AKBirding
Received From Subject
2/14/19 4:46 pm <kconfer12...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Canceled AAS Trip to Seward for Feb 16th
2/12/19 7:40 pm Drew Lindow <drewlindow...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Goose Flyover in Cordova
2/12/19 3:33 pm Chris Maack <cmaack...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Owl and shrike
2/12/19 12:52 pm <swinak...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Couple of observations
2/11/19 8:57 pm <jtam...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Audubon Program Reminder
2/11/19 2:34 am <kenaibirder...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Of Siskins and Redpolls
2/10/19 11:52 pm Sulli Gibson <sulli.gibson...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Anchorage area, 2/10
2/7/19 1:49 pm <dirthawkeref...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Northern Hawk Owl (airport)
2/4/19 4:26 pm <pat...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Hawk Owl continues
2/3/19 4:34 pm <kconfer12...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Anchorage Audubon's Annual Seward Winter Birding Field Trip
2/3/19 10:34 am Aaron Bowman <ampbowman...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> Re: [AK Birding] Tips to Find Rock Sandpipers in Anchorage
2/2/19 11:23 am Courtney Brown <blackwolfbrown...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Tips to Find Rock Sandpipers in Anchorage
2/2/19 9:48 am Anthony Newcomer <onekoolkid0...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Cleveland area
2/1/19 10:34 pm <jtam...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Nome Birding Year ‘Round
1/31/19 5:29 pm Chuck <ciliff2...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] PALMER / 3 Red Breasted Mergansers, 1 mallard
1/31/19 3:39 pm <sjanik23...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Common Redpolls - East Anchorage
1/29/19 11:33 pm <c_griz...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Thursday, January 29, 2019 Entertaining Raven
1/28/19 3:38 pm Steve Friend <sjfriend...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Anchor Point birds
1/27/19 5:00 pm Sulli Gibson <sulli.gibson...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Southport Northern Hawk Owl
1/26/19 9:41 pm <c_griz...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Thursday, January 24, 2019 Diverters installed!
1/23/19 5:50 pm Kathy Buesseler <kbuesseler...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Red Crossbills and Steller's Jay Ninilchik
1/23/19 2:57 pm Bob Winckler <winckler...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] 2019 - CHECKLIST OF ALASKA BIRDS
1/19/19 8:36 pm <kenaibirder...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Kenai Flats Gyrfalcon 1/19

Back to top
Date: 2/14/19 4:46 pm
From: <kconfer12...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Canceled AAS Trip to Seward for Feb 16th
Sorry to let folks know, but we are going to cancel the Anchorage Audubon Society field trip to Seward that is scheduled for Saturday, Feb 16th. We apologize for the late notice, but after checking driving conditions for Saturday and talking with folks down in Seward, we fear that it will not be safe on the return trip from Seward to Anchorage. Therefore the trip is cancelled and will not be rescheduled at this time.

It was a difficult decision, but safety and everyone’s well being is uppermost in our minds. We apologize for the inconvenience. If you know someone who is planning on going and might not see this notice, please let them know that the event has been canceled. Thanks.

Again, We are very sorry.

Keith Confer (on behalf of Andrew Fisher)

Anchorage

Back to top
Date: 2/12/19 7:40 pm
From: Drew Lindow <drewlindow...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Goose Flyover in Cordova
This morning Trae Lohse and I saw a goose flying overhead in Cordova. It
honked once which is what drew our attention and our immediate reaction was
white-fronted goose, but I've just listened to tundra bean-goose recordings
and don't trust my memory of what I heard enough to rule that out. We
didn't see it well, but enough to tell it was an anser spuh. I hesitate to
assume it was a GWFG just because of the weird time of year. Either way an
interesting bird. Coincidence the TUBG in Oregon hasn't been seen for a few
days? It was heading NW towards Anchorage so keep an eye out.

-Drew L.

Back to top
Date: 2/12/19 3:33 pm
From: Chris Maack <cmaack...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Owl and shrike
Went looking for new year birds this morning and finally found the hawk owl at the Lake Hood-Helio intersection. Blatantly obvious once you spot it. Tried for the snipe at the west end of the Ship Creek slough with no luck. Very hard to access a good viewing position without having to walk right in the street with the big trucks. Best to go there on Sundays I guess.

As I pulled into my own street (Alexander Ave) I spotted a shrike perched on the tip of a tree. Woo hoo.

