orangecountybirding
Received From Subject
2/25/18 11:29 am Jeff Bray <jbray4913...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Palm Warbler continues at San Joaquin Marsh - 25 FEB
2/24/18 10:26 am 'Steve Sosensky' <steve...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> [OrangeCountyBirding] White-throated Sparrow continues at Pinecrest Park, Hooded Mergs at Santiago Drainage Pond
2/22/18 5:12 pm c hardcastle <chhardcastle...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Sage Thrasher at San Joaquin wildlife sanctuary
2/22/18 1:52 pm Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Re: Orange County RBA: February 22, 2018
2/22/18 11:38 am Don Hoechlin <quixdimnd...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Lawrence’s Goldfinch
2/22/18 8:36 am Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Orange County RBA: February 22, 2018
2/19/18 3:48 pm James Pike <jimpike444...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> [OrangeCountyBirding] tropical thanks
2/18/18 9:49 am <tiorick...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Golden Eagle viewed from O’Neill Regional
2/16/18 1:35 pm <terrynjohn...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Highlights of Feb. 16 Harriett Wieder Park Count
2/15/18 6:32 am Jeff Bray <jbray4913...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Orange County RBA: February 15, 2018
2/15/18 1:51 am 'Willick, Doug' <doug.willick...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Comment on the Mile Square Park Ovenbird
2/14/18 8:42 pm Don Hoechlin <quixdimnd...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Purple Finch
2/14/18 8:12 pm Don Hoechlin <quixdimnd...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> [OrangeCountyBirding] White-winged Scoters
2/13/18 8:00 am Don Hoechlin <quixdimnd...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> [OrangeCountyBirding] White-winged Scoter
2/11/18 12:28 pm rick shearer <tiorick...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] White-winged Scoter
2/11/18 12:23 pm Jeff Bray <jbray4913...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> [OrangeCountyBirding] White-winged Scoter - Newport Beach
2/11/18 12:01 pm Shirley Reynolds <trailgirl888...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> [OrangeCountyBirding] White-winged Scoter
2/9/18 1:22 pm <terrynjohn...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Highlights of Feb. 9 Bolsa Chica Monthly Bird Count
2/8/18 7:26 am Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Orange County RBA: February 8, 2018
2/8/18 12:47 am Don Hoechlin <quixdimnd...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Sage Thrasher at Brightwater Trail
2/4/18 7:46 pm Peter Gordon <peterandmiko...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Brightwater Trailhead Birds on Sunday
2/3/18 3:20 pm <tiorick...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Bolsa Chica Burrowing Owls
2/3/18 8:27 am Don Hoechlin <quixdimnd...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Green-tailed Towhee and Sage Thrasher photos
2/3/18 8:05 am Don Hoechlin <quixdimnd...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Green-tailed towhee and sage thrasher
2/3/18 1:35 am 'Willick, Doug' <doug.willick...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Westminster Memorial Park, 1 February, 2018 (minor highlights)
2/2/18 12:40 pm <terrynjohn...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Highlights of Feb. 2 San Joaquin WS Monthly Survey
2/1/18 7:04 pm James Pike <jimpike444...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] State Lands Pass for Bolsa Chica & UNB Postponed
2/1/18 2:13 pm <terrynjohn...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> [OrangeCountyBirding] State Lands Pass Postponed for Bolsa Chica & UNB
2/1/18 9:14 am <terrynjohn...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> [OrangeCountyBirding] State Lands Pass for Bolsa Chica & UNB Postponed
2/1/18 8:44 am Peter Gordon <peterandmiko...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (female)
2/1/18 7:07 am Jeff Bray <jbray4913...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Orange County RBA: February 1, 2018
1/31/18 1:15 pm Sandra Remley <remleysandra...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Re: Palm Warbler, Santa Ana river, Glassell
1/31/18 12:57 pm Sandra Remley <remleysandra...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Palm Warbler, Santa Ana river, Glassell
1/29/18 6:09 pm Jeff Bray <jbray4913...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Sage Thrasher @ Citrus Ranch Park in Tustin 29 JAN
1/29/18 12:37 pm Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Re: Tropical Parula, anyone?
1/29/18 9:38 am Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Tropical Parula, anyone?
1/29/18 8:53 am Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> [OrangeCountyBirding] MSRP Ovenbird
1/28/18 4:44 pm Moro Rogers <mororogers...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Upper Newport Bay Bald Eagle
1/28/18 3:46 pm Liga Auzins <llauzins...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Zone-tailed Hawk in Rancho Santa Margarita 1/28/2018
1/28/18 9:24 am <rogerschoedl...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Cackling Goose
1/28/18 2:28 am 'Willick, Doug' <doug.willick...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Burris Basin, 27 January, 2018
1/27/18 6:54 pm James Pike <jimpike444...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> [OrangeCountyBirding] white gooses
1/27/18 6:29 pm Peter Gordon <peterandmiko...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (female)
1/27/18 5:34 pm Jim McNamara <jpmtcc...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker at Carbon Canyon Reg. Park - 1-27-18
1/27/18 11:35 am Liga Auzins <llauzins...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Carbon Cyn Reg Park 27 Jan 2018
1/27/18 10:57 am <rogerschoedl...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Sage Thrasher
1/26/18 9:44 pm Keneth Howard Jr <kenethhowardjr...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Burrowing owl
1/26/18 9:23 am Don Hoechlin <quixdimnd...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Yellow-bellied sapsucker

Back to top
Date: 2/25/18 11:29 am
From: Jeff Bray <jbray4913...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Palm Warbler continues at San Joaquin Marsh - 25 FEB
A Palm Warbler was reported on eBird yesterday by Christine Jacobs at San
Joaquin Marsh. It was refound this morning in the same area that she
reported yesterday. GPS: 33.657477,-117.847007 This is along the west side
of Pond 2 on the path that parallels Campus Dr.

Cliff Swallows have also returned. (multiple eBird reports this past week)
I only had ~10 this morning, but I'm sure their numbers will be increasing
in the weeks to come. There was a group of 8 of them sitting on the brick
wall that separates Pond C from the IRWD facility.

I had one interesting swallow this morning that made me think it could have
possibly been a Bank Swallow (way to early, I know), but I never got second
look at it. It was a very small swallow (smaller than Tree or Northern
Rough-winged) all brown in appearance. I only saw it from the back side. I
spent another hour waiting for it to reappear, but had no luck. It's going
to stay "spuh" on my list.

