AKBirding
Received From Subject
6/17/19 1:57 pm <swinak...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Spenard crossing
6/17/19 9:33 am Lani Raymond <lanibirder...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Homer/Kachemak Bay Birders Trip to Eagle Lake/Jaeger Bog: 6-16-19
6/13/19 9:57 am <steve_scordino...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Joint Anchorage Audubon/Alaska Native Plant Society hike on Saturday
6/11/19 12:56 pm <kenaibirder...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] American Tree Sparrow
6/11/19 1:41 am Steve Friend <sjfriend...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Ancor Point, North Fork rd birds
6/10/19 2:10 pm <cathyfoerster...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Attu trip
6/9/19 12:55 pm Peter Scully <peterandrewscullyii...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Marbled Godwit - Anchorage
6/8/19 9:22 pm Dave Carter <dwcarter...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Re: Auklets and Murrelets
6/8/19 5:02 pm Chris Maack <cmaack...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Goose Lake Follow-up
6/8/19 4:49 pm Thede Tobish <tgtljo...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] White-winged Crossbills
6/6/19 2:18 pm <akjohnm...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Auklets and Murrelets
6/5/19 10:27 am Franklin Haas <fhaasbirds...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Adak Update
6/5/19 12:46 am <c_griz...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Monday, June 3, 2019 Long-tailed Jaeger, Whimbrels, and a Snipe
6/4/19 9:49 am <c_griz...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Sunday, June 2, 2019 Exit Glacier Swainson’s and Gray-cheeked Thrushes
6/3/19 12:18 pm Chris Maack <cmaack...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Drama at Goose Lake
6/3/19 12:01 pm <wkeys...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] New Westchester Viewing Platform
6/3/19 11:59 am <wkeys...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Birding Smackdown This Saturday.
6/2/19 4:01 pm <corneliuschris40...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] walking the road behind Potter Marsh
6/2/19 10:14 am Franklin Haas <fhaasbirds...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Adak update
6/1/19 11:49 pm <kenaibirder...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Parasitic Jaegers South of Kenai 6/1
5/31/19 1:28 am <kenaibirder...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Re: Kenai Flats 5/30
5/31/19 12:27 am <kenaibirder...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Kenai Flats 5/30
5/30/19 2:09 pm <BradMeiklejohn...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Falcated Duck Continues 5/30
5/30/19 10:00 am Chris Maack <cmaack...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Goose Lake Report
5/29/19 11:23 pm Aaron Lang <birdingak...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Gambell update: 5/29
5/29/19 7:02 am <kenaibirder...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Kenai Flats 5/26 + 28
5/28/19 11:46 pm <c_griz...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] May 27, 2019 Kittiwake dramas!
5/28/19 10:03 pm <c_griz...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Tuesday, May 28, 2019 Swan cygnets! Baby swallows!
5/28/19 10:48 am <pat...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Falcated Duck today
5/27/19 11:57 am Franklin Haas <fhaasbirds...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Adak update
5/26/19 11:10 pm Aaron Lang <birdingak...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Gambell Report
5/26/19 1:26 pm Chuck <ciliff2...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] PALMER OSPREY
5/25/19 11:18 pm Aaron Lang <birdingak...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] RED-FLANKED BLUETAIL, Gambell
5/25/19 5:28 pm George Matz <geomatz41...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Kachemak Bay Shorebird Monitoring
5/23/19 5:38 pm <tarbox...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Kenai Refuge Walk this Saturday - Keen Eye Bird Club
5/22/19 6:40 pm Paul Lehman <lehman.paul...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Gambell news, early & mid- May
5/21/19 1:41 pm 'Meehan, Joe (DFG)' <joe.meehan...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Potter Marsh Bird Walks - June and July 2019
5/20/19 9:35 pm <wkeys...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Audubon Picnic THIS THURSDAY
5/20/19 9:21 pm <wkeys...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Early Morning Bird Walk This Thursday
5/20/19 12:47 pm <c_griz...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Sunday, May 12, 2019 Homer Yellow-billed Loon (late post)
5/20/19 11:02 am Thede Tobish <tgtljo...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...> [AK Birding] Coastal Trail passerines

Back to top
Date: 6/17/19 1:57 pm
From: <swinak...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Spenard crossing
A Redhead & Canvasback were at the Spenard Crossing this morning at about 9:30am

Steve W

Back to top
Date: 6/17/19 9:33 am
From: Lani Raymond <lanibirder...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Homer/Kachemak Bay Birders Trip to Eagle Lake/Jaeger Bog: 6-16-19
Kachemak Bay Birders had a great trip out East End Road this morning led by
Michelle Michaud and Jim Herbert. No rain and only a little breeze made it
a totally Great Day to Bird with many interesting species everywhere we
went!

Wonderful to see the 3 beautiful Pacific Loons at Eagle Lake and 2 Merlin,
great thrush, warblers and sparrows also. What a scenic lake. Species seen
at Eagle Lake:
PACIFIC LOON (3)
WILSON'S SNIPE
MERLIN (2)
ALDER FLYCATCHER
OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER
BLACK-BILLED MAGPIE
COMMON RAVEN
RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET
VARIED THRUSH
HERMIT THRUSH
AMERICAN ROBIN
WILSON'S WARBLER
YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER
ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER
GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW
FOX SPARROW

It was great to have NO traffic going by on the road by the Jaeger Bog,
perhaps because it was a Sunday? (Some other trips up there have been
impacted by frequent gravel trucks going by kicking up lots of dust.) The
jaegers appeared to be nesting out in the bog but then for a while the two
of them were flying around, a ways off but then one returned to the nest.
Also enjoyed the harriers flying around, easy to see in the open areas. The
Gray-cheeked Thrush was singing away and also let us get good views of him.
Jaeger Bog species:
PARASITIC JAEGERS (2)
WILSON'S SNIPE
MERLIN
NORTHERN HARRIER
GRAY-CHEEKED THRUSH
ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER
YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER
WILSON'S WARBLER
YELLOW WARBLER
GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW
FOX SPARROW
SAVANNAH SPARROW

When we went up the road a ways past the bog to the gravel pit on Michelle
spotted a SHORT-EARED OWL just sitting on a stump!

