EBB-Sightings
Received From Subject
4/10/21 6:55 pm Paul Schorr <pkschorr...> [EBB-Sightings] Red-breasted Nuthatch - Antioch yard - 4/10
4/10/21 4:06 pm Jim Chiropolos <jnc...> [EBB-Sightings] Lawrence’s Goldfinches and other Birds, Black Diamond Mines
4/9/21 4:17 pm judisierra via groups.io <judisierra...> [EBB-Sightings] FOS Pacific-slope flycatcher
4/9/21 10:29 am rosita94598 via groups.io <rosita94598...> [EBB-Sightings] Heather Farm Park Friday April 9
4/8/21 8:35 pm Claude Lyneis <cmlyneis...> [EBB-Sightings] Duckling at Lake Anza
4/8/21 1:48 pm rosita94598 via groups.io <rosita94598...> [EBB-Sightings] Heather Farm Park in Walnut Creek
4/8/21 12:45 pm tracy_farrington via groups.io <tracy_farrington...> [EBB-Sightings] Castle Rock/Diablo Foothills/Pine Canyon
4/7/21 5:37 pm Paul Schorr <pkschorr...> [EBB-Sightings] Phainopepla - Black Diamond Mines R. P., Antioch - 4/7
4/7/21 12:19 pm Alexander Henry <awhenry...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Western Kingbird eating an insect
4/7/21 12:15 pm Claude Lyneis <cmlyneis...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Western Kingbird eating an insect
4/6/21 7:31 pm Douglas Vaughan <gdougvaughan...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Western Kingbird eating an insect
4/6/21 5:50 pm Claude Lyneis <cmlyneis...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Western Kingbird eating an insect
4/6/21 5:25 pm Claude Lyneis <cmlyneis...> [EBB-Sightings] Western Kingbird eating an insect
4/5/21 7:58 pm Paul Schorr <pkschorr...> [EBB-Sightings] Contra Loma R. P., Antioch - 4/5
4/5/21 11:50 am Rosemary Johnson <compasros...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Nesting osprey pair at Point Pinole Regional Shoreline
4/5/21 7:00 am lwpayne919 via groups.io <lwpayne919...> [EBB-Sightings] Kingbird in Sunol RP Saturday on Flag Hill
4/4/21 10:56 pm <mj...> [EBB-Sightings] Nesting osprey pair at Point Pinole Regional Shoreline
4/4/21 1:15 pm tracy_farrington via groups.io <tracy_farrington...> [EBB-Sightings] Castle Rock/Diablo Foothills Regional Park, Walnut Creek
4/4/21 12:37 pm rosita94598 via groups.io <rosita94598...> [EBB-Sightings] Sunday morning in Heather Farm
4/3/21 10:22 pm Alan Bade <alanb1491187...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Walnut Creek sightings
4/3/21 9:38 pm Claude Lyneis <cmlyneis...> [EBB-Sightings] Finally a Wilson's Warbler
4/3/21 7:03 pm Melani King <melani...> [EBB-Sightings] Bird activity at Tilden and a PSA
4/3/21 6:11 pm Jim Chiropolos <jnc...> [EBB-Sightings] Brionnes Drought
4/3/21 5:14 pm fgsafier <fgsafier...> [EBB-Sightings] Walnut Creek sightings
4/2/21 7:30 pm Philip Georgakakos <pgeorgakakos3...> [EBB-Sightings] Sunol Trip report
4/2/21 7:24 pm Jackie Bobrosky <electricjmb...> [EBB-Sightings] FOS Hooded Oriole in Martinez
4/2/21 3:38 pm Elegans via groups.io <Elegans...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Mass Bird Die-Off Linked to Wildfires and Toxic Gases
4/2/21 2:50 pm Edward Vine <elvine...> [EBB-Sightings] Mass Bird Die-Off Linked to Wildfires and Toxic Gases
4/1/21 10:54 am Jerry Britten <jeraldabritten...> [EBB-Sightings] Pine Siskins today, Snowy Plovers yesterday
3/31/21 6:10 pm Elegans via groups.io <Elegans...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] FOS Hooded Oriole
3/31/21 5:22 pm Jane Chinn via groups.io <janechinn...> [EBB-Sightings] FOS Hooded Oriole
3/30/21 10:04 pm Claude Lyneis <cmlyneis...> [EBB-Sightings] Large number of Avocets, Marbled Godwits and some Long-billed Curlew at Pt. Isabel
3/29/21 3:02 pm Kitty O'Neil via groups.io <kittoi...> [EBB-Sightings] Shoot The Rainbow - April 10 Bird Photo Big Day!
3/29/21 1:21 pm Ethan Monk <z.querula...> [EBB-Sightings] Richmond Today (3/29)
3/27/21 9:12 pm Christine <cra...> [EBB-Sightings] Bald Eagle 3/26/21
3/27/21 12:33 pm rosita94598 via groups.io <rosita94598...> [EBB-Sightings] nesting in Walnut Creek
3/25/21 8:00 pm Pam Young via groups.io <pamyoung2...> [EBB-Sightings] Rufous Hummingbird on Curran Trail in Tilden Park
3/22/21 8:27 pm Hilary Powers <hilary...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Unidentified duck at San Lorenzo Creek/Reservoir
3/22/21 12:36 pm Bill Bousman <barlowi...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Unidentified duck at San Lorenzo Creek/Reservoir
3/22/21 10:27 am Melani King <melani...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Pt. Richmond - Hermit Thrush and Golden-crowned Kinglet
3/22/21 10:17 am Rosemary Johnson <compasros...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Pt. Richmond - Hermit Thrush and Golden-crowned Kinglet
3/22/21 8:52 am Susana dT <trapaga...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Unidentified duck at San Lorenzo Creek/Reservoir
3/21/21 10:26 pm Lawrence DiCostanzo <Lawrence.DiCostanzo...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Pt. Richmond - Hermit Thrush and Golden-crowned Kinglet
3/21/21 10:07 pm Lawrence Danos <ldanos...> [EBB-Sightings] Unidentified duck at San Lorenzo Creek/Reservoir
3/21/21 9:38 pm mbstern2 via groups.io <mbstern2...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Pt. Richmond - Hermit Thrush and Golden-crowned Kinglet
3/21/21 7:09 pm Debra g via groups.io <dgolata...> [EBB-Sightings] When to put feeders back?
3/21/21 5:55 pm Connor Cochrane via groups.io <connorscochrane...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Early Spring Migrants at Muir Beach
3/21/21 5:40 pm Connor Cochrane via groups.io <connorscochrane...> [EBB-Sightings] Early Spring Migrants at Muir Beach
3/21/21 4:09 pm Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Pt. Richmond - Hermit Thrush and Golden-crowned Kinglet
3/21/21 3:58 pm Marianna Ford <Mford0121...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Pt. Richmond - Hermit Thrush and Golden-crowned Kinglet
3/21/21 2:45 pm Lawrence DiCostanzo <Lawrence.DiCostanzo...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Pt. Richmond - Hermit Thrush and Golden-crowned Kinglet
3/21/21 1:52 pm Melani King <melani...> [EBB-Sightings] Pt. Richmond - Hermit Thrush and Golden-crowned Kinglet
3/21/21 1:52 pm rosita94598 via groups.io <rosita94598...> [EBB-Sightings] Possible Chickadee nesting in Walnut Creek yard
3/18/21 7:12 pm Sheila Dickie via groups.io <falconmae...> [EBB-Sightings] Merlin and Waxwings
3/18/21 1:17 pm rosita94598 via groups.io <rosita94598...> [EBB-Sightings] Heather Farm in Walnut Creek
3/17/21 9:20 pm Johan Langewis <jlangewis...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Red-breasted or Common Merganser at Lake Anza
3/17/21 8:41 pm Claude Lyneis <cmlyneis...> [EBB-Sightings] Red-breasted or Common Merganser at Lake Anza
3/17/21 4:31 pm Sharon Jue <sljue1...> [EBB-Sightings] JJ Sutter shoreline
3/16/21 5:51 pm Alok Singhal <gandalf013...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Osprey catches a leopard shark
3/16/21 3:59 pm <Elihsdavey...> [EBB-Sightings] Osprey catches a leopard shark
3/15/21 1:00 pm Edgar Molina via groups.io <edgarmolina...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Peregrine Falcon #SIPBIP
3/15/21 12:53 pm Charlie Wells <cwells2073...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Peregrine Falcon #SIPBIP
3/15/21 12:49 pm <tomcrown1...> [EBB-Sightings] Peregrine Falcon #SIPBIP
3/12/21 6:10 pm Claude Lyneis <cmlyneis...> [EBB-Sightings] Merlin at Arrowhead
3/12/21 4:47 pm Lee Friedman <lfried6...> [EBB-Sightings] Yellow-bellied and Red-breasted Sapsuckers at Lake Anza
3/12/21 3:51 pm Alexander Henry <awhenry...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Western Kingbird - Antioch outskirts - 3/11
3/12/21 3:35 pm Paul Schorr <pkschorr...> [EBB-Sightings] Western Kingbird - Antioch outskirts - 3/11

