plumislandbirds
Received From Subject
1/19/18 8:10 am Thomas Wetmore <ttw4...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> [PIBirds] Jan 19, 4 Lapland Longspurs
1/18/18 11:53 am Bird Watcher's Supply <birdwsg...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> [PIBirds] Golden eagle, Plum Island
1/11/18 7:22 pm Thomas Wetmore <ttw4...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> [PIBirds] Plum Island Website Up to Date
1/3/18 2:09 pm David Weaver <cygnus-dkw...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> [PIBirds] Plum Island & Cashman Park - 01-03-2018
1/1/18 11:22 am Sue McGrath <newburyportbirders...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> [PIBirds] Save the Date: Friends of Parker River Annual Meeting- 1/20/18 at 10:00 am
12/30/17 1:59 pm Thomas Wetmore <ttw4...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> [PIBirds] Dec 30, Plum Island, Highlights
12/27/17 12:39 pm David Weaver <cygnus-dkw...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> [PIBirds] Plum Island - 12-27-2017
12/22/17 3:13 pm Sue McGrath <newburyportbirders...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> [PIBirds] Parker River NWR - closed through Saturday, or more
12/22/17 7:47 am Thomas Wetmore <ttw4...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> [PIBirds] Plum Is, Dec 22, White-eyed Vireo
12/22/17 7:15 am Thomas Wetmore <ttw4...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> [PIBirds] White-eyed vireo

Back to top
Date: 1/19/18 8:10 am
From: Thomas Wetmore <ttw4...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [PIBirds] Jan 19, 4 Lapland Longspurs
This morning there were four Lapland Longspurs along the road at Lot one, feeding alone for awhile, and also feeding with American Tree Sparrows. Note that two Lapland Longspurs were reported from this same area yesterday. No sight or sound from the Chipping Sparrow that may be in the area. Eventually they flew over me to the south. Later I could hear them on the marsh side of the road between the middens and lot two. At one point I saw two of them flying in the Plum Island estuary “canyon”, heading back to the north.

Good birding,

Tom Wetmore, http://bartonstreet.com/tom/birds
Newburyport, Mass.
Think globally, bird locally.

------------------------------------
Posted by: Thomas Wetmore <ttw4...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
<plumislandbirds-digest...>
<plumislandbirds-fullfeatured...>

<plumislandbirds-unsubscribe...>

Back to top
Date: 1/18/18 11:53 am
From: Bird Watcher's Supply <birdwsg...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [PIBirds] Golden eagle, Plum Island
Paul Sullivan called the store at 2:30 to report that Bill Clifford had taken a photo of a Golden eagle just south of the pannes looking west, PRNWR. Bill will be posting the photo on his Facebook account.
Barrett S Bacall

Steve Grinley
Bird Watcher's Supply & Gift
194 Route 1
Route 1 Traffic Circle
Newburyport, MA 01950
<Birdwsg...>
978-462-0775
www.birdwatcherssupplyandgift.com

------------------------------------
Posted by: Bird Watcher's Supply <birdwsg...>

Date: 1/11/18 7:22 pm
From: Thomas Wetmore <ttw4...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [PIBirds] Plum Island Website Up to Date
PI Birders,

After a hiatus of eleven days, my Plum Island birding website is up to date.. At the turn of every year I have to modify a couple of the programs that generate the web pages, and a couple non-generated pages as well. And there are extra problems during the first ten days of every year, to get one of the pages that overlaps across years generated correctly. I’m getting old, my brain is ossifying, so I just bowed out for the first ten days so I wouldn’t have to deal with the overlap problem. There are sometimes errors left over once I change to the next year. If anyone looks at my pages, and finds anything wrong, and cares enough, please let me know.

Date: 1/3/18 2:09 pm
From: David Weaver <cygnus-dkw...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [PIBirds] Plum Island & Cashman Park - 01-03-2018
With David Moon off to warmer climes, David Larson and I led today's
Wednesday Morning Birding program out of Joppa Flats Education Center on
to Plum Island before concluding at Cashman Park at morning's end.
Compared to the last week, it was down right balmy on the island -- with
light winds, a great day to be out and about! Skies were clear to partly
cloudy, temps ranged from 17 to 28 degrees F., and winds S/0-5 mph.

