rv-birds
Received From Subject
6/19/19 12:58 pm Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...> Re: [RV Birds] Re: Purple Martin victim of attack?
6/19/19 12:52 pm Jeff Tufts <jctufts33...> [RV Birds] Re: Purple Martin victim of attack?
6/18/19 9:04 pm Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...> [RV Birds] Purple Martin victim of attack?
6/15/19 4:49 pm 'rdm' via Rogue Valley Birds <rv-birds...> [RV Birds] Bald Eagle Swiming
6/10/19 8:02 am John B <jabtrout...> [RV Birds] Re: Swainson's Thrush on Shale City Road?
6/9/19 9:52 pm Pepper <pepper.trail...> [RV Birds] Swainson's Thrush on Shale City Road?
6/9/19 8:37 am Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...> [RV Birds] Purple Martin - 1 male on utility wire (photo)
6/8/19 12:30 pm Roxanna Tessman <roxannatessman...> [RV Birds] Re: Eastern Kingbird resighted at 12:50pm
6/8/19 11:25 am Alex Lamoreaux <aslamoreaux...> [RV Birds] Re: Eastern Kingbird resighted at 12:50pm
6/8/19 11:23 am Alex Lamoreaux <aslamoreaux...> [RV Birds] Eastern Kingbird resighted at 12:50pm
6/8/19 10:00 am Jeff Tufts <jctufts33...> [RV Birds] Another Eastern Kingbird....30 years ago
6/8/19 7:10 am Jeff Tufts <jctufts33...> [RV Birds] Re: Eastern Kingbird is 242nd species for this count this year
6/8/19 6:55 am Jeff Tufts <jctufts33...> [RV Birds] Eastern Kingbird is 242nd species for this count this year
6/8/19 5:25 am Alex Lamoreaux <aslamoreaux...> Re: [RV Birds] Re: Eastern Kingbird?!
6/7/19 8:14 pm Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...> [RV Birds] Re: Eastern Kingbird?!
6/7/19 8:09 pm Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...> [RV Birds] Re: Eastern Kingbird?!
6/7/19 2:00 pm Roxanna Tessman <roxannatessman...> [RV Birds] The Mystery Bird at Emigrant
6/7/19 10:27 am Roxanna Tessman <roxannatessman...> [RV Birds] Re: Eastern Kingbird?!
6/7/19 10:22 am Roxanna Tessman <roxannatessman...> [RV Birds] Eastern Kingbird?!
6/5/19 4:04 pm Dennis Niebuhr <rogueden...> Re: [RV Birds] Two Black Terns at the Kirtland Road ponds
6/5/19 3:06 pm Jeff Tufts <jctufts33...> [RV Birds] Ashland Pond brush cutting
6/5/19 12:46 pm Dennis Niebuhr <rogueden...> Re: [RV Birds] Two Black Terns at the Kirtland Road ponds
6/3/19 2:27 pm 'Dick Ashford' via Rogue Valley Birds <rv-birds...> Re: [RV Birds] Neither Mockingbird
6/3/19 1:52 pm Jeff Tufts <jctufts33...> [RV Birds] Out-of-season Horned Lark report
6/3/19 1:29 pm 'Dick Ashford' via Rogue Valley Birds <rv-birds...> [RV Birds] Neither Mockingbird
6/2/19 8:56 pm Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...> [RV Birds] The Martins have landed
6/2/19 8:48 pm Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...> Re: [RV Birds] Are Kingbirds Stubborn?
6/2/19 6:37 am Jeff Tufts <jctufts33...> [RV Birds] Last of expected migrants added to Jackson County list
6/1/19 9:30 pm Lee French <golola77...> Re: [RV Birds] Are Kingbirds Stubborn?
6/1/19 7:27 pm Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...> Re: [RV Birds] Are Kingbirds Stubborn?
6/1/19 4:59 pm Jeff Stone <stonepitts2...> Re: [RV Birds] Are Kingbirds Stubborn?
6/1/19 2:58 pm Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...> Re: [RV Birds] Are Kingbirds Stubborn?
6/1/19 12:37 pm Jeff Stone <stonepitts2...> [RV Birds] Are Kingbirds Stubborn?
6/1/19 7:44 am Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...> [RV Birds] Are Kingbirds Stubborn?
5/29/19 5:05 pm jim hostick <jimhostick...> [RV Birds] Kirtland pond Blue-winged teal, GT grackle and yellow-headed blackbird
5/29/19 6:29 am Jeffrey Tufts <jctufts33...> Re: [RV Birds] Pectoral Sandpiper is #140
5/29/19 6:14 am Jeff Tufts <jctufts33...> [RV Birds] Pectoral Sandpiper is #140
5/28/19 7:43 pm Lee French <golola77...> [RV Birds] Re: Female Mtn Bluebird?
5/28/19 11:32 am Rogue Audubon <rvasarchive...> [RV Birds] Dipper nest along Upper Rogue
5/27/19 3:40 pm Tim A Johnston <talanjten...> [RV Birds] about the Pectoral Sandpiper
5/27/19 3:25 pm Janet Kelly <chamkell...> [RV Birds] Pectoral Sandpiper at Kirtland
5/26/19 2:28 pm frank lospalluto <fdlospalluto...> Re: [RV Birds] Whimbrel
5/26/19 10:20 am Alex Lamoreaux <aslamoreaux...> Re: [RV Birds] Whimbrel
5/26/19 10:15 am 'linda' via Rogue Valley Birds <rv-birds...> [RV Birds] Lost camera lens at Howard Prairie
5/26/19 7:31 am Howard Sands <howard3sands...> [RV Birds] Whimbrel
5/22/19 4:05 pm <dpvroman...> [RV Birds] Jo Co Black Swift
5/21/19 10:46 am frank lospalluto <fdlospalluto...> [RV Birds] Swainson's Thrush night movement
5/21/19 9:38 am Howard Sands <howard3sands...> [RV Birds] Herring Gull
5/20/19 6:23 pm Lee French <golola77...> [RV Birds] Female Mtn Bluebird?
5/20/19 9:26 am Jeff Tufts <jctufts33...> Re: [RV Birds] Black terns at kirtland

