GeneseeBirds-L
Received From Subject
9/21/17 11:45 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Hybrid Canada x Snow Goose?
9/20/17 11:02 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] A few migrants
9/19/17 10:26 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Least Bitterns/east end Dunkirk Harbor
9/19/17 4:19 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> Re: [GeneseeBirds-L] 2017 Montezuma Muckrace - one team's story
9/18/17 7:16 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] 2017 Montezuma Muckrace - one team's story
9/18/17 11:20 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> Re: [GeneseeBirds-L] Spotting scopes
9/18/17 10:58 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> Re: [GeneseeBirds-L] Whimbrel?
9/18/17 10:24 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> Re: [GeneseeBirds-L] Whimbrel?
9/18/17 9:53 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> Re: [GeneseeBirds-L] Whimbrel?
9/18/17 9:04 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Whimbrel?
9/18/17 8:54 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Syracuse RBA addendum
9/18/17 8:24 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Sources of spotting scopes
9/18/17 7:51 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> Re: [GeneseeBirds-L] GeneseeBirds-L Digest, Vol 170, Issue 16
9/18/17 7:48 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> Re: [GeneseeBirds-L] GeneseeBirds-L Digest, Vol 170, Issue 15
9/18/17 3:58 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Spotting Scopes
9/17/17 5:28 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Bird image
9/17/17 1:04 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] spotting scope stores
9/17/17 8:08 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> Re: [GeneseeBirds-L] Buff-breasted Sandpipers; Am. Golden Plovers - Strykersville
9/16/17 9:40 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> Re: [GeneseeBirds-L] Burger Park, Greece
9/16/17 9:12 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Burger Park, Greece
9/16/17 3:45 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Buff-breasted Sandpipers; Am. Golden Plovers - Strykersville
9/16/17 11:41 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Whimbrel, others - Lower Lake Rd X Burgess Rd
9/15/17 2:20 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] NYSOA Conference in Niagara Falls Nov. 10-12
9/15/17 12:18 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Honeoye Black-crowned Night-Heron
9/14/17 4:12 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] RBA Buffalo Bird Report 14 Sep 2017
9/14/17 3:43 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Support the Montezuma Wetlands and our local Young Birders!
9/14/17 11:28 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] still slow
9/14/17 11:01 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Hamlin Beach- West End - 9/14/17
9/14/17 9:03 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Fw: Chaut L outlet
9/13/17 6:45 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] East Spit
9/13/17 6:40 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Cuylerville: Am. Golden Plovers
9/13/17 6:30 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Church Trail and Firehouse Woods
9/13/17 8:16 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] WWebster Park - 9/13
9/13/17 7:09 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] FW: how hurricanes affected birds
9/9/17 1:37 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> Re: [GeneseeBirds-L] same stuff / Whimbrel race
9/9/17 12:44 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> Re: [GeneseeBirds-L] same stuff / Whimbrel race
9/9/17 12:24 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] same stuff
9/9/17 9:07 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Possible Connecticut Warbler Friday, 9-8-17
9/8/17 7:14 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Cuylerville
9/8/17 10:22 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] WHIMBREL Continues: Day 3!
9/8/17 3:35 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Long-billed Dowitcher, others - Ellicott Road
9/7/17 8:59 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Additions to Seaway Slip...
9/6/17 3:26 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] WHIMBREL - Buffalo Waterfront
9/6/17 2:06 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Fly-by Whimbrel - Lower Lake X Burgess Roads
9/6/17 1:49 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Lakeside Beach SP - west end - 9/6/17
9/5/17 5:58 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Montezuma Red-necked Phalarope and more.
9/5/17 1:39 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] BOS Purple Martin Field Trip
9/5/17 8:14 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Braddock Bay East Spit-highlights and access update
9/5/17 4:47 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] ASP bike path
9/4/17 4:44 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] SEOW house up for auction
9/4/17 10:37 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] 7 spcs Warbler & desecrating bike path, "Amherst State Park", Sunday
9/3/17 5:20 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Purple Martins at Batavia Waste Water Treatment Plant
9/1/17 2:52 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Wilson's Phalarope - Batavia WWTP
9/1/17 12:23 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Hamlin Beach SP West End - 9/1 some migrants
8/31/17 7:22 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Peregrine on So. Filmore Ave Bflo
8/31/17 4:52 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Loggerhead Shrike - Times Beach - Buffalo
8/31/17 4:27 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Loggerhead Shrike
8/31/17 1:29 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Ft. Erie... slow shorebirding
8/31/17 1:20 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] American Golden Plovers
8/30/17 12:20 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Ontario Beach and Island Cottage - 8/30 - migrants and interesting FICR/MERL chases at Charlotte
8/29/17 7:23 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Tenneesee Warblers - Olcott
8/29/17 1:47 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] York Chimney Swifts
8/29/17 11:38 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Whimbrel, Warblers
8/29/17 11:23 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Summerville Pier Ruddy Turnstones
8/29/17 10:48 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Ad Lesser Black-backed Gull Ontario Beach
8/28/17 8:44 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Yellow-bellied Flycatcher
8/27/17 7:15 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Baird's Sandpiper and Golden-Plovers in Niagara County
8/26/17 10:07 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Olive-sided Flycatcher - Buffalo
8/25/17 12:22 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Cuylerville, Yellowthroats
8/25/17 9:48 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Hemlock Raptors
8/25/17 8:35 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Buff-breasted Sandpipers
8/25/17 8:03 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Great Egret in York
8/24/17 9:24 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Joel's goodies...
8/24/17 4:55 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] RBA Buffalo Bird Report 24 Aug 2017
8/24/17 1:23 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Buff-breasted Sandpiper and Wilson's Phalaropes in Niagara County
8/24/17 11:59 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Buff-breasted and Baird's Sandpipers + more-Genesee county 23, 24 August
8/24/17 11:59 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Golden-Plovers - Town of Porter, Niagara County

Back to top
Date: 9/21/17 11:45 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Hybrid Canada x Snow Goose?
Forgot to mention a Canada x Snow Goose(?) at the Mosaic property (Canada) on Sunday. I didn't really think much of it at the time... Legs, feet & bill were a sort of light yellow-tan. Head & neck had much white.
<Peterhenyoe131...>

Back to top
Date: 9/20/17 11:02 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] A few migrants
9-19-17 -
the Creek (Am.S.P.) -1 BT Blue Warbler3 Mag1 Chestnut2 Redstart1 Nash1 Y'throatWoodbridge Ave., Buffalo -15+ Swainson's calls at ~5:30am in "descending flight" as I drifted back to sleep.1 Gray Cheek       """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
9-17-17 -Rockhouse (Rock Pt.P.P., Canada) -1 Parula2 BT Green8 B'pol1 BT Blue1 CMay1 Bay1 B'burnian1 Redstart1 Palm1 Yellow6 Killdeer3 Spotty3+ Sanderling & 1 or 2 other spcs. shorebirds too far out to tell for certain on Mohawk Island.Mosaic -~20 Killdeer1 GYlegsHutchinson Rd. (only Killdeer at the other sods) -~8 BB Plover - flew before ruling out any Golden.~30 KilldeerQuarry Rd. -5 BB Plover2 Golden3 GYlegs
9-16-17, Rails to Trails, N. Buffalo (a nice enough nearby place that like anywhere gets rarer things now & then) -1 Parula1 B'pol6 Mag2 Redstart1 Y'thrt~7 Red Eye1 Lincoln's Sparrow1 Merlin

<Peterhenyoe131...>

Back to top
Date: 9/19/17 10:26 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Least Bitterns/east end Dunkirk Harbor
9/19/17  I was quite pleased to see the 2 Least Bitterns, that Gale V. reported near Tim Hortons, this morning at 11:15am.  One was near the reeds on the south side of the inner break wall and the other one was a bit closer on a mat of green weeds.  The sun was shining right on them and highlighting their buffy color.  There was also 1 Belted Kingfisher, 1 American Coot and 1 Pied-billed Grebe in that area.
9/18/17 Tried for the bitterns around 5pm but did not see them.  I did get a great look at an Osprey on the prowl.  It dove into the water and came up with a good-sized fish.  A gull started chasing the Osprey in hopes of stealing a free meal but the Osprey headed off the the SE with the catch in its talons, flying right over Tim Hortons. Carol Hardenburg Portland, NY Chautauqua County
<cjhardenburg...>

Back to top
Date: 9/19/17 4:19 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: Re: [GeneseeBirds-L] 2017 Montezuma Muckrace - one team's story
Thank you for sharing the cool story! Now a days nobody seems to post the results and fun stories of their teams! It is a wonderful event!

