SouthBayBirds
Received From Subject
6/22/24 3:49 pm Dori via groups.io <Dorienne777...> Re: [southbaybirds] Penitencia Creek Park
6/22/24 1:45 pm Aidan Sinha via groups.io <aidansinha...> [southbaybirds] Bubb Road Pond and McClellan Ranch 6/22/24
6/22/24 1:27 pm Dori via groups.io <Dorienne777...> [southbaybirds] Penitencia Creek Park
6/22/24 12:44 pm Ryan L. via groups.io <ryanbirding...> [southbaybirds] SCV Water District 6/22
6/21/24 2:51 pm Dave Weber via groups.io <dwbirdster...> [southbaybirds] Avocet at Ed Levin CP, June 21
6/21/24 7:35 am Edward Reed via groups.io <ed.reed3...> [southbaybirds] Continuing - Yellow Breasted Chat
6/20/24 11:14 pm Jim Dehnert via groups.io <dehnert...> Re: [southbaybirds] Palo Alto Airport
6/20/24 6:56 pm Matthew Dodder via groups.io <mdodder...> [southbaybirds] Palo Alto Airport
6/20/24 6:34 pm connor.r.christensen via groups.io <connor.r.christensen...> [southbaybirds] Black-chinned Hummingbird South of Los Gatos Creek Trail, St. Elizabeth Dr. Entrance
6/20/24 5:01 pm Susan Tenney via groups.io <satenney...> [southbaybirds] SCVAS Field Trip to Pearson-Arastradero, June 20, 2024
6/20/24 3:21 pm Bob Reiling via groups.io <rreiling2...> [southbaybirds] Continuing Yellow-breasted Chat
6/19/24 2:43 pm Eve Meier via groups.io <eve.m.meier...> [southbaybirds] SCVAS trip to Rancho Cañada del Oro
6/19/24 8:30 am Carter Gasiorowski via groups.io <carter.gasiorowski...> [southbaybirds] John Nicholas Trail
6/18/24 9:52 pm Matthew Dodder via groups.io <mdodder...> [southbaybirds] Eared Grebes and foot traffic
6/18/24 12:42 pm Matthew Dodder via groups.io <mdodder...> [southbaybirds] Black-chinned Hummingbirds
6/17/24 7:34 pm Peggy Don via groups.io <pebi01...> Re: [southbaybirds] Common Loon in Pond off Bibb Road in Cupertino
6/17/24 4:58 pm John Harshman via groups.io <john.harshman...> [southbaybirds] Los Alamitos Creek Trail, 6/17
6/17/24 3:55 pm Peggy Don via groups.io <pebi01...> [southbaybirds] Common Loon in Pond off Bibb Road in Cupertino
6/17/24 2:15 pm Garrett Lau via groups.io <Garrett.Lau...> [southbaybirds] Common Loon in Bubb Road Pond
6/16/24 12:12 pm Eve Meier via groups.io <eve.m.meier...> [southbaybirds] Crittenden Marsh, Salt Ponds, and Charleston Slough
6/15/24 11:08 am Kirsten Holmquist via groups.io <kirsten.holmquist...> [southbaybirds] Avocet baby drama at Casey Forebay
6/14/24 12:30 pm Juliana Manoliu via groups.io <manojuli...> [southbaybirds] My lucky blue grosbeak day
6/13/24 3:30 pm Deanne Tucker via groups.io <dtucker...> [southbaybirds] Blue Grosbeak at Levin Park this morning
6/12/24 3:41 pm Bob Reiling via groups.io <rreiling2...> [southbaybirds] Blue Grosbeak but no Vermillion Flycatcher or Lawrence's Goldfinch
6/9/24 9:15 pm Melanie Barnett via groups.io <mjb2024...> [southbaybirds] Black Oystercatcher at Shoreline Lake today
6/8/24 3:38 pm janna pauser via groups.io <jannapauser...> [southbaybirds] Grant Ranch Co. Park
6/8/24 8:55 am Kirsten Holmquist via groups.io <kirsten.holmquist...> [southbaybirds] Loon on A1
6/6/24 10:52 pm Robin via groups.io <robinchen2k...> [southbaybirds] SCVAS McClellan Ranch Preserve beginner bird outing 6/6/24
6/4/24 12:47 pm Ken Mamitsuka via groups.io <ficusyou...> Re: [southbaybirds] Blue Grosbeaks at Ed Levin June 4
6/4/24 11:49 am Dave Weber via groups.io <dwbirdster...> [southbaybirds] Blue Grosbeaks at Ed Levin June 4
6/3/24 6:49 pm Edward Reed via groups.io <ed.reed3...> [southbaybirds] Blue Grosbeak re-found at Ed Levin
6/2/24 1:39 pm Howard Friedman via groups.io <howardnfriedman...> Re: [southbaybirds] Ed Levin 06-02024
6/2/24 12:47 pm Matthew Dodder via groups.io <mdodder...> [southbaybirds] Ed Levin 06-02024
6/1/24 6:09 pm Matthew Dodder via groups.io <mdodder...> Re: [southbaybirds] Sunny Mountain Trail, etc.
6/1/24 5:28 pm Matthew Dodder via groups.io <mdodder...> [southbaybirds] Sunny Mountain Trail, etc.
6/1/24 10:07 am Joe Heinlein via groups.io <Jgheinlein...> Re: [southbaybirds] Blue grosbeaks
6/1/24 5:30 am Group Notification <noreply...> [southbaybirds] South Bay Birds Monthly Reminder #guidelines-notice
5/30/24 7:58 pm Edward Reed via groups.io <ed.reed3...> [southbaybirds] Black headed Grosbeaks at Alum Rock County Park
5/30/24 1:20 pm janna pauser via groups.io <jannapauser...> [southbaybirds] Calero Creek trail and recent birds
5/28/24 9:51 pm Curt Bianchi via groups.io <curt...> [southbaybirds] Wood Ducks at Picchetti Ranch
5/28/24 12:26 pm Amanda Newlove via groups.io <amandanewlove...> [southbaybirds] Escaped pet? Rancho Canada Del Oro
5/28/24 10:20 am David Zittin via groups.io <dzittin...> [southbaybirds] SCVAS field trip, Sanborn County Park on 5/27/24
5/27/24 1:04 pm Mary Ann Robertson via groups.io <marobertsonca...> Re: [southbaybirds] Black Swifts
5/27/24 1:00 pm Carter Gasiorowski via groups.io <carter.gasiorowski...> [southbaybirds] Black Swifts
5/26/24 3:53 pm Aidan Sinha via groups.io <aidansinha...> [southbaybirds] Loma Prieta area 5/26/24
5/26/24 2:42 pm Luca de Alfaro via groups.io <luucaa...> Re: [southbaybirds] Lazuli Buntings at Joseph Grant
5/26/24 2:36 pm Luca de Alfaro via groups.io <luucaa...> [southbaybirds] Lazuli Buntings at Joseph Grant
5/26/24 11:57 am Ann Hepenstal via groups.io <annhep...> [southbaybirds] May 25th field trip to Joseph D. Grant County Park
5/26/24 9:57 am Chris Overington via groups.io <chris.overington...> [southbaybirds] Blue grosbeaks
5/26/24 9:35 am Mike Rogers via groups.io <Michael.M.Rogers...> [southbaybirds] Brandt’s Cormorant
5/25/24 3:32 pm Matthew Dodder via groups.io <mdodder...> [southbaybirds] Blue Grosbeaks at Ed Levin
5/25/24 2:32 pm Dori via groups.io <Dorienne777...> [southbaybirds] Nola’s Iris Garden
5/25/24 1:33 pm Bob Reiling via groups.io <rreiling2...> [southbaybirds] Continuing Black Oystercatcher

