EBB_Sightings
Received From Subject
8/21/18 12:35 pm LEE FRIEDMAN <lfried6...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...> [EBB_Sightings] FOS Townsend's Warbler at EBMUD Valle Vista
8/21/18 9:08 am <rosita94598...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...> [EBB_Sightings] Heather Farm Tuesday August 21
8/18/18 6:55 pm LEE FRIEDMAN <lfried6...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...> [EBB_Sightings] Hermit Warbler at Vollmer Peak area of Tilden
8/18/18 10:36 am Wendy Parfrey <wendybrk...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...> [EBB_Sightings] Native garden in OAK hills and bumper crop of fledglings from 15 common bird species
8/15/18 2:24 pm <rosita94598...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...> [EBB_Sightings] continuing sightings at Heather Farm in Walnut Creek
8/14/18 4:55 pm Mark Featherstone <msfeatherstone...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...> [EBB_Sightings] American White Pelicans, San Leandro Bay
8/14/18 10:06 am <tracy_farrington...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...> [EBB_Sightings] Heather Farm Park, Aug. 14, 2018
8/10/18 8:18 pm <j.chiropolos...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...> [EBB_Sightings] East Bay Migration, Early Sightings
8/9/18 5:10 pm Robert Firehock <rafirehock...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...> [EBB_Sightings] Lake Temescal Banded Green Heron
8/9/18 3:31 pm Emily Serkin <ejserkin...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...> [EBB_Sightings] Rossmoor Birders
8/8/18 11:10 pm Logan Kahle <logan...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...> [EBB_Sightings] Contra Costa county 8/6/2018
8/6/18 5:34 pm Bob Richmond <bobrichmond94544...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...> [EBB_Sightings] San Leandro Marina (8-6)
8/5/18 5:06 pm Bob Richmond <bobrichmond94544...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...> [EBB_Sightings] Rhinoceros Auklet
8/5/18 2:08 pm Megan Jankowski <mindfuldocumentation...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...> [EBB_Sightings] Middle Harbor Shoreline, Sunday, Elegant terns
8/5/18 8:24 am Jerry Britten <jeraldabritten...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...> Re: [EBB_Sightings] Red-breasted nuthatch
8/4/18 9:31 pm <jeraldabritten...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...> [EBB_Sightings] Red-breasted nuthatch
8/4/18 11:28 am pam young <pamyoung2...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...> [EBB_Sightings] Lawrence's goldfinches on upper Meadows Canyon Tilden
8/3/18 10:48 pm Alan Kaplan <lnkpln67...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...> [EBB_Sightings] GGAS First Friday Bird Walk, August 3, 2018 at Tilden Nature Area
7/31/18 7:18 pm <rosita94598...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...> [EBB_Sightings] Not a lot going on in Walnut Creek
7/28/18 10:23 pm David <davejanrose...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...> [EBB_Sightings] Re: Wildcat Canyon Saturday 7/28
7/28/18 9:22 pm 'Judi S.' <judisierra...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...> [EBB_Sightings] FW: PRNS lighthouse access closure
7/28/18 4:40 pm Alan Krakauer <ahkrakauer...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...> [EBB_Sightings] Wildcat Canyon Saturday 7/28
7/27/18 12:45 pm DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...> [EBB_Sightings] Seabirding Opportunities
7/27/18 11:38 am <JimRoethe...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...> [EBB_Sightings] Kettle of Hawks
7/23/18 10:00 am <jtnikon...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...> [EBB_Sightings] Re: Elsie Roemer (7/21) - possible Common Ringer Plover?
7/23/18 1:41 am <jtnikon...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...> [EBB_Sightings] Re: Elsie Roemer (7/21) - possible Common Ringer Plover?

Back to top
Date: 8/21/18 12:35 pm
From: LEE FRIEDMAN <lfried6...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...>
Subject: [EBB_Sightings] FOS Townsend's Warbler at EBMUD Valle Vista
I was birding yesterday morning at EBMUD's Valle Vista (permit required) and saw my first Townsend's Warbler of the season off of the Redwood Trail (the loop that starts uphill from the Staging Area and quickly turns left), about .25 mile from the Staging Area. Last report of one at Valle Vista was from 3/24.

The eBird checklist of 34 species with some photos attached including the Townsend's is here:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47978516.