Back to top
Date: 6/19/19 12:58 pm
From: Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...>
Subject: Re: [RV Birds] Re: Purple Martin victim of attack?
Jeff,
That's the second good idea... Janet Kelly suggested bathing. I'll try to
find it this evening and see how it looks... I usually see them (just the
male now) 7-8 PM on the wires.
Karl Schneck

"As age comes on, one source of enjoyment after another is closed, but
nature's sources never fail." John Muir

On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 12:52 PM Jeff Tufts <jctufts33...> wrote:

> Karl--
>
> Any chance that the male's dishevled condition could be a result of
> squeezing into a nest cavity and feeding a female (and possibly young) ?
> I've seen nest cam videos that show birds in cavities with really close
> quarters. Might be enough to get the feathers messed up.
>
> On Tuesday, June 18, 2019 at 9:04:31 PM UTC-7, Karl Schneck wrote:
>>
>> I looked up from my van solar project and saw this adult male PUMA on the
>> utility wire only 50' from me. Feathers looked a mess and he was preening
>> for at least 15 minutes... maybe a predator's doing? Other than the messy
>> feathers, he seemed fine.
>> https://ebird.org/pnw/view/checklist/S57502069
>>
> --
> --
> rv-birds+<unsubscribe...>
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rv-birds/<973a9fa0-19e2-4d08-af61-ff0af4cd8a78...>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rv-birds/<973a9fa0-19e2-4d08-af61-ff0af4cd8a78...>?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

Back to top
Date: 6/19/19 12:52 pm
From: Jeff Tufts <jctufts33...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Re: Purple Martin victim of attack?

Date: 6/15/19 4:49 pm
From: 'rdm' via Rogue Valley Birds <rv-birds...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Bald Eagle Swiming
Birds and other animals continue to amaze me. Did you know that Bald Eagles
are swimmers?

Robert

Bald Eagle Caught Elegantly ... Swimming?
<http://click.et.npr.org/?qs=7cdff5f0e802d9643f2fb41471b73e6cfc7245c35722c49c91acda75b2b80a75d4cb7640b367fdacb11b5db3e94f61e620d18cc9547414792956b0aeebd3f748>
<http://click.et.npr.org/?qs=7cdff5f0e802d9643f2fb41471b73e6cfc7245c35722c49c91acda75b2b80a75d4cb7640b367fdacb11b5db3e94f61e620d18cc9547414792956b0aeebd3f748>

A viral video shows another side of the U.S. national bird. As it turns
out, bald eagles frequently swim, moving through the water using an
avian-style butterfly stroke.

