monterey-bay-birders
Received From Subject
1/22/20 12:26 pm Jennifer Anderson <jka...> [MBBIRDS] Younger Lagoon
1/22/20 11:29 am Phil Brown <pdpbrown...> [MBBIRDS] Westlake pond
1/22/20 11:04 am Nelson Samuels <samnelo...> [MBBIRDS] Hollister Rough-legged Hawk
1/22/20 7:51 am Nelson Samuels <samnelo...> [MBBIRDS] Hollister Rough-legged Hawk
1/20/20 6:45 pm Pete Sole <pete...> Re: [MBBIRDS] Orchard Oriole in Pescadero SMC
1/20/20 6:31 pm Cindy Scott <cdleescott...> [MBBIRDS] Re: Palm Warbler and about Antonelli Pond
1/20/20 6:28 pm liammsf <liammsf...> [MBBIRDS] East Side Update
1/20/20 4:20 pm Kent Johnson <kentjohnson...> [MBBIRDS] Palm Warbler and about Antonelli Pond
1/19/20 9:37 pm Alvaro Jaramillo <chucao...> RE: [MBBIRDS] Orchard Oriole in Pescadero SMC
1/19/20 9:09 pm Pete Sole <pete...> [MBBIRDS] Orchard Oriole in Pescadero SMC
1/19/20 12:52 pm Lee Jaffe <leejaffe54...> Re: [MBBIRDS] Terrace point
1/19/20 11:55 am Brian Scanlon <briancscanlon...> [MBBIRDS] Snow geese at College Lake
1/19/20 10:10 am Phil Brown <pdpbrown...> [MBBIRDS] Terrace point
1/19/20 9:05 am <bryan.cockel...> RE: [MBBIRDS] Bilingual Birder?
1/19/20 7:14 am Pete Sole <pete...> Re: [MBBIRDS] Bilingual Birder?
1/18/20 9:47 pm Carol Pecot <carol.pecot...> [MBBIRDS] Bilingual Birder?
1/18/20 7:28 pm 'Steve Rovell' via mbbirds <mbbirds...> [MBBIRDS] Eastern Phoebe, Upper Carr Lake Park, Salinas
1/18/20 7:00 pm Miller, Paul <millerp...> [MBBIRDS] AMDI
1/18/20 6:33 pm 'Barbara Novelli' via mbbirds <mbbirds...> [MBBIRDS] Black and White Warbler in Bethany Curve Greenbelt
1/18/20 5:39 pm Jonah Svensson <oakenshield0522...> [MBBIRDS] Field Trip to Wilder 1/19 Cancelled
1/18/20 8:47 am Michael Bolte <mjbolte...> [MBBIRDS] Re: Natural Bridges Great Horned Owls
1/17/20 11:49 pm Kent Johnson <kentjohnson...> [MBBIRDS] Glaucous Gull continues at Sunset State Beach
1/17/20 8:16 pm Michael Bolte <mjbolte...> [MBBIRDS] Natural Bridges Great Horned Owls
1/16/20 8:35 pm DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...> [MBBIRDS] SBT County: Raptors in the snow
1/16/20 1:03 pm Lee Jaffe <leejaffe54...> [MBBIRDS] Birds of Santa Cruz, Sunday, Feb. 9th, 7:00pm @ Santa Cruz Hillel
1/16/20 11:52 am N. Goodman <nl2goodman...> [MBBIRDS] Re: Passing on Concern RE: Moss Landing
1/16/20 10:55 am liammsf <liammsf...> [MBBIRDS] Passing on Concern RE: Moss Landing
1/15/20 11:34 pm DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...> [MBBIRDS] San Benito County
1/15/20 12:38 pm Lee Jaffe <leejaffe54...> [MBBIRDS] Re: Bald Eagle on UCSC East Meadow gone
1/15/20 12:19 pm Lee Jaffe <leejaffe54...> [MBBIRDS] Bald Eagle on UCSC East Meadow now
1/15/20 12:00 pm Phil Brown <pdpbrown...> [MBBIRDS] Natural Bridges
1/15/20 10:16 am larry corridon <larry961357...> Re: [MBBIRDS] pintolake birds
1/14/20 8:42 pm 'Kraig C' via mbbirds <mbbirds...> [MBBIRDS] pintolake birds
1/14/20 8:15 pm 'Kraig C' via mbbirds <mbbirds...> [MBBIRDS] cedar waxwings
1/13/20 10:42 am Phil Brown <pdpbrown...> [MBBIRDS] Recent birds
1/12/20 10:41 pm 'Judith Belden' via mbbirds <mbbirds...> Re: [MBBIRDS] Antonelli
1/12/20 5:52 pm Brian Scanlon <briancscanlon...> Re: [MBBIRDS] Antonelli
1/12/20 5:02 pm liammsf <liammsf...> Re: [MBBIRDS] Antonelli
1/12/20 4:41 pm 'Lisa Sheridan' via mbbirds <mbbirds...> Re: [MBBIRDS] Antonelli
1/12/20 4:11 pm liammsf <liammsf...> [MBBIRDS] Antonelli
1/12/20 1:56 pm Brian Scanlon <briancscanlon...> Re: [MBBIRDS] Re: Leucistic White Gull?
1/12/20 10:02 am Pete Sole <pete...> [MBBIRDS] Re: Leucistic White Gull?
1/12/20 7:14 am Pete Sole <pete...> [MBBIRDS] Leucistic White Gull?
1/11/20 2:45 pm Pete Sole <pete...> [MBBIRDS] Nuthatch Trifecta
1/11/20 12:00 am Kent Johnson <kentjohnson...> [MBBIRDS] Southern San Mateo County
1/10/20 7:52 am adamw6 <adamw6...> [MBBIRDS] Unknown gull Moss Landing
1/9/20 10:43 am liammsf <liammsf...> Re: [MBBIRDS] Continuing Cattle Egrets
1/8/20 12:52 pm 'Karen Watkins' via mbbirds <mbbirds...> [MBBIRDS] Cattle Egret, Rio Boca Road 12:50pm
1/6/20 2:00 pm Carol Pecot <carol.pecot...> [MBBIRDS] Red Crossbills
1/6/20 1:28 pm liammsf <liammsf...> [MBBIRDS] Re: food for thought for the New Year
1/6/20 10:47 am Sharon Hull <plants...> [MBBIRDS] 1 Cattle Egret, 1 Brant
1/5/20 8:36 pm Brian Scanlon <briancscanlon...> Re: [MBBIRDS] Continuing Cattle Egrets
1/5/20 7:19 pm Pete Sole <pete...> [MBBIRDS] Continuing Cattle Egrets
1/5/20 3:54 pm Miller, Paul <millerp...> [MBBIRDS] American Dipper
1/5/20 12:02 pm Anne Spence <aspencerrt...> [MBBIRDS] Scissor tailed flycatcher
1/4/20 3:26 pm Tom Grey <tgrey...> [MBBIRDS] Monterey area visits, bird pix (belated)
1/3/20 10:36 am Jean Brocklebank <jeanbean...> [MBBIRDS] Bird ID
1/3/20 10:26 am Jean Brocklebank <jeanbean...> [MBBIRDS] Bird ID
1/2/20 6:38 pm L.T. Jaeger <ltjaeger...> Re: [MBBIRDS] Preliminary Results for the Moss Landing CBC
1/2/20 5:32 pm Bob Ramer <rjramer...> [MBBIRDS] Preliminary Results for the Moss Landing CBC
1/1/20 8:45 pm Alexander Gaguine <gaguine...> [MBBIRDS] BALTIMORE ORIOLE
12/31/19 7:29 pm <banfield...> [MBBIRDS] San Lorenzo River Tropical Kingbird
12/31/19 8:01 am 'Donald Glasco' via mbbirds <mbbirds...> [MBBIRDS] The Atlantic: The Surprisingly Cheery Reason These Baby Birds Are So Fancy
12/30/19 3:26 pm Phil Brown <pdpbrown...> [MBBIRDS] food for thought for the New Year
12/30/19 10:53 am dwbirdster <dwbirdster...> [MBBIRDS] Scissor-tailed FC and Snow Geese Dec 30
12/29/19 12:21 pm Rita Carratello <merops22...> Re: [MBBIRDS] Scissor-tailed Flycatcher Rancho Canada, Carmel Valley
12/29/19 11:56 am 'Donald Glasco' via mbbirds <mbbirds...> [MBBIRDS] Scissor-tailed Flycatcher Rancho Canada, Carmel Valley
12/29/19 10:57 am waxwingboheme <waxwingboheme...> [MBBIRDS] Black-headed Grosbeak - Westside
12/28/19 3:00 pm Cliff Bixler <clifford.bixler50...> [MBBIRDS] Younger Lagoon
12/28/19 8:27 am cdlou37 <cdlou37...> [MBBIRDS] White winged Dove Laguna Grande
12/26/19 2:34 pm 'Stephanie' via mbbirds <mbbirds...> [MBBIRDS] HOODED MERGANSER et al, Westlake Pond, SCruz

