SCBIRDCL
Received From Subject
6/21/18 9:42 am Robert Snyder <rhs2...> Re: Swallow swallow
6/20/18 8:31 pm E-mail <wnlaubscher...> Swallow swallow
6/20/18 9:41 am Jon Kauffman <jvk5019...> Hummingbird Field Trip
6/19/18 5:58 am Chad Kauffman <chadkauffman...> Fwd: [PABIRDS] Youth Scholarship for PSO Annual Meeting
6/18/18 8:59 pm NANCY ELLEN KIERNAN <nekiernan...> FW: eBird Report - Millbrook Marsh Nature Center, Jun 15, 2018
6/17/18 1:55 pm Robert Snyder <birdphotoginpa...> eBird -- Rosecrans Bog Natural Area -- Jun 17, 2018
6/14/18 11:36 am Susan Braun <braun3112...> JVAS Bluebird Trail June 16, 10am
6/13/18 2:44 pm rahenry1 <rahenry1...> Re: Fwd: [PABIRDS] PA Breeding Bird Blitz June 15 - 18
6/13/18 5:55 am Gregory William Grove <gwg2...> Church group looking for beginner level bird talk
6/13/18 5:38 am Chad Kauffman <chadkauffman...> Fwd: [PABIRDS] PA Breeding Bird Blitz June 15 - 18
6/12/18 2:17 pm Nick Bolgiano <nickbolgiano...> Lower Trail cerulean warbler survey
6/12/18 11:45 am <bluebird6771...> <bluebird6771...> Possible Common Gallinule? Julian Wetlands
6/11/18 6:24 pm NANCY ELLEN KIERNAN <nekiernan...> Who's Nesting at Millbrook Marsh? a birdwalk Friday 8AM
6/11/18 1:51 pm Jen Lee <jal21...> (not local) G.H.Owlett
6/10/18 3:33 pm NANCY ELLEN KIERNAN <nekiernan...> A different kind of bird walk: eBird Report - Millbrook Marsh Nature Center, Jun 8, 2018
6/10/18 10:01 am Will Miller <wmille7...> Re: Is this unusual behavior?
6/9/18 3:42 pm Thomas Rodgers <tjrb125...> Is this unusual behavior?
6/9/18 1:20 pm Robert Snyder <birdphotoginpa...> eBird -- Bald Eagle SP--Rte. 150 Overlook -- Jun 9, 2018
6/8/18 1:32 pm Gregory William Grove <gwg2...> Fwd: eBird Report - Greenwood Lookout Tower and trails nearby, Jun 8, 2018
6/8/18 5:46 am Bob Fowles <rbf...> Is It Okay to Remove Cowbird Eggs From Host Nests? | Audubon
6/5/18 9:09 am Nick Bolgiano <nickbolgiano...> blue grosbeak outside Williamsburg, Blair Co
6/3/18 4:15 pm <bluebird6771...> <bluebird6771...> Kestrel
6/3/18 2:56 pm Robert Snyder <birdphotoginpa...> eBird -- 87 Lapp Lane Rd, Loganton US-PA (41.0863,-77.2816) -- Jun 3, 2018
6/2/18 7:05 am Robert Snyder <birdphotoginpa...> Some birds from the Old Rt 220 Corridor hot spot, Bald Eagle State Park, Howard, PA
6/2/18 6:36 am Robert Snyder <birdphotoginpa...> Breeding bird portrait
5/30/18 4:42 pm Robert Snyder <birdphotoginpa...> Chimney Swift mosaic
5/29/18 2:04 am Gregory William Grove <gwg2...> 720,000 warblers in one day
5/28/18 6:46 pm Richard Garland <0000236c4f481b8f-dmarc-request...> Re: Not a PA bird - help with ID??
5/28/18 6:35 pm Ron Rovansek <rrovansek...> Re: Not a PA bird - help with ID??
5/28/18 6:32 pm Cindy Alley <alleycomm...> Not a PA bird - help with ID??
5/28/18 11:11 am Charles Musser <00001fae5dcf709a-dmarc-request...>
5/27/18 5:32 am DAVIS, SHAWN <sad12...> Ear tufts on a house finch?
5/25/18 6:43 pm LAWRENCE WILLIAM RAMSEY <lwr...> An unusual sight
5/24/18 5:54 am Julia Plummer <julia...> Kentucky Warbler - singing on Steele Hollow Rd
5/23/18 10:26 am Chad Kauffman <chadkauffman...> Purple Martin Seminar
5/22/18 10:40 am Nick Bolgiano <nickbolgiano...> many BTG warblers on Tussey Mt

Back to top
Date: 6/21/18 9:42 am
From: Robert Snyder <rhs2...>
Subject: Re: Swallow swallow
Great captures Wayne! Amazing how they feed the young while on the wing! Great sequence.

