SFBirds
Received From Subject
4/15/24 4:20 pm David Armstrong via groups.io <darmstrong99...> [SFBirds] Big Walk redux
4/13/24 8:39 am Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur...> Re: [SFBirds] who might know about the current parrot population in San Francisco?
4/13/24 8:36 am Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur...> Re: [SFBirds] who might know about the current parrot population in San Francisco?
4/12/24 6:06 pm Harry Fuller via groups.io <anzatowhee...> [SFBirds] who might know about the current parrot population in San Francisco?
4/8/24 9:28 pm Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur...> [SFBirds] misc. observations and a note to eBird users
4/8/24 9:14 pm Davena Gentry <davena...> [SFBirds] Join Donna Pomeroy for a field trip to Las Gallinas, Friday, April 12!
4/8/24 8:54 pm rosita94598 via groups.io <rosita94598...> [SFBirds] Tropical Kingbird comment
4/8/24 6:37 pm Brian Fitch <fogeggs...> Re: [SFBirds] A High Count & Interesting Behavior
4/8/24 6:24 pm Peter Metropulos <pjmetrop...> Re: [SFBirds] A High Count & Interesting Behavior
4/8/24 5:28 pm Brian Fitch <fogeggs...> [SFBirds] A High Count & Interesting Behavior
4/3/24 2:39 pm David Assmann via groups.io <david_assmann...> [SFBirds] City Year total stands at 220 species at the end of March
4/2/24 2:37 pm Alvaro Jaramillo <chucao...> [SFBirds] Spring pelagics - Bodega Bay - Half Moon Bay.
4/2/24 2:04 pm David Assmann via groups.io <david_assmann...> [SFBirds] Fort Mason Today - Western Flycatcher, Palm Warbler, Bullock's Oriole, Western Tanager
4/1/24 4:28 pm Megan Jankowski <mindfuldocumentation...> [SFBirds] Salesforce Park scene report & a Birdathon plug
4/1/24 8:34 am Rishab Ghosh <rishab.ghosh...> Re: [SFBirds] Sf ocean beach seawatch location?
4/1/24 7:11 am Peter Pyle <ppyle...> Re: [SFBirds] Sf ocean beach seawatch location?
3/31/24 9:05 pm Zac Denning <zdenning1...> Re: [SFBirds] Sf ocean beach seawatch location?
3/31/24 4:15 pm Rishab Ghosh <rishab.ghosh...> [SFBirds] Sf ocean beach seawatch location?
3/31/24 8:04 am Daniel Scali <daniel.s.scali...> [SFBirds] Elegants?
3/30/24 12:50 pm Nico Stuurman <nico...> [SFBirds] Bald Eagle over North Lake
3/29/24 3:09 pm David Assmann via groups.io <david_assmann...> [SFBirds] April Arrivals Chart for San Francisco
3/26/24 12:33 pm Nancy Palmer <nancy_palmer...> [SFBirds] Tennessee warbler at North Lake in GGP
3/26/24 11:43 am David Assmann via groups.io <david_assmann...> [SFBirds] Palm Warbler at Fort Mason
3/26/24 11:01 am David Assmann via groups.io <david_assmann...> [SFBirds] Short Billed Dowitcher at Crissy Lagoon
3/25/24 4:45 pm David Assmann via groups.io <david_assmann...> [SFBirds] More signs of spring - FOS Western Kingbird
3/23/24 8:11 am Derek <dlheins...> [SFBirds] GGBA Birdathon Tours – come join us
3/22/24 9:55 am Nancy Palmer <nancy_palmer...> [SFBirds] Palm Warbler at North lake continues
3/21/24 4:40 pm David Assmann via groups.io <david_assmann...> [SFBirds] More Spring observations
3/19/24 6:01 pm Rachel Lawrence <Rachelalawrence...> [SFBirds] Bernal Birders: Coyote with pup(s)
3/19/24 6:00 pm Alan Hopkins <alanhopkins...> Re: [SFBirds] Like the Good Old Days
3/19/24 5:10 pm Brian Fitch <fogeggs...> [SFBirds] Like the Good Old Days
3/19/24 2:08 pm Liam Murphy <liammsf...> [SFBirds] Another Neighborhood Report - Bernal Heights
3/19/24 1:53 pm Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur...> Addendum Re: [SFBirds] recent misc.: end of winter/early spring sightings
3/19/24 12:57 pm David Assmann via groups.io <david_assmann...> [SFBirds] Local Interest last couple of days - FOS Bullock's Oriole
3/19/24 9:26 am Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur...> [SFBirds] recent misc.: end of winter/early spring sightings

