GeneseeBirds-L
Received From Subject
7/16/18 1:28 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> Re: [GeneseeBirds-L] First Offshore Wind Energy Proposal in Great Lakes "Re-Commences" Review Process
7/16/18 6:11 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> Re: [GeneseeBirds-L] Chris' report of shorebirds at Montezuma Audubon Center
7/15/18 5:03 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Montezuma Redheads and Least Bitterns
7/15/18 2:39 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Braddock Bay--East Spit, Jul 15, 2018
7/15/18 11:42 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Chris' report of shorebirds at Montezuma Audubon Center
7/14/18 10:37 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Lakeside Beach SP
7/14/18 5:07 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Montezuma Shorebirds
7/13/18 12:55 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> Re: [GeneseeBirds-L] Predation and nutrients drive population declines in breeding waders
7/13/18 12:40 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Impact of urbanization on caterpillars and an insectivorous bird
7/13/18 7:05 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Geneseo: Red-headed Woodpecker, Wood Ducks, etc.
7/12/18 6:15 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Kings Bend Park
7/12/18 4:40 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Adult Eagle spotted on River Road
7/12/18 2:09 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Female Wood Ducks
7/12/18 11:14 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Geneseo: shorebirds
7/12/18 6:53 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Montezuma bird walk and photo safari for kids!
7/12/18 6:41 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> Re: [GeneseeBirds-L] John's report of female Wood Ducks
7/11/18 5:07 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> Re: [GeneseeBirds-L] Wood Ducks
7/11/18 5:01 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Wood Ducks
7/9/18 10:55 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Canandaigua Area Shorebirds Habitats
7/9/18 7:16 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] FW: eBird Report - Genesee Valley Greenway, pond, Leicester, Jul 8, 2018
7/8/18 2:42 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Cattaraugus County - Kestrel box
7/8/18 9:58 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Least Tern Braddock Bay East Spit, Monroe County.
7/6/18 3:46 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> Re: [GeneseeBirds-L] Cumming Nature Center BioBlitz-Saturday, 14 July
7/6/18 10:56 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Cumming Nature Center BioBlitz-Saturday, 14 July
7/5/18 5:34 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> Re: [GeneseeBirds-L] Sedge Wren - Foss Rd, Orleans County
7/5/18 3:37 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Sedge Wren - Foss Rd, Orleans County
7/4/18 9:11 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Buffalo Coops & Merlins
7/2/18 7:19 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Conesus town birds
6/28/18 6:48 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] FW: ag impacts on farmland birds
6/28/18 1:53 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Wainfleet Bog Whips
6/28/18 12:52 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Montezuma Audubon Center Summer Programs
6/25/18 8:05 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] nesting successes & failures
6/24/18 5:45 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] FW: eBird Report - Rushville Breeding Bird Survey, Jun 3, 2018
6/21/18 6:45 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] RBA Buffalo Bird Report 21 Jun 2018
6/21/18 11:59 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Uplands...
6/21/18 1:44 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Hemlock Pine Siskin
6/20/18 6:14 am Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Summer solstice paddle with Audubon TOMORROW
6/19/18 6:13 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Purple Martin Gourd Rack
6/19/18 2:56 pm Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> [GeneseeBirds-L] Chandler Rd. Greenway

Back to top
Date: 7/16/18 1:28 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: Re: [GeneseeBirds-L] First Offshore Wind Energy Proposal in Great Lakes "Re-Commences" Review Process
https://wildlifemanagement.institute/outdoor-news-bulletin/july-2018/first-offshore-wind-energy-proposal-great-lakes-re-commences-review

Lynn Braband

NYS Community IPM Program of Cornell University

2449 St. Paul Blvd

Rochester, NY 14617

(585) 753-2562

fax: (585) 753-2560

http://www.nysipm.cornell.edu

Twitter: @LynnBraband <https://twitter.com/LynnBraband>

Back to top
Date: 7/16/18 6:11 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: Re: [GeneseeBirds-L] Chris' report of shorebirds at Montezuma Audubon Center
The Montezuma Audubon Center has 200 acres and two miles of trails through forest, wetlands and grasslands. Great birding and guided tours/programs year round!  http://ny.audubon.org/montezuma. Also visit the rest of the 9,000 acres of NYSDEC lands in Savannah, NY including VanDyne Spoor Rd, Morgan Rd, Carncross Rd, Howland's Island and Savannah-Spring Lake Rd. There is also great birding at the Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge on Rt. 5&20 in Seneca Falls.

Chris Lajewski
Center Director
Montezuma Audubon Center
2295 State Rt. 89, Savannah, NY 13146
315-365-3588
http://ny.audubon.org/montezuma

      (Bird observations from western New York)
  Message: 1
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2018 14:41:49 -0400
From: Bird observations from western New York
    <geneseebirds-l...>
To: <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Chris' report of shorebirds at Montezuma
    Audubon    Center

We are happy to read of many sightings at the center, BUT e have never been
to the area, let alone the Montezuma Audubon Center. Coming from Niagara
Falls, we may stop by for a few hours, if we can see something, and perhaps
more if we see something substantial. We aren't birders but we love
photographing birds. I can imagine there are many trails, and whenever we
are out and about, once we see something, we tend to get bogged down in one
spot, instead of continuing on to other parts/trails. We realize that time
of day, season, etc have a lot to do to seeing birds, and the different
species of birds. Is there any one or another trail that might yield more
birds than another?

