MBBIRDS
Received From Subject
7/23/24 11:10 am Don Roberson <creagrus...> Re: [MBBIRDS] MTY bird highlights for 2024 updated
7/23/24 10:49 am Don Roberson <creagrus...> [MBBIRDS] MTY bird highlights for 2024 updated
7/21/24 8:15 pm Abram Fleishman <abfleishman...> [MBBIRDS] Sooty shearwaters off Santa Cruz
7/21/24 5:01 pm Brian Scanlon <briancscanlon...> Re: [MBBIRDS] Please advise how to subscribe to MBBIRDS
7/21/24 3:33 pm Lynn Wagner <nfmlyn...> [MBBIRDS] Please advise how to subscribe to MBBIRDS
7/12/24 12:23 am Pete Sole <pete...> [MBBIRDS] Black-headed Grosbeaks feeding young (photos)
7/11/24 8:57 am Ann Nixon <grandmaannies5...> [MBBIRDS] Touching base
7/11/24 8:11 am larry corridon <larry961357...> [MBBIRDS] Nice article about author Amy Tan and backyard birding
7/10/24 10:17 pm David Apgar <d_apgar...> RE: [MBBIRDS] Mystery flycatcher
7/10/24 9:10 pm <chucao...> RE: [MBBIRDS] Mystery flycatcher
7/10/24 9:01 pm David Suddjian <dsuddjian...> Re: [MBBIRDS] Mystery flycatcher
7/10/24 8:49 pm <dominikmosur...> Re: [MBBIRDS] Mystery flycatcher
7/10/24 8:33 pm David Apgar <d_apgar...> Re: [MBBIRDS] Mystery flycatcher
7/10/24 8:09 pm Tom Hambleton <tah...> [MBBIRDS] Mystery flycatcher
7/9/24 8:29 pm 'Yahoo' via mbbirds <mbbirds...> Re: [MBBIRDS] Question about Panoche Hills Access Road
7/9/24 7:10 pm Brian Scanlon <briancscanlon...> [MBBIRDS] Another update on Purple Martins at Ponderosa Lodge
7/9/24 5:17 pm DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...> Re: [MBBIRDS] Question about Panoche Hills Access Road
7/8/24 7:30 pm Kent Johnson <kentjohnson...> [MBBIRDS] Question about Panoche Hills Access Road
7/8/24 4:32 pm Nickie Zavinsky <nickiezee0111...> [MBBIRDS] Surf Scoter
7/7/24 4:07 pm David Suddjian <dsuddjian...> Re: [MBBIRDS] Dispersing Western Tanagers?
7/7/24 2:36 pm Barbara Monahan <monahan...> [MBBIRDS] Fledging Great Horned Owl
7/7/24 2:21 pm Pete Sole <pete...> Re: [MBBIRDS] Dispersing Western Tanagers?
7/7/24 12:56 pm Pete Sole <pete...> [MBBIRDS] Dispersing Western Tanagers?
7/7/24 11:22 am larry corridon <larry961357...> [MBBIRDS] Lawrence Goldfinch
7/6/24 10:02 pm Michael Levy <levysantacruz...> [MBBIRDS] Brants at Pajaro River mouth
7/6/24 8:57 pm Pete Sole <pete...> [MBBIRDS] Sometimes... birds pose for photos...
7/2/24 10:54 am Deborah Diersch <debbiediersch...> Re: [MBBIRDS] Olive-Sided Flycatchers
7/1/24 12:59 pm Kent Johnson <kentjohnson...> [MBBIRDS] Pewee
6/30/24 1:21 pm Brian Scanlon <briancscanlon...> Re: [MBBIRDS] Re: E. Wood Pewee refound
6/30/24 12:04 pm liammsf <liammsf...> Re: [MBBIRDS] Re: E. Wood Pewee refound
6/30/24 11:15 am Brian Scanlon <briancscanlon...> Re: [MBBIRDS] Re: E. Wood Pewee refound
6/30/24 10:55 am liammsf <liammsf...> Re: [MBBIRDS] Re: E. Wood Pewee refound
6/30/24 10:42 am Steven Tucker <seagullsteve...> Re: [MBBIRDS] Re: E. Wood Pewee refound
6/30/24 10:06 am liammsf <liammsf...> Re: [MBBIRDS] Re: E. Wood Pewee refound
6/30/24 9:25 am Pete Sole <pete...> Re: [MBBIRDS] Update on Purple Martine at Ponderosa Lodge Trails
6/30/24 9:14 am Brian Scanlon <briancscanlon...> [MBBIRDS] Update on Purple Martine at Ponderosa Lodge Trails
6/29/24 3:11 pm David Sidle <dsidle...> [MBBIRDS] Re: E. Wood Pewee refound
6/29/24 3:05 pm David Sidle <dsidle...> [MBBIRDS] E. Wood Pewee refound
6/29/24 2:57 pm David Apgar <d_apgar...> Re: [MBBIRDS] Eastern Wood-Pewee near Davenport
6/29/24 2:23 pm Phil Brown <pdpbrown...> Re: [MBBIRDS] Eastern Wood-Pewee near Davenport
6/29/24 2:05 pm Chris Soriano <soriano151...> Re: [MBBIRDS] Eastern Wood-Pewee near Davenport
6/29/24 11:35 am 'Jonathan Wahl' via mbbirds <mbbirds...> Re: [MBBIRDS] Eastern Wood-Pewee near Davenport
6/29/24 10:45 am Alex Rinkert <arinkert...> [MBBIRDS] Eastern Wood-Pewee near Davenport
6/29/24 1:52 am Carol Pecot <carol.pecot...> [MBBIRDS] Rose-breasted Grosbeak
6/28/24 5:18 pm Pete Sole <pete...> [MBBIRDS] Put it HERE! and other bird photos...
6/28/24 4:55 pm sharonalucchesi <sharonalucchesi...> [MBBIRDS] Olive-Sided Flycatchers
6/26/24 11:51 pm Ken Kellman <kkellman57...> Re: [MBBIRDS] First Ever for Me`2 Osprey
6/26/24 11:51 pm David Suddjian <dsuddjian...> Re: [MBBIRDS] Kingbird ID Question
6/26/24 6:58 pm sharonalucchesi <sharonalucchesi...> [MBBIRDS] First Ever for Me`2 Osprey

