northbaybirds
Received From Subject
7/3/20 5:12 pm Joshua Snead <sneadspeed...> Re: [northbaybirds] Gray Catbird Bodega Bay Owl Canyon
7/3/20 4:01 pm tony briggs <tony.briggs108...> Re: [northbaybirds] Gray Catbird Bodega Bay Owl Canyon
7/3/20 3:48 pm Mark Stephenson via groups.io <markstephenson4106=<yahoo.com...> [northbaybirds] Gray Catbird Bodega Bay Owl Canyon
7/2/20 12:43 pm Len Blumin <Len.blumin...> [northbaybirds] Bodega Bay and Harbor - Pelicans
7/2/20 1:51 am Ruth Rudesill <ruthier...> [northbaybirds] Common Nighthawk Sonoma Co
7/1/20 5:46 pm corvus8x via groups.io <corvus8x=<yahoo.com...> [northbaybirds] Bodega Bay and belated Sebastopol report
6/30/20 5:52 pm Derek Lecy via groups.io <dlecy=<yahoo.com...> [northbaybirds] Semipalmated Sandpiper, Valley Ford Wetlands - MRN County
6/30/20 5:21 pm <Lucascorneliussen04...> [northbaybirds] King Ridge Road Closure - June 30
6/28/20 6:03 pm Zack Mikalonis <z.mikalon...> Re: [northbaybirds] Possible Magnolia or Hooded warbler in west county - not chaseable
6/28/20 5:21 pm Alvaro Jaramillo <chucao...> Re: [northbaybirds] Possible Magnolia or Hooded warbler in west county - not chaseable
6/28/20 4:39 pm Aaron Maizlish <amm.birdlists...> Re: [northbaybirds] Possible Magnolia or Hooded warbler in west county - not chaseable
6/28/20 4:36 pm Logan Kahle <logan...> Re: [northbaybirds] Possible Magnolia or Hooded warbler in west county - not chaseable
6/28/20 4:29 pm Zack Mikalonis <z.mikalon...> [northbaybirds] Possible Magnolia or Hooded warbler in west county - not chaseable
6/27/20 6:56 pm kkh195 <kkh195...> [northbaybirds] Correction
6/27/20 3:40 pm kkh195 <kkh195...> [northbaybirds] Returning Northern Parula
6/25/20 4:18 pm <Lucascorneliussen04...> [northbaybirds] Least Tern, McNears Beach, MRN CO.
6/25/20 10:53 am Derek Lecy via groups.io <dlecy=<yahoo.com...> [northbaybirds] Hooded Warbler - Muir Beach, MRN County
6/23/20 12:32 pm ceruleanswift via groups.io <ceruleanswift=<yahoo.com...> [northbaybirds] MacGillivray's Warbler, Hooded Oriole, Hermit Thrush - local interest Point Reyes
6/21/20 4:46 pm Mike Carozza <mike.carozza...> [northbaybirds] Swainson’s Hawk
6/21/20 3:03 pm Mike Carozza <mike.carozza...> [northbaybirds] Swainsons Flying West over Town of Sonoma
6/20/20 4:23 pm NANCY AND EUGENE HUNN <enhunn323...> [northbaybirds] Horned puffin bodega head
6/17/20 9:05 pm Cynthia Boyer <byerbird...> Re: [northbaybirds] Honey Bee swarm overwhelming my 3 nectar feeders
6/17/20 7:17 pm Richard Ackley <rackley94901...> Re: [northbaybirds] Honey Bee swarm overwhelming my 3 nectar feeders
6/17/20 7:14 pm Katie Hawk <kathleen.clas...> Re: [northbaybirds] Honey Bee swarm overwhelming my 3 nectar feeders
6/17/20 6:32 pm Cynthia Boyer <byerbird...> [northbaybirds] Honey Bee swarm overwhelming my 3 nectar feeders
6/13/20 4:16 pm Priscilla Johnstone <mtymeg...> Re: [northbaybirds] 6-12-2020 5pm _ Crazy..... but yes. Rough-legged Hawk
6/13/20 12:21 pm L. Broderick. WestCountyHawkWatch <northcoastraptor...> [northbaybirds] 6-12-2020 5pm _ Crazy..... but yes. Rough-legged Hawk
6/13/20 11:41 am <everettclark...> <everettclark...> [northbaybirds] Continuing Franklin's Gull at Drake's Beach, PRNS (6/13/20)
6/12/20 8:34 pm kkh195 <kkh195...> [northbaybirds] Northern parula
6/12/20 10:37 am David DeSante <ddesante...> [northbaybirds] Franklin's Gull at Drakes Beach
6/11/20 2:44 pm NANCY AND EUGENE HUNN <enhunn323...> [northbaybirds] chat near Delta Pond on the Sonoma Creek trail west from Willowside Roa
6/11/20 2:03 pm tony briggs <tony.briggs108...> [northbaybirds] Continuing Franklin's Gull at Drake's Beach
6/8/20 10:21 am Ryan DiGaudio <rdigaudio...> [northbaybirds] Hooded Warbler in Point Reyes National Seashore
6/7/20 7:43 am Ryan DiGaudio <rdigaudio...> Re: [northbaybirds] Yellow-throated Vireo at Whitehouse Pools
6/6/20 5:24 pm Mark Stephenson via groups.io <markstephenson4106=<yahoo.com...> [northbaybirds] Yellow-throated Vireo at Whitehouse Pools
6/5/20 5:01 pm judisierra via groups.io <judisierra=<yahoo.com...> Re: [northbaybirds] Point Reyes Parking
6/5/20 12:59 pm auntiestrophe via groups.io <auntiestrophe=<yahoo.com...> [northbaybirds] Hooded Oriole, Point Reyes Station, 6/5/20

