klamathbasinbirdnews
Received From Subject
4/23/24 9:33 am <rriparia...> [KlamathBasinBirdNews] Lakeside Field Trip Summary
4/16/24 6:17 am <rriparia...> [KlamathBasinBirdNews] Lakeside Wetlands tour and shorebirds Saturday Ap 20
4/9/24 9:33 am <rriparia...> [KlamathBasinBirdNews] Reminder Harry Fuller presnet BIRDING HARNEY COUNTY tonight
4/9/24 9:26 am <rriparia...> [KlamathBasinBirdNews] Milller Island and Lower Klamath and Shorebirds
4/6/24 7:48 am <rriparia...> [KlamathBasinBirdNews] Showcased wetlands will be KBAS April 20 fieldtrip
4/5/24 8:39 am <rriparia...> [KlamathBasinBirdNews] Revised KBAS meeting and Harry Fuller Presentation
4/5/24 7:05 am <rriparia...> [KlamathBasinBirdNews] Birding Harney County Oregon by Harry Fuller

Back to top
Date: 4/23/24 9:33 am
From: <rriparia...>
Subject: [KlamathBasinBirdNews] Lakeside Field Trip Summary
Hello All, Thank you for attending the field trip to Lakeside Wetlands,
with an on-site presentation by Karl Wenner. The wetlands here have
shown that wetlands could improve water quality and at least provide
an opportunity for maintaining species and possibly provide
opportunity for species to live until they become more tolerant of
Upper Klamath Lake conditions, and Karl presented that so well. You
saw first hand that the wetlands is a great source for food, with such
a diversity of birds present. I hope you continue to explore the
Klamath Basin and all that it has to offer. You could even come to the
next general meeting. Members and non-members alike could hear about
the trip from you! I've shared below, the list of birds seen and heard
on this trip. Please share your experience of the trip with others.
Spreading the knowledge of what is going on in the Klamath Basin helps
to increase our awareness. The next Klamath Basin Audubon Society
meeting for the general public is Tuesday, May 7. The meeting will be
the host for a presentation by Klamath Bird Observatory and its role
in monitoring resident and migratory birds in this fantastic area. It
takes place at Favell Museum, in the bottom floor room, and a social
time starts at 6:30 pm, with a meeting that starts at 7:00 and the
presentation follows. I hope to see you there. Stay connected with
KBAS through our Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100068550304405 We have
over 700 followers and would welcome all members joining who are on
Facebook. Join the Klamath Basin Birding Network News google groupgroups.google.com/g/klamathbasinbirdnews
where local residents share recent interesting sightings and other
KBAS updates.
Go to the Klamath Basin Audubon Society websiteklamathaudubon.orgfor
newsletters, membership information, program and field trip updates,
etc.
Check out the website https://www.klamathbasinbirding.comhosted
by local photographers Mary Williams Hyde Hope to see you on another
trip, or at a meeting and their great presentations! And thank you
Karl and Anne Wenner for the fabulous opportunity of seeing and
hearing about this wetland. Kevin SpencerKlamath Basin Audubon
Lakeside Wenner Wetland (restricted access), Klamath, Oregon, US Apr
20, 2024 9:15 AM - 11:50 AM Protocol: Traveling 0.75 mile(s) Checklist
Comments: Audubon trip out to wetlands; Karl Wenner spoke about
benefits of wetlands for both fish and birds, and agriculture 58
species Greater White-fronted Goose 1066 some larger skeins moving by
and northward Canada Goose 106 48 goslings included in the count
Cinnamon Teal 8 Northern Shoveler 240 most in the temporary wetland
along Upper Klamath Lake Gadwall 22 American Wigeon 4 Mallard 38
Northern Pintail 45 Green-winged Teal 27 Redhead 1 Ring-necked Duck 12
Lesser Scaup 6 Bufflehead 47 Ruddy Duck 32 Western Grebe 16 Clark's
Grebe 7 Eurasian Collared-Dove 2 Mourning Dove 6 American Coot 26
Black-necked Stilt 38 all in temporary wetland near Upper Klamath Lake
American Avocet 24 about 6 in first area seen Killdeer 3 Wilson's
Snipe 1 flushed Greater Yellowlegs 1 Least Sandpiper 36 Western
Sandpiper 2 Bonaparte's Gull 1 Ring-billed Gull 26 Caspian Tern 2
Double-crested Cormorant 3 American White Pelican 14 Great Egret 1
Great Blue Heron 1 White-faced Ibis 70 flying overhead Turkey Vulture
18 Bald Eagle 1 Red-tailed Hawk 1 Belted Kingfisher 1 Downy Woodpecker
1 Merlin 1 Western Kingbird 1 Black-billed Magpie 2 Common Raven 1
Tree Swallow 45 Violet-green Swallow 1 Barn Swallow 2 Marsh Wren 8
Bewick's Wren 1 European Starling 2 Cedar Waxwing 1 White-crowned
Sparrow (Gambel's) 4 Savannah Sparrow 7 Song Sparrow 9 Lincoln's
Sparrow 1 Red-winged Blackbird 28 Brewer's Blackbird 10 Common
Yellowthroat 1 Yellow-rumped Warbler (Audubon's) 5