Back to top
Date: 7/23/24 11:10 am
From: Don Roberson <creagrus...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] MTY bird highlights for 2024 updated
Sorry, link is
http://creagrus.home.montereybay.com/MTY_2024a.html

Some have said it is not working, but it should be okay. Don

Back to top
Date: 7/23/24 10:49 am
From: Don Roberson <creagrus...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] MTY bird highlights for 2024 updated
A page of text and photos of the birds and birding highlights in Monterey County (MTY) during the first half of 2024 are now, belated, available at

http://creagrus.home.montereybay.com/MTY_2024a.html

As always, I appreciate the use of photos from a variety of photographers.

Thanks,

Don Roberson
MTY bird records compiler

Back to top
Date: 7/21/24 8:15 pm
From: Abram Fleishman <abfleishman...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Sooty shearwaters off Santa Cruz
There are 50k-100k sooty shearwaters off Santa Cruz this evening. Good
groups with lunge feeding humpbacks off the harbor. Worth a sunset look if
you are nearby!

-Abram

Sent from my phone

Back to top
Date: 7/21/24 5:01 pm
From: Brian Scanlon <briancscanlon...>
It's easy to forget since we only do it once. Information on joining
listservers can be found at:
https://santacruzbirdclub.org/birding-listservers/

Brian Scanlon

On Sun, Jul 21, 2024 at 3:33 PM Lynn Wagner <nfmlyn...> wrote:

> Hi I’m already subscribed but met someone near Natural Bridges who was
> birding, and I wanted to share the wonder of MBB.
>
> TIA & happy birding
> Lynn
>
> ♻️
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mbbirds/<EF243E53-8DA7-4AFB-A285-BF80F5FD304F...>
> .

Back to top

Date: 7/12/24 12:23 am
From: Pete Sole <pete...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Black-headed Grosbeaks feeding young (photos)
Hi birders,

For weeks I've been trying to capture at least one unambiguous photo of
a Black-headed Grosbeak feeding young. I've seen it a few times, but the
grosbeaks are skittish and it happens very quickly. This is very
understandable. We have prowling neighborhood Cooper's Hawks, who often
check the self-serve bird buffet at our feeders. But I digress. Thursday
morning I was able to capture one sequence of a female Black-headed
Grosbeak feeding young:

Mom:

http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/web_ready/sparrows_allies/grosbeak_black_fm_240611b.jpg

Mom feeding the juvi:

http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/web_ready/sparrows_allies/grosbeak_black_2_fm_juvi_240611e.jpg

http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/web_ready/sparrows_allies/grosbeak_black_2_fm_juvi_240611f.jpg

Very quickly it was all over:

http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/web_ready/sparrows_allies/grosbeak_black_2_fm_juvi_240611h.jpg

(See the chickadee trying to photo bomb the image? It's in the far right
near Mom's head... lol)

Mom might be done, but the juvi was NOT:

More begging:

http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/web_ready/sparrows_allies/grosbeak_black_juvi_240611j.jpg

Mom, where are you going?!?

http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/web_ready/sparrows_allies/grosbeak_black_juvi_240611k.jpg

I guess that is about the strongest evidence I have of Black-headed
Grosbeaks breeding in our area...

At the time there were some 4 or 5 Black-headed Grosbeaks in our yard
when this all happened. Ebird list with more photos:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S186486805

For those who periodically ask, how come you've got all these birds!?!
It's simple. We bribe the birds with expensive shelled, pre-cracked
sunflower seed, provide clean water in saucers, and then... special
kudos to my significant other Nancy, who chases away the cats, and other
bullies including young scrub-jays, and squirrels trying to get to the
feeders. (I should add birding takes time. I watch and listen to the
birds for about 2 hours in the morning...)

