ID-Frontiers
Received From Subject
6/28/20 3:03 pm Peter Pyle <ppyle...> Re: [BIRDWG01] Is this a BW Teal or a hybrid
6/28/20 12:38 pm Alvaro Jaramillo <chucao...> Re: [BIRDWG01] Is this a BW Teal or a hybrid
6/28/20 8:43 am Colin Bradshaw <drcolbradshaw...> [BIRDWG01] Is this a BW Teal or a hybrid
6/27/20 2:22 pm Joseph Morlan <jmorlan...> [BIRDWG01] An Ornithological Mlystery

Back to top
Date: 6/28/20 3:03 pm
From: Peter Pyle <ppyle...>
Subject: Re: [BIRDWG01] Is this a BW Teal or a hybrid
I’m away from resources but believe the pattern to the greater coverts (among other plumage characters) indicates first-cycle female. Bill size in nouveau genus Spatula is fairly dimorphic so being a female supports some shoveler genes, perhaps a smaller proportion in F2 or later descendant. I also agree with Al regarding the orange (and this further steers away from Cinnamon Teal involvement). Peter

Date: 6/28/20 12:38 pm
From: Alvaro Jaramillo <chucao...>
Colin
I would be inclined to consider that bird a hybrid as the bill is not only large, but has a shoveler shape to it. The bill coloration also gives me a shoveler feel. I would think that this bird would stand out as unusual in North America.
Alvaro

Alvaro Jaramillo
<alvaro...>
www.alvarosadventures.com

Date: 6/27/20 2:22 pm
From: Joseph Morlan <jmorlan...>
Subject: [BIRDWG01] An Ornithological Mlystery
With apologies to William Brewster.

Hoping somebody on this list might be able to help us out with a bit of a
mystery.

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/242888911

I recorded what I thought was an unfamiliar song at San Gregorio,
California on 12 June. Nobody I contacted is familiar with this sound but
there is a weak consensus that it is some sort of begging call perhaps from
a baby bird. Problem is that nobody seems to have noticed this call before
or has any idea what species it might be.

Any thought you may have would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA
"Discovery happens when you are not looking for something" - Al Jaramillo

Archives: https://listserv.ksu.edu/birdwg01.html

Join us on Facebook!