monterey-bay-birders
Received From Subject
12/7/19 10:12 am M Levy <levysantacruz...> [MBBIRDS] Re: Red Crossbills
12/6/19 6:14 pm Judy Donaldson <calqua...> Fw: [MBBIRDS] CACKLING GEESE at Capitola
12/6/19 2:22 pm Judy Donaldson <calqua...> [MBBIRDS] CACKLING GEESE at Capitola
12/6/19 12:57 pm Cliff Bixler <clifford.bixler50...> [MBBIRDS] Red Crossbills
12/6/19 9:22 am 'Lisa Sheridan' via mbbirds <mbbirds...> Re: [MBBIRDS] Night shooting of owls and nightjars
12/6/19 9:09 am Jean Brocklebank <jeanbean...> [MBBIRDS] Night shooting of owls and nightjars
12/5/19 9:57 pm 'Kraig C' via mbbirds <mbbirds...> [MBBIRDS] hooded mergansers at vista del lago scotts valley
12/5/19 7:46 pm 'Stephanie Singer' via mbbirds <mbbirds...> Re: [MBBIRDS] (Final) Birding email for Santa Cruz County for December
12/5/19 6:05 pm Jeff Poklen <jpkln...> [MBBIRDS] Gulls at Waddell and Baldwin Creek
12/5/19 5:02 pm Randy Wardle <wrwardle...> [MBBIRDS] (Final) Birding email for Santa Cruz County for December
12/4/19 12:52 pm <kingfisher11...> [MBBIRDS] Lesser Black-backed Gull Continues at Harkin's Slough
12/2/19 5:34 pm '<sssss10000...>' via mbbirds <mbbirds...> [MBBIRDS] Re: Christmas Biird Count
12/2/19 12:37 pm liammsf <liammsf...> [MBBIRDS] Re: Bonaparte’s Gull
12/2/19 8:15 am 'Palikaji' via mbbirds <mbbirds...> Re: [MBBIRDS] Digest for - 1 update in 1 topic
12/1/19 5:44 pm Don Roberson <creagrus...> [MBBIRDS] Top 10 and Top 25 birds in Monterey Co.
11/30/19 7:26 pm Blake Matheson <gypaetusbarbatus1...> Re: [MBBIRDS] Christmas Biird Count
11/30/19 7:08 pm fb97e4ad <fb97e4ad...> [MBBIRDS] Christmas Biird Count
11/30/19 3:47 pm liammsf <liammsf...> [MBBIRDS] Re: Bonaparte’s Gull
11/30/19 2:36 pm Alex Rinkert <arinkert12...> [MBBIRDS] kittiwakes
11/29/19 9:37 pm Alex Rinkert <arinkert12...> [MBBIRDS] Lesser Black-backed Gull, misc.
11/27/19 2:05 pm Sharon Hull <plants...> [MBBIRDS] Bonaparte’s Gull
11/26/19 7:05 pm Earl Lebow <hawkowl...> [MBBIRDS] Correction on Harlan's Hawk
11/26/19 6:22 pm Sonia Deetz <soniadeetz...> Re: [MBBIRDS] Scaly-breasted Munia -- Santa Cruz
11/26/19 5:30 pm Nicholas Levendosky <n.levendosky...> [MBBIRDS] Scaly-breasted Munia -- Santa Cruz
11/26/19 4:27 pm Earl Lebow <hawkowl...> [MBBIRDS] Harlan's Hawk
11/26/19 3:34 pm Alex Rinkert <arinkert12...> [MBBIRDS] Breeding Bird Atlas: Year 3 report
11/26/19 10:54 am dwbirdster <dwbirdster...> [MBBIRDS] Laguna Grande Nov 26
11/26/19 9:23 am Tom Grey <tgrey...> Re: [MBBIRDS] Eastern Phobe
11/25/19 10:47 pm 'KENT VAN VUREN' via mbbirds <mbbirds...> [MBBIRDS] Eastern Phobe
11/25/19 1:05 pm LIFE <ejfeucht...> [MBBIRDS] Eastern Phoebe, Laguna Grande
11/25/19 12:49 pm Larry Corridon <larry961357...> [MBBIRDS] ignore e-mail
11/24/19 9:04 pm DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...> [MBBIRDS] SAN BENITO MOUNTAIN BRIEF REPORT
11/24/19 8:11 am Pete Sole <pete...> [MBBIRDS] UCSC Arboretum Birds Sat. 11/23
11/24/19 6:50 am 'Donald Glasco' via mbbirds <mbbirds...> [MBBIRDS] Brown Booby still at Pr Pinos
11/22/19 10:09 pm Phil Brown <pdpbrown...> [MBBIRDS] Santa Cruz 300 club
11/22/19 4:35 pm Don Roberson <creagrus...> [MBBIRDS] MTY highlights updated
11/22/19 9:39 am 'Donald Glasco' via mbbirds <mbbirds...> [MBBIRDS] Brown Booby Pt Pinos
11/19/19 10:42 am 'Lisa Sheridan' via mbbirds <mbbirds...> [MBBIRDS] 7 White-fronted
11/19/19 10:28 am June Langhoff <junelanghoff...> [MBBIRDS] Greater White-fronted Goose in Spring Lakes. SV
11/19/19 10:26 am Jane Orbuch <jorbuch...> [MBBIRDS] How Climate Change Will Affect Birds in Your Area | Audubon
11/18/19 11:42 am 'Alex Jones' via mbbirds <mbbirds...> Re: [MBBIRDS] Bald eagle
11/18/19 7:28 am Larry Corridon <larry961357...> [MBBIRDS] bird feeder Hierarchies
11/17/19 11:19 am 'William Tyler' via mbbirds <mbbirds...> [MBBIRDS] Bald eagle
11/16/19 3:02 pm Randy Wardle <wrwardle...> [MBBIRDS] "Brewer's Duck"
11/16/19 1:43 pm Kent Johnson <kentjohnson...> [MBBIRDS] Empire Grade Crossbills and Nuthatches
11/16/19 1:21 pm 'Andy Knorr' via mbbirds <mbbirds...> [MBBIRDS] RedCrossbills
11/16/19 1:07 pm 'Andy Knorr' via mbbirds <mbbirds...> [MBBIRDS] Red Crossbills
11/15/19 7:58 am James Maughn <jamaughn...> [MBBIRDS] White-breasted Nuthatch at QHRCP
11/14/19 2:09 pm Cliff Bixler <clifford.bixler50...> Re: [MBBIRDS] crossbill irruption
11/13/19 8:06 pm Alex Rinkert <arinkert12...> [MBBIRDS] crossbill irruption
11/12/19 10:20 pm Randy Wardle <wrwardle...> [MBBIRDS] Re: Crossbills
11/12/19 10:58 am L.T. Jaeger <ltjaeger...> Re: [MBBIRDS] Maybe Glaucous Gull on Moss Landing SB
11/12/19 9:56 am Randy Wardle <wrwardle...> [MBBIRDS] Crossbills
11/11/19 2:46 pm Blake Matheson <gypaetusbarbatus1...> [MBBIRDS] MAS Program tomorrow night, 11/12, on the Birds and Wildlife of Tanzania
11/11/19 1:08 pm Earl Lebow <hawkowl...> Re: [MBBIRDS] Re: Red Crossbill and Red-Breasted Nuthatch
11/11/19 12:25 pm Earl Lebow <hawkowl...> [MBBIRDS] Re: Red Crossbill and Red-Breasted Nuthatch
11/11/19 11:44 am Earl Lebow <hawkowl...> [MBBIRDS] Red Crossbill and Red-Breasted Nuthatch
11/10/19 5:21 pm Alvaro Jaramillo <chucao...> RE: [MBBIRDS] Maybe Glaucous Gull on Moss Landing SB
11/9/19 7:20 pm James Maughn <jamaughn...> Re: [MBBIRDS] Maybe Glaucous Gull on Moss Landing SB
11/9/19 5:51 pm Alvaro Jaramillo <chucao...> RE: [MBBIRDS] Maybe Glaucous Gull on Moss Landing SB
11/9/19 4:28 pm James Maughn <jamaughn...> [MBBIRDS] Maybe Glaucous Gull on Moss Landing SB
11/9/19 12:42 pm Jonah Svensson <oakenshield0522...> [MBBIRDS] field trip canceled
11/9/19 12:15 pm Andrew Rush <e.difficilis...> [MBBIRDS] Albino peep? - Moss Landing
11/8/19 1:26 pm Brian Scanlon <briancscanlon...> [MBBIRDS] Black-and-white Warbler
11/8/19 1:15 pm Brian Scanlon <briancscanlon...> [MBBIRDS] Black and White Warbler
11/7/19 9:19 pm Cliff Bixler <clifford.bixler50...> [MBBIRDS] Article about Australian Black Kites using fire to flush prey.
11/7/19 4:45 pm 'susan uyeda' via mbbirds <mbbirds...> [MBBIRDS] Munias are back in SCZ
11/7/19 12:15 pm Lee Jaffe <leejaffe54...> Re: [MBBIRDS] 10:45AM Nov 7, UCSC Great Meadow, Ferruginous Hawk and Golden Eagles
11/7/19 11:09 am Michael Bolte <mjbolte...> [MBBIRDS] 10:45AM Nov 7, UCSC Great Meadow, Ferruginous Hawk and Golden Eagles
11/7/19 10:36 am liammsf <liammsf...> [MBBIRDS] Black-and-White Warbler
11/7/19 9:29 am Alex Rinkert <arinkert12...> [MBBIRDS] field trip rescheduled