For those who are wondering about the camera settings for most of the
images above, shutter speed: 1/500 sec., aperture: 6.3, ISO: 200, lens
focal length: 600mm. Post processing usually includes cropping, minor
lighting/histogram touch up, and very selective sharpening in Photoshop.
Image noise reduction with DeNoize AI using the clear or low light
settings. (If you have any questions about the technical photo stuff,
feel free to ask.)

Fun birding,

Pete Sole

enjoying birds in Soquel, CA

Back to top
Date: 7/11/24 8:57 am
From: Ann Nixon <grandmaannies5...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Touching base
Hi Hope all is well. Please let me know when you get this, I'd like to ask you for a favor.

Back to top
Date: 7/11/24 8:11 am
From: larry corridon <larry961357...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Nice article about author Amy Tan and backyard birding
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/07/10/realestate/amy-tan-the-backyard-bird-chronicles.html?<unlocked_article_code...>&smid=url-share
Amy Tan Takes a Novel Approach to Bird-Watching: ‘Be the Bird’ (Gift Article)
nytimes.com
larry corridon
<larry961357...>

Back to top
Date: 7/10/24 10:17 pm
From: David Apgar <d_apgar...>
Subject: RE: [MBBIRDS] Mystery flycatcher
Is Tom's bird's pale malar extending toward the nape typical of Western
flycatcher at this stage of wear? Or are throat and malar contrast
just too variable to be helpful field marks for empids?
David
On Jul 10, 2024 9:10 PM, <chucao...> wrote:

Dom et al.

Just as a point of definition of terms, yes and eye ring is always
made up of feathers. If it was skin, that would be called an
orbital ring. But eye rings are by definition made up of feathers.

Cheers,

Alvaro

Alvaro Jaramillo

<alvaro...>

www.alvarosadventures.com

Date: 7/10/24 9:10 pm
From: <chucao...>
Dom et al.

Just as a point of definition of terms, yes and eye ring is always made up of feathers. If it was skin, that would be called an orbital ring. But eye rings are by definition made up of feathers.

Cheers,

Alvaro

Alvaro Jaramillo

<mailto:<alvaro...> <alvaro...>

<http://www.alvarosadventures.com> www.alvarosadventures.com

Date: 7/10/24 9:01 pm
From: David Suddjian <dsuddjian...>
I agree with Dominik - Western. This is the hardest time of the year to
evaluate Empids visually due to wear. Calls are exceedingly helpful now.

David Suddjian
Littleton, CO

On Wed, Jul 10, 2024 at 9:49 PM <dominikmosur...> wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> This bird looks perfectly fine (albeit a bit worn as is to be expected of
> an adult/after-hatch year in mid July) Western/Pacific-slope flycatcher.
>
> i could be wrong but I’m quite certain that an empidonax’s “eye-ring” is
> composed of tiny feathers which become worn over time much like the rest of
> the plumage causing this distortion in shape.
>
> This is why Empidonax ID has to be made by evaluating multiple field marks
> - such as bill shape/size/color, primary projection and plumage colors all
> fall in line with Western Flycatcher.
>
> Dominik Mosur
> San Francisco
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jul 10, 2024, at 20:33, David Apgar <d_apgar...> wrote:
>

> Willow, if I'm right that the upper mandible's as dark as the third photo
> suggests. Vent looks too clean for western wood-peewee.
>
> David
>
> On Jul 10, 2024 8:09 PM, Tom Hambleton <tah...> wrote:
>
> Today at Rancho del Oso, on the north side of the marsh bridge, I
> photographed what I thought was a Western Flycatcher, except when I looked
> at the photos I noticed it lacks the teardrop eye shape I am used to
> seeing. I heard the normal Western Flycatcher sounds and Merlin reported
> them as well. However, at times it was hanging out with a typical Western
> Flycatcher with a normal eye which I guess could have been making the
> sounds. Any help would be appreciated.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Tom
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mbbirds/<8B93D229-103D-4BAC-8DE1-DB865647D328...>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mbbirds/<8B93D229-103D-4BAC-8DE1-DB865647D328...>?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mbbirds/<CO6PR22MB2515D9B16B64297C44744B669BA52...>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mbbirds/<CO6PR22MB2515D9B16B64297C44744B669BA52...>?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mbbirds/<12A29CE5-BF68-41E4-B9CC-FDE0F3613870...>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mbbirds/<12A29CE5-BF68-41E4-B9CC-FDE0F3613870...>?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

Back to top
Date: 7/10/24 8:49 pm
From: <dominikmosur...>

Back to top

Date: 7/9/24 8:29 pm
From: 'Yahoo' via mbbirds <mbbirds...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] Question about Panoche Hills Access Road
Thank you.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Tuesday, July 9, 2024, 5:17 PM, DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...> wrote:

Hi, Kent and MBBers,
The Panoche Hills BLM area has been closed for some time now. I don’t know of any plans to open it soon. It was closed during our Christmas Bird Count in early January.
The way it was explained to me is that they are working hard to save the Federally Endangered blunt-nosed leopard lizard from completely disappearing from that part of its range.
Even in “normal” years, that BLM area closed from about April through until hunting season opened in October. It was not possible to permit vehicles and people in that area due to the risk of wildfire during those months. I fully support this. Any wildfire in this precious habitat would be devastating.
There may be special circumstances where the BLM might open the Panoche Hills area. There are certainly biologists working up there on the leopard lizard program. I believe I have read something about these lizards being bred in captivity and released in the Panoche Hills (possibly with little radio transmitters?). Let’s cross our fingers that the leopard lizards survive.
Almost every Sunday, I go birding in Panoche Valley. There is not a lot happening out there at the moment.
I’ve been watching four different pairs of nesting SWAINSON’S HAWKS, all on the valley floor. As of 30 June, two nests had fledged young and the other two nests had young just about ready to fledge. They are almost certainly gone by now. In addition to the nesting Swainson’s Hawks, I found two SY individuals which hung out near the school for a couple weeks, likely feeding on the abundant grasshoppers. These are the first SY’s that I have seen in the valley since 30 May 2021 when I found a flock of 143 Swainson’s Hawks. As recently at 2013, Swainson’s Hawk was considered an unusual or even rare species in San Benito County.
Very few RED-TAILED HAWKS nest on the valley floor, although there was a nest at Silver Creek Ranch this year, in a utility pole (Robin Welch). The young Red-tails fledge well before the Swainson’s Hawk young, by several weeks. Red-tailed Hawks also nested in the eucalyptus grove at the Douglas Ranch, and cottonwood grove at the Recalde Road ranch this year.
Almost all WESTERN MEADOWLARKS have fledged. I found only one individual, still carrying food to an active nest on 30 June. It is possible that meadowlarks do not nest at all in the valley during multi-year severe droughts. (I still need to confirm this.) Very few meadowlarks remain in the valley at this time. It is possible that they are one of several species (Lawrence’s Goldfinch and Grasshopper Sparrow) that nest early at Panoche Valley, and then move to other, cooler and moister locations.
LOGGERHEAD SHRIKES continue a very bold nesting streak with newly fledged young, also on 30 June. Nearly all shrike nests on the valley floor are located in either Ephedra or Atriplex bushes. The recently fledged young were raised in an small pomegranate tree, though. A nest in an olive tree fledged young several weeks ago. One nest is still active in a dense, weedy crop, maybe dill? These three nests are the only exceptions I’ve found outside of nests in Ephedra/Atriplex. It is very possible that shrikes nested all the way through the year from 2023-2024. I should have documented them nesting in January of 2024, but failed to do so. In any case, I’ve found shrikes in some stage of “confirmed nesting” for 10 months out of the year in Panoche Valley. We are having a banner shrike year!
CHUKARS seemed to have had a banner breeding season as well. I’ve been finding young along Shotgun Pass during about 50% of my visits. I had a high count of 66 chukars recently, most of them young. Chukars avoided using this pass during the construction of the solar facility, probably due to the increased traffic, especially of heavy trucks. But, they have returned to using the pass. Chukars may be benefiting from the closure of the Panoche Hills BLM area= less target shooting.
TRICOLORED BLACKBIRDS had four small colonies this season, all along Panoche Creek, and all on the Panoche Valley Preserve. They had a difficult time due to the late season rains and wind, abandoning their nests at least once if not more than that. It was difficult to track. I estimate that at least 2000 birds nested, possibly as many as 3,500. Nearly all of them have departed Panoche Valley. It is possible that one pair of YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRDS nested amongst their colony. I found an adult female with two young, mixed in with a flock of newly fledged Tricoloreds. (I documented one pair of nesting Yellow-headed Blackbirds in Santa Ana Valley with a large colony of Tricolored Blackbirds several years ago.)
GREATER ROADRUNNERS had a nest near Panoche Creek where it crosses the road at Silver Creek Ranch. I’ve been finding young roadrunners at this location regularly.
There are the other usual suspects around the valley as well. But, overall, there are very few birds present unlike this past winter when it seemed that the valley was literally teeming with birds!
It is triple digit temps in the valley: 100-114 F nearly every day.
If you do decide to go out there, be sure to carry water, not only for yourself, but for anyone you meet who might be in need of water. I tend to avoid going to the valley on Monday and Tuesday because the Panoche Inn is closed on those days. If you have a problem, you are going to need the nice folks at the Panoche Inn to help you out.
Stay cool!Debi Shearwater
P.S. If you happen to be in the valley during the evening— watch for the mammals! That said, I recently saw a MOUNTAIN LION which crossed Panoche Road just after noon on my drive home! Great, but short view! (about 3 miles from the intersection with Highway 25).

