CountyBirders
Received From Subject
12/16/17 5:41 pm Jim Lomax <sdrib...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] San Diego, Los Angeles, and Inyo Counties
12/15/17 8:29 pm Michelle B Townsley <ms.townsley...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] San Diego County
12/11/17 5:23 pm <kschnei1...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] American Dipper, Colusa County (11 Dec)
12/11/17 4:52 pm John Sterling <jsterling...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] Nazca Booby
12/10/17 10:27 pm ruth <ruthier...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] Goldeneyes at Donner Lake Nevada Co
12/10/17 10:21 pm Jim Lomax <sdrib...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] Yolo County
12/8/17 2:55 pm Jim Lomax <sdrib...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] San Bernardino, Santa Barbara, Inyo, and Mono Counties
12/8/17 11:48 am Linda Pittman <pittmanl...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] Tricolored Heron at Bolsa Chica
12/5/17 2:16 pm John Sterling <jsterling...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] Great mono birds
12/5/17 8:45 am John Sterling <jsterling...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] Tinnemaha Lake Birds
12/4/17 10:31 pm <al_demar...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] ALA Pac Gold Plover plus swallows & Trop Kingbird at Frank's Dump & near W Winton
12/1/17 4:05 pm <kschnei1...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] Rusty Blackbird at Baker sewage ponds, SBD County (1 Dec)
12/1/17 9:50 am John Sterling <jsterling...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] Gb ani
11/27/17 2:29 pm Jim Lomax <sdrib...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] Yolo County
11/27/17 9:47 am 'Alvaro Jaramillo' <chucao...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> RE: [CB] Taimyr (Lesser Black-backed) Gull Sonoma
11/27/17 9:35 am ruth <ruthier...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] Taimyr (Lesser Black-backed) Gull Sonoma
11/23/17 9:12 pm Jim Lomax <sdrib...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] San Diego County
11/23/17 8:50 pm Jim Lomax <sdrib...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> Re: [CB] Santa Cruz and Mariposa Counties
11/23/17 5:02 pm John Sterling <jsterling...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] Red footed booby
11/23/17 4:35 pm Jim Lomax <sdrib...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] Santa Cruz and Mariposa Counties
11/19/17 7:29 pm <teasterla...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] Red-footed Booby images
11/16/17 11:36 pm Jim Lomax <sdrib...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...> [CB] San Mateo County

Back to top
Date: 12/16/17 5:41 pm
From: Jim Lomax <sdrib...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] San Diego, Los Angeles, and Inyo Counties
’s up, dogs?

Down to SoCal again for a family event leaving here a day early hoping the booby stayed on the buoy overnight unlike the one at Dana Point a couple of weeks ago.

San Diego County Tuesday December 12th

Arrived at the end of Grand Caribe off Silver Strand at 0430. John Luther arrived a little latter and we waited for light. When it was light enough to see, there were a dozen other birders also there. John spotted a bird on the buoy and we all got on the NAZCA BOOBY. When it flew south past us, I followed it and someone said there was another booby on the buoy. Sure enough. Eventually, I saw three and the rest is now history. From there I arrived in Balboa Park and began looking for the Pewee. Then Curtis Marantz called and I responded to Pepper Park to ride a boat out to within 40 feet of one of the boobies. Very nice. Thank you Dave Povey for your generosity and patience. In the evening I failed to find the owl on Fiesta Island.

San Diego County Wednesday December 13th

This morning I was at the “spot” behind the four sheds next to the lawn bowling area in Balboa Park at 0630. Another birder arrived at 0635 and the GREATER PEWEE arrived at 0645 in a snag at the top of a Eucalyptus Tree. We watched it for 15 minutes as it called, then I left for Los Angeles.

Los Angeles County Wednesday December 13th

I arrived at Almansor Park in Alhambra about 0940 and parked, then walked over to the ponds. Within a few minutes the RUSTY BLACKBIRD was about with Brewer’s Blackbirds. Back to San Diego.

San Diego County Wednesday December 13th

Since Matt Grube saw them earlier in the day, I parked near the dog park on Fiesta Island and hiked over the berm. I called Matt and he sent me a pin point map on where he saw them. I walked the horrid vegetation full of thorns and stickers (another pair of socks for the trash) for half an hour when suddenly, about 100 feet away, a SHORT-EARED OWL jumped up and started flying around. After a few minutes it flew over another berm separating another field and a second Short-eared Owl joined with both flying around for a few minutes. I left.