Back to top
Date: 1/22/20 12:26 pm
From: Jennifer Anderson <jka...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Younger Lagoon
The sand bridge at the mouth of Younger Lagoon has been breached and there is no water in the lagoon, except the creek in the very bottom. The SNOWY EGRETS are loving it.
Pretty impressive to have all that water gone.

Jenny Anderson

Back to top
Date: 1/22/20 11:29 am
From: Phil Brown <pdpbrown...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Westlake pond
A brief stop at Westlake pond this morning was rewarding. There were 2
pairs of HOODED MERGANSERS, 5 COMMON MERGANSERS, plenty of RING-NECKED
DUCKS, a BUFFLEHEAD, a RUDDY DUCK, fewer than I anticipated MALLARDS and
the usual flotilla of AMERICAN COOTS. There was even a BELTED KINGFISHER. A
GREAT BLUE HERON and a GREAT EGRET were on the shore and some PIE-BILLED
GREBES were actively diving.
Phil Brown

Back to top
Date: 1/22/20 11:04 am
From: Nelson Samuels <samnelo...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Hollister Rough-legged Hawk
I should also mention that Hwy 156 is a dangerous place to bird. I first tried San Felipe which has places where it is possible to park relatively safely. I spotted this Hawk from about 1/4 mile in the direction of Gilroy. It was right on the fence on the Hollister side of 156 on the San Juan side of the intersection. By jumping the curb it is possible to get fairly well off 156. It also is a good idea to go around midday when traffic is lightest. Good birding, be safe. Also look at the map on my ebird submission. All the other birds were observed from San Felipe Rd. Nelson

Back to top
Date: 1/22/20 7:51 am
From: Nelson Samuels <samnelo...>
I’m surprised this beautiful bird hasn’t been mentioned before. Located near the intersection of Hwy 156 and San Felipe Rd. It has been there for some time. A further trip to Santa Ana, Santa Anita and upper portion of Quien Sabe Rds produced ten bird of Prey species for the day. Also a quick stop by Anzar Lake in Aromas have 16 HOODED MERGANSERS.
https://ebird.org/checklist/S63642126
Nelson Samuels, Aromas

Back to top
Date: 1/20/20 6:45 pm
From: Pete Sole <pete...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] Orchard Oriole in Pescadero SMC
All,

First, thanks to Alvaro. I always learn from his posts.

Second, I moved the images. I had originally named the images
"tanager_orchard_<date>.jpg." This bird is not a tanager... :) Here are
the updated image links for anybody that looks for them:

http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/web_ready/orioles_tanagers/oriole_orchard_200119a.jpg
http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/web_ready/orioles_tanagers/oriole_orchard_200119b.jpg
http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/web_ready/orioles_tanagers/oriole_orchard_200119c.jpg

Ebird, is also updated with the new image links.

Pete

On 1/19/20 9:37 PM, Alvaro Jaramillo wrote:
> Pete et al.
> Gorgeous bird, and like you said it is cooperative. Being a pit picky here, just on terminology but I thought that maybe folks would be interested. This male is not molting, it is fresh. Most birders in the US-Canada don't get to see fresh Orchard Orioles since they are down south during this time. Molt happens after the breeding season, so right now they are relatively fresh. On many blackbirds (icterids) like the Orchard Oriole, the feathers are tipped with a different color which masks the underlying color. So in your super photos you can see that the black of the back is tipped with yellowish-green, and similarly the chestnut of the underparts is tipped yellowish. This makes the bird look a bit more diffuse in its coloration, not as crisp as those spring and summer males. These pale tips will wear away in the next couple of months, and that is how the full plumage appears, through wear, not molt. The yellow around the forehead and face is pollen staining, also common in many icterids that are nectivorous like many orioles.
> Good birding,
> Alvaro
>
> Alvaro Jaramillo
> <alvaro...>
> www.alvarosadventures.com

Back to top
Date: 1/20/20 6:31 pm
From: Cindy Scott <cdleescott...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Re: Palm Warbler and about Antonelli Pond
Azolla, also referred to as Mosquito Fern, at least from the research I did
while working in the Watsonville Wetlands.
Cindy Scott
formerly of the Watsonville Nature Center

On Monday, January 20, 2020 at 4:20:55 PM UTC-8, Kent Johnson wrote:

> I had a very slow day birding on the west side of Santa Cruz, the only
> notable bird being the PALM WARBLER previously reported at Terrace Point. I
> found it on the fence across the entrance road from the Coastal Biology
> Building.
>
> The plant covering Antonelli Pond is Azolla – sometimes called duckweed
> fern, but quite a different plant than those that usually go by the name
> duckweed, which are flowering plants of the genus *Lemna*. There are a
> couple of species in the genus *Azolla *native to California; I do not
> know which it is at Antonelli, but Azollas can be found on many freshwater
> habitats locally, including the Watsonville sloughs and many ponds. It can
> have a very fast rate of growth, and it is not unusual for it to blanket a
> pond – this happened a few years back at the pond at Quail Hollow County
> Park. One reason it can grow so fast is that it has a symbiotic
> cyanobacterium that lives in its leaves and that fixes nitrogen. Those of
> you with a botanical or agricultural background will probably know that
> plants in the legume family have a similar relationship with nitrogen
> fixing bacteria in their root nodules. For the Azolla or legumes it is
> basically like having little nitrogen fertilizer factories growing in their
> tissues. Azolla has been used for centuries in rice cultivation in Asia.
> Azolla growing on the surface of the water in a rice paddy provides shade
> that inhibits weed growth, helps suppress mosquitos, and, when it
> decomposes, adds nitrogen to the soil that greatly increases yields.
>

> Kent Johnson
>
> Boulder Creek

Back to top
Date: 1/20/20 6:28 pm
From: liammsf <liammsf...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] East Side Update
Hi MBBers,

This evening from the 18th Ave bluff, I spotted an adult male WHITE-WINGED
SCOTER. I presume that this is the same individual found by Norm and also
seen by me 10 days ago. It was much closer in today than when I saw it
before; easily identified through binoculars, and photographed (by phone
thru a scope), see eBird checklist: https://ebird.org/checklist/S63612397

Also out on the water were a pair of MARBLED MURRELETS, a small group of
MEW GULLS, and a tightly spaced group of HORNED GREBES, which have been
quite prevalent in the area lately, usually in groups.

