rv-birds
Received From Subject
8/23/17 5:51 am Jeff Tufts <jctufts33...> [RV Birds] Not Jackson County, but....
8/22/17 2:57 pm Cody W. Smith <kingsalmon92...> [RV Birds] Refound Black-chinned Hummingbird
8/21/17 3:28 pm Harry Fuller <atowhee...> [RV Birds] ECLIPSED
8/20/17 1:51 pm Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...> [RV Birds] Quick three beers
8/20/17 11:44 am Evan Barrientos <barrientosevan...> [RV Birds] Jacksonville Woodlands Birds
8/13/17 3:38 pm Tiffany Manger <77trinket...> [RV Birds] SOLITARY SANDPIPER still at Wilson's Pond
8/13/17 9:39 am Janet Kelly <chamkell...> [RV Birds] Sandpiper ID
8/12/17 7:17 pm Janet Kelly <chamkell...> [RV Birds] Need Sandpiper ID help
8/12/17 12:06 pm Janet Kelly <chamkell...> Re: [RV Birds] Re: feeder observations
8/12/17 12:00 pm rdm <wsjaybird...> [RV Birds] Re: feeder observations
8/12/17 11:46 am Charter <annegoffar...> Re: [RV Birds] feeder observations
8/12/17 7:04 am Barbara Massey <bmassey...> [RV Birds] feeder observations
8/11/17 6:50 am Janet Kelly <chamkell...> [RV Birds] Re: Emigrant Baird's Sandpiper
8/10/17 11:01 am frank lospalluto <fdlospalluto...> [RV Birds] Emigrant Baird's Sandpiper
8/9/17 11:58 am Ellie Armstrong <eea...> [RV Birds] Citizen Science Opportunity for Fall Migration
8/7/17 6:48 am Jeff Tufts <jctufts33...> [RV Birds] Birds and the Aug.21 Solar Eclipse
8/6/17 9:56 pm Cody W. Smith <kingsalmon92...> [RV Birds] Two different Say's Phoebes this weekend?
8/4/17 3:01 pm Tiffany Manger <77trinket...> Re: [RV Birds] Lost Creek Gulls
8/3/17 4:11 pm Norm Barrett <ndbarrett...> [RV Birds] Lost Creek Gulls
8/2/17 8:48 pm Tiffany Manger <77trinket...> [RV Birds] Franklin's Gull @ Lost Creek?
8/2/17 10:02 am Ken Chamberlain <kjchamberlain...> [RV Birds] Oregon Birding Association - Annual Mtg. Malheur Field Station
8/1/17 5:21 pm Bob Hunter <bobhunter...> Re: [RV Birds] Franklin's Gull Lost Creek
8/1/17 8:15 am Norm Barrett <ndbarrett...> [RV Birds] Franklin's Gull Lost Creek
7/30/17 6:11 pm Harry Fuller <atowhee...> [RV Birds] Tule Lake Gallery
7/29/17 12:02 pm Harry Fuller <atowhee...> [RV Birds] eagles adopt buteo chick in the wild
7/28/17 8:23 pm Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...> [RV Birds] Re: Birds on the wire - 2 pics
7/28/17 8:14 pm Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...> [RV Birds] Birds on the wire - 2 pics
7/28/17 5:06 pm Harry Fuller <atowhee...> [RV Birds] low point in high summer: Blue-green algae in Klamath Lake
7/28/17 5:04 am Janet Kelly <chamkell...> [RV Birds] Swifts
7/24/17 5:48 pm Harry Fuller <atowhee...> [RV Birds] Not avian--rainbow trout in little Humbug Creek

Back to top
Date: 8/23/17 5:51 am
From: Jeff Tufts <jctufts33...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Not Jackson County, but....
Just had to share this photo that's in the latest edition of one of my
favorite publications--High Country News.

