SFBirds
Received From Subject
4/24/19 8:58 pm Richard Bradus via Groups.Io <grizzledjay=<yahoo.com...> [SFBirds] Pairing and such - and a Crossbill question
4/24/19 11:42 am Josiah Clark <josiah.clark621...> [SFBirds] Yellow- breasted char ft scott presidio
4/23/19 8:04 pm David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...> [SFBirds] Fort Mason Migrants
4/23/19 3:13 pm Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur...> [SFBirds] DUSKY Fl. and other migrants on Mount Davidson this morning 4/23/19
4/23/19 12:37 pm Brian Turner <brianturner6...> Re: [SFBirds] Ggp this morning
4/23/19 10:57 am H Cotter <chatwren...> Re: [SFBirds] Ggp this morning
4/23/19 10:33 am Josiah Clark <josiah.clark621...> [SFBirds] Ggp this morning
4/22/19 8:08 am Josiah Clark <josiah.clark621...> [SFBirds] Weekend highlights-brant, wt sparrow
4/21/19 5:24 pm David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...> [SFBirds] Fort Mason GGAS Field Trip
4/21/19 11:19 am Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur...> [SFBirds] Mid April sightings
4/21/19 7:57 am Loretta via Groups.Io <lchen89=<yahoo.com...> [SFBirds] Palm warbler @ Strawberry Hill
4/19/19 6:08 pm David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...> [SFBirds] Olive-sided Flycatcher, Black-Headed Grosbeak, Orioles at Fort Mason
4/19/19 8:20 am Ken Moy <ken.moy62...> [SFBirds] Spring @ Eastern GGP on Thursday, 4/18
4/18/19 9:50 pm H Cotter <chatwren...> Re: [SFBirds] Flight Day and SWHA
4/18/19 8:00 pm Oscar Moss <oscartmoss...> [SFBirds] Local Interest in southern SF
4/18/19 7:32 pm David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...> [SFBirds] Great migrant day at Fort Mason
4/18/19 7:27 pm Jonah Benningfield via Groups.Io <falco1440=<yahoo.com...> [SFBirds] Flight Day and SWHA
4/18/19 5:31 pm Joachim Gonzalez <gonzalexgaming21...> [SFBirds] Spring Migrants
4/16/19 2:49 pm Ken Moy <ken.moy62...> [SFBirds] Black & white warbler @ Middle Lake
4/16/19 12:10 pm Daniel Scali <daniel.s.scali...> [SFBirds] Possible return of the Lazuli @ McLaren Park
4/15/19 7:39 pm David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...> [SFBirds] Fort Mason Local Interest
4/14/19 11:10 pm Paul Saraceni <paulsaraceni...> [SFBirds] Seawatch -- Ancient Murrelet, 4/13/19
4/14/19 8:22 am Ken Moy <ken.moy62...> [SFBirds] Local Interest
4/12/19 4:09 pm rosita94598 via Groups.Io <rosita94598=<yahoo.com...> [SFBirds] Wandering Tattler continues
4/12/19 1:38 pm David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...> [SFBirds] Nashville Warbler and Blue Gray Gnatcatcher at Fort Mason
4/12/19 1:25 pm Brian Fitch <fogeggs...> [SFBirds] Local Interest
4/11/19 8:31 pm David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...> [SFBirds] Nesting Hummingbirds at Fort Mason
4/11/19 7:48 pm Brian Fitch <fogeggs...> [SFBirds] Sutro Sabine's Again & UFG
4/11/19 4:49 pm Peter Pyle <ppyle...> [SFBirds] [EBB-Sightings] Royal Tern Alameda
4/10/19 7:03 pm David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...> [SFBirds] Warblers at Fort Mason
4/9/19 8:15 pm Brian Fitch <fogeggs...> [SFBirds] Sutro: Sabine's Etc.
4/9/19 6:45 pm David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...> [SFBirds] Fort Mason and other local interest
4/8/19 1:04 pm Daniel Scali <daniel.s.scali...> [SFBirds] Sora @ Elk Glen in gg park
4/7/19 9:37 pm Josiah Clark <josiah.clark621...> [SFBirds] 94 species by bike w/Jonah Benningfield
4/7/19 5:23 pm David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...> [SFBirds] Fort Mason Local Interest
4/6/19 10:44 pm Oscar Moss <oscartmoss...> [SFBirds] NW SF sightings today
4/4/19 7:06 pm David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...> [SFBirds] Fort Mason Warbling Vireo, Orchard Oriole
4/4/19 11:13 am Brian Fitch <fogeggs...> [SFBirds] Buena Vista Migrants
4/3/19 8:42 pm Richard Bradus via Groups.Io <grizzledjay=<yahoo.com...> Re: [SFBirds] Sabines
4/3/19 3:51 pm Dave Weber <dwbirdster...> Re: [SFBirds] Sutro and Middle Lake Apr 4 (the future)
4/3/19 3:26 pm Dave Weber <dwbirdster...> [SFBirds] Sutro and Middle Lake Apr 4
4/3/19 1:20 pm Brian Fitch <fogeggs...> Re: [SFBirds] Sabines
4/3/19 9:01 am Brian Fitch <fogeggs...> [SFBirds] Sabines
4/2/19 10:47 am Peter Pyle <ppyle...> photos Re: [SFBirds] Sabine's Gull in Sutro Bath
4/2/19 8:30 am Peter Pyle <ppyle...> [SFBirds] Sabine’s Gull in Sutro Bath
4/1/19 5:53 pm Josiah Clark <josiah.clark621...> [SFBirds] Habitat Potential Shaping San Francisco field trip highlights yesterday
3/31/19 11:40 am David Nelson <David...> [SFBirds] Male Hooded Oriole
3/31/19 9:46 am David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...> [SFBirds] Early Western Tanager
3/30/19 7:03 pm David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...> [SFBirds] Odds and Ends last 3 days
3/29/19 1:16 pm Richard Bradus via Groups.Io <grizzledjay=<yahoo.com...> [SFBirds] Bald Eagle, Lake Merced
3/27/19 7:38 pm SteveLombardi <hotrock175...> [SFBirds] Golden Gate Audubon storms into April
3/27/19 3:13 pm David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...> [SFBirds] 2 Oriole Day at Fort Mason, Western Kingbird, Pacific Slope Flycatcher
3/27/19 12:43 am Ralph via Groups.Io <sharks_hockey_maniac=<yahoo.com...> Re: [SFBirds] Fort Mason RFI
3/26/19 7:38 pm Lee-Hong Chang via Groups.Io <lhchang825=<yahoo.com...> [SFBirds] Lake Merced concrete bridge area

