NWCALBIRD
Received From Subject
11/27/19 11:57 am Michael H. Morris via Groups.Io <lilmorris2000=<yahoo.com...> [NWCALBIRD] Fw: Leach's Storm Petrels
11/25/19 4:38 pm Rob Fowler <migratoriusfwlr...> [NWCALBIRD] Another Worm-eating Warbler on private land today, 25 Nov.
11/24/19 11:46 am Melissa Dougherty <nevrdoughn...> Re: [NWCALBIRD] Compiler needed for 2019 CADN CBC
11/23/19 7:37 pm Gary Lester <garys.lester...> Re: [NWCALBIRD] Compiler needed for 2019 CADN CBC
11/22/19 9:47 pm Gary Lester <garys.lester...> [NWCALBIRD] Compiler needed for 2019 CADN CBC
11/22/19 6:49 pm Tony Kurz <tonyk_71220...> [NWCALBIRD] Arcata CBC will be Sat. 12/14/19
11/22/19 4:17 pm C. Ryan <cormorantfingers...> [NWCALBIRD] Fort Humboldt Scarlet Tanager
11/20/19 3:29 pm Tom Leskiw <tomleskiw...> [NWCALBIRD] HumCo Say's Phoebes, etc 11/20/19
11/20/19 12:44 pm <judeclairepower...> [NWCALBIRD] Centerville CBC, HUM
11/12/19 9:03 am <greg...> [NWCALBIRD] Humboldt County : Blue Jay in Fortuna

Back to top
Date: 11/27/19 11:57 am
From: Michael H. Morris via Groups.Io <lilmorris2000=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [NWCALBIRD] Fw: Leach's Storm Petrels

----- Forwarded Message ----- From: michael morris <lilmorris2000...>To: CAL BIRDS <calbirds...>Sent: Wednesday, November 27, 2019, 11:55:41 AM PSTSubject: Fw: Leach's Storm Petrels

----- Forwarded Message ----- From: michael morris <lilmorris2000...>To: CAL BIRDS <calbirds...>Sent: Wednesday, November 27, 2019, 11:45:40 AM PSTSubject: Leach's Storm Petrels
All,I had at least four of what I would identify as Leach's Storm Petrels flying (and one sitting) in the Bay off King Salmon. That was around 10:30 this morning. If anyone would like to go out and turn them into Wilson's that would be great but I'm pretty sure they were Leach's. I was surprised at how little else there was considering the ocean state; some Surf Scoters and an assortment of Loons and Grebes.Michael H. Morris

Back to top
Date: 11/25/19 4:38 pm
From: Rob Fowler <migratoriusfwlr...>
Subject: [NWCALBIRD] Another Worm-eating Warbler on private land today, 25 Nov.
Hi all,
While doing a point count for the Wiyot tribe on their reservation I found
another WORM-EATING WARBLER. This location is inaccessible to the public.
Details in my eBird report here: https://ebird.org/checklist/S61752861

On my way through Eureka I had an adult male YELLOW WARBLER right in front
of the Surfside Burger Shack along Highway 101.

Cheers,

Rob

--
Rob Fowler
McKinleyville, CA

Back to top
Date: 11/24/19 11:46 am
From: Melissa Dougherty <nevrdoughn...>
Subject: Re: [NWCALBIRD] Compiler needed for 2019 CADN CBC
Thanks Lucas!!!
> On Nov 23, 2019, at 6:37 PM, Gary Lester <garys.lester...> wrote:
>

> Update for all not on Humboldt Messenger, Lucas Brug will step up to compile this year's Del Norte County Christmas Bird Count. The count will go on.

Back to top

Date: 11/22/19 9:47 pm
From: Gary Lester <garys.lester...>
Subject: [NWCALBIRD] Compiler needed for 2019 CADN CBC
To all: I'm putting out a request for an interested birder to take on the
Del Norte County Christmas Bird Count this year as compiler. Alan Barron,
long time compiler for the count is unable to take on the 2019
responsibility.

Please contact me directly off list if you are willing to direct birder
traffic and submit the subsequent data for this year's count to Audubon. I
am hoping to have a compiler in charge by December 5th at the latest or
this year's count may take the year off.

