CountyBirders
Received From Subject
10/19/17 3:40 pm John Luther <aplomado-falcon...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] Surf Scoter Placer Co
10/15/17 5:59 pm <jtajax...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] Butte County Surf Scoter
10/12/17 10:33 am 'Alvaro Jaramillo' <chucao...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] SF-San Mateo pelagic this weekend
10/12/17 9:44 am Frances Oliver <hummer52...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> Re: [CB] S Mateo/Alameda/Merced/Madera/SF
10/12/17 9:17 am Frances Oliver <hummer52...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> Re: [CB] S Mateo/Alameda/Merced/Madera/SF
10/12/17 7:40 am John Luther <aplomado-falcon...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] S Mateo/Alameda/Merced/Madera/SF
10/11/17 1:51 am Joseph Morlan <jmorlan...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] McCown's Longspur at Crissy Field in San Francisco
10/10/17 3:50 pm <derosester...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] Clay-colored Sparrow in Nevada County
10/9/17 7:27 pm <cropwatch...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] Madera surf scoters
10/6/17 1:05 pm <al_demar...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] SM Chestnutside imm 9amish coyote Pt trees/ditch between GC & pond/fresh marsh Al DeM
10/6/17 1:03 pm <al_demar...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] SM Blkpoll Warb weeds between Freshwtr pond & trees/ditch south of golf course Coyote Pt8amish
10/5/17 3:32 pm <al_demar...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] SCL Ulistac Tennessee Warb @ 1137 in Euc just south of North entrance Al DeM
10/5/17 3:30 pm <al_demar...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] SCL Ulistac Blkpoll(Pine?) Warb @1005 ~150m south of Sta#2 Al DeMartini
9/30/17 1:30 pm John Luther <aplomado-falcon...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] Phil Vireo Santa Cruz Co
9/27/17 11:36 am <al_demar...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] SM im Prairie Warb fennel patch Shorebird Prk Foster Cty 830a
9/26/17 3:38 pm Jim Lomax <sdrib...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] Contra Costa County
9/26/17 10:23 am DEBRA SHEARWATER <debi...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] County Seabirding: MTY & SCZ
9/25/17 11:49 am <dan_cooper_90042...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] Tricolored Heron, lower SAR, Orange Co.
9/23/17 1:25 pm DEBRA SHEARWATER <debi...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] Seabirds: Monterey & Santa Cruz Counties: Sep. 22
9/21/17 11:30 pm Kent Van Vuren <VanVurenK...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] Black-Throated Sparrow at O'Neill Forebay
9/21/17 8:52 pm Jim Lomax <sdrib...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] Del Norte and Santa Clara Counties

Back to top
Date: 10/19/17 3:40 pm
From: John Luther <aplomado-falcon...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] Surf Scoter Placer Co
Today, Oct 19, the 2 Surf Scoter continued at the Lincoln Water Treatment Plant on Fiddyment Road.  They flew in and landed on the southeast pond at 7:30 AM.  I don't know if they came from another part of the pond, another pond or some other place.  When I left about 8:30 they were swimming with a flock of Canada Geese.
If you go don't forget to sign in and out at the office.
John LutherOakland

Back to top
Date: 10/15/17 5:59 pm
From: <jtajax...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] Butte County Surf Scoter
County Birders,

This morning, at an Altacal Audubon field trip, Matt Forster found a Surf Scoter at the Thermalito Forebay.

The bird was at the area of the Forebay accessed from the viewing/boat-launch area off Grand Ave. in Oroville.

From hi way 70 in Oroville, take the Grand Ave. exit and drive about a mile and a half west to the Forebay access area on the right. Drive into the area, past the pay station and turn to the right (east) to a locked gate on the gravel road. (park here) There is a tule patch to the left of the levee; the bird was viewed just past the tule patch.

Cheers,

John Lewis
Chico

Back to top
Date: 10/12/17 10:33 am
From: 'Alvaro Jaramillo' <chucao...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] SF-San Mateo pelagic this weekend
County birders

The last pelagic of the season, this Saturday we should cover bits of both counties. This has been a good year for Flesh-foot, which we saw last weekend. We are hoping for Short-tailed Shearwater as well, and who knows what else. We are still looking for our first Streaked Shearwater! Recently numbers of Buller’s have been high, as have South Polar Skua. And traditionally chances for Laysan Albatross, or better increase in October. We have seen some awesome rarities in October, so you never know.

