NFLbirds
Received From Subject
3/24/19 1:34 pm 'C or M Johnstone' <anhinga...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] SMNWR, 3-24
3/22/19 1:26 pm Sunny Phillips <sunny_phillips...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] Bird Scouting Trip Today at St. Marks & Lake Henrietta
3/22/19 8:58 am eliza hawkins <ehawkins...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] NORTH AMERICAN BREEDING BIRD SURVEY
3/20/19 8:29 am 'Lucy and Bob Duncan' <robertaduncan...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] Happy Vernal Equinox
3/18/19 1:40 pm Don Morrow <donaldcmorrow...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] SMNWR -- Monday
3/18/19 11:11 am Bruce Bodjack <bbodjack...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] Marbled Godwits
3/17/19 1:21 pm 'C or M Johnstone' <anhinga...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] SMNWR tour 3-17
3/16/19 1:43 pm 'C or M Johnstone' <anhinga...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] SMNWR - 3/16
3/15/19 6:02 pm 'Lucy and Bob Duncan' <robertaduncan...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] bird movement
3/15/19 5:44 am Mark <ag1380loop...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] Hummers
3/14/19 9:25 am sunny phillips <sunny_phillips...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] FOS Ruby-throated male hummer Tallahassee
3/12/19 5:21 pm APRIL WILLIFORD <awilliford...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] Eastern Whip-poor-will
3/10/19 4:15 pm Don Morrow <donaldcmorrow...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> Re: [nflbirds] SMNWR 3-10 tour report
3/10/19 11:37 am 'C or M Johnstone' <anhinga...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] SMNWR 3-10 tour report
3/10/19 8:30 am <cyanoci799...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] Spelling
3/10/19 8:28 am <cyanoci799...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] Rthummingbird
3/9/19 12:05 pm 'Galveston Orntithological Society' <galornsoc...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> RE: [nflbirds] ASTkite
3/9/19 11:36 am Bruce Bodjack <bbodjack...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] Osprey at Otter Lake
3/9/19 11:21 am <cyanoci799...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] ASTkite
3/9/19 11:21 am <cyanoci799...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] ASTkite
3/8/19 5:47 am Bruce Bodjack <bbodjack...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] Red Headed Woodpecker
3/6/19 4:31 pm Bruce Bodjack <bbodjack...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] More Gannet News
3/6/19 4:21 am 'C or M Johnstone' <anhinga...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> RE: [nflbirds] SMNWR, Northern Gannets
3/5/19 5:10 pm 'Galveston Orntithological Society' <galornsoc...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> RE: [nflbirds] SMNWR, Northern Gannets
3/5/19 3:48 pm 'C or M Johnstone' <anhinga...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] SMNWR, Northern Gannets
2/28/19 2:42 pm Don Morrow <donaldcmorrow...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] SMNWR -- Thursday
2/28/19 2:09 pm WILLIAM PHELAN <wmjphelan...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] Spring is here at St Marks NWR
2/26/19 4:14 pm 'C or M Johnstone' <anhinga...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] SMNWR - additional refuge tours
2/25/19 10:21 am Lynne Erickson <gatormomlynne...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> Re: [nflbirds] Summer Tanagers galore
2/25/19 5:35 am 'Cassidy, Rodney' <rodney.cassidy...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> RE: [nflbirds] Summer Tanagers galore
2/24/19 5:09 am 'Jeff O'Connell' <jeff.m.oconnell...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] Upcoming AAS bird walks
2/23/19 8:06 am 'Gary Griffin' <heb121...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] FOS singing Parula today

Back to top
Date: 3/24/19 1:34 pm
From: 'C or M Johnstone' <anhinga...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] SMNWR, 3-24
A short, 13.5 mile bicycle ride on the levees from 11-1:30 (105-122-127 and back 128-106-105), which included some casual birding . Being mid-day and breezy, I didn't trouble with passerines.