We may get there tomorrow and the center will be closed. Any advice would
be much appreciated. Thanks!!
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Back to top
Date: 7/15/18 5:03 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Montezuma Redheads and Least Bitterns
This afternoon our MZ ride was highlighted by a small family of mom and 2 baby Redhead along the wildlife drive. We found another family of Redhead on VanDyne Spoor Road with mom and at least 5 young. Black Terns were everywhere at VanDyne Spoor with at least a dozen juveniles and more than a dozen adults. The highlight there around 6 pm were 4 individual Least Bittern. 2 feeding close to the near edge about halfway down then flying west. The other 2 flying west from about 2/3 of the way down the road.
2 Stilt Sandpipers were the highlight of the 100 plus shorebirds at the quickly drying up Knox- marsellus marsh. Mike and Joann Tetlow

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 7/15/18 2:39 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Braddock Bay--East Spit, Jul 15, 2018
I took a few hours and walked the spit, including the new area. Shorebirds have definitely begun their autumn migration or at least post breeding dispersal, as there were six species present, including Short-billed Dowitcher and a number of Semipalmated Sandpipers that broke the eBird filter. Other than that, most expected birds were present and it wasn't bad for a walk on a mid-July afternoon!

Good Birding,

Robert Buckert

Braddock Bay--East Spit, Monroe, New York, US
Jul 15, 2018 1:52 PM - 4:50 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.66 mile(s)
Comments: Walked from Moon Beach to basic end of newer spit. Passerines, etc. quiet, midday lull. Mainly there for waterbirds.
37 species

Mute Swan 5
Mallard 22 Variety of ages.
Red-breasted Merganser 1 Very worn and tattered female.
Double-crested Cormorant 3
Common Gallinule 1 Whinnied from marsh.
Killdeer 1
Least Sandpiper 2
Semipalmated Sandpiper 7 *High, early. Exact count of birds seen at once. Possibly/Likely a couple more, but the peeps frequently moved around the spit.
Short-billed Dowitcher 2
Spotted Sandpiper 5 Probable nest on south side of new configuration. Very alarmed as I approached a small area of beachy plants.
Lesser Yellowlegs 1
Ring-billed Gull 155
Herring Gull 31
Caspian Tern 51
Common Tern 13
Mourning Dove 2
Belted Kingfisher 1
Eastern Kingbird 1
Warbling Vireo 3
Blue Jay 2
Purple Martin 5
Tree Swallow 3
Bank Swallow 8
Barn Swallow 12
Black-capped Chickadee 2
Marsh Wren 7
American Robin 11
Gray Catbird 4
European Starling 6
Cedar Waxwing 4
Yellow Warbler 3
Song Sparrow 9
Northern Cardinal 1
Red-winged Blackbird 25
Common Grackle 12
American Goldfinch 4
House Sparrow 2

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47216037

Back to top

Date: 7/14/18 10:37 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Lakeside Beach SP
The shelties and I have had several satisfying early morning walks
through Lakeside Beach SP recently..  Sightings, most of which have been
there repeatedly:

Along the unused highway-right-of-way running from the main road just
before the park entrance, west toward the ponds:  Orchard Orioles,
Clay-colored Sparrow, Least Flycatcher, Eastern Meadowlark, Kingbirds,
and lots of young Field Sparrows and Empis (probably mostly Willows)

At the ponds: Solitary, Least, and Spotted Sandpipers and Lesser
Yellowlegs, along with larger numbers of Killdeer

Along Syren Creek: Red-headed Woodpecker, Hooded Warbler

Syren Creek ravine at the far western end of the park, beyond the serive
road:  Acadian Flycatcher

Field Area along the lakefront, towards the west: Clay-colored Sparrow
(appears to be two more singing birds), Orchard Orioles, Mockingbirds,
Eastern Meadowlarks, Bobolinks, Indigo Bunting (seems to me that numbers
of this species are back up this year), several Brown Thrashers, and
lots of young Bluebirds

North of the park entrance: Purple Martins

South of the park entrance at the highway overpass: Cliff Swallows, as
of this morning including a bunch of fledglings

Don Bemont

<dbemont...>

Back to top
Date: 7/14/18 5:07 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Montezuma Shorebirds
It was 90 degrees yesterday but the presence of 100 shorebirds on the Monteuma Audubon Center mudflats signifies the beginning of the autumn bird migration. Least Sandpipers and Lesser Yellowlegs dominated the landscape but breeding Killdeer and Spotted Sandpipers were also found feasting on insects. Good birding!
Chris LajewskiCenter DirectorMontezuma Audubon Center

