Carolinabirds
Received From Subject
3/26/24 5:06 am scompton1251 <scompton1251...> Re: NC Breeding Bird Survey Routes available
3/25/24 1:46 pm Ricky Davis (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> NC Breeding Bird Survey Routes available
3/24/24 9:24 am Brian smith (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Re: carolinabirds Digest Sun, 24 Mar 2024
3/23/24 10:22 am <jofuss...> protection of eagles nests during development
3/22/24 12:50 pm nancy lee adamson (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Roommate for Charleston trip
3/20/24 2:19 pm \Roger Shaw\ (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Chapel Hill Bird Club Meeting – 3/25 – Tom Driscoll — Birds and Wildlife of Kenya and Uganda
3/20/24 8:17 am Thomas McNeil (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Common Mergansers (Madison Co., NC)
3/20/24 5:48 am Michael Fogleman (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Bird Finder website
3/19/24 7:38 am Craig Watson (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> White-winged and Common Ground Doves at Patriot's Point, Mount Pleasant, SC
3/18/24 9:24 am Eastman, Caroline <EASTMAN...> CBC Charleston Meeting Hotel
3/17/24 12:38 pm <sshultz...> Spring and House Finches using weird nests
3/17/24 6:31 am Ben Acker (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Re: FOS Yellow-throated Warbler
3/17/24 5:30 am Randee Gordon (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Please remove me from the email distribution list
3/17/24 5:16 am Helen Kalevas (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> FOS Louisiana waterthrush
3/16/24 9:54 am Chris Canfield (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> FOS Yellow-throated Warbler
3/16/24 9:19 am Kent Fiala (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Carolina Bird Club Spring birding weekend
3/15/24 1:28 pm Dwayne Martin (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Surf Scoters Continue -Riverbend Park
3/15/24 12:33 pm \rkbbirder (null)\ (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Say’s Phoebe -Delta South WMA/Union county SC
3/14/24 8:18 am Jeff Pippen (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Butterfly Monitoring Workshop - NC Aquarium-Manteo 3/20/2024
3/13/24 6:28 pm Michael Fogleman (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Re: Warbler Index of eBird hotspots in Triangle NC (2023 fall)
3/13/24 12:43 pm Steve <sshultz...> Re: Warbler Index of eBird hotspots in Triangle NC (2023 fall)
3/13/24 12:31 pm Carolyn McAllaster (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Re: Warbler Index of eBird hotspots in Triangle NC (2023 fall)
3/13/24 11:09 am Jin Bai (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Warbler Index of eBird hotspots in Triangle NC (2023 fall)
3/12/24 11:42 am John Connors (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Butterflies in Wake County
3/12/24 6:40 am Tim Lewis (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Re: Warm winter question
3/11/24 1:02 pm Kevin Kubach (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Yellow Warbler continues (>1 month) in Clemson, SC
3/11/24 10:53 am Christopher Hill (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Re: To all eBird users
3/11/24 8:38 am Paul Serridge (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Re: To all eBird users
3/11/24 8:00 am Tim Lewis (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Warm winter question
3/11/24 6:21 am \<k.grinnell...>\ (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Re: To all eBird users
3/11/24 5:10 am KEN LIPSHY (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Re: Birding Hotspots website (No sightings)
3/11/24 4:45 am Paul Serridge (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> To all eBird users
3/10/24 3:11 pm Matt Lawing (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Birds of Brazil: pantanal needed
3/9/24 11:38 am andrew thornton (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Birding Hotspots website (No sightings)
3/8/24 5:50 am Kevin Kubach (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Whip-poor-wills
3/7/24 4:20 am Van Jones (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Change my email address
3/6/24 3:45 pm Craig Watson (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> American Flamingo, Santee Coastal Reserve, Charleston County, SC
3/6/24 2:59 pm Pamela Ford (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> White-faced Ibis, Santee Coastal Reserve, South Carolina
3/4/24 4:09 pm Harry LeGrand (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> FYI -- Two Monk Parakeets at a Dunn, NC, feeder
3/4/24 12:04 pm Jin Bai (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Warbler Index from Triangle of NC (2023 spring migration season)
3/2/24 2:02 pm Elizabeth Faison (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Re: Attracting goldfinches
3/2/24 9:39 am KEN LIPSHY (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Re: Attracting goldfinches
3/2/24 5:59 am Betsy Kane (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Attracting goldfinches
3/1/24 12:02 pm Thea and Mark Sinclair (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Re: Apple photo app doubles as bird identification tool
3/1/24 9:52 am Linda Foster (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Re: Apple photo app doubles as bird identification tool
3/1/24 9:17 am Kent Fiala (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Re: Apple photo app doubles as bird identification tool
3/1/24 8:46 am Leon Galis <lgalis...> Re: Apple photo app doubles as bird identification tool
3/1/24 8:09 am Robert McLean (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Re: Apple photo app doubles as bird identification tool
3/1/24 7:56 am Ann Maddock <amaddock...> Re: Apple photo app doubles as bird identification tool
3/1/24 7:02 am Aaron Given (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Re: Birding hotspots web site
3/1/24 6:35 am Robert Lewis (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Birding hotspots web site
3/1/24 6:12 am Carolyn McAllaster (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> Re: Apple photo app doubles as bird identification tool
3/1/24 6:00 am Steve <sshultz...> Apple photo app doubles as bird identification tool

