ShastaBirders
Received From Subject
2/19/19 9:48 pm Bob & Carol Yutzy, Shasta, Ca <boby...> [ShastaBirders.io] Gull flock - where is it?
2/18/19 6:47 pm Bob & Carol Yutzy, Shasta, Ca <boby...> [ShastaBirders.io] Huge Gull flock at about 4:30 pm to 5:30 pm at Kutras Lake.
2/17/19 12:20 pm Melinda Kashuba via Groups.Io <mekashuba=<yahoo.com...> [ShastaBirders.io] Millville Plains - Parkville
2/14/19 2:19 pm Barbara Peck <bapeck8...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] cool yard bird
2/14/19 9:39 am Viktoria Peterson <viktoriapeterson9...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] cool yard bird
2/14/19 9:04 am Barbara Peck <bapeck8...> [ShastaBirders.io] cool yard bird
2/12/19 2:07 pm Bob & Carol Yutzy, Shasta, Ca <boby...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Jelly's Ferry to Millville Plains Hawk Count - July 22, 2018
2/12/19 7:48 am Karen Scheuermann <karens2020...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Bald Eagle
2/12/19 6:58 am John Plank <bluesrollers...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Bald Eagle
2/11/19 2:24 pm Karen Scheuermann <karens2020...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Bald Eagle
2/11/19 11:14 am John Plank <bluesrollers...> [ShastaBirders.io] Bald Eagle
2/11/19 7:56 am Brewbird <michele31...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Jelly's Ferry to Millville Plains Hawk Count - July 22, 2018
2/10/19 11:13 am Bob & Carol Yutzy, Shasta, Ca <boby...> [ShastaBirders.io] Jelly's Ferry to Millville Plains Hawk Count - July 22, 2018
2/10/19 11:07 am Bob & Carol Yutzy, Shasta, Ca <boby...> [ShastaBirders.io] Jelly's Ferry to Millville Plains Hawk Counts from Dec. 31, 2018 & Jan. 30, 2019
2/10/19 10:50 am Bob & Carol Yutzy, Shasta, Ca <boby...> [ShastaBirders.io] Catching up on Hawk Count results - August 30, 2018 & September 30, 2019
2/8/19 10:24 am Barbara Peck <bapeck8...> [ShastaBirders.io] Nashville warbler
2/2/19 2:50 pm Barbara Peck <bapeck8...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Great tailed grackle
2/2/19 12:55 pm Bob & Carol Yutzy, Shasta, Ca <boby...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Great tailed grackle
2/2/19 12:49 pm Viktoria Peterson <viktoriapeterson9...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Great tailed grackle
2/2/19 12:14 pm Irene Sinz <iasinz...> [ShastaBirders.io] Great tailed grackle
1/24/19 12:18 pm Steve via Groups.Io <kkona3=<yahoo.com...> Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Join Wintu Audubon Society for a Great Day of Birding at Arcata Marsh

Back to top
Date: 2/19/19 9:48 pm
From: Bob & Carol Yutzy, Shasta, Ca <boby...>
Subject: [ShastaBirders.io] Gull flock - where is it?
Hello all,

We checked Kutras Lake beginning at about 4:45 pm and there were only 150 Ring-billed & Cal Gulls and no Herring or other gulls. Shortly thereafter an adult Bald Eagle flew over and all but about 30 gulls took off up River.
Also we saw no flyby of gulls on Hilltop at 5:45 to 6:30 pm.
Thought we had a pattern - but guess not.

Sent From Bob & Carol
Redding, Ca

--
*Bob & Carol Yutzy*
*Shasta, CA*

Back to top
Date: 2/18/19 6:47 pm
From: Bob & Carol Yutzy, Shasta, Ca <boby...>
Subject: [ShastaBirders.io] Huge Gull flock at about 4:30 pm to 5:30 pm at Kutras Lake.
Hello all,

Drove by Kutras Lake at 4 pm and noted a pretty huge flock of gulls on the lake, on the shore, and on the spit by the RV Park. Probably 1,500 to 2,000 when we were there. Later up off Hilltop at about 5:55 pm we had maybe 3,000 fly by heading towards Shasta Lake. We had the same fly by last night at 5:54 pm!

Looked for possible Western Gull or other very dark backed Gull at Kutras but saw none. It would be really good to scope out these birds and maybe find that Lesser Black-backed Gull of Geoffreys or ??

Bob

Sent From Bob & Carol
Redding, Ca

--
*Bob & Carol Yutzy*
*Shasta, CA*

Back to top
Date: 2/17/19 12:20 pm
From: Melinda Kashuba via Groups.Io <mekashuba=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [ShastaBirders.io] Millville Plains - Parkville
Hello Everyone,

Tim and I birded Millville Plains and Parkville Road this morning. Of note were three mountain bluebirds on a fence wire along Bascom Road, a juvenile Golden Eagle flying with a kettle of Turkey Vultures over Parkville Road about a half mile south of the cemetery. There were still numerous Lewis Woodpeckers along Parkville Road.

