lacobirds
Received From Subject
4/19/24 8:49 pm Jon Fisher via groups.io <JonF60...> [LACoBirds] Los Angeles RBA- April 19 2024
4/19/24 1:44 pm Lance Benner via groups.io <lbenner...> [LACoBirds] America's Birdiest County: April 26-28
4/19/24 8:22 am JonathanRowley via groups.io <jonathan.james...> [LACoBirds] Two Orchard Orioles at La Mirada Park
4/18/24 10:46 am Tom Benson via groups.io <thomasabenson...> Re: [LACoBirds] Common Nighthawk at Long Beach Marina
4/18/24 10:44 am Nancy Salem via groups.io <vintage330...> [LACoBirds] Common Nighthawk at Long Beach Marina
4/12/24 6:19 pm Jon Fisher <JonF60...> [LACoBirds] Los Angeles RBA- April 12 2024
4/12/24 4:22 pm Mary & Nick Freeman <mnfreeman...> Re: [LACoBirds] Missing Purple Finches
4/12/24 1:23 pm Cathy McFadden <mcfadden...> Re: [LACoBirds] Missing Purple Finches
4/12/24 12:43 pm <tgmiko...> <tgmiko...> [LACoBirds] Missing Purple Finches
4/10/24 6:09 pm Kimball Garrett <cyanolyca818...> [LACoBirds] A common (and easily fixed) eBird error
4/9/24 12:08 pm Bill Cullen <liamkestrel...> [LACoBirds] Ravens,etc
4/6/24 3:46 pm <rebecca.fenning...> [LACoBirds] LA Birders Webinar: Loon ID, 4/9 + Spring Chaparral Field Trips!
4/5/24 8:25 pm Jon Fisher <JonF60...> [LACoBirds] Los Angeles RBA- April 5 2024
4/1/24 12:11 pm Grigory Heaton <g.heaton...> [LACoBirds] Sabine’s gull @ Piute ponds
3/29/24 9:55 pm Jon Fisher <JonF60...> [LACoBirds] Los Angeles RBA- March 29 2024
3/29/24 5:21 pm Jonathan Feenstra via groups.io <feenstra...> [LACoBirds] Tricolored Blackbirds at Piute Ponds
3/27/24 12:50 pm Al Borodayko <adboro...> Re: [LACoBirds] TLDR: Claremont parrots and parakeets
3/26/24 11:23 am <tgmiko...> <tgmiko...> Re: [LACoBirds] TLDR: Claremont parrots and parakeets
3/25/24 11:07 am <tgmiko...> <tgmiko...> [LACoBirds] TLDR: Claremont parrots and parakeets
3/23/24 8:50 pm <lathrotriccus...> Re: [LACoBirds] White Wagtail in Boyle Heights
3/23/24 6:49 pm Wanda <wandadameron2...> [LACoBirds] Hooded Oriole + other unusual birds
3/23/24 2:22 pm <hainfamily...> <hainfamily...> [LACoBirds] White Wagtail in Boyle Heights
3/22/24 8:55 pm Jon Fisher <JonF60...> [LACoBirds] Los Angeles RBA- March 22 2024
3/21/24 1:18 pm Jonathan Feenstra via groups.io <feenstra...> [LACoBirds] Glossy Ibis, Piute Ponds, 3/21/24

Back to top
Date: 4/19/24 8:49 pm
From: Jon Fisher via groups.io <JonF60...>
Subject: [LACoBirds] Los Angeles RBA- April 19 2024
- RBA
* California

* Los Angeles RBA

* April 19, 2024

* CALA2404.19

-Birds mentioned

Long-tailed Duck

Red-necked Grebe

White-winged Dove

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron

Brown Booby

Dusky-capped Flycatcher

Brown-crested Flycatcher

THICK-BILLED KINGBIRD

Purple Martin

Brown Thrasher

White Wagtail

Clay-colored Sparrow

Orchard Oriole

American Redstart

Chestnut-sided Warbler

Palm Warbler

Pine Warbler

Black-and-white Warbler

Rose-breasted Grosbeak

California Bird Records Committee (report rarities as appropriate on the rare bird report form): http://www.californiabirds.org/

Enter your bird sightings on eBird: http://ebird.org/content/ebird

Hotline: Los Angeles Rare Bird Alert

E-mail reports to: Jon Fisher at <JonF60...>

Coverage: Los Angeles County

-Transcript

This is the Los Angeles Rare Bird Alert for April 19, 2024.

Continuing at the Ballona Creek mouth through April 15 was a LONG-TAILED DUCK.

The RED-NECKED GREBE at the Ballona Creek mouth continued through April 17.

