NWCALBIRD
Received From Subject
10/21/19 12:45 pm Melody H. <bearsamongus...> Re: [NWCALBIRD] Lark Bunting, Trinidad, Humboldt Co.
10/12/19 8:11 am <judeclairepower...> [NWCALBIRD] Dark Red-tails
10/7/19 2:03 pm L F via Groups.Io <thelizziefox=<yahoo.com...> [NWCALBIRD] Broad-winged Hawk over Arcata Marsh
10/5/19 10:19 pm Tony Kurz <tonyk_71220...> [NWCALBIRD] Mountain Magic today in Humboldt 10/5/19
10/3/19 8:29 am Tim Bray <tbray...> [NWCALBIRD] Mendocino half-day Pelagic
9/28/19 9:31 am Michael H. Morris via Groups.Io <lilmorris2000=<yahoo.com...> Re: [NWCALBIRD] RRAS BirdBox/Rare Bird Alert is no Longer
9/28/19 9:30 am gary <gary...> Re: Fw: [NWCALBIRD] RRAS BirdBox/Rare Bird Alert is no Longer
9/28/19 9:14 am Tom Leskiw <tomleskiw...> Fw: [NWCALBIRD] RRAS BirdBox/Rare Bird Alert is no Longer
9/27/19 2:02 pm Gail Kenny <gailgkenny...> [NWCALBIRD] RRAS BirdBox/Rare Bird Alert is no Longer
9/26/19 2:58 pm L F via Groups.Io <thelizziefox=<yahoo.com...> [NWCALBIRD] Vesper Sparrow, Trinidad, Humboldt County
9/26/19 9:15 am Tom Leskiw <tomleskiw...> Re: [NWCALBIRD] HumCo 9/25/19 Clay-Colored Sparrow
9/25/19 6:43 pm Tom Leskiw <tomleskiw...> [NWCALBIRD] HumCo Clay-colored Sparrow 9/25/19
9/23/19 3:35 pm L F via Groups.Io <thelizziefox=<yahoo.com...> [NWCALBIRD] Lewis’s Woodpecker, Kneeland, Humboldt County
9/23/19 10:08 am Elias Elias <call7076338833...> [NWCALBIRD] Hybrid zone for Selaphorus

Back to top
Date: 10/21/19 12:45 pm
From: Melody H. <bearsamongus...>
Subject: Re: [NWCALBIRD] Lark Bunting, Trinidad, Humboldt Co.
A winter Lark Bunting - (m) ad or imm, continues from 10]18 at the Pier/Seascape Parking lot as of this morning - 8:30 to 9:30am.

Mostly feeds alone on the grassy edge of pavement, directly below the pampas patch between two ‘boat parking only’ signs (and a boat trailer) on the northside of parking area and below willows and the 2 houses.

When startled, moves with the sparrow and finch flocks into the berry hillside above or, southwest across the parking area to the paved Trin Head road and grassy hillside above the lighthouse model and Trin State Bch dirt parking lot.

Obvious white wing patches, with some black around base of conical bill, chin and several wing and tail feathers. Streaked on brown above and whitish below.

Melody Hamilton - Trinidad CA.
Moves_._,_._,_

Back to top
Date: 10/12/19 8:11 am
From: <judeclairepower...>
Subject: [NWCALBIRD] Dark Red-tails
On Friday afternoon, Ken Burton and I observed two dark brown Red-tailed Hawks from Foster Rd. near Polaris. They were entirely dark with the exception of their red tails and were perched on power poles south and north of Foster. For a minute or two, one individual flew toward the other, flushing it. Much vocalizing ensued before both ultimately retreated to their respective sides of Foster.

Not a significant record, but we weren’t eBirding and some peeps might be interested. Seeing adjacent dark phase RTHAs is a relatively recent phenomenon in Arcata.

Jude Power
occupied Kori
Humboldt Co.

Back to top
Date: 10/7/19 2:03 pm
From: L F via Groups.Io <thelizziefox=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [NWCALBIRD] Broad-winged Hawk over Arcata Marsh
Posting on Fix's behalf. -Lizzie

***

At 1230 today I saw a juv. Broad-winged Hawk from the Arcata Marsh and Wildlife Sanctuary. I had just set up the scope to look northward for raptors when this thing appeared from somewhere in the vicinity of the east side of the log pond, flying at 80-100' or so. The sky was clear, the waxwings were beginning to flycatch, and the light was excellent.

I had an old 20x Spacemaster on the hawk while it moved NW and then W, crossed I Street around Samoa Boulevard, and then disappeared over the Directional Ponds.

