OrangeCountyBirding
Received From Subject
7/13/20 12:31 pm James Pike <jimpike444...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Hart Park destruction of native vegetation
7/12/20 11:07 am candance47 <candy.chapman...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Yellow crowned night heron
7/11/20 4:58 pm Doug Willick via groups.io <doug.willick=<aecom.com...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Neotropic type Cormorant at SJWS
7/9/20 1:56 pm Jeff Bray <jbray3928...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Orange County RBA: July 9, 2020
7/9/20 1:26 pm Nancy Kenyon <nkenyon...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Entrance to the SJWS now from Riparian
7/6/20 7:59 am Jeff Bray <jbray3928...> Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Black Tern continues at San Joaquin Marsh - 5 July
7/6/20 7:55 am Ed Stonick <edstonick...> Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Black Tern continues at San Joaquin Marsh - 5 July
7/5/20 8:00 am Jeff Bray <jbray3928...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Black Tern continues at San Joaquin Marsh - 5 July
7/4/20 5:42 pm Bettina Eastman <phenobee24...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Black Tern
7/4/20 2:09 pm Bettina Eastman <phenobee24...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Black Tern
7/3/20 9:23 am John Haney via groups.io <jmhaney123=<yahoo.com...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Spotted sandpiper Santa Ana River
7/2/20 1:05 pm Terry Hill <terrynjohn...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve parking lots to be closed this weekend
7/2/20 11:29 am Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Orange County RBA: July 2, 2020
7/1/20 6:55 pm James Pike <jimpike444...> Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Blue wing teal?
7/1/20 3:48 pm Jeff Bray <jbray3928...> Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Blue wing teal?
7/1/20 3:44 pm Alyssa Olguin via groups.io <Ajaneo=<yahoo.com...> Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Blue wing teal?
7/1/20 1:28 pm <tgmiko...> <tgmiko...> Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Blue wing teal?
7/1/20 1:20 pm Wm Erik Voss <dbupdike...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Blue wing teal?
7/1/20 12:56 pm Don Hoechlin via groups.io <Quixdimnd=<aol.com...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Summer Tanagers
6/30/20 8:35 am Liga Auzins via groups.io <llauzins=<yahoo.com...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Northern Parula at MSRP
6/27/20 11:13 pm Doug Willick via groups.io <doug.willick=<aecom.com...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve (Friday observations)
6/25/20 10:55 pm Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Orange County RBA: June 25, 2020
6/21/20 7:25 pm wagtail1997 <orcorba...> [OrangeCountyBirding] 2nd Virtual Field Trip Coastal Dana Point
6/21/20 11:58 am Sherry Meddick via groups.io <canyon53ss=<yahoo.com...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Lawrence’s goldfinch
6/20/20 6:11 pm Sherry Meddick via groups.io <canyon53ss=<yahoo.com...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Lawrence’s Goldfinch
6/19/20 3:34 pm Sheri Peterson <3dogs58...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Phainopepla in Anaheim
6/19/20 1:39 pm Terry Hill <terrynjohn...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Highlights of 6/19/20 Harriett Wieder Reg. Park Survey
6/19/20 10:11 am Edana Salisbury via groups.io <edanasal=<aol.com...> Direction correction. Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Lawrence’s Goldfinch at Carbon Canyon Regional Park
6/19/20 9:32 am Edana Salisbury via groups.io <edanasal=<aol.com...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Lawrence’s Goldfinch at Carbon Canyon Regional Park
6/18/20 8:42 am Jeff Bray <jbray3928...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Orange County RBA: June 18, 2020
6/17/20 12:56 am Nancy Kenyon <nkenyon...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Entrance to the SJWS is now from Michelson
6/16/20 6:35 pm Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Frigatebirds
6/16/20 2:29 pm Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Yellow-crowned Night-Herons
6/15/20 1:44 pm Edana Salisbury via groups.io <edanasal=<aol.com...> Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary
6/15/20 11:00 am Edana Salisbury via groups.io <edanasal=<aol.com...> [OrangeCountyBirding] San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary
6/13/20 6:56 pm Ryan Kayrell <kayrell...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Baby Quail