Read this story

Date: 6/10/19 8:02 am
From: John B <jabtrout...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Re: Swainson's Thrush on Shale City Road?
I distinctly heard a Swainson's Thrush singing on Friday, May 31. It was at
a much higher elevation and also in thick forest habitat, and I couldn't
make a visual. But the song is unmistakable.

John Bullock

On Sunday, June 9, 2019 at 9:52:48 PM UTC-7, Pepper wrote:

> This evening (Sunday) as I was driving home on Shale City Road just south
> of the Grizzly Peak turnoff, I'm sure I heard a singing Swainson's Thrush
> through my open window. I had another car close behind me, and so couldn't
> stop to investigate. The habitat was quite lush forest for the area, but
> still not what I expect for Swainson's Thrushes. Anyway, I consider this
> unconfirmed, but encourage anyone birding Shale City Road to keep an ear
> out for this bird.
>
> Pepper

Back to top

Date: 6/9/19 8:37 am
From: Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Purple Martin - 1 male on utility wire (photo)
And I thought the Purple Martins were going to skip me on the year RVAS put
up a gourd colony on my property.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/136435824@N03/48030668363/in/dateposted/

Back to top
Date: 6/8/19 12:30 pm
From: Roxanna Tessman <roxannatessman...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Re: Eastern Kingbird resighted at 12:50pm
Yay!! Thanks for the report, Alex. I was really hoping it would hang around
a while for others to see.
Roxanna

On Saturday, June 8, 2019 at 11:23:01 AM UTC-7, Alex Lamoreaux wrote:

> Amanda Alford is reporting the Kingbird again, to the Rogue Valley RBA
> text alert. At Emigrant at 12:54pm.
>

> Alex
> --
> Alex Lamoreaux
> 717-943-7086
> https://wildsidenaturetours.com/team-member/alex-lamoreaux/

Back to top
Date: 6/8/19 11:25 am
From: Alex Lamoreaux <aslamoreaux...>
Or make that 10:54am.... I’m confused on time zones right now. Traveling
from Maine to Oregon. My apologizes. Anyway the Kingbird is still around!

Alex

Date: 6/8/19 10:00 am
From: Jeff Tufts <jctufts33...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Another Eastern Kingbird....30 years ago

Howard Sands came up with this great "news" item from Oregon Birds
magazine. It's from a 1990 issue, but the report is about notable
sightings from the western part of Oregon in 1989.

The photo shows the Eastern Kingbird that Howard found at the Denman WMA on
June 7, 1989--exactly 30 years prior to Roxanna's sighting of yesterday.

Also note the comment about breeding Grasshopper Sparrows in the last
paragraph.

Back to top
Date: 6/8/19 7:10 am
From: Jeff Tufts <jctufts33...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Re: Eastern Kingbird is 242nd species for this count this year
Probably should have included Solitary Sandpiper on the list of likely
future additions to the list. There's been at least one seen in the county
every year since 2009 except 2013.

On Saturday, June 8, 2019 at 6:55:07 AM UTC-7, Jeff Tufts wrote:

> Yet another irregular visitor to Jackson County was added to our 2019 list
> yesterday when Roxanna Tessman spotted (and photographed) an Eastern
> Kingbird at Emigrant Lake. It was the first of its species reported
> locally since May 2, 2011 when one was seen at North Mountain Park in
> Ashland by Bob and Bettina Arrigoni.
>
> As Karl pointed out, there are now four records of this distinctive member
> of the Tyrant Flycatcher family in the eBird database. One of those
> records is a historical submission from Howard Sands who had a flyover
> sighting at his place in Eagle Point in mid-September of 1991. That bird
> was mentioned in the Field Notes column of the October 1991 issue of The
> Chat which also included reports from Agate Lake of a single Ruff and
> approximately 100 Pectoral Sandpipers !!
>
> It should be noted that Ralph Browning's 1975 publication--"...Birds of
> Jackson County..."--described Eastern Kingbird as "an occasional rare
> summer resident in the Hoover's Lakes area." He reports sightings from
> June 25, 1959 (two birds), June 6, 1960, May 27, 1961 and May 30, 1962.
> Also noted was a pair seen near Ashland in June of 1964.
>
> Eastern Kingbird is one of dozens of species that are rated as "rare and
> irregular" in the Birds of Jackson County checklist. Want to to know which
> are the others ? Then pick up a copy of the recently-published fifth
> edition of the checklist at Wild Birds Unlimited in Medford or Northwest
> Nature Shop in Ashland.
> If you can't make it to either of those locations, copies can be purchased
> on-line by visiting the Rogue Valley Audubon Society website and clicking
> on Resources>Birding>Birds of Jackson County.
>
> Inflation ? No !! I bought my first copy in 2009 (3rd edition) for
> $5.00, and ten years later that's still the retail price. It would be a
> bargain at twice that.
>
> Attached updated checklists show all of the 242 species seen thus far this
> year in Jackson County. How does that number stack up against some other
> one-year totals? Not sure there's any way to verify what the Jackson
> County record is for all birders combined, but when Russ Namitz conducted
> his Jackson County "Big Year" in 2016 he logged 250 species. Total species
> reported to eBird by all observers that year was 260.
>
> No way to know which will be the next species to be added to our list, but
> I'm pretty sure that we can at least look forward to reports of Baird's
> Sandpiper, Surf Scoter, Semipalmated Sandpiper, Pacific Loon, Lapland
> Longspur, Brewer's Sparrow and Lawrence's Goldfinch. The latter can be
> expected to show up at Anne Goff's place in Ruch. If she doesn't come up
> at least one of them, she'll banished to the hinterlands of Josephine
> County for one year.
>
> Jeff Tufts
> Medford

