arlingtonbirds
Received From Subject
4/24/24 5:36 pm 'Emily Szczypek' via Arlington Birds <arlingtonbirds...> Re: [Arlington Birds] Re: Bluebird box donation?
4/24/24 3:25 pm Paul Devaney <pbdevaney37...> [Arlington Birds] Turkey Vultures
4/24/24 3:09 pm Paul Ippolito <paulippolito295...> [Arlington Birds] MBC trip Thursday & this weekend & beyond
4/23/24 12:03 pm Andrew Whitacre <akwhitacre...> [Arlington Birds] Re: Bluebird box donation?
4/22/24 6:46 pm Nina Shepardson <nmallozzi...> Re: [Arlington Birds] Raptors: A Fistful of Daggers on WGBH This Week and Next
4/22/24 11:16 am June Peoples Mallon <junepeoples...> Re: [Arlington Birds] Very Ill Black Vultures in Connecticut
4/22/24 11:11 am D. <dobelbn...> Re: [Arlington Birds] Very Ill Black Vultures in Connecticut
4/22/24 6:14 am Paul Ippolito <paulippolito295...> [Arlington Birds] MBC trip this Evening (Monday) and Upcoming Trips
4/20/24 10:59 am Andrew Whitacre <akwhitacre...> [Arlington Birds] Bluebird box donation?
4/20/24 9:11 am Paul Ippolito <paulippolito295...> [Arlington Birds] Upcoming MBC Trips
4/19/24 8:32 am Mary Rowe <merrowe863...> Re: [Arlington Birds] Very Ill Black Vultures in Connecticut
4/19/24 8:00 am PAUL ROBERTS <phawk254...> [Arlington Birds] Very Ill Black Vultures in Connecticut
4/19/24 5:42 am Renee LaFontaine <dacooper...> [Arlington Birds] Long Pond bird walk postponed to Sunday
4/18/24 11:23 am Toby Sackton <tsackton...> [Arlington Birds]
4/18/24 5:25 am Paul Ippolito <paulippolito295...> [Arlington Birds] MBC walk on Saturday @ 7:30 AM and upcoming trips
4/17/24 6:06 am Debora Diggins <debora.diggins...> [Arlington Birds] RCKI morning
4/16/24 6:49 pm Betty Widerski <bwiderski.resist...> [Arlington Birds] Eastern Towhee in E. Arlington
4/16/24 6:36 pm Diana F. <diana.fru...> [Arlington Birds] Brookline Bird Club Annual Meeting, Friday, 4/19/24: All welcom!
4/16/24 10:29 am Soheil Zendeh <sohzendeh...> [Arlington Birds] Fwd: eBird Report - Bear Creek Sanctuary (restricted access), Apr 14, 2024
4/16/24 8:21 am CassDq <cassdq...> Re: [Arlington Birds] Raptors: A Fistful of Daggers on WGBH This Week and Next
4/16/24 8:17 am Cassandra DeQuevedo <cassdq...> Re: [Arlington Birds] Raptors: A Fistful of Daggers on WGBH This Week and Next
4/16/24 7:09 am Eric Smith <esmithphoto...> Re: [Arlington Birds] Raptors: A Fistful of Daggers on WGBH This Week and Next
4/15/24 5:24 am John Edmondson <johnhedmondson...> Re: [Arlington Birds] Upcoming MBC Trips
4/15/24 4:41 am Paul Ippolito <paulippolito295...> [Arlington Birds] Upcoming MBC Trips
4/14/24 6:52 am John Edmondson <johnhedmondson...> [Arlington Birds] Arlington Reservoir walk today
4/12/24 3:03 pm Diana F. <diana.fru...> [Arlington Birds] Shorebird Conservation Panel at April 18 Meeting
4/12/24 11:14 am PAUL ROBERTS <phawk254...> [Arlington Birds] Raptors: A Fistful of Daggers on WGBH This Week and Next
4/12/24 11:08 am Daniel Marks <danny.marks52...> [Arlington Birds] Re: Free Black Oil Sunflower Seeds (in-shell)
4/12/24 7:09 am Daniel Marks <danny.marks52...> [Arlington Birds] Free Black Oil Sunflower Seeds (in-shell)
4/12/24 2:52 am Diana F. <diana.fru...> [Arlington Birds] Today's MBC/BBCHorn pond walk postponed till tomorrow
4/11/24 4:21 pm Paul Ippolito <paulippolito295...> [Arlington Birds] MBC Trips this Friday, Saturday & Sunday
4/9/24 4:19 am Paul Ippolito <paulippolito295...> [Arlington Birds] MBC Trip Wednesday & this weekend
4/7/24 7:21 pm Diana F. <diana.fru...> [Arlington Birds] Mass Audubon Birders Meeting
4/6/24 5:50 pm Toshia McCabe <toshia.fcolors...> [Arlington Birds] Re: Free bird feeders
4/6/24 5:48 pm Toshia McCabe <toshia.fcolors...> [Arlington Birds] Free bird feeders
4/5/24 1:14 pm Diana F. <diana.fru...> [Arlington Birds] Recording of Fundamentals of Pollinator Gardening
4/4/24 2:53 pm PAUL ROBERTS <phawk254...> [Arlington Birds] Small Packages: A Male Sharp-shinned Hawk
4/4/24 7:19 am Diana F. <diana.fru...> Re: [Arlington Birds] Upcoming MBC trips this week and next
4/4/24 5:21 am Paul Ippolito <paulippolito295...> [Arlington Birds] Upcoming MBC trips this week and next
4/3/24 4:51 am Diana F. <diana.fru...> [Arlington Birds] Rescue Plymouth Wildlife event 4/10
4/2/24 8:30 am Diana F. <diana.fru...> [Arlington Birds] Brookline Bird Club Annual Hybrid Meeting, 4/19/2024
4/1/24 11:55 am Diana F. <diana.fru...> [Arlington Birds] Swarovski bins for sale and my bird walks
3/30/24 6:54 pm Toshia McCabe <toshia.fcolors...> [Arlington Birds] Young woman who stopped by...
3/29/24 9:25 am Paul Ippolito <paulippolito295...> [Arlington Birds] Upcoming MBC Trips
3/28/24 9:03 am Diana F. <diana.fru...> [Arlington Birds] Special Edition: Programs, Programs, Programs
3/26/24 4:08 am Paul Ippolito <paulippolito295...> [Arlington Birds] MBC Woodcock Walk tonight Tuesday March 26

