EBB-Sightings
Received From Subject
4/23/24 4:55 pm Dominik Mosur via groups.io <dominikmosur...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Cassin’s, again.
4/23/24 4:45 pm Erica via groups.io <ihearwaxwings...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Cassin’s, again.
4/23/24 4:40 pm Dominik Mosur via groups.io <dominikmosur...> [EBB-Sightings] Mines road- tailless yes , black vulture no
4/23/24 7:06 am Ethan Monk via groups.io <z.querula...> [EBB-Sightings] Cassin’s, again.
4/23/24 2:11 am Logan Kahle via groups.io <logan...> [EBB-Sightings] Alameda County Big Day 4/21, 200 species (!!!) (long) Calliope Hummingbird, Dusky Flycatchers, Gray Flycatchers, continuing Costa's Hummingbird, etc
4/22/24 7:13 pm Richard Mix via groups.io <richardmix...> [EBB-Sightings] Pileated at Berkeley's Tilden
4/22/24 5:46 pm richard s. cimino via groups.io <rscimino...> [EBB-Sightings] Black Vulture Mines Rd report
4/22/24 5:36 pm JENNIFER FURY via groups.io <jennyfuzzy...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Eastern Alameda Co, Solitary Sandpiper
4/22/24 4:28 pm Aaron Maizlish via groups.io <amm.birdlists...> [EBB-Sightings] Eastern Alameda Co, Solitary Sandpiper
4/21/24 8:05 pm JENNIFER FURY via groups.io <jennyfuzzy...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Black Vulture, Mines Road (and reflections on birding Mines this year)
4/21/24 6:59 pm Jim Chiropolos via groups.io <jnc...> [EBB-Sightings] Black Vulture
4/21/24 6:55 pm Jim Chiropolos via groups.io <jnc...> [EBB-Sightings] Black Vulture, Mines Road (and reflections on birding Mines this year)
4/20/24 5:09 pm Zac Denning via groups.io <zdenning1...> [EBB-Sightings] Ash-throated Flycatcher at Creekside Park
4/20/24 9:11 am don_quixote72 via groups.io <dmsmith72...> [EBB-Sightings] Leucistic Eagle Continues Valle Vista
4/20/24 6:50 am Dominik Mosur via groups.io <dominikmosur...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Vollmer migration notes and reflections on Calliope hummingbirds
4/19/24 6:42 pm Jim Chiropolos via groups.io <jnc...> [EBB-Sightings] Vollmer migration notes and reflections on Calliope hummingbirds
4/19/24 4:36 pm Jim Chiropolos via groups.io <jnc...> [EBB-Sightings] Mitchel Canyon Today - Lewis Woodpeckers and reflections on birding canyon
4/19/24 2:41 pm Zac Denning via groups.io <zdenning1...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Inspiration Point - High MacG Warbler count & more
4/19/24 1:21 pm Zac Denning via groups.io <zdenning1...> [EBB-Sightings] Inspiration Point - High MacG Warbler count & more
4/19/24 12:28 pm Ethan Monk via groups.io <z.querula...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Mt. Diablo
4/18/24 6:56 pm judisierra via groups.io <judisierra...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] GGBA t-shirts?
4/18/24 5:44 pm Aaron Maizlish via groups.io <amm.birdlists...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] GGBA t-shirts?
4/18/24 4:59 pm mrkinch via groups.io <mrkinch...> [EBB-Sightings] GGBA t-shirts?
4/16/24 8:58 pm Aaron Maizlish via groups.io <amm.birdlists...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Calliope Hummingbirds
4/16/24 8:01 pm Chris Ortega via groups.io <chrisorte9a...> [EBB-Sightings] Calliope Hummingbirds
4/16/24 3:59 pm JENNIFER FURY via groups.io <jennyfuzzy...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Albany Bulb eagle is Bald
4/16/24 2:15 pm Sam Zuckerman via groups.io <samzuckerman...> [EBB-Sightings] Albany Bulb eagle is Bald
4/16/24 2:09 pm Sam Zuckerman via groups.io <samzuckerman...> [EBB-Sightings] Albany Bulb eagle: Golden or Bald?
4/16/24 2:05 pm Chris Ortega via groups.io <chrisorte9a...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Golden Eagle at Albany Bulb
4/16/24 1:53 pm Sam Zuckerman via groups.io <samzuckerman...> [EBB-Sightings] Golden Eagle at Albany Bulb
4/15/24 10:39 am Ethan Monk via groups.io <z.querula...> [EBB-Sightings] Mt. Diablo
4/14/24 9:57 pm Ethan Monk via groups.io <z.querula...> [EBB-Sightings] Clifton Sabines
4/13/24 3:26 pm Janet Johnson <electricista545...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Camera Roll | Flickr
4/13/24 3:04 pm Jim Roethe via groups.io <JimRoethe...> [EBB-Sightings] Camera Roll | Flickr
4/13/24 3:04 pm Susana dT <trapaga...> [EBB-Sightings] Point Pinole Regional Shoreline April 12th sightings
4/12/24 3:48 pm Rosemary Johnson <compasros...> [EBB-Sightings] Osprey nest at Pt Pinole
4/12/24 1:09 pm Johan Langewis <jlangewis...> [EBB-Sightings] Leucistic Bald Eagle
4/11/24 12:52 pm Michael Park <dpbot...> [EBB-Sightings] Recent Berkeley Hills odd sightings
4/10/24 6:50 pm rosita94598 via groups.io <rosita94598...> [EBB-Sightings] two short Anna's Hummingbird stories
4/7/24 8:32 pm rosita94598 via groups.io <rosita94598...> [EBB-Sightings] Huckleberry Preserve trail above PInehurst
4/7/24 6:17 pm Sheila Dickie <peregrine5243...> [EBB-Sightings] Greater White Fronted Geese Richmond
4/6/24 9:32 am Ethan Monk <z.querula...> [EBB-Sightings] Red-naped Sapsucker
4/5/24 8:59 pm Ethan Monk <z.querula...> [EBB-Sightings] early spring misc.
4/5/24 1:39 pm <ilink21bl...> [EBB-Sightings] Rufous-crowned Sparrow
4/3/24 12:16 pm Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Clifton Court Forebay
4/2/24 11:57 am Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur...> [EBB-Sightings] Las Trampas Regional Wilderness 4/1/24
3/29/24 12:13 pm Matt Tarlach <mtar925...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] ID help with a warbler at McNabney Marsh this AM?
3/29/24 11:29 am Chris Ortega <chrisorte9a...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] ID help with a warbler at McNabney Marsh this AM?
3/29/24 11:23 am Aaron Maizlish <amm.birdlists...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] ID help with a warbler at McNabney Marsh this AM?
3/29/24 11:20 am Matt Tarlach <mtar925...> [EBB-Sightings] ID help with a warbler at McNabney Marsh this AM?
3/28/24 9:05 pm Jerry Britten <jeraldabritten...> [EBB-Sightings] Black-Headed Gull continues at Clifton Court Forebay
3/28/24 4:26 pm Jim Chiropolos via groups.io <jnc...> [EBB-Sightings] Clifton Court Forebay
3/28/24 8:57 am Ethan Monk <z.querula...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Black-headed Gull
3/28/24 8:29 am Erica <ihearwaxwings...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Black-headed Gull
3/27/24 10:48 pm John Luther <aplomado-falcon...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Black-headed Gull
3/26/24 7:51 pm Ethan Monk <z.querula...> [EBB-Sightings] Black-headed Gull
3/26/24 5:22 pm Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur...> [EBB-Sightings] Las Trampas Regional Wilderness/San Ramon - spring arrivals and breeding birds 3/25/24
3/26/24 1:28 pm Mark Rauzon via groups.io <mjrauz...> [EBB-Sightings] Cassin's Sparrow bathing with White-throated Sparrow, photo study
3/24/24 4:02 pm Alexander Henry <awhenry...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] eBird hotspot question
3/24/24 3:55 pm Zac Denning <zdenning1...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] eBird hotspot question
3/24/24 3:19 pm Zac Denning <zdenning1...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] eBird hotspot question
3/24/24 3:12 pm Alexander Henry <awhenry...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] eBird hotspot question
3/24/24 2:38 pm Chris Ortega <chrisorte9a...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] eBird hotspot question
3/24/24 12:21 pm Zac Denning <zdenning1...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] eBird hotspot question
3/24/24 9:25 am Catherine Fox <cevansfox...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] eBird hotspot question
3/24/24 8:31 am Nat Smale <smale...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] eBird hotspot question
3/24/24 8:19 am Ethan Monk <z.querula...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] eBird hotspot question
3/24/24 8:17 am Ethan Monk <z.querula...> [EBB-Sightings] eBird hotspot question

Back to top
Date: 4/23/24 4:55 pm
From: Dominik Mosur via groups.io <dominikmosur...>
Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] Cassin’s, again.
Hi Erica/EBB ,

Ethan is unavailable at the moment. I think he’s taking a long and
necessary rest after reading Logan’s maniacal account of the big day ,but
he gave me his blessing to respond to your question.

While possibilities of extralimital breeding always exist to some level The
best bet is that these finches are overwintering and haven’t departed yet.

There is no documentation of Cassens Finch nesting in the Diablo range or
any of the coastal foothills of central California. Their closest breeding
stronghold is in the Sierra Nevada.

I think the closest they come to nesting near the coast in Northern
California is maybe the highest reaches of Lake/Mendocino county. But I
could be off by a mountain range or two.

Happy spring birding,

Dominik Mosur
San Francisco

On Tue, Apr 23, 2024 at 16:45 Erica via groups.io <ihearwaxwings=
<gmail.com...> wrote:

> Thank you for sharing these observations Ethan. Do you suspect that they
> may be breeding locally? Also a question about access. The park technically
> opens at 8:00 am. Are you able to enter earlier than the posted time? If
> so, is it fairly reliable to be able to do so?
>
> Many thanks and congratulations. I hope we'll see your photo at some
> point.
>
> Best, Erica

Back to top

Date: 4/23/24 4:40 pm
From: Dominik Mosur via groups.io <dominikmosur...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Mines road- tailless yes , black vulture no

Back to top
Date: 4/23/24 7:06 am
From: Ethan Monk via groups.io <z.querula...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Cassin’s, again.
About 640AM on Monday morning, I finally saw and photographed a female Cassins Finch on Mt. Diablo in foothill pines along summit road between Grapevine Picnic Area and Juniper Campground (this is the dense ravine filled with foothill pine and what might be canyon live oak or something just a quarter mile or so before juniper if you are driving up towards the summit). I actually suspect there might be two Cassins involved…

Sunday evening there were four Greater Scaup and a Sanderling at Clifton Court Forebay. 102 Whimbrel and ~190 ibis flew over.

Sorry for the tardy report.

Ethan M

Ethan

Back to top
Date: 4/23/24 2:11 am
From: Logan Kahle via groups.io <logan...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Alameda County Big Day 4/21, 200 species (!!!) (long) Calliope Hummingbird, Dusky Flycatchers, Gray Flycatchers, continuing Costa's Hummingbird, etc
Hi all,

As those who have done a healthy number of big days learn, some days
things just line up. There are days where everything seems to go like
clockwork, and every spot produces more than you anticipate. Yesterday
was one of those days.

