CountyBirders
Received From Subject
7/19/18 11:51 am Jim Lomax <sdrib...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] Los Angeles and Riverside Counties
7/15/18 5:57 pm <bacpab...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] Northern Gannett San Mateo County
7/14/18 12:31 pm <bacpab...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] Gull rides garbage truck from SF to Vernalis
7/12/18 3:20 pm Jim Lomax <sdrib...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] Siskiyou County
7/9/18 5:23 pm Jim Lomax <sdrib...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] Kern County
7/9/18 8:33 am <jtajax...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] Tehama County Allen's Hummingbird No
7/7/18 4:41 pm Jim Lomax <sdrib...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] San Mateo County
7/3/18 8:23 pm ruth <ruthier...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] Kenwood hummer - no
7/2/18 7:57 pm ruth <ruthier...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] What the?
7/2/18 3:07 pm 'L Pittman' <pittmanl...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] Alpine, Mono & Tuolumne counties
7/2/18 9:24 am Jim Lomax <sdrib...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] Marin and Glenn Counties
6/30/18 5:48 pm Jim Lomax <sdrib...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] Inyo and Mono Counties
6/29/18 9:36 am John Luther <aplomado-falcon...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] Mono Co
6/26/18 11:41 am John Sterling <jsterling...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] Franklin's Gull counts in NE CA
6/25/18 6:18 pm Jim Lomax <sdrib...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] Modoc County
6/22/18 12:35 pm Jim Lomax <sdrib...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] Mono County

Back to top
Date: 7/19/18 11:51 am
From: Jim Lomax <sdrib...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] Los Angeles and Riverside Counties
’s up, dogs?

Couldn’t decide if I really wanted to go down and see the duck until the warbler showed up, so off I went.

Los Angeles County July 17th

Left here about 1100 hrs and arrived on West Jefferson Boulevard parking 100 feet west of the now famous blue dumpster west of Lincoln Boulevard around 1730 hrs. Walked over near the dumpster and there was the FULVOUS WHISTLING-DUCK. Sort of anticlimactic for all the hoopla. Spent the night in Sylmar.

Los Angeles County July 18th

Arrived in the Chilao Campground and picnic area off Hwy 2 in the San Gabriel Mountains at 0600. Parked in the little parking area, on the left of the road in, at the end of the loop from the picnic area (past the Visitor Center) near the gate as Jon Dunn via Kimball Garrett advised and walked northwest along the road past the gate about 100 feet or so. Among the tall Pine Trees was the GRACE’S WARBLER. I watched it for about 20 minutes or so and then began my quest for a Pygmy-Owl. After two hours working both in Chilao, Buckhorn, and up and down Hwy 2, I gave up, and headed to Riverside.

Riverside County July 18th

Arrived at the stadium parking lot off Pete Lehr Drive via Diamond Drive in Elsinore and met Charity Hagen and Curtis Marantz, along with others, out on the dike at the southeast end of Lake Elsinore. We observed the WOOD STORK for awhile and I went back to the San Gabriel Mountains. I was going to stay to look for Screech-Owl, but after no Pygmy with several more hours of looking, went home.

“Truckin’ like the do-dah man”,

Jim Lomax
Solitary Birder
from No Particular Place

Not at all sure where I’ve been, but I’m not starting over again.

Back to top
Date: 7/15/18 5:57 pm
From: <bacpab...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] Northern Gannett San Mateo County
The Northern Gannett arrived on Egg Rock just as I set up my scope at about 2 PM this afternoon. There hadn't been anything posted or recorded in eBird for several days, but it's still there. It's such a handsome bird. The Rock Wrens took the day off.

The Devil's Slide parking areas off Hwy 1, just south of Pacifica, have limited spaces. I had to wait for 15 minutes or so for hikers to come off the trail and open up a parking spot. It's about a .5 mile hike along the old highway to the rock. There's an area with a bench that's a good scope set-up spot.

