NFLbirds
Received From Subject
4/18/24 10:43 am 'bendy32309' via NFLbirds <nflbirds...> RE: [NFLbirds] Western kingbird Miccosukee greenway
4/18/24 9:37 am 'Tom and Lisa Jackson' via NFLbirds <nflbirds...> [NFLbirds] Western kingbird Miccosukee greenway
4/16/24 5:35 pm Harry Hooper <hbhooper...> [NFLbirds] Red-headed
4/14/24 5:34 am 'C or M Johnstone' via NFLbirds <nflbirds...> [NFLbirds] Nest cavity article
4/9/24 12:40 pm Galveston Ornithological Society <galornsoc...> RE: [NFLbirds] Sandpiper ID question
4/9/24 12:18 pm WILLIAM PHELAN <wmjphelan...> [NFLbirds] Sandpiper ID question
4/4/24 7:22 am Galveston Ornithological Society <galornsoc...> RE: [NFLbirds] Analysis of yesterday's coastal birding
4/3/24 7:26 pm <featherhead58...> <featherhead58...> Re: [NFLbirds] Today's weather
4/3/24 7:18 pm 'eliza hawkins' via NFLbirds <nflbirds...> Re: [NFLbirds] Today's weather
4/2/24 2:07 pm Fran Rutkovsky <franrutkovsky...> [NFLbirds] Bullock's Oriole
4/1/24 9:38 am 'Squirrel cuckoo' via NFLbirds <nflbirds...> Re: [NFLbirds] Week's birding propects
3/31/24 4:04 pm Larry Goodman <lrgoodman...> Re: [NFLbirds] Flycatcher book companion
3/31/24 9:58 am Galveston Ornithological Society <galornsoc...> RE: [NFLbirds] Flycatcher book companion
3/31/24 9:17 am Harry Hooper <hbhooper...> [NFLbirds] Flycatcher book companion

Back to top
Date: 4/18/24 10:43 am
From: 'bendy32309' via NFLbirds <nflbirds...>
Subject: RE: [NFLbirds] Western kingbird Miccosukee greenway
Saw it.  Thanks for reporting.Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: 'Tom and Lisa Jackson' via NFLbirds <nflbirds...> Date: 4/18/24 12:37 PM (GMT-05:00) To: Nflbirds <nflbirds...> Subject: [NFLbirds] Western kingbird Miccosukee greenway
Now at the Edenfield entrance. Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

Back to top
Date: 4/18/24 9:37 am
From: 'Tom and Lisa Jackson' via NFLbirds <nflbirds...>

Date: 4/16/24 5:35 pm
From: Harry Hooper <hbhooper...>
Subject: [NFLbirds] Red-headed
Evening nflbirders,

Daily bird counts in our backyard have averaged 17 to 21 species during the last couple of weeks. The Chippers and Goldfinch appear to have exited the area. A few Yellow-rumped Warblers are still actively feeding on the grape jelly, bark butter and seed trays. We had a nice addition last Friday afternoon, a Blue Grosbeak. But the bird moved on.

Today's special visitor was an adult Red-headed Woodpecker. The bird appeared around 3:15 this afternoon and disappeared for an hour before reappearing. Hopefully this beautiful bird will stay around and possibly nest in the area of our home We briefly had a Red-headed in our backyard April 7th of last year. But it didn't stay.
This Red-headed dominated the two tray feeders and chased or stood its ground against the blue jays and red-bellied woodpeckers. Tough rascal!

Attached are several photos of the Red-headed and one of a male Yellow-rumped tagged as a "mad" yellow-rumped and a female summer tanager.

Bird species documented today are:
*Mourning Dove: 3
*Common Ground-Dove: 3
*Ruby-throated Hummingbird: 1 male
*Red-headed Woodpecker: 1
*Red-bellied Woodpecker: 2 (male / female)
*Downy Woodpecker: 2 (male / female)
*Great Crested Flycatcher: 1
*Blue Jay: 4
*American Crow: 3
*Carolina Chickadee: 2
*Tufted Titmouse: 1
*White-breasted Nuthatch: 1
*Carolina Wren: 2
*Brown Thrasher: 1
*Northern Parula: 2 (male / female)
*Yellow-rumped Warbler: 3
*Summer Tanager: 2 (male / female)
*Northern Cardinal: 11 (male-5 / female-6)
*Red-winged Blackbird: 2
(*Common Grackle: 1

Harry Hooper
Tallahassee

Back to top
Date: 4/14/24 5:34 am
From: 'C or M Johnstone' via NFLbirds <nflbirds...>
Subject: [NFLbirds] Nest cavity article
A friend sent me this article from Jim Mcgrath, who with his wife, Carol McGrath, run a first rate natural history education business in Michigan. Harry Hooper has previously mentioned his choice to leave the trunks of trees that needed to be removed and I had done the same a few years ago on my little 0.6 acre subdivision lot. I thought this was a very well-written article on natural cavities and might inspire some of us to go a little farther in letting natural processes run their course (even if our neighbors might think it messy).