Back to top

Date: 6/8/19 5:25 am
From: Alex Lamoreaux <aslamoreaux...>
Subject: Re: [RV Birds] Re: Eastern Kingbird?!
Really cool find! And hopefully the first of more Eastern vagrants in the
region!... spring migration may be slowly, but now is the peak of spring
vagrant songbird season. Never stop birding!

Alex

Date: 6/7/19 8:14 pm
From: Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Re: Eastern Kingbird?!
I almost forgot we have a comedian birder:
I called Barry McKenzie about noon to see if he wanted to chase the
kingbird and he answers the phone with "Eastern Kingbird Bar & Grill" like
he knew what I was calling about :-)

On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 8:09:39 PM UTC-7, Karl Schneck wrote:

> A half-dozen of us tried today with no luck to relocate. Very good bird,
> Roxanna. I checked eBird and it looks like it only 5 people have seen EAKI
> in Jackson County... only 4 if you don't count yard birds (Howard Sands)...
> Jeff Tufts, Bob and Bettina Arrigoni, Howard, and now Roxanna, if I read
> eBird correctly.
>
> On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 10:22:53 AM UTC-7, Roxanna Tessman wrote:
>>
>> At Emigrant Lake this morning (section D-waterslide area) 8am, I saw
>> several species of flycatchers including what sure looks like an Eastern
>> Kingbird (although I've never seen one before). My computer program is
>> jamming up, but will post a pic as soon as I can.
>>
>> Roxanna Tessman
>> Ashland

Back to top
Date: 6/7/19 8:09 pm
From: Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...>
A half-dozen of us tried today with no luck to relocate. Very good bird,
Roxanna. I checked eBird and it looks like it only 5 people have seen EAKI
in Jackson County... only 4 if you don't count yard birds (Howard Sands)...
Jeff Tufts, Bob and Bettina Arrigoni, Howard, and now Roxanna, if I read
eBird correctly.

On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 10:22:53 AM UTC-7, Roxanna Tessman wrote:

> At Emigrant Lake this morning (section D-waterslide area) 8am, I saw
> several species of flycatchers including what sure looks like an Eastern
> Kingbird (although I've never seen one before). My computer program is
> jamming up, but will post a pic as soon as I can.
>
> Roxanna Tessman
> Ashland

Back to top
Date: 6/7/19 2:00 pm
From: Roxanna Tessman <roxannatessman...>
Subject: [RV Birds] The Mystery Bird at Emigrant
What fun to meet all of you at Emigrant Lake this morning. Too bad we
couldn't re-locate the Eastern Kingbird. Attached is a photo of the bird I
was trying to describe that I also saw with the rest of the flycatchers
between 8 and 8:30 this morning. There is a lot of white on that neck. It
looks kind of like an Eastern Phoebe, but that would be crazy for me to see
two rarities in one fell swoop. What do you think it really is? :-)
Happy birding!
Roxanna Tessman
Ashland

Back to top
Date: 6/7/19 10:27 am
From: Roxanna Tessman <roxannatessman...>
Here's the photo:

Back to top

Date: 6/5/19 4:04 pm
From: Dennis Niebuhr <rogueden...>
Subject: Re: [RV Birds] Two Black Terns at the Kirtland Road ponds
Phooey, Old email - ignore - long story.