Currently the weather forecast looks good, there are good winds going on now and tomorrow, and dying by Saturday morning.

Let me know if you are interested.

http://alvarosadventures.com/boat-trips/pelagics/

good birding,

Alvaro

Alvaro Jaramillo

<mailto:<alvaro...> <alvaro...>

www.alvarosadventures.com

Back to top
Date: 10/12/17 9:44 am
From: Frances Oliver <hummer52...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [CB] S Mateo/Alameda/Merced/Madera/SF
Sorry about that!

Frances

> On Oct 12, 2017, at 12:16 PM, Frances Oliver <hummer52...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> wrote:
>
> Fantastic!
>

> Frances
>
>> On Oct 12, 2017, at 10:39 AM, John Luther <aplomado-falcon...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> wrote:
>>

>> Hey Birders,
>>
>> Monday night I returned from a wonderful week in Virginia and N Carolina celebrating my grandson Max's 8th birthday. Tuesday, Oct 10, I was happy to see the Dusky Warbler still present in San Mateo Co at Coyote Point. It took over 2 hours to be found by another birder, but was well worth the wait. I then zipped over to Alameda Co to Ardenwood Historic Ranch in Fremont and saw the continuing Bay-breasted Warbler as it was being looked at by others.
>>
>> Oct 11 I headed for Merced Co and found the Franklin's Gull continuing at Fisherman Point on the southeast side of San Luis Reservoir at about 9 AM. It was on the shore with other gulls. Then off to Madera Co where the 2 Surf Scoters were continuing for the third day at the Madera Wastewater Treatment Plant ponds as well described by Gary Woods who found these birds for the second county record. The day was young so off to San Francisco. As others have reported the McCown's Longspur was still present at Crissy Field and extremely cooperative as it was being looked at by others. The drive home was slow as usual when leaving SF, but a very satisfying day.
>>
>> John Luther
>> Oakland

Back to top
Date: 10/12/17 9:17 am
From: Frances Oliver <hummer52...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Fantastic!

Frances

> On Oct 12, 2017, at 10:39 AM, John Luther <aplomado-falcon...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> wrote:
>
> Hey Birders,
>
> Monday night I returned from a wonderful week in Virginia and N Carolina celebrating my grandson Max's 8th birthday. Tuesday, Oct 10, I was happy to see the Dusky Warbler still present in San Mateo Co at Coyote Point. It took over 2 hours to be found by another birder, but was well worth the wait. I then zipped over to Alameda Co to Ardenwood Historic Ranch in Fremont and saw the continuing Bay-breasted Warbler as it was being looked at by others.
>
> Oct 11 I headed for Merced Co and found the Franklin's Gull continuing at Fisherman Point on the southeast side of San Luis Reservoir at about 9 AM. It was on the shore with other gulls. Then off to Madera Co where the 2 Surf Scoters were continuing for the third day at the Madera Wastewater Treatment Plant ponds as well described by Gary Woods who found these birds for the second county record. The day was young so off to San Francisco. As others have reported the McCown's Longspur was still present at Crissy Field and extremely cooperative as it was being looked at by others. The drive home was slow as usual when leaving SF, but a very satisfying day.
>
> John Luther
> Oakland

Back to top

Date: 10/11/17 1:51 am
From: Joseph Morlan <jmorlan...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] McCown's Longspur at Crissy Field in San Francisco
First County Record. Found 9 October by Hugh Cotter. Photos:

https://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/McCown'sLongspurP1120785.htm

Look along the trail near the beach west of the pond.

Also DUSKY WARBLER still present yesterday 10 October, at Coyote Point
County Park, San Mateo County. Along the channel north of the pump station
near a large metal pipe.
--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA

------------------------------------
Posted by: Joseph Morlan <jmorlan...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
<countybirders-digest...>
<countybirders-fullfeatured...>

<countybirders-unsubscribe...>

Back to top
Date: 10/10/17 3:50 pm
From: <derosester...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] Clay-colored Sparrow in Nevada County
Hi County Birders,

At 11:30 this morning, Steve and I had a first winter Clay-colored Sparrow on Rosemary Lane at the GPS coordinates 39.05428, -121.17782. It was feeding in the grass on the right side of the road and periodically flying into the largest coffee berry bush on the left side. I believe it is a first county record for this bird. Photos are in my eBird report for today.

