GABO-L
Received From Subject
7/17/18 11:00 pm Mark McShane <mcshanebirder...> [GABO-L] Swallow-tailed Kite Video Clips - Brantley County 7/17/2012
7/17/18 5:50 pm Pam Potter <ppotter...> [GABO-L] Waterthrush Bartow Co
7/17/18 9:30 am Milton Hobbs <thegahobbs6...> [GABO-L] Swallow-tailed Kites in northern Burke County
7/17/18 6:00 am robert emond <robert.emond2015...> [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 16 Jul 18
7/16/18 10:28 am Carol Lambert and/or Jeff Sewell <lambertsewell...> [GABO-L] Spotted Sandpiper, Little Blue Heron, Murphy Candler Park, DeKalb County, 7/16/18
7/16/18 7:53 am Marlene Koslowsky <000006d228557fef-dmarc-request...> [GABO-L] Little Blue Herons Lake Peachtree, Fayette County
7/14/18 10:08 pm Mark McShane <mcshanebirder...> [GABO-L] Cobb County White Hawk posted on Atlanta Audubon's public Facebook!
7/14/18 9:46 pm Mark McShane <mcshanebirder...> Re: [GABO-L] Long County Annual Mixed Kite Flocks, and Season and Sites Information - 2018 Edition with Awesome Update!
7/14/18 5:06 pm Wes Hatch <whatch11...> [GABO-L] Tricolored Heron Fulton County
7/14/18 1:22 pm Robert D. Sattelmeyer <rsattelm...> [GABO-L] Fall Shorebird Migration Picking up on Coast
7/14/18 7:55 am robert emond <robert.emond2015...> [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 13 Jul 18
7/13/18 4:34 pm Joy Carter <joy.carter52...> [GABO-L] McDaniel Branch Ponds- City of Atlanta
7/13/18 3:11 pm Louise Venne <lsvenne...> [GABO-L] Bartow County - Brandon Farm & Taff Rd
7/13/18 12:06 pm world oceans <world.oceans7...> [GABO-L] Sharpie in Clayton County
7/12/18 2:56 pm Eric Cormier <ericrcormier...> Re: [GABO-L] Lake Allatoona Laughing Gulls
7/11/18 11:31 pm robert emond <robert.emond2015...> [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 11Jul 18
7/11/18 6:11 pm Patricia Pepper <patriciapepper9...> [GABO-L] Scissor-tails
7/11/18 8:56 am John Mark Simmons <jmbirdingandphoto...> [GABO-L] Roseate Spoonbills Greene Co.
7/10/18 4:53 am charles saleeby <charlessaleeby...> [GABO-L] Lake Allatoona Laughing Gull
7/10/18 4:29 am robert emond <robert.emond2015...> [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 9 Jul 18
7/5/18 6:32 am robert emond <robert.emond2015...> [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 4 July 18
7/4/18 8:29 pm Mark McShane <mcshanebirder...> [GABO-L] Long County Annual Mixed Kite Flocks, and Season and Sites Information - 2018 Edition with Awesome Update!
7/4/18 11:42 am Carol Lambert and/or Jeff Sewell <lambertsewell...> [GABO-L] Roseate Spoonbills, Murphy Candler Park, DeKalb County, 6/29/18
7/4/18 4:42 am Drew Whitelegg <drewwhitelegg1...> Re: [GABO-L] Fish Crows versus American Crows ratio
7/3/18 3:41 pm Rick Sellers <rasel1521...> [GABO-L] SCTA at Cochran Shoals
7/3/18 1:46 pm Carol Lambert and/or Jeff Sewell <lambertsewell...> [GABO-L] Little Blue Heron, Murphy Candler Park, DeKalb County, 7/3/18
7/3/18 12:26 pm Chris O'Neal <chrisoneal2718...> Re: [GABO-L] Fish Crows versus American Crows ratio
7/3/18 11:53 am plm108 <plm108...> Re: [GABO-L] Fish Crows versus American Crows ratio
7/3/18 10:44 am world oceans <world.oceans7...> Re: [GABO-L] Fish Crows versus American Crows ratio
7/3/18 10:40 am Chris O'Neal <chrisoneal2718...> Re: [GABO-L] Fish Crows versus American Crows ratio
7/3/18 10:34 am Sandy Pangle <SPANGLE...> [GABO-L] Fish Crows versus American Crows ratio
7/3/18 8:44 am Beth Roth <bethheron...> [GABO-L] GUILTY AS CHARGED
7/3/18 6:03 am Sandy Pangle <SPANGLE...> [GABO-L] Northern Bobwhite Whitfield County
7/3/18 5:42 am robert emond <robert.emond2015...> [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 2 Jul 18
7/2/18 7:20 pm Mark McShane <mcshanebirder...> Re: [GABO-L] ADMIN - Re: KILLING FIRE ANTS WITH MEDINA ORANGE OIL MIXTURE...IT REALLY WORKS
7/2/18 6:20 am Carol Lambert and/or Jeff Sewell <lambertsewell...> [GABO-L] Rudddy Duck, Lake Shamrock, Clayton County; Dickcissels, Spalding County, both on 7/1/18
7/1/18 2:07 pm Richard Candler <candler86...> [GABO-L] June 2018 breeding bird report Coweta County
7/1/18 12:24 pm Tom Striker <tastriker...> [GABO-L] Late (or early?) Pine Siskin
7/1/18 7:29 am Mark McShane <mcshanebirder...> [GABO-L] ADMIN - Re: KILLING FIRE ANTS WITH MEDINA ORANGE OIL MIXTURE...IT REALLY WORKS
7/1/18 5:26 am Liz Horsey <erhorsey...> Re: [GABO-L] KILLING FIRE ANTS WITH MEDINA ORANGE OIL MIXTURE...IT REALLY WORKS
6/30/18 11:35 pm Beth Roth <bethheron...> [GABO-L] KILLING FIRE ANTS WITH MEDINA ORANGE OIL MIXTURE...IT REALLY WORKS
6/25/18 6:22 pm robert emond <robert.emond2015...> [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 24 Jun 18
6/25/18 12:33 pm peter fancher <pfanch...> [GABO-L] Osprey
6/24/18 5:07 pm Wes Hatch <whatch11...> [GABO-L] Arrowhead Environmental Education Center Floyd Co.
6/23/18 11:17 am Angelia Jenkins <angeliabeth...> [GABO-L] Noonday Creek Trail ~ AAS Trip Report / Cobb County
6/22/18 6:48 pm Joel Volpi <vvolpi...> [GABO-L] Ravens
6/22/18 6:26 pm robert emond <robert.emond2015...> [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 21 Jun 18
6/20/18 6:14 pm robert emond <robert.emond2015...> [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 19 Jun 18
6/20/18 1:32 pm Jennifer E Wolf <jenwolf...> [GABO-L] Mississippi Kite, Athens Clarke-County
6/20/18 7:06 am Ann Stewart <annhstewart...> [GABO-L] EAGLE PROGRAM
6/19/18 10:53 am Walt Chambers <chambersw...> [GABO-L] Bobolink, Least Tern in Muscogee Co. - 6/19
6/18/18 5:53 pm robert emond <robert.emond2015...> [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 17 Jun 18

