ALBirds
Received From Subject
5/20/18 8:21 pm Andrew Haffenden <andrew...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> RE: [ALBIRDS] flamingos
5/20/18 6:32 pm 'Lucy and Bob Duncan' <robertaduncan...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] flamingos
5/20/18 6:29 pm 'Lucy and Bob Duncan' <robertaduncan...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] flamingos
5/20/18 9:50 am Ken Hare <kmhare46...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Help needed from experienced birders for research project in West Alabama
5/18/18 8:39 am Ken Hare <kmhare46...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Photo gallery from AOS spring meeting on Dauphin Island
5/17/18 4:00 pm Donald Self <donaldself...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Re: Help needed from experienced birders for research project in West Alabama
5/17/18 1:11 pm Ken Hare <kmhare46...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Help needed from experienced birders for research project in West Alabama
5/15/18 8:37 pm 'Damien J. Simbeck' <TNbarredowl...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Peep Show and Stilt
5/15/18 2:04 pm john cole <johnb_cole...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Dauphin Island Common Nighthawk
5/12/18 5:34 am Lawrence Gardella <lgardellabirds...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Shorebirds at Blakeley Mud Lakes
5/12/18 4:45 am <marymaxwell...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> RE: [ALBIRDS] Great Blue Heron with fishing hook and line in neck Dauphin Island
5/11/18 5:38 pm <marymaxwell...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Great Blue Heron with fishing hook and line in neck Dauphin Island
5/10/18 4:07 pm Elizabeth Copper <ecopper...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Gray kingbird DI Isle Dauphine
5/10/18 4:06 pm Elizabeth Copper <ecopper...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Fwd: Gray kingbird DI Isle Dauphine
5/9/18 1:54 pm 'Lucy and Bob Duncan' <robertaduncan...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] "Mallards" on eBird
5/6/18 7:51 pm 'Damien J. Simbeck' <TNbarredowl...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Shoals Big Day, The Sequel
5/5/18 5:55 am John Ehinger <johnehinger...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Tom Brindley
5/5/18 5:55 am <jpitocch...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Request for assistance - recordings of migrating Mourning Warbler songs
5/4/18 5:06 am Kenneth Wills <Memontei...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Ruffner Closed Today
5/3/18 2:05 pm mike ribbons <mikecarsonribbons...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] House Big Day - April 27 Homewood
5/2/18 7:06 pm <TNbarredowl...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Shoals Big Day
5/2/18 1:17 pm BRIAN JOHNSTON <johnston127235...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Nice article on current Ft Morgan, AL bird banding
5/2/18 5:55 am Ken Hare <kmhare46...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Mississippi Kite in Montgomery
5/1/18 6:34 am 'Lucy and Bob Duncan' <robertaduncan...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Better days for migrants
5/1/18 6:30 am Ken Hare <kmhare46...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> Re: [ALBIRDS] Crenshaw County April 30
4/30/18 8:26 pm 'Gregory J. Harber' <gharber...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> Re: [ALBIRDS] Crenshaw County April 30
4/30/18 6:57 pm James Holmes <jfholmes...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Crenshaw County April 30
4/29/18 9:02 am <deechancey...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] BAS Birdcount on Tanyard Road, Wilsonville, AL
4/28/18 8:26 pm 'Greg D. Jackson' <g_d_jackson...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Red Mtn. Park this AM (28 Apr)
4/28/18 2:06 pm <TNbarredowl...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] White-faced Ibis
4/27/18 4:47 pm 'Greg D. Jackson' <g_d_jackson...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Ruffner Mtn. NP this AM (Fri, 27 Apr)
4/27/18 11:03 am 'Simbeck, Damien J' <djsimbeck...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] More time at Wilson Dam
4/26/18 8:57 pm James Holmes <jfholmes...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Escambia County April 26
4/26/18 8:48 pm James Holmes <jfholmes...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Dauphin Island April 26
4/26/18 8:41 pm <TNbarredowl...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Re: Weather and birds this week
4/26/18 8:11 pm 'Lucy and Bob Duncan' <robertaduncan...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Weather & birds this week
4/25/18 10:58 am 'Gregory J. Harber' <gharber...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> Re: [ALBIRDS] Tommy Pratt
4/25/18 8:34 am <charleskennedy...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Tommy Pratt
4/24/18 11:31 am Dana Hamilton <stan_dana_h...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Great Morning at Ruffner
4/20/18 8:11 am Ken Hare <kmhare46...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Two Bachman’s Sparrows at Splinter Hill Bog

Back to top
Date: 5/20/18 8:21 pm
From: Andrew Haffenden <andrew...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: RE: [ALBIRDS] flamingos
Oooh, going to be out looking.

