SouthBayBirds
Received From Subject
7/23/24 10:19 am Marion Krause via groups.io <mkrause3...> Re: [southbaybirds] Brown Pelican carcass at Uvas Reservoir
7/23/24 10:02 am Ariel Potter via groups.io <aypotter2...> Re: [southbaybirds] Brown Pelican carcass at Uvas Reservoir
7/23/24 9:50 am Ariel Potter via groups.io <aypotter2...> Re: [southbaybirds] Brown Pelican carcass at Uvas Reservoir
7/23/24 7:23 am Marion Krause via groups.io <mkrause3...> Re: [southbaybirds] Brown Pelican carcass at Uvas Reservoir
7/22/24 9:54 pm Rick Herder via groups.io <rick.herder...> [southbaybirds] Brown Pelican carcass at Uvas Reservoir
7/22/24 4:14 pm Eve Meier via groups.io <eve.m.meier...> [southbaybirds] Laguna Ave
7/22/24 2:17 pm Aidan Sinha via groups.io <aidansinha...> [southbaybirds] Don Edwards Entrance Road 7/22/24
7/21/24 3:43 pm Matthew Dodder via groups.io <mdodder...> [southbaybirds] Don Edwards
7/21/24 1:30 pm David Zittin via groups.io <dzittin...> [southbaybirds] Picchetti Winery
7/19/24 3:01 pm Eve Meier via groups.io <eve.m.meier...> [southbaybirds] Joseph D Grant
7/19/24 1:48 pm Dominik Mosur via groups.io <dominikmosur...> Re: [southbaybirds] Edenvale Gardens Park 7/19/24
7/19/24 1:23 pm Ryan L. via groups.io <ryanbirding...> [southbaybirds] Edenvale Gardens Park 7/19/24
7/17/24 12:40 pm janna pauser via groups.io <jannapauser...> [southbaybirds] Vasona Lake Park breeding birds
7/17/24 12:21 pm Dori via groups.io <Dorienne777...> Re: [southbaybirds] Phalarope added to 7/15 list
7/17/24 9:08 am Diane McCoy via groups.io <dianemccoy10...> [southbaybirds] Phalarope added to 7/15 list
7/16/24 5:00 pm Diane McCoy via groups.io <dianemccoy10...> [southbaybirds] 7/15 SCVAS trip: Palo Alto Baylands to Byxbee
7/16/24 1:25 pm Goldie via groups.io <Goldie.m.summers...> Re: [southbaybirds] Update on Mountain Bluebird report
7/15/24 11:50 pm Goldie via groups.io <Goldie.m.summers...> [southbaybirds] Update on Mountain Bluebird report
7/15/24 10:15 pm Carter Gasiorowski via groups.io <carter.gasiorowski...> [southbaybirds] Ed Levin Yesterday
7/14/24 1:06 pm Eve Meier via groups.io <eve.m.meier...> [southbaybirds] Los Alamitos Creek Trail
7/13/24 1:25 pm Eve Meier via groups.io <eve.m.meier...> [southbaybirds] Agnews, Lick Mill and SCVWD
7/13/24 11:36 am Ryan L. via groups.io <ryanbirding...> [southbaybirds] Vasona Lake CP and Oka Ponds 7/13/24
7/11/24 5:00 pm lavin_fara via groups.io <pdunten...> [southbaybirds] Palo Alto Summer Bird Count Recap
7/10/24 7:14 am Ryan L. via groups.io <ryanbirding...> [southbaybirds] Los Capitancillos Ponds 7/9/24
7/8/24 12:47 pm masiegel via groups.io <masiegel...> Re: [southbaybirds] Lake Cunningham fall migrants
7/8/24 11:43 am Linda Sullivan via groups.io <Watchesherons...> [southbaybirds] Marbled Godwit at Lake Almaden
7/8/24 10:36 am Linda Sullivan via groups.io <Watchesherons...> [southbaybirds] Sorry for the triple request
7/8/24 10:34 am Linda Sullivan via groups.io <Watchesherons...> [southbaybirds] Coots needs help
7/8/24 10:34 am Linda Sullivan via groups.io <Watchesherons...> [southbaybirds] Coots needs help
7/8/24 9:45 am masiegel via groups.io <masiegel...> [southbaybirds] Lake Cunningham fall migrants
7/6/24 12:28 pm Ryan L. via groups.io <ryanbirding...> [southbaybirds] Hellyer County Park 7/6/24
7/5/24 11:26 am Juliana Manoliu via groups.io <manojuli...> Re: [southbaybirds] Black tern continues at Shoreline lake
7/5/24 10:27 am Juliana Manoliu via groups.io <manojuli...> [southbaybirds] Black tern continues at Shoreline lake
7/4/24 1:55 pm Juliana Manoliu via groups.io <manojuli...> [southbaybirds] Happy 4th of July
7/4/24 12:55 pm Ryan L. via groups.io <ryanbirding...> [southbaybirds] Byxbee/Baylands 7/4/24
7/3/24 12:29 pm Howard Friedman via groups.io <howardnfriedman...> [southbaybirds] Land of the Black-headed Grosbeaks
7/2/24 8:01 am Robin via groups.io <robinchen2k...> Re: [southbaybirds] McClellan Ranch beginner bird outing 7/1/24
7/1/24 9:46 pm Robin via groups.io <robinchen2k...> [southbaybirds] McClellan Ranch beginner bird outing 7/1/24
7/1/24 10:05 am Andrew Melnick via groups.io <andrew.melnick...> [southbaybirds] Summer Bird Count -- Loma Prieta (restricted access)
7/1/24 5:30 am Group Notification <noreply...> [southbaybirds] South Bay Birds Monthly Reminder #guidelines-notice
6/30/24 11:18 am Aidan Sinha via groups.io <aidansinha...> [southbaybirds] Shoreline area and Moffett Field 6/29/24
6/29/24 4:20 pm David Zittin via groups.io <dzittin...> [southbaybirds] Ulistac this morning
6/29/24 2:27 pm Ryan L. via groups.io <ryanbirding...> [southbaybirds] Ed Levin CP - June 29
6/28/24 4:05 pm Eve Meier via groups.io <eve.m.meier...> [southbaybirds] Grant Ranch
6/28/24 3:19 pm Dorothy Johnson via groups.io <dfj6281...> Re: [southbaybirds] Calero Creek Trail night walk - Poorwills!
6/27/24 5:27 pm Vicki Silvas-Young via groups.io <mrnngwrblr...> [southbaybirds] Sunnyvale WPCP, 6-5-2024
6/27/24 5:19 pm Vicki Silvas-Young via groups.io <mrnngwrblr...> [southbaybirds] First Day of Summer at Lake Cunningham, 6-23-2024
6/26/24 10:51 pm hacksoncode via groups.io <hacksoncode...> [southbaybirds] Calero Creek Trail night walk - Poorwills!
6/26/24 7:09 pm Garrett Lau via groups.io <Garrett.Lau...> Re: [southbaybirds] Common Loon
6/26/24 4:49 pm Chris Henry via groups.io <birdingwithchris...> [southbaybirds] Common Loon
6/26/24 1:54 pm Bob Reiling via groups.io <rreiling2...> [southbaybirds] Continuing Vermillion Flycatcher

Back to top
Date: 7/23/24 10:19 am
From: Marion Krause via groups.io <mkrause3...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] Brown Pelican carcass at Uvas Reservoir
Thanks to all who sent me info on where to report the dead crow. I returned to the spot this morning where I had seen the dead crow yesterday and found the bird. I bagged it and called it in to the dead bird hotline number (1 877 968 2473 (BIRD) in case anyone else needs it). They thanked me and said someone would be by today to pick it up.
Thank you!
Marion

View/Reply Online (#28367): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28367
South Bay Birds is maintained by the Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society (https://scvas.org) and its volunteers.
Our website, https://scvas.org/siliconvalleybirding, contains content guidelines, the SBB code of conduct, and additional information.

