SFBirds
Received From Subject
12/4/21 4:47 pm Nico Stuurman <nico...> [SFBirds] Two Tundra Swans on Lake Merced
12/3/21 11:18 pm Peter & Amy <oshunoxt...> Re: [SFBirds] Mission Creek Yesterday (12/2)
12/3/21 4:41 pm Stephen Schulz via groups.io <steveschulz1...> [SFBirds] Mission Creek Yesterday (12/2)
12/3/21 2:36 pm David Assmann via groups.io <david_assmann...> [SFBirds] Local Interest - Gadwall at Pier 94
11/30/21 9:07 am radiantcreote <acotter...> Re: [SFBirds] Where are the crows headed?
11/29/21 10:56 am Kevin Shrieve <kevin...> Re: [SFBirds] Where are the crows headed?
11/28/21 4:19 pm Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur...> Re: [SFBirds] Where are the crows headed?
11/28/21 3:18 pm William Grant <wbgrant...> Re: [SFBirds] Where are the crows headed?
11/28/21 2:00 pm Kevin Shrieve <kevin...> [SFBirds] Where are the crows headed?
11/27/21 11:49 am Keith Maley <keith.maley...> Re: [SFBirds] Late Broadwinged Hawk 11/27/21
11/27/21 11:40 am Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur...> [SFBirds] Late Broadwinged Hawk 11/27/21
11/26/21 7:26 pm David Assmann via groups.io <david_assmann...> [SFBirds] Chipping Sparrow at Fort Mason
11/25/21 10:49 am Brian Fitch <fogeggs...> Re: [SFBirds] Bald Eagle at El Polin Springs
11/25/21 10:39 am David Assmann via groups.io <david_assmann...> [SFBirds] Bald Eagle at El Polin Springs
11/25/21 12:16 am Mike Correll-Feichtner <feinerVogel94551...> [SFBirds] Continuing Red-naped Sapsucker Fragrance Garden within the San Francisco Botanical Garden within Golden Gate Park.
11/23/21 4:16 pm Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur...> [SFBirds] Recent misc
11/22/21 9:38 am Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur...> Re: [SFBirds] Catbird imposter - botanical garden?
11/22/21 9:31 am Bob Toleno <bob...> Re: [SFBirds] Catbird imposter - botanical garden?
11/22/21 9:12 am Daniel Scali <daniel.s.scali...> [SFBirds] Catbird imposter - botanical garden?
11/21/21 12:52 pm Joel Perlstein <joelperl...> Re: [SFBirds] Buena Vista Park bald eagles
11/21/21 11:18 am Ellen Robinson <ellenerobinson...> [SFBirds] Buena Vista Park bald eagles
11/20/21 1:02 pm David Assmann via groups.io <david_assmann...> [SFBirds] Cliff House - Long Tailed Duck and Rhinoceros Auklet
11/20/21 11:42 am Max Lara via groups.io <max.lara...> [SFBirds] Bald eagle @ Lake Merced wooden bridge