Back to top
Date: 7/17/18 11:00 pm
From: Mark McShane <mcshanebirder...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Swallow-tailed Kite Video Clips - Brantley County 7/17/2012
Hi All,

Well since it's getting to be that time again I was remembering past Georgia July/August mixed kite flock sessions and realized that I hadn't added any footage of any kind to my 7/17/2012 Brantley County eBird checklist. So I dug up the footage and put three little video clips on Flickr and embedded the Flickr links in my checklist, and thought that some folks might enjoy them.

A good-sized group of Swallow-tailed Kites had congregated at this farm to forage that morning, and the birds had been showing up there for some days. That day many of the kites were concentrating over a certain spot of ground out in the field. It seemed that there were a lot of june bugs taking flight or flying around a distant rise in the field there which was probably at least 150 yards out from where we were standing observing from the road.

I locked the scope on the rise and shot some brief handheld phonescoped video through the heat haze and shimmer.

The little videos are very cool running at half speed in QuickTime on the computer (and they last twice as long), but I don't know yet how to get them to run at half speed on Flickr. Anyway, at full (real) speed they are pretty impressive at displaying a seriously in a hurry foraging Swallow-tailed Kite flock (and some seriously in a hurry june bugs), even if they do look a good bit impressionistic being shot through that strong heat shimmer.

Amazing how many of the birds are knifing through the small field of view, and how fast they are! I think this is the only time I've ever seen such fast concentrations over such a small piece of ground before and thought that was noteworthy.

---

The eBird checklist with the embedded Flickr links:
http://ebird.org/view/checklist/S33414617

Still working on getting that National Geographic-class video camera setup, but until then the little phone cameras soldier on with the up to 3750mm equivalent scope.

Enjoy and Good Birding All!

Mark

Mark McShane
Lawrenceville, Gwinnett County, Georgia
www.neargareport.com

Send regular postings to <gabo-l...>

Back to top
Date: 7/17/18 5:50 pm
From: Pam Potter <ppotter...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Waterthrush Bartow Co
About 8:30 pm this evening I was looking out of my back door when I saw a bird on the edge of the pond form my turtle lives in. I thought, at first, song sparrow but the beak was all wrong and it wasn't a short roundish bird. It had very distinctive white brows and a long bill with brown body & streaking on the chest & belly. The bird in the ID book looks to be the Louisiana Waterthrush since it does summer in GA. Wish I'd gotten a photo but didn't have a chance. This would have been a lifer.

Pam Potter

Date: 7/17/18 9:30 am
From: Milton Hobbs <thegahobbs6...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Swallow-tailed Kites in northern Burke County
Fellow Birders,
Seen about 11:30 near Hwy. 25 and Four Points Road. Located behind
Greenbranch Christian Faith Center on Milky Way Dairy property. Easily seen
from the church parking lot.
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47252978
Milton Hobbs
Burke County

Date: 7/17/18 6:00 am
From: robert emond <robert.emond2015...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 16 Jul 18
Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

> From: <ebird-alert...>
> Date: July 17, 2018 at 1:01:30 AM EDT
> Subject: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert <daily>
>
> *** Species Summary:
>
> Black-bellied Whistling-Duck (2 Macon)
> Plain Chachalaca (1 Glynn)
> Wood Stork (5 Greene)
> Little Blue Heron (1 Bartow)
> Tricolored Heron (1 Fulton)
> Cattle Egret (1 Bartow)
> Roseate Spoonbill (1 Dooly, 4 Greene)
> Swallow-tailed Kite (1 Troup)
> Sharp-shinned Hawk (1 Clayton)
> Broad-winged Hawk (1 Macon)
> Limpkin (1 Cook)
> Upland Sandpiper (1 Macon)
> Least Sandpiper (1 Dooly)
> Spotted Sandpiper (1 DeKalb, 4 Greene, 4 Morgan, 4 Walton)
> Greater Yellowlegs (1 Dooly)
> Lesser Yellowlegs (1 Dooly)
> Willow Flycatcher (4 Greene)
> Tree Swallow (4 Greene)
> Black-and-white Warbler (1 Decatur)
> Lark Sparrow (1 Taylor)
> Dickcissel (1 Carroll, 1 Coweta)

> NOTE: all sightings are UNCONFIRMED unless indicated
>
> Robert Emond
Lowndes

Date: 7/16/18 10:28 am
From: Carol Lambert and/or Jeff Sewell <lambertsewell...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Spotted Sandpiper, Little Blue Heron, Murphy Candler Park, DeKalb County, 7/16/18
 This morning:Spotted Sandpiper, an adult, I think, in non-breeding plumage. On the sandbar at the head of the lake, on the east side. This species was flagged in eBird, but I think a few arrive in our area about this time every year.
 Little Blue Heron, an immature, still here, also patrolling the sandbars, but if it is on the west side of the sandbars it may not be visible from the east side of the lake due to the vegetation on the sandbar.
And two Green Herons.
Jeff
Jeff Sewell & Carol LambertTucker, GA / DeKalb <Countylambertsewell...>

Date: 7/16/18 7:53 am
From: Marlene Koslowsky <000006d228557fef-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Little Blue Herons Lake Peachtree, Fayette County
Greetings All!
While fulfilling my personal goal of at least one eBird list a day this year, I was getting a bit bored this month.
Till I got a message from Michelle Hamner, telling me there were four juvenile little blue herons at Lake Peachtree yesterday. We don't get these often (my second time to see them in Fayette Co), and thankfully I was able to make it over, and they were still hanging around the still partially drained lake (will be refilled soon). I was also entertained by a green heron, which for me is always a delight.
List is here, with a few pics:https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47215181

Marlene KoslowskyFayetteville

Date: 7/14/18 10:08 pm
From: Mark McShane <mcshanebirder...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Cobb County White Hawk posted on Atlanta Audubon's public Facebook!
Hi All,

Gail Pfoh alerted me today of a Cobb County white hawk posted on the Atlanta Audubon Society's public Facebook page!

