NECalBirds
Received From Subject
5/20/20 7:41 pm kiltguy18 <jesse.sargent84...> [NECalBirds] Great-tailed Grackle and Black Phoebe Follow-up @ Likely,CA
5/15/20 4:38 pm Kenneth Able <kennethpable...> Re: [NECalBirds] Black Phoebe pair at Likely
5/15/20 11:17 am John Sterling <jsterling...> Re: [NECalBirds] Black Phoebe pair at Likely
5/15/20 9:56 am kiltguy18 <jesse.sargent84...> [NECalBirds] Black Phoebe pair at Likely
5/13/20 1:13 pm <NECalBirds...> Notification <NECalBirds+<notification...> [NECalBirds] New file uploaded to
5/10/20 12:33 pm Frank Hall <fagrhall...> [NECalBirds] Lassen Big Day - May 9, 2020
5/10/20 12:28 pm <NECalBirds...> Notification <NECalBirds+<notification...> [NECalBirds] New file uploaded to
5/8/20 6:28 pm Steve Stump via groups.io <stevestump=<yahoo.com...> Re: [NECalBirds] A second Glossy Ibis was found
5/8/20 5:52 pm Dennis Serdehely <birders...> Re: [NECalBirds] A second Glossy Ibis was found
5/7/20 6:46 pm Steve Stump via groups.io <stevestump=<yahoo.com...> [NECalBirds] A second Glossy Ibis was found
5/7/20 5:23 pm Todd Easterla <teasterla...> Re: [NECalBirds] Glossy Ibis
5/7/20 4:40 pm Steve Stump via groups.io <stevestump=<yahoo.com...> [NECalBirds] Glossy Ibis
5/7/20 2:29 pm Bradley M. Stovall via groups.io <bmspi1=<aol.com...> Re: [NECalBirds] Red Knot
5/7/20 2:12 pm Steve Stump via groups.io <stevestump=<yahoo.com...> [NECalBirds] Red Knot

Back to top
Date: 5/20/20 7:41 pm
From: kiltguy18 <jesse.sargent84...>
Subject: [NECalBirds] Great-tailed Grackle and Black Phoebe Follow-up @ Likely,CA
Hi All,
Another surprise while irrigating at Likely. While scanning through a flock
of gulls and ibis on a freshly wet pasture, I had a Great-tailed Grackle
fly overhead and on towards the Pit River.
Also, today during my lunch I was able to confirm that the Black Phoebes
are indeed building a nest, but not where I originally thought.

Stay safe and Good Birding,
Jesse Sargent
Madeline, CA

Back to top
Date: 5/15/20 4:38 pm
From: Kenneth Able <kennethpable...>
Subject: Re: [NECalBirds] Black Phoebe pair at Likely
Hi, Jesse:
Black phoebe was documented nesting under the Rt. 299 bridge in Adin back
in 2013, after being seen there in summer for at least a year to two prior
to that. I think it now nests there more or less annually. Probably other
places in Modoc by now also, but I don''t know specific localities. Still
good to document its spread.

Ken Able
McArthur, CA

--
Kenneth P. Able
535-000 Little Valley Road

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the
average voter. Attributed to Winston Churchill

Back to top
Date: 5/15/20 11:17 am
From: John Sterling <jsterling...>
It is noteworthy but increasingly expected. This species has been slowly expanding its range into NE California since the late 1980s.
John Sterling
530 908-3836
26 Palm Ave
Woodland, CA 95695

> On May 15, 2020, at 9:56 AM, kiltguy18 <jesse.sargent84...> wrote:
>

> Hi all,
> I don't know how rare Black Phoebe is for Modoc, but eBird indicates that it is. Anyway, for the past few years I've had an individual show up at a property I irrigate. This year it has a mate and they have initiated nest building in one of the old carports.
> On another note, there's been a good number of Evening Grosbeaks feeding in the trees along the South Fork Pit River near the Hwy 395 bridge.
>
> Stay safe and good birding!
> Jesse Sargent
> Madeline,CA

Back to top

Date: 5/13/20 1:13 pm
From: <NECalBirds...> Notification <NECalBirds+<notification...>
Subject: [NECalBirds] New file uploaded to
Hello,

This email message is a notification to let you know that the following files have been uploaded to the Files area of the <NECalBirds...> group.

