NWCALBIRD
Received From Subject
6/26/20 5:29 pm Tom Leskiw <tomleskiw...> [NWCALBIRD] HumCo Purple Martins, etc 6/26/20
6/23/20 10:48 am Ron Melin <er2melin...> [NWCALBIRD] No. Mockingbird Continues
6/21/20 9:53 am Russ Namitz <namitzr...> [NWCALBIRD] Lingering nearshore species - 6/20
6/20/20 10:15 pm Tom Leskiw <tomleskiw...> Re: [NWCALBIRD] Humboldt lists, records, etc
6/20/20 5:42 pm Russ Namitz <namitzr...> [NWCALBIRD] Humboldt lists, records, etc
6/19/20 8:32 am Elias Elias <call7076338833...> [NWCALBIRD] Call to action: migratory bird treaty act
6/17/20 11:15 am Tom Leskiw <tomleskiw...> [NWCALBIRD] HumCo Hooded Wabler 6/17/20
6/16/20 10:24 am Gary Bloomfield via groups.io <bloomfieldstudio=<me.com...> Re: [NWCALBIRD] Humboldt County 400 club updates
6/16/20 9:03 am Tom Leskiw <tomleskiw...> [NWCALBIRD] Humboldt County 400 club updates
6/16/20 8:37 am Tom Leskiw <tomleskiw...> [NWCALBIRD] HumCo Saw-whet Owl, etc
6/15/20 9:11 pm Ron Melin <er2melin...> [NWCALBIRD] Northern Mockingbird at Dry Lagoon
6/12/20 11:26 am 'Hunter, John E' <john_e_hunter...> [nwcalbird] <nwcalbird-noreply...> [nwcalbird] Whit-throated Swift locations in HUM
6/8/20 8:18 pm Russ Namitz <namitzr...> [NWCALBIRD] Fw: Certificate (band#: 2097-59964 date: 06/04/2020)

Back to top
Date: 6/26/20 5:29 pm
From: Tom Leskiw <tomleskiw...>
Subject: [NWCALBIRD] HumCo Purple Martins, etc 6/26/20
Today June 26, I had at least two PURPLE MARTINS soaring above a stand of dead-topped redwoods near the confluence of Prairie Creek and Skunk Cabbage Creek. During 5 years of field work in support of the Humboldt Breeding Bird Atlas, PUMA was not detected in this block, known as G5.

There was a hen WOOD DUCK with one juvenile at the portion of the Redwood Creek oxbow that is reached via a hike on the west levee.

I had no luck in re-finding the NORTHERN PARULA on the road to the Skunk Cabbage trailhead (just north of Orick) nor the NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRD reported at Dry Lagoon.

Tom Leskiw
Blue Lakeish

Back to top
Date: 6/23/20 10:48 am
From: Ron Melin <er2melin...>
Subject: [NWCALBIRD] No. Mockingbird Continues
The bird was observed about a quarter of a mile north of the parking lot perched atop windswept spruce. The bird was mute.

Back to top
Date: 6/21/20 9:53 am
From: Russ Namitz <namitzr...>
Subject: [NWCALBIRD] Lingering nearshore species - 6/20
I was out on Saturday morning in the Trinidad area for the Seabird Protection Network looking at nearshore seastack occupancy and noted a few lingering species on the water....

Still a smattering of SURF SCOTERS around with a large flock of about 75 off Tepona Point; mixed in were 5 WHITE-WINGED SCOTERS.

A handful of WESTERN GREBES showing with at least 3 CLARK'S GREBES in the mix off Tepona Point.

WESTERN GULL fuzz balls are walking around as many (most?) have fledged from nests. Some fairly close views for photos are available from .......Tepona Point.

Cheers and good birding,
Russ Namitz

Back to top
Date: 6/20/20 10:15 pm
From: Tom Leskiw <tomleskiw...>
Subject: Re: [NWCALBIRD] Humboldt lists, records, etc
Russ,

Joe Morlan’s web page has good info, but is dated (re: Big Years, Daryl Coldren eclipsed Barry Sauppe then Keith Slauson eclipsed Daryl’s). https://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/hum.htm

1) Big Day: I recall seeing (at a minimum) a photo in RRAS’s Sandpiper of the team of Brad Elvert, Gary Bloomfield, David Fix, Sean McAllister and Tristan McKee(?) (sorry if I have the names wrong) . It’s logical that Fix wrote an article that appeared there. If a Big Day team member names the year and it predates Sandpiper archives, I likely have it in my Sandpiper hard copy files.

2) Big Year: I vaguely recall Daryl Coldren wrote up something for his 2011? Big Year for Sandpiper. Fix may have done the same for his 1996 Big Year. Not sure about Slauson

best,
Tom Leskiw
Blue Lakeish

Date: 6/19/20 8:32 am
From: Elias Elias <call7076338833...>
Subject: [NWCALBIRD] Call to action: migratory bird treaty act
June 5, 2020 to July 20, 2020
Public Review and Comment Period for the draft Environmental Impact Statement

As of today there are 31 days left in the comment period a proposed change to the migratory bird treaty act.

