northbaybirds
Received From Subject
4/22/24 5:35 pm Mike Carozza via groups.io <mike.carozza...> [northbaybirds] Black-chinned, Nashville, Pleasant Hill Rd Sebastopol
4/22/24 10:18 am Dede Sabbag via groups.io <dede.sabbag...> Re: [northbaybirds] Occidental FOS 4;22
4/22/24 10:13 am mike.heffernon via groups.io <mheff...> [northbaybirds] Occidental FOS 4;22
4/21/24 10:10 am Pam Harris via groups.io <pamharris1...> [northbaybirds] White Tailed Kites nesting
4/21/24 7:06 am claudia via groups.io <pinchipelon...> Re: [northbaybirds] Golden Eagle
4/20/24 8:32 pm David Barry via groups.io <wildbarrydb...> [northbaybirds] Golden Eagle
4/19/24 10:25 am Daniel Edelstein via groups.io <danieledelstein...> [northbaybirds] Swainson’s Thrush @ Five Brooks, Point Reyes National Seashore
4/16/24 8:03 am Cynthia Boyer via groups.io <byerbird...> [northbaybirds] Cedar Waxwings in Sonoma off 5th Street West
4/15/24 7:18 pm claudia via groups.io <pinchipelon...> Re: [northbaybirds] Hooded orioles
4/15/24 7:11 pm Dennis Olson via groups.io <eyeper...> Re: [northbaybirds] Hooded orioles
4/15/24 7:06 pm Kathy Gatenby via groups.io <gkrbarg...> [northbaybirds] Hooded orioles
4/14/24 8:57 am Cynthia Boyer via groups.io <byerbird...> [northbaybirds] Hundreds of screechy Cedar Waxwings in town of Sonoma off 5th Street West
4/13/24 4:12 pm Daniel Edelstein <danieledelstein...> [northbaybirds] 420 Aleutian Cackling Goose (Branta hutchinsii leucopareia) remain at Las Gallinas/NBB area...i.e., 2nd-most "tardy"/late eBird sighting for this location
4/13/24 6:55 am jimwhitebbs <jimwhitebbs...> [northbaybirds] Stafford Lake BUOR and WEKI
4/12/24 12:24 pm Robin Leong <robin_leong...> [northbaybirds] Bald Eagle attempting to nest on Mare Island, Solano County
4/11/24 3:37 pm jimwhitebbs <jimwhitebbs...> [northbaybirds] Tropical Kingbird
4/10/24 7:46 pm gkrbarg via groups.io <gkrbarg...> [northbaybirds] hooded oriole
4/10/24 10:29 am mike.heffernon <mheff...> [northbaybirds] FOS Occidental Birds
4/9/24 2:03 pm Cynthia Boyer <byerbird...> [northbaybirds] FOS (for me) Female Hooded Oriole - town of Sonoma
4/8/24 3:28 pm <pinchipelon...> [northbaybirds] pair of hooded orioles!! 2nd st east sonoma
4/8/24 3:18 pm David Assmann via groups.io <david_assmann...> [northbaybirds] Swamp Sparrow at Las Gallinas
4/6/24 7:46 pm gkrbarg via groups.io <gkrbarg...> [northbaybirds] hooded oriole siting
4/6/24 2:21 pm Alvaro Jaramillo <chucao...> Re: [northbaybirds] Bonaparte's Gull/Black-legged Kittiwake?
4/6/24 1:29 pm Max Keetch <maxkeetch...> [northbaybirds] Bonaparte's Gull/Black-legged Kittiwake?
4/4/24 12:24 pm jimwhitebbs <jimwhitebbs...> [northbaybirds] Barred O, McCurdy trail, GGNPS
4/3/24 7:43 pm <pinchipelon...> [northbaybirds] beautiful hooded orioles
4/2/24 2:00 pm Alvaro Jaramillo <chucao...> [northbaybirds] Spring pelagics - Bodega Bay - Half Moon Bay.
4/2/24 1:51 pm Daniel Edelstein <danieledelstein...> [northbaybirds] Seasonal Detection/Observation Notes...Phenology....Etc., Et Al From Recent Outings:
4/1/24 12:58 pm richard cimino <yellowbilledtours...> Re: [northbaybirds] Cliff Swallows plus
4/1/24 12:09 pm Dede Sabbag via groups.io <dede.sabbag...> Re: [northbaybirds] FOS male Hooded Oriole- town of Sonoma
4/1/24 11:56 am Cynthia Boyer <byerbird...> [northbaybirds] FOS male Hooded Oriole- town of Sonoma
3/30/24 9:37 pm Rishab Ghosh <rishab.ghosh...> Re: [northbaybirds] GLGull on Gull Rock
3/30/24 2:40 pm jimwhitebbs <jimwhitebbs...> [northbaybirds] GLGull on Gull Rock
3/26/24 9:12 pm Daniel Edelstein <danieledelstein...> [northbaybirds] Grasshopper Sparrow: Crane Creek Regional Park, Rohnert Park, Sonoma Co.
3/26/24 7:21 pm Matt Lau <mjaylau707...> [northbaybirds] Point Reyes Snowy Plover Nesting Season 2024

