CountyBirders
Received From Subject
10/15/19 9:02 pm Bob Toleno <bob...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] Yahoo Groups is going away
10/8/19 8:39 pm DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] SCZ COUNTY: NAZCA BOOBY OCT. 5
10/2/19 4:32 pm DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] SEP. 29, 2019 HALF MOON BAY PELAGIC TRIP REPORT BY COUNTIES
10/2/19 1:24 pm DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] MTY & SCZ COUNTY SEABIRDS: SEP. 27, 2019
9/29/19 11:33 am DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] SBT COUNTY: WHITE-FACED IBIS
9/25/19 12:20 am James Lomax <sdrib...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] Lassen and Siskiyou Counties

Back to top
Date: 10/15/19 9:02 pm
From: Bob Toleno <bob...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] Yahoo Groups is going away
I just wanted to give a heads up to the members and moderators of this
group that six days from now (October 21), new content may no longer be to
be uploaded to any Yahoo Group, and as of December 14, all previously
posted content will be removed:

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/groups/SLN31010.html

As this is the only birding listserve that i'm a member of that hasn't yet
made the switch to groups.io it seemed relevant to post this here. I don't
know who the list moderators are, but they are may want to take action
sooner rather than later. Also, if anyone knows of other birding lists that
haven't made the switch to groups.io yet, you might want to inform the
moderators there, as well.

Bob Toleno
Hayward

Back to top
Date: 10/8/19 8:39 pm
From: DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] SCZ COUNTY: NAZCA BOOBY OCT. 5
Howdy, County Birders,

Shearwater Journeys’ October 5, 2019 pelagic trip had several highlights, including a NAZCA BOOBY (photos), spotted by out-of-state birders, Dave and Tammy McQuade. This booby was in Santa Cruz County! It didn’t stick around at all, just flying up the side of the boat, and straight on to wherever it was headed!

We saw most of the regular fall seabirds: Black-footed Albatross; Northern Fulmar; Pink-footed, Buller’s, and Sooty Shearwaters; South Polar Skua and Pomarine Jaeger; Sabine’s Gull; Common Murre; Pigeon Guillemot; Cassin’s and Rhinoceros Auklets and the Peregrine Falcon on the radio tower along Cannery Row.

A BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKE and TUFTED PUFFIN were surprises, both in Santa Cruz County. No storm-petrels at all were found.

Marine mammals were pretty exciting with an albino Risso’s dolphin just outside of the harbor; one blue whale, and about a dozen humpback whales were found. Northern right whale dolphins and Pacific white-sided dolphins rounded out the cetaceans for the day.

Many thanks to the birders who from near and far who joined us on this pelagic trip. The leaders on this date were: Jim Holmes, Alex Rinkert, Marcel Holyoak, and Debi Shearwater.

We still have a couple spaces open on our next Monterey trip, Friday, October 11. Also, two birders have had an emergency and had to cancel the last trip of the season, Sunday, October 20. If you are interested in either trip, please email me: <debi...> <mailto:<debi...>.

Living the Salt Life,
Debi Shearwater

DEBRA SHEARWATER
Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
PO Box 190
Hollister, CA 95024
831.637.8527
<debi...>
www.shearwaterjourneys.com
www.shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com

Celebrating 44 Years of Seabirding with Shearwater Journeys
Siberia’s Forgotten Coast & Spoon-billed Sandpiper- 23 June - 6 July 2020
Northeast Passage: Northern Sea Route 27 July - 22 August 2020

Back to top
Date: 10/2/19 4:32 pm
From: DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] SEP. 29, 2019 HALF MOON BAY PELAGIC TRIP REPORT BY COUNTIES
Hello, County Birders,

After blowing at gale force all day and into the evening of September 28th (forcing us to cancel our Half Moon Bay departure that day), it was hard to believe that the seas would actually lay down enough for us to get out the next day.

The breakdown of species for San Mateo and San Francisco Counties is at the bottom of this email.

Much to our delight, the seas laid down nicely, and we had a beautiful day, September 29, 2019 on the Shearwater Journeys’ pelagic trip from Half Moon Bay.

I’d like to say that the light morph WEDGE-TAILED SHEARWATER was the highlight of the day, but sadly it was only seen by two birders on the boat. Perhaps, it will be found on another trip this fall. It’s possible because we’ve done it before. I’m unsure whether this shearwater was in San Mateo or San Francisco County. We are working on that.

