MOU-net
Received From Subject
4/24/24 1:16 pm Jason Frank <jmfrank84...> Re: [mou-net] Garganey at Long Lake WPA, Cottonwood Co.
4/24/24 12:16 pm Jason Frank <jmfrank84...> [mou-net] Garganey at Long Lake WPA, Cottonwood Co.
4/24/24 8:16 am Anthony Smith <smithwndcrl...> [mou-net] Bob Holtz
4/23/24 11:49 am Dan Ahlman <daahlman...> Re: [mou-net] Bob Holtz Obit
4/23/24 10:28 am Michelle Terrell <mterrell.mou...> [mou-net] Bob Holtz Obit
4/23/24 8:13 am Susan Barnes Elliott <honeywarbler...> [mou-net] Join Bob Dunlap for Identification Challenge Potluck on May 2 at 7 p.m. via Zoom!
4/23/24 4:46 am Trey Weaver <trweaver89...> [mou-net] Salt Lake Weekend carpooling thread
4/22/24 5:27 am Tom Gilde <00002247eb7407f6-dmarc-request...> [mou-net] Shorebirds
4/21/24 10:50 pm Steve Weston <sweston2g...> [mou-net] MRVAC Meeting This Thursday 4-25
4/20/24 6:54 pm Kris Eichers <kriseichers...> [mou-net] April Western Suburbs Birds & Beer
4/20/24 5:29 am Sid Stivland <norlastiv...> [mou-net] another good birding day
4/16/24 10:53 am Gordon Andersson <gpandersson...> [mou-net] the book launch of "The Breeding Birds of Minnesota"--- Bell Museum
4/16/24 8:41 am linda whyte <0000004e7b0e779a-dmarc-request...> [mou-net] White-throated Sparrows, St. Paul
4/15/24 5:00 pm Jason Frank <jmfrank84...> [mou-net] Husdonian Godwit, Dunlin in Big Stone Co.
4/15/24 1:42 pm Susan Barnes Elliott <honeywarbler...> [mou-net] CNC’s Hastings Area Earth Day Birding Festival and Youth Birding Competition is this coming weekend!
4/15/24 5:58 am Jason Frank <jmfrank84...> [mou-net] Salt Lake Area Conditions Report
4/13/24 2:06 pm Trey Weaver <trweaver89...> [mou-net] Field Trip Opportunity: Rapids Lake and Louisville Swamp, April 21st
4/12/24 9:17 am Warren Woessner <WWoessner...> Re: [mou-net] Vesper Sparrows, Dakota C.
4/12/24 6:19 am Stephen Greenfield <tapaculo47...> [mou-net] Minnesota Global Birders, online: Northern Peru
4/12/24 5:18 am Keith Carlson <keithecarls...> [mou-net] Canada Geese Occupying Eagles Nest
4/11/24 2:59 pm linda whyte <0000004e7b0e779a-dmarc-request...> [mou-net] Vesper Sparrows, Dakota C.
4/10/24 9:03 am Gordon Andersson <gpandersson...> [mou-net] PBS: Nature:: "Raptors" tonight at 7:00pm
4/10/24 7:29 am Sid Stivland <norlastiv...> Re: [mou-net] Good birds
4/10/24 6:53 am Sid Stivland <norlastiv...> [mou-net] Good birds
4/9/24 12:03 pm Steve Weston <sweston2g...> [mou-net] Spring Arrivals in Eagan, Dakota Co.
4/9/24 11:57 am Halle O'Falvey <halleofalvey...> Re: [mou-net] spring arrivals, Lilydale, Dakota C
4/9/24 11:01 am linda whyte <0000004e7b0e779a-dmarc-request...> [mou-net] spring arrivals, Lilydale, Dakota C
4/7/24 11:06 am Steve Wilson <clevergrayjay...> [mou-net] Common Redpolls and Peanuts
4/5/24 7:22 pm Steve Weston <sweston2g...> [mou-net] Annual Crane Count: April 13
4/2/24 12:24 pm Gordon Andersson <gpandersson...> [mou-net] FW: A government proposal to kill a half-million owls sparks controversy | MPR News
4/1/24 11:36 am Gordon Andersson <gpandersson...> [mou-net] St Paul Audubon Society APR- MAY 2024 newsletter
3/30/24 8:50 am Dan Ahlman <daahlman...> [mou-net] Apology
3/30/24 8:44 am linda whyte <0000004e7b0e779a-dmarc-request...> Re: [mou-net] Yellow throated warbler
3/30/24 6:42 am Dan Ahlman <daahlman...> [mou-net] Yellow throated warbler