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Back to top
Date: 7/13/18 12:55 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: Re: [GeneseeBirds-L] Predation and nutrients drive population declines in breeding waders
https://esajournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/eap.1729?campaign=woletoc

Date: 7/13/18 12:40 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Impact of urbanization on caterpillars and an insectivorous bird
https://esajournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/eap.1730?campaign=woletoc

Date: 7/13/18 7:05 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Geneseo: Red-headed Woodpecker, Wood Ducks, etc.
I went down by the airfield early this morning (before the airshow traffic) to check on the shorebirds. For shorebirds I only found one Least Sandpiper, three Spotted Sandpipers and several Killdeer. There were 11 Wood Ducks in the wet spot, including one male (in eclipse plumage); also Bank and Barn Swallows over the wet spot. When I stopped along the side dirt road (about 30 yards south of the main airfield road) I heard a Black-billed Cuckoo calling. It was calling persistently, but was well hidden in the leafy trees and bushes. At the same time I heard a Red-headed Woodpecker, this one perched clearly on a dead tree along the dirt road - and also calling persistently. This is the first Red-headed Woodpecker I’ve had in this area in some time. I used to see them in that area a few years ago and when I did the breeding bird atlas (c. 2005) - but I haven’t been checking much in recent years. I also saw my first significant flocks of Red-wings (200+) and Grackles (75-100) in the trees along there.
From the airfield I went over to the greenway path off Chandler Rd. Birds of interest there included:
Canada Goose 60 (including several half grown young)
Wood Duck 10 (including several small young)
Green Heron 3
Merlin 1
Common Gallinule 1
Wood-Pewee 2
Willow Flycatcher 1
Gr. Crested Flycatcher 1
Catbird 2
Yellowthroat 1
Swamp Sparrow 2

Jim Kimball
<kimball...>

Back to top
Date: 7/12/18 6:15 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Kings Bend Park
Kings Bend Park had plenty of mud flats exposed today, and four species of shorebirds, including Lesser Yellowlegs and Least Sandpipers, were taking advantage of them. Fall shorebirds are arriving!

Pat Martin

>Kings Bend Park, Monroe, New York, US
>Jul 12, 2018 3:30 PM - 3:45 PM
>Protocol: Stationary
>Comments: A quick scan for shorebirds with limited time. Water level today was as low as I've ever seen it, so LOTS of mud flats exposed. Potential for continuing habitat as the fall shorebird season ramps up, even if we do get some much needed rain.
>10 species
>
>Canada Goose 11
>Wood Duck 18
>Mallard 50 estimate
>Great Blue Heron 1
>Killdeer 18
>Least Sandpiper 11
>Spotted Sandpiper 2
>Lesser Yellowlegs 1
>American Robin 2
>House Sparrow 6
>
>View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47159791
>
>This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (http://ebird.org)

Back to top
Date: 7/12/18 4:40 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Adult Eagle spotted on River Road
Flying east overhead from the Niagara River, unmistakable white head and
long narrow tail at 7:30pm today. It's the fourth time in a year's time we
have seen an eagle flying on the Upper Niagara in this area, though most of
the time it's flown along the Niagara River and with sushi for dinner.

Sheila and Tony Lee - Niagara Falls
http://sheilak-lee.pixels.com
www.fototaker.net

Back to top
Date: 7/12/18 2:09 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Female Wood Ducks
I apologize that I was not specific in yesterday's posting. But it is where the five bridges are & more specifically right along Niagara st. adjacent to the wooden bridge that takes you over to the island but also the wooden dock that has the kayak rentals that runs along the bike path on the part of Niagara st. that is cordoned off.
Thanks to Lynn B. who answered to my query.

Sent from my iPod

Back to top
Date: 7/12/18 11:14 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Geneseo: shorebirds
This morning in a wet spot south of the Geneseo airfield I saw 2 Lesser Yellowlegs, 1 Least Sandpiper, 3 Spotted Sandpipers and about 30 Killdeer - signs that the southward migration of shorebirds is just starting, and flocking among local Killdeer. These were in a still flooded depression in the bean field south of the airfield road - only visible from the side dirt road past the unoccupied house.
There were also a couple Horned Larks in the fields and Barn, Tree and Bank Swallows - and at least one Cliff Swallow, all chasing insects about or on the water & ground.
The Geneseo air show is this weekend, so there will be, not only a good show, but lots of traffic down there this Friday through Sunday.

Jim Kimball
<kimball...>

Back to top
Date: 7/12/18 6:53 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Montezuma bird walk and photo safari for kids!
I have 2 public programs running this Saturday, July 14th via the Montezuma Audubon Center in Savannah, NY.

4July 14, Saturday, 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Montezuma Heritage Park Birding Walk
If you're interested in Erie Canal history, and the birds that call the Montezuma Wetlands Complex their home, this is the program for you! Join a local historian and Audubon staff for a leisurely walk to explore the Erie Canal history and listen and look for newly fledged birds, enjoy the wildflowers, and learn about the important cultural and economic impact the canal system had on upstate NY. Fee: $5/child, $10/adult, $15/family. Pre-paid reservations are required. 50% discount for Friends of the Montezuma Wetlands Complex.