I well noted the seemingly featureless dorsal surface--dull brown, neither pale nor dark; a conservative, finely barred tail with noticeable thin charcoal terminal band; curiously angled tail-tip (more so than in Red-tailed Hawk); pale underwings entirely lacking a darker patagium or leading edge and marked essentially only by well-defined black primary tips; a suggestion of the beginning of a paler primary panel, viewed from above and to the side, caused by paler inner webs when it opened the hand a bit (nothing approaching a Red-shouldered Hawk); a slightly pinched-in wing base; un-Red-tail-like expansion at the rear of the wing ( i.e., unlike the shape of the secondary bulge shown by HY Red-tail); rather tight circling radius and time (it did this a few times about 150 m away); ill-defined-looking but apparent dark malar; loosely streaked breast on pale ground; clear belly, and a somewhat Cooper's-like look from the side as it flew along on basically flat wings with only occasional flaps (cadence just a little less quick than RSHA). The bird had eaten today.

I include all of this information in support of the first record of this species for the Arcata Marsh--it's the 339th, I believe, for the patch--and my 285th.

I want to relate that this was the start of the twelfth hour of occasional sky-scans I have done at the Marsh in the past couple of weeks, a period that included a juv. Swainson's Hawk (#284) on 10-1. I've found that perhaps the best spot is the southeast corner of the elevated parking e. of South I Street--"Mount Parkmore"--as it offers an unobstructed view NE over toward Fickle Hill, as well as the tops of thermals occurring to the west beyond McDaniel Slough, and is in the open so it's not beset by the late mosquitoes.

*Fix*
Cowflop-on-Grotzman Creek,
Overcast Brae
Baja Jefferson
Occupied Gaia

"You can observe a lot by watching."
/ Lawrence Peter Berra, 1925-2015 / won 10 World Series

Back to top
Date: 10/5/19 10:19 pm
From: Tony Kurz <tonyk_71220...>
Subject: [NWCALBIRD] Mountain Magic today in Humboldt 10/5/19
I birded Horse Mountain and Titlow Hill Rd today with Spencer Seale.  We had very birdy and unexpected day up on the ridge.  At Cold Springs rock climbing spot I had a brief look at a male WILLIAMSON'S SAPSUCKER that briefly perched on top of a Jeffery Pine.  The bird flew within seconds after seeing it in the scope.  We spent a good 30 minutes looking for it with no luck.  Soon after Spencer spotted 3 CLARK'S NUTCRACKER'S flying high headed east.  Before all this action there was at least 6 LEWIS'S WOODPECKER'S down below the climbing spot in the White Oaks.  The same location we a WHITE-HEADED WOODPECKER fly-by (he only one of the day).  At the Cold Springs parking area there was a small group of EVENING GROSBEAKS.
More details on ebird list:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S60381016 ( https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S603810 )

Headed East after Cold Springs we ended our day at the intersection of Titlow Hill Rd and FS Rd 5N01.  At this location we heard another nutcracker calling from up-slope east of the rd.  I played the call and it came in and began to forage on cones in Jeffery Pines.
See Ebird list for photos:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S60380653

Good Birding!
Tony Kurz

Back to top
Date: 10/3/19 8:29 am
From: Tim Bray <tbray...>
Subject: [NWCALBIRD] Mendocino half-day Pelagic
This Sunday, October 6, Ron LeValley and David Jensen will lead a
half-day pelagic seabird field trip on the Kraken out of Noyo Harbor.
We will meet at 7:30 AM at the Anchor Charters dock, North Harbor
Drive, Fort Bragg and expect to return around 12:30. Cost is $65,
payable directly to Anchor Charters. Reservations are recommended;
contact Nikki Houtz, (570) 765-1848 or <nicolethoutz...> to
reserve your spot.

Deep marine canyons, easily reached in less than an hour on the
Kraken, give us a chance to see many pelagic species that are usually
found well offshore. Marine mammals are also likely, including
Pacific White-sided Dolphin and Humpback Whale Blue Whales and even
Fin Whales have been seen recently as well. --
Cheers,
Tim BrayAlbion

--
Cheers,
Tim Bray

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#283) | Reply To Sender | Reply To Group | Mute
This Topic | New Topic

Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe
[<lists...>]
_._,_._,_

Back to top
Date: 9/28/19 9:31 am
From: Michael H. Morris via Groups.Io <lilmorris2000=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: Re: [NWCALBIRD] RRAS BirdBox/Rare Bird Alert is no Longer
The Bird Box is dead. Long live the Bird Box!Michael
On Saturday, September 28, 2019, 09:29:59 AM PDT, gary <gary...> wrote:

I'd like to second that. The bird boxed served us well for many, many years.

Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Tom Leskiw <tomleskiw...> Date: 9/28/19 9:14 AM (GMT-08:00) To: <NWCALBIRD...> Cc: <CALBIRDS...> Subject: Fw: [NWCALBIRD] RRAS BirdBox/Rare Bird Alert is no Longer
Elias Elias is due a big Thank You for his many years of service in keeping the Arcata Bird Box running (through numerous versions, iterations, computers, glitches, and a bunch of technical stuff I really don’t understand). In my U.S. travels, I was always proud of the fact that we had the Bird Box.. and was astounded at the number of big-time birding hot spots that didn’t have this vital form of communication. Thanks, Elias!! Tom LeskiwBlue Lakeish From: Gail Kenny Sent: Friday, September 27, 2019 2:02 PMTo: <NWCALBIRD...> Subject: [NWCALBIRD] RRAS BirdBox/Rare Bird Alert is no Longer
After more than a year of deliberation, the Redwood Region Audubon Society Board decided to cancel the RRAS Rare Bird Alert Phone Number (707-822-5666).

If you have tried to call the Redwood Region Audubon Society Rare Bird Alert phone number (707-822-5666) after August 31, 2019, there is only a busy signal. Since this was an “internet” phone number it appears that a message saying the number is no longer in service, or another more specific message was not available. However, we will be checking into this to see if a message can be added to end any confusion.

The board felt that with other rare bird alerts such as <nwcalbirds...>, ebird rare bird alerts, social media options, and the declining use of the phone number, it was no longer worth the cost to keep the RRAS Rare Bird Alert up and running.

If you haven’t already signed up for Humboldt County ebird rare bird alerts, go here: https://ebird.org/alert/ summary?sid=SN35777. There are options for how frequently to get updates.

The RRAS Board is sorry for any confusion over what happened to the Rare Bird Alert phone number.

I just want to reflect that we have come along way in getting the word out about local rarities. In the early 1990s the rare bird alert consisted of a phone tree. This was replaced by the Rare Bird Alert/Birdbox phone number.

Thank you to everyone who was involved in keeping the RRAS Rare Bird Alert/Birdbox up and running and to all those who used the service.

Sincerely,

Gail Kenny

RRAS Secretary

Back to top

Date: 9/27/19 2:02 pm
From: Gail Kenny <gailgkenny...>

If you haven’t already signed up for Humboldt County ebird rare bird alerts, go here: https://ebird.org/alert/ summary?sid=SN35777 ( https://ebird.org/alert/summary?sid=SN35777 ). There are options for how frequently to get updates.

Date: 9/26/19 2:58 pm
From: L F via Groups.Io <thelizziefox=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [NWCALBIRD] Vesper Sparrow, Trinidad, Humboldt County
There is a Vesper Sparrow at Edwards St x Trinity St in Trinidad, where the lighthouse used to be. The bird is foraging alone mostly on the sidewalk on the south side of Edwards but also has been on the grassy shoulder and in the street.
Lizzie

Back to top
Date: 9/26/19 9:15 am
From: Tom Leskiw <tomleskiw...>
Subject: Re: [NWCALBIRD] HumCo 9/25/19 Clay-Colored Sparrow
I shared photos with Rob Fowler who says the bird is in fact a Chipping Sparrow.

My apologies.

Tom Leskiw
Blue Lakeish

Back to top
Date: 9/25/19 6:43 pm
From: Tom Leskiw <tomleskiw...>
Subject: [NWCALBIRD] HumCo Clay-colored Sparrow 9/25/19
I had a CLAY-COLORED SPARROW today 9/25/19 about 300’ north of the Hammond Bridge on Fisher road in McKinleyville. It was near the roadside puddle of water. Crummy, yet diagnostic photos were obtained.

There was also a SAY’S PHOEBE several hundred feet to the north, west of the McK CSD Pumping Station[?]

Tom Leskiw
Blue Lakeish

Back to top
Date: 9/23/19 3:35 pm
From: L F via Groups.Io <thelizziefox=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [NWCALBIRD] Lewis’s Woodpecker, Kneeland, Humboldt County
At ~1415, I had a Lewis’s Woodpecker at the junction of Kneeland Rd and Mountain View Rd in Kneeland. After 5 minutes it flew out of sight to the northwest. I tried to relocate it on Barry Rd to no avail. There was also a Say’s Phoebe at the airstrip.
Lizzie

Back to top
Date: 9/23/19 10:08 am
From: Elias Elias <call7076338833...>
Subject: [NWCALBIRD] Hybrid zone for Selaphorus
I just heard about this paper yesterday.

Behavioral and morphological evidence of an Allen’s × Rufous hummingbird (Selasphorus sasin × S. rufus) hybrid zone in southern Oregon and northern California

Interestingly, the paper describes behavior differences related to tail feather morpholgy and resulting harmonic differences of the dive display. Among other tid bits of information.

If you don’t have access to the paper, I can send a PDF.

Flock on!

Elias/Ηλία
Arcata CA/en plein air
Walkie talkie primero=707-633-8833