Back to top
Date: 4/24/24 1:16 pm
From: Jason Frank <jmfrank84...>
Subject: Re: [mou-net] Garganey at Long Lake WPA, Cottonwood Co.
UPDATE: I'm told by Brandon Semel that the bird is being reported on Discord.

What is Discord, you ask?

It is: "an instant messaging and VoIP social platform which allows
communication through voice calls, video calls, text messaging, and
media and files. Communication can be private or take place in virtual
communities called servers".

If anyone out there can get some more information, feel free to post
it here in this thread!

I would be open to caravanning down there during Salt Lake Weekend if
the bird is still present and being seen on Saturday.

On Wed, Apr 24, 2024 at 2:16 PM Jason Frank <jmfrank84...> wrote:

> I have a second-hand report of a Garganey at Long Lake WPA, near the
> small town of Westbrook, in Cottonwood County.
>
> This is a report coming from US F&WS Biologist Brandon Semel.
>
> I am not going to have time to drive down there and take a look this
> week, so I'm not fielding advice on how to find the bird, where to
> view, where to park, etc.
>
> Coordinates I've been given are:
>
> 43.9635603, -95.3770522
>
> If anyone who uses Facebook notices that there are sustained sightings
> of this bird leading up to the weekend, please keep me informed via
> email!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jason Frank
> Ortonville

----
General information and guidelines for posting: https://moumn.org/listservice.html

During the pandemic, the MOU encourages you to stay safe, practice social distancing, and continue to bird responsibly.

Back to top

Date: 4/24/24 8:16 am
From: Anthony Smith <smithwndcrl...>
Subject: [mou-net] Bob Holtz
In addition to all of the activities mentioned, Bob was an early chair of
the MOU Conservation Committee. He also arranged at least on trip to TCAAP
property. I remember he had a "self challenge" of consecutive days of
seeing an American Crow (?). I don't remember how many days the string
lasted.

I will fondly remember Bob and mourn his passing.

Tony Smith, Hennepin Cty.

----

Date: 4/23/24 11:49 am
From: Dan Ahlman <daahlman...>
Subject: Re: [mou-net] Bob Holtz Obit
Thanks Michelle for sending this out. Dr. Holtz was my advisor at CSP. I attended from 1981-85. He got me started with birding when I took his field biology class in 1983 and then a couple years later took his ornithology class. I’ve been a birder ever since. He was a wonderful teacher and advisor. He helped me get my degree. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.
Thanks again!
Dan Ahlman
New Hope, Mn

Sent from my iPhone

Date: 4/23/24 8:13 am
From: Susan Barnes Elliott <honeywarbler...>
Subject: [mou-net] Join Bob Dunlap for Identification Challenge Potluck on May 2 at 7 p.m. via Zoom!
Birding is easy…except when it’s not! Having trouble telling apart
flycatchers? Is that a female House Finch or a female Purple Finch at your
feeders? Uh oh, you’re looking at a dowitcher…in early May!

Fear not birders, Bob Dunlap is here to help! Fresh from the 2024 Spring
Primer, Bob is back as your host for a full hour of Identification
Challenge Potluck. Whether you just picked up binoculars for the first time
or finally found your 200th species in Norman County, there’s a place for
you at the table. BYOBC (bring your own birding challenge). Bob will use
online resources, including the Macauley Library, to compare and contrast
some of our trickiest species.

Go to Carpenter Nature Center's website to register online (under Plan Your
Visit, go to Program and Event Calendar for May 2). See you soon!