Chris Maack
Anchorage, AK

Back to top
Date: 2/12/19 12:52 pm
From: <swinak...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Couple of observations
Willow/Sockeye Burn area. Last week I had a Boreal Owl roosting under the eve of my cabin in Willow. I have not heard them calling and only saw it while I was having my morning coffee. Hairy Woodpeckers are the only ones I've seen recently, although I can hear others drumming out in the woods. There is a couple of feet of snow on the ground and a thick layer of ice and then another foot or so of snow on top. Without snowshoes it's impossible to see which birds are hammering and nearly impossible to get close enough quietly.
Yesterday on a hike up Power Line Pass trail in Anchorage there were fresh ptarmigan tracks in the snow but they were all out past the bridge to the "Ramp," about 2.5 miles out from the parking lot. I never did see or hear any, but they are around. It's probably easier to spot them early in the morning at Arctic Valley parking lot.
Three grays jays were also present at Glen Alps.

Steve W.

Back to top
Date: 2/11/19 8:57 pm
From: <jtam...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Audubon Program Reminder
As a Reminder, Anchorage Audubon’s February program will be a fabulous opportunity for anyone who has ever wanted to visit the Birding Gold Mine of Nome, Alaska. Lynn Barber made an incredible 11 birding trips to Nome during 2018, and she’ll share her photos of the birds, mammals and scenery with us on February 21.

As the seasons unfolded she drove along the three main roads that lead out of Nome to Council, the Kougarok River and Teller. She documented the arrivals and departures of migrant, breeding and wintering birds, including McKay’s and Snow Buntings, huge flocks of geese and ducks in summer, and mixed gull flocks in early winter. She listened to and photographed singing Bluethroats, warblers and sparrows, saw young loons grow up, and watched the mountains and tundra change.

And if that’s not enough, there’ll be Cookies! We hope to see you there.

Full details are at www.anchorageaudubon.org http://www.anchorageaudubon.org/
Thursday, February 21; 7:00 pm
BP Energy Center

Back to top
Date: 2/11/19 2:34 am
From: <kenaibirder...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Of Siskins and Redpolls
Unlike other Kenai Peninsula Coastal areas the greater Kenai area does not typically harbor large numbers of PINE SISKINS in winter, or any time for that matter. But the winter of 2018-19 has been unusual in this respect since the first half of winter, November through January, Pine Siskins have been the "norm' while COMMON REDPOLLS have been the exception. This is hard core boreal habitat, unlike Homer or Seward or Anchorage, yet unbelievably siskins have been common while redpolls have been scarce to absent. This is rare in our area especially when that condition persists for months. Of course all that changed with the advent of February as redpolls finally moved-in in force. On February 2 we finally started to see redpolls appear locally. On the Kasilof Flats we encountered a flock of 700 Common Redpoll foraging with a flock of 350 SNOW BUNTINGS and a handful of MCKAY's BUNTINGS. When foraging in the vast open country of the Kasilof or Kenai Flats redpolls resort to feeding on Seaside Arrowgrass (Triglochin maritima) and American Dune Grass (Leymus mollis) seed heads just as the bunting typically do. Since the birch catkin crop is poor to non-existent in our area, grasses are being exploited more than normal by area winter finches.

Toby and Laura Burke

Kenai, AK

Back to top
Date: 2/10/19 11:52 pm
From: Sulli Gibson <sulli.gibson...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Anchorage area, 2/10
Ben Lagasse and I went on a lengthy tour of Anchorage for the majority of
the day today. We mainly checked different neighborhoods for fruit-eating
birds and finches (Government Hill, Jewel Lake, etc.) as well as several
open water spots for waterfowl (many Ship and Chester Creek locations and
Cuddy Pond). I can't say we found anything new and exciting, but our
highlights follow.

The two WILSON'S SNIPE continue at the settling pond by Overlook Park along
with the female GREEN-WINGED TEAL. The snipe were flushed from the mucky
east end of the settling pond, although I did not encounter them there on
2/7. The female BARROW'S GOLDENEYE is still around at Spenard Crossing and
we also had a few PINE SISKINs fly over in the adjacent birdy neighborhood
(near Bunker and W 19th). Lastly, the two NORTHERN HAWK OWLs also continue
at their respective winter territories (Lake Hood Drive and Helio Place
near the airport and Southport Park). They seem quite faithful to these two
relatively small areas.

Sulli Gibson
Anchorage, Alaska

Back to top
Date: 2/7/19 1:49 pm
From: <dirthawkeref...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Northern Hawk Owl (airport)
There was a Northern Hawk Owl at the snow dump near Lake Hood Dr. & Helio Pl. at noon. Working the same location as the NHO last winter.

Eric Fontaine

Back to top
Date: 2/4/19 4:26 pm
From: <pat...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Hawk Owl continues
No. Hawk Owl perched in Southport Park this afternoon behind Fire Station #15 along Southport Drive where previously reported.
Pat Pourchot
Anchorage, AK

Back to top
Date: 2/3/19 4:34 pm
From: <kconfer12...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Anchorage Audubon's Annual Seward Winter Birding Field Trip
Join Andrew Fisher and Anchorage Audubon for a free winter birding excursion to enjoy Seward's diversity of wintering birds and the possibility of a few rarities (pied-billed grebe, hooded mergansers, etc.). Come dressed for whatever the weather might be, bring your ice grippers, and plan for a fun day with great company.

