calbirds
Received From Subject
5/3/24 7:08 am Guy McCaskie via groups.io <guymcc...> [CALBIRDS] Blue Rock Thrush
5/2/24 7:03 pm Guy McCaskie via groups.io <guymcc...> Re: [CALBIRDS] [SFBirds] Swallow-tailed Gull and Blue Rock-Thrush on the Farallons
4/30/24 4:11 pm Denise and David Hamilton via groups.io <2napabirders...> Re: [CALBIRDS] [SFBirds] Swallow-tailed Gull and Blue Rock-Thrush on the Farallons
4/28/24 5:39 pm Harold Reeve via groups.io <birder...> [CALBIRDS] Roseate Spoonbill in Stanislaus Co.
4/27/24 7:43 pm Tom Benson via groups.io <thomasabenson...> Re: [CALBIRDS] Roseate Spoonbill in Stanislaus County
4/27/24 7:37 pm Aidan Sinha via groups.io <aidansinha...> [CALBIRDS] Roseate Spoonbill in Stanislaus County
4/27/24 9:23 am Sammy Cowell via groups.io <samueldavidcowell...> [CALBIRDS] Swallow-tailed Kite in Ventura County
4/26/24 10:12 pm Aidan Sinha via groups.io <aidansinha...> Re: [CALBIRDS] [SFBirds] Swallow-tailed Gull and Blue Rock-Thrush on the Farallons
4/26/24 9:35 am Gerry McChesney via groups.io <gerry.mcchesney...> Re: [CALBIRDS] [SFBirds] Swallow-tailed Gull and Blue Rock-Thrush on the Farallons
4/23/24 3:42 pm Hugh Ranson via groups.io <zonetail1...> [CALBIRDS] Kite photos
4/23/24 3:25 pm Hugh Ranson via groups.io <zonetail1...> [CALBIRDS] One more try...
4/23/24 3:22 pm Hugh Ranson via groups.io <zonetail1...> [CALBIRDS] Hmmm
4/23/24 3:20 pm Hugh Ranson via groups.io <zonetail1...> [CALBIRDS] Kite photos and short video
4/23/24 3:10 pm Ken Burton via groups.io <shrikethree...> Re: [CALBIRDS] Swallow-tailed Kite
4/23/24 2:40 pm Hugh Ranson via groups.io <zonetail1...> [CALBIRDS] Swallow-tailed Kite

Back to top
Date: 5/3/24 7:08 am
From: Guy McCaskie via groups.io <guymcc...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Blue Rock Thrush
Thanks to Marty Freeland (see below), I learned that recent taxonomic
changes "lumped" the former Rock Thrush Monticola saxatilis with the Blue
Rock Thrush Monticola solitarius. Therefore both the bird photographed in
Washington and on the Farallon Islands are indeed Blue Rock Thrushes,
probably of the migratory form philippensis. Sorry for the confusion.

Guy McCaskie

"Under current Clements/eBird taxonomy, there is no longer any species
recognized as "Rock Thrush."

The Farallones bird is an example of the taxon currently treated as
subspecies philippensis of the Blue Rock-Thrush. This race is highly
migratory.

Additional information about the systematics, distribution, and movement of
the Blue Rock-Thrush complex is available at (for example) Cornell
University's Birds of the World site
(https://birdsoftheworld.org/bow/species/burthr/cur/introduction;
subscription may be required for access).

Comparison of photographs of the Farallones bird with photographs of other
philippensis Blue Rock-Thrushes may be made here:
https://search.macaulaylibrary.org/catalog?taxonCode=blurot2
<https://search.macaulaylibrary.org/catalog?taxonCode=blurot2&mediaType=phot
o&sort=rating_rank_desc> &mediaType=photo&sort=rating_rank_desc

Marty Freeland"

Back to top
Date: 5/2/24 7:03 pm
From: Guy McCaskie via groups.io <guymcc...>
Subject: Re: [CALBIRDS] [SFBirds] Swallow-tailed Gull and Blue Rock-Thrush on the Farallons
Aidam,

The photo shows a Rock Thrush, not a Blue Rock Thrush. The Rock Thrush is a long distant migrant and the Blue Rock Thrush is non-migratory.