At the end we made a short stop at Fritz Creek and saw a WESTERN
WOOD-PEWEE, a WHITE-WIGED CROSSBILL (which may of us haven't seen for a
long time...), and VIOLET-GREEN and TREE SWALLOWS to add to our list.

Indeed A Great Day to Bird!

Back to top
Date: 6/13/19 9:57 am
From: <steve_scordino...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Joint Anchorage Audubon/Alaska Native Plant Society hike on Saturday
15 June, Saturday: Arctic Valley & Mt. Gordon Lyon
Time: 10 AM (bring a lunch)
Location: Arctic Valley Ski Area (Parking $5.00 / day)

Contact: <dennis.ronsse...> mailto:<dennis.ronsse...> or <steve_scordino...> mailto:<steve_scordino...> for more information, possible car pooling, previous plant & bird info. Open to the public

Over the years, this has been my favorite Audubon field trip because it not only brought me into alpine habitats that I rarely explored, but the hike is co-led by botanical gurus. Dennis Ronsse has an encyclopedic knowledge of the flowers along the hike. I have found the group overall in the past is interested in all aspects of nature and are not just limited to their own areas of specific interest.

As far as birds go, I scouted the hike on June 2 and saw American Pipits, Horned Larks, Townsend's Solitaire, and a Rock Ptarmigan. Likewise, Cole Talbott reported seeing a Northern Wheatear in the location we intend to hike.

When I scouted the hike, the trail was still quite wet. I did the hike in tennis shoes, but hiking boots would likely have provided better footing. The first part of the trail is a pretty gradual climb, but it will get more steep once we climb Mt. Gordon Lyon. There will likely be some areas of the hike that will be off trail. I have arthritis in my knees and toes and I was not too sore after this hike.

Kids are welcome, but please use common sense on whether your kid can handle the hike and not scaring away birds/wildlife. My wife and 6-year old will join the lower reaches of the hike, but will not be going to the peak with us. People are welcome to leave the hike whenever they feel it appropriate.

Back to top
Date: 6/11/19 12:56 pm
From: <kenaibirder...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] American Tree Sparrow
There was an eBird report of a American Tree Sparrow in the greater Soldotna/Kenai area. These birds are uncommon breeders on the Kenai Peninsula. They breed in sub-alpine shrub habitat. A mid-June observation of one in the Kenai lowlands would be exceptional, since these birds would normally be on their breeding territories - in the mountains. The eBird report provided no photos and sparse details, especially concerning identification. Is the bird coming to a feeder? Is it still persisting?

If more is know please do tell.

Toby Burke
Kenai, AK

Back to top
Date: 6/11/19 1:41 am
From: Steve Friend <sjfriend...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Ancor Point, North Fork rd birds
Been a while for my list as I was gone for almost 2 months. Love hearing all the bird songs surrounding our home. Here is what I've been able to ID the last 2 days as seen or heard at our home above Anchor Point near North Fork rd, about mile 9,Sandhill CranesBald Eagles Ravens Canadian Jay'sJuncosLincoln Sparrow Golden-crownded Sparrow Ruby-crowned KingletsAlder Flycatcher Olive-sided Flycatcher Red-breasted Nuthatches Townsend WarblersYellow-rumped Warblers Orange-crowned Warblers Wilson's WarblersRobin'sVaried ThrushHermit ThrushSure I'm forgetting something here. Oh well, can't catch them all. Also a couple calls I've been unable to place yet (really need to get out my AK bird song CD again).Remarkably absent are the Snipes. Had a couple before I left but nothing seen or heard in 5 days since returning.Happy birdingSteve Friend, Anchor PointSent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Back to top
Date: 6/10/19 2:10 pm
From: <cathyfoerster...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Attu trip
Just got back from birding Adak to Attu with Zugunruhe Birding Tours. Great trip. Great people. Great birds.

By far the best bird was the STELLER’S SEA-EAGLE on Attu.

Other birds of note on Attu: Both TAIGA and TUNDRA BEAN GOOSE, TUFTED DUCK,LESSER SAND-PLOVER, GREAT KNOT, LONG-TOED STING, COMMON SNIPE, COMMON SANDPIPER, GRAY-TAILED TATTLER, COMMON GREENSHANK, WOOD SANDPIPER, BLUETHROAT, and SIBERIAN RUBYTHROAT. Our only problems were weather that was too nice and no winds blowing from the west.

On the boat between Adak and Attu lots of alcids: COMMON and THICK-BILLED MURRE; PIGEON GUILLEMOT; MARBLED, KITTLITZ’S, and ANCIENT MURRELET, CASSIN’S, PARAKEET, LEAST, WHISKERED, and CRESTED AUKLET; HORNED and TUFTED PUFFIN.

Also on the pelagic part of the trip: RED-LEGGED and BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKE; LAYSAN, BLACK-FOOTED, AND SHORT-TAILED ALBATROSS; and PELAGIC AND RED-FACED CORMORANT.

Couldn’t make the report sooner; no cell service in the Bering Sea. But I don’t guess anyone would have been able to get to Attu for the eagle, anyway.

I highly recommend the trip. Beautiful place that hardly anyone gets to see. Super guide. Great crew on the Puk-Uk. (Zandra called herself our cook, but she was more of a chef.)

Cathy Foerster

Anchorage

Sent from Windows Mail

Back to top
Date: 6/9/19 12:55 pm
From: Peter Scully <peterandrewscullyii...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Marbled Godwit - Anchorage
Just south of Fish Creek on the mudflats with one Hudwit.