The usual suspects were present on the rock shelf, three BLACK
OYSTERCATCHERS, four BLACK TURNSTONES, approximately one dozen SURFBIRDS,
and the recent resident GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL. One WHIMBREL and one SNOWY
EGRET were in the sand nearby. Other common birds were in the area.

Earlier today, there were two adult OSPREY posted up on opposite sides of
Schwan Lake (towards the south end & beach). There was no obvious coupling
behavior, but no territorial behavior either. Corcoran Lagoon was breached
to the ocean sometime this weekend and was basically a mudflat today. We
will see if tomorrow's rain fills it back up. It hasn't been very reliable
for ducks so far this winter.

Other interesting items from the east side recently: our recent resident
PEREGRINE FALCON was sighted 4 days ago on one of its favored cypresses
(18th and East Cliff). Last week, there were two SPOTTED SANDPIPERS in the
area; at least one resides at Corcoran Lagoon. I also observed copulation
behavior between two RED-SHOULDERED HAWKS at Corcoran Lagoon.

That's all for now!

Good birding,
Liam

Back to top

Date: 1/19/20 12:52 pm
From: Lee Jaffe <leejaffe54...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] Terrace point
My wife and I were at Terrace Point yesterday afternoon and watched two
pairs of Black Oystercatchers squabbling over a long period and we're
curious if anyone understands what that was about. They were standing on
two tongues of rock shelf, facing each other and calling back and forth.
Every once in a while, one of the pair on the left side would fly over and
harass the other pair. This went in for at least a half hour. We recalled
that a pair of Oystercatchers had 2 or 3 offspring at this location last
year. And that these birds are monogamous. So we are assume that one of
pairs are the adults from last year and wondered if the other pair were the
offspring from last year or another pair, and what the squabbling
indicated. Any insights?

Lee Jaffe

On Sun, Jan 19, 2020, 10:10 AM Phil Brown <pdpbrown...> wrote:

> I had a wander around Terrace point yesterday morning. It was cold but
> rewarding, the SNOW GOOSE continues with the large flock of CANADA GEESE in
> the area. There were most of the usuals including SAVANNAH SPAROWS and
> SAY'S PHOEBE. On my perigrinations I met Brian Bullard and we strolled
> together for a bit. He spotted and I ID'ed a PALM WARBLER on the side of
> the entrance road near the fenced enclosure. This was the same area as more
> than one Palm Warbler was seen last year.
> Phil Brown
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mbbirds/CADiQ3j0ZEQAUQ0GqKpPytUJpDHN_GquU_8COv8zSeEkYnmK%<3DHg...>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mbbirds/CADiQ3j0ZEQAUQ0GqKpPytUJpDHN_GquU_8COv8zSeEkYnmK%<3DHg...>?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

Back to top
Date: 1/19/20 11:55 am
From: Brian Scanlon <briancscanlon...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Snow geese at College Lake
2 snow geese at the lake 11:55 am

Back to top

Date: 1/19/20 9:05 am
From: <bryan.cockel...>
Subject: RE: [MBBIRDS] Bilingual Birder?
Hi Carol:
Assuming you're talking about Spanish, I might be available to lead a bilingual birding walk.
Thanks
Bryan Cockel

Date: 1/19/20 7:14 am
From: Pete Sole <pete...>
Hi Carol,

Just to be clear, which two languages are you looking for? I presume
English and Spanish but I thought I would check.

Thanks,

Pete

On 1/18/20 9:47 PM, Carol Pecot wrote:
> Hi Birders,
>
> We are looking for someone to lead a Bilingual birdwalk for novice birdwatchers at our World Migratory Bird Day celebration on May 9 at Natural Bridges. It is an important community to reach, and we would love to be able to offer it like we did last year (with Jeff Caplan’s help).
>
> If anyone is willing or knows of someone I should talk to, please contact me.
>
> Thank you!
> Carol

Back to top

Date: 1/18/20 7:28 pm
From: 'Steve Rovell' via mbbirds <mbbirds...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Eastern Phoebe, Upper Carr Lake Park, Salinas
Hi Birders -

This morning during the Salinas Parks Winter Bird Count, I found an EASTERN PHOEBE at Upper Carr Lake Park on Laurel Drive. It was vocalizing it’s raspy call from the top of a tree to the east of the paved path just north of the bridge. There have been other EAPHs in this area in past winters and this one is probably a returnee.

Steve Rovell
Marina

Back to top
Date: 1/18/20 7:00 pm
From: Miller, Paul <millerp...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] AMDI
I got the chance to help some folks see the AMERICAN DIPPER today near the
confluence of Bean and Zayante Creeks.
Elizabeth F., Brendan, and Larry C. arrived at around 3, and I joined them
at 330 or so. They hadn't found it by the time I joined. We did the loop
and made a couple laps, but nothing for at least an hour.
While watching a Kingfisher fly by, we finally heard one, and then spotted
it on a rock! After that, we had prolonged looks while it sang, bobbed,
swam, and flew around near the waterfall/confluence.
It was a lifer for two of them, and an amazing time w the bird. It really
is quite a treat to spend time with this little Ouzel gem. Hopefully you
can get a chance to check it out if you haven't ever seen one.
Paul Miller
Mount Hermon

Back to top
Date: 1/18/20 6:33 pm
From: 'Barbara Novelli' via mbbirds <mbbirds...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Black and White Warbler in Bethany Curve Greenbelt
I watched the Black and White warbler for a long time today at 4:00 foraging in the bare sycamore trees on Alta Avenue.  It seemed to be flying from lichen patch to lichen patch ( I think that's lichen hanging in the branches).  Very beautiful!Barbara NovellliWestside Santa Cruz

Back to top
Date: 1/18/20 5:39 pm
From: Jonah Svensson <oakenshield0522...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Field Trip to Wilder 1/19 Cancelled
Hey all,

The Wilder Ranch field trip for tomorrow has been cancelled due to family
reasons. Apologies for the late notice, but I'll see you guys in February
for the Terrace trip.

Good birding,

Jonah

Back to top
Date: 1/18/20 8:47 am
From: Michael Bolte <mjbolte...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Re: Natural Bridges Great Horned Owls
several people asked me about the stills! forgot the link

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mjbolte/

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 8:16 PM Michael Bolte <mjbolte...> wrote:

> Watching the GHO pair at Natural Bridges, they started a hooting duet that
> ended with the pair mating (right over my head). First time I have ever
> seen that.
>
> I recorded the duet and at the end when the male flew, he was heading for
> the mating.
>
> https://vimeo.com/385619744
>
> and a few stills of the male
>
> Mike

Back to top
Date: 1/17/20 11:49 pm
From: Kent Johnson <kentjohnson...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Glaucous Gull continues at Sunset State Beach
Late this afternoon it was in the middle of a large gull flock on the beach below the main entrance.