11/19/21 8:56 am Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur...> [SFBirds] Northern Saw-whet Owl on Bernal 11/19/21
11/17/21 7:58 pm David Assmann via groups.io <david_assmann...> [SFBirds] Local Interest - 2 locations - 6 warbler species
11/17/21 7:44 pm David Assmann via groups.io <david_assmann...> [SFBirds] Area Leader Needed for Heron's Head Park for the December 28th Christmas Bird Count
11/17/21 11:23 am David Armstrong via groups.io <darmstrong99...> [SFBirds] Long-tailed Duck
11/17/21 10:10 am Bob Toleno <bob...> Re: [SFBirds] Second Red-naped Sapsucker in Botanical Garden
11/16/21 7:25 pm Nina Bai <aninanina...> Re: [SFBirds] Second Red-naped Sapsucker in Botanical Garden
11/16/21 4:32 pm Bob Toleno <bob...> Re: [SFBirds] Second Red-naped Sapsucker in Botanical Garden
11/16/21 4:14 pm Bob Toleno <bob...> [SFBirds] Second Red-naped Sapsucker in Botanical Garden
11/15/21 6:47 am Rob Cullison <robcullison...> Re: [SFBirds] Red-naped Sapsucker SF Botanical Gardens
11/14/21 5:36 pm Eddie Bartley <eddie...> [SFBirds] Snow Goose Heron's Head
11/14/21 12:30 pm Nico Stuurman <nico...> [SFBirds] HY Canada Warbler continues in Botanical garden
11/14/21 10:22 am Rudyard Wallen <arelist12...> [SFBirds] Summer Tanager in Arbo
11/14/21 10:12 am Yvette MacDonald via groups.io <yvette_macdonald...> Re: [SFBirds] Red-naped Sapsucker SF Botanical Gardens
11/14/21 8:24 am Rob Cullison <robcullison...> Re: [SFBirds] Red-naped Sapsucker SF Botanical Gardens
11/13/21 1:47 pm Alan Hopkins <alanhopkins...> [SFBirds] Red-naped Sapsucker SF Botanical Gardens
11/13/21 10:13 am David Nelson <David...> [SFBirds] Snow Goose
11/13/21 7:46 am David Assmann via groups.io <david_assmann...> [SFBirds] Snow Goose Crissy
11/12/21 1:25 am richard s. cimino <rscimino...> Re: [SFBirds] RTHA on the move over San Francisco
11/11/21 1:49 pm Rudyard Wallen <arelist12...> [SFBirds] RTHA on the move
11/11/21 12:14 pm David Assmann via groups.io <david_assmann...> [SFBirds] San Francisco Christmas Bird Count - Need Area Leaders and a Boat
11/10/21 11:33 am Brian Fitch <fogeggs...> [SFBirds] Sutro Long-tailed Duck
11/9/21 1:20 am Dawn Lemoine <lemonbirder...> [SFBirds] Join Us for 2021 Oakland Chrstmas Bird Count
11/8/21 2:20 pm Brian Fitch <fogeggs...> Re: [SFBirds] Rough legged Hawk
11/8/21 2:11 pm Brian Fitch <fogeggs...> [SFBirds] Rough legged Hawk
11/4/21 1:59 pm <office...> [SFBirds] Sequoia Audubon Nov 11 Hybrid Meeting - Bay Area Ridge Trail Presentation