Back to top
Date: 4/10/21 6:55 pm
From: Paul Schorr <pkschorr...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Red-breasted Nuthatch - Antioch yard - 4/10
This morning, while Nancy and I were having our coffee on the patio and watching the small flock of about twenty-five American Goldfinches at our feeders, we heard the very distinctive call of a Red-breasted Nuthatch. The bird was very likely in our neighbor’s redwood trees, but to our disappointment, it never made an appearance. In addition to the American Goldfinches, we also had Lesser Goldfinches, House Finches and a few Pine Siskins at the feeders. The American Goldfinches are absolutely stunning in their alternate plumage. They look like they jumped off of a painted wall calendar.

Happy Birding.

Paul Schorr

Antioch

Back to top
Date: 4/10/21 4:06 pm
From: Jim Chiropolos <jnc...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Lawrence’s Goldfinches and other Birds, Black Diamond Mines
I biked the west half of Black Diamond Mines today.

The highlight was watching a scrub jay catch and subdue a 10 inch long ring-necked snake longer than the jay. (These snakes have a beautiful red belly). Wow! Jays are tough!

Other highlights were at least 20 Lawrence’s Goldfinches at the Black Diamond Trail where it turns to blacktop by the Cumberland trail intersection. Three male Phainopepla and Chipping sparrows were also in this area. This is one of the better birder areas in the park, but its three miles in from the closest and different trailheads.

Multiple Lawrence’s goldfinch sightings today in the bay, I think this may be an “invasion” year for them. I wonder if more Lawrence’s are in the northern part if their range due to the drought. It will be interesting to compare sightings of them through the state this year compared to previous years. Wings are a great tool to adapt to changing conditions!

Not many warblers in Black Diamond, nine birds of five different species. Amazed by how dry it it in early April - the hills are already turning brown and the trails have the soil shrinkage resulting in ground “splits” already that want to suck in and eat bicycle tires, making biking and birding harder because I have to watch the trail - its like late June already - scary. Bird numbers low except for the three finch species.

Back to top
Date: 4/9/21 4:17 pm
From: judisierra via groups.io <judisierra...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] FOS Pacific-slope flycatcher
I heard my first this year in Strawberry Canyon this morning. It was on the other side of the fence in the UC Botanical Garden.

A FOS for my yard Wilson's warbler has been gleaning insects all afternoon (still out there) mainly from an old type very dense rose bush. The Titmice have been busy going in and out of the nest box beginning today so there must be chicks. I was a little distracted by some squirrel behavior I hadn't seen. A female, possibly a pup kept jumping and clinging on the back of an adult. Then they.d tumble around together and repeat.

Judi Sierra
Oakalnd

Back to top
Date: 4/9/21 10:29 am
From: rosita94598 via groups.io <rosita94598...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Heather Farm Park Friday April 9
The Wood Ducks were making the photographers happy this morning, first walking under the big oak across from the wooden railing and the parking area, then swimming out in front of the island.
The large Muscovy Duck which I first saw the morning of Palm Sunday, seems to like haning with the Canada Geese--they are about the same size.  Sometimes, though it is by itself, as it was yesterday on the lawn near the parking area.  Today it was on the sidewalk at the concrete pond in front of the rose garden, about four feet from a Canada Goose.
Barn and Rough-winged Swallows flew over the pond.
The Downy Woodpeckers may finally have entered the housekeeping phase.  Yesterday he arrived at the hole, looked in, then went higher in the tree.  She looked out after a bit, then backed down and out of sight.  Guess we'll know in 2-1/2 to 3 weeks.
And for those of you who have not watched online, the Peregrine Falcons at the PG&E building in San Francisco have three chicks as of yesterday.

Hugh B. HarveyWalnut Creek

Back to top
Date: 4/8/21 8:35 pm
From: Claude Lyneis <cmlyneis...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Duckling at Lake Anza
No rare species to be found either in Wildcat Canyon Gorge or at Lake Anza today, but I did see an Mallard with a single duckling. It looked very young to me, but was able to swim in tight formation with his mom.

Photo link. https://flic.kr/p/2kRUn54 <https://flic.kr/p/2kRUn54>

Claude Lyneis
<cmlyneis...>
https://www.youtube.com/bhsvideodad <https://www.youtube.com/bhsvideodad>
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/lyneisfilm

Back to top
Date: 4/8/21 1:48 pm
From: rosita94598 via groups.io <rosita94598...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Heather Farm Park in Walnut Creek
It seemed fairly quiet for me today, as the Canada Geese were not making all of their noise chasing each other.  In fact, there did not seem to be many of them around the ponds.  There were also only a few Mallards, but the wood Ducks were on the island when looking from the wooden railing.
The Downy Woodpecker pair may have finished construction, as he came to take a look and she was inside.  He moved away and she went back in.
There were still plenty of White- and Golden-crowned Sparrows today, but no Lincoln's or Fox.
Barn, Rough-winged and a Cliff Swallow were seen flying over the big pond.
Hugh B. HarveyWalnut Creek

Back to top
Date: 4/8/21 12:45 pm
From: tracy_farrington via groups.io <tracy_farrington...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Castle Rock/Diablo Foothills/Pine Canyon
The morning offered up some fine birding, and I was happy to take advantage of it. A few yards beyond the entry gate to Castle Rockpark, right where the creek passes beneath the paved road, I found a Rock Wren standing atop a wooden fence post to my left. After a briefdisplay, it flew off well into the hilly field. Shortly thereafter, in that same field,there were four splendid Lark Sparrows, two of which were gatheringnesting materials.
While searching for Bullock's Orioles (which I never did find), I was able tospot a single male Brown-headed Cowbird high in a Locust Tree near thebasketball court adjacent the pool area.
Shortly after passing through the first cattle gate, I found a Rufous-crownedSparrow singing in a shrub on the right side of the road. This bird has, of late,been quite regular along this stretch. In addition, there were several singingOrange-crowned Warblers. I heard many more during the morning, double, I would say, from my walk of four days ago.
When I made it to the Castle Rocks, I was able to find a single Peregrine Falconroosting in one of the smaller grottos. I heard, and then saw, a pair of HairyWoodpeckers moving rather hastily through an oak on the west side of the road.
I continued to the State Park boundary at the second cattle gate, and decided tosit awhile at one of the wooden tables. I've done this "sit" many times before, asthe nearby stand of tall oaks tends to host a decent variety of species duringthe spring. Again I found another pair of Hairy Woodpeckers, a pair of Nuttall'sWoodpeckers, a Cassin's Vireo, Hutton's Vireo, and at least three WarblingVireos. Also found, a Pacific Slope Flycatcher, confirmed by its vocalization.And before I left, a bright Wilson's Warbler.
Generally speaking, the numbers of White-crown and Golden-crown Sparrowshave noticeably declined over the last week. Likewise with Yellow-rumped Warblers.
'Tis the season.
Tracy FarringtonWalnut Creek

Back to top
Date: 4/7/21 5:37 pm
From: Paul Schorr <pkschorr...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Phainopepla - Black Diamond Mines R. P., Antioch - 4/7
After I did some cleaning in the garage, Nancy and I decided to go to BDMRP for a picnic lunch. Along the entry road near the ranch buildings of the old Moeller Ranch , we spotted a Western Kingbird hawking insects. We continued on to the upper parking lot at the end of the road and the adjacent picnic area where we had our lunch. While eating there we had the following species: Acorn Woodpecker, Nuttall’s Woodpecker, Oak Titmouse, Lesser Goldfinch, Western Bluebird, Turkey Vulture, Mourning Dove, White-breasted Nuthatch, Dark-eyed Junco, and Common Raven. After lunch we walked to the upper picnic area near the amphitheater. Along the way, we had a single Bushtit which was unusual, Lincoln Sparrow and Black Phoebe. At the picnic area we picked up a European Starling, more Turkey Vultures and a flock of about 15 Rock Pigeons.

