calbirds
Received From Subject
8/20/18 5:42 am Paul Lehman <lehman.paul...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] San Diego pelagic: LAYSAN, 2 new RED-FOOTED & new MASKED Boobies, 12 Craveri's, S.P. Skua, B-f Albatross
8/19/18 6:52 pm Paul Lehman <lehman.paul...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Red-footed booby on a fishing boat at Point Loma harbor
8/17/18 3:40 pm Paul Lehman <lehman.paul...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] offshore San Diego: RED-FOOTED & MASKED Boobies, Least Stormies, Craveri's, Long-taileds
8/17/18 8:25 am Tom Benson <Thomasabenson...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Hudsonian Godwit at Kramer Jct (already gone)
8/16/18 10:19 am 'Alvaro Jaramillo' <chucao...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Farallons trip report - Horned Puffin and more.
8/7/18 6:19 pm Chris Dean <chrisanndean...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Re: Nazca eBird list
8/6/18 9:55 am David Pereksta <pereksta...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Re: Nazca Booby at Ventura County line beach
8/3/18 4:48 pm <sonomanature...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Optics Festival - Sept 8 (10AM - 4PM)
8/2/18 2:17 pm Tom Benson <Thomasabenson...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] August 25 pelagic trip to Tanner and Cortez Banks
8/2/18 9:46 am Bob Barnes <bbarnes...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Violet-crowned Hummingbird Aug 1st
8/1/18 9:42 am Thomas Benson <tbenson...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] CBRC review and request for documentation
7/27/18 12:45 pm DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Beat the Heat on a Pelagic Trip
7/25/18 11:24 pm <stevestump...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Audio call ID help
7/25/18 9:26 pm 'Lethaby, Nick' <nlethaby...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Lake Los Carneros, SBA Co. July 23, 2018
7/24/18 11:19 pm Joyce Waterman <jseawaterman...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> Re: [CALBIRDS] Parakeet Auklet?
7/24/18 10:41 pm Butch Carter <carterbutch...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Parakeet Auklet?

Back to top
Date: 8/20/18 5:42 am
From: Paul Lehman <lehman.paul...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] San Diego pelagic: LAYSAN, 2 new RED-FOOTED & new MASKED Boobies, 12 Craveri's, S.P. Skua, B-f Albatross
The 12-hour pelagic trip from San Diego on Sunday, 19 August, out as far
as the 30-Mile Bank aboard GRANDE and sponsored by Buena Vista Audubon
Society was wildly successful for quality birds. Best for San Diego
waters was the LAYSAN ALBATROSS that plopped down near the boat only
10.5 nm WSW of Sunset Cliffs (Point Loma), on our way back in. Before
that, the best birds had been yet another, new RED-FOOTED BOOBY 24.4 nm
WSW of La Jolla, also sitting on the water near the boat, and a close
fly-by sub-adult MASKED BOOBY at the "182" site on the 30-Mile Bank.
(Both of these birds were recognizably DIFFERENT from the ones we saw in
the same general waters just two days earlier!!) At the end of the day,
we heard that yet another RED-FOOTED BOOBY was riding along on another
fishing boat, so we met that boat at the mouth of the bay and enjoyed
following that bird back to the dock! Combined with the 3 BROWN BOOBIES
seen, we had a three-booby day. A BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS made repeated
passes close to the boat out at the 30-Mile, where there was also a
distant SOUTH POLAR SKUA.  And a total of 12 (6 pairs) of flighty
CRAVERI'S MURRELETS were tallied, all well offshore.  A BLACK TERN was
seen by some, as was a WHITE-WINGED DOVE as we left the dock in the
early morning. Photos of many of these birds will undoubtedly be posted
by others. Offshore totals for the trip included:

LAYSAN ALBATROSS:  1

BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS:  1

Pink-footed Shearwater:  90

Sooty Shearwater:  2

Black-vented Shearwater:  300

Black Storm-Petrel:  350

Ashy Storm-Petrel:  4

Leach's Storm-Petrel:  15  (high)

Least Storm-Petrel:  0  (a couple "maybe's" that were not seen well
enough or photo'd)

MASKED BOOBY:  1

Brown Booby:  3

RED-FOOTED BOOBY:  2

Red-necked Phalarope:  50

Red Phalarope:  200

Pomarine Jaeger:  5

Parasitic Jaeger:  2

Long-tailed Jaeger:  1

CRAVERI'S MURRELET:  12

Cassin's Auklet:  6

Sabine's Gull:  10

BLACK TERN:  1

WHITE-WINGED DOVE:  1

Blue Whale:  1

The next San Diego pelagic trips are scheduled for 23 September and 21
October.  See sandiegopelagics.com for more information.

--Paul Lehman and leader contingent, San Diego

Listowners: mailto:<CALBIRDS-owner...>

Turn off email delivery: mailto:<CALBIRDS-nomail...>
Resume email delivery: mailto:<CALBIRDS-normal...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
<CALBIRDS-digest...>
<CALBIRDS-fullfeatured...>

<CALBIRDS-unsubscribe...>

Back to top
Date: 8/19/18 6:52 pm
From: Paul Lehman <lehman.paul...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Red-footed booby on a fishing boat at Point Loma harbor
A red-footed booby has been riding on the bow of the sport fishing boat Liberty since yesterday in San Diego Bay harbor all the way to the Coronados islands and now back to San Diego Harbor as of 7 p. M. on Sunday. The boat is moored at Fisherman's Landing at Point Loma which is one Landing north of Point Loma Sportfishing.

the San Diego pelagic trip on Sunday was excellent with many good birds, including another, new red-footed booby and a new masked booby and a laysan albatross and 10 Craveri's.

Paul Lehman, San Diego

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

Back to top
Date: 8/17/18 3:40 pm
From: Paul Lehman <lehman.paul...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] offshore San Diego: RED-FOOTED & MASKED Boobies, Least Stormies, Craveri's, Long-taileds
Several of us headed offshore on Friday the 17th from San Diego for 7+
hours out to the 30-Mile Bank and return. Some good birds found, some
late-summer specialties, and some dead zones. Totals offshore included:

RED-FOOTED BOOBY:  a dark-morph bird flew right by the boat 25.9 nm W of
La Jolla. Photos.  This bird looks very much like the bird(s) seen a
week or so ago both at the end of the Mission Bay Jetty and offshore
from a whalewatch boat (but which was much closer to shore than our bird).

MASKED BOOBY:  a near-adult was sitting on the water also near the
30-Mile Bank, some 23.1 nm W of Point Loma.  Photos.  It seems as
though, as of late, that Masked has become rarer than Nazca off CA....

Least Storm-Petrel:  total of 8, all at or near the 30-Mile Bank. None
closer to shore.

Craveri's Murrelet:  total of 6 (plus 2 murrelet sp.), all pairs at or
near the 30-Mile Bank

Long-tailed Jaeger:  2 juveniles, one only 6.6 nm W of La Jolla, and the
other out at the 30-Mile Bank where more typical

Other species seen:

Pink-footed Shearwater:  25

Sooty Shearwater:  1

Black-vented Shearwater:  50

Ashy Storm-Petrel:  total of ca. 30 birds is quite high for this late in
the season off San Diego;  peak numbers often in late May and June

Black Storm-Petrel:  total of 1800 included 1600 in several rafts on
30-Mile Bank

Cassin's Auklet:  3

Pomarine Jaeger:  3

Parasitic Jaeger:  1

Red Phalarope:  100+

Red-necked Phalarope:  40

Sabine's Gull:  3  (incl. 1 juv.)

Western Gull:  50

Elegant Tern:  25

The next scheduled pelagic trip off San Diego is this coming Sunday, but
it is sold out. The next trip after that is in latter September and
still has space. See sandiegopelagics.com for more information.

--Paul Lehman and group,  San Diego

Date: 8/17/18 8:25 am
From: Tom Benson <Thomasabenson...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Hudsonian Godwit at Kramer Jct (already gone)
At about 8 AM this morning (Aug 17) I found a juvenile Hudsonian Godwit at Kramer Junction solar ponds. Unfortunately it flew off about 5 minutes later, and I followed it until it disappeared to the east. The only other bird of note here was a Pectoral Sandpiper.
Tom Benson San Bernardino, CA

Back to top
Date: 8/16/18 10:19 am
From: 'Alvaro Jaramillo' <chucao...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Farallons trip report - Horned Puffin and more.
Calbirders

A late report of our double header to the Farallon Islands this weekend,
out of Half Moon Bay. Saturday was sunny, Sunday foggy and a bit choppier.
On Saturday we happened to luck out on the arrival day of a female Brown
Booby, the first which has been on the Farallons this season, this bird was
also there on Sunday. The Northern Gannet was seen on both days as we moved
north along the coast, on Egg Rock (Devil's Slide). The big highlight on
Saturday was youth birder Jonah Benningfield spotting an adult Horned
Puffin, which we were able to see flying around and then swimming. We were
able to communicate the sighting to the biologists on the island, and they
were real happy as it was a lifer for some of the team. The bird was not
there on Sunday, and I have heard of no positive reports since then. On
Sunday a Scripps's Murrelet was the 8th alcid species for us this weekend,
Marbled Murrelets near shore have been reliable this year. Interestingly,
yesterday we spotted a Scripps's Murrelet in Pillar Point Harbor, the first
anyone can recall around here from land. Given how reliable this species has
been here this season thus far, and this land based observation, I do wonder
if they are being pushed in higher numbers out our way this year, and if
some food issue may be happening? Ashy Storm-Petrels were found in a nice
concentration near the island, with a couple of Fork-tailed Storm-Petrels.
Good numbers of shearwaters, phalaropes, and Black-footed Albatross on both
trips. The Northern Fulmar numbers continue to be higher than usual. All
three jaegers were found during the weekend, as well as a nice South Polar
Skua on the Sunday. Note that Farallon biologists saw a Hawaiian Petrel on
Friday flying by the island. Humpback Whales were off the hook on Saturday,
an awesome display of lunge feeding.

Photos of puffin and booby here:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47791646

So a great couple of island trips, and we are looking forward to our
offshore pelagics (Saturday out of Half Moon Bay has spaces) this weekend
which will allow us to sample more deep water than in the Farallon trips.
http://alvarosadventures.com/boat-trips/pelagics/ . For southern
Californians, on Sept 22 we have a trip heading out of Avila Beach (Morro
Bay).

Good birding.

Alvaro

Alvaro Jaramillo

<mailto:<alvaro...> <alvaro...>

www.alvarosadventures.com

Back to top
Date: 8/7/18 6:19 pm
From: Chris Dean <chrisanndean...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Re: Nazca eBird list
Hi,

The same Nazca Booby is now at Leo Carrillo State Beach, along SE shoreline. 11:43am, Aug. 7.

Chris Dean
Silver Lake

Sent from my iPhone

Date: 8/6/18 9:55 am
From: David Pereksta <pereksta...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Re: Nazca Booby at Ventura County line beach
Nazca is on the beach across from the Neptune's Net restaurant. It was preening when I got here and apparently ate a fish just before that, but it is now laying down. Not sure if it is healthy. We are keeping people and dogs away, but may want to get here soon.

Dave Pereksta
Ventura

Sent from my iPhone

Date: 8/3/18 4:48 pm
From: <sonomanature...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Optics Festival - Sept 8 (10AM - 4PM)
Fifteen leading binocular and scope companies from across the U.S. will be on display, demonstrating and selling the newest binocular and telescope technology. The event is in Sonoma California on Saturday, Sept 8th (10AM-4PM) at the Sonoma Plaza Barracks, 20 East Spain Street, Sonoma, CA. 95476. This is the only time all the major vendors come together in Northern California. The event is celebrating its 7th year joined by many nature non-profits and artists from Mendocino to Monterey. For more information contact 415-302-5601 or sonomanature.org http://sonomanature.org. This public event is free and open to the birding and nature community and the general public.

tom rusert
sonoma, ca

Back to top
Date: 8/2/18 2:17 pm
From: Tom Benson <Thomasabenson...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] August 25 pelagic trip to Tanner and Cortez Banks

Birders,

I have organized a pelagic trip to the Cortez and Tanner Banks at the end of this month. The basic details are: departure from Dana Point aboard the R/V Sea Explorer, leaving at 1 AM and returning at 9 PM on Saturday, August 25 (20 hours); there are NO bunks or full galley on board, but possibly enough room to sleep on the floor or benches inside (plenty of room outside). The per person cost is $200, and there are only TWO spaces remaining.

This should be an excellent opportunity to see species like Black-footed Albatross, Leach's Storm-Petrel, Red-billed Tropicbird, Craveri's Murrelet, Arctic Tern, South Polar Skua, and Long-tailed Jaeger. It is also a good opportunity to look for rare species such as Cook's and Hawaiian Petrels, Townsend's Storm-Petrel, Least Storm-Petrel, and Guadalupe Murrelet. On July 15 a trip from Ventura to nearby waters recorded nearly 100 Cook's Petrels, Tristram's Storm-Petrel, Wedge-rumped Storm-Petrel, two Nazca Boobies, Long-tailed Jaeger, South Polar Skua, Sabine's Gull, and Black, Ashy, and Leach's Storm-Petrels. Additionally, three Townsend's Storm-Petrels were photographed on a trip out of San Diego on July 29.

If you are interested in going or have any questions, please email me back (off list) and I will send you additional details and/or payment information.

Tom Benson
San Bernardino, CA
thomasabenson AT aol.com

Back to top
Date: 8/2/18 9:46 am
From: Bob Barnes <bbarnes...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Violet-crowned Hummingbird Aug 1st
Hi,

Kern River Preserve Manager reed Tollefson reports seeing the Violetc-crowned Hummingbird at the HQ yardfeeders yesterday, Aug 1 with the following comment, "It’s still here at feeders on occasion." This individual is now a July 7-August 1, 2019, 26 day bird.

Bob Barnes, Ridgecrest, Kern County

Date: 8/1/18 9:42 am
From: Thomas Benson <tbenson...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] CBRC review and request for documentation
California birders,

The California Bird Records Committee (CBRC) will begin reviewing the following records in late August. If you have any documentation to submit for these records, please do so as soon as possible. Feel free to forward this request to local listservs as appropriate. Thank you.

Tom

Thomas A. Benson
Secretary, California Bird Records Committee

2018-002 Slaty-backed Gull 6 Jan 2018 San Gabriel River, LA (two observers, documentation complete)
2018-018 Slaty-backed Gull 5 Feb-18 Mar 2018 Marina/Pt. Pinos, MTY (documentation from 1 observer, add'l documentation requested)
2018-026 Slaty-backed Gull 1 Mar 2018 Half Moon Bay, SM (no documentation received, documentation requested)
2018-056 Slaty-backed Gull 17 Mar 2018 Don Edwards NWR, SCL (single observer, documentation complete)
2018-073 Slaty-backed Gull 18 Feb 2018 Vernalis, SJ (single observer, documentation complete)
2018-044 Glossy Ibis 13 May 2018 Susanville, LAS (single observer, documentation complete)
2018-046 Glossy Ibis (2) 24 May-19 Jul 2018 Woodland WTP, YOL (documentation from 3 observers, add'l documentation requested)
2018-072 Glossy Ibis 16 Jun 2018 Big Valley. LAS/MOD (single observer, documentation complete)

What kind of documentation should one submit to the CBRC? Following are some guidelines for submitting media and written descriptions that will be useful for helping the CBRC evaluate records and archive documentation. Documentation may be submitted directly to the secretary via email (<secretary...><mailto:<secretary...>) , or by using the online submission form (http://www.californiabirds.org/report_sighting.html)..

Media: This includes photos, audio recordings, and video. Photographs are usually the most useful documentation for evaluating records. If you have reasonably good (=identifiable) photos, please submit them. If possible, please crop the photos before submission so that the bird fills most of the frame. Also, please send originals whenever possible, and not screenshots or back-of-camera photos. How many photos should you submit? That really depends on the record. If it is a long-staying rarity that is easily identifiable and seen by dozens of people, then a few photos (1-3 per person) are sufficient. If it is a mega-rarity that is difficult to identify and only seen by a one or few people, then send as many photos as possible that show the bird at different angles, postures, lighting, etc. Sometimes it is also useful to submit audio and/or video recordings of the bird, as some birds are more easily identified by their vocalizations. If relatively short, most audio recordings are small enough to be submitted via email; please submit those along with a brief note indicating the date and location of the recording. Large audio files and video files can be submitted by using a file sharing service; please contact the secretary if you need to submit a file that is too large for email.

Written descriptions: Some written details should always be provided - even the best photos should be accompanied by the name of the observer, the date, and the location, at a minimum. Sometimes a photo can't be obtained or vocalizations can't be recorded. In some cases, behaviors might be noted in the field that aren't preserved well by photos. In these cases, it is helpful to submit a written description of the bird. Ideally, this description should be written as soon after observing the bird as possible; it is often helpful to make written notes in the field, or even dictate notes into the voice recorder on your smartphone while observing the bird, from which you can later generate a written description. The most important aspect of a written description is that you report only what you observed, and not a general description of the bird from a field guide. At a minimum, your description should include the date and location of the observation, and a description of the bird (size and structure, plumage, vocalizations, behavior). A brief discussion of how the bird was identified, and how similar species were eliminated is also helpful. Other useful information you might report includes optics used, distance from bird, lighting or weather conditions, length of time viewed, and other observers present.

Back to top
Date: 7/27/18 12:45 pm
From: DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Beat the Heat on a Pelagic Trip
Hello, CalBirders,

We are well into the sizzling days of summer and it’s a good time to think about lining up your pelagic trips.

The year 2018 marks 43 years of offering pelagic trips by Shearwater Journeys! It has been an amazing journey, to be sure. Beginning August and running until October 21, we have a full line up of seabird and offshore trips ahead. Trips depart from Monterey Bay, Half Moon Bay, and Sausalito to the Farallon Islands. Presently, all trips on our program have spaces available except the August 11, Half Moon Bay trip which is sold out. A few trips are nearly sold out.

FARALLON ISLANDS: AUGUST 5 & 12
Spaces are available on both of these trips, although only 4 spaces are open on the August 12 trip.
DEPARTURE: 7:30 am from Clipper Yacht Harbor, Sausalito. Return about 4 pm.
From Sausalito, we’ll sail under the iconic Golden Gate Bridge on a spotlessly clean, stable catamaran with excellent deck space to see the largest breeding seabird colony south of Alaska. Absolutely teeming with seabirds, the past few years we’ve also encountered NORTHERN GANNET, BROWN and BLUE-FOOTED BOOBIES. We have a 100% success rate finding many amazing TUFTED PUFFINS, up close and personal. We’ll head out to the edge of the Continental Shelf to look for albatross and other seabirds, and whales. Great photo ops of not only the seabirds, but also the Golden Gate Bridge— from below.
One trip report can be found here:
http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2014/08/farallon-islands-august-3-2014-trip.html <http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2014/08/farallon-islands-august-3-2014-trip.html>
http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2013/08/trip-report-august-4-2013-farallon.html <http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2013/08/trip-report-august-4-2013-farallon.html>

MONTEREY BAY: AUG. 3, 24, 31; SEP. 7, 8, 14, 16, 28, 29, 30; OCT. 6, 13, 21..
For four decades we have offered seabird trips at Monterey Bay, recording some of the most amazing records not only for California, but also first records for North America. August is a great time to get out for the early fall migrants, especially Arctic Tern and Sabine’s Gull. It is also one of the best months for HAWAIIAN PETREL which we found on our August 25, 2017 Monterey trip. I have seen at least 10 Hawaiian Petrels during August.
DEPARTURE: 7:00 am from Chris’ Fishing Shop, Fisherman’s Wharf, Monterey. Return about 3 pm.
There is almost no finer place than Monterey Bay to see the best variety of seabirds and marine mammals during the fall season.

**PLEASE NOTE: AUGUST 3 we shall be searching for COOK’S PETRELS as 100+ were found on the recent Ventura pelagic trip. When this happened in 2009, we had a great time with Cook’s Petrels also showing up on our Monterey trips. It was a record year.
Trip reports of 2009 and the Cook’s Petrel “invasion.”
http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2009/08/monterey-bay-cooks-july-31-2009-story.html <http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2009/08/monterey-bay-cooks-july-31-2009-story.html>
http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2009/08/still-cookin-chase-on.html <http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2009/08/still-cookin-chase-on.html>
http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2009/08/monterey-bay-nearshore-cooks-petrels.html <http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2009/08/monterey-bay-nearshore-cooks-petrels.html>

MONTEREY BAY: OFFSHORE ALBACORE: SEP. 9 & 15.
We invented the albacore trip nearly thirty years ago. Always a sell out, this is the single hottest selling trip on our program— and with good reason. We have scored a number of “first records” including JOUANIN’S PETREL, STREAKED SHEARWATER, RED-TAILED and RED-BILLED TROPICBIRDS. This is the best trip to search for GUADALUPE and CRAVERI’S MURRELETS, all three jaeger species, SOUTH POLAR SKUA, and blue whales. Please note: There was a misprint on my postcard mailer for the SEPTEMBER 9 DATE— it is an albacore trip, not a bay trip. Spaces are available on September 9, but only 2spaces are available for September 15.

More about the Albacore trips:
http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2015/07/about-albacore-offshore-monterey-trip.html <http://shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com/2015/07/about-albacore-offshore-monterey-trip.html>

HALF MOON BAY: AUG. 11 (SOLD OUT); SEP. 22, 23; OCT. 13.
We have a long history of being the first to offer pelagic trips departing from HMB. Expect the regular fall migrants with a chance to see Marbled Murrelet and possibly, the Northern Gannet. Rarities we have seen include: SALVIN’S ALBATROSS, WHITE-CHINNED PETREL, and several times, HAWAIIAN PETREL.

COUNTY BIRDING: Usually, we cover at least two counties on each trip. So, for county birders, that’s a good thing. Some of our Monterey trips have a special focus in Santa Cruz County— a very difficult county for ticking seabirds.

RESERVATIONS: To make a reservation on a trip that is close to sold out (which includes: Aug. 12; Sep. 7, 15), please email Debi: <debi...> <mailto:<debi...>.

CHUMMING: Shearwater Journeys has been collecting data on seabirds in the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary for over 40 years. This unique data set provides information on potentially substantial changes in seabird populations over time, in this area. To ensure continued collection of data on seabirds in the sanctuary using consistent methodology, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has reissued a research permit to use fish and squid-based seabird attractants (chum) within the sanctuary boundaries. This year, the permit was expanded to include our departures from Half Moon Bay. The Sanctuary recognizes the potential research importance of data collected by researchers on birder-based pelagic trips. We shall be chumming on all Monterey Bay and Half Moon Bay trips this season and in 2019.. You, as a participant, will be actively engaged in collection of data. Thank you, in advance.

Seabirding for Science,
Debi Shearwater

DEBRA SHEARWATER
Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
PO Box 190
Hollister, CA 95024
831.637.8527
<debi...>
www.shearwaterjourneys.com
www.shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com

Celebrating 43 Years of Seabirding with Shearwater Journeys

Back to top
Date: 7/25/18 11:24 pm
From: <stevestump...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Audio call ID help
7/25/2018 7:12 PM

On the night of July 18th two of us birders in Lassen County were in Papoose Meadows looking for Yellow Rail. It was nearing dark and we were knocking rocks to solicit a response. We had either a Sora "Keep" call or a Yellow Rail "squeak" call (or something else) that we were unable to narrow down. Any input to this call would be appreciated. The recording is on our checklist. Thanks, Steve Stump

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47293355 https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47293355

Back to top
Date: 7/25/18 9:26 pm
From: 'Lethaby, Nick' <nlethaby...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Lake Los Carneros, SBA Co. July 23, 2018
All,

I checked out Lake Los Carneros in Goleta on Monday for about 25 minutes. 3 Red-tailed Pennants were the highlight, although this species seems firmly established along the south coast of the county now. Blue Dashers were common but didn't see any other odes except for a damsel sp. Flame Skimmers have become much rarer at this location during the drought and this year seems terrible for migrant odes. I did have 1-2 of both saddlebags here a couple of weeks ago, but I am not sure I have seen a glider all summer!

Nick Lethaby
Goleta, CA 93117

Office: 805 562 5106
Mobile: 805 284 6200
Email: <nlethaby...>

Back to top
Date: 7/24/18 11:19 pm
From: Joyce Waterman <jseawaterman...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [CALBIRDS] Parakeet Auklet?
Butch and all,

Parakeet Auklet spotted today (7-24) around noon from Lands End overlook. Flew in, swam and rolled with and dunked under the swells, then flew off about 15 minutes later.
https://flic.kr/p/26HgYWA

Joyce Waterman
Novato, CA

Sent from my iPad

> On Jul 22, 2018, at 8:41 AM, Butch Carter <carterbutch...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> wrote:
>
> Does anyone know if Parakeet Auklet is still at Lands End? There are no reports since the 19th.
>
> Thank You
> Butch Carter
> Santa Ysabel, California

Back to top
Date: 7/24/18 10:41 pm
From: Butch Carter <carterbutch...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Parakeet Auklet?
Does anyone know if Parakeet Auklet is still at Lands End? There are no reports since the 19th.
   Thank You   Butch Carter   Santa Ysabel, California

Join us on Facebook!