WSBN
Received From Subject
9/19/18 10:22 pm Thomas Litteral <birdingtom...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Snowy egret, Stagecoach Res. Routt Co
9/15/18 6:22 pm 'Jim Beatty' <jdbeatty...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Red-necked Grebe At Totten
9/15/18 4:16 am <erik.hendrickson755...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Totten Lake and Denny Lake in Cortez
9/13/18 10:25 am Eric Hynes <erichynes28...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Palm Warbler in Telluride (San Miguel County)
9/10/18 8:00 pm Eric Hynes <erichynes28...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> Re: [wsbn] Request assistance with Warbler ID
9/10/18 6:56 pm B Fenton <photographer.birder...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> Re: [wsbn] Request assistance with Warbler ID
9/10/18 4:17 pm Mike Henwood <mhawkhen...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Clay-colored Sparrow - GJWA - Mesa County
9/10/18 1:55 pm B Fenton <photographer.birder...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Request assistance with Warbler ID [4 Attachments]
9/9/18 5:49 pm Thomas Litteral <birdingtom...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Merlin; Loudy-Simpson Park, Craig; Moffat Co
9/9/18 4:39 pm kent nelson <kentsnelson...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Ouray County
9/8/18 2:08 pm <erik.hendrickson755...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Denny Lake & Cortez Hot Spots - Montezuma County
9/5/18 7:19 pm <spaddrvr...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] GJWA birding trip, Wed, 5 Sep [6 Attachments]
9/5/18 6:30 pm 'Jim Beatty' <jdbeatty...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Archuleta - Eastern Kingbird plus
9/4/18 11:56 am nic korte <nkorte1...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Clay-colored Sparrow-Mesa County
9/3/18 2:11 pm 'Jim Beatty' <jdbeatty...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Denny Lake - Cassin's Vireo and Clay-colored Sparrow
9/3/18 1:49 am Steve Smith <stevesmith0813...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Sandhill at Zink’s
9/2/18 3:47 pm B Fenton <photographer.birder...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Spotted Sandpiper Otter Pond
9/2/18 3:40 pm Brenda Wright <coenbrenda...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Eleven warbler species day.
9/1/18 8:41 pm Jason St Pierre <mrjstpierre...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Northern Parula continues in La Plata County, other observations
9/1/18 3:15 pm Brenda Wright <coenbrenda...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Warblers!!
9/1/18 11:50 am Mike Henwood <mhawkhen...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Stilt Sandpiper - Green Heron pond - Mesa County
9/1/18 11:18 am JoAnn <joannpotterriggle...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Sandpipers
8/31/18 4:02 pm Thomas Litteral <birdingtom...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Peregrine at Steamboat Lake; Routt Co
8/31/18 2:08 pm Mike Henwood <mhawkhen...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Semipalmated Sandpiper - Green Heron pond Mesa County
8/29/18 6:21 am kent nelson <kentsnelson...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Ouray County
8/28/18 2:04 pm Leon Thurmon <lmthurmon...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Migrants in the yard [3 Attachments]
8/27/18 2:54 pm Mike Henwood <mhawkhen...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Black-and-white Warbler plus Nashville - Mesa county
8/27/18 9:08 am 'robgret tds.net' <robgret...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] cranes
8/27/18 9:02 am Eric Hynes <erichynes28...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Snowy Egret in Norwood
8/26/18 12:26 pm 'Jim Beatty' <jdbeatty...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Red-eyed Vireo at Durango Fish Hatchery
8/25/18 12:49 pm Thomas Litteral <birdingtom...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Purple martins and Ferruginous hawk; Routt Co/Steamboat
8/25/18 8:42 am 'robgret tds.net' <robgret...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] crane pair
8/25/18 5:20 am kent nelson <kentsnelson...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Ouray County
8/23/18 9:32 am Eric Hynes <erichynes28...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Great Egret at Trout Lake (San Miguel County) on Wednesday
8/21/18 6:22 am Forrest Luke <forrest.luke...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> [wsbn] Townsend's Warbler [1 Attachment]

