BirdTalk
Received From Subject
9/20/19 9:27 am David Wheeler <dswheeler...> Re: [Birdtalk] junco
9/20/19 9:09 am David <ddmccoy...> [Birdtalk] junco
9/19/19 3:00 pm 'Bryant Olsen' via UtahBirdTalk <utahbirdtalk...> Re: [Birdtalk] Nesting Neotropic Cormorants
9/19/19 10:37 am David Wheeler <dswheeler...> Re: [Birdtalk] Nesting Neotropic Cormorants
9/17/19 8:37 pm Utah Birds <utahbirds...> [Birdtalk] Nesting Neotropic Cormorants
9/11/19 8:28 am Kenny Frisch <kenneth.frisch...> Re: [Birdtalk] Albino Barn Swallow at Farmington Bay
9/11/19 6:01 am Utah Birds <utahbirds...> [Birdtalk] Albino Barn Swallow at Farmington Bay
9/1/19 12:00 am M. H. Wallace <pooder...> [Birdtalk] Blogging Birds: Telling Informative Stories About the Lives of Birds from Telemetric Data (Featuring Red Kites)
8/26/19 2:24 pm Stephen T Carlile <CARLILEST...> [Birdtalk] Brown Pelican Still There

Back to top
Date: 9/20/19 9:27 am
From: David Wheeler <dswheeler...>
Subject: Re: [Birdtalk] junco
This may also be your last Gray-headed junco of the season. That "race" of
the junco is just here for the breeding season (with rare exception). Our
winters are filled with the merry calls of Oregon Juncos, with a few
Slate-colored and Cassiar's thrown in for good measure. Was the
Gray-headed carrying a little suitcase?

On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 10:09 AM David <ddmccoy...> wrote:

> Greetings,
>

> Looking up, I see the snow on Mt. Olympus, looking down I see the first
> gray-headed junco of the season.
>

> Good birding,
>

> David
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/utahbirdtalk/000001d56fcd%24c92bb000%245b831000%<24...>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/utahbirdtalk/000001d56fcd%24c92bb000%245b831000%<24...>?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

Back to top

Date: 9/19/19 3:00 pm
From: 'Bryant Olsen' via UtahBirdTalk <utahbirdtalk...>
Subject: Re: [Birdtalk] Nesting Neotropic Cormorants
I have seen Neo's copulate at lee kay and have seen 1 on the rookery islands at the smelter pondsGood birdingBryant Olsen

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 11:37 AM, David Wheeler<dswheeler...> wrote: Actually, the record says the photos were taken out of an open window of an airplane (Cessna 185).  But the main takeaway is "cool!"  I've wondered why we don't ever hear of nesting from places like Lee Kay Ponds by the landfill (where they are found in fairly large numbers) or the Kennecott pond by Saltair.  Thank you for sharing that info with us, Milt!
Data, people!  Interesting things happening behind the scenes.
On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 9:37 PM Utah Birds <utahbirds...> wrote:

Bear River MBR
John Neill has sent in documentation for Neotropic Cormorants on a nest in Utah.  He discovered the nesting pair from photos taken from a helicopter on an Island in the Bear River Refuge.Here's a link to his sight record:http://utahbirds.org/RecCom/OutOFRange/O_2019_01.htm

So it looks like these cormorants have found a home in Utah!

Back to top
Date: 9/19/19 10:37 am
From: David Wheeler <dswheeler...>
Actually, the record says the photos were taken out of an open window
of an airplane
(Cessna 185). But the main takeaway is "cool!" I've wondered why we don't
ever hear of nesting from places like Lee Kay Ponds by the landfill (where
they are found in fairly large numbers) or the Kennecott pond by Saltair.
Thank you for sharing that info with us, Milt!

Data, people! Interesting things happening behind the scenes.

On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 9:37 PM Utah Birds <utahbirds...> wrote:

> Bear River MBR
>
> John Neill has sent in documentation for Neotropic Cormorants on a nest in
> Utah. He discovered the nesting pair from photos taken from a helicopter
> on an Island in the Bear River Refuge.
> Here's a link to his sight record:
> http://utahbirds.org/RecCom/OutOFRange/O_2019_01.htm
>
> So it looks like these cormorants have found a home in Utah!
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/utahbirdtalk/CALK922fX5twfEhhmRezz9wbQQKu5T%<3DsFmsy3HCaWSOi6isnpYQ...>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/utahbirdtalk/CALK922fX5twfEhhmRezz9wbQQKu5T%<3DsFmsy3HCaWSOi6isnpYQ...>?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

Back to top

Date: 9/11/19 8:28 am
From: Kenny Frisch <kenneth.frisch...>
Subject: Re: [Birdtalk] Albino Barn Swallow at Farmington Bay
Hey all,

There was an albino Barn Swallow up at Swaner EcoCenter on August 13: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58975511

I wonder if this is the same one or a different individual. It’s cool either way.

Good birding,

Kenny Frisch

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 11, 2019, at 7:01 AM, Utah Birds <utahbirds...> wrote:
>
> Karl Hiller sent in some photos of an Albino Barn Swallow he found last Saturday at Farmington Bay. Here's a link to his photos:
>
> http://utahbirds.org/hotlinephotos/2019/AlbinoBarnSwallow.htm
> --

Back to top

Date: 9/1/19 12:00 am
From: M. H. Wallace <pooder...>
Subject: [Birdtalk] Blogging Birds: Telling Informative Stories About the Lives of Birds from Telemetric Data (Featuring Red Kites)
Here is an article (technical and rather detailed) that may be of
interest to a few in this group. (It is not a short read, nor is it
likely to be of interest to the more casual birder. Techies on the other
hand, may be in for a treat...)

Blogging Birds: Telling Informative Stories About the Lives of Birds
from Telemetric Data
<https://cacm.acm.org/magazines/2019/3/234928-blogging-birds/fulltext>
By Advaith Siddharthan, Kapila Ponnamperuma, Chris Mellish, et al.
Communications of the ACM, March 2019, Vol. 62 No. 3, Pages 68-77.

"/Blogging birds is a novel artificial intelligence program that
generates creative texts to communicate telemetric data derived from
satellite tags fitted to red kites — a medium-size bird of prey — as
part of a species reintroduction program in the U.K. We address the
challenge of communicating telemetric sensor data in real time by
enriching it with meteorological and cartographic data, codifying
ecological knowledge to allow creative interpretation of the
behavior of individual birds in respect to such enriched data, and
dynamically generating informative and engaging data-driven blogs
aimed at the general public./"

Blogging Birds on Vimeo <https://vimeo.com/317093094>

While the blog is no longer maintained, here's demo of Blogging Birds
<http://redkite.kmi.open.ac.uk/MavenKiteWeb/blog/>.

Finally, here's a write-up on Blogging Birds
<https://robertmcgrath.wordpress.com/2019/03/05/blogging-birds/> by
Robert McGrath.

Happy Birding!

Matthew Wallace
East Millcreek.

(P.S. If you hit a pay-wall, I don't think you will, but if you do and
you want a copy of the article then please send me a note...)

Back to top
Date: 8/26/19 2:24 pm
From: Stephen T Carlile <CARLILEST...>
Subject: [Birdtalk] Brown Pelican Still There
The BRWR Brown Pelican was still there as of 10:00 am this morning. It was preening on a log in the middle of the river at Refuge Road mile marker 6 .

Stephen