mendobirds
Received From Subject
8/11/18 8:29 pm <feather...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> [Mendobirds] Imm. Wood Duck drake/ Virgin Creek
8/11/18 7:58 pm <radamson...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> [Mendobirds] white Black Oystercatcher chick Mendocino
8/8/18 2:27 am Tim Bray <tbray...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> [Mendobirds] Mendocino Pelagic field trips
8/5/18 5:49 pm <feather...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> [Mendobirds] Fresh Juvenile Semi-palmated Sandpiper
8/3/18 7:54 pm <feather...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> [Mendobirds] apologies
8/3/18 6:39 pm <feather...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> [Mendobirds] Cackling Goose, Ten Mile Beach
8/3/18 4:35 pm Tim Bray <tbray...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> [Mendobirds] Raptor movement
8/3/18 4:08 pm Sarah Grimes <zewa...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> [Mendobirds] Red-breasted Nuthatches Little River Airport Rd
8/1/18 8:11 pm <radamson...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> [Mendobirds] White Black Oystercatcher Mendo Headlands
8/1/18 10:52 am <feather...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> [Mendobirds] Cackling Goose and Lesser Yellowlegs Virgin Creek Beach
7/30/18 2:38 pm NANCY AND EUGENE HUNN <enhunn323...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> [Mendobirds] Redwood Region Ornithological Society (RROS) Bodega Bay pelagic trips
7/27/18 5:54 pm <feather...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> [Mendobirds] Ruddy Turnstone/Long-billed Curlew
7/24/18 2:42 pm Sarah Flaim <redwoodsinger...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> [Mendobirds] Another Black Oystercatcher chick in Fort Bragg and gull chicks
7/24/18 11:25 am J Rosen <zanshinart...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> [Mendobirds] blue gray gnatcatchers, south Ukiah
7/23/18 7:35 pm <radamson...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> [Mendobirds] Tufted Puffin off Mendo Headlands and white Oystercatcher
7/23/18 6:31 pm <feather...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> Re: [Mendobirds] Re: Drone chased by birds
7/23/18 6:28 pm ' \'LFK\' Liquid Fusion Kayaking' <bearaware...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> [Mendobirds] Re: Drone chased by birds
7/23/18 12:28 pm Roger Adamson <radamson...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> [Mendobirds] Tufted Puffin
7/22/18 8:54 pm Kate Marianchild <katem...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> [Mendobirds] ACWO with crossed bill
7/22/18 8:28 pm Kitty Norris <cmnorris...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> Re: [Mendobirds] 21 July 2018 Rose-breasted Grosbeak in my yard, Ukiah
7/21/18 7:57 pm Jeff Laxier <bearaware...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> [Mendobirds] Drone chased by birds
7/21/18 1:00 pm David Bengston <davebengston...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> [Mendobirds] 21 July 2018 Rose-breasted Grosbeak in my yard, Ukiah
7/15/18 9:36 pm <radamson...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> [Mendobirds] Etsel Ridge July 13
7/15/18 4:54 pm <radamson...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> [Mendobirds] white Black Oystercatcher photos
7/15/18 10:56 am <feather...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> [Mendobirds] Cackling Goose, Virgin Creek Beack

Back to top
Date: 8/11/18 8:29 pm
From: <feather...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Imm. Wood Duck drake/ Virgin Creek
Early this morning (around 7 AM), a single immature male Wood Duck was
hanging around with the mallards and what appear to be mallard hybrids in
Virgin Creek (MacKerricher State Park) on the west side of the little
bridge.