Link to my eBird list below with photos of the Palm Warbler and lots of
other interesting birds from the morning.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S43178647

Jeff Bray
Irvine, CA

Back to top
Date: 2/24/18 10:26 am
From: 'Steve Sosensky' <steve...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] White-throated Sparrow continues at Pinecrest Park, Hooded Mergs at Santiago Drainage Pond
Hi OC Birders,

The White-throated Sparrow continues at Pinecrest Park. It was with
Golden-crowned and White-crowned Sparrows between the creek and the grass,
south of the playground at about 0900 this morning (2/24). Only a Harris's
was missing.

Photo in checklist at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S43139751

I also made a stop at the Santiago drainage pond. A male and female pair of
Hooded Mergansers continue there, along with a female Canvasback, male
Ring-necked Duck, and a surprising 12 Phainopeplas in the bushes along the
right side of the pond.

Full checklist is at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S43138303

Good viewing,

Steve Sosensky

Optics4Birding

<http://www.optics4birding.com/> www.Optics4Birding.com

Phone: 949-360-6789

Toll Free: 877-674-2473

<http://www.optics4birding.com/Blog>
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Irvine/Optics4Birding/332236443680>
<http://www.twitter.com/Optics4Birding>

If you found our service helpful, please click the Facebook Like button from
<http://www.optics4birding.com/> www.Optics4Birding.com and leave a comment.

------------------------------------
Posted by: "Steve Sosensky" <steve...>
------------------------------------

Reports and bird identities are neither edited nor verified. Use at your own risk. Please consult the standard reference books for proper bird identification & currently accepted names. Please do NOT use abbreviations or acronyms in lieu of names. Both scientific and/or common names of birds are acceptable.

All posts must be on-topic: about birds/birding in Orange County, California (nowhere else!). Your posts must include both a clear subject line *and* your name *and your city of residence*. Off-topic posts will be deleted and the sender put on moderated status. Repeat offenders will be banned.

To search for a bird discussed in past messages, browse or search the archives at:

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
<OrangeCountyBirding-digest...>
<OrangeCountyBirding-fullfeatured...>

<OrangeCountyBirding-unsubscribe...>

Back to top
Date: 2/22/18 5:12 pm
From: c hardcastle <chhardcastle...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Sage Thrasher at San Joaquin wildlife sanctuary
Sage thrasher continues at sjws pond c in area where red throated pipit was seen earlier this year in the dry area In Northeast corner of basin. I only had brief look when bird flew and perched on brick wall before flying south. Time was 445 pm on 2-22-2018.

Calvin Hardcastle - Irvine

------------------------------------
Posted by: c hardcastle <chhardcastle...>
------------------------------------

Date: 2/22/18 1:52 pm
From: Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Re: Orange County RBA: February 22, 2018
As an addendum to this morning's post, I forgot to add that Sylvia
Gallagher will be teaching another round of Learning More California Bird
Sounds starting late March. You can find more information, including how to
enroll, here: http://www.seaandsageaudubon.org/Classes/LMCBS2018.pdf.

I took some of Sylvia's bird sounds classes in the past and found them to
be crucial to my early development as a birder and still, several years
later, use tips that I learned from her classes when I am making aural
identifications. I highly recommend any of her birding classes.

Ryan Winkleman
RSM

Back to top
Date: 2/22/18 11:38 am
From: Don Hoechlin <quixdimnd...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Lawrence’s Goldfinch
Yesterday I refound Lawrence’s Goldfinch that were reported at Blue Jay Campground. Photo on Flickr:https://flic.kr/p/23e4FBX. Don Hoechlin. RMV

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top

Date: 2/19/18 3:48 pm
From: James Pike <jimpike444...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] tropical thanks
For a variety of reasons, organized visits to see the Tropical Parula in
Huntington Beach have come to an end. To date, nearly 250 birders have been
able to see the bird, despite delicate onsite private property concerns.
How those obstacles were able to be overcome are due to a select group of
individuals, starting with property manager Love Douglas. If not for her
generosity and fondness for birds (and perhaps even birders by now), this
enterprise wouldn’t have had a chance of success. Equally deserving of
gratitude is Ryan Winkleman (RYWI), who devoted an excessive amount of time
to the logistics of these visitations. Without him at the hub of the wheel,
this wouldn’t have happened. Lastly, there are those that served as
leaders, with several leading multiple groups to see the bird: Brian
Daniels, Tom Wurster, Curtis Marantz, Roger Schoedl, Jeff Bray, Lucy Lee,
Liga Auzins-Wurster, Vic Leipzig, Tom Benson, and Doug Willick. A recent,
ill-fated presidential candidate once asserted, “It takes a village,” and
the success of this collective endeavor is surely proof of that. We owe
them all a lot of thanks.
Jim Pike
HB

Back to top
Date: 2/18/18 9:49 am
From: <tiorick...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Golden Eagle viewed from O’Neill Regional
Hi OC Birders yesterday (Saturday) at noonish I observed a Golden Eagle circling in the space in between Oneill Park and the Santa Ana mountains. I was half way up the Live Oak Trail on a space perfect for over looking Live Oak Canyon Road and Saddleback. At one point it was harassed by a Red-tailed Hawk and could see how much larger the Eagle was.

Rick Shearer
HB

------------------------------------
Posted by: <tiorick...>
------------------------------------

Date: 2/16/18 1:35 pm
From: <terrynjohn...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Highlights of Feb. 16 Harriett Wieder Park Count
We had a beautiful clear morning for our February 16 Harriett Wieder Park count this morning, with some good birds to go along with it. Highlights included:

1 COMMON GOLDENEYE - female - in the Bolsa Chica cell going out from the playground area. Jan Gaffney and I both got long distance photos, which we’ll post on eBird when the lists are entered.
1 CALIFORNIA THRASHER - in the area below Seapoint and Garfield.
1 FOX SPARROW - Fisher’s Gulch area on the ocean side with White-crowned Sparrows
1 GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW
1 Lincoln’s Sparrow
2 Peregrine Falcons (male & female)

Terry Hill
Huntington Beach

Back to top
Date: 2/15/18 6:32 am
From: Jeff Bray <jbray4913...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Orange County RBA: February 15, 2018
*RBA*

* California
* Orange County
* February 15, 2018
* CAOC18.02.15

This is the Orange County, CA weekly Rare Bird Alert (RBA) and local events
summary. California Bird Records Committee (CBRC) review species are
capitalized and marked with asterisks below. All documentation of review
species should be forwarded to the CBRC secretary, Tom Benson, at
<secretary...>

*BIRDS MENTIONED*

Eurasian Wigeon
White-winged Scoter
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron
Zone-tailed Hawk
Pacific Golden-Plover
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Prairie Falcon
Hammond’s Flycatcher
Sage Thrasher
Green-tailed Towhee
Clay-colored Sparrow
Vesper Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Ovenbird
Northern Waterthrush
Black-and-white Warbler
**TROPICAL PARULA**
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Palm Warbler

A EURASIAN WIGEON continued at Pearson Park in Anaheim through February 11.
It was seen in the pond and stream on the north side of the park. A second
bird continued at Burris Basin / Anaheim Coves Park in Anaheim on February
4.