Cheers

Meena

Meena Haribal
Ithaca NY 14850
42.429007,-76.47111
http://www.haribal.org/
http://meenaharibal.blogspot.com/
Ithaca area moths: https://plus.google.com/118047473426099383469/posts
Dragonfly book sample pages: http://www.haribal.org/dragonflies/samplebook.pdf

________________________________

Date: 9/18/17 11:20 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: Re: [GeneseeBirds-L] Spotting scopes
Unfortunately there are no local shops carrying a wide variety of scopes to try side by side. The optics alley at the Biggest Week has most manufacturers and their products on display. The scopes are all lined up side by side for comparison in the parking lot. There may be visual targets in the woods across the access road to aid in comparing them. Also there are usually Festival discounts offered. The factory reps are there to discuss the products. If you can wait till spring migration I'd suggest going to The Black Swamp and do a little Birding also. love my Kowa. Cape May fall festival hasn't had the variety. Ask folks you see Birding also.

Kevin Koss

Back to top
Date: 9/18/17 10:58 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: Re: [GeneseeBirds-L] Whimbrel?
This particular often found in tall grass Whimbrel reminds me of what Art Schaffner once said. Something like - "They're not always on the shore ya know, ya sometimes get 'em inland in fields". Makes you wonder how many we've missed... Maybe it'll stay for months like the September - early January Willet did ~10 yrs. ago.

<Peterhenyoe131...>

#yiv1501411974 #yiv1501411974 -- _filtered #yiv1501411974 {panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;} _filtered #yiv1501411974 {font-family:Calibri;panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;} _filtered #yiv1501411974 {font-family:Tahoma;panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;} _filtered #yiv1501411974 {panose-1:2 11 6 3 2 2 2 2 2 4;}#yiv1501411974 #yiv1501411974 p.yiv1501411974MsoNormal, #yiv1501411974 li.yiv1501411974MsoNormal, #yiv1501411974 div.yiv1501411974MsoNormal {margin:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:11.0pt;}#yiv1501411974 a:link, #yiv1501411974 span.yiv1501411974MsoHyperlink {color:#0563C1;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv1501411974 a:visited, #yiv1501411974 span.yiv1501411974MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:#954F72;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv1501411974 p {margin-right:0in;margin-left:0in;font-size:12.0pt;}#yiv1501411974 span.yiv1501411974EmailStyle17 {color:black;}#yiv1501411974 span.yiv1501411974EmailStyle19 {color:#1F497D;}#yiv1501411974 .yiv1501411974MsoChpDefault {font-size:10.0pt;} _filtered #yiv1501411974 {margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}#yiv1501411974 div.yiv1501411974WordSection1 {}#yiv1501411974 Dave, when it’s at the Bell Slip, it could be on the narrow mowed strip between the walkway and the long grass, or in the long grass. I think it may prefer the short grass but it gets pushed by people and dogs. Be sure to also check the grassy fields between the Bell Slip and the next slip to the north, as well as the big parking area near the north slip.  Good luck!Willie D’AnnaWilson, NY  From: <geneseebirds-l-bounces...> [mailto:<geneseebirds-l-bounces...>] On Behalf Of Bird observations from western New York
Sent: Monday, September 18, 2017 12:54 PM
To: <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: Re: [GeneseeBirds-L] Whimbrel?  Dave, we had it yesterday, when it conveniently flew for us. Near the metal sculpture SW of the Bell Slip. Very deep grass so tough to get otherwise. If you don't find it on SW side, you could check the shore of the slip from the other side. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone
On Sep 18, 2017, at 12:04 PM, Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> wrote:
If anyone sees the Buffalo Harbor Whimbrel today I’d love to hear about it. Thanks! Dave Friedrich
    This message may contain confidential information that is protected by the attorney-client privilege or otherwise. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any disclosure, copying, or use of the contents of this message is strictly prohibited. If this message has been received by you in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and delete the original message. Thank you.

Back to top

Dave, we had it yesterday, when it conveniently flew for us. Near the metal
sculpture SW of the Bell Slip. Very deep grass so tough to get otherwise. If
you don't find it on SW side, you could check the shore of the slip from the
other side. Good luck!!

Date: 9/18/17 9:04 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Whimbrel?
If anyone sees the Buffalo Harbor Whimbrel today I'd love to hear about it. Thanks!

Dave Friedrich

In accordance with Internal Revenue Service Circular 230, we advise you that unless otherwise expressly stated, any discussion of a
federal tax issue in this communication or in any attachment is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of avoiding federal tax penalties.

Date: 9/18/17 8:54 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Syracuse RBA addendum
A SEDGE WREN was seen and photographed on 9/13 in Cato, Cayuga County

Back to top
Date: 9/18/17 8:24 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Sources of spotting scopes
Hi I noticed a question of where to buy locally, There is the Bird House on Monroe Ave, a little East of Clover and Rowe Photo has optics. They are on 1737 Mt Hope Ave. I would go there first. Have fun looking.

Robin Salsbury

Back to top
Date: 9/18/17 7:51 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: Re: [GeneseeBirds-L] GeneseeBirds-L Digest, Vol 170, Issue 16
I would encourage you to stop in to The Bird House in Rochester. 3035
Monroe Ave near the large Wegmans. They have a nice display and are quite
knowledgeable. Beyond that they are a local family who cater to birders.

Glenn Miller

Back to top
Date: 9/18/17 7:48 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: Re: [GeneseeBirds-L] GeneseeBirds-L Digest, Vol 170, Issue 15
The Cornell Lab of Ornithology in Ithaca has a birding optics store. That’s the only one I know of.

Jay Greenberg
<conservationist...> <mailto:<conservationist...>
http://www.thegreenjay.com <http://www.thegreenjay.com/thegreenjay.com/index.html>
Rochester, NY

> On Sep 18, 2017, at 3:00 AM, <geneseebirds-l-request...> wrote:
>
> Hi, am considering getting a spotting scope. Haven't had one before, have been reading reviews etc. Something I can carry relatively easily around in the Oak Orchard/Tonawanda/Iroquois refuges. Am looking at things like the little Viper 11-33x50mm, or a Kowa 60mm with one or another of the eyepieces.
>
> My real question is, where are some good stores regionally to actually see a decent variety of spotting scopes? Live in Brockport area, don't mind driving a ways to look. Any suggestions appreciated, thanks.
>
> --
> Charlie Cowling
> Clarkson NY

Back to top
Date: 9/18/17 3:58 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Spotting Scopes

Date: 9/16/17 9:40 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: Re: [GeneseeBirds-L] Burger Park, Greece
Any photos of sedge wrens

On Sep 17, 2017 12:12 AM, "Bird observations from western New York" <
<geneseebirds-l...> wrote:

> Today 9/16/17
> 4+? Sedge Wrens
> 2 Wilson's Snipe
> 1 Sora
> 1 Swamp Sparrow
> 1 Common Yellowthroat
> 1 American Kestrel
>
> Bob Beal

Back to top
Date: 9/16/17 9:12 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Burger Park, Greece
Today 9/16/17
4+? Sedge Wrens
2 Wilson's Snipe
1 Sora
1 Swamp Sparrow
1 Common Yellowthroat
1 American Kestrel

Bob Beal

Back to top
Date: 9/16/17 3:45 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Two Buff-breasted Sandpers and 13 American Golden Plovers continued at the
Perry Road site in Strykersville/Sheldon NY where they were fist reported
by Tim Lenz for Ian Davies et al. and later Doug Beattie this morning.
Wendy and I were there between 2:45 and 3:35 PM. The plovers were very far
back in the field with about 10 Killdeer in the vicinity as well. The
Buff-breasted Sandpipers were closer to the road near a buff (tan) colored
large shed. The nearest address is 777 Perry Road, Strykersville, NY 14145

Mike Zebehazy
​.​

Orchard Park, NY

Back to top
Date: 9/16/17 11:41 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Whimbrel, others - Lower Lake Rd X Burgess Rd
For the third time in 16 days, Betsy and I had a flyover WHIMBREL at Lower
Lake Rd X Burgess Rd eBird hotspot. This seems quite remarkable to me. Only
one of these birds came down and that was only for about ten seconds.
Today's bird flew around for about ten minutes, calling frequently, and gave
good views in the scope before flying off in the direction of the lake. In
the same field with the only puddle that is left, there were 22 AMERICAN
PIPITS and seven AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVERS, the latter flying in while we were
there. There was also a BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER but if it landed, we could not
find it. Other shorebirds here were 19 Killdeer, two SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS,
and one SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER. A BOBOLINK was also heard flying over.

Good birding!

