mdbirding
Received From Subject
6/19/24 1:53 pm Harry Armistead <harryarmistead...> [MDBirding] Ferry Neck, June 12-16, 2023.
6/16/24 2:17 pm Robert McLean <tmclean1090...> Re: [MDBirding] Faint recording, could this be a Bobwhite?
6/16/24 12:18 pm Denise Ryan <screechowl...> [MDBirding] Faint recording, could this be a Bobwhite?
6/14/24 5:58 pm SUE RICCIARDI <susiericc...> [MDBirding] Fort Smallwood Park (11 Jun 2024) 6 Raptors
6/12/24 7:16 am Cintia Cabib <cintia...> [MDBirding] "Bird Walk" D.C. Premiere on June 22
6/11/24 6:34 am <rob.hil......> <rob.hilton.2010...> Re: [MDBirding] Re: Peregrine Falcons in Downtown Silver Spring
6/10/24 8:08 pm SUE RICCIARDI <susiericc...> [MDBirding] Fort Smallwood Park (10 Jun 2024) 5 Raptors
6/10/24 8:07 pm SUE RICCIARDI <susiericc...> [MDBirding] Fort Smallwood Park (09 Jun 2024) 10 Raptors
6/9/24 3:25 am SUE RICCIARDI <susiericc...> [MDBirding] Fort Smallwood Park (08 Jun 2024) 16 Raptors
6/8/24 9:26 am Dana Best <db3492...> [MDBirding] Re: Great egret in wheaton
6/7/24 7:56 pm SUE RICCIARDI <susiericc...> [MDBirding] Fort Smallwood Park (07 Jun 2024) 2 Raptors
6/7/24 6:39 am Cass <enbycass...> Re: [MDBirding] Re: Peregrine Falcons in Downtown Silver Spring
6/7/24 6:14 am Stella T <stazandgazer...> Re: [MDBirding] Re: Peregrine Falcons in Downtown Silver Spring
6/6/24 7:26 pm SUE RICCIARDI <susiericc...> [MDBirding] Fort Smallwood Park (06 Jun 2024) 3 Raptors
6/4/24 2:29 pm Robert McLean <tmclean1090...> Re: [MDBirding] Blue Grosebeak fluttering at window
6/4/24 12:01 pm Steve Long <steve.long4...> [MDBirding] Blue Grosebeak fluttering at window
6/3/24 8:38 pm SUE RICCIARDI <susiericc...> [MDBirding] Fort Smallwood Park (03 Jun 2024) 5 Raptors
6/3/24 9:11 am Harry Armistead <harryarmistead...> [MDBirding] Ferry Neck, May 23-28, 2024.
6/2/24 7:34 pm SUE RICCIARDI <susiericc...> [MDBirding] Fort Smallwood Park (02 Jun 2024) 13 Raptors
6/2/24 6:24 pm 'James Tyler Bell' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...> [MDBirding] Common Raven vocalization in St. Mary's County, 6/2/24
6/1/24 7:54 pm SUE RICCIARDI <susiericc...> [MDBirding] Fort Smallwood Park (01 Jun 2024) 4 Raptors
5/31/24 9:00 pm SUE RICCIARDI <susiericc...> [MDBirding] Fort Smallwood Park (31 May 2024) 15 Raptors
5/30/24 8:47 pm SUE RICCIARDI <susiericc...> [MDBirding] Fort Smallwood Park (30 May 2024) 10 Raptors
5/30/24 4:43 am SUE RICCIARDI <susiericc...> [MDBirding] Fort Smallwood Park (29 May 2024) 20 Raptors
5/29/24 6:54 am Robert McLean <tmclean1090...> Re: [MDBirding] Help with ID: Acadian flycatcher?
5/29/24 6:40 am 'Ted on Little Round Bay' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...> [MDBirding] Help with ID: Acadian flycatcher?
5/28/24 9:11 pm SUE RICCIARDI <susiericc...> [MDBirding] Fort Smallwood Park (28 May 2024) 27 Raptors
5/27/24 8:17 pm SUE RICCIARDI <susiericc...> [MDBirding] Fort Smallwood Park (27 May 2024) 11 Raptors
5/27/24 5:23 am SUE RICCIARDI <susiericc...> [MDBirding] Fwd: [BIRDHAWK] Fort Smallwood Park (26 May 2024) 39 Raptors
5/27/24 5:22 am SUE RICCIARDI <susiericc...> [MDBirding] Fort Smallwood Park (25 May 2024) 32 Raptors
5/24/24 8:19 pm Sue Ricciardi <susiericc...> [MDBirding] Fort Smallwood Park (24 May 2024) 31 Raptors

Back to top
Date: 6/19/24 1:53 pm
From: Harry Armistead <harryarmistead...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Ferry Neck, June 12-16, 2023.
FERRY NECK, JUNE 12-16, 2023.

DAY LILLIES BLASTING AWAY EVERYWHERE.

JUNE 12, WEDNESDAY. arrive 5:15. clear, 77, SW 10. has dried out a lot. fields have been sprayed by CRP. ancient fallen LARGE persimmon blocks driveway, big one with woodpecker workings, have to drive the south length of Field 2 to get to the house. first fireflies. 1 Gray Squirrel. lawn has been mowed recently, probably earlier today. 131 Periwinkles on the rocks within 50 feet of the dock.

22 bird species. 1 each of Downy Woodpecker, American Crow, Fish Crow, Blue Jay, Carolina Chickadee, Chipping Sparrow, Indigo Bunting, Green Heron. Mallard, Canada Goose, Barn Swallow, Northern Mockingbird, American Robin, Red-winged Blackbird, European Starling, Mourning Dove. Great Blue Heron 3, Black Vulture 2. A pair of Ospreys has finally taken over our platform, the female in an incubating posture the entire time. Osprey 5. Eastern Bluebird 6. Purple Martin 4. Common Grackle 6. the 1st fireflies. 0 terrapin.

JUNE 13, THURSDAY. missed from Wed. only Mallard, CG, Black Vulture. Not seen Wednesday, seen today: Snowy Egret 1, Cattle Egret 1, Glossy Ibis 3, Brown-headed Nuthatch 1, Chimney Swift 3, Tree Swallow 1, Brown Thrasher 1 (lot of singing), Turkey Vulture 8, Bald Eagle 1, Pine Warbler 2 Double-crested Cormorant 1, Brown-headed Cowbird 3.

small, reddish fawn with lots of spots drinking at the head of the cove. Muskrat 1. Gray Squirrel 2. Day Lillies out full. 0 terrapin. Clear, SSW 15-20, low 70s - 84. very dry.

Eastern Bay Lawn Service made quick work of the fallen Persimmon permitting access at noon for C. Albert Matthews.

JUNE 14, FRIDAY. hot, SW 10-15, temp. up to 88, clear. mostly chores and errands. we dip on the 2 Black-bellied Whistling-Ducks at Easton, my usual luck with the few rare birds I chase. Blue Grosbeak, Indigo Bunting. pair of Brown Thrashers, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Green Heron, 2 Great Blue Herons, the usual 3 swallows. 1 deer. At dusk an Eastern Cottontail at the bird bath. Chris Olszewski is on hand to work the Clover Field. 2 Wood Ducks. 6 Mallards.

JUNE 15, SATURDAY. Ruby-throated Hummingbird 2, the 2 thrashers. NW 15-20 wind slowly diminishing and slowly shifting around to the NNR and NE at the end, then calm, clear, low humidity, 70s, a cold front. Some thunder and lightning last night but, unfortunately, no rain. 1 ad. Herring Gull the only larid this visit. Laughing Gulls are all along the coast for their breeding season. No terrapin this visit. No periwinkles today. Lower than normal tide today thanks to the NW wind.

