monterey-bay-birders
Received From Subject
4/22/18 10:00 pm Glen Tepke <g.tepke...> [MBBIRDS] Bullock's Oriole, Natural Bridges SB, 4/22
4/22/18 5:35 pm Randy Wardle <wrwardle...> [MBBIRDS] College Lake draining
4/22/18 7:35 am 'Palikaji' via mbbirds <mbbirds...> [MBBIRDS] Cedar Waxwings!
4/16/18 5:25 pm Shantanu Phukan <phukan...> [MBBIRDS] 4 Tropical Kingbirds San Lorenzo River
4/16/18 2:35 pm Nickie Zavinsky <nickiezee0111...> [MBBIRDS] (MBBIRDS) Bird Club Meeting
4/15/18 10:32 am Bernadette Ramer <baramer...> [MBBIRDS] Western Wood Pewee
4/14/18 1:50 pm Nickie Zavinsky <nickiezee0111...> [MBBIRDS] Bird Club Meeting
4/13/18 10:22 pm DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...> [MBBIRDS] MOUNTAIN LION + MIGRANTS
4/13/18 6:09 pm Tom Helman <tomh...> [MBBIRDS] American Bitterns at Pinto Lake
4/13/18 3:44 pm Glen Tepke <g.tepke...> [MBBIRDS] White-throated Sparrow, Meder Canyon, Santa Cruz
4/11/18 9:16 pm DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...> [MBBIRDS] JOUANIN'S PETREL: A FIRST RECORD FOR NORTH AMERICA
4/9/18 1:13 pm Blake Matheson <gypaetusbarbatus1...> [MBBIRDS] No Audubon Presentation 4/10
4/8/18 10:24 pm Pete Sole <pete...> [MBBIRDS] San Benito County Birding
4/8/18 7:45 am Pete Sole <pete...> [MBBIRDS] Washed up N. Fulmars at Sunset SB
4/7/18 10:05 pm Lee Jaffe <leejaffe54...> [MBBIRDS] East Meadow update
4/7/18 3:24 pm James P Williams <jpwilliams2007...> [MBBIRDS] Osprey nest
4/6/18 7:00 pm Lisa Larson <lisafaylarson...> [MBBIRDS] Rainy day action
4/6/18 6:18 pm Cliff Bixler <clifford.bixler50...> [MBBIRDS] White Throated Sparrow and Black Headed Grosbeak
4/6/18 4:25 pm Ann Nixon <grandmaannies5...> [MBBIRDS] Black headed grosbeak
4/6/18 9:54 am jane mio <jmio...> [MBBIRDS] An opportunity to introduce Middle School students to birds:
4/5/18 10:51 pm Randy Wardle <wrwardle...> [MBBIRDS] April birding email post script
4/5/18 10:47 pm Randy Wardle <wrwardle...> [MBBIRDS] April Birding Email for Santa Cruz County
4/5/18 7:43 pm Alex Rinkert <arinkert12...> [MBBIRDS] field trip canceled
4/2/18 8:48 pm Gillian Greensite <gumtree...> Re: [MBBIRDS] East Meadow Development
4/2/18 7:57 pm Carol Pecot <carol.pecot...> [MBBIRDS] East Meadow Development
4/2/18 7:06 pm Nickie Zavinsky <nickie...> Re: [MBBIRDS] UCSC East Meadow construction
4/1/18 1:31 am Carol Pecot <carol.pecot...> [MBBIRDS] Drones and spotting scopes
3/30/18 12:52 pm Bernadette Ramer <baramer...> [MBBIRDS] Sandhill Crane over Harkins Slough 3/30/2018, Rock Wren continues on 3/28/2018
3/29/18 8:34 pm Randy Wardle <wrwardle...> Re: [MBBIRDS] FOS
3/29/18 2:25 pm silverbirder via mbbirds <mbbirds...> [MBBIRDS] FOS
3/29/18 10:56 am Lee Jaffe <leejaffe54...> [MBBIRDS] UCSC East Meadow construction
3/29/18 10:42 am Barbara Monahan <monahan...> [MBBIRDS] FOS, Pacific-coast Flycatcher
3/28/18 5:30 pm hlstephenson <hlstephenson...> [MBBIRDS] Re: FOS Birds and id confirmation for Chipping Sparrow.
3/28/18 3:16 pm 'Lisa Sheridan' via mbbirds <mbbirds...> [MBBIRDS] FOS Birds and id confirmation for Chipping Sparrow.
3/27/18 8:47 am Roseanne Prevost-Morgan <rprevost.morgan...> [MBBIRDS] Rock Wren continues
3/26/18 8:59 pm Paul Miller <millerp...> [MBBIRDS] AMDI
3/26/18 3:24 am Carol Pecot <carol.pecot...> [MBBIRDS] FOS BH GROSBEAK
3/25/18 10:34 pm Pete Sole <pete...> [MBBIRDS] Copper Blur
3/25/18 6:36 pm Sharon Hull <plants...> [MBBIRDS] Pinto Lake today
3/25/18 12:12 pm James Maughn <jamaughn...> [MBBIRDS] TROPICAL KINGBIRD Continues at SLR

Back to top
Date: 4/22/18 10:00 pm
From: Glen Tepke <g.tepke...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Bullock's Oriole, Natural Bridges SB, 4/22
This morning there was a first-year male Bullock's Oriole along the
Moore Creek trail in Natural Bridges State Beach in Santa Cruz.  Not
much other evidence of migration that we saw.  Good birding.