Spent Thursday the 14th driving up to Bishop checking the reservoirs and lakes in Inyo County, then Crowley Reservoir in Mono. Nothing of note.

Inyo County Friday December 15th

I went to Bridgeport in Mono to look for a Horned Grebe but the reservoir was frozen except a small area at the north end and a little larger area at the southern end. Could not find one. There was, however, a nice Pacific Loon and the continuing Black-legged Kittiwake. Checked Crowley again for a reported Eurasian Wigeon. Nada. Finally parked along Lower Rock Creek Road two tenths of a mile south of Gorge Road, west of Hwy 395, and north of Bishop, about 1500. Around 1615 other birders began arriving, including Nancy and Ron Overholtz, numbering some dozen in all. We scanned the fields to the west of the road. At 1656, one, then two SHORT-EARED OWLS suddenly appeared over the fields hunting. Home by 0030 today.

“Truckin’ like the do-dah man”,

Jim Lomax
Solitary Birder
from No Particular Place

Not at all sure where I’ve been, but I’m not starting over again.

Back to top
Date: 12/15/17 8:29 pm
From: Michelle B Townsley <ms.townsley...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] San Diego County
After finding the NAZCA BOOBY yesterday we decided to see what else we could today. We saw the Booby again this morning while looking for the Reddish Egret with no luck there. The BOOBY was much further away than yesterday, but then again so were we.

We dipped on the Greater Pewee at Balboa Park but added 10 new San Diego County birds!
American Wigeon
Cedar Waxwing
White-tailed Kite
Lesser Scaup
Eared Grebe
Mountain Plover
Horned Lark
Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher
Short-eared Owl (lifer for Bob)
Northern Harrier

Getting away from the bad air in Ventura paid off with new birds and cleaner air.

Sincerely,

Michelle Townsley
Ventura County California
Sent from my iPhone

------------------------------------
Posted by: Michelle B Townsley <ms.townsley...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
<countybirders-digest...>
<countybirders-fullfeatured...>

<countybirders-unsubscribe...>

Back to top
Date: 12/11/17 5:23 pm
From: <kschnei1...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] American Dipper, Colusa County (11 Dec)
Hi folks,

This morning, I found a very cooperative AMERICAN DIPPER foraging in Mill Creek, just east of the M-10/Fouts Springs Road and best viewed from the side of the road, just south of the entrance to the Mill Creek Campground. This species is perhaps not unexpected here, but it isn't an easy one to find in Colusa County in my experience. There is only one observation in eBird for the whole county, from this same general area in 2001 by Bruce Deuel. A little more detail and some photos here:

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S41039020 http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S41039020

Good birding!

Ken Schneider
San Francisco

Back to top
Date: 12/11/17 4:52 pm
From: John Sterling <jsterling...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] Nazca Booby
I found it at sunset sitting on a white buoy with an orange circle directly off Attu Road but we are seeing it from grand Carib Park

Sent from my iPhone

John Sterling
530 908-3836
26 Palm Ave
Woodland, CA 95695

------------------------------------
Posted by: John Sterling <jsterling...>

Date: 12/10/17 10:27 pm
From: ruth <ruthier...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] Goldeneyes at Donner Lake Nevada Co
Hi Birders,

Been working not birding much but this afternoon driving home from
Truckee, birded the north end of Donner Lake, Truckee, Nevada County.
Found a handsome male Barrow's Goldeneye near the boat launch. Also a
male Common Goldeneye and female Bufflehead were further east on the
lake near shore. All 3 were county birds for me.

Stayed with friends in the Prosser area and only heard/saw 1 bird. A
Northern Raven. But it was 9 degrees last night. Clear and cold.

Happy Holidays and good luck on Xmas Counts,

Ruthie Rudesill

Kenwood CA

Back to top
Date: 12/10/17 10:21 pm
From: Jim Lomax <sdrib...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] Yolo County
’s up, dogs?

Arrived in Davis about 0730 this morning and proceeded to Eagle Place, parked, and began searching. Steve Hampton arrived about 0805 also looking. Near 0820 Steve called me and I responded to the area west of the west end of Eagle Place past the fence and north of the playground. Here in a Chinese Pistache Tree, Steve pointed out the continuing ORCHARD ORIOLE moving about feeding. Headed to the Vic Fazio Wildlife Area.

