MOU-net
Received From Subject
7/17/18 5:34 pm linda whyte <0000004e7b0e779a-dmarc-request...> Re: [mou-net] 140th St. Marsh, Dakota, 7/15
7/17/18 4:55 pm Monica Bryand <mjbryand...> Re: [mou-net] 140th St. Marsh, Dakota, 7/15
7/16/18 7:11 pm Elizabeth Tiller (Beth) <beth87tiller...> [mou-net] Canvasback breeding, Scott County
7/16/18 7:08 pm linda whyte <0000004e7b0e779a-dmarc-request...> Re: [mou-net] 140th St marshtoday
7/16/18 4:04 pm Gail Wieberdink <wieber64...> [mou-net] 140th St marshtoday
7/16/18 4:03 pm Gail Wieberdink <wieber64...> Re: [mou-net] 140th St. Marsh, Dakota, 7/15
7/16/18 2:23 pm linda whyte <0000004e7b0e779a-dmarc-request...> [mou-net] Afton SP, 7?16: Chat(s), Summer Tanager
7/16/18 1:47 pm linda whyte <0000004e7b0e779a-dmarc-request...> [mou-net] 140th St. Marsh, Dakota, 7/15
7/15/18 8:49 pm Stephen Greenfield <tapaculo47...> Re: [mou-net] presentation on birding South Africa
7/15/18 11:24 am kkelnberger <kkelnberger...> [mou-net] State Fair shifts filling fast!
7/14/18 7:58 pm John Clouse <00000249d7b7d4a1-dmarc-request...> Re: [mou-net] State Fair shifts filling fast!
7/14/18 7:44 pm kkelnberger <kkelnberger...> Re: [mou-net] State Fair shifts filling fast!
7/14/18 6:32 pm Sue Keator <chickadeedee55...> Re: [mou-net] State Fair shifts filling fast!
7/14/18 6:12 pm Mary Reese <00000248376651ee-dmarc-request...> [mou-net] RFI - Visiting MSP July 25-30
7/14/18 2:31 pm Stephen Greenfield <tapaculo47...> [mou-net] presentation on birding South Africa
7/14/18 11:22 am Bill Kahn <0000001191fb7131-dmarc-request...> Re: [mou-net] State Fair shifts filling fast!
7/14/18 10:56 am Jeffrey Saffle <Jeffrey.Saffle...> Re: [mou-net] State Fair shifts filling fast!
7/13/18 7:48 pm Nick Lethaby <nlethaby...> [mou-net] birding MN in late October
7/13/18 2:09 pm Jeanie Joppru <rba...> [mou-net] [mou-rba] Northwest Minnesota Birding Report- Thursday, July 12, 2018 NO SPRAGUE'S PIPIT
7/13/18 8:46 am Larry Sirvio <lmsirvio...> [mou-net] Goodhue Co Avocets
7/12/18 6:37 pm Jeanie Joppru <ajjoppru...> [mou-net] Northwest Minnesota Birding Report-Thursday, July 12, 2018
7/7/18 4:49 pm Laura Dekowski <ldekowski.ld...> [mou-net] Wood Stork
7/6/18 2:48 pm David Cahlander <david...> [mou-net] Photo Gallery and Audio Gallery
7/5/18 6:03 am Susan Tertell <stertell...> [mou-net] Question about fledgling barn swallows
7/2/18 1:36 pm Jim & Charlene Nelson <birdnird57...> Re: [mou-net] RFI Seward, Alaska pelagic trips
7/2/18 9:32 am Steve Weston <sweston2g...> Re: [mou-net] RFI Seward, Alaska pelagic trips
7/2/18 5:15 am Joel and Lisa Swanstrom <jts57...> Re: [mou-net] RFI Seward, Alaska pelagic trips
7/1/18 6:20 pm Ann Hobbs <hobbs_ann...> Re: [mou-net] RFI Seward, Alaska pelagic trips
7/1/18 6:15 pm Jason Caddy <j.caddy...> Re: [mou-net] RFI Seward, Alaska pelagic trips
7/1/18 5:54 pm Eric Jeffrey <000000bbd9252660-dmarc-request...> Re: [mou-net] RFI Seward, Alaska pelagic trips
7/1/18 5:32 pm Florinus Kooyman <fkooyman...> Re: [mou-net] RFI Seward, Alaska pelagic trips
7/1/18 4:51 pm Karl Roe <karldroe...> [mou-net] RFI Seward, Alaska pelagic trips
6/30/18 6:37 pm David Crow <dbcrow...> [mou-net] Thanks for the Hospitality at Tamarac NWR
6/29/18 6:06 am Monica Bryand <mjbryand...> Re: [mou-net] Northwest Minnesota Birding Report- Thursday, June 21, 2018
6/26/18 11:39 am MOU <mou...> [mou-net]
6/25/18 9:23 am Vic Lewis <azvegasvic...> [mou-net] Birding SW Hennepin County
6/25/18 9:08 am Kim R Eckert <eckertkr...> [mou-net] AOS / ABA checklist
6/25/18 7:51 am linda whyte <0000004e7b0e779a-dmarc-request...> Re: [mou-net] Birds under threat at Lone Lake Park,Minnetonka
6/25/18 6:58 am Vacek, Curt (DNR) <curt.vacek...> [mou-net] Snowy Egrets - Big Stone County
6/25/18 5:10 am Devon Bowker <devonlbowker...> [mou-net] Birds under threat at Lone Lake Park,Minnetonka
6/24/18 9:43 pm David Crow <dbcrow...> [mou-net] Recommendations for Hubbard Co.?
6/24/18 8:46 am Jason Frank <jmfrank84...> [mou-net] Blue Grosbeaks - Big Stone
6/24/18 8:39 am Steve Weston <sweston2g...> Re: [mou-net] MRVAC Trumpeter Newsletter
6/24/18 8:34 am Steve Weston <sweston2g...> [mou-net] MRVAC Trumpeter Newsletter
6/24/18 6:49 am linda whyte <0000004e7b0e779a-dmarc-request...> [mou-net] Black-billed Cuckoo, Dakota; Common Gallinule, Loggerhead Shrike
6/22/18 7:52 pm M Gonzalez <towhee...> [mou-net] MN visit and thanks for the help
6/22/18 3:55 pm Curt Rawn <catdad50...> [mou-net] MOU's bird booth at the State Fair
6/22/18 9:52 am Steve Weston <sweston2g...> [mou-net] Thursday (6/28) MRVAC Program: Report on Red-Headed Woodpecker Study
6/21/18 6:41 pm Jeanie Joppru <ajjoppru...> [mou-net] Northwest Minnesota Birding Report- Thursday, June 21, 2018
6/19/18 12:45 pm Jim Williams <woodduck38...> [mou-net] Yard lists
6/19/18 10:58 am Jason Frank <jmfrank84...> [mou-net] Mound Spring SNA Sharp Tailed Grouse Update
6/19/18 6:51 am Alex <asgreenplanet4077...> [mou-net] Common Gallinule in Pope County
6/18/18 7:23 am Steven & Cynthia Broste <frednbugs...> Re: [mou-net] Common Gallinule Stevens County
6/18/18 7:21 am Steven & Cynthia Broste <frednbugs...> Re: [mou-net] Common Gallinule Stevens County
6/18/18 6:13 am Alex <asgreenplanet4077...> [mou-net] Common Gallinule Stevens County

Back to top
Date: 7/17/18 5:34 pm
From: linda whyte <0000004e7b0e779a-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: [mou-net] 140th St. Marsh, Dakota, 7/15
It's always worth a look there; for some reason, unusual things show up at
random. Last month, there was a Cuckoo, and before that the cattle egret.
Several years ago, an ibis stopped by briefly.
Congratulations on the lifer!

