ALBirds
Received From Subject
4/17/24 6:41 pm Damien J. Simbeck via groups.io <tnbarredowl...> Re: [ALbirds] Merlin and Identification
4/17/24 5:22 pm Scott Gravette via groups.io <inadu4...> Re: [ALbirds] Merlin and Identification
4/17/24 5:09 pm Ken Hare via groups.io <kmhare46...> Re: [ALbirds] Merlin and Identification
4/17/24 12:35 pm Jim Holmes via groups.io <jfholmes...> Re: [ALbirds] Merlin and Identification
4/17/24 11:55 am Bob Reed via groups.io <bobreed1987...> Re: [ALbirds] I don’t know if these are rare right now , but there were 17 Long-billed Dowitchers at Harrison Lake This morning . First dike by Hwy 17 on the point .
4/17/24 11:38 am Joe Wujcik via groups.io <yckmass...> [ALbirds] I don’t know if these are rare right now , but there were 17 Long-billed Dowitchers at Harrison Lake This morning . First dike by Hwy 17 on the point .
4/17/24 7:36 am Katherine Clemo via groups.io <kclemo54...> Re: [ALbirds] Merlin and Identification
4/17/24 6:10 am Bob Reed via groups.io <bobreed1987...> Re: [ALbirds] Merlin and Identification
4/17/24 4:24 am Damien J. Simbeck via groups.io <tnbarredowl...> Re: [ALbirds] Merlin and Identification
4/16/24 6:04 pm Bob Reed via groups.io <bobreed1987...> Re: [ALbirds] Merlin and Identification
4/16/24 3:28 pm Douglas Hamm via groups.io <dhamm72...> Re: [ALbirds] Merlin and Identification
4/16/24 12:12 pm Jim Holmes via groups.io <jfholmes...> [ALbirds] Merlin and Identification
4/15/24 2:17 pm Mason Currier via groups.io <masonacurrier...> Re: [ALbirds] Pelagic Info!
4/15/24 9:46 am Greg D. Jackson via groups.io <g_d_jackson...> [ALbirds] Saginaw/Calera this AM (15 Apr)
4/15/24 6:29 am ToddDeVore via groups.io <devore...> Re: [ALbirds] Upland Sandpiper in Shelby Co
4/14/24 6:22 pm Ken Wills via groups.io <memontei...> Re: [ALbirds] Upland Sandpiper in Shelby Co
4/14/24 11:50 am Rick Remy via groups.io <rickremy...> [ALbirds] Upland Sandpiper in Shelby Co
4/14/24 7:47 am <swmavocet...> via groups.io <swmavocet...> Re: [ALbirds] Bobwhite on Dauphin Island
4/14/24 6:43 am Greg D. Jackson <g_d_jackson...> Re: [ALbirds] Bobwhite on Dauphin Island
4/14/24 6:34 am Melinda W <Modoodle1989...> Re: [ALbirds] Bobwhite on Dauphin Island
4/14/24 6:05 am Greg D. Jackson <g_d_jackson...> Re: [ALbirds] Upland Sandpiper spectacle
4/14/24 4:55 am Lucy & Bob Email <RobertADuncan...> Re: [ALbirds] Bobwhite on Dauphin Island
4/14/24 4:30 am Tommie Rogers <sundragon1...> Re: [ALbirds] Bobwhite on Dauphin Island
4/13/24 11:46 pm Jud Johnston <egrosbeak1946...> Re: [ALbirds] Bobwhite on Dauphin Island
4/13/24 8:25 pm Chuck Estes via groups.io <chucklola...> Re: [ALbirds] Bobwhite on Dauphin Island
4/13/24 7:20 pm Drew Haffenden <andrew...> Re: [ALbirds] Bobwhite on Dauphin Island
4/13/24 6:40 pm Geoffrey Hill <hillgee...> [ALbirds] Bobwhite on Dauphin Island
4/13/24 9:45 am Greg D. Jackson <g_d_jackson...> [ALbirds] Wilson’s Phalarope in Swan Creek WMA
4/13/24 9:08 am Craig Litteken via groups.io <littekenc...> [ALbirds] Upland Sandpiper spectacle
4/10/24 11:04 pm Drew Haffenden <andrew...> Re: [ALbirds] WINDY caution
4/10/24 8:05 pm Lucy & Bob Email <RobertADuncan...> [ALbirds] WINDY caution
4/10/24 3:39 pm Mason Currier <masonacurrier...> [ALbirds] Pelagic Info!
4/10/24 7:50 am Drew Haffenden <andrew...> Re: [ALbirds] AOS Spring meeting delta boat tour
4/10/24 6:02 am park mcgehee <parkmcgehee...> Re: [ALbirds] AOS Spring meeting delta boat tour
4/10/24 5:58 am park mcgehee <parkmcgehee...> Re: [ALbirds] AOS Spring meeting delta boat tour
4/9/24 5:11 pm Lawrence Gardella <lfgardella...> Re: [ALbirds] AOS Spring meeting delta boat tour
4/9/24 5:09 pm Cheryl Killingsworth <killingsworthcheryl...> Re: [ALbirds] AOS Spring meeting delta boat tour
4/9/24 4:35 pm Drew Haffenden <andrew...> Re: [ALbirds] AOS Spring meeting delta boat tour
4/9/24 4:24 pm Cheryl Killingsworth <killingsworthcheryl...> Re: [ALbirds] AOS Spring meeting delta boat tour
4/9/24 3:39 pm Lawrence Gardella <lfgardella...> Re: [ALbirds] AOS Spring meeting delta boat tour
4/9/24 3:34 pm Drew Haffenden <andrew...> Re: [ALbirds] AOS Spring meeting delta boat tour
4/9/24 3:07 pm Cheryl Killingsworth <killingsworthcheryl...> Re: [ALbirds] AOS Spring meeting delta boat tour
4/9/24 3:03 pm Drew Haffenden <andrew...> [ALbirds] AOS Spring meeting delta boat tour
4/5/24 1:51 pm Geoffrey Hill <hillgee...> [ALbirds] Western Grebe at Guntersville
4/4/24 7:14 am Lucy & Bob Email <RobertADuncan...> [ALbirds] Analysis of yesterday's coastal birding
4/3/24 5:53 pm Lucy & Bob Email <RobertADuncan...> [ALbirds] Today's weather
4/3/24 6:37 am Katherine Clemo <kclemo54...> Re: [ALbirds] Week's birding propects
4/2/24 6:52 pm Lawrence Gardella <lfgardella...> Re: [ALbirds] Week's birding propects
4/2/24 6:24 pm Cynthia Freeman <Cynthiafreeman633...> Re: [ALbirds] AOS Spring Meeting
4/2/24 2:41 pm Drew Haffenden <andrew...> [ALbirds] AOS Spring Meeting
4/1/24 8:44 am Lucy & Bob Email <RobertADuncan...> [ALbirds] Week's birding propects
3/31/24 10:23 am Lucy & Bob Email <RobertADuncan...> [ALbirds] Fork-tailed Flycatcher at FT. Pickens 8:45 a.m.
3/30/24 6:13 pm Lawrence Gardella <lfgardella...> [ALbirds] Interesting Song Series by Hooded Warbler
3/30/24 8:12 am Greg D. Jackson <g_d_jackson...> Re: [ALbirds] New eBird pelagic filter coverage - Gulf of Mexico (GoM) waters
3/29/24 11:27 am Donald Dehm <donalddehm...> Re: [ALbirds] Gray gull
3/29/24 10:49 am Drew Haffenden <andrew...> Re: [ALbirds] Gray gull
3/28/24 1:59 pm Mason Currier <masonacurrier...> Re: [ALbirds] Possible Western Flycather
3/28/24 12:00 pm Collin Stempien <cstempien40...> Re: [ALbirds] Possible Western Flycather
3/28/24 11:20 am Jim Holmes via groups.io <jfholmes...> Re: [ALbirds] Possible Western Flycather
3/28/24 2:57 am Donald Dehm <donalddehm...> Re: [ALbirds] Gray gull
3/27/24 7:29 pm Drew Haffenden <andrew...> [ALbirds] Gray gull
3/27/24 12:31 pm Melinda W <Modoodle1989...> Re: [ALbirds] Odd Cattle egret
3/27/24 11:28 am Jud Johnston <egrosbeak1946...> Re: [ALbirds] Odd Cattle egret
3/27/24 8:18 am john cole via groups.io <johnb_cole...> Re: [ALbirds] Odd Cattle egret
3/27/24 6:05 am Brent <brenteanes72...> Re: [ALbirds] Odd Cattle egret
3/27/24 5:42 am Craig Litteken via groups.io <littekenc...> [ALbirds] Odd Cattle egret
3/25/24 3:56 pm Bill Summerour <billsummerour...> Re: [ALbirds] New eBird pelagic filter coverage - Gulf of Mexico (GoM) waters
3/24/24 8:11 pm <swmavocet...> via groups.io <swmavocet...> [ALbirds] New eBird pelagic filter coverage - Gulf of Mexico (GoM) waters
3/24/24 7:14 am Lucy & Bob Email <RobertADuncan...> [ALbirds] Tropical vagrants and the Weather
3/24/24 7:09 am Mason Currier <masonacurrier...> Re: [ALbirds] Possible Western Flycather
3/23/24 11:05 am Ken Hare <kmhare46...> Re: [ALbirds] Author of Acclaimed New Bird Book to be in Montgomery Thursday Evening
3/23/24 9:21 am Lawrence Gardella <lfgardella...> [ALbirds] Author of Acclaimed New Bird Book to be in Montgomery Thursday Evening
3/23/24 7:20 am Lucy & Bob Email <RobertADuncan...> [ALbirds] Gray Gull
3/22/24 5:16 pm Rodney McCollum <rodneyani...> Re: [ALbirds] Possible Western Flycather
3/22/24 2:38 pm Mason Currier <masonacurrier...> Re: [ALbirds] Possible Western Flycather
3/22/24 10:38 am Mason Currier <masonacurrier...> [ALbirds] Possible Western Flycather
3/20/24 5:44 pm Ken Hare <kmhare46...> [ALbirds] eBird back online
3/19/24 11:43 am Cynthia Freeman <Cynthiafreeman633...> Re: [ALbirds] Refresher on current weather and its effect on bird migration
3/19/24 9:21 am Lucy & Bob Email <RobertADuncan...> [ALbirds] Refresher on current weather and its effect on bird migration