Back to top
Date: 9/19/18 10:22 pm
From: Thomas Litteral <birdingtom...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Snowy egret, Stagecoach Res. Routt Co
Re-found the snowy egret at Stagecoach Reservoir at the inlet's mudflat, near Oak Creek in Routt Co. Thanks to all who posted this good find in early fall. Tom in the 'Boat

Back to top
Date: 9/15/18 6:22 pm
From: 'Jim Beatty' <jdbeatty...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Red-necked Grebe At Totten
Hi All, There was an adult basic plumaged Red-necked Grebe at Totten at 10 AM this morning. It was in northeast section of the reservoir close to the area with extensive cattails. Several of the birds reported yesterday by Erik Hendrickson were still present including American White Pelican and Forster’s Tern. Also, present were three Least Sandpipers. I didn’t see the night-herons.

Jim Beatty

Back to top
Date: 9/15/18 4:16 am
From: <erik.hendrickson755...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Totten Lake and Denny Lake in Cortez
Migration continues in Montezuma County. Last night and this morning there was a lone, tagged, American White Pelican at Totten; also a Forster's Tern. This morning there were 4 Black-crowned Night-Herons roosting on the shore, but they flew into the marsh as the morning warmed up.

Black-throated Gray and Virginia's Warbler were at Totten last evening.

Black-throated Gray, Orange-crowned, Yellow, Yellow-rumped and Wilson's Warblers, Western Tanager and Warbling Vireo were at Denny Lake this morning.

Erik Hendrickson
Cortez, CO

Back to top
Date: 9/13/18 10:25 am
From: Eric Hynes <erichynes28...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Palm Warbler in Telluride (San Miguel County)
Dear Western Slope Birders:

On my hike to town (Telluride) this morning from Mountain Village, I
encountered a Palm Warbler (western subspecies) along the river on the
valley floor.

Details about the bird and the location of the sighting can be viewed on my
eBird checklist here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48481047

Good birding,
Eric
Eric Hynes
Telluride, CO
---------------------
Field Guides Birding Tours
www.fieldguides.com
http://fieldguides.com/guides/eric-hynes

Back to top
Date: 9/10/18 8:00 pm
From: Eric Hynes <erichynes28...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [wsbn] Request assistance with Warbler ID
Hi Betty:

I can definitely see why this bird had you leaning toward MacGillivray's
Warbler. The lack of wingbars and overall plumage features are good for
MacGillivray's but I think an Orange-crowned Warbler is a better fit.

I'm seeing a warbler that has a tiny, pointy bill; a light, truncated
supercilium - rather eye arcs, and this bird is brightest yellow in the
undertail coverts.

Given the date, it is likely the orestera subspecies that breeds here in
the Rockies. The nearly identical celata subspecies that breeds in northern
Canada and Alaska probably hasn't made it this far south yet (speculation
on my part).

Good birding,
Eric
Eric Hynes
Telluride, CO
---------------------
Field Guides Birding Tours
www.fieldguides.com
http://fieldguides.com/guides/eric-hynes

On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 2:54 PM, B Fenton <photographer.birder...>
[wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> wrote:

> [Attachment(s) <#m_1261432812264035387_TopText> from B Fenton included
> below]
>
> Attached (hopefully can be seen) are photos of a warbler seen at Otter
> Pond, Montrose this morning. Plumage is giving me trouble. At first I
> thought it was a MacGillivary's but the light throat and the light feathers
> around the beak are throwing me off. Any assistance, will be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Betty Montrose

Back to top
Date: 9/10/18 6:56 pm
From: B Fenton <photographer.birder...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Thanks for responses. My bird has been identified as an Orange-crowned Warbler.

