rv-birds
Received From Subject
12/15/17 9:32 am Harry Fuller <atowhee...> Re: [RV Birds] Which hand takes the pot: pair of Great Gray Owls or pair of Turkey Vultures?
12/14/17 8:27 pm Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...> [RV Birds] Which hand takes the pot: pair of Great Gray Owls or pair of Turkey Vultures?
12/14/17 10:33 am <gavphoto...> [RV Birds] western tanager in talent
12/14/17 8:10 am John Casad <jsc1944...> [RV Birds] crane fly by ?
12/10/17 9:10 pm Harry Fuller <atowhee...> [RV Birds] Ashland: blond or leucistic Acorn Woodpecker
12/10/17 5:17 pm Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...> [RV Birds] Northern Shrike at Agate Lake
12/10/17 11:03 am Slade Machamer <slademachamer...> Re: [RV Birds] Fwd: Barred Owl in the neighborhood
12/10/17 10:32 am Janet Kelly <chamkell...> Re: [RV Birds] Fwd: Barred Owl in the neighborhood
12/10/17 9:34 am 'Shannonrio' via Rogue Valley Birds <rv-birds...> [RV Birds] Fwd: Barred Owl in the neighborhood
12/7/17 5:06 pm Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...> [RV Birds] Re: Prairie Falcons
12/7/17 12:23 pm Lee French <golola77...> [RV Birds] Prairie Falcons
12/6/17 5:15 pm Lee French <golola77...> [RV Birds] Rough-legged hawk
11/29/17 12:59 pm Nancy Spear <nancyspear2015...> [RV Birds] Re: Hermit verses Swainson's Thrush
11/28/17 7:27 am Cecile Shohet <cshohet...> [RV Birds] Highlights from Monday's Medford Raptor Run
11/27/17 3:59 pm Roxanna Tessman <roxannatessman...> [RV Birds] Re: Red-breasted Merganser
11/25/17 10:23 am frank lospalluto <fdlospalluto...> Re: [RV Birds] Hermit verses Swainson's Thrush
11/25/17 9:27 am Dennis Vroman <dpvroman...> [RV Birds] Hermit verses Swainson's Thrush
11/24/17 11:27 pm Nancy Spear <nancyspear2015...> Re: [RV Birds] Swainson's Thrush
11/24/17 8:44 pm frank lospalluto <fdlospalluto...> Re: [RV Birds] Swainson's Thrush
11/24/17 7:52 pm Nancy Spear <nancyspear2015...> Re: [RV Birds] Swainson's Thrush
11/24/17 5:09 pm Romain Cooper <romain...> [RV Birds] Illinois Valley Josesphine Co. phoebe, merlin
11/24/17 3:05 pm Roxanna Tessman <roxannatessman...> [RV Birds] Red-breasted Merganser
11/24/17 1:11 pm Janet Kelly <chamkell...> Re: [RV Birds] Swainson's Thrush
11/24/17 12:55 pm <nancyspear2015...> [RV Birds] Swainson's Thrush
11/20/17 3:34 pm Dick Ashford <dicka...> [RV Birds] Ferruginous Hawks
11/20/17 2:45 pm rdm <wsjaybird...> [RV Birds] Re: European House Sparrows?
11/20/17 9:20 am Tom Pratum <tkp9551...> Re: [RV Birds] European House Sparrows?
11/19/17 11:16 pm Carol Brockfield <carol.bfield...> Re: [RV Birds] European House Sparrows?
11/19/17 8:37 pm <gavphoto...> [RV Birds] European House Sparrows?
11/19/17 8:34 pm <gavphoto...> [RV Birds] many species in Talent
11/19/17 5:23 pm Harry Fuller <atowhee...> [RV Birds] Yellwstone's famous wolf, and a bit about Oregon's own canine celebrity
11/19/17 12:40 pm Romain Cooper <romain...> [RV Birds] josephine co Illinois valley phoebe & goose
11/17/17 2:22 pm David Hewitt <dhewitt37...> [RV Birds] Winter Wings Festival in the Klamath Basin, Feb 15-18, 2018 -- Schedule Posted

Back to top
Date: 12/15/17 9:32 am
From: Harry Fuller <atowhee...>
Subject: Re: [RV Birds] Which hand takes the pot: pair of Great Gray Owls or pair of Turkey Vultures?
expect TVs to become more regular with climate change...each winter now
there are a handful that winter here in the Willamette Valley, and last
year I had Barn Swallows on the Salem CBC...I also expect some Osprey will
winter in interior Oregon within the coming decades...after all, forty
years ago none of the Anna's Hummingbirds or Black Phoebe were know to
winter this far north