Back to top
Date: 4/17/24 6:41 pm
From: Damien J. Simbeck via groups.io <tnbarredowl...>
Subject: Re: [ALbirds] Merlin and Identification
Here's a screen clip of a checklist from Wilson Dam a while back (winter 22/23). At least the observer just listed the rarities under passerine sp. This is one of several similar lists reported from the Shoals area at that time. Obviously a Merlin "birder".

Damien Simbeck
Killen AL

Sent from my (non-Apple) phone. You can teach an old dog new tricks!

On Wed, Apr 17, 2024 at 7:09 PM, Ken Hare<kmhare46...> wrote: Reading what Douglas Hamm wrote raises the possibility that I’ve misidentified a few Pine Warblers as Juncos, and possibly vice versa. I don’t list anything from Merlin I don’t hear or see myself, so missed identifications is usually not an issue. I use Merlin to find the possible presence of a species, not as the final authority. But I just refreshed my memory by listening to the typical trill call of each bird, and I’m no longer sure I could tell them apart.
In other words, I’m not only not sure I can rely on Merlin to tell them apart, I’m not sure I can continue to rely on my own ears to tell them apart.
Oh, well. It’s that Philadelphia vs. Red-eyed Vireo conundrum all over again.
Ken H.

On Apr 17, 2024, at 2:35 PM, Jim Holmes via groups.io <jfholmes...> wrote:

I ran Merlin today while birding in my yard.  I also got a Song Sparrow which was not present (I have never had a Song Sparrow in my yard).  One of the Louisiana birders was also complaining that Merlin was picking up Song Sparrow when his yard does not contain them. So, there must be something (bird or other regular sound) that Merlin is mistaking.

I think the bigger problem IS the “common” birds not flagged by eBird.  The rarities (should) get filtered out of the public database.  Although Merlin certainly increases detection of a small number of individuals, it is adding a bunch of false positives to the database (especially for species where voice is a problem).  I have seen plenty of instances where Merlin was calling the same bird two different species!

Thanks,

Jim

James F. Holmes, MD, MPH

Professor and Executive Vice Chair

Department of Emergency Medicine

UC Davis School of Medicine

Office (916) 734-1533

Date: 4/17/24 5:22 pm
From: Scott Gravette via groups.io <inadu4...>
I can't remember ever hearing a Junco sing in Alabama. Scott GravetteHartselle,
AL
--------------------

<dhamm72...> wrote:

[...]

_._,_._,_

[<lists...>]
_._,_._,_

Back to top
Date: 4/17/24 5:09 pm
From: Ken Hare via groups.io <kmhare46...>

Back to top

Date: 4/17/24 11:55 am
From: Bob Reed via groups.io <bobreed1987...>
Subject: Re: [ALbirds] I don’t know if these are rare right now , but there were 17 Long-billed Dowitchers at Harrison Lake This morning . First dike by Hwy 17 on the point .
Great pictures!

On Wed, Apr 17, 2024, 13:38 Joe Wujcik via groups.io <yckmass=

Back to top
Date: 4/17/24 11:38 am
From: Joe Wujcik via groups.io <yckmass...>

Back to top
Date: 4/17/24 7:36 am
From: Katherine Clemo via groups.io <kclemo54...>
Amen!

Date: 4/17/24 6:10 am
From: Bob Reed via groups.io <bobreed1987...>
I agree with you, Damien. Merlin is a useful tool, but no more. It should
NEVER be used as a substitute for human knowledge and expertise.

Date: 4/16/24 6:04 pm
From: Bob Reed via groups.io <bobreed1987...>

Date: 4/16/24 3:28 pm
From: Douglas Hamm via groups.io <dhamm72...>
[...]

<!--#yiv2948687057 filtered {}#yiv2948687057 filtered {}#yiv2948687057 p.yiv2948687057MsoNormal, #yiv2948687057 li.yiv2948687057MsoNormal, #yiv2948687057 div.yiv2948687057MsoNormal {margin:0in;font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri", sans-serif;}#yiv2948687057 a:link, #yiv2948687057 span.yiv2948687057MsoHyperlink {color:#0563C1;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv2948687057 span.yiv2948687057EmailStyle17 {font-family:"Calibri", sans-serif;color:windowtext;}#yiv2948687057 .yiv2948687057MsoChpDefault {}#yiv2948687057 filtered {}#yiv2948687057 div.yiv2948687057WordSection1 {}-->

Date: 4/15/24 2:17 pm
From: Mason Currier via groups.io <masonacurrier...>
Subject: Re: [ALbirds] Pelagic Info!
Ok all, deposit payments will open tomorrow at 12 noon. Please make $150 dollars out on Venmo @Thomas-Haughton-2.