Do not disclose information that identifies the location of nesting birds of any species, to minimize stress on the nesting birds and the risk of vandalism or abuse.

Birding events in and near Santa Clara County: https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds-events/ .
Discussions: Facebook group Santa Clara County Birding (https://www.facebook.com/groups/110996713065201/) and a Discord Server (https://discord.gg/NteQSY3Tn8).
SCVAS self-guided field trips, maps and descriptions: https://scvas.org/self-guided-field-trips
SCVAS Salt Pond Map: https://scvas.org/salt-ponds-of-santa-clara-county
-=-=-
Group Owner: southbaybirds+<owner...>

Back to top
Date: 7/23/24 10:02 am
From: Ariel Potter via groups.io <aypotter2...>
I asked my friend who works for the county, and he provided this dead bird
hotline number: 1 877 968 2473 (BIRD).

They also have an online submission form. https://westnile.ca.gov/

View/Reply Online (#28366): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28366

Date: 7/23/24 9:50 am
From: Ariel Potter via groups.io <aypotter2...>

View/Reply Online (#28365): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28365

Date: 7/23/24 7:23 am
From: Marion Krause via groups.io <mkrause3...>

View/Reply Online (#28364): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28364

Date: 7/22/24 9:54 pm
From: Rick Herder via groups.io <rick.herder...>
This evening I found a dead apparent adult Brown Pelican at the east end of the Uvas Reservoir Dam near Morgan Hill.   I've seen many accounts of starving, wandering Brown Pelicans this year but this one was very distant from any coast.   I snapped some photos.  They're ugly and there's no question of the identity of the species so I won't post them here but they're available.

View/Reply Online (#28363): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28363

Date: 7/22/24 4:14 pm
From: Eve Meier via groups.io <eve.m.meier...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Laguna Ave
Hi Everyone!

This morning I visited Laguna Ave not expecting much but enjoyed the short
birding trip. Near the house but on the north side of the road, there were
lots of *American Goldfinches* and some *Lesser Goldfinches* enjoying the
blooming thistle. *Western Bluebirds* were very active in this area too,
plus it was pretty with the purple from the thistle, and the other blue and
yellow flowering plants. Because the thistles were along the fence line, I
had some close-up views of the finches and thought for those of you with
cameras, you could get some nice shots. Towards the end of the road a
small group of *Tricolored Blackbirds* were foraging on the ground and
*Loggerhead
Shrike* was sitting on an overhead wire. Other birds seen were *Red-tailed
Hawks*, 1 *Red-shouldered Hawk*, a pair of *American Kestrels*, a pair
of *White-tailed
Kites*, and 1 *Peregrine Falcon* sitting on one of the telephone poles.

ebird: https://ebird.org/checklist/S188262799

Happy Birding!
Eve Meier (San Jose)

View/Reply Online (#28362): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28362

Date: 7/22/24 2:17 pm
From: Aidan Sinha via groups.io <aidansinha...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Don Edwards Entrance Road 7/22/24
Hi all,
This afternoon several of my family members and I visited the entrance road to the Don Edwards EEC. There were many shorebirds around, primarily Western Sandpipers, Greater Yellowlegs, and Black-necked Stilts. I also noted at least one Semipalmated Plover, a single Lesser Yellowlegs, and 4 Wilson’s Phalaropes. Most of those birds were viewed from the area around the dirt parking lot. I was unable to find any Semipalmated Sandpipers, although there are fairly large numbers of peeps and it would be worth searching for them if you visit. If you do visit the area, be careful while walking along the road as there are many large trucks currently passing through. The heat and heat waves can also be an issue if you visit in the middle of the day.

Happy start of fall migration!

Aidan Sinha
San Jose

View/Reply Online (#28361): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28361

Date: 7/21/24 3:43 pm
From: Matthew Dodder via groups.io <mdodder...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Don Edwards
Cricket and I did a bit of scouting at Don Edwards this morning for an upcoming SCVAS field trip. We were very happy to see the swarms of recently arrived LEAST and WESTERN SANDPIPERS around New Chicago Marsh—numbering close to 1000 birds between the two species. Most appeared to be adults in pre-basic molt, but quite a few retained a bit of their alternate colors. Only a few if any juveniles were present. There were also two WILLETS, a WHIMBREL, three SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS and of course hundreds of BLACK-NECKED STILTS, and a few dozen AMERICAN AVOCETS. Our favorite discovery was a small flock of WILSON’S PHALAROPES swimming quite close to the board walk. As we left the area, we saw one of the PEREGRINE FALCONS on the power tower above the train tracks.

Matthew

Matthew Dodder (he/him)
Executive Director
Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society
22221 McClellan Rd.
Cupertino, CA 95014
408-252-3748
<director...>
scvas.org

View/Reply Online (#28360): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28360

Date: 7/21/24 1:30 pm
From: David Zittin via groups.io <dzittin...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Picchetti Winery
Hi Birders,
Floy and I birded at Picchetti OSP. Birds were surprisingly active. The most interesting thing was seeing so many Black-throated Gray Warblers. We had good looks at four individuals, and we possibly saw a fifth. At least two were immature, so this is likely a brood. These were seen around the vernal pond and on the Orchard Loop Trail near its intersection with the Zinfandel Trail. We also had good views of the Western Flycatcher (2), a single Orange-crowned Warbler and an immature Cooper's Hawk harassed by a Common Raven and several smaller birds.

Details at https://ebird.org/checklist/S188135576

-Dave Zittin
Cupertino, CA

View/Reply Online (#28359): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28359

Date: 7/19/24 3:01 pm
From: Eve Meier via groups.io <eve.m.meier...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Joseph D Grant
Hi Everyone!

Today, Connor Christensen and I led a SCVAS field trip to Joseph D Grant
Park. We had about 10 attendees braving the heat and we were rewarded with
some fun birds.

