ALBirds
Received From Subject
10/21/18 11:27 am 'Duncan, Scot' <sduncan...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] East Lake Park and Zion Prairie birding
10/19/18 8:51 am 'Simbeck, Damien J' <djsimbeck...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Fall Bird Walk, Week 8
10/19/18 5:48 am 'Duncan, Scot' <sduncan...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> RE: [ALBIRDS] New arrivals
10/18/18 7:13 pm Karen Chiasson <kchiasson74...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Swainson's Hawk - Juvenile
10/18/18 12:58 pm J C Allen <ssallen1...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Snow geese
10/18/18 10:36 am 'Simbeck, Damien J' <djsimbeck...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] TVA Nature Trails
10/17/18 1:55 pm 'Simbeck, Damien J' <djsimbeck...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] This week's Fall Bird Walk
10/16/18 3:51 pm Karen Chiasson <kchiasson74...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Mangrove Cuckoo at Fort Morgan
10/15/18 9:09 am James Holmes <jfholmes...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Clay-colored Sparrow at Auburn Arboreteum
10/14/18 10:19 am James Holmes <jfholmes...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Russell County Oct 14
10/12/18 7:46 pm Ken Hare <kmhare46...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] AOS meeting
10/12/18 9:14 am 'Simbeck, Damien J' <djsimbeck...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Fall Bird Walk - Week 7
10/11/18 7:04 pm Ken Hare <kmhare46...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] The Shell Mounds alive with birds
10/11/18 10:24 am 'Lucy and Bob Duncan' <robertaduncan...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Update on today's migrants
10/10/18 8:47 pm ANNE G MILLER <amiller_1...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Fall AOS Meeting
10/10/18 8:38 pm Andrew Haffenden <andrew...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> RE: [ALBIRDS] Birding prospects
10/10/18 6:39 pm 'Lucy and Bob Duncan' <robertaduncan...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Birding prospects
10/9/18 10:15 am <TNbarredowl...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] This week's bird walk
10/8/18 6:46 pm Jud Johnston <rivendell...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> Re: [ALBIRDS] Mute Swans
10/8/18 6:36 pm 'Lucy and Bob Duncan' <robertaduncan...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Michael's impact on birding
10/8/18 12:50 pm <deechancey...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Mute Swans
10/6/18 5:35 pm Ken Hare <kmhare46...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Re: Still time to register to hear expert speakers, field trips at AOS meeting on Dauphin Island
10/6/18 2:10 pm 'Duncan, Scot' <sduncan...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Ruffner Report Oct 6 2018
10/6/18 1:49 pm Rodney Mccollum <rdny328...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] A good day of birding in Lee County
10/6/18 4:40 am 'Damien J. Simbeck' <TNbarredowl...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Wheeler Boat Trip
10/5/18 9:43 am 'Damien J. Simbeck' <TNbarredowl...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Fall Bird Walk - Week 6
10/4/18 10:49 am ANNE G MILLER <amiller_1...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] AOS Fall Meeting
10/2/18 6:36 am <TNbarredowl...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Wheeler Boat Trip
9/29/18 5:52 pm 'Lucy and Bob Duncan' <robertaduncan...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Today's trip
9/29/18 4:58 pm Patricia Hefner <patriciahefner2444...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> Re: [ALBIRDS] Big fall day in Homewood at the house
9/29/18 3:58 pm <mikecarsonribbons...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Big fall day in Homewood at the house
9/29/18 2:17 pm Bob Reed <bobreed1987...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Front
9/29/18 1:34 pm Lorna West <jjoal...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Migrant
9/27/18 9:17 am <TNbarredowl...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Wheeler Locks
9/27/18 8:13 am <deechancey...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] American White Pelican
9/27/18 7:13 am 'Simbeck, Damien J' <djsimbeck...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Fall Bird Walks, Week 5
9/26/18 8:47 am 'Gregory J. Harber' <gharber...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> Re: [ALBIRDS] American White Pelican at Lake Purdy
9/26/18 8:41 am Dana Hamilton <stan_dana_h...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] American White Pelican at Lake Purdy
9/23/18 7:00 pm <gm72125...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Bananas for Migrant Hummingbirds
9/22/18 7:42 pm 'Damien J. Simbeck' <TNbarredowl...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...> [ALBIRDS] Church and Walker Ponds, post thunderstorms

Back to top
Date: 10/21/18 11:27 am
From: 'Duncan, Scot' <sduncan...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] East Lake Park and Zion Prairie birding
Hey Birders,

I hope you got out today (Sunday). The front brought many birds our way.

I started the morning at East Lake Park where I had a first-ever-at-the-park-for-me Great Egret*, plus many Black-crowned Night-Herons*.

(*pictures on eBird).

