OrangeCountyBirding
Received From Subject
5/19/18 7:12 pm Tom Benson via Groups.Io <thomasabenson=<aol.com...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Sea & Sage spring pelagic trip, May 19
5/19/18 7:45 am Liga Auzins via Groups.Io <llauzins=<yahoo.com...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Little Blue Heron continues
5/19/18 12:06 am Mark Girardeau via Groups.Io <markgphotos=<yahoo.com...> Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Brown booby off Newport Beach
5/19/18 12:05 am Mark Girardeau via Groups.Io <markgphotos=<yahoo.com...> Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Brown booby off Newport Beach
5/18/18 5:54 pm Mark Girardeau via Groups.Io <markgphotos=<yahoo.com...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Brown booby off Newport Beach
5/18/18 4:17 pm Catherine Pannell <cpannellwaters...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Dana Point
5/18/18 11:51 am Terry Hill <terrynjohn...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Highlights of May 18 Harriett Wieder Park Monthly Survey
5/18/18 8:51 am trailgirl888 via Groups.Io <trailgirl888=<yahoo.com...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Little Blue Heron still at Upper Newport Bay
5/17/18 7:16 am Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Orange County RBA: May 17, 2018
5/15/18 10:48 am Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Masked Booby - Dana Point (weekend report)
5/14/18 8:04 am Al Borodayko <adboro...> Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Huntington Central Park
5/14/18 7:44 am Al Borodayko <adboro...> Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Huntington Central Park
5/13/18 10:56 am Howard Freshman via Groups.Io <freshmani=<yahoo.com...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Indigo no; Lazuli yes.
5/13/18 10:41 am Jeff Bray <jbray4913...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Bank Swallows continuing at San Joaquin - 13 May
5/12/18 7:46 pm Pete Gordon <peterandmiko...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Looking for the Indigo Bunting at Mason Regional Park
5/12/18 6:38 pm Roger Schoedl via Groups.Io <rogerschoedl=<aol.com...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Common Tern
5/12/18 8:00 am Don Hoechlin via Groups.Io <Quixdimnd=<aol.com...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Bank Swallow
5/12/18 6:25 am Michael Zeigler <mdrzeigler...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Blue Grosbeak
5/11/18 4:27 pm Roger Schoedl via Groups.Io <rogerschoedl=<aol.com...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Bank Swallow
5/11/18 3:37 pm Doug Lithgow via Groups.Io <dmlithgow=<aol.com...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Yellow-headed Blackbird at Bolsa Chica
5/11/18 12:57 pm Terry Hill <terrynjohn...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Highlights of May 11 Bolsa Chica Monthly Survey
5/10/18 10:09 pm Don Hoechlin via Groups.Io <Quixdimnd=<aol.com...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Birds from Mason RP today
5/10/18 1:28 pm Jeff Bray <jbray4913...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Indigo Bunting at Mason Regional - 10 May
5/10/18 10:12 am Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Orange County RBA: May 10, 2018
5/9/18 6:27 pm <lthomas46...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Calliope Hummingbird
5/9/18 10:44 am Nancy Kenyon <NancyKenyon...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Spring Pelagic Trip still has room
5/6/18 10:05 pm Ryan Seppala <rjseppala...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Silverado Canyon - May 6
5/6/18 4:30 pm Donna Bray <donnabray...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Northern Waterthrush at Gilman Park
5/6/18 11:14 am Jeff Bray <jbray4913...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Wandering Tattler - Little Corona Beach - 6 MAY
5/5/18 11:40 pm condor262001 via Groups.Io <condor262001=<yahoo.com...> [OrangeCountyBirding] N. Waterthrush Continues at Gilman Park on Saturday
5/5/18 10:53 am Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman...> Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Possible Louisiana Waterthrush NOT video from Gilman Park - 3 MAY
5/5/18 9:52 am Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman...> Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Yard migrants
5/4/18 2:16 pm Liga Auzins via Groups.Io <llauzins=<yahoo.com...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Yard migrants
5/4/18 1:12 pm Terry Hill <terrynjohn...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Highlights of May 4, 2018 San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary Monthly Survey
5/3/18 8:31 pm Mark Girardeau via Groups.Io <markgphotos=<yahoo.com...> Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Interesting hawk (possible Broad-winged)
5/3/18 3:06 pm Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman...> Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Possible Louisiana Waterthrush video from Gilman Park - 3 MAY
5/3/18 1:18 pm Jeff Bray <jbray4913...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Possible Louisiana Waterthrush video from Gilman Park - 3 MAY
5/3/18 12:52 pm Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Possible Louisiana Waterthrush at Gilman Park
5/3/18 11:43 am Jeff Bray <jbray4913...> Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Loon
5/3/18 10:43 am Sachi Fukuman via Groups.Io <sachiko25=<yahoo.com...> Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Loon
5/3/18 10:32 am Sachi Fukuman via Groups.Io <sachiko25=<yahoo.com...> Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Loon
5/3/18 10:03 am Sachi Fukuman via Groups.Io <sachiko25=<yahoo.com...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Loon
5/3/18 7:45 am Jeff Bray <jbray4913...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Orange County RBA: May 3, 2018
5/2/18 7:46 pm Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Interesting hawk (possible Broad-winged)
5/2/18 12:07 pm trailgirl888 via Groups.Io <trailgirl888=<yahoo.com...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Yellow-headed Blackbirds at Laguna Niguel Regional Park
5/1/18 5:25 pm Doug Lithgow via Groups.Io <dmlithgow=<aol.com...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Purple Martin at SJWS
4/30/18 7:32 am Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman...> Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] eBird report of Northern Parula at Laguna Niguel Regional Park - 29 APR
4/30/18 7:14 am Jeff Bray <jbray4913...> [OrangeCountyBirding] eBird report of Northern Parula at Laguna Niguel Regional Park - 29 APR
4/28/18 8:52 pm Ryan Seppala <rjseppala...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Coal Canyon: Bell's Sparrows, Green-tailed Towhee, etc.
4/26/18 8:46 am Don Hoechlin via Groups.Io <Quixdimnd=<aol.com...> [OrangeCountyBirding] OC Birds
4/26/18 5:02 am Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Orange County RBA: April 26, 2018
4/24/18 5:52 am <etchisond...> <detchison22...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Caspers correction
4/23/18 11:23 pm <etchisond...> <detchison22...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Caspers Wilderness Park
4/23/18 10:14 pm Don Hoechlin via Groups.Io <Quixdimnd=<aol.com...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Maple Springs and beyond
4/23/18 5:43 pm James Pike <jimpike444...> Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Update on the **Possible** Cape May Warbler at San Joaquin Marsh - 23 APR
4/23/18 1:43 pm Jeff Bray <jbray4913...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Update on the **Possible** Cape May Warbler at San Joaquin Marsh - 23 APR
4/23/18 11:54 am Jeff Bray <jbray4913...> Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Male cape may warbler at San Joaquin marsh/tree hill.
4/23/18 11:35 am Jeff Bray <jbray4913...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Male cape may warbler at San Joaquin marsh/tree hill.
4/22/18 2:08 pm Jeff Bray <jbray4913...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Red-necked Phalarope continued at San Joaquin - 22 APR
4/22/18 1:42 pm Trish G <trishrg62...> Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Flycatcher? ID, please
4/22/18 1:37 pm Wm Voss <bellafortuni...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Flycatcher? ID, please
4/22/18 12:58 pm Roger Schoedl via Groups.Io <rogerschoedl=<aol.com...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Huntington Central Park 4/22/18
4/21/18 4:13 pm Jeff Bray <jbray4913...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Red-necked Phalarope also at San Joaquin Marsh 21 Apr
4/21/18 2:59 pm Jeff Bray <jbray4913...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Wilson’s Phalarope at San Joaquin Marsh 21 Apr
4/21/18 2:55 pm Roger Schoedl via Groups.Io <rogerschoedl=<aol.com...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Hammond's & Gray Flycatchers 4/21/18
4/21/18 9:01 am Roger Schoedl via Groups.Io <rogerschoedl=<aol.com...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Chestnut-sided Warbler continues - 4/21/18
4/20/18 12:49 pm Terry Hill <terrynjohn...> [OrangeCountyBirding] Highlights of April 20 Harriett Wieder Park Monthly Count

