calbirds
Received From Subject
10/23/18 8:02 am Debi Shearwater <debiluv...> [CALBIRDS] Please sign me up
10/22/18 10:10 pm Steve Sosensky <mobile...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] [Admin]Moving to groups.io
10/22/18 8:19 pm <zekevan03...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Gannet in San Francisco
10/22/18 3:56 pm DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] RED-FOOTED BOOBY & IT'S A WRAP
10/19/18 11:13 am Kurt Radamaker <kurtrad...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Offshore County Maps
10/18/18 1:44 pm Michael Park <dpbot...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Common Ringed Plover images
10/17/18 8:54 pm Kurt Radamaker <kurtrad...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Offshore County lists and mobile phones
10/17/18 7:12 am Kurt Radamaker <kurtrad...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Offshore County's
10/16/18 5:19 pm Kurt Radamaker <kurtrad...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Offshore County Map
10/15/18 4:56 pm Aaron Maizlish <aaron.maizlish...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Common Ringed Plover 10/15
10/15/18 4:47 pm 'T.G. Miko' <tgmiko...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> Re: [CALBIRDS] Common Ringed Plover RFI
10/15/18 4:36 pm Matthew Dodder <mdodder...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Common Ringed Plover RFI
10/15/18 10:29 am DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] OCT. 13: MASKED BOOBY SCZ COUNTY
10/15/18 9:51 am Frank Fogarty <fogartyfa...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Mourning Warbler at Golden Gate Park - Middle Lake
10/14/18 5:47 pm Mary & Nick Freeman <mnfreeman...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Carpinteria Blue-winged Warbler continues
10/14/18 5:37 pm dwbirdster <dwbirdster...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Common Ringed Plover Oct 14
10/14/18 8:16 am Tom Benson <Thomasabenson...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Blue-winged Warbler contiues Oct 14
10/13/18 5:09 pm Wim van Dam <wim.van.dam...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Blue-winged Warbler, Santa Barbara County, 2018-10-13
10/13/18 1:20 pm <squirtz72...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] make it easier for others to find rare birds
10/12/18 7:38 am <dlecy...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] COMMON RINGED PLOVER, Abbotts Lagoon (MRN) - Audio recording from yesterday, 10/11/18
10/11/18 4:57 pm John Sterling <jsterling...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> Timing Re: [CALBIRDS] Re: COMMON RINGED PLOVER ABBOTTS LAGOON MARIN
10/11/18 1:59 pm John Sterling <jsterling...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> Re: [CALBIRDS] Re: COMMON RINGED PLOVER ABBOTTS LAGOON MARIN
10/11/18 1:47 pm Mark Sawyer <marksawyer3383...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Re: COMMON RINGED PLOVER ABBOTTS LAGOON MARIN
10/11/18 8:48 am <marksawyer3383...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] COMMON RINGED PLOVER ABBOTTS LAGOON MARIN
10/10/18 3:07 am Rudy Wallen <arelist12...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Blue-headed Vireo in San Francisco
10/9/18 3:54 pm Thomas Benson <tbenson...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] CBRC review and request for documentation
10/9/18 9:53 am dwbirdster <dwbirdster...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Blue-winged Warbler and Blue- headed Vireo on Carmel River in Monterey County
10/9/18 12:01 am <aviduetsky...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Yellow-rumped Warbler self-attack
10/8/18 12:01 pm DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] OCT. 6 MTY PELAGIC: KITTIWAKE
10/4/18 6:22 pm DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] UPDATE: OCT 6 & 7 PELAGIC TRIPS
10/4/18 1:35 pm Steve Hampton <stevechampton...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Buff-br Sandpiper fall migration data
10/2/18 4:44 pm DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] RED-FOOTED BOOBY, MANX SHEARS, + more
10/1/18 2:41 pm John Sterling <jsterling...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] eurasian flycatcher species at Pt.Reyes fish docks at 9 am
9/30/18 10:12 pm Kristie Nelson <storm_petrel...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> Re: [CALBIRDS] Re: [sbcobirding] Possible Alder Flycatcher
9/30/18 3:51 pm Dave Compton <davcompton60...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Re: [sbcobirding] Possible Alder Flycatcher
9/30/18 3:30 pm Dave Compton <davcompton60...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Possible Alder Flycatcher
9/27/18 12:59 pm DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] PELAGIC REPORT: SEP 22 & 23
9/26/18 11:28 am DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> [CALBIRDS] Monterey Bay Birding Festival News

Back to top
Date: 10/23/18 8:02 am
From: Debi Shearwater <debiluv...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Please sign me up

DEBRA SHEARWATER
Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
PO Box 190
Hollister, CA 95024
831.637.8527
<debi...>
www.shearwaterjourneys.com
www.shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com

Celebrating 43 Years of Seabirding with Shearwater Journeys
Siberia’s Forgotten Coast & Spoon-billed Sandpiper- 25 June - 9 July 2019
Galapagos Islands: 30 October - 12 November 2019

Back to top
Date: 10/22/18 10:10 pm
From: Steve Sosensky <mobile...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] [Admin]Moving to groups.io
Hi Calbirders,

We have finally started the process of moving Calbirds from Yahoo groups to groups.io. When the transfer is complete you will all be notified by email from groups.io. The process will take a few days. If you already belong to both groups, please post your messages to both groups until the process is complete.

⁣Good birding,
Steve Sosensky
818-522-5261
<mobile...> ​

Back to top
Date: 10/22/18 8:19 pm
From: <zekevan03...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Gannet in San Francisco
I was wondering as to the where about's of the gannet in San Francisco, as far as i know the last sighting was Oct. 6 and Egg rock. If you have more info email me, <zekevan03...>

Back to top
Date: 10/22/18 3:56 pm
From: DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] RED-FOOTED BOOBY & IT'S A WRAP
Howdy, CalBirders,

Shearwater Journeys’ last pelagic trip of the 2018 fall season was yesterday, October 21, departing from Monterey’s Fisherman’s Wharf.

The highlight of the day was when Linda Terrill spotted a RED-FOOTED BOOBY about 12:27 p.m. in Santa Cruz County! It was a thrilling moment for everyone on board, especially Jim Lomax (who, I am certain did not think he would tick a new bird for Santa Cruz County!)

Linda spotted the booby in a small flock of feeding gulls and pelicans. It made a speedy pass by our boat, flying off in a direction which made it impossible for us to chase it because of the choppy seas. (Yes, a beautiful marine forecast was predicted all week-long until the very morning of our trip! It wasn’t awful, just a very annoying, small “chop on the top.” I’m just now looking at the leaders’s report and they called it “squirrelly.”) Quite a few birders looking for new ticks for Santa Cruz County were on board— and, very happy. The Red-footed Booby was a life bird for some folks.

