NFLbirds
Received From Subject
12/2/19 2:04 am John Murphy <southmoonunder...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] Fall reports for FFN
12/1/19 2:28 pm 'Galveston Ornithological Society' <galornsoc...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] receive Antarctic pictures
12/1/19 1:45 pm 'C or M Johnstone' <anhinga...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] Am. Flamingo update - N. end of Mounds #3
12/1/19 1:30 pm 'C or M Johnstone' <anhinga...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] SMNWR 12-1, Am. Flamingo
11/30/19 12:44 pm 'C or M Johnstone' <anhinga...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] SMNWR 11-30, Limpkin, Henslow's Sparrow
11/30/19 7:45 am 'Lucy and Bob Duncan' <robertaduncan...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] GF Woodpecker
11/30/19 2:20 am 'Galveston Ornithological Society' <galornsoc...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> RE: [nflbirds] Golden-fronted Woodpeckers in TLH?
11/30/19 1:46 am Melissa Forehand <birdingtreefrog...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> Re: [nflbirds] Golden-fronted Woodpeckers in TLH?
11/27/19 4:26 pm Kathleen Carr <kecarr803...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] Golden-fronted Woodpeckers in TLH?
11/27/19 3:42 pm 'Galveston Ornithological Society' <galornsoc...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> RE: [nflbirds] mystery bird
11/27/19 11:27 am Harry Hooper <hbhooper...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] mystery bird
11/27/19 11:26 am Don Morrow <donaldcmorrow...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> Re: [nflbirds] mystery bird
11/20/19 10:23 am Harry Hooper <sn_egret...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] New Yard Bird !!!
11/19/19 1:04 pm 'C or M Johnstone' <anhinga...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] SMNWR 11/19, Mid-day
11/17/19 1:42 pm Matt Johnstone <anhinga...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] Indigo Bunting, Leon Co
11/13/19 8:45 am Fran <franrutkovsky...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> Re: [nflbirds] Tallahassee Cold - lots of FOS
11/12/19 1:55 pm sunny phillips <sunny_phillips...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> Re: [nflbirds] Tallahassee Cold - lots of FOS
11/12/19 1:44 pm sunny phillips <sunny_phillips...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> Re: [nflbirds] Tallahassee Cold - lots of FOS
11/12/19 1:36 pm Wolfgang Adolph <weadolph...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> Re: [nflbirds] Tallahassee Cold - lots of FOS
11/12/19 1:19 pm sunny phillips <sunny_phillips...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] Tallahassee Cold - lots of FOS
11/11/19 3:01 pm Don Morrow <donaldcmorrow...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] SMNWR -- Monday Morning
11/11/19 1:03 pm 'C or M Johnstone' <anhinga...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] SMNWR, 11-11, Black Ducks, etc
11/9/19 5:12 pm Don Morrow <donaldcmorrow...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] SMNWR --- Saturday Morning
11/8/19 5:52 pm '<dotrobbins...>' <dotrobbins...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] Re: [BRDBRAIN] Florida CBCs
11/8/19 11:04 am '<dotrobbins...>' <dotrobbins...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] Florida CBCs
11/7/19 4:20 pm 'Tara Tanaka' <h2otara...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> RE: [nflbirds] Help with ebird?????
11/7/19 3:10 pm <cyanoci799...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] Ebird
11/7/19 2:53 pm 'Galveston Ornithological Society' <galornsoc...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> RE: [nflbirds] Help with ebird?????
11/7/19 2:44 pm Don Morrow <donaldcmorrow...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] Fwd: Temporary outage of Cornell Lab services
11/7/19 2:42 pm Don Morrow <donaldcmorrow...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> Re: [nflbirds] Help with ebird?????
11/7/19 2:25 pm <cyanoci799...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] Help with ebird?????
11/7/19 2:14 pm <cyanoci799...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] Help with ebird?????
11/6/19 11:41 am Bruce Bodjack <bbodjack...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> Re: [nflbirds] Bird ID help request
11/5/19 1:19 pm Bruce Bodjack <bbodjack...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] Bird ID help request

Back to top
Date: 12/2/19 2:04 am
From: John Murphy <southmoonunder...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] Fall reports for FFN

Big Bend Birders,

I am currently accepting reports of significant Fall (1 August - 30 November) sightings from the Big Bend (Gadsden, Liberty, Gulf, Franklin, Wakulla, Leon, Jefferson, Taylor, Dixie, Lafayette, Madison & Hamilton counties) for possible publication in FLORIDA FIELD NATURALIST & NORTH AMERICAN BIRDS. Please use the following format, listing observations in phylogenetic order:

Species
Number of individuals
Location
Date
Observer(s)

Additionally, please include field notes, detailed description or photographs of any rare species, or species which present an identification challenge.