Walked out the trail from the entry road past the pump house joining another birder. A few others arrived. Finally an hour or so later a birder reported it close to where he was and we all gathered in the area. Then Michele Swartout spotted it. Took me another 25 minutes to finally get a good look at the continuing SWAMP SPARROW.

Home by noon.

Date: 12/8/17 2:55 pm
From: Jim Lomax <sdrib...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] San Bernardino, Santa Barbara, Inyo, and Mono Counties
’s up, dogs?

Went down to SoCal for my son’s Naval "change of command” ceremony and stayed for one grand-daughter’s birthday. On the way down, in between, and on the way back, Sheree and I looked for a few birds.

San Bernardino County Wednesday November 29th

Left home in the evening and arrived in Barstow around 0430 hrs. About 0640 when there was some light, we walked into the “quad” at the Barstow Community College, took a seat, and waited. About 0720 Sheree spotted the RUFOUS-BACKED ROBIN and we had a nice look for a while. Then, since it was still early in the day, we decided to cross the state.

Santa Barbara County Wednesday November 29th

Back on Hwy 58 from Barstow, southwest on Hwy 223 just east of Bakersfield, south on Hwy 99, west on Hwy 166, and south on Hwy 101 to Santa Maria and Waller Park where we watched the GARGANEY about noon. Spent the night in Ventura then down to San Diego.

Inyo County Tuesday December 5th

Picked Curtis Marantz up at his house and arrived in Baker, San Bernardino County where we, along with Tom Benson and a couple of other birders, didn’t find the Rusty Blackbird. Everyone left after a couple of hours with Curtis and I heading north through Shoshone to Furnace Creek in Death Valley. Took about an hour but we found the SANDHILL CRANE feeding on the 18th fairway 200 yards west of the clubhouse. Called Nancy Overholtz and met Jon Dunn, Nancy and Ron Overholtz, Chris and Rosanne Howard, and others at the Tinemaha Reservoir along Hwy 395 south of Big Pine. Here we walked along the north shore area and had very nice looks at the LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL. We looked along the dam and from other viewpoints, but missed the Red-necked Grebe. Rats. Got back to San Diego about 2200.

Inyo County Thursday December 7th

Sheree and I left San Diego about 0530 and took I-15 north to I-215 and arrived in Riverside about 0700. We went just north of Hwy 60 to the area of Hidden Springs off Pigeon Pass Road and parked at the intersection of Shadowridge Lane and Mesa Springs Way. Here there is a trail into the riparian. We walked in about 100 feet and as I looked up the directions on where to go, Sheree said, “here it is” and pointed out the Painted Redstart, again finding the bird first. Unfortunately, when I got home, I found that I already have seen this species in Riverside County on December 4th, 2001. Curtis Marantz and Eric Can’t-Remember-His-Last-Name arrived a few minutes after we saw it and we pointed out the direction last seen as we took off for Inyo.

Met Nancy and Ron Overholtz at their house in Bishop and proceeded to a private residence where Sheree, again, pointed out the bird we were looking for, an EASTERN PHOEBE.

Mono County Thursday December 7th

We arrived at June Lake along Hwy 158 about one and a half miles west of Hwy 395 and pulled into a pullout along the southeast side of the lake. Took about 30 minutes before Sheree said “there” and there was the RED-NECKED GREBE. (I must be going blind.) Also on the lake were a couple of Common Loons and a PACIFIC LOON which turned out to be new for me.

As the day was waning we arrived in Bridgeport about 1500 and drove along Sweet Water Road (Hwy 182) on the east side of Bridgeport Reservoir. As we sat parked near the north end contemplating missing this bird, Sheree said (again) “there in front of the dam” and there, swimming in the water, was the BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKE. Home via Reno by 2100.

I may have to take her more often.

Date: 12/8/17 11:48 am
From: Linda Pittman <pittmanl...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] Tricolored Heron at Bolsa Chica

Michele and I refound the Tricolored Heron at Bolsa Chica Ecologal Reserve. It was foraging below the horseshoe shaped green chain link fence just east of the bridge with the yellow booms (tidal gate?).

