SanDiegoRegionBirding
Received From Subject
4/19/24 11:23 am David Povey via groups.io <poveydw747...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] San Diego Pelagic Birding trips for 2024
4/19/24 11:21 am <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] early/rare Semipalmated Sandpiper in TRV
4/18/24 12:29 pm Andrew N via groups.io <floodshark...> Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Smuggler's Gulch Drainage west of Hollister in the TRV
4/18/24 12:17 pm lindsay willrick via groups.io <Lwillrick...> Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Smuggler's Gulch Drainage west of Hollister in the TRV
4/18/24 11:34 am Andrew N via groups.io <floodshark...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Smuggler's Gulch Drainage west of Hollister in the TRV
4/17/24 8:24 pm Hal Cohen via groups.io <raptorhal3...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Swainson's Hawks in Borrego Springs-At least 200-400-Wednesday Evening 4/17
4/15/24 5:07 pm Paul Mulholland via groups.io <pmulhol...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Another Calliope hummer - Torrey Pines/Guy Fleming Trail
4/15/24 3:52 pm Ted Keyel via groups.io <erkeyel...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Chimney Swift, Carlsbad
4/15/24 11:18 am <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] some "final" wintering rarity/scarce record-high counts, & misc.
4/14/24 11:19 am Mike Wittmer via groups.io <bumper1369...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Bobolink Agua Caliente Co Park -Early Morning
4/14/24 9:02 am <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Mcgillivray's push and another Orchard
4/13/24 9:58 am <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Minor South Bay stuff
4/13/24 8:53 am Nathan French <nathanfrenchphotography...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Calliope Hummingbird near Marston Canyon 4/13
4/12/24 8:37 am <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] new Orchard Oriole & Pine Siskin masses
4/11/24 9:47 am <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Kitchen Creek Road
4/10/24 8:35 pm Matt Sadowski <mattsadowski78...> Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Swainson's Hawks/Turkey Vultures in Borrego Springs
4/10/24 8:19 pm Aaron Jones <atj0888...> Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Swainson's Hawks/Turkey Vultures in Borrego Springs
4/8/24 7:23 pm Geoff Veith via groups.io <veithlaw...> Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Wilson's Plover refound Emory cove
4/8/24 6:08 pm <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Wilson's Plover refound Emory cove
4/8/24 2:49 pm <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Wilson's Plover
4/7/24 7:47 am <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Pantoja Chestnut-sided looking good
4/6/24 8:30 am <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Inland Palm Warbler, continuing Hepatic
4/4/24 10:18 pm Philip Unitt <unitt...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Yellow-headed Blackbirds on Otay Mesa
4/4/24 7:51 pm Paul Chad via groups.io <paulchad4...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] local G-W Gull, B&W Warbler
4/4/24 3:32 pm Nathan French <nathanfrenchphotography...> Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Possible Gila Woodpecker at Abert’s Towhee Spot
4/4/24 2:31 pm Stan Walens <stan.walens...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Carpool to Abert's towhee this weekend?
4/3/24 9:05 pm Hal Cohen <raptorhal3...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Swainson's Hawks/Turkey Vultures in Borrego Springs
4/3/24 10:10 am <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Mount Soledad morning flight (general info)
4/3/24 8:36 am Nathan French <nathanfrenchphotography...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Possible Gila Woodpecker at Abert’s Towhee Spot
4/2/24 3:25 pm <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] a few continuing things, and a bit of Abert's Towhee history
4/2/24 1:46 pm Michael Beeve <pileatedwoodpecker...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Scott's Oriole, Gray Vireo, Pine Siskin, others - Kitchen Creek Road
4/1/24 2:13 pm Eve Martin <yvemartin...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Abert's Towhees Continue
3/31/24 2:15 pm Justyn Stahl <justyn.stahl...> Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] eBirding near the political boundaries
3/31/24 1:46 pm Nancy Christensen <nancy.r.christensen...> Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] eBirding near the political boundaries
3/31/24 1:40 pm Justyn Stahl <justyn.stahl...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] eBirding near the political boundaries
3/30/24 9:38 am thomasf_h <thomas.fordhut...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Abert's Towhees in Travertine Palms Wash aka "the far corner"
3/30/24 9:28 am Stan Walens <stan.walens...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Trip #423: juvenile red-footed booby
3/30/24 8:03 am Justyn Stahl <justyn.stahl...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Abert’s Towhees continue 30 March
3/29/24 9:30 am <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] continuing Grace's & Baltimore
3/28/24 4:05 pm Alison Hiers via groups.io <lahiers...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Carmel Valley Recreation Center on Townsgate
3/28/24 9:34 am <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] some continuing TRV birds
3/27/24 5:31 am terry hurst via groups.io <thurstycat61...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Gray Flycatcher, Big Rock Park and Trails Santee 03/26/2024
3/26/24 7:48 pm Hal Cohen <raptorhal3...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Swainson's Hawks This Evening in Borrego Springs
3/25/24 11:51 am Justyn Stahl <justyn.stahl...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Ridgway's Rail Survey - 26 March - volunteers needed
3/25/24 11:05 am Denise Riddle <driddle1855...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] FOS Bell’s Vireo (Least) San Luis Rey River, Oceanside
3/24/24 11:42 am <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] La Jolla Seawatch Ancient Murrelet
3/24/24 10:01 am King, Dan <kingdaking519...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Black-legged Kittiwake (now gone?) - PQ Lagoon
3/23/24 10:54 am Justyn Stahl <justyn.stahl...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Thick-billed Kingbird, Inca Dove, LT Duck
3/22/24 1:08 pm steve brad <stevanbrad...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] north county shore bird spot
3/22/24 10:45 am <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] a few continuing rarities, new Neotropic, B&B tamarisk trees
3/21/24 8:38 pm Hal Cohen <raptorhal3...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Swainson's Hawks in Borrego Springs
3/20/24 8:19 pm Hal Cohen <raptorhal3...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Swainson's Hawks in Borrego Spring-Over 500
3/20/24 1:41 pm Hal Cohen <raptorhal3...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Swainson's Hawks in Borrego Springs