4July 14, Saturday, 2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Photo Safari (for kids) at the MAC!
Do you have a digital camera or camera on your phone? Would you like to learn how to use it better, and how to take creative photos? This program is focused on kids ages 8 and up. The program will start with a brief introduction to basic photography, and then we'll head out for an easy 1-mile stroll through the woods, around the wetlands, and over the grasslands to photograph wildflowers, butterflies, and bird- perfect subjects for new photographers. At the conclusion of the program, we'll view the photos on the big screen. Children must be accompanied by an adult or guardian. Fee: $8/child.

Space is limited and registration is required.
Please call 315-365-3588 or e-mail <montezuma...>

For all of the rest of Montezuma Audubon Center summer programs, please follow this link: http://ny.audubon.org/education/montezuma-audubon-center-programs-and-events

Alyssa Johnson
Environmental Educator
Montezuma Audubon Center
2295 State Route 89
P.O. Box 187
Savannah, New York 13146
(315) 365-3588
Audubon NY- Montezuma<http://ny.audubon.org/Montezuma>
Montezuma Audubon Center on Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/MontezumaAudubonCenter/>

Back to top
Date: 7/12/18 6:41 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: Re: [GeneseeBirds-L] John's report of female Wood Ducks
This is the area downtown in Tonawanda where the five bridges meet? Would
you mind specifying which bridge(s) you've seen the female Wood Ducks? We
were there the other day and didn't see anything, but we were at the
Seymour Street bridge, closest to the Tops Parking lot and strip mall
stores. The second bridge is Main Street that leads to the Gateway Harbor.
Thanks for the report, and to Lynn regarding male Wood Duck behavior.
Probably at some downtown bar talking up a breeze, or trying to find
another female Wood Duck! We have also seen a female Wood Duck in the reeds
with little ones at the Gratwick Waterfront Park, but they don't appear too
often.

Sheila and Tony - Niagara Falls

Back to top
Date: 7/11/18 5:07 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: Re: [GeneseeBirds-L] Wood Ducks
Concerning the males, only the females raise young. The males usually congregate elsewhere

Lynn Braband

NYS Community IPM Program of Cornell University

2449 St. Paul Blvd

Rochester, NY 14617

(585) 753-2562

fax: (585) 753-2560

http://www.nysipm.cornell.edu

Twitter: @LynnBraband <https://twitter.com/LynnBraband>

On 7/11/18, 8:01 PM, "<geneseebirds-l-bounces...> on behalf of Bird observations from western New York" <geneseebirds-l-bounces...> on behalf of <geneseebirds-l...> wrote:

Hi,

Today I did some investigating of female wood ducks that I have seen along Ellicott Creek at the Erie Canal at the City of Tonawanda limit where the bridges meet into Niagara co., in summers past on my way to work in the a.m. while walking across the bridges. Today I had the good fortune of coming across them again at 4:30 pm. I had one young female & then later an adult female. Just wondering where the males are and has anybody witnessed this before.

John T.
Sent from my iPod

Back to top

Date: 7/9/18 10:55 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Canandaigua Area Shorebirds Habitats
​With these continuing dry conditions, I noted today that the ponds at
Outhouse Park and Risser Road are starting to develop good shorebird
habitats. Among Killdeers and Spotted Sandpipers, the Outhouse Park ​pond
had 1 Solitary Sandpiper, and Risser Rd had 2 Solitaries and 5 Lesser
Yellowlegs.

Bill Howe
<whhowe60...>

Back to top
Date: 7/9/18 7:16 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] FW: eBird Report - Genesee Valley Greenway, pond, Leicester, Jul 8, 2018
Genesee Valley Greenway, pond, Leicester, Livingston, New York, US
Jul 8, 2018 4:40 PM - 5:40 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
32 species

Great Blue Heron 2
Killdeer 1
Mourning Dove 5
Yellow-billed Cuckoo 1 Tentative ID. Brief glimpse.
Belted Kingfisher 1
Downy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 1
Willow Flycatcher 3
Eastern Kingbird 1
Warbling Vireo 1
Blue Jay 1
American Crow 1
Tree Swallow 3
Barn Swallow 1
American Robin 5
Gray Catbird 3
Brown Thrasher 1
European Starling 2
Cedar Waxwing 1
Common Yellowthroat 4
Yellow Warbler 6
Field Sparrow 1
Song Sparrow 6
Swamp Sparrow 3
Eastern Towhee 1
Northern Cardinal 2
Indigo Bunting 2
Baltimore Oriole 2
Red-winged Blackbird 1
Common Grackle 1
American Goldfinch 5
House Sparrow 1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47080907

Back to top
Date: 7/8/18 2:42 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Cattaraugus County - Kestrel box
Hi,

I took down my A. Kestrel box for cleaning today. Since A. Kestrel
nestlings don't produce a fecal sack the way some other cavity nesting
birds do, it's best to clean the box when there's a good stiff wind as we
had today.