Two WHITE-WINGED SCOTERS were reported near the Newport Pier in Newport
Beach on February 11 and continued through February 14. They’re often seen
just off shore near the jetty at 36th street.

A YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON continued still at the "pocket pond" at Bolsa
Chica Ecological Reserve in Huntington Beach through February 10.

A ZONE-TAILED HAWK continued in the Rancho Santa Margarita area on February
10, where it was observed midday cruising over the Arroyo Trabuco from
Ryan's totally amazing, excellent backyard (again).

Up to five PACIFIC GOLDEN-PLOVERS continued at Naval Weapons Station Seal
Beach in Seal Beach on February 10, where this species has wintered in
small numbers for years.

A YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER continued at Carbon Canyon Regional Park in Brea
through February 14. The bird likes to hang out in the trees to the east of
the tennis courts.

A PRAIRIE FALCON continued at Naval Weapons Station Seal Beach in Seal
Beach on February 14, where this has now become the only really reliable
location to see this species in Orange County (thanks, Orange County Cement
Park).

A HAMMOND’S FLYCATCHER continued at Mile Square Regional Park in Fountain
Valley through February 11, where it continued in the pine trees to the
east of Shelter 17. A second bird continued at Santiago Park in Santa Ana
through February 13. This bird is seen near the lawn bowling area.

Three SAGE THRASHERS were found in the county this week. The first two
continued along the Brighwater Trail at Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve in
Huntington Beach through February 14. The third bird was found at the UC
Irvine Ecological Reserve in Irvine on February 11. This is part of an
apparent major flight year for this species into our region. For those
keeping count, this now makes a whopping SIX Sage Thrashers reported in
over just the last couple weeks (and a seventh was reported from NWS Seal
Beach in the fall). These current movements are undoubtedly early spring
migrants, though they are definitely occurring in higher numbers than
anybody would expect.

A GREEN-TAILED TOWHEE continued along the Brighwater Trail at Bolsa Chica
Ecological Reserve in Huntington Beach through February 10.

A CLAY-COLORED SPARROW continued at Huntington Central Park in Huntington
Beach through February 9. It’s been seen with a small flock of Chipping
Sparrows that moves around in the larger lawn area to the north of "the
island."

Two VESPER SPARROWS were seen at Naval Weapons Station Seal Beach in Seal
Beach on February 10.

A WHITE-THROATED SPARROW continued at Pinecrest Park in Mission Viejo
through February 11, where it is frequently found foraging around the slope
below the entrance path into the park. A second bird was found at Moulton
Meadows Park in Laguna Beach on February 11. It was seen with an
extra-large Zonotrichia flock at the south end of the soccer field near a
tan maintenance shed.

An OVENBIRD continued at Mile Square Regional Park in Fountain Valley
through February 13, where it has most frequently been found skulking
around the northeast corner of the maintenance yard bordering the golf
course (approximately 33.717413, -117.943443).

A NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH continued at Huntington Central Park in Huntington
Beach on February 10, where it is typically seen inside and around "the
island.”

A BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER continued this week at Huntington Central Park in
Huntington Beach through February 3, generally in the vicinity of "the
island." A second bird was reported along the Oso Creek Trail in Mission
Viejo on February 12 and 13.

**A TROPICAL PARULA continued on private property in Huntington Beach
through February 10. *UPDATE:* Access to the bird has thus far been
provided on a limited basis for prearranged, organized groups only and with
an understanding that it will be arranged one trip or weekend at a time and
could be ended at any time at the property's discretion. As of February 14,
trips have been suspended until further notice at the property manager's
request, and any birders entering the property will be considered
trespassing. If you have seen the bird already, please forward
documentation to Tom Benson at <secretary...> for CRBC
record keeping. If you use eBird, please report the bird to the EBIRD
HOTSPOT only, located at the intersection of Goldenwest and Yorktown in
Huntington Beach, and do not use a personal location of your own. If you
upload photos to social media, please remove all location-based metadata so
that the photograph location is not visible. Submissions to eBird are the
exception and do not need to have any data changed beforehand.

A CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER continued at Huntington Central Park in Huntington
Beach through February 11. The bird has been found at the south end of the
eucalyptus trees that run along the west side of Huntington Lake and likes
to frequent "Kevin's bench."

A PALM WARBLER continued at Huntington Central Park in Huntington Beach
through February 9. It tends to move around between "the island" and the
vegetation bordering Gothard.

*LOCAL EVENTS*

*UPCOMING EVENTS THAT DO NOT REQUIRE ADVANCE RESERVATIONS*

The Upper Newport Bay monthly bird walk will take place on February 25 from
8:00am to 11:00am. Meet at the Big Canyon parking lot.

*UPCOMING EVENTS THAT REQUIRE ADVANCE RESERVATIONS*

The Upper Newport Bay by pontoon boat trip will take place on February 21
from 8:15am to 11:00am. E-mail Nancy Kenyon if interested.

Date: 2/15/18 1:51 am
From: 'Willick, Doug' <doug.willick...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Comment on the Mile Square Park Ovenbird
Just a short comment on the Ovenbird (found originally by Tom Wurster) that's been wintering at Mile Square Regional Park. As most know, the bird has been fairly reliable in the northeastern corner of the maintenance yard, which is sandwiched narrowly between the golf course to the west, and the southwestern corner of the park to the east. I was in the area on Tuesday (13 Feb.), and finally dropped by to look for the Ovenbird (actually had looked once a month ago, and missed the bird, during the last hour of light). So on Tuesday, although it appeared in only about 5 minutes, in the "usual" corner adjacent to the maintenance yard, I soon lost it when a mower came by the area. After about 15 minutes of not refinding it, I looked at patch of vegetation that was about 100 to 125 feet north of the "normal spot" (i..e., the corner adjacent to the maintenance yard), and was a bit surprised to see the bird. This bit of vegetation is very narrow and isolated, and not what I'd expect to see an Ovenbird using. (This is a tall [6'-8'?], hedgerow like patch, growing narrowly along a chainlink fence, for only about 15 feet in length.) This is about 30 feet in from (west of) the fence that forms the border of the park here. Anyway, just thought I'd mention it, in case the bird isn't seen in the little corner next to the maintenance yard. The Western Flycatcher that's been frequenting this same little corner was also present Tuesday afternoon.