----

Date: 4/23/24 4:46 am
From: Trey Weaver <trweaver89...>
Subject: [mou-net] Salt Lake Weekend carpooling thread
Please do not reply all to this email! Reply only to <trweaver89...>

I wanted to start a conversation with participants of Salt Lake Weekend to encourage carpooling to the event. If you're interested in either hosting a ride, or hitching a ride, please send me an email and I will start a separate email thread in the next day with more details for those interested in coordinating ride sharing.

Even if you aren't interested in carpooling out to the event, it would be highly encouraged that participants be open to carpooling on the day of to help your guides with the logistics of leading a caravan of vehicles.

*Reminder, please do not reply all to this email! Reply only to <trweaver89...>

----

Date: 4/22/24 5:27 am
From: Tom Gilde <00002247eb7407f6-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [mou-net] Shorebirds
Does anyone have any thoughts about the absence/presence of shorebirds within, say, a 75-mile radius of the metro area this spring? It seems like they’ve been largely absent this year or I’ve slept through their various migrations. I don’t know whether drought and further environmental degradation alone explains this. Thanks for any insights.

Tom Gilde
----

Date: 4/21/24 10:50 pm
From: Steve Weston <sweston2g...>
Subject: [mou-net] MRVAC Meeting This Thursday 4-25
*The Minnesota River Valley Audubon Chapter (MRVAC) invites you to join us
for:*

*"Special Report on Ornithology Research atthe University of
Minnesota"Simone Maddox:Researcher and Ph.D. candidate in the Barker Lab at
UMN*

*David Wolfson:Wildlife ecologist and Ph.D. candidate in the Fieberg Lab at
UMNThursday, April 25, Reception at 7:00 p.m., Program at 7:30 p.m.*

We’ll get a look into some very interesting ornithological research at
the University of Minnesota (UMN) with two speakers. First, Simone Maddox
will speak about her research investigating the ways that city living
affects our local birds, especially their brains. Then, David Wolfson
will report on his research on the annual movement and migration patterns
of Trumpeter Swans in the Midwest.

This meeting will be held in-person at the refuge and simulcast via
Zoom*. * The
refuge visitor center is located at 3815 American Boulevard East in
Bloomington and is accessible after a short walk from the METRO blue line.
All MRVAC meetings are free and open to the public.

The meeting will be simulcast on Zoom beginning at 7:30 p.m. To join the
Zoom meeting click on this link:
https://us06web.zoom.us/j/85625706373?<pwd...>
Meeting ID: 856 2570 6373
Passcode: 112650
One tap mobile http://+16469313860,,85625706373#,,,,*112650#
<http://+16469313860,,85625706373/#,,,,*112650%23>

*Mark Your Calendars: The Hok-si-Lah Warbler Field Trip* will be
on Saturday, May 11, 7:30 a.m.
Join us for this traditional field trip that we’ve been taking for over 40
years! We never know what we will find. Meet Steve Weston at Hok-Si-La Park
(2500 U.S. Hwy 61, Lake City, MN), located just north of Lake City. Bring a
lunch if you want to stay for some afternoon birding. This trip requires
moderate effort, walking on mostly level trails. Free and open to the
public. No reservations.
*Copyright © 2024 Minnesota River Valley Audubon Chapter (MRVAC), All
rights reserved.*
Steve Weston
On Quigley Lake in Eagan, MN
<sweston2g...>

----

Date: 4/20/24 6:54 pm
From: Kris Eichers <kriseichers...>
Subject: [mou-net] April Western Suburbs Birds & Beer
Hello Birders!
Please join us Thursday, April 25 for Western Suburbs Birds and Beer at The Choo Choo Restaurant in Loretto. Click on the link below to get to the menu and address.
http://www.choochooloretto.com/

We will be meeting in the main dining room from 5:30-8:30.

We hope to see you and hear about your recent bird sightings!

Please RSVP to Kris Eichers at <kriseichers...> by Tuesday, April 23 if you plan to attend so I can give the restaurant a numbers estimate.

