plumislandbirds
Received From Subject
9/25/17 7:56 am Thomas Wetmore <ttw4...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> [PIBirds] Re: [MASSBIRD] LAPLAND LONGSPUR
9/25/17 4:17 am Thomas Wetmore <ttw4...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> [PIBirds] LAPLAND LONGSPUR
9/23/17 7:44 am Thomas Wetmore <ttw4...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> [PIBirds] Lark Sparrow
9/21/17 6:19 pm Linda <tattler1...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> [PIBirds] Fwd: [RI Birds] Winter Finch Forecast 2017-2018
9/20/17 1:04 pm David Weaver <cygnus-dkw...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> [PIBirds] Plum Island - 09/20/2017
9/14/17 3:57 am Thomas Wetmore <ttw4...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> [PIBirds] Red Knots Plum Island
9/13/17 10:07 am Sue McGrath <newburyportbirders...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> [PIBirds] Purple Martin Nesting Season 2017 - Plum Island
9/13/17 9:58 am Sue McGrath <newburyportbirders...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> [PIBirds] Purple Martin Nesting Season 2017 - Salisbury Beach State Reservation
9/11/17 5:07 pm Thomas Wetmore <ttw4...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> [PIBirds] Common Shelduck, 11 September, Rye, N.H.
9/11/17 11:02 am <jbedard...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> [PIBirds] One more ID needed [2 Attachments]
9/9/17 7:02 am Bird Watcher's Supply <birdwsg...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> [PIBirds] Lark sparrow continues, PRNWR
9/9/17 5:46 am Verizon <njlandry...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> [PIBirds] PRNWR Lark Sparrow
9/8/17 11:46 am <jbedard...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> [PIBirds] ID help needed [1 Attachment]
9/6/17 11:18 am David Weaver <cygnus-dkw...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> [PIBirds] Plum Island & PI Airport - 09-06-17
9/6/17 7:14 am David Weaver <cygnus-dkw...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> [PIBirds] Buff-breasted Sandpiper
9/6/17 6:59 am Bird Watcher's Supply <birdwsg...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> [PIBirds] Buff-breasted Sand, Golden Plovers-Nbpt&PI 9/6
9/6/17 3:14 am Thomas Wetmore <ttw4...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> [PIBirds] Buff breasted sandpiper
9/5/17 6:53 am Linda <tattler1...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> [PIBirds] Re: [MASSBIRD] Buff/breasted SP continues at north end of Plum Island airport
9/5/17 6:00 am Linda <tattler1...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> [PIBirds] American Golden Plover Bill Forward pool Plum island
9/5/17 4:02 am Linda <tattler1...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> [PIBirds] Buff/breasted SP continues at north end of Plum Island airport
9/4/17 9:43 am Thomas Wetmore <ttw4...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> [PIBirds] Plum Island: Shorebirds at Bill Forward Pool; Others
8/30/17 12:42 pm David Weaver <cygnus-dkw...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> [PIBirds] Plum Island - 08-30-17
8/30/17 7:34 am Thomas Wetmore <ttw4...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> [PIBirds] Plum Island Lot One
8/29/17 3:16 am Thomas Wetmore <ttw4...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> [PIBirds] Long billed dowitchers
8/26/17 8:18 am Bird Watcher's Supply <birdwsg...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> [PIBirds] Sora, Baird's Sandpiper- Plum Island 8/26

Back to top
Date: 9/25/17 7:56 am
From: Thomas Wetmore <ttw4...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [PIBirds] Re: [MASSBIRD] LAPLAND LONGSPUR
In 2015 I had a Lapland Longspur at the Warden’s on Plum Island over three days, 27-29 of Sept; today’s bird is two days earlier; not as unusual as first thought. Veit and Petersen list 18 Sept '77 as earliest fall date.

TW

> On Sep 25, 2017, at 10:42 AM, Peter Trull <petrull...> wrote:
>
> Wow!, precursor?
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Thomas Wetmore
> Sent: Monday, September 25, 2017 7:17 AM
> To: Plum Island Birds
> Cc: mabird
> Subject: [MASSBIRD] LAPLAND LONGSPUR
>
> On flats of Forward Pool, Plum Island. My earliest ever? First fall plumage.
>
> Sent from my iPhone

------------------------------------
Posted by: Thomas Wetmore <ttw4...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
<plumislandbirds-digest...>
<plumislandbirds-fullfeatured...>

<plumislandbirds-unsubscribe...>

Back to top

Date: 9/23/17 7:44 am
From: Thomas Wetmore <ttw4...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [PIBirds] Lark Sparrow
Feeding road side south of first big oak in s curves with chipping sparrows

Sent from my iPhone

------------------------------------

Date: 9/21/17 6:19 pm
From: Linda <tattler1...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [PIBirds] Fwd: [RI Birds] Winter Finch Forecast 2017-2018
Cross posting from RI Birds.