For more information, including posting guidelines, visit the Group's
web page at:
https://sites.google.com/site/klamathbasinbirdnews/
Groups "Klamath Basin Bird News" group.
an email to klamathbasinbirdnews+<unsubscribe...>
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/klamathbasinbirdnews/<6bdcad4e-67ef-f41a-b5e5-2f58333a3818...>

Back to top
Date: 4/16/24 6:17 am
From: <rriparia...>
Subject: [KlamathBasinBirdNews] Lakeside Wetlands tour and shorebirds Saturday Ap 20
Klamath Basin Audubon Society will be heading to Lakeside Wetlands, N of
Klamath Falls, for a tour and to view shorebirds and other wetland
species, this Saturday, April 20. This will be an approximately 3 hour
trip. The group will meet with Karl Wenner at the site where he will
tell us about the positive benefits that this unique wetlands has to
offer including water quality improvements that benefit fish too! This
time of year is when numerous shorebird species move into the Klamath
Basin, with many stopping to re-supply in food-rich wetland habitats
of the Klamath Basin. We expect to see: American Avocet, Black-necked
Stilt, Killdeer, and Greater Yellowlegs. Other possible shorebirds
could be: Lesser Yellowlegs, Least Sandpiper, Semipalmated Plover, and
Dunlin, and hopefully more! The tour and wildlife viewing will
include walking and stopping along level gravel roads, approximately a
half-mile or so total. Meet at the Locomotive, Veteran's Park, off of
Main Street, Klamath Falls, to leave by car, or car-pool, by 9:00 am.
We should arrive at Lakeside Wetlands by 9:15 am. Bring your
binoculars, a hat, water, and snacks. The trip will conclude near
noon. If you have questions, contact Kevin Spencer at
<rriparia...>

For more information, including posting guidelines, visit the Group's
web page at:
https://sites.google.com/site/klamathbasinbirdnews/
Groups "Klamath Basin Bird News" group.
an email to klamathbasinbirdnews+<unsubscribe...>
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/klamathbasinbirdnews/<c2f59aed-150e-5aec-26f2-f23c5fbeebc8...>

Back to top
Date: 4/9/24 9:33 am
From: <rriparia...>
Subject: [KlamathBasinBirdNews] Reminder Harry Fuller presnet BIRDING HARNEY COUNTY tonight
Tonight: Tuesday, April 9, 2024 Klamath Basin Audubon Society General
Members meeting: 7:00 pmFavell Museum, 125 W Main St., Klamath Falls,
OR(bottom floor; use outside stairs towards Link River to reach
outside entrance)Social time starts at 6:30 pm.See below for Zoom
information See you there! Harry Fuller will be presenting highlights
about his new book: BIRDING HARNEY COUNTY, OREGON This gem of a county
in Oregon has long been a destination area for many Oregon Birders,
and those traveling to Oregon, looking for incredible vistas while
also enjoying the desert plant communities of Oregon and their
associated avian residents and migration visitors, which can include
ultra-rare bird vagrants! Harry mentions: "I will outline some of the
highlights of my new book, BIRDING HARNEY COUNTY.

I hope to help birders find new places to bird in eastern Oregon. Also
I want to birders find the birds they are looking for. Where and when
are always crucial elements when seeking that special bird. And Harney
County has many birds not found where most birders live. From Bobolink
to Common Nighthawk. From Ferruginous Hawk to Franklin’s Gull. From
White Pelican to Wilson’s Phalarope this area is a birder’s
challenge."