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 6/8/19 9:22 pm
From: Dave Carter <dwcarter...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Re: Auklets and Murrelets

From the north

Back to top
Date: 6/8/19 5:02 pm
From: Chris Maack <cmaack...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Goose Lake Follow-up
After the loon drama on Goose, I saw no loons on Tuesday (June 4). Did they all leave or kill each other? But this morning I found one Pacific.

Chris Maack
Anchorage, AK

Back to top
Date: 6/8/19 4:49 pm
From: Thede Tobish <tgtljo...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] White-winged Crossbills
Small groups and single White-winged Crossbills have been consistent in the Turnagain neighborhood for a week now. In and over our yard on Foraker daily.

Thede Tobish

Back to top
Date: 6/6/19 2:18 pm
From: <akjohnm...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Auklets and Murrelets
A few Parakeet Auklets have finally shown up in the Chiswell Islands but not yet in their normal location or numbers. Hope to see more of those in the near future! Rhinoceros Auklets are abundant now, and we even stumbled onto a pair of Cassin's Auklets in open water south of Matushka Island yesterday.

Ancient Murrelets in the Chiswells and Kittlitz's Murrelets in upper Aialik Bay are being seen consistently.

--

John M. Maniscalco, Ph.D., Capt. Alaska Seabird Charters
www.alaskaseabirds.com http://www.alaskaseabirds.com/

Back to top
Date: 6/5/19 10:27 am
From: Franklin Haas <fhaasbirds...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Adak Update
Interesting birds continue to show up.

Yesterday (6/4) we found a Brant. The Tundra Swan and Snow Goose were still
here.

The Hawfinch continues and we found a Bank Swallow.

Photos and details can be found at our Adak Blog at www.franklinhaas.com

Frank & Barb

--
Frank Haas

Wisdom begins with putting the right name to a thing.

Back to top
Date: 6/5/19 12:46 am
From: <c_griz...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Monday, June 3, 2019 Long-tailed Jaeger, Whimbrels, and a Snipe
Monday, June 3, 2019 Long-tailed Jaeger, Whimbrels, and a Snipe

Seward, Alaska

While watching an immense white cloud of gulls rise and fall like a snow storm at the far-off water’s edge, a dark bird shot overhead, flying swiftly due north towards the mountains. I whipped out my camera and started firing off images. Nothing but mystery tail-shots until finally, it turned sideways: a LONG-TAILED JAEGER!

What a surprise! I wonder if it is nesting in the alpine tundra feeding on small mammals and insects then commuting to the bay to steal fish? What a stunning bird with those long streamers! Watch out, Gertrude McFuzz!

Soon afterwards, I first heard, then saw two WHIMBRELS flying up and away towards the mountains to the east. They circled high, framed by snowy mountains in the background, then flew back to the wetlands. Five were seen on Sunday, way out at low tide. It seems late for them to still be here; I am not aware of any previous nesting Whimbrels in the Seward area.

A WILSON’S SNIPE rocketed out of the grasses, the first glimpse of one relatively close. All the others have been winnowing specks in the sky. This species is known to nest here.

Later in the afternoon, visiting birders Toby and Laura Burke estimated that there were at least 20,000 gulls out on the tide flats, a truly incredible number.

Never know what you’re going to find in this surprising place!

Happy Birding!
Carol Griswold
Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter

For photos, please visit my blog at https://sporadicbird.blogspot.com https://sporadicbird.blogspot.com/

Back to top
Date: 6/4/19 9:49 am
From: <c_griz...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Sunday, June 2, 2019 Exit Glacier Swainson’s and Gray-cheeked Thrushes

Sunday, June 2, 2019 Exit Glacier Swainson’s and Gray-cheeked Thrushes
Seward, Alaska

It’s been over a week; this bright morning was time to check for SWAINSON’S and GRAY-CHEEKED THRUSHES at Exit Glacier. As I entered the park, I began hearing the upwards spiral of the Swainson’s almost immediately upon crossing the Resurrection River Bridge. Yay!

Driving very slowly with the windows down, (very little traffic) I passed through many territories marked and defended by melodious singing: NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH, YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS, ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLERS, WILSON’S WARBLER, YELLOW WARBLER, and RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETS.

Fortunately, at 9 am, there weren’t many people on the trails yet so I could stop to look for hidden birds and record (video) bird songs without interruptions. What a beautiful morning, especially after so many rainy days, and what a lovely concert!

I enjoyed the sweet song of a ROBIN, interspersed with the haunting HERMIT THRUSH and blast of the VARIED THRUSH. Then I followed one faint Swainson’s Thrush to the start of the Harding Icefield Trail, just before the first small creek. Although I had little hope of actually seeing one of these elusive thrushes in the dense foliage, he sure sounded close. I scanned through the leafy cottonwood branches, and to my amazement, found him! He sang, then preened, rubbing his bill on the branch. His buffy eye ring stood out.

After a bit, he flew and I followed, refinding him high in another cottonwood, singing, listening, and responding. He sure put his whole heart and soul into the song! I hope a smitten female was listening to the concert, ready to deliver her calling card.

Far in the distance, I heard a flurry of notes: the GRAY-CHEEKED THRUSH! I wandered back down the trail to listen closer. At least two were listening and responding, but neither was close to the trail. I was satisfied to just be able to hear these far northern, shy thrushes. Ears attuned, I heard a few more as I drove slowly back to the bridge.
Back in town, six large white birds at the far end grabbed my attention at the Lagoon. The TRUMPETER SWAN cygnets! I haven’t seen them for quite a while! I quickly parked and walked back down the boardwalk to watch them feed. Now a year old, they still retain gray necks and darker gray heads though their bills and legs are black. Their bodies are mostly white with some light gray feathers. When they tipped up, their bellies were stained orange.

They sure looked healthy! They seem to be sticking together as a family, booted from the bosom of their once-doting parents. It will be interesting to see how they fare as they continue to mature and reach breeding age in four to five years.

