ShastaBirders
Received From Subject
11/7/18 7:10 am Larry Jordan <thelarryjordan...> [ShastaBirders.io] Rare triple hybrid warbler reported by Cornell Lab
11/4/18 5:40 pm Kenneth Able <kennethpable...> [ShastaBirders.io] Fall River Valley today
11/4/18 11:25 am Barbara Peck <bapeck8...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Nashville? plus white-throat
11/4/18 9:57 am Steve via Groups.Io <kkona3=<yahoo.com...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Nashville? plus white-throat
11/4/18 9:45 am Steve via Groups.Io <kkona3=<yahoo.com...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Nashville? plus white-throat
11/2/18 10:19 pm Bill Oliver <wwoliver9...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Nashville? plus white-throat
11/2/18 7:56 pm Barbara Peck <bapeck8...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Nashville? plus white-throat
11/2/18 4:39 pm Bruce Deuel <bdeuel...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Nashville? plus white-throat
11/2/18 4:06 pm Barbara Peck <bapeck8...> [ShastaBirders.io] Nashville? plus white-throat
11/1/18 5:53 pm Bob & Carol Yutzy, Shasta, Ca <boby...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] What Duck?
11/1/18 3:00 pm egiesker via Groups.Io <egiesker=<aim.com...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] What Duck?
11/1/18 2:58 pm egiesker via Groups.Io <egiesker=<aim.com...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] What Duck?
11/1/18 2:33 pm Joe Morlan <jmorlan...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] What Duck?
11/1/18 12:38 pm Kat Camplin <rompingdogs...> [ShastaBirders.io] Help with logging Bird Behavior at Zooniverse
11/1/18 10:03 am Bruce Deuel <bdeuel...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] What Duck?
11/1/18 6:55 am Larry Jordan <thelarryjordan...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] What Duck?
10/31/18 3:20 pm Ernie Giesker <egiesker...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] What Duck?
10/30/18 9:06 pm Bruce Deuel <bdeuel...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] What Duck?
10/30/18 8:37 pm Ernie Giesker <egiesker...> [ShastaBirders.io] What Duck?
10/29/18 6:07 pm Bob & Carol Yutzy, Shasta, Ca <boby...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Lewis's Woodpeckers
10/29/18 4:46 pm Ken Bachman <ken.bachman...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Lewis's Woodpeckers
10/29/18 12:42 pm Larry Jordan <thelarryjordan...> [ShastaBirders.io] Lewis's Woodpeckers
10/29/18 12:25 pm Larry Jordan <thelarryjordan...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Magnolia Warbler - yesterday
10/28/18 8:26 am Bob & Carol Yutzy, Shasta, Ca <boby...> [ShastaBirders.io] Magnolia Warbler - yesterday
10/28/18 7:31 am Larry Jordan <thelarryjordan...> [ShastaBirders.io] Fall River Yesterday
10/27/18 6:06 pm Dan Greaney via Groups.Io <greaneys=<yahoo.com...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] warbler hybrid
10/27/18 2:19 pm Bob & Carol Yutzy, Shasta, Ca <boby...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] warbler hybrid
10/27/18 1:53 pm John Sterling <jsterling...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] warbler hybrid
10/27/18 1:39 pm Dan Greaney via Groups.Io <greaneys=<yahoo.com...> [ShastaBirders.io] warbler hybrid
10/22/18 3:01 pm Ellen Vigna <Evigna...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Junco
10/21/18 8:36 pm Karen Scheuermann <karens2020...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Acorn cache in our bluebird nest box
10/21/18 8:34 pm Karen Scheuermann <karens2020...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Acorn cache in our bluebird nest box
10/21/18 8:31 pm Bruce Deuel <bdeuel...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Acorn cache in our bluebird nest box
10/21/18 2:53 pm newtster24 <gbstacey70...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Acorn cache in our bluebird nest box
10/21/18 2:05 pm darliss60 via Groups.Io <darliss60=<yahoo.com...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Acorn cache in our bluebird nest box
10/21/18 1:16 pm newtster24 <gbstacey70...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Acorn cache in our bluebird nest box
10/21/18 1:05 pm Dee Sardoch <deesar...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Acorn cache in our bluebird nest box
10/21/18 12:50 pm newtster24 <gbstacey70...> [ShastaBirders.io] Acorn cache in our bluebird nest box
10/21/18 11:18 am Barbara Peck <bapeck8...> [ShastaBirders.io] White-throat
10/20/18 12:18 pm Bruce Deuel <bdeuel...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] New fall arrivals
10/20/18 8:28 am newtster24 <gbstacey70...> [ShastaBirders.io] New fall arrivals
10/19/18 10:06 pm Bob & Carol Yutzy, Shasta, Ca <boby...> [ShastaBirders.io] rare Bird Alert- Palm Warbler today at the Sewer Ponds
10/18/18 10:54 am Barbara Peck <bapeck8...> [ShastaBirders.io] Junco
10/18/18 8:57 am Brooke McDonald <bmm11...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Central Valley Birding Symposium, November 15-19, 2018

