rv-birds
Received From Subject
7/15/18 4:05 am Jeff Tufts <jctufts33...> [RV Birds] Re: Hooded Oriole in Sam's Valley
7/14/18 7:43 pm frank lospalluto <fdlospalluto...> [RV Birds] Hooded Oriole in Sam's Valley
7/14/18 9:15 am Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...> [RV Birds] Barn Owls finally fledged (pic)
7/13/18 6:46 pm frank lospalluto <fdlospalluto...> [RV Birds] Clark's Nutcracker
7/12/18 5:25 pm Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...> [RV Birds] Cornell Lab of Ornithology Nest Watch
7/11/18 9:41 am Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...> [RV Birds] American Kestrel feeding the kids (pic)
7/10/18 8:38 am Romain Cooper <romain...> [RV Birds] Lake Selmac Josephine Co Virginia Rail w young
7/9/18 10:51 am frank lospalluto <fdlospalluto...> [RV Birds] Lawrence's Goldfinch and young
7/5/18 8:01 pm Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...> [RV Birds] Re: Remember when they were called Sparrow Hawks ?
7/3/18 7:24 pm Lee French <golola77...> [RV Birds] Re: Remember when they were called Sparrow Hawks ?
7/3/18 6:36 pm Jeff Tufts <jctufts33...> [RV Birds] Remember when they were called Sparrow Hawks ?
6/29/18 7:35 pm 'Dick Ashford' via Rogue Valley Birds <rv-birds...> RE: [RV Birds] Griffin Half Moon timber sale
6/29/18 5:29 pm Ken Chamberlain <kjchamberlain...> [RV Birds] OBA - Marbled Murrelet Field Trip, Coos County
6/29/18 10:07 am Lee French <golola77...> [RV Birds] Griffin Half Moon timber sale
6/28/18 11:26 am Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...> [RV Birds] Re: Fledglings
6/27/18 5:19 pm Janet Kelly <chamkell...> [RV Birds] Fledglings
6/24/18 4:32 pm Harry Fuller <atowhee...> [RV Birds] Northeastern Oregon man helps Great Gray Owl family
6/24/18 4:06 pm frank lospalluto <fdlospalluto...> [RV Birds] American Dipper in Lithia Park
6/22/18 9:29 am 'Dick Ashford' via Rogue Valley Birds <rv-birds...> [RV Birds] 2018 AOS Supplement is out
6/21/18 10:55 am Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...> [RV Birds] Baby birds everywhere... also an "expert" birder quiz:
6/20/18 8:07 pm Ken Chamberlain <kjchamberlain...> [RV Birds] OBA Field Trip - Haystack Rock/Cannon Beach
6/20/18 3:48 pm Harry Fuller <atowhee...> [RV Birds] family album of Great Gray Owls in Jackson County

Back to top
Date: 7/15/18 4:05 am
From: Jeff Tufts <jctufts33...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Re: Hooded Oriole in Sam's Valley
Here's a link to the eBird report

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47186609

And here's a link to the Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/groups/birdingoregon/permalink/663747373983487/

And here's a link to the eBird map that shows two historical sightings of
Hooded Oriole in Jackson County. Not sure if this link will work. If it
doesn't, do a search for Hooded Oriole in Jackson County on the eBird
site. Gary Shaffer's checklist from 2004 includes a great photo of a
male. The other report, from 1992, was posted by Howard Sands.

https://ebird.org/pnw/map/hooori?neg=true&env.minX=-137.69662499999998&env.minY=40.48070015684574&env.maxX=-102.54037499999998&env.maxY=50.8339623204713&zh=true&gp=false&ev=Z&mr=1-12&bmo=1&emo=12&yr=all&byr=1900&eyr=2018

On Saturday, July 14, 2018 at 7:43:52 PM UTC-7, frank lospalluto wrote:

> Saw a report on Oregon Birders on Line that a HOODED ORIOLE was in
> southern Oregon. There are some photos on Facebook... Birding Oregon. It
> was visiting a feeder in Sam's Valley. I am not on FB but was able to see
> the photos and it's a beautiful male.
>
> good birding
> frank
>
> --
> But as important as we are to ourselves, we’re not all there is on this
> blue marble. And if we are just thinking about ourselves, then we are
> failing as ethical agents, which is to say as human beings.
> Elizabeth Kolbert

