GABO-L
Received From Subject
5/25/22 9:27 am robert emond <robert.emond2015...> [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 24 May 22
5/24/22 2:34 pm Victor Carpenter <viccarp5...> [GABO-L] MIKIs
5/24/22 11:57 am robert emond <robert.emond2015...> [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 23 May 22
5/22/22 12:11 pm Carol Reap <calgalcrr...> [GABO-L] MS Kite (MIKI) unknown behavior
5/21/22 10:39 pm Mark McShane <mcshanebirder...> [GABO-L] Red Crossbills Continue - Brasstown Bald, Union and Towns Counties - 5/21/2022
5/21/22 12:40 pm Yve Morrell <yvemorrell...> [GABO-L] Snowy Plover
5/20/22 4:05 pm robert emond <robert.emond2015...> [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 19 May 22
5/18/22 11:51 am robert emond <robert.emond2015...> [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 17 May 22
5/16/22 6:58 am robert emond <robert.emond2015...> [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 15 May 22
5/15/22 11:04 am MaryAnn Teal <mat425...> [GABO-L] Sick catbird
5/13/22 7:23 pm Diana Churchill <dichurch...> [GABO-L] Wilson’s Storm Petrel Tybee North Beach
5/13/22 6:50 pm robert emond <robert.emond2015...> [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 12 May 22
5/13/22 4:57 pm Milton Hobbs <thegahobbs6...> [GABO-L] Unfortunate Burke County news
5/12/22 12:19 pm Terry Miller <terry-miller...> [GABO-L] Gwinnett County - Dunlin
5/12/22 8:40 am Yve Morrell <yvemorrell...> [GABO-L] Wilson’s Storm-Petrel
5/11/22 12:05 pm Theresa Hartz <jthartz50...> [GABO-L] Ga mountain birds
5/9/22 5:37 pm robert emond <robert.emond2015...> [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert
5/5/22 7:45 am robert emond <robert.emond2015...> [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert
5/4/22 6:05 pm Jason B <jlbaumga...> [GABO-L] Black-bellied whistling ducks at Lullwater
5/4/22 4:31 am robert emond <robert.emond2015...> [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 3 May 22
5/3/22 5:59 am Suzanne Zuckerman <georgiabirdnerd63...> [GABO-L] Black-billed Cuckoo, Fannin County
5/1/22 8:23 pm ldtp <ldtp...> [GABO-L] Limpkin Continues at Lake Blalock, Henry County
5/1/22 1:28 pm jay Pitocchelli <jpitocch...> [GABO-L] Request for assistance – song recordings of migrating Mourning Warblers
4/30/22 6:24 pm Joshua Spence <spencejoshua...> [GABO-L] Bobolink - Chattooga County
4/29/22 9:55 am robert emond <robert.emond2015...> [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 28 Apr 22
4/28/22 4:40 pm Jack Wissner <jdwissner...> [GABO-L] Catbirds!!
4/28/22 12:58 pm ldtp <ldtp...> [GABO-L] Came for the Warblers, Stayed for the Sex (Fayette County)
4/28/22 6:02 am robert emond <robert.emond2015...> [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert
4/27/22 11:12 am Marlene Koslowsky <000006d228557fef-dmarc-request...> [GABO-L] Mississippi Kites in Fayette County
4/26/22 4:52 pm Darryl Konter <konter...> [GABO-L] Rose-breasted Grosbeak
4/26/22 3:56 pm James F. Flynn Jr. <jim.flynn...> [GABO-L] Willets, Buford Dam, Gwinnett Co.
4/26/22 6:47 am robert emond <robert.emond2015...> [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 25 Apr 22

Back to top
Date: 5/25/22 9:27 am
From: robert emond <robert.emond2015...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 24 May 22
Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