Kent Johnson
Boulder Creek

Back to top

Date: 1/16/20 8:35 pm
From: DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] SBT County: Raptors in the snow
Howdy, MBB’ers,

On my way home from the post office, I did a swing through Santa Ana Valley Road and then up to the top of Quien Sabe Road to see the snow. The Diablo Mountains are well dusted with snow, and some unreachable areas had four inches this evening— and, more snow falling when I left. It was beautiful. I had a tiny window of sunshine finding quite a few raptors.

Along Santa Ana Valley Road, I observed: 4 GOLDEN EAGLES, 1 COOPER’S HAWK, 6 FERRUGINOUS HAWKS, and 7 AMERICAN KESTRELS. One pair of Golden Eagles was copulating atop a small oak tree!
https://ebird.org/checklist/S63465743

Along Quien Sabe Road, I observed: 3 GOLDEN EAGLES, 1 BALD EAGLE; 3 FERRUGINOUS HAWKS, 3 AMERICAN KESTRELS, 1 MERLIN, and 2 PRAIRIE FALCONS. I was able to watch the Prairie Falcons doing courtship display flight and copulating. One ROCK WREN and 12 LARK SPARROWS were nice to see.
https://ebird.org/checklist/S63465890

The snow covered mountains were beautiful. On my return from the top of Quien Sabe Road, I could see that the east side of the Gabilan Mountains were lightly dusted with snow, too. I’ve never seen so much snow in San Benito County. Snow began falling on the distant hills as I was leaving.

Happy Trails,
Debi Shearwater

DEBRA SHEARWATER
Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
PO Box 190
Hollister, CA 95024
831.637.8527
<debi...>
www.shearwaterjourneys.com
www.shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com

Celebrating 44 Years of Seabirding with Shearwater Journeys
Siberia’s Forgotten Coast & Spoon-billed Sandpiper- 23 June - 6 July 2020
Northeast Passage: Northern Sea Route 27 July - 22 August 2020

Back to top
Date: 1/16/20 1:03 pm
From: Lee Jaffe <leejaffe54...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Birds of Santa Cruz, Sunday, Feb. 9th, 7:00pm @ Santa Cruz Hillel
I'm giving a talk about birds in our area, and where to find them,
illustrated with my photos from the past year, as a fundraiser for Santa
Cruz Hillel. Donations will be requested (optional) and a couple of metal
prints will be on offer to help raise money. I'm attaching a flier with a
link to the RSVP form but (in case it doesn't go through), here's the text
with the info and link:

*Birds of Santa Cruz*
*with Lee Jaffe*

Please join us for an armchair photographic excursion of birding in Santa
Cruz

Sunday, February 9th, 7:00pm
Tea, coffee and dessert buffet
Santa Cruz Hillel
222 Cardiff Place
Santa Cruz, CA 95060

RSVP to sarah@santacruzhillel or at
https://santacruzhillel.wufoo.com/forms/xobr4761creo5m/
$5 or more donation recommended (but not required)
All proceeds benefit Santa Cruz Hillel

Back to top
Date: 1/16/20 11:52 am
From: N. Goodman <nl2goodman...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Re: Passing on Concern RE: Moss Landing
https://www.epa.gov/emergency-response/what-information-needed-when-reporting-oil-spill-or-hazardous-substance-release

This program is targeted at recent oil spills, not historical
contamination, but it's worth a try. Also, what about contacting the Moss
Landing Marine Lab? They may know more about possible sources of oil on
the local seabed.

On Thursday, January 16, 2020 at 10:55:17 AM UTC-8, liammsf wrote:

> Hi MBB,
>
> I just read a post in a Facebook group that I'm a part of (Birding
> California) which raised a concern about the dredge operation ongoing at
> Moss Landing. Unfortunately the group is private so I can't share the post
> itself, which included a couple photos. The text that follows is
> copy/pasted from the post. I am not taking a position here, just raising
> awareness of the potential issue. I assume there might be some folks on
> this email list who have more info or might be in a position to take action
> on this if that is deemed necessary.
>
> "I apologize that this is off-topic, but I cannot find anywhere else to
> get the word out. I and others have discovered a tarry/oily substance mixed
> with silt at Moss Landing Beach. There are protected wildlife species
> nearby. There are also sections of the orange netting washing out to sea.
> Others want to remain anonymous but I am willing to stick my neck out to
> get word out if anyone is nearby and can be a witness. It is from a dredge
> operation that has gone poorly. A harbor district employee got angry with
> me when I reported it. I reported it to the County and Coastal Commission
> but I suspect there is some interest in sweeping this under the rug as it
> is a government-benefit project. Local birders and other environmental
> enthusiasts are our only hope on this. Does anyone have a number or person
> to report it to for getting justice?"
>
> Any info on this?
>
> Liam

Back to top

Date: 1/15/20 11:34 pm
From: DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] San Benito County
Howdy, MBB’ers,

Last night, I made a quick twilight drive with my dog, BB. Along John Smith Road we saw one BURROWING OWL and along Quien Sabe Road we saw one SHORT-EARED OWL. Each owl was sitting on a fencepost. At St. Francis Catholic church we saw one BARN OWL sitting in the belfry. Cool!

A ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK was reported along Highway 156 in late December. This is an extremely difficult and busy highway to try to bird. I thought I saw this raptor on 2 January, but there was just too much traffic. On 5 January, I had a good view of it. On 10 January two birders were able to get a photo and reported it on eBird: https://ebird.org/checklist/S63305257
If you try to look for this hawk, please be very careful. Rough-legged Hawk is a fairly rare raptor in San Benito County, and not even an annual winter visitor. There are a great many raptors along this busy highway. eBird reports should be logged as “incidental” as it is not possible to do a complete checklist at 60 mph.

HOLLISTER ALERT: I just want to sound a warning to be very cautious when birding around Hollister and environs. We have experienced a rash of robberies in recent weeks that are continuing. On January 1 as I was loading up my car which was parked in the driveway of my home, with all of my outside lights on, I confronted at least 3 robbers who were trying to steal stuff from my car while I was going back and forth from the car to my home. It was 0430 and dark. After yelling loudly at the robbers, I called 911, jumped in my car and went after them as they took off in their getaway vehicle. You shouldn’t do this, but I did. Since that time, I have learned of a number of robberies, many of them during daylight hours. Be vigilant and careful.

Apparently, I confronted the robbers within seconds of them getting into my car. So, the only thing of worth that they stole was a down vest. All of my optics and my purse were still in the car. My neighbor who has video cameras caught some of it on her feed. My dog and I were unharmed.

Be extra vigilant out there.

Date: 1/15/20 12:38 pm
From: Lee Jaffe <leejaffe54...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Re: Bald Eagle on UCSC East Meadow gone
Took off after about 15 minutes, circled overhead and headed towards bay.

Lee

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020, 12:19 PM Lee Jaffe <leejaffe54...> wrote:

> On fence post near middle of the field.
>
> Lee Jaffe

Back to top
Date: 1/15/20 12:19 pm
From: Lee Jaffe <leejaffe54...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Bald Eagle on UCSC East Meadow now

Date: 1/15/20 12:00 pm
From: Phil Brown <pdpbrown...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Natural Bridges
A chilly morning was nevertheless sufficiently birdy. I found a
GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLET in the Cypresses at the Delaware entrance to the
park. A RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH was calling from across the road. On the back
trail an AMERICAN KESTREL was perched high on the pines, and a HOUSE WREN
was buzzing.
Phil Brown

Back to top
Date: 1/15/20 10:16 am
From: larry corridon <larry961357...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] pintolake birds
Two days ago I spotted the resident GREAT HORNED OWL pair in the usual spot near hole 18 on the Disc course. They have now been there consistently since last spring.