Back to top
Date: 11/7/18 7:10 am
From: Larry Jordan <thelarryjordan...>
Subject: [ShastaBirders.io] Rare triple hybrid warbler reported by Cornell Lab
I just received an email with the very interesting report of a triple hybrid warbler in Pennsylvania. Here is a link to the press release: https://mailchi.mp/cornell/release-rare-triple-hybrid-warbler-discovered

Back to top
Date: 11/4/18 5:40 pm
From: Kenneth Able <kennethpable...>
Subject: [ShastaBirders.io] Fall River Valley today
I spent most of the day in the valley, including Rat Farm, McArthur Swamp,
Fall River Mills, Fall River Lake, Glenburn, Island Rd., Horr Rd.,Eastman
Lake, and the McArthur-Glenburn Rd.

In general, waterfowl were scarce. How much this has to do with hunting
pressure, I can't say, but I have the sense that except for bufflehead, few
diving ducks have arrived yet. Geese are largely absent in accessible
areas. Most rice ponds are dry, but there are some currently good ones
along the McArthur Glenburn Rd. between McArthur and the skating pond. One
group of such ponds held an amazing 4500 green-winged teal (conservative
est.). I searched them pretty thoroughly and could find not a single
Eurasian in the bunch. Two common loons on Fall R. Lake, a horned grebe on
Big Lake, two white pelicans soaring over McArthur Swamp, and a female
red-br. merganser on Eastman Lake were about the only other interesting
water birds.

Rice ponds along the McArthur-Glenburn Rd. and on Island Rd. N or Horr Rd.
held quite a few shorebirds. Approximate totals: killdeeer 60; greater
yellowlegs 96+; least sandpiper 24; dunlin 130; long-billed dowitcher 350.
(A semipalmated plover was on the Pittville farm ponds in LAS.)

Early indications are that this may be a good winter for northern shrikes
and rough-legs. I saw a shrike hanging around the parking lot at the end
of Rat Farm Rd., and another in Lassen Co. on my way home. Eleven
rough-legs at Rat Farm-McArthur Swamp is an absolute minimum count. Hawks
were soaring everywhere. The interesting, very black red-tailed hawk that
spent last winter on Island Rd. near its intersection with the
Glenburn-Dana road is back.

Enjoy,

Ken Able

Back to top
Date: 11/4/18 11:25 am
From: Barbara Peck <bapeck8...>
Subject: Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Nashville? plus white-throat
Hi Steve and all,

Yes, Nashville’s definitely pass through. The interesting thing about the Nashville in my yard was a white throat rather than a yellow throat, a first year bird, but unusually bright yellow too.

In the early 1980’s, there was at least one day where an oak behind the Dept of Public Health on Breslauer had literally a 100 Nashville’s in the spring. It must have been a warbler fallout day. This was when I was a novice birder and didn’t know how special this actually was. I just knew it was wonderful. There were always many, many Bullock’s orioles in the trees in spring then also back of Public Health. It was a great place that had access all the way down to the river, but no longer has that access.