On Jul 8, 2024, at 7:29 PM, Kent Johnson <kentjohnson...> wrote:

Does anyone know if the Panoche Hills Access Road near Mercey Hot Springs is open? I have been there three times this year and so far it has always been closed. I reached out to the BLM about it and have not received a response.
Thanks, Kent Johnson

DEBRA SHEARWATERShearwater Journeys, Inc.
PO Box 190
Hollister, CA 95024
831.637.8527
<debi...>
www.shearwaterjourneys.com

Celebrating 44 Years of Seabirding with Shearwater Journeys

Back to top
Date: 7/9/24 7:10 pm
From: Brian Scanlon <briancscanlon...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Another update on Purple Martins at Ponderosa Lodge
I checked the nest tree this evening, and was pleased to find 4 PUMA
fledglings sitting at the top of a nearby tree. They were quite active,
flying out to harass any adult that approached. I expect they will spend
the night at the nest, so they should be present in the morning. Best
viewed at (37.045756, -122.050457)

Brian Scanlon

Back to top
Date: 7/9/24 5:17 pm
From: DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...>

Date: 7/8/24 7:30 pm
From: Kent Johnson <kentjohnson...>

Date: 7/8/24 4:32 pm
From: Nickie Zavinsky <nickiezee0111...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Surf Scoter
Late report. A single Surf Scoter was at Sunny Cove on 7/3.
Nickie

Nickie Zavinsky
Old Friends Pet Support
1-(831)566-8580

Back to top
Date: 7/7/24 4:07 pm
From: David Suddjian <dsuddjian...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] Dispersing Western Tanagers?
Pete,

I agree. Back when I lived in Santa Cruz County dispersing Western Tanagers
began to show up in the lower coastal areas by the third week of June.

David Suddjian
Littleton, CO

On Sun, Jul 7, 2024 at 3:21 PM Pete Sole <pete...> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Big thanks to Ryan and Dominik. They had data that indicates that the
> dispersal of locally breeding Western Tanagers, should be happening now.
> So what I saw, is somewhat expected.
>
> I guess we should keep our eyes open on fruiting trees for Western
> Tanagers!
>
> Thanks again to Ryan and Dominik!
>
> Pete
>

> On 7/7/24 12:56 PM, Pete Sole wrote:
> > Hi birders,
> >
> > So far today, we've had 2 different Western Tanagers in our garden.
> > Here is a photo from the morning:
> >

> http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/web_ready/orioles_tanagers/tanager_western_240706a.jpg
> >

> > This looks like a young bird to me. The second bird we saw during
> > lunch was a much more consistent yellow. I wonder if they are
> > dispersing young?
> >
> > Cornell's Molt, Breeding, and Migration chart for this species,
> > suggests that there should be young birds now, as well as eggs in the
> > nest, probably dependent on location. None the less, see this chart:
> >
> > https://cdn.download.ams.birds.cornell.edu/api/v1/asset/24993051/640
> >
> > Source: Cornell Labs, Birds of the World, Breeding section of the
> > Western Tanager species description:
> >
> > https://birdsoftheworld.org/bow/species/westan/cur/breeding
> >
> > But it seems awfully early for dispersal. Or maybe the tanagers just
> > like the ripe "Australian Cherry" berries at the edge of the garden,
> > like a lot of other birds.
> >
> > Fun birds,
> >
> > Pete Sole
> >
> > Pondering Western Tanager breeding and dispersal in Soquel, CA
> >

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mbbirds/<25afe837-1acf-4401-9d92-8f2e06bfccb2...>
> .

Back to top
Date: 7/7/24 2:36 pm
From: Barbara Monahan <monahan...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Fledging Great Horned Owl
A single Great Horned Owl fledgling hanging out at Anna Jean Cummings Park at 5:30 yesterday. It is in same dead tree that was used last year….end of upper parking area facing school.

On other notes, our nesting Pacific-slope Flycatcher is double clutching….not car reference. They raised one batch and now on second set of eggs. The yearly Hooded Orioles have made great showing this year. Several males, including one that may be a first year helper. Finally, a one day wonder male Rose-breasted Grosbeak (photographed) about a month ago. It has been birdy at my house.

Sorry for delay…

Barbara Monahan,
Near Scotts Valley, at 1100’ off of Jarvis

Back to top
Date: 7/7/24 2:21 pm
From: Pete Sole <pete...>

Date: 7/7/24 11:22 am
From: larry corridon <larry961357...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Lawrence Goldfinch
Behind campsite 63, a pair here now.

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 7/6/24 10:02 pm
From: Michael Levy <levysantacruz...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Brants at Pajaro River mouth
2 Brants today at Pajaro River mouth. On gravel bar, best viewed from in
front of the residences closest to the river mouth. The gravel bar was
full of scores of Brown Pelicans, maybe 20 Caspian terns, and on the
left (upstream) end, a couple of Brants. Seems they forgot to go north
for the Summer?