Back to top
Date: 5/19/18 7:12 pm
From: Tom Benson via Groups.Io <thomasabenson=<aol.com...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Sea & Sage spring pelagic trip, May 19
Today (May 19) Sea & Sage Audubon held its annual spring pelagic trip out of Dana Point aboard the Ocean Institute's R/V Sea Explorer. We enjoyed relatively calm seas all day, with a low marine layer and moderate fog during the morning that eventually started to clear around noon. We explored The areas from Dana Point out to Lausen Sea Mount, the offshore oil platforms, San Gabriel and Newport Canyons, and the 100-fathom curve back to Dana Point.
Because of the low marine layer, we encountered a number of passerine migrants on and around the boat. We had at least four Wilson's Warblers on the boat, as well as one Townsend's Warbler, with several more Wilson's and another Townsend's seen flying around the boat. We also had a Willow Flycatcher fly by the boat, and a Western Wood-Pewee on Platform Eureka. The highlight of the trip, however, was up to six Black Swifts that passed overhead near Lausen Sea Mount over about a 5-minute period.
Seabird diversity was relatively low, but we did see most of the expected species and good numbers of a few. Notable were a group of 65 Black Storm-Petrels foraging over our oil slick at Lausen Sea Mount, along with an Ashy Storm-Petrel. We had scattered Black Storm-Petrels and another Ashy Storm-Petrel elsewhere. Between the oil platforms and Dana Point we saw close to 2000 Sooty Shearwaters, with rafts of up to 500 birds near San Gabriel Canyon. Other expected pelagic species included a Pink-footed Shearwater, a few Black-vented Shearwaters, Scripps's Murrelets, Cassin's Auklets, and one or a few distant Sabine's Gulls seen by one or two people on board.
Tom Benson San Bernardino, CA

Back to top
Date: 5/19/18 7:45 am
From: Liga Auzins via Groups.Io <llauzins=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Little Blue Heron continues
Birders,

The Little Blue Heron continues 19 May 2018, in Upper Newport Bay. It is barely visible in the distance from the street parking on East Bluff Dr. opposite the Tern Island. It is foraging in the shallows on the north side of the main channel about a half mile west of our viewpoint.

Liga Auzins Wurster and Tom Wurster
Garden Grove

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#12567): https://groups.io/g/OrangeCountyBirding/message/12567
View All Messages In Topic (1): https://groups.io/g/OrangeCountyBirding/topic/19400051
New Topic: https://groups.io/g/OrangeCountyBirding/post

Group Home: https://groups.io/g/OrangeCountyBirding
Contact Group Owner: OrangeCountyBirding+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 5/19/18 12:06 am
From: Mark Girardeau via Groups.Io <markgphotos=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Brown booby off Newport Beach
My apologies again, here is my ebird checklist of the brown booby sighting.
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45815112

-Mark GirardeauMission Viejo, CA On Saturday, May 19, 2018, 12:05:26 AM PDT, Mark Girardeau via Groups.Io <markgphotos=<yahoo.com...> wrote:

My apologies for the private link, here is my ebird checklist I've just submitted

On Friday, May 18, 2018, 5:54:29 PM PDT, Mark Girardeau via Groups.Io <markgphotos=<yahoo.com...> wrote:

Today I spotted a brown booby a few miles off shore from Newport Beach circling/feeding alongside several terns following dolphin. I gotViewed while aboard Newport Coastal Adventure. Coordinates °33 34' 30.37" N, 117° 56' 54.63 W

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156960738377788&set=pcb.2065753020309500&type=3&theater&ifg=1

-Mark Girardeau
Mission Viejo, CA

Back to top

Date: 5/18/18 4:17 pm
From: Catherine Pannell <cpannellwaters...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Dana Point
Group, I normally lurk rather than participate because Dana Point is
normally not active for migratory birds once the State removed the old eucs
years ago at Doheny and residential development up on the St. Edward's hill
did in the rest. However today, reporting from Alicia Drive, we were here
on the right day at the right time to watch the amazing coastal northward
bound migration (from my stool in the kitchen) as bird after bird came
through the tiny backyard zeroing in on the running fountain. Nothing rare.
Of note were numbers of Yellow Warblers and Warbling Vireos falling out
from a consistent wave of wind between noon and 3 p.m. My estimate is
between 150 to 200 birds in a steady stream coming through a 50 x 12'
backyard. Never seen anything like it here before.

Catherine Waters
Dana Point, California
<cpannellwaters...>

Back to top
Date: 5/18/18 11:51 am
From: Terry Hill <terrynjohn...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Highlights of May 18 Harriett Wieder Park Monthly Survey
Our highlights of today’s (May 18) monthly survey at Harriett Wieder Park included the California Thrasher (at the edge of the playground), two Yellow-breasted Chats (one in the trees on the BC side at the end of Fisher’s Gulch and the other in the area below Seapoint & Garfield; both were  sounding off for most of the count period), 2 Bonaparte’s Gulls, 1 Pacific-Slope Flycatcher (Fisher’s Gulch), 1 Lark Sparrow that landed in a tall bare tree, then flew off, and 1 Bell’s Vireo.
--
Terry Hill
Huntington Beach

Back to top
Date: 5/18/18 8:51 am
From: trailgirl888 via Groups.Io <trailgirl888=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Little Blue Heron still at Upper Newport Bay
Little Blue Heron still at Upper Newport Bay. Can be seen with scope southwest of Tern Island (long skinny island) from Vista Point at intersection of Back Bay Drive and East Bluff Drive. First seen at 7:30 at low tide for at least 45 minutes. Photo to be added to eBird report.
Shirley Reynolds
Laguna Niguel

Back to top
Date: 5/17/18 7:16 am
From: Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Orange County RBA: May 17, 2018
*RBA*

* California
* Orange County
* May 17, 2018
* CAOC18.05.17

This is the Orange County, CA weekly Rare Bird Alert (RBA) and local events
summary. California Bird Records Committee (CBRC) review species are
capitalized and marked with asterisks below. All documentation of review
species should be forwarded to the CBRC secretary, Tom Benson, at
<secretary...>

*BIRDS MENTIONED*

*MASKED BOOBY*
Little Blue Heron
*TRICOLORED HERON*
Gray Flycatcher
Green-tailed Towhee
Indigo Bunting
Yellow-headed Blackbird

A MASKED BOOBY was photographed by a whale-watching group a few miles
offshore from Dana Point on May 13. Despite what Sea and Sage Audubon's
most esteemed resource person says, this would be at least the fifth Masked
Booby to occur in Orange County. It should be noted that three previous
accepted records of this species were all found in Dana Point Harbor, so it
would behoove listers to check the harbor and the jetties for this bird,
and for pelagic birders this weekend to keep a sharp eye out, especially
because Jeff is out of state and it will be awesome to text him and tell
him he missed the bird. Selfies with the bird are even better. ***Because
Masked Booby is a CBRC Review Species, if the bird is refound, please send
documentation to the CBRC Secretary Tom Benson at
<secretary...>

An apparent LITTLE BLUE HERON was photographed at Upper Newport Bay on May
16. There is some disagreement amongst us as to whether it is a Little Blue
Heron or a Reddish Egret, so if the bird is refound, additional supporting
photographs, especially those which show relative size and multiple angles,
would be appreciated so that I (and Sea and Sage Audubon's most esteemed
resource person) can be proven correct 😊🤗

A TRICOLORED HERON that reappeared at Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve in
Huntington Beach on March 18 was last seen on May 13. It has been seen well
all over the “pocket pond” and surrounding areas including the Wintersburg
Channel and muted tidal area, but can be very hit-or-miss. ***Because
Tricolored Heron is a CBRC Review Species, please send documentation to the
CBRC Secretary Tom Benson at <secretary...>

A GRAY FLYCATCHER was reported from Huntington Central Park in Huntington
Beach on May 15. The bird was described as being "in willows facing the big
open grass area around the corner from the concrete culvert."

A GREEN-TAILED TOWHEE was reported from Harriett Wieder Regional Park in
Huntington Beach on May 11. The bird was photographed at the top of
Fisher's Gulch.

An INDIGO BUNTING was photographed at the watering hole in the butterfly
garden at Mason Regional Park in Irvine on May 10. The bird was a very
infrequent visitor and was only observed twice the whole day, and hours
apart in between.

YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRDS were reported from three locations this week. One
was reported from San Clemente on May 10, one was reported from Bolsa Chica
Ecological Reserve in Huntington Beach on May 11, and 17 were reported from
Naval Weapons Station Seal Beach on May 16.

*LOCAL EVENTS *

*ORANGE COUNTY SPRING COUNT*

*What is the OCSC?*
The OCSC (Orange County Spring Count) is part of a nationwide migration
count, similar to a Christmas Bird Count, but timed to the opposite half of
the migration cycle. This year the OCSC is being expanded to try to capture
more of the birds that migrate through the county. Sea and Sage is
encouraging birders to participate anytime during the months of April and
May. This will allow us to see and count more of the species that migrate
through the county. Again, this year we will try to focus on the best areas
for birds since comprehensive coverage of the entire county is not a
realistic goal.