Glen Tepke & Carol Chetkovich
Oakland/Santa Cruz

Back to top
Date: 4/22/18 5:35 pm
From: Randy Wardle <wrwardle...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] College Lake draining
The annual draining of College Lake in Watsonville has recently begun and this afternoon there were a multitude of shorebird species present. At 3:30 pm there were many Least and Western Sandpipers, lots of Semi-palmated Plovers, Killdeer, at least one Dunlin in alternate plumage, a Dowitcher, and a Lesser Yellowlegs. In addition, there were many gulls present. California, Ring-billed, and many Bonaparte gulls as well as 38 Canada Geese. The next week or two should provide good views on the mud flats as the water recedes. The best place to view birds is on the left (west) side of the big church next to the large red shipping containers or even better right behind the church down the path a ways. You will need a scope and tripod in order to recognize species as they are pretty far out there and will get even further away as the lake empties.

Randy Wardle
Aptos

Back to top
Date: 4/22/18 7:35 am
From: 'Palikaji' via mbbirds <mbbirds...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Cedar Waxwings!
Over 100 cedar waxwings singing sweetly this early morn in three trees in my back yard- a dead poplar, a stand of ligustrums, and a sycamore!

Palika Rewilding
Living on Earth 🌿🌺🌎🌺🌿

Back to top
Date: 4/16/18 5:25 pm
From: Shantanu Phukan <phukan...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] 4 Tropical Kingbirds San Lorenzo River
This afternoon at 3:15 pm there were four Tropical kingbirds in the Sycamores along the west bank of the San Lorenzo River at the Laurel Street bridge. They seemed to be following each other as they flew into the willows along the river and then further north to the Sweet Gum trees in the bank parking lot at Soquel and River Street. At that point I lost them and couldnt see if they went westward or further north along the river. I have seen one Tropical Kingbird here on and off through the winter--but FOUR!? Any thoughts? Migrants maybe?
Shantanu Phukan

Back to top
Date: 4/16/18 2:35 pm
From: Nickie Zavinsky <nickiezee0111...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] (MBBIRDS) Bird Club Meeting
The Bird Club Meeting is held at the Santa Cruz Museum of Natural History.

Date: 4/15/18 10:32 am
From: Bernadette Ramer <baramer...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Western Wood Pewee
Yesterday I heard a WESTERN WOOD PEWEE while birding the Park Way Trail off Prospect Heights in Delaveaga Park. Bob and I went back today to try and get a look at it but it was still calling from the other side of the canyon. Gary Martindale was also there and heard it. It’s pretty early but it has been seen on April 14th a few years ago by Steve Gerow at the Archery Range area of Delaveaga Park and on 4/16/16 again by Steve on the Park Way Trail.

Lots of fun birds singing out there which include OLIVE-SIDED and PACIFIC-SLOPED FLYCATCHERS, WILSONS and ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLERS and WARBLING VIREO and many more.

Bernadette Ramer
Santa Cruz

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top

Date: 4/13/18 10:22 pm
From: DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] MOUNTAIN LION + MIGRANTS
Howdy, Birders,

San Juan Canyon Road was extremely busy with migrants yesterday. I spent the better part of the day birding along this road. The highlight for me was an outstanding and close up view of a MOUNTAIN LION! I have never posted any image, but felt that this one was well deserved.

It was a very cold morning, 43 F, and felt even colder because of the wind. I never know where to begin birding along this road— midway, or at the top. Lately, I’ve been starting at the very large pullout at the Coulter pines. That was my plan on this day. It seemed that I may have been the first vehicle to head for this area, as many quail were in the middle of the road. So, I was driving very slowly. (It might not be possible to drive so slowly on a weekend day, though.)

As I rounded one bend, the mountain lion was slowly sauntering along the left side of the road. I took one second to pull my pocket point and shoot camera out of my pocket to get the image, below. Being on a blind curve with no shoulder, I felt that I had to focus on the road and move the vehicle forward. Once I did that the lion turned its head to glance in my direction, and in one 3 second lightning bolt scaled a steep 15 foot embankment! It was out of sight so quickly. Nevertheless, I had wonderful views of a beast I’ve been hoping to see, up close and personal, from my vehicle. It felt like I had to go retrieve my heart from the road and pop it back inside of me! So, that was it.

For the remainder of the day, I birded along the same road, mostly by walking in the middle of the road— and, looking over my shoulder from time to time!

Reports from birders at Pinnacles National Park on this same date are loaded with birds. I guessed there may well have been hundreds of migrants along the eastern slope of the Gabilan Mountains.

eBird checklists:

The area where I saw the mountain lion, the Coulter pine zone, is an eBird hot spot.
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44545869 <https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44545869>

Four hours of non-stop birding, with some high counts for a few species; HAMMOND’S FLYCATCHER; BLACK-THROATED GRAY, WILSON’S, NASHVILLE, TOWNSEND’S WARBLERS; WARBLING VIREO; LAWRENCE’S GOLDFINCHES and more. I give details about where most of the birding took place along this stretch of the road. (San Juan Canyon Rd x Quinn Canyon Rd— an eBird hot spot.)
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/email?subID=S44546347 <https://ebird.org/view/checklist/email?subID=S44546347>

Note that Monterey and San Benito County lines meet at the top in Fremont State Park. Please be aware of county lines when eBirding.