105

A blue-striped ribbon snake, picked up and moved to the shoulder - best sighting of the day. One Swallow-tailed Kite, which I looked up into the sun to view, and half-blinded looked down to my only other snake of the day (not sure what it was, being sun-blind, but probably a black racer given its speedy departure).

122

East Stony Bayou quiet, except for 4 Blue-winged Teal, a few B-Kingfishers, and a young, sleek, spotless bobcat. Stony Bayou #2 had more Blue-winged Teal than I've seen in weeks, maybe months, as well as about 10 N. Shovelers and about 20 Am. Wigeon (the first I've seen in several weeks). Apparently, some of the more southerly wintering ducks are passing through. Also, three R. Spoonbills, one (maybe two) Bl-necked Stilt, and a very lost and confused American Flamingo. A young B. Eagle made the Flamingo, and everything else, nervous enough to fly, but it settled back in a little west of its usual location. Does anyone know if the Florida bird records folks have accepted this as a wild, countable bird?

127/128

Plenty of shorebirds on SB #1, but with only 8x32 bins, no scope, and elevated heart and respiration rates, I couldn't muster the will to sort through them.

Beautiful day back on the levees. Matt

Back to top
Date: 3/22/19 1:26 pm
From: Sunny Phillips <sunny_phillips...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] Bird Scouting Trip Today at St. Marks & Lake Henrietta
> Today was bird scouting day at St. Marks and Lake Henrietta. I thought that you might be interested in what was seen at St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge:
> Bald Eagle
> Great Horned Owl and owlets
> Osprey
> Red-shouldered Hawk
> Brown Pelican
> Redhead
> Lesser Scaup
> Bufflehead
> Pied-bill Grebe
> Common Gallinule
> American Coot
> Great Egret
> Snowy Egret
> Double-crested Cormorant
> Willet
> Ruby-throated Hummingbird
> Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
> White-eyed Vireo
> Northern Mockingbird
> Eastern Kingbird
> Boat-tailed Grackle
> Pine Warbler
> Carolina Wren
>
> At Lake Henrietta the birds seen were: Anhinga, immature Little Blue Heron, Red-shouldered Hawk, Pied-billed Grebe, Double-crested Cormorant, Eastern Phoebe, White-eyed Vireo. Alas, no Limpkins but lovely pink snail eggs.

------------------------------------
Posted by: Sunny Phillips <sunny_phillips...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
<nflbirds-digest...>
<nflbirds-fullfeatured...>

<nflbirds-unsubscribe...>

Back to top
Date: 3/22/19 8:58 am
From: eliza hawkins <ehawkins...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] NORTH AMERICAN BREEDING BIRD SURVEY
If any Florida birders are interested in participating in the North American Breeding Bird Survey, there are a few available routes (see red available routes on BBS - USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center site below).
I have been doing the Bristol Route for the past few years and may not be able to do it this year.  If there is anyone interested in participating let me know.  Its a challenge but can be fun.  If interested or just want to discuss, let me know.
The USGS instructions summarized: a route has 50 stops over 25 miles, precisely every .5 miles  at exact specified points with a timed by sight and by ear identification by one person.  Each stop must be timed at 3 minutes. preferably the second person comes along to take notes.  Start time is before sunrise with a finish time around 12noon or 1pm.   Here is the bristol route: Bristol 25108 USGS bird survey - Google My Maps

| | |

| |
Bristol 25108 USGS bird survey - Google My Maps

Bristol 25108 USGS bird survey

BBS - USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center

| | |

| |
BBS - USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center

Keith Pardieck (<Keith_Pardieck...>)

The North American Breeding Bird Survey (BBS) is a large-scale, long-term monitoring program designed to track t...

Eliza Hawkins <ehawkins...>

Back to top
Date: 3/20/19 8:29 am
From: 'Lucy and Bob Duncan' <robertaduncan...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] Happy Vernal Equinox
Hi all,

Migration has all but shut down for the last two days as the cold front
penetrated the southern Gulf with rain in S. FL Monday along with unsettled
weather in general. West Indian migrants, the source of most of our early
migrants, have been bottled up down there. This is evident from Cornell's
Live Migration Maps which have been showing no movement along the FL
Peninsula or eastern and central Gulf for the past two days. Good movements
of circum-Gulf migrants can be seen moving north in the western Gulf and
along the Tex-Mex coast, however.