First we tackled the ranch house area. Some fun sightings were a begging
juvenile *Cooper's Hawk* chowing down on something tasty. We also had about
5 *Lark Sparrows* foraging in the short grasses behind the bathroom near
the green barn. We got lucky with a close-up view of a *Blue-gray
Gnatcatcher* and several *Western Flycatchers* were posing for us down
low. The Vermillion Flycatcher was not seen.

To avoid the heat, we drove to Grant Lake where we were rewarded with a
family of *Western Kingbirds* (2 adults and 3 fresh juveniles lined up on a
branch), *Ash-throated Flycatchers* and a beautiful male *Lazuli Bunting*.
Other fun sightings were at least one *Green Heron*, 2 surprise *Wood Ducks*
flying low over the lake, and 5 *American Avocets* along the far bank.

Here's our trip report from today: https://ebird.org/tripreport/261359

Happy birding!
Eve Meier

View/Reply Online (#28358): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28358

Date: 7/19/24 1:48 pm
From: Dominik Mosur via groups.io <dominikmosur...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] Edenvale Gardens Park 7/19/24
Hi Ryan,

The Yellow-rumped Warbler appears to have some sort of growth at the base
of the upper mandible. This could be just accumulation of eucalyptus gum
from feeding in the blossoms but perhaps also some sort of growth related
to disease (avian Pox?) Birds afflicted this way may not be fit to migrate
and so this individual could have in fact been summering locally.

However Yellow-rumps can also show up as early as June on the Central
California coast as post breeding dispersers so if this is the case this
bird is not exceptionally early.

Dominik Mosur
San Francisco

View/Reply Online (#28357): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28357

Date: 7/19/24 1:23 pm
From: Ryan L. via groups.io <ryanbirding...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Edenvale Gardens Park 7/19/24

Edenvale Gardens Regional Park <https://www.sanjoseca.gov/Home/Components/FacilityDirectory/FacilityDirectory/2178/2028> San Jose Parks
Edenvale Gardens <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edenvale_Gardens_Regional_Park> Wikipedia

View/Reply Online (#28356): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28356

Date: 7/17/24 12:40 pm
From: janna pauser via groups.io <jannapauser...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Vasona Lake Park breeding birds
I birded the west side of Vasona Lake Park this morning. The following
species showed evidence of breeding with begging birds or young with
adults; *Red shouldered Hawk, Red tailed Hawk, Stellar's Jay, Nuttall's
and Acorn Woodpecker, Western Bluebird, Am. Coot, Canada Goose, Am.
Robin, Mallard, Bewicks Wren, White breasted Nuthatch, Am. Crow, Violet
Green and Nor. Rough Winged Swallow and Dark eyed Junco. **
*
A *Hooded Oriole and five Western Tanagers* were feeding on Elderberry
bushes at the far side of the west parking lot behind the boat house. I
saw eight *Black headed Grosbeak* in Oak Meadow where I took this photo.

Also seen were *Brown Creeper, Green Heron, Caspian Tern, Vaux's Swift
and Northern Flicker. A Western Flycatcher *was heard only.

Janna Pauser
San Jose

View/Reply Online (#28355): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28355

Date: 7/17/24 12:21 pm
From: Dori via groups.io <Dorienne777...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] Phalarope added to 7/15 list

Back to top
Date: 7/17/24 9:08 am
From: Diane McCoy via groups.io <dianemccoy10...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Phalarope added to 7/15 list
Hi all.
One of our participates, Melanie Barnett, from the SCVAS trip this past Monday was going through her photos and in among the many BN Stilts we observed there, was a juvenile Wilson's Phalarope!
I updated the ebird list along with a Lesser Goldfinch:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S187160104

Thanks Melanie! and to all,
Diane McCoy
PS Since I sent this all thought I'd remind people about the wonderful and entertaining podcaster speaker SCVAS is 'hosting' on zoom this evening at 7pm: Ivan Phillipsen's 'The Science of Birds' is amazing; learn so much, so entertaining and fun! Register at SCVAS.org, click on Education, then Speaker Series.

View/Reply Online (#28353): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28353

Date: 7/16/24 5:00 pm
From: Diane McCoy via groups.io <dianemccoy10...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] 7/15 SCVAS trip: Palo Alto Baylands to Byxbee
Hi Everyone.
Yesterday Peg Albrets and I were joined by 11 people who joined us early at the Palo Alto Baylands for a summer birding trip. Brrr! Really! It was quite cool and high foggy overcast; we loved it!
We ended up with 44 species. Here is the ebird list:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S187160104 <https://ebird.org/checklist/S187160104>

It was really 45 as afterwards one of our participants shared the sighting of a Lesser Goldfinch.

What was rather exciting was seeing the Least and Western (1) Sandpipers! Yay! are Fall migrants on the way ‘down?’ Hope so. Seeing two Greater Yellowlegs in breeding plumage and more LB Curlews seem to support this.
But it’s still been fun birding as every trip seems to let us view and experience a lot of ‘youngsters’ being attended to.
Young swallows abound at the Lucy Evans Interpretive center, Forster’s Terns are teaching young all the good spots to feed, sparrows, bushtits, finches, crows, and ravens continue to call out for parents to come and attend.
And the Gadwall ducklings are into their 4th week at the pond, well attended by mom.

The Caspian Tern was continuing to hang out with the California Gulls in the lagoon near the LEIC; I had seen this last week on both Monday and Friday as well.
The Hooded Oriole continuing to be heard at both the PA Baylands and the beginning of Byxbee was fun.

So enjoy the youngsters; soon all will be overtaken by our visitors from ‘the north!’

BTW, the city of Palo Alto has extended accepting responses to the Palo Alto Airport Expansion plans.
The survey will be up until August 10.
Please do and share! The survey is anonymous and you do not have to be a Palo Alto resident.

https://communityfeedback.opengov.com/portals/paloalto/Issue_13892 <https://communityfeedback.opengov.com/portals/paloalto/Issue_13892>

And write to the city council:

<citycouncil...> <mailto:<citycouncil...>

Save the Duck Pond and marsh!

Thanks much,
Diane McCoy

View/Reply Online (#28352): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28352

Date: 7/16/24 1:25 pm
From: Goldie via groups.io <Goldie.m.summers...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] Update on Mountain Bluebird report
Hi everyone,
At the suggestion of a different ebird reviewer, I changed the species to
"bluebird sp". This makes the description available (which may be useful if
it's seen again) but doesn't designate it as a specific type of bluebird.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S186851158

Have a good afternoon!

View/Reply Online (#28351): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28351

Date: 7/15/24 11:50 pm
From: Goldie via groups.io <Goldie.m.summers...>
Good evening! I was the one that made the mountain bluebird report from Ed Levin. After seeing Carter's post I wanted to post about it here to provide more information, especially since the report is gone. I knew that this bird was a rarity and generally only seen in winter, but what I hadn't realized was that it would have been a first for July in the county. Because of this, ebird cannot accept the report without significant evidence. Unfortunately we weren't able to get the camera aimed in time before the bird flew off (my photographer was focused on other birds at the time), and without a photo it can't be accepted due to the highly unlikely timing and location of the sighting. I understand the reasoning as this protects data integrity.

