OKbirds
Received From Subject
7/24/24 11:00 am shenthorn205 <shenthorn205...> Variety at Zoo Lake today
7/24/24 3:16 am drhal2 Yocum <drhal2...> Re: Red Slough Bird Survey - July 23
7/24/24 1:29 am Sandy Berger <sndbrgr...> Re: Red Slough Bird Survey - July 23
7/23/24 11:30 pm Shirley Maas <000000b508ae481a-dmarc-request...> Re: Red Slough Bird Survey - July 23
7/23/24 9:51 pm <arbour...> <arbour...> Red Slough Bird Survey - July 23
7/21/24 8:19 am Jim Arterbuirn <jimarterburn...> Re: Fw: Sooner Lake - Western Grebe, Least Terns Probable Breeding, Least Bittern
7/19/24 4:02 pm Sandy Berger <sndbrgr...> Sequoyah NWR
7/17/24 2:29 pm Jesse Pline <jessepline...> Re: Help ID'ing a bird, maybe?
7/17/24 2:27 pm Steve Stone <Steve.Stone...> Re: Help ID'ing a bird, maybe?
7/17/24 2:18 pm <arbour...> <arbour...> Red Slough Bird Survey - July 16
7/14/24 5:45 am shenthorn205 <shenthorn205...> Green heron at Zoo Lake
7/14/24 1:37 am Landon Neumann <landonneumann25...> Sooner Lake - Western Grebe, Least Terns Probable Breeding, Least Bittern
7/9/24 6:37 pm <arbour...> <arbour...> Red Slough Bird Survey - July 9
7/8/24 1:13 pm Judy Simmons <whippoorwill42...> Re: Recent Oklahoma Birds - 29 May-23 June
7/8/24 10:09 am shenthorn205 <shenthorn205...> eBird -- Northeast/Zoo Lake Park -- Jul 08, 2024
7/7/24 9:46 am Marta Harris <harrismarta8...> Re: Recent Oklahoma Birds - 29 May-23 June
7/6/24 8:24 am Bryan Reynolds <nature_photo_man...> Recent Oklahoma Birds - 29 May-23 June
7/4/24 3:06 pm drhal2 Yocum <drhal2...> Re: Hummingbirds feeding on Mimosa blossoms
7/4/24 10:43 am Jerry Davis <jwdavis...> Re: Hummingbirds feeding on Mimosa blossoms
7/4/24 10:36 am drhal2 Yocum <drhal2...> Re: Hummingbirds feeding on Mimosa blossoms
7/4/24 10:19 am Mark and Mary Peterson <markandmarypeterson...> Re: Hummingbirds feeding on Mimosa blossoms
7/3/24 7:38 pm <arbour...> <arbour...> Red Slough Bird Survey - July 3
7/3/24 6:57 pm drhal2 Yocum <drhal2...> Hummingbirds feeding on Mimosa blossoms
7/1/24 10:05 am Patricia Velte <pvelte...> July Migration Report
6/27/24 11:33 am drhal2 Yocum <drhal2...> Re: Trends on Jenkins
6/27/24 11:05 am Richrd Gunn <richardgunn1940...> Trends on Jenkins

Back to top
Date: 7/24/24 11:00 am
From: shenthorn205 <shenthorn205...>
Subject: Variety at Zoo Lake today
Took my scope to get a good look at the cattle egrets in the western lakeside trees.  Confirmed at least 15 western cattle egrets.  On the south end of those woods near the reeds was a striking little blue heron (cobalt blue with purplish neck).A bird flew in near me, and at a glance, it could have been another mockingbird.  But something about it was off--similar size and shape, but more brown/beige, like a cuckoo, which I hadn't seen here in the past.  Webworms are becoming more numerous and cuckoos show up for them.  Sure enough, the bird poked his down-curved bill out from a branch and then I got a good view.  Yellow-billed cuckoo.See eBird checklist: 22 species.Sharon

Back to top
Date: 7/24/24 3:16 am
From: drhal2 Yocum <drhal2...>
Subject: Re: Red Slough Bird Survey - July 23

Back to top
Date: 7/24/24 1:29 am
From: Sandy Berger <sndbrgr...>
I never hear Field Sparrows at Sequoyah NWR anymore. It’s a sad thing. But
I did hear a Bobwhite last Friday. It has been years since I’ve heard one
there.