Info on the source of the photo is here:

https://potd.pdnonline.com/2017/05/46519/enigma-of-the-owl-glapas-8074-jaripeltomaki-edit/

Back to top
Date: 8/22/17 2:57 pm
From: Cody W. Smith <kingsalmon92...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Refound Black-chinned Hummingbird
It looks like somebody may have relocated my Black-chinned Hummingbird from May 28th. However, they left no details about the observation (http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38713463). The listed location is maybe 1/4 mile from my Medford house. Does anyone know her? I'd love more details on this..

Cody Smith
Only in Medford one more week

Back to top
Date: 8/21/17 3:28 pm
From: Harry Fuller <atowhee...>
Subject: [RV Birds] ECLIPSED
https://atowhee.wordpress.com/2017/08/21/eclipsed/

--
Harry Fuller
author of *Great Gray Owls of CA-OR-WA*, see:

Back to top
Date: 8/20/17 1:51 pm
From: Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Quick three beers
One of my favorites (I know, I have too many favorites) is the Olive-sided
Flycatcher. I was taught the "Quick three beers" call over 50 yrs ago and
it's got to be one of the best phonetic text descriptions out there.
Anyway, spotted 2 OSFL today and enjoyed them, even if they were only doing
their repeated "pip" call. Pictures on eBird list:
http://ebird.org/ebird/pnw/view/checklist/S38736624

Back to top
Date: 8/20/17 11:44 am
From: Evan Barrientos <barrientosevan...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Jacksonville Woodlands Birds
There was decent bird activity on the Jacksonville Woodlands trails. I
mostly walked oak woodlands and some madrone mixed forest.

Evan Barrientos
www.natlens.wordpress.com

Jacksonville Woodlands trails, Jackson, Oregon, US
Aug 20, 2017 9:30 AM - 10:50 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
Comments: Sunny, TA 65-75F. No flowers. Species mostly in mixed flocks.
1 California Ground Squirrel.
14 species

Wild Turkey 8
Anna's Hummingbird 4
Rufous Hummingbird 1 Flycatching from Douglas-fir.
Acorn Woodpecker 2
Downy Woodpecker 1
Western Wood-Pewee 2
Steller's Jay 2
Black-capped Chickadee 6
Oak Titmouse 3
Red-breasted Nuthatch 1
White-breasted Nuthatch 6
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 3 In ceanothus cuneatus.
Spotted Towhee 1
Lesser Goldfinch 1

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/
checklist/S38734570

Back to top
Date: 8/13/17 3:38 pm
From: Tiffany Manger <77trinket...>
Subject: [RV Birds] SOLITARY SANDPIPER still at Wilson's Pond
The SOLITARY SANDPIPER that Bob Hunter found yesterday and this morning is
still there.

Sincerely,

Tiffany Manger

Back to top
Date: 8/13/17 9:39 am
From: Janet Kelly <chamkell...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Sandpiper ID
Turns out it is a LEAST SANDPIPER. Even though I was just looking at other LEASTS this one seemed different (lighting, position, who knows, etc) but the bill is not short enough and the legs not dark enough, so I continue my quest for better Sandpiper Identification. Thanks to Dick Ashford for his gracious words of wisdom..."There are no experts, no masters, only students"....

Janet

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 8/12/17 7:17 pm
From: Janet Kelly <chamkell...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Need Sandpiper ID help
At Kirtland Ponds around 4pm I noticed this sandpiper...the bill seems
short enough for SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER. Any thoughts? There were Leasts,
Westerns, 2 Killdeer and one Semipalmated Plover.

Janet

Back to top
Date: 8/12/17 12:06 pm
From: Janet Kelly <chamkell...>
Subject: Re: [RV Birds] Re: feeder observations
There are still young BHG's in my yard, hear and see them in the mornings... also a RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH did visit my bird bath one time for a quick drink a few years ago, haven't seen one since, that too was unusual for my place.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 12, 2017, at 12:00 PM, rdm <wsjaybird...><mailto:<wsjaybird...>> wrote:

One adult and one juvenile BH Grosbeak came to our feeder this week. Use a couple use the feeder occasionally fall-Spring. A Spotted Towhee and two CA Towhees also showed up this week. They usually leave for the breeding season.