The bird I saw was definitely a bright blue bluebird (not a scrub jay or lazuli bunting or other bird with blue feathers), but the chest was pale blue without a trace of rufous. The back also had no rufous. Flanks were very light (lighter than the chest) with also no rufous. It was on the north end of the park, near the fields where the gliders land. The reviewer commented on shades of blue for the body but remembering exactly which shade I saw is really difficult, especially since I was focused on scouring for patches of rufous. With the very unlikely timing I recognize that it might be just more likely I saw an extremely unusual adult male bluebird with no rufous anywhere compared to the extraordinarily low odds of seeing a mountain bluebird here in July.

Given that this bird - even if it's just a really strange western bluebird - is one of many many bluebirds in a large park, I don't expect to find it again. But I'm now in the habit of trying to find the grosbeak on weekends, so I'll look for it next time I'm out there trying (and failing) to see the grosbeak!

Thanks
Goldie

View/Reply Online (#28350): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28350

Date: 7/15/24 10:15 pm
From: Carter Gasiorowski via groups.io <carter.gasiorowski...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Ed Levin Yesterday
Yesterday, 7-14-24, my dad and I arrived at the dog park of Ed Levin County
Park just before 8:30am to search for the Mountain Bluebird reported on
eBird. We didn't find the bird (and the report has now been retracted), but
we did have a very birdy morning!

Taking the Tularcitos Trail to the Agua Caliente trail, we first stopped at
the draw where sycamores grow over the trail. Here there was a BLUE
GROSBEAK calling unseen from the hillside above. Continuing up the trail,
we saw a female Blue Grosbeak in the grass about 100 yards before the first
hang glider launch.

After passing the hang glider launch, we went left at the fork to stay on
the Agua Caliente Trail. Past the metal gate, we saw yet another BLUE
GROSBEAK fly into the thistle patch at (37.462984, -121.863104). As we
moved closer to investigate, I saw two, then three, and eventually four
Blue Grosbeaks hiding in the thistle! At least one was a juvenile, so
perhaps they bred nearby.

While I was waiting for the grosbeaks to come into the open, a group of
four small birds flew up the hill, one of them alighting on a thistle right
next to me. With my naked eye, I took in my closest-ever view of a
GRASSHOPPER SPARROW! Fighting the instinct to snap my camera up to my eye,
I slowly raised my lens at the bird, careful not to scare it. However, I
quickly realized this stealth was not necessary, as the bird tilted its
head curiously at the sound of my shutter, staying perfectly in place as I
moved to the ideal angle! Eventually, it flew across the trail and
disappeared into the grass (photos linked below).

Heading back to the metal gate, an adult and juvenile RUFOUS-CROWNED
SPARROW suddenly appeared on the barbed wire in front of us. Crouching down
and sliding my lens through the curtain of tall grasses, I watched the
juvenile look around, always glancing up to check for danger. Suddenly, the
adult landed on the wire right in front of me, allowing for a couple of
quick photos before it spotted me behind the grass and flew off.

On our way back down to the car, we ran into Linda and Karen, who suggested
that the Elm area might be a good place to look around. It was a good
suggestion, as a quick check produced a BULLOCK'S ORIOLE, RED-BREASTED
NUTHATCH, and a GOLDEN EAGLE!

It was a beautiful day, and on top of the beautiful hike, it was wonderful
to see so many birds having breeding success. Rufous-crowned and
Grasshopper Sparrows were numerous along the first 3/4 mile of the Agua
Caliente Trail, with multiple family groups of both. A juvenile American
Kestrel was also a welcome sight given their recent decline in nearby
areas. Hopefully, both birds and birders can keep enjoying this cooler
weather!

Here is my eBird list with photos: https://ebird.org/checklist/S187007989

Happy Birding!
Carter

View/Reply Online (#28349): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28349

Date: 7/14/24 1:06 pm
From: Eve Meier via groups.io <eve.m.meier...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Los Alamitos Creek Trail

Back to top
Date: 7/13/24 1:25 pm
From: Eve Meier via groups.io <eve.m.meier...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Agnews, Lick Mill and SCVWD
Hi Everyone!

I birded a few places these past couple of days. Notable birds were a pair of Scaly-breasted Munia at the Santa Clara Water District headquarters. I hadn’t seen any there in a while. Nothing unusual turned up at Agnews. At least a couple of Red-breasted Nuthatches were at Lick Mill Park. I see these birds fairly regularly at this location.

Happy birding!
Eve Meier (San Jose)

View/Reply Online (#28347): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28347

Date: 7/13/24 11:36 am
From: Ryan L. via groups.io <ryanbirding...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Vasona Lake CP and Oka Ponds 7/13/24

Back to top
Date: 7/11/24 5:00 pm
From: lavin_fara via groups.io <pdunten...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Palo Alto Summer Bird Count Recap
Saturday, June 1 brought perfect weather for the count, with no rain, no extensive areas covered in fog, and mild temperatures.  The day concluded with a delicious Blue Line pizza dinner in downtown Mountain View for the countdown.  Many thanks to the Odd Fellows for allowing us to meet at their lodge in the evening.  The countdown capped the day with a wonderful sense of community joined together for a common purpose.

I never know how many volunteers will set aside part or all of their day for the count.  Surprisingly, despite some initial worries, the number of participants was up slightly this year compared to last.  Thanks are due to Ann Hepenstal, Howard Friedman, Mike Rogers, Al Eisner, Malia DeFelice, Chris MacIntosh & Curt Bianchi for recruiting and organizing counters in the eight sectors of the count circle.

The preliminary total for the 2024 edition of the summer count is 154 species.  ("Preliminary" because not all the forms have come in yet.)  Rarities found on the count included Indigo Bunting high in the Santa Cruz mountains, Common Loon at the Redwood City Marina and on a pond within the Don Edwards NWR, and Horned Lark at Moffett Field.

If there were awards to the parties achieving the highest counts of each species found on the count, some of the winners would have been . . .

Gena & Jeff Zolotar for 52 Anna's Hummingbirds (that's a lot of hummingbirds!)
Steve Rottenborn for 3577 California Gulls (not a competition all of us would want to enter!)
Mike Rogers for 70 Bushtits (which seems like a lot but comes in at about 13 ounces worth!)
Caitlin Chock & Summer Lee for 37 Lazuli Buntings (I admit I'm jealous of this one!)

If any of the above sounds at all intriguing, join us in 2025 on June 7 for the 44th Palo Alto Summer Bird Count.  Summaries of past count results and a graphical interface (courtesy of Vayun Tiwari and Arjun Dixit ) are on the SC VAS website at https://scvas.org/summer-bird-count

Pete Dunten / Compiler

View/Reply Online (#28345): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28345

Date: 7/10/24 7:14 am
From: Ryan L. via groups.io <ryanbirding...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Los Capitancillos Ponds 7/9/24
My current target bird is the Vaux’s Swift. According to eBird it’s the most common bird I haven’t seen at a frequency of 1.33% in Santa Clara County. Last night I went to Los Capitancillos Ponds to see if I could find one (or more).

