peninsula-birding
Received From Subject
7/15/24 12:12 pm Aidan Sinha via groups.io <aidansinha...> [pen-bird] Scissor-tailed Flycatcher report on eBird
7/11/24 4:59 pm lavin_fara via groups.io <pdunten...> [pen-bird] Palo Alto Summer Bird Count Recap
7/10/24 3:00 pm Christopher Hayward via groups.io <p_t_nymph...> [pen-bird] Rose-breasted Grosbeak, San Bruno Mountain Park, 7/10/2024
7/10/24 1:18 pm Sequoia Audubon Society via groups.io <office...> [pen-bird] Sequoia Audubon July 11 Monthly Meeting - Avians in Aviation
7/8/24 2:16 pm Ross Millikan via groups.io <rmillika...> [pen-bird] Northern Mockingbird in Foster City
7/8/24 11:44 am Ronald- Thorn via groups.io <Tronthorn...> [pen-bird] Miscellaneous sightings
7/5/24 9:32 pm Dan Harris via groups.io <dh1236...> [pen-bird] Dead bird in my San Mateo birdfeeder
7/5/24 10:35 am maliadances via groups.io <maliadances...> [pen-bird] San Mateo County Cumulative Year-list Report for --- June 2024
7/5/24 10:32 am maliadances via groups.io <maliadances...> [pen-bird] Cumulative Year-list Report for --- June 2024
7/5/24 10:29 am maliadances via groups.io <maliadances...> [pen-bird] Cumulative Year-list Report for --- June 2024
7/4/24 1:28 pm Leonie Batkin via groups.io <leonie.batkin23...> [pen-bird] White-faced Ibis in Redwood Shores
6/30/24 9:20 am Kent Forward via groups.io <kforward...> Re: [pen-bird] Bunting Song Help Wanted
6/29/24 7:38 pm Kent Forward via groups.io <kforward...> [pen-bird] Bunting Song Help Wanted
6/29/24 1:33 pm Sequoia Audubon Society via groups.io <office...> [pen-bird] SAS July field trips
6/28/24 5:12 pm Dana Bangs via groups.io <danabangs...> [pen-bird] Rose-breasted Grosbeak at Gazos Creek
6/26/24 9:20 am Peter Metropulos via groups.io <pjmetrop...> [pen-bird] Dead Whale and Odd Gulls
6/22/24 9:19 pm Marty Freeland via groups.io <martinf3...> [pen-bird] American Redstart and recent misc.

Back to top
Date: 7/15/24 12:12 pm
From: Aidan Sinha via groups.io <aidansinha...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Scissor-tailed Flycatcher report on eBird
Hi all,
Just the messenger here. A Scissor-tailed Flycatcher was reported earlier today from Airport Street in Moss Beach on eBird. The pictures have not been uploaded yet but the description sounds good for Scissor-tailed. See list here: https://ebird.org/checklist/S187155001

Good luck to anyone searching!

Aidan Sinha
San Jose

Back to top
Date: 7/11/24 4:59 pm
From: lavin_fara via groups.io <pdunten...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Palo Alto Summer Bird Count Recap
Saturday, June 1 brought perfect weather for the count, with no rain, no extensive areas covered in fog, and mild temperatures.  The day concluded with a delicious Blue Line pizza dinner in downtown Mountain View for the countdown.  Many thanks to the Odd Fellows for allowing us to meet at their lodge in the evening.  The countdown capped the day with a wonderful sense of community joined together for a common purpose.

I never know how many volunteers will set aside part or all of their day for the count.  Surprisingly, despite some initial worries, the number of participants was up slightly this year compared to last.  Thanks are due to Ann Hepenstal, Howard Friedman, Mike Rogers, Al Eisner, Malia DeFelice, Chris MacIntosh & Curt Bianchi for recruiting and organizing counters in the eight sectors of the count circle.

The preliminary total for the 2024 edition of the summer count is 154 species.  ("Preliminary" because not all the forms have come in yet.)  Rarities found on the count included Indigo Bunting high in the Santa Cruz mountains, Common Loon at the Redwood City Marina and on a pond within the Don Edwards NWR, and Horned Lark at Moffett Field.