Back to top
Date: 4/15/24 4:20 pm
From: David Armstrong via groups.io <darmstrong99...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Big Walk redux
Yesterday I was joined by Dom, Matt and Bob for our 2nd annual spring SF Big Day on foot. Last year 3 of us covered 14 miles in the Presidio, for a total of 103 species. This year we covered a similar distance, mostly in Golden Gate Park, starting and ending in Sutro Heights Park and adding an early-morning seawatch from the Cliff House. We finished with a total of 99 species as a group. I had expected the total to be slightly higher than last year and had we seen a few more migrants or continuing rarities, it would have been. All in all we had decent weather, some nice birds and an enjoyable day in nature, with almost 12 hours in the field.
A few highlights -
- The most surprising sighting IMO was a flyover flock of 15 Great-tailed Grackles at Sutro Heights Park in the early morning, certainly not a species that would be on my radar for that location- Bullock's (1) and Hooded Orioles (2) at Sutro HP- 1 lingering Common Goldeneye (m) on Sutro Baths along with a female Bufflehead- first hearing (then briefly seeing) the continuing TRKI at North Lake. (We heard it sing its staccato, trilled song - and it threw us for a loop. I don't think I've ever heard one vocalize in our area)- Western Bluebird pairs seen at Sutro and the Polo Fields- 1 very pale tan-striped White-Throated Sparrow with GCSP/WCSP flock at Blue Heron Lake- Varied Thrush in the Redwood section of the Arb (Dom only)- Red-breasted Nuthatch calling from the AIDS Memorial Grove- lingering Hermit Thrush at Coon Hollow- Common Yellowthroat (presumed migrant, away from the water) just west of Elk Glen Lake - the only one of the day
Worst misses had to be the now resident Hooded Merganser (which I had seen the day before at BH Lake) and no flyby parakeets either one of which would have pushed us to 100 :-)
Composite checklist is below for those who are interested, and Dom also created site-specific lists along the way.
https://ebird.org/checklist/S168696210

Back to top
Date: 4/13/24 8:39 am
From: Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] who might know about the current parrot population in San Francisco?
Forgot to add that outside of SF , for several years now they are a regular
presence in Brisbane , probably a break off from the McLaren/Crocker flock.

There's also been a handful of reports from Sausalito and Berkeley that
presumably on a calm warm day (or a series thereof) could've made the
flight from SF.

DM

Back to top
Date: 4/13/24 8:36 am
From: Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur...>

Date: 4/8/24 9:28 pm
From: Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur...>
Subject: [SFBirds] misc. observations and a note to eBird users
happy spring everyone,

First I wanted to add to the Tropical Kingbird spring "departure"
dates. A quick search of the eBird database shows two SF last dates of
5/10 for the bird that wintered in the Sutro Baths area in 2021 and
Lake Merced in 2015.

But there are two much later dates nearby; 5/29/2014 for a bird that
was being seen around SamTrans Marsh in north San Mateo County and
6/2/2020 for a bird observed in Muir Beach Marin County.

Other news of local interest in reverse chronological order:

this evening (4/8) at Pine Lake Park I encountered the first 2024
model fledgling Song Sparrows. with a mean incubation period of 13
days and 10 days from hatching to fledging this would indicate eggs
laid on about 3/18 . This is on the early side although poring through
atlas dates from nearby counties earliest fledge date for Santa Clara
is 4/1.

during point counts on Mount Sutro yesterday (4/7) I noted a
persistently singing Orange-crowned Warbler along the Mystery trail. I
suspect this is the same bird that was singing away from this spot on
a March 18th survey and perhaps even the same bird that was singing
from this location last spring (2023). Orange-crowned warbler is a
rare/very localized breeder in SF. In the past two decades to my
knowledge it has been confirmed only from the Land’s End /West Wash
area and the coastal bluffs above baker beach in the Presidio but
suspected of attempted breeding (by virtue of presence on territory
through spring) on Mounts Davidson and Sutro.

Other birds of note on the survey included at least (5-6) persisting
Varied Thrushes which have been around all winter and a Red-breasted
Nuthatch. the latter a species not seen here since last November.

on (4/3) while biking to work along Clarendon at the edge of Laguna
Honda Canyon I observed an American Robin dismantling, killing and
ultimately consuming a California Slender Salamander.

heading to court for jury duty (3/26) a Black-throated Gray Warbler
was seen briefly in a street tree at the SW corner of 11th and
Harrison, far from any suitable habitat. This was possibly an early
side migrant or more likely another overwintering BT Gray.