*How you can participate:*
One of the objectives of Environment for the Americas (the sponsor of the
hemisphere wide count) is to enter all of the data into eBird. This means
that it is very simple to participate. All of the regularly scheduled bird
counts in April and May will be included in the OCSC. The dates do not need
to change. Darrell Wilson will also include the checklists from all of the
Sea and Sage field trips in Orange County held during April and May.

Many of you already use eBird. You can enter your Spring Count data
directly into eBird for any birding that you do during April and May. You
don’t have to send tally sheets to anyone. All that is needed is to share
the eBird check list with the Sea and Sage Audubon eBird account. (The
eBird user name is sea_sage_aud). If you don’t currently use eBird, you can
sign up. It’s free!
www.ebird.org

If you don’t enter the data directly into eBird then you must send each
checklist to Darrell Wilson at <darrellwilson...> in Excel format.

A goal for the OCSC is to count all the “Top 100 Hot Spots” shown in eBird.
It does not matter how many times a particular spot is covered. Users of
the eBird data can sort that out. A list of the top 100 hotspots is located
in the Orange County Birding files section.

*UPCOMING EVENTS THAT DO NOT REQUIRE ADVANCE RESERVATIONS*

The next Bolsa Chica Bird Walk will take place on May 17 from 8:00am to
12:00pm. Meet in the parking lot at Harriett Wieder Regional Park.

The next Upper Newport Bay Bird Walk will take place on May 27 from 8:00am
to 11:00am. Meet in the Big Canyon parking lot.

*UPCOMING EVENTS THAT REQUIRE ADVANCE RESERVATIONS *

The Spring Pelagic Trip will take place on May 19. Reservations are
required and there are still spaces available. Please email Nancy Kenyon
immediately if you’re interested in attending at <nancykenyon...> There
is more information about the trip here: http://seaandsageaudubon.org/
FieldTrips/Trips/Pelagic/PelagicTrips.html. Keep an eye out for the Masked
Booby! Make Jeff cry for missing it!

The next trip to sail up Upper Newport Bay on the pontoon boat will be June
20 from 8:15am to 11:00am. Please email Nancy Kenyon if you’re interested
at <nancykenyon...>

The Mammoth Lakes Weekend Trip will take place on June 23 and 24. There is
more information available about the trip here: http://www.
seaandsageaudubon.org/FieldTrips/Trips/MammothLakesTrip.html.

*WORKSHOPS AND CLASSES*

None starting anytime soon.

The Orange County RBA and events summary is produced weekly by Ryan
Winkleman and Jeff Bray in collaboration with Doug Willick. Sightings of
rare birds can be posted to the OrangeCountyBirding listserv, emailed
directly to Jeff Bray (<jbray4913...>) and/or Ryan Winkleman (
<rswinkleman...>), and/or submitted to eBird (http://ebird.org/content/
ebird). Any supporting details (descriptions, photos, audio recordings,
etc.) of rare sightings that are not already disclosed on the listserv or
on eBird should also be emailed to Doug Willick at <doug.willick...>

Those sightings that are included in this summary generally include those
that are considered rare (regionally or seasonally) for Orange County based
on "The Birds of Orange County: Status and Distribution" (Hamilton and
Willick), "Birds of Southern California" (Garrett and Dunn), and/or more
contemporary changes in local or regional status and distribution. Rarities
that regularly or seasonally occur at a particular location, such as
annually wintering rarities on Seal Beach National Wildlife Refuge, are not
included in this digest, but reports of these same species occurring at
other, atypical locations throughout the county may be included. All bird
reports are vetted to the extent possible prior to each publication, but in
the interest of sharing information, the accuracy of any given report
cannot always be guaranteed, nor can the presence of any given bird for
those who choose to chase after them.

Information on upcoming local events is taken largely from the Sea and Sage
Audubon website (http://www.seaandsageaudubon.org/). Sea and Sage Audubon
is based out of the Audubon House at the San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary in
Irvine. They sponsor a number of public field trips, special birding
events, conservation lectures, and social gatherings throughout the year.
Information regarding upcoming local events should be considered accurate
at the time of this posting. However, for the most current information
please refer to the field trip list on the Sea and Sage Audubon website at
http://www.seaandsageaudubon.org/FieldTrips/FieldTripSchedule.html. It is
also recommended that you refer to that website immediately prior to
engaging in any field trip to confirm that trips are still occurring. If
you know of additional upcoming events that are not sponsored directly by
Sea and Sage Audubon, please email Ryan Winkleman and/or Jeff Bray for
inclusion. #RBA

Back to top
Date: 5/15/18 10:48 am
From: Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Masked Booby - Dana Point (weekend report)
Tom Van Huss just forwarded me a copy of an article that just ran in the OC
Register showing a photograph of a Masked Booby seen off of Strand Beach in
Dana Point over the weekend. No idea if it's been seen since, but
year-listers may want to go take a look at the breakwaters and see if
anything is hanging out down there...plus there is also a pelagic trip out
of Dana Point this weekend...

Thanks to Jeff for finding the online link to the article:
https://www.ocregister.com/2018/05/14/rare-masked-booby-sighted-off-dana-point-far-from-its-tropical-home/

Back to top
Date: 5/14/18 8:04 am
From: Al Borodayko <adboro...>
Subject: Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Huntington Central Park
Sorry forgot complete salutation on previous post,

Al Borodayko
Cypress, CA

Back to top
Date: 5/14/18 7:44 am
From: Al Borodayko <adboro...>
I finally got my digitized images of slides of the Clay-colored Sparrow that I photographed in April at Huntington Central Park. They are in the Emberizines (Sparrows) Album.

Enjoy, Al

Back to top
Date: 5/13/18 10:56 am
From: Howard Freshman via Groups.Io <freshmani=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Indigo no; Lazuli yes.
Spent two hours on May 11 and two more on May 12 waiting for the not-to-be-seen Indigo Bunting in the butterfly garden at Mason Regional Park.  However, a Lazuli Bunting made a fleeting appearance on the wood fence before flying away. I was looking in the right direction and caught a soft picture of it, posted on bird: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45629823

Howard Freshman
Long Beach, CA

(This was my first message so apologies if it appeared twice.)

Back to top
Date: 5/13/18 10:41 am
From: Jeff Bray <jbray4913...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Bank Swallows continuing at San Joaquin - 13 May

I’ve seen at least 4 Bank Swallows together on Pond 1 this morning and a possible 5th flying around on Pond 2. Great looks at the group of 4 from the large observation point with the 3 benches looking to the west.

Back to top
Date: 5/12/18 7:46 pm
From: Pete Gordon <peterandmiko...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Looking for the Indigo Bunting at Mason Regional Park
I visited William R. Mason Regional Park on Friday afternoon from 3:30 to 4:30 looking for the Indigo Bunting reported on Thursday. No luck, but the park was pretty birdy. 19 species including a Wilson's Warbler.

Pete Gordon
Foothill Ranch, CA

Canada Goose 8
Egyptian Goose 6
Mallard 8
Ruddy Duck 1
Turkey Vulture 3
Cooper's Hawk 1
American Coot 4
Mourning Dove 2
Black Phoebe 1
Common Raven 1
Tree Swallow 26
Western Bluebird 4
Orange-crowned Warbler 3
Common Yellowthroat 1
Wilson's Warbler 1
Song Sparrow 1
Western Tanager 1
House Finch 2
Lesser Goldfinch 2

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45611552

Back to top
Date: 5/12/18 6:38 pm
From: Roger Schoedl via Groups.Io <rogerschoedl=<aol.com...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Common Tern
One COMMON TERN was at Bolsa Chica this afternoon. It was sitting on the pipeline that runs over the pond next to the Wintersburg Channel.

