northbaybirds
Received From Subject
8/21/18 12:17 pm 'Alvaro Jaramillo' <chucao...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...> [NBB] Bodega Pelagic trip report.
8/20/18 7:23 pm <longstrethcarolyn...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...> [NBB] Parasitic Jaeger at Bolinas Lagoon on Sunday
8/20/18 2:07 pm 'Bob Battagin' <bigfootbob...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...> [NBB] Nicasio Reservoir Baird's Sandpipers.
8/20/18 1:32 pm David <daviddiller...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...> Re: [NBB] Point Reyes guides or birding companions for traveling birder
8/20/18 1:09 pm 'Alvaro Jaramillo' <chucao...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...> [NBB] Point Reyes guides or birding companions for traveling birder
8/18/18 9:30 am Dea Freid <lemuria...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...> [NBB] Owl Canyon Warblers
8/17/18 4:20 pm <sonomanature...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...> [NBB] Sept 8th - Bird & Nature Books - Author signing table set
8/17/18 9:35 am Mark Stephenson <markstephenson4106...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...> [NBB] Semipalmated Sandpiper, Baird’s Sandpiper, and Northern Parula Bodega Bay yesterday Sonoma County.
8/15/18 10:25 pm Lisa Hug <lisahug...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...> [NBB] semipalmated sandpiper and baird's
8/15/18 8:39 pm <corvus8x...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...> [NBB] Bodega Bay Western Migrants
8/15/18 7:53 pm langdon stevenson <langdonstevenson...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...> [NBB] Wilson's Phalaropes
8/12/18 8:45 am Brook OConnor <brookoconnor202...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...> [NBB] Northern Parula
8/11/18 10:19 pm <rscimino...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...> [NBB] Elegant Terns Corte Madera Marsh Eclogical Preserve
8/11/18 4:20 pm Tim Bray <tbray...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...> [NBB] Mendocino Pelagic trips in September
8/9/18 11:37 am Mark Stephenson <markstephenson4106...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...> [NBB] Baird’s Sandpipers continue at Doran Beach, sonoma Co
8/9/18 11:25 am Dea Freid <lemuria...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...> [NBB] B. Bay Am Redstart adult male
8/9/18 8:59 am Josiah Clark <josiah.clark621...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...> [NBB] Canvasbacks Highway 37
8/8/18 1:12 am Mark Stephenson <markstephenson4106...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...> [NBB] White-Faced Ibis Huichica Creek Unit Napa County
8/7/18 7:10 pm Mark Stephenson <markstephenson4106...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...> [NBB] White-Faced Ibis and Semipalmated Sandpiper Huichica Creek Unit Napa County
8/7/18 6:43 pm <ewscholz...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...> [NBB] Long-eared Owls at Tennessee Valley
8/6/18 7:57 pm Mark Stephenson <markstephenson4106...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...> [NBB] Semipalmated Sandpiper Napa-Sonoma Marshes Huichica Creek Unit Napa County
8/6/18 6:02 pm <eupher...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...> [NBB] Bodega Bay and thereabouts
8/4/18 11:11 am Mike Heffernon <mheff...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...> [NBB] Occidental Purple Martins
8/3/18 10:39 am <sonomanature...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...> [NBB] Sept 8 - 7th Optics & Nature Festival - Sonoma
7/30/18 1:23 pm NANCY AND EUGENE HUNN <enhunn323...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...> [NBB] Redwood Region Ornithological Society Bodega Bay pelagic trips
7/29/18 2:31 pm ruth <ruthier...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...> [NBB] Indigo Buntiing Solano and Yolo Putah Creek
7/28/18 6:01 pm Carlo Arreglo <auntiestrophe...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...> [NBB] Point Reyes Lighthouse (and Trees) No Access Starting Aug 6
7/25/18 7:03 pm 'Bob Battagin' <bigfootbob...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...> [NBB] Nicasio Reservoir this time of year.
7/24/18 9:46 pm David Wimpfheimer <ceruleanswift...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...> [NBB] Yellow-headed Blackbird, American Bittern in Marin & Sonoma
7/24/18 10:33 am ruth <ruthier...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...> [NBB] Kenwood local interest
7/22/18 12:54 pm ruth <ruthier...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...> [NBB] Black Skimmer Bodega Bay
7/22/18 12:28 pm Priscilla Johnstone <mtymeg...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...> [NBB] Skimmer
7/22/18 7:10 am Brook OConnor <brookoconnor202...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...> [NBB] Black Skimmer continues

