portland-area-birds
Received From Subject
1/12/19 9:10 pm <eea...> [PortlandAreaBirds] Short-eared Owl Surveys in need of Volunteers
1/8/19 7:07 pm Jay Withgott <withgott...> [PortlandAreaBirds] Re: [obol] NE Portland Yellow and Palm Warblers
1/1/19 8:16 pm peter barnes <pbarnes123...> [PortlandAreaBirds] No YBSA in Gresham today
1/1/19 9:25 am Owen Schmidt <oschmidt...> [PortlandAreaBirds] No Portland Birders Night tonight
12/31/18 10:40 am peter barnes <pbarnes123...> [PortlandAreaBirds] Yellow-bellied Sapsucker in Gresham this morning
12/31/18 8:28 am Owen Schmidt <oschmidt...> [PortlandAreaBirds] Portland Birders Night is Tuesday
12/30/18 10:44 am Brodie Cass Talbott <brodietlewis...> [PortlandAreaBirds] Eur. Wigeon, Nor. Shrike @ vanport
12/29/18 3:11 pm Pointers <pointers...> Re: [PortlandAreaBirds] Eurasian wigeon force lake
12/29/18 2:06 pm Brodie Cass Talbott <brodietlewis...> [PortlandAreaBirds] Eurasian wigeon force lake
12/26/18 7:49 pm Stefan Schlick <greenfant...> [PortlandAreaBirds] RE: Forest Grove CBC results
12/26/18 1:13 pm Thomas Love <tlove...> [PortlandAreaBirds] RE: Forest Grove CBC results
12/24/18 9:15 pm Stefan Schlick <greenfant...> [PortlandAreaBirds] Forest Grove CBC results
12/20/18 12:27 pm William Risser <wlrisser...> [PortlandAreaBirds] Tabor birds

Back to top
Date: 1/12/19 9:10 pm
From: <eea...>
Subject: [PortlandAreaBirds] Short-eared Owl Surveys in need of Volunteers
The Western Asio Flammeus Landscape Study (WAfLS) is looking for citizen
scientists to help survey for Short-eared Owls throughout Oregon. This is
the world's largest survey for Short-eared Owls and the second year it is
taking place in Oregon. This project spans eight western states and is
designed to gather information to better evaluate the population status of
the Short-eared Owl. The Oregon Conservation Strategy has identified this
species as a Species of Greatest Conservation Need and National Audubon
Society Climate Initiative has identified it as Climate Endangered. These
surveys are critical to fill information gaps for this species in Oregon.
Results will directly influence high-value conservation actions by state
and federal agencies. Volunteer and help make a valuable impact!

Volunteers will enjoy rural Oregon at twilight while completing two
road-based surveys during late winter and early spring. The surveys consist
of driving on secondary roads and stopping at 8 to 11 points to complete a
five-minute survey. At each point, volunteers will record detections of
Short-eared Owls as well as some brief habitat information. The entire
survey is completed within 90 minutes. Training material will be provided
and no experience is necessary to volunteer. Participants will need to
follow field and data entry protocols, have use of a vehicle, smartphone or
GPS device, and be able to identify a Short-eared Owl. Registration is now
open and surveys run from March-April.

For more information visit the project's website (
http://www.avianknowledgenorthwest.net/citizen-science/short-eared-owls) or
contact Ellie at <eea...>

Back to top
Date: 1/8/19 7:07 pm
From: Jay Withgott <withgott...>
Subject: [PortlandAreaBirds] Re: [obol] NE Portland Yellow and Palm Warblers

Hi all —

Philip’s Yellow Warbler is a very rare find. As far as I can tell, it is the latest-staying / latest-surviving winter Yellow Warbler ever recorded in Oregon.

One or more of the Esteemed Birding Elders of this listserv will probably chime in with X number of historical examples now to prove me wrong (please do if they exist), but from what I can find from a search of eBird and Birds of Oregon: A General Reference, there are a handful of Nov. and Dec. records of Yellow Warbler, but no records after January 1st.

In terms of eBird records alone, Philip's is the latest winter Yellow Warbler record anywhere on the West Coast north of Humboldt Co., California. The very mild winter thus far in Portland has no doubt contributed to its survival.

However, “our" bird is currently in competition with a Yellow Warbler in Tacoma, WA, that has been seen this month from 4 Jan. to 7 Jan. — so we’ll have to see which one survives and is seen the longest! The Sounders-Timbers rivalry ain’t got nothin’ on this one.

Jay Withgott
Portland

From: Philip Kline <pgeorgekline@xxxxxxxxx>
To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2019 18:21:12 -0800

I refound Colby Neuman's Palm Warbler today just to the north of the Fazio
Landfill along NE Fazio Way and 13th Avenue across the road from the Oak
Harbor Freight Lines building. It was with a flock of 25-30 Yellow-rumpeds
and a surprise glowing adult male YELLOW WARBLER! Just in the nick of time
for Portland CBC count week.

I think Colby mentioned before that weekends may be a better time to visit
this area. The landfill is active with heavy machinery moving piles of
dirt around. There aren't any No Trespassing signs, but I'm not sure how
welcoming the landowners may be to birders, so all the usual warnings
apply. The older weeded-over piles of the landfill were a goldmine of
birding activity this afternoon when the rain ceased. The bramble thickets
on the east side of 13th Avenue to the north (and south of Gertz Road) were
also very active and I later refound the Palm Warbler here. I would not be
surprised if there are more hidden gems lurking in this area.