> From: <ebird-alert...>
> Date: May 25, 2022 at 2:37:50 AM EDT
> To: <robert.emond2015...>
> Subject: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert <daily>
>
> *** Species Summary:
>
> Snowy Plover (1 Glynn)
> White-rumped Sandpiper (1 Bartow)
> Semipalmated Sandpiper (1 Fulton)
> Lesser Yellowlegs (1 Bartow)
> Lesser Black-backed Gull (2 Chatham, 1 Glynn)
> Glaucous Gull (1 Chatham, 1 Glynn)
> Glossy Ibis (1 Decatur)
> Golden Eagle (1 Laurens)
> Scissor-tailed Flycatcher (1 Burke)
> Winter Wren (1 Union)
> Cedar Waxwing (1 Clinch)
> Purple Finch (1 Oconee)
> Red Crossbill (1 Union)
> Song Sparrow (2 Bibb)
> Northern Waterthrush (1 Charlton)
> Black-and-white Warbler (1 Laurens)
> Palm Warbler (1 Greene)

> NOTE: all sightings are UNCONFIRMED unless indicated.
>
> eBird encourages our users to bird safely, responsibly, and mindfully. Please follow the recommendations of your local health authorities and respect any active travel restrictions in your area. For more information visit: https://ebird.org/news/please-bird-mindfully

Robert Emond
Lowndes

Send regular postings to <gabo-l...>

Back to top
Date: 5/24/22 2:34 pm
From: Victor Carpenter <viccarp5...>
Subject: [GABO-L] MIKIs
Carol Reap’s posting about MIKIs was very informative. I live on the
eastern edge of Wilmington Island, and usually see them regularly in the
summer. I saw my first yesterday when one sailed overhead. They must be
nesting on Wilmington or Whitemarsh Island.

Last week there was an Orchard Oriole singing every day in a tree next to
our condo.

Vic Carpenter

Savannah, GA

Date: 5/24/22 11:57 am
From: robert emond <robert.emond2015...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 23 May 22
Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

Date: 5/22/22 12:11 pm
From: Carol Reap <calgalcrr...>
Subject: [GABO-L] MS Kite (MIKI) unknown behavior
This is at least the 4th year a pair of MIKIs has visited, and nested in, our neighborhood. Their presence has been thrilling, and observing their in-flight rituals wonderful. Three weeks ago I even witnessed them copulating in the top bare branches of their favorite 80ft tree behind the houses across from us.
—As usual, after mating the pair “disappeared,” presumably to nest and raise young, but I’ve kept an eye out for them. Daily since Fri May 21, a MIKI (seemingly the same one each day) has been perched on the favored spot before 7am, where it remained for over two hours daily. I’ve watched all I could, checking periodically, although I’ve missed its departure each day. I have good binocs (but no scope) so could see pretty well, and this definitely seemed to be an adult. What I witnessed was continual grooming with its beak in all reachable parts of its body, interspersed with scratching, fanning of its tail or wing feathers (almost as if trying to unstick them), or stretching it’s arched neck. The first day the bird was obsessive in its behavior, and in disarray, although by today that had moderated. I have no idea what this was about. Perhaps molting, although I never saw a sign of feathers floating away. The behavior and daily length of time there have both amazed and concerned me. There has not been a sign of a mate or young if this is in fact one of the breeding pair.
—I would appreciate any comments to enlighten me. Thank you.

Carol Reap
Athens GA
(West side just off Timothy Road)

Sent from my iPhone

Date: 5/21/22 10:39 pm
From: Mark McShane <mcshanebirder...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Red Crossbills Continue - Brasstown Bald, Union and Towns Counties - 5/21/2022
Hi All,

Hoping to beat the onset of the Georgia summer Piedmont birding doldrums, and in the pursuit of a life bird, Mike Postell and I caravanned up from Gwinnett County to Brasstown Bald super early Saturday morning arriving there at about 7:00 to hopefully find the little RED CROSSBILL flock first found and reported by Pam Vercellone-Smith on Friday... and we were not disappointed!

Mike first picked up the birds calling at about 7:16 in the westernmost large and tall fir tree there at 34.8680439, -83.8107494, presumably the same small flock Pam had seen on 5/20 at presumably the same location at the edge of the southern end and Union County side (southwest corner) of the large Brasstown Bald Visitor Information Center ridgetop parking lot.

The flock was there only in the same tree until 7:42 when all 6 birds departed the tree together and flew west the 25 yards or so to quickly drop and disappear over and down the mountainside slope. We did not see this flock again while we were there. Later though, along with about a dozen folks who arrived on a 2022 GOS Spring Meeting field trip, we did hear 3 Red Crossbills at the Towns County southeast corner of the same parking lot.

