MOU-net
Received From Subject
11/29/23 11:16 am Steve Weston <sweston2g...> [mou-net] CBC - Can you help?
11/28/23 8:15 am Brad Snelling <brad.snelling...> [mou-net] Varied Thrush still present (Duluth)
11/27/23 11:50 am Steve Weston <sweston2g...> [mou-net] Intergrade Northern Flicker
11/27/23 10:55 am Brad Snelling <brad.snelling...> [mou-net] Varied Thrush in Duluth
11/26/23 5:02 pm Valerie Cunningham <writers2...> [mou-net] MOU Book Sale donation
11/25/23 2:24 pm MOU <mou...> [mou-net] Black Scoter behavior
11/22/23 6:48 am <mou...> [mou-net] moumn.org on DirectoryBump.com
11/20/23 3:10 pm Jason Frank <jmfrank84...> [mou-net] Ortonville CBC, Saturday Dec 16
11/20/23 9:58 am <mou...> [mou-net] Northern Goshawk changed to American Goshawk
11/19/23 9:09 pm Alex <asgreenplanet4077...> Re: [mou-net] Species name change
11/19/23 9:04 pm Gordon Andersson <gpandersson...> Re: [mou-net] Species name change
11/19/23 12:20 pm Jim Williams <woodduck38...> [mou-net] wood duck box
11/19/23 9:34 am David Cahlander <david...> [mou-net] Species name change
11/17/23 12:47 pm Tom Tustison <tomtustison...> Re: [mou-net] Summary: Anna's Hummingbird, Dakota Co. Eureka Twp. Left Nov 15
11/17/23 12:28 pm Trey Weaver <trweaver89...> [mou-net] Field trip opportunity: Owl Walk, Carver Park Reserve, Nov 18th, 8AM. Registration required.
11/17/23 10:55 am Thomas Gilde <00002247eb7407f6-dmarc-request...> Re: [mou-net] Summary: Anna's Hummingbird, Dakota Co. Eureka Twp. Left Nov 15
11/17/23 9:23 am Elizabeth Tiller (Beth) <beth87tiller...> [mou-net] Summary: Anna's Hummingbird, Dakota Co. Eureka Twp. Left Nov 15
11/14/23 2:53 pm C <empidonaxdvg...> [mou-net] RFI -- red crossbill feeding observations
11/13/23 8:43 am <jellisbird...> [mou-net] Anna’s Hummingbird
11/11/23 8:42 am Kim Eckert <eckertkr...> [mou-net] Bob Janssen
11/10/23 6:41 am Kriseichers <kriseichers...> [mou-net] November Western Suburbs Birds and Beer
11/10/23 5:40 am Anthony Hertzel <axhertzel...> [mou-net] Alcid
11/6/23 10:06 am Gordon Andersson <gpandersson...> [mou-net] the intelligence of Rock Pigeons
11/2/23 3:49 pm Jim Williams <woodduck38...> [mou-net] Janssen obit
11/2/23 3:09 pm Jim Williams <woodduck38...> [mou-net] My Star Tribune gift article for you: A Minnesota birding 'pioneer,' expert and author dies at 91
11/1/23 6:18 pm Kara Snow <000014e3e51d51c5-dmarc-request...> [mou-net] MOU Paper Session pre-registration now available
11/1/23 11:22 am Nancy Sundeen <grancy6724...> Re: [mou-net] Bob Janssen has died
11/1/23 10:36 am Gordon Andersson <gpandersson...> [mou-net] AOS to change many common bird names
11/1/23 7:22 am Anthony Smith <smithwndcrl...> [mou-net] Bob Janssen
10/31/23 5:58 pm JUDY CHUCKER <jchucker1...> Re: [mou-net] Fwd: Bob Janssen
10/31/23 12:46 pm lfritschel epuffin.net <lfritschel...> [mou-net] Bob Janssen
10/31/23 12:14 pm Kate Kelnberger <kkelnberger...> Re: [mou-net] Fwd: Bob Janssen
10/31/23 11:55 am Jim Williams <woodduck38...> [mou-net] Bob Janssen has died
10/31/23 11:53 am Paul Worwa <pworwa...> Re: [mou-net] Fwd: Bob Janssen
10/31/23 11:47 am Jeanie Joppru <jjoppru...> Re: [mou-net] Fwd: Bob Janssen
10/31/23 10:39 am Kim R Eckert <eckertkr...> [mou-net] Fwd: Bob Janssen