Cheers,

Andrew Haffenden

Date: 5/20/18 6:32 pm
From: 'Lucy and Bob Duncan' <robertaduncan...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Joan noted the location as follows:

30.651889,-87.791233

Lucy Duncan

Back to top

Date: 5/20/18 9:50 am
From: Ken Hare <kmhare46...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Help needed from experienced birders for research project in West Alabama
To Alabama birders:

Dr. David Wiedenfeld, the senior conservationist scientist with the American Bird Conservancy, is seeking some experienced birders to help with a study he is leading that involves the effects of private managed forestry on bird populations.

The approach will be much like a Breeding Bird Survey, except the specific 89 GPS points that will need to be birded are not on established routes but scattered through a few counties in Mississippi and Alabama near the state line. Mississippi birders are arranged and will handle that side of the line. The specific 70-plus GPS sites in Alabama are in Greene and Pickens counties. As with BBS, strong birding by ear is necessary to participate in the ABC Project.

The target dates for the survey are May 26 - June 24 .

David's letter is pasted below.

If you have any interest in helping, please let me know soon and I will send you the specific GPS sites and study protocol. If you know of other strong birders who might help, please share their contact information with me or have them contact me.

Thank you for your interest,

Ken Hare

Alabama Ornithological Society

===

Fellow Birders—

Thanks for any help you can give--I appreciate your interest in this.

We’re trying to answer the question of how forests managed to meet the certification standards of the Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI; see sfiprogram.org ) are benefiting birds.

To that end, we’re asking birders for help, in an avicaching project. “Avicaching” (like geocaching), is visiting pre-selected sites, and making a bird list for the site following simple instructions. In our case, we’re asking help with a bird survey of SFI certified lands, using surveys along roadsides, kind of like a Breeding Bird Survey, except our stops aren’t grouped into routes.

The quick summary of our survey methods:

* Visit survey points (coordinates are given in attached files) from May 26 to June 24 between 5:45-10:00 am.
* Do not trespass on private lands; stay on roadside. Be careful of snakes, traffic, ticks, heat and other hazards.
* Quietly wait 2 minutes, then count for 5 minutes, all birds heard or seen in ¼ mile.
* Enter the list of birds including numbers for each point separately into eBird; write “SFI Working Forest Sampling 2018” in the comments field.

The points we’ve selected for the survey can be seen on this interactive web map: https://arcg.is/11jOXm The web map is pretty easy to use. You can zoom and pan, and if you click on a point a pop-up will give you the latitude and longitude, but only to two decimal places.

The points are selected so that they are on low-traffic public roads, have SFI-certified lands on both sides, and are otherwise random. The distribution of the points corresponds with the forested area in the project area pretty well.

I’ve also attached four files to this email:

* Protocol for Avicaching Working Forests--AL-MS.pdf This file contains the instructions and details for the survey.
* Aliceville avicaching points.pdf This file contains the latitude and longitude coordinates for all 89 points in the survey. The coordinates are given in both decimal degrees and in degrees and decimal minutes formats.
* Aliceville avicaching points.xlsx This is exactly the same as the PDF version, just in Excel format, so you can sort and organize if you wish.
* Aliceville_AviPoints_89.kmz This is a Google Earth file containing the same points. If you use Google Earth you can see where the points are located on that.

We can’t pay, but your efforts are very useful citizen science, and we hope can help toward the conservation of birds. Besides our study, eBird will store and make the data available to their own mapping efforts and to other birders and scientists for many years to come. These kinds of data are very useful for a host of studies, including forestry, climate change, bird migration, and many others.

We do appreciate your effort, though, and will provide everyone who surveys at least one point with a t-shirt. Your help is great!

Many thanks for your efforts!

David A. Wiedenfeld, Ph.D.

Sr. Conservation Scientist

American Bird Conservancy

PO Box 249, The Plains, VA 20198 USA

540-253-5780 ofc

540-260-5596 cell

Back to top
Date: 5/18/18 8:39 am
From: Ken Hare <kmhare46...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Photo gallery from AOS spring meeting on Dauphin Island
A report on the Alabama Ornithological Society spring meeting last month on Dauphin Island has been posted, complete with a photo gallery of some of the 130 species of birds seen during the 3-day meeting. Photos include Painted Bunting, Tanager, Kingfisher, Warblers, and Great Horned Owls, including owlets. See it at:
https://www.aosbirds.org/

Back to top
Date: 5/17/18 4:00 pm
From: Donald Self <donaldself...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Ken -- First a question:  Are we visiting each site only once or may we visit a site several times during the time frame?  Judy and I can take  sites AV 30, 45 and 75.  They're reasonably close to us.  As to the area north of Eutaw in Greene County, it's a whole lot closer to Tuscaloosa than we are, but in a real pinch, we could go a little further north.  Please advise.
Don

Back to top
Date: 5/17/18 1:11 pm
From: Ken Hare <kmhare46...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>

Dr. David Wiedenfeld, the senior conservationist scientist with the American Bird Conservancy, is seeking some experienced birders to help with a study he is leading that involves the effects of private managed forestry on bird populations.

