calbirds
Received From Subject
5/26/19 4:56 pm Kurt Radamaker <kurtradamaker...> [CALBIRDS] Pelagic County Maps
5/26/19 1:00 pm Bob Toleno <bob...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] VEERY at Zzyzx Desert Studies Center
5/16/19 11:00 am Brian Sullivan <heraldpetrel...> [CALBIRDS] Odd weather event--heads up for vagrant shorebirds!
5/16/19 10:47 am Brian Sullivan <heraldpetrel...> [CALBIRDS] Hawaiian Petrel and more from Pt. Pinos, Monterey County 16 May
5/15/19 6:49 am Brian Sullivan <heraldpetrel...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Odd weather event--heads up for vagrant shorebirds!
5/12/19 4:39 pm John Sterling <jsterling...> [CALBIRDS] Kern Neotropic cormorant
5/9/19 10:45 am Steve Stump via Groups.Io <stevestump=<yahoo.com...> Re: [NECalBirds] Checklist of the accidental birds of Lassen County
5/9/19 6:21 am Paul Lehman <lehman.paul...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] cruise-ship 8 May: Hawaiian, Laysan, Flesh-foot, Franklin's, southern puffin, cetacean show
5/8/19 7:53 pm Bradley via Groups.Io <bmspi1=<aol.com...> [NECalBirds] Checklist of the accidental birds of Lassen County
5/7/19 8:33 am <NECalBirds...> Notification <NECalBirds+<notification...> [NECalBirds] New file uploaded to
5/5/19 9:05 am Dorian Anderson <thespeckledhatchback...> [CALBIRDS] Recent photos
5/3/19 8:11 pm Paul Lehman <lehman.paul...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Ptarmigan probably phooey
5/3/19 4:26 pm David Sonneborn via Groups.Io <davidsonne=<aol.com...> Re: [CALBIRDS] Repo cruise birds
5/3/19 12:08 pm John Sterling <jsterling...> Re: [CALBIRDS] Repo cruise birds
5/3/19 11:32 am John Sterling <jsterling...> [CALBIRDS] Repo cruise birds
5/1/19 7:50 am <rjkeiffer...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] strayed Black-billed Magpie
4/30/19 8:11 pm <ohbob...> Re: [NECalBirds] Fallout
4/30/19 1:03 pm Brewbird <michele31...> Re: [NECalBirds] Fallout
4/30/19 12:42 pm Steve Stump via Groups.Io <stevestump=<yahoo.com...> Re: [NECalBirds] Fallout
4/30/19 12:37 pm Steve Stump via Groups.Io <stevestump=<yahoo.com...> Re: [NECalBirds] Fallout
4/30/19 11:53 am <ohbob...> Re: [NECalBirds] Fallout
4/30/19 11:46 am Bradley via Groups.Io <bmspi1=<aol.com...> Re: [NECalBirds] Fallout
4/30/19 11:30 am <ohbob...> Re: [NECalBirds] Fallout
4/30/19 11:20 am Brewbird <michele31...> Re: [NECalBirds] Fallout
4/30/19 9:28 am Bradley via Groups.Io <bmspi1=<aol.com...> Re: [NECalBirds] Fallout
4/30/19 8:54 am Steve Stump via Groups.Io <stevestump=<yahoo.com...> [NECalBirds] Fallout
4/29/19 6:46 pm Paul Lehman <lehman.paul...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] offshore cruise-ship 28-29 April: 18 Murphy's, 3 Laysans
4/29/19 10:47 am John Sterling <jsterling...> Re: [CALBIRDS] [LACoBirds] Red-faced Warbler
4/29/19 9:58 am Leonie Batkin <leonie.batkin23...> Re: [CALBIRDS] [LACoBirds] Red-faced Warbler
4/28/19 9:49 am Tom Benson via Groups.Io <thomasabenson=<aol.com...> Re: [CALBIRDS] [LACoBirds] Red-faced Warbler
4/28/19 8:07 am Tom Benson via Groups.Io <thomasabenson=<aol.com...> Re: [CALBIRDS] [LACoBirds] Red-faced Warbler
4/27/19 2:21 pm Tom Benson via Groups.Io <thomasabenson=<aol.com...> [CALBIRDS] Red-faced Warbler