A few images were made of the Red-footed Booby which will hopefully be submitted to the California Bird Records Committee. Jim Gain made a nice photo album of the trip which includes some shots of the booby:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimgain-nature <https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimgain-nature>

Other seabird highlights included: BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS, NORTHERN FULMAR; SOOTY, BULLER’S, PINK-FOOTED and BLACK-VENTED SHEARWATERS; SOUTH POLAR SKUA; POMARINE and PARASITIC JAEGERS, arriving BONAPARTE’S GULLS; COMMON MURRE, RHINOCEROS and CASSIN’S AUKLETS, and a single TUFTED PUFFIN.

Cetaceans included humpback and blue whales, and Risso’s Dolphins.

It was a very, very fun day out on the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary!

This trip concludes our fall season of pelagic trips. Shearwater Journeys will have a full fall season of trips for 2019, including trips to the Farallon Islands, and trips departing from Monterey and Half Moon Bay. As most folks know, at the conclusion of the fall 2019 season, I shall be retiring— after 44 consecutive years of California pelagic trips. To receive the 2019 schedule after the first of the New Year, sign up on our advance list email group at this link:
https://us2.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=92640607eb67e4b0bf1f55f6c&id=8601dfde41 <https://us2.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=92640607eb67e4b0bf1f55f6c&id=8601dfde41>

Many thanks to all of the birders, locally and from out-of-state, who participated on this trip. The leaders were: Linda Terrill, Scott Terrill, Nick Levendosky, Alex Rinkert, Jim Holmes, Sahas Barve, and Debi Shearwater.

The complete species list for OCTOBER 21, 2019, Shearwater Journeys’ Monterey Bay pelagic trip follows, below, with Monterey/Santa Cruz Counties.

COMMON LOON- 8/5
EARED GREBE- 1/0
BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS- 2/12
NORTHERN FULMAR- 9/10
PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATER- 67/260
BULLER’S SHEARWATER- 5/75
SOOTY SHEARWATER- 34/80
SOOTY/SHORT-TAILED SHEARWATER- 11/3
BLACK-VENTED SHEARWATER- 12/3
ASHY STORM-PETREL- 0/1
**RED-FOOTED BOOBY- 0/1
BROWN PELICAN- 76/1
BRANDT’S CORMORANT- 85/3
DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT- 2/0
PELAGIC CORMORANT- 1/0
SURF SCOTER- 18/0
RED-NECKED PHALAROPE- 14/0
RED-NECKED/RED PHALAROPE- 1/0
SOUTH POLAR SKUA- 0/2
POMARINE JAEGER- 1/6
PARASITIC JAEGER- 2/1
BONAPARTE’S GULL- 20/205
HEERMANN’S GULL- 7/3
CALIFORNIA GULL- 36/200
HERRING GULL- 0/2
WESTERN GULL- 62/85
GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL- 0/1
ELEGANT TERN- 10/2
COMMON MURRE- 160/175
CASSIN’S AUKLET- 45/4
RHINOCEROS AUKLET- 710/160
TUFTED PUFFIN- 1/0
PEREGRINE FALCON- 1 on the radio tower along Cannery Row
BLUE WHALE- 3
HUMPBACK WHALE- 4
RISSO’S DOLPHIN- 25
OCEAN SUNFISH- 1

Many thanks to everyone who participated on our fall season!
Looking forward to seeing you next year.

Seabirding for Science,
Debi Shearwater

Date: 10/19/18 11:13 am
From: Kurt Radamaker <kurtrad...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Offshore County Maps

Dear Birders
I have enhanced my pelagic maps to allow upload of your sightings and see them plotted on the map.
Two ways.
1. manually create a csv file with species name and add two columns for latitude, longitude.2. download a csv file from ebird and add two columns for latitude and longitude.
After you are finished entering a lat and long for each species, save file.
Click the upload icon on the map and select file, browse to file and upload..
Sighting points will be placed on map.clicking on a point will show details from csv file.
The draw icon will allow you to label each point with the species name.
Now you are ready to print a pretty map of your sightings and save as a pdf or an image
sample jpg output
http://birdingthecloud.com/rarities/tahitipetrel.jpg
Kurt

Back to top
Date: 10/18/18 1:44 pm
From: Michael Park <dpbot...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Common Ringed Plover images
To my many friends and colleagues across the state,

It has been a long time since I have posted anything here. Enjoy three
images here:

Running: https://flic.kr/p/NqR3te

Side profile: https://flic.kr/p/2b63Uj5

Portrait: https://flic.kr/p/Q3WmLJ

Michael Park, Berkeley

Listowners: mailto:<CALBIRDS-owner...>

Turn off email delivery: mailto:<CALBIRDS-nomail...>
Resume email delivery: mailto:<CALBIRDS-normal...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
<CALBIRDS-digest...>
<CALBIRDS-fullfeatured...>

<CALBIRDS-unsubscribe...>

Back to top
Date: 10/17/18 8:54 pm
From: Kurt Radamaker <kurtrad...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Offshore County lists and mobile phones

My Offshore maps are mobile phone friendly and the app has a locate icon  on the left hand side that captures your location. If you are out on the ocean ebirding with your mobile click that icon and it will zoom to your location and show you what county you are in.
From home or mobile, cut and paste a latitude and longitude separated by a comma, into the search box, click the magnifying glass  and it will zoom to those coordinates
You can print the map, change the basemap e.g. to oceans, satellite or topo.. Use the measure tool to measure distances. You can zoom the map, turn layers on and off. Try the layer icon  upper right.
You can add a point to the map. Click on the map, a popup box will appear, click the 3 dots … in the lower right and click add marker, if you print the map it will print your markers. I hope to add a feature where you can add a bird name to the marker, future enhancement.
Changing the basemap  to oceans, will show some pretty neat under sea canyons and ocean features.
https://kurtrad.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=a56740a11a7345759af7222b67ea521b
Poke around, click some icons and try some stuff.

All this is for free! And I promise you no personal information is ever captured on any of my sites.
I do this only for the love of birding and programming.
Please let me know if the app works well or not!
Check out my other apps here:https://kurtrad.maps.arcgis.comhttp://birdingthecloud.com/

Enjoy
Kurt Radamaker

Date: 10/17/18 7:12 am
From: Kurt Radamaker <kurtrad...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Offshore County's

This map is open streets map showing the legal and accepted coastal county 3 mile boundary and 12 mile state boundaries.
http://kurtrad.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=081c656093c8412ea24c6efb9ba7ffd8

Open street maps is widely accepted by the mapping community.
http://kurtrad.maps.arcgis.com/

For islands, the boundaries are 3 miles and 12 mles around the island, so if you are within 3 miles of Catalina Island you are in LA County.