Back to top
Date: 3/26/24 5:06 am
From: scompton1251 <scompton1251...>
Subject: Re: NC Breeding Bird Survey Routes available
Please send contact info for South Carolina BBS coordinator.Thanks,Steve ComptonCurrently in Greenville, SCMoving to Dorchester County SeptemberSent from my Verizon LG Smartphone------ Original message------From: Ricky DavisDate: Mon, Mar 25, 2024 4:46 PMTo: <carolinabirds...>;Cc: Subject:NC Breeding Bird Survey Routes availableHi FolksThis is my annual plea for observers to take on a Breeding Bird Survey (BBS) route in NC. The last two years have seen a large number of Routes being vacated, all across this great state! So I am hoping that we can get some new observers to run these routes. In NC there are 90 Routes, and currently there are 22 vacant. I really hate this, we used to have coverage for all except maybe 5 or so. If  you don't know much about the BBS, it basically entails running your Route once a year during the late May to late June time period. A Route is a 24.5 mile roadside survey, stopping every .5 mile and counting all birds seen and heard for 3 minutes exactly.
It normally takes around 4 hours to conduct the route. Each Route starts half-an-hour before sunrise time. Once you conduct the Route, then you enter it into the BBS Data Entry website, and then mail back the materials to the BBS office. That is all it takes!So if you take on a Route, you obviously need to know all the sounds, calls, and songs of all the birds normally found along the Route. I find that about 75-80 percent of the birds I record are heard only. Also you will need to be at the starting point a little before the starting time, to get ready. So depending on where the Starting Point is in relation to where you live, is important. Also the BBS office really likes for Observers to commit to running a Route for 3 years or more.So if you are interested in taking on a Route, or adding another, please contact me.I suggest going to the BBS website to learn all about it.  Also there is a map page showing the NC Routes, the Vacant ones are in Red!(https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/bbs)Thanks__;!!OToaGQ!r78NUe7NN-1Q-x_9Uw5eNvcNqAcBq3Exa8hrS4cbZHaXY5STXDGUytVWgm4dUagLRJjvm_3Taa8lRgy81XQyRgME6tQ$
alot for considering joining the BBS family!Later, Ricky-- Ricky DavisNC BBS CoordinatorRocky Mount, NC

Back to top
Date: 3/25/24 1:46 pm
Subject: NC Breeding Bird Survey Routes available
[...]

(https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/bbs__;!!OToaGQ!oIXovB37MT_UdaJBIKBWfRyOXwF7PeOxIwagmDOgBmBw95jlLE1TCuPT8gllyXYczpDx-AFZVWHUm4spJg$ )

Thanks alot for considering joining the BBS family!

Later, Ricky

--
Ricky Davis
NC BBS Coordinator

Back to top
Date: 3/24/24 9:24 am
Subject: Re: carolinabirds Digest Sun, 24 Mar 2024
We worked with USFWS a few years ago now in Raleigh Parks with a nest along
the Shelley Lake greenway trail. That was a bit different scenario than
the development that you are describing but some of the basics still apply.
Best case is for activities that may be “close” to the nest tree to
happen outside the nesting window (we installed hacking platform). If my
understanding is correct, during the nesting window, activity within ~300’
is limited. Best practice is always consultation with the agency
responsible for the given regulation and the link below should be start.
During the greenway scenario with our still active and very successful nest
that patrons can see from the greenway around Shelley Lake, we received
excellent consultation and recommendations from both local and regional
USFWS professionals familiar with enforcing the eagle protection act at the
following link.

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.fws.gov/law/bald-and-golden-eagle-protection-act__;!!OToaGQ!oxo4pU0tH_jcdfg_yJYdkL_8E_WgEpzhXwRSF7VoqvC6SM1qVLqwu__I-QkfSqKcSh04QI9gaJfWhtypu6FM8w$

On Sun, Mar 24, 2024 at 6:00 AM <carolinabirds-request...> wrote:

> carolinabirds Digest Sun, 24 Mar 2024
>
> Table of contents:
>
> 1. protection of eagles nests during development - <jofuss...>

Back to top

Date: 3/22/24 12:50 pm
Subject: Roommate for Charleston trip

Back to top
Date: 3/20/24 2:19 pm
Subject: Chapel Hill Bird Club Meeting – 3/25 – Tom Driscoll — Birds and Wildlife of Kenya and Uganda
Hi all,

The Chapel Hill Bird Club is holding its monthly meeting on Monday, March 25,
2024 at 7:30 p.m. This meeting will be in-person with a zoom option
available. Come at 7:15 for refreshments. Location is the lounge in Olin T.
Binkley Baptist Church, corner of Highway 15-501 Bypass and Willow Drive,
behind University Mall. Address: 1712 Willow Drive, Chapel Hill, NC.

Tom Driscoll will talk about a trip his wife Barbara and he took to Kenya and
Uganda in 2023. Both countries are rich in birds and wildlife, boasting a
diverse array of species due to their varied habitats ranging from savannas
and forests to wetlands and mountains. He will share with us the fascinating
array of wildlife that he encountered in these East African countries.

Tom has been birding for 35 years. He is retired from the U.S. Environmental
Protection Agency. He is past president of the New Hope Audubon Society and a
past board member for the Eno River Association.

Also, this will be your chance to ask “Ask Kent” anything about eBird. Kent
Fiala will answer one eBird question, to be drawn from a hat. Come prepared to
submit a question. Zoom attendees will also have the opportunity to submit a
question in the Chatbox.

Register in advance for this meeting:

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZEpf-qrrzkqGdAdXVxHgAqqfl9A8lWqWduW

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing
information about joining the meeting.

Best regards,

Roger Shaw
<roger.w.shaw...>

Back to top
Date: 3/20/24 8:17 am
Subject: Common Mergansers (Madison Co., NC)

There are currently (11:00am) two pairs of Common Mergansers at the
Blannahassett Island Recreational Area in Marshall, NC.

Cathryn and Thomas McNeil
Hampton, TN

Back to top
Date: 3/20/24 5:48 am
Subject: Bird Finder website
Hello friends,

With eBird being down, I thought now might be a good time to remind you
about my "Bird Finder" website. It can't take your checklists, of course,
but it can show you lots of data which might be helpful in deciding where
to go birding in the next few days.

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.michaelfogleman.com/birds/__;!!OToaGQ!qOOQd7SbhrXzOhjqWnJYUkzb5a6_V6Zw9riKTFqtyslCOQT7moyyp0LxtEQG62MAT9UpsyJBYQA6FvO0Jpk2$

Using historical eBird data, this site can tell you:
1) what birds are most likely to be seen in your region
2) which hotspots are best for finding a particular species
3) what birds are most likely to be seen at a particular hotspot

It works worldwide. Enter any city name and a radius up to 100 miles. Click
around and see what you can find!