Last night, I explored the ponds west of Meridian. The westernmost pond was the most active with young Mallards, young American Coots, young Western Bluebirds. Further along I saw young Song Sparrows and a young Black-crowned Night Heron. It’s fascinating that seemingly overnight there are so many juveniles out there. I saw a lot of swallows (Tree, Violet-green, Cliff, Northern Rough-winged) but I don’t think I saw any swifts. I kept looking up but everything looks like a swallow to me that I could identify.

If anyone had any advice or tips to find swifts, I’d appreciate it. If you want to meet up and help me find some swifts, I will buy you lunch. 😀

⛅️ Sunny, 75º F, 61% Hm, 5 mph, AQI 42
☀️⬆️ 5:55 AM ☀️⬇️ 8:30 PM
🌙 Phase: Waxing Crescent

https://ebird.org/checklist/S186276623

View/Reply Online (#28344): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28344

Date: 7/8/24 12:47 pm
From: masiegel via groups.io <masiegel...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] Lake Cunningham fall migrants
Here's a blurry photo. Looks more like Long-billed, after all.
On Monday, July 8, 2024 at 09:45:23 AM PDT, masiegel via groups.io <masiegel...> wrote:

Northeast area, the giant puddle near picnic tables are good looks at a small flock (23) Western Sandpipers and a Dowitcher. (I’m thinking Short-billed) . Most including the dowitcher are in breeding plumage.
Good birding, Marjie Siegel

View/Reply Online (#28343): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28343

Date: 7/8/24 11:43 am
From: Linda Sullivan via groups.io <Watchesherons...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Marbled Godwit at Lake Almaden
On the small island next to the Caspian Tern is a Marbled Godwit.

Pictures taken and will post later.

Good birding
Linda Sullivan.

View/Reply Online (#28342): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28342

Date: 7/8/24 10:36 am
From: Linda Sullivan via groups.io <Watchesherons...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Sorry for the triple request
Sorry for the triple post.
Linda Sullivan.

View/Reply Online (#28341): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28341

Date: 7/8/24 10:34 am
From: Linda Sullivan via groups.io <Watchesherons...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Coots needs help
Howdy Sbbers.

I got an email that a Coot at Lake Almaden had a fishing lore in its back leg area.

I am looking for anyone who can rescue the bird and bring it into Silicon Valley wildlife for help.

The coot is now resting on the smallest island in the lake.

Any help for the Coot would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Linda Sullivan
Santa Teresa.

View/Reply Online (#28340): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28340

Date: 7/8/24 10:34 am
From: Linda Sullivan via groups.io <Watchesherons...>

View/Reply Online (#28339): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28339

Date: 7/8/24 9:45 am
From: masiegel via groups.io <masiegel...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Lake Cunningham fall migrants

View/Reply Online (#28338): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28338

Date: 7/6/24 12:28 pm
From: Ryan L. via groups.io <ryanbirding...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Hellyer County Park 7/6/24
I really like Hellyer County Park because of the diversity of habitat in a small urban park. It’s relatively flat with paved trails (including the Coyote Creek bikeway) a lot of parking and many places to sit. The Cottonwood Lake side can get busy in the summer with parties so I started on the Velodrome side. I parked near the cycling track and walked north along the road following the creek up to Yerba Buena Road. I encountered three species of woodpecker and four swallow species and thirty species total. There were several Western Flycatchers calling all along the route. The area was very quiet allowing good birding by ear.

Afterwards I went to the south side to Cottonwood Lake which was relatively quiet. I encountered a pair of Nuttall’s Woodpeckers in the parking area. A juvenile American Coot wandered into the lake. A Spotted Sandpiper showed up in its fancy summer dress showing off its namesake spots.

Cottonwood Lake was quite full, slightly lower than the winter. Coyote Creek had standing water in several places but was not flowing.

☀️ Sunny, 78º F, 51% Hm, 3 mph, AQI 37
☀️⬆️ 5:53 AM ☀️⬇️ 8:30 PM
🌙 Phase: Waxing Crescent

View/Reply Online (#28337): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28337

Date: 7/5/24 11:26 am
From: Juliana Manoliu via groups.io <manojuli...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] Black tern continues at Shoreline lake
thanks for the Elegant tern diagnostic; it is also the time elegant
terns show up at that location

Juliana Manoliu

View/Reply Online (#28336): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28336

Date: 7/5/24 10:27 am
From: Juliana Manoliu via groups.io <manojuli...>

View/Reply Online (#28335): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28335

Date: 7/4/24 1:55 pm
From: Juliana Manoliu via groups.io <manojuli...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Happy 4th of July
Half a mile from their nest in Santa Clara county (Jim Dehnert should be
happy with location description)

Juliana Manoliu

View/Reply Online (#28334): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28334

Date: 7/4/24 12:55 pm
From: Ryan L. via groups.io <ryanbirding...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Byxbee/Baylands 7/4/24
This morning I got up extra early to beat the heat by the Bay. I started at Byxbee park and made a loop around Mayfield Slough. I saw so many Song Sparrows, Savannah Sparrows, and Common Yellowthroats. I got a nice view of a Northern Harrier perched on a pole and a White-tailed Kite in a tree. Then I went over to Palo Alto Baylands. The tide had passed the low point. I saw five Willets and another White-tailed Kite. Over by the sail station I watched a Peregrine Falcon land on an electrical tower.
https://ebird.org/tripreport/257867
Sunny, 69º F, 67% Hm, 3 mph, AQI 19
☀️⬆️ 5:53 AM ☀️⬇️ 8:32 PM
🌙 Phase: Waning Crescent
Tide: Flow, Low at 7:26 AM, -0.7'

View/Reply Online (#28333): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28333

Date: 7/3/24 12:29 pm
From: Howard Friedman via groups.io <howardnfriedman...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Land of the Black-headed Grosbeaks
On July 1st, with clear skies prevailing and positive attitudes, an intrepid group of birders trekked along the Creek Trail and the North Rim Trail in Alum Rock Park and came away with 40 species of birds we mostly viewed but a few that exclusively discovered using our ears.

After parking in the Quail Hollow and making our introductions, we were treated to a few species right away. Truth of the matter is people began birding from their cars and while hanging out waiting to get started. We had a single White-tailed Kite (thanks for that great find Chris) and a Red-tailed hawk circling above us for our early finds.  I mean, who has ever patiently waited to start birding with calls and fluttering birds abounding everywhere? A single Brown Creeper then came swooping in to feed on the bark of a sycamore.