The approach will be much like a Breeding Bird Survey, except the specific 100 GPS points that will need to be birded are not on established routes but scattered through a few counties in Mississippi and Alabama near the state line. Mississippi birders will handle that side of the line. The specific GPS sites in Alabama are in Greene and Pickens counties. As with BBS, strong birding by ear is necessary to participate in the ABC Project.

The target dates for the survey are May 26 - June 24 .

David's letter is pasted below.

If you have any interest in helping, please let both me and David know soon.. If you know of other strong birders who might help, please share their contact information with me or have them contact me.

Date: 5/15/18 8:37 pm
From: 'Damien J. Simbeck' <TNbarredowl...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Peep Show and Stilt
I've been on the road all day for work, but started the day with a run by the Leighton sinkhole ponds. I left my notes in my vehicle tonight, so here's a quick summary. The Sinks had very few birds, highlighted with 3 Baird's Sandpipers. Leighton Chicken Pond was the honey hole, with hundreds of peeps with all regular species present. (Pectoral, Least, Semipalmated, Western, Baird's, White-rumped and Dunlin). Most were Semipalmated (60) and Least (50)...numbers from memory, so estimates in this email. Marthaler Pond also had the five small peeps, plus several Semipalmated Plovers. One Black-necked Stilt was seen in the distant northwest corner, only after it flew up and back down in an area of corn stubble. Two stilts were reported to me by others last Tuesday and again on Friday. I also got a call this afternoon to report two being present then. Maybe with high water levels, they will once again attempt to nest here.

Damien Simbeck
Killen AL

Ornithological Society (AOS) and is provided
as a service to the birding community. AOS
does not endorse the views or opinions expressed
by the members of this discussion group. Nor
does AOS support or endorse the advertising
provided by the Yahoo Groups list service.

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
<albirds-digest...>
<albirds-fullfeatured...>

<albirds-unsubscribe...>

Back to top
Date: 5/15/18 2:04 pm
From: john cole <johnb_cole...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Dauphin Island Common Nighthawk
There is a Common.Nighthawk perched on a telephone cable about 25 yds east of the intersection of Pirate Cove and Bienville Blvd.  Great photo-op!
John ColeColumbus GA

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Back to top
Date: 5/12/18 5:34 am
From: Lawrence Gardella <lgardellabirds...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Shorebirds at Blakeley Mud Lakes
100s of shorebirds now at the Mud Lakes. Mainly Dunlin and Stilt
Sandpipers but a lot of others, too

Back to top
Date: 5/12/18 4:45 am
From: <marymaxwell...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: RE: [ALBIRDS] Great Blue Heron with fishing hook and line in neck Dauphin Island
Good morning from Dauphin Island!
I am having trouble navigation this email system, sorry if this is a
duplicate email.
If someone would like me to take them to the location of the Great
Blue Heron or get in touch if/when I spot it, I can be reached at 205
602 9638. I will be here a few more days.
Meanwhile, I think I will try to reach out to the Sea Lab folks.
- Mary MaxwellMontevall, AL

-----------------------------------------From:
"<marymaxwell...> [albirds]"

Date: 5/10/18 4:07 pm
From: Elizabeth Copper <ecopper...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Gray kingbird DI Isle Dauphine
We just had a gray kingbird on the railing to the beach from the Isle Dauphine. Also, eastern kingbird. ~20 min ago.

Sent from my iPhone

Date: 5/10/18 4:06 pm
From: Elizabeth Copper <ecopper...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Fwd: Gray kingbird DI Isle Dauphine
Elizabeth Copper
Dauphin Island

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Elizabeth Copper <ecopper...>
> Date: May 10, 2018 at 6:05:14 PM CDT
> To: <albirds...>
> Subject: Gray kingbird DI Isle Dauphine
>
> We just had a gray kingbird on the railing to the beach from the Isle Dauphine. Also, eastern kingbird. ~20 min ago.
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 5/9/18 1:54 pm
From: 'Lucy and Bob Duncan' <robertaduncan...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] "Mallards" on eBird
Your available choices in eBird for "Mallard" have been updated, and to give
you some quick instructions:

There are now 3 choices:

#1. Mallard (Domestic type)

#2. Mallard (Northern)

#3. Mallard

#1 (Domestic) should only be used for *phenotypically* domestic
Mallards--i.e., birds with white patches, all white, all dark, over-sized
etc.--it should NOT be used for tame/released birds of the wild phenotype,
or for completely wild birds. Any Mallards indistinguishable from wild birds
by shape or plumage should be submitted as generic Mallard (#3) or Mallard
(Northern) (#2).