The final $250 will be paid later. The trip will be all day on May 25th. The captain is great! Here is his website- https://captaintfishing.com/

Reminder that there is only room for 6 more people. If you’re really interested in going get deposits in promptly at 12. Once registered, I will send out more info on the trip. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns. My number is 251-263-1296.

Happy Birding,
Mason Currier

Back to top
Date: 4/15/24 9:46 am
From: Greg D. Jackson via groups.io <g_d_jackson...>
Subject: [ALbirds] Saginaw/Calera this AM (15 Apr)
AL Birders:

"Happy" Tax Day everyone! 🙁 To put myself in a better mood, I opened
the morning with a mug of coffee on the boardwalk at Limestone Park,
reveling in the birdsong all around. Hard to beat early morning at a
marsh! Enjoyed my FOS adult male Orchard Oriole singing in clear view
near the platform, and both House and Marsh wrens were in song. A Sora
called from deep in the marsh but no other rails were heard. Several
beautiful Wood Ducks were about but no gangly Anhingas were spotted. My
favorite bird encounter of the morning was a lengthy point-blank view of
a lovely LINCOLN'S SPARROW low in the trees by the pond at the model
aviator pavilion -- not a bird I get to see often in this area,
especially well (but of course I didn't have my camera . . .).

A check for Rick's Upland Sandpiper at the Calera Publix fields was
unsuccessful, and when I had the pleasure of running into Joe Wujcik and
Michael Fritts I learned they also had not seen it this morning. The
White-fronted is still hanging around, though. The whole area is really
busy today with lots of construction and mowing. And as Ken alluded, we
are at the verge of losing at least parts of this area soon. Another
hotel is being built near the Hampton Inn, and at the back side of the
Publix fields near the microwave tower road, dump trucks have begun
filling in that portion with dirt. It's a man-made field to begin with,
of course, but we have so little accessible short-grass field habitat in
the area it's going to be painful to lose it (plus  the Saginaw/Calera
area has been on fire for good birds so far this year!).

Greg

Greg D. Jackson

Birmingham, AL

Back to top
Date: 4/15/24 6:29 am
From: ToddDeVore via groups.io <devore...>
Subject: Re: [ALbirds] Upland Sandpiper in Shelby Co
I note the variety of birds that have been seen by myself and others in this open grassy area over the last few years: Merlin, horned larks, dickcissel, short-eared owl, american golden plovers, and sandpipers including this latest one.  Enjoy it while you can, as it is obvious more parking lots are destined for this area soon.  The arrow of development points only in one direction around here, towards more and more.

Back to top
Date: 4/14/24 6:22 pm
From: Ken Wills via groups.io <memontei...>
The Upland Sandpiper was still in the Calera development fields behind the big metal building, Betacom, when I left at 6:45 p.m.  Hopefully it will still be there in the morning.   I would bring a scope for optimal viewing.
I heard about the bird second hand from a new birder I encountered in Limestone Park, and as soon as he told me about it I headed down there .  It was the first Upland Sandpiper I have seen in Alabama, and I had a much better and longer look of this bird than I had of that species in the Mississippi Delta.   Great way to end a late afternoon birding trip.
Ken Wills
On Sunday, April 14, 2024 at 01:50:14 PM CDT, Rick Remy <rickremy...> wrote:

We just saw a single Upland Sandpiper in Shelby County in the field on Highway 31 directly across from Hampton Inn in the fields known as Publix Fields. It was near the fence by the big metal building.

Rick and Susan Remy

Back to top
Date: 4/14/24 11:50 am
From: Rick Remy via groups.io <rickremy...>
Subject: [ALbirds] Upland Sandpiper in Shelby Co

Date: 4/14/24 7:47 am
From: <swmavocet...> via groups.io <swmavocet...>
Subject: Re: [ALbirds] Bobwhite on Dauphin Island
Folks,I'm not a lawyer but I'll speculate the legality of this situation might be complicated by the fact NOBO are classified by the state as game birds so less clearly protected in a way from human exploitation than, say, a Northern Cardinal.
I did find this DCNR link to information about state game bird or game mammal propagation permits.  The office memo also at this link says they stopped issuing these annual permits for deer after 2013 because 'they were not needed' (lol) but I don't see a reference to indicate game bird permits were also halted then or since.
The fine at the time for an expired permit was only $25-100.   However, permit holders were required to keep the animals on their own property.
www.outdooralabama.com/sites/default/files/Licenses/Current%20Commercial%20Licenses/Propagation.pdf

Steve McConnellHartselle, AL
On Sunday, April 14, 2024 at 08:43:47 AM CDT, Greg D. Jackson <g_d_jackson...> wrote:

Geoff and all,

A few of us have been discussing the California Quail and N. Bobwhite
issues on the island recently and I wanted to share some info. Geoff,
you're not alone in your recent experiences as there have been multiple
reports of both species at numerous sites on the island in the past year
or two. Looking at eBird reports, it can be difficult at times to
isolate observations truly occurring on the island (for this and other
species), as sometimes folks roll a visit to the causeway or farther
north on the mainland into their island checklist for the day. But
clearly there has been a change.

Howard Horne provided some information on the people who evidently are
releasing California Quail and presumably bobwhites, too. I don't know
the legality of doing this without permits, but IMO introducing this
type of potential ecological change into a system seems really questionable.

I did some research on this matter the other day, looking at numerous
record sets though not doing a deep dive into the literature. In
general, N. Bobwhite would not be considered a regular native species on
the island as far as I can determine (or recall from 50+ years personal
experience). Old texts more or less imply statewide distribution but
don't specifically mention the situation on the island, though Imhof
(1976) indicates quail being less common near salt water. Looking at the
state database and records from the Breeding Bird Atlas, Bird Banding
Lab, Breeding Bird Surveys, etc., there is not evidence of normal
occurrence on the island.

There have been, however, occasional prior credible reports of bobwhites
which appear to be actually on the island (not including the causeway).
Whether these were wandering individuals from the mainland or escaped
birds from some unknown collection is unclear (though I've never heard
of anyone keeping bobwhites on the island until recently).

Overwater flight by bobwhites would seem odd, but they are known to show
displacement at times. In Alabama, the farthest record of movement I've
seen so far is from a bird banded in Fairhope and shot near Atmore,
nearly 40 miles away. Away from Alabama, Stupka's book on the Great
Smoky Mountains NP (1963) describes elevational seasonal movements, and
Bent (1932) indicates movements related to environmental conditions.

I haven't yet checked with the state game folks about this situation,
either in regard to old records on the island or the issue with the
current (presumably unauthorized) releases. People with ADCNR have been
tracking bobwhites for many decades and may have more insights.

Greg

Greg D. Jackson

AOS Bird Records Compiler

Birmingham, AL

On 4/13/2024 10:25 PM, Chuck Estes via groups.io wrote:
> There have been numerous sightings of both Northern Bobwhite and California Quail around the island over the last 3 weeks.  My understanding is that there is a man on the island incubating eggs and raising and releasing these birds.  I don’t remember his name but I was told he was asked to stop doing it but said he believed Bobwhite were native to the island and would continue the practice.  Not sure his logic on California Quail.
> Chuck Estes
> Oak Ridge, TN

Back to top
Date: 4/14/24 6:43 am
From: Greg D. Jackson <g_d_jackson...>
> [...]

either in regard to old records on the island or the issue with the
current (presumably unauthorized) releases. People with ADCNR have been
tracking bobwhites for many decades and may have more insights.

