OKbirds
Received From Subject
7/11/20 8:03 pm David Arbour <arbour...> Limpkin Photos
7/10/20 3:33 pm David Arbour <arbour...> Other Red Slough Birds from this morning
7/10/20 2:09 am Sandy Berger <sndbrgr...> Re: Red Slough Limpkin Update
7/9/20 8:50 pm David Arbour <arbour...> Red Slough Limpkin Update
7/9/20 9:18 am Dan Reinking <dan...> Limpkin reported at Red Slough
7/9/20 7:35 am Dan Reinking <dan...> Re: Change email address
7/8/20 2:49 pm M.S. Harris <mbhsuzy...> Change email address
7/8/20 8:18 am Jim Arterburn <jimarterburn...> New Photos added to Website
7/8/20 7:01 am David Arbour <arbour...> Wood Storks!
7/6/20 2:51 pm Harold A. Yocum <drhal2...> Re: June Photos Added
7/6/20 9:17 am Bill Carrell <cyanocitta.tachopteryx...> June Photos Added
7/6/20 7:25 am Richrd Gunn <richardgunn1940...> South Jenkins
7/5/20 9:46 am Susanne Lutze <eztuls46...> Re: Inca Dove
7/5/20 8:46 am Bob And Nancy <blnllaval...> Inca Dove
7/3/20 5:04 am janis blanton <janis.blanton...> Tallgrass prairie - cliff swallows
7/3/20 4:44 am Shelli Holland-Handy <shellihh...> Re: White-throated Sparrow Song Change
7/2/20 8:24 pm shenthorn205 <shenthorn205...> Pipits at Lake Hefner
7/2/20 7:16 pm John Kennington <johnkennington...> White-throated Sparrow Song Change
7/1/20 3:22 pm Patricia Velte <pvelte...> July Migration Report
6/27/20 12:16 pm Joe Grzybowski <j_grzybowski...> Hackberry today
6/26/20 9:17 am Jim Arterburn <jimarterburn...> Least Tern Photos
6/22/20 1:04 pm Dora Webb <owl112...> Re: Birds, Plants and Tent Caterpillars
6/21/20 1:32 pm Landon Neumann <landonneumann25...> Hackberry Shorebirds
6/18/20 11:45 am Bill Carrell <cyanocitta.tachopteryx...> May Photos
6/18/20 6:52 am David Arbour <arbour...> Roseate Spoonbills at Red Slough
6/17/20 3:04 pm HAROLD YOCUM <drhal2...> Re: Feeding suit
6/17/20 2:42 pm Diana Pond <dianap38...> Re: Feeding suit
6/17/20 12:29 pm Bob And Nancy <blnllaval...> Re: Bird Glue Trap Dangers
6/17/20 10:23 am Jerry Davis <jwdavis...> Bird Glue Trap Dangers
6/15/20 6:51 pm Mary Peterson <m_mpeterson...> North of Bartlesville on 6-15-2020.
6/15/20 8:51 am bettyzumwalt <bettyzumwalt...> Password
6/15/20 7:20 am Bill Carrell <cyanocitta.tachopteryx...> Red Slough Wood Stork
6/14/20 8:37 am Robert LaVal <blnllaval...> Feeding suit

Back to top
Date: 7/11/20 8:03 pm
From: David Arbour <arbour...>
Subject: Limpkin Photos
I put a couple photos up of the Limpkin on the Red Slough photo gallery that
you can view here:

https://pbase.com/red_slough_wma/recent_photos

Just click on thumbnails to open them up.

David Arbour

De Queen, AR

Back to top
Date: 7/10/20 3:33 pm
From: David Arbour <arbour...>
Subject: Other Red Slough Birds from this morning
I forgot to mention that we also had 3 Wood Storks (unit 15) and 3 King
Rails at Red Slough this morning besides all the usual great Red Slough
birds.

