lacobirds
Received From Subject
8/7/20 5:50 pm Jon Fisher <JonF60...> [LACoBirds] Los Angeles RBA- 7 August 2020
8/7/20 3:33 pm Jmn1992 via groups.io <Jmn1992=<yahoo.com...> Re: [LACoBirds] Reddish Egret Continues
8/7/20 2:21 pm Katz, Nurit <nkatz...> Re: [LACoBirds] Red Phalarope at LA River in Encino
8/7/20 11:47 am Katz, Nurit <nkatz...> [LACoBirds] Red Phalarope at LA River in Encino
8/7/20 10:50 am Merryl Edelstein via groups.io <merryledel=<yahoo.com...> [LACoBirds] Reddish Egret Continues
8/7/20 9:00 am Naresh Satyan <naresh.satyan...> Re: [LACoBirds] Reddish Egret at Malibu Lagoon
8/7/20 8:59 am Thomas Miko <thomas_miko...> Re: [LACoBirds] Reddish Egret at Malibu Lagoon
8/6/20 11:11 am Chris Dean via groups.io <chrisanndean=<yahoo.com...> [LACoBirds] Reddish Egret at Malibu Lagoon
8/1/20 12:30 pm Ron Cyger <ron...> [LACoBirds] Zone-tailed Hawk over Monrovia
7/31/20 7:52 pm Thomas Miko <thomas_miko...> [LACoBirds] Reddish Egret?
7/31/20 7:40 pm Jon Fisher <JonF60...> [LACoBirds] Los Angeles RBA- 31 July 2020
7/29/20 7:02 am Kim Moore via groups.io <kims.sight=<verizon.net...> [LACoBirds] Solitary Sandpiper at Willow found by Jeff Boyd
7/25/20 5:31 pm <busyday...> [LACoBirds] L.A.River action - Willow to Wardlow
7/25/20 4:14 pm Mary & Nick Freeman <mnfreeman...> [LACoBirds] Refound 1 juvie semipalm at willow
7/25/20 3:31 pm Thomas Miko <thomas_miko...> Re: [LACoBirds] Claremont black hooded (Nanday) parakeets
7/25/20 8:15 am Thomas Miko <thomas_miko...> [LACoBirds] Claremont black hooded (Nanday) parakeets
7/25/20 7:03 am Mark Scheel <scheel314...> [LACoBirds] Bairds and semipalm at willow
7/24/20 3:41 pm Jon Fisher <JonF60...> [LACoBirds] Los Angeles RBA- 24 July 2020
7/22/20 8:10 am Thomas Miko <thomas_miko...> [LACoBirds] (no rarities) It's Christmas in July
7/17/20 6:58 pm Jon Fisher <JonF60...> [LACoBirds] Los Angeles RBA- 17 July 2020
7/16/20 12:56 pm <busyday...> [LACoBirds] Spotted Doves in South L.A.
7/15/20 3:06 pm Ryan Terrill <Ornithoterrill...> [LACoBirds] Bar-tailed False Alarm
7/15/20 2:47 pm Ryan Terrill <Ornithoterrill...> [LACoBirds] BAR-TAILED GODWIT — Malibu Lagoin
7/11/20 3:39 pm Jon Fisher <JonF60...> [LACoBirds] Los Angeles RBA- 11 July 2020
7/9/20 10:05 am Stan Walens <stan.walens...> Re: [LACoBirds] No Sandwich/Cabot's Tern (yet) Thursday am
7/9/20 8:56 am Thomas Miko <thomas_miko...> [LACoBirds] No Sandwich/Cabot's Tern (yet) Thursday am
7/9/20 4:48 am Thomas Miko <thomas_miko...> Re: [LACoBirds] Apparent dark-billed tern at Malibu Lagoon
7/8/20 6:57 pm Andrew Birch via groups.io <andyrbirch=<yahoo.com...> [LACoBirds] Apparent dark-billed tern at Malibu Lagoon