Back to top
Date: 12/4/21 4:47 pm
From: Nico Stuurman <nico...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Two Tundra Swans on Lake Merced
When I arrived at the concrete bridge around 3 pm this afternoon, there
were two adult Tundra Swans swimming north of the bridge. They did some
interesting head and neck bobbing, kind of like Grebes, then regretfully
took off in North Eastern direction at about 3.30 pm.  Sorry for the
late report, forgot to bring my phone.

Best,

Nico

Back to top
Date: 12/3/21 11:18 pm
From: Peter & Amy <oshunoxt...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Mission Creek Yesterday (12/2)
Having lived in the houseboat colony for 20 years, I can assure you they were always there. When the port and city informed the Marina that the park that had been built and maintained by the Marina was going to be demolished and rebuilt, we were adamant that certain mature trees had to be left because of the BCNH population. Not the most beautiful trees, but the ones popular with the BCNH’s. You can thank the Mission Creek Conservancy for having kept the city and port honest in their dealings vis a vis the welfare of wildlife in and over the creek for better than 30 years. I’m not certain that that will always be possible.

Amy Kuhlmann

> On Dec 3, 2021, at 2:41 PM, Stephen Schulz via groups.io <steveschulz1...> wrote:
>

> Mission Creek is probably the best "hot spot" in the ever growing forest of condos and offices south of the Bay Bridge. On the way to an appointment on Wednesday, I walked through the park on the south side and started counting Black-crowned Night-herons since there seemed to be a lot of them. I counted 15 adult and immatures. That was about 8:30. On the return trip at about 10:30 I counted 10, all adults.
>
> So I decided to get out Thursday morning and see how many I could find. There were 13 in adult or near adult plumage and 5 immatures. Some were in the trees preparing to roost I assume. Since they tend to roost on the water side many of them were across the creek on the north side. Perhaps also because that was the sunny side??
>
> I did find one bird on the south side where I've seen it roost before and later a tree right beside me pooped into the water. A brief investigation located 2 more BCNH in that tree. When I completed the loop on the north side of the creek I saw several that were on the house boats that would have been blocked from view earlier but didn't count since I couldn't be sure they hadn't been in view earlier.
>
> I'm wondering if our resident population had been boosted by migrants from the north east.
>
> Also Peregrine made an unsuccessful attempt at a Kingfisher breakfast.
>
> https://ebird.org/checklist/S98365461
>

> Steve Schulz
> San Francisco
>
> --
> Steve Schulz
> San Francisco

Back to top

Date: 12/3/21 2:36 pm
From: David Assmann via groups.io <david_assmann...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Local Interest - Gadwall at Pier 94
A pair of GADWALL were in the Hansen Pond this morning at Pier 94.The King Tide meant lots of birds close to shore, including 104 AMERICAN WIGEON. At Heron's Head, the ROCK SANDPIPER (picture attached) was on the north side down from the tip, very close to the path. I counted a minimum of 14 WILSON'S SNIPE.

Back to top
Date: 11/30/21 9:07 am
From: radiantcreote <acotter...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Where are the crows headed?
I have a video of this roost from about 9 years ago. Some lawyers in an office contacted me curious if they were ravens or crows (they'd been watching them for years I gathered):

https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/58080876

At that point, they were roosting around the Transamerica Pyramid (only in the winter months). They do move around a bunch before they finally settle just after dark.

There is a similar sized roost in Oakland (probably of similar size to this) at Webster and Grand, aka Uptown, or as I like to call it Crowkland.

Back to top
Date: 11/29/21 10:56 am
From: Kevin Shrieve <kevin...>
Thank you Bill and Dominik, for the interesting information. 960 crows! Wow.

Back to top
Date: 11/28/21 4:19 pm
From: Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur...>
Hi Kevin,

In past falls/winters there’s been a night roost noted in an area near the foot of the Bay Bridge. My personal highest count of crows heading to that roost was 960 at the end of October several years ago. I’d be curious to hear if anyone can track that roost this year for the CBC.

Dominik
> On Nov 28, 2021, at 15:18, William Grant <wbgrant...> wrote:
>

> They used to fly to Rincon Annex on Mission near the Embarcadero.
> I used to count 200 to 300+ there in the evening after dark
> when attending Commenwealth Club meetings near there.
> They like the trees and roofs.
> I have not been there lately, but they are probably still roosting there or somewhere nearby.
> Bill

Back to top

Date: 11/28/21 2:00 pm
From: Kevin Shrieve <kevin...>
From my home on the south side of Mt. Davidson I sometimes see many crows (40+) flying to the northeast, usually late in the afternoon.

Date: 11/27/21 11:49 am
From: Keith Maley <keith.maley...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Late Broadwinged Hawk 11/27/21
Ferrug 11:44 over bridge, headed towards Crissy
> On Nov 27, 2021, at 11:40 AM, Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur...> wrote:
>

> Soaring over Corona Hill right now.
> 11:40 a.m.
>
> Dominik

Back to top
Date: 11/27/21 11:40 am
From: Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Late Broadwinged Hawk 11/27/21

Date: 11/26/21 7:26 pm
From: David Assmann via groups.io <david_assmann...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Chipping Sparrow at Fort Mason
Sparrows were the highlight at Fort Mason this morning, with a CHIPPING SPARROW, a WHITE-THROATED SPARROW and a LINCOLN'S SPARROW in the northwest corner of the garden.