Linda

[RI Birds] Winter Finch Forecast 2017-2018

Ron Pittaway has posted his annual Winter Finch Forecast for 2017 -
2018.  Although this forecast is primarily focused on Ontario, Quebec
and more northern locations, his information and knowledge often benefit
southern New England birders.  See below.

*GENERAL FORECAST:* Cone crops in the Northeast are bumper in 2017. It
is the best cone crop in a decade or more. This will be a banner winter
to see boreal finches in central and northeastern Ontario, Quebec,
Atlantic Canada, northern New York, and northern New England States.
White-winged and Red Crossbills and Pine Siskins have moved east to
areas of abundant seed crops. The Big Question is: will finches
concentrate in areas of highest cone abundance (more likely) or be
spread out across the Northeast? This is not an irruption year south of
traditional wintering areas in the Northeast. Cone crops are generally
low west of a line from Lake Superior to James Bay extending west across
the Prairie Provinces, British Columbia and Alaska. See individual finch
forecasts below for further details.
*PINE GROSBEAK:* Most should stay in the north because the mountain-ash
berry crop is good to excellent across the boreal forest from Alaska to
Newfoundland. Some should get south to Algonquin Park. At feeders they
prefer black oil sunflower seeds.
*PURPLE FINCH: *Most Purple Finches east of Lake Superior should stay
north this winter because of heavy seed crops on eastern conifers and
mountain-ashes. They prefer black oil sunflower seeds at feeders.
*RED CROSSBILL: *There will be a good showing of Red Crossbills in
Ontario and the Northeast this winter. Red Crossbills comprise about 10
"call types" in North America. Matt Young of The Cornell Lab of
Ornithology reports that Eastern Type 10 is currently the most common
type from the Great Lakes through Ontario into the Maritime Provinces
and Northeastern United States. This year Matt also reports that Type 2,
Type 3 and Type 4 and a few Type 5s from the west are moving east, the
latter is a vagrant east of the Rockies. This movement started in late
June/early July, presumably linked to poor or failed crops on several
conifers in the western U.S. and Canada. Most types are impossible to
identify without analyzing recordings of their flight calls. Recordings
can be made with an iPhone and identified to call type by
audio spectrographic analysis. Matt Young (may6 at cornell.edu) will
identify types for you if you email him your recordings or upload them
to an eBird checklist. This helps his research. He is particularly
interested in recordings from Maine, Vermont, Michigan, Ontario and the
Maritime Provinces. Red Crossbills probably will be breeding this winter
into next spring. Expect to hear them singing and to see streaked juveniles.
*WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILL:* This crossbill flooded into the Northeast over
the summer, drawn here by the bumper cone crops. Winter trips to
hotspots such as Algonquin Park, Laurentians and Adirondacks are
guaranteed to see this crossbill. They probably will be breeding this
fall and winter. Watch and listen for their loud trilling songs given
from tree tops and during circular slow-flapping display flights. Expect
to see streaked juveniles in the flocks.
*COMMON REDPOLL:* Redpolls should move south because White Birch and
alder seed crops are below average in northern Ontario. However, as
redpolls move south they likely will be slowed or stopped by abundant
conifer seed crops and better birch crops. If they get into southern
Ontario south of latitude 45, good seed crops on birches and European
Black Alder, and an abundance of weedy fields this year will attract
them. When redpolls discover your nyger seed feeders, feeding frenzies
result. Feeders are best for studying fidgety redpolls. Watch for the
larger and darker “Greater” Common Redpoll (subspecies /rostrata/) from
Baffin Island (Nunavut) and Greenland.
*HOARY REDPOLL: * Watch for Hoaries in flocks of Common Redpolls. The
“Southern” Hoary Redpoll (nominate subspecies /exilipes/) breeds south
to northern Ontario and is the subspecies usually seen in southern
Canada and northern USA. Watch for “Hornemann’s” Hoary Redpoll (nominate
/hornemanni/) from northern Nunavut and Greenland. It is the largest and
palest of the redpolls. Hornemann’s was formerly considered a great
rarity south of the tundra, but recently it has been documented in the