At midnight of 4/21, Alex Henry, Dessi Sieburth, Lucas Stephenson and I
undertook an all-out Alameda Big Day, starting at midnight and ending
shortly after 8pm. We drove 210 miles. With Alex's incredible
understanding of the ins and outs of Alameda, Dessi's ever-present eyes,
Lucas's enthusiasm, and my ability to drive past the intended pullouts
on Mines road, we were setup well from the start. Over the course of the
day, we saw an amazing 200 species, breaking the previous record of 173
set by myself and Alex on Friday 4/19, which in turn broke the record
set on 4/22/2011 of 172 species by Zach Baer, Dominik Mosur and Michael
Park.

We started off the day at 11:25pm, dropping a car in Piedmont before
continuing down redwood road for Owling. Sometimes the owls can take a
while here, so we started listening at 11:45. At a little after 11:50, a
Saw-whet started calling away, but promptly shut up before the day. We
waited, and held our breath, unsure if it would start up again. Then, at
12:01, the NORTHERN SAW-WHET OWL started hooting away, our first bird of
the day. Ideal. While we were leaving, Dessi heard a WESTERN FLYCATCHER.

We blasted off to the bayshore to look for shorebirds. A couple days
prior, I scouted out to see if I could find any true high tide roosts at
night and, well, I couldnt! But I did have some scattered. So, we headed
to Garretson Point at a place Alex knew that shorebirds roost along the
bayshore. It was largely quiet, but we added the first few bay birds of
the day: a calling DUNLIN, SEMIPALMATED PLOVER, and, importantly, a
SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER. While we would hear several at night, we never
did hear one in the daytime. As we were leaving a GREAT HORNED OWL,
astoundingly one of only two all day (!) was perched on a lightpost.

Heading on to Arrowhead Marsh, we added a diversity of waterbirds,
including WESTERN GREBE, BLACK-NECKED STILT, AMERICAN AVOCET, MARBLED
GODWIT, a night-flying BARN SWALLOW (presumably kicked up from a nest?)
and the main target, a cacophony of RIDGWAY'S RAILS. As we were leaving,
a lone BARN OWL winged its way overhead. Driving briefly to Elsie Rohmer
we added few birds, but among them BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER and LEAST and
WESTERN SANDPIPER.

We then went to the cornerstone spot of the night, where we were hoping
to find most of our nocturnal highlights: Coyote Hills. Arriving to the
region around 1:35, a parking fumble cost us about 20 minutes.
Regardless, we arrived at our desired location in the marsh a while
later, and eventually heard the "kikidoo" of one of the BLACK RAILS Alex
and I had staked out in scouting. Continuing down the trail we stopped
briefly at a specific slough and happily added a calling COMMON
GALLINULE. Farther down the trail, several VIRGINIA RAILS and a single
SORA, different from the one we'd staked out, sounded off. The sound of
pumping AMERICAN BITTERNS echoed all around us. As we were walking
around the trail, an odd night-singing RING-NECKED PHEASANT bellowed its
bizarre croak. We heard more when we returned in the evening, but it was
great to get out of the way early. We then had to make a decision. We
could either try for snipe, in the dark, now, or wait for later. We knew
we'd probably see them but also wanted some real time to try for our
unscouted Grasshopper Sparrows after. After about 5 minutes of restless
deliberation we ran out into the field that had had almost 10 snipe on
Friday and, sure enough, a WILSON'S SNIPE kicked up.

Continuing on to Garin Regional Park, we were ready to try for an
unscouted Grasshopper, partially encouraged by team DMZ's strategy back
in 2011. Alex claimed it was "just a bit up the hill" and "it would
probably take about 10 minutes". I'd scouted enough with him to be leery
of such statements, but nonetheless we started running up the hills
here. After what seemed like an eternity we crossed a gate and were
apparently near the spot. Well, it was only 9 minutes after all. We got
to the area and started listening. Silence. I had to peel off for a
second and walked a little ways away from the group. As I waited, a
GRASSHOPPER SPARROW started sounding off. I ran over to get the group,
and as luck would have it it stayed singing for a while longer. We were off.

During scouting Alex had brought up a very reliable Pygmy-Owl spot in
Sunol. We tried during scouting and did find Pygmy-Owls, so we decided
to give it a shot before going to Mines. Also in scouting, we'd found
poorwill on the road in. So, we pulled off on Calaveras road, and in the
distant sage-covered slopes we heard a lone COMMON POORWILL. At Welch
Creek road, we quickly added a single WESTERN SCREECH-OWL. We rolled up
to the Pygmy-Owl spot and listened. Nothing. We played a few toots.
Nothing. Just the rushing of the river. We moved to a slightly quieter
vantage. After a bit of waiting, the chiming of a NORTHERN PYGMY-OWL
echoed through the hills. Perfect. We were off.

We arrived at Mines road somewhat earlier than we needed to, around
5:25. While we drove up, I stopped along the road in residential
livermore and heard our first dawn singer: a single DARK-EYED JUNCO. The
idea with mines was that we would try for Hermit Thrush first thing, but
that we would ideally score the singing Say's Phoebe even before that.
Well, we blasted by the Say's Phoebe road without thinking. But stopping
at some sagebrush patches for Hermit Thrush at 5:30 did net us some more
Common Poorwills. Then, we were ready to really try for Hermit Thrush
(which often sound off at this kind of late date in the early early
morning and not later). We got to one patch. Nothing. Tried another.
Nada. Then after a few month I heard the chupping of a HERMIT THRUSH!!
We were giddy. Nearby, dawn chorus had started, and a cacauphony of
birds like ACORN WOODPECKER, NORTHERN FLICKER, CALIFORNIA SCRUB-JAYS and
many others had started to form. Nearby, a RUFOUS-CROWNED SPARROW sang
away. We had a select list of species we were hoping to see before
leaving Mines (and possibly returning, which we hadn't decided yet), and
we set off to see as many as possible. Down the canyon, a WILD TURKEY
called, and our initial spurt of birds like CALIFORNIA QUAIL, NUTTALL'S
WOODPECKER, ASH-THROATED FLYCATCHER, OAK TITMOUSE and WHITE- and
GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROWS, among others, made their presence known. We
pulled up to a certain house and quickly found the breeding SAY'S
PHOEBE. At a nearby patch of chaparral a BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER sounded
off, and we heard another Hermit Thrush.

We rolled up to a flowering patch of Mimulus that had been loaded with
Rufous Hummingbirds all through scouting. As expected, oodles of Rufous
Hummingbirds, including a couple nice males, whirred all around us.
Lucas soon called out "Calliope!". We all scrambled trying to get on the
hummer, and quickly Dessi also got a good view. Alex and I were both
coming up dry, but after a while Alex spotted the beautiful female
CALLIOPE HUMMINGBIRD perched on a snag. We were starting to have seen
almost everything we really wanted to on Mines. Birds like BAND-TAILED
PIGEONS and PINE SISKINS flew by overhead, and we were still adding some
new birds on the ground too. But the only serious issue bird was
Phainopepla. We tried at several areas that looked good and came up dry.
Then, on a ridge surrounded by valley oaks loaded with mistletoe, a
single PHAINOPEPLA sounded off. We found a few others at a consistent
area down the road, but we were just relieved to have one in the bag.
The last bird we were really missing now was MacGillivray's Warbler.
Earlier in the morning, Dessi and I heard what sounded perfect for Mac
in an area that looked perfect but the bird only called a few times but
it just wasn't conclusive enough and it wouldn't call more. So, we
decided to head to Mendenhall for migrants.

We got to Mendenhall later than hoped, around 7am, which I knew would be
bad for looking specifically for macs. Nonetheless, migrants were
instantly apparent. In one of the first patches of oaks, we found
several WESTERN TANAGERS, a small ground of CHIPPING SPARROWS, a
CASSIN'S VIREO, and a reclusive HERMIT WARBLER. Farther down the road,
we scored our second COOPER'S HAWK of the morning, along with a calling
HAIRY WOODPECKER. Cooper's was one I was genuinely very worried about,
but we ended up seeing 5 through the day! At the next major patch of
oaks we found another group of migrants, this including our first of 6-7
(!) HAMMOND'S FLYCATCHERS on this road, as well as a WESTERN WOOD-PEWEE.
Overhead, a GOLDEN EAGLE cruised by and landed in a dead oak and a
LAWRENCE'S GOLDFINCH called overhead. Our only real migrant we still
needed was Townsend's Warbler and we were frantically trying to turn one
up. We heard a singing Townsend's/Hermit and looked around until, lo and
behold, a male TOWNSEND'S WARBLER popped into view. We were ready to roll.

We'd done so well on Mines that we saw no need to go back. We pivoted
over to Lake Del Valle to add a few birds we needed in that region. As
we rolled up, we could see part of the lake from the hill above and
easily noticed a group of COMMON MERGANSERS along the shore. We stopped
at the bridge, quickly adding CLIFF SWALLOWS, a NORTHERN ROUGH-WINGED
SWALLOW and a flyover AMERICAN KESTREL (one of only two for the day!!).
The great author Ed Yong had reported Wood Ducks from this spot so we
looked upstream and found nothing. But downstream, sure enough, a male
WOOD DUCK was perched surreptitiously at the edge of the stream. Score!
Saved us a jaunt to Shadow Cliffs. Proceeding on to the main lake we
quickly added the local GREAT-TAILED GRACKLE. We proceeded to a willow
riparian belt and found our scouted DOWNY WOODPECKER, a remarkably
tricky bird on Bay Area big days. Walking around the shore of the lake
some more, a RED-SHOULDERED HAWK started calling. On the lake we found
birds like BUFFLEHEAD and PIED-BILLED GREBE (along with a couple more
flyby Wood Ducks) but no hoped-for Green Herons.

Rolling on down mines we had some stakeout American Goldfinches in
Livermore. On our drive we were hoping for Lark Sparrows. As we drove by
Dessi and Lucas thought they heard some Goldfinches so we whipped around
and got out. We found no Goldfinches there but did have a single LARK
SPARROW! Continuing up the road to Livermore Stockton Loop National
Forest Riparian Preserve we gleefully added several AMERICAN GOLDFINCHES
that have been lingering in this area.

As we were driving Lucas and I started grilling Alex about Cassin's
Kingbirds in the area. It seemed like they might be reasonable a ways
down the road on Tesla road, but as we were nearing Cross road Alex said
that this was a good region too. Lucas shouted that he had a kingbird so
we slowed down. Lucas jumped out of the car and yelled "Its a Cassin's!
Oh there are two! They have a nest!!" Sure enough in a big eucalyptus
there was a Cassin's Kingbird nest. Amazing.

We continued down Cross road and had a bizarre flock of Band-tailed
Pigeons in some trees in the grasslands. Good sign of movement. Alex had
mentioned in scouting that on days at Patterson Pass where he was seeing
grosbeaks and buntings in the grasslands at the base of the road it was
a good sign that the main willows east of the crest would be great.
Well, we got to the base and there were grosbeaks and stuff flying
around. Good sign.... We detoured west slightly to visit the Tricolored
Blackbird colony that had set up shop in the last few days. Dependably,
the dozens of TRICOLORED BLACKBIRDS were flying around and making noise.
Nearby, a pair of LOGGERHEAD SHRIKES were sitting on the wires.