On Tue, Jul 17, 2018, 6:55 PM Monica Bryand <mjbryand...> wrote:

> Much appreciation for the post. I went out this morning and found the
> Bell's Vireo which was a lifer for me. Lots of other fun things out there
> including, green herons, the spotted sandpipers, lots of cedar wax-wings,
> dickcissels, female rose-breasted grosbeak, marsh wrens, various sparrows
> and more :-)
>

> Monica Bryand
> 651-246-5522
> <http://monicabryandphotography.com/>
> <http://monicabryandphotography.com/>
>
> On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 3:47 PM, linda whyte <
> <0000004e7b0e779a-dmarc-request...> wrote:
>
>> A report of a Blue Grosbeak at this location inspired another check for
>> the
>> species yesterday morning, though I'd looked here on a few previous trips
>> this year. Parking closer to the east border of the waste site, I walked
>> west, noting the many other species to be seen and heard. It wasn't until
>> turned back, walking east toward the car, that I heard Blue Grosbeak song.
>> The bird was singing from the top of a tree on the slope. The voice and
>> song were unmistakable. Its size, shape and stance were typical of the
>> species. Unfortunately, it was back-lit, so didn't give good looks at its
>> deep blue color or its russet wing patch. Before I could get in a position
>> of favorable light, it took off, flying west and dropping behind a ridge
>> near the bottom of the waste site. It was not seen again by me or several
>> other observers who were there at the time.
>> Thanks to Joe Conoly I did finally see the Bell's Vireos I'd been unable
>> find earlier this year. They are apparently nesting in the same location
>> as last year. They were going back and forth to a large bush between the
>> dump driveway and the main pond, with food.
>> Linda Whyte
>>
>> ----
>> Archives: http://lists.umn.edu/archives/mou-net.html

----

Back to top
Date: 7/17/18 4:55 pm
From: Monica Bryand <mjbryand...>
Much appreciation for the post. I went out this morning and found the
Bell's Vireo which was a lifer for me. Lots of other fun things out there
including, green herons, the spotted sandpipers, lots of cedar wax-wings,
dickcissels, female rose-breasted grosbeak, marsh wrens, various sparrows
and more :-)

Monica Bryand
651-246-5522
<http://monicabryandphotography.com/>
<http://monicabryandphotography.com/>

On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 3:47 PM, linda whyte <
<0000004e7b0e779a-dmarc-request...> wrote:

> A report of a Blue Grosbeak at this location inspired another check for the
> species yesterday morning, though I'd looked here on a few previous trips
> this year. Parking closer to the east border of the waste site, I walked
> west, noting the many other species to be seen and heard. It wasn't until I
> turned back, walking east toward the car, that I heard Blue Grosbeak song.
> The bird was singing from the top of a tree on the slope. The voice and
> song were unmistakable. Its size, shape and stance were typical of the
> species. Unfortunately, it was back-lit, so didn't give good looks at its
> deep blue color or its russet wing patch. Before I could get in a position
> of favorable light, it took off, flying west and dropping behind a ridge
> near the bottom of the waste site. It was not seen again by me or several
> other observers who were there at the time.
> Thanks to Joe Conoly I did finally see the Bell's Vireos I'd been unable to
> find earlier this year. They are apparently nesting in the same location
> as last year. They were going back and forth to a large bush between the
> dump driveway and the main pond, with food.
> Linda Whyte
>
> ----

----

Back to top
Date: 7/16/18 7:11 pm
From: Elizabeth Tiller (Beth) <beth87tiller...>
Subject: [mou-net] Canvasback breeding, Scott County
Brood of canvasbacks (female and young) on pond on private land in Webster, Scott County.

Also wood duck and mallard broods. And 3 Great Egrets and one Great Blue Heron.

Beth Tiller
Farmington, Mn
----

Back to top
Date: 7/16/18 7:08 pm
From: linda whyte <0000004e7b0e779a-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: [mou-net] 140th St marshtoday
I did not mention it in my report, but there were also a few shorebirds at
the 140th St. Marsh yesterday. Spotted Sandpiper was mentioned by Joe, but
there was at least one Solitary in the wet area on the north side of the
road.
Linda Whyte

On Mon, Jul 16, 2018, 6:04 PM Gail Wieberdink <wieber64...> wrote:

> I sent the below message in response to Linda White's post about the Blue
> Grosbeak but my message apparently bounced. Here it is again:
>

> We did not see nor hear the Blue Grosbeak at 140th today but we DID see a
> Spotted Sandpiper! It was moving along the side of the road and then
> crossed the road in front of our car and went through the gate and up the
> dump road. I have not seen any other reports of people seeing a Spotted
> Sandpiper there but I could have missed it. It was unexpected but
> unmistakable.
>
> Gail Wieberdink
> Ramsey County
>
> ----

----

Back to top

Date: 7/16/18 4:03 pm
From: Gail Wieberdink <wieber64...>
We did not see nor hear the Blue Grosbeak at 140th today but we DID see a Spotted Sandpiper! It was moving along the side of the road and then crossed the road in front of our car and went through the gate and up the dump road. I have not seen any other reports of people seeing a Spotted Sandpiper there but I could have missed it. It was unexpected but unmistakable.

Gail Wieberdink
Ramsey County

> On July 16, 2018 at 3:47 PM linda whyte <0000004e7b0e779a-dmarc-request...> wrote:
>

> A report of a Blue Grosbeak at this location inspired another check for the
> species yesterday morning, though I'd looked here on a few previous trips
> this year. Parking closer to the east border of the waste site, I walked
> west, noting the many other species to be seen and heard. It wasn't until I
> turned back, walking east toward the car, that I heard Blue Grosbeak song.
> The bird was singing from the top of a tree on the slope. The voice and
> song were unmistakable. Its size, shape and stance were typical of the
> species. Unfortunately, it was back-lit, so didn't give good looks at its
> deep blue color or its russet wing patch. Before I could get in a position
> of favorable light, it took off, flying west and dropping behind a ridge
> near the bottom of the waste site. It was not seen again by me or several
> other observers who were there at the time.
> Thanks to Joe Conoly I did finally see the Bell's Vireos I'd been unable to
> find earlier this year. They are apparently nesting in the same location
> as last year. They were going back and forth to a large bush between the
> dump driveway and the main pond, with food.
> Linda Whyte
>
> ----

----

Back to top
Date: 7/16/18 2:23 pm
From: linda whyte <0000004e7b0e779a-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [mou-net] Afton SP, 7?16: Chat(s), Summer Tanager
Late this morning, Rob and I managed to re-find the Chat in its continuing
location off the north prairie. It was first only audible, singing some of
its usual repertoire from shrubs on the left side of the path. Just then,
my phone rang, and the bird quickly gave what seemed like a warning call.
That continued for several minutes, until it elicited a response call from
the right side of the path. The call and response went on for a few
minutes, before the Chat flew directly over the path, east to west, giving
us good views. It perched in the biggest deciduous tree on the slope, at
the back side, then dropped into one of the bushes on the hillside. We
didn't see it a second time, but as we studied the hillside, something else
caught our eyes, flying out of the apple tree below the hill, and up over
the shrubs where the Chat had disappeared.
At first we both thought "Cardinal", but that didn't fit. It was large,
with chunky beak, but no mask or crest. The color was not the deep red of a
cardinal, but a lighter, slightly grey-mottled red; nor did it have the
brown tones of a young cardinal. It disappeared from view too quickly, with
no vocalization
This site isn't far from where I've seen a Summer Tanager in the past (in
the woods above the trout brook), so I assume the habitat is acceptable .
However, I'd be delighted to hear if someone else can confirm it.
Linda Whyte

----

Back to top

Date: 7/15/18 8:49 pm
From: Stephen Greenfield <tapaculo47...>
Subject: Re: [mou-net] presentation on birding South Africa
I omitted the link! (The tinyurl address was adequate, but here is the URL:)

www.eventbrite.com/e/global-birders-south-africa-tickets-47487576620

Stephen Greenfield

Minneapolis

Date: Monday July 23, 6:00 - 8:00 PM

Location: Walker Library community room, 2880 Hennepin Ave. S (at Lagoon),
Minneapolis

Anyone interested is welcome. For more information, and to get a free
"ticket" (so we can monitor the number of attendees), go to the link below
or type "tinyurl.com/globalbirding11" into your browser.

Stephen Greenfield

Minneapolis

<mailto:<tapaculo47...> <tapaculo47...>

----

Back to top
Date: 7/15/18 11:24 am
From: kkelnberger <kkelnberger...>
Subject: [mou-net] State Fair shifts filling fast!
Here is an updated calendar for MOU at the fair:

ONE VOLUNTEER NEEDED
Thursday, August: 23 5-9
Friday, August 24: 5-9
Wednesday, August 29: 5-9
Thursday, August 30: 5-9
Saturday, September 1: 1-5 and 5-9
Sunday, September 2: 1-5 and 5-9
Monday, September 3: 1-5
.
These shifts need TWO VOLUNTEERS. Sign up with a friend!
Saturday, August 25, 5-9
Monday, August 27: 5-9
Friday, August 31: 1-5 and 5-9

----

Back to top
Date: 7/14/18 7:58 pm
From: John Clouse <00000249d7b7d4a1-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: [mou-net] State Fair shifts filling fast!
Thanks to all for replying “to all!”