Back to top
Date: 11/29/23 11:16 am
From: Steve Weston <sweston2g...>
Subject: [mou-net] CBC - Can you help?
The 124th annual Christmas Bird Count is starting on December 14th in some
90 count circles around the state and we need volunteers in the vast
majority of these counts or we will have parts of these circles that will
not be adequately surveyed, or even surveyed at all. If you are new to
birding, lend us your fresh eyes and ears and we will pair you with an
experienced birder, who will welcome and guide you. And, it's free. New, or
not, to the area, you will discover new birding locales.
To find a circle near you go to https://moumn.org/cbc . For most circles
you can find who to contact and when the count will be held. If you live in
one of these circles and would prefer to sit by your window and count the
birds at your feeders, let the person in charge know and he will fill you
in on what to do.
Join us and be part of the 124th year of this Christmas Bird Count.
Questions, let me know.
Steve Weston
On Quigley Lake in Eagan, MN
<sweston2g...>

----
General information and guidelines for posting: https://moumn.org/listservice.html

During the pandemic, the MOU encourages you to stay safe, practice social distancing, and continue to bird responsibly.

Back to top
Date: 11/28/23 8:15 am
From: Brad Snelling <brad.snelling...>
Subject: [mou-net] Varied Thrush still present (Duluth)
Good morning, everyone,

I just heard from my colleague that the Varied Thrush at 5554 Howard Gnesen Road is still present this morning.

fyi,
Brad

----

Date: 11/27/23 11:50 am
From: Steve Weston <sweston2g...>
Subject: [mou-net] Intergrade Northern Flicker
We had an intergrade western red-shafted x eastern yellow-shafted Northern
Flicker today at the feeder. This is the equivalent of a hybrid between
species, except both forms of flickers are the same species. While I never
saw it fly, I assume it was a red shafted bird as I could see no hint of
yellow on the tail. There were only a few red feathers on the nape. The
face was gray and the malar strip was black and red. I will post some
pictures on eBird, although I don't know how much they show.

Steve Weston
On Quigley Lake in Eagan, MN
<sweston2g...>

----

Date: 11/27/23 10:55 am
From: Brad Snelling <brad.snelling...>
Subject: [mou-net] Varied Thrush in Duluth
Hi everyone,

A colleague in Duluth has reported a Varied Thrush in their yard this morning. Visitors are welcome at 5554 Howard Gnesen Road in case you'd like to see.

Brad Snelling

----

Date: 11/26/23 5:02 pm
From: Valerie Cunningham <writers2...>
Subject: [mou-net] MOU Book Sale donation
Hello,Folks:
I need to contact Alex Sundvall a.s.a.p. to see if it’s not too late
for someone from the annual book sale committee to come pick up a
stack of 50 or so books that I’d like to donate to the fundraising book sale.

