bostonbirds
Received From Subject
1/12/22 5:48 pm 'Paul Peterson' via Boston Birds <bostonbirds...> [BostonBirds] 1/12 Deer Island Iceland Gulls and Impressive Eider Raft, etc.
1/10/22 5:32 pm 'Paul Peterson' via Boston Birds <bostonbirds...> [BostonBirds] 1/10 Snow Buntings at Winthrop Beach
1/10/22 4:00 pm 'Paul Peterson' via Boston Birds <bostonbirds...> [BostonBirds] 1/8 Marsh Wren Continues at Millennium Park, etc.
1/6/22 5:47 pm 'Paul Peterson' via Boston Birds <bostonbirds...> [BostonBirds] 3/6 Castle Island in South Boston Great Variety
1/5/22 5:46 pm 'Paul Peterson' via Boston Birds <bostonbirds...> [BostonBirds] 1/5 Wilson's Warbler Continues McLaughlin Woods
1/4/22 5:49 pm 'Paul Peterson' via Boston Birds <bostonbirds...> [BostonBirds] 1/2 Singing Winter Wren at Millennium Park, Spring Peeper Cutler Park
1/4/22 5:46 pm 'Paul Peterson' via Boston Birds <bostonbirds...> [BostonBirds] 1/2 Cutler Park Reservation and Millennium Park-Marsh Wren, etc.
1/4/22 4:34 pm 'Paul Peterson' via Boston Birds <bostonbirds...> [BostonBirds] First Day in Chestnut Hill Area-Clay-colored Sparrow Continues, etc.
12/29/21 4:47 pm 'Paul Peterson' via Boston Birds <bostonbirds...> [BostonBirds] Addendum
12/29/21 4:45 pm 'Paul Peterson' via Boston Birds <bostonbirds...> [BostonBirds] 12/29 Clay-colored Sparrow at Holyhood Cemetery in Brookline
12/21/21 5:43 pm 'Paul Peterson' via Boston Birds <bostonbirds...> [BostonBirds] Winter Wren 1st day of Winter in Newton
12/20/21 4:17 pm 'Paul Peterson' via Boston Birds <bostonbirds...> [BostonBirds] 12/20 Jamaica Pond-Well Over One-hundred Hooded Mereganser.

Back to top
Date: 1/12/22 5:48 pm
From: 'Paul Peterson' via Boston Birds <bostonbirds...>
Subject: [BostonBirds] 1/12 Deer Island Iceland Gulls and Impressive Eider Raft, etc.
I walked the full length of the scenic ocean side of the island. The other side (harbor side) was windy with choppy water. I didn't bird that side.:

Common Loon 1
Red-throated Loon 3
Brant 28                               with eider raft
Common Eider                    500 (roughly)
Long-tailed Duck 5+
Black Scoter 8
Surf Scoter 15
White-winged Scoter 10
Greater Scaup 10
Bufflehead 10
Red-breasted Merganser 10
Common Goldeneye 13
Iceland Gull 6                             just beyond the three yellow hypochlorite tanks (usual annual winter spot)

P.S. There was an American Wigeon at Crystal Cove in Winthrop (near end of Washington St. in back)

Paul Peterson
<petersonpaul63...>
Boston

Back to top
Date: 1/10/22 5:32 pm
From: 'Paul Peterson' via Boston Birds <bostonbirds...>
Subject: [BostonBirds] 1/10 Snow Buntings at Winthrop Beach
This evening, I had a flock of approximately seventy Snow Buntings at this rather reliable spot for them. (lots of beach grasses here, hence lots of seeds. They initially were feeding in a direct line from the two brick homes near Ocean Ave.

Paul Peterson
<petersonpaul63...>
Boston

Back to top
Date: 1/10/22 4:00 pm
From: 'Paul Peterson' via Boston Birds <bostonbirds...>
Subject: [BostonBirds] 1/8 Marsh Wren Continues at Millennium Park, etc.
I birded this place, which is in West Roxbury, from 1:50-400.

Great Blue Heron 1                 heron swamp
Green-winged Teal 1              heron swamp with twenty-five or so Mallard Ducks
Red-tailed Hawk 1                  woodpecker corner; perched
Brown Creeper 1
Golden-crowned Kinglet 2+
MARSH WREN 1                  woodpecker corner; heard, then seen
Eastern Bluebird 3                woodpecker corner; probably same three I saw in Needham (Cutler Park) about one week ago
American Tree Sparrow 6
Swamp Sparrow 4

Paul Peterson
<petersonpaul63...>
Boston

Back to top
Date: 1/6/22 5:47 pm
From: 'Paul Peterson' via Boston Birds <bostonbirds...>
Subject: [BostonBirds] 3/6 Castle Island in South Boston Great Variety
Red-throated Loon 2
Common Loon 4
Brant 5
Canada Goose 8
American Black Duck 6
Long-tailed Duck 1
White-winged Scoter 3
Surf Scoter 4
Common Eider 70
Bufflehead 12
Common Goldeneye 10
Red-breasted Merganser 10
Purple Sandpiper 5       first cut in walk out in the harbor (near beginning)
Ruddy Turnstone 2       very beginning of walk out in the harbor-left side
Dunlin 38                      totally other end of walk-roosting on rocks
Harbor Seal 2

Paul Peterson
<petersonpaul63...>
Boston

Back to top
Date: 1/5/22 5:46 pm
From: 'Paul Peterson' via Boston Birds <bostonbirds...>
Subject: [BostonBirds] 1/5 Wilson's Warbler Continues McLaughlin Woods
I heard a call more wren-like than warbler-like, so I pished. Out came an absolutely gorgeous Wilson's Warbler. This was more than an hour after I began looking for it. This is obviously one of the two western subspecies, due to its brightness of color. Has it been about four weeks since Lauren Grimes first found this?