Bring your binoculars and spotting scope (if you have one...there never are too many!), your field guide, and other favorite birding gear. You may also wish to bring walkie-talkies/cell phones to communicate between cars. Donations of sunflower bird seed or chunky peanut butter are greatly appreciated for one of our regular bird feeder hotspots.

Plan on gathering with the group back at the Harbormaster's for a midday restroom stop and lunch; bring your own or buy it locally. We'll meet here again around 3:30 pm to regroup for the return trip to Anchorage.

Carpooling to Seward and while in Seward is highly encouraged. Bring money to cover your share of the driver's fuel expenses. Drivers and trip leaders are not expected to contribute. If you are interested in carpooling (driving or riding) from Anchorage, meet in the parking lot (South end, near Huffman) of Carrs on Huffman at 6:45 AM.

All participants are required to sign a standard liability waiver (which will be provided in Seward). In the event of a cancellation there will be no reschedule date for this trip.

Refer to Anchorage Audubon's website (www.anchorageaudubon.com) for additional details). See you all there!

Saturday, February 16th, 9:30 AM.
Meet in front of the Seward Harbormaster's restrooms,

1300 Fourth Ave, at the south end of the Seward Boat Harbor.

Back to top
Date: 2/3/19 10:34 am
From: Aaron Bowman <ampbowman...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [AK Birding] Tips to Find Rock Sandpipers in Anchorage
Hi Courtney,
Try scanning from the edge of the motorcross in Kincaid on an ebb tide. In
winter they follow the ice blocks and feed around them as the ice scrapes
the top layer of mud and exposes food. Another spot is from Pt. Campbell
beach in Kincaid. Again a falling tide with decently exposed flats seems to
work best there.

Watch for them in flight over the ice and if you are lucky they may get
reasonably close at the Campbell beach.

Good luck!

Aaron Bowman
Cordova

On Sat, Feb 2, 2019, 10:23 AM Courtney Brown <blackwolfbrown...>
[AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> wrote:

> Hello Birders,
> I’d like to see our Cook Inlet sandpipers here in Anchorage. Can you offer
> some tips as to best locations, timing relative to the tide cycle, or other
> info? Thank you!
> Courtney

Back to top

Date: 2/2/19 9:48 am
From: Anthony Newcomer <onekoolkid0...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Cleveland area
Good morning my fellow birders. Hope all is well with everyone and you all are out there finding birds with maybe some rarities, lifers or even FOS birds. Anyway, I am off to Cleveland, Ohio in 2 weeks and was wondering if anybody is familiar with the area and could share some options, should I find time to explore. Included is a list of target birds I would like to add to my list. Your ideas and knowledge is appreciated as always.

1)Great-Black Backed Gull
2)Lesser-Black Backed Gull
3)Red Bellied Woodpecker
4)American Goldfinch
5) White Breasted Nuthatch
6) White Throated Sparrow
7) Pileated Woodpecker
8) Eastern Towhee
9) Red Shouldered Hawk
10) Cedar Waxwing
11) Iceland Gull
12) Eastern Screech Owl
13) Mute Swan
14) Fish Crow
15) Gray Catbird
16) White Eyed Vireo

Do any of these represent a good chance to see? I pulled these from exploring the Cleveland area of eBird. I saw that the Cleveland Lakefront Nature Preserve was on the Hotspots list and if it is near downtown I plan to try my best to visit. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 2/1/19 10:34 pm
From: <jtam...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Nome Birding Year ‘Round
NOME BIRDING YEAR-ROUND
By Lynn Barber

Date: 1/31/19 5:29 pm
From: Chuck <ciliff2...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] PALMER / 3 Red Breasted Mergansers, 1 mallard
Old Matanuska- spring creek, which seems very open
Chuck

Sent from my iPhone
In advance, please excuse any typos and my brevity

Back to top
Date: 1/31/19 3:39 pm
From: <sjanik23...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Common Redpolls - East Anchorage
Several hundred redpolls at my feeder today off of Muldoon. I've been in this house for 13 years and this is the most I've ever had.

Steve Janik

Back to top
Date: 1/29/19 11:33 pm
From: <c_griz...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Thursday, January 29, 2019 Entertaining Raven
Thursday, January 29, 2019 Entertaining Raven
Seward, Alaska

Sunrise 9:20 am, sunset 5:03 pm for a total daylight of 9 hours and 20 minutes.
Tomorrow will be 4 minutes and 53 seconds longer.

Cloudy skies today; temperatures ranged from a low of 28 to a high of 41, and calm. Quite a contrast to the frigid polar vortex slamming into the Midwest! But, hey, the forecast calls for temperatures plunging to 15-23º on Friday. Above zero.

