calbirds
Received From Subject
4/22/18 1:03 am Lizzie <thelizziefox...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Marsh Sandpiper continues in Yolo
4/21/18 11:15 pm 'T.G. Miko' <tgmiko...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> Re: [CALBIRDS] Marsh Sandpiper update
4/21/18 1:12 pm Justyn Stahl <justyn.stahl...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> Re: [CALBIRDS] Marsh Sandpiper update
4/21/18 12:53 pm 'T.G. Miko' <tgmiko...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] RFI YOLO Bypass
4/21/18 11:06 am Steve Hampton <stevechampton...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Marsh Sandpiper update
4/20/18 9:30 am 'T.G. Miko' <tgmiko...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> Re: [CALBIRDS] Marsh Sandpiper Fri/Saturday?
4/20/18 9:16 am Gil Ewing <gewing1...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> Re: [CALBIRDS] Marsh Sandpiper Fri/Saturday?
4/20/18 7:55 am 'T.G. Miko' <tgmiko...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Marsh Sandpiper Fri/Saturday?
4/19/18 2:11 pm Justyn Stahl <justyn.stahl...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Marsh Sandpiper, April 19
4/16/18 10:00 pm <corvus8x...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Marsh Sandpiper
4/16/18 12:58 pm <jfholmes...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Marsh Sandpiper
4/16/18 10:45 am Justyn Stahl <justyn.stahl...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> Re: [CALBIRDS] Marsh Sandpiper 16 April
4/15/18 6:25 pm 'T.G. Miko' <tgmiko...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> Re: [CALBIRDS] Marsh Sandpiper history
4/15/18 6:19 pm Steve Hampton <stevechampton...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Marsh Sandpiper history
4/15/18 9:53 am Steve Hampton <stevechampton...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Marsh Sandpiper back at Yolo Bypass
4/14/18 7:42 am Steve Hampton <stevechampton...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Supertanker pelagic birds from April 12 and 13
4/13/18 5:17 pm Ronald- Thorn <Tronthorn...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Cruise ship pelagic birds from April 9 and 10
4/13/18 6:23 am <thespeckledhatchback...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Preparing for a Bay Area Bicycle Big Day
4/11/18 9:41 pm DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] JOUANIN'S PETREL: A FIRST RECORD FOR NORTH AMERICA
4/11/18 9:08 pm DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] JOUANIN'S PETREL: A FIRST RECORD FOR NORTH AMERICA
4/11/18 7:11 pm Kimball Garrett <kgarrett...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] News from the California Bird Records Committee
4/11/18 9:22 am Wim van Dam <wim.van.dam...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Fulvous Whistling Duck, Santa Barbara County
4/3/18 1:57 pm Thomas Benson <tbenson...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] CBRC review and request for documentation
4/3/18 9:36 am <thespeckledhatchback...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] First quarter 2018 bird photos (24 total)
4/2/18 4:18 pm Janet Leonard <jlleonar...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> Re: [CALBIRDS] Malibu Lagoon hosts extremely rare Asian bird
4/2/18 2:04 pm Chuck & Lillian <misclists...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Malibu Lagoon hosts extremely rare Asian bird
3/28/18 6:32 pm <adboro...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Groove-Billed Ani

Back to top
Date: 4/22/18 1:03 am
From: Lizzie <thelizziefox...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Marsh Sandpiper continues in Yolo
blockquote, div.yahoo_quoted { margin-left: 0 !important; border-left:1px #715FFA solid !important; padding-left:1ex !important; background-color:white !important; } Being seen for the last hour on the west side of the road right after the auto loop bends north,Lizzie FeuchtArcata, CA

Back to top
Date: 4/21/18 11:15 pm
From: 'T.G. Miko' <tgmiko...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [CALBIRDS] Marsh Sandpiper update
Call me ! I am here, lost, but can't get across the water to you. I am on
the lever road.
Tom
909.241.3300

On Sat, Apr 21, 2018, 1:09 PM Justyn Stahl <justyn.stahl...> wrote:

> It’s been refound and in view at 1306. Well west of parking lot E and the
> pump station, just east of a false parking lot where the hunter check
> station is during hunting season. 38.5308, -121.619
>

> Justyn Stahl
> San Clemente Island
>

> On Sat, Apr 21, 2018 at 11:25 AM 'T.G. Miko' <tgmiko...> [CALBIRDS] <
> <CALBIRDS-noreply...> wrote:
>