Harry Fuller leads field trips sponsored by the Malheur Field
Station. He has previously published three natural history books
including The Great Gray Owls of California, Oregon and Washington. He
has been leading field trips in the western U.S. for three decades.
He is currently the natural history columnist for the Salem reporter
website.

Join Klamath Basin Audubon for this presentation, Tuesday evening,
April 9, come for the social and "meet and greet" time starting at
6:30 pm, at Favell Museum, 125 W.Main Street, Klamath Falls. Then
starting at 7:00 pm. there will be a short meeting, and then Harry
will follow with his presentation. Find out more details regarding
this new publication by attending the meeting, or for those further
away, join in with Zoom. (the Zoom will be recorded and the Youtube
link will be posted later) See you on Tuesday night! Zoom link: (copy
and paste the link into your browser) Kevin Spencer is inviting you
to a scheduled Zoom meeting.Topic: Kevin Spencer's Zoom Meeting
Time: Apr 9, 2024 06:45 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)Join Zoom
Meeting
https://us06web.zoom.us/j/85375554762?<pwd...>
ID: 853 7555 4762
Passcode: 683536

For more information, including posting guidelines, visit the Group's
web page at:
https://sites.google.com/site/klamathbasinbirdnews/
Groups "Klamath Basin Bird News" group.
an email to klamathbasinbirdnews+<unsubscribe...>
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/klamathbasinbirdnews/<2cbcb356-8766-baec-883d-36feb74f2297...>

Back to top
Date: 4/9/24 9:26 am
From: <rriparia...>
Subject: [KlamathBasinBirdNews] Milller Island and Lower Klamath and Shorebirds
After being gone for a few weeks I came to back, to snow! Sunday, I went
to Miller Island. Wow, that area has water, and it felt like old
times! Although it's a bit past the peak for white geese, Snow and
Ross's, I did see large flock in the distance. Greater White-fronted
Geese were scattered around in flocks of a few hundred at a time. Many
species of ducks were present. Julie Van Moorhem saw a pair of
Blue-winged Teal, one of my favorite duck species. I didn't see them,
so I need to pay more attention! I came across Judy Meredith, an
birder from Bend. She had a Eurasian Green-winged Teal in her scope!
Of course it flew away when I got there. I've seen them about five or
six times through the years, so it is a rather scarce subspecies of
Green-winged Teal. The American Green-winged Teal male's white bar is
vertical just in front of their wings. The Eurasian does not have that
vertical bar, but they do have a "horizontal" white bar, below their
back and above their folded wing. I waited and came back to the
location about ten minutes after everyone left. Sure enough, it was
back, and I got some "digiscoped" photos on my phone. That bird is
along the last straight stretch before the boat launch on the Klamath
River. Scan through the Green-winged Teal you might see one. I always
scan through teal flocks in the spring, andn I'll bet that's what Judy
was doing!I saw about four different American Kestrels, some with
their mates nearby. So, it looks like there are numerous pairs that
will be nesting in the wildlife area. That's awesome! At then end of
the long first straight stretch on paved road, and past the HQ
buildings, park on the big pullout with the kiosk board. Scan through
the birds in the flooded land below. There are numerous shorebird
species. Right now BLACK-NECKED STILTS are in force. I saw several
hundred on the refuge on this day. Also present were Amercian Avocet.
What cool bird, and the way it slashes its bill through the water to
seign is unique. There were a few Greater Yellowlegs and Killdeer
there too. The best is yet to come!. Keep visiting that location for
more shorebird species in the weeks to come. Shorebirds are just
beginning to get here! At Lower Klamath NWR on Monday, April 8, I
went on the "Short Auto Route". That route starts at the main
entrance, heads south to Intersection A, turn right at that
intersection, then getting to Intersection F, go right, and follow
that to its exit at Stateline Road, and west of the main entrance.
Although Lower Klamath NWR is receiving water from Tule Lake through
Sheepy Ridge tunnel, I only saw significant water on units inside the
short tour route. I did not drive out past units that were dry to
check on how much "flooding up" was occurring as a result of the water
coming from Tule Lake. I did see water coming into the Lower Klamath
via Straits Drain and Ady (?) canals at Stateline Road. While on the
short loop I saw most of the use along the "Old Growth Willow" row
near the exit. Mixed in with Greater White Fronted Geese there were a
few Cackling Geese (on Sunday, but not Monday). There were many duck
species, one Eared Grebe and one Common Goldeneye, female. A Black
Phoebe was flycatching along the willow near the exit. I am not sure
if the Bald Eagle nest is active. It might be, but I am not sure. I
did not see any head near the rim of the nest from my angle. An adult
was perched near the nest. I did not get out of my car. I try not to
disturb the nesting if there is an active nest. Staying in my car
allowed close views of the adult nearby, so another reason not to
leave the vehicle. I have not been to Tule Lake NWR in a few weeks,
but with the water that refuge has received, and with its established
wetlands that has not suffered years without water like Lower Klamath,
I am pretty sure that refuge might be the more interesting to visit
right now. At least until more water is spread over a great area of
Lower Klamath. Unit of the Lower Klamath on the Oregon side, in the
Straits Drain area has water on lease lands. One of those units had
over 800 BLACK-NECKED STILTS ! That is the highest number for that
species that I have ever seen at one location. About 2000 DUNLIN were
resting in a unit of shallow water along the main Straits Drain road
on the east side. They were the likely target of a PEREGRINE FALON
seen stooping on the flock and scattering them. Since its shorebird
season from now until later May, visiting locations with shallow water
to mudflats can be an interesting stop in the Klamath Basin.Good
Birding! Kevin Spencer

