mendobirds
Received From Subject
1/12/19 4:57 pm 'Jeanne & Rick' <jackson2...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> [Mendobirds] Snow Geese and Tundra Swans, plus a few other south coast sightings.
1/12/19 6:24 am Dan Airola <d.airola...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> Re: [Mendobirds] Turkey Vultures
1/11/19 8:03 pm Dan Airola <d.airola...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> Re: [Mendobirds] Turkey Vultures
1/11/19 3:33 pm George Gibbs <ggibbs...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> Re: [Mendobirds] Turkey Vultures
1/11/19 3:24 pm David Bengston <davebengston...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> [Mendobirds] Turkey Vultures
1/11/19 10:03 am Robert Keiffer <rjkeiffer...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> [Mendobirds] Burris Lane - 9th evening
1/10/19 10:39 pm Frank Sanderson <darliss60...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> [Mendobirds] Little Lake Valley
1/9/19 11:36 am <radamson...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> [Mendobirds] Glaucous Gull Noyo Headlands
1/8/19 9:22 pm christopher szejk <owlwind...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> [Mendobirds] Common Goldeneye Van Dame Little River
1/7/19 6:29 pm Tim Bray <tbray...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> [Mendobirds] CAFB missing birds
1/3/19 12:06 pm <feather...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> Re: [Mendobirds] BIrd sightings with photos
1/3/19 12:02 pm <feather...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> Re: [Mendobirds] BIrd sightings with photos
1/2/19 10:02 pm marisela de santa anna <mdsa1955...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> [Mendobirds] BIrd sightings with photos
1/2/19 11:56 am Kent Leland <kentleland...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> [Mendobirds] Burrowing Owl - Potter Valley
1/2/19 10:51 am Tim Bray <tbray...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> [Mendobirds] CAFB report
12/28/18 4:52 pm <stevestump...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> [Mendobirds] Phainopepla
12/27/18 5:48 pm <radamson...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> [Mendobirds] Tenn Warbler Fort Bragg
12/26/18 10:49 pm Tim Bray <tbray...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> [Mendobirds] Fort Bragg CBC - Count Week
12/24/18 8:32 pm <radamson...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> [Mendobirds] photos of new Tennessee Warbler
12/24/18 11:20 am Roger Adamson <radamson...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> [Mendobirds] Fwd: Fort Bragg Virginia's Warbler
12/24/18 10:05 am Roger Adamson <radamson...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> [Mendobirds] Tenn Warbler Fort Bragg
12/22/18 5:21 pm Kate Marianchild <katem...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> [Mendobirds] Townsend's solitaire
12/22/18 4:23 pm <radamson...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> [Mendobirds] Fort Bragg Virginia's Warbler
12/22/18 12:43 pm <feather...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> [Mendobirds] Red-breasted Sapsucker, Virgin Creek
12/21/18 11:58 am François Christen <fogrover...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> [Mendobirds] Golden eagle
12/21/18 10:55 am George Chaniot <chaniot...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> [Mendobirds] Re: Continuing Black-and-White Warbler
12/19/18 9:48 am Roger Foote <rogeletf...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> [Mendobirds] Continuing Black-and-white Warbler

Back to top
Date: 1/12/19 4:57 pm
From: 'Jeanne & Rick' <jackson2...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Snow Geese and Tundra Swans, plus a few other south coast sightings.
1/12/19

Mel Smith went down Stoneboro Road and hiked to the viewpoint of the floodplain of the Garcia. He found six Snow Gees and nine Tundra Swans today.

Two adult Bald Eagles continue at the Gualala River, often seen behind Trinks restaurant in Gualala. They were seen today. A three-year-old Bald Eagle was seen for a few days this past week in the same area.

A pair of Peregrine Falcons were seen earlier this week on a large rock off the Point Arena-Stornetta Lands. A Peregrine was photographed in a tree by the Gualala River this week.

Nice sunny day to bird watch (or mushroom forage – we found a treasure trove of matsutakes this afternoon)!