south more frequently with better photos. See link #2 for photos and
identification of Common and Hoary Redpoll, and their subspecies.
*PINE SISKIN:* Siskins will be frequent and locally common this winter
in the Northeast drawn here by abundant cone crops, particularly on
White Spruce. Feisty siskins prefer nyger seeds in silo feeders. See
link #3 which discusses siskin irruptions related to climate variability.
*EVENING GROSBEAK:* Most should stay in the north this winter because of
abundant conifer seed crops and increasing outbreaks of spruce budworm.
The most reliable spot to see this spectacular grosbeak is the feeders
at the Visitor Centre in Algonquin Park. In 2016 the Committee on the
Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada (COSEWIC) assigned the “Evening
Grosbeak as a species of Special Concern due to strong population
declines occurring mainly in central and eastern Canada.”
*THREE IRRUPTIVE PASSERINES:* Movements of these three passerines are
often linked to movements of boreal finches.
*BLUE JAY:* Expect a much smaller than usual flight of jays from
mid-September to mid-October along the north shorelines of Lake Ontario
and Lake Erie. The acorn, beechnut, hazelnut and berry crops are
generally good in Ontario.
*RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH: * This nuthatch is now in areas with high cone
abundance. Its presence indicates that White-winged and Red Crossbills,
Pine Siskins and Purple Finches will be in the same areas.
*BOHEMIAN WAXWING: *Only a small flight south is expected because native
Mountain-ashes have good to excellent berry crops across the boreal
forest from Alaska to Newfoundland. In recent times Bohemians have been
coming south more frequently probably due to now reliable annual crops
of introduced Buckthorn berries. When they come south, Bohemians relish
European Mountain‐ash berries and small ornamental crabapples. It was
historically called “Bohemian Chatterer” because flocks make a
continuous “buzzy ringing twittering”.
*WHERE TO SEE FINCHES:* Ontario’s Algonquin Provincial Park is an
exciting winter experience. It is about a 3.5 hour drive north of
Toronto and west of Ottawa. Cone crops are excellent in the park so both
crossbills, siskins and probably Purple Finches should be common. The
bird feeders at the Visitor Centre (km 43) should attract a few Common
Redpolls (watch for Hoaries), Evening and Pine Grosbeaks. The Visitor
Centre and restaurant are open weekends in winter. On weekdays, it is
open, but with limited services (no restaurant, but snacks and drinks
are available). To view feeders on weekdays phone 613-637-2828. The
bookstore has a fine selection of natural history books. Be sure to get
/Birds of Algonquin Park/ (2012) by former park naturalist Ron Tozer. It
is one of the finest regional bird books. The nearby Spruce Bog Trail at
km 42.5 and Opeongo Road at km 44.5 are the best spots for finches and
boreal species such as Canada Jay, Boreal Chickadee, Spruce Grouse and
Black-backed Woodpecker. Similarly, the Laurentian Mountains in Quebec
and Adirondack Mountains in New York State will be great places to see
finches and boreal birds this winter.
*HISTORICAL NOTE:* Our fascination with nomadic Winter Finches is a
long-standing love affair. Here is an edited note titled WINTER VISITORS
by A.M. Ross (1873) in /The Canadian Ornithologist/ Vol 1, No 1,
Toronto, Ontario. Current names are in brackets. "The past winter was
remarkable in the unusual variety of rare northern birds which visited
this section of Canada. During the month of January 1873, which was
remarkable for the extreme cold and stormy weather, we observed small
flocks of Red Crossbills, White-winged Crossbills, Bohemian Chatterers
(Bohemian Waxwing), Pine Grosbeaks, Pine Finches (Pine Siskin), Lapland
Longspur. Our regular winter visitors also appeared in greater numbers
than usual with large flocks of Snow Buntings, Lesser Redpolls (Common
Redpoll), Snowbirds (Dark-eyed Junco) and Shore Larks (Horned Lark). The
appearance of so many rare northern birds in this section was doubtless
owing to the extreme cold weather in northern Canada during last
winter." This last sentence is a persisting myth still often repeated to
explain the southern occurrences of northern birds in winter.
FINCH INFORMATION LINKS
1. Finch Facts, Seed Crops and Irruptions
http://www.jeaniron.ca/2012/winterfinches.htm
<http://blogspot.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=25affdf8391ba4716c4ca276c&id=19007ba482&e=b513abf5c0>