>> OMG, you are making me really nervous! I am somewhere between Stockton
>> and Sacramento on the 5. I left La at 6 this morning.. I can't believe how
>> many Swainson's Hawks I have seen along the 5 freeway today, along with an
>> adult bald eagle in Stanislaus County.
>>

>> On Sat, Apr 21, 2018, 11:04 AM Steve Hampton <stevechampton...>
>> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> wrote:
>>

>>> Some people are reporting that the Marsh Sandpiper flew off to the
>>> east and went down somewhere north parking lot H
>>>
>>> It does not seem to be along the return route of the tour loop at the
>>> moment
>>>

>>> --
>>> Steve Hampton
>>> Davis, CA

Back to top
Date: 4/21/18 1:12 pm
From: Justyn Stahl <justyn.stahl...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>

<CALBIRDS-noreply...> wrote:

> OMG, you are making me really nervous! I am somewhere between Stockton and
> Sacramento on the 5. I left La at 6 this morning.. I can't believe how many
> Swainson's Hawks I have seen along the 5 freeway today, along with an adult
> bald eagle in Stanislaus County.
>

> On Sat, Apr 21, 2018, 11:04 AM Steve Hampton <stevechampton...>
> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> wrote:
>

>> Some people are reporting that the Marsh Sandpiper flew off to the east
>> and went down somewhere north parking lot H
>>
>> It does not seem to be along the return route of the tour loop at the
>> moment
>>

>> --
>> Steve Hampton
>> Davis, CA

Back to top
Date: 4/21/18 12:53 pm
From: 'T.G. Miko' <tgmiko...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] RFI YOLO Bypass
Saturday 1240 pm

Hi, I am using Google maps to get to the eBird hotspots where the Marsh
Sandpiper is supposed to be, and I might be close to the right location but
I am out in the middle of a grassy field in the middle of nowhere,
somewhere vaguely south of Highway 80. Google Maps had me drive on a bunch
of unmarked unlabeled roads.I would really appreciate it if somebody could
please call me up at 909.241.3300
Tom Miko

Back to top

Date: 4/20/18 9:30 am
From: 'T.G. Miko' <tgmiko...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [CALBIRDS] Marsh Sandpiper Fri/Saturday?
Thanks!
If I call of from work, I won't be home to take my kids to swim class,
after school, today, so I feel like I should only go tomorrow early in the
morning (6 and 1/2 hours from my house to Yolo) but I waited until
"Saturday" one of the previous years, and the bird flew away one hour (ONE
HOUR!!!) before we arrived, and we waited until the sun went down, and
never saw it.
Tom

Thomas Geza Miko
http://www.tgmiko.com/
Claremont, Los Angeles County, California
909.241.3300

On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 9:16 AM, Gil Ewing <gewing1...> wrote:

> Marsh Sandpiper still at SW corner of auto tour loop at Yolo Bypass
> Wildlife Area at this time on Friday April 20
>
> Gil Ewing
> Fair Oaks, CA
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Apr 20, 2018, at 7:55 AM, 'T.G. Miko' <tgmiko...> [CALBIRDS] <
> <CALBIRDS-noreply...> wrote:
>

> Hi
> I am very frustrated that that bird shows up each year on a Sunday or
> Monday and stays doing the work week when I have to go to work and then it
> disappears by Saturday. I have been studying the dates of when this bird
> shows up and leaves and it has stayed as long as April 23rd. I'm seriously
> considering leaving Los Angeles today Friday, or perhaps leaving at 5 in
> the morning tomorrow, Saturday April 21, but I don't want to drive there
> alone. If somebody would like to ride with me and keep me awake and maybe
> pay some gas money from anywhere in Southern California please contact me..
> Also, if the bird is seen today Friday or during the weekend please post as
> soon as possible. I appreciate the fact that you folks have been trying to
> keep fresh information each day out there.
> Tom Miko
> Claremont LA County
> 909.241.3300 cell

Back to top
Date: 4/20/18 9:16 am
From: Gil Ewing <gewing1...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Marsh Sandpiper still at SW corner of auto tour loop at Yolo Bypass Wildlife Area at this time on Friday April 20

Gil Ewing
Fair Oaks, CA

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 20, 2018, at 7:55 AM, 'T.G. Miko' <tgmiko...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> wrote:
>

