easternsierrabirds
Received From Subject
1/16/18 1:15 pm 'Frances Oliver' via EasternSierraBirds <easternsierrabirds...> ESbirds: SD Bird Festival Scholarship opportunity for Young Birders
1/15/18 9:07 pm 'Len Hunter' via EasternSierraBirds <easternsierrabirds...> ESbirds: rough-legged hawk------north of Laws
1/15/18 5:40 pm Ron Overholtz <overholtzart...> ESbirds: Rough-legged Hawk at Laws
1/12/18 3:17 pm Jerry Zatorski <jerryzat...> Re: ESbirds: Common Redpoll- Aspendell
1/12/18 10:52 am Debbie House <roadkill23...> ESbirds: Common Redpoll- Aspendell
1/11/18 7:13 pm Debbie <roadkill23...> ESbirds: Pacific Loons and others - Crowley
1/10/18 1:37 pm Ron Overholtz <overholtzart...> ESbirds: Common Redpoll Continues in Aspendell
1/8/18 12:50 pm Susan Steele <steele7...> ESbirds: Common Redpoll
1/3/18 8:00 pm Charlie Massieon <ccmassieon...> ESbirds: Short-eared Owl
12/31/17 1:42 pm Chris Howard <chris93514...> ESbirds: Bishop Christmas Bird Count 2017 Results

Back to top
Date: 1/16/18 1:15 pm
From: 'Frances Oliver' via EasternSierraBirds <easternsierrabirds...>
Subject: ESbirds: SD Bird Festival Scholarship opportunity for Young Birders
Forwarding to the list serve from Elisa Yang:

Hi All,

San Diego Bird Festival (under San Diego Audubon) is providing five scholarships of $300 each for California Young Birders Club members and young birders in other organizations.

The festival runs from February 21-25 and is renowned around the nation, with "big names" attending yearly. This year, Kevin McGowan, Paul Bannick, Bill Thompson III, and Julie Zickefoose giving workshops and leading field trips.

In addition to $300, scholarship recipients will receive free admission to a social event specially tailored for young birders and a Sunday pelagic trip.

To apply, visit the below link:
https://californiayoungbirders.weebly.com/scholarships.html

The application date is January 23rd, so don't wait to apply! If there's a young birder you think would be interested in attending the festival, feel free to forward them this email.

Thanks,

Elisa Yang
Mission Viejo, CA

Back to top
Date: 1/15/18 9:07 pm
From: 'Len Hunter' via EasternSierraBirds <easternsierrabirds...>
Subject: ESbirds: rough-legged hawk------north of Laws
Len Hunter

Back to top
Date: 1/15/18 5:40 pm
From: Ron Overholtz <overholtzart...>
Subject: ESbirds: Rough-legged Hawk at Laws
We came out to look for the Short-eared Owls and Lynn and Renee Hunter found a Rough-legged Hawk. It was displaced by a Red-tail but then landed in a tree near us again when it was nearly dark. At about 5:25 PM, with just enough light, we saw one Short-eared Owl and heard one other.

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 1/12/18 3:17 pm
From: Jerry Zatorski <jerryzat...>
Subject: Re: ESbirds: Common Redpoll- Aspendell
Saw the Common Redpoll at around 11:30 AM in with a flock of Pine Siskin.

J. Zatorski

On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 10:52 AM, Debbie House <roadkill23...>
wrote:

> The Redpoll is still present in Aspendell. Chris Allen and I arrived at
> 7:20 am and saw the bird come it at 9:00 am after the rosy-finches and
> Lesser Goldinches showed up.
>
> Debbie
>
> --
>
> ---
> msgid/easternsierrabirds/FB97CE99-70CD-4260-9D9A-
> <31F51B0854F0...>

Back to top
Date: 1/12/18 10:52 am
From: Debbie House <roadkill23...>
Subject: ESbirds: Common Redpoll- Aspendell

Date: 1/11/18 7:13 pm
From: Debbie <roadkill23...>
Subject: ESbirds: Pacific Loons and others - Crowley
There are some interesting birds around at Crowley, especially for January. Crowley is completely ice-free and there are still many waterbirds around. Today from the marina I saw two Pacific Loons. In the delta there was a male Cinnamon Teal. At the alkali ponds there 3 Great Egrets, several Hooded Mergansers (I saw five, but there may have been more).

Debbie House

Back to top
Date: 1/10/18 1:37 pm
From: Ron Overholtz <overholtzart...>
Subject: ESbirds: Common Redpoll Continues in Aspendell
It took nearly two hours but the Common Redpoll finally appeared together with a small flock of Lesser Goldfinches. The Pine Siskins came and went several times during that time frame. We saw it around 12:30.

Back to top
Date: 1/8/18 12:50 pm
From: Susan Steele <steele7...>
Subject: ESbirds: Common Redpoll
All, there is a common redpoll in Aspendell. It has been seen visiting feeders on Manzanita.