2. Subspecies of Common and Hoary Redpolls – ID Tips and Photos
http://www.jeaniron.ca/2015/redpollsRP.htm
<http://blogspot.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=25affdf8391ba4716c4ca276c&id=1af748bc3d&e=b513abf5c0>

3. Climatic dipoles drive two principal modes of North American boreal
bird irruption
http://bit.ly/1UrmTsI
<http://blogspot.us7.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=25affdf8391ba4716c4ca276c&id=78aa16aede&e=b513abf5c0>

4. Interview with Ron Pittaway in /OFO News /34(1):1-3, 2016
http://jeaniron.ca/articles/FinchForecasterFe2016.pdf
<http://blogspot.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=25affdf8391ba4716c4ca276c&id=805889d718&e=b513abf5c0>

*ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS:* I thank staff of the Ontario Ministry of Natural
Resources and Forestry, and the many birders/naturalists whose tree seed
reports allow me to make annual forecasts: Christian Artuso (Manitoba),
Dennis Barry (Durham Region, Haliburton, Georgian Bay ON), Angus
Baptiste (Grand lac Victoria QC), Eleanor Beagan (PEI), Peter Burke,
(Southern ON), Geoff Carpentier (Durham Region ON), Glenn Coady (Rainy
River ON), Joan Collins (Adirondacks NY), Pascal Côté (Observatoire
d'oiseaux de Tadoussac QC), Bruce Di Labio (Eastern ON, Churchill MB),
Charity Dobbs (Ontario Tree Seed Plant), Carolle Eady (Dryden ON),
Cameron Eckert (Southern YK), Dave Elder (Atikokan ON), Bruce Falls
(Brodie Club, Toronto), Marcel Gahbauer (Eastern ON), Bill Gilmour
(Presqu’ile Provincial Park ON), Michel Gosselin (Gatineau QC), David
Govatski (NH and VT), Leo Heyens (Kenora ON), Tyler Hoar (Southern ON
and QC), Kris Ito (French River ON), Jean Iron (James Bay and
Northeastern ON), Merven Lane (Northeastern ON), Bruce Mactavish (St.
John’s NL), David McCorquodale (Cape Breton Island NS), Rory MacKay
(Algonquin Park ON), Ken McKenna (NS), Stacy McNulty (Adirondacks NY),
Brian Morin (Cornwall ON), Andree Morneault (Nipissing District ON),
Brian Naylor (Nipissing District, ON), Marty Obbard (Peterborough
ON), Stephen O’Donnell (Parry Sound District ON), Justin Peter
(Algonquin Park ON, Gatineau Park QC, Edmonton AB, Vancouver BC), Fred
Pinto (Nipissing District ON), Rosamund and Jim Pojar (Central and
Northern BC), Brian Ratcliff (Lake Superior ON), Harvey and Brenda
Schmidt (Creighton SK), Doug Tate (Nipigon ON), Ron Tozer (Algonquin
Park ON), Declan Troy (AK), Mike Turner (Haliburton Highlands ON), Riley
Walsh (Northeastern ON), Richard Welsman (Rosetta McClain Gardens,
Toronto). I especially thank Matt Young (NY and Northeastern States) and
for sharing his detailed knowledge of crossbills. I thank Michel
Gosselin and Jean Iron for proofing the forecast, and Jean hosts the
forecast on her website.
Ron Pittaway, Ontario Field Ornithologists, Toronto, Ontario, 21
September 2017

--
Linda Ferraresso
Salem, MA

"Faith is the bird that feels the light and sings when the dawn is still
dark" - Tagore

Date: 9/20/17 1:04 pm
From: David Weaver <cygnus-dkw...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [PIBirds] Plum Island - 09/20/2017
David Moon and I braved the elements leading a relatively small group of
Wednesday Morning Birders on to Plum Island.  We had misting, foggy
conditions with winds NE/15-25 mph, naturally limiting our visibility.
Nonetheless, we managed a representative list of birds for the morning.
We began at the north end of the island and made our way down to Stage
Island Pool with points in between.