We were mostly in blowing and sometimes fairly dense cloud base there while the flock was present making the obtaining of handheld phonescoped video footage more difficult (but certainly not impossible) in the lower light through the fog.

Pretty cool that we were able to see these birds here this morning for Mike's Life Red Crossbills, and it's always so cool to be able to see them away from a north Georgia mountain feeder out in a totally wild setting! Doldrums averted (a least for a while)!

The eBird checklist:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S110919813

Thanks so much to Pam!

Good Birding All!

Mark

Mark McShane
Lawrenceville, Gwinnett County, Georgia

Date: 5/21/22 12:40 pm
From: Yve Morrell <yvemorrell...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Snowy Plover
Right before a storm at 3 p.m. I found a breeding adult Snowy Plover at
Massengale Beach on St. Simon’s Island in Glynn County!
I am very excited about this one. I have spent countless days looking.
This beach with its widening runnel is bringing in a lot of good birds.
Cheers!
Yve Morrell

Date: 5/20/22 4:05 pm
From: robert emond <robert.emond2015...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 19 May 22
Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

Date: 5/18/22 11:51 am
From: robert emond <robert.emond2015...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 17 May 22
Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

Date: 5/16/22 6:58 am
From: robert emond <robert.emond2015...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 15 May 22
Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

Date: 5/15/22 11:04 am
From: MaryAnn Teal <mat425...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Sick catbird
panting and closing it's eyes. It disappeared when I went in for a net but
I will try to catch it and try to find a rehabber. Meanwhile much as I hate
it due to all the nesting in our yard, I'll be taking in the feeders.

Date: 5/13/22 7:23 pm
From: Diana Churchill <dichurch...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Wilson’s Storm Petrel Tybee North Beach
When a group of us arrived at Tybee North Beach this evening about 6:20 for a shorebird survey, we spotted a Wilson’s Storm Petrel flying very close to shore around a flock of laughing gulls: it circled near the gulls repeatedly before heading offshore.
Later, we saw it again flying above land where the royal terns and skimmers were roosting on the upper beach. Again it circled above the birds before heading back over the water.
Diana Churchill

Sent from my iPhone

Date: 5/13/22 6:50 pm
From: robert emond <robert.emond2015...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 12 May 22
Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

Date: 5/13/22 4:57 pm
From: Milton Hobbs <thegahobbs6...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Unfortunate Burke County news
Dear Georgia Birders,
Unfortunate Burke County news: Ebird hotspot Turkey Pond, along with the
surrounding farmland, is under new ownership and birders are no longer
welcome. A gentleman stopped me today to let me know I was trespassing. We
spoke for a bit. He was gracious, but said they do not want birders on the
property. He said they were going to put up fences along the road. Birding
from the road would still be an option, but not as satisfactory. I stopped
at the residence of the previous owners and a family member confirmed that
the property had been sold.
A birding friend suggested that we reach out to the new owner and offer to
pay for access. That could be a workable solution. Although, understandably,
they may still want to close it during waterfowl season which could be parts
of September through January. Suggestions welcome.
Milton Hobbs
Burke County

Date: 5/12/22 12:19 pm
From: Terry Miller <terry-miller...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Gwinnett County - Dunlin
I found a Dunlin this morning at George Pierce Park in Gwinnett County
at about 8:20 AM. Several Gwinnett birders were able to come out and
see the bird. The bird was still reported present at noon.There could
be some old paper records out there but this is the first eBird record
for the county.
https://ebird.org/checklist/S109777795
Terry MillerGwinnet County

Date: 5/12/22 8:40 am
From: Yve Morrell <yvemorrell...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Wilson’s Storm-Petrel
I just found a Wilson’s Storm-Petrel from the St. Simon’s Island
lighthouse, close to shore. Last seen heading towards the King and Prince
hotel.
Yve Morrell
Glynn County, GA