Greg

Greg D. Jackson

AOS Bird Records Compiler

Birmingham, AL

On 4/13/2024 10:25 PM, Chuck Estes via groups.io wrote:
> There have been numerous sightings of both Northern Bobwhite and California Quail around the island over the last 3 weeks. My understanding is that there is a man on the island incubating eggs and raising and releasing these birds. I don’t remember his name but I was told he was asked to stop doing it but said he believed Bobwhite were native to the island and would continue the practice. Not sure his logic on California Quail.

Back to top
Date: 4/14/24 6:34 am
From: Melinda W <Modoodle1989...>

Back to top
Date: 4/14/24 6:05 am
From: Greg D. Jackson <g_d_jackson...>
Subject: Re: [ALbirds] Upland Sandpiper spectacle
Hi Craig,

Spectacle indeed! You guys certainly have been treated to a "grasspiper"
bonanza recently! The thundering hordes of up to 710 Am. Golden-Plovers
last month took out the previous state maximum of 470 set in the same
general area. And your tally of 102 Upland Sandpipers yesterday toppled
both the previous spring high of 75 and the fall max of 70.

The Buff-breasteds are always nice to see, and 13 almost reaches the
spring high of 16; /much /larger numbers have been recorded in autumn,
with many triple-digit counts and a max of 172.

Send some of these guys up our way . . .

Greg

Greg D. Jackson

AOS Bird Records Compiler

Birmingham, AL

On 4/13/2024 11:08 AM, Craig Litteken via groups.io wrote:
> The Upland Sandpiper spectacle continues at the sod farms near Foley.
> A week or so ago, over 70 uplands were reported at the Riverview Turf
> Farm near Foley, but today the uplands were at the sod fields east of
> CR 49.  This time, however, there were 102!  Most were along Kaiser
> Road and the road to the east...over 70 along just those two roads.
> The rest were spread throughout other fields.  Though a few of the
> birds moved around, I was careful not to double count, and it was easy
> to count the birds one by one since they were fairly spread out from
> one another.
>
> In addition to the uplands, there were also 13 Buff-breasted
> sandpipers with 12 in one group at the north end of Kaiser Road.  A
> few birds in this group were also doing courtship displays.
>
> American golden-plovers, Black-bellied plovers, Killdeer, and a few
> Lesser Yellowlegs were also around.
>
> The Upland and Buffy show was quite the spectacle this morning!
>
> Happy migration!
>
> Craig Litteken
> Daphne

Back to top
Date: 4/14/24 4:55 am
From: Lucy & Bob Email <RobertADuncan...>

Back to top
Date: 4/14/24 4:30 am
From: Tommie Rogers <sundragon1...>
With the constant clearing, development and mowing in most states, where else can they live? I've watched them disappear from counties surrounding me. Too many large properties are mowed year round.
Maybe someone had a good idea putting them there. The habitat is very similar to where I used to live in Florida and enjoyed abundant flocks of NOBO.

Tommie Rogers
Marion county, TN

Date: 4/13/24 11:46 pm
From: Jud Johnston <egrosbeak1946...>

Date: 4/13/24 7:20 pm
From: Drew Haffenden <andrew...>
Must also be releases.

Cheers,

Drew Haffenden
________________________________
[...]

e-mail: <hillgee...><mailto:<hillgee...>

web page: http://www.t<http://www.auburn.edu/academic/science_math/res_area/hill_lab/index.html>hehilllab.com<http://hehilllab.com/>

Date: 4/13/24 9:45 am
From: Greg D. Jackson <g_d_jackson...>
Subject: [ALbirds] Wilson’s Phalarope in Swan Creek WMA
AL Birders:

A basic-plumaged Wilson's Phalarope is an early surprise at Swan Creek WMA. It’s in the dewatering area to the east of West Dike Road. Park at the well-marked new parking area about halfway down the road and walk east past the gate down the track crossing the open area. Several species of shorebirds and ducks are south of the track, best seen from the middle. Long looks, bring a scope. Tim Milback was here when I arrived and had found a couple of molting Black-bellied Plovers.

Greg

Greg D. Jackson
Birmingham, AL

Back to top

Date: 4/10/24 11:04 pm
From: Drew Haffenden <andrew...>
Subject: Re: [ALbirds] WINDY caution
I swap up and down on Windy, like Bob my go to app. It had strong winds - 24 plus - bringing flow from SE to due north to us from this morning. There has been at least one post reporting thousands of birds but I have seen very few

Cheers,

Drew Haffenden
________________________________

Date: 4/10/24 3:39 pm
From: Mason Currier <masonacurrier...>
Subject: [ALbirds] Pelagic Info!
Hi all! I mentioned this a few months ago, and I was serious about it! I have May 25th scheduled to do a pelagic trip. 6 free spaces available, each 400 dollars with a 150 deposit due before the trip. Currently figuring out the best way for the captain to receive deposit payments. Once this is figured out, he will open up the trip to 6. I will let know the day and time you can send in payment. I just wanted to let people know the price and that it is in the works. Looking forward to it!

Mason Currier
Mobile, AL

Back to top
Date: 4/10/24 7:50 am
From: Drew Haffenden <andrew...>
Subject: Re: [ALbirds] AOS Spring meeting delta boat tour
Park and others, the boat is now full. Sorry to those who missed out.

Cheers

Drew Haffenden

Date: 4/10/24 6:02 am
From: park mcgehee <parkmcgehee...>
Catherine and I would like to use 2 ‘of those seats. Who do we need to
contact to reserve them?/

Park mcgehee

On Tue, Apr 9, 2024 at 5:03 PM Drew Haffenden <andrew...> wrote:

> We have 3 spaces on the AOS Spring meeting delta boat tour operated by
> naturalist, author, filmmaker and discoverer of the remains of the Clotida,
> the last slave ship. I have done this trip many times and will be on board.
> Full five hour morning tour. $150.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Drew Haffenden

Back to top
Date: 4/10/24 5:58 am
From: park mcgehee <parkmcgehee...>
Catherine and I will take 2 of those seats. Thx. Park mcgehee

On Tue, Apr 9, 2024 at 5:03 PM Drew Haffenden <andrew...> wrote:

> We have 3 spaces on the AOS Spring meeting delta boat tour operated by
> naturalist, author, filmmaker and discoverer of the remains of the Clotida,
> the last slave ship. I have done this trip many times and will be on board.
> Full five hour morning tour. $150.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Drew Haffenden

Back to top
Date: 4/9/24 5:11 pm
From: Lawrence Gardella <lfgardella...>
Ben Raines, The Last Slave Ship

Larry Gardella
Daphne

On Tue, Apr 9, 2024, 6:23 PM Cheryl Killingsworth <
<killingsworthcheryl...> wrote:

> Let’s do it. Count us in. Pay when we get there by credit card or check,
> or send you the money?
>
> We’ll read the book, too. What’s the author’s last name and/or name of the
> book?
>
> Thanks much,
> Cheryl and Jim
>

> On Apr 9, 2024, at 5:33 PM, Drew Haffenden <andrew...> wrote:
>
> Cheryl 20th, Sat morning. It’s a really great trip and Ben is super
> knowledgeable about the delta and a really nice guy.
>
> Cheers
>
> Drew Haffenden

Back to top
Date: 4/9/24 5:09 pm
From: Cheryl Killingsworth <killingsworthcheryl...>

Back to top
Date: 4/9/24 4:35 pm
From: Drew Haffenden <andrew...>
Ben Raines. America's Amazon was his first book (and video seen on PBS) and the unrelated The Last Slave Ship. The latter, 250 pages I read in 3 sittings, the first half the book. I couldn't put it down as he is a great writer. You can pay Ben directly on the day with cc or other payment methods.