--
/Michael Levy
408-458-3566/

Back to top
Date: 7/6/24 8:57 pm
From: Pete Sole <pete...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Sometimes... birds pose for photos...
Hi birders,

This morning, I enjoyed an extensive photo shoot of a number of local
birds in our garden. What I particularly enjoyed, was photographing 3
common migrating species, that breed in our Soquel neighborhood. Below
are bird photos, best enjoyed on a large screen imho. Specifically:

Black-headed Grosbeaks. They come in the spring, set up breeding
territories, breed (usually 2 different breeding pairs near our home),
and then leave in the fall for their wintering grounds in Mexico. Today
I had, what I believe is a second year male, pose in nice light:

http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/web_ready/sparrows_allies/grosbeak_black_headed_240706a.jpg

http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/web_ready/sparrows_allies/grosbeak_black_headed_240706b.jpg

Unlike a lot of other song birds, males have a delayed alternate
(breeding) plumage. The breeding plumage does not appear until
during/after their first breeding season of their first full year. That
is, they appear not to breed the first 15 or so months of their life.

Western Flycatchers. Formerly known as the Pacific-Slope Flycatcher, the
"Pac-slope" was rejoined with the "Cordilleran Flycatcher", when
the North American Classification Committee of the American
Ornithological Society (NACC) decided to lump them together in 2023,
and re-institute the previous species: "Western Flycatcher". Had a nice
specimen pose in good light this morning:

http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/web_ready/flycatchers/flycatcher_western_240706a.jpg

http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/web_ready/flycatchers/flycatcher_western_240706c.jpg

Allen's Hummingbird. This 3.5 inch devil of a bird, with the ominous
scientific name of Selasphorus Sasin, is an absolute terror that will
chase away any bird, particularly another hummingbird, that comes close
to the bottle brush plant that it "owns". I've seen these hummers go
after scrub jays, flycatchers, woodpeckers and more. This morning's fun
photos:

http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/web_ready/hummers/hummingbird_allens_240607a.jpg

http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/web_ready/hummers/hummingbird_allens_240607b.jpg

For more photos and a full list of birds seen, check the ebird report:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S185671600

Fun birding and photography,

Pete Solé

Soquel, CA

Back to top
Date: 7/2/24 10:54 am
From: Deborah Diersch <debbiediersch...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] Olive-Sided Flycatchers
Hi Sharon,

I'm not that far away from you - in fact Cox Rd is probably only a mile as
the crow flies from my place. I'm seeing/hearing them over at the monastery
off of Pleasant Valley Road this year, too. They might have been here in
year's past, but this is the first year I've ID'd them.

Thank you!
Debbie

On Fri, Jun 28, 2024 at 4:55 PM sharonalucchesi <sharonalucchesi...>
wrote:

> I've never really noticed these before, seem to be many, LOT'S of chatter
> calls throughout the day!
>
> Day Valley~Aptos, Cox Rd area
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mbbirds/<5c3aefef-9a20-4c30-84f8-a5666be210ccn...>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mbbirds/<5c3aefef-9a20-4c30-84f8-a5666be210ccn...>?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

Back to top
Date: 7/1/24 12:59 pm
From: Kent Johnson <kentjohnson...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Pewee
On eBird I just did a search for Eastern Wood-Pewee sightings and did not see any mapped for Davenport, and the Alert for Santa Cruz County lists all reports of the bird seen there yesterday as "unconfirmed". Has there been some doubt raised about the identity of the bird?

Kent Johnson

Back to top
Date: 6/30/24 1:21 pm
From: Brian Scanlon <briancscanlon...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] Re: E. Wood Pewee refound
After I responded I saw the multiple sightings in eBird. It's remarkable
that on 6/11 there were sightings in San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco,
and Humbolt counties. All but the San Diego bird were one-day wonders. How
did that happen?

Brian

Back to top
Date: 6/30/24 12:04 pm
From: liammsf <liammsf...>

wrote:

> I wonder if this could be the same bird seen at Candlestick Point on the
> 11th? Might be a good idea to keep an eye out along the coast.
>
> Brian
>
> (Liam, don't be greedy ;).
>
> On Sun, Jun 30, 2024 at 10:55 AM liammsf <liammsf...> wrote:
>
>> Too bad :( thank you for the update.
>>
>> On Sun, Jun 30, 2024, 10:42 AM Steven Tucker <seagullsteve...>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> No sign of it while I was there this morning.
>>>
>>> Steve Tucker
>>> Salinas

Back to top
Date: 6/30/24 11:15 am
From: Brian Scanlon <briancscanlon...>
I wonder if this could be the same bird seen at Candlestick Point on the
11th? Might be a good idea to keep an eye out along the coast.

Brian

(Liam, don't be greedy ;).