📷 Betty
Montrose

> On Sep 10, 2018, at 2:54 PM, B Fenton <photographer.birder...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...> wrote:
>
> [Attachment(s) from B Fenton included below]
> Attached (hopefully can be seen) are photos of a warbler seen at Otter Pond, Montrose this morning. Plumage is giving me trouble. At first I thought it was a MacGillivary's but the light throat and the light feathers around the beak are throwing me off. Any assistance, will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Betty Montrose

Back to top
Date: 9/10/18 4:17 pm
From: Mike Henwood <mhawkhen...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Clay-colored Sparrow - GJWA - Mesa County
After looking at 100's of Sparrows- mostly Chipping and Brewer's - Kathleen
McGinley and I found a *Clay-colored Sparrow* in the same general area as
Nic Korte found one a week ago at the Grand Junction Wildlife Area (GJWA).
The head markings were much cleaner, brighter and more contrasting than the
duller Brewer's and Chipping Sparrows we had been studying. We were able
to study it with the scope and see the buffy supercilium , pale lores, dark
"mustache" and lateral white throat-stripe, gray nape. Good morning with
lots of birds.

Sparrows - large numbers of Brewer's and Chipping, Lark, Vesper, Song, and
Lincoln's. Had two adult dark-lores White-crowned Sparrows and several
first year Gambel's White-crowned Sparrows (light lores).

Warblers included Orange-crowned, Wilson's, MacGillivray's, and one
Townsend's.
Flycatcher's seen were Black Phoebe, Say's Phoebe, Western Wood-Pewee, and
Hammond's.
Other migrants included Warbling and Plumbeous Vireos, Western Tanager.

Birds moving down in elevation included White-breasted Nuthatch, Bewick's
Wren, Ruby-crowned Kinglet.

Overall we tallied 45+ Species and enjoyed a great morning of birding.

Mike Henwood
Grand Junction
Mesa County

Back to top

Date: 9/9/18 5:49 pm
From: Thomas Litteral <birdingtom...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Merlin; Loudy-Simpson Park, Craig; Moffat Co
Fall birders,
Yesterday morning we took a nice stroll through LS Park in Craig. Lots of Wilson's warblers, catbirds, a sharp-shinned hawk trying for a catbird breakfast but not too many other migrating species. Got a quick look at what I believe was a merlin on the east side of town near the old drive-in. Tom in the 'Boat

Back to top
Date: 9/9/18 4:39 pm
From: kent nelson <kentsnelson...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Ouray County
Birders,
Not much today at Billy Creek, except one Virginia's Wb, a few Western Wood Pewees, and lots of bluebirds, but one Black Phoebe was at the bridge over the Uncompahgre River.
The reservoir was completely devoid of birds.
Kent NelsonOuray

Back to top
Date: 9/8/18 2:08 pm
From: <erik.hendrickson755...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Denny Lake & Cortez Hot Spots - Montezuma County
At Denny Lake in Cortez this morning, I saw 8 species of Warblers, including: Orange-crowned
Nashville
MacGillivray's
Townsend's

Photos here:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48373145 https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48373145

Also, in the past two days at Simon Draw Wildlife Area (just 1/4 mile east of the Totten Reservoir parking area), there have several shorebird species, including:
Solitary Sandpiper
Least Sandpiper
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Baird's Sandpiper

I'm going back out later this afternoon....

Erik Hendrickson
Cortez, Colo.

Back to top
Date: 9/5/18 7:19 pm
From: <spaddrvr...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] GJWA birding trip, Wed, 5 Sep [6 Attachments]
Went out on a short birding trip to GJWA and saw other birders near the pond. Lots of warblers near the river, but my real action was near the end of the two track road heading south once I got to the sunflower fields.

Saw

Blue Grosbeak (photo)
House Wren (photo)
Wild Turkey
Warbling Vireo (maybe) (photo)
Western Kingbird (photo)
Bird with buff breast (photo)

Any ID help/corrections will be greatly appreciated.

