ALBirds
Received From Subject
7/20/24 8:47 am <swmavocet...> via groups.io <swmavocet...> [ALbirds] Many (!) checklist changes published by ABA and AOS (the other one)
7/8/24 11:43 am Jim Holmes via groups.io <jfholmes...> [ALbirds] Gray Kingbird Autauga County
7/6/24 6:54 pm Damien J. Simbeck via groups.io <tnbarredowl...> [ALbirds] White Ibis, Tricolored Hreon in Northwest Alabama (and an interesting hybrid heron)

Back to top
Date: 7/20/24 8:47 am
From: <swmavocet...> via groups.io <swmavocet...>
Subject: [ALbirds] Many (!) checklist changes published by ABA and AOS (the other one)
AL-Birders,
If you keep track of such things, there's quite a long list of changes published this week to absorb from the American Ornithological Society and the ABA.
http://www.aba.org/aba-checklist-committee-report-july-2024/

www.aba.org/aos-supplement-2024/

Highlights:
- The 2023 Gray Gull found in the FL panhandle was accepted by to the ABA checklist along with the Yellow-headed Caracara still located in south FL.
- 35 "provisional" exotic species are now acceptable to report on the ABA checklist

- 20 exotic species not considered 'naturalized' yet but that may be one day
- 15 species of questionable origin including those only known to have arrived on ships

- Five exotic species present on the ABA checklist for a time but removed when their populations disappeared, are now acceptable to put on your checklist again if you observed them in the location they were accepted at the time.
- The three redpolls were lumped into one species.
- Barn Owl, Gull-billed Tern, Cattle Egret, Cory's and Audubon's Shearwater, Brown Booby, House Wren, American Pipit, etc. are split into multiple species.  I don't think any of these splits create new checklist tick boxes for Alabama but, with the door now opened and closer scrutiny, the potential is there.
- The new names for the Alabama species involved are now American Barn Owl, Northern House Wren , Western Cattle-Egret, and Sargasso Shearwater.  "Audubon's" was not retained for any of the five new small B&W shearwater names.
-----------------------------
Bird well,Steve McConnellHartselle, AL

Back to top
Date: 7/8/24 11:43 am
From: Jim Holmes via groups.io <jfholmes...>
Subject: [ALbirds] Gray Kingbird Autauga County
For those into county listing or too far from the coast, there is a Gray Kingbird reported yesterday. See eBird list for photos and details:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S185975192

Thanks,

Jim

James F. Holmes, MD, MPH
Professor and Executive Vice Chair
Department of Emergency Medicine
UC Davis School of Medicine
Office (916) 734-1533

**CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE** This e-mail communication and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain information that is confidential and privileged under state and federal privacy laws. If you received this e-mail in error, be aware that any unauthorized use, disclosure, copying, or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy/delete all copies of this message.

Back to top
Date: 7/6/24 6:54 pm
From: Damien J. Simbeck via groups.io <tnbarredowl...>
Subject: [ALbirds] White Ibis, Tricolored Hreon in Northwest Alabama (and an interesting hybrid heron)
Regina is finally feeling well enough post-surgery to venture out a bit. While we were out this afternoon,  we made stops at The Sinks and Hamilton Pond. Several folks have been reporting a Wurdemann's Heron at The Sinks. Looking at photos,  I'm leaning towards Great Blue X Great Egret hybrid.  I wanted to see it first hand to get a good impression of overall size, bill size and shape and Egret plumes on its back, visible in the photos. Unfortunately,  it couldn't be found during our visit. (NOTE: This may be the same individual reported as a Wurdemann's Heron for several years now at The Sinks and Wheeler NWR...similar plumage patterns).  I did get a nice view of a Barn Owl flying over the fields behind the barns at the south pond.
Hamilton Pond was very low and almost solid white. I counted 232 Great Egrets,  but probably missed a bunch too. Also present were a few Great Blue Herons, and 15 Little Blue Herons. In the mix, I noticed 2 immature White Ibis feeding in the grass zone behind the other waders. Before I left, I made one last scan through the Great Egrets and picked up a Tricolored Heron. It was even cooperative enough to raise its wings as i was snapping a photo so i got a blurry image of white belly and underwing. Two Green Herons flew overhead before i left to round out my wader list. Waterfowl included a small group of Wood Ducks, several Mallards in eclipse plumage and an adult Black-bellied Whistling-Duck with 4 fairly old babies.
Damien Simbeck
Killen AL

Sent from my (non-Apple) phone. You can teach an old dog new tricks!