Back to top
Date: 4/24/24 5:36 pm
From: 'Emily Szczypek' via Arlington Birds <arlingtonbirds...>
Subject: Re: [Arlington Birds] Re: Bluebird box donation?
What a nice story and happy ending, thanks for sharing:)
Emily S.

On Tuesday, April 23, 2024 at 03:03:10 PM EDT, Andrew Whitacre <akwhitacre...> wrote:

Thanks to everyone who replied about the bluebird box! Happy to say it found a home at Drumlin, and hopefully I can take my buddy there to see it in action once it's installed.
Andrew

On Sat, Apr 20, 2024 at 1:59 PM Andrew Whitacre <akwhitacre...> wrote:

A young neighbor recently gifted me a bluebird box he built from a kit at school. He's very proud of it, so since our neighborhood isn't bluebird habitat, I was wondering if someone on the list might have a connection to a publicly accessible location that would be happy to mount a new box or replace an old one. I'd love to be able to take my neighbor there and say "James, there's your box!"
Andrew

--
Group home page:
https://mrines.com/Birds/Arlington/

Date: 4/24/24 3:25 pm
From: Paul Devaney <pbdevaney37...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] Turkey Vultures
A small kettle of 8 TVs above Ginger Bread Construction Company Winchester
at 4:20 this afternoon.

Paul Devaney
Winchester

Date: 4/24/24 3:09 pm
From: Paul Ippolito <paulippolito295...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] MBC trip Thursday & this weekend & beyond
Fellow MBC members,

The Menotomy Bird Club has a trip coming up tomorrow, Thursday at
Wright-Locke Farm as well as a trips into this weekend and beyond.

In order to help you plan, we have included advance notice of our trips
into early May including our last meeting of the year on Tuesday night,
April 30th. Do however continue to look at the weekly e-mails as we
continually add trips based upon what is being seen, weather and
availability of our leaders.

Early spring is providing some interesting observations being posted
throughout Massachusetts so keep exploring your local patches, *report what
you are seeing* and enjoy all that our area has to offer.

*Thursday, April 25*

*Wright-Locke Farm, Winchester*

*Lisa Craig 8:00 AM – 10:00 AM*

Join us as we explore parts of this 20 acre community farm that includes
historic farm buildings, growing fields; pasture lands to the north of the
farmstead and wooded areas to the west abutting the Whipple Hill and Locke
Conservation Areas. Let’s see what gems are hidden away in this new area.
Meeting Place: Park and meet at Mullen field located at 54 Ridge St.
Winchester. This lot is across the street from the Farm; the Farm is
located at 82 Ridge St, Winchester. 8:00 - 10:00 AM Lisa Craig
<lisa.t.craig...>

*Saturday, April 27*

*Great Meadows NWR - Concord *

*Debora Diggins 8:00 AM – 10:00 AM*

There's always a good variety of water and land birds at Great Meadows in
Concord, and sometimes some real surprises. We will walk out the central
dike to the river looking for marsh birds and migrants while always hoping
for an elusive Least Bittern. Meet in the parking lot off Monsen Road (off
Route 62) in Concord. There is a fee for parking but it is free with a
current duck stamp or Federal parks pass. 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM. Debora
Diggins <debora.diggins...>

*Monday, April 29*

*Sandy (Shannon) Beach - Arlington*

*John Edmondson & Cassandra DeQuevedo 7:00 AM - 9:30 AM*

Join us as we look for early spring migrants like palm, pine, and
yellow-rumped warblers with hopes of surprise new arrivals like orioles,
blue-grey gnat catchers, northern rough-wings, and other warblers. This is
a small area, but it has a good mix of deciduous, pine, marsh, and lake
habits that attract a variety of birds including warblers, water birds and
more. Join us to see what we encounter. Meet in the parking lot for Shannon
Beach off of Mystic Valley Parkway. We’ll gather on the north side of the
lot (right side away from beach) and begin with working our way along the
bushes close to the road and then back towards the pines. 7:00 AM – 9:30 AM

John Edmondson <johnhedmondson...> & Cassandra DeQuevedo
<Cassandradq...>

*Tuesday April 30*

*6:30 PM Social Time, 7:00 Meeting Start *

*How to Find Owls in the Wild *

*Cynthia Rand – Jenks Center, Winchester*

The Menotomy Bird Club will be hosting a meeting on Tuesday, April 30th @
7:00 PM at the Jenks Center, 109 Skillings Road in Winchester as Cynthia
Rand will share her tips and techniques for finding the Owls she captures
in photographs. It is her desire that as a result of applying these tips
and techniques, you will feel inspired and have greater success in your own
search. As Cynthia always says, “There is nothing more rewarding than
finding new Owls in the wild!”

