Cayugabirds-L
Received From Subject
8/22/19 7:22 pm Bill Evans <wrevans...> [cayugabirds-l] Nocturnal flight calls @ Mt. P Friday night
8/21/19 5:14 am Dave K <fishwatchers...> [cayugabirds-l] Snowy Egret Knox Marcellus
8/19/19 12:28 pm Jody Enck <jodyenck...> Re: [cayugabirds-l] bird ID help
8/19/19 12:21 pm Carol Keeler <carolk441...> [cayugabirds-l] bird ID help
8/19/19 11:49 am France <birdbum...> [cayugabirds-l] BC Night-heron Fall Creek
8/19/19 9:07 am Joseph Brin <brinjoseph...> [cayugabirds-l] Syracuse area RBA
8/18/19 1:03 pm <metetlow...> [cayugabirds-l] MZ Pelican, Turnstone, Stilt Sandpiper
8/18/19 9:22 am Dave Nutter <nutter.dave...> [cayugabirds-l] Report: 17 August Knox-Marsellus shorebird walk
8/18/19 5:15 am Dave K <fishwatchers...> [cayugabirds-l] AW Pelican Knox Marcellus
8/18/19 5:01 am Dave K <fishwatchers...> [cayugabirds-l] Ruddy Turnstone Eagle platform
8/16/19 4:14 pm Dave Nutter <nutter.dave...> [cayugabirds-l] Shorebird walk tomorrow (Sat 17) morning, Montezuma NWR
8/16/19 12:13 pm <khmo...> Re: [cayugabirds-l] Kestrels, Mt. Pleasant
8/16/19 7:25 am Eveline V. Ferretti <ef15...> [cayugabirds-l] Kestrels, Mt. Pleasant
8/15/19 7:14 am David Nicosia <daven102468...> [cayugabirds-l] Major Diurnal Migration in the South Central U.S again
8/14/19 12:37 pm Dave Nutter <nutter.dave...> [cayugabirds-l] Montezuma shorebirds - check K-M this afternoon/evening
8/14/19 7:46 am Kenneth V. Rosenberg <kvr2...> Re: [cayugabirds-l] [nysbirds-l] Diurnal Migration on This Morning's Radar
8/14/19 7:35 am David Nicosia <daven102468...> Re:[cayugabirds-l] [nysbirds-l] Diurnal Migration on This Morning's Radar
8/12/19 9:15 am Joseph Brin <brinjoseph...> [cayugabirds-l] Syracuse area RBA
8/12/19 8:25 am Jared Dawson <jaredwdawson...> [cayugabirds-l] Red-headed Woodpecker family, photos of juveniles
8/11/19 12:48 pm Dave Nutter <nutter.dave...> [cayugabirds-l] Montezuma NWR shorebird walk Saturday 17 August
8/10/19 11:02 am Johnson, Alyssa <ajohnson...> Re:[cayugabirds-l] Dead Eagle
8/10/19 5:45 am Joshua Bacon <bacon.joshua...> [cayugabirds-l] Dead eagle @ Crane Unit
8/10/19 4:54 am Dave K <fishwatchers...> [cayugabirds-l] Dead Eagle
8/9/19 5:30 pm Ann Mitchell <annmitchell13...> [cayugabirds-l] Shorebirds in Montezuma
8/9/19 8:56 am Judith Thurber <jathurber...> Re: [cayugabirds-l] Cool morning feeder birds
8/9/19 6:56 am Donna Lee Scott <dls9...> [cayugabirds-l] Cool morning feeder birds
8/7/19 7:11 am Johnson, Alyssa <ajohnson...> [cayugabirds-l] Montezuma Moth Night and other events!
8/7/19 6:21 am Marc Devokaitis <mdevokaitis...> Re: [cayugabirds-l] confirmation of RED-HEADED WOODPECKER breeding
8/6/19 3:51 pm Jared Dawson <jaredwdawson...> [cayugabirds-l] confirmation of RED-HEADED WOODPECKER breeding
8/5/19 12:49 pm Joseph Brin <brinjoseph...> [cayugabirds-l] Syracuse RBA
8/2/19 5:56 pm Jody Enck <jodyenck...> [cayugabirds-l] Bird Behavior
8/1/19 6:30 am Maryfaith Miller <merrymilkmama...> Re: [cayugabirds-l] Swallows eating mushrooms
8/1/19 6:28 am AB Clark <anneb.clark...> Re: [cayugabirds-l] Swallows eating mushrooms
8/1/19 6:25 am Johnson, Alyssa <ajohnson...> [cayugabirds-l] Swallows eating mushrooms
7/29/19 1:36 pm Joseph Brin <brinjoseph...> [cayugabirds-l] Syracuse RBA
7/29/19 11:50 am Jody Enck <jodyenck...> Re: [cayugabirds-l] Empid ID help
7/29/19 8:13 am Jody Enck <jodyenck...> [cayugabirds-l] Empid ID help
7/29/19 8:08 am bob mcguire <bmcguire...> Re: [cayugabirds-l] Woodcock and waterthrush...interesting yard birds!
7/29/19 6:25 am Marie P. Read <mpr5...> [cayugabirds-l] Woodcock and waterthrush...interesting yard birds!
7/29/19 5:30 am Asher Hockett <veery715...> [cayugabirds-l] Yellow warbler downtown
7/28/19 6:33 pm AB Clark <anneb.clark...> [cayugabirds-l] Great Egret--Hile School Rd wetland pm 28Jul19
7/27/19 8:31 am Suan Hsi Yong <suan.yong...> [cayugabirds-l] More Merlin Videos
7/27/19 5:44 am Linda Ziemba <linda_ziemba...> Re: [EXTERNAL] [cayugabirds-l] Montezuma Wildlife Drive and East Rd Today 7/26/19
7/26/19 1:27 pm David Nicosia <daven102468...> [cayugabirds-l] Montezuma Wildlife Drive and East Rd Today 7/26/19
7/25/19 8:47 pm Donna Lee Scott <dls9...> [cayugabirds-l] Mergs on float
7/25/19 5:16 pm Donna Lee Scott <dls9...> RE: [cayugabirds-l] Salt Pt Baltimore and Orchard Orioles
7/25/19 4:41 pm Carol Keeler <carolk441...> Re: [cayugabirds-l] Salt Pt Baltimore and Orchard Orioles
7/25/19 3:21 pm Magnus Fiskesjo <magnus.fiskesjo...> RE: [cayugabirds-l] Salt Pt Baltimore and Orchard Orioles
7/25/19 3:11 pm Judith Thurber <jathurber...> Re: [cayugabirds-l] Salt Pt Baltimore and Orchard Orioles
7/25/19 3:04 pm Donna Lee Scott <dls9...> Re: [cayugabirds-l] Salt Pt Baltimore and Orchard Orioles
7/25/19 2:48 pm Marie P. Read <mpr5...> [cayugabirds-l] Salt Pt Baltimore and Orchard Orioles
7/25/19 7:57 am Suan Hsi Yong <suan.yong...> Re: [cayugabirds-l] Merlin nest GIAC
7/25/19 4:21 am John Confer <confer...> Re: [cayugabirds-l] Merlin nest GIAC
7/23/19 4:57 pm Suan Hsi Yong <suan.yong...> Re: [cayugabirds-l] Merlin nest GIAC

Back to top
Date: 8/22/19 7:22 pm
From: Bill Evans <wrevans...>
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Nocturnal flight calls @ Mt. P Friday night
Greetings birders,
There will be public night flight call listening session tomorrow night (Friday) near the Hartung-Boothroyd Observatory atop Mount Pleasant Rd., a few miles east of Ithaca from 8:30pm to 11pm or later.

