arlingtonbirds
Received From Subject
8/20/18 5:52 pm Linda Thompson <lthom781...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...> [Arlington Birds] Medford Dam and Upper Mystic Lake 8/20/2018
8/19/18 5:30 am Kenneth Stampfer <kenstampfer...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...> Re: [Arlington Birds] Cedar Waxwing day. Upper Mystic Lake 8/18/2018 [1 Attachment]
8/18/18 7:06 pm Linda Thompson <lthom781...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...> [Arlington Birds] Cedar Waxwing day. Upper Mystic Lake 8/18/2018
8/18/18 3:22 pm Linda Ireland <melrosebungalow...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...> Re: [Arlington Birds] Fwd: Mystery Bird Call [1 Attachment]
8/18/18 2:49 pm MJ Keeler <maryjane.keeler...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...> Re: [Arlington Birds] Fwd: Mystery Bird Call
8/18/18 8:19 am Michael Alexander <mna.ma...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...> Re: [Arlington Birds] Fwd: Mystery Bird Call
8/18/18 7:12 am Melissa <stellaluna52...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...> [Arlington Birds] Fwd: Mystery Bird Call [1 Attachment]
8/18/18 7:05 am Melissa <stellaluna52...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...> [Arlington Birds] Anyone know this sound? [1 Attachment]
8/16/18 7:22 pm Liz Thorstenson <lizzylee...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...> Re: [Arlington Birds] nighthawks!
8/16/18 5:11 pm 'Alan Ankers' <alankers...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...> [Arlington Birds] nighthawks!
8/16/18 11:48 am 'Alan & Ruth Bragg' <alan.ruth.bragg...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...> [Arlington Birds] Great Meadows NWR--Concord Unit, Aug 16, 2018
8/16/18 8:18 am Kenneth Stampfer <kenstampfer...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...> [Arlington Birds] At the dam this morning [3 Attachments]
8/16/18 5:14 am 'Alan Ankers' <alankers...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...> [Arlington Birds] Dragonfly walk on Saturday
8/14/18 2:37 pm <sarloub...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...> [Arlington Birds] Amazing bird encounters
8/13/18 8:05 am 'Alan Ankers' <alankers...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...> [Arlington Birds] Visiting birder
8/11/18 9:45 am 'Alan & Lisa Ankers' <alankers...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...> [Arlington Birds] trip leaders needed
8/9/18 7:21 am 'Alan & Ruth Bragg' <alan.ruth.bragg...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...> [Arlington Birds] Great Meadows NWR--Concord Unit, Aug 9, 2018
8/2/18 2:18 pm 472Matthew Nash <parkranger553...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...> [Arlington Birds] Fw: CANCELLATION Belle Isle Marsh DCR Program CANCELLATION Sat 8/4 Belle Isle Marsh
8/2/18 1:56 pm 472Matthew Nash <parkranger553...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...> [Arlington Birds] CANCELLATION Belle Isle Marsh DCR Program CANCELLATION Sat 8/4 Belle Isle Marsh
8/2/18 8:44 am 'Alan & Ruth Bragg' <alan.ruth.bragg...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...> [Arlington Birds] Great Meadows NWR--Concord Unit, Aug 2, 2018
8/1/18 8:26 pm Linda Thompson <lthom781...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...> [Arlington Birds] Upper Mystic Lake. 8/1/2018
8/1/18 5:21 pm <phawk254...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...> [Arlington Birds] 2018 HMANA Hawk Migration Conference, Detroit, MI, October 12-14, 2018
8/1/18 8:10 am Anna Piccolo <sweetestlight9...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...> [Arlington Birds] California’s Birds Are Testing New Survival Tactics on a Vast Scale - The New York Times
7/30/18 6:04 am Anna Piccolo <sweetestlight9...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...> [Arlington Birds] The Washington Post: The crane who fell in love with a human
7/27/18 2:00 pm Mimi Bix-Hylan <mimibixh...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...> [Arlington Birds] seemingly House Wren babies abandoned
7/27/18 5:38 am Anna Piccolo <sweetestlight9...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...> [Arlington Birds] 1 Hen, 76 Ducklings: What’s the Deal With This Picture? - The New York Times
7/26/18 8:36 am 'Alan & Ruth Bragg' <alan.ruth.bragg...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...> [Arlington Birds] Great Meadows NWR--Concord Unit, Jul 26, 2018
7/26/18 7:01 am <juliecroston...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...> [Arlington Birds] Fly, Buzz, and Honk! Festival postponed to tomorrow 7/27 [2 Attachments]