Back to top
Date: 11/25/21 10:49 am
From: Brian Fitch <fogeggs...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Bald Eagle at El Polin Springs
Just flew south over Buena vista
Brian Fitch

On Thu, Nov 25, 2021 at 10:39 AM David Assmann via groups.io <david_assmann=
<yahoo.com...> wrote:

> Circling over hill right now

Back to top
Date: 11/25/21 10:39 am
From: David Assmann via groups.io <david_assmann...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Bald Eagle at El Polin Springs

Date: 11/25/21 12:16 am
From: Mike Correll-Feichtner <feinerVogel94551...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Continuing Red-naped Sapsucker Fragrance Garden within the San Francisco Botanical Garden within Golden Gate Park.
Celebrated the afternoon after my Moderna Booster Shot taking Ron birding in
San Francisco's Golden Gate Park....highlight of the trip was a male
Red-naped Sapsucker, rare to the region in the Fragrance Garden within the
San Francisco Botanical Garden within Golden Gate Park. Thank you, @Daniel
Scali for leading us to the sapsucker. 2nd good find was a male Hooded
Merganser on Slow Lake.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S98035722

Mike Correll-Feichtner (was Feighner)

Back to top
Date: 11/23/21 4:16 pm
From: Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Recent misc
The wintering Tropical Kingbird which has been reported mostly from Sutro Heights Park also visits the edge of Fort Miley across the road. On Sunday 11/21 it was posing nicely in a backyard tree and calling repeatedly around 13:0-13:15, seem from the sidewalk at 48th Avenue and Point Lobos.

A group of at least (5) Acorn Woodpeckers were stashing acorns on the hill above the 6th Avenue Roller Skate Park in Golden Gate Park this afternoon (11/23) These birds have been here for weeks/months (?) and should be a target for the CBC counters in this territory. They also move around to the hill above Lily Pond.

Dominik Mosur
San Francisco

Back to top
Date: 11/22/21 9:38 am
From: Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Catbird imposter - botanical garden?
Great point, Daniel.

Thanks for bringing this up. I’ve certainly gotten hyped up before and been completely certain of an ID only to realize later I was in error. The beauty of birding is that as long as we let it teach us we can continue to learn.

Perennially a student,

Dominik
> On Nov 22, 2021, at 09:31, Bob Toleno <bob...> wrote:
>

> Juli Chamberlin, Scott & Linda Terrill, and i were the observers who heard the Gray Catbird yesterday and we were all confident in the ID. First, the quality of the sound, though somewhat similarly nasal, was noticeably "raspier" than a sapsucker. Scott especially has heard a huge number of catbirds and sapsuckers calling and would be unlikely to confuse the two. Also, the 4-5 calls we heard came from below us, near ground level, from low dense vegetation at the edge of the pond, which is not a location i would expect to hear a sapsucker calling from. It is unfortunate that catbirds are usually so skulky, because we all really wanted to see this bird, and spent nearly an hour waiting at that spot hoping it would show itself.
>
> Bob Toleno
> Hayward
>
>> On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 9:12 AM Daniel Scali <daniel.s.scali...> wrote:
>> Hey birders,
>>
>> Gray Catbird activity has been pretty exciting in SF this fall. I regret not chasing at a time when others could help me find the little mimic. I did go for it last Friday morning as it had been heard by multiple folks away from the reservoir. Instead of the catbird, I refound the same probably hybrid Red-naped Sapsucker in the Guatemalan Fir that others have seen in that area. What was really exciting is that it was calling; sapsuckers have a mew call. Bummed about no catbird but pumped for my first ever HEARD Red-naped (even Red-breasted seem hard to catch in the vocal act), I headed for the north exit. I was steps from the gate when I heard that same mew call behind me and then heard the mew fly east. I searched the Ancient Plant boardwalk behind the pond and located a different Red-naped Sapsucker which continued to vocalize (I'm guessing this is the bird that is normally on the other side of the hill from the boardwalk in the fragrance garden).
>>
>> I believe the catbird has not been seen in approximately two weeks and to me Gray Catbird calls sound pretty close to Red-naped Sapsucker calls. Just yesterday there were more reports of heard Gray Catbird in the exact spot (the Ancient Plants boardwalk) where the sapsucker was calling on Friday. Are we possibly misidentifying these calls? I certainly hope the catbird is still around and that both rarities are gifting us there voices. Happy searching!
>>
>> Good birding,
>> Dan Scali, sf