John

> On Jul 14, 2018, at 8:32 PM, Sue Keator <chickadeedee55...> wrote:
>
> My thoughts exactly, Bill. plus there is a regular restroom inside the DNR
> building for our use!
> Sue
>
> On Sat, Jul 14, 2018 at 1:21 PM, Bill Kahn <
> <0000001191fb7131-dmarc-request...> wrote:
>
>> Two outta three ain’t bad and the shift comes with benefits that,
>> dietary-wise, fits with the third usage.
>>
>> Bill Kahn
>> Excrementarian from Minneapolis
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Jul 14, 2018, at 12:56 PM, Jeffrey Saffle <
>> <Jeffrey.Saffle...> wrote:
>>>
>>> Do you mean “shift”?
>>>
>>> J Saffle
>>> Lake Elmo
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

>> booth, get a free pass and enjoy fair food and sights before of after your
>> shit ( or both before and after)
>> preferences and I will sign you up. I have tickets ready to mail out to
>> you!

>> enjoy the music then stay for the fire works. A perfect fair day!

>> ----
>> Archives: http://lists.umn.edu/archives/mou-net.html
>>

> ----

----

Back to top
Date: 7/14/18 7:44 pm
From: kkelnberger <kkelnberger...>
>> Sent from my iPhone

>> booth, get a free pass and enjoy fair food and sights before of after
>> your
>> SHIFT. (previous posting good for a few chuckles and a volunteer who
>> signed up for five SHIFTS! ) Sign up for an evening shift, enjoy the
>> fair, relax at the booth and enjoy the music maybe stay for the fire
>> works. A perfect fair day!

>> preferences and I will sign you up. I have tickets ready to mail out
>> you!

Saturday, September 1: 9-1 and 5-9
Sunday, September 2: 1-5 and 5-9
Monday, September 3: 1-5

>> enjoy the music then stay for the fire works. A perfect fair day!

>> ----
>> Archives: http://lists.umn.edu/archives/mou-net.html
>>

> ----

----

Back to top
Date: 7/14/18 6:32 pm
From: Sue Keator <chickadeedee55...>
My thoughts exactly, Bill. plus there is a regular restroom inside the DNR
building for our use!
Sue

On Sat, Jul 14, 2018 at 1:21 PM, Bill Kahn <
<0000001191fb7131-dmarc-request...> wrote:

> Two outta three ain’t bad and the shift comes with benefits that,
> dietary-wise, fits with the third usage.
>
> Bill Kahn
> Excrementarian from Minneapolis
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Jul 14, 2018, at 12:56 PM, Jeffrey Saffle <
> <Jeffrey.Saffle...> wrote:
> >
> > Do you mean “shift”?
> >
> > J Saffle
> > Lake Elmo
> >
> > Sent from my iPhone
> >
> >> On Jul 14, 2018, at 12:51 PM, kkelnberger <kkelnberger...>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Volunteer at the fair for MOU. Sign up to work four hours at the MOU
> booth, get a free pass and enjoy fair food and sights before of after your
> shit ( or both before and after)
> >> Email me, Kate Kelnberger: <kkelnberger...> with your
> preferences and I will sign you up. I have tickets ready to mail out to
> you!
> >>

> >> ONE VOLUNTEER NEEDED
> >>
> >> Thursday, August: 23 5-9
> >> Friday, August 24: 5-9
> >> Wednesday, August 29: 5-9
> >> Thursday, August 30: 5-9
> >> Monday, September 3: 5-9
> >> Sign up for an evening shift, enjoy the fair, relax at the booth and
> enjoy the music then stay for the fire works. A perfect fair day!
> >>
> >> ONE VOLUNTEER is needed for Saturday, September 1 from 9-1
> >> Enjoy the fair after 1:00 for free.
> >>
> >> These shifts need TWO VOLUNTEERS. Sign up with a friend!
> >> Saturday, August 25, 5-9
> >> Monday, August 27, 5-9
> >> Friday, August 31, 1-5 and 5-9
> >> Saturday, September 1: 5-9
> >> Sunday, September 2: 1-5 and 5-9
> >> Monday, September 3: 9-1 and 1-5
>
> ----

----

Back to top
Date: 7/14/18 6:12 pm
From: Mary Reese <00000248376651ee-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [mou-net] RFI - Visiting MSP July 25-30
We are Oregonians visiting family in Anoka, July 25-30.  Any birding ideas for day trips within about 100 miles of MSP?  Hotspots not to be missed?  Events?  Field trips?  Good place to see warblers?
Target birds:DickcisselE BluebirdE TowheeAm WoodcockBB CuckooYB CuckooWood thrushE Phoebe
Please reply privately to:Mary Reese & Jim <Allenuuspirit...>
Thank you!

----

Back to top

Date: 7/14/18 11:22 am
From: Bill Kahn <0000001191fb7131-dmarc-request...>
Two outta three ain’t bad and the shift comes with benefits that, dietary-wise, fits with the third usage.

Bill Kahn
Excrementarian from Minneapolis

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 14, 2018, at 12:56 PM, Jeffrey Saffle <Jeffrey.Saffle...> wrote:
>
> Do you mean “shift”?
>
> J Saffle
> Lake Elmo
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Jul 14, 2018, at 12:51 PM, kkelnberger <kkelnberger...> wrote:
>>
>> Volunteer at the fair for MOU. Sign up to work four hours at the MOU booth, get a free pass and enjoy fair food and sights before of after your shit ( or both before and after)
>> Email me, Kate Kelnberger: <kkelnberger...> with your preferences and I will sign you up. I have tickets ready to mail out to you!
>>

>> ONE VOLUNTEER NEEDED
>>
>> Thursday, August: 23 5-9
>> Friday, August 24: 5-9
>> Wednesday, August 29: 5-9
>> Thursday, August 30: 5-9
>> Monday, September 3: 5-9
>> Sign up for an evening shift, enjoy the fair, relax at the booth and enjoy the music then stay for the fire works. A perfect fair day!
>>
>> ONE VOLUNTEER is needed for Saturday, September 1 from 9-1
>> Enjoy the fair after 1:00 for free.
>>
>> These shifts need TWO VOLUNTEERS. Sign up with a friend!
>> Saturday, August 25, 5-9
>> Monday, August 27, 5-9
>> Friday, August 31, 1-5 and 5-9
>> Saturday, September 1: 5-9
>> Sunday, September 2: 1-5 and 5-9
>> Monday, September 3: 9-1 and 1-5

----

Back to top
Date: 7/14/18 10:56 am
From: Jeffrey Saffle <Jeffrey.Saffle...>
Do you mean “shift”?

J Saffle
Lake Elmo

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 14, 2018, at 12:51 PM, kkelnberger <kkelnberger...> wrote:
>
> Volunteer at the fair for MOU. Sign up to work four hours at the MOU booth, get a free pass and enjoy fair food and sights before of after your shit ( or both before and after)
> Email me, Kate Kelnberger: <kkelnberger...> with your preferences and I will sign you up. I have tickets ready to mail out to you!
>

> ONE VOLUNTEER NEEDED
>
> Thursday, August: 23 5-9
> Friday, August 24: 5-9
> Wednesday, August 29: 5-9
> Thursday, August 30: 5-9
> Monday, September 3: 5-9
> Sign up for an evening shift, enjoy the fair, relax at the booth and enjoy the music then stay for the fire works. A perfect fair day!
>
> ONE VOLUNTEER is needed for Saturday, September 1 from 9-1
> Enjoy the fair after 1:00 for free.
>
> These shifts need TWO VOLUNTEERS. Sign up with a friend!
> Saturday, August 25, 5-9
> Monday, August 27, 5-9
> Friday, August 31, 1-5 and 5-9
> Saturday, September 1: 5-9
> Sunday, September 2: 1-5 and 5-9
> Monday, September 3: 9-1 and 1-5
>
> ----

----

Back to top
Date: 7/13/18 7:48 pm
From: Nick Lethaby <nlethaby...>
Subject: [mou-net] birding MN in late October
All,

I am an out-of-state birder and will be presenting at a conference in
Minneapolis Oct 30-Nov 1. I have planned my flights to allow me to bird for
a couple of days before the conference and plan to go up to the Duluth
area. Although there are no "must get" birds for me, a quick look at ebird
suggested that the birding could be very interesting for me since I have
lived in southern California for almost 20 years. I have a few questions
about the birds up around Duluth:

1. It is apparent to me that many northern species (e.g. redpolls,
Snow Buntings, Pine Grosbeaks, Rusty Blackbirds, BB and 3T Woodpeckers,
etc.) are migrating through the lake shore area at this time. However, it
seems like that many of these records are flybys at Hawk Mountain and other
spots. While I am certainly keen to see this kind of migration, I was
wondering if there are good places to view these migrants while they are
feeding or resting when I could get good looks.