Barbara Peck

Anderson, CA

Date: 11/4/18 9:57 am
From: Steve via Groups.Io <kkona3=<yahoo.com...>

| |

| Ooops.  I've attached the wrong photos.  That was my MacGillivray's.  Here's my Nashville (photographed at Turtle Bay).
Health and happiness to you and yours... Steve
"It matters not how long you live, but how well you live."(Spend your "dash" wisely.)

| |

| | Yahoo Mail Stationery |

On Sunday, November 4, 2018, 9:44:30 AM PST, Steve <kkona3...> wrote:

| |

| Hi Barbara,
I had what I believed to be a Nashville Warbler stuck in my garage a short time ago.  They do pass through here.  Here are some photos:
Health and happiness to you and yours... Steve
"It matters not how long you live, but how well you live."(Spend your "dash" wisely.)

| |

| | Yahoo Mail Stationery |

On Friday, November 2, 2018, 7:56:13 PM PDT, Barbara Peck <bapeck8...> wrote:

Super, thanks Bruce.

Barbara Peck

Anderson, CA

Date: 11/4/18 9:45 am
From: Steve via Groups.Io <kkona3=<yahoo.com...>

| |

Date: 11/2/18 10:19 pm
From: Bill Oliver <wwoliver9...>
Hi Barbara,
I got a fleeting glimpse of what I believed was a female/immature Nashville
Warbler yesterday in a live oak in my yard. It may have been attracted to
the heavily fruiting fan palms that have attracted many House Finches and
Yellow-rumped Warblers (and my dog, also) as the fruit is quite sweet. If
correct that would be a fist for my yard in 33 years.

On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 4:06 PM Barbara Peck <bapeck8...> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I believe I had a Nashville warbler in the yard this morning. The problem
> is the white throat. I have seen what seemed to be a Nashville in all
> other respects once before in fall with this problem white throat. I would
> appreciate any feedback. There are 3 somewhat okay but not gratifying
> photos.
>
> Here’s my description:
>
> Very active, flitty warbler. Complete white eye ring. Head gray. White
> throat (not yellow). Breast and belly yellow, area around legs and vent
> white. Lower mandible gray. All fits Nashville except white throat but I
> see hatching year females can have whitish throats. Seems very bright
> yellow for a female. Breast feathers are loose as expected for hatching
> year bird.
>

> Here’s my ebird list.
>
> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49628692
>

> I also had a tan-striped white throated sparrow that I believe is a
> different individual that one in my yard on 10/21/18.
>
> This is the ebird list from 10/21/18 for photo comparison:
> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49345634
>

> Barbara Peck
>
> Anderson, CA

Back to top
Date: 11/2/18 7:56 pm
From: Barbara Peck <bapeck8...>
Super, thanks Bruce.

Barbara Peck

Anderson, CA

[ https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49628692 | https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49628692 ]

I also had a tan-striped white throated sparrow that I believe is a different individual that one in my yard on 10/21/18.

This is the ebird list from 10/21/18 for photo comparison: [ https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49345634 | https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49345634 ]

Barbara Peck

Anderson, CA

Back to top

Date: 11/1/18 5:53 pm
From: Bob & Carol Yutzy, Shasta, Ca <boby...>
Subject: Re: [ShastaBirders.io] What Duck?
Generally attached photos are not accepted in most any group organization pr club. Add your photo to the photo section of the group and then in your email refer to your folder name and then the exact name of your photo.

A pain but things can’t be made easy, can they?

Bob Yutzy
Redding

Sent from Bob's iPhone

> On Nov 1, 2018, at 2:59 PM, egiesker via Groups.Io <egiesker=<aim.com...> wrote:
>
> Your photo didn't make it, please retry, thanks, Ernie

Back to top
Date: 11/1/18 3:00 pm
From: egiesker via Groups.Io <egiesker=<aim.com...>

Date: 11/1/18 2:58 pm
From: egiesker via Groups.Io <egiesker=<aim.com...>
Thanks for the reply and the tip on where to get more confused...