Jeanne Jackson, Anchor Bay

Back to top
Date: 1/12/19 6:24 am
From: Dan Airola <d.airola...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [Mendobirds] Turkey Vultures
Sorry. I had an phone autocorrect mistake. The Yurok tribe marked the vultures I saw passing through Sacramento.

Also my references to eBird abundance was for Mendocino County as a whole. It’s possible that inland patterns are different than on the coast.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 11, 2019, at 8:02 PM, Dan Airola <d.airola...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> wrote:
>
> Here are several bits of information (all from memory, but records could be checked) re: Turkey Vulture winter status in Northern California that may be relevant.
>
> - Last week during 3 days on the Mendocino Coast, I regularly saw vultures in numbers from 1 -10 at nearly every site I visited. Records are in eBird. Many (I would guess 70%) of the single birds I saw were flying south but that only suggests some may have been migrants.
> - in fall 2007-08 I observed two birds that had been marked by the Yukon tribe during the breeding season at a migration roost in Sacramento. So some breeders do migrate from the coast
> - the peak of migration in Sacramento is mid-September to mid-October.
> - Sacramento had a winter resident population that is about 20% of the daily number of migrants during peak migration. They roost in groups.
> - eBird abundance metrics for TVs is somewhat inconsistent but there is some suggestion that migration is prolonged into January there.
>
> I realize these are puzzle pieces, not a whole picture. They could just be residents using a winter roost. Or they might be late migrants. Or both using the same roost
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Jan 11, 2019, at 3:33 PM, George Gibbs <ggibbs...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> wrote:
>>

>> Last Sunday I counted 50-60 of them launching from same area during a brief break in the rain. Photo: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S51398045
>>
>> George Gibbs
>> Ukiah
>>
>>> On Jan 11, 2019, at 3:22 PM, David Bengston <davebengston...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yesterday I saw 15 Turkey Vultures going to roost in Doug Firs in Rogina Heights. Just a little while ago, I looked outside and saw a kettle of Vultures. I counted twenty-five! This is an inordinate number of Vultures for this time of year. Are they heading south this late in the year, or are they over wintering here? Or is this just a new location for them to roost this time of year. I sure don’t know.
>>>
>>> Dave Bengston
>>> Talmage, CA

Back to top
Date: 1/11/19 8:03 pm
From: Dan Airola <d.airola...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Here are several bits of information (all from memory, but records could be checked) re: Turkey Vulture winter status in Northern California that may be relevant.
- Last week during 3 days on the Mendocino Coast, I regularly saw vultures in numbers from 1 -10 at nearly every site I visited. Records are in eBird. Many (I would guess 70%) of the single birds I saw were flying south but that only suggests some may have been migrants.
- in fall 2007-08 I observed two birds that had been marked by the Yukon tribe during the breeding season at a migration roost in Sacramento. So some breeders do migrate from the coast
- the peak of migration in Sacramento is mid-September to mid-October.
- Sacramento had a winter resident population that is about 20% of the daily number of migrants during peak migration. They roost in groups.
- eBird abundance metrics for TVs is somewhat inconsistent but there is some suggestion that migration is prolonged into January there.

I realize these are puzzle pieces, not a whole picture. They could just be residents using a winter roost. Or they might be late migrants. Or both using the same roost

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 11, 2019, at 3:33 PM, George Gibbs <ggibbs...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> wrote:
>
> Last Sunday I counted 50-60 of them launching from same area during a brief break in the rain. Photo: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S51398045
>
> George Gibbs
> Ukiah
>
>> On Jan 11, 2019, at 3:22 PM, David Bengston <davebengston...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> wrote:
>>
>> Yesterday I saw 15 Turkey Vultures going to roost in Doug Firs in Rogina Heights. Just a little while ago, I looked outside and saw a kettle of Vultures. I counted twenty-five! This is an inordinate number of Vultures for this time of year. Are they heading south this late in the year, or are they over wintering here? Or is this just a new location for them to roost this time of year. I sure don’t know.
>>
>> Dave Bengston
>> Talmage, CA

Back to top
Date: 1/11/19 3:33 pm
From: George Gibbs <ggibbs...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Last Sunday I counted 50-60 of them launching from same area during a brief break in the rain. Photo: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S51398045 <https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S51398045>