Sandy B

On Wed, Jul 24, 2024 at 12:48 AM <arbour...> <
<arbour...> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Red-bellied Woodpecker - 3
>
> Hairy Woodpecker - 1
>
> Eastern Phoebe - 5
>
> Eastern Kingbird - 6
>
> White-eyed Vireo - 6
>
> Bell's Vireo - 1
>
> Red-eyed Vireo - 1
>
> American Crow – 4
>
> Fish Crow - 5
>
> Tree Swallow - 1
>
> Cliff Swallow - 5
>
> Barn Swallow - 6
>
> Carolina Chickadee - 1
>
> Tufted Titmouse - 3
>
> Carolina Wren – 9
>
> Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - 1
>
> Yellow-throated Warbler - 1
>
> Pine Warbler - 1
>
> Prothonotary Warbler - 1
>
> Kentucky Warbler - 1
>
> Common Yellowthroat - 7
>
> Yellow-breasted Chat - 3
>
> Summer Tanager - 4
>
> Field Sparrow - 1
>
> Northern Cardinal – 11
>
> Blue Grosbeak - 2
>
> Indigo Bunting - 16
>
> Painted Bunting - 5
>
> Dickcissel - 4
>
> Red-winged Blackbird – 40
>
> Common Grackle - 8
>

> *Odonates:*
>

> Lilypad Forktail
>
> Common Green Darner
>
> Cyrano Darner
>
> Two-striped Forceptail
>
> Prince Baskettail
>
> Halloween Pennant
>
> Slaty Skimmer
>
> Great-blue Skimmer
>
> Eastern Pondhawk
>
> Blue Dasher
>
> Eastern Amberwing
>
> Common Whitetail
>
> Black Saddlebags
>

> *Herps:*
>

> American Alligator
>
> Softshell turtle species
>
> Broad-banded Watersnake
>
> Blanchard's Cricket Frog
>
> Green Treefrog
>
> Bullfrog
>

> Good birding!
>

> David Arbour
>
> De Queen, AR
>

> Check out the Red Slough Photo Gallery: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://pbase.com/red_slough_wma__;!!GNU8KkXDZlD12Q!54OuClUn6gz1x_59riFkaHKArxgWzWVXz6xKuaOXNpdwow1aGFEVWiyqkAwrTYlHCV0xB9BJHxvb7xSOAA$ [pbase[.]com]
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://pbase.com/red_slough_wma__;!!GNU8KkXDZlD12Q!9LN-f7gUdqJq4bDAJ3j_l6BbYdibOJXgqfJjkN4xNOFCdhHvEoW_ayIlBiIZSnTqoXH7qYOMoEK3Nb0gys-G0A$>
>

> Birders Guide to the Red Slough WMA:
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/ouachita/landmanagement/resourcemanagement/?cid=fseprd1043423__;!!GNU8KkXDZlD12Q!54OuClUn6gz1x_59riFkaHKArxgWzWVXz6xKuaOXNpdwow1aGFEVWiyqkAwrTYlHCV0xB9BJHxsHZ1IjfQ$ [fs[.]usda[.]gov]
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/ouachita/landmanagement/resourcemanagement/?cid=fseprd1043423__;!!GNU8KkXDZlD12Q!9LN-f7gUdqJq4bDAJ3j_l6BbYdibOJXgqfJjkN4xNOFCdhHvEoW_ayIlBiIZSnTqoXH7qYOMoEK3Nb2wuiH5dA$>

Back to top
Date: 7/23/24 11:30 pm
From: Shirley Maas <000000b508ae481a-dmarc-request...>
Thanks for your weekly reportsLook 👀 forward for them.
Don Maas😊✝️🙏🌵🌴🌵🌴

“If you do not take an interest in the affairs of your government then you are doomed to live under the rules of fools.                           Plato“You can ignore reality, but you cannot ignore the consequences of reality.”
Don & Shirley MaasThe Maas’s have migrated to the Valley of the Sun in Mesa, AZ from Choctaw, Ok for the winter.

