SanDiegoRegionBirding
Received From Subject
8/20/19 10:36 am Stan Walens <stan.walens...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] La Jolla Cove, Aug 20, 2019: storm-petrels
8/19/19 5:24 pm Larry Edwards <larry...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Laguna Mtns.--Agua Dulce Creek
8/19/19 1:15 pm Andrew Culshaw via Groups.Io <andrewculshaw=<yahoo.co.uk...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] RFI Ridgway’s Rail
8/18/19 8:30 pm David Povey <poveydw747...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Sunday Aug. 18, 2019 Buena Vista Audubon pelagic
8/18/19 2:04 pm Stan Walens <stan.walens...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] La Jolla Cove August 18, 2019: 2 black terns
8/18/19 10:25 am Sara Baase Mayers <sarabirdingg...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Swinhoe's (Japanese) White-eyes in Pt Loma
8/17/19 4:56 pm Justyn Stahl <justyn.stahl...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Lesser Yellowlegs, Reddish Egret, N. Red Bishop
8/17/19 1:03 pm Stan Walens <stan.walens...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Hornblower Aug 16 & La Jolla Cove, Aug 17: Black-vented shearwaters and a Franklin's gull
8/15/19 9:40 am David Povey <poveydw747...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Sunday Aug. 18, 2019 Buena Vista Audubon and Grande pelagic
8/14/19 8:04 pm Terence Brashear via Groups.Io <birdnird=<yahoo.com...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Migrant Wilson's Warbler in Vista
8/12/19 3:10 pm Nancy Christensen <nancy.r.christensen...> Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Laguna - fall arrivals
8/12/19 2:07 pm Stan Walens <stan.walens...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Off-topic: ordering Steve Howell's new Oceanic Birds of the World at a discount
8/12/19 1:17 pm Nancy Christensen <nancy.r.christensen...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Laguna - fall arrivals
8/12/19 11:25 am <lehman.paul...> via Groups.Io <lehman.paul=<verizon.net...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Miscellanea
8/11/19 12:50 pm Barbara via Groups.Io <barbarac2003=<yahoo.com...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] REMINDER: Tuesday, 13 August, SDFO meeting - - one week early this month!
8/11/19 10:49 am Paula Theobald via Groups.Io <paulatheo=<icloud.com...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Yellow-crowned Night Herons at Batiquitos Lagoon
8/10/19 7:00 am <lehman.paul...> via Groups.Io <lehman.paul=<verizon.net...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] La Jolla road access and current Birds
8/10/19 6:16 am Justyn Stahl <justyn.stahl...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] La Jolla road closure
8/9/19 2:20 pm <lehman.paul...> via Groups.Io <lehman.paul=<verizon.net...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] White-eye ID, and some other bird news
8/9/19 11:36 am Justyn Stahl <justyn.stahl...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] [LACoBirds] White-eye confusion
8/7/19 10:46 pm Stan Walens <stan.walens...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] La Jolla Cove, 8/7/19: 4 species of storm-petrel
8/7/19 7:38 pm Jimmy McMorran <Bigshell53...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Encinitas White-winged Dove (8/7/19)
8/7/19 2:09 pm Robert Patton <rpatton...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] next san elijo monthly bird count monday 12 august 2019
8/6/19 9:57 am <lehman.paul...> via Groups.Io <lehman.paul=<verizon.net...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] buntings, murre, & miscellanea
8/5/19 5:58 am Guy McCaskie <guymcc...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] North American Birds - Summer Season 2019
8/3/19 5:52 pm Tito Gonzalez <txsandpiper...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Continuing Yellow-crowned Night Heron at Batiquitos 3AUG2019
8/2/19 8:58 pm Jimmy McMorran <Bigshell53...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Baird's Sandpiper (8/2/19)
8/2/19 8:52 am <lehman.paul...> via Groups.Io <lehman.paul=<verizon.net...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Little Stint at saltworks
8/1/19 12:35 pm Elizabeth Copper <ecopper...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Pacific Golden-plover Tijuana River mouth
8/1/19 7:34 am <lehman.paul...> via Groups.Io <lehman.paul=<verizon.net...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Nazca Booby again at La Jolla on Thursday
8/1/19 6:11 am Stan Walens <stan.walens...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] La Jolla Cove, July 31: No Laysan in the afternoon
7/31/19 3:08 pm Susan Smith via Groups.Io <seiurus=<aol.com...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Sea Watch La Jolla and Del Mar (Penasquitos Lagoon mouth) July 31, 2019
7/31/19 1:28 pm Nancy Christensen <nancy.r.christensen...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Laysan Albatross
7/31/19 6:00 am Mary Cairns <phoebepoint73...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] <SanDiegoRegionBirding-noreply...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Pleasant surprise this afternoon: Dark-Eyed Junco in Point Loma
7/30/19 7:30 pm Joni Ciarletta <jcjc9999...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Wildlife Center in Carlsbad Closed
7/30/19 10:52 am Stan Walens <stan.walens...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] La Jolla Cove, July 30: 2 boobies, 0 bathrooms
7/29/19 10:33 am Stan Walens <stan.walens...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] La Jolla Cove, July 29, 2019—ho-hum
7/29/19 8:53 am John Bruin <johnrbruin...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Wilson’s Phalarope instead of lesser yellowlegs
7/29/19 8:09 am John Bruin <johnrbruin...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Lesser yellowlegs-Robb field
7/28/19 9:51 am James Pawlicki <jmpawli10...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Northern Parula, Balboa Park (west side) 7/28
7/28/19 7:18 am <lehman.paul...> via Groups.Io <lehman.paul=<verizon.net...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Nazca Booby off La Jolla
7/27/19 5:52 pm Andrew N <dingomaster...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Possible Semipalmated Sandpiper at Mudflats
7/27/19 11:01 am Tom Blackman <obeach...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Yellow-crowned Night Herons
7/27/19 7:56 am dan jehl <jehlyfish...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Masked Booby at La Jolla 07272109
7/26/19 10:06 pm Jayne Lesley <jaynelesley...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] San Dieguito Monthly Bird Survey - Next Sunday, August 4th!
7/26/19 8:32 pm Gary Nunn <garybnunn...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Lake Henshaw – breeding Spotted Sandpiper, SW Willow Fly July 26, 2019
7/26/19 7:59 pm David Povey <poveydw747...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Sabine's Gulls, Common Murre, and others
7/26/19 11:44 am <lehman.paul...> via Groups.Io <lehman.paul=<verizon.net...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Semipalmated Sandpiper
7/25/19 12:21 pm Nancy Christensen <nancy.r.christensen...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Scott's Orioles again
7/25/19 12:00 pm stevan brad via Groups.Io <stevanbrad=<yahoo.com...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] yellow crowned nght heron batiquitos lagoon july 25 730 am
7/23/19 1:18 pm <lehman.paul...> via Groups.Io <lehman.paul=<verizon.net...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Common Murres, early juv R-n Phal, misc. waterbirds
7/22/19 7:17 pm Stan Walens <stan.walens...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Hornblower trip, July 22
7/22/19 11:48 am Nancy Christensen <nancy.r.christensen...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Scott’s Orioles
7/21/19 6:39 pm Greg Gillson <greggillson...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Offshore San Diego
7/21/19 12:31 pm <lehman.paul...> via Groups.Io <lehman.paul=<verizon.net...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] continuing Indigo, phalaropes, Reddish

Back to top
Date: 8/20/19 10:36 am
From: Stan Walens <stan.walens...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] La Jolla Cove, Aug 20, 2019: storm-petrels
After days without any storm-petrels in the Cove, today I watched as a dozen or so Ashy Storm-petrels flew in from the south.
They were working the near patch of smooth water directly north from my bench [so in line with the 2-mile buoy off of Del Mar].
A very few Black Storm-petrels were much further out in the canyon.
I got a brief glimpse of a smaller storm-petrel, possibly a Least, but not seen well enough to identify for sure.