Back to top
Date: 7/13/20 12:31 pm
From: James Pike <jimpike444...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Hart Park destruction of native vegetation
It was recently brought to my attention that a natural area replete with
native vegetation along the northeast end of Hart Park in Orange was
recently destroyed. Not only was this city-owned, 75-yard-long swath of
willows along Santiago Creek near Cambridge eviscerated, but it occurred
some time between early June and early July, and thus in the midst of the
avian nesting season. I’m told that more seasons than not over the past ten
years, this riparian habitat has supported at least one summering/nesting
Least Bell’s Vireo. If complaints are made to the city of Orange about this
destruction, it can help ensure that something will be done to restore this
habitat and guarantee that it doesn’t happen again.

thanks, Jim Pike

HB

Back to top
Date: 7/12/20 11:07 am
From: candance47 <candy.chapman...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Yellow crowned night heron
https://www.dropbox.com/home/Photos?preview=DSCF0541.JPG

Yellow crowned night heron seen on the rocks near Newport Aquatic Center on Saturday, July 11, 2020. Beautiful bird. Will try to figure out how to upload photos.

Candy Chapman
Tustin, CA

Back to top
Date: 7/11/20 4:58 pm
From: Doug Willick via groups.io <doug.willick=<aecom.com...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Neotropic type Cormorant at SJWS
Sorry for the delay in sending this out. Just wanted to mention that late Friday (7/10/20) there was a small cormorant at San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary, on the island in Pond 1, that showed a lot of features of an immature Neotropic. It was present with a group of Double-cresteds, and of course all the terns (cool to see all those near fledging-aged Caspian). Anyway, the Neotropic was present from about 6 to 8 pm and though it was sleeping for a good percentage of the time I was watching it, suddenly at 8pm it got active and then flew off to the west (or southwest). It was flying low when it left Pond 1 so I don't know if it went far or not. Presumably going to roost somewhere in the local area. Anyway, it had a few features that concerned me, that might suggest it could be a hybrid (with Double-crested).

I noticed a small small group of shorebirds in Pond C (Western & Least sandpipers, Long-billed Dowitchers, Wilson Phalaropes, etc.) but I see the water unfortunately is still too high to attract many. Hope they lower it soon, being we're already into "fall migration" for shorebirds in SoCal. What appeared to be a juvenile Yellow-breasted Chat was in Toyon plantings lining the parking area by the Audubon House.
--
Doug Willick
Orange, CA

Back to top
Date: 7/9/20 1:56 pm
From: Jeff Bray <jbray3928...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Orange County RBA: July 9, 2020
*RBA*

* California
* Orange County
* July 9, 2020
* CAOC20.07.09

This is the Orange County, CA weekly Rare Bird Alert (RBA) and local events
summary. California Bird Records Committee (CBRC) review species are
capitalized and marked with asterisks below. All documentation of review
species should be forwarded to the CBRC secretary, Tom Benson, at
<secretary...>

*BIRDS MENTIONED*

Black Tern
Nazca Booby
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron
Northern Parula

A BLACK TERN was found at San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary in Irvine on July
4 and continued through July 5. Starving for something to chase, it is
estimated with reasonable accuracy that about 99% of Orange County's
birders saw this bird.

A NAZCA BOOBY was photographed sitting on a boat offshore on July 3.

An adult YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON was seen along the rocky shoreline of
Dana Point Harbor on July 7.

A NORTHERN PARULA that was found in the Nature Center of Mile Square
Regional Park in Fountain Valley on June 29 continued through July 3.

*LOCAL EVENTS*

All Sea and Sage Audubon sponsored field trips have been canceled until
further notice due to cautionary measures regarding the coronavirus.

*BIRDING WORKSHOPS AND CLASSES*

Nothing new scheduled at this time.

