SFBirds
Received From Subject
6/18/18 3:37 pm Brian Fitch <fogeggs...> [SFBirds] Sutro Auklet
6/17/18 6:47 pm David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...> [SFBirds] Local Interest Last Six Days
6/16/18 10:58 pm Daniel Scali <daniel.s.scali...> [SFBirds] McLaren Park Breeding Gone Bananas
6/16/18 9:48 am H Cotter <chatwren...> [SFBirds] Magnolia warbler
6/12/18 10:27 am Brian Fitch <fogeggs...> Re: [SFBirds] N parula
6/12/18 8:11 am Brian Fitch <fogeggs...> [SFBirds] N parula
6/11/18 5:49 pm Lori Lee via Groups.Io <lorilee415=<yahoo.com...> [SFBirds] Bee-Catching Acorn Woodpeckers
6/9/18 7:32 pm David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...> [SFBirds] Local Interest Last Few Days
6/8/18 9:54 pm Dominik Mosur via Groups.Io <polskatata=<yahoo.com...> Re: [SFBirds] Pier 94/Bayside
6/8/18 9:48 pm Dominik Mosur via Groups.Io <polskatata=<yahoo.com...> [SFBirds] Pier 94/Bayside
6/8/18 6:43 pm Dominik Mosur via Groups.Io <polskatata=<yahoo.com...> Re: [SFBirds] Black and white mottled head?
6/8/18 6:27 pm Chloe Marie Wieland <chloe.wieland...> [SFBirds] Black and white mottled head?
6/8/18 11:32 am Logan Kahle <logan...> [SFBirds] SUMMER TANAGER on Simonds Loop 6/8
6/8/18 10:41 am David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...> [SFBirds] Eastern Kingbird at El Polin
6/7/18 5:02 pm Daniel Scali <daniel.s.scali...> [SFBirds] Breeding Lazuli Buntings and other McLaren Park fun
6/4/18 7:25 pm Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur...> [SFBirds] Recent sightings
6/4/18 3:28 pm Paul Saraceni <paulsaraceni...> [SFBirds] Westside SF observations, 6/2-3/18
6/3/18 10:05 am David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...> [SFBirds] Fort Mason Local Interest - Ash-Throated Flycatcher
6/2/18 3:57 pm David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...> [SFBirds] Golden Eagle
6/2/18 3:41 pm John Luther <aplomado-falcon...> [SFBirds] Black Skimmer both counties
6/1/18 9:04 pm Logan Kahle <logan...> [SFBirds] Battery Godfrey 6/1 Black Swifts, Lawrence's Goldfinch
6/1/18 3:31 pm Richard Bradus via Groups.Io <grizzledjay=<yahoo.com...> [SFBirds] Caching bees?
6/1/18 9:29 am Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur...> Re: [SFBirds] Female Wood Duck @ Stow Lake
6/1/18 9:25 am Ken Moy <ken.moy62...> [SFBirds] Female Wood Duck @ Stow Lake
5/31/18 11:18 am Tom Scott <tom...> [SFBirds] Looking for ID help
5/29/18 10:36 pm Paul Saraceni <paulsaraceni...> [SFBirds] Brewer's Sparrow @ Cole Valley, SF, 5/29/18
5/29/18 1:25 pm Jonah Benningfield via Groups.Io <falco1440=<yahoo.com...> [SFBirds] Battery Godfrey - Evening Grosbeak etc.
5/29/18 8:10 am David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...> [SFBirds] Rose Breasted Grosbeak at Stow Lake
5/29/18 8:05 am David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...> [SFBirds] Correction
5/28/18 7:36 pm H Cotter <chatwren...> [SFBirds] 05.28.18- NW SF- Broad-winged Hawk
5/28/18 1:55 pm Linda Swanson <lswanson...> [SFBirds] Wood Duck at Stow Lake
5/28/18 1:35 pm Scott Bowers <sfbirds...> [SFBirds] Potrero Hill - 9/28 Ash-Throated Flycatcher Continues
5/28/18 1:17 pm William Grant <wbgrant...> [SFBirds] Phainopepla
5/28/18 11:14 am Daniel Scali <daniel.s.scali...> [SFBirds] Peregrine Pair — Battery Godfrey
5/28/18 8:48 am David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...> [SFBirds] Yellow Fronted Canary
5/27/18 8:47 pm David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...> [SFBirds] Fort Mason and El Polin - Phainopepla, Flycatchers, Oriole, Grosbeak and Tanagers
5/27/18 7:46 pm Paul Saraceni <paulsaraceni...> [SFBirds] NW SF, 5/27/18
5/27/18 7:04 pm Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur...> [SFBirds] BREEDING (?) House Wren, f. RB Grosbeak, migrants et al 5/27/18
5/27/18 4:20 pm Ralph McKinnon via Groups.Io <mmushkat=<yahoo.com...> Re: [SFBirds] Phainopepla at El Polin Springs
5/27/18 4:09 pm William Grant <wbgrant...> Re: [SFBirds] Phainopepla at El Polin Springs
5/27/18 4:07 pm Sarah Burton <burtosarah...> Re: [SFBirds] Phainopepla at El Polin Springs
5/27/18 11:58 am Linda Swanson <lswanson...> [SFBirds] Mt Sutro Forest OSR 5/27/18
5/27/18 10:52 am Alan Hopkins <alanhopkins...> [SFBirds] GGP B&W
5/27/18 10:17 am David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...> [SFBirds] Phainopepla at El Polin Springs
5/26/18 11:00 am David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...> [SFBirds] Flycatchers and Tanagers at Fort Mason
5/25/18 11:40 am David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...> [SFBirds] Fort Mason Local Interest
5/25/18 9:04 am Brian Turner <brianturner6...> [SFBirds] Log cabin trail migrants
5/24/18 11:14 pm Felix Rigau via Groups.Io <flix=<yahoo.com...> [SFBirds] Presidio - El Polin
5/24/18 4:21 pm Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur...> [SFBirds] Land's End/Lincoln Park/Fort Miley
5/23/18 9:13 pm Josiah Clark <josiah.clark621...> [SFBirds] West SF, point counts and breeding confirmations
5/23/18 5:01 pm Alan Hopkins <alanhopkins...> [SFBirds] Mc Laren Ridge
5/23/18 4:27 pm Daniel Scali <daniel.s.scali...> [SFBirds] McLaren Grasslands
5/23/18 4:07 pm C Lou <cdlou37...> [SFBirds] Belated Report- Mt Davidson Rose-Breasted Grosbeak May 15
5/23/18 2:41 pm Linda Swanson <lswanson...> [SFBirds] Summer Tanager at Polo Fields Stables in Golden Gate Park
5/23/18 2:13 pm Aaron Maizlish <aaron.maizlish...> [SFBirds] Morning birds of note
5/23/18 5:44 am Siobhan Ruck <ms.siobhan.ruck...> Re: [SFBirds] Breeding bird notes
5/22/18 9:54 pm Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur...> [SFBirds] Breeding bird notes
5/21/18 1:58 pm David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...> [SFBirds] Local Interest - North West San Francisco - Greater White-Fronted Geese, Empids
5/21/18 1:27 pm vinie415 <klibe...> [SFBirds] Empid at Candlestick Point today
5/20/18 6:33 pm David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...> [SFBirds] Fort Mason Black-Headed Grosbeak and other local interest last few days
5/20/18 4:31 pm William Grant <wbgrant...> Re: [SFBirds] Two cygnets at Palace of Fine Arts
5/20/18 3:35 pm William Grant <wbgrant...> [SFBirds] Two signets at Palace of Fine Arts

Back to top
Date: 6/18/18 3:37 pm
From: Brian Fitch <fogeggs...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Sutro Auklet
I spent several minutes this morning tracking an unidentified auklet
species as it flew around off of the Sutro Baths. It was alone and never
approached other birds for size comps, but if it was a Rhino, then it was
small beaked. All dark gray with a white belly and vent, and no
discernible facial marks. Last year on 6/19, I had a small beaked and
small bodied auklet associating loosely with other alcids that I'm pretty
sure was the Parakeet. Since today's bird flew back out to sea, I didn't
go and check last year's Parakeet rock.

