ShastaBirders
Received From Subject
5/16/18 8:03 am Chuck Woodrum <cpwoodrum...> [ShastaBirders.io] Burney Backyard - Addendum
5/16/18 7:53 am Chuck Woodrum <cpwoodrum...> [ShastaBirders.io] Burney Backyard
5/13/18 1:03 pm Bob & Carol Yutzy, Shasta, Ca <boby...> [ShastaBirders.io] Purple Martin sightings the last couple days.
5/7/18 9:34 pm Bob & Carol Yutzy, Shasta, Ca <boby...> [ShastaBirders.io] New photos loaded into Yutzy Wildlife pix 2018 folder
5/7/18 2:48 pm Brewbird <michele31...> [ShastaBirders.io] Costa’s Hummingbird
5/6/18 10:07 pm Bob & Carol Yutzy, Shasta, Ca <boby...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Burney Backyard
5/6/18 3:46 pm Sheila Rogers <sheilarogers...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Burney Backyard
5/6/18 2:20 pm Chuck Woodrum <cpwoodrum...> [ShastaBirders.io] Burney Backyard
5/6/18 8:03 am Chuck Woodrum <cpwoodrum...> [ShastaBirders.io] Burney Backyard
4/27/18 11:02 am Barbara Peck <bapeck8...> [ShastaBirders.io] Calliope
4/25/18 7:29 am Chuck Woodrum <cpwoodrum...> [ShastaBirders.io] Burney Backyard

Back to top
Date: 5/16/18 8:03 am
From: Chuck Woodrum <cpwoodrum...>
Subject: [ShastaBirders.io] Burney Backyard - Addendum
Several Calliope Hummingbirds have been spotted at the feeders. Seems
they are able to run the Anna's blockade on occasion.

Chuck Woodrum
Burney  96013

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#7502): https://groups.io/g/ShastaBirders/message/7502
View All Messages In Topic (1): https://groups.io/g/ShastaBirders/topic/19246531
New Topic: https://groups.io/g/ShastaBirders/post

Group Home: https://groups.io/g/ShastaBirders
Contact Group Owner: ShastaBirders+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 5/16/18 7:53 am
From: Chuck Woodrum <cpwoodrum...>
Subject: [ShastaBirders.io] Burney Backyard
We spotted a Lazuli Bunting in the yard yesterday afternoon.  They
certainly add color to the yard given the abundance of Pine Siskin
(30-40 at feeders yesterday) and female House and Purple finch.

A pair of Cassin's Finch stopped by for food and water.  They hung
around most of the day.

A pair of Western Tanager  put in an appearance now and then.

Evening and Black-headed Grosbeaks are common.

The House Wren has taken over the house once occupied by a pair of
Red-breasted Nuthatches.  He flits around, singing for a mate from any
convenient perch.  The RBNU's haven't been seen since evicted.

Tree Swallows have made the new birdhouse their home.  The female is
busy moving nesting materials into the house; the male sits on one of
our radio antenna's and watches. (The last sentence is not intended as
social commentary.)

Chuck Woodrum
Burney  96013

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#7501): https://groups.io/g/ShastaBirders/message/7501
View All Messages In Topic (1): https://groups.io/g/ShastaBirders/topic/19246441

Date: 5/13/18 1:03 pm
From: Bob & Carol Yutzy, Shasta, Ca <boby...>
Subject: [ShastaBirders.io] Purple Martin sightings the last couple days.
Hello all,

As many of you know Purple Martins can often be a tough bird to find in
the county.  Over the last couple days John Muegge and Matt Gould have
found two probable breeding pairs in fairly accessible locations.

The sites are:

1. Bailey Cove on the way to Holiday Harbor at Shasta Lake.  Park in the
large parking lot and walk to the nearby campground. Behind campsite #3
(be courteous to any camper there) there is a gate and trail.  Follow
the trail to an isthmus and the birds were near the lake edge high in
the pines on the edge.  The birds might be see-able flying around from
the Bailey Cove parking lot looking South back towards the isthmus.
They also might be scope-able flying around looking North from the I-5
rest area before the Holiday Harbor exit.

2. At Baum Lake walking around past the dam on the Pacific Crest Trail
heading North along the lakeshore a short distance.  Check any dead
snags along the edge and check the treetops for Martins. One might be
able to see them from the Baum Lake parking and picnic area lot by
looking way up along the river at the pine tree tops.

Keep us posted one way or the other if you go looking.