Most people get confused about duck plumages.  The "eclipse" plumage that male ducks go into in summer is actually the definitive alternate plumage, which in most birds is what we call breeding plumage.  The handsome plumage of male ducks we call breeding plumage is really their definitive basic.  Very confusing, but if you want to understand it, read Peter Pyle's explanation in his Identification Guide to North American Birds, Part II, Anatidae to Alcidae.  This is the reference most folks use to talk about bird molts and plumages, but you can also just google duck plumages.  That could get even more confusing, though!
Cheers,
Bruce

Date: 11/1/18 2:33 pm
From: Joe Morlan <jmorlan...>
On Thu, 1 Nov 2018 13:03:20 -0400 (EDT), "Bruce Deuel"
<bdeuel...> wrote:

>Most people get confused about duck plumages. The "eclipse" plumage that male ducks go into in summer is actually the definitive alternate plumage, which in most birds is what we call breeding plumage. The handsome plumage of male ducks we call breeding plumage is really their definitive basic. Very confusing, but if you want to understand it, read Peter Pyle's explanation in his Identification Guide to North American Birds, Part II, Anatidae to Alcidae. This is the reference most folks use to talk about bird molts and plumages, but you can also just google duck plumages. That could get even more confusing, though!

Unfortunately different authorities use different terms. Pyle interprets
these plumages differently from previous publications. I wrote a paper on
the subject in "Birding" a few years ago: What, if anything is "Eclipse"
plumage?" Here is a PDF...

https://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/Birding%2009-6_Morlan.pdf

Even deeper into the weeds is Howell's "Molt in North American Birds
(Peterson Reference Guides)." The longest and most complex section is on
waterfowl.
--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA

Back to top
Date: 11/1/18 12:38 pm
From: Kat Camplin <rompingdogs...>
Subject: [ShastaBirders.io] Help with logging Bird Behavior at Zooniverse
Zooniverse is a way for scientists to get help from anyone with a computer to log data. The most recent study by the Cornell Lab of Ornithology is looking at bird interactions at feeders. You can create an account and help log as much or as little as you wish, there isn't a minimum requirement.

Announcement email below.

Kat

***

Hi there,

Come watch feeder birds battle it out in one of the latest Zooniverse project, Battling Birds ( https://www.zooniverse.org/projects/canagica/battling-birds?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_campaign=announce1nov2018 ).

Battling Birds is a part of a larger project that the Cornell Lab of Ornithology is co-developing with viewers called the Birds Cams Lab in which scientists and viewers work together to create scientific investigations.

The main goal of Battling Birds is to better understand birds and their behavior at feeders. It’s known that birds interact with each other, but there are still questions left unanswered about what may influence these interactions.

We have thousands of clips from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology’s FeederWatch Cam ready for you to watch and tag. But don’t just classify the data! Join us on the forums to ask questions, discuss what you are seeing, and be a part of the community.

To get started, head over to www.zooniverse.org/projects/ canagica/battling-birds ( https://www.zooniverse.org/projects/canagica/battling-birds?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_campaign=announce1nov2018 ) and either start classifying clips or join in the discussion on the forums ( https://www.zooniverse.org/projects/canagica/battling-birds/talk ).

See you there!

Grant & the Zooniverse Team

Back to top
Date: 11/1/18 10:03 am
From: Bruce Deuel <bdeuel...>

Date: 11/1/18 6:55 am
From: Larry Jordan <thelarryjordan...>

Date: 10/31/18 3:20 pm
From: Ernie Giesker <egiesker...>
Thanks for the information, interesting. Have a great day, Ernie

On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 9:06 PM Bruce Deuel <bdeuel...> wrote:

> Hi Ernie,
> Northern Shovelers are about the latest of all dabbling ducks to come out
> of the eclipse plumage, where males enter a cryptic mode to get them
> through the period of flightlessness when they molt all their wing feathers
> at the same time. It's pretty common to see these funky looking shovelers
> this late in the season.
> Cheers,
> Bruce Deuel
> Red Bluff
> ------------------------------

Back to top

Date: 10/30/18 8:37 pm
From: Ernie Giesker <egiesker...>

Date: 10/29/18 6:07 pm
From: Bob & Carol Yutzy, Shasta, Ca <boby...>
Subject: Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Lewis's Woodpeckers
Wowee Zowee - super pix. Not an easy bird to get good ones - either.

ps shortly after you said no Maggy, John Luther called to ask if anyone had seen the bird again. Saved him a chase.

