plumislandbirds
Received From Subject
11/18/17 2:18 pm '<snowyegret7...>' <snowyegret7...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> Re: [PIBirds] Plum Is, 11/18 Hilites, includes Stilt Sandpiper and White-eyed Vireo
11/18/17 10:52 am Thomas Wetmore <ttw4...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> [PIBirds] Plum Is, 11/18 Hilites, includes Stilt Sandpiper and White-eyed Vireo
11/18/17 8:28 am David Weaver <cygnus-dkw...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> [PIBirds] Correction - 11-15-17
11/17/17 11:45 am Thomas Wetmore <ttw4...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> [PIBirds] Plum Island: Windy Highlights This Morning
11/15/17 1:14 pm David Weaver <cygnus-dkw...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> [PIBirds] Salisbury Beach State Reservation & Plum Island -- 11-15-2017
11/13/17 4:12 am Thomas Wetmore <ttw4...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> [PIBirds] Updates Coming
11/12/17 5:56 am Thomas Wetmore <ttw4...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> [PIBirds] Rough-legged Hawk
11/8/17 5:14 pm David Weaver <cygnus-dkw...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> [PIBirds] West Newbury & Plum Island -- 11-08-2017
11/1/17 5:24 am Thomas Wetmore <ttw4...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> [PIBirds] Buffleheads "Event"
10/26/17 5:17 am Thomas Wetmore <ttw4...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> [PIBirds] Plum Island Stilt Sandpipers
10/25/17 3:39 am Nancy Landry <njlandry...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> [PIBirds] Ipswich Savannah Sparrow
10/24/17 8:30 am Thomas Wetmore <ttw4...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> [PIBirds] Oct 24, Plum Is, a Few Sightings from this Morning
10/21/17 8:48 am Thomas Wetmore <ttw4...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> [PIBirds] My Plum Island Bird Highlights from This Morning
10/21/17 1:54 am Thomas Wetmore <ttw4...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...> [PIBirds] Plum Island: Remaining Shorebirds

Back to top
Date: 11/18/17 2:18 pm
From: '<snowyegret7...>' <snowyegret7...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [PIBirds] Plum Is, 11/18 Hilites, includes Stilt Sandpiper and White-eyed Vireo
A couple of additions:

We saw a group of 7 Snow Geese while watching the Snowy Owl from the Lot 5 platform. They put down briefly on the ocean and then continued south.

At around 2 PM, there were 2 Short-eared Owls flying over Cross Hill

Ann Gurka
Watertown, MA

May the beauty of what you love be what you do,
There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the earth...
Rumi

________________________________
Date: 11/18/17 10:52 am
From: Thomas Wetmore <ttw4...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>
It was another great morning to spend looking for birds on Plum Island. My species count was 66, and I missed common things.

My highlights:

Brant β€” 7 main pan
Lesser Scaup β€” 1 female main pan
Red-throated Loon β€” many, many, many lot one ocean, much fewer lot seven ocean
Red-necked Grebe β€” 1 lot one ocean
Horned Grebe - 2 lot seven ocean
Bald Eagle β€” 1 adult in tree across PI sound from north pool overlook
Merlin β€” 1 chasing crow at Goodno
Peregrine Falcon β€” 1 adult perched on PI bridge
American Coot β€” 1 stage pool
STILT SANDPIPER β€” 1 back side main pan, found by John Nelson, late, maybe same bird seen there in early November
WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPER β€” 3 main pan
SHORT-EARED OWL β€” 1 Cross hill, attracted a flash mob of photographers
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker β€” 1 Goodno
WHITE-EYED VIREO β€” 1 north of Hellcat near south end of north β€œfield”
Red-breasted Nuthatch β€” 2 in pines opposite north β€œfield”
Marsh Wren β€” 1 edge of stage pool from tower
Hermit Thrush β€” 5+ quite active north of Goodno
Red-winged Blackbird β€” flock of 5 Goodno

Reported by others:

SNOWY OWL β€” reported by Tim Walker, seen from the lot five boardwalk
Barred Owl β€” reported by a photographer, seen from the road at hellcat

Good birding,

Tom Wetmore, http://bartonstreet.com/tom/birds
Newburyport, Mass.
Think globally, bird locally.