Back to top
Date: 5/26/19 4:56 pm
From: Kurt Radamaker <kurtradamaker...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Pelagic County Maps
Considering all of the recent pelagic trip posts. I thought I would let birders know I have posted open source kmz files of my West Coast off shore county boundaries.

Now you can download the pelagic county boundaries to your mobile or desktop and create your own pelagic maps with google or bing. The files are useful (especially on mobile) when you don't have wifi, so you can still see your county with only gps satellite needed for your coordinates.

The open source downloads are at my http://birdingthecloud.com ( http://birdingthecloud.com/ ) site,  just click on the KMZ file download link or click http://birdingthecloud.com/KMZfiles.aspx

Some things on the internet are still free!!

For a comprehensive and authoritative map of county lines see Open Street Maps https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=7/36.085/-119.707
or read the wiki page at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenStreetMap Open Streets map is a collaboration of the world's most authoritative GIS experts, it is the go to organization for map questions. Especially for map geeks like me!

The open streets map has a 3 mile off shore county boundary line ( which I use on my boundary maps) and 12 miles from the outer county line for the CA state boundary. Legally the state boundary is 12 miles from the outer county line, but the CBRC reviews records 200 miles out to the Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) boundary, which is what I use to determine the county boundary beyond the 15 miles.

For more details on how I calculate the boundaries, see the About section on my ESRI Arcgis Map site. https://kurtrad.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=a56740a11a7345759af7222b67ea521b

If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Kurt Radamaker

Back to top
Date: 5/26/19 1:00 pm
From: Bob Toleno <bob...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] VEERY at Zzyzx Desert Studies Center
My wife Juli Chamberlin and i just found a VEERY at Zzyzx Desert Studies
Center in San Bernardino County. We were unable to obtain photos, because
after our initial view of it in the open on saltgrass, the bird stubbornly
stayed put in a clump of mesquite on the edge of Soda Lake. The coordinates
of that clump are:

35.1401298,-116.1039082

We got very good at the near complete lack of eye ring or spectacles,
uniform reddish brown coloration of the head, back, and tail, and almost
complete lack of spotting on the breast. I hope someone else can get photos!

Bob Toleno
Hayward

Back to top
Date: 5/16/19 11:00 am
From: Brian Sullivan <heraldpetrel...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Odd weather event--heads up for vagrant shorebirds!
Hi All

Someone pointed out that the Yahoo Group is deprecated so I'm reposting
this here for those who might not have received it from Yahoo. I still
think this system has a lot of promise for oddball birds.

Hi Everyone,

We're about to experience a fairly odd weather pattern with 2-3 significant
fronts stacked up very late in the season (http://weatherwest.com/). It
could be nothing, but it bears keeping our thoughts and eyes open for
trans-oceanic shorebirds that could be affected on their way north. Species
such as Bar-tailed Godwit and Bristle-thighed Curlew come to mind. I wasn't
living in California in 1998, but I did manage to see the Kehoe Beach
Bristle-thighed Curlew. The timing here is similar. There was a lot of
discussion then around the fallout of BTCU from California north through
Washington due to odd weather. A subsequent paper is here:

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~sbf1/papers/Mlodinow_Feldstein_Tweit_1999.pdf

In any case, it'll be an interesting week. Double-check those Whimbrel on
your local beaches!