Winds here are forecast to remain generally N or NW until Saturday when they
swing around to SE or S again. So my guess is that migrants will start
heading north again this weekend from the West Indies. Having been halted in
their movements north I suspect they will be in a rush to move out in a
hurry.

Monday I had a Prairie Warbler here in Gulf Breeze, a probable West Indian
migrant, as most Prairies winter in the Indies. A few migrants are being
reported in the area, Prothonotary, Hooded, Parula, lots of White-eyed
Vireos etc. but I suspect these were birds that had already reached the FL
Peninsula before the front came through. There was an E. Kingbird reported
in SE Louisiana, basically a trans-Gulf migrant. Since it is a flycatcher
and a strong flyer, it could have transited the Gulf. It is uncommon in W.
Cuba in winter, so it may have originated there.

At any rate, my hopes are up for the weekend.

Bob Duncan

Gulf Breeze, Fl

Back to top
Date: 3/18/19 1:40 pm
From: Don Morrow <donaldcmorrow...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] SMNWR -- Monday
I got to St. Marks NWR about 6:10 am, just after moonset. It was a cold,
clear and starry night. I had both Barred and Great Horned Owl calling, but
my hopes for Limpkin and Chuck-wills-widows were dashed. I had only three
Wood Ducks; two heard females and a flying male. Wood Ducks have started
nesting and their Northern kin have migrated home.

In the next six hours, while doing an end-of-season duck survey, I logged
64 species. I had seven duck species and 322 individual ducks, mostly a
large group of Blue-winged Teal. A single Redhead on Mounds Pool III and a
single Common Goldeneye offshore helped boost my species count. There are
Lesser Scaup on Lighthouse Pond and my 60 Bufflehead were scattered about.

The Flamingo continues and Loon migration has begun. I had seven Common
Loon heading North starting just before sunrise.

*Stony Bayou II*

Common Loon (overhead)

Black-necked Stilt

American Flamingo

Roseate Spoonbill

Wood Duck

Green-winged Teal (15)

Blue-winged Teal (220)

Bufflehead (13)

Tree Swallow (around 500)

Barn Swallow (fresh arrivals in low numbers about an hour after sunrise)

Merlin

I had a Eurasian Collared Dove on Lighthouse Road at the Double Dikes and a
Kestrel on the Mounds Pool III outer levee. My survey was off-cycle from
the incoming high tide and I missed most of the shorebirds, but did get 30
American Oystercatchers on an offshore bar and a Wilson’s Plover on Stony
Bayou I.

There were a few Palm Warblers on the levees. All were breeding plumage
western birds that usually winter in the Caribbean. They may be headed home..

Bird diversity is about to kick up as migration accelerates in later March
and peaks in April. Good time to head down to St. Marks.

Good Birding

Don Morrow
<donaldcmorrow...> <donaldcmorow...>
Tallahassee, FL

Back to top
Date: 3/18/19 11:11 am
From: Bruce Bodjack <bbodjack...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] Marbled Godwits
Marbled Godwits are in good numbers at Wakulla County Mashes Sands Park. This park is at the East end of Mashes Sands Road. Take 98, 3 miles South of Panacea, turn east at the blinking light just before the Bridge crossing Ochlockonee River to Franklin Co.

The boat ramp is closed so parking is challenging, and no bathrooms. Most are now parking along the road staying out of the way of the construction workers. Do not drive an RV or pull a trailer to the end.

Take a scope. The old fisherman’s pier was destroyed by Hurricane Michael, but still can be used as a viewing platform, at the high point of the first section. This is the first and only access directly after the canal. A shorter walking distance.

Or else (better plan) walk to the end of the road, and walk south to the point area. Most of the birds collect at this location. Lots of Black Skimmers there today as well.