Check out the Red Slough Photo Gallery:  https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://pbase.com/red_slough_wma__;!!GNU8KkXDZlD12Q!7Z4HsB_oLD5L_w1oxuMiYM0sC9TMIMjgVsH0nG1liyjsXPkzlIWWncwn2Q6v1xAiOoFuFJYHscYSAMFZj1Phpw$ [pbase[.]com]

Birders Guide to the Red Slough WMA:  https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/ouachita/landmanagement/resourcemanagement/?cid=fseprd1043423__;!!GNU8KkXDZlD12Q!7Z4HsB_oLD5L_w1oxuMiYM0sC9TMIMjgVsH0nG1liyjsXPkzlIWWncwn2Q6v1xAiOoFuFJYHscYSAMEYXN_6oA$ [fs[.]usda[.]gov]

Back to top
Date: 7/23/24 9:51 pm
From: <arbour...> <arbour...>
Subject: Red Slough Bird Survey - July 23

[...]

Check out the Red Slough Photo Gallery: [ https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://pbase.com/red_slough_wma__;!!GNU8KkXDZlD12Q!9LN-f7gUdqJq4bDAJ3j_l6BbYdibOJXgqfJjkN4xNOFCdhHvEoW_ayIlBiIZSnTqoXH7qYOMoEK3Nb0gys-G0A$ [pbase[.]com] | https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://pbase.com/red_slough_wma__;!!GNU8KkXDZlD12Q!9LN-f7gUdqJq4bDAJ3j_l6BbYdibOJXgqfJjkN4xNOFCdhHvEoW_ayIlBiIZSnTqoXH7qYOMoEK3Nb0gys-G0A$ [pbase[.]com] ]

Birders Guide to the Red Slough WMA: [ https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/ouachita/landmanagement/resourcemanagement/?cid=fseprd1043423__;!!GNU8KkXDZlD12Q!9LN-f7gUdqJq4bDAJ3j_l6BbYdibOJXgqfJjkN4xNOFCdhHvEoW_ayIlBiIZSnTqoXH7qYOMoEK3Nb2wuiH5dA$ [fs[.]usda[.]gov] | https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/ouachita/landmanagement/resourcemanagement/?cid=fseprd1043423__;!!GNU8KkXDZlD12Q!9LN-f7gUdqJq4bDAJ3j_l6BbYdibOJXgqfJjkN4xNOFCdhHvEoW_ayIlBiIZSnTqoXH7qYOMoEK3Nb2wuiH5dA$ [fs[.]usda[.]gov] ]

Back to top
Date: 7/21/24 8:19 am
From: Jim Arterbuirn <jimarterburn...>
Subject: Re: Fw: Sooner Lake - Western Grebe, Least Terns Probable Breeding, Least Bittern

gallery. Recent Additions Photo Gallery by Jim Arterburn at pbase.com
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://pbase.com/oklahomabirder/recentbirds__;!!GNU8KkXDZlD12Q!7oHoyftHJVXnbSayVvquKg39cNnqr9MWnum3hIG7bT9YgCIQV9EJ2_P9_3ca3hjE8Wf-SveFy9zBFZZeB0aNr5dW$ [pbase[.]com]>

In the late ninties and early two thousand the bank fishing area had a
small populartion of Henslow's Sparrows that nested there (in the
central part of the bank fishing area). I am not sure if anyone has gone
looking for them since then. Might be something to check out. There were
also a few Greater Prairie Chickens there through the late ninties.

