rv-birds
Received From Subject
3/24/19 7:41 pm Alex Lamoreaux <aslamoreaux...> [RV Birds] Re: Denman WMA American Tree Sparrow
3/24/19 7:10 pm frank lospalluto <fdlospalluto...> [RV Birds] Common Yellowthroat
3/24/19 6:52 pm Alex Lamoreaux <aslamoreaux...> [RV Birds] Denman WMA American Tree Sparrow
3/24/19 5:35 am Jeff Tufts <jctufts33...> [RV Birds] First Common Loons of 2019 seen at Lost Creek Lake
3/23/19 3:45 pm Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...> [RV Birds] American Kestrels moving in
3/22/19 7:33 pm Pepper <pepper.trail...> [RV Birds] Mockingbird and Say's Phoebe near Emigrant Lake
3/21/19 5:12 pm Sammie Peat <sammiebretton...> [RV Birds] Yellow Black-capped chickadee at Ashland pond
3/21/19 1:54 pm Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...> [RV Birds] Re: More kestrel news
3/21/19 11:31 am Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...> [RV Birds] More kestrel news
3/21/19 7:16 am Jeff Tufts <jctufts33...> [RV Birds] Two more to put the 2019 total up to 175...links to photos included
3/20/19 11:42 am Alex Lamoreaux <aslamoreaux...> [RV Birds] Swainson’s Hawk at W Antelope/Table Rock
3/19/19 5:41 pm Lee French <golola77...> [RV Birds] Re: Northern Shrike
3/19/19 8:17 am Jeff Tufts <jctufts33...> [RV Birds] Three more for the 2019 Jackson County list
3/18/19 6:38 pm Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...> [RV Birds] American Kestrel dad has claimed the box
3/18/19 5:14 pm Lee French <golola77...> [RV Birds] Great Gray Owl
3/17/19 4:20 pm Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...> [RV Birds] It's not easy being a Golden Eagle
3/16/19 12:29 pm Jeffrey Tufts <jctufts33...> Re: [RV Birds] Northern Rough-winged Swallow?
3/16/19 11:35 am Roxanna Tessman <roxannatessman...> [RV Birds] Northern Rough-winged Swallow?
3/14/19 6:53 am Jeffrey Tufts <jctufts33...> Re: [RV Birds] Two new birds for the Jackson County list
3/14/19 5:01 am Jeff Tufts <jctufts33...> [RV Birds] Two new birds for the Jackson County list
3/13/19 5:34 pm Howard Sands <howard3sands...> [RV Birds] Can you beat this one?
3/13/19 1:22 pm frank lospalluto <fdlospalluto...> Re: [RV Birds] Can you beat this one?
3/13/19 12:25 pm Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...> [RV Birds] Can you beat this one?
3/12/19 9:30 pm Ken Chamberlain <kjchamberlain74...> [RV Birds] Fwd: The 2018 Oregon Listing Results are published
3/12/19 10:01 am Alex Lamoreaux <aslamoreaux...> [RV Birds] Violet-green Swallow Migration!
3/11/19 7:59 pm Lee French <golola77...> [RV Birds] Re: Northern Shrike
3/11/19 8:55 am Janet Kelly <CHAMKELL...> [RV Birds] ID Challenge
3/10/19 6:28 am Jeff Tufts <jctufts33...> [RV Birds] Checklists of Bird of the World -- there are four of them
3/9/19 5:20 pm Sammie Peat <sammiebretton...> [RV Birds] Nesting bird
3/9/19 1:02 pm Elizabeth <tattypoo2000...> [RV Birds] Big Bear Bald Eagle Nest
3/8/19 10:49 am <ousterhoutgrapes...> [RV Birds] Do not open "Jeffrey Tufts" phishing email
3/5/19 2:00 pm Lee French <golola77...> [RV Birds] Northern Shrike
3/5/19 8:57 am Ken Chamberlain <kjchamberlain74...> [RV Birds] Fwd: Listing Results - Proof Sheets
3/5/19 6:40 am Cecile Shohet <cshohet...> [RV Birds] Medford Raptor Run, Sunday March 3
3/4/19 6:10 am Jeff Tufts <jctufts33...> [RV Birds] Three more for the Jackson County list
3/3/19 4:21 pm <vzauskey...> [RV Birds] Rough-legged Hawks, Imperatrice Property, 3/3/19
3/3/19 9:43 am <dpvroman...> [RV Birds] Jo Co 1st Rufous Hummer
3/3/19 4:57 am Jeff Tufts <jctufts33...> [RV Birds] Seventeen day species "drought" ends
3/2/19 11:36 am 'Linda Kreisman' via Rogue Valley Birds <rv-birds...> [RV Birds] FW: Redhead duck
3/2/19 10:31 am maggi rackley <imamaggi2...> [RV Birds] Rufous up the creek
3/1/19 4:46 pm <barrymckenzie...> [RV Birds] Agate Lake Burrowing Owl still present 3/1/19
3/1/19 10:52 am Alex Lamoreaux <aslamoreaux...> [RV Birds] Golden Eagles over Ashland
2/28/19 10:32 am Jeffrey Tufts <jctufts33...> Re: [RV Birds] So what do you do if you are a birdaholic and it's freezing out?
2/28/19 10:19 am Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...> [RV Birds] So what do you do if you are a birdaholic and it's freezing out?
2/26/19 1:46 am Ken Chamberlain <kjchamberlain...> [RV Birds] Fwd: Last call for Listing Results
2/24/19 12:15 pm Janet Kelly <chamkell...> Re: [RV Birds] Mingus Pond Birding Hotspot Re-named on eBird
2/24/19 11:17 am Jeff Tufts <jctufts33...> [RV Birds] Mingus Pond Birding Hotspot Re-named on eBird

