GeneseeBirds-L
Received From Subject
1/18/19 3:59 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] RBA Buffalo Bird Report 17 Jan 2019
1/16/19 2:32 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Winter programs at the Montezuma Audubon Center
1/15/19 9:50 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Rochester Airport Snowy
1/13/19 8:32 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Livonia Sandhill Cranes , Lima Rough-leg
1/10/19 4:23 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> Re: [GeneseeBirds-L] Same stuff
1/9/19 9:58 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Same stuff
1/6/19 9:41 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Parasitic Jaeger off Webster Park - 9:45 AM 1/6/19
1/5/19 8:39 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Eared Grebe -Evangola SP
1/3/19 6:23 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Female snowy owl is halfway out Summerville pier. Best seen from.Charlotte side if you want to avoid black ice
12/29/18 7:21 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Conesus Lake CBC: Tufted Duck, Gulls et al
12/29/18 5:42 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Tufted Duck on Conesus Lake
12/29/18 12:52 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Snowy Owl at Batavia Airport
12/29/18 12:28 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Raven
12/29/18 5:01 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] snowy-downtown Buffalo
12/28/18 7:19 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> Re: [GeneseeBirds-L] Snowy in the downtown area
12/28/18 6:59 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> Re: [GeneseeBirds-L] downtown Buffalo-snowy
12/28/18 6:47 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] downtown Buffalo-snowy
12/27/18 4:18 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Conesus Lake: Snow Geese
12/26/18 7:55 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Snowies, Peregrines...
12/26/18 1:17 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Conesus Lake: LBB Gull, LT Ducks, Wigeon et al
12/20/18 3:57 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Out-of-date Tricolored Heron photo
12/19/18 8:14 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> Re: [GeneseeBirds-L] Tricolored Heron along Lake Shore
12/19/18 7:39 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> Re: [GeneseeBirds-L] Tricolored Heron along Lake Shore
12/19/18 6:56 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> Re: [GeneseeBirds-L] Tricolored Heron along Lake Shore
12/19/18 6:53 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Tricolored Heron along Lake Shore
12/19/18 11:50 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Red-headed Woodpeckers in Durand Park

Back to top
Date: 1/18/19 3:59 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] RBA Buffalo Bird Report 17 Jan 2019
- RBA
* New York
* Buffalo
* 01/17/2019
* NYBU1901.17
- Birds mentioned

Please submit reports to
<DSuggs...>

Tundra Swan
Cackling Goose
Rough-legged Hawk
Peregrine Falcon
Little Gull
Bonaparte's Gull
Iceland Gull
Eastern Screech-Owl
Snowy Owl
Common Raven
Winter Wren
Gray Catbird
Northern Shrike
White-cr. Sparrow
Snow Bunting
Rusty Blackbird
Common Redpoll
Evening Grosbeak

- Transcript
Hotline: Buffalo Bird Report at the Buffalo Museum of Science
Date: 01/17/2019
Number: 716-896-1271
To Report: Same
Compiler: David F. Suggs
Coverage: Western New York and adjacent Ontario
Website: www.BuffaloOrnithologicalSociety.org

Thursday, January 17, 2019

The Buffalo Bird Report is a service provided
by your Buffalo Museum of Science and the
Buffalo Ornithological Society. To contact the
Science Museum, call 896-5200. Press the pound
key to report sightings before the end of this
message.

Highlights of reports late December through
mid-January from the Niagara Frontier Region.

At least six SNOWY OWLS on the Buffalo
waterfront, including one SNOWY OWL in downtown
Buffalo, residing on the ECC Campus building on
South Division Street.

On the upper Niagara River, a flock of 500
BONAPARTE'S GULLS off Unity Island, with
numerous individuals with full black hoods, and
two LITTLE GULLS among the BONAPARTE'S GULLS.
On the river at Grand Island, 225 TUNDRA SWANS.
At the Grand Island state parks, GRAY CATBIRD
at Beaver Island, and RUSTY BLACKBIRD at
Buckhorn Island.

EVENING GROSBEAKS still in the region. One
report of three at a feeder in West Valley, and
several EVENING GROSBEAKS in Orchard Park.