Glossy Ibis 1. Cattle Egret 2. Great Blue Heron 3. Green heron 1. Gray Squirrel 2. grackles feeding all over the lawn. Mourning Dove 3. Great Crested Flycatcher 1. American Goldfinch 1. Eastern Bluebirds attending the lawn box often, must be a 2nd brood in there.

This is a time of slack tide, no migration going on in mid-June. Liz finds a Fowler’s Toad in one of her planter boxes. Haven’t seen a bluet all spring. 3 Hackberry Emperors. Some Pearlcrescents at the clover.

JUNE 16, SUNDAY. Brown-headed Nuthatch, Downy Woodpecker, Indigo Bunting, Mourning Dove, Blue Jay, American Robin, Tufted Titmouse, Northern Mockingbird, Chipping Sparrow, and 2 Gray Squirrels. Leave for Philadelphia.

See the Black-bellied Whistling-Duck this time right on the edge of the muddy lake next to Mistletoe Drive, Easton, leisurely look at less than 100 feet. Easy to see it is not banded. Photographed by Liz. 10:58 A.M.

Best to all. - Harry Armistead, Bellevue & Philadelphia.

Back to top
Date: 6/16/24 2:17 pm
From: Robert McLean <tmclean1090...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Faint recording, could this be a Bobwhite?

Back to top
Date: 6/16/24 12:18 pm
From: Denise Ryan <screechowl...>
I'm looking for opinions about a call I recorded on Saturday morning in a
BBA3 block near Aquasco, MD at Aquasco Farm Park (note, I have a research
permit to be there after sunset and before dawn for nocturnal birds).

I was working my way down the road in the farm park using a small speaker
to play barn owl calls to try to get a territorial response from a barn
owl, if there are any present. There is an old barn on the property that
looks close to collapse. I have not seen owls in there - but I didn't go in
because it is in very bad shape. The terrain is agricultural fields that
are no till that are either planted with corn or left fallow with flowering
vetch, grasses and weeds. Most of the fields are planted with alfalfa.
Birds seen during the daylight in the fields include wild turkeys, blue
grosbeaks, grasshopper sparrows, chipping sparrows, the occasional
ruby-throated hummingbird feeding on the vetch flowers.

Around 4:40 am as the sky started to brighten with nautical twilight, I got
a response to the barn owl calls from off in the distance. How far? My
guess is at least 100 yards from along a treeline of dense forest adjacent
to the fields. Some of the other birds started to respond to the calls with
their own calls. Indigo buntings, crows and others. Off in the distance I
heard a strange call. I recorded it and Merlin thought it was a red-headed
woodpecker call. It didn't sound like a red-headed woodpecker to me. We
know that Merlin has its limitations.

After thinking about it and listening to many other possible calls, I
thought it was a bobwhite - or the last half of a bobwhite call. And if
you consider that it was about 100 yards away, I might not hear the first
part of the call at all.
What do you think? The link to the report with the recording is at my ebird
link. What do you think? You will hear other birds, and the recording is
about 90 seconds.

You can send me a note directly at screechowl at gmail dot com or share to
the list. I hope to head back there this weekend with a full Moon to light
it up. Thanks!

Denise Ryan
Cheverly, MD

Back to top
Date: 6/14/24 5:58 pm
From: SUE RICCIARDI <susiericc...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Fort Smallwood Park (11 Jun 2024) 6 Raptors
Fort Smallwood Park Pasadena, Maryland, USA

Daily Raptor Counts: Jun 11, 2024

Species

Day's Count

Month Total

Season Total

Black Vulture

0

4

330

Turkey Vulture

3

44

10590

Osprey

0

4

371

Bald Eagle

2

4

163

Northern Harrier

0

0

65

Sharp-shinned Hawk

0

0

790

Cooper's Hawk

0

0

245

American Goshawk

0

0

0

Red-shouldered Hawk

0

0

325

Broad-winged Hawk

1

5

171

Red-tailed Hawk

0

1

134

Rough-legged Hawk

0

0

0

Golden Eagle

0

0

0

American Kestrel

0

0

233

Merlin

0

0

53

Peregrine Falcon

0

0

2

Unknown Accipiter

0

0

11

Unknown Buteo

0

0

8

Unknown Falcon

0

0

7

Unknown Eagle

0

0

1

Unknown Raptor

0

0

30

Mississippi Kite

0

2

15

Swallow-tailed Kite

0

0

1

Total:

6

64

13545

Observation start time:

12:30 pm

Observation end time:

3:30 pm Daylight Time

Total observation time:

3 hours

Official Counter

Hal Wierenga

Observers:

Weather:
Variable cloudiness. 72-74 degrees. Good visibility. Winds
northwesterly, 6-14 mph, gusting to 21 mph.

Raptor Observations:
Still a few migrants on their way north

Report submitted by Sue Ricciardi (<susiericc...>)
More information at hawkcount.org: [Site Profile] [Day Summary] [Month
Summary]

Site Description
Fort Smallwood Park is located on the western shore of Chesapeake
Bay at the
mouth of the Patapsco River, 11 miles south of Baltimore, MD. Best
winds are
from the southwest.

Groups "Maryland & DC Birding" group.
an email to mdbirding+<unsubscribe...>
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mdbirding/<65022353.1632163.1718413069523...>

Back to top
Date: 6/12/24 7:16 am
From: Cintia Cabib <cintia...>
Subject: [MDBirding] "Bird Walk" D.C. Premiere on June 22
Please join us for the D.C. premiere of my documentary “Bird Walk” on Saturday, June 22, 6:30 - 8 p.m., at Busboys and Poets, 14th and V St., NW: https://bit.ly/birdwalk-dc <https://bit.ly/birdwalk-dc>. In the film, birders discover an avian oasis at an abandoned golf course in Rockville, MD and local residents embark on a grassroots campaign to transform the golf course into a public park. A panel discussion following the screening will feature local environmental activists who will speak about the Rock Creek Park Golf Course for All campaign which seeks to limit the number of trees marked for removal for the renovation of the golf course and advocates for the preservation of wildlife habitats at Rock Creek Park. To learn more about “Bird Walk,” visit https://www.birdwalkfilm.com.

Best,

Cintia Cabib

Back to top
Date: 6/11/24 6:34 am
From: <rob.hil......> <rob.hilton.2010...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Re: Peregrine Falcons in Downtown Silver Spring
I saw 2 Peregrine Falcons in the past hour in downtown Silver Spring. At
about 8:48 a.m. I was walking to my parked car in the parking lot for Ace
Hardware, Whole Foods, CVS, etc. I spied a bird on an tall building's
antenna a couple blocks away take off and fly southwest (left), land on the
edge of the parking garage, interact with a second bird. One of those two
then flew back to the antenna, calling once, and landed. This bird/these
birds had long, narrow wings, and a long narrow tail.

At about 9:10 I returned to the parking lot with my binoculars, and
verified that the bird perched on the antenna was an adult Peregrine
Falcon, facing away from me.

Rob Hilton
Silver Spring

On Friday, June 7, 2024 at 9:39:04 AM UTC-4 Cass wrote:

They've been mostly gone, unfortunately. It seems they were just here for
the winter, unless they've just been stealthier.

I haven't seen them since January 25th. After that there was one report of
them by Whole Foods in February and by Metro in March on eBird in addition
to the copulation report here (though it never appeared on eBird).

The ravens at Walter Reed did nest there again this spring and at least two
of the young survived (there were four chicks and then three fledglings),
though I haven't seen or heard them in a few weeks.