Back to top
Date: 11/22/21 9:31 am
From: Bob Toleno <bob...>

wrote:

> Hey birders,
>
> Gray Catbird activity has been pretty exciting in SF this fall. I regret
> not chasing at a time when others could help me find the little mimic. I
> did go for it last Friday morning as it had been heard by multiple folks
> away from the reservoir. Instead of the catbird, I refound the same
> probably hybrid Red-naped Sapsucker in the Guatemalan Fir that others have
> seen in that area. What was really exciting is that it was calling;
> sapsuckers have a mew call. Bummed about no catbird but pumped for my first
> ever HEARD Red-naped (even Red-breasted seem hard to catch in the vocal
> act), I headed for the north exit. I was steps from the gate when I heard
> that same mew call behind me and then heard the mew fly east. I searched
> the Ancient Plant boardwalk behind the pond and located a
> different Red-naped Sapsucker which continued to vocalize (I'm guessing
> this is the bird that is normally on the other side of the hill from the
> boardwalk in the fragrance garden).
>
> I believe the catbird has not been seen in approximately two weeks and to
> me Gray Catbird calls sound pretty close to Red-naped Sapsucker calls. Just
> yesterday there were more reports of heard Gray Catbird in the exact spot
> (the Ancient Plants boardwalk) where the sapsucker was calling on
> Friday. Are we possibly misidentifying these calls? I certainly hope the
> catbird is still around and that both rarities are gifting us there voices.
> Happy searching!
>
> Good birding,
> Dan Scali, sf

Back to top

Date: 11/21/21 12:52 pm
From: Joel Perlstein <joelperl...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Buena Vista Park bald eagles
Also seen flying more or less north over the Presidio Hills, from the trail just north of the Presidio Landmark.

> On Nov 21, 2021, at 11:18 AM, Ellen Robinson <ellenerobinson...> wrote:
>

> Pair of bald eagles over Buena Vista Park (Haight St/Baker St) 11/21/21 11:15 am
>
> Ellen

Back to top

Date: 11/20/21 1:02 pm
From: David Assmann via groups.io <david_assmann...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Cliff House - Long Tailed Duck and Rhinoceros Auklet
Lots of activity at the Cliff House this morning (which was in full sun while the Presidio had fog), with the highlight being a female/immature LONG-TAILED DUCK flying north. 2 RHINOCEROS AUKLETS flew south in with the almost countless COMMON MURRES - there were more than 450 during the time I was there.

Back to top
Date: 11/20/21 11:42 am
From: Max Lara via groups.io <max.lara...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Bald eagle @ Lake Merced wooden bridge
Hi,
I just had an adult bald eagle do a few circles before moving on SW towards the concrete bridge.

Max Lara

Back to top
Date: 11/19/21 8:56 am
From: Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Northern Saw-whet Owl on Bernal 11/19/21
Passing on a second hand report from a colleague that a Northern Saw-whet Owl is being seen in a Bernal Hill backyard this morning.

Not chaseable as far as I know but a nice incentive to go looking.

Dominik Mosur
San Francisco

Back to top
Date: 11/17/21 7:58 pm
From: David Assmann via groups.io <david_assmann...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Local Interest - 2 locations - 6 warbler species
A WILSON'S WARBLER in the Fort Mason Community Garden was a nice addition to the three expected warbler species this morning.  This afternoon, in the San Francisco Botanical Garden, the CANADA WARBLER put in an appearance in the Bottlebrush next to the restrooms, and a NASHVILLE WARBLER perched out in the open.  The male RED-NAPED SAPSUCKER was in its usual tree next to the fragrance garden.  Pictures of the Nashville and Wilson's Warblers attached.