The forecast is for a clear sky with north wind 5-10 mph. Birds will be high but we’ll have microphones and other tools to help tune in.

I expect a steady flight of Bobolink & Veery, as well as lots & lots of warblers. Based on this time in past years, 30% of the warbler calls will be about equally from American Redstart, Chestnut-sided Warbler, and Ovenbird. 20% (1 in 5) will be what are often referred to as “zeeps”, short modulated (slightly buzzy) calls from a complex of species very difficult to distinguish by ear (mostly likely tomorrow night are Magnolia & Blackburnian, but also Yellow, Blackpoll and maybe even Cerulean). Less common will be the distinctive night flight call of Canada Warbler (~ 1 out of every 30 warbler calls) and the more difficult but still distinctive Mourning Warbler (~1 out of every 50 warbler calls). You can hear these calls online at: http://oldbird.org/pubs/fcmb/species/warblers/warblers.htm

There will be many of other species in the mix tomorrow night and maybe the first Tompkins County record of Upland Sandpiper in more than a year.

We usually have this listening session in September, but tomorrow night is really looking good, with shades of once in a lifetime, and of course it’s a Friday night!

More info posted tomorrow.

Bill Evans

ARCHIVES:

http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Back to top
Date: 8/21/19 5:14 am
From: Dave K <fishwatchers...>
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Snowy Egret Knox Marcellus
Flew in to the small 'pond' below the parking lot 8 this am

Date: 8/19/19 12:28 pm
From: Jody Enck <jodyenck...>
Subject: Re: [cayugabirds-l] bird ID help
Hi Carol,
Its a great picture! And, your description of it holding its tail up was a
good field mark. Check out the Gnatcatcher page in your field guide.

Jody

Jody W. Enck, PhD
Conservation Social Scientist, and
Founder of the Sister Bird Club Network
607-379-5940

Date: 8/19/19 11:49 am
From: France <birdbum...>
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] BC Night-heron Fall Creek
There is currently a juv Black-crowned night heron perched in a tree above
fall Creek next to the bridge by the high school

France

Date: 8/19/19 9:07 am
From: Joseph Brin <brinjoseph...>
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Syracuse area RBA

RBA

*New York

August 19, 2019

NYSY 08. 19. 19

Hotline: Syracuse Area Rare Bird Alert

To report by email: brinjoseph AT yahoo DOT com

Reporting upstate counties: Onondaga, Oswego, Madison, Oneida, Herkimer, Cayuga,

Montezuma Wildlife Refuge and Montezuma Wetlands Complex

Compiled: August 19 at 11:00 a.m.

Compiler: Joseph Brin

Onondaga Audubon Homepage: www.onondagaaudubon.org

Greetings: This is the Syracuse Area Rare Bird Alert for the week of August 12, 2019

Highlights:

--------------

AMERICAN WHITE PELICAN

BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON

CANVASBACK

BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER

WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPER

STILT SANDPIPER

LAUGHING GULL

RED-HEADED WOODPECKER

ACADIAN FLYCATCHER

YELLOW-BELLIED FLYCATCHER

GOLDEN-WINGED WARBLER

ORCHARD ORIOLE

Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge (MNWR) and Montezuma Wetlands Complex (MWC)

------------

     Shorebirds reported at the complex this week.

     LEAST SANDPIPER

     SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER

     LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER

     SOLITARY SANDPIPER

     GREATER YELLOWLEGS

     LESSER YELLOWLEGS

     STILT SANDPIPER

     SPOTTED SANDPIPER

     KILLDEER

     SEMIPALMATED PLOVER

     BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER

     SEMI-PALMATED SANDPIPER

     WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPER

     RUDDY TURNSTONE

     PECTORAL SANDPIPER

     WILSON’S PHALAROPE

     WILSON’S SNIPE

     8/16: An AMERICAN WHITE PELICAN and a hatch year LAUGHING GULL were found at Knox-Marsellus Marsh. Both were seen through yesterday although the Pelican moved to VanDyne Spoor Road in the Afternoon.

     8/17: A CANVASBACK continues in Knox-Marsellus Marsh. A STILT SANDPIPER was seen at Mays Point Pool.

     8/18: 11 species of shorebirds including BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER and WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPER were seen at Knox-Marsellus Marsh. A RUDDY TURNSTONE was seen at the big metal Eagle along the Wildlife Drive.

Onondaga County

------------

     8/12: 2 COMMON LOONS and 19 COMMON GALLINULES, young and adult, were seen on Onondaga Lake from the West Shore Trail.

     8/17: An immature BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON was seen on the Onondaga Creek creek walk north of Hiawatha Boulevard in Syracuse.

      8/18: A GOLDEN-WINGED WARBLER was seen on Bardeen Road in Fabius.

      8/19: An ACADIAN FLYCATCHER, possibly a young bird, was heard in Whiskey Hollow west of Baldwinsville.

Oswego County

------------

     8/17: A YELLOW-BELLIED FLYCATCHER was seen at a private residence in Hastings. An ORCHARD ORIOLE was seen on Sage Creek Drive near Derby Hill.

     8/18: 2 RED-HEADED WOODPECKERS were seen at Derby Hill Bird Observatory on Lake Ontario.

Oneida County

------------

     8/15: 3 RED-HEADED WOODPECKERS, 2 adults and a juvenile,  were found at Verona Beach State Park near the camp store.

---- End Transcript

----

Joseph Brin

Region 5

Baldwinsville,  NY,  13027,  USA

Date: 8/18/19 1:03 pm
From: <metetlow...>
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] MZ Pelican, Turnstone, Stilt Sandpiper
Dave K’s Ruddy Turnstone is still right in front of the Eagle sculpture, Dave N’s Stilt Sandpiper is still at Mays Point with many Yellowlegs. Thanks to Jeremy we are looking at the Pelican at the end of VanDyne spoor Road instead of thinking we’re blind at Knox Marcellus. Brief look at Knox before torrential rain has a dozen Sandhill Cranes. Beware a very dark brown juvenile Herring Gull when looking for the laughing Gull. Mike and a Joann Tetlow

Sent from my iPhone

Date: 8/18/19 9:22 am
From: Dave Nutter <nutter.dave...>
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Report: 17 August Knox-Marsellus shorebird walk
First, thank-you to the Montezuma NWR, particularly Visitor Services Manager Andrea Van Beusichem and Biologist Linda Ziemba, for allowing this series of walks onto the dikes at Knox-Marsellus Marsh, where the public is usually prohibited.