Good birding,
Diane Rose
Grass Valley

Back to top
Date: 10/9/17 7:27 pm
From: <cropwatch...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] Madera surf scoters
Today I stumbled upon a second county record surf scoter at the Madera WTP and photographed it (in eBird report). (Chris Hiatt found the first record in November of 2011 which died quickly from botulism). I let some people know about it and Jeff Seay stopped by there on his way home and found a second one and photographed them together! The Madera WTP is easy to get into. Just sign in at their office in the log book and go in through a gate in the chain link fence on the Ave 13 side of the complex and follow that road to the gate on the left leading out to the ponding complex. They don't need any advance notice or anything like the Fresno one does. On the far west end of the ponding complex there are three ponds full of water and the birds were in the southeast quarter of the middle pond. The one I was photographing spent more time under water than above, so you might need to spend some time scanning to get them. The second bird that Jeff got was actually asleep while I was there but I didn't realize that at the time so thankfully he went by there to check it out this evening. They should stick around for another day, not like Chris's bird that keeled over right away:-) Gary Woods-Fresno

Back to top
Date: 10/6/17 1:05 pm
From: <al_demar...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] SM Chestnutside imm 9amish coyote Pt trees/ditch between GC & pond/fresh marsh Al DeM
Write a message...

Back to top
Date: 10/6/17 1:03 pm
From: <al_demar...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] SM Blkpoll Warb weeds between Freshwtr pond & trees/ditch south of golf course Coyote Pt8amish
Write a message...

Back to top
Date: 10/5/17 3:32 pm
From: <al_demar...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] SCL Ulistac Tennessee Warb @ 1137 in Euc just south of North entrance Al DeM
Write a message...

Back to top
Date: 10/5/17 3:30 pm
From: <al_demar...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] SCL Ulistac Blkpoll(Pine?) Warb @1005 ~150m south of Sta#2 Al DeMartini
Write a message...

Back to top
Date: 9/30/17 1:30 pm
From: John Luther <aplomado-falcon...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] Phil Vireo Santa Cruz Co
Hey Birders,
Went to Rancho Del Oso Nature Center in Santa Cruz Co on the coast just south of Ano Nuevo on south side of  Waddell Creek (although creek not in sight here).  Four of us saw the continuing Philadelphia Vireo that Scott and Linda Terrill found yesterday Sep 29.  We saw it in the willows on both sides of the trail at 8:20 AM just before the first wooden board walk after leaving the parking area for the Nature Center.
John LutherOakland

Back to top
Date: 9/27/17 11:36 am
From: <al_demar...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] SM im Prairie Warb fennel patch Shorebird Prk Foster Cty 830a
Write a message...

Back to top
Date: 9/26/17 3:38 pm
From: Jim Lomax <sdrib...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] Contra Costa County
’s up, dogs?

Trying to get ready to leave the country for 6 weeks to South America so haven’t been birding much lately, but notably I did go down to look for the reported bird in Kings County on September 23rd and was lucky enough, after John Sterling saw it fly across the road and land on a barb wire fence, to see the SCISSOR-TAILED FLYCATCHER. It stayed only a day, apparently, and was gone.

So today, I got up to do my “old man’s run” but checked my email first. I jumped in the car and took off to Richmond meeting John Luther, Dave Quady, and another birder at the Richmond Water Treatment Plant off the Richmond Parkway where we had very good looks at the bird Albert Linkowski found yesterday and Aaron Maizlish found again this morning, a beautiful AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVER. It was in a pond on the west side of the office complex (where you sign in for permission to bird there).

Never got to the run.

“Truckin’ like the do-dah man”,

Jim Lomax
Solitary Birder
from No Particular Place

Not at all sure where I’ve been, but I’m not starting over again.

Back to top
Date: 9/26/17 10:23 am
From: DEBRA SHEARWATER <debi...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] County Seabirding: MTY & SCZ
Howdy, County Birders,

Birders on Shearwater Journeys’ September 24 Monterey Bay pelagic trip had another fine day at sea. Highlights included great views of BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS; PINK-FOOTED, FLESH-FOOTED, BULLER’S and SOOTY SHEARWATERS. Two BLACK-VENTED SHEARWATERS made a fast pass on return to the harbor. The Flesh-footed Shearwater gave a great show at the stern of the vessel. Photographic images were made with three species of shearwaters in flight in one frame!

