calbirds
Received From Subject
2/21/19 8:04 pm Leslie Flint <lflint...> [CALBIRDS] Common Eider continues at Pebble Beach
2/20/19 6:16 pm Leslie Flint <lflint...> Re: [CALBIRDS] Common Eider
2/20/19 4:05 pm John Sterling <jsterling...> Re: [CALBIRDS] Common Eider
2/20/19 3:35 pm Zeke VanZante <zekevan03...> Re: [CALBIRDS] Common Eider
2/20/19 2:24 pm Leslie Flint <lflint...> Re: [CALBIRDS] Common Eider
2/18/19 11:19 pm Bradford Graham via Groups.Io <lifebirder=<yahoo.com...> [CALBIRDS] Common Eider
2/17/19 12:18 pm Dave Weber <dwbirdster...> [CALBIRDS] Pebble Beach Eider continues Feb 17
2/16/19 3:31 pm Christopher Hayward <p_t_nymph...> [CALBIRDS] Common Eider Pebble Beach , Bird Rock 2-16-19
2/16/19 1:31 pm David Bell <d...> [CALBIRDS] FW: [LACoBirds] Blue-winged Warbler - El Dorado Park
2/16/19 8:43 am Dorian Anderson <thespeckledhatchback...> [CALBIRDS] Rainy day blog - San Mateo shorebirds in flight with some shooting tips....
2/13/19 9:58 am judisierra via Groups.Io <judisierra=<yahoo.com...> Re: [CALBIRDS] Common Eider at Pebble Beach, Monterey Co.
2/12/19 4:51 pm Don Roberson <creagrus...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Common Eider in Pebble Beach MTY
2/12/19 4:18 pm Don Roberson <creagrus...> [CALBIRDS] Common Eider at Pebble Beach, Monterey Co.
2/5/19 11:31 am Thomas Benson <tbenson...> [CALBIRDS] CBRC review and request for documentation
2/4/19 9:32 am Gary Meyer via Groups.Io <weissalberich=<yahoo.com...> [CALBIRDS] Red-flanked Bluetail present Feb 4
2/4/19 8:49 am David DeSante <ddesante...> [CALBIRDS] Tufted Duck in Richardson's Bay is a hybrid
2/1/19 8:57 am Dorian Anderson <thespeckledhatchback...> [CALBIRDS] More blogging nonsense for another rainy weekend.....
1/27/19 11:12 am Jamie Chavez <almiyi...> Re: [CALBIRDS] Sialia support for migration?
1/27/19 9:38 am EBB-Support <EBB-Support...> Re: [CALBIRDS] Sialia support for migration?
1/27/19 8:38 am Ken Burton <shrikethree...> Re: [CALBIRDS] Sialia support for migration?
1/27/19 8:08 am EBB-Support <EBB-Support...> [CALBIRDS] Sialia support for migration?
1/25/19 1:00 pm Geoff Rogers <rogersgl1952...> [CALBIRDS] Red-flanked Bluetail (25 Jan 2019)

Back to top
Date: 2/21/19 8:04 pm
From: Leslie Flint <lflint...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Common Eider continues at Pebble Beach
Hi all, this morning Al DeMartini, Ginny Marshall and I arrived at Bird Rock at 9:45 and saw the Eider just about 20 feet off the rocks. It quickly moved farther out into what I called the washing machine of waves and foam and stayed there until we left 2 hours later. Birders from Fresno and southern CA, who had arrived about 8 had it much closer to shore for extended periods. Another highlight was a male Black Scoter that played hide and seek for most of the time we were there...up for a minute, out of sight for 10. Gorgeous day, stunning Eider

Leslie Flint
SN Mateo

Back to top
Date: 2/20/19 6:16 pm
From: Leslie Flint <lflint...>
Subject: Re: [CALBIRDS] Common Eider
Hi again. Thanks to everyone who responded that the bird is still there!

Leslie
> On Feb 20, 2019, at 2:24 PM, Leslie Flint <lflint...> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I haven’t seen any postings on the Eider since Monday. I’m wondering if it has been seen since then. Planning to drive down tomorrow.. Thanks for any info.
>
> Leslie Flint
> San Mateo

Back to top
Date: 2/20/19 4:05 pm
From: John Sterling <jsterling...>
I saw it yesterday afternoon.
John Sterling
530 908-3836
26 Palm Ave
Woodland, CA 95695

> On Feb 20, 2019, at 2:24 PM, Leslie Flint <lflint...> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I haven’t seen any postings on the Eider since Monday. I’m wondering if it has been seen since then. Planning to drive down tomorrow.. Thanks for any info.
>
> Leslie Flint
> San Mateo

Back to top
Date: 2/20/19 3:35 pm
From: Zeke VanZante <zekevan03...>
Yes the Eider continues. Many reports on ebird.