Second, a big thank-you for the great work of co-leader Bob McGuire, without whom I would not have agreed to lead. Similar thanks to Josh Snodgrass and also to the several other experienced, scope-wielding birders whose help we requested, including Dominic Sherony, Mahlon Hurst, and Reuben Stoltzfus, to help find, point-out, show, and explain the ID of the shorebirds.

Third, thanks to the approximately seventy people who joined us. Clearly there is great interest in seeing and learning about the many birds which Montezuma NWR in general and Knox-Marsellus Marsh in particular harbors in summer. I am really glad we could offer a couple of Saturday trips which can accommodate members of the strong Amish and Mennonite birding communities in our area.

The weather was good: there were some clouds to reduce glare, but the rain held off, and the temperature was comfortable even though humidity was high. Creating and maintaining freshwater shorebird habitat is a challenge, and the previous night’s rainstorm reportedly reduced the mudflats significantly. The birds, though often distant, were numerous, varied, and active, and they provided pleasure, excitement, and challenge. Participants seemed happy. Below is a bird list I have compiled based on several reports. There may be omissions, as it was impossible to be with, to stay in communication with, or to interview everyone, so please let me know if you were on the trip and found additional species.

There are still 3 shorebird walks scheduled of which I am aware, all officially starting at 7am at the Montezuma NWR Visitor Center:

Sunday 25 August, principal leader Dave Nicosia
Saturday 31 August, principal leader Josh Snodgrass
Sunday 8 September, principal leader Dave Nicosia

These guided walks are free and open to the public, and I am certain that people willing to share expertise and scope views will be especially helpful to the official leaders. There are still a few more species of shorebirds whose arrival we await.

- - Dave Nutter

Species observed on K-M walk 17 Aug 2019 - composite list
Ducks were all in eclipse, female, or immature plumage

Canada Goose - 100+ flew in from E
Trumpeter Swan - adult pair
Wood Duck - several
Blue-winged Teal
Gadwall
American Wigeon
Mallard - many
American Black Duck
Northern Pintail
Green-winged Teal

CANVASBACK - rare, 1 male, continuing from last week and before
Ruddy Duck - 1 male
Pied-billed Grebe - many, mostly striped-faced immatures, minus 1
Mourning Dove
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Common Gallinule - several, mostly immatures
American Coot
Sandhill Crane - adult pair + fly-in adult pair with large juvenile

BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER - transition plumage
SEMIPALMATED PLOVER - several, mainly on distant mud in vegetation
KILLDEER - flocks of 8 & 20 flew W as we arrived, several remained
RUDDY TURNSTONE - 1 K-M flyby, 1 later in Eaton pond
STILT SANDPIPER - 1 juvenile later at Mays Pt Pool, seen by at least 9 people who had been on the K-M walk
LEAST SANDPIPER - often on distant mud in vegetation
WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPER - 2 or more on distant mud in vegetation, found by Reuben Stoltzfus, seen by several others
PECTORAL SANDPIPER
SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER - greatly outnumbered by Leasts
SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER - 15 juveniles. Distant, difficult to discern plumage details. When feeding, only flat backs were seen. Several showed orange in tertials and some of those showed barring. Color, shape, & size of grouped birds seemed uniform. Some singles & small groups were not identified to species. Although Tim Lenz, viewing from East Road before our walk, reported several LONG-BILLED Dowitchers, I am unaware of any positive ID of that species by our group from the road or the dikes.
WILSON’S SNIPE
WILSON’S PHALAROPE - 1 pale juvenile near NE corners, swimming and pecking at surface algae
SPOTTED SANDPIPER
SOLITARY SANDPIPER - near SPOTTED SANDPIPER and both YELLOWLEGS
GREATER YELLOWLEGS - several
LESSER YELLOWLEGS - several

Ring-billed Gull - many adults, some juveniles
Herring Gull - 1 uniformly dark juvenile, larger than Ring-billed Gulls and Caspian Terns. We did not see the juvenile Laughing Gull which was reported the previous evening and the following morning.
Caspian Tern - many adults, some juveniles

BLACK TERN - 2 non-breeding plumage adults flying and perched

Double-crested Cormorant

AMERICAN WHITE PELICAN - 1 summer adult continuing from last evening

American Bittern - 1
Great Blue Heron - many

GREAT EGRET - 100+

Green Heron
Black-crowned Night-Heron - several, mostly flying over Puddler or perched in trees along Puddler dikes
Osprey
Northern Harrier
Cooper’s Hawk
Bald Eagle - adult

BROAD-WINGED HAWK - 1 juvenile high flyover

Downy Woodpecker - 1

MERLIN - feeding atop pole on East Rd as we left

PEREGRINE FALCON - 1 juvenile made multiple low passes over K-M early on. As we were leaving, the apparent same Peregrine for several minutes dove many, many times at an isolated stripe-faced immature Pied-billed Grebe on the water in the north channel. Each swoop of the Peregrine caused the grebe to quickly flinch, duck, dodge, freeze, or submerge at the last moment, an amazingly quick and effective judgement and action. During this long period no contact was made, and it seemed that perhaps the Peregrine was holding back, either due to its own youthful limited skills, or to avoid all risk of injury to itself, or to tire out its naive and confused prey. Although the grebe spent several seconds underwater a couple times and moved a few feet, it did not particularly swim toward a group of similar grebes 20 yards away, which I think might have improved its odds. Certainly flying away from an adept falcon would have been a poor option for a gangly grebe, assuming it was mature enough to fly. Eventually the Peregrine struck the grebe several times in succession, progressively injuring, maiming, and killing it, before finally grabbing the inert body from the surface and flying north over the woods. Peregrines are celebrated for their ability to grab and quickly kill a bird in flight by biting its neck, or to stoop at high speed to kill with a mid-air raking or impact of talons, then catch the carcass before it reaches the ground. But the only other Peregrine kill I have witnessed was like this, a series of harrying passes which eventually led to injury, and that time the falcon actually dispatched its prey, a Willet, by drowning it. It’s gruesome, but predators gotta eat, too.