Thnx,
Bob

Sent from Bob's iPhone

> On Oct 29, 2018, at 12:42 PM, Larry Jordan <thelarryjordan...> wrote:
>
> Anyone that is looking for Lewis's Woodpeckers can be certain to find them on Oak Run Road East of Palo Cedro. Yesterday, I even saw one between Palo Cedro and Old 44 Drive turn off to Millville. The majority of the Lewis's Woodpeckers however, are about 10 miles or so East of Palo Cedro, just before the road begins to rise and you get to the high tension power lines. They hang out in and around the huge white oaks on both sides of the road. As you drive East, you can see them flying above the trees, flycatching and sometimes on the power poles.<LEWOonPoleX630.jpeg><LEWOx1000.jpeg><LEWOinFlightx500.jpeg>

Back to top
Date: 10/29/18 4:46 pm
From: Ken Bachman <ken.bachman...>
Great pictures Larry!

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 12:42 PM Larry Jordan <thelarryjordan...>
wrote:

> Anyone that is looking for Lewis's Woodpeckers can be certain to find them
> on Oak Run Road East of Palo Cedro. Yesterday, I even saw one between Palo
> Cedro and Old 44 Drive turn off to Millville. The majority of the Lewis's
> Woodpeckers however, are about 10 miles or so East of Palo Cedro, just
> before the road begins to rise and you get to the high tension power lines.
> They hang out in and around the huge white oaks on both sides of the road.
> As you drive East, you can see them flying above the trees, flycatching and
> sometimes on the power poles.

To get back on your feet, miss two car payments

Back to top
Date: 10/29/18 12:42 pm
From: Larry Jordan <thelarryjordan...>
Subject: [ShastaBirders.io] Lewis's Woodpeckers

Date: 10/29/18 12:25 pm
From: Larry Jordan <thelarryjordan...>
Subject: Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Magnolia Warbler - yesterday
I spent two hours this morning looking for the Magnolia Warbler, no luck. The original sighting was actually on Stillwater Creek, just north of hwy 299. Access to the location is East of the pumpkin patch at Shasta College. If you take the road from the farm East, past the pumpkin patch, turn left at the T and walk down past the area where they practice heavy equipment operations, there is an opening in the fence and you can walk down to the creek which is mostly dry now. I walked the creek from hwy 299 North, probably 3/4 of a mile. No warblers seen. You can see my eBird list here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49540904

Back to top
Date: 10/28/18 8:26 am
From: Bob & Carol Yutzy, Shasta, Ca <boby...>
Subject: [ShastaBirders.io] Magnolia Warbler - yesterday
A Magnolia Warbler was seen yesterday along the creek behind the Shasta College Sewer ponds. Part of the forwarded message is below.

Please keep the group posted on the presence or absence of this super county rarity (3-4 records only)!

Bob Yutzy
Redding

Begin forwarded message:

> Date: October 27, 2018 11 am or so
> Subject: Re: Mag Warbler

> Behind the sewer ponds there's a dirt road that runs along Salt Creek. Follow it to the right until you can cut down to the creek 100 yards before the 299 bridge. It was working the willows across the creek from the upper part of the gravel bar.