If there were awards to the parties achieving the highest counts of each species found on the count, some of the winners would have been . . .

Gena & Jeff Zolotar for 52 Anna's Hummingbirds (that's a lot of hummingbirds!)
Steve Rottenborn for 3577 California Gulls (not a competition all of us would want to enter!)
Mike Rogers for 70 Bushtits (which seems like a lot but comes in at about 13 ounces worth!)
Caitlin Chock & Summer Lee for 37 Lazuli Buntings (I admit I'm jealous of this one!)

If any of the above sounds at all intriguing, join us in 2025 on June 7 for the 44th Palo Alto Summer Bird Count.  Summaries of past count results and a graphical interface (courtesy of Vayun Tiwari and Arjun Dixit ) are on the SC VAS website at https://scvas.org/summer-bird-count

Pete Dunten / Compiler

Back to top
Date: 7/10/24 3:00 pm
From: Christopher Hayward via groups.io <p_t_nymph...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Rose-breasted Grosbeak, San Bruno Mountain Park, 7/10/2024
Hi All,
This morning I spent some time birding at San Bruno Mountain Park. I came across a singing Male Rose-breasted Grosbeak up on the Youth Camp trail. The bird was first heard then seen in the willows at GPS 37.70135, -122.43428.
Interestingly there were two other reports of Rose-breasted Grosbeaks at the Park in June. One found by Alane Gray along the lower bog trail the other by Adam Dudley along the summit trail. Both those birds were well documented with photos and audio. Comparing my photos with those birds this is certainly a different individual, so interesting to note there has been three different birds seen there in the last month or so.
Photos and Audio are on my ebird checklist, link below.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S186362235

Chris Hayward
Half Moon Bay

Back to top
Date: 7/10/24 1:18 pm
From: Sequoia Audubon Society via groups.io <office...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Sequoia Audubon July 11 Monthly Meeting - Avians in Aviation
Sequoia is continuing its meetings and field trips this year in July and August. We're excited about the program this Thursday evening on Zoom and hope you'll join us.

Natalie Reeder is a Wildlife Biologist at the East Bay Regional Park District. Throughout her career, Natalie has worked with a variety of organisms, from Channel Island foxes to Lyme disease and sudden oak death, endangered reptiles and amphibians, and, of course, birds. Natalie became the first biologist at SFO in 2015. She served in that role for seven and a half years, building a natural resources program and science-based approach to wildlife hazard management in the airport environment. Especially interesting was a project to trap and relocate barn owls and red-tailed hawks, both species frequently hit by planes. Natalie will discuss wildlife issues at airports and share details of her time managing bird hazards at our busiest Bay Area airport. Register: https://bit.ly/45EZ7U9

Back to top
Date: 7/8/24 2:16 pm
From: Ross Millikan via groups.io <rmillika...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Northern Mockingbird in Foster City
My wife and I were on a bike ride this morning.  As we passed by the Mariner's Island golf center we heard a Northern Mockingbird.  I haven't heard or seen them this far North.  We were on the bay trail at 37.57313, -122.285117.