David Arbour

Back to top
Date: 7/10/20 2:09 am
From: Sandy Berger <sndbrgr...>
Subject: Re: Red Slough Limpkin Update
On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 11:48 PM David Arbour <arbour...> wrote:

> This morning on my bird survey I found a Limpkin in the vicinity of the
> observation platform that’s at the SE corner of Pintail Lake/NE corner of
> Lotus Lake. Steve Metz and Matt White came over this evening and we
> refound the bird and pictures were taken. The bird seems most easily seen
> right after first light and again just before sundown when it flies across
> the lakes coming and going from its feeding areas and its roost. Some of
> us are going to be there at 6 a.m. tomorrow (Friday) morning to look for it
> again. Pics will be up later.
>

> David Arbour
>
> De Queen, AR

Back to top

Date: 7/9/20 9:18 am
From: Dan Reinking <dan...>
Subject: Limpkin reported at Red Slough
This report from Robert is really newsworthy!

Dan Reinking

Sutton Avian Research Center

David Arbour is reporting a limpkin at Red Slough this morning. I'm sure he
will have a colorful narrative when he posts his bird survey later this
evening!

Thanks!

Robert Bastarache
District Wildlife Biologist

Forest Service

Oklahoma Ranger District - Ouachita National Forest

Back to top
Date: 7/9/20 7:35 am
From: Dan Reinking <dan...>
Subject: Re: Change email address
Just contact me directly.
Dan

Date: 7/8/20 2:49 pm
From: M.S. Harris <mbhsuzy...>
Subject: Change email address

Date: 7/8/20 8:18 am
From: Jim Arterburn <jimarterburn...>
Subject: New Photos added to Website
OKBirds,

I have added some recent photos to my PBase webssite. Some of the
species added include American Robin, Eastern Kingbird, Great-crested
Flycatcher, Green Heron, Laughing Gull, Neotropic Cormorant, Northern
Mockingbird, Orchard Oriole, Prothonotary Warbler, Purple Martin and
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher. These photos can be seen at the link below.

https://pbase.com/oklahomabirder/recentbirds

For those interested I have also added butterfly, dragonfly and herp
photos to my website. They can be seen at the links below.

https://pbase.com/oklahomabirder/recentbutterflies

https://pbase.com/oklahomabirder/recentodonate

https://pbase.com/oklahomabirder/recentherps

Enjoy,

Jim Arterburn

Back to top
Date: 7/8/20 7:01 am
From: David Arbour <arbour...>
Subject: Wood Storks!
There were 5 Wood Storks at the Pintail Lake heronry at Red Slough
yesterday.

David Arbour

De Queen, AR

Back to top
Date: 7/6/20 2:51 pm
From: Harold A. Yocum <drhal2...>
Subject: Re: June Photos Added

I am spending 2 days birding in Kenton, OK , then on to CO to deliver a car full of daughter Heather’s ( also a birder) “Stuff” that we have stored at our place for 20+ years.
I hope to do some CO birding around Boulder and Rocky Mt. Nat. Park. The are limiting cars entering and only so many every 2 hours starting at 6AM. Every visitor must go on line and get a day and time of entry.
Kenton, OK - the bronzed cowbird male is still here.
Kenton town walk for 2 hours twice has produced a nice list of 35 birds of which 5 are year birds for me. No vermillion flycatchers seems yet. Local birder says not seen in a few weeks, but were here earlier. Common Ravens-6. All hummingbirds seen appear to be black- chinned. Local birder reports at least 1 rufous and 1 calliope the spring/ summer. Must be 1-4 hummer feeders at every house here. Most had visitIng birds this morning.
Visited Lake Ettling- very low water, no large water birds, no eagles seen. Best sighting there was a burrowing owl at Prairie dog town just inside the east entrance to the Lake and Park.
Hal Yocum

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 6, 2020, at 11:16 AM, Bill Carrell <cyanocitta.tachopteryx...> wrote:
>

> Hello All,
>
> Just finished adding photos from June to my Pbase site. The bugs are starting to take over, but still a lot of bird photos, mostly from Red Slough including both Gallinules and Anhinga:
>
> https://pbase.com/lctsimages/recent
>
> Good Birding, or whatever else you're looking for,
>
> Bill Carrell
> Tulsa, OK

Back to top

Date: 7/6/20 7:25 am
From: Richrd Gunn <richardgunn1940...>
Subject: South Jenkins
Huge kettle of kites over the east hay field. Randy Soto is seeing a chat
farther down the road past the sand operation...
D.