Back to top
Date: 8/21/18 12:17 pm
From: 'Alvaro Jaramillo' <chucao...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] Bodega Pelagic trip report.
Hello all,

We had a good pelagic this last Sunday, with a good swell but not much
wind to make that uncomfortable. On this particular trip we went well
offshore, over 30 miles from the coast before moving south along the 1000
fathom contour line, and then coming back on to the Cordell Bank. There was
a great diversity, with good numbers of Buller's Shearwaters as well as
Rhinoceros Auklets, both perhaps above normal. WE did hit slower spots
offshore, and could not find a dense concentration of storm-petrels.
Nevertheless we saw a nice number of Ashy, as well as Fork-tailed, with one
Wilson's. Black-footed Albatross was out there in average numbers, and of
course there were many Pink-footed and Sooty. All three jaegers were seen,
with a particularly great view of a subadult Pomarine Jaeger and several
Long-tails, Common and Arctic terns were out there, Sabine's Gulls and both
phalaropes. Good numbers of Northern Fulmar as well. To end the trip, a
gorgeous Tufted Puffin on the way in was great.

Biggest surprise of the trip, and adult male American Redstart flying
around with a Yellow Warbler in the fog. Other land birds out there included
a couple of Brown-headed Cowbird and Eurasian Collared-Dove.

It was a nice trip, with very workable weather, although a tad cold! The
RROS is doing another trip on Sept 9, see their website below for more
information. We are collaborating on another trip Oct 7. We are all looking
forward to when the storm petrel flocks move in, we hope it does happen this
year.

http://www.rros.org/HTML/FieldTrips.htm

good birding,

Alvaro

Alvaro Jaramillo

<mailto:<alvaro...> <alvaro...>

www.alvarosadventures.com

Back to top
Date: 8/20/18 7:23 pm
From: <longstrethcarolyn...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] Parasitic Jaeger at Bolinas Lagoon on Sunday
Hello birders:
Joan Lamphier and I were doing our monthly beach survey yesterday on Dipsea Road, Seadrift, Stinson Beach. Among the 800 or so elegant terns on the mudflats was a parasitic jaeger. After a brief flight, it sat on the mud for a good 10 minutes, giving us terrific views. --Carolyn Longstreth

Back to top
Date: 8/20/18 2:07 pm
From: 'Bob Battagin' <bigfootbob...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] Nicasio Reservoir Baird's Sandpipers.
Hi NBBers,

Just a heads up to let you know that there were 5 Baird’s Sandpipers in the mudflats at the NE corner (near the junction of Nicasio Valley Road and Pt. Reyes Petaluma Road) of Nicasio Reservoir this morning. They were in a mixed flock of Least and Western Sandpipers.

Also, there was and adult Bald Eagle in the cypress trees at the same location as well as 80 Double-crested Cormorants (a high count for the reservoir) in a feeding frenzy close to that location.

Good birding,
Bob Battagin
Woodacre

Back to top
Date: 8/20/18 1:32 pm
From: David <daviddiller...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [NBB] Point Reyes guides or birding companions for traveling birder
Alvaro,

I will be staying close to Pt Reyes with my mom, and since now retired, I can take him birding or a combo of. birding and mammal seeking if he wants ( my niche - can guarantee close Gray Fox and several others and very good chances for Bobcat, Badger etc ) one long day , up to the 20 th of Sep , after which we are moving overseas.

Thanks for the great pelagic trip yesterday !

