ALBirds
Received From Subject
7/16/19 6:26 pm <TNbarredowl...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Leighton area sinkholes
7/12/19 2:41 pm 'Gregory J. Harber' <gharber...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Brown Booby, Lake Logan Martin
7/6/19 8:02 pm 'Gregory J. Harber' <gharber...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Chelsea Park Limpkin continues, 7-6-19
7/6/19 7:59 am <finchtrapper...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] pelagic trip updata
6/22/19 12:39 pm 'Kenneth Ward' <phinken...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] birder survey
6/21/19 9:15 am Lucy Jacobson <lucyj1...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Limpkin

Back to top
Date: 7/16/19 6:26 pm
From: <TNbarredowl...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Leighton area sinkholes

I visited the sinkholes near Leighton this afternoon.  Best location was Gnat Pond. Large numbers of waders (see below). Best birds were a Black-bellied Whistling-Duck and 8 White Ibis. From all ponds, I had 10 species of shorebirds and seven species of waterfowl...not bad for July.  Here's some counts from the area:

The numbers are in the following order: Gnat, Marthaler,  a flooded field on 6th Street,  The Sinks, Wheeler Dam.  Wheeler Dam totals for Great Blue Heron, Great Egret and Cattle Egret are estimates,  all others are counts.

Great Blue Heron 8,2,0,4,20. Total 34
Great Egret 794,14 6,122,100 Total 1036
Snowy Egret 72,1,8 5,16 Total 102
Little Blue Heron 93,1,0,4,3 Total 101
Cattle Egret 6,8,27,5,30 Total 76
Green Heron 1,0,0,0,0 Total 1
White Ibis 8,0,0,0,0 Total 8

Only 38 of the Little Blue Herons were immature,  all at Gnat Pond.

Shorebirds included Killdeer,  Stilt Sandpiper (Marthaler), Least, Pectoral and Semipalmated Sandpipers, Dowitcher sp. (too distant at Marthaler), Spotted and Solitary Sandpipers, Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs.

Waterfowl included Black-bellied Whistling-Duck, Canada Goose,  Blue-winged Teal, Mallard,  Redhead,  Ring-necked Duck and Lesser Scaup..

Unfortunately,  the only tropical storm waif were 2 adult Black Terns at Wheeler Dam.

Damien Simbeck
Killen AL

Sent from my smart phone. You can teach an old dog new tricks.

Back to top
Date: 7/12/19 2:41 pm
From: 'Gregory J. Harber' <gharber...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Brown Booby, Lake Logan Martin
Hello All-

A quick report. This afternoon the staff at the Birmingham Audubon Society received a report, with an accompanying photo, of an immature Brown Booby reported from a private residence on Lake Logan Martin, south of Pell City (on the Coosa River well south of I-20). No doubt this was a storm-driven bird this far inland. Might be worth your time to visit some nearby bodies of water for other species not normally found away from the coast. As always, though, monitor the weather conditions in your area and don't drive in treacherous conditions or flooded roadways.

Take care, Greg

Gregory J. Harber
Birmingham, AL
<gharber...>

Visit my photo page in The Art Shop at
http://www.calvinwildphotography.com

Ornithological Society (AOS) and is provided
as a service to the birding community. AOS
does not endorse the views or opinions expressed
by the members of this discussion group. Nor
does AOS support or endorse the advertising
provided by the Yahoo Groups list service.

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
<albirds-digest...>
<albirds-fullfeatured...>

<albirds-unsubscribe...>

Back to top
Date: 7/6/19 8:02 pm
From: 'Gregory J. Harber' <gharber...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Chelsea Park Limpkin continues, 7-6-19
Hello All-

I was curious as to whether the Limpkin still continues at Chelsea Park and indeed I found and photographed it there early this evening, about 7:15. It was walking and feeding along the shoreline, well in the open.

Does anyone know the status of the Limpkin that had been reported at Ebenezer Swamp? After seeing a photo of the Limpkin photographed on the Cahaba River last week I am convinced there are at three Limpkins in the Birmingham area - which is almost unheard of.

Thanks all, Greg

Date: 7/6/19 7:59 am
From: <finchtrapper...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] pelagic trip updata
Just a quick note that I prepaid for our pelagic boat trip back in May so the August 10 pelagic trip is set on the calendar. We'll leave out of Orange Beach in the morning (probably 6 or 630 am) on August 10 and be out until that evening. I'll send out a detailed note with meeting time and place to participants in the next couple of weeks, but I just wanted make sure everyone knew that the trip is on. We still have room for more participants if anyone who has not contacted me wants to go. I'll collect payment for the trip at the dock based on how many people show up.
Geoff Hill

Back to top
Date: 6/22/19 12:39 pm
From: 'Kenneth Ward' <phinken...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] birder survey
Hi All,

I got a request from a Ph.D candidate at Boise State University, who is
studying the link between the attributes of individual birders in the US and
the type and intensity of bird conservation action they take. Results will
be used to improve public policies for bird conservation. He sent a link to
a survey:

<https://boisestate.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_dmwJXVkEWZb8JUN>
https://boisestate.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_dmwJXVkEWZb8JUN

"Participation is voluntary, no personally identifiable information will be
collected, and all responses will be kept confidential. This study is for
educational purposes only and involves no foreseeable serious risks. Data
will be accessible only to me and my advisory committee and will be used to
produce scholarly and popular publications on the topic. If there are any
questions that make you uncomfortable or that you would prefer not to
answer, just skip over those. You may discontinue the survey at any time.
This survey will require 10-12 minutes of your time."

There is contact information with the survey, if you have any questions.
Hope you'll consider participating; I did and it doesn't take long.

Thanks, Ken Ward

Back to top
Date: 6/21/19 9:15 am
From: Lucy Jacobson <lucyj1...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Limpkin
The limpkin was at Chelsea Park pond this morning.

Sent from my iPhone