------------------------------------
Posted by: Thomas Wetmore <ttw4...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
<plumislandbirds-digest...>
<plumislandbirds-fullfeatured...>

<plumislandbirds-unsubscribe...>

Back to top
Date: 11/18/17 8:28 am
From: David Weaver <cygnus-dkw...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [PIBirds] Correction - 11-15-17
Birders! Mea culpa! With the combination of a photo and a Tom Wetmore post, I realized that the 3 Semipalmated Sandpipers posted for this past week’s Wednesday Morning Birding program were, in fact, White-rumped Sandpipers!

Dave Weaver
Manchester, MA 01944
<cygnus-dkw...>

Sent from my iPhone

------------------------------------
Posted by: David Weaver <cygnus-dkw...>

Date: 11/17/17 11:45 am
From: Thomas Wetmore <ttw4...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [PIBirds] Plum Island: Windy Highlights This Morning
On a very windy morning I was able to turn up a few nice surprises on Plum Island.

First, were WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPERS. There have been three hanging around the north end of the main pan (the β€œstinky” place) for the last few days. The three were there again this morning. But there were also at least three more in a flock of about 50 Dunlin at the North Pool Overlook. White-rumps seem to be the last peep to leave Plum Island. I have records of them all they way through November and into December in recent years. From my reading about late peeps, I have seen Western Sandpiper named as the peep most likely to be seen the latest; so I’m always looking for Western Sandpipers this time of year; but all I find are White-rumps.

Second, I found an AMERICAN BITTERN at the edge of a line of reeds just north of Cross Farm Hill. It just happened to be out in the open as I was scanning from afar. It was a long way off, so it took me awhile to be sure of what it was through a wind-bucked telescope, but once it started to walk along the reed edges there was no question. I was only able to show it to one more person before it walked into the reeds and disappeared.

Third, and since raptors always seem to make it to the highlight reel, whether they deserve it or not, there was a ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK circling over the North β€œField.” Later MaryMargaret H. saw one, maybe the same, over the Pines Field. On three of the last five or six days, I have found a Rough-legged Hawk perched on the tippy tops of trees on Grape Island, and on the β€œraptor” tree on Cross Farm Hill.

Tom Wetmore

------------------------------------

Date: 11/15/17 1:14 pm
From: David Weaver <cygnus-dkw...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [PIBirds] Salisbury Beach State Reservation & Plum Island -- 11-15-2017
David Moon and I led today's Wednesday Morning Birding program out of Joppa Flats Education Center, first to Salisbury Beach State Reservation and then on to Plum Island. The weather was delightful -- skies clear to partly cloudy, temps in low 40s, and winds NE/5-10 mph.

Our list:

Salisbury Beach --
Canada Goose
American Black Duck - some in marsh.
Common Eider - common
White-winged Scoter (~ 30)
Long-tailed Duck (~20)
Wild Turkey (~ 10) - while en route to Salisbury.
Red-throated Loon (2)
Common Loon (1)
Northern Harrier (2)
Red-tailed Hawk (1)
Black-bellied Plover (2)
Ring-billed Gull (~ 40) - jetty parking lot.
Herring Gull (~ 8)
Great Black-backed Gull
Merlin (1)
American Crow (1) - harassing 2 harriers.
Horned Lark (3) - fly over at boat ramp.
Black-capped Chickadee (1)
Northern Mockingbird (1)
European Starling - common; several large flocks.
Song Sparrow (1)
American Goldfinch (2)

Plum Island --
Canada Goose - common.
Mute Swan (4) - 1 ad, main panne; 2 ads, 1 cygnet, first panne s. main panne.
American Black Duck - common, thruout refuge from Hellcat north.
Mallard (~ 20) - Bill Forward Pool.
Northern Pintail (~ 20) - BFP.
Green-winged Teal (2) - BFP.
White-winged Scoter (~ 10) - one ocean.
Black Scoter (7) - one ocean.
Long-tailed Duck (~ 10) - one ocean.
Hooded Merganser (8) - BFP.
Red-throated Loon (5) - one ocean.
Common Loon (1) - one ocean.
Northern Gannet (~ 15) - some rafting; one ocean.
Northern Harrier (2)
Cooper's Hawk (1) - perched in tree on mound directly across road from lot #1.
Red-tailed Hawk (1)
Black-bellied Plover (1) - pannes.
Greater Yellowlegs (4) - pannes.
Semipalmated Sandpiper (3) - North Pool from Hellcat dike.
Dunlin (6) - North Pool from Hellcat dike.
Herring Gull (~ 10) - one ocean.
Great Black-backed Gull
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove (5)
American Robin (1) - S-curves.
Northern Mockingbird (2) - parking lot #1.
European Starling - common, several large flocks.
Yellow-rumped Warbler (1) - Hellcat johns.
American Tree Sparrow (1) - Hellcat johns.
Song Sparrow (4) - Hellcat johns.
White-throated Sparrow (~ 10) - Hellcat johns.
Northern Cardinal (1) - Hellcat johns.