I'll have to share my take on that as well; I got the parent feeding the chick on the right.

I also have that Broad-winged Hawk photo to share.

Bob

Robert Snyder
Research Technologist III
Penn State University
Dept of Plant Science
Rm 219 Tyson Bldg
University Park, PA 16802
Office: 814-863-6168
Cell: 814-753-2629-
Fax: 814-863-6139
<rhs2...>

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
Teddy Roosevelt

Date: 6/20/18 8:31 pm
From: E-mail <wnlaubscher...>

Attached is a series of images of a flyby feeding by an adult Barn Swallow to one of two fledglings. Taken at Rosecrans Bog near Loganton on Sunday when I birded the area with Bob Snyder.

Wayne Laubscher

Lock Haven

<wnlaubscher...> mailto:<wnlaubscher...>

"Owl be back"

Back to top
Date: 6/20/18 9:41 am
From: Jon Kauffman <jvk5019...>
Subject: Hummingbird Field Trip
Hello all,

The bird club will be offering another opportunity to observe hummingbird
banding at the Reed residence once again. Below are details.

Hope everyone is enjoying the nesting season!

Best,
Jon

Saturday, August, 11th 2018 (9:30am-11:30am and 1pm-3pm)
Hummingbird Migration and Banding at the Reed Residence, Coburn, Pa

Please join Jon Kauffman as we visit the homestead of Jan and John Reed of
Coburn, Pa to learn about Ruby-throated Hummingbird migration. With the
fall season quickly approaching the Ruby-throated Hummingbirds,
Pennsylvania’s only nesting hummingbird, are beginning the journey south.
The Reed residence will provide photogenic opportunities for feeding
Ruby-throats as well as the opportunity to observe and learn about
hummingbird banding with fellow naturalist and bird bander, Sandy Lockerman
of Harrisburg,Pa. Sandy will provide on-site demonstrations in how bands
are placed on the hummingbirds as well as collecting wing length, tail
length, weight, beak length, and fat content.

Due to limited parking, field trip participants are asked to choose an AM
visit or PM visit. (See times above). With this in mind carpooling is
highly recommended. If interest in attending, please reply to Jon directly
by Thursday, August 9th with your preferred time slot. A follow-up email
with details and directions will be provided.

Field Trip Leader: Jon Kauffman (<jvk5019...>)

RAIN DATE: Saturday, August 25th 2018

Back to top
Date: 6/19/18 5:58 am
From: Chad Kauffman <chadkauffman...>
Subject: Fwd: [PABIRDS] Youth Scholarship for PSO Annual Meeting

Date: 6/18/18 8:59 pm
From: NANCY ELLEN KIERNAN <nekiernan...>
Subject: FW: eBird Report - Millbrook Marsh Nature Center, Jun 15, 2018
Results from the second "Who's Nesting at Millbrook Marsh? a bird walk"Since
pictures from the report do not transfer through email, I've attached at the
bottom:

Date: 6/17/18 1:55 pm
From: Robert Snyder <birdphotoginpa...>
Subject: eBird -- Rosecrans Bog Natural Area -- Jun 17, 2018
Hello All,

Wayne Laubscher and I went to Rosecrans Bog to look for Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, Golden-winged Warbler and Northern Goshawk. We did not find any of those species but did hear one Blue-headed Vireo and saw one adult Broad-winged Hawk. We also observed two adult Tree Swallows feeding two fledglings while in the bog.

