central_valley_birds
Received From Subject
6/21/24 11:21 am Chris Conard via groups.io <conardc...> [centralvalleybirds] SAC Willets
6/16/24 8:01 pm Glennah Trochet via groups.io <trochetj...> [centralvalleybirds] CRP rose-breasted grosbeak (not chase-able)
6/12/24 7:25 pm Glennah Trochet via groups.io <trochetj...> [centralvalleybirds] Tall Forest bird survey this coming Saturday
6/11/24 10:50 am Zane Pickus via groups.io <zanep987...> [centralvalleybirds] Summer Tanager, Putah Creek Riparian Reserve (Yolo and Solano Counties)
6/10/24 12:48 pm Irene E. Engilis via groups.io <ieengilis...> Re: [centralvalleybirds] Cosumnes birds the last few days
6/9/24 3:56 pm Glennah Trochet via groups.io <trochetj...> [centralvalleybirds] Cosumnes birds the last few days
5/31/24 4:36 pm Chris Conard via groups.io <conardc...> Re: [centralvalleybirds] Registration software
5/31/24 4:33 pm Chris Conard via groups.io <conardc...> Re: [centralvalleybirds] Registration software
5/30/24 12:19 pm Robin Leong via groups.io <robin_leong...> [centralvalleybirds] WFO birdathon
5/30/24 8:57 am Chris Conard via groups.io <conardc...> [centralvalleybirds] Bufferlands Open Trail Day this Saturday
5/25/24 10:03 am Ethan Monk via groups.io <z.querula...> [centralvalleybirds] 2nd hand Colusa Black Swifts

Back to top
Date: 6/21/24 11:21 am
From: Chris Conard via groups.io <conardc...>
Subject: [centralvalleybirds] SAC Willets
Hi folks,

Had two Willets at the Sac Regional WTP this morning.
I have a narrow window where I could take folks in to see them, assuming
they stay put. 2-3 pm today.

Let me know if there's interest.

Chris Conard
Sacramento
--please excuse this brief message sent with my phone

Back to top
Date: 6/16/24 8:01 pm
From: Glennah Trochet via groups.io <trochetj...>
Subject: [centralvalleybirds] CRP rose-breasted grosbeak (not chase-able)
Dear Birders,

Today at the Cosumnes River Preserve I found a male rose-breasted grosbeak along Wood Duck Slough in the Tall Forest. This parcel of the preserve is closed to unscheduled visitation.

Some shorebirds are back. I had six greater yellowlegs on Friday, eight yesterday and 22 today.

Best,
John Trochet
Sacramento

Back to top
Date: 6/12/24 7:25 pm
From: Glennah Trochet via groups.io <trochetj...>
Subject: [centralvalleybirds] Tall Forest bird survey this coming Saturday
Dear Birders,

Saturday the 15th is the next Tall Forest bird survey at the Cosumnes River Preserve in southern Sacramento County. An account of what this usually closed area is like and what to expect is on the preserve website, www.cosumnes.org. If after reading that you’re still interested, please contact me for the departure time and rendezvous point.

That day is also the annual butterfly count at the preserve, so it will be a long day. Sometime in late morning I will switch my focus from birds to leps. At that time I will let the folks who’ve had enough out the locked gate.

I hope to have the opportunity on Friday to clean up some of the trails. Regardless, bring insect repellent and expect that in a couple of places rubber knee boots will be needed to keep one’s feet dry.

If coming from the west or north, know that road construction on Twin Cities Road and the continuing closure of the Franklin Boulevard bridge over Lost Slough will add some minutes to your travel time.

Best,
John Trochet
Sacramento

Back to top
Date: 6/11/24 10:50 am
From: Zane Pickus via groups.io <zanep987...>
Subject: [centralvalleybirds] Summer Tanager, Putah Creek Riparian Reserve (Yolo and Solano Counties)
Hi all,

This morning while conducting bird surveys at Putah Creek Riparian Reserve
for the UC Davis Museum of Wildlife and Fish Biology I was thrilled to hear
a calling Summer Tanager. I tracked it down and it was a striking immature
male with a red head and yellow/green body. Ethan Monk joined me soon after
and viewed the bird as well. The tanager was the only migrant I had on the
creek today. Photos and audio will be added to my eBird report later.

The bird was about a quarter mile downstream from the Pedrick Rd. bridge,
roughly here:
(38.5272967, -121.8007512). There is a bird bath on the Solano Co. side of
the creek that has hosted prior rarities such as a TEWA two falls ago, and
the tanager stopped by this spot for a drink during my observation. After
about 20 minutes the bird caught and devoured a wasp before disappearing.
To my knowledge it has not been seen since, but perhaps it will return to
drink again in the heat of the day or become more active this evening. Good
luck to those who try!

Good birding,
Zane Pickus
Davis, CA

Back to top
Date: 6/10/24 12:48 pm
From: Irene E. Engilis via groups.io <ieengilis...>
Subject: Re: [centralvalleybirds] Cosumnes birds the last few days
Gosh! I’m blushing! Thanks John!!

Irene E. Engilis
Collections Manager
Museum of Wildlife and Fish Biology<http://mwfb.ucdavis.edu/>, Est. in 1972
Dept. of Wildlife, Fish, and Conservation Biology<http://wfcb.ucdavis.edu/>
University of California, Davis<https://www.ucdavis.edu/>
(530) 754-8813 | <ieengilis...><mailto:<ieengilis...>
Follow us on Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/museumofwildlifeandfishbiology/>, Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/museumofwfb/?hl=en>, or Twitter<https://twitter.com/mwfb?lang=en>

Date: 5/31/24 4:36 pm
From: Chris Conard via groups.io <conardc...>
Subject: Re: [centralvalleybirds] Registration software
Sorry, meant for a different address!