David Diller

Sent by Ipad
Please disregard any typos

> On Aug 20, 2018, at 1:09 PM, 'Alvaro Jaramillo' <chucao...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...> wrote:
>
> Hello
>
> I was contacted by a birder without a car who is going to be visiting the Point Reyes area from Europe in late September. Are there any guides for hire working the point that may want the contact? Or anyone interested in getting in contact to show this person around?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alvaro
>

> Alvaro Jaramillo
>
> <alvaro...>
>
> www.alvarosadventures.com

Back to top

Date: 8/18/18 9:30 am
From: Dea Freid <lemuria...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] Owl Canyon Warblers
A few have arrived Sat AM. Wilson's , several Yellows, Townsend's and Hermit.

This spot is in Bodega Bay Sonoma county.

Dea Freid
Sebastopol

Sent from my iPhone

Listowners: mailto:<northbaybirds-owner...>

Turn off email delivery: mailto:<northbaybirds-nomail...>
Resume email delivery: mailto:<northbaybirds-normal...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
<northbaybirds-digest...>
<northbaybirds-fullfeatured...>

<northbaybirds-unsubscribe...>

Back to top
Date: 8/17/18 4:20 pm
From: <sonomanature...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] Sept 8th - Bird & Nature Books - Author signing table set
Attention interested authors of nature and bird books!

A courtesy book signing table will be provided at the Sonoma Barracks on the Sonoma Plaza, 20 East Spain Steet, Sonoma 95476, at the 7th Annual "Wine Country Optics and Nature Festival" slated for Saturday, September 8th between 10 AM- 4:00 PM. We ask that you contact the sponsor and select a time slot that works for you. (phone 415-302-5601 for more information. Fifty nature related entries from Northern California are participating in this free event. Celebrate California's Good Nature!

See you there!

Tom Rusert
Sonoma, CA.

Back to top
Date: 8/17/18 9:35 am
From: Mark Stephenson <markstephenson4106...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] Semipalmated Sandpiper, Baird’s Sandpiper, and Northern Parula Bodega Bay yesterday Sonoma County.
Late yesterday afternoon we found the Semipalmated Sandpiper spotted the day before by Lisa Hug it was in the mudflats opposite the second small parking lot after the tollbooth. Very Blunt bill with all grayish brown wing. Ron Storey was with us and we both got Spectacular photos on Ebird. A Baird’s Sandpiper also flew in for a short period while we were watching the Semipalmated Sandpiper. When we first got to the Rail Ponds there was no activity so we went to Bodega Dunes campground and found Willow Flycatcher and MacGillivray’s Warbler, then came back and found the Continuing Northern Parula opposite Blue Garage 1665 Bay Flat Rd. We located it by its chip.

Happy BirdingMark&Lucas
Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

Back to top
Date: 8/15/18 10:25 pm
From: Lisa Hug <lisahug...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] semipalmated sandpiper and baird's
Hi All,

This afternoon about 2pm, there were 3 Baird's Sandpipers and 1
Semipalmated Sandpiper in the entrance pond to Doran Regional Park in
Bodega Bay.

I have posted pictures in my ebird list below. It was very windy, so
the photos are blurry. Also, the birds weren't there very long. It
appeared as though they stopped in briefly, had a bite to eat, and then
continued south. I just happened to cross paths with them while they
were on the move.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47866503

Lisa Hug
Sebastopol

Date: 8/15/18 8:39 pm
From: <corvus8x...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] Bodega Bay Western Migrants
Birded 1030 am -1230 pm. Besides the abundant Wilson's Warblers at Owl Canyon and Campbell Cove ( easily 12) and Pacific Slope Flycatchers ( 2) which may be local breeders, I had two obvious migrants / post breeding dispersal species,a female Yellow Warbler and a female / imm Lazuli Bunting , both at the NW corner of Hole in the Head. The bunting was a little tough to id...It had slight streaks on its flanks , but the buffy / peachy breast , white wing bars nailed it's ID. I will post a pix ..

Did a ocean watch for a bit , but lack of wind and haze made it slow .. A few Heermann's Gulls , a lot ofPigeon Guillemots adults and hatch year..

Western and Least Sandpipers building up on mud flats but low tide made tough viewing.