Larry

> On Jan 14, 2020, at 20:41, 'Kraig C' via mbbirds <mbbirds...> wrote:
>
> The rook at county park side of pintolake, all the nests looked empty.. There was two great egrets flying around looked like they were having a territorial dispute at the county park side of the lake.. There was one lonesome
> cinnamon teal male on the county park side of the lake, where the two great egrets were flying/disputing territory.. Near the county park dock in the shallow water area north of the dock.. I saw what looked like either, Ruby crowned kinglets or huttons in the oak tree's behind Raimers ranch.. Couldn't get a close up view of them but they looked like either huttons or kinglets.. They were flying around under the branches of the oak trees gleening insects. Reminded me of the behavior of verios but they had the colors of kinglets.. couldn't tell for sure, cute little birds.. they were olive in color and had two wing bars, didn't get a close enough view of them to
> see the eye feathers..
>
> --

Back to top
Date: 1/14/20 8:42 pm
From: 'Kraig C' via mbbirds <mbbirds...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] pintolake birds

Date: 1/14/20 8:15 pm
From: 'Kraig C' via mbbirds <mbbirds...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] cedar waxwings
counted 48-50 cedar waxwings in the top of a redwood tree behind 245 mt herman road and 225 mt hermon road several days ago.. they were flying inbetween the redwood tree tops and the lower tree's/invasive vines/berries on the back side of 245 mt hermon rd.. intermingled with a flock of about 20 Robbins feeding on berries of the tree's in 225 and the berries of 245 back fence, commercial property back fence covered in invasive ivy/berries.. the robbins were on the back fence berries and the waxwings were on the trees in the lot at 225.

Back to top
Date: 1/13/20 10:42 am
From: Phil Brown <pdpbrown...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Recent birds
On Saturday morning I visited Bethany curve where I found a RED-BREASTED
SAPSUCKER. This bird has been an intermittent visitor to this location for
a couple of weeks at least. I then moved on Westcliff at Woodrow and scoped
the ocean for a while. Apart from the usuals I was pleased to see a
RED-NECKED GREBE associating with the large WESTERN GREBE flock some way
offshore, and as I watched them a pair of MARBLED MURRELETS flew in.

On Sunday morning the bird club walk at Struve slough found RING-NECKED
DUCKS, RUDDY DUCKS, BUFFLEHEAD, NORTHERN SHOVELLER and CINNAMON TEAL (and
MALLARDS of course). David Sidle found an AMERICAN BITTERN for the
group,always a nice find for this location. We had a nice selection of
warblers too with TOWNSEND'S, YELLOW-RUMPED, ORANGE CROWNED and COMMON
YELLOWTHROAT. We also got to compare HUTTON'S VIREO and RUBY-CROWNED
KINGLET.

We then went to Pajaro Dunes (river mouth) and found COMMON GOLDENEYE and a
flock of NORTHERN PINTAIL in the sea to add to the duck list. There was
also a large mixed flock of shorebirds which included MARBLED GODWITS,
LONG-BILLED CURLEWS and WHIMBREL. a SANDERLING flock foraged so close that
they seemed almost tame, and we got nice views of an AMERICAN PIPIT on the
beach. Along the river bank we saw GREATER YELLOWLEGS and a SPOTTED
SANDPIPER.

Thanks to all who joined me on the Sunday walk.

All in all a nice couple of mornings birding.

Phil Brown

Back to top
Date: 1/12/20 10:41 pm
From: 'Judith Belden' via mbbirds <mbbirds...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] Antonelli
A few years ago parts of Corcoran Lagoon had a very thick layer of duckweed covering a large area.  Then the next year it was gone.  I assumed it had been removed.  I have never seen it there since.  Perhaps there is a record of this somewhere.

Good luck,Judy Belden

On Sunday, January 12, 2020, 5:02:15 PM PST, liammsf <liammsf...> wrote:

Brian S wrote me and thought that it might be duckweed rather than algae and I think he may be right.  With some quick googling I noticed the Forest Service says duckweed can be useful for balancing of excess nitrogen in waterways in agricultural areas. But other sites say that duckweed can take over and choke off large ponds, altering the balance of the ecosystem by killing subsurface algae and fish.  Not being a biologist I can't opine on whether duckweed is good or bad for Antonelli.  But the speed at which it has taken over leads me to believe something is "out of balance." It does seem odd that it is thriving in spite of the cold nights (which seem normal).  Perhaps more sunny days than usual for wintertime?

On Sunday, January 12, 2020 at 4:41:22 PM UTC-8, trotrider wrote:
Worrisome isn’t it!I’m not that familiar with where the water is coming from but it may have a source of nitrogen from somewhere. Seems odd in winter. Maybe it’s pond  plant life?
County health I thought monitors all water sources. Perhaps make contact with them to see if they have tested.Lisa Sheridan
On Sunday, January 12, 2020, liammsf <lia...@gmail. com> wrote:

Hi all,
Tangentially birding-related question: does anyone have any info on the algae bloom explosion that is ongoing at Antonelli Pond? I first noticed it on the south end of the pond a few months ago and as of today it has essentially consumed the entire pond surface.  Is this a seasonal thing or something that occurs on a multi-year cycle?  Is there a County agency responsible for cleaning or restoration?  I've never noticed it before but admittedly have less detailed personal history on the west side than many MBBers.
Off-hand it doesn't seem to be deterring birds from resting on the water, but it sure looks gnarly...
Thoughts and ideas appreciated!
Best,Liam

Back to top
Date: 1/12/20 5:52 pm
From: Brian Scanlon <briancscanlon...>
Hi all,

Sorry I forgot to reply to mbbirds on my response to Liam.

I'm not sure there is anything particularly out of balance. Duckweed
reproduces at a very high rate and takes over quickly when introduced.
Generally the only solution short of herbicides is skimming the plants off
the surface, but you have to be very thorough. Duckweek will double its
biomass every 48 hours.

We get an outbreak of duckweed in Zayante Creek in Mt. Hermon most years
when they close the dam above the Dipper Spot. It gets flushed out in the
Fall when they lower the dam again and the rains come. I don't know if
flushing is possible for Antonelli Pond.

Brian

Back to top
Date: 1/12/20 5:02 pm
From: liammsf <liammsf...>
Brian S wrote me and thought that it might be duckweed rather than algae
and I think he may be right. With some quick googling I noticed the Forest
Service says duckweed can be useful for balancing of excess nitrogen in
waterways in agricultural areas. But other sites say that duckweed can take
over and choke off large ponds, altering the balance of the ecosystem by
killing subsurface algae and fish. Not being a biologist I can't opine on
whether duckweed is good or bad for Antonelli. But the speed at which it
has taken over leads me to believe something is "out of balance." It does
seem odd that it is thriving in spite of the cold nights (which seem
normal). Perhaps more sunny days than usual for wintertime?