Alternative B seems to offer the strongest protections to birds because it would withdraw M-Opinion 37050 and promulgate regulations that define the scope of the MBTA to include incidental take

https://beta.regulations.gov/document/FWS-HQ-MB-2018-0090-8411

Flock on!

Elias/Ηλία
Arcata CA/en plein air
Walkie talkie primero=707-633-8833
Last ditch alternate=559-433-7254

Back to top
Date: 6/17/20 11:15 am
From: Tom Leskiw <tomleskiw...>
Subject: [NWCALBIRD] HumCo Hooded Wabler 6/17/20
I’m jumping on the HOODED WARBLER bandwagon as well. I had a visual on a singing male at 10:00 Wednesday morning in McKinleyville at the SE corner of North Coast Land Trust’s Cha-gah-cho property behind the KMart, about 100’ south of the doggie poop bag dispenser. It was still intermittently singing when I left although moving westward a bit.

Tom Leskiw
Blue Lakeish

Back to top
Date: 6/16/20 10:24 am
From: Gary Bloomfield via groups.io <bloomfieldstudio=<me.com...>
Subject: Re: [NWCALBIRD] Humboldt County 400 club updates
Thanks, Tom!

Gary Bloomfield

Bloomfield Studio

> On Jun 16, 2020, at 9:07 AM, Tom Leskiw <tomleskiw...> wrote:
>

> Birders,
> I spoke with John Sterling recently. He agreed to update the info/stats on the Humboldt County 400 club at
> https://www.sterlingbirds.com/Humboldt%20400%20Club.html
>
> I am sending this out via this listserv because there may be recent “graduates” that I am unaware of. Tony Kurz is one that I am aware of. Congrats again, Tony.
>
> This update will also be an opportunity for 3 folks (Gary Friedrichsen, Rob Fowler, Gary Bloomfield) who are included in the link above but have yet to furnish A) a brief bio, B) their list of 5 favorite finds or C) a photograph.
>
> Based on my personal list, the last update appears to have been done immediately following the Great Gray Owl in December 2016.
>
> I agreed to simplify things for John by collating your updates. Please send to me at <tomleskiw...>
>
> thanks,
> Tom Leskiw
> Blue Lakeish

Back to top

Date: 6/16/20 8:37 am
From: Tom Leskiw <tomleskiw...>
Subject: [NWCALBIRD] HumCo Saw-whet Owl, etc
On Sun night 6/14 and again last night at 10:00 pm a NORTHERN SAW-WHET OWL was calling on our property. It’s likely the same bird that went silent starting about 2 weeks ago.

On Sunday, two pairs of very cooperative PURPLE MARTINS were on the power lines 200 feet west of the bridge in Korbel. One bird caught a large butterfly or day-flying moth and flew to the N/NE over the lumber mill. I suspect that this site is much quieter on weekends vs. weekdays.

Tom Leskiw
Blue Lakeish

Back to top
Date: 6/15/20 9:11 pm
From: Ron Melin <er2melin...>
Subject: [NWCALBIRD] Northern Mockingbird at Dry Lagoon
Saw a Mockingbird this evening at approx. 8:00. about a quarter mile north of the parking lot. The bird was mute, perched on a windswept fir in the back beach area.

Back to top
Date: 6/12/20 11:26 am
From: 'Hunter, John E' <john_e_hunter...> [nwcalbird] <nwcalbird-noreply...>
Subject: [nwcalbird] Whit-throated Swift locations in HUM
Sorry if these WTSW sites in Humboldt are already known. On the morning of 6/10/20 while traveling east on Highway 36, Shuhan and I observed at least 6 WTSW chasing each other and entering probable nest sites in the drain holes of J. Dwight ODell Bride over the Van Duzen River. At least one bird was also present at Bernard Hemenway Bridge, and at least 6 were also calling, chasing, and entering probably nest holes in the George Cox Bridge. The expansion of WTSW into NW California continues.

John E. Hunter

Back to top
Date: 6/8/20 8:18 pm
From: Russ Namitz <namitzr...>
Subject: [NWCALBIRD] Fw: Certificate (band#: 2097-59964 date: 06/04/2020)
Hello all~

All too late, I realized that this is probably the more appropriate place to share such a post instead of the Facebook IM RBA text group. This CACKLING GOOSE was at the Arcata Marsh on June 4th, 2020 (and probably before and after). The banding certificate say that it is a male "Aleutian CANADA Goose," a testament that the USGS needs to update its common name nomenclature. However, CACKLING GOOSE without the subspecies designation is a choice in the database.

Anyway, this post was meant to be more informative than disparaging. A good goose ID article (also rife with common name "errors") can be found here.
https://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/hunting/waterfowl/goose-permits/docs/Goosefieldguide_2ndEdition_final.pdf

Good birding,
Russ Namitz