Back to top
Date: 3/24/19 7:41 pm
From: Alex Lamoreaux <aslamoreaux...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Re: Denman WMA American Tree Sparrow
Someone found me an accessible link to that tree sparrow article:
http://www.ksbirds.org/kos/bulletin/Vol54No4.pdf

-Alex

--
Alex Lamoreaux
717-943-7086

Back to top
Date: 3/24/19 7:10 pm
From: frank lospalluto <fdlospalluto...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Common Yellowthroat
A Common Yellowthroat found Violet and I walking the trail on the southend
of Emigrant late this afternoon. We also saw a pollen covered chickadee
like the one Sammie shared photographs of ... it was covered in willow
pollen and looked Townsendesque. (Maybe it yearned to become a warbler like
the tree sparrow at Denman.Or maybe not....)

happy spring birding,
frank

Back to top

Date: 3/24/19 5:35 am
From: Jeff Tufts <jctufts33...>
Subject: [RV Birds] First Common Loons of 2019 seen at Lost Creek Lake
Norm Barrett and Jim Livaudais saw two Common Loons at Lost Creek Lake
yesterday. That's species number 176 for Jackson County this year.

Small numbers of Common Loons are seen every year during March and April at
Lost Creek Lake, with most of them in their spectacular breeding plumage.
And, every once in a while, there will be huge numbers. There 50 of them
reported there on April 5, 2013, and 20 on April 20, 2014.

Updated lists are attached along with a Jim Livaudais photo from 2006 at
LCL.

Back to top
Date: 3/23/19 3:45 pm
From: Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...>
Subject: [RV Birds] American Kestrels moving in
The male kestrel was perched about 10' from the box, flew off its perch,
flew back and went in the box, flew out and joined the female on their
favorite oak snag after mating again (same behavior yesterday with the box,
tree, and mating).
Photos on eBird report: https://ebird.org/pnw/view/checklist/S54150010

Back to top
Date: 3/22/19 7:33 pm
From: Pepper <pepper.trail...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Mockingbird and Say's Phoebe near Emigrant Lake
I had an unexpected sighting of a Northern Mockingbird today at the south
end of Emigrant Lake. This was perched in the top of a big wild rose bush
(full of rosehips) on the "Old Greensprings Highway," the spur road that
turns off of Hwy 66 at the small bridge over Emigrant Creek. This was a
couple of hundred yards up the road, after where it turns to dirt.

Further up, in the Sampson Creek Preserve, I had a Say's Phoebe. This area
is open by permission only, but I thought the observation was worth
reporting.

Pepper

Back to top
Date: 3/21/19 5:12 pm
From: Sammie Peat <sammiebretton...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Yellow Black-capped chickadee at Ashland pond
Yesterday afternoon at Ashland pond just as the cinder block wall starts, there was a chickadee with an all yellow chest and a bit of yellow around its beak.

I'm assuming the yellow is from pollen of the newly blooming tree??

Back to top
Date: 3/21/19 1:54 pm
From: Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Re: More kestrel news
Update: the female kestrel went in the box, then flew to an oak snag, the
male flew to join her, and they mated.

On Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 11:31:03 AM UTC-7, Karl Schneck wrote:

> Hope I'm not boring anyone with my Karl's Kestrel, but they are so cute
> and I'm so excited. I looked out the window a few minutes ago and saw what
> I thought were the male and female kestrels flying together. I ran outside
> with bins and the male kestrel was on top of a tree and the "female
> kestrel" was at the top of a nearby tree... something looked odd about the
> female kestrel... it had bold streaking on the breast, very dark bird, and
> white eyebrow - making it a Merlin. I ran back inside for the camera and
> when I got back outside the Merlin was on the tree the male kestrel was on
> a minute ago. Either the male kestrel made a mistake with the female Merlin
> thinking it was a kestrel (not likely, right?) or they were having a
> territory squabble (more likely). I did see a female kestrel yesterday, so
> hopefully, my male kestrel will have a mate and they will reside in the
> luxurious, Lee French-designed box being reserved for them and all cleaned
> up with new oak leaf wall-to-wall carpeting since they used it last year.
> Here is a pic of the Merlin:
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/136435824@N03/47436275321/in/dateposted/

Back to top

Date: 3/21/19 7:16 am
From: Jeff Tufts <jctufts33...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Two more to put the 2019 total up to 175...links to photos included
The American White Pelican that showed up at Agate Lake Tuesday, and the
very early (and rare) Swainson's Hawk that was spotted yesterday (Wed.)
bumped the 2019 Jackson County list to 175.

Larry Wright was the first to see the Pelican, and Karl Schneck later got a
great photo of the bird. Note the vertical plate near the tip of the bill
that indicates breeding plumage.

https://ebird.org/pnw/view/checklist/S54025365

Alex Lamoreaux spotted the immature Swainson's Hawk yesterday afternoon and
got a good flight shot that shows the underwing pattern of the light-morph
bird.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S54047705

Which species will be next on the list ? I have no clue. Maybe a
California Gull. Or a Western Sandpiper. Stay tuned.

Updated lists are attached.

Back to top
Date: 3/20/19 11:42 am
From: Alex Lamoreaux <aslamoreaux...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Swainson’s Hawk at W Antelope/Table Rock
There is a light subadult Swainson’s Hawk hunting the fields along W
Antelope just west of the intersection with Table Rock. I have photos that
I’ll post to eBird later today.

Alex
--
Alex Lamoreaux
717-943-7086

Back to top
Date: 3/19/19 5:41 pm
From: Lee French <golola77...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Re: Northern Shrike
Today the shrike was closer to Hyatt Prairie Rd near DIMR.

On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 7:59:07 PM UTC-7, Lee French wrote:

> Still there.
>
> On Tuesday, March 5, 2019 at 2:00:38 PM UTC-8, Lee French wrote:
>>
>> Hanging out between mileposts 15 and 16 on Dead Indian Memorial Road. Not
>> 100% sure of the mileposts as the determining digits are under snow. Look
>> in the scant shrubbery near the road in the big meadows. Anyway, I've seen
>> the bird 3 times in the last 3 weeks

Back to top
Date: 3/19/19 8:17 am
From: Jeff Tufts <jctufts33...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Three more for the 2019 Jackson County list
Two swallow species--one a bit earlier than expected--and an Owl report
that arrived via the Pony Express have moved the 2019 Jackson County
species list up to 173.

The swallow species were Cliff (seen at the Holy Waters March 16 by Norm
Barrett) and Northern Rough-winged (spotted along the Bear Creek Greenway
in Ashland by Roxanna Tessman, also on March 16).

Cliff Swallows have been reported to eBird as early as Feb. 7, but the
previous earliest report to eBird of a Northern Rough-winged Swallow was
Mar 20.

The report that was delivered by the Pony Express was of a Great Gray Owl
seen along the road to Little Hyatt Lake on Jan. 27.

It was delayed significantly because the reporting parties--who shall go
unnamed--decided to entrust the information to a young, inexperienced
courier who became lost and snowbound--along with his pony--in the
Cascades. After several weeks of enduring difficult conditions and being
down to their last bag of chicken mcnuggets, the pair were discovered by a
cross-country ski team from a local elementary school who strapped them to
the top of their minivan and drove them to safety in Ashland. Movie rights
to their harrowing tale are under discussion

Update checklists are attached.