On Sun, Jun 30, 2024 at 10:55 AM liammsf <liammsf...> wrote:

> Too bad :( thank you for the update.
>
> On Sun, Jun 30, 2024, 10:42 AM Steven Tucker <seagullsteve...>
> wrote:
>
>> No sign of it while I was there this morning.
>>
>> Steve Tucker
>> Salinas
>>
>> On Sun, Jun 30, 2024 at 10:06 AM liammsf <liammsf...> wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone had success with the Eastern Wood-pewee yet on Sunday?

Back to top
Date: 6/30/24 10:55 am
From: liammsf <liammsf...>
Too bad :( thank you for the update.

On Sun, Jun 30, 2024, 10:42 AM Steven Tucker <seagullsteve...> wrote:

> No sign of it while I was there this morning.
>
> Steve Tucker
> Salinas
>
> On Sun, Jun 30, 2024 at 10:06 AM liammsf <liammsf...> wrote:
>
>> Anyone had success with the Eastern Wood-pewee yet on Sunday?
>>
>> On Sat, Jun 29, 2024, 3:11 PM David Sidle <dsidle...> wrote:
>>
>>> 37.023718 , -122.209827
>>>
>>> Sent from Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
>>> Get Outlook for Android <https://aka.ms/AAb9ysg>
>>> ------------------------------

Back to top
Date: 6/30/24 10:42 am
From: Steven Tucker <seagullsteve...>
No sign of it while I was there this morning.

Steve Tucker
Salinas

On Sun, Jun 30, 2024 at 10:06 AM liammsf <liammsf...> wrote:

> Anyone had success with the Eastern Wood-pewee yet on Sunday?
>
> On Sat, Jun 29, 2024, 3:11 PM David Sidle <dsidle...> wrote:
>
>> 37.023718 , -122.209827
>>
>> Sent from Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
>> Get Outlook for Android <https://aka.ms/AAb9ysg>
>> ------------------------------

Back to top
Date: 6/30/24 10:06 am
From: liammsf <liammsf...>
Anyone had success with the Eastern Wood-pewee yet on Sunday?

On Sat, Jun 29, 2024, 3:11 PM David Sidle <dsidle...> wrote:

> 37.023718 , -122.209827
>
> Sent from Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
> Get Outlook for Android <https://aka.ms/AAb9ysg>
> ------------------------------

Back to top
Date: 6/30/24 9:25 am
From: Pete Sole <pete...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] Update on Purple Martine at Ponderosa Lodge Trails
Nice!

Great to hear that Purple Martins are breeding successfully in our area. 🙂

Thanks for sharing,

Pete

On 6/30/24 9:14 AM, Brian Scanlon wrote:
> This morning I saw all four parents at the nest tree with heads poking
> out of both nest holes.
>
> Brian Scanlon
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mbbirds/CALu_7fh2hutpvQsvjxn2zMSVihh%<3DzgKwCtezOkSefVuQhKPnNQ...>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mbbirds/CALu_7fh2hutpvQsvjxn2zMSVihh%<3DzgKwCtezOkSefVuQhKPnNQ...>?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Back to top

Date: 6/29/24 3:11 pm
From: David Sidle <dsidle...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Re: E. Wood Pewee refound

________________________________

Date: 6/29/24 2:57 pm
From: David Apgar <d_apgar...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] Eastern Wood-Pewee near Davenport
Eastern wood-pewee are more extroverted than western, happy to sally forth in bright clearings rather than darting around over shady streambeds. And they have the good manners to say their name. Other than that, good luck.

David
________________________________
Date: 6/29/24 2:23 pm
From: Phil Brown <pdpbrown...>
THe call is very different. Very little difference in plumage. Phil Brown

On Sat, Jun 29, 2024 at 2:04 PM Chris Soriano <soriano151...> wrote:

> What are some good ways to tell the difference between Eastern and Western?
>
> On Sat, Jun 29, 2024, 11:35 AM 'Jonathan Wahl' via mbbirds <
> <mbbirds...> wrote:
>
>> Currently here and being vocal.
>>
>> (37.0222780, -122.2085932)
>>
>> Jonny Wahl
>>
>> On Jun 29, 2024, at 10:45 AM, Alex Rinkert <arinkert...> wrote:
>>

>> This morning Gary Strachan found a singing EASTERN WOOD-PEWEE in the
>> Eucalyptus stand close to Cement Plant Road x Warrenella Road near
>> Davenport. Nick and I are on the bird right now. Congrats to Gary on this
>> 1st county record!
>>
>> Alex
>>
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mbbirds/CABLSEorHipwZBypSFu%<3DiCjKgQ2sf1Sk_5Rk83hPPAmxkH4d2ug...>
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mbbirds/CABLSEorHipwZBypSFu%<3DiCjKgQ2sf1Sk_5Rk83hPPAmxkH4d2ug...>?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .
>>
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mbbirds/<0BECDE20-F8A0-4F96-9A5F-1165D3BCDD8C...>
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mbbirds/<0BECDE20-F8A0-4F96-9A5F-1165D3BCDD8C...>?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .
>>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mbbirds/<CAHCdUzU6Dgqyy_ZWQPQ3yVXOEdULzRtXBM4bZD1-Di20meLuiA...>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mbbirds/<CAHCdUzU6Dgqyy_ZWQPQ3yVXOEdULzRtXBM4bZD1-Di20meLuiA...>?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

