FLORIDABIRDS-L
Received From Subject
3/28/24 10:32 am James Wheat <james.a.wheat...> Re: [FLORIDABIRDS-L] Birding Hotspots Website

Back to top
Date: 3/28/24 10:32 am
From: James Wheat <james.a.wheat...>
Subject: Re: [FLORIDABIRDS-L] Birding Hotspots Website
Hello all,

I'm following up on my previous post, from last year, to announce that
the Birding
Hotspots Florida <https://birdinghotspots.org/region/US-FL> section is up
and running on the *Birding Hotspots* website! Please take a moment and
check it out. Of course, at this early stage, there is precious little
content.

*Here is a link to give you some examples of what it can look like for your
favorite Florida hotspots*:
https://birdinghotspots.org/region/US-FL/hotspots?content=Yes

My request to you is threefold:
1. Please take a look at some of the completed hotspot pages in Florida
2. Consider updating a few hotspots that you know well by clicking the *Suggest
Edit* link and completing as much of the simple form as possible
3. Consider becoming an editor for your county, and review suggestions and
photos for publication (as well as editing hotspots yourself)

If you have any questions or are interested in lending your expertise to
this project, please complete the contact form
<https://birdinghotspots.org/contact> to connect with Ken Ostermiller.

Thank you for your consideration, and go birding!

James

On Tue, Apr 11, 2023 at 3:46 PM James Wheat <james.a.wheat...> wrote:

> Hello Florida Birders, [this is NOT a solicitation or a commercial
> message of any kind]
>
> I'm a long-time Florida birder that had to relocate out of state several
> years ago. I came across a website designed to provide birders accurate,
> on-the-ground information about each eBird hotspot in an area. While eBird
> compiles great data on the birds that have occurred in a hotspot, it says
> nothing about parking, trails, habitats, restrooms, and other important
> information for birders who are deciding whether to bird at a hotspot.
> https://birdinghotspots.org
>
> This crowd-sourced site can benefit FL birders immensely. For example,
> there are many hotspots that are on private property, and there are
> specific guidelines one must follow so as not to ruin access privileges
> granted by property owners who allow birders to (conditionally) visit. I
> know this website would be appreciated by FL birders, so I wanted to
> mention it to find, hopefully, a few regional editors who would review and
> approve user-suggested verbiage for their favorite eBird hotspots.
>
> Ken Ostermiller is the man behind the website, and his state of Ohio is
> the most fleshed-out among the 17 states present on the website. To get the
> best idea of what this could look like for FL, check out the OH pages. To
> contact Ken for more, use the Contact Form on the website.
>
> Thank you for your consideration,
>
> James
> --
> *James A. Wheat*
> *President, KY Ornithological Society *
> *Regional Editor, KY CBCs*
> *Regional Editor, Birding Hotspots (KY)*

*Taylorsville KY*

--
*James A. Wheat*
*Regional Editor, Birding Hotspots (KY)*

To write listowners: <FLORIDABIRDS-L-REQUEST...>