For more information, including posting guidelines, visit the Group's
web page at:
https://sites.google.com/site/klamathbasinbirdnews/
Groups "Klamath Basin Bird News" group.
an email to klamathbasinbirdnews+<unsubscribe...>
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/klamathbasinbirdnews/<e3b15e74-3b28-b5cd-6fb0-17fa565368bb...>

Back to top
Date: 4/6/24 7:48 am
From: <rriparia...>
Subject: [KlamathBasinBirdNews] Showcased wetlands will be KBAS April 20 fieldtrip
Klamath Basin Audubon Society will be going to Lakeside Wetlands, on
Saturday, April 20, leaving Veterans Park "Locomotive" area at 9:00 so
that the group can arrive on-site by 9:15. Please arrive before 9 to
attend. While there Karl Wenner will give an overview of the wetlands
and their importance for the balance of the Upper Klamath River
ecosystem. Later, with Kevin Spencer, we will be viewing shorebirds
which are migrating through the basin, while some will stay and nest.
So, bring your binoculars, shoes for walking, a hat, and water. The
trip will conclude around noon. For questions, contact: Kevin Spencer
at <rriparia...> This wetlands is being showcased in this
recent video. The field trip is an opportunity for those attending to
see this place in person! The link to the video is below.
https://youtu.be/NKtqXD5-VEM

For more information, including posting guidelines, visit the Group's
web page at:
https://sites.google.com/site/klamathbasinbirdnews/
Groups "Klamath Basin Bird News" group.
an email to klamathbasinbirdnews+<unsubscribe...>
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/klamathbasinbirdnews/<62349059-1e59-1cba-f5f5-d6acf8fab8ad...>

Back to top
Date: 4/5/24 8:39 am
From: <rriparia...>
Subject: [KlamathBasinBirdNews] Revised KBAS meeting and Harry Fuller Presentation
This notice has added location for meeting, and more specific times for
the event. At next week's Klamath Basin Audubon Society meeting, 7:00
pm., Favell Museum, 125 W. Main Street, Klamath Falls, OR (down
outside stairs near Link River, to bottom floor entrance) Harry Fuller
[...]

Passcode: 683536 ---One tap mobile
+12532050468,,85375554762#,,,,*683536# US
+12532158782,,85375554762#,,,,*683536# US (Tacoma) Kevin SpencerKBAS,
President

For more information, including posting guidelines, visit the Group's
web page at:
https://sites.google.com/site/klamathbasinbirdnews/
Groups "Klamath Basin Bird News" group.
an email to klamathbasinbirdnews+<unsubscribe...>
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/klamathbasinbirdnews/<cb7217ff-c336-817f-5e9e-3a2a6876b686...>

Back to top
Date: 4/5/24 7:05 am
From: <rriparia...>
Subject: [KlamathBasinBirdNews] Birding Harney County Oregon by Harry Fuller
At next week's Klamath Basin Audubon Society meeting, Harry Fuller will
[...]

April 9, 7:00 pm. Following a short meeting starting at 7:00, Harry
[...]

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/klamathbasinbirdnews/<5768e544-2217-841d-0536-a998b84ff3b9...>

Join us on Facebook!