Roger Schoedl
Huntington Beach

Back to top
Date: 5/12/18 8:00 am
From: Don Hoechlin via Groups.Io <Quixdimnd=<aol.com...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Bank Swallow
Bank swallow is still present at pond one at San Joaquin wildlife sanctuary. Will post photos later. Don Hoechlin. RMV

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#12552): https://groups.io/g/OrangeCountyBirding/message/12552
View All Messages In Topic (2): https://groups.io/g/OrangeCountyBirding/topic/19181499

Date: 5/12/18 6:25 am
From: Michael Zeigler <mdrzeigler...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Blue Grosbeak
A male blue grosbeak was seen on Thursday, 5/10,  getting a drink of water from the most south eastern pond of Fairview Park in Costa Mesa at 0953. Image included on eBird checklist.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45546203

Location: 33.666200, -117.939423--

Michael Zeigler
Huntington Beach
www.seainfocus.com

( http://www.seainfocus.com )

Back to top
Date: 5/11/18 4:27 pm
From: Roger Schoedl via Groups.Io <rogerschoedl=<aol.com...>
A BANK SWALLOW was flying around pond 1 at San Joaquin Marsh this afternoon.

It was flying back and forth low over the water between the island and the lookout area along the northeast shore. It is relatively easy to spot - it was the only brown swallow - most all the other swallows were Cliff Swallows with a few Tree Swallows mixed in.

Roger Schoedl
Huntington Beach

Back to top
Date: 5/11/18 3:37 pm
From: Doug Lithgow via Groups.Io <dmlithgow=<aol.com...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Yellow-headed Blackbird at Bolsa Chica
I had a female Yellow-headed Blackbird on the railing of the boardwalk at Bolsa Chica on Friday, 5/11, at around 7 AM.  It hung around for about 10 minutes before being disturbed by a jogger.
Doug Lithgow
Huntington Beach

Back to top
Date: 5/11/18 12:57 pm
From: Terry Hill <terrynjohn...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Highlights of May 11 Bolsa Chica Monthly Survey
With a high tide and strong winds affecting our Bolsa Chica monthly survey today, May 11, we had very low numbers of birds.  The migratory ducks are gone, as are most of the shorebirds.  We did have the continuing Tricolored Heron and two Reddish Egrets in the muted tidal ponds on the southeast side of the Wintersburg Channel (between the bridge and Graham Street), in addition to 2 Ridgway’s Rails near the walkbridge, 27 Least Terns, 114 Forster’s Terns, 361 Elegant Terns, and 2 Black Skimmers.  Also seen were 3 Peregrine Falcons (2 adults and 1 juvenile).  There were literally no birds in the Wintersburg Channel, except for 1 Killdeer; and the other water areas also had very few birds.
--
Terry Hill
Huntington Beach

Back to top
Date: 5/10/18 10:09 pm
From: Don Hoechlin via Groups.Io <Quixdimnd=<aol.com...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Birds from Mason RP today
Here are some shots of the Indigo Bunting and others we had today at Mason RP. Seen on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/128470460@N05/shares/4i5g19. Don Hoechlin RMV

Back to top
Date: 5/10/18 1:28 pm
From: Jeff Bray <jbray4913...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Indigo Bunting at Mason Regional - 10 May

Just received photos of an adult male INDIGO BUNTING at Mason Regional Park. Seen on the west side of the park in the butterfly garden near the water feature.

Back to top
Date: 5/10/18 10:12 am
From: Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Orange County RBA: May 10, 2018
*RBA*

* California
* Orange County
* May 10, 2018
* CAOC18.05.10

This is the Orange County, CA weekly Rare Bird Alert (RBA) and local events
summary. California Bird Records Committee (CBRC) review species are
capitalized and marked with asterisks below. All documentation of review
species should be forwarded to the CBRC secretary, Tom Benson, at
<secretary...>

*BIRDS MENTIONED*

*TRICOLORED HERON*
Common Ground-Dove
Calliope Hummingbird
Franklin's Gull
Dusky Flycatcher
Vermilion Flycatcher
Plumbeous Vireo
Horned Lark
Purple Martin
Green-tailed Towhee
Bell's Sparrow
Yellow-headed Blackbird
Baltimore Oriole
Northern Waterthrush

A TRICOLORED HERON that reappeared at Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve in
Huntington Beach on March 18 was last seen on May 5. It has been seen well
all over the “pocket pond” and surrounding areas including the Wintersburg
Channel and muted tidal area, but can be very hit-or-miss. ***Because
Tricolored Heron is a CBRC Review Species, please send documentation to the
CBRC Secretary Tom Benson at <secretary...>

Two COMMON GROUND-DOVES were reported from the northern half of Talbert
Regional Park in Costa Mesa on May 6. They were heard in the area below the
bluffs.

An apparent CALLIOPE HUMMINGBIRD was found at Mason Regional Park in Irvine
on May 9 at the fountain in the butterfly garden. More photos of this bird,
if still present, would be appreciated, as it's kind of weird-looking
(gorget looks funny).

A FRANKLIN'S GULL was reported from the mouth of San Juan Creek at Doheny
State Beach in Dana Point on May 6.

A DUSKY FLYCATCHER was photographed somewhere along the Coal Canyon Trail
on the north end of the county in the Chino Hill State Park on May 5.

A VERMILION FLYCATCHER was reported from Huntington Central Park on May 9.
Based on the location of the bird (east of the garden) and a photo that was
provided, it looks like this is probably the same bird that was present
earlier in the spring.

A PLUMBEOUS VIREO was reported from Mile Square Regional Park in Fountain
Valley on May 5. Note that the expected species right now is Cassin's
Vireo, so if you go looking for this bird, be very careful in your
identification! Photos are highly recommended.

A HORNED LARK was reported from somewhere else along the Coal Canyon Trail
in Chino Hills State Park on May 5. The bird was heard from some of the
areas that burned last year and are still relatively bare.

A PURPLE MARTIN was reported from the wetlands at Fairview Park in Costa
Mesa on May 5.

In what is ending up being a remarkable season for GREEN-TAILED TOWHEES, 8
were reported in the county in the last week. The first was the continuing,
wintering bird at the private FDA building in Irvine on May 9, where it has
been since December 27. All other birds are considered to be spring
migrants and include one at San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary in Irvine on May
4, one at Canyon Park in Costa Mesa on May 5 just west of the silk floss
trees in the northeast corner of the park, one west of the playground at
Harriett Wieder Regional Park in Huntington Beach on May 5, one in a
private backyard in Orange on May 5, and three in the Cleveland National
Forest in the "Four Corners" area (at approximately 33.731643,
-117.552023).

A BELL'S SPARROW was reported again from the Coal Canyon Trail in Chino
Hills State Park on May 5. Two more Bell's Sparrows were reported from
upper Silverado Canyon, although whether these were actually breeding birds
near territories or chance encounters is up in the air given the lack of
previous reports in this area. Just a reminder that this species is of
limited distribution in Orange County, so if you do look for these birds,
please do not harass them if they are already singing or otherwise acting
in a territorial manner.

YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRDS were reported from three locations this week.
Three were reported from the wetlands in Fairview Park in Costa Mesa on May
3, one was reported from the island on Pond 1 at San Joaquin Wildlife
Sanctuary in Irvine on May 4, and eight were reported from agricultural
fields on Naval Weapons Station Seal Beach.

A BALTIMORE ORIOLE was photographed at Harriett Wieder Regional Park in
Huntington Beach on May 5. The adult male bird was found singing in the
eucalyptus trees at the south end of the playground parking lot.

A NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH was found at Gilman Park in Fullerton on May 3 and
continued through May 6. It was consistently seen in the same spot as the
Louisiana Waterthrush from last fall, in the upper northeastern side of the
creek, where it consistently blew Jeff's mind by engaging in the exact same
behavior of entering and exiting the culvert as the Louisiana. He still
cannot freaking believe it.

[...]

The next monthly Bird Walk at San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary in Irvine will
take place on May 13 from 8:00am to 12:00pm. Meet at the Audubon House.

The next Bolsa Chica Bird Walk will take place on May 17 from 8:00am to
12:00pm. Meet in the parking lot at Harriett Wieder Regional Park.

*UPCOMING EVENTS THAT REQUIRE ADVANCE RESERVATIONS *

The next trip to sail up Upper Newport Bay on the pontoon boat will be May
16 from 8:15am to 11:00am. Please email Nancy Kenyon if you’re interested at
<nancykenyon...>

The Spring Pelagic Trip has been rescheduled once again and will take place
on May 19 (or will it?). Reservations are required. Please email Nancy
Kenyon if you’re interested at <nancykenyon...> There is more
information about the trip here: http://seaandsageaudubon.org/FieldTri
ps/Trips/Pelagic/PelagicTrips.html. Since Jeff won’t be on this trip, every
rare bird that could ever occur is probable.

Date: 5/9/18 6:27 pm
From: <lthomas46...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Calliope Hummingbird
Hello. I identified a Calliope Hummingbird this afternoon around 4 p.m. in Mason Park, at the fountain in the butterfly garden. Shortly, I will post photos in my checklist in eBird.