I also had a Western Tanager in my yard in West Sebastopol this morning .

Its beginning...

I will

Best

Scott Carey

Sebastopol, Ca,

Back to top
Date: 8/15/18 7:53 pm
From: langdon stevenson <langdonstevenson...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] Wilson's Phalaropes

This afternoon at Rush Creek in Novato there were 10 Wilson's Phalaropes.
To reach the Rush Creek area exit 101 at Atherton Avenue. Turn east , then go left
at the first intersection which comes up right away. Parking is usually easy along the service road.

Lang Stevenson
San Rafael

Date: 8/12/18 8:45 am
From: Brook OConnor <brookoconnor202...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] Northern Parula
Orion and I stopped by the back side of the Rail Ponds at Bodega Bay - found a Northern Parula, 1st year, in the same area the American Redstart was found a few days ago by Dea Freid. It was in fairly dense foliage but we got a few fair photos. In the area between 1665 and 1695 on the pond side along the road.
Not too much wind yet, a clear day here.
Brook OConnor

Date: 8/11/18 10:19 pm
From: <rscimino...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] Elegant Terns Corte Madera Marsh Eclogical Preserve
Late morning on the mud flats of Corte Madera Creek Marsh there were 325+ Elegant Terns.
Also large numbers of Black-billed Plovers,Long billed Curlews and Marble Godwits.
Present in small number were Whimbrel and Long-billed Dowitchers.
Virginia Rails and Ridgeway Rails were calling as the tide began to roll back in.
Enjoy Sunday,
Rich Cimino

Back to top
Date: 8/11/18 4:20 pm
From: Tim Bray <tbray...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] Mendocino Pelagic trips in September
Mendocino Coast Audubon Society is coordinating two Pelagic Seabirding
trips this fall.

First will be an all-day trip on Sunday, September 16, out of Noyo
Harbor, Fort Bragg, led by Rob Fowler and Todd Easterla.

We plan to assemble at 7 AM and depart soon thereafter, spend about 10
hours at sea, returning around 5 PM. Ocean conditions permitting, we
may go 30 to 40 miles offshore. We have chartered the Trek II, the
largest and fastest boat in Noyo Harbor and a great birding platform.

Upwelling off the Mendocino coast brings nutrients and food to the sea
surface, which in turn brings a lot of bird activity to this part of
the ocean at this time of year. During fall migration season
rarities are possible, and a full-day trip offers excellent chances.

The cost will be $150 per person and advance reservations are
required. At present there are only a few spaces left, so contact
Chuck Vaughn, <cevaughn...> 707-462-8137 or Tim Bray,
<tbray...> (707) 734-0791 soon if you are interested.

One week later, Sunday September 23, we will run a half-day trip from
7 AM to noon. This trip normally goes out 10-12 miles offshore, over
the submarine Noyo Canyon, where we often find many of the same
species as the full-day trip. It is a great introduction to pelagic
birding, and we often encounter several kinds of marine mammals as
well - from Northern Fur Seals to Blue Whales. David Jensen and Ron
LeValley will lead.

Cost will be $65 per person. Advance reservations are required. We may
charter a different vessel for this trip, depending on the numbers, so
contact Tim Bray, <tbray...> or (707) 734-0791 soon if you are
interested.

MCAS is offering to sponsor students for either trip. Contact Tim Bray
if you are enrolled in high school or college. We love to help foster
the next generation of birders!

--
Cheers,
Tim

__._,_.___

Listowners: mailto:<northbaybirds-owner...>

Membership and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a blank
email to these addresses:

Turn off email delivery: mailto:<northbaybirds-nomail...>
Resume email delivery: mailto:<northbaybirds-normal...>

[IMAGE]

Visit Your Group

* New Members 1

Yahoo! Groups • Privacy • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use
__,_._,___

Back to top
Date: 8/9/18 11:37 am
From: Mark Stephenson <markstephenson4106...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] Baird’s Sandpipers continue at Doran Beach, sonoma Co
We found 2 Baird’s Sandpipers opposite the 2nd small parking lot past the Doran Beach toll booth where the creek enters the estuary. Much larger than westerns with golden brown plumage and long wing extension. One found by Brook O’Connor yesterday has been joined by a second. Photos.