Two Red-throated Loons were still present, one each in basic and alternate,
and four or more juvenile Heerman's Gulls was heartening after 3-4 years of
almost none. Only a couple of Humpbacks were in the channel.

At North Lake, a juv yellowthroat was chasing its parents around, and the
adult male gave several rounds of "peach-you" that was much closer to
Ovenbird than a normal yellowthroat.

On Saturday, the Pac-slope Flycatcher was still singing along Buena Vista
Avenue across form the park. It then flew into the park and sat in the
same tree with a singing Western Tanager.

Brian Fitch

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 6/17/18 6:47 pm
From: David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Local Interest Last Six Days
Last Tuesday I started the day at Heron's Head Park, where there were still a few shorebirds - WHIMBREL, AMERICAN AVOCET, BLACK-NECKED STILTS, MARBLED GODWITS and WILLETS.  Two MARSH WRENS were unexpected, as was the makeshift housing structure for a homeless person in the very middle of the protected area. Saw Brian's post about the NORTHERN PARULA at the East Wash and got there to see it just after 8:45 am. A BAND-TAILED PIGEON perched on the top of a tree, close to a vocal WESTERN WOOD PEWEE. Wednesday I spent the morning at El Polin Spring, where a silent OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER sat and sallied from the top of a tree. A late CEDAR WAXWING was close to the spring, and a male LAZULI BUNTING was singing non-stop. Thursday I went to Kobbe and Upton, where I saw two newly fledged HOODED ORIOLES, an ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER and 3 WESTERN BLUEBIRDS (including one young bird). Friday I spent the morning at Fort Mason, with the only notable bird being a HOODED ORIOLE. Saturday it was back to Kobbe and Upton, where there seemed to be HOODED ORIOLES everywhere.  I saw as many as nine, with five in one tree at one time. A male LAZULI BUNTING was singing from a tree at the edge of the field at Fort Scott, a WESTERN WOOD PEWEE was just east of there, and the three WESTERN BLUEBIRDS were hanging around a red-flowering eucalptys tree. Today participants in the monthly GGAS walk at Fort Mason were able to see three HOODED ORIOLES and the first of the season's returning HEERMAN'S GULLS to Fort Mason, with four in Aquatic Park.

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 6/16/18 10:58 pm
From: Daniel Scali <daniel.s.scali...>
Subject: [SFBirds] McLaren Park Breeding Gone Bananas
Howdy flocks,

In addition to keeping the bins on the McLaren Park Lazuli Bunting situation I’ve been working a section of the Philosopher’s Way trail that runs west about 3/4 mi. along the north border of Gleneagles Golf Course. On Thursday morning it seemed that every couple hundred yards I ran into a new Bewick’s Wren territory. I’m certain there were 2 breeding pairs, another likely, and 2 or 3 more singing males spread along the trail. The most interesting thing I learned was that both pairs of wrens, when close together in their respective turfs, made a-different-kind-of buzzy vocalization that was reminiscent of Blue-Grey Gnatcatcher.

This morning I birded the same trail more quickly. I didn’t catch any feeding behavior but there seemed to be as many active territories.

The trail ends at Sunnydale Ave and I crossed Persia and headed north, continuing along another familiar park path toward an hilly expanse of grasses and wild radish where I’ve had LAZB different from the first breeding pair I posted about on 6/7 (I photographed a single fledgling for that original pair two days ago). In the grass field today there was a cacophony of singing Lazulis as well as calling that is similar to that of Dark-eyed Junco (who just so happen to populate all the LAZB territories!) but I think of it as being more liquid. After watching a comedy of an apparent adult male chasing another round and round (and round) some willows — as from a scene with Yosemite Sam and Bugs Bunny — I lucked upon both a female and her new fledgling (branchling?), tucked away on a small branch in another willow. I wonder how many other fledgling LAZBs are hidden in all of that weedy McLaren foliage.

_________ birding,
Dan Scali, SF

https://flickr.com/photos/131513376@N03/sets/72157692277221830
-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 6/16/18 9:48 am
From: H Cotter <chatwren...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Magnolia warbler
There is a singing male magnolia warbler in the east wash, Lincoln park
Difficult to see - 9.47 am Sat
Hugh, Dom

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 6/12/18 10:27 am
From: Brian Fitch <fogeggs...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] N parula
The parula was still singing when I left at 9, as were Orange-crowned and
Wilson's Warblers. Also present in the East Wash were two or more
Pac-slope Flycatchers, two calling simultaneously, one singing briefly, and
a Willow Flycatcher calling. Juvenile Hairy Woodpecker and Purple Finch
were being fed by their respective parents.

Yesterday on Mt Davidson, a flock of 12 Band-tailed Pigeons were eating
elderberries on the north slope close to the trail, and there were three
juveniles among them. Another Pac-slope was calling from a birch tree
across from Buena Vista Park, and a minimum of eight Humpbacks were in the
GG Channel north of the Sutro Baths.

Brian Fitch

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 8:10 AM, Brian Fitch <fogeggs...> wrote:

> Singing in the east wash.
> Brian fitch

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 6/12/18 8:11 am
From: Brian Fitch <fogeggs...>
Subject: [SFBirds] N parula
Singing in the east wash.
Brian fitch

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 6/11/18 5:49 pm
From: Lori Lee via Groups.Io <lorilee415=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Bee-Catching Acorn Woodpeckers
Late this morning a colony of feral honey bees was a-buzz and so were the resident acorn woodpeckers of Lafayette Park. All five resident adults were occupied with catching, eating, caching, and feeding bees to two recently fledged juveniles. They were protective of their bee-nanza and tried to chase off a persistent scrub-jay. The scrub-jay eventually made it to a branch next to the hive but could only perch there mesmerized by the speed of the bees and eventually lost interest and left. I've seen scrub-jays eating mason bees but apparently honey bees are too fast for them. Fly-catching acorn woodpeckers are great fun during the mellow month of June. The colony is in a eucalyptus on southern edge of the park's top circle.

Link to video.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/31448845@N04/40931800660/in/album-72157667985066657/

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 6/9/18 7:32 pm
From: David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Local Interest Last Few Days
My focus has mostly been on El Polin Springs this past week.  On Monday, had a WARBLING VIREO, a SWAINSON'S THRUSH, 2 LAZULI BUNTINGS and a WESTERN TANAGER. On Friday, in addition to the EASTERN KINGBIRD, there was a SWAINSON'S THRUSH, a LAZULI BUNTING and a WESTERN WOOD PEWEE. Today, I heard a BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK as I was driving in; had great looks at a pair of LAZULI BUNTINGS, with the male singing much of the morning; had a WESTERN WOOD PEWEE, and a female HOODED ORIOLE. Other sightings included WHITE-THROATED SWIFTS at Fort Mason on Tuesday, a BONAPARTE'S GULL at the concrete bridge at Lake Merced, and two HOODED ORIOLES at Fort Mason on Friday.

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
Leave: https://groups.io/g/SFBirds/unsub [<lists...>]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 6/8/18 9:54 pm
From: Dominik Mosur via Groups.Io <polskatata=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Pier 94/Bayside
> Just to be clear, *Savannah Sparrows have been confirmed BREEDING at Heron's Head and Candlestick/Yosemite Slough this spring.