We had the bountiful Black-headed Grosbeaks calling and flying about, Oak Titmouses, Red-tailed Hawks, Turkey Vultures, and Violet-green Swallows soaring, flitting, and hopping in many directions.  A few Band-tailed Pigeons flew overhead as well. Moving along toward Rustic Lands Picnic area some of us were able to view most of a family of Bullock’s Orioles in the Eucalyptus Trees along the roadside. We found a few California Quail along the roadside with young. This was a special treat for a young visiting birder from Colorado.

Down into Rustic Lands a few Oak Titmouses were flying atop some oaks (go figure) and we encountered more Black-headed Grosbeaks. We might as well rename Alum Rock Park the Land of the Black-Headed Grosbeaks! We walked across the road to the historic bridge to find a Black Phoebe and a song Sparrow. Above us soared a lovely Turkey Vulture.

Along the creek trail, numerous Black-headed Grosbeaks were feeding in the willows and maples.  It was here we saw our first Chestnut-backed Chickadees.  There was also a female Anna’s Hummingbird feeding among the trees, gleaning for insects. From the trail we also were able to see a Northern Flicker perched in a snag on the North Rim Trail above us. We did get to view two once we got to the trail!

I want to state that I have not mentioned the Steller’s Jays that are in abundance in Alum Rock Park.  Not that I don’t like these birds or hold any grudges against them, but they were one of the most common birds found in the park.  In every way, these birds are also the most vocal and obvious winged denizens in the confines of Alum Rock Park!

We searched for Western Screech Owls perched and for the possibility of a Northern Pygmy Owl, but we came up empty-handed.  At the YSI building, we were able to observe  a nesting Black Phoebe and some American Robins on the grassy area along the trail.  We had a few observations of Spotted Towhees and California Towhees along the trail.

Braving the warming day, we headed up the North Rim Trail. Here we had a quick glimpse of a Rufous-crowned Sparrow (we did have a few auditory experiences with these Rufous-crowned as well).  We were able to view a family of Red-tailed Hawks soaring above us (three young and the two parents) flocking with Turkey Vultures.  Two Cooper’s Hawks flew by for a nice view as well.  We were able to watch a Western Kingbird attacking a Red-tailed Hawk and got a nice observation of two White-tailed Kites crossing the canyon above us.  Toward the end of our hike, as we descended the North Rim Trail back to the parking lot, we got a momentary glimpse of a Wrentit.

This was an amazing walk.  I want to thank Eve for being an amazing and generous co-lead. Thanks for helping with IDs and helping with our first time birder.  Note to self: try to remember to bring more binoculars for people who might not have them!  What a fun and curious group. Your enthusiasm really lifts me up and keeps me going strong.  Glad we could all be together.

**
**

Happy birding to all.

**
**

Howard

**

View/Reply Online (#28332): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28332

Date: 7/2/24 8:01 am
From: Robin via groups.io <robinchen2k...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] McClellan Ranch beginner bird outing 7/1/24
Oops, the hyperlink didn't get pasted properly when I copied this post over here. Here it is: https://ebird.org/checklist/S184792526

View/Reply Online (#28331): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28331

Date: 7/1/24 9:46 pm
From: Robin via groups.io <robinchen2k...>
Peg and I led a bird outing at McClellan Ranch this morning. We started out at the feeders, where we saw chestnut-backed chickadees, oak titmice, and both pygmy and white-breasted nuthatches. It was also exciting to see the occasional Anna's hummingbird, lesser goldfinch, and house finch. In the redwood bordering the parking lot, we saw an American robin who was very upset at the red-shouldered hawk on the nearby branch.

We walked over to the barn, where we saw the snoozing Western screech owl (as well as two types of walnuts!). We also saw some black phoebes near the dumpster/compost pile.

We took the creek trail afterwards, where we saw and heard acorn, downy, hairy, and Nuttall's woodpeckers! We also saw California and spotted towhee pairs. It was also exciting to see dark-eyed juncos feeding their baby brown headed cowbird. In all, we encountered 25 species - not bad for a summer heat wave day!

You can see the full list of species at eBird.

View/Reply Online (#28330): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28330

Date: 7/1/24 10:05 am
From: Andrew Melnick via groups.io <andrew.melnick...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Summer Bird Count -- Loma Prieta (restricted access)
Sunday morning, 30 June 2024, Sheila Raymond, Matthew and Kelly Dodder, and Andy Melnick performed a “Summer Bird Count” at the Upper Saddle of Loma Prieta (restricted access). This was a six-month-offset bird count for essentially the same area covered by the corresponding Christmas Bird Count (CBC) of 30 December 2023.

The weather was excellent after the wind on the ridge settled down — sunny, upper 60s to upper 70s degrees F.

Highlights included: Cassin’s and Warbling Vireo, Western Tanager, Black-headed Grosbeak, Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, Black-throated Gray Warbler, Purple Martin, Ash-throated Flycatcher, and the usual profusion of Wrentits, California Scrub and Steller’s Jays, and Dark-eyed Juncos.

Here’s the link to the checklist: https://ebird.org/checklist/S184614513.

Thanks to Carolyn Knight of the Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society (SCVAS) and the staff of the Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District (MROSD) for arranging access to this restricted area.

Please also join us on Wednesday, 17 July 2024, from 7-8 pm PDT, as the SCVAS hosts special guest Ivan Phillipsen in the ongoing Speaker Series, as he discusses various aspects of the nature and function of color in bird plumage:

https://scvas.org/event-calendar/speaker-series-ivan-phillipsen
Speaker Series: Ivan Phillipsen — Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society
scvas.org

Andy Melnick for Sheila Raymond, Matthew Dodder, and Kelly Dodder

View/Reply Online (#28329): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28329

Date: 7/1/24 5:30 am
From: Group Notification <noreply...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] South Bay Birds Monthly Reminder #guidelines-notice
Thank you for being a member of South Bay Birds [SBB]. This is our monthly reminder sent to the list with information about the group.

South Bay Birds [SBB] is a list intended for reporting the interesting birds you find in Santa Clara county, in order to help your fellow birders see them as well. We encourage everyone to share where they bird and what they see. Please include the general location (e.g., an eBird hotspot) and, if appropriate, the bird(s) of interest in the subject line, with any additional detail needed in the message body.  If you use eBird, we encourage you to include a link to the eBird trip report that you filed.

This list is maintained by the Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society (https://scvas.org). Their volunteers and funding keep the list running so please consider joining or donating to them. SBB's Lead Admin is Jim Dehnert. Chuq Von Rospach, Brooke Miller, Matthew Dodder and Barry Langdon-Lassagne assist Jim. You can contact the administration team with your questions and concerns at southbaybirds+<owner...>

The home site for this list is https://scvas.org/siliconvalleybirding and you can find out more about us there. To start sending messages to members of this group, send email to <southbaybirds...>

*Available Topic Groups*

There are four topic groups available:

South Bay Birds [SBB] https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/

South Bay Birds (Events) [SBB-Events] https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds-events/

Santa Clara County Birding Facebook Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/110996713065201/
South Bay Birds Discord Server invite code: https://discord.gg/NteQSY3Tn8

Trying to find a location mentioned in SBB? Check out the Self-guided Field Trips map and location descriptions at https://scvas.org/self-guided-field-trips . For salt pond names and descriptions, go to https://scvas.org/salt-ponds-of-santa-clara-county

*Ethical Birding*

The birds we watch should be our primary concern. As birders we need to be sensitive to their needs and not do things that put the birds or their habitat at risk.

