bostonbirds
Received From Subject
3/22/24 11:02 am <neil.c......> <neil.calabro1...> [BostonBirds] Squantum Bird Walk Cancelled!
3/20/24 1:54 pm 'Michael McCarthy' via Boston Birds <bostonbirds...> [BostonBirds] Scarboro Pond, Frankin Park, 3-20-24
3/19/24 5:38 pm 'Paul Peterson' via Boston Birds <bostonbirds...> [BostonBirds] 3/18 Weston--Another Purple Finch And A Fox Sparrow, etc.
3/17/24 1:17 pm 'Paul Peterson' via Boston Birds <bostonbirds...> [BostonBirds] 3/16 Jericho Town Forest Part Two
3/14/24 5:26 pm 'Paul Peterson' via Boston Birds <bostonbirds...> [BostonBirds] Pine Siskins, Pine Warblers and a Purple Finch Jericho Town Forest
3/13/24 3:37 pm 'Paul Peterson' via Boston Birds <bostonbirds...> [BostonBirds] Ogilvie Town Forest in Weston
3/8/24 10:36 am 'Paul Peterson' via Boston Birds <bostonbirds...> [BostonBirds] 3/7 Northern Pintail at Muddy River in Brookline
3/7/24 9:59 am 'Paul Peterson' via Boston Birds <bostonbirds...> [BostonBirds] 3/6 Hammond Pond Reservation Highlights

Back to top
Date: 3/22/24 11:02 am
From: <neil.c......> <neil.calabro1...>
Subject: [BostonBirds] Squantum Bird Walk Cancelled!
Hi folks,

I'm sorry to announce that tomorrow's (Sat., Mar. 23) BBC-BNC bird walk at
Squantum is cancelled due to predicted heavy rain.

We have other walks scheduled throughout the spring which you can see on
the BBC or BNC websites.

Good birding!

Neil

Back to top
Date: 3/20/24 1:54 pm
From: 'Michael McCarthy' via Boston Birds <bostonbirds...>
Subject: [BostonBirds] Scarboro Pond, Frankin Park, 3-20-24
I observed the following birds during a quick visit to Scarboro Pond at Franklin Park this afternoon, from 2:45-3:15 PM:
1 double-crested cormorant (FOY)1 gadwall (drake)18 mallard12 American black ducks42 Canada geese4 tufted titmouse3 black-capped chickadee1 golden-crowned kinglet1 red-bellied woodpecker3 song sparrow
Cheers,
Mike McCarthyWest Roxbury, MA

Back to top
Date: 3/19/24 5:38 pm
From: 'Paul Peterson' via Boston Birds <bostonbirds...>
Subject: [BostonBirds] 3/18 Weston--Another Purple Finch And A Fox Sparrow, etc.
I walked up Church St. a short distance from Kendall Green Station to go down a trail that leads out to a big field (blaze marker is a short distance from the big red barn) This proved a good decision, as I found the following birds on this short trail which ends at Viles St.
:
Brown Creeper 1
Red-breasted Nuthatch 1
Fox Sparrow 1                    feeding on wooded slope off to the left in thicket area
White-throated Sparrow 10  with Fox Sparrow
American Tree Sparrow 1
Purple Finch 1                   singing in thicket area
American Goldfinch 40      wild guess, at times calls were defeaning; up in pines
Pine Siskin 2
House Finch 3+

Elsewhere in beautiful Weston:

Great Blue Heron 1
Wood Duck 5          wetland near rail trail
Lesser Scaup 1       Weston Station Pond
scaup sp. 4             Weston Station Pond
Ring-necked Duck 9 Weston Station Pond
Bufflehead 14+        Weston Station Pond
Turkey Vulture 1       near town center(beuutiful place)
Red-tailed Hawk 2
American Woodcock x  displaying in field next to station
Barred Owl 1             calling along rail trail
Great Horned Owl 2   incl. one young. begging
Eastern Phoebe 1    same spot as previous visit
Eastern Bluebird 5    incl. four together along rail trail
Raccoon 1
Roadside farm stand that uses the honor system 1   Wow!

P.S. I have had fifty-four bird species over this past week all from the town of Weston

Paul Peterson
<petersonpaul63...>
Boston

Back to top
Date: 3/17/24 1:17 pm
From: 'Paul Peterson' via Boston Birds <bostonbirds...>
Subject: [BostonBirds] 3/16 Jericho Town Forest Part Two
The last time I was here,(a few days ago) I barely scratched the surface. So, I went again on another beautiful day. This time, I started at the extreme SE, and went all the way to the extreme NW. (Ripley Lane) I followed the Mass Bay Circuit Trail back to the rail trail(SW). I then explored  trails that come off the rail trail south of the rail trail, some of which wasn't part of Jericho Town Forest. I birded from 11:00-7:20.