> Hi
> I am very frustrated that that bird shows up each year on a Sunday or Monday and stays doing the work week when I have to go to work and then it disappears by Saturday. I have been studying the dates of when this bird shows up and leaves and it has stayed as long as April 23rd. I'm seriously considering leaving Los Angeles today Friday, or perhaps leaving at 5 in the morning tomorrow, Saturday April 21, but I don't want to drive there alone. If somebody would like to ride with me and keep me awake and maybe pay some gas money from anywhere in Southern California please contact me. Also, if the bird is seen today Friday or during the weekend please post as soon as possible. I appreciate the fact that you folks have been trying to keep fresh information each day out there.
> Tom Miko
> Claremont LA County
> 909.241.3300 cell

Back to top

Date: 4/19/18 2:11 pm
From: Justyn Stahl <justyn.stahl...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Marsh Sandpiper, April 19
According to eBird, the Yolo MASA continues this morning:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44727584

"Continuing bird along the northbound one-way return loop. I relocated this
bird almost immediately this morning in the pond on the left hand side at
the southern most area. It was foraging at a distance out in the open but
also repeated going behind clumps of rushes so that it was no longer
visible without repositioning to the other side of the pond. Looks similar
to LEYE but very small and delicate with very white face and underparts.
Back gray with some black spots but not anywhere like the Yellowlegs. Bill
needle like. Photos and digiscoped videos. I was able to help many folks
get on this bird. It was still in the same area when I left it around
11:30am. "

Just the messenger,

Justyn Stahl
San Clemente Island

Back to top
Date: 4/16/18 10:00 pm
From: <corvus8x...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Marsh Sandpiper
Just a update on the Marsh Sandpiper for the pm.. We saw it till 420 pm , when we left due to rain. Still in general location described in earlier posts.

As a side note- from about Fairfield east to the Yolo Basin I had a count of 26 Swainson's Hawks along Highway 80 and in the wildlife area. Big push today and due to the weather easier to detect as they were flying low and stood out.

Scott Carey

Sebastopol, Ca.

Back to top
Date: 4/16/18 12:58 pm
From: <jfholmes...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
My wife, father and I saw the continuing Marsh Sandpiper at Yolo bypass at noon today.

The bird was at google map coordinates: 38.5483668,-121.6266346 which is as the one- way auto tour loop goes north from parking lot D. It was on the west side of the road feeding at the edge of a reedbed.

eBird list:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44638348 https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44638348

Good luck

Jim Holmes
Sacramento, CA

Back to top
Date: 4/16/18 10:45 am
From: Justyn Stahl <justyn.stahl...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [CALBIRDS] Marsh Sandpiper 16 April
Bird still present this morning in same area according to eBird.

Justyn Stahl
San Clemente Island

On Sun, Apr 15, 2018 at 10:41 AM Steve Hampton <stevechampton...>
[CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> wrote:

> The bird was along the return leg of the auto tour loop about 100-300
> yards north of the south end of the loop; roughly between Lots C and D as
> the crow flies. Loosely associating with Greater Yellowlegs. Sorry for any
> confusion.
>
> Pics at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44598880
>

> good birding!
>
> --
> Steve Hampton
> Davis, CA

Back to top
Date: 4/15/18 6:25 pm
From: 'T.G. Miko' <tgmiko...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [CALBIRDS] Marsh Sandpiper history
Please ask this bird to stay until Sunday April 22nd. I am tired of chasing
it.
Tom
LA County

Thomas Geza Miko
http://www.tgmiko.com/
Claremont, Los Angeles County, California
909.241.3300

On Sun, Apr 15, 2018 at 6:16 PM, Steve Hampton <stevechampton...>
[CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> wrote:

> Since several have asked, given the rarity and coincidence of these
> records, this Marsh Sandpiper is almost certainly the same bird as the 2016
> individual. The 2016 bird foraged within a few hundred yards on either side
> of the current bird's location, and flew exactly over the spot where the
> current bird is, between Lots C and D. It was found on Apr 16, 2016.
>
> It is also probably the same as the 2014 bird from Liberty Island Rd
> (about 15 miles SSE of the 2016 and 2018 birds).
>
> As far as I can tell, here are all the records of Marsh Sandpiper in North
> America not including some from western Alaska.
>
> Oct 12-16, 2011, Estero Punta Banda, Baja California, Mexico
> Oct 26, 2013, Mecca, Riverside County
> April 9-12, 2014, Liberty Island Rd, Solano County
> April 16-23, 2016, Yolo Bypass Wildlife Area, Yolo County
> April 15- , 2018, Yolo Bypass Wildlife Area, Yolo County
>
> There's a remote possibility that ALL these records pertain to the same
> bird, but that might be a bit presumptuous.
>
> good birding,
>
> --
> Steve Hampton
> Davis, CA

Back to top

Date: 4/15/18 9:53 am
From: Steve Hampton <stevechampton...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Marsh Sandpiper back at Yolo Bypass
Marsh Sandpiper is back! Yolo Bypass Wildlife Area. Return leg of auto
tour loop, west side of road with Greater Yellowlegs about 300 yards south
of where return leg starts. Really windy!

Pics to come.

--
Steve Hampton
Davis, CA

Back to top
Date: 4/14/18 7:42 am
From: Steve Hampton <stevechampton...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Supertanker pelagic birds from April 12 and 13
I had the opportunity to ride as a guest on a supertanker traveling from
Long Beach to SF Bay, generally 40 to 65 miles offshore. The route began
at midnight, so really began at sunrise south of Santa Cruz Island. Viewing
decks (near the stern) were actually plentiful, but the ones with the best
and most wind-protected views were high and far from the water (e.g. the
bridge)-- and the birds were usually first seen crossing the bow. Given NW
winds of 20-40 kts throughout the trip, using a scope was difficult unless
I chose a protected spot with limited views-- so there was a tradeoff.

Highlights were similar to those posted by Ron Thorn a couple days ago:

April 12
*Ventura County (south of the Channel Islands)*
9 Sooty Shearwater
6 Pink-footed Shearwater
1 Black-vented Shearwater
11 Pacific Loons
3 Bonaparte's Gulls
2 Scripp's Murrelets

*Santa Barbara County (mostly 50 miles out from Pt Concepcion)*
1 Black-footed Albatross
1 Cook's Petrel (between Rodriguez Seamount and Arguello Cyn)
1 Pink-footed Shearwater
2 Western Gulls
(total of 5 individual birds in 2 hours of seawatch!)

(night time from Pt Concepcion area to Pt Sur area)

*Monterey County*
1 Black-footed Albatross
4 Cook's Petrel
1 distant pterodroma very white below, very dark above
4 dark Procellarids (shearwaters or petrels)
2 Northern Fulmars

*Santa Cruz County*
1 Black-footed Albatross
5 Northern Fulmar

We made the turn inland near Pioneer Seamount and only encountered a few
fulmars and murres from then on. I only saw 3 whale blows, which were all
at south end of Gulf of the Farallones.

This was a one-off opportunity, so don't expect more! The crew did say
they sometimes see little birds that hang around the ship and some stay
with it for days. This tanker's "milk run" is typically Valdez to WA or CA
and back.

all for now,

--
Steve Hampton
Davis, CA

Back to top
Date: 4/13/18 5:17 pm
From: Ronald- Thorn <Tronthorn...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Cruise ship pelagic birds from April 9 and 10

Leonie Batkin and I did a Holland America Line cruise from San Diego to Vancouver.

The number of birds and diversity were at the low end through-out California.

All species were noted, but below are just the highlights.

April 9

Santa Barbara County
Cook's Petrel ( 3 )

San Luis Obispo County
Laysan Albatross ( 1 )

Monterey County
Laysan Albatross ( 1 )
Cook's Petrel ( 2 )
Sabine's Gull ( 6 )

San Mateo County
Laysan Albatross ( 1 )
Cook's Petrel ( 1 )
Ashy Storm-Petrel ( 1 )
Fork-tailed Storm-Petrel ( 1 )
Sabine's Gull ( 1 )

San Francisco County
Laysan Albatross ( 1 )
Fork-tailed Storm-Petrel ( 2 )

April 10

Del Norte County
Leach's Storm-Petrel ( 500 )

We noted no Murphy's Petrels until crossing into Oregon waters.