Pat Bacchetti
Oakland

Back to top
Date: 7/14/18 12:31 pm
From: <bacpab...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] Gull rides garbage truck from SF to Vernalis
There's now proof that some of the gulls at the Vernalis Recology Composting site do indeed catch rides in garbage trucks! This story was on the front page of the East Bay Times this morning:

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2018/07/13/hitchhiking-seagull-takes-150-mile-truck-ride-along-california-freeways/ https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2018/07/13/hitchhiking-seagull-takes-150-mile-truck-ride-along-california-freeways/

The story tells of a GPS-tagged Western Gull nesting at the Farallones who was tracked doing 60 MPH on Hwy 880, onto Hwy 580 over the Altamont, finally stopping in Vernalis. And she did it again the next day.

When I was out there one afternoon, one of the Recology workers told me that they often saw gulls flying out of the trucks. At the time, I wasn't sure if it was a tall tale told for a birder's amusement or the real thing, but this seems to confirm that at least one gull had it figured out.

Best,

Pat Bacchetti
Oakland

Back to top
Date: 7/12/18 3:20 pm
From: Jim Lomax <sdrib...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] Siskiyou County
’s up, dogs?

Couldn’t get an appointment with DMV anywhere in the bay area to renew my driver’s license before my birthday in August so Sheree got me an appointment in Alturas. Figured I needed to bird Siskiyou anyway after the test. Yesterday was the test after which I headed for Siskiyou County..

Arrived in Yreka about 1330 hrs. Needed three birds to turn the county red. After no luck for two hours I drove west on Greenhorn Road from South Main Street and went about four to five miles stopping now and then to give my Bangladesh Pygmy-Owl toot. At one point about four miles out, I heard a distant owl but it would not come any closer. So on for a another mile and this time I heard one a lot closer. Thus began our duet: me tooting my imitation Bangladesh Pygmy-Owl toot with interspersed trills and the real owl giving his best toots and trills. Eventually, the NORTHERN PYGMY-OWL came to within 40 feet and I had a soul satisfying look. Very nice.

Waited then until dark. Headed out from the motel at 2200 hrs, and again went west on Greenhorn Road and then, after about three miles, south on Mill Creek Road and when I came to it, the left fork. About 2300 hrs I had a WESTERN SCREECH-OWL fly in and land on a tree across the road for me. Very satisfying looks and I went to my room.

This morning I checked Hawkinsville Humbug Road west from North Main Street where in June, Lawrence’s Goldfinch was reported. No such luck today. Then I stopped at a Chevron Station to use the facilities. As I washed up, another person came in and I left. When I got in the car to leave, I realized I left my sunglasses in the bathroom. When I got back there, the person was gone and so were my sunglasses. I checked everywhere including the garbage cans. Checked with the clerk to see if he turned them in. Nope. That bastard took my Oakley prescription sunglasses which will do him no good and he will just throw them away. I went home. My opinion of people hasn’t changed.

The test? 100%

Date: 7/9/18 5:23 pm
From: Jim Lomax <sdrib...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] Kern County
’s up, dogs?

I started getting ready to go on Saturday when first discovered but before I could leave home, the bird was gone. Then reported yesterday again, so last night I decided to try and left home at 2330. I arrived at the Kern River Preserve about 0430 and waited until light. After two other cars with people who work came in, I went to the back lot as others arrived. I met up with Ryan Terrill, we sat on a bench overlooking the feeders. A little while later, Curtis Marantz and Matt Grube arrived. Then at 0620, the VIOLET-CROWNED HUMMINGBIRD made it’s first appearance. During the next 45 minutes, we saw the hummingbird five or six times as it came to the feeders. I left about 0845 and went home. Very nice.

Date: 7/9/18 8:33 am
From: <jtajax...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] Tehama County Allen's Hummingbird No
Last evening, Sunday 8 July, three of us, utilizing Logan's directions, arrived at the Grassland's Hummingbird Feeder Station at 1850. We observed the feeders for 45 minutes and were unable to see a full-gorgeted male Selasphorus hummer. The particular feeder that the Allen's had been previously been guarding had birds visit it, but were never driven away. It may be gone.