Back to top
Date: 10/16/18 5:19 pm
From: Kurt Radamaker <kurtrad...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Offshore County Map

I made some improvements to the offshore county maps, enjoy.
http://kurtrad.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=a56740a11a7345759af7222b67ea521b

Caveat about maps.
Offshore County Maps of California, Oregon and Washington

The geodesic boundaries are calculated using the nearest county line logic. This is not the nearest point of land logic used by the California Bird Records Committee (CBRC), but the closest to a counties outer boundary line. Measuring the distance using the closest point of land logic is problematic. Doing so causes some boundaries to bisect the county's legal boundary. For example, you could be caught speeding within the 3 mile inshore limit in your boat in Orange County by a County Sheriff and you would have to go to court in Orange County, but any birds seen at that same location may be listed in a CBRC report as Los Angeles County.

The nearest county lines are measured using the U.S. Department of Commerce, U.S. Census Bureau, and Geography Division TIGER Shape files. The coastal county shape files extend to 3 miles offshore (dotted line) as part of their legal county jurisdiction. Many of the 3 mile county distances are measured from small offshore rocky out cropping's and shoals and not just from the mainland or significant offshore islands. These county boundaries are readily visible for some counties e.g. see Del Norte County in California. Note the boundary around Seal Rock and the St. George Reef which causes the county to extend further offshore. The dark solid line is the twelve mile legal state jurisdiction line. By law, counties stop after 3 miles and the state line is an additional twelve miles.
It is my personal belief that birds seen up to 3 miles should count for that county and if beyond 3 miles and within the 3-15 mile state boundary only count for the state. Any bird sightings beyond the 15 mile state line would only count for your ABA list.
The CBRC states on their website that "The Committee reviews records only at the state level. It makes no formal decisions regarding the county in which a particular bird at sea may have occurred, beyond listing the nearest point of land in published reports and in its database." So you are free to use this map as your county list reference. it is totally up to you if you want your county to extend 3, 15 or 200 miles.
https://www.census.gov/geo/maps-data/data/tiger.html
For an explanation of how these county boundaries have been established by the California Bird Records Committee (CBRC).
http://californiabirds.org/counties.html
Acknowledgements:
A special thanks to a few folks who provided feedback and direction.
Elias Elias, Paul Lehman, and Alvaro Jaramillo

Back to top
Date: 10/15/18 4:56 pm
From: Aaron Maizlish <aaron.maizlish...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Common Ringed Plover 10/15
The Common Ringed Plover was easily viewed today from my arrival at 10:00 until 11:00. Eric Lichtwardt and I were the only two birders during that time, although others were arriving as I left.

The bird was along the crest of the sandy berm that separates the lagoon from the beach. It’s about where you would imagine that the lagoon will breach later this winter. The bird was with the Snowy Plovers - and acted as though he had little to no fear of humans. I’d say this bird doesn’t have any experience with humans. I was able to sit and watch quietly from about 30’ to my heart’s content. That said, this particular spot gets a lot of weekend foot traffic, and even if the bird sticks around for a while I expect that it will eventually find a quieter place - so get there soon while it’s still resting out in the open.

Also seen - 6 Pectoral Sandpipers in with a large mixed flock of shorebirds.. 1 Red Knot. 1 flyover Red-throated Pipit with some American Pipits. Colin Meusel (on his way out) informed me of an American Bittern on the north pond as you walk in.

I will have several extremely detailed photos of the Common Ringed Plover on my eBird report and my flickr feed (/amaizlish) in about ten minutes or so.

Aaron Maizlish
San Francisco, CA

> On Oct 15, 2018, at 4:36 PM, Matthew Dodder <mdodder...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> wrote:
>
> Was the Abbott’s Lagoon bird seen today, and at what time?
>
> Thank you,
> Matthew Dodder
> Mountain View
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 10/15/18 4:47 pm
From: 'T.G. Miko' <tgmiko...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [CALBIRDS] Common Ringed Plover RFI
Yes. I I will try to forward you today's eBird report.

On Mon, Oct 15, 2018, 4:38 PM Matthew Dodder <mdodder...>
[CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...> wrote:

> Was the Abbott’s Lagoon bird seen today, and at what time?
>
> Thank you,
> Matthew Dodder
> Mountain View
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Back to top

Date: 10/15/18 10:29 am
From: DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] OCT. 13: MASKED BOOBY SCZ COUNTY
Howdy, Birders,

The highlight of Shearwater Journeys’ October 13, 2018 Monterey Bay pelagic trip was a MASKED BOOBY, only the third record for Santa Cruz County.

It was a beautiful, calm day at sea with many highlights, including six species of shearwaters: SOOTY, SHORT-TAILED, PINK-FOOTED, MANX, BLACK-VENTED, and BULLER’S. We also had wonderful views of BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS, POMARINE and PARASITIC JAEGERS, SOUTH POLAR SKUA, RED and RED-NECKED PHALAROPES, and RHINOCEROS AUKLETS.

Marine mammals included at least 20 humpback whales, 150 Pacific white-sided dolphins, 10 Northern right whale dolphins, 28 Risso’s dolphins, and one Northern fur seal, and the usual California sea lions and sea otters.

The MASKED BOOBY was spotted about 11:40 a.m., attracted to the flock of gulls behind our vessel. It made a quick pass, flying rapidly off our bow. A dramatic chase by our Captain Tinker ensued! The booby landed on the sea with a small flock of gulls. Careful approach by our vessel allowed for a positive ID and a great many images! This was a lot of fun!

Our last pelagic trip of the season is Sunday, OCTOBER 21 with leaders Alex Rinkert, Nick Levendosky, Jim Holmes, Debi Shearwater. Spaces are available. For a reservation, please email me: <debi...> <mailto:<debi...>.

The complete species list for OCTOBER 13, 2018 Shearwater Journeys’ trip covering both MONTEREY/SANTA CRUZ COUNTIES follows:

PACIFIC LOON: 1/0
COMMON LOON: 7/11
BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS: 3/2
NORTHERN FULMAR: 3/6
PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATER: 160/205
BULLER’S SHEARWATER: 6/6
SOOTY SHEARWATER: 120/32
SHORT-TAILED SHEARWATER: 3/0
MANX SHEARWATER: 1/0
BLACK-VENTED SHEARWATER: 2/0
**MASKED BOOBY: 0/1
BROWN PELICAN: 115/2
BRANDT’S CORMORANT: 150/3
DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT: 1/0
RED-NECKED PHALAROPE: 60/6
RED PHALAROPE: 13/0
SOUTH POLAR SKUA: 1/1
POMARINE JAEGER: 0/1
PARASITIC JAEGER: 2/0
BONAPARTE’S GULL: 2/0
HEERMANN’S GULL: 28/0
CALIFORNIA GULL: 115/96
HERRING GULL: 2/0
WESTERN GULL: 365/108
GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL: 1/0
ELEGANT TERN: 60/0
COMMON MURRE: 285/185
PIGEON GUILLEMOT: 1/0
CASSIN’S AUKLET: 6/1
RHINOCEROS AUKLET: 470/155
OSPREY:1/0
PEREGRINE FALCON: 1/0
WOOD DUCK: 1/0
WARBLER SP.:1/0

The leaders for October 13 included: Scott and Linda Terrill, Nick Levendosky, Alex Rinkert, and Debi Shearwater. Special thanks to Nick for carrying my great pyrenees doggie, on and off the boat. It was her first pelagic trip and I think it will be her last! She’s not a sailor dog!