Back to top
Date: 4/19/24 11:23 am
From: David Povey via groups.io <poveydw747...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] San Diego Pelagic Birding trips for 2024
Hello fellow Birders,
San Diego Pelagics is excited to present its 2024 Birding Pelagic Trips.
These are sponsored by Buena Vista Audubon.
Some of you have already signed on one or more of our 2024 trips. Thank you.
We're less than a month away from the first trip on *Saturday, May 18th*.
That trip should correspond with the peak of seabird spring migration, and
give us a chance for some of the hold over wintering birds. Sooty
Shearwater, Black Storm-Petrel, and Elegant Terns will all be "in town". We
should get looks at the resident soon to be split (?) Brown Booby.
Sabine's gulls, jaegers and terns should be in high plumage. We should have
good numbers of phalaropes.
We even occasionally pick a landbird migrant or two.
The second trip will be on *Saturday,* *June 8th*.
May and June are nearing the end of Scripps's Murrelets stay locally, and
at this season they may even have a chick in tow. The June trip might pick
up the first Craveri's Murrelet of the season. The last few years Ashy
Storm-Petrel have been somewhat regular on the May and June trips. Spring
trips hold the possibility for a local albatross though rare inside the
Channel Islands. Then we also hope for Cook's Petrel. Certainly rare in
most years, but there is a slightly better chance on the June and July
trips ). Other spring trips have turned up S.P. Skua, Flesh-footed
Shearwater, and even a Red-billed Tropicbird. All are rare. Then one can
dream of other rarities. I am superstitious to name the possibilities, but
every trip holds the chance of "striking gold". Always an adventure out
there. Rarities are called that for good reason, but, as Terry Hunefeld
would say " you can't see one while sitting on the couch at home".
Our focus will be birds, but the spring trips also have produced some nice
looks and the larger whale species, such as Blue and Fin Whales. Several
species of dolphin are hard to avoid.

I hope you'll join us. All trips are aboard the 80ft. Legacy out of
Seaforth Sportfishing Landing in Mission Bay. These trips are generally
about 10 - 11 hours and all attempts will be made to return to the dock no
later than the stated return time of 6 p.m. We continue to hold the price
at last year's $160
To see the full schedule, trip details, directions, expected and hope for
species, and past trips reports, see the *www.sandiegopelagics.com
<http://www.sandiegopelagics.com>*. website. Then to book a trip you can
connect from that website or go directly to *www.sdwhale.com
<http://www.sdwhale.com>.* or lastly you can call the Seaforth Landing at *619
224-3383* during regular business hours Pacific Daylight savings Time.
Just as a heads up note, fall trips book up early.

Trip dates;
*May 18, 2024*
*June 8, 2024*
*July 14, 2024*
August 3, 2024
August 4, 2024
August 25, 2024
Sept. 7, 2024
Sept. 8, 2024
Sept. 28, 2024

Good Birding to you,
Dave Povey
Dulzura

View/Reply Online (#15957): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15957
The monthly meetings of San Diego Field Ornithologists (SDFO) are currently virtual, open only to members, at 6pm on the third Tuesday of every month.

Two notable on-line resources are available for San Diego birders: the San Diego County Bird Atlas by Phil Unitt (2004) - http://sdplantatlas.org/BirdAtlas/BirdPages.aspx ; and an update of notable records for San Diego County (2002–present), compiled by Paul Lehman - https://bvaudubon.org/birding-resources/ .

Back to top
Date: 4/19/24 11:21 am
From: <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] early/rare Semipalmated Sandpiper in TRV
A couple hours ago I found a breeding Plumaged semipalmated Sandpiper in the Tijuana River Valley at the spot Andrew Newmark posted about yesterday. An overflow sewage area west of Hollister Avenue and north of Monument. The easiest way to get there is to turn West off Hollister along the south edge of the Ponyland horse stable area that's there on the west side of Hollister, just a little north of monument, and go west on the dirt road and park right by the sign that says the trail straight ahead of you is closed due to flooding, which it isn't. And you walk due West on that wide County parks path and you end up at the northeast corner of that partly flooded disgusting area full of trash. Problem is you're a good ways from the bird. So you need a good scope and you need to know how to identify an alternate Semi amongst a bunch of Westerns and Leasts had a pretty good distance. There are about 50 peep and some semi plovers and a few Bonapartes gulls and a few other miscellaneous waterbirds there. Best way to pick the bird out is it shows no rufous on the back or wing coverts, but is just a gray brown with some blacker feather centers, and then there is a blush of warm color on the crown, but best of all is the shorter bill with a slightly thicker base that's straight, and especially the darker and more extensively Dark auriculars are a very good character to look for.
There are only a couple previous County records of spring Semi Sandpipers, and this is the earliest, and it is certainly one of the earliest spring dates in California.
Right as I was leaving several people showed up including Andrew Newmark and Matt Sadowski who were taking photos of the bird when I left. So there will be photos to look at in eBird reports later today.

Paul Lehman, San Diego

Sent from AOL on Android

View/Reply Online (#15956): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15956

Date: 4/18/24 12:29 pm
From: Andrew N via groups.io <floodshark...>
Subject: Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Smuggler's Gulch Drainage west of Hollister in the TRV
Terrifying. The ground around the pin was thankfully nice and firm but if
you visit the area maybe stick to scoping from the berms (the elevated view
is nicer anyway) if you're not looking to have an Indiana Jones-esque
surprise!

Andrew Newmark
Chula Vista, CA

View/Reply Online (#15955): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15955

View/Reply Online (#15954): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15954

Date: 4/18/24 11:34 am
From: Andrew N via groups.io <floodshark...>

View/Reply Online (#15953): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15953

Date: 4/17/24 8:24 pm
From: Hal Cohen via groups.io <raptorhal3...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Swainson's Hawks in Borrego Springs-At least 200-400-Wednesday Evening 4/17
This evening at 6:40pm we were surprised! At least 75 hawks streamed in
from the south. By 7pm around 80 more hawks arrived. For the next half hour
one stream of hawks after another arrived. Conservatively we believe at
least 200 hawks dropped into the Date Farm and Roadrunner Club. The number
could reach 400 or more, as one kettle after another arrived until 7:30pm.

Tomorrow the wind will be very light. The hawks will probably begin to
kettle up after 7:30am or later. The best viewing will probably be around
1.8 miles north of Palm Canyon Drive on Borrego Valley Rd. If the hawks
move northwest, the best viewing will be on DiGiorgio Rd. around 1.8 miles
north of Palm Canyon Drive. We will have scouts out to help locate the
hawks.
Hal Cohen
Borrego Springs, CA

View/Reply Online (#15952): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15952

Date: 4/15/24 5:07 pm
From: Paul Mulholland via groups.io <pmulhol...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Another Calliope hummer - Torrey Pines/Guy Fleming Trail
There’s a nice-looking adult male Calliope hummingbird visiting a patch of
wildflowers on the Guy Fleming trail at the Torrey Pines Reserve. I
observed the bird for about 10 minutes at these coordinates:
(32.9239075, -117.2570626)

View/Reply Online (#15951): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15951

Date: 4/15/24 3:52 pm
From: Ted Keyel via groups.io <erkeyel...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Chimney Swift, Carlsbad
Hi all, I just had at least one Chimney Swift calling in a flock of 42
Chaetura swifts flyover me close to the intersection of Poinsettia Ln and
Black Rail Rd in Carlsbad.

