WSBN
Received From Subject
2/19/19 7:13 pm ARTHUR DAHL <adahl0404...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Rusty Blackbirds seen (Garfield County)
2/16/19 10:05 am <spaddrvr...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Snow and Ross's Goose in Delta [3 Attachments]
2/15/19 11:31 am '<victor...>' <victor...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Rusty Blackbirds - Carbondale [7 Attachments]
2/14/19 6:02 am <rclarke32001...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Ferruginous Hawk with a belly band [2 Attachments]
2/11/19 8:38 am Mike Henwood <mhawkhen...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Tumacanbac Raptor Trip - Mesa County - 2-10-19
2/10/19 4:41 pm Jim LeFevre <jimlef...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] North Fork Valley Raptor Trip Day 2
2/9/19 3:56 pm Jim LeFevre <jimlef...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] North Fork Valley Raptor Trip, Day 1
2/8/19 12:55 pm Dennis Garrison <dennisgarrison...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] For any self-described old birds out there...
2/3/19 11:35 am Brandon <bkpercival...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] West Slope e-bird reviewer
2/3/19 7:26 am nic korte <nkorte1...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Grand Valley Audubon-Mesa County- Tumacanbac trip-Feb 2
2/2/19 5:33 pm 'Shep & Mary Harris' <smnharris...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> Re: FW: [wsbn] Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - Carbondale [4 Attachments]
2/2/19 2:25 pm '<victor...>' <victor...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - Carbondale [1 Attachment]
2/1/19 2:18 pm Thomas Litteral <birdingtom...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Common goldeneyes on the Yampa River
2/1/19 5:33 am Dennis Garrison <dennisgarrison...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] bird news from other places
1/30/19 7:07 am Mike Henwood <mhawkhen...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Trumpeter Swan - DeBeque Canyon - Mesa County
1/24/19 6:49 pm Dennis Garrison <dennisgarrison...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] SE AZ road trip

Back to top
Date: 2/19/19 7:13 pm
From: ARTHUR DAHL <adahl0404...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Rusty Blackbirds seen (Garfield County)
Today at 8:30am I saw the two Rusty Blackbirds at the Carbondale Nature
Park. The birds were about 400 feet north of the parking lot along the
small spring creek. Other birds of note were Marsh Wren, Evening Grosbeak
and Lincoln's Sparrow.
Art Dahl
Rifle, CO

Back to top
Date: 2/16/19 10:05 am
From: <spaddrvr...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Snow and Ross's Goose in Delta [3 Attachments]
While passing through Delta yesterday, my wife and I decided to pay our first visit to Confluence Park.. must say, I was impressed.

Along with the hundreds (thousands?) of Canada geese, there was a group of perhaps 40-50 geese. I assumed (wrongly) that they were all snow geese, but when examining my photos, I found at least one Ross's Goose. Additionally there were some dark morph "blue geese" in the bunch. I am hoping someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I can see the distinct difference in the Ross's goose bill from the snow goose bill.

Byron Hukee

Back to top
Date: 2/15/19 11:31 am
From: '<victor...>' <victor...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Rusty Blackbirds - Carbondale [7 Attachments]
I was able to refind the pair of Rusty Blackbirds at the Carbondale Nature Area early this morning.

Vic Zerbi

Back to top
Date: 2/14/19 6:02 am
From: <rclarke32001...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Ferruginous Hawk with a belly band [2 Attachments]
This Ferruginous Hawk has been seen in the Loma area (on R Rd west of 8 Rd over the past month. Note the presence of the belly band which is so common on Red-tailed Hawks. Apparently this is not unusual based on the feedback I received from Colorado Field Ornithologists and Raptor ID groups.

Bob Clarke

Back to top
Date: 2/11/19 8:38 am
From: Mike Henwood <mhawkhen...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Tumacanbac Raptor Trip - Mesa County - 2-10-19
Here are our totals for the Tumacanbac Raptor Field Trip on Sunday, 2-10-19.
Sunny day with temps from 24-48 degrees.

Bald Eagle - 8 One pair sitting side by side near I-70 and Country jam.
Golden Eagle - 14
Sharp-shinned Hawk - 1
Cooper's Hawk - 2
Northern Harrier - 1
Red-tailed Hawk - 29 Several paired up sitting in same tree.
Harlan's Hawk - 1 This bird was on the dark side - often Harlan's show
a small amount of white mottling on the breast. Breeds in Alaska.
Ferruginous Hawk - 1 Seen late in the afternoon on R Road west of 8
Road(Baxter Pass Road).
American Kestrel - 13
Merlin - 1 Near 22 & M Roads
Prairie Falcon - 2
Great Horned Owl - 2 Pair snuggled next to each other west of 10 and R
Roads

In addition birds seen at Highline Lake included
Canada Goose - 800 might be a low estimate
Snow Geese - 2
Trumpeter Swan - 2 Even though we didn't have definitive looks at the
head and bill, the gray-brown back indicates a first year Trumpeter Swan.
This time of year a
young Tundra Swan will be
whiter than a young Trumpeter.

Mike Henwood
Grand Junction
Mesa County

Back to top
Date: 2/10/19 4:41 pm
From: Jim LeFevre <jimlef...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] North Fork Valley Raptor Trip Day 2
Hello,

Day 2 of our annual trip proved to be very different weather wise and bird wise. We saw fewer birds overall but added a couple species. Thanks to everyone who came out!
Totals were: 11 bald eagles, 13 golden eagles, 26 red-tailed hawks, 4 rough-legged hawks, 4 kestrels, 1 prairie falcon, 1 northern harrier, and 1 northern shrike.