I then birded Zion Prairie, the derelict lands surrounding the Birmingham Airport. This is open field habitat with hedgerows of shrubs and small trees, and this time of year the area is a bird-magnet. Best birds were a Least Flycatcher (second for the weekend) and a Lincoln's Sparrow*. I had 8 sparrow species total, which also included Vesper*

There were a few seasonal rarities, including Tennessee Warblers*, Blue Grosbeak*, White-eyed Vireo*, Barn Swallow. Other winter visitors are arriving besides the sparrows, including Orange-crowned* and Palm Warblers*, and two Red-breasted Nuthatches.

If you head to Zion Prairie, I suggest you bring a friend. I didn't see a soul for several hours, but there's evidence that there is a busy nightlife out there. Watch for missing manhole covers, and for piles of illegally dumped materials in the road. All this is too bad, of course. This could be a tremendously wonderful park for the community.

Links to my eBird list with photos from both locations are below.

Zion Prairie: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49341172

East Lake Park: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49335755

Back to top
Date: 10/19/18 8:51 am
From: 'Simbeck, Damien J' <djsimbeck...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Fall Bird Walk, Week 8
Four birders enjoyed cool weather and lots of activity this morning along the Upper Rockpile Trail. We decided to rename the trail the Auburn Trail, since Tennessee (Warblers, that is) just dominated. We did find 56 species, the most this year, including seven species of warblers. We did find several winter birds in the area as well. Flyovers gave us a few nice treats. A Snowy Egret joined the usual parade of Great Egrets flying south to feeding areas first thing in the morning. Shortly afterward, a Common Loon flew over with a cormorant. Later in the morning, a Merlin flew rapidly across the power line opening. One of the best birds of the day was a very cooperative Lincoln's Sparrow. As mentioned above, Tennessee Warblers were seen in flocks. One group was feeding in ragweed near the west end of the old campground. We had estimated 8-10 birds in the group, then they started flying across the road in front of us. We counted 16 birds in the group, and I think there were some more in the ragweed that didn't fly over. As the group began feeding along the tree line, we picked out two oddballs. One was a Yellow-rumped that we had seen in the ragweed. The other was a no-so-cooperative Nashville. Later, another group of Tennessee's were joined by three Magnolia's, an Orange-crowned, a Black-throated Green and a Bay-breasted. Total numbers are listed below. Our normal rule is to end the walks after Yellow-rumped Warblers outnumber Magnolia's. That was not the case this week. My work schedule next week, however, may not give me the time to lead a walk. I'll send out another message next week, but today's walk may be it for 2018.

Canada Goose-10, Wood Duck-8, Rock Pigeon-15, Mourning Dove-3, Ruby-throated Hummingbird-1, Ring-billed Gull-30, Lesser Black-backed Gull-4, Common Loon-1, Double-crested Cormorant-200, Great Blue Heron-21, Great Egret-64, Snowy Egret-1, Black Vulture-20, Turkey Vulture-5, Osprey-1, Belted Kingfisher-1, Red-bellied Woodpecker-2, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker-3, Downy Woodpecker-1, Northern Flicker-4, Pileated Woodpecker-1, American Kestrel-1, Merlin-1, Eastern Phoebe-1, White-eyed Vireo-1, Blue Jay-6, American Crow-10, Carolina Chickadee-9, Tufted Titmouse-3, House Wren-2, Carolina Wren-3, Golden-crowned Kinglet-1, Ruby-crowned Kinglet-3, Hermit Thrush-1, American Robin-2, Gray Catbird-1, Brown Thrasher-4, Northern Mockingbird-2, European Starling-40, House Finch-9, White-throated Sparrow-3, Song Sparrow-2, Lincoln's Sparrow-1, Eastern Towhee-3, Red-winged Blackbird-200, Brown-headed Cowbird-100, Common Grackle-150, Tennessee Warbler-26, Orange-crowned Warbler-1, Nashville Warbler-1, Magnolia Warbler-6, Bay-breasted Warbler-3, Yellow-rumped Warbler-2, Bl.-thr. Green Warbler-2, Northern Cardinal-12, Indigo Bunting-2

Damien Simbeck
Killen, AL

Back to top
Date: 10/19/18 5:48 am
From: 'Duncan, Scot' <sduncan...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Date: 10/18/18 7:13 pm
From: Karen Chiasson <kchiasson74...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Swainson's Hawk - Juvenile
Had a juvenile Swainson's Hawk today at Fort Morgan. It was flying in a kettle of raptors including Red-tailed, Broad-winged, Red-shouldered, & Cooper's Hawks, Peregrine Falcon, & Merlins... Also had an adult Bald Eagle fly over twice... Plus two Owl species, Barn & Great Horned... Photo was posted on EBird...

Karen Chiasson
Silverhill, AL

Ornithological Society (AOS) and is provided
as a service to the birding community. AOS
does not endorse the views or opinions expressed
by the members of this discussion group. Nor
does AOS support or endorse the advertising
provided by the Yahoo Groups list service.