A WHITE-WINGED DOVE was in the east Antelope Valley on April 16.

YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT-HERONS continued at Ballona Lagoon through April 17 and at Alamitos Bay through April 18.

A BROWN BOOBY was offshore southwest of San Pedro on April 18.

The DUSKY-CAPPED FLYCATCHER continued at Vincent Lugo Park in San Gabriel through April 16.

The BROWN-CRESTED FLYCATCHER at the South Coast Botanic Garden continued through April 14 by the Arizona Crossing and Tram Road.

The THICK-BILLED KINGBIRD continued in Griffith Park through April 14. Google Earth coordinates are approximately 34.14079, -118.28856. Although the bird moves around the area, it does regularly come back to this spot.

A PURPLE MARTIN was at the Piute Ponds on Edwards AFB (letter of permission required for entry) from April 12-13.

A BROWN THRASHER continued along the West San Gabriel River Parkway Nature Trail in Lakewood through April 17 in the area below Monte Verde Park. A BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER continued here through April 13.

The WHITE WAGTAIL continued along the Los Angeles River through April 14. Recently it has been upstream from Buena Vista Park in Burbank (near the Warner Brothers gate) and moving up and down this part of the river.

CLAY-COLORED SPARROWS included one continuing in Area 3 of El Dorado Park in Long Beach through April, one at Vina Vieja Park in Pasadena through April 13 and one at Rio de Los Angeles Park through April 12.

Two ORCHARD ORIOLES were at La Mirada Park on April 19 by the play area at the top of the hill.

The AMERICAN REDSTART at Oakdale Memorial Park in Glendora continued through April 14. Another was at North Atwater Park on April 19.

The CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER at Victory Park in Pasadena continued through April 17 above the south playground area.

A PALM WARBLER was at Castaic Lagoon by Grasshopper Canyon (playground area) on April 12.

Another PALM WARBLER was in the southeast corner of Ken Malloy Harbor Regional Park in Harbor City on April 13.

A PINE WARBLER was at Satellite Park in Cerritos on April 13.

A ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK was in Altadena on April 18.

-end transcript

Jon L Fisher

Glendale, CA

<JonF60...>

EVENTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS

For all events, field trips and announcements, please see our website at http://www.laaudubon.org

Listowners: mailto:<LACoBirds-owner...>
-=-=-
Group Owner: LACoBirds+<owner...>
Unsubscribe: https://groups.io/g/LACoBirds/unsub [<lists...>]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 4/19/24 1:44 pm
From: Lance Benner via groups.io <lbenner...>
Subject: [LACoBirds] America's Birdiest County: April 26-28
Hi Everyone, Just a quick heads-up that we're going to do "America's
Birdiest County" next weekend, April 26-28, all across Los Angeles
County. I'll provide a lot more information about this in another
email over the weekend. Regards, Lance Lance BennerAltadena, CA
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#4150) | Reply To Sender | Reply To Group | Mute
This Topic | New Topic

[<lists...>]
_._,_._,_

Back to top
Date: 4/19/24 8:22 am
From: JonathanRowley via groups.io <jonathan.james...>
Subject: [LACoBirds] Two Orchard Orioles at La Mirada Park
I just found a first spring male Orchard Oriole chasing a female Orchard Oriole at La Mirada Park. This is near the play area at the top of the hill adjacent to splash. The birds were chasing each other around the sycamores. The female Orchard Oriole is probably continuing , but this is the first time I have seen the young male in the park.

3 3.906919 , - 1 1 8.008689

Jonathan Rowley
N. Tustin, CA

Date: 4/18/24 10:46 am
From: Tom Benson via groups.io <thomasabenson...>
Subject: Re: [LACoBirds] Common Nighthawk at Long Beach Marina
If you're referring to this eBird checklist (https://ebird.org/checklist/S169129833), the photos are of a Common Poorwill, not a Common Nighthawk.
Tom BensonRedlands, CA
On Thursday, April 18, 2024 at 10:44:04 AM PDT, Nancy Salem <vintage330...> wrote:

Hello,

Does anyone have more specific location information on the Common Nighthawk reported yesterday at a personal location in Long Beach?

Thanks in advance.

