ALBirds
Received From Subject
12/13/18 6:40 am 'Simbeck, Damien J' <djsimbeck...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] AOS Winter meeting - Wheeler Boat trip
12/12/18 7:29 pm Ken Hare <kmhare46...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] AOS winter meeting features endangered species expert, field trips
12/6/18 7:41 am 'Simbeck, Damien J' <djsimbeck...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Wings of Winter Festival
11/24/18 7:41 pm Patricia Hefner <patriciahefner2444...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] CBC
11/24/18 8:03 am Bob Reed <bobreed1987...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> Re: [ALBIRDS] Christmas Bird Counts in Alabama
11/23/18 3:35 pm Ken Hare <kmhare46...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Snow Goose in Montgomery County
11/23/18 11:57 am Ken Hare <kmhare46...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Christmas Bird Counts in Alabama
11/21/18 12:53 pm 'Lucy and Bob Duncan' <robertaduncan...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Impressive number of winter visitors
11/21/18 11:10 am <gm72125...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Anyone want a Juvenile Red-headed Woodpecker?
11/21/18 3:21 am 'Kenneth Ward' <phinken...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] mistake on leader info for Pensacola CBC
11/20/18 8:08 pm 'Kenneth Ward' <phinken...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] list of Audubon Christmas Bird Counts for Alabama and nearby areas in TN, GA and FL, 2018-19
11/19/18 7:31 am 'Simbeck, Damien J' <djsimbeck...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] New CBC at Wheeler Dam - Help needed
11/18/18 8:27 am 'Andrew Haffenden' <andrew...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> RE: [ALBIRDS] Good birding today
11/15/18 7:02 am 'Kenneth Ward' <phinken...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] need information on Fort Morgan CBC

Back to top
Date: 12/13/18 6:40 am
From: 'Simbeck, Damien J' <djsimbeck...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] AOS Winter meeting - Wheeler Boat trip
I thought I would send out details about the Winter Meeting boat trip so everyone wouldn't have to email me individually with questions. The trip will leave the state park marina at 7:00 Saturday morning and will last approximately 6 hours (marina is located just down the hill from the lodge). We will head downriver to Wheeler Dam, lock through to Wilson Reservoir, then head toward Hog Island (The Point). After viewing the many ducks there, we will return to Wheeler Dam and chum the gulls below the dam. We will then lock back through the dam and chum the gulls above the dam. If time allows, we will also cruise upriver toward Rogersville and Elk River. The trip will cost $55.00 per person, payable to AOS during Friday evening registration (does not include gratuity for Captain Steve). It will also be nice if each participant can bring 2-3 loaves of bread to chum the gulls...the more the merrier.

Everyone will need to bring lunch/snacks/drinks for the day, but try to limit the size of your lunch box/cooler. We must have 14 people registered by January 20. Maximum load for a birding trip is 20 people, first come, first served (the boat actually holds 24, but we limit it to 20 so we will have more room to move around bird watching). Captain Steve will make any necessary last-minute calls if weather is an issue (primarily high winds). The boat is covered, in case of rain, and he can have an onboard heater, in case of very cold conditions (Note: Dress for 10-15 degrees less than actual temperature). There is a marine toilet on board and we will stop at the boat ramp below Wheeler Dam if folks want to use the restroom there.

To get your name on the list, send me an email (tnbarredowl@aol) before January 20. Again, you will pay AOS during registration January 25.

Damien Simbeck
Killen, AL

Back to top
Date: 12/12/18 7:29 pm
From: Ken Hare <kmhare46...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] AOS winter meeting features endangered species expert, field trips

Dr. Conor P. McGowan, a research biologist whose work involves endangered shorebirds, will be the featured speaker at the winter meeting of the Alabama Ornithological Society Jan. 25-27 at Joe Wheeler State Park.
The meeting also will feature birding field trips to Wheeler National Wildlife Refuge and Key Cave NWR, as well as a boating field trip on Wilson Lake.
McGowan is the Acting Unit Leader of the U.S. Geological Survey Alabama Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Unit. His work focuses on decision support science in endangered species conservation.
AOS welcomes new members. Dues are modest, and membership provides the opportunity to hear leading experts in ornithology and to take part in birding field trips with some of the best birders in the nation.
For information on AOS membership and to register for the winter meeting, go to: www.aosbirds.org

