EBB-Sightings
Received From Subject
10/20/24 6:18 pm Michael Park via groups.io <dpbot...> [EBB-Sightings] Vollmer Peak Cassin's Finch 10/19
10/20/24 6:06 pm Michael Park via groups.io <dpbot...> [EBB-Sightings] Vollmer Peak Cassin's Finch 10/19
10/19/24 11:04 am Ethan Monk via groups.io <z.querula...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Cassin’s Finch
10/19/24 8:54 am Ethan Monk via groups.io <z.querula...> [EBB-Sightings] Cassin’s Finch
10/18/24 8:42 pm Ethan Monk via groups.io <z.querula...> [EBB-Sightings] Pt. San Pablo/Molate flight today
10/18/24 6:56 pm JENNIFER FURY via groups.io <jennyfuzzy...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Save the date, Richmond CBC on Sunday, December 29
10/17/24 6:16 pm Derek via groups.io <dlheins...> [EBB-Sightings] Save the date, Richmond CBC on Sunday, December 29
10/15/24 4:15 pm Claude Lyneis via groups.io <cmlyneis...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Sora continuing at Jewel Lake
10/15/24 2:33 pm Lee Friedman via groups.io <lfried6...> [EBB-Sightings] Sora continuing at Jewel Lake
10/15/24 11:14 am Lee Friedman via groups.io <lfried6...> [EBB-Sightings] Sora continuing at Jewel Lake
10/13/24 4:34 pm Zac Denning via groups.io <zdenning1...> [EBB-Sightings] Movement of Golden-crowned Kinglets
10/5/24 11:45 am Alan Krakauer via groups.io <Alan.krakauer...> [EBB-Sightings] Flycatcher ID Help
10/4/24 7:43 pm Peter Pyle via groups.io <ppyle...> [EBB-Sightings] Update on November pelagic trip planned from Noyo Harbor, Fort Bragg; 11/11 only
10/4/24 4:48 pm Ethan Monk via groups.io <z.querula...> [EBB-Sightings] Jewel Lake
10/4/24 4:28 pm Claude Lyneis via groups.io <cmlyneis...> [EBB-Sightings] Townsend's Warbler in the backyard
10/2/24 11:40 am Matt Tarlach via groups.io <mtar925...> [EBB-Sightings] Red-necked Grebe at McNabney
10/1/24 8:41 pm Zac Denning via groups.io <zdenning1...> [EBB-Sightings] Release of rescued Barn Owl from Albany Bulb
10/1/24 5:22 pm Melanie Barnett via groups.io <mjb2024...> Egrets, pipefish, & eelgrass at Alameda Point Re: [EBB-Sightings] strange stuff washed up (?) at Elsie Roemer
10/1/24 1:07 pm Dominik Mosur via groups.io <dominikmosur...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] strange stuff washed up (?) at Elsie Roemer
10/1/24 12:52 pm Ben Pearl via groups.io <slotiger2000...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] strange stuff washed up (?) at Elsie Roemer
10/1/24 12:39 pm Dominik Mosur via groups.io <dominikmosur...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] strange stuff washed up (?) at Elsie Roemer
10/1/24 12:32 pm Maureen Lahiff via groups.io <MLahiff...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] strange stuff washed up (?) at Elsie Roemer
10/1/24 12:14 pm Lorrie Klosterman via groups.io <loklosterman...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] strange stuff washed up (?) at Elsie Roemer
10/1/24 12:04 pm Sharon Jue via groups.io <sljue1...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] strange stuff washed up (?) at Elsie Roemer
10/1/24 11:55 am Edward Vine via groups.io <birdalot2...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] strange stuff washed up (?) at Elsie Roemer
10/1/24 11:49 am Maureen Lahiff via groups.io <MLahiff...> [EBB-Sightings] strange stuff washed up (?) at Elsie Roemer
9/30/24 9:07 pm Zac Denning via groups.io <zdenning1...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Possible Dusky Flycatcher in Berkeley Botanical Garden
9/30/24 8:10 pm judisierra via groups.io <judisierra...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Possible Dusky Flycatcher in Berkeley Botanical Garden
9/30/24 8:03 pm Sharon Jue via groups.io <sljue1...> [EBB-Sightings] Possible Dusky Flycatcher in Berkeley Botanical Garden
9/30/24 8:26 am Bruce Mast via groups.io <cathrasher4...> [EBB-Sightings] recent migrants
9/28/24 6:20 pm Claude Lyneis via groups.io <cmlyneis...> [EBB-Sightings] Double-crested Cormorant Molting
9/28/24 4:44 pm Bob Richmond via groups.io <bobrichmond94544...> [EBB-Sightings] Possible Northern Gannet
9/28/24 3:02 pm nat_weber via groups.io <natw976...> [EBB-Sightings] Swinhoe’s White eye Creekside park
9/28/24 7:59 am Alan Krakauer via groups.io <Alan.krakauer...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] House Finches and ebird -- two topics
9/27/24 9:49 pm ann callaway via groups.io <callaway.mix...> [EBB-Sightings] Sora at Jewel Lake in Tilden
9/27/24 9:03 pm Zac Denning via groups.io <zdenning1...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Local interest: Swinhoe’s White-eye at Creekside Park, Albany
9/27/24 4:43 pm David Yeamans via groups.io <davidralphyeamans...> [EBB-Sightings] House Finches and ebird -- two topics
9/27/24 4:11 pm Zac Denning via groups.io <zdenning1...> [EBB-Sightings] Local interest: Swinhoe’s White-eye at Creekside Park, Albany
9/27/24 12:49 pm Ethan Monk via groups.io <z.querula...> [EBB-Sightings] Clifton
9/25/24 1:34 pm Alvaro Jaramillo via groups.io <chucao...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Fw: Dove
9/25/24 12:40 pm RON & MARILYN MODAFFERI via groups.io <tahoemod...> [EBB-Sightings] Fw: Dove
9/25/24 6:22 am Sam Zuckerman via groups.io <samzuckerman...> Re: [EBB-Sightings] Coyote Hills: Lesser (?) Yellowlegs
9/24/24 4:52 pm Claude Lyneis via groups.io <cmlyneis...> [EBB-Sightings] Shorebirds returning to Stege Marsh/ Meeker Slough
9/22/24 2:17 pm Zac Denning via groups.io <zdenning1...> [EBB-Sightings] Migration / Sky Watch - Vollmer Peak