Willow Flycatcher - 1 silent Traill’s Empidonax in a Willow on dike
Eastern Phoebe
Eastern Kingbird
Blue Jay
American Crow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Purple Martin
Tree Swallow
Bank Swallow
Barn Swallow - most swallows; other swallows reported mainly singles Marsh Wren
American Robin
Gray Catbird
European Starling
Cedar Waxwing
American Goldfinch
Song Sparrow - singing
Swamp Sparrow - singing
Bobolink
Orchard Oriole
Red-winged Blackbird - a few at K-M, hundreds in cornfield to W
Common Yellowthroat - several
Yellow Warbler - several

PINE WARBLER - seen by several and photographed

Northern Cardinal

Date: 8/18/19 5:15 am
From: Dave K <fishwatchers...>
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] AW Pelican Knox Marcellus
Wading mid-pool 8:10this AM

Date: 8/18/19 5:01 am
From: Dave K <fishwatchers...>
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Ruddy Turnstone Eagle platform
A Ruddy Turnstone, White-rumped SP, and others in front of the Eagle platform,MNWR wildlife drive 8:00 this AM

Date: 8/16/19 4:14 pm
From: Dave Nutter <nutter.dave...>
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Shorebird walk tomorrow (Sat 17) morning, Montezuma NWR
Meet at 7am at the Montezuma NWR Visitor Center (on NYS-5/US-20 east of Seneca Fall between NYS-89 & NYS-90) or meet us on East Road at the overlook around 7:20am after we caravan over there. As a group led by Bob McGuire and myself, we will walk down onto the dike surrounding Knox-Marsellus Marsh, an activity which is normally prohibited, in order to look for migrant shorebirds. Bring binoculars, and if you have a scope, bring that too. It should be a good opportunity to share sightings and learn. No fee.

Last weekend with Dave Nicosia we had good looks at 11 shorebird species, and since then at least 3 more species have been reported at Montezuma and a couple more elsewhere Upstate. There are plenty of other interesting birds at K-M, too. For instance, we saw all 6 heron species regularly found here. And about an hour ago David Wheeler reported an American White Pelican and a juvenile Laughing Gull. Let’s hope they stay.

- - Dave Nutter

Date: 8/16/19 12:13 pm
From: <khmo...>
Subject: Re: [cayugabirds-l] Kestrels, Mt. Pleasant
American Kestrel migration is in progress. There is anecdotal
information that they coincide with dragonfly migration, especially the
Common Green Darner and Black Saddlebags ( Anax junius and Tramea
lacerate; other species migrate as well). With kestrels, not all migrate
but they do disperse. The females will begin settling into winter
hunting territories which are quite a bit larger and less popular than
those the males end up with. By this time young should have moved on.

---
John and Sue Gregoire
Field Ornithologists
Kestrel Haven Migration Observatory
5373 Fitzgerald Rd
Burdett, NY 14818
42.443508000, -76.758202000
"Create and Conserve Habitat"
On 2019-08-16 14:25, Eveline V. Ferretti wrote:

> A group of 4 or so kestrels busy hunting seen this morning along Mt. Pleasant Rd (close to the Midline end of Mt. Pleasant). Maybe a pair with fledglings? Their hover flight lovely to watch in any case.
>
> Eveline Ferretti
> Public Programs & Communication Administrator
> Mann Library / Cornell University Library
> <EF15...>
> 607-254-4993
> --
> Welcome and Basics [1]
> Rules and Information [2]
> Subscribe, Configuration and Leave [3]
> ARCHIVES:
> The Mail Archive [4]
> Surfbirds [5]
> BirdingOnThe.Net [6]
> PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR OBSERVATIONS TO EBIRD [7]!
> --

Links:
------
[1] http://www.northeastbirding.com/CayugabirdsWELCOME
[2] http://www.northeastbirding.com/CayugabirdsRULES
[3]
http://www.northeastbirding.com/CayugabirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm
[4] http://www.mail-archive.com/<cayugabirds-l...>/maillist.html
[5] http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/Cayugabirds
[7] http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

Date: 8/15/19 7:14 am
From: David Nicosia <daven102468...>
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Major Diurnal Migration in the South Central U.S again
All,

I wonder what is moving and how common this is. I will have to look at some
archive data but I bet this is a normal occurrence. I wonder what types of
birds: swallows, swifts, nighthawks, icterids, waterfowl, cranes....???

see https://radar.weather.gov/ridge/Conus/full_lite_loop.php

Dave Nicosia

Date: 8/14/19 12:37 pm
From: Dave Nutter <nutter.dave...>
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Montezuma shorebirds - check K-M this afternoon/evening
I got a call early this afternoon from Reuben Stoltzfus. He saw a couple of Ruddy Turnstones at Benning on the Wildlife Drive. More intriguing is that he saw several large Calidris type sandpipers (Ruff? Knot?) at Knox-Marsellus which he was unable to ID due to severe mid-day heat shimmer. The light conditions should improve as the sun gets lower in the west late this afternoon, and if someone is there with a scope, they might find something unusual. These birds may move on with tonight’s north winds, so I hope someone has a chance to look today.

Also a reminder, meet at 7am Saturday at the Montezuma NWR Visitor Center or shortly after at the overlook on East Rd and we can walk down to K-M for better views. More species have been reported to our north and they should be arriving here, too.

Date: 8/14/19 7:46 am
From: Kenneth V. Rosenberg <kvr2...>
Subject: Re: [cayugabirds-l] [nysbirds-l] Diurnal Migration on This Morning's Radar
It would be great to know if diurnal migration of aerial insectivores can be reliably tracked – not just at the roosts.

I had quite a few Bobolinks over the house mid-morning today (flight calls) – could also be making up part of the diurnal movement.

KEN

Ken Rosenberg
Applied Conservation Scientist
Cornell Lab of Ornithology
American Bird Conservancy
<Kvr2...><mailto:<Kvr2...>
Wk: 607-254-2412
Cell: 607-342-4594

From: <bounce-123821772-3493957...> on behalf of David Nicosia <daven102468...>
Date: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 at 10:36 AM
To: Peter Reisfeld <DrPinky...>
Cc: NYSBIRDS-L <NYSBIRDS-L...>, CAYUGABIRDS-L <CAYUGABIRDS-L...>, BroomeBirds <broomebirds...>

If you look at the national radar loop there is massive diurnal migration going on from the central and southern Plains to the deep south. It is impressive. Echoes are especially heavy in the central Plains and mid Mississippi Valley. see: https://radar.weather.gov/ridge/Conus/full_lite_loop.php

On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 10:24 AM Peter Reisfeld <DrPinky...><mailto:<DrPinky...>> wrote:
Looking at the loop from last night, the reflectivities just about totally petered out at 6 AM, but then picked up again. That would seem to favor diurnal migration rather than a continuation of that from overnight.

Peter

On Aug 14, 2019, at 10:05 AM, David Nicosia <daven102468...><mailto:<daven102468...>> wrote:

The radar imagery from NWS Binghamton continues to show what looks to be bird migration well after sunrise. As of this writing it is 1000 am and we are still picking up biological targets. Since the lower atmosphere's thermals haven't begun, it is likely these targets are not insects. Could this be shorebird migration continuing past sunrise? Or maybe songbirds just continuing from the night? I wish I didn't have to work today...