Linda Thomas
Irvine

Back to top
Date: 5/9/18 10:44 am
From: Nancy Kenyon <NancyKenyon...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Spring Pelagic Trip still has room
There is still room on the May 19th Spring Pelagic Trip out
of Dana Point, sponsored by Sea & Sage Audubon. This is an
8-hour trip leaving from the Ocean Institute in Dana Point
and going out to the 14 mile bank. The trip will be led by
Jon Feenstra  with 4-5 co-leaders; trip fee is $60. Meeting
time is 6:30 AM. Advance reservations are necessary.
Information on the trip and how to sign up can be found on
our Sea & Sage webpage at: https://tinyurl.com/cv7vrsf

Nancy Kenyon
Field Trip Chair for Sea & Sage Audubon
Irvine

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#12543): https://groups.io/g/OrangeCountyBirding/message/12543
View All Messages In Topic (1): https://groups.io/g/OrangeCountyBirding/topic/18971695

Date: 5/6/18 10:05 pm
From: Ryan Seppala <rjseppala...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Silverado Canyon - May 6
This morning (5/6), I took a lengthy hike up Silverado Canyon, starting at the end of the paved part of the Maple Springs Truck Trail and working my way up to four corners beyond Maple Spring. The best birds were two surprise BELL'S SPARROWS, at least three(!) GREEN-TAILED TOWHEES, multiple CASSIN'S VIREOS, MACGILLIVRAY'S WARBLERS, OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHERS, BLACK-CHINNED SPARROWS, the continuing horde of HERMIT WARBLERS, and almost every other typical spring migrant.

The Bell's Sparrows were encountered on different parts of the hike. The first was seen a little more than 1/2 mile past the pavement/dirt transition, shortly after the first hairpin turn with the guardrail. This bird was out of its proper habitat, and I'm assuming it was just passing through. The second Bell's Sparrow (and possibly more) was way up near four corners, where the Maple Springs Truck Trail meets up with Harding and the Main Divide. This bird was found in seemingly good sagebrush habitat on the side of the hill/peak that rises west of the intersection. You'll need to take a rough path off of the main road in order to reach this spot. Once you reach the top of the small, exposed peak, drop down the other side and you're in the right place. I might have had a second Bell's at this location, but I never saw more than one bird at once. There's a chance that they breed in this spot but I'm not at all certain. Photos were taken.

The 3+ Green-tailed Towhees were all located in the same general area as the second Bell's Sparrow: on the hill just west of four corners. At least one was singing, and they all were spread out and foraging deep in the brush, usually offering quick but identifiable views. Photos were taken.

Also what might be of interest was a potential heard-only Pygmy Nuthatch on the east side of Maple Spring. I heard a 'pip-pip-pip' call overhead but never got onto the source. This I.D. is far from certain, but it might be worth checking out the area in the coming days and weeks.

Coordinates and more info on the checklist: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45390992

Good birding

--
Ryan Seppala
Orange

Back to top
Date: 5/6/18 4:30 pm
From: Donna Bray <donnabray...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Northern Waterthrush at Gilman Park
O.C. Birders:  The Northern Waterthrush was observed several times in the early afternoon today, Sunday.  The location is as previously described:   it favors the area around the large covered culvert pipe on the north side of the park, and around the edges of the water.  The bird also goes into a small pepper tree (on the right as you face the pipe) and sits very still.  The first time I observed it, it was sitting on the cover grate chipping loudly then quickly few into the pipe.
Donna Bray
Norwalk

Back to top
Date: 5/6/18 11:14 am
From: Jeff Bray <jbray4913...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Wandering Tattler - Little Corona Beach - 6 MAY
Not that big of a deal, as these birds are often there if you spend the
time to find them, but I was beginning to think this bird was selectively
avoiding me this year. I finally caught up with one today at Little Corona
City Beach in Newport Beach. Seen at low tide around 9:30am at
GPS: 33.590174, -117.869968. Oddly, it was the ONLY shorebird I saw all
morning from Little Corona Beach all the way down to the jetty at Newport
Harbor. Other things of note were Pacific Loons heading north, most in full
alternate plumage. There was a lot of feeding activity just to the north of
the jetty. I had at least one Parasitic Jaeger that was harassing terns and
gulls just off shore.

Pic of the Wandering Tattler:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/crispystatic/41933422511

eBird Checklist:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45365980

Back to top
Date: 5/5/18 11:40 pm
From: condor262001 via Groups.Io <condor262001=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] N. Waterthrush Continues at Gilman Park on Saturday
After watching the wet derby I dropped by Gilman Park in Fullerton between 4 and 5 PM to look for the waterthrush.
It was by the large drainage pipe at the beginning of the stream to the left of the first footbridge.
Easy to spot as it bobbed its tail as expected.
It was either in the pool just outside of the pipe, inside the pipe, or up in the nearby trees.
Here is a link to a few document photos on Flickr. These pictures are constant with the current ID.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/25876581@N00/

Jim Hecht
Hermosa Beach CA

Back to top
Date: 5/5/18 10:53 am
From: Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman...>
Subject: Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Possible Louisiana Waterthrush NOT video from Gilman Park - 3 MAY
I'm hearing from Jim McNamara that the Northern Waterthrush at Gilman Park
in Fullerton continues this morning.

On May 3, 2018 3:06 PM, "Ryan Winkleman" <rswinkleman...> wrote:

Based on a photo that Jeff took of the bird, this appears to be a Northern
Waterthrush, NOT a Louisiana Waterthrush. The throat is fairly streaky, the
underparts are heavily streaked and offwhite, the supercilium is offwhite
and tapers off in the back, and the legs are dull.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/crispystatic/40974775695/

If anybody wants to provide any additional documentation here or in eBird
reports that shows something different, please do, but based on this photo
it appears to be a Northern Waterthrush.
--
Ryan Winkleman
Rancho Santa Margarita

Back to top
Date: 5/5/18 9:52 am
From: Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman...>
Subject: Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Yard migrants
I had a similarly great time at my house early this morning with migrants
and fun residents, where I had up to 4 Wilson's Warblers, up to 3 Yellow
Warblers, a Black-throated Gray Warbler, six separate flyovers of Lazuli
Bunting, up to 3 Warbling Vireos (new yard bird, #112), at least 3 if not
substantially more Western Tanagers, an Ash-throated Flycatcher, a
Phainopepla, a Pacific-slope Flycatcher, and a random quail running along
my fence line...and those were only the birds that I could identify. I had
numerous fly-bys of northbound birds that I just couldn't tell what they
were (my backyard faces east into the sun).

But no MacGillivray's or chat, both of which I'm super jealous of...

On Fri, May 4, 2018, 2:16 PM Liga Auzins via Groups.Io <llauzins=
<yahoo.com...> wrote:

> Birders,
>
> Several fun migrants are spending the day in our yard in Garden Grove -
> PAC-slope Flycatchers, Swainson's Thrushes, Orange-crown (including one
> gray-headed) and Wilson's warblers, one female MacGillivray's
> Warbler, and most exciting of all, one Yellow-breasted Chat! I have yard
> lists going back to the late 1950's for this property and this is the first
> Chat sighting ever recorded here.
>
> Tom Wurster and Liga Auzins
> Garden Grove, CA

Back to top
Date: 5/4/18 2:16 pm
From: Liga Auzins via Groups.Io <llauzins=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Yard migrants

View/Reply Online (#12536): https://groups.io/g/OrangeCountyBirding/message/12536
View All Messages In Topic (1): https://groups.io/g/OrangeCountyBirding/topic/18264453

Date: 5/4/18 1:12 pm
From: Terry Hill <terrynjohn...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Highlights of May 4, 2018 San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary Monthly Survey
It was a beautiful sunny morning today (May 4) at San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary for the monthly survey.  Migrant land birds were abundant, particularly Warbling Vireos (43), Yellow Warblers (66), and Wilson’s Warblers  (68).  Also present were 76 Black Skimmers, all on Pond 1, 2 Vaux’s Swifts, 3 Nashville Warblers, 18 Yellow-breasted Chats, 1 Lazuling Bunting (in the creek), 2 Chipping Sparrows, and 3 Phainopeplas (two in the riparian area, and one on Tree Hill), plus 26 Bell’s Vireos.
--
Terry Hill
Huntington Beach

