Date: 4/14/24 5:06 pm
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Plum Island MA (14 Apr 2024) 94 Raptors

Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 23:16:37 +0000
From: <reports...>
Subject: Plum Island MA (14 Apr 2024) 94 Raptors

Merlin 5 16 24
Peregrine Falcon 0 2 3
Unknown Accipiter 1 1 2
Unknown Buteo 1 1 1
Unknown Falcon 0 2 2
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 1 1 2

Total: 94 219 323

Observation start time: 07:00:00 Observation end time: 15:00:00 Total
observation time: 7.5 hours

Official Counter: Bob Secatore

Observers: Amy Maurer, Brian Rusnica, Dan Rossman, Harris Stein,
Harry Wales, Herrrick Wales, Janet Kovner, John Cannizzo,
Judd Nathan, Kathryn Chihowski, Mark Schoene,
Mark Timmerman, Paul Roberts, Peter Duffy

Visitors:
Our great crew of dedicated observers today (more or less in order of
appearance on site) Janet Kovner, Judd Nathan, Amy Mauer, Brian Rusnica,
Paul Roberts, Harry and Herrick Wales, Mark Schoene, Kathryn Chihowski,
Mark Timmerman, Pete Duffy, Dan Rossman, John Cannizzo and Harris Stein.

Visitors: Julie Roberts, Andrea Cannizzo, Tom Wetmore, Sue McGrath, Cliff
Cook, Fred Bouchard and Tom & Karen Gothchang.

Weather:
West wind of moderate velocity all day with temps in the mid 40s to high
50s. Very variable cloud cover.

Raptor Observations:
We were fortunate in having a moderate west wind all day that helped ensure
a fairly good flight of 94 birds. As expected at this point in the season,
Kestrels made up a goodly portion of our tally with 33 birds counted. And
Sharpies also made a decent showing with 22 of them recorded. A single
Broad-winged Hawk also came in at a high elevation during the 11 o'clock
hour, so high in fact that we had to take a close look at a telephoto shot
to ascertain its identity. Broad-wings are pretty rare out here on the
island and we were more than glad to have it make an appearance.
Raptors that failed to migrate: 3 BEs (2 juv and 1 adult), several NH
including one adult male and several OS including a few local nesters.

Non-raptor Observations:
Birds: Grackles, Tree Swallows, 2 Barn Swallows, 1 Fish Crow, 3 Ravens, 1
Snowy Egret, 4 Great Egrets, 2 Northern Gannets and a fairly steady flow of
small (mostly warbler size) passerines during the first few hours.

Predictions:
Weak WNW winds early on but strengthening somewhat and turning into the
west as the watch progresses. Sunny to partly cloudy all day.
Report submitted by Robert Secatore (<rs8843829...>)
Plum Island MA information may be found at:
http://www.massbird.org/emhw

More site information at hawkcount.org:
https://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=115

Join us on Facebook!