As I was getting out of my car, I heard the rapid, bubbling chatter of a
Chimney Swift (a call that I'm intimately familiar with from WI), looked up
and saw a flock of Chaetura swifts flying low overhead. Unfortunately, I
didn't have any optics/camera with me and by the time I tried to get the
voice recorder going on my phone the flock had moved on to the northwest.

I am new to the area and am looking forward to birding around more and
getting to meet you all. I've been an avian field biologist for most of the
last decade and will be starting a cartography/GIS position at Camp
Pendelton next week.

Happy Birding,
-Ted Keyel
Carlsbad (soon-to-be-Oceanside)

View/Reply Online (#15950): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15950

Date: 4/15/24 11:18 am
From: <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] some "final" wintering rarity/scarce record-high counts, & misc.
A little miscellanea on Monday morning the 15th include continuing Northern Waterthrush, American Redstart, and migrant Wood Duck in the Dairy Mart/Sod Farm area, and one of my exceedingly few migrant Violet-green Swallows this season, at Sweetwater Reservoir. Clearly there's been a bit of a push of Vaux's Swifts the past couple days.

The official winter season is over, but a number of wintering rarities and otherwise scarce species still hang on as of the past couple days (e.g., Lapland Longspur, Orchard Orioles, N. Waterthrushes, Black-and-white, Am. Redstart, Chestnut-sideds, Hepatic and Summer Tanagers). Following are some of the record high (or second-highest) totals of wintering notable species in San Diego County obtained during Dec 2023-Apr 2024. Most of these records are certainly the result of better and better observer coverage, rather than some actual increase in avian populations or that the habitat here locally is improving for them--as both these are likely declining instead.

Western Flycatcher:  14  (old record 10)
Plumbeous Vireo:  25  (old record 18)
Green-tailed Towhee:  40  (old record ??)

Orchard Oriole:  12  (old record 9)
Black-and-white Warbler:  19  (record is 21)
Yellow Warbler:  45  (old record 34)
Black-thr. Gray Warbler:  54  (old record 44)
Hepatic Tanager:  6

Summer Tanager:  65  (record is 71)
Western Tanager:  97  (old record 73)

The record totals for Orchard Oriole and Hepatic Tanager reflect also larger than normal numbers this past winter elsewhere in (southern) California.

--Paul Lehman, San Diego

View/Reply Online (#15949): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15949

Date: 4/14/24 11:19 am
From: Mike Wittmer via groups.io <bumper1369...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Bobolink Agua Caliente Co Park -Early Morning
Female 1st year Bobolink at the horseshoe area where you park for day use.  Merlin initially identified the bird but it popped up onto a dead tree near the horseshoe pits for a short time. It then dove into thickets.  Merlin identified it again resulting in a brief view but it was extremely shy and quick.  Unable to obtain a photo but the bird was a perfect match for a female.  I observed this bird very early and spent about 30 minutes attempting to relocate but activity and winds picked up significantly   I just found WiFi so it took a while to complete this notification

Mike Wittmer
Escondido

View/Reply Online (#15948): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15948

Date: 4/14/24 9:02 am
From: <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Mcgillivray's push and another Orchard
Given that McGillivrays Warbler is a very uncommon coastal migrant, the fact I've heard about three already this morning, Sunday, before 9:00 a.m. suggests there's a reasonable flight of them today. I had one at Pantoja Park this morning with the Chestnut sided that continues, Barbara W. had one at Chollas Reservoir, and Bridget had one at Doyle Park, where she also had a singing Orchard Oriole. Seem to be a reasonable number of Orange crowns and Yellow rumps around today. The private property Hepatic Tanager continues early this morning in Tierrasanta, just about the latest I've ever had it stay.

Paul Lehman, San Diego

Sent from AOL on Android

View/Reply Online (#15947): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15947

Date: 4/13/24 9:58 am
From: <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Minor South Bay stuff
Saturday morning, there's a male Wood Duck on the flooded sod farm pond in the TRV, behaving shy, so it's probably a legitimate rare spring migrant rather than a wanderer from one of the feral populations locally. First of season arrival group of four Wilsons and one Red-necked Phalaropes at the salt works off 13th Street. A few Chats have arrived in the Tijuana River Valley. The typical spring concentration of gulls on the J Street mud flats for the middle of April, with about 800 ugly immature California gulls and only 10 or so remaining Ring billed Gulls. Sweetwater Reservoir has continuing adult Bald Eagle.
Paul Lehman, San Diego
Sent from AOL on Android

View/Reply Online (#15946): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15946

Date: 4/13/24 8:53 am
From: Nathan French <nathanfrenchphotography...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Calliope Hummingbird near Marston Canyon 4/13
At 8:45am I briefly had a Calliope Hummingbird in the bottlebrush tree at a residence just east of the Vermont Street entrance to Marston Canyon. Not seeing it at the moment but it was here:

(32.7443225, -117.1530268)

Nathan French
Hillcrest

View/Reply Online (#15945): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15945

Date: 4/12/24 8:37 am
From: <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] new Orchard Oriole & Pine Siskin masses
Friday morning at 8:00 a.m. a first-year male Orchard Oriole was feeding in the blooming coral trees along the edge of the San Diego Zoo parking lot, specifically in the trees at the end of the parking line with the hornbill sign, along with three of the wintering dull looking Western Tanagers that are still here. Got chased off after a while by a young male Hooded Oriole, at which time the size difference was stunning. Even before then, it was obvious that the Orchard was quite small, as it fed with a Western Tanager. An adult male Orchard was known to winter here and inside the zoo this year, but this is the first report I'm aware of of a young male here this year.

Yesterday, I reported that we tried to count the Pine Siskin masses at the seed feeders in Pine Valley across from the sheriff substation and came up with about 110 birds. But I asked Sally and Patti who were stopping there a little later to also count them and they found additional birds at a second feeder farther back in the yard and they estimated almost 200 siskins. If anybody is stopping there in the next number of days as they come back from Kitchen Creek Road or similar places, it would be worth trying to do as accurate a count as possible, as this is one of the all-time high single-site counts ever in the county.