Back to top
Date: 8/20/18 5:52 pm
From: Linda Thompson <lthom781...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] Medford Dam and Upper Mystic Lake 8/20/2018
Stopped off at the Dam around noon. The only activity at that time was a
Great Blue Heron. It stayed around for a few minutes than flew off with
another Great Blue toward the lower part of the lake. Went up to the Upper
Lake fore bay and the Cedar Waxwings where doing the same things they did a
few days ago. They very seldom land and stay very long unless it is in a
tree

Have posted some photos at: https://photos.app.goo.gl/BwiFyaJkAnigVbc93.
Mystic Lakes 2018 Album.

Happy Birding

Linda Thompson
Arlington

Back to top
Date: 8/19/18 5:30 am
From: Kenneth Stampfer <kenstampfer...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [Arlington Birds] Cedar Waxwing day. Upper Mystic Lake 8/18/2018 [1 Attachment]
Thanks for the report, Linda. I was there about 7:30 this morning (Sunday) and delighted to see many of these beautiful birds.
Ken Stampfer

Back to top
Date: 8/18/18 7:06 pm
From: Linda Thompson <lthom781...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] Cedar Waxwing day. Upper Mystic Lake 8/18/2018
Arrived shortly before noon today. There were Cedar Waxwings everywhere.
Mostly in the algae in groups. Just as I was leaving they all flew. There
were still some in branches over the water. Don't know where they went.
Didn't see much activity after that.

Have posted photos at: https://photos.app.goo.gl/BwiFyaJkAnigVbc93. Mystic
Lakes Album. Maybe too many, but they were interesting to watch.

If any one knows how to be able to share my other albums in Google Photos,
unless sharing each individual album with different links, please let me
know. At one time Google said it couldn't be done. In Picasa all albums
were shared with one link.

Happy Birding

Linda Thompson
Arlington

Back to top
Date: 8/18/18 3:22 pm
From: Linda Ireland <melrosebungalow...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [Arlington Birds] Fwd: Mystery Bird Call [1 Attachment]

Hi Melissa,
I amplified your recording in Audacity and it sounds like a “Gurgle” call of either a Common Raven https://academy.allaboutbirds.org/peterson-field-guide-to-bird-sounds/?species=Common+Raven+-+Corvus+corax&speciesCode=comrav <https://academy.allaboutbirds.org/peterson-field-guide-to-bird-sounds/?species=Common+Raven+-+Corvus+corax&speciesCode=comrav> or an American Crow https://academy.allaboutbirds.org/peterson-field-guide-to-bird-sounds/?species=American+Crow+-+Corvus+brachyrhynchos&speciesCode=amecro <https://academy.allaboutbirds.org/peterson-field-guide-to-bird-sounds/?species=American+Crow+-+Corvus+brachyrhynchos&speciesCode=amecro>

Petersonbirdsounds.com <http://petersonbirdsounds.com/> is an amazing resource for discovering uncommon calls of common birds.

Linda

> On Aug 18, 2018, at 10:12 AM, Melissa <stellaluna52...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...> wrote:
>
> Not sure the sound file attached properly to my email, so forwarding the original email with sound file.

Back to top
Date: 8/18/18 2:49 pm
From: MJ Keeler <maryjane.keeler...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [Arlington Birds] Fwd: Mystery Bird Call
Sounds more like a mammal than a bird?

MJ

On Sat, Aug 18, 2018 at 11:18 AM, Michael Alexander <mna.ma...>
[arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...> wrote:

> Melissa,
>
> Have you tried using Merlin, Cornell Lab of Ornithology' bird ID app?
>
> -- Mike Alexander
>
> On Saturday, August 18, 2018, 10:12 AM, Melissa <stellaluna52...>
> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...> wrote:
>
> Not sure the sound file attached properly to my email, so forwarding the
> original email with sound file.
>

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> *Date:* August 17, 2018 at 11:27:04 PM EDT
> *To:* Melissa <stellaluna52...>
> *Subject:* *Mystery Bird Call*
>
> Hi Melissa,
>

> Any ideas on what bird this is? Heard in early morning so I am thinking
> owl family.
>
> Thanks.