On Fri, Jun 7, 2024, 9:14 AM Stella T <stazan......> wrote:

Good morning,

Does anyone have updates on the peregrine? I just past by the World
Building in a shuttle bus and couldn't make out what might be there from a
distance.

Best,
Stella
Silver Spring, MD

Back to top
Date: 6/10/24 8:08 pm
From: SUE RICCIARDI <susiericc...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Fort Smallwood Park (10 Jun 2024) 5 Raptors
Fort Smallwood Park
Pasadena, Maryland, USA

Daily Raptor Counts: Jun 10, 2024

Species

Day's Count

Month Total

Season Total

Black Vulture

0

4

330

Turkey Vulture

2

41

10587

Osprey

0

4

371

Bald Eagle

1

2

161

Northern Harrier

0

0

65

Sharp-shinned Hawk

0

0

790

Cooper's Hawk

0

0

245

American Goshawk

0

0

0

Red-shouldered Hawk

0

0

325

Broad-winged Hawk

2

4

170

Red-tailed Hawk

0

1

134

Rough-legged Hawk

0

0

0

Golden Eagle

0

0

0

American Kestrel

0

0

233

Merlin

0

0

53

Peregrine Falcon

0

0

2

Unknown Accipiter

0

0

11

Unknown Buteo

0

0

8

Unknown Falcon

0

0

7

Unknown Eagle

0

0

1

Unknown Raptor

0

0

30

Mississippi Kite

0

2

15

Swallow-tailed Kite

0

0

1

Total:

5

58

13539

Observation start time:

11:00 am

Observation end time:

3:30 pm Daylight Time

Total observation time:

4.5 hours

Official Counter

Hal Wierenga

Observers:

Visitors:
Larry and Betty Dunag

Weather:
Partly cloudy. 78-82 degrees. Excellent visibility. Winds westerly
sometimes with a northwest component, 9-14 mph, gusting to 22 mph.
Report submitted by Sue Ricciardi (<susiericc...>)
More information at hawkcount.org: [Site Profile] [Day Summary] [Month
Summary]

Site Description
Fort Smallwood Park is located on the western shore of Chesapeake
Bay at the
mouth of the Patapsco River, 11 miles south of Baltimore, MD. Best
winds are
from the southwest.

Groups "Maryland & DC Birding" group.
an email to mdbirding+<unsubscribe...>
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mdbirding/<1878990408.1292649.1718075263380...>

Back to top
Date: 6/10/24 8:07 pm
From: SUE RICCIARDI <susiericc...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Fort Smallwood Park (09 Jun 2024) 10 Raptors
Fort Smallwood Park
Pasadena, Maryland, USA

Daily Raptor Counts: Jun 09, 2024

Species

Day's Count

Month Total

Season Total

Black Vulture

0

4

330

Turkey Vulture

9

39

10585

Osprey

0

4

371

Bald Eagle

1

1

160

Northern Harrier

0

0

65

Sharp-shinned Hawk

0

0

790

Cooper's Hawk

0

0

245

American Goshawk

0

0

0

Red-shouldered Hawk

0

0

325

Broad-winged Hawk

0

2

168

Red-tailed Hawk

0

1

134

Rough-legged Hawk

0

0

0

Golden Eagle

0

0

0

American Kestrel

0

0

233

Merlin

0

0

53

Peregrine Falcon

0

0

2

Unknown Accipiter

0

0

11

Unknown Buteo

0

0

8

Unknown Falcon

0

0

7

Unknown Eagle

0

0

1

Unknown Raptor

0

0

30

Mississippi Kite

0

2

15

Swallow-tailed Kite

0

0

1

Total:

10

53

13534

Observation start time:

11:00 am

Observation end time:

3:30 pm Daylight Time

Total observation time:

4.5 hours

Official Counter

Hal Wierenga, Sue Ricciardi

Observers:

Dan Walker, Hal Wierenga

Weather:
Mostly cloudy. 80-84 degrees. Excellent visibility. A passing cold
front produced very strong winds out of the WNW, 17-20 mph,
gusting to 33 mph.

Raptor Observations:
Turkey Vultures battled the wind to migrate, but a juvenile Bald
Eagle went north with seeming ease.

Report submitted by Sue Ricciardi (<susiericc...>)
More information at hawkcount.org: [Site Profile] [Day Summary] [Month
Summary]

Site Description
Fort Smallwood Park is located on the western shore of Chesapeake
Bay at the
mouth of the Patapsco River, 11 miles south of Baltimore, MD. Best
winds are
from the southwest.

Groups "Maryland & DC Birding" group.
an email to mdbirding+<unsubscribe...>
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mdbirding/<1664550825.1292629.1718075193147...>

Back to top
Date: 6/9/24 3:25 am
From: SUE RICCIARDI <susiericc...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Fort Smallwood Park (08 Jun 2024) 16 Raptors
Fort Smallwood Park Pasadena, Maryland, USA

Daily Raptor Counts: Jun 08, 2024

Species

Day's Count

Month Total

Season Total

Black Vulture

0

4

330

Turkey Vulture

14

30

10576

Osprey

0

4

371

Bald Eagle

0

0

159

Northern Harrier

0

0

65

Sharp-shinned Hawk

0

0

790

Cooper's Hawk

0

0

245

American Goshawk

0

0

0

Red-shouldered Hawk

0

0

325

Broad-winged Hawk

1

2

168

Red-tailed Hawk

0

1

134

Rough-legged Hawk

0

0

0

Golden Eagle

0

0

0

American Kestrel

0

0

233

Merlin

0

0

53

Peregrine Falcon

0

0

2

Unknown Accipiter

0

0

11

Unknown Buteo

0

0

8

Unknown Falcon

0

0

7

Unknown Eagle

0

0

1

Unknown Raptor

0

0

30

Mississippi Kite

1

2

15

Swallow-tailed Kite

0

0

1

Total:

16

43

13524

Observation start time:

12:30 pm

Observation end time:

4:00 pm Daylight Time

Total observation time:

3.5 hours

Official Counter

Hal Wierenga

Observers:

Weather:
Partly cloudy. 77-80 degrees. Fair to good visibility. Winds
variable, ending WSW, 5-7 mph.

Raptor Observations:
After two days of westerly winds, migrants were more numerous
today. MISSISSIPPI KITE #5 appeared at 2:06 pm Daylight Time. An
immature, it tarried some making its way to the northwest. Oddly,
the Broadwing was an adult.

Report submitted by Sue Ricciardi (<susiericc...>)
More information at hawkcount.org: [Site Profile] [Day Summary] [Month
Summary]

Site Description
Fort Smallwood Park is located on the western shore of Chesapeake
Bay at the
mouth of the Patapsco River, 11 miles south of Baltimore, MD. Best
winds are
from the southwest.

Groups "Maryland & DC Birding" group.
an email to mdbirding+<unsubscribe...>
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mdbirding/<1089720442.1207011.1717928672746...>

Back to top
Date: 6/8/24 9:26 am
From: Dana Best <db3492...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Re: Great egret in wheaton
Forgot the photo!

