monterey-bay-birders
Received From Subject
8/17/19 12:32 pm Lisa Larson <lisafaylarson...> Re: [MBBIRDS] sooty shearwaters
8/17/19 10:50 am Sharon Hull <plants...> [MBBIRDS] Wandering Tattler
8/17/19 8:40 am Janet L Leonard <leonard.janetl...> [MBBIRDS] phalaropes in Elkhorn Slough
8/17/19 8:16 am Heidi Sandkuhle <mrskuhle...> [MBBIRDS] sooty shearwaters
8/12/19 9:25 pm Alex Rinkert <arinkert12...> [MBBIRDS] Seabright today
8/12/19 11:39 am Madeline Spencer <mmfrodo...> [MBBIRDS] Red-necked Phalaropes
8/10/19 1:04 pm Anne Spence <aspencerrt...> [MBBIRDS] Hudsonian Godwit
8/9/19 7:05 pm larry corridon <larry961357...> [MBBIRDS] Target birds for a visitor from the east coast in early September
8/8/19 8:57 am DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...> [MBBIRDS] The Fall Pelagic Season
8/7/19 6:14 pm arinkert12 <arinkert12...> [MBBIRDS] Shearwaters now
8/6/19 11:52 pm Earl Lebow <hawkowl...> [MBBIRDS] Fwd: Black Tern Photos
8/6/19 11:49 pm Earl Lebow <hawkowl...> [MBBIRDS] Black Tern
8/6/19 11:42 pm Earl Lebow <hawkowl...> [MBBIRDS] Black Tern, Salinas River WR
8/6/19 9:00 pm Alex Rinkert <arinkert12...> [MBBIRDS] SCBC field trip: Sooty Shearwaters
8/6/19 6:04 pm larry corridon <larry961357...> [MBBIRDS] Sooty Shearwater chase 8/7/19 at 1800 hrs
8/6/19 11:27 am 'Lisa Sheridan' via mbbirds <mbbirds...> [MBBIRDS] Fwd: Birding guide request at Rancho Del Oso
8/4/19 8:31 am dwbirdster <dwbirdster...> [MBBIRDS] Hudsonian godwit
8/3/19 7:40 pm Randy Wardle <wrwardle...> [MBBIRDS] August birding email for Santa Cruz County
8/3/19 5:25 pm Randy Wardle <wrwardle...> Fwd: [MBBIRDS] Hudsonian Godwit SRNWR
8/2/19 6:56 pm Kumaran Arul <karul2...> Re: [MBBIRDS] Shearwater Season
8/2/19 3:28 pm Kent Johnson <kentjohnson...> Re: [MBBIRDS] Hudsonian Godwit SRNWR
8/1/19 9:32 pm James Maughn <jamaughn...> [MBBIRDS] Weird Duck at Wilder Ranch Today
8/1/19 6:31 pm Mark Kudrav <mkudrav...> Re: [MBBIRDS] Hudsonian Godwit SRNWR
8/1/19 12:52 pm Rita Carratello <merops22...> [MBBIRDS] Hudsonian Godwit SRNWR
8/1/19 12:24 pm Don Roberson <creagrus...> [MBBIRDS] Hudsonian Godwit in MTY
7/31/19 10:00 am Kevin Condon <kevcomail...> [MBBIRDS] UCSC undergrad in need of camera lens for shooting birds
7/30/19 9:59 am Nelson Samuels <samnelo...> [MBBIRDS] Shearwater Season
7/25/19 12:28 pm Lee Jaffe <leejaffe54...> Re: [MBBIRDS] long tailed duck
7/25/19 12:00 pm 'Donald Glasco' via mbbirds <mbbirds...> Re: [MBBIRDS] long tailed duck
7/25/19 9:39 am Tom Zweng <tnzweng...> Re: [MBBIRDS] long tailed duck
7/25/19 6:57 am Shirley Murphy <smurphbird...> [MBBIRDS] long tailed duck
7/23/19 1:30 pm 'Barbara Novelli' via mbbirds <mbbirds...> [MBBIRDS] Curlews
7/22/19 7:31 pm Pete Sole <pete...> [MBBIRDS] Re: Red-footed Booby, RFI
7/20/19 4:34 pm larry corridon <larry961357...> [MBBIRDS] Birding Cape May N.J.
7/20/19 9:24 am Phil Brown <pdpbrown...> [MBBIRDS] Brant
7/18/19 3:45 pm James Maughn <jamaughn...> [MBBIRDS] Glaucous-winged gull seacliff pier

Back to top
Date: 8/17/19 12:32 pm
From: Lisa Larson <lisafaylarson...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] sooty shearwaters
Hi Birders!