Back to top
Date: 12/6/18 7:41 am
From: 'Simbeck, Damien J' <djsimbeck...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Wings of Winter Festival
The registration deadline for the second annual Wings of Winter birding festival is fast approaching. The festival, based out of Paris, TN, features field trips to Cross Creeks NWR, Tennessee NWR (Britton Ford, Big Sandy and Duck River units), Camden Dewatering Unit WMA, Johnsonville State Park, Paris Landing State Park, Kentucky Dam Village State Park, Kentucky Dam, Land Between the Lakes, Fort Donelson and Fort Heiman NMP, and TVA's Harmon Creek Management Unit. This year, a cruise aboard the CQ Princess will be available on Friday afternoon for up-close looks at waterfowl, gulls, pelicans, loons and grebes near the mouth of Big Sandy River (a known hotspot for rare water birds in Tennessee). Guest speakers for the weekend include Joel Greenburg (Passenger Pigeon author) and Richard Crossley (photographer and field guide author). The guest speakers will also be assisting with the field trips, so this is a great opportunity to bird with them.

Registration has been extended until December 31, but many field trips are almost full. If you want to enjoy a weekend of great birding and great talks about birds, get registered as soon as possible. Festival dates are January 18-20 (the week before the AOS winter meeting at Joe Wheeler State Park); back to back birding adventures!

Register at: http://www.friendstnwr.org/wings-of-winter.html

Damien Simbeck
Killen, AL

Back to top
Date: 11/24/18 7:41 pm
From: Patricia Hefner <patriciahefner2444...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] CBC
I will be counting the birds on December 14>
Patricia
In loving support of my canaries Sonja, Persephone and Irina

Ornithological Society (AOS) and is provided
as a service to the birding community. AOS
does not endorse the views or opinions expressed
by the members of this discussion group. Nor
does AOS support or endorse the advertising
provided by the Yahoo Groups list service.

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
<albirds-digest...>
<albirds-fullfeatured...>

<albirds-unsubscribe...>

Back to top
Date: 11/24/18 8:03 am
From: Bob Reed <bobreed1987...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [ALBIRDS] Christmas Bird Counts in Alabama
Our former president, Ken Ward, did a bunch of work to put this together.
I know, because I've done it before. Thank you, both Kens, for the work
and the sharing.

Bob Reed
Colonel, US Army, Retired
334 207 0985 Mobile

On Fri, Nov 23, 2018, 13:57 Ken Hare <kmhare46...> [albirds] <
<albirds-noreply...> wrote:

> If you would like to take part in one of 11 Audubon Christmas Bird Counts
> in Alabama, information is available on the Alabama Ornithological Society
> website. The CBC is the oldest and largest citizen science event in the
> world. For more than a hundred years, people have gathered on one day
> between Dec. 14-Jan. 5 to identify and count birds. In the process, they
> created a pool of bird data that is a valuable source of information on the
> status and distribution of early winter bird populations. Parties of
> birders are assigned to different parts of a count circle, 15 miles in
> diameter, to identify and count all birds seen or heard. There are
> currently 11 active count circles in Alabama and more than 2000 nationwide.
> (Thanks to Ken Ward for compiling this information.) For scheduling and how
> to participate, go to: https://www.aosbirds.org/2018-christmas-counts/
> Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 11/23/18 3:35 pm
From: Ken Hare <kmhare46...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Snow Goose in Montgomery County
If anyone would like to see a Snow Goose in Montgomery County, my granddaughter and I just saw a dark morph (colloquially a Blue Goose) in a field across from the entrance to The Waters. Addie, 6, actually saw it first. We drove out to check a report of a Black Scoter on Lake Cameron, but no luck there. Dozens of Ruddy Ducks and 18 Buffleheads on the lake, however, but the light was too bad to ID dozen of ducks at the far side of the lake. I did scope what appeared to be a scoter by shape, but too far for a positive identification in such poor light. A highlight for Addie was a Bald Eagle over the lake.
Ken Hare

Sent from my iPhone

Date: 11/23/18 11:57 am
From: Ken Hare <kmhare46...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Christmas Bird Counts in Alabama

Date: 11/21/18 12:53 pm
From: 'Lucy and Bob Duncan' <robertaduncan...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Impressive number of winter visitors
Hi all,