Byron Hukee

Back to top
Date: 9/5/18 6:30 pm
From: 'Jim Beatty' <jdbeatty...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Archuleta - Eastern Kingbird plus
Hi , There was an Eastern Kingbird at Windsurf Beach in Navajo SP this morning at 8 AM. I looked for it about a half hour later and could not find it again. It was in the extensive low growth where the lake used to be on the west side. Other birds of note were 31 Baird’s Sandpipers at Dunnagan Reservoir and another 5 Baird’s across the road in the pond at Jack’s Pasture along with a Solitary Sandpiper and 5 Wilson’s Phalaropes. Warblers were few and far between everywhere and vireos were absent. There were 11 Forster’s Terns at the north end of Hatcher Reservoir.

Good birding as migration continues,

Jim Beatty
Durango, CO

Back to top
Date: 9/4/18 11:56 am
From: nic korte <nkorte1...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Clay-colored Sparrow-Mesa County
I managed a quick trip to Grand Junction Wildlife Area to look for warblers, but was attracted by many, many birds in the NE corner of the big sunflower field. I was rewarded with an excellent look at a bird I've expected to see for decades in Mesa County-a Clay-colored Sparrow. It hopped up on a sunflower against a blue sky. I was immediately attracted to the buff cast to the breast and the much stronger demarcation of the face because of the white around the throat. I was also able to see the white in the crown stripe. This location is within a few yards of where Mike Henwood found one on Sept. 5 last year.

The sunflower field was full of Goldfinches of both types and there were many Lazuli Buntings as well as sparrows. My numbers on my ebird list are low approximations related more to how many birds I looked at rather than a reflection of how many were there.

I also found a warbler flock just off the SW corner of the big field but couldn't find anything besides the most usual suspects: Wilsons (many), Yellow, Orange-crowned and a MacGillivray's.

Nic Korte

Back to top
Date: 9/3/18 2:11 pm
From: 'Jim Beatty' <jdbeatty...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Denny Lake - Cassin's Vireo and Clay-colored Sparrow
Hi All, Yesterday there were three vireo species at Denny Lake – Cassin’s, Plumbeous, and Warbling. All were in the Russian olives at the northeast corner of the lake. There was also a lone Clay-colored Sparrow on the east side about half way along that shoreline. Excellent looks at both birds. Shorebirds at the Montezuma lakes were almost non-existent. Only American Avocets at Narraguinnep. Water levels are extremely low in Narraguinnep and McPhee.

Jim Beatty
Durango, CO

Back to top
Date: 9/3/18 1:49 am
From: Steve Smith <stevesmith0813...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Sandhill at Zink’s
There is a Sandhill Crane in the field just north of Zink’s pond in
Durango.
--
Steve Smith
Durango

Back to top
Date: 9/2/18 3:47 pm
From: B Fenton <photographer.birder...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Spotted Sandpiper Otter Pond
I was surprised to find a Spotted Sandpiper at Otter Pond, Montrose, today. It was standing on a platform near the edge of the pond. First time sighting for this little pond.

📷 Betty

Back to top
Date: 9/2/18 3:40 pm
From: Brenda Wright <coenbrenda...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Eleven warbler species day.
Greetings,
This morning Brenda and I hiked around the Nucla Domestic Reservoir to see what birds we could find. There were many birds but after three hours we decided we had enough.The canal that feeds the reservoir is heavily wooded with willows and cottonwoods and some Russian olives, all great habitat for birds. The path along the canal gives the birder a great vantage to view birds. This area is only two miles from our house so we visit it often. Today, we were the only people there.