Back to top
Date: 7/3/20 5:12 pm
From: Joshua Snead <sneadspeed...>
Subject: Re: [northbaybirds] Gray Catbird Bodega Bay Owl Canyon
I went to Owl Canyon this afternoon around 3:30 and also mostly heard and had brief looks at the catbird as well. It was just below the sandy cliffs at the top- mewing loudly before it flew into view.

Good birding!

Josh Snead

Back to top
Date: 7/3/20 4:01 pm
From: tony briggs <tony.briggs108...>
After 21/2 hours, hearing the bird call numerous times, we finally got
great looks at the Gray Catbird at the top of the canyon where Mark & Lucas
found it this morning.

Bird on!
Tony Briggs

Back to top
Date: 7/3/20 3:48 pm
From: Mark Stephenson via groups.io <markstephenson4106=<yahoo.com...>
Hi All, This morning Lucas and I found a Gray Catbird at the top of the canyon. It has been pretty cooperative for a catbird and we saw it again at noon with Ethan Monk And Tony Briggs. It mewed a few times and was giving glimpses in the willows. Happy BirdingMark&Lucas Stephenson

Back to top
Date: 7/2/20 12:43 pm
From: Len Blumin <Len.blumin...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Bodega Bay and Harbor - Pelicans
Like Scott, we visited Bodega Bay and Harbor on July 1. Started at the
Rich Stallcup Platform, across from the Cypress Lot at Doran Beach. Tide
was low at 10:30 am, and a good array of shorebirds were visible, including
30 Willets, 12 Whimbrels, 7 Marbled Godwits, and 25 Western Sandpipers.
Turned to scan the harbor and looked back at sand bar roost and all the
shorebirds had departed!

Viewing from the Jetty lot we counted over 250 Brown Pelicans, mostly
subadults, scores of Heerman's Gulls, and a single Pacific Loon at the
mouth of the channel. Gulls in small numbers, included mostlyWestern Gulls.
No other loons seen in the Bay or later in the Harbor. Leaving Doran we
stopped at the last parking aarea (horse trailer lot) and checked out a
flock of about 30 black-capped terns. We were hoping for the last of the 3
amigos but they all these appeared to be Casprian Terns, based on the thick
red bills. No Elegant Terns for us this day.