Our list:
American Black Duck (5) - main panne.
Green-winged Teal (2) - Bill Forward Pool.
Common Eider (1) - young drake; n. end of island.
Double-crested Cormorant - common; Stage Island Pool, BFP, & North Pool
from Hellcat dike.
Great Blue Heron (2) - 1, South Marsh; 1, NP from Hellcat dike.
Great Egret (~ 18) - various.
Snowy Egret (~ 56) - various.
Glossy Ibis (2) - NP from Hellcat Dike.
Black-bellied Plover (~ 24) - BFP & 1 juv, SIP.
American Golden-Plover (3) - 2 juvs, one beach; 1 ad, SIP.
Semipalmated Plover - common; major share, BFP.
Spotted Sandpiper (1) - SIP.
Greater Yellowlegs (~ 20) - various.
Red Knot (6) - BFP.
Sanderling (1) - n. end.
Semipalmated Sandpiper - common, various.
White-rumped Sandpiper (2) - SIP.
Dunlin (1) - SIP.
Stilt Sandpiper (3) - BFP.
Short-billed Dowitcher (~ 20) - BFP.
Long-billed Dowitcher (1) - BFP.
Ring-billed Gull (6) - one beach.
Herring Gull - common; many foraging in South Marsh at high tide.
Great Black-backed Gull (2)
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove (2)
American Crow (~ 13)
Tree Swallow (~ 200+) - small number flying low over river at n. end;
large flock riding the wind in place, parking lot #1; some flying low
over marsh.
Barn Swallow (1) - n. end.
American Robin (~ 10) - roadside, S-curves.
European Starling - common.
Cedar Waxwing (5) - roadside, Hellcat.
CLAY-COLORED SPARROW (2) - shrubs, near entry to The Wardens parking
lot, n. side.
Song Sparrow (2) - The Wardens.
House Sparrow - refuge entry.

Please take note, in September, Dave Williams will be leading "Friday
Morning Bird Walks: Fall Migrants" out of Joppa Flats from 8:00 - 11:00
a.m.  Dave will be exploring various locations in the greater
Newburyport/Plum Island area with the focus being on birds migrating
through the area, including warblers, shorebirds, raptors, and other
migrants.  Per session, $12 for Mass Audubon members; $15 for nonmembers.

We will meet again next week back at Joppa Flats at 0930 for Wednesday
Morning Birding. For more information about Joppa Flats programs, call
David Moon or Dave Larson at 978-462-9998.

Dave Weaver
Manchester, MA 01944
<cygnus-dkw...>

------------------------------------
Posted by: David Weaver <cygnus-dkw...>

Date: 9/14/17 3:57 am
From: Thomas Wetmore <ttw4...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [PIBirds] Red Knots Plum Island
10 this am at Forward pool

Sent from my iPhone

------------------------------------

Date: 9/13/17 10:07 am
From: Sue McGrath <newburyportbirders...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [PIBirds] Purple Martin Nesting Season 2017 - Plum Island
Birders,

At Lot # 1 on Parker River NWR, we added a new 24 gourd array this
season.  The martins successfully raised young in this new array.

Here are the totals:

Lot #1 North Rack - 1st season:

Gourds: 24

Nests: 2

Eggs: 3

Young Fledged: 3

Lot #1 South Rack:

Gourds: 18

Nests: 11

Eggs: 54

Young Fledged: 49

Nonviable Eggs: 4

*One expired nestling

**One expired adult early in the season

North End Site at the lighthouse:

Gourds: 24

Nests: 14

Eggs: 61

Young Fledged: 57*

Nonviable Eggs: 4

*One young expired after successfully fledgling.

Good birding,

Sue McGrath, Lynette Leka & Jane Sender

Landlords for Plum Island's Purple Martin Sites

------------------------------------
Posted by: Sue McGrath <newburyportbirders...>

Date: 9/13/17 9:58 am
From: Sue McGrath <newburyportbirders...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [PIBirds] Purple Martin Nesting Season 2017 - Salisbury Beach State Reservation
Hi, Birders,

This was the first season for a 12 gourd array at this site.  We were
hoping for some interest from a few martins,
and fortunately, the martins took to the gourds.  The beach is surf
raked daily, and some of the nests contained
pine needles as nest material as there's no wrack to collect for their
nests [the wood chip base was provided
by the landlord].

Gourds: 12
Nests: 3
Eggs: 4
Young: 2
Nonviable Eggs: 2

Good birding,
Sue

Sue McGrath, Purple Martin Landlord
Newburyport, MA
978-204-2976

-

Back to top
Date: 9/11/17 5:07 pm
From: Thomas Wetmore <ttw4...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [PIBirds] Common Shelduck, 11 September, Rye, N.H.
Not from Plum Island, nor Massachusetts.