Nancy Salem (and others),
Long Beach

Date: 4/12/24 6:19 pm
From: Jon Fisher <JonF60...>
Subject: [LACoBirds] Los Angeles RBA- April 12 2024
- RBA
* California

* Los Angeles RBA

* April 12, 2024

* CALA2404.12

-Birds mentioned

White-winged Dove

Red-necked Grebe

Franklin’s Gull

Lesser Black-backed Gull

Western Cattle Egret

Tropical Kingbird

THICK-BILLED KINGBIRD

Brown Thrasher

White Wagtail

Clay-colored Sparrow

Swamp Sparrow

Black-and-white Warbler

Chestnut-sided Warbler

Palm Warbler

Hepatic Tanager

California Bird Records Committee (report rarities as appropriate on the rare bird report form): http://www.californiabirds.org/

Enter your bird sightings on eBird: http://ebird.org/content/ebird

Hotline: Los Angeles Rare Bird Alert

E-mail reports to: Jon Fisher at <JonF60...>

Coverage: Los Angeles County

-Transcript

This is the Los Angeles Rare Bird Alert for April 12, 2024.

A WHITE-WINGED DOVE was near the Fish Canyon entrance in Duarte on April 5.

The RED-NECKED GREBE at the Ballona Creek mouth continued through April 12.

A FRANKLIN’S GULL was observed flying over Montebello on April 9.

A LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL was along the Los Angeles River at 26th Street in Vernon on April 10.

A WESTERN CATTLE EGRET was on the island at the Sepulveda Basin Wildlife Reserve in Van Nuys on April 8.

Along the lower Los Angeles River, a TROPICAL KINGBIRD continued below Willow Street through April 9.

The THICK-BILLED KINGBIRD continued in Griffith Park through April 12. Google Earth coordinates are approximately 34.14079, -118.28856. Although the bird moves around the area, it does regularly come back to this spot.

A BROWN THRASHER continued along the West San Gabriel River Parkway Nature Trail in Lakewood through April 6 in the area below Monte Verde Park.

The WHITE WAGTAIL continued along the Los Angeles River through April 9. Recently it has been upstream from Buena Vista Park in Burbank (near the Warner Brothers gate) and moving up and down this part of the river.

CLAY-COLORED SPARROWS included one continuing in Area 3 of El Dorado Park in Long Beach through April 5 east of the Golden Grove parking lot and another continuing in Silver Lake through April 12.

Another CLAY-COLORED SPARROW was at North Side Park in Azusa on April 5.

A SWAMP SPARROW was at the Piute Ponds on Edwards AFB on April 5. A letter of permission is required for entry.

A BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER continued at Madrona Marsh in Torrance through April 7 and another did so at the West San Gabriel River Parkway Nature Trail in Lakewood through April 10.

The CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER was seen at Victory Park in Pasadena (south of the playground) through April 9.

A PALM WARBLER was at Ken Malloy Harbor Regional Park in Harbor City from April 7-8 near the southernmost parking lot on the west side of the park.

The wintering HEPATIC TANAGER at Banning Park in Wilmington continued through April 9 around the museum grounds.

Date: 4/12/24 4:22 pm
From: Mary & Nick Freeman <mnfreeman...>
Subject: Re: [LACoBirds] Missing Purple Finches
Hi Birders,

We went up to Bear Dvide Road and before arriving to that spot, we enjoyed Rufous-crowned Sparrow and Black-chinned Sparrow. Both a real treat.

At the Bear Divide Road site, no migrants were present but more Rufous-crowned Sparrow were seen and calling Mountain Quail were downslope from the parking area. A pleasant day, Saturday April 6th.

Mary Freeman
Glendale CA

Date: 4/12/24 12:43 pm
From: <tgmiko...> <tgmiko...>
Subject: [LACoBirds] Missing Purple Finches
Hi,
Recently, I hiked Evey Canyon above Claremont, and actually succeeded at
not hearing or seeing a single Purple Finch. I have not had any in my
neighborhood in or around Wheeler Park this entire winter except for one
singing female type bird at the end of winter. Same goes for the rest of
Claremont. This morning I hiked for a little bit on the fire road that
comes off of Glendora Ridge Road, checking to see if Black chinned Sparrows
have returned yet, or not (no not yet), and was equally struck by the lack
of Purple Finches up there (by the way, up there there were no clouds and I
could see the fog in the city below me, while the sun was beating down on
me, mercilessly).
Has anybody else noticed how few or no Purple Finches there are this year?

Thomas Geza Miko
Claremont, LA County
909.241.3300
"Az sem kellemes, ha halálra ítélik az embert, de hogy a sakk csapatában se
játszhasson már, az váratlanul érte. Erre végképp nem volt felkészülve"
--Spiró György

Date: 4/10/24 6:09 pm
From: Kimball Garrett <cyanolyca818...>
Subject: [LACoBirds] A common (and easily fixed) eBird error
Compose:
Draft saved
[image: Minimize][image: Pop-out][image: Close]

Birders:

[Please ignore if you don't use eBird]

I have noticed that many eBirders do not seem to grasp how to enter
subspecies on their eBird lists. Here is an example:
In your birding, you encounter and identify 20 "Audubon's" Yellow-rumped
Warblers and 2 "Myrtle" Yellow-rumped Warblers.