Archives:
The Mail Archive<http://www.mail-archive.com/<nysbirds-l...>/maillist.html>
Surfbirds<http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L>
ABA<http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01>

Date: 8/14/19 7:35 am
From: David Nicosia <daven102468...>

Date: 8/12/19 9:15 am
From: Joseph Brin <brinjoseph...>

RBA

*New York

August 12 2019

NYSY 08. 12. 19

Hotline: Syracuse Area Rare Bird Alert

To report by email: brinjoseph AT yahoo DOT com

Reporting upstate counties: Onondaga, Oswego, Madison, Oneida, Herkimer, Cayuga,

Montezuma Wildlife Refuge and Montezuma Wetlands Complex

Compiled: August 12 at 11:00 a.m.

Compiler: Joseph Brin

Onondaga Audubon Homepage: www.onondagaaudubon.org

Greetings: This is the Syracuse Area Rare Bird Alert for the week of August 05, 2019

Highlights:

--------------

BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON

CANVASBACK

SANDHILL CRANE

BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER

WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPER

STILT SANDPIPER

LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER

SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER

STILT SANDPIPER

SANDERLING

ACADIAN FLYCATCHER

RED-HEADED WOODPECKER

SEDGE WREN

ORCHARD ORIOLE

Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge (MNWR) and Montezuma Wetlands Complex (MWC)

------------

     Shorebirds reported at the complex this week.

     KILLDEER

     SEMI-PALMATED PLOVER

     BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER

     LEAST SANDPIPER

     SEMI-PALMATED SANDPIPER

     SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER

     LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER

     SPOTTED SANDPIPER

     GREATER YELLOWLEGS

     LESSER YELLOWLEGS

     STILT SANDPIPER

     WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPER

     PECTORAL SANDPIPER

     WILSON’S SNIPE

     A male CANVASBACK continues at Knox-Marsellus Pool.

     8/5: A WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPER was seen from VanDyne Spoor Road.

     8/7: One SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER and 2 LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS were seen along the Wildlife Drive.

     8/9: 2 SANDHILL CRANES were seen at Howland Island.

     8/10: An ORCHARD ORIOLE was seen along the Wildlife Drive. 2 BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS were seen at Knox-Marsellus Pool.

     8/11: On a shorebird walk at Knox-Marsellus and Puddler’s Pools 11 species of Shorebirds plus one unidentified Dowitcher were seen. 7 WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPERS were seen. Also 10 SANDHILL CRANES were found.

Cayuga County

------------

     8/9: A SANDERLING was seen at West Barrier Bar Park in Fair Haven.

Onondaga County

------------

     8/6: 2 SEDGE WRENS were found at Three Rivers WMA north of Baldwinsville. After being reported for a number of weeks this was the last positive report.

     8/9: An ACADIAN FLYCATCHER continues at Whiskey Hollow west of Baldwinsville.

Oswego County

------------

     8/11: An adult RED-HEASED WOODPECKER was found at the inlet to Sandy Island State Park. It was relocated on the 12th. 6 SANDERLINGS were also seen.

Madison County

------------

     8/6: 5 Shorebird species including 13 SOLITARY SANDPIPERS were seen at Eaton Brook Pool.

Herkimer County

------------

     8/8: 6 Shorebird species including 1 SEMI-PALMATED PLOVER were seen at the McKoons Road Wetland north of Richfield Springs. Also found was a GREAT EGRET.

---- End Transcript

----

Date: 8/12/19 8:25 am
From: Jared Dawson <jaredwdawson...>
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Red-headed Woodpecker family, photos of juveniles
I finally got photos of juvenile(s), and verified 2 adults and 2 juvenile RED-HEADED WOODPECKERS; generally mid-morning this family tends to move from trees and suet feeders at 35 Bradley (Trumansburg) over to my yard, favoring 3 old sugar maples, two that border Bradley and one just east of Bradley on Strowbridge. Clearly saw the 4 birds in flight and on perches. It’s a little tricky with the juvenile photos, but it looks to me like one is lighter in plumage than the one shown on the suet feeder. Not as much vocalization as previously heard, some short calls and rattles. Next challenge is to get some good vocalizations recorded.
One of the juveniles was zig-zagging from tree to tree, apparently hawking insects, which I have not seen the adults doing.

View this checklist online and the photos at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58938199 <https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58938199>

Jared Dawson
Trumansburg

Date: 8/11/19 12:48 pm
From: Dave Nutter <nutter.dave...>
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Montezuma NWR shorebird walk Saturday 17 August
This morning I joined Dave Nicosia for a guided walk onto the dikes around Knox-Marsellus marsh seeking shorebirds. I don’t want to steal his thunder, so suffice it to say the trip was successful. I expect he will send out the impressive list shortly, if he hasn’t already. He will be leading 2 more walks, also on Sundays, at 2-week intervals. I would like to announce that on the alternate weekends there will be similar walks on Saturdays:

This coming Saturday, 17 August, Bob McGuire and I will lead another shorebird walk. We will again meet at 7am at the Montezuma NWR Visitor Center, which is on NYS-5/US-50 between NYS-89 and NYS-90 east of Seneca Falls. From there we will drive to the overlook on East Road and spend the rest of the morning walking a couple unprotected shadeless miles to see what birds we can find, concentrating on the several species of shorebirds which have been pausing at the refuge during their southbound migration from their far northern breeding grounds. This walk into a normally closed area of the refuge is free and open to the public. Dress for the weather and bring binoculars, a field guide, drinking water, and a snack. If you have a spotting scope, please bring it, and if you are willing to share scope views and expertise, as Bob and I will be doing, that will be welcome. This can be a chance to see and learn about some distant and subtle birds.

There will also be a similar trip on Saturday, 31 August, led by Josh Snodgrass and myself.

Date: 8/10/19 11:02 am
From: Johnson, Alyssa <ajohnson...>
Subject: Re:[cayugabirds-l] Dead Eagle
Please contact NYSDEC officer, if you havent already. Too bad!

Alyssa Johnson
Environmental Educator
Montezuma Audubon Center

PO Box 187
2295 State Route 89
Savannah, New York 13146
(315) 365-3588
<ajohnson...>
________________________________
Date: 8/10/19 5:45 am
From: Joshua Bacon <bacon.joshua...>
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Dead eagle @ Crane Unit
Hi All,

DEC staff will be taking care of the eagle at the crane unit this morning.
Thank you for reporting this unfortunate situation.