Happy Trails to All!
Debi Shearwater

DEBRA SHEARWATER
Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
PO Box 190
Hollister, CA 95024
831.637.8527
<debi...>
www.shearwaterjourneys.com
www.shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com

Celebrating 43 Years of Seabirding with Shearwater Journeys
Siberia’s Forgotten Coast & Spoon-billed Sandpiper-2019
Galapagos Islands: 30 October - 12 November 2019

Back to top
Date: 4/13/18 6:09 pm
From: Tom Helman <tomh...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] American Bitterns at Pinto Lake
We had a beautiful morning of birding at Pinto Lake. The highlight was looking down from the top of the end of the first bay you come to at Pinto Lake and watching a male American Bittern puff out his white plumes and fluff them up as he walked through the water plants and vocalized. I wish I had a camera for that!. This location is at the end of the branch of the lake where the boardwalk and shrine are located. There are a couple sheds behind you as you stand on the pathway. We also had great looks at two American Bitterns in the water plants past the end of the Boardwalk next to the Shrine. It was nice and birdy today with lots of songs and calls. We also saw three muskrats, one grooming and the other two sailing low in the water.
Have a good weekend,
Tom Helman

Back to top
Date: 4/13/18 3:44 pm
From: Glen Tepke <g.tepke...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] White-throated Sparrow, Meder Canyon, Santa Cruz
There was a white-striped White-throated Sparrow in Meder Canyon in west
Santa Cruz this morning.  It was along the upper, eucalyptus-infested
part of the trail, about 50 yards below the lowest house on the east
side of the trail.  The canyon was very lively, with several
Black-headed Grosbeaks, Warbling Vireos, Wilson's and Orange-crowned
Warblers,  Pacific-slope Flycatchers and California Thrashers in full
song.  Good birding.

Glen Tepke
Oakland/Santa Cruz

Back to top
Date: 4/11/18 9:16 pm
From: DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] JOUANIN'S PETREL: A FIRST RECORD FOR NORTH AMERICA
Howdy, MBBirders,

JOUANIN’S PETREL: FIRST NORTH AMERICAN RECORD:

Today I learned that the “mystery” petrel briefly observed and photographed during the Saturday, September 12, 2015 Shearwater Journeys’ offshore albacore trip has been accepted by the California Bird Records Committee as a JOUANIN’S PETREL (Bulweria fallax). This record represents the first accepted record of this north-west Indian Ocean seabird for North America.

This was a sold out trip accompanied by leaders: Scott Terrill, Linda Terrill, Alex Rinkert, Mary Gustafson, Rick Fournier, and Debi Shearwater. In addition, Will Brooks (a leader) was on board as a “regular” along with his father, Jim Brooks. Expert seabirder, Fabio Olmos from Brazil was on board, along with many keen local and out-of-state seabirders: Cooper Scallan, Doug Koch, Bryan Hix, Paul Fenwick, Chris Hartzell, Hillary White, Peder Svingen, Peter Haines, and others. Our captain this day was John Klusmire whose experience with Debi dates back to the mid-1980’s.

Ace leader, Alex Rinkert, first spotted the petrel and called it a “Bulwer’s Petrel” from the stern of the boat which was a pretty darned good call. As the petrel circled the vessel toward the bow, Scott Terrill and I had a view as it crossed to the other side. However, having seen quite a few Bulwer’s Petrels (including the first record for North America on another of our Monterey Bay trips some years ago), I was immediately convinced that this bird was not a Bulwer’s Petrel, based on size alone. The sighting was in Santa Cruz County, based on using “nearest point of land” and at a depth of only 200 fathoms. This species occurs in shallow waters within its normal range.

It should be noted that an extremely warm water “river” occurred along the north coast, off Santa Cruz and Half Moon Bay during this period. The presence of warm water by itself was not so much a factor, as the fact that it smashed into a front of significantly cold water. It was this frontal zone that produced the food for seabirds. (It’s all about food.) Indeed, only 3 days later, we found a WHITE-CHINNED PETREL on our September 15, 2015 Half Moon Bay trip. That petrel flew in and sat on the water for 45 minutes— birders seemed to become bored with it!

Much discussion ensued following the sighting of the September 12 petrel. Eventually, Scott Terrill and I put together all of the details we could muster— including many (not-so-great) photos which became known as “the petrel package.” This was circulated to some of the top world seabirders. David Ainley, Peter Harrison and Hadoram Shirihai responded independently and immediately that they judged the petrel to be a JOUANIN’S PETREL!

Finally, the package went to the CBRC and they made a concurring diagnosis. Of course, any first record for North America requires a laborious vetting, but especially so with seabirds which often present the most fleeting of views.

So, although we had a very good number of images, I would not particularly call any of them “great.” I will try to put up a post on my blog with some of these images. I will post about that when it becomes available.

Subsequent to our first record, nine months later (June 2016) a petrel captured during mist netting at Santa Cruz Island (southern California) was identified as a Jouanin’s Petrel. It may or may not have been the same individual we saw in September 2015.