Back to top
Date: 12/7/19 10:12 am
From: M Levy <levysantacruz...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Re: Red Crossbills
And you are where?

On Friday, December 6, 2019 at 12:57:07 PM UTC-8, Cliff Bixler wrote:

> A flock of 5 males and 2 females just landed on our fountain outside the
> kitchen window. Great views from 15 ft.

Back to top
Date: 12/6/19 6:14 pm
From: Judy Donaldson <calqua...>
Subject: Fw: [MBBIRDS] CACKLING GEESE at Capitola
Hmmm...I guess it's really:
ALEUTIAN CACKLING GOOSE --Branta hutchinsii leucopareia.
(There is a "Small cackling goose"-- Branta hutchinsii mimima.)

----- Forwarded Message ----- From: Judy Donaldson <calqua...>To: MBB Monterey Bay Birds <mbbirds...>Sent: Friday, December 6, 2019, 2:22:26 PM PSTSubject: [MBBIRDS] CACKLING GEESE at Capitola
Since Monday, a pair of CACKLING GEESE have been grazing on lawns next to the Soquel Creek path--just upstream of the trestle. They notice me but seem unconcerned when I stop to watch. Once they started to approach but went back to grazing instead. (Maybe someone has fed them.) They were there daily between 8 & 10 am.

They are small--the size of a large Mallard--and have the white neck-ring that the 2001 Sibley guide indicates is typical. So unless the terminology/distinction for Aleutian and Cackling geese has changed since then, "Aleutian" is my call.  The guides say males are larger but these two look identical...so, not a "couple".
Judy DonaldsonCapitola

Back to top

Date: 12/6/19 12:57 pm
From: Cliff Bixler <clifford.bixler50...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Red Crossbills

Date: 12/6/19 9:22 am
From: 'Lisa Sheridan' via mbbirds <mbbirds...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] Night shooting of owls and nightjars
Thank you for sharing this Jean. As hard as it was to watch, it seems essential for advocates of birds To be aware that this is going on. Lisa Sheridan
On Friday, December 6, 2019, Jean Brocklebank <jeanbean...> wrote:

https://www.komitee.de/en/homepage

New CABS video: Night shooting on owls and nightjars in Lebanon

Committee Against Bird Slaughter (CABS)
08 November, 2019 (08.11.2019)

For the first time, our latest CABS video shows the large-scale indiscriminate night poaching of protected migratory birds occurring each autumn in northern Lebanon. During the recent CABS bird protection camp – in conjunction with the Middle Eastern Sustainable Hunting Centre (MESHC), Society for the Protection of Nature in Lebanon and Association for Bird Conservation in Lebanon جمعية حماية الطيور في لبنان, our team documented night shooting on the mountain ridges around the district of Danniyeh, Northern Governorate. Dozens of poachers were filmed using loud electro-acoustic lures and bright lamps to target protected species such as nightjar, scops owls, corncrake and any other passing migratory bird. As highlighted in international media, in recent weeks, protests have broken out across the country in objection to corruption and lack of democracy. Environmental concerns have also been raised and we can only hope in solidarity with our Lebanese friends that this may soon lead to more pro-active measures for better bird protection.