Cynthia Rand is a wildlife photographer and workshop leader who resides in
Jefferson Massachusetts. Currently, she serves as president of the New
England Camera Club, and is their NECCC representative. Cynthia is also a
member of the Massachusetts Camera Naturalists, an invitation only New
England based photography group.

Any chance she gets, Cynthia is out in nature searching for Owls. And in
the spring she can be found hiking through all types of terrain to find
them nesting and raising their young. Over the last couple of years she was
able to find over 50 new Screech Owls on her own.

Doors open at 6:30 for set up and social time and the meeting starts
promptly at 7:00 PM.

*Wednesday, May 1*

*Charles River Walk, Waltham*

*Emily Szczypek 8:00 AM – 10:30 AM*

Join as we search for a spring migration walk along the Charles River in
Waltham as we look for migrating warblers while we admire Wood Ducks,
Rough-winged Swallows and Great Blue Herons along the way. Meet at Shaw's
parking lot, River St. Waltham, at the entrance to the walkway. This walk
is along a paved walkway going to the Moody Street Dam or if time permits a
5 mile round trip to Prospect St. in Waltham. 8:00 AM – 10:30 AM Emily
Szczypek <plover08...>

*Thursday, May 2*

*Mount Auburn Cemetery*

*John Edmondson 6:00 AM – 8:00 AM*

Mount Auburn Cemetery in Cambridge and Watertown is one of the best local
spots to experience spring migration & this is the time of year to search
for migrating warblers. Meet at the kiosk by the main entrance gate.
Co-sponsored
with the Brookline Bird Club 6:00 - 8:00 AM. John Edmondson
<johnhedmondson...>

*Friday, May 3*

*Horn Pond, Woburn*

*Diana Fruguglietti & Cassandra DeQuevedo 7:30 AM - 10:00 AM*

Join us as we explore the varied habitat of the Horn Pond Conservation
area. With migration upon us, we will be searching for migrating warblers
and resident birds such as Orchard Orioles, Swallows, Eastern Phoebes,
Warbling Vireos, and Yellow Warblers. This trip will focus on the less
traveled George Olsen Trail, which increases possibilities for Scarlet
Tanager, Pileated Woodpecker, Field Sparrow and Prairie Warblers. Parts of
the walk have uneven terrain; muddy areas are possible. Meet at the Sturgis
Street entrance 7:30 AM – 10:00 AM Diana Fruguglietti <diana.fru...> &
Cassandra DeQuevedo <Cassandradq...>

*Saturday, May 4*

*Horn Pond, Woburn*

*Pranjal Mather 9:00 AM – Noon*

Join us as we explore the varied habitat of the Horn Pond Conservation
area. With migration upon us, we will be searching for migrating warblers
and resident birds such as Orchard Orioles, Swallows, Eastern Phoebes,
Warbling Vireos, and Yellow Warblers. Parts of the walk have uneven
terrain; muddy areas are possible. Meet at the Sturgis Street entrance 9:00
AM - Noon Pranjal Mathur <mathurpranjal...>

*Sunday, May 5*

*Foss Farm, Carlisle*

*Alan Ankers 7:00 AM – 10:00 AM*

We’ll look for early migrants such as sparrows, swallows, raptors and the
first of the warblers in

the community gardens and farm fields, including the old piggery that is
now part of Great

Meadows National Wildlife Refuge. Co-sponsored by the Carlisle Conservation
Foundation.

Meet at Foss Farm parking lot, just west of the bridge over the Concord
River on route 225.

7:00-10:00 AM Alan Ankers <alankers...>

*Sunday May 5*

*Brooks Estate, Medford*

*Audrey Stanwood & Renee LaFontaine 7:30 AM – 9:00 AM*

Join us as we explore the Brooks Estate, a hidden urban oasis, for early
spring migrants. The first week of May can be full of early avian "scouts"
who seem to arrive before the larger groups of migrants. Co-sponsored by
Medford-Brooks Estate Land Trust. Meeting location: 255-277 Grove Street
(Brooks Estate Path on Google Maps), meet at the metal green gate. Parking
is limited, so please park on nearby side streets or refer to
www.brooksestate.org for parking suggestions. Please do not park in
adjacent Oak Grove Cemetery. 7:30-9:00 AM Audrey Stanwood
<audreyst...> and Renee LaFontaine <dacooper...>

If you are interested in leading a trip, please reach out to Alan Ankers,
Renee LaFontaine or myself, the club would be so lucky to have you lead.

Please continue to post your observations.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Paul Ippolito
Woburn

Date: 4/23/24 12:03 pm
From: Andrew Whitacre <akwhitacre...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] Re: Bluebird box donation?

Date: 4/22/24 6:46 pm
From: Nina Shepardson <nmallozzi...>
Subject: Re: [Arlington Birds] Raptors: A Fistful of Daggers on WGBH This Week and Next
My husband and I watched the first episode tonight, and we were both really
impressed. The footage of the Amur falcons on migration was spectacular and
there was an incredible shot of a hunting goshawk squeezing through a
narrow gap between branches while in flight.

Nina

Date: 4/22/24 11:16 am
From: June Peoples Mallon <junepeoples...>
Subject: Re: [Arlington Birds] Very Ill Black Vultures in Connecticut
It's a song.
Mountain Dew https://g.co/kgs/sogwYAS

" And the buzzards in the sky get so drunk they can't fly ..."