Thanks to a tip from Dave Adrien, Lu and I drove south by Odiorne this afternoon after an appointment in Portsmouth, N.H. The young Common Shelduck was exactly where Dave told me to look; it was slurping through mud in the second tidal pond south of the entrance to the park. I had heard rumors about there being a shelduck around somewhere, but since it wasn’t on Plum Island, I hadn’t paid attention. Thanks to Dave for texting me instructions this morning after he found out we’d be up that way. If I’m going to be driving right by a life bird, even if it isn’t on Plum Island, I am going to take a look; I’m not crazy.

I checked on the A.O.U. website and discovered that this species is not yet on the accepted list of North American birds, though a number of recent sightings from Newfoundland seem to be weighing arguments strongly against the birds [in Newfoundland] being escapes from aviculturalists.

Good birding,

Tom Wetmore, http://bartonstreet.com/tom/birds
Newburyport, Mass.

------------------------------------

Date: 9/11/17 11:02 am
From: <jbedard...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [PIBirds] One more ID needed [2 Attachments]
Well, I was able to ID everything else from my trip to the Refuge yesterday. I found this little guy along the Pines Trail next to the observation platform among the branches.

Thank you for any help,

John B.
Lenox, MA

Back to top
Date: 9/9/17 7:02 am
From: Bird Watcher's Supply <birdwsg...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [PIBirds] Lark sparrow continues, PRNWR
Barbara Drummond called the store at 10:00 to confirm that the Lark sparrow is still being seen at the warden's station, by the shed with the sand pile.
Barrett S Bacall

Steve Grinley
Bird Watcher's Supply & Gift
194 Route 1
Route 1 Traffic Circle
Newburyport, MA 01950
<Birdwsg...>
978-462-0775
www.birdwatcherssupplyandgift.com

------------------------------------
Posted by: Bird Watcher's Supply <birdwsg...>

Date: 9/9/17 5:46 am
From: Verizon <njlandry...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [PIBirds] PRNWR Lark Sparrow
Lark Sparrow at the Wardens.

Nancy Landry
Haverhill MA
Sent from my iPhone

------------------------------------
Posted by: Verizon <njlandry...>

Date: 9/8/17 11:46 am
From: <jbedard...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [PIBirds] ID help needed [1 Attachment]

It looks like there are 2 different types of birds in this photo I took a few years ago.

Can anyone ID these?

Thank you,

John B.

Back to top
Date: 9/6/17 11:18 am
From: David Weaver <cygnus-dkw...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [PIBirds] Plum Island & PI Airport - 09-06-17
David Moon and I led today's Wednesday Morning Birding program out of
Joppa Flats Education Center under rather ominous-looking skies. Skies
were overcast and very dark; temps were in the upper 60s; and winds
S-SW/5-10 mph.  The rain did not catch up with us until about 11:45 when
we were on the beach platform at parking lot #7.

Our list:
Mallard (~ 35) - various.
Green-winged Teal (4) - Bill Forward Pool.
Northern Gannet (~ 20) - seven ocean.
Double-crested Cormorant - common.
Great Blue Heron (3) - 2, Stage Island Pool; 1, North Pool from Hellcat
dike.
Great Egret (~ 15) - various.
Snowy Egret (48) - various.
Turkey Vulture (2) - standing in marsh, n. refuge entrance.
Osprey (4) - inc. 3, Pines platform (assume from distance to be juvs.).
Northern Harrier (1) - vicinity of North Pool Overlook.
Black-bellied Plover (~ 45) - BFP.
Semipalmated Plover - common; BFP & SIP.
Killdeer (4) - [3, PI Airport]; 1 juv, SIP.
Spotted Sandpiper (1) - SIP.
Greater Yellowlegs (~ 20) - various.
Lesser Yellowlegs (~ 20) - various.
Ruddy Turnstone (1) - seven beach.
Sanderling (5) - seven beach.
Semipalmated Sandpiper - common; BFP & SIP.
Least Sandpiper (1) - NP from Hellcat dike.
White-rumped Sandpiper (5) - BFP.
Stilt Sandpiper (2) - BFP.
[BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER (1) - e. end PI Airport with several Killdeer.]
Short-billed Dowitcher (~ 40) - mostly BFP, some SIP.
Herring Gull
Downy Woodpecker (1) - new blind.
Empidonax sp. (3) - roadside, vicinity of new blind.
Eastern Phoebe (1) - new blind.
American Crow (4) - Hellcat dike.
Tree Swallow (1) - (surely there must have been more!) BFP.
Black-capped Chickadee (2) - new blind.
Gray Catbird (2)
Brown Thrasher (2) - roadside.
European Starling
Cedar Waxwing (6)
Song Sparrow (1) - Hellcat dike.
Bobolink (1) - Hellcat dike.