Ron Thorn
Redwood City, California

Back to top
Date: 4/13/18 6:23 am
From: <thespeckledhatchback...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Preparing for a Bay Area Bicycle Big Day
Title says it all. Should be a lot of fun! Check out the route and
strategy here!

http://thespeckledhatchback.blogspot.com/ http://thespeckledhatchback.blogspot.com/

Cheers
Dorian Anderson
San Mateo

Back to top
Date: 4/11/18 9:41 pm
From: DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] JOUANIN'S PETREL: A FIRST RECORD FOR NORTH AMERICA
Howdy, CalBirders,

JOUANIN’S PETREL: FIRST NORTH AMERICAN RECORD:

Today I learned that the “mystery” petrel briefly observed and photographed during the Saturday, September 12, 2015 Shearwater Journeys’ offshore albacore trip has been accepted by the California Bird Records Committee as a JOUANIN’S PETREL (Bulweria fallax). This record represents the first accepted record of this north-west Indian Ocean seabird for North America.

This was a sold out trip accompanied by leaders: Scott Terrill, Linda Terrill, Alex Rinkert, Mary Gustafson, Rick Fournier, and Debi Shearwater. In addition, Will Brooks (a leader) was on board as a “regular” along with his father, Jim Brooks. Expert seabirder, Fabio Olmos from Brazil was on board, along with many keen local and out-of-state seabirders: Cooper Scallan, Doug Koch, Bryan Hix, Paul Fenwick, Chris Hartzell, Hillary White, Peder Svingen, Peter Haines, and others. Our captain this day was John Klusmire whose experience with Debi dates back to the mid-1980’s.

Ace leader, Alex Rinkert, first spotted the petrel and called it a “Bulwer’s Petrel” from the stern of the boat which was a pretty darned good call. As the petrel circled the vessel toward the bow, Scott Terrill and I had a view as it crossed to the other side. However, having seen quite a few Bulwer’s Petrels (including the first record for North America on another of our Monterey Bay trips some years ago), I was immediately convinced that this bird was not a Bulwer’s Petrel, based on size alone. The sighting was in Santa Cruz County, based on using “nearest point of land” and at a depth of only 200 fathoms. This species occurs in shallow waters within its normal range.

It should be noted that an extremely warm water “river” occurred along the north coast, off Santa Cruz and Half Moon Bay during this period. The presence of warm water by itself was not so much a factor, as the fact that it smashed into a front of significantly cold water. It was this frontal zone that produced the food for seabirds. (It’s all about food.) Indeed, only 3 days later, we found a WHITE-CHINNED PETREL on our September 15, 2015 Half Moon Bay trip. That petrel flew in and sat on the water for 45 minutes— birders seemed to become bored with it!

Much discussion ensued following the sighting of the September 12 petrel. Eventually, Scott Terrill and I put together all of the details we could muster— including many (not-so-great) photos which became known as “the petrel package.” This was circulated to some of the top world seabirders. David Ainley, Peter Harrison and Hadoram Shirihai responded independently and immediately that they judged the petrel to be a JOUANIN’S PETREL!

Finally, the package went to the CBRC and they made a concurring diagnosis. Of course, any first record for North America requires a laborious vetting, but especially so with seabirds which often present the most fleeting of views.

So, although we had a very good number of images, I would not particularly call any of them “great.” I will try to put up a post on my blog with some of these images. I will post about that when it becomes available.

Subsequent to our first record, nine months later (June 2016) a petrel captured during mist netting at Santa Cruz Island (southern California) was identified as a Jouanin’s Petrel. It may or may not have been the same individual we saw in September 2015.

Jouanin’s Petrel occurs widely offshore in the Arabian Sea and Gulfs of Aden and Oman, where it is the commonest pelagic seabird. It has showed up as a vagrant off Australia, Kenya, Seychelles, Saudi Arabia, and other places. BirdLife lists this species as Near Threatened. There are about 4 records for Hawaii.

If you’d like to read an interesting and fun tale about Jouanin’s Petrels, I recommend this article by my friend, Bob Flood:
http://www.rarebirdalert.co.uk/v2/Content/Scilly_Pelagics_Jouanins_Petrels.aspx?s_id=746315633 <http://www.rarebirdalert.co.uk/v2/Content/Scilly_Pelagics_Jouanins_Petrels.aspx?s_id=746315633>

HISTORY OF OFFSHORE MONTEREY ALBACORE TRIPS:

The “albacore, offshore Monterey” pelagic trip was invented by Debi Shearwater back in 1983. During the 1980’s albacore, a type of tuna, regularly occurred off Monterey Bay. Reports from fishermen of incredible seabird activity prompted me to begin offering these 12 hour trips. The purpose of this trip was to present a wholistic approach to enjoying marine life. To that end, we endeavored to search for key seabirds, including Craveri’s, Scripps’s, and Guadalupe Murrelets; blue and Baird’s Beaked whales; and to catch albacore, the “cadillac” of the tunas. We never dreamed these trips would turn out to produce so many incredible seabird records. Even though the albacore changed their migration pattern and rarely occur off Monterey nowadays, we continue to operate albacore trips. These trips always sell out in advance.