I also wanted to note that, if the Masked Booby reported on a whale-watching trip turns out to be that species, in a 24-hour period on August 17–18, all 5 species of booby were seen in San Diego County.

Stan Walens, San Diego
August 20, 2019; 9:45 am
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9836): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9836
-=-=-
---
Please join us at the monthly meetings of San Diego Field Ornithologists (SDFO) at 6pm on the third Tuesday of every month in the Hoffman Room of The San Diego Foundation, 2508 Historic Decatur Rd., San Diego, CA 92106. Guests welcome, but membership encouraged for only $25 a year.
---
-=-=-
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 8/19/19 5:24 pm
From: Larry Edwards <larry...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Laguna Mtns.--Agua Dulce Creek
I saw two immature MacGillivray's Warblers this morning, previously reported by Nancy Christianson; uncooperative in terms of photos, being low in the bushes along the creek and in deep shade. Also a couple of immature Western Wood-Pewees. The creek is still running, but quite low.

Pleasant early morning -- about 60 degrees when I arrived at 7 a.m. -- but got quite warm by 10.

Anyone going to the area, be advised -- after 7 a.m. construction crews have sections of Sunrise Hwy down to one lane between the freeway exit and the village, so expect delays; weekends probably not affected.
--
Larry Edwards
San Diego, CA

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9835): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9835
-=-=-
---<br />Please join us at the monthly meetings of San Diego Field Ornithologists (SDFO) at 6pm on the third Tuesday of every month in the Hoffman Room of The San Diego Foundation, 2508 Historic Decatur Rd., San Diego, CA 92106. Guests welcome, but membership encouraged for only $25 a year. <br />---
-=-=-
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Back to top
Date: 8/19/19 1:15 pm
From: Andrew Culshaw via Groups.Io <andrewculshaw=<yahoo.co.uk...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] RFI Ridgway’s Rail
Hi Everyone
I’ll be in San Diego next week with 3 days free for birding. I’ve got a couple of whale trips lined up but would like to try to see Ridgway’s Rail. Ebird suggests Tijuana Slough NWR is a place to see this and the general birding also seems good there. Looks like the trails around the visitor centre are favoured, but can anyone please recommend a particular area or any tips for connecting with the rail? Replies off list if you prefer.
Good birding,Andrew Culshaw,Norfolk, UK

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9834): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9834
-=-=-

Date: 8/18/19 8:30 pm
From: David Povey <poveydw747...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Sunday Aug. 18, 2019 Buena Vista Audubon pelagic
We had a good day offshore with some surprises, and an unplanned adventure.
First off a *Red-footed Booby* came into the boat twice for as close a look
as anyone could hope. This bird about 22 n.miles west of the tip of Point
Loma.
Next was an adult *Nazca Booby* again came into the boat at about 26
n.miles from the Point. This bird right on the Mexican border and could be
counted in both countries if one wished.
Last was a photographed *Townsend's Storm-Petrel.*
Other birds seen were Pink-footed, Sooty and Black-vented Shearwaters,
Black, Ashy, Leach's *chapmani,* Storm-Petrels. Red and Red-necked
Phalaropes, Parasitic Jaeger, Craveri's Murrelets, Cassin's Auklet,
Sabine's Gulls, Common, Least, Elegant, Royal and Caspian Terns.
Also seen Elephant seal, California Sea Lion, Common and inshore
Bottle-nosed Dolphin.
and last a Mako Shark.
Then the adventure. As we turned to move up the Thirty Mile Bank the
starboard propeller shaft snapped, the prop slipped back into the rudder
and we were dead in the water !! Now only able to turn circles on one
engine.
This required a crew member to go over the side and to tie off the prop
shaft to pull the prop and shaft off the rudder. The first try broke the
rope! The second try with a number of crew, passengers and leaders pulling
succeeded. We now had steering back but running on one engine. We worked
and birded our way back to San Diego Bay.
Tough pill to take as the Thirty Mile Bank seemed to have a fair amount of
life and further exploration certainly would have been ideal. Still nice
to know skill and knowledge of the crew got us home safely. Sad that we cut
the trip some what short and that owner / Captain James will lose some of
his prime fishing season to put the boat in the yard for repairs.
We will be back and ready to go for the next trip Sept. 22nd
Dave Povey
Dulzura

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9833): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9833
-=-=-

Date: 8/18/19 2:04 pm
From: Stan Walens <stan.walens...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] La Jolla Cove August 18, 2019: 2 black terns
Went to the Cove while all the good birders in town are out on the pelagic trip. A gazillion dolphins, maybe 1500 black-vented shearwaters, hundreds of migrating phalaropes.
A pair of black terns was the highlight of the morning.

Then went to look for the common tern reported yesterday at Robb Field. No success there.

Stan Walens, San Diego
August 18, 2019; 12:20 pm

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9832): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9832
-=-=-
---

Date: 8/18/19 10:25 am
From: Sara Baase Mayers <sarabirdingg...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Swinhoe's (Japanese) White-eyes in Pt Loma
     Two Swinhoe's White-eyes were in our yard this morning (Aug. 18).
I puzzled over them for a long time, ruling out Nashville and Virginia's
Warblers before I thought of white-eyes and looked up photos of them.
Based on the reports on eBird, these might be the southernmost. (I'll
post a detailed description to eBird.)

======================
Sara Mayers
Point Loma (San Diego)
======================

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9831): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9831
-=-=-
---

Date: 8/17/19 4:56 pm
From: Justyn Stahl <justyn.stahl...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Lesser Yellowlegs, Reddish Egret, N. Red Bishop
The highlights from various locations in the TRV and the San Diego River
today, 17 August included:

REDDISH EGRET continuing at J St.

A male NORTHERN RED BISHOP (ooh ahh) was at the mostly overgrown “stick
pond” at Dairy Mart, where perhaps more notable was an adult LEAST TERN
circling.

The sod farm actually had green irrigated sod but it was totally devoid of
any birds.