Back to top
Date: 4/22/24 5:35 pm
From: Mike Carozza via groups.io <mike.carozza...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Black-chinned, Nashville, Pleasant Hill Rd Sebastopol
Hi Birders,

Today as I sat on our porch on Pleasant Hill Road in Sebastopol, an adult
male BLACK-CHINNED HUMMINGBIRD buzzed past our feeder showing its
beautiful violet-colored gorget. I've never seen one in Northern
California, but it wasn't an Anna's because the gorget was so purple and
confined to the throat (which also rules out Costa's). Later, there was a
NASHVILLE WARBLER foraging and singing in a live oak down our hill from
that spot. A CHIPPING SPARROW and ASH-THROATED FLYCATCHERS also sang while
TREE SWALLOWS jockeyed with bluebirds for our nest boxes.

Happy Spring!

MC

Back to top
Date: 4/22/24 10:18 am
From: Dede Sabbag via groups.io <dede.sabbag...>
Subject: Re: [northbaybirds] Occidental FOS 4;22
We heard several in Chileno Valley last Saturday.
~Dede

On Apr 22, 2024, at 10:13 AM, mike.heffernon <mheff...> wrote:

Hello birders,

I heard my first Ash-throated Flycatcher of the season this morning, at home, a couple of miles SW of the town of Occidental.
Good birding,
Mike Heffernon
Occidental

Back to top

Date: 4/21/24 10:10 am
From: Pam Harris via groups.io <pamharris1...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] White Tailed Kites nesting
I have a pair of White Tail Kites nesting at the top of a large conifer outside my house in Larkspur. I wake each morning to their chirps and love watching them fly back and forth to the nest with twigs. Lots of fighting off the crows. I think I hear babies when the adults return to the nest but not sure.

Back to top
Date: 4/21/24 7:06 am
From: claudia via groups.io <pinchipelon...>
Subject: Re: [northbaybirds] Golden Eagle
i would have never thought there were golden eagles here...thats amazing.

> On 04/20/2024 8:31 PM PDT David Barry <wildbarrydb...> wrote:
>

> Hello NBB's,
> This morning (04/20/24) we were on a Wildflower Hike with Sonoma Mountain Preservation at Van Hoosear Wildflower Preserve in Sonoma, CA.
> I was able to spot and point out for the group an adult GOLDEN EAGLE being harrassed by an American Crow and 2 RED-SHOULDERED HAWKS.
> The Eagle soared right over our heads and was then picked up and harrassed by a RED-TAILED HAWK.
> Fun day.
> Dave Barry
> Santa Rosa

Back to top

Date: 4/19/24 10:25 am
From: Daniel Edelstein via groups.io <danieledelstein...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Swainson’s Thrush @ Five Brooks, Point Reyes National Seashore
….some of you may have also been hearing for the first time the call note of the arriving Swainson’s Thrush.

I am now hearing the “whit” call version in its repertoire of different call notes… Usually the first version I hear is a more of a drip note different call note version and its repertoire. So I think it’s interesting to hear it for the first time the spring for me. A different call note that I’m usually hearing initially.