Jouanin’s Petrel occurs widely offshore in the Arabian Sea and Gulfs of Aden and Oman, where it is the commonest pelagic seabird. It has showed up as a vagrant off Australia, Kenya, Seychelles, Saudi Arabia, and other places. BirdLife lists this species as Near Threatened. There are about 4 records for Hawaii.

If you’d like to read an interesting and fun tale about Jouanin’s Petrels, I recommend this article by my friend, Bob Flood:
http://www.rarebirdalert.co.uk/v2/Content/Scilly_Pelagics_Jouanins_Petrels.aspx?s_id=746315633 <http://www.rarebirdalert.co.uk/v2/Content/Scilly_Pelagics_Jouanins_Petrels.aspx?s_id=746315633>

HISTORY OF OFFSHORE MONTEREY ALBACORE TRIPS:

The “albacore, offshore Monterey” pelagic trip was invented by Debi Shearwater back in 1983. During the 1980’s albacore, a type of tuna, regularly occurred off Monterey Bay. Reports from fishermen of incredible seabird activity prompted me to begin offering these 12 hour trips. The purpose of this trip was to present a wholistic approach to enjoying marine life. To that end, we endeavored to search for key seabirds, including Craveri’s, Scripps’s, and Guadalupe Murrelets; blue and Baird’s Beaked whales; and to catch albacore, the “cadillac” of the tunas. We never dreamed these trips would turn out to produce so many incredible seabird records. Even though the albacore changed their migration pattern and rarely occur off Monterey nowadays, we continue to operate albacore trips. These trips always sell out in advance.

Other rare, or very uncommon seabirds we have discovered on Shearwater Journeys’ past albacore trips have included: Laysan Albatross; Cook’s and Hawaiian Petrels; Streaked, Flesh-footed, Greater, and Manx Shearwaters; Least and Leach’s Storm-Petrels; Red-billed and Red-tailed Tropicbirds; Brown Booby; Craveri’s, Scripps’s, and Guadalupe Murrelets. This is a spectacular trip for jaegers, often encountering over 100 in one day! We almost always have a “grand slam” on Pomarine, Parasitic, and Long-tailed Jaegers, Long-tailed being the most commonly sighted. It is the single best trip to see South Polar Skua.

Our September 9, 2017 Albacore trip indeed found all of the jaegers, South Polar Skua; Guadalupe, Scripps’s, and Craveri’s Murrelets, and many of the “regular” fall species. Northern Waterthrush and American Redstart were “bonus” birds.

OUR UPCOMING ALBACORE: OFFSHORE MONTEREY TRIPS:
SUN. SEP. 9
SAT. SEP. 15

See our complete schedule for 2018:
http://www.shearwaterjourneys.com/schedule.html <http://www.shearwaterjourneys.com/schedule.html>

Past trip reports:
Oct. 6, 2001 with STREAKED SHEARWATER and Black-throated Gray Warbler:
http://www.shearwaterjourneys.com/ag011006.html <http://www.shearwaterjourneys.com/ag011006.html>
Sep. 15, 2002 with 42 LONG-TAILED JAEGERS and murrelets:
http://www.shearwaterjourneys.com/020913.html <http://www.shearwaterjourneys.com/020913.html>
Sep. 10, 2006 with ten FLESH-FOOTED SHEARWATERS and 1500+ Buller’s Shearwaters:
http://www.shearwaterjourneys.com/ag060910.htm <http://www.shearwaterjourneys.com/ag060910.htm>
Sep. 13, 2008 with 7000 ASHY STORM-PETRELS:
http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2008/09/shearwater-birthday-birding-sep-13-2008.html <http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2008/09/shearwater-birthday-birding-sep-13-2008.html>
Sep. 12, 2009 with 24 COOK’S PETRELS and one HAWAIIAN PETREL:
http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2009/09/trip-report-sep-12-2009-monterey.html <http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2009/09/trip-report-sep-12-2009-monterey.html>

I gratefully thank all of the leaders and especially, the participants from near and far —representing 14 different states in the USA and Canada and Brazil. Without you, the participants, we have nothing. Special thanks to the many photographers on board who sent their images, and to the reviewers who worked on this amazing record.

Now check that box!
What’s next?
Still discovering first North American records after 40 years of trips!

Date: 4/9/18 1:13 pm
From: Blake Matheson <gypaetusbarbatus1...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] No Audubon Presentation 4/10
Just an update that there is no regularly scheduled Monterey Audubon
presentation on April 10, tomorrow, due to a lack of available speakers.

​Good birding,​

--
*Blake T. Matheson*
Monterey Peninsula

Back to top
Date: 4/8/18 10:24 pm
From: Pete Sole <pete...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] San Benito County Birding
Hi birders,

Nancy and I got a late morning start, but we had a nice birding day in
San Benito County.

We followed a rough loop, leaving Tres Pinos on Quien Sabe Road. Then
took a right onto Santa Anita Road and followed it as it turned into
McCreery Ranch Road. Followed McCreery to the end which has a locked
gate, did a uturn and back tracked, until we turned left on Brown's
Valley Road (a dirt road). We followed Brown's Valley until it ended on
Panoche Road, about 1.5 miles from Paicines, where we picked up the pace
and came home.