Back to top

Date: 8/18/18 7:12 am
From: Melissa <stellaluna52...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...>
Not sure the sound file attached properly to my email, so forwarding the original email with sound file.

Begin forwarded message:

> Date: August 17, 2018 at 11:27:04 PM EDT
> To: Melissa <stellaluna52...>
> Subject: Mystery Bird Call
>
> Hi Melissa,
>

> Any ideas on what bird this is? Heard in early morning so I am thinking owl family.
>
> Thanks.

Back to top
Date: 8/18/18 7:05 am
From: Melissa <stellaluna52...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] Anyone know this sound? [1 Attachment]
<*>[Attachment(s) from Melissa included below]

A friend sent me this recording; it was recorded locally in the early morning.
I’ve not heard a sound like this, so am stumped as to what it could be!
Any ideas?

<*>Attachment(s) from Melissa:

<*> whatbird.mp3

------------------------------------
Posted by: Melissa <stellaluna52...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
<arlingtonbirds-digest...>
<arlingtonbirds-fullfeatured...>

<arlingtonbirds-unsubscribe...>

Thanks,
Melissa

Back to top
Date: 8/16/18 7:22 pm
From: Liz Thorstenson <lizzylee...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [Arlington Birds] nighthawks!
To add to Alan’s message, my husband and I were leaving a movie in Harvard Square and clearly heard two nighthawks calling and flying overhead.. They were in the vicinity of the old cemetery and the Common.

Neat!

Liz

Sent from my miniature device.

> On Aug 16, 2018, at 8:10 PM, 'Alan Ankers' <alankers...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...> wrote:
>
> Finally, a nice evening, the first in a while that we’ve been able to sit out on the patio and relax. I mentioned that it’s getting close to the time that nighthawks should start showing up. Sure enough, around seven, with Ravens calling in the distance, four nighthawks flew over, making a beeline to the south.
>

> Alan Ankers
>
> Carlisle, MA

Back to top

Date: 8/16/18 11:48 am
From: 'Alan & Ruth Bragg' <alan.ruth.bragg...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] Great Meadows NWR--Concord Unit, Aug 16, 2018
Great Meadows NWR--Concord Unit, Middlesex, Massachusetts, US
Aug 16, 2018 5:29 AM - 10:22 AM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments: Weekly survey by NWR volunteers David, Tim, Jalen, Zena,
Jonathan, Kathy, Joan, Audrey, Janet, Frank,Will and Alan
57 species (+2 other taxa)

Canada Goose 75
Mute Swan 2
Wood Duck 35
Mallard 25
Wild Turkey 2
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 5
Mourning Dove 20
Chimney Swift 6
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 18 *high: Exact count of all birds flying
southeast along dike and seen at other locations. Awesome numbers, with no
evidence of circling back.
Virginia Rail (Virginia) 1 Heard and crossed at beginning of dike.
Sora 1 Adult in view for a while at edge of beginning of dike.
Killdeer 3
Double-crested Cormorant 1
Great Blue Heron (Blue form) 8
Great Egret 1
Green Heron 4
Black-crowned Night-Heron 1 Flew into back marshes of upper
impoundment early.
Osprey (carolinensis) 1
Red-tailed Hawk (borealis) 1
Belted Kingfisher 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 4
Downy Woodpecker (Eastern) 5
Hairy Woodpecker (Eastern) 2
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted) 3
Eastern Wood-Pewee 6
Willow Flycatcher 1
Alder/Willow Flycatcher (Traill's Flycatcher) 1
Eastern Phoebe 2
Great Crested Flycatcher 1
Eastern Kingbird 7
Warbling Vireo (Eastern) 5
Blue Jay 12
American Crow 2
Tree Swallow 1
Barn Swallow (American) 20
Black-capped Chickadee 8
Tufted Titmouse 5
White-breasted Nuthatch (Eastern) 5
House Wren (Northern) 1
Marsh Wren (palustris Group) 12
Carolina Wren 1
Veery 1
American Robin 10
Gray Catbird 8
European Starling 12
Cedar Waxwing 10
House Finch 3
American Goldfinch 30
Song Sparrow (melodia/atlantica) 20
Swamp Sparrow 3
Bobolink 30
Baltimore Oriole 2
Red-winged Blackbird (Red-winged) 35
Common Grackle (Bronzed) 10
Common Yellowthroat 8
Yellow Warbler (Northern) 4
warbler sp. (Parulidae sp.) 1
Northern Cardinal 1
Rose-breasted Grosbeak 2
Alan Bragg
Bedford MA