On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 8:27 PM, Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...>
wrote:

> We found 2 Great Gray Owls in the Howard Prairie area today (I know they
> have been classified as "Sensitive", so hopefully this is a general enough
> location not to offend anyone). Then as we drove down DIM Rd. as it was
> getting dark, we saw 2 Turkey Vultures roosting in a tree next to the road.
> Maybe it was from the excitement of finding 2 Great Grays that we
> overlooked the significance of the Turkey Vultures, who should be in
> Redding or even further south at this time of year. I'm going with the GGOW
> pair to take the hand because they make your jaw drop every time you find
> one... but the TV's are a nice losing hand.
>
> --
> --

Harry Fuller
author of *Great Gray Owls of CA-OR-WA*, see:
https://ecowise.wordpress.com/2015/05/08/the-great-gray-owl-book/
author of *Freeway Birding*, see: *freewaybirding.com
<http://freewaybirding.com>*
birding website: http://www.towhee.net
my birding blog: atowhee.wordpress.com

Back to top

Date: 12/14/17 10:33 am
From: <gavphoto...>
Subject: [RV Birds] western tanager in talent
Photographed a Western Tanager eating apples in Talent this morning. Rare
sighting for me in Winter.
Greg

Back to top
Date: 12/14/17 8:10 am
From: John Casad <jsc1944...>
Subject: [RV Birds] crane fly by ?
at 755 am thursday i saw a crane fly by my home east of talent. the crane
was flying low and heading south toward ashland. i could not see any
marking but think it was a sandhill crane. this is based on size, long
extended neck and wing beat.

Back to top
Date: 12/10/17 9:10 pm
From: Harry Fuller <atowhee...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Ashland: blond or leucistic Acorn Woodpecker
atowhee.wordpress.com/2017/12/10/blond-acorn-woodpecker/

Date: 12/10/17 5:17 pm
From: Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Northern Shrike at Agate Lake
Lee French and I re-found the Northern Shrike at Agate Lake this
afternoon... figured it was a long shot but spotted it about a half mile
away perched at the top of a tree. We drove to get closer but it wasn't
there any longer. We started to head home and spotted it in a new spot
where we could get closer for a picture Life bird for both of us so we
headed back while we were still winners. Picture
at https://www.flickr.com/photos/136435824@N03/38256298324/in/dateposted/

Back to top
Date: 12/10/17 11:03 am
From: Slade Machamer <slademachamer...>
Subject: Re: [RV Birds] Fwd: Barred Owl in the neighborhood
Beautiful pics.
Yes, I've heard the Glenwood Park Barred Owl calling a few times in the
early mornings. Have yet to see it this season.

Slade

On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 10:32 AM, Janet Kelly <chamkell...> wrote:

> This last Feb a friend who lives on Palm Ave in Ashland had a Barred Owl
> in her back yard. I got some good pics of that one and the year before that
> there was one spotted in Glenwood Park.
>
> Janet Kelly
>
> On Dec 10, 2017, at 9:34 AM, 'Shannonrio' via Rogue Valley Birds <
> <rv-birds...> wrote:
>
> yesterday in ashland i heard the jays squawking and knew an owl was
> somewhere about. when i first saw the back of this owl, i was confused
> because it was so big, like a great horned, but had a longish tall.
> finally it turned its head around. i had just taken vince's owl class at
> north mountain park and had seen his pictures of the barred owl. because i
> have seen one so seldom, it was not the first thought. anyway, husband
> kirk took pictures and sent them to vince yesterday. i thought the rogue
> valley list serve would like to know about it too. we live on iowa near
> fairview and the owl is not there today. shannon rio

Back to top
Date: 12/10/17 10:32 am
From: Janet Kelly <chamkell...>

Date: 12/10/17 9:34 am
From: 'Shannonrio' via Rogue Valley Birds <rv-birds...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Fwd: Barred Owl in the neighborhood

Date: 12/7/17 5:06 pm
From: Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Re: Prairie Falcons
I saw 2 just north of there a few weeks ago.

On Thursday, December 7, 2017 at 12:23:26 PM UTC-8, Lee French wrote:

> 2 were circling about near Staples and West Valley View Road today in
> Ashland.

Back to top
Date: 12/7/17 12:23 pm
From: Lee French <golola77...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Prairie Falcons

Date: 12/6/17 5:15 pm
From: Lee French <golola77...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Rough-legged hawk
Hovering and hunting, this handsome bird was a joy to watch where Dead
Indian Memorial and Hyatt-Prairie Roads meet. Attached is a through the
windshield, point and shoot, shot for documentary purposes only. Too bad
legendary photographer Karl Schneck didn't join me today.