Cheers,

Drew Haffenden
________________________________

Date: 4/9/24 4:24 pm
From: Cheryl Killingsworth <killingsworthcheryl...>
Let’s do it. Count us in. Pay when we get there by credit card or check, or send you the money?

We’ll read the book, too. What’s the author’s last name and/or name of the book?

Thanks much,
Cheryl and Jim

> On Apr 9, 2024, at 5:33 PM, Drew Haffenden <andrew...> wrote:
>
> Cheryl 20th, Sat morning. It’s a really great trip and Ben is super knowledgeable about the delta and a really nice guy.
>
> Cheers
>
> Drew Haffenden

Back to top
Date: 4/9/24 3:39 pm
From: Lawrence Gardella <lfgardella...>
And his book about the discovery (as well as all the details he includes as
background) is wonderful.

Larry Gardella

On Tue, Apr 9, 2024 at 5:03 PM Drew Haffenden <andrew...> wrote:

> We have 3 spaces on the AOS Spring meeting delta boat tour operated by
> naturalist, author, filmmaker and discoverer of the remains of the Clotida,
> the last slave ship. I have done this trip many times and will be on board.
> Full five hour morning tour. $150.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Drew Haffenden

Back to top
Date: 4/9/24 3:34 pm
From: Drew Haffenden <andrew...>

Date: 4/9/24 3:07 pm
From: Cheryl Killingsworth <killingsworthcheryl...>
Drew, what’s the date? Jim McMinn and I would love to go.

Cheryl Killingsworth and James McMinn

> On Apr 9, 2024, at 5:03 PM, Drew Haffenden <andrew...> wrote:
>
> We have 3 spaces on the AOS Spring meeting delta boat tour operated by naturalist, author, filmmaker and discoverer of the remains of the Clotida, the last slave ship. I have done this trip many times and will be on board. Full five hour morning tour. $150.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Drew Haffenden

Back to top

Date: 4/5/24 1:51 pm
From: Geoffrey Hill <hillgee...>
Subject: [ALbirds] Western Grebe at Guntersville
I was able to relocate the Western Grebe at Guntersville Reservoir, but it took some effort. I started around 720am at the Trail of Tears boat ramp and the beach area in Guntersville State Park. I spent about 90 minutes scanning the lake from all angles along this shoreline. Even though it did not seem like a windy morning up in the park, on the south shore of the lake there was a stiff wind with a lot of chop on the lake. There were very few birds in the lake out from this south shore, probably because of the chop and wind. I finally gave up on finding the grebe from that location and drove around to Seibold Boat Ramp on the other side of the lake. To see open water from this location, you have to walk out onto the wooden pier at the boat ramp and look to the left. There were way more birds on this side of the lake, and in with some loons and cormorants was the Western Grebe. It was a long scope view, and the bird was backlit by the morning sun so I identified it mostly by shape. Western Grebes have a very distinctive shape (except from Clarks Grebe).
Maybe on a calm day it will drift back toward the south shore but for now, it is a tough bird to see. Geoff Hill, Auburn

**********************************

Date: 4/4/24 7:14 am
From: Lucy & Bob Email <RobertADuncan...>
Subject: [ALbirds] Analysis of yesterday's coastal birding
Hi all,
Looking at reports from St. Marks to Dauphin Is., the front with its strong NW & W winds vectored a Trans-Gulf movement to the eastern Panhandle. Elizabeth Hawkins described what was a classic fallout at St. George Is. and St. Marks had a large fallout of R. E. Vireos.
Over here in the western Panhandle we came up short, as expected. Checking the paucity of reports from the AL coast, birders there suffered the same fate. Disappointingly, few if any migrants came in to Gulf Breeze overnight from what I have observed so far.
The rain associated with the front dissipated as it approached the Pensacola area but regenerated and extended into the Gulf as it approached the eastern Panhandle, producing classic fallout conditions there. Lucky were the birders who braved the weather and got in on the spectacle!
For the benefit of the legions of new birders in the area, I cannot emphasize enough the importance that WIND DIRECTION AND VELOCITY have on where and when migrants coming from the tropics will make landfall. Cornell's BIRDCAST is great (but not infallible) for predicting Fall movements coming into our area, but it does not help us when it comes to Spring migration. So for that, we must rely on weather information available to us. I rely heavily on the Marine Forecast (NOAA) for wind forecasts about a week ahead.
NW winds will abate by Sat. and swing around to SE and migration will resume, with the thrust toward the TX - LA coasts through Sun. Beyond that, watch the forecast but don't forget West Indian migrants can still be moving through our area.
Bob DuncanGulf Breeze, FL

Back to top
Date: 4/3/24 5:53 pm
From: Lucy & Bob Email <RobertADuncan...>
Subject: [ALbirds] Today's weather
Hi all,
The presence of 6 E. Kingbirds  on The Point here in Gulf Breeze at about 4 p.m., but not present this a.m., tells me these Trans-Gulf migrants came in this afternoon. During bird movements from the tropics, the strongest flyers arrive first, Kingbirds, swallows etc. These were followed at about 5:30 p.m. by a few others, Prothonotaries, Indigos that were not observed this a.m. Slower flyers arrive later, so there could be more arriving after dark. So it MAY be good at the migrant traps tomorrow morning, especially to the east of Pensacola since we have been having strong NW - W winds all day.
The front has penetrated the southern Gulf with winds out of the north on the Yucatan Peninsula, so migration should be shut down. This is reflected in BirdCast's prediction for tonight, Thurs and Friday nights. Winds will swing around Sat and migration conditions should improve.
So if I were going birding this week, I would be at the traps tomorrow morning. That's my best guess.
Happy Birding!
Bob DuncanGulf Breeze, FL

Back to top
Date: 4/3/24 6:37 am
From: Katherine Clemo <kclemo54...>
Subject: Re: [ALbirds] Week's birding propects
Nice!

On Tue, Apr 2, 2024, 9:52 PM Lawrence Gardella <lfgardella...> wrote:

> Hi Bob,
>
> I am looking forward to seeing what this cold front brings in. But in our
> backyard the last 3 days have been good for us on the migrant front.
> Andrea and I have had 3 species of vireo (Red-eyed, Yellow-throated and
> numerous White-eyed), 8 species of warbler (2 Tennessee, one
> Black-and-white, several Prothonotary, 2 or 3 Worm-eating, several Hooded,
> several Northern Parulas, several Pine, one Yellow-rumped), and a Scarlet
> Tanager. Many of the warblers and 3 White-eyed Vireos have bathed in our
> bird baths.
>
> Some of the birds we see are probably staying in the yard for at least a
> few days, but others spend only a few minutes. Andrea and I just hope that
> the show keeps going.
>
> Larry Gardella
> Daphne
>
> On Mon, Apr 1, 2024 at 10:44 AM Lucy & Bob Email <
> <RobertADuncan...> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Currently, it's pretty dull in Gulf Breeze, not a single migrant this
>> a.m., except Parula and WE Vireo, both probably left over from last week's
>> movements. Not much should change today, with birds unimpeded by either
>> rain or headwinds, their destination inland locations but not the coast.
>> Except for a few that might trickle out.
>>
>> The next weather event will be a cold front entering our area on Tuesday
>> night with winds shifting to NW 10 - 20 knots for Wednesday and Thursday.
>> This is good news for Pensacola and Tallahassee birders as Trans-Gulf
>> migrants should be vectored more toward our coast rather than the usual
>> Texas - SW LA landfall. This front will not be accompanied by heavy weather
>> in the Gulf as the squall line should not extend far into the Gulf. Hence,
>> no classic fallout expected.
>>
>> So my best guess is that the best birding days will be Wednesday
>> afternoon and Thursday, especially areas to the east of LA. Late arrivals
>> should be expected since birds will experience headwinds, maybe coming in
>> overnight rather than the expected late morning - afternoon arrivals.
>>
>> Once the front reaches the southern Gulf, it will hinder further
>> migration north, but I don't know if that will be the case. If it does,
>> then prospects for the weekend will not be good.
>>
>> And that is my best guess.
>>
>> Bob Duncan
>> Gulf Breeze, FL
>>