On Sunday, January 12, 2020 at 4:41:22 PM UTC-8, trotrider wrote:

> Worrisome isn’t it!
> I’m not that familiar with where the water is coming from but it may have
> a source of nitrogen from somewhere. Seems odd in winter. Maybe it’s
> pond plant life?
>
> County health I thought monitors all water sources. Perhaps make contact
> with them to see if they have tested.
> Lisa Sheridan
>
> On Sunday, January 12, 2020, liammsf <lia......> <javascript:>> wrote:
>

> Hi all,
>
> Tangentially birding-related question: does anyone have any info on the
> algae bloom explosion that is ongoing at Antonelli Pond? I first noticed it
> on the south end of the pond a few months ago and as of today it has
> essentially consumed the entire pond surface. Is this a seasonal thing or
> something that occurs on a multi-year cycle? Is there a County agency
> responsible for cleaning or restoration? I've never noticed it before but
> admittedly have less detailed personal history on the west side than many
> MBBers.
>
> Off-hand it doesn't seem to be deterring birds from resting on the water,
> but it sure looks gnarly...
>
> Thoughts and ideas appreciated!
>
> Best,
> Liam
>
> --
> email to <mbb......> <javascript:>.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mbbirds/<4a12ebd0-0b4b-40c6-b9f9-164682c54951...>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mbbirds/<4a12ebd0-0b4b-40c6-b9f9-164682c54951...>?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

Back to top

Date: 1/12/20 1:56 pm
From: Brian Scanlon <briancscanlon...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] Re: Leucistic White Gull?
Hi Pete and all,

I wonder if this is the same bird that I saw at the Pajaro River mouth on
12/31. Definitely pink legs and light iris.

Pictures here:
https://flic.kr/p/2i9KrEk
https://flic.kr/p/2i9Ksd9

Brian

On Sun, Jan 12, 2020 at 10:02 AM Pete Sole <pete...> wrote:

> Hi birders,
>
> With the expert help of Bernadette and Anna (thanks very much to both!)
> we've narrowed down the id to a GLAUCOUS GULL.
>
> Fun bird to work out this morning.
>
> Pete
>

> On 1/12/20 7:13 AM, Pete Sole wrote:
> > Hi birders,
> >
> > Saturday evening at sunset and Sunset State Beach, I photographed an
> > all white leucistic gull. Unfortunately, the sun had set, so the
> > amount of light to work with was minimal. The images are horrible but
> > perhaps enough to make some kind of id guess. Here are links to 4 images:
> >
> > http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/odd/gull_lucistic_200111a.jpg
> > http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/odd/gull_lucistic_200111b.jpg
> > http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/odd/gull_lucistic_200111c.jpg
> > http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/odd/gull_lucistic_200111d.jpg
> >
> > A few notes about post processing of the pictures. The original images
> > are quite dark even with the ISO set between 1250 and 3200, hence the
> > grain in the images. To post online, I brightened the images A LOT
> > with photoshop. I also cropped to try to keep the images smaller and
> > sharper. Otherwise, I did not change the contrast, nor try to enhance
> > color in any way.
> >
> > One more piece of data, it is hard to see in the pictures, but I
> > recall the gull had dark red/pink legs. Hard to say the shade of color
> > given the sunset, but they were not yellow.
> >
> > My initial thought is that this was a Western Gull, but after looking
> > at the images, I now suspect something more like an Iceland Gull.
> >
> > Your thoughts? Any and all thoughts appreciated.
> >
> > Pete Sole
> > Soquel, CA
> >

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mbbirds/<f4b60999-e6a4-e3a5-fded-65ea50077886...>
> .

Back to top
Date: 1/12/20 10:02 am
From: Pete Sole <pete...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Re: Leucistic White Gull?
Hi birders,

With the expert help of Bernadette and Anna (thanks very much to both!)
we've narrowed down the id to a GLAUCOUS GULL.

Fun bird to work out this morning.

Pete

On 1/12/20 7:13 AM, Pete Sole wrote:
> Hi birders,
>
> Saturday evening at sunset and Sunset State Beach, I photographed an
> all white leucistic gull. Unfortunately, the sun had set, so the
> amount of light to work with was minimal. The images are horrible but
> perhaps enough to make some kind of id guess. Here are links to 4 images:
>
> http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/odd/gull_lucistic_200111a.jpg
> http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/odd/gull_lucistic_200111b.jpg
> http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/odd/gull_lucistic_200111c.jpg
> http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/odd/gull_lucistic_200111d.jpg
>
> A few notes about post processing of the pictures. The original images
> are quite dark even with the ISO set between 1250 and 3200, hence the
> grain in the images. To post online, I brightened the images A LOT
> with photoshop. I also cropped to try to keep the images smaller and
> sharper. Otherwise, I did not change the contrast, nor try to enhance
> color in any way.
>
> One more piece of data, it is hard to see in the pictures, but I
> recall the gull had dark red/pink legs. Hard to say the shade of color
> given the sunset, but they were not yellow.
>
> My initial thought is that this was a Western Gull, but after looking
> at the images, I now suspect something more like an Iceland Gull.
>
> Your thoughts? Any and all thoughts appreciated.
>
> Pete Sole
> Soquel, CA

Back to top

Date: 1/11/20 2:45 pm
From: Pete Sole <pete...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Nuthatch Trifecta
Hi birders,

This morning we birded the Bonny Doon Ecological Reserve. To my utter
amazement we got a trifecta of nuthatches including:

PYGMY NUTHATCH
RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH
and
WHITE BREASTED NUTHATCH

All 3 species were within 100 feet of each other at approximately this
GPS coordinate:

37.048894, -122.132105

https://www.google.com/maps/place/37%C2%B002'56.0%22N+122%C2%B007'55.6%22W/@37.05069,-122.1358637,3301m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d37.0488936!4d-122.1321048

To my knowledge, WHITE BREASTED NUTHATCH has never been reported at
Boony Doon before. I was so busy confirming and showing field marks and
sounds on all 3 species to a friend, that I did not take pictures.

I meant to try for varied thrush (we dipped) and pileated woodpecker (we
dipped), but got the nuthatches instead. That being said, there is lots
of evidence of pileated woodpeckers around, with rectangular holes in at
least 5 different snags.

One last interesting note, looks like the last time anybody reported on
ebird at Boony Doon Ecological Reserve was Nov. 23th. 2019. Wonder if
anybody visited during the CBC in December....

Good birding,

Pete Sole'
Soquel, CA

Back to top
Date: 1/11/20 12:00 am
From: Kent Johnson <kentjohnson...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Southern San Mateo County
I manged to find today several birds in south San Mateo County that have been scarce in Santa Cruz this winter. At the first turnout on Highway 1 north of the county line two BLACK SCOTERS were close by and a WHITE-WINGED SCOTER was well to the north toward Ano Neuvo: scope required. A MARBLED MURRELET was right off the point at Pigeon Point. Two more BLACK SCOTERS and a RED-NECKED GREBE were in the ocean off the dirt parking area at the junction of Highway 1 and Pescadero Creek Road, and a WANDERING TATTLER was roosting on a rock near the entry to the parking area just south of the mouth of Pescadero Creek. A RED-NAPED SAPSUCKER was along Butano Creek, on the east side, about 200 yards north of the bridge where the creek is crossed by Pescadero Creek Road. A male ORCHARD ORIOLE continues for the second winter in the town of Pescadero, in a bottle brush bush in front of the school on North Street.

Heading back south I stopped at Cascade Ranch and visited the brussel sprouts piles. Tons of Townsend's and Yellow-rumped Warblers and good numbers of sparrows were there. I did not find any rare species, but a partial albino Ruby-crowned Kinglet with a mostly white head, upper back, and under-tail coverts was cool.