Willie

------------------

Willie D'Anna

Wilson, NY

dannapotterATroadrunner.com

Back to top
Date: 9/15/17 2:20 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] NYSOA Conference in Niagara Falls Nov. 10-12
Hi folks,

This is a heads up that the New York State Birders Conference/New York State
Ornithological Association Annual Meeting will be hosted by the Buffalo
Ornithological Society in Niagara Falls, New York on November 10, 11, and 12
this year. We have two outstanding speakers lined up, a great variety of
field trips, a collection of vendors from optics to art, and what should be
an entertaining and informative papers session. All activities are being
held at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel on the Niagara River rapids, just
above the falls. Folks staying in the hotel receive a special conference
rate and have a great view of the rapids. This really promises to be an
exciting event with some spectacular birding at that time of year.

You can read much more about the conference and even register for it on the
BOS web site: http://www.buffaloornithologicalsociety.org/

You can save $10 on the registration fee by registering before October 1st.
Everyone is welcome!

Good birding!

Willie

------------------

Date: 9/15/17 12:18 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Honeoye Black-crowned Night-Heron
I'm at Sandy Bottom Park and there's a juvenile BCNH at the pond between the park buildings and the marsh. Rare for here.

Bill Howe
Hemlock, NY

Back to top
Date: 9/14/17 4:12 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] RBA Buffalo Bird Report 14 Sep 2017
- RBA
* New York
* Buffalo
* 09/14/2017
* NYBU1709.14
- Birds mentioned

Please submit reports to
<DSuggs...>

[The BOS will be hosting the annual New York
State Ornithological Association Conference
November 10 through 12, in Niagara Falls, New
York. Multiple field trips, speakers,
researchers, vendors, banquets and hotel
discounts are all part of the conference
features. Everyone is invited - learn more and
register on the BOS website.]

LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE
WHIMBREL
Eared Grebe
Great Egret
Black-bellied Plover
Semipalmated Plover
Killdeer
Red Knot
Sanderling
Semipalm. Sandpiper
Least Sandpiper
White-r. Sandpiper
Baird's Sandpiper
Pectoral Sandpiper
Wilson's Phalarope
Common Nighthawk
Olive-s. Flycatcher
Yellow-b. Flycatcher
Swainson's Thrush
Wood Thrush

- Transcript
Hotline: Buffalo Bird Report at the Buffalo Museum of Science
Date: 09/14/2017
Number: 716-896-1271
To Report: Same
Compiler: David F. Suggs
Coverage: Western New York and adjacent Ontario
Website: www.BuffaloOrnithologicalSociety.org

Thursday, September 14, 2017

The Buffalo Bird Report is a service provided
by your Buffalo Museum of Science and the
Buffalo Ornithological Society. To contact the
Science Museum, call 896-5200. Press the pound
key to report sightings before the end of this
message.

Highlights of reports received from late August
through mid-September from the Niagara Frontier
Region.

August 31, a migrant, banded, LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE
at Times Beach Nature Preserve on the Buffalo
waterfront. The LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE is an
endangered species in New York State.

Shorebirds have been another highlight on the
Buffalo waterfront. A WHIMBREL has been
lingering between the Bell and Seaway Slips
along Fuhrmann Blvd since September 5. Other
recent shorebirds in this area included a flyby
BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER, SEMIPALMATED PLOVER,
KILLDEER, SANDERLING, SEMIPALM. SANDPIPER,
WHITE-R. SANDPIPER and BAIRD'S SANDPIPER. On
the Bird Island Pier in Buffalo, RUDDY
TURNSTONE and SANDERLINGS.

Shorebirds continue in the Lake Ontario Plains
of Niagara County. WHIMBREL on two dates at
Lower lake and Burgess Roads in Somerset, and
on Ellicott Road, 12 species included juveniles
of LONG-B. DOWITCHER, SHORT-B. DOWITCHER and
STILT SANDPIPER, plus BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER and
BAIRD'S SANDPIPER.

September 1 at the Batavia Waste Water Plant, a
WILSON'S PHALAROPE. Also, EARED GREBES at the
plant on several dates. Back on August 23, a
juvenile RED KNOT at Dunkirk Harbor on Lake
Erie in Chautauqua County. And at the small
wetland at North Bailey and Ridge Lea in
Amherst, PECTORAL SANDPIPER, LEAST SANDPIPER,
numerous KILLDEER and a GREAT EGRET.

A total of 20 COMMON NIGHTHAWKS this month at
the south end of Beaver Island State Park on
Grand Island, with a maximum of eight on
September 10. Two COMMON NIGHTHAWKS over
Tonawanda on the 2nd.

Warbler migration has been modest - reports of
10 to 12 species at some locations. YELLOW-B.
FLYCATCHER and OLIVE-S. FLYCATCHER at Forest
Lawn in Buffalo. And WOOD THRUSH and SWAINSON'S
THRUSH have been heard during night migration.

The BOS will be hosting the annual New York
State Ornithological Association Conference
November 10 through 12, in Niagara Falls, New
York. Multiple field trips, speakers,
researchers, vendors, banquets and hotel
discounts are all part of the conference
features. Everyone is invited - learn more and
register on the BOS website.

The Bird Report will be updated Thursday
evening, September 21. Please call in your
sightings by noon Thursday. You may report
sightings after the tone. Thank you for calling
and reporting.

- End Transcript

Back to top
Date: 9/14/17 3:43 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Support the Montezuma Wetlands and our local Young Birders!
Tomorrow begins the Montezuma Muckrace, a 24-hour long competition to find
as many bird species as possible on the Montezuma wetlands complex and
raise money to support their conservation and education projects.

Sponsored by the Genesee Valley Audubon Society and the Rochester Birding
Association, the young Birds R Us team consists of 4 young birders from
Rochester, ranging in age from 12-17. For the first time, they will be
competing as adults in the Recreational category rather than as kids in the
Youth category. We think they'll give the grown-ups a run for their money!

You can support the Birds R Us team - or any of the other teams - by
heading to the Muckrace website: http://friendsofmontezuma.org/
projects-programs/muckrace/.

See you at the finish line!

Birds R Us - Nick, Robert, Ty, and Chan

Back to top
Date: 9/14/17 11:28 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] still slow
9-13-17
Tifft -1 Cape May Warbler - the only definite migrant
1 YellowSeaway Slip & wall -12+ Semi Plover2 Sanderling5+ Semi

9-11-17, Woodlawn - others had a few more -
1 Bay Breasted Warbler1 Redstart1 Yellow1 Ten/Orange Crown1 NashvilleSquirrel galloping across grass w/1 young in mouth.
9-10-17, Bond Lake. There's a large state planted beautiful "wild flower" field (mostly Cosmos) planted S. of the main lake w/accompanying sign somewhere "by the pavilion". Also a "large sunflower field at Rt. 31 & Bear that the farmer planted for public enjoyment" -
1 Nashville3+ Yellowthroat - 1 sang very well.
9-9-17, Forest Lawn - these were the only definite migrants -1 YB Flycatcher1 Swainson's Thrush1 Ovenbird
Peter
<henyoe131...>

Back to top
Date: 9/14/17 11:01 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Hamlin Beach- West End - 9/14/17
Hamlin Beach SP - West end woods, Monroe, New York, US
Sep 14, 2017 8:55 AM - 6:55 PMBob Spahn, <rspahn...>
Protocol: Traveling
0.9 mile(s)
Comments:    Walked the usual west end loop counter-clockwise - through the brush and woods, left to the service road, and back the service road to the parking lot. Birds generally hard to find except Blue Jays all over. The Swainson's Thrushes were nearly all on the north path near the old service road cut off, just before the turn toward the service road, and between the service road and westbound LO Prkwy in the sumac area just east of where the trail hits the service road.
23 species

Canada Goose  10
Mourning Dove  1
Eastern Screech-Owl  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  6
Northern Flicker  7
Pileated Woodpecker  2
Blue Jay  14
American Crow  3
Black-capped Chickadee  1
White-breasted Nuthatch  1
Eastern Bluebird  2
Gray-cheeked Thrush  2
Swainson's Thrush  17    This is actually a typical number for this location and date if someone who knows the call notes and wants to count visits. It is right in the midst of the dates for maximum counts for first Swainson's, then Gray-cheeked thrushes at such lakeshore sites or at the BBBO banding station year after year.
  As noted in the intro notes, most of the birds were at three well separated places on this loop. The peak was in the sumacs along the service road, where at one point. after some spishing and screech-owl whistling, I had first one bird give a pert call, then at one point over the next half minute or so of calling had 6 in a sort of arc in front of me calling separated in time and space and with slight variations in pitch making counting easy plus another bird behind me across the road.
American Robin  12
Gray Catbird  11
European Starling  2
Hooded Warbler  2
American Redstart  1
Magnolia Warbler  1
Northern Cardinal  10
Rose-breasted Grosbeak  1
Common Grackle  1
American Goldfinch  1

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39177100

Back to top
Date: 9/14/17 9:03 am
Date: 9/13/17 6:45 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] East Spit
The East Spit, always a favorite of mine, is now even a cooler place to hang out. Next time, I'm considering bringing a chair and a picnic lunch. And I'm taking bets now on the high count of Purple Sandpipers that we'll find there this fall and Snowy Owls come winter...