Dana

> On Jun 8, 2024, at 11:53 AM, Dana Best <db3492...> wrote:
>
> At the storm water pond just south of kemp mill.
>
> Dana Best
> Wheaton, Md

Back to top
Date: 6/7/24 7:56 pm
From: SUE RICCIARDI <susiericc...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Fort Smallwood Park (07 Jun 2024) 2 Raptors
Fort Smallwood Park
Pasadena, Maryland, USA

Daily Raptor Counts: Jun 07, 2024

Species

Day's Count

Month Total

Season Total

Black Vulture

0

4

330

Turkey Vulture

1

16

10562

Osprey

0

4

371

Bald Eagle

0

0

159

Northern Harrier

0

0

65

Sharp-shinned Hawk

0

0

790

Cooper's Hawk

0

0

245

American Goshawk

0

0

0

Red-shouldered Hawk

0

0

325

Broad-winged Hawk

0

1

167

Red-tailed Hawk

0

1

134

Rough-legged Hawk

0

0

0

Golden Eagle

0

0

0

American Kestrel

0

0

233

Merlin

0

0

53

Peregrine Falcon

0

0

2

Unknown Accipiter

0

0

11

Unknown Buteo

0

0

8

Unknown Falcon

0

0

7

Unknown Eagle

0

0

1

Unknown Raptor

0

0

30

Mississippi Kite

1

1

14

Swallow-tailed Kite

0

0

1

Total:

2

27

13508

Observation start time:

9:15 am

Observation end time:

4:00 pm Daylight Time

Total observation time:

6.75 hours

Official Counter

Sue Ricciardi

Observers:

Chris Reed, Cindy Godwin, Hal Wierenga, Lynn Davidson

Weather:
Mostly sunny becoming partly cloudy. 78-86 degrees. Excellent
visibility. Winds westerly and brisk: 10-20 mph gusting to 28 mph

Raptor Observations:
As the count winds down for the season and the raptors are
dwindling in number, we thought the one migrant Turkey Vulture was
it for the day. Lucky for us, at 2:25 pm Daylight Time, our
fourteenth MISSISSIPPI KITE flew in. It was relatively low at
first but then over a span of about 10 minutes it continued to
circle and got higher and higher. It finally went north over the
water after it was almost a speck in the sky. It seemed to be a
first-year individual with a banded tail and molting in the inner
primary-outer secondary wing section.

Non-raptor Observations:
Cattle Egret

Report submitted by Sue Ricciardi (<susiericc...>)
More information at hawkcount.org: [Site Profile] [Day Summary] [Month
Summary]

Site Description
Fort Smallwood Park is located on the western shore of Chesapeake
Bay at the
mouth of the Patapsco River, 11 miles south of Baltimore, MD. Best
winds are
from the southwest.

Groups "Maryland & DC Birding" group.
an email to mdbirding+<unsubscribe...>
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mdbirding/<83031670.413102.1717815368784...>

Back to top
Date: 6/7/24 6:39 am
From: Cass <enbycass...>

On Fri, Jun 7, 2024, 9:14 AM Stella T <stazandgazer...> wrote:

> Good morning,
>
> Does anyone have updates on the peregrine? I just past by the World
> Building in a shuttle bus and couldn't make out what might be there from a
> distance.
>
> Best,
> Stella
> Silver Spring, MD
>

> On Fri, Mar 29, 2024, 11:03 AM Cass <enbycass...> wrote:
>
>> Amazing!
>>
>> I haven't seen them since January 25 and I've been taking walks past
>> their regular haunts a few times a week, but I've noted other people have
>> seen them by Metro and whole foods once or twice in the last two months.
>>
>> Thanks for the update!
>>
>> We should get them into the breeding atlas
>>

>> On Fri, Mar 29, 2024, 10:50 AM Caleigh Larkin <larkinvisions...>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Had to update this thread: spotted the Peregrine pair atop the World
>>> Building radio tower this morning (3/29), and they mated! No photos, but
>>> assuming they're getting their nest ready for this spring.
>>>
>>> Caleigh
>>> Silver Spring

>>> --
>>> Groups "Maryland & DC Birding" group.
>>> an email to mdbirding+<unsubscribe...>
>>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mdbirding/<7e5b8d17-c423-4c8b-9f6f-447926d1b230n...>
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mdbirding/<7e5b8d17-c423-4c8b-9f6f-447926d1b230n...>?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>>> .
>>>
>> --
>> "Maryland & DC Birding" group.
>> email to mdbirding+<unsubscribe...>
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mdbirding/CA%2BTz97EU%3DqX2UkSt14703tr_v6CX%<3DsSBKiUGjZ-eNPzLEe485w...>
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mdbirding/CA%2BTz97EU%3DqX2UkSt14703tr_v6CX%<3DsSBKiUGjZ-eNPzLEe485w...>?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .

Back to top
Date: 6/7/24 6:14 am
From: Stella T <stazandgazer...>
Good morning,

Does anyone have updates on the peregrine? I just past by the World
Building in a shuttle bus and couldn't make out what might be there from a
distance.

Best,
Stella
Silver Spring, MD

On Fri, Mar 29, 2024, 11:03 AM Cass <enbycass...> wrote:

> Amazing!
>
> I haven't seen them since January 25 and I've been taking walks past their
> regular haunts a few times a week, but I've noted other people have seen
> them by Metro and whole foods once or twice in the last two months.
>
> Thanks for the update!
>
> We should get them into the breeding atlas
>

> On Fri, Mar 29, 2024, 10:50 AM Caleigh Larkin <larkinvisions...>
> wrote:
>
>> Had to update this thread: spotted the Peregrine pair atop the World
>> Building radio tower this morning (3/29), and they mated! No photos, but
>> assuming they're getting their nest ready for this spring.
>>
>> Caleigh
>> Silver Spring
>>
>> On Saturday 25 November 2023 at 16:50:55 UTC-5 Cass wrote:
>>
>>> A couple weeks ago, I got a tip that there were falcons in downtown
>>> Silver Spring by the World Building and I was able to confirm a pair on the
>>> radio tower on November 16. There had been other reports by the Ripley
>>> building a little over a week before that and someone else saw one on
>>> November 16 as well, presumably after they flew away from the radio tower.
>>>
>>> Today I relocated one on the same perch of the World Building radio
>>> tower so it seems likely they're staying awhile.
>>>
>>> Years ago, I remember there was a pair that I saw sometimes and heard
>>> they had a nest on the Discovery Building, but in the last few years I've
>>> only seen sporadic sightings in downtown Silver Spring so I figured that
>>> was no longer the case. But here's to hoping they stay!
>>>
>>> No photos today, but here are mine from a week ago:
>>>
>>> https://ebird.org/checklist/S154579841
>>>
>>> Cass
>>> Silver Spring
>>>
>> --
>> "Maryland & DC Birding" group.
>> email to mdbirding+<unsubscribe...>
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mdbirding/<7e5b8d17-c423-4c8b-9f6f-447926d1b230n...>
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mdbirding/<7e5b8d17-c423-4c8b-9f6f-447926d1b230n...>?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .
>>
> --
> "Maryland & DC Birding" group.
> email to mdbirding+<unsubscribe...>
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mdbirding/CA%2BTz97EU%3DqX2UkSt14703tr_v6CX%<3DsSBKiUGjZ-eNPzLEe485w...>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mdbirding/CA%2BTz97EU%3DqX2UkSt14703tr_v6CX%<3DsSBKiUGjZ-eNPzLEe485w...>?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

Back to top
Date: 6/6/24 7:26 pm
From: SUE RICCIARDI <susiericc...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Fort Smallwood Park (06 Jun 2024) 3 Raptors
Fort Smallwood Park Pasadena, Maryland, USA

Daily Raptor Counts: Jun 06, 2024

Species

Day's Count

Month Total

Season Total

Black Vulture

0

4

330

Turkey Vulture

3

15

10561

Osprey

0

4

371

Bald Eagle

0

0

159

Northern Harrier

0

0

65

Sharp-shinned Hawk

0

0

790

Cooper's Hawk

0

0

245

American Goshawk

0

0

0

Red-shouldered Hawk

0

0

325

Broad-winged Hawk

0

1

167

Red-tailed Hawk

0

1

134

Rough-legged Hawk

0

0

0

Golden Eagle

0

0

0

American Kestrel

0

0

233

Merlin

0

0

53

Peregrine Falcon

0

0

2

Unknown Accipiter

0

0

11

Unknown Buteo

0

0

8

Unknown Falcon

0

0

7

Unknown Eagle

0

0

1

Unknown Raptor

0

0

30

Mississippi Kite

0

0

13

Swallow-tailed Kite

0

0

1

Total:

3

25

13506

Observation start time:

9:00 am

Observation end time:

1:45 pm Daylight Time

Total observation time:

4.75 hours

Official Counter

Chris Reed, Sue Ricciardi

Observers:

Chris Reed, Dan Walker

Weather:
Mostly cloudy. 78-85 degrees. Fair to good visibility. Winds from
the southwest 7-10 mph. Rain ended the count.