Cheers,

jt lewis
Chico

Back to top
Date: 7/7/18 4:41 pm
From: Jim Lomax <sdrib...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] San Mateo County
Normally, I write a report on a new county bird I would see in any given county. But I’ve exhausted myself lately with trying and missing birds; I was a day late for the Guadalupe Murrelet on July 5th, missed the Western bluebirds in Mono on July 6th, and missed the Ancient Murrelets this morning. Then with Divine reprieve, I ran into the man who saw this bird yesterday and knew exactly where to look. Malia DeFelice wrote this and I could not report in any better:

"This morning Chris and I headed into Burleigh Murray State Park. On our way in we were joined by Jim Chiropolos. After crossing the 2nd wooden bridge we heard a "fitz-bew" call of a WILLOW FLYCATCHER repeated several times. After some searching he bird was located perching and flycatching from a Eucalyptus. A Willow Flycatcher was noted at this exact location on Jun 1 by Chris Hayward and Jun 6 by Garth Harwood and has not been reported again at this spot until today. Continuing down the trail we were joined by Jim Lomax. We all arrived at the location where Chris Hayward saw the Yellow-breasted Chat the previous day. Chris O'Connell was there searching for the bird. After maybe 25 minutes we started to hear the YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT calling. Finally we were able to get brief looks at the bird when it perched up on some dead foliage. Once we had the initial sighing, I believe the 5 of us probably spent a good part of a hour, maybe more, pretty much standing in one spot hoping for a better, longer look. During the time we were there, we saw it maybe 4 times both perching briefly and in flight. It called on and off during the time we were there. Below are Chris's directions to the spot where the bird was seen both yesterday and today.

The location is well past the barn and approx. 100 yards before the wide mowed trail ends and becomes a narrow grassy trail. There is a patch of Pampas Grass on the up slope side of the trail or left side as you head in. The Chat was seen on the up side slope in some bare bushes about twenty yards before the Pampas grass. It would sometimes cross over into the riparian area on the down slope side. Thanks to Andrew Rush for this great find.

Malia DeFelice and Chris Hayward"

Thank you Malia and Chris.

Date: 7/3/18 8:23 pm
From: ruth <ruthier...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] Kenwood hummer - no
No show today. I was really hoping the bird would appear. Try again
tomorrow.

Ruthei Rudesill

Kenwood

Back to top
Date: 7/2/18 7:57 pm
From: ruth <ruthier...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] What the?
This is evening I was looking out my back deck for my wayward puppy. A
movement caught my eye and I looked down as a large humming bird emerged
from my Mexican Sage plant. As it quickly flew away all I saw was
prominent white tail tips on a bluish-black tail with an emerald green
back.

Not my local Anna's. I looked thru my hummingbird book and did not look
at the species names, just the photos. Found one that matched. It was
what I thought it was but they don't live here. By a thousand miles.

This is NOT confirmed. I will keep an eye out for the bird's return.

The species? Blue-throated Hummingbird. But don't jump in the car
yet.

Ruthei Rudesill

Kenwood Sonoma Valley

Back to top
Date: 7/2/18 3:07 pm
From: 'L Pittman' <pittmanl...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] Alpine, Mono & Tuolumne counties
Jim Rowoth, Liz West and I headed over to the east side of the Sierra for a
few birds. First stop was at Sorensen's Resort on Hwy 88 in Alpine County
for one of the CORDILLERAN FLYCATCHERS found by David Yee on an earlier
trip. We heard one as we got of the car and walked across the parking lot
to track it down. It was behind the Norway House that fronts onto the
parking. We were in and out of there in just a few minutes. It was a bonus
bird on the way to Mono County!

The target county for this trip was Mono. We birded our way down to Bald
Mountain Road so Jim and Liz could see the continuing GRACE'S WARBLER. It
was pretty much in the same place Frances and I saw it on 6/19. Still going
from tall tree to tall tree singing. We also checked on the nearby
WILLIAMSON'S SAPSUCKER nest. The young had not fledged yet but will soon.
We then went out Picnic Grounds Road near Mono Lake to the road to the
parking lot for Lee Vining Creek delta and walked out to the lake, walked
along the shore going east and had good looks at the LONG-TAILED DUCK for
about 20 minutes as it paddled around offshore. Sunday morning we headed
out early to Wildrose Canyon. After reading John Luther and Jim Lomax's
directions, we crossed the dry creek/ditch at the eastern edge of the aspens
and walked north. About 100 yards north from the creek bed, having gone up
a gentle slope and starting slightly downhill, we faintly heard the
BLACK-CHINNED SPARROW and continued a little further north to find it.