Linda Pittman
Wilton CA

Sent from my iPhone

------------------------------------
Posted by: Linda Pittman <pittmanl...>

Date: 12/5/17 2:16 pm
From: John Sterling <jsterling...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] Great mono birds
Just photographed an immature Black legged Kittiwake at Bridgeport Reservoir. It was in the small cove at the Bridgeport RV Park/Marina.

Also red necked grebe continues at June Lake in middle of lake.

Sent from my iPhone

John Sterling
530 908-3836
26 Palm Ave
Woodland, CA 95695

------------------------------------

Date: 12/5/17 8:45 am
From: John Sterling <jsterling...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] Tinnemaha Lake Birds
Lesser black backed Gull still here. Also a red necked Grebe towards the dam side of lake.

Sent from my iPhone

John Sterling
530 908-3836
26 Palm Ave
Woodland, CA 95695

------------------------------------

Date: 12/4/17 10:31 pm
From: <al_demar...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] ALA Pac Gold Plover plus swallows & Trop Kingbird at Frank's Dump & near W Winton
While helping on the Pacific Shorebird Survey today (12/4) Peter Metropolis & I had some birds of interest despite the wind & falcon activity at the Hayward Reg Shoreline/west end of W Winton area.
At Frank's Dump just after noon a nice Pacific Golden Plover was seen on the small NW-most islet with BbPl
flock that had other shorebirds accompanying including 2 Red Knot a Surfbird & a Ruddy Turnstone etc.
Unfortunately it was not a relaxed flock as a young Peregrine & a dark Merlin made repeated passes keeping us from getting photos. Between the raptors & the limited amount of exposed land overall #s were low but shorebird 'quality' was more than decent I guess. About 1035 we had 3 N-bound Tree Swallows on the walk toward Hayward Lndg & about 1315 4 more swallows also N-bound seen from near the trail head on W Winton included 2 Barn a Tree & one unknown (too briefly seen) swallows.
To end things as we drove off we noted a Tropical Kingbird on the wire across from Tiger Delivery (2820 I think) still near the end of W Winton just east of the south bend before the 1st parking area.
good birding & holidaze to all
Al DeMartini

Back to top
Date: 12/1/17 4:05 pm
From: <kschnei1...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] Rusty Blackbird at Baker sewage ponds, SBD County (1 Dec)
Hi all,

My post is not going through to inland county birds, so I thought I'd try here as well. I found a RUSTY BLACKBIRD at the Baker sewage ponds in San Bernardino County this morning. More details on eBird later today and also whenever my inland county birds post appears...

Good birding!

Ken Schneider
San Francisco

Back to top
Date: 12/1/17 9:50 am
From: John Sterling <jsterling...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] Gb ani
Just refound at entrance to dog park at Encinitas Community Park.

Sent from my iPhone

John Sterling
530 908-3836
26 Palm Ave
Woodland, CA 95695

------------------------------------

Date: 11/27/17 2:29 pm
From: Jim Lomax <sdrib...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
’s up, dogs?

John Luther and I arrived at the Woodland Water Treatment Plant at the east end of Gibson Road about 0800 this morning and hiked out to the southern end of the ponds. We met with Michael Perone already there and began our search around the second pond from the south end on the east side of the complex of ponds. After talking with Michael, who began his search about 0730, I walked to the forth pond from the south on the east side and after five minutes, saw and added the FRANKLIN’S GULL swimming in with California, Bonaparte’s, etc., gulls. As I walked back to the south, John and Michael found the other bird and I hurried. When I got to where they were, northwest end of the second pond from the south, the PALM WARBLER was out in the open on the rocks picking away at prey items. After a few minutes it flew north into the area of the third pond where Michael still saw it briefly, then disappeared.

Homebound.

Date: 11/27/17 9:47 am
From: 'Alvaro Jaramillo' <chucao...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: RE: [CB] Taimyr (Lesser Black-backed) Gull Sonoma
Ruth

First of all, Taimyr Gull as an identification for that bird is a hypothesis that needs a thorough vetting. But I will let others deal with that.