For two days now, winter visitors have been in or flying over our
neighborhood in Gulf Breeze. In the morning between sunrise and about 9
a.m., Goldfinches and Robins can be seen in multiple flocks of about 20 -50
birds flying west over the 'hood' and out over Pensacola Bay. Some are so
high we can only see them in binos. We are inundated with Goldfinches, the
most Lucy and I have ever seen here. They seem to be everywhere, even at the
shopping center about 2 mi east. Some have stopped to feed, appearing
everywhere there is short grass or seeds in trees. We have had more Phoebes
than usual as well, not to mention Red-breasted Nuthatches continually at
our feeders. Waxwings showed up for the first time today. Rare for our yard,
a Junco appeared yesterday and today. A very late Red-eyed Vireo briefly
stopped by yesterday. It has been a strange fall migration, rather
disappointing species and numbers-wise but all these birds almost make up
for it.

Lucy and I made a weekend trip to St. Marks NWR and had a great time,
tallying 107 birds but duck numbers this early were dismal. The impoundments
have high water and much of the freshwater aquatic vegetation has been
killed as well as much of the vegetation on the impoundment peripheries.
Fortunately, few large trees were down on the main refuge, basically several
oaks just south of the restroom near Picnic Pond. From the amount and type
of debris that is still entangled in the roadside vegetation, it's obvious
that storm tides worked well inland. It's amazing to realize how much work
has been done to clean up and to start repairs near lighthouse pond.

From about 30 - 40 mi east of Bristol on the Appalachicola R. and west
through Blountstown, the forests and pine plantations have been badly
damaged including the river bottom forest. Lots of blue roofs (tarps) in
Bristol and Blountstown, and that's about 30 - 40 mi inland from the coast.
From the highway, it appeared that newer homes and buildings fared much
better than older ones. The blue roofs were reminiscent of Escambia and
Santa Rosa Counties after H. Ivan in 2004, as were the huge piles and piles
of beautiful downed hardwoods cut and piled roadside. It was encouraging to
see that some of the pines are being harvested. It was woefully obvious to
see where the hurricane's eye passed over just by seeing which way the
remaining trees were leaning. I imagine that the sound of chainsaws is music
to the residents' ears, and luckily there were road crews for miles and
miles cutting and piling the debris.

Nature is to be revered.

Bob and Lucy Duncan

Back to top
Date: 11/21/18 11:10 am
From: <gm72125...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Anyone want a Juvenile Red-headed Woodpecker?
Just found a freshly deceased juvenile-plumaged Red-headed Woodpecker. No visible sign of injury. No red plumage at all. It is in very good condition. I'm in the phone book, if anyone is permitted to collect it, you are welcome to it, I'm in the phone directory and telephone number is easy to find online. Sorry it was this species. Perhaps it succombed to the cold or starved. Seems rather late for one so young. 1pm Wednesday, Nov. 21, 2018. -Ken Archambault, Homewood, AL

Back to top
Date: 11/21/18 3:21 am
From: 'Kenneth Ward' <phinken...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] mistake on leader info for Pensacola CBC
Hi All, I made a mistake The count leader for the Pensacola CBC on December
15, 2018 is Daniel Strangeland, contact information
<http://dpstang71hotmail.com> dpstang71hotmail.com, 850-686-3502.

My apologies, especially to Bill and Daniel. I had heard from Mr. Bremser of
the change and had the new information, totally on me.

Ken W

Back to top
Date: 11/20/18 8:08 pm
From: 'Kenneth Ward' <phinken...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] list of Audubon Christmas Bird Counts for Alabama and nearby areas in TN, GA and FL, 2018-19
Hi All,

I have included below (hope it's readable; if not check out the version on
the AOS website) a 2018-19 list of CBCs with dates, a contact person and
other pertinent information. Hope you'll consider participating, if you are
able; these counts seem to be getting more and more short-handed from
year-to-year. For most, there is a good deal of flexibility as to how you
participate (how long you stay out, whether or not you go to compilation,
what time you meet a party), to encourage more participation (consult with
count leader on this to find out what's feasible). You don't have to be a
seasoned birder to participate - the more eyes the better, and good
photographic skills can be very useful too for documenting rarities and
such. Worth mentioning too that they are a lot of fun :).