Seriously, folks, if you haven't been there since the Army Corps of Engineers finished working, you're missing a REALLY nice place to bird.

Pat Martin

>Braddock Bay--East Spit, Monroe, New York, US
>Sep 13, 2017 11:50 AM - 1:50 PM
>Protocol: Traveling
>0.7 mile(s)
>Comments: Nice to run into Jay, Monica and Dick Horsey. Dick had had a Willet, which didn't stick around.
>19 species
>
>Mute Swan 4
>Mallard 14
>Double-crested Cormorant 16
>Great Blue Heron 2
>Great Egret 1
>Bald Eagle 1
>Black-bellied Plover 1
>Semipalmated Plover 2
>Ruddy Turnstone 1
>Least Sandpiper 1
>Greater Yellowlegs 1 flew in, calling
>Bonaparte's Gull 7
>Ring-billed Gull 50
>Herring Gull 14
>Caspian Tern 8
>Belted Kingfisher 4
>Black-capped Chickadee 1
>Common Yellowthroat 2
>Song Sparrow 3
>
>View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39167190
>
>This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (http://ebird.org)

Back to top
Date: 9/13/17 6:40 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Cuylerville: Am. Golden Plovers
I counted 14 American Golden Plovers this evening in a plowed and leveled
field along Barratt Rd., near Jones Bridge Rd., SE of Cuylerville (west of
the Genesee) - also a few Horned Larks.

Jim Kimball
<kimball...>

Back to top
Date: 9/13/17 6:30 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Church Trail and Firehouse Woods
Not a particularly birdy day on Church Trail, but I wanted to report that Church Trail is dry and has been for at least a couple of weeks now. The trail itself is in remarkably good shape, although there are parts that will probably need some wood chips before next spring. Of note, the species that seemed hardest hit by the prolonged flooding is the non-native honeysuckle. Its above-ground parts are devoid of leaves. Most everything else is looking OK.

I poked my head into Firehouse Woods a couple of days ago. There the trails are a step or two away from being completely walkable; I would have been able to navigate them entirely if I had been wearing wellies. Like Church, most vegetation seems to have survived the flooding except for the honeysuckle. But the front vernal pool is filled with water that looks suspiciously gray and reeks of raw sewage. So the place is not ready for prime time.

Pat Martin

Date: 9/13/17 8:16 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] WWebster Park - 9/13
    Seemed like a good migration day, but with many birds still arriving or moving very close to the lakeshore at 9:45 when we needed to head home.Bob & Sue Spahn, <rspahn...>
Webster Park--Campground area, Monroe, New York, US
Sep 13, 2017 8:15 AM - 9:45 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.9 mile(s)
Comments:    Sue and I did one of our relatively short walks from the parking lot across from Kanatota Lodge over to and in the camping road, then counter-clockwise around the "brush loop" on the west side of that road and back up the camping road and open field to the car. The long time for that short a walk was for lots of spishing and screech-owl whistling at several points.
    Clearly birds were moving today, but small birds were hard to find in the dense foliage. Did have great looks a few interesting birds. Back at the parking lot it was clear that lots of birds were just coming down and/or moving along the lake very close to the lake. This accounts for some of the higher numbers, especially of Am. Robin.
29 species (+1 other taxa)

Ring-billed Gull  1
Mourning Dove  2
Eastern Screech-Owl  5
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  9
Downy Woodpecker  5
Hairy Woodpecker  2
Northern Flicker  3
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Philadelphia Vireo  2
Red-eyed Vireo  3
Blue Jay  19
American Crow  14
Black-capped Chickadee  16
Tufted Titmouse  2
Red-breasted Nuthatch  8
White-breasted Nuthatch  7
House Wren  1
Carolina Wren  5
Veery  1
Swainson's Thrush  3
American Robin  48
Gray Catbird  31
Cedar Waxwing  1
Orange-crowned Warbler  1    This is on the early side, but approaching the start of the interquartile range for arrival. It was a very gray individual seen at very close range as it moved about in a pine. No wingbars. faint supercilium and dark line through the eye with eye arcs, not eyering, and with faint blurry streaks on the side of the breast and flanks.
Hooded Warbler  3
warbler sp. (Parulidae sp.)  5
White-throated Sparrow  1
Northern Cardinal  24
American Goldfinch  15

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39158336

Back to top
Date: 9/13/17 7:09 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] FW: how hurricanes affected birds

https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/climate-weather/stories/hurricanes-bird-migration-patterns-food-sources

Back to top
Date: 9/9/17 1:37 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: Re: [GeneseeBirds-L] same stuff / Whimbrel race
Sue &...
According to Sibley it is. Apparently there was a "non-local" that flew past Toronto in May of 2016. So maybe next time...

Peter

On Saturday, September 9, 2017 3:44 PM, Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> wrote:

<!--#yiv5329046704 _filtered #yiv5329046704 {font-family:Helvetica;panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4;} _filtered #yiv5329046704 {font-family:"Cambria Math";panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;} _filtered #yiv5329046704 {font-family:Calibri;panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}#yiv5329046704 #yiv5329046704 p.yiv5329046704MsoNormal, #yiv5329046704 li.yiv5329046704MsoNormal, #yiv5329046704 div.yiv5329046704MsoNormal {margin:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman", serif;}#yiv5329046704 a:link, #yiv5329046704 span.yiv5329046704MsoHyperlink {color:#0563C1;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv5329046704 a:visited, #yiv5329046704 span.yiv5329046704MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:#954F72;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv5329046704 span.yiv5329046704EmailStyle17 {font-family:"Calibri", sans-serif;color:#1F497D;}#yiv5329046704 span.yiv5329046704EmailStyle18 {font-family:"Calibri", sans-serif;color:windowtext;}#yiv5329046704 .yiv5329046704MsoChpDefault {font-size:10.0pt;} _filtered #yiv5329046704 {margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}#yiv5329046704 div.yiv5329046704WordSection1 {}-->Hi Peter and all,  I believe the Whimbrel would be of the American race due to a darker tail and back.  I got two “landing” photos of the bird that expose its back and tail when it was returning from the rocky shore after it had been flushed by a rollerblader.  I just uploaded the photos to a Flickr album here:  https://flic.kr/s/aHsm7y7eVQ.  Let me know if you agree,~ SueSue Barth
Orchard Park, NY
E: <suebarth...>
Mobile/Text:  716-474-3657

Date: 9/9/17 12:44 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Hi Peter and all,

I believe the Whimbrel would be of the American race due to a darker tail and back. I got two “landing” photos of the bird that expose its back and tail when it was returning from the rocky shore after it had been flushed by a rollerblader. I just uploaded the photos to a Flickr album here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsm7y7eVQ.

Let me know if you agree,

~ Sue

Sue Barth
Orchard Park, NY
E: <mailto:<suebarth...> <suebarth...>
Mobile/Text: <tel:(716)%20474-3657> 716-474-3657
My Blog: <http://www.chirpsandcheeps.com/> http://www.ChirpsAndCheeps.com
Flickr: <http://www.flickr.com/photos/suebarth/> http://www.flickr.com/photos/suebarth/

Date: 9/9/17 9:07 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Possible Connecticut Warbler Friday, 9-8-17
Sorry for the late posting. I had possible Connecticut Warbler (Mourning
is another possibility) in Forest Lawn yesterday afternoon around 1:00 pm.
Warbler with dull back and yellow belly - low to the ground - I was able to
see it for perhaps 3 second at most.

The bird was at the top of Warbler Ridge - I only had a few minutes to bird
while on my lunch break, so was unable to relocate.

I did have the following warblers:

1 Black-and-White
1 Bay-breasted
1 Magnolia
1 Canada

Joe Fell

Buffalo, NY
<jfell2000...>

Back to top
Date: 9/8/17 7:14 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Cuylerville
An interesting little mix of birds in the brush and weeds along Jones
Bridge Rd. between Barratt and the Genesee River this afternoon: Indigo
Bunting, Wood-Pewee, American Redstart and lots of Sparrows - Field,
Chipping, Savannah and Song, including several juveniles; also a Raven
calling.

Jim Kimball
<kimball...>

Back to top
Date: 9/8/17 10:22 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] WHIMBREL Continues: Day 3!
Hi all,

Amazingly, the Whimbrel at the Buffalo Outer Harbor continues into Day #3. After Bruce Hoover re-found and reported it this morning, the Whimbrel went MIA for a few hours when flushed by a couple of young Red Foxes. It finally reappeared around 10:30 – again, in the grassy area between the service road and Fuhrman Blvd – closer to the Seaway Slip rather than the Bell Slip.