Interesting posts there with pics, video, and information from an expert in London at:

http://www.facebook.com/atlanta.audubon.society

Date: 7/14/18 9:46 pm
From: Mark McShane <mcshanebirder...>
Subject: Re: [GABO-L] Long County Annual Mixed Kite Flocks, and Season and Sites Information - 2018 Edition with Awesome Update!
Hi All,

I won't repost the entire original LONG Long County Annual Mixed Kite Flocks, etc., post that I posted on July 4th but would like to post an update a little less long.

I spoke with Gene Wilkinson of Glennville on July 5th to check on any possible kite updates out at the Skeens farm. Gene advised that he had seen several SWALLOW-TAILED KITES (STKIs) that week in the local area, but only together at the Skeens farm, and that there were a lot of dragonflies present at the site (all normal for early in July).

Large kite flocks at the site on a given day, or during a given week, during the later July/first half of August peak timeframe may also be dependent on when and how the local June Bug numbers and morning swarming is proceeding out at the farm during a given season.

Gene advised that it's entirely possible that the larger daily or weekly flocks may sometimes occur earlier in the peak timeframe, such as in late July rather than in the first half of August, which he thought might have been the case last year and could possibly be the case this year.

Gene will attempt to provide us with updates as possible for the rest of the Swallow-tailed Kite and Mississippi Kite season out on the Skeens farm and in the surrounding area.

So, it could possibly not be best just to wait until August to go to try to see good numbers of kites at the farm, the last week of July especially could be very awesome or best as well. We just don't know yet how this season at the farm will shake out June Bug-wise or kite numbers-wise.

Hopefully we'll be able to get some good weekly reports. If you go please post a report to GABO so that interested folks can benefit.

---

I had previously put up 3, for folks not already familiar, essential viewing annotated aerial photography maps of the area and the prime sites, I've updated these with some new information and removed the farm closed annotations on them, the new photo maps are available at the same location as the old ones:

http://app.box.com/s/vgt881jrws39nggzr6p7

1. Long County GA - Kite Flocking Areas.jpg
Overview of the main areas to watch kites, the Skeens Farm is traditionally the best site. This area is about 5 miles east of Glennville Georgia on Hwy 196.

2. Skeens Farm Area - Long County GA.jpg
Shows the approach road to the farm, the farm, and the main kite watching areas there.

3. Skeens Farm - Detail with Parking.jpg
Shows the farm entrance and possible best parking areas depending on conditions and farm operations. Shows where the kites may perch in the trees almost every morning and/or early afternoon on the farm proper.

Decimal Degrees (WGS84) coordinates and GPS coordinates are included on these JPG files, I would be familiar with them before you go. Input the coordinates into Google Maps exactly as they are, and you can view the pinpointed location on the screen, then you can do directions or zoom in and out to see how to get to the sites as needed. Turn the satellite imagery on as desired as well.

---

Regardless of what numbers show up this season during the peak projected (and very soon to arrive) timeframe, there will be kites of both species performing their amazing twisting turning and very aerial acrobatic dives down to grass-top level for their insect prey and then rising back up to dine on the wing in slow and level flight prior to diving back down for more out at the farm! Even watching one kite of each species doing this is worth the trip if you've never witnessed this spectacle before!

If anyone needs more information or any help with the directions please email or contact me.

---

SWALLOW-TAILED KITE at Cornell's All About Birds:

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Swallow-tailed_Kite/id

---

Here are links to some really amazing STKI photo collections (not just due to the numbers, but due to the great photographers there that day) from a great day in Long County back in August 2008:

David Cree's 16 August 2008 Swallow-tailed Kites Flickr gallery
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27397197@N06/albums/72157606836520621

-and-

Joel McNeal's PBase 16 August 2008 Swallow-tailed Kites gallery
http://www.pbase.com/joelmcneal/stki

---

There, that wasn't so long!

Good Kiting All!

Date: 7/14/18 5:06 pm
From: Wes Hatch <whatch11...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Tricolored Heron Fulton County
Hey All,

The Tricolored Heron seen yesterday by Roseanne is still being seen at the Azalea and Wileo Marsh.

Wes Hatch

Date: 7/14/18 1:22 pm
From: Robert D. Sattelmeyer <rsattelm...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Fall Shorebird Migration Picking up on Coast
I was able to spend part of the day Thursday helping with a Wilson's Plover survey on Little St Simons Island, and we got to see a nice variety of early migrants/new arrivals, mostly around Sancho Panza beach at the north end of the island. Most surprising was a Long-billed Curlew, although I see from eBird that there are several previous July records for the area. There were about a dozen Marbled Godwits, Black-bellied Plovers, Semi-palmated Plovers (some of which probably never left), 3 Ruddy Turnstones, a couple dozen Sanderlings, and about 35 Short-billed Dowitchers. Most of the shorebirds were still in alternate plumage. We also saw about 100 Least Terns, some still with eggs, and about 25 Black Terns, also still in very dark alternate plumage. A copy of the eBird checklist, with a lousy digiscoped photo of the LBCU is attached. Time to think about migration again!