Back to top
Date: 6/22/24 3:49 pm
From: Dori via groups.io <Dorienne777...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] Penitencia Creek Park
My EBird checklist:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S182904797
> On Jun 22, 2024, at 1:27 PM, Dori via groups.io <Dorienne777...> wrote:
>
> The WESTERN KINGBIRDS are back at Penitencia Creek Park. This is the second year in a row that I have found them hanging out there in three smallish Sycamore trees about 100 feet north of the Penitencia Creek Road parking lot on the right side of the path. There were at least five of them. I also spotted one on the other side of the pond. I did not have my good camera so excuse the iPhone pic.
> Also of interest were two hooded orioles in different spots, lots of wheeling and diving violet-green sparrows, a red-shouldered hawk, chestnut backed chickadees, a white-breasted nuthatch and others.
> Happy birding!
> Dori
>

> <image0.jpeg>

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28311): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28311
-=-=-
South Bay Birds is maintained by the Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society (https://scvas.org) and its volunteers.
Our website, https://scvas.org/siliconvalleybirding, contains content guidelines, the SBB code of conduct, and additional information.

Do not disclose information that identifies the location of nesting birds of any species, to minimize stress on the nesting birds and the risk of vandalism or abuse.

Birding events in and near Santa Clara County: https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds-events/ .
Discussions: Facebook group Santa Clara County Birding (https://www.facebook.com/groups/110996713065201/) and a Discord Server (https://discord.gg/NteQSY3Tn8).
SCVAS self-guided field trips, maps and descriptions: https://scvas.org/self-guided-field-trips
SCVAS Salt Pond Map: https://scvas.org/salt-ponds-of-santa-clara-county
-=-=-
Group Owner: southbaybirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 6/22/24 1:45 pm
From: Aidan Sinha via groups.io <aidansinha...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Bubb Road Pond and McClellan Ranch 6/22/24
Hi all,
Today, I visited the pond on Bubb Road to search for the recently reported Common Loon. I quickly found the bird swimming and diving in the southern part of the pond, although it later moved to the north end. I noticed that during some of its dives, the bird seemed to get some aquatic vegetation stuck in its bill. Also of interest were a total of 7 Killdeer, including one small juvenile.
After that, I stopped by the McClellan Ranch feeders. One of my targets was the Pygmy Nuthatches here, and I was able to find a single bird at the feeders with the other finches, chickadees, and various songbirds. I did not see the Western Screech-Owl in its usual place, however, or the Black-chinned Hummingbirds.

eBird lists: https://ebird.org/checklist/S183125752 (Bubb Road Pond) and https://ebird.org/checklist/S183130481 (McClellan Ranch)

Aidan Sinha
San Jose

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28310): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28310
-=-=-

Date: 6/22/24 1:27 pm
From: Dori via groups.io <Dorienne777...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Penitencia Creek Park
The WESTERN KINGBIRDS are back at Penitencia Creek Park. This is the second year in a row that I have found them hanging out there in three smallish Sycamore trees about 100 feet north of the Penitencia Creek Road parking lot on the right side of the path. There were at least five of them. I also spotted one on the other side of the pond. I did not have my good camera so excuse the iPhone pic.
Also of interest were two hooded orioles in different spots, lots of wheeling and diving violet-green sparrows, a red-shouldered hawk, chestnut backed chickadees, a white-breasted nuthatch and others.
Happy birding!
Dori

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28309): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28309
-=-=-

Date: 6/22/24 12:44 pm
From: Ryan L. via groups.io <ryanbirding...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] SCV Water District 6/22

Back to top
Date: 6/21/24 2:51 pm
From: Dave Weber via groups.io <dwbirdster...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Avocet at Ed Levin CP, June 21
This morning, there was an American Avocet at Sandy Wool Lake in Ed Levin CP. It's rare in the park, but won't appear on an Ebird alert. Only three previous Ebird records for the park, two are questionable, all are vague. One is a 2013 10-hour historical list with 100 Avocets. One is a 1994 historical list with 40 Avocets, 500 Western Gulls, 500 Herring Gulls, etc. Third record is for an unknown number of Avocets in 2017.Dave Weber,Milpitasby phone

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28307): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28307
-=-=-

Date: 6/21/24 7:35 am
From: Edward Reed via groups.io <ed.reed3...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Continuing - Yellow Breasted Chat
Guadalupe River Park.  7AM.   The Chat continues “chattering”.  7:40amSouth of concrete bridge in willow with bare branches.
Crossed bridge, went south for better light and view of yellow breast.
(37.3440692, -121.9033651)

Sent from AT&T Yahoo Mail for iPhone

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28306): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28306
-=-=-

Date: 6/20/24 11:14 pm
From: Jim Dehnert via groups.io <dehnert...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] Palo Alto Airport
Thanks, Matthew!

On Thu, Jun 20, 2024, 19:56 Matthew Dodder via groups.io <mdodder=
<sbcglobal.net...> wrote:

> [...]
> hand is particularly important because it concerns a major project at one
> of our most beloved birding spots—the Palo Alto Baylands and the adjacent
> lagoon and duck pond. Some of you might well be attending the meeting this
> evening regarding the 5 options for this project and I thank those of you
> who could make it. We are deeply grateful for your support!
>
> *Now is the time* for the rest of us to make our voices heard and stand
> up for the habitat that might be affected by this project. I am including
> relevant portions of earlier Shani’s Action Alert below:
>
> *What is happening?*
> The City of Palo Alto is working on a *Long-Range Facilities and
> Sustainability Plan
> <https://cts.vresp.com/c/?SantaClaraValleyAudu/fe70b81dc4/d62b2564ae/cfadbcff49>* for
> the Palo Alto Airport. This plan will look into potential expansion of
> runways and intensification of operations in the next 20 years at the Palo
> Alto Airport.
>
> *Why is it important?*
> The Palo Alto Airport is adjacent to the wetlands of the Palo Alto
> Baylands, the duck pond, Byxbee park and San Francisquito Creek - places
> that serve millions of migratory birds and the people who love them. Some
> of the locations that are considered for expansion would take away the duck
> pond, wetlands, and potentially move levees to protect the airport from Sea
> Level Rise.
>
> Airport expansion, changes in runway location and levees, increase in
> number of flights and ongoing use of leaded fuel have an impact on birds
> and birders.
>
> *What you can do?*
> Review the 5 proposals and cast your vote for the one you believe is best
> for our birds and local bird habitat.
>
> [image:
> CityofPaloAlto_Horiz_Logo_Color-7766b57a-1bc4-463c-be59-6f9e5292c28b.png]
>
> Open Town Hall
> <https://communityfeedback.opengov.com/portals/paloalto/Issue_13892>
> communityfeedback.opengov.com
> <https://communityfeedback.opengov.com/portals/paloalto/Issue_13892>
> <https://communityfeedback.opengov.com/portals/paloalto/Issue_13892>
>

> Thank you all for your concern and your efforts to promote the
> preservation of our birds and their habitat. Cast your vote to protect our
> birds and preserve the habitat that remains.
>
> Over and out,
> Matthew
>

> *Matthew Dodder (he/him)*
> Executive Director
> Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society
> 22221 McClellan Rd.
> <https://www.google.com/maps/search/22221+McClellan+Rd.+Cupertino,+CA+95014?entry=gmail&source=g>
> Cupertino, CA 95014
> <https://www.google.com/maps/search/22221+McClellan+Rd.+Cupertino,+CA+95014?entry=gmail&source=g>
> 408-252-3748
> <director...>
> scvas.org
>

> [image: SCVAS_logo_Vertical_A2_email3.gif]

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28305): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28305
-=-=-

Date: 6/20/24 6:56 pm
From: Matthew Dodder via groups.io <mdodder...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Palo Alto Airport
[...]

