SCBIRDCL
Received From Subject
2/15/19 10:27 am Diane K. Bierly <dkb246...> Fwd: [PABIRDS] Fall 2018 Photos for Pennsylvania Birds - Due 2/24/19
2/13/19 8:21 am Jon Kauffman <jvk5019...> Shaver's Creek Owl Prowl this Saturday
2/12/19 4:33 pm Ron Rovansek <rrovansek...> Re: Sparrow pictures
2/12/19 3:55 pm Gregory William Grove <gwg2...> Re: Sparrow pictures
2/12/19 3:51 pm Tom Pluto <mapturtles...> Sparrow pictures
2/12/19 3:35 pm Tom Pluto <mapturtles...> Mystery Sparrow
2/9/19 1:12 pm Zeiss, Carol Ann <caz3...> Swans at Tadpole and Whitehall?
2/6/19 2:38 pm Wentzel, Douglas <djw105...> Gently used pair of Swarovski 8 x 42 needs to get out more (for sale).
2/6/19 1:13 pm Laura Dininni <lmd242...> Please provide input regarding parkland and open space planning
2/5/19 2:13 pm Roana Fuller <roanafuller1956...> Peregrine falcon
2/5/19 9:51 am Debra Rittelmann <dlrittelmann...> Golden Eagle Sighting
2/5/19 7:28 am Ron Rovansek <rrovansek...> Re: Dark morph snow goose
2/5/19 4:29 am Rob Dickerson <rob...> Trumpeter Swans in Mifflin County
2/4/19 6:35 pm Bob Fowles <rbf...> WRS 2019 Newton Hamilton Route, Mifflin County
2/4/19 8:30 am John Carter <000031eca779008e-dmarc-request...> Re: Dark morph snow goose
2/4/19 5:57 am Lee, Jen <jal21...> unusual sight on drive in to work YBCU/BBCU
2/4/19 4:24 am DNADEB <dsg4...> Re: In search of 2009 Birding Cup t-shirt?
2/3/19 7:38 pm Lee, Jen <jal21...> Re: In search of 2009 Birding Cup t-shirt?
2/3/19 1:48 pm Deborah Grove <dsg4...> Re: In search of 2009 Birding Cup t-shirt?
2/3/19 8:01 am Lee, Jen <jal21...> In search of 2009 Birding Cup t-shirt?
2/3/19 7:56 am Julia Plummer <julia...> Dark morph snow goose
1/31/19 10:55 am Laura Dininni <lmd242...> Musser Gap Town Hall POSTPONED
1/30/19 2:31 pm Deborah Grove <dsg4...> Re: EABL Communal Winter Roost
1/30/19 2:13 pm Jon Kauffman <jvk5019...> EABL Communal Winter Roost
1/30/19 12:33 pm Wentzel, Douglas <djw105...> Re: POSTPONED TO FEB 6 Please provide input regarding parkland and open space planning
1/30/19 11:25 am Laura Dininni <lmd242...> POSTPONED TO FEB 6 Please provide input regarding parkland and open space planning
1/30/19 10:16 am E-mail <wnlaubscher...> Snow Buntings, Lock Haven 1/29
1/28/19 6:31 pm Ilene White <rimwhite...> Movie tomorrow
1/28/19 9:19 am Laura Dininni <lmd242...> Please provide input regarding parkland and open space planning
1/27/19 12:09 pm Julia Plummer <julia...> Lapland longspur
1/26/19 5:55 pm Mary MGuire <maryshaymcguire...> Re: Unseasonal brown thrasher
1/26/19 2:42 pm Julia Plummer <julia...> Re: ? Evening Grosbeaks in Rebersburg?
1/26/19 1:45 pm Kurt <000000926143b032-dmarc-request...> WRS - Petersburg - North-central Huntingdon County
1/26/19 1:42 pm Lee, Jen <jal21...> ? Evening Grosbeaks in Rebersburg?
1/26/19 11:21 am Gregory William Grove <gwg2...> McAlevys Fort area WRS
1/26/19 10:58 am Lee, Jen <jal21...> Re: Unseasonal brown thrasher
1/26/19 10:31 am Chet Gottfried <chetg...> Unseasonal brown thrasher
1/25/19 4:19 pm Robert Snyder <birdphotoginpa...> Lake at Bald Eagle State Park
1/25/19 6:57 am Nick Bolgiano <nickbolgiano...> CBC update
1/24/19 8:55 pm NANCY ELLEN KIERNAN <nekiernan...> WRS N Huntingdon County
1/24/19 4:15 pm Robert Snyder <birdphotoginpa...> Bald Eagle State Park Christmas Count Results
1/24/19 11:42 am Lee, Jen <jal21...> Pgap birds Fiedler Rd
1/24/19 10:42 am Robyn Graboski <centrewildlifecare...> Re: Need open water for a loon
1/23/19 5:55 pm Gyekis, Joseph Peter <jpg186...> Volunteer for Goshawk Surveys
1/23/19 1:44 pm Ramsey, Lawrence William <lwr...> Today had at feeder a "Slaty tufted ear"
1/22/19 12:32 pm Mark Ott Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE Smartphone <000027d7a2c8cc0b-dmarc-request...> Re: Need open water for a loon
1/22/19 12:24 pm Jon Kauffman <jvk5019...> Warriors Ridge WRS 1/22/19
1/22/19 11:49 am Mark Ott Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE Smartphone <000027d7a2c8cc0b-dmarc-request...> Re: Need open water for a loon
1/22/19 9:05 am Robert Snyder <birdphotoginpa...> Re: Need open water for a loon
1/22/19 5:46 am Robyn Graboski <centrewildlifecare...> Need open water for a loon
1/21/19 4:30 pm Lorrie Miller <miller.lorrie...> Re: Probably mated pair of Bald Eagles at Bald Eagle State Park
1/21/19 3:46 pm Robert Snyder <birdphotoginpa...> Probably mated pair of Bald Eagles at Bald Eagle State Park
1/19/19 1:47 pm Lee, Jen <jal21...> EDIT: WRS - South-Central Centre Co - Route #146
1/19/19 1:44 pm Lee, Jen <jal21...> WRS - South-Central Centre Co - Route #146
1/19/19 1:20 pm NANCY ELLEN KIERNAN <nekiernan...> WRS Pine Grove Mills 2019
1/18/19 11:43 am <bluebird6771...> <bluebird6771...> Kestrel Success in The Northeast 2018
1/18/19 7:09 am Madison Botch <madisonbotch15...> Seeking Shepherd Hooks & Suet Cage
1/16/19 1:15 pm Gyekis, Joseph Peter <jpg186...> Next Wed 1/23 regular meeting: Chelsea Demarco on