Late December in Wyoming County - 70 COMMON
REDPOLLS on Vernal Road in Attica and 12 COMMON
REDPOLLS on Peaviner Road in Alexander. Flocks
of up to 110 SNOW BUNTINGS in Bethany.
Recently, ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS at two locations
in Wyoming County, and a flock a eight WHITE-
CR. SPARROWS on McLernon Road in Bethany.

In the Lake Ontario Plains, single NORTHERN
SHRIKES in Porter and Yates. COMMON RAVEN on
Hess Road in Newfane. And a CACKLING GOOSE on
Lake Ontario at the short pier in Wilson.

Other reports - ICELAND GULL at Woodlawn Beach
in Hamburg. Two PEREGRINE FALCONS at the Bird
Island Pier and a single PEREGRINE FALCON at
the Richardson Towers. Red-phase EASTERN
SCREECH-OWL in Eden. And, WINTER WREN at Tifft
Nature Preserve.

You may report sightings after the tone. Thank
you for calling and reporting.

- End Transcript

Back to top
Date: 1/16/19 2:32 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Winter programs at the Montezuma Audubon Center
Good afternoon everyone-

I wanted to share with you, the Montezuma Audubon Center's 2019 Winter Wonderland Programs!

Please visit this link to see the complete list through the end of March 2019: http://friendsofmontezuma.org/2019-winter-wonderland-programs-montezuma-audubon-center/

Thank you, and happy birding!

--
Alyssa Johnson
Environmental Educator

315.365.3588

Montezuma Audubon Center
2295 State Route 89
P.O. Box 187
Savannah, New York 13146
Audubon NY- Montezuma<http://ny.audubon.org/Montezuma>
Montezuma Audubon Center on Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/MontezumaAudubonCenter/>

Back to top
Date: 1/15/19 9:50 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Rochester Airport Snowy
There is s Snowy Owl readily visible from gate 19 at the end of Old Beahan Road off Scottsville Road. Mike Tetlow

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 1/13/19 8:32 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Livonia Sandhill Cranes , Lima Rough-leg
For those that don’t get ebird updates. The 9 Sandhill Cranes (down from 11)were still in the corn field on the north side of Ashley Road in Livonia. Near house #9227 yesterday afternoon.
We also had a Rough-legged Hawk in the field at Townline and Doran Road in Lima. Mike and Joann Tetlow

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 1/10/19 4:23 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: Re: [GeneseeBirds-L] Same stuff
 Hi Peter .. regarding our question about the Snowies- we had 5 on the docks yesterday at outer harbor plus 3 in their usual positions on lighthouse/breakwalls . so we saw 8 at once . not sure how many but at least 8 ..

Shelley

Date: 1/6/19 9:41 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Parasitic Jaeger off Webster Park - 9:45 AM 1/6/19
    After church, Sue and I stopped by the lower lakeshore area at Webster Park briefly. Very wavy and little there except a number of Common Goldeneye and a few Long-tailed Ducks and Red-breasted Mergansers and gulls passing. Then a Parasitic Jaeger passed into my binocular view only a couple of hundred yards out and doing "scaling" flight east to west; a continuous series of roller coaster moves up and down while rapidly moving west.
Bob Spahn, <rspahn...>

Back to top
Date: 1/5/19 8:39 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Eared Grebe -Evangola SP
This morning there was an Eared Grebe off the north end of Evangola SP. There weren’t many Horned Grebes to pick through so the Eared stood out a little better. Everything seemed to be slowly pushing to the north so it might bear looking from other points it can’t be seen from the park.

Joe Mitchell

Back to top
Date: 1/3/19 6:23 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Female snowy owl is halfway out Summerville pier. Best seen from.Charlotte side if you want to avoid black ice
Lynn Bergmeyer, Greece NY 585-576-0422

On Sat, Dec 29, 2018, 10:21 PM Bird observations from western New York <
<geneseebirds-l...> wrote:

> Terry Bohling, Kim Norquist, Rick Stevens and I worked the Conesus Lake
> sector of the Little Lakes Christmas Bird Count today. It was certainly a
> chilly, windy and damp morning and the lake area was alive with duck
> hunters - making accurate counting challenging as flocks of waterfowl were
> moved around the lake. Others, including the swans have all left the lake
> since the beginning of the second duck season this last week. I’ll try to
> post our complete list (we had 54 species), but here are a couple
> highlights:
> Rick Stevens and I had some of our best birds toward the end of the
> afternoon - after both the lake and most of the hunters had quieted down.
> A large of gulls came swirling about and settled down near the south end
> of the lake. Most were Ring-bills and Herring Gulls, but some careful
> scoping turned up an Iceland Gull, 2 Lesser-Black-backed and 4 Great
> Black-backed Gulls in with the mix.
>
> A short time later and a short ways further up West Lake Rd. we stopped to
> scope out one of the many rafts of Redheads and Canvasbacks, most of which
> had probably been driven down from the north end. Right in front of the
> flock was a male Tufted Duck. Most of the ducks were sleeping with heads
> tucked in, but the Tufted stuck its head up long enough for both Rick and I
> to see the distinctive tuft, and for me to get a passable photo
> We estimated 4000 Redheads in all, a typical number for the Conesus
> Christmas count, but the 160 Canvasbacks, first counted by Kim closer to
> the north end, seemed to account for most off those we were seeing further
> south. Rick and hadn’t watched flock with the Tufted Duck more than about
> 10 minutes when a boat with hunters moved in, fired a couple shots and put
> the whole flock up in the air.
>
> With the continued hunting, especially over the weekend, there’s no way of
> knowing where any of these birds may show up.
>
> Jim Kimball
> <kimball...>

Back to top

Date: 12/29/18 5:42 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Tufted Duck on Conesus Lake
A Tufted Duck was found on Conesus Lake today and reported at the compilation meeting of the Little Lakes Christmas Count this evening.

Pat Martin
Compiler

Back to top
Date: 12/29/18 12:52 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Snowy Owl at Batavia Airport
Happy Holidays, friends!

Started at Nations Road in Avon. A few Harrier Hawk sightings which was
lovely. For us, the excitement of the afternoon was watching a large Snowy
Owl resting on a mound of snow at Batavia Airport. Tucked away between two
buildings, we only stopped there because we spotted another birder standing
there, ha ha!

Wishing everyone a great day!
Janet and James Sandefur
<Jbovitzsandefur...>
From Penfield, NY

--
*Janet Lynn Bovitz-Sandefur*
Rochester, New York USA

Founder of: *just-do-something.org* <http://www.just-do-something.org/>

*Always, ALWAYS take a moment to JUST DO SOMETHING!*
You never know if YOUR action is the ONLY action that will help save or
better an animal's life.

- Speak Up: Be Their Voice.
- Never, EVER turn your back.
- Become educated. There is no excuse for ignorance.
- Spread awareness and knowledge. Sharing MATTERS.
- Sign and share Animal Petitions - they really, really DO make a
difference.
- Jump in and be a *Guest Blogger*
<http://www.just-do-something.org/be-our-guest-blogger/> on our site!
Share what you're doing!
- Did you have an Advocacy Moment? *Let us know*
<http://www.just-do-something.org/your-just-do-something-moments/> and
we'll share it!

JUST DO SOMETHING, Every Day!

Back to top
Date: 12/29/18 12:28 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Raven
Thursday, December 27, ~3:15 PM, Churchville County Park, Town of Riga, Monroe County. Sorry for the delayed notice.

Lynn Braband
NYS Community IPM Program of Cornell University
2449 St. Paul Blvd
Rochester, NY 14617
(585) 753-2562
fax: (585) 753-2560
http://www.nysipm.cornell.edu
Twitter: @LynnBraband<https://twitter.com/LynnBraband>

Back to top
Date: 12/29/18 5:01 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] snowy-downtown Buffalo
7:45 a.m. snowy owl -east side (Oak St) of building - SUNY Erie college.

I do not know length of visit - only monitor when I am in the office.

[cid:<image001.jpg...>]

Leane Schultz
Social Science Department
City / 536
121 Ellicott Street,
Buffalo, NY 14203,
P: 716-851-1095

________________________________

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity they are addressed to. This email and its contents may be subject to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act ("FERPA"). It is intended only for the use of the individual(s) named above and privileges attached to the email, if any, are not waived by virtue of this having been sent by electronic transmission. If the person actually receiving this e-mail or any other reader of this e-mail is not the named recipient or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the named recipient, any use, dissemination, distribution, forwarding or copying of any part of the message or its attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete it from your system. Unauthorized use of this material is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