….excuse me: now back to my birding tour that I’m leading as a volunteer for the point reyes birding festival.

Regards, Daniel Edelstein
Novato, CA

WarblerWatch.com

Back to top
Date: 4/16/24 8:03 am
From: Cynthia Boyer via groups.io <byerbird...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Cedar Waxwings in Sonoma off 5th Street West
the mobile home park where I live has a lot of privit berries.  I can see that the birds have stripped most all the fruit off the trees and bushes here.  "Word" got out to the Cedar Waxwing "universe" that a banquet of berries be here.

Back to top
Date: 4/15/24 7:18 pm
From: claudia via groups.io <pinchipelon...>
Subject: Re: [northbaybirds] Hooded orioles
me too...i will keep my fingers crossed....whats up with the cedar waxwing on 5th west in sonoma...

Back to top
Date: 4/15/24 7:11 pm
From: Dennis Olson via groups.io <eyeper...>
"Ours" is back, too.  In NW Santa Rosa.   With big fan palm.Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: "Kathy Gatenby via groups.io" <gkrbarg...> Date: 4/15/24 7:06 PM (GMT-08:00) To: <northbaybirds...> Subject: [northbaybirds] Hooded orioles My pair is definitely back😀 both at feeder every day. Hope the other pair arriveYahoo Mail: Search, Organize, Conquer

Back to top
Date: 4/15/24 7:06 pm
From: Kathy Gatenby via groups.io <gkrbarg...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Hooded orioles

Date: 4/14/24 8:57 am
From: Cynthia Boyer via groups.io <byerbird...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Hundreds of screechy Cedar Waxwings in town of Sonoma off 5th Street West
The sound is deafening for those with ability to hear high frequency sound. They have been flying around for over a week now...their numbers growing.

Back to top
Date: 4/13/24 4:12 pm
From: Daniel Edelstein <danieledelstein...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] 420 Aleutian Cackling Goose (Branta hutchinsii leucopareia) remain at Las Gallinas/NBB area...i.e., 2nd-most "tardy"/late eBird sighting for this location
Birders:

Please note I was surprised to see 420 Aleutian Cackling Goose ( Branta hutchinsii leucopareia )
at 6:20 PM in the large, eastern, non-native grass habitat immediately east-northeast of the solar farm.

Per eBird observations at this site, this sighting is the *2nd most tardy* observation of this Cackling Goose
subspecies next to a 4/30/18 Ron Mallory sighting.

See:  https://ebird.org/map/alcgoo1?neg=true&<env.minX...>&<env.minY...>&<env.maxX...>&<env.maxY...>&zh=true&gp=false&ev=Z&excludeExX=false&excludeExAll=false&mr=3-5&bmo=3&emo=5&yr=all&byr=1900&eyr=2024

Strangely, perhaps, two female Gadwall were present in the middle of the Aleutian Cackling Goose pack.

One Green Heron was seen flying from south to north after flying from its perch on the eastern edge
of the north-northwest-most island in Pond #1....Thus, in the near future, I will be watchful for a potential active nest
on this island.

Regards,

Daniel Edelstein
Novato, CA

WarblerWatch.com

Back to top
Date: 4/13/24 6:55 am
From: jimwhitebbs <jimwhitebbs...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Stafford Lake BUOR and WEKI
Hi birders,

I parked near the eastern restrooms and immediately heard Bullocks orioles
in the live Oak overhead. I turned on Merlin while watching who noticed the
excited chatter of a W. Kingbird! Which I recognized in the leafing out
Valley Oak above. The male oriole is spectacular and the I got bin views of
the kingbird near the ranch across the road.
Sorry of the slightly tardy report,
Jim

Back to top
Date: 4/12/24 12:24 pm
From: Robin Leong <robin_leong...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Bald Eagle attempting to nest on Mare Island, Solano County
Hi,
Patricia Hickey alerted me that a Bald Eagle is nesting on Mare Island. I checked on 4/11 at 11:20 AM for an hour, but there was a nest, but no birds. She told me that a pair usually come in around 6:30 PM. I returned at 7:10 PM. The pair was there as Patricia pointed out. She said that there is an adult and an immature. Sure enough, that is what I saw, my raptor id book says it is a transitional bird. The younger one was seen moving branches around the nest and trying to break nearby branches. The adult was just looking over what the younger one was doing. They did bump chests, but I didn't see any copulation or dancing.