Bob

--
Bob & Carol Yutzy, Shasta, CA

--
*Bob & Carol Yutzy*
*Shasta, CA*

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#7500): https://groups.io/g/ShastaBirders/message/7500
View All Messages In Topic (1): https://groups.io/g/ShastaBirders/topic/19194633

Date: 5/7/18 9:34 pm
From: Bob & Carol Yutzy, Shasta, Ca <boby...>
Subject: [ShastaBirders.io] New photos loaded into Yutzy Wildlife pix 2018 folder
Hello all,
I loaded some new photos into the folder Yutzy Wildlife pix 2018 of a beautiful displaying Tom Turkey in our yard and of an intermediate phase Swainson's Hawk (one of a pair) we had on our 4/30/2018 Jelly to Millville Hawk Count.  The folder was near the end of the photo albums when I checked for it.
Bob
--
*Bob & Carol Yutzy*
*Shasta, CA*

Back to top
Date: 5/7/18 2:48 pm
From: Brewbird <michele31...>
Subject: [ShastaBirders.io] Costa’s Hummingbird
Hi all,
Today around 9:45am, by complete surprise, I had an adult male Costa’s Hummingbird feeding on Ceanothus along Crystal Creek Rd. After an early morning hike to Whiskeytown Falls (which was loaded with warblers), I was driving back down towards Hwy 299 and caught a glimpse of an interesting hummer. I was able to pull over and walk back up a little to find the Costa’s flitting around a blooming ceanothus on the west side of the road. This was not too far north of the intersection for the road that takes you to the campground. No long lens with me today since the hike was a workout, not a leisurely hike. Very pretty and a new Shasta County bird!

Michele Swartout
Red Bluff

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#7498): https://groups.io/g/ShastaBirders/message/7498
View All Messages In Topic (1): https://groups.io/g/ShastaBirders/topic/18773473

Date: 5/6/18 10:07 pm
From: Bob & Carol Yutzy, Shasta, Ca <boby...>
Subject: Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Burney Backyard
Neat to hear Chuck.

Bob

Bob & Carol Yutzy, Shasta, CA

--
*Bob & Carol Yutzy*
*Shasta, CA*

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#7497): https://groups.io/g/ShastaBirders/message/7497
View All Messages In Topic (4): https://groups.io/g/ShastaBirders/topic/18581188

Date: 5/6/18 3:46 pm
From: Sheila Rogers <sheilarogers...>
I put up BB house this year. I have rented it out ,Mr & Mrs Blue & 5 eggs which have hatched...lots of activity...fun too watch
Sheila

[...]

-----
No virus found in this message.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#7496): https://groups.io/g/ShastaBirders/message/7496
View All Messages In Topic (3): https://groups.io/g/ShastaBirders/topic/18581188

Date: 5/6/18 2:20 pm
From: Chuck Woodrum <cpwoodrum...>

View/Reply Online (#7495): https://groups.io/g/ShastaBirders/message/7495
View All Messages In Topic (2): https://groups.io/g/ShastaBirders/topic/18581188

Date: 5/6/18 8:03 am
From: Chuck Woodrum <cpwoodrum...>
The migration continues up the mountain.  Chipping Sparrows showed up on
the 3rd.  Yesterday, for the first time in 3 years, Red Crossbills were
spotted at the feeders.  White-crowns have continued their migration and
disappeared until September.

Chuck Woodrum
Burney  96013

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#7494): https://groups.io/g/ShastaBirders/message/7494
View All Messages In Topic (1): https://groups.io/g/ShastaBirders/topic/18581188

Date: 4/27/18 11:02 am
From: Barbara Peck <bapeck8...>
Subject: [ShastaBirders.io] Calliope
We have a male calliope coming to our feeder in our yard today!

Barbara Peck

Anderson, CA

Back to top
Date: 4/25/18 7:29 am
From: Chuck Woodrum <cpwoodrum...>
A pair of Red-breasted Nuthatches have taken up residence in one of our
birdhouses.  For several days we have watched them gather nesting materials.

Chuck Woodrum
Burney  96013

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#7492): https://groups.io/g/ShastaBirders/message/7492
View All Messages In Topic (1): https://groups.io/g/ShastaBirders/topic/18066153
New Topic: https://groups.io/g/ShastaBirders/post

Group Home: https://groups.io/g/ShastaBirders
Contact Group Owner: ShastaBirders+<owner...>

Join us on Facebook!