Would you please send out an email when the Shearwaters are running? I keep
missing it. Last evening I looked in the wrong place!

Thanks 300,000!
- Lisa

On Sat, Aug 17, 2019, 8:16 AM Heidi Sandkuhle <mrskuhle...> wrote:

> Last evening Richard and I observed thousands of SOOTY SHEARWATERS from
> the bluff above the cement boat at Seacliff State Beach.
> They were circling, feeding, and briefly resting on the water, then
> joining a larger group further North.
> Always a spectacular sight.
> Heidi Sandkuhle Corralitos

> www.avg.com
> <#m_-2165093599161279988_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
>
> --
> For Monterey Rare Bird alerts call 831-250-4550
> ---
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mbbirds/CDBE24ABE33241B0BE11289D90332F10%40SandkuhlePC
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mbbirds/CDBE24ABE33241B0BE11289D90332F10%40SandkuhlePC?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

Back to top
Date: 8/17/19 10:50 am
From: Sharon Hull <plants...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Wandering Tattler
On shore boulders just south of Woodrow on west cliff dr
Sharon Hull
Bobbie Mayer

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 8/17/19 8:40 am
From: Janet L Leonard <leonard.janetl...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] phalaropes in Elkhorn Slough
Driving up Hwy 1 late yesterday afternoon, between 5 and 6, near Moss
Landing, I noticed that the salt marsh ponds along the road are full of
phalaropes, couldn't determine species since I was in heavy traffic and
unable to stop.

Jan Leonard

--
Janet L. Leonard

Back to top
Date: 8/17/19 8:16 am
From: Heidi Sandkuhle <mrskuhle...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] sooty shearwaters
Last evening Richard and I observed thousands of SOOTY SHEARWATERS from the bluff above the cement boat at Seacliff State Beach.
They were circling, feeding, and briefly resting on the water, then joining a larger group further North.
Always a spectacular sight.
Heidi Sandkuhle Corralitos

https://www.avg.com

Back to top
Date: 8/12/19 9:25 pm
From: Alex Rinkert <arinkert12...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Seabright today
This morning I walked Seabright SB and was quite surprised to see a
RED-FOOTED BOOBY loafing on the beach in one of the gull flocks. Based on
the bill pattern, it was the same booby that is seen daily at the Seacliff
SB pier. I think this is the first time it has been seen away from that
location, despite being present there from November 2018 to mid-January 2019
and then again from late May through now. Some photos and a sound recording
are here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58943782?view=photos

At Tyrrell Park a PACIFIC-SLOPE FLYCATCHER was still feeding three begging
young and two families of CALIFORNIA TOWHEES with recently fledged young
were nearby. Some recently fledged DARK-EYED JUNCOS were begging near Aldo's
at the harbor and a WESTERN GULL was begging from a rooftop in the
neighborhood up the street. The breeding season has ended for most species
but some continue their efforts into fall.

This evening I counted SOOTY SHEARWATERS streaming by Seabright from
6:00-7:45 pm, with the Ramers for a while. The stream was heading west for
the first two hours at around 1,800-3,250 per minute, then at 7:15 they came
back east in full force at up to 6,600 per minute! Eventually well over
100,000 began feeding right off the Walton Lighthouse and Twin Lakes SB very
close to shore. I've seen this many times before but still it is always an
amazing sight that is hard to describe in words. Even at a good distance
from the bluff above Seabright, there was so much shearwater activity that
the sound of splashing from the feeding frenzy was audible and loud enough
to drown out the sound of the crashing waves. Based on numerous counts
throughout the time I was there, I estimate about 260,000 flew by Seabright
this evening.