Back to top
Date: 7/5/20 9:46 am
From: Susanne Lutze <eztuls46...>
Subject: Re: Inca Dove
Have 3 kinds of doves at my feeders in Edmond:
Eurasian, Collared and Mourning!

--
"Carry a heart that never hates, a smile that never fades, and a touch that
never hurts."

Back to top

Date: 7/3/20 5:04 am
From: janis blanton <janis.blanton...>
Subject: Tallgrass prairie - cliff swallows
Once again there are thousands of cliff swallows along the western fence line at the tallgrass prairie. It seems like there are significantly more than In years past

Janis Blanton

Back to top
Date: 7/3/20 4:44 am
From: Shelli Holland-Handy <shellihh...>
Subject: Re: White-throated Sparrow Song Change
I began backyard birding About 7 years ago and that is the song the
sparrows in my area have always sung (south Tulsa). I was always confounded
because it didn’t match my birding app. Now, I have an explanation. Thank
you, John!

--
Shelli Holland-Handy
918-260-4887

Back to top
Date: 7/2/20 8:24 pm
From: shenthorn205 <shenthorn205...>
Subject: Pipits at Lake Hefner
On gravel road south of Prairie Dog Point near popular fishing area with cottonwood, willows and near the cape with the trash can.Most prominent one has rusty breast and throat, eyeline, streaks, looked like long-tailed long-legged sparrow.SharonSent via the Samsung Galaxy S10, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone

Back to top

Date: 7/1/20 3:22 pm
From: Patricia Velte <pvelte...>
Subject: July Migration Report
Dear OK Birders,

The lists for Arrivals and Departures are below.

Here are ARRIVALS

Rufous Hummingbird

July 22 - PAN, SW

American Avocet

July 14 - C, SC, NE, SE

Semipalmated Plover

July 12 - ALL

Piping Plover

July 19 - NW, SW, C, SC, NE

Snowy Plover

July 19 - C, SC, NE

Long-billed Curlew

July 4 - NW, SW, C, SC

Marbled Godwit

July 1 - PAN, NW, SW, C, SC, NE

Ruddy Turnstone

July 26 - NW, SW, C, SC, NE, SE: West to Alfalfa, Major and Blaine cos. Only
in NW; and west to Washita, Kiowa and Tillman cos. Only in SW

Red Knot

July 28 - NW, C, NE: Rare in Alfalfa Co. Only

Stilt Sandpiper

July 12 - ALL

Sanderling

July 28 - ALL

Baird's Sandpiper

July 7 - ALL

Least Sandpiper

July 1 - PAN

Buff-breasted Sandpiper

July 26 - NW, SW, C, SC, NE, SE: West to Woods, Woodward, Dewey and Custer
cos Only in NW; and west to Washita Kiowa and Tillman cos. Only in SW

Pectoral Sandpiper

July 9 - ALL

Semipalmated Sandpiper

July 6 - ALL

Western Sandpiper

July 6 - ALL

Short-billed Dowitcher

July 1 - NW, SW, C, SC, NE, SE

Long-billed Dowitcher

July 10 - ALL

Spotted Sandpiper

July 4 - NW, SW, C, SC, NE, SE

Solitary Sandpiper

July 1 - ALL

Willet

July 1 - ALL

Wilson's Phalarope

July 20 - SW, C, SC, NE, SE

Caspian Tern

July 11 - ALL

Forster's Tern

July 10 - PAN, NW, SW, NE

White-faced Ibis

July 26 - SW, C, SC, NE, SE East to Washington, Tulsa and Muskogee cos Only

Swainson's Hawk

July 14 - SE

Peregrine Falcon

July 28 - ALL

Willow Flycatcher

July 30 - ALL

Least Flycatcher

July 15 - ALL

Bank Swallow

July 22 - ALL

Sedge Wren

July 25 - NE, SE

Yellow Warbler

July 20 - SW and July 25 - SE

Yellow-headed Blackbird

July 4 - PAN, NW, SW, C, SC, NE

DEPARTURE

Glossy Ibis

July 28 - NW, SW, C, SE Rare in Alfalfa and Major cos Only in NW; Rare in
Tillman Co Only in SW; and Rare in southern McCurtain Co Only in SE