Video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55lZ23JOeu0

Back to top

Date: 12/5/19 9:57 pm
From: 'Kraig C' via mbbirds <mbbirds...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] hooded mergansers at vista del lago scotts valley
one male and one female hooded merganser at vista del lago/ 444 whispering pines mobile estates in scotts valleyin the 151-1xx loop/first left after clubhouse

Back to top
Date: 12/5/19 7:46 pm
From: 'Stephanie Singer' via mbbirds <mbbirds...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] (Final) Birding email for Santa Cruz County for December
This is such a terrific- and beautiful- resource, thank you Randy & Pete!  Thanks also for the shout-out for the Bird Club and the Breeding Bird Atlas!!

~Stephanie

Date: 12/5/19 6:05 pm
From: Jeff Poklen <jpkln...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Gulls at Waddell and Baldwin Creek
I’ve just put up a few photos of gulls (mainly Iceland) seen at Baldwin
Creek mouth and Waddell Beach taken over the past week.

GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL
GLAUXOUS-WINGED X WESTERN GULL
WESTERN GULL
ICELAND GULL (THAYER’S)
HERRING GULL

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmJuYy6d <https://flic.kr/s/aHsmJuYy6d>

Jeff Poklen

Back to top
Date: 12/5/19 5:02 pm
From: Randy Wardle <wrwardle...>

The Santa Cruz County Birding Year - lighthousenet.com<http://www.lighthousenet.com/sc_birding_year/>

Date: 12/4/19 12:52 pm
From: <kingfisher11...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Lesser Black-backed Gull Continues at Harkin's Slough
The LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL first seen on 11/29 continues at Harkin's
slough, found with a large flock of gulls at the north end of the slough
as seen from the kayak put in on the west side of the slough.

Dave Lavorando

Santa Cruz

Back to top
Date: 12/2/19 5:34 pm
From: '<sssss10000...>' via mbbirds <mbbirds...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Re: Christmas Biird Count
You might find the following page helpful:
http://www.natureali.org/cbcs.htm
Each year they post the dates for all the CBC's in California, sorted by
place, and over on the right, by date. Also listed at the contacts for
each count.
Sue

On Saturday, November 30, 2019 at 7:08:46 PM UTC-8, fb97e4ad wrote:

> This year, I would like to respectfully request that everyone posting
> about the Christmas Bird Count please be specific about which one they are
> referring to.
>
> These are the ones I've figured out so far:
>
> Santa Cruz - 14 Dec
> Monterey - 27 Dec
> Pinnacles - 28 Dec
> Moss Landing - 1 Jan
>
> Does anyone know when the Big Sur, Panoche Valley, Los Baños, or other
> counts are?
>
> Rick Berg
> Seaside

Back to top
Date: 12/2/19 12:37 pm
From: liammsf <liammsf...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Re: Bonaparte’s Gull
I'd now estimate the number of Bonaparte's Gull in the Live Oak area to be
between 12-16, as of midday today. I've observed most of them hunting in
the surf break pretty continuously since this morning (visible from the
18th Ave bluff and nearby streets). Several also continue in the lagoon
outlet, which was breached to the ocean (I assume by county workers)
yesterday morning. Beware the intense smell as Corcoran Lagoon empties and
6 months worth of standing water gets churned up by the waves!

On Saturday, November 30, 2019 at 3:47:12 PM UTC-8, liammsf wrote:

> This bird continues today, Saturday, and has been joined by a second.
> They were seen about half an hour ago in the lagoon outlet on the beach
> (ocean side of East Cliff). A few MEW GULLS have also been regular here
> for a week or two and are now on the ocean in even higher numbers. I also
> observed a POMARINE JAEGER flying east about 1 mile out from the 18th Ave
> bluff. There's a good amount of gull/scoter/loon activity on the east side
> of town, but most other bird activity remains suppressed at this time by
> the cold and the rain.
>
> On Wednesday, November 27, 2019 at 2:05:48 PM UTC-8, plants wrote:
>>
>> In the oceanside section of Corcoran Lagoon now. (Lots of other
>> waterfowl on the lagoon too.)
>> Sharon Hull
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 12/2/19 8:15 am
From: 'Palikaji' via mbbirds <mbbirds...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] Digest for - 1 update in 1 topic
Thankyou for this splendid documentation and list!

Palika Rewilding
Living on Earth 🌿🌺🌎🌺🌿

> On Dec 2, 2019, at 7:15 AM, <mbbirds...> wrote:
>

> <mbbirds...> Google Groups
> Topic digest
> View all topics
> Top 10 and Top 25 birds in Monterey Co. - 1 Update
> Top 10 and Top 25 birds in Monterey Co.
> Don Roberson <creagrus...>: Dec 01 05:43PM -0800
>
> About this time last year, Rita Carratello, Michael Rieser, and I put together an illustrated and annotated "top 10" list of birds seen in the wild in Monterey County. We now think that the two new county birds discovered in 2019 by Rick Fournier warrant a place on the Top 10 list because of their rarity. So we've revised the MTY Top 10, and then expanded the project to the Top 25 birds for the County. This seemed like a good way to spend a rainy weekend.
>
> The revised Top 10 / Top 25 is now available for your entertainment at
> http://creagrus.home.montereybay.com/MTYtop10.html
>
> Incidentally, the total Monterey County list is now at 499 species. What will be #500? Will it crack the Top 10 as did this year's new species?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Don Roberson
> MTY bird records compiler
> Back to top
> You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to mbbirds+<unsubscribe...>

Back to top

Date: 11/30/19 7:26 pm
From: Blake Matheson <gypaetusbarbatus1...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] Christmas Biird Count
Hi Rick

Big Sur is Dec 15.