Good birding,

Lee Friedman

Back to top
Date: 8/21/18 9:08 am
From: <rosita94598...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...>
Subject: [EBB_Sightings] Heather Farm Tuesday August 21
Some good birds were in the park today, including a Black-necked Stilt near the big oak tree across the pond form the wooden railing. To the left of the railing were at least 10 Northern Shovelers. A Queenfisher was flying around and making noise, a Cooper's Hawk looked like it was interested in the Stilt, but thought better of it, and a female Black-throated Gray Warbler was along the gravel trail on the east side of the large, mostly natural pond. A Pied-billed Grebe was out on the water, too, and a Green Heron was present along the edge.

Hugh B. Harvey
Walnut Creek

Back to top
Date: 8/18/18 6:55 pm
From: LEE FRIEDMAN <lfried6...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...>
Subject: [EBB_Sightings] Hermit Warbler at Vollmer Peak area of Tilden
Yesterday morning at about 10AM there was an immature female Hermit Warbler in the conifers along the Seaview Trail in the Vollmer Peak area (the relatively flat portion of the trail). A photo of it is here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/99583878@N06/43403125124/in/dateposted-public/

There were also Red-Breasted Nuthatches galore, Pygmy Nuthatches, and Pacific Slope Flycatchers among others--plenty of nice birds to enjoy finding.

Good birding,

Lee Friedman

Back to top
Date: 8/18/18 10:36 am
From: Wendy Parfrey <wendybrk...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...>
Subject: [EBB_Sightings] Native garden in OAK hills and bumper crop of fledglings from 15 common bird species
Hi all,

I just saw a juvenile Nuttall's WP at my deck feeder which was a first, so I decided to go back and count the number of fledglings I've seen this year at my house. The number is 15 species so far.

Two years ago I planted a native garden, mostly sages, ceanothus, manzanitas and other CA drought tolerant species. First came the bees, butterflies, hummers and goldfinches picking off all the seeds. Since spring this year, I've seen fledged young from all these common species: chickadee, house finch, robin, raven, scrub jay, lesser goldfinch, Bewick's wren, bushtit, towhee, red breasted nuthatch, pygmy nuthatch, song sparrow, juncos, titmouse and this morning's Nuttall's woodpecker.

Is everyone else getting bumper crops of juvenile birds this year? I would love to be able to attribute this abundance to all the native plants that are in full bloom and the mass of insects that followed the plantings. We also have oaks, pine and bay which promote nesting birds. It's just that this year was quite unusual with so many breeding birds.

A happy birder/gardener,

Wendy (Colton at Heartwood)

Back to top
Date: 8/15/18 2:24 pm
From: <rosita94598...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...>
Subject: [EBB_Sightings] continuing sightings at Heather Farm in Walnut Creek
The Black-throated Gray Warblers first found Monday by Fred Safier were found again this morning. Fred, Tracy Farrington and I saw them on the west side of the large, mostly natural pond. Tracy later found a nice group of birds there including Chestnut-backed Chickadees, White-breasted Nuthatches, Oak Titmouse, Bushtits, a Downy Woodpecker, Anna's Hummingbirds and a Bewick's Wren.

Some volunteers from Mt. Diablo Audubon Society have upgraded the exhibits in the display near the wooden railing between the parking lot and the wooden railing. Thanks to them and the city for permission to do that job.

Hugh B. Harvey
Walnut Creek

Back to top
Date: 8/14/18 4:55 pm
From: Mark Featherstone <msfeatherstone...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...>
Subject: [EBB_Sightings] American White Pelicans, San Leandro Bay
Apart from hundreds of Brown Pelicans, I saw four American White Pelicans
on San Leandro Bay this morning about 9:30 (low tide). The location is more
or less opposite the Aeolian Yacht Club - meaning the yacht club is on the
north shore of the bay, and I was standing on the south shore. The lat/long
is 37.748117 - 122.234291
<https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7469036,-122.235868,16z>. Three of them
were quite close to shore and much more amenable to being photographed
<https://flic.kr/p/MY6NDJ> than the Brown Pelicans which, though plentiful,
keep their distance.

Back to top
Date: 8/14/18 10:06 am
From: <tracy_farrington...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...>
Subject: [EBB_Sightings] Heather Farm Park, Aug. 14, 2018
This morning I arrived at Heather Farm Park, Walnut Creek, at 7:00am. Bird activity was quiet but I was pleasantly surprised by the appearance of 14 NORTHERN SHOVELERS, mostly female, on the natural pond. They remained in a fairly tight group, in the air and on water, mingling, occasionally, with a few of the local mallards. A bit later I found a single WESTERN TANAGER working the oaks on the west side of the pond. Soon thereafter, I was joined by Hugh Harvey and we got good looks at a male BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLER as it worked high in the oak at the northwestern corner of the pond. Fred Safier had both male and female of this species, yesterday, not far from the one found this morning. A while later, Hugh and I found a HUTTON'S VIREO in the willows on the east side. Looking forward to the fall.
Good birding,
Tracy Farrington
Walnut Creek

Back to top
Date: 8/10/18 8:18 pm
From: <j.chiropolos...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...>
Subject: [EBB_Sightings] East Bay Migration, Early Sightings
Its that time of year again!