Date: 6/3/19 12:18 pm
From: Chris Maack <cmaack...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Drama at Goose Lake
Went over this morning to check on the loons and found an appropriate two Pacific loons out on the water. A photographer in a plastic kayak was getting some good shots. A common loon appeared seemingly out of nowhere, circling the lake in the air. After about 8 circles, he landed and began periscoping. Soon the Pacifics approached and seemed interested and not aggressive. But the detente did not last long. They began team-tagging him, with one showing on the surface and the other underwater. Despite frantic periscoping by the common, he started to get jabbed from below. He would erupt in a flurry of spray and remove himself to a safer spot, but it didn’t stay safe for long. Twice the Pacific loons bugled their displeasure. Eventually Mr. Common took off and began circling and I was wishing him a good journey to more hospitable sites. Iinstead he landed again.

The photographer and I had been following the show for about half an hour by this time and could see that it might not be over for a good long while. I headed home and he headed to other lakes.

If you stop by Goose Lake later today, please report.

Chris Maack

Back to top
Date: 6/3/19 12:01 pm
From: <wkeys...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] New Westchester Viewing Platform
The Grand Opening of John Wenger's Westchester Viewing Platform!
John Wenger's new Viewing Platform is now open for business, and you're invited to the Grand Opening.
Sunday, June 9th, 10:00 am
Just East of the Boat Launch area on the north shore of Westchester Lagoon, Wildlife Biologist/Naturalist John Wenger had a vision which he has now shared with "the people of Alaska and all those who help save our natural world."
Not only was this project conceived and coordinated by John, but he stunningly donated THE ENTIRE COST OF THE PROJECT himself!! When was the last time you heard of anything like That?
This is an example of the Best Our Community Has To Offer! He had a cool idea, so he went out at made it happen!

Celebrate the new Nature Viewing Platform on Sunday, Jun 9th, at 10:00 am with a "Big Sit" to see what's swimming and flying by. At noon and during high tide, there will be a nature walk on the Coastal Trail so bring your field guides and binocs. Invite your nature-loving friends, and come Enjoy Nature.

Back to top
Date: 6/3/19 11:59 am
From: <wkeys...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Birding Smackdown This Saturday.
The Potter Marsh-a-thon Birding Smackdown
Saturday, June 8th
Potter Marsh: 7:30am -- Noon
Once again it's Anchorage’s greatest Birding Smackdown. How many bird species can your team find within Potter Marsh between 8:00 am and Noon? How much food can you bring to the Potluck Picnic immediately following the contest period at Noon? Whose team has the best name?
Fabulous Prizes will be awarded for most species seen. Teams may consist of 2-6 people. The team must remain within voice or sight contact and must fit into one vehicle. Species may only be counted if they are seen/heard by the entire team (Exceptions: 6-person teams may count birds seen by 5 members, and 5-person teams may count birds seen by 4 members. Birds heard may be counted even if hearing-impaired members do not hear them.)
Check-In is at 7:30 am in the parking lot at the north end of the marsh. Teams will be given a check list and a Potter Marsh map on which to log the location of each species seen. At the end of the contest, we’ll re-cap sightings to allow all participants to re-locate desired species. Entry fee is $20.00 per team. Exact Change is required. The Official Smackdown ends precisely at Noon. Teams will be penalized one species per minute late.
Birds may be counted Only if seen from designated roads and trails in the Potter Marsh area. No stopping or walking will be allowed on the West side of the New Seward Highway. Birds seen in non-designated areas may be counted if the observers are standing within a designated area.

SPECIAL SAFETY RULES: No stopping is allowed on the New Seward Highway except in designated turn-outs on the East side of the highway, and pulling into the designated turn-outs is only allowed for vehicles traveling NORTH. Parking in a manner that blocks other teams from using a pull-out will result in a penalty of 15 species.
Everybody is welcome, so assemble your team, whip up a dish to share, and meet us Saturday Morning, June 8th, at 7:30 for a hilarious birding field trip with Fabulous Prizes! Birding will be limited to the Potter Marsh area, and who knows what rarities will show up when there are birders combing every inch of an area that usually just gets the once-over.
Will Audubon Alaska get their clock cleaned by Anchorage Audubon? Can members of the Mat-Su Birders hang with the guys from the big city? If you don’t have a team, show up anyway and we’ll try to assemble teams on the spot. Binoculars and a serious attitude are required. It’s the anti-social event of the ornithological season.

If another team won’t tell you where they just saw a Pectoral Sandpiper, you are totally allowed to use “enhanced interrogation techniques.” This is not your Mother’s Birding Contest. We hope to see you June 8th at the Potter Marsh North Parking Lot.

Back to top
Date: 6/2/19 4:01 pm
From: <corneliuschris40...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] walking the road behind Potter Marsh
Walking the south side of Old Seward Highway at Potter Marsh produced a few great looks of singing, tail-pumping Northern waterthrushes, and a male blackpoll warbler that sang for twenty minutes from deep in a spruce before emerging. Screaming mew gulls chased a male northern harrier with something sizable in its clutches. An unfamiliar squeak led me to a singing rusty blackbird. A few dozen tree swallows preened on a wire. And a newborn moose calf snoozed near the watchful cow.

Back to top
Date: 6/2/19 10:14 am
From: Franklin Haas <fhaasbirds...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
After a slow start, the last few days have been pretty good.

Arctic Loon, Long-billed Dowitchers (rare in spring), Tundra Swan,
Short-eared Owls, Wandering Tattler, Whimbrel (Siberian Race), Wood
Sandpipers, Common Greenshank, Hawfinch, and Eye-browed Thrush!