Bob Snyder

Rosecrans Bog Natural Area
Jun 17, 2018
8:49 AM
Traveling
3.95 miles
200 Minutes
All birds reported? Yes
Comments: Wayne Laubscher and I walked in Cranberry Road from the McElHatten Reservoir and birded Roscrans Bog.
Looking for Yellow-bellied Flycatcher and Golden-winged Warbler and Goshawk. Found none of the above, but did observe Broad-winged Hawk and Tree Swallows feeding fledglings.
Submitted from eBird for iOS, version 1.6.5 Build 36

1 Turkey Vulture
1 Broad-winged Hawk -- Adult circling at west end of area
2 Hairy Woodpecker
1 Northern Flicker
1 Blue-headed Vireo -- Singing
4 Red-eyed Vireo
2 Blue Jay
2 American Crow
4 Tree Swallow -- 2 adults feeding fledgling
2 Black-capped Chickadee
1 Tufted Titmouse
3 Wood Thrush
4 Gray Catbird
4 Ovenbird
3 Black-and-white Warbler
3 Common Yellowthroat
2 Yellow Warbler
3 Black-throated Green Warbler
1 Chipping Sparrow
3 Song Sparrow
1 Swamp Sparrow
2 Eastern Towhee
7 Scarlet Tanager
1 Northern Cardinal
1 Indigo Bunting
9 Red-winged Blackbird

Number of Taxa: 26

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 6/14/18 11:36 am
From: Susan Braun <braun3112...>
Subject: JVAS Bluebird Trail June 16, 10am
Stroll the JVAS Bluebird Trail at Fort Roberdeau, Sat June 16, 10am - noon

Join Drs. Stan and Alice Kotala to walk the mowed trail along the 40
bluebird boxes that JVAS maintains at Fort Roberdeau’s 230 acres in Sinking
Valley. Meet in the Fort Roberdeau parking lot off Fort Roberdeau Road at
10am on Saturday.

We will walk about two miles, with an optional visit to the JVAS Pollinator
Garden.

Fort Roberdeau Historic Site <https://goo.gl/maps/hFokL6ZWM2n>, 383 Fort
Roberdeau Rd, Altoona, PA 16601

Back to top
Date: 6/13/18 2:44 pm
From: rahenry1 <rahenry1...>
Subject: Re: Fwd: [PABIRDS] PA Breeding Bird Blitz June 15 - 18

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Express 3, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Chad Kauffman <chadkauffman...> Date: 6/13/18 8:38 AM (GMT-05:00) To: <SCBIRDCL...> Subject: Fwd: [PABIRDS] PA Breeding Bird Blitz June 15 - 18

[PABIRDS] PA Breeding Bird Blitz June 15 - 18

Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2018 06:35:10 -0400

From:
Vern Gauthier <verngauthier14...>

Vern Gauthier <verngauthier14...>

To:
<PABIRDS...>

Greetings,

The fifth annual PA Breeding Bird Blitz will be taking place Friday, June
15th through Monday, June 18th. Another opportunity to add some great PA
Breeding Bird data to eBird! In our never ending quest to change up and
make interesting your gathering of PA Breeding Bird Data that PAB3 this
year will take on a “BIG DAY” format. Don’t let that intimidate you, as you
can test drive a Big Day doing a County Count in an hour or less and you do
not need to be an “expert” birder to take part! All the info you need can
be found at

https://pabirds.org/index.php/projects/breeding-bird-blitz

DO THE BLITZ!

Vern Gauthier

PSO Vice President

Date: 6/13/18 5:55 am
From: Gregory William Grove <gwg2...>
Subject: Church group looking for beginner level bird talk
Hi all

I have been asked if anyone from SCBC might be interested in giving a bird-related talk to a senior citizen church group. They have an October date open, during daytime hours. UM church on E Branch Rd near Lemont.

These are non-birders so nothing complicated or advanced. Lots of bird photos presumably ideal!

Talk to be 30-45 minutes. I could envision something like "Common" or "Interesting" or "Rare" (or combination thereof) birds of Centre Co. etc. But - really , topic is wide open to whatever the speaker wanted to do.

If interested - contact me.

Greg

Greg Grove
Editor - Pennsylvania Birds
9524 Stone Creek Ridge Road, Huntingdon, PA. 16652
814 643 3295
<gwg2...>

Back to top
Date: 6/13/18 5:38 am
From: Chad Kauffman <chadkauffman...>
Subject: Fwd: [PABIRDS] PA Breeding Bird Blitz June 15 - 18

Date: 6/12/18 2:17 pm
From: Nick Bolgiano <nickbolgiano...>
Subject: Lower Trail cerulean warbler survey
I completed another 3-morning (Jun 7, 9, 12) cerulean warbler survey along
the 16.5-mi Lower Trail in Huntingdon and Blair.