On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 7:04:05 AM UTC-7, barbara massey wrote:
There has been a small flock of Black-headed Grosbeaks at my backyard feeder for over a week. As many as 7 feed on the sunflower seeds together and at all times of day. This is a new phenomenon this summer, previously only an occasional single bird has been seen. The grosbeaks are not territorial about the feeder; Black-capped Chickadee and Oak Titmouse are allowed to join them without conflict. And yesterday the flock was joined by a Red-breasted Nuthatch, which was a first in 18 years of observations. This montane species is unusual in the valley even in winter.

Back to top
Date: 8/12/17 12:00 pm
From: rdm <wsjaybird...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Re: feeder observations

Date: 8/12/17 11:46 am
From: Charter <annegoffar...>
Subject: Re: [RV Birds] feeder observations
It has been a landmark year for Black Headed Grosbeak in my yard as well. They arrived earlier than they ever have, April 12, and they been here in large numbers all summer. For the last few weeks I've had what I presume to be juveniles, certainly not the adult males, as many as 14 of them hanging around my feeder. The other summer surprise was that I had Evening Grosbeaks all summer long. They finally seem to be gone, haven't seen one in about seven days, but I had a large flock of them at my feeders every morning and evening from mid April until last week. It's actually only the third summer that I've ever had them in my yard. I figured they maybe nested around here?
Anne (in Ruch)

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 12, 2017, at 7:04 AM, Barbara Massey <bmassey...> wrote:
>
> There has been a small flock of Black-headed Grosbeaks at my backyard feeder for over a week. As many as 7 feed on the sunflower seeds together and at all times of day. This is a new phenomenon this summer, previously only an occasional single bird has been seen. The grosbeaks are not territorial about the feeder; Black-capped Chickadee and Oak Titmouse are allowed to join them without conflict. And yesterday the flock was joined by a Red-breasted Nuthatch, which was a first in 18 years of observations. This montane species is unusual in the valley even in winter.
>
> --
> --

Back to top
Date: 8/12/17 7:04 am
From: Barbara Massey <bmassey...>
Subject: [RV Birds] feeder observations

Date: 8/11/17 6:50 am
From: Janet Kelly <chamkell...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Re: Emigrant Baird's Sandpiper
Yesterday afternoon I went to Rosebud Lane hoping to find the SOLITARY
SANDPIPER. No luck there but ended up spotting 2 BAIRD'S in the mud puddle.
Thanks for the post!

Janet Kelly
Medford

On Thursday, August 10, 2017 at 11:01:47 AM UTC-7, frank lospalluto wrote:

> This morning at the south end of Emigrant Lake down what some call
> 'Rosebud Lane' where the old road bed sinks into the lake there was a
> juvenile BAIRD'S SANDPIPER along with a few Leasts and Westerns in a small
> puddle on the left /west side of the pavement.
>
> Also there was likely a Solitary Sandpiper in the willows and mud to the
> east of that area. Never got any real looks but did hear one.
>
> good birding,
> frank

Back to top

Date: 8/9/17 11:58 am
From: Ellie Armstrong <eea...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Citizen Science Opportunity for Fall Migration

Looking for a new place to bird during fall migration?

Klamath Bird Observatory and The Selberg Institute are continuing a
year-long citizen science project on the beautiful *Sampson Creek Preserve*
just east of Ashland and, are looking for volunteers to help monitor during
fall migration. This project offers something for all birders and outdoor
enthusiasts. Participants will have the choice to bird on fairly flat
terrain walking less than two miles through meadows and oak trees or for
more adventurous birders to explore off-trail along a gradient of different
habitats. The project takes place on a large parcel of private property
along Sampson Creek. The Preserve is in the foothills of the Cascades and
holds a variety of oak habitats as well as coniferous forests and riparian
woodlands. The Preserve is a terrific spot for birding and will give the
public a unique opportunity to visit and bird in diverse habitats managed
for conservation.