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
<albirds-digest...>
<albirds-fullfeatured...>

<albirds-unsubscribe...>

Back to top
Date: 10/18/18 12:58 pm
From: J C Allen <ssallen1...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Snow geese
Snow geese in at Arrowhead Landing.Wheeler NWR, About 7 . Maybe post on e- bird but will take a while.

Jane Allen
Huntsville, AL

Sent from my iPhone

Date: 10/18/18 10:36 am
From: 'Simbeck, Damien J' <djsimbeck...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] TVA Nature Trails
I spent most of the morning working on the TVA Nature Trails today, and of course watching the birds along the way. There were several areas with good bird activity and I ended the morning with 7 species of warblers (Tennessee, Common Yellowthroat, Magnolia, Bay-breasted, Blackburnian, Yellow-rumped and Black-throated Green). I also had Blue-headed and Philadelphia Vireos. A few Rose-breasted Grosbeaks were still around, but winter was also well represented (Sapsucker, Ruby-crowned Kinglet and Junco). I hope tomorrow morning will also be active at the Upper Rockpile Trail.

Damien Simbeck
Killen, AL

Back to top
Date: 10/17/18 1:55 pm
From: 'Simbeck, Damien J' <djsimbeck...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] This week's Fall Bird Walk
This week's Bird Walk will be Friday. We will meet at 6:45 at the Wilson Dam Visitor Center Parking lot. Based on weather conditions and results of some field work during the past few days, I would bet this will be the last walk of the season. We'll see what the Magnolia and Yellow-rumped Warblers have to say about this. Hope to see you Friday.

Recent sightings include Hermit Thrush, lots of Yellow-rumped Warblers and Dunlin at Marbut Bend yesterday; a swarm of Tree Swallows at Town Creek Marsh yesterday; Least and Pectoral Sandpipers, Wilson's Snipe and both yellowlegs at Church/Walker Ponds today; Lesser Black-backed Gulls at both Wheeler and Wilson Dam; Laughing and Franklin's Gulls at Wheeler locks yesterday.

Damien Simbeck
Killen, AL

Back to top
Date: 10/16/18 3:51 pm
From: Karen Chiasson <kchiasson74...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Mangrove Cuckoo at Fort Morgan
Mangrove Cuckoo - I saw it fly from one large shrub to another right in front of me - approximately 20-40ft away. Definitely a Mangrove with buffy sides and belly; large white spots along edge of tail. With this particular bird I noticed there was hardly any white at all underneath! Brought in by Hurricane Michael? Unfortunately, the Cuckoo flew into another shrub deep within - no chance of photo... Maybe it will stick around for a few days...

Date: 10/15/18 9:09 am
From: James Holmes <jfholmes...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Clay-colored Sparrow at Auburn Arboreteum
I helped my dad lead an Olli at Auburn birding basics class to the Auburn Arboretum this morning and we found a Clay-colored Sparrow. The bird was in some small bushes just south of the maintenance buildings (google map coordinates: 32.594409, -85.483854)

eBird checklist with photos: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49210564

Thanks,

Jim Holmes
Currently in Auburn, AL

Back to top
Date: 10/14/18 10:19 am
From: James Holmes <jfholmes...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Russell County Oct 14
Rodney McCollum and I birded several spots in Russell County this morning.

Highlight was a Red-breasted Nuthatch and 3 (all together) Bay-breasted Warblers at Fort Mitchell National Cemetery.
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49186980

We also birded Uchee Creek and Wetlands https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49186968 and along Boswell road https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49186962

We ultimately had 51 species including 11 species of warblers:

Thanks,

Jim Holmes
Currently in Auburn, AL

Back to top
Date: 10/12/18 7:46 pm
From: Ken Hare <kmhare46...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] AOS meeting
To Alabama Ornithological Society members: it appears that everything on Dauphin Island will be fine for the AOS meeting beginning Friday morning, as well as for those arriving Thursday. Andrew Haffenden, island resident, just wrote: “Other than rough surf and the west end road being flooded, open only to residents/renters, there’s been no real effect here that would affect the meeting...” The forecast for Thursday is: “Mostly sunny, with a high near 82. Breezy, with a northwest wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.” For Friday it is: “Sunny, with a high near 79. North wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.”

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 10/12/18 9:14 am
From: 'Simbeck, Damien J' <djsimbeck...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Fall Bird Walk - Week 7
Five birders enjoyed the first cool weather bird walk of the year (50 instead of 70, much better). The winds had been predicted to die down by morning, but they didn't listen to the weatherman. An almost constant 5-10 mph "breeze" probably put a damper on bird activity (or allowed all the migrants to shoot over us and give Dauphin Island a great weekend). We were completely inundated with Red-winged Blackbirds and Brown-headed Cowbirds. Both species obviously love hackberry and ragweed. The trees and fields were full of both species, making things difficult to see any other birds moving. My estimates are probably way too low. Warblers were few (4 species) and we got our first Yellow-rumped so winter is coming. We also had our first Golden-crowned Kinglet, though we still have not seen a Ruby-crowned. Next week's walk will also be on Friday. We will meet at 6:45.