See you out there! One more trip for 2018!

Date: 10/15/18 9:51 am
From: Frank Fogarty <fogartyfa...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Mourning Warbler at Golden Gate Park - Middle Lake
Hi all,

Sorry for the delayed posting to the listservs. Had some technical
difficulties. Julia DeMarines and I had a HY Mourning Warbler near Middle
Lake in Golden Gate Park yesterday (Sunday) afternoon around 3:30pm. The
bird was about 50-100m up the small trail that leads from the parking area
on Chain of Lakes Rd to Middle Lake, before reaching Middle Lake. It was
foraging low to the ground in some dense vines on the right side of the
trail (leaving the parking lot).

Expanded version of my notes from eBird:

Pretty good looks over about 4 minutes as the bird popped in an out of
view, sometimes jumping up into the vines ~1 m off the ground before
dropping back close to the ground. Stocky Geothlypis warbler, larger than
Townsend's Warbler foraging higher in shrubby trees, pale legs. Large flesh
colored bill and thin, mostly unbroken white eyering (the rear of the
eyering had a hint of a dark line). Grayish hood blending into the darker
green back. Yellow from undertail coverts all the way to chin, getting
paler on the throat. Relatively long UTC, not as short-tailed as
Connecticut Warbler (and lacking that species' surprised, comical facial
expression). Long primary projection. MacGillivray's ruled out by throat
color, lack of eye arcs, and longer UTC. Plumage superficially similar to
Nashville Warbler, but a very different bird structurally. Responded to
Mourning Warbler chip call.

We lost sight of it before moving on down the trail, when it appeared to
move further back into the dense vegetation. Here's a rough pin for the
spot: *37.767132, -122.499056. *The MOWA wasn't associating closely with
any other birds.

Good Birding,

Frank Fogarty
Oakland

Back to top
Date: 10/14/18 5:47 pm
From: Mary & Nick Freeman <mnfreeman...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Carpinteria Blue-winged Warbler continues
Hi Birders

The BLUE-WINGED WARBLER, a beauty and very hyper, continued in Carpinteria Creek. Between 4:00 and 4:50pm, we saw it on the northeast side of the 8th Street foot bridge, half way up the creek to the Carpinteria Avenue bridge just before the “old shack”. Orange-crowned Warblers were calling and it was hard to differentiate whether the Blue- winged called. It seemed rather tame as it came very close and it appeared to favor dense leaves and it was very hyper! I ended up taking some highly prized bird-butt photos.

Bird on!

Mary & Nick Freeman
Glendale CA

Sent from my iPhone

Date: 10/14/18 5:37 pm
From: dwbirdster <dwbirdster...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Common Ringed Plover Oct 14
Apparently only few reports to ebird and none to NBB or Calbirds as far as I can tell today. If they have been posted I apologize. So just to make it known - the Common Ringed Plover was all alone at the NW corner of Abbott's Lagoon at Pt Reyes NS in Marin County today Oct 14 at least until 12:30pm. It was on the 'ridge' of the sand between the lagoon and ocean, as viewed from  the lagoon, sitting in a small pile of debris, approx 100 yds away.
Dave Weber,Milpitas
By phone

Back to top
Date: 10/14/18 8:16 am
From: Tom Benson <Thomasabenson...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Blue-winged Warbler contiues Oct 14
Continuing along Carpinteria Creek at same location as yesterday, 8:10 am.
Tom Benson San Bernardino, CA

Back to top
Date: 10/13/18 5:09 pm
From: Wim van Dam <wim.van.dam...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Blue-winged Warbler, Santa Barbara County, 2018-10-13
This Saturday Nick Lethaby found a Blue-winged Warbler in Carpinteria.
Details can be found at the sbcobirding newsgroup:
https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/topics

Wim van Dam
Solvang, CA

Back to top
Date: 10/13/18 1:20 pm
From: <squirtz72...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] make it easier for others to find rare birds
This is a problem that has plagued me since early in my birding hobby when I tried to find a location is Hayward called Frank's Dump, which was not on any map in the universe (it is now, in eBird). If a location doesn't have a name on eBird, many people try to describe where it is using local references or past postings on the list-serves. This may work to get local birders to a location, but it's hell on out-of-towners or newbies.

I have sometimes used a screenshot of Google Maps, but I recently learned how to post a lat-long from my phone. Here are the instructions:

On Google Maps, find your location. Press the little compass symbol in the lower right corner of your screen. This will place a blue dot where you are. Press the blue dot, and you will get a Dropped Pin. Pull up the lower section of the screen so it shows the lat-long. Capture the screenshot, and add it to your post. Voila!

Screenshots are demo'd in a photo folder called Fining Lat-Long on an iPhone.

Good birding! and be kind.

Laurie Graham
South San Francisco, CA

Back to top
Date: 10/12/18 7:38 am
From: <dlecy...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] COMMON RINGED PLOVER, Abbotts Lagoon (MRN) - Audio recording from yesterday, 10/11/18
As Bob Atwood and I were looking at the COMMON RINGED PLOVER at Abbotts Lagoon yesterday evening (10/11/18), the bird called clearly 4-5 times before flying off towards the beach and out of sight. Luckily, Bob was recording during this time and he got an audio clip of the bird which I have included in my eBird checklist below. Hopefully this helps bolster the identification of this particular bird. Feedback and/or opinions welcome and appreciated. Thank you!

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49134622

Cheers,

Derek Lecy

San Rafael

Back to top
Date: 10/11/18 4:57 pm
From: John Sterling <jsterling...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: Timing Re: [CALBIRDS] Re: COMMON RINGED PLOVER ABBOTTS LAGOON MARIN
I should note that we did not see any Semipalmated Plovers until after 10:30 am when a bunch were along north end of the lagoon. That is when we found the Common Ringed Plover. So early morning may not be best time to see this bird.

