easternsierrabirds
Received From Subject
10/21/19 1:51 pm 'Ron Overholtz' via EasternSierraBirds <easternsierrabirds...> ESbirds: Great Crested Flycatcher at Birchim Canyon
10/11/19 10:36 am Charlie Massieon <CCMassieon...> ESbirds: Prothonotary warbler
10/10/19 4:56 pm 'Ron Overholtz' via EasternSierraBirds <easternsierrabirds...> ESbirds: Eared Grebe at Bishop City Park
10/7/19 7:09 pm 'Charity Hagen' via EasternSierraBirds <easternsierrabirds...> ESbirds: Long-tailed Jaeger at Bridgeport Reservoir
10/7/19 3:26 pm steve brad <stevanbrad...> ESbirds: couple mammoth notes
10/4/19 7:27 pm Todd Vogel <todd...> ESbirds: Evening Grosbeaks above Grass Lake, Bishop Creek
10/3/19 7:13 pm Russell Kokx <kokxbio...> ESbirds: Common Tern Tinemaha Reservoir
9/22/19 7:54 pm Chris Howard <chris93514...> ESbirds: Sabine’s Gull at Mono Lake, Rush Creek Delta
9/22/19 2:56 pm 'Ron Overholtz' via EasternSierraBirds <easternsierrabirds...> ESbirds: Summer Tanager at Greengate Cottonwoods
9/22/19 12:01 pm 'Ron Overholtz' via EasternSierraBirds <easternsierrabirds...> ESbirds: Summer Tanager

Back to top
Date: 10/21/19 1:51 pm
From: 'Ron Overholtz' via EasternSierraBirds <easternsierrabirds...>
Subject: ESbirds: Great Crested Flycatcher at Birchim Canyon
This morning at Birchim Canyon, Ron, Claus Engelhardt, Debby and Jim Parker and I spotted a  Myiarchus Flycatcher  that we determined was not an Ash-throated.   After watching it for a few minutes and photographing it, We determined that it was a Great-crested Flycatcher.  We called the Howard‘s and the Heindel‘s who also came and were able to see the bird.   Steve Brad and Annie Stockley happened by and both saw the bird as well.

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

Back to top
Date: 10/11/19 10:36 am
From: Charlie Massieon <CCMassieon...>
Subject: ESbirds: Prothonotary warbler
I found a prothonotary warbler in Bishop city park high in the tree north of the skateboard park, next to the ditch at 10:30 Friday 10/11. Good views from below.
Charlie Massieon

Back to top
Date: 10/10/19 4:56 pm
From: 'Ron Overholtz' via EasternSierraBirds <easternsierrabirds...>
Subject: ESbirds: Eared Grebe at Bishop City Park
A very lucky little Eared Grebe was rescued today by visiting birders Diane and Steve Rose. As they were driving down Line Street, a bird flew in front of their car and landed with a thud  in the middle of the road. They screeched to a halt and ran out and picked it up. It did not seem to be hurt so they drove it to City Park and released it in the pond.
 We went and checked on it a short time later and it was happily swimming and grooming itself.
Thanks Diane & Steve.

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

Back to top
Date: 10/7/19 7:09 pm
From: 'Charity Hagen' via EasternSierraBirds <easternsierrabirds...>
Subject: ESbirds: Long-tailed Jaeger at Bridgeport Reservoir
After failing with the eBird app on my phone, I’m trying this list instead, hopefully it will go through. While stopping on the side of Hwy. 182 to see what birds were on the Bridgeport Reservoir, around 2:30, I noticed a darker gull like bird come into my scope view. The bird turned out to be a jaeger, which I believe to be a Long-tailed, as it seemed to be smaller than nearby Western Grebes(see last photo). They are digiscoped photos, and not the best. I have flight photos on my camera, but have no computer to download them to until Thursday when I return home. I first saw the bird while stopped at the second pullout after the dam. The bird flew in wide circles, harassing some gulls and grebes, before finally landing on the water near the northern shore across from me, where I obtained the photos. The bird then took off where I lost it as it flew west. I then drove and looked from the boat ramp, and could see it in my scope at the far western end of the lake, where it seemed thousands of coots and ducks were congregating. In fact, the whole lake at that end was packed with birds, seen through the scope. Hopefully the bird sticks around so others can see it.
Charity Hagen
Lake Elsinore, CA
currently in Lee Vining

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 10/7/19 3:26 pm
From: steve brad <stevanbrad...>
Subject: ESbirds: couple mammoth notes
Hello all, While I was up in the Glass Mountains today Monday birding I
got a call from Ken Wells around 8 AM that there were a 100 or 200 Evening
Grosbeaks at the Hayden Cabin Museum. Mammoth Lakes My friend Annie got
there after lunch and were treated to one of those rare magical bird
moments when you feel like you are in a bird aviary, Thank-you Ken!!
I mention this as after 17 years as the Mammoth Lakes Bird Man Ken will be
leaving Mammoth and Mono to be closer to family and friends in the Big Bear
Lake area, this is a great move for Ken but a bad loss for Mammoth and Mono
county.
Soon gone will be the days I can pull in to town and go over to the Do It
Center where Ken works and ask Ken Whats around? and Ken would almost
always know, As Ken is pretty well known to be waaaaaaaaaaay off the grid
most folks that know Ken may not know he`s soon to be Outa here
Thank you Ken for your careful record keepiing and good luck to you in
the new digs

my ebird report today with some so so evening grosbeak shots

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S60434784

steve brad

leucadia

Mammoth Lakes

Back to top
Date: 10/4/19 7:27 pm
From: Todd Vogel <todd...>
Subject: ESbirds: Evening Grosbeaks above Grass Lake, Bishop Creek
Today, the 4th of October there were 25 - 30 Evening Grosbeaks flying around between Lower Lamarck Lake and Grass Lake. We got good looks at them as they flitted about the Lodgepoles, on our way down the ‘old’ trail from Upper Lamarck to Grass Lake. Being Evening Grosbeaks they were also vocalizing quite a bit. I don’t see them often in this area.

Back to top
Date: 10/3/19 7:13 pm
From: Russell Kokx <kokxbio...>
Subject: ESbirds: Common Tern Tinemaha Reservoir
Tonight a 530 I briefly stopped by the reservoir before the sun dipped
behind the Sierras. There was an adult non-breeding Common Tern actively
feeding it briefly alighted on the water so I could see the dark nape and
carpals with the aid of a spotting scope. As soon as the shadows hit the
water the bird headed NE out of site.

Back to top
Date: 9/22/19 7:54 pm
From: Chris Howard <chris93514...>
Subject: ESbirds: Sabine’s Gull at Mono Lake, Rush Creek Delta
An immature Sabine’s Gull was with a large California Gull flock at the
Rush Creek Delta this afternoon. Details and photos are in eBird:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S60042024

Chris Howard,
Bishop, CA

Back to top
Date: 9/22/19 2:56 pm
From: 'Ron Overholtz' via EasternSierraBirds <easternsierrabirds...>
Subject: ESbirds: Summer Tanager at Greengate Cottonwoods
 The Summer Tanager was seen at Greengate cottonwoods today. My apologies for not including the location.
Nancy

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

Back to top
Date: 9/22/19 12:01 pm
From: 'Ron Overholtz' via EasternSierraBirds <easternsierrabirds...>
Subject: ESbirds: Summer Tanager
We were delighted to see a nearly adult male Summer Tanager a little after 11 o’clock this morning. He was near the end of the trees and got chased back toward the middle while we were watching.

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail