calbirds
Received From Subject
7/19/24 1:47 pm <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...> [CALBIRDS] Siberian Pipits ID and caution
7/19/24 12:00 pm Thomas Benson via groups.io <tbenson...> [CALBIRDS] SIBERIAN PIPITS: request for documentation
7/15/24 8:51 pm Aidan Sinha via groups.io <aidansinha...> [CALBIRDS] White Wagtail and Tropical Parula in Los Angeles County
7/15/24 11:33 am <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...> [CALBIRDS] STREAKED SHEARWATER, more on Frigatebirds
7/6/24 7:58 pm <tgmiko...> via groups.io <tgmiko...> Re: [CALBIRDS] RFI Veery
7/6/24 7:31 pm <tgmiko...> via groups.io <tgmiko...> [CALBIRDS] RFI Veery
6/30/24 12:27 pm Aidan Sinha via groups.io <aidansinha...> [CALBIRDS] Eastern Wood-Pewee reports

Back to top
Date: 7/19/24 1:47 pm
From: <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Siberian Pipits ID and caution
With the very recent split of Siberian Pipit (formerly A. r. japonicus) will now come the 'frenzy' to see one in California and up and down the West Coast. For what it's worth, I spent a month or more for about 20 falls in a row at Gambell, Alaska, which is arguably the best place in North America to see Siberian Pipit, including alongside regular American Pipits (A. r. pacificus). Siberian Pipit is a very uncommon fall migrant there, and it is rare to very rare in spring. In a typical fall I'd see perhaps 7-12 Siberians, low single digits in a bad year, and up to 30-35 in the best years. Such variation in numbers is also shown from fall to fall by Red-throated Pipits, and there is a pretty strong correlation between the very good early falls up there with the best later falls down here in California, and vice versa re: bad years. When the pending split was announced, my initial reaction was "uh, oh." I gather the genetic evidence is pretty strong, although I hope they sampled in extreme northeast Russia, just a little west of Gambell, where there is the best chance for a notable amount of overlap between Siberian and American. Anyway, what I'd like to mention is that there are LOTS of intermediate birds in fall at Gambell (and I believe elsewhere in w. Alaska). So, like a lot of things, the extremes at either end--typical looking American and very typical looking Siberian--are fairly distinctive, but there are a whole lot of birds in the middle that are problematic. And I would typically see as many problematic birds each fall as I would "comfortable" Siberians.

Most problematic birds show many characters of Siberian, such as a thicker, blobby malar and heavier, darker streaking underneath (characters that make them somewhat Red-throated like when looking at them head on), and a grayer tone to the upperparts. But some of these birds would then show weaker wingbars than normal, the grayer upperparts were still tinged a bit with brownish, and a leg color intermediate between American and classic pinkish of Siberian (fairly similar to Red-throated)--so something like a dusky horn color. Leg color is probably the one most obvious character that often did not match up most often in these problematic birds.

So, we all wish the CBRC god's speed in dealing with what will be appearing at their doorstep in the months and years ahead. Certainly any truly acceptable record will need to have multiple characters all lining up well, and multiple photographs, as simple written details will often be too tough to evaluate and only one or two photos will not show all the needed characters and can misconstrue subtle tones of color.

--Paul Lehman, San Diego

Back to top
Date: 7/19/24 12:00 pm
From: Thomas Benson via groups.io <tbenson...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] SIBERIAN PIPITS: request for documentation
Greetings California birders,

In a few months, the California Bird Records Committee will begin reviewing historical records of Siberian Pipits (Anthus japonicus) now that the species has been split from American Pipit (Anthus rubescens) by the American Ornithological Society. The committee is already reviewing a recent record (over three winters from 2020-2022) from Griffith Park in Los Angeles County. We are aware of about 40 additional reports from various sources, all of which are listed below. Our review of these records would be greatly facilitated by the submission of documentation, including written descriptions, photos, and sketches. If you have these for any of the reports listed below, please email them to the secretary (me) or complete the online submission form (https://www.californiabirds.org/report_sighting.html). We also welcome any corrections to dates, locations, or numbers for the reports listed below, as well as documentation for reports not listed.

Please feel free to forward this request to local listservs or other group sites.

Thank you,
Tom

Thomas A. Benson
Secretary, California Bird Records Committee
<secretary...>

Date

Location County Count
10/13/1989 Lake Tolowa DN 1
10/7-18/1991

Point Reyes MRN 1-2
10/13-11/5/1991

Southeast Farallon Island
SF 3
10/25/1991 Irvine ORA 1
10/26-11/11/1991

Tijuana River Valley SD 2
11/10/1991 Bodega SON 1
11/23/1991 Mission Bay SD 1
10/29-11/3/2001

Casper Road sod fields VEN 1
11/23/2001 near Perris RIV 1
10/11/2002 Southeast Farallon Island SF 1
10/24-26/2002

Las Posas Road sod farms VEN 1
10/11-13/2003

Tijuana River Valley
SD 1
10/16/2003 Arnold Road sod fields VEN 2
10/16-26/2003

McClusky Slough fields MTY 1
11/17/2003 Moonglow Dairy MTY 1
11/22-30/2003

Kate O. Sessions Park SD 1
10/10/2004 Arnold Road sod fields VEN 1
10/13-15/2007

Salinas wtp
MTY 1
10/14/2007 Hueneme Road sod fields VEN 1
11/1/2007 Harriet M. Wieder Park ORA 1
10/29/2008
Salinas wtp
MTY 1
10/29/2008 Southeast Farallon Island SF 1
10/30/2008 Arnold Road sod fields VEN 1
10/19/2013 Oso Flaco Lake SLO 1
10/21-24/2013