Moved on to check the Harbor, and were disappointed at the relative lack of
birds. About 30 American White Pelicans were at Gaffmey Point, their
typical roost spot, but no other birds there. Brief scans of the rest of
the harbor were unrewarding. Perhaps many birds were off feeding in areas
of recent upwelling. Bodega Head was bustling with black birds. The cliff
face to the left hosted a good number of Pelagic Cormorants, with chicks on
some "nests". Also there a pair of Pigeon Guillemots found a nook spot for
a nest but were hassled by a Raven and flushed. Out front on the large rock
outcrop were Brant's Cormorants galore, including many large chicks
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/lenblumin/50069051618/in/dateposted-public/>.
About 8 of the chicks were clusted like a creche
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/lenblumin/50069864607/in/photostream/>!
There were only a few Western Gulls present and no Western Gull chicks. A
pair of Black Oystercatchers were on the outcrop to the right. Sea watch
scan yielded nothing of note, to our dismay.

Cheers,
Len Blumin
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lenblumin/

Back to top
Date: 7/2/20 1:51 am
From: Ruth Rudesill <ruthier...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Common Nighthawk Sonoma Co
This evening I saw one Common Nighthawk flying near the Pygmy Forest at
Salt Point State Park in northern Sonoma County. I was so happy as I was
unable to locate them there the last two years.

Parked in the Day Use area which was open (as well as the bathrooms.)
The campgrounds and several trails are closed. Due to an injury did not
hike up to the Pygmy Forest but slowly took the road up the hill towards
it. At about 9 pm got into a clearing and saw the nighthawk turning in
the sky, a distance away. It was silent (feeding?) Hiked a farther
(probably a half mile from parking lot.) Thought I heard calls a long
distance away but will admit while no wind, the ocean noise was still
loud. I know there a meadow area beyond the forest they feed at.

Also heard there was Nor Pygmy-owl and W Screech-owls and Poorwills
calling nearby on Skaggs Springs Road.

Good Birding and Stay safe,

Ruthie Rudesill

Kenwood CA

Back to top
Date: 7/1/20 5:46 pm
From: corvus8x via groups.io <corvus8x=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Bodega Bay and belated Sebastopol report
Today a 7/1/2020, at Bodega Head there was a steady northbound  stream of  Brown Pelicans with most being hatch year  .  Not surprising were 3 (adult) Heerman's Gulls in the mix . Further out in the ocean were 2 feeding Elegant Terns .In the bay I noticed new arrivals  of shorebirds in bright plumage. Most peeps were Western Sandpipers  some Least Sandpipers as well . Though Willits ,Marbled Godwits and Whimbrels have been here in small numbers all spring , it seems there is a new pulse of birds returning.  There were also 4 summering  Black Brant and a beautiful Clark's Grebe  . I was surprised to hear a calling Barred Owl at  yes , you guessed it; Owl Canyon. It sounded like it was calling in the thick willows to the North of the actual canyon  . And lastly a belated report from yesterday - At the Laguna de Santa Rosa preserve , the Cinnamon Teal have successfully raised at least 3 duckings which were trailing mom closely.  Best , Scott Carey, Graton, Ca.

Back to top
Date: 6/30/20 5:52 pm
From: Derek Lecy via groups.io <dlecy=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Semipalmated Sandpiper, Valley Ford Wetlands - MRN County
Hi All,

Earlier today there was a strong candidate for Semipalmated Sandpiper at Valley Ford Wetlands at the northern terminus of Marin County, near the border with Sonoma County (still well within MRN). It was seen with a small flock of Western Sandpipers, and was still present when I left.

eBird checklist with many photos and gps coordinates below. I don't have tons of experience with SESA, so feedback is of course, welcome. Additionally, thanks so much to those of you who have already weighed in.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S70998574

Cheers,

Derek Lecy
San Rafael, CA

Back to top
Date: 6/30/20 5:21 pm
From: <Lucascorneliussen04...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] King Ridge Road Closure - June 30
Hi All

This morning Daniel Edelstien and I wanted to drive up King Ridge Road in search of Sooty Grouse and other Northwest Sonoma specialties, only to find the road was entirely closed due to construction. The construction workers said it will reopen July 17th, however, who knows if that timeline will be accurate with COVID-19 around. Fortunately, Daniel and I opted to go to Mendocino County instead and it ended up working out fine. Just thought I should let everyone know so they don’t make the same mistake we made.

Good Birding

Lucas Corneliussen

Back to top
Date: 6/28/20 6:03 pm
From: Zack Mikalonis <z.mikalon...>
Subject: Re: [northbaybirds] Possible Magnolia or Hooded warbler in west county - not chaseable
Thanks for the input everyone!

Like I said I have not heard it since that morning. The property is
directly uphill from the corner of Furlong road and bodega highway. So if
anyone is checking on that parula at Montgomery rd it could be worth
checking the creek bridge at Furlong as well.

Now that I know what to listen for I will report the bird promptly if I
detect it again.

Zack Mikalonis
Sebastopol

Back to top
Date: 6/28/20 5:21 pm
From: Alvaro Jaramillo <chucao...>
Yes, Hooded Warbler. This is a Type B song, it does not downslur like the classic type A songs.

Alvaro Jaramillo

<mailto:<alvaro...> <alvaro...>

www.alvarosadventures.com

Date: 6/28/20 4:39 pm
From: Aaron Maizlish <amm.birdlists...>
Zack,

To my ears this is a classic Hooded Warbler. The first two recordings being its basic song, and the third being a variant which coincidentally I had never heard previously but recorded at Lake Merced in San Francisco last month. Cool bird.

Aaron Maizlish
> On Jun 28, 2020, at 4:29 PM, Zack Mikalonis <z.mikalon...> wrote:
>

> Hi All,
>
> I just moved back up to Sebastopol and joined North Bay Birds. This isn't chasable (June 21st on private property), but I thought I'd send word out that a possible Magnolia or Hooded warbler moved through west county last week. I welcome any comments or thoughts on the identification, feel free to email me. The bird was never seen, but multiple recordings were made showing two variations in the song. I have not heard any songs like this in the week following this observation.
>
> The ebird checklist is here with the sound recordings
> https://ebird.org/checklist/S70920439
>
> Good birding,
> Zack Mikalonis
> Sebastopol

Back to top
Date: 6/28/20 4:36 pm
From: Logan Kahle <logan...>
Hi Zack,

Sounds good for hooded. A little more forceful and less “meandering” than maggie.

Could stick for a bit given the date. Great find!

Logan
> On Jun 28, 2020, at 4:29 PM, Zack Mikalonis <z.mikalon...> wrote:
>

> Hi All,
>
> I just moved back up to Sebastopol and joined North Bay Birds. This isn't chasable (June 21st on private property), but I thought I'd send word out that a possible Magnolia or Hooded warbler moved through west county last week. I welcome any comments or thoughts on the identification, feel free to email me. The bird was never seen, but multiple recordings were made showing two variations in the song. I have not heard any songs like this in the week following this observation.
>
> The ebird checklist is here with the sound recordings
> https://ebird.org/checklist/S70920439
>
> Good birding,
> Zack Mikalonis
> Sebastopol

Back to top

Date: 6/27/20 6:56 pm
From: kkh195 <kkh195...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Correction
The Northern Parula was first seen on 06.12.2020 not 07.12.2020, sorry for
the confusion.
The Northern Parula was first seen on 06.12.2020 not 07.12.2020. Sorry for
the confusion.
Kirk
KirkThe Northern Parula was first seen on 06.12.2020 not 07.12.2020, sorry
for the confusion.

Kirk

Back to top
Date: 6/27/20 3:40 pm
From: kkh195 <kkh195...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Returning Northern Parula
Adult male Northern Parula at our suet feeder today. Originally observed
07.12.20

Kirk Hopkin
West Sebastopol

Back to top
Date: 6/25/20 4:18 pm
From: <Lucascorneliussen04...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Least Tern, McNears Beach, MRN CO.
Hi All

At about 3:10 PM, I saw what appeared to be an adult Least Tern headed north towards China Camp State Park. It originally caught my eye as it was absolutely TINY and was flying very erratically, I immediately thought to myself “that’s a LEAST TERN!” I then saw it dive once before it continued north. It could possibly be seen from Black Point in Novato or obviously China Camp.

Good Birding!