Denny

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 15, 2019, at 4:27 PM, Dennis Niebuhr <rogueden...> wrote:
>
> Still there at 4:15 PM over north side of the first (south) pond. Denny Niebuhr
>

> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On May 15, 2019, at 3:14 PM, Jeff Tufts <jctufts33...> wrote:
>>
>> Steve Kaiserman reports two Black Terns at the Kirtland Road ponds as of about half an hour ago.
>> --
>> --
>
> --
> --

Back to top
Date: 6/5/19 3:06 pm
From: Jeff Tufts <jctufts33...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Ashland Pond brush cutting
Please note the comment about cutting of understory shrubs and possible
disturbance of nesting birds at Ashland Pond on this eBird checklist

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S57107880

Back to top
Date: 6/5/19 12:46 pm
From: Dennis Niebuhr <rogueden...>
Still there at 4:15 PM over north side of the first (south) pond. Denny Niebuhr

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 15, 2019, at 3:14 PM, Jeff Tufts <jctufts33...> wrote:
>
> Steve Kaiserman reports two Black Terns at the Kirtland Road ponds as of about half an hour ago.
> --
> --

Back to top
Date: 6/3/19 2:27 pm
From: 'Dick Ashford' via Rogue Valley Birds <rv-birds...>
Subject: Re: [RV Birds] Neither Mockingbird
"Neither" = "Northern". But then you knew that...😁Cheers,DickSent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: 'Dick Ashford' via Rogue Valley Birds <rv-birds...> Date: 6/3/19 1:28 PM (GMT-08:00) To: Rogue Valley Birds <rv-birds...> Subject: [RV Birds] Neither Mockingbird Single bird flying across South Pacific Highway at Rising Sun Farms driveway. 1:15 PM today. Cheers,DickSent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone

Back to top
Date: 6/3/19 1:52 pm
From: Jeff Tufts <jctufts33...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Out-of-season Horned Lark report
If you happen to be heading up Dead Indian, there's a report of a Horned
Lark seen near the 180-degree turn over Walker Creek. See map link on
checklist for exact location.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S57031056

Back to top
Date: 6/3/19 1:29 pm
From: 'Dick Ashford' via Rogue Valley Birds <rv-birds...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Neither Mockingbird

Date: 6/2/19 8:56 pm
From: Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...>
Subject: [RV Birds] The Martins have landed
This evening about 7 PM a male and a female Purple Martin landed on the
utility wire about 25 yds. from my house. This is the 4th year I have seen
them here. With a lot of luck, maybe they will choose the gourd colony put
up by RVAS (they must have seen the gourds because they were very close to
them). They were a few weeks later to arrive this year. Photo from eBird
list:
https://ebird.org/pnw/view/checklist/S57020909

Back to top
Date: 6/2/19 8:48 pm
From: Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...>
Subject: Re: [RV Birds] Are Kingbirds Stubborn?
Looks like perseverance paid off... photo from this evening looking even
better than yesterday:

[image: weki6_2_19.jpg]

On Saturday, June 1, 2019 at 9:30:04 PM UTC-7, Lee French wrote:

> Maybe they could use some old cassette tape. Works for their vocalization.
>
> On Saturday, June 1, 2019 at 7:27:39 PM UTC-7, Karl Schneck wrote:
>>
>> I might have spoken too soon. But what a mess of a nest!!! She brought in
>> some nest material and knocked off more of the existing nest than she
>> brought in. The wind blows quite a bit at my house so that is another
>> problem. I have my fingers crossed for them.
>>
>> [image: weki33.jpg]
>>

>> On Saturday, June 1, 2019 at 4:59:39 PM UTC-7, Jeff Stone wrote:
>>>
>>> I had a successful pair at that location three or four years ago, using
>>> sticks as a base rather than string. Could be a younger, inexperienced
>>> pair.

Back to top
Date: 6/2/19 6:37 am
From: Jeff Tufts <jctufts33...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Last of expected migrants added to Jackson County list
The last of the expected migrant species was recorded Friday evening when
Jon Cox heard (and recorded) a Common Nighthawk in the Butte Falls area.

The Nighthawk pushes the 2019 Jackson County list total to 241.