Back to top
Date: 11/17/21 7:44 pm
From: David Assmann via groups.io <david_assmann...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Area Leader Needed for Heron's Head Park for the December 28th Christmas Bird Count
The 2021 San Francisco Christmas Bird Count needs one more Area Leader (for Heron's Head) to coordinate a team for the Count, and make sure the data is entered into eBird. Organizational skills, eBird skills and persistence are the main qualities needed (you don’t need to be a top birder to do this). Please send an email to sfcbcount@... ( sfcbcount at gmail.com.) ( sfcbcount@... ) and we will send more information.

Back to top
Date: 11/17/21 11:23 am
From: David Armstrong via groups.io <darmstrong99...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Long-tailed Duck
This morning during a seawatch from the new sand bluff a bit south of the end of Sloat Blvd I had a flyby male Long-tailed Duck fairly close in. Its distinctive facial pattern, brown wings and long tail were well-seen in the scope. It was heading north but I lost track of it. Also of interest was a solo White-Winged Scoter flying south. Many Surf Scoters and loons on the move today as well.
https://ebird.org/checklist/S97711126

David

Back to top
Date: 11/17/21 10:10 am
From: Bob Toleno <bob...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Second Red-naped Sapsucker in Botanical Garden
I agree with you, Nina: the plumage on your bird from last month on the Log
Cabin trail matches perfectly with the one we saw yesterday, so it has to
be the same individual. Good eye! I would be very curious to hear from the
more knowledgeable people who identified this bird as Red-breasted X
Red-naped hybrid. I'm definitely not an expert on this genus, and i'm happy
to learn more, but nothing that Aaron or i saw while we were in the field,
and nothing that i can see from either Nina's photos or ours obviously
identifies this bird as a hybrid. The red was entirely restricted to the
crown, throat patch, and nape. I assumed that a Red-breasted hybrid would
always show at least a few red feathers elsewhere on the face or breast. Is
that assumption incorrect? Are there other field marks that point toward
hybrid that i'm missing?

Thanks in advance,
Bob Toleno
Hayward

On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 7:25 PM Nina Bai <aninanina...> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I believe this is the same bird that was at the Log Cabin trail (where the
> Virginia’s Warbler was) last month. First seen on 10/19. I went back the
> next morning for additional photos and videos:
>
> https://ebird.org/checklist/S96491471
>
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/ypPrTF6tfQEraamW8
>
> The pattern on the back and secondaries seem to match up as well as the
> amount of red on the back of the head.
>
> I think there’s a good argument for this being a Red-naped, though others
> more knowledgeable than I have suggested hybrid with Red-breasted. Curious
> what others think!
>

> Nina
> --
> Nina Bai
> San Francisco

Back to top

Date: 11/16/21 4:32 pm
From: Bob Toleno <bob...>
Correction: the bird was on the border of the *Succulent* Garden and
Redwood Grove, not the "nectar garden" as i said.

On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 4:14 PM Bob Toleno via groups.io <bob=
<toleno.com...> wrote:

> Aaron Maizlish found a Red-naped Sapsucker in the Botanical Garden today
> at around 11:30am that appears to be a different individual than the male
> that Alan Hopkins found in the Fragrance Garden. This bird appears to be an
> adult female, though it lacks the white chin that most female RNSA show.
> (I'm not 100% sure of the sex, though, and would be happy to be corrected.)
> He spotted this bird in a tree with extensive sap wells on the border
> between the nectar garden and the redwood grove, approximately here:
> 37.767046, -122.472229
>
> Aaron's bird has a number of characters that are different than the
> Fragrance Garden bird, including a thinner white supercilium, a small
> vertical row of white spots to the left of the parallel rows of whitish
> bars on the back, and a narrower red throat patch. Our (poor) photos and
> write-ups can be found in our eBird reports:
>
> https://ebird.org/checklist/S97681324
> https://ebird.org/checklist/S97680536
>
> Good birding,
> Bob Toleno
> Hayward

Back to top

Date: 11/15/21 6:47 am
From: Rob Cullison <robcullison...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Red-naped Sapsucker SF Botanical Gardens
Redound in same area by Nancy Palmer.

Back to top
Date: 11/14/21 5:36 pm
From: Eddie Bartley <eddie...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Snow Goose Heron's Head
On a CNPS nature walk this afternoon a SNOW GOOSE was casually paddling around in Lashlighter Cove.