Bob Sattelmeyer

St Simons Island

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47149094

Date: 7/14/18 7:55 am
From: robert emond <robert.emond2015...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 13 Jul 18
Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

> From: <ebird-alert...>
> Date: July 14, 2018 at 12:27:18 AM EDT
> Subject: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert <daily>
>
> *** Species Summary:
>
> Northern Bobwhite (1 Oconee)
> Little Blue Heron (1 Dawson)
> Purple Gallinule (1 Brooks)
> Least Sandpiper (1 Baker, 1 Burke)
> Lesser Yellowlegs (1 Baker)
> American Kestrel (2 Habersham, 1 Walton)
> Peregrine Falcon (1 Warren)
> Tree Swallow (1 Newton)
> Bank Swallow (1 Chatham)
> Dickcissel (1 Muscogee, 1 Walton)

> NOTE: all sightings are UNCONFIRMED unless indicated
>
> Robert Emond
Lowndes

Date: 7/13/18 4:34 pm
From: Joy Carter <joy.carter52...>
Subject: [GABO-L] McDaniel Branch Ponds- City of Atlanta
Melinda Langston and I visited this out-of-the-way wetlands area this
morning and were really pleased with the birds we found. As we got out of
the car we were greeted by a singing Wood Thrush followed by a croaking
Green Heron. There were several Common Yellowthroats throughout the
wetlands and more Orchard Orioles than I've ever seen in one place. We had
good looks at a male and then a group of females and immatures that was in
constant motion. We also had good looks at a male Indigo Bunting and a
Red-headed Woodpecker. Quite good for a small patch right in the middle of
the city!
Joy Carter
Atlanta, GA

152–180 Bowen Cir SW, Atlanta US-GA (33.7166,-84.3967), Fulton County,
Georgia, US

Date: 7/13/18 3:11 pm
From: Louise Venne <lsvenne...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Bartow County - Brandon Farm & Taff Rd
Visited Brandon Farm & Taff Rd ponds this evening for a quick loop. Found a solitary sandpiper and a handful of other good birds for late in the evening. Checklist with photos can be found here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47160826

Cheers,
Louise

Date: 7/13/18 12:06 pm
From: world oceans <world.oceans7...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Sharpie in Clayton County
Hi,
I just watched a Sharp-Shinned hawk lift off and circle before I lost it in
the sun, over I-285 at Exit 58 in Forest Park. Details will be submitted to
ebird. The species is regular though sparse at this spot in fall and
winter, rare in summer. Last Clayton Co report on ebird was April 1st.

James Gibson
Clayton Co.

Date: 7/12/18 2:56 pm
From: Eric Cormier <ericrcormier...>
Subject: Re: [GABO-L] Lake Allatoona Laughing Gulls
I saw two gulls in Lake Allatoona (across from Allatoona Pass Battlefield) last year on Sunday, July 16, but they were flying too far away for me to see any diagnostic details. I thought they might be Ring-billed or Herring Gulls, but I left as gulls sp. on eBird. I noticed that there are no July records for those species above the fall line on eBird.
That's great that Chuck Saleeby found and identified that Laughing Gull at this lake and month!

Eric Cormier
Sandy Springs-Fulton Co.

Date: 7/11/18 11:31 pm
From: robert emond <robert.emond2015...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 11Jul 18
Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

> From: <ebird-alert...>
> Date: July 12, 2018 at 12:03:22 AM EDT
> Subject: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert <daily>
>
> *** Species Summary:
>
> Black-bellied Whistling-Duck (1 Macon)
> Wood Stork (2 Greene)
> Roseate Spoonbill (2 Dooly, 2 Greene, 2 Lowndes)
> King Rail (1 Jefferson)
> Spotted Sandpiper (2 Dooly)
> Black Tern (1 Glynn)
> Willow Flycatcher (1 Greene)
> Cliff Swallow (1 Chatham)
> Grasshopper Sparrow (2 Rabun)
> Dickcissel (1 Lee, 3 Macon)

> NOTE: all sightings are UNCONFIRMED unless indicated
>
> Robert Emond
Lowndes

Date: 7/11/18 6:11 pm
From: Patricia Pepper <patriciapepper9...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Scissor-tails
Does anyone have a recent sighting of the Bartow Scissor-tails? I checked along Lucas Rd. this morning but didn't see them.
Pat Pepper
Acworth

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE Droid

Date: 7/11/18 8:56 am
From: John Mark Simmons <jmbirdingandphoto...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Roseate Spoonbills Greene Co.
Josiah Lavender reports 5 Roseate Spoonbills at the back of the marsh at Dyar Pasture this morning!

Sent from my iPhone

Date: 7/10/18 4:53 am
From: charles saleeby <charlessaleeby...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Lake Allatoona Laughing Gull
Sorry for the late post but I did have a winter plumaged laughing Gull while boating on Lake Allatoona early Sunday evening. The lake was covered with boaters and I saw the bird sitting on the water just south of the Cobb county line between I-75 and Dallas landing beach. I got terrible distant phone pics as that was all I had. It circled the area and dipped to the water several times after it was flushed by boats.
Chuck SaleebyKennesaw GACobb County

Date: 7/10/18 4:29 am
From: robert emond <robert.emond2015...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 9 Jul 18
Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

> From: <ebird-alert...>
> Date: July 9, 2018 at 11:42:38 PM EDT
> Subject: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert <daily>
>
> *** Species Summary:
>
> Black-bellied Whistling-Duck (4 Macon)
> Anhinga (1 Barrow)
> Roseate Spoonbill (1 Brooks, 2 Dooly)
> Broad-winged Hawk (1 Thomas)
> Purple Gallinule (1 Thomas)
> House Wren (2 Macon)
> Veery (1 Murray)
> Black-throated Blue Warbler (1 Murray)
> Dickcissel (4 Macon)

> NOTE: all sightings are UNCONFIRMED unless indicated
>
> Robert Emond
Lowndes

Date: 7/5/18 6:32 am
From: robert emond <robert.emond2015...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 4 July 18
Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

> From: <ebird-alert...>
> Date: July 4, 2018 at 10:46:05 PM EDT
> Subject: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert <daily>
>
> *** Species Summary:
>
> Roseate Spoonbill (1 Burke, 1 Miller)
> Broad-winged Hawk (1 Bibb, 1 Richmond)
> Purple Gallinule (1 Brooks)
> Solitary Sandpiper (1 Miller)
> Greater Yellowlegs (1 Decatur, 1 Mitchell)
> Willet (1 Decatur)
> Eurasian Collared-Dove (2 Cobb)
> Barn Owl (1 Crawford)
> Hairy Woodpecker (1 Liberty)
> American Kestrel (1 Floyd, 1 Murray, 1 Rockdale)
> Tree Swallow (1 Rockdale)
> Swainson's Warbler (2 Murray)
> Dickcissel (1 Morgan)

> NOTE: all sightings are UNCONFIRMED unless indicated
>
> Robert Emond
Lowndes

Date: 7/4/18 8:29 pm
From: Mark McShane <mcshanebirder...>
Hi All,

As most know, the entire U.S. SWALLOW-TAILED KITE population is a true specialty of the southeast. A bunch of these birds happen to breed and/or distribute along our Georgia coastal river corridors, in other coastal plain areas, and maybe even a bit beyond further inland as well in Georgia! All of these kites migrate very south in the fall. Prior to leaving though they flock up at their favorite foraging sites for a good while to fatten up for the long journey ahead.