Updates lists are attached.

Back to top
Date: 6/1/19 9:30 pm
From: Lee French <golola77...>
Maybe they could use some old cassette tape. Works for their vocalization.

On Saturday, June 1, 2019 at 7:27:39 PM UTC-7, Karl Schneck wrote:

> I might have spoken too soon. But what a mess of a nest!!! She brought in
> some nest material and knocked off more of the existing nest than she
> brought in. The wind blows quite a bit at my house so that is another
> problem. I have my fingers crossed for them.
>
> [image: weki33.jpg]
>

> On Saturday, June 1, 2019 at 4:59:39 PM UTC-7, Jeff Stone wrote:
>>
>> I had a successful pair at that location three or four years ago, using
>> sticks as a base rather than string. Could be a younger, inexperienced
>> pair.
>>
>> On Saturday, June 1, 2019 at 2:58:14 PM UTC-7, Karl Schneck wrote:
>>>
>>> Jeff, were your kingbirds successful in previous years? I'm thinking
>>> maybe the kingbirds I have this year are kids from 2 yrs. ago and they
>>> aren't "experienced" nest builders... well, actually, it would be all HER
>>> fault since the male only watches.
>>> Karl Schneck
>>>
>>> "As age comes on, one source of enjoyment after another is closed, but
>>> nature's sources never fail." John Muir

Back to top
Date: 6/1/19 7:27 pm
From: Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...>
I might have spoken too soon. But what a mess of a nest!!! She brought in
some nest material and knocked off more of the existing nest than she
brought in. The wind blows quite a bit at my house so that is another
problem. I have my fingers crossed for them.

[image: weki33.jpg]

On Saturday, June 1, 2019 at 4:59:39 PM UTC-7, Jeff Stone wrote:

> I had a successful pair at that location three or four years ago, using
> sticks as a base rather than string. Could be a younger, inexperienced
> pair.
>
> On Saturday, June 1, 2019 at 2:58:14 PM UTC-7, Karl Schneck wrote:
>>
>> Jeff, were your kingbirds successful in previous years? I'm thinking
>> maybe the kingbirds I have this year are kids from 2 yrs. ago and they
>> aren't "experienced" nest builders... well, actually, it would be all HER
>> fault since the male only watches.
>> Karl Schneck
>>
>> "As age comes on, one source of enjoyment after another is closed, but
>> nature's sources never fail." John Muir
>>

>> On Sat, Jun 1, 2019 at 12:37 PM Jeff Stone <stone......> wrote:
>>
>>> The kingbirds on my pole in Yreka are having the exact same problem.
>>> They’re using string but it just falls out.
>>>
>>> --
>>> --
>>> <rv-b......>
>>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rv-birds/<e80dda25-24a6-406b-b5f8-ff27ebeef862...>
>>> .

Back to top
Date: 6/1/19 4:59 pm
From: Jeff Stone <stonepitts2...>
I had a successful pair at that location three or four years ago, using
sticks as a base rather than string. Could be a younger, inexperienced
pair.

On Saturday, June 1, 2019 at 2:58:14 PM UTC-7, Karl Schneck wrote:

> Jeff, were your kingbirds successful in previous years? I'm thinking maybe
> the kingbirds I have this year are kids from 2 yrs. ago and they aren't
> "experienced" nest builders... well, actually, it would be all HER fault
> since the male only watches.
> Karl Schneck
>
> "As age comes on, one source of enjoyment after another is closed, but
> nature's sources never fail." John Muir
>

> On Sat, Jun 1, 2019 at 12:37 PM Jeff Stone <stone......>
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>
>> The kingbirds on my pole in Yreka are having the exact same problem.
>> They’re using string but it just falls out.
>>
>> --
>> --
>> <rv-b......> <javascript:>.
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rv-birds/<e80dda25-24a6-406b-b5f8-ff27ebeef862...>
>> .

Back to top
Date: 6/1/19 2:58 pm
From: Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...>

On Sat, Jun 1, 2019 at 12:37 PM Jeff Stone <stonepitts2...> wrote:

> The kingbirds on my pole in Yreka are having the exact same problem.
> They’re using string but it just falls out.
>
> --
> --
> rv-birds+<unsubscribe...>
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rv-birds/<e80dda25-24a6-406b-b5f8-ff27ebeef862...>
> .

Back to top
Date: 6/1/19 12:37 pm
From: Jeff Stone <stonepitts2...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Are Kingbirds Stubborn?