June Peoples Mallon
Marlborough, MA

617 990 4003
she/hers

Date: 4/22/24 11:11 am
From: D. <dobelbn...>

Date: 4/22/24 6:14 am
From: Paul Ippolito <paulippolito295...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] MBC trip this Evening (Monday) and Upcoming Trips
Fellow MBC members,

The Menotomy Bird Club has a trip coming up this evening, Monday night to
look for roosting Rusty Blackbirds, a Thursday trip at Wright-Locke Farm,
trips into this weekend and beyond.

In order to help you plan, we have included advance notice of our trips
into early May including our last meeting of the year on Tuesday night,
April 30th. Do however continue to look at the weekly e-mails as we
continually add trips based upon what is being seen, weather and
availability of our leaders.

Early spring is providing some interesting observations being posted
throughout Massachusetts so keep exploring your local patches, *report what
you are seeing* and enjoy all that our area has to offer.

*Monday, April 22*

*Lynnfield March*

*Gino Ellison 6:00 PM*

Join us as we look to witness Rusty Blackbirds staging to roost in
Lynnfield Marsh during this early evening walk. Along the way listen for
the calls of Marsh Wren and Virginia Rails or look above for swallows over
the marsh. The walk can be uneven and muddy or perhaps a bit windy, so
dress accordingly. Park on Heritage Lane, just off Main Street in
Lynnfield, just off of Main Street - take exit # 59 off Route 128 and head
1 mile to Heritage Lane. 6:00 PM Gino Ellison <TBM2126...>

Date: 4/20/24 9:11 am
From: Paul Ippolito <paulippolito295...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] Upcoming MBC Trips
Fellow MBC members,

The Menotomy Bird Club has a trip coming up this weekend as our Long Pond
in Winchester has been re-scheduled to Sunday (Please note the start time
for this trip 7:30 AM) as well as an evening walk on Monday night to look
for roosting Rusty Blackbirds and a Thursday trip at Wright-Locke Farm.

In order to help you plan, we have included advance notice of our trips
into early May including our last meeting of the year on Tuesday night,
April 30th. Do however continue to look at the weekly e-mails as we
continually add trips based upon what is being seen, weather and
availability of our leaders. In fact we are finalizing some details to add
a May 1 trip along the Charles River in Waltham and a May 4 trip to Horn
Pond – details to come soon.

Early spring is providing some interesting observations being posted
throughout Massachusetts so keep exploring your local patches, *report what
you are seeing* and enjoy all that our area has to offer.

*Sunday, April 21*

*Long Pond, Winchester*

*Renee LaFontaine 7:30 AM – 9:00 AM*

The area around this shallow pond in the Middlesex Fells attracts a number
of early migrants, such as Pine, Palm, and Yellow-rumped Warblers - often
seen down low, feeding on the insects near the pond. Meeting place:
Entrance gate on Hillcrest Pkwy (immediately on your right when you enter
Hillcrest Pkwy from Highland Avenue in Winchester). Park on the opposite
side of the street from a house at 98 Hillcrest Pkwy, but not between the
two signs at the entrance gate. 7:30 - 9:00 AM Renee LaFontaine
<dacooper...>

Date: 4/19/24 8:32 am
From: Mary Rowe <merrowe863...>

Date: 4/19/24 5:42 am
From: Renee LaFontaine <dacooper...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] Long Pond bird walk postponed to Sunday
All the weather forecasts say that it will be raining tonight and into tomorrow (Saturday) morning, so the Winchester Long Pond walk will take place on this Sunday instead. Same time and place. 7:30 - 9:00 am, Hillcrest Parkway, Winchester.

Renee

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Renee LaFontaine
<dacooper...>

Date: 4/18/24 11:23 am
From: Toby Sackton <tsackton...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds]
--
Toby Sackton

Date: 4/18/24 5:25 am
From: Paul Ippolito <paulippolito295...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] MBC walk on Saturday @ 7:30 AM and upcoming trips
Fellow MBC members,

The Menotomy Bird Club has a trip coming up this weekend on Saturday at
Long Pond in Winchester (Please note the start time for this trip on
Saturday is 7:30 AM) as well as an evening walk on Monday night to look for
roosting Rusty Blackbirds.

In order to help you plan, we have included advance notice of our trips
into early May including our last meeting of the year on Tuesday night,
April 30th. Do however continue to look at the weekly e-mails as we
continually add trips based upon what is being seen, weather and
availability of our leaders.

Early spring is providing some interesting observations being posted
throughout Massachusetts so keep exploring your local patches, *report what
you are seeing* and enjoy all that our area has to offer.

*Saturday, April 20*

*Long Pond, Winchester*

[...]