Citizen Scientists will be trained on the data collection and entry
protocols by a Klamath Bird Observatory biologist and the opportunity for *monthly
surveys* will continue throughout the year. Participation will include some
walking and/or hiking, recording all birds observed by sight and/or sound,
and entering and submitting your findings into eBird Northwest. You do not
need to be an advanced birder to participate, all who enjoy birding are
welcome. Dedicated Citizen Scientist have been surveying the property since
April, collecting robust data throughout the breeding season, we will
continue surveys throughout the fall and winter to complete a year-long
survey.

If you are interested in participating or would like more information
please contact KBO Biologist *Ellie Armstrong* at <eea...>

Back to top
Date: 8/7/17 6:48 am
From: Jeff Tufts <jctufts33...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Birds and the Aug.21 Solar Eclipse
Thanks to the Northwest Nature Shop in Ashland for posting this information
on their site.

http://www.northwestnatureshop.com/science/birds-react-solar-eclipse/

And if you're looking for a good graphic that shows how and when the
eclipse will appear in your location, there's this:

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/7/25/16019892/solar-eclipse-2017-interactive-map

Back to top
Date: 8/6/17 9:56 pm
From: Cody W. Smith <kingsalmon92...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Two different Say's Phoebes this weekend?
Details on either of these two reports?

Say's Phoebe (Sayornis saya) (1)
- Reported Aug 05, 2017 19:41 by Sean McAllister
- 1001–1299 N River Rd, Gold Hill US-OR (42.4302,-123.1058), Jackson, Oregon
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.430229,-123.105849&ll=42.430229,-123.105849
- Checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38499754

Say's Phoebe (Sayornis saya) (1)
- Reported Aug 06, 2017 08:37 by Steve Kaiserman
- Tou Velle SP, Jackson, Oregon
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.4423899,-122.8857493&ll=42.4423899,-122.8857493
- Checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38507076

- Cody Smith

Back to top
Date: 8/4/17 3:01 pm
From: Tiffany Manger <77trinket...>
Subject: Re: [RV Birds] Lost Creek Gulls
Hi all. I relocated the juvenile (??) Franklin's Gull today. It was kind
enough to fly directly over me while calling, and then land ~50' away! My
pics aren't all that great, but they still serve their purpose for
identification and validation.

The dark gull that Norm and Gary found yesterday is still there, and I
agree with Norm in his initial identification of a 1st summer Herring Gull.
The reason I think this is because the head shape is smooth, whereas my
Sibley's says a Western Gull's head is "rounded with peak over eye and a
sloped rear crown". Plus it looks like it has a large gape. The legs (which
you can't see) were pinkish/grayish.

I ALSO located what I believe to be an adult and a juvenile Western Gull!
Unfortunately, I've decided I did not get a good enough look at the adult
to be 100%. I did get a couple of pictures of the juvenile and am hoping
someone can help me verify the identification......or tell me why my ID is
incorrect.

I attached a collage of the two dark gulls. The two on the top are what I
think is a Herring Gull, and the two on the bottom are what I think is a
Western Gull. I saw both of these birds at the same time and within 10' of
each other. They were pretty similar in size.

I still have much to learn with gull identification - especially with
juvenile/subadult plumage. I realize that I may not be correct in either of
my ID's, but would love to get feedback from anyone who is willing.

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Tiffany

On Aug 3, 2017 16:11, "Norm Barrett" <ndbarrett...> wrote:

> If you don't mind peering through smoke Lost Creek has some interesting
> gulls. The Franklin's Gull continues. Also in the merged picture are
> three other juvenile gulls (of course) hanging out in the same area. Gary
> Shaffer and I stood side by side with identical cameras and lenses and his
> pictures don't even look like the gulls I photographed. I will blame it on
> the smoke. The dark, top left gull was a lot bigger than the other three
> gulls, with the Franklins (bottom left) being the smallest. I am leaning
> toward 1st summer Herring Gull on the dark one but anyone wanting to talk
> me out of it would not have to try hard. Gary is thinking 1st summer
> Western Gull. Are the other two, light colored and small gulls of the same
> species as each other, or are they two different species? I never
> photographed them together but Gary did and one looks slightly larger.
> That would be the one in the lower right of my pic. I am leaning toward
> Ring-billed Gulls for both and blame the differences in size and appearance
> on individual variation. I love that excuse. HELP! Norm Barrett
>
> --
> --

Back to top

Date: 8/2/17 8:48 pm
From: Tiffany Manger <77trinket...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Franklin's Gull @ Lost Creek?
Hi all.

