AZNMBirds
Received From Subject
4/25/24 10:37 am henry detwiler <henry_detwiler...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]SWAZ: Yuma County
4/25/24 8:18 am Doug Jenness <dougjenness...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]'Arizona Birds'--May species of the month and In Memoriam to Walter Thurber
4/24/24 7:07 pm Richard Bansberg <rbansberg...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]San Pedro House Bird Walk and "BIRDING CHALLENGE"
4/24/24 6:35 pm John Williams <john...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]Zero Shovelers at Arthur Pack
4/24/24 4:11 pm Olga Harbour <oharbour...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]SE AZ Patagonia-Sonoita Creek Preserve Empid and others
4/22/24 2:20 pm henry detwiler <henry_detwiler...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]SWAZ & SEAZ: Yuma County & Mt. Lemmon
4/22/24 1:30 pm Uwviper <uwviper...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]SEAZ Graham County: Howard Well KENTUCKY and TENNESSEE WARBLERS
4/21/24 7:21 pm Erika Wilson <terika88...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]SEAZ: Sierra Vista EOP--21 Apr 2024
4/21/24 5:33 am Steven Tracey <straceyflash...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]SEAZ: NO SIGHTING - Birding Event along the San Pedro this Saturday
4/20/24 7:45 pm Deanna Mac Phail <deanna.macphail...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]Red Tailed Hawks
4/19/24 2:51 pm Andrew Core <tucsonrba...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]RBA Tucson, AZ - 19 April 2024
4/19/24 12:44 pm John Williams <john...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]Crossroads at Silverbelle
4/18/24 4:01 pm Theresa Lawson <tmlawson1...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]SEAZ: San Pedro House birding walk April 17
4/18/24 2:51 pm Olga Harbour <oharbour...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]SE AZ Mt. Lemmon/Control Rd.
4/18/24 12:51 pm Deanna Mac Phail <deanna.macphail...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]FOS
4/17/24 8:12 pm John Williams <john...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]Brown-crested
4/17/24 9:43 am Doug Jenness <dougjenness...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]Global Big Day spring migration count, May 11
4/17/24 5:48 am Mark Stevenson <drbrdr99...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]Take the survey on Arizona's 2025 Trail Plan
4/16/24 10:47 am Doug Jenness <dougjenness...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]'Arizona Birds' --new article on Blue-black Grassquit
4/14/24 9:11 pm Rosie Watts <pinyonjay...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]Inca Dove in Tucson
4/14/24 12:13 pm <dpsiminski...> [AZNMbirds] Sierra Vista EOP Birding Walk
4/12/24 7:28 pm Andrew Core <tucsonrba...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]RBA Tucson, AZ - 12 April 2024
4/12/24 7:18 pm John Williams <john...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]Arthur Pack Park, NW Tucson, Sparrows and Towhees
4/12/24 6:37 am Tom Arny <tarny...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]Calliope Hummingbird Flux Canyon, Patagonia, AZ
4/11/24 7:33 pm Olga Harbour <oharbour...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]SEAZ Santa Cruz River/Clark Crossing
4/10/24 1:42 pm <dpsiminski...> [AZNMbirds] San Pedro House Birding Walk
4/10/24 8:47 am p c <pcollinsca48...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]SEAZ: Tubac Hawk Watch - Ron Morriss Park, Tubac, AZ 04/09/24
4/9/24 8:31 pm John Williams <john...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]Ibis flock; Arthur Pack Walk
4/9/24 6:04 pm Betsy Checchia <betsy.checchia...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]Central NM -- Rio Grande Nature Center State Park, Albuquerque, 8 April
4/9/24 10:49 am david johnson <desertsage88056...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]FOS male Lucifer hummingbird Portal AZ
4/9/24 9:04 am Diane Drobka <sunny1az...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]BLM Event: BLM to hold virtual information forum for solar proposals in Phoenix and Gila Districts
4/8/24 7:29 am p c <pcollinsca48...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]SEAZ: Tubac Hawk Watch - Ron Morriss Park, Tubac, AZ 04/01/24
4/7/24 7:38 pm Erika Wilson <terika88...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]SEAZ: Sierra Vista EOP--07 Apr 2024
4/6/24 2:04 pm Steven Tracey <straceyflash...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]SEAZ: FSPR bonus trip to Millville plus upcoming birding event
4/6/24 12:03 am Andrew Core <tucsonrba...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]RBA Tucson, AZ - 5 April 2024
4/5/24 6:31 pm Betsy Checchia <betsy.checchia...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]Central NM -- Isleta Pueblo Today
4/5/24 9:39 am Helen Leslie Hall <hlesliehall...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]Frigatebirds?
4/3/24 10:28 pm John Williams <john...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]Marana Owls Question
4/3/24 2:21 pm Richard Bansberg <rbansberg...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]Birding Walk at San Pedro House
4/2/24 7:18 am jghiggins <jghiggins...> Re: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]Willcox Playa Lithium Mining
4/2/24 7:15 am John Gwilliam <bbwd...> Re: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]Willcox Playa Lithium Mining
4/1/24 7:52 pm Richard Ditch <richardditch...> Re: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]Willcox Playa Lithium Mining
4/1/24 7:09 pm Jeff Wakefield <imissariz...> RE: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]Willcox Playa Lithium Mining
4/1/24 6:26 pm Jackie Lewis <winjac12...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]Willcox Playa Lithium Mining
4/1/24 4:40 pm Doug Jenness <dougjenness...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]'Arizona Birds'--April Species of the Month posted
4/1/24 6:13 am henry detwiler <henry_detwiler...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]SWAZ: Trumpeter Swan
4/1/24 3:15 am <pgoltz...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]Southern Arizona, new bird found
3/31/24 7:49 pm Erika Wilson <terika88...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]SEAZ: Sierra Vista EOP--31 Mar 2024
3/31/24 12:14 pm Marcia Lincoln <boahiss...> Re: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]White-winged Dove
3/31/24 12:00 pm Deanna Mac Phail <deanna.macphail...> Re: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]White-winged Dove
3/31/24 11:03 am John Williams <john...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]White-winged Dove
3/30/24 6:05 pm Darlene Smyth <dsmyth3...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]RE: WWDO
3/30/24 4:28 pm Andrew Core <tucsonrba...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]RBA Tucson, AZ - 30 March 2024
3/30/24 7:04 am p c <pcollinsca48...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]SEAZ: Tubac Hawk Watch - Ron Morriss Park, Tubac, AZ 03/28/24
3/30/24 5:21 am p c <pcollinsca48...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]SEAZ: Tubac Hawk Watch - Ron Morriss Park, Tubac, AZ 03/27/24
3/29/24 2:54 pm <bncthay...> <bncthay...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]White-winged Doves
3/29/24 2:27 pm <bncthay...> <bncthay...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]WW Dovea
3/29/24 1:13 pm Brad Brockman <brockmanb...> Re: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]White-winged Doves
3/29/24 1:10 pm Jennifer Johnston <azjohnston...> Re: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]White-winged Doves
3/29/24 1:08 pm Comcast <janines07...> Re: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]White-winged Doves
3/29/24 12:00 pm JEFF BRAKE <azcactuswren...> Re: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]White-winged Doves
3/29/24 11:58 am Deanna Mac Phail <deanna.macphail...> Re: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]White-winged Doves
3/29/24 11:27 am Darlene Smyth <dsmyth3...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]White-winged Doves
3/28/24 9:25 pm Rosie Watts <pinyonjay...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]Pantano Riverwalk vultures
3/28/24 1:28 pm henry detwiler <henry_detwiler...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]SWAZ: Yuma County
3/28/24 6:43 am p c <pcollinsca48...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]SEAZ: Tubac Hawk Watch - Ron Morriss Park, Tubac, AZ 03/26/24
3/27/24 3:12 pm Steven Tracey <straceyflash...> [AZNMbirds] [EXT]SEAZ: San Pedro House Bird Walk plus upcoming bird walk schedule

Back to top
Date: 4/25/24 10:37 am
From: henry detwiler <henry_detwiler...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]SWAZ: Yuma County
External Email

Greetings Birders,

I spent yesterday morning (Apr 24) at Mittry Lake, Hidden Shores, and the Solar Pond. A WESTERN SCREECH OWL and several COMMON POORWILLS greeted me at Betty's Kitchen before the sun rose. The mosquitoes were few in number and the weather was cool--a perfect morning. YELLOW-BREASTED CHATS have returned. I soon had all the rails (BLACK, SORA, VIRGINIA'S, and RIDGWAY'S) and all the waders. Waterfowl have all but departed, with only 4 duck species found. It was nice to see a CLARK'S GREBE with chicks riding on her back. 3 VAUX'S SWIFTS were neat, as was a handsome BONAPARTE'S GULL. By the time I left the Mittry Lake area I had 76 species.
At the Solar Pond, some five miles west of Wellton, 2 GREATER SCAUP continue along with the CANVASBACK. Shorebirds were represented by 11 species, including a WILLET, 26 WILSON'S PHALAROPES, and 4 newly-arrived RED-NECKED PHALAROPES.
A few eBird reports with photos:https://ebird.org/checklist/S170106763https://ebird.org/checklist/S170077020https://ebird.org/checklist/S169953326
Good Birding!Henry D. DetwilerYuma, AZ
Finding Birds in Southwest Arizonahttp://www.southwestbirders.com/swb_SWAZ_Book.htmFinding Birds at the Salton Sea and in Imperial County, Californiahttp://www.southwestbirders.com/swb_Imperial_County_Book.htm

Back to top
Date: 4/25/24 8:18 am
From: Doug Jenness <dougjenness...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]'Arizona Birds'--May species of the month and In Memoriam to Walter Thurber
External Email

The *Arizona Bird* species of the month feature for May is Little Gull
<https://arizonabirds.org/journal/2024/arizona-birds-species-of-the-month-little-gull.pdf>
and has been posted.
Also, just posted is a tribute to long-time Arizona birder, Walter Thurber
<https://arizonabirds.org/journal/2024/arizona-birds-walter-thurber.pdf>.

*Arizona Birds <https://arizonabirds.org/index.html>* is the peer-reviewed
online journal of the Arizona Field Ornithologists.

Doug Jenness
Tucson, AZ

Back to top
Date: 4/24/24 7:07 pm
From: Richard Bansberg <rbansberg...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]San Pedro House Bird Walk and "BIRDING CHALLENGE"
External Email

Hi Birders,

A quick note…….this Saturday, April 27, the Friends of the San Pedro River will be hosting a Celebrate the San Pedro Festival at the San Pedro House. One of the main events of the festival is a "Big Morning Birding Challenge” with birding walks at 5 locations along the San Pedro River. Details are provided at the end of this report.

This morning 17 birders split into 2 groups and found 71 species while walking the trails at the San Pedro House. First-of-season birds included Yellow-breasted Chat, Brown-crested Flycatcher, Western Tanager, Western-wood Pewee, Black-headed Grosbeak and Bullock’s Oriole. The end of April and beginning of May are a peak period for bird species along the river. This morning we found a spot along the river where we could quietly observe birds coming into bathe. Within several minutes we observed Chipping Sparrow, Black Phoebe, Lazuli Bunting, Common Yellowthroat and Wilson’s, Yellow, and Yellow-rumped Warblers all sharing this spot. Other sightings during the walk included Zone-tailed Hawk, Gilded Flicker, Western Screech-owl, and Great Horned Owl.

The Friends of the San Pedro River will lead birding walks the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of May. The walks start at 7:00am from the San Pedro House off AZ Highway 90 just west of the San Pedro River. The walks last about 3 hours. Bring your own binoculars, a hat and water.

Richard Bansberg
Friends of the San Pedro River
Hereford, AZ

This Saturday, April 27, the Friends of the San Pedro will be hosting a Celebrate the San Pedro Festival at the San Pedro House. One of the main events of the festival will be a "Big Morning Birding Challenge." This event takes place at five different locations along the San Pedro River on SPRNCA property. We are inviting birders of all experience levels to join in the fun. No advance notice is required. Simply show up at one of the five locations before 7:00am when birding walks begin and meet the docent. Expect the birding to last until 11:00am and then join the results countdown at the San Pedro House at 11:30am. The five locations are:

1. San Pedro House
2. Waters Road (next to Casa de San Pedro)
3. Hereford Bridge Trailhead
4. Escapule Wash
5. Millville (Charleston Bridge area).