Back to top
Date: 6/29/24 2:05 pm
From: Chris Soriano <soriano151...>

<mbbirds...> wrote:

> Currently here and being vocal.
>
> (37.0222780, -122.2085932)
>
> Jonny Wahl
>
> On Jun 29, 2024, at 10:45 AM, Alex Rinkert <arinkert...> wrote:
>

> This morning Gary Strachan found a singing EASTERN WOOD-PEWEE in the
> Eucalyptus stand close to Cement Plant Road x Warrenella Road near
> Davenport. Nick and I are on the bird right now. Congrats to Gary on this
> 1st county record!
>
> Alex
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mbbirds/CABLSEorHipwZBypSFu%<3DiCjKgQ2sf1Sk_5Rk83hPPAmxkH4d2ug...>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mbbirds/CABLSEorHipwZBypSFu%<3DiCjKgQ2sf1Sk_5Rk83hPPAmxkH4d2ug...>?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mbbirds/<0BECDE20-F8A0-4F96-9A5F-1165D3BCDD8C...>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mbbirds/<0BECDE20-F8A0-4F96-9A5F-1165D3BCDD8C...>?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

Back to top
Date: 6/29/24 11:35 am
From: 'Jonathan Wahl' via mbbirds <mbbirds...>

Back to top

Date: 6/29/24 1:52 am
From: Carol Pecot <carol.pecot...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Rose-breasted Grosbeak
On Thursday our feeder was visited by a Rose-breasted Grosbeak, joining our normal resident Black-headed Grosbeaks. A beautiful male, and a new yard/forest bird for us!

Carol Pecot
Below summit, off of Old SJ

Back to top
Date: 6/28/24 5:18 pm
From: Pete Sole <pete...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Put it HERE! and other bird photos...
Hi birders,

This morning, I enjoyed photographing PYGMY NUTHATCHES. A few large fun
images best enjoyed on a big screen:

Put it HERE!!!

http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/web_ready/bushtit_chickadee_kinglet_nuthatch/nuthatch_pygmy_feeding_young_240628a.jpg

Delivered...

http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/web_ready/bushtit_chickadee_kinglet_nuthatch/nuthatch_pygmy_feeding_young_240628b.jpg

Oh, and the BLACK HEADED GROSBEAKS continued to cooperate for bird studies:

Juvi female:

http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/web_ready/sparrows_allies/grosbeak_black_headed_fm_juvi_240628a.jpg

(Is that evidence of predatory behavior against insects on her bill?)

Scrappy Sub-adult male:

http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/web_ready/sparrows_allies/grosbeak_black_headed_240628b.jpg

Adult male:

http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/web_ready/sparrows_allies/grosbeak_black_headed_240628a.jpg

Now, if I could get the males to pose in a natural setting...For more
photos and the ebird list from the morning see:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S184194650

Fun bird photography!

Pete Solé

Soquel, CA

Back to top

Date: 6/26/24 11:51 pm
From: Ken Kellman <kkellman57...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] First Ever for Me`2 Osprey
For the past 4 years in mid summer we have seen Osprey over our house on
Viewpoint Rd. in Aptos. It seems they are travelling to and from the bay to
some unknown inland site. At times there has been one bird that sounded
like it was calling others, other times there has been 2 or 3

On Wed, Jun 26, 2024, 6:58 PM sharonalucchesi <sharonalucchesi...>
wrote:

> This afternoon I heard odd calls, got my trusty Merlin and it indicated
> Osprey. Sure enough, when I looked above, 2 Osprey were having fun above
> my home. They circled around for a bit, then took off toward the North
> part of Cox Rd. This is in Day Valley, Aptos. I alerted my good neighbor,
> who also enjoyed the sight.
>
> Incredible,
>
> Sharon
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mbbirds/<37a88c44-d5ed-43eb-83fe-951469ab3296n...>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mbbirds/<37a88c44-d5ed-43eb-83fe-951469ab3296n...>?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

Back to top
Date: 6/26/24 11:51 pm
From: David Suddjian <dsuddjian...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] Kingbird ID Question
I agree it is a Western. Cassin's indeed does have pale on the outer
margin of the outer rectrices, but it is not as white as on WEKI and it
does not extend all the way into the rachis as it does on WEKI. Also it is
limited to the distal portion of the outer rectrix, while on WEKI the white
extends all the way up the shaft for the length of the feather vane

I have a BIRD BOMBS webinar on kingbird ID that illustrates this point. The
video is here:
BIRD BOMBS: Kings of the Road
<https://archive.org/embed/dfobird-bombs-2022-05&autoplay=1>

David Suddjian