If you have any questions, please contact me at <southmoonunder...>

Thanks very much.

John Murphy
Alligator Pt, FL

Back to top
Date: 12/1/19 2:28 pm
From: 'Galveston Ornithological Society' <galornsoc...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] receive Antarctic pictures

One of you Tallahassee people wrote and wanted to see some pictures of
Antarctica life, etc. If you write me at <galornsoc...> I will put
you on my bird picture list. December will be largely Antarctica.

Of course, it's free and nobody gets your email.

Just ask to be removed and I will do so. If you wish to stay on, that's
fine.

PDFs start about Wednesday, twice a week.

Jim in the Drake Passage

Back to top
Date: 12/1/19 1:45 pm
From: 'C or M Johnstone' <anhinga...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] Am. Flamingo update - N. end of Mounds #3
The bird is currently at the north end of Mounds #3, visible from the end of the "T" dike.

Back to top
Date: 12/1/19 1:30 pm
From: 'C or M Johnstone' <anhinga...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] SMNWR 12-1, Am. Flamingo
My wife, Cyndi, just called from the refuge and someone showed her pics of a flamingo taken this evening in the refuge. The folks who took the pic were first time in the refuge and did not know all of the pool names but it seems to be south end of Mounds#1. Cyndi is on the hunt and I'll post any info she provides.

Back to top
Date: 11/30/19 12:44 pm
From: 'C or M Johnstone' <anhinga...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] SMNWR 11-30, Limpkin, Henslow's Sparrow
Incidental to a bicycle ride out to Pinhook Bridge, made a brief foray into the helispot and found a reasonably cooperative Henslow's. Yesterday, doing more extensive tramping around, had no luck with Henslow's and perhaps even worse luck with the LeConte's previously reported by David Houle and John Groskopf - that is, I had a couple of brief, up and down looks at an orangish sparrow which I gave up on because I didn't want to harass it.

The Limpkin, my first for the refuge, was located on 105 Rd. (aka "Tram Rd" or "primitive walking trails") at the concrete bridge 2.95 miles east of the entry gate. Watched it for several minutes from 10-15 yards. Did not see it on the trip back from Pinhook. Matt

Back to top
Date: 11/30/19 7:45 am
From: 'Lucy and Bob Duncan' <robertaduncan...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] GF Woodpecker
Hi all,

We have one record of Golden-front over here, 4 April 1981, a bird in east
Pensacola that stayed through Feb 1982. Xanthrochroism was ruled out by the
FOSRC based on plumage differences compared to Red-belly.

Bob Duncan

Gulf Breeze

Back to top
Date: 11/30/19 2:20 am
From: 'Galveston Ornithological Society' <galornsoc...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: RE: [nflbirds] Golden-fronted Woodpeckers in TLH?
Melissa is quite correct about that, but in very rare instances birds with red will have it displayed as yellow because of a condition called xanthothroism. Basically, it would make the subject look like a golden-fronted rather than the red-bellied. Given that most wdpkrs are nonmigratory, it is a likely explanation for birds seen out of place.

Melissa’s point about pictures is also a good one!