Hope you'll consider participating, and please spread the word :). A
version of this list (with some more detail, including an overview of CBCs)
can also be found on the Alabama Ornithological Society website at
www.aosbirds.org <http://www.aosbirds.org>

Thanks, Ken

Alabama and nearby GA/FL/TN Audubon Christmas Bird Counts (CBCs) - 2018-19

1. Waterloo, AL - December 15, 2018, Paul Kittle (256-627-2376;
<pdkittle...> <mailto:<pdkittle...> )

2. Dauphin Island, AL - December 15, 2018, Howard Horne
(<hhorne...>)

Teams cover Dauphin Island as well as part of the south Mobile County
mainland

3. Wheeler NWR, Decatur, AL - December 15, 2018, Dwight Cooley
(256-565-6239, <sabrewing...> <mailto:<sabrewing...> )

See NABS schedule at www.northalbirding.com <http://www.northalbirding.com>
for more information

4. Pensacola, FL - December 15, 2018, Bill Bremser (
<mailto:<billbremser...> <billbremser...>; 828-733-7444)

5. Auburn, AL - December 15, 2018, Geoff Hill (334-332-4930;
<ghill...> <mailto:<ghill...> )

6. Cullman, AL - December 16, 2018, Vince Meleski (256-739-4589,
<vmeleski...> <mailto:<vmeleski...> or
<vincemeleski...> <mailto:<vincemeleski...> )

Counters meet at Culpepper Real Estate (601 7th Ave SW, Cullman, AL 35055,
close to the Post Office) to assign areas to be covered. This count is
frequently short-handed, so we hope some of you will consider helping out.
Those who want to help for part of the day (morning or afternoon) can also
participate. We will re-meet for compilation at 5:00 pm at Karma's Coffee
House (103 1st Ave NE, Cullman, AL 35055).

7. Tuscaloosa, AL - December 16, 2018, David Arnold (205-792-0653)

8. Choctawatchee Bay FL - December 17, 2018, Alan Knothe (850-208-1780,
<birdman6419...> <mailto:<birdman6419...> ; email is best)

9. Eufaula NWR (ALEU), Eufaula, AL - December 18, 2018, Mason Jarrett
(<beltedkingfisher2000...> <mailto:<beltedkingfisher2000...> )

Interested parties can either sign up on the CBC website at
http://netapp.audubon.org/cbc/public/, or email me.

10. Buffalo River, Lawrenceburg, TN - December 18, 2018, Damien Simbeck
(256-856-3079; <tnbarredowl...> <mailto:<tnbarredowl...> )

11. Birmingham, AL - December 22, 2018, Paul Franklin
(<phfranklin36...> <mailto:<phfranklin36...> ; 205-542-7647)

Compilation will begin at 5:30 pm at the Birmingham Audubon Society office,
3720 4th Ave S, second floor (park and enter at the rear of the building).

12. Guntersville, AL - December 26, 2018, Linda Reynolds (256-582-2970,
<rreynolds...> <mailto:<rreynolds...> )

We have 8 parties and the area covers a lot of lakeshore as well as upland
and woodland terrain. We usually start around 7 am and conclude with a
supper compilation around 5 pm at the Guntersville Library. See NABS
schedule at www.northalbirding.com <http://www.northalbirding.com> for more
information

13. Savannah, TN - December 27, 2018 (tentative), Damien Simbeck
(256-856-3079; <tnbarredowl...> <mailto:<tnbarredowl...> )

Meet at 5:30 am at McDonalds in Savannah (corner of Hwy 64 and 128)

14. Montgomery, AL - January 2, 2019, Carrie Threadgill (334-242-3864,
<carrie.threadgill...>
<mailto:<carrie.threadgill...> ]

15. Wheeler Dam, Lauderdale/Lawrence Counties, AL - January 2, 2019, Damien
Simbeck, Leader (256-856-3079; <tnbarredowl...>
<mailto:<tnbarredowl...>?subject=Lawrenceburg,%20TN%20Christmas%20Count>
)

