Date: 4/20/24 5:36 pm
From: Ann Verdi via groups.io <aeverdi235...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Almaden Eagles Birdathon report - Fri, Apr 19
On Friday, April 19, the Almaden Eagles team did our annual Spring
Birdathon. We are an all-woman team and do our counting using the
"distributed" option with each member selecting their own area and/or place
to count at their own time and pace. This year's team includes Janna
Pauser, Kirsten Holmquist, Marion Farber, Linda Sullivan, Bobbie Baker and
Ann Verdi.

We ended up with a total of 114 species this year. Rather than go through a
long list of birds seen and heard, I just want to highlight special
birds seen by each team member.

Two of the team members cover fairly large areas, so I want to start with
them first:

Janna Pauser covers most of the Almaden area including Hicks and Alamitos
Roads and always comes up with a substantial number of species seen and
heard, including ASH-THROATED FLYCATCHER, BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLER,
TOWNSEND'S WARBLER, CASSIN'S VIREO and more.. This year she had a
PHAINOPEPLA at Casa Grande in New Almaden, Also, in the early evening she
got COMMON POORWILL on the road leading up to IBM.

Kirsten Holmquist covers much of the area south of Almaden proper - part of
Stile Ranch Trail at Santa Teresa (ROCK WREN, WHITE-TAILED KITE), Calero
Reservoir (OSPREY, 4 grebe species including EARED GREBE, 5 swallow species
including BARN and CLIFF, and two tern species (CASPIAN and FORSTER'S). At
Canada del Oro her finds included OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER, W. WOOD-PEWEE, W.
FLYCATCHER, W. KINGBIRD and HUTtON'S VIREO. In Coyote Valley, she added
YELLOW-BILLED MAGPIE and YELLOW WARBLER.

Linda Sullivan joined us this year to cover the Santa Clara Valley Water
District and Guadalupe Oak Grove Park. Unfortunately the Water District had
decided to drain the entire main pond and do maintenance on the smaller
mitigation pond at this time - so what to do? As a true birder, Linda
decided to go ahead with it anyway, and somehow the birding god (goddess)
looked down on her and sent a magnificent adult BALD EAGLE to survey the
situation thereby causing the workmen to stop what they were doing to see
what was going on.

Linda also joined others, including Janna, to check Santa Teresa later in
the day to view some of the birds there - LAZULI BUNTING, RUFOUS-CROWNED
SPARROW, RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD, and also found a GOLDEN EAGLE. So that makes
for a two eagle day for the Almaden Eagle team.

Marion Farber checked the Los Capitancillos Ponds again this year, and
happily has reported that a female WOOD DUCK is now caring for her young
brood in the easternmost pond west of Meridian again.

Bobbie Baker saw the GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE at Almaden Lake who seems
to want to hang on here a while longer. We were hoping this goose would
still be here, and so it was.

Ann Verdi counted at the Greystone Park and was able to come up with a
furtive RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH in the tall evergreen trees there - the only
one seen for our day.

So - there you have it - another successful and somewhat unique day for our
annual Birdathon. We hope to try it again next year.

Ann Verdi
San Jose

View/Reply Online (#28167): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28167
South Bay Birds is maintained by the Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society (https://scvas.org) and its volunteers.
Our website, https://scvas.org/siliconvalleybirding, contains content guidelines, the SBB code of conduct, and additional information.

Do not disclose information that identifies the location of nesting birds of any species, to minimize stress on the nesting birds and the risk of vandalism or abuse.

Birding events in and near Santa Clara County: https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds-events/ .
Discussions: Facebook group Santa Clara County Birding (https://www.facebook.com/groups/110996713065201/) and a Discord Server (https://discord.gg/NteQSY3Tn8).
SCVAS self-guided field trips, maps and descriptions: https://scvas.org/self-guided-field-trips
SCVAS Salt Pond Map: https://scvas.org/salt-ponds-of-santa-clara-county