#2 (Northern) should be used for typical wild Mallards (males with green
heads, white neck rings etc.) thought to be of wild stock. "Northern" is in
contrast to "Mexican Duck".

#3 can be used for birds having the wild "Mallard (Northern)" phenotype
(i.e., they look exactly like a wild Mallard), but which are known to be
from introduced or escaped stock, or if you are unsure if the bird is wild
vs introduced/released. This is the more 'generic' choice for a Mallard that
'looks' like a wild Mallard.

This information came from the Mississippi listserve, posted by Dr. Jason
Hoeksema, Oxford MS.

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's a duck!

Good birding!

Lucy

Back to top
Date: 5/6/18 7:51 pm
From: 'Damien J. Simbeck' <TNbarredowl...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Shoals Big Day, The Sequel
Jeff Garner and I started at 2 a.m. today, hoping yesterday's rainy weather would ground lots of migrants in our area. Thanks to dense fog, however, we soon realized we should have slept until 4. The only pre-dawn targets hit were Sora (Town Creek and Pond Creek Marshes), Common Nighthawk,  Whip and Chuck. First light saw little improvement,  as fog remained in place until about 9. We had to work a bit,  but found the regular breeding warblers.  We also picked up Screech and Barred Owls during the morning.  Our surprise of the morning were two Pine Siskins, not associated with any feeder. As the fog lifted, woodland activity picked up.  We end up finding 8 migrant warblers,  including several beautiful male Magnolias and a similarly handsome Canada. We also found Philadelphia and a migrant Warbling Vireo. We found no migrant thrushes. After leaving the forests, we began driving around Oakland and Key Cave vicinity, looking for open field birds. Our prize for the day came when we stopped at Vaden Gin to look for a Horned Lark. As we turned into the entrance, an Upland Sandpiper began running along the roadside (we got the lark too). This ended up being one of twelve shorebird species. We found good numbers of Lesser Yellowlegs and Short-billed Dowitchers. A quick run to Pond Creek Marsh at Marthaler Lane once again yielded the Common Gallinule. Marthaler Pond yielded most of our ducks for the day, including Redhead, Lesser Scaup, Ring-necked and Ruddy Ducks. We didn't have much excitement after those stops, and ended the day at 7:20 p.m. near Red Bank Swamp. When the dust settled, we had 143 species. Our biggest miss was White-breasted Nuthatch.

Damien Simbeck
Killen, AL

Sent from my smart phone. You can teach an old dog new tricks.

Date: 5/5/18 5:55 am
From: John Ehinger <johnehinger...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Tom Brindley

Berryhill Funeral Home in Huntsville now has a more detailed obituary of Tom Brindley, a birder, conservationist and education professor.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

Back to top
Date: 5/5/18 5:55 am
From: <jpitocch...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Request for assistance - recordings of migrating Mourning Warbler songs

It is year 4 of this project and I am writing once again to post an opportunity to participate in a Citizens Science Project that involves recording migrating Mourning Warbler songs. I am interested in whether different song populations of Mourning Warblers (Western, Eastern, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland) migrate together or separately to their respective areas of the species’ breeding range. All you need is a smartphone with a voice recording app and some luck. The web page link below describes the project and how to make recordings on your Smartphone in more detail. There is also a link to the map with previous year’s results based on recordings from many volunteers.
https://mowasongmapper.weebly.com/ https://mowasongmapper.weebly.com/

Here is a link to the recent national Audubon Society story on this research.

Audubon Society reporting
http://www.audubon.org/magazine/spring-2017/this-guy-mapping-how-warblers-migrate-just

Please send song recordings to the Mourning Warbler Sound Lab (jpitocchATanselm.edu).

I would really appreciate your help and contributions this year to this Citizens Science Project.

Dr. Jay Pitocchelli
Biology Department
Saint Anselm College
Manchester, NH 03102

Back to top
Date: 5/4/18 5:06 am
From: Kenneth Wills <Memontei...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Ruffner Closed Today

Just wanted to let birders know that all trailheads at Ruffner are closed today out of respect to the family of a hiker who fell to their death at the quarry yesterday. Their website says they will reopen tomorrow. My thought and prayers go out to all involved in that tragedy.