Date: 9/6/17 7:14 am
From: David Weaver <cygnus-dkw...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [PIBirds] Buff-breasted Sandpiper
PIAirport e. end with several Killdeer @ 0945.

DWeaver

Sent from my iPhone

------------------------------------

Date: 9/6/17 6:59 am
From: Bird Watcher's Supply <birdwsg...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [PIBirds] Buff-breasted Sand, Golden Plovers-Nbpt&PI 9/6
MaryMargaret Halsey reported the BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER continuing at the Plum Island Airport at 8am this morning. She also reports 2 GOLDEN PLOVERs, 8 LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS, and many STILT and WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPERS in Bill Forward Pool this morning on Plum Island.

Steve Grinley
Bird Watcher's Supply & Gift
194 Route 1
Route 1 Traffic Circle
Newburyport, MA 01950
<Birdwsg...>
978-462-0775
www.birdwatcherssupplyandgift.com
SEPT. OPTICS SALE! NOW THRU SEPT 17.
15-20% OFF plus rebates!
i.e. ZEISS SF's $1995, TERRA ED $349!

------------------------------------

Date: 9/6/17 3:14 am
From: Thomas Wetmore <ttw4...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>
Between the two buildings at the Plum Island Airport at 6:13 AM

Sent from my iPhone

------------------------------------

Date: 9/5/17 6:53 am
From: Linda <tattler1...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [PIBirds] Re: [MASSBIRD] Buff/breasted SP continues at north end of Plum Island airport
At 9;50 when leaving the area no sign of the BBSP at the airport or the 50+ Killdeer also feeding there.

Sent from my iPhone

Linda Ferraresso
Salem, MA
<Tattler1...>

> On Sep 5, 2017, at 9:13 AM, Jude Griffin <judegriffin...> wrote:
>
> I observed it there by the little airport office from 8 am to 8:20 am (thanks, Dave Williams!), but it was not resighted by three people there between 8:40 and 9 am.
>
> Jude Griffin
> Salem, MA
> <judegriffin...>
>
>> On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 7:02 AM, Linda <tattler1...> wrote:
>>

>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> Linda Ferraresso
>> Salem, MA
>> <Tattler1...>

Back to top
Date: 9/5/17 6:00 am
From: Linda <tattler1...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [PIBirds] American Golden Plover Bill Forward pool Plum island

Sent from my iPhone

Linda Ferraresso
Salem, MA
<Tattler1...>

------------------------------------
Posted by: Linda <tattler1...>

Date: 9/5/17 4:02 am
From: Linda <tattler1...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>

Sent from my iPhone

Linda Ferraresso
Salem, MA
<Tattler1...>

------------------------------------

Date: 9/4/17 9:43 am
From: Thomas Wetmore <ttw4...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [PIBirds] Plum Island: Shorebirds at Bill Forward Pool; Others
14 Species of Shorebirds found from the Forward New Blind this morning:

Black-bellied Plover: 8+
Killdeer: 1 (seen by others)
Semipalmated Plover: 30+
Greater Yellowlegs: few
Red Knot: 2 (often on far side edge of reeds)
Stilt Sandpiper: 20+ (wonderful selection of these birds)
Short-billed Dowitcher: 30+
Buff-breasted Sandpiper: 1 (gimpy, was in muddy area north of blind)
Dunlin: 1 or 2
Baird’s Sandpiper: 2 (often together far side vegetated marge [as in Lake Laberge] south of blind)
Western Sandpiper: 1 (plus a long-billed Semipalmated, located more or less straight out)
Semipalmated Sandpiper: 60+
White-rumped Sandpiper: 40+ (wonderful selection of these birds)
Least Sandpiper

Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Snowy Egret
Great Egret
Peregrine Falcon: 1
Northern Harrier: 2
Osprey
Ring-billed Gull

American Black Duck
Mallard
Northern Pintail: 2
Green-winged Teal: 35

Others:

Bald Eagle: 1 (adult on tree on North Pool dike)
Killdeer: 1 (bird at north end of main pan there for a week)
Wilson’s Snipe: 1 (feeding edge of North Pool at the overlook)
Dickcissel: 3 (2 flybys at pans; 1 flyby at North Pool overlook)