Back to top
Date: 2/15/19 10:27 am
From: Diane K. Bierly <dkb246...>
Subject: Fwd: [PABIRDS] Fall 2018 Photos for Pennsylvania Birds - Due 2/24/19
Date: 2/13/19 8:21 am
From: Jon Kauffman <jvk5019...>
Subject: Shaver's Creek Owl Prowl this Saturday
Hello all,

Shaver's Creek Environmental Center long-time volunteers Carolyn Muse and
Rodney Brubaker will be offering a Sweetheart Owl Prowl this Saturday,
February 16th from 6-8pm. The program will provide a general overview of
owls of central Pennsylvania with a great opportunity to call owls around
the center and nearby trails.

Hope to see you this Saturday!

Best,
Jon

https://www.shaverscreek.org/public-programs-and-events/sweetheart-owl-prowl/

Back to top
Date: 2/12/19 4:33 pm
From: Ron Rovansek <rrovansek...>
Subject: Re: Sparrow pictures
Winter-plumage Chipping Sparrow. Chipping Sparrows aren't common in PA in winter, but they are regular not very far south of PA. This might be a bird that is already starting to move north, or maybe has been around all winter but you just haven't seen it at the feeder until now.

Ron Rovansek
Stormstown
Date: 2/12/19 3:55 pm
From: Gregory William Grove <gwg2...>
Looks to be a winter pl. Chipping Sparrow.

Rare enough, though with climate change I suspect we will have more Chipping staying north, and maybe fewer Tree Sparrows as they may not come so far south in numbers we are accustomed to.

Greg

Date: 2/12/19 3:51 pm
From: Tom Pluto <mapturtles...>
Oops!

Back to top
Date: 2/12/19 3:35 pm
From: Tom Pluto <mapturtles...>
Subject: Mystery Sparrow
Hey Birders,

I need some help with an ID. This was at my feeders this morning. Clay-colored Sparrow? "winter" Chipping? Something else?

Good sparrow day, 5 species: this one, White-throated, Tree, Song, and Field (FOY, 2 ind.). And of course, House "Sparrows."

Thanks,
Tom

Back to top
Date: 2/9/19 1:12 pm
From: Zeiss, Carol Ann <caz3...>
Subject: Swans at Tadpole and Whitehall?
On Tadpole past the road to the first farm

[cid:E838610C-12EB-413C-9871-D3E1E4D83A10]

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 2/6/19 2:38 pm
From: Wentzel, Douglas <djw105...>
Subject: Gently used pair of Swarovski 8 x 42 needs to get out more (for sale).
Hi All,

A local birder is looking to sell a pair of Swarovski 8 x 42<https://www.swarovskioptik.com/birding/slc-42-c21010301/slc-8x42-p5068621>. Asking price is $1450; he purchased this demonstration pair of bins at Cape May Bird Observatory a few years ago and hasn’t used them much so they are in very good shape.

Please email me if you are interested and I’ll put you in touch with the seller.

all the best,
Doug

Doug Wentzel
Program Director & Naturalist

Shaver's Creek Environmental Center
The Pennsylvania State University
3400 Discovery Road
Petersburg, PA 16669-2114

phone: 814.865.4123
fax: 814.865.2706
http://www.ShaversCreek.org

Back to top
Date: 2/6/19 1:13 pm
From: Laura Dininni <lmd242...>
Subject: Please provide input regarding parkland and open space planning
Hi Doug and All!
I’m looking forward to hearing from you tonight beginning at 7pm at the SCAHS about the Centre Region Parks and Open Space Comprehensive Plan and tomorrow at 6 at the Unitarian Universalist for the PSU/Clearwater Musser Gap Plan Open House.

Thank you so much!

Best,
Laura

On Jan 30, 2019, at 3:32 PM, Wentzel, Douglas <djw105...> wrote:

Thanks for the update Laura,

I’m planning to attend next Wednesday’s CRPR meeting to represent our Club’s objective (Foster and promote the knowledge, protection, appreciation and conservation of the bird life and natural resources of central Pennsylvania and beyond). Hope to see other members as well, and it will be good to put into practice what we have been learning from meeting presenters on everything from curbing light pollution to promoting citizen science.

best,
Doug

Date: 2/5/19 2:13 pm
From: Roana Fuller <roanafuller1956...>
Subject: Peregrine falcon
Hi

Just saw a peregrine falcon by the tall building at the corner of college avenue and Atherton street

Ro

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 2/5/19 9:51 am
From: Debra Rittelmann <dlrittelmann...>
Subject: Golden Eagle Sighting
Hello, all!