Today I returned at 10:10. The transitional bird was on the nest trying to move sticks again. The nest is huge, I think they have been doing this in previous years. It is pretty late, but we'll see if they will produce a successful brood.

The location of the nest is best seen by entering Mare Island and driving on Azuar Road. Drive south until you get to the roundabout. Go around it past the Marine Commandant's house, and drive until you see a pullout. Drive past this to a driveway. Park. There will be a house on the West side in front of you. Look to the right past the house in the eucalyptus trees. You'll see the nest.
Robin Leong
Vallejo, CA

Back to top
Date: 4/11/24 3:37 pm
From: jimwhitebbs <jimwhitebbs...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Tropical Kingbird
Hello birders,

The wintering TRKI that David Sexton found back near New Year continues at
the east end of Bel Marin Keyes Blvd preening comfortably in the pine at
#1178 at 1:15 yesterday growing new tail feathers.

Jim W

Back to top
Date: 4/10/24 7:46 pm
From: gkrbarg via groups.io <gkrbarg...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] hooded oriole
I'm sure the Male hooded oriole is the one from the last two years.  He is used to me and could care less if I'm out on the porch with him feeding. Tonight he was singing and a female answered. Did not see her only heard here. He flew off to where she was calling from. The pair is eventually back.

Back to top
Date: 4/10/24 10:29 am
From: mike.heffernon <mheff...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] FOS Occidental Birds
I’m happy to report (finally) the arrival of Wilson’s Warblers here at home on Taylor Ln. This is about 2 weeks later than usual, per about 15 years of record keeping here. Other arrival dates include Orange-crowned Warblers (3/18), Violet-green Swallows (3/26), Western Flycatchers (3/31), and Hooded Orioles (4/6).
Good birding,

Mike Heffernon
Occidental

Back to top
Date: 4/9/24 2:03 pm
From: Cynthia Boyer <byerbird...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] FOS (for me) Female Hooded Oriole - town of Sonoma
Female Hoode Oriole at my hum feeder - 1:30pm. Southwest Sonoma off 5th St. West

Back to top
Date: 4/8/24 3:28 pm
From: <pinchipelon...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] pair of hooded orioles!! 2nd st east sonoma
our male hooded oriole that arrived march 30 was at the feeder with his mate this morning april 8...i am so grateful...now they just have to survive the fireworks on july 4.

Back to top
Date: 4/8/24 3:18 pm
From: David Assmann via groups.io <david_assmann...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Swamp Sparrow at Las Gallinas
A SWAMP SPARROW was on the south side of the first pond at Las Gallinas this morning.

Back to top
Date: 4/6/24 7:46 pm
From: gkrbarg via groups.io <gkrbarg...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] hooded oriole siting
My first male hooded oriole has arrived. April 6th 6pm.  sunset way sonoma ca

Back to top
Date: 4/6/24 2:21 pm
From: Alvaro Jaramillo <chucao...>
Subject: Re: [northbaybirds] Bonaparte's Gull/Black-legged Kittiwake?
Hi there.

The dark on the nape and the pale looking bill are Black-legged Kittiwake features. Nice one!

Alvaro

Alvaro Jaramillo

<mailto:<alvaro...> <alvaro...>

<http://www.alvarosadventures.com> www.alvarosadventures.com

Date: 4/4/24 12:24 pm
From: jimwhitebbs <jimwhitebbs...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Barred O, McCurdy trail, GGNPS
Hi Birders,

I was on the down hill part of an uphill night hike with 3 knowledgeable
friends from Rt 1 a mile north of the Bolinas junction on the NPS McCurdy
trail when we heard a Barred Owl. Pardon the late report but I suspect the
owl will be near the BBS Block 10-6 north boundary hearable from a mile up
where the trail enters the forest.