Back to top
Date: 7/8/24 11:44 am
From: Ronald- Thorn via groups.io <Tronthorn...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Miscellaneous sightings
Here are some miscellaneous sightings Leonie and I had during the past week. The over-summering maleCanvasback on Belmont Slough across from Preserve Park and the female Northern Pintail at the Nob HillPond were noted again. A post breeding dispersant Cinnamon Teal was at the Nob Hill Pond on the 2nd.American White Pelicans arrived with ( 35 ) at the Don Edwards NWR - -  Ravenswood Salt Pond SF2and ( 1 ) at the Nob Hill Pond. ( 8 ) Brown Pelicans had come into the pond and was a high number atthe location. Among the ( 8 ) Brown Pelicans, we were glad to note ( 2 ) juveniles after reading of a largenumber of failed breeders in Mexico. Shorebirds have been slow coming in after I reported the arrivalof Willets and Short-billed Dowitchers. There have been more Long-billed Curlews that have arrived. An adult Western Sandpiper and an adult Least Sandpiper were at the Preserve Park on the 1st. Leonie had an adult Long-billed Dowitcher at the Nob Hill Pond on the 6th and ( 91 ) adult GreaterYellowlegs. A returning adult Ring-billed Gull at the pond on the 1st. Juvenile California Gulls start todisperse from colonies on the bay in early July. A juvenile was at the pond on the 4th. The RavenswoodSalt Pond, Elegant Terns have returned for another breeding season. I noted ( 106 ) on the island nearthe Caspian Tern colony. There may have been more Elegant Terns on the other side of the island outof view. Passerine post breeding dispersants in Redwood Shores have been Downy Woodpecker andOrange-crowned Warbler where there is no confirmation of breeding. It has been a very good breeding season for Rough-winged Swallow. A number passing through locations along the bay have had wellabove the expected number of fledglings.
Ron ThornLeonie Batkin

Back to top
Date: 7/5/24 9:32 pm
From: Dan Harris via groups.io <dh1236...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Dead bird in my San Mateo birdfeeder
Today at about 5:40 PM, I found a dead bird in my birdfeeder. Not sure of
the species. Photos below.
Obviously, I don’t know the cause or how long it was there—I was at the
feeder yesterday, so less than 24 hours.
The temperature was in the low 80’s, and there was no wind.
I immediately took the feeder down and removed it from the area.
Two questions.
What should I do with the bird? Does any official want to examine the bird,
or should I bury it?
And how should I clean/disinfect the birdfeeder? Clean the entire feeder or
just the tray where the bird was found? And what should I use?
A sad event, but thanks for your input.
—Dan Harris
San Mateo

Back to top
Date: 7/5/24 10:35 am
From: maliadances via groups.io <maliadances...>
Subject: [pen-bird] San Mateo County Cumulative Year-list Report for --- June 2024
**

*Greetings All,

*

*San Mateo County birders found 4 species* that were new for the year by the end of June. This brings the total species observed by the end of the sixth month to 274.

In reading the following, please note, the number in parenthesis next to the bird name is the rarity code assigned for San Mateo County birds. The definitions for the rarity codes can be found below the current month's list. The rarity code system was set up in 2009 By the late Kris Olson based on Peter Metropulos' codes on the San Mateo County Checklist which was published by Sequoia Audubon Society in 2006. *From the link below* , you can *download a checklist* which shows seasonality, frequency, and county breeding information. A full list of the birds observed so far in 2024, plus all monthly reports going back to 2009 can be found here: http://www.sequoia-audubon.org/SMCbirds.php ( http://www.sequoia-audubon.org/SMCbirds.php ) **

*Here are the new birds for June, their finders and locations where found:*

While visiting Coyote Point County Park Ron Thorn noted a BLACK SWIFT (4) passing by over the point. A flyover LAWRENCE’S GOLDFINCH (4) was observed along Gazos Creek Rd. by Alex Rinkert who noted the bird was making the typical vocalizations that the species make. Marty Freeland encountered a male AMERICAN REDSTART (4) that was singing along Pomponio Creek Rd. The redstart was photographed and audio recordings were obtained by Marty and others. During the Palo Alto Summer Bird Count, Karen Moody and Troy Pittock photographed a male INDIGO BUNTING (4) while conducting their survey at Williams Sisters Ranch.