One SOUTH POLAR SKUA and a fair number of POMARINE and PARASITIC JAEAGERS were harassing gulls or terns. A few more CASSIN’S AUKLETS had arrived, as compared to the September 22 trip. There seems to be krill deep in the water column. It if moves closer to the surface, these early buggers will be right on top of it! Three TUFTED PUFFINS were a good find.

Two SURFBIRDS were along the CG jetty along with the usual BLACK TURNSTONES. A small pod of BOTTLENOSE DOLPHINS were just off Lover’s Point beach.

BLUE and HUMPBACK WHALES continue to feed in the bay. RISSO’S and LONG-BEAKED COMMON DOLPHINS were milling about.

Seabirds were recorded in both Monterey and Santa Cruz Counties. This is the at least the second record of Flesh-footed Shearwater in Santa Cruz County this season.

Upcoming trips with spaces available include:

*SEP 30 with Alex Rinkert, Nick Levendosky, Scott & Linda Terrill, Clay Kempf
OCT 8 with Alex Rinkert, Nick Levendosky, Clay Kempf, Scott & Linda Terrill

Spaces are available on both trips. We meet at 7 a.m. and return about 3 p.m. For reservations email me: <debi...> <mailto:<debi...>

*PLEASE NOTE: SEP 30th is our annual SANTA CRUZ COUNTY pelagic trip! We’ve already seen some great SCZ County seabirds: FLESH-FOOTED SHEARWATER, SOUTH POLAR SKUA, SABINE’S GULL, ASHY STORM-PETREL, GUADALUPE, CRAVERI’S and SCRIPPS’S MURRELETS, and NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH and AMERICAN REDSTART! This trip is $105 and is a regular trip from 7 am to 3 pm.

Living the Salt Life and heading for Tropical Birds!
Debi Shearwater

DEBRA SHEARWATER
Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
PO Box 190
Hollister, CA 95024
831.637.8527
<debi...>
www.shearwaterjourneys.com
www.shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com

Celebrating 42 Years of Seabirding with Shearwater Journeys
Siberia’s Forgotten Coast & Spoon-billed Sandpiper-2019
Galapagos Islands: 30 October - 12 November 2019

Back to top
Date: 9/25/17 11:49 am
From: <dan_cooper_90042...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] Tricolored Heron, lower SAR, Orange Co.
[cross-posting from OCBirds]
From visiting bird guide James Smith:

"We just had a juv Tricolored Heron flying north over a drainage on Adams Ave, Costa Mesa [around 8:30 AM]. Couldn't stop because of traffic. Just to clarify the Heron flew over the drainage on Adams between Ranger and Shanter Roads, apparently just outside Costa Mesa but near the town line."

Sounds like this was along the lower Santa Ana River north of Fairview Park, toward the 405 Fwy. I'm sure locals know how to best access it (I don't, sorry!).

Dan Cooper

Ventura Co.

Back to top
Date: 9/23/17 1:25 pm
From: DEBRA SHEARWATER <debi...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] Seabirds: Monterey & Santa Cruz Counties: Sep. 22
Howdy, County Birders,

Shearwater Journeys had a wonderful Monterey Bay pelagic trip on Friday, SEP. 22. We covered both Monterey and Santa Cruz Counties.

A few of the seabird highlights included:
BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS - both counties
PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATER - both counties
BULLER’S SHEARWATER- both counties
BLACK-VENTED SHEARWATER - Monterey only
SOUTH POLAR SKUA - Monterey only
POMARINE JAEGER - Monterey only
PARASITIC JAEGER- Monterey only
LONG-TAILED JAEGER- Monterey only
SABINE’S GULL- Monterey only
PIGEON GUILLEMOT- Monterey only
CASSIN’S AUKLET - both counties
RHINOCEROS AUKLET- both counties
TUFTED PUFFIN- both counties

In addition, we saw BLUE, FIN, and many HUMPBACK WHALES; RISSO’S and PACIFIC WHITE-SIDED DOLPHINS.