View/Reply Online (#28304): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28304
-=-=-

Date: 6/20/24 6:34 pm
From: connor.r.christensen via groups.io <connor.r.christensen...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Black-chinned Hummingbird South of Los Gatos Creek Trail, St. Elizabeth Dr. Entrance
Greetings,

Last month I spotted a male Black-chinned Hummingbird on the Los Gatos Creek Trail but was unable to get a picture so I returned today in search of the bird. I quickly found the hummingbird just south of the St. Elizabeth Dr. Entrance perched in the same tree as before. He left but returned to this same tree to perch multiple times. This tree was located just a few hundred feet south of the entrance. Heading south from the entrance there is a dirt path to the left of the paved path. At the south point where the dirt trail and paved path rejoin, there is a tree on the West side of the dirt trail that has leaves on its left half but is bare on the right. The Black-chinned Hummingbird liked to perch in the bare parts of the tree. If you walk past mile marker 2.75 you have gone too far. The tree and the paths rejoining are just north of the 2.75 Los Gatos Creek Trail mile marker. I know we have had Black-chinned Hummingbirds at the Mclellan Ranch, but they have evaded me during my visits so I was glad to be able to find the little gem along the Los Gatos Creek.

Happy Birding!
Connor Christensen

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28303): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28303
-=-=-

Date: 6/20/24 5:01 pm
From: Susan Tenney via groups.io <satenney...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] SCVAS Field Trip to Pearson-Arastradero, June 20, 2024
HI everyone,

On this sunny, not-too-hot morning, Dan Bloch and I led a group of nine other birders to Pearson-Arastradero Preserve in Palo Alto. It was a pretty good day for raptors, with two *Cooper's Hawks* ; several *White-tailed Kites* ; many *Red-shouldered Hawks* heard, and one finally seen; and several *Red-tailed Hawks* observed on our route through the trails south of Arastradero Road. When we returned to the parking lot, we were delighted to see FIVE *American Kestrels* patrolling the adjacent hillside! Other highlights were a female *Lazuli Bunting* ; *Blue-gray Gnatcatchers* ; and several *Ash-Throated Flycatchers*.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S182757258

Happy birding!
Susan

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28302): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28302
-=-=-

Date: 6/20/24 3:21 pm
From: Bob Reiling via groups.io <rreiling2...>
All,

This morning in Guadalupe River Park had the good fortune to run into Mike Beggs who led me to a small concrete bridge over a dry channel from where the YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT had been found 200+ feet to the southeast. This morning the bird was often heard singing from about 8 AM until 8:36 AM after which it was no longer heard for some time and I left). Unlike me, Mike did manage to get a quick view of the bird.

To locate the concrete bridge walk the trail nearest the river (Coleman Ave should be closest).

Take care,

Bob Reiling

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28301): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28301
-=-=-

Date: 6/19/24 2:43 pm
From: Eve Meier via groups.io <eve.m.meier...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] SCVAS trip to Rancho Cañada del Oro
Hi Everyone!

Today, Edward Rooks and I led a field trip to Rancho Cañada del Oro. This
is my favorite location for *Western Wood Pewees* and we all saw several of
them plus learned their calls. For the other flycatchers we had a brief
view of an *Olive-sided Flycatcher*, heard only *Western Flycatchers* plus
one abandoned nest, great views of several *Ash-throated Flycatchers* and
several pairs of *Black Phoebe* including one Black Phoebe nest. Other fun
sightings were 3 pairs of *House Wren* busy delivering food or removing
fecal sacs from their nest cavities in the Western Sycamores, recently
fledged *California Scrub-Jays*, a family of 3-4 *Hairy Woodpeckers*, *Cassin's
Vireo* and *Purple Finch*.

ebird: https://ebird.org/checklist/S182489159

Happy birding!
Eve Meier (San Jose)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28300): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28300
-=-=-

Date: 6/19/24 8:30 am
From: Carter Gasiorowski via groups.io <carter.gasiorowski...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] John Nicholas Trail
Last Sunday, 6-15-24, some family and I walked the John Nicholas Trail from Black Rd. to Lake Ranch Reservoir starting around 8:30 am. This report is a bit late, but I assume most of the birds are still around. We had:

(5) Cassin’s Vireos, all singing, only one seen
(2) Western Wood-Pewees singing at the dam
(2) Pacific Wrens, one singing along Black Rd. just before the trailhead and one at the first culvert where water drains under the trail
(2) Pygmy Nuthatches, very high in the trees above the second culvert
(8) American Coots, a family of brand new chicks with bright red heads
(5) Black-headed Grosbeaks, including one feeding young
(6) Warbling Vireo
(4) Wilson’s Warbler
(1) Sharp-shinned Hawk, flyover

eBird list: https://ebird.org/checklist/S181658839

Happy Birding!
Carter

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28299): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28299
-=-=-

Date: 6/18/24 9:52 pm
From: Matthew Dodder via groups.io <mdodder...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Eared Grebes and foot traffic
I have received word that the Eared Grebes at Crittenden Marsh are attracting an increased number of folks wishing to get better views and/or photos. In the quest for better or closer views of these uncommon breeders there has been a lot of foot traffic in the marsh resulting in significant habitat destruction. This is seriously upsetting and needs to stop immediately. Responsible birders and photographers do NOT step off the trail! Please report continued misbehavior to me directly. Details of violators should be sent to me privately. We are watching.

Matthew Dodder

Executive Director
Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society
<director...>

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28298): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28298
-=-=-

Date: 6/18/24 12:42 pm
From: Matthew Dodder via groups.io <mdodder...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Black-chinned Hummingbirds
After a few days in the Sierra, co-leading a trip to Yuba Pass and Sierra Valley, I’m back at the Ranch. The BLACK-CHINNED HUMMINGBIRDS are still visiting the monkey flower beside the main parking lot and photographers appear daily. Sadly, the nest has not produced young. My theory is that the eggs were infertile and did not hatch (just a theory). Despite checking every other day for several weeks, no chicks were ever seen and the female abandoned her nest. I also saw no sign of predation as I did last year. Anyway, both male and female remain on the preserve so there’s hope for the future. While it may be too late for the female to build a new nest, the species apparently did just that during the atlas period along Los Gatos Creek. We will continue to watch.

Reminder
SPEAKER SERIES (tomorrow night!)
7:00 PM, Wednesday, June 19 (via zoom)

https://ticketbud.com/events/bb55b52a-193c-11ef-bbd2-42010a71702d
SCVAS Speaker Series: Jessica Burton | Buy Tickets | Ticketbud
ticketbud.com

Matthew Dodder (he/him)
Executive Director
Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society
22221 McClellan Rd.
Cupertino, CA 95014
408-252-3748
<director...>
scvas.org

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28297): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28297
-=-=-

Date: 6/17/24 7:34 pm
From: Peggy Don via groups.io <pebi01...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] Common Loon in Pond off Bibb Road in Cupertino
Sorry for typo. Should be Bubb Rd.

