NFLbirds
Received From Subject
2/17/18 3:30 pm Don Morrow <donaldcmorrow...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] SMNWR--Saturday
2/15/18 6:38 pm Harry Hooper <sn_egret...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] A birders reference for the Gulf of Mexico
2/13/18 11:29 am 'Gary Griffin' <heb121...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> RE: [nflbirds] Great Backyard Bird Count starts Friday!
2/13/18 11:08 am 'C or M Johnstone' <anhinga...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] fw: Stoney Bayou #2 levee is open
2/13/18 10:09 am Fran Rutkovsky <franrutkovsky...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] Great Backyard Bird Count starts Friday!
2/13/18 9:56 am Fran Rutkovsky <franrutkovsky...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] Wildlife-Friendly Yards Tour, Sat. Feb. 17
2/13/18 9:52 am Fran Rutkovsky <franrutkovsky...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] Birding for Beginners, Native Nurseries
2/10/18 9:07 am 'C or M Johnstone' <anhinga...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] off topic - scrub jay advice
2/9/18 7:44 pm <Edwwjr...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] Lake Henrietta and Tram Road Birding Friday in Tallahassee
2/6/18 5:14 pm Don Morrow <donaldcmorrow...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] SMNWR -- Tuesday
2/5/18 7:41 am <cyanoci799...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] Sweetwater Wetlands
2/1/18 2:48 pm Fran Rutkovsky <franrutkovsky...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] Winter Birding at Birdsong, Sat. Feb 3, 8-11 a.m.
1/31/18 7:13 pm sunny phillips <sunny_phillips...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] Tallahassee Baltimore Oriole
1/26/18 2:23 pm Don Morrow <donaldcmorrow...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...> [nflbirds] SMNWR--Friday

Back to top
Date: 2/17/18 3:30 pm
From: Don Morrow <donaldcmorrow...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] SMNWR--Saturday
The Spring duck diaspora at St. Marks NWR has begun and duck numbers have
dropped dramatically over the last ten days. Still, there are lots of good
birds to be seen. In 10.5 hours starting at 6:00 am I logged 95 species
including 17 waterfowl species. Having been away for ten days, I scouted
the refuge in the early morning hours before leading the February Wildlife
tours. It was a good day spent with lots of good birders. Night birds
included Wood Duck, Clapper Rail, Sora and American Bittern. Some other
highlights of the day included:

*Stony Bayou I * (shorebirds came in to the SE corner on the high tide in
the afternoon)

RB Merganser

Plover (BB, SP & Killdeer)

Yellowlegs (Greater & Lesser)

Willet

Ruddy Turnstone

Dunlin

Sandpipers (Western & Least)

Terns (Forster’s & Royal)

Gulls (Laughing, Herring & RB)

*Stony Bayou II*

Wood Duck (predawn flight)

Teal (GW & BW)

Black Duck (2)

Mallard

Northern Pintail (1)

Hooded Merganser

Virginia Rail (calling post-dawn)

Sora (Calling predawn)

American Bittern (predawn and late afternoon)

GH Owl (calling predawn)

Vermilion Flycatcher (first year female)

*Lighthouse Pond*

Teal (GW & BW)

Northern Shoveler

Canvasback

Redhead (1)

Lesser Scaup

Ruddy Duck

Although the total number of birds has dropped, diversity is still quite
high. Birds have started singing, including one Seaside Sparrow opposite
Tower Pond. It’s Springtime! You should go down to SMNWR and go birding.

Good Birding!

Don Morrow
<donaldcmorrow...> <donaldcmorow...>
Tallahassee, FL

Back to top
Date: 2/15/18 6:38 pm
From: Harry Hooper <sn_egret...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] A birders reference for the Gulf of Mexico
nflbirders,
A friend sent me a copy of a large reference work for birds on and around the Gulf of Mexico.  The book is titled "Birdlife of the Gulf of Mexico", published this year (2018) and authored by Joanna Burger, an internationally renowned ornithologist.    It is a magnificent 750 page tome weighing several pounds.  The first 216 pages cover Laws, Regulations, and State Designations, The Land-Water Interface, Avian Uses of the Land-Water Interface,and Factors Affecting Avian Populations.   The remainder of the book is comprised of status and comparisons of indicator species,  indicator species groups and unique resources and what may be expected for the future of these and other species.  The downside is the $75 price tag. But with all the information within, it is a very good reference for serious birders and biologists.
Harry HooperTallahassee, Fl.

Reply https://mail.yahoo.com/#

Back to top
Date: 2/13/18 11:29 am
From: 'Gary Griffin' <heb121...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: RE: [nflbirds] Great Backyard Bird Count starts Friday!
In response to Fran’s note regarding the Great Backyard Bird Count, I invite anyone and everyone to join us at Maclay Gardens State Park this Saturday morning from 6 to 9 am for the GBBC. The Park has a variety of habitat, fronting on Lake Hall and surrounding Lake Overstreet, together with miles of wooded trails that presently are bursting with early morning song..

It’ll be a nice way to begin the day before moving on along to the always-rewarding Apalachee Audubon Yard Tours!