Great day birding!

Melinda Kashuba
Redding

Back to top
Date: 2/14/19 2:19 pm
From: Barbara Peck <bapeck8...>
Subject: Re: [ShastaBirders.io] cool yard bird

> On Feb 14, 2019, at 9:38 AM, Viktoria Peterson <viktoriapeterson9...> wrote:
>
> Wow Barbara, what great reporting and pictures!
> Thank you.
> Viktoria
> Viktoria Peterson
>

>> On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 9:04 AM Barbara Peck <bapeck8...> wrote:
>> Good morning,
>>

>> Yesterday (2/13) I had a great yard bird. A Northern Shrike came to the yard, caught an American Goldfinch, and sat in my crabapple when it ate the bird. It actually moved about a lot in the crabapple as it worked on the bird. Here’s my ebird list with a few photos. It was rather buried in the tree by the time I started photographing. At first it was right up front giving me a great though brief look at its vermiculated breast, partial mask, hooked bill, and the pale base of its bill.
>>
>> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S52692395
>>

>> P.S. We had a 6-8” snowfall starting the night before. Our power and Verizon cell phone service went out at 1 a.m. and remained out all day. The other interesting birds visiting my yard to eat sunflower seeds scattered on the snow and suet from a hanging feeder were red-winged blackbirds. I had a flock of at least 44 birds. A couple of Brewer’s and a few Starlings also showed up.
>>

>> The orange-crowned warbler and ruby-crowned kinglet came to the suet feeder all day. A yellow-rumped appeared in the morning but not routinely. I never noticed the Nashville.
>>

>> Today the snow is still present though partially melted and the power is back on. Hooray. Happy Valentine’s Day.
>>

>> Barbara Peck
>>
>> Anderson, CA

Back to top
Date: 2/14/19 9:39 am
From: Viktoria Peterson <viktoriapeterson9...>
Wow Barbara, what great reporting and pictures!
Thank you.
Viktoria
Viktoria Peterson

On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 9:04 AM Barbara Peck <bapeck8...> wrote:

> Good morning,
>

> Yesterday (2/13) I had a great yard bird. A *Northern Shrike* came to
> the yard, caught an American Goldfinch, and sat in my crabapple when it ate
> the bird. It actually moved about a lot in the crabapple as it worked on
> the bird. Here’s my ebird list with a few photos. It was rather buried in
> the tree by the time I started photographing. At first it was right up
> front giving me a great though brief look at its vermiculated breast,
> partial mask, hooked bill, and the pale base of its bill.
>
> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S52692395
>

> P.S. We had a 6-8” snowfall starting the night before. Our power and
> Verizon cell phone service went out at 1 a.m. and remained out all day.
> The other interesting birds visiting my yard to eat sunflower seeds
> scattered on the snow and suet from a hanging feeder were red-winged
> blackbirds. I had a flock of at least 44 birds. A couple of Brewer’s and a
> few Starlings also showed up.
>

> The orange-crowned warbler and ruby-crowned kinglet came to the suet
> feeder all day. A yellow-rumped appeared in the morning but not routinely.
> I never noticed the Nashville.
>

> Today the snow is still present though partially melted and the power is
> back on. Hooray. Happy Valentine’s Day.
>

> Barbara Peck
>
> Anderson, CA

Back to top

Date: 2/12/19 2:07 pm
From: Bob & Carol Yutzy, Shasta, Ca <boby...>
Subject: Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Jelly's Ferry to Millville Plains Hawk Count - July 22, 2018
Yep it is. Rough on a time limit to do the count. Since the bridge was out a few years back we are used to it now. Just some back tracking and excess miles.
Bob

Sent From Bob & Carol

> On Feb 11, 2019, at 7:56 AM, Brewbird <michele31...> wrote:
>
> Hi Bob and Carol,
> It must be a little tough doing your normal survey route these days, with the Jelly's Ferry Bridge closed indefinitely. It sure stopped me from doing my birding loop I like to do.
>
> Michele Swartout
> Red Bluff
>
>> On Feb 10, 2019, at 11:13, Bob & Carol Yutzy, Shasta, Ca <boby...> wrote:
>>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> More results below for the Jelly's Ferry to Millville Plains Hawk Count from July 22, 2018
>>

>> Total Hawk Species = 5
>> TVs = 159
>> Red-tails = 8
>> Red-shouldered Hawk = 1
>> Osprey = 10
>> Kestrel = 5
>> Total Hawks = 183
>>
>> Misc Species
>> West Kingbird = 21
>> G Blue Heron = 1
>> G Egret = 3
>> Virginia Rail = 3
>> Blk Phoebe = 2
>> Mocker = 2
>> Turkey on I-5 = 7
>> COYOTE = 1 - pix
>>
>> --
>> Bob & Carol Yutzy Redding, CA

>> --
>> Bob & Carol Yutzy
>> Shasta, CA
>> <boby.vcf>

Back to top
Date: 2/12/19 7:48 am
From: Karen Scheuermann <karens2020...>
Subject: Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Bald Eagle
Hooker Creek and the north part of McCoy.