Raptor Observations:
Finally some southwest winds, but only 3 Turkey Vultures took the
bait.

Non-raptor Observations:
Report submitted by Sue Ricciardi (<susiericc...>)
More information at hawkcount.org: [Site Profile] [Day Summary] [Month
Summary]

Site Description
Fort Smallwood Park is located on the western shore of Chesapeake
Bay at the
mouth of the Patapsco River, 11 miles south of Baltimore, MD. Best
winds are
from the southwest.

Groups "Maryland & DC Birding" group.
an email to mdbirding+<unsubscribe...>
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mdbirding/<59918552.415125.1717727164667...>

Back to top
Date: 6/4/24 2:29 pm
From: Robert McLean <tmclean1090...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Blue Grosebeak fluttering at window

Back to top
Date: 6/4/24 12:01 pm
From: Steve Long <steve.long4...>
A male Blue Grosebeak has been fluttering against various windows of our
house off and on for a few hours, today.  I think he sees his reflection
and thinks he is fighting with another male.

I am hoping he doesn't hurt himself.  He leaves when I approach the
inside of the window, so that is how I have been discouraging him while
I have been home.

I assume he is nesting somewhere nearby.  Any suggestions about where to
look for the nest?

Steve Long, Oxford

Back to top
Date: 6/3/24 8:38 pm
From: SUE RICCIARDI <susiericc...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Fort Smallwood Park (03 Jun 2024) 5 Raptors
Fort Smallwood Park
Pasadena, Maryland, USA

Daily Raptor Counts: Jun 03, 2024

Species

Day's Count

Month Total

Season Total

Black Vulture

0

4

330

Turkey Vulture

3

12

10558

Osprey

2

4

371

Bald Eagle

0

0

159

Northern Harrier

0

0

65

Sharp-shinned Hawk

0

0

790

Cooper's Hawk

0

0

245

American Goshawk

0

0

0

Red-shouldered Hawk

0

0

325

Broad-winged Hawk

0

1

167

Red-tailed Hawk

0

1

134

Rough-legged Hawk

0

0

0

Golden Eagle

0

0

0

American Kestrel

0

0

233

Merlin

0

0

53

Peregrine Falcon

0

0

2

Unknown Accipiter

0

0

11

Unknown Buteo

0

0

8

Unknown Falcon

0

0

7

Unknown Eagle

0

0

1

Unknown Raptor

0

0

30

Mississippi Kite

0

0

13

Swallow-tailed Kite

0

0

1

Total:

5

22

13503

Observation start time:

8:45 am

Observation end time:

3:00 pm Daylight Time

Total observation time:

6.25 hours

Official Counter

Chris Reed, Hal Wierenga, Sue Ricciardi

Observers:

Chris Reed, Cindy Godwin, Hal Wierenga, Sue Ricciardi

Weather:
Variable cloudiness. 75-84 degrees. Excellent visibility. Winds
light, often with a northwesterly component, 5-8 mph.

Raptor Observations:
A few Turkey Vultures and Ospreys

Non-raptor Observations:
Two periodical cicadas

Report submitted by Sue Ricciardi (<susiericc...>)
More information at hawkcount.org: [Site Profile] [Day Summary] [Month
Summary]

Site Description
Fort Smallwood Park is located on the western shore of Chesapeake
Bay at the
mouth of the Patapsco River, 11 miles south of Baltimore, MD. Best
winds are
from the southwest.

Groups "Maryland & DC Birding" group.
an email to mdbirding+<unsubscribe...>
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mdbirding/<904781317.1065972.1717472257544...>

Back to top
Date: 6/3/24 9:11 am
From: Harry Armistead <harryarmistead...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Ferry Neck, May 23-28, 2024.
RIGBY’S FOLLY, MAY 23 - 28 2024. This is “Whimbrel Watch Weekend”. Even though I spend several hours each day scanning and scanning and scanning to the south … no luck finding these big, charismatic shorebirds. They take off late in the day May 23-28 from the marshes at Machipongo, Virginia. Their path takes them within a mile or 2 of here, on their way to the Arctic, 4 or 5 days and nights NONSTOP.

This seems unbelievable, but has been proven from transmitters attached to some of these whimbrel.

About every 5 or 6 Mays I’m lucky enough to visually intercept them. Once c. 595, on May 25, 1990, overhead and in good voice, at dusk, when Liz and I were at the driveway bend. I think that is the highest count ever for Maryland. In Virginia they bulk up on fiddler crabs, increasing their body weight 30-40%, or more, like a marathoner carbohydrate loading.

MAY 23, THURSDAY. arrive 5 P.M. 77 degrees F, calm, fair or mostly overcast. conducted unsuccessful whimbrel watch 6:00 - 7:30. Cope’s gray tree frog 1, green tree frog 1, eastern cottontail 1, 3 bucks in velvet browsing in Field 1, 2 other deer nearby, 1 gray squirrel. is quite dry now. fields to be sprayed as part of CRP tomorrow at 8. great blue heron 1. mockingbird quite vocal though the only recognizable imitation is chuck-will’s-widow. bluebirds attentive to the lawn nest box; perhaps clutch 2 is in the works.

MAY 24, FRIDAY. 6 terrapin. clear or fair, 70s, ESE5. Lix sees a red fox. indigo bunting 2, Cope’s gray tree frog 2, 3 bucks in Field 1, cedar waxwing 2, bald eagle 1, Forster’s tern 1, house finch 1, hummingbird 1. See a sun dog.

MAY 25, SATURDAY. Derek, Anne & Alexis Ayres arrive. American redstart, red-eyed vireo, brown thrasher. Merlin app picks right up with my black-bellied plover imitation, but not my great crested flycatcher or yellow-billed cuckoo imitations. Also picks up, yet again, on the mockingbird’s chuck-will’s-widow imitation.

Medium-sized red fox streaks across the lawn with a half-grown eastern cottontail in its jaws, followed 15 minutes later by a grown fox. Big old terrapin hauls across the back lawn, her business finished, she’s headed back to the brackish life.

low 70s, clear, S 5-10, splendid late spring day.

MAY 26, SUNDAY. another terrapin hauling across the lawn, this one on the way to lay. Alexis sees 2 muskrats. bald eagle 3, wood duck 2, snowy egret. Derek, Alexis, and Anne go canoeing, then swim.

gray catbird, chipping sparrow, a tiger swallowtail. American redstart.

MAY 27, MONDAY, MEMORIAL DAY. mostly overcast, a good rain in late morning, otherwise only occasional sun, SE or SW 10-20, 70s. Anne, Derek & Alexis leave for Philadelphia.

cattle egret 2, bald eagle 2, great blue heron 1, chipping sparrow 1. gray squirrel 1. The Ayres see an opossum at Royal Acres. brown thrasher 1. house finch 2.