Canada Goose-4, Rock Pigeon-7, Mourning Dove-3, Chimney Swift-1, Ring-billed Gull-6, Double-crested Cormorant-250, Great Blue Heron-25, Great Egret-71, Black Vulture-2, Belted Kingfisher-1, Red-bellied Woodpecker-4, Downy Woodpecker-2, Northern Flicker-4, Eastern Phoebe-1, White-eyed Vireo-1, Blue Jay-7, American Crow-4, Carolina Chickadee-3, Tufted Titmouse-1, Carolina Wren-5, Golden-crowned Kinglet-1, Gray Catbird-1, Brown Thrasher-1, Northern Mockingbird-5, European Starling-14, House Finch-14, Eastern Towhee-1, Red-winged Blackbird-1000, Brown-headed Cowbird-500, Common Grackle-50, Tennessee Warbler-1, Magnolia Warbler-3, Palm Warbler-1, Yellow-rumped Warbler-1, Northern Cardinal-2, Rose-breasted Grosbeak-4

Damien Simbeck
Killen, AL

Back to top
Date: 10/11/18 7:04 pm
From: Ken Hare <kmhare46...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] The Shell Mounds alive with birds
The AOS meeting doesn’t officially start until 7 am Friday, but I’m already seeing lots of good birds. Below is today’s list from the Shell Mounds. Others saw Canada and Kentucky warblers. A good afternoon, considering I didn’t get to Dauphin Island until 3:30.

3 Yellow-billed Cuckoo
2 Eastern Wood-Pewee
2 Red-eyed Vireo
2 Black-and-white Warbler
2 Tennessee Warbler
1 Common Yellowthroat
1 Hooded Warbler
2 American Redstart
2 Magnolia Warbler
1 Black-throated Blue Warbler -- Female with wing chevron
2 Summer Tanager
3 Carolina Wren

Sent from my iPhone

Date: 10/11/18 10:24 am
From: 'Lucy and Bob Duncan' <robertaduncan...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Update on today's migrants
Hi all,

My post this a.m. was premature, more birds are in the "hood" now, 14
Neotropical migrants, good numbers of Palms and Common Yellothroats. Whether
they are just coming in or were in another part of the "hood" early this
a.m. is a good question, but I'm not complaining!

Bob Duncan

Back to top
Date: 10/10/18 8:47 pm
From: ANNE G MILLER <amiller_1...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Fall AOS Meeting

Date: 10/10/18 8:38 pm
From: Andrew Haffenden <andrew...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: RE: [ALBIRDS] Birding prospects
Thanks Bob, it's a crap shoot right now with DI more northerly banked birds setting down here for a final feed or are they south of Montgomery and waiting for a straight shot from there across the Gulf? And will Sunday's trending more Easterly in the Gulf but northerly on the mainlsnd get them down here then bottle them up? But regardless, for those who want to see birds other than flitterbirds, an hour and a half on radically changed Pelican this evening revealed well over a thousand  birds, of some 30 species,  mostly  effectively stationary allowing 10-15 minute plus persusal of the groups in good light, at eye level, no leaves in the way etc. A thousand birds in the Shell Mounds in 90 minutes all easily seen in good light and studied, photographed etc at leisure! Pretty much unheard of! Species on the beach included Great Blue Heron, Reddish Egret, Great Egret, Caspian Tern, Royal Tern, Sandwich Tern, Forster'sTern and Common Tern, Black Skimmer,  Herring, Ring-billed and Laughing Gull, Western Willet, Short-billed Dowitcher, Red Knot, Sanderling, Dunlin, Western Sandpiper, Least Sandpiper, Black-bellied Plover, Semipalmated Plover, Piping Plover and Snowy Plover. Plus pelicans and Ospreys, and some generic passerines. And I'm sure I've omitted a few.

Cheers,

Andrew Haffenden

Date: 10/9/18 10:15 am
From: <TNbarredowl...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] This week's bird walk
Due to likelihood of rain Thursday, and my work schedule conflicts, this week's bird walk will be Friday. We will meet at 6:30 at the Wilson Dam Visitor Center parking lot. The weather man is actually predicting cooler temperatures, finally. Hopefully, this will be a nice morning birding up north for those of us who can't make it to Dauphin Island this weekend.

Damien Simbeck
Killen AL

Sent from my smart phone. You can teach an old dog new tricks.