> On Jun 17, 2024, at 3:54 PM, Peggy Don <pebi01...> wrote:
>
> All,
>
> Last evening I was biking and decided to stop by the pond. This time of year I didn’t expect to see anything on the pond except perhaps a Mallard. I biked toward the pond and immediately saw the COMMON LOON which was facing me. WOW. Because of the lighting the bill looked yellow. Yellow-billed Loon, I thought. Under different lighting I could see the bill was a light gray. The plumage shows that it is a 1st summer bird. (Thanks, Steve.). It was diving frequently but later when I returned with my camera it sat on the surface for a while for photos.
>
> Peggy Don

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28296): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28296
-=-=-

Date: 6/17/24 4:58 pm
From: John Harshman via groups.io <john.harshman...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Los Alamitos Creek Trail, 6/17
A little late afternoon walk was surprisingly birdy. Highlights: a female *common merganser* with a brood of five, a *red-shouldered hawk* carrying an unfortunate squirrel, many *violet-green* *swallows* and *Vaux's swifts* foraging over the chapparal, a pair of *ash-throated flycatchers*. Also seen or heard: mallard, California quail, band-tailed pigeon, mourning dove, Anna's hummingbird, snowy egret, turkey vultures, red-tailed hawk, acorn woodpeckers, northern flicker, black phoebe, warbling vireo, Northern ravens, European starling, California thrasher, western bluebirds, Bewick's wrens, wrentit, song sparrow, great-tailed grackles, house finch, lesser goldfinch.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28295): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28295
-=-=-

Date: 6/17/24 3:55 pm
From: Peggy Don via groups.io <pebi01...>
All,

Last evening I was biking and decided to stop by the pond. This time of year I didn’t expect to see anything on the pond except perhaps a Mallard. I biked toward the pond and immediately saw the COMMON LOON which was facing me. WOW. Because of the lighting the bill looked yellow. Yellow-billed Loon, I thought. Under different lighting I could see the bill was a light gray. The plumage shows that it is a 1st summer bird. (Thanks, Steve.). It was diving frequently but later when I returned with my camera it sat on the surface for a while for photos.

Peggy Don

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28294): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28294
-=-=-

Date: 6/17/24 2:15 pm
From: Garrett Lau via groups.io <Garrett.Lau...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Common Loon in Bubb Road Pond
A Common Loon is in the Bubb Road pond in Cupertino. It was also here last
night.

Garrett Lau

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28293): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28293
-=-=-

Date: 6/16/24 12:12 pm
From: Eve Meier via groups.io <eve.m.meier...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Crittenden Marsh, Salt Ponds, and Charleston Slough
Hi Everyone,

This morning I rode my bike around Crittenden Marsh, a variety of Salt Ponds, then over to Charleston Slough. The most interesting sightings for me were the Eared Grebes in breeding plumage with young chicks on their backs in Crittenden Marsh. The best viewing is along Moffet Trail on the north side of the marsh. I also enjoyed the nesting Double-crested Cormorants on the power towers and the Forster’s Terns with chicks on the small island on pond AB1. The Bonaparte’s Gulls reported earlier by Kirsten H continued in Charleston Slough. Seeing them with almost black hoods was a special treat. I had only seen them in non-breeding plumage.

Here’s a map of the salt ponds for reference: https://scvas.org/salt-ponds-of-santa-clara-county

Happy birding!
Eve Meier (San Jose)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28292): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28292
-=-=-

Date: 6/15/24 11:08 am
From: Kirsten Holmquist via groups.io <kirsten.holmquist...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Avocet baby drama at Casey Forebay

Back to top
Date: 6/14/24 12:30 pm
From: Juliana Manoliu via groups.io <manojuli...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] My lucky blue grosbeak day
I got to the dog park parking area at Ed Levin County Park just after 8
AM on 6-14-24. Walked no more than 100 yards on the Tularcitos trail
connector and found a male */Blue Grosbeak/* singing for a good 4
minutes at the top of a tree inside the dog enclosure. Then it departed
toward the hills and I could still hear it, but it wasn't very close.

To add to my luck, Curtner school opened their school site just for
today and great views of the recently fledged */Bald eaglets /*were had
by a good 30 photographers. And mama showed up with a fish! When school
is in session the fenced in grounds are not accessible. Summer school
starts on Monday, so everything will be locked up again.

Juliana Manoliu

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28290): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28290
-=-=-

Date: 6/13/24 3:30 pm
From: Deanne Tucker via groups.io <dtucker...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Blue Grosbeak at Levin Park this morning
I was able to get great views and photos of the Blue Grosbeak from the meadow bordering the Agua Caliente Trail, just below the hang glider launch hill. It then flew up the hill and later over to the white water tank and beyond to it's roost in the oak trees. Photos at https://ebird.org/checklist/S181250491.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28289): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28289
-=-=-

Date: 6/12/24 3:41 pm
From: Bob Reiling via groups.io <rreiling2...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Blue Grosbeak but no Vermillion Flycatcher or Lawrence's Goldfinch
All,
This morning (6/12) I did a loop of Joseph D. Grant Park from the parking lot along the Barn Trail then back to the Ranch House/parking lot along the Hotel Trail. Best bird was a calling Blue Grosbeak about halfway along the Hotel Trail. No sign of either the Vermillion Flycatcher or of Lawrence's Goldfinches. I should note that they have turned off both water sources used by the birds near the Ranch House, Why? Most of the streams are also drying out.
Take care,
Bob Reiling

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28288): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28288
-=-=-

Date: 6/9/24 9:15 pm
From: Melanie Barnett via groups.io <mjb2024...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Black Oystercatcher at Shoreline Lake today
Hello,

I saw the Black Oystercatcher late afternoon today at Shoreline Lake.
(I'm posting because I'm unsure if it has been seen recently.)

I saw it from the north side of the lake over the course of 20 to 30 minutes. It was mostly on top of the island, where it was sometimes obscured by the wood strips. I saw it near the water once, on the west side of the island, then it later flew north toward Pond A1.

Was hoping to see the Black Tern but couldn't find it...

https://ebird.org/checklist/S180520948

Happy birding!

Melanie Barnett

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28287): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28287
-=-=-

Date: 6/8/24 3:38 pm
From: janna pauser via groups.io <jannapauser...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Grant Ranch Co. Park
I delayed birding Grant Ranch this spring hoping to see nesting Lark
Sparrows like last year but I found none today. The Ranch House area was
quiet and I didn't attempt the Hotel trail. I found my best birds along
the road and near the lake but didn't check the lake thoroughly. The
main reason for my post was the nesting GREAT BLUE HERONS on the island.
I saw two nests, one quite hidden but and adult flew in a much squawking
and flapping of wings was observed. The other island nest was in the
open and easily found by the amount of white wash. I was thrilled to see
the Vermilion Flycatcher near the wishing well.

Birds of interest were,
Great Blue Herons 2 nests, 3 chicks on one nest fuzzy photo
Coopers Hawk
Caspian Tern 1
White throated Swift
Downy Woodpecker 2
Western Wood Pewee 2 h
Western Flycatcher 5 h
Vermilion Flycatcher photos
Ash throated Flycatchers 3 locations
Western Kingbird 1 pair at nest
Hutton's Vireo 1 h
Tree, Violet-green, Barn and Nor. Rough winged Swallows
White breasted Nuthatch 3 locations
House Wren many locations
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 2 pair and 2 single
Western Bluebird many locations
Wrentit family group
Cal. Thrasher 1
Orange crowned Warbler 2
Black headed Grosbeak 1 h
Lazuli Bunting 3 seen inc. 2 females, 5 more h
Hooded Oriole 1 h
Bullocks Oriole 4 pair, 2 nests
Purple Finch 2 singing

Janna Pauser
San Jose

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28286): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28286
-=-=-

Date: 6/8/24 8:55 am
From: Kirsten Holmquist via groups.io <kirsten.holmquist...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Loon on A1
COMMON LOON on A1, just behind Shoreline Lake. Diving a lot so I spent
minutes at a time looking at seemingly empty water. Enjoy, Kirsten
Holmquist _._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#28285) | Reply To Sender | Reply To Group | Mute
This Topic | New Topic

South Bay Birds is maintained by the Santa Clara Valley Audubon
Society (https://scvas.org) and its volunteers.
Our website, https://scvas.org/siliconvalleybirding, contains content
guidelines, the SBB code of conduct, and additional information.