Happy Holidays and Good birding,

Blake Matheson

--
*Blake T. Matheson*
Monterey Peninsula

Back to top

Date: 11/30/19 3:47 pm
From: liammsf <liammsf...>
This bird continues today, Saturday, and has been joined by a second. They
were seen about half an hour ago in the lagoon outlet on the beach (ocean
side of East Cliff). A few MEW GULLS have also been regular here for a
week or two and are now on the ocean in even higher numbers. I also
observed a POMARINE JAEGER flying east about 1 mile out from the 18th Ave
bluff. There's a good amount of gull/scoter/loon activity on the east side
of town, but most other bird activity remains suppressed at this time by
the cold and the rain.

On Wednesday, November 27, 2019 at 2:05:48 PM UTC-8, plants wrote:

> In the oceanside section of Corcoran Lagoon now. (Lots of other waterfowl
> on the lagoon too.)
> Sharon Hull
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 11/30/19 2:36 pm
From: Alex Rinkert <arinkert12...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] kittiwakes
A juvenile BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKE was at the offshore end of the Santa Cruz
Wharf not too long ago this afternoon. There was also a RED-NECKED GREBE
closer to the base of the wharf. Earlier today another juv BLACK-LEGGED
KITTIWAKE flew by West Cliff. Thousands of loons were streaming by
throughout the morning but otherwise few birds were choosing to battle the
rain.

Alex Rinkert

Santa Cruz

Back to top
Date: 11/29/19 9:37 pm
From: Alex Rinkert <arinkert12...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Lesser Black-backed Gull, misc.
I've been seawatching between showers the past few days. Every time I've
looked out to sea the LOONS have been streaming by at a good rate of
hundreds to thousands per hour. However, the best movement so far has been
of RHINOCEROS AUKLETS, especially on November 26. In a one-hour seawatch off
West Cliff I tallied about 1,890 flying by in flocks. Their movement
continued into the afternoon that day as later off Seabright SB about 710
flew by in one hour.

Five ANCIENT MURRELETS were off West Cliff and a POMARINE JAEGER was off
Seabright on Nov 26, and a RED-NECKED GREBE was near the Santa Cruz Wharf on
Nov 27. I saw a female WHITE-WINGED SCOTER from the Waddell Bluffs and a
male and female BLACK SCOTER further into Ano Nuevo Bay in San Mateo Co. on
Nov 28.

A BRANDT'S CORMORANT was carrying nest material off West Cliff on Nov 26. I
think there may have been a nest start on the little rock off Lighthouse
Point but I did not go investigate at a closer distance. Last Sunday, Nov
24, I saw another Brandt's carrying nest material off Point Pinos in
Monterey Co. While it may seem unseasonal for this behavior, they are known
to begin nesting in December in southern California. They've also been seen
nest building in November in Santa Cruz County previously, but these
attempts are likely discontinued with the onset of winter weather.

This morning I went looking for Scaly-breasted Munias in south county but
had no luck at Pinto Lake City Park (where they were last year) or
Salsipuedes Creek (no reports yet, but a good place to check). At Harkins
Slough there was a huge gull flock roosting on the slough and commuting back
and forth from the landfill. I managed to pick out an adult LESSER
BLACK-BACKED GULL just before one of the GOLDEN EAGLES overhead flushed all
the gulls into the air. Photos are on eBird:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S61852419

Alex Rinkert

Santa Cruz

Back to top

Date: 11/26/19 7:05 pm
From: Earl Lebow <hawkowl...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Correction on Harlan's Hawk
Brian Sullivan pointed out to me that this Harlans actually has some red in the tail.
I have appended his e-bird report with photos showing most of the distinguishing features.
https://ebird.org/checklist/S61684592

Back to top
Date: 11/26/19 6:22 pm
From: Sonia Deetz <soniadeetz...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] Scaly-breasted Munia -- Santa Cruz
1 adult and 5 juvenile Scaly-breasted Munias at our feeder and water bath today in Corralitos.
Sonia Deetz

Sent from my iPad

> On Nov 26, 2019, at 5:30 PM, Nicholas Levendosky <n.levendosky...> wrote:
>
> They have finally made it to Santa Cruz City. I was surprised two days ago (11/24) when I heard an unfamiliar chatter in my backyard, which turned out to be a group of SCALY-BREASTED MUNIAS (6). Then yesterday, within about the same time frame as the previous day, they returned for another short visit. This time I counted eight individuals. I had enough time to take the obligatory low light fuzzy photos to be uploaded to eBird. Keep your eyes open if you are around the Seabright neighborhood.
>

> Nick Levendosky
> Midtown Santa Cruz
> --

Back to top

Date: 11/26/19 4:27 pm
From: Earl Lebow <hawkowl...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Harlan's Hawk
The continuing Red-tailed Hawk(Harlan's type) was seen this morning on a lamppost and telephone wires at Molera Road off the west side Hiway 1. It is  just off the Nashua-Molera exit. It has been seen in this location off and on for almost a month.
All dark buteo with larger white  streaks on the upper breast and small white spots and blotches on the flanks and belly. No red tail in flight. A good version of a classic Harlan's. Worth the trip if you haven't already gone to see it.

Earl Lebow

Back to top
Date: 11/26/19 3:34 pm
From: Alex Rinkert <arinkert12...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Breeding Bird Atlas: Year 3 report
The annual report for Year 3 of the Santa Cruz County Breeding Bird Atlas II
is now available on the Santa Cruz Bird Club website:
https://santacruzbirdclub.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Atlas_Year3_AnnualR
eport_Final.pdf

This was the biggest year yet in the five year project, which began in 2017.
As a result of an increased effort from a growing contingent of volunteers,
more breeding confirmations and atlasing hours were submitted this year than
any year previously. The project is about 60% complete and we are at 45% of
our fundraising goal. Thanks to the many supporters of the atlas and
especially to all those contributing observations. We will begin our fourth
year of fieldwork in March 2020.