Back to top
Date: 4/24/19 8:58 pm
From: Richard Bradus via Groups.Io <grizzledjay=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Pairing and such - and a Crossbill question
Hi all
Apparently I've chosen the wrong locations (or haven't gotten out early enough) so I have seen rather few migrants over the past couple of days. But making up for that has been numerous signs of mating and nesting among our locals. Today was instructive as there was some action at the National AIDS Memorial Grove in GGP. There were clear pairs of Juncos, Song Sparrows, Bushtits and Chickadees, and a pair of Ravens fussing with their nest. Also interesting was a pair of Downy Woodpeckers, with the male excavating a nest cavity, and one or both of a Steller's Jay pair bringing an assortment of nesting materials. Best of all was a CA Towhee that came right up to where I was standing motionless as it gathered nesting material (dried grasses) and added it to its nearly completed nest - only the second time I've actually seen a Towhee nest. Full list and some photos here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S55368140

Also, I'm puzzled by a bird I saw yesterday off the El Camino Del Mar trail below the West Wash/VA Hospital. It had all the typical plumage and markings of a female Red Crossbill (tan-yellow head, breast and upper tail coverts, kind of blotchy pattern on the mantle with more uniform dark wings, and prominent Finch bill. But... the bill did not appear to be crossed! Now, admittedly I saw it at some distance and mostly with its back turned toward me and when I saw the bill it was feeding (and therefore sometimes open) but still...
So, how often do you all see Crossbills without seeing their signature feature? I suppose, like most of you, I hear far more that I see, but it would be nice to be absolutely confident of the ID. So, can we say it's a Crossbill even if we don't actually see the crossed bill??
Any and all thoughts welcome.
Richard BradusSan Francisco

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 4/24/19 11:42 am
From: Josiah Clark <josiah.clark621...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Yellow- breasted char ft scott presidio
Headed out for a big hour this morning, quite remorseful for not being out on a big day by bike yesterday.
Few obvious migrants today but a Yellow-breasted chat was singing from the red flowering metrosideros trees below the flagpole at the south west corner of the field. I got a brief recording of it as it squared off with a male hooded oriole there.
Almost all the wintering water birds have left Crissy Field since Saturday. The only Bufflehead in the area is at Mountain Lake Park, a brown stained male. Hopefully it recovers but did not migrate with the rest.
I have not seen a golden crowned sparrow in about a week. The seasonal changing of the guard of our local avifauna is afoot.
-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 4/23/19 8:04 pm
From: David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Fort Mason Migrants
Good morning at Fort Mason as well.  LARK SPARROW, CHIPPING SPARROW, LAZULI BUNTINGS, BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK, and HOODED ORIOLES.

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 4/23/19 3:13 pm
From: Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur...>
Subject: [SFBirds] DUSKY Fl. and other migrants on Mount Davidson this morning 4/23/19
With mostly clear skies and a light offshore (east/southeast) breeze this morning it was a good time to visit your local hilltop patch.

Most interesting to me of the migrants noted passing through was a cooperative and calling DUSKY Flycatcher.

Photos and full list:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S55313563

Dominik Mosur
San Francisco

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 4/23/19 12:37 pm
From: Brian Turner <brianturner6...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Ggp this morning
Notable birds to add from this a.m. at Elk Glen Lake were Palm Warbler and
singing Nashville Warbler.

Good birding!

Brian Turner

On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 10:57 AM H Cotter <chatwren...> wrote:

> A little quieter than GGP at Battery Godfrey this morning - highlighted by
> a Lark Sparrow.
>
> Other migrants included:
>
> - Cliff Swallow
> - Bullocks Oriole
> - Hooded Orioles
> - Swainson's/ Hermit Thrush ( Likely Swainson's)
> - Lazuli Buntings
> - Western Tanager
> - Chipping Sparrow
> - BT Grays, Wilson's, Townsend's, Y-Rumps
> - Nuttall's Woodpecker
>
> Hugh
>

> On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 10:33 AM Josiah Clark <josiah.clark621...>
> wrote:
>
>> A remarkable morning for migrants in Golden Gate Park this morning.
>> Migrant Bh grosbeak, pac slope flycatcher, w tanagers, bt Gray Warbler,
>> hermit Warbler, oc Warbler, warbling vireo alongside lingering Townsend’s
>> and yr warblers. Met up there w Brian T and Rob C.
>> Also some band-tailed pigeons flying over, so keep looking up today.
>> Good birding
>> J-

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 4/23/19 10:57 am
From: H Cotter <chatwren...>

wrote:

> A remarkable morning for migrants in Golden Gate Park this morning.
> Migrant Bh grosbeak, pac slope flycatcher, w tanagers, bt Gray Warbler,
> hermit Warbler, oc Warbler, warbling vireo alongside lingering Townsend’s
> and yr warblers. Met up there w Brian T and Rob C.
> Also some band-tailed pigeons flying over, so keep looking up today.
> Good birding
> J-

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top

Date: 4/22/19 8:08 am
From: Josiah Clark <josiah.clark621...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Weekend highlights-brant, wt sparrow
On Saturday morning I did a seawatch with Sam Saffron where the highlight were 30 northbound Brant in the somewhat elusive strong nw spring wind condition.
Also many breeding plumaged Pacific loons, some very close and at least 30 Bonaparte’s gulls.
On Sunday morning I did a “big hour” by bicycle in the presidio with Jonah Beddingfield.
We had 74 species for the hour, including 5 swallow species, 5 Warbler species(btgw at mt lake), a lone Dunlin at Crissy Field and a white-throated sparrow at the head of dragonfly creek.
Time to bid best wishes to many of our wintering birds. Most have moved north and the rest will be heading that way soon.
Good birding!
-Josiah Clark, Consulting Ecologist