Alex Rinkert

Santa Cruz

Back to top
Date: 8/12/19 11:39 am
From: Madeline Spencer <mmfrodo...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Red-necked Phalaropes

Natural Bridges pond visible from parking lot at end of west Cliff : 6 RED-NECKED PHALAROPES, 11:30 AM.
Sent from my iPhone
Madeline Spencer

Back to top
Date: 8/10/19 1:04 pm
From: Anne Spence <aspencerrt...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Hudsonian Godwit
12:30
Still present at Salinas River National Refuge. Remember: a bit of a walk (.62 one way) bring your water, sunscreen & lock your car. I saw the HUDSONIAN GODWIT from you he second interpretation sign on far bank of NW beach trail pond. Also saw a SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER nearby. “Millions” of Red-necked Phalarope.
Sorry “Brian” you left right before.
Anne Spence
Watsonville

Back to top
Date: 8/9/19 7:05 pm
From: larry corridon <larry961357...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Target birds for a visitor from the east coast in early September
I’ve been in touch with a a birder from N.J. who has very kindly advised me about Cape May, N.J. He is visiting our area and the Central coast in early September. He has a few target birds and I know he would appreciate any advice about where he might see them while out here.

Western Screech Owl

Cassin’s Vireo

Vaux’s Swift

Mountain Quail: He will look on Tassajara Road (As he said, a long shot!)

Lawrence Goldfinch and
Bell’s Sparrow: He will look while at Pinnacles

His Name is John Ward:
<john.ward...> <mailto:<john.ward...>

Thanks for any info you might have for him.

Larry Corridon

Back to top
Date: 8/8/19 8:57 am
From: DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] The Fall Pelagic Season
Good Morning, Birders,

Shearwater Journeys recently completed our first pelagic trips of the fall season.

On August 2 we headed out on Monterey Bay which turned out to be chock-a-block with schools of anchovies, sometimes at least 17 stories deep in the water column. We encountered huge rafts of SOOTY SHEARWATERS sitting on the sea. Estimates were up to at least 50,000. No less than 50 HUMPBACK WHALES were breaching, head-slapping, and lunge-feeding on the huge schools of anchovies. One BLUE WHALE gave us excellent views. Lots of PIGEON GUILLEMOTS present in the harbor and along Cannery Row. The first BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS showed up at 9:05 a.m., five minutes late. A total of 35 albatrosses made the day with folks shooting images with their cell phones! PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATERS and a few POMARINE JAEGERS and various other seabids were around. The food source, though, was just so spectacular.

Our next Monterey trip with spaces available is Friday, August 30.

We’ve moved up to a larger vessel, the Star of Monterey, for the Monterey Albacore trip on Sunday, September 8 and for the Thursday, September 12 trip. Spaces are available on those trips.

On August 4 we departed from Sausalito, heading to the Farallon Islands. It was a beautiful ride out to the islands with a few sooty shearwaters and common murres along the way. The islands were fog-free and looked stunning in the light. The NORTHERN GANNET was sitting on Sugarloaf almost surrounded by TUFTED PUFFINS! What a sight! Loads of PIGEON GUILLEMOTS were calling back and forth, along with more common murres and a single RHINOCEROS AUKLET. All of the usual breeding seabirds were present. Heading off the edge of the Continental Shelf, we had good views of BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS and PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATERS, more Rhinoceros Auklets and a few Cassin’s Auklets. Several HUMPBACK WHALES were feeding along the shelf break. On the return to Sausalito, we had splendid views of the iconic San Francisco skyline and, of course, the Golden Gate Bridge (from underneath it)!

We’re returning to the Farallon Islands this Sunday, August 11, departing from Sausalito at 7 a.m. Two spaces have opened up on this previously sold out trip. If you are interested, please email me directly: <debi...> <mailto:<debi...>.