Alex Rinkert

Atlas Director

Back to top
Date: 11/26/19 10:54 am
From: dwbirdster <dwbirdster...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Laguna Grande Nov 26
Eastern phoebe and Tropical Kingbird seen along Virgin Ave side of lake from Virgin patch to restroom mid morning  but have disappeared. Swamp Sarrow near In n Out.Dave Weber,MilpitasBy phone

Back to top
Date: 11/26/19 9:23 am
From: Tom Grey <tgrey...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] Eastern Phobe

--
Tom Grey
www.pbase.com/tgrey

Back to top

Date: 11/25/19 1:05 pm
From: LIFE <ejfeucht...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Eastern Phoebe, Laguna Grande
There is an Eastern Phoebe flycatching off the chainlink fence at the playground/volleyball court along Virgin Ave at Laguna Grande. Im not sure if this is a continuing bird, I can’t find any previous reports on MBBIRDS or eBird. Dark above, whitish below extending from tail to throat, yellow wash on belly. There is a Say’s Phoebe in the area as well.

Lizzie Feucht
Arcata, CA

Back to top
Date: 11/25/19 12:49 pm
From: Larry Corridon <larry961357...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] ignore e-mail
If you receive an e-mail supposedly from asking for a favor or money ignore it, please. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Larry Corridon
<larry971357...> <mailto:<larry971357...>

Back to top
Date: 11/24/19 9:04 pm
From: DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] SAN BENITO MOUNTAIN BRIEF REPORT
Howdy, Birders,

This is a report from a long day of birding at the bottom of San Benito County, yesterday, November 23, 2019.

Alex Rinkert and I left my home in Hollister a little after 4 a.m. We spent the bulk of the day birding at the Clear Creek BLM area.
https://www.blm.gov/programs/recreation/permits-and-passes/lotteries-and-permit-systems/california/clear-creek-management-area

NOTE: A 4WD or AWD vehicle with high clearance is an absolute must. With rain predicted for the next six out of the next seven days, it will not be possible to get up to this area, even with 4WD. I would not recommend driving in the dark in this area, under any circumstances.

In the Hernandez Valley, quite a few TULE ELK were crossing the road. It was still dark when we entered the BLM area after crossing the San Benito River (dry). We stopped at Oak Flat campground and clearly heard a NORTHERN SAW-WHET OWL. From there, we continued on R14 and R11 for most of the day. We also headed out to Spanish Lake where Fresno County borders San Benito County. The only THICK-BILLED FOX SPARROW was in the leather oaks/manzanita near the lake.

Birds were very thin. Highlights included: VARIED THRUSH, PYGMY NUTHATCH, GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLET, parties of PINE SISKINS, a male LAWRENCE’S GOLDFINCH amongst the more common birds. We saw many flocks of PURPLE FINCHES mixed with WESTERN BLUEBIRDS, often feeding on coffeeberries. One flock of about 50 purple finches had a solitary adult male EVENING GROSBEAK. We spent a fair amount of time trying to find the grosbeak after it flew off, but were never successful in relocating it. According to my records, this is the twelfth record of evening grosbeak for San Benito County (only 3 records in eBird). Raptors are always very rare in this area, and the only one we found was a COOPER’S HAWK.

We were very surprised that we did not find any cedar waxwings, red-breasted nuthatches, or red crossbills. The only quail we saw were CALIFORNIA QUAIL, no mountain quail.

By noon things had quieted down a lot. So, we began the rugged trip out to Coalinga Road. Near Hernandez Reservoir, we spotted an adult male BALD EAGLE.

Along Highway 25 we saw several large parties of YELLOW-BILLED MAGPIES and a GOLDEN EAGLE feasting on the ground south of Bitterwater Valley. Along the way, we saw one PRAIRIE FALCON.

We dipped into Pinnacles National Park just in time to see a good sized group of CALIFORNIA CONDORS coming in to the evening roost site. Very nice!

It was a lovely day, although very quiet for birds at times. And, I had an awesome birding companion! eBird lists will be loaded soon.

Happy Trails,
Debi Shearwater

DEBRA SHEARWATER
Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
PO Box 190
Hollister, CA 95024
831.637.8527
<debi...>
www.shearwaterjourneys.com
www.shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com

Celebrating 44 Years of Seabirding with Shearwater Journeys
Siberia’s Forgotten Coast & Spoon-billed Sandpiper- 23 June - 6 July 2020
Northeast Passage: Northern Sea Route 27 July - 22 August 2020

Back to top
Date: 11/24/19 8:11 am
From: Pete Sole <pete...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] UCSC Arboretum Birds Sat. 11/23
Hi birder,

Yesterday, Sat. 11/23 we birded the UCSC Arboretum in the afternoon and
had a nice mix of birds.

Highlights included a RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER calling and working a
deciduous dawn redwood tree, just outside the fence about 50 feet from
the group picnic area with a sink.

We saw and photographed (so so photos) GOLDEN CROWNED KINGLETS.

FOX SPARROWS were relatively common with at least 4 individuals seen.