Happy Birding!
Kris Eichers

----

Date: 4/20/24 5:29 am
From: Sid Stivland <norlastiv...>
Subject: [mou-net] another good birding day
Another good birding day with the 3rd graders. Several kids who missed
birding outdoors last week due to holidays and time constraints wanted to
bird yesterday, even though it was 35 degrees outside. Couldn't talk them
out of it so, out we went, iPads in hand and Mr.Merlin listening. In spite
of a cold, 25 MPH NW wind we logged several species including
White-throated Sparrows, Chipping Sparrows, and a fly-over Wood Duck
besides the regulars. I didn't think they would last 10 minutes but they
hung in there for almost a half hour.

So it was back to birding inside through the classroom window. We had some
very cooperative White-throated Sparrows less than 10 feet away - birds
very smartly dressed in their finest attire. The kids birding at the other
classroom window came and fetched me for an ID. They had spotted an
Eastern Towhee (I suppose you could call it a "spotted" Towhee), a first
for our location in 5 years.

Sid Stivland
Plymouth, MN

----

Date: 4/16/24 10:53 am
From: Gordon Andersson <gpandersson...>
Subject: [mou-net] the book launch of "The Breeding Birds of Minnesota"--- Bell Museum
May 09, 2024 Thursday 6:00-8:30pm at the Bell Museum in St Paul.

From 2009 to 2013, volunteer observers conducted the first comprehensive
survey of breeding birds in MN. A nine-square-mile block in every township
was sampled by birders who ranked four categories of evidence of behavior.
Some of you may have participated in documenting breeding behavior in one or
more "blocks" that covered the entire state. Two of the scientists who
coordinated this massive project will present the study. You can register
for the event in the link provided.

About The Breeding Birds of Minnesota
A University of Minnesota Press publication by Lee A. Pfannmuller , Gerald
J. Niemi, and Janet C. Green, 2024.
The first comprehensive and in-depth assessment of Minnesota's breeding
birds in nearly a century,
<https://www.upress.umn.edu/book-division/books/the-breeding-birds-of-minnes
ota> The Breeding Birds of Minnesota offers an unprecedented,
extraordinarily detailed, finely illustrated account of 250 of those birds,
including their historical and present breeding distribution, habitat,
population abundance, and prospects for the future.

<https://www.bellmuseum.umn.edu/event/the-breeding-birds-of-minnesota-book-l
aunch-and-talk-about-the-new-atlas-of-minnesotas-breeding-bird-diversity/>
The Breeding Birds of Minnesota: Book launch and talk about the new atlas of
Minnesota's breeding bird diversity - Bell Museum (umn.edu)

GAndersson

St Paul

----

Date: 4/16/24 8:41 am
From: linda whyte <0000004e7b0e779a-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [mou-net] White-throated Sparrows, St. Paul
Several White-throated Sparrows blew, (probably literally), into our yard
this morning, a worthy distraction from breakfast preparations. They're
sharing ground space with our current Juncos, who are fewer in number of
late, and granting lovely looks at their bright crown stripes and yellow
lores.
Linda Whyte

----

Date: 4/15/24 5:00 pm
From: Jason Frank <jmfrank84...>
Subject: [mou-net] Husdonian Godwit, Dunlin in Big Stone Co.
I'm passing this along from Douglas Pierzina via eBird...

As of this morning:
2 Hudsonian Godwits, 5 Dunlin, 6 Baird's Sandpipers, 1 Lesser
Yellowlegs among many other waterfowl at Lane WPA in Big Stone County.

At the crossroads of Big Stone CR 5 and CR 7.
2 miles due south of the tiny town of Barry.

Jason Frank
Ortonville

----

Date: 4/15/24 1:42 pm
From: Susan Barnes Elliott <honeywarbler...>
Subject: [mou-net] CNC’s Hastings Area Earth Day Birding Festival and Youth Birding Competition is this coming weekend!
Looking for birding adventures this weekend? Check out the MOU sponsored Carpenter Nature Center’s Birding Festival and Youth Birding Competition!

Saturday, April 20
7 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Carpenter Nature Center - Minnesota Campus

Join fellow bird enthusiasts for a day of bird banding demonstrations, guided birding field trips, a kids “Build-a-Bird Feeder” workshop, live raptor presentations, and more. Keynote speaker will be Patty Mueller from Tropical Wings, presenting “There are No Borders Beneath Their Wings”.