Back to top
Date: 3/18/19 6:38 pm
From: Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...>
Subject: [RV Birds] American Kestrel dad has claimed the box
Looks like a pretty sure thing for the kestrels to use the screecher box in
the backyard for the 2nd year in a row.
Dad is perched in the oak about 4' from the box. I'd say he's got it
claimed and pity some stupid starling or flicker that wanders too near (he
chased them off last year). Of course, dad has to get the approval of his
bride before it's a sure thing... and I haven't seen her around lately...
but she'll have to approve it since I decorated it with wall-to-wall oak
leaf carpeting.
Picture (taken out the kitchen window) at:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136435824@N03/33540681828/in/dateposted/

Back to top
Date: 3/18/19 5:14 pm
From: Lee French <golola77...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Great Gray Owl
Saw one today on Hyatt Prairie Rd

Back to top
Date: 3/17/19 4:20 pm
From: Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...>
Subject: [RV Birds] It's not easy being a Golden Eagle
There are a few Red-tailed Hawk nests in the area, so this Golden Eagle
isn't getting the red carpet treatment... unless those talons dig into the
eagle's back. This one is an adult and the one from yesterday was a
youngster (photo
at https://www.flickr.com/photos/136435824@N03/46481571315/in/dateposted/)

Back to top
Date: 3/16/19 12:29 pm
From: Jeffrey Tufts <jctufts33...>
Subject: Re: [RV Birds] Northern Rough-winged Swallow?
Sure looks like a Rough-winged. Longish wings match.
Earliest arrival date in Jackson County eBird records was March 20 (2008)
But Josephine County has already had a Rough-winged this year.
So …..

On Sat, Mar 16, 2019 at 11:35 AM Roxanna Tessman <roxannatessman...>
wrote:

> Good morning friends. On my walk this morning along the Greenway - from
> the dog park toward the greenway path, turn right at the bridge on look on
> the power lines on the left. I saw this bird on the wire. Is it a
> Rough-winged? It was a gorgeous morning for birding!
>
> Roxanna Tessman
> Ashland
>
> --
> --

Back to top

Date: 3/14/19 6:53 am
From: Jeffrey Tufts <jctufts33...>
Subject: Re: [RV Birds] Two new birds for the Jackson County list
Correction !! Correction !!
Thanks to Janet Kelly for pointing out that Steve Kaiserman reported an
Osprey at Holy Waters on March 11.
Sorry about that Steve.
Here are the corrected lists.

On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 5:01 AM Jeff Tufts <jctufts33...> wrote:

> The 2019 Jackson County species list is now up to 170 with the addition of
> Cinnamon Teal and Osprey.
>
> Jim Livaudais came up with the first Cinnamon Teal at Denman WMA March 5
> (sorry...forgot to report that one in a timely manner), and Janet Kelly
> reported an Osprey at Emigrant Lake Tuesday (Mar 12).
>
> Interestingly, the first Osprey reported to eBird from Josephine County
> also was on Tuesday.
>
> So what's next ? Common Loon from Lost Creek Lake ? Maybe Rough-winged
> (already reported from JoCo) or Cliff Swallow. Common Yellowthroat ?
> Great Gray Owl ? Clark's Nutcracker ? Stay tuned.
>
> Updated Excel and PDF lists are attached.
>
> --
> --

Back to top

Date: 3/13/19 5:34 pm
From: Howard Sands <howard3sands...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Can you beat this one?
Can you send those eagles my way? So far the ground squirrels seem to be having a good year. They especially like it under my house.

Back to top
Date: 3/13/19 1:22 pm
From: frank lospalluto <fdlospalluto...>
Subject: Re: [RV Birds] Can you beat this one?
Karl,

maybe ebird should have a type of observation named : Pleasant Surprise

good birding,
frank

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 12:25 PM Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...>
wrote:

> Golden Eagles are pretty common over N. Valley View Rd. but they always
> amaze me with their size and power. Check the GOEA skeleton below (from
> Noble Proctor's *Manual of Ornithology*)... you don't want those legs
> headed your way.
> I watched a GOEA a couple of days ago hit the ground in the pasture next
> to our house and it came up with what looked to have been a ground
> squirrel. As it took off, there was no mercy from the ravens who harassed
> the eagle. The last I saw the eagle it was flying over the valley trying to
> get rid of the ravens and find a place to eat its prey.
> Today: so I'm cleaning the cobwebs in a skylight a few minutes ago and a
> Golden Eagle sails overhead ... that would be an "incidental" report on
> eBird and a pleasant surprise for me.
>
> [image: goea.jpg]
>
> --
> --

Back to top

Date: 3/12/19 9:30 pm
From: Ken Chamberlain <kjchamberlain74...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Fwd: The 2018 Oregon Listing Results are published

Forwarding for Paul Sullivan....