Please Note: All birding activities are free of charge to participants, but you must bring your own binoculars, water, and any snacks you need to keep you going. Here are the detailed directions for each site:

1. San Pedro House – Meet at the San Pedro House at 7:00am. San Pedro House is located on the south side of Hwy 90 just before the San Pedro River about 8 miles east of Sierra Vista. The San Pedro House has bathroom facilities and a large parking lot.

2. Hereford Bridge – Meet at the Hereford Bridge Trailhead parking lot at 7:00am. The trailhead parking lot is on the south side of Hereford Road about 200 yards west of the San Pedro River - it is well signed. The trailhead entrance is before either of the pull-offs by the beginning of the guard rails to the bridge. The trailhead has bathrooms and ample parking.

3. Waters Road – Meet at 7:00am at the pull-off at the end of Waters Road in Hereford where the road turns to the right and becomes Yell Lane. This is right next to the Casa de San Pedro B&B. There are quite a few parking spaces at this pull-off. The Waters Road access point does not have bathrooms. The nearest bathrooms on SPRNCA property are at the Hereford Bridge Trailhead about a 7-minute drive away.

4. Escapule Wash – Meet at 7:00am at the pull-off along Escapule Rd about 0.3 miles from the intersection of Charleston and Escapule Roads. This pull-off is near the area where the road crosses the dry wash. This is a great area for birds, but is a bit more challenging of a walk and you should plan to get your shoes wet. There are no bathrooms. The nearest SPRNCA bathrooms are at Millville which is about a 3-minute drive to the east of the intersection.

5. Millville – Meet at the Millville Trailhead at 7:00am. The trailhead is located on the north side of Charleston Road about 0.3 miles east of the San Pedro River crossing. This is not the popular parking area on the south side of Charleston Road next to the old bridge, but rather, if coming from Sierra Vista, travel just under 0.3 miles further from there and look for the open gate on the left side of the road. There is a large fire danger warning sign by the entrance. Park by the bathrooms, to the left of the entrance.

For more details on the festival, general information can be found on the FSPR Facebook Page:

(20+) Friends of The San Pedro River | Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/fspraz/events>

Back to top
Date: 4/24/24 6:35 pm
From: John Williams <john...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]Zero Shovelers at Arthur Pack
External Email

Even at the end of spring there are usually a couple Northern Shovelers at Arthur Pack Regional Park in NW Tucson. Today was a zero. I can’t remember the last time that happened.
Today was limited to Cinnamon Teal, Mallard and Ruddy Ducks. There may have been a pair of Mexican Ducks, but I couldn’t get close enough to tell for sure.

Another interesting bit: Pale-lored White-crowned Sparrows seem to be gone. The past two days all were the dark-lored variety. A couple sang a slightly different song from the winter residents, with a distinctly lower second note before finishing on the typical higher trill.

A single adult Barn Swallow broke my recent string of only Northern Rough-wings.
No longer any shortage of White-winged Doves…. Their influx has coincided with beginning saguaro blossoming.

At home, a kettle of five Harris’s Hawks briefly was over the yard.

John R WilliamsHome Page: https://list.arizona.edu/sympa/info/aznmbirds

Back to top
Date: 4/24/24 4:11 pm
From: Olga Harbour <oharbour...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]SE AZ Patagonia-Sonoita Creek Preserve Empid and others
External Email

Hi folks,

I spent about three hours at the preserve this morning, arriving about 7:15 to get ahead of the wind in the forecast. Lots of birdly activity all over the place!

I saw an empid at the northern end of the Railroad Trail where the bench is. Another birder had alerted me. Anyway, I want to call it a Dusky Flycatcher. I'm not an empid expert, so I welcome confirmation or denial if anyone else saw this bird today.

Probably the most enjoyable sighting of the day was a mixed flock of Summer and Western Tanagers in a cottonwood near where the Creek Trail heads away from the meadow back toward the creek. There were at least 8 birds in the group in gorgeous plumage. I also saw several Lazuli Buntings.

Three Gray Hawks were visible, two adults perched in the same tree and a juvenile flying overhead. Lots of Wild Turkey strutting their stuff in the meadow, joined by some (Coues?) White-tailed deer.

All morning long I heard Common Yellowthroat, but none were ever visible. Other warblers: Lucy's, Wilson's, Yellow, and Yellow-rumped.

Just as I was pulling out of my parking space, a Zone-tailed Hawk cruised by overhead.

Good birding!

Olga Harbour

Tucson, AZHome Page: https://list.arizona.edu/sympa/info/aznmbirds

Back to top
Date: 4/22/24 2:20 pm
From: henry detwiler <henry_detwiler...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]SWAZ & SEAZ: Yuma County & Mt. Lemmon
External Email

Greetings Birders,

Spot Road Farm, east of Dateland at the edge of Yuma County, continues to be a fine place to look for rarities and migrants. On Apr 15 Colby Neuman discovered an AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVER, and it remained there at least until the following day, when I photographed it. Other nice birds found on that day included my FOS SOLITARY SANDPIPER, VAUX'S SWIFT, and MACGILLIVRAY'S WARBLER. Over the weekend I made two more stops there on my way to and from Tucson, adding more FOS targets: LAZULI BUNTING, BLUE GROSBEAK, and yesterday afternoon, a TOWNSEND'S WARBLER (bird #200 for Yuma County in 2024). Compared to a cool Mt. Lemmon, Spot Road Farm is not quite so much fun birding in 98-degree weather!
The Solar Pond, some five miles west of Wellton, is again proving to be a worthwhile birding destination. On Apr 19 I had seven species of waterfowl, including 5 GREATER SCAUP. Shorebirds were well represented, including some 300 LEAST & WESTERN SANDPIPERS.
On the morning of Sunday, Apr 21, I spent a few hours up on Mt. Lemmon. In Willow Canyon I was surrounded by a legion of avian delights. RED-FACED, OLIVE, GRACE'S, TOWNSEND'S, YELLOW-RUMPED, and BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLERS were snapping up bugs and singing. The OLIVE and RED-FACED WARBLERS were especially vocal and amorous. In the distance I could head a NORTHERN PYGMY-OWL, a BAND-TAILED PIGEON, and a GREATER PEWEE. During my next stop at the head of the Palisade Trail I added a late CASSIN'S FINCH and a flock of PYGMY NUTHATCHES, and saw more of the same mountain warblers. As I made my way back down the mountain the long line of cars and bikes snaking their way uphill reminded me of just how popular this location gets on weekends.
Closer to home, the GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW continues at the Yuma East Wetlands, and the BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER is still happily feeding at the Yuma West Wetlands.
A few eBird reports with photos:https://ebird.org/checklist/S169709690https://ebird.org/checklist/S169295066https://ebird.org/checklist/S168775808

Date: 4/22/24 1:30 pm
From: Uwviper <uwviper...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]SEAZ Graham County: Howard Well KENTUCKY and TENNESSEE WARBLERS
External Email

While pre-running my breeding bird survey route this morning in the very SE corner of Graham County, I made a stop at Howard Well.  The BLM has been doing some "renovations" to the pond but these didn't seem to bother the birds.  There was a steady stream of birds coming into bathe and get a quick drink in the pools below the pipe out flow.  In addition to the usual migrants and resident birds, I observed a male TENNESSEE WARBLER in full breeding plumage (bright mossy green back and contrasting grey head with white eye stripe) come into the upper most pool.  It bathed and then preened on an exposed mesquite branch allowing for great views.  Shortly thereafter, a male KENTUCKY WARBLER came into bathe in amongst the Orange-crowned Warblers, which allowed for a good size comparison.  Although it was nice to see the orange crowns for once, the striking black "mask" of the KENTUCKY was the show stopper.
For those wanting to venture out that way, the roads from Bowie were good, although a bit dusty. This place is a true oasis in the middle of the desert.
Good Birding,Jeff CokerVail/Rio Rico, AZHome Page: https://list.arizona.edu/sympa/info/aznmbirds

Back to top
Date: 4/21/24 7:21 pm
From: Erika Wilson <terika88...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]SEAZ: Sierra Vista EOP--21 Apr 2024
External Email

Hi, birders,

A dozen folks from AZ, MI, MT, NM, and UT walked the Sierra Vista EOP dikes
this morning, noting 80 species, which were augmented by some additional
species heard during a predawn count (think Great Horned Owl, Crissal
Thrasher, and Black-throated Sparrow, all vocal while it is still dark),
for a total tally of 83 species.

Ducks are becoming thin on the water, although we still found 9 species,
with a lingering female Bufflehead adding spice. We found a good mix of
long-legged waders, with one each of Green Heron, Great Egret, and Great
Blue Heron, plus 6 White-faced Ibis.

More rewarding was finding a variety of shorebirds, with a flock of 18
American Avocets, 4 Killdeer, 2 Wilson's Snipe, 2 Spotted Sandpipers, and
one each of Solitary Sandpiper, Greater Yellowlegs, and Least Sandpiper.
Am. Coot numbers have dropped dramatically, while Sora hung on with 3
calling birds, and finally, near the end of the walk, 1 Virginia Rail added
its voice.

Seven species of flycatcher included 4 different Western Wood Pewees.
Though not uncommon in wooded areas, this species is rare at the EOP.
Today's four birds tied the high count previously set in late May 2011, and
was only the third April record for the EOP Sunday walks.

Bird walks behind the locked gates of the Sierra Vista EOP occur every
Sunday morning. For the spring months (March-May) walks start promptly at *7:00
a.m.* Arrive early at the EOP Bird Viewing Platform to sign in with the
guide--group size is limited to fifteen. Late arrivals will not have access
behind the locked gates. Scopes are useful. Bring a hat and water--there is
no shade nor any amenities on the walk route. There is a chem toilet in the
parking area.

The EOP is located just east (~ 3 miles) of Sierra Vista on AZ Hwy 90. Look
for the Brua Animal Care Center and the Wildlife Viewing signs on the north
side of Hwy 90. Turn left (north) and proceed to the bird viewing platform.
Note that Google Maps may direct you to the wrong entrance.

Cheers, Erika Wilson

--
Erika Wilson, Sierra Vista, AZ

Back to top
Date: 4/21/24 5:33 am
From: Steven Tracey <straceyflash...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]SEAZ: NO SIGHTING - Birding Event along the San Pedro this Saturday
External Email

Hi Birders,

This Saturday, April 27, the Friends of the San Pedro will be hosting the
Celebrate the San Pedro Festival at San Pedro House. One of the main
events of the festival will be a "Big Morning Birding Challenge." This
event takes place at five different locations along the San Pedro on SPRNCA
property. We are inviting birders of all experience levels to join in on
the fun. No advance notice is required. Simply show up at one of the five
locations before 7:00AM when birding begins and meet the docent. Expect
the birding to last until 11:00AM and try to make the results countdown at
San Pedro House at 11:30AM. The five locations are:

1. San Pedro House
2. Waters Rd. (next to Casa De San Pedro)
3. Hereford Bridge Trailhead
4. Escapule Wash
5. Millville (Charleston Bridge area).

Please Note: All birding activities are free of charge to participants, but
you must bring your own binoculars, water, and any snacks you need to keep
you going.

Here are the detailed directions for each site:
1. San Pedro House – Meet at the San Pedro House at 7:00 am. San Pedro
House is located on the south side of Hwy 90 just before the San Pedro
River about 8 miles east of Sierra Vista on Hwy 90. The San Pedro House has
bathroom facilities and a large parking lot.
2. Hereford Bridge – Meet at the Hereford Bridge Trailhead parking lot at
7:00 am. The trailhead parking lot is on the south side of Hereford Road
about 200 yards west of the San Pedro River - it is well signed. This is
not either of the pull-offs by the beginning of the guard rails to the
bridge. The trailhead has bathrooms and ample parking.
3. Waters Rd – Meet at 7:00 am at the pull-oa at the end of Waters Rd in
Hereford where the road turns to the right and becomes Yell Lane. This is
right next to the Casa De San Pedro B&B. There are quite a few parking
spaces at this pull-off. The Waters Rd access point does not have
bathrooms. The nearest bathrooms on SPRNCA property are at the Hereford
Bridge Trailhead about a 7-minute drive away.
4. Escapule Wash – Meet at 7:00 am at the pull-oas along Escapule Rd about
0.3 miles from the intersection of Charleston Rd and Escapule Rd. These
pull-offs are right around the area where the road crosses the dry wash.
This is a great area for birds and is a bit of a more challenging walk and
you should plan to get your shoes wet. There are no bathrooms. The nearest
SPRNCA bathrooms are at Millville which is about a 3-minute drive away.
5. Millville – Meet at the Millville trailhead at 7:00 am. The trailhead is
located on the north side of Charleston Rd .3 miles east of the San Pedro
River crossing. This is not the popular parking area on the south side of
Charleston Rd next to the old bridge, but rather, if coming from Sierra
Vista, travel just under 0.3 miles further from there and look for the open
gate on the left side of the road. There is a large fire danger warning
sign by the entrance. Park by the bathrooms, to the left of the entrance.