Alex, can you or someone contact me soon, please?
Best,
Val Cunningham
St.Paul, Minnesota

----

Date: 11/25/23 2:24 pm
From: MOU <mou...>
Subject: [mou-net] Black Scoter behavior
(Posted by Janet C. Green <jgreen...> via moumn.org)

On November 23, 2023 at 8:30 am, I (John Green) observed from our front apartment
window, which is 80 feet from the the edge of Lake Superior, a small dark duck flying fast in a
straight line from NE to SW heading toward Canal Park in downtown Duluth. At 1/2 mile out,
it suddenly circled around and flew toward the lakeshore a bit northeast of Glensheen, where it
landed by a flock of 13 Canada Geese that were just offshore. It was much smaller then the
geese, of course, but it swam along with them for several minutes while I watched with a
telescope. The geese seemed to ignore it, but twice I noticed one on the geese making
unfriendly gestures toward it. It then swam a bit farther along the edge of the flock. After
about five minutes, the duck took off and was not seen again. The duck was all dark except
for a large whitish patch on the side of the head. Consulting Sibley, it was easily identified as
a Black Scoter. Jan Green, who keeps the list, said it was the hundred thirty-first species we
have seen from our apartment windows.

----

Date: 11/22/23 6:48 am
From: <mou...>
Subject: [mou-net] moumn.org on DirectoryBump.com
(Posted by <> via moumn.org)

Hi,

moumn.org is only listed in a 8/10,000+ Directories

We have a black friday deal going on at the moment to get your website listed in all 10k+ for $19.95

Visit us on DirectoryBump.com
----

Date: 11/20/23 3:10 pm
From: Jason Frank <jmfrank84...>
Subject: [mou-net] Ortonville CBC, Saturday Dec 16
The Ortonville area Christmas Bird Count will be held on Saturday, December
16.

Our circle includes Big Stone County, parts of Lac qui Parle County, and
Grant County, SD.

At the northern edge is the Meadowbrook unit of Big Stone Lake State Park,
and at the southern edge is the Big Stone National Wildlife Refuge auto
tour. In between them, you'll find Rough-Legged Hawks, Snow Buntings,
Northern Shrikes, resident Pileated Woodpeckers, and lots of Bald Eagles.

There are public water access points on both sides of Big Stone Lake, and
we also have the Big Stone City power plant and it's reservoirs (which will
be open). There could be as many as 2,000 waterfowl overwintering here. And
it's not just Mallards and Canada Geese... last year, there were Goldeneyes
and Redheads that spent most of the winter in the area.

There are American Goshawks that regularly spend the winter in the
immediate vicinity of the power plant.

There are two areas within our circle that consistently yield good views of
Short Eared Owls during winter. One is along the southern edge of the
Refuge, and the other (which I suspect is a winter roost, as there are
often several birds at a time) along Hwy 109 near Bailey's Bay on the SD
side of the lake.

We've had at least one Long-Eared Owl that spends the winter in the woods
along the river on the Refuge Auto Tour.

Finally, the situation with El Nino seems to be heating up to record
levels, so there is a higher likelihood of mild temps and less snow for the
area as we head into winter.

Counters plan on meeting at 1:00 at Lingonberry's Cafe in downtown
Ortonville to discuss morning findings.

I will be willing to guide any interested birders to one of our Short-Eared
Owl sites to see what appears around sunset.

If you're interested in participating, contact either myself or co-leader
of the count, Brandon Semel, at either of the addresses below:

<jmfrank84...>
<brandon_semel...>

We will divide the circle before the count and keep in touch with
interested parties via email.

Happy Holidays and Good Birding,

Jason Frank
Ortonville, MN

----

Date: 11/20/23 9:58 am
From: <mou...>
Subject: [mou-net] Northern Goshawk changed to American Goshawk
(Posted by David A. Cahlander <david...> via moumn.org)

The AOS has changed the name of the Goshawk by splitting the species between the American
an European continents.
----

Date: 11/19/23 9:09 pm
From: Alex <asgreenplanet4077...>
Subject: Re: [mou-net] Species name change
American Goshawk is AGOS
American Goldfinch is now AGOL to avoid confusion

Best,
Alex Sundvall

Sent from my iPhone

Date: 11/19/23 9:04 pm
From: Gordon Andersson <gpandersson...>

Date: 11/19/23 12:20 pm
From: Jim Williams <woodduck38...>
Subject: [mou-net] wood duck box
free. hard-shell bullet shape, top threaded for easy removal and cleaning. with pole.