Do not disclose information that identifies the location of nesting
birds of any species, to minimize stress on the nesting birds and the
risk of vandalism or abuse.

Birding events in and near Santa Clara County:
https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds-events/ .
Discussions: Facebook group Santa Clara County Birding (https://www.facebook.com/groups/110996713065201/)
and a Discord Server (https://discord.gg/NteQSY3Tn8).
SCVAS self-guided field trips, maps and descriptions:
https://scvas.org/self-guided-field-trips
SCVAS Salt Pond Map:
https://scvas.org/salt-ponds-of-santa-clara-county

[<lists...>]
_._,_._,_

Back to top
Date: 6/6/24 10:52 pm
From: Robin via groups.io <robinchen2k...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] SCVAS McClellan Ranch Preserve beginner bird outing 6/6/24
Mary Ann and I led a beginner bird walk this morning at McClellan Ranch. We started out at the feeders, where we saw chestnut-backed chickadees, oak titmice, white-breasted and pygmy nuthatches, lesser goldfinches, and house finches. On the ground, we spotted a song sparrow, a dark-eyed junco, and California ground squirrels. We also got to see Anna's hummingbirds around the flowers!

We headed over to the barn, where we saw the snoozing Western screech owl. As we walked toward the lawn area, we heard more birds than we saw - notably, the Western flycatcher, brown creeper, and Bewick's wren. There was also an oriole flyover but it was too fast for us to ID it properly.

After everyone left, I heard a red-shouldered hawk loudly calling in the parking lot. One of the ranch workers had just found a dropped gopher snake and was about to release it - maybe the hawk was mad about losing its lunch?

You can see the full list of species at eBird ( https://ebird.org/checklist/S179842979 ) (thank you to Mary Ann for keeping track).

Interested in more bird walks? Visit the SCVAS website ( https://scvas.org/fieldtrips ) for field trips and other information!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28284): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28284
-=-=-

Date: 6/4/24 12:47 pm
From: Ken Mamitsuka via groups.io <ficusyou...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] Blue Grosbeaks at Ed Levin June 4

Back to top
Date: 6/4/24 11:49 am
From: Dave Weber via groups.io <dwbirdster...>
Several birders hiked the Tularcitos and Agua Caliente trails this morning searching for the Blue Grosbeaks. While standing at the hang glider launch, I noticed a photographer half way along the switchbacks above the white water tank with lens aimed at the male Blue Grosbeak. It flew down followed by the female, and both landed along the fence between the launch area and the trail. This was at 950 am. They stayed in this area for at least 20 minutes. Dave Weber,Milpitasby phone

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28282): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28282
-=-=-

Date: 6/3/24 6:49 pm
From: Edward Reed via groups.io <ed.reed3...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Blue Grosbeak re-found at Ed Levin
A walk up and back a number of times over the
Agua Callente Trail seeking the Blue Grosbeak with over cast sky, sometimes windy.
Howard Friedman happened by among a few other like minded birders.
The day started slow but the afternoon was very productive.

A number of birds were seen:
Rufous crown sparrow
Grasshopper Sparrow
Lark Sparrow
Lazuli Bunting
White Tailed Kite
Great Blue Heron flew at eye level
Red tail Hawks
Says Phoebe
Ash-throated Flycatchers
Western Kingbird
Lesser Goldfinch

GPS is done with Google Maps.
Late morning Tiffany and another party had good views of the Blue Grosbeak at
37.457359, -121.860856
Right along the Tularcitos Trail

About 1PM the Blue Grosbeak was spotted at the top of a Buckeye tree in bloom at
37.458434, -121.860459
Which is down in a ravine with no public access. My eyes followed its movement.

The Blue Grosbeak seemed to be shaking off a bath then proceeded to
37.460096, -121.862352
Momentarily. Susan noted that male and female were in vocal exchange.

Then male Blue Grosbeak proceeded to Agua Caliente Trail at
37.460381, -121.862052
It lingered for some minutes obscured by dry vegetation but provided good momentary views.

Then male Blue Grosbeak proceeded momentarily to
37.460862, -121.863664

Then male Blue Grosbeak came back to provide great open views at
37.460589, -121.862926
Susan also sighted the female at same location.

Also in the afternoon
Says Phoebe was found on the fence at
37.461441, -121.863462

A Lazuli Bunting returned to a perch at least three times at
37.457198, -121.858351

A pair of Western Kingbird at
37.457621, -121.861782

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28281): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28281
-=-=-

Date: 6/2/24 1:39 pm
From: Howard Friedman via groups.io <howardnfriedman...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] Ed Levin 06-02024
Sounds like a great day. Love that Blue Grosbeak!

On Sun, Jun 2, 2024, 12:47 PM Matthew Dodder via groups.io <mdodder=
<sbcglobal.net...> wrote:

> Several friends from my old Palo Alto Adult School class and I hiked up to
> the sycamore grove at *Ed Levin Park *this morning. We began on the *Tularcitos
> Trail*, followed by *Agua Caliente Trail*. Along the way we heard and saw
> several GRASSHOPPER SPARROWS, RUFOUS-CROWNED SPARROWS, LAZULI BUNTINGS—some
> of which appeared to be carrying food to their young. Speaking of food, we
> also saw several GREAT EGRETS on the hillside below the trail, one of which
> was caching small rodents in the tall grass. The largest meal appeared to
> be a gopher, which the Egret managed (with some effort) to choke down after
> positioning it head down in its bill. We eventually passed the sycamore
> grove where we paused in the shade to catch our breath before continuing.
> Finally, about 100 yards before the first wind sock and hang glider launch,
> we spotted the male BLUE GROSBEAK. It flushed to the area we had just
> passed where we managed to get another looks at it. Its song was a loud and
> very musical composition that was reminiscent of House Finch. Other birds
> of note were two GOLDEN EAGLES, AND two young WHITE-TAILED KITES. The park
> seemed to have BULLOCK’S ORIOLES everywhere we looked, as well as as
> ASH-THROATED FLYCATCHER, and WESTERN KINGBIRD.
>
> Matthew
>
> [image: BIRDATHON+AWARDS+GRAPHIC.jpg]
>
> Birdathon Awards Night — Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society
> <https://scvas.org/event-calendar/birdathon-awards-night>
> scvas.org <https://scvas.org/event-calendar/birdathon-awards-night>
> <https://scvas.org/event-calendar/birdathon-awards-night>
>

> *Matthew Dodder (he/him)*
> Executive Director
> Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society
> 22221 McClellan Rd.
> Cupertino, CA 95014
> 408-252-3748
> <director...>
> scvas.org
>

> [image: SCVAS_logo_Vertical_A2_email3.gif]

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28280): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28280
-=-=-

Date: 6/2/24 12:47 pm
From: Matthew Dodder via groups.io <mdodder...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Ed Levin 06-02024
[...]