You can view our complete fall schedule here: http://www.shearwaterjourneys.com/schedule.html <http://www.shearwaterjourneys.com/schedule.html>

“It’s all about food!”
Living the Salt Life,
Debi Shearwater

DEBRA SHEARWATER
Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
PO Box 190
Hollister, CA 95024
831.637.8527
<debi...>
www.shearwaterjourneys.com
www.shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com

Celebrating 44 Years of Seabirding with Shearwater Journeys
Siberia’s Forgotten Coast & Spoon-billed Sandpiper- 23 June - 6 July 2020
Northeast Passage: Northern Sea Route 27 July - 22 August 2020

Back to top
Date: 8/7/19 6:14 pm
From: arinkert12 <arinkert12...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Shearwaters now
We're having an amazing show off Seabright right now: 200,000 on the water and more streaming in from both directions at 3,000 per minute! They are close in, the river of shearwaters weaving between the dozens of sail boats just off the harbor.Alex RinkertSanta Cruz

Back to top
Date: 8/6/19 11:52 pm
From: Earl Lebow <hawkowl...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Fwd: Black Tern Photos

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Lee-Hong Chang <lhchang825...>
> Date: August 6, 2019 at 11:20:40 PM PDT
> To: "<hawkowl...>" <hawkowl...>
> Subject: Black Tern
>
> Hello Earl,
>
> Thank you for sharing your scope with me this afternoon (Aug. 6). Attached please find three photos that I took of the bird in question. From these photos, the dark spot on breast is quite obvious. Therefore, I believe the ID of this bird is Black Tern.
>
> Apparently, Hudsonian Godwit had been seen multiple times today. Looks like I have to go back to look for it again.
>
> Good birding,
> Lee

Back to top
Date: 8/6/19 11:49 pm
From: Earl Lebow <hawkowl...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Black Tern
Just received several overhead photos from Lee Chang in which you can clearly see the dark bar on the side of the breast, the grey flanks and the dark ear patch extending from the crown. Clinching the id. as a juvenile Black Tern. I will forward the photos ASAP.

Sent from my iPhonei

Back to top
Date: 8/6/19 11:42 pm
From: Earl Lebow <hawkowl...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Black Tern, Salinas River WR
This afternoon while in search of Hudsonian Godwit at the Salinas River WR Tom Helman and I were fortunate to see a Black Tern fly to the pond and forage for insects on the top of the pond at around 12:30pm. I was first struck by the dark plumage unlike most terns in our area as well as the bouncy, buoyant flight as it pecked at the waters surface. It had a short, slender, black, pointed bill, dark cap and white collar with a hint of white on the forehead and face. No dark patch on the side of the breast was noted. The mantle and upper wings were dark gray and the tail was short, slightly forked and gray as well but lighter than the mantle. The underwing was pale gray.
I ruled out WWTE due to tail color which in the former is white, and other dark terns by the comparatively smallish size of the one we saw.

The Tern was observed to make at least 1/2 a dozen passes along the center of the lagoon before circling overhead and heading in the direction of the ocean.

Lighting was poor and visibility challenging but I thought it best to get this info out today. Photos were taken by another birder at the scene and will be posted as soon as I receive them.

Also seen at the refuge were the Semipalmated Sandpiper previously reported by Rick Fournier, dozens of Red-Necked Phalaropes and other peeps, and 4 Wilson’s Phalaropes.

We missed the Hudsonian Godwit though it was seen earlier in the day.

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 8/6/19 9:00 pm
From: Alex Rinkert <arinkert12...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] SCBC field trip: Sooty Shearwaters
The meeting location for tomorrow's Santa Cruz Bird Club field trip will be
at the Seabright State Beach end of 3rd Avenue. The last few evenings have
had flocks of up to 125,000 shearwaters somewhat further offshore than
preferred, but still enjoyable to watch. If there is better viewing down
near the beach, we will walk out to the Walton Lighthouse. The original
field trip announcement from the Albatross is below.