On our return trip down to our vehicle, I spotted a male Phainopepla perched at the top of a Coast Live Oak near the bathrooms. It then moved to the top of a nearby Locust tree and Nancy also had good views at that point. We were hoping for a possible Lazuli Bunting at that location also, but I don’t think that they have arrived yet.

Happy Birding,

Paul Schorr
Antioch

Back to top
Date: 4/7/21 12:19 pm
From: Alexander Henry <awhenry...>
Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] Western Kingbird eating an insect
Presumably the same individual reported there on April 2 by Denise Wight?

On Wednesday, April 7, 2021, Claude Lyneis <cmlyneis...> wrote:

> EBB and Kingbird
>
> Thanks for all the thoughtful comments on whether the photos show a
> Western Kingbird or a Tropical Kingbird at Arrowhead March about a hundred
> yards south of the north walkway. Since there is no clear consensus I
> looked at iBird and Wikipedia and I favor the Tropical Kingbird
> identification.
> The amount of yellow on the breast seems inconclusive. However, the tail
> is dark brown and not black and it appears to be forked not square. Both
> of these characteristics favor the Tropical Kingbird identification.
> Perhaps the bird will remain at Arrowhead long enough for someone to make
> a definitive ID.
>
> 37°44'24.804" N 122°12'38.784" W
>
> Flickr. https://flic.kr/p/2kRwayb
>
> Claude Lyneis
>
> On Apr 6, 2021, at 8:51 PM, Joseph Morlan <jmorlan...> wrote:
>
> This is a Tropical Kingbird.
>
> On Tue, 6 Apr 2021 17:25:26 -0700, "Claude Lyneis" <cmlyneis...>
> wrote:
>
> April 6. I was at Arrowhead Marsh around noon today and spotted a Yellow
> Bird that didn’t match any in my photo list. It was hoping around in a
> tree eating something.
>
> The most instructive photo showing that it is a Western Kingbird with an
> insect is in the link below.
>
> Link. https://flic.kr/p/2kRvWL9 <https://flic.kr/p/2kRvWL9>
>

> Claude Lyneis
> <cmlyneis...>
> https://www.youtube.com/bhsvideodad <https://www.youtube.com/bhsvideodad>
> https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/lyneisfilm
>

> --
> Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA
>

> Claude Lyneis
> <cmlyneis...>
> https://www.youtube.com/bhsvideodad
> https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/lyneisfilm

--
Alex Henry

Back to top
Date: 4/7/21 12:15 pm
From: Claude Lyneis <cmlyneis...>

Flickr. https://flic.kr/p/2kRwayb <https://flic.kr/p/2kRwayb>

Date: 4/6/21 7:31 pm
From: Douglas Vaughan <gdougvaughan...>
My reaction to the first photo was, Wow, large bill for a Western. And no obvious white on the outer tail feathers. Tropical Kingbird would be a great find. Not sure I’m qualified to vote, however, on the basis of these photos.

Doug Vaughan

Date: 4/6/21 5:50 pm
From: Claude Lyneis <cmlyneis...>

Date: 4/5/21 7:58 pm
From: Paul Schorr <pkschorr...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Contra Loma R. P., Antioch - 4/5

> Today, as Nancy and I were driving along the road to the entrance kiosk we saw two courting Western Kingbirds on the adjacent fence.
>
> When we arrived at the boat launch area, we heard and then saw at least two male Bullock’s Orioles. We encountered at least two more near Loma Island and an additional bird near the swimming lagoon, giving us an estimated total of six for the day.
>
> We were very surprised at the high count of Golden-crowned Sparrows we had for the day. There were numerous flocks of many birds and our estimated total of birds was 75, more than our estimated total of 40 White-crowned Sparrows. Usually we tally far more White-crowns than Golden-crowns.
>
> Near the swimming lagoon, we had a calling Sora.
>
> During our drive on the East Side Drive, two women walkers came upon a large snake which turned out to be a gopher snake about three feet in length. They were pretty nervous about the snake and wanted us to give them a ride, but when I picked up the snake and offered to let them pet it, they were okay to continue their walk.
>
> Although it was quite breezy, it was a good day to be out. We tallied 33 species for the day. My eBird report follows:
>
> eBird.org/checklist/S84890230 <http://ebird.org/checklist/S84890230>
>
> Happy Birding.
>
> Paul Schorr
> Antioch

Back to top
Date: 4/5/21 11:50 am
From: Rosemary Johnson <compasros...>
Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] Nesting osprey pair at Point Pinole Regional Shoreline
This nesting site is in use every year, at least for the last several years. I presume it is the same pair as that is typical osprey behavior.

> On 04/04/2021 10:35 PM <mj...> wrote:
>

> Yesterday was my first time at Point Pinole Regional Shoreline, and I was amazed at all the birds I saw. Most notable was a nesting osprey pair. On the pier, facing the water (not the park), look at the top of the second wooden structure to the right of the pier. I saw an osprey sitting on a nest, with a second osprey atop another wooden post about twenty feet away. Here's a photo I took with my phone through my binoculars: https://photos.app.goo.gl/DjAEnhFV91uYovbk6
>
> eBird checklist: https://ebird.org/checklist/S84723738
>
> Mary Ann Jawili
> El Cerrito

Back to top
Date: 4/5/21 7:00 am
From: lwpayne919 via groups.io <lwpayne919...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Kingbird in Sunol RP Saturday on Flag Hill
Saturday afternoon at the top of Flag Hill a kingbird perched and darted about in the trees above the cows near the stone "Flag Hill" sign. By the time I dug out my book it had flown off, so I could not discern which kind of kingbird. I'll go out on a limb and posit: presumably Western; presumably not Couch's : )

The beautiful Sunol Saturday included lots of Western bluebirds, oak titmice, TVs, some red tails, gc and wc sparrows, Annas hummingbirds, CA towhees. Seeing lots of Brewer's blackbirds walking looking for bugs in the grasses brought to mind how infrequently I see Brewer's blackbirds. If memory serves correctly it was the most common city bird I'd see in the Bay Area. Now I NEVER see them. Crazy.

There were lots of starlings everywhere as well. The usual corvids too.

Another Sunol highlight was flying kestrel with a something...a large bug or an amphibian or something...in its bill. The kestrel landed on a tree limb and gave the prey to another kestrel that then flew off.

Lots of lovely people too!

Lewis

Back to top

Date: 4/4/21 1:15 pm
From: tracy_farrington via groups.io <tracy_farrington...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Castle Rock/Diablo Foothills Regional Park, Walnut Creek
Migrant activity is beginning to tick up nicely as my outing to Diablo Foothills, this morning, was to reveal.Walking through the Castle Rock recreation area ( where I began a little after 7am), I noticed that there are still a fair number of Golden-crowned Sparrows. A considerably smaller number of White-crownedSparrows were distributed around the general area. Small numbers of California Quail foraged overthe little ball field. Several House Finches carried nesting materials in the pic-nic areas near the pool. All of the Western Bluebirds I saw wore their vibrant dark azure, characteristic of Spring.
Further up the road, about 150 feet beyond the ball field, I spotted my FOS Bullock's Oriole. The richnessof deep orange plumage on this male can not be overstated. In the next couple of weeks we shouldbe able to find at least five nesting pair from the pool area up to, and beyond where I found this morning'sbird. Nearby, there was a single Pine Siskin.
Moving on, I heard, and then spotted, a brightly singing Rufous-crowned Sparrow. It was about 100 feet beyondthe first cattle gate. Orange-crowned Warblers were also heard. I would continue to hear, and see, several morethroughout the morning.  Most of the Yellow-rumped Warblers have molted into their alternate finery. One among the several I saw was a very bright and distinct Myrtle.
I then made my way to the Castle Rocks, and while it took a few minutes, saw one of the Peregrines. Along the way to theState Park boundary, at the second cattle gate, I had my FOS Wilson's Warbler, Warbling Vireo, Hutton's Vireo,and Cassin's Vireo. Upon my return, there were numerous White-throated Swifts, and a few Violet-green Swallows well above the Castle Rocks. Soaring higher still, was a single Golden Eagle.
Spring!
Good birding, all.