We proceeded to the main part of Patterson Pass which was maybe the
craziest part of the entire day. As we rolled up to the upper willow
patch, Lucas spotted a female HOODED ORIOLE in with a group of
Bullock's. While we had one later in the day, too, this helped us not
stressing about stakeouts earlier in the route. In the willows, we
quickly picked up on a RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH hopping around the trees,
the only one of the day! (Though we consequently didn't try for the ones
in the hills). There was also an out-of-place White-breasted Nuthatch,
presumably a migrant. Nearby, a LINCOLN'S SPARROW sounded off, and
another Hermit Thrush called in the willows. As we were looking for
migrants, we heard a whitting Empid!! Eager to see what species it would
be, we chased after it to find a GRAY FLYCATCHER! Then while it was
calling, ANOTHER whitting empid started counter-calling! It took a
while, but we tracked this one down too--an obvious DUSKY FLYCATCHER!!
Not only are Duskies rare here, but this is at the very early end of
their expected timeframe in the Bay Area, rarely being recorded before
April 20th. Nearby, there was a vocal Hammond's, and at one point the
Dusky, the Gray, and the Hammonds were all in the same binocular view!!
That is something I may never again see in the Bay Area. We continued
working the same patch of willows and it just kept popping up new birds.
Not long after, Lucas picked out a male YELLOW WARBLER, and slightly
later we found another Gray Flycatcher down the same patch! Lucas also
got on a Hummingbird that was almost surely a Black-chinned but the rest
of us couldn't get on it so we left it off. As we were birding the
willows, a couple HORNED LARKS started singing from above, and a ROCK
WREN sounded off on the hillside. There were a few other birds in the
willows, such as a few Lark Sparrows and an assortment of other
migrants.We went to the lower patch of Patterson Pass and had quite a
few more migrants, including ANOTHER whitting Dusky Flycatcher!

Unable to believe our luck on this day, we continued to the bottom of
the road, where Alex had staked out a Swainson's Hawk nest in a pepper
tree in scouting. We pulled up and the nest was....vacant. Uuuuh. Hmmm.
We all started looking around and Lucas called out "its right on the
post!" Sure enough, the SWAINSON'S HAWK was perched out in the field.
Lets roll! We then engaged in one of my least favorite big day
maneuvers, leaving the county. And, sure enough, in the 2 minutes we
were in San Joaquin we saw a Northern Harrier, a bird we hadn't seen yet
on the day. Ugh.

Driving down 580 Dessi spotted another Swainson's Hawk circling around
overhead. As we were driving down, Alex yelled "Big white things
circling to the left!! They might be pelicans!!" Sure enough, a flock of
AMERICAN WHITE PELICANS was circling south of the freeway. Our luck was
strong.

We made a brief stop at Frick Lake, adding LESSER SCAUP, a lone GREATER
SCAUP, AMERICAN WIGEON, and GREAT EGRET. Continuing to Marlin Pound
Wetlands, we found our hoped-for WHITE-TAILED KITE along with the
BLUE-WINGED TEAL and CINNAMON TEAL I'd had during scouting.

The next stop was actually a 15 minute detour that had nothing to do
with birds: our back window was busted and wouldnt roll up, and we were
not nearly brave enough to bird the Alameda Bayshore with an open
window. So after switching over to Alex's car, we continued on to
Joaquin Miller. As we got there, we decided to look for Allen's
Hummingbirds, as they had been a pain for me. Looking for Allen's on big
days is one of my least favorite things, as they need to be an adult
male to officially count, and you can't just hear them (which you often
do with Selasphorus). So, while we did add PURPLE FINCH and PYGMY
NUTHATCH along with hearing a calling Hooded Oriole across the street,
we left for the forest after 5 minutes after hearing many selasphorus
but confirming none as Allen's. Ugh. In the forest, we quickly added a
singing BROWN CREEPER. We went up to where Dessi had pinned down a
Pacific Wren in a Redwood-lined Canyon and played a couple songs. After
a while, the PACIFIC WREN popped up and started singing. We were back to
Hummingbird Hell, and I went to a tree I'd seen one midday a few days
prior. After about 3 more long horrible minutes, I spotted a male way
up, but it wouldnt show its back. After a while, we were all able to get
on it and it turned its back--an ALLEN'S HUMMINGBIRD. Onwards!

We only had one real target in the hills left so we headed down Redwood
road. Hutton's Vireos had been common in scouting, but I still had made
a point to drop a pin for each and every one--I'd imagined exactly this
scenario happening. So we went to one pin. Nothing. Another. Northing.
Another. A Western Wood-Pewee sounded off but still nothing. Finally, we
at the last marked pin that I cared to go to, one sounded off,
distantly. We checked on a Ring-necked Duck I'd seen a few days prior
but no dice.

We blasted to Lake Temescal, a horrible big day spot but we felt
compelled nonetheless. We had two targets here, but neither would be
easy. After combating parking hell, we started by running around the
lake. this seemed like it would give us a good shot at Green Heron. When
we got to the northern shore, Alex spotted one of the nesting BALD
EAGLES, remarkably well hidden (for an eagle!) in a pine. As we got back
to the car Alex had to split off briefly and while he did Dessi noticed
a GREEN HERON perched on the shore of the lake right as Alex was getting
back! Amazed at our success, we shimmied out.

We headed upslope to Claremont Canyon, where Dessi had been what turned
out to be our most troublesome Berkeley Hills breeder. We arrived the
pullout and almost immediately were greeted by a singing OLIVE-SIDED
FLYCATCHER. Lets jam!

Rolling down the hill through Berkeley I realized we were heading by the
UC Berkeley Campus. "Hell, lets try for the Peregrines!" We knew where
the nest was but it still felt like a long shot. As we rolled up, it was
clear the birds were not on the nest. We started looking around randomly
when Dessi said "its up in the sky!" We all were treated to good views
of the Peregrine soaring around east of campus. We were off.

Proceeding into Berkeley we decided to look for the Costa's Hummingbird
reported continuously for many months. As we got to the spot Alex
pointed out which house it liked. Within minutes, the COSTA'S
HUMMINGBIRD flew up and perched on the telephone wire.

Rolling out to the Bayshore, we briefly checked Cesar Chavez Park. In
the cove there, we added CLARK'S GREBE, GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL nad
FORSTER'S TERN along with more Greater Scaup and another Green Heron!
Nearby at Seabreeze we found a group of BLACK TURNSTONES and our only
WHIMBREL of the day!

Continuing to Emeryville, the shorebird roost was nowhere to be seen
(too low tide or maybe they'd been flushed?), but we still added a
PELAGIC CORMORANT, BROWN PELICAN and BLACK OYSTERCATCHER on the nearby
docks, and to the south on the flats we found a few CASPIAN TERNS and a
flock of ELEGANT TERNS. Elegants being a regular sight in spring on the
shore of SF Bay is a pattern it will take me a while to get used to!

We continued on to Seaplane Lagoon, where a number of Red-necked Grebes
had wintered and been present up until a week ago, but were absent for
Alex and I on Friday. On Friday, however, we'd seen a Common Loon. We
started scanning the breakwater for cormorants and it took longer than
usual to locate a BRANDT'S CORMORANT. We'd seen most of the other
targets so were frantically scanning for a Loon or a Spotted Sandpiper.
After a while, with no dice on either, we bailed.

At Ballena Bay, we scanned the area where 7 scoters had been for Alex
and I on Friday. Today, however, we only found 2 lingering SURF SCOTERS.
But all you need is one! We went to the main harbor where we'd staked
out Grebes and Red-throated Loons on friday. Nothing. We continued
scanning. I walked a little ways down the edge of the harbor and sure
enough two RED-THROATED LOONS popped up. No Horned or Eared Grebes
though. Hmm. I thought the huge number of people including on kayaks
didnt help our cause. Eventually, we helped out, grebeless. I decided to
make a quick stop along the east-west shoreline to look for grebes and
loons some more. As we got out of the car, a SPOTTED SANDPIPER presented
itself on the riprap!

We next went to Elsie Roemer. One of the most frustrating moments of the
day was dealing with all the cars and people and stuff here. It was
awful. But eventually we arrived in the vicinity of the platform and
started scanning. We had basically one target. After about 5 minutes
Alex said that he'd found the three RED KNOTS we'd had in scouting.
Perfect.

Just down the road we were driving and Alex slammed on the breaks and
screamed "PINTAIL!!!!!!!" as a male pintail rocketed over the car. If we
thought luck wasn't on our side this was just another confirmation. We
detoured briefly to a small park where a Snow Goose had been recently
seen, and there was the SNOW GOOSE in a flock of Canadas. Heading down
MLK shoreline we detoured to another small park with another resident
flock of geese, this one that includes a resident BRANT, which was
foraging on the lawn with the geese. This saved us going to Arrowhead
Marsh, but we still drove to the fields on the road up to look for
Gulls. As we pulled in it seems the prospects were low, but luckily soon
Dessi spotted the continuing MEW GULL along the shore of the pond. Score!!

Rolling south, we briefly looked for Cackling Goose at Tony Lema Golf
Course before heading to San Lorenzo Creek. Though we had to run out to
the spot, we were enticed by a number of potential additions. As we got
to the mouth, Alex quickly spotted a LONG-BILLED CURLEW with the mix of
other shorebirds out there. In quick succession, a RUDDY TURNSTONE
appeared in the group. We were stressed for time, so we rolled out of
there quickly. As we were running back to the car, Lucas spotted the
evasive GREEN-WINGED TEAL, our last really glaring general bayshore target.

We next visited the Winton Avenue pond. I was praying that we would find
the Eared Grebe we'd seen during scouting here, so we wouldnt have to go
out to the main Winton Avenue Ponds. Shortly after we got out of the
car, a COMMON YELLOWTHROAT started singing. After a few minutes, Dessi
picked out the EARED GREBE actively diving in the pond. We were off!

Our next stop was another treat from team DMZ figuring this stuff out
over a decade ago. We went to Enterprise avenue in Hayward and, after a
couple minutes wait, a BONEPARTE'S GULL flew over to go to the WTP.

We proceeded south to Eden's Landing. After a little walk out to an
overlook, we tried for a Eurasian Wigeon Alex had scouted out. We'd
hoped for an American Pipit too, but we were not seeing any of the ones
we'd seen in scouting. Then, after a short while, a lone AMERICAN PIPIT
turned up along the road. Farther down, we located the SNOWY PLOVERS
Alex had scouted out. We got into better lighting for the duck flock
and, sure enough, the male EURASIAN WIGEON was still present. We were off.

We were rolling up to Coyote Hills with plenty more time than we
actually needed. But, as we got towards the area we were passing a Goose
flock and Dessi and Lucas noted a smaller goose in with the flock. We
screeched on the breaks and ran back to find a single GREATER
WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE with the flock! We couldn't believe our luck.
Rolling up to Coyote Hills we still needed two easy birds: Northern
Harrier and Common Goldeneye, and we had plenty of time (it was just
before 7). Within minutes of rolling up, we saw a single NORTHERN
HARRIER coursing over the marsh. We ran out to the goldeneye spot but
found nothing. Arex mentioned that we still had options, and that he'd
go scout ahead to see if there were any on another pond. So while Alex
ran in front of us, the rest of us jogged behind him. About a minute
later, Alex came back and said "I think theres one out there!" We all
walked up and there was not one but FIVE COMMON GOLDENEYE on a small
freshwater pond.

It was only 7:10 and we had to make a decision: stick it out at Coyote
and wait til dusk here or try another spot. We didn't have any logical,
obvious spots to check. Eventually, Alex mentioned the possibility of
going to Coyote Creek Lagoon farther south to see if there were any
lingering Herring Gulls. We were torn. No other option seemed more
alluring, as even though birds like Sharp-shinned Hawk, Merlin, Lesser
Yellowlegs, Ibis, and Vaux's Swift were all /possible /at Coyote, none
of them seemed at all likely. Ultimately, we decided to bomb to Coyote
Creek Lagoon, arriving around 7:30. There were tons of birds here, and
huge flocks of Dowitchers and peeps. We picked through to try to find
something more spicy but ultimately failed. A Bald Eagle flew over and a
Spotted Sandpiper was in the ditch, both of which felt like they could
have been new additions, but weren't.