Field trips include:
Learning to Bird with Accessibility - at Carpenter Nature Center
Get to Know the Prescott Area Birding Locations - at Pt. Douglas / Freedom Park
Exploring the Largest North American Flyway - at Mississippi River Flats
Early Spring Songbird Migrants - at Afton State Park
Waterfowl & Shorebirds - at Lake Byllesby/GWIP
St. Croix Valley Gem w/ Prairie & Forest Birds - at CNC Wisconsin Campus
Natural Wetland Migrant Stopover - 180th Street Marsh

Event fee: $5 per person or $15 with boxed lunch (advanced registration by April 17 required for a boxed lunch).

Youth Birding Competition details are on Carpenter Nature Center’s website!

Sent from my iPhone
----

Date: 4/15/24 5:58 am
From: Jason Frank <jmfrank84...>
Subject: [mou-net] Salt Lake Area Conditions Report
Hello Birders,

Water is high in the Salt Lake birding area. Larger wetlands and the
Minnesota River are particularly full. We are forecast to receive over
1 inch of rain in the next 24 hours, so mudflats will be very few and
far between this year.

Leaves are also budding early. Swallows, Martins, and large
Dragonflies have appeared in the area, and bug splatter showed up very
thick on my windshield this weekend.

Yellow-rumped Warblers, Kinglets, and various other small Passerines
are moving through as well. Yellow-rumps are being seen hawking
insects in cattail stands.

Large flocks of Green-winged Teal are showing up now, and there are
still good numbers of ducks in the area, especially in Big Stone NWR
and Salt Lake. Canvasbacks, Gadwalls, Shovelers, Buffleheads,
Redheads, and Hooded Mergansers were very abundant this past weekend.
The Emily Creek delta area, at the west end of Lac qui Parle Lake at
Hwy 40, is looking like it'll be a productive backwater for
shorebirds.

I still haven't seen any decent-sized flocks of shorebirds in Lac qui
Parle, Big Stone, Swift, or Yellow Medicine Counties yet.

I have, however, been dropping GPS pins at productive-looking fields
and pastures with standing water in them, and will share a digital map
of these coordinates with our guides.

Finally, please be sure to RSVP for the dinner at Sons of Norway Lodge
on Saturday night at 7:00, if you're interested. Advance registration
is $15 per plate, and pre-payment by check or cash can be sent to
Bernice at the following address:

Bernice Oellien
2570 280th St
Madison MN 56256
<oelmal...>
(507) 829-0676

Full info for the Salt Lake Birding Weekend can be found here:

https://moumn.org/saltlake/

Jason Frank
Ortonville MN

----

Date: 4/13/24 2:06 pm
From: Trey Weaver <trweaver89...>
Subject: [mou-net] Field Trip Opportunity: Rapids Lake and Louisville Swamp, April 21st
Hello,

You're invited to join us on a field trip, held on Sunday, April 21st to Rapids Lake and Louisville Swamp. We will start bright and early at 6:30AM in Carver County at the Rapids Lake Visitor Center for a hike through the hardwood forests along the Minnesota River. The group will then visit the upland sites nearby for grassland species (prescribed burn preformed in the Summer/Fall of 2023, possibly attracting longspurs). After an intermission, the group will reconnect at the Louisville Swamp trailhead across the Scott County side of the river. If this is an especially good day for migrants, we may stop at other sites, which are to be decided. This trip is limited to 7 participants, there are 4 open slots available. Please visit the registration link<https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0F48A9AC2FA5FFCE9-carvery#/> for more info and to sign up: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0F48A9AC2FA5FFCE9-carvery#/

Best,
Trey Weaver
MOU Field Trip Coordinator

----

Date: 4/12/24 9:17 am
From: Warren Woessner <WWoessner...>
Subject: Re: [mou-net] Vesper Sparrows, Dakota C.
Clay colored sparrows have nested in this area for some years.
Warren

Warren D. Woessner
Partner
Schwegman Lundberg & Woessner
121 South 8th St., Suite 1600, Minneapolis, MN 55402
Office: 612-961-1457
Fax: 612-339-3061
<wwoessner...>
http://www.slwip.com

This electronic transmission from Schwegman Lundberg & Woessner, P.A. contains information which is confidential and/or privileged. The information is intended for use only by the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient (or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this information to the intended recipient), you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is prohibited. If you have received this information in error, please notify us immediately by telephone at: Austin 512-628-9320; Minneapolis 612-373-6900; San Jose 408-278-4040 or by electronic mail and delete all copies of the transmission. Thank you.