Jim White

Back to top
Date: 4/3/24 7:43 pm
From: <pinchipelon...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] beautiful hooded orioles
saw a male and female the week of march 22 and as of march 30 have two resident males at the feeder at 2nd st east sonoma...everything is right in the world...

Back to top
Date: 4/2/24 2:00 pm
From: Alvaro Jaramillo <chucao...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Spring pelagics - Bodega Bay - Half Moon Bay.
Hello all,

Happy spring! We are getting into the thick of it, and while you are
enjoying orioles and warblers coming back from the south, remember that the
marine birds are also on the move. Spring can be an exciting time to be
offshore, with northbound shearwaters, phalaropes, Sabine's Gulls, and
breeding plumage alcids. Lots is going on. In particular, it is a time when
some of the rarer offshore petrels can be found nearer to shore. It is peak
time for Murphy's, and a good time for Hawaiian and maybe Cook's petrels.
They are dependent on warmer water, and often windier conditions. It is also
a superb time out there for Laysan Albatross, and who knows maybe even the
rarer Short-tailed Albatross as there has been one seen in northernmost
California already. Note that we have a multi sanctuary permit that allows
us to do some chumming while offshore. This would apply to both of these
trips.

Water is warmer than usual offshore at this point, hopefully that remains
that way into late April.

Our two spring trips are Apr 28 - Bodega Bay and Cordell Bank

And May 11 - Half Moon Bay, to the Pioneer Canyon in San Francisco county.

You can sign up here, or choose one of the Farallon or pelagic trips later
on in the season. We visit the Farallon Islands in the breeding season
(summer), while the peak offshore pelagic season begins in July and goes
until October.

https://www.alvarosadventures.com/pelagic-dates-2024.html

good migration birding!!

Date: 4/2/24 1:51 pm
From: Daniel Edelstein <danieledelstein...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Seasonal Detection/Observation Notes...Phenology....Etc., Et Al From Recent Outings:
Hello birders...

Miscellaneous seasonal sighting notes follow: (NO rare/vagrant species noted in my long narrative, below.)

*APRIL 1:*

Since mid-March, I have tromped and gallumphed through the bovine-imprinted non-native grasslands on the south flank
of Mt. Burdell.....Result: my hearing of one singing *GRASSHOPPER SPARROW* occurred yesterday (4/1/24) at this northern
Novato Marin Open Space District parcel.....Where? If you're in a hurry, then lucky you, given parking at the dead end of San Mateo Way and walking ~800' north will yield an acoustiscape where I heard this species singing continuously for a few minutes.

Recording? Yes, this elusive sparrow species offered multiple, continuous songs....and I captured them on my Apple Watch "Voice Messages" app....given I sometimes prefer a phone-less hike to secure my escape from querying clients.....and, long saga short: I assumed it would be easy to transfer my "Voice Messages" song recording vignettes to my email.

Wrong. I am still trying....and calling Apple and soon visiting the helpful folks at the Apple Store.

One faint, one-time song of this species occurred for me last week in the meadow reached .5 mile from the San Andreas Circle
trailhead....(reached via San Marin Dr., which is a Hwy. 101 exit.)

Interested in the seasonal bar charts showing presence of this species on Mt. Burdell ...(and other species detected from Jan-Dec. annually at this site)....?

Please visit: https://ebird.org/barchart?r=L1167099&yr=all&m=

*APRIL 1 again:*

The Las Gallinas Wildlife Ponds continue to host:

1 female and 1 male bonded *BLUE-WINGED TEAL* in the "sludge ponds" (three rectangular holding ponds within a football field-sized
fenced area immediately south of the solar panel field (that is immediately east of Pond #2).

Interesting (perhaps....only to littl' ol' me) that the nine individuals of this species present in the sludge ponds ~two weeks ago dropped to six last week and, as mentioned above, is now reduced to two. As non-breeders at this site, these two will soon ALSO likely leave. (i.e., This species' abundance presence drops a level in the next week or two at this site, per eBird records for Las Gallinas.)