Doug Willick
Orange, CA

Back to top
Date: 2/14/18 8:42 pm
From: Don Hoechlin <quixdimnd...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Purple Finch
Had two Purple Finch at O’Neill regional park today. See photos on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/128470460@N05/shares/722870. Don Hoechlin. RMV

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 2/14/18 8:12 pm
From: Don Hoechlin <quixdimnd...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] White-winged Scoters
Multiple White-winged Scoters seen off Newport Beach jetties yesterday. See photos on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/128470460@N05/shares/vS4393. Don Hoechlin. RMV

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 2/13/18 8:00 am
From: Don Hoechlin <quixdimnd...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] White-winged Scoter
There were at least two white-winged scoters at Newport beach jetties, in front of the 38th St. jerry this morning about 7:15.See photo on Flickr : https://flic.kr/p/22WZRLD. Don Hoechlin. RMV

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 2/11/18 12:28 pm
From: rick shearer <tiorick...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] White-winged Scoter
You can see the flock at the third jetty around 36 Street. The w w Scoter is hard to spot until it flaps its wings and the white part of the wings show. Jeff Bray has also seen it this wsy and at 12:27 is still there trying to scope and phoyogaph it
..

Rick Shearer
HB
________________________________
Date: 2/11/18 12:23 pm
From: Jeff Bray <jbray4913...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] White-winged Scoter - Newport Beach

Looking at the female White-winged Scoter that was reported this morning at the 36th Street jetty. I’ve seen it preening and wing flapping a few times now. The Scoter flock is quite small. ~50 birds.

Jeff Bray

Irvine, CA

Back to top
Date: 2/11/18 12:01 pm
From: Shirley Reynolds <trailgirl888...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>

I found at least one White-winged Scoter south of two rafts of 100 or more Surf Scoter viewed in Scope from end of Newport Pier 8 am looking west. Confirmed by Walter Piper.
Shirley Reynolds
Laguna Niguel
Sent from my iPhone

------------------------------------
Posted by: Shirley Reynolds <trailgirl888...>
------------------------------------

Date: 2/9/18 1:22 pm
From: <terrynjohn...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Highlights of Feb. 9 Bolsa Chica Monthly Bird Count
It was a very cold, breezy morning today (Feb. 9) at Bolsa Chica. Dense fog rolled in before the count, but had changed to low clouds by the start. It stayed that way all morning. Despite the cold, we did have the following highlights:

2 Sage Thrashers (one in the “big bowl” area of the Brightwater Trail; the other on the fence by the trail separating the lower mesa from the Outer Bolsa Bay [Warner Ave. to tide gates]).
2 Rock Wrens (both in the “big bowl” area of the Brightwater Trail.
1 Yellow-crowned Night-heron (hiding among the limbs at the base of the dead tree at the end of the Pocket Pond where the trail comes down from Brightwater to the channel). Its plumage is starting to change into adult.
1 Loggerhead Shrike (in the area across the above trail from the Pocket Pond)
1 Golden-crowned Sparrow (Brightwater Trail).
3 Reddish Egrets
2 Royal Terns
1 Black Skimmer
186 Brants
We struck out on any Burrowing Owls, Green-tailed Towhee, and Ridgway’s Rail today. Also, still no Forster’s Terns.

Terry Hill
Huntington Beach

Back to top
Date: 2/8/18 7:26 am
From: Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Orange County RBA: February 8, 2018
*RBA*

* California
* Orange County
* February 8, 2018
* CAOC18.02.08

This is the Orange County, CA weekly Rare Bird Alert (RBA) and local events
summary. California Bird Records Committee (CBRC) review species are
capitalized and marked with asterisks below. All documentation of review
species should be forwarded to the CBRC secretary, Tom Benson, at
<secretary...>

*BIRDS MENTIONED*

Eurasian Wigeon
White-winged Scoter
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron
Zone-tailed Hawk
Pacific Golden-Plover
Costa's Hummingbird
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Prairie Falcon
Hammond’s Flycatcher
Gray Flycatcher
Ash-throated Flycatcher
Plumbeous Vireo
Sage Thrasher
Green-tailed Towhee
Clay-colored Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Ovenbird
Northern Waterthrush
Black-and-white Warbler
**TROPICAL PARULA**
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Palm Warbler
Black-throated Gray Warbler

A EURASIAN WIGEON continued at Pearson Park in Anaheim through February 4.
It was seen in the pond and stream on the north side of the park. A second
bird continued at Burris Basin / Anaheim Coves Park in Anaheim on February
4.

Eight WHITE-WINGED SCOTERS were reported flying out past Newport Pier on
February 5. Unfortunately, these birds are obviously not chaseable, but
they do represent the highest count of this species here in quite a long
time.

A YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON continued still at the "pocket pond" at Bolsa
Chica Ecological Reserve in Huntington Beach through February 4.

A ZONE-TAILED HAWK continued in the Rancho Santa Margarita area on February
2, where it was observed midday cruising over the Arroyo Trabuco from
Ryan's totally amazing, excellent backyard.

Up to three PACIFIC GOLDEN-PLOVERS continued at Naval Weapons Station Seal
Beach in Seal Beach on February 3, where this species has wintered in small
numbers for years.

As many as four COSTA'S HUMMINGBIRDS were reported in the county last week.
These were reported from an office complex in Irvine on February 1, Tree of
Life Nursery off Ortega Highway (February 1-2), Ryan's freaking cool
backyard (February 2), and Upper Newport Bay in the Big Canyon area on
February 5. The Tree of Life bird was the most popular and drew the biggest
turnouts.

A YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER continued at Carbon Canyon Regional Park in Brea
through February 6. The bird likes to hang out in the trees to the east of
the tennis courts.

A PRAIRIE FALCON continued at Naval Weapons Station Seal Beach in Seal
Beach on February 3, where this has now become the only really reliable
location to see this species in Orange County (thanks, Orange County Crap
Park).

A HAMMOND’S FLYCATCHER continued at Mile Square Regional Park in Fountain
Valley through February 4, where it continued in the pine trees to the east
of Shelter 17. A second bird was found on February 5 at Lago Santa
Margarita in Rancho Santa Margarita (the Jewel of Orange County), where it
was moving all over the place in the trees over the little sitting area
just west of the terminus of Vereda Laguna.

A GRAY FLYCATCHER continued at Mile Square Regional Park in Fountain Valley
through February 3. In the past it has typically been seen along the fence
line to the right as you’re entering the park from the Edinger entrance at
Ward, but this time it was found on "the norrth side of wild side." A
second bird continued at Irvine Regional Park in Orange on February 2,
where it was still hanging out between lots 2 and 3.

An ASH-THROATED FLYCATCHER was reported from Burris Basin on February 1,
where it crossed the bicycle path at approximately 33.82259, -117.87248.

