easternsierrabirds
Received From Subject
10/21/18 7:47 pm James Pike <jimpike444...> ESbirds: Mojave: 19 - 21 Oct
10/19/18 8:34 pm <ted999.williams...> ESbirds: Green Gates bird
10/17/18 6:11 pm Russell Kokx <kokxbio...> ESbirds: White-Throated Sparrow and Lewis's Woodpecker Edward's Field Lone Pine
10/16/18 12:08 pm Russell Kokx <kokxbio...> ESbirds: Male Hooded Merganser Diaz Lake Lone Pine
10/15/18 6:30 pm Russell Kokx <kokxbio...> ESbirds: White-throated Sparrow Furnace Creek
10/12/18 6:18 pm Ron Overholtz <overholtzart...> ESbirds: Retraction of Mew Gull
10/12/18 4:08 pm Susan Steele <steele7...> ESbirds: Ovenbird at over 10000'
10/12/18 1:25 pm Ron Overholtz <overholtzart...> ESbirds: New Gull at Topaz Lake
10/9/18 4:25 pm <ted999.williams...> ESbirds: more Green Gates
10/2/18 7:54 pm James Pike <jimpike444...> ESbirds: Mojave: 1 Oct
9/30/18 12:02 pm <ted999.williams...> ESbirds: Yellow Shafted Northern Flicker
9/27/18 3:36 pm <ted999.williams...> ESbirds: Birds at Green Gates

Back to top
Date: 10/21/18 7:47 pm
From: James Pike <jimpike444...>
Subject: ESbirds: Mojave: 19 - 21 Oct
On Friday, an Am. Tree Sparrow was at the north end of the pond in Shoshone
(lousy photo at link below, although I expect better pics have been taken
since). The hatch-year Yellow-bellied Sapsucker in front of the high school
in the tree that hosted two male Yellow-bellieds ten days ago proved to be
a new bird, as it was a female. (Notably, all three had scant, dappled red
on their crowns, unlike the solid red crowns on all Red-napeds seen this
fall). A Western Meadowlark impaling and consuming a Desert Spiny Lizard
was a curiosity. Other birds of note Fri-Sat included White-throated and
"Red" Fox Sparrows, and Len Warren had a Pacific Wren and Yellow-shafted
Flicker in the marsh. Late afternoon on Saturday, another Am. Tree Sparrow
was at the north end of the rectangular chub pond at Zzyzx (lousy photos at
link below). Oddly enough, it lacked a dark spot on the central breast
("Round these parts, we call those Chippies").This morning at Chet Huffman
Park in Baker, I ran into a scruffy lad (goes by the name of Curtis) who
had just found a Rose-breasted Grosbeak, and we searched without luck at
Zzyzx for the sparrow. We did see the catbird at the opposite end of the
chub pond, along with additional White-throated and "Red" Fox Sparrows.

Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/eNoWKLbHLu7fXCNw7

Jim Pike
HB

Back to top
Date: 10/19/18 8:34 pm
From: <ted999.williams...>
Subject: ESbirds: Green Gates bird
A Red-naped Sapsucker has arrived at Green Gates.
Fri noon 60’s

Back to top
Date: 10/17/18 6:11 pm
From: Russell Kokx <kokxbio...>
Subject: ESbirds: White-Throated Sparrow and Lewis's Woodpecker Edward's Field Lone Pine
Today at 12:30 pm there was an adult "tan striped' white-throated sparrow
and a single Lewis's woodpecker at Edward's field today.

Back to top
Date: 10/16/18 12:08 pm
From: Russell Kokx <kokxbio...>
Subject: ESbirds: Male Hooded Merganser Diaz Lake Lone Pine
Today at 0930 there was a Hooded Merganser in the center of the very choppy
Diaz Lake keeping company with an Eared Grebe.
Winds were 10-25 MPH.
(A small distant pic is included here for the record keepers)

Back to top
Date: 10/15/18 6:30 pm
From: Russell Kokx <kokxbio...>
Subject: ESbirds: White-throated Sparrow Furnace Creek
Today at 15:40 there was a White-throated Sparrow at the Furnace Creek Golf
Course in the mesquite grove along the Northside of the Golf Course.
A snow goose, 2 blue-winged teal, gadwall, american wigeon ruddy duck, and
85+ American coots were all crowding the small pond. Plus many American
pipits, Yellow rubbed warblers and Savanah Sparrows on the courses.

Back to top
Date: 10/12/18 6:18 pm
From: Ron Overholtz <overholtzart...>
Subject: ESbirds: Retraction of Mew Gull
Jon had an opportunity to look at his photos and the identity of the "Mew Gull" is uncertain. It could possibly be a hybrid.