Finally, I would like to mention to all the people who enter their
sighting into eBird two simple ways to make your data more valuable is
by briefly noting the weather conditions (temperature, cloud cover,
wind speed and direction) at the time and by using breeding codes
where appropriate. If you have questions on how to use the codes
please don't hesitate to contact me off list.

thank you for reading and happy birding to all,

Dominik Mosur
San Francisco

Back to top
Date: 4/8/24 9:14 pm
From: Davena Gentry <davena...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Join Donna Pomeroy for a field trip to Las Gallinas, Friday, April 12!
Hello,

There are openings for Donna Pomeory's field trip to Las Gallinas in San Rafael next Friday, April 12, 9:00 am - 12:00 pm. Sign up today: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/las-gallinas-tickets-859756744567

And don't miss her talk the night before during our Monthly Meeting on Thursday, April 11. The topic is Japan's Iconic Species; she'll discuss her recent visit and share her incredible photos. Join us from the comfort of your own home; this meeting is strictly on Zoom. https://sequoia-audubon-org.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZAqc-urrT4uGtyQ1AQtK7EnoL49IC1XW_iG

Back to top
Date: 4/8/24 8:54 pm
From: rosita94598 via groups.io <rosita94598...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Tropical Kingbird comment
The Tropical Kingbird which visited Heather Farm Park in Walnut Creek for six-and-a-half winters, maybe seven, typically arrived in October and disappeared in April.  It still amazes me the fidelity of this bird to the same general location for so many winters.  Thanks for the notes on the San Francisco birds.
Hugh B. HarveyWalnut Creek

Back to top
Date: 4/8/24 6:37 pm
From: Brian Fitch <fogeggs...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] A High Count & Interesting Behavior
So we can’t blame global warming for the current situation! Thanks Peter.
Brian

On Mon, Apr 8, 2024 at 6:23 PM Peter Metropulos <pjmetrop...>
wrote:

> TROPICAL KINGBIRD: Historical breeding season record.
>
> During the winter of 1976-77, two TROPICAL KINGBIRDS were present at North
> Lake in Golden Gate Park. I was attending SF State at the time so I
> frequently birded GGPark.
> I observed one of these birds as late as May 27. A friend of mine who was
> in my Ornithology class told me he saw the kingbird on June 4 !
>

> PS: I need to dust off my old SF field notes & get them into the archives.
>

> Peter Metropulos
>
> On Monday, April 8, 2024 at 05:28:56 PM PDT, Brian Fitch <
> <fogeggs...> wrote:
>

> At the Sutro Baths today, a flock of roughly 280 Elegant Terns was
> dominating a feeding frenzy out in the GG channel. This was in addition to
> many more Elegants flying in and out simultaneously nearer to my watch
> point. In 28 years of covering this site, I can’t recall ever seeing a
> single flock beyond double digits, so the relatively new spring presence of
> the species here has become quite phenomenal.
> At North Lake, I looked up toward a very vocal Red-shouldered Hawk in
> flight and saw the Tropical Kingbird attacking it, before returning to a
> perch on the southern island. This kingbird has already shown amazing
> fidelity to the area since sometime last year, but does the territorial
> behavior mean that it will stay around for the breeding season? A
> rhetorical question for now.
> Brian Fitch

Back to top

Date: 4/3/24 2:39 pm
From: David Assmann via groups.io <david_assmann...>
Subject: [SFBirds] City Year total stands at 220 species at the end of March
The highlight of the month was a White-Tailed Eagle spotted on March 15th at Battery Godfrey - first City record, first California record and only the second for the continental United States, bringing the San Francisco City List to 435. 17 other species were first seen in March including Red-Footed Booby, Tennessee Warbler, Red Knot and Purple Martin. End of Month Total - 220 Species - three short of last year's record 223 Species as of the end of March. The entire list can be seen at https://sfbirds.net/2024-city-cumulative-list

Back to top
Date: 4/2/24 2:37 pm
From: Alvaro Jaramillo <chucao...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Spring pelagics - Bodega Bay - Half Moon Bay.
Hello all,

Happy spring! We are getting into the thick of it, and while you are
enjoying orioles and warblers coming back from the south, remember that the
marine birds are also on the move. Spring can be an exciting time to be
offshore, with northbound shearwaters, phalaropes, Sabine's Gulls, and
breeding plumage alcids. Lots is going on. In particular, it is a time when
some of the rarer offshore petrels can be found nearer to shore. It is peak
time for Murphy's, and a good time for Hawaiian and maybe Cook's petrels.
They are dependent on warmer water, and often windier conditions. It is also
a superb time out there for Laysan Albatross, and who knows maybe even the
rarer Short-tailed Albatross as there has been one seen in northernmost
California already. Note that we have a multi sanctuary permit that allows
us to do some chumming while offshore. This would apply to both of these
trips.

Water is warmer than usual offshore at this point, hopefully that remains
that way into late April.