Back to top
Date: 10/20/24 6:18 pm
From: Michael Park via groups.io <dpbot...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Vollmer Peak Cassin's Finch 10/19
[Edited Message Follows]
[Reason: minor typos corrected and added flickr link, which had been malfunctioning and was not included in original post]

Responding to Ethan Monk's report of Cassin's Finch on Vollmer Peak, I was able to see one calling from the summit.

Upon returning to the parking lot, Ethan Monk, Emilie Strauss, and Derek Heins had been seeing them at closer range.

Photos are here:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S199699835

https://www.instagram.com/p/DBXdm1GSiEB/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

https://www.flickr.com/photos/74757345@N02/albums/72177720321367231

Michael Park
Berkeley

Back to top
Date: 10/20/24 6:06 pm
From: Michael Park via groups.io <dpbot...>
Responding to Ethan Monk's report of Cassin's Finch on Vollmer Peak, I was able to see one calling from the summit.

Upon returned to the parking lot, Ethan Monk, Emilie Strauss, and Derek Heins had been seeing them at closer range.

Date: 10/19/24 11:04 am
From: Ethan Monk via groups.io <z.querula...>
Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] Cassin’s Finch
For the past 30 minutes several Cassins Finch have been coming and going from the Vollmer Parking Lot.

Ethan

> On Oct 19, 2024, at 8:54 AM, Ethan Monk via groups.io <z.querula...> wrote:
>
> I don’t want to invoke the “c -able” word but I’ve now had four different encounters with Cassin’s Finch on Vollmer Peak this morning… including twice perched. Otherwise small movements of Yellow-rumps, Varied Thrush.
>
> Ethan Monk

Back to top
Date: 10/19/24 8:54 am
From: Ethan Monk via groups.io <z.querula...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Cassin’s Finch

Date: 10/18/24 8:42 pm
From: Ethan Monk via groups.io <z.querula...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Pt. San Pablo/Molate flight today
Given strong N/NE winds over night, I headed to Pt. Molate to see what
would fly over. I sat in one spot from 7:05-9:40, after which point the
flight died considerably. Below are some counts of note:
Wigeon-2
Band-t Pigeon: 50
Collared-Dove: 1
Turkey Vulture: 65
Sharp-shinned: 1
Bald Eagle: 1
Red-tailed Hawk: 3
Flicker: 28, 4 of these looking to be "intergrades"
Merlin: 1
Peregrine: 1
Say's: 1
G-c Kinglet: 3
Starling: 49
Varied Thrush: 3
Waxwing: 9
Pipit: 17
Purple Finch: 11
LAWRENCE'S GOLDFINCH: 1
White-throated Sparrow: 1
Savannah Sparrow: 16
Meadowlark: 322
R-w Blackbird: 56
R-w/Tricolored: 1
Brewer's Blackbird: 112
Blackbird sp. : 26
Yellow-rumped Warbler (no ssp. determined): 28
Myrtle Warbler: 2
Audubon's Warbler: 24

From my watch, I observed the "Seattle Harmony" head under the Richmond
Bridge and north into San Pablo Bay, being trailed by 12 Heermann's Gulls,
the most Heermann's I had ever seen in the East Bay... and then later in
the morning along the same route came the (much less imaginatively named)
"Petrochem Supplier" being trailed by about 40 Heermann's Gulls!

On a different note, Anna's Hummingbirds in the winter and spring make a
high pitched, descending "peer!" call while perched. The literature as far
as I can find calls this a juv. begging call. I don't think this is right,
but either way, I heard my first Anna's "peers" of the season this
afternoon at Meeker Slough.

Otherwise, some passerine migrants are hanging on, I had a smattering of
Yellow Warblers around today and one Warbling Vireo, on the late side now,
at Booker T. Anderson.