From the looks of it there were 4 eggs, 3 hatched and 2 birds fledged. For
some reason a full sized female never left the box.

Jeff
jeffreed58ATgmail.com

https://www.flickr.com/photos/meadowsteward/

Back to top
Date: 7/8/18 9:58 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Least Tern Braddock Bay East Spit, Monroe County.
A Least Tern found by Jim Miles and Laurie Mattle this morning is continuing at the west end of the breakwall that connects to the East Spit. The bird has been seen on the rocks on the bayside and also seen fishing over the bay near the channel.

Mike Gullo

Back to top
Date: 7/6/18 3:46 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: Re: [GeneseeBirds-L] Cumming Nature Center BioBlitz-Saturday, 14 July
  This is a worthwhile activity for any really interested in wildlife and conservation. There is a need for many who really know various areas of wildlife, botanical and the full range of animal.
Bob Spahn

On Friday, July 6, 2018 1:56 PM, Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> wrote:

Hi all,
I will be leading a bird hike at 7:00 AM on Saturday, 14 July at Cumming Nature Center in Naples, Ontario County as part of their annual BioBlitz.  This is only part of an exciting day at Cumming Nature Center as there will be guided hikes and programs all day aimed at documenting a wide variety of taxa on the property.  The event was a large success last year and I recommend stopping by as the event is a great way to learn and explore the area around the nature center.
Here is the link to their website: http://www.rmsc.org/cumming-nature-center/nature-center-programs-and-events/item/432-bioblitz
Here is the official announcement:
Please join us at the Cumming Nature Center for our secondannual BioBlitz! A Bioblitz aims to catalog as many livingthings as possible in a set area over a set amount of time.Citizen science is a core component, and teams of expertswill engage with the public through data collection, guidedhikes, and more! Help us in identifying as many plants andanimals on our 900 acre preserve as we can during this all dayevent!We are currently seeking biological experts, professionalsand volunteers. If you are interested in joining us for thisevent,or would like more information, please contact theCumming Nature Center at 585-374-6160 or email AbbyOdinak at <aodinak...>

Hope to see you all there!Greg Lawrence_______________________________________________
GeneseeBirds-L mailing list  -  <GeneseeBirds-L...>

Back to top

Date: 7/5/18 5:34 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: Re: [GeneseeBirds-L] Sedge Wren - Foss Rd, Orleans County
If anyone tries for the Sedge Wren, it may be worth your while to swing over to Hall Rd (parallel to Foss Rd. and to the west). About a 1/3rd of the mile south from Lakeshore Rd a VESPER SPARROW was singing on the west side of the road. To our surprise yesterday, we did not hear any Grasshopper Sparrows at Foss Rd. or Lakeshore Rd., where we have had them in the past.

I think Willie is being too kind in leaving my name out of the misidentification of the Sedge Wren, but I think if I had not initially and excitedly proclaimed I think I hear a Dickcissel!, he likely wouldnt have jumped to my same mistaken conclusion! Here is the eBird checklist with recordings of the singing Sedge Wren (note the bird was just slightly south of the eBird pin):

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46982479 <https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46982479>

Best,
Joel Strong
Appleton, NY
<joelstrong78...> <mailto:<joelstrong78...>

> On Jul 5, 2018, at 6:37 AM, Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...> wrote:
>
> Early Wednesday morning, Joel Strong and I had a SEDGE WREN in the hayfield on the east side of Foss Road, a mile north of Rt 18. The bird was singing constantly when we were there, though apparently, and not surprisingly, much less so later in the morning when Celeste Morien had it. This is the same field that had breeding Dickcissels last year and in which the fledged young were seen. Knowing this, I jumped to the conclusion that we were hearing a Dickcissel when in fact, it was the Sedge Wren. The songs of the two species are somewhat similar but fortunately, I realized my mistake before long. Definitely a case of expectancy bias!
>
> Good birding!
> Willie

Back to top
Date: 7/5/18 3:37 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Early Wednesday morning, Joel Strong and I had a SEDGE WREN in the hayfield
on the east side of Foss Road, a mile north of Rt 18. The bird was singing
constantly when we were there, though apparently, and not surprisingly, much
less so later in the morning when Celeste Morien had it. This is the same
field that had breeding Dickcissels last year and in which the fledged young
were seen. Knowing this, I jumped to the conclusion that we were hearing a
Dickcissel when in fact, it was the Sedge Wren. The songs of the two species
are somewhat similar but fortunately, I realized my mistake before long.
Definitely a case of expectancy bias!

Good birding!

Willie

------------------

Willie D'Anna

Wilson, NY

dannapotterATroadrunnerDOTcom

Back to top
Date: 7/4/18 9:11 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Buffalo Coops & Merlins
7-4-18, Shirley Ave., Buffalo -
2 Merlin - 1 or 2 seemed im.