Lucas Corneliussen

Back to top
Date: 6/25/20 10:53 am
From: Derek Lecy via groups.io <dlecy=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Hooded Warbler - Muir Beach, MRN County
Hi All,

This morning there was a male Hooded Warbler singing frequently from the riparian area at the corner of Frank Valley Rd. and Hwy 1 (Shoreline Hwy). The bird favored the dense area SW of Frank Valley Rd. opposite the road from the start to the Redwood Creek Trail, and was easily heard from the dirt pullout right off of the road. Approximate gps coordinates are here ( 37.867130, -122.577499). I heard and saw the bird off and on from about 7:00 am until leaving at 8:30 am. A. Merritt joined me halfway through and the bird was still there when we left. However, when I went back a little while later there were three large trucks parked right where the bird was being heard and the beginning of survey work appeared to be starting at that location. Additionally, traffic can be quite heavy here, but I hope others are still able to hear/view the bird.

Photos and audio will be uploaded to eBird shortly.

Cheers,

Derek Lecy
San Rafael, CA

Back to top
Date: 6/23/20 12:32 pm
From: ceruleanswift via groups.io <ceruleanswift=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] MacGillivray's Warbler, Hooded Oriole, Hermit Thrush - local interest Point Reyes
Yesterday David Loeb and I saw and heard a male MacGillivray's Warbler while hiking south from the hostel in Point Reyes National Seashore.  We found the bird on the Laguna Trail a couple of hundred yards north of the intersection with the Fire Lane Trail.  The bird was in tall, dense shrubs(near the coast) which is the preferred habitat for this uncommon nesting species in Marin.  I also heard a HERMIT THRUSH singing near the top of the Limantour Road.  And I saw a male HOODED ORIOLE in Point Reyes Station.  It was in a cedar tree on 3rd Street across the street from the EAC office.  As usual several PURPLE MARTINS are flying above the Inverness Park Market and other nearby locations.- David Wimpfheimer

Back to top
Date: 6/21/20 4:46 pm
From: Mike Carozza <mike.carozza...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Swainson’s Hawk
Long slender buteo, compared to red tailed. Showed a pointier wing. No
colors or tail bands really stood out to my naked eye so maybe juvenile.
Gull-like shape compared to red tailed.

Additionally, recently vocal female and male American Kestrel in the
Hanzell vineyard area mobbing local coopers, sharp-shinned and
red-shouldered hawks.

Not much else... It’s HOT!

On Sun, Jun 21, 2020 at 3:03 PM Mike Carozza via groups.io <mike.carozza=
<gmail.com...> wrote:

> 2:55 pm Swainsons moving west then turned south. flew low into maxwell
> farms area
> --
> Mike Carozza
> 914-475-9355
>

> --
Mike Carozza
914-475-9355

Back to top

Date: 6/20/20 4:23 pm
From: NANCY AND EUGENE HUNN <enhunn323...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Horned puffin bodega head
NiBBers,

There was an adult Horned Puffin about 100 yards offshore from Bodega Head as of 15 minutes ago. Photos to follow. I haven't been able to relocate it since. It's a bit crowded out here now but not impossibly so. I assume you all know where Bodega Head is.

Gene Hunn
Petaluma

Sent from Xfinity Connect Application

Back to top
Date: 6/17/20 9:05 pm
From: Cynthia Boyer <byerbird...>
Subject: Re: [northbaybirds] Honey Bee swarm overwhelming my 3 nectar feeders
Thank you for your response. My neighbor's yard has an abundance of flowering plants. Bees are drawn to these plants. Perhaps, not enough of the flowers provide nectar. There is honeysuckle, and agapanthus, sage plants, etc. etc.

> On Jun 17, 2020, at 7:17 PM, Richard Ackley <rackley94901...> wrote:
>

> I've had the same issue lately. I think it might have something to do with blooming cycles. May = abundance of blooming ornamentals. First part of June = perhaps less blooming ornamentals. I know that my CA Poppies are now going to seed and the other flowering natives are done. So they're probably looking for nectar sources until the next bloom flush.
>
> Richard Ackley
> San Rafael
>
>> On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 6:32 PM Cynthia Boyer <byerbird...> wrote:
>> I finally ended up taking all 3 inside. Bee guards were useless...bees covered the guards and Hummingbirds stayed away. Where there were no guards, bees went inside the bottle - the hourglass shaped bottle with 4 fake flowers - (I think they were pushed in by bees behind them) and drowned. The type of feeder I have with small holes, 7 ports still had bees trying to get at the nectar.
>>
>> Anyone else experience this sort of thing? I did have a swarm last April but it was manageable. That swarm moved on after about a week. I don't begrudge the bees and in fact, figure they are desperate or starving. Just wonder if this huge swarm came because their nest was destroyed....perhaps a tree was cut down or bee box damaged.
>>
>> Any ideas? I live in Sonoma
>>