We believe all birders should act as ethical birders. Your personal year list or that special photograph could put the bird at risk or cause its nest to fail. Because we expect all birders to act ethically around the birds that bring them joy, we expect that of the birders who are on our list as well. We have written up some ideas of what it means to be an ethical birder, and list links to other resources on ethical birding as well. Please read them and act to put the bird’s needs ahead of your own. If we find out that members of the list are putting birds or their habitat at risk, those members may lose access to the mailing list and its resources.

We also believe that members of the list should treat each other properly. If a list member is found to be attacking or harassing other list members, or engaging in activities that violate the ethical birding code it may affect their future ability to contribute to or subscribe to our lists.

*Acceptable Content*

The primary content for SBB is to report interesting birds you saw and where you saw them ( https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/24065 ).  The objective ( https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/25078 ) is to help other birders interested in the birds you saw to find them themselves.  Please include the general location (e.g., an eBird hotspot) and, if appropriate, the bird(s) of interest in the subject line, with any additional detail needed in the message body.  Please report only Santa Clara County locations -- other counties have their own mailing lists for trip reports.

Occasionally the administrator will post an Advocacy digest -- no more than once a week, and more typically much less often. This digest contains topics that are not typically posted to the list but we feel are of interest to the readers of SBB and are important enough to warrant posting to the wider audience. These messages will be tagged with the word "Advocacy" in the subject so members who aren't interested can delete or filter them if they choose. Topics posted as Advocacy messages typically include updates on important Advocacy activities by Santa Clara Valley Audubon (SCVAS) and SCVAS volunteer activities.

*Unacceptable Content*

Do not disclose information that identifies the location of nesting birds of any species, to minimize stress on the nesting birds and the risk of vandalism or abuse.

We discourage general discussion and questions on South Bay Birds, for that we've created a Facebook group (see below).  If you wish to propose a general-purpose announcement for an Advocacy digest post, please send the proposed text to the administrator (below).

Please do not post notices of upcoming events to SBB. There is a sister list, South Bay Birds (Events) [SBB-Events], that should be used for that purpose. If you are interested in knowing what events are being offered by SCVAS and other county bird-oriented organizations, we encourage you to subscribe to this list (see below).

Please do not post carpooling requests for events to SBB. We request that they go to the Facebook discussion group.

*Unsubscribing from South Bay Birds*

South Bay Birds and Birdwatching in Silicon Valley are affiliated with the Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society (http://www.scvas.org), which offers classes and outings around the county, so if you're interested in learning more about birding in the county or joining other birders in going out birding, they can help you find an outing that matches your interests.

View/Reply Online (#28328): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28328
Mute #guidelines-notice:https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/mutehashtag/guidelines-notice
-=-=-

Date: 6/30/24 11:18 am
From: Aidan Sinha via groups.io <aidansinha...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Shoreline area and Moffett Field 6/29/24
Hi all,
Yesterday my dad and I biked around the Shoreline area and Moffett Field, from the Terminal Blvd. parking lot to Crittenden Marsh. Our first stop was Charleston Slough, where we saw a WILLET foraging on the mudflats. We then moved over to Salt Pond A1, and found the continuing BLACK TERN resting on the pilings. We biked down to Shoreline Lake to search for the Black Oystercatcher (which was refound by Naomi G. on June 28) and Common Loon, but could not find either. I did see my FOY BLACK SKIMMER on the island. We then went along the maintenance road before going back towards Rengstorff House, where I spotted a WHITE-BREASTED NUTHATCH in a tree above the path. After that, we biked towards the kite flying area. At least 5 BURROWING OWLS were in their usual place in the sensitive habitat area - if you go to search for them, please stay on the trail and do not go into the sensitive habitat area. Biking through the kite flying area and towards the Stevens Creek bridge, I made a wrong turn and ended up biking along the tidal marsh nearby. As I was turning around to go back to the Stevens Creek bridge, I heard a single BLACK RAIL calling from the tidal marsh. We then crossed the Stevens Creek bridge and biked along Crittenden Marsh. There were many EARED GREBES (including juveniles) and RUDDY DUCKS present here. In addition, several BROWN PELICANS were present both in Crittenden Marsh and in Salt Pond A2E to the north. We turned around at the 90° bend and headed back towards Shoreline, spotting the BURROWING OWLS still in their usual area. At Shoreline Lake, we found the SURF SCOTER floating along the northern edge of the lake, and I decided to make one last stop at the maintenance road to search for the oystercatcher and loon. As soon as we arrived, I was able to find the BLACK OYSTERCATCHER on the island, along with a BLACK SKIMMER and 4 BROWN PELICANS. I never saw the Common Loon, though others saw it at various times during the day.

Aidan Sinha
San Jose

View/Reply Online (#28327): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28327

Date: 6/29/24 4:20 pm
From: David Zittin via groups.io <dzittin...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Ulistac this morning
Today, Floy and I led a SCVAS field trip to Ulistac with lots of help from Liz Frith. Highlights were the number of woodpeckers and the orioles, both the Hooded Oriole and Bullock's Oriole. Females/young were most numerous. We did see a mature and immature male Hooded Oriole, as well as a mature male Bullock's Oriole. For me, planetary alignment occurred when a Downy Woodpecker landed on a leafless tree with a Hairy Woodpecker. Seeing both of these species together isn't a common event, and it made a great demonstration of the size difference of these two species. We saw a Nuttall's Woodpecker adult feeding an immature. We had some moderately good looks at a pair of vocalizing Red Shoulder Hawk.

Numerous Common Yellowthroat were heard plus at least one Marsh Wren.

Liz posted an eBird checklist at https://ebird.org/checklist/ S184415887 ( https://ebird.org/checklist/S184415887 )

View/Reply Online (#28326): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28326

Date: 6/29/24 2:27 pm
From: Ryan L. via groups.io <ryanbirding...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Ed Levin CP - June 29
This morning I went to Ed Levin County Park to see if I could find the Blue Grosbeak. I couldn’t. A nice lady (who I first met looking for the Painted Redstart at Agnews) told me where I might be able to find it. It was already too hot and the hill was too steep so I didn’t go very far. I found a Lark Sparrow up the trail. In the lawn next to the lake I found Bullock’s Orioles, and three Western Kingbirds (my first of the year!), a lot of Red-winged Blackbirds, and five Great Egrets. The lake was quiet except for two Double-crested Cormorants. I heard one Western Flycatcher near the southeast side of the lake.