Date: 8/9/18 11:25 am
From: Dea Freid <lemuria...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] B. Bay Am Redstart adult male

At 10:30 AM Thu 8/9. Behind rail ponds around blue garage residence #1665 Bay Flat Rd. Adult male American Redstart. Not seeing it when I left, may be in Bodega Dunes campground (borders where I saw it).

In Sonoma County

Date: 8/9/18 8:59 am
From: Josiah Clark <josiah.clark621...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] Canvasbacks Highway 37
In early morning traffic heading west towards Sears point on 37 I just now observed 10 canvas backs with what appeared to be some juveniles mixed in. Logan informed me it was suspected they were breeding at Waterbird marsh in Martinez some years ago. Though I haven’t seen them over there this year but it appears they bred somewhere in San Pablo bay.
Looks like a vast kayak birding hinterland out there, stoked to give it a try soon. If anyone has more detailed information on canvasback breeding in the Northbay I’d love to hear about it. Thanks!

Date: 8/8/18 1:12 am
From: Mark Stephenson <markstephenson4106...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] White-Faced Ibis Huichica Creek Unit Napa County
Sorry here is the link to the ebird checklist https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47711772

Date: 8/7/18 7:10 pm
From: Mark Stephenson <markstephenson4106...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] White-Faced Ibis and Semipalmated Sandpiper Huichica Creek Unit Napa County
This morning I (Lucas Stephenson) went with Jason Celaya to Huichica Creek Unit-Napa-Sonoma Marshes. We found a White-Faced Ibis on the first pond, it flew in and foraged with some Snowy Egrets. We then went to Pond 7A and the pond E of 7A, we were able to refind the Semipalmated Sandpiper that I found yesterday, it was hanging out with least and western Sandpipers. We also found a Red-Necked Phalarope on Pond 1. There are still many Wilson’s Phalarope. Also saw Loggerhead Shrike W of Bathrooms light in a dead bush.
Happy Birding Mark&Lucas Stephenson

Date: 8/7/18 6:43 pm
From: <ewscholz...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] Long-eared Owls at Tennessee Valley
Last night at 12:30 a.m. at Haypress Campground in Tennessee Valley my wife and I heard a pair of Long-eared Owls duetting (one low, one high, plus catcalls). I've never had them there in summer.

Eric and Starling Scholz
Petaluma

Back to top
Date: 8/6/18 7:57 pm
From: Mark Stephenson <markstephenson4106...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] Semipalmated Sandpiper Napa-Sonoma Marshes Huichica Creek Unit Napa County
Just located A Semipalmated Sandpiper found associating in amongst least and westerns. East of pond 7A. Extremely short, straight, blunt bill, gray scalloping on back and tertials with no red on shoulder or head whatsoever. Slightly smaller than westerns but larger than nearby leasts. Photos in ebird checklist.

Date: 8/6/18 6:02 pm
From: <eupher...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] Bodega Bay and thereabouts
Hi everyone, we have been in Bodega Bay for 5 days now and have noticed a decided lack of birds. We come here every year at this time and this year, no ducks, only a few loon, no Snowy Plover on Sonoma Coast State Beach, no marbled godwit, only a handful of egret, Owl Canyon, geez I saw a California Towhee. No hawks around. Zero yellow rumped warblers at Hole inthe Head. Just a small fleet of mergansers in Salmon Creek and 5 or 6 Canada Geese.

What in the wide wide world of sports is going on?