Good birding,

Philip Kline

Back to top
Date: 1/1/19 8:16 pm
From: peter barnes <pbarnes123...>
Subject: [PortlandAreaBirds] No YBSA in Gresham today
I did not see the male Yellow-bellied Sapsucker on the Springwater Corridor
in Gresham this morning. I only looked for it for 30 minutes, 200 yards on
either side of where it was yesterday, so it could still be around. There
are a lot of small leafless trees in the area that look similar to the one
it was using yesterday. There were lots of sparrows and finches about,
including a Fox Sparrow and a female Purple Finch.

Peter Barnes,
Gresham

Back to top
Date: 1/1/19 9:25 am
From: Owen Schmidt <oschmidt...>
Subject: [PortlandAreaBirds] No Portland Birders Night tonight

…… first Tuesday of the month, but as Caitlin explained yesterday, Audubon House is open every day of the year except Independence Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year’s Day. Happy New Year! Birders Night will resume the first Tuesday of February …… February 5th.

<oschmidt...>
Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Back to top
Date: 12/31/18 10:40 am
From: peter barnes <pbarnes123...>
Subject: [PortlandAreaBirds] Yellow-bellied Sapsucker in Gresham this morning
This morning, a little after 9 am, I was surprised to see a male
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker on the Springwater Corridor in Gresham. From the
intersection with Walter Rd, go 2-300 yards west. The bird was perched near
the north side of the path, and then flew south into the trees. Below is a
copy of my ebird report. Nice end to the year!

Peter Barnes,
Gresham

Springwater Corridor, Gresham, Multnomah, Oregon, US
Dec 31, 2018 8:20 AM - 9:30 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.9 mile(s)
Comments: from 15.6 to 16.5 mile markers
19 species (+1 other taxa)

Cackling Goose 19
Wood Duck 3
Anna's Hummingbird 1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 1 Male. Small woodpecker, between size of
Downy and Hairy, with white patch on side of the wing. The forecrown was
red, the top of the crown and nape were black. A white stripe above the eye
curved down the side of the neck. There was no red on the nape. The chin
and upper throat were red, and surrounded by a complete black frame that
extended from the bill. The lower throat and upper breast were black, the
lower breast and belly were pale yellow. Most of the back was spangled with
pale gold, that was not arranged in vertical stripes. The bird was
initially seen approximately 100 yards west of the 15.8 mile marker, near
Eastman Parkway, in a leafless tree to the north of the path. I observed it
there for several minutes, and it then flew into the shrub and trees 100
yards south of the park, and was lost to view.
Downy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 4
California Scrub-Jay 3
Black-capped Chickadee 5
Red-breasted Nuthatch 2
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 1
American Robin 25
European Starling 60
House Finch 1
Spinus sp. (goldfinch sp.) 1
Fox Sparrow 2
Dark-eyed Junco 12
Golden-crowned Sparrow 1
Song Sparrow 35
Spotted Towhee 8
House Sparrow 2

Back to top
Date: 12/31/18 8:28 am
From: Owen Schmidt <oschmidt...>
Subject: [PortlandAreaBirds] Portland Birders Night is Tuesday

……. January 1, 7:00 pm, Portland Audubon House, 5151 NW Cornell. Easy bird quiz, potpourri. Bring your bird photos and videos, or come to see what others bring. Free!

Happy New Year!

<oschmidt...>
Monday, December 31, 2018

Back to top
Date: 12/30/18 10:44 am
From: Brodie Cass Talbott <brodietlewis...>
Subject: [PortlandAreaBirds] Eur. Wigeon, Nor. Shrike @ vanport
Was unable to find the Eurasian wigeon Drake at force lake, so I headed
over to vanport wetlands and found one there. Caveat emptor, it was mixed
in with at least 1500 other ducks. Maybe bc it's a hunt day at sauvies?

Easier to find was a northern shrike that flew in to the center island. A
serious nemesis bird for me in the county, and a 5mr bird to boot!

Good birding,
Brodie

Back to top
Date: 12/29/18 3:11 pm
From: Pointers <pointers...>
Subject: Re: [PortlandAreaBirds] Eurasian wigeon force lake
thanks !!! ... still there, 3:10

Lyn Topinka
Vancouver,Wa.
NorthwestJourney.com
ColumbiaRiverImages.com

On Dec 29, 2018, at 2:06 PM, Brodie Cass Talbott <brodietlewis...> wrote:

My father in law reports a Drake at force lake in heron lakes golf course right now.

Good birding,
Brodie
Portland

Back to top

Date: 12/26/18 7:49 pm
From: Stefan Schlick <greenfant...>
Subject: [PortlandAreaBirds] RE: Forest Grove CBC results
Looks to be average. We counted just over 29,000 birds.

Stefan Schlick
Hillsboro, OR

Date: 12/26/18 1:13 pm
From: Thomas Love <tlove...>

Date: 12/20/18 12:27 pm
From: William Risser <wlrisser...>
Subject: [PortlandAreaBirds] Tabor birds
A birder saw a pygmy-owl along the path to the east of the top yesterday morning, being mobbed by one hummingbird.
The black merlin was on the merlin tree at reservoir no. 5 this morning. The young goldeneye was there with the bufflehead.

Will Risser, Portland

Sent from Mail for Windows 10