Best, Josh

Date: 8/9/19 5:30 pm
From: Ann Mitchell <annmitchell13...>
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Shorebirds in Montezuma
The Wildlife Drive, between 3:00-4:30. was grass. Eaton Marsh was dry. The corner past Eaton Marsh had both Yellowlegs and Least Sandpipers plus 10+ Great Egrets. Benning Marsh at the beginning had water but no shorebirds when I was there.

East Road was the most promising shorebird area. There were quite a few peeps and Yellowlegs. Everything was very distant and it was hard to distinguish the shorebird species. There were many Mallards, Wood Ducks, and some other Duck species. 80+ Great Egrets, Tundra Swans, and 13 Sandhill Cranes, plus Common Gallinules, Coots, and Great Blue Herons were present.

Good birding,
Ann Mitchell

Date: 8/9/19 8:56 am
From: Judith Thurber <jathurber...>
Subject: Re: [cayugabirds-l] Cool morning feeder birds
Very similar activity in Liverpool — live seeing the Orioles especially— and gearing “teakettle teakettle”😊

Judy Thurber
Liverpool

Sent from my iPhone

Date: 8/7/19 7:11 am
From: Johnson, Alyssa <ajohnson...>
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Montezuma Moth Night and other events!
Good morning-

The Montezuma Audubon Center is hosting a great event this Friday, Aug. 9th from 7pm-9:30pm: Montezuma Moth Night!

Fri., August 9, 7:00 pm - 9:30 pm
Montezuma Moth Night
Join us as we welcome Dr. Meena Madhav Haribal, semi-retired Chemical Ecologist from Cornell University who studies the behaviors and interactions between different organisms based on their chemistry. Dr. Haribal will lead an informative indoor presentation about the unique characteristics of moths and set up equipment outside to attract Montezuma's moths so you can see them up close. This is a family-friendly event and all ages are welcome. Bug spray, a flashlight and camera are recommended. Fee: $5/child, $10/adult, $20/family. FREE for Friends of the Montezuma Wetlands Complex.

*RAINDATE 8/16/19, 7:00 pm - 9:30 pm Please call 315-365-3588 or e-mail <montezuma...><mailto:<montezuma...> to make a reservation.

For a complete listing of our events, please visit this link: https://friendsofmontezuma.org/montezuma-audubon-summer-2019-programs/

Happy birding!

--
Alyssa Johnson
Environmental Educator

Montezuma Audubon Center
2295 State Route 89
P.O. Box 187
Savannah, New York 13146
Audubon NY- Montezuma<http://ny.audubon.org/Montezuma>
Montezuma Audubon Center on Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/MontezumaAudubonCenter/>

Date: 8/7/19 6:21 am
From: Marc Devokaitis <mdevokaitis...>
Subject: Re: [cayugabirds-l] confirmation of RED-HEADED WOODPECKER breeding
That's so exciting Jared!
Incredibly/incredulously I have only had one local sighting this summer,
despite the fact that our yards are separated by no more than 500 feet, and
we keep filled suet feeders. It has not, to my knowledge, visited our yard.
I encountered it around the corner from you to the northwest, on Seneca Rd
between its intersections with Bradley St. and Rte 96 -- an adult was
working the groves of trees on either side of the road. This was about 10
days ago.
Hoping for the best for these neighborhood newcomers!

Marc

Date: 8/5/19 12:49 pm
From: Joseph Brin <brinjoseph...>
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Syracuse RBA

RBA

*New York

August 05 2019

NYSY 08. 05 19

Hotline: Syracuse Area Rare Bird Alert

To report by email: brinjoseph AT yahoo DOT com

Reporting upstate counties: Onondaga, Oswego, Madison, Oneida, Herkimer, Cayuga,

Montezuma Wildlife Refuge and Montezuma Wetlands Complex

Compiled: August 05 at 2:00 p.m.

Compiler: Joseph Brin

Onondaga Audubon Homepage: www.onondagaaudubon.org

Greetings: This is the Syracuse Area Rare Bird Alert for the week of July  29, 2019

Highlights:

LEAST BITTERN

BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON

GREATER SCAUP

EURASIAN WIGEON

SANDHILL CRANE

STILT SANDPIPER

UPLAND SANDPIPER

LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER

SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER

STILT SANDPIPER

ACADIAN FLYCATCHER

GRASSHOPPER SPARROW

RED-HEADED WOODPECKER

SEDGE WREN

Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge (MNWR) and Montezuma Wetlands Complex (MWC)

------------

     Shorebirds (13) found at the Complex this week.

     LEAST SANDPIPER

     KILLDEER

     LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER

     SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER

     SOLITARY SANDPIPER

     SEMI-PALMATED SANDPIPER

     GREATER YELLOWLEGS

     LESSER YELLOWLEGS

     SEMI-PALMATED PLOVER

     PECTORAL SANDPIPER

     SPOTTED SANDPIPER

     STILT SANDPIPER

     WILSON’S SNIPE

     7/30: The SEDGE WREN found on East Road on 7/28 was seen again on this day and on the 31st. However the field where it has been has been cut and it has not been reported since.

     8/2: 7 shorebird species including LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER were seen along the Wildlife Drive.

     8/3: An EURASIAN WIGEON and 2 BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT-HERONS were seen looking south from VanDyne Spoor Road. 9 species of shorebirds including SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER sere seen along the Wildlife trail.

     8/4: 10 species of shorebirds including STILT SANDPIPER were seen along the Wildlife Trail. 7 SANDHILL CRANES, a BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON and an ORCHARD ORIOLE were all seen from East Road. A LEAST BITTERN was seen in Malone Marsh on Savanna Spring Lake Road.

Cayuga County

------------

     4/30: A RED-HEADED WOODPECKER was seen at West Barrier Bar Park in Fair Haven.

Onondaga County

------------

     A SEDGE WREN continues to sing but is very hard to see in the big fields area of Three Rivers WMA north of Baldwinsvile.

     7/31: An ACADIAN FLYCATCHER continues at Whiskey Hollow Nature Preserve west of Baldwinsville.

Oswego County

------------

     8/1: A GREATER SCAUP was seen in Oswego Harbor.

Madison County

------------

     8/1: A GRASSHOPPER SPARROW was found on Mason Hill east of Hamilton.

Oneida County

------------

     7/29: An UPLAND SANDPIPER was seen in a traditional spot in the Deerfield Grasslands south of Poland.

     8/2: A RED-HEADED WOODPECKER was seen on Vincent Ave in Verona Beach.

     8/3: A RED-HEADED WOODPECKER was seen on Drive 28 in Jewel at the east end of Oneida Lake.

     8/4: 21 GREAT EGRETS were seen in the Utica Marsh WMA.

---- End Transcript

----

Date: 8/2/19 5:56 pm
From: Jody Enck <jodyenck...>
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Bird Behavior
I've always loved August because, for me, it kicks off the fall season.
Yes, the heat and humidity are still high, but you can just feel the
restlessness of nature. Various blackbirds and swallows are starting to
move around in flocks. Mourning Doves course the skies in ever increasing
numbers. And, birds that don't breed in my yard start to show up here.