Back to top
Date: 8/7/20 5:50 pm
From: Jon Fisher <JonF60...>
Subject: [LACoBirds] Los Angeles RBA- 7 August 2020
- RBA

* California

* Los Angeles RBA

* August 7 2020

* CALA2008.07

-Birds mentioned

Magnificent Frigatebird

Red Phalarope

Neotropic Cormorant

Reddish Egret

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron

Zone-tailed Hawk

Red-eyed Vireo

Northern Parula

Summer Tanager

Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Indigo Bunting

California Bird Records Committee (report rarities as appropriate on the rare bird report form): http://www.californiabirds.org/

Enter your bird sightings on eBird: http://ebird.org/content/ebird

Hotline: Los Angeles Rare Bird Alert

E-mail reports to: Jon Fisher at <JonF60...>

Coverage: Los Angeles County

-Transcript

This is the Los Angeles Rare Bird Alert for August 7.

A MAGNIFICENT FRIGATEBIRD was observed flying over Hahamongna Watershed Park in Pasadena on August 4.

A RED PHALAROPE was along the Los Angeles River just below the Burbank Blvd. crossing in Encino on August 7.

Two NEOTROPIC CORMORANTS were on the wildlife lake island at the Sepulveda Basin Wildlife Reserve on August 7.

Two other NEOTROPIC CORMORANTS continued along the lower Los Angeles River south of the Willow Street crossing in Long Beach through August 6.

A REDDISH EGRET was at Malibu Lagoon from August 6-7.

A YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON was at Malibu Lagoon from July 31-August 1. Another was at the Dominguez Gap Wetlands on the east side of the Los Angeles River below the Del Amo crossing on August 3, and a third continued at the Ballona Freshwater Marsh through August 6..

The continuing ZONE-TAILED HAWK was seen in Monrovia west of Grand Park through August 1.

A RED-EYED VIREO was found on the Lower Willow Springs Trail on the Palos Verdes Peninsula on August 4.

Two NORTHERN PARULAS continued near the play place at Ernie Howlett Park in Rolling Hills Estates through July 31.

A SUMMER TANAGER was along the creek at Paramount Ranch near Agoura Hills in the Santa Monica Mountains on August 4.

The two SUMMER TANAGERS at Pearblossom Park in the Antelope Valley continued through August 6 in the trees west of the ball fields.

A ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK was at Chadwick Canyon in Rolling Hills Estates on the Palos Verdes Peninsula on August 1.

An INDIGO BUNTING has been at Hahamongna Watershed Park in Pasadena from August 1-5. It has been in the southeast corner of the basin near the dam and spillway.

-end transcript

Jon L Fisher

Glendale, CA

<JonF60...>

EVENTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS

For all events, field trips and announcements, please see our website at http://www.laaudubon.org

-=-=-
Group Owner: LACoBirds+<owner...>
Unsubscribe: https://groups.io/g/LACoBirds/unsub [<lists...>]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 8/7/20 3:33 pm
From: Jmn1992 via groups.io <Jmn1992=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: Re: [LACoBirds] Reddish Egret Continues
The reddish egret is still under the bridge as of 3:32pm
Jonathan NakaiRancho Palos Verdes
On Friday, August 7, 2020, 10:50 AM, Merryl Edelstein via groups.io <merryledel=<yahoo.com...> wrote:

main lagoon any 7:30
Merryl Edelstein
Long Beach

-=-=-

Date: 8/7/20 2:21 pm
From: Katz, Nurit <nkatz...>
Subject: Re: [LACoBirds] Red Phalarope at LA River in Encino
Forgot photos don’t go through on this list. Here’s the ebird list with photos in case helpful or if there are differing suggestions on ID: https://ebird.org/checklist/S72190991

Nurit

Date: 8/7/20 10:50 am
From: Merryl Edelstein via groups.io <merryledel=<yahoo.com...>
main lagoon any 7:30
Merryl Edelstein
Long Beach

-=-=-

Date: 8/7/20 9:00 am
From: Naresh Satyan <naresh.satyan...>
Subject: Re: [LACoBirds] Reddish Egret at Malibu Lagoon
Yes.