Nevertheless, Shearwater Journeys had a fantastic pelagic trip with nearly 100 BULLER’S SHEARWATERS, one SHORT-TAILED SHEARWATER, 18 WILSON’S STORM-PETRELS, 49 ASHY STORM-PETRELS, and 26 BLACK STORM-PETRELS. The storm-petrels, shearwaters, jaegers, and SOUTH POLAR SKUAS showed well in the stern where many folks obtained good images. SABINE’S GULLS were scarce with only 3 recorded. Only one ARCTIC TERN was recorded. BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSSES showed well and NORTHERN/PACIFIC FULMAR numbers increased to 22.

A few CASSIN’S AUKLETS, plenty of RHINOCEROS AUKLETS, 2 TUFTED PUFFINS and nearly 2000 COMMON MURRES rounded out the alcids.

Numbers of phalaropes were low with only 1 RED-NECKED and 3 REDS.

The cetacean show was dominated by as many as 8 BLUE WHALES and 25 HUMPBACK WHALES, although one very friendly humpback whale stole the show— popping up and looking at us repeatedly from one side of the boat to the other. I haven’t seen such a friendly humpback in a few years.

Even though the sea surface temperatures at Monterey Bay averaged 60-62 F all day on Friday, September 27th, the SST’s at Half Moon Bay only two days later were much cooler, averaging 53-55 F. Lots of mixing going on! We birded in both San Mateo and San Francisco Counties.

Shearwater Journeys’ next trip with space available is Friday, October 11 departing from Monterey. Email me for a reservation: <debi...> <mailto:<debi...>.

SEP. 29, 2019 SHEARWATER JOURNEYS’ PELAGIC TRIP: BIRDS IN SAN FRANCISCO COUNTY:
BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS- 12
NORTHERN FULMAR- 14
PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATER- 41
*WEDGE-TAILED SHEARWATER- 1, COUNTY TO BE DETERMINED
BULLER’S SHEARWATER- 61
SOOTY SHEARWATER- 241
SHORT-TAILED SHEARWATER- 1
WILSON’S STORM-PETREL- 16
ASHY STORM-PETREL- 49
BLACK STORM-PETREL- 25
BRANDT’S CORMORANT- 4
BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER- 1
RED PHALAROPE- 1
SOUTH POLAR SKUA- 8
POMARINE JAEGER- 5
PARASITIC JAEGER- 2
LONG-TAILED JAEGER- 3
SABINE’S GULL- 3
COMMON MURRE- 115
CASSIN’S AUKLET- 6
RHINOCEROS AUKLET- 20
TUFTED PUFFIN- 1

SEP. 29, 2019 SHEARWATER JOURNEYS’ PELAGIC TRIP: BIRDS IN SAN MATEO COUNTY:
BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS- 5
NORTHERN FULMAR- 8
PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATER- 27
*WEDGE-TAILED SHEARWATER- 1, COUNTY TO BE DETERMINED
BULLER’S SHEARWATER- 37
SOOTY SHEARWATER- 91
SHORT-TAILED SHEARWATER- 2
WILSON’S STORM-PETREL- 2
ASHY STORM-PETREL- 0
BLACK STORM-PETREL- 2
BRANDT’S CORMORANT- 33
RED-NECKED PHALAROPE- 1
RED PHALAROPE- 1
SOUTH POLAR SKUA- 1
POMARINE JAEGER- 10
PARASITIC JAEGER-5
LONG-TAILED JAEGER- 0
SABINE’S GULL- 0
COMMON MURRE- 1690
CASSIN’S AUKLET-3
RHINOCEROS AUKLET- 9
TUFTED PUFFIN- 1

Many thanks to the birders who joined us on the fabulous day at sea! The leaders for this trip included: Peter Pyle, Scott Terrill, Linda Terrill, Ryan Terrill, Steve Tucker, Steve Hampton, and Debi Shearwater.

Date: 10/2/19 1:24 pm
From: DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] MTY & SCZ COUNTY SEABIRDS: SEP. 27, 2019
Howdy, COUNTY Birders,

Shearwater Journeys had a spectacular pelagic trip on Friday, September 27, 2019 on Monterey Bay. Seas were so calm and glassy that they were almost “greasy.” It was one of our very best marine weather days of the entire season.