Paul Lehman, San Diego

Sent from AOL on Android

View/Reply Online (#15944): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15944

Date: 4/11/24 9:47 am
From: <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Kitchen Creek Road
Several birders visited Kitchen Creek Road Thursday morning. And while all the hoped-for species were gotten, numbers were not overwhelming. A pair of Gray Vireos were in the swale on the right side of the road at about mile 2-1/4, which is about a quarter mile before you get to the Pacific Crest Trail crossing. Out the trail to the west of the road there were two more vireos. Several Scotts Orioles scattered, but only a couple black chinned sparrows, and several Mountain quail at the 2 and 1/4 mile spot. At Cibbet's Flat Campground, there was a late Gray-headed type Junco with a couple Oregon type Juncos and White crowneds near the bathrooms. Very few migrants.

At the bird feeders in Pine Valley, there are slightly over 100 Pine Siskins.

Paul Lehman et al., San Diego

Sent from AOL on Android

View/Reply Online (#15943): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15943

Date: 4/10/24 8:35 pm
From: Matt Sadowski <mattsadowski78...>
Subject: Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Swainson's Hawks/Turkey Vultures in Borrego Springs
https://www.hawkcount.org/month_summary.php?rsite=545

Not sure how regularly the counts are entered in eBird but they are
available above.

Matt Sadowski

View/Reply Online (#15942): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15942

Date: 4/10/24 8:19 pm
From: Aaron Jones <atj0888...>

View/Reply Online (#15941): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15941

Date: 4/8/24 7:23 pm
From: Geoff Veith via groups.io <veithlaw...>
Subject: Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Wilson's Plover refound Emory cove
At about 7:10 PM with only 4 of us remaining at Emory Cove, including Nathan French, and with the sun setting and the tide rising, the Wilson’s Plover flew west along the bay, across RT 75 and into the dunes area (Naval Property) adjacent to the ocean.

My guess is that it will overnight in the dunes.

Geoff Veith

Solana Beach

View/Reply Online (#15940): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15940

Date: 4/8/24 6:08 pm
From: <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...>
At 6:00 p.m. The Wilson's plover was refound by Nathan French et al. at Emory Cove, on the bayshore north of the biological study area parking lot. Park at Biological study area parking lot and then trot north on the bike trail a quarter mile to Emory Cove. Currently the bird is tucked in on the upper edges of the mud flat. It is currently past low tide and so the bird was foraging here and actually it was seen to catch a crab here on the upper mud flat, and then at high tide the bird may well simply cross straight over the Silver Strand and end up exactly where it was this morning out in front of the new Navy Seals facility.
Paul Lehman, San Diego

Sent from AOL on Android

View/Reply Online (#15939): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15939

Date: 4/8/24 2:49 pm
From: <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Wilson's Plover
A Wilson's Plover was photographed this morning by a Snowy plover researcher on the beach on Navy property just north of Imperial Beach, about halfway between camp surf and silver strand State Beach. Though it is Navy property, lots of people walk the beach there as long as one stays down near the tideline. Thus, do not go on the upper beach for that reason and because of nesting plover potential. A bunch of folks will try for the bird now in the later afternoon and we will post an update. But be aware that a fair number of Wilson's plovers in California have been one day wonders.
Paul Lehman, San Diego

Sent from AOL on Android

View/Reply Online (#15938): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15938

Date: 4/7/24 7:47 am
From: <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Pantoja Chestnut-sided looking good
The wintering Chestnut-sided Warbler downtown at Pantoja Park continues Sunday morning and has just about completed a full molt and now is looking pretty nice. Formerly without a shred of chestnut anywhere, it now has a bold face pattern and quite a lot of deep chestnut on the sides. Still pretty easy to find in its favorite trees in the northeast corner of the park plaza. It could depart tomorrow or stay until late April....
Paul Lehman, San Diego

Sent from AOL on Android

View/Reply Online (#15937): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15937

Date: 4/6/24 8:30 am
From: <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Inland Palm Warbler, continuing Hepatic
Saturday morning there is a breeding plumaged "Western" Palm Warbler moving all around the parking lot at San Vicente Reservoir, which is between Lakeside and Ramona. This is farther inland than normal for this species. Also not sure if it's a particularly unusual early spring migrant or a lingering wintering bird here. Also continuing Canyon Wren and Rock Wren and Rufous crowned Sparrows.

Over at El Capitan Reservoir, the pair of Bald Eagles have one or two eaglets in the nest.

First thing this morning, the continuing, returning adult male Hepatic Tanager continues on semi-private property in Tierrasanta. This is slightly later than it normally stays, which is the end of March, although I've had it stay slightly later than this one year. Perhaps it's still here because of the cool, unsettled weather as of late, but presumably it will depart this coming week when it gets warmer.

Paul Lehman, San Diego

Sent from AOL on Android

View/Reply Online (#15936): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15936

Date: 4/4/24 10:18 pm
From: Philip Unitt <unitt...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Yellow-headed Blackbirds on Otay Mesa
Dear friends,

This morning Lori Hargrove and I were surprised to find about 25 Yellow-headed Blackbirds in the pond at Siempre Viva and La Media roads on Otay Mesa. When we arrived around 7 AM, both males and females were in one of the stands of bulrush and the males were singing as if a nesting colony were forming. After a few minutes the birds flew off to the northwest to feed in the wet field on the west side of La Media Road. Around 60 Red-winged Blackbirds were in the area but we saw no Tricolored, unfortunately. One Burrowing Owl was atop a mound of dirt with a burrow along the trail continuing as an extension of Siempre Viva west of La Media Road--exact same spot where I saw one 24 years ago on 15 April 2000.

La Media Road is currently under construction so the only access to the site is from the east along Siempre Viva Road. And as a result the heavy truck traffic is turning at this corner, so if you visit the site, be extra cautious. But it is definitely worth following up to track the activity of the Yellow-headed Blackbirds and, may we hope, the outcome of a successful nesting colony.

Good birding,

Philip Unitt
San Diego

View/Reply Online (#15935): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15935

Date: 4/4/24 7:51 pm
From: Paul Chad via groups.io <paulchad4...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] local G-W Gull, B&W Warbler
This afternoon, a first-winter beginning-to-molt Glaucous-winged Gull is still present at Mission Bay Park near end of Clairmont Drive.

Yesterday, a 10:00 to 2:00 visit to TRV with stop at J-St Marina produced the usual great variety of birds, but migrants seemed scarce. A (nice male) Black-and White Warbler is still present at the Bird & Butterfly Garden.