Date: 6/1/19 7:44 am
From: Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...>
Two years ago, the Western Kingbird nest on the utility pole next to my
house was successful (
https://www.flickr.com/photos/136435824@N03/34696713623/in/photolist-24WVAPp-23MESF3-23zQqzN-261d5zp-WX66ww-V2mpGn-W9T2ny-US2J9p-W6yWLc-VFXDRz-UQp9hn-HBL6Fd-HJSaPF-GLqtES).
Last year the nest either blew off the pole (kingbirds build really sloppy
nests) or a predator got the young. This year, they are back again. Only
this time, they are having a lot of problems just getting the nest built.
For over 2 weeks they have been trying to build a nest in the exact same
location as before. The male guards the site while the female builds the
nest. I don't know what is different this year, but the female is unable to
even get one piece of nesting material to stay on the "platform". But that
doesn't stop them from trying... and trying... for over 2 weeks.

Back to top
Date: 5/29/19 5:05 pm
From: jim hostick <jimhostick...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Kirtland pond Blue-winged teal, GT grackle and yellow-headed blackbird
This morning. Sorry for the late posting, I was away from the house all
day.

Back to top
Date: 5/29/19 6:29 am
From: Jeffrey Tufts <jctufts33...>
Subject: Re: [RV Birds] Pectoral Sandpiper is #140
Whoops. Make that species #240.

On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 6:14 AM Jeff Tufts <jctufts33...> wrote:

> The Pectoral Sandpiper first spotted at the Kirtland Road ponds Monday by
> Tim Johnston is species number 140 for Jackson County this year.
>
> It's not a shock that a Pec would be seen in our area this time of year,
> but they aren't the slam dunk in the spring that they are in the fall. As
> Birds of Oregon: A General Reference succinctly puts it, they are "found
> statewide in migration; largest numbers in fall, sometimes all but absent
> in spring."
>
> Records from the eBird database show that two Pectorals were seen at the
> Kirtland Rd ponds on May 13, 2012, and that was the only sighting of the
> species that spring. Four years later reports from May 11 through May 16
> were mostly of one or two birds although Russ Namitz counted (and
> photographed) 14 of them on May 12. The bird that Tim found Monday is the
> first reported from Kirtland in the spring since those multiple 2016
> sightings.
>
> Although certainly notable, Russ's large number of Pectorals in 2016 was
> not the center of attention, as that was when the Little Stint was holding
> court at Kirtland.
>
> Agate Lake is the only other Jackson county site to have reports of
> Pectoral Sandpipers in the first half of the year. One bird was there May
> 20, 2016, and Dennis Vroman had a very early (March 21) report from Agate
> in 2001.
>
> In the late summer and fall, Agate Lake and the Kirtland Road ponds are
> the most likely places to see Pectorals, but they've also been found at
> Emigrant Lake, Lost Creek Lake, Willow Lake, Howard Prairie Lake, Denman
> WMA (Hall Tract Unit), Wilson's pond and the Ousterhout Farm.
>
> Greatest numbers in the second half of the year include 17 at Kirtland on
> October 9, 2013, and 24 at Agate Lake on September 24, 2013. They've been
> seen as early as July 22 (2014) and as late as October 28 (2013).
>
> Attached photo is of one of the 2012 birds from Kirtland and was taken by
> Bettina Arrigoni.
>
> Updated checklists are also attached.
>

> --
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rv-birds/<b38f024e-d859-42b4-af0a-8c1f6dc51136...>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rv-birds/<b38f024e-d859-42b4-af0a-8c1f6dc51136...>?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

Back to top

Date: 5/28/19 7:43 pm
From: Lee French <golola77...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Re: Female Mtn Bluebird?
"Birdhouses? We don't need no stinkin' birdhouses!"

On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 6:23:45 PM UTC-7, Lee French wrote:

> I put 3 birdhouses at "Stumpy Knoll" on Keno Access Rd hoping to attract
> Mountain Bluebirds. When I checked them last week, 2 had Tree Swallows and
> the other was jammed with sticks, compliments of a House Wren. I cleaned
> the sticks out and today there was lots of activity around the house. The
> Wren was singing, Tree Swallows buzzing the entry and female bluebirds
> (both Mtn and Western) squabbling. Attached is a shot of what I believe to
> be a female Mtn Bluebird. Please let me know if I am incorrect
>
> Lee French

Back to top
Date: 5/28/19 11:32 am
From: Rogue Audubon <rvasarchive...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Dipper nest along Upper Rogue
While watching American Dippers darting up and down the Upper Rogue
yesterday, one landed on a small rock ledge then went into what I thought
was a moss covered rock. I'd never seen a dipper nest so out in the open.