*Mount Auburn Cemetary*

Date: 4/17/24 6:06 am
From: Debora Diggins <debora.diggins...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] RCKI morning
It’s a ruby-crowned kinglet morning in my Morningside yard! We’ve got at least three singing. Must’ve been a big push of migration last night for them. Also a new yard bird: pine warbler. We have so many white throated sparrows singing. I will miss them when they finally head north.
Debora

Date: 4/16/24 6:49 pm
From: Betty Widerski <bwiderski.resist...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] Eastern Towhee in E. Arlington
About 5:45pm kicking through leaves in my backyard near Thompson school. Poor photos though window:

--
Group home page:
https://mrines.com/Birds/Arlington/

BettyWiderski.com
WhatBettyKnows.com

Date: 4/16/24 6:36 pm
From: Diana F. <diana.fru...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] Brookline Bird Club Annual Meeting, Friday, 4/19/24: All welcom!
Fyi

Date: 4/16/24 10:29 am
From: Soheil Zendeh <sohzendeh...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] Fwd: eBird Report - Bear Creek Sanctuary (restricted access), Apr 14, 2024
Folks,

Our friend Matt Clark is at it again. Check out his latest Bear Creek
video. Hang in there for the kestrel show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlSJDrh-JjM

Bear Creek walks continue through April -- every Sunday at 9. The May
schedule has not been decided yet, but once the breeding birds (Savannah
Sparrows, Bobolinks, etc) are on territory in mid-May, we will discontinue
the walk and not resume until late summer.

Below is the ebird checklist, courtesy of Brendan Burke, from the walk last
Sunday, 4/14:

Bear Creek Sanctuary (restricted access), Essex, Massachusetts, US
Apr 14, 2024 9:19 AM - 12:19 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.75 mile(s)
50 bird species

Canada Goose 2
Blue-winged Teal 4
Mallard 4
American Black Duck 20
Common Eider 1
Surf Scoter 2
Bufflehead 8
Common Goldeneye 1
Red-breasted Merganser 12
Wild Turkey 2
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 25
Mourning Dove 5
Killdeer 2
Ring-billed Gull 2
Herring Gull 50
Great Black-backed Gull 2
Red-throated Loon 1
Common Loon 3
Double-crested Cormorant 10
Great Egret 5
Great Blue Heron 1
Turkey Vulture 4
Osprey 7
Northern Harrier 2
Cooper's Hawk 1
Bald Eagle 2
Red-tailed Hawk 3
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted) 4
American Kestrel 5
Peregrine Falcon 1
Blue Jay 2
American Crow 2
Common Raven 2
Tree Swallow 10
Carolina Wren 1
European Starling 20
Northern Mockingbird 1
American Robin 10
House Sparrow 3
House Finch 2
American Goldfinch 6
Chipping Sparrow 3
White-throated Sparrow 3
Savannah Sparrow 15
Song Sparrow 10
Red-winged Blackbird 20
Brown-headed Cowbird 1
Rusty Blackbird 1
Common Grackle 4
Northern Cardinal 4

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S168918191

*Soheil ZendehLexington, MA 02421*

Date: 4/16/24 8:21 am
From: CassDq <cassdq...>

Back to top
Date: 4/16/24 8:17 am
From: Cassandra DeQuevedo <cassdq...>

Date: 4/16/24 7:09 am
From: Eric Smith <esmithphoto...>

Date: 4/15/24 5:24 am
From: John Edmondson <johnhedmondson...>
Subject: Re: [Arlington Birds] Upcoming MBC Trips
Hi all,

I just want to note the May 2 Mt Auburn Cemetery trip I am leading is
co-sponsored by the Brookline Bird Club and they have trips at Mt Auburn
essentially every day from now until the end of May. See
https://www.brooklinebirdclub.org/tripsevents/month/ Like Menotomy Bird
Club trips, Brookline Bird Club trips are free and open to all. (Except the
Pelagic boat trips, which are not free, but are open to all.)

John

Date: 4/14/24 6:52 am
From: John Edmondson <johnhedmondson...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] Arlington Reservoir walk today
Hi,

I led a bird walk at Arlington reservoir this morning. It was co-sponsored
by the Brookline Bird Club and the Menotomy Bird Club. Some of the
highlights were the Ruddy Ducks who were sleeping and not showing their
bills but the males are becoming very pretty. Also Green-Winged Teal, Palm
Warblers, a Yellow-Rumped Warbler (or were there 2? I only noted one),
Eastern Phoebe, and Ruby-Crowned Kinglet which we located after hearing it
and had some pretty good looks. A Red-Tailed Hawk caught something,
probably a squirrel and went back in the woods to eat. There were three
circling hawks, possibly migrating that I couldn't ID. In retrospect, I'm
guessing juvenile Red-Tails but I couldn't make a solid ID.

John

PS you can add the list to your ebird using this link:
https://ebird.org/mychecklists?subID=UzE2ODU0Njg4Mg==&s=t

Arlington Reservoir, Middlesex, Massachusetts, US
Apr 14, 2024 7:02 AM - 8:57 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.17 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: Menotomy and BBC bird walk. 20 people at the outset.
34 species (+1 other taxa)

Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) 5
American Black Duck (Anas rubripes) 2
Green-winged Teal (Anas crecca) 5
Bufflehead (Bucephala albeola) 3
Ruddy Duck (Oxyura jamaicensis) 18
Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura) 4
Killdeer (Charadrius vociferus) 4
Herring Gull (Larus argentatus) 1
Great Black-backed Gull (Larus marinus) 1
Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias) 1
Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis) 1 caught food. Probably a squirrel.
hawk sp. (Accipitridae sp. (hawk sp.)) 3 just wasn't sure. My first
impression was osprey. 3 bird cirling in the sun direction. I couldn't see
any red on the tails. Fair mount of patterning on the under wing. Maybe
dark shoulders, but I just wasn't confident of ID.
Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus) 1
Downy Woodpecker (Dryobates pubescens) 3
Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus) 2
Eastern Phoebe (Sayornis phoebe) 1
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata) 6
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos) 2
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus) 4
Tufted Titmouse (Baeolophus bicolor) 2
Tree Swallow (Tachycineta bicolor) 6
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Corthylio calendula) 1
White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis) 2
European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris) 3
American Robin (Turdus migratorius) 13
House Sparrow (Passer domesticus) 4
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis) 11
Chipping Sparrow (Spizella passerina) 1
White-throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis) 2
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia) 7
Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus) 10
Common Grackle (Quiscalus quiscula) 7
Palm Warbler (Setophaga palmarum) 2
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Setophaga coronata) 1
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis) 2