Spaces are still available on these upcoming MONTEREY BAY trips:
SEP 24 with Jim Holmes, Nick Levendosky, Alex Rinkert, Scott & Linda Terrill, Debi Shearwater
*SEP 30 with Alex Rinkert, Nick Levendosky, Scott & Linda Terrill, Clay Kempf
OCT 8 with Alex Rinkert, Nick Levendosky, Clay Kempf, Scott & Linda Terrill

Spaces are available on all trips. We meet at 7 a.m. and return about 3 p.m. For reservations email me: <debi...> <mailto:<debi...>

*PLEASE NOTE: SEP 30th is our annual SANTA CRUZ COUNTY pelagic trip! We’ve already seen some great SCZ County seabirds: FLESH-FOOTED SHEARWATER, SOUTH POLAR SKUA, SABINE’S GULL, ASHY STORM-PETREL, GUADALUPE, CRAVERI’S and SCRIPPS’S MURRELETS, and NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH and AMERICAN REDSTART! This trip is $105 and is a regular trip from 7 am to 3 pm.

Living the Salt Life and SeaBirding for Science,

Date: 9/21/17 11:30 pm
From: Kent Van Vuren <VanVurenK...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] Black-Throated Sparrow at O'Neill Forebay
Hi All,

This afternoon I was lucky enough to see and photograph the second county record of Black-throated Sparrow at the ONeill Forebay, Merced County.

It was seen at the San Luis Creek (west side) of the forebay. Directions are: Go to the boat ramp launch area, walk to the end of the beach to the north where
another paved trail heads to the group campground. The bird was first seen in a tobacco plant about 100 ft. from the start of this part of the trail.
I also had a flock of 7 Blue-gray Gnatcatchers in another area which is the most i have had in one spot ever in all my years of birding California.
Some migrants at Basalt campground. Probably the best sighting being of 25 Barn Owls.

a poor photo of the bird is at:

"https://www.flickr.com/photos/groucho_24/36568969143/in/dateposted-public/" title=647A2945"

Kent Van Vuren
Prunedale, CA

------------------------------------

Date: 9/21/17 8:52 pm
From: Jim Lomax <sdrib...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] Del Norte and Santa Clara Counties
’s up, dogs?

Decided to take a day trip to Del Norte County yesterday and stuck closer to home today.

Del Norte County Wednesday September 20th

Left home at 0200 and arrived in Crescent City a little after 0800. Met Steve Stump out in the Pacific Shores subdivision (which was never built) north of “The Narrows”, a water area separating Lake Earl from Lake Talawa. We continued south on Tell Boulevard to the end of the pavement. Here we walked south along the dirt road and as we rounded a bend, we had great views of the continuing LARK BUNTING. Steve had found this bird a few days before.

We then drove over to the west side taking Tell Boulevard back north to west on Disteirath Drive and south on Cloudier Street. Slowly moving along we finally espied the SAY’S PHOEBE along the fence west of the road. He found this one a few days before too.

We also looked through the sparrow flocks off of Bailey Road but had no luck with the Clay-colored or Brewer’s Sparrows. Home by 2000 hrs.

Santa Barbara County Thursday September 21st

I first arrived at the east end of Monte Diablo Avenue in San Mateo to look for the reported Yellow-headed Blackbird.
It never showed. I then went over to Baylands Park off Caribbean Drive from Hwy 236. I got there about 1000 hrs and the few birders there left shortly after. So I looked for two hours along and in the vicinity of the Meadow Trail, not finding the bird I wanted. Near noon, under pressure of the afternoon commute, I was about to leave but another birder arrived and said he saw a yellowish warbler in one of the trees, not the bird I was looking for, but I went over to look for what he saw. It was gone so I poked around a little longer than I intended and he found a Yellow Warbler. I gave it a glance, but then noticed something moving a few feet above it. With binoculars I got soul-satisfying looks at the CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER. Very nice.

Stopped in Alviso to look for the Brewer’s Sparrow with limited time. Couldn’t find it in the 20 minutes I allowed myself then headed home getting stuck in the beginning of the commute anyway. Oh well, one out of three birds ain’t bad.

“Truckin’ like the do-dah man”,

Jim Lomax
Solitary Birder
from No Particular Place

Not at all sure where I’ve been, but I’m not starting over again.

Join us on Facebook!