The N-S causeway has been a very productive area for shorebirds
especially the late migrating species, plovers, whimbrel, hudsonian
godwit, turnstone, dunlin, stilts and dowitchers (May 1st-25th). When
you would catch a good shorebird migration day many hundreds of
migrating shorebirds would land on the southern part of the causeway to
rest and feed. They would feed on the rip-rap on both side of the
causeway moving north as they fed. When they got to the northern end of
the causeway they would take flight and continue their migration. When
we had access to the plant and causeways I would set up my scope
towards the north end of the causeway and watch the birds resting and
feeding. After we lost access to the plant and causeway I found that you
could walk to the east side of the bank fishing area, set up your scope
and view the migrating shorebirds from there. You are much farther away
but with a scope you can get good views. Just a lot more effort than
driving to the causeway.

Cheers,

Jim Arterburn

Back to top
Date: 7/19/24 4:02 pm
From: Sandy Berger <sndbrgr...>
Subject: Sequoyah NWR
Had a great outing at Sequoyah this morning. 51 species on a marvelously
cool morning. No rarities to speak of. Just a real diverse mix. Lots of
parent birds frantically feeding fledglings. The best for me was seeing an
Acadian Flycatcher feed its young. I also found an Orchard Oriole nest. A
first for me. It seems two females were squabbling over the nest. Or they
were being cooperative and helping at the nest. I don’t know what they do.
There were 17 Least Terns resting on the sandbar at the Sandtown parking
lot. I didn’t see any juvenile birds so it made me think that nesting was
unsuccessful this year. The river has been high for quite some time.
American White Pelicans were back.
Along with great birds I had a most unusual sighting of mammals. I caught
two young coyotes and an adult bobcat pooping out in the middle of the road
at the same time. A car came along scaring them all off, but one coyote
came back. It investigated the cat scat and then left a bit of himself at
the site, if you know what I mean. Territorial thing???

Sandy B.
Sequoyah County

Back to top
Date: 7/17/24 2:29 pm
From: Jesse Pline <jessepline...>
Subject: Re: Help ID'ing a bird, maybe?
Hi Rani,

Based on your ID factors:
-Mixed-forest habitat
-Between Robin/Crow sized
-Sleek/elegant appearance
-Pale taup/brown color
-Creamy white throat
-'gull-like' bill (taking that to mean somewhat longish, possibly curved
but not hooked?)
-darker bill than brown body

This sounds pretty spot-on for a Yellow-billed Cuckoo. Lighting conditions
and age of the bird would make bill color appear variable. Juveniles have a
gray bill before it turns yellow.
See if this matches what you saw:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/579831661__;!!GNU8KkXDZlD12Q!6et-Qn7hpu4igwy11j3CjutRW4bMkra2Dee2ljCSxWsq9CnZ94fA4uFdgHxx6zQH1WPFh8US3YdBUPyb6xOvqw$ [macaulaylibrary[.]org]

~Jesse Pline

On Wed, Jul 17, 2024, 4:17 PM Rani Ness <adorehymn...> wrote:

> Hi, all,
>
> Wondering if the beauty I saw today is a juvenile or a female?
>
> Not sure I can make sense of this sighting on my own. Hoping someone might
> be able to help?
>
> Yesterday, late morning or early afternoon, in a stand of aging eastern
> blue cedars, with a developing understory of mostly deciduous trees moving
> towards taking over, near a small lake, SW of the Metro by roughly an
> hour's drive, I saw a bird that totally stumps me.
>
> I'm no expert. I still misidentify some birds, though my alleged life list
> has grown of late. ⁹
>
> This beauty landed on a somewhat broad limb in clear view for a good
> minute, but I didn't dare move to gather my phone for a photo shot.
> Besides, it was quite the looker. I didn't want to take my eyes off of it
> for even a second. (And I probably assume need a Google search would
> help???)
>
> It was roughly the shape of a tern, particularly the wings; size wise,
> ?perhaps between a robin and a crow in size, maybe closer to a crow size
> generally (maybe even longer?), but it was very sleek and trim, especially
> as compared to a crow.
>
> It was a solid, taupish brown in color, with no verigation of colors
> anywhere on its body, except that it had a lovely, pure, slightly creamy
> white throat.
>
> The beak was a bit darker than the taupish body. There was no crook to the
> beak, as if it were a raptor - so not a juvenile Mississippi kite???, or
> etc. But the beak was shaped, perhaps, a bit more like a gull.
>
> Not that I know what to make of all that.
>
> This was out near our cabin, and I've seen quite a number of birds out
> here, most of which I have identified clearly, but this beauty stymies me
> completely.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Lorraine