A curious RAVEN flew past on my walk today. I called, he answered and landed nearby for a little chit-chat. The dog didn’t appreciate his presence and tried to run him off. Raven lifted off with a few choice words but landed temptingly nearby on the ground, just out of reach. We continued the conversation, interrupted by dog chase, bird fly, land nearby, repeat.

He was splendid; horns up, shaggy throat feathers gleaming, totally aware of just how close was safe to tease the dog. I chucked the tennis ball away from Mr. Personality to distract the dog. To my surprise, wily Raven took off after it, snatched it off the ground in his strong bill, and flew off!

I called after him; luckily, he again landed nearby. He dropped the ball to answer me and the dog moved in to save the day. I pocketed the tempting ball while the Raven circled, calling. We continued walking and talking as he flew overhead or perched on nearby snags. It was so fun to connect with this charming conversational character!

Most other birds are so wary, intent on feeding and survival. No time for loitering or games. This guy, in contrast, seemed carefree, well-fed, playful, and so friendly.
Another Raven swooped in to join him on his perch, watching as we walked away. Many minutes later as we reached the car, the pair flew past and we exchanged a few more words. I hope I said, “Nice to meet you, amazing Raven! Talk to you later!”

Happy Birding!
Carol Griswold
Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter

Back to top
Date: 1/28/19 3:38 pm
From: Steve Friend <sjfriend...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Anchor Point birds
So, been quite a while since my last bird llist.
Above Anchor Point, about 10 miles up North Fork rd.
Gray Jay's (Canada Jays)Stellers Jay (1st to come during winter in 13 years)RavensBoreal Chickadees Black-capped Chickadees Red-breasted NuthatchesPine Grosbeaks (16, only half of normal)Pine Siskins (100+, way more then last 7 years)Common Redpoll (only 2!, never this low)Red Crossbills (17, off and on. Coming to feeder)Bald EagleMagpies
No owls heard since Nov?? Of course, not any hares up here either. Also, least amount of snow on ground for this time (less then 8 inches)
SteveAnchor Point

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Back to top
Date: 1/27/19 5:00 pm
From: Sulli Gibson <sulli.gibson...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Southport Northern Hawk Owl
On 25 January, after a couple failed attempts to find a Northern Hawk Owl
at Carr Gottstein Park, I decided to check some of the nearby boggy habitat
that actually looked better for a Hawk Owl to me. Pretty quickly I was able
to find one at Southport Park near the fire station. It was actively
hunting around the park and made for a pretty enjoyable experience. The
bird was still present today (27 January), actually on the eave of one of
the townhomes. If you go, it seems that there is legal parking at the north
end of Discovery View Drive. Please be respectful and enjoy!

Sulli Gibson
Anchorage, AK

Back to top
Date: 1/26/19 9:41 pm
From: <c_griz...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Thursday, January 24, 2019 Diverters installed!
Thursday, January 24, 2019 Diverters installed!
Seward, Alaska

After a long wait through weeks of bitter cold, snow, ice, strong winds, then a deluge of cold rain, the Seward Electric linemen seized the day.

I was very pleased to watch them reuse bird diverters salvaged from the Lagoon power lines on the east-west power lines along the Waterfront where the BALD EAGLE died on December 27. Now, hopefully, Eagles will see those lines on gray flat-light days.

Thank you to the Seward Electric Department and crew!

Happy Birding!
Carol Griswold
Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter

For photos, please visit my blog at <https://sporadicbird.blogspot.com>

Back to top
Date: 1/23/19 5:50 pm
From: Kathy Buesseler <kbuesseler...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Red Crossbills and Steller's Jay Ninilchik
The RED CROSSBILLS have returned to our feeder after being gone for about 2 weeks. Some are a beautiful orange/yellow along with the red and lighter yellow-breasted birds with dark wings and no white.
One of our STELLER'S JAYS have finally returned after no sign of him for several months. Also, 2 GRAY JAYS.
Kathy Buesseler Ninilchik, AK

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Back to top
Date: 1/23/19 2:57 pm
From: Bob Winckler <winckler...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] 2019 - CHECKLIST OF ALASKA BIRDS
Hi Birders,

The 25th Edition of the Checklist of Alaska Birds - 2019, is now available for downloading at:

<http://www.universityofalaskamuseumbirds.org/products/checklist.pdf>

Have fun,
Bob

Back to top
Date: 1/19/19 8:36 pm
From: <kenaibirder...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Kenai Flats Gyrfalcon 1/19
At 2 PM a gray morph GYRFALCON was perched upon the locked-up lower river ice of the Kenai River eyeing gulls and a few Common Goldeneye in the small ice-free leads opened up by the tidal action among the unconsolidated free ice nearby. It came and went like a phantom while we were there, and we were unable to refind it on the Flats later in the day.

Toby and Laura Burke
Kenai, AK

Join us on Facebook!