As some of you know I monitor the nest sites of raptors in the valley, keeping track of who is using which nest and when incubation starts for each site. The majority of the nests belong to red-tails. Well, at three sites it appears the resident red-tail pair is going to have find new accommodations because their nests have been taken over by a different species. In the past this has meant great-horns occupying the nests. But this year is just .....strange to me. One long-established nest has been taken over by a pair of bald eagles (who, incidentally, began incubating today), another nest has been found with a pair of golden eagles present, on the nest and perched in the tree. A third nest I thought was going to taken over by bald’s, but today we observed a one year old golden standing in the nest. Why it would be on the nest is a little baffling to me.

I’m guessing eagles taking over the nests of other raptors is nothing new to the birding world but this is my first experience with it. And I am curious as to where the resident red-tails build their new nests!

Enjoying the mystery of nature!
Jim Le Fevre,
Paonia, Delta County

Back to top
Date: 2/9/19 3:56 pm
From: Jim LeFevre <jimlef...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] North Fork Valley Raptor Trip, Day 1
Hi All,

Even though it was cloudy a little cold we still had a really nice day looking for raptors around the valley. Thanks to all those who came along and to the drivers who led us safely around!!

We found 32 bald eagles, 24 golden eagles, 17 red-tailed hawks including one suspected Harlan’s, 2 rough-legged hawks, 2 prairie falcons, and only 3 kestrels.

Jim Le Fevre,
Paonia, Delta County

Back to top
Date: 2/8/19 12:55 pm
From: Dennis Garrison <dennisgarrison...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] For any self-described old birds out there...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WlO811TAaw
[https://www.bing.com/th?id=OVF.DFx9f8VRk8SMBTGSXHOCCg&pid=Api]<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WlO811TAaw>

Wisdom, World's Oldest Known Wild Bird, Just Hatched A New Chick At 68<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WlO811TAaw>
Wisdom, the world's oldest known wild bird, has done it again!
www.youtube.com

Back to top
Date: 2/3/19 11:35 am
From: Brandon <bkpercival...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] West Slope e-bird reviewer
Hi all,

Who reviews e-bird reports from Western Colorado? For Mesa County is
mainly the person I'm needed to reach.

Thanks,

--
Brandon Percival
Colorado CBC Regional Editor

Back to top
Date: 2/3/19 7:26 am
From: nic korte <nkorte1...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Grand Valley Audubon-Mesa County- Tumacanbac trip-Feb 2

We had a great raptor viewing trip on Feb 2 with 12 people.

Our totals were:
Bald eagle - 10
Golden Eagle - 4
Cooper’s hawk - 3
Northern Harrier - 3
Red-tailed hawk - 27
Harlan's Hawk - 1
Rough-legged Hawk - 2
Ferruginous Hawk - 1 (18 Road and the desert)
Merlin (Prairie type)1 (one more seen by one car)
American Kestrel - 14
Prairie falcon - 1 (in flight)
Loggerhead shrike – 1
Great Horned Owl - 2

Diversity is good this year. I’m not sure I’ve had a trip that found Rough-legged, Ferruginous, Prairie Falcon, Merlin and Shrike on the same trip. Seems we always miss one. Of course, this time we missed a Sharp-shinned and my “stake-out” Western Screech-owl failed to appear in the hole after being present on Thursday and Friday.

Nic Korte

Back to top
Date: 2/2/19 5:33 pm
From: 'Shep & Mary Harris' <smnharris...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: Re: FW: [wsbn] Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - Carbondale [4 Attachments]
HI WSBN FOLK,
It really does take a village!
Randy Brimm found a yellow-rumped in a tree on Main St in Carbondale. He
told me about it and when we went to check it out, we found the sapsucker.
We assumed it should be a red-naped until Tom McConnell asked if we checked
for yellow-bellied, which of course it was.
Today I took 13 year old Madalyn Connor to see them and she took the
following great diagnostic photos showing no white on the chin and also the
white band around back of head. Also a great rough-legged hawk on
Catherine's
Store back road.

Back to top
Date: 2/2/19 2:25 pm
From: '<victor...>' <victor...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - Carbondale [1 Attachment]
Mary Harris initially found this great bird. It was seen in Centennial Park at 8th and Main in Carbondale. I followed up when Tom McConnell called me. It was with a Yellow-rumped Warbler. Amazing this time of year. Thank you, Mary.

Vic Zerbi

Centennial

Back to top
Date: 2/1/19 2:18 pm
From: Thomas Litteral <birdingtom...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Common goldeneyes on the Yampa River
Birrrrrrders,
In a rare open water patch on the Yampa River (33A/ US40 bridge), an active flock of 38 common goldeneyes were working a shallow riffle. Nice to see this many but didn't find a Barrow's in the bunch. Tom in the 'Boat

Back to top
Date: 2/1/19 5:33 am
From: Dennis Garrison <dennisgarrison...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] bird news from other places
I know it's not here but this one is a little odd...

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2019/01/half-male-half-female-cardinal-pennsylvania/

Back to top
Date: 1/30/19 7:07 am
From: Mike Henwood <mhawkhen...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Trumpeter Swan - DeBeque Canyon - Mesa County
Hi All,

Late yesterday afternoon Eileen Cunningham, Kathleen McGinley and I drove
from DeBeque to Palisade along I-70. We found the Trumpeter Swan between
MM53 and MM 52.

Mike Henwood
Grand Junction
Mesa County

Back to top
Date: 1/24/19 6:49 pm
From: Dennis Garrison <dennisgarrison...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] SE AZ road trip
I drove all this way to discover sand hill cranes. Oh well. No green kingfisher but I found common ground doves and Inca doves today. And a roadrunner and a snipe in the same place. Not a lot of birds around and I have blisters from the hiking. Will post a few of the better pics when I get back. At least its warm. 22 this morning :/

Dennis Garrison from a cheap motel in AZ.