The Orange County RBA and events summary is produced weekly by Ryan
Winkleman and Jeff Bray in collaboration with Doug Willick. Sightings of
rare birds can be posted to the OrangeCountyBirding listserv, emailed
directly to Jeff Bray (<jbray3928...>) and/or Ryan Winkleman (
<rswinkleman...>), and/or submitted to eBird (
http://ebird.org/content/ebird). Any supporting details (descriptions,
photos, audio recordings, etc.) of rare sightings that are not already
disclosed on the listserv or on eBird should also be emailed to Ryan
Winkleman separately for consideration to be mentioned in the current
quarterly report for North American Birds.

Those sightings that are included in this summary generally include those
that are considered rare (regionally or seasonally) for Orange County based
on "The Birds of Orange County: Status and Distribution" (Hamilton and
Willick), "Birds of Southern California" (Garrett and Dunn), and/or more
contemporary changes in local or regional status and distribution. Rarities
that regularly or seasonally occur at a particular location, such as
annually wintering rarities on Seal Beach National Wildlife Refuge, may or
may not be included in this digest, but reports of these same species
occurring at other, atypical locations throughout the county may be
included. We don't include hybrids, subspecies, introduced or exotic birds,
or in most cases and for no real reason, geese. All bird reports are vetted
to the extent possible prior to each publication, but in the interest of
sharing information, the accuracy of any given report cannot always be
guaranteed, nor can the presence of any given bird for those who choose to
chase after them.

Information on upcoming local events is taken largely from the Sea and Sage
Audubon website (http://www.seaandsageaudubon.org/). Sea and Sage Audubon
is based out of the Audubon House at the San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary in
Irvine. They sponsor a number of public field trips, special birding
events, conservation lectures, and social gatherings throughout the year.
Information regarding upcoming local events should be considered accurate
at the time of this posting. However, for the most current information
please refer to the field trip list on the Sea and Sage Audubon website at
http://www.seaandsageaudubon.org/FieldTrips/FieldTripSchedule.html. It is
also recommended that you refer to that website immediately prior to
engaging in any field trip to confirm that trips are still occurring. If
you know of additional upcoming events that are not sponsored directly by
Sea and Sage Audubon, please email Ryan Winkleman and/or Jeff Bray for
inclusion. #RBA

Back to top
Date: 7/9/20 1:26 pm
From: Nancy Kenyon <nkenyon...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Entrance to the SJWS now from Riparian
Road construction on Campus Drive in Irvine is now
completed. This means that the entrance to the San Joaquin
Wildlife Sanctuary is back to Campus Drive again. The
entrance from Michelson is now closed to the public.

Nancy Kenyon
Irvine

Back to top
Date: 7/6/20 7:59 am
From: Jeff Bray <jbray3928...>
Subject: Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Black Tern continues at San Joaquin Marsh - 5 July
Currently, with the construction on Campus, you have to enter the marsh
from Michaelson, turn in on Riparian Drive and drive all the way through to
the marsh parking lot.
That intersection is here: Google maps:
https://goo.gl/maps/KkmrkTHkWsmDUZHN7

Jeff

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 7:55 AM edstonick <edstonick...> wrote:

> How do you enter the San Joaquin refuge these days? From Campus Dr. or
> Michelson Dr.?
>
> Ed Stonick

Back to top
Date: 7/6/20 7:55 am
From: Ed Stonick <edstonick...>
How do you enter the San Joaquin refuge these days? From Campus Dr. or Michelson Dr.?Ed StonickSent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Date: 7/5/20 8:00 am
From: Jeff Bray <jbray3928...>

Date: 7/4/20 5:42 pm
From: Bettina Eastman <phenobee24...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Black Tern
I went back to the SJWS and was able to get pictures of the Black Tern. It was mostly hanging out in Pond C. But, also went to forage in Pond B. There appears to be a little something wrong with its upper mandible near the nares. And, has two white feathers on the top of its head and one or two on its belly.

Anyway, it’s a beautiful bird.