Today, my 6am walk around the yard did not reveal anything too unusual
although I had a barn swallow winging by by 6:15. Things really picked up
a bit later, though. I was trying to work about 9:30, but the activity in
the apple trees out my office window distracted me. Canada Warbler,
American Redstart, Red-eyed Vireo, and Eastern Wood-Pewee had joined the
regular resident birds. I took another walk around the yard about 6pm in
heat expecting to see little of great interest. Imagine my surprise when I
came eye to eye with an adult Hooded Warbler. You just never know what
you'll find until you go look.

Here is something else I finally made sense out of today. I sometimes
using pishing when I see the bushes moving and want to try to get a bird to
pop up into view. I don't think I pish a lot, but use it once in a while
on just about every walk around I do. I (finally) noticed today that when
I pished, the local, still-breeding birds (Song Sparrows, Gray Catbirds,
American Robins, House Wrens, Red-winged Blackbirds, and Common
Yellowthroats) all responded to the pishing. They popped up looking to see
what the fuss was all about. On the other hand, the other birds that were
just foraging through my yard (see second paragraph above) all dove for
cover or just ignored me completely. I think the reason is that birds that
were just foraging through my yard had nothing really to defend from a
predator (like a nest or young), and could probably just try to escape the
predator without participating in the group defense mobbing behavior. So,
instead of helping me get better looks at the migrants, I unintentionally
made it harder to see them.

My friendly advice is: when the calendar turns to August, use more
patience and less pishing.

Good birding!

Date: 8/1/19 6:30 am
From: Maryfaith Miller <merrymilkmama...>
Subject: Re: [cayugabirds-l] Swallows eating mushrooms
Alyssa,
I know I have to fight the insects for my share of the mushrooms I like to
eat, and it makes me wonder if the birds know how mushrooms can be loaded
with bugs. Did you get the sense that the birds were consuming the
mushrooms, or rummaging through them for insects? Very interesting behavior!
Maryfaith

Date: 8/1/19 6:28 am
From: AB Clark <anneb.clark...>
Mushrooms almost immediately attract a range of small insects, some of which specialize on reproducting in them—tiny beetles, gnats (flies) and I am sure several other groups. I wonder if they were not picking these easy insects off, especially given their juvenile (klutzy predator) status? The movements might have attracted them.

Anne

Date: 7/29/19 1:36 pm
From: Joseph Brin <brinjoseph...>

RBA

*New York

July 29 2019

NYSY 07. 29 19

Hotline: Syracuse Area Rare Bird Alert

To report by email: brinjoseph AT yahoo DOT com

Reporting upstate counties: Onondaga, Oswego, Madison, Oneida, Herkimer, Cayuga,

Montezuma Wildlife Refuge and Montezuma Wetlands Complex

Compiled: July 29 at 4:00 p.m.

Compiler: Joseph Brin

Onondaga Audubon Homepage: www.onondagaaudubon.org

Greetings: This is the Syracuse Area Rare Bird Alert for the week of July  22, 2019

Highlights:

COMMON LOON

BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON

CANVASBACK

PIPING PLOVER

STILT SANDPIPER

UPLAND SANDPIPER

SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER

BLACK TERN

SEDGE WREN

Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge (MNWR) and Montezuma Wetlands Complex (MWC)

------------

     Shorebirds seen at the complex this week

     KILLDEER

     STILT SANDPIPER

     LEAST SANDPIPER

     SEMI-PALMATED SANDPIPER

     SOLITARY SANDPIPER

     GREATER YELLOWLEGS

     LESSER YELLOWLEGS

     SEMI-PALMATED PLOVER

     PECTORAL SANDPIPER

     7/25: 7 species of shorebirds including a STILT SANDPIPER were seen along the Wildlife Trail.

     7/27: 2 STILT SANDPIPERS and 40 BLACK TERNS were seen from VanDyne Spoor Road. A SEDGE WREN  was found on the east side of East Road near the house #400.

     7/28: A male CANVASBACK continues at Knox-Marsellus Marsh. The SECGE WREN was again heard on East Road. 9 species of shorebirds including a SEMI-PALMATED PLOVER were found along the Wildlife Trail.

     7/29: The SEDGE WREN continues on East Road.

Onondaga county

------------

     The SEDGE WREN found on 7/14 at Three Rivers WMA in the big fields east of 60 Road continues to sing as recently as today.

     7/25: A STILT SANDPIPER was found in the marshy spit area at the southwest end of Onondaga Lake.

     7/26: 3 adult BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT-HERONS were seen on the Onondaga creek creekwalk just north of Hiawatha Boulevard.

Oswego County

------------

     7/26: 2 juvenile PIPING PLOVERS were again seen on the beach north of Sandy Island State Park. An UPLAND SANDPIPER was seen at the Oswego County Airfield on Howard Road along with 6 other shorebird species.

Madison County

------------

     7/24: A COMMON LOON was spotted on Deruyter Reservoir.

     7/29: 19 SPOTTED SANDPIPERS were seen at Easton Brook Mill Pond.

Herkimer County

------------

     7/23: A SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER was found at the Mckoons Road pond north of Richfield Springs.

     7/24: The Dowitcher was not seen but 6 species of shorebirds were again at the Mckoons Road Pond.

---- End Transcript

----

Date: 7/29/19 11:50 am
From: Jody Enck <jodyenck...>
Subject: Re: [cayugabirds-l] Empid ID help
Hi Adrian,
Thanks for your feedback.
Only took a quick second through binoculars to realize that the shape was
an Empid not a Pewee, which I just assumed given that I had seen one
earlier. My reference to it being stretched out was to indicate it was
more like a Willow Flycatcher in structure than a Least Flycatcher. Sorry
for any confusion.

Thanks again.

Date: 7/29/19 8:08 am
From: bob mcguire <bmcguire...>
Subject: Re: [cayugabirds-l] Woodcock and waterthrush...interesting yard birds!
Thanks Marie!

Funny about the woodcock. Last night, as I lay in bed, I heard the wing-feathers whistling of a woodcock right outside the window. No “peanuts”, no sky display with chirps. Just a woodcock on the move. We had as many as 5 woodcocks in our fields this spring, and I often hear them displaying here in early fall.

Bob

Date: 7/29/19 5:30 am
From: Asher Hockett <veery715...>
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Yellow warbler downtown
Walking by the Holiday Inn on Cayuga St this morning I spotted a young
Yellow Warbler sitting quietly on the sidewalk. It could have easily been
stepped on. I put my hand down in front of it and it climbed onto my index
finger . I then put that same finger next to a branch of one of the
container bushes nearby and it moved to the branch. It was as green a bird
as I have ever seen. It didn't seem injured. I left it there. I like to
think it will be OK.