Happy Trails!

Eddie Bartley

Back to top
Date: 11/14/21 12:30 pm
From: Nico Stuurman <nico...>
Subject: [SFBirds] HY Canada Warbler continues in Botanical garden
Picked it up in bottlebrush frequented by Black Throated Blue Warbler a few weeks ago. Took off soon, found it again about 50 yards away, but flew off again. So, not easily chaseable, but still around.

Good birding!

Nico
--
Nico Stuurman

Back to top
Date: 11/14/21 10:22 am
From: Rudyard Wallen <arelist12...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Summer Tanager in Arbo
Brilliant red adult male at the reservoir back by the old greenhouses.
Where the Gray Catbird was Eating berries and fly catching.

Rudy W
SF

Back to top
Date: 11/14/21 10:12 am
From: Yvette MacDonald via groups.io <yvette_macdonald...>
Sapsucker continuing this morning. Refound by Nancy Palmer this morning.

Back to top
Date: 11/14/21 8:24 am
From: Rob Cullison <robcullison...>
Redound by Nancy Palmer at same location.

Back to top
Date: 11/13/21 1:47 pm
From: Alan Hopkins <alanhopkins...>
This morning between 11:45 and 12:15 there was a Red-naped Sapsucker in the Gardens at the base of the hillside southwest of the Fragrance Garden. Seen well, great photo ops but did not have my camera, photos taken by others.
Alan S. HopkinsSan Francisco, CALink to art website

Back to top
Date: 11/13/21 10:13 am
From: David Nelson <David...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Snow Goose
The Snow Goose is still at the SW corner of Crissy Lagoon, Presidio

Good Birding!

David W. Nelson

Back to top
Date: 11/13/21 7:46 am
From: David Assmann via groups.io <david_assmann...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Snow Goose Crissy
West end of lagoon

Back to top
Date: 11/12/21 1:25 am
From: richard s. cimino <rscimino...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] RTHA on the move over San Francisco
This afternoon Frist Thursday team, on GGRO Hawk Hill had two Rough-legged Hawks fly overs headed to San Francisco.

One is believed to have been a female, seen about 2PM.

The second was a male, seen at 3:00 PM.

Photos taken by day leader Don Bartling of San Anselmo.

Also of interest this GGRO first Thursday team recorded 206 Red-tail Hawks today, all flying over the Golden Gate into San Francisco.

This may be a record for a single day of migrating Red-tail Hawks recorded on GGRO Hawk Hill.

Rich Cimino

Larkspur

Date: 11/11/21 12:14 pm
From: David Assmann via groups.io <david_assmann...>
Subject: [SFBirds] San Francisco Christmas Bird Count - Need Area Leaders and a Boat
The 2021 San Francisco Christmas Bird Count (Tuesday December 28th) still needs a few experienced birders to act as Area Leaders and coordinate teams for the Count, and make sure the data is entered into eBird. Organizational skills, eBird skills and persistence are the main qualities needed (you don’t need to be one of the top birders in the County to do this). We are also looking for a boat to survey some of the Bay and/or Ocean areas to find waterbirds (this was part of the Count years ago). Please send an email to <sfcbcount...> ( sfcbcount at gmail.com.) ( sfcbcount@... ) and we will send more information. And, if you want to participate in the count, sign up at https://goldengateaudubon.app.neoncrm.com/np/clients/goldengateaudubon/eventRegistration.jsp?event=6956& David Assmann & Siobhan Ruck - SF CBC Compilers

Back to top
Date: 11/10/21 11:33 am
From: Brian Fitch <fogeggs...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Sutro Long-tailed Duck
Variety of species finally picked this morning at the Sutro Baths. The
highlight was what I'm guessing is a young male Long-tailed Duck, which
flew into the Gate just over the water from the southwest. It had the all
dark wings of the species, black and white dorsal striping of the male, but
little marking on the face, and no long tail. In an image search just now,
I found a photo of a large flock representing a number of plumage
variations, and there was a single bird that matched what I saw today.