Wed, August 7, 6pm - 8pm

Every summer an incredible natural phenomenon can be seen in our backyard.
On summer evenings Sooty Shearwaters form enormous flocks to feast on
abundant anchovy near the coast. The evening gathering can draw in nearly
300,000 shearwaters, forming tall maelstroms above bait balls and rafts that
stretch for miles on the ocean. Shearwaters are joined at the evening feast
by gulls, terns, jaegers, and humpback whales. Plan to be at one location
for a few hours. A spotting scope and folding chair may improve the
experience but are not necessary. Directions: Meet at 6:00 PM. The location
for this field trip will be determined a few days prior to give us the best
chance of a good show and will be announced via MBB and Mailchimp. Leader:
Alex Rinkert

Alex Rinkert

Santa Cruz

Back to top
Date: 8/6/19 6:04 pm
From: larry corridon <larry961357...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Sooty Shearwater chase 8/7/19 at 1800 hrs
Has the location of the Shearwater chase scheduled for tomorrow been announced yet?

Larry Corridon

Back to top
Date: 8/6/19 11:27 am
From: 'Lisa Sheridan' via mbbirds <mbbirds...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Fwd: Birding guide request at Rancho Del Oso
Dear MBB,
Jeremy from Ca. State Parks is seeking help this Saturday for a bird guide. He had a family matter he has to attend too. Info below.Perhaps one of you would like to contact Jeremy and see if this something you can help him with and enjoy birding out at Rancho Del Oso?He has six people signed up.
Thanks,Lisa Sheridan

Date: 8/4/19 8:31 am
From: dwbirdster <dwbirdster...>
At Salinas River NWR pond 8:30 am Aug 4. Couldn't be any closer to the trail.Dave Weber,MilpitasBy phone

Back to top
Date: 8/3/19 7:40 pm
From: Randy Wardle <wrwardle...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] August birding email for Santa Cruz County
For those interested, here is the birding email for Santa Cruz County for the month of August. I hope some of the info enhances your birding experiences this month.

August 2019

It's already August, and although it still seems like the middle of summer, many of the breeding birds in our area will be leaving and winter species arriving by the end of the month as fall migration picks up. Many rarities have turned up in Santa Cruz County through the years in the month of August.

Yellow Warbler migration ramps up this month and Townsend's Warblers will return near the end of August along with the possibility of finding vagrant "Eastern" warblers like American Redstart, Tennessee, Black-and-white, and more. The first fall sightings of Northern Waterthrush may be in August as well.

This is a good month to be alert for Willow Flycatchers in many places including Bethany curve, Antonelli Pond, Natural Bridges, Lighthouse Field and Quail Hollow Ranch. Watch for them fly-catching and giving their soft "whit" calls. Western Kingbirds will be passing through and watch for a vagrant Eastern Kingbird which have sometimes shown up in August. Other flycatchers like Ash-throated will be mostly gone by the end of the month. Also watch for returning Loggerhead Shrikes this month.

Now is a good time to watch carefully for Black-chinned Hummingbirds. It might prove helpful to familiarize yourself with their husky “tchew" call to help identify them. Look for them at places on the Westside, including Bethany Curve. While Purple Martins will be mostly gone by months end, you will see large congregations of migrating swallows, especially early in the morning at places like Quail Hollow Ranch and Loma Prieta. Speaking of Loma Prieta, how late do Black-chinned Sparrows stay? Will any be found after the first week of August? There is still time to look for Black Swifts on the north coast at Wilder Ranch, Sand Hill Bluff and Moore Creek Preserve. White-breasted Nuthatches have sometimes been found in August at Quail Hollow Ranch, and a Summer Tanager may be found on the Westside. Also watch for the return of Cedar Waxwings this month, while it's still a fine time for a Rose-breasted Grosbeak to show up at a feeder.

Offshore, August is a great time for Black-footed Albatross, Long-tailed Jaeger and Arctic Tern. Closer to shore, large numbers of Sooty Shearwaters and Elegant Terns are expected during the month. Evening feeding frenzies along the mid-county coast can be quite spectacular. Watch carefully for possible Black-vented or Pink-footed Shearwaters among the thousands of Sooties. Also look for Pomarine and Parasitic Jaegers this month chasing gulls and terns just offshore. August is a good month to look for Common and Least Terns at creek and river mouths, Corcoran Lagoon, or in the Watsonville Slough system. A Black Tern might even be found at one of the sloughs or College Lake. Wilson's and Red-necked Phalaropes, sometimes in large numbers, can be found this month too at places such as lower Watsonville Slough and Shorebirds Pond at Pajaro Dunes. Red Phalaropes are much less common and are more likely to be found further offshore. Also watch along the coast for fledged Pigeon Guillemots, which look very much like juvenile and winter Marbled Murrelets but have dusky underparts and different structure.