FYI, Good Birding,

Paul Chad
University City

View/Reply Online (#15934): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15934

Date: 4/4/24 3:32 pm
From: Nathan French <nathanfrenchphotography...>
Subject: Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Possible Gila Woodpecker at Abert’s Towhee Spot
Yesterday, Paul L and Matt S suggested a churring Phainopepla as a more likely culprit, and I was unaware churring was a thing they did. Today Andrew N and I went out to the towhee spot (still at least 2 present) and confirmed that it was indeed a Phainopepla churring. Sorry for any confusion or false hopes for a county Gila!

Nathan French
Hillcrest

View/Reply Online (#15933): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15933

Date: 4/4/24 2:31 pm
From: Stan Walens <stan.walens...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Carpool to Abert's towhee this weekend?
All,
I am going to go out for the Abert's towhee either Saturday or Sunday this weekend.
Looking either to go with someone who has room in their cr, or I can drive and take up to 3 other people.

Contact my off-list of you are interested.

Stan Walens, San Diego
April 4, 2023; 12:40 pm

View/Reply Online (#15932): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15932

Date: 4/3/24 9:05 pm
From: Hal Cohen <raptorhal3...>
Today, Wednesday April 3, 145 Swainson's Hawks migrated north. This evening
around 75 Swainson's Hawks were observed coming in to perch on Tamarisk
Trees along Borrego Valley Rd near Henderson Canyon Rd. Tomorrow with some
wind, they may drop into fields east of Borrego Valley Rd and south of
Henderson Canyon Rd (the potato fields) to eat grasshoppers. Or they may
migrate early. Food available in the valley (grasshoppers, caterpillars,
flying ants and craneflies} may attract more Swainson's Hawks over the next
few weeks.
Hal Cohen
Borrego Springs

View/Reply Online (#15931): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15931

Date: 4/3/24 10:10 am
From: <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Mount Soledad morning flight (general info)
It's that time of year again to dust off your in-flight migrant landbird skills and contemplate an early-morning visit to Mount Soledad in La Jolla for a couple hours. Paul M. and I were there this morning, April 3, and below are our totals for a "light but noticeable flight" morning that is still early in the season. The peak period for volume and variety is typically from mid-April through mid-May. And the flights can start as early as first light and last usually about 90 minutes to two hours--but the typical peak period starts about a half hour after it first gets light. On days with a low to medium-volume flight, it can be over by 8AM or soon thereafter, continuing in smaller but steady numbers as late as 9AM or slightly later on the better days. A reminder that the needed weather conditions for a reasonable flight are overnight and early morning mostly clear or partly cloudy skies, with calm or, much better yet, some sort of easterly flow (E to NE are best; SE and N can work as well), and perhaps having warmish overnight and early morning temps also helps.

We usually view from along the road in the park, between the entrance and the summit circle, and if the gate is still locked when you arrive you can park just outside and walk in.

For those who rarely or never have tried it, one does need to get a bit of practice at IDing many of these birds in flight, BUT I'd say that a good percent of even the first-timers I've seen there have said that they noted that they really picked up on some of the visual clues rather quickly and felt much more comfortable with a bunch of the species even by later that same morning. And many photographers enjoy the challenge and actually do get a reasonable number of fairly good flight shots.

If I think that the weather forecast looks particularly encouraging for a very good flight, I'll post news the day before. To determine if there is overnight and/or pre-dawn easterly flow, I check the NOAA website and look at the current weather very early in the morning at a few sites which actually give wind speed and direction--which unfortunately seems to be fewer and fewer sites every year! Currently, at least the Mount Soledad and San Diego Airport weather station sites give such wind information. The weather at Soledad can be extra fickle, because the summit area can suffer from coastal fog and low clouds on some mornings when it is clear just a mile or two farther inland. And fog is no good for a flight.

In addition to witnessing lots of regular-occurring passerines performing active migration, this site gets the occasional rarity and is also relatively "good" (at the appropriate dates) for seeing some of the scarcer, uncommon coastal spring migrants such as Olive-sided, Hammond's, and Gray Flycatchers, Cassin's Vireo, Purple Martin, Swainson's Thrush, and MacGillivray's Warbler--and of course it is also arguably the most reliable site in the county during mid-to-late May for Black Swift under the appropriate weather (partly or mostly overcast, cool, head-winds, late-season front, etc.).

Today's totals, 3 April (6:30-8:45 AM):
Western Kingbird  17
Western Flycatcher  1
Cassin's Vireo  1
N. R-w Swallow  4
Cliff Swallow  1
Ruby-cr. Kinglet  1

Red-breasted Nuthatch  1
Hermit Thrush  1
Chipping Sparrow  6
Golden-crowned Sparrow  4
Orange-cr. Warbler  14
Nashville Warbler  2
Yellow-rumped Warbler  15
Black-thr. Gray Warbler  13
Townsend's Warbler  3
Wilson's Warbler  3

--Paul Lehman, San Diego

View/Reply Online (#15930): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15930

Date: 4/3/24 8:36 am
From: Nathan French <nathanfrenchphotography...>

View/Reply Online (#15929): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15929

Date: 4/2/24 3:25 pm
From: <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] a few continuing things, and a bit of Abert's Towhee history
Today, the wintering, returning UTC Northern Parula and near Montgomery Field American Redstart both continue. Last year they both remained until about mid-April. In the Tijuana River channel near the sod farm, the immature Laughing and Short-billed Gulls and a couple Lesser Yellowlegs all continue with the many Californias and Ring-billeds and a flock of ibis, as well as up to 20 Bonaparte's Gulls. That place and the adjoining "Lake Sod" on the sod farm look like they should be sucking in some really good rarity any day now--although if we are done with the moderate/heavy rain for the season then they will start drying up fairly quickly.

With the discovery of the Abert's Towhees just barely inside extreme ne. San Diego County a few days ago by Ford-Hutchinson and Stratton, and which continue through today, I thought perhaps a little "towhee history" at that site is in order. The species is a regular, fairly numerous resident in lusher vegetation associated with agriculture (including date palm groves) literally just a few hundred yards away in both Riverside and Imperial Counties. But the habitat abruptly changes to sparser desert right near and at the county line. Beginning back in the 1980s or early 1990s, Guy McCaskie started checking that road (which formerly had no gate and so one could drive to the end where the birds currently are) for Abert's, knowing they occurred as a resident so so close by. He says that over the years he checked perhaps several times. How many other folks looked for them in that area in addition to Guy back before 2010 or so, I don't know. Fast forward to the the past several years, and several other folks have looked, one such search by a Grigory Heaton last December turned up a rare-in-winter Black-chinned Sparrow somewhere nearby in this Travertine Palms Wash area. Currently, there appear to be multiple birds/pairs along the dirt road from the gate out to the San Diego County birds--a distance of about 1/3-1/2 mile, so it's not just one pair who have ventured out beyond the palm groves and other agriculture. Whether this has been going on for a while now, or is something very fresh and might possibly be associated with slightly-lusher-than-normal desert conditions currently, is anyone's guess. When things dry out over the next many months, we can see if all the bird stay there or if they retreat back eastwards.