Begin forwarded message:

> [...]
>
> Notable STATE LISTING achievements:
>
> Jeff Harding, Jay Withgott, and Lars Skaines passed the mark of 400
> species in Oregon. Seventy-three birders have now reached that mark.
> The top Oregon Life List stands at 498 species (Jeff Gilligan).
> Will Wright posted the highest state year list at 345 species for the second
> year in a row. Fifty-six birders submitted state year lists for 2018.
> Participation in the Birds Photographed in Oregon category increased
> to 66 people. Tom Crabtree tops that list with 440 species.
> Tait Anderson tops the Motorless Life and Year Lists with 305 and
> 232, respectively. These categories saw 22 and 7 participants, respectively.
> The Western Oregon and Eastern Oregon Life list categories grew to
> 22 and 19 participants, respectively. Paul Sullivan tops the Western Oregon
> list at 411 and Tom Crabtree the Eastern Oregon list at 384.
>
> Notable COUNTY LISTING achievements:
>
> Three more birders reached the goal of 100 species in each of
> Oregon's 36 counties: Aaron Skirvin, Howard Horvath, and Mary Oppenheimer.
> Twenty-six people have now reached that goal.
>
> Ken Chamberlin reached the goal of 125 species in each of Oregon's
> 36 counties.
>
> Two more birders have reached the goal of seeing 150 species in each
> of Oregon's 36 counties: Tim Shelmerdine and Russ Namitz.
>
> New County Life List Records:
> Benton 289 Hendrik Herlyn
> Columbia 244 Don Coggswell
> Crook 283 Chuck Gates
> Deschutes 332 Tom Crabtree
> Gilliam 208 Darrel Faxon
> Josephine 255 Dennis Vroman
> Klamath 318 Kevin Spencer
> Lincoln 388 Darrel Faxon
> Marion 278 Roy Gerig
> Multnomah 301 John Fitchen
> Tillamook 305 Wink Gross, Jeff Gilligan
> Umatilla 295 Aaron Skirvin
> Union 291 Trent Bray
>
> New County Year List Record:
> Grant 188 Jimi Soupir
> This broke a county year list record that had stood for 30 years!
> Congratulations, Jimi.
> Seventy-five birders reported county year lists in 2018. However, no birder
> submitted a year list for Gilliam, Jefferson, or Malheur County.
>
> Notable LOCAL LISTING achievements:
> 15 mile Circle Count Life List (31 participants) 276 Tom
> Crabtree - Bend CBC circle
> 15 mile Circle Count 2018 Year List (8 participants) 193 Philip Kline
> - Sauvie Island CBC circle
> Favorite Refuge (32 participants) 275 Rick Vetter
> - Malheur NWR
> Favorite Spot (31 participants) 253 Tim
> Rodenkirk - North Spit, Coos Bay
>
> Yard Life List: 63 yard lists are listed, representing a variety of sizes,
> habitats, and duration of observation. Everyone's yard list is a notable
> achievement, no matter the number of species.
>
> Congratulations to all who participated!
>
> Thank you to all who submitted Listing Results this year. We hope to hear
> from even more of our friends next year.

Back to top
Date: 3/12/19 10:01 am
From: Alex Lamoreaux <aslamoreaux...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Violet-green Swallow Migration!
Steady flow of VG Swallows through Ashland right now! I just counted over
130 moving NW past E Valley View Rd.

Alex
--
Alex Lamoreaux
717-943-7086

Back to top
Date: 3/11/19 7:59 pm
From: Lee French <golola77...>

Date: 3/11/19 8:55 am
From: Janet Kelly <CHAMKELL...>
Subject: [RV Birds] ID Challenge
Hi All,

Yesterday, saw this Merlin on Highbanks Rd having a meal. I'm curious of what species that meal might be....even with that leg showing, I can't figure it out....help, thoughts, ideas welcome.

Janet Kelly

Back to top
Date: 3/10/19 6:28 am
From: Jeff Tufts <jctufts33...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Checklists of Bird of the World -- there are four of them
The Santa Monica Bay Audubon Society newsletter recently posted a copy of a
report that originally appeared on the BIRDCHAT listserv. If you've done
much travelling outside of the USA, you might find this interesting. It's
an overview of the four different checklists of birds of the world. And
they are different.

https://smbasblog.com/2019/03/09/the-four-different-checklists-of-birds-of-the-world/

Back to top
Date: 3/9/19 5:20 pm
From: Sammie Peat <sammiebretton...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Nesting bird
This afternoon, at North Mountain park, Rene and I saw a female Anna's
hummingbird near the creek on a small brushy tree. As I was trying to get a
photo I thought it was flying away but flew a foot or two below and landed
on what appeared to be a lump on the branch. Looks to be more of a nest
than a lump on a log. In the same brush-tree was a ruby-crowned kinglet,
hopefully not harassing the anna's

I would be interested to check back in a few weeks to see if there are any
babies in the nest.
Also of interest were two Red shouldered hawks copulating for several
moments in the park. At home in Talent there were hundreds of Turkey
vultures soaring over head with a large kettle towards Phoenix.