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 4/21/19 5:24 pm
From: David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Fort Mason GGAS Field Trip
Lots of warbler and oriole activity for today's GGAS field trip.  In addition to the continuing ORCHARD ORIOLE in the garden, there were three BULLOCK'S ORIOLES (1 in the garden and two behind the General's House), and at least 7 HOODED ORIOLES (3-4 behind General's House, 2-3 in Battery and one in the garden).  Warblers seen (mostly in the garden) including ORANGE-CROWNED, YELLOW, NASHVILLE, YELLOW-RUMPED, TOWNSEND'S and WILSON'S.  There are now at least eight active ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRD NESTS (two have chicks that barely fit that will fledge soon). The WANDERING TATTLER was on the shore of Aquatic Park, and a PIGEON GUILLEMOT and a COMMON MURRE swam close together near the Fort Mason Piers. The bonus was a young ELEPHANT SEAL on the beach at Aquatic Park.

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 4/21/19 11:19 am
From: Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Mid April sightings
4/21/19

Bank Swallows (5) back at Fort Funston and a non-adult male White-winged Scoter with Surfs off shore this morning. Small flocks of peep sp. (probably mostly Westerns but hard to tell as birds quickly disappeared behind swells) flying north.

4/19

Savannah Sparrows (with this local population a state sub-species of special concern) confirmed breeding at Candlestick State Recreation Area--Yosemite Slough Restoration Unit. An adult was seen bringing food to a nest in a French broom/bacharis/wire fence amalgamated cluster.

4/17

A surprise was hearing (and eventually visually confirming) a singing WRENTIT in the baccharis - broom scrub on plateau on the south side of Yosemite Slough. This bird was not detected again on later visits.

4/15
An adult Mute Swan was on the Impound Lake side of the Lake Merced concrete bridge in the evening. It was not there the next day. This is the first Mute Swan I've ever seen in San Francisco not derived from the released/maintained (non-countable) swans at the Palace of fine Arts. There is a thriving/expanding population in the North Bay (Marin/Sonoma/Solano et al)

Dominik Mosur
San Francisco
Sent from my iPhone

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 4/21/19 7:57 am
From: Loretta via Groups.Io <lchen89=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Palm warbler @ Strawberry Hill
Hey Folks,
It's been pretty quiet so far, but here was a brown-capped Palm Warbler chasing off a few Yellow-rumps in the trees at the top of the falls.
Good birding!
Lorētta

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 4/19/19 6:08 pm
From: David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Olive-sided Flycatcher, Black-Headed Grosbeak, Orioles at Fort Mason
With a return to westerly winds, migrant activity slowed to a trickle at Fort Mason this morning. The highlight was having three oriole species - ORCHARD, HOODED and BULLOCK'S - in the plum tree at the north end of the garden at one time. HOODED ORIOLES have returned - I counted a minimum of five - and probably seven. The other highlights were a singing BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK that fly by me at eye level behind the General's House and an OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER in the Eucalyptus trees northwest of the garden. Otherwise, the only other new migrants today were a number of GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROWS in full alternate plumage.

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 4/19/19 8:20 am
From: Ken Moy <ken.moy62...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Spring @ Eastern GGP on Thursday, 4/18
Started the morning at Stow Lake where the Great Blue Herons are engaged in the iconic Spring activity of nesting and raising young. Large flock of Cedar waxwings mostly replaced yellow rump warblers high in the eucalytptus. Of Spring migrants, I had a Warbling vireo at the west end of the reservoir on Strawberry Hill, a Cassin's vireo near the burnt log at the top of the hill and a Hermit warbler nearby. Was joined by Brian Turner and we spotted both the first hermit warbler and a second one. Spent the rest of the leisurely morning on the Log Cabin Trail where BT got me on a Wilson's warbler in the clearing south of the log cabin and Black throated gray warbler in the eucalyptus by the log cabin. I spotted an orange crowned warbler in shrubs. I continued to the oak woodlands in GGP. Spotted a female Black headed grosbeak just east of the look out where the road from Arguello  comes into the park. In the woodlands east of McLaren Lodge and up the newly installed wooded steps, I spotted a black throated gray warbler, many Townsends warbler, a Hermit warbler and a Nashville warbler,

Happy birding to all,

Ken Moy

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 4/18/19 9:50 pm
From: H Cotter <chatwren...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Flight Day and SWHA
Just to add that I also had a flyover Townend's Solitaire from Battery
Godfrey this morning - the pale wing stripe very obvious in flight.

Hugh

On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 7:27 PM Jonah Benningfield via Groups.Io <falco1440=
<yahoo.com...> wrote:

> SF birders,
> Fun morning at the Battery today; someone else might post a detailed
> report but highlights included (3) Great-tailed Grackles (Presidio bird for
> me!), Black-headed Grosbeak, Acorn Woodpecker, and good numbers of Lazuli
> Bunting, Western Kingbird, Collared Dove, Bullock's Oriole, and Band-tailed
> Pigeon. Live warbler migration was cool as well.
>
> I did go to class, and while walking back out the front doors I was
> treated to nice views of a light morph SWAINSON'S HAWK, which circled
> overhead a few times before flying off towards Crissy Field. Ten minutes
> later, I rolled down to Crissy and had what was likely the same SWHA
> bombing southeast over the lagoon, headed toward the financial district.
>
> all the best,
> Jonah B.

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 4/18/19 8:00 pm
From: Oscar Moss <oscartmoss...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Local Interest in southern SF
This morning I had a very productive morning on Mt Davidson. Many Cassin’s Vireos were hanging out and singing in shrubs and cypresses along the euc edge. 2 hammond’s Flys were hanging out together and one chased the other. By the south trailhead. Other migrants were around as well. 6 Black-headed Grosbeaks were in a bush together. A bright male Western Tanager was in a tree on the eastern slope, providing amazing views. Warblers were also present: Yellow-rumped, Nashville, Black-throated Gray, Townsends, and Hermit. 2 Bullock’s Orioles.

