BirdTalk
Received From Subject
1/24/20 11:40 am 'Bryant Olsen' via UtahBirdTalk <utahbirdtalk...> [Birdtalk] Black Brant relocated
1/16/20 5:37 pm Jeff Cooper <jeffcooper7...> Re: [Birdtalk] Peregrine Falcon Flying Around Temple Square
1/16/20 5:03 pm 'Bryant Olsen' via UtahBirdTalk <utahbirdtalk...> Re: [Birdtalk] Peregrine Falcon Flying Around Temple Square
1/16/20 3:25 pm Jeff Cooper <jeffcooper7...> [Birdtalk] Peregrine Falcon Flying Around Temple Square
1/11/20 6:41 pm 'Bryant Olsen' via UtahBirdTalk <utahbirdtalk...> [Birdtalk] Black Brant at Lake Park west valley
1/10/20 8:53 pm <Pinkstring...> [Birdtalk] Free Magazines
1/6/20 7:10 am Utah Birds <utahbirds...> [Birdtalk] Utah Life List top 5
1/2/20 11:34 am Utah Birds <utahbirds...> [Birdtalk] Listing records

Back to top
Date: 1/24/20 11:40 am
From: 'Bryant Olsen' via UtahBirdTalk <utahbirdtalk...>
Subject: [Birdtalk] Black Brant relocated
This morning just after 11am I relocated the BLACK BRANT that I found earlier in the month at Lake Park. It was on the lawn of the Redwood Recreation Center near the intersection of 3100 S. and Redwood Road in West Valley, mixed in with about 40 Canada Geese, plus a few Cacklers too. The flock was very tame and allowed close views, but as I was walking back to my car a Bald Eagle flew over and the flock spooked and flew southeast toward the Jordan River. With a little luck it could be re-found by looking through all the golf courses, parks and school yard lawns along the Jordan River in that vicinity, or maybe at Decker Lake at dusk as many geese head there to roost. eBird checklist with photos: eBird Checklist - 24 Jan 2020 - Redwood Recreation Center(40.705, -111.938) - 6 species (+1 other taxa)

| | |

| |
eBird Checklist - 24 Jan 2020 - Redwood Recreation Center(40.705, -111.9...

Submitted by Bryant Olsen.

Good BirdingBryant Olsen

Back to top
Date: 1/16/20 5:37 pm
From: Jeff Cooper <jeffcooper7...>
Subject: Re: [Birdtalk] Peregrine Falcon Flying Around Temple Square
Thanks for filling in the blanks, Bryant! I work downtown and was pleased
to see one for the first time in such a long time.

Jeff

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 6:03 PM Bryant Olsen <bryant_olsen...> wrote:

> Jeff
> FYI, the male of the JSMB pair took a new mate the next spring (2016)after
> that female died and they moved their nest to City Creek Canyon, on a
> natural cliff and have fledged chicks there the past 4 summers. 2 years ago
> another Peregrine layed an egg in a nest box on the City Creek tower
> downtown, but she seemed to not have a full time mate and the egg never
> hatched, and she did not come back as far as we know. The City Creek canyon
> pair hunt downtown year round and spend the winter downtown. The canyon is
> a more natural setting and a much safer place for them to nest.
> Good Bird
> Bryant Olsen
>
> On Thursday, January 16, 2020, 04:32:42 PM MST, Jeff Cooper <
> <jeffcooper7...> wrote:
>

> I just observed a peregrine falcon flying around Temple Square in Salt
> Lake City for the first time since the female of the breeding pair died two
> or three years ago. It would be nice to see chicks again this spring in the
> nest box on the Joseph Smith Memorial Building.
>
> Enjoy the birds of the season!
>
> Jeff
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/utahbirdtalk/CAKoVegYSFuM_0H8tbBxe7iUOQzG%<3DJkR5BmWJsPNpGMRHQ-p0ng...>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/utahbirdtalk/CAKoVegYSFuM_0H8tbBxe7iUOQzG%<3DJkR5BmWJsPNpGMRHQ-p0ng...>?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

Back to top

Date: 1/11/20 6:41 pm
From: 'Bryant Olsen' via UtahBirdTalk <utahbirdtalk...>
Subject: [Birdtalk] Black Brant at Lake Park west valley
Around 3:30pm this afternoon I found an apparent BLACK BRANT at Lake Park in West Valley. Initially it was just west of the club house with a small group of Canadas, then flew south. Mike and Max Malmquist relocated it south of the "Carbonite" building along the south fence of Lake Park. Apparently the first record for Salt Lake county. Brant (Black) Macaulay Library ML198778191

| | |

| |
Brant (Black) Macaulay Library ML198778191

© Bryant Olsen; Brant (Black); Branta bernicla nigricans; Lake Park, Salt Lake, Utah, United States; 11 Jan 2020...

Good BirdingBryant Olsen

Back to top
Date: 1/10/20 8:53 pm
From: <Pinkstring...>
Subject: [Birdtalk] Free Magazines
Greetings -

I have a load of ABA's Birding magazines that have to go. Please
contact me off-line if interested.

Pomera
<pinkstring...>

Back to top
Date: 1/6/20 7:10 am
From: Utah Birds <utahbirds...>
Subject: [Birdtalk] Utah Life List top 5
As the numbers come in, there's been a shake up in the top five of the
prominent Utah Life List:

Although Tim Avery is still at number one with 420, Larene Wyss has moved
into the number two spot with 416 followed by Joel Beyer at 414 and Kathy
Beyer tied for fourth at 411. There are some "contenders" who haven't
reported the number yet, so we may have some further developments! Fun to
see what the Utah birders are up to!

http://utahbirds.org/records/RecordsMain.htm

Good Birding!

Back to top
Date: 1/2/20 11:34 am
From: Utah Birds <utahbirds...>
Subject: [Birdtalk] Listing records
The Utah Birds website keeps track of many kinds of listing records:
http://utahbirds.org/records/RecordsMain.htm

This is the traditional time to update your yearly numbers. Here's a page
that tells you how to do it:
http://utahbirds.org/records/index.html

Good birding in the New Year!