DM
SF
-=-=-

Date: 6/8/18 9:48 pm
From: Dominik Mosur via Groups.Io <polskatata=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Pier 94/Bayside
Forwarding a message from Noreen Weeden who is having trouble posting to the group:

>> On Saturday June 2, 2018 there were a couple volunteers at the habitat restoration at Pier 94. An out of the ordinary sight was 2 juvenile Peregrine Falcons chasing a Great Blue Heron. Below is the list of all species observed:
>>
>> Canada Goose 4
>> Double-crested Cormorant 2
>> Great Blue Heron 1
>> Snowy Egret 2
>> American Avocet 1
>> Killdeer 2
>> Western Gull 2
>> Peregrine Falcon 2
>> Barn Swallow 8
>> Bushtit 4
>> White-crowned Sparrow 2
>> Savannah Sparrow 2*
>> Red-winged Blackbird 12
>> House Finch 6
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Noreen Weeden
>> Golden Gate Audubon
>> 510-301-0570 cell phone
>> <nweeden...>
>> www.goldengateaudubon.org

Regarding the *(2) Savannah Sparrows, their presence in early June indicates that this California Species of Special Concern has now expanded to all three tidal salt marsh restoration sites in San Francisco's southeast Bayside including Heron's Head and Candlestick's Yosemite Slough. Savannah Sparrows were confirmed at the latter two locations this spring. I observed (3) birds at Yosemite Slough two days ago, one of them carrying food.

Additionally (5) Semipalmated Plovers there appear to be summering over.

Dominik Mosur
San Francisco
-=-=-

Date: 6/8/18 6:43 pm
From: Dominik Mosur via Groups.Io <polskatata=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Black and white mottled head?
Hi Chloe,

If it looked like a robin with a mottled black-and-white head then that is what the bird was.

Partial albinism expressed in pale/white patches in the plumage occur in many(all?) birds and in my experience are most often noted on the more common species that we see the most individuals of.

Robins are probably the most common species that I see with this recessive condition, others include fox Sparrows, brewer's blackbirds, brown-headed cowbirds, white-crowned Sparrows and dark eyed juncos.

A robin with an entirely white head was noted in west Golden Gate Park for several years. It was easily identified even at long distance when foraging on the polo field.

A web search of "partially albino Robin" will yield numerous images of similarly plumage birds.

Dominik Mosur
San Francisco
> On Jun 8, 2018, at 18:04, Chloe Marie Wieland <chloe.wieland...> wrote:
>
> I saw what at a glance (from my bike) I thought was a robin but with a black and white spotted head! It was in GG Park on MLK 1/2 mile east of Sunset. Any ideas what this could be? Robin sized, grey body

-=-=-

Date: 6/8/18 11:32 am
From: Logan Kahle <logan...>
Subject: [SFBirds] SUMMER TANAGER on Simonds Loop 6/8
Hi all,

While catching up on work today in my room I heard what I was nearly
certain was the call of a Summer Tanager coming from the yard. After
looking out the window and playing some tape with no response I started
to wonder if some mechanical noise from the office had tripped me up.
After about two minutes though, it called again, and I was able to track
it down and get some photos. Based on bill size, I would guess this is a
western bird but need to check back on that later.

If anyone is interested in seeing this, it is in the back yard of my
house (513B Simonds Loop) and in the adjacent tulip tree. Please be
contentious of both the bird and the residents of this quiet block. It
is calling every 5 seconds as I write this, and I believe will likely be
here all day. It is an immature male with red head and yellow on most of
the rest of the plumage.

Get out there while the going is good!

Logan

-=-=-

Date: 6/8/18 10:41 am
From: David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Eastern Kingbird at El Polin
Flew north along the hill
just below Inspiration Point. Trying to refind it.

-=-=-

Date: 6/7/18 5:02 pm
From: Daniel Scali <daniel.s.scali...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Breeding Lazuli Buntings and other McLaren Park fun
Peeps (the human variety),

Last Sunday morning I got photo conformation of LAZBs breeding in a patch
just N of McLaren's Upper Pond. Got some shots of the female carrying food
while the male sang around. Yesterday the male joined the feeding act.
Cornell says 9-11 day nestling period so they'll be a fledgin' soon.

This morning I covered 2 miles of the park and turned up some good action
including fledgling Brown Creepers, a pair of seaward Caspian Terns,
multiple Nuttal's Woodpeckers, a Hairy Woodpecker pair feeding young via a
perfectly round tree cavity, a pair of Tree Swallows harassing a Crow
perched in the Hairy tree, the resident singing Purple Finches, a fast and
loud singing Hutton's Vireo, tons of Hummers, some scheming Brown-Headed
Cowbirds, a bunch of other usual sospechos, with an IMMATURE BROAD-WINGED
HAWK cherry on top. Swainson's Thrushes decided to stay unnoticed and I
guess it was too windy for any summer-type Flycatchers to sally forth.
(Haven't seen any warblers here since 5/23)

Here are a few checklists if you so desire to check them:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46264045

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46370236

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46375338

Bring on the Vagrants!

Dan Scali, Portola & The Richmond

-=-=-

Date: 6/4/18 7:25 pm
From: Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Recent sightings
Mt. Davidson 5/29/18 -

Some late season migrants/breeding birds included:

W.Wood-pewee - 3
Warbling Vireo - 2, one singing repeatedly
Red-breasted Nuthatch
Townsend's Warbler - getting late
BH Grosbeak - 2 females eating red elderberries

Hairy Woodpecker - pair ferrying food to a cavity
Tree Swallow - picking up nesting material and flying into the "forest"

Golden Gate Park5/30/18 -

Birding with Sarah Burton we observed a Great-tailed Grackle singing on the southeast side of Stow Lake. First time I've noted this species in GGP.

Yosemite Slough/Candlestick SRA 5/31/18 -

(5) Semipalmated Plovers at the edge of the Slough in non-breeding plumage might be summering locally

West Sunset District 6/3/18 -

A pair of apparent hatch year Cooper's Hawks were chasing each other over West Sunset Playground in the morning. I'd been noting an adult Cooper's hawk perching on the lights above Sunset Blvd. this spring and hunting the Sunset Circle Rock Pigeon flock so perhaps this is the product of a local nesting effort. A male Brewers Blackbird carrying food to a Metrosideros/aka New Zealand Xmas tree on Lawton between 40-41st was an exciting breeding confirmation for "my block."

The family of House Wrens (4) continued at the NW corner of Pine Lake Park below Wawona @ Escolta. The young were still begging but I did not see any feeding take place.

Dominik Mosur
San Francisco

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#22460): https://groups.io/g/SFBirds/message/22460
View All Messages In Topic (1): https://groups.io/g/SFBirds/topic/21306461
New Topic: https://groups.io/g/SFBirds/post
-=-=-
-=-=-
Change Your Subscription: https://groups.io/g/SFBirds/editsub/858290
Group Home: https://groups.io/g/SFBirds
Contact Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
Email sent to: <lists...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 6/4/18 3:28 pm
From: Paul Saraceni <paulsaraceni...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Westside SF observations, 6/2-3/18
This weekend I birded a few locations on the westside of the City on Sat (6/2) and Sun (6/3) mornings -- Battery Godfrey (6/2 -- with Alan Hopkins for part of the time) and a seawatch from the S end of the Great Highway + N portion of Ft. Funston (6/3).