George Gibbs
Ukiah

> On Jan 11, 2019, at 3:22 PM, David Bengston <davebengston...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> wrote:
>
> Yesterday I saw 15 Turkey Vultures going to roost in Doug Firs in Rogina Heights. Just a little while ago, I looked outside and saw a kettle of Vultures. I counted twenty-five! This is an inordinate number of Vultures for this time of year. Are they heading south this late in the year, or are they over wintering here? Or is this just a new location for them to roost this time of year. I sure don’t know.
>
> Dave Bengston
> Talmage, CA

Back to top
Date: 1/11/19 3:24 pm
From: David Bengston <davebengston...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Turkey Vultures
Yesterday I saw 15 Turkey Vultures going to roost in Doug Firs in Rogina Heights. Just a little while ago, I looked outside and saw a kettle of Vultures. I counted twenty-five! This is an inordinate number of Vultures for this time of year. Are they heading south this late in the year, or are they over wintering here? Or is this just a new location for them to roost this time of year. I sure don’t know.

Dave Bengston
Talmage, CA

Listowners: mailto:<MENDOBIRDS-owner...>
Turn off email delivery: mailto:<MENDOBIRDS-nomail...>
Resume email delivery: mailto:<MENDOBIRDS-normal...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
<Mendobirds-digest...>
<Mendobirds-fullfeatured...>

<Mendobirds-unsubscribe...>

Back to top
Date: 1/11/19 10:03 am
From: Robert Keiffer <rjkeiffer...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Burris Lane - 9th evening
9 January 2019 - 4:20 to 5:00 PM -    Evening of overcast and wet, but not raining at the time.   As I passed the Six-Point Ranch gate and drove through the swale in the road, there were a few crowned sparrows including a brilliant "white-phase" White-throated Sparrow on the north fence.  A large flock of blackbirds, about 130+ were congregating in a blue oak tree right along the road before you see the pond.   I spotted about 6 male Tricolored Blackbirds, but the group also had male Red-winged Blackbirds … and it was very poor light so I don't know how many of each species.  They all flew east towards the hidden-from-view 'Wilson's Pond" where they flocked together with a large flock of starlings.  All seemed to settle in to roost in the cattails/tules of that pond.   The Six-Point Ranch Pond (old Matthew's Pond) was very muddy and had only mallards and 20 ring-necked ducks and a couple pied-billed grebes.   Surprising me at close range, was a Prairie Falcon perched atop the highest blue oak tree on the knoll just to the NW of the parking spot/pond overview.   A mature Bald Eagle was flying east from the locked gate.   Also seen were 125+ tule elk and 1 wild pig.    Good Birding.  Bob Keiffer   Mendocino County, Hopland CA <rjkeiffer...>

Back to top
Date: 1/10/19 10:39 pm
From: Frank Sanderson <darliss60...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Little Lake Valley
Darliss and I took advantage of the sunny afternoon (1-10-19) and drove half way around Willits Valley. We observed good numbers of ducks including;Wood DuckMallard Green-winged TealAmerican & Eurasian Wigeon Northern ShovelerCinnamon TealRing-necked DuckPossible Lesser ScaupBuffeheadCal QuailWild TurkeyBand-tailed PigeonEurasian Collared-DoveAnna's HummingbirdTV American CootWhite-tailed KiteBald Eagle Northern HarrierRed-shouldered HawkRed-tailed HawkNuttall's WoodpeckerNorthern FlickerAmerican KestrelBlack PhoebeCal Scrub JayAmerican Crow Common RavenWhite-breasted NuthatchWestern BluebirdEuropean StarlingAudubon WarblerSpotted TowheeCal TowheeWhite-crowned SparrowGolden-crowned SparrowDark-eyed JuncoWestern Meadow LarkBlackbird spKeep looking up.Luck!F&D Sanderson Brooktrails (Willits)

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Back to top
Date: 1/9/19 11:36 am
From: <radamson...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Glaucous Gull Noyo Headlands
I found a Glaucous Gull this morning on the Noyo Headlands. Photos on the
eBird report.
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S51497431