Here are the cerulean warbler totals for the last 4 years:

2015 51

2016 65

2017 61

2018 54

Tallies of other birds were:

Eastern Wood-Pewee 24

Acadian Flycatcher 53

Yellow-throated Vireo 22

Warbling Vireo 35

Red-eyed Vireo 148

Carolina Wren 56

Worm-eating Warbler 9

Louisiana Waterthrush 12

American Redstart 87

Northern Parula 9

Yellow-throated Warbler 5

Rose-breasted Grosbeak 6

Orchard Oriole 9

Baltimore Oriole 29

Nick Bolgiano

Eastern Wood-Pewee 24

Acadian Flycatcher 53

Yellow-throated Vireo 22

Warbling Vireo 35

Red-eyed Vireo 148

Carolina Wren 56

Worm-eating Warbler 9

Louisiana Waterthrush 12

American Redstart 87

Cerulean Warbler 54

Northern Parula 9

Rose-breasted Grosbeak 6

Orchard Oriole 9

Baltimore Oriole 29

Back to top
Date: 6/12/18 11:45 am
From: <bluebird6771...> <bluebird6771...>
Subject: Possible Common Gallinule? Julian Wetlands

While checking nest boxes at the Julian Wetland this morning, I heard one series of calls that I believe was a Common Gallinule.

Time was approximately 9:30 am, in the NE section of the wetland. A loud "Kuck,kuck....." type call, descending in pitch and tempo near the end. Total call lasted about 6 seconds in length. I waited for several minutes but it was not repeated. I've listened to other marsh bird calls, but this is the one that comes the closest.

Nick Kerlin

Back to top
Date: 6/11/18 6:24 pm
From: NANCY ELLEN KIERNAN <nekiernan...>
Subject: Who's Nesting at Millbrook Marsh? a birdwalk Friday 8AM

Who's Nesting at Millbrook Marsh? a birdwalk.

Friday, 8-9:30AM or later

Join experienced birder, NancyEllen Kiernan, to identify clues
that help us discover the species of birds breeding here at the marsh this
year.

Take a mystery bird walk to sleuth out who's nesting here, watching for bird
behaviors such as carrying twigs or grasses, carrying insects or seeds, or
carrying fecal sacs.

After this enjoyable walk, you can detect clues to nesting
birds in your back yard or neighborhood, and even participate in the 5th Annual
Pennsylvania Society of Ornithology Breeding Bird Blitz
(https://pabirds.org/index.php/projects/breeding-bird-blitz).

Walk is open to
all ages with any level of experience. Please dress for the weather and bring
binoculars. In the case of heavy rain, the walk that morning will be cancelled.
Registration not required.

Nancy Ellen Kiernan, Ph.D.
Co-author: The Rise of Women Farmers and Sustainable Agriculture.
University of Iowa Press (2016).

Back to top
Date: 6/11/18 1:51 pm
From: Jen Lee <jal21...>
Subject: (not local) G.H.Owlett
This video comes to me from a friends sister in Jacksonville, Illinois on MacMurry campus.
She first told me about it about a month ago with a picture - asking what they should do. It was just a gray fuzzy owlet then on the ground next to her house. I advised, let it alone, check on it, see how it is doing - that the owl parents would probably know where it was and continue to care for it.... The owlet is apparently doing quite well a month later !! see video attached

Jen Lee

Sent: Saturday, June 9, 2018 9:53:34 AM
Subject: Owl

The owl is still there growing and molting! Apparently not bothered by people or the dog walking with my sister. Either the mother is taking care of it or it can fend for itself eating the campus squirrels or something.

C.

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 6/10/18 3:33 pm
From: NANCY ELLEN KIERNAN <nekiernan...>
Subject: A different kind of bird walk: eBird Report - Millbrook Marsh Nature Center, Jun 8, 2018
Here are the results of the first of two birdwalks to identify not just the
birds, but evidence of breeding bird behavior:

Date: 6/10/18 10:01 am
From: Will Miller <wmille7...>
Subject: Re: Is this unusual behavior?
Interesting you mention this. I was walking my dog through Governor's Park
in Bellefonte last weekend and saw several robins making a ruckus in the
woods. Turns out they were mobbing a gray-phase screech-owl that was
sitting on the path. I didn't see if he had anything before he flew off.
Proceeded into the trees where it struck up the "I'm not here" pose for 30+
minutes. Luckily he stayed there long enough for me to grab my wife
(non-birder but owl lover) to show her!

