NFLbirds
Received From Subject
6/18/19 11:57 am 'C or M Johnstone' <anhinga...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] SMNWR 6-18, Am. Flam., etc
6/18/19 6:10 am 'C or M Johnstone' <anhinga...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] Am Flamingo Alligator Point
6/14/19 10:49 am Don Morrow <donaldcmorrow...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] SMNWR --- Friday Morning
6/13/19 11:50 am 'C or M Johnstone' <anhinga...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] SMNWR 6-13 (juv. ?) White Pelicans
6/9/19 6:12 pm 'C or M Johnstone' <anhinga...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] SMNWR Sunday evening
6/6/19 1:32 pm Don Morrow <donaldcmorrow...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] SMNWR --- Thursday morning
6/6/19 6:39 am 'C or M Johnstone' <anhinga...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> RE: [nflbirds] Elegant Tern question
6/6/19 6:19 am 'Galveston Orntithological Society' <galornsoc...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> RE: [nflbirds] Elegant Tern question
6/6/19 4:25 am 'C or M Johnstone' <anhinga...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] Elegant Tern question
6/1/19 2:16 pm John Murphy <southmoonunder...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> Fwd: [nflbirds] Winter reports for FFN
6/1/19 11:43 am Don Morrow <donaldcmorrow...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] SMNWR --- Saturday Morning
5/30/19 2:31 pm Don Morrow <donaldcmorrow...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] SMNWR --- Thursday morning
5/26/19 6:05 pm David Houle <dhoule...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] Heads up on Zeiss repairs
5/26/19 4:21 am 'C or M Johnstone' <anhinga...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] Heads up on Zeiss repairs

Back to top
Date: 6/18/19 11:57 am
From: 'C or M Johnstone' <anhinga...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] SMNWR 6-18, Am. Flam., etc
With Monday's report and photo of the flamingo at Alligator Point, I thought it worth posting that the Am. Flamingo was present today at 10:20 and again at 12:30-13:00 in NW area of East River Pool. In close company to the flamingo were 10 Roseate Spoonbills (Don Morrow's count), and a dozen or so White Pelicans (at 10:20). Stony Bayou #1 had at least three Reddish Egrets.
On a 14 mile bike loop - double dikes, circum SB#2, outer levee, lighthouse area and back Lighthouse Road - I have nothing new to add over recent reports. Another 8 or so Wh. Pelicans on Lighthouse Pond, good numbers of terns and gulls on flats east of lighthouse but not discernible to species without my scope. Black-necked Stilts are present in several locations, I've been seeing more Least Bitterns than usual, and the occasional Seaside Sparrow is making itself visible. Several species have young scrambling about.
Double-crested Cormorants are not a species that gets much coverage here, but it is worth checking out their mating antics in the pines between Lighthouse Road and the HQ Pond observation deck. Their vocalizations are fascinating and provide an opportunity to see the inside of their mouths, which are a striking, bright turquoise. Matt

Back to top
Date: 6/18/19 6:10 am
From: 'C or M Johnstone' <anhinga...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] Am Flamingo Alligator Point
Karen Willes sent me a photo of an Am. Flamingo taken at Alligator Point on Monday. It was described as being on the "fish trap". I can forward the photo if anyone is interested. I did not see the flamingo at SMNWR on Sunday. I plan on biking in the refuge in a bit, so I'll see if it remains absent from its preferred locations. Matt

Back to top
Date: 6/14/19 10:49 am
From: Don Morrow <donaldcmorrow...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] SMNWR --- Friday Morning
The main gate at St. Marks NWR was open when I arrived at 5:35 am, so I
drove in and parked at the Double Bridges to listen for owls. It was still
dark and I did not want to start my walk down the Double Dikes until it was
light enough to see lurking gators.

After hearing four Barred Owls and two early-rising Acadian Flycatchers, I
deemed it light enough to move on. It was just coming up on first light as
I parked at the Double Dikes and pulled out my scope. Jupiter was setting
in the West and Venus was rising in the East. I took a moment to scan
Jupiter and could see three moons.

It was a cool morning for mid-June and there was a noisy frog chorus going
on. The grass was high and wet with dew. By the time the sun rose I was
halfway out the North levee of Stony Bayou II. I’d heard Chuck-wills-widow
and seen Common Nighthawk, Wood Ducks and an Osprey carrying breakfast home..