Speculation: OK, so the Godwits are close to migrating to the northern planes. At the full moon on the 20th, I expect the Horseshoe crabs (a living fossil) to spawn at high tide, around 3:30 PM, I believe the crab eggs to be a favorite food of the Godwits and great fuel for migration. Should be good viewing all afternoon. Take your camera.

If you have another favorite or closer beach, you may want to have a look. In years past it has been an amazing sight.

Godwits are spectacularly beautiful sandpipers. They are large with long bicolored bills. The are larger than the Willets and brown not gray. In flight they project strength, and take confident direct lines.

Bruce Bodjack, Panacea Florida
<Bbodjack...>

------------------------------------
Posted by: Bruce Bodjack <bbodjack...>

Date: 3/17/19 1:21 pm
From: 'C or M Johnstone' <anhinga...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] SMNWR tour 3-17
Today's route was Lighthouse Rd to the south levee of double dikes (128), around south side of Stony Bayou #2 (122), north on 114 to Tram Rd. (105), and west to Lighthouse Rd. and the VC.

An eagle chick was up on the nest at north end of East River Pool, occasionally flapping its stubby little wings. A few Cattle Egrets were among a group of Great Egrets at north end of ERP.

The Vermilion Flycatcher was NOT present at the entrance to DD. A Swallow-tailed Kite flew very low, slow, and close, providing excellent dorsal views, reminding me why this is perhaps my favorite bird.

Many shorebirds on Stony Bayou #1, the usual suspects plus two Wilson's Plovers spotted by Bruce Bodjack (BB).

Stony Bayou #2 had many dozens of Blue-winged Teal, three Gadwall, a Canada Goose (BB again) - the first I've ever seen on the refuge and listed on the refuge bird list as "accidental", two Roseate Spoonbill, American Flamingo, Wilson's Snipe (BB), Black-necked Stilt (BB), and both Yellowlegs (conveniently adjacent).

The 114/105 segment had few birds but some nice wildflowers. First, let me correct my mis-ID of Balduinia, honeycomb head. The season is wrong for that species, and I believe we were looking at southern sneezeweed, Helenium pinnatifidum. In no particular order, and probably with some omissions, we also saw duck potato, woolly sunbonnets, false indigo, leather flower, blue-eyed grass, blue toadflax, lyre-leaved sage, vetch, and violets.

At the exit to Lighthouse Rd., Cyndi spotted a bobcat going south along the road. Fortunately, and unusually, the bobcats (turned out there were two kits and perhaps a third adult) stayed visible long enough for everyone to see at least one of them.
After the tour concluded, three Red-cockaded Woodpeckers were found (by BB, again) - and stayed in view for several minutes - across from the Visitor Center.

The predicted rain didn't happen, so a decent day in the refuge. Matt

Back to top
Date: 3/16/19 1:43 pm
From: 'C or M Johnstone' <anhinga...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] SMNWR - 3/16
Did a brief route scout for tomorrow's tour early afternoon in the refuge today. Flamingo still present in the usual Stony Bayou #2 location along with two Roseate Spoonbills and the first Black-necked Stilt I've seen in the refuge in a few months. Lots of swallows, which I did not examine carefully, but the overwhelming dominance of Tree is giving way to Barn. Stony Bayou #1 is at the ideal drawdown level for shorebirds - they are concentrated in the exposed flats around the perimeter. Once the drawdown is at its lowest, the flats will be expansive and the birds more distant.