The Date Guide divides Oklahoma into 7 geographic regions, and lists the
normal dates of occurrence for each Oklahoma bird species within each
region. Observers are urged to report unusual species, or birds out of date
or out of normal range in Oklahoma, based on the information given in this
publication.

The Oklahoma Ornithological Society and Oklahoma Bird Records Committee web
site, http://www.okbirds.org/
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.okbirds.org_&d=DwMF
Ag&c=qKdtBuuu6dQK9MsRUVJ2DPXW6oayO8fu4TfEHS8sGNk&r=WtcHdIgfPcd5duugjo56RvrWK
XWbcpxsIgrqUhahxv0&m=SXP5X1rcGOTe-8BLcgBgfrQIffBnP0CwWFH-xk9Jzcs&s=Ou4jdCTr0
lwevtBN_Ud9l_b9MMORF9n9FuyumXmcXyc&e=> , includes ordering information for
the Date Guide to the Occurrences of Birds in Oklahoma, information on
documenting significant records, documentation forms, instructions, and a
searchable database for Oklahoma bird migration information. Birders are
cordially invited to join the Oklahoma Ornithological Society.

Happy birding!

Pat Velte

<pvelte...> <mailto:<pvelte...>

Oklahoma City, OK

Back to top
Date: 6/27/20 12:16 pm
From: Joe Grzybowski <j_grzybowski...>
Subject: Hackberry today
Found a Fulvous Whistling-Duck this morning. NE side of lake. Lou Truex indicated that Kelvin had already spotted it earlier. Can tuck into the weeds.
CHEERS, JOE Grzybowski.

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 6/26/20 9:17 am
From: Jim Arterburn <jimarterburn...>
Subject: Least Tern Photos
OKBirds,

I have added a few flight shots, from early June, of several Least Terns
fishing near the Leonard sod farms. The photos can be seen at the link
below.

https://pbase.com/oklahomabirder/recentbirds

Cheers,

Jim Arterburn

Back to top
Date: 6/22/20 1:04 pm
From: Dora Webb <owl112...>
Date: 6/21/20 1:32 pm
From: Landon Neumann <landonneumann25...>
Subject: Hackberry Shorebirds
Hi all,

Did a SW Oklahoma run this weekend. Got all the specialities in the Lawton
area. Most interesting there being 3 Inca Dove at the Robinson Street site.
Also birded the Eldorado area. Got all the specialities, but nothing rare
to report. The most interesting spot was Hackberry. I was
pleasantly surprised to find more water than I expected. I had 11
shorebirds species best being Willet, 4 King Rails, Eared Grebe, and 3
Neotropic Cormorants. Overall wader and waterfowl diversity was also good.
The best units for shorebirds were wood duck and redhead. The road near the
center also had a good number of birds. The grebe and cormorants were at
the reservoir.

Hackberry List - https://ebird.org/checklist/S70653944

Worth a check this summer.

Best

Landon Neumann
Stillwater OK

Back to top
Date: 6/18/20 11:45 am
From: Bill Carrell <cyanocitta.tachopteryx...>
Subject: May Photos
Hello All,

Just uploaded photos from May to my Pbase site, including highlights from
spring migration, some late-month birds from the TGP, and Bronzed Cowbird
from Kenton in Cimarron County. Also the usual selection of bugs and herps.

https://pbase.com/lctsimages/recent&page=1

Good Birding,

Bill Carrell
Tulsa, OK

Back to top
Date: 6/18/20 6:52 am
From: David Arbour <arbour...>
Subject: Roseate Spoonbills at Red Slough
I just viewed video footage of two Roseate Spoonbills feeding in unit 44 at
Red Slough yesterday by Terry Stuart. Where were they two days ago when I
did my bird survey? J

David Arbour

De Queen, AR

Back to top
Date: 6/17/20 3:04 pm
From: HAROLD YOCUM <drhal2...>
Subject: Re: Feeding suit
I usually feed suet in the winter. I get all kinds of visitors to it: sparrows, woodpeckers, kinglets, wrens, titmose, blue jays, starlings and more.