There are several very large trees with hollows in them up along the
walking path in Governor's Park that look like prime screech owl homes!

On Sat, Jun 9, 2018 at 6:42 PM, Thomas Rodgers <tjrb125...> wrote:

> On Friday past, we had fledgling robin hopping in our backyard ( Zion Road
> outside Bellefonte ) attended by parent(s). About 6:00 pm saw a ruckus and
> a Screech-owl had just pounced and killed the fledgling. That got everyone
> going and the robins and Grackles chased the owl into one of our spruce
> trees where it went into its "I’m not here" pose until 20 minutes later the
> robins finally departed. First Screech-owl I have seen in our area, never
> even heard one. Mostly, we have Barred Owls hooting every year.
>
> Tom Rodgers

Back to top
Date: 6/9/18 3:42 pm
From: Thomas Rodgers <tjrb125...>
Subject: Is this unusual behavior?

Date: 6/9/18 1:20 pm
From: Robert Snyder <birdphotoginpa...>
Subject: eBird -- Bald Eagle SP--Rte. 150 Overlook -- Jun 9, 2018
Hello All, we definitely have an active Osprey nest: high out reach on the cell tower, just across Rt 150 from the Overlook at BESP. I’ve been watching it for weeks but saw first signs of use today: both birds at nest, one on nest and the other switching places with the sitting. I think this nest fledged at least on young bird last year but I have no concrete proof. If you’re out this way birding take some time to check out the tower.
Photos obtained.

Also, had a Willow Flycatcher at the SE corner of the Tractor Supply parking lot in Mill Hall today.

Bob Snyder

Bald Eagle SP--Rte. 150 Overlook
Jun 9, 2018
3:05 PM
Stationary
23 Minutes
All birds reported? Yes
Comments: Watching Osprey nest at Rt 150 Overlook at Bald Eagle State Park
Submitted from eBird for iOS, version 1.6.5 Build 36

2 Osprey -- One bird on the nest, other bird perched on tower opposite nest. Second bird flew over and landed on the nest.
3 Red-eyed Vireo
1 Wood Thrush
1 Yellow Warbler
1 Eastern Towhee
1 Red-winged Blackbird

Number of Taxa: 6

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 6/8/18 1:32 pm
From: Gregory William Grove <gwg2...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - Greenwood Lookout Tower and trails nearby, Jun 8, 2018
Today, Deb and I walked a loop I do on top of Broad Mt above Greenwood Furnace SP in Huntingdon Co. Our list is below. This includes the area of the Greenwood Furnace Fire Tower, elev. 2400 ft. The loop is triangular - involving Rag Hollow Rd, the gated road up to fire tower, and a half mile stretch of the Standing Stone Trail. Lots of Towhees, Chestnut-sided Warb., Yellowthroats. Yellow-rumped Warblers summer here as well. I have had some good days on this loop during fall migration.

For those familiar with this location - major changes are underway. Large areas are being cut back with removal of many trees and much of the undergrowth. By no means a clear-cut , but substantial nevertheless. The purpose of the cut is to create early successional habitat - which is favored by Grouse (and a number of other species of course). Our state bird is in significant decline - from various factors including West Nile Virus and decrease in their ideal habitat as forests in PA mature.

On a related note - I have heard the fire tower there will be re-opened to the public.

Greg

Date: 6/8/18 5:46 am
From: Bob Fowles <rbf...>
Subject: Is It Okay to Remove Cowbird Eggs From Host Nests? | Audubon
"Is It Okay to Remove Cowbird Eggs From Host Nests? It can be tempting to interfere with these brood parasites. But there are many reasons—legal and behavioral—to leave them alone."

https://www.audubon.org/news/is-it-okay-remove-cowbird-eggs-host-nests

Back to top
Date: 6/5/18 9:09 am
From: Nick Bolgiano <nickbolgiano...>
Subject: blue grosbeak outside Williamsburg, Blair Co
This morning, while road walking for cerulean warblers near the Lower
Trail, I heard and saw a male blue grosbeak along Wertz Rd in Blair County.
Coordinates (40.46395, -78.24311).