Back to top
Date: 8/16/18 8:18 am
From: Kenneth Stampfer <kenstampfer...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] At the dam this morning [3 Attachments]
Hello all,
An early visit to the dam this morning was rewarded with the presence of a patient great blue heron, a restless great egret, and a couple of what I believe to be juvenile black-crowned night herons. Please correct me if I am wrong about the latter.
Best,
Ken Stampfer

Back to top
Date: 8/16/18 5:14 am
From: 'Alan Ankers' <alankers...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] Dragonfly walk on Saturday
The Carlisle Conservation Foundation's final dragonfly walk of the season is
on Saturday, at 10:00 AM at the Cranberry Bog, 750 Curve Street in Carlisle.

There should be a few birds around too! I hope some of you will join us.

Alan Ankers

Carlisle, MA

Back to top
Date: 8/14/18 2:37 pm
From: <sarloub...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] Amazing bird encounters
Hi folks,
I just wanted to share 3 cool bird sightings I have had since yesterday-
1. At Mahoneys in Winchester yesterday am there were at least 10 goldfinches flying in and around their sunflowers in front of the building. At first it looked like the flowers were moving because the colors matched so well. Beautiful.
2. At the corner of Boston Ave and 16 I saw 2 hawks (I think red tails) flying about. One had a rodent in its talons and flew about 10 feet over my head. They settled in those taller trees.
3. This morning I drove past 5 turkeys on Sharon St. in someone's yard. That's the most I've seen in our neighborhood.

Highlights of my week!
Sarah Button

Back to top
Date: 8/13/18 8:05 am
From: 'Alan Ankers' <alankers...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] Visiting birder
If anybody is interested I taking a visitor from Finland out birding in our
area between Aug 20 and 23, please contact Johan directly (<jlinden...>
<mailto:<jlinden...> ) see below.

Alan Ankers
Carlisle, MA

My name is Johan Lindn. I'm a bird watcher from Finland visiting Boston on
Aug 19th -24th. I will live in Cambridge during this period.

I would be interested in meeting up with birders, or join a birding trip
during that time. I will be available from Aug 20th -23rd? I will be staying
with my wife in Cambridge at some relatives of her.

Back to top
Date: 8/11/18 9:45 am
From: 'Alan & Lisa Ankers' <alankers...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] trip leaders needed
The Trips Committee of the Menotomy Bird Club is currently assembling a
schedule for walks in the coming fall and winter months, and we are looking
for more volunteers to lead trips for us. The main qualification for this is
simply that you know a place to go birding and know your way around it. You
DON'T need to be an expert birder; you don't need to know more than anybody
else who might show up - others who join the trip can help you out if
necessary. While our mission has generally been to focus primarily on local
birding opportunities, we have in the past held several trips to popular
birding destinations slightly further afield, such as Plum Island, and those
are actually some of the trips we have lost from our schedule as a result of
leaders retiring.

If you are interested in helping out, please contact me. The Trips Committee
will be more than happy to help you plan your trip.

Thank you

Alan Ankers

Trips Committee

Menotomy Bird Club

Back to top
Date: 8/9/18 7:21 am
From: 'Alan & Ruth Bragg' <alan.ruth.bragg...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] Great Meadows NWR--Concord Unit, Aug 9, 2018
Great Meadows NWR--Concord Unit, Middlesex, Massachusetts, US
Aug 9, 2018 6:00 AM - 9:18 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.1 mile(s)
Comments: Weekly survey by NWR volunteers Joan, Janet, Maryellen,
Kathy, Will & Alan
38 species (+2 other taxa)