To see some photos and a full list, see the ebird report here:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S61686359

Good birding,

Pete Sole
Soquel, CA

Back to top
Date: 11/24/19 6:50 am
From: 'Donald Glasco' via mbbirds <mbbirds...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Brown Booby still at Pr Pinos
Booby s in buoy at Ppt Pinos

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 11/22/19 10:09 pm
From: Phil Brown <pdpbrown...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Santa Cruz 300 club
Hi All,
if you are a current or new member please contact me with your current
count of species seen in Santa Cruz County.
Thanks,
Phil Brown

Back to top
Date: 11/22/19 4:35 pm
From: Don Roberson <creagrus...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] MTY highlights updated
Thanks to photos by Bill Hill, Jessica Griffiths, Blake Matheson, and Jeff Smith, the Monterey County's bird highlights have been updated into the 3d week of November, at
http://creagrus.home.montereybay.com/MTY_2019c.html

Thanks, Don

Don Roberson
MTY bird records compiler

Back to top
Date: 11/22/19 9:39 am
From: 'Donald Glasco' via mbbirds <mbbirds...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Brown Booby Pt Pinos
Brown Booby hanging out on red buoy at Pt Pinos, Pacific Grove

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 11/19/19 10:42 am
From: 'Lisa Sheridan' via mbbirds <mbbirds...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] 7 White-fronted
Hi All, Monday there were about 150 White Pelicans and many more groups flying  in at West Marine. Seven juvenile White-fronted geese were on the far side of slough closer to Landmark School.
Lisa Sheridan

Back to top
Date: 11/19/19 10:28 am
From: June Langhoff <junelanghoff...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Greater White-fronted Goose in Spring Lakes. SV
21 Canada Geese and one Greater White-fronted Goose have been hanging out
at the upper lake in Spring Lakes Park for over ant hour. (8:40 am to
10:27). The Canadas are grazing on the grass verge. Whenever the GWFG
approaches too near, a CANG chases it away. I took a few photos, will post
if anything is recognizable.

Back to top
Date: 11/19/19 10:26 am
From: Jane Orbuch <jorbuch...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] How Climate Change Will Affect Birds in Your Area | Audubon
Haven’t seen this posted on Monterey Bay Area bids and thought many of your might be interested. You can put in your zip code to check your area’s projected prospects.

> [...]
>
> False Spring
> False springs (unseasonably warm, mid-winter days) “trick” plants into flowering early.
>
> Fire Weather
> Wildfires incinerate habitat, and if they burn repeatedly, prevent it from recovering.
>
> Urbanization
> Cities demolish bird habitat, and are often located in the places birds need.
>
> Spring Heat Waves
> Spring heat waves endanger young birds in the nest.
>
> Heavy Rain
> Heavy rainfall can flood nests and impede parents from feeding their chicks.
>
> Lake Level Rise
> Rising lake levels flood coastal habitat important to nesting birds.
>
> Cropland Expansion
> Growing agriculture destroys bird habitat—though farms can be designed and managed to be friendlier to birds.
>
> Sea Level Rise
> Sea level rise permanently consumes coastal habitat.
>
> National Audubon Society
>
> Audubon protects birds and the places they need, today and tomorrow.
> Home  <https://www.audubon.org/>
> News  <https://www.audubon.org/news>
> Featured  <https://www.audubon.org/menu/features>
> Birds  <https://www.audubon.org/birds>
> Conservation  <https://www.audubon.org/conservation>
> Get Outside  <https://www.audubon.org/get-outside>
> Magazine  <https://www.audubon.org/past-magazine-issues>
> About Us  <https://www.audubon.org/about>
> Press Room  <https://www.audubon.org/menu/press-room>
> Careers  <https://www.audubon.org/about/careers>
> Audubon en Español  <https://www.audubon.org/audubon-en-espanol>
> Annual Meeting  <https://www.audubon.org/about/audubons-annual-meeting-members>
> Audubon Near You  <https://www.audubon.org/about/audubon-near-you>
> Notice of Annual Meeting  <https://www.audubon.org/voteaudubon>
> Donate Now  <https://action.audubon.org/support/donate-now?ms=digital-fund-web-website_nas-footer-donate>
> Renew Membership  <https://action.audubon.org/support/renew-now?ms=digital-fund-web-website-nas-footer-renew>
> Join Audubon  <https://action.audubon.org/support/join-now?ms=digital-fund-web-website_nas-join_audubon_footer-20180500>
> Monthly Giving  <https://act.audubon.org/onlineactions/RkFnsAaHNE-8v6cjGVFIrw2?ms=digital-fund-web-website_nas-footer-monthly>
> Adopt a Bird  <https://gifts.audubon.org/adoption-center>
> Legacy Gift  <http://www.audubon.planyourlegacy.org/>
> Audubon Products  <https://www.audubon.org/marketplace>
> Online Store  <https://store.audubon.org/>
> Take Action  <https://www.audubon.org/takeaction>
> National Audubon Society Legal Notices <https://www.audubon.org/terms-use> Privacy Policy <http://audubon.org/privacy-policy> Contact Us <https://www.audubon.org/contact-us>
> Urge your members of congress to support clean energy technology  Take Action <https://act.audubon.org/onlineactions/CPFvaM5HCUq49MB_LJl6UA2?ms=policy-adv-web-website_nas-reportfooter-20191010_best_act_reportfooter_climatereport_singlecta&sourceid=1221442>

Back to top
Date: 11/18/19 11:42 am
From: 'Alex Jones' via mbbirds <mbbirds...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] Bald eagle
Seen over by Life Lab this morning , perched in redwood with dead top by
lower Life Lab entrance/bike path (reported to me by Whitney Cohen)

--
Alex Jones
Campus Natural Reserve Manager

Back to top
Date: 11/18/19 7:28 am
From: Larry Corridon <larry961357...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] bird feeder Hierarchies

Interesting article about feeder competition between species.
> https://www.audubon.org/news/who-wins-feeder-war?ms=digital-eng-email-ea-x-engagement_20191116_20191116-bird-feeder_%5baudience%5d&utm_source=ea&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=engagement_20191116_20191116-bird-feeder&utm_content=%5baudience%5d&emci=fb169816-b307-ea11-828b-2818784d6d68&emdi=155e111f-4909-ea11-828b-2818784d6d68&ceid=3149173 <https://www.audubon.org/news/who-wins-feeder-war?ms=digital-eng-email-ea-x-engagement_20191116_20191116-bird-feeder_[audience]&utm_source=ea&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=engagement_20191116_20191116-bird-feeder&utm_content=[audience]&emci=fb169816-b307-ea11-828b-2818784d6d68&emdi=155e111f-4909-ea11-828b-2818784d6d68&ceid=3149173>
Larry C.