Michael Fogleman
Cary, NC

Back to top
Date: 3/19/24 7:38 am
Subject: White-winged and Common Ground Doves at Patriot's Point, Mount Pleasant, SC
For the past two mornings, there have been 4 White-winged Doves and 2
Common Ground Doves at Patriot's Point near the Golf Course Clubhouse. Both
mornings the White-winged Doves were directly behind the mailbox on the
right side of the road across from the clubhouse perched low in the shrubs
and visible from the side of the road or parking lot. Two flew down to the
ground while two remained perched. After Pam and I birded the area we
returned to find the doves not present. When Charles Donnelley and I
approached the mailbox yesterday, all the birds flew off, so it appears the
birds roost there and fly off sometime around 830.

Two Common Ground Doves were again calling, one from near the Clubhouse
area and one to the west near the work area. Both mornings the doves
called to each other and both mornings we were unable to find the birds. I
do have recordings of the birds calling. After 830 or so, both doves became
silent.

Happy Birding!

--

*"to live will be an awfully big adventure" - Peter Pan*

Craig Watson
Mount Pleasant, SC

Back to top
Date: 3/18/24 9:24 am
From: Eastman, Caroline <EASTMAN...>
Subject: CBC Charleston Meeting Hotel
If you try to register online for the hotel, there is a three night minimum for Thursday through Sunday. You cant change it online. If you want less than the three nights, call the hotel and you should be able to still get the CBC rate. Also, the rate shown online is $141 rather than $139.

Caroline Eastman

Back to top
Date: 3/17/24 12:38 pm
From: <sshultz...>
Subject: Spring and House Finches using weird nests
Happy St. Pat's! Hope you remembered your green and/or did not get pinched
much.

March is one of those doldrums of birding for me, after most of the winter
birds have been seen or have left, and before the spring birds have mostly
arrived. But there is still some fun to be found.

I visited the same two spots on the Haw River in Chatham County yesterday
and today and noticed an overnight difference in arriving birds. Yesterday
the walk north from the 64 bridge was pretty winter-like. Nothing that was
not there in December. Down the stream about a mile or two at Robeson canoe
launch, Yellow-throated Warblers were obvious, with at least three birds,
along with a small flotilla of gnatcatchers. Nothing else though (like an
early parula). And no waterthrush.

Today Robeson was the same, but the Yellow-throateds and gnatcatchers
invaded the spot north of the 64 bridge, maybe overnight, and were both in
decent numbers today. A day can make a difference! Still no waterthrush.

Barn Swallows were present today (but not seen yesterday) so they may have
come in overnight too.

We did witness something that may be unusual. At least three pair of House
Finches appear to be using Cliff Swallow nests for their own nesting
purposes. I scanned the literature briefly, and there are a couple of
documented instances of House Finches using Barn Swallow nests, but I did
not see anything on the use of Cliff. Admittedly it was a brief search.

I think this is interesting for a couple of reasons, one that House Finches
usually don't nest in cavities (but sometimes do), and the other that there
may not be documentation showing the use of Cliff Swallow nests. At this
time of year many of the nests from last year are broken, and thus cup
shaped like a Barn Swallow nest would be, but each of the three birds we saw
displaying nest building behavior was using a complete, enclosed Cliff nest.
Will be interesting to see if they succeed.

Steve Shultz

Pollen-y Apex NC

Back to top
Date: 3/17/24 6:31 am
Subject: Re: FOS Yellow-throated Warbler
We saw one on the North side of the walking bridge, near the car park.

We also recorded, but not spotted, a Louisiana Waterthrush in the same spot.

-Ben

> On Mar 16, 2024, at 12:53, Chris Canfield <carolinabirds...> wrote:
>
> Bynum in Chatham County NC
> Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 3/17/24 5:30 am
Subject: Please remove me from the email distribution list
Please remove me from the email distribution list
Thanks!
Randee
<randee.l.gordon...>

Back to top
Date: 3/17/24 5:16 am
Subject: FOS Louisiana waterthrush
Heard this morning on the Little River near Hillsborough, NC

<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail__;!!OToaGQ!pJ_uqZnURZsAokDadRVLqyNuahYaJFullskFbFCCOzlY9_GQ601RBTqioidb6S-xQx9B95ikpBXhuqbgHy-F$ >
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail__;!!OToaGQ!pJ_uqZnURZsAokDadRVLqyNuahYaJFullskFbFCCOzlY9_GQ601RBTqioidb6S-xQx9B95ikpBXhuqbgHy-F$ >
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Back to top
Date: 3/16/24 9:54 am
Subject: FOS Yellow-throated Warbler
Bynum in Chatham County NC
Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 3/16/24 9:19 am
Subject: Carolina Bird Club Spring birding weekend
I just want to give a reminder that registration for the Carolina Bird Club birding weekend in Charleston, SC (April 25-28) will be opening soon, at 2PM today. Our meetings are always a lot of fun, so plan to come. Some field trips may fill up quickly so don't delay.

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.carolinabirdclub.org/register/__;!!OToaGQ!p06FCokkyRhW4EQ5TpkwNGbgGAOZqIE8kJZT8fK90AcQcqw_qhHutzgsosSzheUXaF3jPZFAli6y4KMzXKPrXHY$

Charleston's proximity to some of South Carolina's finest and most treasured natural coastal resources allows us to offer trips to habitats ranging from wild, scenic beaches to longleaf pine savannas. We expect excellent birding, and our field trips are being designed to offer participants the opportunity to enjoy the best this region has to offer. We will offer birding trips south to the ACE Basin, north to the Santee Delta, and inland to the Orangeburg Sod Farm. Destinations include the Sea Islands (Kiawah and Seabrook), Charleston Harbor (Pitt St., Patriot's Point, Ft. Moultrie), Cape Romain National Wildlife Refuge, Dewees Island, and Folly Beach area hotspots (including little known Ft. Lamar), state wildlife management areas north and south, Francis Beidler Forest and Pine Bluff (new Audubon SC tract), Black River Cypress Preserve, and Caw Caw Interpretive Center.