A probable PLUMBEOUS VIREO was photographed at Eisenhower Park in Orange on
February 6.

Three SAGE THRASHERS were found in the county this week. The first two were
present in the vicinity of the Fordham entrance to the Brighwater Trail at
Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve in Huntington Beach through February 5. The
third bird was found at the Live Oak Campground in Caspers Wilderness Park
on February 2. This is part of an apparent major flight year for this
species into our region. For those keeping count, this now makes a whopping
FIVE Sage Thrashers reported in over just the last couple weeks (and a
sixth was reported from NWS Seal Beach in the fall). These current
movements are undoubtedly early spring migrants, though they are definitely
occurring in higher numbers than anybody would expect.

Three GREEN-TAILED TOWHEES were reported in the last week. One was found
off the Fordham entrance to the Brighwater Trail at Bolsa Chica Ecological
Reserve in Huntington Beach and continued through February 4, one was at
Naval Weapons Station Seal Beach in Seal Beach on February 3 (presumably a
continuing bird, where one has wintered the last several years), and one
continued on private property in Irvine on February 1.

A CLAY-COLORED SPARROW continued at Huntington Central Park in Huntington
Beach through February 4. It’s been seen with a small flock of Chipping
Sparrows that moves around in the larger lawn area to the north of "the
island."

Two WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS continued this week in the county. One
continued at Pinecrest Park in Mission Viejo through February 7, where it
is frequently found foraging around the slope below the entrance path into
the park. The second bird continued at Mile Square Regional Park in
Fountain Valley through February 6, where it was seen in the nature center
area.

An OVENBIRD continued at Mile Square Regional Park in Fountain Valley
through February 6, where it has most frequently been found skulking around
the northeast corner of the maintenance yard bordering the golf course
(approximately 33.717413, -117.943443). Another Ovenbird continued at
Huntington Central Park West.

A NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH continued at Huntington Central Park in Huntington
Beach on February 3, where it is typically seen inside and around "the
island.”

A BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER continued this week at Huntington Central Park in
Huntington Beach through February 3, generally in the vicinity of "the
island."

**A TROPICAL PARULA continued on private property in Huntington Beach
through February 7. Access to the bird has been provided on a limited basis
for prearranged, organized groups only and with an understanding that it
will be arranged one trip or weekend at a time and could be ended at any
time at the property's discretion. If you are going on a trip or have seen
the bird already, please forward documentation to Tom Benson at
<secretary...> for CRBC record keeping. If you use eBird,
please report the bird to the EBIRD HOTSPOT only, located at the
intersection of Goldenwest and Yorktown in Huntington Beach, and do not use
a personal location of your own. If you upload photos to social media,
please remove all location-based metadata so that the photograph location
is not visible. Submissions to eBird are the exception and do not need to
have any data changed beforehand.

A CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER continued at Huntington Central Park in Huntington
Beach through February 4. The bird has been found at the south end of the
eucalyptus trees that run along the west side of Huntington Lake and likes
to frequent "Kevin's bench."

A PALM WARBLER continued at Huntington Central Park in Huntington Beach
through February 4. It tends to move around between "the island" and the
vegetation bordering Gothard.

A BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLER was at Westminster Memorial Park in
Westminster on February 1, where it was found with a roving band of
passerines in the central/south-central portion of the cemetery.

*LOCAL EVENTS*

*UPCOMING EVENTS THAT DO NOT REQUIRE ADVANCE RESERVATIONS*

The monthly bird walk at San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary in Irvine will take
place on February 11 from 8:00am to 12:00pm.Meet at the Audubon House.

*UPCOMING EVENTS THAT REQUIRE ADVANCE RESERVATIONS*

The Morro Bay trip to be held from February 9-11 has been cancelled.

The Upper Newport Bay by pontoon boat trip will take place on February 21
from 8:15a to 11:00am. E-mail Nancy Kenyon if interested. nancykenyon@cox.
net

Date: 2/8/18 12:47 am
From: Don Hoechlin <quixdimnd...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Sage Thrasher at Brightwater Trail
Some more Sage Thrasher photos from Brightwater Trail. Flickr : https://www..flickr.com/photos/128470460@N05/shares/W057t0. Don Hoechlin. RMV.

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 2/4/18 7:46 pm
From: Peter Gordon <peterandmiko...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Brightwater Trailhead Birds on Sunday
Good evening all,

My wife and I birded Bolsa Chica near the Brightwater Trailhead today and were able to get good looks at the Burrowing Owl and the Sage Thrasher, and some marginal looks at the Green-tailed Towhee. We also saw a Peregrine Falcon, House Wren and a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, and a host of other more common birds and waterfowl.

Beautiful day for birding in Orange County.

Peter Gordon
Foothill Ranch,

https://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S42502922

https://www.flickr.com/gp/132020997@N07/tApP27

Back to top
Date: 2/3/18 3:20 pm
From: <tiorick...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Bolsa Chica Burrowing Owls
Hi OC Birders, there are 3 Bolsa Chica Brightwater Burrowing Owls right now. Saw them yesterday and again this afternoon. See Rick Shearer in Flickr or my eBird checklist for the photos. https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S42445300 https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S42445300

Rick Shearer
HB

Back to top
Date: 2/3/18 8:27 am
From: Don Hoechlin <quixdimnd...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Green-tailed Towhee and Sage Thrasher photos
You can see photos of these two birds on Flick you can see photos of these two birds on Flickr:https://flic.kr/p/2436dqc and https://flic.kr/p/FUagjo and https://flic.kr/p/24368Z8 and https://flic.kr/p/22XhVuf and https://flic.kr/p/22XhVkh and https://flic.kr/p/EnTQKR. Don Hoechlin. RMV.

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 2/3/18 8:05 am
From: Don Hoechlin <quixdimnd...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Green-tailed towhee and sage thrasher
One green-tail towhee and to Sage threshers are present on brightwater trail this morning. The birds are present at the Fordham entrance to Brightwater trail. Photos to follow.
Don Hoechlin RMV.
Sent from my iPhone

------------------------------------
Posted by: Don Hoechlin <quixdimnd...>
------------------------------------

Date: 2/3/18 1:35 am
From: 'Willick, Doug' <doug.willick...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Westminster Memorial Park, 1 February, 2018 (minor highlights)
On Thursday (1 February) I made at stop at Westminster Memorial Park, accessed off Beach Boulevard in Westminster, and had a few things of minor note. An adult male Black-throated Gray Warbler (possibly a continuing bird) was in the central, to south-central portion of the cemetery, which came in to a magnolia tree with a roving flock of Yellow-rumped Warblers (and "flock-mates", such as Orange-crowns, Ruby-crowned Kinglets, Japanese White-eyes, etc.). In this same general area, an interesting Northern Flicker was seen foraging at the base of a large tree. The flicker showed classic features of an intergrade (which are actually not all that rare if one looks through a number of wintering flickers in So Cal). The bird showed the red malar stripes of a "Red-shafted" Flicker, although had a red nape crescent consistent with "Yellow-shafted" (YSFL). The face and fore-neck coloration appeared to be closer to that of YSFL, and in flight it appeared to show a yellowish, or orangish-yellow color to the underwing. Oddly enough, this was the only flicker seen during this visit. A couple photos of the bird have been placed on my Flicker site: https://www.flickr.com/photos/56018183@N08/39156520985/in/photostream/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/56018183@N08/39156509105/in/photostream/ .