As the sunlight left the area, we counted up our total and were met with
complete awe that we'd crossed what seemed to be an insurmountable
number in the Bay Area. We ended the day with only 2 "dirty birds" (both
seen by 3/4 team members), Northern Pintail and Hermit Warbler. I want
to thank every member of the team for an incredible energy and Alex's
incredible knowledge of the region. Also worth a shoutout to Zach Baer
for pinning down certain random things with this route over 10 years ago
that we gladly borrowed (e.g. Nocturnal Grasshopper Sparrows, Hayward
Bonaparte's). This will certainly be one of the most memorable days for
me in the Bay Area, and it would not have been possible without the
amazing team I had with me.

While this record could be beatable, it seems rather unlikely given how
many things lined up on the day, from stakeout rarities to amazing luck
with migrants and residents alike.

Like any big day, we had our fair share of misses (about 7 of which Alex
and I saw on 4/19 during scouting!) among them Cackling Goose,
Canvasback, Redhead, Ring-necked Duck, Hooded Merganser, Red-breasted
Merganser, Common Loon, Horned Grebe (a big miss), Lesser Yellowlegs,
Red-necked Phalarope, Solitary Sandpiper, Surfbird (cleared out a while
ago), Black Skimmer (the emeryville flock cleared out about a week
before the day), Least Tern, White-faced Ibis, Vaux's Swift,
Sharp-shinned Hawk, Greater Roadrunner, Burrowing Owl, Prairie Falcon,
Merlin, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Swainson's Thrush, MacGillivray's Warbler
(I'd had 3-5 on almost every day of scouting on Mines from April 17-20
and almost certainly had one on the day, too), Fox Sparrow (almost none
around this year), White-throated Sparrow, Bell's Sparrow (couldn't find
any on route).

Best of SPRING!!!

Logan

An ebird list with the species can be found here:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S169756562 (it will appear as 199 as Black
Rail is hidden)

Full species list below:

Snow Goose
Greater White-fronted Goose
Brant
Canada Goose
Wood Duck
Blue-winged Teal
Cinnamon Teal
Northern Shoveler
Gadwall
Eurasian Wigeon
American Wigeon
Mallard
Northern Pintail
Green-winged Teal
Greater Scaup
Lesser Scaup
Surf Scoter
Bufflehead
Common Goldeneye
Common Merganser
Ruddy Duck
California Quail
Wild Turkey
Ring-necked Pheasant
Pied-billed Grebe
Eared Grebe
Western Grebe
Clark's Grebe
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon)
Band-tailed Pigeon
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Mourning Dove
Common Poorwill
White-throated Swift
Anna's Hummingbird
Costa's Hummingbird
Calliope Hummingbird
Rufous Hummingbird
Allen's Hummingbird
Ridgway's Rail
Virginia Rail
Sora
Common Gallinule
American Coot
Black Rail
Black-necked Stilt
American Avocet
Black Oystercatcher
Black-bellied Plover
Killdeer
Semipalmated Plover
Snowy Plover
Whimbrel
Long-billed Curlew
Marbled Godwit
Short-billed Dowitcher
Long-billed Dowitcher
Wilson's Snipe
Spotted Sandpiper
Willet
Greater Yellowlegs
Ruddy Turnstone
Black Turnstone
Red Knot
Sanderling
Dunlin
Least Sandpiper
Western Sandpiper
Bonaparte's Gull
Short-billed Gull
Ring-billed Gull
Western Gull
California Gull
Glaucous-winged Gull
Caspian Tern
Forster's Tern
Elegant Tern
Red-throated Loon
Brandt's Cormorant
Pelagic Cormorant
Double-crested Cormorant
American White Pelican
Brown Pelican
American Bittern
Black-crowned Night Heron
Snowy Egret
Green Heron
Great Egret
Great Blue Heron
Turkey Vulture
Osprey
White-tailed Kite
Golden Eagle
Northern Harrier
Cooper's Hawk
Bald Eagle
Red-shouldered Hawk
Swainson's Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Barn Owl
Western Screech-Owl
Great Horned Owl
Northern Pygmy-Owl
Northern Saw-whet Owl
Belted Kingfisher
Acorn Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Nuttall's Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
American Kestrel
Peregrine Falcon
Olive-sided Flycatcher
Western Wood-Pewee
Hammond's Flycatcher
Gray Flycatcher
Dusky Flycatcher
Western Flycatcher (Pacific-slope)
Black Phoebe
Say's Phoebe
Ash-throated Flycatcher
Cassin's Kingbird
Western Kingbird
Hutton's Vireo
Cassin's Vireo
Warbling Vireo
Loggerhead Shrike
Steller's Jay
California Scrub-Jay
Yellow-billed Magpie
American Crow
Common Raven
Chestnut-backed Chickadee
Oak Titmouse
Horned Lark
Tree Swallow
Violet-green Swallow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Barn Swallow
Cliff Swallow
Bushtit
Wrentit
White-breasted Nuthatch
Pygmy Nuthatch
Red-breasted Nuthatch
Brown Creeper
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Rock Wren
House Wren
Pacific Wren
Marsh Wren
Bewick's Wren
European Starling
California Thrasher
Northern Mockingbird
Western Bluebird
Hermit Thrush
American Robin
Cedar Waxwing
Phainopepla
House Sparrow
American Pipit
House Finch
Purple Finch
Pine Siskin
Lesser Goldfinch
Lawrence's Goldfinch
American Goldfinch
Grasshopper Sparrow
Chipping Sparrow
Lark Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
White-crowned Sparrow
Golden-crowned Sparrow
Savannah Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Lincoln's Sparrow
California Towhee
Rufous-crowned Sparrow
Spotted Towhee
Western Meadowlark
Hooded Oriole
Bullock's Oriole
Red-winged Blackbird
Tricolored Blackbird
Brown-headed Cowbird
Brewer's Blackbird
Great-tailed Grackle
Orange-crowned Warbler
Nashville Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
Yellow Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Black-throated Gray Warbler
Townsend's Warbler
Hermit Warbler
Wilson's Warbler
Western Tanager
Black-headed Grosbeak
Lazuli Bunting

Back to top
Date: 4/22/24 7:13 pm
From: Richard Mix via groups.io <richardmix...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Pileated at Berkeley's Tilden
About 17:30 today Ann Callaway called my attention to a potential flicker call, but when I got the glasses on the top of the dead pine at Lone Oak picnic table (at Loop Rd & Meadows Canyon trail) my first words were "Holy cow!" A Pileated male, to go by the very long red crest bordered by white, though we couldn't make out any red on the chin: it seemed to like the shady side of the trunk. Lifer for me.

Richard Mix

Back to top
Date: 4/22/24 5:46 pm
From: richard s. cimino via groups.io <rscimino...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Black Vulture Mines Rd report
This morning, at about 11:30 AM, I was driving Mines Road in search of the
Black Vulture reported by Jim Chiropolos yesterday.

Driving slowly and checking each group of Turkey Vultures, I located the
Black Vulture.

The Black Vulture was not perched but floating flat-winged alongside a
Turkey Vulture over the home at Mile Marker 7.79.

The temperature was 80 degrees with no wind.

Both birds dropped out of sight in the Oak Valley below.

The Black Vulture reappeared about twenty minutes later, with several
vultures and a Raven close to Mile Marker 7:52.

I didn't proceed past the Mile Markers 7.79.

Other species of interest - seen or heard.

Bullocks Orioles, one male, and a female.

Pheinopla, two males and a female.

Two Western Kingbirds.

A Golden Eagle Soaring was in its 2nd year of plumage.

A Lazuli Bunting was calling near Mile Marker 5.22.

A California Thrasher was calling near Mile Marker 5.22.

The Yellowbilled Magpie should be nesting, so I wasn't surprised to have
seen only two flybys.

I haven't been birding Mines Road in some time. Today was a perfect day to
be on the Mines Road.

There was little traffic, very quiet, with birds singing at every stop.

Enjoy spring migration,

Rich Cimino

www.yellowbilledtours.com

Back to top
Date: 4/22/24 5:36 pm
From: JENNIFER FURY via groups.io <jennyfuzzy...>
Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] Eastern Alameda Co, Solitary Sandpiper
Mines Road:One nice bird on Sunday  - a male Prairie Falcom with a fresh catch, circling low overhead.Cheers,Jennifer FurySaltwater is the cure for everything,  sweat,  tears, or the sea...
-------- Original message --------From: "Aaron Maizlish via groups.io" <amm.birdlists...> Date: 4/22/24 4:28 PM (GMT-08:00) To: East Bay Birds <ebb-sightings...> Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Eastern Alameda Co, Solitary Sandpiper Got a late start this morning and decided to head to Eastern Alameda County for the first time this year to see if I could pick up some of the reported goodies and catch spring arrivals. Arrived at Mines Road around 10:30 and it was already about 80°.  Activity was low, as Jim Chiropolos reported yesterday.  No Black Vulture to be found (I checked a lot of vultures), it could be anywhere by now.  A dark juv Golden Eagle around MM 7 was a consolation.  At MM 8.96 I got into a nice assortment of finches that included at least 2 Lawrence’s Goldfinch near the road. There were also small numbers of Lazuli Bunting, Rufous-crowned Sparrow and a single Phainopepla around there.   Cross Road had a nice Swainson’s Hawk being mobbed by crows. Patterson Pass was a total bust.  I drove back over the old Altamont Pass Road stopping several times at some of my old spots.  Lots of puddles and ponds at various levels and I was cued in to look for migratory shorebirds.  At the foot of Dyer Road I finally found a good mud puddle on the left about 1000’ up from Altamont Pass Road, and bingo there was a Solitary Sandpiper hiding out at the back of the pond, along with a very vocal Yellowlegs and several Killdeer. Unfortunately the Solitary Sandpiper flew off while I was sitting in my car trying to magnify my photo enough to get a solid ID. It headed up the valley toward the reservoir.  It made a strong two-note flight call which I was not familiar with.   I don’t know if it will be back but the pond was here (37.7444167, -121.6769763).  There are lots of other puddles in the area in various stages of drying up and the time is right for more migratory goodies, so it might be worth a look. Aaron MaizlishSan Francisco

Back to top

Date: 4/21/24 8:05 pm
From: JENNIFER FURY via groups.io <jennyfuzzy...>
Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] Black Vulture, Mines Road (and reflections on birding Mines this year)
I bikes Mines yesterday,  and thought it was eerily quiet. Very few regulars...Cheers,Jennifer FurySaltwater is the cure for everything,  sweat,  tears, or the sea...
-------- Original message --------From: "Jim Chiropolos via groups.io" <jnc...> Date: 4/21/24 6:55 PM (GMT-08:00) To: <EBB-Sightings...> Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Black Vulture, Mines Road (and reflections on birding Mines this year) Mines Road Birding and Biking - Black Vulture!
Today I birded and biked my Mines Road patch. For April 21, it was amazingly non- birdy at a time when migrant songbirds should be around. I think I only saw/heard 20 migrant songbirds with half being ash-throated flycatchers, about 6 house wrens and only 3 warblers over 20 miles to the county line. Not one gnatcatcher!