> --
> Best regards,
>
> Richard Ackley
> <rackley94901...>
> 415.717.5853

Back to top
Date: 6/17/20 7:17 pm
From: Richard Ackley <rackley94901...>

--
Best regards,

Richard Ackley
<rackley94901...>
415.717.5853

Back to top
Date: 6/17/20 7:14 pm
From: Katie Hawk <kathleen.clas...>
Yes! I’m in Petaluma. It started a couple of weeks ago. I have a lot of feeders. 6 very small ones and 5 large ones. I took the big ones inside, cleaned them and kept the them in for the night. I have Orioles that come everyday to feed too so it was hard to watch them fly in all confused. The next day I put all 5 feeders on the ledge in the front deck. (They were all in the backyard before). Things were okay for a couple of days so the next day I put one large feeder back in the backyard. By this point the bees discovered the feeders in the front but each day I continued take one away and put it in the backyard. I left one large feeder in the front and they seem to stick to this one. The bees stayed in the front. Now that one feeder in the front is full of bees but they are out of the backyard. For now.
> On Jun 17, 2020, at 6:32 PM, Cynthia Boyer <byerbird...> wrote:
>
> I finally ended up taking all 3 inside. Bee guards were useless...bees covered the guards and Hummingbirds stayed away. Where there were no guards, bees went inside the bottle - the hourglass shaped bottle with 4 fake flowers - (I think they were pushed in by bees behind them) and drowned. The type of feeder I have with small holes, 7 ports still had bees trying to get at the nectar.
>
> Anyone else experience this sort of thing? I did have a swarm last April but it was manageable. That swarm moved on after about a week. I don't begrudge the bees and in fact, figure they are desperate or starving. Just wonder if this huge swarm came because their nest was destroyed....perhaps a tree was cut down or bee box damaged.
>
> Any ideas? I live in Sonoma

Back to top

Date: 6/13/20 4:16 pm
From: Priscilla Johnstone <mtymeg...>
Subject: Re: [northbaybirds] 6-12-2020 5pm _ Crazy..... but yes. Rough-legged Hawk
Thank you for posting, Larry!
> [...]
>
> There were lots of Gulls, a couple Peregrines [one fledgling chasing adult] and a couple Osprey ...
> earlier along hwy 1, we had a Coopers hawk, a Northern Harrier, a Red-shouldered Hawk and a couple Red-tailed Hawks...
>
> 6/12/2020, About 5:20 pm a buteo form flew over us with white under wing linings, big bold strong carpal blocks, a light colored head, over all white tail and tail base, with dark sub-terminal band.... the wing profile form of this buteo was not the spread out soar, glide as in extended wing profile, but more adjusted for flying headlong into the wind.... wasn't so much tucked in wing profile but modified wing loading for the way it was flying north into westerly winds...more surface area front to back of wing then tip to tip, common trait for Buteo's into wind....
>
> I understand the rarity of this and was not even going to post due to my past experiences here with certain objective and over-riding individuals... but I felt it my duty to bring to light what just happened. I know it's way out of season, I know it's absurdly impossible, but it is what it is... nature is never perfect and stuff happens, what is perfect anyway?
>
> My main reason for posting is:
>
> 1. Keep your eyes open around that area for Rough-legged Hawk, especially those out there monitoring and photographing the Peregrine Fledglings...
>
> 2. double and triple check your gulls and Osprey, worth a second and third look, I had to triple check this RLHA, to conform it was nothing but a buteo
>
> 3. I need a historical standpoint with the latest Rough-legged Hawk seen in our region? I know we have seen plenty deep into March, have we ever seen any into April? May?
>
> 4. The shear chance to put it out there and maybe, maybe the hawk is still in the region and someone else can document and even possibly photograph.
>
> I know a couple of leading Rough-legged Hawk researchers and I am following up with them... If I have any information on the fact and possibility of any Rough-legged Hawk could still be in the lower 48 this time of year I will...
>
> Baffled... but I am real good at ID'ing RLHA's just saw 200 of them in the Lower Klamath this past March, and dozens in the north and east bay over this last winter. This past over-wintering season we did have a higher then normal amount of them in the bay area and outlying regions... It's been an area of special study of mine for over 25 years, solid on my Rough-legged research.
>
> Larry Broderick
> 707-791-0335
> <northcoastraptor...>
> West County Hawkwatch
> Jenner Area Bald Eagle Study Group
> Jenner Headlands Raptor Migration Project