Wood Duck 5
Mallard 3
Double-crested Cormorant 7
Great Blue Heron 5
Green Heron 2
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Solitary Sandpiper 1
Mourning Dove 4
Chimney Swift 6
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 5
Red-bellied Woodpecker 3
Downy Woodpecker 2
Northern Flicker 3
Eastern Wood-Pewee 2
Willow Flycatcher 1
Alder/Willow Flycatcher (Traill's Flycatcher) 2
Eastern Phoebe 3
Eastern Kingbird 8
Blue Jay 4
Tree Swallow 3
Barn Swallow 8
Black-capped Chickadee 4
Tufted Titmouse 1
White-breasted Nuthatch 2
Marsh Wren 11
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 2
American Robin 12
Gray Catbird 8
Cedar Waxwing 11
Common Yellowthroat 1
Yellow Warbler 8
Song Sparrow 10
Swamp Sparrow 1
Northern Cardinal 3
Baltimore Oriole 5
Red-winged Blackbird 5
Common Grackle 1
blackbird sp. 3
House Finch 2
American Goldfinch 15

Back to top
Date: 8/2/18 2:18 pm
From: 472Matthew Nash <parkranger553...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...>
Date: 8/2/18 1:56 pm
From: 472Matthew Nash <parkranger553...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...>

________________________________
Please reply to Nash, Matthew (DCR) <matthew.nash...>

Date: 8/2/18 8:44 am
From: 'Alan & Ruth Bragg' <alan.ruth.bragg...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] Great Meadows NWR--Concord Unit, Aug 2, 2018
Great Meadows NWR--Concord Unit, Middlesex, Massachusetts, US
Aug 2, 2018 6:00 AM - 9:14 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Comments: Hornet nest on foot bridge.
Weekly survey by NWR volunteers Tom, Audrey, Frank, Joan and Alan
37 species

Canada Goose 16
Wood Duck 5
Mallard 6
Double-crested Cormorant 1
Great Blue Heron 2
Mourning Dove 15
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 2
Downy Woodpecker 5
Eastern Wood-Pewee 3
Willow Flycatcher 3
Eastern Phoebe 1
Eastern Kingbird 3
Warbling Vireo 3
Blue Jay 4
American Crow 2
Tree Swallow 2
Barn Swallow 3
Black-capped Chickadee 3
Tufted Titmouse 1
White-breasted Nuthatch 2
Marsh Wren 10
American Robin 3
Gray Catbird 5
Cedar Waxwing 2
Common Yellowthroat 2
Yellow Warbler 2
Song Sparrow 23
Swamp Sparrow 7
Northern Cardinal 1
Rose-breasted Grosbeak 2
Indigo Bunting 2
Baltimore Oriole 1
Red-winged Blackbird 5
Common Grackle 2
House Finch 4
American Goldfinch 12

Alan Bragg
Bedford MA

Back to top
Date: 8/1/18 8:26 pm
From: Linda Thompson <lthom781...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] Upper Mystic Lake. 8/1/2018
I spent about 20 minutes around 10:30 this morning. There was a Great Blue
Heron at the upper fore bay flying in and one Double-crested Cormornant. I
was looking for some shorebirds, but didn't see any. There was one bird
flying across the lake but couldn't identify it. The two Swans with their
two young were still together. There was also a Blue Jay flying around by
the pond. The might have been more if I could have stayed longer. But
didn't hear any birds.

I have posted a couple of photos at:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/BwiFyaJkAnigVbc93.
Mystic Lakes 2018 album. I don't think anyone can get into any of my other
albums. I think I would have to go into each individual album and list
shared options. even though they say shared. I had asked Google about it a
while back and they didn't give me any options. .

Linda Thompson
Arlington.

Back to top
Date: 8/1/18 5:21 pm
From: <phawk254...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] 2018 HMANA Hawk Migration Conference, Detroit, MI, October 12-14, 2018
“Soaring Toward the Future: New Challenges in Raptor Migration” is the theme of a conference organized by the Hawk Migration Association of North America (HMANA) to be held October 12-14. in Detroit, Michigan.

Conference highlights include keynote presentations by Kate Davis, founder of the education project Raptors of the Rockies, and Todd Katzner, a pioneering researcher on Golden Eagles. Featured presenters include three more world leaders in their fields: Rob Bierregaard on Osprey migration; Dr. David Bird on American Kestrels; and Bill Clark on field identification and migration.

An impressive lineup of presentations by many of the continent’s best citizen scientists will also be offered. The program explores such topics as raptor population trends; weather patterns and migration in a changing climate; possible shifts in migration routes and timing; raptor telemetry advances; conservation issues; education initiatives; advances in raptor identification; and raptor photography. There will also be a special presentation on unusual raptor plumages, including hybrids such as Red-tailed–Red-shouldered.