From Grannas Station along the southern part of the Lower Trail, Lower
Piney Creek Rd heads SW and Wertz Rd shortly splits off. At 1.1 mi on Wertz
Rd is a power line with tall wooden poles and gated SGL 147 gravel lanes
going uphill to the R on both sides of the power line. The grosbeak was
in a small scrubby field with a few autumn olive bushes and spruces in the
back when looking ahead while traveling on the road.

I heard it sing, played a blue grosbeak song on my phone and got a close
match as it sang about 20 yd away. I watched it for several minutes as it
sang from tops of tall grass stems - it was larger than an indigo bunting,
with a noticeably bigger head, reddish-brown wing patches, and a slightly
darker blue than a male indigo bunting.

Nearby was a first-year male indigo bunting with light brown on its back
and an orchard oriole that sounded similar.

The 2.3 mi length of this road through mostly forest was nice for walking,
no traffic and few houses. Piney Creek parallels the road and off to the R
are old stone quarries. I heard 5 singing cerulean warblers, 4 not far from
that power line (1 before, 3 after).

Nick Bolgiano

Back to top
Date: 6/3/18 4:15 pm
From: <bluebird6771...> <bluebird6771...>
Subject: Kestrel

One of 5 American Kestrels banded today near Petersburg, Huntingdon County, PA.(photo attached)

Nick Kerlin

Back to top
Date: 6/3/18 2:56 pm
From: Robert Snyder <birdphotoginpa...>
Subject: eBird -- 87 Lapp Lane Rd, Loganton US-PA (41.0863,-77.2816) -- Jun 3, 2018
Went over towards Roscrans Bog Natural Area looking for Bobolinks at the Lapp Farm hayfields. Saw 3birds; males and one female.

Bob

87 Lapp Lane Rd, Loganton US-PA (41.0863,-77.2816)
Jun 3, 2018
2:40 PM
Stationary
44 Minutes
All birds reported? Yes
Comments: Birded Lapp farm hayfield to look for Bobolinks.
Submitted from eBird for iOS, version 1.6.5 Build 36

3 Turkey Vulture
2 Mourning Dove
2 Pileated Woodpecker -- One was flyover
1 Red-eyed Vireo
4 American Crow
5 Barn Swallow
1 Tufted Titmouse
2 Ovenbird
1 Common Yellowthroat
3 Hooded Warbler
1 Yellow Warbler
1 Chipping Sparrow
1 Song Sparrow
3 Bobolink -- 2 males at separate times and one female perched briefly on power line transecting hayfield.
6 Red-winged Blackbird
1 American Goldfinch

Number of Taxa: 16

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 6/2/18 7:05 am
From: Robert Snyder <birdphotoginpa...>
Subject: Some birds from the Old Rt 220 Corridor hot spot, Bald Eagle State Park, Howard, PA
I birded the old Rt 220 corridor on 5/28/18. Here are a few bird photos
from that walk. Most noticeable were the 5 Golden-winged Warblers that I
had encountered over the length of the approximately 1.25 mile walk from
the railroad tracks to the lake; Golden-winged Warbler, Red-eyed Vireo,
Yellow Warbler, Indigo Bunting.

Bob

--
Do the best you can, where you are, with what you have.
Theodore Roosevelt

Back to top
Date: 6/2/18 6:36 am
From: Robert Snyder <birdphotoginpa...>
Subject: Breeding bird portrait
Hello All,

A few recent photos to share: our backyard breeding bird portrait for June
1st: American Robin.

Killdeer portrait , and Red-winged Blackbird male on territory and female
bird with nesting material (from Mill Hall Walmart parking lot marsh: 5/27).

Date: 5/30/18 4:42 pm
From: Robert Snyder <birdphotoginpa...>
Subject: Chimney Swift mosaic
Chimney Swifts are not the easiest bird to photograph. I was lucky enough
to have two fly very low above me at Bullit Run a couple of weeks ago. I
created this "mosaic" in Photoshop. This is the first draft. I need more
material and need to practice some photoshop technique to create what I've
got in mind. I want to show that the 'cigar with wings' does more than
twitter and zoom in circles.

Bob Snyder

Date: 5/29/18 2:04 am
From: Gregory William Grove <gwg2...>
Subject: 720,000 warblers in one day
an ebird checklist (not mine!) from a site in Quebec. Among the warblers counted were over 100,000 each Tennessee , Cape May, and Magnolia.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46116491

Date: 5/28/18 6:46 pm
From: Richard Garland <0000236c4f481b8f-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: Not a PA bird - help with ID??
I believe it is an adult snowy and it is walking in a dark sludge....