Back to top
Date: 10/8/18 6:46 pm
From: Jud Johnston <rivendell...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [ALBIRDS] Mute Swans
Where is Lake Ballard?   Have not seen a previous report. Thanks,

Jud Johnston

Waynesboro, TN

Date: 10/8/18 6:36 pm
From: 'Lucy and Bob Duncan' <robertaduncan...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Michael's impact on birding
Hi all,

Michael's track should put landfall east of the Alabama coast and by
Thursday night winds should be NW 15 - 20 and N 13 - 18 Friday night with
clearing skies and cooler, drier air moving in, perfect for the Dauphin
Island AOS meeting! Birds have been delayed moving south this fall,
according to reports I have heard from up north, and lots of Neotropical
migrants should be on the move. With good tail winds they may pass right
over the coast, but some usually put down. Birding can't be any worse than
it has been most of this season here along the coast. Lucy and I went to D.
I. last Sat. and had ONE Redstart, the only warbler.

This storm should not be a problem for the meeting as winds will be north
and high tides and rain should be minimal for D. I. But that is only my
guess. Over this way in the Pensacola area we could have some problems with
high winds and if the electricity goes out, this may be my last posting for
a while. At any rate, birding in a hurricane can be interesting, as we have
learned from prior experience. But at the moment, Lucy and I can do without
the experience! (amen to that! Lucy)

Bob Duncan

Gulf Breeze

PS - A portend of things to come? A Vermilion Flycatcher and a Clay-colored
Sparrow were photographed at Ft Pickens today.

Back to top
Date: 10/8/18 12:50 pm
From: <deechancey...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Mute Swans
I know many folks do not report the mute swans but the 17 reported yesterday are still present on Lake Ballard.

Back to top
Date: 10/6/18 5:35 pm
From: Ken Hare <kmhare46...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Re: Still time to register to hear expert speakers, field trips at AOS meeting on Dauphin Island

Date: 10/6/18 2:10 pm
From: 'Duncan, Scot' <sduncan...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Ruffner Report Oct 6 2018
Hi everyone,

Its the height of fall migration, yet our temperatures are like early June. Uggh! Nevertheless, migrants are out there in good numbers. Clear skies and little to no winds these past few nights have been enough to lure restless birds southward at dusk.

Ruffners wetlands were busy today in the predawn hours. Several Acadians signaled their explosive predawn calls (if only the other empids were as vocal!) I heard many thrushes calling out in the twilight on the way to the wetlands. Mostly Wood and Swainsons, with a few Gray-cheeked chiming in. I could discern no Veeries. I heard over a dozen thrushes, but never saw a single one the whole morning. So shy, they are! A Red-breasted Nuthatch, one of two for the day, gave lazy ank calls by the gas house on the pipeline road.

Just before the wetlands I got bird-locked in a small clearing along the road.
A flock of warblers and parids were zipping about in the canopy. Most the warblers were Tennessees - which can be very challenging to identify in the half-light. I caught a glimpse of a possible Bay-breasted Warbler just before the suspect flew away not enough of a look to be certain, especially for what would be a first of year sighting for me.

Indigo Buntings kept the roads in and out of the wetlands lively all morning. Rose-breasted Grosbeaks were similarly abundant. Warblers were present in low numbers. A Redstart here. A Black-and-white there. Only nine warbler species in total. Tennessees were the most abundant, following each other in small groups, and mostly picking off miniscule saprophytic bugs off the sugarberry trees. A Hooded Warbler chipped from deep in the privet jungle. Probably my last for the year given the late hour of the season. A Baltimore Oriole popped out to the forest edge for a few moments to eviscerate a muscadine too large to swallow. It lingered long enough for me to take some decent shots of it (posted on eBird).

Many year-round resident species are migrating now. Thrashers were everywhere and chasing each other with ferocity. I suspect a few were residents who were chasing off the swarm of post-breeding dispersal young that are spreading out and heading south for the winter. Blue Jays were migrating today as well. I saw several dozen working through the canopy, usually in loose flocks headed to the Southwest, following the mountain. A pair of high-flying Red-headed Woodpeckers seemed out of place high above in the blue..

Best bird was two Philadelphia Vireos feeding along Maggies Field, the clearing next to the wetlands pavilion. I later saw another by the wetlands, which could have been a third.

By 845 am it was already getting hot, and the birds were slowing down and foraging away from the edges in the deeper woods where temperatures are cooler. I dont know if they do this to regulate their own temperature, of if bugs are more available out of the direct sun. Its probably both.

About this time I was mostly recycling birds at the wetlands. So I hiked up the gravel road that goes up to one of the mine portals hoping for some diversity. I expected that there wouldnt be many migrants. The higher forest is drier and full of oaks and pines that dont offer nearly as much food for insectivores as the trees on the valley floor. I picked up a few resident species and a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - first winter Resident for the season for me at Ruffner (assuming the Red-breasted Nuthatches leave). But indeed, the forest were largely empty save for a few pewees, so I headed back down and out to the road, ending the morning with 51 species.