The conference also offers opportunities to visit two of North America’s leading hawk watch sites, Holiday Beach Migration Observatory in Canada (take your passport!), and Detroit River Hawk Watch at Lake Erie Metropark in the middle of migration, as well as other sites of birding and special interest.

This promises to be a truly exceptional opportunity for anyone interested in hawks. For complete information and to register, visithttp://www.hmana.org Special early bird registration prices are effective through August 31.

We hope to get a good contingent attending from Massachusetts. If you have any questions, please contact me offline.

Best,

Paul

Paul M. Roberts
Medford, MA
<phawk254...>

Back to top
Date: 8/1/18 8:10 am
From: Anna Piccolo <sweetestlight9...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] California’s Birds Are Testing New Survival Tactics on a Vast Scale - The New York Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/30/science/california-birds-climate-change.html

Sent from my iPad

------------------------------------
Posted by: Anna Piccolo <sweetestlight9...>

Date: 7/30/18 6:04 am
From: Anna Piccolo <sweetestlight9...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] The Washington Post: The crane who fell in love with a human

The crane who fell in love with a human
The Washington Post

A rare, white-naped crane (rumored to have killed two potential suitors) had struggled to produce chicks. Then she fell in love with her keeper. Read the full story

Shared from Apple News

Sent from my iPad

Back to top
Date: 7/27/18 2:00 pm
From: Mimi Bix-Hylan <mimibixh...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] seemingly House Wren babies abandoned
Inexplicably the adult House Wrens in my backyard have disappeared
(since at least this morning but possibly last night), yet faint cries
from inside the nest box can be heard.

House Wrens and Carolina Wrens nest on and around my property every
year. The House Wrens are very loud and make their presence known
24/7, so this is very atypical behavior for them.

Has anyone experienced this? If so, what if anything did you do?
Please respond via private message. Thank you.

------------------------------------
Posted by: Mimi Bix-Hylan <mimibixh...>

Date: 7/27/18 5:38 am
From: Anna Piccolo <sweetestlight9...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] 1 Hen, 76 Ducklings: What’s the Deal With This Picture? - The New York Times
Fascinating indeed

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/24/science/merganser-ducklings-photo.html

Sent from my iPad

------------------------------------

Date: 7/26/18 8:36 am
From: 'Alan & Ruth Bragg' <alan.ruth.bragg...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] Great Meadows NWR--Concord Unit, Jul 26, 2018
Great Meadows NWR--Concord Unit, Middlesex, Massachusetts, US
Jul 26, 2018 6:00 AM - 9:43 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Comments: Weekly survey by NWR volunteers Kathy, Will, Joan, Tom and
Alan
37 species (+1 other taxa)

Canada Goose 44
Mute Swan 3 1j
Wood Duck 9
Mallard 5
American Black Duck 1
Great Blue Heron 3
Virginia Rail 1
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 22
Mourning Dove 4
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 2
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 1
Eastern Wood-Pewee 1
Willow Flycatcher 5
Great Crested Flycatcher 1
Eastern Kingbird 4
Warbling Vireo 2
Blue Jay 5
American Crow 1
Tree Swallow 2
Barn Swallow 10
White-breasted Nuthatch 2
Marsh Wren 16
Wood Thrush 4
American Robin 10
Gray Catbird 5
Cedar Waxwing 1
Common Yellowthroat 4
Yellow Warbler 6
Chipping Sparrow 2
Song Sparrow 23
Swamp Sparrow 6
Northern Cardinal 5
Rose-breasted Grosbeak 2 1j
Red-winged Blackbird 68
Common Grackle 6
blackbird sp. 8
American Goldfinch 7

​Alan Bragg

Bedford MA

Back to top
Date: 7/26/18 7:01 am
From: <juliecroston...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] Fly, Buzz, and Honk! Festival postponed to tomorrow 7/27 [2 Attachments]
The kids-and-families festival scheduled for today has been postponed due to the threat of rain. It's now tomorrow 7/27, beginning at 10:00 a.m.

Please come and bring your kids for nature journal making, puppet making, paper beetle making, exploration with a Mass Audubon guide, pollinator relay, and oud music for all ages from 12:00 to 12:45 (suitable for picnicking!).

Want to volunteer? email me at cambridgewildlife puppets At G Mail Dot Com.

Julie

Join us on Facebook!