View/Reply Online (#28279): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28279
-=-=-

Date: 6/1/24 6:09 pm
From: Matthew Dodder via groups.io <mdodder...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] Sunny Mountain Trail, etc.

Back to top
Date: 6/1/24 5:28 pm
From: Matthew Dodder via groups.io <mdodder...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Sunny Mountain Trail, etc.
This morning I birded the Sunny Mountain Trail along Skyline Blvd. The area was very birdy and I managed to find my target HERMIT WARBLER. In fact, I came across 4 different males signing and visible from about the 1.2–1.5 mile mark. I got extended looks at two of the four I detected. Also present during my walk were several RED CROSSBILLS calling above the trees and two distant PILEATED WOODPECKERS calling loudly from the Ranch Lake Reservoir area far below the trail. Several breeding-plumaged YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS were also visible. I was impressed by how many WARBLING VIREOS and CASSIN’S VIREOS were present, but only 2 each of WESTERN WOOD-PEWEES and WESTERN FLYCATCHERS. I continued until about the 2-mile mark and then doubled back. As I reached a clearing I saw three PURPLE MARTINS flying low over the treetops. The didn’t stick around and continued south west.

Back on Black Road toward Hwy 17, I heard several PACIFIC WRENS in the shadowy sections of the road. As I merged onto 17 north I saw an immature BROWN PELICAN flying over the road and toward the Lexington Reservoir. A lot of Brown Pelicans have been making their way inland recently, perhaps because of their struggle to find food on the coast.

I took a detour down to the dead-end Old Oak Glen Road near the Chesbro Reservoir. As expected, it was truly lovely and very birdy. A female COMMON MERGANSER, a total of 5 WOOD DUCKS, 2 CLARK’S GREBES, and a WESTERN GREBE. I had hoped maybe for a Yellow-breasted Chat as in previous years, but no luck this time.

Finally, I stopped at the Calero Creek Trail, again to see if any Chats were present. I didn’t find any, but I was completely distracted by a female WOOD DUCK. As I watched her along the creek, I saw one of her chicks drop to the ground beside her! I watched as another, and another, and another dropped perhaps 25 feet from the cavity to join her along the creek. A total of 10 baby Wood Ducks formed a disorderly parade behind the mother as she led them to shelter. I have seen this phenomenon many times in nature videos, but I'd never seen it in real life. It was quite a thrill! I kind of stopped looking for Chats after that. Not much could have made me happier!

Matthew

Join us for the annual Birdathon Awards Event where we announce the winners!
Food, refreshments and fun are guaranteed. Maybe a quiz too...

https://scvas.org/event-calendar/birdathon-awards-night
Birdathon Awards Night — Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society
scvas.org

Matthew Dodder (he/him)
Executive Director
Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society
22221 McClellan Rd.
Cupertino, CA 95014
408-252-3748
<director...>
scvas.org

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28277): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28277
-=-=-

Date: 6/1/24 10:07 am
From: Joe Heinlein via groups.io <Jgheinlein...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] Blue grosbeaks
Blue grosbeak continues. The male was just seen and heard beyond the first
hang gliding wind sock. If taking the trail, go through the car gate and
pass the large white water tower staying on the road. The male was seen
moving between the oaks, eucalyptus, and a third flowering tree I am
unfamiliar with.

John Scharpen saw the female much earlier today at the first water tower.

Joe
Campbell

On Sun, May 26, 2024 at 9:57 AM Chris Overington via groups.io
<chris.overington...> wrote:

> Male and female continuing at Ed Levin County Park in previous location

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28276): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28276
-=-=-

Date: 6/1/24 5:30 am
From: Group Notification <noreply...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] South Bay Birds Monthly Reminder #guidelines-notice
Thank you for being a member of South Bay Birds [SBB]. This is our monthly reminder sent to the list with information about the group.

South Bay Birds [SBB] is a list intended for reporting the interesting birds you find in Santa Clara county, in order to help your fellow birders see them as well. We encourage everyone to share where they bird and what they see. Please include the general location (e.g., an eBird hotspot) and, if appropriate, the bird(s) of interest in the subject line, with any additional detail needed in the message body.  If you use eBird, we encourage you to include a link to the eBird trip report that you filed.

This list is maintained by the Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society (https://scvas.org). Their volunteers and funding keep the list running so please consider joining or donating to them. SBB's Lead Admin is Jim Dehnert. Chuq Von Rospach, Brooke Miller, Matthew Dodder and Barry Langdon-Lassagne assist Jim. You can contact the administration team with your questions and concerns at southbaybirds+<owner...>

The home site for this list is https://scvas.org/siliconvalleybirding and you can find out more about us there. To start sending messages to members of this group, send email to <southbaybirds...>

*Available Topic Groups*

There are four topic groups available:

South Bay Birds [SBB] https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/

South Bay Birds (Events) [SBB-Events] https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds-events/

Santa Clara County Birding Facebook Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/110996713065201/
South Bay Birds Discord Server invite code: https://discord.gg/NteQSY3Tn8

Trying to find a location mentioned in SBB? Check out the Self-guided Field Trips map and location descriptions at https://scvas.org/self-guided-field-trips . For salt pond names and descriptions, go to https://scvas.org/salt-ponds-of-santa-clara-county

*Ethical Birding*

The birds we watch should be our primary concern. As birders we need to be sensitive to their needs and not do things that put the birds or their habitat at risk.

We believe all birders should act as ethical birders. Your personal year list or that special photograph could put the bird at risk or cause its nest to fail. Because we expect all birders to act ethically around the birds that bring them joy, we expect that of the birders who are on our list as well. We have written up some ideas of what it means to be an ethical birder, and list links to other resources on ethical birding as well. Please read them and act to put the bird’s needs ahead of your own. If we find out that members of the list are putting birds or their habitat at risk, those members may lose access to the mailing list and its resources.

We also believe that members of the list should treat each other properly. If a list member is found to be attacking or harassing other list members, or engaging in activities that violate the ethical birding code it may affect their future ability to contribute to or subscribe to our lists.

*Acceptable Content*

The primary content for SBB is to report interesting birds you saw and where you saw them ( https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/24065 ).  The objective ( https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/25078 ) is to help other birders interested in the birds you saw to find them themselves.  Please include the general location (e.g., an eBird hotspot) and, if appropriate, the bird(s) of interest in the subject line, with any additional detail needed in the message body.  Please report only Santa Clara County locations -- other counties have their own mailing lists for trip reports.

Occasionally the administrator will post an Advocacy digest -- no more than once a week, and more typically much less often. This digest contains topics that are not typically posted to the list but we feel are of interest to the readers of SBB and are important enough to warrant posting to the wider audience. These messages will be tagged with the word "Advocacy" in the subject so members who aren't interested can delete or filter them if they choose. Topics posted as Advocacy messages typically include updates on important Advocacy activities by Santa Clara Valley Audubon (SCVAS) and SCVAS volunteer activities.

*Unacceptable Content*

Do not disclose information that identifies the location of nesting birds of any species, to minimize stress on the nesting birds and the risk of vandalism or abuse.

We discourage general discussion and questions on South Bay Birds, for that we've created a Facebook group (see below).  If you wish to propose a general-purpose announcement for an Advocacy digest post, please send the proposed text to the administrator (below).

Please do not post notices of upcoming events to SBB. There is a sister list, South Bay Birds (Events) [SBB-Events], that should be used for that purpose. If you are interested in knowing what events are being offered by SCVAS and other county bird-oriented organizations, we encourage you to subscribe to this list (see below).

Please do not post carpooling requests for events to SBB. We request that they go to the Facebook discussion group.