Thanks

--
------------------------------
*Brian L. Sullivan*

*Digital Publications LeadCornell Lab of Ornithology*

Back to top
Date: 5/16/19 10:47 am
From: Brian Sullivan <heraldpetrel...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Hawaiian Petrel and more from Pt. Pinos, Monterey County 16 May
Hi All

Day 1 of crazy late May weather wasn't a disappointment at Pt. Pinos. I
suspect we might see more of this over the next week or so. Let's hope the
real NW winds materialize, which might actually push birds into the Bay.
Today they were just skirting the outside fringe of the Bay:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S56351561

Thanks

Brian

--
------------------------------

Date: 5/15/19 6:49 am
From: Brian Sullivan <heraldpetrel...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Hi Everyone,

We're about to experience a fairly odd weather pattern with 2-3 significant
fronts stacked up very late in the season. It could be nothing, but it
[...]

-------------------------------

Back to top
Date: 5/12/19 4:39 pm
From: John Sterling <jsterling...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Kern Neotropic cormorant
Just found one at the Kern water bank near Buttonwillow on private property. Second Kern and Central Valley record.
John Sterling
530 908-3836
26 Palm Ave
Woodland, CA 95695

Back to top
Date: 5/9/19 10:45 am
From: Steve Stump via Groups.Io <stevestump=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: Re: [NECalBirds] Checklist of the accidental birds of Lassen County
May 9, 2019 1044
Bradley,Thank you for uploading the very cool document.
  Steve Stump    Janesville, CA

On Wednesday, May 8, 2019, 7:53:05 PM PDT, Bradley via Groups.Io <bmspi1=<aol.com...> wrote:

The complete list of accidental species recorded in Lassen County from 1899-2019 including occurrence, observer(s) and documentation for each species.

Back to top
Date: 5/9/19 6:21 am
From: Paul Lehman <lehman.paul...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] cruise-ship 8 May: Hawaiian, Laysan, Flesh-foot, Franklin's, southern puffin, cetacean show
Cruise-ship highlights aboard the southbound “Star Princess” well off
Sonoma to Santa Barbara Counties, 8 May 2019:

The past several days off CA have  seen very light winds, and
(presumably) as a result the past several cruise-ship transects off the
coast have produced only a very few Pterodroma petrels. We had a single
Hawaiian Petrel and a Murphy’s Petrel off extreme southern Oregon on 7
May, and then 1 Hawaiian Petrel off San Francisco County (55 km WSW of
Farallones) on 8 May. Also 1 Laysan Albatross off Marin and a
Flesh-footed Shearwater off San Francisco on the 8^th . Given the very
calm conditions, good numbers of Ashy Storm-Petrels were widespread.
Unexpected was a Double-crested Cormorant circling the ship for some 30
minutes beginning some 65 km SSW of the Farallones. Also, some landbirds
aboard ship, including the proverbial flock of Eurasian Collared-Doves.
Also Sperm Whale and Orca.

Very, very few birds were off Monterey and northern SLO Counties on the
8th, but then at the end of the day we hit the mother lode of seabird
and cetacean activity off southern SLO and all of w. Santa Barbara
Counties, with 15,000 shearwaters, 40-50 Humpback Whales, pod after pod
after pod of Pacific White-sided Dolphins, and one large group of N.
Right Whale Dolphins. Unexpected was a southerly Tufted Puffin 76 km off
Morro Bay, an adult Franklin’s Gull 57 km sw. of Point Buchon, and 2
Elegant Terns 40 km off Point Arguello.

--Paul Lehman, Bruce Rideout, and group, San Diego

Back to top
Date: 5/8/19 7:53 pm
From: Bradley via Groups.Io <bmspi1=<aol.com...>

Date: 5/7/19 8:33 am
From: <NECalBirds...> Notification <NECalBirds+<notification...>
Subject: [NECalBirds] New file uploaded to
Hello,

This email message is a notification to let you know that a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the <NECalBirds...> group.

*File:* LassenCoBirdList2019.pdf

*Uploaded By:* Bradley

The latest Lassen County checklist.