On the way I met Rick and Susan Remy who had been birding elsewhere early in the morning. Rick knows the birds of Ruffner better than anyone these days. He later texted me that they had an Ovenbird and another Philadelphia Vireo on their hike.

We still have several good weeks of birding, and most any attempt in your local patch will yield at least a handful of migrants. Should a front pass through, the morning following the first night of clear skies and northerly winds should bring a deluge of migrants. However, the forecast doesnt offer hope of a front anytime soon. A trough is moving eastward, which will bring clouds, the chance of rain, and southerly winds. Rain and clouds to the north will suppress migrants. Also, a tropical system is moving north from the southern Gulf. So, looks like Saturday-Sunday will be the best night for birds to migrate for the next few days.

Bird early and often,
Scot Duncan

Back to top
Date: 10/6/18 1:49 pm
From: Rodney Mccollum <rdny328...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] A good day of birding in Lee County

Hey fellow birders,
I had a pretty good day of birding at the Wood Duck Heritage Preserve in Opelika today.  I had 55 species in all including 13 warblers.  Best birds were Golden-winged, Blue-winged and Worm-eating Warblers.  There was also 9 Tennessee Warblers, House Wren and Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. My full ebird list below.
Good birdingRodney McCollum Lee CountyHide quoted text

On Sat, Oct 6, 2018, 3:17 PM <ebird-checklist...> wrote:

Wood Duck Heritage Preserve, Lee, Alabama, US
Oct 6, 2018 7:33 AM - 11:44 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.23 mile(s)
Comments:     Very active morning with lots of birds foraging and moving about.
55 species

Canada Goose  16     Counted one by one.
Wood Duck  3
Blue-winged Teal  1
Mourning Dove  2
Yellow-billed Cuckoo  2
Chimney Swift  5
Killdeer  2
Cooper's Hawk  1     Accipeter with large head long tail.
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
Belted Kingfisher  1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  7
Downy Woodpecker  3
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  3
Eastern Wood-Pewee  3
Acadian Flycatcher  1
Eastern Phoebe  4
White-eyed Vireo  11     Counted one by one. A familiar bird for me
Yellow-throated Vireo  2
Blue Jay  4
American Crow  4
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  4
Carolina Chickadee  7
Tufted Titmouse  3
Brown-headed Nuthatch  6
House Wren  1     Good looks. Positive ID.
Carolina Wren  8
Eastern Bluebird  3
Gray Catbird  2
Brown Thrasher  2
Northern Mockingbird  2
House Finch  2
American Goldfinch  4
Eastern Towhee  1
Red-winged Blackbird  4
Worm-eating Warbler  1     Easy ID, brown Olive Warbler with striped head
Golden-winged Warbler  2     1 adult male and 1 female or immature.
Blue-winged Warbler  1     Bright yellow underneath. Bluish wings. Wing bars. Yellow face with a faint eye line. Immature or female.
Black-and-white Warbler  1
Tennessee Warbler  9     Counted one by one.
Common Yellowthroat  3
Hooded Warbler  3
American Redstart  5
Northern Parula  3
Magnolia Warbler  5
Chestnut-sided Warbler  2
Pine Warbler  9
Black-throated Green Warbler  1
Summer Tanager  1
Scarlet Tanager  1
Northern Cardinal  10
Rose-breasted Grosbeak  1
Indigo Bunting  4

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48982783

Back to top
Date: 10/6/18 4:40 am
From: 'Damien J. Simbeck' <TNbarredowl...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Wheeler Boat Trip
I joined the Buffalo River TOS group yesterday aboard Nautical Wheeler for a trip around Wheeler Dam. Due to heavy barge traffic, we were not able to lock through the dam. We were able to cruise near the lock walls and get close looks at lots of gulls. Most (about 500) were Ring-billed. We also had two Herring, an adult Franklin's and three adult Lesser Black-backed. We then went across the river to the turbine gates and found a bunch of Great Egrets and four Snowy Egrets. As we were passing the gates, we flushed an adult Peregrine Falcon from the lower dam face. Only a brief look, but the pigeons roosting on the dam supports were not happy. We returned to the locks and looked through the spillway gaps at the birds below. We added American White Pelicans and a Black-crowned Night-Heron. We again flushed the falcon, but this time it landed on one of the bridge supports so we could get great looks as it enjoyed pigeon for dinner. We then headed up river a few miles and found scattered groups of gulls on the lake. These included mostly Ring-billed, but we found one group of twelve Herring Gulls and an immature Franklin's. Later, a large group of terns flew by. I counted 141 Forster's Tern (saw nothing that looked like a Common) and two Black Terms. We then enjoyed a beautiful sunset before returning to the marina.

