EBB-Sightings
Received From Subject
7/19/24 6:56 pm rosita94598 via groups.io <rosita94598...> [EBB-Sightings] An afternoon out and it worked--continuing Ruff
7/18/24 3:48 pm Teri L Wills via groups.io <cjtlwills...> [EBB-Sightings] Male Ruff at coyote Hills
7/15/24 11:54 am Matt Tarlach via groups.io <mtar925...> [EBB-Sightings] Corteva Least Bittern
7/15/24 9:29 am rosita94598 via groups.io <rosita94598...> [EBB-Sightings] Killdeer gone from Heather Farm Park, Walnut Creek
7/10/24 3:28 pm Ethan Monk via groups.io <z.querula...> [EBB-Sightings] Bar-tailed Godwit
7/9/24 8:52 pm Bruce Mast via groups.io <cathrasher4...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Alameda--Seaplane Lagoon and Breakwater
7/8/24 11:03 am Torgil Zethson via groups.io <jetoze...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Alameda--Seaplane Lagoon and Breakwater
7/8/24 9:08 am Ethan Monk via groups.io <z.querula...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Alameda--Seaplane Lagoon and Breakwater
7/8/24 8:42 am Bruce Mast via groups.io <cathrasher4...> [EBB-Sightings] Alameda--Seaplane Lagoon and Breakwater
7/7/24 11:46 am Claude Lyneis via groups.io <cmlyneis...> [EBB-Sightings] Video on birds, squirrels and a bird feeder in Berkeley
7/4/24 2:29 pm Jerry Britten via groups.io <jeraldabritten...> [EBB-Sightings] Elegant Terns, Brooks Island
7/3/24 9:30 pm Richard Mix via groups.io <richardmix...> [EBB-Sightings] Pygmy Nuthatches in Tilden
7/2/24 9:04 am rosita94598 via groups.io <rosita94598...> [EBB-Sightings] Additional Walnut Creek observations
7/1/24 9:29 am Cathy Bleier via groups.io <csbleier...> [EBB-Sightings] White-throated Sparrow Valle Vista
6/28/24 1:13 pm rosita94598 via groups.io <rosita94598...> [EBB-Sightings] Walnut Creek bird observations
6/26/24 8:35 pm Claude Lyneis via groups.io <cmlyneis...> [EBB-Sightings] Red-shouldered Hawk in Tilden
6/25/24 1:47 pm rosita94598 via groups.io <rosita94598...> [EBB-Sightings] Least Bitterns at Corteva Wetland continue June 25

Back to top
Date: 7/19/24 6:56 pm
From: rosita94598 via groups.io <rosita94598...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] An afternoon out and it worked--continuing Ruff
It took maybe 4-1/2 hours from Walnut Creek and back this afternoon, but Rosita and I had some great views of the continuing Ruff at Coyote Hills Regional Park.  Walking out the Chochenyo Trail just east of the Visitor Center parking lot.  Other birders were already there and it was not very hard to find the striking male.  Some Common Gallinules joined behind the shorebirds, which included a single Lesser Yellowlegs in with the more than fifty Greaters.  We had a great time visiting with other birders, some of whom we knew from the past.  It has been along time since I have been out like this.
It is no secret, but this is as good a time to mention it as any.  I suffered an ischemic stroke Feb. 21.  It is easy to joke that my mental faculties prior to the stroke were not all that great, but I have recovered almost all of them, most importantly my humor.  My lack is in energy and sleep.  This is why lately I have sometimes mentioned having a baby sitter or someone to drive me.
There are lots of ebird reports to see, many with photos.  Look here:  https://ebird.org/region/US-CA-001/recent-checklists?yr=all&m
The one drawback for those who are a little shorter, is the height of the tules at the best viewing location.  But pretty much everyone out there did well and this can be seen by the quality of the photos on the recent visits website.  Thanks to everyone for all the reports.
Hugh B. HarveyWalnut Creek

Back to top
Date: 7/18/24 3:48 pm
From: Teri L Wills via groups.io <cjtlwills...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Male Ruff at coyote Hills
Found this morning by J Tanner.  We saw it about 12:30pm. It’s in the main marsh pond next to a small island roosting with yellowlegs and dowitchers.  The pond and island are out the chochenyo trail(dirt road)  from the east end of the main parking lot at the visitor center.  The trail is along the levee that divides the main marsh.  The pond is about 1/8 mile out on the right.  The island is just off the levee on the right.  The birds were roosting on the north edge.  Further along the trail after it turns right is another view of the back side of the island.