We will meet again at 9:30 next Wednesday morning at Joppa Flats Education Center. For any questions relative to Joppa programs, give either David Moon or David Larson a call at (978) 462-9998.

Dave Weaver
Manchester, MA 01944
<cygnus-dkw...>

Sent from my iPad

------------------------------------

Date: 11/13/17 4:12 am
From: Thomas Wetmore <ttw4...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [PIBirds] Updates Coming
Yes, I know I haven’t updated the web pages in five or six days. I’m behind over 300 sightings. But do I update now or go birding? Easy answer. With luck I can get things current this afternoon or evening.

TW

------------------------------------

Date: 11/12/17 5:56 am
From: Thomas Wetmore <ttw4...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [PIBirds] Rough-legged Hawk
Perched on Grape Island

Sent from my iPhone

------------------------------------

Date: 11/8/17 5:14 pm
From: David Weaver <cygnus-dkw...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [PIBirds] West Newbury & Plum Island -- 11-08-2017
Susan Yurkus and I led today's edition of Wednesday Morning Birding out of Joppa Flats Education Center first to Upper Artichoke and Cherry Hill Reservoirs and then on to Plum Island for the balance of the morning. Skies were clear to partly cloudy; temps in the low 40s; and winds N-NNE/5-25 mph. Wind chill significant on parking lot #1 observation platform!

Our list:
Reservoirs --
Canada Goose (~ 50) - mostly Upper Artichoke; a few Cherry Hill.
American Black Duck (1) - UA.
Mallard (~ 15) - UA.
Ring-necked Duck (~ 75) - CH.
Bufflehead (3) - CH.
Common Merganser (3) - 1 drake, 2 hens.
Ruddy Duck (~ 150) - CH.
Double-crested Cormorant (2) - UA.
Red-tailed Hawk (1) - CH.
Ring-billed Gull (1) - CH.

Plum Island --
Canada Goose
Mute Swan (1) - ad, main panne.
American Wigeon (~ 30) - main panne.
American Black Duck (~ 30) - main panne.
Mallard (~ 20) - main panne & Bill Forward Pool.
Northern Pintail (~ 50) - BFP.
Green-winged Teal (~ 60) - BFP.
Black Scoter (3) - one ocean.
Bufflehead (~ 20) - PI River from Warden's.
Red-necked Grebe (1) - one ocean.
Northern Gannet (3) - one ocean.
Great Blue Heron (1) - marsh n. refuge gate.
Northern Harrier (2)
Black-bellied Plover (~ 10) - n. end main panne.
Greater Yellowlegs (5) - pannes.
Dunlin (1) - n. end main panne.
Herring Gull - many, one ocean.
Great Black-backed Gull - many, one ocean.
American Crow
Black-capped Chickadee (3) - new blind.
Golden-crowned Kinglet (1) - new blind.
European Starling

Dave Weaver
Manchester, MA 01944
<cygnus-dkw...>

Sent from my iPad

Back to top
Date: 11/1/17 5:24 am
From: Thomas Wetmore <ttw4...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [PIBirds] Buffleheads "Event"
Impressive number of Buffleheads migrating off Plum Island in flocks of up to 40 birds. 200 plus in 45 minutes at lot seven.

Sent from my iPhone

------------------------------------

Date: 10/26/17 5:17 am
From: Thomas Wetmore <ttw4...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [PIBirds] Plum Island Stilt Sandpipers
2 north pool overlook continue

Sent from my iPhone

------------------------------------

Date: 10/25/17 3:39 am
From: Nancy Landry <njlandry...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [PIBirds] Ipswich Savannah Sparrow

Hi,

I just got confirmation that I had a Ipswich Savannah Sparrow on Sunday October 22 on Parker River NWR. There were 2 birds seen at the sub headquarters with other Savannah Sparrow. There is a photo posted in my ebird report for that day.