2. I will potentially want to spend some time looking for Spruce,
Ruffed, and Sharp-tailed Grouse. What is the effort level required to have
a reasonable chance of seeing any of these at this time of year?

3. Is there anywhere around Duluth or Minneapolis where Barred Owls
can be seen at daytime roosts or with a low level of owling effort?

Please reply off-list as I don’t want to clutter the archives with any
follow up discussions.

Thanks,

--
Nick Lethaby
Goleta, CA

<nlethaby...>
Mobile: 805 284 6200
Work: 805 562 5106

----

Back to top
Date: 7/13/18 2:09 pm
From: Jeanie Joppru <rba...>
Subject: [mou-net] [mou-rba] Northwest Minnesota Birding Report- Thursday, July 12, 2018 NO SPRAGUE'S PIPIT
I recently learned that there was no Sprague's Pipit, instead it turned out
to be a young horned lark.
Jeanie

-RBA
*Minnesota
*Detroit Lakes
*July 12, 2018
*MNDL1807.12

-Birds mentioned
* Horned Grebe
* Red-necked Grebe
* Cooper's Hawk
* Great Horned Owl
* Merlin
* Olive-sided Flycatcher
* Say's Phoebe
* Eastern Bluebird
* Gray Catbird
* Sprague's Pipit
* Purple Finch
* Yellow-breasted Chat
* Black-and-white Warbler
* American Redstart
* Yellow Warbler
* Chestnut-sided Warbler
* Pine Warbler
* Scarlet Tanager
* Northern Cardinal
-Transcript
Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: July 12, 2018
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 218-847-5743 or 218-847-9202
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru (<ajjoppru...>)
This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, July 12, 2018
sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You may also
see this report on the Chamber of Commerce website:
https://www.visitdetroitlakes.com/birding-report
Due to the very hot, humid weather throughout the state, few folks have sent
in reports the last couple of weeks. However, bird life seems to be very
busy none-the-less. The yards are teeming with young birds, and birding by
ear is becoming difficult because of the many young fledglings trying to
find their voices. Shorebirds are already on their way back south, but spots
to view them are hard to find. Recent rains have raised water levels
throughout the region and we may get some good habitat in the near future.
In Becker County, Suzanne Smith reported a YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT on July 7 at
Tamarac NWR. I have no knowledge of where the bird was seen, or if anyone
else has seen it. Also at Tamarac NWR, David Crow reported HOOEDED MERGANSER
, RED-NECKED GREBE, PINE WARBLER, , CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER, BLACK-AND-WHITE
WARBLER, YELLOW WARBLER, AMERICAN REDSTART, and PURPLE FINCH on June 29.
Alex Sundvall observed a SAY'S PHOEBE at Felton Prairie in Clay County on
June 24. A NORTHERN CARDINAL was seen in Moorhead on June 28 by Kathy
Bresee.
In Polk County, Heidi Hughes reported a HORNED GREBE at the Agassiz Valley
Impoundment on June 29. A COOPER'S HAWK was seen by Russ Wilbur on the East
Grand Forks bike path on June 27.
Here in Pennington County, I can report two families of EASTERN BLUEBIRDS
nesting in our yard. A pair of GRAY CATBIRDS raised their family here also.
A GREAT HORNED OWL was heard across the river from us on July 8, and several
times I have heard crows mobbing it.
From Agassiz NWR in Marshall County, Jim Hughes reported a SPRAGUE'S PIPIT
at the end of the Auto tour route on July 10. I have no other information on
that sighting.
Beth Siverhus observed MERLIN in Warroad, OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER, SCARLET
TANAGER, EASTERN BLUEBIRD and LE CONTE'S SPARROW in Roseau County the week
of June 28.
Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at <ajjoppru...> OR call the Detroit Lakes
Chamber's numbers 218-847-5743 or 218- 847-9202. Please include the county
where the sighting took place. The next scheduled update of this report is
Thursday, July 19, 2018.
Jeanie Joppru Pennington County, MN

----

Back to top
Date: 7/13/18 8:46 am
From: Larry Sirvio <lmsirvio...>
Subject: [mou-net] Goodhue Co Avocets
Goodhue County this morning. Kevin Smith found American Avocets and several other shorebirds. Location Goodhue County 18 south of Hastings. Coord: 44.673, -92.728. Flooded field next to highway.

----

Back to top
Date: 7/12/18 6:37 pm
From: Jeanie Joppru <ajjoppru...>
Subject: [mou-net] Northwest Minnesota Birding Report-Thursday, July 12, 2018
This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, July 12, 2018
[...]

From Agassiz NWR in Marshall County, Jim Hughes reported a SPRAGUE'S PIPIT
at the end of the Auto tour route on July 10. I have no other information on
that sighting.

Beth Siverhus observed MERLIN in Warroad, OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER, SCARLET
TANAGER, EASTERN BLUEBIRD and LE CONTE'S SPARROW in Roseau County the week
of June 28.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at <ajjoppru...> <mailto:<ajjoppru...>

Date: 7/7/18 4:49 pm
From: Laura Dekowski <ldekowski.ld...>
Subject: [mou-net] Wood Stork
At 9:45am today I saw a Wood Stork flying overhead. I was driving on
Bavaria Road in Chaska and noticed a couple on the walking path looking up
and shading their eyes so I looked thru my sunroof and saw a Wood Stork
flying overhead. I know Wood Storks. It was fairly low, I could see it's
wings and head clearly.

Laura Dekowski of Victoria, MN

----

Back to top
Date: 7/6/18 2:48 pm
From: David Cahlander <david...>
Subject: [mou-net] Photo Gallery and Audio Gallery
There was a problem with playing audio on the iPad and some other browsers.

The Photo Gallery and Audio gallery code has been re-written to resolve
these problems.  Other features have been added at the same time (since
I can't touch code without trying to make it 'better'.)

The Galleries are accessed from the main page by clicking on

    Galleries -> Photo Gallery - MN
    Galleries -> Photo Gallery - World
    Galleries -> Audio Gallery

Please let me know if you find any problems.

--
David Cahlander <david...> Burnsville MN 952-894-5910

----

Back to top
Date: 7/5/18 6:03 am
From: Susan Tertell <stertell...>
Subject: [mou-net] Question about fledgling barn swallows
A friend in South Dakota has barn swallows nesting under her eaves, and for
two years in a row the birds have returned to the nest after fledging.
This year, the birds fledged Tuesday morning and returned to the nest that
night, left again yesterday morning and then returned to the nest ahead of
the impending storms. This seems very unusual. Has anyone run into this
behavior with barn swallows or any other species? I have done some cursory
searching online and find nothing about this, and it seems very interesting.

Thanks.

Susan Tertell
Minneapolis

----

Back to top
Date: 7/2/18 1:36 pm
From: Jim & Charlene Nelson <birdnird57...>
Subject: Re: [mou-net] RFI Seward, Alaska pelagic trips
After an inland passage tour and train from Seward to Anchorage we rented a car and drove to Homer. Because every other boat company was shut down for bad weather, we hired a private taxi boat to take us to Gull Island in rain and wind for just couple hours to see Puffins and other nesting birds. Would highly recommend seeing the boat first before buying tickets. This was a tiny wood boat with nothing enclosed. We were very wet and cold, but we got very close to the birds. Thrilling in every way, white knuckles and all. Excellent woman captain kept us safe and knew the birds we were looking at.
Charlene Nelson
Grant County MN

----

Back to top
Date: 7/2/18 9:32 am
From: Steve Weston <sweston2g...>
I have been out twice both times, I believe, were with Kenai Fjord Tours
and both were the long trip. They were awesome.