MAY 28, TUESDAY. clear, cool, nice NW wind, a cold front of sorts. Liz and I take off for Philadelphia.

Date: 6/2/24 7:34 pm
From: SUE RICCIARDI <susiericc...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Fort Smallwood Park (02 Jun 2024) 13 Raptors
Fort Smallwood Park
Pasadena, Maryland, USA

Daily Raptor Counts: Jun 02, 2024

Species

Day's Count

Month Total

Season Total

Black Vulture

4

4

330

Turkey Vulture

6

9

10555

Osprey

1

2

369

Bald Eagle

0

0

159

Northern Harrier

0

0

65

Sharp-shinned Hawk

0

0

790

Cooper's Hawk

0

0

245

American Goshawk

0

0

0

Red-shouldered Hawk

0

0

325

Broad-winged Hawk

1

1

167

Red-tailed Hawk

1

1

134

Rough-legged Hawk

0

0

0

Golden Eagle

0

0

0

American Kestrel

0

0

233

Merlin

0

0

53

Peregrine Falcon

0

0

2

Unknown Accipiter

0

0

11

Unknown Buteo

0

0

8

Unknown Falcon

0

0

7

Unknown Eagle

0

0

1

Unknown Raptor

0

0

30

Mississippi Kite

0

0

13

Swallow-tailed Kite

0

0

1

Total:

13

17

13498

Observation start time:

9:00 am

Observation end time:

3:00 pm Daylight Time

Total observation time:

6 hours

Official Counter

Sue Ricciardi

Observers:

Chris Reed, Dan Walker, Hal Wierenga, Lynn Davidson

Visitors:
Elizabeth Perry, Christopher Perry, Molly

Weather:
Mostly cloudy. 68-83 degrees. Good visibility. Winds mostly
southwesterly, 3-12 mph

Raptor Observations:
A late migrant Red-tailed Hawk

Non-raptor Observations:
Lots of dragonflies today, but they didn't manage to lure in a
kite.

Report submitted by Sue Ricciardi (<susiericc...>)
More information at hawkcount.org: [Site Profile] [Day Summary] [Month
Summary]

Site Description
Fort Smallwood Park is located on the western shore of Chesapeake
Bay at the
mouth of the Patapsco River, 11 miles south of Baltimore, MD. Best
winds are
from the southwest.

Groups "Maryland & DC Birding" group.
an email to mdbirding+<unsubscribe...>
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mdbirding/<34180174.1003792.1717382016113...>

Back to top
Date: 6/2/24 6:24 pm
From: 'James Tyler Bell' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Common Raven vocalization in St. Mary's County, 6/2/24
I was doing some atlassing today in the grassland that surrounds the old landfill in St. Mary's County. Sadly, the Grasshopper Sparrows, Field Sparrows and Eastern Meadowlarks were all absent this trip. Unclear why as the grass hasn't been mowed since probably last fall?
Anyway, I heard the hoarse croaking of a Common Raven and followed the sound toward the power line cut on the south side of the property. I didn't see an actual bird until I was at the right of way. I had been trying to capture some audio on my phone and happened to see an adult fly out of the edge of the trees and fly west. It didn't return. But, right after it flew out of the trees, I got audio which I was able to trim down to only what I think is begging calls of juveniles. I have zero experience with young birds of this species so I'm hoping someone who is familiar can listen to the audio in my eBird checklist and in/validate my assumption.
BTW, we live nearby and have had CORAs fly over our house/street on several occasions over the years and I've always thought they were nesting somewhere along the power line. The structures are not ideal for a raven nest, though, and despite looking at many of them, I've never seen anything that looked like a nest. Of course, much of the power line is not accessible to the public.
https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/619966545

https://ebird.org/atlasmddc/checklist/S178920394

TIA!
Tyler Bell
<jtylerbell...>
California, Maryland

Back to top
Date: 6/1/24 7:54 pm
From: SUE RICCIARDI <susiericc...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Fort Smallwood Park (01 Jun 2024) 4 Raptors
Fort Smallwood Park
Pasadena, Maryland, USA

Daily Raptor Counts: Jun 01, 2024

Species

Day's Count

Month Total

Season Total

Black Vulture

0

0

326

Turkey Vulture

3

3

10549

Osprey

1

1

368

Bald Eagle

0

0

159

Northern Harrier

0

0

65

Sharp-shinned Hawk

0

0

790

Cooper's Hawk

0

0

245

American Goshawk

0

0

0

Red-shouldered Hawk

0

0

325

Broad-winged Hawk

0

0

166

Red-tailed Hawk

0

0

133

Rough-legged Hawk

0

0

0

Golden Eagle

0

0

0

American Kestrel

0

0

233

Merlin

0

0

53

Peregrine Falcon

0

0

2

Unknown Accipiter

0

0

11

Unknown Buteo

0

0

8

Unknown Falcon

0

0

7

Unknown Eagle

0

0

1

Unknown Raptor

0

0

30

Mississippi Kite

0

0

13

Swallow-tailed Kite

0

0

1

Total:

4

4

13485

Observation start time:

7:45 am

Observation end ti

3:00 pm Daylight Time

Total observation time:

7.25 hours

Official Counter

Chris Reed, Hal Wierenga

Observers:

Dan Walker

Visitors:
Linda Vitchock, Christine and Jim Thompson

Weather:
Sunny becoming partly cloudy. 60-81 degrees. Good visibility.
Winds light and variable.

Raptor Observations:
Three TVs and an Osprey

Non-raptor Observations:
A Red Fox has been a frequent visitor.

Report submitted by Sue Ricciardi (<susiericc...>)
More information at hawkcount.org: [Site Profile] [Day Summary] [Month
Summary]

Site Description
Fort Smallwood Park is located on the western shore of Chesapeake
Bay at the
mouth of the Patapsco River, 11 miles south of Baltimore, MD. Best
winds are
from the southwest.

Groups "Maryland & DC Birding" group.
an email to mdbirding+<unsubscribe...>
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mdbirding/<672297363.249513.1717296859800...>

Back to top
Date: 5/31/24 9:00 pm
From: SUE RICCIARDI <susiericc...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Fort Smallwood Park (31 May 2024) 15 Raptors
Fort Smallwood Park
Pasadena, Maryland, USA

Daily Raptor Counts: May 31, 2024

Species

Day's Count

Month Total

Season Total

Black Vulture

0

59

326

Turkey Vulture

7

693

10546

Osprey

4

60

367

Bald Eagle

4

66

159

Northern Harrier

0

3

65

Sharp-shinned Hawk

0

71

790

Cooper's Hawk

0

9

245

American Goshawk

0

0

0

Red-shouldered Hawk

0

0

325

Broad-winged Hawk

0

35

166

Red-tailed Hawk

0

2

133

Rough-legged Hawk

0

0

0

Golden Eagle

0

0

0

American Kestrel

0

2

233

Merlin

0

6

53

Peregrine Falcon

0

0

2

Unknown Accipiter

0

0

11

Unknown Buteo

0

1

8

Unknown Falcon

0

0

7

Unknown Eagle

0

0

1

Unknown Raptor

0

5

30

Mississippi Kite

0

13

13

Swallow-tailed Kite

0

1

1

Total:

15

1026

13481

Observation start time:

8:30 am

Observation end time:

3:00 pm Daylight Time

Total observation time:

6.5 hours

Official Counter

Chris Reed, Sue Ricciardi

Observers:

Chris Reed, Cindy Godwin, Dan Walker, Hal Wierenga

Weather:
Sunny with a few clouds in the afternoon. 63-74 degrees. Excellent
visibility. Winds from the north at first, then turning
northwesterly, 3-14 mph, gusting to 22 mph.