Other rare, or very uncommon seabirds we have discovered on Shearwater Journeys’ past albacore trips have included: Laysan Albatross; Cook’s and Hawaiian Petrels; Streaked, Flesh-footed, Greater, and Manx Shearwaters; Least and Leach’s Storm-Petrels; Red-billed and Red-tailed Tropicbirds; Brown Booby; Craveri’s, Scripps’s, and Guadalupe Murrelets. This is a spectacular trip for jaegers, often encountering over 100 in one day! We almost always have a “grand slam” on Pomarine, Parasitic, and Long-tailed Jaegers, Long-tailed being the most commonly sighted. It is the single best trip to see South Polar Skua.

Our September 9, 2017 Albacore trip indeed found all of the jaegers, South Polar Skua; Guadalupe, Scripps’s, and Craveri’s Murrelets, and many of the “regular” fall species. Northern Waterthrush and American Redstart were “bonus” birds.

OUR UPCOMING ALBACORE: OFFSHORE MONTEREY TRIPS:
SUN. SEP. 9
SAT. SEP. 15

See our complete schedule for 2018:
http://www.shearwaterjourneys.com/schedule.html <http://www.shearwaterjourneys.com/schedule.html>

Past trip reports:
Oct. 6, 2001 with STREAKED SHEARWATER and Black-throated Gray Warbler:
http://www.shearwaterjourneys.com/ag011006.html <http://www.shearwaterjourneys.com/ag011006.html>
Sep. 15, 2002 with 42 LONG-TAILED JAEGERS and murrelets:
http://www.shearwaterjourneys.com/020913.html <http://www.shearwaterjourneys.com/020913.html>
Sep. 10, 2006 with ten FLESH-FOOTED SHEARWATERS and 1500+ Buller’s Shearwaters:
http://www.shearwaterjourneys.com/ag060910.htm <http://www.shearwaterjourneys.com/ag060910.htm>
Sep. 13, 2008 with 7000 ASHY STORM-PETRELS:
http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2008/09/shearwater-birthday-birding-sep-13-2008.html <http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2008/09/shearwater-birthday-birding-sep-13-2008.html>
Sep. 12, 2009 with 24 COOK’S PETRELS and one HAWAIIAN PETREL:
http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2009/09/trip-report-sep-12-2009-monterey.html <http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2009/09/trip-report-sep-12-2009-monterey.html>

I gratefully thank all of the leaders and especially, the participants from near and far —representing 14 different states in the USA and Canada and Brazil. Without you, the participants, we have nothing. Special thanks to the many photographers on board who sent their images, and to the reviewers who worked on this amazing record.

Now check that box!
What’s next?
Still discovering first North American records after 40 years of trips!
Debi Shearwater

DEBRA SHEARWATER
Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
PO Box 190
Hollister, CA 95024
831.637.8527
<debi...> <mailto:<debi...>
www.shearwaterjourneys.com <http://www.shearwaterjourneys.com/>
www.shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com <http://www.shearwaterjourneys.blogspot..com/>

Celebrating 43 Years of Seabirding with Shearwater Journeys

Back to top

Date: 4/11/18 7:11 pm
From: Kimball Garrett <kgarrett...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] News from the California Bird Records Committee
Birders,

The California Bird Records Committee recently reached decisions on two significant records that may interest California birders. The record of an Oriental Greenfinch (Chloris sinica) in Arcata, Humboldt County, 4 Dec 1986 3 Apr 1987, was deliberated during four rounds of voting between 1988 and 1992. The committee ultimately did not accept the record on the grounds of questionable natural occurrence (see http://wfopublications.org/Rare_Birds/SUPPLEMENTAL/Supplemental.html), although several members at the time indicated that the record should be reconsidered if a pattern of vagrancy to North America away from the western Aleutians were to develop. Based on more recent records from St. Paul Island in Alaska and southwestern British Columbia, the committee recently voted to re-evaluate the Arcata record, and it has been accepted. This species is moved from the Supplemental List to the official California list, which now stands at 669 species.