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 10/12/18 4:08 pm
From: Susan Steele <steele7...>
Subject: ESbirds: Ovenbird at over 10000'
Bob and I decided to head to the North Fork of Big Pine Canyon today. We
were hoping for good leaves and if not, the weather service's forecast was
for a sunny day, which is always nice when viewing Temple Crag. The leaves
around Lon Cheney's cabin were very nice, mixed to poor in the lower canyon.
The weather at 2nd Lake was cold with Temple Crag enveloped in a mist. For
some insane reason we decided to complete the loop after lunch cuz I guess
our fingers weren't frozen solid yet. Between 2nd and 3rd Lakes I had
movement and was thinking maybe a Lincoln's Sparrow. When I edged around
the bush the bird was walking in the snow. Walking. It was rump towards
me, then it turned to the side, showing the black streaks on white
underparts, rust and brown striped crown, and bold white eye ring.
Ovenbird, at over 10000'. Amazing.

Even more amazing this is the 2nd that I know of in this canyon. I recall
one Chris and Rosie Howard had by Lon Cheney's cabin several years ago.

Susan

Back to top
Date: 10/12/18 1:25 pm
From: Ron Overholtz <overholtzart...>
Subject: ESbirds: New Gull at Topaz Lake
Jon Dunn, Ron and I stopped at Topaz where Jon spotted a Mew Gull which he thought might NOT be brachyrhyncus. John, brave soul that he is, took off his shoes and walked through the mud to get closer for photographs.

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 10/9/18 4:25 pm
From: <ted999.williams...>
Subject: ESbirds: more Green Gates
Green gates very quiet the past two days. The plentiful Orange-crowned Warbles seem to have moved on. A Steller’s Jay was seen, Bewick’s wren, White-crowned Sparrows, lots of Flickers, but no insectivores

Ted Williams
cool,calm winds, upper 50s

Back to top
Date: 10/2/18 7:54 pm
From: James Pike <jimpike444...>
Subject: ESbirds: Mojave: 1 Oct
A Palm Warbler was at the marsh in Shoshone yesterday. Later, I encountered
the probable hybrid woodpecker that Dave Goodward first found at Chet
Huffman Park in Baker on 20 Sept. It was feeding on a seemingly endless
supply of larvae within the rotting branch of a palo verde tree on the
northwest side of the park. As Dave had previously described, the
bill-length appears intermediate between Downy and Hairy, although I was
surprised to find photos online of a few Hairy’s with similar bills. I also
see in Pyle (1997) that the widespread HAWO subspecies (P.v. orious) that
breeds and winters in SE California averages shorter-billed than nearly all
others north of the border. The very narrow supercilium might also be
related to this bird being of the “Interior Western” group. Bold, DOWO-like
spots are present on the outermost visible rectrices, but can also rarely
be found on HAWO (Pyle 1997). Supporting the hybrid case is that the bird
‘appears’ to lack the extension of the submoustachial-stripe onto the side
of the breast as found in HAWO but not DOWO. I say ‘appears’ as ruffled or
missing feathers on the sides of the breast occasionally reveal darker
basal feathering that can give the impression of the HAWO-like extension.
(That’s my interpretation anyway). My photo link provides different looks
at the breast, and how the presence/absence of an extension is dependent
upon the posture of the bird. The combination of oddities that this bird
embodies leads me to think that it is most likely a hybrid. Too bad that
nobody has yet heard it call.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NbgkQ9p88MJdGcrE6

Jim Pike

Huntington Beach

Back to top
Date: 9/30/18 12:02 pm
From: <ted999.williams...>
Subject: ESbirds: Yellow Shafted Northern Flicker
Green gates this morning was fairly busy with the ususal suspects including: Yellow Shafted Northern Flicker, 3 Downey, 1 Nuttles, numerous oragne-crown warblers, spotted towhee, white-crown sparrows, black phoebe, finches, and crows

Ted Williams
clear, calm, 65 degrees and no wind

Back to top
Date: 9/27/18 3:36 pm
From: <ted999.williams...>
Subject: ESbirds: Birds at Green Gates
Nothing real unusual at Green Gates these days, except for the fact there
were birds to see at 2 in the afternoon (Watch out for the bugs, there are
more there than I can ever recall...and they are REAL annoying.):

Belted Kingfisher, Orange-crowned Warbler, Loggerhead Shrike, Western
Wood-Pewee; plus the usual White-crowned Sparrow, Red-Tailed Hawk, House
Finch, Bewick's Wren, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Northern Flicker.

Ted Williams