When spring comes along as soon as i get a yard full of starling, or grackles I remove it as they eat it all in day and the other birds that I like to see get none.

I have had a b. creeper readily come everyday in some winters. also my squirrels have figured it out as well and they are real hogs. they have even knocked it down and dragged it around the yard.

So suet from Nov-Marc or April only.

Hal Yocum

> On June 17, 2020 at 5:41 PM Diana Pond <dianap38...> wrote:
>

> To your list we are adding bluebirds and summer tanagers and a few starlings all on the suet as well.

Back to top
Date: 6/17/20 2:42 pm
From: Diana Pond <dianap38...>
To your list we are adding bluebirds and summer tanagers and a few starlings all on the suet as well.

Date: 6/17/20 12:29 pm
From: Bob And Nancy <blnllaval...>
Subject: Re: Bird Glue Trap Dangers
Had this experience with a Carolina Wren in my garage. Luckily he only lost a few tail feathers.

Bob Laval
Heavener

Sent from my iPad

> On Jun 17, 2020, at 12:24 PM, Jerry Davis <jwdavis...> wrote:
>

> Some of you know from experience the dangers of glue traps to birds. They do not just catch mice and insects.
>
> Jerry Wayne Davis
> Hot Springs
>
> https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/pennsylvania-wildlife-center-warning-residents-of-danger-spotted-lanternfly-glue-traps-pose-to-wildlife/ar-BB15Cj6d?ocid=msedgdhp

Back to top

Date: 6/15/20 6:51 pm
From: Mary Peterson <m_mpeterson...>
Subject: North of Bartlesville on 6-15-2020.
Hello All,

I took some time off from atlasing to check a couple areas north of Bartlesville this morning. At the Adams ranch, there are still at least 3 sedge wrens calling-one on the north-south road and two south of the cultivated area south of Durham towards Dewey. The next stop was on the south end of Young's Lake, south of Copan Lake. A least bittern called continuously for the 10 minutes I was there from about 200 feet north of the road. There were also a few tree swallows flying around the cattails. Next, I went up to Tallgrass Wetlands north of Copan Lake. There were numerous Bell's Vireos and a few chats singing. The mudflats that were so productive in May were devoid of birds, except for a single wood duck.

Mark Peterson
Bartlesville

Back to top
Date: 6/15/20 8:51 am
From: bettyzumwalt <bettyzumwalt...>
Subject: Password
How do you set up a password? It keeps saying error. BettySent via the Samsung Galaxy S20 5G, an AT&T 5G smartphone

Back to top
Date: 6/15/20 7:20 am
From: Bill Carrell <cyanocitta.tachopteryx...>
Subject: Red Slough Wood Stork
Hello All,

Spent Saturday and half of Sunday in McCurtain county (Little River, Red
Slough), finding all of the usual suspects from the region that have been
reported recently. In addition, saw an adult Wood Stork fly out from the
Pintail Lake rookery area, heading generally SE.

Good Birding,

Bill Carrell
Tulsa, OK

Back to top
Date: 6/14/20 8:37 am
From: Robert LaVal <blnllaval...>
Subject: Feeding suit
I had a suit cake out all winter and got some use by woodpeckers and a Ruby-crowned Kinglet. Only had to put up two cakes. As nesting season began, use picked up. Now I am feeding a cake/week. Cardinals and Blue Jays and the same woodpeckers mostly. I assume they are feeding it to young. Does anyone know if this is healthy for the young? I seem to have plenty of healthy looking young around.
Bob LaVal
20367 Pine Mtn. LP
Heavener, OK 74937
Phone: 918-653-7921