Your eBird list should therefore show:
--- Yellow-rumped Warbler
2 Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)
20 Yellow-rumped Warbler (Audubon's)

But many eBirders enter it like this:
22 Yellow-rumped Warbler
2 Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)
20 Yellow-rumped Warbler (Audubon's)

This is wrong, since your list now shows 44 Yellow-rumped Warblers total
when in fact you only found 22 of them.

Of course, it may not be possible to identify all individuals encountered
to subspecies. ,So if you found 20 "Audubon's," 2 "Myrtles," and 10 other
Yellow-rumped Warblers that could not be identified to subspecies, you
would enter it as:
10 Yellow-rumped Warbler
2 Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)
20 Yellow-rumped Warbler (Audubon's)

In summary, if you list a bird to subspecies, then DO NOT also include that
bird under the "umbrella" species name. Seems obvious, but many birders do
this incorrectly. If you have been doing this incorrectly, please take the
time to go back and correct your lists.

Remember that you can toggle on/off the button that says "Show Subspecies"
when you enter an eBird list. If you elect to show (and enter) subspecies,
then please enter them conservatively (very few subspecies in our area are
readily identifiable in the field). It is our bias (as reviewers) that if
there is only one subspecies possible in the region [e.g., "Brown Pelican
(California)"] you should only enter your observation to the species level
unless you carefully examined characters that allowed you to identify the
subspecies. [How many of you who enter Brown Pelicans in our area to
subspecies actually studied them carefully to rule out, for example, the
subspecies *carolinensis* from the Gulf of Mexico or *occidentalis* from
the West Indies, which are not part of the "California: subspecies group?]

Thanks,

Kimball Garrett (for the L. A. County eBIrd reviewer team)

Date: 4/9/24 12:08 pm
From: Bill Cullen <liamkestrel...>
Subject: [LACoBirds] Ravens,etc
There have been large groupings (Unkindness) of Ravens in the Palos Verdes Area near Pt. Vicente. I have taken notice of this for a few years. Yesterday I counted 70 . They seem to be in some doing Courtship displays. In addition, Brown Pelicans are seemingly heading Northward in steady flows. Bill Cullen Palos Verdes Peninsula.

Date: 4/6/24 3:46 pm
From: <rebecca.fenning...>
Subject: [LACoBirds] LA Birders Webinar: Loon ID, 4/9 + Spring Chaparral Field Trips!
Dear Birders,

You are invited to the next LA Birders webinar and to an upcoming field
trip series:

Webinar: Wings over Water: Discerning Loon species by Flight and Plumage

With Dessi Sieburth

Tuesday, April 9 at 7pm – on YouTube <https://tinyurl.com/2y6efp3f>

Loons are a notoriously difficult group to identify due to similarity in
plumage among species, variation within the same species, and general
difficulty of obtaining good views.

Join Dessi as he discusses the identification of our three regularly
occurring loon species (Common, Pacific, and Red-throated), as well as the
two rarer species (Yellow-billed, Arctic).

This webinar will be livestreamed on our YouTube channel
<https://tinyurl.com/2y6efp3f> and will also be recorded for later viewing.
Please use the YouTube link above (alternatively:
https://tinyurl.com/2y6efp3f) which will take you directly to LAB’s main
page, where the live webinar should be visible once it begins at 7pm.

Field Trip: Exploring the LA County Chaparral

Leaders: Naresh Satyan and Lance Benner

Saturday, April 20, May 18, June 15 – sign up here
<https://www.labirders.org/event_signups/chaparralapr2024dwg.html>

Join us to explore the chaparral habitat in the foothills and mountains of
Los Angeles county this spring and early summer! This will be a series of
hikes through chaparral and riparian habitat in the mountains that tend to
get less attention from the birding community compared to popular hotspots.

Interested participants will be signing up for the series of three hikes,
but registered participants are welcome to attend one or all of the hikes
once you have signed up – no additional signup or RSVP is necessary.

These hikes will be moderately strenuous, and will include some steep
grades and significant elevation gain, stream crossings, hot weather with
no shade, rocky terrain, biting insects, thorny plants, etc. Hikes may last
4-6 hours, hiking for 6-8 miles round-trip.

Walk locations and start times will be sent to participants in advance of
each walk. More important information about this field trip series is on
our website
<https://www.labirders.org/event_signups/chaparralapr2024dwg.html>.