Great Blue Heron 1
Wood Duck 17                    incl. thirteen at dusk flying over
Turkey Vulture 1                  near train station
Cooper's Hawk 1
Red-shouldered Hawk 2         minimum
Red-tailed Hawk 2
American Woodcock 4          displaying in field at train station
Great Horned Owl 1              hunting over filed near station
Barred Owl 2                        heard far apart along rail trail
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 1    FOY ad. fem. on trail diagonally opp.  from Buckskin Lane near Old Post Rd.
Pileated Woodpecker 2
Hairy Woodpecker 5
Eastern Phoebe 4          FOY;
Common Raven 2
Red-breasted Nuthatch 4
Brown Creeper 17            Wow!
Winter Wren 2
Eastern Bluebird 5
Pine Warbler 3
White-throated Sparrow 15+
Rusty Blackbird 1                min.; heard from rail trail
Pine Siskin 20                incl. sizable flock near the letter Y on trail maps
Pussy Willow 1

Paul Peterson
<petersonpaul63...>
Boston

Back to top
Date: 3/14/24 5:26 pm
From: 'Paul Peterson' via Boston Birds <bostonbirds...>
Subject: [BostonBirds] Pine Siskins, Pine Warblers and a Purple Finch Jericho Town Forest
This place is in Weston. It is quite beautiful, with so many birds. I covered the eastern section from 2:25-5:25. There were ten or more Pine Warblers on the ground at the Weston Orchard near College Pond. I watched as they all dropped down to the ground. WOW! Something spooked them and they all went into the nearby trees, not to be seen or heard  from again! Very odd. And to think this was a year bird for me. Lots of PINE SISKINS here as well: This place is five hundred acres in size. There are several paths into the forest from the rail trail. (Central Mass Rail Trail Wayside). It seemed surprising to me that my first butterly species of the season was not a Mourning Cloak, but instead THREE EASTERN COMMAS (or Question Marks)

Wood Duck 2
Ring-necked Duck 1    College Pond
Cooper's Hawk 1
Red-tailed Hawk 1   seen near train station
Red-shouldered Hawk 1     heard along rail trail
Killdeer 1                     bit of mudflat on pond
Barred Owl 1                    heard along rail trail on way up and on way back!
Belted Kingfisher 1         Kendall Green Station
Hairy Woodpecker 1+
Common Raven 1
Red-breasted Nuthatch 4
Brown Creeper 5             minimum; some singing
Winter Wren 3+               one singing at a footbridge
Eastern Bluebird 3+        edge of College Pond
PINE WARBLER 10+     F.O.Y.  also three along rail trail
PINE SISKINS 15          F.O.Y. heard in several locations; some seen
PURPLE FINCH 1          F.O.Y. heard sweet warble repeatedly near College Pond
EASTERN COMMA or QUESTION MARK 3

Paul Peterson
<petersonpaul63...>
Boston

Back to top
Date: 3/13/24 3:37 pm
From: 'Paul Peterson' via Boston Birds <bostonbirds...>
Subject: [BostonBirds] Ogilvie Town Forest in Weston
I didn't even know that this place existed. I was on my way to the Jericho Town Forest and College Conservation Area. Along the way, i noticed a trail blaze on a tree and decided to enter this very narrow opening. Wow! I enjoyed myself so much that I didn't even make it to my destination, but didn't care:

Red-shouldered Hawk 2               MATING and calling loudly
Pileated Woodpecker 1                adult male
Hairy Woodpecker 1
RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH 2   F.O.Y.
Brown Creeper 3                         together
Golden-crowned Kinglet 5
Winter Wren 2
Carolina Wren 2
Dark-eyed Junco 8
Christmas Fern
Wood Frogs                             quacking in wetland; F.O.Y.

Paul Peterson
<petersonpaul63...>
Boston

Back to top
Date: 3/8/24 10:36 am
From: 'Paul Peterson' via Boston Birds <bostonbirds...>
Subject: [BostonBirds] 3/7 Northern Pintail at Muddy River in Brookline
Much to my delight, I found a beautiful adult male Northern Pintail on the Muddy River at noon today. It is at the Olmstead-designed footbridge near where Netherlands Rd., comes out to  the Riverway (name of road)
It may be difficult to see if it is snoozing up against the bank, There are several Mallards and American Black Ducks in the area too. I now need only Blue-winged Teal to complete the dabbling duck possibilities for the year. The Northern Pintail brought the number down to just one. (I don't believe Eurasian Teal is a species separate from Green-winged Teal)

Paul Peterson
<petersonpaul63...>
Boston

P.S. you could park at Leverett Pond and cross the road and go down the Muddy River Path. In one-third of a mile or less, you will be at the spot

Back to top
Date: 3/7/24 9:59 am
From: 'Paul Peterson' via Boston Birds <bostonbirds...>
Subject: [BostonBirds] 3/6 Hammond Pond Reservation Highlights
This place may be bigger than you realize. A  new section of considerable size opened up two years ago or so. Add Houghton Garden and the woods on both sides of Hammond Pond Parkway to it.

NORTHERN SHOVELER 1 Seen on 3/5 from the train in wetland
Ring-necked Duck 100
scaup sp. 7                     two males
Common Merganser 17
Hooded Merganser 7
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Cooper's Hawk 1            chased by the buteo
Northern Flicker 2
Hairy Woodpecker 1+
Common Raven 1
Brown Creeper 1           Houghton Garden
Golden-crowned Kinglet 5
Winter Wren 1                    just beyond pedestrian track crossing on left
Carolina Wren 2
P.S. there were four Y.-R. Warblers along river trail in Waban two days ago; also, a Belted Kingfisher and a perched Cooper's Hawk and Hairy Woodpecker

Paul Peterson
<petersonpaul63...>
Boston