There were Western and Least Sandpipers, Killdeer, a few Semi-palmated
Plovers, California, Western and Heerman's Gulls, Turkey Vultures, Common
Ravens, a single Black-bellied Plover, Barn Swallows, a Great Egret,
Savannah, White-crowned and Song Sparrows, White-tailed Kites (2), Black
Phoebes...and along the Enchanted Trail, American Robins, Anna's
Hummingbirds, Pacific-slope Flycatchers, Acorn, Hairy and Downy
Woodpeckers, more ravens, Olive-sided Flycatchers and I am sure there were
other birds that I have forgotten :)

Happy Birding,

Lisa Walker-Roseman (Feather)
Fort Bragg-Cleone, CA

Listowners: mailto:<MENDOBIRDS-owner...>
Turn off email delivery: mailto:<MENDOBIRDS-nomail...>
Resume email delivery: mailto:<MENDOBIRDS-normal...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
<Mendobirds-digest...>
<Mendobirds-fullfeatured...>

<Mendobirds-unsubscribe...>

Back to top
Date: 8/11/18 7:58 pm
From: <radamson...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] white Black Oystercatcher chick Mendocino
The white Black Oystercatcher chick on the southwest corner of the
Mendocino Headlands is still with us. It and it's normal gray sibling were
more difficult to find and photograph today because they are staying on
the southwest side of the rock facing the ocean. They were just visible
from more than 100m away to the northwest (so looking southeast). Both
chicks appear to be thriving and are being fed by both adults. Photos at
the eBird list:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47794171
Only other bird of note was a Wandering Tattler working in the sea palm.

Roger Adamson
Fort Bragg

Date: 8/8/18 2:27 am
From: Tim Bray <tbray...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Mendocino Pelagic field trips
Mendocino Coast Audubon Society will offer two Pelagic seabirding
trips this fall.

First will be an all-day trip on Sunday, September 16, out of Noyo
Harbor, Fort Bragg, led by Rob Fowler.

We plan to assemble at 7 AM and depart soon thereafter, spend about 10
hours at sea, returning around 5 PM. Ocean conditions permitting, we
may go 30 to 40 miles offshore. We have chartered the Trek II, the
largest and fastest boat in Noyo Harbor and a great birding platform.

Upwelling off the Mendocino coast brings nutrients and food to the sea
surface, which in turn brings a lot of bird activity to this part of
the ocean at this time of year. On September trips we regularly see
Laysan and Black-footed Albatross, Northern Fulmar, several species of
Shearwater and Storm-Petrel, 3 species of Jaeger, Tufted Puffin,
Black-legged Kittiwake, Sabine's Gull, and Common and Arctic Tern.
During fall migration season rarities are possible, and a full-day
trip offers excellent chances.

The cost will be $150 per person and advance reservations are
required. Contact Chuck Vaughn, <cevaughn...> 707-462-8137 or
Tim Bray, <tbray...> (707) 734-0791 for more information.

One week later, Sunday September 23, we will run a half-day trip from
7 AM to noon. This trip normally goes out 10-12 miles offshore, over
the submarine Noyo Canyon, where we often find many of the same
species as the full-day trip. It is a great introduction to pelagic
birding, and we often encounter several kinds of marine mammals as
well - from Northern Fur Seals to Blue Whales. David Jensen will lead.

Cost will be $65 per person. Advance reservations are required. We may
charter a different vessel for this trip, depending on the numbers, so
contact us soon if you are interested.

--
Cheers,
Tim

__._,_.___

Listowners: mailto:<MENDOBIRDS-owner...>
Membership and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a blank
email to these addresses:
Turn off email delivery: mailto:<MENDOBIRDS-nomail...>
Resume email delivery: mailto:<MENDOBIRDS-normal...>

[IMAGE]

Visit Your Group

Yahoo! Groups • Privacy • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use
__,_._,___

Back to top
Date: 8/5/18 5:49 pm
From: <feather...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Fresh Juvenile Semi-palmated Sandpiper
Virgin Creek (MacKerricher State Park, Fort Bragg-Cleone, CA), foraging
for food in the creek near the mouth on the beach, around 7:45 AM or so

photos here:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47678481

Happy Birding!