>> --
>> Lucy and Bob Duncan
>> Gulf Breeze, Florida

Back to top
Date: 4/2/24 6:52 pm
From: Lawrence Gardella <lfgardella...>

<RobertADuncan...> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Currently, it's pretty dull in Gulf Breeze, not a single migrant this
> a.m., except Parula and WE Vireo, both probably left over from last week's
> movements. Not much should change today, with birds unimpeded by either
> rain or headwinds, their destination inland locations but not the coast.
> Except for a few that might trickle out.
>
> The next weather event will be a cold front entering our area on Tuesday
> night with winds shifting to NW 10 - 20 knots for Wednesday and Thursday.
> This is good news for Pensacola and Tallahassee birders as Trans-Gulf
> migrants should be vectored more toward our coast rather than the usual
> Texas - SW LA landfall. This front will not be accompanied by heavy weather
> in the Gulf as the squall line should not extend far into the Gulf. Hence,
> no classic fallout expected.
>
> So my best guess is that the best birding days will be Wednesday afternoon
> and Thursday, especially areas to the east of LA. Late arrivals should be
> expected since birds will experience headwinds, maybe coming in overnight
> rather than the expected late morning - afternoon arrivals.
>
> Once the front reaches the southern Gulf, it will hinder further migration
> north, but I don't know if that will be the case. If it does, then
> prospects for the weekend will not be good.
>
> And that is my best guess.
>
> Bob Duncan
> Gulf Breeze, FL
>

> --
> Lucy and Bob Duncan
> Gulf Breeze, Florida

Back to top
Date: 4/2/24 6:24 pm
From: Cynthia Freeman <Cynthiafreeman633...>
Subject: Re: [ALbirds] AOS Spring Meeting
Drew,

I have registered. Really looking forward to the weekend. Super excited
about the guest speaker, Nathan Pieplow. I have a lot to learn about
birding by ear!

Cynthia

Cynthia L Freeman
Dauphin Island, AL.

On Tue, Apr 2, 2024 at 4:41 PM Drew Haffenden <andrew...> wrote:

> Everyone if you intend coming to the Spring AOS meeting please register
> now! We have limited space and need to finalize this and catering for
> banquet and Friday workshop and social evening by April 8 at the latest.
> After that attendance at events may not be possible for those not
> registered.

Back to top
Date: 4/2/24 2:41 pm
From: Drew Haffenden <andrew...>
Subject: [ALbirds] AOS Spring Meeting

Date: 3/31/24 10:23 am
From: Lucy & Bob Email <RobertADuncan...>
Subject: [ALbirds] Fork-tailed Flycatcher at FT. Pickens 8:45 a.m.
Bird at Ft. Pickens moving W down the island. Ft. Morgan birders be on alert!
  Bob  Duncan
Gulf Breeze, FL

Back to top
Date: 3/30/24 6:13 pm
From: Lawrence Gardella <lfgardella...>
Subject: [ALbirds] Interesting Song Series by Hooded Warbler
[image: image.png]
A B C D
B E B
On March 25 at Bayfront Park/Village Point Preserve, Daphne, Alabama, I
heard what I originally thought was singing by more than one Hooded Warbler
and then suspected was single bird giving a loud song and echoing it with
softer versions soon after the main song. The recording (done on my
cellphone) is attached.

I emailed Donald Kroodsma, who has written the definitive books on bird
song, asking what he thought of the recording. Dr. Kroodsma responded:

Interesting. I see 7 songs in your recording.

If I give each unique song a letter, I see what I think is A B C D B E B.

A is the loudest, and occurs only once. I would bet that is one bird. Let's
call him Bird A.

Then there's what I think is a second bird, which is B, who sings song B.

And then I would bet there are 2 other males (C and D) in the area. The
songs are too close together to think that they'd be from the same bird,
and they're fainter than the songs A and B. So I think those are 2 more
birds.

By the time we get to B E B, I'd guess that it is Bird B continuing to sing
there, and the song E could be from Birds C or D, given there's been some
time since Songs C and D, and given that these Hooded Warblers have several
different songs in their repertoire.

My best guess: Birds A B C D, and then song E could be from either Birds C
or D.

Songs A and B are so similar to each other yet the 3 B versions are alike
and distinctly different from A.

And most hooded warbler males would have only one song like that.

When I followed up by saying that I do not believe that Hooded Warblers
breed regularly at Bayfront Park/Village Point Preserve (and that they are
one of the several Alabama species with a customary breeding range just
north of I-10, and Bayfront is at least 1.5 miles south of that highway), Dr.
Kroodsma answered:

I suspect a flock of migrants moving through, close to their breeding site,
singing on the way.

When you are out looking for migrant warblers, listen to them, too. And
record anything that strikes you as interesting.

Larry Gardella

Daphne

Back to top
Date: 3/30/24 8:12 am
From: Greg D. Jackson <g_d_jackson...>
Subject: Re: [ALbirds] New eBird pelagic filter coverage - Gulf of Mexico (GoM) waters
AL Birders:

Steve did a great job portraying the new eBird pelagic tool. However,
after discussion with Steve and Howard Horne, I wanted to post a
reminder that the eBird (and Am. Birding Assoc.) pelagic boundaries do
NOT correspond to the official boundaries used for Alabama records and
by the Alabama Bird Records Committee (ABRC).

Alabama records have always been based on the concept of waters directly
offshore, or perpendicular to the general direction of our coastline. So
for us that means directly south, with no intervening land between our
shores and Mexico. This was codified in the original Bylaws of the ABRC
in 1987 as waters between lines of longitude dropped from the borders at
the mainland south to 200 nautical miles.

Texas birder Dwight Peake made a strong attempt for the states along the
Gulf to coordinate their pelagic boundaries and allow all states
fronting the Gulf reasonable "access" to their offshore waters. This
concept was included in an excellent 1996 article he co-authored with
Mark Elwonger ("A New Frontier: Pelagic Birding in the Gulf of Mexico,"
/Winging It/ 8(1): 1, 4-9). The ABA was formulating a pelagic boundary
policy for listing around that time, ultimately using the Closest Point
of Land (CPL) system continued by eBird. The problem with that for the
northern Gulf is the projection of Louisiana, particularly the long and
narrow projection of the Mouth of the Mississippi and the Chandeleur
Islands. Using a CPL approach, Alabama waters were significantly
decreased and Mississippi was excluded from all deep waters directly off
their shore. The resultant borders were a difficult-to-use set of
diagonal boundaries with little relation to the traditional concept of
offshore waters.