Our two spring trips are Apr 28 - Bodega Bay and Cordell Bank

And May 11 - Half Moon Bay, to the Pioneer Canyon in San Francisco county.

You can sign up here, or choose one of the Farallon or pelagic trips later
on in the season. We visit the Farallon Islands in the breeding season
(summer), while the peak offshore pelagic season begins in July and goes
until October.

https://www.alvarosadventures.com/pelagic-dates-2024.html

good migration birding!!

Alvaro

Alvaro Jaramillo

<mailto:<alvaro...> <alvaro...>

<http://www.alvarosadventures.com> www.alvarosadventures.com

Back to top
Date: 4/2/24 2:04 pm
From: David Assmann via groups.io <david_assmann...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Fort Mason Today - Western Flycatcher, Palm Warbler, Bullock's Oriole, Western Tanager
Birdcast reported 23,800 birds flying over San Francisco last night, so I expected that there would be a number of birds at Fort Mason.  I had my highest species total for the year, with 60 species. Highlights included a beautiful adult male BULLOCK'S ORIOLE on the west side of the garden and my FOS WESTERN FLYCATCHER on the north side of the garden. A PALM WARBLER was bobbing its tail in a tree above Aquatic Park (perhaps the same one spotted on March 26th).  The WESTERN TANAGER continued in the garden. 2 ELEGANT TERNS fly by heading west. I observed HOUSE FINCHES feeding young.

Back to top
Date: 4/1/24 4:28 pm
From: Megan Jankowski <mindfuldocumentation...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Salesforce Park scene report & a Birdathon plug
HI all, please indulge me on a few topics. As the most prolific eBirder of Salesforce Park in terms of checklists, I've been wanting to do a report on this location, mostly focusing on breeding. I also have a note on some downtown Red-tailed Hawk activity and finally a plug: there are still three spots for my Birdathon walk this Saturday ( https://goldengatebirdalliance.app.neoncrm.com/np/clients/goldengatebirdalliance/event.jsp?event=13382& ). It's a combined history of Glen Canyon and bird walk. Evelyn Rose handles the history portion and she's super knowledgeable and engaging about the past efforts and successes to save Glen Canyon.

My summary of Salesforce Park is basically: not a wide diversity of species, not as many migrants/vagrants as Sue Bierman/Ferry Park (though the Ovenbird in 2021 delighted many), but it provides a site for breeding birds that didn't previously exist prior to 2018. Spring and summer is my favorite time here for the breeding birds. Winter can be pretty dead. As to be expected, all breeding birds here are common backyard birds that nest close to humans.

Despite the size, location and amount of human activity, there are some things about the architecture and flora of the park that lends to a pretty birdy breeding season. Several elevator banks and restroom structures are covered with a deep grid trellis and vines. These are basically House Finch condos, to the point where it's hard to estimate how many finches nest here each year. Robins and Anna's hummingbird also nest in the vines, though more frequently on the many trees around the park.

White-crowned sparrows are present year round. I've seen a lot of fledglings, though I've found no nests. I suspect that they nest in some of most inaccessible/off limits areas of the park. Last year I also saw a WCSP feeding a fledgling cowbird.

I've found one bushtit nest (last year), though unfortunately the entire branch was pruned before I determined what stage it was at. I only ever witnessed building. For better of for worse, pruning and weeding seems to happen year round.

In the past two years Mourning Doves have really exploded. One pair successfully fledged three broods in the same nest last year and I found a couple of fledglings that had come from other nests. Today, only birding half of the park I witnessed: one nest with very old nestlings, one nest with nestlings at about the halfway point, two young fledglings, two hatch year birds that were rapidly becoming indistinguishable from adults and another pair of adults that didn't seem to be associated with any of the fledglings.

Switching gears, earlier this year I was ecstatic that a pair of Red-tailed Hawks were taking an interest in a former raven nest right on Market Street in the financial district. Last year the ravens made two attempts, both failures. The second failure was due to intraspecific competition from another pair of ravens. The building owner never noticed the nest and it remained all year. (I'm specifically not naming the building). The red-tails started building, adding to and fixing up the nest. This lasted all February into early March. One day I returned to find the nest completely gone. As I never witnessed incubation it was totally within the building owner's right to remove it, and fairly prudent as once eggs were laid they would have had to file for a permit. It was on a fire escape, but on the top floor of a building where the top several floors are empty. I still occasionally see the birds in the area, so hopefully they've found a better location.

Megan Jankowski
Oakland, CA

Back to top
Date: 4/1/24 8:34 am
From: Rishab Ghosh <rishab.ghosh...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Sf ocean beach seawatch location?
Thank you!