An adult COMMON TERN was at the Robb Field stretch of the San Diego River,
and up stream just east of the 2nd bridge (Old Sea World Drive), were three
LESSER YELLOWLEGS.

Justyn Stahl, with Sadowski, Desnoyers, and visiting birder Ryan Shaw

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9830): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9830
-=-=-

Date: 8/17/19 1:03 pm
From: Stan Walens <stan.walens...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Hornblower Aug 16 & La Jolla Cove, Aug 17: Black-vented shearwaters and a Franklin's gull
Was out on the Hornblower yesterday. It was a mono-species day. Somewhere between 2000-2500 black-vented shearwaters. Hard to count because the boat turns in circles as it follows the one whale it finds. But one raft of black-vents was over 1000 birds. There were so many shearwaters circling the boat that even the Whalers were astonished. No other species of shearwater, no storm-petrels, no alcids [even though conditions were great for seeing them if there’d been any].

Almost the same today at the Cove except even more black-vents. I counted 120/minute streaming north into the canyon for close to an hour.
Probably somewhere around 5000 total, possibly more.
No other tubenoses. No boobies. No alcids.
Hundreds and hundreds of common dolphins everywhere, with swarms of shearwaters following them.

A first-winter Franklin’s gull was roosting on the rocks beneath my bench when I got there, but was almost immediately chased off by tourists trying to see how close they could get to the sea lions.
The gull flew deeper into the Cove and may have landed on the cliffs or headed to the beach at La Jolla Shores, but I was distracted by the multitudes of shearwaters and hoping for something besides a black-vent, and didn’t feel like chasing it.

Stan Walens, San Diego
August 17, 2019; 1:00 pm
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9829): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9829
-=-=-
---

Date: 8/15/19 9:40 am
From: David Povey <poveydw747...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Sunday Aug. 18, 2019 Buena Vista Audubon and Grande pelagic
Just a reminder that the BVAS and Grande 12 hr. trip is this Sunday.
Parking will be very tight.
Fishing is exceptionally good right now, several construction projects have
cut into the local street parking, and to top it all off the America's
Finest City Half Marathon will close off portions of Scott St., and North
Harbor Dr.
I highly recommend an early arrival to find parking, and check in at the
H&M Landing office by
6 a.m. the marathon starts at 6:15 a.m. out at Cabrillo. N.M.
I do plan to get the boat away from the dock on time !
See you there,
Dave Povey
Dulzura

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9828): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9828
-=-=-

Date: 8/14/19 8:04 pm
From: Terence Brashear via Groups.Io <birdnird=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Migrant Wilson's Warbler in Vista
Was pleasantly surprised to see an adult Wilson's Warbler bathing on the shrubbery that had been recently watered late today.  First one I have seen in the area so assuming it is a migrant.
Not earth-shattering, but a nice sighting.
Regards,
Terry BrashearSan Diego <Countybirdnird...>

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9827): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9827
-=-=-

Date: 8/12/19 3:10 pm
From: Nancy Christensen <nancy.r.christensen...>
Subject: Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Laguna - fall arrivals
A correction I believe the two birds I listed as Nashville Warblers were
actually hatch year female-type MacGillivrays. Both had complete gray
collars, just paler under chin, not split collars as a Nashville would have.
Sorry!

Nancy Christensen

Ramona

Date: 8/12/19 2:07 pm
From: Stan Walens <stan.walens...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Off-topic: ordering Steve Howell's new Oceanic Birds of the World at a discount
I am about to order a copy of Steve Howell’s new book, _Oceanic Birds of the World: A Photo Guide_, published by Princeton University Press.
Since my first book was published by PUP, I can order their books at a discount.

As I’ve done before with PUP books, I am willing to order copies for others in the SD birding community at that discount.
The book lists at $35 + tax. Amazon is selling it at $28.50 + tax.

My total cost is a little bit shy of $25/copy, including tax and shipping [exact amount depends on how many copies I order, but that’s the ballpark figure].

If you’re interested, contact me off-list.
I’d like to place the order in the next day or two, since I’m eager to start reading it.

Stan Walens, San Diego
August 12, 2019; 2:00 pm
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9825): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9825
-=-=-
---

Date: 8/12/19 1:17 pm
From: Nancy Christensen <nancy.r.christensen...>
[...]

View/Reply Online (#9824): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9824
-=-=-

Date: 8/12/19 11:25 am
From: <lehman.paul...> via Groups.Io <lehman.paul=<verizon.net...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Miscellanea

Today, Monday, there was a fall arrival Blue-wing Teal with several cinnamon teal at the main Dairy Mart pond, where also a couple least bitterns, and a coastal arrival Prairie Falcon bordering the salt works. The family group of nesting burrowing owls continues well eastsoutheast of the north end of 13th Street. Similar to the last couple years in August, multiple barn owls have been hunting in daylight over the Tijuana River channel weeds visible from the Dairy Mart Road bridge during overcast mornings.

Saturday morning at La Jolla, in addition to the previously reported ashy storm-petrel and common murre, there was a good count for August of 2000 Black-vented shearwaters and the usual 50 or 60 black storm-petrels, plus one brown booby.

Paul Lehman, San Diego

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9823): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9823
-=-=-

Date: 8/11/19 12:50 pm
From: Barbara via Groups.Io <barbarac2003=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] REMINDER: Tuesday, 13 August, SDFO meeting - - one week early this month!
Our meeting this month will be held on Tuesday, August 13, at 6:00 PM, in the Hoffman Room of the San Diego Foundation Building, 2508 Historic Decatur Rd. NOTE THAT THIS IS A WEEK EARLIER THAN USUAL because of room availability.
Our program this month features Susan Farabaugh, Ph.D., Associate Director, Recovery Ecology, San Diego Zoo Institute for Conservation Research. She will present “Of Aga and ‘Alalā—Conserving Endangered Corvids on Pacific Islands”. San Diego Zoo Global’s Hawaiian Endangered Bird Conservation Program (HEBCP) has been active in conservation breeding of critically endangered Hawaiian birds since the mid-1990’s.
Susan Farabaugh grew up in Southern California and was first introduced to the fascination of birds at Occidental College under Dr. Luis Baptista. She obtained her PhD from the University of Maryland College Park studying dueting behavior of tropical Thryothorus wrens in Panama and Venezuela. As a postdoc, she worked on song sharing in group-living Australian Magpies in New Zealand and Australia. It is worth noting that on the way to New Zealand, she stopped in Hawaii to visit a friend who had recently been hired to manage the small breeding colony of ‘Alala, then located at Pohakuloa on the slopes of Mauna Kea. While analyzing magpie song back in Maryland, she became involved in research of perception and neurobiology of vocal learning in birds. This led to a postdoc on neural control of learned vocalization in parrots and songbirds at Auckland University in New Zealand. On her return to the USA in 1997, she took what she thought was a short-term job with the San Diego Zoo assisting the HEBCP with behavioral monitoring of breeding of ‘Alala. This proved to be a major change of direction, and she joined the permanent effort of conservation breeding of the San Clemente Loggerhead Shrike in 1999 and has been managing the shrike program since 2006. In 2015, she became an Associate Director and now manages both shrikes and the HEBCP.