The Baird’s Sandpiper(s) appear to have left, being replaced by a single White-rumped Sandpiper that Dean Di’Tommaso (and Peter Y) saw yesterday. There were a few Semipalmated Sandpipers this morning along with quite a few (16) Semipalmated Plovers. I also had a Black-bellied Plover flyover at the Bell Slip and another unknown shorebird at the Seaway Slip.

Good birding to all!

Date: 9/8/17 3:35 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Long-billed Dowitcher, others - Ellicott Road
Yesterday afternoon at the eBird hot spot, Ellicott Road (Niagara County), I
found a juvenile LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER with a juv. SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER at
first and a little later, after the SB disappeared (hiding in the back, I
think), with a juv STILT SANDPIPER. Also here among the 12 species of
shorebirds were one BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER and one BAIRD'S SANDPIPER
(right/west side in the drier area). eBird checklist:

Good birding!

Willie

------------------

Date: 9/7/17 8:59 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Additions to Seaway Slip...
9-7-17 - "Buffalo Seaway Slip" - note most ebirders map markers indicate at the NE end of the slip but  they should be at the large open area on the SE side - 25 Semi Plover1+ Killdeer8+ Sanderling, out on wall.5 Semi2 W Rump3 Night Heron
9-6-17, Forest Lawn, a quick look -
1 Swainson's Thrush - a few heard last night.
9-5-17, Bird Island Pier (lesser spcs & #s on 6th) -1 Turnstone, out on Donnelly's Pier.~15 Sanderling1 Spotty~8 Semi
<Peterhenyoe131...>

Back to top
Date: 9/6/17 3:26 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] WHIMBREL - Buffalo Waterfront
Another WHIMBREL came to WNY this morning. Around 8:30 AM, I saw a Whimbrel come to - and land - at the eBird Hotspot, Buffalo Outer Harbor, Seaway Slip. The last report I saw was about 11 AM where it was reported to have moved a little southward to the Bell Slip. 19 SEMI-PALMATED SANDPIPERS, 4 SANDERLINGS, and a peep were also present at the time of the Whimbrel.

This location has been pretty active, despite the disturbance of joggers, dog walkers, unleashed dogs, rollerbladers, drone fliers, etc… A few other recent sightings from this important rest stop I’ve had were:

Sunday evening, September 3rd – 2 BAIRD’s SANDPIPERS

August 12th and 15th - 1 and 3 WILLET, respectively

August 14th - a beautiful BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER

I wish we could protect this little piece of habitat that attracts these migrating birds.

Oh, also of note, I had two AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVERS down in a farm field in Langford on Monday.

Photos of the Whimbrel are included in my eBird Checklist: https://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39030477

Checklist with the Baird’s Sandpipers: https://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38984065

Checklist with the Black-bellied Plover: https://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38639340

Checklist with the single Willet: https://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38603094

Good birding and protect our lake shore!

Date: 9/6/17 2:06 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Fly-by Whimbrel - Lower Lake X Burgess Roads
This afternoon at the eBird hotspot, Lower Lake Rd X Burgess Rd, I first
heard, then saw, a WHIMBREL flying by, heading east. Unlike the Whimbrel
that Betsy and I saw here on August 29th, this one did not land. Just a few
Killdeer, both yellowlegs, and a juvenile STILT SANDPIPER in the puddle on
the north side of Lower Lake Road.

Good birding!

Willie

------------------

Date: 9/6/17 1:49 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Lakeside Beach SP - west end - 9/6/17
    Interesting loop around the west end of the park with Don Bemont. Nothing super special. Quite a few migrants in the brush and not very responsive to spishing, etc., so hard to find in the dense foliage we have this fall. Also quite a few small flocks overhead headed south off the lake, likely new arrivals. A surprise was the number of Red-headed Woodpeckers calling and moving around in the wooded areas to the very west end of the park and beyond. Also, a surprising number of Brown Thrashers.
Lakeside Beach SP--west end, Orleans, New York, US
Sep 6, 2017 8:10 AM - 11:10 AMDon Bemont & Bob Spahn, <rspahn...>
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Comments:    Don Bemont and I met at the day-use parking lot. We walked through the picnic area to the lake, west along the lake to the west end, then into the brush and along trails and the edge of a stream back to the frisbee course and again through the brush to the road back toward the pond, but then turned back to the parking area due to time constraints.
    Quite a few birds moving and in the brush, but they did not respond well to spishing, whistling, and hooting and often were quickly lost in the dense foliage of this late summer. Still a good walk and a decent bird list. Very quiet out over the lake.
    Interestingly, Red-headed Woodpecker was found near the parking lot, as usual, but also several were seen and heard way to the west end of the park.
46 species (+1 other taxa)

Canada Goose  2
Double-crested Cormorant  82
Ring-billed Gull  7
Herring Gull  4
Mourning Dove  3
Eastern Screech-Owl  2
Chimney Swift  2
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  1
Belted Kingfisher  2
Red-headed Woodpecker  6    This was a surprise. Usually there is the 1-3 birds near the parking lot, but as we got toward the west end, there were more birds off to the west calling and others flew over headed west. This number is an attempt to count and to avoid double counting.
Red-bellied Woodpecker  7
Downy Woodpecker  4
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  9
Pileated Woodpecker  2
Eastern Wood-Pewee  6
Willow Flycatcher  1
Eastern Phoebe  2
Great Crested Flycatcher  2
Yellow-throated Vireo  1
Warbling Vireo  2
Red-eyed Vireo  9
Blue Jay  4
American Crow  4
Black-capped Chickadee  12
Tufted Titmouse  2
White-breasted Nuthatch  6
Eastern Bluebird  10
Swainson's Thrush  3
American Robin  29
Gray Catbird  18    With this length walk in the brushy areas of this park at this time of year this should be considered an expected number and is a conservative count. With our doing some talking as we walked, I'm sure I missed writing down some birds for each of the higher counts.
Brown Thrasher  7    Again a minor surprise. We had three birds together in the brush way toward the west end, then back near the service road that heads back toward the pond we had several in the brush close to use with at least 4 clearly separable at one time and possibly a slightly higher number present. Likely again family groups.
European Starling  2
Cedar Waxwing  9
Tennessee Warbler  1
Common Yellowthroat  1
Hooded Warbler  6    Again, this is NOT a high count for this area at this date with the length of this walk and the habitats covered. This represents individuals heard giving "tink" calls and in one case singing at points widely enough separated or individuals heard at one time in different directions from a single spot to be different and all tallied at the rime of noting.
American Redstart  1
Pine Warbler  1
warbler sp. (Parulidae sp.)  18    This makes little sense as a flagged item. It simply represents the fact that there were quite a few warbler chips in the brush and birds moving overhead that were not seen or heard well enough or long enough to Id other than as warblers. This is an estimate of the number and level of frustration at times.
    In dealing with records later for summarizing the season, the fact is interesting, the "record" a delete.
Song Sparrow  3
Eastern Towhee  1
Northern Cardinal  14
Rose-breasted Grosbeak  6
Eastern Meadowlark  2
Baltimore Oriole  1
American Goldfinch  58

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39037457

Back to top
Date: 9/5/17 5:58 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Montezuma Red-necked Phalarope and more.
This afternoon Dominic Sherony and a I visited the Martens Tract overlook for the previously reported Red-necked and Wilson's Phalaropes seen as recently as this am. We found the Red-necked but no Wilson's. The water level was up a lot from the day before and birds were leaving as we watched. 1 Stilt and 1 White-rumped Sandpiper were the remaining highlights. A Merlin passing through twice didn't help. An American Bittern flushed from the grasses along the dike to the east.
On to the main pool. The visitor center "pond" had been partially plowed and is waiting for water. The highlight along the first leg of the wildlife drive was the 24(at least) Bald Eagles perched on just about every snag along the river. This combined with 15 more at Knox-Marcellus marsh was amazing. We did not scan nesting sites and only saw 1 adult so many more out there somewhere. The main pool had good numbers of American Wigeon newly added to the couple hundred Coot.
Benning Marsh had good habitat with 1 White-rumped and several Stilt sandpipers giving close views. Along the thruway a Peregrine Falcon harassed a Harrier then failed at a pass at a small flock of Peep overhead.
The north end of Knox-Marcellus marsh was very birdy! The water was up a lot from the weekend and waterfowl numbers were back up to earlier numbers but with greater numbers of Am. Wigeon and Northern Pintail joining the increasing Teal and Mallard numbers. Lesser Yellowlegs and Pectoral Sandpiper groups arrived and left as we watched. We found another Red- necked Phalarope for the highlight but lost it in the Eagle caused shuffles. Great habitat so it should be a great spot with the upcoming weather changes. Dominic has entered ebird checklists. Mike Tetlow

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 9/5/17 1:39 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] BOS Purple Martin Field Trip
Hello fellow birders,

On Saturday September 9 at 6:45 PM, the Buffalo Ornithological Society and the NYS Purple Martin Project are leading our 7th Annual Purple Martin Fall Roost Site Field Trip. The event is at Buckhorn Island State Park on Grand Island, NY.