A small flock of Chipping Sparrows were also in this area (a somewhat sparse wintering species on the coastal lowlands of OC), and was impressed with the number of Hutton's Vireos present (about four or five, several of these singing/calling a fair amount). Despite the singing, I would presume that most of these Hutton's Vireos are winter visitors here, but not certain on that.

Doug Willick
Orange, CA

Back to top
Date: 2/2/18 12:40 pm
From: <terrynjohn...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Highlights of Feb. 2 San Joaquin WS Monthly Survey
Highlights of the February 2 San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary Monthly Survey today included the following:

1 immature Snow Goose sitting on the island of Pond 1 the whole time.
1 Greater White-fronted Goose first on the island of Pond 1, then into the water, and flew off with some Canada Geese about 8 a.m., heading either toward San Diego Creek or Mason Reg. Park
1 Egyptian Goose on Pond 2
1 female Phainopepla in the trees next to Audubon House (left side if you’re facing Audubon House).
All the Stilts and Avocets were on the island on Pond 1 this morning.

Terry Hill
Huntington Beach

Back to top
Date: 2/1/18 7:04 pm
From: James Pike <jimpike444...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] State Lands Pass for Bolsa Chica & UNB Postponed
Good news. I'd be in favor of fees being charged at Bolsa Chica if some or
all of what was being contributed was being utilized to improve conditions
onsite. For example, I'd gladly pay if it could help actualize the erection
of fencing along the entire border with Pacific Coast Highway (or,
alternatively, the raising of the Bolsa Chica State Beach fences that
border PCH). One only needs to walk the loop-trail a handful of times to
soon appreciate the significant quantity of trash that floats across the
highway on a daily basis, with most destined to settle into the benthic
substrate of the marsh. On warm days conducive to beach-going, I usually
return to the parking lot with a back-pocket stuffed with plastic trash. If
$25/year can bring an end to this, along with entry to a few other
locations, sign me up. Conversely, if the fees are simply because the
agency is considered to be underfunded, I'm not on board.

Jim Pike
HB

On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 9:13 AM, <terrynjohn...>
[OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> wrote:

> I received a message this morning from the BC Conservancy that the State
> Lands Pass fee for Bolsa Chica and Upper Newport Bay has been suspended
> indefinitely. Here is the url for the newspaper article:
>
> http://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-pilot/news/tn-dpt-me-
> bolsa-chica-fees-20180131-story.html.
>

> Terry Hill
>
> Huntington Beach

Back to top
Date: 2/1/18 2:13 pm
From: <terrynjohn...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] State Lands Pass Postponed for Bolsa Chica & UNB
I received an e-mail this morning from Grace Adams at the Bolsa Chica Conservancy, with the following url:
http://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-pilot/news/tn-dpt-me-bolsa-chica-fees-20180131-story.html http://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-pilot/news/tn-dpt-me-bolsa-chica-fees-20180131-story.html. It indicates that the state lands pass for Bolsa Chica and Upper Newport Bay have been postponed indefinitely.

Terry Hill
Huntington Beach

Back to top

Date: 2/1/18 8:44 am
From: Peter Gordon <peterandmiko...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (female)
Updated with correct links.

Good evening,

I spent about an hour and a half at Carbon Canyon Regional Park this afternoon birding the area where the Yellow-bellied Sapsucker had been reported. After seeing several common species, with lots of color, I was about to leave without seeing the bird, when she flew into the liquid amber trees near the closed east entrance of the park. I think she came from the are of the horse stables across Lambert Road.

She arrived about 2:55 pm, and moved leisurely from leafless tree to tree. She started at the first tree to the east of the closed entrance, and moved westward into the trees near the closed entrance station. She was still there when I departed around 3:30 pm.

Ebird and flickr links below.

https://www.flickr.com/x/t/0093009/photos/132020997@N07/28156885589/

Pete Gordon
Foothill Ranch, CA

Back to top
Date: 2/1/18 7:07 am
From: Jeff Bray <jbray4913...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Orange County RBA: February 1, 2018
*RBA*

* California
* Orange County
* February 1, 2018
* CAOC18.02.01

This is the Orange County, CA weekly Rare Bird Alert (RBA) and local events
summary. California Bird Records Committee (CBRC) review species are
capitalized and marked with asterisks below. All documentation of review
species should be forwarded to the CBRC secretary, Tom Benson, at
<secretary...>

*BIRDS MENTIONED*

Eurasian Wigeon
Common Goldeneye
Zone-tailed Hawk
Lewis’s Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Hammond’s Flycatcher
Gray Flycatcher
Sage Thrasher
Green-tailed Towhee
Clay-colored Sparrow
Grasshopper Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Ovenbird
Northern Waterthrush
Black-and-white Warbler
**TROPICAL PARULA**
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Palm Warbler
Pine Warbler

A EURASIAN WIGEON continued at Pearson Park in Anaheim through January 28.
It was seen in the pond and stream on the north side of the park. A second
bird was reported at Burris Basin / Anaheim Coves Park in Anaheim on
January 27. It was seen with a fairly large group of American Wigeon.

Two COMMON GOLDENEYES were seen in Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve in
Huntington Beach on January 25, visible from nearby Harriett Wieder
Regional Park.

A ZONE-TAILED HAWK continued in the Rancho Santa Margarita area on January
28, where it was seen midday from the public trail behind the Ford
Dealership.

A LEWIS’S WOODPECKER continued at Caspers Wilderness Park off Hwy 74
through January 30. The bird flies back and forth across the dry creek bed,
often landing in an oak tree just south of the Nature Center.

A YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER continued at Carbon Canyon Regional Park in Brea
through January 30. The bird moved around a lot but was photographed
hanging out in the trees to the east of the tennis courts.

A HAMMOND’S FLYCATCHER continued at Mile Square Regional Park in Fountain
Valley on January 29, where it was photographed in the trees to the east of
Shelter 17. A second bird continued at Santiago Park in Santa Ana through
January 27. Often seen to the south of the Lawn Bowling facility.