Birding highlights included:

- WESTERN KINGBIRDS out in force, 1 or 2  birds on fence posts every 1/3
mile it seemed.
- WESTERN MEADOWLARKs, also out in force in a number of locations.
- About 5 LARK SPARROWS at one spot on Santa Anita Road.
- A few WESTERN BLUEBIRD pairs at different locations, including a pair
at the locked gate at McCreery Road.
- A distant flying PRAIRIE FALCON seen from Brown's Valley Road.

However, what stole the show were a pair of GREAT HORNED OWLs, somewhere
on McCreery Road.

http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/web_ready/owls/owl_great_horned_180409a.jpg
http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/web_ready/owls/owl_great_horned_180409b.jpg

The owls silently tracked our moves, as we looked for other birds under
the oaks from the road. My guess is that the two owls were about 25 feet
apart.

Good birding,

Pete Sole'
Soquel, CA

Back to top
Date: 4/8/18 7:45 am
From: Pete Sole <pete...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Washed up N. Fulmars at Sunset SB
Hi birders,

Yesterday (Sat.) we walked at sunset down a Sunset State Beach. Notable
were 2 dead Northern Fulmars that appeared to be have been recently
washed up on the beach. As I commented to our friend, considering the
wind and storm, what's amazing to me is how few birds wash up. That
being said, not my favorite type of birding, but it did allow close
inspection of the species.

To better birding,

Pete Sole

Soquel, CA

Back to top
Date: 4/7/18 10:05 pm
From: Lee Jaffe <leejaffe54...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] East Meadow update
I wonder if the birders, or some of them, would be up for helping us when
we try to make a splash at Alumni Weekend the 28th and 9th. We need bodies
in public places.

There is a request from the East Meadow Action Committee for help getting
the word out during Alumni Weekend. If you are interested and available to
help, contact them at <eastmeadowaction...>

Lee Jaffe

Back to top
Date: 4/7/18 3:24 pm
From: James P Williams <jpwilliams2007...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Osprey nest
For those who may not know: observed Osprey nest today (2:30 PM) from
Henry Cowell Vista Point (above and downstream from Garden of Eden) on
Highway 9.

Nest is downstream from parking area (on the river side of the highway) on
top of a large snag (Douglas Fir, I think). Two Osprey were on snag at
time of observation, one moved to nest while I watched. A third Osprey
called while circling above over the nest and river.

BTW, Pileated Woodpecker called from down-river from the Osprey nest.

--
<jpwilliams2007...>

Back to top
Date: 4/6/18 7:00 pm
From: Lisa Larson <lisafaylarson...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Rainy day action
Hi birders,

FOS Hooded Oriole arrived today and has been working the feeders. A nearly
mature RUFOUS Hummer has been here a week+. He is insistently guarding his
favorite feeder as evening progresses. Mike saw our FOS Black-headed
Grosbeak yesterday. I keep watching, but have not yet seen him.
Orange-crowned Warblers sing in the neighborhood but not at our house...yet?

Most of our Golden-crowned Sparrows are donning their finest crowns, as are
the White-crowned Sparrows. They have noshed on our wisteria blooms
gluttonously. I hope we get some show of blooms this spring!

On this rainy day, the male HOOR is a shock to the senses!

Happy spring arrivals!
- Lisa

Back to top
Date: 4/6/18 6:18 pm
From: Cliff Bixler <clifford.bixler50...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] White Throated Sparrow and Black Headed Grosbeak
The WTS continues for an other month and the eighth year. FOS FM BHG today.
Cliff Bixler
Bonny Doon

Back to top
Date: 4/6/18 4:25 pm
From: Ann Nixon <grandmaannies5...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Black headed grosbeak

Just spotted my first black headed grosbeak for the year! There’s a lot of action at my feeders today!
Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 4/6/18 9:54 am
From: jane mio <jmio...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] An opportunity to introduce Middle School students to birds:
I am looking for birders who would enjoy introducing Kathleen Crocetti’s
art students to the San Lorenzo River birds.
The Middle School students will create a mosaic to be installed by the
river. On April, 12th there are 3 walks scheduled for birding. Thanks for
contacting me know if you like join us at any one of these times:
8:20am-9:15am *or* 10:20am-11:10am *or* 1:10pm-2pm.
Thanks for your interest & replying via , Jane Mio <jmio...>

Back to top
Date: 4/5/18 10:51 pm
From: Randy Wardle <wrwardle...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] April birding email post script
My apologies. I forgot to publicly thank Lois Goldfrank and Alex Rinkert for nearly all of the information in the April birding email. I couldn't do it without them! Thanks Lois and Alex!

Randy Wardle
Aptos

Back to top
Date: 4/5/18 10:47 pm
From: Randy Wardle <wrwardle...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] April Birding Email for Santa Cruz County
For those birders that are interested, here is the birding email for April for Santa Cruz County. In it you will find information on some of the birds to be watching for this month and also some of the birds we will be saying goodbye to for the summer. I hope some of you find the info helpful.