Mike Shannon
Castro Valley

Date: 8/4/18 11:11 am
From: Mike Heffernon <mheff...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] Occidental Purple Martins
Hi Birders,

Until a year ago the only martins I’d seen in Sonoma county were in Gualala. Last summer I had 2-3 fly over and circle our house. A couple of months ago a few martins were noted on Joy Rd near Bittner Rd above Occidental. For the past couple of weeks I’ve seen and heard martins circling our property and adjacent properties. Lately I’ve been seeing and hearing them everyday - from 1-2 to several. Both sexes but I can’t discern an adult female from a juvenile (and maybe juvies are beginning to get some adult feathers at this point). At any rate, Purple martins seem to be uncommon in the county for the most part, as well as a local species (Gualala, Pine Flat Rd, etc.) but I’d be surprised if they weren’t nesting nearby. Good birding,

Mike Heffernon
Occidental

Sent from my iPad

Date: 8/3/18 10:39 am
From: <sonomanature...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] Sept 8 - 7th Optics & Nature Festival - Sonoma
Fifteen leading binocular and scope companies from across the U.S. will be on display, demonstrating and selling the newest binocular and telescope technology. The event is in Sonoma, California on Saturday, Sept 8th (10AM-4PM) at the Sonoma Plaza Barracks, 20 East Spain Street, Sonoma, CA. 95476. This is the only time all the major vendors come together in Northern California. The event is celebrating its 7th year joined by many nature non-profits and artists from Mendocino to Monterey. For more information contact 415-302-5601 or sonomanature.org. This public event is free and open to the California birding and nature community and the general public.

Tom Rusert
Sonoma, CA
www.sonomanature.org http://www.sonomanature.org

Back to top
Date: 7/30/18 1:23 pm
From: NANCY AND EUGENE HUNN <enhunn323...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] Redwood Region Ornithological Society Bodega Bay pelagic trips
NiBBers,

RROS (Redwood Region Ornithological Society) is offering three fall pelagic trips out of Bodega Bay to Bodega Canyon and the Cordell Banks aboard the New Sea Angler: August 19, September 9, and October 7, all Sundays. Cost is $150 (plus a membership). For details check our society webpage.

Gene Hunn for RROS

Back to top
Date: 7/29/18 2:31 pm
From: ruth <ruthier...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] Indigo Buntiing Solano and Yolo Putah Creek
Hello Birders,

Peter Colasanti and I got up early and headed to the Davis Putah Creek
Reserve on Pedrick Rd (exit off Hwy 80) outside Dixon. The creek is the
county border between Solano and Yolo. Target birds were the Indigo
Bunting and Blue Grosbeak. I needed both for Yolo County.

Got there a little after 7am and for the first couple hours saw birds
and birders but neither target. There were many Lazuli Buntings.

Finally, the male Blue Grosbeak landed right in front of me! But left
quickly. Peter was able to find the grosbeaks down stream. Seen just
west of the "bird bath" area.

Sadly, many birders gave up and left without seeing the Indigo Bunting.
Just before 11am I suggested one last walk down the creek. Another
birder said he had just seen the bunting. Two foreign photographers got
pictures and the rest of us got the bird. On the Solano side. But
moments later, Joanie Humphrey found the bird had bathed and was
preening on a bush on the Yolo side before flying back across the creek
for short views.

So picked up 2 more birds for Yolo County! Actually sititing in the same
short tree hours apart. Peter saw those two for both counties (I
believe)! Nice little outing!

Ruthie Rudesill

Kenwood Sonoma Valley

Back to top
Date: 7/28/18 6:01 pm
From: Carlo Arreglo <auntiestrophe...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] Point Reyes Lighthouse (and Trees) No Access Starting Aug 6
Good evening birding community!
I would much rather report sightings but, sadly, I am reporting that the start of the much-needed repairs and restoration to the Point Reyes Lighthouse begins on Saturday Aug 6 and is scheduled to run until "on or about Oct 6.."
Unfortunately, there will be no public access beyond the LH parking lot so that means no access to the trees along the road between the parking lot and the lighthouse visitor center.
This is an obvious disappointment for us birders, especially during fall migration. However, it is exciting that a project about 10 years in the making is finally getting underway and that the 1870 lighthouse will undergo restoration. The other "hot spots" in the Outer Point are not subject to the same closures.
Update: Restoration work begins on Monday, August 6, 2018. - Point Reyes National Seashore (U.S. National Park Service)

| |
Update: Restoration work begins on Monday, August 6, 2018. - Point Reyes...