[image: nesting annas 2.jpg] <about:invalid#zClosurez>[image: nesting
annas.jpg] <about:invalid#zClosurez>

Back to top
Date: 3/9/19 1:02 pm
From: Elizabeth <tattypoo2000...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Big Bear Bald Eagle Nest

This is the site for a Bald Eagle nest camera in Big Bear California. The birds have a pretty spectacular view. I have seen only 1 egg so far.

https://friendsofbigbearvalley.org/eagle/
Big Bear Bald Eagle Nest | Friends of Big Bear Valley<https://friendsofbigbearvalley.org/eagle/>
We planned, raised funds, obtained permits and installed a Bald Eagle Nest camera on the first ever active bald eagle nest in Big Bear Valley.
friendsofbigbearvalley.org

[https://ipmcdn.avast.com/images/icons/icon-envelope-tick-green-avg-v1.png]<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail> Virus-free. www.avg.com<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>

Back to top
Date: 3/8/19 10:49 am
From: <ousterhoutgrapes...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Do not open "Jeffrey Tufts" phishing email
In case you received an email purporting to be from “Jeffrey,” there is one going around that pretends to be from him but is actually a Phishing email. Always check the actual “from” link to be sure it’s really from our beloved Jeff.

Especially do not click on the hypertext link!

Here’s what the fake “Jeff” said said:

On Friday, March 08, 2019 10:23 AM, Jeffrey wrot
When I ran into this the other day I though of you. So I just wanted to share it with you [link deleted]

Gretchen Ousterhout Hunter
cell (541) 613-5940

Date: 3/5/19 8:57 am
From: Ken Chamberlain <kjchamberlain74...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Fwd: Listing Results - Proof Sheets

Forwarding for Paul....

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "Paul Sullivan" <paultsullivan...>
> Date: March 5, 2019 at 1:41:47 PM GMT-3
> To: <obol...>, <birding...>, "COBOL" <COBOL...>, <birding-neoregon-group...>
> Cc: "YamhillBirds" <yamhillbirds...>, "'Ken Chamberlain'" <kjchamberlain74...>
> Subject: Listing Results - Proof Sheets
>
> Thank you to the 130 Oregon birders who sent in Listing Results for 2018. In the next few days I will be sending out proof sheets to each of you, showing the numbers I have entered under your name.
>
> Please check this over and let me know of any corrections I need to make before the results are published.
>
> RSVP
>
> Paul T. Sullivan
> <paultsullivan...>

Back to top
Date: 3/5/19 6:40 am
From: Cecile Shohet <cshohet...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Medford Raptor Run, Sunday March 3
Enduring blue skies, brilliant sunshine and occasional cumulus clouds - big
puffs running into more puffs, described the weather for Sunday's Medford
Raptor Run (high 40's to low 50's).

We made it to Campbell Road about an hour later than usual ~ 9:25 AM, and
that, coupled with the clear, fog-free morning, perhaps explained the
missing pair of Peregrine Falcons. Although we scanned the towers multiple
times on entry and departure, the peregrines were likely already
out'n'about scouring the landscape for bounty.

Along the 102 mile route, we tallied:
Red-tailed Hawk 96
American Kestrel 20
Northern Harrier 7, only one male observed on Agate Road near Nick
Young Road
Golden Eagle 5 Adults
Cooper Hawk 2
Peregrine Falcon 1, deceptively light colored
Bald Eagle 1 Adult, sitting on a nest on Highway 234 near
Modoc Road

Our species richness was lower than usual. We veered off route to scan the
golf course on North Phoenix Road for White-tailed Kites, as they have been
reported from there, but found none.

Observers included: Julie Norman, Anne Goff, Jeff Tufts, Cecile Shohet

We'll be back next year!

Back to top
Date: 3/4/19 6:10 am
From: Jeff Tufts <jctufts33...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Three more for the Jackson County list
Three more species are now on the 2019 Jackson County list.

Norm Barrett reported a Western Grebe from Willow Lake (March 2), and
yesterday's reports included Violet-green Swallows from Lower Table Rock
(visiting birder Drew Meyer) and Agate Lake (Raptor Run crew), and a
Mountain Bluebird from the Mt. Ashland Kingdom of Violet (Frank
Losapalluto).

Updates lists are attached.