I am hoping to begin a new Christmas Bird Count here in North Alabama,
centered near Wheeler Dam. Per National Audubon Society recommendations, we
will make a dry run this year, then officially start the count next year.
The count will be conducted on January 2 each year. In years when January 2
falls on a Sunday, the count will be conducted on Monday, January 3. The
circle will be centered near the mouth of Big Nance Creek below Wheeler Dam.
It covers the Tennessee River from the mouth of the Elk River to Fourmile
Creek/Lime Kiln Hollow. On the north side of the river, the circle will
include Rogersville, Joe Wheeler State Park, First and Second Creeks, Elgin
Crossroads, Center Star and areas west to near Brooks High School (Killen).
On the south side, it will include the mouth of Spring Creek, Red Bank
Marsh, Wheeler Dam, Town Creek Marsh, The Point and The Sinks. I currently
have 5 confirmed party leaders. I need at least 6, though 8 would be
preferred. I will also need participants to join those leaders. If you would
like to assist, let me know as soon as possible

16. Columbus, GA (ALEU) - January 3, 2019, Mason Jarrett (706-992-8864;
<beltedkingfisher2000...> <mailto:<beltedkingfisher2000...> )

Interested parties can either sign up on the CBC website at
http://netapp.audubon.org/cbc/public/, or email me.

17. Gulf Shores, AL - January 5, 2019, Greg Jackson and Howard Horne
(<hhorne...> <mailto:<hhorne...> )

18. Fort Morgan, AL - Date TBA, Larry Gardella (334-450-9790 (C);
<lgardellabirds...> <mailto:<lgardellabirds...> )

Back to top
Date: 11/19/18 7:31 am
From: 'Simbeck, Damien J' <djsimbeck...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] New CBC at Wheeler Dam - Help needed
I am hoping to begin a new Christmas Bird Count here in North Alabama, centered near Wheeler Dam. Per National Audubon Society recommendations, we will make a dry run this year, then officially start the count next year. The count will be conducted on January 2 each year. In years when January 2 falls on a Sunday, the count will be conducted on Monday, January 3. The circle will be centered near the mouth of Big Nance Creek below Wheeler Dam. It covers the Tennessee River from the mouth of the Elk River to Fourmile Creek/Lime Kiln Hollow. On the north side of the river, the circle will include Rogersville, Joe Wheeler State Park, First and Second Creeks, Elgin Crossroads, Center Star and areas west to near Brooks High School (Killen). On the south side, it will include the mouth of Spring Creek, Red Bank Marsh, Wheeler Dam, Town Creek Marsh, The Point and The Sinks. I currently have 5 confirmed party leaders. I need at least 6, though 8 would be preferred. I will also need participants to join those leaders. If you would like to assist, let me know as soon as possible (<tnbarredowl...><mailto:<tnbarredowl...>).

Damien Simbeck
Killen, AL

Back to top
Date: 11/18/18 8:27 am
From: 'Andrew Haffenden' <andrew...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: RE: [ALBIRDS] Good birding today
Similarly a 40+ species day, with 42 recorded on a walk along Pelican
yesterday morning with Katie Barnes, Collin Stempien and another 14 people
joining in on the bird identification walk. Yep, 14 mostly newer birders
coming out to learn about shorebirds, terns and gulls, many for the 2nd or
3rd time. Highlights of the walk were over 60 Black Scoters, 7 Surf Scoters,
and 5 Red Knots. 15 Green-winged Teal and around 40 Bufflehead added to the
duck presence, and many Horned grebes had also just arrived. So the ducks
are also reflecting the northern invasion this year a- the carpark birds
including a flock of some 40 Goldfinches. In the carpark area an additional
8 or 10 or so species were recorded, including a beautiful dark-backed
Peregrine Falcon, not the usual tundra form we see, for a 50+ morning in
just one major habitat, beach.

Cheers

Andrew Haffenden

Date: 11/15/18 7:02 am
From: 'Kenneth Ward' <phinken...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] need information on Fort Morgan CBC
Hi All,

I am compiling a list of Christmas Counts for Alabama and other nearby areas
in FL, TN, GA and MS. I plan to have information out (contact person, date
of count, other pertinent information, as needed) by sometime over the
weekend. As far as I know, I am only missing information for the Tuscaloosa
and Fort Morgan CBCs. I have been in contact with the Tuscaloosa count
leader, but have not been able to get any information on the Fort Morgan
count, if there is one this year. If any of you have information on that
count or know someone who might, please let me know. This list will be
spread around in a variety of ways and it can be helpful in locating others
who would like to help out with these counts, most of which have had
declining participation over the past several years. Also, if you know of
new counts planned this year in our area, please let me know.

Thanks, Ken Ward

Join us on Facebook!