Date: 4/12/24 6:19 am
From: Stephen Greenfield <tapaculo47...>
Subject: [mou-net] Minnesota Global Birders, online: Northern Peru
The upcoming virtual meeting of the informal "Minnesota global birders"
group will feature a presentation by Lee Ann Landstrom on a birding trip to
northern Peru. The environment varies from dry woodlands on the coast to
humid foothills and cloud forest, with a matching diversity and abundance
in the birdlife.

Tuesday. April 23rd, from 7 to 9 pm CT.

You can get more information and register for the presentation with
Eventbrite at one of the links below.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/birding-northern-peru-tickets-854155992567

or

tinyurl.com/globalbirding66

After you register, you will receive instructions on how to connect to the
Zoom session, and reminder emails afterwards.

Stephen Greenfield
Minneapolis
<tapaculo47...>

----

Date: 4/12/24 5:18 am
From: Keith Carlson <keithecarls...>
Subject: [mou-net] Canada Geese Occupying Eagles Nest
On the west side of Lady Slipper Park in Roseville on South Owasso Blvd.
approximately two blocks west of Rice St., we have been observing one or
frequently two Canada Geese occupying an eagles nest. Last winter -
2022/23 - we had observed, a pair of Bald Eagles attempt to nest there but
they abandoned after a late February/early March rain. Geese were
subsequently on it a few times . This year we saw eagles on it a few
isolated times but no apparent attempt to nest. This time the geese are
almost certainly nesting on it because it seems to be occupied full time
for at least a week now . If only one goose is on the nest, she? cannot
always be seen because she? rests her head back on her body preventing
viewing because of the height of the nest's edges.

Is this unusual? It's hard to imagine the geese raising their young there
since the goslings cannot fly for two to three months but usually leave
the nest 1-2 days after hatching to swim and walk. Can they possibly
survive a fall of 40 to 50 feet ala Wood Ducklings?

Keith Carlson
<keithecarls...>

----

Date: 4/10/24 9:03 am
From: Gordon Andersson <gpandersson...>
Subject: [mou-net] PBS: Nature:: "Raptors" tonight at 7:00pm
MOU list readers and bird lovers

PBS has produced a two hour series on Raptors. Part 1 will broadcast
tonight 7:00 - 8:00 in the metro area. The ad clips appear to show species
from all families of birds of prey. The show will repeat on Sunday night
APR 14 at 7:00pm. Part II will show Weds APR 17, rebroadcast on Sunday APR
21--- all at 7:00pm.

GAndersson

St Paul

----

Date: 4/10/24 7:29 am
From: Sid Stivland <norlastiv...>
Subject: Re: [mou-net] Good birds
This was in Central Plymouth - about half a mile NW of Plymouth City Center.

----

Date: 4/9/24 12:03 pm
From: Steve Weston <sweston2g...>
Subject: [mou-net] Spring Arrivals in Eagan, Dakota Co.
FOY arrivals include a Yellow-rumped Warbler today, an Osprey and Song
Sparrow (for the yard) yesterday, and an Eastern Phoebe last Thursday.
Steve Weston
On Quigley Lake in Eagan, MN
<sweston2g...>

----

Date: 4/9/24 11:57 am
From: Halle O'Falvey <halleofalvey...>
Subject: Re: [mou-net] spring arrivals, Lilydale, Dakota C
Awesome

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Date: 4/7/24 11:06 am
From: Steve Wilson <clevergrayjay...>
Subject: [mou-net] Common Redpolls and Peanuts
Common redpolls finally came into feeders here in the NE several weeks ago,
and at our feeders in Isabella have been inhaling peanuts. I first noticed
this in Tower two years ago. Oddly, when I inquired about this on Ely Field
Naturalists, two well-established feeding stations reported the same, while
two others, further west, reported they werent touching them. That raises
the possibility that this is an individual flock behavior, and even the
possibility of social contagion of a learned behavior, la Englands great
tits. The sample size is far too small to draw that conclusion, so Im
hoping others will share their observations one way or the other with me. It
would also be helpful to know your general location, how many years youve
been putting out peanuts, and to the best of your recollection, when they
started eating them, if they are.