Back to top

Date: 11/16/19 3:02 pm
From: Randy Wardle <wrwardle...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] "Brewer's Duck"
While birding at Pinto Lake County Park yesterday afternoon, I saw an unusual, striking looking "Brewer's Duck" (Mallard X Gadwall hybrid) feeding with some Gadwall and Blue-winged Teal near the boardwalk area. Photos of the bird are included in my eBird report.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S61482414

Randy Wardle
Aptos

Back to top
Date: 11/16/19 1:43 pm
From: Kent Johnson <kentjohnson...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Empire Grade Crossbills and Nuthatches
This morning there were many RED CROSSBILLS and RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES along Empire Grade between Felton Empire Road and Feather Lane. I stopped 4-5 times along this stretch of road and had both species at each stop, including about 50 crossbills at Spaten Way and about 10 nuthatches between there and Felton Empire Rd. Analysis of the crossbill call types has not yet been done, but I think they were probably all type 2.

Kent Johnson
Boulder Creek

Back to top
Date: 11/16/19 1:21 pm
From: 'Andy Knorr' via mbbirds <mbbirds...>
Camp 76!

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 11/16/19 1:07 pm
From: 'Andy Knorr' via mbbirds <mbbirds...>
Flock at campsite 78 Sunset St. Beach

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 11/15/19 7:58 am
From: James Maughn <jamaughn...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] White-breasted Nuthatch at QHRCP
Hi All,

While lugging my Cold around the Discovery Loop at Quail Hollow Ranch CP
yesterday afternoon, I noticed a White-breasted Nuthatch in the
weirdly-pruned cypress-type tree with a birdhouse nailed to it across from
the crushed shed. Since I'm aware that the description above only makes
sense to someone in the throes of a virus, the exact location and some
photos can be found here:

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/35703824

Jim

Back to top
Date: 11/14/19 2:09 pm
From: Cliff Bixler <clifford.bixler50...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] crossbill irruption
I got a message from Earl the other day asking if we had Red Crossbills in
Bonny Doon. I stepped outside and looked up into our pine trees and sure
enough. A flock of Red Crossbills.
Yesterday FOS Pine Siskins arrived in our yard.

Back to top

Date: 11/12/19 10:20 pm
From: Randy Wardle <wrwardle...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Re: Crossbills
Here is a link to my ebird report with a few photos of the male Red Crossbill taking a great bath in a small dish on my back deck. I couldn't believe my eyes when I looked out the window today!

https://ebird.org/checklist/S61409798

Randy Wardle <wrwardle...>

________________________________
Date: 11/12/19 10:58 am
From: L.T. Jaeger <ltjaeger...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] Maybe Glaucous Gull on Moss Landing SB
I’ll chime in here as well since the bird seems a bit problematic. Overall, the bird’s head doesn’t seem “blocky” enough to be a pure Glaucous. Specifically, the bill seems a bit large, and the forehead is very sloped; I think of Glaucous Gull having a steeper forehead.

Why isn’t this bird an albino Western Gull, or, alternatively, an albino Western x Glaucous-winged?

Clay

Clay Kempf
Elkhorn

> On Nov 10, 2019, at 5:21 PM, Alvaro Jaramillo <chucao...> wrote:
>
> James
> Not sure what to think. It is not a first cycle (juvenile) gull, as it is too worn and it has pale eyes. But as a second cycle, it looks so uniformly white without any gray showing up on the mantle as you might expect in Glaucous. But I don’t think I can find any specific mark that eliminates Glaucous as a consideration, other than gut feel, and that is not really a way to identify a bird in this case. I don’t know.
> Alvaro
>
> Alvaro Jaramillo
> <alvaro...>
> www.alvarosadventures.com

Back to top

Date: 11/11/19 2:46 pm
From: Blake Matheson <gypaetusbarbatus1...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] MAS Program tomorrow night, 11/12, on the Birds and Wildlife of Tanzania
Don't forget to join MAS tomorrow night for a special presentation on the
birds and wildlife of Tanzania:

The Usambara Mountains of northeastern Tanzania are not usually on anyone’s
tourist route. The roads are bumpy and the infrastructure is poor. However,
because of its isolation, there are unique flora and fauna, including
endemic birds and endangered species to track down. With the help of an
experienced local guide, Don Roberson and Rita Carratello visited there in
June 2018 for 5 days. They also made a return visit to two favorite safari
parks -- Tarangire NP and Ngorongoro Conservation Area -- to search for the
iconic mammals of East Africa.

Doors open at the PG Museum of Natural History at 7:00, talk to begin at
7:30.

Good birding,

Date: 11/11/19 1:08 pm
From: Earl Lebow <hawkowl...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] Re: Red Crossbill and Red-Breasted Nuthatch
Last update. Crossbills moved to campsite 62 for a short while and the flock of 12 lifted off and Just headed SE towards the only open campground before you get to the beach. Could be anywhere at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 11, 2019, at 12:25 PM, Earl Lebow <hawkowl...> wrote:
>
> My error regarding the Nuthatches. Meant to say at least 1/2 dozen seen and heard but likely more. Also this campground is closed but there is a parking area just before the entrance on your right. Short walk to campground 73.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Nov 11, 2019, at 11:44 AM, Earl Lebow <hawkowl...> wrote:
>>

>> Sunset State Beach Campsite #73
>>
>> At least a dozen Red Crossbills and an equal number of Nuthatches calling and feeding in this area now. Great photo ops and sound recordings. You need to pay or have a State Park Pass to drive in. Park outside the campground and it’s a short walk in. Seenwith Norm Uyeda
>>
>> Earl Lebow
>> Sent from my iPhone
>
> --

Back to top
Date: 11/11/19 12:25 pm
From: Earl Lebow <hawkowl...>
My error regarding the Nuthatches. Meant to say at least 1/2 dozen seen and heard but likely more. Also this campground is closed but there is a parking area just before the entrance on your right. Short walk to campground 73.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 11, 2019, at 11:44 AM, Earl Lebow <hawkowl...> wrote:
>