The sludge ponds also hosted 25 remaining *NORTHERN SHOVELER,* which does not typically nest here or in the North Bay Birds (NBB)
region (N. E. CA is the closest typical annual nesting region for this common duck species.) (Abundance numbers for this species sometimes remain robust through May and June.)

Three *FORSTER'S TERN* foraged at Pond #1 & #2 April 1....a precipitous drop from the 69 I noticed at Pond #2 a few weeks ago.

Twenty-four (24) *(AMERICAN) GREEN-WINGED TEAL* were in the Miller Creek slough next to the parking lot....This species' numbers here drop precipitously by May, per eBird records.

Nine remaining *BUFFLEHEAD* were present at Pond #1 (nearest pond to the parking lot)....which is 12 fewer than a week ago. This species can linger in good numbers at this site through April and, even, into May.

Safe travels to you, Buffleheads...Hope you find a vacancy sign at cavity near you after traveling away from Las Gallinas.

Interested in noting presence-absence and seasonality of Las Gallinas bird species I mention above and others noted there?

Please see:
https://ebird.org/barchart?r=L207664&yr=all&m=

On a sad note, one annual *COMMON RAVEN nesting site* is again active...with new sticks added as a restoration project in the last few days. This rapacious songbird order member reduces populations of several songbird species at this site....so its ongoing infusion into the North Bay region and elsewhere is concerning.

*MARCH 31:*

3 Chaetura genus members (Probably *VAUX'S SWIFT* individuals) were seen in my neighborhood (Pacheco Valle, N. Novato)
foraging overhead.

MARCH 22:

A few *CLIFF SWALLOW* individuals were seen near Pond #1....with a couple seen near or under the concrete bridge adjacent to the parking lot....(BUT not yet starting nor done with the annual mud nests this species builds under the bridge).

Las Gallinas hosted a somewhat tardy, malingering *SHARP-SHINNED HAWK* that I watched flee from the central portion/southern border of Pond #1 toward the parking lot.

Two *GREAT-TAILED GRACKLE* were together on the north side of Pond #2. I captured photos that I still need to upload.

During my Moffitt's Canada Goose survey here on 3/22, I noticed one *GREEN HERON* on the southern-most island within Pond #1 (the one with the Palm Tree upon it that is easy to see)....Hmmm...I will check back to see if this non-colonial/non-rookery nester uses the Acacia longifolia shrubs to nest on this small island.

*(SINCE) EARLY MARCH:

* One nesting *RED-SHOULDERED* hawk pair in its traditional, annual nesting area in my Pacheco Valle neighborhood.

*LASTLY:

* Have I heard or seen LEAST BITTERN at Pond #1 in 2024? No. Have you? -- given its likely annual nesting presence at this location since 2014.

It's been detected at Pond #1 every month of the year, EXCEPT for January, per eBird records, per: https://ebird.org/barchart?r=L207664&yr=all&m=

I again listened and watched yesterday for a good spell at this location.

Nothing..... except a whinny-calling *SORA* that I first noticed walking at the base of a Common Cattail grove near where the obvious, billboard-sized physique of two non-native, invasive *MUTE SWAN* controlled a large patch of Common Cattail within Pond #1's eastern edge.

Thanks for reading my long treatise.

Now to Bolinas-Fairfax Rd. in search of hearing Hermit and Black-throated Gray Warbler in the Douglas Fir trees. past the golf course and down the hill toward Bolinas.

Regards, Daniel Edelstein
Novato, CA

Back to top
Date: 4/1/24 12:58 pm
From: richard cimino <yellowbilledtours...>
Subject: Re: [northbaybirds] Cliff Swallows plus
A week ago we started receiving Cliff Swallows into our neighborhood.

The arrival started with three individuals.

This morning there are 10 investigating their typical nesting sights under the eves of the homes along Corte Madera Creek.

We also have what appears to be a single Green Heron, flying long the edges of Corte Madera Creek.

On the rocks in Niven Park Mud Flats (an ebird location) there have been Black-bellied Plovers starting to morph into their breeding plumage.