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S168546882

Date: 4/12/24 3:03 pm
From: Diana F. <diana.fru...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] Shorebird Conservation Panel at April 18 Meeting
Fyi, please see below

Date: 4/12/24 11:08 am
From: Daniel Marks <danny.marks52...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] Re: Free Black Oil Sunflower Seeds (in-shell)
Update: the seeds are pending pickup. Thanks to those who reached out!

Daniel Marks
Arlington

Date: 4/12/24 2:52 am
From: Diana F. <diana.fru...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] Today's MBC/BBCHorn pond walk postponed till tomorrow
Due to the rain I'm postponing today's trip to tomorrow. There is a slight
chance of rain starting at 11 tomorrow so hopefully we can get this walk
in.

We will meet at the Lake Ave parking lot at 8 am and go up the mountain so
sturdy footwear is advised.

Thanks
Diana Fruguglietti
Woburn

Date: 4/11/24 4:21 pm
From: Paul Ippolito <paulippolito295...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] MBC Trips this Friday, Saturday & Sunday
Fellow MBC members,

The Menotomy Bird Club has a selection of trip to choose from over the
weekend including one tomorrow, Friday, April 12th, as well as a trip on
Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning.

In order to help you plan, we have included advance notice of our last
meeting of the year on Tuesday night, April 30th. Do however continue to
look at the weekly e-mails as we continually add trips based upon what is
being seen, weather and availability of our leaders.

Early spring is providing some interesting observations being posted
throughout Massachusetts so keep exploring your local patches, *report what
you are seeing* and enjoy all that our area has to offer.

*Friday, April 12*

*Horn Pond, Woburn*

*Diana Fruguglietti 8:00 AM – 10:00 AM*

Let's look for early spring migrants such as Eastern Phoebe, Ruby-crowned
Kinglet, Field Sparrow and early warblers such as Palm, Pine and
Yellow-rumped. Please note, we will meet at the Lake Avenue parking lot
8:00 AM - 10:00 AM Diana Fruguglietti <diana.fru...>

*Saturday, April 13*

*Middlesex Fells, Medford*

*Sage Levy 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM*

Winter hasn't given up without a fight, but the bird life in the Fells is
still looking towards spring! Join Sage Levy on Saturday April 13 for an
afternoon walk at Winford Way, searching for late-lingering boreal breeders
at the swamp (fox sparrow & rusty blackbird), breeding activity from the
local red-shouldered hawk pair, and hopefully early arrivals such as
gnatcatcher or Louisiana Waterthrush. The group will meet at 2PM at the
Winford Way entrance at the intersection of Winford+Town Ways in Medford,
and plan to walk until 3:30 (remaining near enough to the parking lot that
folks can split off earlier if needed). Expect to pack footwear you don't
mind getting wet! <Jonah.Levy...>

*Sunday, April 14*

*Arlington Reservoir*

*John Edmondson 7:00 – 10:00 AM *We'll circle the reservoir clockwise
(i.e., if facing the reservoir, go left) looking for water birds and shore
birds as well as some of our early spring migrants, then enter the
adjoining farm for a while (hoping for some added variety) before
completing the loop around the reservoir. This is a fairly short walk on
easy paths. If you arrive late, you can find us by heading around until you
catch up (we should be obvious). Easy to leave early too if you like. Meet
in the parking lot off Lowell Street in Arlington, directly across the
street from Westmoreland Avenue. 7:00 AM - 10:00 AM. John Edmondson
<johnhedmondson...>

Date: 4/9/24 4:19 am
From: Paul Ippolito <paulippolito295...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] MBC Trip Wednesday & this weekend
Fellow MBC members,

The Menotomy Bird Club has a selection of trip to choose from over the next
several days including one tomorrow, Wednesday, April 10th.

In order to help you plan, we have included advance notice of our last
meeting of the year on Tuesday night, April 30th. Do however continue to
look at the weekly e-mails as we continually add trips based upon what is
being seen, weather and availability of our leaders.

Early spring is providing some interesting observations being posted
throughout Massachusetts so keep exploring your local patches, *report what
you are seeing* and enjoy all that our area has to offer.

*Wednesday April 10*

*Brooks Estate, Medford*

*Diana Fruguglietti 8:00 AM – 10:00 AM*

Join us as we search for early spring migrants - particularly Pine, Palm,
and Yellow-rumped Warblers, but there may also be phoebes, several
sparrows, kinglets and thrushes. Or let's find a surprise. Meet at the
entrance at 266 Grove St. 8:00 – 10:00 AM Diana Fruguglietti
<diana.fru...>

Date: 4/7/24 7:21 pm
From: Diana F. <diana.fru...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] Mass Audubon Birders Meeting
On Sunday, April 21, Mass Audubon will host its 31st Annual Birders Meeting
from 8:00am to 4:30pm at the Hogan Campus Center at the College of the Holy
Cross in Worcester.