Observations of local interest:

Battery Godfrey (6/2):

Surf Scoter 2

Red-thr. Loon 1 (basic plumage)

Clark's Grebe 1 (w/40+ W. Grebes)

SEMIPALMATED PLOVER 1 (calling flyover; perhaps a locally summering bird)

Peregrine Falcon 1 (perched atop GG Bridge)

Band-tailed Pigeon 27

Vaux's Swift 1 (late-ish)

Pac.-slope Flycatcher 1 (calling from cypress tress near parking area)

Swallows: Barn 3, Cliff 4, Tree 1, Violet-green 2

Wrentit 2 (in the vegetation bordering the Battery; very vocal)

W. Bluebird 1

W. Tanager 1

Red Crossbill 4

+ Humpback Whale 1, Harbor Porpoise 2, Cal. Sea Lion 1

Seawatch (6/3):

Surf Scoter 2

Loons: Common 10, Pacific 28, Red-thr. 4 (most in basic plumage)

Whimbrel 1

Heermann's Gull 2 (1 ad./1 1S)

Common Murre 1400+ (numerous flocks, most flying S)

Pigeon Guillemot 2

N. Ft. Funston (6/3):

Cooper's Hawk 1

Swallows: Tree 2, Bank 3, N. ROUGH-WINGED 2

Orange-cr. Warbler 1

SPOTTED TOWHEE 1 m. & 1 f. (their presence together at this time of year is interesting)

Paul Saraceni

San Francisco

Back to top
Date: 6/3/18 10:05 am
From: David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Fort Mason Local Interest - Ash-Throated Flycatcher
There was a small pulse of late migrants this morning at Fort Mason, with the most noteworthy being an ASH-THROATED FLYCATCHER on the hill side above Aquatic Park.  The Battery had a WILSON'S WARBLER, a WESTERN TANAGER, a PACIFIC-SLOPE FLYCATCHER and a very vocal WESTERN WOOD PEWEE (perhaps two). Three HOODED ORIOLES also made their presence known (two were calling males). The most intriguing was a greenish brown warbler in the Battery that I could not get a good look at.

Back to top
Date: 6/2/18 3:57 pm
From: David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Golden Eagle
Flying over Kobbe & Upton - dwarfed the Red-Tailed Hawks below it - white patches in the middle of each wing.

Back to top
Date: 6/2/18 3:41 pm
From: John Luther <aplomado-falcon...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Black Skimmer both counties
Hi All,
While doing a bird survey on the Alameda Reserve on the old Alameda Naval Air Station this morning we saw a Black Skimmer.  It was first in San Francisco Co by the Caspian Tern colony and then flew into Alameda Co.  Sorry there is no public access here, but thought you might want to know.  It might show up any where near there.  This is the second time there has been one in this area.
John LutherOakland

Back to top
Date: 6/1/18 9:04 pm
From: Logan Kahle <logan...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Battery Godfrey 6/1 Black Swifts, Lawrence's Goldfinch
Hi All,

Spent this morning at the Battery Godfrey joined by Hugh Cotter and, for
part of the time, Jonah Benningfield. With calm/light east winds at
periods and slightly warmer temperatures than lately, we had hope for a
late pulse of migrants. We arrived around 6:10, but were disappointed to
see just a dribbling of migrants passing by in the next two hours, but a
large amount activity in the channel occupied our attention for this
period. After that, however, with the dying winds, we experienced a bit
of a push including a few goodies. Highlights for the morning included:

Red-throated Loon-1 in basic was on the late side
Long-billed Curlew-9 in one flyby group was getting on the late side for
coastal migrants
Marbled Godwit-1 exceptionally pale (worn) bird was with the curlews. I
am unsure if this is most likely a late Spring migrant or an early Fall
migrant, but I would presume the former (?)
Heermann's Gull-1 was a first-cycle in the channel
California Gull-600 in the channel was a good count for SF at this time
of year
Band-tailed Pigeon-27
BLACK SWIFT-2 flying north spotted by Hugh are on the late side for this
species in the area
Vaux's Swift-3 to the east of the battery were getting on the late side
Peregrine Falcon-2
Olive-sided Flycatcher-1 seemed to be a migrant
Cedar Waxwing-1
Lazuli Bunting-5 was our highest count of any migrant species today
Red Crossbill-2
LAWRENCE'S GOLDFINCH-1 calling flyover made two different passes
overhead, about 5 minutes appart

Always fun to be at this spot for flight days, even late in the season.

Good birding,
Logan Kahle
San Francisco, CA

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#22455): https://groups.io/g/SFBirds/message/22455
View All Messages In Topic (1): https://groups.io/g/SFBirds/topic/20815833

Date: 6/1/18 3:31 pm
From: Richard Bradus via Groups.Io <grizzledjay=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Caching bees?
Hi all
On a pre-lunch visit to Lafayette Park there were a couple of interesting sights (and sounds). First was an adult male nuttalli White-crowned Sparrow singing from multiple perches around the north entrance to the park (off Washington St.), a very unusual occurrence here even though multiple WcSp nest just a few blocks to the west in and around Alta Plaza Park, as well as along the immediate coast. The lone Red-tailed Hawk fledgling also made an appearance, still flying awkwardly but getting better day by day, to the consternation of the robins and blackbirds.
But I spent most of my time transfixed by the Acorn Woodpeckers. Unlike on recent visits where they could be seen making repeated feeding runs back and forth to their nest cavity, today they were exploiting a new food source - bees! A swarm of bees has occupied a large cavity in a eucalyptus at the south edge of the upper circle and at least three of the resident AcWP were actively pursuing them, often catching them in flight, making quick sorties from nearby perches, one after the other. Then, something totally unexpected: I followed the woodpeckers after they caught bees and, rather than going to the nest to feed the hidden chicks, they generally flew to nearby tree trunks and branches that they used as acorn granaries. It appeared that they were stuffing the bees into the granary holes, or sometimes pecking out a smaller hole to deposit their prey. Presumably they are caching the insects for later, just as they do the acorns in the fall. Wow!
Breeding season is in full swing, with baby birds begging and popping out all over. Get out there and take some time away from chasing rarities to check out the locals - you just might discover some other interesting behavior.Have fun!

Richard BradusSan Francisco

Back to top
Date: 6/1/18 9:29 am
From: Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Female Wood Duck @ Stow Lake
Ken et al.,

Be mindful that there has been a resident/non-flying due to a pinioned wing, female Mandarin Duck at Stow Lake for at least the past 1.5-2 years that has been reported as a female wood duck a number of times.

I would suggest closely studying any apparent "female Wood Duck" seen at Stow to make sure it is not the aforementioned bird.

Thank you,

Dominik Mosur
> On Jun 1, 2018, at 09:17, Ken Moy <ken.moy62...> wrote:
>
> Went to Strawberry Hill on Thursday, May 31 with hopes of a rose breasted grosbeak sighting (unfulfilled). At 8:30 spotted a female wood duck near the mid-point of the south shore. It was sitting on a bare patch of ground preening, then roosting in the open with head tucked under. The area is at the beginning of an uphill trail that starts out with 3 stone steps.Later went by the boathouse but the drake wood duck seemed indifferent when I told him about the female.
>
> Good birding,
>
> Ken Moy

Back to top

Date: 5/31/18 11:18 am
From: Tom Scott <tom...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Looking for ID help
Hopefully this type of post isn't frowned upon but I'm stuck. Up until now I've been able to figure out a bird using my go-to resources (FB Groups/books/apps/etc.) but not this one. I might be totally off (so don't laugh if I am!) but I'm thinking it's an immature Hooded Oriole. It was taken on Tuesday morning at Rolph Playground in the Mission (Hampshire/Cesar Chavez). Any guidance would be appreciated!

Tom Scott
San Francisco, 5/31/18

Back to top
Date: 5/29/18 10:36 pm
From: Paul Saraceni <paulsaraceni...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Brewer's Sparrow @ Cole Valley, SF, 5/29/18
This morning (5/29) a BREWER'S SPARROW briefly dropped into the trees behind my house. This is in an area of contiguous backyards (not visible from the street) in Cole Valley between Stanyan/Shrader and Parnassus/Grattan. I was watching from my deck when I noticed a sparrow fly into and land in a leafless tree. On close view it was a Spizella sparrow with streaked crown and back, eye ring but otherwise muted facial pattern, and dull unstreaked underparts. After about a minute it flew into another yard out of view and did not reappear.