Chris and Teri Wills
Martinez

Back to top
Date: 7/15/24 11:54 am
From: Matt Tarlach via groups.io <mtar925...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Corteva Least Bittern
Drove out to Corteva this AM, my first time visiting the site. Parked at the small lot off of 10th St and, relying on advice from Hugh, Dawn, and Vicky, walked to the most-likely spot for Least Bittern and staked it out for a while. No luck.

Then as I was walking back to my car, southbound along the creek at the west edge of the property, a Green Heron came up out of the brushy creek and flew east. About 50 yards further south, a second member of the heron family did the same: a small brownish heron with a light buff-yellow belly. It flew east about 100-150 yards, and settled into an inaccessible marshy area south of the railway.
It was good to have seen the GRHE less than a minute previously---I'd heard the Least Bittern can be mistaken for a GRHE, and I can see how, but seeing them one right after the other the difference was pretty clear.

--
----
Matt Tarlach

Back to top
Date: 7/15/24 9:29 am
From: rosita94598 via groups.io <rosita94598...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Killdeer gone from Heather Farm Park, Walnut Creek
After about a month, the young Killdeer on the north ball field in the park is gone.   It stayed with an adult through softball, dogs on the field and/or soccer, plus July 4 with illegal fireworks.  My last sighting was Thursday, July 11, when it was all alone.  An adult was present with it Tuesday July 9.
Hugh B. Harvey

Back to top
Date: 7/10/24 3:28 pm
From: Ethan Monk via groups.io <z.querula...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Bar-tailed Godwit
Hi ,

Robert Raffel and John Toldi are currently on the subject bird at Dotson Marsh. This is a first county record. Congratulations Robert and John!

Ethan Monk

Back to top
Date: 7/9/24 8:52 pm
From: Bruce Mast via groups.io <cathrasher4...>
Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] Alameda--Seaplane Lagoon and Breakwater
Many thanks to those of you who confirmed my impressions about the relative
scarcity of Forster's Terns in the central bay. And thank you to those who
confirmed that the Ospreys do indeed have a couple chicks. Kayaks are great
for birding in many ways but one thing they are NOT is a stable, stationary
platform for prolonged studious views.

Bird on,

Bruce Mast
Oakland

On Mon, Jul 8, 2024 at 8:42 AM Bruce Mast <cathrasher4...> wrote:

> Hello birders,
> I took my kayak out for a spin yesterday around Seaplane Lagoon and along
> the breakwater. A few sightings may be of local interest:
>
> Brown Pelicans are back in force, My rough estimate was 1000+ loafing on
> the breakwater. I scanned the birds pretty carefully for immatures and
> didn't find that many--I'm guessing maybe 5% of birds. It's a rough
> estimate and I don't have good data to know whether it's high or low but it
> felt low to me, maybe because I was expecting it to be low. Anecdotal
> reports suggest there hasn't been much pelican food in Baja this year.
>
> Brandt's Cormorant numbers were noteworthy--I counted at least 24, mostly
> in two clusters on the dock island in Seaplane Lagoon and at the north end
> of the breakwater, plus scattered individuals in the water. I shouldn't be
> too surprised; after all, I was within sight of Alcatraz, where they nest.
>
> The Osprey nest is occupied, though I didn't see any young birds yet. I
> didn't see any Peregrines while I was out.
>
> Barn Swallows are nesting under the dock island in Seaplane Lagoon. (See
> checklist for photo of what I called "dock island").
>
> 4 species of Tern were nice. I kept wondering why I wasn't seeing more
> Forster's Terns.
>
> At least 3 Pigeon Guillemots flew by low and rapid over the bay, heading
> south. No idea where they were going. They've been documented nesting on
> Treasure Island in the past (See Aaron Maizlich at
> https://ebird.org/checklist/S89508108).
>
> Complete tally at https://ebird.org/checklist/S185922276
>
> Bird on,
>
> Bruce Mast
> Oakland

Back to top
Date: 7/8/24 11:03 am
From: Torgil Zethson via groups.io <jetoze...>
> The Osprey nest is occupied, though I didn't see any young birds yet.

