NFC-L
Received From Subject
11/14/17 9:01 am Dioni Loïc Sauvé <dioni.loic.sauve...> Re: [nfc-l] ADMIN: Cornell Server Crash
11/14/17 5:16 am Christopher T. Tessaglia-Hymes <cth4...> [nfc-l] ADMIN: Cornell Server Crash
11/10/17 1:09 am Magnus Robb <magnus.robb...> Re: [nfc-l] Catharus thrushes in weird places
11/9/17 8:50 pm Dioni Loïc Sauvé <dioni.loic.sauve...> Re: [nfc-l] Zoom H1 recorder: can I charge it via a USB Power Bank?
11/9/17 6:22 pm Olivier Barden <iridosornis...> Re: [nfc-l] Catharus thrushes in weird places
11/9/17 12:02 pm Christopher Heckscher <checkscher...> Re: [nfc-l] Gray-cheeked thrush?
11/9/17 11:14 am Nathan Hentze <w_tanager...> Re: [nfc-l] Gray-cheeked thrush?
11/9/17 11:09 am <luca.baghino...> [nfc-l] Zoom H1 recorder: can I charge it via a USB Power Bank?
11/9/17 9:41 am Debbie Leick <dleick...> Re: [nfc-l] Gray-cheeked thrush?
11/9/17 9:35 am Debbie Leick <dleick...> Re: [nfc-l] Gray-cheeked thrush?
11/9/17 8:20 am Ted Floyd <tfloyd...> Re: [nfc-l] Gray-cheeked thrush?
11/9/17 6:37 am Christopher Heckscher <checkscher...> Re: [nfc-l] Gray-cheeked thrush?
11/9/17 2:53 am Magnus Robb <magnus.robb...> [nfc-l] Catharus thrushes in weird places
11/8/17 6:10 pm Kenneth V. Rosenberg <kvr2...> Re: [nfc-l] Gray-cheeked thrush?
11/8/17 4:08 pm Ted Floyd <tfloyd...> Re: [nfc-l] Gray-cheeked thrush?
11/8/17 2:15 pm Debbie Leick <dleick...> Re: [nfc-l] Gray-cheeked thrush?
11/8/17 2:09 pm Debbie Leick <dleick...> [nfc-l] Gray-cheeked thrush?
11/7/17 5:42 pm Bill Evans <wrevans...> Re: [nfc-l] flight call guide update
11/7/17 4:59 pm Dioni Loïc Sauvé <dioni.loic.sauve...> Re: [nfc-l] flight call guide update
11/6/17 9:17 pm Dioni Loïc Sauvé <dioni.loic.sauve...> Re: [nfc-l] flight call guide update
11/6/17 8:55 pm Bill Evans <wrevans...> [nfc-l] flight call guide update
10/28/17 1:20 pm Dioni Loïc Sauvé <dioni.loic.sauve...> [nfc-l] Re: [nfc-l] Re: [nfc-l] RE: [nfc-l] Re: Dioni Loïc Sauvé - New in the list NFC-L
10/28/17 1:19 pm Dioni Loïc Sauvé <dioni.loic.sauve...> [nfc-l] Re: [nfc-l] Re: [nfc-l] RE: [nfc-l] Re: Dioni Loïc Sauvé - New in the list NFC-L
10/28/17 1:18 pm Dioni Loïc Sauvé <dioni.loic.sauve...> [nfc-l] Re: [nfc-l] Re: [nfc-l] RE: [nfc-l] Re: Dioni Loïc Sauvé - New in the list NFC-L
10/28/17 9:16 am Dominic Garcia-Hall <dominic.hall...> [nfc-l] Re: [nfc-l] RE: [nfc-l] Re: Dioni Loïc Sauvé - New in the list NFC-L
10/28/17 7:25 am John Kearney <john.kearney...> [nfc-l] RE: [nfc-l] Re: Dioni Loïc Sauvé - New in the list NFC-L
10/27/17 5:01 pm Dioni Loïc Sauvé <dioni.loic.sauve...> [nfc-l] Need a confirmation, flying call
10/27/17 1:10 pm Dioni Loïc Sauvé <dioni.loic.sauve...> [nfc-l] Re: [nfc-l] RE: [nfc-l] Re: [nfc-l] RE: [nfc-l] Dioni Loïc Sauvé - New in the list NFC-L
10/27/17 1:04 pm Dioni Loïc Sauvé <dioni.loic.sauve...> [nfc-l] Re: Dioni Loïc Sauvé - New in the list NFC-L
10/26/17 11:32 am John Kearney <john.kearney...> [nfc-l] RE: [nfc-l] Re: [nfc-l] RE: [nfc-l] Dioni Loïc Sauvé - New in the list NFC-L
10/25/17 8:49 pm Dioni Loïc Sauvé <dioni.loic.sauve...> [nfc-l] Re: [nfc-l] Dioni Loïc Sauvé - New in the list NFC-L
10/25/17 8:34 pm Dioni Loïc Sauvé <dioni.loic.sauve...> [nfc-l] Fwd: [nfc-l] Dioni Loïc Sauvé - New in the list NFC-L
10/25/17 12:34 pm Dioni Loïc Sauvé <dioni.loic.sauve...> [nfc-l] Re: [nfc-l] RE: [nfc-l] Dioni Loïc Sauvé - New in the list NFC-L
10/25/17 3:41 am John Kearney <john.kearney...> [nfc-l] RE: [nfc-l] Dioni Loïc Sauvé - New in the list NFC-L
10/24/17 1:52 pm Dioni Loïc Sauvé <dioni.loic.sauve...> [nfc-l] Dioni Loïc Sauvé - New in the list NFC-L
10/23/17 7:18 pm Liisa S. Mobley <lsk24...> [nfc-l] Questions about black-throated blue warbler night migration