*Birding San Mateo County:* There are plenty of ways to see birds both on land and at sea. Did you know *Sequoia Audubon Society leads birding Field Trips* on a regular basis? To join a field trip, check out their schedule here: http://www.sequoia-audubon.org/fieldtrips.html Also *Alvaro’s Adventures runs offshore pelagic trips* starting in June, with many seabird, whale and sea-life finding trips out of Half Moon Bay and other ports. Alvaro’s pelagic schedule here: https://www.alvarosadventures.com/pelagic-dates-2024.html

*To stay informed of the latest bird news, consider creating an account with both Peninsula Birding (Pen-bird) and eBird*. Please join and post your bird sightings to <peninsula-birding...> ( <peninsula-birding...> ) and/or www.eBird.org ( https://www.eBird.org ). When posting to Pen-bird, please include the date of your sighting in either the subject line or in the body of your email. When submitting records to eBird, if prompted for details for a rare or unusual bird, please add details which describe the bird using a physical description and field marks that helped you confirm the ID. Thank You eBird users for adding your descriptions and uploading your photos and audio to your checklists.
*To join eBird,* simply go to https://ebird.org/home ( https://ebird.org/home ) and create an account. *To join the Peninsula Birding group,* join here: https://groups.io/g/peninsula-birding ( https://groups.io/g/peninsula-birding ) You can post your sightings there and be kept informed of sightings throughout the county including discussions about birds, population trends, where-can-I-find topics, events, field trips, webinars, pelagic trips and conservation issues. You can engage with other members of the birding community and can connect with online/offline discussions.
*About* *This Report:* As a volunteer for Sequoia Audubon Society, every month, I gather content for this report mainly by using eBird and Pen-bird. When posting to Pen-bird, please include the location and date of your sighting in either the subject line or in the body of your email. If you don't use eBird or Pen-bird, you can always email me directly. Thank you!
If you have questions or comments regarding this report, please email: <maliadances...> ( <maliadances...> )

*Malia DeFelice*
Sequoia Audubon Society Volunteer
**Cumulative Year Report**

Back to top
Date: 7/5/24 10:32 am
From: maliadances via groups.io <maliadances...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Cumulative Year-list Report for --- June 2024
[Edited Message Follows]
[Reason: Subject should read: San Mateo County Cumulative Yearlist Repor for - - June 2024]

**

*Greetings All,

*

Date: 7/4/24 1:28 pm
From: Leonie Batkin via groups.io <leonie.batkin23...>
Subject: [pen-bird] White-faced Ibis in Redwood Shores
We received a call from Pat Boor that there was an Ibis in the water along Seabrook Court in Redwood Shores. We went out and saw a Juvenile White-faced Ibis in the water near the last visitor parking space at the north end. We observed the bird for about 10 minutes. At the beginning of the observation it was close to a group of Great and Snowy Egrets and a Great Blue Heron. As we were driving away it flew south along the water and we lost sight of it.

Ron Thorn
Leonie Batkin

Back to top
Date: 6/30/24 9:20 am
From: Kent Forward via groups.io <kforward...>
Subject: Re: [pen-bird] Bunting Song Help Wanted
Just a quick follow up to thank all the responders. Not enough to go on with just the recording to ID to species so it’ll stay unidentified. Too bad I couldn’t get a look but that’s the way it goes sometimes. Thanks all!
Kent

On Saturday, June 29, 2024, 7:38 PM, Kent Forward via groups.io <kforward...> wrote:

Hi All,
I had an enjoyable stroll along the top 1/2 of Old La Honda Road this afternoon, there were many singing birds along the route despite the growing heat and late afternoon time. There were quite a few singing Lazuli Bunting along the steep open rocky/grassy hillsides once I emerged from the forest on the walk down.  One sounded a bit different, a little cleaner (less metallic), only a few simple paired notes, it had me wondering if  it could be an Indigo Bunting?  For now I have listed it under Lazuli/Indigo Bunting in my ebird checklist. I waited quite some time to try and view it, but frustratingly was unable to find it for a look! I've learned not to trust Merlin much, though it said Indigo Bunting (and was detecting mostly Lazuli at other points along the route). I spent some time tonight listening to Lazuli and Indigo songs, and still not sure if there's enough here to pinpoint the recording to either species?  Hoping some of our crack local ear birders might be able to weigh in with their thoughts?  The time of year and habitat seems good when researching eBird for past reports of Indigo Bunting in San Mateo County, rare of course, but when reported many were in June.
https://ebird.org/checklist/S184448277

Thanks in advance!Kent ForwardEl Granada

Back to top

Date: 6/29/24 1:33 pm
From: Sequoia Audubon Society via groups.io <office...>
Subject: [pen-bird] SAS July field trips
The Q3 newsletter should arrive in members' mailboxes shortly, but we want to inform you that July field trip registrations are open on Eventbrite. Two wonderful outings are scheduled for Monday, July 1, and another at Filoli on Tuesday, July 2. http://www.sequoia-audubon.org/ We also have an excellent presentation lined up for Thursday, July 11. Please read about the program on the website and register to join us on Zoom.