John Sterling
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

26 Palm Ave
Woodland, CA 95695
530 908-3836
<jsterling...>
www.sterlingbirds.com

Date: 10/11/18 1:59 pm
From: John Sterling <jsterling...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>

Date: 10/11/18 1:47 pm
From: Mark Sawyer <marksawyer3383...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>

Date: 10/11/18 8:48 am
From: <marksawyer3383...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] COMMON RINGED PLOVER ABBOTTS LAGOON MARIN
There is a Common Ringed Plover at Abbotts Lagoon found by myself and Mark Martucci on Monday the 8th. My few photos from that day were very compelling but this is a tough ID. Noah Arthur and Adrien Hinkle refound the bird yesterday and procured great photos, particularly of unwebbed toes, along with all the other traits I photographed on Monday. The bird is located on the North Side of Abbotts lagoon with a flocks of around 75 other plovers, Snowy and Semipalmated. It stands out as it is the only Plover in breeding plumage. This is a 2nd state record! I believe birders are looking for it today and will most likely update this listservs.

Mark Sawyer Sacramento CA

Noah's photos can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99231652@N07/albums/72157702290765985 The original photos from Monday taken by me can be viewed here https://flic.kr/s/aHsmk1ZNYJ Adriens checklist is here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49110269 Mine is here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49095882

Date: 10/10/18 3:07 am
From: Rudy Wallen <arelist12...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Blue-headed Vireo in San Francisco
Found today (Tue Oct 09) around 1pm in Golden Gate Park. Described as -
Overall bright and contrasty- very blue grey head contrasting with a green
back, strong spectacles enhanced by a black line below and a dark forehead
above, excessive lemon yellow on sides and vent, strong neat line between
the white throat and malar, olive mixed with yellow on the sides later
became apparent. Distinct white edge on outer tail feathers.

Peter Pyle added- "This is an HY by the brown primary coverts contrasting
with the replaced greater coverts and the tapered rectrices. So confirm HY
male Blue-headed Vireo." Both attributes noted here:
https://flic.kr/p/2bThnN8

Details and photos here:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49090918

Rudyard Wallen
San Francisco

Back to top
Date: 10/9/18 3:54 pm
From: Thomas Benson <tbenson...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] CBRC review and request for documentation
California birders,

This has been a record year for boobies off the California coast. The California Bird Records Committee (CBRC) will begin reviewing the following records in mid November. Despite the fact that many of these birds were well seen and photographed, we have little or no documentation for most of these records. If you have any documentation to submit for these records, please do so as soon as possible. Feel free to forward this request to local listservs as appropriate. Thank you.

Tom

Thomas A. Benson
Secretary, California Bird Records Committee

MASKED BOOBY
2018-098 17 Aug 2018 Approx. 42.8 km W of Pt. Loma SD
2018-099 19 Aug 2018 Thirty Mile Bank SD
2018-107 24 Aug 2018 Approx. 4.1 km WNW of Pt. Pinos MTY
2018-108 25 Aug 2018 Approx. 9.5 km W of San Clemente Island LA
2018-139 6 Sep 2018 Cortes Basin LA
2018-160 25 Sep-2 Oct 2018 Anacapa Island VEN

NAZCA BOOBY
2018-101 5 Jul 2018 Approx. 8 km SW of SE Farallon Island SF
2018-081 15 Jul 2018 Approx. 10.5 km SW of Sutil Rock SBA
2018-077 15 Jul 2018 Anacapa Island VEN
2018-084 19 Jul 2018 Approx. 4 km SE of Pt. Fermin LA
2018-088 6-7 Aug 2018 County Line Beach VEN & Leo Carillo State Beach LA
2018-089 10 Aug 2018 10.5 km W of San Diego River mouth SD
2018-100 19-23 Aug 2018 Los Angeles Harbor LA
2018-105 20 Aug 2018 Approx. 16.3 km WSW of Dana Point Headlands ORA
2018-116 28 Aug 2018 Approx. 12 km off San Diego SD
2018-114 29 Aug-4 Sep 2018 Sutil Rock SBA
2018-136 4 Sep 2018 Condor Bank SBA
2018-137 5 Sep 2018 Rodriguez Dome SBA
2018-138 7 Sep 2018 near San Clemente Island LA
2018-132 8 Sep 2018 Los Angeles Harbor LA
2018-159 23 Sep 2018 Nine Mile Bank SD
2018-177 6 Oct 2018 near Santa Barbara Island SBA

MASKED/NAZCA BOOBY
2018-104 29 Jun 2018 Estero Bay SLO
2018-102 8 Jul 2018 Approx. 27.8 km WSW of Bodega Head SON
2018-087 1 Aug 2018 Farallon Escarpment SF
2018-106 22 Aug 2018 Approx. 4 km S of Pt. Fermin LA
2018-115 29 Aug 2018 Tijuana River mouth SD
2018-117 31 Aug 2018 Santa Monica Bay LA
2018-149 13 Sep 2018 Platform Eureka ORA (2)
6 Oct 2018 Platform Ellen ORA (record number not yet assigned)

RED-FOOTED BOOBY
2018-085 23 Jul 2018 Approx. 6 km WSW of Dana Point Headlands ORA
2018-090 9-10 Aug 2018 Mission Bay SD
2018-091 9 Aug 2018 Approx. 17.5 km offshore from San Diego River mouth SD
2018-092 12 Aug 2018 Approx. 10 km SW of Huntington Beach Pier ORA
2018-093 12-13 Aug 2018 Moss Landing MTY
2018-094 17 Aug 2018 Mugu Rock and Santa Barbara Channel VEN
2018-095 17 Aug 2018 Approx. 48 km W of La Jolla
2018-096 18-21 Aug 2018 Pt. Loma SD
2018-097 19 Aug 2018 Approx. 45 km WSW of La Jolla
2018-109 25 Aug 2018 Approx. 10.4 km S of Newport Pier ORA
2018-110 25 Aug 2018 Pt. Pinos MTY
2018-111 25 Aug 2018 Approx. 4 km WNW of San Clemente Island LA
2018-112 26 Aug 2018 Imperial Beach SD
2018-113 29 Aug 2018 near Santa Barbara Island SBA
2018-127 1 Sep 2018 Approx. 12 km SW of Huntington Beach Pier ORA
2018-133 1-9 Sep 2018 Oceanside Pier SD
2018-126 3 Sep 2018 Approx. 19 km SW of Huntington Beach Pier ORA
2018-134 3 Sep 2018 Offshore San Diego County SD
2018-135 4 Sep 2018 near Santa Barbara Island SBA
2018-125 5 Sep 2018 Southeast Farallon Island SF
2018-150 17 Sep 2018 Los Angeles Harbor LA
2018-153 18 Sep 2018 Seacliff State Beach SCZ
2018-164 29 Sep 2018 Platform Eureka ORA
2018-168 30 Sep 2018 Approx. 30 km SSW of Four Mile Beach SCZ
2018-178 6 Oct 2018 near Anacapa Island VEN
2018-179 7 Oct 2018 Don Edwards NWR ALA
6 Oct 2018 Platform Eureka ORA (record number not yet assigned)

What kind of documentation should one submit to the CBRC? Following are some guidelines for submitting media and written descriptions that will be useful for helping the CBRC evaluate records and archive documentation. Documentation may be submitted directly to the secretary via email (<secretary...><mailto:<secretary...>) , or by using the online submission form (http://www.californiabirds.org/report_sighting.html)..