Become a LAB Member! Though our webinars will always remain free and
available to all, members of Los Angeles Birders have access to live
webinars via Zoom, invitations to special LAB-only field trips, priority
sign-up on LAB field trips & events, and discounts on paid LAB programs. To
learn more about membership, please see our website
<https://www.labirders.org/>!

Looking for a past webinar? Don’t forget that a list of all of our
previously recorded webinars <https://www.labirders.org/webinars.html> is
available on our website – which might come in handy if you want to study
up before a field trip, or if you're looking to build your birding skills
from home! Just scroll all the way down, past our upcoming and most recent
online programs and you'll find a list of webinars sorted by category.
These recordings are all viewable via our YouTube
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHbAhQTFVaeowMCl-sD2e0g> page.

Quiz yourself!

Did you know that LAB’s website features monthly quizzes to test your bird
identification skills? You can find the current quiz, and all past quizzes
on our website <https://labirders.org/quizzes.html>. Thank you to
LAB-Students members for putting in the time to devise these for us!

Upcoming Programs

4/7 Sundays at the Huntington with Katy Mann (members only field trip)

4/9 Loon identification with Dessi Sieburth (webinar)

4/20 Exploring the LA County Chaparral with Naresh Satyan and Lance Benner
(field trip)

5/13 Flycatcher ID made Accessible: from Empids to Kingbirds with Cin-Ty
Lee and Andy Birch (webinar)

5/18 Exploring the LA County Chaparral with Naresh Satyan and Lance Benner
(field trip)

6/2 5-hour Redondo Canyon Pelagic (field trip, member priority sign-up
coming soon)

6/11 Soaring into the Future: Innovative Strategies for California Condor
Conservation with Myra Finkelstein (webinar)

6/15 Exploring the LA County Chaparral with Naresh Satyan and Lance Benner
(field trip)

Good birding,

Rebecca Marschall for Los Angeles Birders

<info...>

--
Rebecca Fenning Marschall
<rebecca.fenning...>

Date: 4/5/24 8:25 pm
From: Jon Fisher <JonF60...>
Subject: [LACoBirds] Los Angeles RBA- April 5 2024
- RBA
* California

* Los Angeles RBA

* April 5, 2024

* CALA2404.05

-Birds mentioned

White-winged Dove

Sabine’s Gull

Western Cattle Egret

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron

THICK-BILLED KINGBIRD

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher

American Dipper

Brown Thrasher

White Wagtail

Lark Bunting

Clay-colored Sparrow

FIELD SPARROW

Green-tailed Towhee

Black-and-white Warbler

Cape May Warbler

Chestnut-sided Warbler

Hepatic Tanager

California Bird Records Committee (report rarities as appropriate on the rare bird report form): http://www.californiabirds.org/

Enter your bird sightings on eBird: http://ebird.org/content/ebird

Hotline: Los Angeles Rare Bird Alert

E-mail reports to: Jon Fisher at <JonF60...>

Coverage: Los Angeles County

-Transcript

This is the Los Angeles Rare Bird Alert for April 5, 2024.

A WHITE-WINGED DOVE was at a residence in Beverly Glen on March 31.

A SABINE’S GULL was at the Piute Ponds on Edwards AFB from April 1-4.

A WESTERN CATTLE EGRET was at Peck Road Water Conservation Park in Arcadia from March 31-April 1.

Up to three YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT-HERONS continued at Ballona Lagoon through April 3.

The THICK-BILLED KINGBIRD continued in Griffith Park through April 1Google Earth coordinates are approximately 34.14079, -118.28856. Although the bird moves around this area, it does regularly come back to this spot.

A SCISSOR-TAILED FLYCATCHER was on San Clemente Island on April 2.

At least two AMERICAN DIPPERS continued along the Barrett-Stoddard Truck Trail along the middle fork of the San Gabriel River below Mt. Baldy Village through March 29.

A BROWN THRASHER continued along the West San Gabriel River Parkway Nature Trail in Lakewood through March 29 in the area below Monte Verde Park. Also continuing here was a GREEN-TAILED TOWHEE through April 2.

The WHITE WAGTAIL continued along the Los Angeles River through April 4. Recently it has been upstream from Buena Vista Park in Burbank (near the Warner Brothers gate) and moving up and down this part of the river.

The LARK BUNTING at Sheldon Arleta Park in Sun Valley continued through April 3 around the baseball field on the south side of the park.

CLAY-COLORED SPARROWS included two in Area 3 of El Dorado Park in Long Beach on April 2, one continuing in Silver Lake through April 3 and another continuing at Rio de Los Angeles Park through April 3.

A FIELD SPARROW was in Griffith Park along the Loop Trail off Western Canyon Road on March 29.