Ethan Monk

Back to top
Date: 10/18/24 6:56 pm
From: JENNIFER FURY via groups.io <jennyfuzzy...>
Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] Save the date, Richmond CBC on Sunday, December 29
oh, and a super helpful id chart, attached...Cheers,Jennifer FurySaltwater is the cure for everything,  sweat,  tears, or the sea...
-------- Original message --------From: "Derek via groups.io" <dlheins...> Date: 10/17/24 6:16 PM (GMT-08:00) To: East Bay Birds <EBB-Sightings...> Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Save the date, Richmond CBC on Sunday, December 29 Mark your calendar for Sunday, December 29 to join the fourth annual Richmond Christmas Bird Count.  Our first three years have established this count circle as one of the highest in the nation in both participants and species. And unofficially it scores high too on fun with the post-count dinner a big plus.   Stay tuned for further communication, especially later this month for registration instructions. We hope you can join us for both the count and the dinner. Please feel free to reach out with any questions you have.Derek Heins and BreeAnn <Croftsrichmondcbc...>

Back to top

Date: 10/15/24 4:15 pm
From: Claude Lyneis via groups.io <cmlyneis...>
Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] Sora continuing at Jewel Lake
Lee, very cool. I was there around noon today and didn’t see the Sora, but maybe it was just the wrong time. About a half mile farther north on the I did see a Red-shou Hawk on the tree branch to the west of the trail. Except for a Bewick’s Wren and a few Mallards it was very quiet today.

Claude

https://flic.kr/p/2qnUv54
Red-shouldered Hawk near Jewel Lake (1 of 1)
flic.kr

> On Oct 15, 2024, at 11:13 AM, Lee Friedman via groups.io <lfried6...> wrote:
>
> The remarkable Sora at Jewel Lake in Tilden continues as of yesterday. There were no sightings of this species at Jewel Lake for 46 years until Susan Weinstein’s September 1 sighting, and since that time about 16 birders have been fortunate enough to see it. It seems to hang out on the east bank, largely remaining out of sight hidden by overhanging branches. It occasionally ventures out to forage and swim, visible from the bench area on the west bank.
>
> I was prompted to look into this by Zac Denning’s excellent report on the Golden-crowned Kinglets that also mentioned the Sora. On the Kinglets, Birdcast <https://dashboard.birdcast.info/region/US-CA-013> reports the Golden-crowns as one of the 7 most active nocturnal migrants flying over Contra Costa County (and one of the 5 most active over Alameda County) at this time.
>
> Sora photo: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99583878@N06/54069702869/in/dateposted-public/
>
> Good birding all,
> Lee Friedman

Claude Lyneis
<cmlyneis...>
https://www.youtube.com/bhsvideodad
Flickr Photos at https://flic.kr/ps/36it5P

Back to top
Date: 10/15/24 2:33 pm
From: Lee Friedman via groups.io <lfried6...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Sora continuing at Jewel Lake
[Edited Message Follows]

The remarkable Sora at Jewel Lake in Tilden continues as of yesterday. There were no sightings (in eBird reports) of this species at Jewel Lake for 46 years until Susan Weinstein’s September 1 sighting, and since that time about 16 birders have been fortunate enough to see it. It seems to hang out on the east bank, largely remaining out of sight hidden by overhanging branches. It occasionally ventures out to forage and swim, visible from the bench area on the west bank.

Date: 10/13/24 4:34 pm
From: Zac Denning via groups.io <zdenning1...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Movement of Golden-crowned Kinglets
I've been encountering a lot of Golden-crowned Kinglets lately, including
in areas I don't usually expect them. This week, it seems like I've
encountered them pretty much everywhere I've been. After recent encounters,
I've also become more attuned to their typical high pitched double trill
call <https://xeno-canto.org/597956> and other calls. But I suspect there's
a heavy movement of these birds going on right now.

Over the last few weeks I'd encountered them at least 3 times at
expected spots in conifers at the North end of Jewel Lake and in trees
along the Vollmer Peak parking area with Jack Hayden.

Yesterday at the Albany Bulb, I first heard and saw 2 birds in the shrubs
on the north side of the dirt path that parallels the paved trail for a
short distance between the entrance to the owl preserve and the westernmost
viewing platform. This was a bulb first for me - and these birds were
obviously on the move.

An hour and a half later, after joining visiting birder Shawn Pfautsch, we
encountered several more along the shoreline at the tip of the bulb in low
shrubs along the rocky shore, about 400 feet south of the northwest corner
of the bulb. One of the kinglets even landed on the sand and rocks at the
bay's edge, where a sparrow flock was bathing - striking for a bird that
generally prefers the canopy of tall conifers.

Also notable at the Bulb: a singing Marsh Wren at 37.890181, -122.311943, a
White-tailed Kite flew by, and 2 Elegant Terns were roosting with Forster's
terns, gulls and shorebirds on the mudflats. 2 Northern Pintails were I
think my FOS and there was a male Eurasian Wigeon molting out of eclipse
plumage.

After leaving the bulb, Shawn and I visited Creekside Park, where we once
again encountered Golden-crowned Kinglets, this time along the steep
hillside below the end of Jackson St, accompanied by numerous
Ruby-crowneds, Townsend's Warblers, a Black-throated Gray Warbler, and many
Brown Creepers.

Yesterday afternoon, I went back to Jewel Lake for a sushi picnic with my
older teenager, and once again heard many Golden-crowneds. The elusive
Jewel Lake Sora also made an appearance, swimming out in open water with
the Mallards.