Back to top
Date: 11/14/17 9:01 am
From: Dioni Loïc Sauvé <dioni.loic.sauve...>
Subject: Re: [nfc-l] ADMIN: Cornell Server Crash
The Macaulay library server is not yet accessible. :(

Dioni Loïc Sauvé
Laval, Québec

The Mail Archive http://www.mail-archive.com/<nfc-l...>/maillist.html

Please submit your observations to eBird! http://ebird.org/content/ebird/
--

Back to top
Date: 11/14/17 5:16 am
From: Christopher T. Tessaglia-Hymes <cth4...>
Subject: [nfc-l] ADMIN: Cornell Server Crash
[...]

<cth4...><mailto:<cth4...>

Date: 11/10/17 1:09 am
From: Magnus Robb <magnus.robb...>
Subject: Re: [nfc-l] Catharus thrushes in weird places
Hello Olivier,

I accept that to more experienced NA ears the Swiss call does not sit comfortably with Swainson’s Thrush. Bill Evans told me it ends at a frequency that would make it atypical for the species, and some clear modulation would also be desirable.

However, the Chaffinch call you are referring to is not a flight call but a breeding season call used in a songlike manner. I’ve never heard it after the summer. The two flight calls of Chaffinch are a low, soft, rapidly descending ‘puw’ and a loud, bright ‘pink’, especially when flying alone.

I also hear finches at night now and then, but of the genus Fringilla i’ve heard Brambling a few times and almost never Chaffinch despite Brambling being much less common. Other night finches here include European Goldfinch and, this year in particular, Hawfinch.

Best,

Magnus

Date: 11/9/17 8:50 pm
From: Dioni Loïc Sauvé <dioni.loic.sauve...>
Subject: Re: [nfc-l] Zoom H1 recorder: can I charge it via a USB Power Bank?
Hello,

If I understand correctly, you want to plug your device into an electrical
outlet? I never thought about it with a USB Power Bank 5V. Tell me please
if someone answered you.

Dioni Loïc Sauvé
Laval, Québec

Date: 11/9/17 6:22 pm
From: Olivier Barden <iridosornis...>

Date: 11/9/17 12:02 pm
From: Christopher Heckscher <checkscher...>
Subject: Re: [nfc-l] Gray-cheeked thrush?

Hi All,

I apologize for the confusion. I am also not aware of any published information on the routes of Gray-cheeked Thrush migrating from Brithish Columbia. In addition to the link provided by Nathan regarding Swainson's Thrush, the below articles show Veery (not GCTH) breeding in BC use an eastern route across the northern Rockies. However, it seems plausible that Gray-cheeked do the same.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jofo.12207/abstract

[http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/store/10.1111/jofo.2017.88.issue-3/asset/cover.gif?v=1&s=1c3c5066032b3239189ee0759516ac12e271950f]<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jofo.12207/abstract>

The pull of the Central Flyway? Veeries breeding in western Canada migrate using an ancestral eastern route<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jofo.12207/abstract>
onlinelibrary.wiley.com
enesUnderstanding non$B!>(Bbreeding season movements and identifying wintering areas of different populations of migratory birds is important for establishing patterns of migratory connectivity over the annual...