Naresh

--
Naresh Satyan
Pasadena CA

On Fri, Aug 7, 2020, 8:59 AM Thomas Miko <thomas_miko...> wrote:

> Is it still there today, Friday August 7?
>

> Thomas Geza Miko
> Claremont 91711
> 909.241.3300

-=-=-

Date: 8/6/20 11:11 am
From: Chris Dean via groups.io <chrisanndean=<yahoo.com...>
Hi,

There is a Reddish Egret at Malibu Lagoon.

Happy birding,
Chris Dean
Silver Lake

Listowners: mailto:<LACoBirds-owner...>
-=-=-

Date: 8/1/20 12:30 pm
From: Ron Cyger <ron...>
Subject: [LACoBirds] Zone-tailed Hawk over Monrovia
About 10:00 today, we had the Zone-tailed Hawk soaring on Alta Vista, above
Scenic. This looked like an adult, with a wide band near the tip of the
tail.

Stay safe,

Ron Cyger
Monrovia

-=-=-

Date: 7/31/20 7:52 pm
From: Thomas Miko <thomas_miko...>
Subject: [LACoBirds] Reddish Egret?
Hi, has anybody figured out a way to access that part of the LA River where somebody (not) me who also rides the train to work has been seeing and reporting a reddish egret? Where would you park and walk?
Tom

Thomas Geza Miko
Claremont 91711
909.241.3300

-=-=-

Date: 7/31/20 7:40 pm
From: Jon Fisher <JonF60...>
Subject: [LACoBirds] Los Angeles RBA- 31 July 2020
- RBA

* California

* Los Angeles RBA

* July 31 2020

* CALA2007.31

-Birds mentioned

Hooded Merganser

Black Swift

American Oystercatcher

Semipalmated Sandpiper

Neotropic Cormorant

Reddish Egret

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron

Northern Harrier

Zone-tailed Hawk

GRACE'S WARBLER

Summer Tanager

California Bird Records Committee (report rarities as appropriate on the rare bird report form): http://www.californiabirds.org/

Enter your bird sightings on eBird: http://ebird.org/content/ebird

Hotline: Los Angeles Rare Bird Alert

E-mail reports to: Jon Fisher at <JonF60...>

Coverage: Los Angeles County

-Transcript

This is the Los Angeles Rare Bird Alert for July 31.

A HOODED MERGANSER was on the wildlife lake at the Sepulveda Basin Wildlife Reserve on July 23.

Up to four BLACK SWIFTS were along the fire road above Claremont Wilderness Park through July 28. They are usually seen only late in the day, after 6:00PM.

An AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHER was at Royal Palms Beach in San Pedro on July 27.

SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPERS were along the Los Angeles River in Long Beach from July 25-27. An adult was seen above the Willow Street crossing on July 25 and one to two juveniles were between Willow and Wardlow from July 25-27.

Up to three NEOTROPIC CORMORANTS continued along the lower Los Angeles River south of the Willow Street crossing in Long Beach through July 30.

A REDDISH EGRET continued along the Los Angeles River near downtown Los Angeles through July 25 just below the 10 Freeway crossing.

At Sims Bio Pond Reserve in Long Beach, up to three YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT-HERONS were present through July 30.

Another YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON was along lower Ballona Creek (west of the Culver crossing) on July 26,

A NORTHERN HARRIER was at lower Zuma Canyon on July 25.

A ZONE-TAILED HAWK was over Altadena on July 28.

The GRACE'S WARBLER at Charlton Flat in the San Gabriel Mountains was still present as of July 24. From the entrance road take the first right and look for the bird around the first and second restrooms.