Back to top
Date: 7/17/24 2:27 pm
From: Steve Stone <Steve.Stone...>
You might consider a juvenile or non-breeding Double-crested Cormorant.

Steve Stone

Date: 7/17/24 2:18 pm
From: <arbour...> <arbour...>
Subject: Red Slough Bird Survey - July 16

Matt Matlock (AR), Josh Matlock (AR), and I surveyed birds today at Red Slough and found 67 species. The weather was clear, hot, and windy. Unit 44 which is just east of the middle parking lot on Red Slough road, has nice mudflats right now and as a result had eight species of shorebirds present. Juvenile gallinules everywhere. Passerines are mostly silent now. Here is my list for today:

Black-bellied Whistling Duck - 10

Wood Duck - 21

Pied-billed Grebe – 7

Neotropic Cormorant - 21 (12 active nests; a number of new nests have been built plus nests that have already fledged young have adult birds sitting on them.)

Anhinga - 209 (Lots of fledglings.)

American Bittern - 2

Least Bittern - 7

Great-blue Heron - 6

Great Egret - 26

Snowy Egret - 187

Little-blue Heron - 52

Cattle Egret - 1000

Green Heron - 13

Black-crowned Night-Heron - 1

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron - 11

White Ibis - 65

Black Vulture - 9

Turkey Vulture – 15

Mississippi Kite - 3

Red-shouldered Hawk - 1

Broad-winged Hawk - 1

Red-tailed Hawk - 2

King Rail - 1

Purple Gallinule - 58

Common Gallinule - 40

American Coot – 3

Killdeer - 14

Spotted Sandpiper - 6

Solitary Sandpiper - 5

Semipalmated Sandpiper - 3

Western Sandpiper - 2

Least Sandpiper - 25

Stilt Sandpiper - 2

Short-billed Dowitcher - 1

Mourning Dove - 11

Yellow-billed Cuckoo - 2

Chimney Swift - 5

Pileated Woodpecker - 1

Great-crested Flycatcher - 1

Eastern Kingbird - 4

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher - 1

White-eyed Vireo - 4

Red-eyed Vireo - 1

American Crow – 4

Fish Crow - 2

Purple Martin - 2

Tree Swallow - 2

Northern Rough-winged Swallow - 2

Barn Swallow - 21

Carolina Chickadee - 1

Tufted Titmouse - 1

Carolina Wren – 3

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - 1

Eastern Bluebird - 4

Prothonotary Warbler - 1

Common Yellowthroat - 2

Yellow-breasted Chat - 1

Summer Tanager - 1

Eastern Towhee - 1

Northern Cardinal – 5

Blue Grosbeak - 2

Indigo Bunting - 12

Painted Bunting - 3

Dickcissel - 3

Red-winged Blackbird – 26

Common Grackle - 5

Brown-headed Cowbird - 1

Odonates:

Common Green Darner

Swamp Darner

Prince Baskettail

Halloween Pennant

Slaty Skimmer

Great-blue Skimmer

Eastern Pondhawk

Common Whitetail

Wandering Glider

Black Saddlebags

Herps:

American Alligator

Softshell turtle species

Blanchard's Cricket Frog

Green Treefrog

Good birding!