The first (2005) was a strictly birding trip and when we got on we went
over our wish list with the skipper and he commented on the chances of
seeing the half dozen birds that we had. We had just been to Nome and
Gamble and the list was shortened by what we had seen. He was great on
pointing out birds, even going out of the way to get a better look at some.
There were some 30 people on the trip and only the 4 of us and another
couple were interested in the birds. Birds on the trip included:
White-winged Scoter, Sooty Sheerwater, 3 cormorants, including Red-faced,
Black Oystercatcher, Common Murre, Pigeon Guillemnt, Marbled Murrelet,
Rhinoceros Auklet, Horned & Tufted Puffins, Black-legged Kittiwake, and
Arctic Tern. The others saw the Kitzlitz, but I did not get a satisfactory
look. Most sightings were called out from the bridge.

The second trip (2014) was not at all a birding trip, but I saw most of the
same birds, missing the Oystercatcher and Red-faced Cormorant and adding
the Parakeet Auklet. The other bird that I added from shore was Cassin's
Auklet, which was not expected. I confirmed with a local expert that it was
quite an unusual sighting.

The trips were notable for the whales, seals, sea lions, and other mammals.

Steve Weston
On Quigley Lake in Eagan, MN
<sweston2...>

On Sun, Jul 1, 2018 at 6:51 PM, Karl Roe <karldroe...> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I will likely have a chance to do some birding in Seward, Alaska for one
> day later this month. I'm interested in information/advice/personal
> experience you might have with taking boat tours into Resurrection
> Bay/Kenai Fjords NP. There seems to be a lot of one-day tours available and
> I'm finding it hard to choose. If you have done a boat tour from Seward I'd
> like to hear about your experience. What was the tour company and how long
> was the trip? Time of year? Cost? Was the focus of the trip on birds or
> more general sight-seeing? Were there any guides aboard with knowledge of
> local pelagic bird species?
> Thanks in advance!
> -Karl Roe
> Minneapolis
>
> ----

----

Back to top
Date: 7/2/18 5:15 am
From: Joel and Lisa Swanstrom <jts57...>
Back in 2005, we stayed a few days at the Kenai River Lodge http://www.alaskabirdingtours.com . The owners were bird guides (and fishing guides). Ken Marlow guided on land and his son Neil operated their pelagic boat and guided me and my wife. They were very knowledgeable and we enjoyed our time with them. Not sure what a pelagic trip would cost since it was part of a total package. If that is peak fishing season, the boat will probably be booked. Just another option for you.

________________________________
Date: 7/1/18 6:20 pm
From: Ann Hobbs <hobbs_ann...>
> [...]

>> captain on my trip was an amazing source of information on the birds and
>> wildlife. Spend the money, you will not regret it.
>>
>> Florinus Kooyman
>>
>>> On Sun, Jul 1, 2018 at 6:51 PM Karl Roe <karldroe...> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> I will likely have a chance to do some birding in Seward, Alaska for one
>>> day later this month. I'm interested in information/advice/personal
>>> experience you might have with taking boat tours into Resurrection
>>> Bay/Kenai Fjords NP. There seems to be a lot of one-day tours available and
>>> I'm finding it hard to choose. If you have done a boat tour from Seward I'd
>>> like to hear about your experience. What was the tour company and how long
>>> was the trip? Time of year? Cost? Was the focus of the trip on birds or
>>> more general sight-seeing? Were there any guides aboard with knowledge of

----

Back to top
Date: 7/1/18 6:15 pm
From: Jason Caddy <j.caddy...>
Hi Karl (and anyone else who would like information about this),

I went on a Seward fjord tour on 6/9/12. We went to the Aialik Bay glacier and it was a long tour that was about $200.00 or a bit more. The trip was amazing and the tour leader was excited that we were birders and tried to get us the species that are special to the area.

There are some important things to know before you head out. The tour leader will probably not be a true birder and may misidentify birds. I was scanning like crazy for Thick-billed Murre and the leader knew I wanted this species so she took us to a rock wall and pointed one out. The problem was that the bird was just another Common Murre but I pretended to be excited so that she wouldnt be disappointed. She did get us great views of Parakeet Auklet. Along with studying Thick-billed Murre identification you need to really study the difference between Marbled and Kittlitzs Murrelet, study photos online, dont just rely on a field guide. You will have to sort through tons of Marbled to find a Kittlitzs and it is not a guarantee. The Kittlitzs will usually be near glaciers because that is where they nest. Thick-billed Murre is also not common in the Seward area in June so be really careful with this species, I missed it. The other tricky bird for the area is trying to identify a Short-tailed/ Sooty Shearwater. They are both common in the area but differentiating between the two is murder and if you arent very close you can pretty much forget about it. Study them online. (If you ever go on a west coast pelagic in the fall through spring keep in mind that the Sooty Shearwater wont land on the water for chum but the Short-tailed Shearwater will, a crazy and little known fact!)

There are also species that you need to go to Homer to get. There is a birder there named Karl that will take you out on a boat (find him online). He will focus on getting you Yellow-billed Loon but there are also Aleutian Terns and Red-faced Cormorant in the bay in Homer, neither of them are common in Homer but they are far less likely out of Seward. Differentiating between Red-faced and breeding Pelagic Cormorant is trickier than one would think, make sure to look for the blue at the base of the bill of the Red-faced, both will have very red faces and trying to differentiate the bulkiness of the neck and body of the Red-faced is difficult without a direct comparison.

I guess the point is that you need to know your stuff before you go because there are many pitfalls in identification despite low overall diversity. If you have any more questions let me know.

Jason Caddy

126 W. 43rd St.

Minneapolis

<j.caddy...>

________________________________
I will likely have a chance to do some birding in Seward, Alaska for one
day later this month. I'm interested in information/advice/personal
experience you might have with taking boat tours into Resurrection
Bay/Kenai Fjords NP. There seems to be a lot of one-day tours available and
I'm finding it hard to choose. If you have done a boat tour from Seward I'd
like to hear about your experience. What was the tour company and how long
was the trip? Time of year? Cost? Was the focus of the trip on birds or
more general sight-seeing? Were there any guides aboard with knowledge of
local pelagic bird species?
Thanks in advance!
-Karl Roe
Minneapolis

----
LISTSERV 16.0 - Login Required<http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=mou-net>
lists.umn.edu
If you are a University of Minnesota user, please enter your UMN.EDU email address (i.e. <InternetID...> - regardless of campus affiliation) and Internet password and click on the "Log In" button.

----

Back to top
Date: 7/1/18 5:54 pm
From: Eric Jeffrey <000000bbd9252660-dmarc-request...>
I also went with Kenai Fjord Tours. Time did not permit the 9 hour tour, but we took the longest trip we could and it was well worth it. Our crew was also very good about pointing out birds, and I agree it is worth letting them know your interest. They do have some birding-specific tours, or did, but I thought they were not often. You should also stop at exit glacier just outside Seward. If you are driving down from Juneau, it is a great drive.