Details and photos can be seen at our Adak Blog at www.franklinhaas.com

Frank & Barb Haas

Date: 6/1/19 11:49 pm
From: <kenaibirder...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Parasitic Jaegers South of Kenai 6/1
We encountered two PARASITIC JAEGERS, four miles south of Kenai, while walking near the east end of Buoy Avenue. Both were dark phase individuals. In years past we've encountered what we assumed were breeding Parasitic Jaegers flying to and from the Kenai Oil and Gas Field which overlays the sprawling Kalifornsky Bog, which essentially stretches from the Kenai River in the north all the way to the Kasilof River in the south. This much overlooked bog is 11 miles long at it greatest length, four miles wide at its greatest width, and 23 square miles in area - 15,000 acres. There is much birdlife in this accessible but closed area that is seldom seen, other than by a few Hilcorp employees.

Toby and Laura Burke

Kenai, AK

Back to top
Date: 5/31/19 1:28 am
From: <kenaibirder...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Re: Kenai Flats 5/30
Not Wednesday evening but Thursday evening. Sorry.

Toby and Laura Burke
Kenai, AK

Back to top
Date: 5/31/19 12:27 am
From: <kenaibirder...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Kenai Flats 5/30
BLUE-WINGED TEAL drake and hen continue at Cannery Road pond and adult SLATY-BACKED GULL miraculously but briefly appeared again at Port of Kenai among 40,000 other Larus gulls Wednesday evening.

Toby and Laura Burke

Kenai, AK.

Back to top
Date: 5/30/19 2:09 pm
From: <BradMeiklejohn...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Falcated Duck Continues 5/30
The Falcated Duck was observed in open water with clear views on 5/29 and 5/30 from the main pull-off lot near the south end of Potter Marsh in Anchorage.

Brad Meiklejohn
Eagle River, AK

Back to top
Date: 5/30/19 10:00 am
From: Chris Maack <cmaack...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Goose Lake Report
Three Pacific loons at Goose this morning, foraging or circling in a tight circle. Doesn’t look promising for the future generation.

Other species: mallards with ducklings, wigeons, magpies, mew gulls, yellow-rumped warbler, robin, ruby-crowned kinglet.

Chris Maack
Anchorage, AK

Back to top
Date: 5/29/19 11:23 pm
From: Aaron Lang <birdingak...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Gambell update: 5/29
Gambell Update:

5/28: the RED-FLANKED BLUETAIL made a reappearance after going missing for
a day. Three birding groups arrived on the 27th and every birder now on the
island (about 40) got to see it! The COMMON GREENSHANK, now present for
it's 3rd day, was seen by all groups as well, and Clarence Irigoo found a
mostly uncooperative COMMON SANDPIPER in Old Town. The first RED-NECKED
STINT of the spring and a male MCKAY'S BUNTING turned up at the south end.

5/29: COMMON SANDPIPER still present. See watching has been interesting
lately. Today, two SURF SCOTERS, two ARCTIC LOONS, at least 40 PACIFIC
LOONS and a handful of YELLOW-BILLED LOONS passed by the point. But the
highlight of the watch was a group of three geese--two TUNDRA BEAN GEESE
and a GREATER WHITE-FRONTED--that flew by the point at very close range!

Aaron Lang
Homer

Back to top
Date: 5/29/19 7:02 am
From: <kenaibirder...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Kenai Flats 5/26 + 28
On Sunday there was a drake and hen BLUE-WINGED TEAL at the Bowpicker and Seacatch (Cannery Road) Pond and over at the Port of Kenai the was briefly an adult SLATY- BACKED GULL out on the river. On Tuesday evening there was a late adult male EURASIAN WIGEON and a pair of TRUMPETER SWANS among the hoards of Northern Shovelers (76). Over at the Port of Kenai there were a pair of RUDDY TURNSTONES and a drake BLUE-WINGED TEAL in the freshwater ponds south of Boat Launch Road.

Toby and Laura Burke

Kenai, AK

Back to top
Date: 5/28/19 11:46 pm
From: <c_griz...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] May 27, 2019 Kittiwake dramas!
Seward, Alaska

Pacific Hooligan arrived in mid-May in enormous numbers, feeding mammoth humpback whales, seals, sea lions, Eagles, Ravens, Crows, Magpies, gulls, other birds, humans, and finally -microscopic bacteria. The 8-10” long anadromous fish swam up creeks to spawn where they have never been seen before. What a bounty!

For the next several weeks (and still continuing), clouds of gulls feasted on hooligan at the tideline, tide flats, and in creeks. Most seemed to be BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKES, rising up like a screeching snow flurry whenever a Bald Eagle cruised nearby or sliced through.

To my surprise, I watched many hundreds of Black-legged Kittiwakes divert from feeding to converge on the mud and sedges in the estuary wetlands. In a frenzy akin to a free shopping spree, they ripped out beak-fulls of soggy vegetation and mud, almost denuding the targeted areas.

Their nearest nesting habitat is 17 miles to the south at Cape Resurrection. It’s incredible that they would gather nest building supplies at the head of the bay and try to deliver them so far away to the rocky cliff headlands. I wonder if any boats noticed a stream of gulls with fat gobs of mud and leaves in their beaks flying south all the way down the bay?

It also seems late for them to be just starting to build their nests. Time will tell!

During one of these building supply forays, an adult Bald Eagle casually flew past and without warning, grabbed an inattentive adult Kittiwake mid-flight. The Eagle looked fierce (as usual) and screamed with murderous intent and triumph as it stroked powerfully home. Clutched in the powerful talons, black-tipped wings still outstretched, the doomed Kittiwake screamed in protest, an unwilling participant in the life and death drama. Tough to see, but part of Nature nonetheless.

Date: 5/28/19 10:03 pm
From: <c_griz...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Tuesday, May 28, 2019 Swan cygnets! Baby swallows!
Tuesday, May 28, 2019 Swan cygnets! Baby swallows!
Seward, Alaska

Sunrise 4:53 am, sunset 10:59 pm for a total daylight of 18 hours, 5 minutes. Tomorrow will be 3 minutes and 39 seconds longer. Temperatures ranged from around 40 to as high as 59º. Though rain has been in the forecast for a solid 10 days, the clouds occasionally parted to let the ever-higher sun shine in. It’s been a cold May.