David Arbour

De Queen, AR

Check out the Red Slough Photo Gallery: [ https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://pbase.com/red_slough_wma__;!!GNU8KkXDZlD12Q!8qOo3nA_78scnNVif4q68lHdNZi8tbjY2EwkJs7dsuMFY0WG7MFP0wZmG7kH2iPGAdtsfb8r7BBYOeD2uDzgJw$ [pbase[.]com] | https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://pbase.com/red_slough_wma__;!!GNU8KkXDZlD12Q!8qOo3nA_78scnNVif4q68lHdNZi8tbjY2EwkJs7dsuMFY0WG7MFP0wZmG7kH2iPGAdtsfb8r7BBYOeD2uDzgJw$ [pbase[.]com] ]

Birders Guide to the Red Slough WMA: [ https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/ouachita/landmanagement/resourcemanagement/?cid=fseprd1043423__;!!GNU8KkXDZlD12Q!8qOo3nA_78scnNVif4q68lHdNZi8tbjY2EwkJs7dsuMFY0WG7MFP0wZmG7kH2iPGAdtsfb8r7BBYOeAdUS9W2g$ [fs[.]usda[.]gov] | https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/ouachita/landmanagement/resourcemanagement/?cid=fseprd1043423__;!!GNU8KkXDZlD12Q!8qOo3nA_78scnNVif4q68lHdNZi8tbjY2EwkJs7dsuMFY0WG7MFP0wZmG7kH2iPGAdtsfb8r7BBYOeAdUS9W2g$ [fs[.]usda[.]gov] ]

Back to top
Date: 7/14/24 5:45 am
From: shenthorn205 <shenthorn205...>
Subject: Green heron at Zoo Lake
Several times in past two weeks I've seen and heard at least one green heron on the shoreline and flying across the water.  When I have passed by the greenery near the shore on the sidewalk and also north of handicap parking, loud squawks have occurred unseen from the reeds or underbrush. Merlin app and my own observations identify the green heron vocalization.Seen flying to and from shoreline north of first pier, and flying near both east and western flyways above the water.For those interested, viewings have been between 8-10 am. I am usually available in mornings for birding.Sharon Henthorn

Back to top

Date: 7/9/24 6:37 pm
From: <arbour...> <arbour...>
Subject: Red Slough Bird Survey - July 9

It started off overcast and mild with light rain and wind turning partly cloudy and warm with moderate wind on the bird survey today. 56 species were found. Hurricane Beryl was a bust in Oklahoma bird-wise. It turned east before it got to Red Slough and took any good birds it was carrying with it. We only got 1.4 inches of rain from it instead of the predicted 4-7 inches. No flooding or high winds either as predicted. The heronry on Pintail Lake is full of fledglings. Gallinule chicks and juveniles everywhere also. Some early migrants were present with one Spotted Sandpiper and several Black Terns still in alternate plumage. Amazingly I found 3 American Bitterns again with two individuals following each other in flight. Here is my list for today:

Black-bellied Whistling Duck - 8

Wood Duck - 33

Pied-billed Grebe – 3

Neotropic Cormorant - 29 (Lots of young around now.)

Anhinga - 277 (Lots of fledging young.)

American Bittern - 3

Least Bittern - 2

Great-blue Heron - 3

Great Egret - 13

Snowy Egret - 18

Little-blue Heron - 54

Cattle Egret - 500

Green Heron - 15

Black-crowned Night-Heron - 3

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron - 6

White Ibis - 30

Black Vulture - 56

Turkey Vulture – 44

Mississippi Kite - 4

Red-shouldered Hawk - 3

King Rail - 2

Purple Gallinule - 70 adults

Common Gallinule - 47 adults and adult sized young.