Also, for those of you that are interested in this same type of information for Monterey County, Monterey Audubon has a very informative page on Facebook that is updated frequently with photos and migration information for that county. Santa Cruz County birders will also find the info helpful as many of the same birds show up in our county shortly after they return to Monterey County. Here is a link to their Facebook page if you would like to check it out:

https://www.facebook.com/monterey.audubon/

It's April, spring is in full bloom, and migrants are arriving every day to Santa Cruz County. During this month there will be a major migratory movement of many species, on land and at sea.

On land, Pacific-slope Flycatchers have already made their appearance, and they will be followed this month by Western Wood-Pewees, Ash-throated and Olive-sided flycatchers. Swainson's Thrushes will also return in the next few weeks. Most swallow species have already arrived, but watch for Vaux's Swifts which will be arriving in April. Purple Martins, usually arriving in late March, should be at Loma Prieta and maybe Bonny Doon Ecological Reserve this month. Also be on the lookout for Bank Swallows at some of the coastal lagoons.

Among warblers, while Orange-crowned and Wilson's are present in greater numbers, be on the lookout this month for Yellow Warblers, and more Black-throated Gray and Hermit Warblers. Yellow-rumped and Townsend's Warblers will remain with us in April, now sporting their vibrant breeding plumage.

As for sparrows, Grasshopper and Chipping Sparrows will be singing from grassland at Wilder Ranch State Park and UCSC, but by the end of the month most of the Lincoln's, Fox, White-throated and wintering “crowned” Sparrows will be gone for the summer.

One of the best places to watch migrating landbirds this month is at Loma Prieta. There you can often find Lazuli Bunting, Western Tanagers, Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, large numbers of warblers and Rufous Hummingbirds migrating. Black-chinned Sparrows may return to breed in recently burned chaparral.

Scoping out to sea along the coast this month you can see thousands of migrating Pacific Loons as well as many Red-throated and Common Loons heading up the coast. Flocks of Brant, Surf Scoter, phalaropes, terns, shearwaters, Alcids, gulls (especially Bonaparte's), jaegers, and others will also be on the move. Some of the best places to seawatch are along the north coast at El Jarro Point and turnouts near Scott's Creek and Waddell Beach. In south county, scoping out to sea from Pelican Point at Pajaro Dunes can be productive as well.

Migrating shorebirds such as Semipalmated Plover, Dunlin, and Western Sandpiper will be increasing this month. Look for them mostly in south county at Pajaro Dunes along lower Watsonville Slough and at College Lake. Along the rocky shoreline watch for Wandering Tattlers, larger groups of Black Turnstones and colorful Surfbirds in breeding plumage. Look for them at places like Black Point, along West Cliff Drive, Terrace Point and at Wilder Ranch. Overhead, Caspian Terns will become more numerous and at the end of the month there should be some Elegant Terns joining them. There is also a chance of finding a Franklin's Gull in some of the plowed fields along the north coast this month and at College Lake, if the water levels are favorable.

While most of our wintering duck and gulls will have left by the end of April, you may start seeing Canada Geese with young goslings showing up in places of the county where they breed. Brandt’s Cormorants already have eggs in some nests and now that Pigeon Guillemots have arrived, look for them to begin nesting along the rocky cliffs and under the Santa Cruz Wharf. In fact, April should find many species in the midst of breeding as spring continues. Watching for specific behaviors of breeding such as courtship rituals, carrying nesting material and nest building, and carrying food for a mate or young adds to the excitement of bird watching this time of year. To make these breeding observations count toward a larger effort, consider becoming involved with field work for the Santa Cruz County Breeding Bird Atlas II. Contact Alex Rinkert at <arinkert12...> if you are interested.

April is a very exciting month to be birding in the county with much to see every time out in the field. I wish you good birding!

Randy Wardle
Aptos

Back to top
Date: 4/5/18 7:43 pm
From: Alex Rinkert <arinkert12...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] field trip canceled
Tomorrow's Santa Cruz Bird Club field trip, Atlasing Q&A at The Tannery, has
been canceled due to impending rain.

Alex Rinkert

Back to top
Date: 4/2/18 8:48 pm
From: Gillian Greensite <gumtree...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] East Meadow Development
A reminder that the development on the East Meadow does not increase Family Student Housing. The current FSH has 199 apartments + child care center that will be demolished before their time and replaced on the East meadow with 144 units of housing + child care center.

Gillian
> [...]
>
> The university’s EIR states that any of these alternatives would avoid the adverse consequences—from design, environmental, and other perspectives—posed by the development of the East Meadow.
>
> EMAC Positions on Alternatives
>
> EMAC supports any alternative that does not build in the East Meadow and does not result in a lower number of beds. We feel that the loss in beds under Alternate #2 above could be compensated for by infill development in areas already designated for infill on-campus housing (sites near the Crown/Merrill apartments and sites near Porter, Rachel Carson College, and Oakes).
>
> EMAC also supports building student housing on land the university owns on Delaware St. on the west side, which would be easy to build on and which is near existing apartment complexes. An agreement between the university and the city of Santa Cruz currently limits off-campus university housing to 340 beds. This limit could be renegotiated were the university to provide traffic mitigation (shuttles to campus, etc.).
>
> Were the university to argue that any alternative to developing the East Meadow would pose unmanageable cost increases, we would stress the following points:
>
> *Given the lack of adequate review of the East Meadow site, it is very possible that there could be hidden costs (karst, sinkholes, and other phenomena not initially evident).
>
> *Litigation against the East Meadow development (by neighbours facing adverse environmental consequences, among other groups) could result in higher costs and considerable delay.
>
> *EMAC knows of several prominent donors who have notified the university that they will no longer give to the university if the East Meadow is developed. Given the thousands of alumni who have signed one of the two petitions protesting against East Meadow development, we estimate that development of the East Meadow would have significant negative consequences for alumni giving.
>
> *The university administration should not overturn over fifty years of stewardship and environmentally sensitive design for cost purposes.
>
> EMAC supports rational, careful development that maintains UCSC’s principles of access, fairness, and environmentally-conscious design. Let’s not let our campus’s character be determined by the priorities of an Alabama-based corporation. Let’s honour UCSC’s core values, and keep what architects and planners everywhere acclaim as one of the world’s most beautiful university campuses.
>

