ShastaBirders
Received From Subject
8/20/18 11:20 am L Pittman <pittmanl...> [ShastaBirders.io] Central Valley Birding Symposium Nov. 15-18, 2018
8/18/18 4:42 pm Karen Scheuermann <karens2020...> [ShastaBirders.io] Roebuck Bay
8/18/18 7:30 am adamfam147 <adamfam...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Help with call ID
8/17/18 2:59 pm Dan Greaney via Groups.Io <greaneys=<yahoo.com...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Help with call ID
8/17/18 1:17 pm Barbara Peck <bapeck8...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Help with call ID
8/17/18 11:19 am <wrrnews...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Help with call ID
8/17/18 10:18 am Brooke McDonald <bmm11...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Help with call ID
8/17/18 10:08 am <wrrnews...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Help with call ID
8/17/18 9:35 am Dan Greaney via Groups.Io <greaneys=<yahoo.com...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Help with call ID
8/17/18 8:38 am <wrrnews...> [ShastaBirders.io] Help with call ID
8/13/18 12:06 pm Marta Sullivan <martasullivan...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Begging cowbird and hooded oriole
8/13/18 11:22 am Barbara Peck <bapeck8...> [ShastaBirders.io] Mockingbird
8/10/18 1:15 pm Barbara Peck <bapeck8...> [ShastaBirders.io] Begging cowbird and hooded oriole
7/27/18 3:35 pm L Pittman <pittmanl...> [ShastaBirders.io] 2018 Central Valley Birding Symposium, Nov. 15-18. --Correction--
7/26/18 9:56 pm L Pittman <pittmanl...> [ShastaBirders.io] 2018 Central Valley Birding Symposium, November 15-18, 2018

Back to top
Date: 8/20/18 11:20 am
From: L Pittman <pittmanl...>
Subject: [ShastaBirders.io] Central Valley Birding Symposium Nov. 15-18, 2018

The Central Valley Bird Club will be hosting the 22nd annual Central Valley
Birding Symposium Nov. 15-18, 2018, at the Stockton Hilton Hotel in
Stockton, CA. The Great Central Valley, in the heart of California and the
Pacific Flyway, is uniquely situated for excellent birding. Please join us
as the CVBS again celebrates the best of birding in the Central Valley!

The CVBS kicks off with a scrumptious hors d'oeuvres buffet & no host bar on
Thursday night, followed by one of our favorite keynotes, outstanding
photographer, birder, and presenter, Ed Harper, with his program on
"Northern Delights".

Friday night's keynote program "Bird Migration: The More We Learn, The Less
We Know" will be presented by Ed Pandolfino.

Saturday night's keynote program, "The Trade Off" will be presented by John
Kricher. In this lively and thought-provoking presentation, he will
contrast the lives, ecology, and natural history of long-distance migrant
passerine birds with bird species that are permanent residents of lowland
tropical forests.

Informative and entertaining workshops include: "History of Field
Idenfication" with Joe Morlan, "eBird, Bird Identification, and Alternative
Facts: eGads!" by Kimball Garrett, a specimen workshop, and an update on
Central Valley bird conservation and research programs. Build your skills
at these workshops: Digiscoping, Image Editing, Bird Sketching, Beginning
Birding and Carving.

Field trips, offered Friday, Saturday and Sunday, always turn up exciting
birds. Add in the entertaining and educational Bird ID Panel, the wonderful
selection of optics, art and gifts at the Birder's Market plus the
camaraderie of hundreds of like-minded folks, and you know you'll have a
good time! There's something for everyone interested in birds. Come and join
us to bird, learn, and just have fun!

To look over the schedule of events, go to:
http://www.cvbirds.org/events/symposium/

Registration begins August 24, 2018.

CVBS Steering Committee

<http://www.cvbirds.org> www.cvbirds.org

Linda Pittman

Wilton, CA

Back to top
Date: 8/18/18 4:42 pm
From: Karen Scheuermann <karens2020...>
Subject: [ShastaBirders.io] Roebuck Bay
Anyone been there?
I w
atched a PBS program called "Outback, Return of the Wet" and my heart
skipped a beat. The intertidal zones are HUGE and loaded with amazing
invertebrates and 24 species of waders. Hope someone has been there
in person. It's at the top of my bucket list.

--
Karen Scheuermann, Wildlife Rehabilitation Permit holder, Tehama Wild Care,
Cottonwood, CA

Date: 8/18/18 7:30 am
From: adamfam147 <adamfam...>
Subject: Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Help with call ID
Could it be a catbird?
> On Aug 16, 2018, at 9:00 PM, <wrrnews...> wrote:
>
> Heard this call in neighbor's tree in east Redding last couple afternoons. Could not locate the bird. Anyone know what this is? Thanks
> (Hopefully the file-attach worked...never tried this before).
> Bill Ruess
> <Unknown Bird Call.mp3>

Back to top
Date: 8/17/18 2:59 pm
From: Dan Greaney via Groups.Io <greaneys=<yahoo.com...>
Ah--thanks, Barbara!  I'd heard your mockingbird but failed to connect the two recordings!Dan

This is a mockingbird. It’s the same call I posted Monday when I recorded a mockingbird giving this alarm call due to a Cooper’s hawk being in the tree.  Barbara Peck Anderson

Date: 8/17/18 1:17 pm
From: Barbara Peck <bapeck8...>
This is a mockingbird. It’s the same call I posted Monday when I recorded a mockingbird giving this alarm call due to a Cooper’s hawk being in the tree.
Barbara Peck
Anderson
> On Aug 16, 2018, at 9:00 PM, <wrrnews...> wrote:
>
> Heard this call in neighbor's tree in east Redding last couple afternoons. Could not locate the bird. Anyone know what this is? Thanks
> (Hopefully the file-attach worked...never tried this before).
> Bill Ruess
>
> <Unknown Bird Call.mp3>

Back to top
Date: 8/17/18 11:19 am
From: <wrrnews...>
Brooke -

Thanks much.  Sounds just like it.  Never heard a Mocker do this before.  Not sure what he was distressed about;  haven't seen Mr Cooper here for a couple weeks, and other birds weren't freaked out.