Brenda took many photos and they can be viewed by clicking on the link below. Northern Waterthrush is the rarest bird followed by Townsend's and Nashville Warblers.Good birding in fall migration!Coen and Brenda

http://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48250262

Back to top
Date: 9/1/18 8:41 pm
From: Jason St Pierre <mrjstpierre...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Northern Parula continues in La Plata County, other observations
I visited Pastorius Reservoir again today in search of the Northern Parula.
I finally relocated it today at 11:30 AM, and viewed it off and on (mostly
off) for about 10 minutes. The bird was foraging in and around some Russian
olive immediately north of the inflow ditch in the mid-level of the trees,
though I viewed it from the south side of the ditch where the trail from
the parking lot dead-ends at its furthest north extent. You'll know if you
are on the trail - it has a downed tree that is waist-high, and the
mosquitoes are offensive at best. It's a neat spot to watch birds come down
to the water to forage, and I've had waterthrush a couple times this fall
in this same spot.

I also birded several spots around town throughout the day. My only
Townsend's was in the same spot as the Parula. My only Black-throated Gray
was on the river trail. They seem to have thinned out a bit.
MacGillivray's, orange-crowned, yellow, Virginia's and WIlson's are still
going strong, and Yellow-rumped are extremely abundant. The Nashville
warblers seem to have disappeared (Had at least 4 last weekend on the river
trail).

What I'm really wondering though is... where the heck are the Plumbeous
Vireos? Last year at this time they were everywhere in the county. I've
seen 2 Cassin's, 1 Red-eyed, and perhaps 6 Warbling Vireos in the last 2
weeks and 0 Plumbeous.

Jason St. Pierre

Back to top
Date: 9/1/18 3:15 pm
From: Brenda Wright <coenbrenda...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Warblers!!

Greetings,Birding at the Nucla Domestic Reservoir and on the canal that feeds the reservoir proved to be very rewarding this AM. Surely we are at peek migration. Maybe tomorrow we will turn up a real rarity. See our list and photos below!
Yesterday, we birded around a cornfield and tallied over 500 individuals, mostly sparrows. Best bird was a Lark Bunting.We still have many hummingbirds and all four species. This has been an exceptional year for Calliope Hummingbirds. On several occasions we could count 4 or more at the feeders at one time. We have 9 feeders up and still have to fill them daily.Good birding,Coen and Brenda

http://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48222874

Back to top
Date: 9/1/18 11:50 am
From: Mike Henwood <mhawkhen...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Stilt Sandpiper - Green Heron pond - Mesa County
Green Heron pond continues to have good number of migrating shorebirds.
Made another trip this morning and quite a bit of turnover from yesterday.
Highlights were *Stilt Sandpiper *and the *Semipalmated Sandpiper *(probably
the same one as seen yesterday).

The *Stilt Sandpiper *is larger than the peeps, but smaller than the
Killdeer and the Yellowlegs.
It has a rather long, drooping bill, and long greenish-yellow legs. Feeds
by irregular probing.

Highlights:
*Stilt Sandpiper*
*Semipalmated Sandpiper*
Least Sandpiper - at least 5
Western Sandpiper - 3
Baird's Sandpiper - 2-
Greater Yellowlegs - 1
Lesser Yellowlegs - 2
Sora - 1

Juvenile Black Phoebe (buffy wing bars).

Mike Henwood
Grand Junction
Mesa County

Back to top
Date: 9/1/18 11:18 am
From: JoAnn <joannpotterriggle...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Sandpipers
Sorry this is so late. Bob and I birded around Dillon Reservoir yesterday and found two Semipalmated Sandpipers at the Soda Creek Inlet. Photos are on eBird , Summit County.