-Zeke VanZante
Sacramento

Back to top

Date: 2/18/19 11:19 pm
From: Bradford Graham via Groups.Io <lifebirder=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Common Eider
Hello all,

I hope this post goes through. I’ve never posted on Cal birds before.
The Common Eider was seen well today by me, my girlfriend, and others 2-18-19 just on the other side of the smaller rock next to bird rock when we got there. This was around 12:00pm to about 1:00pm. In this time she swam around the smaller rock and drifted into the sheltered area between bird rock & close to shore. Giving good views even with binoculars.

Thank you,

Brad Graham

Back to top
Date: 2/17/19 12:18 pm
From: Dave Weber <dwbirdster...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Pebble Beach Eider continues Feb 17
For those who still like to post to and read Calbirds, the female Common Eider was very cooperative from 11 to 11:45 am this morning at Bird Rock parking lot on 17 Mile Dr on Monterey Peninsula. Easy to see in the 'relatively' sheltered surf on the east side of the offshore rocks.Dave Weber,MilpitasBy phone

Back to top
Date: 2/16/19 3:31 pm
From: Christopher Hayward <p_t_nymph...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Common Eider Pebble Beach , Bird Rock 2-16-19
Hi All,
I arrived at Bird Rock around 10.30 this morning. A number of Birders already there had seen the Female Common Eider before I arrived. The large swells made checking any Scoter groups quite difficult, however after scoping for about 45 minutes I noticed the Eider flying in from well out and south of Bird Rock, it proceeded to fly in and land in the channel between the rock and the parking area, giving everyone there great looks at close range and chances for good photos.
Probably many good photos were taken. A few photos are on my ebird checklist link below.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S52789836

Chris Hayward
Half Moon Bay

Back to top
Date: 2/16/19 1:31 pm
From: David Bell <d...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] FW: [LACoBirds] Blue-winged Warbler - El Dorado Park

From: <LACoBirds...> on behalf of Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman...>
Date: Saturday, February 16, 2019 at 1:02 PM
To: <LACoBirds...>
Subject: [LACoBirds] Blue-winged Warbler - El Dorado Park

Brian Daniels photographed a Blue-winged Warbler in the fence of the parking lot of the golf course at El Dorado Park, off of the Studebaker entrance across from the duck pond.
--
Ryan Winkleman
Rancho Santa Margarita

Back to top
Date: 2/16/19 8:43 am
From: Dorian Anderson <thespeckledhatchback...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Rainy day blog - San Mateo shorebirds in flight with some shooting tips....
Subject line says it all. Enjoy (the blog, not the rain)

http://thespeckledhatchback.blogspot.com/

Cheers
Dorian Anderson
San Mateo

Back to top
Date: 2/13/19 9:58 am
From: judisierra via Groups.Io <judisierra=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: Re: [CALBIRDS] Common Eider at Pebble Beach, Monterey Co.
Free to bicycle in.

Back to top
Date: 2/12/19 4:51 pm
From: Don Roberson <creagrus...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Common Eider in Pebble Beach MTY
This afternoon Rick Founier, leading a group of out-of-town birders,
discovered a female COMMON EIDER at Bird Rock in Pebble Beach, Monterey
Co.. The eider was with a small flock of Surf Scoters on the sea just
south of Bird Rock itself, at times actively diving. A scope is a big
asset but it could be seen with binoculars. Many of the local birders
have been out to see it already; there should soon be multiple photos in
eBird and the Monterey Audubon facebook page.

There is an entrance fee ($10.25, I think) to Pebble Beach. The parking
lot to view Bird Rock is a large parking lot heavily used by tourists,
with restrooms.  Rain is expected the next couple of days.

Good luck,

Don Roberson

Listowners: mailto:<CALBIRDS-owner...>

Turn off email delivery: mailto:<CALBIRDS-nomail...>
Resume email delivery: mailto:<CALBIRDS-normal...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
<CALBIRDS-digest...>
<CALBIRDS-fullfeatured...>

<CALBIRDS-unsubscribe...>

Back to top

Date: 2/5/19 11:31 am
From: Thomas Benson <tbenson...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] CBRC review and request for documentation
California birders,

In early March the California Bird Records Committee (CBRC) will begin reviewing the following records, for which we have little or no documentation. If you have any documentation to submit for these records, please do so as soon as possible. Feel free to forward this request to local listservs as appropriate. Thank you.

Tom

Thomas A. Benson
Secretary, California Bird Records Committee

2018-182 Common Ringed Plover, 8-15 Oct 2018, Abbotts Lagoon, MRN (documentation from 3 observers)
2018-142 Bar-tailed Godwit, 11-12 Sep 2018, Ocean Beach County Park, SBA (no documentation)
2018-171 White-rumped Sandpiper, 5-12 Oct 2018, Centerville Wetlands, HUM (documentation from 2 observers)
2018-034 Black Vulture, 22-29 Apr 2018, Pt. Reyes NS, MRN (no documentation)
2018-076 Black Vulture, 15 Jul-10 Oct 2018, Pt. Reyes Station & Inverness, MRN (no documentation)

What kind of documentation should one submit to the CBRC? Following are some guidelines for submitting media and written descriptions that will be useful for helping the CBRC evaluate records and archive documentation. Documentation may be submitted directly to the secretary via email (<secretary...><mailto:<secretary...>), or by using the online submission form (http://www.californiabirds.org/report_sighting.html).