Back to top
Date: 10/28/18 7:31 am
From: Larry Jordan <thelarryjordan...>
Subject: [ShastaBirders.io] Fall River Yesterday
I began birding with a quick stop at the Fall River Cemetery where a huge flock (at least 85) of Cedar Waxwings were foraging on the juniper berries along the Northeast side of the cemetery. Several adult waxwings were exhibiting courtship behavior by passing the berries back and forth (see photos). There were also at least 100 Canada Geese flying over. A drive up Rat Farm Road to Big Lake produced a couple of Ferruginous Hawks, several Red-tails and at least four Rough-legged Hawks. There were also large flocks of Horned Larks and some American Goldfinches. The best bird seen at Fall River Lake was a single Common Loon.

Back to top
Date: 10/27/18 6:06 pm
From: Dan Greaney via Groups.Io <greaneys=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: Re: [ShastaBirders.io] warbler hybrid
Thanks, John,That's the bird!Dan
On Saturday, October 27, 2018, 1:53:15 PM PDT, John Sterling <jsterling...> wrote:

sounds perfect for Magnolia Warbler in fall/winter plumage
John Sterling
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

26 Palm Ave
Woodland, CA 95695
530 908-3836
<jsterling...>
www.sterlingbirds.com

On Oct 27, 2018, at 1:39 PM, Dan Greaney via Groups.Io <greaneys=<yahoo.com...> wrote:
I saw this at Shasta College about 11am today: warbler hybrid - like Nashville with thin complete eye-ring on gray face, greenish wash on gray back; but, two white wing-bars, pale yellow throat to bright lime-yellow belly with strong black streaking on flanks, white between legs back through undertail coverts, lime-yellow rump. Actively foraging and flycatching in willows on Salt Creek 120 yards north of 299, Shasta College. Sorry, no photo.Beats me!Dan

Back to top
Date: 10/27/18 2:19 pm
From: Bob & Carol Yutzy, Shasta, Ca <boby...>
Hi Dan, any chance you could show me where you saw it. Just finishing a hawk count.
Cant find your phone #.

My cell is 604-8148.

When did you see it?

Sent from Bob's iPhone

> On Oct 27, 2018, at 1:39 PM, Dan Greaney via Groups.Io <greaneys=<yahoo.com...> wrote:
>
> I saw this at Shasta College about 11am today: warbler hybrid - like Nashville with thin complete eye-ring on gray face, greenish wash on gray back; but, two white wing-bars, pale yellow throat to bright lime-yellow belly with strong black streaking on flanks, white between legs back through undertail coverts, lime-yellow rump. Actively foraging and flycatching in willows on Salt Creek 120 yards north of 299, Shasta College. Sorry, no photo.
> Beats me!
> Dan

Back to top
Date: 10/27/18 1:53 pm
From: John Sterling <jsterling...>
sounds perfect for Magnolia Warbler in fall/winter plumage

John Sterling
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

26 Palm Ave
Woodland, CA 95695
530 908-3836
<jsterling...>
www.sterlingbirds.com

> On Oct 27, 2018, at 1:39 PM, Dan Greaney via Groups.Io <greaneys=<yahoo.com...> wrote:
>
> I saw this at Shasta College about 11am today: warbler hybrid - like Nashville with thin complete eye-ring on gray face, greenish wash on gray back; but, two white wing-bars, pale yellow throat to bright lime-yellow belly with strong black streaking on flanks, white between legs back through undertail coverts, lime-yellow rump. Actively foraging and flycatching in willows on Salt Creek 120 yards north of 299, Shasta College. Sorry, no photo.
> Beats me!
> Dan

Back to top
Date: 10/27/18 1:39 pm
From: Dan Greaney via Groups.Io <greaneys=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [ShastaBirders.io] warbler hybrid

Date: 10/22/18 3:01 pm
From: Ellen Vigna <Evigna...>
Subject: Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Junco
still waiting in SActo!

Subject: [ShastaBirders.io] Junco
To: <ShastaBirders...>
Date: Thursday, October 18, 2018, 10:53 AM

Hi,
A first of the season junco showed up
today in my yard.
Barbara Peck
Anderson

Back to top
Date: 10/21/18 8:36 pm
From: Karen Scheuermann <karens2020...>
Subject: Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Acorn cache in our bluebird nest box
OCD?