At the end of the day I went to bernal Hill looking for raptors. Lots around but no Swanson’s Hawks! Lol. Most exciting was this Hammond’s/Dusky Flycatcher on the north side of the hill. I think Hammond’s but would appreciate feedback. Link to photos here:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S55110788

Also a Western Kingbird.

Oscar
-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 4/18/19 7:32 pm
From: David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Great migrant day at Fort Mason
I knew the day would be exceptional when I flushed a WILSON'S SNIPE as soon as I entered the Community Garden (the last time a Snipe was seen at Fort Mason was in 2012). Migrants kept appearing throughout the three hours I spent at Fort Mason, including seven species of warblers - COMMON YELLOWTHROAT (garden), ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER (garden and Battery), NASHVILLE WARBLER (Battery), YELLOW WARBLER (Battery), BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLER (Battery), TOWNSEND'S WARBLER (garden), and YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER (everywhere). A BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK was in the garden, a WESTERN KINGBIRD landed in the Eucalyptus trees north of the garden, and a WARBLING VIREO was in the Battery. A very drab looking WESTERN TANAGER was in the hedge across from the garden, two SAVANNAH SPARROWS showed up on the western fence of the garden. A VAUX'S SWIFT flew over the garden. Meanwhile the ORCHARD ORIOLE continues to sing and rattle in the garden. A feeding frenzy was going on in the Bay, with over 1,000 gulls and Cormorants, and the side of Alcatraz is now covered with BRANT'S CORMORANTS (well over a 1,000).  The east winds are not expected to continue, so tomorrow will undoubtedly be quieter. The only other highlight to report from earlier this week was an ASH-THROATED FLYCATCHER at the top of a Cypress tree in the East Wash on Tuesday.

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top

Date: 4/18/19 5:31 pm
From: Joachim Gonzalez <gonzalexgaming21...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Spring Migrants
A quick trip in Fuschia Dell/McLaren Lodge yielded some good old spring
migrants. Nothing rare but 3 Wilson’s Warbler, my FOS Cassin’s Vireo, and
my FOS Western Tanager. None of the migrant empids coming in though.

Good Birding
Joachim Gonzalez

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 4/16/19 2:49 pm
From: Ken Moy <ken.moy62...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Black & white warbler @ Middle Lake
On a quiet day otherwise filled with nesting behavior, I had a good 2 minute look at a Black & white warbler in the tree tagged 3704 @ Middle Lake @ 11:10am. Very contrasty individual with throat and cheeks that appeared white but the underparts were also pretty cleanly white. Couldn't decide between first year male and mature female.

Good birding to all,

Ken Moy

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 4/16/19 12:10 pm
From: Daniel Scali <daniel.s.scali...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Possible return of the Lazuli @ McLaren Park
Hello all,

I got out there early this morning, mainly roving around the wooded and
weedy patches from the Jerry G amphitheater west to upper pond. A highlight
was a nice singing Pacific-slope Flycatcher. As I wandered, I heard a
couple of faint song bits that to me could have only come from 3 birds. The
Beert/Dzeet (from Nathan Pieplow’s naming work) I heard was, I think, a
Lazuli Bunting, House Wren, or Lesser Goldfinch. LEGOs are trickster so you
never know and between the other candidates, the LAZB has been a lot more
common at the park from mid-spring to summer than HOWR (counting the
irruption-like occurrence of the Lazulis last year starting around this
date). If this does mark the return of the Lazuli Buntings, I worry that
they may not stick around to breed in the park. The weedy fields that last
year they seemed to favor, made up primarily of wild radish, seem to be
more managed this year or suppressed by poison hemlock, possibly by natural
succession. (?) A lot of construction is happening this spring as well;
primarily path repaving. McLaren is a great park — I hope to see you out
there.

Good birdling,
Dan Scali SF

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 4/15/19 7:39 pm
From: David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Fort Mason Local Interest
There were a few unexpected birds at Fort Mason this morning, and a handful of migrants.  Two GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE were flying in front of Alcatraz, and two CACKLING GEESE flew over Fort Mason. A BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER was in the avocado tree in the garden, and a WHITE-THROATED SWIFT flew over. A bright adult male HOODED ORIOLE was making the rounds, and hopefully will stay. The ORCHARD ORIOLE marked its 145th day at Fort Mason by singing and chattering. A WILSON'S WARBLER was in the garden. Birds seen on the weekend, but not today, were the WANDERING TATTLER on the pier, a BULLOCK'S ORIOLE south of the garden, and a BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK in the garden.

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 4/14/19 11:10 pm
From: Paul Saraceni <paulsaraceni...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Seawatch -- Ancient Murrelet, 4/13/19
Yesterday (Saturday, 4/13) morning I conducted a short seawatch from the south-end of the Great Highway (7:45-9:15 AM), joined by Hugh Cotter towards the end.

Winds were variable, waves were high, and decent visibility at the beginning was reduced by the encroaching offshore marine layer by the time we finished.

The highlight was a single ANCIENT MURRELET flying S by itself.

There were still 2 BLACK SCOTERS (1 m. & 1 f.) out in the surf, and 40+ Surf Scoters flying and on the water.

There was a small flight of loons heading N in pulses, with 80+ Red-throateds (about 50/50 basic/alternate plumaged) and 30+ Pacifics (most in alternate plumage), and 2 Commons on the water.

Evidence of shorebird migration featured good numbers of Whimbrel, Willets (in breeding plumage), Marbled Godwits, and Sanderlings on the beach, and 3 Least Sandpipers flying N over the ocean.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S51178062

Late Saturday afternoon during a beach walk there was an OSPREY flying N over the surf near the Noriega entrance to Ocean Beach.

