WSBN
Received From Subject
7/14/18 7:31 pm victor <victor...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] More Calliopes - Glenwood
7/14/18 6:02 pm JOHN LIZ BOKRAM <lizjohnb...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> Re: [wsbn] Calliopes - Aspen
7/14/18 5:44 pm victor <victor...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Calliopes - Glenwood
7/14/18 4:01 pm Dennis Garrison <dennisgarrison...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Purple Martin trip a success
7/13/18 5:30 pm Dennis Garrison <dennisgarrison...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Common loon still at overland reservoir
7/12/18 8:00 pm Dennis Garrison <dennisgarrison...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Purple Martin trip full
7/12/18 2:12 pm Scott Wilson <cutthroat518...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Question, not a sighting
7/11/18 6:15 pm Dennis Garrison <dennisgarrison...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Last call, purple martin field trip this Saturday
7/11/18 7:15 am 'Louise Glaser' <happyheil...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] FOS Rufous Humming Bird
7/10/18 12:33 pm Thomas Litteral <birdingtom...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Warbler ID
7/10/18 6:52 am Thomas Litteral <birdingtom...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Need warbler ID assistance [1 Attachment]
7/9/18 7:49 pm Dennis Garrison <dennisgarrison...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Purple martins using nest box
7/8/18 2:16 pm Dennis Garrison <dennisgarrison...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] band-tailed pigeon between Stoner and Rico
7/8/18 12:55 pm Katey Buster <kateynaturelady...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Save the Bobolink projects
7/6/18 5:24 pm JoAnn Riggle <joannpotterriggle...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] rufous
7/6/18 5:14 pm JoAnn Riggle <joannpotterriggle...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] New birds [2 Attachments]
7/2/18 4:01 pm 'Shep & Mary Harris' <smnharris...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> Re: [wsbn] Rufous Hummingbird
7/1/18 8:08 am Scott Wilson <cutthroat518...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> Re: [wsbn] Rufous Hummingbird
7/1/18 7:45 am Scott Wilson <cutthroat518...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Rufous Hummingbird
6/29/18 1:20 am B Fenton <photographer.birder...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> Re: [wsbn] Meaning of BBS stop
6/28/18 4:29 pm B Fenton <photographer.birder...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Meaning of BBS stop
6/28/18 2:15 pm victor <victor...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] South Fork White River-Budges area
6/27/18 1:50 pm victor <victor...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Dickcissel - M 3/4 Road
6/24/18 5:06 pm victor <victor...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Boreal Owl - White Owl Lake
6/24/18 3:19 pm nic korte <nkorte1...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Dickcissel south of Plateau City/Mesa County
6/24/18 12:00 pm Carol Ortenzio <protenz78...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Chats at Horsethief [3 Attachments]
6/21/18 4:18 pm <rclarke32001...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Caspian Tern

Back to top
Date: 7/14/18 7:31 pm
From: victor <victor...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] More Calliopes - Glenwood
As of 8 PM tonight - 4 Male Calliopes at my feeders in Glenwood Springs.

Vic Zerbi

Back to top
Date: 7/14/18 6:02 pm
From: JOHN LIZ BOKRAM <lizjohnb...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [wsbn] Calliopes - Aspen
Calliopes were sited in Aspen beginning Wednesday, July 11th. Rufous first sited on July 3rd.

Folks feeding hummingbirds in Aspen and Basalt are reporting large numbers of birds at their feeders, perhaps due to fire still burning in our valley
Liz Bokram
Aspen/Pitkin County

On Jul 14, 2018 6:44 PM, "victor <victor...> [wsbn]" <wsbn-noreply...> wrote:

The last three days, I have had a hummingbird invasion. I have been filing my three feeders three to four times per day. This evening after a third filing I had two male Calliope Hummingbirds coming in and fighting off at least 8 Rufous’s for the right to feed. Also many Black-chinned and Broad-tailed. Tough to get an accurate count.

Vic Zerbi

Back to top
Date: 7/14/18 5:44 pm
From: victor <victor...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Calliopes - Glenwood

Date: 7/14/18 4:01 pm
From: Dennis Garrison <dennisgarrison...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Purple Martin trip a success
We found lots of birds that were cooperative. Four new nest trees. And it only sprinkled a little bit.