The male Vermilion Flycatcher at the entrance to double dikes was NOT seen in three attempts over the course of about three hours. Nobody else I spoke to had seen it today. It is about that time for it to be moving along. Matt

Back to top
Date: 3/15/19 6:02 pm
From: 'Lucy and Bob Duncan' <robertaduncan...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] bird movement
Hi all,

Two nights ago, while strong SE winds were blowing, John Yuhasz, a birder
living about 30 mi north of Pensacola heard a good movement of passerines
moving north over his house. The next morning I did not observe any new
incoming migrants except 3 Green Herons that dropped out of the sky around
noon. So birds flew over the coast totally ignoring the aspirations of
coastal birders. But then, that was expected. Today a Louisiana Waterthrush
spent most of the afternoon around our small pond in the occasional company
of a N. Parula. Although winds have shifted to the north here in the
Pensacola area, the front is still not far to our east and S & SE winds
still prevail east of Tallahassee, so birds may still be on the move east of
here. The marine forecast calls for continued N or NE winds through
Wednesday which does not bode well for further movements into our area
except for stronger flyers like swallows and swifts. Some migrants may hug
the coast coming up from the peninsula, however. Hope springs eternal for
birders.

Swallow-tailed Kites have been moving big time in the last few days but this
observer has struck out on this species.

Good Birding,

Bob Duncan

Back to top
Date: 3/15/19 5:44 am
From: Mark <ag1380loop...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] Hummers

Hello all,
On Tuesday we had four Ruby Throats working our large Bottle Brush. Sometimes two or three at the same time. One was sitting on a branch and working flowers it could reach from the perch. As expected, they have moved on.
We also had a meadowlark a couple days ago.
We live between Quincy and Greensboro.

Back to top
Date: 3/14/19 9:25 am
From: sunny phillips <sunny_phillips...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] FOS Ruby-throated male hummer Tallahassee
Yeah! Since my salvia and Cardinal Guard never stopped blooming my garden is ripe for migrating hummingbirds.

