easternsierrabirds
Received From Subject
4/21/18 1:43 pm <blairmh54...> ESbirds: Re: White-faced Ibis at Klondike Lake, Yellow-headed Blackbirds at Bishop Von's Parking Lot
4/20/18 2:19 pm <claus2692...> ESbirds: White-faced Ibis at Klondike Lake, Yellow-headed Blackbirds at Bishop Von's Parking Lot
4/19/18 11:32 am Maggie Wolfe Riley <maggiewolfe...> ESbirds: Bullock's Oriole at Bishop COSA
4/17/18 11:31 am Chris Howard <chris93514...> ESbirds: Yellow Warbler arrival at South 3rd Street on track with past years
4/17/18 8:27 am Jerry Zatorski <jerryzat...> ESbirds: Northern Flicker inter grade Independence woodlot
4/11/18 8:34 am Carolyn Gann and Larry Nahm <bristlecone1...> ESbirds: Calliope hummingbird at feeder in Bishop
4/7/18 1:01 pm Ron Overholtz <overholtzart...> ESbirds: Marbled Godwit at Farmer's Pond
4/6/18 2:21 pm Ron Overholtz <overholtzart...> ESbirds: Dunlin and Baird's Sandpiper at Tinemaha
4/5/18 5:01 am Foster Jones <fosterajonesiv...> ESbirds: Vermilion Flycatcher - Mono City
4/4/18 12:08 pm Tom & Jo Heindel <tjheindel...> ESbirds: Franklin's Gulls and Herring Gull near Big Pine
3/29/18 11:40 am Ron Overholtz <overholtzart...> ESbirds: Hawks at Laws
3/26/18 10:58 am <ted999.williams...> ESbirds: Re: Possible Tricolored Blackbird in Our Yard
3/24/18 4:09 pm Ron Overholtz <overholtzart...> ESbirds: Possible Tricolored Blackbird in Our Yard
3/24/18 4:04 pm Ron Overholtz <overholtzart...> ESbirds: Possible Tricolored Blackbird in Our Yard
3/23/18 9:35 am Ron Overholtz <overholtzart...> ESbirds: Pacific Wren Continues at Birchim

Back to top
Date: 4/21/18 1:43 pm
From: <blairmh54...>
Subject: ESbirds: Re: White-faced Ibis at Klondike Lake, Yellow-headed Blackbirds at Bishop Von's Parking Lot
We have had several yellow-headed blackbirds in our backyard in Crowley
Lake on April 15, 16 and 20.

On Friday, April 20, 2018 at 2:18:51 PM UTC-7, <clau......> wrote:

> Drive by birding today April 20 2018. About 100 White-faced Ibis foraging
> at southern end of Klondike Lake. Large flock of Yellow-headed Blackbirds
> in the Bishop Von's Parking lot.

Back to top

Date: 4/19/18 11:32 am
From: Maggie Wolfe Riley <maggiewolfe...>
Subject: ESbirds: Bullock's Oriole at Bishop COSA
Seen during 7th grade field birding with Matt Wilson, Kerry Lozito, and
John Kelly the other birders who saw this beautiful bird, in the willows by
the eastern pond near the cemetery.

Back to top
Date: 4/17/18 11:31 am
From: Chris Howard <chris93514...>
Subject: ESbirds: Yellow Warbler arrival at South 3rd Street on track with past years
This morning, 17 Apr 2018, there was a singing male Yellow Warbler in the
cottonwood/willow grove at South 3rd Street in Bishop. It was not observed
yesterday on two visits. I've been tracking their arrival date at this
location since 2011. They show a remarkably narrow arrival window between
15 Apr and 18 Apr:

18-Apr-2011
17-Apr-2012
30-Apr-2013**
16-Apr-2014
16-Apr-2015
14-Apr-2016
15-Apr-2017
17-Apr-2018

**In 2013 I didn't check for them until 30-Apr.

I believe they breed here since they are present and singing through July
and into mid-August.