Nancy Landry
Haverhill MA

Back to top
Date: 10/24/17 8:30 am
From: Thomas Wetmore <ttw4...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [PIBirds] Oct 24, Plum Is, a Few Sightings from this Morning
Ring-necked Duck β€” 1 with 3 Greater Scaup at Emerson Rocks
Sea ducks, etc β€” all 6 sea ducks, many of both loons, and 4+ Horned Grebes in the ocean, more at Lot Seven than at Lot One.
Cory’s Shearwater β€” 4 shearwaters seen from the Lot One platform, 2 fairly close and excellent Cory’s, other 2 in the distortion and probably Cory’s.
Northern Gannet β€” many 100s if not a couple 1000, moving south along ocean, continuous, steady movement.
Great Egrets β€” 12 plus at North Pool Overlook, standing among the carcasses of 100’s of carp.
Peregrine Falcon β€” 1 on one of four upraised traffic barriers on the Plum Island bridge.
Stilt Sandpiper β€” 2 at North Pool Overlook; how long will these two birds remain, forcing eBird users to click verify and add notes?
American Woodcock β€” 2 birds in display flight, one South Field, one Lot Five, before dawn (plus one seen on the roadside by Steve Babbitt).
Razorbill β€” 1 flyby south Lot One ocean.

Date: 10/21/17 8:48 am
From: Thomas Wetmore <ttw4...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [PIBirds] My Plum Island Bird Highlights from This Morning
The refuge gate was open at least by 5:25 this am (it normally opens at 5:46), so I got an extra quarter hour on the refuge. I was at Lot Seven well before sunrise; I saw a number of meteors while still quite dark, and all my favorite boyhood constellations. Some of the bird highlights:

PINES ACROSS FROM NORTH FIELD about 5:45:
Great Horned Owl β€” not hooting, but giving one of the screaming calls.

LOT SEVEN BEFORE AND JUST AFTER SUNRISE:
Northern Gannet β€” passing in the hundreds, some stopping to feed, but most just moving along.
RAZORBILL β€” one flew by rather close; my brain goes β€œALCID!!!”, with the crazy hope for something unusual, but no, an early Razorbill.
Cory’s Shearwater β€” at least five, could have been many more; the horizon was as crisp as I’ve ever seen it today; seeing birds up to six miles out.
Grebes β€” three Horned swimming near the rocks, one Red-necked flew by to the south.
American Pipit β€” 2 flew overhead, calling, heading south
sea ducks β€” many hundreds of the six usual species, including many migrating Red-breasted Mergansers.

NORTH POOL OVERLOOK AROUND 8:30 TO 9:00:
Hudsonian Godwit β€” one flew in with dowitcher.
Long-billed Dowitcher β€” one flew in with godwit; calling; incredible bill.
Stilt Sandpiper β€” one, and had all three of these birds plus a black-bellied in the scope at once.

WARDENS:
Lapland Longspur β€” one flew overhead, calling, heading south.
Brant β€” flock of 8 on PI sound.

PANS:
Northern Shoveler β€” 5, including 1 male & 4 females.
American Wigeon β€” 16 or more in the main pan and the next one opposite Lot three.

Date: 10/21/17 1:54 am
From: Thomas Wetmore <ttw4...> [plumislandbirds] <plumislandbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [PIBirds] Plum Island: Remaining Shorebirds
PI Birders,

If you are headed for PI this weekend you might want to keep your eye out for some remaining shorebirds:

Long-billed Dowitcher β€” still a couple or so around, two seen yesterday at the North Pool Overlook; calling frequently so you can be sure of the ID.
Stilt Sandpiper β€” still at least one around, seen yesterday at the North Pool Overlook. Check the yellowlegs carefully as this sandpiper looks like one.
White-rumped Sandpiper β€” still a few around, four seen yesterday in a flock of Dunlin on the β€œnew” flats in North Pool viewed from the dike.
Hudsonian Godwit β€” three seen by Margo Goetschkes a day or two ago.
American Woodcock β€” one heard in display flight before dawn at lot five on the two days before yesterday.
Ruddy Turnstone β€” one on Emerson Rocks day before yesterday.
Purple Sandpiper β€” hasn’t arrived yet, but any day now there should be one on the rocks at the town beach, or emerson, or bar head.

As always you can check my website for the details.