--Paul Lehman, San Diego

View/Reply Online (#15928): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15928

Date: 4/2/24 1:46 pm
From: Michael Beeve <pileatedwoodpecker...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Scott's Oriole, Gray Vireo, Pine Siskin, others - Kitchen Creek Road
Sonja and I birded Kitchen Creek road between 7 and 11 today.  We had Gray Vireo, Black-chinned and Rufous-crowned Sparrows on the East fork of the Pacific Crest Trail, about 2.5 miles down the road, Scott's Oriole and several Pine Siskins just before the 3 mile mark. Thanks,
Michael Beeve Vista, CA 92081 <pileatedwoodpecker...>

View/Reply Online (#15927): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15927

Date: 4/1/24 2:13 pm
From: Eve Martin <yvemartin...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Abert's Towhees Continue
At least three Abert's Towhees continue in the same location in the desert just west of the Salton Sea, moving about on both sides of the road at the western dead end of 86th Avenue.

~Eve
~~~~~~~~~~~
Eve Martin
Del Mar, California

View/Reply Online (#15926): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15926

Date: 3/31/24 2:15 pm
From: Justyn Stahl <justyn.stahl...>
Subject: Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] eBirding near the political boundaries
Good question, and please read the information at the link provided. But in
short, yes you can have two overlapping checklists, and as you can't run
two tracks simultaneously on the app, having someone responsible for each
county is probably easiest.

For the second question "But I am not sure why one list cannot be complete,
and one incomplete," in my opinion it can be, as long as care is taken and
you aren't purposely omitting species from the complete list.

From the bird's perspective, and from a detectability perspective (odds of
seeing a bird at a specific location and time), the boundaries don't
matter, and a single complete list is most appropriate. However, because of
county listing, it's necessary to modify behavior to accommodate human
interests. For the current situation, if all of the birds (species) were
ultimately seen in San Diego County, *and *your list is plotted in San
Diego, then a single *complete* list is sufficient. You can, optionally,
create a second *incomplete* list, for Riverside County, of just those
species seen north of the county line.

If you saw or heard birds only in Riverside, but don't want them on your
San Diego county list (here the towhee, and perhaps the quail are most
relevant), then you'd need an *incomplete* checklist for San Diego (of say,
sparrows, warblers, and mockingbird), and, if you wanted, an *incomplete*
list plotted in Riverside to record the species not in San Diego (perhaps
quail and towhee). Both of these would be incomplete, because you're
purposefully excluding species from both checklists.

At least one observer mentioned listing only a partial count of quail in
San Diego, with more in Riverside, but as this doesn't impact the # of
*specie**s* I would just report the true number of individuals regardless
of county, on a complete checklist. Again, because birds were omitted, this
approach would best be treated as an incomplete list otherwise.

Justyn

View/Reply Online (#15925): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15925

Date: 3/31/24 1:46 pm
From: Nancy Christensen <nancy.r.christensen...>
Justyn, does that mean two checklists can overlap each other in a single time frame? If I was doing that - I would have one person keep one list, a second person keep the other list. But I am not sure why one list cannot be complete, and one incomplete.

Thanks for the info!

View/Reply Online (#15924): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15924

Date: 3/31/24 1:40 pm
From: Justyn Stahl <justyn.stahl...>

View/Reply Online (#15923): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15923

Date: 3/30/24 9:38 am
From: thomasf_h <thomas.fordhut...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Abert's Towhees in Travertine Palms Wash aka "the far corner"
A few years ago while waiting for seabirds on a pelagic at "the corner"
Matt Sadowski and Gary Nunn were discussing the probability that Abert's
Towhees would cross into San Diego County given their immediate adjacency
in Imperial and Riverside counties at the far corner of the county. I then
figured that the birds would likely disperse into the county to forage if
there was a sufficiently strong wildflower bloom. I filed this information
away and I figured I would try for them myself at a later date. Well, that
time came yesterday when Mark Stratton and I found a family of Abert's
Towhees right along the corner of the county at this exact location. This
included a singing male, a mate, and a juvenile plumaged bird. The birds
were actively foraging (primarily inside San Diego County) and would
constantly stay in contact via a loud chink call.

Location within Anza Borrego State Park:
33.4260015, -116.0860719
https://ebird.org/checklist/S166429546

Directions from the Anza-Borrego Desert Natural History Association
website :
Getting to Travertine Palms Wash. From Borrego Springs, drive east on
County Road S-22 to Highway 86 in Salton City and turn north. Make a left
turn at Avenue 86 at the Riverside County line, just past Travertine Rock.
Avenue 86 is an unpaved dirt road. After about a quarter of a mile, there
is a gate which can be locked. Be sure to park outside.

This area is also the best place in the county to find Gambel's Quail,
since you are 1) outside of the hybrid zone within Borrego Springs and 2)
the Quail are currently quite abundant in this general area.

If you make the long drive out there be sure to check out the wildflowers
in Borrego Springs on your return trip. There are currently good blooms at
Henderson Canyon Road Wildflower Area, the Anza-Borrego Wildflower spring
blooming fields, Coyote Canyon Wildflower Viewing Area, and likely at
Glorietta Canyon. Lots of butterflies at Plum Canyon too. Spring migrants
are also starting to filter through Tamarisk Grove Campground, Scissor's
Crossing, and Shelter Valley.

All the best,
Tom Ford-Hutchinson
San Diego, CA

View/Reply Online (#15922): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15922

Date: 3/30/24 9:28 am
From: Stan Walens <stan.walens...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Trip #423: juvenile red-footed booby
Have done another half-dozen trips on the Hornblower this past month.
There have been no seabirds offshore; on each trip we made it out to the 9-Mile Bank, but even there all we saw were pelicans and gulls, and a surprising number of elegant terns.
On 3 trips, I had not a single seabird [alcid, booby, tubenose, jaeger etc.]: a total of 68 miles of transit.

Yesterday I was fortuitously joined by Lesley Handa.
She saw a single black-vented shearwater about 4 miles offshore. I missed it.
Then we headed to the Bank where we came upon 2 gray whales.
As we idled along with the whales, a juvenile red-footed booby came up to the boat and flew just 10 feet over our heads.
One of the tourists near us was able to snap a cellphone photo of it as it flew away; identifiable as to species.

Total distance traveled 21 miles: 2 seabirds. The 1 seabird per 10 miles distance is pretty much the average right now.