The GREEN-TAILED TOWHEE continued at Wheeler Park in Claremont through April 2 at 580 Bucknell Ave.

A BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER was at Madrona Marsh in Torrance on April 4.

The CAPE MAY WARBLER along the west side of Alhambra Park (in front of 507 Palm Street) was reported through March 29.

A CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER was at Victory Park in Pasadena (south of the playground) through March 31.

A HEPATIC TANAGER continued at Banning Park in Wilmington through March 29 around the museum grounds.

Date: 4/1/24 12:11 pm
From: Grigory Heaton <g.heaton...>
Subject: [LACoBirds] Sabine’s gull @ Piute ponds
Hi all,

I had a Sabine's gull almost in full alternate (really just one white feather left on the head, but strongly bicolor bill with yellow tip) at the southwest end of Duckbill about half an hour ago, foraging on the water. It was still present when I moved on to check the rest of Piute. I've attempted to attach a back of camera photo but not sure if it will work with the email listserv.

In other news, there was a big kettle of >100 Swainsons hawks this morning to the southwest when I arrived

Grigory Heaton
Pasadena, CA

Date: 3/29/24 9:55 pm
From: Jon Fisher <JonF60...>
Subject: [LACoBirds] Los Angeles RBA- March 29 2024
- RBA
* California

* Los Angeles RBA

* March 29, 2024

* CALA2403.29

-Birds mentioned

Broad-billed Hummingbird

Lesser Black-backed Gull

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron

Zone-tailed Hawk

Dusky-capped Flycatcher

Tropical Kingbird

THICK-BILLED KINGBIRD

Purple Martin

Brown Thrasher

American Dipper

White-Wagtail

Lark Bunting

Clay-colored Sparrow

Dark-eyed “Gray-headed” Junco

Green-tailed Towhee

Black-and-white Warbler

Cape May Warbler

Chestnut-sided Warbler

Palm Warbler

Painted Redstart

Hepatic Tanager

California Bird Records Committee (report rarities as appropriate on the rare bird report form): http://www.californiabirds.org/

Enter your bird sightings on eBird: http://ebird.org/content/ebird

Hotline: Los Angeles Rare Bird Alert

E-mail reports to: Jon Fisher at <JonF60...>

Coverage: Los Angeles County

-Transcript

This is the Los Angeles Rare Bird Alert for March 29, 2024.

The BROAD-BILLED HUMMINGBIRD in Glendora was seen again on March 24.

At least one LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL continued along the Los Angeles River between Downey Road and Soto Street in Vernon through March 27.

A YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON continued at Ballona Lagoon through March 26.

A ZONE-TAILED HAWK continued in north Monrovia through March 26.

A DUSKY-CAPPED FLYCATCHER was at Vincent Lugo Park in San Gabriel through March 27 near the southeast corner of the park.

TROPICAL KINGBIRDS continued at Colorado Lagoon in Long Beach through March 26 (near the playground) and at El Dorado Park in Long Beach (west of the north lake in Area 3) through March 27.

The THICK-BILLED KINGBIRD continued in Griffith Park through March 23. Google Earth coordinates are approximately 34.14079, -118.28856. Although the bird moves around this area, it does regularly come back to this spot.

A PURPLE MARTIN was at the Piute Ponds on Edwards AFB on March 22.

A BROWN THRASHER continued along the West San Gabriel River Parkway Nature Trail in Lakewood through March 27 in the area below Monte Verde Park. Also continuing here was a GREEN-TAILED TOWHEE through March 24.

Up to three AMERICAN DIPPERS were along the Barrett-Stoddard Truck Trail along the middle fork of the San Gabriel River below Mt. Baldy Village through March 27.

The WHITE WAGTAIL continued along the Los Angeles River through March 28. Recently it has been upstream from Buena Vista Park in Burbank and moving up and down this part of the river.

The LARK BUNTING at Sheldon Arleta Park in Sun Valley continued through March 26 around the baseball field on the south side of the park.

CLAY-COLORED SPARROWS continued at a residence in Silver Lake through March 28 and at El Dorado Park in Long Beach (in Area 3) through March 27.

A DARK-EYED “GRAY-HEADED” JUNCO continued at Bonelli Regional Park in San Dimas through Marvh 26 near Restroom 4. Another was at Ernest Debs Park on March 24.

GREEN-TAILED TOWHEES continued at Wheeler Park in Claremont through March 25 at 580 Bucknell Ave. and in Juniper Hills through March 27.

A BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER continued near the botanic garden at Polliwog Park in Manhattan Beach through March 22.

The CAPE MAY WARBLER along the west side of Alhambra Park (in front of 507 Palm Street) was reported through March 28.

A CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER was at Victory Park in Pasadena (south of the playground) through March 28.

A PALM WARBLER was on San Clemente Island on March 21.

A PAINTED REDSTART continued at a residence in Brentwood through March 22.

A HEPATIC TANAGER continued at Banning Park in Wilmington through March 27 around the museum grounds.

Date: 3/29/24 5:21 pm
From: Jonathan Feenstra via groups.io <feenstra...>
Subject: [LACoBirds] Tricolored Blackbirds at Piute Ponds

Piute Ponds birders,

There may be a Tricolored Blackbird breeding colony in northern Little Piute at the Piute Ponds.

From Lot 1, I noticed a few tight flocks of blackbirds (10-25) flying north-south over the C-Dike. I couldn't see exactly where they were going in Little Piute, but when I walked south on the road along the east side of that marsh, I could hear what sounded like a breeding colony. It's thick in there and I couldn't get an angle to actually see anything.

Since Edwards Air Force Base is interested in Tricolored Blackbirds on the Base (and I work for them monitoring their Tricolored Blackbirds), and some of you bird Piute Ponds, if you see any Tricolored Blackbirds, please put in your eBird species comments the details of your observation: specifically where you saw them and what they were doing.

This could be the first breeding of Tricolored Blackbirds at Piute Ponds in over 20 years - breeding bird atlas period.

Or, it could have just been a couple of hours of Tricolored Blackbird noise and today was the end of it...

Jon Feenstra
Altadena

Date: 3/27/24 12:50 pm
From: Al Borodayko <adboro...>
Subject: Re: [LACoBirds] TLDR: Claremont parrots and parakeets
I went to Wheeler Park in Claremont this morning, Wednesday 27 Mar, and saw the flock of parakeets and the Green-tailed Towhee. I posted photos of them in the photos folders:

14A Parrots and Allies - Red Masked Parakeet and Mitred Parakeet
36A Emberizids - Green-tailed Towhee

Be cautious of the ID of the Red Masked Parakeets because there are Mitred Parakeets mixed in with them.
I didn't realize this until I viewed my photos.
Enjoy, Al Borodayko
Cypress, CA

Date: 3/26/24 11:23 am
From: <tgmiko...> <tgmiko...>
Hi,
Somebody emailed me photos of the Rose ringed Parakeet from a week ago,
near Memorial Park, and in those photos it clearly was with Red crowned
Parrots, as opposed to Lilac Crowned, so this bird appears to be just
randomly hanging out with anybody.
Unrelated to that, this morning. Photographed a Blue crowned Parakeet
hiding in the middle of the flock of a Red masked Parakeets at Wheeler
Park, this morning.

Date: 3/23/24 8:50 pm
From: <lathrotriccus...>
Subject: Re: [LACoBirds] White Wagtail in Boyle Heights
The bird in question has been identified (from re-sent photos) as a mockingbird.

Dan Cooper
Ventura Co.

Date: 3/23/24 6:49 pm
From: Wanda <wandadameron2...>
Subject: [LACoBirds] Hooded Oriole + other unusual birds
Yes, Spring is definitely here!    A  male Hooded Oriole came in on
the 18th.    Even more interesting is  that had a juve/female here
somewhat regularly thru the winter!   First time ever in the 43 years
since starting birding in current home.

Can't help but wonder if birds may be responding to weather changes as
following records indicate something is happening.....

1.  a f. Red-breasted Nuthatch showed up 12/27/23 and continues often
at sunflower seed feeder,

2.  a juve, now f. (originally had bit of red crown patch) Nuttall's
Woodpecker came 4/3/23 and continues irregularly at sugar feeder,

3.  a Violet-crowned Hummer was here off and on last spring and fall,
(I first saw in LA Co, in Newhall: 5/26/87)

4.  but most surprising was a (young?) Spotted Owl on 6-17-23 perched
on a cable line across the backyard  in front of a Canary Island Pine
most of the afternoon!

Cheers,

Wanda Dameron

West San Fernando Valley

Date: 3/22/24 8:55 pm
From: Jon Fisher <JonF60...>
Subject: [LACoBirds] Los Angeles RBA- March 22 2024
- RBA
* California