Roger Adamson

Date: 1/8/19 9:22 pm
From: christopher szejk <owlwind...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Common Goldeneye Van Dame Little River
I Chris Szejk observed a single Male Common Goldeneye among a large flotilla of gulls in the bay at Little River. Jan 8th 4:00pm

Date: 1/7/19 6:29 pm
From: Tim Bray <tbray...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] CAFB missing birds
I am finally getting around to compiling the data from the Fort Bragg
CBC and am missing a couple of species that I marked down as seen
during the tally-up at dinner:

Black-crowned Night Heron

American Goldfinch

Pretty sure someone called these out, but I don't find them on any of
the checklists. If you happen to remember seeing or reporting one of
these, let me know.

Also if you had any Count Week birds (12/27-1/2), report them to me.
Missing in action include:

Snow Goose, Wood Duck, Gadwall, Pintail, Green-winged Teal, Scaup,
Ruddy Duck

Bald Eagle (what happened to the one hanging around town?)

Yellowlegs, Willet, Whimbrel, Dowitcher

Bonaparte's Gull

Western Screech-owl, Barred Owl, Northern Saw-whet Owl

CEDAR WAXWING

Nashville Warbler

Lesser Goldfinch

--
Cheers,
Tim BrayCAFB compiler

__._,_.___

Listowners: mailto:<MENDOBIRDS-owner...>
Membership and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a blank
email to these addresses:
Turn off email delivery: mailto:<MENDOBIRDS-nomail...>
Resume email delivery: mailto:<MENDOBIRDS-normal...>

[IMAGE]

Visit Your Group

Yahoo! Groups • Privacy • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use
__,_._,___

Back to top
Date: 1/3/19 12:06 pm
From: <feather...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [Mendobirds] BIrd sightings with photos
I think Mendobirds automatically deletes every attachment before posting
to the site. Have you tried eBird? eBird.org where you can upload photos
and share the link here?

Date: 1/3/19 12:02 pm
From: <feather...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>

Date: 1/2/19 11:56 am
From: Kent Leland <kentleland...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Burrowing Owl - Potter Valley
1/1/19 at 1:00PM on lower Pine Ave. a single BUOW on the hill area below and slightly east of the green water tank. Saw it from the pullout on Pine Ave.

Kent Leland

Date: 1/2/19 10:51 am
From: Tim Bray <tbray...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] CAFB report
Fort Bragg Christmas Bird Count report (sorry it's late)

Count Week began with mild sunny weather and reports of several unusual
birds found in and around Fort Bragg, so hopes were high. Alas, Count
Day began with mist and drizzle, followed by fierce cold northerly wind.
(The next morning was of course sunny, calm, and warm.) Nevertheless,
more than seventy people went out in the field and searched for birds,
many of which were hunkered down in cover and difficult to see clearly.
The ocean was surprisingly calm all morning, belying the forecast for
strong wind and high seas, so the offshore charter went out in the
afternoon - to be greeted by strong winds and high seas, making for a
very wild ride.

Notable finds include: Pigeon Guillemot off the Mendocino Headlands;
Red-naped Sapsucker near Caspar; Tennessee Warbler along Skunk Train
tracks; Palm Warbler on the Noyo Headlands trail; possible Swamp Sparrow
(heard only) along Skunk Train tracks. Seven Black-footed Albatrosses
came by the boat.

Our count-dinner tally ended with 135 species identified in the field.
A few additional field reports are coming in as I write this, and the
feeder/yard watch tally will take a few days to prepare, so it is likely
that number will rise, but it is still on the low end for this Count. It
will be interesting to see if the total number for individual birds
counted follows the decreasing trend of the last three years.

We concluded by vowing to do it all over again next year on Sunday,
December 29 - so mark your calendars, and resolve to find more birds in
2019.