The loop around Stony Bayou II is about 4.5 miles. At a birder’s pace, with
frequent stops for scanning, it takes about three hours. There are lots of
Barn Swallows including newly fledged young. I was able to pick out a
female Purple Martin and a Chimney Swift. Two Caspian Terns flew by. There
were a number of long-legged waders, mostly Calico Herons (second-year
Little Blue Herons molting from the white juvenal plumage into the adult
dark blue.) I counted fourteen Black-necked Stilts. One was still sitting
on a nest.

Walking the cross dike that separates Stony Bayou I and II gives you good
light for watching the Least Terns and Wilson’s Plovers that nest on the
mudflats on Stony Bayou I. Two Reddish Egrets were dancing in the shallows,
but beyond that it was quiet except for the shrill cries of the terns as
they flew overhead.

Finishing up my loop, I made a few more stops. East River Pool continues to
have the American Flamingo, Roseate Spoonbills and more Black-necked
Stilts. The Lighthouse Flats had Forster’s & Royal Terns as well as Willets
and Laughing Gulls

I made one last stop on my way out at the Double Bridges and had Tufted
Titmice, Northern Parulas and calling Yellow-throated Vireos. In five
hours, I had logged 63 species. It was a good morning.

The cool weather is supposed to continue. Head down to St. Marks NWR and
enjoy some summer birding.
Don Morrow
<donaldcmorrow...> <donaldcmorow...>
Tallahassee, FL

Back to top
Date: 6/13/19 11:50 am
From: 'C or M Johnstone' <anhinga...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] SMNWR 6-13 (juv. ?) White Pelicans
Birding by whim (it helps to live close to the refuge), I made a brief foray into St. Marks late this morning.
The AmFlam remains on East River Pool with nearby Roseate Spoonbills (6) and many "Calico" Little Blue Herons. I saw no Scaup on ERP today.
Stony Bayou #1 had at least one Reddish Egret, a nice assortment of shorebirds, a flyover calling C. Nighthawk, a Caspian Tern, and 38 White Pelicans that I believe were juveniles. I took several photos, all of which are garbage, but they do show bill color. The Upper mandibles were pink and the lower mandibles pink distally but transitioning to yellow at the base. Through scope views, and you'll have to take my word on this, some of the birds had pink facial skin, some yellow, they all had a grayish cast on the body, and had rather fuzzy/downy heads. I'm still adjusting to what to expect in these parts, but juvie White Pelicans in mid-June does surprise me. Did I make the wrong call on plumage? Are these dispersals from the disjunct south Texas breeding population or returns from the southernmost interior breeders?
The flats east of Lighthouse Pond are worth a visit; had a couple of Am. Oystercatchers, out of cover Clappers, and the expected common species.
Matt

Back to top
Date: 6/9/19 6:12 pm
From: 'C or M Johnstone' <anhinga...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] SMNWR Sunday evening
Cyndi and I spent a few hours in the refuge from about 4-7 pm, and had a couple of surprises that I'd appreciate any insight some of you long time north Florida birders might provide.

We fortunately encountered Lisa and Mark Hughes at the fishing pier on East river Pool and they indicated they had seen four or five juvenile Black Terns in the SW corner of Stony Bayou #1. This piqued my interest, since I'd think there would be no juvie Black Terns anywhere on the planet at this time of year. I saw two of the terns on SB #1 and a third on Picnic Pond. Not being familiar with the timing of black tern molt, upon arriving home and consulting Sibley, these birds were consistent with first winter or adult nonbreeding plumage (which are very similar to juvie plumage). If Sibley is to believed (and is complete with respect to molt sequence), any Black Tern in June should be in adult breeding plumage. I would also think it is very late for Black Terns of any stripe to be in this area (they are on breeding territory in Michigan in late May), although I know Don Morrow recently reported an adult from SMNWR. So, what's with these Black terns in other than breeding plumage?

At East River Pool the Am. Flamingo was in NW corner, putting on quite a display of apparently aimless flight, alighting briefly among four Roseate Spoonbills. A tightly packed, resting flock of 30-40 White Pelicans in the same area; quite late? In the SE corner, four Scaup sp. They were cruising around with their heads underwater, only briefly lifting them to aggravate me in determining species, but I believe they were Greater. Another seasonal anomaly.