This morning, by now anticipating that Golden-crowneds might be moving in
numbers, I went to listen outside my house (I live in Albany - not far
from the Albany Library). Although I have a redwood tree in the backyard,
my neighborhood is otherwise far from ideal Golden-crowned Kinglet habitat.
After fifteen minutes, I was rewarded by a Golden-crowned call, and a bird
eventually perched on a wire 10 feet from me, while at least 2 other birds
called from adjacent yards (for yard bird #93!)

Around 11am today, I went up to Inspiration Point for a hike with my wife,
and encountered numerous Golden-crowneds and Ruby-crowneds. I estimated 12
GC and 15 RC at Inspiration point as well as along our 3.6 mile hike on the
Inspiration Trail (EBMUD land, permit required).

Ebird Checklists:
Jewel Lake (with GCKI photos): https://ebird.org/checklist/S197811471
Albany Bulb: https://ebird.org/checklist/S198562798
Creekside Park (ALA County): https://ebird.org/checklist/S198561285
Jewel Lake (Sora): https://ebird.org/checklist/S198615058
Inspiration Point / Inspiration Trail (EBMUD land, permit required):
https://ebird.org/checklist/S198785287

[image: image.png]

Happy birding everyone,

Zac Denning
Albany

Back to top
Date: 10/5/24 11:45 am
From: Alan Krakauer via groups.io <Alan.krakauer...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Flycatcher ID Help
I've uploaded a couple of bad photos of a flycatcher to this checklist from
Canyon Trail Park in El Cerrito earlier this week.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S197260128

The weak eye ring and white chin/flanks don't seem right to me for Western,
and the wing bars seem too bright for Willow.

Otherwise the most notable bird from the list was a Pacific Wren. It looks
like they are found here in the winter but this is my first time seeing one
here.

Thanks!
Alan Krakauer
Richmond, CA

Back to top
Date: 10/4/24 7:43 pm
From: Peter Pyle via groups.io <ppyle...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Update on November pelagic trip planned from Noyo Harbor, Fort Bragg; 11/11 only
Hi all -

The November pelagic trip announced below will be on Monday the 11th (a
holiday), not the 10th. The boat will not be available on the 10th after
all. Apologies for any confusion in making plans for that weekend.

Cheers, Peter

On 9/30/2024 2:51 PM, Peter Pyle wrote:
> Excuse the cross-posting:
>
> We have pelagic trips planned from Noyo Harbor for Monday October 7th
> and Sunday November 10th, with back-up date November 11th in case the
> 10th looks like or turns out to be a no-go due to weather. The 7th is
> currently scheduled for a half-day trip but if we get enough sign-ups
> we could make a full day out of it, and the November trip is a full
> day. The cost is $120 if half day and $175 for full day.
>
> We have had success finding deep-water species on half-day trips, as
> the head of Noyo Canyon is only 8 miles from the harbor and pelagic
> species such as Buller's Shearwaters, Hawaiian Petrels, and
> albatrosses seem to move up the canyon and occur even closer to shore
> than this. To wit, lately we have been seeing a lot of Pink-footed and
> Buller's from shore, and a Manx Shearwater was spotted on September
> 15th. There have also been tons (literally) of Humpback Whales visible
> from shore in the past week. Also, a Short-tailed Albatross was seen a
> couple of days ago in Mendocino waters from a reposition cruise.
>
> Early October is getting into the under-birded time of year for
> pelagic trips but may be the best time for Procellaria petrels, for
> those who like to dream. In November we'll be looking for Mottled
> Petrels, Parakeet Auklets, and who knows?
>
> If you'd like to join us, please email Chuck Vaughn at
> <cevaughn...> Hope to see you out there!
>
> Peter

Back to top
Date: 10/4/24 4:48 pm
From: Ethan Monk via groups.io <z.querula...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Jewel Lake
Today at Jewel Lake an adult male Am. Redstart was above the very far north end of the boardwalk. A singing Yellow-sounding Warbler high in the Eucalytus stand by the spillway (that was not the redstart!) was highly unusual for the date but I never saw the darn thing. Based on Jack Hayden’s report of a singing Chestnut-sided Warbler close by about a week ago, it seems quite possible that is what was singing.

Ethan Monk

Ethan

Back to top
Date: 10/4/24 4:28 pm
From: Claude Lyneis via groups.io <cmlyneis...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Townsend's Warbler in the backyard
I was tuning up my camera on our bird feeder in North Berkeley today and a Townsend’s Warbler dropped by. This is the third fall one has appeared, first in early Nov 22, then late October 23, and the one in the photo today (Oct 4) flashed by a couple of days ago. The black markings are not as dark as on a couple of Townsend’s I have seen in the wild recently, so I am thinking this is a female. Each year, the Warblers seems to appear along with some Lesser Goldfinch at our our feeder.
Photo on Flickr.
https://flic.kr/p/2qkwNBp
Townsend's Warbler Backyard
flic.kr

Date: 10/2/24 11:40 am
From: Matt Tarlach via groups.io <mtar925...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Red-necked Grebe at McNabney
Just had a Red-necked Grebe at McNabney Marsh (Waterbird Reg Preserve) in Martinez. 30 minutes ago it was within bino range of the southern viewing deck.

A juvenile, with some red on the neck, white chin and cheeks, and black-and-white face markings just like the juv picture in Sibley.

Lots of meadowlarks, shoveler, dowitcher also. 1 GWTE (female) and 1 AMWI.