Tim Bray

CAFB Compiler

Date: 12/28/18 4:52 pm
From: <stevestump...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Phainopepla
12/28/2018 450pm
Has anybody seen the Phainopepla that was found in Ukiah recently? Thank you, Steve Stump

Date: 12/27/18 5:48 pm
From: <radamson...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Tenn Warbler Fort Bragg
Dec 27 2018
Fort Bragg
Tennessee Warbler found at my feeders today counts for FB CBC count week.
We will try to keep it in sight through Sunday.
List and photos on eBird:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S51008266

Roger

Date: 12/26/18 10:49 pm
From: Tim Bray <tbray...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Fort Bragg CBC - Count Week
The Fort Bragg Christmas Bird Count is this Sunday, December 30. That
means tomorrow, Thursday, is the beginning of Count Week. If you find
any uncommon birds in the next seven days, please report them here or
directly to me.

There have been some unusual birds found in Fort Bragg recently. I
suspect there are others in areas that don't get birded much, so hopes
are high for this year's Count.

Teams are filling up, but there are a couple of areas that could take
more people. E-mail me or text me (7070-734-0791) ASAP if you want to
join.

We have chartered the Ambush for a "mini-pelagic" in the afternoon. If
the sea calms down enough, we will depart at 1:00 from the Anchor
Charters dock at the foot of North Harbor Drive. Cost is $40 per
person and anyone is welcome. We usually go five miles offshore to the
edge of the Circle, put out scent and wait for birds. Often we see
whales as well, unless we get socked in with fog like last year... If
you want to go on the boat, be at the dock by 12:45 PM. Â

--
Cheers,
Tim BrayCAFB Compiler

__._,_.___

Date: 12/24/18 8:32 pm
From: <radamson...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] photos of new Tennessee Warbler
I have posted on the eBird list photos of the Tennessee Warbler seen this
morning at my feeder. If there was any real doubt about having multiple
Tennessees in Fort Bragg, this one looks different from the bird I
photographed on 12/4. This current bird
(https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50925047) has distinct wing bars and
the dark line through the eye is prominent, while the bird photographed on
12/4 (https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50423711) had a much plainer face
pattern and the wing bars were hardly present. I have not tried to find
the third bird reported by Adrian Hinkle on South Lincoln.
Roger Adamson
Fort Bragg

Date: 12/24/18 11:20 am
From: Roger Adamson <radamson...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Fwd: Fort Bragg Virginia's Warbler
FYI
Roger Adamson

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Adrian Hinkle <adrian.hinkle...>
> Date: December 23, 2018 at 6:05:31 PM PST
> To: <radamson...>
> Subject: Re: Fort Bragg Virginia's Warbler
>
> Hi Roger,
>
> I'm the original finder of the Virginia's Warbler. Thanks for sending the report to the Mendo Birds listserve. I recently moved to the Bay Area and had never been to Mendocino County before, so I'm not a member of the listserve. However, I did have the following interesting sightings in Fort Bragg on that day (12/17); if you wish to forward this email to the listserve, that would be appreciated.
>
> Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - one juvenile was at the corner of Perkins & Winfred
> White-throated Sparrow - at least 3 scattered around the town
> Swamp Sparrow - one heard in cattail marsh downhill from corner of Winfred St & Brandon Way
> Tennessee Warbler - 3 (!) around town; one continuing in Rose Memorial Park (thanks Roger!), one on N. Lincoln St. between E. Alder & Cedar St, and one on Park St. north of Willow St.
> Nashville Warbler - 3
> Virginia's Warbler - 1 at corner of Perkins & Winfred.
> Palm Warbler - 1 on Brandon Way south of Winfred
> Western Tanager - a male in alley south of Bush St. and west of Perkins
>
> Most of these birds at probably over-wintering, so hopefully the late report isn't too big of a problem. Most of these were photographed and added to eBird. Virginia's Warbler details here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50752598
>
> I did run into a local birded named Chris, but we couldn't refind the Virginia's after my original sighting. But it was refound Wednesday, and I'm sure it will spend the winter.
>
> Best,
> Adrian Hinkle
> Berkeley, CA

Back to top
Date: 12/24/18 10:05 am
From: Roger Adamson <radamson...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Dec 24 2018
Fort Bragg
Tennessee Warbler was at my suet feeder (163 McKinley) several times this morning in company of at least two Myrtle Warblers, one Audubon and one distinctly gray-headed Orange-crowned Warbler. This is very near where Adrian Hinkle reported a Tennessee on North Lincoln last Monday.
New Yard bird!
Roger Adamson
Fort Bragg