JoAnn Potter Riggle

The difference between a beginning birder and an experienced one is that beginning birders have misidentified few birds. Experienced birders have misidentified thousands.” Pete Dunn

Back to top
Date: 8/31/18 4:02 pm
From: Thomas Litteral <birdingtom...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Peregrine at Steamboat Lake; Routt Co
Birders,
As part of the Yampa Valley Crane Festival, my wife and I hosted a pontoon boat birding event on Steamboat Lake. A couple of surprises included an early hooded merganser, 3 winter plumage Wilson's phalaropes, and a close passing of a peregrine falcon just skimming over the lake surface. I've seen this hunting behavior on sea coasts but not on fresh water bodies. It was a treat for our participants. Tom in the 'Boat

Back to top
Date: 8/31/18 2:08 pm
From: Mike Henwood <mhawkhen...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Semipalmated Sandpiper - Green Heron pond Mesa County
Good assortment of waders & shorebirds @ Green Heron pond this morning.
Sandpipers
Semipalmated
Least - 4
Western - 3
Baird’s - 2
Solitary - 1
Lesser Yellowlegs 3
Greater Yellowlegs 1
Sora 1
Killdeer - 10
Peregrine Falcon 1

Mike Henwood
Grand Junction
Mesa County

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 8/29/18 6:21 am
From: kent nelson <kentsnelson...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Birders,
The Semipalmated Plover was not at the Ridgway Reservoir yesterday. Not much there, except a beautiful Peregrine Falcon soaring around.
My pathetic feeder is getting some activity --- Green-tailed Towhee, Lincoln's Sparrow, Western Tanager, and the usual grosbeaks and finches, and one junco.
On a hike to Blue Lakes Monday, I had three warbler species, Green-tailed Towhee, lots of juncos, Hermit Thrush, and a few Empids.
Kent NelsonOuray

Back to top
Date: 8/28/18 2:04 pm
From: Leon Thurmon <lmthurmon...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Migrants in the yard [3 Attachments]
Hi Birders,
The migrants are on the move.  A Townsend's Warbler, Western Tanager, Western Wood Peewee and others are busy busy busy fueling up in my yard today.  Pics of the Townsend's and Peewee attached.
Good Birding to all,
Leon T.
Palisade

Back to top
Date: 8/27/18 2:54 pm
From: Mike Henwood <mhawkhen...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Black-and-white Warbler plus Nashville - Mesa county
Hi All,

Did some birding in GJWA (Grand Junction Wildlife Area) this morning and
saw 7 different warbler species. The *Black-and-white Warbler and the
Nashville Warbler *were both in a mixed flock of warblers and chickadees.
I walked around the pond as well as the trail along the Gunnison River and
the trail along the Colorado River.

Warblers included MacGillivray's, Orange-crowned, Wilson's, Yellow and
Yellow-rumped.
Other birds of note included Western Tanager, Black-headed and Blue
Grosbeaks, Lazuli Bunting, and a Black Phoebe along the oxbow on the
Colorado River. Also heard a White-winged Dove (my first at GJWA).

Before this year, I have only seen one Black-and-white Warbler in Mesa
County. So far this year we have had sightings from several different
individuals at GJWA, Horsethief Canyon SWA, and old Grand Mesa Road. *Birds
of Western Colorado and Mesa Country *indicates it is a rare spring and
fall migrant. Not sure what to make of all the sightings this fall - past
sightings have been in October or later.

Mike Henwood
Grand Junction
Mesa County

Back to top
Date: 8/27/18 9:08 am
From: 'robgret tds.net' <robgret...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] cranes
Pair of cranes are again in the hay field in Hotchkiss. I wonder if they are becoming permanent residents. Last summer I saw a pair in the North Fork by the black bridge.

Robin Nicholoff

Hotchkiss

Back to top
Date: 8/27/18 9:02 am
From: Eric Hynes <erichynes28...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Snowy Egret in Norwood
Just had a Snowy Egret at the little farm pond on the west side of 43ZS on the south side of Norwood. It took off but with so little water around, it should still be nearby. Also had three American Avocets, two Baird’s, a Solitary Sandpiper, one Wilson’s Snipe and four Killdeer.