American Coot – 3

Spotted Sandpiper - 1

Black Tern - 7

Mourning Dove - 8

Yellow-billed Cuckoo - 2

Ruby-throated Hummingbird - 1

Red-bellied Woodpecker - 1

Acadian Flycatcher - 2

Eastern Phoebe - 2

Eastern Kingbird - 2

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher - 7

White-eyed Vireo - 4

Bell's Vireo - 2

Red-eyed Vireo - 2

American Crow – 5

Fish Crow - 3

Tree Swallow - 5

Barn Swallow - 30

Carolina Wren – 8

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - 1

Yellow-throated Warbler - 1

Pine Warbler - 1

Common Yellowthroat - 5

Yellow-breasted Chat - 5

Summer Tanager - 4

Eastern Towhee - 2

Northern Cardinal – 14

Indigo Bunting - 15

Painted Bunting - 2

Dickcissel - 4

Red-winged Blackbird – 19

Common Grackle - 11

Brown-headed Cowbird - 1

Odonates:

Common Green Darner

Swamp Darner

Prince Baskettail

Four-spotted Pennant

Slaty Skimmer

Great-blue Skimmer

Eastern Pondhawk

Blue Dasher

Eastern Amberwing

Spot-winged Glider

Black Saddlebags

Herps:

American Alligator

Orange-striped Ribbon Snake

Southern Black Racer

Blanchard's Cricket Frog

Green Frog

Good birding!

David Arbour

De Queen, AR

Check out the Red Slough Photo Gallery: [ https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://pbase.com/red_slough_wma__;!!GNU8KkXDZlD12Q!6bKQ9AbyQMoySH9yoL98re6xdqTarc61A-QDrR3l9sVRz5ExbMyD0p-MtDJ7FTRnUkbkLjMVzx-GjXNyxlvDSQ$ [pbase[.]com] | https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://pbase.com/red_slough_wma__;!!GNU8KkXDZlD12Q!6bKQ9AbyQMoySH9yoL98re6xdqTarc61A-QDrR3l9sVRz5ExbMyD0p-MtDJ7FTRnUkbkLjMVzx-GjXNyxlvDSQ$ [pbase[.]com] ]

Birders Guide to the Red Slough WMA: [ https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/ouachita/landmanagement/resourcemanagement/?cid=fseprd1043423__;!!GNU8KkXDZlD12Q!6bKQ9AbyQMoySH9yoL98re6xdqTarc61A-QDrR3l9sVRz5ExbMyD0p-MtDJ7FTRnUkbkLjMVzx-GjXPCMzxOxQ$ [fs[.]usda[.]gov] | https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/ouachita/landmanagement/resourcemanagement/?cid=fseprd1043423__;!!GNU8KkXDZlD12Q!6bKQ9AbyQMoySH9yoL98re6xdqTarc61A-QDrR3l9sVRz5ExbMyD0p-MtDJ7FTRnUkbkLjMVzx-GjXPCMzxOxQ$ [fs[.]usda[.]gov] ]

Back to top
Date: 7/8/24 1:13 pm
From: Judy Simmons <whippoorwill42...>
Subject: Re: Recent Oklahoma Birds - 29 May-23 June

Back to top
Date: 7/8/24 10:09 am
From: shenthorn205 <shenthorn205...>
Subject: eBird -- Northeast/Zoo Lake Park -- Jul 08, 2024
Good weather, good birding todayNortheast/Zoo Lake ParkJul 08, 202411:11 AMTraveling0.50 miles150 minutesAll birds reported? YesComments:Calm, intermittent sun, 72-80. One unidentified egret or young little blue heron.6 Canada Goose 18 Mallard 2 Chimney Swift 1 Double-crested Cormorant 2 Black-crowned Night Heron 1 Snowy Egret 1 Green Heron 1 Western Cattle Egret 2 Great Egret 2 Great Blue Heron 10 white egret sp. 1 Turkey Vulture 3 Mississippi Kite 2 Red-shouldered Hawk 1 Belted Kingfisher 2 Red-bellied Woodpecker 2 Downy Woodpecker 3 Eastern Phoebe 4 Eastern Kingbird 1 Red-eyed Vireo 1 American Crow 2 Fish Crow 1 Carolina Chickadee 2 Tufted Titmouse 15 Barn Swallow 2 Cliff Swallow 2 Carolina Wren 2 Northern Mockingbird 6 House Sparrow 1 Brown-headed Cowbird 10 Great-tailed Grackle 4 Northern Cardinal 1 Blue Grosbeak Number of Taxa: 0