Date: 12/22/18 5:21 pm
From: Kate Marianchild <katem...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Townsend's solitaire
Saturday, December 22, 2018. 11:30-12 noon – Today I saw a Townsend’s solitaire northwest of Ukiah, about 4 miles west of Parducci Winery on Parducci Road on the land known as “Heartland.” I first saw it moving around in a madrone tree and possibly eating madrone berries. Unable to identify it at a distance, I went and got my scope. When I came back 20 minutes later it was in the top of an oak, and then moved to the top of a fir. I watched it for about 20 minutes before moving on. I got a pretty dark photo through my scope with my cell phone.

Kate

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kate Marianchild
Author, Secrets of the Oak Woodlands: Plants and Animals among California’s Oaks
www.katemarianchild.com <http://www.katemarianchild.com/>
707-463-0839 (h)
707-472-1930 (c)
1211 Parducci Road
Ukiah, CA 95482

Back to top
Date: 12/22/18 4:23 pm
From: <radamson...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Fort Bragg Virginia's Warbler
This is a late "heads up" about a locally rare bird. There was a
Virginia's Warbler reported on eBird Monday, Dec 17, and again on
Wednesday, Dec 19, in Fort Bragg. Another birder saw the report and told
me about it-I later saw it on my eBird alert. For the first instance it
was seen at the intersection of Perkins Way and Winifred and the second
report was only given as "Fort Bragg Neighborhoods-North". However, I was
in the area and spoke with the birders on Wednesday who said the
Virginia's Warbler was seen at the west end of Winifred, north side of the
street. I also had a very brief, unsatisfactory view of it flying away on
Wednesday afternoon.

Both the first birder who found the Virginia's Warbler, and the two who
arrived on Wednesday to refind it are from the bay area, and none of them
reported to Mendobirds or, apparently any other listserv. Unfortunately,
it has become very common that birders report on eBird and expect that to
be sufficient to get the word out.

It is a really good bird for this area-so get out there and find it.
Good birding.
Roger Adamson
Fort Bragg

Date: 12/22/18 12:43 pm
From: <feather...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Red-breasted Sapsucker, Virgin Creek
There is a continuing Red-breasted Sapsucker hanging out at the trailhead
to the 'Enchanted Trail' at Virgin Creek. A lone Downy or Hairy Woodpecker
was also present, as were myriad American Robins and Yellow-rumped
Warblers, a Northern Flicker and the ever-present EUSTs

Happy Birding!

Lisa Walker-Roseman, Fort Bragg-Cleone

Date: 12/21/18 11:58 am
From: François Christen <fogrover...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Golden eagle
Yesterday my wife spotted what we think is a golden eagle on the madrone tree outside our house. We’re novices at birding, so we may be wrong. We live on the Nash Ranch near Philo.

Francois and Ann Christen

Philo CA

Back to top
Date: 12/21/18 10:55 am
From: George Chaniot <chaniot...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Re: Continuing Black-and-White Warbler
Fri, 21 Dec 2018 — 10:15-10:24 Today I refound the continuing BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER at Oak Manor Park in Ukiah. It was foraging rather high in the large oaks to the west of the parking area and just around the bend in the path beyond the picnic tables. It was loosely associating with a large group of Bushtits, but it stood out by its habit of making longer flights between branches. After about 8 minutes it flew off to the west into some junipers in the trailer park.
George Chaniot
Potter Valley, CA

Date: 12/19/18 9:48 am
From: Roger Foote <rogeletf...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Continuing Black-and-white Warbler
Tuesday, 18 December 2018, 2 p.m.
The Black-and-white Warbler found by George Gibbs last week at Oak Manor
Park continues, 39.146236, -123.193121. I refound the bird in one of the
large oaks directly west of the small parking lot at Oak Manor Park near
the intersection of Oak Manor Dr and E Gobbi St, Ukiah. It was working the
the smaller ends of the limbs.

Roger Foote
Ukiah CA

Join us on Facebook!