Lee French

Back to top
Date: 11/29/17 12:59 pm
From: Nancy Spear <nancyspear2015...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Re: Hermit verses Swainson's Thrush
Thank you Dennis, very helpful. There was no wing-flipping in the bird I
saw. Unfortunately I haven't seen it again. I think frank asked about
eye-ring -- it was there but not distinctive. Buffy-colored and not
standing out.
Thanks to all for your input.

Nancy

On Saturday, November 25, 2017 at 9:27:27 AM UTC-8, Dennis Vroman wrote:

> There's a behavior difference between these two species that can be used
> to help with IDing one from the other.
>
> Hermit Thrush have the nervous habit of flipping their wing while
> standing. Swainson's Thrush very seldom do any wing flipping. While fall
> migrant banding along the Applegate River near Provolt, a Swainson's Thrush
> was captured and banded on 6 Nov 2001. With the bird in hand, there was
> little doubt who it was.
>
> Dennis

Back to top
Date: 11/28/17 7:27 am
From: Cecile Shohet <cshohet...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Highlights from Monday's Medford Raptor Run
The 2017-2018 Medford Raptor Run Season began on Monday, November 27th with
rain and clouds across the sky, slowly giving way to scattering clouds and
sun, by mid-morning. Thankfully, fog was not an issue - so our visibility
was fine for locating raptors both perched and flying into the distance.

In our 6.5 hour, 101 mile journey, we observed 125 individuals across eight
species:
Red-tailed hawk - 82
Kestrel - 25
Northern Harrier - 6
Bald Eagle - 6
Prairie Falcon - 2
Merlin - 2
Peregrine Falcon - 1
Red-shouldered hawk - 1

Some highlights:

Campbell Road, once again, an early adrenaline shot along the route with a
wet, yet always majestic peregrine perched on one of the three tall metal
towers, and a Northern Harrier gliding low across the grasses and forbs.

Five bald eagles were seen on the far (west) side of Agate Lake from Dry
Creek Road - two adults and three sub-adults, in a tight grouping, just a
few feet from the water's edge.

One Red-shouldered hawk perched on a wire along Ball Road.

Good Birding!

*Cecile Shohet*

Back to top
Date: 11/27/17 3:59 pm
From: Roxanna Tessman <roxannatessman...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Re: Red-breasted Merganser
Can we delete this post? Apparently it was a Common Merganser. Thanks!
Roxanna

On Friday, November 24, 2017 at 3:05:25 PM UTC-8, Roxanna Tessman wrote:

> Around 1:30 this afternoon we saw a lone Red-breasted Merganser at the
> edge of Emigrant Lake near the Rowing Club boat ramp.
>
> Happy birding!!
> Roxanna @ Bird Watching in Oregon
> https://www.facebook.com/Bird-Watching-in-Oregon-451501368243595/

Back to top
Date: 11/25/17 10:23 am
From: frank lospalluto <fdlospalluto...>
Subject: Re: [RV Birds] Hermit verses Swainson's Thrush
Just so folks are clear Swainson’s Thrush in November are late migrants. We
do have breeding Swainson’s Thrush in our area and we get migrants moving
through in spring and fall. Peter Thiemann had a November Swainson’s Thrush
in the Applegate where he lives November 13, 2013.

frank

On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 9:27 AM Dennis Vroman <dpvroman...> wrote:

> There's a behavior difference between these two species that can be used
> to help with IDing one from the other.
>
> Hermit Thrush have the nervous habit of flipping their wing while
> standing. Swainson's Thrush very seldom do any wing flipping. While fall
> migrant banding along the Applegate River near Provolt, a Swainson's Thrush
> was captured and banded on 6 Nov 2001. With the bird in hand, there was
> little doubt who it was.
>
> Dennis
>
> --
> --

Back to top

Date: 11/24/17 11:27 pm
From: Nancy Spear <nancyspear2015...>
Subject: Re: [RV Birds] Swainson's Thrush
Yes Frank, I will try to take a pic next time I see it, will look tomorrow.
It moves around so quickly! I would be happy for another person to come
and check it
out since it's so unusual, if anyone might wish to. I will post the pic or
sighting immediately.

I moved up here recently from southern California where I did a lot of
serious birding years ago. Slowed down a lot now but still love birds;
I've been on a few walks but don't know folks here very well yet.