In Georgia probably the most reliable and most famous site and area to see the largest numbers of the birds over the years has been the Skeens farm and the surrounding area in Long County. Gene Wilkinson of Glennville has been putting out great reports on the status of the kite flocks there in July and August for many years and many, many birders have enjoyed seeing both Swallow-tailed Kites (STKI) and Mississippi Kites (MIKI), in mixed kite flocks, Very up close and Very personal based on the information Gene provides!

---

2018 SITE AND AREA INFORMATION, WITH AWESOME UPDATE:

Gene advised me in the spring of this year that the Skeens are now OUT OF THE POULTRY BUSINESS!!!

Gene advises that the Skeens farm grounds proper are open for birders to visit for kite-watching this season!

So the flocked up kites in Long County can be soon seen on the Skeens farm proper, later in July and through August, as in many years past!

(So, the RED STOP SIGN signage at the entrance to the farm proper that went up in August 2015 because of the Claxton Poultry Farms disease prevention authorized personnel only regulations and precautions put in place then due to the ongoing and/or potential bird flu situation for poultry farms is no longer in effect!)

---

The kites will soon be able to be seen flocked up and foraging on and near the Skeens Farm, and in the surrounding areas as well in their annual and probably daily and hopefully Large-sized foraging concentrations, potentially 30-100+ STKIs, with a good number of MIKIs as well, for their pre-migration and several weeks long daily feeding fests, before they leave on their southbound fall migration sometime mostly in mid to late August! Viewing is usually best from say possibly 21 July - 15 August, and maybe through the last half of August a bit as well.

The birds usually start arriving over the fields on the farm, and the surrounding areas, and on the north side of Grady Kennedy Road between 9:00-9:30am and then may start to disperse between 11:30-1:30pm. I would always start on the farm proper and/or Grady Kennedy Road at 9:00-9:30am, and then would check the other sites as needed afterwards.

You don't need any advance permission to enter and bird on the farm during kite season, but please engage the Skeens when you see them, show your gratitude, and ask about current parking, or if there are any special instructions for the day that you are there.

If you have never seen Swallow-tailed Kites before, or even if you have, you will always be totally elated by the bountifully beautiful, gorgeously graceful, stunningly amazing, and astoundingly acrobatic aerial displays put on by these kites, and by both species together! These displays can intensify a good bit in frequency, speed, and acrobatic prowess during a given session as the number of kites increases while they compete in larger numbers for the amount of flying insect June Bug prey over the fields in late July through mid-August or so! Jaw-dropping birdwatching action, and they sometimes float over your head within 20 feet or so, always an unparalleled opportunity for birders in Georgia!

---

I had previously put up 3, for folks not already familiar, essential viewing annotated aerial photography maps of the area and the sites at:

http://app.box.com/s/vgt881jrws39nggzr6p7

I WANT TO GET THIS UPDATE OUT NOW, BUT I'LL EVENTUALLY REPLACE THESE PHOTO MAPS WITH ONES THAT DON'T SHOW OR EXPLAIN THE FARM ENTRY RESTRICTIONS, BUT FOR NOW USE THE MAPS AND JUST DISREGARD THE FARM ENTRY RESTRICTIONS (BECAUSE THEY NO LONGER EXIST!).

1. Long County - Kite Flocking Areas.jpg
Overview of the main areas to watch kites, the Skeens Farm is traditionally the best site. The farm proper is OPEN TO BIRDERS. This area is about 5 miles east of Glennville Georgia on Hwy 196.

2. Skeens Farm Area - Long County.jpg
The farm proper is OPEN TO BIRDERS. Shows the approach road to the farm, the farm, and the main kite watching areas there.

3. Skeens Farm - Detail with Parking.jpg
The farm proper is OPEN TO BIRDERS. Shows the farm entrance and possible best parking areas depending on conditions and farm operations. Shows where the kites may perch in the trees almost every morning and early afternoon on the farm proper.

Decimal Degrees (WGS84) coordinates and GPS coordinates are included on these JPG files, I would be familiar with them before you go. Input the coordinates into Google Maps exactly as they are, and you can view the pinpointed location on the screen, then you can do directions or zoom in and out to see how to get to the sites as needed. Turn the satellite imagery on as desired as well.

---

Although there can be no guarantee this is always a superb, and virtually certain chance, to see, during the peak timeframe, many, many SWALLOW-TAILED KITES, with some MISSISSIPPI KITES mixed in, Up Close, and usually Very Close (within 30-50 feet, or less, at times), and also to see them, maybe as many as 10-20 of them or more, perched, and usually very close then as well, and maybe for a few hours, and day after day!

Sunscreen, a good sun hat, or an umbrella, plenty of cold water, cold drinks, snacks, food, and a chair of some sort, are all highly recommended, and it will be hot.

Although the birds will be able to be seen very well even without any optics when they are close in, binoculars should be used. Cameras, video cameras, and spotting scopes are also all very, very highly recommended as well.

This is Georgia birding, or any birding, at its absolute best! We are indeed very fortunate to live and bird in a state that has good numbers of kites breeding and flocking, both the Swallow-tailed and the Mississippi, and that put on such amazingly spectacular annual shows for us in preparation for their fall migration!

One note of warning though, once you are smitten by these birds, viewing them very up close and personal, and for a good long while, you will probably have to start making the annual pilgrimage to see good numbers of them as many do, and as I've done for the past 11 summers in a row!