On Mon, Apr 1, 2024 at 07:10 Peter Pyle <ppyle...> wrote:

> Rishab, another good place is the wooden observation deck at Fort Funston.
> Much easier to get to and plenty of parking. When Paul and I are scoping at
> the same time during the SF CBC we get similar species including those you
> list. Good Birding!
>
> Peter
>
> On Mar 31, 2024, at 21:04, Zac Denning <zdenning1...> wrote:
>

> Hi Rishab,
>
> Paul Saraceni could answer this question better, since I believe this is a
> spot where he likes to seawatch. But the CBC area that I started leading
> last year includes the Oceanside Water Pollution Plant, so I'm somewhat
> familiar with the area (though I live in the East Bay). You could probably
> park near the Lake Merced Boathouse, follow the jogging trail South along
> the near side of Skyline Blvd to Great Highway, then cross at the
> intersection to follow the West side of Great Highway, cutting West/uphill
> at the nearest trail junction to your left to get on top of the bluff. The
> other option would be parking in the little parking area on the West end of
> Sloat Blvd (if that's still open), then walking South along the beach. But
> since I don't live in SF, and this isn't my home neighborhood, perhaps
> others will have better suggestions.
>
> Happy birding,
>
> Zac
>

> On Sun, Mar 31, 2024 at 4:15 PM Rishab Ghosh <rishab.ghosh...>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I wanted to know if anyone has suggestions for parking and precise
>> location for the hotspot Ocean Beach--seawatch across from Oceanside Water
>> Polution Plant? on the map it doesn’t look like there’s any parking at the
>> location.
>>
>> I am trying to find a use for my scope, as I invariably bird with my long
>> lens and bins instead, and figured an ocean beach sea watch would be good
>> use and maybe also net me a lifer or two (jaegers, murrelets, auklets).
>> Appreciate any suggestions!
>>
>> thanks
>> rishab Ghosh

Back to top
Date: 4/1/24 7:11 am
From: Peter Pyle <ppyle...>
Rishab, another good place is the wooden observation deck at Fort Funston. Much easier to get to and plenty of parking. When Paul and I are scoping at the same time during the SF CBC we get similar species including those you list. Good Birding!

Peter

> On Mar 31, 2024, at 21:04, Zac Denning <zdenning1...> wrote:
>

> Hi Rishab,
>
> Paul Saraceni could answer this question better, since I believe this is a spot where he likes to seawatch. But the CBC area that I started leading last year includes the Oceanside Water Pollution Plant, so I'm somewhat familiar with the area (though I live in the East Bay). You could probably park near the Lake Merced Boathouse, follow the jogging trail South along the near side of Skyline Blvd to Great Highway, then cross at the intersection to follow the West side of Great Highway, cutting West/uphill at the nearest trail junction to your left to get on top of the bluff. The other option would be parking in the little parking area on the West end of Sloat Blvd (if that's still open), then walking South along the beach. But since I don't live in SF, and this isn't my home neighborhood, perhaps others will have better suggestions.
>
> Happy birding,
>
> Zac
>

>> On Sun, Mar 31, 2024 at 4:15 PM Rishab Ghosh <rishab.ghosh...> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> I wanted to know if anyone has suggestions for parking and precise location for the hotspot Ocean Beach--seawatch across from Oceanside Water Polution Plant? on the map it doesn’t look like there’s any parking at the location.
>>
>> I am trying to find a use for my scope, as I invariably bird with my long lens and bins instead, and figured an ocean beach sea watch would be good use and maybe also net me a lifer or two (jaegers, murrelets, auklets). Appreciate any suggestions!
>>
>> thanks
>> rishab Ghosh

Back to top
Date: 3/31/24 9:05 pm
From: Zac Denning <zdenning1...>
Hi Rishab,

Paul Saraceni could answer this question better, since I believe this is a
spot where he likes to seawatch. But the CBC area that I started leading
last year includes the Oceanside Water Pollution Plant, so I'm somewhat
familiar with the area (though I live in the East Bay). You could probably
park near the Lake Merced Boathouse, follow the jogging trail South along
the near side of Skyline Blvd to Great Highway, then cross at the
intersection to follow the West side of Great Highway, cutting West/uphill
at the nearest trail junction to your left to get on top of the bluff. The
other option would be parking in the little parking area on the West end of
Sloat Blvd (if that's still open), then walking South along the beach. But
since I don't live in SF, and this isn't my home neighborhood, perhaps
others will have better suggestions.