I hesitate to share this eBird report because I still can't believe it! I
was in my backyard yesterday photographing 2 Black Vultures flying around
when I looked to the left and saw what I thought was a Bald Eagle coming
over Egg Hill ridge flying from the north to the south. I took these 6
shots and when I zoomed in later, I was unsure of what I was looking at.
Sent the report to Joe Gyekis and he confirms Golden Eagle!

Why go birding when you can just stand in your backyard and look around!

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S52393553

Cheers,
Deb Rittelmann

Back to top
Date: 2/5/19 7:28 am
From: Ron Rovansek <rrovansek...>
Subject: Re: Dark morph snow goose
I found the Snow Goose this morning at the same spot. I could see it
only from Robinson Lane near the railroad tracks.
Ron Rovansek

On Feb 4, 2019, at 11:31 AM, John Carter <000031eca779008e-dmarc-request...>
wrote:

Snow goose still present at location.

John Carter

On Sunday, February 3, 2019 Julia Plummer <julia...>
wrote:

Hi,
Found a dark morph snow goose this morning hanging out at a pond
below the train tracks on Robinson Lane in Pleasant Gap just off
of College ave (just down from the fish hatchery). Very difficult
to see from the road. I could only see it at a spot right by
train tracks.
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S52329981
Julia

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 2/5/19 4:29 am
From: Rob Dickerson <rob...>
Subject: Trumpeter Swans in Mifflin County
The three Tundra Swans found on the Newton Hamilton WRS route are actually Trumpeter Swans. Yesterday, Bob Hosler went back to Newton Hamilton and found the three birds approximately one mile upriver from the original location. Route 103 parallels the Juniata River at this location giving great, close views of the river. If the birds stick around, they should be fairly easy to find again.

Rob

Back to top
Date: 2/4/19 6:35 pm
From: Bob Fowles <rbf...>
Subject: WRS 2019 Newton Hamilton Route, Mifflin County
Winter Raptor Survey, Newton Hamilton Route, Mifflin County
Monday 2/3/2019

Observers: Bob Hosler, Bob Fowles (driver)

Start time: 9:45 Stop time: 13:55
Total time on route: 4:10 Hours:Minutes
Miles on route: 53

34 Total raptors and Vultures

19 Black Vultures
9 Red-tails (8 AD, 1 ND)
1 Kestrels (1 M)
1 Red Shouldered (1 AD)
3 Bald Eagle (3 AD)
1 Unidentified raptors

Other species: Tundra Swan, Ring-billed Gull, Mourning Dove, BC Chickadee, Horned Lark, Carolina,Wren, Junco, WT Sparrow, Flicker, Kingfisher, WB Nuthatch, Downy Woodpecker, House Sparow, Canada Goose, Bluebird, Tufted Titmouse, Crow, RB Woodpecker, Rock Pigeon, Starling, Blue Jay, Pileated Woodpecker, Cardinal, Common Merganser, Hooded Merganser

Avg Temperature: 41
Avg Sky: Mostly Cloudy
Avg Wind: Light
Avg Snow: 2"

Route Description: Areas along US 522/22 west of US 322 and north of the Juniata River up to McVeytown; areas along both sides of the Juniata west of McVeytown to Newton Hamilton; Ferguson Valley Rd west of Jack's Mt Rd.

Back to top

Date: 2/4/19 5:57 am
From: Lee, Jen <jal21...>
Subject: unusual sight on drive in to work YBCU/BBCU
Yellow-billed/Black-billed Cuckoo - PA Centre Rockview Prison Rt 26, Centre County
the bird flew about 20 feet off the ground over Rt 26 in front of my car and landed on a lower tree branch, from small field down from recycle center to the small line of trees near the overnight prison guard house on the north side. a long larger but thinner bird with a long tail and an elongated neck with a lump in throat area. underside of bird was very light in color as it flew, darker overall above. longer curved bill clearly seen. it perched in a lean as I passed. I don't know what else it could have been. very unexpected !

Jen Lee
"wherever you go, there you bird."

Back to top
Date: 2/4/19 4:24 am
From: DNADEB <dsg4...>
Subject: Re: In search of 2009 Birding Cup t-shirt?
It will be breaking up a collection of 21 T-shirts for 21 yrs but a good cause.
Deb
Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 3, 2019, at 10:37 PM, Lee, Jen <jal21...> wrote:
>
> Mission accomplished! T-shirt found - thanks Deb Grove!!!
>
> Jen Lee

Back to top
Date: 2/3/19 7:38 pm
From: Lee, Jen <jal21...>

________________________________

Date: 2/3/19 1:48 pm
From: Deborah Grove <dsg4...>
I'll check our vast wardrobe of birding cup shirts.