Paul Saraceni

San Francisco

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 4/14/19 8:22 am
From: Ken Moy <ken.moy62...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Local Interest
Sightings of moderate interest from earlier this week:

Friday, April 12 - orange crowned warbler and Wilson's warbler, female black-headed grosbeak (thanks Clifford Y) and a skulky unidentified warbler, all at Middle Lake in GGP around 11:15 - 12:30

Saturday, April 13 - green heron initially spotted around 9:15 in the reeds on the west shore of Mountain Lake between the two green light poles, it then flew towards the observation area (with log benches) and disappeared. The female black & white warbler made its annual (for me) appearance in the dog run area at Mountain Lake Park above the green gardener's tool box. Also had 2 pairs of blue birds and a Say's phoebe at Presidio Hills.

Good birding to all!

Ken Moy

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 4/12/19 4:09 pm
From: rosita94598 via Groups.Io <rosita94598=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Wandering Tattler continues
This morning I parked at the foot of the Municipal Pier--the bottom of Van Ness.  Looking over the edge toward Aquatic Park, the Wandering Tattler was picking at the rocks at low tide.  I did not stay long, as right next to where the bird was over the wall, a couple of men were smoking pot in a car and had loud boom-box type music playing.  It was not even 8:30, guess it is different for everyone.
Hugh B. HarveyWalnut Creek

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 4/12/19 1:38 pm
From: David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Nashville Warbler and Blue Gray Gnatcatcher at Fort Mason
Migrants continue to trickle through - this morning I had a BLUE GRAY GNATCATCHER on the east side of the garden, and a NASHVILLE WARBLER on the bush on the south west corner of the garden. GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW numbers continue to increase, with most in full alternate plumage.  No Fox Sparrows today. Crissy Lagoon had 14 SNOWY EGRETS.  The only unexpected bird at El Polin Spring was a late SAY'S PHOEBE, sitting on top of a telephone pole.

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 4/12/19 1:25 pm
From: Brian Fitch <fogeggs...>
Despite spending five hours at nine different sites around town this
morning, my only highlights were a Green Heron at S Lake Merced, a pair of
Red Crossbills along the canal west of the lake, and a female Western
Tanager at Kobbe & Upton in the Presidio. While it's a relief to not have
to give long descriptions of cryptic species as earlier this week, I wish
migration would kick into full gear.

Brian Fitch

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 4/11/19 8:31 pm
From: David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Nesting Hummingbirds at Fort Mason
There are now four active Hummingbird nests next to the stairs leading up from Aquatic Park.  Three are ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRD nests, and one is an ALLEN'S HUMMINGBIRD nest.  One nest (the Allen's) is still under construction.  One has a hummingbird sitting on eggs, and the other two have two chicks each. Also observed BUSHTITS working on a nest in the garden (the third Bushtit nest that I've observed at Fort Mason this month). I'm also hearing a call that I've associated in the past with newly fledged AMERICAN CROWS - not sure if it is early for one to have left the nest. Otherwise the ORCHARD ORIOLE was quite vocal as it moved around the garden, and two of us heard, but did not see, a VARIED THRUSH. GOLDEN CROWNED SPARROW and FOX SPARROWS, which were nearly absent yesterday, have shown up again (perhaps migrants from further south).

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 4/11/19 7:48 pm
From: Brian Fitch <fogeggs...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Sutro Sabine's Again & UFG
This morning's watch was between 6:45 and 8:15, with the following
highlights:
Brant - 2 northbound quite close in
Common Loon - 4 singles in alternate heading north
Red-necked Grebe - 1 flying into the Gate, and 1 fishing around Arch Rock
Whimbrel - 5 north
Long-billed Curlew - 1 north
Sabine's Gull - flying around well beyond the rocks around 7 AM
Common Murre - 80+

There was also a gull I could not identify. My first impression as I
noticed it flying north not far beyond the rocks was of a Black-legged
Kittiwake, with small size, buoyant flight, and a two-toned outer wing.
But upon getting it in the scope, the finer details were unlike anything I
know of. It had the "cute" look of a Mew Gull, with a dark eye on a small
white head, and a small yellow bill; neither head nor bill had any visible
markings. And yet the build of its body was compact for a Mew. The mantle
was relatively dark, like darker Mews or Californias, not quite as dark as
nearby wymani Westerns. The underwings were gray in the primaries and the
tips of the secondaries, but otherwise white. The upper wingtip was
outright bizarre, pure white in the outer primaries with the exception of
P9, which was roughly half black, and the inner primaries, probably P5-7,
had short black tips; none of the black had any mirrors. The effect was of
a short black bar well out on the trailing edge and a single black stripe
near the wing tip, both on a white field. The size, shape, underwing, and
head pattern looked most like a Red-legged Kittiwake (from photos and
renderings, as it's one of two N American gull species I have not seen),
but the dorsal wing tip was like a mashup of Franklin's and Bonaparte's.
Again, I have no clue as to what it was.

Brian Fitch

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 4/11/19 4:49 pm
From: Peter Pyle <ppyle...>
Subject: [SFBirds] [EBB-Sightings] Royal Tern Alameda
FYI SF

>Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2019 23:37:45 +0000 (UTC)
>From: "John Luther" <aplomado-falcon...>
>To: East Bay Birds <ebb-sightings...>,
> Countybirders Countybirders <countybirders...>,
> Countybirders <countybirders...>
>Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Royal Tern Alameda
>
>Hi All,
>While doing a bird survey at the Alameda
>Reserve, Alameda Point, Alameda I observed a
>single Royal Tern. It was calling while flying
>over and by me at about 9:30 AM today April 11.
> This area has no public access, but the bird
>could go north, south or west over or along the
>bay. It was flying NW towards SF when last
>seen. It had very white underwings with no
>large black area as seen on Caspian Terns also
>in the area. The bill was orange red not the
>deep red of the Caspian Terns and the bill was
>thinner (but not as thin and long as an Elegant
>Tern) than the Caspian Terns. The overall bird
>seemed less bulky "slimmer" than a Caspian.
>Also seen in the area by the breakwater was a
>single Brant and 8 Brown Pelicans. There are
>now over 200 Caspian Terns at their colony in
>the SF county portion of the Alameda Reserve. I
>looked for the Royal Tern in the colony area, but did not find it there.
>John LutherOakland

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 4/10/19 7:03 pm
From: David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Warblers at Fort Mason
Warblers were on the move last night - this morning I had my fos HERMIT and YELLOW WARBLER in the garden. There's also a very bright ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER that could be mistaken for a Yellow without close examination. There appeared to be more YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS than earlier in the week. Oriole identification is likely to be a little trickier the next few days - a young male HOODED ORIOLE was on the east side of the garden this morning, while the ORCHARD ORIOLE was on the west side. Fox Sparrows seem to have left, and I could find only two GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROWS. A bright male AMERICAN GOLDFINCH was also in the garden.