Peake's plan was to use longitudinal boundaries extending to the
Economic Exclusion Zone (EEZ) for the region between Louisiana and
Florida, with Alabama retaining traditional waters and Mississippi with
a narrow corridor directly south (but avoiding Louisiana territorial
waters off the Chandeleurs). Ultimately Peake's efforts to achieve
consensus were unsuccessful, as were mine when I continued the effort.
In 1998 the ABRC studied this issue and seriously considered multiple
opinions from others in the Gulf region, with a unanimous endorsement to
continue Alabama's traditional "direct offshore" approach extending
south to the EEZ. This was formalized further in the Bylaws after work
by Howard using detailed mapping programs. Disparity between the two
methodologies results in zones where records are claimed by two states;
I have tried to share as many of these as possible over the years.

The graphic below shows the CPL boundaries used by eBird/ABA which Steve
presented together with an overlay (in yellow) of the official Alabama
bird records area. The longitudinal coordinates of the east and west
borders are given. On prior dedicated birding pelagic trips we have used
that eastern boundary ("The Wall") as an easy-to-use navigational guide,
trying not to stray east into what we considered Florida waters. (In
fact, past recreational birding pelagic ventures have almost always
remained within waters covered by both systems.) Most Alabama birders
playing the listing game over the years have used the official Alabama
standard, but as in all things related to listing it is a personal choice.

I hope this is helpful in a better understanding of the methodology and
history of these boundaries. If you have further questions, please
contact me offlist.

Greg

Greg D. Jackson

AOS Bird Records Compiler

Birmingham, AL

<g_d_jackson...>

On 3/24/2024 10:10 PM, <swmavocet...> via groups.io wrote:
> AL-Birders,
> I want to pass along some eBird news regarding the Alabama offshore
> pelagic filter lat/long coordinate boundaries.
>
> After several years in development, eBird rolled out in Jan 2024 new
> pelagic filter boundaries worldwide, including the Gulf of Mexico
> (GoM).  The new pelagic filter boundaries follow the generally
> accepted "closest point of land" criteria to assign a report to a
> country or a U.S. state such as in the case of GoM waters.
>
> The new Alabama eBird pelagic filter zone starts at 10 nm offshore
> (about where you lose sight of land) and ends in a point about 105 nm
> directly south of FL shore.  See the five-sided polygon plotted below
> marked "AL". .   If the location of your sightings is within 0-10
> nautical miles (nm) offshore (the purple strip shown below in the
> first Google map), the closest land filter in checklist form will
> appear in the eBird software for you to choose from.  Beyond 10 nm out
> to the polygon point farthest south, the new pelagic filter will
> appear in checklist form.  The pelagic filter will have far fewer
> species to pick through so it is more useful than a land filter when
> ebirding on the high seas or entering sightings after your boat trip
> is done.
>
> The central-northern GoM filter boundaries now look like these.
>

> The lat/long coordinates for the AL polygon are approximately these:
> Inline image
>
> If you are a Google Earth user, the attached .kmz file may be imported
> to see this new eBird GoM boundary layout along with all the eBird
> worldwide pelagic filter boundaries recently established for the first
> time.
>
> Using the GE view I overlayed the coordinates of the 5-sided Alabama
> polygon corners on the Google satellite view showing the underwater
> terrain.  DeSoto Canyon seen here at 500-1000 fathoms depth east of
> Venice, LA has been a productive target location for pelagic trips
> over the years.
>
> Even with the new polygon boundary there is still a canyon edge to
> target within the new Alabama eBird zone.  But if you stray too far
> east, west , or south out of the Alabama polygon, eBird will now
> record your sightings as occurring outside Alabama waters.
>

> Inline image
>

> Good luck,
>
> Steve McConnell
> Hartselle, AL

Back to top
Date: 3/29/24 11:27 am
From: Donald Dehm <donalddehm...>
Subject: Re: [ALbirds] Gray gull
Glad you got it!!

Donald

On Fri, Mar 29, 2024 at 12:49 Drew Haffenden <andrew...> wrote:

> Gray Gull close flyover 10.30 this morning Alabama Point.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Drew Haffenden
> ------------------------------

Back to top

Date: 3/28/24 1:59 pm
From: Mason Currier <masonacurrier...>
Subject: Re: [ALbirds] Possible Western Flycather
Thanks for the input! Unfortunately these are the only pics I got. I deleted others but I didn’t get any better looks at the wings. I photographed it at this moment when it was alone and not interacting with the Alder. I am super unfamiliar with WEFL and just took a Quick look at some guides and to me it watched WEFL. If you don’t mind, could you point out to me what my bird is missing from what the photos can tell? Thanks

Back to top
Date: 3/28/24 12:00 pm
From: Collin Stempien <cstempien40...>

Back to top
Date: 3/28/24 11:20 am
From: Jim Holmes via groups.io <jfholmes...>
Mason,

Thanks for the photos.

When I first looked at the photo on my phone I felt that it looked good for Western and if I saw that bird out here in California, I probably would not look at it a 2nd time.

When, I looked on my computer screen, however, I was less optimistic so I sent it to a few experts out here.

The response so far has been mixed between lean to YBFL, not able to rule out either and could be Western but need more photos.

As for your thoughts, any of the Empidonax can have that crested look, especially when interacting with another bird. There are plenty of photos in eBird of crested appearing YBFL.

There are also plenty of images in eBird of YBFL with a similar eye-ring as your bird (thicker posteriorly). I do not think your bird's eye-ring has the classic, pointed teardrop shape of WEFL.

The bill appears within the range of both species.

The wing panel which is the really diagnostic character that needs to be seen is not visible enough. What you have circled on the primaries looks more like a YBFL wing panel than WEFL but without better angle/photos, I can't be sure. I tried to find some WEFL photos in ebird that were at a similar angle as your bird to see the wing panel at this angle. Unfortunately, the photos of WEFL wing panels that I found at a similar angle do not look like your bird's wing panel. See https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/585609111 https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/109415761 https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/585609081 https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/337563751

Your images are numbered 308 and 313. Are there additional images (309, 310, 311, and 312)?

Date: 3/28/24 2:57 am
From: Donald Dehm <donalddehm...>
Drew,
It is still being seen at Alabama Point, usually early in the morning.
If you park at the main parking area of Alabama Point on East Side of the
bridge, take the boardwalk near restrooms that lead to the life guard
station near bridge base.
Check the beaches from the bridge and south to the Gulf, be sure to check
the sand spot/peninsula that jets into Perdido pass.
It has been known to hang with groups of Laughing Gulls and Pelicans.
Often it is on the outer edges of these groups, but if someone is feeding
birds, he may be right up in the mix, just look for that one gill that
takes its food to the shoreline to wash it.

Full odd mostly gray, but his head is paler and may be turning to white of
an adult male.

Donald

On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 21:29 Drew Haffenden <andrew...> wrote:

> I am back from traveling and want to go for Gray Gull Friday. Info needed
> and welcome. Thanks.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Drew Haffenden

Back to top

Date: 3/27/24 12:31 pm
From: Melinda W <Modoodle1989...>
Subject: Re: [ALbirds] Odd Cattle egret

Back to top
Date: 3/27/24 11:28 am
From: Jud Johnston <egrosbeak1946...>
The gray-blue on the upper breast is evocative of tricolored heron. Is
interbreeding possible?

Jud Johnston
Waynesboro, TN

Back to top

Date: 3/27/24 6:05 am
From: Brent <brenteanes72...>

Back to top

Date: 3/25/24 3:56 pm
From: Bill Summerour <billsummerour...>
Steve,

Thanks...

