umpquabirds
Received From Subject
11/19/19 11:17 am Donna Prchal <dprchal3...> [Umpqua Birds] Re: Fwd: Magazines available
11/13/19 10:46 am Carol Poe, EPDH <accessrdh...> [Umpqua Birds] Migrations visitor Tundra Swan
11/9/19 2:45 pm Kenneth Phifer <phiferk...> [Umpqua Birds] Birds
11/9/19 2:43 pm Kenneth Phifer <phiferk...> [Umpqua Birds] Trail
11/8/19 8:33 am Jim & Vikki Hein <heinjv...> [Umpqua Birds] Re: Fwd: Magazines available
11/8/19 8:32 am Jim & Vikki Hein <heinjv...> [Umpqua Birds] Re: Fwd: Magazines available
11/8/19 5:01 am Donna Prchal <dprchal3...> [Umpqua Birds] Re: Fwd: Magazines available
11/7/19 10:11 pm Janice Reid <jeoreid...> [Umpqua Birds] Re: Fwd: Magazines available
11/7/19 9:58 pm Jim <heinjv...> [Umpqua Birds] Re: Fwd: Magazines available
11/7/19 9:05 pm Donna Prchal <dprchal3...> [Umpqua Birds] Re: Fwd: Magazines available
11/7/19 8:43 pm Jim <heinjv...> [Umpqua Birds] Fwd: Magazines available
11/2/19 7:51 pm Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter...> [Umpqua Birds] Interesting Sapsucker reported on OBOL
11/2/19 2:57 pm Kenneth Phifer <phiferk...> [Umpqua Birds] Birding Ford Pond
10/28/19 10:06 am Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter...> [Umpqua Birds] Re: Tundra_swans_at_Fords_Pond
10/27/19 9:18 am James Houseman <dmarc-noreply...> (Redacted sender umpquadrifter for DMARC) [Umpqua Birds] =?utf-8?Q?Tundra_swans_at_Ford’s_Pond?Message-Id:
10/25/19 6:12 am Jeff Fleischer <dmarc-noreply...> (Redacted sender raptorrunner97321 for DMARC) [Umpqua Birds] Re: Winter Raptor Survey Project Needs
10/24/19 10:17 pm Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter...> [Umpqua Birds] Re: Winter Raptor Survey Project Needs
10/24/19 9:00 pm Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter...> [Umpqua Birds] Winter Raptor Survey Project Needs

Back to top
Date: 11/19/19 11:17 am
From: Donna Prchal <dprchal3...>
Subject: [Umpqua Birds] Re: Fwd: Magazines available
I am back in town and would be able to pick up the magazines this week or
next.
Thanks
Donna Prchal
541-673-5465

Back to top
Date: 11/13/19 10:46 am
From: Carol Poe, EPDH <accessrdh...>
Subject: [Umpqua Birds] Migrations visitor Tundra Swan
Seen on the North Umpqua River, Echo Drive area. This Tundra Swan has
visited each fall for a few years now. Stays 2-3 days.

Carol Poe

Back to top
Date: 11/9/19 2:45 pm
From: Kenneth Phifer <phiferk...>
Subject: [Umpqua Birds] Birds
This morning in our back yard among other birds we had 2 Varied Thrush and a Hermit Thrush.

Back to top
Date: 11/9/19 2:43 pm
From: Kenneth Phifer <phiferk...>
Subject: [Umpqua Birds] Trail
Trail around Coopers Creek Lake closed for logging above the trail.

Back to top
Date: 11/8/19 8:33 am
From: Jim & Vikki Hein <heinjv...>
I will give that a try Janice

Jim

From: Jim Hein <heinjim...> <mailto:<heinjim...> >
Date: November 7, 2019 at 7:55:32 PM PST
To: Jim Hein <heinjv...> <mailto:<heinjv...> >
Subject: FW: Magazines available

I am needing to thin my birding magazine collection and would love to find them a new home . I have the following magazines to give to anyone interested.

Birding Feb 2000-Feb. 2019

Birders Guide Dec 2013-Jan 2019

American Birds 2002-2016

Winging It April 1996-December 2012

Birders World Jan 2000-Aug 2003

Wild Birds Jan 2000-Aug 2003

Also assorted
BirdQuest newsletters

Christmas Bird Count

Oregon Birds

There may be an issue missing here or there but for the most part complete

To anyone wanting stimulating reading or pretty pictures.

Jim Hein

<heinjv...> <mailto:<heinjv...>

Back to top
Date: 11/8/19 8:32 am
From: Jim & Vikki Hein <heinjv...>

On Nov 7, 2019, at 9:04 PM, Donna Prchal <dprchal3...> <mailto:<dprchal3...> > wrote:

Hi,

I'm am a member of the Umpqua Valley Audubon board working on putting together some educational presentations for school age students. I am thinking some of these magazines could provide some useful information/pictures that we may be able to use. I would be interested in taking some of these off of your hands, especially those with good pictures/visuals.

Thank you,

Donna Prchal

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019, 10:43 PM Jim <heinjv...> <mailto:<heinjv...> > wrote:

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jim Hein <heinjim...> <mailto:<heinjim...> >
Date: November 7, 2019 at 7:55:32 PM PST
To: Jim Hein <heinjv...> <mailto:<heinjv...> >

Date: 11/8/19 5:01 am
From: Donna Prchal <dprchal3...>
Jim,
I am in Iowa until the 16th. Would sometime that following week work for
you? I could call when I get back.
Thank you,
Donna

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 9:58 PM Jim <heinjv...> wrote:

> Great. Some have great photos and most have good info. I will be out until
> noon or so tomorrow. Phone #541-784-8581. Give me a call when it is
> convenient for you come out.
> Jim Hein
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Nov 7, 2019, at 9:04 PM, Donna Prchal <dprchal3...> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I'm am a member of the Umpqua Valley Audubon board working on putting
> together some educational presentations for school age students. I am
> thinking some of these magazines could provide some useful
> information/pictures that we may be able to use. I would be interested in
> taking some of these off of your hands, especially those with good
> pictures/visuals.
> Thank you,
> Donna Prchal
>
> On Thu, Nov 7, 2019, 10:43 PM Jim <heinjv...> wrote:
>

>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>> *From:* Jim Hein <heinjim...>
>> *Date:* November 7, 2019 at 7:55:32 PM PST
>> *To:* Jim Hein <heinjv...>
>> *Subject:* *FW: Magazines available*

>> Windows 10

Back to top
Date: 11/7/19 10:11 pm
From: Janice Reid <jeoreid...>
Ask the Roseburg Library.

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 8:43 PM Jim <heinjv...> wrote:

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
> *From:* Jim Hein <heinjim...>
> *Date:* November 7, 2019 at 7:55:32 PM PST
> *To:* Jim Hein <heinjv...>
> *Subject:* *FW: Magazines available*

> Windows 10

Back to top
Date: 11/7/19 9:58 pm
From: Jim <heinjv...>

Date: 11/7/19 9:05 pm
From: Donna Prchal <dprchal3...>
Hi,
I'm am a member of the Umpqua Valley Audubon board working on putting
together some educational presentations for school age students. I am
thinking some of these magazines could provide some useful
information/pictures that we may be able to use. I would be interested in
taking some of these off of your hands, especially those with good
pictures/visuals.
Thank you,
Donna Prchal

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019, 10:43 PM Jim <heinjv...> wrote:

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
> *From:* Jim Hein <heinjim...>
> *Date:* November 7, 2019 at 7:55:32 PM PST
> *To:* Jim Hein <heinjv...>
> *Subject:* *FW: Magazines available*

> Windows 10

Back to top
Date: 11/7/19 8:43 pm
From: Jim <heinjv...>
Subject: [Umpqua Birds] Fwd: Magazines available

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

Date: 11/2/19 7:51 pm
From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter...>
Subject: [Umpqua Birds] Interesting Sapsucker reported on OBOL
The following copied from OBOL.
Matt Hunter
=========
[obol] Yellow-Bellied / Red-naped Sapsucker - Douglas Co.