Back to top
Date: 6/13/20 12:21 pm
From: L. Broderick. WestCountyHawkWatch <northcoastraptor...>
[...]

<northcoastraptor...> ( <northcoastraptor...> )

Date: 6/13/20 11:41 am
From: <everettclark...> <everettclark...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Continuing Franklin's Gull at Drake's Beach, PRNS (6/13/20)
The Franklin's Gull reported earlier this week by S. Hampton continues at Drake's Beach.  It was with a mixed gull flock about 300 yards east of the visitor center at 6:15 a.m.  It then wandered away from the flock and flew westward before landing at the surfline close to the parking area.  When I left at 7:00 it was floating on the bay by itself about 50 yards offshore.

Everett Clark
Tiburon

Back to top
Date: 6/12/20 8:34 pm
From: kkh195 <kkh195...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Northern parula
At 7:45 this evening we had a male Northern parula on our suet feeder

Kirk Hopkin
West Sebastopol

Back to top
Date: 6/12/20 10:37 am
From: David DeSante <ddesante...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Franklin's Gull at Drakes Beach
Hi folks,

I found the Franklin's Gull this morning about 6 am about 500 meters up
the beach to the right (toward the Fish Docks) with a flock of large
gulls.  About 6:20, however, it flew out over Drakes Bay and circled
higher and higher until I lost sight of it. It may have left to continue
its migration. There also was a singing 2Y male American Redstart in the
willows near the monument, and another interesting-sounding singing
warbler that I did not see, possibly a Northern Parula?

Dave DeSante

Back to top
Date: 6/11/20 2:44 pm
From: NANCY AND EUGENE HUNN <enhunn323...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] chat near Delta Pond on the Sonoma Creek trail west from Willowside Roa
NiBBers,

Brian Webb reported a singing Yellow-breasted Chat this morning at a traditional site west from Willowside Rd. just east of Delta Pond. I responded to Brian's text message and heard it ca. 1:20 PM while still 100 yards away on the southside trail. Nancy and I got one nice clear view of it in a willow above the creek where a foot path drops to the creek a bit further east from Delta Pod. The chat moves back and forth across the creek and might be seen with luck from here or from the "Miwok Trail" along the north bank. It has apparently not been seen nor heard here since two early reports two months ago. Maybe a lonesome bachelor bird.

Willowside Rd. is west of Santa Rosa and east of Sebastopol, accessible from Mann Rd. on the south or Guerneville Rd. on the north. Sonoma County.

Gene Hunn
Petaluma

Back to top
Date: 6/11/20 2:03 pm
From: tony briggs <tony.briggs108...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Continuing Franklin's Gull at Drake's Beach
The Franklin's Gull found yesterday at Drake's Beach in Pt. Reyes National
Seashore by Steve Hampton was still there at 700AM today, in a small
gull-flock right at the Drake's Beach parking lot.

