mendobirds
Received From Subject
4/18/24 6:07 pm Lisa D. Walker, (Feather Forestwalker) via groups.io <feather...> [Mendobirds] Long-tailed Duck continues, Virgin Creek
4/13/24 12:40 pm Jessica Morton <jessica...> [Mendobirds] Cedar Waxwings final update
4/13/24 12:28 pm Jessica Morton <jessica...> [Mendobirds] Waxwings have moved on
4/13/24 11:54 am Jessica Morton <jessica...> [Mendobirds] Cedar Waxwing flock
4/11/24 4:19 pm Jackie Wollenberg <jwoll...> Re: [Mendobirds] Orchard Oriole at Sunset Way and Ocean Drive
4/9/24 6:03 pm Peter Pyle <ppyle...> Re: [Mendobirds] Orchard Oriole at Sunset Way and Ocean Drive
4/9/24 6:02 pm Peter Pyle <ppyle...> [Mendobirds] Orchard Oriole at Sunset Way and Ocean Drive
4/3/24 11:26 am Lisa D. Walker, (Feather Forestwalker) <feather...> [Mendobirds] Laughing Gull deceased
3/31/24 9:55 am Roger Adamson <radamson...> [Mendobirds] Laughing Gull Fort Bragg
3/30/24 5:13 pm Kris <krabster40...> Re: [Mendobirds] Laughing Gull at Virgin Creek
3/30/24 5:06 pm Tim Bray <tbray...> Re: [Mendobirds] Laughing Gull at Virgin Creek
3/30/24 10:49 am Matt Franks <mistermicrophone...> [Mendobirds] Laughing Gull at Virgin Creek
3/26/24 8:12 pm Tim Bray <tbray...> Re: [Mendobirds] STAL chase Tuesday
3/25/24 12:21 pm jackson_us <jackson2...> [Mendobirds] Brown Pelicans, birdsong, and Ospreys
3/24/24 4:19 pm Tim Bray <tbray...> [Mendobirds] STAL chase Tuesday
3/24/24 9:38 am Chuck & Barbara Vaughn via groups.io <cevaughn...> [Mendobirds] Ukiah Wastewater Treatment Plant closed to birding
3/22/24 8:22 am Lisa D. Walker, (Feather Forestwalker) <feather...> [Mendobirds] LTDU still in Virgin Creek
3/21/24 5:27 pm Tim Bray <tbray...> [Mendobirds] Short-tailed Albatross chase

Back to top
Date: 4/18/24 6:07 pm
From: Lisa D. Walker, (Feather Forestwalker) via groups.io <feather...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Long-tailed Duck continues, Virgin Creek

Hi, all,

The Long-tailed Duck in Virgin Creek continues. She's doing well in
spite of being in the middle of a bad molt; she was having a hard time
flying last time I saw her, but she is holding her own and sticking
close to the Johnston House. Some friends and I caught a distant glimpse
of her as she rested on the creek bank this morning, east of the bridge.

Lisa Walker-Roseman,
Fort Bragg-Cleone

Back to top
Date: 4/13/24 12:40 pm
From: Jessica Morton <jessica...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Cedar Waxwings final update
Refound at 12:37 on power lines across from 372 S. Whipple, at least 100 briefly assembled and soon dispersed again. I’ll stop now.

Back to top
Date: 4/13/24 12:28 pm
From: Jessica Morton <jessica...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Waxwings have moved on
Just checked back; no sign of the flock there. Will update if I can refind.

Back to top
Date: 4/13/24 11:54 am
From: Jessica Morton <jessica...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Cedar Waxwing flock
Seen at 459 S. McPherson, just off Chestnut, from 11:15 ongoing through noon (I was transfixed) in bare tree & on powerline 75+ Cedar Waxwings facing east and/or preening in the cold wind.

Back to top
Date: 4/11/24 4:19 pm
From: Jackie Wollenberg <jwoll...>
Subject: Re: [Mendobirds] Orchard Oriole at Sunset Way and Ocean Drive
I’m slipping in to tell youallthat we’re having a memorial potluck dinner at Caspar CC to celebrate the generous life of a great birder, Art Morley. 6:00 this Saturday. Please join us.. Music by Mike Wollenberg, lynn and Bing.

> On Apr 9, 2024, at 6:03 PM, Peter Pyle <ppyle...> wrote:
>
> Sorry, about a mile S of Fort Bragg (20 and Hwy 1),
>
>> On 4/9/2024 6:02 PM, <ppyle...> wrote:
>> SY male singing away in the leafless apple(?) tree across Ocean from Sunset. It then flew up into the near Doug Fir with the pines.
>>
>> Cheers, Peter

Back to top
Date: 4/9/24 6:03 pm
From: Peter Pyle <ppyle...>

On 4/9/2024 6:02 PM, <ppyle...> wrote:
> SY male singing away in the leafless apple(?) tree across Ocean from
> Sunset. It then flew up into the near Doug Fir with the pines.
>
> Cheers, Peter

Back to top

Date: 4/3/24 11:26 am
From: Lisa D. Walker, (Feather Forestwalker) <feather...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Laughing Gull deceased

This morning, I found the Laughing Gull on Virgin Creek Beach after
having been killed and eaten by a Peregrine Falcon earlier in the
morning. What remained were its wings and head. I have photos if anyone
would like to see.