Ken Wills
Sent from my iPhone

Date: 5/3/18 2:05 pm
From: mike ribbons <mikecarsonribbons...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] House Big Day - April 27 Homewood
This is our first spring in a new house on a hill overlooking woods. Had hoped it would be Ruffner Mountain south, but had only seen a few migrants passing through. Started looking in late March when a Black and White Warbler was seen. Early April had the gnatcatcher and a couple of vireos. The excitement started April 23rd when a Rose-breasted Grosbeak showed up at the feeder. The next day produced both tanagers, and the following an Indigo Bunting, and the next day a house record of 18 species.

Our Big Day was April 27, that began auspiciously with a female BALTIMORE ORIOLE landing briefly on our deck. A full day of observation yielded 25 birds: Red-tailed Hawk, Mourning Dove, Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Downy Woodpecker, Eastern Phoebe, Great Crested Flycatcher, Red-eyed Vireo, American Crow, Blue Jay, Carolina Chickadee, Tufted Titmouse, Brown-headed Nuthatch, White-breasted Nuthatch, Carolina Wren, American Robin, Northern Mockingbird, Prairie Warbler, Black-throated Green Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Eastern Towhee, Northern Cardinal, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Indigo Bunting, Baltimore Oriole, House Finch

Afraid it may be over - only 10 birds showed up yesterday and 12 the day before. But still hoping for some thrushes and more warblers.

Back to top
Date: 5/2/18 7:06 pm
From: <TNbarredowl...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Shoals Big Day
Warren Massey and I attempted a Big Day here in northwest Alabama today. We tallied only 139 species, birding from 3:00 a.m. until 6:30 p.m. DISCLAIMER: My last tally was conducted at 6:30, after waking up at 2:00...errors are still possible. As I have observed during the past few weeks, migration was slow. We only had the regular breeding flycatchers, the three breeding vireos (missed Warbling in Waterloo for the second straight year), only one migrant thrush (literally, one Veery), and 7 migrant warblers (one individualeach except for Blackpoll-3, N. Waterthrush-2, and Palm-several). We also missed several regulars, including Shoveler, Great Horned Owl, Hairy Woodpecker, Flicker, Kestrel, Shrike, Horned Lark, Cedar Waxwing, Swainson's Warbler, Grasshopper, Field and Song Sparrows and Bobolink. Highlights included Redhead (Marthaler Pond), Harrier (migrant flyover at Waterloo; female), 6 Willets (Walker Pond), Pipit (Walker), and a Common Gallinule (Pond Creek at Marthaler Lane). Shorebirds also included 40+ Short-billed Dowithchers at two locations. Marsh birds also included 2 Sora, a Virginia Rail and a Marsh Wren at Pond Creek.

Date: 5/2/18 1:17 pm
From: BRIAN JOHNSTON <johnston127235...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Nice article on current Ft Morgan, AL bird banding
For those interested, there is a nice article in today's (May 2) AL.Com newspapers about the current bird banding project at Ft Morgan, Ala.  This article is in AL.COM newspapers like Mobile's Press Register, The Mississippi Press and other newspapers, and online at AL.Com.  The article is by their always-interesting outdoors writer, Ben Raines.

The article talks about the history of bird banding at Ft. Morgan, and how important that this migratory route through the Ala and northern Gulf Coast is.
Brian Johnston,  Pascagoula

Date: 5/2/18 5:55 am
From: Ken Hare <kmhare46...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Mississippi Kite in Montgomery
Saw my first Mississippi Kite of the year in Montgomery Monday. It was soaring overhead eating an insect out of its talons. Great to see these beautiful birds back in the mid-state.

Ken

Sent from my iPhone

Date: 5/1/18 6:34 am
From: 'Lucy and Bob Duncan' <robertaduncan...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Better days for migrants
Hi all,

For the past week on my morning walks in the "hood" I have
seen thrushes and Catbirds feeding in the street on oak worms fallen
overnight. This morning few were to be found. Although some migrants are
still around, many have taken advantage of a return to normal migrating
conditions. Winds have returned to E & SE from the southern Gulf to the
northern Gulf. Birdcast last night indicated a strong outflow of migrants
moving N & NE from the coastal areas. Although migration will continue on a
lesser scale into early May, the great show of migrants to which we were
treated in April is coming to a close.

But take heart birders, May is a good month to look for
strays from the tropics coming in on southerly winds (Tropicbird or
Yellow-green Vireo anyone?).

Bob Duncan

Gulf Breeze in the w. Panhandle

Back to top
Date: 5/1/18 6:30 am
From: Ken Hare <kmhare46...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [ALBIRDS] Crenshaw County April 30
Not so gradually, Greg. Jim Holmes did a great job in Crenshaw County yesterday, passing the goal there. The trip you led earlier this year got us close on species in Fayette County, and Neil Gilbert and I (mostly Neil) put us over the top on Sunday in species, though we still have a long way to go to reach 150 complete checklists there. That means since last May we’ve trimmed the number of counties with fewer than 150 species from 16 to 2 (Lamar and Coffee). We’ve also dropped the number of counties with fewer than 150 complete checklists from 10 to 2 (Lamar and Fayette). We’re getting close. Any birder can help by entering a complete checklist on eBird from these counties. Old ones help, too.
Ken

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 30, 2018, at 10:26 PM, 'Gregory J. Harber' <gharber...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> wrote:
>
> Excellent! The number of counties under 150 species reported on eBird is gradually shrinking!