Deb

--

Deborah Grove

Back to top

Date: 1/31/19 10:55 am
From: Laura Dininni <lmd242...>
Subject: Musser Gap Town Hall POSTPONED
Hi all-
Thanks for bearing with us as we adapt to the weather. The MG2V Community Conversation has been rescheduled for February 7th at 6pm at the Unitarian Universalist Church.
I hope many of you can attend.
Best,
Laura

https://news.psu.edu/story/556786/2019/01/30/impact/musser-gap-community-conversation-postponed-rescheduled-feb-7?utm_source=newswire&utm_medium=email&utm_term=556712_HTML&utm_content=01-30-2019-21-26&utm_campaign=Penn%20State%20Today

Back to top
Date: 1/30/19 2:31 pm
From: Deborah Grove <dsg4...>
Subject: Re: EABL Communal Winter Roost
I did my EABL Climate Watch count on Monday and out of 12 sites only found 2 with individuals, 2 and 4. THEN on the way to town on Tuesday saw EABL at two other selected sites -- where they weren't during the count.

Deb

As I was leaving work today I noticed 2 Eastern Bluebirds perched near one our boxes at the center, which is uncommon at this location at this time of year. I've read that they will communal roost at times of colder temperatures, so I peaked inside the box and found 2 more individuals. I think they are telling us something.

Stay warm,
Jon

--

Deborah Grove

Back to top

Date: 1/30/19 12:33 pm
From: Wentzel, Douglas <djw105...>
Thanks for the update Laura,

I’m planning to attend next Wednesday’s CRPR meeting to represent our Club’s objective (Foster and promote the knowledge, protection, appreciation and conservation of the bird life and natural resources of central Pennsylvania and beyond). Hope to see other members as well, and it will be good to put into practice what we have been learning from meeting presenters on everything from curbing light pollution to promoting citizen science.

best,
Doug

Good afternoon, everyone. The park input meeting must be postponed. The SCASD is closing early today and is canceling all evening activities due to the forecast and projected frigid temperatures. Therefore, we are enacting our snow date for the Centre Region Parks, Recreation, and Open Space Public Meeting that was planned for this evening. This meeting will now be held next Wednesday, February 6 at 7:00 PM<x-apple-data-detectors://5> at the State College Area High School.

https://www.facebook.com/events/261632151170252/<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fevents%2F261632151170252%2F&data=02%7C01%<7Cdjw105...>%7C244c00958ff94c085a1008d686e8a65f%7C7cf48d453ddb4389a9c1c115526eb52e%7C0%7C0%7C636844731117772646&sdata=HL3GDJ1XF8btVOdJZR28T3qmifqB%2BT4FF4jSz02hGCo%3D&reserved=0>
The next evening, Thursday the 31st, from 6-8, is the PSU/Clearwater Town Hall about the potential conservation effort in the Musser Gap area. This is an opportunity to help shape this important effort.
Event on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/events/2311201965566335/<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fevents%2F2311201965566335%2F&data=02%7C01%<7Cdjw105...>%7C244c00958ff94c085a1008d686e8a65f%7C7cf48d453ddb4389a9c1c115526eb52e%7C0%7C0%7C636844731117782655&sdata=j8G1LUUbVQGRJgKNU4%2BdHbvJIEDQ2zBt44qkqduE7X0%3D&reserved=0>

I've attached:
A flier with the details for both the CRPR Park, Recreation and Open Space Plan and the PSU/Clearwater meetings,
The CRPR Call for Input from Birders and
An Op Ed from a Ferguson Township resident that appeared in the Sunday CDT about these wonderful opportunities.

I hope many folks interested in birding are able to contribute their own valuable perspectives to both of these efforts.

Date: 1/30/19 10:16 am
From: E-mail <wnlaubscher...>
Subject: Snow Buntings, Lock Haven 1/29

As a first for the season, Dave Rockey reported that yesterday he saw a flock of 7 Snow Buntings along River Road on the Great Island just east of the river bridge next to the Piiper Airport at Lock Haven.

Wayne Laubscher
Lock Haven
<wnlaubscher...>
"Owl be back"

Back to top
Date: 1/28/19 6:31 pm
From: Ilene White <rimwhite...>
Subject: Movie tomorrow
In conjunction with the Centre Reads book selection, Vulture, by Katie Fallon, Schlow Library has this event scheduled for tomorrow, January 29th. 6:00-8:00 PM

Join us for a showing of Winged Migration (G, 90min). This family-friendly documentary (2003) focuses on the migratory patterns of birds, shot over the course of three years on all seven continents. Snacks will be provided.

Where: Downsbrough Community Room, Schlow Library
A Centre County Reads event. For more information about CCR or to see the full lineup of events, go to CentreCountyReads.org

Back to top

Date: 1/27/19 12:09 pm
From: Julia Plummer <julia...>
Subject: Lapland longspur
Just had a Lapland longspur On airport road in Bellfonte. Right at road edge. Location below.

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Julia Plummer <julia...>
> Date: January 27, 2019 at 3:04:52 PM EST
> To: <julia...>
> Subject: eBird -- 1030–1186 Airport Rd, Bellefonte US-PA (40.9116,-77.7474) -- Jan 27, 2019
>
> 1030–1186 Airport Rd, Bellefonte US-PA (40.9116,-77.7474)
> Jan 27, 2019
> 2:55 PM
> Stationary
> 4 Minutes
> All birds reported? Yes
> Comments: Submitted from eBird for iOS, version 1.9.0 Build 9
>
> 12 Horned Lark
> 1 Lapland Longspur
>
> Number of Taxa: 2
>

> Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 1/26/19 5:55 pm
From: Mary MGuire <maryshaymcguire...>
Subject: Re: Unseasonal brown thrasher
Not birder talk, but he or she is adorable. Thanks, Mary McG.