Eric Jeffrey

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 1, 2018, at 8:32 PM, Florinus Kooyman <fkooyman...> wrote:
>
> I did a trip with Kenai Fjord Tours about four years ago, a 9-hour trip to
> the Northwestern Fjords. This trip will set you back at least $200 per
> person, but it is an experience you will never forget. The marine and bird
> wildlife is magnificent. I very much recommend that you take the longest
> tour, as I did, since it will take you to places that the shorter tours do
> not, and will likely give you lifers that you won't get elsewhere (I got a
> Kittlitz's murrelet at the furthest point of that tour, at a tidewater
> glacier). The scenery is amazing, even in cloudy weather. Probably most
> people on board will not be birders, so by all means tell the captain that
> you are a birder and ask him to point out the birds that he sees. The
> captain on my trip was an amazing source of information on the birds and
> wildlife. Spend the money, you will not regret it.
>
> Florinus Kooyman
>
>> On Sun, Jul 1, 2018 at 6:51 PM Karl Roe <karldroe...> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>> I will likely have a chance to do some birding in Seward, Alaska for one
>> day later this month. I'm interested in information/advice/personal
>> experience you might have with taking boat tours into Resurrection
>> Bay/Kenai Fjords NP. There seems to be a lot of one-day tours available and
>> I'm finding it hard to choose. If you have done a boat tour from Seward I'd
>> like to hear about your experience. What was the tour company and how long
>> was the trip? Time of year? Cost? Was the focus of the trip on birds or
>> more general sight-seeing? Were there any guides aboard with knowledge of
>> local pelagic bird species?
>> Thanks in advance!
>> -Karl Roe
>> Minneapolis
>>
>> ----
>> Archives: http://lists.umn.edu/archives/mou-net.html
>>

> ----

----

Back to top
Date: 7/1/18 5:32 pm
From: Florinus Kooyman <fkooyman...>
I did a trip with Kenai Fjord Tours about four years ago, a 9-hour trip to
the Northwestern Fjords. This trip will set you back at least $200 per
person, but it is an experience you will never forget. The marine and bird
wildlife is magnificent. I very much recommend that you take the longest
tour, as I did, since it will take you to places that the shorter tours do
not, and will likely give you lifers that you won't get elsewhere (I got a
Kittlitz's murrelet at the furthest point of that tour, at a tidewater
glacier). The scenery is amazing, even in cloudy weather. Probably most
people on board will not be birders, so by all means tell the captain that
you are a birder and ask him to point out the birds that he sees. The
captain on my trip was an amazing source of information on the birds and
wildlife. Spend the money, you will not regret it.

Florinus Kooyman

On Sun, Jul 1, 2018 at 6:51 PM Karl Roe <karldroe...> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I will likely have a chance to do some birding in Seward, Alaska for one
> day later this month. I'm interested in information/advice/personal
> experience you might have with taking boat tours into Resurrection
> Bay/Kenai Fjords NP. There seems to be a lot of one-day tours available and
> I'm finding it hard to choose. If you have done a boat tour from Seward I'd
> like to hear about your experience. What was the tour company and how long
> was the trip? Time of year? Cost? Was the focus of the trip on birds or
> more general sight-seeing? Were there any guides aboard with knowledge of
> local pelagic bird species?
> Thanks in advance!
> -Karl Roe
> Minneapolis
>
> ----

----

Back to top

Date: 6/30/18 6:37 pm
From: David Crow <dbcrow...>
Subject: [mou-net] Thanks for the Hospitality at Tamarac NWR
MN Birders-

One of the great things about birding is the generosity of the birding community, members of which are almost always quick to share their time, knowledge, wisdom, good humor (and spotting scopes!).

Special thanks to Steve Midthune for accompanying for a couple of hours yesterday at Tamarac NWR; Cleone Stewart for forwarding my email to some local birders; and Kelly Blackledge of the Tamarac NWR Visitors Center for forwarding a map and some recommendations.

Some of the birds we saw (or heard) were:

- pine warblers (lifer)

- a red-necked grebe (lifer)

- black terns (brief flyover heading away; also a lifer)

- hooded mergansers (looked like a female and two juveniles)

- chestnut-sided warblers

- a black-and-white warbler

- yellow warblers

- American redstarts

- common yellowthroats

- white-breasted nuthatch

- Eastern phoebe

- Eastern wood pewees

- purple finch (female at feeders)

- hairy woodpecker

plus the assorted Canada geese, red-winged blackbirds, common grackles, brown-headed cowbirds, robins, song sparrows, and chipping sparrows

In the spirit of reciprocity, if any of you find yourself in Mexico City, where I normally make my home (just in Minneapolis temporarily for work and going back in late July), please write me here and I'll be happy to show you around and hook you up with a surprisingly robust birding community there.

Best,

David

===============================

David Crow

Skype: dbcrow

Minneapolis, MN, USA

Personal Web site:

http://investigadores.cide.edu/crow/

UMN profile:

<https://cla.umn.edu/human-rights/news-events/news/paradox-mexico-professor-david-crow-university-minnesota>https://goo.gl/uQnXwb

----

Back to top
Date: 6/29/18 6:06 am
From: Monica Bryand <mjbryand...>
Subject: Re: [mou-net] Northwest Minnesota Birding Report- Thursday, June 21, 2018
These are some of the places we could maybe hit on the way there and back
this weekend :-)

Monica Bryand
651-246-5522
Monica Bryand Photography

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 8:40 PM, Jeanie Joppru <ajjoppru...> wrote:

> [...]
> GROUSE, RUFFED GROUSE, and RED CROSSBILLS. In the Palsburg burn area she
> found many INDIGO BUNTINGS, and EASTERN BLUEBIRDS. Other species tallied in
> that part of Roseau County included WESTERN MEADOWLARK, LE CONTE'S SPARROW,
> FIELD SPARROW, LINCOLN'S SPARROW, SCARLET TANAGER, and BLACK-THROATED GREEN
> WARBLER. CASPIAN TERNS were seen on Lake of the Woods; MARBLED GODWIT and
> a ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK were also seen in the county.
>
> The MOU weekend birding group were in Clearwater and Beltrami Counties last
> weekend. In Clearwater County at the rice paddies east of CR 5 they found
> two AMERICAN AVOCETS, 20 plus WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPERS, MARBLED GODWIT,
> WILSON'S PHALAROPES, and several AMERICAN BLACK DUCKS. At Upper Rice Lake
> 105 TRUMPETER SWANS and 69 RED-NECKED GREBES were counted.
>
> In Beltrami County, the MOU group found BLACK-BACKED WOODPECKER,
> CONNECTICUT
> WARBLER, OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER, YELLOW-BELLIED FLYCATCHER, and RED
> CROSSBILLS. Four DICKCISSELS were found along Sunnyside Road south of
> Power
> Dam Road.
>
> In Pennington County, Allyson Engelstad reported RED-TAILED HAWK, NORTHERN
> HARRIER, SANDHILL CRANES and EASTERN BLUEBIRDS. Today I noticed baby GRAY
> CATBIRDS, and CHIPPING SPARROWS begging in our yard.
>
> At the Agassiz Impoundment that straddles the Marshall- Polk County line on
> June 15, I found the CINNAMON TEAL previously reported to be still there
> hanging out with the BLUE-WINGED TEALS. Also there on the Marshall County
> side was a GREAT EGRET.
>
> On the Polk County side of the impoundment, along with the CINNAMON TEAL ,
> I heard many DICKCISSELS and BOBOLINKS in the field south of the
> impoundment, as well as many YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRDS along the water's
> edge. At least one pair of the many DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANTS appeared to
> be nesting in the dead trees in the impoundment. At Rydell NWR , also in
> Polk County, Allyson Engelstad found TRUMPETER SWANS with cygnets, a GREAT
> HORNED OWL, and PIED-BILLED GREBE among other species.
>
> At Felton Prairie, in Clay County, Kimberley Emerson and John Hockema
> discovered a SAY'S PHOEBE on June 16. It was hanging out on one of the
> buildings that can be seen from the road.
>
> Wayne Perala saw a BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON in Fergus Falls, Otter Tail
> County, on June 21.
>
> In Grant County, Wayne found LE CONTE'S SPARROW, DICKCISSELS, BOBOLINKS,
> WILSON'S PHALAROPES, AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVER, and GREAT EGRETS at the North
> Ottawa Impoundment on June 21. There were few shorebirds there today.
>
> Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
> Thursday each week, at <ajjoppru...> <mailto:<ajjoppru...>
> OR call the Detroit Lakes Chamber's numbers 218-847-5743 or 218- 847-9202.
> Please include the county where the sighting took place. The next scheduled
> update of this report is Thursday, June 28, 2018.

----

Back to top
Date: 6/26/18 11:39 am
From: MOU <mou...>
Subject: [mou-net]
(Posted by Britt Dalbec <bdclumbers...> via moumn.org)

Senior moment Sorry I submitted wrong ID on Hooded Merganser. I had it in my head right.
Typed it in wrong as "Common".