Media: This includes photos, audio recordings, and video. Photographs are usually the most useful documentation for evaluating records. If you have reasonably good (=identifiable) photos, please submit them. If possible, please crop the photos before submission so that the bird fills most of the frame. Also, please send originals whenever possible, and not screenshots or back-of-camera photos. How many photos should you submit? That really depends on the record. If it is a long-staying rarity that is easily identifiable and seen by dozens of people, then a few photos (1-3 per person) are sufficient. If it is a mega-rarity that is difficult to identify and only seen by a one or few people, then send as many photos as possible that show the bird at different angles, postures, lighting, etc. Sometimes it is also useful to submit audio and/or video recordings of the bird, as some birds are more easily identified by their vocalizations. If relatively short, most audio recordings are small enough to be submitted via email; please submit those along with a brief note indicating the date and location of the recording. Large audio files and video files can be submitted by using a file sharing service; please contact the secretary if you need to submit a file that is too large for email.

Written descriptions: Some written details should always be provided - even the best photos should be accompanied by the name of the observer, the date, and the location, at a minimum. Sometimes a photo can't be obtained or vocalizations can't be recorded. In some cases, behaviors might be noted in the field that aren't preserved well by photos. In these cases, it is helpful to submit a written description of the bird. Ideally, this description should be written as soon after observing the bird as possible; it is often helpful to make written notes in the field, or even dictate notes into the voice recorder on your smartphone while observing the bird, from which you can later generate a written description. The most important aspect of a written description is that you report only what you observed, and not a general description of the bird from a field guide. At a minimum, your description should include the date and location of the observation, and a description of the bird (size and structure, plumage, vocalizations, behavior). A brief discussion of how the bird was identified, and how similar species were eliminated is also helpful. Other useful information you might report includes optics used, distance from bird, lighting or weather conditions, length of time viewed, and other observers present.

Back to top
Date: 10/9/18 9:53 am
From: dwbirdster <dwbirdster...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Blue-winged Warbler and Blue- headed Vireo on Carmel River in Monterey County
Both birds seen well early this morning Oct 9. About 200 yds downstream from the Carmel River Inn in Carmel. Thanks to Carole Rose and Don Roberson for their detailed directions. See posts to Mbbirds on Sialia.com. As they suggest, waterproof boots would be helpful. The warbler has yellowish wing bars - first fall female?

Dave Weber,Milpitas
By phone

Back to top
Date: 10/9/18 12:01 am
From: <aviduetsky...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Yellow-rumped Warbler self-attack
Hello birders,
On Sunday, Oct. 07, I tried in vain to find a previously reported Indigo Bunting at the Los Angeles County Arboretum in Arcadia (after hours of searching, I still was unable to locate it).
While I was at the parking lot, I noticed a Yellow-rumped Warbler was attacking its own reflection at a car's mirror. I've seen California Towhees doing that numerous times, but never seen a Warbler displaying such self-destructing aggression.
If interested, here's a link to some of my photos of the incident: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmrqUY6R https://flic.kr/s/aHsmrqUY6R
Good birding,
Alexander Viduetsky
Valley Village, CA

Back to top
Date: 10/8/18 12:01 pm
From: DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] OCT. 6 MTY PELAGIC: KITTIWAKE
Howdy, CalBirders,

This is a report for Shearwater Journeys’ October 6, 2018 pelagic trip departing from Monterey’s Fisherman’s Wharf. Due to the impending marine forecast calling for gusts to 40 knots, our captain canceled the October 7 pelagic trip which was scheduled to depart from Half Moon Bay as previously announced.

The morning dawned bright red at the harbor in Monterey on October 6, making for some beautiful sunrise photographs. “Red sky in the morning, sailor’s warning.” A BALD EAGLE flew over the harbor while I was doing the orientation.

We put the pedal to the metal and immediately headed north for offshore Davenport where we would have some protection once the wind picked up. We had views of a PIGEON GUILLEMOT and some BLACK-VENTED SHEARWATERS, first. We crossed the border into Santa Cruz County at 10:30 a.m., almost a record early time.

En route, and in both Monterey and Santa Cruz Counties, we enjoyed close views of BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS, NORTHERN FULMAR; PINK-FOOTED, SOOTY, and BULLER’S SHEARWATERS; one ASHY STORM-PETREL; RED and RED-NECKED PHALAROPES; POMARINE and PARASITIC JAEGERS; COMMON MURRES; one CASSIN’S and lots of RHINOCEROS AUKLETS.

A great time was had with the first of the season for all of California (according to eBird) BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKE and 2 SOUTH POLAR SKUAS. The kittiwake crossed the county line and thus was recorded for both counties. One skua was found in each county. They were attracted to the flock of gulls following our vessel. Lots of great images of the kittiwake were made by the many photographers on board.

We turned tail from the wind in the early afternoon and made our way back to the harbor in a following sea.

Marine mammals included half a dozen RISSO’S DOLPHINS in the morning, 2 DALL’S PORPOISE and a baker’s dozen of HUMPBACK WHALES, some breaching and tail-lobbing.

NOAA is forecasting a southerly surge for tomorrow from Hurricane Sergio. This could bring more seabirds from the south to Monterey Bay by the end of the week, possibly boobies, more Black-vented Shearwaters, murrelets, or just about any warm water seabird— from tropicbird to Wedge-tailed Shearwater. This Saturday’s trip could be very interesting.

Upcoming trips with spaces available, both departures from Fisherman’s Wharf, Monterey:
SAT. OCT. 13 with Scott & Linda Terrill, Alex Rinkert, Nick Levendosky, Debi Shearwater
SUN. OCT. 21 with Alex Rinkert, Nick Levendosky, Jim Holmes, Debi Shearwater

To make a RESERVATION, please email me: <debi...>

Date: 10/4/18 6:22 pm
From: DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] UPDATE: OCT 6 & 7 PELAGIC TRIPS
Hello, Birders,

This is an update for seabirders wanting to get offshore this weekend.

Shearwater Journeys’ Sunday, October 7 pelagic trip departing from Half Moon Bay has been canceled by the captain due to the marine forecast for high winds. Trips departing from Half Moon Bay head offshore without the benefit of protection from the prevailing northwest winds.

Shearwater Journeys’ Saturday, October 6 pelagic trip departing from Monterey Bay is NOT CANCELED. Being half-moon shaped, Monterey Bay is protected from the prevailing northwest winds. The Santa Cruz Mountains also add a layer of protection. The leaders for this trip are: Scott & Linda Terrill, Nick Levendosky, Jim Holmes, Alex Rinkert, and Debi Shearwater.

Spaces are available on the October 6 trip. We meet at 7 am and return about 3 pm. For reservation information, please email me: <debi...>

Hope to see you out there!