Things kicked off to an amazing start when ace leader, Alex Rinkert, spotted a SABINE’S GULL, quickly followed by an ASHY STORM-PETREL before we reached the bell buoy at Point Pinos! This was an omen of seabirds to come and a prelude to the amazing seabird counts which followed from shore at Point Pinos during the next two days. The first two BLACK-VENTED SHEARWATERS of the season were found in this area. They were closely scrutinized for Manx, but are confirmed Black-vented. By the day’s end, we had tallied nearly 600 ASHY STORM-PETRELS.

A very strong south wind and northbound current had preceded our trip on Thursday, bringing warm water and most importantly, FOOD, to our area. Scattered flocks of SABINE’S GULLS, ARCTIC TERNS, RHINOCEROS AUKLETS, and PARASITIC JAEGERS, and BLACK STORM-PETRELS were found in abundance. They appeared to be feeding on baby sardines or baby anchovies. At one point, I remember thinking that we must be looking at nearly the entire population of Rhinoceros Auklets in California— there were so many of them. Scattered CASSIN’S AUKLETS were showing well, too.

Two TUFTED PUFFINS, both in Santa Cruz County showed very nicely. This is not an easy bird to tick in SCZ County. We’ve found them on at least 50% of our trips this season.

BULLER’S SHEARWATER numbers increased which is always exciting. Fishermen say that they associate with tuna! By golly, later in the day, I spotted a large group of very large BLUEFIN TUNA, also feeding! The sea surface temperature remained at 60-61 F throughout the day.

We had a grand slam on the jaegers: PARASITIC, LONG-TAILED, and POMARINE, as well as 10 SOUTH POLAR SKUAS!

It was a wonderful day at sea! Many thanks to all of the folks who joined this sold out trip, and to the leaders: Nick Levendosky, Alex Rinkert, and Dave Pereksta.

Our OCTOBER 11 MONTEREY BAY trip still has spaces open. Email me, if you would like to join us: <debi...> <mailto:<debi...>.

For those who might be interested, I attach the county lists below.

Species
SCZ
MTY
Northern Pintail
12
0
Eared Grebe
1
0
Western Grebe
0
3
Black Turnstone
0
3
Red-necked Phalarope
4
47
Red Phalarope
1
1
South Polar Skua
9
1
Pomarine Jaeger
8
3
Parasitic Jaeger
1
3
Long-tailed Jaeger
5
0
Parasitic/Long-tailed Jaeger
2
0
jaeger sp.
2
0
Common Murre
1,826
206
Pigeon Guillemot
0
1
Cassin's Auklet
3
16
Rhinoceros Auklet
763
603
Tufted Puffin
2
0
Sabine's Gull
73
102
Heermann's Gull
0
40
Western Gull
60
259
California Gull
51
109
gull sp.
50
110
Arctic Tern
73
54
Common/Arctic Tern
0
15
Elegant Tern
0
88
Red-throated Loon
0
1
loon sp.
0
1
Black-footed Albatross
4
0
Wilson's Storm-Petrel
2
1
Ashy Storm-Petrel
262
315
Black Storm-Petrel
0
3
Northern Fulmar
4
0
Pink-footed Shearwater
288
94
Buller's Shearwater
22
32
Sooty Shearwater
2,760
1,053
Black-vented Shearwater
0
2
Brandt's Cormorant
2
280
Pelagic Cormorant
0
3
Double-crested Cormorant
0
1
Brown Pelican
0
38
Great Egret
0
3
Belted Kingfisher
0
1

Living the Salt Life,
Debi Shearwater

P.S. On Sunday, September 29, 2019 I saw a light morph WEDGE-TAILED SHEARWATER on our pelagic trip departing from Half Moon Bay. This will be reported on other list serves, but I wanted to mention it here.

Date: 9/29/19 11:33 am
From: DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] SBT COUNTY: WHITE-FACED IBIS
Howdy, County Birders,

There’s been quite a bit of birding around San Benito County lately, what with the bird festival and pelagic trips.

A WHITE-FACED IBIS was found at Paicines Reservoir and was still present as of yesterday, September 23 when I was there. Ibis can be a tough bird to find in San Benito County. About 40 Great Egrets, as well as a number of Great Blue Herons and a few Snowy Egrets are also present. I’m guessing that they could be gorging on the thousands of Western toads that showed up earlier this summer. WHITE PELICANS are also present.

On September 21, Mike Parr, President of the American Bird Conservancy, found an EASTERN KINGBIRD at Paicines Reservoir. This represents only the second county record for this species. It did not stick around— even until the end of the day.