For more details on the festival general information can be found on the
FSPR Facebook Page:

(20+) Friends of The San Pedro River | Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/fspraz/events>

Steve Tracey
Hereford, AZ

Back to top
Date: 4/20/24 7:45 pm
From: Deanna Mac Phail <deanna.macphail...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]Red Tailed Hawks
External Email

Several evenings this past week we've observed the pair of nesting hawks
perched together about sunset, away from the cliff nest,as if taking a
break from nest duties. This evening I happened to look back at the nest
and saw two fuzzy heads emerge. Both chicks moved around in the nest,
awkwardly flapping stubby wings. I would guess they are about two weeks old.

The nest is built on a seemingly precariously sloped cliff ledge, with not
much observable safe exercise area. But these adults have successfully
raised young to fly from the nest the past two years, so they know more
about these things than I do.

Deanna MacPhail
west side Tucson

Back to top
Date: 4/19/24 2:51 pm
From: Andrew Core <tucsonrba...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]RBA Tucson, AZ - 19 April 2024
External Email

Hello Birders,

This update of Tucson Audubon Society's Rare Bird Alert for Southeast
Arizona was made on April 19, 2024; the next update will be made on April
26. Email your reports to rarebirdalert AT tucsonaudubon.org.

SEVERAL IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENTS follow the sightings, including information
on temporary closures and rules for access to other important birding
areas. Abbreviation "m.ob." = multiple observers. An asterisk (*)
preceding a species name in the list indicates that it merits careful, full
documentation. A pound sign (#) indicates that brief corroborating details
are warranted. Documentation and photos of review species may be submitted
at http://www.azfo.org/gallery/1main/whatIsABC.html and recent rarity
photos can be seen at http://www.azfo.net/gallery/1main/photos_recent.html.
A list of review species can be found here:
http://www.azfo.org/gallery/1main/ReviewList.html

Where directions are not given, they can be found in the most recent
edition of Tucson Audubon's "Finding Birds in Southeast Arizona". More
information may be found here: https://tucsonaudubon.org/birds-seaz/. For
additional sightings in the region, please see the The Arizona-New Mexico
Birding ListServ (https://list.arizona.edu/sympa/arc/aznmbirds) or the
Arizona Birding group on Facebook (
https://www.facebook.com/groups/arizonabirding/).

For more information about Tucson Audubon field trips, lectures and
educational opportunities, please see www.tucsonaudubon.org.

SPECIES MENTIONED IN THIS REPORT:
#Greater Scaup
*ANHINGA (unconfirmed)
*GLOSSY IBIS
#Broad-winged Hawk
#Berylline Hummingbird
#Rufous-backed Robin
#Brown Thrasher
#Tennessee Warbler
#Black-throated Blue Warbler
*PINE WARBLER
#Palm Warbler
#Golden-crowned Sparrow

TUCSON area
A *GLOSSY IBIS was photographed at the Avra Valley WWTP on 4/13 (JC Curd).
Hours are 8am-2pm, when the gate is locked for the day.
A #BROAD-WINGED HAWK was photographed over Jesse Owens Park 4/13 (Zachariah
Bramkampon).
A #BROWN THRASHER continued at WOW Arizona B&B in Catalina on 4/16
(Elizabeth Crouthamel).

WILLCOX & the SULPHUR SPRINGS VALLEY
A *PINE WARBLER continued at Keiller Park in Willcox on 4/14 (Max Jarrett).

TUBAC area (annotated map: http://goo.gl/maps/yDqi0)
#BROAD-WINGED HAWKS continued to be reported at the Tubac Hawk Watch at Ron
Morriss Park, being reported on 4/14 (2), 4/15, 4/16, 4/17 and 4/18
(m.ob.). An ANHINGA was reported on 4/14 (Seth Ausubel) – unfortunately,
very high overhead, and Neotropic Cormorant could not be conclusively ruled
out.
A #GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW continued in a neighborhood west of Tubac on 4/13
(Dale Sweetnam).

AMADO
A #GREATER SCAUP continued at the Amado STP this week (m.ob.).

SIERRA VISTA & the HUACHUCAS
At the San Pedro House, a dark morph #BROAD-WINGED HAWK was photographed
along the river on 4/17 (Steven Tracey).
At the Hereford Bridge over the San Pedro River, a light morph
#BROAD-WINGED HAWK was photographed on 4/18 (Ron Beck).
Another light morph #BROAD-WINGED HAWK was reported over Huachuca City on
4/19 (Nancy Overholtz, Linda Pittman).
A #GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW continued at the Battiste Bed & Breakfast this
week (m.ob.).
A #PALM WARBLER was reported at the Casa de San Pedro B&B on 4/19 (m.ob.).

GREEN VALLEY & the SANTA RITAS
In Madera Canyon (map: http://goo.gl/dXBYP), a #BERYLLINE HUMMINGBIRD
continued at the Madera Kubo Lodge this week (m.ob.).

PATAGONIA
#RUFOUS-BACKED ROBINS continued along Blue Haven Road between the Patons
and the Patagonia-Sonoita Creek Preserve and at the Preserve this week
(m.ob.).
A #TENNESSEE WARBLER continued in Patagonia, this time at the Paton Center
on 4/17 (James Taylor).

NOGALES area
A #RUFOUS-BACKED ROBIN was photographed in a Rio Rico yard on 4/16 (Donna
Bazzo) and continued on 4/19.

PORTAL & the CHIRICAHUAS (annotated map: http://goo.gl/maps/XfXfX)
A #BROWN THRASHER continued at Cave Creek Ranch through 4/13 (Randall
Roberts).
A #BLACK-THROATED BLUE WARBLER continued at the Southwestern Research
Station on 4/17 (m.ob.).

ANNOUNCEMENTS
The revised 8th edition of Tucson Audubon's "Finding Birds in Southeast
Arizona" is available here:
http://tucsonaudubon.org/go-birding/finding-birds-in-southeast-arizona/

TUCSON - Mosquito control operations are scheduled at Sweetwater Wetlands
from 6:30-9:00am on Mondays during the warmer months (usually March -
November). The gate will open when operations are finished. Due to
long-term construction, Roger Road WRF is closed. See our Sweetwater page (
https://tucsonaudubon.org/go-birding/get-started-with-birding/great-places-to-bird/sweetwater-wetlands/)
or https://www.tucsonaz.gov/water/sweetwater-wetlands for details.

The Pima County Regional Wastewater Reclamation Department security
procedures are subject to change any time. Please see the "bird watching"
link on this page for important information regarding access:
http://webcms.pima.gov/government/wastewaterreclamation/

RAMSEY CANYON - Ramsey Canyon Preserve is closed Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

ASH CANYON B&B: open dawn to dusk EXCEPT Thursday, when open noon to dusk.
Parking is limited; please carpool whenever possible. No need to call ahead.

FORT HUACHUCA - access requirements are posted on its official webpage at
https://home.army.mil/huachuca/index.php/about/Garrison/DES/physical-security/visitor-access.
The Visitor Control Center is located at the Van Deman Gate on Hwy 90. The
fort is an active military installation and will suspend your driving
privileges on Post for 30 days on your first offense for talking or using a
cell phone while driving. You MUST use a hands free device. Current entry
requirements (subject to change without notice): US citizens must pass a
background check and should be prepared to show photo ID for everyone in
the vehicle at the entrance, and possibly your vehicle registration and
insurance as well. Sometimes, foreign nationals are required to have an
approved military escort; contact the base (520.533.7111), or possibly the
Sierra Vista Visitor's Bureau (520.417.6960) well in advance. ACCESS NOTE:
a REAL ID is required for entry; some state driver's licenses qualify; see
https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-public-faqs for details.

SANTA CRUZ FLATS: Management at the Evergreen Turf Sod Farm has asked
birders not to drive into the property (i.e., the 2750 road); birding from
perimeter roads (i.e., Tweedy or Pretzer) is still fine.

AVRA VALLEY WRF: Gates open at 7AM and close PROMPTLY at 2PM (do not
linger, you will be locked inside). Access subject to change without notice.

GREEN VALLEY WRF: Open 7 AM - 2 PM. Use the call box at the gate, follow
the signs for parking, and stay away from buildings and construction
equipment. Access subject to change without notice.

CORONA DE TUCSON WRF and NOGALES STP: Closed to entry; some facilities may
be viewed from outside the fence.

Andrew Core
SEAZ RBA Compiler - Tucson, AZ
http://tucsonaudubon.org/go-birding/southeast-arizona-rare-bird-alert/

Back to top
Date: 4/19/24 12:44 pm
From: John Williams <john...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]Crossroads at Silverbelle
External Email

This morning I walked Raven Black along the riverside bike path From Cortaro Rd to the Amazon warehouse. (Jack Sparrow was getting groomed)
Had several nice views of three Summer Tanagers; managed photos of one.
Found a nesting Anna’s Hummingbird.
The underlip of the bridge has an active Cliff Swallow colony.
Noted two male Black-chinned Hummingbirds.
Only Yellow and Common Yellowthroat Warblers were found singing, along with Bell’s Vireos.

Surprising to me, the new format on Ebird, had zero month-to-date reports for the hotspot.

John R Williams

Back to top
Date: 4/18/24 4:01 pm
From: Theresa Lawson <tmlawson1...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]SEAZ: San Pedro House birding walk April 17

Back to top
Date: 4/18/24 2:51 pm
From: Olga Harbour <oharbour...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]SE AZ Mt. Lemmon/Control Rd.
External Email

Hi folks,

Bob and I headed up Mt. Lemmon this morning hoping to see a few warblers and to check out the Control Rd., which we haven't driven for at least 5 years.

We walked the trail at Incinerator Ridge and had Virginia's and Olive warblers, along with a number of singing Spotted towhees, American robins, and many Yellow-eyed juncos. A brief stop at Marshall Gulch gave us Red-faced warbler and Painted redstart. The fifth warbler of the morning was a gorgeous male Townsend's warbler, shortly after we headed down the Control Rd. All the warblers were FOY for us. All in all, numbers of birds were on the low side, but we enjoyed all the ones we saw!

The Control Rd. is in pretty sorry shape, lots of big rocks, holes, and narrow spots on the road. Luckily, the few times we had traffic coming uphill, there was enough room (barely) to pass each other. I would definitely not try it in a sedan! On the other hand, there are lots wildflowers in bloom all the way down to Oracle.

Date: 4/18/24 12:51 pm
From: Deanna Mac Phail <deanna.macphail...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]FOS
External Email

We saw the first of the season baby Gambel's Quail in our yard this
morning. Just a bit on the early side of average.

Red-tailed Hawks appear to be on a nest on the west side of Little Cat Mtn.

Deanna MacPhail
West Tucson

Back to top
Date: 4/17/24 8:12 pm
From: John Williams <john...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]Brown-crested
External Email

This morning a Brown-crested Flycatcher briefly called and sang in the early sun in my backyard. NW Tucson.
At Arthur Pack Park, the Great Horned Owl has at least one chick. The location of the nest is difficult to view due to mistletoe clumps and neighboring trees.

A flock of Lark Sparrows was a nice find. They appeared to be feeding on the abundant grass seeds. Actually seeing a Bell’s Vireo was a treat.
The Mesquites are leafing out slowly, which may be a contribution to the relatively slow migration.