Raptor Observations:
A few Turkey Vultures, Ospreys and Bald Eagles. One of the Osprey
nests has at least two young.

Non-raptor Observations:
Dun Skipper (butterfly)

Report submitted by Sue Ricciardi (<susiericc...>)
More information at hawkcount.org: [Site Profile] [Day Summary] [Month
Summary]

Site Description
Fort Smallwood Park is located on the western shore of Chesapeake
Bay at the
mouth of the Patapsco River, 11 miles south of Baltimore, MD. Best
winds are
from the southwest.

Groups "Maryland & DC Birding" group.
an email to mdbirding+<unsubscribe...>
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mdbirding/<931407677.1089133.1717214376719...>

Back to top
Date: 5/30/24 8:47 pm
From: SUE RICCIARDI <susiericc...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Fort Smallwood Park (30 May 2024) 10 Raptors
Fort Smallwood Park
Pasadena, Maryland, USA

Daily Raptor Counts: May 30, 2024

Species

Day's Count

Month Total

Season Total

Black Vulture

0

59

326

Turkey Vulture

3

686

10539

Osprey

4

56

363

Bald Eagle

2

62

155

Northern Harrier

0

3

65

Sharp-shinned Hawk

0

71

790

Cooper's Hawk

0

9

245

American Goshawk

0

0

0

Red-shouldered Hawk

0

0

325

Broad-winged Hawk

1

35

166

Red-tailed Hawk

0

2

133

Rough-legged Hawk

0

0

0

Golden Eagle

0

0

0

American Kestrel

0

2

233

Merlin

0

6

53

Peregrine Falcon

0

0

2

Unknown Accipiter

0

0

11

Unknown Buteo

0

1

8

Unknown Falcon

0

0

7

Unknown Eagle

0

0

1

Unknown Raptor

0

5

30

Mississippi Kite

0

13

13

Swallow-tailed Kite

0

1

1

Total:

10

1011

13466

Observation start time:

8:00 am

Observation end time:

2:15 pm Daylight Time

Total observation time:

6.25 hours

Official Counter

Chris Reed, Sue Ricciardi

Observers:

Chris Reed, Cindy Godwin, Cristians Rivas, Dan Walker

Weather:
Sunny becoming partly cloudy. 62-74 degrees. excellent visibility.
Winds northwesterly 6-13 mph, gusting to 23 mph.

Raptor Observations:
Just a few migrants today with the four Ospreys migrating
together.

Report submitted by Sue Ricciardi (<susiericc...>)
More information at hawkcount.org: [Site Profile] [Day Summary] [Month
Summary]

Site Description
Fort Smallwood Park is located on the western shore of Chesapeake
Bay at the
mouth of the Patapsco River, 11 miles south of Baltimore, MD. Best
winds are
from the southwest.

Groups "Maryland & DC Birding" group.
an email to mdbirding+<unsubscribe...>
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mdbirding/<1343538771.1228836.1717127219756...>

Back to top
Date: 5/30/24 4:43 am
From: SUE RICCIARDI <susiericc...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Fort Smallwood Park (29 May 2024) 20 Raptors
Fort Smallwood Park
Pasadena, Maryland, USA

Daily Raptor Counts: May 29, 2024

Species

Day's Count

Month Total

Season Total

Black Vulture

6

59

326

Turkey Vulture

13

683

10536

Osprey

0

52

359

Bald Eagle

1

60

153

Northern Harrier

0

3

65

Sharp-shinned Hawk

0

71

790

Cooper's Hawk

0

9

245

American Goshawk

0

0

0

Red-shouldered Hawk

0

0

325

Broad-winged Hawk

0

34

165

Red-tailed Hawk

0

2

133

Rough-legged Hawk

0

0

0

Golden Eagle

0

0

0

American Kestrel

0

2

233

Merlin

0

6

53

Peregrine Falcon

0

0

2

Unknown Accipiter

0

0

11

Unknown Buteo

0

1

8

Unknown Falcon

0

0

7

Unknown Eagle

0

0

1

Unknown Raptor

0

5

30

Mississippi Kite

0

13

13

Swallow-tailed Kite

0

1

1

Total:

20

1001

13456

Observation start time:

8:15 am

Observation end time:

1:30 pm Daylight Time

Total observation time:

5.25 hours

Official Counter

Chris Reed, Sue Ricciardi

Observers:

Bob Rineer, Chris Reed, Cindy Godwin, Dan Walker, Hal Wierenga

Weather:
Sunny for the first three hours, then clouds building in until
rain began in the last hour. 66-77 degrees. Excellent visibility.
Winds light and variable, sometimes with a westerly component.

Raptor Observations:
One immature Bald Eagle amid some vultures.

Non-raptor Observations:
A Pine Warbler singing fervently all day.

Report submitted by Sue Ricciardi (<susiericc...>)
More information at hawkcount.org: [Site Profile] [Day Summary] [Month
Summary]

Site Description
Fort Smallwood Park is located on the western shore of Chesapeake
Bay at the
mouth of the Patapsco River, 11 miles south of Baltimore, MD. Best
winds are
from the southwest.

Groups "Maryland & DC Birding" group.
an email to mdbirding+<unsubscribe...>
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mdbirding/<1387259938.1187675.1717069371404...>

Back to top
Date: 5/29/24 6:54 am
From: Robert McLean <tmclean1090...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Help with ID: Acadian flycatcher?

Back to top
Date: 5/29/24 6:40 am
From: 'Ted on Little Round Bay' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Help with ID: Acadian flycatcher?
This was 5/28 at 17:30. Crownsville, Maryland deep in a woody path by a
tiny creek with lots of bugs in the area. The guy would hang midway up on
tree branch for about a minute then choose another branch (probably because
I was stalking it). I'll attempt to upload the audio file and 2 terrible
photos. Thanks for any confirmation. New bird for me if so. [image:
2024-05-28 Acadian FC? L1190160.jpg][image: 2024-05-28 Acadian
FC?L1190158.jpg]

Back to top
Date: 5/28/24 9:11 pm
From: SUE RICCIARDI <susiericc...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Fort Smallwood Park (28 May 2024) 27 Raptors
Fort Smallwood Park
Pasadena, Maryland, USA

Daily Raptor Counts: May 28, 2024

Species

Day's Count

Month Total

Season Total

Black Vulture

3

53

320

Turkey Vulture

16

670

10523

Osprey

0

52

359

Bald Eagle

3

59

152

Northern Harrier

0

3

65

Sharp-shinned Hawk

0

71

790

Cooper's Hawk

0

9

245

American Goshawk

0

0

0

Red-shouldered Hawk

0

0

325

Broad-winged Hawk

4

34

165

Red-tailed Hawk

0

2

133

Rough-legged Hawk

0

0

0

Golden Eagle

0

0

0

American Kestrel

0

2

233

Merlin

0

6

53

Peregrine Falcon

0

0

2

Unknown Accipiter

0

0

11

Unknown Buteo

0

1

8

Unknown Falcon

0

0

7

Unknown Eagle

0

0

1

Unknown Raptor

0

5

30

Mississippi Kite

1

13

13

Swallow-tailed Kite

0

1

1

Total:

27

981

13436

Observation start time:

8:15 am

Observation end time:

3:00 pm Daylight Time

Total observation time:

6.75 hours

Official Counter

Chris Reed

Observers:

Cindy Godwin, Hal Wierenga, Mark Nelson, Ralph Geuder

Weather:
Sunny becoming partly cloudy. 69-81 degrees. Good visibility.
Winds mostly from the west. Breezy. 7-15 mph, gusting to 23 mph.