Date: 2/12/19 6:58 am
From: John Plank <bluesrollers...>

wrote:

Out walking my dog in Cottonwood. We saw an adult Bald Eagle
on Cottonwood Creek

--
Karen Scheuermann, Wildlife Rehabilitation Permit holder, Tehama
Wild Care,
Cottonwood, CA
<karens2020...>, 530-347-1687
http://tehamawildcare.com

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#7701) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute
This Topic | New Topic

Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe
[<lists...>]
_._,_._,_

Back to top
Date: 2/11/19 2:24 pm
From: Karen Scheuermann <karens2020...>

Date: 2/11/19 11:14 am
From: John Plank <bluesrollers...>
Subject: [ShastaBirders.io] Bald Eagle

Date: 2/11/19 7:56 am
From: Brewbird <michele31...>
Hi Bob and Carol,
It must be a little tough doing your normal survey route these days, with the Jelly's Ferry Bridge closed indefinitely. It sure stopped me from doing my birding loop I like to do.

Michele Swartout
Red Bluff

> On Feb 10, 2019, at 11:13, Bob & Carol Yutzy, Shasta, Ca <boby...> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
> More results below for the Jelly's Ferry to Millville Plains Hawk Count from July 22, 2018
>
> Total Hawk Species = 5
> TVs = 159
> Red-tails = 8
> Red-shouldered Hawk = 1
> Osprey = 10
> Kestrel = 5
> Total Hawks = 183
>
> Misc Species
> West Kingbird = 21
> G Blue Heron = 1
> G Egret = 3
> Virginia Rail = 3
> Blk Phoebe = 2
> Mocker = 2
> Turkey on I-5 = 7
> COYOTE = 1 - pix
>
> --
> Bob & Carol Yutzy Redding, CA

> --
> Bob & Carol Yutzy
> Shasta, CA
>
> <boby.vcf>

Back to top

Date: 2/10/19 11:07 am
From: Bob & Carol Yutzy, Shasta, Ca <boby...>
Subject: [ShastaBirders.io] Jelly's Ferry to Millville Plains Hawk Counts from Dec. 31, 2018 & Jan. 30, 2019
Hello all,

Below are hawk counts from Jelly's Ferry to Millville Plains from Dec.
31, 2018 & Jan. 30, 2019

The Harlan's Hawk on Jan. 30 is at least 6 years old now according to
our records.

*Dec. 31, 2018*

Kestrel 2 minutes harassing a Prairie Falcon

Total Hawk Species = 9
TV = 104
No Harrier = 3
Red-tailed Hawk = 4
Prairie Falcon = 2
Peregrine Falcon = 1
Am. Kestrel = 5
Ferruginous Hawk = 2
Golden Eagle = 4
Bald Eagle = 2
Total Hawks = 127

Misc. Species
Say's Phoebe = 1
West Bluebird = 24
G B Heron = 1
Great Egret = 1
Lewis's Woodpecker = 3
Lark Sparrow = 15

*Jan 30, 2019*

Total Hawk Species = 9
TV = 143
Red-tailed Hawk = 22 *(HARLAN's =1)*
Am Kestrel = 12
Ferruginous Hawk = 1
Loggerhead Shrike = 1
Bald Eagle = 1
Osprey = 1
Red-shouldered Hawk = 2
Golden Eagle = 1
Total Hawks = 184

Misc Species
Anna's Hummer = 3
West Bluebird = 26
Lewis's Woodpecker = 5
White-fronted Goose flock = 150
Say's Phoebe = 2
Black Phoebe = 1
Great Egret = 4
G B Heron = 4
Snowy Egret = 1
Common Merganser = 4
Horned Lark = 1

Bridge still out at 7.0
Travel around and restart

HARLAN'S 6 yrs +

--
Bob & Carol Yutzy Redding, CA

Back to top
Date: 2/10/19 10:50 am
From: Bob & Carol Yutzy, Shasta, Ca <boby...>
Subject: [ShastaBirders.io] Catching up on Hawk Count results - August 30, 2018 & September 30, 2019
Hello all,