Back to top

Date: 7/14/18 9:15 am
From: Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Barn Owls finally fledged (pic)
Nothing in the box this morning and I found them in the trees above the
creek next to where they nested. Here's one of them (I'm thinking juvenile
because it didn't fly right away and the adult roosting outside the active
box always took off as soon as I got close... but if you know more let me
know):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/136435824@N03/43357367322/in/dateposted/

Back to top
Date: 7/13/18 6:46 pm
From: frank lospalluto <fdlospalluto...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Clark's Nutcracker
This morning while walking into a survey site I heard a Clark's Nutcracker
above Murphy Gulch near Evans Creek outside Wimer. Seemed pretty weird but
birds can be weird and corvids especially so.

good birding,
frank

Date: 7/12/18 5:25 pm
From: Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Cornell Lab of Ornithology Nest Watch
I started my participation in the Nest Watch program on Cornell's
website http://www.birds.cornell.edu for my American Kestrel nest. I opened
the box for the first time today (after passing the certification exam) and
found 4 white, downy babies staring at me... so cute, I wanted to keep
one... no worries, I didn't. Next, I'm starting data entry for my Barn Owl
nest, who still haven't fledged (or they are roosting in the box during the
day). If you didn't see it, I have a picture of dad bringing in a lizard
for the kestrel kids at
https://www.flickr.com/photos/136435824@N03/43296000982/in/dateposted/ I'm
a huge fan of Cornell because they do so much for our birds and I'm so
happy that I can contribute through eBird and now the Nest Watch.
Screenshot of data entry page below:

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-RlW2aGmd4Rs/W0fwDf6yDcI/AAAAAAAAChs/Vm6MuBRKgygws7tKjnQXPCJM5bb6zSgQwCLcBGAs/s1600/nest.JPG>

Back to top
Date: 7/11/18 9:41 am
From: Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...>
Subject: [RV Birds] American Kestrel feeding the kids (pic)
Dad bringing a lizard snack for the
kids: https://www.flickr.com/photos/136435824@N03/43296000982/in/dateposted/

Back to top
Date: 7/10/18 8:38 am
From: Romain Cooper <romain...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Lake Selmac Josephine Co Virginia Rail w young
Hello,

I briefly birded Lake Selmac, Illinois Valley, Josephine Co.
yesterday (7/9/2018) morning. Link to bird list below. I observed
at close range a pair of adult Virginia Rail with a black, downy
chick near (< 2 ft.) its parents.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47110543

Romain Cooper
10398 Takilma Road
Cave Junction, OR 97523
541-592-2311

Back to top
Date: 7/9/18 10:51 am
From: frank lospalluto <fdlospalluto...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Lawrence's Goldfinch and young
Anne Goff sent this message earlier this morning:

*at the Provolt pond, right past the welcome to Josephine County sign, on a
branch extending for Michelle shrub on the side of the road, over the
pond,I saw an adult male Lawrences goldfinch feeding four begging babies.
Seriously. Black face, Gray back,bright yellow chest, white belly,
absolutely a Lawrences. I could not get a picture because my camera
wouldn't focus, and when I set it to manual they flew across the road into
the tree orchard. The babies had somewhat subtle striping on the belly, and
yellow on the outer wings. Sort of like a pine siskins, but the bill was
not as pointed*

Back to top
Date: 7/5/18 8:01 pm
From: Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Re: Remember when they were called Sparrow Hawks ?
My nesting kestrels can have all the House Sparrows and European Starlings
they want. Here's a pic of the female kestrel at a Lee French Limited
Edition Western Screech-Owl house that came with a very low price, nice
view, clear driveway, and sparse furniture for the owl/kestrel to move
into: https://www.flickr.com/photos/136435824@N03/41740084714/in/dateposted/

On Tuesday, July 3, 2018 at 6:36:53 PM UTC-7, Jeff Tufts wrote:

> Well, you've got to be a birder of a "certain age" to remember, but yes
> American Kestrel was once known as Sparrow Hawk. And they do still grab
> the occasional House Sparrow for a full meal.
>
> But seldom does a Kestrel have to work as hard as the guy in this
> remarkable photo did. Local birder and bird photographer John Casad had
> his camera ready as he watched this male Kestrel try for several minutes to
> squeeze into the nest box to get at one of the residents. As John's photo
> clearly shows, when the Kestrel finally realized that its head was too big
> for the opening, it reached in with one leg, grabbed one of the sparrows,
> and pulled it out. It's a bird-eat-bird world out there.

