northbaybirds
Received From Subject
7/18/19 9:22 pm Luanna Helfman <luanna.helfman...> [northbaybirds] Baird's Sandpipers
7/12/19 5:00 pm rosita94598 via Groups.Io <rosita94598=<yahoo.com...> [northbaybirds] Continuing Harlequin Duck
7/9/19 3:49 pm Derek Lecy via Groups.Io <dlecy=<yahoo.com...> [northbaybirds] Harlequin Duck - McClures Beach, PRNS (MRN Co.), 7/9
7/1/19 11:20 am Adrian Hinkle <adrian.hinkle...> Re: [northbaybirds] Tropicbird off Muir Beach Friday evening
6/30/19 10:27 pm Kent Forward via Groups.Io <kforward=<yahoo.com...> [northbaybirds] Black Vulture - Point Reyes 6/30/19
6/29/19 10:47 am jimwhitebbs <jimwhitebbs...> [northbaybirds] Tropicbird off Muir Beach Friday evening
6/27/19 10:44 am tom rusert <sonomanature...> [northbaybirds] 9/14 - Optics & Nature Festival (10 AM - 4 PM)
6/25/19 9:43 pm Jungletouch <Jungletouch...> [northbaybirds] western Blue Bird
6/23/19 8:08 am Jackie Sones via Groups.Io <jackiesones=<yahoo.com...> [northbaybirds] Purple Martin -- Bodega Head -- 22 June 2019
6/19/19 4:32 pm Bill Lenarz via Groups.Io <bhlenarz=<yahoo.com...> Re: [northbaybirds] Common Redpoll continuing Tuesday afternoon June 18th.
6/19/19 5:30 am Gerald Meral <jerrymeral...> Re: [northbaybirds] Drakes Beach mystery song
6/19/19 1:15 am Noah Arthur via Groups.Io <semirelicta=<yahoo.com...> [northbaybirds] Drakes Beach mystery song
6/19/19 12:36 am Noah Arthur via Groups.Io <semirelicta=<yahoo.com...> [northbaybirds] Redpoll + Drakes parula

Back to top
Date: 7/18/19 9:22 pm
From: Luanna Helfman <luanna.helfman...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Baird's Sandpipers
There were 6 Baird's at Limantour Beach, Point Reyes National Seashore,
this morning.
Luanna Helfman
Woodacre

Back to top
Date: 7/12/19 5:00 pm
From: rosita94598 via Groups.Io <rosita94598=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Continuing Harlequin Duck
The Harlequin Duck male reported at McClure's Beach by Derek Lacy Tuesday was seen today before 10 AM.  I followed Derek's directions and then walked to the left to the end of the beach, searched the rocks around the little cove and found the duck out of the water., but just a short way past the little second beach at the curve of the cove.  Out a bit farther on the rocks toward the point, there were two Black Oystercatchers.  On the main beach were adult and various stages of immature Western Gulls and adult Heerman's Gulls.  It was about 1hour 10 minutes for me round trip. I'm quite sure this was the first time I have ever visited McClure's Beach.
Hugh B. HarveyWalnut Creek

Back to top
Date: 7/9/19 3:49 pm
From: Derek Lecy via Groups.Io <dlecy=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Harlequin Duck - McClures Beach, PRNS (MRN Co.), 7/9
Today (7/9), I was able to get good looks at the continuing adult male HARLEQUIN DUCK at McClures Beach in Point Reyes National Seashore. I think this is likely the same bird that was first reported to eBird on 6/9 by A. Savage and is in heavy wing and tail molt. Checklist below.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58057744

Note: Due to the heavy storms back at the end of February, the road down to McClures Beach is completely washed out. However, McClures is OPEN and accessible. You are able to get to the beach by parking at the Pierce Point Ranch/Tomales Point Trailhead parking lot and then walking ~150-200 yards down to the McClures Beach Trailhead, and then another 0.4 miles down to the actual beach. You have to walk around the massive sinkhole before you get to the trailhead, but there is ample room to do so (at least until the next big storm).

Derek Lecy
San Rafael

Back to top
Date: 7/1/19 11:20 am
From: Adrian Hinkle <adrian.hinkle...>
Subject: Re: [northbaybirds] Tropicbird off Muir Beach Friday evening
Nice find, Jim and Ann!

Did anybody look for this bird over the weekend? Seems it could show up at
a murre colony somewhere nearby.