Lisa D Walker-Roseman,
Fort Bragg-Cleone
--
Lisa D Walker-Roseman, Feather's Fotos
https://facebook.com/PhotographyByFeather

Back to top
Date: 3/31/24 9:55 am
From: Roger Adamson <radamson...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Laughing Gull Fort Bragg
31 March2024
I refound the Laughing Gull at Pudding Creek around 7 this morning. Lisa reported it flew off to the north around 8 am and she found it at Virgin Creek about 8:30. Tim Steurer also found it on Virgin Creek beach about 9:30.
Good birding.
Roger Adamson
Fort Bragg

Back to top
Date: 3/30/24 5:13 pm
From: Kris <krabster40...>
Subject: Re: [Mendobirds] Laughing Gull at Virgin Creek
Experienced them recent in FL. They really sound like they’re laughing.
> On Mar 30, 2024, at 5:06 PM, Tim Bray <tbray...> wrote:
>

> Catherine Keegan spotted the bird first and put me on it. We went through a couple of misidentifications, as is typical for me with Gulls, before Fowler straightened us out. In my defense, I think that might be my first Laughing Gull, as I have never birded the Gulf Coast or the SE Atlantic shore.
>
> Photos on our checklist: https://ebird.org/checklist/S166525384
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Tim
> Mendocino Coast Audubon Society
> Ecology Hour
> Oak & Thorn
> Facebook: Oak and Thorn
>
> On 3/30/2024 10:49 AM, Matt Franks wrote:
>> Laughing Gull at Virgin Creek beach, found by Tim Bray and identified from photo by Rob Fowler. Just flew off, then flew back overhead.

Back to top
Date: 3/30/24 5:06 pm
From: Tim Bray <tbray...>

Mendocino Coast Audubon Society <http://mendocinocoastaudubon.org/>
Ecology Hour <https://ecologyhour.wordpress.com/>
Oak & Thorn <http://oakandthorn.wordpress.com>
Facebook: Oak and Thorn <https://www.facebook.com/oakandthorn>

Date: 3/30/24 10:49 am
From: Matt Franks <mistermicrophone...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Laughing Gull at Virgin Creek

Date: 3/26/24 8:12 pm
From: Tim Bray <tbray...>
Subject: Re: [Mendobirds] STAL chase Tuesday
We did not find the Short-tailed Albatross today. Best bird was a Laysan
Albatross that was initially coy but eventually made multiple passes for
good views. No other rarities found.

Our chum lines attracted a lot of birds and there was a lot of action to
watch. Many Black-footed Albatrosses came to us, and every arriving bird
got our hopes up, looking for that big pink bill... We also found eight
species of Gull, plus two hybrids, and the usual offshore birds.

I'll post a link to the eBird Trip Report in a few days after we get
some photos uploaded. Weather was great and birds were obliging so there
will be many photos!

Date: 3/25/24 12:21 pm
From: jackson_us <jackson2...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Brown Pelicans, birdsong, and Ospreys
Anchor Bay 3/25/24

Hi All,

Doug Forsell reported seeing five Brown Pelicans flying north on Saturday,
3/23, north of Anchor Bay.

Lovely birdsong this morning - a purple finch and a Pacific wren to name the
best singers! I'm happy to report that the Ospreys I watch through a
spotting scope in Anchor Bay are back and rebuilding the nest. Here's a poor
photo - iPhone held up to my scope - for you to see.

Jeanne Jackson

Back to top

Date: 3/24/24 9:38 am
From: Chuck & Barbara Vaughn via groups.io <cevaughn...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Ukiah Wastewater Treatment Plant closed to birding
Greetings Mendobirders- As some of know, the Ukiah WWTP is now closed to
birding. I am told that there are presently three active construction
projects out there and that the closure may last into the summer. When it
reopens it will hopefully be posted here.

Chuck

--
Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
Ukiah, CA

Back to top
Date: 3/22/24 8:22 am
From: Lisa D. Walker, (Feather Forestwalker) <feather...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] LTDU still in Virgin Creek

Hi all, my friend Bill reports that the Long-tailed Duck is still in
Virgin Creek

Date: 3/21/24 5:27 pm
From: Tim Bray <tbray...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Short-tailed Albatross chase
An immature Short-tailed Albatross was photographed today over Noyo
Canyon. There is some interest in organizing a chase boat and Tuesday
morning looks like a window of decent conditions; current forecast
showing seas of 7 feet at 11 seconds with light wind. Boat availability
and cost are uncertain at this point, will probably depend on how many
people we can pull together.

If you are interested and could possibly go, let me know ASAP. Please
reply directly to me, not to Mendobirds.