----

Back to top
Date: 6/25/18 9:23 am
From: Vic Lewis <azvegasvic...>
Subject: [mou-net] Birding SW Hennepin County
Great morning of birding at Flying Cloud Fields ,Purgatory Creek , and points in between included,
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Green Heron
Canada Goose
Wood Duck
Mallard
Cooper’s Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Bald Eagle
Killdeer
Ring-billed Gull
Mourning Dove
Rock Dove
Chimney Swift
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Eastern Phoebe
Eastern Kingbird
Blue jay
American Crow
N. Rough wing Swallows
Tree Swallow
Barn Swallow
Black-capped Chickadee
American Robin
EuropeanStarling
Cedar Waxwing
Northern Cardinal
Clay Colored Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Dicksissal
Redwing Blackbird
Common Grackle
House Finch
Blue Grosbeak
American Goldfinch
Thanks Roy Zimmerman for your expertise and Scope!
Vic Lewis

Sent from my iPhone
----

Back to top
Date: 6/25/18 9:08 am
From: Kim R Eckert <eckertkr...>
Subject: [mou-net] AOS / ABA checklist
The 2018 supplement of the American Ornitholological Society (formerly the American Ornithologists’ Union, or AOU) checklist has now been published. This year there are no lumps or splits affecting the checklists of Minnesota or the American Birding Association (ABA) area, and the only English name change is that Gray Jay is now Canada Jay (which is what this species used to be named until 1957). There are also some changes in scientific names and/or sequence involving some sparrows, woodpeckers, and hawks which affect the MN checklist.

Following is a link to the ABA blog that summarizes everything:

http://blog.aba.org/2018/06/aos2018.html <http://blog.aba.org/2018/06/aos2018.html>

Kim Eckert, Duluth
----

Back to top
Date: 6/25/18 7:51 am
From: linda whyte <0000004e7b0e779a-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: [mou-net] Birds under threat at Lone Lake Park,Minnetonka
I tried clicking on the links you sent, but
could not get access "due to a security code". As a St. Paul resident, I'm
not familiar with the area in question, but the plan you describe seems
like over-reach and probably negative impact on birds.
On Mon, Jun 25, 2018, 7:10 AM Devon Bowker <devonlbowker...> wrote:

> To whom it may concern:
>
> I am sending again because I wasn't certain I did it correctly the first
> time around.
>
> The Park Board Commission of the City of Minnetonka has released its
> mountain biking trail study and proposed plan which it has just recommended
> to be reviewed by City Council, which are in draft form. Here are links
> where you can view these two documents:
>
> Study: https://eminnetonka.com/images/recreation/DRAFT-
> Minnetonka%20Mountain%20Bike%20Study.pdf?utm_content=&utm_
> medium=email&utm_name=&utm_source=govdelivery&utm_term=
>
> Plan: https://eminnetonka.com/images/recreation/MTB%20trail%
> 20concept%20poster.pdf?utm_content=&utm_medium=email&utm_
> name=&utm_source=govdelivery&utm_term=
>
> There are over 99 species of bird which have been recorded in that park,
> including birds like Scarlet Tanagers. There is some concern, such as those
> stated by Conserve Lone Lake Park, over how these trails may impact the
> composition and abundance of bird species in the park. Specifically, there
> is research that shows MTB trails or any new trails which pass too close to
> nesting site may impede reproductive success and that certain species may
> leave the area entirely. I wanted to reach out to you to see if 1) you had
> any further available resources, and 2) if anyone there may be interested
> in helping to analyze what impacts the birds in the park may face if this
> plan is approved as is. It is a relatively small park with a plan to
> construct 4.7 miles of 1 to 2 foot wide trail with portions of trail as
> close as 25 feet together in some sections in a 146 acre park.
>
> Here are the 99 species recorded (the "over 99" part was what was said at
> the last public meeting.)
>
> https://eminnetonka.com/images/recreation/Mountain%
> 20Biking/FINAL%20Appendix%20E%20PB%20Packet.pdf
>

> Thank you for any help you can provide.
>

> --
> *Devon B*
> *Think Green*: Please consider the environment before printing P
>
> ----

----

Back to top
Date: 6/25/18 6:58 am
From: Vacek, Curt (DNR) <curt.vacek...>
Subject: [mou-net] Snowy Egrets - Big Stone County
There have been four snowy egrets showing up quite regularly in the Killen Moist Soil Unit on Lac Qui Parle WMA. Not confirmed, but they may be nesting with the other egrets/herons on Marsh Lake.

From Hwy 7 between Appleton and Correll, take 580th Ave South for 1.5 miles to WMA parking lot overlooking the moist soil units. From there, as long as the duck hunting season is not open (Killen is a waterfowl sanctuary - closed to all trespass during the duck season), you can proceed down the hill along the two-track that'll take you to a primitive boat landing on Marsh. The egrets have been using the SE cell (off to the east of the two track when you go down the hill). You can hike along the dikes, but you cannot leave the two track with a vehicle.

Curt Vacek

----

Back to top

Date: 6/24/18 9:43 pm
From: David Crow <dbcrow...>
Subject: [mou-net] Recommendations for Hubbard Co.?
Dear MN Birders-

I will be in the Detroit Lakes area this week and have about four hours to bird on the morning of Fri Jun 29. Any recommendations? I've heard that the Tamarac NWR is one of the premiere areas in the state. Any others near there? What are some local specialties I might look for?

Also, if anyone is up for joining me, I'd love the company (and the expertise, since I'm still fairly new to birding). If so, please respond to this e-mail.

Best,

David

===============================

Date: 6/24/18 8:46 am
From: Jason Frank <jmfrank84...>
Subject: [mou-net] Blue Grosbeaks - Big Stone
Blue Grosbeaks have returned to Big Stone NWR. Look/listen for them in
the parking lot near the train tracks/entry to the auto tour, and the
rocky field where they're grazing the goats.

--
Jason M. Frank
Founder and Vice President,

<jmfrank84...>
From the Lovely Land of Lac qui Parle
https://turnstonecreations.smugmug.com/

Sent from my invisible blue Homing Pigeon

----

Back to top
Date: 6/24/18 8:39 am
From: Steve Weston <sweston2g...>
Subject: Re: [mou-net] MRVAC Trumpeter Newsletter
This Thursday (6/28) join us for join us for a guided bird walk (5:30pm),
pot-luck picnic (6:15pm) and program (7pm) by Elena West on the Red-headed
Woodpecker study at Cedar Creek at the refuge. The event is free and open
to the public and will be held at the Minnesota River Valley Wildlife
Refuge visitor's center in Bloomington..

Steve Weston
On Quigley Lake in Eagan, MN
<sweston2...>

On Sun, Jun 24, 2018 at 10:34 AM, Steve Weston <sweston2g...> wrote:

> The July/August issue of the Minnesota River Valley Audubon Chapter's
> Trumpeter Newsletter is available now at http://mrvac.org/newsletter/
>
> This Thursday (6/28) join us for join us for a guided bird walk (5:30pm),
> pot-luck picnic (6:15pm) and program (7pm) by Elena West on the Red-headed
> Woodpecker study at Cedar Creek at the refuge.
>

> Steve Weston
> On Quigley Lake in Eagan, MN
> <sweston2...>

----

Back to top

Date: 6/24/18 6:49 am
From: linda whyte <0000004e7b0e779a-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [mou-net] Black-billed Cuckoo, Dakota; Common Gallinule, Loggerhead Shrike
Belated thanks to Shawn Conrad, and whoever alerted him, for passing along
the information that this bird had been seen at the 140th Street Marsh
yesterday morning. After Shawn departed, the bird began calling steadily. I
was able to locate it in the trees west of the fencing that lines the
driveway into the dump site. At first it was in a rather flat-topped elm,
(I think) right behind a new accumulation of rainwater on the north side of
the street. It then flew east, giving one brief view, through nearby trees
and over the fencing, to some trees on the other side of the dump driveway.
It was still calling when I left.
Also noted there: three young coots, losing their 'baby' colors, faint
calls from a Virginia Rail, numerous Dickcissels, and Clay-colored Sparrows.

The Gallinule at 180th St. Marsh had been very cooperative. Though not at
first visible, it finally revealed itself on the east edge of the west
pond, bathing vigorously, and preening. Likewise, the Loggerhead Shrike
was perched on the utility wire along Emery, on the drive from 180th to
140th, just south of 170th.
General birding having become a rarity for me these days, I had considered
it a good omen when I finally saw the Swainson's Hawk in the Dundas area.
It was on a utility wire, east of the exit from 35. Apparently, it was,
indeed my lucky day, adding 4 species to my year-list.
Thanks to all of you who share your sightings.