Date: 4/17/24 9:43 am
From: Doug Jenness <dougjenness...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]Global Big Day spring migration count, May 11
External Email

If you like to get out in the spring sunshine and count birds, you should
sign up to participate in the annual Global Big Day (GBD) spring migration
count on Saturday, 11 May. The GBD in Arizona is coordinated by the Arizona
Field Ornithologists on a county-wide basis, and the list of county
coordinators is on the AZFO website <https://www.azfo.org/global-big-day>.
Twenty years of data for the GBD and the earlier North American Migration
Count can be found at: Welcome Arizona Field Ornithologists (azfo.net)
<http://azfo.net/namc/aznamc.html>

Doug Jenness,

State coordinator GBD in Arizona

Back to top
Date: 4/17/24 5:48 am
From: Mark Stevenson <drbrdr99...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]Take the survey on Arizona's 2025 Trail Plan
External Email

https://azstateparks.com/2025-trails-plan#:~:text=The%202025%20Trails%20Plan%20is%20an%20essential%20guide%20and%20roadmap,recreation%20and%20the%20natural%20environment
.

Mark Stevenson
Tucson, AZ

Back to top
Date: 4/16/24 10:47 am
From: Doug Jenness <dougjenness...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]'Arizona Birds' --new article on Blue-black Grassquit
External Email

4/16/24

Last summer, the first BLUE-BLACK GRASSQUIT to be reported in the United
States was seen in Graham County, Arizona. An article
<https://arizonabirds.org/journal/2024/arizona-birds-blue-black-grassquit.pdf>
about this discovery has been posted in Arizona Birds
<https://arizonabirds.org/index.html>, the online, peer-reviewed journal of
the Arizona Field Ornithologists.

While taking a look at this article, you might want to check out articles
on other first records for Arizona: American Woodcock
<https://arizonabirds.org/journal/2022/arizona-birds-first-record-american-woodcock.pdf>,
White-throated Thrush
<https://arizonabirds.org/journal/2020/arizona-birds-white-throated-thrush.pdf>,
Clay-colored Thrush
<https://arizonabirds.org/journal/2021/arizona-birds-clay-colored-thrush.pdf>,
White-tipped Dove
<https://arizonabirds.org/journal/2023/arizona-birds-white-tipped-dove.pdf>,
and Orange-billed Nightingale-Thrush
<https://arizonabirds.org/journal/2022/arizona-birds-nightingale-thrush.pdf>
.

Doug Jenness
Tucson, AZ

Back to top
Date: 4/14/24 9:11 pm
From: Rosie Watts <pinyonjay...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]Inca Dove in Tucson
External Email

I drove to Savers on Broadway late this morning to drop off some donations.
As I was stopped in the donation lane, an Inca Dove seemingly floated down
from my upper left and landed on the asphalt about 15 ft from my truck.

Got binoculars on it, it looked healthy, and a very short time later it
flew away.

Not a lot of green space in the immediate area, but there is a neighborhood
just north of savers along Chantilly. And a school which I believe has some
open lawn.

We've had one sighting at this yard, but it's been many years.

This morning at Fort Lowell Park, as we approached the east side of the
park overlooking the Riverwalk, Jim was able to count 17 turkey vultures.
We haven't been seeing them much this last week, but our efforts have not
been very concerted, and there's always the matter of hit and miss with
timing.

Our Lucy's warblers are still courting and singing daily, so we are hopeful
for a successful brood again.

Good birding!

Rosie and Jim Watts
Tucson, Arizona

Back to top
Date: 4/14/24 12:13 pm
From: <dpsiminski...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] Sierra Vista EOP Birding Walk
This morning, seven local birders and two from Oregon attended the birding
walk at the Sierra Vista Environmental Operations Park (EOP). We walked the
dikes and we saw 81 species of birds.

If there was any doubt that spring migration was on, this is the second week
in a row that we have seen over eighty species on the Sunday morning EOP
birding walk. As an example of the spring migrant phenomenon, a few trees in a
large open expanse is very attractive to migrating warblers. In the six pines
near the EOP viewing platform we saw Yellow Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warbler,
Wilson’s Warbler, Black-throated Gray Warbler, and Lucy’s Warbler, plus 15
Common Yellowthroats in the nearby cattail impoundments. Six total warbler
species for the morning.

Six was also the total of migrant shorebirds that we saw: Greater Yellowlegs,
Least Sandpiper, Wilson’s Snipe, Spotted Sandpiper, and a Black-necked Stilt,
plus resident and passage Killdeer.

Two first-of-season Hooded Orioles were also a nice addition to our list.

The bird-of-the-day, however, was an American Bittern flushed from one of the
cattail impoundments. This is only the twelfth record in over twenty years of
Sunday EOP walks and the first since Feb 2023 for this rare winter visitor and
passage migrant.

A close second for the bird-of-the-day was a Barn Owl, an uncommon resident of
the area, but very rarely seen on the EOP walks. This is only the fifth EOP
Sunday birding walk record, and the first since August 2019.

Birding walks behind the locked gates of the Sierra Vista EOP occur every
Sunday morning. For the months of April and May, the walks start at 7:00am.
Meet early at the EOP Bird Viewing Platform to sign in with the guide. Late
arrivals will not have access behind the locked gates. Scopes are useful. A
hat and water are highly recommended.

The EOP is located just east (~ 3 miles) of Sierra Vista on AZ Hwy 90. Look
for the Brua Animal Care Center and the Wildlife Viewing signs on the
northside of Hwy 90. Turn left (north) and proceed to the bird viewing
platform. Note that Google Maps may direct you to the wrong entrance.

See you at the EOP.

See our ebird list at: https://ebird.org/checklist/S168621134

Pete Siminski
Sierra Vista AZ

Back to top
Date: 4/12/24 7:28 pm
From: Andrew Core <tucsonrba...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]RBA Tucson, AZ - 12 April 2024
External Email

Hello Birders,

This update of Tucson Audubon Society's Rare Bird Alert for Southeast
Arizona was made on April 12, 2024; the next update will be made on April
19. Email your reports to rarebirdalert AT tucsonaudubon.org.

[...]

#Surf Scoter
#Broad-winged Hawk
#Short-tailed Hawk
#Berylline Hummingbird
#Green Kingfisher
*TUFTED FLYCATCHER
#Pacific Wren
#Rufous-backed Robin
#Brown Thrasher
#Tennessee Warbler
#Black-throated Blue Warbler
*PINE WARBLER
#Golden-crowned Sparrow

PATAGONIA
A *TUFTED FLYCATCHER was photographed in upper Finley and Adams Canyon (
https://ebird.org/hotspot/L1848679) in the Patagonia Mountains on 4/11
(Caleb Strand). GPS: 31.39478, -110.70354
#RUFOUS-BACKED ROBINS continued along Blue Haven Road between the Patons
and the Patagonia-Sonoita Creek Preserve and at the Preserve this week
(m.ob.).
A #TENNESSEE WARBLER continued near the old treatment plant on Costello Dr
on 4/10 (Susan Patla).
At Patagonia Lake (annotated map: http://goo.gl/GgNvs), a #BROAD-WINGED
HAWK was photographed on 4/7 (Garrett Little) along the Birding Trail at
the east end of the lake through 3/30 (Joe Mahaffey).

WILLCOX & the SULPHUR SPRINGS VALLEY
A *PINE WARBLER continued at Keiller Park in Willcox on 4/11 (Max Jarrett).
A #SURF SCOTER continued at Lake Cochise by the Twin Lakes Golf Course in
Willcox on 4/8 (m.ob.).

AMADO
A #GREATER SCAUP continued at the Amado STP this week (m.ob.).

TUCSON area
A #BROAD-WINGED HAWK was photographed over the Catalina foothills on 4/8
(Carl Englander).

TUBAC area (annotated map: http://goo.gl/maps/yDqi0)
A dark morph #SHORT-TAILED HAWK continued at the Tubac Hawk Watch at Ron
Morriss Park through 4/11 (Eric Kallen). Two #BROAD-WINGED HAWKS were
reported on 4/10, and an astounding six on 4/11 (Peter Collins), and two
more on 4/12.
#GREEN KINGFISHERS continued along the Santa Cruz River between Santa
Gertrudis Lane and Chavez Siding Rd this week (m.ob.).
A #GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW continued in a neighborhood west of Tubac on 4/10
(Dale Sweetnam).

PORTAL & the CHIRICAHUAS (annotated map: http://goo.gl/maps/XfXfX)
A #BROAD-WINGED HAWK was photographed over town on 4/8 (John Harshman).
A #BROWN THRASHER continued in a Whitetail Canyon yard this week (Rick
Taylor).
A #BROWN THRASHER continued at Cave Creek Ranch this week (m.ob.).
A #BLACK-THROATED BLUE WARBLER continued at the Southwestern Research
Station on 4/10 (m.ob.).

GREEN VALLEY & the SANTA RITAS
In Madera Canyon (map: http://goo.gl/dXBYP), a #BERYLLINE HUMMINGBIRD
continued at the Madera Kubo Lodge this week (m.ob.).

SIERRA VISTA & the HUACHUCAS
A #PACIFIC WREN continued in Huachuca Canyon at the 1.7-mile parking area
on 4/9 (Carol Hippenmeyer).
A #GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW continued at the Battiste Bed & Breakfast this
week (m.ob.).

DOUGLAS area
A #TENNESSEE WARBLER was reported at San Bernardino NWR on 4/10 (Richard
Webster). Annotated map: https://goo.gl/uX96Pw

Date: 4/12/24 7:18 pm
From: John Williams <john...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]Arthur Pack Park, NW Tucson, Sparrows and Towhees
External Email

An unusually productive afternoon at the park. Not many of each species, but six sparrow and two towhee species was a six month high. A rather handsomely colored Grasshopper Sparrow popped up and sat for me. I have never seen one in the spring, as it approaches breeding plumage. I was surprised, but reacted quickly to get several shots.
Also today: many White-crowned, 2 Chipping, 2 Lark, 1Song, 1Vesper, Abert’s and 2 Green-tailed Towhee, and a Gray Flycatcher.

A count of twelve Northern Shovelers was down from thirty yesterday. Missed on Yellow-rumps, but had a good look at a Lucy’s Warbler.
The Great-horned Owl is on nest. It is standing up more so perhaps an egg or two have hatched? No way to tell.
Noted a Greater Roadrunner carrying a stick.

John R Williams

Back to top
Date: 4/12/24 6:37 am
From: Tom Arny <tarny...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]Calliope Hummingbird Flux Canyon, Patagonia, AZ
External Email

Had a lovely male Calliope Hummingbird yesterday (April 11, 2024)
visiting salvia and penstemon blooms along the back porch in Flux
Canyon, Patagonia, AZ.  Also a male Black-chin, Anna's, and many
Broadbills.  Black-throated and Rufous-crowned Sparrows still coming in
for seed and joined by two White-wing Doves (first of season).  Also
walked in Harshaw Creek Road canyon, where we saw a singing Painted
Redstart and heard a Gray Hawk.  Merlin app said it heard a Dusky-capped
Flycatcher, but no sighting.  Did see several Cassin's Kingbirds.  Water
flowing across road there.

    A drive to Madera two days ago turned up no special birds, but the
poppies, lupine, and tackstem were pretty on Box Canyon Road west of the
waterfall.

--

Tom Arny
PO Box 545

Back to top
Date: 4/11/24 7:33 pm
From: Olga Harbour <oharbour...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]SEAZ Santa Cruz River/Clark Crossing
External Email

Hi folks,

Three of us birded the Santa Cruz south of Clark Crossing this morning for several hours, starting at 7:15. Perfect weather for birding!

We totaled 28 species, including five warblers: Yellow, Nashville, Orange-crowned, Lucy's, and both Audubon's and Myrtle Yellow-rumps. Bewick's wrens were very vocal, along with Gray hawk and Cooper's hawk. Vermilion flycatchers and Broad-billed hummers were easy to spot all along the way. We saw a Belted kingfisher, but no Green kingfishers. None of the few other folks we met had seen the Green either.

Yet another great day to be out and about in Se AZ!

Date: 4/10/24 1:42 pm
From: <dpsiminski...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] San Pedro House Birding Walk
This morning, ten birders participated in The Friends of the San Pedro River’s
Birding Walk. We birded a 4.4km loop south of the San Pedro House, all within
the San Pedro Riparian National Conservation Area (SPRNCA). We saw 55 species
of birds.