Lisa D Walker-Roseman

Date: 8/3/18 7:54 pm
From: <feather...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] apologies
I do not know how five emails containing the same message was sent from my
computer. Might have been the cats. I apologize for the apparent spam

Lisa Walker-Roseman, Fort Bragg

Date: 8/3/18 6:39 pm
From: <feather...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Cackling Goose, Ten Mile Beach
As I was leaving via Ward Avenue this morning, a Cackling Goose, Aleutian
type flew in and landed near me. I got photos through the fog that had come
in after my walk..... earlier, there was a Glaucous Gull, a lone
Long-billed Curlew, several Whimbrels including a really fat one, a few
Sanderlings, a lot of California and Heerman's Gulls, and what appear to be
the first of the new Western Gull babies with their parents.... Saw Common
Murres well out to sea, a lot of Common Ravens on the beach near Ward Ave.,
a couple of Semi-palmated Plovers, and not much else yet.

Happy Shorebirding! :)

Lisa Walker-Roseman, Fort Bragg-

PS. also of note: Though I have seen their tracks and wondered if they
were Ca Ground Squirrel or not, a Striped Skunk was also on the beach,
foraging among the seaweed

Date: 8/3/18 4:35 pm
From: Tim Bray <tbray...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Raptor movement
2 August 2018 - A Cooper's Hawk passed over Middle Ridge in Albion,
soaring in big loops high up near a Turkey Vulture, headed south. I
think that's the first migrant of the season for me. The big surge
will happen in September but it seems the birds are already beginning
to move around.

--
Tim Bray
Middle Ridge, Albion

__._,_.___

Date: 8/3/18 4:08 pm
From: Sarah Grimes <zewa...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Red-breasted Nuthatches Little River Airport Rd
Red-breasted Nuthatches were working the trees around my home 1.5 miles up LRAR last winter through spring..I didn’t hear them for the last few months they are back today.

Sarah Grimes

Date: 8/1/18 8:11 pm
From: <radamson...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] White Black Oystercatcher Mendo Headlands
The white chick, a leucistic Black Oystercatcher, is thriving just off the
Mendocino Headlands. It was first reported (Dave Jensen) about 2 weeks ago
and appears to be doing well along with a normal colored sibling. I spent
an hour this afternoon with Chris L watching for it and we had several
views of it and fewer views of it's normal sibling. Again, it is directly
south of the southwest parking area (near the Monument) out on the Mendo
Headlands.
photos on the eBird list:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47597036
Roger Adamson
Fort Bragg

Date: 8/1/18 10:52 am
From: <feather...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Cackling Goose and Lesser Yellowlegs Virgin Creek Beach
Yesterday, I had two juvenile Lesser Yellowlegs at MacKerricher State
Park's Virgin Creek Beach. I have seen this species before inland, but
never on the coast... got my first photos ever, of this species yesterday,
too. They can be seen here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47583900

This morning, the Cackling Goose that's been hanging around at the beach
was actually on the beach with the Canada Geese (two of which were
fighting) and they were foraging in the tide pools as well as on the
shore....

Happy Birding!

Lisa D Walker-Roseman (Feather Forestwalker), Fort Bragg

Date: 7/30/18 2:38 pm
From: NANCY AND EUGENE HUNN <enhunn323...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Redwood Region Ornithological Society (RROS) Bodega Bay pelagic trips
Hello,

RROS is offering three fall pelagic trips out of Bodega Bay to Bodega Canyon and the Cordell Banks aboard the New Sea Angler: August 19, September 9, and October 7, all Sundays. Cost is $150 (plus a membership). For details contact Gene Hunn at <enhunn323...> or consult our website.

Gene Hunn, for RROS

Back to top
Date: 7/27/18 5:54 pm
From: <feather...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Ruddy Turnstone/Long-billed Curlew
Virgin Creek Beach (MacKerricher State Park, Cleone-Fort Bragg, CA).

A single Long-billed Curlew and a single Ruddy Turnstone were among the
highlights at Virgin Creek Beach this morning

along the trail lots of Anna's Hummingbirds and Pygmy Nuthatches were
noisily chasing each other and feeding...