Bill

On Sun, Mar 24, 2024, 10:11 PM <swmavocet...> via groups.io <swmavocet=
<aol.com...> wrote:

> AL-Birders,
> I want to pass along some eBird news regarding the Alabama offshore
> pelagic filter lat/long coordinate boundaries.
>
> After several years in development, eBird rolled out in Jan 2024 new
> pelagic filter boundaries worldwide, including the Gulf of Mexico (GoM).
> The new pelagic filter boundaries follow the generally accepted "closest
> point of land" criteria to assign a report to a country or a U.S. state
> such as in the case of GoM waters.
>
> The new Alabama eBird pelagic filter zone starts at 10 nm offshore (about
> where you lose sight of land) and ends in a point about 105 nm directly
> south of FL shore. See the five-sided polygon plotted below marked "AL".
> . If the location of your sightings is within 0-10 nautical miles (nm)
> offshore (the purple strip shown below in the first Google map), the
> closest land filter in checklist form will appear in the eBird software for
> you to choose from. Beyond 10 nm out to the polygon point farthest south,
> the new pelagic filter will appear in checklist form. The pelagic filter
> will have far fewer species to pick through so it is more useful than a
> land filter when ebirding on the high seas or entering sightings after your
> boat trip is done.
>
> The central-northern GoM filter boundaries now look like these.
> [image: Inline image]
>
> The lat/long coordinates for the AL polygon are approximately these:
> [image: Inline image]
>
> If you are a Google Earth user, the attached .kmz file may be imported to
> see this new eBird GoM boundary layout along with all the eBird worldwide
> pelagic filter boundaries recently established for the first time.
>
> Using the GE view I overlayed the coordinates of the 5-sided Alabama
> polygon corners on the Google satellite view showing the underwater
> terrain. DeSoto Canyon seen here at 500-1000 fathoms depth east of Venice,
> LA has been a productive target location for pelagic trips over the years.
>
> Even with the new polygon boundary there is still a canyon edge to target
> within the new Alabama eBird zone. But if you stray too far east, west ,
> or south out of the Alabama polygon, eBird will now record your sightings
> as occurring outside Alabama waters.
>

> [image: Inline image]
>

> Good luck,
>
> Steve McConnell
> Hartselle, AL

Back to top

Date: 3/24/24 7:14 am
From: Lucy & Bob Email <RobertADuncan...>
Subject: [ALbirds] Tropical vagrants and the Weather
Hi all,
The presence of a male Indigo Bunting in our yard this morning while Lucy and I were having first coffee, sent me to the bookshelf to get "A Field Guide to the Birds of the West Indies" 1998 by Raffaele, Garrido et al. I checked just to make sure I recalled there was a population that wintered there. Sure enough, a common winter resident. I could not imagine that our bird crossed the Gulf against the strong N winds of the past two days.
Winds are now swinging around to the NE this a.m. and will be SE by this afternoon increasing to near GALE force Monday and Tuesday! Birders looking for really super finds should consider what winds of this nature might bring up from the tropics.
Consider what we have had in the past in our area - Elaenia  (sp), Tropical Kingbird, Fork-tailed Flycatcher, Yellow-green Vireo, Black-whiskered Vireo (fairly regular). And consider what has occurred in South Florida and Louisiana and what could be found here - LaSagra's Flycatcher, Thick-billed Vireo, Red-legged Thrush, Bahama Mockingbird, Mangrove Swallow, Bananaquit, Slaty-capped Flycatcher, Red-legged Honeycreeper, Cuban Emerald just to name some.
So tomorrow and Tuesday are ideal days for strays from Tropics to turn up. However, it is early in the season as most of the above mentioned came in later.
Heads up,
Bob DuncanGulf Breeze, FL

Back to top
Date: 3/24/24 7:09 am
From: Mason Currier <masonacurrier...>
I’m really not sure…I have next to no experience with these.

Back to top
Date: 3/23/24 11:05 am
From: Ken Hare <kmhare46...>
Subject: Re: [ALbirds] Author of Acclaimed New Bird Book to be in Montgomery Thursday Evening

Back to top
Date: 3/23/24 9:21 am
From: Lawrence Gardella <lfgardella...>
Trish O'Kane is a senior lecturer at the University of Vermont. One of
the classes she has taught for years is called "Birding to Change
the World". She has now written a book with that same name. It was
recently published and has been getting great reviews.

On Thursday, March 28, from 5:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., Trish will be in
Montgomery for a book signing at New South Bookstore. You are sure to find
her to be good company. 15 months ago, she was great company as she helped
me cover my section of the Fort Morgan Christmas Bird Count.

Please help to get the word out to people who live in the Montgomery area
and to those who would drive a bit for the chance to meet her and get to
purchase the book.

Thank you,

Larry Gardella
Daphne

Back to top
Date: 3/23/24 7:20 am
From: Lucy & Bob Email <RobertADuncan...>
Just got a message that the Gray Gull is at Alabama Point now (9:20 am) flying around with pelicans.
Lucy Duncan

Back to top
Date: 3/22/24 5:16 pm
From: Rodney McCollum <rodneyani...>
Hey Mason, do you think the tail appears long? That is a characteristic
of Western Flycatcher along with the eye ring wide at rear as you said.
Jim Holmes may know.
On Fri, Mar 22, 2024, 5:38 PM Mason Currier <masonacurrier...> wrote:

> Additional note-
>
> I reviewed my list I noted in my supposed YBFL observation that the bird
> was "giving strange chirp and squeaky notes." Good vocalization match for
> WEFL. I assumed it was making weird sounds in response to its fight with
> the ALFL.

Back to top
Date: 3/22/24 2:38 pm
From: Mason Currier <masonacurrier...>

Date: 3/20/24 5:44 pm
From: Ken Hare <kmhare46...>
Subject: [ALbirds] eBird back online
Some birders can ease their withdrawal symptoms - eBird is back online early. - Ken H.

Back to top
Date: 3/19/24 11:43 am
From: Cynthia Freeman <Cynthiafreeman633...>
Subject: Re: [ALbirds] Refresher on current weather and its effect on bird migration
Thank you Bob and Lucy! I sure have a lot to learn.

Cynthia

Cynthia L Freeman

On Tue, Mar 19, 2024 at 11:21 AM Lucy & Bob Email <
<RobertADuncan...> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> For the benefit of all those new birders who have entered the birding
> scene of late, I thought I would post a summary of what effect current
> weather is having on migration. One should bear in mind this is an educated
> guess.
>
> The cold front of Sunday night has reached the Florida Straits and winds
> yesterday here were about 20 - 25 mph out of the north, and today (10 a.m.)
> as I look out at Pensacola Bay they are about 15 - 20 mph out of the NE.
> Northerly winds in the southern Gulf would give migrants headwinds and poor
> migrating conditions. So Trans-Gulf migration should be basically shut
> down, although it is too early in the season to start looking for that
> anyway. That will begin soon.
>
> What we get this early in the season are mostly West Indian migrants that
> don't have to face the prospect of getting smacked by a cold front and
> headwinds out in the Gulf. Some populations of migrants that winter in the
> West Indies are: Parulas, Palms, Yellow-throateds, Black & White,
> Redstarts, Louisiana Waterthrushes, and Hoodeds and almost all Prairies.
> Their brethren that winter in Central and South America will come later,
> taking advantage of tail winds from the Bermuda High pressure system.
>
> This front would be somewhat of a hindrance to birds that have already
> reached South Florida but would not stop them from moving north up the
> peninsula, though I suspect that some who usually cut across the NE Gulf
> might have second thoughts (pardon the anthropomorphism).
>
> As I wrote this I heard Lucy shout "Hooded Warbler at the pond!" Great!
> More to come! Get ready!.
>
> Bob Duncan
> Gulf Breeze, FL
>

> --