Happy birding,

Zac

On Sun, Mar 31, 2024 at 4:15 PM Rishab Ghosh <rishab.ghosh...> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wanted to know if anyone has suggestions for parking and precise
> location for the hotspot Ocean Beach--seawatch across from Oceanside Water
> Polution Plant? on the map it doesn’t look like there’s any parking at the
> location.
>
> I am trying to find a use for my scope, as I invariably bird with my long
> lens and bins instead, and figured an ocean beach sea watch would be good
> use and maybe also net me a lifer or two (jaegers, murrelets, auklets).
> Appreciate any suggestions!
>
> thanks
> rishab Ghosh

Back to top

Date: 3/31/24 8:04 am
From: Daniel Scali <daniel.s.scali...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Elegants?
A flock of about 75 shorebirds just flew west over McLaren Park very high
up. Sounded like Elegant Terns but not sure.

Dan

Back to top
Date: 3/30/24 12:50 pm
From: Nico Stuurman <nico...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Bald Eagle over North Lake
About 12.46. headed north, seen flying high over east side of lake.
--
Nico Stuurman

Back to top
Date: 3/29/24 3:09 pm
From: David Assmann via groups.io <david_assmann...>
Subject: [SFBirds] April Arrivals Chart for San Francisco
The April Arrivals Chart is now up on SFbirds.net. Based on San Francisco City records for the past 25 years, the chart shows earliest first arrivals and latest first arrivals for bird species that commonly first show up in April (both common and rare species). The chart can be accessed at https://sfbirds.net/april-arrivals You may also want to check the March Arrivals Chart, since many species listed as potentially showing up first in March may not arrive until April  The March chart can be accessed at https://sfbirds.net/march-arrivals

Back to top
Date: 3/26/24 12:33 pm
From: Nancy Palmer <nancy_palmer...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Tennessee warbler at North Lake in GGP
While unsuccessfully trying to relocate the Palm warbler this morning, I had a Tennessee warbler on the south island at North Lake here: 37.7689595, -122.5019477.

Good birding!

Best,
Nancy Palmer
SF

Back to top
Date: 3/26/24 11:43 am
From: David Assmann via groups.io <david_assmann...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Palm Warbler at Fort Mason
In trees along north side of MacArthur

Back to top
Date: 3/26/24 11:01 am
From: David Assmann via groups.io <david_assmann...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Short Billed Dowitcher at Crissy Lagoon
FOS for me - near bridge

Back to top
Date: 3/25/24 4:45 pm
From: David Assmann via groups.io <david_assmann...>
Subject: [SFBirds] More signs of spring - FOS Western Kingbird
A flyover WESTERN KINGBIRD at Fort Mason this morning was another sign that migration is happening. Singing and nest building signs are everywhere (and the newly arrived BROWN-HEADED COWBIRDS are watching). There were at least three singing ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLERS (one in the garden, one behind the General's Residence and one at the Cul-de-sac. Yesterday there were four PIGEON GUILLEMOTS swimming between the piers at lower Fort Mason - today there were nine! A HOODED ORIOLE was behind the General's Residence yesterday. YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS and TOWNSEND'S WARBLERS are singing a lot. Meanwhile the WESTERN TANAGER continues on the west side of the garden, and the RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER is showing signs that it is getting ready to leave - instead of sticking to its usual haunts, it is moving around Fort Mason. An ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRD nest in a conspicous spot in the garden has failed - the one chick that hatched died in the nest, and the remaining three eggs failed to hatch - the mother abandoned the nest a couple of days ago.

Back to top
Date: 3/23/24 8:11 am
From: Derek <dlheins...>
Subject: [SFBirds] GGBA Birdathon Tours – come join us
Our 2024 Birdathon field trips began last week, with many exciting
opportunities ahead through May 11, but they are filling up fast. Sign up
for one or more trips to have our great field trip leaders introduce you to
their favorite birding hotspots while at the same time supporting GGBA. All
registration fees for these Birdathon tours support our mission to protect
birds in the Bay Area and our shared natural environment.

Here’s the link (warning – if the field trip button is “Wait List” vs
“Register”, there’s a good chance it’s a long waiting list so I suggest
selecting one with “Register” to guarantee you’ll join us in the field:

*https://goldengatebirdalliance.org/birdathon-2/tours/
<https://goldengatebirdalliance.org/birdathon-2/tours/>*

Derek Heins

GGBA Board Member

Back to top
Date: 3/22/24 9:55 am
From: Nancy Palmer <nancy_palmer...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Palm Warbler at North lake continues
The palm warbler found by Simon last week continues at north lake on the south end here: (37.7684729, -122.5012386).