On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 1:31 PM Chet Gottfried <chetg...> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> This is the second time in three days that a brown thrasher has shown
> up in my yard (and, yes, probably the same one).
>
> The thrasher (as well as some other birds) discovered a piece of suet
> on the ground when I changed an old suet for a new one. I expect a
> squirrel moved the suet from the fork of a tree to farther along the
> ground.
>
> Cheers,
> --Chet

Back to top
Date: 1/26/19 2:42 pm
From: Julia Plummer <julia...>
Subject: Re: ? Evening Grosbeaks in Rebersburg?
Looks like Zoe Rauscher posted photos from seeing the Rebersburg EVGR today
- in the PA Photographs Facebook page.

Julia

On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 4:42 PM Lee, Jen <jal21...> wrote:

> Anyone know if they are still being seen? Thx
>
> Jen Lee

Back to top
Date: 1/26/19 1:45 pm
From: Kurt <000000926143b032-dmarc-request...>
Subject: WRS - Petersburg - North-central Huntingdon County

County - North Central Huntingdon County
Date - Jan. 26, 2019Observers- Kurt Engstrom, Carolyn Mahan-EngstromTotal time actually surveying Hours:Minutes- 2 hours, 10 minutesStart time/End time: 10 am - 12:10 pmMiles on route: 31.5 # Harriers: 0 # Red-tails: 14 # Rough-legs- Light/Dark: 0 # Kestrels- M/F/ND- 1 M # TVs: 0# BVs: 22 - most were at the dairy farm along Diamond Valley Road where there was a dead cow Red-shoulders:  0  We did see one on out way to the start of the route near the north entrance to Stone ValleyBald Eagles- Ad/Imm.: 2 Adults sitting together in the nest along McMahon Rd Other raptors: 1 Merlin, perched at the top of a Spruce tree along Rt. 305                        1 Cooper's hawk, Adult, perched along Alison Rd.

 Avg Temp.- Starting temp 15 degrees, ending temp 22 degreesClear/Pt cloudy/Cloudy- Cloudy to start and partly cloudy to finishWind - Light/medium/strong- calm to light windAvg Snow cover depth - 100% snow cover, 4" depth - paved roads were clear, unpaved were mostly ice - glad to have 4wd  Other species:
Canada goose: 36Rock Pigeon: 178Mourning Dove: 37Red-bellied Woodpecker: 3Hairy Woodpecker: 2Downy Woodpecker: 1Blue Jay: 10American Crow: 65Horned Lark: 36Black-capped Chickadee: 1White-breasted Nuthatch: 2American Goldfinch: 2Dark-eyed Junco: 55White-throated Sparrow: 34White-crowned Sparrow: 12 (farm along McMahon Rd.)Northern Cardinal: 25Northern Mockingbird: 1Cedar waxwing: 17Wild Turkey: 50Wilson's Snipe: 1, stopped to count 40 turkeys along Brookside Road and running turkeys flushed it out of the wet portion of the field
#yiv6757840025 -- filtered {font-family:Times;panose-1:2 0 5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0;}#yiv6757840025 filtered {panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}#yiv6757840025 filtered {font-family:Cambria;panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}#yiv6757840025 p.yiv6757840025MsoNormal, #yiv6757840025 li.yiv6757840025MsoNormal, #yiv6757840025 div.yiv6757840025MsoNormal {margin-top:0in;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:10.0pt;margin-left:0in;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:Cambria;}#yiv6757840025 .yiv6757840025zimbra2 {font-family:Cambria;}#yiv6757840025 .yiv6757840025zimbra3 {margin-bottom:10.0pt;}#yiv6757840025 filtered {margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}#yiv6757840025 div.yiv6757840025WordSection1 {}#yiv6757840025 #yiv6757840025 -- filtered {font-family:Times;panose-1:2 0 5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0;}#yiv6757840025 filtered {panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}#yiv6757840025 filtered {font-family:Cambria;panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}#yiv6757840025 p.yiv6757840025MsoNormal, #yiv6757840025 li.yiv6757840025MsoNormal, #yiv6757840025 div.yiv6757840025MsoNormal {margin-top:0in;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:10.0pt;margin-left:0in;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:Cambria;}#yiv6757840025 .yiv6757840025zimbra4 {font-family:Cambria;}#yiv6757840025 .yiv6757840025zimbra5 {margin-bottom:10.0pt;}#yiv6757840025 filtered {margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;}#yiv6757840025 div.yiv6757840025WordSection1 {}#yiv6757840025

Back to top
Date: 1/26/19 1:42 pm
From: Lee, Jen <jal21...>
Subject: ? Evening Grosbeaks in Rebersburg?

Date: 1/26/19 11:21 am
From: Gregory William Grove <gwg2...>
Subject: McAlevys Fort area WRS
Jan 26 McAlevys fort area WRS - Greg, Deb Grove, Ron Crandall, Ro Fuller

3:22, 42 miles

Red-tails - 17 (second highest)
Red-shoulders- 3 (all adult) (1 more seen after route)
Rough-legs - 1 dark ph. (on Alan Seeger Rd near Christmas tree farm)
Kestrels - 5 (1M, 1 F, 3 ND)
BE - 1 ad.

