portland-area-birds
Received From Subject
11/9/18 10:29 am William Risser <wlrisser...> [PortlandAreaBirds] Mt. Tabor this morning
11/9/18 10:28 am Brodie Cass Talbott <brodiecasstalbott...> [PortlandAreaBirds] Bittern also at Oaks
11/9/18 10:03 am Brodie Cass Talbott <brodiecasstalbott...> [PortlandAreaBirds] Swamp Sparrow at Oaks Bottom
11/8/18 4:19 pm Jay Withgott <withgott...> [PortlandAreaBirds] Summer Tanager and YB Sapsucker in inner NE Portland
11/8/18 12:09 pm Brodie Cass Talbott <brodietlewis...> Re: [PortlandAreaBirds] Yb sapsucker near tanager spot
11/8/18 10:59 am Jay Withgott <withgott...> [PortlandAreaBirds] Yb sapsucker near tanager spot
11/8/18 8:27 am Jay Withgott <withgott...> [PortlandAreaBirds] RBA: Summer Tanager in Portland
11/7/18 5:03 pm James Billstine <billstinj...> [PortlandAreaBirds] Tillamook Bay CBC
11/6/18 8:59 am Owen Schmidt <oschmidt...> [PortlandAreaBirds] Birders Night tonight
11/4/18 6:41 pm Owen Schmidt <oschmidt...> [PortlandAreaBirds] Tuesday is Birders Night
11/4/18 1:49 pm peter barnes <pbarnes123...> [PortlandAreaBirds] Short-eared Owl, Eurasian Wigeon, Western Gull, Palm Warbler in Portland, Multnomah county, this morning
11/4/18 9:56 am William Risser <wlrisser...> [PortlandAreaBirds] buffleheads and merlin Tabor
11/3/18 1:02 pm peter barnes <pbarnes123...> [PortlandAreaBirds] Eurasian Wigeon Columbia Slough today
10/28/18 5:44 pm Stefan Schlick <greenfant...> [PortlandAreaBirds] Northern Shrike at Jackson Bottom
10/27/18 7:13 pm peter barnes <pbarnes123...> [PortlandAreaBirds] Snow Geese Sauvie Island today
10/27/18 9:06 am <jan.m.risser...> [PortlandAreaBirds] Hooded mergansers Tabor
10/25/18 2:46 pm Stefan Schlick <greenfant...> [PortlandAreaBirds] Swamp Sparrow along Rentenaar Rd, Sauvie Island
10/22/18 2:26 pm Wilson Cady <gorgebirds...> Re: [PortlandAreaBirds] RFI: Longest CBC Compilers, Attendees
10/22/18 9:10 am James Billstine <billstinj...> [PortlandAreaBirds] RFI: Longest CBC Compilers, Attendees
10/18/18 7:02 pm Will Risser <wlrisser...> [PortlandAreaBirds] Merlin at Tabor
10/18/18 12:38 pm John Powell <jsp255...> [PortlandAreaBirds] Mt. Tabor crossbills, etc.

Back to top
Date: 11/9/18 10:29 am
From: William Risser <wlrisser...>
Subject: [PortlandAreaBirds] Mt. Tabor this morning
We arrive at Reservoir no. 5 at 9, where a flock of ducks circled several times before settling on the water. The flock had about 10 pairs of wigeon and a few extras; a female shoveler; and a pair of gadwall. The bufflehead flock was a little bigger. The merlin was on hits favorite fir at the southwest corner until crows chased it of.

Will Risser, Portland

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Back to top
Date: 11/9/18 10:28 am
From: Brodie Cass Talbott <brodiecasstalbott...>
Subject: [PortlandAreaBirds] Bittern also at Oaks
There's an incredibly cooperative bittern directly off the platform on the
east side of the pond.

Back to top
Date: 11/9/18 10:03 am
From: Brodie Cass Talbott <brodiecasstalbott...>
Subject: [PortlandAreaBirds] Swamp Sparrow at Oaks Bottom
The swamp Sparrow that Jeff Hayes reported at the South end of the pond was
present and very vocal at 930 this morning. Bird appears to be a juvenile
and is mixed in with song sparrows, but unique call and rufous scapulars
should help picking it out.

Good birding
Brodie

Back to top
Date: 11/8/18 4:19 pm
From: Jay Withgott <withgott...>
Subject: [PortlandAreaBirds] Summer Tanager and YB Sapsucker in inner NE Portland

Hi folks —

To my knowledge no one found the Summer Tanager this morning, despite 8 or 10 of us combing the neighborhood from 9am - 1 pm. Chad Crouch’s photos from yesterday morning can be seen in his eBird list here:
https://ebird.org/admin/reviewSub.htm?subID=S49757895 <https://ebird.org/admin/reviewSub.htm?subID=S49757895>
When he found the bird it was sitting on the ground (as if having either just flown down for an insect or for grit, or perhaps recovering from a window strike). When he approached it flew up to some foliage, seemingly healthy and OK, where his photos were taken. That was at 8:20 a.m. on the 7th.

As noted earlier, while searching for the tanager this morning, Tait Anderson and I came upon a sapsucker we feel is a Yellow-bellied because it has brownish juvenile plumage this late in the year, and shows no hint of red on the nape. A Red-naped would almost certainly be molted into largely adult-like plumage by early November. Photos of this bird can be seen in my eBird list here:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49764726 <https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49764726>

The sapsucker was extremely active during the few minutes it was at the intersection of NE Siskiyou and NE 9th Ave., flying quickly among about 6 trees, including a large straight-trunked Cedrus with sapsucker wells in the SW quadrant of the intersection. Andy Frank arrived just in time to get a brief view of the sapsucker, others missed it, and then Brodie Cass Talbot and Zack Schlanger relocated it in the Cedrus tree about an hour later.

Good luck, everyone. If anyone refinds the tanager, please try to get additional photos, which might potentially help us ID it to subspecies. Congratulations, Chad, on a fantastic find (and an amazing yard bird), and for being alert enough to get photos.

Jay Withgott
Portland

Back to top
Date: 11/8/18 12:09 pm
From: Brodie Cass Talbott <brodietlewis...>
Subject: Re: [PortlandAreaBirds] Yb sapsucker near tanager spot
YB Sap was just back working the big cedar of Lebanon that's full of wells
on 9th and siskiyou.

Date: 11/8/18 10:59 am
From: Jay Withgott <withgott...>

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker seen at ne 9th and Siskiyou while looking for summer Tanager. No tanager yet. - jw

Sent from my iThing

> On Nov 8, 2018, at 8:27 AM, Jay Withgott <withgott...> wrote:
>

> Hi folks —
>
> New birder Chad Crouch found a bird in his yard in inner NE Portland yesterday (Wed., 7 Nov) that, from the good photos he shared with me, is quite clearly a female or young male SUMMER TANAGER. This would be only the 3rd-ever record of this species for Multnomah County.
>
> The location is on NE Fargo St., midway in the block between NE 7th Ave and Martin Luther King Jr Blvd. This is very near to Irving Park, and in the grand scheme of things, is not all that far from last winter's Virginia’s Warbler location. Chad and his wife welcome birders to their neighborhood, but of course we should all take care to obey the normal ground rules of courtesy toward neighbors, i.e. stay on streets, sidewalks, and public rights-of-way, respect private property, be friendly to neighbors, etc. We are also asked not to share addresses online if the bird is seen, but to simply physically describe any locations. Let’s all please abide by these very reasonable requests.
>
> I don’t know further details of time seen, exact spots, etc., but I will be at the location in about an hour, and will pass any further info along later if appropriate and helpful.
>
> Jay Withgott
> Portland
>
> --
> --

Back to top

Date: 11/7/18 5:03 pm
From: James Billstine <billstinj...>
Subject: [PortlandAreaBirds] Tillamook Bay CBC
Hi all,

I am honored to take over the long-running Tillamook Bay CBC as compiler.
Owen Schmidt has compiled for many decades, and the gentleman whose name
slips my memory compiled it for decades before him. I hope that I will be
able to continue that tradition.

The Tillamook Bay CBC will be on Saturday, December 15. Teams will be
arranged in advance. Please contact Jimmy Billstine for more information:

<billstinj...>

--
James Billstine

Back to top
Date: 11/6/18 8:59 am
From: Owen Schmidt <oschmidt...>
Subject: [PortlandAreaBirds] Birders Night tonight

……. Portland Audubon House, 7:00 pm, final notice!

Johnny Powell will show photos of birds from Costa Rica. Diantha Knott will show one of her wonderfully edited videos from Ecuador and/or puffins and razorbills from the northeast.

Bring your own photos or videos to share, or come to see what others bring. Free!

<oschmidt...>
Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Back to top
Date: 11/4/18 6:41 pm
From: Owen Schmidt <oschmidt...>
Subject: [PortlandAreaBirds] Tuesday is Birders Night

…… Portland Audubon Society, 5151 NW Cornell Road, 7:00 pm. First Tuesday of the month.

Johnny Powell will show photos of birds from Oaxaca. Diantha Knott will show one of her wonderfully edited videos from Ecuador and/or puffins and razorbills from the northeast.

Bring your own photos or videos to share, or come to see what others bring. Free!

Heads up ……. there will not be a Birders Night in December because Portland Audubon is using Heron Hall for a Nature Night program on Double-crested Cormorants by Bob Salinger. Birders Night attendees are invited to attend this Nature Night program the first Tuesday of December. We’ll be back in January!