- *From*: Aaron Beerman <aaron.beerman@xxxxxxxxx>
- *To*: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
- *Date*: Sat, 2 Nov 2019 15:05:22 -0700

I stumbled on an intriguing sapsucker behind the Seven Feather truck stop on my
way back from Louisiana. Probably immature given the amount fo brown feathers
on front and almost zero red on the head. Maybe a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
rather than Red-naped given the large amount of golden color it is retaining,
the time of the year, and complete lack of red on the nape or throat. I could
not see anything that would lead me to believe that it is hybridized in anyway.
I’m always interested in hearing others perspectives though.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S61123744
<https://ebird.org/checklist/S61123744>;<
https://ebird.org/checklist/S61123744>

Exact location: 42.938232, -123.292307

Cheers,
Aaron B

Back to top
Date: 11/2/19 2:57 pm
From: Kenneth Phifer <phiferk...>
Subject: [Umpqua Birds] Birding Ford Pond
Spent about 3 hrs birding Ford Pond this morning and found a wide variety of birds. We found a few Canvasback Ducks in the water near the highway. The most interesting bird took us forever to identify, we about gave up. It was a pale brown bird about 9 inches long with black markings on the tail, wing edge and faint makings around the eye. Finally figured out it was an immature northern Shrike. It was located in the brushy area beyond the pump between the two ponds. In the morning light it looked a pale creamy brown.

Back to top
Date: 10/28/19 10:06 am
From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter...>
Subject: [Umpqua Birds] Re: Tundra_swans_at_Fords_Pond
Are they hanging out at all Jim?
Matt

On Sun, Oct 27, 2019, 09:18 James Houseman <dmarc-noreply...>
wrote:

> The 33 degree morning was treated to 11 tundra swans landing on the pond
> at 9 a.m.
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> To send a message to the list: address email to <umpquabirds...>
> Account management and archives: www.umpquabirds.org/emaillist.htm
> Info on birds in Douglas County: www.umpquabirds.org

Back to top

Date: 10/25/19 6:12 am
From: Jeff Fleischer <dmarc-noreply...> (Redacted sender raptorrunner97321 for DMARC)
Subject: [Umpqua Birds] Re: Winter Raptor Survey Project Needs
Thanks again Matt :)

Jeff

> [...]
>
> 2. We ask that you conduct at least one survey per month during the months of December through February. Optional surveys during November and March are available for those wishing more opportunities. These two months do have migration activity and this project is about monitoring winter populations but these extra surveys are encouraged if you have the desire :)
>
> 3. You should be comfortable driving during winter conditions in your area. SAFETY IS THE NUMBER ONE PRIORITY in this project, we want everyone to enjoy their day in the field but also we want everyone to come home safely as well. To date, we have had zero problems with this and there have been 46,395 hours expended on these surveys while driving a total of 720,939 miles!
>
> 4. Participants should have at least a good pair of binoculars for seeing birds at a distance. Spotting scopes are not required but they would be a plus if you own one.
>
> As part of ECAS’s desire to provide project data to the masses, we entered into an agreement with The Peregrine Fund two winters ago to supply them with our project data, they are now current with 15 years of data and we will continue to be involved with TPF for as long as this project remains active. To say the least, TPF is more than happy to have our data as they continue a major project of theirs to create a worldwide raptor database. ECAS is happy to have this opportunity to support their efforts :)
>
> If this sounds like something that you would like to get involved with, we would enjoy having your help this winter! If one of the listed routes interests you, please do not hesitate to email me with your choice and I will provide an additional amount of information, including a project survey protocol, to get you set up for your activity. To get a better feel for the covered areas of this project, I invite you to visit the ECAS website (ecaudubon.org <http://ecaudubon.org/>) and click on "winter raptor survey" in the projects section on their home page and you will be able to access one of several monthly interactive species maps that display all of the route locations along with density and distribution of the 14 most prominent species in the project.
>
> It would be really great to get these routes into the project this winter, don’t hesitate to jump in and participate! :). Thank you and I will look forward to hearing from those of you who enjoy this regal family of birds and wish to help gather information about them :)
>

> Jeff Fleischer
> Project Coordinator
> Winter Raptor Survey Project
> East Cascades Audubon Society - Bend, OR

Back to top
Date: 10/24/19 10:17 pm
From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter...>

Date: 10/24/19 9:00 pm
From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter...>
Subject: [Umpqua Birds] Winter Raptor Survey Project Needs
[...]

website (ecaudubon.org) and click on "winter raptor survey" in the projects
section on their home page and you will be able to access one of several
monthly interactive species maps that display all of the route locations
along with density and distribution of the 14 most prominent species in the
project.

It would be really great to get these routes into the project this winter,
don’t hesitate to jump in and participate! :). Thank you and I will look
forward to hearing from those of you who enjoy this regal family of birds
and wish to help gather information about them :)

Jeff Fleischer
Project Coordinator
Winter Raptor Survey Project
East Cascades Audubon Society - Bend, OR

Join us on Facebook!