Last night, when I left work, Elegant Terns suddenly appeared in Emeryville with over 300 roosting on an exposed mudflat off Powell Street! (This will likely happen evenings only when mudflats are exposed by a low tide).

Shorebird diversity is high in the east bay as I have seen 21 species in the last week - no rarities found so far. Passerine migration has been ongoing over the last week in the east bay hills with a slow trickle of 1 to 3 tanagers, warblers or vireos being seen in the yard below Vollmer peak daily the last week.

The most interesting sighting was earlier this week, when a swallow swarm was flying high over the house. One of the birds swooping and diving was noticeably bigger and as I brought the bins up, I thought "Purple Martin!" I was wrong - it was a Sharp-Shined Hawk (rounded wings) swooping and diving at swallows maybe 100 yards or so above the ground. I never thought I would see that type of behavior from an accipiter......

Enjoy fall migration!
Jim Chiropolos

Back to top
Date: 8/9/18 5:10 pm
From: Robert Firehock <rafirehock...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...>
Subject: [EBB_Sightings] Lake Temescal Banded Green Heron

Birders-

A banded green heron is back at Lake Temescal. Some may remember we had
this last year and, after guidance from a couple of you and help from a
couple photographer/birders--Doug and Kent--we were able to 'read' the
full band number with a high degree of certainty and JD Bergeron
confirmed it as one that his group, IBR, had banded/released.

If you are at Lake Temescal with a camera and see an adult Green, please
look to see if there is a silver band on its right leg. It would be
above the first leg joint. It's not always visible and sometimes I don't
see it but it's in the photos I take. If you can get a full zoom, good
resolution shot of the leg/band, you may find when you enlarge it later
you can read some numbers. If so, please share them with me off-thread,
so as not to clutter EBB further.

Last visit there was a second adult w/o a band, as well as what I took
to be a juvenile apparently molting to another plumage stage.

Thank you,
Bob Firehock

Back to top
Date: 8/9/18 3:31 pm
From: Emily Serkin <ejserkin...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...>
Subject: [EBB_Sightings] Rossmoor Birders
Dear Rossmoor Resident,
I'm going to be moving there and wonder if anyone would be willing to talk briefly with me about the birding (maybe humans) there.
Gratefully,Emily <Serkinejserkin...>

Back to top
Date: 8/8/18 11:10 pm
From: Logan Kahle <logan...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...>
Subject: [EBB_Sightings] Contra Costa county 8/6/2018
Hi All,

After an extended hiatus I finally made it back to Contra Costa county.
I spent the day with Ethan Monk and, for part, with Dominik Mosur
working from Richmond to East county. Migration was well under way but
somewhat hard to detect as conditions at shorebird spots were moderate
and passerine migrants were rather quiet after 8am.

We started at Point San Pablo, which appears to be the most lucrative
migrant trap on the bayside. We started by the Marina and the adjacent
oaks, picking through flocks and covering as much of the area as
possible. Between 6:30 and 8:00am, we found nearly 40 passerine migrants
in this part of the peninsula. Most interesting was seeing a cohort of 5
warblers (including at least 2 yellows and an orange-crown) pick up at
the tip of the point and head to Marin. This may indicate that this
place is not just an exceptional "trap" but actually a genuine spot for
a sort of Morning flight. I have noticed over about a dozen August
visits here that the site is extremely productive starting at sunrise
for about two hours, and then seriously slows down. If you wish to visit
this site, I would strongly recommend early morning for maximum success.
Later in the season, this could be one of the best places to find
vagrants in the county. For reference, the entire rest of the day we saw
less than 5 other passerine migrants.