Jim, in Antarctica

_____

Date: 11/30/19 1:46 am
From: Melissa Forehand <birdingtreefrog...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Kathleen
A golden fronted woodpecker should not be here. Pictures are always good.
Thank you
Melissa forehand
Tallahassee

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 27, 2019, at 7:25 PM, Kathleen Carr <kecarr803...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> wrote:
>

> Someone has contacted Apalachee Audubon inquiring whether Golden-fronted Woodpeckers are ever seen in the Tallahassee area. Ebird shows reports of sightings in Pensacola. Anybody ever hear of one being seen in TLH? The bird is coming to his feeder and he’s going to try and get a photo. He seems familiar with the species and thinks that the call is Golden-fronted.
>
> Kathleen Carr
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 11/27/19 4:26 pm
From: Kathleen Carr <kecarr803...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] Golden-fronted Woodpeckers in TLH?
Someone has contacted Apalachee Audubon inquiring whether Golden-fronted Woodpeckers are ever seen in the Tallahassee area. Ebird shows reports of sightings in Pensacola. Anybody ever hear of one being seen in TLH? The bird is coming to his feeder and he’s going to try and get a photo. He seems familiar with the species and thinks that the call is Golden-fronted.

Kathleen Carr

Sent from my iPhone

------------------------------------
Posted by: Kathleen Carr <kecarr803...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
<nflbirds-digest...>
<nflbirds-fullfeatured...>

<nflbirds-unsubscribe...>

Back to top
Date: 11/27/19 3:42 pm
From: 'Galveston Ornithological Society' <galornsoc...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: RE: [nflbirds] mystery bird
Harry's suspicions that his bird was an Orange-crowned Warbler were quite
correct, as he sent me four images.

Given that I am currently in Antarctica, I believe we have a new migration
record for this species.

Jim

_____

Date: 11/27/19 11:27 am
From: Harry Hooper <hbhooper...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Nflbirders,

Need some avian ID assistance. This warbler was bathing for a couple of minutes in our brook around 1320hr today. Being totally disheveled while bathing, we were not able to put good field marks together. Our semi-educated suggestion is for an Orange-crowned Warbler. Note the yellowish orange coloration of the crown feathers.

Any assistance would be most appreciated.

Harry Hooper
Tallahassee, Florida

------------------------------------
Posted by: Harry Hooper <hbhooper...>

Date: 11/27/19 11:26 am
From: Don Morrow <donaldcmorrow...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Harry, nflbirds does not include attachments in emails.

On Wed, Nov 27, 2019 at 2:12 PM Harry Hooper <hbhooper...>
[nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> wrote:

> Nflbirders,
>
> Need some avian ID assistance. This warbler was bathing for a couple of
> minutes in our brook around 1320hr today. Being totally disheveled while
> bathing, we were not able to put good field marks together. Our
> semi-educated suggestion is for an Orange-crowned Warbler. Note the
> yellowish orange coloration of the crown feathers.
>
> Any assistance would be most appreciated.
>
> Harry Hooper
> Tallahassee, Florida

Don Morrow
<donaldcmorrow...> <donaldcmorow...>
Tallahassee, FL

Back to top
Date: 11/20/19 10:23 am
From: Harry Hooper <sn_egret...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] New Yard Bird !!!
And what a bird it is !!!
Afternoon nflbiders,
Fred Dietrich visited our home this morning and after an hour and a half wait, the hummer entered his trap at 11:20 am.  Fred successfully caught and banded this beautiful little hummer, a hatch year male Calliope.
Keep those hummer feeders out and active!

Date: 11/19/19 1:04 pm
From: 'C or M Johnstone' <anhinga...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] SMNWR 11/19, Mid-day
Starting at about 11:30 at East River Pool -

ERP - Nine species of duck, including a single Am. Black Duck, Roseate Spoonbills, Am. Avocets, Vermilion Fc. A very productive spot, but a scope is a big help.

Tower Pond was empty, almost a relief, because I'm getting weary of scanning through hordes of Dunlin in the vain hope for a Curlew Sandpiper.

The south end of Mounds #3 was very good, with the lone Snow Goose first reported by Daphne Asbell, and subsequently by others, and good numbers of Mallard, Pintail, Wigeon, both expected Teal, Shovelers. The goose was feeding among seven Wh-faced Ibis. I saw about 15 Plegadis today and all were Wh-faced.

Offshore, Com. Loon numbers are increasing, several Horned Grebes were present, and a single group of eight Com. Goldeneye; the last two sps. FOS for me. Best viewing was from Lighthouse Trail at picnic table, looking out around the oyster bars.