Next month’s meeting is on Tuesday, September 17. Charlene Glacy will tell us what it is like to count albatrosses on Midway Island.

Barbara CarlsonSDFO Membership Chair

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9822): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9822
-=-=-

Date: 8/11/19 10:49 am
From: Paula Theobald via Groups.Io <paulatheo=<icloud.com...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Yellow-crowned Night Herons at Batiquitos Lagoon
Three Yellow-crowned Night Herons, two adults and a juvenile, were observed this morning at the lagoon at two locations. All three were seen at the same time spread out along the reedy shoreline along the I5, south of the I5 bridge. One adult and the juvenile flew across the lagoon and into a small tree/large bush on the trail that leads from the Gabbiano Lane parking area towards the I5. We didn’t see any of the three under the bridge as others have observed.

Paula Theobald
Oceanside

It’s a magical world, Hobbes, ol’ buddy…Let’s go exploring!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9821): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9821
-=-=-

Date: 8/10/19 7:00 am
From: <lehman.paul...> via Groups.Io <lehman.paul=<verizon.net...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] La Jolla road access and current Birds

While the steep one-way road down the hill at La Jolla past the Cave Store is indeed now closed, all one needs to do is continue past that on Prospect to Girard and then turn right and go down the little hill and you come into La Jolla Cove just at the east end of the regular parking stretch, the same road you normally leave on, so all the parking that one normally uses for La Jolla Cove is still currently accessible and usable.

So far this morning (Saturday) I have had an ashy storm-petrel present off and on for a half hour and one southbound Common Murre.

Paul Lehman, San Diego

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9820): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9820
-=-=-

Date: 8/10/19 6:16 am
From: Justyn Stahl <justyn.stahl...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] La Jolla road closure
“Please be advised: The City today will begin an emergency construction
project to stabilize a zone of weakness in a local sea cave located
underneath Coast Blvd. Sections of Cave St. and Coast Blvd. will be closed
temporarily to all traffic for about 6 weeks.”

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/La-Jolla-Sea-Cave-Unstable-Eemrgency-Closure-Cooks-Crack-San-Diego-530422791.html

That would appear to close all the parking from the Cave Store to La Jolla
Cove.

Justyn Stahl

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9819): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9819
-=-=-

Date: 8/9/19 2:20 pm
From: <lehman.paul...> via Groups.Io <lehman.paul=<verizon.net...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] White-eye ID, and some other bird news
Also, FWIW, some Chestnut-flanked White-eyes have very faint
chestnut/buff flanks. Telling Oriental (now Indian) from
Japanese/Chinese (now Swinhoe's) White-eyes requires good, careful
looks, and probably many birders did not do so in the past. The yellow
vent stripe present in Oriental/Indian but lacking in
Japanese/Chinese/Swinhoe's is often a character that is difficult to
assess in the field without very good views.

In other news, there was a Lesser Yellowlegs this morning, Aug 9th, at
the saltworks, but it was last seen flying off well to the south.
Yesterday morning, there was a Belted Kingfisher I first picked up a
half mile offshore, but which flew straight to shore, at La Jolla.
Presumably a migrant.

--Paul Lehman, San Diego

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9818): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9818
-=-=-
---

Date: 8/9/19 11:36 am
From: Justyn Stahl <justyn.stahl...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] [LACoBirds] White-eye confusion
See below for an email from Kimball Garrett regarding updated eBird
treatment of white-eyes in Southern California. In short, records of
Japanese White-eye in San Diego (mainly the Encinitas area) have been
converted to Swinhoe's White-eye, and will be replaced as such on the
filter.

Justyn Stahl

Date: 8/7/19 10:46 pm
From: Stan Walens <stan.walens...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] La Jolla Cove, 8/7/19: 4 species of storm-petrel
In addition to my usual 2+ hours at the Cove nearly every morning, I usually go back for another 90 or so minutes in the afternoon.

The birds every morning have been pretty consistent in numbers and species, and in being mostly far offshore.
Others have reported those numbers, so I won’t reiterate them.

This morning’s seawatch turned up the usual stuff.
Yesterday, Mel Senac and I saw an Ashy Storm-Petrel working the kelp edge to the WNW of my bench. [Use your compass; the Cove is not aligned due north from my bench.]
This morning Paul Lehman and I had one in the same area; he later saw [another?] one further out.

Otherwise, it’s one Black Storm-Petrel after another.
Mostly in the 35-50 range this past week.

Also present this morning, the usual 500 or so Black-vented Shearwaters. Today, a small influx of Pink-footed Shearwaters, somewhere between 4–6.
No boobies.

This afternoon from 2:00–4:15 was really dull. Maybe 35 Black-vented Shearwaters total. No other tubenoses or boobies except the same 25+ Black Storm-Petrels weaving back and forth.

But at 4:10 a large pod of common dolphins came from the open part of the canyon to the NW into the close part of the canyon to the NNE of my bench, bringing with them an influx of other storm-petrels.
In addition to another 20 or so Black Storm-Petrels, there were 3 Leachs’ Storm-Petrels and 2 Least Storm-Petrels mixed in.
These are the first Least Storm-Petrels I’ve seen in maybe 3 months, since I saw 1 soon after the unprecedented influx of Black Storm-Petrels into the Cove began.

On a non-birding but essential topic:
As I predicted, the use of 8 porta-potties to serve the crowds at the Cove is a disaster.
They need 3 times that number and to have them emptied every day.
The only functioning toilet facilities are at Children’s Pool, and they are overburdened now, too.
So do not come to the Cove [for the next 3 years] if you think you might need to use a bathroom.

Stan Walens, San Diego
August 7, 2019; 8:45 pm
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9816): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9816
-=-=-
---

Date: 8/7/19 7:38 pm
From: Jimmy McMorran <Bigshell53...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Encinitas White-winged Dove (8/7/19)
Hi Birders,
A surprise visit of a White-winged Dove was at my one of my back yard water features a little bit ago. It hasn’t returned, but haven't put much effort into waiting to see it again. It seems to now be an annual yard bird at this time of year. Anyway, they are moving.
Good Birding,
Jimmy McMorran
Leucadia, CA

--
Good Birding,
Jimmy McMorran,

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9815): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9815
-=-=-
---

Date: 8/7/19 2:09 pm
From: Robert Patton <rpatton...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] next san elijo monthly bird count monday 12 august 2019
The next San Elijo monthly bird count will be Monday 12 August.  Counts are conducted by volunteers on the second Monday of each month, rain or shine.  Please spread the word or join us if you can (no RSVP required).  Meet at 7:30 am at the north end of Rios Ave in Solana Beach (north from Lomas Santa Fe Dr, west of I-5) to divide into groups to cover different subareas.  A compilation generally follows around noon at the nature center on Manchester Ave (bring your own lunch).