Jim Williams
<woodduck38...>

Birding columnist, Minneapolis StarTribune

Everything’s fine until it’s not. And then everything goes to hell.
— Doug Erwin, paleobiologist, Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History

----

Date: 11/17/23 12:47 pm
From: Tom Tustison <tomtustison...>
Subject: Re: [mou-net] Summary: Anna's Hummingbird, Dakota Co. Eureka Twp. Left Nov 15

Beth,

On behalf of the MOU Records Committee,
I would like to compliment you on your extraordinarily detailed report of what transpired at your site. This is the best summary I have seen in my nearly 14 years as chairman of the Records Committee. You have made the committee work so much easier.

You are a model hostess to say the least. Thank you for a marvelous job of keeping everybody informed on what was going on. You delighted many birders and your hospitality was exemplary!

Thank you.

Tom Tustison

Sent from my iPhone

Date: 11/17/23 12:28 pm
From: Trey Weaver <trweaver89...>
Subject: [mou-net] Field trip opportunity: Owl Walk, Carver Park Reserve, Nov 18th, 8AM. Registration required.
Hello,

I'm throwing this together at the last minute, but for those interested, I will be leading a hike at Carver Park Reserve tomorrow morning, Nov 18th. Meeting time and place will be at the Grimm Farm Trailhead at 8AM.

https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0F48A9AC2FA5FFCE9-46253937-owlwalk#/

We will be in search of Long-Eared and Northern Saw-Whet owls in particular, but Barred and Great Horned are also possible. Registration is required via Signup Genius link below and we will be keeping the group rather small, limited to 5 participants.

Lake viewing conditions may be favorable with the forecast tomorrow, so after our hike and I may also head to Lake Waconia to scan for waterfowl, the group is welcome to join me.

Best,
Trey Weaver
MOU Field Trip Coordinator

----

Date: 11/17/23 10:55 am
From: Thomas Gilde <00002247eb7407f6-dmarc-request...>
Thanks very much, Beth, you were a gracious host! I'm glad to hear that it may be finally heading southward.

Tom Gilde

Date: 11/14/23 2:53 pm
From: C <empidonaxdvg...>
Subject: [mou-net] RFI -- red crossbill feeding observations
Hi all,

I’m writing to follow up on my previous requests for observations of
eastern red crossbills feeding on conifers. Given that Christmas Bird Count
season is rapidly approaching, I figured now would be a good time to remind
folks about the types of observations I’m collating as a part of a
multi-year project on crossbill feeding ecology. This is also an
interesting time of year from a crossbill foraging perspective, as this is
when crossbills begin shifting to feeding on conifers other than those they
were feeding on throughout the late summer and early fall.

I’m looking for audio recordings of crossbill calls from the eastern
US/Great Lakes with information on the conifers the birds are feeding on.
The recordings do not have to be made with any advanced equipment – most
phone recordings are sufficient. Pictures of the conifer cones are most
helpful. However, if you are comfortable with conifer identification, notes
on which conifers birds are feeding on are also valuable.

Based on contributions from several folks across the eastern US, I’ve
accumulated over 600 (!) records of eastern red crossbills and the conifers
they’re feeding on. If you’re interested, I’ve posted a little blurb on my
website (https://ckporter.weebly.com/eastern-red-crossbill-ecology.html)
illustrating and describing the preliminary data for type 12, the crossbill
I have the most data for and am most interested in for this project.

Although there are some intriguing patterns in the data so far, describing
the feeding ecology of type 12 and other eastern call types will require
*much* more data across many seasons and years. So, if you have crossbills
in your area, please consider uploading recordings and conifer information
to eBird. I’ve also created an iNaturalist project (link below) where
observations can be uploaded. If you don’t use eBird or iNaturalist, please
feel free to send me any observations directly.