--
----
Matt Tarlach

Back to top
Date: 10/1/24 8:41 pm
From: Zac Denning via groups.io <zdenning1...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Release of rescued Barn Owl from Albany Bulb
For those of you needing some positive news, here’s an update on the Barn
Owl rescued from the Albany Bulb on September 17th (that had its feet
tangled in twine):

The rehabilitated male Barn Owl was released tonight at the bulb, after
successful rehab stays at Lindsay Wildlife Rehabilitation Hospital and
Sulphur Creek Nature Center. Thank you especially to Bay Raptor Rescue -
who rescued something like 14 Barn Owls that week alone! Apparently, the
Barn Owl population is experiencing a boom this year.

Please donate to these highly worthy organizations.

Here’s a screenshot from the video of the bird’s release tonight (video is
attached also):
See the narrative further below on the rescue, along with photos of the
bird and rescue.

Zac Denning
Albany

Date: 10/1/24 5:22 pm
From: Melanie Barnett via groups.io <mjb2024...>
Subject: Egrets, pipefish, & eelgrass at Alameda Point Re: [EBB-Sightings] strange stuff washed up (?) at Elsie Roemer
This blog post is about 5 years old - and has some very nice photos from Alameda Point of egrets with pipefish. The latter is apparently an indicator species for eelgrass presence. The post also shows where the photos were taken and where the inferred eelgrass bed is.
https://alamedapointenviro.com/2019/11/27/bay-pipefish-indicates-eelgrass-in-alameda-point-harbor/#more-5371

I don't know if there has been any followup for this observation.

A bit further north, there have been long-term efforts to protect eelgrass habitat is in Richardson Bay. And that work appears to be paying off:

https://baynature.org/article/in-the-name-of-eelgrass/

https://ca.audubon.org/about-us/richardson-bay-audubon-center-sanctuary

Melanie Barnett
Sunnyvale

On Tuesday, October 1st, 2024 at 12:52 PM, Ben Pearl via groups.io <slotiger2000...> wrote:

> The largest eelgrass bed in the Central Bay is found right off of Alameda. See the BCDC map of eelgrass in the SF Bay at https://gis.data.cnra.ca.gov/maps/BCDC::sf-bay-eelgrass-bcdc-2020
>
> Ben
>
>> On Oct 1, 2024, at 12:39 PM, Dominik Mosur via groups.io <dominikmosur...> wrote:
>
>> Maureen,
>>
>> While eelgrass has been much reduced inside SF Bay - mostly I think by dredging of shipping channels and activity by water craft, there’s definitely still some around. I’ve seen it tangled in fishing nets during the herring runs.
>>
>> According to F&W “20% of the state’s eelgrass is in SF Bay.”
>>
>> Dominik
>>
>>> On Oct 1, 2024, at 12:32, Maureen Lahiff via groups.io <MLahiff...> wrote:
>>
>>>  We don’t have eel grass beds anywhere near Alameda as far as I know.
>>>
>>> Seems way too dense and thick and uniform to be eel grass.

Back to top
Date: 10/1/24 1:07 pm
From: Dominik Mosur via groups.io <dominikmosur...>
Thank you, Ben.

I’ve heard of eelgrass beds off of Brooks Island and Richardson Bay, but
didn’t realize about Alameda. Great to know.

Dominik

Back to top
Date: 10/1/24 12:52 pm
From: Ben Pearl via groups.io <slotiger2000...>

Back to top
Date: 10/1/24 12:39 pm
From: Dominik Mosur via groups.io <dominikmosur...>

Back to top
Date: 10/1/24 12:32 pm
From: Maureen Lahiff via groups.io <MLahiff...>
We don’t have eel grass beds anywhere near Alameda as far as I know.
Seems way too dense and thick and uniform to be eel grass.

On Tuesday, October 1, 2024, 12:14 PM, Lorrie Klosterman <loklosterman...> wrote:

Is it eel grass?
"When the eelgrass dies, detaches, and washes up on the beach, a whole new ecosystem is founded; many species of insects and other invertebrates begin to inhabit the dead plant..."
https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/52614-Zostera-marina

Could be an algal bloom. Berkeley Aquatic Park sometimes gets choked with a fibrous mat that they periodically skim out. The (bleached) remains were along the west shore near the boathouse last time I went, if anyone wants to compare. Seems correlated with warmer weather. There was also a red tide surrounding Bodega Bay on Sunday; I don't know whether it also affected SF bay, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Date: 10/1/24 12:14 pm
From: Lorrie Klosterman via groups.io <loklosterman...>

<gmail.com...> wrote:

> Could be an algal bloom. Berkeley Aquatic Park sometimes gets choked with
> a fibrous mat that they periodically skim out. The (bleached) remains were
> along the west shore near the boathouse last time I went, if anyone wants
> to compare. Seems correlated with warmer weather. There was also a red
> tide <https://caseagrant.ucsd.edu/our-work/resources/red-tides-california>
> surrounding Bodega Bay on Sunday; I don't know whether it also affected SF
> bay, but I wouldn't be surprised.
>

> On Tue, Oct 1, 2024 at 11:49 AM Maureen Lahiff via groups.io <MLahiff=
> <aol.com...> wrote:
>
>> The shoreline is covered with some sort of fibrous mat. Does not seem to
>> be a natural product.
>>