*Unsubscribing from South Bay Birds*

South Bay Birds and Birdwatching in Silicon Valley are affiliated with the Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society (http://www.scvas.org), which offers classes and outings around the county, so if you're interested in learning more about birding in the county or joining other birders in going out birding, they can help you find an outing that matches your interests.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28275): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28275
Mute #guidelines-notice:https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/mutehashtag/guidelines-notice
-=-=-

Date: 5/30/24 7:58 pm
From: Edward Reed via groups.io <ed.reed3...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Black headed Grosbeaks at Alum Rock County Park

While driving in had the windows down and listened for bird calls.
Stopped the car at the visitors center.
Found a birdy area between the Visitors center and the YSI buildings a little further east.
Not much was visible to me with the dark morning canopy.

About 10AM Grosbeak calls became muted as male and female Grosbeaks became active feeders
for themselves and their young on the Californian Chestnut in bloom at
37.396448, -121.800782

Merlin heard about 14 species in two minutes.
To name a few sightings...
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Violet-green Swallow
House Wren
Warbling Vireo
White Breasted Nuthatch
Brown Creeper
Ash-throated Flycatcher
Black-headed Grosbeak

Bullocks Oriole posed for me at eye level
37.39752617084826, -121.79997150101008

Lazuli Bunting was heard but not seen.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28274): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28274
-=-=-

Date: 5/30/24 1:20 pm
From: janna pauser via groups.io <jannapauser...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Calero Creek trail and recent birds
This morning I birded the Calero Creek trail just to the Santa Teresa
Creek crossing and back. WARBLING VIREO'S 6 were still singing and a
nest was found. Best birds were 1 BLACK CHINNED HUMMINGBIRD, a DOWNY
WOODPECKER, many WESTERN BLUEBIRDS, ASH THROATED FLYCATCHER in three
locations and HOUSE WRENS in two area's. Two BLUE GRAY GNATCATCHERS were
seen, one at the creek crossing. LARK SPARROWS were along the east
orchard fence. My first photo shows an adult and fledgling. A female
LAZULI BUNTING was perched on the fence with more LARK SP. Just 1
WESTERN FLYCATCHER was singing.
An adult BALD EAGLE was circling low over roadkill on McKean Road.

Yesterday I birded the short Guadalupe Creek trail where I photographed
a male BLACK CHINNED HUMMINGBIRD.

Tuesday, May 28 I photographed a COMMON MERGANSER family from Almaden
Lake's pedestrian bridge.

Twice recently I've seen a vocal CANARY escapee on the Shannon Valley
trail. What a singer!

Janna Pauser
Almaden Valley

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28273): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28273
-=-=-

Date: 5/28/24 9:51 pm
From: Curt Bianchi via groups.io <curt...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Wood Ducks at Picchetti Ranch
Back at the beginning of May, Matthew Dodder reported the presence of a pair of Wood Ducks on the Picchetti Ranch seasonal pond. I went looking for them the next afternoon, but of course I didn't see any Wood Ducks. I finally returned this afternoon and was delighted to find a male/female pair on the pond. Actually, as I was walking the trail on the backside of the pond, I flushed the male out of the trees or reeds (seemed like it was actually in a tree on the edge of the pond). I initially assumed I flushed a Mallard, which is common for the pond. But when I relocated the bird on the pond, I saw that it was actually a male Wood Duck. So then I lingered for a while hoping to get a better view when I saw a female duck and two ducklings. Not knowing much about what female Wood Ducks and ducklings look like, I initially assumed that these were also Wood Ducks. But then a little later I saw the male again with a different female. Hmmm.

When I got home and reviewed my photos, I realized that I had a male/female pair of Wood Ducks, and a female Mallard and Mallard two ducklings. At least I'm pretty sure about all that. :-) Not as exciting as Wood Duck ducklings would have been, but I was nevertheless happy to see the adult Wood Ducks. Some photos are attached to my eBird checklist: https://ebird.org/checklist/S177925920

All the best,
Curt Bianchi

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28272): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28272
-=-=-

Date: 5/28/24 12:26 pm
From: Amanda Newlove via groups.io <amandanewlove...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Escaped pet? Rancho Canada Del Oro
To my surprise this morning, I saw what I believe was a White-winged
Parakeet at Rancho Canada Del Oro. (Escaped pet?) It flushed out from the
ground in the tall dry grass as I walked along the start of Mayfair Ranch
trail and it went up into a nearby tree. I thought to myself: that was a
very GREEN bird and was able to re-find it in the tree. Of course on a day
I don't have my "big camera" so here's some awful zoomed-in phone pics.

It had no interest in coming down and was a strong flyer. It flew off down
Casa Loma road to the NE so I lost sight of it. This was around 8:30am
today 5/28

Thought I'd put out the word especially if this is someone's missing bird
friend.

[image: 20240528_082912.jpg]
[image: 20240528_082609.jpg]

Amanda

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28271): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28271
-=-=-

Date: 5/28/24 10:20 am
From: David Zittin via groups.io <dzittin...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] SCVAS field trip, Sanborn County Park on 5/27/24
There were 14 of us doing our best looking for birds. It was quieter, birdwise, than our last trip on April 20. Fewer birds were out in the open. We heard a few Black-headed Grosbeaks, Western Tanagers (brief sightings) and Cassin's Vireo. We heard and saw the Western Flycatcher as they were quite vocal. We also heard Pileated Woodpecker especially in the meadow above the maintenance yard. The maintenance folk told us that there is a nest somewhere around the meadow and Pileated Woodpeckers have been flying back and forth. We did good views of a single Pacific Wren and a Wilson's Warbler.

We had nice views of a pair of Western Bluebirds flying back and forth to a nest, delivering insect larvae to their young.

List at https://ebird.org/checklist/S177828016

-Dave Zittin ( https://ebird.org/checklist/S177828016 )
Cupertino, CA

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28270): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28270
-=-=-

Date: 5/27/24 1:04 pm
From: Mary Ann Robertson via groups.io <marobertsonca...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] Black Swifts
Congratulations, Carter!  Glad you got photos and thank you for your excellent comments on your eBird list.  Such an exciting encounter!
--Mary Ann
On Monday, May 27, 2024 at 01:00:21 PM PDT, Carter Gasiorowski <carter.gasiorowski...> wrote:

Today, 5-27-24, my dad, Susan Weinstein, and I had Black Swifts at Monte Bello OSP! More details and photos are in my eBird list: https://ebird.org/checklist/S177636826
Happy Birding!Carter

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28269): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28269
-=-=-

Date: 5/27/24 1:00 pm
From: Carter Gasiorowski via groups.io <carter.gasiorowski...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Black Swifts
Today, 5-27-24, my dad, Susan Weinstein, and I had Black Swifts at Monte
Bello OSP! More details and photos are in my eBird list:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S177636826

Happy Birding!
Carter

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28268): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28268
-=-=-

Date: 5/26/24 3:53 pm
From: Aidan Sinha via groups.io <aidansinha...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Loma Prieta area 5/26/24
Hi all,

Today my dad and I went up to the Loma Prieta area to search for the recently reported Black-chinned Sparrows. We were able to hear one singing from somewhere north of the large pullout at the intersection of Loma Prieta Avenue and Mount Madonna Road, and saw another farther south on Mount Madonna Road singing from several large snags around 37°05'43.1"N 121°50'38.4"W. The bird on Mount Madonna Road seemed to fairly reliably show up on those snags, as it often returned there after being flushed, so it may be worth checking this area if you cannot find them at the pullout. We also had a few Orange-crowned Warblers and at least one Lazuli Bunting (which was just barely within Santa Cruz County).