On the way back,hot and tired as it may have hit 80 degrees, I saw an odd dark raptor, flying north. My first impression was bald eagle as it appeared to have no head and tail - thinking it was the light, but the wings were too short and broad and it seemed too small. As I studied the bird, it indeed had a dark small head and a very short tail with broad wings. Bald eagle not! Red-tails, Turkey Vultures and a raven were all flying in the area and this raptor was very different in proportions with wings held horizontal and a steady flight. Smaller than the TVs - Wow - a black vulture!!!

My friend Aaron told me its the first black vulture sighting, maybe, in Alameda. It will not be the last! Several years ago, a black vulture hung around in Marin for several years, mostly centered over Pt. Reyes but I saw it flying over Mt. Tam summit. Look out for vultures!!! Hopefully, it sticks around and we get more sightings- and based on the Marin vulture, it may cover a large area.

Mines road has been very slow the three times I have birded it this year. I still have not seen a golden eagle off Mines this year,a bird that I usually see maybe 75% of the time. Yellow-billed magpie numbers seen low, I have only seen one this year off Mines - most years, every ride I see 4 or more in the first 5 miles. Phainopepla numbers also seem low- usually a reliable bird biking mines and today I saw my first over three rides. I used to see Roadrunners off Mines most years biking but I birdied it more the last several years and have not seen a roadrunner here the last 3 or 4 years.

I have also yet to see the Lawrence goldfinches at the coral (mile 17.65). Today looking for them at the coral area,I was 75 feet from my bike. As I watched, a pickup peeled into the dirt and parked 2 feet from my bike. As I walked towards my bike, the guys in the pick-up were debating who would get my bike. They then saw me, and as the pick-up spun onto Mines Road, the driver thinking fast, said “Are you OK”. I cannot get that far from my bike these days…. Crazy!

Birding - you never know what you will see!

Jim Chiropolos
Orinda

Back to top
Date: 4/21/24 6:59 pm
From: Jim Chiropolos via groups.io <jnc...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Black Vulture
ps- I saw the vulture at Mines Road mile marker 8. It was circling north. (The mile markers are painted onto the road and poles with milage are located every 1/4 mile).

Jim Chiropolos

Back to top

Date: 4/20/24 5:09 pm
From: Zac Denning via groups.io <zdenning1...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Ash-throated Flycatcher at Creekside Park
Local interest:
There’s a ATFL at Creekside Park right now. Sitting quietly low in the
willows between
(37.8977507, -122.3034629) and the dead end. Stays still and hidden most of
the time, occasionally sallying out to catch a bee.

Zac Denning
Albany

Back to top
Date: 4/20/24 9:11 am
From: don_quixote72 via groups.io <dmsmith72...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Leucistic Eagle Continues Valle Vista
Yesterday afternoon calmly perched in a pine just past the corral. Really great view of it  How rare is this bird?

Back to top
Date: 4/20/24 6:50 am
From: Dominik Mosur via groups.io <dominikmosur...>
Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] Vollmer migration notes and reflections on Calliope hummingbirds
Jim, thank you for that lengthy and illustrious report. I always learn something new from reading other birders’ thoughts on migration timing, distribution, breeding behavior etc. etc. and your post encapsulated all these and so much more. Well done.

One quick note - the catkins you mention are not technically the seeds of the oak tree. These are male flowers laden with pollen and much sought after as a high nutrition food source by many spevies in the spring including pine siskins.

Just to put this out there , I will be leading a couple of birding excursions at Las Trampas Regional Wilderness outside San Ramon this spring. If anyone is interested please reach out off list.

Thank you and happy spring.

Dominik Mosur
San Francisco
> [...]
>
> That is what we are all looking for in migration- a condition that creates an oasis that birds favor over other areas. It can be topography,(mt Diablo - a “sky “island) weather (fog and wind direction), water (why San Francisco is so good - birds will not fly over water), native plants (why I think the west side of the Berkeley hills is poor for migration - too many alien plants), and parks, or stands of trees near the coast in urban open areas (such as the poplar grove by my Emeryville office) or a combination of all of the above.
>
> Today, when I got out of the house at 7 am, I checked the backyard sage patch where I have planted sage covering 400 square feet or so. Bingo - a make Calliope Hummingbird was working the sage. I see one here most years. They are super shy, preferring to be low in the sage and very low profile compared to Annas or rufous and Allens. I got three looks over the next 20 minutes. At 7:22, suddenly a female Allens/rufous appeared saw the Calliope feeding - zoom - and it was time to bully. After that, the calliope was gone, not to be seen again. For the next hour, two female Allen/rufous types battled over the sage patch. It took them 20 minutes to decide they could both coexist on half the sage patch.
> Over the years, only once have I ever seen a calliope at the house hummingbird feeders. I think they are so small they are easy to bully by the bigger hummers, do they like to work the margins of flower patches, If you want a calliope hummer in your yard, plant lots of sage and then you must be there for that short time period when they grace your garden. In my yard, with all the cat walks , I get a good idea of whats moving around as I spend a lot of time in the yard. Its one if the top east bay data bases as I have birded it almost the same way almost every fay since I first started recording sightings on ebird in 2017.
>
> Enjoy migration - and now is when it really heats up.
>
> Jim Chiropolos
> Orinda below Vollmer
>
> PS - one more interesting bird observation. We have chickadees that nest in a hole below the roof soffit in our house. Today, every several minutes, the adults are carrying food to the hole. I think the chicks just hatched! I think this is the earliest date ever….

Back to top

Date: 4/19/24 4:36 pm
From: Jim Chiropolos via groups.io <jnc...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Mitchel Canyon Today - Lewis Woodpeckers and reflections on birding canyon
Mitchell Canyon birding

I birded Mitchell canyon today. An interesting day there. Not super birdy low or along the creek, but the higher I walked (top of Red Road trail and to Deer Flat) the birding got much better with more warblers, tanagers and flycatchers high than low. If you ever bird Mitchell canyon and it doesn’t seem birdy low, walk higher - and the birding may get much better.

My highlight was 3 Lewis Woodpeckers high along red road trail. The first one I saw was backlit and I was confused- it wasn’t a crow, it wasn’t a flicker but in between. The habitat there was woodland (widely spaced trees with chaparral understory) do I didn’t even think Lewis for the ID. Another 100 feet of elevation gain and I had great looks at two Lewis Woodpeckers- one flew onto a perch 100 feet from trail. Wow. This was at about 10:30 an and I think they were migrating through as three other birders in area did not see them. I also did not see them again walking down Red Road 20 minutes later.

I then walked up to Deer Flat, a steep up for 2 1/2 miles but the higher I got, the better the birding. Multiple Townsends and Hermits with some tanagers etc. A high probability Dusky at Deer Flat - the area in contra costa county to see this difficult species!

It’s interesting how higher was better birding. My thought, and I could be wrong, is the trees higher have just leafed out. The trees chemical defenses are not present in high concentrations in the leaves so more insects are feeding and resultantly attracting more birds. The trees lower that are deciduous- are mostly evergreen so I think the leaves always have insect resistant chemicals….

It was interesting today seeing the elevation differences birding today. All Wilsons warblers and Pac-Slope flycatchers low. All Townsends/Hermit/ warblers tanagers high. Pine siskins have left peoples feeders and are now common high on the mountain feeding on oaks with the seed pods (calkins?).

More Hammonds Flycatchers seen today than Pac- slope. That rarely happens in bay area….

A note about birding Mitchell canyon. Today, the lower lot, except for the overflow lot was full by 9:30 am. The weekend will be much busier so plan accordingly. Car pool if possible so more people can park and to reduce the line at the entry kiosk where they collect $6.00 cash..

Migration is on!

Jim Chiropolos

Orinda

Back to top
Date: 4/19/24 2:41 pm
From: Zac Denning via groups.io <zdenning1...>
Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] Inspiration Point - High MacG Warbler count & more
P.S. Dominick Mosur helpfully informed me that April 18th would be well
before the earliest documented egg-laying date for MacGillivray's Warblers,
so my assumption that this was a food carry (to feed nestlings) was
probably hasty. This male (a first year bird I believe) was singing while
moving around with the caterpillar in his bill. Perhaps just a meal for
later. I wasn't able to find info on whether food might be used by this
species in attracting a mate or pair bonding.

On Fri, Apr 19, 2024 at 1:21 PM Zac Denning <zdenning1...> wrote:

> Yesterday, Jack Hayden and I went up to Inspiration Point. We were truly
> amazed to find 8 singing MacGillivray's Warblers - the most I've ever
> encountered in Tilden!
>
> Other highlights include 2 Black-throated Gray warblers and 1 Hermit
> Warbler (all close to the parking lot or within the first 1/2 - 3/4 mile)
> and a singing Western Tanager in the big Eucalyptus grove at about
> (37.9203491, -122.2549474). We saw and heard numerous gnatcatchers, singing
> thrashers, flyover GBH's, Caspian Tern and DC cormorants, plus some distant
> birds (including a white pelican) seen with our cameras on San Pablo
> Reservoir; 60 species in all. It was a beautiful warm day, and rewarding
> bird-wise. Among the few misses: we didn't find Lazuli Bunting, Cassin's
> Vireo, WT Swift and didn't see any harriers or kites.
>
> Starting at Inspiration Point, we walked on Nimitz Way as far as the
> Conlon Trail junction, explored the Conlon hilltop (which was quiet by that
> time), then backtracked, taking the Inspiration Trail through EBMUD land
> for part of the return.
>
> The 8 MacGillivray's Warblers were all at separate locations (except two
> that were counter-singing in one spot). Most were along Nimitz way, with
> one from the Inspiration Trail on EBMUD land. The closest MacG to the
> parking lot was toward the North end of the first pine grove from the
> parking lot (after the hill, at about 37.906470, -122.247537
> <https://maps.app.goo.gl/Ta5jzeAntWTsQEAv5>). I took some low quality
> photos of that bird carrying a caterpillar in its bill, so it appears to be
> feeding young. It's certainly possible that some of the other MacGs were
> migrants, singing en route.
>
> Here's an ebird list (including more info on locations, plus photos /
> audio for 5 of the 8 MACGs). https://ebird.org/checklist/S169210301
>
> For what it's worth, my wife reports today that Merlin suggested MACG
> (possibly a 9th bird), she heard singing on the Laurel Canyon fire road
> (just uphill from the junction with the spur trail that leads to the
> Wildcat Peak Trail/Nimitz junction). She's not a confident ear birder, but
> a 9th bird seems plausible at least, based on the numbers we encountered.
>
> Happy birding,
>
> Zac Denning
> Albany

Back to top

Date: 4/19/24 12:28 pm
From: Ethan Monk via groups.io <z.querula...>
Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] Mt. Diablo
Wednesday and Friday I spent the morning again on Mt. Diablo about a quarter mile east of Juniper Campground along Summit Rd. (“Grapevine Ridge”). Each day, between 8:30 and 8:40, just like on Monday, a single Cassin’s Finch flew over. You think once is a migrant, twice a fluke, but by time number three it seems to be a pattern… I’d guess this is a bird hanging around locally commuting over this site to somewhere else on the mountain. Very weird. In time I’ll get several audio recordings onto eBird.