> --
> For Monterey Rare Bird alerts call 831-250-4550

Back to top

Date: 4/2/18 7:06 pm
From: Nickie Zavinsky <nickie...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] UCSC East Meadow construction
Thank you for keeping us appraised on this situation Lee. It is much
appreciated.
Nickie

Date: 4/1/18 1:31 am
From: Carol Pecot <carol.pecot...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Drones and spotting scopes
Hi All,

The SCBC is sponsoring, and I am organizing the first annual (hopefully) International Migratory Bird Day at Natural Bridges on Saturday, May 12. I’m really excited with how it is shaping up as we plan it, and I’ll send out more later, but for right now, I have a question about Drones and also about people willing to set up a spotting scope to look at the cormorants nesting on the bridge.

1) Is there anyone who:
-has or can get good info on drone regulation in relation to birds in natural spaces, parks, etc?
-is willing to spend some time at the IMBD educating people of the effects of drones on birds?

I plan to have an area of “How You Can Help”, and I will be working on the off leash Dog issue, but would love if someone could work on a Drone informational display, and/or be willing to be there with the information, as this is an important issue which will only be increasing in magnitude.

2) We are looking for people to set up and be with a spotting scope to help people enjoy looking at the cormorants nesting on the “bridge”. We want people to get excited about them and feel protective, so we can hopefully cut down on the number of people who climb over the barrier to the piece of the old bridge, and climb up on the remaining bridge. Both of those have nesting birds, which are obviously disrupted by people who probably haven’t realized what they might be hurting.

Our most recent example was a boy up on the bridge on Friday, while his mom was trying to take a good picture of him on the bridge!! People also climb over the barrier to get a better sunset view. Its disheartening, and a little education and attachment to the bird families could go a long way to reducing that. We would provide the display, and even the spotting scope if needed.

If you are willing and able to help in these areas, please let me know :-)
Also, if there is anything you would like to do at the IMBD event, or are willing to help out for a few hours at an informational table (to spell people) please let me know, as we could definitely use the help!

Thanks,
Carol

Back to top
Date: 3/30/18 12:52 pm
From: Bernadette Ramer <baramer...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Sandhill Crane over Harkins Slough 3/30/2018, Rock Wren continues on 3/28/2018

While birding Harkins Slough, we viewed a SANDHILL CRANE flying high overhead. It circled twice and flew south out of view.
The bird was seen in the scope as well as binoculars. Large lanky crane with long outstretched neck in flight with the legs projecting beyond tail. Appeared all dark. Unmistakable!

Also on Wednesday, 3/28, Bob and I walked to the end of the seawall south at Hidden Beach and viewed the continuing ROCK WREN bobby up and down on the rocks and then disappearing into the rocks.

Bernadette and Bob Ramer
Santa Cruz

Back to top
Date: 3/29/18 8:34 pm
From: Randy Wardle <wrwardle...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] FOS
Here in Aptos this morning within 30 minutes we had our FOS Black-headed Grosbeak, Pacific-slope Flycatcher and Hooded Oriole. I can only imagine how many thousands of migrants are on the move right now as the weather has warmed. And, here too, the hummer numbers are incredible. It seems that everyone has an abundance of them this spring.

Randy Wardle
Aptos

________________________________
Date: 3/29/18 2:25 pm
From: silverbirder via mbbirds <mbbirds...>

Date: 3/29/18 10:56 am
From: Lee Jaffe <leejaffe54...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] UCSC East Meadow construction
[...]

Center St., Santa Cruz; the second on Thurs., May 3, from 5-7 PM at the
Cultural Center at Merrill College on the UC Santa Cruz main campus. At
these meetings, public agencies and members of the public will be invited
to give oral comments on the Draft EIR. Written comments on the Draft EIR
may be submitted to: Alisa Klaus, UC Santa Cruz, , Physical Planning &
Construction, 1156 High St , Mailstop: PPDO, Santa Cruz, CA 95064, or via
email to <eircomment...> The public review period closes on Friday,
May 11, 2018, at 5 PM.

Date: 3/29/18 10:42 am
From: Barbara Monahan <monahan...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] FOS, Pacific-coast Flycatcher
FOS, Pacific-coast Flycatcher this am off my deck.

FOS, Hooded Oriole off the deck yesterday

Rufous Hummingbird continues as well as multiple Allen’s males. As you may know, adult male Allen’s defend their territory and chase off any other males. It leaves one dominate male for most of the season. This year, we have a number of males who seem to be tolerating each other. Smile. Hummingbirds are abundent this year at my house.