Damien Simbeck
Killen AL

Date: 10/5/18 9:43 am
From: 'Damien J. Simbeck' <TNbarredowl...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Fall Bird Walk - Week 6
Two birders spent 2.25 hours in warm, muggy weather (AGAIN), but enjoyed good bird activity. We found 51 species, including 13 species of warblers. Next week's walk will probably be on Friday. I'll send a definite date early next week. Here's our list for today.

Damien Simbeck
Killen AL

Blue-winged Teal  3
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon)  1
Mourning Dove  5
Yellow-billed Cuckoo  1
Ring-billed Gull  14
Double-crested Cormorant  500
American White Pelican  48
Great Blue Heron  27
Great Egret  129
Cooper's Hawk  2
Red-headed Woodpecker  2
Red-bellied Woodpecker  5
Downy Woodpecker  2
Northern Flicker  1
White-eyed Vireo  4
Red-eyed Vireo  1
Blue Jay  33
American Crow  10
Fish Crow  1
Tree Swallow  1
Carolina Chickadee  5
Tufted Titmouse  6
House Wren  1
Carolina Wren  8
Eastern Bluebird  1
American Robin  1
Gray Catbird  3
Brown Thrasher  3
Northern Mockingbird  4
European Starling  20
House Finch  12
American Goldfinch  3
Red-winged Blackbird  33
Brown-headed Cowbird  30
Common Grackle  80
Ovenbird  1
Black-and-white Warbler  4
Tennessee Warbler  4
Orange-crowned Warbler  1
Common Yellowthroat  2
American Redstart  4
Northern Parula  1
Magnolia Warbler  7
Bay-breasted Warbler  2
Yellow Warbler  1
Palm Warbler  1
Yellow-throated Warbler  3
Black-throated Green Warbler  2
Northern Cardinal  13
Rose-breasted Grosbeak  7
Indigo Bunting  11

Date: 10/4/18 10:49 am
From: ANNE G MILLER <amiller_1...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] AOS Fall Meeting
Still time to register for expert speakers, field trips at AOS meeting on Dauphin Island

Registration is still open to hear two expert speakers and participate in four excellent field trips at the the Alabama Ornithological Society's fall meeting on Dauphin Island Oct. 12-14. Dr. Jared Wolfe, author and research ornithologist, will speak on “Equatorial Guinea: Exploration and Conservation in the Country Least Known to Science." Author Ken Wills will speak on "Exploring Wild Alabama,” about his book, co-authored with Larry Davenport, providing information about Alabama's publicly accessible wild spaces. Wolfe will lead a field trip to birding spots around Dauphin Island. In addition, AOS shorebird expert Andrew Haffenden will lead a trip along the island's coastline to highlight shorebirds as well as a trip to Fort Morgan in search of migrants. And Larry Gardella will lead a trip to Blakeley Island Mud Lakes in search of shorebirds, ducks and geese. The only requirement for joining AOS is an interest in birds and nature. The cost of membership and attending the society's three meetings each year -- two on Dauphin Island -- is modest. (Note: Venue for meetings has changed and is now the Dauphin Island Methodist Church fellowship hall.) For information, see: www.aosbirds.org <http://www.aosbirds.org/>
Anne G. Miller
980 Shades Crest Road
Hoover, AL 35226
205-902-1389

Back to top

Date: 9/29/18 5:52 pm
From: 'Lucy and Bob Duncan' <robertaduncan...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Today's trip
Hi all,

Lucy and I just returned from the "Great Circle Route" (Ft. Morgan to
Dauphin Is. to causeway) with dismal results, only 68 spp., lowest ever for
the route. Only 11 warblers for entire trip. Results from around the area
about the same, rather mediocre numbers of migrants. Once again Cornell is
predicting good movement through the area tonight. We'll see what we get at
Ft. Pickens tomorrow morning.

Bob Duncan

Back to top
Date: 9/29/18 4:58 pm
From: Patricia Hefner <patriciahefner2444...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [ALBIRDS] Big fall day in Homewood at the house
Send that warbler to Regency Retirement Village!Patricia In loving support of my canaries Sonja, Persephone and Irina

Date: 9/29/18 3:58 pm
From: <mikecarsonribbons...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>

Date: 9/29/18 2:17 pm
From: Bob Reed <bobreed1987...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Front
Yesterday we had at least 22 hummingbirds. Today we have 3.

Bob Reed
Colonel, US Army, Retired
Tallassee
334 207 0985 Mobile

Back to top
Date: 9/29/18 1:34 pm
From: Lorna West <jjoal...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Migrant
Greetings, a first year male Rose Breasted Grosbeak at the feeder in Opelika this afternoon. Good birding. Lorna West

Sent from my iPhone

Date: 9/27/18 9:17 am
From: <TNbarredowl...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Wheeler Locks
I just stopped at Wheeler Dam to scope the gulls on the lock wall. I found 5 species of gulls and 4 terns. Present were 324 Ring-billed, 2 Herring, 4 Lesser Black-backed, 1 Laughing and 1 Franklin's Gull, 17 Caspian, 7 Forster's, 1 Common and 3 Black Terns. The non-Caspian Terns were feeding with some cormorants on the reservoir.