Back to top
Date: 4/30/18 8:26 pm
From: 'Gregory J. Harber' <gharber...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
[...]

__._,_.___

Posted by: "Gregory J. Harber" <gharber...>

This list is sponsored by the Alabama
Ornithological Society (AOS) and is provided
as a service to the birding community. AOS
does not endorse the views or opinions expressed
by the members of this discussion group. Nor
does AOS support or endorse the advertising
provided by the Yahoo Groups list service.

[IMAGE]

Visit Your Group

* New Members 3

Yahoo! Groups • Privacy • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use
__,_._,___

Back to top

Date: 4/29/18 9:02 am
From: <deechancey...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] BAS Birdcount on Tanyard Road, Wilsonville, AL
Anne, Linda, Todd and I were fortunate to see flocks of Eastern Kingbird on our route yesterday-108 total!
On the same road, multiple bobolinks and good looks at dicksissel. For a while, it seemed every LBJ was a palm warbler. A great day of birding.

Back to top
Date: 4/28/18 8:26 pm
From: 'Greg D. Jackson' <g_d_jackson...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Red Mtn. Park this AM (28 Apr)
AL Birders:

As part of the Birmingham Spring Count, I enjoyed a beautiful morning at
Red Mtn. Park.  Walking nearly eight miles (pretty good for a single
morning /and/ conducting a count!), I surveyed much of the main ridge as
well as lowland areas at the west end of the park on both sides of the
ridge.  Migrants seemed a bit slow, but eventually I ended with a
respectable list, especially of warblers (with 23 species).  Transients
were widely distributed but mostly seen along the ridge in small groups
or singly, with no large flocks (similar to conditions yesterday at
Ruffner).  Some species were recorded in good numbers as below.

A partial list included:

RT Hummingbird 2

Cooper's Hawk 1

Barred Owl 2

Hairy Woodpecker 1

Flycatchers:  E. Wood-Pewee (4), E. Phoebe (1), and Great Crested
Flycatcher (2)

White-eyed (31), Yellow-throated (4), and Red-eyed (57) vireos

House Wren 2

BG Gnatcatcher 8

Thrushes:  Veery*(11)*, Swainson's (1), Wood 16)

G. Catbird 4

WT Sparrow 19

Baltimore Oriole 1 stunning male

Warblers (*23***"traditional" species):  YB Chat (2; yes, I know, no
longer a warbler), Ovenbird (2), Worm-eating (3), N. Waterthrush (1),
Blue-winged (1), Black-and-white (3), Swainson's (2), Tennessee (5),
Orange-crowned (1), Kentucky (17), Com. Yellowthroat (4), Hooded (24),
Cape May (2),   CERULEAN (1 female), N. Parula (1), Magnolia (3 males),
Bay-breasted (2 beautiful males), Blackpoll (2), Palm (2), Pine (13),
Yellow-rumped (5), Prairie (1), and Black-throated Green (3 males)

Summer (10) and Scarlet (13) tanagers

RB Grosbeak (3), Blue Grosbeak (2), Indigo Bunting (27)

In the last two mornings I've had 27 species of "traditional" warblers
at the two Birmingham ridge sites without going to other local sites.
When you consider five other species regularly found in different local
habitats at this season (L. Waterthrush, Prothonotary, Am. Redstart,
Yellow, and Yellow-throated), there is a significant variety of warblers
present now in the Birmingham area in addition to other passerine migrants.

Greg

Greg D. Jackson

Birmingham, AL

Back to top
Date: 4/28/18 2:06 pm
From: <TNbarredowl...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] White-faced Ibis
I just received a report of a White-faced Ibis near Swan Creek WMA in Limestone County. The bird has been seen fairly regularly during the past week at a flooded field on Harris Station Road, just west of the RR crossing. The field is on the north side of the road, just past the curves west of the crossing. It has been seen by WMA personnel.