Bird every moment,
Bettina Eastman
Huntington Beach

Back to top
Date: 7/4/20 2:09 pm
From: Bettina Eastman <phenobee24...>
This morning, while video taping Maia Nguyen as she banded some of our Tree Swallows at the SJWS (Coming soon to Instagram and YouTube). I glanced over to see a Black Tern flying past me at Pond D. I apologize for not having posted sooner. But, it was such a glimpse I wanted to be careful. Well, my friend Brian Sinnott and his wife just called me to mention that they saw it too a bit later. They mentioned it was making its rounds around the marsh. So, not sure where to tell you to look. I’d say the island in Pond 1 would be a good start. But, there had also been a Peregrine Falcon working the pond all morning. So, needless to say, if it was passing through, it that might encourage it to keep moving on.

please stay safe everyone!!

Bird every moment (you might see a Black Tern),
Bettina Eastman
Huntington Beach

Back to top
Date: 7/3/20 9:23 am
From: John Haney via groups.io <jmhaney123=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Spotted sandpiper Santa Ana River
Spotted sandpiper 100 yards downstream of Lakeview Bridge, north side of riverbed.
--
John Haney
Tustin

Back to top
Date: 7/2/20 1:05 pm
From: Terry Hill <terrynjohn...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve parking lots to be closed this weekend
I just found out that the Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve parking lots (PCH and Warner Avenue lots) will be closed both Saturday and Sunday this weekend and blocked off with cones and signs.  Pedestrian access to the reserve is still allowed.
--
Terry Hill
Huntington Beach

Back to top
Date: 7/2/20 11:29 am
From: Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Orange County RBA: July 2, 2020
RBA

* California

* Orange County

* July 2, 2020

* CAOC20.07.02

This is the Orange County, CA weekly Rare Bird Alert (RBA) and local events
summary. California Bird Records Committee (CBRC) review species are
capitalized and marked with asterisks below. All documentation of review
species should be forwarded to the CBRC secretary, Tom Benson, at
<secretary...>

BIRDS MENTIONED

Dunlin

Northern Parula

Summer Tanager

An unseasonal DUNLIN was photographed at Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve in
Huntington Beach on June 26. Although many other shorebird species are
present there right now, Dunlins trickle out in late May and are generally
not expected to be present in the county between June and mid-September.

A NORTHERN PARULA was found in the Nature Center of Mile Square Regional
Park in Fountain Valley on June 29, continuing into July 1.

At least two SUMMER TANAGERS were present in the Nature Center of Mile
Square Regional Park in Fountain Valley between June 29 and July 1.

Date: 7/1/20 6:55 pm
From: James Pike <jimpike444...>
Subject: Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Blue wing teal?
This isn't a Blue-winged Teal. It is a juvenile male Wood Duck. The bill is
exhibiting something of the eventual reddish coloration of an adult male,
but the irides would still be red if an adult male in eclipse (ie,
alternate) plumage.

Jim Pike
HB

On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 3:48 PM Jeff Bray <jbray3928...> wrote:

> This is a male Wood Duck in eclipse (non-breeding) plumage.
>
> --
> Jeff Bray
> Irvine, CA

Back to top

Date: 7/1/20 3:44 pm
From: Alyssa Olguin via groups.io <Ajaneo=<yahoo.com...>
I saw the same bird two days ago and couldn’t id it, either. My guess is a hybrid of some kind? It was fairly territorial with the other ducks out there...

Alyssa J. Jimenez
Anaheim, CA

--
Alyssa J. Jimenez
Anaheim, CA

Back to top
Date: 7/1/20 1:28 pm
From: <tgmiko...> <tgmiko...>
Female Wood Duck (eclipse male?)