Before deciding which pass to drive over to get home, we checked the alerts
and saw one for an INDIGO BUNTING found by Kurt Ongman and Stefanny
Villagomez along Hwy 120/Big Oak Flat not too far from the western entrance
of Yosemite in Tuolumne County, so we headed up Tioga Pass and through the
upper part of Yosemite. Following their excellent directions and warnings
in the ebird comments, we found the small place to pull out. When the
traffic thinned out, we heard the INDIGO BUNTING singing above us. It sang
from high perches in dead trees or tree tops on both sides of the highway.
Next to the small pullout is a low large tree stump. We left a stick arrow
pointing to the tree it favored. Here is the ebird checklist with the
directions: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46907524.

Happy birding!

Linda Pittman

Wilton, CA

Back to top
Date: 7/2/18 9:24 am
From: Jim Lomax <sdrib...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] Marin and Glenn Counties
’s up, dogs?

Since this Marin County bird was discovered while I was in Colorado last month, I haven’t had time to look for it/them until yesterday. So I did.

Marin County July 1st

Arrived at the Fish Docks about 0700. No slow lookyloos driving at that hour on a Sunday morning. Very nice. About 15 minutes after I arrived, the male LAWRENCE’S GOLDFINCH popped up on a Cypress Tree next to the water tanks northwest of the home. Left after watching it about for ten minutes.. Went home.

Glenn County July 1st

Sheree and I drove west on Hwy 162 from I-5 and arrived at mm 43.70 around 1940 hrs. If you go, turn north when Hwy 162 crosses the bridge and “T”s on the cross road. Going north is also Hwy 162. We parked along the side of the road and watched the open grassy field to the east. About 2040 hrs, Sheree heard and said “there it is” and I looked straight up to a COMMON NIGHTHAWK seventy five feet above us. This bird was found a few days ago by Logan Kahle and seen June 30th at 2038 hrs by John Luther right here. It flew about the field for a few minutes and then off to the west. We went home.

Date: 6/30/18 5:48 pm
From: Jim Lomax <sdrib...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] Inyo and Mono Counties
’s up, dogs?

After reading Russell Kokx’s report a few days ago I went back to Inyo County.

Inyo County June 28th

I arrived at Whitney Portal, out of Lone Pine, about 0630 and parked in the western end of the area. I talked to Russell via cell about where he had seen the bird and began my search. Around 1030 I talked to him again and he suggested trying a little lower near the Meysan Lake Trailhead, a couple of miles back down the road. So I did. Had to park along the main road and walk into the campground area to get to the trailhead. While in the campground though, I got a much less than satisfactory, albeit diagnostic look at the bird, a WHITE-HEADED WOODPECKER. Then I lost it and could not find it again. At 1300 I went back up to the area of the general store at the top and tried up there for a couple of hours. On my way out, I stopped again at the Meysan Lake Trailhead area. Suddenly the White-headed Woodpecker appeared again and this time stayed working on a nearby Ponderosa Pine tree. I watched it for about five minutes before I left. Very nice.

Mono County June 29th

So this morning I went up to the White Mountains to look for a warbler in Inyo County. Near the kiosk to the entrance to Bristlecone Pine Park I found one, a nice Black-throated Gray Warbler. I went back across the valley to the west side to look for another bird. At one point I discovered I already had this warbler for Inyo. It was in Mono I needed it. Hate it when that happens. So off to the area in Mono where I had seen that mute Black-chinned Sparrow last week, Wildrose Canyon. Soon as I arrived, I got out and hiked up the dirt road. Within five minutes I was looking at a BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLER. This was the last (58th) county I needed it.

This morning I went back to San Luis Obispo County arriving at 0630 in Pismo Beach to look for the Little Blue Heron reported yesterday and that I missed a month ago. Reminiscent of the Yellow-crowned Night-Heron in Prado Park in San Bernardino…I didn’t see it. Went home.

