Date: 4/14/24 7:12 pm
From: Jon Woolf <jswoolf01...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] NH Audubon Spring Pelagic Birding Trip 2024
Listfolk,

Spring is here, so it must be time for Massabesic Audubon Center's
Spring Pelagic Birding Trip!

WHAT:  An all-day trip into the Gulf of Maine, looking for pelagic birds
(although we'll also check out any whales and other marine life that we
encounter).   As always, we've chartered the whale-watching boat
/Granite State/ for this day of birding along Jeffreys Ledge and
wherever else the birds may lead us.  Steve Mirick will be on the
microphone, Jane Mirick will be helping spot birds, and our hosts will
be the highly skilled and experienced Captain Pete Reynolds and his
crew.  We'll leave dockside at 8am and stay at sea the whole day.  We
should return to Rye Harbor around 5pm.

WHEN: Monday, May 27 (Memorial Day).

WHERE: Meet dockside at Rye Harbor at 7:30AM for an 8:00AM departure.

WHAT TO BRING: Binoculars, of course.  Plan on bringing a lunch;
/Granite State/'s on-board snack bar will be open, but it serves
primarily snack foods.  A digital camera if you have one -- these trips
often produce excellent photo opportunities for both birds and whales.
Weather on the open water is unpredictable, so dress warm, in multiple
layers in case you get too warm and need to take off a layer.  Certainly
bring sunscreen, and either sunglasses or a hat.  Bring motion-sickness
pills if you're vulnerable to seasickness. /Granite State/'s seating is
mostly wooden benches, so a seat cushion is a good idea if you have
trouble with sitting on hard surfaces.

WHAT TO EXPECT: Hopefully, good weather and lots of interesting birds!
Every trip is different, of course, but past spring trips have produced
Northern Gannets, Wilson's Storm-petrels, Great and Sooty shearwaters,
Northern Fulmars, Red-necked Phalaropes in breeding plumage (a rare and
impressive sight indeed), a number of migrants, and a number of
near-shore species.  We often get good looks at Common and Roseate Terns
from the White/Seavey Island tern colony, and Black Guillemots also
appear around the Isles of Shoals most years.  We've also gotten good
looks at several whales of various species.  In 2017 we got a
once-in-a-lifetime gem: a wandering BOWHEAD whale!

REGISTRATION: You must register in advance for this trip.  We need a
minimum of 30 people to pay for the trip.  We've capped group size at 50
to make sure the boat doesn't get too crowded. Sadly, there has been one
unpleasant change:  due to increased costs, we've been forced to raise
the price a little.  A ticket will now cost $80 for NH Audubon members,
$100 for non-members.

To sign up, please use the NH Audubon website:
https://www.nhaudubon.org/event/jeffreys-ledge-pelagic-birding-trip-may-2024/

Contact either NHA or me with any questions you might have. When you
sign up, *please* be certain that you leave a phone number where you can
be contacted on Sunday May 26, in case we have to cancel due to
weather.  There is no rain date; we go on the 27th, or not at all.

To go with the trip, I will be running a 1-hour workshop from 6:30pm to
7:30pm on Thursday May 23, as a basic introduction to the most common
pelagic birds and how to identify them.  Since we generally see both
whales and birds on these trips, the workshop also includes information
on the common whales of the Gulf of Maine.  This will be a virtual
workshop, conducted online via a Zoom conference.  It's free to anyone
who has signed up for the trip on Monday; otherwise, the workshop will
cost $5 for NHA members and $6 for non-members.  It has a separate
sign-up link:
https://www.nhaudubon.org/event/introduction-to-pelagic-wildlife-webinar-may-2024/
<https://www.nhaudubon.org/event/introduction-to-pelagic-wildlife/>

If you want to sign up, please hurry -- there aren't many spots left,
and they're going fast!

My thanks go out to all who have made these trips a success in past
years, and I hope to see you again this year ... along with as many new
faces as we can fit!  :-)

-- Jon Woolf
Manchester, NH
(Massabesic Audubon Center Volunteer)