Thanks!
R. Patton
San Diego, CA

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9814): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9814
-=-=-

Date: 8/6/19 9:57 am
From: <lehman.paul...> via Groups.Io <lehman.paul=<verizon.net...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] buntings, murre, & miscellanea
On Tues the 6th, at least one Indigo Bunting (the pale-bellied male)
continues at the horse staging area parking lot just west of the B&B
Garden in the TRV. It is in fairly heavy molt so is doubtfully going
anywhere soon. A fall migrant arrival Lazuli Bunting was in the Tijuana
River channel. At least one Burrowing Owl continues well ESE of the end
of 13th Street.

There's been further expansion of the garden plots at the Community
Gardens along Hollister Ave. in the TRV so that the acreage is now about
triple what it used to be (both good and bad!). The habitat looks good
now all the way to the westernmost plots.

On Monday the 5th, an early-morning seawatch at La Jolla produced 1
Common Murre, 2 Brown Boobies, 2 Cassin's Auklets, 1 Parasitic Jaeger,
800 Black-vented Shearwaters, and 25 Black Storm-Petrels. During the
past several years, the rather unusual but recently annual July push of
southbound murres has typically dried up during circa. the first half of
August.

--Paul Lehman, San Diego

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9813): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9813
-=-=-
---

Date: 8/5/19 5:58 am
From: Guy McCaskie <guymcc...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] North American Birds - Summer Season 2019
County Coordinators/Contributors:

The Summer Season (1 June through 31 July 2019) is ended, and we solicit
reports for inclusion in the Southern California Region of NORTH AMERICAN
BIRDS. Reports should be arranged with species in the taxonomic order
followed by the American Ornithologists Union (Check-List of North American
Birds 1998 and all Supplements) and the American Birding Association (7th
edition of the ABA Checklist, 2009 revised through 2018). Reports of species
included on the California Bird Records Committee (CBRC) review list

http://www.californiabirds.org

must be accompanied by documentation (written description, photographs,
etc.). Similar documentation should also accompany reports of species
unusual for the location or season. Full names, with all initials, should be
used in the reports (this reduces the potential for different observers
having the same initials, and makes it simpler to acknowledge contributors)
- John P. Doe in lieu of John Doe.

Reports should be sent to the appropriate County Coordinators (listed below)
or directly to Guy McCaskie by 24 June 2019. NORTH AMERICAN BIRDS can not
exist without your input.

David Compton (Santa Barbara County)
<davcompton60...> <mailto:<davcompton60...>%20>

Tom M. Edell (San Luis Obispo County)
<mailto:<tedell...> <tedell...>

Kimball L. Garrett (Los Angeles County)
<kgarrett...> <mailto:<kgarrett...>

Chet McGaugh (Riverside County)
<chetmcgaugh...> <mailto:<chetmcgaugh...>

Kelli K. Heindel (Kern County)
<kkheindel...> <mailto:<kkheindel...>

Tom and Jo Heindel (Inyo County)
<tjheindel...> <mailto:<tjheindel...>

Adam Searcy (Ventura County)
<serpophaga...> <mailto:<serpophaga...>

Alexander E. Koonce (San Bernardino County)
<sandy_koonce...> <mailto:<sandy_koonce...>

Guy McCaskie (San Diego and Imperial County)
<guymcc...> <mailto:<guymcc...>

Ryan S. Winkleman (Orange County)
<rswinkleman...> <mailto:<rswinkleman...>

We thank you in advance for your time and effort.

Guy McCaskie and Kimball L. Garrett.

.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9812): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9812
-=-=-

Date: 8/3/19 5:52 pm
From: Tito Gonzalez <txsandpiper...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Continuing Yellow-crowned Night Heron at Batiquitos 3AUG2019
Of North County interest, the adult Yellow-crowned Night Heron found by
Steve Brad on 25JUL2019 at Batiquitos Lagoon was seen this morning at low
tide just East of I5 and just south of channel underneath I5. While the
species was seen at the Lagoon in 2017 it was not reported last year.

Tito Gonzalez

Carlsbad, CA

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9811): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9811
-=-=-

Date: 8/2/19 8:58 pm
From: Jimmy McMorran <Bigshell53...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Baird's Sandpiper (8/2/19)
Hi Birders,
There was a juvenile Baird's Sandpiper at San Elijo Lagoon. Not a big deal,
but a fun early migrant to add to the mix of recently reported shorebird
species arriving in San Diego County.

eBird Checklist Below:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58692081

Good Birding,
Jimmy McMorran
Leucadia, CA

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9810): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9810
-=-=-

Date: 8/2/19 8:52 am
From: <lehman.paul...> via Groups.Io <lehman.paul=<verizon.net...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Little Stint at saltworks

An adult Little Stint, presumably one of last winter's two birds, has returned to the salt works on Friday the 2nd. They are dropping the saltworks pond that is half a mile east of 13th Street, and the bird is frequenting the first, southwest corner of that pond. It has molted out of breeding plumage quite a bit but still has a faint orange cast to the rear of the head and nape area and a few of the black feathers with broad rusty edges on the lower scapulars and tertials remain as well. It still has fine dark spotting on the sides of the upper breast but otherwise the underparts are totally clean white, and of course it has a notably short and fine-tipped bill, and a faint split supercilium. Otherwise, I cannot find any rare shorebirds on this pond despite the large numbers of birds present, including plenty of juvenile Western sandpipers.

Paul Lehman, San Diego

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9809): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9809
-=-=-

Date: 8/1/19 12:35 pm
From: Elizabeth Copper <ecopper...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Pacific Golden-plover Tijuana River mouth

Robert Patton and Lea Squires report a Pacific Golden-Plover ne of the mouth of the Tijuana River with a group of about 30 Black-bellied Plovers.
Messenger
Elizabeth Copper
Coronado

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9808): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9808
-=-=-
---

Date: 8/1/19 7:34 am
From: <lehman.paul...> via Groups.Io <lehman.paul=<verizon.net...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Nazca Booby again at La Jolla on Thursday

Thursday morning there is yet again an adult Nazca Booby off La Jolla. The bird appeared at 7:12 a.m., only two minutes later than it did several days ago, and this time it stuck around for over 10 minutes, plunge diving and sitting on the water for quite a while. In fact, it is still on the water as I dictate this, but it has moved farther south and offshore, and is so far away I can't currently see it. A ways south of the cove and about a mile offshore. It gets a fair amount of harassment from Western Gulls. I would guess that this is the same individual that we had a few days ago, but who knows. It is certainly the same plumage and at exactly the same time in the morning.

Paul Lehman, San Diego

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9807): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9807
-=-=-

Date: 8/1/19 6:11 am
From: Stan Walens <stan.walens...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] La Jolla Cove, July 31: No Laysan in the afternoon
I spent 2.5 hours at the Cove this morning. Fortunate to have Sue Smith join me; her eBird reports document the birds we saw.

Went back at 12:30 when the sun had come out and the wind had picked up. Was there when the announcement of the Laysan Albatross came onto the listserv. Stayed until a bit after 5:30.