Meet at the large parking lot on East-West Park Rd. Thousands of martins typically congregate before going to roost in the reed bed in the Niagara River. Join us and see this exciting event! Please come and hear the latest news on protecting the Grass Island where the martins roost.

Directions: For people coming from points south: take the Long Road exit on the northbound 190. This exit will take you to Grand Island Blvd. Turn left and drive 100 feet or so to the 4-way stop. This is the intersection of Long Rd and Grand Island Blvd. At this 4-way stop, turn right onto Long Rd. Take Long Rd all the way to Baseline and turn left onto Baseline. Take Baseline to East River Rd and turn left. Find the large parking lot on the north side of East River Rd.

A non-strenuous, short walk is required. NOTE: There are no restroom facilities available at Buckhorn Island State Park. Leader Celeste Morien (585) 721-8202; <celeste.morien...>

Back to top
Date: 9/5/17 8:14 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Braddock Bay East Spit-highlights and access update
Hi all,
While many folks have heard about some highlights at the east spit of Braddock Bay over the past week via other media, I don't think any highlights made it onto Geneseebirds.  Highlights include a RED KNOT I found on Wednesday 8/30.  The bird continued to be seen the following days and was reported to ebird as of yesterday.  I had 8 shorebird species there that day including BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS and RUDDY TURNSTONES.  Full list is here: https://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38908752
On Saturday, 9/2, Andy Guthrie found a WHIMBREL here, the continuing RED KNOT, and 2 BLACK TERNS.  Looking at recent reports, the WHIMBREL did not stick around but folks have continued to report the BLACK TERNS along with other shorebirds.
The spit has been closed off since last year due to the construction of the new barrier beach at the mouth of the bay, and an emergent wetland near the existing cattail marsh.  Due to the high lake levels this year, construction was halted.  The spit was to officially open to the public on October 1, but I was notified that the crews will be opening the gate and taking down fencing in the next day or so.  Thus, the spit is now OPEN for public access. The habitat looks great for shorebirds, ducks, gulls etc. so this will be a great spot this fall!
Greg Lawrence

Back to top
Date: 9/5/17 4:47 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] ASP bike path
Peter,

I agree, the bike path being built in Amherst State Park is an abomination, going right through one of the wild areas of the park.

Whoever designed this has no feel for being outdoors.

Scott

Scott T. Meier, Ph.D.
Professor
Counseling, School, & Educational Psychology
Graduate School of Education
University at Buffalo

Back to top
Date: 9/4/17 4:44 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] SEOW house up for auction
Fellow birders, the house at 3137 Taft rd. in Bloomfield (right around the corner from Sand rd.) that has been vacant for several years is going up for auction as a foreclosure. This is the house where short-eared owls can often be observed well during the winter. I've often thought about looking into what the status of it was and if it could be purchased at a reasonable price. I've parked in the end of the driveway before just to get off the road and often thought that if I owned it I would let birders park there & use the property for viewing. The house was built in 2004 & has 5 acres. Auction is at the Ontario Co. courthouse 10am, 9/14. Go to Zillow & type in address to view particulars. Just thought I'd put it out there for anyone who may have been thinking along the same lines as I was :-)
I know this listserve isn't meant for real estate but I figured this is a potentially great opportunity for someone who enjoys birds and especially SEOW's.
Kyle Gage
Canandaigua

Back to top
Date: 9/4/17 10:37 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] 7 spcs Warbler & desecrating bike path, "Amherst State Park", Sunday
9-3-17, the Creek (Am.SP - entertaining pool party of 4 Redstart & 2 Magnolia simultaneously in ~3-4 square foot area of series of very small/tiny pools made by deer) -2 Magnolia Warbler1 Canada2 Chestnut1 Bay5-6 Redstart1 Ten1b Mourning - poor view but several distinctive calls. Same spot that Sal & Jim had one 2 yrs. (falls) ago - near creek ~75' E. of rivulet that borders the W. side of field on SW. side of creek. Do they nest hear?
1 Osprey
Do we really need a wide bike path from Reist St. (cutting through nice thick stuff & through above field) to the wood bridge?!?!? HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!! IS IT LEGAL?!?!?!?!?!?!?! I understand there was an agreement w/the Catholic church (former owners who gave it or sold it to NY State at a fire sale price to keep it totally wild. Simple foot paths are fine!!!!!!!! Can we stop the "construction" (ruination/abomination) & just let the already bulldozed area heal?! This is yet one more example of "often simplest is best" being totally ignored!!!!! Isn't there plenty of infrastructure... work needed in Williamsville/Amherst/NYS!?!?!?! These are only a few thoughts that come to mind!!!!

Peter <Yoerghenyoe131...>

Back to top
Date: 9/3/17 5:20 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Purple Martins at Batavia Waste Water Treatment Plant
The final results on the Buffalo Ornithological Society Gourd Rack at Batavia this year are as follows. This is the third year for the gourd rack and the first year with a full 24 gourds. Weekly monitoring started on 4/27 and finished on 8/8. Excellent year!

Nests: 24
Nests fledging young: 23
Eggs: 137
Hatched: 104
Fledged: 89

Celeste Morien
Medina, New York
<celeste.morien...>

Back to top
Date: 9/1/17 2:52 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Wilson's Phalarope - Batavia WWTP
I saw a Wilson's Phalarope at Batavia WWTP (I think the bird may have been
reported by Mike Gullo). It offered very good views from the car.

Earlier in the day I had a Merlin and a Kestrel just north of Woodlawn on
Route 5. At Woodlawn I had at least 4 Cape May and 1 Philadelphia Vireo.

I did not see the shrike today, but many others seem to have been able to
view this exception bird first found by Shelly Seidman.

Joe Fell

Buffalo NY

<jfell2000...>

Back to top
Date: 9/1/17 12:23 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Hamlin Beach SP West End - 9/1 some migrants
  Hamlin Beach SP - West end woods, Monroe, New York, USBob Spahn, <rspahn...>
Sep 1, 2017 9:00 AM - 10:10 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.8 mile(s)
Comments:    After a very slow half hour at the lakewatch, a walk in the usual west end loop, usual counter clockwise walk. Most birds were in the first 100 yds or so entering the brushy stretch and then back on the service road headed back toward the car, with the birds in the "hedgerow" between the service road and the parkway. Some signs of migrants, but still SLOW.
25 species (+1 other taxa)

Canada Goose  1
Red-tailed Hawk  2
Mourning Dove  1
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  2
Red-bellied Woodpecker  5
Downy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  3
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Eastern Wood-Pewee  7
Least Flycatcher  1
Philadelphia Vireo  1
Red-eyed Vireo  5
Blue Jay  4
Black-capped Chickadee  4
Eastern Bluebird  1
American Robin  4
Gray Catbird  25
Brown Thrasher  1
Common Yellowthroat  2
Hooded Warbler  4
Bay-breasted Warbler  1
Black-throated Blue Warbler  2
Yellow-rumped Warbler  2
warbler sp. (Parulidae sp.)  2
Northern Cardinal  10
American Goldfinch  11

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38939476

Back to top
Date: 8/31/17 7:22 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Peregrine on So. Filmore Ave Bflo
Heard & saw a peregrine on the belfry of St Stanislaus RC Church at Filmore
& Pekham Ave. at around 9 PM, Thu 8/31. After calling persistently for
several minutes it flew from the belfry and didn't call again.

Carl Mrozek, <eagleye11...>

Back to top
Date: 8/31/17 4:52 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Loggerhead Shrike - Times Beach - Buffalo
Shelley Seidman found a Loggerhead Shrike at Times Beach Nature Preserve in
Buffalo. The bird was moving about a bit - during the time I was there it
was anywhere from ground level to about 40'. Others who were able to view
the bird included Joshua Ketry, Kevin Rybczynski and Becky Harbison.

The bird is banded - perhaps this will indicate the bird's origin (quite
likely one of the Carden Alvar or Napanee Plain in ON)

Times Beach is just south of downtown Buffalo on Furhman Blvd - best of
luck for anyone looking tomorrow.