Back to top
Date: 7/13/18 5:30 pm
From: Dennis Garrison <dennisgarrison...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Common loon still at overland reservoir
Delta county 25 miles north of Paonia. The lake is drawn down fully so not much water in which to hide. Calling sounded pretty lonely today. It was near the dam when I saw it today so was close enough for a photo or two.

Back to top
Date: 7/12/18 8:00 pm
From: Dennis Garrison <dennisgarrison...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Purple Martin trip full
Presuming no changes to the roster I havent heard of we have 16 for the puma trip Saturday. That is 4 vehicles. We usually lose someone at the last minute, tho. I wont turn others away but anyone else and we will probably have to add a vehicle. I would prefer we not have more vehicles than necessary for a variety of reasons so I will stress carpooling Saturday.
Weather looks good and I have the sites scouted. Only downside was the Lewis woodpecker wasnt there the other day.

Back to top
Date: 7/12/18 2:12 pm
From: Scott Wilson <cutthroat518...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Question, not a sighting
What is the status of Goshawks in Grand Junction in July?

Back to top
Date: 7/11/18 6:15 pm
From: Dennis Garrison <dennisgarrison...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Last call, purple martin field trip this Saturday
Saturday, July 14, 8:30 a.m. The third annual Paonia Ranger District purple martin field trip will be held Saturday July 14, 2018. Participants will meet at the Paonia River Park at 8:30 a.m. and carpool up Stevens Gulch road to various sites, then out Forest Road 265 and back to Paonia on Hwy 133 (slightly less than 100 miles with various side trips). To minimize disturbance to birds, the trip is limited to 16, who must preregister with trip leader Dennis Garrison at his email<mailto:<dennisgarrison...> or at (970) 985-2244. If there is substantial additional interest, a second date will be arranged. Roads are gravel and in good shape, so most cars are fine for this trip.

The trip will visit known past and present purple martin nesting sites from Windy Point to Mule Park to the West Muddy. We will be discussing aspen ecology, future Forest Service projects in the area, martin life history, nest boxes, and looking for any and all birds we can find along the way. Bring binoculars and a bird book, a lunch, maybe a folding chair, a jacket, and some good shoes. There will not be a lot of hiking but we will wander off into the woods in a few places. Expect mosquitoes. We are typically done by mid-afternoon, depending on how much we talk.

Also found four new nests in three trees on Black Mesa today, to supplement the two (down to one) found last month. And have found another dozen or so elsewhere already this summer, some of which will be visited on the field trip. Hope to see you there.

Dennis Garrison

Paonia, Delta County

Back to top
Date: 7/11/18 7:15 am
From: 'Louise Glaser' <happyheil...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] FOS Rufous Humming Bird
Our first rufous today. He may have been here sooner but we were not.
Yesterday was the first day back to the house after the fire.

Louise Glaser

Basalt

Eagle

Back to top
Date: 7/10/18 12:33 pm
From: Thomas Litteral <birdingtom...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Warbler ID
Thanks for the posts on my warbler ID question. I agree with the suggestion it was an immature yellow warbler. They can be highly variable and looks like I got stumped! It is a pleasure to have the WSBN available to help out when needed.
BTW, Dinosaur NM has some great birding even in the summer such as the cottonwood forest at the Green River Campground, Deerlodge Park campground (in CO/Moffat Co.), Brown's Park NWR, or on the road to the Harper's Corner lookout. Tom in the 'Boat

Back to top
Date: 7/10/18 6:52 am
From: Thomas Litteral <birdingtom...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Need warbler ID assistance [1 Attachment]
West Slope Birders,
On a recent trip to Dinosaur NM (Utah side) we took a hike into Hog Canyon near the Josie's Cabin site. We found a solo warbler working the box elders.. It had a general yellow-green back with slight wing bars, a clearly yellow throat, yellow incomplete eye rings, light colored bill, and light colored legs. I am trying to determine how it is not a pine warbler out of area. It made no sound so I couldn't use any audio clues. Any thoughts?  Tom in the 'Boat

Back to top
Date: 7/9/18 7:49 pm
From: Dennis Garrison <dennisgarrison...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Purple martins using nest box
Found a martin today in one of my nest boxes! Making that a stop on saturdays Field trip. Still slots open if anyone else wants to come.

Back to top
Date: 7/8/18 2:16 pm
From: Dennis Garrison <dennisgarrison...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] band-tailed pigeon between Stoner and Rico
The last two days there has been a single band-tailed pigeon along the Dolores just below the Bear Creek trailhead bridge (which is closed due to the fire). This is near MM 34 on CO 145 between Rico and Stoner. Posed for me today when I didn't have my camera, of course.

Back to top
Date: 7/8/18 12:55 pm
From: Katey Buster <kateynaturelady...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Save the Bobolink projects
I have read with interest lately the reports of birders seeing a few Bobolinks and Dickcissels in unmowed fields on the Grand Mesa but have they seen these birds after the fields are mowed?    I am spending the summer in KY and have started a Save the Bobolink project here at a small, local university...with the support of a local Audubon chapter.  I wanted birders to be aware that Bobolinks are vanishing because most of these birds unfortunately pick farmer's hay fields to nest and raise their young.   Farmers now mow more often than ever and these eggs/young birds are destroyed by the haying process.  The Bobolink Project was started by Mass Audubon and is proven successful.  These projects use donated funds (raised by local Audubon groups/etc) to provide financial assistance to participating farmers who modify their mowing schedules so that grassland birds (ie Bobolinks/Dickcissels, etc) can successfully raise their young.
Maybe the farmer up on the Mesa can be approached and would be receptive to getting 'paid'  (next year)  to delay his mowing so that these eggs and hatchlings can be saved...just thought I would share this idea.   Please contact me or Google it for more information.
Katey BusterGrand Junction, COMesa CO

Back to top
Date: 7/6/18 5:24 pm
From: JoAnn Riggle <joannpotterriggle...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] rufous
While sitting at my desk I noticed a Rufous Hummingbird coming into one of the window feeders.  We are just south of Eagle on Brush Creek Road.
JoAnn Potter Riggle
"In order to see birds it is necessary to become a part of the silence."     .....Robert Lynd

Back to top
Date: 7/6/18 5:14 pm
From: JoAnn Riggle <joannpotterriggle...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] New birds [2 Attachments]
I found a Snowy Egret and a White-faced Ibis at Gypsum Ponds this afternoon..  They are together in the farthest eastern pond.  I have put more pictures up on eBird for Eagle County.  The last time I saw a Snowy Egret in Eagle County was in April of 1992 at Nottingham Lake in Avon.

Date: 7/2/18 4:01 pm
From: 'Shep & Mary Harris' <smnharris...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [wsbn] Rufous Hummingbird
Very cool!
And to think that I saw my FOS this year on May 2nd in Cordova, Alaska -
looking rather forlorn and cold in the snow!
take care,
Mary Harris
Roaring Fork Audubon

On 1 July 2018 at 07:08, Scott Wilson <cutthroat518...> [wsbn] <
<wsbn-noreply...> wrote:

> Sorry, omitted location. Adult male in Grand Junction
>
> On Sunday, July 1, 2018, 8:45:27 AM MDT, Scott Wilson
> <cutthroat518...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> wrote:
>

> Had my first today.

Back to top
Date: 7/1/18 8:08 am
From: Scott Wilson <cutthroat518...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Sorry, omitted location.  Adult male in Grand Junction
On Sunday, July 1, 2018, 8:45:27 AM MDT, Scott Wilson <cutthroat518...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> wrote:

Had my first today.

Back to top
Date: 7/1/18 7:45 am
From: Scott Wilson <cutthroat518...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Rufous Hummingbird
Had my first today.

Back to top
Date: 6/29/18 1:20 am
From: B Fenton <photographer.birder...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [wsbn] Meaning of BBS stop
Thanks to everyone. I’ve learned a lot from your responses.