The trees nearby were ringing with the metalic calls of male Yellow
Warblers, more than one I think, though the echoes between the buildings
there may have multiplied them. I don't know if the calls related to the
youngster - maybe?

--
asher

Date: 7/28/19 6:33 pm
From: AB Clark <anneb.clark...>
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Great Egret--Hile School Rd wetland pm 28Jul19
Seen S of Hile School Rd, central wetland, preening calmly in dead trees—two probably juvenile Great Blue Herons in tree next door. Found as light was low at 855 pm tonight—sans binocs, etc. Ran back home to get scope—not trusting my size estimates in deep dusk. Dark legs, marginally smaller than herons, couldn’t confirm yellow bill against its feathers but—well, there aren’t a lot of options. Bill slender and long, less robust than GBH—at least as seen in near darkness.

Anne

Anne B. Clark
147 Hile School Rd.

Date: 7/27/19 8:31 am
From: Suan Hsi Yong <suan.yong...>
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] More Merlin Videos
Some videos taken of the fledgling Merlins from Thursday morning:

Did this young Merlin eat its own feathers?
https://www.facebook.com/suan.yong/videos/10220301374582482/

Two young Merlins:
https://www.facebook.com/suan.yong/videos/10220301505025743/

Merlin fledglings preening and calling:
https://www.facebook.com/suan.yong/videos/10220301439264099/

Fledgling Merlin making its way back to the nest:
https://www.facebook.com/suan.yong/videos/10220301452504430/

Suan

Date: 7/27/19 5:44 am
From: Linda Ziemba <linda_ziemba...>
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] [cayugabirds-l] Montezuma Wildlife Drive and East Rd Today 7/26/19
Hi Everyone,

Knox-Marsellus is set for water to flow out so it should be good for
shorebirds soon.

Good birding.

Linda
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Linda Chorba Ziemba
Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge
3395 US Route 20 East
Seneca Falls, NY 13148
315-406-0052

On Jul 26, 2019, at 4:27 PM, David Nicosia <daven102468...> wrote:

All,

Took a quick trip up to wildlife drive today since it has been quite some
time for me.
I saw nothing unusual. Shorebirds are increasing and seem to be
concentrated in the channel before Larue's, Eaton Marsh (some) and
especially Benning Marsh.

Benning had a lot of peeps, mostly LEAST SANDPIPERS but there were several
SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPERS as well. I also had 3 WILSON'S SNIPE here among
many yellowlegs of both species. I am pretty sure I had a pectoral
sandpiper but it slipped away behind some reeds before I could be 100%
sure. I also noticed a few least sandpipers that looked very colorful and
then others that were much duller. Could juveniles already be showing up?
Seems a bit early... I also had one semipalmated sandpiper that was lighter
and really looked like a juvie but it is almost certain that this was just
a lighter adult.

I also checked on the snowy egret report of yesterday on the thruway ponds
and only came up with great egrets and great blue herons. It could easily
be somewhere in the massive areas up there. The shorebird habitat looks
decent at the thruway ponds too and there were some least sandpipers,
yellowlegs and a spottie too.

My list is here.... https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58469114

I also did a quick stop at East Rd and the water level still looks a bit
too high at K-M Marsh for shorebirds but with continued warm weather it
should dry out nicely in time for increasing shorebird migration. I am
going to inquire about possible dike walks and let everyone know. Of note
there was one male REDHEAD here which is not that unusual but neat to see
this time of year.

List is here....https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58469456

Best,

Dave Nicosia

Date: 7/25/19 8:47 pm
From: Donna Lee Scott <dls9...>
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Mergs on float
I have been seeing here by the east shore a family of 8 Common Mergansers, I presume the mother and 7 young, although they are all the same size.
One day one of them caught quite a large fish and then swallowed it quickly when its sibs zoomed over to steal it! I was surprised it was able to get it down.

A neighbor to the south has attached a bright red, rectangular float to his mooring ball about 50 feet from shore.
After they swim their rounds and fish up and down along the shore, the Mergs regularly swim down there and all get on the float to loaf.
It is neat seeing them all on that bright red plastic pad out in the water!

Donna L. Scott
535 Lansing Station Road
Lansing, NY

Date: 7/25/19 5:16 pm
From: Donna Lee Scott <dls9...>
Subject: RE: [cayugabirds-l] Salt Pt Baltimore and Orchard Orioles
Today, I had not only my regular Catbirds at the jelly feeder (with half an orange), but an adult and a juvenile B. Oriole came to feed! They ate suet, as well as jelly and orange.
At night the flying squirrels eat the jelly & suet, too!

Donna L. Scott
535 Lansing Station Road
Lansing

Date: 7/25/19 4:41 pm
From: Carol Keeler <carolk441...>
There were Caspian Terns at the end of the wildlife drive on Tuesday. They were rather distant.

My orioles are still here and coming for the jelly. The juveniles were finally eating jelly on their own. I still have my Grosbeaks coming. I have a pair of House Wrens nesting in a birdhouse on my shed. I love hearing him sing.

Sent from my iPad

Date: 7/25/19 3:11 pm
From: Judith Thurber <jathurber...>

Date: 7/25/19 7:57 am
From: Suan Hsi Yong <suan.yong...>
Subject: Re: [cayugabirds-l] Merlin nest GIAC
On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 7:20 AM John Confer <confer...> wrote:

> Hi Suan,
>
> Thanks for posting that.
>
> Mammals are rarely captured by Merlin, but not never. Adults often
> remove the tail and head before they bring it to nestlings. That has been a
> frustration when I tried to identify prey, which I did for 50 prey. None of
> them were mammals, but dead floppy birds without tail or head look like
> mammals. I couldn't tell what it was. At one frame I thought I saw two
> bumps on the ventral surface where the legs of a bird would be. By the way,
> they do eat the bird's legs. Lots of calcium I guess.

Thanks John.

On that evening, I first observed a parent flying by with the prey in its
talons, over the field and an unseen site away from the nest. The video was
taken about 10-20 minutes later when a/the parent brought the prey to the
nest. That timeline is consistent with some food pre-processing.

Meanwhile, this morning the two fully-feathered fledglings sat in the nice
morning sun, preening, ever attentive of the parent's few fly-by's, and
made a couple of short flights to a nearby tree and back, but always
wanting to stay close to home.

Date: 7/25/19 4:21 am
From: John Confer <confer...>
Hi Suan,

Thanks for posting that.

Mammals are rarely captured by Merlin, but not never. Adults often remove the tail and head before they bring it to nestlings. That has been a frustration when I tried to identify prey, which I did for 50 prey. None of them were mammals, but dead floppy birds without tail or head look like mammals. I couldn't tell what it was. At one frame I thought I saw two bumps on the ventral surface where the legs of a bird would be. By the way, they do eat the bird's legs. Lots of calcium I guess.

John