Date: 4/4/21 12:37 pm
From: rosita94598 via groups.io <rosita94598...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Sunday morning in Heather Farm
Despite being Easter Sunday and wearing lots of clothes, when I saw Ted R as I was leaving I told him I was becoming cold.  Still, I had some interesting bird sightings.
The Downy Woodpecker male is on at least Day 12 of his construction project.  He was busy tapping even deeper in his hole this morning, while a Black-crowned Night-Heron perched in the willows on the pond-side of the trail.  I noticed that the bottom of the entrance is already elongated due to the going in and coming out of the both of them.

Swallows of three species were seen, Barn, Rough-winged and Violet--green.  They were over the large, mostly natural pond, not the pond near the private Seven Hills School.
After skipping Friday for a visit to Garin Reg. Park, the Ring-necked Ducks have left as of yesterday.  Their numbers have dwindled to less than fifteen or twenty, but by yesterday there were none.  Of the winter ducks, one female Bufflehead persists.
And for the occasion, the Easter Egg of the duck world, the male Wood Duck, was swimming in the concrete pond with the female.

Today I heard a Hutton's Vireo calling somewhere in the giant Eucalyptus trees at the north ball field parking lot.  Never found it, but did see the Starlings copulate on a light standard and they may have a nest in one of the trees.
The sparrow population has also dwindled, though yesterday I did have one Lincoln's Sparrow come out for seeds.  Did not see it today.  Another I missed today was the little Song Sparrow which is missing a tail.  He has been that way for a couple of months, now.  But I am also seeing fewer White-crowned and Golden-crowned Sparrows.

Hugh B. HarveyWalnut Creek

Back to top
Date: 4/3/21 10:22 pm
From: Alan Bade <alanb1491187...>
Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] Walnut Creek sightings
Hi Fred- Thanks for the sparrow report. We still have our regular
White-throated sparrow amidst its small flock of white-crowned sparrows. We
live in southern Pleasant Hill.

It over-wintered here last year and this year and is a regular visitor in
our yard. Last year, it left around April 6th, 2020 and it returned on the
7th of November, 2020. We'll miss it when it leaves, which I'm expecting
will happen soon. We've also had a Fox sparrow recently, which has been
nice. https://ebird.org/checklist/S84637921

I thought I might have heard a white-throated along the EBMUD right-of-way
along Grayson creek near Oak Park blvd in Pleasant Hill early this week. I
recorded it and put it into BirdNet, and it suggested white-throated
sparrow as well, but I wasn't confident enough to list it. It didn't have
enough of the song, so I didn't trust it. I don't have much experience
with white-throated sparrow song, as ours here hasn't sung for us.

While we are on sparrows; I've checked on the Chipping sparrows down near
Astrid Lane along the EBMUD trail occasionally but haven't seen them since
2/20/21. https://ebird.org/checklist/S82047837

Alan Bade
Pleasant Hill

On Sat, Apr 3, 2021 at 5:15 PM fgsafier <fgsafier...> wrote:

> Since these birds have been mentioned in other posts, I suppose I should
> report that in our Walnut Creek neighborhood I had a White-throated Sparrow
> feeding on the ground with a few Golden-crowns on Thursday, and a
> Black-throated Gray Warbler high in an oak with several Yellow-rumps this
> morning.
>
> Fred Safier

Back to top
Date: 4/3/21 9:38 pm
From: Claude Lyneis <cmlyneis...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Finally a Wilson's Warbler
About 3 pm today about a mile north of Lake Anza in Wildcat Canyon Gorge there was a opening in the trees with some Wilson’s Warblers feeding. Only of note because I have been watching for them and finally can add them to my photo list.

Link to the photo on Flickr. https://flic.kr/p/2kQWG9e <https://flic.kr/p/2kQWG9e>

Date: 4/3/21 7:03 pm
From: Melani King <melani...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Bird activity at Tilden and a PSA
Today I spent quite a bit of time at Tilden around Jewel Lake and the nature area. Wilson's Warblers were abundant and vocal. Orange-crowned Warblers were heard more than seen but the bonus was that one was showing its orange crown!

And here is a public service announcement/reminder to stay on the trails and paths during nesting season. I was reminded of this while watching a Dark-eyed Junco collecting nesting material and disappearing repeatedly into a low vegetation area less than a foot off the trail. I would never have known that a nest was there!

eBird report here:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S84706711

Melani King
Pt. Richmond

Back to top
Date: 4/3/21 6:11 pm
From: Jim Chiropolos <jnc...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Brionnes Drought
I biked Brionnes today and was shocked by the drought. Its early April and Sindrich lagoon, the best area to bird there, is a mudflat (only a 10 foot diameter puddle) - no birds there. Its early April, and portions of the hills are already getting brown. The drought was best shown by a desiccated dead newt found on the trail, probably looking to mate and a puddle in the spring - but no rain. Last year in a drought year, Sindrich had more water in September! In over 10 years of birding Brionnes, this is the least of amount if water - ever - on April 3!!! (Sindrich did completely dry last year around October- and I thought that was extreme).

Rain = bugs = birds
Rain = seeds = rodents = raptors

This year on all my bike transects, I am seeing 1/3 the raptors of most years. As Josiah Clark in SF says, the drought will have major adverse implications on bird populations. It is a very dynamic time of change, and we get to see it. We might get to see some rare birds as a result, but they will be wandering to find food and mate.

I also wonder if this will have effects on private bay area open space ranchers. Cattle need spring rains to raise their calfs, and cows will raise calfs in these drought conditions but Likely will be unable to bear calfs again. This will stress local ranchers as their herds are not self sustaining and their herds become mostly older cows. Will this increase the conversion of open space ranches to housing tracts?

Its tough conditions out there. It will be interesting to document the changes in bird populations.

Jim Chiropolos
Orinda

Back to top
Date: 4/3/21 5:14 pm
From: fgsafier <fgsafier...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Walnut Creek sightings

Date: 4/2/21 7:30 pm
From: Philip Georgakakos <pgeorgakakos3...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Sunol Trip report
Hi East Bay Birders,

Derek Heins, Alex Henry and I thoroughly enjoyed birding Sunol on this fine
early spring day. Migrant numbers were strong with clear skies, warm
temperatures, and little wind.

We started the day with some nocturnal birding at Welch Creek Rd. at 6am
and were rewarded with at least 4 pygmy owls, a couple of Great Horned
Owls, a Western-screech Owl, and a Common Poorwil. All were heard
vocalizing. We parked around (37.532049, -121.830474), and walked the road
for a while, where we heard all these birds as dawn broke. You can park on
Welch Creek rd on weekdays without a permit, and it's accessible
before 8am, when the main gate to the park opens. On the weekends you need
a permit to park there, which I think you obtain from the main entrance.
You can definitely get ticketed without this. Also, please don't use
playback on these sensitive species. It seems like a real owl hotspot,
let's keep it that way. This time of year they were vocalizing vigorously.

Welch Creek Rd. pre-dawn
https://ebird.org/checklist/S84597299
Welch Creek Rd. post-dawn
https://ebird.org/checklist/S84597236

After our Welch Creek start we hopped in cars and drove to the visitors
center. From there we walked up Alameda Creek, past little Yosemite to
McKorkle trail, which we followed back to the parking area.

Highlights included: Lawrence's Goldfinch, Prairie Falcon, Western
Kingbirds, Bullock's Orioles, Phainopepla Bald Eagle, Golden Eagles, 4
swallow species, and an almost certainly migratory Common Yellowthroat.

Sunol Valley and McCorkle Trail
https://ebird.org/checklist/S84636739

I parted ways with Derek and Alex at this point and decided to try and add
just a few more species to our list for the day. The park had filled up by
this point, so I drove back to Welch Creek Rd in an effort to escape the
crowds. From our same parking spot in the morning (37.532049, -121.830474)
I walked out to Flag Hill. I'd never approached Flag Hill from this
direction before, and the walk is way easier than from the visitors center
side. The deciduous oaks in the grasslands were really birdy, with plenty
of Western Kingbirds and Bullock's Orioles. I added Brewer's Blackbird,
Red-winged Blackbird and Lark Sparrow to our day list.