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 28, 2018, at 9:34 PM, Ron Rovansek <rrovansek...> wrote:
>
> It seems to be built like a Snowy Egret and seems to have muddy feet.
>
> Ron Rovansek
> Stormstown

Back to top
Date: 5/28/18 6:35 pm
From: Ron Rovansek <rrovansek...>

Date: 5/28/18 11:11 am
From: Charles Musser <00001fae5dcf709a-dmarc-request...>

http://official.arstateofmind.com
Charles Musser

Back to top
Date: 5/27/18 5:32 am
From: DAVIS, SHAWN <sad12...>
Subject: Ear tufts on a house finch?
I saw a female house finch at our feeder over the past few weeks with
distinct ear tufts similar to a horned lark. I wanted to see if I could
get a picture before posting about it, but we've since taken down the
feeder for the year and I doubt I'll get a chance. Anyone see that before
on a house finch or other birds?

-Shawn

Back to top
Date: 5/25/18 6:43 pm
From: LAWRENCE WILLIAM RAMSEY <lwr...>
Subject: An unusual sight
Sitting on our patio this evening at sunset (about 20:20) and caught a brief sight of a female common merganser with 4 chicks riding on her back. This this the second time in the last few years we have seen common merganser ducklings on the section of sinking creek upstream of the Shunk Road bridge. There were not recorded in our section in the last breeding bird atlas as far as I have been able to determine. this last week we have also had three sightings of a female hooded merg with 11-13 ducklings in tow which is very likely the brood we caught flopping out of a duck house early AM on April 20 which we reported on 4/30. Never cease to be delighted by the visual treats in watching nature.
larry

Back to top
Date: 5/24/18 5:54 am
From: Julia Plummer <julia...>
Subject: Kentucky Warbler - singing on Steele Hollow Rd
Hi all,

Good to see many of you at the Bird Club potluck last night at Millbrook
Marsh.

I walked down Steele Hollow Road this morning. Oddly, I did not hear any
Ceruleans singing (usually a reliable place to hear them) but I did hear a
Kentucky Warbler singing, up hill about 4/10 of a mile down from Beaver Rd
(year the marker that says 100 on one side and 110 on the other). I was
not able to locate it visually. This was the first Kentucky Warbler I've
had in Centre county, though I was fortunate to hear one singing last
summer in Huntingdon county.

If you haven't been to Steele Hollow Rd, it is not particularly well suited
to pedestrian travel, but you can park at the top (on Beaver Rd) and walk
down, watching for traffic.

My eBird checklist has the audio recording of the Kentucky Warbler:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45978121

Julia

Date: 5/23/18 10:26 am
From: Chad Kauffman <chadkauffman...>
Subject: Purple Martin Seminar
hello everyone, for anyone interested, here is a seminar being presented
in Juniata County on 6/16/18 at the Turbett Grange in Port Royal, PA.

many of local amish who are involved with Purple Martins are excited for
this to be one of 2 locations this will be happening at.

If you have any additional questions, let me know.  I have put up 12
gourds this year in my first attempt, but so far nothing taking to them
except Tree Swallows.

Chad Kauffman, Mifflintown.

Date: 5/22/18 10:40 am
From: Nick Bolgiano <nickbolgiano...>
Subject: many BTG warblers on Tussey Mt
I have a number of regular hiking-birding routes. One is on Tussey Mt, from
Jo Hayes vista to PA Furnace Rd with a side excursion down to Indian Steps
Trail and back up, for 7 unique miles, plus 3 miles back.

What I have found especially interesting during late April-July is the
number of black-throated green warblers I encounter there. On 6 walks there
during the last 3 years, I have counted 51-59 singing male BTG warblers (56
yesterday). Their density on the ridge top is much higher than on the lower
slopes. Most of the ridge top is deciduous forest - it doesn't seem to
matter whether or not there are hemlocks.

I find the same thing on Stone Mt and Jackson Trail (other side of rt 26),
though not as many BTGs.

Also lots of red-eyed vireos (122 yesterday) and ovenbirds (82 yesterday).
Also a mourning warbler yesterday, a variant with a white eye ring. About
half the time in summer, a rattlesnake or two.

Nick Bolgiano

Join us on Facebook!