After the finch this morning I walked over to the picnic area on Green Ranch Rd. where I encountered a whitting Empid. I chased it around in the chaparral for 30 minutes trying to decide Gray or Dusky (the timing is better for Gray, I think) but ended up tentatively calling it the more common, but slightly early, Dusky. Otherwise it was birdy up there, with decent numbers of Hermit, Townsend’s, Blk-thr Gray, Buntings and a couple Nashville. No Hammonds Flycatchers for me yet!!

Ethan Monk

> On Apr 15, 2024, at 10:39 AM, Ethan Monk via groups.io <z.querula...> wrote:
>

> This morning John Toldi and I audio recorded a Cassin's Finch on Summit Rd. on Mt. Diablo, about a quarter mile east of Juniper Campground. There are several previous spring records for the county, including one at the summit of Mt. Diablo on April 5th, 1995 (Kevin Hintsa). Otherwise it seems the night brought a decent pulse of Townsend's, Orange-crowned (on the mountain) and Wilson's Warblers (in Alamo). Lazuli Buntings and Ash-throated Flycatchers are now around.
>
> Best, Ethan Monk

Back to top
Date: 4/18/24 6:56 pm
From: judisierra via groups.io <judisierra...>
Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] GGBA t-shirts?
Or GGBA chat. https://groups.io/g/GGBA-Chat

On Thursday, April 18, 2024 at 05:44:39 PM PDT, Aaron Maizlish <amm.birdlists...> wrote:

Please send this message directly to the Golden Gate bird alliance. It is completely inappropriate for this list, which is about bird sightings.
Thank you,
Aaron Maizlish, moderator.
> On Apr 18, 2024, at 4:59 PM, mrkinch via groups.io <mrkinch...> wrote:
>
> I have many GGAS t-shirts but I would be so very happy if there were GGBA shirts available. There used to be yearly bird-a-thon shirts, and given the name change this would have been an appropriate year to offer a shirt. Personally, I don't even require a new design, though that would be welcome. I just want a shirt bearing our organization's correct name. Any chance?
>
> marilyn

Back to top
Date: 4/18/24 5:44 pm
From: Aaron Maizlish via groups.io <amm.birdlists...>
Please send this message directly to the Golden Gate bird alliance. It is completely inappropriate for this list, which is about bird sightings.
Thank you,
Aaron Maizlish, moderator.
> On Apr 18, 2024, at 4:59 PM, mrkinch via groups.io <mrkinch...> wrote:
>
> I have many GGAS t-shirts but I would be so very happy if there were GGBA shirts available. There used to be yearly bird-a-thon shirts, and given the name change this would have been an appropriate year to offer a shirt. Personally, I don't even require a new design, though that would be welcome. I just want a shirt bearing our organization's correct name. Any chance?
>
> marilyn

Back to top
Date: 4/18/24 4:59 pm
From: mrkinch via groups.io <mrkinch...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] GGBA t-shirts?

Date: 4/16/24 8:58 pm
From: Aaron Maizlish via groups.io <amm.birdlists...>
Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] Calliope Hummingbirds
Hey Chris,

I don’t think it’s your imagination - this has been a pretty good week for Calliope Hummingbirds. I chalk it up to winds and weather being favorable to blowing them toward the coastline during their narrow migration window. It’s definitely worth checking all of our local hummingbird patches extra carefully for the next few days.

Calliopes have a very narrow window migration as they head northward from wintering grounds to their summer breeding grounds in the Sierra, Cascades and Rockies. I have seen Calliopes five times around San Francisco Bay (though they’re more common inland):

4/16/15
4/16/20
4/17/20
4/20/20
4/14/24

Calliope Hummingbirds are the smallest long-distance migratory birds in North America, if not the world - and this is really their week to pass through!

While on the subject, this is also the best week for vagrant Costa’s Hummingbirds and Black-chinned Hummingbirds - both of might be more expected inland but can show up around the Bay in migration. I’ve been checking my local Pride of Madeira (echeum) patches for the past several days - and I suspect that’s exactly what Dessi and Marty were thinking when they found the vagrant Calliope in Redwood Shores a couple of days ago.

Another bird to be on the lookout for this week is Solitary Sandpiper - which are rare in the Bay Area and mostly only seem to show up in the second half of April on migration. Check anywhere where there is a good freshwater pond with some exposed mudflat - preferably a lot of mud. I think one of the reasons they are missed most years is because the Bay Area doesn’t have much in the way of abundant fresh water ponds/vernal pools, and some years everything is dry by this time. I’ve had four Solitary Sandpipers in the Bay Area and all were between April 15 and May 3. For example I found one in Berkeley Meadow in a fresh pond on 5/2/17 which was a very wet spring.

It always amazes me that even vagrancy has its predictable patterns - though I would say that these four species aren’t true vagrants - just migrants that get blown toward the coast when the conditions are right.

Happy spring birding everyone.

Aaron Maizlish
San Francisco

> On Apr 16, 2024, at 8:01 PM, Chris Ortega via groups.io <chrisorte9a...> wrote:
>
> Is it just me, or is this turning into something of a banner year for Calliope Hummingbird? With birds showing up in Monterey, San Joaquin, San Mateo, Santa Clara, and Yolo counties recently, this might be a good year to find one at a yard feeder. It's also possible I just haven't paid close enough attention in the past, but this feels unusual to me. I'd be interested to hear what others think.
>
> Good spring birding!
>
> Chris Ortega
> Bay Point

Back to top

Date: 4/16/24 3:59 pm
From: JENNIFER FURY via groups.io <jennyfuzzy...>
Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] Albany Bulb eagle is Bald
And potentially a real bummer for our ospreys....Cheers,Jennifer FurySaltwater is the cure for everything,  sweat,  tears, or the sea...
-------- Original message --------From: "Sam Zuckerman via groups.io" <samzuckerman...> Date: 4/16/24 2:15 PM (GMT-08:00) To: <EBB-Sightings...> Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Albany Bulb eagle is Bald

Now consensus that the Albany Bulb eagle was an immature Bald, with white axillaries and enormous beak diagnostic. Thanks to Teale Fristoe, Dom Mosur and Chris Ortega for the ID. A Bald Eagle over the Bay is not stop-the-presses news, but still a nice bird to see.

Back to top
Date: 4/16/24 2:15 pm
From: Sam Zuckerman via groups.io <samzuckerman...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Albany Bulb eagle is Bald

Date: 4/16/24 2:09 pm
From: Sam Zuckerman via groups.io <samzuckerman...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Albany Bulb eagle: Golden or Bald?

Turns out there's some uncertainty among strong birders whether Albany Bulb eagle is Golden or Bald. Thoughtful comments welcome. Here's the link to photos again: https://ebird.org/checklist/S168942603

Back to top
Date: 4/16/24 2:05 pm
From: Chris Ortega via groups.io <chrisorte9a...>
Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] Golden Eagle at Albany Bulb
Hi Sam,

I think the Cassin's Sparrow hasn't been seen in several days now. As for
the eagle, it looks better for an immature Bald Eagle to me with those
white axillaries and huge beak.

Chris Ortega
Bay Point

On Tue, Apr 16, 2024, 1:53 PM Sam Zuckerman via groups.io <samzuckerman=
<comcast.net...> wrote:

> This morning, during an futile attempt to find the Albany Bulb Cassin's
> Sparrow, a Golden Eagle flew over the western end of the bulb headed north,
> harried by a crow. First time I've seen this eagle species over the Bay.
> Photos at https://ebird.org/checklist/S168942603

Back to top
Date: 4/16/24 1:53 pm
From: Sam Zuckerman via groups.io <samzuckerman...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Golden Eagle at Albany Bulb

Date: 4/14/24 9:57 pm
From: Ethan Monk via groups.io <z.querula...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Clifton Sabines
This afternoon there was a Sabine’s Gull at Clifton. At times it was with the Bonapartes in “Bonaparte’s Corner” circa one mile from the parking lot and sometimes it was alone far out over the forebay. Srikant Char joined me and we looked hard for the Black-headed Gull and did not see it, but viewing conditions were quite challenging and I would be thoroughly unsurprised if it was hiding among the now even larger number of Bonapartes.

Photos to come on eBird. No it was not a kittiwake.

Ethan Monk

Ethan

Back to top
Date: 4/13/24 3:26 pm
From: Janet Johnson <electricista545...>
Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] Camera Roll | Flickr
Call Craig Nikitas, raptor rescuer: 415-810-5116

--
Janet Scoll Johnson
pronouns: she/her

Back to top

Date: 4/13/24 3:04 pm
From: Susana dT <trapaga...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Point Pinole Regional Shoreline April 12th sightings
Bird of the day: about 15 Elegant Terns (many Caspian too).
3 Western kingbirds
2 Hooded Oriole
1 Bullock's Oriole
We heard Pymy Nuthatch again approx. at this location 38.004154, -122.351468 but haven't seen them yet, they are hard to find in the high Eucalyptus.
Regarding Ospreys, it didn't look like chicks hatched yet.
https://ebird.org/checklist/S168328629

Susana de Trapaga
Hercules Ca 94547

Back to top
Date: 4/12/24 3:48 pm
From: Rosemary Johnson <compasros...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Osprey nest at Pt Pinole
Yesterday there were two adult osprey and at least one in the nest. I first saw one flying on the north side of the peninsula and then later in the vicinity of the nest. The other adult was perched on a post adjacent to the nest then took off after the other adult in a Sw direction. I didn't have a scope so I'm not sure if there was another nestling. In past years there have been 2 but this year may be different. This nest has been used for a number of years. It is on the furthest tripod of posts from the old pier. It is easily visible from the newer concrete pier with binoculars. Rosemary Johnson Hercules Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Back to top
Date: 4/12/24 1:09 pm
From: Johan Langewis <jlangewis...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Leucistic Bald Eagle
On our GGBA bird walk at Valle Vista this morning we enjoyed views of a leucystic Bald Eagle eating a fish. The head, neck, and tail were white as in an adult, and most of the dark plumage was a very pale light brown, almost white. It was perched in a tree on the shore of the reservoir, across the water from the horse paddock. Also seen flying, it looked like a ghost. Photos will be posted on eBird later today, they were digiscoped so I apologize in advance for the poor quality.

Johan Langewis
Oakland

Back to top
Date: 4/11/24 12:52 pm
From: Michael Park <dpbot...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Recent Berkeley Hills odd sightings
With the warm weather, I thought there might some movement along the ridge bordering Tilden Regional Park. I had a few interesting surprises.

Yesterday, there was one Western Kingbird and one female Northern Harrier -- both northbound.

Today, a group of four Brown-headed Cowbird moving up-canyon.