First of all, no Laysan.
Most of the seabirds, and a lot of common dolphins, were feeding way offshore, on the horizon. Nothing looked big enough to be an albatross, and even if something had been, it’s too far away to identify.
I was hoping the albatross might leave the distant feeding flocks and head in closer to shore, where there were a lot of fishing boats. Nope.

I’ve been on enough whale-watching trips this season to know the location of the minke whales: about 4–5 miles west of Pt. La Jolla and a little less than 2 miles south. They move around a little bit, but have stayed pretty localized.
Considering that albatrosses can fly 24/7 at speeds of 30+ mph, the bird could be in Monterey Bay by now, or back at Guadalupe Island.

Some nice birds during my 5 hours in the afternoon.
Still hundreds of black-vented shearwaters and a dozen black storm-petrels. 2 sooty shearwaters.
Several hundred phalaropes of undetermined species.
6 parasitic jaegers: 5 close enough to see that they were birds of the year; one too distant to tell age.
7 boobies: 6 definite brown boobies, and one definitely not a brown. As it flew past just outside the kelp line I got a quick view, and I could see a basically brown-backed bird with white splotches on the back. But just as it came into view, a battalion—nay, verily an entire regiment—of tourists decided to plant themselves in the space in front of me for the next 10 minutes. So either a juvenile masked-type, which given its dark head color is what I think it was—or a blue-footed.

I’m sure a bunch of birders will be on the Privateer tomorrow.
Wind doesn’t get into double digits until 11:00 a.m.; it’ll be cloudy until >9:00 .am.

Stan Walens, San Diego
July 31, 2019; 9:50 p.m.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9806): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9806
-=-=-

Date: 7/31/19 3:08 pm
From: Susan Smith via Groups.Io <seiurus=<aol.com...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Sea Watch La Jolla and Del Mar (Penasquitos Lagoon mouth) July 31, 2019
Only birds of note this morning at La Jolla Point were 2 boobies (too far out to ID, probably Brown Boobies), 2 Common Murres, about 15 Black Storm-petrels, scads of  Black-vented Shearwaters and Brandt's Cormorants,  and at nearby Harbor Seal Haulout, two adult Wandering Tattlers close-in and in breeding plumage.  I think I saw the whale-watch boat far west in the mist near the horizon, but saw no LAAL.   Off  Penasquitos Lagoon mouth there were three basic-plumaged Common Loons, feeding pretty close in around the river mouth.  Complete eBird lists  and numbers at
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58590679 Point La Jollahttps://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58591144   Childrens Beach/Harbor sea haulouthttps://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58592950  Penasquitos Lagoon mouth

Susan Smith Seiurus Biological  Consulting Del Mar, CA <seiurus...>

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9805): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9805
-=-=-

Date: 7/31/19 1:28 pm
From: Nancy Christensen <nancy.r.christensen...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Laysan Albatross
San Diego Whale Watch reports (on Facebook) they had a Laysan Albatross seen and photographed on their morning boat today, July 31. No details about location given, but they say it circled around in a group of several hundred other birds and two Minke whales.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9804): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9804
-=-=-
---

Date: 7/31/19 6:00 am
From: Mary Cairns <phoebepoint73...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] <SanDiegoRegionBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Pleasant surprise this afternoon: Dark-Eyed Junco in Point Loma
Good day,
I was at Anderson's Nursery this afternoon buying vegetables when I saw a junco fly near me.  I know there is theUCSD group that is around, but thought this was worth noting.  Anderson's is across from SPAWAR in Point Loma(the one I was at).  I chased it around until I could grab a photo with my iPhone.
Checklist with photo:  https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58255119

Regards,Mary CairnsPoint Loma

Back to top
Date: 7/30/19 7:30 pm
From: Joni Ciarletta <jcjc9999...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Wildlife Center in Carlsbad Closed
Many of you may be aware that a new rehab facility owned by Rancho Coastal Humane Society recently opened in Carlsbad to take in injured and orphaned wildlife. I am very sad to report that the new facility has closed down. If you find a wild bird or animal in need of help, there are alternate locations available:

ALTERNATIVE WILDLIFE CARE FACILITIES
Project Wildlife Pilar & Chuck Bahde Wildlife Center 5433 Gaines St. San Diego, CA 92110 619-225-WILD(9453) Hours 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Open 7 days a week (except Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day) Drop-off area is open 24/7

PERMITTED WILDLIFE DROP-OFF LOCATIONS IN NORTH COUNTY include:

San Diego Humane Society – Escondido Campus 3500 Burnet Drive Escondido, CA 92027 Escondido, CA 92027 619-299-7012, ext. 2737

San Diego Humane Society – Oceanside Campus 572 Airport Road Oceanside, CA 92058 619-299-7012, ext.2000 or ext.2050

Mission Animal Bird Hospital 655 Benet Road Oceanside, CA 92058 760-433-3763

All Pets Animal Hospital Mammals Only 149 S. El Camino Real Encinitas, CA 92024 760-634-2022

Acacia Animal Hospital and Pet Resort 655 W. Citracado Parkway Escondido, CA 92025 760-745-8115

Hope this is helpful,

Joni Ciarletta
Carlsbad, CA
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9803): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9803
-=-=-
---

Date: 7/30/19 10:52 am
From: Stan Walens <stan.walens...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] La Jolla Cove, July 30: 2 boobies, 0 bathrooms
Was at the Cove from 7:00-9:30. Much like yesterday but birds even further offshore.

Several closer-in feeding groups contained a total of 3 different brown boobies during that time. At 8:20 a masked-type booby was heading north 2 miles offshore. Too distant for species identification. I waited until 9:30 in case it circled in closer, but it did not.

The bathrooms at the Cove are being torn down as of yesterday. Estimate is 3 years to be replaced. Only real facilities now are at Children’s Pool. Otherwise it’s 8 porta potties to handle the Cove’s approximately 2500+ daily visitors.

Stan Walens, San Diego
July 30, 2019; 10:50 am

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9802): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9802
-=-=-
---

Date: 7/29/19 10:33 am
From: Stan Walens <stan.walens...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] La Jolla Cove, July 29, 2019—ho-hum
Terrible viewing conditions. Overcast, gray skies; haze. No wind. Lots of birds, but swarming 2 miles out.

500-700 black-vented shearwaters
2 black storm-petrels
1 female or subadult brown booby
1 juvenile Heermann’s gull [on the rocks below my bench; first seen 2 days ago; my FOS]
0 alcids

A visiting couple from Pennsylvania saw a FOS black turnstone.