--
Kent Fiala

Back to top
Date: 3/15/24 1:28 pm
Subject: Surf Scoters Continue -Riverbend Park
There has been a pair of Surf Scoters at Riverbend Park (northern Catawba
Co) since last Saturday (3/9/24). They are still there today (3/15/24).
They have been pretty easy to see from the platform at the river. Normally
found about 200 yards east of the platform. A closer look can be had by
walking east along the river trail. Much of the time they are feeding
within 20 feet of the bank on the park side of the river. Here is an eBird
checklist from today with a few photos.
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ebird.org/checklist/S164926808__;!!OToaGQ!q24THQWx0XnoWo5yFEg7LVoTDkh80TTOnG4IpCj6nKm23Hibq0KnrjKhievdBg_wkpEDJYKT66-4Qrmmp1t3$

Dwayne
*************
J. Dwayne Martin
Hickory, NC
<redxbill...>

Catawba County Park Superintendent
Riverbend Park - Conover, NC
St Stephens Park - Hickory, NC
<jdmartin...>
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.catawbacountync.gov/depts/parks/__;!!OToaGQ!q24THQWx0XnoWo5yFEg7LVoTDkh80TTOnG4IpCj6nKm23Hibq0KnrjKhievdBg_wkpEDJYKT66-4QqJUgoCf$
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://tempestwx.com/station/24999/__;!!OToaGQ!q24THQWx0XnoWo5yFEg7LVoTDkh80TTOnG4IpCj6nKm23Hibq0KnrjKhievdBg_wkpEDJYKT66-4QvlSC7ag$

Back to top
Date: 3/15/24 12:33 pm
Subject: Say’s Phoebe -Delta South WMA/Union county SC
Is anyone else planning to chase this Say’s Phoebe on Saturday morning?
If so, please let me know when you plan to be onsite.
Thanks,
Kent
R Kent Bedenbaugh
<Rkbbirder...>
803.463.5872
Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 3/14/24 8:18 am
Subject: Butterfly Monitoring Workshop - NC Aquarium-Manteo 3/20/2024
Birders,

For those who are also butterfly enthusiasts or might be interested in learning more about butterflies, on Wednesday 20 Mar 2024 there will be a workshop at the NC Aquarium in Manteo from 1-3pm on the Carolinas Butterfly Monitoring Program (CarBMP).

The workshop will include a PowerPoint presentation indoors on butterfly identification and how to run a fun and easy survey in your area, followed by a walk outdoors to run a mock survey and look for any wild butterflies that might be on the wing. Even if it’s cool outside, you never know what you might see. Surveys with the CarBMP are conducted by volunteer community scientists and contribute to a national database on butterfly populations. Come and join us in documenting Outer Banks and nearby butterflies!

To register and for more information, send an email to Rachel Veal (<Rachel.veal...> <mailto:<Rachel.veal...>) at the Aquarium.

For other workshops around the Carolinas, see:

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.jeffpippen.com/butterflies/carolinasbmp/carbmp-news.htm__;!!OToaGQ!vflWmRi9IybDuFdu96FP_aeOeyzWWiRqwYjEa6LgwJLeQcAFXCXHlv65R7JkebGZhHTsvRLwRAOwUJcCz64Hyi5Y$

Good Butterflying,
Jeff

--
Jeffrey S. Pippen
Mebane, NC & Georgetown University

Back to top
Date: 3/13/24 6:28 pm
Subject: Re: Warbler Index of eBird hotspots in Triangle NC (2023 fall)
I love the idea of a "warbler index"! But perhaps it makes sense to include
some measure of how likely you are to find them on any given outing?

These tables are color-coded based on how likely each warbler is to appear
on a checklist. This is using historical eBird data from 2000 - 2023.

Spring
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.michaelfogleman.com/static/spring-warblers.png__;!!OToaGQ!s-N-xEM7DNrqyBvgVJoCDBCUyYMaeDVIXVi6_H9bohUt9JVZR7AjdBt8BVg06D3l99-bfeJK8HRJEApcuSAY$

Fall
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.michaelfogleman.com/static/fall-warblers.png__;!!OToaGQ!s-N-xEM7DNrqyBvgVJoCDBCUyYMaeDVIXVi6_H9bohUt9JVZR7AjdBt8BVg06D3l99-bfeJK8HRJEGV4Mb-F$

Michael
Cary, NC

On Wed, Mar 13, 2024 at 3:42 PM Steve <sshultz...> wrote:

> Always fun to look at data. And sometimes it paints interesting pictures.
> Thanks for thinking of this.
>
> I will say that most of the places listed are not where I would go if I
> woke up in the morning and said “ I wanna go see some warblers”.
>
> One of the best places to go for fall, warblers, as evidenced by the
> number of birders and photographers on location each morning during
> migration, is not even listed. That would be Ebenezer point out at Jordan
> Lake.
>
> Similarly, I bird the tobacco trail quite a bit, but the amount of habitat
> for migrating warblers is relatively small and I can hit it in just a
> couple of minutes. Birds are either there or not and when they are there,
> they’re generally not there in very large numbers.
>
> Steve Shultz
> Apex NC
>
> > On Mar 13, 2024, at 2:13 PM, Jin Bai <carolinabirds...> wrote:
> >

> > While I did a warbler index comparison for the 2023 spring migration
> season, it's natural to wonder what the list would look like for the fall
> migration season. So I decided to do a warbler index comparison for the
> 2023 fall migration season (see attached images). The Warbler Index is the
> number of warbler species reported at a given eBird hotspot.
> >
> > A lot of changes on the fall list compared to the spring. Some hotspots
> remain in the top 15 and some are ranked high only in the fall. Some
> examples would be Lake Lynn (No.16 in spring and No.2 in fall) and Cape
> Fear River--Buckhorn Road (No. 20 in spring and No.3 in fall). Some
> hotspots that made it to the list were quite unexpected!
> >
> > I hope this list is entertaining and enjoy birding!
> >
> > Jin Bai,
> > Chapel Hill, NC
> > <Warbler index 2023 fall.png>
> > <Warbler index 2023 spring.png>

Back to top
Date: 3/13/24 12:43 pm
From: Steve <sshultz...>

Date: 3/13/24 12:31 pm
Thank you Jin! This is great information.