A couple more notes about birding the area: There were a lot of buzzing insects flying around when we were there, as well as a decent number of vehicles driving through the area, so be prepared for both. Also, the road to the summit of Loma Prieta is CLOSED past the pullout at the junction of Loma Prieta Avenue and Mount Madonna Road (I believe this closure has been in effect for a while, but I wanted to reiterate this since several people did go up that way today). You can go on Mount Madonna Road (the road to the right), but you cannot go past this point (37°05'49.8"N 121°50'45.4"W) on the road to the summit (the road on the left).

My eBird list for the SCC side is here: https://ebird.org/checklist/S177376471

Aidan Sinha
San Jose

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28267): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28267
-=-=-

Date: 5/26/24 2:42 pm
From: Luca de Alfaro via groups.io <luucaa...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] Lazuli Buntings at Joseph Grant
I am sorry for the autocorrect; I think it's obvious but:

Trains --> Trails
Ann was there yesterday from *her* report (this was my mistake).
Luca

On Sun, May 26, 2024 at 2:36 PM Luca de Alfaro via groups.io <luucaa=
<gmail.com...> wrote:

> Yesterday I did a big mountain biking + birdwatching tour at Joseph grant
> , and *Lazuli Buntings *were all over the place. I saw 3 pairs (so 6
> individuals) and heard several more. The two most accessible of those I
> saw were at the train junction at 37.32436, -121.69880 between Hotel and
> Corral Trains.
>
> I also saw 3 *Bullock's Orioles, *and several *Blue-Gray Gnatcatchers. *
> One of them was harassing a Scrub Jay (at one nest site), and another an *American
> Kestrel *(yes, really; the Kestrel flew away).
>
> Checklist for gate crossing: https://ebird.org/checklist/S177358523 (with
> photos)
> Checklist for Kestrel vs Gnatcatcher faceoff:
> https://ebird.org/checklist/S177360311 (with photos)
>
> I saw that Ann was there yesterday from my report, maybe we crossed in the
> parking lot!
> It was great to see so many birdwatchers out there! It is a fabulous time
> for birding in Joseph Grant.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Luca

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28266): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28266
-=-=-

Date: 5/26/24 2:36 pm
From: Luca de Alfaro via groups.io <luucaa...>
[...]

View/Reply Online (#28265): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28265
-=-=-

Date: 5/26/24 11:57 am
From: Ann Hepenstal via groups.io <annhep...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] May 25th field trip to Joseph D. Grant County Park
On Sat, Kirsten H., Linda Sue J., Linda S. and I led a "Women Walk the Wilds" field trip to Joseph D. Grant County Park.  The weather conditions were--mysterious! with low clouds/fog, a determined mist, and cool temperatures.  Grant County Park is a beautiful and special place every day, but on Saturday, it was even more magical.14 of us enjoyed a "walk" along the Hotel Trail, managing to go 0.7 miles in about 2 hours LOL.  Practically the first bird we spotted out of the parking lot was a Lazuli Bunting, with a Bullock's Oriole as the 2nd--which set the tone for the day.  :-)
Highlights:Lazuli Buntings were singing EVERYWHERE--we counted 8 but almost certainly there were more (we were trying to avoid duplicates)Bullock's Orioles were busy as well, singing and carrying food--we counted 5Western Bluebird pair was spotted carrying food and entering a nestboxCedar Waxwings--flyby of a flock of about 20American Kestrel working the fields, and later, harassing a Red-Tailed HawkWestern Kingbird (3)Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher--we got to watch it harassing a California Scrub Jay, who was oblivious to all of its threatsAsh-Throated Flycatchers were everywhere, perching up high, singing, flying busily about--we tallied 5 with all the movement, but probably there were more
After returning to the parking lot, most of the group stayed to enjoy a BYO picnic by the Rose Garden.Then several of us walked around the Rose Garden over to the bridge by the little pond/water feature.  We got great views of 3 Lawrence's Goldfinches moving about in that area, perching on trees and vegetation and landing in the mud by the creek bank.  A now-known-as Western Flycatcher gave us great views, and we counted about 17 species while just on the bridge.
FYI here's the links to the eBird checklists I kept:https://ebird.org/checklist/S177109757   Our walk from the parking lot out the Hotel Trail and back
https://ebird.org/checklist/S177109915 Checklist I kept during our picnic (Incidental birding)
https://ebird.org/checklist/S177110497 Checklist for the walk from the picnic area through the rose garden, over the bridge and back to the parking lot

Women Walk the Wilds field trips are for women* by women and are offered periodically through SCVAS.org -- all levels of birders welcomed, from expert and intermediate to beginner.  Watch the fall calendar for the next event! (*women/femme/nonbinary)
Good birding, Ann
** Want to get out birding on Sat June 1st?  Come help with the Summer Bird Count in the "Palo Alto Count Circle" encompassing parts of San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties.  email <paloaltocbc...>

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28264): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28264
-=-=-

Date: 5/26/24 9:57 am
From: Chris Overington via groups.io <chris.overington...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Blue grosbeaks
Male and female continuing at Ed Levin County Park in previous location

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28263): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28263
-=-=-

Date: 5/26/24 9:35 am
From: Mike Rogers via groups.io <Michael.M.Rogers...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Brandt’s Cormorant

All,

There is currently (5/26/24, 9:20am) a Brandt’s Cormorant on the eastern arm of Pond A2E, north of Moffett Field.

Mike Rogers
Sunnyvale, CA

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28262): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28262
-=-=-

Date: 5/25/24 3:32 pm
From: Matthew Dodder via groups.io <mdodder...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Blue Grosbeaks at Ed Levin
Several birders and I converged on Ed Levin County Park this morning to follow up on yesterday's BLUE GROSBEAK report. The birds were seen some distant beyond their traditional location at the sycamore grove and were found today just before the first windsock marking the hanglider launch area. To reach the spot where we found both the male and female, we hiked up from the dog park along the Tularcitos Trail and through the metal gate on the Agua Caliente Trail. They moved around quite a bit, beginning near the windsock, then moving down hill and back toward the sycamore grove. We also detected them again at the first metal gate near the large water tank. At one point the male was heard singing, but the other times their vocalizations were simple, but very loud chip notes reminiscent of a Northern Waterthrush.

LAZULI BUNTINGS seemed to be everywhere during our walk, as well as GRASSHOPPER SPARROWS and RUFOUS-CROWNED SPARROW. One LARK SPARROW was singing from the rocks beneath the second windsock (much higher up the hill).

Matthew

https://scvas.org/event-calendar/birdathon-awards-night
Birdathon Awards Night — Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society
scvas.org

Matthew Dodder (he/him)
Executive Director
Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society
22221 McClellan Rd.
Cupertino, CA 95014
408-252-3748
<director...>
scvas.org

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
View/Reply Online (#28261): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28261
-=-=-

Date: 5/25/24 2:32 pm
From: Dori via groups.io <Dorienne777...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Nola’s Iris Garden

Back to top
Date: 5/25/24 1:33 pm
From: Bob Reiling via groups.io <rreiling2...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Continuing Black Oystercatcher
All,
The BLACK OYSTERCATCHER was well seen this morning in Shoreline Lake, initially while feeding in the water on the northern most point of the island, it then disappeared as it went along the eastern portion of the island to the top of the island. Later it was hard to see as it fed along along the water on the the dark western portion of the island and eventually was again well seen feeding on the far northern most point of the island.
Take care,
Bob Reiling

View/Reply Online (#28259): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28259
-=-=-
[...]