Stan Walens, San Diego
July 29, 2019; 10:30 am
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9801): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9801
-=-=-
---

Date: 7/29/19 8:53 am
From: John Bruin <johnrbruin...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Wilson’s Phalarope instead of lesser yellowlegs
Sorry about that. Robb Field

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9800): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9800
-=-=-
---

Date: 7/29/19 8:09 am
From: John Bruin <johnrbruin...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Lesser yellowlegs-Robb field
At 8:08-7/29. Mud flats across from tennis court

John Bruin
Bay Park

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9799): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9799
-=-=-
---

Date: 7/28/19 9:51 am
From: James Pawlicki <jmpawli10...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Northern Parula, Balboa Park (west side) 7/28
There was a male Northern Parula with a small mixed flock in the trees on
the west side of Balboa Park between Juniper and El Prado this morning
around 9 am. The bird briefly sang and called several times (YEWA-like
“chip”) over the course of 5+ minutes.

Jim Pawlicki
La Mesa

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9798): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9798
-=-=-

Date: 7/28/19 7:18 am
From: <lehman.paul...> via Groups.Io <lehman.paul=<verizon.net...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Nazca Booby off La Jolla

A full adult Nazca Booby flew by La Jolla heading south, fairly close to shore, at 7:10 am Sunday morning. Otherwise there's just been several hundred black-vented shearwaters, a few black storm-petrels, and a single one-year-old Parasitic Jaeger.

Paul Lehman et. al., San Diego

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9797): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9797
-=-=-

Date: 7/27/19 5:52 pm
From: Andrew N <dingomaster...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Possible Semipalmated Sandpiper at Mudflats
The sandpipers at the mudflats mid-morning were pretty close to shore (at least right up until someone let their dog run right out there to scare every bird off). I took several shots of the flock for further review and came up with this possibility. I've left a Western in the frame for comparison.  Sadly no bill photo, but the right bird does have a slightly smaller stature and is lacking in red tones, despite appearing to have some breeding plumage left, possibly ruling out just a young bird.  Hopefully someone with better knowledge of these guys can chime in.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3PKkghfDJpBP9GUZA

Andrew Newmark
Hillcrest, CA

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9796): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9796
-=-=-

Date: 7/27/19 11:01 am
From: Tom Blackman <obeach...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Yellow-crowned Night Herons
07.27.2019

This AM two Yellow-crowned Night Herons were at the West end of the flood
control channel by Robb Field. One of the birds was an immature.

Regards,

Tom Blackman

619.807.5615

<obeach...> <mailto:<obeach...>

obeach.smugmug.com

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9795): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9795
-=-=-

Date: 7/27/19 7:56 am
From: dan jehl <jehlyfish...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Masked Booby at La Jolla 07272109
At 7:40 this morning and adult masked booby was seen from the La Jolla Cove Seawatch spot. Clean white and black, no brown spotting seen Bill was yellowish green not orange. Flying about half a mile off shore seen for about 10 minutes by myself,Stan Walens, and David Gardner. Also, one Common Murre and a few groups of Red-necked Phalaropes.

Dan Jehl
San Diego

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9794): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9794
-=-=-
---

Date: 7/26/19 10:06 pm
From: Jayne Lesley <jaynelesley...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] San Dieguito Monthly Bird Survey - Next Sunday, August 4th!

This is a reminder about the next San Dieguito monthly bird count. The August 2019 bird count is on the first Sunday - next Sunday, August 4th. We are now in our tenth year of collecting bird data at the San Dieguito Lagoon.

Everyone is welcome - interested, beginners, visitors, experienced birders.

We will meet at the usual time and place: 7:30 AM at the south end of San Andres. (Turn right/south off of Via De La Valle, on the east side of I5. San Andres dead ends at the San Dieguito Lagoon.) We coordinate with park rangers to provide vests and access for the restricted areas. We'll divide into five groups to count the different areas.

We gather to tally our results at noon at the Del Mar Public Works parking lot/picnic tables off Jimmy Durante Rd.

Hope to see you next Sunday for another great day of birding.

Jayne Lesley (cell phone: 858-663-6568)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9793): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9793
-=-=-

Date: 7/26/19 8:32 pm
From: Gary Nunn <garybnunn...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Lake Henshaw – breeding Spotted Sandpiper, SW Willow Fly July 26, 2019
Dan Jehl and I took a dawn patrol hike to the back of Lake Henshaw today
July 26, 2019, 5:15 AM–10:15 AM. Humidity was up, temperatures in the
65--85F range. Bit of a slog walking back to the highway after 9 AM.

Last week I had encountered an adult Spotted Sandpiper acting as if it had
a nest or nestlings hidden nearby, circling low over grass and short herbs,
landing on small trees and then a post calling, as I walked by. Then
leading me away calling on the ground. I had made a cursory look around
but no signs of nesting. Today we encountered the same adult and after a
short search out popped a small and still flightless youngster! Beautifully
marked brown and black barring on the back, black loral and eye stripe and
dark crown stripe extending to the nape and with two black dots on the back
if its head.

We listened for the Yellow-billed Cuckoo I had seen and heard on July 20
but did not detect it.

Shorebirds were very scant - half a dozen Western Sandpiper, 3 Least
Sandpiper and a Greater Yellowlegs were all we could find in the south end
shallow margins. There was a large "midge" hatch on and plenty of insect
life around. Just not many migrant birds out there. One California Gull
eating the flies.

We made a note of "Southwestern" Willow Flycatchers detecting at least four
singing individuals and possibly as many as six. These were in the same
separated discrete areas I had detected them on July 20. In one spot
possibly two birds singing next to each other. There were other
individuals "whitting" around also so the total number may be higher.
--
Gary Nunn
Pacific Beach

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9792): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9792
-=-=-

Date: 7/26/19 7:59 pm
From: David Povey <poveydw747...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Sabine's Gulls, Common Murre, and others
I took the family offshore today for an outing. Not sailors, some survived
some didn't.
Notable were four *Sabine's Gulls* in a single group on the water five
n.miles west of Mission Bay. Then a south bound *Common Murre* off the Point of
La Jolla.
Other species seen were; a Pink-ft. Shearwater, 20- Sooty Shearwater, 150
Black-v. Shearwater,
25- Black Storm-Petrel, 10 - Red-n. Phalarope, 60 Elegant Tern, 1- Least
Tern, 1 Caspian Tern.
B. Pelicans, Brandt's Cormorants, Western, and Heermann's Gulls.
One whale sp. off La Jolla, Two pods of Common Dolphin.
Dave Povey
Dulzura

p.s. last I saw there was a single spot open for the Aug. 18th. BVAS
pelagic. Call H & M at
619 222- 1144. They will take a short waiting list to cover possible
cancellations.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9791): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9791
-=-=-

Date: 7/26/19 11:44 am
From: <lehman.paul...> via Groups.Io <lehman.paul=<verizon.net...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Semipalmated Sandpiper
Friday morning the 26th, there was a juvenile Semipalmated Sandpiper at
the saltworks pond at the end of 13th St. in Imperial Beach. The large
concentration of shorebirds were all at the east end of the pond, so one
needs to walk east on the bike path to adjacent to the southeast corner
of the pond and scan from there. One needs a good scope, lots of
patience, and the willingness to scan through the fencing, which muddies
the view a bit. Early morning is best due to lighting and to avoid heat
distortion. The Semi was the only juvenile peep among about a thousand
Western Sandpipers, as well as ca. 100 Wilson's Phalaropes (and 25
Red-neckeds) and 29 Red Knots.