--
Karen Scheuermann, Wildlife Rehabilitation Permit holder, Tehama Wild Care,
Cottonwood, CA

Back to top
Date: 10/21/18 8:34 pm
From: Karen Scheuermann <karens2020...>
I have a stash every year under my car's air filter, but it's a deer mouse
stash.

On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 1:04 PM Dee Sardoch < [ mailto:<deesar...> | <deesar...> ] > wrote:

Yes, we've seen this in Burney. The Acorn Woodpeckers are the culprits. We had a box that was not used for nesting, probably because we hung it too low to the ground & they regularly fill it with acorns.

At 12:49 PM 10/21/2018, you wrote:

BQ_BEGIN
[...]

www.avg.com ] [ https://webmail2.wildblue.net/mail#m_5077756666144943540_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2 |
]

BQ_END

Back to top
Date: 10/21/18 2:53 pm
From: newtster24 <gbstacey70...>
Thanx Frank. I hope things are going well for you and Darliss and your
family.

On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 2:05 PM darliss60 via Groups.Io <darliss60=
<yahoo.com...> wrote:

> When we lived in northeastern Redding for years the Acorn Woodpeckers
> attempted to fill a hollow utility pole behind our back fence. You could
> hear the nuts as they rattled their way down the inside of the pole never
> to be seen again. Crazy birds!
> Luck!
> F&D Sanderson
> Willits, CA

Back to top
Date: 10/21/18 2:05 pm
From: darliss60 via Groups.Io <darliss60=<yahoo.com...>

Date: 10/21/18 1:16 pm
From: newtster24 <gbstacey70...>

Date: 10/21/18 1:05 pm
From: Dee Sardoch <deesar...>
Yes, we've seen this in Burney. The Acorn Woodpeckers are the culprits. We had a box that was not used for nesting, probably because we hung it too low to the ground & they regularly fill it with acorns.

At 12:49 PM 10/21/2018, you wrote:
>Dear Shasta Biders: This morning I began some maintenance on one of our bluebird nest boxes. When I opened it fresh acorns started falling out of it! The box still had about 30 acorns in it and at least that many fell to the ground.
>
>I have never seen this before in any nest box and specifically this one which has fledged young each year for the past 15 years.
>
>Has anyone else seen this phenomenon? Possible suspects on our property are gray squirrels, western scrub jays and acorn woodpeckers.
>
>Anybody have any thoughts or past experience about this? Thanx.
>
>Good Birding!
>
>Gary & Sharon Stacey
>Redding, CA
>
>PS: I have pictures of the nest box filled with acorns if anyone’s interested. If you are send me an e-mail offline and I’ll send it to you.
>

><http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>
>[]
> Virus-free. <http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>www.avg.com

Back to top

Date: 10/21/18 11:18 am
From: Barbara Peck <bapeck8...>
Subject: [ShastaBirders.io] White-throat
Good morning,

A tan-striped white-throated sparrow put in an appearance in my yard this
morning. It has been a number of years since I have noticed one in my yard.
I managed to get a couple of photos. They are posted with my ebird list:

Date: 10/20/18 12:18 pm
From: Bruce Deuel <bdeuel...>
Subject: Re: [ShastaBirders.io] New fall arrivals
Sounds like a general arrival of juncos. Barbara Peck reported her first on the 19th, and I also had my first here in Red Bluff on the 20th.
Cheers,
Bruce Deuel
Red Bluff

Date: 10/19/18 10:06 pm
From: Bob & Carol Yutzy, Shasta, Ca <boby...>
Subject: [ShastaBirders.io] rare Bird Alert- Palm Warbler today at the Sewer Ponds
David Pluth had a Palm Warbler along the River side but along a pond edge. Photos were attached to the eBird report.

Please let Shasta Birders know if others re-find it.

Michele Swartout had a Palm Warbler earlier this fall/late summer in Lassen Park.

Good luck to all.

Sent From Bob & Carol
Formerly of Shasta
Now - Redding, Ca