Thanks a ton for considering my request. Please feel free to reach out with
any questions! Also, please pass this onto anyone you think might be
interested in participating.

Good birding,

Dr. Cody Porter

Ames, Iowa

*iNaturalist project link: *
https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/feeding-ecology-of-eastern-red-crossbills

*Project description link:*

Date: 11/13/23 8:43 am
From: <jellisbird...>
Subject: [mou-net] Anna’s Hummingbird
Still there this morning. John Ellis, Saint Paul

Sent from my iPhone

----

Date: 11/11/23 8:42 am
From: Kim Eckert <eckertkr...>
Subject: [mou-net] Bob Janssen
As previously posted, Bob Janssen recently died in late October, but there has been some uncertainty as to the date, time, and location of the memorial/funeral service. It will be held at Lakewood Cemetery in Mpls on Monday, November 13, at the “Historic Chapel” (aka the Memorial Chapel?), and it will start at 10:00 am. See:
https://www.lakewoodcemetery.org/service-result/406658/robert-janssen/

-Kim Eckert, Duluth
----

Date: 11/10/23 6:41 am
From: Kriseichers <kriseichers...>
Subject: [mou-net] November Western Suburbs Birds and Beer
Hello Birders!
Please join us Thursday, November 30th, for Western Suburbs Birds and Beer at The Choo Choo Restaurant in Loretto. Click on the link below to get to the menu and address.
http://www.choochooloretto.com/

If we have enough people, we will be meeting in the main dining room from 5:30-8:30. Otherwise, we will be meeting in the Caboose dining room. The staff will direct you where to go when you arrive.

We hope to see you and hear about your recent bird sightings!

Please RSVP to Kris Eichers at <kriseichers...> by Tuesday, November 28, if you plan to attend so I can give the restaurant a numbers estimate.
----

Date: 11/10/23 5:40 am
From: Anthony Hertzel <axhertzel...>
Subject: [mou-net] Alcid
There is what appears to be an Ancient Murrelet somewhere on the Mississippi River “a few miles north of the Iowa border," but I have nothing more specific. Two rather poor photos were obtained from a boat and they seem to eliminate other auks. I will post when (if) I learn more.

Anthony Hertzel
<axhertzel...>

----

Date: 11/6/23 10:06 am
From: Gordon Andersson <gpandersson...>
Subject: [mou-net] the intelligence of Rock Pigeons

<https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-asymmetric-brain/201907/the-sur
prising-neuroscience-pigeon-intelligence> The Surprising Neuroscience of
Pigeon Intelligence | Psychology Today

GAndersson

St Paul

----

Date: 11/2/23 3:49 pm
From: Jim Williams <woodduck38...>
Subject: [mou-net] Janssen obit
To avoid any confusion, I did not write the Bob Janssen obit. I simply forwarded it to the network. Staff writer Rachel Hutton wrote it, and did it very well.

Jim Williams
Birding columnist
Minneapolis StarTribune
startribune.com/variety/homeandgarden

----

Date: 11/2/23 3:09 pm
From: Jim Williams <woodduck38...>
Subject: [mou-net] My Star Tribune gift article for you: A Minnesota birding 'pioneer,' expert and author dies at 91
I want to share this article with you! Since I’m a subscriber to Star Tribune you can access this article in the next two weeks free of charge.

A Minnesota birding 'pioneer,' expert and author dies at 91
https://strib.gift/dht6bd5w4

Date: 11/1/23 6:18 pm
From: Kara Snow <000014e3e51d51c5-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [mou-net] MOU Paper Session pre-registration now available
Greetings MOU members and MOU-net subscribers,

Pre-registration for the 2023 MOU Paper Session is now available! The event
is being held on Saturday, December 2nd, at the North Star Ballroom of the
St. Paul Student Center on the University of Minnesota campus (2017 Buford
Avenue, St. Paul). Parking will be available in the Gortner Ramp parking
lot just east of the Student Center.