Back to top
Date: 5/27/19 3:40 pm
From: Tim A Johnston <talanjten...>
Subject: [RV Birds] about the Pectoral Sandpiper
It was in the front pond behind the small berm and spent more time in the
vegetation than in the open. I felt lucky to have spotted this rare spring
migrant.

Back to top
Date: 5/27/19 3:25 pm
From: Janet Kelly <chamkell...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Pectoral Sandpiper at Kirtland
Today around 2 at Kirtland Ponds I met Tim who said he saw a Pectoral Sandpiper in the first pond along the north edge of the burm. We tried to relocate it with no luck. I continued to look after he left and finally located it. Not an easy one to find but I did get some photos...thanks Tim!

Janet

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 5/26/19 2:28 pm
From: frank lospalluto <fdlospalluto...>
Subject: Re: [RV Birds] Whimbrel
Still there this afternoon watched it for over 30 minutes. 1420hrs

frank

On Sun, May 26, 2019 at 10:20 Alex Lamoreaux <aslamoreaux...> wrote:

> Still here at 10:20am! Thanks Howard!
>
> Alex
>

> On Sun, May 26, 2019 at 7:31 AM Howard Sands <howard3sands...>
> wrote:
>
>> At Kirtland Ponds as of 7:30 AM.
>>
>> --
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rv-birds/<6c3b95fe-7390-4184-b1af-606339a183c4...>
>> .
>>
> --
> Alex Lamoreaux
> 717-943-7086
> https://wildsidenaturetours.com/team-member/alex-lamoreaux/
>
> --
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rv-birds/<CAFfr91tZ443kEKZP9ebDH2Y4nBptWYGUq_mxVeEr0G-Z6_uurg...>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rv-birds/<CAFfr91tZ443kEKZP9ebDH2Y4nBptWYGUq_mxVeEr0G-Z6_uurg...>?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

Back to top
Date: 5/26/19 10:20 am
From: Alex Lamoreaux <aslamoreaux...>

Date: 5/26/19 10:15 am
From: 'linda' via Rogue Valley Birds <rv-birds...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Lost camera lens at Howard Prairie
Yesterday the people at the Howard Prairie Resort told us someone left a very expensive camera lens outside there last summer.  If they might be yours, contact Jacson County Parks office.  "Jill" has them.Linda Kreisman Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Back to top
Date: 5/26/19 7:31 am
From: Howard Sands <howard3sands...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Whimbrel

Date: 5/22/19 4:05 pm
From: <dpvroman...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Jo Co Black Swift
After 30+ years of looking for one in Josephine, one seen at Whitehorse
Park area this morning with a aerial flock of swallows around the mouth
of the Applegate (where it meets the Rogue). Pretty obvious just in
size alone.

Also, a couple of Purple Martins in the mix.

Dennis (north of Grants

Back to top
Date: 5/21/19 10:46 am
From: frank lospalluto <fdlospalluto...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Swainson's Thrush night movement
Hey all,
Early this morning around 0130 when I was getting home from owl surveys I
was greeted with the sound of Swainson's Thrush migrating overhead. I
didn't stand there for long to do a timed count but it was cool to hear in
the light drizzle.
Here is a link to a clip from xeno canto on what that sounds like:

https://www.xeno-canto.org/330995

good listening,
frank

Back to top
Date: 5/21/19 9:38 am
From: Howard Sands <howard3sands...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Herring Gull
There is an adult Herring Gull at the Kirtland Ponds as of 9:20 AM. It is on a mud spit in middle of first
pond with California and Ring-billed Gulls. 4 Red-necked Phalaropes were also enjoying the rain.

Back to top

Date: 5/20/19 9:26 am
From: Jeff Tufts <jctufts33...>
Subject: Re: [RV Birds] Black terns at kirtland
Tanner--

No way to know for sure if these are the same two Black Terns that Steve
Kaiserman first found.

It's definitely a possibility they've been around the other properties that
you mention, although if they found Kirtland to originally be devoid of
prey you'd think they wouldn't return. But who knows.