Joe Fell

Buffalo, NY
716.239.1508
<jfell2000...>

Back to top
Date: 8/31/17 4:27 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Loggerhead Shrike
 I had a Loggerhead Shrike...  banded no less . at Times Beach Nature Preserve this afternoon .. relocated it once for Josh Ketry to get a glimpse ...  others trying to re-locate it .. photos in my ebird list . what a beautiful bird!!!

eBird Checklist – Times Beach, New York – Thu Aug 31, 2017 – 23 species

| |
eBird Checklist – Times Beach, New York – Thu Aug 31, 2017 – 23 species
The premier destination for birding on the Web. | |

Back to top
Date: 8/31/17 1:29 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Ft. Erie... slow shorebirding
8-30-17, checked from the fort to Windmill Pt. Highlights -Bird Island Pier -
3 TurnstoneKraft Rd. -
1 OspreyBuffalo Rd. - small but nice "mudflat" was best concentrated habitat -11+ Semi Plover - some still territorial.3+ Killdeer2 Spotty3 SemiQuarry Rd., needs rain -
2 Semi Plover2 Killdeer
8-25-17, Creek (Am.S.P.) -1+ Magnolia Warbler
2+ Chestnut2+ Redstart1 Wilson's1 Y Throat1 Nighthawk
(8-26-17, both Woodbridge & Shirley Ave. - finally the loud clicking song of a Greater Angle Wing Katydid. The rasp call has been heard a few times for ~a month.
Also a white fawn at Forest Lawn in addition to Joe's 1-2 Olive Sideds.)

<Peterhenyoe131...>

Back to top
Date: 8/31/17 1:20 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] American Golden Plovers
Hi all,

There are 126+ American Golden Plovers in a recently plowed field on Bridge Road, Elba west of Transit Road. The birds are up on a rise west of some ditch digging work. Thanks to Steve Taylor who found these birds earlier today!

Good luck if you go!

Celeste Morien
Medina, New York
<celeste.morien...>

Back to top
Date: 8/30/17 12:20 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Ontario Beach and Island Cottage - 8/30 - migrants and interesting FICR/MERL chases at Charlotte
Ontario Beach and Piers, Monroe, New York, USBob & Sue Spahn, <rspahn...>
Aug 30, 2017 8:35 AM - 9:25 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.3 mile(s)
Comments:    This will include watching an interesting FICR/MERL interaction from where we parked the car to walking out to the Charlotte Pier just past water's edge and scanning the beach on the west side and then the Summerville Pier and back to car.
    As we entered the parking lot, we noticed a chase off to the NW part of the big Ontario Beach parking lot - small falcon chasing a Fish Crow. There were 5 Fish Crows lined up on the street lights along the north edge of the northern entrance to the lot from Lake Ave. After we parked toward the NE part of the lot we looked back and saw continuing off and on chases. First the falcon, now ID'd as an imm. Merlin, chasing a Fish Crow, then the crow or other crows chasing the Merlin. The Merlin was clearly more agile in the air and would dive at the crows, but crows would end up on the Merlin's tail at times. Another twist was that a 6th Fish Crow would appear at times, identifiable by large white areas on the leading edges of both wings. When present, the Merlin seemed to prefer to chase this bird and that crow never managed to become a chaser of the Merlin. We watched for nearly 10 minutes, with breaks when all seemed to perch briefly. It seemed almost like they were just testing their skills or having fun, not really intent on any catching the other.
17 species (+1 other taxa)

Double-crested Cormorant  90
Killdeer  2
Ruddy Turnstone  2
Sanderling  5
Baird's Sandpiper  2
Semipalmated Sandpiper  6
Bonaparte's Gull  20
Ring-billed Gull  3000    This is a typical count for this area at this date. The birds blanketed the beach from near the piers to the west end and mid-beach to near the water plus lots on the Summerville pier. It is a conservative combination of counting blocks and estimating. Not much human disturbance yet on this day.
Herring Gull  50
Great Black-backed Gull  25
Caspian Tern  30
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon)  12
Mourning Dove  2
Merlin  1
American Crow  1
Fish Crow  7    Again, this is a typical count for this location and an actual count other than deciding to not add birds in the park and on the beach later in the visit when we could not verify the birds out in the lot still there. That group was still among the restaurants on Lake Ave near the parking lot entrance when we left.
    The lone Am. Crow was as we walked out near the pier and NE part of the parking lot and totally separated from the FICR's present and calling.
warbler sp. (Parulidae sp.)  1
House Sparrow  8

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38907580

Island Cottage Woods - Lake Plains side, Monroe, New York, USBob & Sue Spahn, <rspahn...>
Aug 30, 2017 9:40 AM - 10:40 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.5 mile(s)
Comments:    We drove to the Lake Plains side of island Cottage Woods and eventually walked the short loop trail on that end clockwise. At first, it was VERY QUIET, except for birds right close to where we parked. Later on the loop, almost back to the start, another small flurry of activity.  I tried lots of spishing and quite a bit of screech-owl whistling with generally not much response. Finally did have a screech-owl start calling and at times it seemed like there might be a second, but never totally certain. At least a few migrant warblers and Blue-headed Vireo.
23 species

Canada Goose  1
Mourning Dove  1
Eastern Screech-Owl  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  3
Downy Woodpecker  2
Northern Flicker  3
Eastern Wood-Pewee  4
Blue-headed Vireo  1    This is an early fall date for the location. We were alerted to it by it's snarly call when I was whistling and a brief look confirmed Blue-headed and not Yellow-throated. I'm not sure I can safely separate that call they both give without a look, though in some cases location can help.
Warbling Vireo  1
Red-eyed Vireo  4
Blue Jay  1
American Crow  3
Black-capped Chickadee  5
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
American Robin  18
Gray Catbird  9
Magnolia Warbler  1
Bay-breasted Warbler  3    This is in the middle of the interquartile range of their fall migration arrival and they have been banding some at BBBO for over a week now. We had good looks at all and two of the three had enough bay color on the flanks to make ID really easy.
Northern Cardinal  7
Baltimore Oriole  1
Red-winged Blackbird  2
Common Grackle  8
American Goldfinch  23

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38907892

Back to top
Date: 8/29/17 7:23 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Tenneesee Warblers - Olcott
With special thanks to Willie D'Anna for an ID confirmation of this species,
it is a first for me to add to my Warbler life list over many years of
birding. I wanted to share and document my sighting at this location today
with fellow birders on the forum with the photos in the album below.

Kind regards,

Jonathan J. Weber

<spiritridge...>

Olcott, NY - Niagara County

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm7zRJi8

http://www.avg.com

Back to top
Date: 8/29/17 1:47 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] York Chimney Swifts
There were 300+ Chimney Swifts swirling about and then entering the York
Central School chimney last night - starting right about sunset and
continuing for about 20 minutes. This is in Geigsville NY along Rte. 63
just east of Rte. 36.

Jim Kimball
<kimball...>

Back to top
Date: 8/29/17 11:38 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Whimbrel, Warblers
Betsy and I checked the Lower Lake Road X Burgess Road hotspot early this
morning and had a WHIMBREL calling while flying over. It actually landed
very briefly in the plowed field before taking off and flying toward the
lake while calling. Shorebirds in the puddle were: 6 Semi. Plover, 2
Killdeer, 5 Least Sand, 30 Semi. Sand, and 4 Lesser Yellowlegs. We also
heard a Greater Yellowlegs.

At Golden Hill SP, we had ten species of warblers, including one MOURNING
and two BLUE-WINGEDS. Other birds of note were BROWN THRASHER and PURPLE
FINCH.

Good birding!

Willie

------------------

Date: 8/29/17 11:23 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Summerville Pier Ruddy Turnstones
There are currently 22 Ruddy Turnstones, 4 Sanderlings and 4 Semi-sands on the Summerville Pier. Mike Tetlow

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 8/29/17 10:48 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Ad Lesser Black-backed Gull Ontario Beach
There is a beautiful adult Lesser Black/backed Gull on the beach at the west end.

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 8/28/17 8:44 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Yellow-bellied Flycatcher
I had 1 Yellow-bellied Flycatcher at South Park in south Buffalo this morning. The bird was in the shrubby border near the western end of the lake.

Joe Fell
Buffalo, NY

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 8/27/17 7:15 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Baird's Sandpiper and Golden-Plovers in Niagara County
Good morning,
Early this morning I did a quick circuit to check the Lower Lake Rd X Burgess Rd. Fields and Ellicott Rd. eBird hotspots in Niagara County. The highlight at Burgess was a BAIRD’S SANDPIPER in the northern puddle feeding with a small flock of Semipalmated Sandpipers and Semipalmated Plovers. The southern puddle is now nearly dry, though it still held two Semipalmated Plovers. Another highlight included a calling Eastern Screech-Owl.

eBird checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38845167 <http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38845167>

On the way to Ellicott Rd. in Hartland, I checked a plowed field located on the east side of Johnson’s Creek Rd. about one mile south of Townline Rd. in the town of Somerset. There were three AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVERS here fairly far back in the plowed field. A Wilson’s Snipe and eight Lesser Yellowlegs also took off from some wet tire ruts on the west side of the road in a fallow field.

eBird checklist with photos of the plovers: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38845159 <http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38845159>

Ellicott Rd had lots of shorebirds represented by seven species. The highlight there was a SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER.

eBird checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38845511 <http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38845511>

Best,
Joel Strong

Back to top
Date: 8/26/17 10:07 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Olive-sided Flycatcher - Buffalo
Currently in the dead branches of a large Sugar Maple in the mausoleum garden next to Mirror Lake. Best viewing from atop Warbler Ridge near the Letchworth Mausoleum.