If anyone needs more information or any help with the directions please email or contact me.

---

SWALLOW-TAILED KITE at Cornell's All About Birds:

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Swallow-tailed_Kite/id

---

Here are links to some really amazing STKI photo collections from a great day in Long County back in August 2008:

David Cree's 16 August 2008 Swallow-tailed Kites Flickr gallery
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27397197@N06/albums/72157606836520621

-and-

Joel McNeal's PBase 16 August 2008 Swallow-tailed Kites gallery
http://www.pbase.com/joelmcneal/stki

---

Thanks again to Gene, and to the Skeens, and hopefully we'll get some good flocking updates later this month!

Date: 7/4/18 11:42 am
From: Carol Lambert and/or Jeff Sewell <lambertsewell...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Roseate Spoonbills, Murphy Candler Park, DeKalb County, 6/29/18
 Yesterday, Jimmie Turnage texted me a photo of three Roseate Spoonbills that she and Rose Austin saw here on 6/29/18. It was taken with her cellphone and is not great, but one can clearly see the bills.

Date: 7/4/18 4:42 am
From: Drew Whitelegg <drewwhitelegg1...>
Subject: Re: [GABO-L] Fish Crows versus American Crows ratio
Hi all,
Being from the UK, my impressions are more recent, but I agree with the
overall comments here. There do seem to be more Fish Crows in DeKalb than
previously, though I don't have the records to prove it.

As an aside, in the southeast of England, there seems to have been a
similarly large increase in the number of Jackdaws (a smaller member of the
crow family) whereas the number of Rooks (another crow) seems to have gone
down. My point is that there may be fluctuations going on in the crow
family that we perhaps overlook because they are so common.

For lovers of reading, especially English nature writing, I can highly
recommend Mark Cocker's beautiful Crow Country.

Cheers
Drew Whitelegg
DeKalb Co.

Date: 7/3/18 3:41 pm
From: Rick Sellers <rasel1521...>
Subject: [GABO-L] SCTA at Cochran Shoals
Last Thursday while running one of the bike trails at Cochran Shoals, I
heard the distinctive chik-burr of a Scarlet Tanager. Turns out it was
fussing at a preening Barred Owl in a dead pine. Could only see the
silhouette of the tanager. Then today near the same spot, I heard the
chik-burr again. My assumption is that there must be a breeding pair
nearby.

Rick Sellers
Atlanta

Date: 7/3/18 1:46 pm
From: Carol Lambert and/or Jeff Sewell <lambertsewell...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Little Blue Heron, Murphy Candler Park, DeKalb County, 7/3/18
 An immature LBHE continues at the park for the second day.

Date: 7/3/18 12:26 pm
From: Chris O'Neal <chrisoneal2718...>

Date: 7/3/18 11:53 am
From: plm108 <plm108...>

Date: 7/3/18 10:44 am
From: world oceans <world.oceans7...>

Date: 7/3/18 10:40 am
From: Chris O'Neal <chrisoneal2718...>
I have definitely noticed that over the years too. Twenty-four years ago in
Georgia, virtually every crow I saw was American. Seeing a Fishy was a big
excitement for me then. Today, I tend to see plenty of American in the
winter, but in spring and summer just about every crow I find is Fish.
Quite a statistically significant change in the odds ratio!

Chris O’Neal
Brookhaven

Date: 7/3/18 8:44 am
From: Beth Roth <bethheron...>
Subject: [GABO-L] GUILTY AS CHARGED
Sorry folks for the fire ant violation but I thought it was a good remedy to pass on since fire ants are somewhat destructive to nests etc and this method is not harmful as the other chemicals put down….. BUT maybe some people like fire ants.
I had a big mound of ants set up shop under my main feeder and was happy to find something that would get rid of the ants without poisoning my birds.
I hold the ants partially responsible for destroying my Bobwhites that lived with me for years.
I’m sorry to have broken the rules but I seem to do it once every decade.
You’ll be rid of me soon since we’re moving from this beautiful state of GA to San Marino CA (renting) later this month since that’s where my kids and four grandchildren live.

I learned a lot , met a lot of GREAT people and birds, and attended many interesting, field trips ,meetings and weekends.

GOS Is a great constructive, educational Organization and I’m proud to be a card carrying member

Best to all you great birders
And Good Birding Y'all
Beth Roth
Skidaway Island
Savannah

Date: 7/3/18 6:03 am
From: Sandy Pangle <SPANGLE...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Northern Bobwhite Whitfield County
I was thrilled to hear a very close Northern Bobwhite in Northern Whitfield County on Emerson road while on a bike ride yesterday. That's a bird I really miss!

Sandy Pangle

Whitfield County

Date: 7/3/18 5:42 am
From: robert emond <robert.emond2015...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 2 Jul 18
Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

> From: <ebird-alert...>
> Date: July 2, 2018 at 10:30:38 PM EDT
> Subject: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert <daily>
>
> *** Species Summary:
>
> Ruddy Duck (2 Clayton)
> Northern Bobwhite (1 Jasper)
> Little Blue Heron (1 Dawson)
> Sandhill Crane (1 Warren)
> Eurasian Collared-Dove (1 Cobb)
> Tree Swallow (1 Henry, 1 Jasper)
> Cedar Waxwing (1 Floyd)
> Black-and-white Warbler (1 Bulloch)
> Purple Finch (Eastern) (1 Gwinnett)

> NOTE: all sightings are UNCONFIRMED unless indicated
>
> Robert Emond
Lowndes

Date: 7/2/18 7:20 pm
From: Mark McShane <mcshanebirder...>
Subject: Re: [GABO-L] ADMIN - Re: KILLING FIRE ANTS WITH MEDINA ORANGE OIL MIXTURE...IT REALLY WORKS
Hi All,

Regarding the killing fire ants post and it prompting a reminder to follow the posting guidelines, I received many responses after I posted the reminder. Many were emphatic that the subject was completely off topic, and were appreciative of my reminder, and as originally posted I agree.

However, Beth has since written to me to add that if I was saying this helpful issue is unrelated to the stated GABO discussion topics:

Bird sightings (particularly of rare or unusual birds); birding sites; trip reports; birding event/meeting/trip announcements; bird behavior, biology, and ecology; state or regional bird-related conservation issues (but not politics or arguments); and similar topics pertinent to Georgia and its immediate vicinity.)

that fire ants are one of the reasons that nesting Bobwhites and other species have been lost, and that the Ogeechee Audubon had a program one time concerning this subject.