Matt

Back to top
Date: 11/17/19 1:42 pm
From: Matt Johnstone <anhinga...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] Indigo Bunting, Leon Co
I wouldn't have bothered posting this had I not seen a couple of eBird reports for this species from Franklin Co today. Apparently late enough to get flagged, so thought any additional sightings might be of some interest. A female made a brief appearance in my yard near Woodville this afternoon. Matt

------------------------------------
Posted by: Matt Johnstone <anhinga...>

Date: 11/13/19 8:45 am
From: Fran <franrutkovsky...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [nflbirds] Tallahassee Cold - lots of FOS
Do you mean Hermit THRUSH?

Sent from XFINITY Connect App

Date: 11/12/19 1:55 pm
From: sunny phillips <sunny_phillips...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Yes. Hermit Thrush. Sorry guys.

🥂 Cheers 🍸
🌞Sunny Phillips and 🐈🦉

> On Nov 12, 2019, at 16:51, eliza hawkins <ehawkins...> wrote:
>
> Sunny a Hermit Warbler would be an astounding find since its primarily a far northwest warbler with limited range. I think you meant hermit thrush. You got Adolf all excited.
>
> Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
>
>> On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 4:44 PM, sunny phillips <sunny_phillips...> [nflbirds]
>> <nflbirds-noreply...> wrote:
>> I’ve reported one every year since 2014. Had 1 a few weeks ago come in with Wood and Swainson’s.
>>

>> 🥂 Cheers 🍸
>> 🌞Sunny Phillips and 🐈🦉
>>

>>> On Nov 12, 2019, at 16:42, Wolfgang Adolph <weadolph...> wrote:
>>>

>> Wow. You should report the Hermit Warbler
>> None has been observed in Florida
>> Wolfgang
>>
>> Get Outlook for Android

Back to top
Date: 11/12/19 1:44 pm
From: sunny phillips <sunny_phillips...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
I’ve reported one every year since 2014. Had 1 a few weeks ago come in with Wood and Swainson’s.

🥂 Cheers 🍸
🌞Sunny Phillips and 🐈🦉

> On Nov 12, 2019, at 16:42, Wolfgang Adolph <weadolph...> wrote:
>

> Wow. You should report the Hermit Warbler
> None has been observed in Florida
> Wolfgang
>
> Get Outlook for Android

Back to top
Date: 11/12/19 1:36 pm
From: Wolfgang Adolph <weadolph...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>

________________________________

Date: 11/11/19 3:01 pm
From: Don Morrow <donaldcmorrow...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] SMNWR -- Monday Morning
Last Thursday I did a shorebird survey with John Murphy. I kept an eBird
list going on the side and ended up with just over 200 ducks seen
incidentally while we were making our rounds. This was a low number for
early November, but numbers go up quickly. Today, I did a duck survey and
ended up with 3,937 ducks of 13 species.

Duck numbers don’t usually go up quite that quickly. Let me explain what
happened. My duck survey route winds around all of the interior ponds and
has two coastal stops; the Lighthouse parking lot and the end of the
Lighthouse Levee Trail. The second coastal stop can be good for Common
Goldeneye and scoters later in the season. I always run the same route in
the same order and with all of the holiday boat traffic expected no ducks.

I had just finished scanning the water with one lone distant Redhead to
show for my efforts, when I saw what I thought was a distant flock of White
Pelicans. I put the scope on them and it turned out to be an immense
straggling flock of ducks. Lines and lines of them. I swung the scope to
the front of the flock and began to estimate by hundreds. My final estimate
was 3,400 birds. I watched them as they came in and dropped in to land on
the bay.

They were much too distant to identify, but I suspect that this was a
migratory flock of Redheads just arriving. Redheads, like most ducks, are
diurnal migrants and about five percent of North American Redheads winter
in Apalachee Bay and adjacent waters, grazing on seagrasses. That may be as
many as 35,000 birds. Quite possible that there were Lesser Scaup mixed in.
It was quite a sight.

The normal part of the duck survey had 537 ducks, mostly Blue-winged Teal
and Redheads, but including seven American Black Ducks. Most of the ducks
were on Mounds Pool III and East River Pool. I had four Common Loons flying
over Stony Bayou II and an Indigo Bunting at the East end of the Double
Dikes.
It was a nice Fall morning with more to follow.