Linda Whyte
St. Paul

----

Back to top
Date: 6/22/18 7:52 pm
From: M Gonzalez <towhee...>
Subject: [mou-net] MN visit and thanks for the help
Greetings MN birders-

Just wanted to give a shout out to a couple individuals who helped make my MN visit memorable and productive.

First Bryan T. met me at Murphy-Hanrehan in Scott County on Saturday morning (6/16/18). It was very early in the morning. It was very stormy with high winds and a bunch of rain. Bryan toughed it out like a good MN native (though he isn't a native). We didn't see or hear my target birds in the inclement weather, but our outing reaffirmed my belief that Minnesotans are tough stock and genuinely great people.

In Nerstrand Big Woods SP, Rice County, I found my lifer Acadian Flycatcher on 6/15/18. I co-led a field trip with my college roommate in Nerstrand Big Woods when I was a Carleton student in 1983. He did the ecology and I covered the geology of this park for a classroom of fourth graders. We had a gas then. I had a gas 35 years later.

On 6/14/18 I visited Sax Zim Bog in St. Louis County. Peder S. was most generous in providing me with a detailed game plan so I could make the most of my one and only day in the North Woods. Between stops I listened to Bob Dylan (North Woods native) tracks to get into the mood. I fed mosquitoes and ticks during stops. I found a boat-load of Rose-breasted Grosbeaks (photographed), Golden-winged Warblers (lifers with photographs), Chestnut-sided Warblers (photographed), Ovenbirds (photographed), Mourning Warblers (photographed), Black-and-White Warblers, Blackburnian Warblers (lifers with photographs), Cape May Warblers (lifers), Le Conte's Sparrow, Bobolinks (photographed), gobs of Yellow-bellied Flycatchers (lifers), many Swamp Sparrows (with photographs), and a pair of Black-backed Woodpeckers.

I found 103 species in my limited time and know this was thanks to Bryan T. and Peder S. and recommendations from others on this list-serve. Thank you all for your generosity.

I did whiff on Prothonotary Warbler, Hooded Warbler and Cerulean Warbler. Guess I'll have to come back in another 5 years for my next college reunion to chase a few more birds on my wish list. Until 2023, good birding,

Mark

--
Mark Gonzalez
Bend, Oregon

----

Back to top
Date: 6/22/18 3:55 pm
From: Curt Rawn <catdad50...>
Subject: [mou-net] MOU's bird booth at the State Fair
Hey Birders,

The Minnesota State Fair will be running from August 23rd through Sept 3rd,
(Labor Day). Volunteering at the MOU bird booth is one of my favorite
things at the fair. I have done this for about six years and fill a couple
of shifts on different days. Most people want to ask about a yard bird, or
a bird they saw up at the cabin. You don't need to be an expert birder to
fill in a shift. "I don't know, let's look it up" is a perfectly acceptable
answer. Plus, you get a free ticket to the fair. You don't need to be a
member. Please, come to the fair and help spread the joy of birding.

Email Jen Vieth with your request at <Jennifer...>
or Kate Kelnberger at <kkelnberger...>
Right now the shifts are mostly open but here’s the detailed scoop:

August 23 AM shift is filled, open shifts at both 1-5 & 5-9

August 24 AM & MIDDAY shifts are filled, open 5-9

August 25 Open 9-1 and 5-9, MIDDAY shift filled

August 26 Midday and Evening

August 27 AM volunteer with Father Tom M., MIDDAY Filled, open 5-9

August 28 5-9, midday volunteer with Roy Z

August 29 AM & mid day filled, 5-9 volunteer with Holly A

August 30 Midday and evening

August 31 all open

September 1 all open

September 2 all open

September 3 all open

Thank you,

Curt Rawn

--
Curt Rawn

----

Back to top
Date: 6/22/18 9:52 am
From: Steve Weston <sweston2g...>
Subject: [mou-net] Thursday (6/28) MRVAC Program: Report on Red-Headed Woodpecker Study
*MRVAC Potluck & Red-Headed Woodpecker Presentation *

*Thursday, June 28, 5:30pm*

*Program is free and open to the public. Please join us for a guided bird
walk, a pot-luck picnic, and a great presentation.*

-

At 5:30pm MRVAC will sponsor a short guided bird walk.
-

Bring your binoculars – some loaner pairs will be available and there
should be a few spotting scopes there as well.
-

At 6:15pm we will have our annual pot-luck dinner.
-

Please bring some food to share and your own plate, utensils and glass
or cup as we are aiming for a waste-free evening.
-

MRVAC will supply drinks and cake.
-

At 7:00 pm we will move to the auditorium for the evening’s presentation
by Elena Wood, the lead scientist at the Red-headed Woodpecker study at
Cedar Creek, which is looking at nesting and migration of the woodpeckers.
-

The bird walk, potluck and talk are open to anyone – members, friends,
prospective members and fans of Red-headed Woodpeckers.

*Where*: Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center 3815
American Blvd E, Bloomington. Take Hwy 494 to 34th Ave. Go south to
American Blvd; turn left and go 2 blocks. Center will be on your right. Enter
through the door at the middle of the building.

Steve Weston
On Quigley Lake in Eagan, MN
<sweston2...>

Virus-free.
www.avg.com
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

----

Back to top

Date: 6/19/18 12:45 pm
From: Jim Williams <woodduck38...>
Subject: [mou-net] Yard lists
I am looking for stories of extreme efforts to add bird species to a yard list. Like the bird was visible only from the highest window in the house. This list for birds seen on or from a piece of property.

Jim Williams
birding blog at startribune/Wingnut
Earth always bats last.

----

Back to top
Date: 6/19/18 10:58 am
From: Jason Frank <jmfrank84...>
Subject: [mou-net] Mound Spring SNA Sharp Tailed Grouse Update
I'm happy to report that at least one of the Sharp-Tailed Grouse that
bred and nested at Mound Spring SNA is Yellow Medicine County has
successfully hatched a brood. They crossed the road as I was driving
by at 11:30 this morning.

There are also quite a few Hungarian Partridges there this year,
though I haven't seen any chicks yet.

A few days ago, I crossed paths with an Upland Sandpiper brood on
150th Ave about a mile west of CR 7 in Lac qui Parle County.

--
Jason M. Frank
Founder and Vice President,
Luddite Ornithologists League (LOL)

<jmfrank84...>
From the Lovely Land of Lac qui Parle

Date: 6/19/18 6:51 am
From: Alex <asgreenplanet4077...>
Subject: [mou-net] Common Gallinule in Pope County
This morning I observed and documented a male Common Gallinule in Pope County at Blue Mounds WPA. I found it at this pond and location:
(45.5160238,-95.4947831)
This individual was acting very different from the one I observed in Stevens County yesterday. While yesterday’s bird was fairly secretive and silent, this bird was vocalizing frequently and actively chasing away American Coots from its location.
This appears to be a second county record, with the only other record being Bob Janssen’s from 1971 on the border near Cyrus.
There isn’t a ton of vegetation at this pond, so if people go looking for it and it’s not readily making itself known, just wait a couple minutes and it will likely present itself.
Best viewing is on a hill northeast of the pinned location looking back on the shore it’s been visiting.
Rubber boots are recommended; access to the pond is a bit damp and the grass is fairly tall.

Best,
Alex Sundvall

Sent from my iPhone
----

Back to top
Date: 6/18/18 7:23 am
From: Steven & Cynthia Broste <frednbugs...>
Subject: Re: [mou-net] Common Gallinule Stevens County
Sorry wrong email

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 18, 2018, at 8:13 AM, Alex <asgreenplanet4077...> wrote:
>
> I am currently looking at a Common Gallinule at the Struck WPA in Stevens County. It is being seen at the pond at these coordinates.
> (45.7237311,-95.8973944)
> Best,
> Alex Sundvall
>
> Sent from my iPhone
> ----

----

Back to top
Date: 6/18/18 7:21 am
From: Steven & Cynthia Broste <frednbugs...>
Anyone is fine.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 18, 2018, at 8:13 AM, Alex <asgreenplanet4077...> wrote:
>
> I am currently looking at a Common Gallinule at the Struck WPA in Stevens County. It is being seen at the pond at these coordinates.
> (45.7237311,-95.8973944)
> Best,
> Alex Sundvall
>
> Sent from my iPhone