Greg Grove
Editor - Pennsylvania Birds
9524 Stone Creek Ridge Road, Huntingdon, PA. 16652
814 643 3295
<gwg2...>

Back to top
Date: 1/26/19 10:58 am
From: Lee, Jen <jal21...>
Looks well fed :)

Jen Lee

________________________________

Date: 1/25/19 4:19 pm
From: Robert Snyder <birdphotoginpa...>
Subject: Lake at Bald Eagle State Park
With the influx of runoff from snowmelt and the recent rain, about 50% of the ice at Bd Eagle State Park was gone today when Barb snd I drove to the Lowe’s at Mill Hall.

Bob Snyder

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 1/25/19 6:57 am
From: Nick Bolgiano <nickbolgiano...>
Subject: CBC update
With data in from 44 of 78 PA CBC sites, the attached graph shows species
numbers on an elevation-city-river background. Several central PA sites -
Huntingdon, Lewistown, State College - did well on species numbers. Some of
the long-running southeastern sites that usually report the highest species
numbers experienced heavy rain on the first weekend and have
lower-than-usual numbers.

The black-throated gray warbler at the Duck Pond is a first for a PA CBC.
The Townsend's solitaire at Indiana is a second report.

One aspect that I will examine for my annual PA Birds report is whether
this count showed lower-than-normal numbers in general. In the backwoods
places that I've visited this winter, I've found very few birds, but there
have been several other years like that. In valley places, numbers
seem more normal, though at the low end at some.

Nick Bolgiano

Back to top
Date: 1/24/19 8:55 pm
From: NANCY ELLEN KIERNAN <nekiernan...>
Subject: WRS N Huntingdon County

County -
Huntingdon (N.Huntingdon Route)

Date - January 22,
2019

Observers- Nancy
Ellen and Michael Kiernan

Total time actually surveying Hours: Minutes-
3 hr. 37 min.

Start time/End
time 12:24 - 4:01 PM

Miles on route
48.0

#
Harriers

# Red-tails
-4

# Rough-legs-
Light/Dark

# Kestrels-
M/F/ND-

# TVs -
3

#
BVs-

Red-shoulders

Bald Eagles-
Ad/Imm.

Other raptors UI
-3 (flying)

Shrikes?

Avg
Temp.- 28 degrees

Clear/Pt
cloudy/Cloudy- Very Bright Sun/ pt. cloudy

Wind -
Light/medium/strong- very light wind

Avg Snow cover depth -8
inches with solid hard cover on top from recent sleet

Other
species: Horned lark; Raven; American Crow; RB woodpecker; Mourning dove; Blue
jay; Mocking bird; Song sparrow; White-Throated sparrow; House sparrow;
American tree sparrow; Cardinal; Junco: Rock dove;
Starling.

Interesting Phenomenon Today: Although most roads were well
plowed, the fields next to them were close, high with snow and hard with glaze,
making pulling the car over impossible on Rt 45 or pausing in the middle of
back roads precarious. Additionally the glazed snow made the scene
extraordinarily bright.

But with these odd conditions, a narrow ribbon
of organic matter only 2-4 inches wide lay between the road and the snow
bank. And into those ribbons of organic matter small flocks of
birds picked at and ate there instead of in the fields, including the larks,
song sparrows (group of 5),
other sparrows, crows, mourning doves, and juncos. Amazing pattern all
day long.

Nancy Ellen

Back to top
Date: 1/24/19 4:15 pm
From: Robert Snyder <birdphotoginpa...>
Subject: Bald Eagle State Park Christmas Count Results
I've attached a pdf of the Audubon CBC report for Bald Eagle State Park CBC
(CBC # 119); held on 12/30/2018.

To summarize, we had 9 groups comprised of 15 individuals in the field.
Owling was done by two participants: two species of owls were reported;
Eastern Screech-owl (11) and Great Horned Owl (3).

Fifty-six species were tallied with only 2,239 individuals counted. This
year two routes did not get covered due to ill participants, so that
would've lowered the species number. Overall each party reported low
numbers of individuals; except Diane Bierly who does Marsh Creek Road and
part of Beech Creek Road to Monument reported 249 Wild Turkeys.

I looked back over the 15 years I've been compiler for the PABE circle and
found that the mean number of species for the count (rounded to nearest
whole number) is 62, ranging from 51 (1/20/14) to 70 (1/1/2013). The mean
number of individuals per count is 5,103, with this year being the lowest
at 2,239 and 7,312 (1/01/2008) being the highest count of individuals.

There were no reports of Northern Shrike this year at Bald Eagle State
Park. A first for this count, was a single Merlin (photo attached)
reported from the BESP beach (Susan Braun's group) area that was seen in
the afternoon, directly across the lake in Howard Boro (Bob Snyder: east
end of Main Street).

One Rusty Blackbird was seen by Nick Bolgiano as he walked along Bald Eagle
Creek, south of Dowdy's Hole Road. Nick said this was the first Rusty
Blackbird he had seen during the 17 years he has done that route. Also
found on that route were the single Hermit Thrush and the only two Winter
Wrens seen during the count. A very late Eastern Phoebe was found by Jim
Curtis at the Upper Green's Run boat launch.

Thanks to all who participated in the count for the PABE Circle.

Bob Snyder
Compiler

--
Do the best you can, where you are, with what you have.
Theodore Roosevelt

Back to top
Date: 1/24/19 11:42 am
From: Lee, Jen <jal21...>
Subject: Pgap birds Fiedler Rd
I just found a nice dark phase Rough-legged Hawk followed by a very unexpected Eastern Meadowlark feeding along the road edges near the neighborhood. Making a zeet call! So cool!!