Date: 5/11/22 12:05 pm
From: Theresa Hartz <jthartz50...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Ga mountain birds
I led the Bird Fest Warbler Weekend in the Ga mountains this past weekend
and we had some finds that I thought folks might be interested in.
We had a singing Brown Creeper at the beginning of Burrells Ford Road.
That area is now in succession appearing to have been burned. There is
also singing Prairie Warblers which is sometimes hard to come by in the
mountains.
We also had a singing Cerulean Warbler at 4.4 miles on Ivy Log Gap Road
(coming in from Bradley Rd near Blairsville).
It might be interesting to see if those birds continue and are on territory
and perhaps successfully breeding at those locations.
Since I'm down in FL now, I will leave it to you guys to follow up!
Theresa Hartz
Amelia Island

Date: 5/9/22 5:37 pm
From: robert emond <robert.emond2015...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert
Date: 5/5/22 7:45 am
From: robert emond <robert.emond2015...>
Date: 5/4/22 6:05 pm
From: Jason B <jlbaumga...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Black-bellied whistling ducks at Lullwater
Dear GABO,

This evening I observed a flock of 17 black-bellied whistling ducks on the
lake at Lullwater Park in Dekalb County. I also got decent iPhone video
footage of them. I was kind of stunned when I saw them, because this is a
life bird for me - the first I've gotten at home in Georgia in years.
Despite being a former duck hunter growing up in Tennessee, I don't think I
ever actually saw this species.

Jason Baumgardner

North Druid Hills

Date: 5/4/22 4:31 am
From: robert emond <robert.emond2015...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 3 May 22
Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

Date: 5/3/22 5:59 am
From: Suzanne Zuckerman <georgiabirdnerd63...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Black-billed Cuckoo, Fannin County
Good morning!
After much discussion with fellow birders as well as observation and
discussion in the field! Looks like I found a Black-billed Cuckoo yesterday
afternoon 5/2/22 on River Rd, Fannin County! Went back in the evening and
it was still present! On my way this am to see if still there! I have
attached my ebird list below with photos! Very long tail with distinct
small white tips, and black bill!

https://ebird.org/checklist/S108736970

Will let all know if bird still present this am!

Thank you!

Suzanne Zuckerman
Fannin County

Date: 5/1/22 8:23 pm
From: ldtp <ldtp...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Limpkin Continues at Lake Blalock, Henry County
The Limpkin first sighted on a Georgia Birdfest field trip on April 23 at Lake Blalock (limited access) is continuing there. I saw it April 30 on the wooded island near the west boat ramp.
If you're not familiar with the site, it's in Henry County but operated by the *Clayton* County Water Authority. Go to their website (community/recreation/fishing) for information on day passes, dates, and hours.
Liz Hornsby, Peachtree City, Fayette County

Date: 5/1/22 1:28 pm
From: jay Pitocchelli <jpitocch...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Request for assistance – song recordings of migrating Mourning Warblers
I am once again writing to request your help and record Mourning Warbler songs from spring migrants. It is year 8 of my research using birdsong to study migratory connectivity of Mourning Warbler song populations. Here is a link to the latest map with previous years’ results based on recordings from over 150 birders.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?hl=en&mid=1voXjBhvHZ0nwAv93_OBC_vCPuxQ&<ll...>%2C-85.09712735&z=5

There is also a link to a spring 2017 National Audubon Society story on this research.

Audubon Society reporting
http://www.audubon.org/magazine/spring-2017/this-guy-mapping-how-warblers-migrate-just

These preliminary results continue to suggest moderate to low connectivity during migration with Western breeders separating from the rest of the other song populations. Eastern, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland song populations travel together along the Appalachian Mountains at least into Maine with some birds heading to the Atlantic Coast beginning in Maryland, Delaware and New Jersey.

All you need is a smartphone with a voice recording app and some luck. Videos with recordings are also helpful. The web page link below describes the project and how to make recordings on your Smartphone in more detail. Please send song recordings to the Mourning Warbler Sound Lab (jpitocch AT anselm.edu).

https://mowasongmapper.weebly.com/

I would really appreciate your help and contributions this year to this Citizens Science Project.