Back to top
Date: 8/17/18 10:18 am
From: Brooke McDonald <bmm11...>
Northern Mockingbird

https://www.xeno-canto.org/316202

On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 10:08 AM, <wrrnews...> wrote:

> Dan - Thanks. A distressed bird sounds like a possibility. Just doesn't
> match anything I've ever heard here. Maybe a stranded, hungry juvenile?
> We have lots of grey squirrels, and they sound different. I'm hoping it
> will come back and I can get a visual on it, or that someone in the group
> here will have an idea.
>
> Bill

Back to top
Date: 8/17/18 10:08 am
From: <wrrnews...>

Date: 8/17/18 9:35 am
From: Dan Greaney via Groups.Io <greaneys=<yahoo.com...>
Bill,Usually when a cry continues like that I think squirrel, but your's sounds to me like a bird in distress, and somebody else is going to have to take a stab at what bird it is.  Good luck!Dan

Back to top

Date: 8/13/18 12:06 pm
From: Marta Sullivan <martasullivan...>
Subject: Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Begging cowbird and hooded oriole
Did you tell the oriole not to feed it?

Marta

Back to top
Date: 8/13/18 11:22 am
From: Barbara Peck <bapeck8...>
Subject: [ShastaBirders.io] Mockingbird
Hi,

Here's a recording of a repetitive note by a mockingbird as an apparent
alarm call about an Cooper's hawk in the same tree. This is posted on
ebird.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47826286

Barbara Peck

Anderson, CA

Back to top
Date: 8/10/18 1:15 pm
From: Barbara Peck <bapeck8...>
Hello,

I have had a continuing male hooded oriole coming to my hummingbird feeder
and trees in my yard. Today a juvenile cowbird was begging from a post just
two feet from the oriole, facing the oriole, and at the same height. Sorry,
but my photos on eBird show each bird not both in one photo. I have
suspected this for at least a couple of weeks but hadn't been able to
confirm this.

I also have a male hooded oriole with an immature hooded oriole that I have
seen being fed by the adult. And on one recent date I saw two males.

Here's my eBird list with the photos.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47764885

Barbara Peck

Back to top
Date: 7/27/18 3:35 pm
From: L Pittman <pittmanl...>
Subject: [ShastaBirders.io] 2018 Central Valley Birding Symposium, Nov. 15-18. --Correction--
My original post last night contained an error in the title of the Friday
keynote presentation. Please see the corrected information below:

The Central Valley Bird Club will be hosting the 22nd annual Central Valley
Birding Symposium Nov. 15-18, 2018, at the Stockton Hilton Hotel in
Stockton, CA. The Great Central Valley, in the heart of California and the
Pacific Flyway, is uniquely situated for excellent birding. Please join us
as the CVBS again celebrates the best of birding in the Central Valley!
Come meet the board and staff members! Reconnect with old friends and meet
new ones!

The CVBS kicks off with a scrumptious hors d'oeuvres buffet & no host bar on
Thursday night, followed by one of our favorite keynotes, outstanding
photographer, birder, and presenter, Ed Harper, with his program on
"Northern Delights".

Friday night's keynote program "Bird Migration: The More We Learn, The Less
We Know" will be presented by Ed Pandolfino.

Saturday night's keynote program, "The Trade Off" will be presented by John
Kricher. In this lively and thought-provoking presentation, he will
contrast the lives, ecology, and natural history of long-distance migrant
passerine birds with bird species that are permanent residents of lowland
tropical forests.

Informative and entertaining workshops include: "History of Field
Idenfication" with Joe Morlan, "eBird, Bird Identification, and Alternative
Facts: eGads!" by Kimball Garrett, and an update on Central Valley bird
conservation and research programs. Build your skills at workshops:
Digiscoping (Clay Taylor), Image Editing (Bob Steele), Bird Sketching (Keith
Hansen), Beginning Birding (Sal Salerno) and Carving (Jim Burcio).

Date: 7/26/18 9:56 pm
From: L Pittman <pittmanl...>
Subject: [ShastaBirders.io] 2018 Central Valley Birding Symposium, November 15-18, 2018

The Central Valley Bird Club will be hosting the 22nd annual Central Valley
Birding Symposium Nov. 15-18, 2018, at the Stockton Hilton Hotel in
Stockton, CA. The Great Central Valley, in the heart of California and the
Pacific Flyway, is uniquely situated for excellent birding. Please join us
as the CVBS again celebrates the best of birding in the Central Valley!
Come meet the board and staff members! Reconnect with old friends and meet
new ones!

The CVBS kicks off with a scrumptious hors d'oeuvres buffet & no host bar on
Thursday night, followed by one of our favorite keynotes, outstanding
photographer, birder, and presenter, Ed Harper, with his program on
"Northern Delights".

Friday night's keynote program "Bird Migration: The More We Know, The Less
[...]

www.cvbirds.org <http://www.cvbirds.org>

Linda Pittman

Wilton, CA