The bird of the day was our first for this season Summer Tanager, a male!

We had some other seasonal firsts for the birding walk, as summer breeders
return, and passage migrants make a brief spring appearance on the SPRNCA.
Breeding flycatchers, Cassin’s Kingbird and Ash-throated Flycatcher made their
first appearance for the season. We saw many Vermillion Flycatchers and Black
Phoebes in pairs or displaying. Passage flycatchers were Dusky, Hammond’s and
Gray Flycatchers, our Empid winter and passage group.

SPRNCA breeding warblers were seen and heard in great abundance, 29 Yellow
Warblers and 17 Lucy’s Warblers, many singing and some seen in pairs. There
were also a few Common Yellowthroats at Kingfisher Pond. The passage Yellow-
rumped Warblers were everywhere, 36 counted but I think we could have doubled
this number if we had concentrated on looking in the cottonwood canopy. A
couple of Wilson’s Warblers rounded out the warbler show.

For the month of April, the Friends of the San Pedro River will lead birding
walks EVERY Wednesday this month. The walks start at 7:00am and begin at the
BLM’s San Pedro House off AZ Highway 90 just west of the San Pedro River. The
walks last about three hours. Bring your own binoculars, a hat and water.

The next San Pedro River birding walk is next Wednesday, 17 April, at 7:00am.

You can see our ebird list at: https://ebird.org/checklist/S168041595

See you there.

Pete Siminski

Date: 4/10/24 8:47 am
From: p c <pcollinsca48...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]SEAZ: Tubac Hawk Watch - Ron Morriss Park, Tubac, AZ 04/09/24
External Email

SEAZ: Tubac Hawk Watch - Ron Morriss Park, Tubac, AZ 04/09/24
Season 12: Episode 040924 - Everything Old is New Again

TL:DR
Migrating Raptors
Broad-winged Hawk 2
Zone-tailed Hawk 1
Gray Hawk 2
Swainson’s Hawk 4
Turkey Vulture 1

Other Raptors
Short-tailed Hawk
Cooper’s Hawk
Black Vulture
Red-tailed Hawk
Peregrine Falcon

Other
American White Pelican
White-faced Ibis

Dawn uncovered a cloudless sky over Ron Morriss Park as I looked east and south through the stained glass art window in my walk-up apartment over a Tubac art gallery. The April migration had settled into small flights of the old familiar raptors we have been seeing since early March.

HWI#2 struggled for a few seconds with a Gray Hawk that didn’t seem quite right as it flew north, low over the river cottonwoods. There was delighted surprise in his voice as he announced the season’s first Broad-winged Hawk. The three of us studied the light morph adult bird, one of the rarer migrants that had enticed us to soldier on counting into April.
HWI#1 located a second Broadwing 30 minutes later and we studied again.

An odd looking, presumed Turkey Vulture schooled us in reliable raptor id as it turned into our first young Zonetail, the lack of white tail bars forcing us back to more subtle features for identification.

We thought about the imminent id challenges ahead. Dark Shorttail versus dark Broadwing, young (brown) Gray Hawks versus young Broadwings, young (brown) Black Hawks against our inexperience with them. A collection of tests unique to Tubac for which even our favorite hawk watching reference, "Hawks at a Distance”, might offer scant advice. The joy in these thoughts pushed aside our fear of the approaching 90 degree weather.

Something white and round appeared in the west sky. This faux cloud sparkled and merged with another transforming from the day’s first cloud into a large ball of American White Pelicans. We counted 120 as they drifted north. These along with several large flocks of White-faced Ibis gave hope to those bemoaning the sparse spring bird migration thus far.

Local Gray Hawks, Cooper’s Hawks, Swainson’s Hawks and Redtails tapped danced across the sky offering us dramatic display flights as nesting time approaches.

The Buddhist came by in the afternoon for one last gaze at the raptors of Tubac before heading east for more migrating raptors, warblers and shorebirds there.

A Peregrine noisily dove into the weed field west of us and carried off some unfortunate creature.

The day concluded with the dark Shorttail and a Zonetail streaming together to the north. With over a month of dark Shorttail sightings this bird may be eligible for legal residency status in Tubac.

Peter Collins
Vail, AZ

Back to top
Date: 4/9/24 8:31 pm
From: John Williams <john...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]Ibis flock; Arthur Pack Walk
External Email

In Tucson, shortly after 1PM, near the junction of 1st and River, a flock of White-faced Ibis flew rather low overhead. There were approximately 30. They were heading westerly. Might end up at El Rio open space in that direction.

At Arthur Pack Park in NW Tucson, a pair of Long-billed Dowitchers showed up. They have been on and off over the past 10 days or so.
The Great Horned Owl is still sitting on the nest, surviving the recent high wind days.
Ducks are thinning except for Ruddys. Yesterday a Bufflehead was the first I’ve seen in weeks.
Lucy’s Warblers are vocalizing everywhere. White-crowns and Yellow-rumps haven’t left yet.
A Green-tailed Towhee was a nice find.Home Page: https://list.arizona.edu/sympa/info/aznmbirds

Back to top
Date: 4/9/24 6:04 pm
From: Betsy Checchia <betsy.checchia...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]Central NM -- Rio Grande Nature Center State Park, Albuquerque, 8 April
External Email

Hiked around the Rio Grande Nature Center State Park yesterday late
morning. 43 species total, including a good assortment of ducks (10 Wood
Ducks, 8 males, 2 females), Osprey, Violet Green and Barn Swallows, Hermit
Thrush, and a couple of Lucy's Warblers. I found a small flock of sparrows
(and one Hermit Thrush) that I assumed were White-crowned, but was
pleasantly surprised to find that most of them were White-throated (bird of
the day). I also found a porcupine high in a Cottonwood tree -- the first
one I've seen in New Mexico.

Today I saw my FOS Swainson's Hawks -- one off I-25 near the Isleta Casino,
and another off I-256 near the airport.

Link to yesterday's eBird report: https://ebird.org/checklist/S167945136

Betsy Checchia
South Valley, ABQ

Back to top
Date: 4/9/24 10:49 am
From: david johnson <desertsage88056...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]FOS male Lucifer hummingbird Portal AZ
External Email

A male Lucifer hummingbird came to the feeders shortly after the end of the
eclipse on the 8th April.

Back to top
Date: 4/9/24 9:04 am
From: Diane Drobka <sunny1az...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]BLM Event: BLM to hold virtual information forum for solar proposals in Phoenix and Gila Districts
External Email

View the announcement on our website

For more information, please contact J. Chris Wonderly

Public Affairs Specialist

Bureau of Land Management - Phoenix District Office

phone: 602-818-8295

email:<jwonderly...>

Event Description

The Bureau of Land Management will host a virtual forum to share information and receive public input on right-of-way applications for three proposed solar projects. The projects are within designated solar variance areas in Pinal and Yavapai counties.

- TheTAP Solar Project would develop up to 400 megawatts of solar energy generation and battery energy storage systems, on about 1,488 acres of BLM-managed land about 8.6 miles west of the city of Maricopa in Pinal County.
- TheYellow Cups Solar Project would develop a 500-megawatt solar energy facility and battery storage system on 5,148 acres of BLM-managed land in the Gila District, about 9.5 miles southeast of Florence in Pinal County.
- TheThistle Solar Project would develop a 500-megawatt solar generating facility with battery storage on about 8,200 acres of BLM-managed lands about 10 miles north of Aguila in Yavapai County.

The virtual public meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, April 17 at 5 p.m., and is expected to last about 90 minutes. Participants canregister in advance via Zoom. BLM staff will provide a short introduction followed by a presentation from the project applicants. Members of the public are invited to ask questions and provide input on the proposal. The meeting will be recorded and posted to the BLM Arizona YouTube channel.

As part of the solar variance application process, the BLM gathers information during the public input period and uses that input to inform the BLM’s determination on whether to continue processing the application. If the BLM continues to process a solar variance application, it will be subject to the National Environmental Policy Act review process, including environmental review and additional opportunities for public involvement.

Interested parties may also submit comments until May 23, via email <atBLM_AZ_PDO_Solar...> (preferred) or via mail to the Phoenix District Office, Attn: Matt Drahnak, 2020 E. Bell Road, Phoenix, AZ 85022. Project information, including maps and preliminary environmental screening, is available on the BLM National NEPA Register.

Jennifer Jones

Assisting the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) under a Cooperative Agreement with NEWSolutions

Acting Public Affairs Officer, Gila District

Experienced Services Program

Email:<jenniferjones...>

Mobile: 986-256-4263

Back to top
Date: 4/8/24 7:29 am
From: p c <pcollinsca48...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]SEAZ: Tubac Hawk Watch - Ron Morriss Park, Tubac, AZ 04/01/24
External Email

SEAZ: Tubac Hawk Watch - Ron Morriss Park, Tubac, AZ 04/01/24
Season 12: Episode 0401 - The Fool on the Hill

TL;DR
Migrating Raptors
Swainson’s Hawk 13
Gray Hawk 1
Red-tailed Hawk 2
Cooper’s Hawk 2
Turkey Vulture 8

Other Raptors
Black Vulture
Kestrel

Thanks to the thoughtfulness of a pair of botanists, I found myself on a second story veranda up the hill in Tubac overlooking the river and the valley to the east at sunrise. At least I think it was sunrise. Clouds and rain blocked any view of the sun, though a rainbow west of the highway suggested some source of sunlight must exist. Clouds sealed off the rest of the sky by 8:00 and I sent a photo of the deluge falling over all of Tubac to the HWI counters in Green Valley. We agreed to a delayed opening and I went inside for a second breakfast. The count opened at 9, but I lingered on my new perch. Before I could fly down to the park the counters retreated, closing the count until the rain cleared.

At 10 there was a break in the storm. I hurried to the park, just in case. Exiting the restrooms there, I found a rufous Swainson’s Hawk approaching from the south, flying low over the nearby evergreens. I tracked it overhead figuring this was likely the only migrant for today.
As it moved further north on a strange angle to the east, I suddenly realized it was heading for eight other Swainson’s Hawks lifting off from trees around the park, forming the season’s largest Swainson’s kettle. We added another Swainson’s and a Turkey Vulture during this short interlude. We were in and out of the tent the rest of the day, dodging the rain.

After enjoying a warm lunch of eggplant parmigiana delivered by yet another Tubac Easter Bunny, a second lull in the storm gave us a few more birds. One of the local Swainson’s Hawks sat on the northwest utility pole surveying the crazy humans who thought there might be a few migrating raptors flying today.

Peter Collins
Vail, AZ

Back to top
Date: 4/7/24 7:38 pm
From: Erika Wilson <terika88...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]SEAZ: Sierra Vista EOP--07 Apr 2024
External Email

Hi, birders,

A group of 13 birdrs (from AZ, OR, and England) walked the Sierra Vista EOP
dikes this morning, with bright sun and no wind, in vivid contrast with the
weather of the past few Sundays. Better conditions led to better birding,
with a leap up to 83 species, versus 53 species last week. Spring is
obviously underway, with declining numbers of ducks and a dozen new
arrivals for the year.

Shorebirds, swallows, and flycatchers were the main source of new arrivals.
In addition to the usual Killdeer and Wilson's Snipe, there were three
Least Sandpipers, a Lesser Yellowlegs, and a Greater Yellowlegs. An adult
Black-crowned Night-Heron joined two Great Blue Herons, and the White-faced
Ibis flock swelled from 9 birds last week to 55 birds this morning, all of
them aloft at one point, moving in sedate loops before settling.

The flycatcher roster doubled, with Ash-throated Flycatcher, Cassin's
Kingbirds, and Western Kingbirds joining the Black Phoebes, Say's Phoebes,
and the intensely Vermilion Flycatchers. Two different Cassin's Vireos were
seen early in the trees around the animal shelter and front gate. This was
only the 4th record for the Sunday EOP walks, and the first since 2019.
It was a six swallow morning when a few Violet-green and Bank Swallows
were spotted among the N. Rough-winged, Barn, Tree, and Cliff Swallows, all
busily skimming over the cattail impoundments. The warbler count was four,
with a Yellow Warbler and a dozen Lucy's Warblers augmenting the singing
Common Yellowthroats and the calling Yellow-rumped Warblers.