I took a photo of the nest back on June 17, where I'm pretty sure I can see
two young ones poking up, if I zoom in:
https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/620720773
There was also a checklist from June 18 that lists 4 Ospreys, including 2
chicks: https://ebird.org/checklist/S182493705

All the best,
Torgil Zethson,
Alameda

On Mon, Jul 8, 2024 at 8:42 AM Bruce Mast via groups.io <cathrasher4=
<gmail.com...> wrote:

> Hello birders,
> I took my kayak out for a spin yesterday around Seaplane Lagoon and along
> the breakwater. A few sightings may be of local interest:
>
> Brown Pelicans are back in force, My rough estimate was 1000+ loafing on
> the breakwater. I scanned the birds pretty carefully for immatures and
> didn't find that many--I'm guessing maybe 5% of birds. It's a rough
> estimate and I don't have good data to know whether it's high or low but it
> felt low to me, maybe because I was expecting it to be low. Anecdotal
> reports suggest there hasn't been much pelican food in Baja this year.
>
> Brandt's Cormorant numbers were noteworthy--I counted at least 24, mostly
> in two clusters on the dock island in Seaplane Lagoon and at the north end
> of the breakwater, plus scattered individuals in the water. I shouldn't be
> too surprised; after all, I was within sight of Alcatraz, where they nest.
>
> The Osprey nest is occupied, though I didn't see any young birds yet. I
> didn't see any Peregrines while I was out.
>
> Barn Swallows are nesting under the dock island in Seaplane Lagoon. (See
> checklist for photo of what I called "dock island").
>
> 4 species of Tern were nice. I kept wondering why I wasn't seeing more
> Forster's Terns.
>
> At least 3 Pigeon Guillemots flew by low and rapid over the bay, heading
> south. No idea where they were going. They've been documented nesting on
> Treasure Island in the past (See Aaron Maizlich at
> https://ebird.org/checklist/S89508108).
>
> Complete tally at https://ebird.org/checklist/S185922276
>
> Bird on,
>
> Bruce Mast
> Oakland

Back to top
Date: 7/8/24 9:08 am
From: Ethan Monk via groups.io <z.querula...>
Bruce,

> I kept wondering why I wasn't seeing more Forster's Terns.

I don’t have any numbers to back this up, but my experience suggests that in the last few years, at least in the “Richmond-Pinole” area, that Forster’s Terns have really decreased in number during summer and early fall. I never used to struggle finding this species during this season on through September, but the past few years I have had few detections of this species during this time. But again, anecdotal experience often misses the full picture and is prone to flukey data.

In other seasons, especially winter, Forster’s Terns remain very around in this area.

Perhaps these trends are being mirrored elsewhere?

Ethan Monk

Date: 7/7/24 11:46 am
From: Claude Lyneis via groups.io <cmlyneis...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Video on birds, squirrels and a bird feeder in Berkeley
In the Berkely Hills bird feeders not only attract a great variety of birds, they also are favorite targets for Fox Squirrels. This can be a source of amusement or of irritation.

Here is a video that illustrates those issues.

Squirrel Mom Raids Bird Feeder
https://youtu.be/S-l7n629qM4?si=cLkv9BvH9v5PJHJR
Squirrel Mom Raids Bird Feeder
youtu.be

Claude Lyneis
<cmlyneis...>
https://www.youtube.com/bhsvideodad
Flickr Photos at https://flic.kr/ps/36it5P

Back to top
Date: 7/4/24 2:29 pm
From: Jerry Britten via groups.io <jeraldabritten...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Elegant Terns, Brooks Island
I estimated ~800 elegant terns this morning on Brooks Island, viewed from
the Canal Blvd. Viewing Platform. There are impressive numbers of caspian
terns as well, and too many brown pelicans to count. Quite a spectacle
overall, with lots of noise, mostly from the elegant's. It's a good place
to stay cool as well, 108 deg at my place right now. Ebird checklist here:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S185278502

Jerry Britten, Morgan Territory.

Back to top
Date: 7/3/24 9:30 pm
From: Richard Mix via groups.io <richardmix...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Pygmy Nuthatches in Tilden
Not ideal outdoor weather, but though most trails were closed for fire alerts, the Tilden farm at least was open. Around 8:00 PM Ann Callaway & I heard the inimitable noise of Pygmy Nuthatches and 6 - 8 alit on a smallish dead eucalyptus behind the Ranger Club House, disappearing into roost holes before I got much more than a naked eye on them. Since I don't ever recall seeing this species during our usual afternoon visits, I'm very curious now about their habits!