On Wed, Mar 13, 2024 at 2:09 PM Jin Bai <carolinabirds...> wrote:

> While I did a warbler index comparison for the 2023 spring migration
> season, it's natural to wonder what the list would look like for the fall
> migration season. So I decided to do a warbler index comparison for the
> 2023 fall migration season (see attached images). The Warbler Index is the
> number of warbler species reported at a given eBird hotspot.
>
> A lot of changes on the fall list compared to the spring. Some hotspots
> remain in the top 15 and some are ranked high only in the fall. Some
> examples would be Lake Lynn (No.16 in spring and No.2 in fall) and Cape
> Fear River--Buckhorn Road (No. 20 in spring and No.3 in fall). Some
> hotspots that made it to the list were quite unexpected!
>
> I hope this list is entertaining and enjoy birding!
>
> Jin Bai,
> Chapel Hill, NC

Back to top

Date: 3/12/24 11:42 am
Subject: Butterflies in Wake County
I visited Anderson Point Park in east Raleigh today, March 12, mostly to
check on a vernal pool. But I did take 45 minutes around noon to check for
butterflies visiting the Chickasaw Plum grove, which was in full bloom. I
was glad I did.

4 azures
1 Great Purple Hairstreak
1 White-M Hairstreak
2 Gray Hairstreak
1 Juvenal's Duskywing

John Connors
Raleigh

Back to top
Date: 3/12/24 6:40 am
Subject: Re: Warm winter question
Thank you, Kelli. That is good information on cold weather anomalies like a polar vortex.

Then I ran across this 2021 study by Audubon and Clemson looking at the warming side using eBird and Christmas Bird Count data. It is good to know our records aren't just for fun.

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.audubon.org/news/ducks-southern-us-have-shifted-northward-due-temperature-changes-attributed__;!!OToaGQ!uuxZgzZrRB6ZZ1t6FNTUq5Oiv7t8KKMXg6Xiw-DdipDVZkffKFSFRVBTLyMSnhXe2RuR4M2h3hBXY43RJoWRoOY$

Other recent studies:
2019 https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://cascprojects.org/*/project/4f83509de4b0e84f60868124/5f04a51b82ce0afb2448fbf0__;Iw!!OToaGQ!uuxZgzZrRB6ZZ1t6FNTUq5Oiv7t8KKMXg6Xiw-DdipDVZkffKFSFRVBTLyMSnhXe2RuR4M2h3hBXY43RAx8-4jk$

2023 (from a FWS POV)https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.fws.gov/story/2023-02/ducks-too-warm-pond__;!!OToaGQ!uuxZgzZrRB6ZZ1t6FNTUq5Oiv7t8KKMXg6Xiw-DdipDVZkffKFSFRVBTLyMSnhXe2RuR4M2h3hBXY43Rq-Bj9AI$

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://phys.org/news/2023-04-early-nesting-ducks-due-climate.html__;!!OToaGQ!uuxZgzZrRB6ZZ1t6FNTUq5Oiv7t8KKMXg6Xiw-DdipDVZkffKFSFRVBTLyMSnhXe2RuR4M2h3hBXY43R-L-o00c$

Link to more recent studies on other wildlife https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.usgs.gov/programs/climate-adaptation-science-centers/publications__;!!OToaGQ!uuxZgzZrRB6ZZ1t6FNTUq5Oiv7t8KKMXg6Xiw-DdipDVZkffKFSFRVBTLyMSnhXe2RuR4M2h3hBXY43RAQJ5o20$

Thanks again,

Tim Lewis

________________________________
Date: 3/11/24 1:02 pm
Subject: Yellow Warbler continues (>1 month) in Clemson, SC
Good Afternoon. The male Yellow Warbler that was first observed on February
8th continues to hang around the SCDNR/Clemson Univ. complex known as the
"Cherry Farm" in Clemson, SC. I see him once or twice a week (probably more
if I were there every day and the weather cooperated). He's now been
through a few weather fronts; every time I think he has finally departed,
I'll find him again. Interesting bird and a real gem when bright yellow is
otherwise pretty scarce.

Kevin Kubach
Greenville/Clemson, SC

Back to top
Date: 3/11/24 10:53 am
Subject: Re: To all eBird users
While we're on the topic of eBird, please put this on your calendar, and don't panic:

FYI, Cornell Lab Services including eBird will be down March 19-21, 2024 for a server migration. This includes submitting checklists, accessing the eBird site and rare bird alert emails.

Link to details here:

https://ebird.org/news/server-migration-2024

Chris Hill, Ph.D.
Professor
Biology Department
Coastal Carolina University
Office: Science2 207H
(843) 349-2567
email: <chill...>

> [...]
>> Your Subscription <https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Furldefense.com%2Fv3%2F__https%3A%2F%2Fgroups.io%2Fg%2Fgcbirdclub%2Feditsub%2F1619879__%3B!!OToaGQ!tMJlc8Ld-hWa5uF3ZNkjil93DJ30UlsgHC38vL7q_3O4wnRkJeveTvv6-uoDYpD55gj9ul__AJE48ywNdLXDksCl6A%24&data=05%7C02%<7Cchill...>%7C7d616be95662445ff7ba08dc41e14c1f%7Cbf1f856b8ef84e52be9387d3c3622797%7C0%7C0%7C638457683120341925%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C0%7C%7C%7C&sdata=GWj3LdmI0y%2BlzR7sDsvs8iXglvSQmv72ZoDGuW97hVg%3D&reserved=0> | Contact Group Owner <mailto:gcbirdclub+<owner...> | Unsubscribe <https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Furldefense.com%2Fv3%2F__https%3A%2F%2Fgroups.io%2Fg%2Fgcbirdclub%2Funsub__%3B!!OToaGQ!tMJlc8Ld-hWa5uF3ZNkjil93DJ30UlsgHC38vL7q_3O4wnRkJeveTvv6-uoDYpD55gj9ul__AJE48ywNdLUydL8iHA%24&data=05%7C02%<7Cchill...>%7C7d616be95662445ff7ba08dc41e14c1f%7Cbf1f856b8ef84e52be9387d3c3622797%7C0%7C0%7C638457683120354152%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C0%7C%7C%7C&sdata=VExZ9kaVrplA8%2B0Jq3YtoNMTkPJ7wmVxnudis9Ix3i4%3D&reserved=0> [<paulserridge...> <mailto:<paulserridge...>]

Back to top
Date: 3/11/24 8:38 am
Kay,
Thanks.
I should have stated that I use a Google Pixel phone - Android system.