Date: 11/11/19 1:03 pm
From: 'C or M Johnstone' <anhinga...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] SMNWR, 11-11, Black Ducks, etc
Except for the heavy refuge traffic in a big hurry to get to the lighthouse or the SW boat ramp, another satisfying day of birding at the refuge. In fact, unless the weather is utterly wretched, you'd be hard pressed to not have a good birding day at the refuge right now.

East River Pool, viewed from the fishing pier - One Am. Black Duck in the company of a female Mallard (if too much of this goes on, you hard core listers are going to lose a species), many Blue-winged Teal (including the leucistic individual that's been around for several days; it is light beige - nearly white - with some faint darker beige mottling), Ring-necked Duck, and I'm sure some other duck species could have been found had I not been distracted by 18 Am. Avocets, 6 Roseate Spoonbill, a Sora that was wandering around in the open, White Pelicans, and a fine array of the expected herons and egrets. The Vermilion Flycatcher was posing shamelessly.

A walk out the double dikes and then out between SB #1 and #2 to the outer levee was not very productive. An Am. Bittern between the dikes near Lighthouse Road was the best bird. SB #2 - hot last year - is virtually empty, but did have a single female/first year male Bufflehead.

Mounds Pool #1 - the best action was near the bench, with all three species of ibis, herons and egrets, BW Teal, and both Scaup

Tower Pond - the usual assemblage of 1500+ shorebirds. Once again, Least Sandpipers (1) strangely absent from the higher mudflats. Bl-bellied and Semi-palm Plovers, Marbled Godwits, both dowitchers, G. Yellowlegs, Willets, W.. Sandpiper, and of course many hundreds of Dunlin. The only unexpected shorebird was a single Red Knot. For the next few days, because of very high tides, Tower Pond may be flooded and have no shorebird habitat about 3 hours after high tide in the bay. A stiff north wind could nullify that, however.

South end of Mounds #3 - Duck numbers are down a bit my last couple trips to this spot. Many Redhead, Bl-w Teal, a few Pintail, Gr-w Teal, about 10 Mallards, and, walking north to the second area of open water, two Am. Black Ducks.

Lighthouse Pool - Lots of resting Willets, Ruddy Turnstones, two Am. Oystercatchers, several Bl. Skimmers, Forster's Terns; 3 Bufflehead and a few scaup sp. out in the middle of the pool.

Matt

Back to top
Date: 11/9/19 5:12 pm
From: Don Morrow <donaldcmorrow...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] SMNWR --- Saturday Morning
Every morning is different and unique at St. Marks NWR. On Saturday morning
my plan was to be on the outer levee of Mounds Pool III by first light.
There has been a diverse group of ducks on the South end of the pool and
it’s easily accessible from the Tower Pond trail. I parked at the trailhead
just before 6:00 am and began to walk out. The waxing moon had set early
and I had to feel for the trail with my feet as I walked out in the starlit
darkness under the oak canopy.

Once I got to the levee that runs along the outside of Tower Pond and began
to walk North, it was easier. The sky was beginning to lighten and the
stars were fading out. There was a brisk wind coming out of the North. It
was cold.

I got to my arbitrarily chosen spot and stopped to wait for the dawn. A
front had passed overnight and although there was a low stratus layer to
the South the sky above was clear. Ducks started flying: Wood Ducks, Hooded
Mergansers and others that I could not identify by silhouette. Bald Eagles
were whistling. They are often the first raptors to move in the morning.

First light is a magical time when color returns and birds begin to move.
To me, that early morning time is like an addictive drug that I keep coming
back to. There is sometimes a clarity and purity in that early dawn sky
that, mixed in with the dawn flight of birds, is a transcendent experience.

There’s a predawn point where it is fully light. I could now identify
Redheads and Mallards flying in. A Belted Kingfisher called and
White-faced, Glossy & White Ibis flew in from the North. I looked up and
saw three larger birds among the ibis. Sandhill Cranes! While I was
scanning the pond for ducks, more cranes came by, their bugling call was
sharp in the cool blue November morning.