>> These photos were taken around 1.5 hours before a 6 ft high ride at 12:15
>> pm today.
>>
>> Not there on Sept 26.
>>
>> Maureen Lahiff
>> Oakland
>>

> --
> -Sharon Jue
> ~Berkeley

Back to top
Date: 10/1/24 12:04 pm
From: Sharon Jue via groups.io <sljue1...>

<aol.com...> wrote:

> The shoreline is covered with some sort of fibrous mat. Does not seem to
> be a natural product.
>

> These photos were taken around 1.5 hours before a 6 ft high ride at 12:15
> pm today.
>
> Not there on Sept 26.
>
> Maureen Lahiff
> Oakland

Back to top
Date: 10/1/24 11:55 am
From: Edward Vine via groups.io <birdalot2...>
It was there on Sept. 25 - around low tide. Not sure what it was, but I
thought it was "natural" (ie., not plastic). But I could be wrong. I did
not touch it. :)

--
Ed Vine

Back to top

Date: 9/30/24 9:07 pm
From: Zac Denning via groups.io <zdenning1...>
Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] Possible Dusky Flycatcher in Berkeley Botanical Garden
Nice find Sharon!

To my eye, this looks like a solid Hammond’s Flycatcher, with the tiny all
dark bill, blocky head shape, and nice long primaries. The coloration fits
too.

I think the primary length (visible in your second pic) rules out Dusky.

Great bird!

Zac Denning
Albany

On Mon, Sep 30, 2024 at 8:03 PM Sharon Jue via groups.io <sljue1=
<gmail.com...> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I birded Strawberry Canyon and the UC Berkeley Botanical Garden today.
> Probably due to the heat, neither had very much bird activity, but on
> towards late afternoon I saw a rather dark-backed empidonax flycatcher
> lacking most of the greenish/yellowish tones I'd expect from Western. It
> did show the teardrop-shaped eyering though. It was pretty skittish and
> would reposition whenever I got decently close (and in short order
> disappeared in the direction of the creek), but I managed a couple distant
> photos. I sent a back-of-camera shot to a few friends who agreed that it
> looked promising for Dusky. Unfortunately was never able to refind it
> before the garden closed. As it doesn't reopen until 10AM Wednesday, if
> anyone wants to try for it, I'd suggest starting from the Centennial Rd
> staging area of the Strawberry Canyon fire trail, going up to first bend in
> the trail, and looking towards the ruins of the former observation deck.
>
> Photos on the eBird list https://ebird.org/checklist/S197086569, and
> thoughts on the ID appreciated.
>

> --
> -Sharon Jue
> ~Berkeley

Back to top

Date: 9/30/24 8:26 am
From: Bruce Mast via groups.io <cathrasher4...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] recent migrants
Hello Birders,
Based on what I was hearing this morning on my exercise walk, today should
be a good day to get out and look for migrants and returning winter birds.
I did my regular walk through Piedmont--no binoculars and no stopping for
birds but plenty of ear birding. I regularly heard Towsend's Warbler chip
notes along the way, plus a couple Yellow-rumped Warblers. In Piedmont
Park, I heard a clucking Western Tanager, two Ruby-crowned Kinglets (my
first of fall), and a Fox Sparrow singing broken song phrases. Song
Sparrows are singing and calling from places where they almost certainly
didn't breed--they could be migrants or local dispersing birds as far as I
know.

Yesterday, I was walking past Lake Merritt near Lakeside Drive and 21st St.
where I noticed a gaggle of 6 geese on the lake that looked like Cackling
Geese. I hesitate a bit because again I wasn't carrying binoculars and
goose size is harder to judge on the water than on land. Nevertheless, they
looked small overall and their heads and bills looked proportionately
smaller than Canada Geese. Worth watching for if you happen to be in the
area.

Bird on,

Bruce Mast
Oakland

Back to top
Date: 9/28/24 6:20 pm
From: Claude Lyneis via groups.io <cmlyneis...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Double-crested Cormorant Molting
I was out north of Pt Isabel this afternoon and there were a reasonable variety of birds. There were a pair of Double-crested Cormorants along Meeker Slough and one looked like it needed a haircut on its head. iBird says they have slow molt in the fall, which is consistent with the bird on the right in a photo. On Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/2qjm7e8
Cormorant Pair 1 Molting Meeker Slough

Date: 9/28/24 4:44 pm
From: Bob Richmond via groups.io <bobrichmond94544...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Possible Northern Gannet

Today a possible Northern Gannet was seen from the south end of Marshall Ave. at the old Alameda Naval Air Station. It was seen flying along the breakwater.
Bob Richmond
Yahoo Mail: Search, organise, conquer

Back to top
Date: 9/28/24 3:02 pm
From: nat_weber via groups.io <natw976...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Swinhoe’s White eye Creekside park
Swinhoe’s White continues at Creekside park. Saw about 50’ east of previous
sighting. Around 2:30 today. It came in with a flock of bushtits.
Nat Weber
Moraga

Back to top
Date: 9/28/24 7:59 am
From: Alan Krakauer via groups.io <Alan.krakauer...>
Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] House Finches and ebird -- two topics
Dave,

Perhaps you could clarify your point #2. I know your intention was to
provide a compliment to a short anonymous list of birders but this comes
across as extremely negative to our birding community. I'd also be
surprised to learn that it's the official position of the *Macaulay*
library that only some photos are scientifically interesting. Ebird is a
tool released into the wild and nobody should be made to feel bad that they
are reporting common birds or photographing in less than ideal light or
birds in "bad poses".