There is some precedent for rare sightings of Brewer's Sparrow in SF in late spring of which I'm aware -- from Mt. Davidson (5/18/01, 5/28/04) and Corona Heights (late May some years ago fide Dominik Mosur).

I also observed an Olive-sided Flycatcher in my neighborhood yesterday and today.

Paul Saraceni

San Francisco

Back to top
Date: 5/29/18 1:25 pm
From: Jonah Benningfield via Groups.Io <falco1440=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Battery Godfrey - Evening Grosbeak etc.
This morning, I spent about 2 hours and 40 minutes skywatching from Battery Godfrey, starting at 6:25. Winds were initially very light and from the southwest, but throughout my watch they shifted to the west and got stronger, at which point activity noticeably dropped.
The undoubted highlight of the morning was an EVENING GROSBEAK that flew over, calling within a flock of Cedar Waxwings. A more complete list of notable birds is as follows:

Black-crowned Night Heron - An unusual bird for the battery, I had one bird flying northeast at around 6:55 am. First for BG since 2015 according to eBird

Bullock's Oriole - I had a pair call from the cypresses behind the battery, which then flew over my head

Western Kingbird - Good numbers, at least 4, possibly 5. Landed for a brief time in the small cypresses just east of the battery

Western Wood-Pewee - Seen briefly in flight at heard well

Red Crossbill - At least 3 different birds, but likely more. A minimum of 2 were seen as a male and female landed on the short cypresses just east of the battery, but I heard and saw RECR other times as well, which may or may not have been the same birds

Cliff Swallow - Almost certainly from the Fort Scott birds

EVENING GROSBEAK - At 6:43 am, a flock of around 25 Cedar Waxwings flew over, calling. Within them, I heard a call that was clearly not a CEWA, so I picked through the flock as they passed over my head. The call I heard was a short, dowslurred call, with a little bit of a rough quality to it. As soon as I got on the bird, I noted clear white wing patches, but unfortunately I was not able to tell if the white was on the secondaries (male) or the bases of the primaries (female). Given that the patches looked more to the center of the wings, and I got no color on the bird, I'm inclined to call it a female, but I'm really not sure on that. Additionally, the EVGR was clearly bigger that the CEWA, which fits with the measurements of both that I looked up after seeing it (CEWA wingspan is 12 inches, EVGR is 14). Sadly, I was not able to get any photos on the first pass, and the birds did not circle back over the battery.

Complete checklist is here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46136461

At the Fort Scott community garden, a Swainson's Thrush was another good migrant for late May.

good birding,
Jonah B.

Back to top
Date: 5/29/18 8:10 am
From: David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Rose Breasted Grosbeak at Stow Lake
Singing nest waterfall on Strawberry Hill. Wood Duck continues as well.

Back to top
Date: 5/29/18 8:05 am
From: David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Correction
I meant singing near, not singing nest.

Back to top
Date: 5/28/18 7:36 pm
From: H Cotter <chatwren...>
Subject: [SFBirds] 05.28.18- NW SF- Broad-winged Hawk
Paul Saraceni and I spent a few hours this morning checking out various
spots on the NW side of SF including Battery Godfrey, Cliff House, East
Wash, Fort Miley East and Fort Scott.
Migrants were few and far between in spite of the heat.

Meeting up with David Assman and Bob Dunn at Fort Scott; the highlight of
our morning was an apparent light morph immature Broad-winged Hawk that
flew north over the west side of Fort Scott. Linda Sanson reported on ebird
a Broad-winged Hawk also this morning from Sutro Forrest so potentially the
same bird albeit approx 1 hr 45 minutes later.

Other sightings included;

Battery Godfrey
Red Crossbill - 2
Hooded Oriole - 1
WW Peewee - 1
Cliff Swallow - 4
Western Tanager - 1 - singing

Cliff House
Heerman's Gull - 3 ( first summer and second year bird)
Many Murres and Pigeon Guillemots

East Wash/ Fort Miley East
OC Warblers - continuing youngsters with parents
Red Crossbill - 2
OS Flycatcher - 1

Fort Scott
BW Hawk -1
Four species of swallow

Hugh

Back to top
Date: 5/28/18 1:55 pm
From: Linda Swanson <lswanson...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Wood Duck at Stow Lake
An adult male Wood Duck has presumably returned to its roost location of previous years at Stow Lake in Golden Gate Park. It is roosting on branches just over the water, east of the Boathouse, and at the northwest end of the lake.

Linda Swanson

Back to top
Date: 5/28/18 1:35 pm
From: Scott Bowers <sfbirds...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Potrero Hill - 9/28 Ash-Throated Flycatcher Continues
Also Hooded Oriole, Western Wood Pewees, 2 Striped Skunks.

Back to top
Date: 5/28/18 1:17 pm
From: William Grant <wbgrant...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Phainopepla
I think I saw the Phainopepla at El Polin Springs just after 12:00 noon today, May 28.

Black bird, about jay size, flew S to land near the top of a deciduous tree N of the tennis courts at Julius Kahn Park, Emitted single notes similar to those in the second call at this website https://www.audubon.org/field-guide/bird/phainopepla
Did not have binoculars as I jogged to get there
It was there for about 2-3 minutes, then flew W.

Bill

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#22443): https://groups.io/g/SFBirds/message/22443
View All Messages In Topic (1): https://groups.io/g/SFBirds/topic/20401172

Date: 5/28/18 11:14 am
From: Daniel Scali <daniel.s.scali...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Peregrine Pair — Battery Godfrey
All,

This morning had 2 Peregrine’s flying together below the bluff line toward
gate. Also an Ash-Throated Flycatcher, an Oriole sp., and a flock of 70
doves also Nbound (couldn’t tell if Band-Tailed or Eurasian -Collared).
Pretty sure I heard a Flicker too...

Dan Scali,
the Richmond

Back to top
Date: 5/28/18 8:48 am
From: David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Yellow Fronted Canary
There is a YELLOW-FRONTED CANARY in the Fort Mason Community Garden.

Back to top
Date: 5/27/18 8:47 pm
From: David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Fort Mason and El Polin - Phainopepla, Flycatchers, Oriole, Grosbeak and Tanagers
Started the morning at Fort Mason, where almost all the action was, again, in the Battery.  In addition to a PACIFIC SLOPE-FLYCATCHER and two WESTERN WOOD-PEWEES, the Battery had a WILSON'S WARBLER and a YELLOW WARBLER. A BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK was singing. Saw a total of five WESTERN TANAGERS (four in the Battery and one near the garden). A HOODED ORIOLE was in the Battery as well. After that headed off to El Polin Springs, where a PHAINOPEPLA was in a snag close to the spring until a CALIFORNIA SCRUB JAY chased it.  The only other migrant at El Polin Springs not mentioned by Dominik was a SWAINSON'S THRUSH eating berries.

Back to top
Date: 5/27/18 7:46 pm
From: Paul Saraceni <paulsaraceni...>
Subject: [SFBirds] NW SF, 5/27/18
This morning I birded Battery Godfrey (BG) for a couple of hours to see what might be moving in light SE winds, until the winds turned from the SW and fog encroached. I then made short visits to Kobbe/Upton-Ft. Scott, Lobos Dunes, and a quick look from near the Cliff House.

