NFC-L
Received From Subject
10/3/18 10:22 am Christopher T. Tessaglia-Hymes <cth4...> [nfc-l] eBird Report - Cornell University--Schoellkopf Field, Oct 1, 2018
9/26/18 10:35 am Christopher T. Tessaglia-Hymes <cth4...> Re: [nfc-l] noise with OB21c microphone + solid state recording using AC power

Back to top
Date: 10/3/18 10:22 am
From: Christopher T. Tessaglia-Hymes <cth4...>
Subject: [nfc-l] eBird Report - Cornell University--Schoellkopf Field, Oct 1, 2018
Thought I would share this eBird list from the other night (Monday night). These are estimates, or specific call counts, of night migrants heard or seen flying in the airspace around Schoellkopf Stadium at Cornell University in Ithaca, NY. That night was nowhere near the epic night migration on 11 October 2005, as described in this Wilson Journal of Ornithology article: https://www.jstor.org/stable/20456044 (not sure everyone has access to view…). There were no birds visibly in distress. If anything, calling rates were simply higher around the ambient light reflecting off the low foggy cloud ceiling.

Curious Bunting/Grosbeak NFC is attached. This NFC is among the lower frequency sounding NFC examples I’ve heard for Indigo Bunting, if this is in fact an Indigo. I’m curious to know what others think about this as a possible Blue Grosbeak. Human voices are from a group of college students goofing around down on the field.

Good night listening!

Sincerely,
Chris T-H

Cornell University--Schoellkopf Field, Tompkins, New York, US

Oct 1, 2018 8:24 PM - 9:50 PM

Protocol: Stationary

Comments: Excellent night migration. Predicted, suspected. Low foggy cloud ceiling, bright ambient lights at Schoellkopf Stadium. No practice or game, so little other acoustic disturbances for listening. This was the second best night migration I have personally experienced at this locale. Numbers are not call counts, but best estimates of numbers of individuals. Extremely conservative. Actual call count could easily be quadrupled or more. Very few birds continued to circle around more than once, if rarely twice; most could be heard audibly transiting over this area, with calling rates increasing while over brightly lit area. Once lights were extinguished, all calls ceased immediately.
12 species (+3 other taxa)

Gray-cheeked Thrush 48
NFC 48 | extremely conservative estimate of number of individuals.

Swainson's Thrush 102
NFC 102 | extremely conservative estimated number of individuals.

Wood Thrush 2
NFC 2

sparrow sp. 2
NFC 2 | one possibly was White-throated, but uncertain.

Common Yellowthroat 4
NFC 4 | distinct individuals

Cape May Warbler 5
NFC 5 Distinct night flight calls from this species heard directly overhead with several minutes between calls.

Bay-breasted Warbler 1
NFC 1 | Loudly calling individual, later observed flying and foraging in enclosed portion of upper Crescent. Logan confirmed visual ID.

Chestnut-sided Warbler 2
NFC 2 | audibly distinct calls from this species.

Blackpoll Warbler 6
NFC 6 | observed birds flying low, visible in the lights as well as foraging in ambient lit treetops. Majority of warbler NFCs were likely Blackpoll zeeps.

Black-throated Blue Warbler 12
NFC | 12 estimated number of distinct individuals

warbler sp. (Parulidae sp.) 205
NFC 205 | this is an extremely conservative best estimate of individuals passing through the stadium area during this count period. Likely hundreds more in broader audible range.

Scarlet Tanager 3
NFC 3 | distinct "pew-weet" or "pee-vee" calls from this species, audible during earlier time of listening period.

Rose-breasted Grosbeak 5
NFC 5 | audible clear squeaky "eek" notes heard during earlier portion of count period.

Indigo Bunting 2
NFC 2 | clearly musical sounding buzzes heard of a group of individuals occurring over a short time span

passerine sp. 1
NFC 1 | particularly intriguing low frequency sounding ringing buzz, reminiscent of the overlap of Indigo Bunting and Blue Grosbeak flight call. Beefier sounding. Around 21:02. Recorded.

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48899858

Christopher T. Tessaglia-Hymes
Field Applications Engineer
Bioacoustics Research Program, Cornell Lab of Ornithology
159 Sapsucker Woods Road, Ithaca, New York 14850
W: 607-254-2418<tel:607-254-2418> M: 607-351-5740<tel:607-351-5740> F: 607-254-1132<tel:607-254-1132>
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/brp

Welcome and Basics – http://www.northeastbirding.com/NFC_WELCOME
Rules and Information – http://www.northeastbirding.com/NFC_RULES
Subscribe, Configuration and Leave – http://www.northeastbirding.com/NFC-L_SubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

Archives:
The Mail Archive – http://www.mail-archive.com/<nfc-l...>/maillist.html
Surfbirds – http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NFC-L
Birding.ABA.Org – http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NFC

Please submit your observations to eBird! – http://ebird.org/content/ebird/
--

Back to top
Date: 9/26/18 10:35 am
From: Christopher T. Tessaglia-Hymes <cth4...>
Subject: Re: [nfc-l] noise with OB21c microphone + solid state recording using AC power
Hey Wim,

Glad to hear that the grounding solution was in fact the easiest fix, for now. Yeah, extra wiring is ugly, but sometimes it’s necessary to make things work out.

Sincerely,
Chris T-H

On Sep 20, 2018, at 1:40 PM, Wim van Dam <wim.van.dam...><mailto:<wim.van.dam...>> wrote:

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Chris was right: I needed to ground my recorder. The buzz stopped as soon as I wired the headphone jack to a gas pipe in my house. While my Marantz PMD661 is a nice recorder, it apparently is not designed to be powered by AC while getting its signal from another AC powered microphone. In the long run I will probably get myself a proper external battery for the recorder, but for the moment I'll fix this with some ugly wiring.

Thanks again.

Wim van Dam
Solvang, CA, USA

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 1:08 AM, Magnus Robb <magnus.robb...><mailto:<magnus.robb...>> wrote:
Wim, I don’t know if your Marantz accepts external USB power. If it does you could buy a high capacity powerbank (say, 20000mAh or more), connecting it with a USB cable, and that would probably solve both problems: autonomy and noise.

all the best,

Magnus Robb

On 20 Sep 2018, at 00:13:39, Wim van Dam <wim.van.dam...><mailto:<wim.van.dam...>> wrote:

[I'm not sure if this newsgroup is still alive, but here goes.]

This week I finally installed my OldBird 21c microphone and I'm having some noise issues. In my setting I use a Marantz solid state recorder for my recordings. When I power this recorder with its standard AA batteries, things are fine but it does not allow me to record for more than a few hours. When I use AC power for the recorder instead, a lot of noise shows up at 1500Hz, 1620Hz, 1740Hz, 1860Hz, etc. Likely this has to do with the fact that the recorder and the OB21c microphone use the same AC outlet.

What is the best solution to this problem?

Thanks
Wim van Dam
Solvang, CA, USA