Welch Creek Rd. to Flag Hill
https://ebird.org/checklist/S84636771

In addition to the biggest bird list I've recorded in a day at Sunol, 72
species, there were good diversity and abundance of both wildflowers and
butterflies. Here's a few links to iNaturalist observations of the
non-birds, if you're into that stuff. Any ID help is always appreciated.

Woodland Star
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/72744018
California Golden Violet
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/72744008
Blue Dicks and colorful Skipper
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/72744396
Purple Owl's Clover
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/72744003
Indian Paintbrush
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/72743997
Larkspur
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/72743995
California Poppy
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/72743988
Bird's Eye Gilia
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/72743983

Hope yall can get out and enjoy spring, my favorite season in the East Bay.
Phil Georgakakos,
Oakland

Back to top
Date: 4/2/21 7:24 pm
From: Jackie Bobrosky <electricjmb...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] FOS Hooded Oriole in Martinez
Usually by mid-March a male Hooded Oriole will show up at my hummingbird feeders, finally today April 2 I heard, then saw! Blinked and poof he was gone. I hear him this evening nearby so I expect regular visits for a few months. Wonderful! Also a male Rufous hummingbird has been fighting off the resident Anna's........great birding in my backyard.

Jackie Bobrosky
Downtown Martinez.

Back to top
Date: 4/2/21 3:38 pm
From: Elegans via groups.io <Elegans...>
Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] Mass Bird Die-Off Linked to Wildfires and Toxic Gases

Thanks for this. In my area, El Cerrito, after both last summer's dreadful fire and smoke and the one two amers before that, the mlm population of Anna's hummingbirds plummeted. In winters before that I'd be feeding dozens if not maybe a hundred al winter long. The winters after the fires, a mere handful.
George McRae
On Friday, April 2, 2021 Edward Vine <elvine...> wrote:

Using observations from crowdsourced science and weather location data, researchers concluded that wildfires caused a mass die-off of birds in the western and central United States in 2020.
Click here
Ed

--
Ed Vine

Back to top
Date: 4/2/21 2:50 pm
From: Edward Vine <elvine...>
Using observations from crowdsourced science and weather location data,
researchers concluded that wildfires caused a mass die-off of birds in the
western and central United States in 2020.
Click here
<https://eos.org/research-spotlights/mass-bird-die-off-linked-to-wildfires-and-toxic-gases>

Ed

--
Ed Vine

Back to top
Date: 4/1/21 10:54 am
From: Jerry Britten <jeraldabritten...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Pine Siskins today, Snowy Plovers yesterday
This morning there are seemingly hundreds of Pine Siskins in the
newly-leafed oaks around my house. The noise they are making is quite
impressive. Also, red-tailed hawks are nesting on our property this year,
for the first time I know about. This means the red-shouldered hawks that
usually nest are probably not going to be tolerated.

Yesterday 3/31 I saw 2 snowy plovers at Clifton Court Forebay. As
originally reported to eBird by Srikant Char, who saw 1 on 3/30, they were
near the 7.5 mile marker not too far from the parking lot. Ebird checklist
with some photos here: https://ebird.org/checklist/S84492171

Jerry Britten
Morgan Territory

Back to top
Date: 3/31/21 6:10 pm
From: Elegans via groups.io <Elegans...>
Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] FOS Hooded Oriole

How wonderful!
George McRae
On Wednesday, March 31, 2021 Jane Chinn via groups.io <janechinn...> wrote:
FOS Hooded Oriole, male spotted in backyard swinging from hummingbird feeder.  Heard in trees.  Usually arrive first week of April.  Earliest sighting I have in my backyard journal is March 26, 2015.
Jane Chinn Hayward Hills

Back to top
Date: 3/31/21 5:22 pm
From: Jane Chinn via groups.io <janechinn...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] FOS Hooded Oriole

Date: 3/30/21 10:04 pm
From: Claude Lyneis <cmlyneis...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Large number of Avocets, Marbled Godwits and some Long-billed Curlew at Pt. Isabel
About two hours after high tide this afternoon just south of Stege Marsh there was a large group of American Avocets and Marbled Godwits, at least 50 of each. A smaller number of Long-billed Curlew were mixed in with the Godwits.

Link to the photos https://flic.kr/p/2kQffQm <https://flic.kr/p/2kQffQm>

Date: 3/29/21 3:02 pm
From: Kitty O'Neil via groups.io <kittoi...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Shoot The Rainbow - April 10 Bird Photo Big Day!
Posting with permission of group moderator. (Thanks Aaron!)
East Bay Birders,The Bird Photo Big Day is coming up April 10. This Spring it is all about the Colors! Let’s join in the fun of photographing as many species as possible on April 10th for the second annual Spring Bird Photo Big Day in support of the San Francisco Bay Bird Observatory (SFBBO).

While the species count is our top priority, the Photo Day really heats up to red hot with our color competition to Shoot The Rainbow! The best representation of a color will win the prize in each category: Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, and Blue. Background color, bird color, tree color, or person’s hat! Get creative. The color just needs to be somewhere in the photo and so does the bird. Bonus contest for the most colors all in one shot, plus the bird of course!

See the details on the Facebook page or the registration page.

Facebook group: Bay Area Bird Photo Big Day on Facebook
Registration page: Bird Photo Big Day 2021

Please feel free to email us if you have any questions.

Thanks!
Kitty O'Neil & Bill Pelletier
<kittoi...>

Back to top
Date: 3/29/21 1:21 pm
From: Ethan Monk <z.querula...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Richmond Today (3/29)
This afternoon about 1230 off Landfill Loop in Richmond, there is one each of Glaucous and Lesser Black-backed Gulls. The Black backed might be the bird from earlier in the winter, although it hasn’t been seen since Christmas time despite plenty of looking in the interim. This morning about 630am off Canal Blvd. both male Black Scoters continued, but a couple hours later only one was present. 25 or so Brant are still hanging out behind the jetty, and the California Gulls are back en masse on Brooks Island, presumably preventing the nesting of any Caspian Terns for another summer. And for you Alameda folks, a Cassins Kingbird was away from known locations yesterday evening on Patterson Pass rd., at the residence with the large Eucalyptus. This is East of Cross Rd., and East of where the road becomes one lane.

Ethan Monk

Back to top
Date: 3/27/21 9:12 pm
From: Christine <cra...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Bald Eagle 3/26/21
I haven’t posted in a very long time, but I have a reason to once again. Yesterday (3/26/21) at 4:58, I saw, and I have a video, of a Bald Eagle riding the thermals with a few Turkey Vultures over my home in Concord. The thermal wave took it toward Mt. Diablo. It was amazing, and such a fortunate “catch”!

Back to top
Date: 3/27/21 12:33 pm
From: rosita94598 via groups.io <rosita94598...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] nesting in Walnut Creek
Well, we were hoping the Chickadees would use our patio nest box, but when they have taken my hair from the green mesh avocado bag, they leave the patio toward the street. Time will tell.

For the fourth day in Heather Farm Park, a male Downy Woodpecker has been excavating a nest hole on the west side of the large, mostly natural pond.  I arrived before 8 AM today and did not see him.  I thought maybe it was because of some kind of woodpecker union work rules, but he had another union in mind.  While watching sparrows grab seeds I threw, I turned around just in time to see the female Downy arrive and then he copulated with her.  Usually this type of thing is fairly quick, but after a moment, he dropped his left wing alongside her body; possibly his right, too, but I could not see.  Anthropomorphically, it seemed to be a bit of post connubial bliss cuddling.  In a couple of minutes he was at work on the nest hole.  I was told by a friend that he had seen the female working, too.
Another birding friend told me about a Bushtit nest, and sure enough I found it this morning.  It is a bit of a poor site selection, being in a bush around which many members of the general public walk--not a lot of privacy.  I wonder if it will be successful.
And the first Canada Goose goslings were seen at the concrete pond, seven of them with bright yellow feathers.  They attracted a number of walkers with cell phones.
Hugh B. HarveyWalnut Creek

Back to top
Date: 3/25/21 8:00 pm
From: Pam Young via groups.io <pamyoung2...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Rufous Hummingbird on Curran Trail in Tilden Park
Male Rufous Hummingbird fed from a flowering currant Ribes shrub and then perched on a Bay Laurel at Curran Trail in Tilden Park this afternoon.