A GRAY FLYCATCHER continued at Mile Square Regional Park in Fountain Valley
through January 31 along the fence line to the right as you’re entering the
park from the Edinger entrance at Ward. A second bird continued at Irvine
Regional Park in Orange on January 26, where it was still hanging out
between lots 2 and 3.

Two SAGE THRASHERS were found in the county this week. The first was seen
along the oil road behind the fence line at Harriett Wieder Regional Park
in Huntington Beach on January 27. The second bird was found at Citrus
Ranch Park in Tustin on January 29. This bird was seen up at the top of the
park near the gazebo.

A GREEN-TAILED TOWHEE continued at Harriet Wieder Park in Huntington Beach
through January 28. This bird has been seen at the upper end of Fisher's
Gulch and is typically observed scratching around in leaf litter with a
flock of White-crowned Sparrows.

A CLAY-COLORED SPARROW continued at Huntington Central Park in Huntington
Beach through January 29. It’s been seen with a small flock of Chipping
Sparrows that moves around in the larger lawn area to the north of "the
island."

A GRASSHOPPER SPARROW was reported from the Turtle Rock (Chaparral Park)
area in Irvine on January 26. It was seen in the open space area near GPS:
33.639174, -117.816106.

Two WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS continued this week in the county. One
continued at Pinecrest Park in Mission Viejo through January 29, where it
is frequently found foraging around the slope below the entrance path into
the park. The second bird continued at Mile Square Regional Park in
Fountain Valley through January 26, where it was seen in the nature center
area.

An OVENBIRD continued at Mile Square Regional Park in Fountain Valley
through January 29, where it has most frequently been found skulking around
the northeast corner of the maintenance yard bordering the golf course
(approximately 33.717413, -117.943443).

A NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH continued at Huntington Central Park in Huntington
Beach on January 28, where it is typically seen inside and around "the
island.”

A BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER continued this week at Huntington Central Park in
Huntington Beach through January 27, generally in the vicinity of "the
island."

**A TROPICAL PARULA continued on private property in Huntington Beach on
January 28. Access to the bird has been provided on a limited basis for
prearranged, organized groups only and with an understanding that it will
be arranged one trip or weekend at a time and could be ended at any time at
the property's discretion. If you are going on a trip or have seen the bird
already, please forward documentation to Tom Benson at
<secretary...> for CRBC record keeping. If you use eBird,
please report the bird to the EBIRD HOTSPOT only, located at the
intersection of Goldenwest and Yorktown in Huntington Beach, and do not use
a personal location of your own. If you upload photos to social media,
please remove all location-based metadata so that the photograph location
is not visible. Submissions to eBird are the exception and do not need to
have any data changed beforehand.

A CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER continued at Huntington Central Park in Huntington
Beach through January 27. The bird has been found at the south end of the
eucalyptus trees that run along the west side of Huntington Lake and likes
to frequent "Kevin's bench."

A PALM WARBLER continued at Huntington Central Park in Huntington Beach
through January 28. It tends to move around between "the island" and the
vegetation bordering Gothard. A second bird was found along the Santa Ana
River in Anaheim on January 31. It was seen along the bike path on the
south side of the river and west of Glassell Street.

A PINE WARBLER continued at Mile Square Regional Park in Fountain Valley
through January 29, where it is typically reported off the entrance off
Ward and Edinger in the vicinity of the white wall that runs along the golf
course.

*LOCAL EVENTS*

*UPCOMING EVENTS THAT DO NOT REQUIRE ADVANCE RESERVATIONS*

The monthly wildlife walk at San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary in Irvine will
take place on February 3 from 9:00am to 10:30am. Meet at the Audubon House.

The monthly bird walk at San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary in Irvine will take
place on February 11 from 8:00am to 12:00pm. Meet at the Audubon House.

*UPCOMING EVENTS THAT REQUIRE ADVANCE RESERVATIONS*

The Salton Sea weekend trip will taking place on February 3 and 4, but has
already filled up. Please email Nancy Kenyon at <nancykenyon...> if you
would like to be on the wait list.

Date: 1/31/18 1:15 pm
From: Sandra Remley <remleysandra...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Re: Palm Warbler, Santa Ana river, Glassell
coordinates 33.8412,-117.85603

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 12:40 PM, Sandra Remley <remleysandra...>
wrote:

> Hi
>
> Bird was west of Glassell, just before rubber dam, along the dirt path
> that runs parallel to black iron fencing.
>
> Sandy Remley
> Orange

Back to top

Date: 1/29/18 6:09 pm
From: Jeff Bray <jbray4913...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Sage Thrasher @ Citrus Ranch Park in Tustin 29 JAN
I was up at the top of Citrus Ranch Park in Tustin this evening (near the
gazebo) photographing the sunset and I had a Sage Thrasher pop out of a
bush about 5 feet from me. It was nearly dark (5:30p) and all I had was my
24mm lens, but I was able to salvage a terrible photo that's attached to
the checklist below. It was scratching around in the open dirt and then
flew off.

Jeff Bray
Irvine, CA

Back to top
Date: 1/29/18 12:37 pm
From: Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Re: Tropical Parula, anyone?
I've got enough people now to cover the Huntington Beach Tropical Parula
groups for this week. You can still email me at <OCTRPA...> (OCTRPA at
Gmail dot com) to be on the general waitlist but please only list your
general future availability *after* this week.

Again, there are no guarantees that trips will continue after this week. If
they do, the people on the waitlist will be put on them to the extent
possible until such time that the bird is no longer being seen or the trips
are otherwise ended for other reasons.

Ryan Winkleman
RSM

On Jan 29, 2018 9:36 AM, "Ryan Winkleman" <rswinkleman...> wrote:

> Buongiorno Orange County,
>
> The Tropical Parula waitlist has mostly run out and I can accept some more
> names. At the property manager's request we are scaling things back a bit
> and are now currently expecting a trip this Thursday, February 1, and
> another on Saturday, February 3.
>
> If you would like to put your name down, please email your availability
> for these dates to <OCTRPA...> (OCTRPA at Gmail dot com). There is
> currently much more availability on Thursday, and Saturday is basically
> full already from the remnant waitlisters. Your best chance to get out this
> week is on Thursday. Please do not email my personal email address.
>
> These trips are still one week at a time. I am doing my best to secure
> trips each week but it's up to the property management to keep allowing
> them and up to the bird to keep showing up. Again, please don't go by
> yourself if you know where the bird is.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Ryan Winkleman
> RSM

Back to top

Date: 1/29/18 8:53 am
From: Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] MSRP Ovenbird
The Ovenbird at Mile Square Regional Park in Fountain Valley continued at
approximately 8:30 this morning in the outer northeast corner of the
maintenance yard east of the Warner/Ward entrance. The bird was not visible
most of the time I was there, but popped into the open a few times briefly
while walking around underneath all the brush. There were two maintenance
guys cutting open the nearby sidewalk very loudly, which made for a very
pleasant and relaxing birding experience.