Date: 6/29/18 9:36 am
From: John Luther <aplomado-falcon...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] Mono Co
Hey Birders,
Yesterday, June 28, the two Black-chinned Sparrows continued in Mono Co.  To get to their location I took highway 120 east from 395 south of Lee Vining.  About 40 miles east of 395 on 120 I went south on Benton Crossing Road to a dirt road (S84B, note that there is a S84E before you reach S84B).  I turned west on S84B and drove about 100 yards to a small pullout on the left (south) side of the road.  Using excellent directions from Jim Lomax I walked north across the dirt road (S84B) to a small aspen grove and continued north through the aspen grove.  On the north side of the aspens the 2 BLACK-CHINNED SPARROWS were in the small shrubs about 30 feet north of the aspen grove.  I watched them from about 5:10 to 5:30 PM often within a couple of inches of each other.  I did see or hear them singing during my time there.
Many other birds there including Chipping and Brewer's sparrow, Laz Bunting, GT and Spotted towhee, and Pinyon Jay made it a very enjoyable spot.
Note that as usual the ebird reports red dots do not show the exact location, but only the general area.
John LutherOakland

Back to top
Date: 6/26/18 11:41 am
From: John Sterling <jsterling...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] Franklin's Gull counts in NE CA
Last year I counted about 70 Franklin’s Gulls at Meiss Lake in the Butte Valley of central Siskiyou County. This year there were none and the water levels were lower that last year.

However, I checked Lower Klamath NWR and Tule Lake and estimated at least 200 at each location where they breed. Also 10 at Modoc NWR, 1 at Lower Roberts Res and at least 2 at Goose Lake at the state line—in Modoc County. None in Lassen County. Most are seen fly catching, so look up in the sky!

John Sterling
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

26 Palm Ave
Woodland, CA 95695
530 908-3836
<jsterling...>
www.sterlingbirds.com

Back to top
Date: 6/25/18 6:18 pm
From: Jim Lomax <sdrib...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] Modoc County
’s up, dogs?

On June 21st, 2001, I saw my 200th species in Modoc County, a Flammulated Owl in Cedar Pass. Yesterday I saw my 250th species and turned the county red. It’s been a long time coming.

Oh, the species? I had a very satisfying and good look at a YELLOW RAIL in the grass about 25 feet south of the barbed wire fence at the west end of State Line Road near the green gate. It was about 1915 hrs.

Won’t live long enough to see 300.

Date: 6/22/18 12:35 pm
From: Jim Lomax <sdrib...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] Mono County
’s up, dogs?

Took off Wednesday morning for the vireo in Lassen County. Arrived about 1000 hrs, kind of late but I needed some sleep from the trip before. I discovered there was no Yellow-throated Vireo at the entrance or anywhere else on the grounds of the Fleming Unit of the Honey Lake Wildlife Refuge. Others looked later with the same results. There had been one found the day before as Louis Bevier had seen the photos, but it migrated on.

Thus I was feeling very tired and just wanted to go home. But…an email popped up from Rosie Howard as I reached Reno ready to go west on I-80. I stayed on Hwy 395. Spent the night in Mammoth Lakes.

Mono County Thursday June 21st

I arrived at the west turnoff of Benton Crossing Road onto S84B to Wildcat Canyon, drove in to the first pullout on the south side and parked, about 0640 hrs. I waited until 0725. The sun now lit up the area and I still hadn’t heard the bird. Rosie Howard and Susan Steele heard it at 0730 the day before as soon as they got out of the car. Worried now, I got out and walked north, crossed a ditch, and continued across an open area. Suddenly I saw the BLACK-CHINNED SPARROW on top of a bush 40 feet away singing his head off. So there are apparently two sparrows as the one I was observing was mute. I could see his head back and beak open and singing vigorously. But I could not hear it. I pished and it came even closer, with still no sound. Sad. So I saw a mute Black-chinned Sparrow but I was happy. Went home via Tehachapi to avoid the five different flaggers stopping traffic between Reno and Bridgeport. Hate them things.

Maybe I need a hearing aid…

“Truckin’ like the do-dah man”,

Jim Lomax
Solitary Birder
from No Particular Place

Not at all sure where I’ve been, but I’m not starting over again.

Join us on Facebook!