Highlights/migrants here included:
Pelagic Cormorant-1
Spotted Sandpiper-6 together
Heermann's Gull-1
Pacific-slope Flycatcher-3 in oaks/canyons
Empidonax sp-1 that appeared extremely gray did not appear to be a
Pac-slope but seen very briefly. May have heard a "whit" note at this
time as well
Warbling Vireo-1 in oaks/canyons
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher-4 was a very good count for this peninsula, all in
the in oaks/canyons
Orange-crowned Wabler-3 in in oaks/canyons
Yellow Warbler-9 was the first major push of this relatively late
migrant I have heard of from the area. All in oaks/canyons
Black-throated Gray Warbler-2 in oaks/canyons
Wilson's Warbler-8, all but 2 in oaks/canyons
Warbler sp-3 in oaks/canyons
Western Tanager-1 in oaks/canyons
Black-headed Grosbeak-1 in oaks/canyons
Lazuli Bunting-1 flying west high overhead at point
Hooded Oriole-4 in oaks/canyons
Bullock's Oriole-3 in oaks/canyons

Full eBird checklist here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47690204

From there we proceeded to the West county WTP, meeting up with Dominik
Mosur and hoping the slack and receding high tide would still have
pushed a few birds there from Wildcat marsh. Unfortunately the only
migrant shorebird were a couple of Semipalmated Plovers. It is likely
one needs at least a 5' high tide for this spot to be truly productive.

Full eBird checklist here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47690059

From there we split to Canal Boulevard. Brooks Island was, incredibly,
devoid of all but a couple individual terns, but there was a nice
showing of Pelicans and gulls.
Long-billed Curlew-4
Whimbrel-3
Western Gull-400
California Gull-200
Gull sp-300
Brown Pelican-925

Full eBird checklist here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47691097

From there we headed to Miller/Knox hoping for migrants in the trees or
activity on the bay, we unfortunately found neither save a calling
Black-headed Grosbeak in the willows at Miller/Knox.

Full eBird checklist here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47692111

We then headed to San Pablo Reservoir. It was perhaps the most dull I
have ever seen the place, with almost no calling passerines on the way
up. Nonetheless, teh reservoir hosted:
Double-crested Cormorant-21
Caspian Tern-2 including juv

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47694609

After a brief and unproductive stop at Waterbird Regional Preserve, we
headed to Waterbird Way Pond, which was loaded with shorebirds. It seems
like a good place over the next month to check for Stilt Sandpiper or
Ruff. Highlights and shorebirds here included:
Black-necked Stilt-118
Killdeer-6
Least Sandpiper-9
Long-billed Dowitcher-585
Greater Yellowlegs-6
Lesser Yellowlegs-3
Hooded Oriole-1 appeared to be a migrant

We then headed to the Deer Ridge Golf Course area to test our luck with
Roadrunner, but came up dry. According to homeowners it is still alive
and well but sporadic as always.

We then headed to the Byron WTP which hosted a number of shorebird
migrants. Highlights here included:
Black-necked Stilt-3
Semipalmated Plover-1
Killdeer-20
Least Sandpiper-10
Red-necked Phalarope-1
Greater Yellowlegs-1

Full eBird checklist here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47696609

Heading to Clifton Court, we found the reservoir mostly vacant, but
still with a few interesting birds:
Pied-billed Grebe-22 was not an exceptional count, as this species
migrates at this season
WHIMBREL-1 was a very rare bird for east county in Fall
California Gull-780
Say's Phoebe-1

Full eBird checklist here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47697176

We headed north to Discovery Bay and were not disappointed. Around the
golf course we found:
Green Heron-3
White-tailed Kite-1
BALD EAGLE-1 was a very good bird for East county, and my first
Black-chinned Hummingbird-1
VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOW-4 were quite unexpected as this species is
relatively rare in East county. It is nearly unrecorded in the Bethel
Bradford area, but in the Southeast part of the county they appear to be
more regular, at least at this season
Western Bluebird-2 were part of the isolated population at this location
Full eBird checklists here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47698079
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47698353

From there we headed north to the Holland Tract with a primary focus on
the Central Tract marshes. While water levels seemed great, few
shorebirds were present, but still we found:
Blue-winged Teal-1 was a rare bird for East county
Cinnamon Teal-2
Mallard-530
Green Heron-2
Common Gallinule-4
Least Sandpiper-9
Greater Yellowlegs-3
Eurasian Collared-Dove-75
Mourning Dove-26
Bank Swallow-2 is a now expected species in the region
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher-1 was a migrant
YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRD-4 fed into the pattern of late summer occurrence
of this species at this site. I previously suspected breeding, but after
a May visit turned up none I believe these could alternatively be
post-breeding dispersants from elsewhere in the valley
Tricolored Blackbird-1 follows the same pattern as Yellow-headed

Full eBird checklist here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47700398

From there we hit Piper Slough hoping for Dusk Flight and Ibis.
Unfortunately no ibis and the only things moving were larids, but we
still found:
Pied-billed Grebe-53 were migrants
Caspian Tern-32
California Gull-35
American Coot-350 were likely the first "fall" migrants here

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47701113

We ended the day with 109 species, about average or perhaps a bit below
for this time of Year. Was a nice way to finish my Summer stay in
California.