Jen Lee

Back to top
Date: 1/24/19 10:42 am
From: Robyn Graboski <centrewildlifecare...>
Subject: Re: Need open water for a loon
Thanks everyone for your help. We realized that his bird has some minor
injuries, so we are sending it down to Tri-State Bird Rescue and research
for continued care.

Robyn

Robyn Graboski
Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator
Centre Wildlife Care
PO Box 572, Lemont, PA 16851
www.centrewildlifecare.org
814-692-0004

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 12:04 PM Robert Snyder <birdphotoginpa...>
wrote:

> Hello Robyn,
>
> Just checked BESP: lake frozen over: no open water. Maybe Raystown Lake
> is still open?
>
> Bob Snydet
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jan 22, 2019, at 8:45 AM, Robyn Graboski <centrewildlifecare...>
> wrote:
>
> Greetings all,
>
> We just got in a grounded common loon. We need to release it in large
> open water...a large lake or river. Does anyone know where there might be
> open water?
>
> Robyn
>
> Robyn Graboski
> Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator
> Centre Wildlife Care
> PO Box 572, Lemont, PA 16851
> www.centrewildlifecare.org
> 814-692-0004

Back to top
Date: 1/23/19 5:55 pm
From: Gyekis, Joseph Peter <jpg186...>
Subject: Volunteer for Goshawk Surveys
Hi Everyone,
If you are interested in surveying for Northern Goshawks in Pennsylvania this spring between Feb 22 and May 13th, contact Chelsea at <cmd428...>
Joe

Back to top
Date: 1/23/19 1:44 pm
From: Ramsey, Lawrence William <lwr...>
Subject: Today had at feeder a "Slaty tufted ear"
junco. Seehttps://ebird.org/view/checklist/S51973670 for picture

larry

Back to top
Date: 1/22/19 12:32 pm
From: Mark Ott Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE Smartphone <000027d7a2c8cc0b-dmarc-request...>
I’m there now. They have a bubbler keeping the docks ice free. Not sure if enough for take off. The largest area I see is about 200’

Mark Ott

> On Jan 22, 2019, at 12:04 PM, Robert Snyder <birdphotoginpa...> wrote:
>
> Hello Robyn,
>
> Just checked BESP: lake frozen over: no open water. Maybe Raystown Lake is still open?
>
> Bob Snydet
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Jan 22, 2019, at 8:45 AM, Robyn Graboski <centrewildlifecare...> wrote:
>>
>> Greetings all,
>>
>> We just got in a grounded common loon. We need to release it in large open water...a large lake or river. Does anyone know where there might be open water?
>>
>> Robyn
>> Robyn Graboski!
>> Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator
>> Centre Wildlife Care
>> PO Box 572, Lemont, PA 16851
>> www.centrewildlifecare.org
>> 814-692-0004

Back to top
Date: 1/22/19 12:24 pm
From: Jon Kauffman <jvk5019...>
Subject: Warriors Ridge WRS 1/22/19
Hello all,

Today myself and 7 Shaver's Creek Environmental Educators conducted the
Warriors Ridge WRS which covers areas of Mooresville, Cottage, and
Donation. Highlight was certainly the light morph Rough-legged Hawk that
perched and stayed perched for get viewing. This was the first RLHA
recorded for this route since 2014.

Unfortunately no Northern Harriers, which we have been blessed with for the
past 3 years.

Best,

Jon

County - Huntingdon

Date - 1/22/19

Observers- Jon Kauffman, Olivia Stas, Andrew Penn, Alex Webb, Matt
Whiteman, Rory McKenna, Graham Gorgas, Bridget Whyte

Total time Hours:Minutes- 3hrs 15minutes

Start time/End time: 10:15/1:30

Miles on route: 24 miles

# Harriers

# Red-tails: *10 Adults 1 imm and 4 unk*

# Rough-legs- *1 Light*

# Kestrels- M/F/ND- *1M 1F 1ND*

# TVs- *6*

# BVs- *9*

Red-shoulders

Bald Eagles- Ad/Imm. *1Ad*

Other raptors

COHA- *1 imm*

Shrikes?

Avg Temp.-*13F*

Clear/Pt cloudy/Cloudy- *Pt Cloudy*

Wind - Light/medium/strong- *Light*

Avg Snow cover depth -*7 inches*

Back to top
Date: 1/22/19 11:49 am
From: Mark Ott Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE Smartphone <000027d7a2c8cc0b-dmarc-request...>
Bob,
Did you check the marina?

Mark Ott

> On Jan 22, 2019, at 12:04 PM, Robert Snyder <birdphotoginpa...> wrote:
>
> Hello Robyn,
>
> Just checked BESP: lake frozen over: no open water. Maybe Raystown Lake is still open?
>
> Bob Snydet
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Jan 22, 2019, at 8:45 AM, Robyn Graboski <centrewildlifecare...> wrote:
>>
>> Greetings all,
>>
>> We just got in a grounded common loon. We need to release it in large open water...a large lake or river. Does anyone know where there might be open water?
>>
>> Robyn
>> Robyn Graboski!
>> Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator
>> Centre Wildlife Care
>> PO Box 572, Lemont, PA 16851
>> www.centrewildlifecare.org
>> 814-692-0004

Back to top
Date: 1/22/19 9:05 am
From: Robert Snyder <birdphotoginpa...>
Hello Robyn,

Just checked BESP: lake frozen over: no open water. Maybe Raystown Lake is still open?

