Date: 4/20/24 5:46 pm
From: Lisa Myers via groups.io <lisa...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] A Los Gatos morning birding for SCVAS
Hi all -

Led my "Los Gatos Birdwatcher" SCVAS Birdathon team this morning. It was
a 4 hour adventure. We spent the first two hours on the Los Gatos Creek
Trail south of the Main Street Bridge. While we hoped for an American
Dipper we never saw one. While here we did watch nest building NORTHERN
ROUGH-WINGED SWALLOWS. CEDAR WAXWINGS were also here in numbers. One
STELLER JAY was the only jay we found all morning. We did have a few
WARBLING VIREOS in view and singing. All in all it was rather quiet
along the creek.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S169538589

We then moved over to Vasona County Park. We did not find anything
un-expected and added 30 new species to our list including a SPOTTED
SANDPIPER working its way along the shore. A GREEN HERON flew by and we
also watched an AMERICAN COOT fly the distance of the reservoir. Ya
don't see that everyday. An ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRD was feeding a chick in
the nest. The chick fully feathered actually fledged before our eyes. We
found a WILSON'S WARBLER high in an oak and only one YELLOW-RUMPED
WARBLER today. One of the GREAT-HORNED OWLS was clearly in view as it
sat in the eucalyptus above the camp host. The goslings are around now
following their parents. We ended with 57 species.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S169539587

We had 16 participants out there today. The youngest in 3rd grade and
the oldest probably has a grandchild in 3rd grade. A great group to
share sightings and knowledge amongst each other and those passing by.
Letting "civilians" look through a scope at a great bird is always fun.

Thank you to all supporting our efforts for SCVAS. And you have more
time to support this years birdathon and many more weeks to get
involved. Check it out = https://scvas.org/birdathon

Lisa Myers
Los Gatos Birdwatcher/Let's Go Birding

View/Reply Online (#28168): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28168
South Bay Birds is maintained by the Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society (https://scvas.org) and its volunteers.
Our website, https://scvas.org/siliconvalleybirding, contains content guidelines, the SBB code of conduct, and additional information.

Do not disclose information that identifies the location of nesting birds of any species, to minimize stress on the nesting birds and the risk of vandalism or abuse.

Birding events in and near Santa Clara County: https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds-events/ .
Discussions: Facebook group Santa Clara County Birding (https://www.facebook.com/groups/110996713065201/) and a Discord Server (https://discord.gg/NteQSY3Tn8).
SCVAS self-guided field trips, maps and descriptions: https://scvas.org/self-guided-field-trips
SCVAS Salt Pond Map: https://scvas.org/salt-ponds-of-santa-clara-county