Off Plum Island:

Buff-breasted Sandpiper: 1 (Plum Island airport with Killdeer, found by Dave Larson)

Tom Wetmore

------------------------------------

Date: 8/30/17 12:42 pm
From: David Weaver <cygnus-dkw...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [PIBirds] Plum Island - 08-30-17
David Moon and I led Joppa Flats' Wednesday Morning Birding program on
to Plum Island with focus, once again, on shorebirds.  The weather
improved from earlier rainy conditions to a beautiful day at program's
end -- skies cloudy to partly cloudy, temps mid-60s to around 70, and
winds NNE/5-12 mph.

Our list:
American Black Duck (1)
Mallard - common; mostly juvs.
Double-crested Cormorant - common.
Great Blue Heron (2) - including 1 in North Pool from Hellcat dike.
Great Egret (~ 12) - various.
Snowy Egret (~ 24) - various.
Glossy Ibis (1) - nonbreeding adult; NP from Hellcat dike.
Turkey Vulture (4)
Osprey (3) - including 2 at Pines platform.
Northern Harrier (2)
Black-bellied Plover (~ 6) - Bill Forward Pool.
Semipalmated Plover (~ 30) - BFP.
Killdeer (1) - BFP.
Greater Yellowlegs (~ 20) - various.
Lesser Yellowlegs (~ 30) - various.
Sanderling (6) - Sandy Point.
Semipalmated Sandpiper - common; mostly BFP.
Least Sandpiper (5) - 1 juv, Stage Island Pool; 4 juvs, NP from Hellcat
dike.
White-rumped Sandpiper (~ 7) - BFP.
Dunlin (1) - mostly alternate plumage; BFP.
Stilt Sandpiper (3) - BFP.
Short-billed Dowitcher (~ 15) - BFP.
Ring-billed Gull (~ 25) - Sandy Point.
Herring Gull (~ 10) - Sandy Point.
Great Black-backed Gull (~ 12) - Sandy Point.
Least Tern (1) - BFP.
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove - many.
Tree Swallow - common.
American Robin (3)
Gray Catbird (2)
Northern Mockingbird (3)
European Starling - common.
Cedar Waxwing (1) - roadside, South Marsh.
Northern Waterthrush (1) - NP from Hellcat dike.
Song Sparrow (1)
American Goldfinch (2) - Hellcat.

Please take note, during Wednesdays in August, "Wednesday Evening
Shorebirding" will be conducted out of Joppa Flats, 5:30 until 7:30.
$10 for Mass Audubon members; $12 for nonmembers. Hope to see you there!

Date: 8/30/17 7:34 am
From: Thomas Wetmore <ttw4...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [PIBirds] Plum Island Lot One
PI Birders,

From the lot one platform this morning:

Black Scoter — flock of 20 migrating by.
Great Shearwater — 6+ — far out, lots of back and forth, could have been a lot more.
shearwater species — 1 large, possible Cory’s (only identifiable birds were Greats, but this one had strong brown coloration and broader wings).
Wilson’s Storm-Petrel — 1
Lesser Black-backed Gull — 1 adult on beach

Confusing things out there, beyond a wet scope and wooden platform bucking in the wind:

Northern Gannet — 40+ including many dark juveniles shearing in the high winds.
Tree Swallows — many tree swallows over the ocean at great distances, as far as the shearwaters and storm-petrel.

Tom Wetmore

------------------------------------

Date: 8/29/17 3:16 am
From: Thomas Wetmore <ttw4...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [PIBirds] Long billed dowitchers
NINE add north pool overlook

Sent from my iPhone

------------------------------------

Date: 8/26/17 8:18 am
From: Bird Watcher's Supply <birdwsg...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [PIBirds] Sora, Baird's Sandpiper- Plum Island 8/26
MaryMargaret Halsey reported a Sora and a Baird's Sandpiper this morning, both seen from the Hellcat Dike on Plum Island.

Steve Grinley
Bird Watcher's Supply & Gift
Route 1 Traffic Circle
Newburyport, MA 01950
<Birdwsg...>
978-462-0775
www.birdwatcherssupplyandgift.com
Shop our Tax Free Weekend-AUG 26 & 27
ADDITIONAL 6.25% Discount off EVERYTHING!
Seed & Feeders to Binoculars & Scopes
SEE THE NEW SWAROVSKI BTX BINOCULAR SCOPE!