Along the shore this month watch for growing numbers of Black-necked Stilts, Avocets, Marbled Godwits, Willets, and Snowy, Semipalmated and Black-bellied Plovers. There is also a chance of finding a Pacific Golden-Plover. A Lesser Sand-Plover was even found a few years ago on the beach at Pajaro Dunes. Will another one come through our area this fall? Watch for an occasional Ruddy Turnstone in among groups of Black Turnstones and Surfbirds. Both dowitcher and yellowleg numbers will be increasing this month and watch for the return of Wilson's Snipe, which haven't been seen since April. Large numbers of juvenile shorebirds begin showing up in August and this month is a great time to look for Pectoral, Baird's and Semipalmated Sandpipers in the Watsonville Slough system if muddy banks are exposed by receding water. At these same locations, look carefully for a Solitary or Stilt Sandpiper, or perhaps something rarer such as a Ruff or Buff-breasted Sandpiper.

This month also marks the return of some wintering duck species. Among those arriving this month will be Northern Shovelers, Northern Pintails, and Green-winged Teal.

August is a very exciting month as fall migration picks up and we say goodbye to many of our summering species and welcome back many of our wintering ones, while watching closely for rare migrants that may make their way through our county. So get out in the field as many times as possible this month. You never know what may turn up! I wish you good birding!

Randy Wardle
Aptos

Back to top
Date: 8/3/19 5:25 pm
From: Randy Wardle <wrwardle...>
Subject: Fwd: [MBBIRDS] Hudsonian Godwit SRNWR
The Hudsonian Godwit was still there when I left at 2pm on Saturday.

Sent from Samsung Mobile.

Date: 8/2/19 6:56 pm
From: Kumaran Arul <karul2...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] Shearwater Season
Just following up on these reports, I am seeing my first large sooty shearwater flocks on the west side of Santa Cruz, off West Cliff Dr., right now (Friday evening, 8/2). This is just my personal first sighting, and I have not been around for a fair bit of the last month.
Kumaran Arul
Santa Cruz, CA

> On Jul 30, 2019, at 9:59 AM, Nelson Samuels <samnelo...> wrote:
>
> Pete, there was a large, made my oldest granddaughter gasp when she saw them through binoculars, flock, 2,000 plus, on the third of July between the Capitola Pier and Pleasure Point. Nelson Samuels, Aromas
>
> --
> For Monterey Rare Bird alerts call 831-250-4550
> ---

Back to top
Date: 8/2/19 3:28 pm
From: Kent Johnson <kentjohnson...>
Continued this morning at the same location.

Kent Johnson
Boulder Creek

________________________________

Date: 8/1/19 9:32 pm
From: James Maughn <jamaughn...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Weird Duck at Wilder Ranch Today
Okay, maybe not so weird, but unfamiliar to me. I'm puzzling over this one
a bit.

The duck foraging among the washed up seaweed, and then went to drink from
the creek that is currently pooled at the north end of the beach. The duck
was all brown, with very little other distinguishing markings, other than
an all-dark bill. My first thought was Cinnamon Teal, but I don't think
that's it. It kind of looks like an American Black Duck, but I'm guessing
it is probably just a funky mallard.

Here's some other photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jmaughn/48436102677/
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/jmaughn/48436102677/in/photostream/>
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jmaughn/48435957891/
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48436153922_b49db4df35_o.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48436114707_088899bcbf_b.jpg

I can't remember what the name of this Wilder Ranch beach is, and Google
isn't reminding me, but the exact coordinates are here:

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/30024472

(Lat: 36.95465 Lon: -122.091261 for those who don't want to follow the
link.)