On the beach were two Black-bellied Plovers, but out on the long offshore
rock north end of the beach were at least five more.... (nice to see they
are using that rock again and hanging around)... got a good Least Sanpiper
and a few Western Sandpipers, some Sanderlings, Whimbrels...

still waiting for the Willets and Wandering Tattlers...

A photo-less list is here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47486037

Good Birding!

Lisa D Walker-Roseman (Feather Forestwalker), Fort Bragg-Cleone

Date: 7/24/18 2:42 pm
From: Sarah Flaim <redwoodsinger...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Another Black Oystercatcher chick in Fort Bragg and gull chicks
Great view with a scope of another Black Oystercatcher chick ( older chick but got to see parents bringing in mussels and a crab)!....and a Western Gull and 3 of her chicks.

West from light at McDonalds toward Todds point. Left on Pacific. Right at the end toward the ocean. Sea stack straight ahead has all the birds! Got some great video digiscoped with iPhone😄

SarahWagner -Fort Bragg PT
Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 14, 2018, at 6:31 PM, 'David Jensen' <djensen...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> wrote:
>
> July 14 2018. During our weekly survey today we observed two freshly hatched BLOY chicks on a small island southwest of Mendocino Village – one was the typical gray and black, the other was white. We saw a similarly colored chick on this same island about 5 years ago, but it failed to survive to fledge. About ten years ago we regularly saw an adult leucistic BLOY at Point Cabrillo, which is less than two miles away from where these pale chicks have been observed. Perhaps leucism has a genetic component? I recently read that diet matters, will need to do more reading. For now, I hope this pale (and very obvious to predators) chick can survive to fledge.

Back to top
Date: 7/24/18 11:25 am
From: J Rosen <zanshinart...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] blue gray gnatcatchers, south Ukiah
Hi all, not a rarity, but my backyard bird list goes back to 1999, and for the first time ever a pair of blue gray gnatcatchers graced me with their activity in my south Ukiah backyard this morning, gleaning off Russian sage and snowball bush and stopping to preen.

Janet Rosen
janetrosen.com
"Peace will enter when hate is gone" - Percy Mayfield

Back to top
Date: 7/23/18 7:35 pm
From: <radamson...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Tufted Puffin off Mendo Headlands and white Oystercatcher
I was scoping the Black Oystercatchers off of the southwest corner of
Mendocino Headlands when a small black bird flew by in the background.
Unfortunately, today's intermittent fog made it a little difficult and it
was distant-so enough for photography excuses. It was a Tufted Puffin
flying very fast from south to north. I did get "record" shots of it. This
shows the virtue of carrying the camera at all times! Photos now on the
eBird report:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47406983

The other news is that the white Black Oystercatcher chick is still
present on the near offshore rock just south of the monument on Mendo
Headlands. Good news since the Oystercatchers generally are not doing well
this year.

Roger Adamson
Fort Bragg

Date: 7/23/18 6:31 pm
From: <feather...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [Mendobirds] Re: Drone chased by birds
Illegal activity can be reported without engaging the perps by calling
this number:

916-358-1300

That is the dispatch for rangers throughout the state of California; they
get on it quick and will handle the perps with professionalism.

On Mon, 23 Jul 2018 18:28:09 -0700, "' \'LFK\' Liquid Fusion Kayaking'
wrote:
> Again birds leave their young to fight off vermin, this time the birds
> knocked the drone into the water. Unfortunately the drone recovered and
> flew away. You too can see this happen if you go out to Big River and
> look to the rock islands on the North side of where the river flow to
the
> sea.I will now stop bothering you all with this info.Good day,Jeff
Laxier

Date: 7/23/18 6:28 pm
From: ' \'LFK\' Liquid Fusion Kayaking' <bearaware...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Re: Drone chased by birds

--
Jeff Laxier
(707) 962-1623(office)

The richness I achieve comes from Nature, the source of my inspiration.
-Claude Monet

Back to top
Date: 7/23/18 12:28 pm
From: Roger Adamson <radamson...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Tufted Puffin
12:20 July 23
A single Tufted puffin just flew past the southwest corner of the Mendocino Headlands. Photos to follow.