Date: 10/4/18 1:35 pm
From: Steve Hampton <stevechampton...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Buff-br Sandpiper fall migration data
All,

I've summarized some eBird data on BBSA on the West Coast. 2018 was
certainly a banner year.

I've posted a graphic at
https://thecottonwoodpost.net/2018/10/03/the-2018-flight-of-the-buff-breasted-sandpipers-data-from-the-west-coast/

enjoy,

--
Steve Hampton
Davis, CA

Back to top
Date: 10/2/18 4:44 pm
From: DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] RED-FOOTED BOOBY, MANX SHEARS, + more
Howdy, CALbirders,

This is a brief report of three pelagic trips, September 28, 29, and 30 operated by Shearwater Journeys, all departing from Fishermans’ Wharf, Monterey. Highlights included:

SEP 30: RED-FOOTED BOOBY a first record for Santa Cruz County made a speedy fly-by the stern of our vessel (images obtained); 760 SABINE’S GULLS in several flocks, both Monterey and Santa Cruz Counties; TUFTED PUFFIN in Monterey County. The flocks of Sabine’s Gulls were astounding and lovely to watch. One flock of over Pomarine Jaegers was nice.

SEP 29: All birds in Monterey County: MANX SHEARWATER sitting on the sea, excellent views for all on board; PEREGRINE FALCON chasing an ELEGANT TERN (first time I’ve ever seen that); 2000 ELEGANT TERNS off Point Pinos along with thousands of seabirds and hundreds of Risso’s, Pacific white-sided, and Northern right whale dolphins.

SEP 28: SIX SPECIES OF SHEARWATERS, including: MANX and SHORT-TAILED; 33 SABINE’S GULLS.

On all three trips we were able to find the last few remaining PIGEON GUILLEMOTS; all three species of jaegers; Red and Red-necked phalaropes; excellent views of BULLER’S SHEARWATERS; good numbers of Rhinoceros Auklets and Common Murres. Marine mammals have been sensational, with 30 to 60 humpback whales per day. There is a LOT of food in Monterey Bay, mainly boiling anchovies. These trips were operated in conjunction with the Monterey Bay Birding Festival.

UPCOMING TRIPS with spaces available:

OCT 6 MTY with Scott & Linda Terrill, Nick Levendosky, Jim Holmes, Alex Rinkert, Debi Shearwater.
OCT 7 HMB with Steve Hampton, Christian Schwarz, Jim Holmes, Debi Shearwater.
OCT 13 MTY with Alex Rinkert, Nick Levendosky, Scott & Linda Terrill, Debi Shearwater.
OCT 21 MTY with Alex Rinkert, Nick Levendosky, Jim Holmes, Debi Shearwater.

All of the October trips will endeavor to head to Santa Cruz County!

Reservations: email me: <debi...> <mailto:<debi...>.

Rare seabirds that have been found during the month of October include: Wedge-tailed Shearwater (twice), Great-winged Petrel, Streaked Shearwater, White-chinned Petrel, Parkinson’s Petrel, Short-tailed Albatross, Wedge-rumped Storm-Petrel, Swallow-tailed Gull, and Thick-billed Murre. Most of these records were found on Shearwater Journeys’ trips.

Shearwater Journeys has twice set a world record of finding eight species of shearwaters in one day on October trips!

October is a great time to get out there!

Date: 10/1/18 2:41 pm
From: John Sterling <jsterling...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] eurasian flycatcher species at Pt.Reyes fish docks at 9 am
Mark Sawyer just sent me back of camera photos of a bird that looks like an Asian Brown Flycatcher. He was at the Fish Docks on outer Pt. Reyes for three hours this morning and only saw it for five seconds. Photos are of head and underparts/tail. He wrote that it was small and brown with no real wingbars and had a small bill. It just looked “weird”. Hopefully he can send me better photos when he returns home, but I wanted to get the word out now.

John Sterling
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

26 Palm Ave
Woodland, CA 95695
530 908-3836
<jsterling...>
www.sterlingbirds.com

Back to top
Date: 9/30/18 10:12 pm
From: Kristie Nelson <storm_petrel...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [CALBIRDS] Re: [sbcobirding] Possible Alder Flycatcher
Greetings Calbirders,

To follow up on Dave's email - the Alder flycatcher (continued to look, and later sound, like one) was difficult to refind but was eventually seen by many local birders this afternoon, after I first found it around noon. Satisfyingly, we heard Alder-sounding pip calls from the bushes it was in several times this afternoon, though I don't think anyone observed it calling. Photos deserve further study of course, but I think the initial ID was correct.
It was seen mostly along a patch of lakeshore, and in the riparian between the lake and the wooden bridge.
I will upload photos on my eBird list tomorrow morning, and Dave Compton also had photos.

Kristie
________________________________

Date: 9/30/18 3:51 pm
From: Dave Compton <davcompton60...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>

On Sun, Sep 30, 2018 at 3:31 PM Dave Compton <davcompton60...> wrote:

> Kristie Nelson found a possible Alder Flycatcher at Lake Los Carneros this
> afternoon, along the edge of the lake between the boardwalk and the
> northeast corner. This is a challenging ID, and Jon Dunn, Nick Lethaby, Tom
> Wurster, and others are here trying to establish the ID of the bird in
> question. At least one Willow and a Pac-slope are also here.
>
> Dave Compton
> Santa Barbara
> _._,_._,_
> ------------------------------
> Groups.io Links:
>
> You receive all messages sent to this group.
>
> View/Reply Online (#27671)
> <https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/27671> | Reply To Sender
> <davcompton60...>?subject=Private:%20Re:%20%5Bsbcobirding%5D%20Possible%20Alder%20Flycatcher>
> | Reply To Group
> <main...>?subject=Re:%20%5Bsbcobirding%5D%20Possible%20Alder%20Flycatcher>
> | Mute This Topic <https://groups.io/mt/26436157/857960> | New Topic
> <https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/post>
> ------------------------------
> For everything birding in Santa Barbara County: http://www.sbcobirding.com
> Read the County Reporting List guidelines:
> http://www.sbcobirding.com/countyreportinglist.html
> Updated status & distribution of Santa Barbara County birds:
> https://sites.google.com/site/lehmanbosbc/
> SB Breeding Bird Study: Explore at
> http://santabarbaraaudubon.org/santa-barbara-county-breeding-bird-study/
> _._,_._,_

Back to top

Date: 9/27/18 12:59 pm
From: DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] PELAGIC REPORT: SEP 22 & 23
Hello, CAL Birders,

Shearwater Journeys had two recent pelagic trips departing from Half Moon Bay.