Michael Park
Berkeley

Back to top
Date: 4/10/24 6:50 pm
From: rosita94598 via groups.io <rosita94598...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] two short Anna's Hummingbird stories
Late Monday I noticed what turned out to be a fledgling Anna's scooting around on the tile of our patio.  It was not strong enough to fly.  I collected it in a paper bag, eventually grabbed it by the tail so it looked like a 1950s hood ornament.  We dipped its bill into a hummingbird feeder, it seemed to gain a little strength.  It survived the night, we repeated the process in the morning and took it to Lindsay Wildlife yesterday before noon.  We know they do not all make it, but it is so hard to see it happen in front of one's own eyes.  Maybe this one will survive.
Today we had a Bushtit come into our patio and was interested in approaching the birdbath with a little fountain.  Suddenly an Anna's decided it needed to be in the water just then and the Bushtit disappeared over the fence.  If I were a Bushtit and was faced with that long pointed bill, I would probably leave, too.
Hugh B. HarveyWalnut Creek

Back to top
Date: 4/7/24 8:32 pm
From: rosita94598 via groups.io <rosita94598...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Huckleberry Preserve trail above PInehurst
We wanted to look for two specific flower species, Checker Lily and Trillium, both of which we did find.  But we were very fortunate to hear and find a very cooperative male Wilson's Warbler and to show it to a family with a young girl who appreciated seeing it.  Spring is such a great time to be in the Cathedral of the Great Outdoors.
Yesterday a friend and I saw Golden Eagles and Western Kingbirds along Bollinger Canyon on the way into Las Trampas Regional Park.  We also waited over an hour on a very muddy hillside in Bishop Ranch Open Space and were finally able to have a glimpse of the leucistic Acorn Woodpecker.  This is a short way up the Gray Fox Trail off Morgan Drive in what I guess is San Ramon.  The Cathedral is very big and not hard to find.
Hugh B. HarveyWalnut Creek

Back to top
Date: 4/7/24 6:17 pm
From: Sheila Dickie <peregrine5243...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Greater White Fronted Geese Richmond
Five Greater White Fronted Geese seen foraging with a good sized flock of
Canada Geese on the grassy area between Shimada Friendship Park and the
Richmond marina today at 5 p.m.

Sheila Dickie
Richmond

Back to top
Date: 4/6/24 9:32 am
From: Ethan Monk <z.querula...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Red-naped Sapsucker
This morning there is a Red-naped Sapsucker on Green Ranch Rd. in the blue oaks here:

(37.8724900, -121.9177170)

It seems to be hanging around (for now) around this small little spring. Still snow on the ground up here!

Ethan Monk

Back to top
Date: 4/5/24 8:59 pm
From: Ethan Monk <z.querula...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] early spring misc.
As spring kicks into full gear I have found once again some more time to
get out and bird around Contra Costa County. Below, in reverse
chronological order, are some highlights.

Today 4/5 after the rain (and in some places snow) last night I headed out
to Richmond for a check of the bayside spots. Brooks Island was active, but
nothing unusual. 35 Brant and 10 G.w. Gulls linger, and I estimated 100
Caspian Terns and 200 California Gulls at their colonies. 2 Snowy Plovers
on the beach were likely wintering birds lingering since 10/22. At Landfill
Loop later there was an alternate ~3rd+ cycle Lesser Black-backed Gull
(perhaps the same as the bird first noted here on 12/22 by Jack Hayden, Dan
Sidle, and Noah Arthur and seen two-three times since) and the highlight of
my morning was a Great-tailed Grackle in Stege Marsh, singing at the
"Richmond Pond"! The handful of documented/acceptable west county reports
are all from spring time, and this was my first for Richmond. Right off
Meeker Slough was a raft of about 120 Aechmophorus grebes, almost all
Western to my eye. Normally Clark's Grebes are dominant or close to in
Richmond, but this big raft of Westerns seems to form here routinely in
March and April, and maybe to a lesser extent in late fall? In the winter
there are often Aechmophorus rafts here, too, but my sense has been that
there is a distinct and noticeable increase in overall numbers and numbers
of Western Grebes in spring.

On 3/31 I made a visit to Bethel Island where I found a Red-throated Loon
swimming in Frank's Tract to add to this season's inland bumper crop. Turns
out Owen Bowie had one nearby on 3/3, and is then likely the same bird.
Interestingly, the year has not seemed that exceptional for Red-throated
Loons where they are expected in Richmond. I certainly recorded more last
winter... Other birds of note on Bethel included a migrant m/f pair of B-w
Teal on Bethel Isl. Rd., two newly arrived female Pintail, and an uncommon
migrant Rough-winged Swallow over Frank's Tract.

3/30-3/31, a Thick-billed Fox Sparrow was very vocal but visually much less
cooperative at the county's only reliable location for this species on
Green Ranch Rd. (Mt. Diablo SP).

3/26 about 200 Snow Geese were grazing on Bethel Island, and on Holland
Tract a largish flock of ~400 Blackbirds in the channel appeared majority
male "nominate" Red-winged Blackbirds. Typically I think of adult male
nominates as departed by April, but perhaps not considering the few hundred
so close to the end of the month. There was also a m/f pair of
Yellow-headed Blackbirds in the group, the male singing frequently. All of
these blackbirds, Yellow-headed included, were gone on the 31st.

Good birding, and happy spring!
Ethan Monk

Back to top
Date: 4/5/24 1:39 pm
From: <ilink21bl...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Rufous-crowned Sparrow

Back to top
Date: 4/3/24 12:16 pm
From: Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur...>
Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] Clifton Court Forebay
regarding this comment by Jim:

"It’s been over a week of strong winds from the north creating a migration
bottleneck. When the winds shift, it will be a great day to get out!"

as many who have looked for fly-over migrants on hilltops (Mt. Diablo, Napa
Ridge etc.) in spring can attest headwinds (from north or northeast) DO
NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT create a migration bottleneck. In fact some of the
best flights of migrants have been in such conditions.

The lack of noticeable/large-scale movement of passerines thus far is
simply because its still so early in the spring migration window.

Dominik Mosur
San Francisco

On Thu, Mar 28, 2024 at 4:26 PM Jim Chiropolos via groups.io <jnc=
<wje.com...> wrote:

> I arrived at the forebay at 9:40 am and did my usual route biking around
> the forebay and back- with more time allotted to hopefully find Ethan’s
> Black Headed Gull. I found Bonaparts gulls, around 80 by Eucalyptus island
> (2 miles out). One possible candidate, but too far out to verify.By 11 am
> the gulls had moved too far out in the forebay to get good bin looks (I
> counted approximately 200 Bonaparts Gulls). Almost all remained way out
> through 2:30 pm. I concur with Ethan’s recommendation - your best chance is
> arriving after4 pm as by then the small gulls will hopefully move closer to
> shore with the added advantage of the sun at your back (morning you are
> looking into the dun on an already difficult ID).
>

> Clifton is always fascinating however. Today’s bird stars were American
> pipits, over 100 on the leveethat have mostly molted into breeding colors
> with grey backs and peachy buff bellies - no streaking - and bright white
> side tail feathers- they look like a new species! The only obvious recent
> migrants were three western Kingbirds. It’s been over a week of strong
> winds from the north creating a migration bottleneck. When the winds shift,
> it will be a great day to get out!
>

> Today’s highlight was running into a group of scientists from state fish
> and wildlife. They were monitoring western pond turtle population- the
> channels on the north side are one of their strongholds in the state. We
> have always worried the core of engineers would clear vegetation in this
> area to protect the levees, but the scientists told me this strip is
> important habitat and protected - good news! I also got to see a tiny
> turtle they had just caught 1-inch “big” - maybe a month out its shell!
>

> Jim Chiropolos
>
> Orinda

Back to top
Date: 4/2/24 11:57 am
From: Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Las Trampas Regional Wilderness 4/1/24
Paid another visit to Las Trampas yesterday morning. For a change of pace I
accessed the south end of Las Trampas ridge from the Elworthy Ranch Staging
area (off San Ramon Blvd/Elworthy Ranch Rd.)

Some fun sightings :

Golden Eagle - nice dorsal views of an adult bird as it flew below eye
level along the ridge.

Merlin - hunting Western Meadowlarks on the ridge; stayed in view for over
15 minutes as it perched on the ground in between sorties on the meadowlark
flock and at times interacting with one of the local American Kestrels.

American Pipits - a large flock (200+) was foraging around the ephemeral
ponds on the east side of the ridge near the Remington Loop Trail.

Grasshopper Sparrow - first arrival singing away

Thanks to all those who answered my query regarding the active Golden Eagle
nest. East Bay Regional Parks and USGS biologists are aware of the nest
and monitoring it.

Full list of the effort here:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S166867719

Happy Spring Birding/Easter/Ramadan et al.

Dominik Mosur
San Francisco

Back to top
Date: 3/29/24 12:13 pm
From: Matt Tarlach <mtar925...>
Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] ID help with a warbler at McNabney Marsh this AM?
Thank you all! I never considered that.
--
----
Matt Tarlach

Back to top
Date: 3/29/24 11:29 am
From: Chris Ortega <chrisorte9a...>
Hi Matt,

This is an American Pipit. They have a lot of superficial similarities to
warblers, but are in a separate family with other pipits and wagtails. For
most of the winter they're duller than this, but they're coming into
breeding plumage now.

Chris Ortega
Bay Point

On Fri, Mar 29, 2024, 11:20 AM Matt Tarlach <mtar925...> wrote:

> Any ideas about this little guy, seen out my car window as I was leaving
> the overlook along the southern access road? Sorry about the photo quality.
> This is the best I got, holding my cell phone to the eyepiece of my
> handheld binos.
> I took the bird at first for a Yellow-rumped, but while it doesn't show
> well in the photo there was a very noticeable soft yellowish wash all under
> the bird---from the vent area to the belly. No concentrated patches of
> yellow at the sides, or on the rump. The bill (unclear in the photo) was
> warbler-shaped.
>
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/Dx4hT6ihGHrJrmFw6
>
> --
> ----
> Matt Tarlach
> Walnut Creek

Back to top
Date: 3/29/24 11:23 am
From: Aaron Maizlish <amm.birdlists...>
Hi Matt,

I would say this is most likely an American Pipit.

Aaron Maizlish
San Francisco

> On Mar 29, 2024, at 11:20 AM, Matt Tarlach <mtar925...> wrote:
>
> Any ideas about this little guy, seen out my car window as I was leaving the overlook along the southern access road? Sorry about the photo quality. This is the best I got, holding my cell phone to the eyepiece of my handheld binos.
> I took the bird at first for a Yellow-rumped, but while it doesn't show well in the photo there was a very noticeable soft yellowish wash all under the bird---from the vent area to the belly. No concentrated patches of yellow at the sides, or on the rump. The bill (unclear in the photo) was warbler-shaped.
>
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/Dx4hT6ihGHrJrmFw6
>
> --
> ----
> Matt Tarlach
> Walnut Creek

Back to top

Date: 3/28/24 9:05 pm
From: Jerry Britten <jeraldabritten...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Black-Headed Gull continues at Clifton Court Forebay
Michael Park got a few of us other birders onto the Black-Headed Gull that
was found on the 26th by Ethan Monk, at about 5PM on the western shore
about 1 mile from parking. An ebird checklist with some very bad photos is
here: https://ebird.org/checklist/S166305028 Hopefully others were able
to get better ones.
Jerry Britten
Morgan Territory.

Back to top
Date: 3/28/24 4:26 pm
From: Jim Chiropolos via groups.io <jnc...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Clifton Court Forebay
I arrived at the forebay at 9:40 am and did my usual route biking around the forebay and back- with more time allotted to hopefully find Ethan’s Black Headed Gull. I found Bonaparts gulls, around 80 by Eucalyptus island (2 miles out). One possible candidate, but too far out to verify.By 11 am the gulls had moved too far out in the forebay to get good bin looks (I counted approximately 200 Bonaparts Gulls). Almost all remained way out through 2:30 pm. I concur with Ethan’s recommendation - your best chance is arriving after4 pm as by then the small gulls will hopefully move closer to shore with the added advantage of the sun at your back (morning you are looking into the dun on an already difficult ID).

Clifton is always fascinating however. Today’s bird stars were American pipits, over 100 on the leveethat have mostly molted into breeding colors with grey backs and peachy buff bellies - no streaking - and bright white side tail feathers- they look like a new species! The only obvious recent migrants were three western Kingbirds. It’s been over a week of strong winds from the north creating a migration bottleneck. When the winds shift, it will be a great day to get out!