Thanks,
Nancy
626-437-8913

On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 8:44 PM, frank lospalluto <fdlospalluto...>
wrote:

> Nancy and all,
> There is a record of Swainson's Thrush in Jackson County from 2010 late
> November.
> Nancy it would be great if you have the ability to take a photograph of
> the bird. It would be a nice record for the county that we could all
> confirm. Your description fits for the interior race of Swainson's Thrush.
> One question I would have does it show the 'bold spectacles" look?
> Great find and thank you very much for sharing!
>
> good birding ,
> frank
>

> On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 7:51 PM, Nancy Spear <nancyspear2015...>
> wrote:
>
>> Resending to group:
>> The bird is consistently dull olive brown all over and shows none of the
>> rusty coloring of Hermit Thrush in tail and wing feathers.
>> Also seems longer and thinner in body shape. I've seen both before.
>>
>> Thanks for asking,
>> Nancy
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 1:11 PM, Janet Kelly <chamkell...> wrote:
>>
>>> Is it possible it could be a Hermit Thrush? They winter here.
>>>
>>> Janet Kelly
>>>
>>> On Nov 24, 2017, at 12:55 PM, "<nancyspear2015...>" <
>>> <nancyspear2015...> wrote:
>>>
>>> There is a Swainson's Thrush staying around my yard in Jacksonville for
>>> at least the past week. Not sure how many stay through the winter here.
>>>
>>> Nancy Spear
>>>
>>> --
>>> --
>>>

>> --
>> --

Back to top
Date: 11/24/17 8:44 pm
From: frank lospalluto <fdlospalluto...>

wrote:

> Resending to group:
> The bird is consistently dull olive brown all over and shows none of the
> rusty coloring of Hermit Thrush in tail and wing feathers.
> Also seems longer and thinner in body shape. I've seen both before.
>
> Thanks for asking,
> Nancy
>
> On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 1:11 PM, Janet Kelly <chamkell...> wrote:
>
>> Is it possible it could be a Hermit Thrush? They winter here.
>>
>> Janet Kelly
>>
>> On Nov 24, 2017, at 12:55 PM, "<nancyspear2015...>" <
>> <nancyspear2015...> wrote:
>>
>> There is a Swainson's Thrush staying around my yard in Jacksonville for
>> at least the past week. Not sure how many stay through the winter here.
>>
>> Nancy Spear
>>
>> --
>> --
>>

> --
> --

Back to top
Date: 11/24/17 7:52 pm
From: Nancy Spear <nancyspear2015...>
Resending to group:
The bird is consistently dull olive brown all over and shows none of the
rusty coloring of Hermit Thrush in tail and wing feathers.
Also seems longer and thinner in body shape. I've seen both before.

Thanks for asking,
Nancy

On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 1:11 PM, Janet Kelly <chamkell...> wrote:

> Is it possible it could be a Hermit Thrush? They winter here.
>
> Janet Kelly
>
> On Nov 24, 2017, at 12:55 PM, "<nancyspear2015...>" <
> <nancyspear2015...> wrote:
>
> There is a Swainson's Thrush staying around my yard in Jacksonville for at
> least the past week. Not sure how many stay through the winter here.
>
> Nancy Spear
>
> --
> --

Back to top
Date: 11/24/17 5:09 pm
From: Romain Cooper <romain...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Illinois Valley Josesphine Co. phoebe, merlin
on 11/22/2017 (late report) , Illinois Valley, Josephine County,
Martin Rd. (off Rockydale Rd.).

(1) Say's Phoebe (saw one there on 18th so probably same bird) and
(1) Merlin along with a few other expected birds.

No geese were in the fields and this is unusual for this time of year.

Best,

Romain Cooper
10398 Takilma Road
Cave Junction, OR 97523
541-592-2311

Back to top

Date: 11/20/17 3:34 pm
From: Dick Ashford <dicka...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Ferruginous Hawks
Sorry for the late post (email issues). On Saturday, Nov 18, Anne Goff and I
saw 36 (!) Ferruginous Hawks. A high number, IMHO, and the total includes 2
dark morphs. Most of the sightings were in Butte Valley, and we also saw
several birds on Township Road. We did not cover all of my "usual" route, so
maybe there were even more.

We also saw 5 Golden Eagles, 2 of which were doing an extended pas de deux
on Lower Klamath Lake Road.

We didn't see many Bald Eagles, but did see good numbers of Red-tailed Hawks
and Northern Harriers, along with small numbers of Rough-legged Hawks.

A lone Merlin in Keno started our day, and we finished with 2 Great Grey
Owls in a foggy meadow not far from Howard Prairie. Very nice!