Has anyone refound the Franklin's Gull reported yesterday by Bob Hunter
(originally found by Norm Barrett)? I know not everyone uses eBird and
thought I would check because I won't be able to head out there until
Friday, probably. MAYBE tomorrow.....

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

Tiffany Manger

Back to top
Date: 8/2/17 10:02 am
From: Ken Chamberlain <kjchamberlain...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Oregon Birding Association - Annual Mtg. Malheur Field Station
Oregon Birders

Don’t miss fall migration in Malheur! Here is your opportunity to bird Malheur NWR area at a reasonable cost!

September 15-17, 2017
Oregon Birding Association (OBA) Annual meeting at Malheur Field Station (MFS), Princeton, Oregon

Speakers:
Dr. Claudio Mello and Noah Stryker
Choice of 6 FREE Field trips

One spot left for the Saturday van birding tour with Duncan Evered, MSF director
($50)

Make you reservations now!

More information and registration at
http://www.orbirds.org/2017annualmeeting.html

KenChamberlain
for the OBA Board

Back to top
Date: 8/1/17 5:21 pm
From: Bob Hunter <bobhunter...>
Subject: Re: [RV Birds] Franklin's Gull Lost Creek
The Franklin's gull is still there.

Bob Hunter

Norm Barrett <ndbarrett...> wrote:

>Sorry for the delayed posting.  It took me a while to figure out what I had photographed.  Sunday at 9 AM there was a juvie Franklin's Gull and an adult Western at Lost Creek Reservoir, on the Medco A mudflats.  Also present were numerous Ring-billed Gulls of various ages.  Water is low enough that you can drive down to the flats.  A scattering of Western and Least Sandpipers and 2 Dowitchers shows fall shorebird migration has started.
>
>--
>--

Back to top

Date: 7/30/17 6:11 pm
From: Harry Fuller <atowhee...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Tule Lake Gallery
*I know it;' just across the border, but if you are in Klamath
anyway...Eared Grebe giving grebelets a ride, coot family, PB Grebe nest,
young ibis. et al. Great photos by Kirk Gooding.*
https://atowhee.wordpress.com/2017/07/30/yours-tule/

Date: 7/29/17 12:02 pm
From: Harry Fuller <atowhee...>
Subject: [RV Birds] eagles adopt buteo chick in the wild
*https://atowhee.wordpress.com/2017/07/29/nature-is-cruel-nature-is-kind/

Date: 7/28/17 8:23 pm
From: Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Re: Birds on the wire - 2 pics
Make that 7 Western Kingbirds... miscounted in my excitement :-)

On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 8:14:50 PM UTC-7, Karl Schneck wrote:

> Looking for Purple Martins and found family of 6 Western Kingbirds on the
> wires (pretty sure they fledged from nest very close by)... a bit later
> about 8 PM I found the PUMA, 8 of them on the same wires, 1 adult male and
> the rest either adult female or juveniles. Picture of each here:
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/136435824@N03/36066666902/in/photostream/

Back to top

Date: 7/28/17 5:06 pm
From: Harry Fuller <atowhee...>
Subject: [RV Birds] low point in high summer: Blue-green algae in Klamath Lake
https://atowhee.wordpress.com/2017/07/28/curse-of-the-algae/

Date: 7/28/17 5:04 am
From: Janet Kelly <chamkell...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Swifts
It's been 5 weeks, (which is normal), since they hatched and today the Vaux's Swifts finally have fledged. With this years success they should return again next year. I certainly hope so.

Janet Kelly
Medford

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top