Stan Walens, San Diego
March 30, 2024; 8:20 am

View/Reply Online (#15921): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15921

Date: 3/30/24 8:03 am
From: Justyn Stahl <justyn.stahl...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Abert’s Towhees continue 30 March
At about 745am the trio found by Tom F-H was still in the general vicinity
of
33.4246779, -116.0883206 (~450 ft. inside SD Co.), but mostly associated
with the pump house to the north.

See Tom’s notes here for details:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S166429546

Wind starting to pick up now.

Justyn Stahl, Nicole Desnoyers, Gary Nunn, Matt Sadowski, Dan and Evan Jehl

View/Reply Online (#15920): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15920

Date: 3/29/24 9:30 am
From: <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] continuing Grace's & Baltimore
Friday morning, the wintering Grace's Warbler in Las Palmas Park in National City continues and was singing almost constantly, suggesting it will depart very soon. The male Baltimore Oriole continues in Rohr Park in Bonita, and today it was in a pink flowered eucalyptus along the edge of the golf course rather than in its beloved bottle brush trees at the basketball courts. The bottlebrush did have a male Rufous Hummingbird, which is finally the first one I've seen this spring.
Yesterday, a female-type Yellow-headed Blackbird that has been present sporadically all winter continued at the horse and goat paddocks along Sunset Road in the TRV.
Paul Lehman, San Diego

Sent from AOL on Android

View/Reply Online (#15919): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15919

Date: 3/28/24 4:05 pm
From: Alison Hiers via groups.io <lahiers...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Carmel Valley Recreation Center on Townsgate
I'm not sure if anyone has shouted this out before but we were surprised to find this morning that the upper field at the Carmel Valley Rec Center is fenced off and the field is completely torn up. You can bird everything else below, and we were able to scooch around the outside of the fencing and do some birding up top along the edges. Sadly they are replacing all that grass with astroturf. It will not be the hot spot for grass loving birds, and likely birds in general, that it has been. Evidently this project will not be complete until 2025. We did see a Plumbeous Vireo around the edges of the amphitheater (both sides west and east) and Lisa Ruby got photos.

Alison Hiers
Carlsbad

View/Reply Online (#15918): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15918

Date: 3/28/24 9:34 am
From: <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] some continuing TRV birds
On Thursday morning, the long-MIA Laughing Gull was back in the Tijuana River channel and sod farm flooded area, along with one continuing first-cycle Short billed Gull, and about 9 Bonaparte's. The flooded area on the sod has about 350 Shovelers. Although known to have arrived during the past week at other sites in the TRV where expected, a Bells Vireo in the tipu trees at the outlet mall parking lot seemed somewhat out of place. And at the Community Gardens, and also not reported in quite a long time, the wintering Gray Flycatcher continues along the north edge.

Paul Lehman, San Diego

Sent from AOL on Android

View/Reply Online (#15917): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15917

Date: 3/27/24 5:31 am
From: terry hurst via groups.io <thurstycat61...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Gray Flycatcher, Big Rock Park and Trails Santee 03/26/2024
Good morning all,

I was waiting for confirmation on Carolyn’s great photos yesterday she took of the Flycatcher I spotted near the ranger’s house at these coordinates: 32.826314,-117.017066. It was clearly visible on a small dead bush but took off west to the hills. I was still able to hear it. I had to leave but Carolyn was able to find the bird again and photograph after I left at the gate which is on the road the goes up to the rangers house near the creek.

Terry Hurst
Santee

View/Reply Online (#15916): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15916

Date: 3/26/24 7:48 pm
From: Hal Cohen <raptorhal3...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Swainson's Hawks This Evening in Borrego Springs
This evening between 6 and 7pm, around 400 hawks arrived above Henderson
Canyon and Borrego Valley Rd. Tomorrow with very light wind, the hawks will
either feed on the ground (caterpillars and grasshoppers) or feed in the
air on Flying Ants and Crane Flies. Flight time-between 7:30 and 8:30am.
They may not leave the valley until after 9am. Best viewing is probably
near the flower fields on Henderson Canyon Rd east of Borrego Valley Rd. Or
you can check in at the day count site on DiGiorgio Rd just south of
Henderson Rd for directions to the hawks.
Hal Cohen
Borrego Springs

View/Reply Online (#15915): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15915

Date: 3/25/24 11:51 am
From: Justyn Stahl <justyn.stahl...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Ridgway's Rail Survey - 26 March - volunteers needed
Forwarding the invitation below to help with a ~2 hour survey of the San
Diego River for Ridgway's Rails tomorrow evening. A handful of folks are
needed, especially those familiar with rail vocalizations.

Reach out to Karina (<ornelas...>) for details.

Thanks!
Justyn Stahl
North Park
------------------------------

Hi all,

Ridgway's Rail nesting season is upon us and Richard Zembal has scheduled a
date for a population survey at the *San Diego River Mouth, March 26 at
5:00 PM.* We'd like to help Richard organize an amazing group to help with
his annual efforts at this location to ensure we get the best data
possible.

And apologies for the short notice, these surveys are very weather
dependent and are difficult to schedule out in advance. RSVP with me if you
can make it! More details to follow.

*Also if you have a bike and feel like doing the survey on bike please
bring it over. He needs about 12 people on bikes too.

Thank you,
--
Karina Ornelas, she/her/ella
Conservation Outreach Coordinator

4010 Morena Blvd., St. 100, San Diego, CA 92117

Website <https://www.sandiegoaudubon.org/> Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/sdaudubon/> Instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/sandiegoaudubon/> ReWild Mission Bay
<https://rewildmissionbay.org/>

*Be the hope for birds, wildlife, and their habitats. Become a Member
<https://www.sandiegoaudubon.org/joinourflock/become-a-member.html> today!
Remember to stay connected by signing up for our eNews mailing list
<https://www.sandiegoaudubon.org/news-events/mailing-list.html> and seeing
the latest happenings in our Newsroom
<https://www.sandiegoaudubon.org/news-events/newsroom/>.*

View/Reply Online (#15914): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15914

Date: 3/25/24 11:05 am
From: Denise Riddle <driddle1855...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] FOS Bell’s Vireo (Least) San Luis Rey River, Oceanside

Back to top
Date: 3/24/24 11:42 am
From: <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] La Jolla Seawatch Ancient Murrelet