Dr. Jay Pitocchelli
Professor Emeritus, Biology Department
Saint Anselm College
Manchester, NH 03102

Date: 4/30/22 6:24 pm
From: Joshua Spence <spencejoshua...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Bobolink - Chattooga County
Yesterday, my son and I spent a few hours in northeast Chattooga County. I submitted six checklists to ebird. I've included a link to the trip report. I mainly wanted to share the BOBOLINKS along Gore Subligna Rd. There's a marshy pond at (34.496, -85.248) where I was checking for ducks/shorebirds, when a group of six BOBOs came flying over from one of the many hayfields along this road. Not surprising, but this does appear to be the first ebird entry for this species in Chattooga. I'm sure that there's historical records for the county, but just in case nearby county listers are interested I thought I'd share it.

https://ebird.org/tripreport/51130

Earlier, we birded the Dry Creek Equestrian Trailhead(and vicinity), which I've suggested as an ebird hotspot. There's some really nice landcover in that area that's worth checking out.

Other Chattooga significant birds:

New Monthly entries:
Northern Bobwhite

New entries for the last week in April:
Solitary Sandpiper
Yellow-throated Vireo
Ovenbird
Louisiana Waterthrush
Kentucky Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
Yellow-throated Warbler
Prairie Warbler

Joshua Spence,
Murray County

Date: 4/29/22 9:55 am
From: robert emond <robert.emond2015...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 28 Apr 22
Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

Date: 4/28/22 4:40 pm
From: Jack Wissner <jdwissner...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Catbirds!!
We see catbirds in our garden from time to time. They keep their distance.
They hang out on the third of four levels in our garden, well away from the
house.

The last few days all this has changed!! Two (maybe three) catbirds are
coming to the feeder on the deck next to the house. They have never been
seen on the deck. They have never been seen on our feeders. They are not
shy. They ate from the feeder just above us as we ate dinner this evening.

They are most welcome!!

Jack

Atlanta. Buckhead. Near Lenox Square
Jack Wissner
<jdwissner...>

Date: 4/28/22 12:58 pm
From: ldtp <ldtp...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Came for the Warblers, Stayed for the Sex (Fayette County)
I spent a couple of mornings at Nesmith Preserve in Peachtree City (Fayette Co.) on April 23 & 24. Was especially hoping for migrating warblers. Middling results on that, but I hit the jackpot for bird behavior and life stages.
As expected, I saw five pairs of Canada Geese. At least seven Great Blue Herons were at the rookery, some making trips to collect nesting material, and I counted at least five occupied nests. In addition, I heard a Catbird sing almost nonstop for over an hour. I watched pairs of Red-tailed Hawks and Red-shouldered Hawks in courtship/bonding flights. A pair of Phoebes perched beside each other on a branch, and out on the water a pair of Blue-winged Teal basked on a log. A pair of Orchard Orioles moved through shrubs together. Pairs of Common Yellowthroats and White-eyed Vireos foraged together. A second pair of Vireos copulated. A female Wood Duck appeared with her seven offspring.
But perhaps the highlight was watching a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher repeatedly dive-bombing a perched Red-shouldered Hawk. Those mites can be real badasses. (I was also lucky enough, once at Cochran Shoals, to see a Gnatcatcher throwing himself against the chest of a perched Barred Owl.)
Checklists on eBird.

Date: 4/28/22 6:02 am
From: robert emond <robert.emond2015...>
Date: 4/27/22 11:12 am
From: Marlene Koslowsky <000006d228557fef-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Mississippi Kites in Fayette County
Hey, All!
Mississippi kites have been spotted in Fayette County, both in Fayetteville and Peachtree City, as well as Brooks. If they settle in my neighborhood, it will be the 4th year in a row. I will let you know!
Happy Birding!
~Marlene Koslowsky
Fayette County

Date: 4/26/22 4:52 pm
From: Darryl Konter <konter...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Rose-breasted Grosbeak
A solitary female RBG was in my backyard this afternoon.  I normally have a couple of males and females during the migration, but the one I saw today is the first and only so far.
Darryl KonterDunwoody

Date: 4/26/22 3:56 pm
From: James F. Flynn Jr. <jim.flynn...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Willets, Buford Dam, Gwinnett Co.
Hi folks there are currently 10 Willets standing on the boom in front of Buford Dam, visible from either West Bank Park on the Forsyth County side or Lower Overlook Park on the Gwinnett side.

Take care,

Jim Flynn
Forsyth Co.

Date: 4/26/22 6:47 am