The theme of this year's Paper Session is "Minnesota's Grassland Birds: A
Fragile Community".

To register for the event use the following link:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2023-minnesota-ornithologists-union-paper-session-registration-742765300007?aff=oddtdtcreator

You can register by clicking the orange button that says "Reserve a Spot".
Then type in your name(s) and information and check the appropriate boxes
(and type in any additional donations or memberships if you are so
inclined). Lunch options are available from Colossal Café. When you are
happy with your choices, click the "Check Out" button towards the bottom
right and this will take you to the payment page.

The full program is available online and can be accessed from the
registration page by clicking the "Agenda" button. Also additional
information such as book sale information and parking location is available
through the "FAQ" link.

Pre-registration will close at 10 PM on November 28th.

*If you do not wish to pre-register online, you can still register on the
morning of the event for $11. Note, however, that catered lunch is not
available to those who do not pre-register.*

*We look forward to seeing you there and learning about this unique bird
community and ecosystem!*

*And Happy Birding,*

--
*Kara G. Snow, MSc.*
Minnesota Ornithologist's Union- Paper Session Committee

----

Date: 11/1/23 11:22 am
From: Nancy Sundeen <grancy6724...>
Subject: Re: [mou-net] Bob Janssen has died
Bob’s service is set for 9:30 Monday, Nov 13 at the Lakewood Chapel.

Sent from my iPhone

Date: 11/1/23 10:36 am
From: Gordon Andersson <gpandersson...>
Subject: [mou-net] AOS to change many common bird names
removing many eponymous names from past….

From the Washington Post:

Dozens of bird names honoring enslavers and racists will be changed

The American Ornithological Society says it will alter the names of North American birds named after humans, starting with up to 80 of them.

By Darryl Fears <https://www.washingtonpost.com/people/darryl-fears/?itid=ai_top_fearsd>

Updated November 1, 2023 at 9:52 a.m. EDT|Published November 1, 2023 at 9:00 a.m. EDT

Error! Filename not specified.

An Audubon shearwater, named for John James Audubon, one of America's most famous birders and an enslaver. After two years of discussion and debate, the nation’s premiere birding organization has decided that birds should not have human names.

The <https://americanornithology.org/> American Ornithological Society announced Wednesday that it will remove names given to North American birds in honor of people and replace them with monikers that better describe their plumage and other characteristics. The group said it will prioritize birds whose names trace to enslavers, white supremacists and robbers of Indigenous graves. Among them is one of the most famous birders in U.S. history, <https://www.audubon.org/content/john-james-audubon> John James Audubon.

“There is power in a name, and some English bird names have associations with the past that continue to be exclusionary and harmful today,” the society’s president, Colleen Handel, said in a statement. “We need a much more inclusive and engaging scientific process that focuses attention on the unique features and beauty of the birds themselves.”

Sometime next year, the society is expected to appoint a committee to explore up to 80 new names. The move, at an organization known for its reluctance to rename birds, was surprising even to the activists within the group <https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/interactive/2021/bird-names-racism-audubon/?itid=lk_inline_manual_8> who requested it after a White woman in Central Park falsely accused a Black birder of assault in 2020. In a racial reckoning that shook the field of ornithology, the activists, most of them White, argued that the names of some birds were offensive to people of color.

<https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/interactive/2021/bird-names-racism-audubon/?itid=lk_interstitial_manual_9> American birders have their own reckoning

“We have seen a lot of changes in our world in the recent past,” Sara Morris, the society’s president-elect, said in reference to racial justice protests the followed George Floyd’s murder by a Minneapolis police officer and the Central Park incident involving birder <https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2020/06/23/christian-cooper-central-park-birder-comics/?itid=lk_inline_manual_10> Christian Cooper.

Racial insensitivity in the overwhelmingly White field of ornithology and birding should be rejected, Morris said. Recent reports projected that North America has lost 3 billion birds in the last 50 years, and “we need to engage as many people as we can in the enjoyment, study and conservation of birds as we can,” said Morris. “We need to break down as many barriers to participation as we can.”