Chris Howard
Bishop, CA

Back to top
Date: 4/17/18 8:27 am
From: Jerry Zatorski <jerryzat...>
Subject: ESbirds: Northern Flicker inter grade Independence woodlot
One male seen with a red mostachial and red crescent on back of head. Bird seen on north end of woodlot.

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 4/11/18 8:34 am
From: Carolyn Gann and Larry Nahm <bristlecone1...>
Subject: ESbirds: Calliope hummingbird at feeder in Bishop
Calliope hummingbird male has been visiting our feeders this morning. This
is a first on our yard bird list. The Hooded orioles have arrived today (a
month later than previous years) so I put out the oriole feeder, and the
hummingbird is using it too! Earlier this week a male Phainopepla became a
new yard bird! Photos attached. Happy spring birding!

Back to top
Date: 4/7/18 1:01 pm
From: Ron Overholtz <overholtzart...>
Subject: ESbirds: Marbled Godwit at Farmer's Pond
Add about 12 o'clock this afternoon, we found a Marbled Godwit and a Semipalmated Plover at Farmer's Pond. At Tinemaha, we had two Semipalmated Plover. At Klondike, we had two American Bitterns. One was seen and the other was calling on the other side of the lake.

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 4/6/18 2:21 pm
From: Ron Overholtz <overholtzart...>
Subject: ESbirds: Dunlin and Baird's Sandpiper at Tinemaha
There is a large section of exposed mud at the north end of Tinemaha and we saw a nice flock of shorebirds including 2 Dunlin and a Baird's Sandpiper. We also saw 2 Caspian Terns.

Back to top
Date: 4/5/18 5:01 am
From: Foster Jones <fosterajonesiv...>
Subject: ESbirds: Vermilion Flycatcher - Mono City

Seen in my yard by 8 others today. Unmistakeable flycatcher. Beautiful bright red with black wings. An absolute extreme Mono Basin gem. So brilliant. More photos to come. This photo by Tim Bue

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 4/4/18 12:08 pm
From: Tom & Jo Heindel <tjheindel...>
Subject: ESbirds: Franklin's Gulls and Herring Gull near Big Pine
This morning we had a Franklin's Gull at Klondike Lake that was molting
into Alternate Plumage but not quite there and ANOTHER one at Tinemaha
Reservoir that was also molting into AP, as well as an adult Herring Gull
at Tinemaha!!

Tom & Jo Heindel
Big Pine, CA

Back to top
Date: 3/29/18 11:40 am
From: Ron Overholtz <overholtzart...>
Subject: ESbirds: Hawks at Laws
We saw or FOS Swainson's Hawks today at Laws as well as two Ferruginous; one being a dark morph.

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 3/26/18 10:58 am
From: <ted999.williams...>
Subject: ESbirds: Re: Possible Tricolored Blackbird in Our Yard
On Saturday, March 24, 2018 at 4:04:43 PM UTC-7, Ron & Nancy wrote:
> We arrived home from a walk and shopping about 1:00 pm.  As I reached the steps, I noticed a Blackbird in our peach tree.  When I looked at it through my binoculars, I could only see white in the epaulettes.  I tried to get a photo but there were too many branches in the way.  It flew to the back yard and landed on the wire.  I rushed to the back door and was able to get some photos.  I believe it is a Tricolored but I was not able to see any color other than the white lesser coverts.  I have attached photos and would appreciate feedback.
>

> Last year at Greengates I saw what also looked like a Tri-colored, but I could only see the white bar. It too was in the trees and I could not definitively make an ID... so I did not report it. Interesting parallel.

Ted Williams

> A few minutes later, I looked out the window to see a female or first-winter Yellow-headed Blackbird.

> Nancy

Back to top

Date: 3/23/18 9:35 am
From: Ron Overholtz <overholtzart...>
Subject: ESbirds: Pacific Wren Continues at Birchim

We just saw the Pacific Wren which was found by Chris and Rosie Howard last weekend at Birchim Canyon. It's in the same spot about 100 yards past the confluence. Heard calling and then seen.

Sent from my iPhone