One SUMMER TANAGER continued at Pearblossom Park in the Antelope Valley through July 28.

Date: 7/29/20 7:02 am
From: Kim Moore via groups.io <kims.sight=<verizon.net...>
Subject: [LACoBirds] Solitary Sandpiper at Willow found by Jeff Boyd
Passing on info. Jeff Boyd just saw a Solitary Sandpiper at the pipe bridge (28th st) just north of Willow.

- Kim Moore
Long Beach

-=-=-

Date: 7/25/20 5:31 pm
From: <busyday...>
Subject: [LACoBirds] L.A.River action - Willow to Wardlow
Birders,
Sat 25 July
In addition to the adult Baird's Sandpiper and adult Semipalmated
Sandpiper found by Mark and Janet Scheel north of Willow St, Jeff Boyd
and I had a two more Semipalmated sightings... a juvenile near the
north pipe bridge and an adult about 250 yards south of the Wardlow
bridge. This adult SESA might be the same bird found earlier by the
Scheels at Willow---it had eventually flushed and disappeared from
that area. (Honorable mention in the Willow-Wardlow stretch: 2
Wilson's Phalaropes, a WF Ibis and three Lesser Yellowlegs.)
See my eBird submission: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S71820341
Richard BarthWest Hollywood

-=-=-

Date: 7/25/20 4:14 pm
From: Mary & Nick Freeman <mnfreeman...>
Subject: [LACoBirds] Refound 1 juvie semipalm at willow
Hi Birders!

Between 3:30 3:55pm, we refound 1 Juvie SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER foraging in the water around the vegetation above the second concrete wall just north of willow. There were a number of peeps loafing in this area. Perhaps they may come out to feed a little later. A BLACK SKIMMER was flying around and two SPOTTED SANDPIPER were also seen. 80 degrees and a little breezy.

Good birding!

Mary & Nick Freeman
Glendale CA

Date: 7/25/20 3:31 pm
From: Thomas Miko <thomas_miko...>
Subject: Re: [LACoBirds] Claremont black hooded (Nanday) parakeets
Tossed the dog into the house, grabbed the binoculars and realized that they were in fact the even more elusive blue crowned parakeets.
Tom Milo
Claremont

________________________________

Date: 7/25/20 7:03 am
From: Mark Scheel <scheel314...>
Subject: [LACoBirds] Bairds and semipalm at willow
Hi all,

We have an adult Baird's Sandpiper and an adult Semipalmated Sandpiper at
the LA River just north of Willow St. The Baird's is in the vegetation just
north of the northern concrete structures, and the Semipalmated is
somewhere with the peep flock in the same area (the flock keeps moving
around).

Good Birding,
Mark and Janet Scheel
Pasadena

-=-=-

Date: 7/24/20 3:41 pm
From: Jon Fisher <JonF60...>
Subject: [LACoBirds] Los Angeles RBA- 24 July 2020
- RBA

* California

* Los Angeles RBA

* July 24 2020

* CALA2007.24

-Birds mentioned

Spotted Dove

Black Swift

Glaucous-winged Gull

Neotropic Cormorant

Reddish Egret

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron

Summer Tanager

California Bird Records Committee (report rarities as appropriate on the rare bird report form): http://www.californiabirds.org/

Enter your bird sightings on eBird: http://ebird.org/content/ebird

Hotline: Los Angeles Rare Bird Alert

E-mail reports to: Jon Fisher at <JonF60...>

Coverage: Los Angeles County

-Transcript

This is the Los Angeles Rare Bird Alert for July 24.

Up to four SPOTTED DOVES continued through July 22 near the intersection of Compton Ave. and 89th Street in Los Angeles.

One or two BLACK SWIFTS were along the fire road above Claremont Wilderness Park through July 23. They are usually seen only late in the day, after 6:00PM.

Two GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULLS continued along the Los Angeles River in Maywood through July 23.