Thomas Geza Miko
Claremont, LA County
909.241.3300
"The plan was so full of holes it made Swiss cheese looks solid."--Lee Child

On Wed, Jul 1, 2020, 1:20 PM Wm Erik Voss <dbupdike...> wrote:

> Is this a juvenile, a hybrid, or something else entirely? Never seen it
> before. Very friendly, poking about for food on the ball field, paid me no
> mind at all.
>
> http://www.americansilversmiths.org/Birds/Teal3.jpg
>
> http://www.americansilversmiths.org/Birds/Teal13.jpg
> <http://www.americansilversmiths.org/Birds/Teal3.jpg>
>
> Craig Park
>
> Wm Erik Voss
> Fullerton

Back to top

Date: 7/1/20 12:56 pm
From: Don Hoechlin via groups.io <Quixdimnd=<aol.com...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Summer Tanagers
There are at least three immature male Summer Tanagers at mile square park where first found in the north west corner of the nature center. Spending most of their time in the eucalyptus.Don HoechlinRMV

Back to top
Date: 6/30/20 8:35 am
From: Liga Auzins via groups.io <llauzins=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Northern Parula at MSRP
A male Northern Parula and an Imm male Summer Tanager are at Mile Square Regional Park - both in NW corner of Nature Area at 8:30 AM today, 30 June 2020.

Tom Wurster
Garden Grove

Back to top
Date: 6/27/20 11:13 pm
From: Doug Willick via groups.io <doug.willick=<aecom.com...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve (Friday observations)
Sorry about the lateness of this post (nothing all that important at least), but for some reason when I sent the following message by email, early this morning, it didn't go through. I'll see if it works sending through the website. This was mainly just an excuse to tell Jim Pike that "yes, I still live in the county."  (Sorry, an inside joke. :-)
*
Date: 6/25/20 10:55 pm
From: Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Orange County RBA: June 25, 2020
RBA

* California

* Orange County

* June 25, 2020

* CAOC20.06.25

This is the Orange County, CA weekly Rare Bird Alert (RBA) and local events
summary. California Bird Records Committee (CBRC) review species are
capitalized and marked with asterisks below. All documentation of review
species should be forwarded to the CBRC secretary, Tom Benson, at
<secretary...>

*BIRDS MENTIONED*

*MASKED BOOBY*

A probable *MASKED BOOBY* was photographed offshore from Newport Beach on
June 25. Anybody who has photos of this bird should forward them to the
CBRC secretary at <secretary...>

Date: 6/21/20 7:25 pm
From: wagtail1997 <orcorba...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] 2nd Virtual Field Trip Coastal Dana Point
Group,
I have put another virtual fieldtrip on YouTube. This time it’s titled “Common Coastal Birds of Dana Point CA: A Virtual Fieldtrip”. It runs 1:15:00.
https://youtu.be/ACPl08isFDc
My description:
Welcome to my second virtual field trip which will find and identify birds of the coastal areas of Dana Point, California. We will walk along Salt Creek County Beach, Strand Beach, the Headlands Rocky Intertidal, the Dana Point Harbor including the Island and the Jetty, and Doheny State Beach. We do this route on our portion of the San Juan Capistrano Christmas Bird Count. We will encounter four major groups of birds. A number of Herons and Egrets will be found, and the difference between immature Black-crowned and Yellow-crowned Night-Herons will be shown. This area is known for its Gull and Tern species. We will see why Heermann’s Gull and Brown Pelicans are so buddy-buddy, or are they? Heermann’s Gull has bred in California although it’s main breeding areas are in Mexico. Our route also has a number of shorebirds. We will try to count wintering Snowy Plovers, and see video of a number of sand crab eating birds, including one Gull that also eats that prey. And we will see all of the common Cormorant species of Orange County. Additional natural history things we will see are why there are so many “one-legged” birds, why some birds place their foot on their back (including on the first Clark’s Grebe picture that I missed pointing out), and some rarities including a 1st record for California (not so Common!).

The first virtual fieldtrip took my virtual participants to the Headlands and coastal sage community of Dana Point. It was titled “Birds Commonly Seen at the Headlands of Dana Point, CA: A Virtual Fieldtrip”. And ran 1:10:57
https://tinyurl.com/yc8fsbac
Enjoy
Joel
Joel Weintraub
Dana Point, CA

Back to top
Date: 6/21/20 11:58 am
From: Sherry Meddick via groups.io <canyon53ss=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Lawrence’s goldfinch
I see a number of you need/want this bird and the western wood-pewee. Great!

Rather than respond individually—on a phone—here’s the plan since some cannot come a Monday and some not until next weekend.