It is also snowing heavily in Aspendell and 1-2', yes feet,are expected in the next two days so be prepared.

Susan

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 1/3/18 8:00 pm
From: Charlie Massieon <ccmassieon...>
Subject: ESbirds: Short-eared Owl
Rosanne and Tom Higley, Laura Mogg and I went to Joe Smith Road north of
Laws to look for the Short-eared Owls found by Eric Smith and also reported
by Chris and Rosie Howard. We found them at dusk (Jan 3rd), the first one
about 1/4 miles south of Jean Blanc Road crossing Joe Smith Road. They
appeared about 5pm, and began calling about 10 minutes later. We left at
5:20 when it was too dark to see them, but they were still flying and
calling. We saw at least three individuals. They were mostly between Joe
Smith and US 6, but occasionally crossed to the west. Too dark/far to
photograph, although a Ferruginous Hawk posed for me very nicely earlier in
the evening.

There were also 10 hawks perched on the irrigation sprinklers when we
arrived at 4:30, a mix of red-tailed and ferruginous. Several Northern
Harriers in flight, too.

Charlie Massieon

Back to top
Date: 12/31/17 1:42 pm
From: Chris Howard <chris93514...>
Subject: ESbirds: Bishop Christmas Bird Count 2017 Results
The Bishop Christmas Bird Count is a one-day effort sponsored by the
Eastern Sierra Audubon Society to tally all the birds in the Bishop area.
The 36th annual Bishop CBC was held December 16, 2017. Sixty-two birders
counted every bird in the fixed 15-mile diameter CBC circle centered on the
intersection of Ed Powers Road and Red Hill Road. The circle extends to
Round Valley School, includes Pleasant Valley Reservoir, the Owens River
along Chalk Bluff to Laws and south to East Line Street, south to New
Wilkerson, all of downtown Bishop and West Bishop, up Bishop Creek to Big
Trees Campground, and the Buttermilks.

The weather this year was less than ideal with strong 25 mph north winds
all day long, with frequent gusts to between 30 mph and 40 mph. The
temperature at dawn was 47F, gradually dropping through the day to 37F at
sunset. Skies were overcast in the morning, clearing in the afternoon.
Birders in ten teams tallied a respectable 103 species with a total of
11,720 individual birds. Overall, bird numbers and diversity were below
average, due in part to the difficulty finding birds in such windy
conditions. Open water and creeks were not frozen, so waterfowl numbers
were found in reasonable numbers.

There was a good selection of rare birds, notably two species never
recorded on the Bishop CBC: 1) a BOHEMIAN WAXWING feeding on Bradford Pear
in the Dixon subdivision, and 2) a SUMMER TANAGER at the Bishop Country
Club. BOHEMIAN WAXWING, the northern cousin of Cedar Waxwing, rarely stray
south into California. Indeed, this bird is the only individual recorded so
far in California this winter. The SUMMER TANAGER was a mustard-yellow
female with some subtle reddish tones, plumage characteristics consistent
with the race from the eastern United States. The Bishop Country Club
hosted a flock of four geese of three species, one GREATER WHITE-FRONTED
GOOSE, one SNOW GOOSE, AND two “Aleutian” CACKLING GOOSE. The MALLARD
tally hit a new high count of 884 birds. NORTHERN PINTAIL also reached a
high count of 20 birds. A COMMON LOON at Pleasant Valley Reservoir was
unexpected as this species has only been recorded on 5 previous counts.
NORTHERN HARRIER reached a new high count with 29 individuals. A BURROWING
OWL in an abandoned ditch north of Bishop made an appearance for the third
consecutive year. ANNA’S HUMMINGBIRDS continue their prevalence, this year
setting a new high count of 18 birds. A male COSTA’S HUMMINGBIRD was at a
feeder in New Wilkerson where it has been seen in previous years. Forty-one
AMERICAN KESTRELS were tallied, a new high count. A PEREGRINE FALCON made
an appearance over Meadowcreek subdivision the day before the count but was
not located on count day. BLACK PHOEBE hit a new high count with 53 birds
observed. For only the second Bishop CBC, an EASTERN PHOEBE was found. This
bird has been present in a McLaren backyard since mid-October and may
attempt to over-winter. Bluebird trends are noteworthy: WESTERN BLUEBIRDS
are on the rise with a new high count of 86 birds, while MOUNTAIN BLUEBIRDS
continue to decline with only 15 birds. HERMIT THRUSH reached a new high
with 7 birds observed.

Many thanks to all the talented and generous volunteers who make the Bishop
CBC possible! A special thank goes to Steve and staff at the Bishop Country
Club, Destin at the City of Bishop, and Kay Wilson for hosting the
post-count tally potluck. Mark your 2018 calendar for the next Bishop CBC
on Saturday, December 15, 2018.

Chris Howard,
Bishop CBC Compiler