7-3-18 - Buffalo -All 3+ young Cooper's recently fledged.
All 5 young Merlin still in nest w/adults bringing food. 2 are still very downy & 3 are mostly in im. plumage w/at least 1 taking short walks on a limb.

6-29-18, Woodbridge Ave., Buffalo -
1st Cicada heard.

Peter, Barbara
<henyoe131...>

Back to top
Date: 7/2/18 7:19 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Conesus town birds
I did a birding trip with the Lubberts family around their wonderful and varied land along Marrowback Rd. in the town of Conesus this morning. It was warm enough for sure, but we came up with a nice variety of birds, a few still in nesting or fledgling mode. We had seven species of warblers, all typical for that area. Birds of special interest included:

Wood Duck 1
E. Phoebe 1
Red-eyed Vireo 1
Tree Swallow 10 (some in nest boxes)
Barn Swallow 15+ (including young)
House Wren 8 (some in boxes)
E. Bluebird 1
Gray Catbird 4
Cedar Waxwing 1
Ovenbird 1
Blue-winged Warbler 1
C. Yellowthroat 2
Hooded Warbler 1
American Redstart 1
Yellow Warbler 2
Chestnut-sided Warbler 1
E. Towhee 2
Bobolink 1
Baltimore Oriole 2
House Finch 4

Jim Kimball
<kimball...>

Back to top
Date: 6/28/18 6:48 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] FW: ag impacts on farmland birds
http://www.za.plainevalsevre.cnrs.fr/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/AEE-2018-Canada-farmland-birds.pdf

Back to top
Date: 6/28/18 1:53 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Wainfleet Bog Whips
6-26-18 -
Erie Peat Rd. (Few mosquitos & no ticks. The maintained portion of the N.-S. trail turns 90' to the W.offering a fairly long walk that eventually opens up to a "recently" scraped [maybe 20 yrs. ago??] open area on the N. side of trail w/a couple unexplored side trails. As it was getting late I turned back before ideally reaching Wilson Rd. Aside from the chance of something like a Chat, WE Vireo, Lincoln's Sparrow... it's like Dr. Andrle once said not terribly diverse. The most diversity [vegetation too] is in the N.-S. section including Whips as I imagine are at least here & there in the above area]). The entire area needs a lot more checking. Has anyone ever done a thorough check - especially in the past few years?? -
3 Redstart
1 Blue Wing
3+ Yellow Throat
4+ Ovenbird
3 Woodcock
1 Thrasher...
Wilson Rd. -
3+ Whips...

6-21/22-18, Woodbridge Ave., Buffalo -
1 Swainson's - Only 1 faint call overhead somewhere around midnight. Given the in-between date I would like to have heard it again. There was a light E. or N. wind. Very quiet sitting by S.facing open window w/no neighborhood noise.

Peter, Barbara
<henyoe131...>

Back to top
Date: 6/28/18 12:52 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Montezuma Audubon Center Summer Programs
Hello everyone,

Please see the link below for all of our upcoming Summer 2018 programs at the Montezuma Audubon Center in Savannah, Wayne County, NY.

http://friendsofmontezuma.org/summer-2018-programs-at-the-montezuma-audubon-center/

Hope to see some familiar faces, as new as new program participants!

Happy birding- and stay cool this weekend!

Date: 6/25/18 8:05 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] nesting successes & failures
In my yard in Canandaigua this year there have been several successful nesting attempts but also some failures. One pair of Bluebirds has raised 2 broods (one of 4 one of 5) and has completed a 3rd nest. A 2nd pair has raised a brood of 4 and is feeding week old young (5). A 3rd pair had a nest w/4 eggs but they were destroyed by a House wren. They are now feeding newly hatched young (4) in another house. 5 of the 7 Bluebird nesting attempts have been in PVC houses. We'll see if the Bluebirds can match or break last years tally of 28 total young fledged.
One pair of House wrens has raised a brood of 5 & another pair is on a nest. A pair of Chickadees is feeding a newly hatched brood of 6.
A pair of Tree swallows decided to nest in a plastic gourd type Purple martin complex and were incubating 6 eggs when the eggs disappeared. Martins had not shown much interest in the house(s) until then and I believe they may have been responsible for evicting the swallows and removing the eggs. The swallows began copulating again right after the eggs disappeared but never re-nested and have left. A few Martins have been hanging around but no signs of nesting attempts. Very disappointing to loose the swallows as their numbers and nesting attempts have been steadily declining over the last few years on this property as well as at our previous home in Clifton Springs.
Kyle Gage
Canandaigua

Back to top
Date: 6/24/18 5:45 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] FW: eBird Report - Rushville Breeding Bird Survey, Jun 3, 2018
Apparently ebird is not the best site for reporting a breeding bird survey, but for what it is worth . . .
Total counts for the route followed by the number of stops (out of 50) each species was recorded.
Rushville Breeding Bird Survey, Ontario, New York, US
Jun 3, 2018 5:02 AM - 9:38 AM
Protocol: Traveling
24.5 mile(s)
Comments: USGS Breeding Bird Survey
51 species