Cheers

Dick

Back to top
Date: 11/20/17 2:45 pm
From: rdm <wsjaybird...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Re: European House Sparrows?
There are more in my yard in East Phoenix. They use our bird houses, but i
have closed them up after the first batch of chicks each year. I counted a
dozen in the yard this summer but with the start of Feeder Watch the count
is down to five or six so far.
Nationally, I haves heard that an increase in hawks has led to a decline in
House Sparrows.

Robert

On Sunday, November 19, 2017 at 8:37:31 PM UTC-8, <gavp......> wrote:

> So has anyone noticed a decline of these House Sparrows? Only seen a
> nesting pair last year. Used to have dozens around my feeders year round,
> Have not seen any in months. I do have a resident nesting Scrub Jay.
>
> Greg in talent

Back to top
Date: 11/20/17 9:20 am
From: Tom Pratum <tkp9551...>
Subject: Re: [RV Birds] European House Sparrows?
Declines in House Sparrows have been noted in other areas, particularly in Western Washington where we used to live. I don’t know of any theories as to the cause…..

Tom Pratum

> On Nov 19, 2017, at 11:16 PM, Carol Brockfield <carol.bfield...> wrote:
>
> Yes. I've seen small flocks of them in the past. This year not one so far.
>
> On Sun, Nov 19, 2017 at 8:37 PM, <gavphoto...> <mailto:<gavphoto...>> wrote:
> So has anyone noticed a decline of these House Sparrows? Only seen a nesting pair last year. Used to have dozens around my feeders year round, Have not seen any in months. I do have a resident nesting Scrub Jay.
>
> Greg in talent
>
> --
> --
>

> --
> http://leafsedge.wordpress.com <http://leafsedge.wordpress.com/>
>
> --
> --

Back to top
Date: 11/19/17 11:16 pm
From: Carol Brockfield <carol.bfield...>

Date: 11/19/17 8:34 pm
From: <gavphoto...>
Subject: [RV Birds] many species in Talent
Many species dropped in to feed and bathe Today. Cold and Foggy.

Fox Sparrow
Spotted Towhees
Purple Finches
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Stellar Jay
Scrub Jay
Robins
Anna's Hummingbird male/female
Red-shafted Flicker male/female
Eurasian collard Doves
Chestnut-backed Chickadees
Black-capped Chickadees
Hermit Thrush
Oregon Juncos (many)
White-breasted Nuthatch
Yellow-crowned Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
Lesser Goldfinches
Pine Siskins
Cedar Waxwings

Greg in Talent

Back to top
Date: 11/19/17 5:23 pm
From: Harry Fuller <atowhee...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Yellwstone's famous wolf, and a bit about Oregon's own canine celebrity
atowhee.wordpress.com/2017/11/19/yellowstones-famous-she-wolf/

Date: 11/19/17 12:40 pm
From: Romain Cooper <romain...>
Subject: [RV Birds] josephine co Illinois valley phoebe & goose
Yesterday (7/18/2017) about 2pm, on Martin Road (off Rockydale Rd.)
in the Ag fields, (1) Say's Phoebe foraging on west side of road. On
the field on east side of road, a distant flock (about 30 birds) of
Canada Geese had a white goose but (didn't have scope handy) couldn't
differentiate re: which species.

Also FOS coho salmon in "our" river, (upper East Fork Illinois) same day.

cheers,

Romain Cooper
10398 Takilma Road
Cave Junction, OR 97523
541-592-2311

Back to top
Date: 11/17/17 2:22 pm
From: David Hewitt <dhewitt37...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Winter Wings Festival in the Klamath Basin, Feb 15-18, 2018 -- Schedule Posted
The annual Winter Wings Festival in Klamath Falls, Oregon will take place
February 15-18 in 2018.

http://winterwingsfest.org/

Of particular interest for birders, we'll have keynote participation by
woodpecker expert Steve Shunk and Cornell Lab of Ornithology expert Kevin
McGowan. The festival will also feature Nikon Ambassador and wildlife
photographer Moose Peterson. The Klamath Basin is renowned for its massive
wintering population of Bald Eagles, but is prime habitat for many other
raptors including owls, as well as a stunning abundance and diversity of
waterfowl. Join us for an array of field trips, workshops, presentations,
and receptions that highlight the wonders of the Klamath Basin in winter.

We hope to see you in February! The schedule of activities is posted on the
web site and online registration will go live on Saturday, Dec. 16th at 9
AM. Field trips sell out quickly, so plan ahead.

Dave Hewitt, Klamath Falls