Back to top
Date: 3/3/19 4:21 pm
From: <vzauskey...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Rough-legged Hawks, Imperatrice Property, 3/3/19
Was on the Imperatrice Property from 2:20-3:30PM today and had two
Rough-legged Hawks together at the beginning of the trail, then saw one
bird most of the walk hunting above the hillside. One male Harrier, 2
Red-tailed Hawks and a female Kestrel also in the vicinity. Nice to be on
the property with mild temperature, blue sky, white-puffy-clouds and
snowcapped Grizzly Peak in the distance.

Back to top
Date: 3/3/19 9:43 am
From: <dpvroman...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Jo Co 1st Rufous Hummer
This morning, 1st of year male Rufous Hummingbird seen at feeder; wife
thought she saw one yesterday, but wasn't sure.

A Black-throated Gary Warbler seen yesterday along the Rogue River (out
Lower River Road).

Dennis (north of Grants Pass)

Back to top
Date: 3/3/19 4:57 am
From: Jeff Tufts <jctufts33...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Seventeen day species "drought" ends
The Jackson County 2019 species count was stalled for 17 days, but the
Rufous Hummingbird reported by Maggi Rackley and the Redhead spotted by
Peter and Linda Kreisman yesterday ended the drought and bumped the list up
to 165 species.

It was not a surprise that no new birds were seen for more than two weeks,
as this is traditionally a slow time of year for new arrivals or minor
rarities.

The Rufous Hummingbird could certainly be labelled "expected," as they have
been reported as far north as Washington in the past few days.

Redhead is always a pleasant surprise in Jackson County. They breed on the
other side of the Cascades--the Shoalwater Bay portion of Upper Klamath
Lake is a favored spot--but only scattered individuals show up in our
area. EBird records show only one Redhead report for the month of March.
Two males were seen at Valley of the Rogue State Park in 2017.

So, what's next for the 2019 list. Violet-green Swallows figure to show up
soon. Or it could be a Western Grebe. Or Osprey. Or Common Loon.

Stay tuned.

Updates lists in Excel and PDF format are attached.

Back to top
Date: 3/2/19 11:36 am
From: 'Linda Kreisman' via Rogue Valley Birds <rv-birds...>
Subject: [RV Birds] FW: Redhead duck
Peter and I saw the Redhead in the attached photo on a private pond off of East Emigrant Creek Road this morning. Linda

Date: 3/2/19 10:31 am
From: maggi rackley <imamaggi2...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Rufous up the creek
The first rufous hummingbird appeared this morning at our feeders on
Sardine Creek just like clockwork.

Back to top
Date: 3/1/19 4:46 pm
From: <barrymckenzie...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Agate Lake Burrowing Owl still present 3/1/19
RV Birds-
The Burrowing Owl at Agate Lake has survived the recent winter weather.
It was seen this afternoon at approx 2pm by Terry Crawford (?) and myself
in the same general area it has been reported earlier (NE Corner of Agate
Lake on the flats).
It flew between the boulders of the dam and an apparent burrow on the flats
(it flushed up from 15' when I strolled up). Inspection of the spot it came
up from revealed a burrow guarded by a dead vole/mouse.
It did not shelter under the old floating dock while we were there.

Other birds seen as well; most notably a flock of 30+ Horned Larks (they've
been there a while now) and a high fly-over of 35 Sandhill Cranes (bookin'
it north).

Barry McKenzie
Ashland

Back to top
Date: 3/1/19 10:52 am
From: Alex Lamoreaux <aslamoreaux...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Golden Eagles over Ashland
10:50am and there are currently a minimum of 4 Golden Eagles soaring over
downtown Ashland, drifting towards the southwest. Mixed ages.

Alex
--
Alex Lamoreaux
717-943-7086

Back to top
Date: 2/28/19 10:32 am
From: Jeffrey Tufts <jctufts33...>
Subject: Re: [RV Birds] So what do you do if you are a birdaholic and it's freezing out?
Primitive Social Darwinism with a strong dose of Chaos Theory thrown in

On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 10:19 AM Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...>
wrote:

> The choices of freeze or no birding aren't very good, so I've been reading
> OBOL and RVAS forums, processing my photos, and watching birds at my
> feeders and out the windows... and I've been thinking about the hierarchy
> of the feeder cue lines, you know, how the birds line up to have their turn
> at the feeders. Who goes first? Who gets displaced? How long does that cute
> little junco have to wait for the nasty starling to leave? Who's in charge
> of watching for the marauding accipiter? Well, it looks to me like the
> bigger the bird, and especially the longer the bill, the higher they are on
> the cue list. So, for my feeders, it seems like the flicker wins... who
> wants to mess with that beak? Next would be the Acorn Woodpecker. And then
> the starling and jays are close... fortunately, the starlings seem to be
> the most fearful-of-humans and are the first to leave when there is a
> perceived threat (maybe they know how much birders dislike them?). I also
> find it interesting which birds are the tamest and which the most nervous.
> Most of them seem to be pretty tame (or they recognize my face as the one
> who refills the feeders) except for the starling (that's good). The tamest
> award goes to the Downy Woodpecker... they are almost eating the suet
> before I can get it back on the hanger. Anyone else have some feeder
> observations to keep us un-bored and birding until the weather improves?
> Unless I want to put on my snowshoes, it looks like it will be a while for
> me to find a Great Gray Owl for this year's list and the ultimate bird-fix.
>
> --
> --