* Los Angeles RBA

* March 22, 2024

* CALA2403.22

-Birds mentioned

Red-necked Grebe

Franklin’s Gull

Lesser Black-Backed Gull

Pacific Loon

GLOSSY IBIS

Zone-tailed Hawk

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Dusky-capped Flycatcher

Tropical Kingbird

THICK-BILLED KINGBIRD

American Dipper

Pacific Wren

Brown Thrasher

White Wagtail

Clay-colored Sparrow

Dark-eyed “Gray-headed” Junco

Dark-eyed “Pink-sided” Junco

Green-tailed Towhee

Orchard Oriole

Rusty Blackbird

Black-and-white Warbler

Tennessee Warbler

Cape May Warbler

Northern Parula

Chestnut-sided Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

Hepatic Tanager

Rose-breasted Grosbeak

California Bird Records Committee (report rarities as appropriate on the rare bird report form): http://www.californiabirds.org/

Enter your bird sightings on eBird: http://ebird.org/content/ebird

Hotline: Los Angeles Rare Bird Alert

E-mail reports to: Jon Fisher at <JonF60...>

Coverage: Los Angeles County

-Transcript

This is the Los Angeles Rare Bird Alert for March 22, 2024.

The continuing RED-NECKED GREBE was at the Ballona Creek mouth through March 17.

At least one LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL continued along the Los Angeles River between Downey Road and Soto Street in Vernon through March 18. A FRANKLIN’S GULL was at this location on March 16.

A continuing PACIFIC LOON was at Quail Lake near Gorman through March 18.

A GLOSSY IBIS was at the Piute Ponds on Edwards AFB on March 21. A letter of permission is required for entry.

A ZONE-TAILED HAWK continued in north Monrovia through March 16.

A YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER continued on Santa Catalina Island (along Escondido Road) through March 17.

TROPICAL KINGBIRDS continued at Colorado Lagoon in Long Beach through March 20 and at El Dorado Park in Long Beach (west of the north lake in Area 3) through March 21.

The THICK-BILLED KINGBIRD continued in Griffith Park through March 22. Google Earth coordinates are approximately 34.14079, -118.28856. Although the bird moves around this area, it does regularly come back to this spot.

At Hahamongna Watershed Park in Pasadena, the following birds continued. A PACIFIC WREN was north of the wooden bridge in the southwest part of the park through March 15. A BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER continued through March 16. A TENNESSEE WARBLER continued at Berkshire Creek through March 19.

A BROWN THRASHER continued along the West San Gabriel River Parkway Nature Trail in Lakewood through March 17 in the area below Monte Verde Park. Also continuing here was a GREEN-TAILED TOWHEE through March 17.

Two AMERICAN DIPPERS continued along the Barrett-Stoddard Truck Trail along the middle fork of the San Gabriel River below Mt. Baldy Village through March 15.

The WHITE WAGTAIL continued along the Los Angeles River through March 20. Recently it has been in the vicinity of Buena Vista Park and moving up and down this part of the river.

CLAY-COLORED SPARROWS continued at a residence in Silver Lake through March 19, at Rio de Los Angeles Park through March 15 and at Vina Vieja Park in Pasadena through March 16.

A DARK-EYED “GRAY-HEADED” JUNCO continued at Bonelli Regional Park in San Dimas through Marvh 16 near Restroom 2.

A DARK-EYED “PINK-SIDED” JUNCO continued at the Signal Hills North Side Trails through March 15.

A GREEN-TAILED TOWHEE continued through March 17 near Wheeler Park in Claremont at 580 Bucknell Ave.

An ORCHARD ORIOLE continued at Banning Park in Wilmington through March 21 usually in and around the fenced museum grounds.

A RUSTY BLACKBIRD continued at the Piute Ponds on Edwards AFB through March 18 along the north side of Ave. C. A letter of permission is required for entry.

A NORTHERN PARULA was in Coral Trees inside the entrance to the South Coast Botanic Garden through March 20.

The CAPE MAY WARBLER along the west side of Alhambra Park (in front of 507 Palm Street) was reported through March 21.

A CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER was at Victory Park in Pasadena (south of the playground) through March 20. Another CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER was at Washington Park in Pasadena on March 16.

A BLACK-THROATED GREEN WARBLER was at Vincent Lugo Park in San Gabriel through March 20 and a DUSKY-CAPPED FLYCATCHER was here through March 21. Both were near the southeast corner of the park.

A HEPATIC TANAGER continued at Banning Park in Wilmington through March 22 around the museum grounds.

A ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK was in the Meadowbrook area of the LA County Arboretum from March 20-21.

Date: 3/21/24 1:18 pm
From: Jonathan Feenstra via groups.io <feenstra...>
Subject: [LACoBirds] Glossy Ibis, Piute Ponds, 3/21/24

There's what appears to be a breeding plumaged Glossy Ibis with a flock of about 50 White-faced Ibis.
This is in the southwest corner of Duckbill pond. The flock is moving around a little in the reeds (Glossy currently visible, but that's been changing), but hasn't gone far.

Jon Feenstra
Altadena