Best,
Nancy Palmer
SF

Back to top
Date: 3/21/24 4:40 pm
From: David Assmann via groups.io <david_assmann...>
Subject: [SFBirds] More Spring observations
No new arrivals at Fort Mason this morning (other than perhaps a couple of BROWN-HEADED COWBIRDS), but a lot of nest building and singing. The WESTERN TANAGER continues on the west side of the garden, and one of the ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLERS is singing non-stop. A stop at Kobbe and Upton immediately yielded a WILSON'S WARBLER and my FOS HOODED ORIOLE. VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOWS and BARN SWALLOWS are back flying over the Fort Scott Parade Ground.

Back to top
Date: 3/19/24 6:01 pm
From: Rachel Lawrence <Rachelalawrence...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Bernal Birders: Coyote with pup(s)
Ignore if you never bird Bernal Hill!
A warning for anyone looking for interesting hummingbirds on migration.
Yesterday I went down the overgrown path from Bernal Heights Boulevard through the empty lot to Chapman and Folsom. I stood quietly in the lot waiting to look at hummingbirds. After a while an adult coyote walked within a few feet of me in under some Pride of Madeira. It started to wag its tail enthusiastically and drag its butt along the ground, while whining. Then, in bounded a large pup, there may have been more than one
While this may have been a cool wildlife sighting, as I was within 6 feet of them and nowhere to go without attracting attention, it was somewhat scary. I managed to walk fairly rapidly uphill, but this alerted Ma Coyote, and she growled ferociously. Luckily, Id put a bit of distance between us, so all was well!
Anyway just letting people know as theres not much option of escape down there!
Good birding
Rachel

Back to top
Date: 3/19/24 6:00 pm
From: Alan Hopkins <alanhopkins...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Like the Good Old Days
I agree Brian!
Alan S. HopkinsSan Francisco, CALink to art website

On Tuesday, March 19, 2024 at 05:10:27 PM PDT, Brian Fitch <fogeggs...> wrote:

It’s great to have people writing again; eBird ought to whack itself more often!  It makes me realize that I haven’t been reporting adequately either, yet I don’t have as much news as others since life issues have been blocking my birding.
On 3/11 at the Sutro Baths, 3 Common Mergansers flew together out of the Gate early, while a single White-winged Scoter and 2 Red-necked Grebes flew in separately.  My first Pigeon Guillemot was seen that day too, while today there were at least eight of them.
Yesterday, during a long walk through GG Park, I passed by Elk Glen Lake and found the Orchard Oriole chucking, chattering, and singing a few fragments exactly where Dario reported it Saturday afternoon.  After I got home, another Bald Eagle flew over my house east of Buena Vista Hill, a first year bird.
And finally, I’d like to remind everyone of my report from 11/28/22, in which I rattled the cages about the possibility of White-tailed Eagle in our airspace.  If only it had flown by my house like yesterday’s Bald…Brian Fitch

Back to top

Date: 3/19/24 2:08 pm
From: Liam Murphy <liammsf...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Another Neighborhood Report - Bernal Heights
Hi SFBirders,

Following on Dominik and David’s excellent writeups on the changing seasons, I thought I’d toss in my two cents on what I’ve been seeing over the past few days. It definitely feels as though spring is in the air on the recent warm and clear afternoons, and the bird activity seems to be reflecting this as well.

On Sunday afternoon, while walking the dog up on Bernal Hill, I noted northward movement of TURKEY VULTURES soaring over the city, possibly as many as 5 which is a good count for Bernal. An adult male BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLER flew past me, although proved skulky after that.

Monday morning I headed up Bernal Hill again, and although it was overcast, encountered lots of activity. I got a good look at my first WILSON’S WARBLER of the year. Two (possibly 3) BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHERS were together and active near the north gate of the maintenance road. Many birds were singing and I heard a HERMIT THRUSH testing out his breeding season voice early. Many TOWNSEND’S WARBLERS were singing as well, and a handful of the many YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS I saw were in full breeding plumage, beautiful!

I ate my lunch outside at home on Monday and watched the sky for any active movement. I again noted northbound TUVU, followed by RED-SHOULDERED HAWK and a MERLIN. Several WHITE-THROATED SWIFTS flew over, giving their twittering calls. I definitely encourage anyone with a free lunch hour to look up, the clear, calm early afternoons we’ve been having are lovely and even 15 or 20 minutes might yield a goodie. Also noted during this period was a RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH that has been in our yard periodically since late last fall.

This morning I walked up Bernal Hill yet again. The abundance of warblers was ongoing, and today I also heard WILSON’S and ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLERS sing. A pair of CASPIAN TERNS flew over the hill, my first of the year. On the north side of the hill, I got good looks at a GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLET and less good looks at a yellow oriole, either Hooded or Orchard. The bird felt small and I managed to squeeze off a few photos before it flew away which show two bold and bright wingbars, a relatively short and squared tail, and what looks to be a small bill. These field marks make me lean Orchard Oriole, but the photos are not exactly diagnostic. I’ve attached them here if anyone has any thoughts to share.