Thanks to the rain, everything is as green as possible, in every possible hue, tone, tint, and shade, and growing while-you-watch. Magenta spruce buds recently popped off, revealing bright green, soft, new needles. Brown male spruce flowers erupted today, showering plumes of yellow pollen into the wind. Regrettably, legions of enthusiastic dandelions in full first bloom cheer from along the roads, in yards, and every open area; they win again.

Yesterday, I noticed both Trumpeter Swan parents sitting together at the nest. Very suspicious behavior! This afternoon, they paddled slowly through the horsetails near the nest. I looked closely and counted three tiny white cygnet puffs exploring their world, pecking at the water and horsetails, lovingly tended by both magnificent parents. Both parents stirred up the sediments with their large webbed feet, to bring more tidbits to the surface for the babies. Unlike baby Robins, baby Swans have to feed themselves, so sampling everything is critical to their survival.

I believe May 25 or 26 is the earliest date of hatching for Seward’s resident swans. Mom diligently sat and fasted through rain, the May snowstorm, cold, wind, and more rain while dad guarded (and ate and lounged). Meanwhile, last summer’s six cygnets have been spotted as far away as the Mile 14.5 Lily Pond and boardwalk, and at Bear Lake.

This morning, I watched a Violet-green Swallow erupt from one of my swallow boxes, carrying off a fecal sac. Wow! Shortly afterwards, the other parent swooped in and the eager recipients clamored to be fed. I had no idea this particular nest box was in use, or that the family was so far along.

Seems the Swallows just arrived! Spring sure doesn’t wait for us to notice.

Happy Birthday, little ones! Welcome to the world!

Date: 5/28/19 10:48 am
From: <pat...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Falcated Duck today
Good multiple fly-by views this morning, Tuesday, at 9:15 am from main south pull-off from New Seward Hwy. Falcated Duck in company of two drake American wigeons. Landed directly out from pull-off but behind cattails.
Pat Pourchot
Anchorage AK

Back to top
Date: 5/27/19 11:57 am
From: Franklin Haas <fhaasbirds...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
We arrived on Adak on Saturday, May 25 and will be here until June 8.

So far, nothing unexpected. A few Wood Sandpipers, Pacific Golden-Plovers,
a Tundra Swan.

Three Whimbrel (Siberian race), Wood Sandpipers, and a flock of Bar-tailed
Godwits were seen last week by Johnny and Shari Powell (who left on the day
we arrived).

You can see the details at our blog at franklinhaas.com

Date: 5/26/19 11:10 pm
From: Aaron Lang <birdingak...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Gambell Report
Yesterday's RED-FLANKED BLUETAIL was still in the Near Boneyard this
morning. After a few nice views it gave us the slip and disappeared until
late evening when Gavin relocated it in Old Town.

In the afternoon, we found a number of fine shorebirds at the south end of
the lake. The first was a LONG-TOED STINT right next to the road at the
culvert. A calling COMMON GREENSHANK flew over Gavin while he was at Oynik
Point, then dropped into the South Marsh in front of David Krueper, Kip
Miller, and me. A LESSER SANDPLOVER also made a flyby appearance over the
South Marsh.

A couple more Bluethroats, a Red-throated Pipit, and a single Yellow
Wagtail were around as well.

Three groups arrive here tomorrow.

Aaron Lang
Homer

Back to top
Date: 5/26/19 1:26 pm
From: Chuck <ciliff2...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] PALMER OSPREY
flying/ hunting near nest between old Matanuska and Glenn- Parks interchange above spring creek
Chuck

Sent from my iPhone
In advance, please excuse any typos and my brevity

Back to top
Date: 5/25/19 11:18 pm
From: Aaron Lang <birdingak...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] RED-FLANKED BLUETAIL, Gambell
Early this evening, Gavin Bieber and I were kicking through the near
boneyard in Gambell when Gavin spotted a female RED-FLANKED BLUETAIL. The
bird was quite skittish and didn't allow close approach so we enjoyed
distant views and I managed to get a few photos. This is only the second
spring record of Red-flanked Bluetail for Gambell. Photos at:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S56743864,

Aaron Lang
Homer

Back to top
Date: 5/25/19 5:28 pm
From: George Matz <geomatz41...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Kachemak Bay Shorebird Monitoring
Kachemak Bay Shorebird Monitoring Project

2019 Session #9

On Thursday, May 23, the Kachemak Bay Birders had its ninth and final
shorebird monitoring session for this year. This is our eleventh
consecutive year of monitoring following the same protocol each year.
Twenty-two volunteers made observations for two hours (7:30 pm – 9:30 pm)
at five sites in the Homer Spit area. Two volunteers made observations
separately by boat at the Islands and Islets across the bay and at upper
Seldovia Bay. Also, there were three volunteers at Anchor Point/River and
two at the Kasilof River. A total of 29 volunteers participated in this
session. A total of 53 individuals volunteered for one or more monitoring
sessions this year.

According to the NOAA station at the Homer Airport, at 6:53 pm winds were W
at 10 mph, skies were overcast, the temperature was 48°F, and the
barometric pressure was 30.10 inches. At 9:53 pm, winds were W at 8 mph, a
light rain was falling, the temperature was 47°F, and the barometric
pressure increased to 30.15 inches.