Next, I looped the pond over on the Spring Valley side. I saw a female Black-headed Grosbeak, some juvenile Black-eyed Juncos, and more Western Kingbirds. I met a nice pair of women and after conferring we believe we saw four Red-shouldered Hawks soaring over the park, possibly parents with two juveniles.

⛅️ Sunny, 75º F, 37% Hm, 5 mph, AQI 18
☀️⬆️ 5:50 AM ☀️⬇️ 8:31 PM
🌙 Phase: Waning Crescent

https://ebird.org/tripreport/256445

View/Reply Online (#28325): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28325

Date: 6/28/24 4:05 pm
From: Eve Meier via groups.io <eve.m.meier...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Grant Ranch
Hi Everyone!

This morning I birded the ranch house area of Joseph D Grant park.
The *Vermilion
Flycatcher* continues near the wishing well in the parking lot with the
green barn. I think I spotted most of the usual suspects including lots of
singing *Lazuli Buntings*, a family of *Bullock's Orioles*, a pair of *Western
Kingbirds* and one *Lark Sparrow*. One fun sighting was an adult and very
young *Wild Turkey* on the low branches of a choke cherry tree eating the
cherries (the adult bird was anyway). Earlier that morning, I observed *Acorn
Woodpeckers* also taking fruit from this tree and thought that was rather
unusual. I did not spot *Lawrence's Goldfinches* but another birder said
she had seen two near the pond.

Here's the list: https://ebird.org/checklist/S184251929

Happy birding!
Eve Meier (San Jose)

View/Reply Online (#28324): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28324

Date: 6/28/24 3:19 pm
From: Dorothy Johnson via groups.io <dfj6281...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] Calero Creek Trail night walk - Poorwills!
Hi Everyone,

I walked the Calero Creek Trail last night after reading Ray's post. I
started from the Stile Entrance and walked back to the Santa Teresa Creek
crossing. It was here that I heard the first poorwill, quickly followed by
two others, about 9pm. I saw one flying near the top of the ridge. I heard
another one much closer to the houses and parking lot in the field to the
right of the trail about 9:15. It had stopped calling by the time I reached
my car. I counted four total, figuring that the one I saw was one of the
ones calling.

Other highlights, more jackrabbits than I've ever seen at one time, calling
wrentits and quail, and lots of towhees.

Happy birding,
Dorothy Johnson
San Jose

View/Reply Online (#28323): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28323

Date: 6/27/24 5:27 pm
From: Vicki Silvas-Young via groups.io <mrnngwrblr...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Sunnyvale WPCP, 6-5-2024
Hello, South Bay Birders,

Allen Royer, Dan Bloch (thank you for keeping the ebird list), and myself
lead 12 cool-headed birders on a lunchtime stroll around the WPCP. We were
all happy for the breeze that evaporated the sweat from our brows. And, in
spite of the warm weather, 34 species presented themselves to us for
viewing. Red-winged Blackbirds flew by just to show off their red shoulder
patches, a Common Gallinule showed itself for quite a long time, flying
Double-crested Cormorants started a discussion of comparing the differences
between Brandt's and Pelagic, and to, top it off (pun intended) a
California Towhee, singing at the top of his lungs from a telephone pole.
We all agreed that is probably the highest we have ever seen a California
Towhee present itself.

Here is the list for the day https://ebird.org/checklist/S179654781

My apologies for sending this out so late. It has been hiding in "draft."
Happy birding,
Vicki, co-leader

View/Reply Online (#28322): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28322

Date: 6/27/24 5:19 pm
From: Vicki Silvas-Young via groups.io <mrnngwrblr...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] First Day of Summer at Lake Cunningham, 6-23-2024
Hello South Bay Birders,

Last Sunday 14 really cool birders along with leaders Arvind Kumar, Ashok
Jethanandani, Dan Bloch, and myself gathered in the shade near Parking Lot
A to begin a very nice day of birding under a clear sky. The day started
off with a show off of a Red-shouldered Hawk which allowed a discussion of
the differences between the Red-tailed Hawk and the show off. Western
Bluebirds were flycatching in the meadow. We did stop to admire the
various ages of ground squirrels that were running around. Some of the
young ones were pretty cute. At Wood Duck Cove there were Mallards galore
with some hybrids, an adult Green Heron, American Coots with their young,
and some super handsome male Ruddy Ducks. On a small island close to the
shore a couple of adult Green Herons with an immature were seen. A pair of
Pied-billed Grebes trying to ignore their squeaking young were out on the
lake along with a Clarke's grebe. In the Native Garden, California
Towhees, Black Phoebes, California Scrub-jays along with a Nuttall's
Woodpecker, Song Sparrows and some White-breasted Nuthatches were seen,
making the Native Garden a good place to stop and look at/learn the native
plants. Anna's Hummingbirds, Tree Swallows, Barn Swallows, and Northern
Rough-winged Swallows decorated the day. A Great-tailed Grackle, looking a
bit embarrassed, with no tail was seen trying to hide. Wonder how that
happened!
By noon it was getting warm and 29 species were seen, so we called it
quits. Here is the list for the day.
https://ebird.org/checklist/S183350893
Tweet, tweet,
Vicki

View/Reply Online (#28321): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28321

Date: 6/26/24 10:51 pm
From: hacksoncode via groups.io <hacksoncode...>

View/Reply Online (#28320): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28320

Date: 6/26/24 7:09 pm
From: Garrett Lau via groups.io <Garrett.Lau...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] Common Loon
Amazing! There are three Common Loons that can be easily found in the
county. I could tell by the condition of the primaries that the bird at Los
Gatos Creek County Park was different from the others, but I decided to
check on them anyway.

The loon in the Bubb Road pond was sleeping when I left it a few minutes
ago, and now I am looking at the one in Shoreline Lake. The Black Tern is
also still here. It has a few white spots on its face.

Garrett Lau

View/Reply Online (#28319): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28319

Date: 6/26/24 4:49 pm
From: Chris Henry via groups.io <birdingwithchris...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Common Loon

View/Reply Online (#28318): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28318

Date: 6/26/24 1:54 pm
From: Bob Reiling via groups.io <rreiling2...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Continuing Vermillion Flycatcher
All,

This morning several birders saw the continuing male VERMILLION FLYCATCHER in Joseph D. Grant Ranch Park. This marks the third day in a row that the bird was seen in the 9AM time slot southwest of the Ranch House. It was first seen by a female birder (unknown to me) flycatching at the bare top of a tall free located near the drive-over bridge to the ranch house/ranger office at about 8:50 AM. It then flew to a tree at the at “Y” in the paved path/road where it was seen by Raymond. It quickly flew even further southwest (more or less in the direction of the left
(southern most) branch of the “Y” in road) Where Raymond once again re-found the bird on reddish-brown plants on the far side of the entrance road photo). It was last seen flying northeast and out of sight at about 9:20 AM.

I should also note that the flower garden bird bath is once again working and it appears that the pond nearby is once again getting water.

Take care,

Bob Reiling

View/Reply Online (#28317): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/28317