Our list:

Plum Island --
Canada Goose (7)
American Black Duck - common.
Mallard - common.
Greater Scaup (1) - one ocean; with Black Scoter flock n. platform lot #1.
White-winged Scoter - common; one ocean.
Black Scoter (~ 30) - one ocean, n. platform lot #1.
Long-tailed Duck (2) - one ocean; with Black Scoter flock.
Common Loon (~ 12) - one ocean.
Red-necked Grebe (1) - one ocean.
Bald Eagle (1) - ad. perched, Nelson Island across PI Sound.
Sanderling (~ 40) - one beach.
Ring-billed Gull (4) - one beach/ocean.
Herring Gull - various.
Great Black-backed Gull (2) - one ocean.
Rock Pigeon
Snowy Owl (1) - ~ 50 yards directly w. lot #3.
Downy Woodpecker (1) - Pines Trail.
Blue Jay (~ 10) - various.
American Crow (5)
Horned Lark (~ 40) - s. end Bill Forward Pool, seen from Pines parking lot.
Black-capped Chickadee (4) - Pines Trail.
American Robin - common; seemingly everywhere foraging on winterberry.
Northern Mockingbird (2) - 1, The Warden's; 1, s. parking lot #4.
European Starling
Yellow-rumped Warbler (5) - Hellcat restrooms.
American Tree Sparrow (~ 10) - roadside, various.
Song Sparrow (3)
White-throated Sparrow (5) - Pines Trail.
Dark-eyed Junco (6) - Pines Trail.

Cashman Park --
Canada Goose (6)
Mallard (~ 12)
Bufflehead (~ 10)
Common Goldeneye (~ 40)
Red-breasted Merganser (~ 10)
Double-crested Cormorant (1)
Bald Eagle (3) - ads.
Ring-billed Gull (~ 12)
Herring Gull
Great Black-backed Gull (4)
Rock Pigeon
American Crow (~ 12)

In addition, one Snowy Owl was perched on the Merrimack ice close to
Joppa, and one Red-tailed Hawk was harassed by crows at Joppa.

Next week, Wednesday Morning Birding will visit Cape Ann.  Please meet
at 9:30 in the parking lot of Friendly's in Gloucester on the Rt 128
rotary just over the Annisquam River bridge.  If you have any questions
concerning Joppa Flats Education Center programs, call David Larson at
(978) 462-9998.

Dave Weaver
Manchester, MA 01944
<cygnus-dkw...>

------------------------------------
Posted by: David Weaver <cygnus-dkw...>

Date: 1/1/18 11:22 am
From: Sue McGrath <newburyportbirders...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [PIBirds] Save the Date: Friends of Parker River Annual Meeting- 1/20/18 at 10:00 am
Birders,

Happy New Year!

I'm passing along this Save the Date:

If you are interested in hearing Bill Peterson speak about what’s ahead
for the Refuge in 2018 and learning about what the Friends of PRNWR are
doing?
Then plan on attending the Friends’ 2018 Annual Meeting.

Date: Saturday, January 20th
Time: 10:00 a.m.
Location: Visitor Center Auditorium

The meeting will include a vote of the Friends membership to elect the
Board of Directors for 2018.  Visit the Friends’ website -
parkerriver.org <http://parkerriver.org> - to either renew your
membership or join so that you will be eligible to vote.  The Friends
welcome your input, ideas and support on how we can help PRNWR fulfill
its mission.

Good birding,
Sue

Sue McGrath
Newburyport

Back to top
Date: 12/30/17 1:59 pm
From: Thomas Wetmore <ttw4...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [PIBirds] Dec 30, Plum Island, Highlights
PI Birders,

Yes, cold, but still very pleasant with little wind during the first few hours of the day. I keep thinking back to all the winter birding I did when living in Alaska and Alberta, and how balmy 5 degrees above seemed after birding all day at 30 below.

Some highlights from the refuge today.

VIRGINIA RAIL — 1 in southern part of refuge, leaving off details to protect this distressed bird, though its fate is probably sealed.

Snowy Owl — 3 including 1 in the marsh west of lot one, on the osprey platform part of the time, 1 on one of the sets of staddles south of lot five, and 1 in the marsh just north of cross farm hill, on osprey platform part of the time.

Northern Flicker — 1 at Goodno swamp.

Golden-crowned Kinglet — 1 at Hellcat lot.

Red-breasted Nuthatch — 1 calling from the pines east of North “Field”.

Hermit Thrush — 2 including 1 at Goodno swamp, 1 at the entrance to Hellcat.

Gray Catbird — 2 in the Goodno swamp.

Lapland Longspur — flock of 5 took off from the dunes north of lot one, flew over my head calling, and then flew across the estuary where they landed.

Yellow-rumped Warbler — 4 or more at Hellcat across the trail from the johns.