Good birding,

Logan

To contact the list Administrator go to: <EBB_Sightings-owner...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
<EBB_Sightings-digest...>
<EBB_Sightings-fullfeatured...>

<EBB_Sightings-unsubscribe...>

Back to top
Date: 8/6/18 5:34 pm
From: Bob Richmond <bobrichmond94544...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...>
Subject: [EBB_Sightings] San Leandro Marina (8-6)
Seen this afternoon
2 Wandering Tattlers on the small rocky island.
1 Brown Booby was offshore of the small islands. When first seen it was well offshore and in flight. It flew to the north and out of sight. It then returned and perched on one of the channel markers out in the bay.
BobAlameda

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Back to top
Date: 8/5/18 5:06 pm
From: Bob Richmond <bobrichmond94544...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...>
Subject: [EBB_Sightings] Rhinoceros Auklet
At the Hayward Shoreline. Take the trail from the Interpretive Center to the bay. Look towards the San Mateo Bridge and it was 2/3 of the way in line with the second light pole on the bridge (over water). The tide was incoming with only a small amount of mudflat showing. The time was close to 3pm.
Rhinoceros Auklet has been seen here in late July and early August from 2008 to 2012. From 1 to 3 were seen.

Date: 8/5/18 2:08 pm
From: Megan Jankowski <mindfuldocumentation...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...>
Subject: [EBB_Sightings] Middle Harbor Shoreline, Sunday, Elegant terns
We had a good Golden Gate Audubon field trip at Middle Harbor Shoreline
this morning. We had a four-tern day: about 80 Caspian Terns including
juveniles, 40 Elegant Terns, 5 Forster's terns and about 10 Least Terns.
Members of the group spotted two banded Caspian Terns, which has been
submitted the the BBL.

We had some discussion about whether a plover was a Pacific Golden. It
seemed to have more extensive black up its front and a browner back. I have
photos on the Ebird checklist that are not very good, but any thoughts are
welcome.

Other expected shorebirds are rolling in: Marbled Godwit, Willet, Least
Sandpiper, Western Sandpiper, Sanderling. Maureen Lahiff and I had two
American Avocet there yesterday but they were not there today.

We had an Osprey fly over and a great look at a Peregrine. No ducks were
present except one American Wigeon.

Ebird checklist here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47669731

Megan Jankowski
Oakland

Back to top
Date: 8/5/18 8:24 am
From: Jerry Britten <jeraldabritten...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [EBB_Sightings] Red-breasted nuthatch
Someone pointed out a problem with the link I originally posted, so here's
another that hopefully will work.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/149784284@N03/shares/Fz88m9

>Jerry
>
> never had a red-breasted nuthatch at
>my yard - until today. Not a single pine tree on our
> property, so this one was just passing through and looking
>for a drink from our birdbath. While I was getting a
>photo, a warbling vireo stopped by. Photos of both at this
> link:
>https://www.flickr.com/photos/149784284@N03/shares/P003TS

> Jerry Britten,Morgan Territory.

Back to top
Date: 8/4/18 9:31 pm
From: <jeraldabritten...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...>
Subject: [EBB_Sightings] Red-breasted nuthatch
never had a red-breasted nuthatch at my yard - until today. Not a single pine tree on our property, so this one was just passing through and looking for a drink from our birdbath. While I was getting a photo, a warbling vireo stopped by. Photos of both at this link:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/149784284@N03/shares/P003TS https://www.flickr.com/photos/149784284@N03/shares/P003TS

Jerry Britten,
Morgan Territory.

Back to top
Date: 8/4/18 11:28 am
From: pam young <pamyoung2...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...>
Subject: [EBB_Sightings] Lawrence's goldfinches on upper Meadows Canyon Tilden
At least one pair of Lawrence’s goldfinches were on the upper Meadows Canyon trail in Tilden Park feeding on thistle on Aug 3 at about 6:30PM.

Good birding!