This Monday and Tuesday, I will meet you at Silverado Market (28192 Silverado Canyon Road, Silverado) at 7am Sharp. We will follow one another to the forest site, park, and find birds! This won’t take hours, so if you have to be somewhere late morning, you’re fine. Went very quick this am.

For anyone that cannot do it Monday or Tuesday, please email me here: <wrennietwoburd64.p4...> I will make time for you and make certain you get your birds when you can make it. Timing is really up to them!

Things to bring: bug spray, water

We will be entirely on the pavement so don’t worry about that part.

Any questions, just shoot me an email to the above address.
Sherry

PS Had mountain quail calls at this same spot this morning about 8am.

Back to top
Date: 6/20/20 6:11 pm
From: Sherry Meddick via groups.io <canyon53ss=<yahoo.com...>
If you are still needing/wanting this species for your list this year, I have an easy to reach guaranteed spot in the Cleveland out of Silverado. I say guaranteed because there is a nest in this area and there is a small group that hangs out in this area.

Feel free to contact me and I am happy to get you connected to the birds. Sooner the better. Also western wood-pewee in the same exact area, if you are needing that.

Sherry Meddick
Silverado

Back to top
Date: 6/19/20 3:34 pm
From: Sheri Peterson <3dogs58...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Phainopepla in Anaheim
I've played Anaheim Hills Golf Course twice this week and have seen phainopepla both times.  On Tuesday there was a pair on the twelfth hole and today a single male on the 13th.

Sheri Peterson
Yorba Linda

Back to top
Date: 6/19/20 1:39 pm
From: Terry Hill <terrynjohn...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Highlights of 6/19/20 Harriett Wieder Reg. Park Survey
Highlights of today’s (June 19, 2020) Harriett Wieder Reg. Park Survey included 38 Wilson’s Phalaropes, the majority in one of the Bolsa Chica cells out from the area below Seapoint & Garfield; 1 Sora in the one of the little ponds just below the playground; 1 Yellow-breasted Chat; lots of Swallows, especially Cliff, which were mostly congregated flying and then resting in the reeds just below the playground; along with many House Finches and Lesser and American Goldfinches.  We could NOT find any Lawrence’s Goldfinch, however, and we really searched among all the goldfinches.
--
Terry Hill
Huntington Beach

Back to top
Date: 6/19/20 10:11 am
From: Edana Salisbury via groups.io <edanasal=<aol.com...>
Subject: Direction correction. Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Lawrence’s Goldfinch at Carbon Canyon Regional Park
I always mix up north and south st this park! Sorry.

The bird was south from tennis courts. Just replace north with south for everything below GPS;
> 33.921065, -117.832106
> Accuracy: 33

Sigh. 😮

Edana Salisbury
Buena Park
Sent from my iPhone and possibly autocorrected incorrectly ....

> On Jun 19, 2020, at 9:22 AM, Edana Salisbury via groups.io <edanasal=<aol.com...> wrote:
>
> Although eBird shows this bird as just infrequent for the park, it seems that they are not that easy to find in OC, at least for me!
>
> I saw the female-type twice at a small puddle on the sidewalk north of the tennis courts, specifically the one-deep tennis courts. It flew down from the bush and tree area just north of the short wooden fence. I waited about 30 minutes more to see if it would come back to the puddle, but no luck.
>

> Edana Salisbury
> Buena Park
> Sent from my iPhone and possibly autocorrected incorrectly ....
>

> --
> Edana Salisbury
> Buena Park

Back to top

Date: 6/18/20 8:42 am
From: Jeff Bray <jbray3928...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Orange County RBA: June 18, 2020
RBA

* California

* Orange County

* June 18, 2020

* CAOC20.06.18

This is the Orange County, CA weekly Rare Bird Alert (RBA) and local events
summary. California Bird Records Committee (CBRC) review species are
capitalized and marked with asterisks below. All documentation of review
species should be forwarded to the CBRC secretary, Tom Benson, at
<secretary...>

BIRDS MENTIONED

Magnificent Frigatebird

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron

Lawrence’s Goldfinch

Rose-breasted Grosbeak

MAGNIFICENT FRIGATEBIRDS were reported at least three times since June 12.
All seen offshore by whale watching and fishing boats. All reports had
supporting photographs and all appeared to be immature birds.