In addition, two Red-tailed and Red-shouldered Hawks are battling my resident Barred Owls and each other for territory. It’s officially spring..

~~~~
Cheers - Sunny Phillips

------------------------------------

Date: 3/12/19 5:21 pm
From: APRIL WILLIFORD <awilliford...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] Eastern Whip-poor-will
Had an Eastern Whip-poor-will calling out my window tonight...in the woods which will someday be Falls Chase subdivision...haven't heard one in a long time!

April Williford

East Tallahassee - Weems Plantation

Back to top
Date: 3/10/19 4:15 pm
From: Don Morrow <donaldcmorrow...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [nflbirds] SMNWR 3-10 tour report
Northern Shovelers are one of the later Spring migrant ducks and can
occasionally be seen at St. Marks into early June. I've seen these Spring
pulses of Shovelers before. I had 138 at the refuge on 4/4/17. They winter
regularly in the Western Caribbean and I suspect that is where these birds
are coming from.

Don Morrow
<donaldcmorrow...> <donaldcmorow...>
Tallahassee, FL

On Sun, Mar 10, 2019 at 2:40 PM 'C or M Johnstone' <anhinga...>
[nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> wrote:

> Today's route was double dikes, clockwise around Stony Bayou 2, and out
> 106 road to 105 to Lighthouse Road. So, in general order of appearance (if
> you don't want to read the rest, the Am. Flamingo was present):
>
> Vermilion Flycatcher is still present at entrance to double dikes, I
> suspect it will be leaving before long.
>
> Stony Bayou #1 has been in the process of being drawn down to tidal status
> for the past 10 days, so there's now shorebird habitat around the edges and
> the islands. Semi- and Black-bellied Plovers, Willet, Greater Yellowlegs,
> Dunlin, Western and Least Sandpipers, and Short-billed Dowitchers present..
>
> As we turned on to the north levee of SB #2, a flock of about three dozen
> N. Shovelers flew by; in the next few minutes we saw a few smaller flocks,
> totaling another few dozen. That is five or six times the total number of
> N. Shovelers I've seen at SMNWR this past season, they've been unusually
> scarce. Several dozen Blue-winged and a couple of Green-winged Teal, a
> single L. Scaup, and several Bufflehead comprised the duck total. The
> American Flamingo was spotted from the north levee in its usual location
> (about 11 am; it was not present yesterday afternoon). As we continued
> around SB 2, many shorebirds were present on the flats, add Long-billed
> Dowitcher to previously mentioned species. The Flamingo was closer than
> usual to the south levee - the closest I've seen it, so all got excellent
> views. A Roseate Spoonbill was in the same area, allowing study of the
> varieties of pink. While viewing the Flamingo a Merlin flew in and perched
> close for several minutes in the large oak overhead.
>
> Common Yellowthroat, Pine, Parula, Yellow-throated, and Black and White
> Warblers were active and singing. Beautiful, sunny day with enough breeze
> to keep the no-see-ums in check. Matt

Back to top

Date: 3/10/19 8:30 am
From: <cyanoci799...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] Spelling

I wish AOL didn't decide what I want to say. It came by.
Alice and Mike

Back to top
Date: 3/10/19 8:28 am
From: <cyanoci799...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] Rthummingbird

Our first Ruby Throated Hummingbird just came NY here in Old Town

Mike and Alice

Back to top
Date: 3/9/19 12:05 pm
From: 'Galveston Orntithological Society' <galornsoc...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: RE: [nflbirds] ASTkite
Birds are definitely on the way! I just returned from leading a tour in
Costa Rica where we saw northbound ST Kites, redwings, Barn Swallows, BW
Teal, Orchard Oreos and others that may/may not have been migrating.

We also saw eight species of warblers that seemed in no special hurry or
direction, like some of my Alabama relatives.

Buckel up for the spring migration!

Jim in Galveston

_____

Date: 3/9/19 11:36 am
From: Bruce Bodjack <bbodjack...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] Osprey at Otter Lake
Osprey’s courtship display.

West of Panacea and part of the St. Marks NWR, you will find Otter Lake. Today (3-9-19) while there birding we were treated to a wonderful Osprey Courtship display.

At the boat ramp looking South, in a Cypress Tree is an unmistakable grand vegetation stacked nest. Just above the nest sits an Osprey (Osprey’s nest, good one Sherlock).

Then with all the subtlety, of a flying monster truck an Osprey announces itself from above. Starting at a great height, with a fish in grasp, the Osprey stalls, hovering in place, showing off it’s strength, and the fresh fish.

Then the aerial showboat begins a dive, wings half folded in and quickly hits supper sonic speed, then pulls up. This move ends up being a “U” shape maneuver. Again, flapping and holding it’s place in mid air.

The Osprey at the nest, with great delight is locking eyes on it’s suitor. The calls are getting closer and louder.