Observations of local interest:

Surf Scoter 2 -- on water off BG

Pacific Loon 13 -- on water off BG

Snowy Egret 4 -- singles flying over the GG Channel off BG

Osprey 1 -- flying N past BG

HEERMANN'S GULL 2 1S -- surprising to see 2 first-summer birds with the gull flock on the big rock near Sutro Baths

ELEGANT TERN 1 -- lingerer out in GG Channel off BG

Caspian Tern 22 -- fly-bys from BG

Band-tailed Pigeon 25 -- in 2 flocks over Ft. Scott

Eur. Collared-Dove 12 -- over BG

N. Flicker 1 -- heard calling from BG; perhaps on territory

Nuttall's Woodpecker 1 -- heard calling from BG

W. Kingbird 2 -- briefly perched and flew S from BG

Cliff Swallow 12 -- 10 in 2 groups flew out high over GG Channel from BG; 2 flying with Barn Swallows @ Ft. Scott

Wrentit 1 -- heard calling from BG

Bewick's Wren 2 -- singing @ Lobos Dunes

Cedar Waxwing 1 -- calling fly-over @ BG

Or.-cr. Warbler 1 -- singing from dense willow clump @ Lobos Dunes

Wilson's Warbler 2 @ BG

Yellow Warbler 2 @ BG

W. Tanager 1 -- calling fly-over @ BG

Hooded Oriole 3 -- calling fly-overs @ BG

Also: Humpback Whale 3 in tight group in GG Channel off BG

Paul Saraceni

San Francisco

Back to top
Date: 5/27/18 7:04 pm
From: Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur...>
Subject: [SFBirds] BREEDING (?) House Wren, f. RB Grosbeak, migrants et al 5/27/18
It was a fine day to be out.

I started with a biking loop of West Golden Gate Park with the following of note

Western Wood-pewee - 3
Pacific-slope Flycatcher - continues on territory
Warbling Vireo - 1
Western Bluebird - W. maintenance yard
Bunting sp. - heard only

Full list here:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46066866

Then made a visit to Land's End (mostly East wash):

Warbling Vireo - west wash
Yellow Warbler - east wash singing
Orange-crowned Warbler - adult and juvenile continue at east wash
Rose-breasted Grosbeak - female at east wash

After hearing about David Assmann's great find of Phainopepla I headed over to El Polin. In addition to the phainopepla birds of note here were:

Pacific-slope Flycatcher - singing
Lazuli Bunting- m and f at spring, 2nd male singing below inspiration point
Black-headed Grosbeak

I then did a brief seawatch from the south end of Ocean Beach and proceeded to do a biking loop of Lake Merced. Notables were:

Hutton's Vireo - adult with fledgling in willows near Mesa Rookery overlook
Yellow Warbler - singing at boathouse and gun club marsh

A full list here:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46082245

I ended my day at Pine Lake park where in addition to (3) migrant Western Wood-pewees was a big surprise with an adult male HOUSE WREN feeding a recently fledged, weakly flying juvenile. This would appear to be the first DOCUMENTED nesting of House Wren in San Francisco. However, Brian Fitch had an intriguing report from early May of a possible juvenile House Wren near the Bison Paddock, and there was a credible report of (2) house Wrens earlier this month from Land's End near Sutro Baths, where two House Wrens wintered and were both present into early March.

The spread of House Wren goes along with the trend of increased average temps and aridity on the coast.

Dominik Mosur
San Francisco

Back to top
Date: 5/27/18 4:20 pm
From: Ralph McKinnon via Groups.Io <mmushkat=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Phainopepla at El Polin Springs
Last seen around 2pm 50m uphill from loop to JK playground
On Sunday, May 27, 2018, 3:53 PM, Sarah Burton <burtosarah...> wrote:

Still there? Will depart immediately to find the bird unless it moved on.
On Sun, May 27, 2018 at 10:17 David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...> wrote:

flying back and forth

Back to top
Date: 5/27/18 4:09 pm
From: William Grant <wbgrant...>
was seen around 2:15, E side near buildings.Bill

Still there? Will depart immediately to find the bird unless it
moved on.
On Sun, May 27, 2018 at 10:17 David Assmann via Groups.Io
<david_assmann=<yahoo.com...> wrote:

flying back and forth

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#22436) | Reply To Sender | Reply To Group | Mute
This Topic | New Topic

Change Your Subscription
Group Home
Contact Group Owner
Terms Of Service
Unsubscribe From This Group
_._,_._,_

Back to top
Date: 5/27/18 4:07 pm
From: Sarah Burton <burtosarah...>

<yahoo.com...> wrote:

> flying back and forth

Back to top
Date: 5/27/18 11:58 am
From: Linda Swanson <lswanson...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Mt Sutro Forest OSR 5/27/18
Good birding this morning at the Mt Sutro Forest Open Space Reserve, the lower and upper Historic Trails, North Ridge Trail, the summit at Rotary Meadow, Nike Road, and the Fairy Gates Trail. A male Western Tanager in bright breeding plumage at the summit was the new migrating species. Species detected were: Red-shouldered Hawk, Band-tailed Pigeon (17 at summit), Mourning Dove, Anna's and Allen's Hummingbird, Hairy Woodpecker, Red-masked Parakeet (flyovers), Olive-sided Flycatcher (top of lower Historic Trail near Medical Center Way), Pacific-slope Flycatcher, Hutton's Vireo, Warbling Vireo, Steller's Jay, California Scrub-Jay, Common Raven, Chestnut-backed Chickadee, Bushtit, Pygmy Nuthatch (including a pair entering and exiting a nest hole in a eucalyptus at the summit), Pacific Wren, Swainson's Thrush, American Robin, Orange-crowned Warbler, Townsend's Warbler (seen and heard at summit), Wilson's Warbler, Song Sparrow, California Towhee, Western Tanager (summit), Black-headed Grosbeak (4: two at top of lower Historic Trail near Medical Center Way, one on upper Historic Trail, one at summit), and House Finch.

Linda Swanson

Back to top
Date: 5/27/18 10:52 am
From: Alan Hopkins <alanhopkins...>
Subject: [SFBirds] GGP B&W
 This morning there was a Black & White Warbler at Stow Lake in Golden Gate Park. The warbler was on Strawberry Hill near the water between the Chinese Pavilion and the flowering Buckeye tree.

Alan S. HopkinsSan Francisco, CALink to art website

Back to top
Date: 5/27/18 10:17 am
From: David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Phainopepla at El Polin Springs
flying back and forth

Back to top
Date: 5/26/18 11:00 am
From: David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Flycatchers and Tanagers at Fort Mason
Lots of activity in the Battery at Fort Mason this morning.  At least two WESTERN WOOD-PEWEES (saw two chasing each other - kept popping up) were very actively flycatching and calling.  At least five WESTERN TANAGERS (3 males and 2 females), with one doing its dawn song as well as calling.  Best bird was an ASH-THROATED FLYCATCHER in the lower Battery. Saw an OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER in the Battery, and then again on the slope above Aquatic Park. One HOODED ORIOLE. A VAUX'S SWIFT flew over.

Back to top
Date: 5/25/18 11:40 am
From: David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Fort Mason Local Interest
A little more action this morning at Fort Mason with the change in weather. A WESTERN WOOD-PEWEE and an OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER were in the Battery (I also had an Olive-Sided there Tuesday and Thursday).  At one point they perched close to each other, allowing me to see the distinct difference in body shape between the two. Also had a BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER in the Battery. A HOODED ORIOLE was calling as well. Lots of tern activity - virtually every time I looked up a CASPIAN TERN was flying over, and three species of tern were fishing in the Bay - CASPIAN, FORSTER'S and ELEGANT. A WILSON'S WARBER was in the Battery Thursday - I didn't see or hear a warbler today. On Tuesday a GREEN HERON flew by, heading west.