Back to top
Date: 5/3/18 8:31 pm
From: Mark Girardeau via Groups.Io <markgphotos=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Interesting hawk (possible Broad-winged)
I saw the same thing, I watched the hawk be pestered by a couple crows as it soared and thought it looked a bit different than the usual red-tails in the area but by the time I went to grab my camera I never saw it again. I also noticed it appeared to be lighter in color with the tail not glowing red like a red tail
On Wednesday, May 2, 2018, 7:46:23 PM PDT, Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman...> wrote:

Earlier this afternoon I had an interesting hawk out over the Arroyo Trabuco in Rancho Santa Margarita. The bird was being harassed by crows just immediately upstream of the Santa Margarita Parkway bridge. I had brought binos out back but left my camera inside, and unfortunately never got a photo of the bird, which had been chased out of sight when I came back out with camera in hand. I included a description of the bird in the eBird checklist here, for those interested in reading or possibly trying to find the bird tomorrow morning. I cannot guarantee that it was not a Red-shouldered Hawk, but I can say that I see them all the time here and this bird immediately piqued my interest. I am aware of how rare the alternative would be.
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45192255

On a sidenote, since my yard seems to be a hotspot for oddities and rarities this spring, shortly after I brought my camera out two Brown Pelicans flew over, which of course would be completely unexpected in this part of the county.
--
Ryan Winkleman
Rancho Santa Margarita

Back to top

Date: 5/3/18 1:18 pm
From: Jeff Bray <jbray4913...>
Sandy sent me the video she took and I posted it on the youtube link below.
It looks pretty good for Louisiana Waterthrush behavior. Open to opinions...

This is the exact spot where the one was seen 16 SEP 2017.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPLWmf8NqyE

Jeff Bray
Irvine, CA

Back to top
Date: 5/3/18 12:52 pm
From: Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Possible Louisiana Waterthrush at Gilman Park
I'm hearing word that there is a possible Louisiana Waterthrush at Gilman
Park in Fullerton, apparently in generally the same location that there was
one last fall, in the north end of the park. I have not seen any photos so
can neither confirm nor deny the accuracy of the report, but if I do see
any I will circulate them around and follow-up here. And you know what?
Because it's not Yahoo! Groups anymore it won't take 6 hours for my posts
to appear like last time! Anyway, if anybody is nearby and/or likes playing
hooky from work and/or has permission to go birding whenever they feel like
it (*cough* Jeff), please go check it out and see if you can find and get
photos of the bird...

Thanks.

Back to top
Date: 5/3/18 11:43 am
From: Jeff Bray <jbray4913...>
Subject: Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Loon
Photo of her Pacific Loon in full alternate can be found here: https://groups.io/g/OrangeCountyBirding/photo/38281/20?p=Name,,,20,1,20,0
--
Jeff Bray
Irvine, CA

Back to top
Date: 5/3/18 10:43 am
From: Sachi Fukuman via Groups.Io <sachiko25=<yahoo.com...>
I posted a picture of the loon.San Clemente Sachi Fukuman

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Back to top
Date: 5/3/18 10:32 am
From: Sachi Fukuman via Groups.Io <sachiko25=<yahoo.com...>
I forgot to mention that we are at Dana Point Harbor.San ClementeSachi Fukuman

Date: 5/3/18 10:03 am
From: Sachi Fukuman via Groups.Io <sachiko25=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Loon
There was a loon in breeding plumage today in the harbor where the boats launch
--
Sachi Fukuman
San Clemente

Back to top
Date: 5/3/18 7:45 am
From: Jeff Bray <jbray4913...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Orange County RBA: May 3, 2018
*RBA*

* California
* Orange County
* May 3, 2018
* CAOC18.05.03

This is the Orange County, CA weekly Rare Bird Alert (RBA) and local events
summary. California Bird Records Committee (CBRC) review species are
capitalized and marked with asterisks below. All documentation of review
species should be forwarded to the CBRC secretary, Tom Benson, at
<secretary...>

*BIRDS MENTIONED*

White-winged Scoter
Common Poorwill
Calliope Hummingbird
*TRICOLORED HERON*
Purple Martin
Green-tailed Towhee
Clay-colored Sparrow
Bell's Sparrow
Yellow-headed Blackbird
Northern Parula

A WHITE-WINGED SCOTER was seen off the end of Newport Pier in Newport Beach
on May 1. It was flying north with a small flock of Surf Scoter.

A COMMON POORWILL was reported at Huntington Central Park in Huntington
Beach on April 26. This is an unusual location for this species, most often
seen in the foothills of OC.

A CALLIOPE HUMMINGBIRD was reported from Maple Springs Truck Trail near Big
Cone Springs on April 28.

A TRICOLORED HERON that reappeared at Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve in
Huntington Beach on March 18 was last seen on May 2. It has been seen well
all over the “pocket pond” and surrounding areas including the Wintersburg
Channel and muted tidal area, but can be very hit-or-miss. ***Because
Tricolored Heron is a CBRC Review Species, please send documentation to the
CBRC Secretary Tom Benson at <secretary...>

A PURPLE MARTIN was photographed at San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary in
Irvine on May 1. It was seen flying over Pond 1.

Two GREEN-TAILED TOWHEES were reported in the county in the last week. The
first was found in the Chino Hills / Coal Canyon State Park near GPS:
33.854678, -117.687391. The second one continued at the private FDA
building in Irvine on May 2, where it has been since December 27.

A CLAY-COLORED SPARROW first found on December 29 continued at Huntington
Central Park in Huntington Beach through April 28, where it continued to
associate with a flock of Chipping Sparrows in the grassy area north of
"the island."

Five BELL'S SPARROWS were reported from the Chino Hills / Coal Canyon area
(Starting roughly 3 miles from the parking lot) up in the Santa Ana
Mountains. This species is a year-round resident in Orange County and
breeds in this area where there is extensive chamise chaparral.

YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRDS were reported from two locations this week. The
first at a private residence in Buena Park on April 30. The second report
of two birds comes from Laguna Niguel Regional Park in Laguna Niguel on May
2. These two birds were seen first on the hillside covered in wild mustard
and they later flew to one of the islands on the lake.

A NORTHERN PARULA was found at Laguna Niguel Regional Park in Laguna Niguel
on April 29. It was seen in a bottlebrush tree just to the south of the
footbridge that crosses the creek at the extreme south end of the park.
South, south. Got it? It was looked for extensively on Monday but was
never refound.

[...]

The next monthly Wildlife Walk at San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary in Irvine
will take place on May 5 from 9:00am to 10:30am. Meet at the Audubon House.

The next monthly Bird Walk at San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary in Irvine will
take place on May 13 from 8:00am to 12:00pm. Meet at the Audubon House.

*UPCOMING EVENTS THAT REQUIRE ADVANCE RESERVATIONS *

The next trip to sail up Upper Newport Bay on the pontoon boat will be May
16 from 8:15am to 11:00am. Please email Nancy Kenyon if you’re interested
at <nancykenyon...>

The Spring Pelagic Trip has been rescheduled once again and will take place
on May 19 (or will it?). Reservations are required. Please email Nancy
Kenyon if you’re interested at <nancykenyon...> There is more
information about the trip here:
http://seaandsageaudubon.org/FieldTrips/Trips/Pelagic/PelagicTrips.html.
Since I won’t be on this trip, the chance for megararities is extremely
high.

Date: 5/2/18 12:07 pm
From: trailgirl888 via Groups.Io <trailgirl888=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Yellow-headed Blackbirds at Laguna Niguel Regional Park
At least 2, one male and one female type Yellow-headed Blackbirds were seen at Laguna Niguel Regional Park
at about 11:30 am. First seen on western hillsides of lake in mustard. Male-type flew towards middle lake. I am trying to relocate.
Shirley Reynolds
Laguna Niguel

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#12524): https://groups.io/g/OrangeCountyBirding/message/12524
View All Messages In Topic (1): https://groups.io/g/OrangeCountyBirding/topic/18141043

Date: 5/1/18 5:25 pm
From: Doug Lithgow via Groups.Io <dmlithgow=<aol.com...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Purple Martin at SJWS
I had a Purple Martin over Pond 1 at SJWS around 1:30 PM.  It was flying with numerous Cliff and Tree Swallows so it stood out pretty well. Photo on Flicker at
https://www.flickr.com/photos/107246855@N07/41120222534/in/dateposted-public/

Doug Lithgow
Huntington Beach

Date: 4/30/18 7:32 am
From: Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman...>
Subject: Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] eBird report of Northern Parula at Laguna Niguel Regional Park - 29 APR
So, Jeff, what you're saying is that in the geographical context of the
park it would actually be a southern parula?