Pam Young
Berkeley

Date: 8/3/18 10:48 pm
From: Alan Kaplan <lnkpln67...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...>
Subject: [EBB_Sightings] GGAS First Friday Bird Walk, August 3, 2018 at Tilden Nature Area

GGAS First Friday Bird Walk, August 3, 2018 at Tilden Nature Area, to Jewel Lake by way of the Jewel Lake Trail and back by the boardwalk. "Prize" for coming the furthest to Margaret from Bakersfield; her biennial trip to get away from the heat! Lots of teenagers today, also, from East Bay and from North Bay. Thanks to all for attendance and energy!
Here are the 31 species seen by 37 observers:

Mallard 5
Wild Turkey 7
Turkey Vulture 1 makes it official!
Cooper's Hawk 1
Red-shouldered Hawk 2
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Band-tailed Pigeon 2
Mourning Dove 1
Anna's Hummingbird 1
Belted Kingfisher 1
Acorn Woodpecker 1
Nuttall's Woodpecker 1
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Western Wood-Pewee 1
Black Phoebe 1
Warbling Vireo 1
Steller's Jay 2
Common Raven 1
Chestnut-backed Chickadee 5
Bushtit 12
Red-breasted Nuthatch 2
Wrentit 2
Western Bluebird 1
Swainson's Thrush 1
Dark-eyed Junco 23
Song Sparrow 3
California Towhee 5
Spotted Towhee 2
Black-headed Grosbeak 3
House Finch 1
Lesser Goldfinch 1

Hope to see you at the August 16th GGAS meeting with Nathan Pieplow talking about Bird Songs. Meeting is in Berkeley, Northbrae Community Church: 6:30 for refreshments and 7:00 for the talk.

Best of Boids!
Alan Kaplan

Date: 7/31/18 7:18 pm
From: <rosita94598...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...>
Subject: [EBB_Sightings] Not a lot going on in Walnut Creek
Things have been slow in Heather Farm Park in the Ygnacio Valley of Walnut Creek. One and sometimes two Pied-billed Grebes have been on the big pond, up to 50 Mallards are hanging out in various stages of eclipse plumage. We usually see a Green Heron and often a Black-crowned Night-Heron or two, sometimes a Great blue Heron or Great Egret.

The City had some more skimming done on both the concrete pond and the large, mostly natural pond. During the hot summer months, lots of algae grows, sometimes almost covering the surface. The contractor uses a paddle-wheel machine with a chain conveyor to collect all the vegetation.

The biggest unreported sighting was Noah Strycker visiting the Camera West store in downtown Walnut Creek last Friday. Not being advertised very well, only 14 folks visited to hear what I have been told was an excellent presentation about his 2015 World Big Year. It is too bad that local birders had no idea he was in the neighborhood. He was at the Leica store in San Francisco Saturday.

Hugh B. Harvey
Walnut Creek

Back to top

Date: 7/28/18 9:22 pm
From: 'Judi S.' <judisierra...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...>
Subject: [EBB_Sightings] FW: PRNS lighthouse access closure

Probably of interest to birders not on the NBB or SF bird lists

Point Reyes Lighthouse (and Trees) No Access Starting Aug 6
Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:01 pm (PDT) . Posted by:
"Carlo Arreglo" auntiestrophe
Good evening birding community!
I would much rather report sightings but, sadly, I am reporting that the start of the much-needed repairs and restoration to the Point Reyes Lighthouse begins on Saturday Aug 6 and is scheduled to run until "on or about Oct 6."
Unfortunately, there will be no public access beyond the LH parking lot so that means no access to the trees along the road between the parking lot and the lighthouse visitor center.
This is an obvious disappointment for us birders, especially during fall migration. However, it is exciting that a project about 10 years in the making is finally getting underway and that the 1870 lighthouse will undergo restoration. The other "hot spots" in the Outer Point are not subject to the same closures.
Update: Restoration work begins on Monday, August 6, 2018. - Point Reyes National Seashore (U.S. National Park Service)

Date: 7/28/18 4:40 pm
From: Alan Krakauer <ahkrakauer...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...>
Subject: [EBB_Sightings] Wildcat Canyon Saturday 7/28
This was my first time in Wildcat Canyon for several weeks, and unfortunately I could only swing a mid-day hike (although the weather was very pleasant). It was quiet as one would expect– only 31 species. The grass is already down and I didn’t detect anything on the grassy slopes (no grasshopper sparrows, red-winged blackbirds, lazuli buntings, song sparrows). No early fall migrants either. The highlights were:
— A boatload of red-tailed hawks, mostly juvies, working the ridges and hillsides. I saw 14 at once when the Wildcat Creek Trail first opened up and you could see the ridge. Very cool to watch this from up on the ridge as well. When the hawks weren’t right over head or right below, they were out against the backdrop of SF and the Bay.
– A couple of very young fledgling Blue-grey Gnatcatchers in some willows near the parking lot. Short tails, fat lips. At least one adult was attending them. I’ve seen gnatchatchers in a few spots in the park but in times where they could have been migrating through. Assuming this counts as evidence of breeding, this would be an expansion of breeding range according to the CoCo Breeding Bird Atlas. They were on the up-hill side no more than 100 yards along the Wildcat Creek Trail from the top of the Alvarado staging area (the long skinny parking lot off of Park Ave).