Rich Cimino

Larkspur

Date: 4/1/24 12:09 pm
From: Dede Sabbag via groups.io <dede.sabbag...>

Back to top
Date: 4/1/24 11:56 am
From: Cynthia Boyer <byerbird...>

Date: 3/30/24 9:37 pm
From: Rishab Ghosh <rishab.ghosh...>
Subject: Re: [northbaybirds] GLGull on Gull Rock
Hi,

Thanks for the tip! Would appreciate more details on the location. Is
Cronkite Beach referring to Rodeo Beach by fort Cronkhite in Marin County?

Thanks
Rishab Ghosh

On Sat, Mar 30, 2024 at 14:40 jimwhitebbs <jimwhitebbs...> wrote:

> Hi birders, Willam Legge found a Glaucous Gull on Cronkite Beach dining on
> By the Wind Sailors. I’m pretty sure that I refound it on the N/W crest of
> Gull Rock from the S end of the beach. There might be a closer view from
> the higher land out around the YWCA retreat/ Light house road. The large
> all white gull was sleeping like there was abundant food near bye.
>
> Jim White

Back to top

Date: 3/26/24 9:12 pm
From: Daniel Edelstein <danieledelstein...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Grasshopper Sparrow: Crane Creek Regional Park, Rohnert Park, Sonoma Co.
Hello:

1 GRASSHOPPER SPARROW seen today, 3/26/24 at Crane Creek Regional Park, Rohnert Park, Sonoma Co.

Details from my eBird checklist account:

Seen briefly in suitable habitat (non-native grassland that has NOT yet been cut and provides low-growth cover). Typical, classic feature: white eye-ring, large bill, flat head...and the wing-beat pattern (stuttering, quick wingbeats) expressed in between repeated, short-distance flight treks (before hiding until flushed).

Observed near the frisbee golf station #1, approx., 300' west of the main parking lot (.1 to .15 mile west of the main road from the entrance area).

Did not sing.

This species is known to occur at this area and has been documented here in the past.

Sorry, no photo possible; fleeting glimpses...and never perched for too long above its grass shelter.

*

Best of the rest:

1 calling "kack-kack-kack" of a COOPER'S HAWK
approximately 250' N.-N.E. of the main parking lot.

Regards,

Daniel Edelstein
Novato, CA

Back to top
Date: 3/26/24 7:21 pm
From: Matt Lau <mjaylau707...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Point Reyes Snowy Plover Nesting Season 2024
Hi birders,

The Point Reyes NS snowy plover nesting season is here! Our team has been
observing pairs and plenty of scrapes at all the usual sites, including
Abbotts Lagoon.

This year, we are keeping part of the southwest lower lagoon shoreline open
to birders and visitors all season long (please see attached photo;
encircled red area is the annual plover closure). However, this area will
only be accessible going off-trail along the east side of the lower lagoon
and around the south end (light green path). *This area will not be
accessible via walking around the lagoon mouth and walking south along the
western lower lagoon shoreline; m*ost of the southwest lagoon shoreline
will still be closed during the nesting season (March-end of August) to
reduce disturbance on incubating adults and broods.

In 2023, we had a good number of plovers nesting close to the lower lagoon
shoreline and the area was also used by several broods (i.e., males with
chicks). Because of their success in that area, we expect them to return
again this year.

We are continuing to erect symbolic fencing in the Abbotts Lagoon area and
we’re in need of help! If you’re interested in carrying fencing material
and/or setting up fencing, please contact me via email (<matt_lau...>).
It’s a great chance to see some nesty snowy plovers.

Lastly, we have started a Snowy Plover Volunteer Monitoring Program this
year! If you have prior experience with data collection and/or field work
with shorebirds and are interested in contributing your time to
conservation efforts, please let me know. Training will be required.

If there’s any questions regarding the annual closure at Abbotts Lagoon or
anything snowy plover related, feel free to reach out.

Thanks everyone and happy spring birding,

Matt
*Matt Lau *(he/him)
(e) <mjaylau707...> <mjaylau707...>
(c) 707-478-6264