Good birding,
Pam Young
Berkeley

Back to top
Date: 3/22/21 8:27 pm
From: Hilary Powers <hilary...>
Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] Unidentified duck at San Lorenzo Creek/Reservoir
On 3/21/2021 10:07 PM, Lawrence Danos wrote:
> Hi,
> Two of us were birding Saturday along San Lorenzo Creek near where it enters SF Bay (lower San Lorenzo Creek). Today (Sunday) we were at Don Castro Reservoir (upper San Lorenzo Creek} In both places we noticed several pairs of mallards but there was one pair, a male mallard and a black duck with white breast were paired together. In both cases they were hanging out together with the other mallard pairs and swimming together as is usual in the Spring. I couldn't get close enough to get a picture but am wondering if anyone else saw these two and what is the black & white duck? It's about the same size as a mallard and completely black except for the white breast.

Basically, if it looks like a mallard and associates with mallards, it's
a mallard. The situation is rather like what we have with dogs - very
very occasionally you do see a real inter-species cross, but mostly you
get the results of millennia of domestication. The vast bulk of the
world's domestic-duck population is based on mallard stock, and every
drake regards every duck as a possible mate regardless of distance from
the wild (or lack thereof) - and the ducks mostly agree, though they'd
rather avoid the young hoodlums.

Ducks do form true hybrids - like the Barrow's Goldeneye x Hooded
Merganser we had at Lake Merritt for a few years
(https://live-fts.flickr.com/groups/444365@N25/discuss/72157603621810418/)
- but among mallards what you get are mostly just crosses: the cockapoos
of the bird world rather than the wolf dogs.

~ Hilary Powers - <Hilary...> - Oakland CA ~
~ www.salamanderfeltworks.com; www.Etsy.com/shop/SalamanderFeltworks ~
~ Now a member of the the Oakland Cottage Industry Collective! ~
~ Needle Felted Sculpture - Real and Fantasy Creatures ~

Back to top
Date: 3/22/21 12:36 pm
From: Bill Bousman <barlowi...>
Google "bibbed mallard images."  Bibbed mallards are a fairly common
mallard variant in the South Bay.

Bill Bousman
Menlo Park

Date: 3/22/21 10:27 am
From: Melani King <melani...>
Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] Pt. Richmond - Hermit Thrush and Golden-crowned Kinglet
Thanks all for the feedback about nesting Hermit Thrushes in the Bay Area. Good to know. After more consideration I agree with Dominik that this is not a recently fledged bird. It is just way too early for that to be feasible and am just going to accept that this bird is an anomaly.

-Melani King

> On Mar 21, 2021, at 9:38 PM, mbstern2 via groups.io <mbstern2...> wrote:
>
> Hi Melani and Lawrence,
>
> I just checked the Mt. Diablo Breeding Bird Atlas of the late 1990's for Hermit Thrush. There is one report of breeding in a small section of Redwood Regional Park, but only a single sighting of a nesting Hermit Thrush at that time.
> At my home in Lafayette along the Las Trampas Creek we have had several Hermit Thrushes hanging about for the winter, which is typical, but have never had a nesting pair.
>
> I hope this is of some use to you.
>
> Maury Stern
>
> On Sunday, March 21, 2021, 2:45:17 PM PDT, Lawrence DiCostanzo <lawrence.dicostanzo...> wrote:
>

> Hi, Melani. I live in Albany, and this week I saw a hermit thrush in my backyard. This is the first sighting I’ve had of a thrush in a really really long time. I wonder if the fact that I took down the birdfeeder because of the salmonella epidemic, means that other kinds of birds besides finches, etc. don’t feel as “crowded” in the garden.
>
> Lawrence
>
> > On Mar 21, 2021, at 1:52 PM, Melani King <melani...> <mailto:<melani...>> wrote:
> >
> > Today while birding my neighborhood I photographed a Hermit Thrush. Nothing unusual until I got home and downloaded the photo. It just looked off to me to be an adult. A gape is still visible and the plumage on the back is fluffy and the tail feathers look like they're still growing in. Do Hermit Thrushes nest in Contra Costa? I thought no. And wouldn't it be too early for this to happen if they did? I'd appreciate any feedback. Photos in my eBird report here: https://ebird.org/checklist/S83836191 <https://ebird.org/checklist/S83836191>
> >
> > Also of interest was a Golden-crowned Kinglet working a Monterey Pine. I was alerted to it by its very high-pitched vocalization. This was a first for me in my neighborhood!
> >
> > -Melani King
> > Pt. Richmond

Back to top
Date: 3/22/21 10:17 am
From: Rosemary Johnson <compasros...>
First spotted a hermit thrush on the adjacent hillside a couple winter ago. I was thrilled by this sighting, Last winter, a few more sightings. This winter, I see the bird almost every day. I'm very pleased that it has decided that this hill is its winter home.

Rosemary Johnson
Hercules

> On 03/21/2021 9:38 PM mbstern2 via groups.io <mbstern2...> wrote:
>

> Hi Melani and Lawrence,
>
> I just checked the Mt. Diablo Breeding Bird Atlas of the late 1990's for Hermit Thrush. There is one report of breeding in a small section of Redwood Regional Park, but only a single sighting of a nesting Hermit Thrush at that time.
> At my home in Lafayette along the Las Trampas Creek we have had several Hermit Thrushes hanging about for the winter, which is typical, but have never had a nesting pair.
>
> I hope this is of some use to you.
>
> Maury Stern
>
> On Sunday, March 21, 2021, 2:45:17 PM PDT, Lawrence DiCostanzo <lawrence.dicostanzo...> wrote:
>

> Hi, Melani. I live in Albany, and this week I saw a hermit thrush in my backyard. This is the first sighting I’ve had of a thrush in a really really long time. I wonder if the fact that I took down the birdfeeder because of the salmonella epidemic, means that other kinds of birds besides finches, etc. don’t feel as “crowded” in the garden.
>
> Lawrence
>
> > On Mar 21, 2021, at 1:52 PM, Melani King < <melani...> mailto:<melani...> > wrote:
> >
> > Today while birding my neighborhood I photographed a Hermit Thrush. Nothing unusual until I got home and downloaded the photo. It just looked off to me to be an adult. A gape is still visible and the plumage on the back is fluffy and the tail feathers look like they're still growing in. Do Hermit Thrushes nest in Contra Costa? I thought no. And wouldn't it be too early for this to happen if they did? I'd appreciate any feedback. Photos in my eBird report here: https://ebird.org/checklist/S83836191
> >
> > Also of interest was a Golden-crowned Kinglet working a Monterey Pine. I was alerted to it by its very high-pitched vocalization. This was a first for me in my neighborhood!
> >
> > -Melani King
> > Pt. Richmond

Back to top
Date: 3/22/21 8:52 am
From: Susana dT <trapaga...>
Hi Lawrence:
I think I have a photo of a duck that fits your description. I saw it at Lagoon Valley/Pena Adobe Regional Park in Solano County this weekend. I made an album on Flikr with photos of what I think are hybrid ducks. Link here
https://www.flickr.com/photos/166553264@N04/albums/72157718745162263
I believe they are Mallard hybrids, you can see the curled upper tail feathers in some of them.
I hope this helps
Susana

Back to top
Date: 3/21/21 10:26 pm
From: Lawrence DiCostanzo <Lawrence.DiCostanzo...>
Thank you very much, Maurey. Seeing the hermit thrush in Albany and in my
backyard was quite a pleasure. There is a creek near us, somewhat
"urbanized", but it does have a number of free-flowing sections with
underbrush, trees, etc. Before some houses were built near it in the late
70s, it was quite a place for bird life. It is possible that the thrush
flew over from there. This thrush was a classic beauty in color and with a
breast with great spots. Lovely.
Lawrence

On Sun, Mar 21, 2021 at 9:38 PM <mbstern2...> <mbstern2...>
wrote:

> Hi Melani and Lawrence,
>
> I just checked the Mt. Diablo Breeding Bird Atlas of the late 1990's for
> Hermit Thrush. There is one report of breeding in a small section of
> Redwood Regional Park, but only a single sighting of a nesting Hermit
> Thrush at that time.
> At my home in Lafayette along the Las Trampas Creek we have had
> several Hermit Thrushes hanging about for the winter, which is typical, but
> have never had a nesting pair.
>
> I hope this is of some use to you.
>
> Maury Stern
>
> On Sunday, March 21, 2021, 2:45:17 PM PDT, Lawrence DiCostanzo <
> <lawrence.dicostanzo...> wrote:
>