Happy Birding

Back to top
Date: 6/28/24 5:12 pm
From: Dana Bangs via groups.io <danabangs...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Rose-breasted Grosbeak at Gazos Creek
I had a brief but satisfying look at a RBGR on Gazos Creek road, east of
Cloverdale this morning around 8:00. eBird listing -
https://ebird.org/checklist/S184234973 .
Dana Bangs
Palo Alto

Back to top
Date: 6/26/24 9:20 am
From: Peter Metropulos via groups.io <pjmetrop...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Dead Whale and Odd Gulls
There has been a rotting whale carcass at Gazos Creek Beach for the past couple weeks and this has attracted a large concentration of hungry gulls.Among them was a second-year HERRING GUL and first-year BONAPARTE'S GULL on June 11, and a first-year ICELAND(Thayer's)GULL on June 25.There are other mixed-up gulls that defy identification. If you want to test your skill at gull i.d. this is a good location to do so.

Peter J.Metropulos

Back to top
Date: 6/22/24 9:19 pm
From: Marty Freeland via groups.io <martinf3...>
Subject: [pen-bird] American Redstart and recent misc.
Hi all,

Today on Pomponio Creek Road there was a singing American Redstart at about (37.30397, -122.34951). It was a flaming adult (ASY) male, which is much rarer in the county than female-types, or "yellowstarts." (Male American Redstarts retain primarily female-like plumage through their whole first year, albeit with increasing blackish flecking.) This was the first adult male I have had in San Mateo.

Also today, a singing Grasshopper Sparrow on Verde Rd. was slightly notable on the coast. A pair of Hooded Orioles in downtown Pescadero was of course at this date suggestive of breeding, and I think breeding has been suspected along Water Lane in past years, although confirmation from the southern San Mateo coast is lacking. And a youngish juvenile House Wren was along Purisima Creek Rd. not far from three singing adults. House Wren is not at all a common breeder on the coastal slope. This site and some burn zones that just spill across the county line near Big Basin SP are perhaps the only sites west of Skyline in the county where this species is known to be breeding. Incidentally, those burn zones<https://ebird.org/checklist/S179580018> are open to the public and deserve more coveragesurely there are Black-chinned Sparrows up there somewhere...

On Wednesday (6/20) I spent a while scoping the bay from Sierra Point after Keith Maley's report of Least Terns close inshore in south San Francisco. I was not able to pull out any Least Terns in San Mateo. (Actually I probably did have some but they were quite distant, it's hard to judge where on the water the county line is, etc., and I would rather not count them.) But there were at least 40 Elegant Terns foraging fairly close in over the bay, which felt pretty high, even in light of recent counts from the colony at Ravenswood. Gerry McChesney had 345 on 6/8, which I believe is a new high. I estimated 280 during a brief visit on the morning of 6/18.

Finally, a while ago now, I was surprised to see a Hooded Merganser at the mouth of Gazos Creek on 6/9. This is an exceptional record for June (rarer than the redstart, actually!). In eBird there is only one other June report for the county (involving 2 individuals on 6/26/22 in Foster City; L. Flint). I am aware of at least two others from Ron Thorn: a male that summered in three consecutive years, first reported as a first-year bird on 6/03/04, also in Foster City, and an adult male at Pescadero Marsh 6/30/017/21/01. Gary Deghi also reported one at Ocean Colony on 6/9/136/21/13. So all told this is just the sixth county record of a bird that is apparently attempting to summer?

Good birding,
Marty Freeland