Chris Conard
Sacramento

Back to top
Date: 5/31/24 4:33 pm
From: Chris Conard via groups.io <conardc...>
Hi Amy,

This sounds great to me. We can certainly provide you with a table and the
silent auction idea sounds great too.
We can see if someone from our group is interested in staffing a table at
your event. I'd love to do it if I could get away, though April is often a
very busy time here at home.

We'll circulate the idea among our group and definitely get a partnership
going between the two events.

Thanks so much for reaching out!

Take care,

Chris

Date: 5/30/24 12:19 pm
From: Robin Leong via groups.io <robin_leong...>
Subject: [centralvalleybirds] WFO birdathon
Hi Central Valley Birders,
This coming Saturday, Judith Dunham and I are going to do the Western Field Ornithologists ( https://www.facebook.com/WesternFieldOrnithologists?__cft__[0]=AZW-XjBV9zZHHOlvr1BxlmbtyWyjHileBumKrdzuWKP0bj6dSJRSSJYFkjrF5_rCec1PnVuF0dE8WhQguyPtH1zai_ukeizUCUoZCIgml9yCA61o_ACmKTuP3v_n9Uy2NS6fLmnBLETrHs27f8g1KZV8&__tn__=-]K-R ) (WFO) birdathon. You can go to their FB page or to https://westernfieldornithologists.org/ ( https://westernfieldornithologists.org/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTAAAR3iBkVC31W8p5HQkt5fCOanPZhVh8nlYg3FQfuYbL9qMGsnqaGGWfs0a6w_aem_ASVwlqPpL7-RKV1gkqTIhi_iPtMOuQDkMleKSCltqwL6dauC7EYeCNQHRsLFP5KPwZ5WSriYLPOhXUR0H-RmcBKD ) to see what this organization is all about and our mission statement.
This year Birdathon donations will be used to:
Light-footed Ridgway’s Rail habitat restoration through ReWild Mission Bay, a project of the San Diego Audubon Society and the ReWild Coalition of 85 community partners, WFO student programs, in particular, enabling scholars from Mexico to participate in and share their research at the WFO conference this October in San Diego, and WFO publications
My team Solano Species Seekers would appreciate getting sponsored by you click on this link to do that. https://wfo.securesweet.com/teampage.asp?fundid=991 ( https://wfo.securesweet.com/teampage.asp?fundid=991&fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTAAAR1FPD1uOKHH67EZiwX0-3YlrJmj_7tZL9cQrVIdlrZfdk2nayxWCkYjqIg_aem_ASUpX-nbXja4l0krAaWpcysL868mtWU1SYetmU0tuWgApdKZhQHfa-GhEWRMYVyCGcux_vvHdXlX4ZgbuqopG2mf )
Best birding,
Robin Leong
Vallejo, CA

Back to top
Date: 5/30/24 8:57 am
From: Chris Conard via groups.io <conardc...>
Subject: [centralvalleybirds] Bufferlands Open Trail Day this Saturday
Hi folks,

We hope you can join us for Bufferlands Open Trail Day this Saturday, June
1, 2024.

Eight miles of trails not regularly open for public access will be open to
enjoy at your own pace from 6:30am – 2:00pm.

Open Trail Day is a great opportunity to explore the Upper Beach Lake
Wildlife Area of the Bufferlands. Our biologists and docents will be out on
the trails to help you find your way and to answer any nature-related
questions. This is a great time to see our riparian forests and seasonal
wetlands, all in their spring beauty. During this time of year, Swainson’s
hawks and other raptors are seen soaring in the sky, while broods of
ducklings and goslings are readily spotted in the wetlands.

I'm regularly detecting Blue Grosbeaks, though they're not yet quite as
dependable as they are most years. Some of the vegetation where they
nest--often annual sunflower, cocklebur, perenial smart weed--is still
growing in, so they may not be as tied down to a particular site yet as
they are when nesting. Feel free to email or text if you come out on 6/1,
and I'll try to point you in the right direction.

Directions:

Take I-5 or Highway 99 south from Sacramento. Exit at Cosumnes River Blvd.
Take Cosumnes River Blvd west to Freeport Blvd. Take Freeport Blvd south,
past the golf course and the small town of Freeport. Turn left at signs
opposite Cliff’s Marina (8651 River Rd, Sacramento, CA 95832).

Follow signs to parking area.

This is the same access point as for Walk on the Wildside.

Please check www.bufferlands.com for additional upcoming events.

*In addition to eBird, you can help us document the biodiversity of the
Bufferlands using iNaturalist.*

Plants, insects, birds, mammals, reptiles—any species can be catalogued.

Even if you don’t know what it is, iNaturalist will help you figure it out.

If you don’t already use iNaturalist, it’s easy to download to your phone
and to get started.

Any observation you make within the boundary of the Bufferlands will
automatically be added to the SacSewer Bufferlands Project on iNaturalist!

We hope to see you at Open Trail Day and other events over the summer.

Take care,

Chris

Chris Conard

Natural Resource Specialist

SacSewer Bufferlands

8521 Laguna Station Rd.

Elk Grove, CA 95758

(916) 203-1610 cell

www.bufferlands.com

Back to top
Date: 5/25/24 10:03 am
From: Ethan Monk via groups.io <z.querula...>
Subject: [centralvalleybirds] 2nd hand Colusa Black Swifts
Hi,

Dominik Mosur asked me to post for him that at 9:55 he had two Black Swifts fly over him while he was at the Maxwell Rest Stop/ponds off I-5. Might be a good day for more still with this overcast…

Ethan Monk