This year’s theme – *The Conservation of Migration* – will focus on
migratory birds that travel short and long distances between their breeding
and wintering areas, while also stopping in between. These journeys do not
come without risks. North American migratory birds have been declining for
decades and are in dire need of conservation. The 2024 Birders Meeting
will explore the wonders of bird migration, conservation risks,
conservation needs, and the history of how we understand migration.

An impressive lineup of speakers will include John Rappole of the
Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute, Daniel Klem of Muhlenberg
University, Freda Guo of Princeton University, and author Rebecca Heisman.
We are happy to announce the participation of Mass Audubon’s Museum of
American Bird Art as well.

Registration is now live and can be found at:

https://www.massaudubon.org/programs/conservation-science/92377-birders-meeting-2024-staff-student

I hope you will share this notice with your membership.

Wayne

*Wayne R. Petersen *(he/him)

Director of Massachusetts Important Bird Area (IBA) Program

*Mass Audubon*

208 South Great Road, Lincoln, MA 01773

<wpetersen...> | (781) 259-2178 or (781) 206-5716 (cell)

massaudubon.org <http://www.massaudubon.org>

Date: 4/6/24 5:50 pm
From: Toshia McCabe <toshia.fcolors...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] Re: Free bird feeders
Apologies for the typo. The Amazon link for the Erva bluebird feeder is
here: https://a.co/d/bFcIhYF

-Toshia

Date: 4/5/24 1:14 pm
From: Diana F. <diana.fru...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] Recording of Fundamentals of Pollinator Gardening
If you have any interest in the reasons why to convert part of your yard to
a pollinator garden, please watch this very educational video.

Diana Fruguglietti
Woburn

Here is the recording of the Fundamentals of Pollinator Gardening webinar
with Dr. Nick Dorian. When you click the link to the website, the video
link is on the right:
https://www.wnwildnative.org/
I hope you all enjoy and are able to get out into your gardens when this
weather clears up!
Many thanks to West Newbury Wild and Native for putting together this
program.

Date: 4/4/24 2:53 pm
From: PAUL ROBERTS <phawk254...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] Small Packages: A Male Sharp-shinned Hawk
Two days ago I was out birding at dawn. It was heavily overcast, so the
light was terrible and I saw little. As I was walking to my car, I saw
a relatively small bird in the top of a deciduous tree near my car. It
piqued my curiosity because it looked a bit odd. Something about it
reminded me of Merlin, but it was smaller than a Merlin. I at first
thought it might be a Blue Jay, or even smaller than a jay. It had a
small round head, somewhat like a Merlin, and when seen better was
clearly not a jay. It was so dark that I used my megazoom camera at
about 100x to get a better view, looking at it at 6400 ISO and opening
the aperture a full two stops to get more light. It was an accipiter.
Large white blotches on its upper wings, and a moderately long (bot
not very long), straight-edged tail, with no terminal white band.
Clearly, it had to be a sharpie, but it had to be one of the smallest
sharpies I've ever seen perched. I got poor views of the back of the
bird in awful light before I gambled the bird wouldn't fly and walked
around the tree to image the breast and belly (and actually got the
face as well). Very finely streaked, more like a juvenile male
Cooper's Hawk than a sharpie, but streaked on the breast and belly,
much more like a sharpie than a Cooper's (some of which are streaked
on the belly). I was amazed that I was able to get "decent" photos of
the bird to document it. The photos were actually better than what I
saw through my electronic view finder. This bird was special. About
20 years ago while hawk watching at Lighthouse Point in New Haven,
Connecticut, to look for more Cooper's Hawks, I saw many very small
Sharp-shinned Hawks. More tiny sharp shins on a very windy day than I
had ever seen in Massachusetts in an entire season hawk watching at
Wachusett or Watatic, or Plum in spring. They were getting badly
bounced around, so it was easy to pick them out from the female
sharpies. They had to watch out because female Cooper's can literally
eat male sharpies for lunch (hold the mayo). The male Sharp-shinned
Hawk is our smallest diurnal raptor. (Male kestrels can be 8 inches
long, with the smallest male sharpies coming in at 9 inches. Wingspan
for male sharpshins and kestrels is 20-22 inches, with the
differentiator being body mass. The smallest sharpshin reported at 3.0
ounces while the smallest male kestrel was 3.4 ounces.) It dawned on
me after a while that I was seeing so many diminutive males at
Lighthouse not because male sharpies were reluctant to fly north of
the Mass Pike but because they were reluctant to get blown about
flying over the summit of Wachusett and to increase their
vulnerability to larger female Cooper's and originally perhaps
goshawks. Instead, like many kestrels, they fly around the shoulders
of the mountain, just above the canopy, which gives them close cover
from potential predators and a chance to catch themselves a meal while
migrating. Often you will see a flock of migrating Blue Jays suddenly
dive into the canopy because one thinks it has seen a hungry Cooper's
coming in. Male sharpies often react similarly. The spring sharpie
flight at Plum is very uneven, but we've seen a few clear small males
migrating north in good years. Again, I expect it's a reluctance to
venture out to coastal land traps, especially in strong winds, where
they might just as likely be a meal as find one. Hug the canopy a few
miles inland. Play it safe, and maybe find a meal yourself instead of
becoming someone else's meal. I've seen photos of sharpies that are
clear males near bird feeders but never near mine, which is patrolled
by Cooper's Hawks. Sharpshins, especially males, are very shy hunters
and do not like to be watched, including by humans. Male sharpshins
are very aware of their vulnerability and therefore much more
secretive. It seemed appropriate that I saw this one on a dark cloudy,
morning when nothing much else was around. Best, Paul Paul M. Roberts
Medford, MA
<phawk254...>

--
Group home page:
https://mrines.com/Birds/Arlington/
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/arlingtonbirds/<461943186.1695428.1712267581607...>

Back to top
Date: 4/4/24 7:19 am
From: Diana F. <diana.fru...>
Subject: Re: [Arlington Birds] Upcoming MBC trips this week and next
Since i had planned to go up the mountain and the trails will not be safe
by tomorrow, I am postponing my trip scheduled for tomorrow at Horn Pond to
next Friday April 12th 8 am meeting at the Lake Ave parking lot.