Richard Mix

Back to top
Date: 7/2/24 9:04 am
From: rosita94598 via groups.io <rosita94598...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Additional Walnut Creek observations
Early this morning I heard a Raven nearby.  A pair arrived two winters ago, but they disappeared during the 2023 spring.  This year they have stayed around in the suburban Treat Blvd area north of Heather Farm Park.  Before leaving on my bike to visit the park I noticed a bird on our hanging meal worm dish.  It was a female (?) Cowbird.  We have had the Chickadees, Titmice and Juncos use this dish, now the newcomer.
In Heather Farm the Killdeer adult and teenager continue on the north ball field.  I found my birding friend, David K., which made me very pleased.  He told me of the royal family he saw on the island, a Ceryle alcyon pair.  Whether they were King and Queen or King and princess or Queen and prince is hard to say.  There was one of each sex, if you can figure out this simple riddle.  We are not far from the concrete channel of Walnut Creek which has sufficient drainage holes and dirt bluffs for the nesting of these birds.
Hugh B. HarveyWalnut Creek

Back to top
Date: 7/1/24 9:29 am
From: Cathy Bleier via groups.io <csbleier...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] White-throated Sparrow Valle Vista
Surprisingly birdy Late morning (10 to 11:30) yesterday despite heat at Valle Vista. White-throated Sparrow foraging on ground on Rimer Creek trail near bridge. ~45 species inc lots of vocalizations and unusual IMO sightings on bare branches and snags; (trouble shooting mobile eBird which lost map, won’t allow manual revisions and wont  let me submit at present). No Wood Ducks or Mergansers in view, though. List with photos will follow - one way or another.

Cathy Bleier
El Cerrito

Back to top
Date: 6/28/24 1:13 pm
From: rosita94598 via groups.io <rosita94598...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Walnut Creek bird observations
It was June 11 when I first noticed two Killdeer adults on the north ball fields at Heather Farm Park in the Ygnacio Valley.  On June 12 there were four Killdeer adults with the one chick.  The next day and since then it has been only one adult with the now half-grown chick.  Friday the 13th came on Thursday this month.  I have no idea what happened to the dead-beat dad or mom.  But despite the occasional off-leash dog out there and plenty of soft-ball players, the single adult was there again today with the chick.  This is one very good parent.
And Amy, if you are reading this, we had a Junco figure out that the live meal-worms are in a dish hanging from our small Japanese Maple Tree in the patio.  I am not quite half-way through your book, thanks.
Hugh B. HarveyWalnut Creek

Back to top
Date: 6/26/24 8:35 pm
From: Claude Lyneis via groups.io <cmlyneis...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Red-shouldered Hawk in Tilden
This afternoon I went out to walk along Wildcat Canyon trail north of Jewel Lake without expecting to see many birds. In the parking lot for the Little Farm I heard and saw a Red-shoulder Hawk being mobbed by a couple of crows well above the tree level. Just past the Little Farm a Red-shouldered Hawk (maybe the same one) was sitting quietly on a limb quite close to the trail. It is not unusual to see them out in Tilden but it is rare for me to see one upclose. It stayed there long enough for me to get my camera out of my back pack and to take some photos. Looks like a typical adult Red-shouldered Hawk.

On Flickr at https://flic.kr/p/2pZN9AR

Date: 6/25/24 1:47 pm
From: rosita94598 via groups.io <rosita94598...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Least Bitterns at Corteva Wetland continue June 25
Steve Buffi and I walked into the Corteva, formerly Dow, Wetland this morning.  We parked at the Antioch marina at the foot of L Street and walked along a well-marked trail until we made it to the pond with the Least Bitterns.  A map with the trail marked in orange is found here:  https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?<ll...>%2C-121.82274813757405&z=16&mid=1MR9zs5ZB4IeYaCKbj0sHhiAw_rKWrGs
It is also possible to walk in from an entrance off W. 10 Street, also known as the Pittsburg-Antioch HIghway.  Parking here is more limited.
At the east side of the pond, we walked down a narrow boardwalk with floats out on the water, visible on the map.  Over time we eventually saw three Least Bitterns fly in different areas of the pond.  Some of the sightings were short, but one flight was extended and gave us exceptional views.  Near the boardwalk is a sort of bleacher seating.  While farther back from the water, it is elevated to help look over the tules.  There is a second pond south of the BNSF railroad tracks, but not visible from where we were.  Looking at the map, it appears there may be some access from the entrance off W. 10 Street.  Thanks for the help, Jerry.

Hugh B. HarveyWalnut Creek