Joe Fell
Buffalo, NY
716.239.1508

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 8/25/17 12:22 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Cuylerville, Yellowthroats
There was a family of Common Yellowthroats moving about in the brush along
Joens Bridge Rd. - the gravel extention that runs east from Barratt Rd. and
west of the river; also Song Sparrows and Goldfinches. I was there mid
morning, but this is a particularly nice place to be earlier mornings or in
evenings - a very quiet stretch road with beans along one side but good
diversity of wildflowers, bushes, brush piles, grasses etc. on the other.
This has long been one of my favorite spots going into the fall season.
The nearby fields can be good for the fall plovers, etc., depending on
harvesting schedules, though I didn't see any this morning.

Jim Kimball
<kimball...>

Back to top
Date: 8/25/17 9:48 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Hemlock Raptors
​Given the northwest winds and nice clouds to view against, I watched the
sky over my house from 1100 - 1140​. I saw 4 vultures, 1 Cooper's Hawk, 2
juv. Broad-wings, and 1 juv. PEREGRINE FALCON. A good day to watch the sky
if you have the time. eBird Chhecklist with marginal photos here:

Bill Howe
Hemlock, NY
<whhowe60...>

Back to top
Date: 8/25/17 8:35 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Buff-breasted Sandpipers
Good morning,

Two Buff-breasted sandpipers were seen this morning on North Byron Rd. early and then flew where they were seen on Strouts Road just north of Byron Road. This is near the CY Farms Hotspot recently set up by Greg Lawrence. This is east of Elba NY. Five American Golden Plovers and two Semi-palmated Plovers were seen on Byron Road. A Black-bellied Plover was heard calling overhead on Transit Road.

Celeste Morien
Medina, New York
<celeste.morien...>

Back to top
Date: 8/25/17 8:03 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Great Egret in York
A Great Egret was seen this morning at the turning basin pond at York
Landing on the GV Greenway. My husband saw it about 9:30 while a Great Blue
Heron was attempting to shoo it away. He returned with me about 10:00 and
the Egret was alone, on a partially submerged tree trunk. The yellow bill
and black legs were obvious as it fed in the shallow water.

Back to top
Date: 8/24/17 9:24 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Joel's goodies...
...all 3 still at respective locations late in day of 8-24.
<Peterhenyoe131...>

Back to top
Date: 8/24/17 4:55 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] RBA Buffalo Bird Report 24 Aug 2017
- RBA
* New York
* Buffalo
* 08/24/2017
* NYBU1708.24
- Birds mentioned

Please submit reports to
<DSuggs...>

D.-crest. Cormorant
Great Egret
Redhead
Merlin
American Golden-Plover
Lesser Yellowlegs
Upland Sandpiper
Ruddy Turnstone
Red Knot
Sanderling
Baird's Sandpiper
Short-b. Dowitcher
Long-b. Dowitcher
Little Gull
L. Black-b. Gull
Red-headed Wdpkr.
Olive-s. Flycatcher
Cape May Warbler
Grasshopper Sparrow

Thursday, August 24, 2017

The Buffalo Bird Report is a service provided
by your Buffalo Museum of Science and the
Buffalo Ornithological Society. To contact the
Science Museum, call 896-5200. Press the pound
key to report sightings before the end of this
report.

Highlights of August reports received through
August 24 from the Niagara Frontier Region.

Shorebird reports during the past week from the
Lake Ontario Plains. The wet fields at Lower
Lake and Burgess Roads in Somerset included a
juvenile BAIRD'S SANDPIPER and 6 SHORT-B.
DOWITCHERS. Earlier in the month, an UPLAND
SANDPIPER was heard at this location. At
Ellicott Road in Hartland, both LONG-B.
DOWITCHER and SHORT-B. DOWITCHER. And, August
24, at Porter-Center and Youngstown-Wilson
Roads, 4 AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVERS.

August 23, a juvenile RED KNOT with a
SANDERLING, on the Lake Erie shore at Dunkirk
Harbor. Also in the harbor, REDHEAD, L. BLACK-
B. GULL and abundant D.-CREST. CORMORANTS.

Recent shorebirds on the Bird Island Pier in
Buffalo - SEMIPALMATED PLOVER, RUDDY TURNSTONE,
SANDERLING, SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER AND LEAST
SANDPIPER.

At the wetland at North Bailey and Ridge Lea in
Amherst, LESSER YELLOWLEGS and GREAT EGRET.

August 24, an adult LITTLE GULL on Lake Ontario
passing Fort Niagara State Park.

Other migrants - OLIVE-S. FLYCATCHER on the 9th
in Somerset, and CAPE MAY WARBLER at Times
Beach Nature Preserve in Buffalo on August 16.

Other August reports - multiple GRASSHOPPER
SPARROWS, adult and juveniles, in their
breeding habitat at Tillman Wildlife Management
Area in Clarence. MERLINS through the breeding
season in North Buffalo and the city's
University District. And from Chautauqua
County, a RED-HEADED WDPKR. frequenting a seed
feeder near Barcelona Harbor.

The Bird Report will be updated in September.

Date: 8/24/17 1:23 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Buff-breasted Sandpiper and Wilson's Phalaropes in Niagara County
Early this afternoon there was a BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER foraging on the edge of the southern large puddle at the Burgess Rd. X Lower Lake Rd. eBird hotspot in the town of Somerset. This puddle is best viewed from Burgess Rd looking west. There was also a large flock of peeps dominated by Semipalmated Sandpipers along with a handful of Semipalmated Plovers and Least Sandpipers. The flock eventually flushed and I did not see it land again after waiting about 20 minutes. Some of the flock may have gone to the large puddle on the north side of Lower Lake Rd., but I could not re-find the Buff-breasted Sandpiper there. As Willie D’Anna has mentioned in previous posts, visibility is better here now since the fields have been plowed; however, heat waves were making viewing quite difficult in the afternoon sun. My eBird list with horrible/distant photos of the Buff-breasted Sandpiper can be viewed here:

I later went to the Ellicott Rd. eBird hotspot in the town of Hartland, located about 0.45 miles west of Checkered Tavern Rd. This flooded field held 9 species of shorebirds highlighted by two juvenile WILSON’S PHALAROPES putting on a good show as they were actively foraging. My eBird list with photos of the phalaropes can be found here:

Best,
Joel Strong
Appleton, NY

Back to top
Date: 8/24/17 11:59 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Buff-breasted and Baird's Sandpipers + more-Genesee county 23, 24 August
Hi all,
Today (24 Aug), I had a BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER in a bare (recently harvested) sod field on the south side of N. Byron Rd. in the town of Byron, Genesee county.  This is just east of Transit Rd.  There were 88 Killdeer (109 here two days prior), 9 Least Sandpipers, and 2 BAIRD'S SANDPIPERS.  About 30 Horned Larks were also out in the field.  This spot is traditionally a great spot for Buff-breasted Sandpipers and American Golden-Plovers.  I recommend checking Transit Rd. just north of N. Byron Rd., N. Byron Rd. just west of Transit, and also Strouts Rd.  This area is also an ebird hotspot now called "CY Farms area," and the marker is placed on Transit Rd just north of the intersection w/ N. Byron Rd.
Cinnamon Marsh at Tonawanda WMA adjacent to the Iroquois NWR has still been productive.  While shorebird numbers are down a bit, I checked yesterday (23 Aug), and had many Lesser Yellowlegs and Least Sandpipers.  There were small numbers of STILT SANDPIPERS, SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS, and Semipalmated Sandpipers as well as a few other species.  Of note yesterday was a flyover BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER, and around 80 BOBOLINK.  Also, I had 29 Eastern Kingbirds (including a flyover flock of 12) at the marsh, which is the most I've had in one spot before.  They have been moving in good numbers the past couple days.  This spot, as well as nearby Kumpf Marsh at Iroquois NWR, is well worth checking for wading birds, shorebirds, and more.  Viewing is best at Cinnamon in the afternoon/evening when the sun is at your back.
Good birding,Greg LawrenceRochester, NY

Back to top
Date: 8/24/17 11:59 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Golden-Plovers - Town of Porter, Niagara County
This morning there were four AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVERS in the plowed field on
the southeast quadrant of the Porter-Center Rd and Youngstown-Wilson Rd
intersection. The only other shorebird species here was Killdeer.

Off of Fort Niagara SP this morning, I had an adult LITTLE GULL, flying
west. Very few other birds moving, though I didn't watch for long.

Good birding!

Willie