> Hi, Melani. I live in Albany, and this week I saw a hermit thrush in my
> backyard. This is the first sighting I’ve had of a thrush in a really
> really long time. I wonder if the fact that I took down the birdfeeder
> because of the salmonella epidemic, means that other kinds of birds besides
> finches, etc. don’t feel as “crowded” in the garden.
>
> Lawrence
>
> > On Mar 21, 2021, at 1:52 PM, Melani King <melani...> wrote:
> >
> > Today while birding my neighborhood I photographed a Hermit Thrush.
> Nothing unusual until I got home and downloaded the photo. It just looked
> off to me to be an adult. A gape is still visible and the plumage on the
> back is fluffy and the tail feathers look like they're still growing in. Do
> Hermit Thrushes nest in Contra Costa? I thought no. And wouldn't it be too
> early for this to happen if they did? I'd appreciate any feedback. Photos
> in my eBird report here: https://ebird.org/checklist/S83836191
> >
> > Also of interest was a Golden-crowned Kinglet working a Monterey Pine. I
> was alerted to it by its very high-pitched vocalization. This was a first
> for me in my neighborhood!
> >
> > -Melani King
> > Pt. Richmond

Back to top
Date: 3/21/21 10:07 pm
From: Lawrence Danos <ldanos...>

Date: 3/21/21 9:38 pm
From: mbstern2 via groups.io <mbstern2...>
Hi Melani and Lawrence,
I just checked the Mt. Diablo Breeding Bird Atlas of the late 1990's for Hermit Thrush. There is one report of breeding in a small section of Redwood Regional Park, but only a single sighting of a nesting Hermit Thrush at  that time.
    At my home in Lafayette along the Las Trampas Creek we have had several Hermit Thrushes hanging about for the winter, which is typical, but have never had a nesting pair.
I hope this is of some use to you.
Maury Stern

On Sunday, March 21, 2021, 2:45:17 PM PDT, Lawrence DiCostanzo <lawrence.dicostanzo...> wrote:

Hi, Melani. I live in Albany, and this week I saw a hermit thrush in my backyard. This is the first sighting I’ve had of a thrush in a really really long time. I wonder if the fact that I took down the birdfeeder because of the salmonella epidemic, means that other kinds of birds besides finches, etc.  don’t feel as “crowded” in the garden.

Lawrence

> On Mar 21, 2021, at 1:52 PM, Melani King <melani...> wrote:
>
> Today while birding my neighborhood I photographed a Hermit Thrush. Nothing unusual until I got home and downloaded the photo. It just looked off to me to be an adult. A gape is still visible and the plumage on the back is fluffy and the tail feathers look like they're still growing in. Do Hermit Thrushes nest in Contra Costa? I thought no. And wouldn't it be too early for this to happen if they did? I'd appreciate any feedback. Photos in my eBird report here: https://ebird.org/checklist/S83836191
>
> Also of interest was a Golden-crowned Kinglet working a Monterey Pine. I was alerted to it by its very high-pitched vocalization. This was a first for me in my neighborhood!
>
> -Melani King
> Pt. Richmond

Back to top
Date: 3/21/21 7:09 pm
From: Debra g via groups.io <dgolata...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] When to put feeders back?
Any word as to when feeders can go back up?  Thanks.

Back to top
Date: 3/21/21 5:55 pm
From: Connor Cochrane via groups.io <connorscochrane...>
Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] Early Spring Migrants at Muir Beach
Sorry, I meant to send this to NBB.

Connor Cochrane

> On Mar 21, 2021, at 5:40 PM, Connor Cochrane via groups.io <connorscochrane...> wrote:
>
> https://groups.io/g/EBB-Sightings/message/14317 <https://groups.io/g/EBB-Sightings/message/14317>

Back to top
Date: 3/21/21 5:40 pm
From: Connor Cochrane via groups.io <connorscochrane...>
Hi All,
Today Lucas Corneliussen and I did a long walk from Muir Beach over to Mill Valley. Along the way, we found some early spring migrants and some other interesting birds. Throughout the day, we tallied close to 15 Wilson's Warbler, all along redwood creek between Muir Beach and Muir Woods. All except one were singing males. Photos and audio of these are visible on our checklist from Muir Beach. We also had two Pac-slopes, one along the lower part of muir beach, and one on the first part of the Dipsea trail, heading towards Mill Valley from Muir Woods, in the conifers. Lastly, to cap of the migrants, we had a single Warbling Vireo singing and scolding along Redwood Creek. Other birds of interest included Brown-headed Cowbird, which is pretty early, and a single Short-billed Dowitcher that flew by, and quickly stopped on the beach as it makes its journey north.

Happy Birding,
Connor Cochrane

Back to top
Date: 3/21/21 4:09 pm
From: Dominik Mosur <dominikmosur...>
Hey all , hermit thrushes DO nest in the Bay Area, at higher elevations in the Santa Cruz mountains, mount tam etc but this isn’t until summer. This bird has some ruffled feathers and the high resolution reveals good detail on the bill but I don’t think this looks like a recently fledged bird.
Dominik
> On Mar 21, 2021, at 15:58, Marianna Ford <Mford0121...> wrote:
>
> I live close to downtown Walnut Creek and have seen several Hermit Thrush in my yard and neighborhood for the first time. Another neighbor posted pictures of baby hummers she has in her yard now. I was surprised they were nesting so early.
>
> Marianna
>> On Mar 21, 2021, at 2:45 PM, Lawrence DiCostanzo <Lawrence.DiCostanzo...> wrote:
>>
>> Hi, Melani. I live in Albany, and this week I saw a hermit thrush in my backyard. This is the first sighting I’ve had of a thrush in a really really long time. I wonder if the fact that I took down the birdfeeder because of the salmonella epidemic, means that other kinds of birds besides finches, etc. don’t feel as “crowded” in the garden.
>>
>> Lawrence

>>> Today while birding my neighborhood I photographed a Hermit Thrush. Nothing unusual until I got home and downloaded the photo. It just looked off to me to be an adult. A gape is still visible and the plumage on the back is fluffy and the tail feathers look like they're still growing in. Do Hermit Thrushes nest in Contra Costa? I thought no. And wouldn't it be too early for this to happen if they did? I'd appreciate any feedback. Photos in my eBird report here: https://ebird.org/checklist/S83836191
>>>
>>> Also of interest was a Golden-crowned Kinglet working a Monterey Pine. I was alerted to it by its very high-pitched vocalization. This was a first for me in my neighborhood!
>>>
>>> -Melani King
>>> Pt. Richmond

Back to top
Date: 3/21/21 3:58 pm
From: Marianna Ford <Mford0121...>
I live close to downtown Walnut Creek and have seen several Hermit Thrush in my yard and neighborhood for the first time. Another neighbor posted pictures of baby hummers she has in her yard now. I was surprised they were nesting so early.

Marianna
> On Mar 21, 2021, at 2:45 PM, Lawrence DiCostanzo <Lawrence.DiCostanzo...> wrote:
>
> Hi, Melani. I live in Albany, and this week I saw a hermit thrush in my backyard. This is the first sighting I’ve had of a thrush in a really really long time. I wonder if the fact that I took down the birdfeeder because of the salmonella epidemic, means that other kinds of birds besides finches, etc. don’t feel as “crowded” in the garden.
>
> Lawrence
>
>> On Mar 21, 2021, at 1:52 PM, Melani King <melani...> wrote:
>>
>> Today while birding my neighborhood I photographed a Hermit Thrush. Nothing unusual until I got home and downloaded the photo. It just looked off to me to be an adult. A gape is still visible and the plumage on the back is fluffy and the tail feathers look like they're still growing in. Do Hermit Thrushes nest in Contra Costa? I thought no. And wouldn't it be too early for this to happen if they did? I'd appreciate any feedback. Photos in my eBird report here: https://ebird.org/checklist/S83836191
>>
>> Also of interest was a Golden-crowned Kinglet working a Monterey Pine. I was alerted to it by its very high-pitched vocalization. This was a first for me in my neighborhood!
>>
>> -Melani King
>> Pt. Richmond

Back to top
Date: 3/21/21 2:45 pm
From: Lawrence DiCostanzo <Lawrence.DiCostanzo...>
Hi, Melani. I live in Albany, and this week I saw a hermit thrush in my backyard. This is the first sighting I’ve had of a thrush in a really really long time. I wonder if the fact that I took down the birdfeeder because of the salmonella epidemic, means that other kinds of birds besides finches, etc. don’t feel as “crowded” in the garden.