Paul

Paul Serridge
Greenville, SC

Back to top

Date: 3/11/24 6:21 am

On Monday, March 11, 2024 at 07:45:14 AM EDT, Paul Serridge" (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...> wrote:

Good morning,
If you have not updated your packs on the eBird Mobile app since the most recent taxonomic update, please do so.Log into eBird on your mobile device and click on the 3 green horizontal bars in the top left hand corner.Then click on "Packs" and update all that need updating.That will ensure that your packs are consistent with the latest taxonomy.
Thanks,
Paul
Paul Serridge, Greenville, SC
_._,_._,_Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#6449) | Reply To Sender | Reply To Group | Mute This Topic| New Topic
Your Subscription |Contact Group Owner |Unsubscribe [<paulserridge...>]

_._,_._,_

Back to top
Date: 3/11/24 5:10 am
Subject: Re: Birding Hotspots website (No sightings)
WOW!!! Thanks for contributing to this...
Yes I have had the same experience- when we are very familiar with an area we tend to send messages geared towards people who also understand where this location is and the accommodations.... and having never been there i get lost.
I always use my map tool on the ebird ap and find some way to indicate exactly where i located the bird on the map -like making a star while walking in the immediate vicinity etc. and try to write as much details in the bird description tool.
When we are very familiar with a situation we tend to forgo thinking about process of all the steps required to get there.
This should be helpful.
One question.. I seem to recall that for sensitive species we had a discussion about withholding information to protect the species, but i dont recall the ethical policy on that- ie what defines where one does not give precise locations?

Kenneth A. Lipshy MD FACS

https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.crisismanagementleadership.com__;!!OToaGQ!pOAssFRDm49LoIcmNXLVXszvrJU6XFstLQpt3tdCPWnDn4YGssX1zvhzJusOJkLnQ1mA3c60inQGe7ZhYYc2bQ$ <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.crisismanagementleadership.com/__;!!OToaGQ!pOAssFRDm49LoIcmNXLVXszvrJU6XFstLQpt3tdCPWnDn4YGssX1zvhzJusOJkLnQ1mA3c60inQGe7Za1ti-lg$ >

https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.crisislead.blogspot.com__;!!OToaGQ!pOAssFRDm49LoIcmNXLVXszvrJU6XFstLQpt3tdCPWnDn4YGssX1zvhzJusOJkLnQ1mA3c60inQGe7bE6ZwdrQ$ <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.crisislead.blogspot.com/__;!!OToaGQ!pOAssFRDm49LoIcmNXLVXszvrJU6XFstLQpt3tdCPWnDn4YGssX1zvhzJusOJkLnQ1mA3c60inQGe7bJYypOqQ$ >

________________________________
Bob Lewis mentioned the website birdinghotspots.org<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://birdinghotspots.org__;!!OToaGQ!vEH6ePrjtYAsMaWCHWvVEWt62Dxff7TYtxsjh1R4q07LiY-E_xDyZGDOot9ueO01tP8-3Vt4bTcPEuBgHLQj6AuXZUrL0s8$> about a week ago, and I wanted to provide a little more info on that. I heard about it myself on the Life List birding podcast (https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://lifelistpodcast.com/__;!!OToaGQ!pOAssFRDm49LoIcmNXLVXszvrJU6XFstLQpt3tdCPWnDn4YGssX1zvhzJusOJkLnQ1mA3c60inQGe7YnSVMG2g$ <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://lifelistpodcast.com/__;!!OToaGQ!vEH6ePrjtYAsMaWCHWvVEWt62Dxff7TYtxsjh1R4q07LiY-E_xDyZGDOot9ueO01tP8-3Vt4bTcPEuBgHLQj6AuXTBGCunM$>) and volunteered to start editing hotspots. The website was started by Ken Ostermiller and Adam Jackson, and it has great potential to help traveling birders out. I'm sure I'm not the only one that's been confused by where to go when they arrived at an ebird hotspot. With this website, you can search for the hotspot you are interested in, and if someone has contributed to it, you can find out where to park, where to bird, what to look for, if there's a fee, etc. It's a huge project, but anyone can suggest edits, so this forum is a great place to ask for help.

If you are interested in providing information, it's quite simple. Just go to the website: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://birdinghotspots.org/region/US-NC__;!!OToaGQ!pOAssFRDm49LoIcmNXLVXszvrJU6XFstLQpt3tdCPWnDn4YGssX1zvhzJusOJkLnQ1mA3c60inQGe7Y-5i555g$ <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://birdinghotspots.org/region/US-NC__;!!OToaGQ!vEH6ePrjtYAsMaWCHWvVEWt62Dxff7TYtxsjh1R4q07LiY-E_xDyZGDOot9ueO01tP8-3Vt4bTcPEuBgHLQj6AuXvGVsa4g$> and click the "Explore Hotspots" on the upper right. Then search for the hotspot you would like to suggest edits for, and then simply click on "Suggest Edit" and put in what info you can. I would ask that if you do suggest edits, It's most helpful to provide a little bit of information on the location other than just checking whether or not the location has restrooms. I think adding information in the section on "Tips for Birding" is the most helpful, as the editors may not specifically know that spot, as well as the "About this Location," especially if parking is not immediately obvious.

And that's really about it! Hope to see many suggestions over the coming months. One last comment, I know the listserv can behave strangely with website links, so if the link I said to go to does not work, it should be relatively simple to websearch it. If you Google Birding Hotspots, it is the second result after Ebird's Explore Hotspots.