Back to top
Date: 12/28/18 7:19 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: Re: [GeneseeBirds-L] Snowy in the downtown area
Thanks for the information Leane! Is the Snowy still there? Have you taken
notice as to how long it stays there on the Oak St side of the college?
Thanks again!
~~~~ !@! ~~~~
"Our deeds travel with us from afar, and what we have been makes us what we
are" - George Eliot
--------
https://www.facebook.com/sheilakathleenlee
http://sheilak-lee.pixels.com
https://fototakersf.blogspot.com my active blog
www.fototaker.net my foto website

Back to top
Date: 12/28/18 6:59 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: Re: [GeneseeBirds-L] downtown Buffalo-snowy
 that is great . i saw it on a chimney / rooftop on 12/26 . Seneca and Pearl i think . i was viewing from a distance!!

<!--#yiv8874587914 _filtered #yiv8874587914 {font-family:"Cambria Math";panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;} _filtered #yiv8874587914 {font-family:Calibri;panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;} _filtered #yiv8874587914 {font-family:"Helvetica Neue";} _filtered #yiv8874587914 {font-family:"Century Gothic";panose-1:2 11 5 2 2 2 2 2 2 4;} _filtered #yiv8874587914 {font-family:"Bookman Old Style";panose-1:2 5 6 4 5 5 5 2 2 4;}#yiv8874587914 #yiv8874587914 p.yiv8874587914MsoNormal, #yiv8874587914 li.yiv8874587914MsoNormal, #yiv8874587914 div.yiv8874587914MsoNormal {margin:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri", sans-serif;}#yiv8874587914 a:link, #yiv8874587914 span.yiv8874587914MsoHyperlink {color:#0563C1;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv8874587914 a:visited, #yiv8874587914 span.yiv8874587914MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:#954F72;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv8874587914 span.yiv8874587914EmailStyle17 {font-family:"Calibri", sans-serif;color:windowtext;}#yiv8874587914 .yiv8874587914MsoChpDefault {font-family:"Calibri", sans-serif;} _filtered #yiv8874587914 {margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}#yiv8874587914 div.yiv8874587914WordSection1 {}-->Third visit ( 12/18, 12/22, 12/28 ) 9:15a.m. from snowy, sitting on window ledge- east side of building – (Oak Street) SUNY Erie college.
| |   Leane Schultz Social Science Department City / 536 121 Ellicott Street, Buffalo, NY  14203,   P: 716-851-1095
| |

| |

Date: 12/27/18 4:18 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Conesus Lake: Snow Geese
A friend of mine reported seeing a flock of Snow Geese flying over his home near the south end of Conesus Lake yesterday. This evening, about sunset, I saw a large flock (1000+) of Snow Geese in the air well south of where I was along Lakeville-Groveland Rd. near Stapley. We’ll see if they stay in the area for Saturday’s little lakes Christmas bird count.

Jim Kimball
<kimball...>

Back to top
Date: 12/26/18 7:55 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Snowies, Peregrines...
12-16-18, Beaver Island S.P. -
1 Swamp Sparrow
~15 W. Throat
1-2 GH Owl

12-18-18, Erie Basin Marina -
1 Snowy - on Short Wall.

12-19-18, Strickler Rd., Clarence -
1 TV

12-21-18, N end Squaw -
1 Little
~25 Bony (of ~750) w/varying degrees of leftover hood. Interesting in that they were not there in nearly this proportion earlier in yr.

12-22-18, B.I. Pier -
2 Peregrine - ad. pair sitting ~8 posts away near end of cabled portion. Nice eye level view.
4 Snowy - Donnelly's...

12-23-18, N. end Squaw -
~41 of ~500 Bonies w/varying degrees of partial hood. Odder still.

12-24-18, N.end Squaw -
2 Eagle - ad. pair on Strawberry.

12-26-18, Small Boat Harbor -
3 Snowies - on S. Wall...

Peter
<henyoe131...>

Back to top
Date: 12/26/18 1:17 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Conesus Lake: LBB Gull, LT Ducks, Wigeon et al
I stopped by Vitale park this morning, pretty much in time hear hunters opening up and seeing flocks of Canada Geese and others flying out of the area. I drove down to Blue Heron Drive (off the end of Reservoir Rd.) and had a good time, no hunters, and good numbers of ducks drifting by - including some of special interest that we hope will hang around for this Saturday’s Christmas Bird Count.
Birds at Blue Heron Drive with approximate numbers:
Canada Goose 4
Gadwall 4
Am. Wigeon 1