-Alan Krakauer
Richmond, CA

Back to top
Date: 9/27/24 9:49 pm
From: ann callaway via groups.io <callaway.mix...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Sora at Jewel Lake in Tilden
After being alerted by another birding couple a few days ago that they had seen a Sora at Jewel Lake, I saw it briefly today at about 5:45pm. The vantage point was next to the bench overlooking the lake. Looking directly across to the opposite side, there is a kind of embankment with tule. I’ve been checking that same area in late afternoon and today I managed to spot a smallish, brown, cryptically patterned bird close to the water briefly through binoculars before it literally “turned tail” and hurried back into the reeds out of sight. Its upturned tail, rising to a point and revealing clear, pale, buffy undertail coverts was convincing.
Ann Callaway
El Cerrito

Back to top
Date: 9/27/24 9:03 pm
From: Zac Denning via groups.io <zdenning1...>
Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] Local interest: Swinhoe’s White-eye at Creekside Park, Albany
PS - this bird was previously reported by John Colbert and Erica
Rutherford, some weeks ago. I believe Nat Smale may have seen it here as
well before me.

Zac Denning
Albany

On Fri, Sep 27, 2024 at 4:11 PM Zac Denning <zdenning1...> wrote:

> FYI: There’s a Swinhoe’s White-eye at Creekside park in Albany, in the
> willows along Cerrito Creek, just across from the southeast (rear) corner
> of the Pacific East Mall / 99 Ranch market building. At roughly about
> (37.8981414, -122.3062178). It’s kind of a skulker.
>
> It makes a strident chip (tink!) like an Orange-crowned Warbler on
> steroids. It also made the whiny whee whee call like this:
> https://xeno-canto.org/934096.
>

> Zac Denning
> Albany

Back to top
Date: 9/27/24 4:43 pm
From: David Yeamans via groups.io <davidralphyeamans...>
1. On Tuesday I birded one of my longer patches in Livermore and saw an
unusually high abundance of house finches. They were in groups of 5s 10s
30s, 60s and as many as 120 house finches in one flock. Coincidentally
Tuesday was the third day in a row when I've noticed white-crowned sparrows
returning here for wintering. I suppose that the WCSP have temporarily
occupied habitat formerly the domain of late summer HOFI. It might be that
the HOFI are moving on to an honest to goodness post breeding dispersal.

2. I am really happy to see some recent Macauley Library submissions on
ebird reports that have interesting and maybe even noteworthy value. It
seems like a long time since good birders with decent photos (with some
excellent exceptions -- you good scientists and photographers know who you
are) have shown their work. It has been a long summer of seeing 5 or 10
photos of the same common bird in a bad pose in bad light. I, and the
rating teams at Mcauley, spend frustrating hours sorting through unrated
(but worthy of no more than 2- or 3-stars) photos just to find something
beautiful, scientifically interesting, and/or NOT watermarked with self
promotions. Bless you all for your contributions.

Maybe I'll see some of you January 1, 2025.

Dave Yeamans, Livermore, 2024-09-26

Back to top

Date: 9/27/24 12:49 pm
From: Ethan Monk via groups.io <z.querula...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Clifton
This morning Jerry Britten and I had a juvenile Sabines Gull flying around the south end of Clifton Court Forebay. Note there have been several reported from Stockton WTP and two from Woodland WTP today and yesterday. Also at Clifton, two late Bank Swallows joined a flock of a few hundred mostly HY Tree Swallows and a small flock of Aleutian Cackling Geese were my first of season. Later, I counted 136 Mute Swans on Franks Tract, up from 68 on the 18th and 25 on the 6th.

Ethan Monk

Back to top
Date: 9/25/24 1:34 pm
From: Alvaro Jaramillo via groups.io <chucao...>
Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] Fw: Dove
Hi

It is a Mourning Dove mourning the loss of some tail feathers. This allows the outer tail feathers with big white tips to show through.

Alvaro Jaramillo

<mailto:<alvaro...> <alvaro...>

<http://www.alvarosadventures.com> www.alvarosadventures.com

Date: 9/25/24 12:40 pm
From: RON & MARILYN MODAFFERI via groups.io <tahoemod...>
----- Forwarded Message ----- From: tahoemod <tahoemod...>To: "<tahoemod...>" <tahoemod...>Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2024 at 10:55:50 AM PDTSubject: Dove

Date: 9/25/24 6:22 am
From: Sam Zuckerman via groups.io <samzuckerman...>
Subject: Re: [EBB-Sightings] Coyote Hills: Lesser (?) Yellowlegs
I was at the Coyote Hills on Sept. 11 and was struck by the large concentration of Lesser Yellowlegs in the Main Marsh, outnumbering the Greater Yellowlegs. I counted 10, which was probably a significant undercount. Even for migration season, that seems like a large number. https://ebird.org/checklist/S194797883