Kent Johnson
Boulder Creek

Back to top
Date: 1/10/20 7:52 am
From: adamw6 <adamw6...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Unknown gull Moss Landing
I spotted an unknown gull this morning around 7:20 am just offshore of the beach near the North Jetty off Moss Landing Beach. GPS and photo of nearest trail junction below. I ruled out the usual Larus , etc. Flight behavior reminded me of SABINE’S GULL which is extremely out of season, and basic appearances felt like BONTEPARTE’S GULL. I need to research a bit but just putting this out there for any suggestions or if anyone is already birding the area. I doubt it’s worth any chase but I did strongly feel it was unusual for the location.

WGS-84 degrees :
Latitude: 36.811426
Longitude: -121.790139
36.811426, -121.790139

https://maps.apple.com/?q=36.81143,-121.79014
https://maps.google.com/?q=36.81143,-121.79014

Back to top
Date: 1/9/20 10:43 am
From: liammsf <liammsf...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] Continuing Cattle Egrets
After a few days of 1 missing Cattle Egret, both are now present again on Watsonville Slough near the Pelican Point parking lot (end of the road inside Pajaro Dunes)

Back to top
Date: 1/8/20 12:52 pm
From: 'Karen Watkins' via mbbirds <mbbirds...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Cattle Egret, Rio Boca Road 12:50pm
Single Cattle Egret spotted along Rio Boca Road in Pajaro Dunes across from fire station near entrance. Spooked by Red Tailed Hawk but landed again several yards downstream.

Randy & Karen Wardle
Aptos, CA

Back to top
Date: 1/6/20 2:00 pm
From: Carol Pecot <carol.pecot...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Red Crossbills
Today at water dish at our house in mixed forest of oak, Douglas fir, Redwoods. The group of about 8 was very wary. This is the second time I have noticed them.

Carol Pecot
4 miles below Summit

Back to top
Date: 1/6/20 1:28 pm
From: liammsf <liammsf...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Re: food for thought for the New Year
I thought this was a great post, and very well-written by Justyn. I will
definitely keep some of these thoughts in mind during continued birding
pursuits. If the idea is that we do this out of a love for birds and with
an eye on conservation, it is important that we not place our personal
enjoyment and ambition above the needs of the birds and the ecosystem.

In Santa Cruz, we are lucky in a sense to live in the second-smallest
county in California, where pretty much any spot in the county is within an
hour or so of any other. Especially as we mark a new year and new decade,
it's important to slow down and feel gratitude for all the gifts right in
our "backyard".

Good birding all, and happy new year!
Liam

On Monday, December 30, 2019 at 3:26:53 PM UTC-8, Phil Brown wrote:

> [...]
> many rarities are hiding out there awaiting discovery? I get it, many
> people have stated that they don’t want to bird in residential areas or
> business parks. (However, many of these areas are certainly visited by
> folks when rarities are reported from there!) But what about the large
> swath of rural and undeveloped habitat in east San Diego County? Or any
> number of the more aesthetic state and county parks?
>
> Not all of these unexplored areas are public, and most of them will not
> turn up anything “rare” on the first visit. But they may after multiple
> visits at different times of year. More importantly, however, by simply
> birding these hinterlands, you are updating and expanding our combined
> knowledge of status and distribution. By submitting eBird checklists from
> these areas, we fill in gaps on the maps. Another Greater Pewee checklist
> from Balboa Park this winter is a drop in the bucket compared to a visit to
> Barrett Lake or Portrero County Park. (Ever been to either of these
> locations? Me neither!)
>
> Will you return to Jacumba in 2020, regardless of what’s reported from
> there? Will you check *other* trails in the Lagunas or the Cuyamacas for
> crossbills this winter? On the way to or from these spots, will you stop
> off for a quick 5-minute stationary eBird count in the middle of nowhere?
>
> Hopefully, while you’re out in the far corners (or in the nearby nooks and
> crannies) you’ll be using breeding codes in your checklists, when
> appropriate. See the following link for a full explanation on when and how
> to use them:
>

> https://support.ebird.org/en/support/solutions/articles/48000837520-ebird-breeding-and-behavior-codes
>
> Noting a bird on a nest, or one carrying nesting material increases the
> value of your efforts. A revisiting of Unitt’s *San Diego County Bird
> Atlas* (which included coverage through spring 2004) is overdue, and
> eBird data may one day be utilized as the basis for a new version, much in
> the way iNaturalist data helped drive the *San Diego County Mammal Atlas*.
>
> We all, well most of us at least, enjoy listing. I’ll be on my way as soon
> as possible to see a new county bird, and given the distance, a state or
> life bird, but in the mean time I’ll try to focus on finding one on my own,
> or trying to familiarize myself with some new part of our vast county and
> state. Hopefully, by foregoing a list driven by Year Needs Alerts from
> eBird (Unsubscribe! As noted 5MR birder Karl Marx said, “You have nothing
> to lose but your chains!”), you’ll reduce stress in your life, explore
> parts of the county or state you’ve never heard of or been to, and, with
> luck, build a more satisfying list of “self-found” species of your own
> discovery. And, yes, reduce the workload of your poor eBird reviewers! By
> all means, bird more in 2020, but bird differently!
>

> Best birding in 2020, regardless of your approach.

Back to top
Date: 1/6/20 10:47 am
From: Sharon Hull <plants...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] 1 Cattle Egret, 1 Brant
Both birds are at Pelican Point at Pajaro Dunes now. Cattle Egret is hanging out by a GREG. I don’t see the 2nd CARG reported yesterday.
Sharon Hull
Santa Cruz

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 1/5/20 8:36 pm
From: Brian Scanlon <briancscanlon...>
After Pete left the CATTLE EGRETS flew to the entrance of Pajaro Dunes,
stopping near W. Beach Rd.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S63077543

Brian Scanlon

On Sun, Jan 5, 2020, 7:19 PM Pete Sole <pete...> wrote:

> Hi birders,
>
> The previously reported CATTLE EGRETS on ebird, continued in the Pajaro
> Dunes complex in the lower Watsonville Slough. We saw 2 birds present
> Sunday Jan. 5th from about 1pm to 3pm. Best seen with a scope.
>
> For the full ebird report and a distant meh photo see:
>
> https://ebird.org/checklist/S63067470
>
> Good birding,
>
> Pete Sole'
>
> Soquel, CA
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mbbirds/<30fec7b1-554a-0e6e-56c8-cb88239bb33a...>
> .

Back to top

Date: 1/5/20 3:54 pm
From: Miller, Paul <millerp...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] American Dipper
I got the opportunity to show Pamela King the AMERICAN DIPPER today.
After a lap or so of nothing, some children came to play near the
creek/waterfall, and so we started to head back to the car.
Then, from the small pedestrian bridge across Bean Creek, we spotted
one on a rock just upstream from the bridge. It put on quite a show
for us. This was around 3:15 PM Sunday.
If you haven't had a chance to see a dipper in the county, hit me up.
I'll be glad to take you out. The spot can be a bit difficult to
navigate. 2-4 PM seems to be the sweet spot.
Paul Miller
Mount Hermon
831 334 4138

Back to top
Date: 1/5/20 12:02 pm
From: Anne Spence <aspencerrt...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Scissor tailed flycatcher
1/5/2020 11:20am
Monterey, County
Palo Corona Regional Park off Carmel Valley Rd, Carmel, Ca.
The Scissor-tailed Flycatcher was spotted this morning pretty far from its original location. It is now in the open area NE of the wedding building. Farther down Carmel Valley Rd. I am going to post a picture even though I know MBB doesn’t like pictures. It should help. It was scared by a bobcat. It may have gone back over to the pond area after 12pm.