Daniel George and I looked for the Eastern Kingbird on Sunday, September 22, after the pelagic trip, but failed to find it. We did find a couple of CASSIN’S KINGBIRDS, and a WILLOW FLYCATCHER.

The Paicines Reservoir sits on private property, Paicines Ranch. Birding can be done from the Highway 25 pullout. Do not cross any fences as doing so would be trespassing on the ranch. The ranch manager is aware of the kingbird.

Along Santa Ana Valley Road, the CASSIN’S KINGBIRDS continue. Three FERRUGINOUS HAWKS have arrived for the winter. The BALD EAGLE pair, Bob & Bernadette, are at their usual winter station, as are the GOLDEN EAGLE pair, Iolair & Aileen.

The usual fall migrants and winter arrivals are taking place throughout the county.

Happy Trails,

Date: 9/25/19 12:20 am
From: James Lomax <sdrib...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] Lassen and Siskiyou Counties
’s up dogs?

With little going on at the time, Sheree and I decided to go north on Friday, September 20th. Originally we were going to Lassen to look for the Pectoral Sandpiper that Steve Stump found but before we left we altered our plans to look for the Parasitic Jaeger that Kevin Spencer found at Tule Lake in Siskiyou County.

Lassen County Sunday September 22nd

Yes, we did go to Siskiyou. No, we did not find the Jaeger. Yes, Sheree did add some birds to her county list. No, I did not. So after two days in Siskiyou, we went over to Lassen Saturday afternoon September 21st. After checking into our motel in Susanville, I got a text message from Frances Oliver that an hour before, Steve Stump found a new warbler at the Fleming Unit east of Susanville. I called him and he was still there. We hurried over. No CHP in sight. Arriving about 1830, we all searched the trees lining the day use picnic area, but we could not relocate before dark.

So today, the 22nd, we were back over to the Fleming Unit about 0800, and along with Steve who had arrived just before us, began searching again. After an hour or so, Sheree and I went over to the fish pond area. We just arrived when Steve called that he had relocated the warbler. We were back in two minutes and after a few anxious seconds, finally espied the beautiful BLACK & WHITE WARBLER. Then it flew away. About 45 minutes later, Frank Hall arrived and we all resumed the search. Within the hour Frank spotted it again and we watched it for about fifteen minutes before it moved out of sight. Sheree and I left. We went to the west end of Miller Road in southwest Susanville, parked, and walked the Bizz Johnson Trail. In the riparian forested area 600 meters from the parking area, we pished up a HERMIT THRUSH, which, surprisingly, was a new bird for both of us and the 58th county for me. Whoop de doo. Spent the night in Susanville again.

Siskiyou County Monday September 23rd

Arrived in the county about 0830 and birded the Shasta Valley Wildlife Area south of Ball Mountain Little Shasta Road east of Montague. Jim and Debbie Parker had a Pectoral Sandpiper here on September 19th. I needed one bird (and have since July of 2018) to reach my goal of 250 for this county and turn it red. Nothing came of birding on the 20th and 21st. And nothing was new in this Wildlife Area today either. We tried Deer Mountain Road for Sooty Grouse. Walked and drove it. Nothing. Finally we went back to Lake Shastina where we had looked for shorebirds two days ago. We searched the south west end of the lake, south and west of the boat ramp, which had the best shorebird habitat. A few Dowitchers and peeps, hundreds of ducks, no new birds. As we were leaving the area, we stopped and turned east on a short dirt road that led to a little parking lot. Here, I walked east to the south east side of the hill with the boat ramp, and down onto the mud flat roughly 300 meters from the water line. Scanning, I observed a few more Dowitchers, a couple of peeps, an American Avocet, Killdeer, and one PECTORAL SANDPIPER. Amazing. It was almost 1900 and the last shot at a new bird. I walked to within a 100 feet for a very close beautiful look and watched this bird for 10 minutes not believing my luck. Spent a happy night in Weed.

Left today, September 24th for home through Trinity County. All the usual were there: slow drivers, flagger ahead placards, prepare to stop signs, more slow drivers, crawling big rigs, 18,742 vehicles ahead of me, and, of course, no new birds. Home by 1830.

“Truckin’ like the do-dah man”,

Jim Lomax
Solitary Birder
from No Particular Place

Not at all sure where I’ve been, but I’m not starting over again.

Join us on Facebook!