On Mon, Apr 30, 2018, 7:14 AM Jeff Bray <jbray4913...> wrote:

> Passing along this info from eBird:
>
> There was a NORTHERN PARULA reported at the south end of the park, along
> the creek, just south of the footbridge. Observer reports to have photos,
> but none have been added yet.
>
> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45090891
>

> --
> Jeff Bray
> Irvine, CA

Back to top

Date: 4/28/18 8:52 pm
From: Ryan Seppala <rjseppala...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Coal Canyon: Bell's Sparrows, Green-tailed Towhee, etc.
Today (4/28), I took a hike up Coal Canyon on the north side of the Santa Ana Mountains with the intent of finding BELL'S SPARROWS. This turned out to be a great success, and I found a total of at least five birds. The first pair was about 2 miles beyond the Coal Canyon trailhead, and roughly .1 to .2 miles past where a pair of Bell's was seen in 2013. The best landmark for the new spot is a post on the left side of the trail that has an arrow directing towards the cypress reserve. Once you reach this post, you're right in the middle of the Bell's territory. I also ran into a few more Bell's much higher up on the trail, near the junction that drops down into Fremont Canyon.

Besides that, I found a new GREEN-TAILED TOWHEE near the first Bell's spot. It sang on and off and occasionally popped into view, but it was too deep in the brush for photos. I also had plenty of BLACK-CHINNED SPARROWS, a female MACGILLIVRAY'S WARBLER, one HERMIT WARBLER, two CANYON WRENS, some ROCK WRENS, a few CALIFORNIA GNATCATCHERS, a couple VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOWS, two BELL'S VIREOS along the Santa Ana River, and lots of other enjoyable species.

Note that in order to access Coal Canyon, you'll need to park at the start of the Santa Ana River Trail (33.870921, -117.669422) and then walk west for a little over a mile until you reach a freeway underpass that leads to the real trailhead. From this point, take the trail that heads up the west (right) side of the canyon, and hike an additional 2 miles to reach the first Bell's Sparrow spot. This trail is almost completely exposed and gets hot by the afternoon, so if you're thinking of heading up make sure to come early and prepared.

Full details on the ebird checklist: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45046051

Good birding
--
Ryan Seppala
Orange

Back to top
Date: 4/26/18 8:46 am
From: Don Hoechlin via Groups.Io <Quixdimnd=<aol.com...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] OC Birds
Here are recent shots from SJWS. On Flickr : https://www.flickr.com/photos/128470460@N05/shares/1853Y2. Don Hoechlin. RMV

Back to top
Date: 4/26/18 5:02 am
From: Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Orange County RBA: April 26, 2018
*RBA*

* California
* Orange County
* April 26, 2018
* CAOC18.04.26

This is the Orange County, CA weekly Rare Bird Alert (RBA) and local events
summary. California Bird Records Committee (CBRC) review species are
capitalized and marked with asterisks below. All documentation of review
species should be forwarded to the CBRC secretary, Tom Benson, at
<secretary...>

*BIRDS MENTIONED*

*TRICOLORED HERON*
White-winged Dove
Calliope Hummingbird
Green-tailed Towhee
Clay-colored Sparrow
Bell's Sparrow
Scott's Oriole
American Redstart
Cool Warbler
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Palm Warbler

A TRICOLORED HERON that reappeared at Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve in
Huntington Beach on March 18 was last seen on April 25. It has been seen
well all over the “pocket pond” and surrounding areas including the
Wintersburg Channel and muted tidal area, but can be very hit-or-miss.
***Because Tricolored Heron is a CBRC Review Species, please send
documentation to the CBRC Secretary Tom Benson at
<secretary...>

Two WHITE-WINGED DOVES were reported in the county in the last week, the
first at San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary in Irvine on April 20 and the
second at Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve in Huntington Beach on April 22.
Unfortunately, this is one species that rarely sticks around to be chased
after, unless your name is Roger Schoedl. Most birds that are reported in
Orange County are fly-bys that are never refound again.

Three CALLIOPE HUMMINGBIRDS continued in the last week. This included an
immature male in the butterfly garden, aka the (not so) "secret garden," at
Huntington Central Park in Huntington Beach that continued through April
24. Of two Calliope Hummingbirds that were recently found in Silverado
Canyon at Sherry Meddick's house, aka Ryan's chief residential competition
for cool hummingbirds in Orange County, the female was reported through
April 19 and the male through April 20.

Two new GREEN-TAILED TOWHEES were found in the county in the last week. The
first was found in Silverado Canyon at 33.751957, -117.555565 on April 22;
this may actually be a returning bird first found by Jeff and me in fall
2016 in this same general area, or maybe it's not 🤷‍♂️. The second bird
was found at Chaparral Park in Irvine on the same date at approximately
33.63752, -117.81210. A third Green-tailed Towhee continued at the private
FDA building in Irvine on April 25, where it has been since December 27.

A CLAY-COLORED SPARROW first found on December 29 continued at Huntington
Central Park in Huntington Beach through April 24, where it continued to
associate with a flock of Chipping Sparrows in the grassy area north of
"the island."

Two BELL'S SPARROWS were reported from the Coal Canyon area in the Santa
Ana Mountains. This species is a year-round resident in Orange County and
breeds in this area where there is extensive chamise chaparral. However,
due to difficult hiking access from the north and restricted access from
the south, it's one of the less chaseable birds to get in Orange County
unless your last name is Aird or Bray.

A SCOTT'S ORIOLE was photographed in a residential yard in Wagon Wheel
(across the street from Riley Wilderness Park) on April 21. The bird has
not been seen since but is believed to be gradually making its way
northwest towards Ryan's backyard...

Two AMERICAN REDSTARTS were reported in the last week, including one at
Mason Regional Park in Irvine on April 19 that was first found on December
10, and one at Tree Hill at the San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary in Irvine on
April 23 that was presumably the same bird that was first found on December
2.

We don't typically throw in hybrids, but this one was very cool, so what
the heck! A likely CAPE MAY x YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER put in a very brief
appearance in the Tree Hill area of San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary in
Irvine on April 23, where good photographs were obtained. While
superficially appearing to be a male Cape May Warbler, the bird showed
several inconsistencies that pointed toward hybridization, including but
not limited to a yellow coronal patch, reduced streaking in the throat, a
gray back, lack of yellow in the nape, and lack of chestnut in the
supercilium. As cited in Dunn and Garrett's *A Field Guide to Warblers of
North America* (1997) and Baltz and Latta's Birds of North America account
for Cape May Warbler (1998), this hybrid pairing has occurred in the past
before, but certainly seems to be extremely rare from the general lack of
records. The bird was never seen by anybody else and is seemingly gone by
this point, but is just one more cool record from Orange County,
arguably(?) the coolest county in California.

A CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER first found on November 18 continued on the west
side of Huntington Central Park in Huntington Beach in the eucalyptus trees
along the edge of Huntington Lake.

A PALM WARBLER first found on December 17 continued at Huntington Central
Park in Huntington Beach through April 22. It’s often seen to the east of
the island area.

[...]

The next Upper Newport Bay monthly bird walk will take place on April 29
from 8:00am to 11:00am. Meet at the Big Canyon parking lot.

The next monthly Wildlife Walk at San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary in Irvine
will take place on May 5 from 9:00am to 10:30am. Meet at the Audubon House.

*UPCOMING EVENTS THAT REQUIRE ADVANCE RESERVATIONS*

Sea and Sage's trip to Big Morongo Canyon Preserve will take place on April
29 from 7:00am to 2:00pm. Please email Nancy Kenyon if you’re interested
in going at <nancykenyon...>

The next trip to sail up Upper Newport Bay on the pontoon boat will be May
16 from 8:15am to 11:00am. Please email Nancy Kenyon if you’re interested
at <nancykenyon...>

The Spring Pelagic Trip has been rescheduled once again and will take place
on May 19 (or will it?). Reservations are required. Please email Nancy
Kenyon if you’re interested at <nancykenyon...> There is more
information about the trip here:
http://seaandsageaudubon.org/FieldTrips/Trips/Pelagic/PelagicTrips.html.
Jeff won't be going, which means the chance for megararities is extremely

Date: 4/24/18 5:52 am
From: <etchisond...> <detchison22...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Caspers correction
Correction:  That should be Black-throated Gray Warbler, not Black-throated Blue.