You can access this file at the URL:
https://groups.io/g/NECalBirds/files/LassenCoBirdList2019.pdf

Cheers,
The Groups.io Team

Back to top
Date: 5/5/19 9:05 am
From: Dorian Anderson <thespeckledhatchback...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Recent photos
Hi Calbirders

I am currently mourning the departures of the final shorebirds and ducks from SF
and Half Moon Bays; without those, peninsula bird photography takes a big hit!

Here are a few residual frames from this spring, most notably Gary Deghi's Pacific
Loon from the Ocean Colony in HMB last week.

The gallery also contains a bunch of shorebirds from a recent speaking engagement
on the Gulf Coast and my favorites from my March New Zealand trip with my wife.

Click on the large, right hand image to see the full sized files.....

https://www.dorianandersonphotography.com/Recent-Work

Cheers,
Dorian Anderson
San Mateo, CA

Back to top
Date: 5/3/19 8:11 pm
From: Paul Lehman <lehman.paul...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Ptarmigan probably phooey

The photo looks like your typical roadside ptarmigan photo in Alaska. The plumage is correct for this time of year. But I see something about Golovin Alaska on the same page as the photo. Also note that the records of Willow ptarmigan in late spring and early summer south of the normal range are pretty much all in the eastern part of the species' range in North America and not in the West. Also today, somebody eBirded a bunch of deep-water pelagic species including Murphy's and Cooks petrels and a slug of laysan albatrossed on the Mine Mile Bank just 10 miles off San Diego, so misplotted all the sightings from a 4-day offshore cruise ship trip at this one inshore site. Such mis-information re: location being posted via eBird and inaturalist are unfortunately a somewhat regular event.

Paul Lehman, San Diego (currently in Skagway Alaska where there are Willow Ptarmigan on the roadside....)

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

Back to top
Date: 5/3/19 4:26 pm
From: David Sonneborn via Groups.Io <davidsonne=<aol.com...>
Subject: Re: [CALBIRDS] Repo cruise birds
Bill Shelmerdine and I coincidentally met up on the Oosterdam between San Diego and Vancouver. We birdied both individually and together probably averaging about 6 hours a day. The rest of the time dedicated to winged, eating, relaxing etc
All by birds were unfortunately not seen by both of us
An adult Brown Nooby coming out of San Diego
3 Hawaiian Petrels a couple of other Pterodroma sp
About 10Laysans the second day
A Parakeet Auklet In Washington waters (Bill)
Notes eventually in eBird

Dave. Sonneborn
> On May 3, 2019, at 12:08 PM, John Sterling <jsterling...> wrote:
>
> Although I’d love to discover a Murphey’s petrel we did indeed see only Murphy’s Petrels.
> John Sterling
> 530 908-3836
> 26 Palm Ave
> Woodland, CA 95695
>
>> On May 3, 2019, at 11:32 AM, John Sterling <jsterling...> wrote:
>>
>> Howdy Birders
>> Rob Fowler and I just concluded leading a tour group on a Holland America cruise from San Diego to Vancouver. Highlights were nine Laysan albatross from Monterey to San Francisco counties (and none elsewhere), Hawaiian, Cooks and Murphey’s petrels in Mendocino and Humboldt counties (3, 3 and 4, respectively) and 47 Murphey’s from central Oregon to southern Washington. 11 cetacean species including very close Sperm, Sei and Bairds Beaked whales. Northern right whale dolphins put on a show as well.
>>
>> Everyone had a great time.
>> John Sterling
>> 530 908-3836
>> 26 Palm Ave
>> Woodland, CA 95695

Back to top
Date: 5/3/19 12:08 pm
From: John Sterling <jsterling...>
Although I’d love to discover a Murphey’s petrel we did indeed see only Murphy’s Petrels.
John Sterling
530 908-3836
26 Palm Ave
Woodland, CA 95695