The following looks like a link, but downloaded as a pdf on my tablet. Matt Johnstone

http://naturediscovery.net/pdf/WILD%20TIMES%20Apr24.pdf

Back to top
Date: 4/9/24 12:40 pm
From: Galveston Ornithological Society <galornsoc...>
Subject: RE: [NFLbirds] Sandpiper ID question
Your picture of the same bird and posture three times is a Lesser
Yellowlegs. I suspect the additional bird with its back to us is a Stilt
Sandpiper. JS

_____

Date: 4/4/24 7:22 am
From: Galveston Ornithological Society <galornsoc...>
Subject: RE: [NFLbirds] Analysis of yesterday's coastal birding
You came up short in West Florida?

Buddy, we in Texas got you beat. The day before we were awash with warblers
and other passerines arriving from the Tropics. Suddenly that damn west wind
started blowing overnight and the biggest thing in our trees was mosquitoes.

I hate it when yall get even with us! :-(

Jim in Birdless Galveston

_____

Date: 4/3/24 7:26 pm
From: <featherhead58...> <featherhead58...>
Subject: Re: [NFLbirds] Today's weather
Wow! Congrats!!

Back to top

Date: 4/2/24 2:07 pm
From: Fran Rutkovsky <franrutkovsky...>
Subject: [NFLbirds] Bullock's Oriole
Hi all:

A female Bullock's Oriole has been visiting our feeders and birdbath off and on since March 20. Some of you may remember that we hosted one every winter 2006-2010, verified by many human visitors. I'll attach some photos taken with my little point & shoot camera, which is not very good for distance shots. I've had various Baltimore Orioles in and out since last fall.

She's pale gray with color on the head and tail. I recall when I first saw one here, Feb. 2006, I thought it was an unusual Mockingbird. I told the late Jack Dozier, who was the FL monitor for the Great Backyard Bird Count that year, and he said "Consider Bullock's and the Sally & Dean there ASAP." Each year she (or another one) would arrive in early Jan. and leave about mid-April. She was more colorful by April than in January. Always fun to have something different.

--------
Fran Rutkovsky
Tallahassee, FL
<franrutkovsky...>

Back to top
Date: 4/1/24 9:38 am
From: 'Squirrel cuckoo' via NFLbirds <nflbirds...>
Subject: Re: [NFLbirds] Week's birding propects
Thank you Bob! Your insights regarding spring migration are always very informative and helpful.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Monday, April 1, 2024, 11:44 AM, Lucy and Bob Duncan <robertaduncan...> wrote:

Hi all,
Currently, it's pretty dull in Gulf Breeze, not a single migrant this a.m., except Parula and WE Vireo, both probably left over from last week's movements. Not much should change today, with birds unimpeded by either rain or headwinds, their destination inland locations but not the coast. Except for a few that might trickle out.
The next weather event will be a cold front entering our area on Tuesday night with winds shifting to NW 10 - 20 knots for Wednesday and Thursday. This  is good news for Pensacola and Tallahassee birders as Trans-Gulf migrants should be vectored more toward our coast rather than the usual Texas - SW LA landfall. This front will not be accompanied by heavy weather in the Gulf as the squall line should not extend far into the Gulf. Hence, no classic fallout expected.
So my best guess is that the best birding days will be Wednesday afternoon and Thursday, especially areas to the east of LA. Late arrivals should be expected since birds will experience headwinds, maybe coming in overnight rather than the expected late morning - afternoon arrivals.
Once the front reaches the southern Gulf, it will hinder further migration north, but I don't know if that will be the case. If it does, then prospects for the weekend will not be good.
And that is my best guess.
 Bob DuncanGulf Breeze, FL

Back to top
Date: 3/31/24 4:04 pm
From: Larry Goodman <lrgoodman...>
Subject: Re: [NFLbirds] Flycatcher book companion

Back to top
Date: 3/31/24 9:58 am
From: Galveston Ornithological Society <galornsoc...>
Cin Ty Lee (author) has spent a fair amount of time photographing in my yard
and studying empids, especially. He is an outstanding birder, very observant
and profound. I have pored over his emails and learned some neat things
about empids. He even went through all my empid photos from my yard (about
80+-) and suggested 2-3 errors in ID (not easy to do without calls). He is
the real deal and a devoted teacher, taking students around on weekends
(imagine that!). In short, if his name is on it, get it.

Jim in Galveston

_____