In addition, the committee accepted a record of Jouanins Petrel (Bulweria fallax) 16 km off Strawberry Beach, Santa Cruz County, 12 Sep 2015. Although Jouanins Petrel had already been added to the state list based on acceptance of the individual on Santa Barbara Island, Santa Barbara County, 1 Jun 2016, the Santa Cruz County individual becomes the first/earliest state record of the species.

Additional details of both records will be published in an upcoming CBRC report.

Kimball L. Garrett

[occasional CBRC spokesperson]
Ornithology Collections Manager
900 Exposition Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90007 USA
(213) 763-3368
<kgarrett...>

Back to top
Date: 4/11/18 9:22 am
From: Wim van Dam <wim.van.dam...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Fulvous Whistling Duck, Santa Barbara County
FYI: Last Monday a Fulvous Whistling Duck was found at Lake Los Carneros,
Santa Barbara County. As of Wednesday morning, it is still there. It has no
bands, intact toes, and does not come to feeding people.

For details, see
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/sbcobirding/conversations/messages

Wim van Dam
Solvang, CA

Back to top
Date: 4/3/18 1:57 pm
From: Thomas Benson <tbenson...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] CBRC review and request for documentation
California birders,

The California Bird Records Committee (CBRC) will begin reviewing the following records in early May. If you have any documentation to submit for these records, please do so as soon as possible. Feel free to forward this request to local listservs as appropriate. Thank you.

Tom

Thomas A. Benson
Secretary, California Bird Records Committee

2017-139 Garganey 25 Nov 2017-11 Mar 2018 Waller Park SBA (documentation from 5 observers - additional documentation requested)
2017-142 Black-headed Gull 27 Nov 2017 Pt. Pinos MTY (documentation complete)
2017-143 Black-headed Gull 5-9 Dec 2017 North Shore RIV (eBird reports - no documentation received)
2017-154 Black-headed Gull 9 Dec 2017 Modesto WTP STA (eBird report - no documentation received)
2018-022 Black-tailed Gull 11 Feb-11 Mar 2018 Crescent City DN (documentation from 5 observers - additional documentation requested)
2017-175 Arctic Loon 16 Dec 2017 Pt. Pinos MTY (documentation complete)
2018-015 Arctic Loon 26 Jan-18 Feb 2018 Abbotts Lagoon MRN (documentation from 3 observers - additional documentation requested)
2018-021 Arctic Loon 2 Feb 2018 Steamer Lane SCZ (documentation complete)
2017-155 Nazca Booby (4) 11 Dec 2017-present San Diego Bay SD (documentation from 15 observers - additional documentation requested)
2018-010 Nazca Booby 16 Jan 2018 near Ocean Beach SD (documentation complete)
2017-094 Tricolored Heron (2) 25 Sep 2017-present Bolsa Chica ORA (documentation from 7 observers - additional documentation requested)
2017-096 Tricolored Heron 25-26 Sep 2017 Santa Ana R. ORA (documentation from 2 observers - additional documentation requested)
2017-113 Black Vulture 14-22 Oct 2017 Pt. Reyes MRN (eBird reports - no documentation received)
2018-016 Gyrfalcon 3 Feb-4 Mar 2018 Pajaro R. mouth MTY/SCZ (documentation from 7 observers - additional documentation requested)
2018-011 Winter Wren 2 Jan-20 Feb 2018 Pt. San Pablo CC (documentation from 1 observer - additional documentation requested)
2018-014 Winter Wren 28 Jan 2018 Orr Ranch SAC (eBird report - no documentation received)
2018-009 Curve-billed Thrasher 6 Jan-18 Feb 2018 Woodland YOL (documentation from 9 observers - additional documentation requested)
2018-013 Field Sparrow 26 Jan 2018 Half Moon Bay SM (eBird report - no documentation received)
2017-168 Louisiana Waterthrush 23 Dec 2017-14 Jan 2018 Big Sur R.. MTY (documentation from 2 observers - additional documentation requested)
2018-001 Tropical Parula 5 Jan-14 Feb 2018 Huntington Beach ORA (documentation from 11 observers - additional documentation requested)

What kind of documentation should one submit to the CBRC? Following are some guidelines for submitting media and written descriptions that will be useful for helping the CBRC evaluate records and archive documentation. Documentation may be submitted directly to the secretary via email (<secretary...><mailto:<secretary...>) , or by using the online submission form (http://www.californiabirds.org/report_sighting.html)..