Thanks, Anne Spence
831-359-9191

Back to top
Date: 1/4/20 3:26 pm
From: Tom Grey <tgrey...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Monterey area visits, bird pix (belated)
We celebrated New Year's Eve with friends at Monterey Dunes Colony, and the
afternoon of December 31, on a walk south along the beach, I came upon on
three LONG-BILLED CURLEWS putting on quite a show as they foraged in the
surf:
https://pbase.com/tgrey/monterey_dec2019

In November for Thanksgiving week, we rented the house of Acorn Ranch, just
across Hwy 1 from Point Lobos, which provided some good bird photography as
well as a fine spot for family celebration. (Not open to the public, but
the adjacent Point Lobos Ranch Park Property, with similar habitat, should
have public access eventually.)

See caption and photos:
https://pbase.com/tgrey/monterey_november2019

--
Tom Grey
www.pbase.com/tgrey

Back to top
Date: 1/3/20 10:36 am
From: Jean Brocklebank <jeanbean...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Bird ID
Okay. Three confirmations that it is indeed a Say's.

Thanks all.

Jean

Back to top
Date: 1/3/20 10:26 am
From: Jean Brocklebank <jeanbean...>
Hi All ~

Is this a Say's phoebe? Observed at Corcoran Lagoon Beach, in the ice plant below the cliff below 23rd Avenue and looking for lunch on the Arbronia that grows in the dunes.

I'll post as soon as someone answers, to save multiple replies!

Thanks,
Jean

Back to top
Date: 1/2/20 6:38 pm
From: L.T. Jaeger <ltjaeger...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] Preliminary Results for the Moss Landing CBC
Nice report on one more fantastic Moss Landing CBC- with appropriate kudos to the contributors.

But there is one GLARING omission……

The 100 observers cherish the good will, effort, and long history of making this count what it is that BOB RAMER has provided.

Thank you (and all the rest) from the bottom of our hearts, Bob. You’re the best.

Clay

Clay Kempf,
Elkhorn

> On Jan 2, 2020, at 5:32 PM, Bob Ramer <rjramer...> wrote:
>
> Pleasant weather, an abundance of birds, and wonderful companionship rewarded the 100 observers who participated in this year’s Moss Landing CBC. I’m still working through the data; but, for now, the tentative tally for the day is 195 species. Observers reported nine species (which are not listed on the tally sheet) as follows:
>
> Long-tailed Duck: Jetty Road
> Pacific Golden Plover: north Pajaro Dunes (Palm Beach towards Sunset Beach)
> Surfbird: Jetty Road
> Black Skimmer: Jetty Road
> Pileated Woodpecker: Star Creek Ranch (restricted access)
> unidentified tanager: Pajaro Valley Golf Club
> Baltimore Oriole: Drew Lake area
> Red Crossbill: La Selva Beach
> Scaly-breasted Munia: Pinto Lake City Park
>
> A Ferruginous Hawk is currently our only count week bird (but count week goes until Saturday, January 4th). Notable “misses” included Greater Scaup, Bald Eagle, Northern Pygmy Owl, and Violet-green Swallow.
>
> As always, having a successful count depends upon the enthusiasm and dedication of the people who venture out on New Year’s Day. A special “thanks” to Jim Christmann and Joe Mancino (our boat skippers) and to the 22 area leaders. I send my heart-felt thanks to Bernadette for her continued support. And, finally, the Moss Landing count wouldn’t be so extraordinary if it wasn’t for the generosity of Ricky Warriner who graciously provides the countdown dinner. So THANK YOU, Ricky, for everything you do!
>
> Happy birding in 2020,
>
> Bob and Bernadette Ramer
>
> --

Back to top

Date: 1/1/20 8:45 pm
From: Alexander Gaguine <gaguine...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] BALTIMORE ORIOLE
The adult male BALTIMORE ORIOLE, found this morning on the Moss Landing Christmas Bird Count, was 100 yards from the east end of Cutter Way, Watsonville, atop a bare paper birch tree. It was seen by Sam Earnshaw, Jo Ann Baumgartner and myself, in Eric Feuss’s section. After four minutes of posing over the street in the open, it flew off toward Drew Lake. We hope it can be re-found!
Alexander

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 12/31/19 7:29 pm
From: <banfield...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] San Lorenzo River Tropical Kingbird
New Year's Eve afternoon i saw what I believe is a Tropical Kingbird on
the east side of the San Lorenzo River just north of Soquel Avenue.

Back to top
Date: 12/31/19 8:01 am
From: 'Donald Glasco' via mbbirds <mbbirds...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] The Atlantic: The Surprisingly Cheery Reason These Baby Birds Are So Fancy
Good article on coot chick colorations. Based on work done by our own local Bruce Lyon of UCSC.

The Surprisingly Cheery Reason These Baby Birds Are So Fancy
Unlike many other gaudy animal ornaments, the red-and-orange heads of coot chicks are honest indicators of weakness and vulnerability.

Read in The Atlantic: https://apple.news/ACV_3Na4QSEq331nIeww6oQ

Shared from Apple News

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top

Date: 12/30/19 10:53 am
From: dwbirdster <dwbirdster...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Scissor-tailed FC and Snow Geese Dec 30
Sent earlier but from wrong address! Both species around pond at Palo  Corona RP from 915 to 10 am, but Scissor-tail seems to have disappeared Dave Weber,MilpitasBy phone

Back to top
Date: 12/29/19 12:21 pm
From: Rita Carratello <merops22...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] Scissor-tailed Flycatcher Rancho Canada, Carmel Valley
Rita Carratello identified the Scissor-tail mentioned on the preceding post
at the pond at Rancho Canada, now a part of Palo Corona Reg Park on Carmel
Valley Road. It has once flown west and been absent for up to a half hour
but then returned to the pond. Also 2 imm Snow Geese with goose flock. Don
Roberson

--
Rita Carratello

Back to top
Date: 12/29/19 11:56 am
From: 'Donald Glasco' via mbbirds <mbbirds...>

Date: 12/29/19 10:57 am
From: waxwingboheme <waxwingboheme...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Black-headed Grosbeak - Westside
Howdy all,

I got a great view of a young male type BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK on the
Westside this AM.
It was in the backyard of a private property, feeding on persimmons.
I think it's the first I've seen in December in Santa Cruz.

Happy New Year,
Christian Schwarz

Back to top
Date: 12/28/19 3:00 pm
From: Cliff Bixler <clifford.bixler50...>
The Snow Goose continues on the benchland field across from Younger Lagoon.
Western Bluebirds on Back Ranch Rd.
Cliff Bixler
Bonny Doon

Back to top
Date: 12/28/19 8:27 am
From: cdlou37 <cdlou37...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] White winged Dove Laguna Grande
815am There is a White-Winged Dove with 5 collared dove on top of telephone pole at Grant and Virgin Streets by Laguna Grande Park.Calvin LouSFSent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Back to top
Date: 12/26/19 2:34 pm
From: 'Stephanie' via mbbirds <mbbirds...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] HOODED MERGANSER et al, Westlake Pond, SCruz
A nice variety at Westlake Pond, Santa Cruz, this am.  HOODED MERGANSER (male & female), 2 COMMON MERGANSER, 1 RING-NECK DUCK, 2 BUFFLEHEAD, and the other usuals.  Good chance to see these close up.

~Stephanie