Raptor Observations:
MISSISSIPPI KITE #13, appearing at 11:41 daylight time and in view
for about 2 minutes. Pale secondaries. A distant individual,
flying from south to northwest.

Non-raptor Observations:
Northern Parula Warbler

Report submitted by Sue Ricciardi (<susiericc...>)
More information at hawkcount.org: [Site Profile] [Day Summary] [Month
Summary]

Site Description
Fort Smallwood Park is located on the western shore of Chesapeake
Bay at the
mouth of the Patapsco River, 11 miles south of Baltimore, MD. Best
winds are
from the southwest.

Groups "Maryland & DC Birding" group.
an email to mdbirding+<unsubscribe...>
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mdbirding/<2076695450.150580.1716955862950...>

Back to top
Date: 5/27/24 8:17 pm
From: SUE RICCIARDI <susiericc...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Fort Smallwood Park (27 May 2024) 11 Raptors
Fort Smallwood Park
Pasadena, Maryland, USA

Daily Raptor Counts: May 27, 2024

Species

Day's Count

Month Total

Season Total

Black Vulture

1

50

317

Turkey Vulture

3

654

10507

Osprey

1

52

359

Bald Eagle

3

56

149

Northern Harrier

0

3

65

Sharp-shinned Hawk

0

71

790

Cooper's Hawk

0

9

245

American Goshawk

0

0

0

Red-shouldered Hawk

0

0

325

Broad-winged Hawk

1

30

161

Red-tailed Hawk

0

2

133

Rough-legged Hawk

0

0

0

Golden Eagle

0

0

0

American Kestrel

0

2

233

Merlin

0

6

53

Peregrine Falcon

0

0

2

Unknown Accipiter

0

0

11

Unknown Buteo

0

1

8

Unknown Falcon

0

0

7

Unknown Eagle

0

0

1

Unknown Raptor

0

5

30

Mississippi Kite

2

12

12

Swallow-tailed Kite

0

1

1

Total:

11

954

13409

Observation start time:

8:45 am

Observation end time:

4:00 pm Daylight Time

Total observation time:

7.25 hours

Official Counter

Chris Reed, Cristians Rivas, Sue Ricciardi

Observers:

Chris Reed, Cristians Rivas, Dan Walker, Hal Wierenga, Lynn
Davidson, Sue Ricciardi

Weather:
Generally cloudy with on and off showers and a few brief periods
of sun. 70-74 degrees. Fair to good visibility. Winds southerly
and on the light side, 0-10 mph.

Raptor Observations:
Two MISSISSIPPI KITES together to start the day at 9:10 am
daylight time. They circled and then headed north. At least one
appeared to be a subadult. All the other migrants were seen in the
noon hour when the skies cleared for a short time.

Non-raptor Observations:
Hooded Warbler. As many as 4-7 Little Blue Herons are being seen
every day.

Report submitted by Sue Ricciardi (<susiericc...>)
More information at hawkcount.org: [Site Profile] [Day Summary] [Month
Summary]

Site Description
Fort Smallwood Park is located on the western shore of Chesapeake
Bay at the
mouth of the Patapsco River, 11 miles south of Baltimore, MD. Best
winds are
from the southwest.

Groups "Maryland & DC Birding" group.
an email to mdbirding+<unsubscribe...>
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mdbirding/<1098628628.114171.1716866194699...>

Back to top
Date: 5/27/24 5:23 am
From: SUE RICCIARDI <susiericc...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Fwd: [BIRDHAWK] Fort Smallwood Park (26 May 2024) 39 Raptors
Fort Smallwood Park
Pasadena, Maryland, USA

Daily Raptor Counts: May 26, 2024

Species

Day's Count

Month Total

Season Total

Black Vulture

4

49

316

Turkey Vulture

28

651

10504

Osprey

0

51

358

Bald Eagle

2

53

146

Northern Harrier

0

3

65

Sharp-shinned Hawk

0

71

790

Cooper's Hawk

0

9

245

American Goshawk

0

0

0

Red-shouldered Hawk

0

0

325

Broad-winged Hawk

2

29

160

Red-tailed Hawk

0

2

133

Rough-legged Hawk

0

0

0

Golden Eagle

0

0

0

American Kestrel

0

2

233

Merlin

0

6

53

Peregrine Falcon

0

0

2

Unknown Accipiter

0

0

11

Unknown Buteo

0

1

8

Unknown Falcon

0

0

7

Unknown Eagle

0

0

1

Unknown Raptor

0

5

30

Mississippi Kite

3

10

10

Swallow-tailed Kite

0

1

1

Total:

39

943

13398

Observation start time:

8:30 am

Observation end time:

4:00 pm Daylight Time

Total observation time:

7.5 hours

Official Counter

Chris Reed

Observers:

Andy Smith, Cristians Rivas, Hal Wierenga

Weather:
Partly cloudy. 73-86 degrees. Visibility fair to good with morning
haze. Winds on the light side with an easterly component, 3-9 mph.

Raptor Observations:
Three MISSISSIPPI KITES all together at 9:21 daylight time.
Unaged, they were in view about a minute.

Non-raptor Observations:
Killdeer

Report submitted by Sue Ricciardi (<susiericc...>)
More information at hawkcount.org: [Site Profile] [Day Summary] [Month
Summary]

Site Description
Fort Smallwood Park is located on the western shore of Chesapeake
Bay at the
mouth of the Patapsco River, 11 miles south of Baltimore, MD. Best
winds are
from the southwest.

Groups "Maryland & DC Birding" group.
an email to mdbirding+<unsubscribe...>
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mdbirding/<801468162.807746.1716812602073...>

Back to top
Date: 5/27/24 5:22 am
From: SUE RICCIARDI <susiericc...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Fort Smallwood Park (25 May 2024) 32 Raptors
Fort Smallwood Park
Pasadena, Maryland, USA

Daily Raptor Counts: May 25, 2024

Species

Day's Count

Month Total

Season Total

Black Vulture

1

45

312

Turkey Vulture

24

623

10476

Osprey

2

51

358

Bald Eagle

2

51

144

Northern Harrier

0

3

65

Sharp-shinned Hawk

0

71

790

Cooper's Hawk

0

9

245

American Goshawk

0

0

0

Red-shouldered Hawk

0

0

325

Broad-winged Hawk

1

27

158

Red-tailed Hawk

0

2

133

Rough-legged Hawk

0

0

0

Golden Eagle

0

0

0

American Kestrel

0

2

233

Merlin

1

6

53

Peregrine Falcon

0

0

2

Unknown Accipiter

0

0

11

Unknown Buteo

0

1

8

Unknown Falcon

0

0

7

Unknown Eagle

0

0

1

Unknown Raptor

1

5

30

Mississippi Kite

0

7

7

Swallow-tailed Kite

0

1

1

Total:

32

904

13359

Observation start time:

8:45 am

Observation end time:

4:00 pm Daylight Time

Total observation time:

7.25 hours

Official Counter

Chris Reed

Observers:

Dan Walker, Hal Wierenga

Weather:
Partly cloudy. 72-87 degrees. Fair to good visibility with morning
haze. Winds light and variable the first five hours, then
southerly the last two hours, 7-13 mph.

Raptor Observations:
A late Merlin was nice.

Non-raptor Observations:
A good assortment of butterflies.

Report submitted by Sue Ricciardi (<susiericc...>)
More information at hawkcount.org: [Site Profile] [Day Summary] [Month
Summary]

Site Description
Fort Smallwood Park is located on the western shore of Chesapeake
Bay at the
mouth of the Patapsco River, 11 miles south of Baltimore, MD. Best
winds are
from the southwest.

Groups "Maryland & DC Birding" group.
an email to mdbirding+<unsubscribe...>