StanislausBirds
Received From Subject
12/4/19 5:18 pm Garry Hayes <hayesg...> [StanislausBirds] Hooded Oriole on the Tuolumne River Parkway Trail
12/4/19 10:12 am Jimmy Gain <jimgain...> [StanislausBirds] CALW La Grange Waterford Christmas Bird Count Invitation
11/25/19 6:48 am Harold Reeve <birder...> [StanislausBirds] Barrow's Goldeneye and Pacific Golden Plover
11/14/19 1:54 pm Sal <bees2...> [StanislausBirds] Vermilion Flycatcher Continues

Back to top
Date: 12/4/19 5:18 pm
From: Garry Hayes <hayesg...>
Subject: [StanislausBirds] Hooded Oriole on the Tuolumne River Parkway Trail
I was very much surprised to see a male Hooded Oriole on the Tuolumne River Parkway Trail this morning. It had the unmistakable yellow breast, black throat, curved beak and black and white wings. I got a poor picture, posted at https://ebird.org/checklist/S61981330. The bird was perched on the bluff top on Riverside Drive towards the east end where the trail descends back to the river, above the easternmost pond of the water treatment pond. This sighting was only a few hundred feet from the palm trees where orioles nested last spring.

Garry Hayes

Back to top
Date: 12/4/19 10:12 am
From: Jimmy Gain <jimgain...>
Subject: [StanislausBirds] CALW La Grange Waterford Christmas Bird Count Invitation
DATE: Saturday, December 21, 2019

MEETING TIME/PLACE: We will meet for breakfast at the Fruit Yard 7948
Yosemite Boulevard (Hwy 132 x Geer Rd., east of Modesto) at 6:00 a.m. final
route information will be given out around 6:30.

MORE INFORMATION

Please visit the CBC
<https://www.stanislausbirds.org/events/cbc-la-grange-waterford> - La Grange
Waterford webpage for all the details.

Established in 1900, the Christmas Bird Count (CBC) is the longest running
community science survey in North America. Stanislaus and Merced County
birders of all levels are invited to participate in Stanislaus Audubon's
annual Christmas Bird Counts. Each count area will have at least one
experienced birder to help with identifying birds during the survey. These
counts not only gather vital survey data for National Audubon Society, but
they also present opportunities for birders to see dozens of species, and
hundreds of individual birds, in one day. Please consider joining us for
these enjoyable citizen science surveys.

WHAT TO EXPECT

WALKING/DRIVING: Most CBC count areas are a mixture of driving and walking
and may involve driving dirt roads. During really wet years or right after a
big storm, these may not be drive-able.

* Mostly Driving Areas: Area 1 Warnerville Rd and Area 5 Hawkins Rd
* Mostly Walking Areas: Area 2 Cooperstown Rd and Area 7 Modesto
Reservoir

RESTROOM ACCESS: Most do not have good restroom (RR) access so you will want
to think ahead about that access. Best RR spots would be at the Turlock Lake
Picnic Area (fee) or Modesto Reservoir (fee) or back in Waterford.

I'M NOT AN EXPERT BIRDER - IS THAT OK? The CBC welcomes birders of all ages
and experience levels. Even if you know nothing about birds, if you can see
movement or hear a bird making noise you can be an excellent spotter. The
CBC also appreciates non-birders who are willing to drive back-seat birders
or keep a tally of observations.

IS THIS A GOOD EVENT FOR CHILDREN? Though we would love to have participants
of all ages on the CBC, the field count option is not the best fit for
children. We strongly encourage families to come out to the community field
trips that are co-hosted with the Yokuts chapter of the Sierra Club.

WHAT SHOULD I BRING ON THE DAY OF THE COUNT? Dress for the weather!
Surveyors will go out, rain, shine or snow. Layers are strongly encouraged
with a waterproof jacket and/or pants. Warm hats, socks and gloves are a
must. Some areas require more walking, others more driving, so please wear
appropriate footwear. Fluids, snacks and a sack lunch are also important.
Binoculars will not be provided, so please bring your own.

CBC COUNTDOWN DINNER: Once the count is complete, volunteers can gather with
other leaders and counters at the CBC Countdown Dinner to listen to the
preliminary species results over a bowl of warm chili. The Countdown Dinner
will take place at the home of Dave and Sharon Froba. Your area leader will
have the directions.

Jim Gain

Modesto

Back to top
Date: 11/25/19 6:48 am
From: Harold Reeve <birder...>
Subject: [StanislausBirds] Barrow's Goldeneye and Pacific Golden Plover
Today on a survey at the Modesto WTP I found an adult male Barrow's Goldeneye with 190 Common Goldeneye on facultative pond #2. Also, there was a Pacific Golden-Plover with the Black-bellied Plover flock. This is the first for each species at this location since early in 2017, nearly three years ago. Times have changed since the days when Pacific Golden-Plover was regular in winter at the Modesto WTP. There were also at least seven Semipalmated Plovers present, this following them being present there for much of last winter.
The next public day for access to the Modesto WTP is the second Saturday of December.
Harold ReeveModesto

Back to top
Date: 11/14/19 1:54 pm
From: Sal <bees2...>
Subject: [StanislausBirds] Vermilion Flycatcher Continues
Earlier in the day, I joined seven members of Central Sierra Audubon Society earlier in the La Grange area before they went on to the Merced N.W.R. The best bird at Joe Domecq Wilderness Area was a soaring Ferruginous Hawk, my first of the season.  At 11:45 a.m., we went to the north end of Dawson Lake and eventually saw the male VERMILION FLYCATCHER that has apparently returned for a third winter.  When we left, the flycatcher was low on the oak with the thick trunk, across the dried-up portion of the lake.
Sal Salerno, Modesto