Other species of interest included:
Greater Scaup - five small flocks
White-winged Scoter - a flock of 7 meandering north and then west
Bufflehead - a pair
Pacific Loon
Horned Grebe
Pomerine Jaeger
Bonaparte's Gull - 10+
8 other expectable gull species, including Thayer's and Ring-billed

Brian Fitch

Back to top
Date: 11/9/21 1:20 am
From: Dawn Lemoine <lemonbirder...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Join Us for 2021 Oakland Chrstmas Bird Count
Hello, Bay Area Birders:

Golden Gate Audubon Society invites you to take part in the 80th annual Oakland Christmas Bird Count, on Sunday, December 19— just under six weeks away. Please join us.

As a field observer, you'll get to see and hear the bird life in an area that fits your interests and abilities, add to our understanding of the status and distribution of our wintering birds, and have fun doing it. We welcome new birders to help locate the birds that are being identified by more experienced leaders. A rarity or two always turns up; learning about them right away will help you see them, too.

The Oakland count circle extends from Treasure Island northeast to the San Pablo Reservoir in Contra Costa County, and south to St. Mary’s College in Moraga and the Oakland International Airport. (That includes not just Oakland but the cities of Alameda, Emeryville, Berkeley, Albany, Orinda, Moraga, and Lafayette.) With its wide variety of habitats, the 2019 Oakland CBC boasted 184 bird species!

View the Count Map:

https://qgiscloud.com/cbc/caoa/

Maybe you'd rather just count birds in your yard on December 19. Feeder watchers can spend as much or as little time watching birds as they wish, and their observations also advance our knowledge of winter bird populations. If this interests you, sign up as a feeder watcher.

The sign-up deadline is December 3, so sign up today at https://goldengateaudubon.org/birding-resources/birding-information/christmas-bird-counts/.

Contact us at if you have questions about the count at <oaklandcbc...>

We hope you'll take part!

Oakland CBC Compilers,

Viviana Wolinsky

Dawn Lemoine

Back to top
Date: 11/8/21 2:20 pm
From: Brian Fitch <fogeggs...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Rough legged Hawk
The Rough-legged disappeared to the SW between Corona Heights and Buena.
It looked like a light morph female. A first for the house list after I
just returned home from a six hour hawk watch at the battery.
Brian Fitch

On Mon, Nov 8, 2021 at 2:11 PM Brian Fitch via groups.io <fogeggs=
<gmail.com...> wrote:

> Over Buena vista 2:11

Back to top
Date: 11/8/21 2:11 pm
From: Brian Fitch <fogeggs...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Rough legged Hawk
Over Buena vista 2:11

Back to top
Date: 11/4/21 1:59 pm
From: <office...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Sequoia Audubon Nov 11 Hybrid Meeting - Bay Area Ridge Trail Presentation
Are you familiar with the Bay Area Ridge Trail? Living in the Bay Area we have 400 Miles of nature nearby!
Thurs. Nov. 11 our monthly meeting presentation is about the Ridge Trail. Join us in person or online via Zoom!
Over 30 years after its inception, the Bay Area Ridge Trail is now close to 400 miles of dedicated trail, open to the public and ready to explore. Join in for a Ridge Trail discussion of the history and future of this regional, multi-use trail network, as they work with land managers around the Bay to close the remaining gaps and promote responsible recreation. We will get a broad overview of the trail system and hear about some favorite spots, especially in and around San Mateo County. Simone Nageon de LeStang, a staff Trail Planner will also share recent and current projects to connect the trail, in collaboration with regional partners like Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District and San Francisco Public Utilities Commission.
Photo: Wunderlich to Huddart Park Ridge Trail. One of our favorite trails! For more information: http://www.sequoia-audubon.org/ ( http://www.sequoia-audubon.org/?fbclid=IwAR1IIhBNWwj147MLsCD3AluhGpaF9iQ90jpnY6QaFrOAP7j6dMqwhmLnkOY )