Hung around the bench behind the lighthouse for a couple of hours with Mark and Lisa enjoying the cool breeze and watching the show on the salt flats. Four Whimbrel, Semi- and Bl-bellied Plover, Willet, S-b Dowitcher, Turnstones, Semi-sandpiper, Least, Forster's, Royal, and Caspian Tern, Clapper Rails running around in the open, Least Bitterns, Green Herons, Barn Swallows, Purple Martins, Seaside Sparrows.

Elsewhere on the refuge had Greater Yellowlegs and Black-necked Stilt. I'm sure I've forgotten some stuff, but a very pleasing outing. Matt

Back to top
Date: 6/6/19 1:32 pm
From: Don Morrow <donaldcmorrow...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] SMNWR --- Thursday morning
St. Marks NWR was quiet this morning, but still birdy. In 3.5 hours I
logged 67 species including three duck species and eight shorebird species
–two with fledglings. We’re at the tail of the birding year when the refuge
has its lowest species diversity. We have about 125 year-round and summer
resident bird species and whatever stray leftover migrants happen to be at
the refuge.

I spent about a half hour at the Double Bridges and left just as the sun
was rising somewhere behind the clouds. Acadian & Great Crested Flycatchers
were already calling when I arrived at 6:00 am. I added Red-eyed &
Yellow-throated Vireo, a pair of Barred Owls and a few Red-shouldered
Hawks. All of these were heard-only.

I walked out to the Helispot and added Red-cockaded Woodpecker,
Brown-headed Nuthatch, Pine & Yellow-throated Warbler, Summer Tanager,
Eastern Towhee and a few other species. “The list groweth”, as my friend
John Hintermister used to say.

East River Pool had Roseate Spoonbills and almost a dozen Black-necked
Stilts, including three immatures in juvenal plumage that looked like
half-size versions. I also had Blue-winged Teal, a Redhead and nine Scaup.
I spent a half hour on the Scaup; seven male and two female. I had
previously thought that they were Lesser, but they appear to be Greater
Scaup based on the head shape, wing stripes and bill. The females have
already gone through their late-Spring partial molt.

I stopped on the side of Lighthouse Road and scoped Headquarters Pond.
There were several Purple Gallinules among the more prevalent Common
Gallinules. I also had an immature Black-crowned Night Heron.

Down by the Lighthouse I had lots of over-summering young Forster’s Terns,
a few breeding plumage Royal Terns and one spectacular breeding plumage
Black Tern. Among the Willets was one juvenile feeding with its parent. At
this point it was beginning to rain and I headed home. It was a nice calm
morning of birding at St. Marks.

Date: 6/6/19 6:39 am
From: 'C or M Johnstone' <anhinga...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: RE: [nflbirds] Elegant Tern question
Jeff O'Connell sent me a link to a photo of an Elegant with red legs and Earl Orf sent me a photo of a "Cayenne"; the evidence so far convinces me the reported bird is an Elegant. I appreciate the help. Matt

Date: 6/6/19 6:19 am
From: 'Galveston Orntithological Society' <galornsoc...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>

_____

Date: 6/1/19 2:16 pm
From: John Murphy <southmoonunder...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: Fwd: [nflbirds] Winter reports for FFN
Big Bend Birders,

I am currently accepting reports of significant spring (1 March - 31 May) sightings from the Big Bend (Gadsden, Liberty, Gulf, Franklin, Wakulla, Leon, Jefferson, Taylor, Dixie, Lafayette, Madison & Hamilton counties) for possible publication in FLORIDA FIELD NATURALIST & NORTH AMERICAN BIRDS. Please use the following format, listing observations in phylogenetic order:

Species
Number of individuals
Location
Date
Observer(s)

Additionally, please include field notes, detailed description or photographs of any rare species, or species which present an identification challenge.

If you have any questions, please contact me at <southmoonunder...>

Thanks very much.

John Murphy
Alligator Pt, FL

Back to top
Date: 6/1/19 11:43 am
From: Don Morrow <donaldcmorrow...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] SMNWR --- Saturday Morning
Eight Intrepid birders joined me at St. Marks NWR for a circuit around
Stony Bayou II that started at 6:15 am. It was a warm morning with few
insects. Things started off fast when we noticed the American Flamingo on
Stony Bayou I as we drove out the Double Dikes. If it stays there, it will
be much more accessible for visiting birders. As of late morning, when I
finally left, the bird was still on Stony Bayou I.