Paul Peterson
<petersonpaul63...>
Boston

Back to top
Date: 1/4/22 5:49 pm
From: 'Paul Peterson' via Boston Birds <bostonbirds...>
Subject: [BostonBirds] 1/2 Singing Winter Wren at Millennium Park, Spring Peeper Cutler Park
Wow! Singing behind the basin beyond ball field. Spring Peeper calling in January!

Paul Peterson
<petersonpaul63...>
Boston

Back to top
Date: 1/4/22 5:46 pm
From: 'Paul Peterson' via Boston Birds <bostonbirds...>
Subject: [BostonBirds] 1/2 Cutler Park Reservation and Millennium Park-Marsh Wren, etc.
I birded the Dedham section of Cutler(including Pine Island) and some of the Needham section. I then birded rather briefly at Millennium Park.

Bald Eagle 1                    M.P. on one of the two very tall cell towers
small falcon sp. 1            M.P. perched atop tree in heron swamp
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Marsh Wren 1                 M.P. along the path; a bit beyond the basin, heading towards woodpecker corner
Winter Wren 3                M.P. two; C.P. 1 (one of the M.P. ones near Marsh Wren)
Eastern Bluebird 3          Cutler Park; next to train tracks near Rte. 128
SWAMP SPARROW 10  Cutler Park; mostly in Pine Island area

Paul Peterson
<petersonpaul63...>
Boston

Back to top
Date: 1/4/22 4:34 pm
From: 'Paul Peterson' via Boston Birds <bostonbirds...>
Subject: [BostonBirds] First Day in Chestnut Hill Area-Clay-colored Sparrow Continues, etc.
I covered parts of THREE COUNTIES, all areas within Chestnut Hill. I started at the Chestnut Hill Reservoir, then on to Hammond Pond Reservation, and finally on to Holyhood Cemetery. (Go look at a map)

Ring-necked Duck 5          H.P.R.
Hooded Merganser 8
Common Merganser 40+
Greater Scaup 2               C.H.R.
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 1
Brown Creeper 2                           H.P.R.
Winter Wren 1                               H.P.R.
Golden-crowned Kinglet 2            H.P.R.
CLAY-COLORED SPARROW 1   Continuing from 12/29 (seen 1/4 by J.Ryan Doherty near the chapel, which is where i had it both times, below the stairway
Dark-eyed Junco 100                   50 H.P.R.,50 Holyhood Cemetery

Paul Peterson
<petersonpaul63...>
Boston

Back to top
Date: 12/29/21 4:47 pm
From: 'Paul Peterson' via Boston Birds <bostonbirds...>
Subject: [BostonBirds] Addendum
Northern Flicker 4     all in same area (all flushed by me)

Paul Peterson
<petersonpaul63...>
Boston

Back to top
Date: 12/29/21 4:45 pm
From: 'Paul Peterson' via Boston Birds <bostonbirds...>
Subject: [BostonBirds] 12/29 Clay-colored Sparrow at Holyhood Cemetery in Brookline
I birded here from 1:50-3:00. This place is accessed from Heath St. near Hammond St. Route 9 is very close.

Cooper's Hawk                    perched in same tree the entire time
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Dark-eyed Junco 50+
Clay-colored Sparrow 1      with juncos at White Ave. and Carroll Ave.

Paul Peterson
<petersonpaul63...>
Boston

Back to top
Date: 12/21/21 5:43 pm
From: 'Paul Peterson' via Boston Birds <bostonbirds...>
Subject: [BostonBirds] Winter Wren 1st day of Winter in Newton
At Kennard Conservation area, great annual locale for them. Unseen, calling in wetland, I believe near the end of, appropriately enough, Audubon Dr. This was at 3:35 p.m. A beautiful Swamp Sparrow was at Hammond Pond in Chestnut Hill. Three Carolina Wrens at Lost Pond Conservation Area in Brookline.

Paul Peterson
<petersonpaul63...>
Boston

Back to top
Date: 12/20/21 4:17 pm
From: 'Paul Peterson' via Boston Birds <bostonbirds...>
Subject: [BostonBirds] 12/20 Jamaica Pond-Well Over One-hundred Hooded Mereganser.
At least one-hundred and twenty-five Hooded Merganser at dusk. Perhaps this is a nightly roosting place for them. About ten days ago, there were also approximately the same number at dusk.

Paul Peterson
<petersonpaul63...>
Boston