Barb Monahan
Off of Jarvis Road, near Scotts Valley at about 1100'

Back to top
Date: 3/28/18 5:30 pm
From: hlstephenson <hlstephenson...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Re: FOS Birds and id confirmation for Chipping Sparrow.
I had my FOS male Hooded Oriole in my yard at 1 PM in Watsonville.

Howard Stephenson
Watsonville

On Wednesday, March 28, 2018 at 3:16:57 PM UTC-7, trotrider wrote:

> This morning I received a call from a newer birder friend that he
> photographed a male *Hooded Oriole *at Anna Jean Cummings Park and
> watched *White-tail Kites* carrying nesting material. I saw his pictures
> and confirmed Yes, he did have a picture of a FOS Hooded Oriole (could this
> be the very first in the county, didn't see any others on bird?). I was
> also able to teach him how to upload his images to ebird.
>
> I went to AJC park too this AM and noticed the male WTK bringing his girl
> a nice Vole as part of their nuptial agreement and more fighting with the
> *Red-shoulder* while holding the Vole.
> I was able to enjoy close up views of a family of Turkey Vultures, always
> fun.
> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44040036
>
> I came home to a *FOS Black-headed Grosebeak* that has continued to eat
> at the suet feeder on and off for the last hour. I'm sure he is exhausted.
> This is the first year I haven’t seen a male Hooded Oriole arrive before
> the Grosbeak.
>
> Just before last weeks storm, I was surprised to watch a pair of *Dark-eyed
> Junco’s* build a nest at the base of a phormium shrub right on the
> ground. It is so well hidden but still I felt compelled to put a little
> wire grate around it to protect the three eggs.
>
> Lastly, this morning I noticed what I hope is a *Chipping Sparrow* in my
> garden.
> I’ve never seen one so I’m hoping for confirmation of a lifer. (poor image
> through the window).
> I didn't see the grey back which would have been reassuring. He is small
> and has a solid black stripe and quite rufous head.
>
> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44042056
>
> Hope everyone else is enjoying this incredible arrival of spring!
>
> Lisa Sheridan-Soquel

Back to top

Date: 3/27/18 8:47 am
From: Roseanne Prevost-Morgan <rprevost.morgan...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Rock Wren continues
Just thought I'd mention that the Rock Wren at the Seascape Sea wall is
still there. During the rainy days I didn't see it and thought it had
finally left, but this morning it proved me wrong.
Also present were about 80 Sanderlings, 70 Surf Scoters and 7 or more
Western Grebes.
Roseanne
Aptos

Back to top
Date: 3/26/18 8:59 pm
From: Paul Miller <millerp...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] AMDI
Observed two AMERICAN DIPPERs at Ferndell Falls/ Zayante and Bean Creek
confluence this afternoon around 215 PM. Lois Goldfrank and Sharon Hull
were along for the ride, snapping some great photos.
One dipper was very patiently testing leaves and twigs for quality, and
eventually carried a leaf up into the presumed nest site behind the
waterfall, about 12 feet high.
If you visit the site, please keep some distance away. I believe that they
stopped nesting there for a few years in a row due to too many birders
getting too close.
Just my opinion. May not be correct.
BTW, this visit will be atlased.
Paul Miller
Mount Hermon
831 334 4138

Back to top
Date: 3/26/18 3:24 am
From: Carol Pecot <carol.pecot...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] FOS BH GROSBEAK
Nice to see our first Black-headed Grosbeak yesterday!

Carol Pecot
Old San Jose, 4 miles below Summit

Back to top
Date: 3/25/18 10:34 pm
From: Pete Sole <pete...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Copper Blur
Hi birders,

Noticed a copper looking blur by the hummingbird feeders. Suspected a
RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD and sure enough, there was one resting on a branch
near one of our windows. Photographed through tinted windows in less
than ideal light. None the less, a few images:

http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/web_ready/hummers/hummer_rufous_180325a.jpg
http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/web_ready/hummers/hummer_rufous_180325b.jpg
http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/web_ready/hummers/hummer_rufous_180325c.jpg

First one of the season that I noticed in the garden.

Good birding,

Pete Sole'
Soquel, CA

Back to top
Date: 3/25/18 6:36 pm
From: Sharon Hull <plants...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Pinto Lake today
Lois Goldfrank and I went down to Pinto Lake today, hoping that we could fit
in some birding there between showers, with our main quarry being one of the
AMERIAN BITTERNS reported yesterday by Randy. We did find one - but only
one - but he/she was easily spotted in the green vegetation on one of the
inlets. In the DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT roost, we counted
24 active nests (which of course will be atlassed). We did get rained on
but the periods between showers were quite busy with several feeding flocks
tumbling through the oaks so it was more than worthwhile. We ended up with
38 species; ebird report with a few photos here:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S43957522.

Sharon Hull

Santa Cruz

Back to top
Date: 3/25/18 12:12 pm
From: James Maughn <jamaughn...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] TROPICAL KINGBIRD Continues at SLR
Hi all,

In case anyone's keeping track, the Tropical Kingbird continues to haunt
the willows and small shrubs on the east side of the river, between
Broadway and Riverside.

A couple of photo here:
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/10416989

Jim