easternsierrabirds
Received From Subject
7/14/18 8:42 am Jerry Zatorski <jerryzat...> ESbirds: Rufous Hummingbird in Paradise
7/10/18 9:19 pm Allan Schoenherr <ASchoenherr...> ESbirds: Rose-breasted Grossbeak
7/10/18 10:29 am Russell Kokx <kokxbio...> ESbirds: Male Indigo Bunting Lone Pine plus hybrid.
6/26/18 2:13 pm Russell Kokx <kokxbio...> ESbirds: Hatch year vermilion flycatcher, lazulix indigo bunting, white-headed woodpeckerss
6/22/18 11:43 am <henry.feilen143...> ESbirds: Re: Black Backed Woodpecker
6/18/18 3:08 pm Frances Oliver <hummer52...> ESbirds: 2018 VENTURA WFO CONFERENCE REGISTRATION NOW OPEN

Back to top
Date: 7/14/18 8:42 am
From: Jerry Zatorski <jerryzat...>
Subject: ESbirds: Rufous Hummingbird in Paradise
This morning had my FOF male RUHU

J Zatorski

Back to top
Date: 7/10/18 9:19 pm
From: Allan Schoenherr <ASchoenherr...>
Subject: ESbirds: Rose-breasted Grossbeak
He is back. A Rose-breasted Grossbeak has visited our hummingbird feeder this week. I reported one a couple of weeks ago. No way to tell if it is the same bird.

I have a home up at 8400 feet elevation on the South Fork of Bishop Creek. Over the years I have reported bird sightings so you may have a record of my email. I live up here during the summer and in Laguna Beach during the winter. Therefore my Audubon Chapter is Sea and Sage in Orange County.

Allan Schoenherr[cid:<image003.jpg...>]

Back to top
Date: 7/10/18 10:29 am
From: Russell Kokx <kokxbio...>
Subject: ESbirds: Male Indigo Bunting Lone Pine plus hybrid.
This morning (07:55) in the Northwest corner of Edwards field (The forested
area) there was an adult male indigo bunting in the cottonwoods. Also the
idigo x lazuli hybrid and several "stock" lazuli buntings were present. I
suspect there is nesting in several areas of dense wild rose patches. The
desert olives are in fruit and there were least 10 phainopeplas with some
juveniles. Also blue grosbeak, bullocks oriole and a western tanager male
which suprised me.
*Dangers and annoyances:*
There is a large bull that looks 'jacked" on steroids roaming about he
seems a bit grumpy, no other cattle are present. This corner of Edward's
field is currently flooded 2-3 inches deep and I counted no less than 10
skunks this morning.

Back to top
Date: 6/26/18 2:13 pm
From: Russell Kokx <kokxbio...>
Subject: ESbirds: Hatch year vermilion flycatcher, lazulix indigo bunting, white-headed woodpeckerss
This morning at the sports Complex (0930) there was an adult male
vermilion flycatcher feeding a hatch year vermilion flycatcher, so the pair
that has been there all spring has likely produced at least one off spring.
The lazuli x indigo bunting continues in the NW corner of Edward's field.
White-headed woodpeckers have been seen on every visit I have made to the
Whitney Portal parking areas this weeekend and for the last two months.

Back to top
Date: 6/22/18 11:43 am
From: <henry.feilen143...>
Subject: ESbirds: Re: Black Backed Woodpecker
Sorry I don't quite understand where to post a reply. Anyhow, I hadn't
seen this post but took a hike up to the craters on afternoon Tue 6/19 and
returned on wed morning 6/20. About 1/4 of the way up the first trail
(before you enter the parking area) I had the Black Backs and their nest
with a well developed chick looking out the hole in one of the dead trees
marked with blue paint ( I know there are many). Spent over 2 hours on Wed
watching and listening to these guys. FABULOUS. Didn't want to come
home. The tree is in a small group of dead trees about half way in between
the 2 trails to the craters. The nest hole is on the downhill/south? side
of the tree about 15 ft or so up. Going up the first trail it is to the
right and well before you get to the very large downed tree that was cut to
clear the trail. Difficult to describe exactly. Follow the hammering of
the parents. Best to see in the early to mid morning when the hole is in
the sun. Afterwards it is in dark shadows. Just wish I had recorded video
w/ sound. Got lots of stills. If I can be of any further help contact me
at home <henry.feilen...> or call 909-325 2154.

On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 9:52:53 PM UTC-7, <wkilli......> wrote:

> Black Backed Woodpecker on the Inyo Crater trail around noon 12 June 2018.

Back to top
Date: 6/18/18 3:08 pm
From: Frances Oliver <hummer52...>
Subject: ESbirds: 2018 VENTURA WFO CONFERENCE REGISTRATION NOW OPEN
WFO is looking forward to having you join us in Ventura for this year’s conference. We have an excellent lineup of workshops and field trips, including two, all-day pelagic trips to Santa Cruz Island (for Island Scrub-Jay) and pelagic waters beyond. The banquet's keynote speaker is David Ainley, of H.T. Harvey & Associates, whose address will be: “Population dynamics of seabirds in response to their prey, in the Gulf of the Farallones, 1980s to the present.” The plenary speaker at the Science Sessions will be Paul Collins from the Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History. You'll enjoy hearing and seeing Nathan Pieplow's sound quiz and Ed Harper’s photographic quiz. Meeting this year’s group of enthusiastic Youth Scholars is always heartwarming and fun!

To register please click on the button on the WFO page at:
https://www.westernfieldornithologists.org/conference.php

Or register by using this url:
https://www.regonline.com/ventura2018mems

Frances