* /LassenCoBirdList2020.doc ( https://groups.io/g/NECalBirds/files/LassenCoBirdList2020.doc )

*Uploaded By:* Bradley M. Stovall <bmspi1...>

The most up-to-date checklist for county

Cheers,
The Groups.io Team

Back to top
Date: 5/10/20 12:33 pm
From: Frank Hall <fagrhall...>
Subject: [NECalBirds] Lassen Big Day - May 9, 2020
Folks,
Frank Hall and Steve Stump attempted a Lassen County big dayon Saturday and ended with about 130 species. Primary locations were FlemingUnit of Honey lake Wildlife Area (83 species), lower Shaffer Mt. to SecretValley (13), Leavitt Lake (16), and Eagle Lake Summit vicinity (41). We hadalmost 100 species before noon.
Notable species for the day included:

Snowy Plover(Fleming)

Black-throated,Brewer’s and Lark Sparrows (Shaffer Mt.)

Yellow-breastedChat (Secret Valley)

All 5 swallowspecies

Williamson’s Sapsucker(near Green’s Peak)

Sooty Grouse– One standing in the county road to Eagle Lake at mid-day and one heard later.

Dusky, PacificSlope, Hammond’s, and Olive-sided Flycatcher

Lassen Updates:

Glossy Ibis– Up to two birds Susanville WTP over last 6 days; usually come in to roost 4-6pm

Red Knot– one with 200+ Long-billed Dowitchers at the WTP for one day last week

Broad-tailedHummingbird – one female at Steve’s feeder every day for last 7(contact him)

Red-breastedMerganser – one male about 9:30 AM this morning on Susan River nearRiverside Drive (whacko location and very late in season!)

Cheers, Frank

Back to top
Date: 5/10/20 12:28 pm
From: <NECalBirds...> Notification <NECalBirds+<notification...>
Hello,

This email message is a notification to let you know that the following files have been uploaded to the Files area of the <NECalBirds...> group.

* /LASSEN_ACCIDENTAL_2020.xls ( https://groups.io/g/NECalBirds/files/LASSEN_ACCIDENTAL_2020.xls )

*Uploaded By:* Bradley M. Stovall <bmspi1...>

Lassen County list of accidental birds. If anyone sees anything amiss...let me know so I can fix it. Note first that species accounts are cut off at 5/season.

Cheers,
The Groups.io Team

Back to top
Date: 5/8/20 6:28 pm
From: Steve Stump via groups.io <stevestump=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: Re: [NECalBirds] A second Glossy Ibis was found
May 8, 2020 1605
As we were leaving the Susanville Effluent Ponds a group of Ibis flew in. One of them was a Glossy. Jim Lomax picked it out and called. The Ponds are open M-F 0730 to 1600. Steve Stump

On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 5:52 PM, Dennis Serdehely<birders...> wrote: Great finds Steve. We may half to go up to Oregon tomorrow or Sunday and then return by way of Susanville, probably on Monday or Tuesday.. Are the treatment ponds open weekdays to birders. If so and if these birds  are still there we would like to stop and see them. Hope you will post updates.
Dennis SerdehelyFernley, NV
On Thursday, May 7, 2020, 06:46:38 PM PDT, Steve Stump via groups.io <stevestump=<yahoo.com...> wrote:

May 7, 2020, 1844

A second Glossy Ibis was found about 50 yards from the first one. I have included a link below to an eBird checklist with photos. The gate to the back fence will be open at 0730 tomorrow. It is accessible from Skyline Dr. Steve Stump

https://ebird.org/checklist/S68565978

Back to top

Date: 5/7/20 5:23 pm
From: Todd Easterla <teasterla...>
Subject: Re: [NECalBirds] Glossy Ibis
WOW! I bet that went to the whole group! Sorry.

Todd

Date: 5/7/20 5:23 pm
From: Todd Easterla <teasterla...>
Damn it man!!!!!!!!! STUMPWATER!!!!!!

TE

Date: 5/7/20 4:40 pm
From: Steve Stump via groups.io <stevestump=<yahoo.com...>

Date: 5/7/20 2:29 pm
From: Bradley M. Stovall via groups.io <bmspi1=<aol.com...>
Subject: Re: [NECalBirds] Red Knot
Great bird! Let me know when you will be there tomorrow morning and I will drive up...mask and all.

Stovall Associates Investigative & Consulting Services PI 16157Bradley M. StovallPO Box 4413
Chico, CA 95927530-345-1386

There is currently at least one Red Knot in with over 200 dowitchers at the Susanville Effluent Ponds. Steve Stump

Back to top
Date: 5/7/20 2:12 pm
From: Steve Stump via groups.io <stevestump=<yahoo.com...>