Ipswich Sparrow — 1 in the dunes along the boardwalk to lot one, a beautiful plumaged bird; there were two on the platform earlier seen by others.

Total count for the day was 39 species. Check my sightings page later this evening for any details you might be interested in.

Tomorrow is the Newburyport Christmas Bird Count, which includes all of the refuge. Got to find all of these birds again!

Date: 12/27/17 12:39 pm
From: David Weaver <cygnus-dkw...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [PIBirds] Plum Island - 12-27-2017
David Moon and I led today's Wednesday Morning Birding program out of
the warm confines of Joppa Flats Education Center on to the not-so-warm
Plum Island.  The skies were clear to partly cloudy with temps ranging
from 11 to 19 degrees F. and winds W-NW/5-20 mph -- needless to say,
significant windchill while standing on the north end of the island.
There were about 20 stalwarts, who joined us . . . .

Our list:
Canada Goose (14)
American Black Duck (~ 40) - various, but mostly toward mouth of PI River.
Common Eider (~ 20) - n. end.
White-winged Scoter (7) - n. end.
Black Scoter (~ 25) - one ocean.
Common Goldeneye (4) - n. end.
Red-breasted Merganser (3) - n. end.
Red-throated Loon (1) - n. end.
Common Loon (3) - 1, n. end; 1, one ocean; 1, fly over, lot #1.
Northern Harrier (3)
Cooper's Hawk (1) - road to n. end.
Red-tailed Hawk (1) - juv. adj. lot #1.
Rough-legged Hawk (1) - light morph over marsh n. main gate.
Black-legged Kittiwake (1) - one ocean -- wonderfully close looks; thank
you, Tom Wetmore!!
Ring-billed Gull (3) - no doubt more; one ocean.
Herring Gull - common.
Great Black-backed Gull (2)
Rock Pigeon
Snowy Owl (1) - perched on Osprey nesting platform, w. lot #1.
[Blue Jay (1) - Joppa Flats.]
American Crow (~ 7)
Horned Lark (1) - lot #1 platform.
Hermit Thrush (3) - roadside, S-curves.
American Robin (3) - S-curves.
Northern Mockingbird (2) - 1, The Warden's; 1, S-curves.
European Starling (1) - !!
Cedar Waxwing (3) - s. North Field.
Snow Bunting (1) - flyover, lot #1.
American Tree Sparrow(4) - S-curves.
Song Sparrow (2) - The Warden's.
White-throated Sparrow (~ 9) - S-curves.
Dark-eyed Junco (1) - S-curves.
Northern Cardinal (2) - S-curves.

Next week, we will meet back at Joppa Flats Education Center at 9:30 for
Wednesday Morning Birding. Call David Moon or David Larson at (978)
462-9998 for information about other Joppa Flats programs.

Dave Weaver
Manchester, MA 01944
<cygnus-dkw...>

------------------------------------

Date: 12/22/17 3:13 pm
From: Sue McGrath <newburyportbirders...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [PIBirds] Parker River NWR - closed through Saturday, or more
Birders,

FYI

Good birding,

Sue

Sue McGrath

Due to the storm , we will close the Refuge Visitor Center by NOON on
FRIDAY DEC 23 and the REFUGE GATE WILL BE SHUT BY NOON. We will REMAIN
CLOSED ALL OF SATURDAY (BOTH BUILDING AND REFUGE ON THE ISLAND) and
will not reopen the refuge gate until MAYBE sometime Sunday (pending
snow removal efforts). There is a possibility that it could remain
closed throughout the weekend into Christmas. The refuge Visitor Center
will NOT open until Tues Dec 26th. Jean Jean AdamsParker River NWR 6
Plum Island Tpk Newburyport , MA 01950

Back to top
Date: 12/22/17 7:47 am
From: Thomas Wetmore <ttw4...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [PIBirds] Plum Is, Dec 22, White-eyed Vireo
PI Birders,

I found a WHITE-EYED VIREO near the south end of the S-curves a half hour ago. It was quite close to where one had been seen a few other times over the past couple weeks.

It was traveling with a few other birds, including Yellow-rumped Warblers, White-throated Sparrows, and Northern Cardinals.

Good birding,

Tom Wetmore, http://bartonstreet.com/tom/birds
Newburyport, Mass.
Think globally, bird locally.

(Sorry for the confusing post to the PI list.)

Date: 12/22/17 7:15 am
From: Thomas Wetmore <ttw4...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [PIBirds] White-eyed vireo
Yes!! Still in a curves