Jim

Back to top
Date: 8/1/19 6:31 pm
From: Mark Kudrav <mkudrav...>

On Thu, Aug 1, 2019 at 12:53 PM Rita Carratello <merops22...> wrote:

> My bird class and I found a Hudsonian Godwit this morning at the Salinas
> River NWR in Monterey County.
>
> It was working in the mud flat of the freshwater pond closest to the side
> where you first arrive to view the pond. Sometimes it would fly across the
> pond to roost. There are two Willets there that the Godwit was feeding next
> to. It is the same size and perhaps a little bit smaller than the
> Willets.
>
> Last time a Hudsonian Godwit was seen there was about 1989 but at the
> river itself. To get to the freshwater pond take the trail left from the
> parking lot.
>
> Good Birding,
>
> Rita Carratello
> --
> Rita Carratello
>
> --
> For Monterey Rare Bird alerts call 831-250-4550
> ---
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mbbirds/CANtyRwnh%3Dw%2BBeeFWZQXwQKz40aQEqXbDnABSxciLXc%2B%<3DiTB3YA...>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mbbirds/CANtyRwnh%3Dw%2BBeeFWZQXwQKz40aQEqXbDnABSxciLXc%2B%<3DiTB3YA...>?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

Back to top

Date: 8/1/19 12:24 pm
From: Don Roberson <creagrus...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Hudsonian Godwit in MTY
A juv Hudsonian Godwit was discovered this morning by Rita Carratello
and her birding class at the Salinas River NWR, north of Marina, in
Monterey County.  It frequented the lone freshwater pond at the Refuge.
From Hwy 1 heading south from Moss Landing, cross the Salinas River and
immediately turn right at the first exit, Del Monte, and turn right
(west) on Del Monte itself, which almost immediately becomes a rutted
dirt road that ends at the NWR parking lot. [Avoid any wet spot in road
caused by watering the adjacent fields. Take your valuables with you
from the parking lot as there have been break-ins in the past.]

From the parking lot's gate into the refuge, turn left (south) on the
main trail and take it  as it bends west and then south again after
about a quarter-mile or so to the freshwater pond. The juv godwit has
been hanging out with two juv Willets but these have been flying around
the pond to different spots at various time. For a while it was right
next to the path at the pond, and numerous photos were taken by others.

Don Roberson
MTY bird records compiler

Back to top
Date: 7/31/19 10:00 am
From: Kevin Condon <kevcomail...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] UCSC undergrad in need of camera lens for shooting birds
Hello,
I am lending my Lumix Gh4 dslr camera to an undergraduate environmental
studies student at UCSC to take photos of birds at Younger Lagoon Reserve
for a census project happening there over the Fall. Does anyone have a
compatible lens suitable for taking close ups of birds that they would be
willing to lend or not using anymore and willing to sell? Any help is
appreciated! Thanks!
-Kevin

Kevin Condon
Co-founder of The Bird School Project
(858) 525-2147
www.birdschoolproject.org

Back to top
Date: 7/30/19 9:59 am
From: Nelson Samuels <samnelo...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Shearwater Season

Date: 7/25/19 12:28 pm
From: Lee Jaffe <leejaffe54...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] long tailed duck
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/24874790

Lee Jaffe

On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 12:00 PM 'Donald Glasco' via mbbirds <
<mbbirds...> wrote:

> The LTDUs have been at Jetty Road for couple of months, often w
> Red-throated Loons
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jul 25, 2019, at 9:39 AM, Tom Zweng <tnzweng...> wrote:
>
> I saw two of them at Jetty Road on Tuesday afternoon.
>
> Tom Zweng
> <TNZweng...>
> 704 589-8500
>
> On Jul 25, 2019, at 9:57 AM, Shirley Murphy <smurphbird...> wrote:
>
> jetty toad 7/24
>
> looks like first winter--face more or less whitish---hope someone else
> sees them
>
> --
> For Monterey Rare Bird alerts call 831-250-4550
> ---
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mbbirds/CAJ_pGrXEbniwa%3DPTjDr_n9fAL9Jsh-%<3DbCPeByL2REjUWEFWxrg...>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mbbirds/CAJ_pGrXEbniwa%3DPTjDr_n9fAL9Jsh-%<3DbCPeByL2REjUWEFWxrg...>?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .
>
> --
> For Monterey Rare Bird alerts call 831-250-4550
> ---
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mbbirds/<926BFC21-BDAC-4354-8500-2AF985EE496F...>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mbbirds/<926BFC21-BDAC-4354-8500-2AF985EE496F...>?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .
>
> --
> For Monterey Rare Bird alerts call 831-250-4550
> ---
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mbbirds/<6D5589FF-60B2-4835-9208-A003B0123A0A...>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mbbirds/<6D5589FF-60B2-4835-9208-A003B0123A0A...>?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