If you have any questions you may email me off-list or visit the Maclay Gardens SP web site (www.floridastateparks.org/park-events/Maclay-Gardens <http://www.floridastateparks.org/park-events/Maclay-Gardens> ) for more information.

Gary Griffin

Tallahassee

"… let us run with endurance the race that is set before us …"

Hebrews 12:1c

Date: 2/13/18 11:08 am
From: 'C or M Johnstone' <anhinga...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] fw: Stoney Bayou #2 levee is open
FYI from the SMNWR Biologist:

Duck use in the southern part of Stoney Bayou #2 has declined and the
levee is now open for normal use. Thanks.
-- Joe Reinman Longleaf Pine Land Management Research & Demonstration
Biologist
North Florida Refuges
P.O. Box 68
St. Marks, FL 32355

Back to top
Date: 2/13/18 10:09 am
From: Fran Rutkovsky <franrutkovsky...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
[...]

--------
Fran Rutkovsky
Tallahassee, FL
<franrutkovsky...>

Back to top
Date: 2/13/18 9:56 am
From: Fran Rutkovsky <franrutkovsky...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] Wildlife-Friendly Yards Tour, Sat. Feb. 17
Apalachee Audubon Society, Inc

Wildlife-Friendly Yards Tour

February 17, 2018 10:00 am to 4:00 pm

Interested in making your yard more attractive to birds and other wildlife? The Apalachee Audubon Society invites you to take a self-guided tour of five local yards that are wildlife havens. Tickets are $10 per person (only cash/check made out to Apalachee Audubon) and will be available for purchase beginning January 20th at Native Nurseries and Wild Birds Unlimited. Ticket holders will receive addresses and directions to each location at the time of purchase.

Each yard has unique features to attract a variety of birds and other wildlife such as wintering hummingbirds, orioles, tanagers, finches, and pine siskins as well as our year-round residents. You will be inspired to maintain your own yard or green space for wildlife, whether it is one birdfeeder, one nest box, one wildflower bed, one garden path, or one natural area.

Make a difference for wildlife, one yard at a time! Join us in our 10th annual Wildlife-Friendly Yards Tour and fundraiser to benefit Apalachee Audubon Society. http://apalachee.org.

For more information contact: Tammy Brown, <tcbrown798...> mailto:<tcbrown798...> , or 933-8154.

--------
Fran Rutkovsky
Tallahassee, FL
<franrutkovsky...>

Back to top
Date: 2/13/18 9:52 am
From: Fran Rutkovsky <franrutkovsky...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] Birding for Beginners, Native Nurseries
BIRDING FOR BEGINNERS

Saturday, Feb. 17, 10-11 a.m.

$3.00 fee — call to register

Learn how to identify the birds in your yard and in the field as well. Jim Cox, Director of the Stoddard Bird Lab at Tall Timbers, is a biologist studying Red-cockaded Woodpeckers, Brown-headed Nuthatches, Bachman's Sparrow and other songbirds. He is a wonderful teacher!

$3.00 fee; proceeds will benefit research at the Stoddard Bird Lab at Tall Timbers. Class size limited; registration required.

Native Nurseries

1661 Centerville Rd., Tallahassee

850-386-8882

--------
Fran Rutkovsky
Tallahassee, FL
<franrutkovsky...>

Back to top
Date: 2/10/18 9:07 am
From: 'C or M Johnstone' <anhinga...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] off topic - scrub jay advice
We are looking for a place to stop for one day on a return from south
Florida in mid-April, roughly between Okeechobee and Lake Wales, in an area
where we have a decent prospect of seeing Scrub Jay and Burrowing Owl. Any
information is much appreciated, including re: lodging. Since this is OT,
please respond directly to me and not to the list. Thanks, Matt Johnstone

Back to top
Date: 2/9/18 7:44 pm
From: <Edwwjr...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] Lake Henrietta and Tram Road Birding Friday in Tallahassee
Spent a couple of hours at Lake Henrietta and then at the Southeast Farm off Tram Road today.

Lots of lesser scaup and tree swallows at the lake. Also some ring-necked ducks and buffleheads. 3 limpkin.

Had a flock fly in a couple of hundred feet ahead of me that I first thought were cowbirds. Then thought a flock of female red-winged blackbirds. Before I reached them they flew away but gave the sounds of neither species. Has anyone had rusty blackbirds at Lake Henrietta recently?

At the farm holding ponds bufflehead were the dominant species but there was one redhead and two common goldeneye. A large flock of cedar waxwings was working the trees along the entrance.