Back to top
Date: 5/25/18 9:04 am
From: Brian Turner <brianturner6...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Log cabin trail migrants
I observed an assortment of migrants on a stroll down the log cabin trail in Golden Gate Park this a.m. from 7:30-8:15: Black-Headed Grosbeak, Western Wood Pewee, Pacific Slope Flycatcher, and a male Western Tanager in breeding plumage. The tanager was high in the eucs on the west near the Japanese tea garden and flew to the north.

Also of note, yesterday a Common Yellowthroat was singing at Elk Glen Lake.

Good birding,
Brian Turner

Back to top
Date: 5/24/18 11:14 pm
From: Felix Rigau via Groups.Io <flix=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Presidio - El Polin
Presidio – El Polin

With some nice repots of late spring migrants, I spent some time birding at El Polin yesterday evening and again early this morning. With cool overcast skies I had some interesting sightings that included very accommodating looks of a Lazuli Bunting and Olive-sided Flycatcher on the upper part of the Ecology Trail. The male Bunting was actively singing and feeding on seeds of tall-stemmed grasses by the trailside while directly on the other side of the trail in open view I spotted an Olive-sided Flycatcher perched on a snag that I first heard singing as I approached the area only to go silent for the duration of the time that I was there.

At the top of El Polin circle I had a group of Cedar Waxwings in the willow, while nearby in the area I also spotted Pacific-slope Flycatcher, Swainson’s Thrush, Hutton’s Vireo, Wilson’s Warbler, Orange-crowned Warbler and Allen’s and Anna Hummingbirds. A Cooper’s and Red-tailed Hawk were seen overhead in flight as well as a group of Band-tailed Pigeons. Also a large group of Robins were singing and foraging in the newly restored Tennessee Hollow drainage by Lover’s Lane. A solo Western Bluebird was perched on a wire by the housing area.

Good Birding

Felix Rigau

Back to top
Date: 5/24/18 4:21 pm
From: Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Land's End/Lincoln Park/Fort Miley
Did a mid-day loop of the area, East Wash to West Wash to Battery Chester ending on the Plateau east of the VA.

A few migrants around:

WILLOW FLYCATCHER- photographed a calling individual on Battery Chester, rare in spring

Olive-sided Flycatcher- plateau

Western Tanager - east wash

Black-headed Grosbeak- plateau, singing

The Orange-crowned Warbler dad was still singing and feeding his fledgling at East Wash. There were a couple of Red Crossbills there as well, but listen also for a Purple Finch in the area that has as an ending to its song a repeated series of 5-6 Crossbill "jips." There was another Orange-crown singing in the West Wash and a lingering Red-breasted Nuthatch on Battery Chester. Hutton's Vireos seem to be doing well here as well with three different territories.

Dominik Mosur
San Francisco

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#22427): https://groups.io/g/SFBirds/message/22427
View All Messages In Topic (1): https://groups.io/g/SFBirds/topic/20014079

Date: 5/23/18 9:13 pm
From: Josiah Clark <josiah.clark621...>
Subject: [SFBirds] West SF, point counts and breeding confirmations
With the southerly, moist conditions I’ve also been getting out the last few days, as the stream of late spring rarities has definitely begun.
I also had the geese (very late) , 2 oc warbler territories at lands end, 1 in lobos creek-all in willows, also a staging Swainsons thrush.
N Rough winged swallows may be breeding in the new overpass crevices near Crissy Field.
As it happens, peak spring vagrant season (at least 3 weeks left) and the best time to confirm breeding birds confirmations is same time of year.
A stationary, 5 minute Point Count is a quick and effective way to document breeding behaviors while listening deeply into the morning chorus.
I encourage all Ebirders to incorporate this standardized method at fixed points in your birding circuits over the spring and summer (note exactly where) into your birding routine. As usual, very early in the morning is best.
This is probably the single best technique to compare bird propulsion in an area over time.
Lingering, migrant or prospecting red-breasted nuthatches continue at lobos creek and el polin.
Lots of young birds around including nutall’s woodpeckers, hairy woodpeckers, purple finches, lesser goldfinches and tree swallows. Still waiting to confirm a baby Siskin, which are around lands end and Inspiration point.
There has been a surge of new American Robin breeding activity in my area after several years of being scarce and quiet. Young coots, young pied billed grebes and a Ruddy duck pair continue to be sneaking around Mt. Lake park.
It’s some unusual weather out there and I am optimistic it will bring more unusual birds this season.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#22426): https://groups.io/g/SFBirds/message/22426
View All Messages In Topic (1): https://groups.io/g/SFBirds/topic/20007561

Date: 5/23/18 5:01 pm
From: Alan Hopkins <alanhopkins...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Mc Laren Ridge
 Hi,
I had a bunch of classes from Visitaceon Valley Middle School flying kites along McLaren Ridge with help from Rob Collison and Nancy Smith. There were intermittent White-throated Swifts going by as well as Great Blue Herons. After Rob and Nancy left a single Purple Martin flew by as well as what appeared to be a  1st/2nd cycle Glaucous-winged Gull.

Date: 5/23/18 4:27 pm
From: Daniel Scali <daniel.s.scali...>
Subject: [SFBirds] McLaren Grasslands
Hello,

It was going off this morning in some grasslands near McLaren Park's upper
pond. Goodies included multiple male and female Lazuli Buntings singing and
giving location calls, a Chipping Sparrow in breeding plumage, a female
Townsend's Warbler, a Yellow Warbler, Ravens and Crows teaming up against a
Red-Tail Hawk, Hummers mobbing a calling Cooper's Hawk, a resident pair of
Red-Shouldered Hawks, what looked like a Rufous Hummingbird, and a bunch of
your typical riff raff carrying food to hidden nest spots.

I put a couple pics on ebird.

Good birding,
Dan Scali

Back to top
Date: 5/23/18 4:07 pm
From: C Lou <cdlou37...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Belated Report- Mt Davidson Rose-Breasted Grosbeak May 15
Hi ALL,

On May 15, the was a female ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK in the ravine area
at Mt Davidson in San Francisco.

Calvin Lou
SF

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#22423): https://groups.io/g/SFBirds/message/22423
View All Messages In Topic (1): https://groups.io/g/SFBirds/topic/19985172

Date: 5/23/18 2:41 pm
From: Linda Swanson <lswanson...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Summer Tanager at Polo Fields Stables in Golden Gate Park
A male Summer Tanager, with much red plumage, was singing from the top of a low tree above the outdoor horse enclosures at the polo fields horse stables in Golden Gate Park just before 12:00 pm today. It was seen from the path just before entering the polo fields to the right (west). The tanager then flew north toward JFK and was briefly relocated in a pine along the access road to the polo fields stables. This location can be accessed from JFK, across from Spreckels Lake, via a road to the parking area for the stables. The tanager seems to have continued on and was not seen at 1:00 pm. Possible locations to look for the tanager are Spreckels Lake, the Bison Paddock, North Lake, and Chain of Lakes. Good luck, gorgeous tanager!

Linda Swanson

Back to top
Date: 5/23/18 2:13 pm
From: Aaron Maizlish <aaron.maizlish...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Morning birds of note
I spent this morning (8:00-noon) prowling the west side of the city for rarities. Didn’t find any, but May 23rd is as good a day as any to try. Following are a few birds of local interest.

First stop at Lake Merced - Concrete Bridge was heavy overcast with light mist. The best bird for the stop was a basic plumage BONAPARTE’S GULL that was actually standing on the concrete bridge railing with the Western Gulls. A Green Heron was active. For the third time this week I saw a pair of Bank Swallows flying closely together. As I get used to seeing this pair I’m starting to appreciate how different their flight pattern is from NRWS and Tree Swallows. A few evenings ago I had a high count of 30-40 Violet-green Swallows flying around below eye-level in the canal at dusk. Maybe worth checking again.