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 4/9/19 8:15 pm
From: Brian Fitch <fogeggs...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Sutro: Sabine's Etc.
I did a sea watch from 7-9 this morning at the Sutro Baths. Common Murre
numbers were very high, with a probable minimum of 20,000, most heading
north, but many on the water or swirling around in other directions. One
group of three Red-necked Phalaropes flew by northbound, and around 8:55,
a/the Sabine's Gull flew out of the Golden Gate and out to sea, trending
southwest. If it was the bird that Peter discovered last week, then it's
flight strength suggests a return to some health, though the strong winds
could have moved a different individual inshore. Two Humpbacks were much
earlier than I recall seeing them in SF, and they spent the first hour
feeding halfway to the horizon.

Around 8:30, a small shorebird flew by quite close, in full light, and just
above eye level. It was roughly Sanderling sized, with a weak wing stripe,
a perfectly straight black bill, no clear supercilium, a greyish-tan wash
over the head and upper breast, gray-brown mantle with no rufous or other
notable marks, and a dark central tail stripe like many Calidris have. It
appeared to be a basic plumaged Baird's. After spending some time with
multiple references, and ignoring the apparent size, the straight bill
rules out most of the similar Calidris, the tail pattern excludes others,
and the lack of a notable supercilium removes Semipalmated Sandpiper from
the running. I'm aware that such an occurrence would be quite rare in
spring on the West Coast, and while also being early, it doesn't seem to be
unprecedented.

Brian Fitch

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 4/9/19 6:45 pm
From: David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Fort Mason and other local interest
Yesterday morning the WANDERING TATTLER was walking along the edge of the shore in Aquatic Park, less than 10 feet away from me. The RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER was on the hillside above the path leading up from Aquatic Park.  The ORCHARD ORIOLE was singing non-stop again. A MERLIN was sitting on top of the headquarters building.  Today I found the ORCHARD ORIOLE again, but not the other species. Hundreds and hundreds of COMMON MURRES were flying just offshore at the Cliff House this morning. WILSON'S WARBLERS were on the Battery to Bluffs Trail. At Fort Scott, a CHIPPING SPARROW was near the ballfield.

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 4/8/19 1:04 pm
From: Daniel Scali <daniel.s.scali...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Sora @ Elk Glen in gg park
Hi,

Sora was giving nice looks on the water’s edge in a clump just to the right
of the pipes that feed the lake if facing the water — farthest east end.
Tons of Twinberry covering the pipes (with a hungry Ocwa) if that helps
with location. That is, until a gardener came 1 minute into my first SF
Sora and drove it deep into hiding. It’ll probably hightail it after the
crazy noise goes away but you never know. If you strike out consolations
could be fos Hermit warbler, and the usual warblers looking mighty dapper.
A female Rwbl might even nearly walk over your shoe if you stand still
enough.

Happy bird trails,
Dan Scali sf

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 4/7/19 9:37 pm
From: Josiah Clark <josiah.clark621...>
Subject: [SFBirds] 94 species by bike w/Jonah Benningfield
Over the course of about seven hours and 20 miles Jonah and I got a good eyefull and earful of spring birding by bicycle in southwestern SF.
We had 71 species in the first hour as we resurrected my old Presidio “big hour” routes. Jamming all around like in decades passed, it felt like nothing had changed...
Presidio highlights included:
-restored tidal action and exposed mud at Crissy! And -2 short-billed dowitchers there
Elsewhere 5 swallow species, 4 species woodpecker, 5+ Wilson’s Warblers, 4 hooded orioles, 1 singing OC Warbler, 4 Bewick’s Wrens, 7 getting late Ruby-cr Kinglets , 6+ pine siskins, purple finch, California Red-winged Blackbirds on territory at Mt. Lake, 16 BC nightherons was the high count there 2 days ago there
- courtship flights of Cooper’s and migrating Sharp-shinned hawks, lots of other raptor movement over the ridges
In GGP we Met up w Brian Turner and Oscar Moss
-stow lake- no sign of wintering goldeneye, shovelers, wigeon or mew gulls but 7 GB heron nests
-Lots of singing Townsend’s Warblers all around
- 1 Lincoln’s sparrow-Ggp windmill
-the GH owl with 3 chicks by the buffalo paddock!
-5 Red Cross bills battery caulfield rd presidio – Jonah only, 95 species for the day for him, he wins!
Looking forward to more epic rides with the next generation of SF birders. They are quite the clutch.

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 4/7/19 5:23 pm
From: David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...>
Had my fos VAUX’S SWIFT flying over the Community Garden this morning and my first CASSIN’S VIREO in the Battery. Yesterday there was a BLUE GRAY GNATCATCHER in the garden and had WILSON’S WARBLERS both days. The ORCHARD ORIOLE was singing in the garden this morning.

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 4/6/19 10:44 pm
From: Oscar Moss <oscartmoss...>
Subject: [SFBirds] NW SF sightings today
Today I birded around GGP and the Presidio.

Started by meeting Brian Turner at Elk Glen Lake, and we birded over to Mallard Lake. Not anything rare, but Brian noted that Red-winged Blackbirds are beginning to engage in territorial defense in the reeds. A few Fox Sparrows still around, haven’t seen nearly as many as a few weeks ago.

On the coastal bluffs in the presidio along the battery to bluffs trail, Wrentit, Spotted Towhee, Bewick’s Wren all singing on territory.

After that, headed up to Ft Scott, to find that 2 Cliff Swallows were present among other swallows. Probably returning birds found by Brian Fitch last year, coming back to nest again (?). Also lots of Band-tailed Pigeons around, and one Caspian Tern was flying toward Crissy.