Stony Bayou II had most of the same birds I had on Thursday, but also had
Reddish Egret, a pair of Blue-winged Teal and a flyby Cooper’s Hawk.. Among
a number of Black-necked Stilts was one apparently sitting on a nest.

Stony Bayou I had a family of Wilson’s Plovers; two parents and three
very-ambulatory chicks.

After the field trip was over, I did a quick run down Lighthouse Road. East
River Pool had nine Lesser Scaup, a pair of Redheads, a Glossy Ibis, five
Roseate Spoonbills and two White Pelicans.

The Lighthouse Flats, viewed from the observation platform had Forster’s
and Royal Terns and a single Whimbrel.

It was a nice morning. I’ll be scheduling more extremely Early Birding
trips over the Summer. Check on the Friends of St. Marks website in about a
week for information on dates and call the refuge to sign up.

Date: 5/30/19 2:31 pm
From: Don Morrow <donaldcmorrow...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
It was already first light by the time I got out to Stony Bayou II at St.
Marks NWR this morning. There was a thin layer of fog floating just below
the level of the raised levee I was on. I could hear a few
Chuck-wills-widows, squealing Wood Ducks and above me a lone Nighthawk was
peenting and diving. Early day birds, Cardinals, Mourning Doves and
Red-bellied Woodpeckers, were already calling. Pig Frogs were snorting from
the marshes and a bull gator began its rumbling bellow from the base of the
levee where I stood. It was warm, but not uncomfortably so, and there were
very few insects. It’s definitely the best time of the day to be out. I
don’t know how you people can sleep through this.

I was out scouting for a weekend field trip that will circle Stony Bayou
II. It’s a good place to go in the few magic summer hours each morning
before the heat sets in. As the sun rose, I started my circuit of the pool.
The water level is down and there’s a lot of exposed mud. I had the now
resident American Flamingo, nesting Black-necked Stilts, a few White-rumped
Sandpipers and many Semipalmated Sandpipers and Plovers. I had a single
Coot along with both Common & Purple Gallinules. Oddly, I had two
individual Common Loons. This is getting very late for them. Neither of
them appeared to be even trying to migrate as they flew low over the marsh.
A single duck appeared to be a female Redhead.

The main gate on Lighthouse road opens automatically at 6:00 am. For the
next two months it will be light enough to begin birding as soon as you
enter the refuge. Grab a mountain bike or put on your hiking shoes and come
down to enjoy a Summer morning at St. Marks.

Good Birding

Date: 5/26/19 6:05 pm
From: David Houle <dhoule...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] Heads up on Zeiss repairs
I have twice had to send my relatively new Zeiss binoculars for repairs
in the last four years, and each time was sent a message promising
repairs within 8-10 weeks.  EACH time there was more than a four month
wait with no word.  When I contacted them about the delays, I was told
that the binoculars were about to be, or had just been sent to Germany
for their repairs.  The first time resulted in two more months delay,
whereupon they sent me a new pair.  The second time they sent me a new
pair with no further delay.  It is nice to have a new pair, but I would
much rather have had usable binoculars the whole time.

There is a serious problem with Zeiss repairs that goes well beyond any
move to Kentucky.

I bought for the warranty (and the optics) but the fact that these have
needed repairs within just a few years (or months in one case), plus
delays when you have to act on that warranty make me regret my purchase.

David Houle

--
David Houle
Department of Biological Science

850-339-5670
http://bio.fsu.edu/~dhoule/

Back to top
Date: 5/26/19 4:21 am
From: 'C or M Johnstone' <anhinga...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
With birding's quiet season coming up, folks may be considering sending optics in for necessary repairs. If you own Zeiss equipment, be aware that they are in the process of moving their North American repair facility from NY to KY and repairs are significantly delayed. I sent my Victory bins in after reviewing their website instructions and talking on the phone to a repair rep. Neither the website nor the rep informed me of the move and the delays. They received the bins on May 9 and in an email on May 23 they told me they were sending the bins to Germany for repair and that the process would take 8-10 weeks.

I'm quite miffed that Zeiss didn't make me aware of the delays when I made arrangements to mail them in, so I'm passing this along so others know what to expect. Matt

Join us on Facebook!