Am. Black Duck 15
Mallard 100
Redhead 1500
Greater Scaup 1 (female)
Long-tailed Duck 3
Bufflehead 60
C. Goldeneye 40
C. Loon 1
Ring-billed Gull 20
Herring Gull 15
Lesser Black-backed Gull 1

I came back by way of Boor Hill, Lakeville-Groveland and Stapley Rds. Birds of interest included 5 or 6 Bluebirds along Boor Hill Rd. and two Ravens over snow covered fields off Stapley Rd. One of the Ravens was down on the field jumping up and down (rather like a fox), I assume trying to find some lunch.

Jim Kimball
<kimball...>

Back to top
Date: 12/20/18 3:57 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Out-of-date Tricolored Heron photo
I apologize for my post yesterday about the Tricolored Heron. Thanks to Greg for checking on the status of the photo and alerting all to its being out-of-date. My wife and I jumped to the wrong conclusion. Yep, a nice bird. But an old photo.

Sent from my iPad

Back to top
Date: 12/19/18 8:14 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: Re: [GeneseeBirds-L] Tricolored Heron along Lake Shore
   Thanks to all for trying to get out an apparent interesting message and then chasing it down and avoiding unnecessary chasing!
Bob
On ‎Wednesday‎, ‎December‎ ‎19‎, ‎2018‎ ‎10‎:‎39‎:‎22‎ ‎PM‎ ‎EST, Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> wrote:

Hi all,
I know the observer, and after contacting him, he mentioned that he took the photo a few years ago. Just a heads up for anyone looking to go chase the bird tomorrow.
Greg

On Dec 19, 2018, at 9:55 PM, Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> wrote:

I will be out along the lakeshore first thing in the morning looking.

Nick <Kachalanicholaskach...>
On Wed, Dec 19, 2018, 9:53 PM Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> wrote:

This is a second-hand report from a Twitter-based friend of my wife. Today, someone who lives on Edgemere Drive near Beattie Beach in Greece posted a picture of a Tricolored Heron seen on the beach today. I don’t know how to access the area, but if someone looks for it and finds it, please post a follow-up.

Bill Maier

Sent from my iPad

Back to top
Date: 12/19/18 7:39 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Hi all,

I know the observer, and after contacting him, he mentioned that he took the photo a few years ago. Just a heads up for anyone looking to go chase the bird tomorrow.

Greg

> On Dec 19, 2018, at 9:55 PM, Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> wrote:
>
> I will be out along the lakeshore first thing in the morning looking.
>
> Nick Kachala
> <nicholaskach...>
>
>> On Wed, Dec 19, 2018, 9:53 PM Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> wrote:
>> This is a second-hand report from a Twitter-based friend of my wife. Today, someone who lives on Edgemere Drive near Beattie Beach in Greece posted a picture of a Tricolored Heron seen on the beach today. I don’t know how to access the area, but if someone looks for it and finds it, please post a follow-up.
>>
>> Bill Maier
>>
>> Sent from my iPad

Back to top
Date: 12/19/18 6:56 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>

<geneseebirds-l...> wrote:

> This is a second-hand report from a Twitter-based friend of my wife.
> Today, someone who lives on Edgemere Drive near Beattie Beach in Greece
> posted a picture of a Tricolored Heron seen on the beach today. I don’t
> know how to access the area, but if someone looks for it and finds it,
> please post a follow-up.
>
> Bill Maier
>
> Sent from my iPad

Back to top

Date: 12/19/18 11:50 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Red-headed Woodpeckers in Durand Park
Judy Slein and I went back to the Horseshoe Road area of Durand Park in search of the three Red-headed Woodpeckers we and Bill Howe encountered during Sunday’s Rochester-area Christmas Bird Count. Today, we found them mid-morning, foraging among the mature oak trees north of the road very close to where it’s blocked to traffic off Kings Highway. (You need to go past the barrier, to the east a bit, and then into the grove). With the birds spread apart and moving constantly, it was tricky to count them, but we are fairly sure there are FOUR of them there. (Definitely three). Perhaps they nested in this very grove this past summer.

Bill Maier

Sent from my iPad