Next stop was Land’s End - but it was cold with heavy mist bordering on real rain and very low visibility. After 15 minutes I was too cold to stay. If this is really “San Francisco’s Outer Point”, as Dominik put it, then it was acting the part this morning. I next went to Fort Mason, where the weather was better, but it was really dead. Bird of note were two singing Yellow Warblers.

Crissy Field had two GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE on the field with 14 Canadas. A basic plumage Common Loon is still near the pier, and a Green Heron was flying over the waves. A sizable feeding frenzy directly under the south anchorage of the GGB included a decent number of Common Murres and at least one Elegant Tern. Murres are streaming into the bay, one or two at a time.

Last stop, with a Gordo Burrito in hand, was back at West Wash/East Wash. As reported yesterday, Orange-crowned Warblers are singing. Lots of Guillemots and Scoters, and it occurred to me that we should all be checking that rock from time to time to see if the Parakeet Auklet comes back for a third year (in July the last 2x).

I would tell you about all of the mega-rarities that I imagined finding at these locations on an overcast day in late May, but that would just be silly.

Aaron Maizlish
San Francisco, CA

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#22421): https://groups.io/g/SFBirds/message/22421
View All Messages In Topic (1): https://groups.io/g/SFBirds/topic/19958867

Date: 5/23/18 5:44 am
From: Siobhan Ruck <ms.siobhan.ruck...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Breeding bird notes
Had begging chickadee fledglings in the yew at our front door yesterday, presumably from one of the trees at Sunset Reservoir. At least two, possibly three juvs. Based on their behavior and that of the adults, I have to guess that yesterday was their fledge date. This is the first time I’ve seen signs of them breeding around the reservoir.

Siobhan Ruck, SF

> On May 22, 2018, at 9:54 PM, Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur...> wrote:
>
> This afternoon (5/22/18) I birded around Lincoln Park and Fort Miley with Logan Kahle.
>
> In the East Wash we watched a fledgling ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER giving begging calls. An adult male flew in, fed it, then sang. This is the first confirmed breeding success for Orange-crowned Warbler in San Francisco in several years. The other sites in recent times were West Wash and probably Rotary Meadow/Mount Sutro and Mount Davidson.
>
> Last week I confirmed nesting by Savannah Sparrows at Yosemite Slough Restoration, with an adult carrying food to a nest on the grassy plateau above the entrance at Griffith and Thomas. The locally nesting Bryant's Savannah Sparrow is a California Species of Special Concern. It's breeding range in San Francisco expanded from no known sites before 2010, to annual breeding at Heron's Head and now Yosemite Slough.
>
> A Killdeer egg set found at Yosemite Slough
> recently did not last long. It was gone two days later with another pair of Killdeer attempting to distract foraging Ravens nearby.
>
> A pair of tiny avocet chicks at the Hanson Aggregate pond next door to Pier 94 are likely not long for this world either.
>

> Dominik Mosur
> San Francisco

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#22420): https://groups.io/g/SFBirds/message/22420
View All Messages In Topic (2): https://groups.io/g/SFBirds/topic/19810299

Date: 5/22/18 9:54 pm
From: Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Breeding bird notes

View/Reply Online (#22419): https://groups.io/g/SFBirds/message/22419
View All Messages In Topic (1): https://groups.io/g/SFBirds/topic/19810299

Date: 5/21/18 1:58 pm
From: David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Local Interest - North West San Francisco - Greater White-Fronted Geese, Empids
I started the morning retracing Dominik's steps around the Palace of Legion of Honor in order to find Red Crossbills. I entered at 40th and Clement, walked the trail almost to the Palace, turned left and checked out the picnic area, and then made my way back and forth. It took almost two hours, but I found a male and female RED CROSSBILL. Along the way I found a WESTERN WOOD-PEWEE, at least two HAIRY WOODPECKERS and a pair of WESTERN BLUEBIRDS that were checking out a nest hole in a snag.  I also spent a little time at the top of the East Wash, where there were WILSON'S WARBLERS, a WARBLING VIREO, and a PACIFIC-SLOPE FLYCATCHER, as well as at least two other empids I wasn't able to ID, but I'm pretty sure one was a Least Flycatcher. It's probably worth it for someone with more flycatcher experience to check out this area, since there was a lot of flycatcher activity. I then walked the Chain of Lakes, with the only notable sighting being a RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH bathing in the stream at North Lake. I then spent the rest of the morning at Stow Lake, including climbing to the top of Strawberry Hill, where there was a singing BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK.  In Stow Lake, one male NORTHERN SHOVELER dozed at the north end of the lake near the Boathouse. Close by there was a GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE on the grass in with the hordes of CANADA GEESE, constantly calling to another GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE swimming in the lake. The non-migratory male HOODED MERGANSER is now in molt, and was perched on a branch near shore on the west side of the lake.

Back to top
Date: 5/21/18 1:27 pm
From: vinie415 <klibe...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Empid at Candlestick Point today
I saw and Empid at Candlestick Pt SRA this morning.  It was in the area behind the wind harp.  I've reported it as a Dusky.  It sounded more like a Least, but I don't have a great deal of experience with the vocalizations of either one.  It was very responsive to the Least playback, but the behavior was maybe not right.  There was very little wing flicking, (and no downward tail dipping like a Gray).

Photos are in ebird list:

https://ebird.org/view/ checklist/S45901143 ( https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45901143 )
Kevin Liberg
San Francisco

Back to top
Date: 5/20/18 6:33 pm
From: David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Fort Mason Black-Headed Grosbeak and other local interest last few days
Today's participants in the 3rd Sunday GGAS walk at Fort Mason were treated to extended views of a singing, and feeding, BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK on the hillside above Aquatic Park, where a pair of HOODED ORIOLES also foraged. Otherwise, few migrants were around - a lingering YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER in the lower Battery, a WHITE-THROATED SWIFT flying over the Battery and a WILSON'S WARBLER in the garden. A BULLOCK'S ORIOLE was in the garden shortly after sunrise. The number of BRANDT'S CORMORANTS on Alcatraz right now is astounding - I listed 500 on eBird, but I'm sure that is a substantial undercount.

Yesterday (May 19th), there was also a singing male BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK at El Polin Springs (in the willow east of the spring), two LAZULI BUNTINGS on the hillside, and an OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER just south of Inspiration Point.

On Friday the 18th, the highlight at Fort Mason was a BROWN BOOBY flying east (one was reported in Alameda that afternoon after an absence of several days - likely the same bird). There was a singing male BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK at Fort Mason (perhaps the same one seen today), a WHITE-THROATED SWIFT, and a YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER.

On Thursday the 16th I started at Lake Merced, where a RED-NECKED PHALAROPE was swimming north of the concrete bridge; two GREEN HERONS flew over the lake; a VAUX'S and a WHITE-THROATED SWIFT were in with the swallows; and both a WARBLING VIREO and a WESTERN WOOD-PEWEE were near the Vista Grande Canal. Later that morning I went to the East Wash, and down the now almost impassable trail and found a lot of activity, including a SWAINSON'S THRUSH, a WESTERN WOOD-PEWEE, 2 WARBLING VIREOS, a YELLOW WARBLER, 5 WILSON'S WARBLERS, a BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK and 2 ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLERS (I also saw what looked like a hatch year HUTTTON'S VIREO.

Back to top
Date: 5/20/18 4:31 pm
From: William Grant <wbgrant...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Two cygnets at Palace of Fine Arts

Date: 5/20/18 3:35 pm
From: William Grant <wbgrant...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Two signets at Palace of Fine Arts
Pictures here
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45872699

last year I submitted a picture of one signet.
It did not last long.

Happy birding,

Bill

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-