> On May 3, 2019, at 11:32 AM, John Sterling <jsterling...> wrote:
>
> Howdy Birders
> Rob Fowler and I just concluded leading a tour group on a Holland America cruise from San Diego to Vancouver. Highlights were nine Laysan albatross from Monterey to San Francisco counties (and none elsewhere), Hawaiian, Cooks and Murphey’s petrels in Mendocino and Humboldt counties (3, 3 and 4, respectively) and 47 Murphey’s from central Oregon to southern Washington. 11 cetacean species including very close Sperm, Sei and Bairds Beaked whales. Northern right whale dolphins put on a show as well.
>
> Everyone had a great time.
> John Sterling
> 530 908-3836
> 26 Palm Ave
> Woodland, CA 95695

Back to top

Date: 5/1/19 7:50 am
From: <rjkeiffer...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] strayed Black-billed Magpie
Mendocino County's first record of a Black-billed Magpie was observed in Westport (north coastal) on April 17... where it was briefly seen with a "possible black bill". On April 21 it, assumed same bird, was observed and photographed at Irish Beach. On April 23 it was briefly seen coming to a feeding station in Gualala 9south coastal). Even though black-billed magpies are common in the Great Basin Desert counties, this is highly unusual to have one in any of the coastal counties. It is suspected that this bird is continuing in a southerly direction at least to the Bay Area. Bob Keiffer Hopland CA <rjkeiffer...>

Back to top
Date: 4/30/19 8:11 pm
From: <ohbob...>
Subject: Re: [NECalBirds] Fallout
Thanks, Steve, I thought it was the Wastewater plant but wanted to make sure. I've been there once before and enjoyed taking pictures of the birds. I usually go out to the Honey Lake Wildlife Areas to photography the birds out there but with the price of gas I've cut down my trips. I also use the Susan River trails a lot.  I'm thinking I will get out to the WWTP something this week, maybe tomorrow. Thanks again.

Back to top
Date: 4/30/19 1:03 pm
From: Brewbird <michele31...>
Hopefully the SOSA’s will stay overnight. I’ll probably come over tomorrow.

Michele

"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." - John Muir.

> On Apr 30, 2019, at 12:42, Steve Stump via Groups.Io <stevestump=<yahoo.com...> wrote:
>
> 4/30/19 1240
>
> Hi all. Although there are more species that I have seen at one time here 74 There was nothing that came up rare. Here is my updated checklist
> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S55595613
> Steve

Back to top

Date: 4/30/19 12:37 pm
From: Steve Stump via Groups.Io <stevestump=<yahoo.com...>
Hello, its the wastewater treatment plant behind fairgrounds. Call me for directions if youd like. 260 1839. Essentially its the end of Bunyan rd. Steve
On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 11:30 AM, <ohbob...><ohbob...> wrote: Hi Steve, I'm new to the group and I'm not sure where WWTP is? I do live in Susanville. Thanks for any help

Back to top
Date: 4/30/19 11:53 am
From: <ohbob...>
Thanks for the information.

Back to top
Date: 4/30/19 11:46 am
From: Bradley via Groups.Io <bmspi1=<aol.com...>

Hi Steve, I'm new to the group and I'm not sure where WWTP is? I do live in Susanville. Thanks for any help

The WWTP is the Waste Water Treatment Plant on Russell Ave.

Back to top
Date: 4/30/19 11:30 am
From: <ohbob...>

Date: 4/30/19 11:20 am
From: Brewbird <michele31...>
Give us all an update! I can go tomorrow!

Michele Swartout
Red Bluff

"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." - John Muir.