A full-morning seawatch by a moderate-sized crew in the appreciable onshore winds on Sunday was largely very disappointing, with not a single tubenose or jaeger seen. We finally managed our first alcid at mid-moring when a Common Murre flew by very close to shore. And then at 10:30 an Ancient Murrelet plopped into the water close to shore and swam around for a while before we lost it. Photos. This is only the second Ancient seen this March, and with only one found during February, following the notable incursion during December and the first half of January.

--Paul Lehman et al., San Diego

View/Reply Online (#15912): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15912

Date: 3/24/24 10:01 am
From: King, Dan <kingdaking519...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Black-legged Kittiwake (now gone?) - PQ Lagoon
Adult bird roosting inside Penasquitos Creek inlet at Torrey Pines Beach starting at 9:35. Flushed by Osprey at 9:50 and flew out towards ocean.  Have not seen it return.

-Dan King

View/Reply Online (#15911): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15911

Date: 3/23/24 10:54 am
From: Justyn Stahl <justyn.stahl...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Thick-billed Kingbird, Inca Dove, LT Duck
Around 1020am the kingbird was at
32.5460122, -117.0777385
On Monument Road closer to the ranger station than Hollister. North side of
road.

The Inca Dove is back at 1050am in the Community Gardens at
32.5563356, -117.0856732

The Long-tailed Duck is still in Salt Works visible from the bike path
32.5929455, -117.0990279

Justyn Stahl, Nicole Desnoyers, Matt Sadowski

View/Reply Online (#15910): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15910

Date: 3/22/24 1:08 pm
From: steve brad <stevanbrad...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] north county shore bird spot
an fyi  I stopped by the vernal ponds north side of of the old polo field current soccer field....where the stilt sandpiper was along with a couple solitary sa. and pectoral sa.
today there were 23 dowitcher sps. which was flagged as rare.   Locals may want to check these ponds for something at least as good if not better   as its easy to get to and good viewing
This weekend many not be good???? as there may be soccer events???

steve brad

Leocadia
mammoth lakes

View/Reply Online (#15909): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15909

Date: 3/22/24 10:45 am
From: <lehman.paul...> via groups.io <lehman.paul...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] a few continuing rarities, new Neotropic, B&B tamarisk trees
On Weds the 20th., a new, immature male White-winged Scoter was near the mouth of San Diego Bay, between the bait docks and the Navy fueling pier, in with a slug of Surf Scoters. Probably visible only by boat, or perhaps with a good scope from up on the edge of Fort Rosecrans Cemetery. On Thursday the 21st, the wintering Northern Parula continued in UTC and the wintering Blackburnian Warbler continued at Torrey Hills. On Friday the 22nd, a new Neotropic Cormorant was perched in the large willow trees at the top end of Sweetwater Reservoir at dawn with ca. 100 Double-cresteds. Whether or not there is any back-and-forth of NECOs between here and Lake Murray is uncertain. Also an adult and immature continuing Bald Eagle. At Pond 20 at the Salt Works, the Long-tailed Duck continues, along with a couple lingering Common Goldeneyes and a Lesser Yellowlegs.

At the Bird & Butterfly Garden, the county parks staff are spending their time and money totally removing the tamarisk trees along the left side of the parking lot--trees that for many decades often have had plenty of bird use. Too bad they can't spend their efforts actually PLANTING trees.

--Paul Lehman, San Diego

View/Reply Online (#15908): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15908

Date: 3/21/24 8:38 pm
From: Hal Cohen <raptorhal3...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Swainson's Hawks in Borrego Springs
Today, Thursday March 21, 463 Swainson's Hawks and 22 Vultures migrated
from Borrego Springs. The hawks fed on Flying Ants before departing the
valley. This evening over 100 Swainson's Hawks dropped into the vicinity of
the Date Farm on Borrego Valley Rd. Tomorrow the wind will be light and the
hawks will probably fly east to Mesquite Dunes, before kettling up to feed
on Flying Ants. Best viewing early (6:30am) from the evening watch site on
Borrego Valley Rd, 1.8 miles north of Palm Canyon Drive. Usually after
roosting in dunes to the east and the Date Farm, the hawks will become
active and begin aerial feeding on Flying Ants. Grasshoppers and
caterpillars are now increasing in numbers. The hawks will soon begin
feeding on the ground. After 8am it is possible that the hawks will begin
migrating and aerial feeding along the flank of the northern mountain
range. If so, the best viewing will be from the Henderson Flower Fields.
From Borrego Valley Road drive north to Henderson Canyon and east to the
Flower Fields. The hawks will depart the valley by 9:30am
Hal Cohen
Borrego Springs

View/Reply Online (#15907): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15907

Date: 3/20/24 8:19 pm
From: Hal Cohen <raptorhal3...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Swainson's Hawks in Borrego Spring-Over 500
Between 6 and 7pm we watched as hundreds of Swainson's Hawk meandered about
very high. Before 7pm at least 600 descended into the Date Farm. Perhaps
another 100 are near the potato fields. Tomorrow with a light wind, the
hawks may not leave town until after 8:30am. They may go to the dunes area
immediately east of the Date Farm before going east to pick up flying ants.
I will be stationed at the dunes to the east of the Date Farm by 7:30am. By
8am if the hawks are moving out to feed, I may go to the potato fields off
of Henderson Rd. Grasshoppers as well as flying ants are food items that
the hawks will follow. This morning we counted over 250 hawks, mainly
feeding on flying ants before migrating north.

Best viewing tomorrow:
1. 1.8 miles north of Palm Canyon Dr. on Borrego Valley Rd. The hawks in
the Date Farm will probably leave early with some flying to dunes to the
east, some going to feed on flying ants at the potato fields and some
remaining in the Date Farm. I'll be at the Date Farm until 8am and then may
depart for the potato fields.
2. From the official count site on DiGiorgio Rd, 2.8 miles north of Palm
Canyon Drive. The leader at this site can direct you to where hawks are
feeding.
Hal Cohen
Borrego Springs

View/Reply Online (#15906): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/15906

Date: 3/20/24 1:41 pm
From: Hal Cohen <raptorhal3...>
Today, Wednesday March 20, we counted 254 Swainson's Hawks migrating north.
Most of the hawks were observed feeding on flying ants on the ground and in
the air. Also many hawks were feeding on grasshoppers. Caterpillars are now
increasing, especially in flower fields near Henderson Canyon Rd The food
available will be enormous soon. The number of hawks entering the valley
will probably increase in the coming weeks. We did not send out an ALERT to
folks yesterday evening, because we couldn't locate the hawks until this
morning. To be on the ALERT system, contact me. An ALERT is sent when we
observe over 100 hawks in the evening.
Hal Cohen
Borrego Springs
<Raptorhal3...>