Good birding,
Alan Krakauer
www.alankrakauerphotography.com <http://www.alankrakauerphotography.com/>
www.alankrakauer.org <http://www.alankrakauer.org/>

Back to top
Date: 7/27/18 12:45 pm
From: DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...>
Subject: [EBB_Sightings] Seabirding Opportunities
Hello, Birders,

We are well into the sizzling days of summer and it’s a good time to think about lining up your pelagic trips.

The year 2018 marks 43 years of offering pelagic trips by Shearwater Journeys! It has been an amazing journey, to be sure. Beginning August and running until October 21, we have a full line up of seabird and offshore trips ahead. Trips depart from Monterey Bay, Half Moon Bay, and Sausalito to the Farallon Islands. Presently, all trips on our program have spaces available except the August 11, Half Moon Bay trip which is sold out. A few trips are nearly sold out.

FARALLON ISLANDS: AUGUST 5 & 12
Spaces are available on both of these trips, although only 4 spaces are open on the August 12 trip.
DEPARTURE: 7:30 am from Clipper Yacht Harbor, Sausalito. Return about 4 pm.
From Sausalito, we’ll sail under the iconic Golden Gate Bridge on a spotlessly clean, stable catamaran with excellent deck space to see the largest breeding seabird colony south of Alaska. Absolutely teeming with seabirds, the past few years we’ve also encountered NORTHERN GANNET, BROWN and BLUE-FOOTED BOOBIES. We have a 100% success rate finding many amazing TUFTED PUFFINS, up close and personal. We’ll head out to the edge of the Continental Shelf to look for albatross and other seabirds, and whales. Great photo ops of not only the seabirds, but also the Golden Gate Bridge— from below.
One trip report can be found here:
http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2014/08/farallon-islands-august-3-2014-trip.html <http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2014/08/farallon-islands-august-3-2014-trip.html>
http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2013/08/trip-report-august-4-2013-farallon.html <http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2013/08/trip-report-august-4-2013-farallon.html>

MONTEREY BAY: AUG. 3, 24, 31; SEP. 7, 8, 14, 16, 28, 29, 30; OCT. 6, 13, 21..
For four decades we have offered seabird trips at Monterey Bay, recording some of the most amazing records not only for California, but also first records for North America. August is a great time to get out for the early fall migrants, especially Arctic Tern and Sabine’s Gull. It is also one of the best months for HAWAIIAN PETREL which we found on our August 25, 2017 Monterey trip. I have seen at least 10 Hawaiian Petrels during August.
DEPARTURE: 7:00 am from Chris’ Fishing Shop, Fisherman’s Wharf, Monterey. Return about 3 pm.
There is almost no finer place than Monterey Bay to see the best variety of seabirds and marine mammals during the fall season.

**PLEASE NOTE: AUGUST 3 we shall be searching for COOK’S PETRELS as 100+ were found on the recent Ventura pelagic trip. When this happened in 2009, we had a great time with Cook’s Petrels also showing up on our Monterey trips. It was a record year.
Trip reports of 2009 and the Cook’s Petrel “invasion.”
http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2009/08/monterey-bay-cooks-july-31-2009-story.html <http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2009/08/monterey-bay-cooks-july-31-2009-story.html>
http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2009/08/still-cookin-chase-on.html <http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2009/08/still-cookin-chase-on.html>
http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2009/08/monterey-bay-nearshore-cooks-petrels.html <http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2009/08/monterey-bay-nearshore-cooks-petrels.html>

MONTEREY BAY: OFFSHORE ALBACORE: SEP. 9 & 15.
We invented the albacore trip nearly thirty years ago. Always a sell out, this is the single hottest selling trip on our program— and with good reason. We have scored a number of “first records” including JOUANIN’S PETREL, STREAKED SHEARWATER, RED-TAILED and RED-BILLED TROPICBIRDS. This is the best trip to search for GUADALUPE and CRAVERI’S MURRELETS, all three jaeger species, SOUTH POLAR SKUA, and blue whales. Please note: There was a misprint on my postcard mailer for the SEPTEMBER 9 DATE— it is an albacore trip, not a bay trip. Spaces are available on September 9, but only 2spaces are available for September 15.