Date: 9/27/18 8:13 am
From: <deechancey...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] American White Pelican
A white pelican was seen at Lake Purdy again this am.
Also a large number of blue-winged teal and several

pectoral sandpipers.

Back to top
Date: 9/27/18 7:13 am
From: 'Simbeck, Damien J' <djsimbeck...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Fall Bird Walks, Week 5
Ah, fall, finally. Well, at least that was true for the birds. Two birders spent 1.75 hours at Upper Rockpile Trail this morning in 70 degree air and near 100% humidity. A cold front has been hovering over the area this week, triggering lots of thunderstorms. Some areas have received daily rain totals over 4 inches and more than 8 inches for the week. The front finally pushed through northwest Alabama yesterday afternoon...but then turned around and pushed back north as a warm front last night. Based on this morning's results, the unsettled weather was enough to ground some migrants. We found 8 species of warblers (lots of Magnolias) and 3 species of thrushes. Catbirds were everywhere (the 14 reported was a VERY conservative count). The numbers below are the birds we could identify. We had several flocks, particularly early in the morning, where we left many birds unidentified (probably 20-30 individuals). By far, the highlight of the morning was a beautiful and very cooperative male Golden-winged Warbler. It and the Canada we observed are usually late August/early September migrants here. Maybe they wanted to wait until things started cooling off before heading south.

Next week's walk will be on Friday. We will again meet at 6:30.

Mourning Dove-3, Chimney Swift-26, Ruby-throated Hummingbird-2, Great Egret-62, Red-bellied Woodpecker-4, White-eyed Vireo-3, Blue Jay-3, American Crow-11, Carolina Chickadee-3, Tufted Titmouse-2, Carolina Wren-7, Veery-1, Gray-cheeked Thrush-1, Swainson's Thrush-5, Gray Catbird-14, Brown Thrasher-2, Northern Mockingbird-2, European Starling-8, House Finch-5, Red-winged Blackbird-36, Brown-headed Cowbird-15, Ovenbird-1, Golden-winged Warbler-1, Black-and-White Warbler-1, Tennessee Warbler-7, Common Yellowthroat-2, American Redstart-5, Magnolia Warbler-18, Canada Warbler-1, Summer Tanager-3, Northern Cardinal-16, Rose-breasted Grosbeak-2, Indigo Bunting-3

Damien Simbeck
Killen, AL

Back to top
Date: 9/26/18 8:47 am
From: 'Gregory J. Harber' <gharber...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [ALBIRDS] American White Pelican at Lake Purdy
Thanks for posting this, Dana. My friend Roopa Nash texted me early this morning with a photograph of the bird but was I in the midst of upgrading my computer's OS and couldn't get the word out. Good find, let's hope it stays for Saturday's Birmingham Audubon Fall Bird Count!

Take care all, Greg

Date: 9/23/18 7:00 pm
From: <gm72125...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Bananas for Migrant Hummingbirds
Birders, please consider setting out a ripe banana or cantaloupe to help our migrating hummingbirds. Fruit flies find the rotting fruit almost immediately, and proliferate, providing much-needed fat and protein for the hummingbirds. Sugar water can only get them so far, and they need the insects to build fat reserves. I've been amazed at the action in my own yard. I put the rotten fruit in an old cracked birdbath that won't hold water, near some hummingbird feeders. I crack open the canteloupes, and remove one peel from the banana. I add a banana ever 2-3 days. I'm still getting rather high numbers of hummingbirds. I'm guessing 20-30 today. Any vegetable debris like apple cores, tomato bits, etc. can all go into the fruit fly feeder. I put mine at the far back property line, where there is still plenty of hummingbird activity. Thanks for helping out the migrating birds. -Ken Archambault, Homewood

Back to top
Date: 9/22/18 7:42 pm
From: 'Damien J. Simbeck' <TNbarredowl...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Church and Walker Ponds, post thunderstorms
I was traveling near Central this evening during extremely heavy thunderstorms. The rain ended by the time I approached Florence, so I made a late day stop at Church Pond. I don't know how much rain fell, but water was gushing into both Walker and Church Ponds. Church Pond was once again full and Walker Pond had water in the west portion (flooded soybeans). No rare birds were grounded, but Canada Geese were everywhere and flying in. I counted 284. Two white birds were seen flying with one flock. When they landed, my thoughts of early Snow Geese were changed to domestic geese. Also present were 64 Blue-winged Teal. The only shorebirds seen were Killdeer. It will be interesting to see how full the ponds will be after all the runoff has settled in.

Damien Simbeck
Killen AL