On Weds the 24th, there was yet another southbound Common Murre at La Jolla.

--Paul Lehman, San Diego

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9790): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9790
-=-=-
---

Date: 7/25/19 12:21 pm
From: Nancy Christensen <nancy.r.christensen...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Scott's Orioles again
This morning I observed TWO adult female Scott's Orioles in my yard. The
female from the other day had a brownish head with a dark blotch on her
breast, and was seen feeding a fledgling. The new female today has an almost
entirely black head and breast, shading to dark brown on the back of the
head, where it becomes mottled on the back. This female was seen repeatedly
feeding a fledgling today, bringing it both bugs and suet. That young bird
also visited oranges where it fed itself. I assume there were two separate
SCOOR nests in my neighborhood, unless these birds are traveling to the area
with young birds in tow. Only one male has been seen, however it is very
flighty and pulls a disappearing act at the slightest movement. Will one
male have two mates?

I also had a fledgling mockingbird in the yard this morning. Mockers visit
my yard when berries are ripe (as they are now), but do not nest or sing
while here. There are nearby areas where they seem to be resident. I assume
this baby mocker has come from a nearby nest.

Here are the checklists from today and Tuesday with photos of the two
Scott's females:

<https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58441573>
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58441573

<https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58374512>
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58374512

Nancy Christensen

Ramona

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9789): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9789
-=-=-

Date: 7/25/19 12:00 pm
From: stevan brad via Groups.Io <stevanbrad=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] yellow crowned nght heron batiquitos lagoon july 25 730 am
I spotted an adult Yellow-crowned Night-Heron this morning about 75 yards west of the Nature center  and then across the lagoon near the freeway just south of the 5 freeway bridge.   Reviewing sdrb I see that sue smith et al had one July 7 at san dieguito lagoon along with a juvi     On the far side of the lagoon  there was another bird that was a candidate to be  juvi based mostly on size   my photo of that bird barely reveals it as a bird but perhaps the same two birds that Sue saw    I did get some photos of the adult before it flew to the far side and have them in my ebird report     good birding your way

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58443574

steve brad
leucadia

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9788): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9788
-=-=-

Date: 7/23/19 1:18 pm
From: <lehman.paul...> via Groups.Io <lehman.paul=<verizon.net...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Common Murres, early juv R-n Phal, misc. waterbirds
Today, the 23rd, there were 4 one-year-old Common Terns on the J
St./Marina Pkwy. mudflats, along with a good total of 230 Royal Terns
(with slightly larger numbers of Elegants). A seawatch from the south
end of Seacoast Drive produced 6+ Brown Boobies. A flock of 17 summering
Surf Scoters off Camp Surf. Yesterday, the 22nd, an AM seawatch at La
Jolla produced continuing small numbers of southbound Common Murres,
with 3 birds in 90 minutes, as well as good numbers of southbound
Red-necked Phalaropes, 60+ Black-vented Shearwaters, and 40+ Black
Storm-Petrels. A JUVENILE Red-necked Phalarope at San Dieguito Lagoon in
Del Mar ties my personal early arrival date for this age in the county,
in 2017. Also 9 Redheads and 3 W-f Ibis there.

--Paul Lehman

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9787): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9787
-=-=-
---

Date: 7/22/19 7:17 pm
From: Stan Walens <stan.walens...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Hornblower trip, July 22
An interesting trip. For much of the time as we headed out to the 9-Mile Bank, the ocean was devoid of any birds at all.
And of cetaceans.
The swell was small, but wind chop made the surface a mess. No alcids seen.

About 5 miles due west of the tip of Pt. Loma we came to our first tubenoses: a flock of 22-24 black-vented shearwaters, with 2 sooty shearwaters and 3 black storm-petrels in with them.
A couple more black storm-petrels as we headed west from that area.
Then nothing, nothing, nothing until we got out to the 9-Mile Bank.
It was still pretty birdless, but we picked up 26 pink-footed shearwaters, 8 more sooty shearwaters, and a small flock of 7-8 Leach’s storm-petrels, all but one of which were dark-rumped.

On the way back in, we found a raft of 22 pink-footed shearwaters sitting in the water about 8 miles offshore; 2 more sooties; 4 black storm-petrels, and 9 black-vented shearwaters.

This lack of birds was surprising, because a large number of shearwaters and a small number of storm-petrels, as well as hordes of common dolphins, are off of La Jolla Cove again.

Stan Walens, San Diego
July 22, 2019; 4:15 pm
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9786): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9786
-=-=-
---

Date: 7/22/19 11:48 am
From: Nancy Christensen <nancy.r.christensen...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Scott’s Orioles
A male Scott’s Oriole has been hanging around my neighborhood on Mussey Grade in Ramona for about 2 weeks. I had assumed it was a post-breeding bird that had left the desert. Today I was surprised to have a female Scott’s visit the feeders. Then a second female-type shows up. The breast markings are different on the two birds. Finally a fledgling came in and the the female with a black blotch on her breast fed it repeatedly. This young bird doesn’t’t fly well and does not seem to be able to self-feed. I have to assume the Scott’s have nested nearby. A pair nested here several years ago as well.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9785): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9785
-=-=-
---

Date: 7/21/19 6:39 pm
From: Greg Gillson <greggillson...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Offshore San Diego
Just getting back from a day at sea. Pleasure cruise on 40 foot Reel
Science from Shelter Island.

Went out to 182 Spot.

4 Craveri's Murrelets plus 1 Murrelet flying and 1 dead that were probably
the same.

2 Ashy SP, 6 or so Chapman's.

Nothing else of note except blue sky and blue seas.

Greg Gillson
Escondido

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

View/Reply Online (#9784): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9784
-=-=-

Date: 7/21/19 12:31 pm
From: <lehman.paul...> via Groups.Io <lehman.paul=<verizon.net...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] continuing Indigo, phalaropes, Reddish
One of the stakeout male Indigo Buntings present near the B&B Garden in
the TRV continues on Sunday morning, singing from dead tops of willow
trees to the south of the road across from the horse trail-riding
parking area, to the west of the garden. At the saltworks pond directly
off the north end of 13th Street in Imperial Beach there were good
numbers of shorebirds including 62 Willson's Phalaropes. A good spotting
scope and is essential. And the long-staying Reddish Egret continues on
the mudflats off J St./Marina Parkway in Chula Vista.

--Paul Lehman & Barbara Carlson, San Diego

View/Reply Online (#9783): https://groups.io/g/SanDiegoRegionBirding/message/9783
-=-=-
---
Please join us at the monthly meetings of San Diego Field Ornithologists (SDFO) at 6pm on the third Tuesday of every month in the Hoffman Room of The San Diego Foundation, 2508 Historic Decatur Rd., San Diego, CA 92106. Guests welcome, but membership encouraged for only $25 a year.
---
-=-=-

Join us on Facebook!