This display continues another two minutes, more dives and circling, showing off the fresh caught fish. By the time he lands, you might think he would be exhausted, ah, not. The display was very successful and an eager “embrace” rewarded the effort. The nest will have a use this spring.

Nature, greatest show on earth.

Bruce Bodjack, Panacea FL
<bbodjack...>

Back to top
Date: 3/9/19 11:21 am
From: <cyanoci799...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>

Date: 3/9/19 11:21 am
From: <cyanoci799...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>

Date: 3/8/19 5:47 am
From: Bruce Bodjack <bbodjack...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] Red Headed Woodpecker
Red Headed Woodpecker, a favorite bird, the color and striking b/w contrast.. I find there voice a bit smoother or soothing then other woodpecker. The voice is still loud, quick trills maybe a bit funny sounding to my ears. The call doesn’t descend like a Downy. The trills of a Red-Bellied, Flicker or Pileated, are loud and abrupt with slower spacing to my ears. Like most woodpeckers the Red Headed is a cavity nester.

Wakulla Co. Medart park, East of the Library on 319 and is a reliable location for Red Headed Woodpecker. If you have not been to this multi-sport complex, take 98, about a 1/2 mile (guessing) East of the High school in Medart, and look for the small green signs announcing the park, turn N onto Evalinda St. this will in short order take you to the park. Park close to the buildings at the center of the complex. Here is an Oasis of trees. From the NE side of the Administration build, a few hundred feet from the parking area, listen for the calls. We heard the calls from the parking lot.

We were there around 1:pm March 7, sunny and clear. We watched two nesting cavities being built. The birds were calling while excavating the nest. They chose solid dead branches in the tops of the live tree, making round holes. Not sure if this was display behavior or true nesting location, should be easy you to find.

The Red Headed Woodpecker is easy to find right now, while they’re busy displaying, courting, nest building all with great noise and fanfare. They seem singularly focused, with lots of calls to attract a mate.

The walk around the park was a good walk, but disappointing with only a few other common birds. Expect Vultures, Bluebirds, Crows, Doves and Mockingbirds. In the past there was a resident Red-Shouldered hawk.

Date: 3/6/19 4:31 pm
From: Bruce Bodjack <bbodjack...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] More Gannet News
Thanks to Matt J. report on Northern Gannets, I went for a look.

@ End of road Mashes Sands Co. Park.

Look north towards Shell Point. Large bright white bird shallow wing beats, black tips, protruding head. Very little gliding. Plunge diver, tall spray.. Hunts in distant/lose groups, large spacing. Scope required, distance viewing. Often 100 feet over water, so look just above the horizon. Keep water line in bottom third of scope. N wind 11 mph. Afternoon light is best.

Bruce Bodjack , Mashes Sands Panacea

<bbodjack...>

Bruce Bodjack
<Bbodjack...>
<bbodjack...>

Back to top
Date: 3/6/19 4:21 am
From: 'C or M Johnstone' <anhinga...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: RE: [nflbirds] SMNWR, Northern Gannets
I think it's a good bet they are on the move. eBird shows several recent Gannet sightings from Bald Point, eBird bar charts indicate March as more likely (but still not very likely) to be see Gannets here than at most other times of year, and I have seen none at the refuge since I reported dozens over a couple of days last Fall.

Date: 3/5/19 5:10 pm
From: 'Galveston Orntithological Society' <galornsoc...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Good point, but I wonder if they might be on the move now???

_____

Of 'C or M Johnstone' <anhinga...> [nflbirds]
Sent: Tuesday, March 5, 2019 5:09 PM
To: <nflbirds...>

Date: 3/5/19 3:48 pm
From: 'C or M Johnstone' <anhinga...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>

Date: 2/28/19 2:42 pm
From: Don Morrow <donaldcmorrow...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] SMNWR -- Thursday
Six hours of birding at St. Marks NWR on a cool and foggy late winter/early
spring morning produced 73 species. I was scouting for upcoming field trips
this weekend and added on a little accessory birding. Both the flamingo and
the male Vermilion Flycatcher were present. I had seven duck species and a
few pleasant surprises. I had a Barn Swallow mixed in with Tree Swallows, a
pair of Red-cockaded Woodpeckers on refuge road 106 and a flyby Lesser
Yellowlegs.

*Stony Bayou II*

Shorebirds (Dunlin, Western Sandpiper, Greater Yellowlegs, Killdeer &
Long-billed Dowitcher)

Teal (both Green-winged and Blue-winged)

American Flamingo (in its usual spot near the far end)

Roseate Spoonbill (three birds)

Cooper’s Hawk (hunting low over the marsh)

Vermilion Flycatcher (female on the South levee)

*Offshore*

Scaup (Lesser & one Greater)

Bufflehead (at least 70)

Common Goldeneye