Not every birder in the 2,700-member society is expected to welcome the news. Some who’ve memorized names established for more than a century are likely to push back. “Are we expecting that people won’t agree with this decision — sure,” Morris said. “But we’re proud of this decision. As we talked to people, many of them changed their minds.”

Jordan Rutter, a birder who organized the petition with her fiancé, Gabriel Foley, said the society’s action left her speechless. “That’s everything we asked,” said Rutter, who co-founded the group <https://birdnamesforbirds.wordpress.com/historical-profiles/profiles-a-z/> Bird Names for Birds, which listed about a dozen men honored with bird names and described their racist pasts. “I never thought this would be happening. ... What an incredible moment for the birding community.”

For the time being, birders of color who spot the Townsend’s warbler and the Townsend’s solitaire might be startled by the history of its namesake, <https://matthewhalley.wordpress.com/2020/06/16/the-literal-skeletons-in-the-closet-of-american-ornithology/> John Kirk Townsend. His journals describe his collection of skulls, stolen from the graves of Native people in the 1800s, to promote his theory that they were racially inferior.

In North America, where Indigenous tribes in what are now the United States and Canada encountered and named wild birds centuries before the arrival of European settlers, “White people are credited for discovering [the birds]. White people were the ones to name the birds after other White people. And White people are still the folks that are perpetuating these names,” Rutter said <https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/interactive/2021/bird-names-racism-audubon/?itid=lk_inline_manual_19> in a 2021 interview with The Washington Post.

At least two chapters of the National Audubon Society voted to change their names and distance themselves from the enslaver who detested abolitionists and, by his own account, once guided a family of escapees back to their enslaver. The Audubon’s shearwater and Audubon’s oriole were named to honor him.

<https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2019/09/19/north-america-has-lost-billion-birds-years/?itid=lk_interstitial_manual_23> North America has lost 3 billion birds in 50 years

Black birders who trace the Bachman’s sparrow and Bachman’s warbler to the man they immortalized, <https://birdnamesforbirds.wordpress.com/historical-profiles/profiles-a-z/bachman-john/> John Bachman, might find this passage in one of his speeches: “That the Negro will remain as he is, unless his form is changed by an amalgamation, which ... is revolting to us. That his intellect ... is greatly inferior to that of the Caucasian, and that he is, therefore ... incapable of self-government. That he is thrown to our protection. That our defense of slavery is contained within the Holy scriptures.”

Two members of Bird Names for Birds, Jess McLaughlin and Alex Holt, confirmed this history in library archives and helped bring it to the ornithological society’s attention, Rutter said. “It wasn’t, ‘Take our word for it.’ The evidence was right there.”

The society and its predecessor, the American Ornithologists’ Union, have managed a list of English-language bird names in North America since 1886. They are used by schools, government, conservationists, birders and other groups, the statement said.

Erica Nol, co-chair of the society’s Ad Hoc Committee on English Bird Names, said members took the issue seriously from the day the committee was formed more than a year ago. Meeting every two weeks via Zoom, they came up with a priority list of names to consider changing.

At first, the diverse White, Black and Latino members failed to arrive at a consensus. In addition to North American birds, they mulled changing the names of South American birds but eventually decided that it was not their place.

Months later, the members came to the realization that all eponymous names were problematic. “They imply possession of a species,” Nol said. “They are overwhelmingly from a particular time and social fabric, they are almost all White men, few women, and women were almost all first names. Our main goal was to increase the birdwatching public."

The committee startled the society’s leadership with its recommendation to change all English bird names and at least two cultural names of birds that did not make sense. “The name should be descriptive of the bird,” Nol said.

Both Morris and Judith Scarl, the chief executive and executive director, agreed with Nol’s observation that the society’s leadership looked at them as though they were crazy. “There were hard questions about how we would justify this,” Nol said.