Good luck!
Tony Briggs

Back to top
Date: 6/8/20 10:21 am
From: Ryan DiGaudio <rdigaudio...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Hooded Warbler in Point Reyes National Seashore
Hi Birders,

While doing songbird surveys early this morning for Point Blue (as part of
a long term monitoring program in partnership with the Park), I happened
upon a singing male HOODED WARBLER. The bird was located along Sir Francis
Drake Blvd, ~10-20m west of the intersection with the Estero Trail Rd
turnoff (not sure if that's the exact name of the road, but it's the first
paved road on the left after passing Mount Vision Rd if you're headed
towards the point). There was a tractor and a port-a-potty at the
intersection this morning, related to the recent road construction in the
area. There wasn't any construction activity at this location this morning,
but that might change later in the day. This link should mark the spot:
https://goo.gl/maps/kAGCZ3dWo4wWnKMK8

I first heard it singing at about 6:00 a.m. while walking past to get to
the start of the survey transect, which was further east along Sir Francis
Drake. At the time I noted it was an unfamiliar song, thinking it might be
a Hooded Warbler and wanting to look for it then, but knew I would be
returning to that spot soon after the survey started. So about 15 minutes
later I returned to the spot, pished once, and a male Hooded Warbler
promptly flew out of the willow thicket and perched in full view at close
range momentarily, then dove back into the willows. The bird carried on
with intermittent singing while I carried on with the rest of the survey
transect westward along Sir Francis Drake. I returned again to the location
at about 7:30 but the bird had stopped singing, or at least I didn't hear
it in the few minutes I was stopped.

And for what it's worth, later this morning I looked for the reported
Yellow-throated Vireo at White House Pool, to no avail. Hopefully the other
birders arriving as I left had some luck.

Good birding,
Ryan DiGaudio
Inverness, CA

Back to top
Date: 6/7/20 7:43 am
From: Ryan DiGaudio <rdigaudio...>
Subject: Re: [northbaybirds] Yellow-throated Vireo at Whitehouse Pools
Great find! I've never seen a Yellow-throated Vireo in the West (and only
ever a few out east).

Just simply posting this an an FYI to birders not from this area who may
chase after the vireo at Whiehouse Pool today: there is a community
organized march happening today at 1 p.m., beginning in Inverness Park and
heading to Point Reyes Station along Sir Francis Drake (i.e. right past
Whitehouse Pool). Depending on how many people show up for the march, the
Whitehouse Pool parking lot may fill up quickly.
http://www.thewestmarinfeed.com/entry.php?id=3386

Good luck, and good birding,
Ryan DiGaudio
Inverness, CA

On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 5:24 PM Mark Stephenson via groups.io
<markstephenson4106=<yahoo.com...> wrote:

> This morning as I was walking across the bridge just to the right of the
> main trail to the waterway, headed West back towards Pt Reyes Station, a
> YTVI flew into the willows as I looked North down into the marshy area. It
> had a very yellow throat, with Yellow spectacles, and yellowish head and
> white wing-bars. Although seen only briefly it was clearly a
> Yellow-throated Vireo. I returned later in the day with Lucas and we had
> another brief look before it dove into the willows, but not long enough to
> attempt a photo. Shortly after we heard a vireo scold that was likely the
> same bird.
> Happy Birding,
> Mark and Lucas Stephenson
>

> <https://overview.mail.yahoo.com/?.src=iOS>

Back to top
Date: 6/6/20 5:24 pm
From: Mark Stephenson via groups.io <markstephenson4106=<yahoo.com...>

Date: 6/5/20 5:01 pm
From: judisierra via groups.io <judisierra=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: Re: [northbaybirds] Point Reyes Parking
FYI- Notice all access prohibitied
Sir Francis Drake Boulevard west of its junction with Chimney Rock Road is closed to all traffic (i.e., motor vehicle, bicycle, pedestrian, etc.)
Chimney Rock Road—closed to all traffic (i.e., motor vehicle, bicycle, pedestrian, etc.) due to road construction

Back to top
Date: 6/5/20 12:59 pm
From: auntiestrophe via groups.io <auntiestrophe=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Hooded Oriole, Point Reyes Station, 6/5/20
Hi,

After a car repair in town, I was surprised and delighted this morning to see a male and female Hooded Oriole alight on a flowering bush right in front of my vehicle! Perhaps not surprisingly, there was a large palm nearby. East of Cheda’s garage, between the back of the native plant nursery and the large brick building. Did not have any optics on me but that palm tree is worth a good look.

Good birding,
Carlo Arreglo
Point Reyes Station, CA