More about the Albacore trips:
http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2015/07/about-albacore-offshore-monterey-trip.html <http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2015/07/about-albacore-offshore-monterey-trip.html>

HALF MOON BAY: AUG. 11 (SOLD OUT); SEP. 22, 23; OCT. 13.
We have a long history of being the first to offer pelagic trips departing from HMB. Expect the regular fall migrants with a chance to see Marbled Murrelet and possibly, the Northern Gannet. Rarities we have seen include: SALVIN’S ALBATROSS, WHITE-CHINNED PETREL, and several times, HAWAIIAN PETREL.

COUNTY BIRDING: Usually, we cover at least two counties on each trip. So, for county birders, that’s a good thing. Some of our Monterey trips have a special focus in Santa Cruz County— a very difficult county for ticking seabirds.

RESERVATIONS: To make a reservation on a trip that is close to sold out (which includes: Aug. 12; Sep. 7, 15), please email Debi: <debi...> <mailto:<debi...>.

CHUMMING: Shearwater Journeys has been collecting data on seabirds in the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary for over 40 years. This unique data set provides information on potentially substantial changes in seabird populations over time, in this area. To ensure continued collection of data on seabirds in the sanctuary using consistent methodology, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has reissued a research permit to use fish and squid-based seabird attractants (chum) within the sanctuary boundaries. This year, the permit was expanded to include our departures from Half Moon Bay. The Sanctuary recognizes the potential research importance of data collected by researchers on birder-based pelagic trips. We shall be chumming on all Monterey Bay and Half Moon Bay trips this season and in 2019.. You, as a participant, will be actively engaged in collection of data. Thank you, in advance.

Seabirding for Science,
Debi Shearwater

DEBRA SHEARWATER
Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
PO Box 190
Hollister, CA 95024
831.637.8527
<debi...>
www.shearwaterjourneys.com
www.shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com

Celebrating 43 Years of Seabirding with Shearwater Journeys
Siberia’s Forgotten Coast & Spoon-billed Sandpiper- 25 June - 9 July 2019
Galapagos Islands: 30 October - 12 November 2019

Back to top
Date: 7/27/18 11:38 am
From: <JimRoethe...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...>
Subject: [EBB_Sightings] Kettle of Hawks
While hiking through the Wilder Development in Orinda this morning I observed at least 17 Red-tailed Hawkssoaring and cavorting in the breeze over the hill at the far end of the development -- nearest Moraga.    I've never seen that many Red-tails together and not on migration.   Many juveniles were in the group.

Regards,

Jim

Jim Roethe
925-254-2190
jimroethe@aol,.com

Back to top
Date: 7/23/18 10:00 am
From: <jtnikon...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...>
Subject: [EBB_Sightings] Re: Elsie Roemer (7/21) - possible Common Ringer Plover?
Case closed.

It's a female Semipalmated Plover in breeding plumage. The black from lore to above the bill is NOT prominent enough to be a Common Ringed.

Many thanks to David Yeamans and John Sterling for pointing out this key field mark to me and sorry about the false alarm.

Happy Birding,

Jerry Ting
Fremont

Back to top
Date: 7/23/18 1:41 am
From: <jtnikon...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...>
This (7/22 Sunday) morning I re-found the potential adult female CRPL almost the same spot (40 yards east of the observation deck near the dock object on the shore. 37.752875, -122.247642) around 9:30am. I observed the bird from 2 different angles (north and east) and both spots are about 25-30 yards away from the bird so I can gain only distant shots.

The bird is isolated and not bonding with other Semipalmated Plovers at all and spent most of the time preening. I got better view of the bird today and can see the bill is longer, slander and with more orange on the base. The white supercilium is very clear unlike a couple of adult female Semipalmated seen around the deck with weak pale supercilium. The yellowish eyering is incomplete and mostly on the lower part of the eye. The black band on the chest is not as wide as the normal male CRPL but I have seen some images (e.g. from Macaulay Library and Archive.org) of breeding plumage CRPL with narrow chest band. No vocals from the bird again.

I have attached 2 images on my eBird report: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47355069 https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47355069

The plate contains images of CRPL and SEPL (A, D and G is the potential CRPL from today, H is a CRPL image from Archive for comparison, and the rest are SEPL seen in the area today).

Happy Birding,

Jerry Ting
Fremont

Join us on Facebook!