Date: 4/27/18 4:47 pm
From: 'Greg D. Jackson' <g_d_jackson...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Ruffner Mtn. NP this AM (Fri, 27 Apr)
AL Birders:

I spent a fun and beautiful morning at Ruffner Mtn. NP in Birmingham,
arriving a little later than I wanted at 0650, just after Frank
Standford, and just before Ken Wills.  We birded the visitors
center/parking lot area until 0745, finding a few migrants but no
flocks.  We then headed up the ridge and spent the rest of the morning
up top wandering between the towers, joining forces with Hans Paul (with
ever-faithful and well-behaved birding dog Dottie) and Todd (sorry, ?
last name).  Again migrants were just loosely distributed in small
numbers, with no significant mixed foraging flocks but small pods of 3-4
birds at several locations.  Despite the small numbers at any site, we
ended with a decent list of migrants and many nice looks at transient
warblers and others.  Even at 1115 back at the visitors center we were
still getting new species of warblers.

A partial list includes:

BW Hawk 1

RT Hummingbird 3

E. Wood-Pewee (2), Great Crested Flycatcher (3)

White-eyed (5), Yellow-throated (1), and Red-eyed (20) vireos

BG Gnatcatcher 2

RC Kinglet 4

Wood Thrush 6

Baltimore Oriole 1 (brilliant male)

Warblers (18 species): Ovenbird (1), Worm-eating (1), Blue-winged (2),
Black-and-white (6), Tennessee (18), Orange-crowned (1 amazingly drab
individual feeding high in tree), NASHVILLE (1 male well seen and
another heard singing), Hooded (15), Cape May (2 males seen and at least
2 more heard), CERULEAN (1 heard), Magnolia (2), Blackburnian (2 -- 1
stunning male well viewed), Chestnut-sided (7), Blackpoll (2), Pine (2),
Yellow-rumped (10 in alternate splendor), Black-throated Green (6), and
Canada (1 beautiful male).

Summer (4) and Scarlet (6) tanagers

RB Grosbeak 1

Indigo Bunting 12

Hope things stay good (or get even better!) for the count tomorrow!

Greg

Greg D. Jackson

Birmingham, AL

Date: 4/27/18 11:03 am
From: 'Simbeck, Damien J' <djsimbeck...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] More time at Wilson Dam
On Wednesday, I saw a large group of gulls resting on the lake above Wilson Dam. I didn't have much time, but stopped for a quick scan and noted that most (about 200) were Bonaparte's. I had more time today, so I spent part of my lunch break scanning the gulls from both below and above the dam. Water levels below the dam are high (no exposed rocks), and many spillways are open. All the gulls were flying around from the dam to the end of Jackson Island. From this vantage point, I estimated 50 Bonaparte's, 50 Ring-billed and counted 1 Herring (immature). I then went to the overlook and scanned the gulls sitting above the dam. I counted 168 Bonaparte's, ranging from immatures to adults in full alternate plumage, 3 Herring Gulls (immatures), 1 Lesser Black-backed Gull (immature), 1 alternate plumage Franklin's Gull and estimated 200 Ring-billed Gulls. As I was leaving, and driving across the dam, an immature Laughing Gull flew overhead. It's late April and still 6 species of gulls present at the dam...and still in decent numbers.

Damien Simbeck
Killen, AL

Back to top
Date: 4/26/18 8:57 pm
From: James Holmes <jfholmes...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Escambia County April 26
My father and I birded Escambia county Thursday morning.

eBird flagged
Black-crowned Night-Heron https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44962420
White-winged Dove (we had 6 in 2 locations around Flomaton)
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44959237
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44960154

Although not flagged by eBird, the most surprising find was a Caspian Tern flying southwest over an overgrown sod farm field between Flomaton and Atmore. I think this is pretty unusual for that far inland.
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44960154

Thanks,

Jim Holmes
Currently in South Alabama

Back to top
Date: 4/26/18 8:48 pm
From: James Holmes <jfholmes...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Dauphin Island April 26
After birding Escambia County my dad and I went to Dauphin Island. It was a nice afternoon with a good number and variety of migrants.

Highlight was a Black-billed Cuckoo at the Shell Mounds.
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44970753

We also had a male Blackburnian Warbler at the Sanctuary https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44974413

There were good numbers of thrushes everywhere we stopped.

We also had a late Louisiana Waterthrush. https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44975870

Good Luck,

Jim Holmes
Currently in South Alabama

Back to top
Date: 4/26/18 8:41 pm
From: <TNbarredowl...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Re: Weather and birds this week
I'll be glad when those migrant head up here to north Alabama. I've had very little time for bird watching lately, but have only seen a small handful of migrants locally. In fact, I have been amazed at the winter birds still around. Warblers have been dominated by Yellow-rumpeds, followed by Palm.. I did enjoy two Cape May at the Native Plant Garden Wednesday. Winter hangs on with about 200 Bonaparte's Gulls dropping in at Wilson Dam Wednesday.. I've had 4 Hermit Thrushes in the past two days, and no other thrushes. Ruby-crowned Kinglets are usually lingering this time of year, but I am seeing multiple birds each time I'm out. Today, just north of Athens, in Tennessee. I had a Golden-crowned! White-throated, Swamp and Savannah Sparrows, normal lingering species, are still fairly common. I still have White-crowneds at my feeder, as well as Pine Siskins. I had a Sharp-shinned Hawk Monday, a very rare spring/summer bird locally. It has been a chilly spring, and I think the birds are afraid of what is waiting for them further north. Next week is supposed to be warmer, actually making it into the 80's by Tuesday. Maybe the migrants will come north then.