Back to top
Date: 7/3/18 7:24 pm
From: Lee French <golola77...>
Jeff- As a bird house builder, I applaud the kestrel's efforts. Just hope
he leaves the bluebirds and tree swallows alone. Lee French

Date: 6/29/18 7:35 pm
From: 'Dick Ashford' via Rogue Valley Birds <rv-birds...>
Subject: RE: [RV Birds] Griffin Half Moon timber sale
Not sure who can fix them, but the “action required” link has at least two typos, which have a way of distracting the reader’s attention as well as lowering the message’s credibility. I recommend someone at KS Wild or RVAS take corrective action.

Cheers

Dick

Date: 6/29/18 5:29 pm
From: Ken Chamberlain <kjchamberlain...>
Subject: [RV Birds] OBA - Marbled Murrelet Field Trip, Coos County
Oregon Birding Association- Marbled Murrelet Field Trip, Coos County.

Trip Leaders: Clark McMahon/Coast Range Forest Watch & Ken Chamberlain

When: 5 am - about 12 noon, Sunday July 22, 2018

Where: This trip will be based in Coos Bay/North Bend, Oregon. We will meet at the Bay Bridge Motel at 5 am. From there we will carpool to the Elliot State Forest where we will join Coast Range Forest Watch for their 5th annual Community Survey and visit a stand of old-growth forest. We will follow up with a visit to Cape Arago State Park.

Birds and site conditions: The target species is the Marbled Murrelet. We will hear and view this species during their secretive dawn fly-in to remnant old growth forest, followed by a short visit to a nearby old-growth area in the Elliot State Forest. After viewing the forest habitat and birds, we will travel to the Simpson Reef overlook to view the murrelets on near shore waters.

Visiting the survey site requires a predawn ½ mile walk on a brushy uneven but low gradient abandoned road. I made this field trip in July, 2017. It was an outstanding birding experience with folks who are trained Marbled Murrelet surveyors.

There is an optional presentation by Coast Range Forest Watch about Marbled Murrelet biology and activity in the Elliot State Forest. The presentation is on Saturday July 21, from 3-5pm at the 7 Devils Brewery in Coos Bay.

How to register: This trip is limited to 10 Oregon Birding Association members. If you are not a current member, you can join online at http://www.orbirds.org/join.html <http://www.orbirds.org/join.html>. There is no fee for this field trip, however preregistration is required. You can register for the trip at https://goo.gl/forms/3YHxr098fTM203m02 <https://goo.gl/forms/3YHxr098fTM203m02> .

Please contact Ken Chamberlain with all questions or comments regarding this trip. <kjchamberlain...> <mailto:<kjchamberlain...>, 503-819-3335.

Please excuse my cross-posting to multiple lists

Back to top

Date: 6/28/18 11:26 am
From: Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Re: Fledglings
My Barn Owls are still in the box. Not sure how many, but it sounds like a
lot of them when they hiss. This is my first successful year after having
the box up for 3 yrs. The female American Kestrel is incubating now. Barn
Swallow is incubating and Tree Swallows have fledged. Love 'em all.

On Wednesday, June 27, 2018 at 5:19:28 PM UTC-7, Janet Kelly wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> 3 Bullock’s Orioles have fledged. It’s the first time they have nested in
> my yard here in South Medford. Last week 2 Barn Owlets fledged also.. got
> to see them taking short flights from tree to tree in the late evening.
> This has been happening since 2008 when the Barn Owl box went up!
>
> Good birding,
> Janet
>

> Sent from my iPhone

Back to top

Date: 6/24/18 4:32 pm
From: Harry Fuller <atowhee...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Northeastern Oregon man helps Great Gray Owl family
they nested in this laundry basket platform and accepted his food offerings:

atowhee.blog/2018/06/24/andys-second-family/
--
Harry Fuller
author of: *San Francisco's Natural History: Sand Dunes to Streetcars:*