Back to top
Date: 7/25/19 12:00 pm
From: 'Donald Glasco' via mbbirds <mbbirds...>
The LTDUs have been at Jetty Road for couple of months, often w Red-throated Loons

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 25, 2019, at 9:39 AM, Tom Zweng <tnzweng...> wrote:
>
> I saw two of them at Jetty Road on Tuesday afternoon.
>
> Tom Zweng
> <TNZweng...>
> 704 589-8500
>
>> On Jul 25, 2019, at 9:57 AM, Shirley Murphy <smurphbird...> wrote:
>>
>> jetty toad 7/24
>>
>> looks like first winter--face more or less whitish---hope someone else sees them
>> --
>> For Monterey Rare Bird alerts call 831-250-4550
>> ---
> --
> For Monterey Rare Bird alerts call 831-250-4550
> ---

Back to top
Date: 7/25/19 9:39 am
From: Tom Zweng <tnzweng...>
I saw two of them at Jetty Road on Tuesday afternoon.

Tom Zweng
<TNZweng...>
704 589-8500

> On Jul 25, 2019, at 9:57 AM, Shirley Murphy <smurphbird...> wrote:
>
> jetty toad 7/24
>
> looks like first winter--face more or less whitish---hope someone else sees them
> --
> For Monterey Rare Bird alerts call 831-250-4550
> ---

Back to top

Date: 7/23/19 1:30 pm
From: 'Barbara Novelli' via mbbirds <mbbirds...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Curlews
I was lucky enough to see a flock of about 15 Curlews at Rio Del Mar beach on Sunday July 21 at about 2:00 pm.  They were in the section of the beach in between the La Selva trestle and the Seascape Resort walkway.  Beautiful copper colored flock!Barbara Novelli

Back to top
Date: 7/22/19 7:31 pm
From: Pete Sole <pete...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Re: Red-footed Booby, RFI
Hi Joe,

(I'm cc'ing mbbirds@ where local SC birds are often reported.)

Ebird has most of the local reports. See the attached screen shot.
Regardless, in case the screen shot does not work for you:

The bird was last reported on 7/20/2019 at 10:16am. My wife and I
sporadically see the bird when we walk down by the ocean in the evening
around 7pm. We don't walk every night, and we don't see it every
evening. However, since we did not walk the last 2 nights, I can't write
anything definitive for the last 2 days.

Regardless, the bird has been reported more or less daily since 5/30.
I'll be surprised if it left the area, but don't know for sure.

Does anybody on mbb have any other updates that they can offer Joe?

Thanks,

Pete

On 7/22/19 4:08 PM, Joseph Gebler wrote:
> Hello Pete, could you post this to the appropriate lists?
>
> We're considering a trip from Arizona to see the Red-footed Booby.
> However, I see no reports from the last couple of days. Anyone have an
> update?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Joe Gebler

Back to top
Date: 7/20/19 4:34 pm
From: larry corridon <larry961357...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Birding Cape May N.J.
I’m considering doing s Road Scholar birding tour at Cape May, N.J. this fall. One tour is Sept. 15-20. The other is October 20-25. Does anyone have a suggestion of which might be the better dates for birding? Thanks for any information you might have.

Larry

Back to top
Date: 7/20/19 9:24 am
From: Phil Brown <pdpbrown...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Brant
Younger Lagoon
Phil Brown

Back to top
Date: 7/18/19 3:45 pm
From: James Maughn <jamaughn...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Glaucous-winged gull seacliff pier
For anyone interested in somewhat-out-of-the-ordinary-for-the-season gulls,
there looks to be a Glaucous-winged on the Seacliff pier. I've attached a
terrible phot of the back of my camera, since that is all I can do at the
moment. The bird looks too pale to be an Olympic gull to me, though.