Date: 3/28/24 8:57 am
From: Ethan Monk <z.querula...>
Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] Black-headed Gull
Hi Erica,

Sorry for being so slow to get photos out. I’ve made a temporary list to help.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S166245897

Ethan

> On Mar 28, 2024, at 8:29 AM, Erica <ihearwaxwings...> wrote:
>
> Hi Ethan, can you say what cycle the bird is? thank you and congratulations, Erica

Back to top
Date: 3/28/24 8:29 am
From: Erica <ihearwaxwings...>

Date: 3/27/24 10:48 pm
From: John Luther <aplomado-falcon...>
Black-headed Gull as reported by Ethan Mar 26 continued today, Mar 27 at Clifton Court Forebay.  At about 5 PM after about 3 hours of looking for it the gull flew by 3 of us as it went north over the water very close to the levee we were on in the area described by Ethan yesterday about a mile from the parking area.   We estimated over 400 Bonaparte's Gulls on the water at one time (at about 6 PM) maybe only about a quarter mile from the parking area. And others were still flying around at that time.
John LutherOakland
On Tuesday, March 26, 2024, 7:51:53 PM PDT, Ethan Monk <z.querula...> wrote:

This evening there was a Black-headed Gull with about 200 Bonaparte's at Clifton Court Forebay. It is customary in the spring for Bonaparte's Gulls to begin arriving in the forebay's northwest corner at about 3-4pm. They accumulate here until about 5-6 and then begin to fly south to other places on the forebay, including sometimes closer to the main parking lot. Tonight the Black-headed Gull followed that pattern, appearing in the forebay's northwest corner about a 1-1.5 mile walk from the parking lot about 4pm with the 200 or so Bonaparte's and promptly disappeared. It was only an hour or more later that I refound the bird sitting on the water with about 30 Bonaparte's, only about a half mile or less north of the parking area. The best chance of seeing this bird again would be to spend tomorrow afternoon in the forebay's northwestern corner and hope the bird reappears...
Photos will make it to eBird eventually...
This is the 2nd county record. The first was in 1954.
Ethan Monk

Back to top

Date: 3/26/24 5:22 pm
From: Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Las Trampas Regional Wilderness/San Ramon - spring arrivals and breeding birds 3/25/24
Yesterday, Monday 3/25/24, Megan and I spent the morning and early
afternoon exploring Las Trampas Regional Wilderness near Danville/San
Ramon, Contra Costa County.

To get a full appreciation of this site I highly encourage people to bird
the ~4 mile stretch along Bollinger Canyon Rd. north of Faria Preserve
Parkway before it dead ends at the main parking lot and staging area in
addition to the trails.

observations of note:

California Quail - a paltry count of 5 (one pair, one 2m f trio)
underscores the continued decline of our state bird in habitat near urban
centers.

White-throated Swifts - engaging in courtship behavior over the valley.
White-throated Swift is now a widespread breeder in drainage openings and
vents along highway overpasses throughout the county but I suspect based on
their near constant presence here in spring and summer that they also
snest in crevices in the rock formations on Trampas Ridge

Golden Eagle - a bird incubating on a nest on private property just outside
the park boundary was seen thanks to the generous offer of the landowner
inviting us to see it. Here I also learned that the park authorities are
planning to begin construction of a new parking lot and staging area nearby
within a few weeks which could have potential detrimental effects on the
nesting eagles. If anyone from Mount Diablo Audubon or similar conservation
outfits in this part of Contra Costa is interested in more details please
contact me off list.

Western Kingbird - the first arrival of spring I've noted in 2024 was
flycatching off the fence alongside Bollinger Canyon Road near the jct with
Bear Tree Road.

Common Raven - a pair is nesting in one of the "wind sculpted" rock
formations on Trampas Ridge

Blue-gray Gnatcatchers - a healthy count of 7 recently arrived birds along
the Trampas Ridge/Chamise/Trapline trails was good for March but not
unexpected

White-throated Sparrow - a first spring bird in heavy molt was with
Golden-crowned Sparrows at the main staging area at the north end of
Bollinger Canyon Rd. and I suspect the same individual observed in December
near the Little Hills Farm about 500m to the south

Rufous-crowned Sparrows - two birds were countersinging off the Rocky Ridge
Trail/Fire Road starting at el ~1700' where they are resident

Lark Sparrow - one recently arrived bird was singing off Rocky Ridge
Trail/Fire Road a bit lower down the the Rufous-crowns at almost the
identical spot where a family of adults and fledglings were noted last June

Savannah Sparrows - in the grasslands along Rocky Ridge trail, these are
wintering birds that will soon depart hopefully to be replaced by
Grasshopper Sparrows which nested here last year.

Full list of the effort can be seen Here:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S165992598

Later in the day, acting on a tip from Megan's mom, we visited a "mini"
Great Egret rookery consisting of at least two nests in a eucalyptus along
Alcosta @ Village Parkway in south San Ramon, on the county line with
Alameda. Apparently these egrets are managing to eke out a living feeding
at water features and along mostly channelized Oak Creek on the nearby golf
Course.

Happy Spring birding to all,

Dominik and Megan Mosur
San Francisco/San Ramon

Back to top
Date: 3/26/24 1:28 pm
From: Mark Rauzon via groups.io <mjrauz...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Cassin's Sparrow bathing with White-throated Sparrow, photo study
After a brief song at 0748, the Cassin's Sparrow went AWOL for well over an hour, but the sun did finally coax the CASP from hiding to begin to a show off. Teale Fristoe, Jim Scharf and another gentleman followed the sparrow moving west next to the main road as it narrows at the neck. At one point a fox sparrow counter sung to the Cassin's on either side of the main trail, then astoundingly, despite the dog disturbances, the sparrows begin to come down to bathe in the remaining puddles on the main trail. That's when Teale spied a white-throated sparrow bathing as the Cassin's approached. We could see the yellow mark at the wing bend on both sparrow, a field mark that is occasionally conspicuous in other sparrows like savannah and grasshopper. Here are some photos that will click through from today, and some from yesterday at Golden Gate Park where a summer tanager was cooperative. Thanks to the original discoverers, Ellen Plane and Alison Su who found CASP on March 17, a bird that has brought joy to hundreds!
Mark Rauzon, Oakland
CAL LAND BIRDS

| | |

| |
CAL LAND BIRDS

Photo slide show

-
-
-
-

Back to top
Date: 3/24/24 4:02 pm
From: Alexander Henry <awhenry...>
Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] eBird hotspot question
I agree what you mention as “Gilman Street/Golden Gate Fields waterfront”
is a bit of a gap between hotspots.

That area is called Point Silent Disco or Silent Disco Vista Point, which I
think would be a fun hotspot name. Sorry I have made this extremely
tangential to the original topic though so my bad.

--
Alex Henry

Back to top
Date: 3/24/24 3:55 pm
From: Zac Denning <zdenning1...>
> [...]

>>> descriptor to the Pt. Isabel hotspot to encourage people to stop their
>>> lists when they leave the dogpark on the north side. That way lists for Pt.
>>> Isabel are ideally constrained to the area from the county line in the
>>> Albany Crescent to the north end of the dogpark, and then we have another
>>> single (1) hotspot for all of the areas from roughly "the Nelson's Sparrow
>>> spit," southwest to the edge of the dogpark.
>>>
>>> I'd like feedback on this before I do it, especially from today's most
>>> active users of these hotspots, but anyone is welcome to chime in. Feel
>>> free to comment on list, or reply to me off-list, privately. These are
>>> fairly well entrenched hotspots (they have been this way as long as I've
>>> been using eBird) so there might be some emotions tied up in this!
>>>
>>> All of the Richmond Marina/Marina Bay neighborhood hotspots would remain

Back to top
Date: 3/24/24 3:19 pm
From: Zac Denning <zdenning1...>
Hey Chris,

Sure thing. The Meeker / 51st hotspot border is I believe the Meeker
footbridge on the bay trail. After you cross over the creek bridge from the
Meeker / Richmond harbor side, you’re in the 51st st area. That’s at least
my recollection from doing the Richmond CBC in that area, and talking to
other birders (corrections welcome).

Zac

Back to top
Date: 3/24/24 3:12 pm
From: Alexander Henry <awhenry...>

--
Alex Henry

Back to top
Date: 3/24/24 2:38 pm
From: Chris Ortega <chrisorte9a...>
> [...]

>> descriptor to the Pt. Isabel hotspot to encourage people to stop their
>> lists when they leave the dogpark on the north side. That way lists for Pt.
>> Isabel are ideally constrained to the area from the county line in the
>> Albany Crescent to the north end of the dogpark, and then we have another
>> single (1) hotspot for all of the areas from roughly "the Nelson's Sparrow
>> spit," southwest to the edge of the dogpark.
>>
>> I'd like feedback on this before I do it, especially from today's most
>> active users of these hotspots, but anyone is welcome to chime in. Feel
>> free to comment on list, or reply to me off-list, privately. These are
>> fairly well entrenched hotspots (they have been this way as long as I've
>> been using eBird) so there might be some emotions tied up in this!
>>
>> All of the Richmond Marina/Marina Bay neighborhood hotspots would remain

Back to top
Date: 3/24/24 12:21 pm
From: Zac Denning <zdenning1...>
> [...]

> descriptor to the Pt. Isabel hotspot to encourage people to stop their
> lists when they leave the dogpark on the north side. That way lists for Pt.
> Isabel are ideally constrained to the area from the county line in the
> Albany Crescent to the north end of the dogpark, and then we have another
> single (1) hotspot for all of the areas from roughly "the Nelson's Sparrow
> spit," southwest to the edge of the dogpark.
>
> I'd like feedback on this before I do it, especially from today's most
> active users of these hotspots, but anyone is welcome to chime in. Feel
> free to comment on list, or reply to me off-list, privately. These are
> fairly well entrenched hotspots (they have been this way as long as I've
> been using eBird) so there might be some emotions tied up in this!
>
> All of the Richmond Marina/Marina Bay neighborhood hotspots would remain

Back to top
Date: 3/24/24 9:25 am
From: Catherine Fox <cevansfox...>

Back to top

Date: 3/24/24 8:19 am
From: Ethan Monk <z.querula...>

<gmail.com...> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The past couple of years I've been a bit weirded out by the hotspots in
> the Stege Marsh Area--specifically Meeker Slough, S. 51st St., and Hoffman
> Marsh, which all seem a bit redundant. I was thinking of merging all of
> these hotspots into one, called Stege Marsh (the "official" name of this
> marsh) or Stege Marsh and Meeker Slough, or similar, and adding a
> descriptor to the Pt. Isabel hotspot to encourage people to stop their
> lists when they leave the dogpark on the north side. That way lists for Pt.
> Isabel are ideally constrained to the area from the county line in the
> Albany Crescent to the north end of the dogpark, and then we have another
> single (1) hotspot for all of the areas from roughly "the Nelson's Sparrow
> spit," southwest to the edge of the dogpark.
>
> I'd like feedback on this before I do it, especially from today's most
> active users of these hotspots, but anyone is welcome to chime in. Feel
> free to comment on list, or reply to me off-list, privately. These are
> fairly well entrenched hotspots (they have been this way as long as I've
> been using eBird) so there might be some emotions tied up in this!
>
> All of the Richmond Marina/Marina Bay neighborhood hotspots would remain
> untouched.
>
> Let me know. Thanks.
>
> Ethan Monk

Back to top