Bob Snydet

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 22, 2019, at 8:45 AM, Robyn Graboski <centrewildlifecare...> wrote:
>
> Greetings all,
>
> We just got in a grounded common loon. We need to release it in large open water...a large lake or river. Does anyone know where there might be open water?
>
> Robyn
> Robyn Graboski
> Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator
> Centre Wildlife Care
> PO Box 572, Lemont, PA 16851
> www.centrewildlifecare.org
> 814-692-0004

Back to top

Date: 1/21/19 4:30 pm
From: Lorrie Miller <miller.lorrie...>
Subject: Re: Probably mated pair of Bald Eagles at Bald Eagle State Park
Wonderful shots Bob!

Sent from my iPad

> On Jan 21, 2019, at 6:45 PM, Robert Snyder <birdphotoginpa...> wrote:
>
> Hello All,
>
> Well, I've plastered these on FB and my eBird report for 1/18/19. These Bald Eagles were seen from the Sunken Road overlook on 1/18/19 and were flying up near the PFC JFS monument at first: I saw one bird just above the trees directly across from the Sunken Road parking area. Both birds were calling to each other as they appeared and began to approach my position. I had the camera and lens on a tripod and with a pan/gimbal head for stability. They made a pass overhead, banked out over the lake and headed back east, disappearing over the dam.
>
> Enjoy!
>
> Bob Snyder
>

> --
> Do the best you can, where you are, with what you have.
> Theodore Roosevelt
> <2 BEs I ab P1180209.jpg>
> <2 BEs II ab P1180210.jpg>
> <2 BEs III ab P1180206.jpg>
> <2 BEs IV ab P1180216.jpg>
> <2 BEs V ab P1180220.jpg>

Back to top

Date: 1/19/19 1:47 pm
From: Lee, Jen <jal21...>
Subject: EDIT: WRS - South-Central Centre Co - Route #146
Add 2 Cooper Hawks - 2 adults

Jen Lee

Date: 1/19/19 1:20 pm
From: NANCY ELLEN KIERNAN <nekiernan...>
Subject: WRS Pine Grove Mills 2019

Greg, the WRS from Pine Grove Mills; using this year's
form:

County -
Centre

Date - January 19, 2019

Observers- Jim Dunn, Diane Bierley, NancyEllen
Kiernan

Total time actually
surveying Hours:Minutes- 3 hr. 12 min.

Start time/End time 10:07 AM/ 1:19
PM

Miles on route 43.0

# Harriers 1

# Red-tails 10

# Rough-legs- Light/Dark

# Kestrels- M/F/ND-

# TVs 3

# BVs-

Red-shoulders

Bald Eagles- Ad/Imm.

Other raptors Cooper's Hawk
1

Shrikes?

Avg Temp.-31

Clear/Pt cloudy/Cloudy-
Cloudy

Wind - Light/medium/strong- Very
Light

Avg Snow cover depth - 1
in.

Other species included: Turkey, Blue jay, Junco, Canada geese, Mourning Dove,
American crow, Rock dove, Starling

Back to top
Date: 1/18/19 11:43 am
From: <bluebird6771...> <bluebird6771...>
Subject: Kestrel Success in The Northeast 2018
Attached summary of nesting success (bandings) and other items of interest for Am. Kestrels this past year in PA and adjacent states.
Nick Kerlin

Back to top
Date: 1/18/19 7:09 am
From: Madison Botch <madisonbotch15...>
Subject: Seeking Shepherd Hooks & Suet Cage
Hello friends,

I hope you’re enjoying the snow and feeder birds it brings today! This past
Fall, a tree in our yard was felled due to safety concerns, and I lost many
branches that I hung feeders on. I am in search of some shepherd hooks and
a suet cage (since I believe a squirrel has recently confiscated mine) and
I’m wondering if anyone has some lying around that they could donate to a
fellow bird lover.

I appreciate your kindness in advance and hope you have a wonderful Friday!

Madison Botch

--

Madison Botch
Environmental Education Intern
Shaver's Creek Environmental Center
Pennsylvania State University
<kestrel...>

Back to top
Date: 1/16/19 1:15 pm
From: Gyekis, Joseph Peter <jpg186...>
Subject: Next Wed 1/23 regular meeting: Chelsea Demarco on
Hello State College Bird Club,

Please join us this coming Wednesday for a presentation by Chelsea Demarco, a Penn State graduate student studying Northern Goshawks in Pennsylvania.

Thank you,

Joe

January 23, 2019 (Wednesday)
Regular Meeting
7:00 p.m. Millbrook Marsh Nature Center
Program: Chelsea DeMarco will give a program titled "Seeking the Grey Ghosts: an Update from the Pennsylvania Goshawk Project"

February 27, 2019 (Wednesday)
Regular Meeting
7:00 p.m. Millbrook Marsh Nature Center
Program: Wayne Laubscher will give a program titled The Falcons of Clinton and Lycoming Counties

March 27, 2019 (Wednesday)
Regular Meeting
7:00 p.m. Millbrook Marsh Nature Center
Program: Sarah Ingram will give a program with a title to be announced about birding and drawing comics

April 24, 2019 (Wednesday)
Regular Meeting
7:00 p.m. Millbrook Marsh Nature Center
Program: Brian Shema will give a program with a title to be announced about Chimney Swift towers

Join us on Facebook!