Ryan Winkleman
RSM

Back to top
Date: 1/28/18 4:44 pm
From: Moro Rogers <mororogers...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Upper Newport Bay Bald Eagle
Trailering my son around the bay in my bike today around 12:30, I saw an
adult Bald Eagle circling around the north end. It had tags on both wings
but I couldn't get the binocs out fast enough to see a number.
Other good stuff included a couple of Sharp-shinned Hawks, Greater
Yellowlegs and a bunch of Redheads near the Jamboree bridge.

Moro Rogers
Dana Point

Back to top
Date: 1/28/18 3:46 pm
From: Liga Auzins <llauzins...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Zone-tailed Hawk in Rancho Santa Margarita 1/28/2018
Birders,

The adult Zone-tailed Hawk made another pass by the Ford and Honda dealerships in Rancho Santa Margarita. Today, Sunday, it had a 2:00 PM curtain call. It circled up into view on the opposite side of Arroyo Trabuco, crossed the arroyo, then made repeated low passes near the palms that line Auto Center Drive before drifting down the Arroyo and out of sight. The entire show took only about 8-9 minutes.

Legal parking is a challenge or simply inconvenient; however there was ample restricted parking for anyone willing to chance having their car towed.

Tom Wurster
Garden Grove

Sent from my iPhone

------------------------------------
Posted by: Liga Auzins <llauzins...>
------------------------------------

Date: 1/28/18 9:24 am
From: <rogerschoedl...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Cackling Goose
One CACKLING GOOSE was sitting on Lake Huntington at Huntington Central Park at dawn this morning.

The purplish breast, near absence of a white collar, and rounded crown indicate it is of the minima subspecies.

It flew off to forage somewhere else at sunrise. Most of the geese that roost overnight on the lake typically depart at dawn.

Roger Schoedl
Huntington Beach

Back to top
Date: 1/28/18 2:28 am
From: 'Willick, Doug' <doug.willick...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Burris Basin, 27 January, 2018
Made a late afternoon visit to Burris Basin/Anaheim Coves Park, in east Anaheim, on Saturday (27 January). There was a decent number of birds on the reservoir, although species diversity was rather low. A male Eurasian Wigeon was with a fairly large group of American Wigeon (at least 150 birds), and Northern Shovelers (roughly 75), which were scattered about the southern end of Burris. The Eurasian was with a sub-group of about 75 wigeon and shovelers in the far southwestern corner of the basin. This was undoubtedly the same bird first found (as far I know) by Gary Meredith, and reported back on 14 January.

Up closer to the northern end of Burris was a group of 12 Common Mergansers (all female plumaged); although a far cry from 25-30 years ago when there would often be winters with concentrations of around 200 or more Common Mergansers on Burris, in recent years very few if any have been present (almost easier to find this species now, in the OC, along the "upper" stretches of the Santa Ana River). A good-sized concentration of American White Pelicans were loafing along the eastern shoreline of Burris during early evening, with about 250 being initially estimated. Then at about dusk, another 100 pelicans came flying in from the northeast (presumably the Santa Ana River Lakes complex), and eventually the whole group appeared to begin "mobilizing" into foraging groups as they often would seem to do (at Burris at least) right as it begins to get dark.

Doug Willick
Orange, CA
https://www.flickr.com/photos/56018183@N08/39910243372/in/photostream/

Back to top
Date: 1/27/18 6:54 pm
From: James Pike <jimpike444...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] white gooses
Late afternoon on the golf course in the NW corner of Mile Square Park,
there were six white geese: an immature Ross's foraging with the similarly
sized Egyptians, the continuing white Canada, three immature Snows, and the
undersized adult "Snow."

Jim Pike
HB

Back to top
Date: 1/27/18 6:29 pm
From: Peter Gordon <peterandmiko...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Good evening.

I spent about an hour and a half at Carbon Canyon Regional Park this afternoon birding the area where the Yellow-bellied Sapsucker had been reported. After seeing several common species, with lots of color, I was about to leave without seeing the bird, when she flew into the liquid amber trees near the closed east entrance of the park. I think she came from the are of the horse stables across Lambert Road.

She arrived about 2:55 pm, and moved leisurely from leafless tree to tree. She started at the first tree to the east of the closed entrance, and moved westward into the trees near the closed entrance station. She was still there when I departed around 3:30 pm.

Ebird checklist link below.

Pete Gordon
Foothill Ranch, CA

Back to top
Date: 1/27/18 5:34 pm
From: Jim McNamara <jpmtcc...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker at Carbon Canyon Reg. Park - 1-27-18
All, Was one of the eight birders observing this female for some time.

Photos on E-bird Checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S42277084

James McNamara
Stanton, CA

------------------------------------
Posted by: Jim McNamara <jpmtcc...>
------------------------------------

Date: 1/27/18 11:35 am
From: Liga Auzins <llauzins...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Carbon Cyn Reg Park 27 Jan 2018
Birders,

Eight or so birders enjoyed the continuing female Yellow-bellied Sapsucker starting after 8:30 Saturday morning. It was most cooperative in the liquidambar trees immediately east of the closed east entrance to the park.

I later found a Pink-sided Junco with the junco flock. The flock moved slowly west as they fed on the lawn on the north side of the main east-west road thru the park. I left it by picnic shelter 10.

Good birding,

Tom Wurster
Garden Grove

Sent from my iPhone

------------------------------------

Date: 1/27/18 10:57 am
From: <rogerschoedl...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Sage Thrasher
A SAGE THRASHER was at the south end of Harriet Wieder Park this morning.

Roger Schoedl
Huntington Beach

Back to top
Date: 1/26/18 9:44 pm
From: Keneth Howard Jr <kenethhowardjr...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Burrowing owl
I was surprised to come across a burrowing owl on my nightly beach walk. It was around Beach Blvd. And Pch. at 920

Sent from the Yahoo Mail app. Get yours!

Posted by: Keneth Howard Jr <kenethhowardjr...>

Date: 1/26/18 9:23 am
From: Don Hoechlin <quixdimnd...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Yellow-bellied sapsucker
The yellow-bellied Sapsucker is still at Carbon Canyon regional Park. It is between the tennis courts and the closed ranger station. https://www.flickr.com/photos/128470460@N05/shares/33QW9N. Don Hoechlin. RMV

Sent from my iPhone

Join us on Facebook!