Horned Grebe

Loons (Common & one Red-throated)

Gulls (Herring, Laughing & Ring-billed)

This is shift time at St. Marks. The total number of birds and overall
diversity are down from their winter high as winter birds leave faster than
migrants and summer breeders return. This will change as migration kicks in
during March and April. Still, there’s lots to see at St. Marks.

Date: 2/28/19 2:09 pm
From: WILLIAM PHELAN <wmjphelan...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] Spring is here at St Marks NWR
Breeding activity has begun:

I heard singing males of these species:

C. Chickadees--the 3 note song. (I heard the 4 note song at my home yesterday)

T. Titmice, Cardinals, Brown thrasher, Pine warblers, Yellow-throated warblers, Common yellowthroats, N. Parulas, White-eyed vireos

These species were seen in M-F pairs: E. Bluebirds, Chickadees, Pine warblers (and one was carrying nesting material), N. cardinals, etc

The dabbling ducks seem to be all gone.

Flamingo, Vermilion f/c, H. Grebe, Goldeneye, RB Mergansers, Spoonbills, etc. all remain.

Bill Phelan

Tallahassee

Back to top
Date: 2/26/19 4:14 pm
From: 'C or M Johnstone' <anhinga...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] SMNWR - additional refuge tours
Cyndi and I have added two additional tours to those already scheduled at St Marks NWR: Sunday March 10, 9-noon and Wednesday March 20, 10-1. If the flamingo is still present, the tours will take the Stony Bayou 2 circle route; if not, we'll decide what might be most productive, but will definitely be spending most time behind the gates. I had mentioned to some that we might take a trip to Pinhook Bridge, but a tree across the road and a couple of other potential problems for the tour wagon have nixed that option.
The March 20 tour is being advertised as a "Spring Break Special" (or something like that) in hopes of attracting students or families with children, but all are welcome. I believe a mix of beginners and more experienced folks makes for a good group.
Recent tours have been filling up with waiting lists. Make reservations at the visitor center or call 850-925-6121. It is always best to talk to someone rather than leave a voice message. Matt

Back to top
Date: 2/25/19 10:21 am
From: Lynne Erickson <gatormomlynne...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [nflbirds] Summer Tanagers galore
I have had and overwintering pair of summer tanagers in my yard for the first time since I’ve been birding, 10 years or so. I live near Orlando.

Sent from my iPad

> On Feb 25, 2019, at 8:30 AM, 'Cassidy, Rodney' <rodney.cassidy...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> wrote:
>
> We had an observation last week that I am still trying to figure out. After sunset, I had a linear flock of 1200 Tree Swallows that were in a very tight cylinder and heading due north. There was absolutely no feeding activity. I was on the west side of Tallahassee. I have seen large flocks of Tree Swallows coming ashore or leaving at the beach that were migration related, but never this far inland. I also saw my 2nd flock of migratory Turkey Vulture 1000 plus, in Tallahassee, and a flock of 240 White Pelicans soaring very low above a cemetery near Old Bainbridge at Tharpe. Any opinions?
>

> I have seen and photographed Saltmarsh Sparrow in Franklin County, I didn’t know to send any ID questions to Jon Greenlaw, he has helped me before with a different species.
>

> Lastly, it probably is time to plant the tomatoes, if early spring migrants establishing territories are an indicator.
>

> Rodney

Back to top

Date: 2/24/19 5:09 am
From: 'Jeff O'Connell' <jeff.m.oconnell...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] Upcoming AAS bird walks
Hi All,

See below for some upcoming Apalachee Audubon Society bird walks. All are
welcome, just let me know by email (<jeff.m.oconnell...>) if you plan
to attend.

*Saturday, March 9**: Apalachee Regional Park & Fields*

Meet at the Seminole R/C Club Airfield parking area at 7:45am. We’ll loop
around the cross country course, which covers some diverse habitat. Time
permitting, we might stop off at Lafayette Heritage Trail Park afterwards.

*Saturday, March 30**: Panacea *

Meet at the Munson Hill Off-Road Bike Trailhead on Woodville Hwy (just
south of Capital Circle) at 6:50am, and we'll carpool down. Possible stops
include Bottoms road, Mashes Sands, and Bald Point State Park. We’ll be on
the lookout for returning spring birds, as well as lingering winter birds
and year-round coastal residents.

Jeff O’Connell

Back to top
Date: 2/23/19 8:06 am
From: 'Gary Griffin' <heb121...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] FOS singing Parula today
Out running on Miles Johnson Rd in E. Tally this morning and heard 2 N.
Parulas singing away in the woods. I know that they have been reported
sporadically this winter but these are the first ones that I've heard
singing. I guess it is time to plant tomatoes .

Gary

Tallahassee

". let us run with endurance the race that is set before us ."

Hebrews 12:1c

Join us on Facebook!