> On 09/24/2024 8:46 PM PDT Maureen Lahiff via groups.io <mlahiff...> wrote:
>

> I am fairly certain that these birds, which I saw today near the start of the Main Marsh boardwalk at Coyote Hills, are Lesser (and not Greater) Yellowlegs.
>
> Bills seem too short relative to head depth and they have shorter legs and seem much smaller than Greater.
>
> I realize this is not a great cell phone photo. Least Sandpiper on the left for size comparison.
>
> Thanks, Maureen Lahiff
>
> [Inline image]

Sam Zuckerman
<samzuckerman...>
510-375-3861

Back to top
Date: 9/24/24 4:52 pm
From: Claude Lyneis via groups.io <cmlyneis...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Shorebirds returning to Stege Marsh/ Meeker Slough
I went out looking for the Red Knot reported a few days ago, this morning and didn’t see it. Still, it was great weather, winds were calm and the morning light is improving and there were a good variety of birds to photograph.

On Flickr. https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjBJKzq

Date: 9/22/24 2:17 pm
From: Zac Denning via groups.io <zdenning1...>
Subject: [EBB-Sightings] Migration / Sky Watch - Vollmer Peak
This morning, I did 2 early morning peak watches from the top of Vollmer
Peak, starting before sunrise, looking for migrants. Both days, the
temperature was quite warm, with clear skies from the peak, looking down on
a dense blanket of fog below. The sunrises above the sea of fog
were spectacular! (photos below). I had 49 species on my list Saturday and
57 today. Audio clips to be added later.

Saturday's eBird list: https://ebird.org/checklist/S195954221
Sunday's eBird list: https://ebird.org/checklist/S196115597
Combined Trip Report: https://ebird.org/tripreport/276872

Here are some highlights:

- *Vaux's Swifts*: *42* on Saturday, *96* today, counted by ones, all
heading south (presumably from the McNear Brickyard roost), with
peak flights between 7 and 8:30am. Occasionally, a group would pause to
forage with the Violet-green Swallows and White-throated Swifts directly
above the peak, but most were tiny specks streaming southward, and often
not visible without above the fog bank with binoculars. Saturday's count
would have been higher if I'd started earlier - and I also wasn't looking
as hard for them at the beginning.
- *Western Tanagers*: 23 on Saturday, 5 today. Saturday morning at
pre-dawn, there were tanagers calling all over the west facing hillside
above the parking lot, with often 2-3 visible at once, plus scattered
individuals flying by the peak. Most seemed to depart within 1/2 hour after
dawn. Today, there were only a few scattered individuals heard and seen.
- *Black-headed Grosbeaks*: 5 Saturday, none on Sunday.
- *Warblers*: Surprisingly low numbers! Saturday - 4 *Yellow-rumped*, 3
*Townsend's*; Sunday: 1 *Wilson's*, 6 *Townsend's*, 5 *Yellow-rumpeds*,
2 *Orange-crowned* (1 singing briefly), 1 *Yellow* near the lower
parking area. Most flew over the peak without stopping or pausing only
momentarily in a tree before heading off again. All were heading NE.
- *Thrushes*: 4 Swainson's, 5 *Hermit* on Saturday; 1 *Swainson's*, 11
*Hermits* today
- *Western Wood-pewees*: 2 Saturday, 7 today
- *Raptors*: on Saturday - 1 *Cooper's*, one *Sharpie*, one *Merlin*; On
Sunday, 1 *Red-tail*, 1 *Red-shouldered* and 1 *Cooper's*. *Great-horned
Owls *were calling both mornings
- *Anna's Hummingbirds*: 14 Saturday, 15 Sunday - nearly all zipping
over the peak at high speed and obviously on the move (not stopping to
perch or forage). Several chased raptors at different points.
- *Violet-green Swallows:* abundant both days, with a good sized flock
circling the peak, with numbers building starting at about 8am
- *Fox Sparrows*: 9-10 each day, with some zipping over the peak in
active migration, but most calling or foraging in 2s and 3s at various
places along the trail
- One offs from the weekend and/or less common for Vollmer Peak or the
time of year:
- Saturday:
- *Pacific Wren*
- Juvenile *Chipping Sparrow* (foraging with the junco flock just
a short way downhill from the peak)
- 2 *American Goldfinches*
- 6 *Red-winged Blackbirds*
- A flock of 10 unidentified ducks flying far to the East of the
peak
- 2 *Tree Swallows*
- Sunday:
- 6 *Western Kingbirds* flying low over the peak heading SW over
the peak (flagged as rare)
- 1 *Say's Phoebe*, heading SW over the peak
- 1 *Northern Mockingbird*
- 1 *American Pipit* - I wasn't expecting this one!
- 1 *Acorn Woodpecker*, perhaps dispersing or seeking a new colony
- 1 *Red-breasted Sapsucker*
- 1 *Pine Siskin*
- 1* House Wren*
- On both days, I encountered small numbers of Western Flycatchers,
California Thrashers (singing on Saturday), Ruby-crowned Kinglets,
Golden-crowned Sparrows (FOS for me on Saturday), creepers, flickers, Downy
Woodpeckers, Band-tailed Pigeons
- Misses and lower numbers than I'd expect: No Hermit or Black-throated
Gray Warblers, no bluebirds, surprisingly few House Finches and no Purple
Finches

[image: IMG_2454.jpeg]
[image: IMG_2466.jpeg]
[image: IMG_2462.jpeg]