The pond had Mallards, Redheads, American Wigeon, a single Northern
Pintail, both Green-winged & Blue-winged Teal, Hooded Merganser,
Pied-billed Grebes and American Coots. Greater Yellowlegs were calling and
a Northern Harrier flew by scaring the wigeon.

Whether you are an early birder or prefer to have a leisurely breakfast
before heading out, there is always good birding at St. Marks. Today, I had
American Avocets on Mounds Pool I, Roseate Spoonbills on East River Pool,
Vermilion Flycatchers at two spots (Tower Pond and the Double Dikes) and a
Cliff Swallow mixed in with the usual wintering Tree Swallows.
Head down to St. Marks and do some Fall birding.

Date: 11/8/19 5:52 pm
From: '<dotrobbins...>' <dotrobbins...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] Re: [BRDBRAIN] Florida CBCs
Another exchange with National Audubon's Kathy Dale: A note will be sent to all compilers early next week to input their date and contact info. This is not just Florida, but nationwide...(and beyond?) Dotty RobbinsHigh Springs
Date: 11/8/19 11:04 am
From: '<dotrobbins...>' <dotrobbins...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] Florida CBCs

Date: 11/7/19 4:20 pm
From: 'Tara Tanaka' <h2otara...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: RE: [nflbirds] Help with ebird?????
We have two regulars, and the other day there were four. We've had a pair for the past two or three winters, this was the first
time I've ever seen four. They are precious and sit and eat in the seed catcher bowl on the millet feeder.

Tara Tanaka

NW Leon County

<http://vimeo.com/h2otara> http://vimeo.com/h2otara

<http://www.flickr.com/photos/focused-on-birds> http://www.flickr.com/photos/focused-on-birds

Date: 11/7/19 3:10 pm
From: <cyanoci799...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] Ebird

Thanks for the help with ebird
Alice

Back to top

Of Don Morrow <donaldcmorrow...> [nflbirds]
Sent: Thursday, November 7, 2019 4:23 PM
To: <cyanoci799...>
Cc: <nflbirds...>

eBird is having problems today. I've had multiple crashes sending from my
computer. My iPhone app won't send saying the data is in the wrong format.

Try waiting til tomorrow and they might fix it..

Date: 11/7/19 2:44 pm
From: Don Morrow <donaldcmorrow...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] Fwd: Temporary outage of Cornell Lab services
Date: 11/7/19 2:42 pm
From: Don Morrow <donaldcmorrow...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>

Date: 11/6/19 11:41 am
From: Bruce Bodjack <bbodjack...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [nflbirds] Bird ID help request
Thanks for all the great help. I appreciate a closer look at the species suggested. It was kind of those who took the time to share their expansive knowledge and insights.

While I would love to always be able to identify every bird sighting, I know it is an impossibility. This is one that will go unidentified. Thanks to your help, I hope to a little better inform, for the next “stumper “ I encounter.

Bruce Bodjack, Panacea FL
Bbodjack @ yahoo.com

> On Nov 5, 2019, at 4:24 PM, Bruce Bodjack <bbodjack...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> wrote:
>

> Had a quick look today at a bird, I could not identify. I hoping to get some input on possibilities.
>
> November 5th, 2019. Around 9AM
> About 60, light breeze, expecting rain.
> Mashes Sands County Park, Panacea Florida.
> Habitat is sawgrass fields next to the gulf. In the ditch next to the road. (Looks like Bottoms Road, or along the road before the Light House at St.. Marks NWR).
> Tide was going out, sawgrass ponds were high water. We often hear clapper rails in this area.
>
> I had a quick look at a round dark bird fly a few feet distance, moving up the ditch, staying low, not breaking sawgrass cover. 6 to 8 inches in size, think Sora. It flew bottom heavy, tail down, more of a flying jump.
>
> One field mark stood out, white patches on the leading edge of the wing, closer to the body then the tips. Smile shape white patches.
>
> First impression was a rail, but I’m unable to find a photo that matches what I saw.
>
> I would enjoy any suggestions.
>
> Bruce Bodjack, Michigan Snowbird wintering in Panacea Florida
> <Bbodjack...>

Back to top
Date: 11/5/19 1:19 pm
From: Bruce Bodjack <bbodjack...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
[...]