At least one of several NEOTROPIC CORMORANTS continued along the lower Los Angeles River south of the Willow Street crossing in Long Beach through July 22.

Another NEOTROPIC CORMORANT continued at the spreading basins below Hansen Dam in Lake View Terrace on July 20. The nearest intersection is Glenoaks Blvd. and Branford Street.

A REDDISH EGRET was seen along the Los Angeles River near downtown Los Angeles on July 22. It was just below the 10 Freeway crossing.

At Sims Bio Pond Reserve in Long Beach, a YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON continued through July 21.

A SUMMER TANAGER pair continued west of the ball field at Pearblossom Park in the Antelope Valley through July 21.

A male SUMMER TANAGER continued at Sycamore Flat Campground near Valyermo through July 17.

Date: 7/22/20 8:10 am
From: Thomas Miko <thomas_miko...>
Subject: [LACoBirds] (no rarities) It's Christmas in July
Hello,
For the past week or more I have been having normal Western migrants at Wheeler Park in Claremont and this morning the diversity has increased to where I have a yellow Warbler, Western tanager is that are different from the ones yesterday, to Western King birds flying overhead, etc.
Black-headed grosbeaks have been migrating for the last 10 days. Best bird this morning was a Say's Phoebe in the park which I have not seen here or anywhere within miles of my house in three or four months, so I'm calling her a fall migrant. I think of them as arriving in October, not July.
Tom (telecommuting at my dining room table)

Thomas Geza Miko
Claremont 91711
909.241.3300

-=-=-

Date: 7/17/20 6:58 pm
From: Jon Fisher <JonF60...>
Subject: [LACoBirds] Los Angeles RBA- 17 July 2020
- RBA

* California

* Los Angeles RBA

* July 17 2020

* CALA2007.17

-Birds mentioned

Spotted Dove

Common Ground Dove

Black Swift

Neotropic Cormorant

Summer Tanager

California Bird Records Committee (report rarities as appropriate on the rare bird report form): http://www.californiabirds.org/

Enter your bird sightings on eBird: http://ebird.org/content/ebird

Hotline: Los Angeles Rare Bird Alert

E-mail reports to: Jon Fisher at <JonF60...>

Coverage: Los Angeles County

-Transcript

This is the Los Angeles Rare Bird Alert for July 17.

Three SPOTTED DOVES, now quite rare locally, were seen briefly at the intersection of Compton Ave. and 89th Street in Los Angeles on July 13.

COMMON GROUND DOVES continue in Bellflower, with up to three reported through July 12. They have been seen along the north side of the golf course and are often visible by looking south from the Volutone parking lot.

Three BLACK SWIFTS were along the fire road above Claremont Wilderness Park on July 12.

At least two NEOTROPIC CORMORANTS continue along the lower Los Angeles River in Long Beach. They are being seen south of the Willow Street crossing, often near the end of Hill Street.

Another NEOTROPIC CORMORANT was at the spreading basins below Hansen Dam on July 12. The nearest intersection is Glenoaks Blvd. and Branford Street.

A SUMMER TANAGER pair continued west of the ball field at Pearblossom Park in the Antelope Valley through July 13.

Date: 7/16/20 12:56 pm
From: <busyday...>
Subject: [LACoBirds] Spotted Doves in South L.A.
Birders,
Thurs 16 July
Mid morning I had three Spotted Doves, two adults and an apparent
juvenile, along Compton Ave in South Los Angeles. The birds landed on
the roof of Mt. Rose Missionary Baptist Church between 89th and 90th
St. They stayed for about ten minutes before flying together into the
neighborhood to the east. I drove around a bit but was unable to
refind them. Photos in my eBird
submission.https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S71550856

Date: 7/15/20 3:06 pm
From: Ryan Terrill <Ornithoterrill...>
Subject: [LACoBirds] Bar-tailed False Alarm
Hey everyone-

Hate to have to eat crow, but I think I pulled the trigger too quickly on
this bird, now that I have better looks, I think it’s a super pale Marbled
Godwit. Sorry for the false alarm!