Date: 4/6/24 2:04 pm
From: Steven Tracey <straceyflash...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]SEAZ: FSPR bonus trip to Millville plus upcoming birding event
External Email

Hi Birders,

This morning the Friends of the San Pedro River sponsored a bonus spring
walk at the Millville trailhead in the San Pedro River National
Conservation Area. We had 16 participants ranging from locals to visitors
from New York, Ohio, Virginia, New Mexico and Texas. Given the recent
weather we were happy to find the area cool, but not cold and breezy but
not windy. In total we found 38 species. Highlights included some nice
looks at Gray Hawks circling overhead, a very cooperative Belted Kingfisher
and singing Canyon Wrens. The river had plenty of warblers with Yellow,
Yellow-rumped and Lucy's all with numerous sightings plus a single
Orange-crowned and a few of us were quick enough to get on a Virginia's
Warbler.

On April 27 the FSPR will be sponsoring the "Celebrate the San Pedro"
festival which includes a morning bird challenge. Groups will meet at
7:00AM at five different SPRNCA access points (San Pedro House, Millville,
Hereford Bridge, Waters Rd., Escapule Wash). No fees or registration
required, just show up to your favorite SPRNCA birding spot and join in on
the fun. All levels of birders are welcome and encouraged. General
information can be found on the FSPR Facebook Page:

(20+) Friends of The San Pedro River | Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/fspraz/events>

Or, on the FSPR website, a pdf with all the details.

2024-03-Celebrate-the-San-Pedro.pdf (sanpedroriver.org)
<http://sanpedroriver.org/wpfspr/wp-content/uploads/2024/03/2024-03-Celebrate-the-San-Pedro.pdf>

Also, a reminder that San Pedro House bird walks happen every Wednesday in
the month of April at 7:00AM. The next walk is 4/10/24.

Steve Tracey
Hereford, AZ

Back to top
Date: 4/6/24 12:03 am
From: Andrew Core <tucsonrba...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]RBA Tucson, AZ - 5 April 2024
External Email

Hello Birders,

This update of Tucson Audubon Society's Rare Bird Alert for Southeast
Arizona was made on April 5, 2024; the next update will be made on April
12. Email your reports to rarebirdalert AT tucsonaudubon.org.

[...]

*MAGNIFICENT FRIGATEBIRD
#Short-tailed Hawk
#Least Tern
*ELEGANT TERN
#Ruddy Ground Dove
#White-eared Hummingbird
#Berylline Hummingbird
#Green Kingfisher
#Pacific Wren
#Brown Thrasher
#Tennessee Warbler
*CAPE MAY WARBLER
#Black-throated Blue Warbler
#Golden-crowned Sparrow

SANTA CRUZ FLATS
Two *ELEGANT TERNS were photographed at Arizona City Lake on 4/5 (Ronnie
Reed).

GREEN VALLEY & the SANTA RITAS
A *MAGNIFICENT FRIGATEBIRD was reported along I-19 in Green Valley on 3/31
(Cathy Beck).
In Madera Canyon (map: http://goo.gl/dXBYP), a #BERYLLINE HUMMINGBIRD
continued at both the Madera Kubo Lodge this week (m.ob.).

PATAGONIA
The *CAPE MAY WARBLER continued this week through 4/3 (m.ob.), most
reliably being seen along SR82 (Naugle Ave) on the southwest side of town;
it has often been seen in the vicinity of the dispensary at 436 Naugle. A
#TENNESSEE WARBLER was reported near the old treatment plant on Costello Dr
on 4/5 (Beth Bruckheimer).
#RUDDY GROUND-DOVES continued at the Paton Center for Hummingbirds this
week (m.ob.).
At Patagonia Lake (annotated map: http://goo.gl/GgNvs), #GREATER SCAUP
continued along the Birding Trail at the east end of the lake through 3/30
(Joe Mahaffey).

AMADO
A #GREATER SCAUP continued at the Amado STP this week (m.ob.). A #LEAST
TERN was reported on 4/1 (m.ob.).

WILLCOX & the SULPHUR SPRINGS VALLEY
A #SURF SCOTER was reported at Lake Cochise by the Twin Lakes Golf Course
in Willcox on 4/5 (Thomas Bürgi) and was photographed later in the day
(Peggy Steffens).

TUBAC area (annotated map: http://goo.gl/maps/yDqi0)
A dark morph #SHORT-TAILED HAWK continued at the Tubac Hawk Watch at Ron
Morriss Park through 3/31 (Peter Collins).
#GREEN KINGFISHERS continued along the Santa Cruz River between Santa
Gertrudis Lane and Chavez Siding Rd this week (m.ob.).

DOUGLAS area
A #GREEN KINGFISHER was reported at San Bernardino NWR on 4/4 (Richard
Webster). Annotated map: https://goo.gl/uX96Pw

SIERRA VISTA & the HUACHUCAS
A #WHITE-EARED HUMMINGBIRD was photographed at Ash Canyon Bird Sanctuary on
4/5 (m.ob.).
A #PACIFIC WREN was recorded in Huachuca Canyon at the 1.7-mile parking
area on 3/30 (Shawn Miller).
A #GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW continued at the Battiste Bed & Breakfast this
week (m.ob.).

PORTAL & the CHIRICAHUAS (annotated map: http://goo.gl/maps/XfXfX)
A #BROWN THRASHER continued in a Whitetail Canyon yard this week (Rick
Taylor).
A #BROWN THRASHER continued at Cave Creek Ranch this week (m.ob.).
A #BLACK-THROATED BLUE WARBLER continued at the Southwestern Research
Station on 4/3 (m.ob.).

Date: 4/5/24 6:31 pm
From: Betsy Checchia <betsy.checchia...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]Central NM -- Isleta Pueblo Today
External Email

Driving south on Isleta Blvd (Rte 314) toward the Pueblo this afternoon, I
stopped to look at a flooded field on the east side of the road about 0.4
miles south of the I-25 overpass. Counted 1 Long-billed Curlew, 5
Ring-billed Gulls, 7 White-faced Ibis, 35 Great-tailed Grackles, and 48
Western Cattle Egrets, most in breeding plumage. There must have been some
good grub in the mud!

Betsy Checchia
South Valley, ABQ

Back to top
Date: 4/5/24 9:39 am
From: Helen Leslie Hall <hlesliehall...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]Frigatebirds?
External Email

This morning at Tempe High School at about 6:00 a.m. coming from the
southwest flying NE I saw 3 large birds flying together, very, very high.
They had long tails big angular looking wings. What came to mind was a
frigate bird. Anyone else see these very unlikely birds or something
similar?

Back to top
Date: 4/3/24 10:28 pm
From: John Williams <john...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]Marana Owls Question
External Email

This afternoon I cruised by the owl preserve along Stingray Drive in Marana
On the way in I noted 5 Burrowing Owls. On the way out, I noted 9 owls, including a red one.
Now a review of my field guides does not discuss or illustrate a red morph.
I’d like to know if anyone has any experience with this rather odd plumage. It was similar coloration to the red morph Eastern Screech Owl.
It dropped down from view before I could attempt a photo. It was using a burrow on the south west.
There are also many tent structures, I suspect, protecting new burrows

In the lagoons, I saw a pair of Mallards, a Say’s Phoebe and a Great Egret.
Near the road entrance a FOY Western Kingbird was hawking.

The farm on N Lucket Rd had numbers of Red-winged, Brewer’s and Yellow-headed Blackbirds to add to my April list.

Last Saturday at Arthur Pack Park I encountered two Western Diamondback Rattlesnakes.

John R Williams

Back to top
Date: 4/3/24 2:21 pm
From: Richard Bansberg <rbansberg...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]Birding Walk at San Pedro House
External Email

A quick note…….there will be a birding walk this Saturday morning (4/6) at the Millville access point for the SPRNCA off Charleston Road. Details are provided at the end of this report.

This morning 16 birders found 50 species while walking the trails at the San Pedro House. First-of-season birds included Swainson’s Hawk, Western Flycatcher, Bell’s Vireo, Broad-billed Hummingbird and Blue-gray Gnatcatcher. There was a notable increase in both Yellow and Yellow-rumped Warblers with 33 of the former and 34 of the latter recorded during the walk. The continuing Gilded Flicker was present in the cottonwood on the west side of the house and two Gray Hawks were spotted circling high over the SPRNCA.

The Friends of the San Pedro River will lead birding walks every Wednesday during April. The walks start at 7:00 am from the BLM’s San Pedro House off AZ Highway 90 just west of the San Pedro River. The walks last about 3 hours. Bring your own binoculars, a hat and water.

NOTE: There will also be a birding walk on Saturday April 6 at 7:00AM at the Millville access point for the SPRNCA. The Millville parking lot is located about 0.25 miles east of the San Pedro River on the left side of Charleston Road. Please note that this is not the popular pull-off parking area on the right side of the road just over the bridge. Go a bit farther and look for the entrance on the left.

Richard Bansberg

Date: 4/2/24 7:18 am
From: jghiggins <jghiggins...>
Subject: Re: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]Willcox Playa Lithium Mining
External Email

Is the possible lithium mining going to interfere with NASAs plans to use willcox playa as emergency landing site?John HigginsSent from my Galaxy
-------- Original message --------From: John Gwilliam <bbwd...> Date: 4/2/24 8:15 AM (GMT-07:00) To: Richard Ditch <richardditch...> Cc: AZ List <AZNMBirds...>, Jackie Lewis <winjac12...> Subject: Re: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]Willcox Playa Lithium Mining External EmailYou make a good point, Richard. I think a domestic source of lithium would be beneficial to the USA so we’re not dependent on foreign sources. On Apr 1, 2024, at 9:52 PM, Richard Ditch <richardditch...> wrote:External EmailSure.We can stop using- electric cars- smart phones- cordless phones- laptops- cameras- cordless vacuums- cordless power toolsRichard DitchPhoenix, AZ
On Apr 1, 2024, at 6:26 PM, Jackie Lewis <winjac12...> wrote:External EmailAdmin - delete if you feel inappropriate.This is really slipping in through the cracks.  BLM approved.  I don't know what we can do - does anyone have an idea?Jackie LewisParadise, AZSierra Vista LIVE is in Willcox, AZ.  · Drilling will continue at the Willcox Playa:The Bureau of Land Management has awarded permits to Max Power for the next drilling area after a favorable assessment from the first phase. Wide-spacing drilling encountered lithium-rich clays in the playa, and the next phase will be to start drilling on the south end of the 6 mile stretch. Phase 1 consisted of 5 hole with a total of 6,000 feet.The company said the 50 sq. mile Willcox Playa to be highly prospective for a large near-surface lithium claystone deposit. Mr. Peter Lauder, Senior Geologist and Exploration Manager for MAX Power, said, “The southern block on BLM ground features the largest and most extreme anomalies on MAX Power’s property. This bodes very well for extending the discovery of clay-rich sediments with high lithium values. We’re very pleased to receive these drill permits.”The drilling started in December 2023. The first drill hole was approximately 5 miles southeast of an historic U.S. Geological Survey hole completed in the 1970s and represents the start of first-ever systematic diamond drilling on the Playa;After limited drilling in the 1970s, the playa was historically referenced by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) as one of the most prospective locations for lithium in the western United States, similar in its potential to Clayton Valley, Nevada, and the lithium brine and claystone deposits that have been identified there. Decades of U.S. Air Force activity in the Willcox Playa ended. Additional article with map: MAX Power Acquires Lithium Exploration Permits, Willcox Playa, Southeastern Arizona, USA - Max Power Mining Corp AND tentatively in New Mexico between Road Forks & Lordsburg (pumping groundwater for evaporation) Lordsburg’s dry lakes eyed for lithium production - Silvercity Daily Press (scdailypress.com) Home Page: https://list.arizona.edu/sympa/info/aznmbirdsTo unsubscribe use the Unsubscribe button on that page.To view archive: click "Archive" on that page.Home Page: https://list.arizona.edu/sympa/info/aznmbirdsTo unsubscribe use the Unsubscribe button on that page.To view archive: click "Archive" on that page.Home Page: https://list.arizona.edu/sympa/info/aznmbirds

Back to top
Date: 4/2/24 7:15 am
From: John Gwilliam <bbwd...>

Back to top
Date: 4/1/24 7:52 pm
From: Richard Ditch <richardditch...>
> [...]