> Sunset State Beach Campsite #73
>
> At least a dozen Red Crossbills and an equal number of Nuthatches calling and feeding in this area now. Great photo ops and sound recordings. You need to pay or have a State Park Pass to drive in. Park outside the campground and it’s a short walk in. Seenwith Norm Uyeda
>
> Earl Lebow
> Sent from my iPhone

Back to top

Date: 11/10/19 5:21 pm
From: Alvaro Jaramillo <chucao...>
James

Not sure what to think. It is not a first cycle (juvenile) gull, as it is too worn and it has pale eyes. But as a second cycle, it looks so uniformly white without any gray showing up on the mantle as you might expect in Glaucous. But I don’t think I can find any specific mark that eliminates Glaucous as a consideration, other than gut feel, and that is not really a way to identify a bird in this case. I don’t know.

Alvaro

Alvaro Jaramillo

<mailto:<alvaro...> <alvaro...>

www.alvarosadventures.com

www.alvarosadventures.com <http://www.alvarosadventures.com>

Date: 11/9/19 7:20 pm
From: James Maughn <jamaughn...>
Alvaro and All,

Here are some somewhat better photos of the whatever-it-was white gull on
Moss Landing State Beach late this afternoon.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jmaughn/sets/72157711714226176

Jim

On Sat, Nov 9, 2019 at 6:04 PM James Maughn <jamaughn...> wrote:

> Alvaro, I will be posting them as soon as I get home. It will probably be
> another hour or so.
>
> On Sat, Nov 9, 2019, 5:51 PM Alvaro Jaramillo <chucao...>
> wrote:
>
>> James
>>
>> It would be good to see the photos in more detail. It may in fact be a
>> leucistic gull, but I don’t know. Something just looks odd about the shape,
>> and the fact that the primaries look very worn (it is early for that).
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Alvaro
>>

>> Alvaro Jaramillo
>>
>> <alvaro...>
>>
>> www.alvarosadventures.com

Back to top

Date: 11/9/19 12:42 pm
From: Jonah Svensson <oakenshield0522...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] field trip canceled
The Santa Cruz Bird Club trip to Henry Cowell tomorrow has been canceled
because I am not feeling well.

Jonah Svensson

Back to top
Date: 11/9/19 12:15 pm
From: Andrew Rush <e.difficilis...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Albino peep? - Moss Landing
Hello,
I was just watching an interesting shorebird On Jetty Rd. at Moss Landing. I saw it first at fairly close range on the mudflats just east of the Porto-lets. It flew over to the shore closer to the bridge at one point.

In size and shape, it looks closest to the nearby western sandpipers, but it’s feathers are nearly or completely white. It has fairly bright yellow legs. It is smaller than the sanderlings in the flock. I assume it is an albino or leucistic wester sandpiper.

It really stands out. It was very easy to pick out of the flock in flight also.

I only have binoculars and I was able to make a blurry video and a few blurry photos.

Hopefully, someone else can check it out.

Andrew Rush

Back to top
Date: 11/8/19 1:26 pm
From: Brian Scanlon <briancscanlon...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Black-and-white Warbler
Duh

Back to top
Date: 11/8/19 1:15 pm
From: Brian Scanlon <briancscanlon...>
Continuing this morning at Bethany Curve in pine tree between Alta and
Plateau 10am

these pixels were arranged on and sent from this handheld computer

Back to top
Date: 11/7/19 9:19 pm
From: Cliff Bixler <clifford.bixler50...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Article about Australian Black Kites using fire to flush prey.
Hi Birders:
I know it is out of MBB's geographic area but it has to do with bird
behavior which I find fascinating. Birds using tools. I always hear of
Green Herons using small sticks as lures but this is way more dramatic.
https://cosmosmagazine.com/biology/australian-raptors-start-fires-to-flush-out-prey?fbclid=IwAR26_DKbEmhLd_XfZ9w5PmCaczfgPuswss5LKOTtnuzI5gMEnb81ElaR8cs

Back to top
Date: 11/7/19 4:45 pm
From: 'susan uyeda' via mbbirds <mbbirds...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Munias are back in SCZ
Tonight at around 4:30 6 Scaly-breasted Munias returned to my feeder. There were 4 adults and 2 juveniles. They were so ravenously hungry that they pushed HOFI aside to get to the millet.

Norman Uyeda

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Back to top
Date: 11/7/19 12:15 pm
From: Lee Jaffe <leejaffe54...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] 10:45AM Nov 7, UCSC Great Meadow, Ferruginous Hawk and Golden Eagles
Ferruginous hawk is there now.

Lee Jaffe

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019, 11:09 AM Michael Bolte <mjbolte...> wrote:

> This morning on my bike ride up the bike path through the great meadow
> there was a Ferruginous Hawk and a pair of Golden Eagles being harassed by
> red-tails and ravens
>
> Mike
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mbbirds/<CAHHT3Y8R0Q_WX-hhVZ1QPxqLjNNUjxsYzBaAY6fWjdvMpVDu6Q...>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mbbirds/<CAHHT3Y8R0Q_WX-hhVZ1QPxqLjNNUjxsYzBaAY6fWjdvMpVDu6Q...>?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

Back to top

Date: 11/7/19 10:36 am
From: liammsf <liammsf...>
This bird continues at Bethany Curve this morning, last seen around 10:30 in the well-manicured section of creek (near the succulents) in the first block from the water.

Back to top
Date: 11/7/19 9:29 am
From: Alex Rinkert <arinkert12...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] field trip rescheduled
The Santa Cruz Bird Club field trip to Swanton Pond tomorrow has been
rescheduled to Saturday, November 9. We will meet at 8 am in the parking lot
at Swanton Berry Farm. Trip details are below.

Alex Rinkert

--

We will explore Swanton Pond and the vicinity looking for late fall
migrants. Ferruginous Hawk has wintered in the grassland above the pond in