Much appreciated!

----

Date: 4/5/24 7:22 pm
From: Steve Weston <sweston2g...>
Subject: [mou-net] Annual Crane Count: April 13
The International Crane Foundation Annual Crane Count will take place early
in the morning on Saturday, April 13. Join us. It could be as easy as
stepping out on your porch with a cup of coffee and listening for the
cranes you have been hearing. If you know where to find some cranes, we
could probably use your help. Or, contact us and we can put you in touch
with the coordinator in your county and find a place to count. I am
coordinating Dakota, Goodhue, and Scott counties and am looking for someone
to count cranes at Louisville Swamp and the Cannon River bottoms near Red
Wing.

For more information check out - /
https://savingcranes.org/learn/annual-midwest-crane-count/county-coordinator-resources/
or
send me questions. Don't know anything about cranes? Go to the website and
very quickly you will learn what you need to participate.

Steve Weston
On Quigley Lake in Eagan, MN
<sweston2g...>

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

----

Date: 4/2/24 12:24 pm
From: Gordon Andersson <gpandersson...>
Subject: [mou-net] FW: A government proposal to kill a half-million owls sparks controversy | MPR News
Northern Spotted Owl and California Spotted Owl vs. Barred Owl

Date: April 2, 2024 at 1:08:39 PM CDT

https://www.npr.org/2024/04/01/1241874707/california-spotted-owl-barred-owl-usfws

----

Date: 4/1/24 11:36 am
From: Gordon Andersson <gpandersson...>
Subject: [mou-net] St Paul Audubon Society APR- MAY 2024 newsletter
monthly programs, field trips, Warbler Weekend, conservation news,
celebrations, Birds and Beer, etc

<https://saintpaulaudubon.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/03/Cardinal202404-2024
0327.pdf> Cardinal202404-20240327.pdf (saintpaulaudubon.org)

------------------------

Gordon Andersson

St Paul

----

Date: 3/30/24 8:50 am
From: Dan Ahlman <daahlman...>
Subject: [mou-net] Apology
Good morning
I want to apologize for my earlier email. I entered the siting on the wrong date and didn’t know the correct email to respond to. I now have that and will politely use it if needed. I’ll also make sure I’m more accurate with my entries.
Dan Ahlman

Sent from my iPhone
----

Date: 3/30/24 8:44 am
From: linda whyte <0000004e7b0e779a-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: [mou-net] Yellow throated warbler
Peace, Dan,

Once others have reported it, and perhaps documented with photos, the
listing may be corrected. Unless there's something at stake riding on your
list, patience may do the trick, though this non-lister wouldn't know the
protocol for corrections.

Meanwhile, enjoy the fact that the bird has survived and given you the
pleasure of seeing it. In this climate-change weather, many birds may do
unexpected things in the face of changing conditions. Indeed, they likely
always have, but now more folks are out there observing it.

As someone once said, "the birds don't read the books", or maps, or lists
for that matter. They do what they must to survive, and we need to support
that however we can.

Linda Whyte

Date: 3/30/24 6:42 am
From: Dan Ahlman <daahlman...>
Subject: [mou-net] Yellow throated warbler
Good morning
I’m emailing because of the stupidity of the board on the yellow throated warbler reported 5/27/23. This should not have been removed from my list!!!!!! This was seen on an MBW trip with Kim Eckert . He was standing right with us and pointed it out to all of us!! Please make sure my re entry of this this siting this morning is accepted!
Thanks!
Dan Ahlman

Sent from my iPhone
----
General information and guidelines for posting: https://moumn.org/listservice.html

During the pandemic, the MOU encourages you to stay safe, practice social distancing, and continue to bird responsibly.

Join us on Facebook!