> Additional article with map:
> MAX Power Acquires Lithium Exploration Permits, Willcox Playa, Southeastern Arizona, USA - Max Power Mining Corp <https://www.maxpowermining.com/max-power-acquires-permits-willcox-playa/>
>
> AND tentatively in New Mexico between Road Forks & Lordsburg (pumping groundwater for evaporation)
> Lordsburg’s dry lakes eyed for lithium production - Silvercity Daily Press (scdailypress.com) <https://www.scdailypress.com/2023/10/31/lordsburgs-dry-lakes-eyed-lithium-production/?fbclid=IwAR1PYRhAJLd7jMYYLHMfAsw51VrA8S83WlZZy4xzcDsU2J6un_qxMGvdTAo_aem_AebGKddFfooR_skOxYq4-h_SdAV-kmCrfmss9f6Trxw9iEMyN8ZlWK5c5dT1l6IV2eQROfK69YyaoFcS3Bb3dOsJ>

Back to top
Date: 4/1/24 7:09 pm
From: Jeff Wakefield <imissariz...>
External Email

More foreign interest allowed in the door...you can bet there is more money in someone's pocket that is supposed to be watching out for us/serving us...

Date: 4/1/24 6:26 pm
From: Jackie Lewis <winjac12...>

[ https://www.facebook.com/SierraVistaLive?__cft__[0]=AZV26JYKWOpBeT1EsiumO2aan8sE4LrjPeWgIWNyuhmvHJ2Injyh3tXj8iGRWCoKoQ6_L3HmjxpH0SkI7xo2wifbOmkTjMofbBOUtgvG-L8yc_a2x2OYfgy4aqQTPGVbTb23PpyB4UVFH0iHUoqgFSXkfo_H9RSPu4iy5PEtbcRqWRe8MSjmVjhhT12eukXMME_3QcRKldPnHOmCJpwwdWb2&__tn__=-]C%2CP-y-R | Sierra Vista LIVE ] is in [ https://www.facebook.com/Willcox-Arizona-105521389480392/?__cft__[0]=AZV26JYKWOpBeT1EsiumO2aan8sE4LrjPeWgIWNyuhmvHJ2Injyh3tXj8iGRWCoKoQ6_L3HmjxpH0SkI7xo2wifbOmkTjMofbBOUtgvG-L8yc_a2x2OYfgy4aqQTPGVbTb23PpyB4UVFH0iHUoqgFSXkfo_H9RSPu4iy5PEtbcRqWRe8MSjmVjhhT12eukXMME_3QcRKldPnHOmCJpwwdWb2&__tn__=kC%2CP-y-R | Willcox, AZ ] .
[...]
[ https://www.maxpowermining.com/max-power-acquires-permits-willcox-playa/ | MAX Power Acquires Lithium Exploration Permits, Willcox Playa, Southeastern Arizona, USA - Max Power Mining Corp ]

AND tentatively in New Mexico between Road Forks & Lordsburg (pumping groundwater for evaporation)
[ https://www.scdailypress.com/2023/10/31/lordsburgs-dry-lakes-eyed-lithium-production/?fbclid=IwAR1PYRhAJLd7jMYYLHMfAsw51VrA8S83WlZZy4xzcDsU2J6un_qxMGvdTAo_aem_AebGKddFfooR_skOxYq4-h_SdAV-kmCrfmss9f6Trxw9iEMyN8ZlWK5c5dT1l6IV2eQROfK69YyaoFcS3Bb3dOsJ | Lordsburg’s dry lakes eyed for lithium production - Silvercity Daily Press (scdailypress.com) ]

Back to top
Date: 4/1/24 4:40 pm
From: Doug Jenness <dougjenness...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]'Arizona Birds'--April Species of the Month posted
External Email

4/1/24

Arizona Birds <https://arizonabirds.org/index.html>, the online,
peer-reviewed journal of the Arizona Field Ornithologists, has posted the April
Species of the Month,
<https://arizonabirds.org/journal/2024/arizona-birds-species-of-the-month-pinyon-jay.pdf>
which features Pinyon Jay. This species is of growing concern throughout
its range in western North America, including Arizona. Every few months the
Species of the Month will highlight a species of conservation concern.

While you're checking out this new article, you may want to look at the
recently posted article on Arizona Bird Highlights: Fall 2023
<https://arizonabirds.org/journal/2024/arizona-birds-2023-fall-highlights.pdf>
.

Doug Jenness
Tucson, AZ

Back to top
Date: 4/1/24 6:13 am
From: henry detwiler <henry_detwiler...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]SWAZ: Trumpeter Swan
External Email

Greetings Birders,

This morning I greeted the rising sun at Imperial NWR, and was happy to find this fabulous TRUMPETER SWAN, my first for Yuma County. At first I thought TUNDRA SWAN, but a quick glance confirmed it was without a doubt a TRUMPETER. I posted a photo here:https://www.southwestbirders.com/TrumpeterSwan.jpg
Yesterday the Solar Ponds had two LUCY'S WARBLERS, an early BLACK TERN, and a VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOW (quite rare in Yuma County).

Date: 4/1/24 3:15 am
From: <pgoltz...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]Southern Arizona, new bird found
External Email

For want of a better name, I'm calling it the Kingfish Bird, until
Cornell University decides on what it should really be called.

Drawing here:

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/kingfish-bird-pat-goltz.html

Good birding,
Pat Goltz

Back to top
Date: 3/31/24 7:49 pm
From: Erika Wilson <terika88...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]SEAZ: Sierra Vista EOP--31 Mar 2024
External Email

Hi, birders,

Seven folks walked the Sierra Vista EOP dikes this morning, noting some 53
species, despite strong winds which kept most of the birds hunkered down.
For the first time since mid-December 2023, the melanistic N. Harrier was
not seen, nor were any other harriers about today.

It was a routine day, with few surprises. Right on schedule was a small
flock of White-faced Ibis (9)--the first record for this year. Duck numbers
continue to decline, although there were still ten species about. As for
the past few weeks, rail numbers were low with only two Soras heard
calling, and no Virginia Rails. Shorebirds noted were 5 each of Killdeer
and Wilson's Snipe.

Swallow numbers were up--three quarters of them Barn Swallows. It was
interesting to see 50+ Barn Swallows, all facing into the wind, huddled
among the rocks on a berm slope somewhat sheltered with the main force of
the wind. A fresh, brightly plumaged Tree Swallow among them really caught
the eye, with its blue-green head and pure white breast. Sparrow counts
were 1-3 birds for each of four species--not a sparrow day. The only
warblers were a few Com Yellowthroats calling from the cattails.

Date: 3/31/24 12:14 pm
From: Marcia Lincoln <boahiss...>
Subject: Re: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]White-winged Dove
External Email

Ina/Silverbell area here. Haven't heard or seen one yet this year.
Marcia

Date: 3/31/24 12:00 pm
From: Deanna Mac Phail <deanna.macphail...>

Date: 3/30/24 6:05 pm
From: Darlene Smyth <dsmyth3...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]RE: WWDO
External Email

Thank you all for your input into the disappearance of many of these doves. According to the SEAZ Bar Charts, these birds should have been in our area is high numbers since the beginning of March. It is good that at least some are around but perhaps we need to pay attention to even the humble doves and their habitat.

Darlene Smyth
Tucson, AZ

Back to top
Date: 3/30/24 4:28 pm
From: Andrew Core <tucsonrba...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]RBA Tucson, AZ - 30 March 2024
External Email

Hello Birders,

This update of Tucson Audubon Society's Rare Bird Alert for Southeast
Arizona was made on March 30, 2024; the next update will be made on April
5. Email your reports to rarebirdalert AT tucsonaudubon.org.

[...]

#Semipalmated Sandpiper
#Ruddy Ground Dove
#Berylline Hummingbird
#Green Kingfisher
#Winter Wren
#Pacific Wren
#Black-capped Gnatcatcher
#Rufous-backed Robin
#Gray Catbird
#Brown Thrasher
*CAPE MAY WARBLER
#Black-throated Blue Warbler
*PINE WARBLER
#Golden-crowned Sparrow

PATAGONIA
The *CAPE MAY WARBLER continued this week, most reliably being seen along
SR82 (Naugle Ave) on the southwest side of town; it has often been seen in
the vicinity of the dispensary at 436 Naugle.
#RUDDY GROUND-DOVES continued at the Paton Center for Hummingbirds this
week (m.ob.).
At Patagonia Lake (annotated map: http://goo.gl/GgNvs), #GREATER SCAUP
continued along the Birding Trail at the east end of the lake this week
(m.ob.); a #BLACK-CAPPED GNATCATCHER was reported on 3/26 (m.ob.).
#RUFOUS-BACKED ROBINS continued along Blue Haven Road between the Patons
and the Patagonia-Sonoita Creek Preserve and at the Preserve this week
(m.ob.). A #WINTER WREN was reported on 3/28 (Peter Siminski).

WILLCOX & the SULPHUR SPRINGS VALLEY
A *PINE WARBLER continued at Keiller Park in Willcox through 3/29 (m.ob.).

AMADO
A #GREATER SCAUP continued at the Amado STP this week (m.ob.).

TUBAC area (annotated map: http://goo.gl/maps/yDqi0)
A dark morph #SHORT-TAILED HAWK continued at the Tubac Hawk Watch at Ron
Morriss Park through 3/27 (m.ob.).
#GREEN KINGFISHERS continued along the Santa Cruz River between Santa
Gertrudis Lane and Chavez Siding Rd this week (m.ob.).
A #GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW was photographed in a neighborhood west of Tubac
on 3/26 (Dale Sweetnam).
A #BERYLLINE HUMMINGBIRD was reported from a private residence in Salero
Ranch on 3/24 (Tom Brown).

AJO
A #SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER was reported at the Ajo STP on 3/24 (Doug
Backlund) and continued through 3/26 (m.ob.).

GREEN VALLEY & the SANTA RITAS
In Madera Canyon (map: http://goo.gl/dXBYP), a #BERYLLINE HUMMINGBIRD
continued at both the Madera Kubo Lodge this week (m.ob.).

SIERRA VISTA & the HUACHUCAS
A #PACIFIC WREN was recorded in Huachuca Canyon at the 1.7-mile parking
area on 3/30 (Shawn Miller).
A #GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW continued at the Battiste Bed & Breakfast this
week (m.ob.).

TUCSON area
A #GRAY CATBIRD was reported in Tanque Verde Wash at Tanque Verde Loop Rd
on 3/30 (Ken Cooper).
A #BROWN THRASHER was photographed at WOW Arizona B&B in Catalina on 3/27
(Christopher Vincent).

PORTAL & the CHIRICAHUAS (annotated map: http://goo.gl/maps/XfXfX)
A #BROWN THRASHER continued in a Whitetail Canyon yard this week (Rick
Taylor).
A #BROWN THRASHER continued at Cave Creek Ranch this week (m.ob.).
A #BLACK-THROATED BLUE WARBLER continued at the Southwestern Research
Station on 3/30 (m.ob.).

Date: 3/30/24 7:04 am
From: p c <pcollinsca48...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]SEAZ: Tubac Hawk Watch - Ron Morriss Park, Tubac, AZ 03/28/24
External Email

SEAZ: Tubac Hawk Watch - Ron Morriss Park, Tubac, AZ 03/28/24
Season 12: Episode 032824 - Cheeseburger in Paradise

TL;DR
Migrating Raptors
Common Black Hawk 12
Zone-tailed Hawk 8
Gray Hawk 1
Swainson’s Hawk 36
Red-tailed Hawk 10
Cooper’s Hawk 2
American Kestrel 3
Turkey Vulture 59

Other Raptors
Black Vulture
Tree Ornament

Other
Reaper Drone

Another flurry of Swainson’s Hawks at 8:20 to start the morning. Small kettles of half a dozen hawks formed as individuals rose from nearby trees searching for thermals.

Fashionably late, the first Black Hawk passed by low showing off a variety of feather ages in its wings.

I saw the second Black Hawk pop out of the middle of a cottonwood tree behind the right field fence. A missing center tail feather evident, this split-tailed hawk crossed over the park moving west, turning north as it crossed the fence to the weed field. It answered the common question of whether migrating hawks eat as they travel by unloading a large fertilizer deposit close enough that only a southeast breeze kept me from running under the HWI tent.