At Crissy, nothing more than the usual suspects. 3 Caspian Terns, 2 male Greater Scaup, lots of Ruddy Duck, alternate Horned Grebe, one Belted Kingfisher.

Travelled to Stow Lake, where I joined up with Ruddy W. There was a worn 1cy Olympic Gull, but nothing else really crazy. So we headed to the Botanical Gardens. Here the highlight was nice looks at a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher in an oak right near the southern maintenance shed, next to California Native Garden.

A fun time
Oscar
-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 4/4/19 7:06 pm
From: David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Fort Mason Warbling Vireo, Orchard Oriole
The ORCHARD ORIOLE was singing virtually non-stop in the Community Garden at Fort Mason this morning. A WARBLING VIREO was on the east side of the garden. I'm now seeing a PIGEON GUILLEMOT regularly in Aquatic Park, as well as two COMMON LOONS in almost full alternate plumage.  The number of YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS has dropped dramatically, and the remaining ones are in alternate plumage, with many of them singing. For the second time this week a CASPIAN TERN flew over.

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 4/4/19 11:13 am
From: Brian Fitch <fogeggs...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Buena Vista Migrants
I finally encountered my first-of-spring mixed migrant flock at BV this
morning. In the north side oaks near the maintenance area, there were two
Warbling Vireos, two or three Cassin's Vireos, an Orange-crowned, a male
Black-throated Gray, and two Wilson's Warblers, along with Hutto's Vireos,
nuthatches, chickadees, bushtits, and Townsend's Warblers. On the eastern
slope, a silent Pacific-slope Flycatcher was flicking and hawking
intensively.

Brian Fitch

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 4/3/19 8:42 pm
From: Richard Bradus via Groups.Io <grizzledjay=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Sabines
Thanks Brian!
Good teamwork, indeed. I arrived a bit after noon to find Josiah Clark intently filming the Sabine's as it swam about the pond. We watched it for the better part of an hour, saw it get attacked quite savagely by a couple of immature Western Gulls but recover (though appearing fatigued or perhaps ailing) and resume its serene swimming.

Josiah's eBird checklist and some of my photos are here:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S54523351

Richard Bradus
San Francisco

On Wednesday, April 3, 2019, 1:20:44 PM PDT, Brian Fitch <fogeggs...> wrote:

I did a sea watch at the Sutro Baths this morning between 8 and 10:30.  I put in extra time because the atmospheric clarity was outstanding, and I really expected some notable migrants to fly by.  I also checked the bath pool several times over the first hour, with nothing unusual.

Jim Carmack showed up, and while we talked, Paul Linnemeyer arrived and surprised us with the news that the Sabine's Gull had returned.  We all ran over to the south wall and watched the bird for 40 minutes or so, as it mostly stood on the seawall near other gulls, looking unwell, but also preening at times, and flying briefly to avoid aggressive larger gulls.  At one point, it upchucked a small brownish pellet, a behavior that may have reflected it's ill health, or perhaps something pelagic gulls do at times?  Around 9:40, a fisherman and then some tourists scared the bird off around the Cliff House and out of sight.  Jim obtained some nice shots of the gull standing, stretching, and flying off.

The only definite migrants here were singletons of Osprey, Whimbrel, and Barn Swallow, all heading north over the sea.
I then checked western GG Park, and at Middle Lake found Bob Gunderson for the second time of the morning, and he was tracking what turned out to be a Nashville Warbler, possible the previously reported individual, or a new arrival.  Good teamwork today!
Brian Fitch

On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 9:01 AM Brian Fitch via Groups.Io <fogeggs=<gmail.com...> wrote:

On the wall at sutro. 9 am
Brian fitch

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 4/3/19 3:51 pm
From: Dave Weber <dwbirdster...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Sutro and Middle Lake Apr 4 (the future)
Yes, I saw them tomorrow, in the future. They will be there, just like they were today!

DW

Date: 4/3/19 1:20 pm
From: Brian Fitch <fogeggs...>

<gmail.com...> wrote:

> On the wall at sutro. 9 am
> Brian fitch

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 4/3/19 9:01 am
From: Brian Fitch <fogeggs...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Sabines
On the wall at sutro. 9 am
Brian fitch

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 4/2/19 10:47 am
From: Peter Pyle <ppyle...>
Subject: photos Re: [SFBirds] Sabine's Gull in Sutro Bath
<https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S54484812>https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S54484812

At 08:30 AM 4/2/2019, Peter Pyle via Groups.Io wrote:
>Adult. 08;30. Will post photos. P

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 4/2/19 8:30 am
From: Peter Pyle <ppyle...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Sabine’s Gull in Sutro Bath

Date: 4/1/19 5:53 pm
From: Josiah Clark <josiah.clark621...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Habitat Potential Shaping San Francisco field trip highlights yesterday
The Birding by Bike field trip put on by Shaping SF and Habitat Potential yesterday was a raging success.
28 participants, 16.5 miles, 1300 feet elevation, 81 species in 5.5 hours.

Nothing rare but a few highlights included:

Singing Wilson’s Warblers- Fuscia dell/oak woodlands, log cabin trail
also singing OC Warbler at the log cabin

Rhododendron Dell/Lilly pond -Hutton’s vireo, hairy woodpecker, cedar waxwings, hairy woodpecker, 18 fly by Band-tailed pigeons
Stowe lake-2 hooded mergansers, 1 continuing female Common Goldeneye, 3 singing Pacific Wrens.
Also a Great-blue heron nesting talk by Nancy DeStafanis who was diligently watching over the 7 nests along with a Red-tailed Hawk there.
Singing Townsend’s and Yellow-rumped Warblers, multiple locations
Bison Paddock- Bluebirds in the boxes I put up, Nuttall’s white-crowned sparrows in the scrub I planted years ago with Ggp gardeners and volunteers.
Extensive Scope views of the great horned owl nest across the street among the blossoms and masses of onlookers
Cliff house – just 1 Surfbird, 2 Black Turnstones. Also a pair of black oystercatchers, 4 Pigeon Guillemots
Lobos creek- Bewicks wren and the endangered SF Wallflowers in bloom
Crissy Field-2 greater scaup, 2 Red-breasted mergansers.
The Lagoon channel is filled in and non-tidal right now. It will soon become a massive eutriphied algal bloom if it remains that way. The lagoon water level was higher than I’ve ever seen it , meaning no shore line and not a single shorebird.
Watching one of the 70+ ravens of the day raid an Allen’s Hummingbird nest right in front of us while riding along Land’s End was a bit sad for everyone, but a very illustrative education for the group.
Brewers blackbird’s were a species that was quite sparse, perhaps just 10 noted all day.