ROger Adamson
Fort Bragg

Date: 7/22/18 8:54 pm
From: Kate Marianchild <katem...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] ACWO with crossed bill
Mary Buckley sent me this photo. She thinks this bird has been around for months so it obviously isn’t starving.
Thoughts anyone?

Kate

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kate Marianchild
Author, Secrets of the Oak Woodlands: Plants and Animals among California’s Oaks
www.katemarianchild.com <http://www.katemarianchild.com/>
707-463-0839 (h)
707-472-1930 (c)
1211 Parducci Road
Ukiah, CA 95482

Back to top
Date: 7/22/18 8:28 pm
From: Kitty Norris <cmnorris...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [Mendobirds] 21 July 2018 Rose-breasted Grosbeak in my yard, Ukiah
Hi Dave
I’m watching my grosbeaks as well.
You may recall I have seen what seems to be a hybrid of the two grosbeaks, per my online search. It has unusual head and chest markings and also sings a fancier song, like the web described. I’ve not seen them this year but they were present the past two. They came here much earlier in the season and stayed throughout the last two summers. I hope they show up either here or there, at your place.
Lots of gorgeous bluebirds up here, and in a favorite meadow in Willits, this year.
Kitty

> On Jul 21, 2018, at 1:00 PM, David Bengston <davebengston...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...> wrote:
>
> This morning I watched my yard very closely for the first time in 6 weeks (4 hrs). There have been increasing numbers of Black-headed Grosbeaks, and I am constantly looking for Rose-breasted GBs among them. At one point there were 10 - 12 Grosbeaks present and I spotted one with a streaked breast, not uncommon. But, then I noticed a reddish wash on the bird, and there was no yellow under the base of the wing which would indicate a Black-headed. The beak was darker gray than I like for Rose-breasted, but I am going with a 1st year male Rose-breasted Grosbeak at this point. I saw it show up 3 times at the feeder today.
>
> Interesting side light — I recently watched 3 young Grosbeaks going after the water in the Oriole & Hummingbird feeders.
>
> Dave Bengston
> Ukiah

Back to top

Date: 7/15/18 9:36 pm
From: <radamson...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Etsel Ridge July 13
On Friday, July 13, I drove along Etsel Ridge Road in Mendocino National
Forest east of Covelo. It was a long day leaving Fort Bragg at 3:45 am and
returning home at 6 pm. I got to the Eel River campground about 6:15 and
topped Mexico Ridge around 7:30. Highlights of the day were several
sightings of Mt Quail, gorgeous Lazuli Bunting, a single Sooty Grouse
(photographed near Milsap Flat) and two White-headed Woodpeckers (Spruce
Grove and near Monkey Rock). Mt Quail, WHWoodpecker, Cassin's Finch, and
Green-tailed Towhee (Brushy Point) were all county birds for me, so it was
a good day despite lots of dust and some smoke from the fires in the
north. Mammals included one Gray Fox, one Jack Rabbit, many chipmunks,
and, best of all, an adult Black Bear in the road nearby.
Good Birding to you!
Roger Adamson
Fort Bragg

Date: 7/15/18 4:54 pm
From: <radamson...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] white Black Oystercatcher photos
Thanks to Dave Jensen for his report of the white Black Oystercatcher. I
got to Mendo Headlands and found it to be very photogenic. I did not see a
sibling chick this afternoon-of course the dark one should be harder to
find! Photos on my eBird report:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47215622

Roger Adamson
Fort Bragg

Date: 7/15/18 10:56 am
From: <feather...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] Cackling Goose, Virgin Creek Beack
This morning around 7:15 AM there was a single Cackling Goose among a
flock of Canada Geese foraging among the Sea Rocket flowers on Virgin Creek
Beach.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47211362

Happy Birding!

Lisa Walker-Roseman