Back to top

Date: 2/26/19 1:46 am
From: Ken Chamberlain <kjchamberlain...>
Subject: [RV Birds] Fwd: Last call for Listing Results

> [...]

> ______ Gilliam Life List
> ______ Grant Life List
> ______ Harney Life List
> ______ Hood River Life List
> ______ Jackson Life List
> ______ Jefferson Life List
> ______ Josephine Life List
> ______ Klamath Life List
> ______ Lake Life List
> ______ Lane Life List
> ______ Lincoln Life List
> ______ Linn Life List
> ______ Malheur Life List
> ______ Marion Life List
> ______ Morrow Life List
> ______ Multnomah Life List
> ______ Polk Life List
> ______ Sherman Life List
> ______ Tillamook Life List
> ______ Umatilla Life List
> ______ Union Life List
> ______ Wallowa Life List
> ______ Wasco Life List
> ______ Washington Life List
> ______ Wheeler Life List
> ______ Yamhill Life List
>
> 2018 Year Lists
>
> ______ Baker 2018 list
> ______ Benton 2018 list
> ______ Clackamas 2018 list
> ______ Clatsop 2018 list
> ______ Columbia 2018 list
> ______ Coos 2018 list
> ______ Crook 2018 list
> ______ Curry 2018 list
> ______ Deschutes 2018 list
> ______ Douglas 2018 list
> ______ Gilliam 2018 list
> ______ Grant 2018 list
> ______ Harney 2018 list
> ______ Hood River 2018 list
> ______ Jackson 2018 list
> ______ Jefferson 2018 list
> ______ Josephine 2018 list
> ______ Klamath 2018 list
> ______ Lake 2018 list
> ______ Lane 2018 list
> ______ Lincoln 2018 list
> ______ Linn 2018 list
> ______ Malheur 2018 list
> ______ Marion 2018 list
> ______ Morrow 2018 list
> ______ Multnomah 2018 list
> ______ Polk 2018 list
> ______ Sherman 2018 list
> ______ Tillamook 2018 list
> ______ Umatilla 2018 list
> ______ Union 2018 list
> ______ Wallowa 2018 list
> ______ Wasco 2018 list
> ______ Washington 2018 list
> ______ Wheeler 2018 list
> ______ Yamhill 2018 list
>
> 3. Local areas listing
> Local 15-mile diameter Circle Counts (describe your circle) ______________
> (Sample descriptions: Clatsop County, from Saddle Mtn. to Haystack Rock at Cannon Beach
> Lane County, Eugene CBC circle)
>
> ______ your circle life list
> ______ your circle 2018 list
>

> Your favorite Wildlife Refuge Life List (name the refuge)
>
> ______ Refuge #1 ______________
> ______ Refuge #2 ______________
>
> Your favorite birding spot Life List (name the spot)
>
> ______ Spot #1 ______________
> ______ Spot #2 ______________
>
> Your yard Life Lists (name nearest city)

Back to top
Date: 2/24/19 12:15 pm
From: Janet Kelly <chamkell...>
Subject: Re: [RV Birds] Mingus Pond Birding Hotspot Re-named on eBird
Thanks Jeff and congratulations on your new position!

Janet Kelly
Medford

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 24, 2019, at 11:17 AM, Jeff Tufts <jctufts33...><mailto:<jctufts33...>> wrote:

Mingus Pond has been a Birding Hotspot on eBird for several years, and it has recently been re-named "Bear Creek Greenway--Mingus Pond". on the list of Jackson County eBird Hotspots. This will establish additional uniformity in the naming of locations directly associated with the Greenway.

There is also a Birding Hotspot named "Bear Creek Greenway--Central Point". This location can be used for reporting birds seen while walking to and from Mingus Pond by those birders starting from the Pine Street area of Central Point.

Please remember that if you bird a location that involves walking (or driving) from Point A to Point B and then back to Point A via the same route, only the one-way mileage should be entered in the "Distance" category on the checklist.

Jeff Tufts
eBird reviewer for Jackson and Josephine counties

Back to top