Guy McCaskie

Date: 4/30/24 4:11 pm
From: Denise and David Hamilton via groups.io <2napabirders...>
For anyone interested, here is an article about the Blue Rock-Thrush that
was found in Oregon

Photographer accidentally snaps rare bird in Oregon: ‘It’s mind-blowing’ |
Birds | The Guardian
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2024/apr/29/amateur-birder-oregon-photographs-rare-bird>

I sure wouldn't mind finding that on a beach!
Denise Hamilton
Napa

On Fri, Apr 26, 2024 at 10:12 PM Aidan Sinha via groups.io <aidansinha=
<gmail.com...> wrote:

> All,
> The Farallon Islands team has posted their eBird list from today (
> https://ebird.org/checklist/S170456776). The rock-thrush is still there,
> but the Swallow-tailed Gull was not reported - may be worth checking
> beaches in the area (San Mateo, San Francisco, and Marin Counties) tomorrow
> in case it is roosting somewhere along the coast. Congratulations to the
> Farallon Islands team on these great finds!
>
> Aidan Sinha
> San Jose

Back to top
Date: 4/28/24 5:39 pm
From: Harold Reeve via groups.io <birder...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Roseate Spoonbill in Stanislaus Co.
Hi birders, I am just the messenger regarding a Roseate Spoonbill found in Stanislaus County on the San Joaquin River NWR about 3:20 this afternoon, April 27, by Jodi Smith. The spoonbill was seen from the Wetlands Loop of the Pelican Nature Trail, looking north from the sharp right turn in the trail where it first approaches the marsh about 400 yards (roughly 1/4 mile) northeast of the parking area. It was seen and photographed by Jodi and several other birders between 4:30 and 5:00 pm before it flew slightly north and out of sight. It was also reported about 6:00 pm when it was flushed by a Bald Eagle and flew off towards the northeast. I would love to know if this is the Kern Co. spoonbill, last seen at the Kern Water Bank in mid-March, relocated a few hundred miles north.Harold ReeveModesto

Back to top
Date: 4/27/24 7:43 pm
From: Tom Benson via groups.io <thomasabenson...>
Subject: Re: [CALBIRDS] Roseate Spoonbill in Stanislaus County
There is a CBRC-accepted record of the Roseate Spoonbill from Humboldt County, at two different locations 31 Oct and 7 Nov 2020, so not quite the northernmost record in California.
Tom BensonSecretary, California Bird Records Committee

On Saturday, April 27, 2024 at 07:37:57 PM PDT, Aidan Sinha <aidansinha...> wrote:

All,
Just the messenger here. A Roseate Spoonbill was found by Jody Smith today at the San Joaquin NWR in Stanislaus County. The bird later seen by several others. The directions to the bird, given by Jim Gain, are: "From the main parking lot on Dairy Road, east about 500 yards. At sharp bend to the south. Look north from the corner."
This is the northernmost record for CA and the first for Stanislaus County in eBird. There was also a Roseate Spoonbill seen by many earlier in the year ~200 miles to the south in Kern County - possibly the same bird moving around the Central Valley. Congrats to Jody Smith on this find!

Aidan Sinha
San Jose

Back to top

Date: 4/27/24 9:23 am
From: Sammy Cowell via groups.io <samueldavidcowell...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Swallow-tailed Kite in Ventura County
Hello,

We just had a Swallow-tailed Kite fly over us off Las Posas Rd. in Santa
Rosa Valley, next to Moorpark in Ventura County heading towards Hill
Canyon. I know there was a sighting in Encino, so may be the same bird.
Anyways, just letting you all know!

Sammy Cowell
Simi Valley

Back to top

Date: 4/26/24 9:35 am
From: Gerry McChesney via groups.io <gerry.mcchesney...>
i'm not on island but the Blue Rock Thrush is still on the island this
morning and has been found on the Farallon webcam
https://www.calacademy.org/webcams/farallones/. Very windy out there today
and camera image is very shaky. BIrd is moving around, too.

Report is that no sightings yet today of the Swallow-tailed Gull. . If
re-found, maybe they can get it on the webcam.

Gerry McChesney
Manager, Farallon Islands National Wildlife Refuge

Date: 4/23/24 3:42 pm
From: Hugh Ranson via groups.io <zonetail1...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Kite photos
I've put them temporarily on my Flickr page. I gather Calbirds doesn't
allow attachments.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/159344319@N03/

Hugh Ranson
SB

Back to top
Date: 4/23/24 3:25 pm
From: Hugh Ranson via groups.io <zonetail1...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] One more try...

Back to top
Date: 4/23/24 3:22 pm
From: Hugh Ranson via groups.io <zonetail1...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Hmmm
Photos don't appear to be attaching for some reason. They are on the CA
Rare birds Facebook page.

Hugh

Back to top
Date: 4/23/24 3:20 pm
From: Hugh Ranson via groups.io <zonetail1...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Kite photos and short video
Apologies. Here they are.

Hugh

Back to top
Date: 4/23/24 3:10 pm
From: Ken Burton via groups.io <shrikethree...>
Subject: Re: [CALBIRDS] Swallow-tailed Kite
Hugh,

Was there supposed to be a photo attached to this post?

Ken Burton
McKinleyville

On Tue, Apr 23, 2024 at 2:40 PM Hugh Ranson via groups.io <zonetail1=
<gmail.com...> wrote:

> Just the messenger. A friend of a (I believe non-birding) friend
> photographed this bird at 5:03 pm yesterday on the 4600 block of Encino
> Ave., Encino, near Encino Reservoir. I believe it's legit.
>
> Hugh Ranson
> Santa Barbara

Back to top