September 22, we had a great trip with calm seas, a good SST break from 55 F to an amazing 59.8 F nearly 30 miles offshore at the Pioneer Canyon. Inshore, we found MARBLED MURRELETS and TUFTED PUFFINS. Offshore, everything about the scene said “tuna” except that the clarity of the water was not good. The seabirds screamed “tuna” though, with both BLACK and ASHY STORM-PETRELS; ARCTIC TERNS, SABINE’S GULLS, many BULLER’S SHEARWATERS, SOUTH POLAR SKUA and all three species of jaegers. Humpback whales, Risso’s and Pacific white-sided dolphins rounded out the cetaceans. It was a beautiful day with uniformly high overcast skies and very calm seas. The leaders on this date included: Alex Rinkert, Steve Hampton, Debi Shearwater with assistance from Tom and Beth Hamel.. We spent the entire day in San Mateo County.

September 23, the very next day presented a whole different scene. The SST’s hovered at 54-55 F throughout the day. The high seas and northwest winds prevented us from getting out to the canyon, but we made it to the edge of the Continental Shelf which we then explored for hours. Many thanks to Monika who chummed lots of birds behind our boat, including all three species of jaegers, SOUTH POLAR SKUA, and a wonderful FLESH-FOOTED SHEARWATER. Note that was saw 2 FLESH-FOOTED SHEARWATERS, one in each county! It was a county tick for many folks on board. The ASHY and BLACK STORM-PETRELS also put on a good show. Again, we had the odd dolphin combination with excellent views of all three species.
The leaders on this date included: Peter Pyle, Scott & Linda Terrill, Tim Miller, Abe Borker, and Debi Shearwater.

Our next trip departing from Half Moon Bay is SUNDAY, OCTOBER 7 with leaders Jim Holmes, Steve Hampton, Christian Schwarz, and Debi Shearwater. Spaces are available. For more information/reservation, contact: <debi...> <mailto:<debi...>.

The complete species list for SEPTEMBER 23, 2018
SHEARWATER JOURNEYS’ HALF MOON BAY PELAGIC TRIP
SAN MATEO/SAN FRANCISCO COUNTIES:

PACIFIC LOON- 7/0
COMMON LOON- 4/0
WESTERN GREBE- 2/0
BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS- 2/13
NORTHERN FULMAR- 20/30
PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATER- 13/34
FLESH-FOOTED SHEARWATER- 1/1
SOOTY SHEARWATER- 17/31
SHORT-TAILED/SOOTY SHEARWATER- 1/0
ASHY STORM-PETREL- 7/29
BLACK STORM-PETREL- 0/8
BROWN PELICAN- 3558/0
BRANDT’S CORMORANT- 47/0
PELAGIC CORMORANT- 6/0
SURF SCOTER- 3/0
BLACK TURNSTONE- 3/0
SURFBIRD- 27/0
RED-NECKED PHALAROPE- 1/3
RED PHALAROPE- 4/7
SOUTH POLAR SKUA- 0/8
POMARINE JAEGER- 0/7
POMARINE/PARASITIC- 0/1
PARASITIC/LONG-TAILED- 3/3
LONG-TAILED JAEGER- 0/15
HEERMANN’S GULL- 22/0
CALIFORNIA GULL- 8/1
WESTERN GULL- 292/99
ARCTIC TERN- 0/7
COMMON MURRE- 200/55
MARBLED MURRELET- 5/0
RHINOCEROS AUKLET- 10/7
BLUE WHALE-4
HUMPBACK WHALE-3
SHORT-BEAKED COMMON DOLPHIN- 30
NORTHERN RIGHT WHALE DOLPHIN- 4
PACIFIC WHITE-SIDED DOLPHIN- 60
OCEAN SUNFISH- 10

I’ve received a number of inquiries regarding the trips this coming weekend departing from Monterey on Sep. 28, 29, and 30. A few spaces are available on each trip. Please email me for more information.

Thanks to all who have joined our trip!

Date: 9/26/18 11:28 am
From: DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: [CALBIRDS] Monterey Bay Birding Festival News
Howdy, Birders,

Please join me at the Monterey Bay Birding Festival, September 27 to 30, headquartered at the top floor of the Watsonville Civic Plaza, 275 Main Street, Watsonville. http://www.montereybaybirding.org <http://www.montereybaybirding.org/>

From California Condors to Black-footed Albatrosses, Wrentits to Ashy Storm-Petrels, bobcats to blue whales, the richness and diversity of wildlife in this area is astounding. A great selection of field trips are on offer covering nearly all of the hottest birding sites in the region. Workshops include bird photography, scientific illustration of birds, and decoy bird carving to name a few. Kayaking and slough safari trips are available at Elkhorn Slough.

Pelagic trips by Shearwater Journeys are scheduled for all three days, with spaces available on all trips. All trips run from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. For reservations, email Debi Shearwater: <debi...> It is possible to get on board, even at the last minute. Each trip is $140/person. We give parking vouchers which save you $10 on exiting the parking lot at the end of the day.

The leader line up for these trips:
FRI. SEP. 28 with Alex Rinkert, Jim Holmes, Debi Shearwater, Tom & Beth Hamel.
SAT. SEP. 29 with Steve Tucker, Sahas Barve, Marcel Holyoak, Clay Kempf, Debi Shearwater.
SUN. SEP. 30 with Alex Rinkert, Sahas Barve, Debi Shearwater, Tom & Beth Hamel.

Special Guest: Liz Gordon of the American Birding Association will be on board the Sat. and Sun. trips.

NEWS: FRIDAY KEYNOTE SPEAKER CHANGED
A family emergency has called the scheduled keynote speaker for Friday, Sep.. 28 away.
I shall be presenting the keynote speech on Friday night, “40 Years of California Seabirding.”
The keynote will begin at 7:30 p.m. at the festival headquarters in Watsonville.
The fee to attend the keynote is $15/person if you are not registered for the full festival. If you are registered for the full festival, the keynote is included.

THE ABA LUDLOW GRISCOM AWARD for OUTSTANDING CONTRIBUTIONS in REGIONAL ORNITHOLOGY will be presented on Saturday, Sep. 29 at 7 p.m. by Liz Gordon, prior to the keynote speech by Jonathan Franzen.
I am honored and gratified to be the recipient of this award for advancing the knowledge of seabird status and distribution. Ann Nightingale nominated me for this award. In reality, the award is shared by the many thousands of birders who have ventured offshore with me during the past 43 years, and continue to do so today. Thank you so much. I hope to see you there!
The fee to attend the keynote and award presentation is $15/person if you are not registered for the full festival. If you are registered for the full festival, the keynote is included.

I hope to see you this weekend, either on a boat, or at the festival!
Seabirding for Science,
Debi Shearwater

DEBRA SHEARWATER
Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
PO Box 190
Hollister, CA 95024
831.637.8527
<debi...>
www.shearwaterjourneys.com
www.shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com

Celebrating 43 Years of Seabirding with Shearwater Journeys

Join us on Facebook!