Today’s lunchtime skywatch was less active than the 2 days prior, although I did note swifts again and heard our returning nuthatch.

Good birding!
Liam Murphy
Bernal Heights

Back to top
Date: 3/19/24 1:53 pm
From: Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur...>
Subject: Addendum Re: [SFBirds] recent misc.: end of winter/early spring sightings

Back to top
Date: 3/19/24 12:57 pm
From: David Assmann via groups.io <david_assmann...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Local Interest last couple of days - FOS Bullock's Oriole
Went looking for newly arriving migrants yesterday with little success but did see some nice overwintering birds at North Lake, including a SUMMER TANAGER and a WESTERN TANAGER in adjacent trees. Swallows are returning with both TREE SWALLOWS and a NORTHERN ROUGH-WINGED SWALLOW flying over the lake. Today at Fort Mason there was a COMMON LOON in Aquatic Park in full alternate plumage, one of the overwintering ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLERS was singing non-stop, and the overwintering WESTERN TANAGER put in an appearance. A FOS male BULLOCK'S ORIOLE and a WILSON'S WARBLER were present in the garden.

Back to top
Date: 3/19/24 9:26 am
From: Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur...>
The SPRING EQUINOX has passed and birds have responded. Some early migrants
noted recently in reverse chronological order -

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - today (3/19) a first arrival was calling on Corona
Hill at 8 a.m., I did not relocate it half hour later in a thorough search
of the park. A typical/perhaps slightly earlier than the long term average
arrival date the same as -

Wilson's Warblers - at least 3 were singing along the trails on Mount Sutro
OSP during moring point counts yesterday (3/18) . Also singing were a
couple of Orange-crowns but these could be wintering birds singing before
departure as are all the Ruby-crowned Kinglets, Townsend's and Bird
Alliance Warblers.

Sunday, 3/17, I took a birding by ear walk led by Daniel Scali and Rich
Chambers at Candlestick Point State Recreation Area. The highlight for me
was seeing the largest extant colony of breeding (California Bicolored)
Red-winged Blackbirds in full noise and display. This colony is centered
over the currently vacant site of the old Candlestick Stadium which is set
to one day be developed for mixed use that will mostly favor human
activities. In addition to the Red-winged Blackbirds (which if San
Francisco had a locally endangered list would be near the top), Bryant's
Savannah Sparrows (which are STATE LISTED as a Species of Special Concern)
also nest there. Also worth noting was a Red-breasted Nuthatch, (3) Spotted
Towhees singing on territory and a pair of Bewick's Wrens acting familiar.

March 15th was obviously a great day for raptors and Corona Hill was
blessed by first of spring passage of Osprey and American Kestrel.

March 14th, from Battery Godfrey some migrants noted included (16) Cackling
(probably Aleutian) Geese, (6) almost certainly by date Short-billed
Dowitchers (but reported on eBIrd as Dowitcher sp.) and the first arrival
I've noted locally of Pigeon Guillemots of which one was still in basic.

March 13th the wintering Summer Tanager at North Lake which hasn't been
reported in a while made its presence known calling above the restrooms at
19:20, about 5 minutes after sunset.

March 5th, at Buena Vista Park there were still no fewer than (5)
White-throated Sparrows, a good count for SF. At least a couple of
Golden-crowned Kinglets were still present.

The Tricolored Blackbirds which had been roosting at North Lake in Golden
Gate Park were last noted on 3/4.

On 2/28 the northern "Ruber ssp." Red-breasted Sapsucker on Corona Hill was
an unusual visitor, the first I've noted at this park, and possibly a very
early migrant. Observed briefly around mid-day as it passed through the
remnant of the grove on the north side of the park. This grove has been
heavily affected by landslides and emergency tree removal in the last two
years and it will be interesting to see how the local "forest" birds react
to the changes. Already a species of more open space, Western Bluebird, has
reacted positively when a few days back Kenneth Hillan observed a pair
displaying and courting near the entrance to last year's Nuttall's
Woodpecker nest in a dead pine that has thankfully been spared so far.
Western Bluebird has not been known to nest on Corona Hill but perhaps this
year will be the breakthrough.

Also of note on 2/28 was a Western Meadowlark with the blackbird/starling
flock on the Musci Concourse in east Golden Gate Park, a couple miles away
from nearest known wintering site for meadowlark in SF (Presidio/Ocean
Beach Dunes/Lake Merced Gun Club) and even more distant from the top sites
on the Southeast Bayside.

Good birding and Happy Spring to all,

Dominik Mosur
San Francisco