Diane Etchison
San Clemente

Back to top
Date: 4/23/18 11:23 pm
From: <etchisond...> <detchison22...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Caspers Wilderness Park
At the spring bird count at Caspers Wilderness Park today we saw an unusual number of migrants in oak trees at the end of the road close to the start of the Bell Canyon trail, and not far from the watering drip.  Species included Hermit Warblers, Black-throated Blue Warblers, Townsend's Warblers, Wilson's Warblers, and Warbling Vireos.  There was a White-tailed Kite along the Juaneno Trail, the first I've seen at Caspers in years.  Cactus Wrens were seen in 4 different locations, and at least one bird was collecting nesting material. A  group of at least 8 Bullock's Orioles were observed near the entrance and nearby campgrounds.  After years of declining bird numbers due to drought and oak tree deaths, this count was encouraging.

Diane Etchison
San Clemente

Back to top
Date: 4/23/18 10:14 pm
From: Don Hoechlin via Groups.Io <Quixdimnd=<aol.com...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Maple Springs and beyond
Had a great day - 6 hours - hiking up Maple Springs to beyond Big Cone Springs. Many warblers, empids, Mountain Quail, new Hairy Woodpecker location, Townsend’s Solitaire and more. See Flickr : https://www.flickr.com/photos/128470460@N05/shares/Q6RCpP. Don Hoechlin. RMV

Back to top
Date: 4/23/18 5:43 pm
From: James Pike <jimpike444...>
Subject: Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Update on the **Possible** Cape May Warbler at San Joaquin Marsh - 23 APR
Very cool. Given the gray mantle and crown, the latter with a central
splotch of yellow, Cape May x Yellow-rumped does make the most sense.
Further, given the concentration of yellow on the chin and throat, I'd say
Audubon's was involved. Their ranges do slightly converge in British
Columbia and Alberta.

Jim Pike
HB

On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 1:43 PM, Jeff Bray <jbray4913...> wrote:

> I arrived about 40 minutes after Chuck had the bird. A bit later, there
> were 5-6 of us there looking in the silk oaks and other trees in the
> vicinity where Chuck saw it, but we didn't have any luck.
>
> Chuck took quite a few photos of the bird and has uploaded them to his
> flickr site starting with this photo: https://www.flickr.com/
> photos/139270976@N07/26787321507/in/dateposted/
>
> There has been some talk about this bird being a Cape May X Yellow-rumped
> Warbler. I'll let Doug chime in on that (please?)
>
> Cool looking bird though, whatever it ends up being.
>
> Tree Hill was very active with a lot of migrants. Worth a good check over
> the next few weeks for sure.
>

> --
> Jeff Bray
> Irvine, CA

Back to top

Date: 4/23/18 11:54 am
From: Jeff Bray <jbray4913...>
Subject: Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Male cape may warbler at San Joaquin marsh/tree hill.

Just a side note to this bird. There is some speculation that it could be a hybrid after seeing photos from Chuck Schussman. Here looking for the bird now with him.

> On Apr 23, 2018 at 11:34 AM, <Jeff Bray (mailto:<jbray4913...>)> wrote:
>

> I’m currently driving as I am speaking this message, I received photos of a male cape may warbler that someone has just seen on tree hill at San Joaquin marsh. He is currently trying to find the bird again.
>

> --
> Jeff Bray
> Irvine, CA

Back to top
Date: 4/23/18 11:35 am
From: Jeff Bray <jbray4913...>

Date: 4/22/18 2:08 pm
From: Jeff Bray <jbray4913...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Red-necked Phalarope continued at San Joaquin - 22 APR
Did a big loop at San Joaquin today (3.5 miles) and had a myriad of things.
The Red-necked Phalarope (Not Red-necked Grebe or Red Phalarope) continued
on Pond E. The Wilson's Phalarope was no where to be found. I saw at least
10 Ash-throated Flycatchers, which seemed to be all over the property. 1
Least Tern made a quick pass over Pond 1 late in the morning. There was a
MacGillivray's Warbler that I heard calling in the berry patch over in the
"Urban Forest" or "Treehill" area. It popped up for a quick photo then took
off across the dirt road and I never saw or heard it again, rude... The
Silk Oaks in the Treehill area are finally putting out some good blooms and
the Orioles and Tanagers were happy about that. Hopefully this will be
another good year in that section for migrants. It was very birdy over
there today.

List below with a few pics.
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44836422

Back to top
Date: 4/22/18 1:42 pm
From: Trish G <trishrg62...>
Subject: Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Flycatcher? ID, please
This looks like an Olive-sided Flycatcher.

Trish Gussler, Anaheim

On Sun, Apr 22, 2018 at 1:24 PM, Wm Voss <bellafortuni...> wrote:

> High up in a dead tree in the dry creek skirting the tennis courts at
> Carbon Canyon Regional Park. Sat for several minutes, then dove into the
> low brush; no vocal at all. Apologies for the fairly awful images:
>
> http://www.bcsocal.org/image_uploads/Flycatcher.jpg
> http://www.bcsocal.org/image_uploads/Flycatcher2.jpg
> http://www.bcsocal.org/image_uploads/Flycatcher3.jpg
>
> Wm Erik Voss
> Fullerton

Back to top
Date: 4/22/18 1:37 pm
From: Wm Voss <bellafortuni...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Flycatcher? ID, please

View/Reply Online (#12508): https://groups.io/g/OrangeCountyBirding/message/12508
View All Messages In Topic (1): https://groups.io/g/OrangeCountyBirding/topic/18045633

Date: 4/22/18 12:58 pm
From: Roger Schoedl via Groups.Io <rogerschoedl=<aol.com...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Huntington Central Park 4/22/18
I spent the morning aimlessly wandering the east side of Huntington Central Park. A nice mix of expected western migrants throughout the park.

Highlights were:
CASSIN'S VIREO (2) - one at the north end of Gothard Hill by the maintenance yard, the other at west end of the Island slough where it drains into the lake; both singing intermittently
HAMMOND'S FLYCATHER - west end of the Island slough where drains into the lake
PALM WARBLER - east end of the Island slough
CLAY-COLORED SPARROW - big lawn west of Gothard Hill and regularly heard singing its deep purring buzz

Yesterday's Gray Flycatchers were nowhere to be seen.

Roger Schoedl
Huntington Beach

Back to top
Date: 4/21/18 4:13 pm
From: Jeff Bray <jbray4913...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Red-necked Phalarope also at San Joaquin Marsh 21 Apr

In addition to the female Wilson’s Phalarope on Pond C, there is a Red-necked Phalarope on Pond E as well.

Back to top
Date: 4/21/18 2:59 pm
From: Jeff Bray <jbray4913...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Wilson’s Phalarope at San Joaquin Marsh 21 Apr

Serving as messenger, Bruce Aird reports there is a Female Wilson’s Phalarope on Pond C at San Joaquin Marsh.

Back to top
Date: 4/21/18 2:55 pm
From: Roger Schoedl via Groups.Io <rogerschoedl=<aol.com...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Hammond's & Gray Flycatchers 4/21/18
A midday tour of the eastern side of Huntington Central Park turned up a GRAY FLYCATCHER in the myoporum and pepper trees in the far NW corner of the big lawn west of the Gothard parking lot. The CLAY-COLORED SPARROW continues in the same location as the GRAY. A HAMMOND'S FLYCATCHER was along the edge of the lake where it runs east-west due south of the Slater parking lot.

Roger Schoedl
Huntington Beach

Back to top
Date: 4/21/18 9:01 am
From: Roger Schoedl via Groups.Io <rogerschoedl=<aol.com...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Chestnut-sided Warbler continues - 4/21/18
The wintering CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER continues on the west side of Huntington Central Park on the west side of the lake. It is now in breeding plumage and a treat to see.

Though not in high numbers a good mix of western migrants was also present.

Roger Schoedl
Huntington Beach

Back to top
Date: 4/20/18 12:49 pm
From: Terry Hill <terrynjohn...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Highlights of April 20 Harriett Wieder Park Monthly Count
Today’s (April 20) monthly survey of Harriett Wieder Park produced the following highlights:
2 Vaux’s Swifts (by Fisher’s Gulch)
2 Red-necked Phalaropes
4 Warbling Vireos (two were in the playground area)
4 American Pipits
2 Black-throated Gray Warblers
2 Wilson’s Warblers (both in Fisher’s Gulch)
2 Japanese White-eyes
1 California Thrasher (continuing in the area below Seapoint and Garfield)

We did not find the Calliope Hummingbird, although Allen’s Hummingbirds were abundant (58 counted today).  In addition, the group doing the area below Seapoint and Garfield reported that they observed Crows entering and leaving the reeds with eggs in their beaks, presumed to be eggs of Red-winged Blackbirds.
--
Terry Hill
Huntington Beach

Join us on Facebook!