Finally getting results tallied for past Hawk Counts

Below are those for August 30, 2018 & September 30, 2018

*August 30 2018*

Total Hawk Species = 4
TVs = 153
Red-tails = 14
Kestrel = 7
Red-shouldered Hawks = 1
Total Hawks = 175

Misc. Species
Lewis's Woodpecker = 1
West Kingbird = 1
D C Cormorant = 1
Great Egret = 3
Wood Duck = 3
Stellar's Jay = 1

*September 30, 2018*

Total Hawk Species = 6
TVs = 195
Red-tails = 18
Kestrel = 7
Red-shouldered hawk = 1
Osprey = 1
Golden Eagle = 1
Total Hawks = 223

Misc Species
Turkey = 20
Lewis's Woodpecker = 1
Say's Phoebe = 2
West Bluebird = 2
Great Egret = 1
Black Phoebe = 1
Wood Duck = 6

--
Bob & Carol Yutzy Redding, CA

Back to top
Date: 2/8/19 10:24 am
From: Barbara Peck <bapeck8...>
Subject: [ShastaBirders.io] Nashville warbler
Wow, I was just watching the Nashville warbler that has previously visited my yard, the whitish throated Nashville. It just flashed its rusty cap. My impression was It was fairly long. Time to dig out Pyle to see if this suggests anything further about its age and sex.
Barbara Peck
Anderson, CA

Back to top
Date: 2/2/19 2:50 pm
From: Barbara Peck <bapeck8...>
Subject: Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Great tailed grackle
And they are routinely at Winco too.
Barbara Peck
Anderson
> On Feb 2, 2019, at 12:54 PM, Bob & Carol Yutzy, Shasta, Ca <boby...> wrote:
>
> We have seen a group at Costco a couple times over the last few weeks.
> Bob Yutzy
> Redding, Ca
>
> Sent from Bob's iPhone
>
>> On Feb 2, 2019, at 12:49 PM, Viktoria Peterson <viktoriapeterson9...> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Irene, Yesterday, I was at Costco and believe I saw a tree full of them, both males and females. They have unusual "songs".
>> Viktoria Peterson
>>

>>> On Sat, Feb 2, 2019 at 12:14 PM Irene Sinz <iasinz...> wrote:
>>> Today I went to Target and saw this great tailed grackle ( I think?) in a tree. Tried to attach video but the file was too big.
>>>

> --
> Bob & Carol Yutzy
> Shasta, CA

Back to top
Date: 2/2/19 12:55 pm
From: Bob & Carol Yutzy, Shasta, Ca <boby...>

Date: 2/2/19 12:49 pm
From: Viktoria Peterson <viktoriapeterson9...>

Date: 2/2/19 12:14 pm
From: Irene Sinz <iasinz...>
Subject: [ShastaBirders.io] Great tailed grackle

Date: 1/24/19 12:18 pm
From: Steve via Groups.Io <kkona3=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: Re: [ShastaBirders.io] Join Wintu Audubon Society for a Great Day of Birding at Arcata Marsh
I'll be there!
Health and happiness to you and yours... Steve Royce
"It matters not how long you live, but how well you live."(Spend your "dash" wisely.)

On Friday, January 18, 2019, 2:12:47 PM PST, Larry Jordan <thelarryjordan...> wrote:

Join ornithologist, author of A Birding Guide to Humboldt County, and Redwood Region Audubon Society Vice-President, Ken Burton, for a full day of very informative birding at Arcata Marsh!

With its unique blend of eleven man-made freshwater, brackish, and salt marshes, mudflats, open bay waters, grassland, and upland areas, Arcata Marsh & Wildlife Sanctuary has about 5 miles of mostly flat trails providing a variety of habitats which attract over 100 species of birds almost any day of the year. A typical walk Chet leads covers about 2.5 miles and depends on weather, tides, and possible unusual birds we may look for. We will learn about some of the history of the marsh area, which services Arcata's WTP system.

Plan to meet at 10 am at Arcata Marsh Interpretive Center parking lot 569 South G Street, Arcata, for some birding around the marsh then break for lunch across the street at Redwood Curtain Brewery (food truck out back) 550 South G Street, Arcata. In the afternoon we will go to South I Street parking lot and watch the shorebirds march ahead of the rising tide into McDaniel Slough Restoration Area.

Tides at Arcata Marsh Jan 26: low ~10:45 am (1.9 ft) high ~4:40 pm (5.9 ft). Sunrise: about 7:30, sunset about 5:30. Audubon leads marsh walks every Saturday morning, rain or shine, at 8:30 meeting at the parking lot, bay side of South I Street. There are several covered shelters.

https://www.facebook.com/events/782985515399135/