Back to top
Date: 6/24/18 4:06 pm
From: frank lospalluto <fdlospalluto...>
Subject: [RV Birds] American Dipper in Lithia Park
Hi birders,
Peter Kreisman made a nice video of a recent fledgling being fed by the
male below the nest site in the upper part of the park, the renowned Bridge
3.

http://lithiadipperwatch.com/2018/06/24/dipper-note-06-22-18/

happy summer birding,
frank

Date: 6/22/18 9:29 am
From: 'Dick Ashford' via Rogue Valley Birds <rv-birds...>
Subject: [RV Birds] 2018 AOS Supplement is out
For those listers out there. Note that we will now have Canada Jays in the local mountains.😀

> http://blog.aba.org/2018/06/aos2018.html
>

> Cheers,
> Dick
> Sent from my iPad

Back to top
Date: 6/21/18 10:55 am
From: Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Baby birds everywhere... also an "expert" birder quiz:
Current status of nests at my house:

Barn Owl - expecting them to fledge very soon; noisy and smelly
American Kestrel - probably incubating... they seem pretty skittish, so I
try not to bother them
Western Kingbird - sad... nest with babies got blown off the utility pole,
no trace of them, parents are still around and carrying nesting material so
looks hopeful for a fresh start... they have sloppy, fragile nests so no
wonder the nest is gone
Bullock's Oriole - can't see in their hanging nest, but they are busy
coming and going... and loving my marionberry jam treats
Tree Swallow - 2 nests in boxes with babies
Barn Swallow - incubating
Western Bluebird - fledged
Acorn Woodpecker - I need to update
Purple Martin - somewhere close is all I know... don't think they are
incubating yet because I see them as a pair
Ash-throated Flycatcher - maybe, I've had one here the last few mornings
Red-tailed Hawk - fledged quite a while ago

And the quiz: see the first 2 photos (make sure you read the captions)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/136435824@N03/28071606687/in/photostream/

What a great time of year to enjoy the birds!!!

Back to top
Date: 6/20/18 8:07 pm
From: Ken Chamberlain <kjchamberlain...>
Subject: [RV Birds] OBA Field Trip - Haystack Rock/Cannon Beach

Oregon Birding Association- Cannon Beach / Haystack Rock Field Trip, Clatsop County.

Trip Leaders: Diana Byrne & Ken Chamberlain

When: 7 am - 12 noon, Saturday July 14, 2018

Where: This trip will be based in Cannon Beach, Oregon. We will meet at the mid-town public parking lot located S. Hemlock and Gower Ave at 7 am. We will first bird Haystack Rock (part of the Oregon Islands National Wildlife Refuge), followed by birding several sites in Cannon Beach and nearby.

Birds and site conditions: The primary target species of this trip is the Tufted Puffin. We will be visiting during a 2 ft. minus tide allowing relatively close viewing. There will be emphasis on slow birding and bird photography during this portion of the trip. We should have good photographic opportunities for the puffins and other seabirds, both perched and especially in flight.

Other species found at Haystack Rock include Harlequin Duck, Common Murre, Pigeon Guillemot, Black Oystercatchers, our three species of Cormorants, and nesting Western Gulls.

We will follow up with birding for passerine species at upland sites around town and nearby. We will wrap up at noon.

Public restrooms are located near the SW corner of the parking lot, on the west side of Hemlock St. We will walk about 1/2 mile from the parking lot and along the beach to reach Haystack Rock.
Walking at other birding locations will include gravel roads and paths that are level or slightly sloped, with distances up to 2 miles. Coffee will not be available at 7am will in Cannon Beach at 7am, please bring your own.

How to register: This trip is limited to 16 Oregon Birding Association members. If you are not a current member, you can join online at http://www.orbirds.org/join.html <http://www.orbirds.org/join.html>. There is no fee for this field trip, however preregistration is required. You can register for the trip at https://goo.gl/J8uaJd <https://goo.gl/J8uaJd>.

Date: 6/20/18 3:48 pm
From: Harry Fuller <atowhee...>
Subject: [RV Birds] family album of Great Gray Owls in Jackson County
no details of locations included, nesting site was on private land

atowhee.blog/2018/06/20/great-gray-owls-a-family-album/