Canada Goose 1
Wild Turkey 1
Killdeer 9
Ring-billed Gull 63
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 9
Mourning Dove 42
Chimney Swift 2
Red-bellied Woodpecker 7
Downy Woodpecker 1
Eastern Wood-Pewee 6
Willow Flycatcher 7
Least Flycatcher 2
Eastern Phoebe 2
Great Crested Flycatcher 3
Eastern Kingbird 1
Warbling Vireo 8
Red-eyed Vireo 2
Blue Jay 8
American Crow 33
Horned Lark 27
Barn Swallow 19
Black-capped Chickadee 4
Tufted Titmouse 2
White-breasted Nuthatch 2
House Wren 5
Wood Thrush 2
American Robin 58
Gray Catbird 10
Brown Thrasher 2
Northern Mockingbird 7
European Starling 74
Cedar Waxwing 1
Common Yellowthroat 6
Yellow Warbler 19
Chipping Sparrow 31
Field Sparrow 2
Savannah Sparrow 21
Song Sparrow 55
Northern Cardinal 22
Rose-breasted Grosbeak 1
Indigo Bunting 11
Bobolink 4
Eastern Meadowlark 1
Baltimore Oriole 8
Red-winged Blackbird 92
Brown-headed Cowbird 8
Common Grackle 28
House Finch 7
Purple Finch 4
American Goldfinch 19
House Sparrow 44

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46772424

Red-winged Blackbird 40
American Robin 38
Song Sparrow 36
Mourning Dove 33
House Sparrow 28
European Starling 26
American Crow, Chipping Sparrow 25
Horned Lark 20
American Goldfinch 19
Northern Cardinal 18
Savannah Sparrow 17
Barn Swallow, Yellow Warbler, Common Grackle 14
Gray Catbird 9
Killdeer, Warbling Vireo, Indigo Bunting 8
Willow Flycatcher, Blue Jay, Brown-headed Cowbird, Baltimore Oriole 7
Red-bellied Woodpecker, Northern Mockingbird, Common Yellowthroat, House Finch 6
Eastern Wood Pewee, House Wren 5
Rock Pigeon, Black-capped Chickadee 4
Great Crested Flycatcher, Bobolink, Purple Finch 3
Ring-billed Gull, Eastern Phoebe, Least Flycatcher, Tufted Titmouse, Red-eyed Vireo, White-breasted Nuthatch, Wood Thrush, Brown Thrasher, Field Sparrow 2
Canada Goose, Wild Turkey, Chimney Swift, Downy Woodpecker, Eastern Kingbird, Cedar Waxwing, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Eastern Meadowlark 1

Back to top
Date: 6/21/18 6:45 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] RBA Buffalo Bird Report 21 Jun 2018
- RBA
* New York
* Buffalo
* 06/21/2018
* NYBU1806.21
- Birds mentioned

Please submit reports to
<DSuggs...>

SNOWY EGRET
D.-crest. Cormorant
Bald Eagle
Cooper's Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
American Kestrel
Merlin
Upland Sandpiper
Black Tern
Pileated Woodpecker
Acadian Flycatcher
Purple Martin
Pine Warbler
Cerulean Warbler
Prothonotary Warbler
Rose-br. Grosbeak
Grasshopper Sparrow
Baltimore Oriole

- Transcript
Hotline: Buffalo Bird Report at the Buffalo Museum of Science
Date: 06/21/2018
Number: 716-896-1271
To Report: Same
Compiler: David F. Suggs
Coverage: Western New York and adjacent Ontario
Website: www.BuffaloOrnithologicalSociety.org

Thursday, June 21, 2018

The Buffalo Bird Report is a service provided
by your Buffalo Museum of Science and the
Buffalo Ornithological Society. To contact the
Science Museum, call 896-5200. Press the pound
key to report sightings before the end of this
message.

Highlights of June reports from the Niagara
Frontier Region.

June 18, a SNOWY EGRET, at the north end of the
Heritage Boardwalk at Tifft Nature Preserve in
Buffalo.

At the Tillman Wildlife Management Area in
Clarence, at least three UPLAND SANDPIPERS, and
several GRASSHOPPER SPARROWS.

Reports from the Iroquois Refuge and
surrounding areas - a singing PROTHONOTARY
WARBLER on the Kanyoo Trail, and 4 PROTHONOTARY
WARBLERS on Meadville Road. CERULEAN WARBLERS
at the Sour Springs Road bridge and Ring-neck
Marsh. PINE WARBLER on the Owens Road trail.
Four ACADIAN FLYCATCHERS on the Onondaga Trail.
And BLACK TERNS and BALD EAGLES at Cayuga Pool.

Raptors in the City of Buffalo - one, possibly
two, nesting families of MERLINS. And a
COOPER'S HAWK nest with three young. In the
Southern Tier, AMERICAN KESTRELS fledging from
a nest box in the Cattaraugus County Town of
Hinsdale.