---

What I learned from this exchange was that at the moment there are 1254 GABO subscribers, and that they have 1254 different collections of experiences, experience levels, groups of lessons learned, and things to share from their time with birds and birding!

Many had no idea that fire ants were related. Personally I could tell you much more about the frequency and occurrence of Red-f00ted B00bies in Georgia and the southeastern U.S. than about any impact that fire ants may have on birds in Georgia.

However, if you're going to post, and your post initially has no mention of birds or birding in it, please review it prior to posting and ensure that you elaborate as to why your post is related to birds and birding in Georgia, or we'll be missing the intended benefit of your post (and it may generate another one of those wretched posting guidelines reminder)!

Thanks Beth for the update!

---

Thanks so much All and Good Birding!

Mark
GABO-L owner

Date: 7/2/18 6:20 am
From: Carol Lambert and/or Jeff Sewell <lambertsewell...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Rudddy Duck, Lake Shamrock, Clayton County; Dickcissels, Spalding County, both on 7/1/18
 The Ruddy- an adult male. Seen and photoed Sunday morning.
The Dickcissels were seen and heard at the intersection of Rehoboth Road and Rehoboth Church Road southeast of Griffin, Ga.Three singing males. Carol and I had two here on June 3, 2018 and have had them here a few times in the past on our breeding bird surveys.
Jeff Sewell and Patrick Brisse

Date: 7/1/18 2:07 pm
From: Richard Candler <candler86...>
Subject: [GABO-L] June 2018 breeding bird report Coweta County
June birding is notoriously slow but it's a great time to observe breeding
behavior and to try and locate nests. Over the past month I haven't been
able to do much birding but I have been trying to record breeding birds all
over the farm. I tallied over 80 species for the property and discovered
some notable breeders. Here are some memorable highlights:

One pair of BLUE-HEADED VIREOs
4 pairs of SCARLET TANAGERS
WOOD THRUSH
The GREAT BLUE HERON rookery is strong with over 30 birds

Of the warblers:
PINE WARBLER
NORTHERN PARULA
one pair of KENTUCKY WARBLER
2 pairs of PROTHONOTARY WARBLER (saw adults feeding young)
several pairs of LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSH
several COMMON YELLOWTHROATs
I had a BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER singing early in the month but only for one
day

The CHUCK-WILLS-WIDOWs are still singing actively most nights. My cousin
found 4 nests with eggs/young but there seems to be more than that on the
entire farm based on where they are singing.

This is the 2nd year in a row that I have NOT had GRASSHOPPER SPARROW in
the pasture near the barn but they are still singing in front of my
grandparents house.
Plenty of FIELD SPARROWS

Five flycatcher species paired up within the vicinity of the house.
I had an EASTERN PHEOBE pair raise 2 separate litters in the nest on my
porch.
There is an ACADIAN FLYCATCHER nest about 20 feet from the porch (photo
included in this list: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46804646 )
EASTERN KINGBIRD pair in an Osage Orange tree in the pasture.
EASTERN WOOD-PEWEE
GREAT CRESTED FLYCATCHER

TREE SWALLOW and PURPLE MARTIN built nests in the martin house. TRSW was
out at beginning of the month and the PUMA moved in.

That's about all of the notable ones. Most of the expected species are
present.

Richard Candler
Rolling Meadows Farm
Sharpsburg, Coweta County

Date: 7/1/18 12:24 pm
From: Tom Striker <tastriker...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Late (or early?) Pine Siskin
I had a single healthy-looking Pine Siskin on my feeder on Thursday, June
28, 2018. It showed a lot of yellow, so perhaps a male.

One is a treat. One hundred are a burden.

Tom Striker

Blue Ridge (Fannin County), GA

Date: 7/1/18 7:29 am
From: Mark McShane <mcshanebirder...>
Hi All (fire ant owners included),

I know it's 1 July and things are slow, but please be reminded of our Posting Guidelines!

All of the information regarding posting to our forum can be found on the Georgia Birders Online (GABO) FAQ page on the Georgia Ornithological Society website at:

https://www.gos.org/georgia-birders-online

---

Date: 7/1/18 5:26 am
From: Liz Horsey <erhorsey...>
My BIL swaps a shovelful from two mounds, and they fight to the death. He has nothing but dead mounds in his field.

Liz Horsey
<erhorsey...>
NW Atlanta, Fulton Co.

Date: 6/30/18 11:35 pm
From: Beth Roth <bethheron...>

Date: 6/25/18 6:22 pm
From: robert emond <robert.emond2015...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 24 Jun 18
Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

> From: <ebird-alert...>
> Date: June 25, 2018 at 9:13:00 PM EDT
> Subject: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert <daily>
>
> *** Species Summary:
>
> American White Pelican (2 Bartow)
> Little Blue Heron (1 DeKalb)
> Roseate Spoonbill (1 Grady, 2 Miller)
> Common Tern (1 Chatham)
> American Kestrel (2 Bartow)
> Blue-headed Vireo (1 Coweta)
> Pine Siskin (1 Rabun)

> NOTE: all sightings are UNCONFIRMED unless indicated
>
> Robert Emond
Lowndes

Date: 6/25/18 12:33 pm
From: peter fancher <pfanch...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Osprey
Immature osprey at spillway of Lake Chapman,Sandy Creek Park in Athens
Sunday. I stopped on the dam and had a staring contest.