Most of the shorebirds seen breed in this area, but there were a few
migratory stragglers. Once again, our protocol schedule has essentially
bracketed the spring shorebird migration. There were 16 species of
shorebirds seen this session including:

The only plover seen was the *Semipalmated Plover *which tend to nest just
above the high tide line (supratidal). They were at Mud Bay (6), mid-Spit
(31), and Outer Spit (2). Although the mid-Spit area has obvious signs in
the two, small parking lots, asking that dogs be on leash during spring
migration, some dog owners continue to think they are an exception and
allow their dogs to run right in the area where Semipalmated Plovers nest.
Since loose dogs can be some distance from the owner, disturbance
(including eating the eggs) can quickly happen without the owner’s
knowledge. Beluga Slough is another important area that has signs, but
still some loose dogs. In fact, this year dogs were seen chasing cranes
across the mud flats. But to be fair, most dogs are on a leash.

*Black Oystercatchers *(4) continue to nest at Cohen Island.

*Whimbrel *were still at the Anchor (5).

*Greater Yellowlegs, *also local breeders, were at Beluga Slough (2),
Anchor Point (5), and the Kasilof (3). *Lesser Yellowlegs* (3) were at the
Kasilof.

Late migrants include *Ruddy Turnstone* (2) seen at mid-Spit.

*Western Sandpiper* which were seen at Mud Bay (3), mid-Spit (18), the
Anchor (2) and Kasilof (1) Rivers. A *Least Sandpiper* (1) was at mid-Spit
(1). *Semipalmated Sandpipers* were at the Anchor (1) and Kasilof
(1). *Dunlin
*were at the Anchor (4). Peeps, which are all the sandpipers above, were
at Outer Spit (2). A *Pectoral Sandpiper* was seen at the Kasilof (1).

A *Long-billed Dowitcher* (1) was seen at mid-Spit. *Short-billed
Dowitcher* were at Beluga Slough (2) and the Kasilof (1). Dowitcher sp.
were noted at the Anchor (8).

Other shorebirds were *Red-necked Phalarope* at Beluga Slough (1) and about
1,000 near Gull Island. Also, a *Spotted Sandpiper* (1) at the Anchor
and *Wilson’s
Snipe *(1) at the Kasilof.

Other birds seen at the sites in the Homer Spit area were;

Waterfowl: Brant, White-fronted Goose, Cackling Goose, Northern Shoveler,
American Wigeon, Green-winged Teal, Mallard, Northern Pintail, Gadwall,
White-winged Scoter, Surf Scoter, Greater Scaup, Bufflehead, and Common
Merganser.

Loons and Grebes: Common Loon.

Gulls: Mew Gull, Bonaparte’s Gull, Black-legged Kittiwake, Glacous-winged
Gull, and Herring Gull.

Alcids: Pigeon Guillemot.

Raptors: Bald Eagle.

Songbirds: Raven, NW Crow, American Robin, Savanna Sparrow, Song Sparrow,
Wilson’s Warbler, Golden-crowned Sparrow, and Orange-crowned Warbler.

Other birds: Sandhill Crane, Pelagic Cormorant, Rock Pigeon, Belted
Kingfisher, Bank Swallow, Tree Swallow, and Violet-green Swallow.

Other *Seldovia Bay *birds were;

Mallard (2), Green-winged Teal (36), Greater Scaup (14), Barrow's Goldeneye
(22), Common Merganser (3), Pigeon Guillemot (10), Bald Eagle (4),
Northwestern Crow (5), Common Raven ( 2), Violet-green Swallow (3), Pacific
Wren (2), Ruby-crowned Kinglet (7), Varied Thrush (7),
Hermit Thrush (4), Savannah Sparrow (4), Townsend's Warbler (1).

Other birds at the *Anchor River* were:

Cackling Goose 3, American Wigeon 12, Green-winged Teal 2, Harlequin
Duck 16, Common Merganser 2, Red-breasted Merganser 2, Mew Gull 60,
loon sp. 2, Bald Eagle 10, Belted Kingfisher 3, Northwestern Crow 10,
Violet-green Swallow 30, American Pipit 1, Fox Sparrow 6, Golden-crowned
Sparrow 1, Savannah Sparrow 3, and Song Sparrow 1

Other *Kasilof birds* were;

Greater White-fronted Goose (5), Brant (2), Cackling Goose (13), Canada
Goose (12), Northern Pintail (6), Green-winged Teal (5), Greater Scaup (7),
White-winged Scoter (4), Sandhill Crane (30), Mew Gull (40), Herring Gull
(2,400), Glaucous-winged Gull (20), Bald Eagle (5),
Canada Jay (1), Black-billed Magpie (1), Common Raven (1), Tree Swallow
(3), Boreal Chickadee (1), Ruby-crowned Kinglet (2), American Robin (2),
Common Redpoll (1),
Dark-eyed Junco (2), Savannah Sparrow (4), Lincoln's Sparrow (2),
Orange-crowned Warbler (2), and Yellow-rumped Warbler (2).

All these observations have been entered in eBird.

This is the final session report for this year. There will be extensive
spreadsheets on these observations and other reports. We had some good
observations, and, most of all, had fun.

George Matz

Back to top
Date: 5/23/19 5:38 pm
From: <tarbox...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Kenai Refuge Walk this Saturday - Keen Eye Bird Club
SATURDAY, MAY 25, 2019

Kenai Wildlife Refuge Walk – 8:00 – 11:00 AM – A walk in the woods near the Kenai Wildlife Refuge Headquarters near Soldotna, Alaska. This easy to moderate 2 mile walk is through a boreal forest and marsh habitats. Meet at the New Kenai Refuge Visitor Center near Soldotna. American Three-toed Woodpecker, Brown Creeper, and Golden-crowned Kinglet are possible. The first part of the walk will be on the Keen-Eye Trail followed by other trails as time permits. Led by George and Bev Kirsch.