Thanks and good birding!
Andrew Thornton
Wanchese, NC

Back to top
Date: 3/11/24 4:45 am
Subject: To all eBird users

Date: 3/10/24 3:11 pm
Subject: Birds of Brazil: pantanal needed
Hey everyone,

I’m having a hard time online finding the book I need for my upcoming trip. It’s birds of the pantanal with the hyacinth macaws on the cover. I’m happy to buy it from any of you that have it for $40.
Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 3/9/24 11:38 am
Hello birders,

Bob Lewis mentioned the website birdinghotspots.org about a week ago, and I
wanted to provide a little more info on that. I heard about it myself on
the Life List birding podcast (https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://lifelistpodcast.com/__;!!OToaGQ!vEH6ePrjtYAsMaWCHWvVEWt62Dxff7TYtxsjh1R4q07LiY-E_xDyZGDOot9ueO01tP8-3Vt4bTcPEuBgHLQj6AuXTBGCunM$ ) and

to the website: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://birdinghotspots.org/region/US-NC__;!!OToaGQ!vEH6ePrjtYAsMaWCHWvVEWt62Dxff7TYtxsjh1R4q07LiY-E_xDyZGDOot9ueO01tP8-3Vt4bTcPEuBgHLQj6AuXvGVsa4g$ and click the

Date: 3/8/24 5:50 am
Subject: Whip-poor-wills
Good Morning. I counted five Whip-poor-wills over a distance of 1.5 miles this morning at a site in the Sumter National Forest in Laurens County in the Piedmont of SC. Last year on this date I counted 15! on the same route and they have arrived here as early as March 4th (2021).

Kevin Kubach
Greenville, SC

Back to top
Date: 3/7/24 4:20 am
Subject: Change my email address
Change my email address to: <vanjon70...>

Van Jones

Back to top
Date: 3/6/24 3:45 pm
Subject: American Flamingo, Santee Coastal Reserve, Charleston County, SC
An American Flamingo was photographed and reported from Santee Coastal
Reserve three days ago. It may have been observed yesterday, but no one
there uses eBird or reports on any birding networking sites. A
photographer took photos and posted to Instagram, that's where the photos
and video are. The bird is apparently in the Cape Trail section of the
SCR, the area that is now open and which was closed most of the winter.
Maps of the area are at the various kiosks on site. Comments on Instagram
asked about location within the Cape section, none was given.

--

<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail__;!!OToaGQ!v6wxlKTD3xUWf8vYN0dYIeJb1V8zLRhH0i2ljUxbfl6DW3eIXVM3A60a5ijtabnuxFwK_Rby7Fa-sp043Fz5$ >

Date: 3/6/24 2:59 pm
Subject: White-faced Ibis, Santee Coastal Reserve, South Carolina
A White-faced Ibis was relocated at Santee Coastal Reserve in McCellanville SC today.
It was discovered yesterday near the boat landing, behind the office by Patrick Coy. Photos in ebird.
Pam Ford
Charleston SC

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 3/4/24 4:09 pm
Subject: FYI -- Two Monk Parakeets at a Dunn, NC, feeder
Though a non-countable species, Monk Parakeet reports in the Carolinas have
been very rare in the last few decades. Darren Anderson sent a photo to
Tom Howard, and he forwarded it to me. I have posted it on Facebook
Carolina Rare Birds, though it might not be totally appropriate there, as
being a non-native species. He took the photo on Sunday, March 3.

There used to be an "established" breeding population, with visible nests,
in eastern Brunswick County, and at a site in the mountains. There have
been a few isolated records also. This pair likely represents a single
escape event, as it is highly unlikely for two of them to simply "find"
each other.

Harry LeGrand
Raleigh

Back to top
Date: 3/4/24 12:04 pm
Subject: Warbler Index from Triangle of NC (2023 spring migration season)
I have thought about looking at the diversity of warbler species observed
during migration seasons for a while. Today I gave it a try for the
previous spring migration season in 2023. The Warbler Index is simply the
number of warbler species (*Parulidae*) reported to eBird at a given
hotspot.

The attached image is the top 15 eBird hotspots for the Warbler Index last
spring in the Triangle of NC (Orange, Durham, Wake, Chatham). Some hotspots
are expected to see on this list and some are quite interesting to see. The
highest was 28 species from Brumley N, followed by 25 species from Old
Bynum Bridge and 23 species from three hotspots that are tied.

There are certainly many limitations to this list such as uneven
sampling efforts between hotspots and year-to-year variations. But I think
this is still interesting to look at and may be helpful to local birders
and birders visiting the area for this upcoming spring migration season.
Happy birding!

--
Jin Bai
Chapel Hill, NC

Back to top
Date: 3/2/24 2:02 pm
Subject: Re: Attracting goldfinches
I get a few goldfinches periodically all year, but I really get them after January when the local foods they normally eat are all gone. I always have sunflower seed, which they consume by the ton. Ditto the house finches and pine siskins (arrived three weeks ago). You may simply have too good a wild choice!

Elizabeth Faison
Boone, NC
________________________________
Date: 3/2/24 9:39 am
Lordy! They love sunflowers!
When i moved here the land across from me (about 30 acres?) was mostly wheat with scattered bush and trees.
It’s mostly been replaced with sunflowers.
The volume of birds has skyrocketed! Goldfinches by the hundreds. Buntings grosbeaks. … even common yellow throats are increasing. The wintering Savannah sparrows are also more numerous
Only surprise is the Blackbirds have not increased locally..
Kenneth Lipshy
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://Www.crisismanagementleadership.com__;!!OToaGQ!oh8B_LuVRvQiLwtZn-C9nxU2kY8ccRT9xoxOWgA_FedbYPwojBDc_dT8c92uE7IVFqdjh2bX6dIJ383646jwVA$
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://Www.crisislead.blogspot.com__;!!OToaGQ!oh8B_LuVRvQiLwtZn-C9nxU2kY8ccRT9xoxOWgA_FedbYPwojBDc_dT8c92uE7IVFqdjh2bX6dIJ383uGYabWQ$

> On Mar 2, 2024, at 8:59 AM, Betsy Kane <carolinabirds...> wrote:
>
> I occasionally hear goldfinches flying over my place but they never stop at my feeders. I’ve tried these things to invite them:
>
> putting (fresh) nyjer seed out,
>
> hanging the tube feeders that have “upside-down” ports that only goldfinches and chickadees can access,
>
> growing asteraceae such as coneflowers, New England asters, and brown-eyed susans in the flower beds
>
> But nothing has brought them in closer.
>
> Does anyone have a good tip? Would sunflowers work?
>
> It’s a little thing, but I love them so.
>
> Betsy Kane
> Washington, N.C.