> On Apr 30, 2019, at 09:28, Bradley via Groups.Io <bmspi1=<aol.com...> wrote:
>
> Give me an update! I might actually drive up if it's THAT noteworthy!!!
>
> Stovall Associates Investigative & Consulting Services PI 16157
> Bradley M. Stovall
> PO Box 4413
> Chico, CA 95927
> 530-345-1386

Back to top
Date: 4/30/19 9:28 am
From: Bradley via Groups.Io <bmspi1=<aol.com...>

Date: 4/30/19 8:54 am
From: Steve Stump via Groups.Io <stevestump=<yahoo.com...>

Date: 4/29/19 6:46 pm
From: Paul Lehman <lehman.paul...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] offshore cruise-ship 28-29 April: 18 Murphy's, 3 Laysans
Cruise-ship highlights aboard the ???Star Princess??? off extreme northern
San Luis Obispo to central Mendocino Counties 28 April, and briefly off
Del Norte County 29 April 2019:

Bird numbers and variety in mostly deep waters on 28 April between
1100-1400 fathoms was only so-so or mediocre. Highlights were 3 Laysan
Albatrosses off Monterey Co. and 4 Murphy???s Petrels off (extreme
northern Sonoma and) Mendocino Co. No sign of any Hawaiian or Cook???s
Petrels this day. It was very windy late in the day and overnight, so we
slowed down and at dawn the next morning we were off Del Norte County
for a little while, where we had 1 more Murphy???s Petrel before crossing
into Oregon where a better total of 13 Murphy???s Petrels were tallied. We
are continuing north to southeast Alaska, and will be back off CA again
on the southbound leg on 7-8 May.

Date: 4/29/19 10:47 am
From: John Sterling <jsterling...>
Subject: Re: [CALBIRDS] [LACoBirds] Red-faced Warbler
No luck yet.
John Sterling
530 908-3836
26 Palm Ave
Woodland, CA 95695

> On Apr 28, 2019, at 9:49 AM, Tom Benson via Groups.Io <thomasabenson=<aol.com...> wrote:
>
> This will be the last update from me...the warbler has been present all morning (Apr 28) in the area southwest of the rec center and due west of the rec center along the western edge of the park. It seems to prefer the Chinese elms and sycamores. It has been calling consistently all morning.
>
> Tom Benson
> San Bernardino, CA

Back to top
Date: 4/29/19 9:58 am
From: Leonie Batkin <leonie.batkin23...>
Any news today on the Red-faced Warbler?
Thank you,
Leonie Batkin
> On Apr 28, 2019, at 9:49 AM, Tom Benson via Groups.Io <thomasabenson=<aol.com...> wrote:
>
> This will be the last update from me...the warbler has been present all morning (Apr 28) in the area southwest of the rec center and due west of the rec center along the western edge of the park. It seems to prefer the Chinese elms and sycamores. It has been calling consistently all morning.
>
> Tom Benson
> San Bernardino, CA

Back to top
Date: 4/28/19 9:49 am
From: Tom Benson via Groups.Io <thomasabenson=<aol.com...>
This will be the last update from me...the warbler has been present all morning (Apr 28) in the area southwest of the rec center and due west of the rec center along the western edge of the park. It seems to prefer the Chinese elms and sycamores. It has been calling consistently all morning.Tom Benson San Bernardino, CA
-------- Original message --------From: "Tom Benson via Groups.Io" <thomasabenson=<aol.com...> Date: 4/28/19 8:07 AM (GMT-08:00) To: <calbirds...>, <lacobirds...> Cc: <LACoBirds...> Subject: Re: [LACoBirds] Red-faced Warbler I haven't made it to the park myself yet, but I hear that the Red-faced Warbler was refound this morning about 730. Tom BensonSan Bernardino, CA-------- Original message --------From: "Tom Benson via Groups.Io" <thomasabenson=<aol.com...> Date: 4/27/19 2:21 PM (GMT-08:00) To: <calbirds...>, <lacobirds...> Cc: <LACoBirds...> Subject: [LACoBirds] Red-faced Warbler There is currently a Red-faced Warbler in Wardlow Park in Long Beach, near the middle of the park.Acting as the messenger.Tom BensonSan Bernardino

Back to top
Date: 4/28/19 8:07 am
From: Tom Benson via Groups.Io <thomasabenson=<aol.com...>

Date: 4/27/19 2:21 pm