An adult YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON was photographed at the UCI Marsh in
Irvine on June 12. This bird has apparently been at the UCI Marsh for at
least the last 3 weeks, as Ryan found out after his post the other day, and
is almost certainly the same bird that was photographed flying over the UCI
campus in early May.

An adult male LAWRENCE’S GOLDFINCH, unexpected so close to the coast in
June, was photographed at Harriett Wieder Regional Park in Huntington Beach
on June 17.

A male ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK was seen at a private residence in Laguna
Beach on June 12. This is the 8th record of this species for Spring 2020,
which as far as Ryan can tell is now a new county record for number of
spring migrants (the previous being 7).

Date: 6/17/20 12:56 am
From: Nancy Kenyon <nkenyon...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Entrance to the SJWS is now from Michelson
Due to extensive road work on Campus Drive between Jamboree
and Harvard in Irvine, the usual entrance to the San Joaquin
Wildlife Sanctuary from Campus Drive is now closed.  You can
enter from the Michelson entrance on to Riparian View
between Harvard and Carlson. The entrance is marked by a
signal with a prominent sign for the Irvine Ranch Water
District. Once you turn off on Riparian View, go straight
down it, past the windmill, until you reach the entrance to
Audubon House, the Duck Club, and the regular parking lot.
(This is the entrance we used to use until Oct. 2010.)

Nancy Kenyon
Irvine

Back to top
Date: 6/16/20 6:35 pm
From: Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Frigatebirds
Just for general information for those interested, there have been two
reports, both with photos, of Magnificent Frigatebirds offshore the last
few days. The first was photographed on Saturday about 1-1.5 miles offshore
of Huntington Beach. The second was photographed this morning about 0.75
mile off of San Clemente. Both reports were of immature birds.

Back to top
Date: 6/16/20 2:29 pm
From: Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Yellow-crowned Night-Herons
Other than a random bird that was photographed over UCI's Anteater
Recreation Center last month, we haven't had any reports of Yellow-crowned
Night-Herons in the county since the start of the shutdown in March. I
happened to be working in Dana Point this morning so I dropped by the
harbor and by Doheny State Beach to see if I could find any. I looked at
the Nordhavn building and the nearby magnolia trees, as well as the areas
immediately around (rocks, etc.). I did not find any Yellow-crowned
Night-Herons. I also looked closely through the birds/nests in the two
nesting trees next to Wheel Fun Rentals or whatever and only found
Black-crowned Night-Herons and a couple Snowy Egrets.

Given that we had a huge influx of basically year-round Yellow-crowned
Night-Herons in the county the last couple years, if anybody knows of them
still being present either now or anytime after the end of March, please
let me know (preferably with photos).

Back to top
Date: 6/15/20 1:44 pm
From: Edana Salisbury via groups.io <edanasal=<aol.com...>
Subject: Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary
For those who may be unaware of Riparian View's location when not entering the marsh from Campus...the street is south off of Michelson.  Riparian View is east of Carlson and west of Harvard.

Edana SalisburyBuena Park🙄😷
In a message dated 6/15/2020 11:00:23 AM Pacific Standard Time, edanasal=<aol.com...> writes:

The Campus entrance to the marsh is closed due to road work.  Th gates along Riparian are up, though, allowing for entry that way.
Edana Salisbury Buena Park Sent from my iPhone and possibly autocorrected incorrectly ....

-- Edana SalisburyBuena Park

Back to top

Date: 6/13/20 6:56 pm
From: Ryan Kayrell <kayrell...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Baby Quail
Hi all,

Any suggestions for where to take two baby quail?  Tried to wait around for a parent, but none showed.  I have them in a tissue box now on top of a heating pad.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pR7qhH3dRD1dswxG6

Ryan Kayrell
Foothill Ranch, CA