Back to top

Date: 3/1/24 12:02 pm
Subject: Re: Apple photo app doubles as bird identification tool
I have a digiscoped picture of a sword-billed hummingbird I took in
Colombia recently. It identified it as Anna’s or black-chinned

On Fri, Mar 1, 2024 at 12:52 PM Linda Foster <carolinabirds...> wrote:

> Looks like it needs to be recent photos and not older ones, I learned from
> trying it out. Linda
>

> *Linda C Foster*
>

> On Fri, Mar 1, 2024 at 12:17 PM Kent Fiala <carolinabirds...> wrote:
>
>> Similarly on Android, the Google Photos app has a button to send a photo
>> to the Google Lens app, which will identify birds. I don't usually keep
>> bird photos on my phone so I hadn't played with it before and had to copy a
>> few to try it out. It did a fairly ok job.
>>
>> Kent Fiala
>>
>> On 3/1/2024 8:59 AM, Steve wrote:
>>

>> Hope all are ending a wonderful week!
>>
>> Last evening I found something on Apple devices that the kids out there
>> probably have been playing with for months, but as a person who prefers to
>> spend as little time as possible in front of a screen, I just discovered.
>>
>> While loading some pictures from last week’s quick zip to Ecuador, I
>> noticed a new icon on the upper right of the screen while in the “photos”
>> app. The icon is a blue circle with a lower case “i” and a couple of
>> sparkly stars. This is the “more information” icon that can try and
>> connect a photo to (sometimes) interesting results on the web.
>>
>> But I noticed that when I had a bird photo in context, the icon changed
>> to that of a bird (so it clearly recognized the photo was a bird). That’s
>> cool, but I realized that when I selected the icon, the system had the
>> ability to actually identify the bird of which I took a photo. Cute parlor
>> trick. So I tried again. Yep, correct identification. In fact, it was
>> better at identifying the species than Merlin was in identifying by sound
>> (by the way, Merlin gets only a C- in Ecuador, it could not identify, or
>> even recognize the existence of, most species.)
>>
>> I tried the photo trick with a number of species, and the AI got the
>> right identification nearly all the time, the only time it seemed to
>> struggle was with some of the hummingbirds.
>>
>> In one case it returned either a European Robin or an Ochre-breasted
>> Antpitta, at which point I realized that the antpitta (“Shakira” in this
>> case) does look a lot like the robin in the pic I took.
>>
>> Will be neat to play with.
>>
>> Steve Shultz
>>
>> Apex NC, a certified antpitta-free zone.

Back to top
Date: 3/1/24 9:52 am

Date: 3/1/24 9:17 am

Date: 3/1/24 8:46 am
From: Leon Galis <lgalis...>
All,

I have an iPhone 15 Pro, and the button is at the bottom of the screen in the Photos app, not the top. On my phone, the button is second from the right, next to the delete button. Playing around with it for a few minutes, I found that you need a really good photo for the feature to work. And even then, I had to pull up several good pics of a yellow-bellied sapsucker before the app would get more specific than “bird.” Still, pretty cool to have that capability.

Leon Galis
Athens, GA

Date: 3/1/24 8:09 am

Date: 3/1/24 7:56 am
From: Ann Maddock <amaddock...>
Yes, it works but don’t depend on it for all birds, of course.
I just tried it on three species of gulls and it only got one correct.

So it is helpful to get you in the right direction- but don’t depend on it.

*https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.flyingjewels.org__;!!OToaGQ!swPywG5G_aRP_JjkFaM9JbeDCiC4zvPvCfjHNKvGO3xSyjwvTvwd_sa_POqkw5Gd_rKLH03gzhJ0le1z9g1WtIHZ68pt$ <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.flyingjewels.org/__;!!OToaGQ!swPywG5G_aRP_JjkFaM9JbeDCiC4zvPvCfjHNKvGO3xSyjwvTvwd_sa_POqkw5Gd_rKLH03gzhJ0le1z9g1WtAvWYfRe$ > *

Ann Maddock
Hatteras Island, NC
919.600.4945

Date: 3/1/24 7:02 am
Subject: Re: Birding hotspots web site
I am in the beginning stages of getting this set up for SC. It seems like a great compliment to eBird and can offer birders very specific information for hotspots that eBird currently does not provide.

Aaron Given
Charleston, SC
________________________________
I just came upon this site. Looks interesting.

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://birdinghotspots.org/__;!!OToaGQ!sM5QOFEcmPoLHxOcdfdUq58LHfhlJ5N_9TBw2f_uUueX0Vs477E2J2I7HGruDz8Lb5XqU-QNl44Cv3lYKqY$

Bob Lewis
Durham NC

Back to top

Date: 3/1/24 6:12 am

Date: 3/1/24 6:00 am
From: Steve <sshultz...>

> Hope all are ending a wonderful week!
>
> Last evening I found something on Apple devices that the kids out there probably have been playing with for months, but as a person who prefers to spend as little time as possible in front of a screen, I just discovered.
>
> While loading some pictures from last week’s quick zip to Ecuador, I noticed a new icon on the upper right of the screen while in the “photos” app. The icon is a blue circle with a lower case “i” and a couple of sparkly stars. This is the “more information” icon that can try and connect a photo to (sometimes) interesting results on the web.
>
> But I noticed that when I had a bird photo in context, the icon changed to that of a bird (so it clearly recognized the photo was a bird). That’s cool, but I realized that when I selected the icon, the system had the ability to actually identify the bird of which I took a photo. Cute parlor trick. So I tried again. Yep, correct identification. In fact, it was better at identifying the species than Merlin was in identifying by sound (by the way, Merlin gets only a C- in Ecuador, it could not identify, or even recognize the existence of, most species.)
>
> I tried the photo trick with a number of species, and the AI got the right identification nearly all the time, the only time it seemed to struggle was with some of the hummingbirds.
>
> In one case it returned either a European Robin or an Ochre-breasted Antpitta, at which point I realized that the antpitta (“Shakira” in this case) does look a lot like the robin in the pic I took.
>
> Will be neat to play with.
>
> Steve Shultz

Apex NC, a certified antpitta-free zone.

Join us on Facebook!