Thanks again for visiting the park and supporting Point Reyes National Seashore!
-Carlo ArregloPark RangerBig Time and Sand Sculpture Events, Winter Wildlife Program ManagerPoint Reyes National Seashore

Back to top
Date: 7/25/18 7:03 pm
From: 'Bob Battagin' <bigfootbob...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] Nicasio Reservoir this time of year.
Hi NBBers,

In the summer and early fall there is a large gathering of White-tailed Kites at Nicasio Reservoir. Park at a pull out near mile marker 0.39 on Nicasio Valley Road and look west out across the water. The White-tailed Kites hang out in the willows along the far shoreline. In the past week or so I and others have counted up to 32 birds there.

Along the NW most shoreline there is often a group of Osprey that rest on the shore or in the shallow water. Lately there have been between zero and seven when I’ve stopped there. The best spot to take a look is from a widening of the shoulder 1.1 miles towards Point Reyes Station from the junction of Nicasio Valley Road and Pt. Reyes Petaluma Road. A scope helps but is not absolutely necessary. My guess is that these birds are from the many nests at nearby Kent Lake. I do not know of any current Osprey nesting activity at Nicasio Reservoir.

The level of the lake has dropped quite a bit and there is a nice muddy shoreline being exposed. Lately, I’ve observed small numbers of five species of some of the more common shorebirds. They seem to favor the mudflat at the junction of Nicasio Valley Road and Pt. Reyes Petaluma Road....and the mudflats on both sides of the road at mile marker 0.95 along Nicasio Valley Road. Hopefully there will be a nice migration of shorebirds through the area this fall. Its not too unusual to see Baird’s and Pectoral Sandpipers there in the August to October window.

Good birding,
Bob Battagin

Back to top
Date: 7/24/18 9:46 pm
From: David Wimpfheimer <ceruleanswift...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] Yellow-headed Blackbird, American Bittern in Marin & Sonoma
I apologize for this tardy report.  On July 21 I had several noteworthy sightings in Marin and Sonoma.  Across from 5725 Chileno Valley Road I saw a female YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRD with a group of red-winged and Brewer's Blackbirds.  In Sonoma County at the Carmody Road Pond a lone AMERICAN BITTERN was in open water on the north side of the pond.  Earlier in the day there were a pair of BALD EAGLES on a possible nest tree near the mouth of Walker Creek visible from a pullout along Highway One.  One of these adults was also seen alongside the creek with a juvenile BALD EAGLE suggesting they had nested in the area.

Back to top
Date: 7/24/18 10:33 am
From: ruth <ruthier...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] Kenwood local interest
I have a new yard bird - a WRENTIT - actually a pair! Calling back and
forth. Never had them near here before. I guess because my yard opened
up with all the tree/brush removal?

Ruthie Rudesill

Kenwood Sonoma Valley

Back to top
Date: 7/22/18 12:54 pm
From: ruth <ruthier...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] Black Skimmer Bodega Bay
Hello Birders,

The word is out that the Black Skimmer continues at Bodega Bay in the
Harbor. Was at Doran -seen from the Rich Stallcup viewing platform -
then flew west staying the Doran side of Channel.

Last night, I found a Red Knot mostly in alternate plumage from the RS
viewing platform. Rick Lebaudour obvserved a nice juvenile
Semi-palmated Sandpiper yesterday as well.

Good Birding,

Ruth Rudesill

Kenwood Sonoma Valley

Back to top
Date: 7/22/18 12:28 pm
From: Priscilla Johnstone <mtymeg...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] Skimmer
Still here (Doran Beach)@ 12:25, off the viewing platform.

Date: 7/22/18 7:10 am
From: Brook OConnor <brookoconnor202...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] Black Skimmer continues
The Black Skimmer is off the Rich Stallcup viewing area at 7 am. It is with Marbled Gotwits in the damp sand of the incoming tide. It flew around once and I could hear its call and see its bill. I’m looking through my scope from my deck. Wow! nice yard bird.

Brook OConnor