http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.1642/AUK-14-260.1

[http://www.bioone.org/na101/home/literatum/publisher/bioone/journals/content/tauk/2015/00048038-132.3/00048038-132.3/20150722-01/00048038-132.3.cover.jpg]<http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.1642/AUK-14-260.1>

The Auk - BioOne<http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.1642/AUK-14-260.1>
www.bioone.org
ABSTRACT We investigated movements of a western population of Veeries (Catharus fuscescens) breeding in the Okanagan region of British Columbia, Canada, in 2013 ...

C. Heckscher

________________________________

Date: 11/9/17 9:41 am
From: Debbie Leick <dleick...>
That's really exciting Christopher! Is this your study or in the literature? I'd like to reference it.

----------------

Date: 11/9/17 9:35 am
From: Debbie Leick <dleick...>
Ken, my boss, Kate Stone, is on the MT Bird Records Committee. We couldn't ask for a better NFC advocate!
Ted, thanks for the shout out in the ABA blog. Just to clarify that Carrie Voss initially spotted this call. She is processing and reviewing data from our 25+ microphone array we installed this fall. I think we're up to 7-8 TB of recordings! More info about our project here: https://www.mpgranch.com/research/nocturnal-flight-call-monitoring-update
Thanks everyone for the input and discussion.

Date: 11/9/17 8:20 am
From: Ted Floyd <tfloyd...>
Hey, all.

Here's a little ditty, posted this morning to The ABA Blog, on Debbie
Leick's Gray-cheeked Thrush in Montana, USA. Also, the broader story of the
online version of Flight Calls of Migratory Birds. Here:

http://blog.aba.org/2017/11/nocturnal-flight-calls-online.html

Ted Floyd
Lafayette, Boulder County, Colorado, USA

===================================

Ted Floyd
Editor, *Birding* magazine
Managing Editor, *North American Birds*

Website: http://aba.org/birding
Twitter: http://twitter.com/BirdingMagazine
<https://twitter.com/BirdingMagazine>
The ABA Blog: http://blog.aba.org/

Date: 11/9/17 6:37 am
From: Christopher Heckscher <checkscher...>
I agree with Ken this is definitely a Gray-cheeked Thrush. Interestingly, GCTH tracked from breeding grounds in western British Columbia via geolocators and GPS units show routes eastward across Montana prior to moving south toward the Gulf of Mexico.

Christopher Heckscher

________________________________
Pretty definitely a Gray-cheeked Thrush. I just heard many in Panam after hearing them in NY earlier in the fall. Will be interesting to see how this is treated by the records Committees.

Ken

Sent from my iPhone

Twitter: http://twitter.com/BirdingMagazine<https://twitter.com/BirdingMagazine>
The ABA Blog: http://blog.aba.org/<http://blog.aba.org>

Date: 11/9/17 2:53 am
From: Magnus Robb <magnus.robb...>
Subject: [nfc-l] Catharus thrushes in weird places

Date: 11/8/17 4:08 pm
From: Ted Floyd <tfloyd...>

Date: 11/8/17 2:15 pm
From: Debbie Leick <dleick...>
Recording attached.

Date: 11/7/17 5:42 pm
From: Bill Evans <wrevans...>
Subject: Re: [nfc-l] flight call guide update
Dioni-

The microphone for sale produces an analog signal. It is the audio recorder not the microphone that determines the bit rate -- the microphone could be used with a 24-bit recorder to produce audio recordings.

Bill

Date: 11/7/17 4:59 pm
From: Dioni Loïc Sauvé <dioni.loic.sauve...>

Date: 11/6/17 9:17 pm
From: Dioni Loïc Sauvé <dioni.loic.sauve...>

Date: 10/28/17 1:20 pm
From: Dioni Loïc Sauvé <dioni.loic.sauve...>
Subject: [nfc-l] Re: [nfc-l] Re: [nfc-l] RE: [nfc-l] Re: Dioni Loïc Sauvé - New in the list NFC-L
Hello, I intended to get this program (Raven pro) from elsewhere.

So about that,

If there is documentation, if there are courses or anything else to
facilitate learning the program, I would love to get it!