Thanks
Diana Fruguglietti

Date: 4/3/24 4:51 am
From: Diana F. <diana.fru...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] Rescue Plymouth Wildlife event 4/10
Fyi zoom option discussing the rodenticide issue

Date: 4/2/24 8:30 am
From: Diana F. <diana.fru...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] Brookline Bird Club Annual Hybrid Meeting, 4/19/2024
Fyi

Join us for our HYBRID ANNUAL MEETING With author and researcher Deborah
Cramer: Exciting Connections between the Lives of Migrating Shorebirds,
Horseshoe Crabs, and Us

Friday, April 19, 2024, 7–9 PM, 6:30 Social Hour
Harvard University Geologic Hall, 24 Oxford Street, Cambridge, with FREE
PARKING at the 52 Oxford Street Parking Garage.
See www.brooklinebirdclub.org for the zoom registration.
We will be presenting, for Members voting, the slate of BBC Officers and
Directors, additional business items, and club updates.

Listen, as author and observer Deborah Cramer traveled from the tip of
South America up into the Arctic, accompanying a shorebird – the Red Knot –
along one of earth’s longest avian migrations. Along the way, she witnessed
the birds’ extraordinary relationship with the horseshoe crab, an ancient
animal that comes ashore once a year to lay its eggs in the sand.
Join Deborah to explore how our health and the health of shorebirds and
horseshoe crabs are intertwined, and the increasing importance of
Massachusetts in this story.

Deborah is the author of *T**he Narrow Edge: A Tiny Bird, An Ancient Crab,
and An Epic Journey*, which received the Best Book Award from the U.S.

See you there!

Leslie Kramer

BBC President

Date: 4/1/24 11:55 am
From: Diana F. <diana.fru...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] Swarovski bins for sale and my bird walks
I will be leading 3 co-sponsored walks for Menotomy and the BBC over the
next 2 weeks and I still have my Swarovski 10x32 Binoculars for sale - only
lightly used for a short time. I can bring these to the walks for you to
try out after the walk.

The walks are:
Tuesday Apr 2nd (tomorrow) at Sturgis St. Horn Pond, Woburn 8 AM
Friday Apr 5 at Lake Ave. parking lot Horn Pond, Woburn 8 AM
Wednesday Apr 10th Grove St entrance of Brooks Estate Medford 8 AM

Hope to see you there or please contact me offline for more details.

Thanks
-Diana Fruguglietti
Diana.Fru at gmail.com
Woburn

Date: 3/30/24 6:54 pm
From: Toshia McCabe <toshia.fcolors...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] Young woman who stopped by...
A young woman who might be on this list stopped by my house the other night
to ask me about my feeders. I gave her my solar-power water wiggler, and I
realized later that I left the battery plugged in for a long time in
storage. The battery might be dead at this point, so if you are that young
woman and want to bring it back, feel free and I'll dispose of it. I
apologize if I gave you a broken gift!

And apologies to the group for posting a personal message. :)

Toshia

Date: 3/29/24 9:25 am
From: Paul Ippolito <paulippolito295...>
Fellow MBC members,

The Menotomy Bird Club has a selection of trip to choose from over the next
10 days including one tomorrow, Saturday March 30th.

In order to help you plan, we have included trips beyond this weekend. Do
however continue to look at the weekly e-mails as we continually add trips
based upon what is being seen, weather and availability of our leaders.

Early spring is providing some interesting observations being posted
throughout Massachusetts so keep exploring your local patches, *report what
you’re seeing* and enjoy all that our area has to offer.

*Saturday, March 30*

*Greenough Land, Carlisle*

*Alan Ankers 7:30 AM – 10:00 AM*

Visit one of Carlisle’s lesser-known Conservation Lands to look for
lingering winter visitors and

earlier migrants. Co-sponsored by the Carlisle Conservation Foundation.
Meet at the parking lot

opposite 811 Maple Street. 7:30-10:00 AM Alan Ankers <alankers...>

*Tuesday, April 2*

*Horn Pond, Woburn*

*Diana Fruguglietti 8:00 AM – 10:00 AM*

Let's look for early spring migrants such as Eastern Phoebe, Ruby-crowned
Kinglet, Field Sparrow and early warblers such as Palm, Pine and
Yellow-rumped. Meet at the Sturgis Street Entrance 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM Diana
Fruguglietti <diana.fru...>

*Friday, April 5*

*Horn Pond, Woburn*

*Diana Fruguglietti 8:00 AM – 10:00 AM*

Let's look for early spring migrants such as Eastern Phoebe, Ruby-crowned
Kinglet, Field Sparrow and early warblers such as Palm, Pine and
Yellow-rumped. Meet at the Lake Avenue parking lot 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM Diana
Fruguglietti <diana.fru...>

*Saturday, April 6*

*Horn Pond, Woburn*

Date: 3/28/24 9:03 am