📷 Betty

> On Jun 28, 2018, at 7:06 PM, <zblueheron...> wrote:
>
> Breeding bird survey I believe.
>
> Connie
> Aslansown.com
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Jun 28, 2018, at 5:26 PM, B Fenton <photographer.birder...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> wrote:
>>
>> This may be a stupid question but I have been noticing a number of ebird posts referencing “BBS #
>>
>> What is BBS?
>>
>> Thanks for any help you can provide.
>>
>> 📷 Betty
>> Montrose

Back to top

Date: 6/28/18 2:15 pm
From: victor <victor...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] South Fork White River-Budges area
Early this morning I birded the the south fork of the White River near Budges. This is a beautiful isolated area with an amazing amount of very large willows. I was looking for Veery in Garfield County. No luck. I still think they may be there. However, this may be the best place in Garfield County to find Willow Flycatcher and Swainson’s Thrush. Over 3 hours I saw 15 Swainson’s Thrushes and 20 Willow Flycatchers. Plenty of other riparian species.

If you try to get here, drive very carefully. The 8 mile road down off the Flat Tops from Deep Lake (Forest Road 600) is very narrow and rocky with ruts. You need a vehicle with clearance. The trip (birds and view) is well worth it.

Vic Zerbi

Back to top
Date: 6/27/18 1:50 pm
From: victor <victor...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Dickcissel - M 3/4 Road
I had the chance to slip over to slip over to M 3/4 Road near Collbran early this morning and was able to find the Dickcissel, 2 Bobolinks and a Savannah Sparrow before having to head back to Glenwood. Too short a trip but very enjoyable. Great birds.

Vic Zerbi.

Back to top
Date: 6/24/18 5:06 pm
From: victor <victor...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Boreal Owl - White Owl Lake
I heard 2 Boreal Owls at 4:15 this morning at White Owl Lake on the Flat Tops in Garfield County. Finally success after 8 tries. Not an easy night. Lots of early strong wind. Early light rain. Lots of mosquitos. Light hail at 3 AM. Then finally the owls.

Also 2 Barrow’s Goldeneyes on the Lake. Several Fox Sparrows in the willows.

Vic Zerbi

Back to top
Date: 6/24/18 3:19 pm
From: nic korte <nkorte1...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Dickcissel south of Plateau City/Mesa County

This from Jim Liewer—He keeps finding birds near my cabin and I can’t get up there…

From Jim: “Peter Robinson and I went to check hayfields where bobolinks have been seen over the past month. Hayfields on south side have been mowed, but the field on the north side has not. One good sighting of a male bobolink flying south from the north hayfield, plus a couple of other likely but unconfirmed sightings. But wait there's more!

A good and repeated sighting of an adult male dickcissel. First sighting (into the sun and not so good - large bill, black throat patch, yellow upper chest) atop the roadside tree bordering the north hayfield. . Bird gave off 3 part song/call repeatedly before flying off. Thirty minutes later as we were leaving in the car, Peter saw the bird back on the tree, same call. After trying to get a better view, I played the Sibley #1 KS song and the bird flew to a fence post on my side of the car. It gave us a good long view, easy enough to confirm it indeed was adult male dickcissel.

Location is basically the same as for the bobolinks, ME road, approx. .015 mi (slightly less than the .2 mi for bobolink) from intersection with 57 Rd.

Back to top
Date: 6/24/18 12:00 pm
From: Carol Ortenzio <protenz78...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Chats at Horsethief [3 Attachments]
Birded Horsethief Canyon State Park early yesterday (8am) to be greeted by lots of Yellow-breasted Chats. There were probably 6 or 7, though I saw only 3. Very skulky, & loud. Also had Western Wood Peewee, chickadees, bushtits, Say’ Phoebe, Western Kingbird, lots of swallows & 3 Spotted Sandpiper on the river.
Carol Ortenzio
Grand Junction

6E7A0585

6E7A0586

6E7A0587

Back to top
Date: 6/21/18 4:18 pm
From: <rclarke32001...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Caspian Tern
Caspian Tern James M. Robb Colo River State Park--Pear Park Section ( River Front Trail 1/4 Mi east of 29 Rd. Also Lesser Yellowlegs and a Spotted SP
Some pictures will be posted in eBird

Join us on Facebook!