<oschmidt...>
Sunday, November 4, 2018

Back to top
Date: 11/4/18 1:49 pm
From: peter barnes <pbarnes123...>
Subject: [PortlandAreaBirds] Short-eared Owl, Eurasian Wigeon, Western Gull, Palm Warbler in Portland, Multnomah county, this morning
At around 8:30 this morning, Ross Barnes-Rickett, Brodie Cass Talbott and I
had good views of a Short-eared Owl at Broughton Beach. From the paved bike
path, we saw the bird fly several times between the second set of pilings
and the Sea Scout Base, mostly in the fields on the airport side of Marine
Drive, but occasionally along the beach.

We then saw the Eurasian Wigeon at the Columbia Slough Elrod Drive access,
in the same place where I saw it yesterday.

Ross and I then went to Harborview Park, where we had two adult Western
Gulls in the gull flock. While there, we chanced upon a *palmarum (*Western)
Palm Warbler in small bushes on a slope, south east of the gull roost, and
less than 100 yards from the parking area.

Peter Barnes,
Gresham

Back to top
Date: 11/4/18 9:56 am
From: William Risser <wlrisser...>
Subject: [PortlandAreaBirds] buffleheads and merlin Tabor
When we were near the highest western reservoir (No. 5) at 8:30-9:00 this morning there were 8 male and 3 female buffleheads. Some courtship was in progress.
At 9:00 but not 8:30 the merlin was atop his usual tree at the reservoir’s southwest corner.

Date: 11/3/18 1:02 pm
From: peter barnes <pbarnes123...>
Subject: [PortlandAreaBirds] Eurasian Wigeon Columbia Slough today
This morning, I relocated the male Eurasian Wigeon reported by Andy Frank
on ebird yesterday at the Columbia Slough Elrod Drive access hotspot, which
is east of the Force Lake/Vanport wetlands area. Drive to the west end of
Elrod, reached from 33rd Avenue, north of Columbia Street. Park, walk up to
the levee and scan the flock of ducks to the right, which included 60
American Wigeon, 20 Ring-necked Ducks and the Eurasian Wigeon. It was still
there when I left at 11 am.

Peter Barnes,
Gresham. .

Back to top
Date: 10/28/18 5:44 pm
From: Stefan Schlick <greenfant...>
Subject: [PortlandAreaBirds] Northern Shrike at Jackson Bottom
A juvenile Northern Shrike was near 45.503435, -122.988166 at Jackson Bottom this afternoon, feeding on Grasshoppers.

I also heard a Red-shouldered Hawk, but otherwise it was very slow.

Stefan Schlick
Hillsboro, OR

Back to top
Date: 10/27/18 7:13 pm
From: peter barnes <pbarnes123...>
Subject: [PortlandAreaBirds] Snow Geese Sauvie Island today
This morning, my sister, niece and I observed 42 Snow Geese in a flock of
5000+ predominantly Cackling Geese on Sauvie Island Road, soon after you
get off the bridge and before you get to Reeder Rd. Another 13 Snow Geese
were with a smaller flock of Cackling/Canada Geese on Reeder Rd, soon after
you pass the intersection with Oak Island Road. No luck with the Northern
Waterthrush on Rentenaar Road.

Peter Barnes,
Gresham

Back to top
Date: 10/27/18 9:06 am
From: <jan.m.risser...>
Subject: [PortlandAreaBirds] Hooded mergansers Tabor

At least 3 female hooded mergs upper west reservoir (no. 5) Tabor now-9:05
Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 10/25/18 2:46 pm
From: Stefan Schlick <greenfant...>
Subject: [PortlandAreaBirds] Swamp Sparrow along Rentenaar Rd, Sauvie Island
I went to Rentenaar Rd this morning before the rain started and refound Steve Nord's juvenile Northern Shrike from the dike on the west end of the road.

Steve also saw 2 Swamp Sparrows off the Mudhen parking area near that dike yesterday. Today, I did not see these birds, but did hear and see at least one bird at the area where the seed patch used to be (45.757652, -122.780767).

Stefan Schlick
Hillsboro, OR

Back to top
Date: 10/22/18 2:26 pm
From: Wilson Cady <gorgebirds...>
Subject: Re: [PortlandAreaBirds] RFI: Longest CBC Compilers, Attendees
I was the co-compiler for the Sauvie Island CBC (Washington side of the circle) for 35 years. Wilson Cady
Columbia River Gorge, WA

Date: 10/18/18 7:02 pm
From: Will Risser <wlrisser...>
Subject: [PortlandAreaBirds] Merlin at Tabor
Merlin this morning on top of a fir near the southwest corner of the highest resevoir on the west side of the park (no. 3?).

Back to top
Date: 10/18/18 12:38 pm
From: John Powell <jsp255...>
Subject: [PortlandAreaBirds] Mt. Tabor crossbills, etc.
This morning I had a flyover flock of Red Crossbills at Mt. Tabor Park, the first I have detected there in about a year. Also some siskins, a Bufflehead on the upper Reservoir, and a flyover of three ravens.

John Powell
Portland