Dioni Loïc Sauvé
Laval, Québec

Date: 10/28/17 1:19 pm
From: Dioni Loïc Sauvé <dioni.loic.sauve...>

Date: 10/28/17 1:18 pm
From: Dioni Loïc Sauvé <dioni.loic.sauve...>
About that,

If there is documentation, if there are courses or anything else to
facilitate the learning of the program Raven pro, I would love to get it!

Dioni Loïc Sauvé
Laval, Québec

Date: 10/28/17 9:16 am
From: Dominic Garcia-Hall <dominic.hall...>
Hi All
Sorry to piggyback this discussion but am curious if anyone has seen any
good tutorials on Raven Pro.
I bought it a couple years ago thinking it would streamline/improve my
work-flow (beyond audacity) but haven't really used it that much as i find
the UX pretty counterintuitive and the manual not very good.
It might partly be down to my lack of perseverance, of course....
cheers
Dominic
PS - Back in England for a while and lots of Pink-footed geese, Redwings
and Fieldfares on my NFC tape last night! Nice to hear the sounds of
migration on a different continent.

*Dominic Garcia-Hall*

*www.antbirds.com <http://www.antbirds.com>*

*NY +1 917 740 1945*
*UK +44 161 408 4002*

Date: 10/28/17 7:25 am
From: John Kearney <john.kearney...>
[...]

Here are some of my first graphs if someone wants to help me: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1731927110445620.1073741851.100008850429260 <https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1731927110445620.1073741851.100008850429260&type=1&l=13eaff1366> &type=1&l=13eaff1366

Dioni Loïc Sauvé

Laval

<http://www.northeastbirding.com/NFC_WELCOME> Welcome and Basics

<http://www.northeastbirding.com/NFC_RULES> Rules and Information

<http://www.northeastbirding.com/NFC-L_SubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm> Subscribe, Configuration and Leave

Archives:

<http://www.mail-archive.com/<nfc-l...>/maillist.html> The Mail Archive

<http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NFC-L> Surfbirds

<http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NFC> Birding.ABA.Org

Date: 10/27/17 5:01 pm
From: Dioni Loïc Sauvé <dioni.loic.sauve...>
Subject: [nfc-l] Need a confirmation, flying call
Hello, may I get a confirmation of my spectrogram please! I heard that
flying calls in night. I am from Canada, Québec, Laval.

Dioni Loïc Sauvé
Laval, Québec

Date: 10/27/17 1:10 pm
From: Dioni Loïc Sauvé <dioni.loic.sauve...>
Subject: [nfc-l] Re: [nfc-l] RE: [nfc-l] Re: [nfc-l] RE: [nfc-l] Dioni Loïc Sauvé - New in the list NFC-L
Just to be certain: if I understand correctly, the Raven Pro program can
identify the graphics itself?

Dioni Loïc Sauvé
Laval, Québec

Date: 10/27/17 1:04 pm
From: Dioni Loïc Sauvé <dioni.loic.sauve...>

Date: 10/25/17 8:49 pm
From: Dioni Loïc Sauvé <dioni.loic.sauve...>
Ah, maybe Lincoln's sparrow?

Dioni Loïc Sauvé
Laval, Québec

Date: 10/25/17 12:34 pm
From: Dioni Loïc Sauvé <dioni.loic.sauve...>

Date: 10/23/17 7:18 pm
From: Liisa S. Mobley <lsk24...>
Subject: [nfc-l] Questions about black-throated blue warbler night migration

Hi everyone-
I’m a lurker on this list as I don’t do a whole lot of night flight call listening and recording. However, I’m working on a painting of a black-throated blue warbler at dusk during the autumn night migration, as part of a group art show next year. I have a couple of questions for you all.

In addition to the actual painting, I’m going to frame a screenshot I grabbed of migration showing up on the northeastern US Doppler radars from the National Weather Service (public domain, fortunately), to help people visualize the scale of night migration. I was thinking it might be fun to also include a spectrogram of a BTBW night flight song if anyone has one available and wouldn’t mind having me put it in a show, with appropriate credit, of course. Is anyone is interested in sharing a spectrogram?

Our group art shows, which all have a natural science theme, usually go to at least 3-4 venues in upstate NY, so it is a good way to educate people. Here’s a link to our past exhibits (website needs a bit of updating!) if you are interested in what we do:http://gnsifingerlakes.wixsite.com/gnsi-fingerlakes/exhibits

One other question - would it be likely that the BTBW would be joining a large flock? I keep wondering if I should put little bird specks into the more distant sky.

Thanks!
-Liisa

Liisa Mobley