A real highlight was being together as we traveled through multiple habitats while using zero gas on what was at times a very, very hot March day for SF.
In a city with so many weekend warriors flooding in to beat the heat, a field trip like this would be impossible these days anyways.
I realized being among beginning birders is my highest calling in birding.
Onwards, and never stop looking.

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 3/31/19 11:40 am
From: David Nelson <David...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Male Hooded Oriole
Hooded Oriole calling near to of eucalyptus, north of Upton Ave. at Upton Ave. sign. North of 1337 Pope St. Heard then seen by Kris Dunlap & David W. Nelson

David W. Nelson

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 3/31/19 9:46 am
From: David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Early Western Tanager
A short visit to Fort Mason this morning yielded a WESTERN TANAGER, on the hillside above Aquatic Park.

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 3/30/19 7:03 pm
From: David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Odds and Ends last 3 days
On Thursday I had my FOS WILSON'S WARBLER at Fort Mason. Yesterday there were two WILSON'S WARBLERS at Middle Lake.  Today I had my FOS BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLER in the Community Garden at Fort Mason. The WANDERING TATTLER was on the pier, a COMMON LOON was in full alternate plumage, and a PIGEON GUILLEMOT showed up. ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLERS are moving through - I had at least four in various spots at Fort Mason. The ORCHARD ORIOLE continues, although he remained hidden this morning, chattering from inside a Bottle Brush.

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 3/29/19 1:16 pm
From: Richard Bradus via Groups.Io <grizzledjay=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Bald Eagle, Lake Merced
Interesting morning!

I waited until the fog cleared before heading out to the concrete bridge area of Lake Merced, foolishly thinking that I would be able to see the Gallinule. In mid-day? No such luck. But it turned out OK, actually great.

While checking out and listening to the marsh wrens in the reeds near the east side a bit after 11am I looked up and saw a very large, long-winged bird circling off to the east. When I saw the full white tail my pulse rate jumped and, yup, there was the white head. Unbelievable! I managed to get a few long-range photos as it circled, rather rapidly for this species, harassed first by what looked like a Western Gull (!) and then some crows. It actually flapped its wings a few times to get some distance from them before making its way south - it probably flew right over SF State and then the SF Golf Club, seemingly headed for Serramonte (or Crystal Springs?).

I'll try to upload some photos when I submit an eBird list later. And there were a couple of other surprising sightings (for which I was unable to get photos), including a House Wren that popped up right near me and a female Red-breasted Merganser on a fly-by!

It really does help to keep looking up!

Richard Bradus
San Francisco

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 3/27/19 7:38 pm
From: SteveLombardi <hotrock175...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Golden Gate Audubon storms into April
Hi All,

Well, hopefully the storms are all over, but Golden Gate Audubon’s Birdathon fund-raiser hits its stride in April with many great trips and events.
For you SF birders, some of our SF leaders will be leading some excellent trips:

-
- Dominik Mosur will lead a “behind the gates” walk at the South Bay salt ponds reclamation project (4/20).

-      - Dan and Joan Murphy will lead two different trips; one around the city and one on the Peninsula (4/6, 4/13).
- Alan Hopkins will lead a 6 hour walking and birding tour of the Presidio (4/13).

 Click on the link to see all the great Birdathon trips and events:

https://goldengateaudubon.org/birdathon2019/

Happy spring and good birding,
Steve Lombardi
GGAS field trip coordinator

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 3/27/19 3:13 pm
From: David Assmann via Groups.Io <david_assmann=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [SFBirds] 2 Oriole Day at Fort Mason, Western Kingbird, Pacific Slope Flycatcher
I paid my first visit in over a week to Fort Mason this morning, and had a few good migrants. A nice adult male BULLOCK'S ORIOLE was in a Eucalyptus tree north of the garden, and a WESTERN KINGBIRD  and a PACIFIC-SLOPE FLYCATCHER were in the Battery. The ORCHARD ORIOLE was rattling and singing in the garden. The FOX SPARROWS are starting to sing as well. The LINCOLN'S SPARROW was in the garden and two WESTERN BLUEBIRDS were near the Franklin entrance to Fort Mason. The female ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRD continues to sit on a nest just off the path leading down to Aquatic Park. A CASPIAN TERN flew over Aquatic Park.

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 3/27/19 12:43 am
From: Ralph via Groups.Io <sharks_hockey_maniac=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Fort Mason RFI
Thanks to those who responded. I was able to find a 4-hour spot right next to the garden, and after half-an-hour of searching I finally found the continuing ORCHARD ORIOLE in a rose bush at the center of the garden. I only had a couple of brief looks at him before he flew off and hid in a tree at the top of the stairs behind the maintenance shed, though. (I did manage one picture from below but it only shows his belly and part of a wing!) I also tried twice today, once in the morning and once in the evening (had an appointment at UCSF Medical Center at 1:00), for the Summer Tanager at Glen Canyon Park but both of those attempts were unsuccessful. I did find a new favorite banding code, though, OROR.

Ralph Baker, Riverbank

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 3/26/19 7:38 pm
From: Lee-Hong Chang via Groups.Io <lhchang825=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Lake Merced concrete bridge area
Saw a female plumaged Red-Breasted Merganser at NW corner of concrete bridge at Lake Merced around 5 pm today (March 26). Meanwhile, Common Gallinule made a brief appearance at previously reported spot - near a bare willow at NE corner of the bridge - too.

Good birding,
Lee Chang
SF

-=-=-