Best,
Adrian

On Sat, Jun 29, 2019 at 10:47 AM jimwhitebbs <jimwhitebbs...> wrote:

> Hello Birders,
> Around 8:30 Friday evening flying relatively high into the northwest wind
> past Muir Beach toward Stinson , first seen by Ann Linder a hawk hill
> veteran, was tern shaped bird with a long straight narrow tail that I
> believe was a Red-tailed Tropicbird. Twelve of us on an evening Marin
> Audubon S
> field trip watched the bird for 3-5 minutes as it flew from a mile south
> of us and disappeared beyond Spindrift Point it's nearest approach about
> a third of a mile . We did not get a picture but we hope some people will
> see it today. My apology for that and for this late posting though I did
> try until late last night.
> The bird was mostly light without distinct dark/light contrast except for
> a dark eyeline or post occular noted by some in a scope view, the tail was
> about equal in length to the body and straight, narrow and stiff. The
> wings were arrow long and pointed some what like a tern.
> The ocean was active with many Brown Pelicans, Brandts Cormorants,
> Western and Heermann's Gulls a couple Caspian Terns and 7 C Murres were
> also seen.
> Good luck,
> Jim White

Back to top
Date: 6/30/19 10:27 pm
From: Kent Forward via Groups.Io <kforward=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Black Vulture - Point Reyes 6/30/19
Good Evening Birders,
While winding up a fun day of birding at Point Reyes National Seashore, I birded the riparian along Sir Francis Drake Boulevard near the Mount Vision Road intersection.  The continuing BLACK VULTURE made a brief appearance overhead.  Pretty crummy photo (up in the fog!) in my eBird report:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S57826972

Bountiful Birding,Kent ForwardEl Granada

Back to top

Date: 6/27/19 10:44 am
From: tom rusert <sonomanature...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] 9/14 - Optics & Nature Festival (10 AM - 4 PM)
8th ANNUAL NATURE AND OPTICS FESTIVAL

Saturday - Sept 14th - 10 AM - 4 PM (FREE Event)

Sonoma Plaza - CA. State Parks - Barracks Area

20 Spain Street - Sonoma CA. 95476

Over fifty participants including optics experts from 12 major binocular and scope companies as well as major nature organizations from throughout California will be representing Fauna, Flora, and Feathers!   Optics demonstrations and sales, well-known nature artists, great nature displays, live raptors and non-profit representatives will be on hand.  visit host organization - www.sonomanature.org ( http://www.sonomanature.org ) for addition information.

Also, 35 major "Plain Air" artists from across the United States will be at their easels all day painting live on the historic Sonoma Plaza.  Great day to celebrate Sonoma's Good Nature!

Tom Rusert

Sonoma, CA.

Back to top
Date: 6/25/19 9:43 pm
From: Jungletouch <Jungletouch...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] western Blue Bird

Back to top
Date: 6/23/19 8:08 am
From: Jackie Sones via Groups.Io <jackiesones=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Purple Martin -- Bodega Head -- 22 June 2019
Hi, North Bay Birders,

Just a note that there was a fly-by Purple Martin at Bodega Head yesterday, 22 June 2019.  It joined some foraging Barn Swallows for a few minutes, calling frequently, and then flew off.

Jackie Sones
Bodega Bay, CA

Back to top
Date: 6/19/19 4:32 pm
From: Bill Lenarz via Groups.Io <bhlenarz=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: Re: [northbaybirds] Common Redpoll continuing Tuesday afternoon June 18th.
The Common Redpoll was still in the pines about 10:30 this morning, June 19. A female redstart also continued there. A birder in the parking lot told me he saw the two birds earlier.
I appreciate Richard Cimino's posting yesterday and the other birder taking the time to inform me about the Redpoll still being in the pines this morning. I wasn't able to look for the redpoll earlier because of a trip and was very relieved to get a good look at it for my 420th Marin bird species. I also added a new mammal to my Marin list, a badger.
Good birding and mammaling,
Bill LenarzKentfield, Marin

.

Back to top
Date: 6/19/19 5:30 am
From: Gerald Meral <jerrymeral...>
Subject: Re: [northbaybirds] Drakes Beach mystery song
Perhaps Cassin's Vireo?

https://www.xeno-canto.org/species/Vireo-cassinii

Jerry Meral

--
Jerry Meral, Ph.D.
Director

<jerrymeral...>
415-717-8412

Back to top
Date: 6/19/19 1:15 am
From: Noah Arthur via Groups.Io <semirelicta=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Drakes Beach mystery song

Date: 6/19/19 12:36 am
From: Noah Arthur via Groups.Io <semirelicta=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [northbaybirds] Redpoll + Drakes parula
This afternoon the female COMMON REDPOLL at the Pt. Reyes Fish Docks was enjoyed by many birders as she foraged in outer branches of the pines. She hangs out in the two big pines (not cypresses) at the far (away from parking lot) end of the Fish Docks trees, and moves inconspicuously and can be difficult to see. A male House Finch is often nearby and has been seen chasing the redpoll and carrying nesting material; some of us were wondering if they might be a pair...
Later in the evening an unseen NORTHERN PARULA was singing around in the trees near the monument at Drakes Beach. I first heard him from inside the car (at Drakes I like to just sit in the car looking and listening for awhile before I get out), and he shut up soon after I got out.
The birds at Drakes are skittish; I had my closest encounters during my car sit, including Swainson's Thrushes and Wilson's Warblers coming out in the open right by the parking lot, as they never seem to do when I'm out walking around. Sitting in a car with the engine off and one window down is just about as inconspicuous as a birder can be, and this may be a good strategy at Drakes...
Noah Arthur (Oakland)