Media: This includes photos, audio recordings, and video. Photographs are usually the most useful documentation for evaluating records. If you have reasonably good (=identifiable) photos, please submit them. If possible, please crop the photos before submission so that the bird fills most of the frame. Also, please send originals whenever possible, and not screenshots or back-of-camera photos. How many photos should you submit? That really depends on the record. If it is a long-staying rarity that is easily identifiable and seen by dozens of people, then a few photos (1-3 per person) are sufficient. If it is a mega-rarity that is difficult to identify and only seen by a one or few people, then send as many photos as possible that show the bird at different angles, postures, lighting, etc. Sometimes it is also useful to submit audio and/or video recordings of the bird, as some birds are more easily identified by their vocalizations. If relatively short, most audio recordings are small enough to be submitted via email; please submit those along with a brief note indicating the date and location of the recording. Large audio files and video files can be submitted by using a file sharing service; please contact the secretary if you need to submit a file that is too large for email.

Written descriptions: Some written details should always be provided - even the best photos should be accompanied by the name of the observer, the date, and the location, at a minimum. Sometimes a photo can't be obtained or vocalizations can't be recorded. In some cases, behaviors might be noted in the field that aren't preserved well by photos. In these cases, it is helpful to submit a written description of the bird. Ideally, this description should be written as soon after observing the bird as possible; it is often helpful to make written notes in the field, or even dictate notes into the voice recorder on your smartphone while observing the bird, from which you can later generate a written description. The most important aspect of a written description is that you report only what you observed, and not a general description of the bird from a field guide. At a minimum, your description should include the date and location of the observation, and a description of the bird (size and structure, plumage, vocalizations, behavior). A brief discussion of how the bird was identified, and how similar species were eliminated is also helpful. Other useful information you might report includes optics used, distance from bird, lighting or weather conditions, length of time viewed, and other observers present.

Back to top
Date: 4/3/18 9:36 am
From: <thespeckledhatchback...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] First quarter 2018 bird photos (24 total)
If you are among the 2 people that actually read my blog, then some of these might look familiar. For everyone else, these will be new. Enjoy.....
http://www.dorianandersonphotography.com/Recent-Work/ http://www.dorianandersonphotography.com/Recent-Work/

Cheers
Dorian Anderson
San Mateo

Back to top
Date: 4/2/18 4:18 pm
From: Janet Leonard <jlleonar...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [CALBIRDS] Malibu Lagoon hosts extremely rare Asian bird
It is now April 2; not April !

Jan Leonard

On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 1:51 PM, Chuck & Lillian <misclists...>
[CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> wrote:

> In case you missed yesterday's report, you can catch up with it here.
> The fabulous sighting of Ehler's Sandhopper-Warbler.
> https://smbasblog.com/2018/04/01/malibu-lagoon-hosts-
> extremely-rare-asian-bird/
>
> Chuck Almdale
> North Hills, Ca.

Back to top
Date: 4/2/18 2:04 pm
From: Chuck & Lillian <misclists...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
In case you missed yesterday's report, you can catch up with it here.
The fabulous sighting of Ehler's Sandhopper-Warbler.
https://smbasblog.com/2018/04/01/malibu-lagoon-hosts-extremely-rare-asian-bird/

Chuck Almdale
North Hills, Ca.

Listowners: mailto:<CALBIRDS-owner...>

Turn off email delivery: mailto:<CALBIRDS-nomail...>
Resume email delivery: mailto:<CALBIRDS-normal...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
<CALBIRDS-digest...>
<CALBIRDS-fullfeatured...>

<CALBIRDS-unsubscribe...>

Back to top
Date: 3/28/18 6:32 pm
From: <adboro...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Groove-Billed Ani
I noticed there were no photos of the Groove-billed Ani in the albums so I added one for posterity. I took the photo on 20 Nov 2017 at Encinitas Community Park. Seems like everyone embedded their photos of the bird in their personal link pages when they posted there messages.

Regards, Al Borodayko
Cypress, CA.

Join us on Facebook!