Best,
Eric Hynes

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 8/26/18 12:26 pm
From: 'Jim Beatty' <jdbeatty...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Red-eyed Vireo at Durango Fish Hatchery
The Red-eyed Vireo at the Durango Fish Hatchery was still there this morning at 7:00 AM. It was in taller scrub oak between Huck Finn Pond and the Animas River with a small flock of mostly Yellow Warblers. When I tried to find it again later, I couldn’t find it. There was also a Northern Waterthrush on the south side of Huck Finn Pond which had been previously reported. The RE Vireo was reported on the eBird La Plata County rare bird report yesterday and seen by Riley Morris and Jason St. Pierre. Thanks to them for this rare bird. I only know of one other Red-eyed Vireo sighting in the 20 years I’ve been here and that was a bird found by Rich Levad at the 2002 CFO Convention in Durango. It was along the Animas south of town.

Jim Beatty
Durango

Back to top
Date: 8/25/18 12:49 pm
From: Thomas Litteral <birdingtom...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Purple martins and Ferruginous hawk; Routt Co/Steamboat
Birders,
While out on a bike ride this morning, I saw 7-8 purple martins on RCR 14 at the Sydney Peak Horse Barn area. Included in the mix were a couple adult males with full dark bellies and square tail for positive ID. Then to top this off I had a fly over of a Ferruginous hawk on RCR 35. It was a close encounter so I could clearly see the white wing patches and lighter rump. Just as I considering how to justify this ID two Swainson’s hawks (one light phase, one dark phase) dive bombed the Ferruginous for a very close comparison plus it wasn’t over as an osprey did the same dive bomb harassment. I wasn’t able to see if this lone hawk had caught anything but it must have felt not very welcomed by the residents.
Fun stuff!  Tom

Back to top
Date: 8/25/18 8:42 am
From: 'robgret tds.net' <robgret...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] crane pair
In Carston’s hay field (large field next to RR tracks at east end of Hotchkiss) yesterday afternoon.

-Robin Nicholoff
Hotchkiss

Back to top
Date: 8/25/18 5:20 am
From: kent nelson <kentsnelson...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Birders,
As many of you know, the Ridgway Reservoir is very low. (It was originally built under false arguments, so when it's so ugly I'm irritated). Anyway, on Wednesday I saw a large flock of dark birds at the far end and some shorebirds closer, but I couldn't stop. Yesterday, Friday, I went back to see what was there. The flock was gone. Viewing is difficult because one has to look across a stretch of water because now the near viewpoints are rocky and dogs and people chase birds farther away. There were several sandpipers, probably Baird's, four Killdeer, and one Semi-palmated Plover, 3 Great Blue Herons, one Eared Grebe.
At the banding station area up the river the berries were ripe and a good flock of Evening Grosbeaks and Cedar Waxwings were feeding, along with Western Tanagers, Robins, and a couple of W. Scrub Jays and Clark's Nutcrackers. An Empid Flycatcher was in the willows near the river. Several swallows were also around, V.G. and Rough-winged.
I've put up my pathetic feeder again, but nothing special so far...
Kent NelsonOuray

Back to top
Date: 8/23/18 9:32 am
From: Eric Hynes <erichynes28...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Great Egret at Trout Lake (San Miguel County) on Wednesday
Hello Western Slope Birders:

Sorry for the delayed report (traveling) but I wanted to get the word out
about a Great Egret at Trout Lake (just east of 145, just north of Lizard
Head Pass) on Wednesday.

A lousy documenting photo (in the rain) can be observed on my eBird
checklist:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48023514

Best,
Eric
Eric Hynes
Telluride, CO

Date: 8/21/18 6:22 am
From: Forrest Luke <forrest.luke...> [wsbn] <wsbn-noreply...>
Subject: [wsbn] Townsend's Warbler [1 Attachment]
Had male and female Townsend's Warblers at Loudy-Simpson Park last evening. Also had a Yampa Valley rarity Blue Grosbeak, along with the usual assortment of hangers on.

Forrest Luke
Craig

Join us on Facebook!