Back to top
Date: 5/22/19 6:40 pm
From: Paul Lehman <lehman.paul...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Gambell news, early & mid- May
News from Gambell, St. Lawrence Island, through 22 May includes: from
local resident Clarence Irrigoo, an exceptionally early Pacific
Golden-Plover photographed on 30 April and an adult Black-headed Gull
beginning 16 May. Starting 20 May, Brad Benter began a visit to the
village area and has found a Brambling 20-21 May, has upped the count of
Black-headed Gulls to two birds, seen a McKay's Bunting and Dovekie on
the 21st, small numbers of Spectacled Eiders and Yellow-billed Loons, a
high total of 110 redpolls (ca. 90 Hoary, 20 Common), rare-but-annual
mainland stray Hermit Thrush and Savannah Sparrow, and slightly early
arriving Snow Goose on 20 May and Peregrine Falcon, Pectoral Sandpiper,
and Eastern Yellow Wagtail on 22 May. This is still a few days "early"
at Gambell, and bird tour groups will start arriving at the end of this
week. Another adult Black-headed Gull was photographed in Nome about a
week ago (fide Kate Persons).

--Paul Lehman, San Diego

Back to top
Date: 5/21/19 1:41 pm
From: 'Meehan, Joe (DFG)' <joe.meehan...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Potter Marsh Bird Walks - June and July 2019
NAME OF EVENT: Potter Marsh Bird Walks.
WHEN: June and July 2019; Saturdays 8-10am, and Mondays 7-9pm.
WHERE: Potter Marsh boardwalk, 2880 East 154th Ave., located at Mile 117 along the Seward Highway approximately mile south of the Rabbit Creek Road exit and across from the Rabbit Creek Rifle Range.
DETAILS: Join us for a guided leisurely walk on the Potter Marsh boardwalk and nearby trails to identify and learn about the area's wildlife. This family-friendly event is free and is for the beginning birder as well as those that know their way around a bird's wing. Binoculars are available for loan (no charge) and spotting scopes and guide books will also be available. Walks will take place rain-or-shine, so dress accordingly. Meet your guide at the boardwalk entrance kiosk at Potter Marsh. Kids encouraged, wheelchair accessible. Sponsored by Audubon Alaska and the Alaska Department of Fish & Game.
COST: Free
CONTACT: (907) 267-2281; <joe.meehan...><mailto:<joe.meehan...> or (907) 276-7034 <msgoldman...><mailto:<msgoldman...>

Joe Meehan, Statewide Program Coordinator
Lands and Refuges Program
Alaska Department of Fish and Game
Division of Wildlife Conservation
333 Raspberry Road
Anchorage, Alaska 99518

desk: (907) 267-2281
cell: (907) 748-3527
fax (907) 267-2859
<joe.meehan...><mailto:<joe.meehan...>

Explore your state wildlife refuge areas. Get started at www.refuges.adfg.alaska.gov<http://www.refuges.adfg.alaska.gov>

Back to top
Date: 5/20/19 9:35 pm
From: <wkeys...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Audubon Picnic THIS THURSDAY
Westchester Lagoon Potluck and Pro-Am Bird Walk
Thursday, May 23, 6:00 pm
Westchester Lagoon Boat Launch Parking Lot
Because Spring Birding is at it’s peak, Anchorage Audubon has decided to CANCEL our regular third-Thursday monthly program at the BP Energy Center and have a party instead. It’s a potluck, a chance to tell birding lies, and a chance to casually stroll around the Westchester Lagoon area with other birders looking for new arrivals.
We will also feature our Spring Pro-Am Birding Tournament. Experienced birders will pair up with inexperienced birders for a 30 minute contest to find the most species on Westchester Lagoon. The time goes by like lightning, and it’s always a treat to see what can be found in a very short period of time.

Bring a dish to share, tales to tell, binoculars, and gear appropriate for the day’s weather. We’ll bring plates, utensils, and Audubon Society approved napkins for sloppy eaters. PLUS: The Audubon Board has decided to splurge and bring PIZZA, so bring a salad, side dish, or dessert, and we hope to see everyone there!

Back to top
Date: 5/20/19 9:21 pm
From: <wkeys...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Early Morning Bird Walk This Thursday
More Species are showing up every day!
The THIRD Early Morning Bird Walk
is THIS THURSDAY
at the BLM Campbell Creek Science Center Parking Lot
6:30 am — 8:30 am

Anchorage Audubon and the BLM will co-host Early Morning Birdwalks on Thursdays, May 23, & 30. This is an exercise in hearing migratory birds as they arrive throughout the month of May. They are setting up territories for the mating season they’re singing their little hearts out, and we’ll be there to eavesdrop.

Bring binoculars, clothes suitable for nippy mornings, and footwear suitable for a 1 to 2 mile easy stroll. Hot warm-up beverages are served after the walk in the Campbell Creek Science Center. We’d love to have you join us.

Back to top
Date: 5/20/19 12:47 pm
From: <c_griz...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Sunday, May 12, 2019 Homer Yellow-billed Loon (late post)
Sunday, May 12, 2019 Yellow-billed Loon
Homer, Alaska

After searching for the elusive YELLOW-BILLED LOON for several days during the Kachemak Bay Shorebird Festival, I finally found it paddling along the west side of the Homer Boat Harbor.

Then, aloof and alone, it floated serenely in a quiet location between the parking area and the dock. But not for long! An intense and prolonged preening session ensued to remove splitting feather sheaths and get its emerging plumage in flying condition.

What a joy to watch this magnificent red-eyed, star-spangled, yellow-billed loon preen, stretch, shake, roll, snorkel, paddle, dive, and repeat. Such a supreme, wise and ancient presence!

Happy Birding!
Carol Griswold
Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter on the road

Date: 5/20/19 11:02 am
From: Thede Tobish <tgtljo...> [AKBirding] <AKBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [AK Birding] Coastal Trail passerines
The Coastal Trail between Pt Woronzof and Kincaid had strong numbers of passerine migrants the past three days with pockets of warblers and good numbers of mostly Fox sparrows. A singing Blackpoll on May 19 was early-ish at the bottom of Kincaid hill.

Thede Tobish

Join us on Facebook!