Media: This includes photos, audio recordings, and video. Photographs are usually the most useful documentation for evaluating records. If you have reasonably good (=identifiable) photos, please submit them. If possible, please crop the photos before submission so that the bird fills most of the frame. Also, please send originals whenever possible, and not screenshots or back-of-camera photos. How many photos should you submit? That really depends on the record. If it is a long-staying rarity that is easily identifiable and seen by dozens of people, then a few photos (1-3 per person) are sufficient. If it is a mega-rarity that is difficult to identify and only seen by one or few people, then send as many photos as possible that show the bird at different angles, postures, lighting, etc. Sometimes it is also useful to submit audio and/or video recordings of the bird, as some birds are more easily identified by their vocalizations. If relatively short, most audio recordings are small enough to be submitted via email; please submit those along with a brief note indicating the date and location of the recording. Large audio files and video files can be submitted by using a file sharing service; please contact the secretary if you need to submit a file that is too large for email.

Written descriptions: Some written details should always be provided - even the best photos should be accompanied by the name of the observer, the date, and the location, at a minimum. Sometimes a photo can't be obtained or vocalizations can't be recorded. In some cases, behaviors might be noted in the field that aren't preserved well by photos. In these cases, it is helpful to submit a written description of the bird. Ideally, this description should be written as soon after observing the bird as possible; it is often helpful to make written notes in the field, or even dictate notes into the voice recorder on your smartphone while observing the bird, from which you can later generate a written description. The most important aspect of a written description is that you report only what you observed, and not a general description of the bird from a field guide. At a minimum, your description should include the date and location of the observation, and a description of the bird (size and structure, plumage, vocalizations, behavior). A brief discussion of how the bird was identified, and how similar species were eliminated is also helpful. Other useful information you might report includes optics used, distance from bird, lighting or weather conditions, length of time viewed, and other observers present.

Back to top
Date: 2/4/19 9:32 am
From: Gary Meyer via Groups.Io <weissalberich=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Red-flanked Bluetail present Feb 4
Being seen this morning in its usual areas along the south east side of the library complex.

Gary Meyer
San Francisco

Back to top
Date: 2/4/19 8:49 am
From: David DeSante <ddesante...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Tufted Duck in Richardson's Bay is a hybrid
Hi folks,

I am the person who found the male Tufted Duck in Richardson Bay.  After
pointing it our to everyone present, I mentioned that the back was a
shade lighter than the breast and rear end; and the tuft was not long
and hanging but very prominent, rounded, and erect; and suggested that
it likely showed some degree of hybridization.  There did not seem to be
any pattern (vermiculations) on the back, but the back was dark gray and
clearly slightly paler than the chest and rear end.  The bird was the
same size as most of the Lesser Scaups that were present and clearly
smaller than the Greater Scaups that were right next to it.  The light
was perfect with the sun behind us and the head and neck of the Tufted
Duck showed only bright purple gloss with no hint of green, while the
Greaters showed almost entirely green gloss and the Lessers showed
generally purple gloss with some green gross depending on how they
turned.  Thus, I believe the bird is a hybrid Tufted Duck x Scaup (sp).
The size, gloss on the head and neck, and shade of the back suggest to
me that the Scaup part of this individual might have been a Lesser.  Or
it could be a 2nd generation individual from one hybrid parent of any
kind of Scaup.  Or, I suppose, any of a myriad of other possibilities.

Dave DeSante

Back to top
Date: 2/1/19 8:57 am
From: Dorian Anderson <thespeckledhatchback...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] More blogging nonsense for another rainy weekend.....
In case you're tired of Super Bowl hype, I've written a bit about the listing
of introduced species and rarities, most of which pertains to CA. Most is
tongue in cheek, but I'm curious how others feel.

http://thespeckledhatchback.blogspot.com/

That said, go Rams......

Cheers,
Dorian Anderson
San Mateo, CA

Back to top
Date: 1/27/19 11:12 am
From: Jamie Chavez <almiyi...>
Subject: Re: [CALBIRDS] Sialia support for migration?
After we moved the Santa Barbara list to groups.io the link to Sialia was
eventually automatic. I never contacted Dave directly. It just sort of
happened. You might just need to give it a little time.

Jamie Chavez
Santa Maria, CA

--
Jamie Chavez
Santa Maria, CA

Back to top
Date: 1/27/19 9:38 am
From: EBB-Support <EBB-Support...>
Yes, we did, thanks.

Back to top
Date: 1/27/19 8:38 am
From: Ken Burton <shrikethree...>
At the top of the Sialia home page it says, " If you have any questions or
comments, please email Dave Ranney at dave at sialia dot com." Have you
tried that?

Ken Burton
Arcata

Date: 1/25/19 1:00 pm