Right now most folks consider taimyrensis a subspecies of Lesser Black-backed Gull. Genetically the strongest rift in the species is heuglini/taimyrensis vs fuscus/graellsii/intermedius groups, and there is some validity to splitting the species into two, but borderline. Some also put barabensis (Steppe Gull) here, although it may be closer to Caspian Gull. So if Heuglin’s (Tundra Gull, West Siberian Gull) is split, Taimyr becomes a subspecies of it. But some researchers (mainly Pierre Yesou) have thought that Taimyr Gull does not deserve a taxonomic rank as it may be a hybrid swarm/cline between Heuglin’s and Vega Gull. Jury is still out on that, although a mitochondrial DNA study of the Lesser BB group found some but not much gene flow between Vega and Taimyr. But beware as only western (close to pure Heuglin’s) Taimyr gulls were sampled.

Sorry if eyes are glazed over, or some of you have fallen asleep on the keyboard. But the questions was asked 😊

Alvaro

Alvaro Jaramillo

<mailto:<alvaro...> <alvaro...>

www.alvarosadventures.com

Date: 11/23/17 9:12 pm
From: Jim Lomax <sdrib...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
’s up, dogs?

See if this one goes out on time.

Frances Oliver and I arrived in San Diego County about 0430 and parked in Encinitas Community Park and waited until daylight. As the sky lightened, we started looking as other birders including Colin Dillingham and his brother arrived. About 0715, a passing bicyclist, who has learned what the crowds are doing in the park the last few days, called out and pointed causing a surge in the peanut gallery to his location and there, sitting on a tree in plain view warming in the morning sun, was the GROOVE-BILLED ANI. Relief since it took me three days to be able to make the trek.

We then scooted over to Fiesta Island in the city of San Diego and parked at the dog park. As soon as we walked in, we spotted two people pointing cameras at something and added the MOUNTAIN PLOVER.

Then one more bird for Frances so we drove over to Formosa Slough and she added the Tricolored Heron. Drove all over the L.A. freeways trying to dodge the yahoos fighting to get out of town. Made it home by 1730. Not a good day to drive any freeways.

Date: 11/23/17 8:50 pm
From: Jim Lomax <sdrib...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [CB] Santa Cruz and Mariposa Counties
I see I’m going to have to put the date on my reports if I decide to continue reporting on countybirders. I don’t know what the problem is but this is the second time in a row that my report has been delayed by a day or more. Perhaps I’m non gratis. This report was written and sent on November 20th and arrived today the 23rd giving people the impression that John and I saw the American Tree Sparrow today. We did not.

Date: 11/23/17 5:02 pm
From: John Sterling <jsterling...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] Red footed booby
Rob Fowler and Floyd Hayes just notified me that they are looking at the continuing red footed booby at half moon bay right now.

Sent from my iPhone

John Sterling
530 908-3836
26 Palm Ave
Woodland, CA 95695

------------------------------------

Date: 11/19/17 7:29 pm
From: <teasterla...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] Red-footed Booby images
Posted some Images on my FLICKR site of the RFBO. I drove down with Sandy, Tim and Fritz Stuerer and it was a gorgeous day to boot! Also, the Northern Gannet was seen at the Devil's Slide to the North. This is just South of Pacifica on the South side of the Hwy 1 tunnel.

Todd Easterla
El Dorado Hills, Ca.

Back to top
Date: 11/16/17 11:36 pm
From: Jim Lomax <sdrib...> [countybirders] <countybirders-noreply...>
Subject: [CB] San Mateo County
’s up, dogs?

Been out of the country since September 30th (birding in Panama, Ecuador, and the Galapagos), and getting back Tuesday night, and recovering yesterday.

So it was that I left home at 0400 this morning ahead of the rotten commute arriving in Princeton north of Half Moon Bay about 0505. Waited till I could see, near 0640, then walked the Johnson Pier to the end and spent 15 minutes scoping the breakwater. About 0700, I saw a bird standing on the top of the breakwater among the hundreds of gulls, pelicans, cormorants, and wannabes, with pink feet. Suspiciously this sleeping bird looked like it might be the one so I waited about 8 minutes until it lifted it’s head. I watched the RED-FOOTED BOOBY as it preened, flapped it’s wings, and went back to sleep, then headed home. It’s location was looking left from the end of the pier at the closest dike coming from the eastern shore. It was about 100 yards from the west end of that dike.

“Truckin’ like the do-dah man”,

Jim Lomax
Solitary Birder
from No Particular Place

Not at all sure where I’ve been, but I’m not starting over again.

Join us on Facebook!