<https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2022/07/28/audubon-birds-enslaver-seattle-name-change/?itid=lk_interstitial_manual_38> The largest Audubon group yet is changing its name, rebuking an enslaver

“This is a historic, momentous decision,” said Scarl. “This is the way to go. We are going to work hard to bring people along to that understanding.”

Kenn Kaufman, a society member, started birding at age 6. “I was a little kid in South Bend, Indiana, and got interested in birds because they were there and they were fascinating,” he said. “Some of these bird names I’ve been using for a half century.”

Overall, Kaufman said, “I thought it was a mess to go in and change all these names.” But he started talking with people such as Rutter and Drew Lanham, a Black ornithologist and professor at Clemson University in South Carolina. “As the conversation went on I realized they were changing my mind. It’s amazing how more information can do that,” he said.

“I’m sure there are going to be objections,” Kaufman said. “I’m sure the term ‘woke’ will be used. I still don’t know what that means. I just hope they can come around to see this from the view of groups of people who may have been marginalized in the past.”

----

Date: 11/1/23 7:22 am
From: Anthony Smith <smithwndcrl...>
In addition to being a great and generous birder, Bob was a mainstay on the
MOU board. He was the institutional memory that every organization needs.

Tony Smith, Hennepin County

----

Date: 10/31/23 5:58 pm
From: JUDY CHUCKER <jchucker1...>
Subject: Re: [mou-net] Fwd: Bob Janssen
In recent years, I had the good fortune of bumping into him at my neighborhood Cub Foods; he and his wife had moved into one of the new condos in the Westend development in St. Louis Park. He told me he loved it there. Just this week I was thinking that it had been too long since I had seen him there, and sensed bad news.

He certainly gave so much to us.

Judy Chucker
St. Louis Park

> On 10/31/2023 2:13 PM CDT Kate Kelnberger <kkelnberger...> wrote:
>

> I began mourning for Bob when I learned his wife had died. I cherish the
> birding hours I spent with Bob on the North Shore and in South Dakota. He
> was a very kind man.
>
> On Tue, Oct 31, 2023 at 1:53 PM Paul Worwa <pworwa...>
> wrote:
>
> > I was fortunate enough to have had several visits from Bob to our
> > Chanhassen home in the last several years as he was targeting specific
> > birds for his Carver County lists, and I just loved the stories he told
> > about his past. The birding community has suffered a great loss.
> >
> > Paul Worwa
> > Chanhassen, MN

--Judy Chucker
"...The authors calculated that being around fourteen additional bird species provided as much satisfaction as earning an additional $150 a month."

----

Date: 10/31/23 12:46 pm
From: lfritschel epuffin.net <lfritschel...>
I hope that the Listserv will note any memorial service arrangements that might be open to the public. Linda Fritschel

----

Date: 10/31/23 12:14 pm
From: Kate Kelnberger <kkelnberger...>

Date: 10/31/23 11:53 am
From: Paul Worwa <pworwa...>

Date: 10/31/23 11:47 am
From: Jeanie Joppru <jjoppru...>
This is very sad news, but not unexpected. We have lost a great birderwho gave much to the birding community.
Jeanie

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN

Sent from my iPad

Date: 10/31/23 10:39 am
From: Kim R Eckert <eckertkr...>

From: Jim Williams <woodduck38...>
Date: October 31, 2023 at 12:34:35 PM CDT
To: Kim Eckert <eckertkr...>

Kim,
Bob died over the weekend, age 91, in hospice care for the past several months.
Jim

Jim Williams
Birding columnist, Minneapolis StarTribune

Everything’s fine until it’s not. And then everything goes to hell.
— Doug Erwin, paleobiologist, Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History

----
General information and guidelines for posting: https://moumn.org/listservice.html

During the pandemic, the MOU encourages you to stay safe, practice social distancing, and continue to bird responsibly.

Join us on Facebook!