Date: 4/26/18 8:11 pm
From: 'Lucy and Bob Duncan' <robertaduncan...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Weather & birds this week
Hi all,

Birding has been great based on reports from AL to NW FL. A field trip to
Dauphin Island yesterday by the Pensacola F. M. Weston Audubon Society found
about 12 birders constantly within eyesight of thrushes, tanagers and other
Neotropical migrants. We ended the day with 18 warbler species but warbler
numbers were not as high as the hundreds of 4 species of thrushes and large
number of tanagers, Catbirds and Rose-breasted Grosbeaks. It was just like
the "good old days!" We logged over 100 spp.

Neotropical migrants have been accumulating at the traps for days now. Birds
yesterday did not appear tired overall, with a few exceptions. Winds in the
southern Gulf and Yucatan have not been favorable for migrants to take off.
They have been generally light and variable, not the usual SE tail winds
that would help them make the trans-Gulf journey. Consequently, this late in
the season, birds are impelled to go anyhow, to establish territory for
breeding. Upper level winds in the northern Gulf have not been favorable
either, being either variable or light northerly. So many birds making the
crossing without the benefit of tail winds are putting down at our traps. It
appeared that more came in to our Gulf Breeze yard this afternoon.

Looking at tonight's prospects, there is much unsettled weather in southern
Yucatan, with apparent thunderstorms. Winds still remain light and variable
there and into the southern Gulf. If birds have launched tonight, Which I
rather doubt, they will have the same conditions that have been giving us
such great birding these past two week or more. That's my guess.

Bob Duncan

And now a note from Lucy... The Dauphin Island birding yesterday was
spectacular to say the least. Imagine 16 Scarlet Tanagers on one lawn, and
5-7 thrushes on just about every other lawn, in the roads and paths, in the
Shell Mounds and Audubon Sanctuary! Fine looks at so many birds certainly
made the day for everyone on the field trip. Highlights of the day included
a Black-whiskered Vireo, Cerulean, Blackpoll, Golden-winged and
Chestnut-sided Warblers along with 14 other species of warblers, three
species of grosbeaks along with indigo and painted buntings, and both
tanagers. Baltimore Orioles at Don and Dena's feeders just about blinded us
they were so bright, while a lone Red-headed Woodpecker worked over a
sunflower seed nearby in full view. Most of the field trip attendees left
soon after lunch having logged 103 species for the group. Several of us
couldn't resist the two fluffy, furry-looking heads of the young
Great-horned Owls on the island as they stared at us from their lofty pine
nest. After everyone left Bob and I birded the east end of the island again
and had an adult Frigatebird sail over. On to Pelican Island where we birded
only from the pier by scope, and ended our casual day's tally having seen
120 species. Another thrill came as we arrived home to hear a
Chuck-wills-widow calling from our oaks and hickories. Ah, Spring!

Good birding,

Lucy

Date: 4/25/18 10:58 am
From: 'Gregory J. Harber' <gharber...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [ALBIRDS] Tommy Pratt
Charles-
I am so sorry to read that Tommy has passed away. I know he was a
dear friend to you and many others. Truly, he was a gentleman. He
was so helpful to me in my forays into the Black Belt region of
Alabama when I was leading groups in search of kites, wood storks and
more. I too shall miss him.
Many thanks, and my condolences to you. Greg

Date: 4/24/18 11:31 am
From: Dana Hamilton <stan_dana_h...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Great Morning at Ruffner

I spent much of this morning birding at Ruffner with Rick Remy and Ken Marion. Birding was pretty quiet near the visitor center parking lot early on with very overcast skies. Both tanagers were present in good numbers though, as were several Rosebreasted Grosbeaks, Wood Thrushes,and a few Warblers, most notably Prairie,Hooded, and TN.

As the morning got noisy around the lot, we headed up the ridge to the towers,encountering several flocks of Warblers that included Blackburnian, Blackpoll, Bluewinged, Goldenwinged, Cape May, Nashville, and Baybreasted. We tallied 20 Warbler species for the morning, along with many of the other expected spring migrants. Great way to spend a Tuesday morning!

Stan Hamilton
Irondale AL

Sent from my iPad

Back to top