Date: 6/24/18 5:07 pm
From: Wes Hatch <whatch11...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Arrowhead Environmental Education Center Floyd Co.
Hello all,

I spent the late morning and early afternoon hiking at Arrowhead Environmental Education Center up in Floyd County. I was met with blistering heat, a few rain showers and lots of breeding birds. Highlights were two generations of Pied-billed grebes, the youngest were still getting free rides on their parents backs. There were also immature Hooded Mergansers, both of these species are rare breeders in Georgia. Other rarities included a Double-Crested Cormorant and a fly over Cedar Waxwing (both rare in summer months). A copy to my checklist is below.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46767443

Happy Birding,

Wes Hatch

Date: 6/23/18 11:17 am
From: Angelia Jenkins <angeliabeth...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Noonday Creek Trail ~ AAS Trip Report / Cobb County
Hi Birders,

Today was a slow birding day and very quiet out this morning but typical #s this time of year along Noonday Creek. We actually had two walks going on simultaneously, one at the West end (led by me) and another at the East End ( led by Paul Hutto) Both of us had similar numbers but Paul found Orchard Orioles in and out of the Kudzu that is flowering now. Our end of the trail had a Parula in the thick blooming kudzu. The only good thing at this time of year about the kudzu that is now forming a bridge over the trail! At the West end, near KFC @ Vaughn Rd/Hwy 41 we had 34 species and found the typical local breeding birds. I had a family of 4 with me. So great to see a whole family out birding together. Introduced them to eBird and now they are off! 😊

Here is our list for those interested:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46737092

Thank you,

Angie Jenkins

Kennesaw Mountain Nature Preschool <http://kennesawmountainnaturepreschool.com/>

678-224-1595

<angie...>

Date: 6/22/18 6:48 pm
From: Joel Volpi <vvolpi...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Ravens
Two ravens sitting on the guard rail on HWY 60 between Woody Gap and HWY 180 in Suches this morning at 8:00 AM .

Joel Volpi
651 Creekview Ct
Cornelia, GA 30531-7170
Habersham CO.
Sent from my iPhone

Date: 6/22/18 6:26 pm
From: robert emond <robert.emond2015...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 21 Jun 18
Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

> From: <ebird-alert...>
> Date: June 22, 2018 at 8:34:39 PM EDT
> Subject: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert <daily>
>
> *** Species Summary:
>
> Northern Bobwhite (1 Jones)
> Limpkin (Speckled) (1 Dougherty)
> Greater Yellowlegs (2 Glynn)
> Least Flycatcher (1 Rabun)
> Cedar Waxwing (1 Bartow)
> Dickcissel (1 Muscogee)

> NOTE: all sightings are UNCONFIRMED unless indicated
>
> Robert Emond
Lowndes

Date: 6/20/18 6:14 pm
From: robert emond <robert.emond2015...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 19 Jun 18
Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

> From: <ebird-alert...>
> Date: June 20, 2018 at 8:11:25 PM EDT
> Subject: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert <daily>
>
> *** Species Summary:
>
> Northern Bobwhite (1 Heard, 1 Oconee)
> Common Loon (1 Troup)
> Roseate Spoonbill (1 Jefferson)
> Purple Gallinule (1 Lee)
> Barn Owl (1 Lee)
> American Kestrel (1 Richmond)
> Tree Swallow (1 Glynn)
> Prothonotary Warbler (1 Dawson)
> Yellow Warbler (1 Fannin)

> NOTE: all sightings are UNCONFIRMED unless indicated
>
> Robert Emond
Lowndes

Date: 6/20/18 1:32 pm
From: Jennifer E Wolf <jenwolf...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Mississippi Kite, Athens Clarke-County
Spotted this morning about 11:00 a.m. in a tree-top on Crossbow Place in the Overlook Lake neighborhood. A rare sighting for this neighborhood: spotted a M.K. only one other time, two summers ago, at our little wetland (on Crossbow Circle). I managed to get a couple of decent photos.

Jen Wolf,
Winterville, Athens Clarke-County.

Date: 6/20/18 7:06 am
From: Ann Stewart <annhstewart...>
Subject: [GABO-L] EAGLE PROGRAM
Coming on now at 10am on NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC WILD channel is a program on EAGLES! Looks like it is going to be good!!

Ann Stewart
Rome

Ann Stewart
Rome,Georgia

Sent from my iPhone

Date: 6/19/18 10:53 am
From: Walt Chambers <chambersw...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Bobolink, Least Tern in Muscogee Co. - 6/19
Hit Oxbow Meadows in south Columbus this morning. The best bird was a Male Bobolink singing in the capped landfill area. Pretty cool given that is just on the south side of the fall line. Video can be seen here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/georgiabirdphotos/<https://www.facebook.com/groups/georgiabirdphotos/?ref=gs&fref=gs&dti=174830845096&hc_location=group> My latest record for this species before today in this area was in Harris Co. a few years ago on June 2nd. Also in this same field today, 2 Grasshopper Sparrows made an appearance which was nice, since the area was mowed in May! At least 3 Dickcissels continue in the south application field. It's been a good June at OM with recent records of Hooded Merganser and Bank Swallow as well...

After I left OM, Andrew Dreelin called and said he had a Least Tern foraging by his house on the Chattahoochee.. I raced up there and got great views of it diving merely feet from the dock (county bird #271)! He also has Tree Swallows nesting in box by the dock (Thanks, Andrew!).. Fun stuff..

Walt Chambers

Columbus

[https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/c0.30.200.200/p200x200/35224195_2398463473500906_2343013588928561152_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=a6a0682a02e117360d99ce0834e0fdba&oe=5BB0B049]<https://www.facebook.com/groups/georgiabirdphotos/?ref=gs&fref=gs&dti=174830845096&hc_location=group>

Georgia Birds - Photo Sharing<https://www.facebook.com/groups/georgiabirdphotos/?ref=gs&fref=gs&dti=174830845096&hc_location=group>
www.facebook.com
This page gives members of the Georgia Ornithology Society's Facebook Page a place to share photos they have taken of birds in Georgia. It is not the place for reporting a rare bird sighting and it...

Date: 6/18/18 5:53 pm
From: robert emond <robert.emond2015...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Fwd: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert 17 Jun 18
Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

> From: <ebird-alert...>
> Date: June 18, 2018 at 7:55:12 PM EDT
> Subject: [eBird Alert] Georgia Rare Bird Alert <daily>
>
> *** Species Summary:
>
> Black-bellied Whistling-Duck (1 Macon)
> Black-crowned Night-Heron (1 Fulton)
> Roseate Spoonbill (1 Brooks)
> Barn Owl (1 Crawford)
> Yellow Warbler (1 Hall)
> Dickcissel (3 Morgan)

> NOTE: all sightings are UNCONFIRMED unless indicated
>
> Robert Emond
Lowndes

Send regular postings to <gabo-l...>