Thanks,
Gary Lester

Back to top
Date: 11/22/19 6:49 pm
From: Tony Kurz <tonyk_71220...>
Subject: [NWCALBIRD] Arcata CBC will be Sat. 12/14/19
Hey folks,

It's looking like a good late fall so far, lets hope some of these birds stick around for the count.  Just as usual will the regulars please email or contact me by phone to let me know if they're going to be around for the count.  For people that want to participate for the first time please feel free to contact me.

I want to try something new this count.  I was thinking since most use eBird these days.  My idea would be each party/leader create a personal location for their area, and maybe in notes just say, day list created for Arcata CBC.  Then I would create an account specifically for the count, lets just just call it (Arcata CBC).  This is similar to what we do at the Godwit Days festival.  At the end of the day each leader would share their list to the account or user name.  I know there may be folks that don't use eBird and that's okay.  For the non eBird users we can just keep it old fashion with paper forms.  Once I get everyone lined out on their routes I will contact each individual about discussing their routes and boundaries.  I can also meet everyone at a location to discuss info and routes.  I'll let everyone know what I've decided.

Lastly, this coming CBC compilation will be held at El Chipotle in Sunnybrae at 5PM.  The address is 850 Crescent Way, Arcata

Hope you all have a Happy Thanksgiving and it will be nice to see everyone for the count!

Tony Kurz
<tonyk_71220...>
559-333-0893

Back to top
Date: 11/22/19 4:17 pm
From: C. Ryan <cormorantfingers...>
Subject: [NWCALBIRD] Fort Humboldt Scarlet Tanager
This morning in the back lot at Fort Humboldt Tony Kurz and I had nice looks at a Scarlet Tanager. The bird was in the lot most of the time actively flycatching in the alders. It occasionally disappeared into the yards to the east. Sean showed up and the bird returned a few minutes later to forage about the alders. After a bit more foraging about the bird flew up to the tip of a small conifer and then shot off towards the north and out of sight, maybe moving down the hill towards the habitat around the mall. Sean got some photos and Tony was able to get a few shots from our little work camera. I was able to get a brief recording of the calls. The bird was the same color as the alders it was in and when it wasn't moving it was a surprisingly difficult to get on. It often gave itself away with small little thrush-like cheer'weep calls.

Good birding,
Casey Ryan

Back to top
Date: 11/20/19 3:29 pm
From: Tom Leskiw <tomleskiw...>
Subject: [NWCALBIRD] HumCo Say's Phoebes, etc 11/20/19
It strikes me that it’s not too early to scout for upcoming CBCs:

Tall Trees CBC
Today 11/20 There was a BALD EAGLE, SHARP-SHINNED and COOPER’S HAWK at Dry Lagoon. A RED-THROATED LOON was in the Redwood Creek estuary.There was also a SAY’S PHOEBE at the Orick Rodeo Grounds.

Arcata CBC
Yesterday 11/19 there was a FERRUGINOUS HAWK soaring with the gulls over the Ray’s Supermarket parking lot in Valley West (Arcata). A SAY’S PHOEBE was at the unfinished small duplex/apt complex just SW of Carlson Park in the Business Park.

Tom Leskiw
Blue Lakeish

Back to top
Date: 11/20/19 12:44 pm
From: <judeclairepower...>
Subject: [NWCALBIRD] Centerville CBC, HUM
Fellow Counters,

Because Sean McAllister will be unavailable this year, I’ll be compiling the Centerville Christmas Bird Count on Sunday, Dec 29, 2019.

Next month, I’ll be contacting people to confirm count areas and other details. You can assume you’ll have your usual assignment if you’ve been a regular annual participant.

Centerville is the grandfather CBC of the North Coast region and was compiled for decades by none other than the esteemed Stanley “Doc” Harris. It is thus imbued with a certain gravitas. I will do my best to ensure the Count Circle is well covered, and all participants are satisfied with their areas and teams.

Have a tasty and heartfelt Day of Thanks next week,
Jude Power
<judeclairepower...>
(707)502-8382 cell

Back to top
Date: 11/12/19 9:03 am
From: <greg...>
Subject: [NWCALBIRD] Humboldt County : Blue Jay in Fortuna
Yesterday morning, a group of us was able to get good looks at the Blue Jay in Fortuna.
The bird was first found and reported to eBird on Saturday by Neil Palmer.

The Blue Jay was seen at 1398 9th st. Exn (9th and Christian Ridge rd./ 40.603935,-124.157321).

Greg Chapman
Humboldt