At the Batavia Waste Water Plant - 24 newly
installed PURPLE MARTIN gourd houses are fully
occupied, yielding at least 100 nestlings.

In Orleans County, at Sunset Beach on Lake
Ontario - nesting RED-TAILED HAWK, PILEATED
WOODPECKER, ROSE-BR. GROSBEAK and BALTIMORE
ORIOLE. Nearby at the mouth of Johnson Creek,
BALD EAGLES continue to feed on salmon
carcasses. And at Point Breeze, 18 D.-CREST.
CORMORANTS, and a reported, and possibly
injured, SNOWY OWL on the jetty.

You may report sightings after the tone. Thank
you for calling and reporting.

- End Transcript

Back to top
Date: 6/21/18 11:59 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Uplands...
6-20-18, Tillman WMA -
3 Uplands - pair(?) & single bird.
1+ Grasshopper

6-19-18, Buffalo -
Cooper's Hawk nest w/im plumaged ad. feeding 3+ young.
Merlin nest w/both(?) ads. feeding 2+ young.

6-10-18, Shirley Ave. near Suffolk Ave., Buffalo -
1 Merlin w/prey - this is too far from the above nest so I imagine there is another nest at least fairly close by. Anyone know of it? If possible contact me privately. You don't have to tell me where (though it would be nice).

6-9-18, Woodbridge Ave., Buffalo -
2 Swainson's Thrush - night migrants.

5-31-18, Shirley Ave. -
2 Nighthawk - near sunset.

5-29-18, Erie Basin Marina -
Shelly's RT Loon

5-28-18, Woodbridge Ave. -
1 Nighthawk

Anyone ever hear of Goshawk nesting in leafy neighborhood in a city? Off-hand I'd say 1 in a million.

Peter
<henyoe131...>
834-6316

Back to top
Date: 6/21/18 1:44 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Hemlock Pine Siskin
I was surprised to hear a siskin calling in my yard yesterday morning when
a group of goldfinches moved through, and then saw it as it flew over me
still calling. There was a second (silent) bird sticking close to it but
I didn't have binoculars with me at the time to know whether that was a
siskin too. This is the first time I've detected one at this season in my
4 summers here. I see in eBird there are a few other scattered June
reports this year as well as in past years, so perhaps it's not all that
unusual.

Bill Howe
Hemlock, NY
<whhowe60...>

Back to top
Date: 6/20/18 6:14 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Summer solstice paddle with Audubon TOMORROW
June 21, Thursday 5:30 p.m.-8:00 p.m.
Summer Solstice Celebration Paddle

Celebrate the longest day of the year with us! We'll paddle a 2-mile section of the Seneca River around Howland's Island and enjoy the sights and sounds of the first day of summer. We'll search for nesting birds, basking turtles, soaring dragonflies, and singing frogs. Tandem canoes, solo kayaks, paddles, and life jackets are available to rent or bring your own. Fee: $10/child without rental, $15/adult without rental, $25/solo kayak rental, $40/canoe rental (maximum 2 adults plus 1 child). PRE-PAID RESERVATIONS REQUIRED.

TO register: call (315) 365-3588 or email <montezuma...>

Date: 6/19/18 6:13 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Purple Martin Gourd Rack
Hi all,

2018 is turning out to be another great hatch year at the Batavia Wastewater Treatment Plant for Buffalo Ornithological Society’s Purple Martin gourd rack. The gourd rack is adjacent to the wetland pond farthest from the tunnel as one drives the gravel access roads. Be sure to sign in at the BWWTP office if you visit. The adult martins arrived in April and sub-adults showed up in May. Twenty-four nests were started, filling the available gourds. The martins finished laying eggs this week. The clutch sizes range from two to seven, with an average clutch size of five eggs. Their completed total, 132 eggs! One nest is inactive, while 23 have warm eggs or hatched young. During today’s check, I counted 107 nestlings. There is the possibility of a few more hatched eggs. Given good weather, the fledged young should amount to around 100 birds. Stay tuned!

If you’d be interested in accompanying me during a check, you’re welcome to email me.

Celeste Morien
<celeste.morien...>

Back to top
Date: 6/19/18 2:56 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Chandler Rd. Greenway
I went over to the greenway off Chandler Rd. this morning (between Geneseo & Piffard). It was certainly a pleasant morning and very nice walk. Most obvious in the marsh area were dozens of redwings, singing and flying about, but I did see one young Wood duck with a couple adults and heard a Common Gallinule and a Virginia Rail. Birds of interest along the trail included:
Wood Duck 3
Green Heron 2
C. Gallinule 1
Virginia Rail 1
Yellow-billed Cuckoo 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 2
Hairy Woodpecker 1
E. Wood-Pewee 1
E. Phoebe 1
E. Kingbird 1 (carrying food to a nest)
Warbling Vireo 5 (one of these also carrying food)
Gray Catbird 2
Brown Thrasher 1
Yellow Warbler 1
Field Sparrow 1