Ryan
--
Ryan S. Terrill

Postdoctoral Researcher
Moore Lab of Zoology
Occidental College
ryansterrill.com

-=-=-

Date: 7/15/20 2:47 pm
From: Ryan Terrill <Ornithoterrill...>
Subject: [LACoBirds] BAR-TAILED GODWIT — Malibu Lagoin
Hi everyone,

Right now there’s a BAR-TAILED GODWIT at Malibu Lagoon. It’s in the
Willet/Whimbrel/Brown-Pelican roost that’s just off the end of the looking
platform, at the end of the trail when you turn left 200m before you get to
the beach.

Good birding

Ryan terrill
--
Ryan S. Terrill

Postdoctoral Researcher
Moore Lab of Zoology
Occidental College
ryansterrill.com

-=-=-

Date: 7/11/20 3:39 pm
From: Jon Fisher <JonF60...>
Subject: [LACoBirds] Los Angeles RBA- 11 July 2020
- RBA

* California

* Los Angeles RBA

* July 11 2020

* CALA2007.11

-Birds mentioned

Common Ground Dove

Semipalmated Sandpiper

Glaucous-winged Gull

Neotropic Cormorant

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron

Summer Tanager

California Bird Records Committee (report rarities as appropriate on the rare bird report form): http://www.californiabirds.org/

Enter your bird sightings on eBird: http://ebird.org/content/ebird

Hotline: Los Angeles Rare Bird Alert

E-mail reports to: Jon Fisher at <JonF60...>

Coverage: Los Angeles County

-Transcript

This is the Los Angeles Rare Bird Alert for July 10.

COMMON GROUND DOVES continue in Bellflower, with one or two reported there through July 8. Up to three of these birds have been seen adjacent to the San Gabriel River and are visible by looking south from the Volutone parking lot.

A SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER was along the Los Angeles River south of the Rosecrans crossing in Long Beach on July 5.

Two GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULLS continued along the Los Angeles River in Maywood between the Atlantic and Slauson crossings through July 6.

Up to three NEOTROPIC CORMORANTS were seen below Willow Street along the Los Angeles River in Long Beach through July 10.

A YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON continued at Sims Bio Pond in Long Beach through July 6.

A male and female SUMMER TANAGER, with a second male likely present on July 7, continued west of the ball field at Pearblossom Park in the Antelope Valley.

Date: 7/9/20 10:05 am
From: Stan Walens <stan.walens...>
Subject: Re: [LACoBirds] No Sandwich/Cabot's Tern (yet) Thursday am
The photos are fuzzy and distant and overexposed. And I am not claiming any expertise as a tern identifier. But I don’t see why this is not a Forster’s tern. Wing pattern, face pattern, amount of crest, length of bill, all seem to me to be in the Forster’s range.

As for the pale tip to the bill, if you enlarge the photos you can see that the entire bill is outlined by a fuzzy pale halo. So I think the apparent pale tip is a photographic artifact.

I hope someone refinds the bird and proves me wrong.

Stan Walens, San Diego
July 9, 2020; 10:00 am

Date: 7/9/20 8:56 am
From: Thomas Miko <thomas_miko...>

Mark was there before I arrived, I spent close to 2 hours, and I'm leaving but Dessi will be there for a while. So far nothing.

Thomas Geza Miko
Claremont 91711
909.241.3300

-=-=-

Date: 7/9/20 4:48 am
From: Thomas Miko <thomas_miko...>
Subject: Re: [LACoBirds] Apparent dark-billed tern at Malibu Lagoon
Andy et al,
Why is this bird not a juvenile sandwich tern? Also, Sibley, at least on my iPad, shows juvenile sandwich tern is having an all black bill, or is that an error?
Tom Miko
909.241.3300
Claremont (for another half hour)

Date: 7/8/20 6:57 pm
[...]