Southeast Farallon Island SF 1
10/23-27/2013

MLK Jr. Regional Shoreline ALA 1
10/9-11/12/2014

Tijuana River Valley SD 1
11/1-10/2014

Zmudowski State Beach MTY 1
11/11/2014 Wilder Ranch State Park SCZ 1
10/12/2016 Southeast Farallon Island SF 1
11/24/2016 Oyster Bay Regional Shoreline ALA 1
2/11/2019
White Slough wtp
SJ 1
11/21/2019 Fiesta Island SD 1
10/14-16/2020

Arnold Road sod fields VEN 1
10/13/2022 Cock Robin Island Road HUM 1
10/14/2023
Salinas wtp
MTY 1
1/24/2024 Dry Creek Park FRE 1

Back to top
Date: 7/15/24 8:51 pm
From: Aidan Sinha via groups.io <aidansinha...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] White Wagtail and Tropical Parula in Los Angeles County
All,
Just the messenger here. Both a White Wagtail and a Tropical Parula have been reported in recent days in Los Angeles County. The wagtail was along the Los Angeles River at Rosecrans Avenue - it was found by Naresh Satyan yesterday and has continued into today (July 15). The parula (possibly the same bird from earlier this year in a new location) has been at the Angeles National Forest at the Switzers Picnic Area - it was found initially by Hai-Dang Phan and Callyn Yorke on July 4th and later refound/confirmed by Mark and Janet Scheel on the 7th (and also possibly heard by Naresh S. on June 18th prior to both sightings). It was still there today according to eBird reports. Good luck to anyone searching for these birds!

Aidan Sinha
San Jose

Back to top
Date: 7/15/24 11:33 am
From: <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] STREAKED SHEARWATER, more on Frigatebirds

First off, a bit more on frigatebirds, with the two "additional" birds this AM (15th) at La Jolla. It might have been tempting to say that the birds at the sw corner of San Diego Bay on July 13th and then "again" on July 14th were probably the same individual, but, in fact, they were clearly different. (And not yet sure how the Point Loma 14th bird fits in.) Photos show the 13th bird with nice full wings, whereas the bird on the 14th in the same area clearly has gaps in the feathering on both wings. Photos of all these various birds will be extremely helpful in trying to better get a handle of how many different individuals are involved the past several days--which likely will never be possible to do fully.

On yesterday's July 14th San Diego pelagic trip, at 2:47 PM while heading back east in the eastern San Diego Trough (16-1/2 mi WSW of Point Loma) just several observers saw a shearwater make a quick pass off the right side of the boat, in somewhat harsh lighting, and called out that they had an odd-looking Pink-footed type bird with a distinctly pale face. The bird quickly continued on and disappeared. The only person to obtain photos was Alex Abela, whose camera that day was seriously acting up, so the quality suffered somewhat. Studying the photos on the back of the camera immediately thereafter, it did appear that the bird was a very good candidate to be a Streaked Shearwater, a Japanese species that is casual in California waters, primarily off northern California and almost all from September and October, with at least a couple mid-August records, the earliest of which was on 13 August back in the 1980s way inland at Red Bluff in the northern Sacramento Valley. So this bird would be even a month earlier than that. Following a little bit of photo brightness improvement and sharing with several folks with more extensive experience with Streaked, the consensus seems to be building (unanimous so far) that the bird is indeed a Streaked Shearwater. (Thanks so far to "outside" help from Louis Bevier, Alvaro Jaramillo, and Peter Pyle.) The photos can be viewed, as long as one has Dropbox access, at:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/6dt3qd5xzwsedc2eseeaq/ADEMEIF0vE_lehC4HafeiNM?rlkey=2h0dnxdcijyq25gthq9mjpmma&dl=0

If anyone has any dissenting opinions or other helpful insight, input is welcome. Once the shared eBird checklists are available probably tomorrow (Tuesday), Alex can add a few of these photos there, for those of you without the Dropbox access.
And if anyone on yesterday's boat happened to be taking shearwater photos at around 2:47 PM, check your photos!!

--Paul Lehman, San Diego  (who barely saw the bird fairly poorly)

Back to top
Date: 7/6/24 7:58 pm
From: <tgmiko...> via groups.io <tgmiko...>
Subject: Re: [CALBIRDS] RFI Veery
Hi!
We got the Veery. I will post my eBird report in the next hour or two with
directions etc.
Thanks, Everybody!

Thomas Geza Miko
Claremont, LA County
909.241.3300
"Memory doesn't make film, it makes photos."--Milan Kundera

Date: 6/30/24 12:27 pm
From: Aidan Sinha via groups.io <aidansinha...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Eastern Wood-Pewee reports
All,
There have been a large number of Eastern Wood-Pewee reports along the California coast in June. So far, based on eBird, there have been 7:
1 in San Diego from 6/5 to 6/6, another from 6/9 to 6/12
1 in Orange County from 6/8 to 6/9
1 in Los Angeles County from 6/9 to 6/11
1 in San Francisco County on 6/11
1 in Humboldt County on 6/11
1 in Santa Cruz County on 6/29 (not present today as far as I know)

Some of these records could be of the same bird or birds moving up the coast, although it does appear that this season has been very good for them in CA. Since there was one in Santa Cruz County yesterday, they may still be in the region, so it may be worth checking for them along the coast or in other migrant traps elsewhere.

Aidan Sinha
San Jose