Ed Woodruff
Tallahassee

Back to top
Date: 2/6/18 5:14 pm
From: Don Morrow <donaldcmorrow...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] SMNWR -- Tuesday
A beautiful day at St. Marks NWR. In six hours starting at 10:00 am I
logged 88 species while doing a combination of free lance birding and
shorebird survey. My ostensible purpose was to run the SMNWR Interior Pools
route on the annual state-wide shorebird/seabird survey. Shorebirds were a
little light, but I recorded 2,273 birds of 17 species, which included
cormorants, gulls and pelicans. Some highlights of my day were:

*Stony Bayou II*

Teal (Gw & BW)

American Black Duck

Mallard

Northern Pintail

Redhead

Ring-necked Duck

Hooded Merganser

Killdeer

BB Plover

Greater Yellowlegs

Sora (calling in midday along the North levee)

Vermilion Flycatcher (female on the South levee)

Mounds Pool III

Teal (GW & BW)

American Black Duck

Mallard

BB Plover

Dunlin

Yellowlegs (Greater & Lesser)

Sandpipers (Least & Western)

Dowitchers (Greater & Lesser)

Willet

Tower Pond

BB Plover

Semipalmated Plover

Dunlin

Yellowlegs (Greater & Lesser)

Sandpipers (Least & Western)

Dowitchers (Greater & Lesser)

Willet

Dunlins comprised almost two thirds of the shorebirds with SB Dowitchers,
Western Sandpipers and Willets filling in most of the rest. Killdeer were
notably sparse.

I had two Red-cockaded Woodpeckers on the North/South road just beyond the
Helispot and a cooperative Virginia Rail on Headquarters Pond. If you’re
looking for ducks, hit Lighthouse and Picnic Ponds, then check the South
end of Mounds Pool III to get Black Duck, Mallard and Hooded Merganser.

Date: 2/5/18 7:41 am
From: <cyanoci799...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] Sweetwater Wetlands
We went to Sweetwater Wetlands near Gainesville yesterday. It was drizzling and some wind. But lots of birds and the wild horses were fairly close. I saw more Black Bellied Whistling Ducks than I ever saw in one place.

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

Back to top
Date: 2/1/18 2:48 pm
From: Fran Rutkovsky <franrutkovsky...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] Winter Birding at Birdsong, Sat. Feb 3, 8-11 a.m.
WINTER BIRDING AT BIRDSONG

Saturday, February 3rd

8 to 11AM

Wintertime at Birdsong is a great time to go birding. Join expert birder Marvin Collins for a long, leisurely discovery hike through a variety of excellent bird habitats. If birds are here, Marvin will find them, especially those elusive sparrows and warblers! The hike will wrap up with a visit to the Bird Window, which is typically a very busy place in the winter months. Dress for the weather and for a long walk in the woods. Bring binoculars and field guides.

$5 Friends, $9 nonmembers, children half-price.

Birdsong Nature Center https://www.facebook.com/BirdsongNatureCenter

2106 Meridian Rd., Thomasville, GA 31792 -

(229) 377-4408

www.birdsongnaturecenter.org

twitter.com/BirdsongNatureC

youtube.com/user/BirdsongNatureCenter

http://www.facebook.com/BirdsongNatureCenter/timeline

<birdsong...> mailto:<birdsong...>
or via phone at 1-800-953-2473

--------
Fran Rutkovsky
Tallahassee, FL
<franrutkovsky...>

Back to top
Date: 1/31/18 7:13 pm
From: sunny phillips <sunny_phillips...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] Tallahassee Baltimore Oriole
In addition to American Robins, Grey Catbirds, Brown Thrasher, Hermit Thrush and Summer Tanager I had the very first Baltimore Oriole at my feeder. He was eating my homemade suet (Crispo, corn meal, peanut butter, syrup). Yeah!

~~~~
Sunny Phillips

------------------------------------
Posted by: sunny phillips <sunny_phillips...>

Date: 1/26/18 2:23 pm
From: Don Morrow <donaldcmorrow...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] SMNWR--Friday
It was a cold, smoky morning at St. Marks NWR. Controlled burns from the
day before were still smoldering in the dark. The wind was up which
dampened sound resulting in few night birds. I did call up Barred Owls at
the Double Bridges and get a few Sora to respond to clapping. I also had an
American Bittern flying at dawn. I ended up with 88 species, including 20
waterfowl and 13 shorebird species. Some highlights of my day were:

*Stony Bayou II*

Snow Goose (single white phase bird)

Wood Duck (14)

Black Duck (18 including at least on hybrid Mallard/Black)

Mallard (104)

GW Teal (258)

Redhead (7)

Lesser Scaup (6)

Hooded Merganser (5)

Ruddy Duck (1)

Reddish Egret

*Lighthouse Pond*

BW Teal (3)

Northern Shoveler (7)

GW Teal 3)

Canvasback (15)

Redhead (102)

Ring-necked Duck (1)

Scaup (65, mostly Lesser)

Ruddy Duck 12)

*Picnic Pond*

Gadwall (22)

American Wigeon (169)

Northern Pintail (15)

Redhead (19)

Scaup (21 mostly Lesser)

Bufflehead (8)

There are lots of Ring-necks on Headquarters Pond, along with a
Yellow-crowned Night Heron and a Purple Gallinule. I had eight Goldeneye
along the bars in the mouth of the St Marks River. There was a pale gray
Peregrine hunting over Mounds Pool III. Go birding Saturday before the
rains come in.

Don Morrow
<donaldcmorrow...> <donaldcmorow...>
Tallahassee, FL