Lawrence

> On Mar 21, 2021, at 1:52 PM, Melani King <melani...> wrote:
>
> Today while birding my neighborhood I photographed a Hermit Thrush. Nothing unusual until I got home and downloaded the photo. It just looked off to me to be an adult. A gape is still visible and the plumage on the back is fluffy and the tail feathers look like they're still growing in. Do Hermit Thrushes nest in Contra Costa? I thought no. And wouldn't it be too early for this to happen if they did? I'd appreciate any feedback. Photos in my eBird report here: https://ebird.org/checklist/S83836191
>
> Also of interest was a Golden-crowned Kinglet working a Monterey Pine. I was alerted to it by its very high-pitched vocalization. This was a first for me in my neighborhood!
>
> -Melani King
> Pt. Richmond

Back to top

Date: 3/21/21 1:52 pm
From: rosita94598 via groups.io <rosita94598...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Possible Chickadee nesting in Walnut Creek yard
Our Chestnut-backed Chickadees nested seven times in our small patio north of Heather Farm Park, but the last time was 2016.  This week they have been in the patio constantly, making Chickadee noises and going inside the nest box.  We are hoping it finally happens again.
Hugh B. HarveyWalnut creek

Back to top
Date: 3/18/21 7:12 pm
From: Sheila Dickie via groups.io <falconmae...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Merlin and Waxwings

Back to top
Date: 3/18/21 1:17 pm
From: rosita94598 via groups.io <rosita94598...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Heather Farm in Walnut Creek
The winter is coming to a halt in my local park, with maybe less than ten Ring-necked Ducks, now.  Today I only saw one female Bufflehead.  Even the Double-crested Cormorants are down to a handful.

The sparrows are still plentiful, but it is mostly White-crowneds, with only some Golden-crowned Sparrows mixed in.  They, though, are showing really snappy gold and black on their heads.  Today I found two Lincoln's Sparrows and one Fox, so the winter is not over quite yet.
The remaining male Yellow-rumped Warblers are starting to show the black on their sides, but not yet around the front of their breasts.  Yesterday there were three or four singing Ruby-crowned Kinglets, too.

The gull flocks are also thin.  This morning I had nine Ring-billed Gulls and three Mew Gulls on the smaller middle athletic field.  And while I did see the five Cackling Geese earlier this week, the large flocks of Canada Geese have mostly disappeared.

Tuesday we had a Red-shouldered Hawk fly across the pond in front of us, carrying breakfast.  That was pretty exciting; well, not for the small mammal.
Even the Flickers have not been around lately, which happens around here every spring.

But today while riding my bike home, I saw a Merlin on top of a bare pine above our HOA swimming pool.  I have only seen it twice this winter, so that was really nice.
Hugh B. HarveyWalnut Creek

Back to top
Date: 3/17/21 9:20 pm
From: Johan Langewis <jlangewis...>
Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] Red-breasted or Common Merganser at Lake Anza
Common Merganser. Note the white chin.

Johan Langewis
Oakland
> On Mar 17, 2021, at 8:41 PM, Claude Lyneis <cmlyneis...> wrote:
>
> At Lake Anza this afternoon I thought it was a Red-breasted Merganser, but the more I look at it, I am leaning toward a Common Merganser. The iBird photos don’t make it clear.
>
> Here is the link. https://flic.kr/p/2kLWZoM
>
> If there is a defining difference, let me know.
>

> Claude Lyneis
> <cmlyneis...>
> https://www.youtube.com/bhsvideodad
> https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/lyneisfilm
> http://vimeo.com/user1972855
> LYNEISFILM.com

Back to top
Date: 3/17/21 8:41 pm
From: Claude Lyneis <cmlyneis...>

Here is the link. https://flic.kr/p/2kLWZoM <https://flic.kr/p/2kLWZoM>

Date: 3/17/21 4:31 pm
From: Sharon Jue <sljue1...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] JJ Sutter shoreline
A dozen or so Brant northeast of observation deck, likely scopeable from
Emeryville marina, three common loons, one in breeding plumage, lots of
aechmophorus grebes towards middle harbor, cormorants carrying nesting
material westward, peregrine picking pigeons out of the bay bridge, and
*porpoises*?!?

This park only opened a few months ago, so hasn't received extensive birder
coverage yet. Seems to be some good fishing and crabbing, though.

-sharon jue
Berkeley

Sent from my mobile - please excuse nonstandard typography.

Back to top
Date: 3/16/21 5:51 pm
From: Alok Singhal <gandalf013...>
Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] Osprey catches a leopard shark
Wow, these are beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

-Alok

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 3:59 PM <Elihsdavey...> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Was out at Pt. Isabel this morning and had a front row seat to watch the two Pt. Richmond Ospreys nabbing a leopard shark. See the link for photos.
>
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/192510717@N07/albums/72157718670686616/with/51043720193/
>
> Happy birding,
>
> Eli

Back to top

Date: 3/15/21 1:00 pm
From: Edgar Molina via groups.io <edgarmolina...>
Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] Peregrine Falcon #SIPBIP
+1 Cooper’s hawk

Best,

Edgar Molina

> On Mar 15, 2021, at 12:53 PM, Charlie Wells <cwells2073...> wrote:
>

> I think that's a coopers hawk
>
>> On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 12:49 PM <tomcrown1...> wrote:
>> In my backyard I saw a peregrine falcon eating a pigeon link to picture
>> https://flic.kr/p/2kLhDAL

Back to top
Date: 3/15/21 12:53 pm
From: Charlie Wells <cwells2073...>
I think that's a coopers hawk

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 12:49 PM <tomcrown1...> wrote:

> In my backyard I saw a peregrine falcon eating a pigeon link to picture
> https://flic.kr/p/2kLhDAL

Back to top
Date: 3/15/21 12:49 pm
From: <tomcrown1...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Peregrine Falcon #SIPBIP

Date: 3/12/21 6:10 pm
From: Claude Lyneis <cmlyneis...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Merlin at Arrowhead
March 12, 2021 at Arrowhead Marsh I photographed a Merlin for the first time. Also saw a Ridgeway’s Rail, a funny marked House Finch and a Marsh Wren.

Photos at https://flic.kr/p/2kKkmbN <https://flic.kr/p/2kKkmbN>

Date: 3/12/21 4:47 pm
From: Lee Friedman <lfried6...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Yellow-bellied and Red-breasted Sapsuckers at Lake Anza
I am reasonably sure that the same Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (young male) first reported at Lake Anza in January continues there as of today. It looks almost exactly identical, except that from the front there is some red now visible in its crown. Today it was very close to the beach entry gates on the lake side of the trail that goes down to the bridge over the spillway. When I saw it in January it was about about 100 feet closer to the spillway bridge, still on the lake side of the trail.
There was also a Red-breasted Sapsucker foraging just on the far side of the spillway bridge.
The pair of Common Mergansers were still on the lake, and Tree Swallows also graced us with their presence.
Yellow-bellied photo: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99583878@N06/51030706832/in/dateposted-public/
Red-breasted photo: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99583878@N06/51030605556/in/dateposted-public/

Complete list: https://ebird.org/checklist/S83275995

Good birding,
Lee Friedman

Back to top
Date: 3/12/21 3:51 pm
From: Alexander Henry <awhenry...>
Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] Western Kingbird - Antioch outskirts - 3/11
Be sure to check any Kingbirds you see carefully! There's lots of the rarer
Cassin's Kingbird around, maybe one will make it to Contra Costa this
spring. Western Kingbirds are just starting to show up.

Check for the white tip of the tail which is a diagnostic field mark for
Cassin's, the easiest way to identify them is the vocalizations though.

Alex Henry
Berkeley

On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 at 3:35 PM Paul Schorr <pkschorr...> wrote:

> This afternoon during a drive on Deer Valley Rd. south of Chadbourne Rd.,
> Nancy and I spotted a FOS Western Kingbird on a fence along the road. We
> were able to stop and watch it long enough to see it hawking insects. Nice
> to see them returning.
>
> Happy birding.
>
> Paul Schorr
> Antioch