A Kestrel was spotted on the wooden utility poles south of the park and waste water facility. Scopes confirmed it as a female. After a day's absence, it redecorated the leafless tree behind the backstop briefly. Sightings were scarce, but we cheered anyway deciding to credit the beginning of nesting rather than a Peregrine for its truancy.

Scanning an empty sky HWI counter 2 located our first Reaper drone of the season, flying east, perhaps to Sierra Vista.

Peter Collins,
Vail, AZ

Back to top
Date: 3/30/24 5:21 am
From: p c <pcollinsca48...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]SEAZ: Tubac Hawk Watch - Ron Morriss Park, Tubac, AZ 03/27/24
External Email

SEAZ: Tubac Hawk Watch - Ron Morriss Park, Tubac, AZ 03/27/24
Season 12: Episode 032724 - Blue Skies

TL;DR
Migrating Raptors
Common Black Hawk 7
Osprey 2
Zone-tailed Hawk 16
Gray Hawk 3
Swainson’s Hawk 37
Red-tailed Hawk 2
Cooper’s Hawk 1
Peregrine Falcon 1

Other Raptors
Short-tailed Hawk glimpse

Blue skies, the most difficult sky for finding raptors, smiled on us for a change today. A cadre of sharp eyed birders on spring break from Washington and Idaho proved helpful despite our failure to produce a Short-tailed Hawk for them. They graciously accepted a Green Kingfisher by the bridge as consolation.

Early departures again included Zonetails and Turkey Vultures, some of the Zonetails low as they crossed the park. Both the calendar and the weather cooperated to produce our first large passage of Swainson’s Hawks. Small groups of 5 or 6 hawks including dark and rufous varieties accumulated to yield our third best day for Swainson’s Hawks.

Common Black Hawks lingered in the trees before flying. Late in the afternoon three found the trees near the park satisfactory for an overnight stay.

Two Ospreys added to their record season.

Peter Collins
Vail, AZ

Back to top
Date: 3/29/24 2:54 pm
From: <bncthay...> <bncthay...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]White-winged Doves
External Email

----- Forwarded Message ----- From: <bncthay...> <bncthay...>To: AZ NM BIRD LIST <aznmbirds...>Sent: Friday, March 29, 2024 at 02:27:10 PM MSTSubject: WW Dovea
White-winged Doves have been slow to arrive in my foothills neighborhood as well. At Ft. Lowell Park, where often there are 10+ birds in winter this year I have usually only seen a couple of birds. I still have not seen/heard one at Sweetwater Wetlands this winter despite. frequent visits.

Craig ThayerTucson

Back to top
Date: 3/29/24 2:27 pm
From: <bncthay...> <bncthay...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]WW Dovea
External Email

Date: 3/29/24 1:13 pm
From: Brad Brockman <brockmanb...>
Subject: Re: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]White-winged Doves
External Email

I always keep the 2nd week of April on my calendar for the arrival of white
wings. I heard one a couple of weeks ago, but haven’t heard any since. I’m
sure the “masses” will be here soon

Brad Brockman

<")
( \
/ |``

Date: 3/29/24 1:10 pm
From: Jennifer Johnston <azjohnston...>
External Email

No White-winged Doves seen in my neighborhood yet around Meyer Park in Tempe yet. Typically, they start arriving the first week or so in March. I have not seen any in the Eastside Maricopa County Parks where I work either.

Sent from my iPhone

Date: 3/29/24 1:08 pm
From: Comcast <janines07...>
External Email

I’ve had white-winged doves in NW Tucson for a couple of weeks now.

Janine
Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 29, 2024, at 11:27 AM, Darlene Smyth <dsmyth3...> wrote:
>
> External Email
>
> Has anyone noticed the distinct lack of White-winged Doves this year? I do not have any of this species visiting my yard this year or my neighborhood. Usually, they show up in early March in good numbers. I actually like these attractive birds and their song. I just wonder if they are being overly hunted on their wintering grounds.
>
> Darlene Smyth

Back to top
Date: 3/29/24 12:00 pm
From: JEFF BRAKE <azcactuswren...>
External Email

I am still waiting on my FOS WW Dove at my home in the foothills of South Mtn in Phnx. My records also reflect they usually arrive in early March. Last year was on March 6th. I haven't noticed one while biking or driving in the area either.

Jeff Brake
phnx

> On 03/29/2024 2:26 PM EDT Darlene Smyth <dsmyth3...> wrote:
>

> External Email
>
> Has anyone noticed the distinct lack of White-winged Doves this year? I do not have any of this species visiting my yard this year or my neighborhood. Usually, they show up in early March in good numbers. I actually like these attractive birds and their song. I just wonder if they are being overly hunted on their wintering grounds.
>
> Darlene Smyth

Back to top
Date: 3/29/24 11:58 am
From: Deanna Mac Phail <deanna.macphail...>
External Email

Just saw my fos White-winged Dove in the yard this morning.
Deanna
West Side Tucson Mtns.

On Fri, Mar 29, 2024 at 11:27 AM Darlene Smyth <dsmyth3...> wrote:

> External Email
>
> Has anyone noticed the distinct lack of White-winged Doves this year? I
> do not have any of this species visiting my yard this year or my
> neighborhood. Usually, they show up in early March in good numbers. I
> actually like these attractive birds and their song. I just wonder if they
> are being overly hunted on their wintering grounds.
>
> Darlene Smyth

Back to top

Date: 3/28/24 9:25 pm
From: Rosie Watts <pinyonjay...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]Pantano Riverwalk vultures
External Email

Yesterday morning, Jim saw roughly 60 turkey vultures over the Riverwalk
from his view on the east side of Fort Lowell Park. Last evening at the
Riverwalk only a couple of birds to report.

This morning, Jim was treated to about 20 turkey vultures flying very low
overhead in the park near the pond.

We went to the Riverwalk this evening after our walk, only one bird in the
air, it was about 5:45. However Jim eventually is spotted several perched
birds quite a distance to the east. There were at least a dozen turkey
vultures in what appeared to be the tops of old eucalyptus trees.

Certainly can't set your clock based on if and when they'll be seen, but
it's fun to keep guessing and looking.

Happy Birding
Jim and Rosie Watts
Tucson, Arizona

Back to top
Date: 3/28/24 1:28 pm
From: henry detwiler <henry_detwiler...>
External Email

Greetings Birders,

The early migrants are moving through, and we've had a number of summer visitors return already. Yesterday (Mar 27th) proved to be my best morning ever in Yuma County--I had 92 species before noon! I started out at Mittry Lake, where I first picked up all the rails: BLACK, SORA, VIRGINIA, and RIDGWAY'S. A good selection of waterfowl, LEBI, and swallows added to the count. LUCY'S WARBLERS have returned, and WILSON'S are passing through. At the West Wetlands I re-located the continuing BLACK AND WHITE WARBLER.  A nice surprise at Cocopah RV was a female RUDDY GROUND-DOVE. But in the ag fields south of town, after noon, I struggled to add just two more species: SWAINSON'S and RED-TAILED HAWKS. I also found, to my disappointment, that the Wood Ducks had departed Coyote Wash. Close to Tacna I finally added a couple more species, LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE and SAGE THRASHER. And there were another two RUDDY GROUND DOVES, including a handsome male! At the McElhaney slop pond was an early WILSON'S PHALAROPE. My final stop was at the Solar Pond west of Wellton, where there is again water and the birds are back. AMERICAN AVOCETS and a COMMON GOLDENEYE were my final additions, to bring my total to 105 species for the day.
I stopped by the Solar Ponds again this morning and photographed a GREATER SCAUP there.
Last week I was finally able to track down the GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW at the Yuma East Wetlands, and for two days we had a visiting BROAD-BILLED HUMMINGBIRD in our backyard.
A couple of eBird reports with photos:https://ebird.org/checklist/S166196416https://ebird.org/checklist/S166254725

Date: 3/28/24 6:43 am
From: p c <pcollinsca48...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]SEAZ: Tubac Hawk Watch - Ron Morriss Park, Tubac, AZ 03/26/24
External Email

SEAZ: Tubac Hawk Watch - Ron Morriss Park, Tubac, AZ 03/26/24
Season 12: Episode 0326 - I Want to Take You Higher

TL;DR
Migrating Raptors
Osprey 1
Common Black Hawk 15
Zone-tailed Hawk 31
Red-tailed Hawk 19
Swainson’s Hawk 3
Cooper’s Hawk 2
American Kestrel 2
Peregrine Falcon 1
Turkey Vulture 134

Other Raptors
Gray Hawk
Short-tailed Hawk

Raptors were ready to fly early today as the spate of unsettled weather eased. First up were kettles of Zonetails. Observers noted how a few Turkey Vultures tried to blend into the kettles by imitating the look and flight of Zonetails. The vultures could chose any one of 17 Zonetails to mimic.
Zonetails continued through out the day. Pairs of Zonetails entertained us with high altitude, high speed display flights over the park. Today’s 31 Zonetails is the new single day record.

An Osprey wandered by, the 14th, establishing a new season high count, pushing past last year’s record count.

Black Hawks thought they could pass north unnoticed by crossing over so high that only the fortuitous presence of clouds betrayed them. Such tiny silhouettes - I sought reassurance. Each time observers skilled with scopes and cameras verified our proclamations.

The dark Short-tailed Hawk returned to the park after its day of rest.

Late in the afternoon, the local female kestrel was hovering, hunting the weed field south west of the watch. A Peregrine dove. A burst of feathers obscured the view, leaving us uncertain.
We fear the leafless tree behind the ballpark backstop has lost its most noted ornament.

Peter Collins
Vail, AZ

Back to top
Date: 3/27/24 3:12 pm
From: Steven Tracey <straceyflash...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]SEAZ: San Pedro House Bird Walk plus upcoming bird walk schedule
External Email

Hi Birders,

Note that we have a really busy and exciting schedule of birding events
coming up in April around the San Pedro Riparian National Conservation
Area. Please take a look at the end of this email to get the details if
you are interested in doing some San Pedro River birding in April. But
first...

This morning 11 birders from AZ, Wisconsin, and Nevada found 46 species
walking the trails adjacent to the San Pedro House. While the weather
lately around these parts hasn't felt much like spring, the birds seem to
be ignoring that and we had a nice show of first-of-season birds.
Highlights included the arrival of Gray Hawks, Yellow Warblers, and Lucy's
Warblers, all of which were vocalizing along the river. We kept our eyes
open to the skies above us in hopes for a black hawk, but no luck. We were
however rewarded with our first Turkey Vulture of the year as well as a
nice look at a passing Zone-tailed Hawk. We thought our duck sightings
would be highlighted by a Ring-necked Duck in Black Phoebe Pond, but to our
surprise we found a Wood Duck pair later in the river. This is the first
time in quite a long time we have found them on the walk.

And now for the upcoming schedule:
1. Starting in April the San Pedro House Bird Walks will occur on EVERY
Wednesday in the month with a start time of 7:00AM.

2. We will be having a bonus walk on Saturday April 6 at 7:00AM at the
Millville access portion of the SPRNCA. The Millville parking lot is
located about 0.25 miles east of the San Pedro River on the left side of
Charleston Rd. Please note that this is not the popular pull-off parking
area on the right side of the road just over the bridge. Go a bit farther
and look for the entrance on the left.

3. The Friends of the San Pedro River will be hosting a special "Celebrate
the San Pedro" festival on April 27. Along with several other fun
activities, part of the celebration will be a birding big day on the SPRNCA
property, highlighted by a birding big morning team challenge where you
will be able to join one of five teams at different access points along the
San Pedro River to see how many birds we can find. More details will be
posted on the Friends of the San Pedro River facebook page and I will
provide more on this forum as we get closer. For now, if you are
interested, just hold the morning of April 27 from 7:00AM until lunch time
for this event.

The Friends of the San Pedro River leads birding walks on every Wednesday
of April. For April the walks start at 7:00 am from the BLM’s San Pedro
House off AZ Highway 90 just west of the San Pedro River. The walks last
about 3 hours. Bring your own binoculars, a hat and water.

The next San Pedro House birding walk is Wednesday, April 3.

Steve Tracey
Hereford AZ