Back to top
Date: 7/7/24 9:46 am
From: Marta Harris <harrismarta8...>
Great pics! I especially like the Roadrunner with lizard. Thanks for
sharing ... Suzy Harris, Bartlesville

<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail__;!!GNU8KkXDZlD12Q!5cUrf4ppkOGewsH9iRSAIJFsQIalvfaqGcXHXku5EEtla9PVkNUsYjpUb5zFAWbbuZ4vj8OkT30lWvsXS4i83nCZ$ [avast[.]com]>
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail__;!!GNU8KkXDZlD12Q!5cUrf4ppkOGewsH9iRSAIJFsQIalvfaqGcXHXku5EEtla9PVkNUsYjpUb5zFAWbbuZ4vj8OkT30lWvsXS4i83nCZ$ [avast[.]com]>
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

On Sat, Jul 6, 2024 at 11:38 AM Bryan Reynolds <nature_photo_man...>
wrote:

> All,
>
> I've got tons of irons in the fire, but I was still able to get out a bit
> to photograph some local birds (mostly Cleveland and McClain counties) over
> the last month or so. This batch includes the obligatory Great Blue Heron
> photos of several individuals. I'm always trying to get action shots, and
> this time I got preening, scratching, taking off, and gagging. While
> fiddling around my property, I got a couple Ruby-throated Hummingbirds and
> an American Goldfinch. I did some photography around Purcell City Lake and
> was able to find a Baltimore Oriole nest and got a few shots of the adults
> with the nest. Other species include a Greater Roadrunner (with lizard
> prey and a thermoregulation shot), Great-tailed Grackle, both Black and
> Turkey Vultures, Carolina Wren, Northern Cardinals, Scissor-tailed
> Flycatchers (including a mating pair), Cattle Egret, Mississippi Kites,
> Eastern Bluebird, Eastern Kingbird, Northern Mockingbird, and a group of
> Wild Turkeys, hens and poults walking through my property.
>
> I've created an album here: Recent Oklahoma Birds - 29 May-23 June |
> Flickr
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.flickr.com/photos/bryanereynolds/albums/72177720318531618/__;!!GNU8KkXDZlD12Q!-cQMsf2BXM-4clFfIybAPL7JyHxNaJ2iX4KF-vgL5V77ygaiVd9Hger-zbT4leWeXasL70tWivrdWXE7BrPM5b1PXRhH0AY$>
>
> Any comments are always welcome.
>
> Take care,
> Bryan
>
> Bryan E. Reynolds
> Photographer/Writer/Consultant/Speaker
> My nature and wildlife photography portfolio
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.flickr.com/photos/bryanereynolds/albums/72157648698477036__;!!GNU8KkXDZlD12Q!-cQMsf2BXM-4clFfIybAPL7JyHxNaJ2iX4KF-vgL5V77ygaiVd9Hger-zbT4leWeXasL70tWivrdWXE7BrPM5b1PEq3SzMI$>

Back to top
Date: 7/6/24 8:24 am
From: Bryan Reynolds <nature_photo_man...>
Subject: Recent Oklahoma Birds - 29 May-23 June

I've created an album here: Recent Oklahoma Birds - 29 May-23 June | Flickr<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.flickr.com/photos/bryanereynolds/albums/72177720318531618/__;!!GNU8KkXDZlD12Q!-cQMsf2BXM-4clFfIybAPL7JyHxNaJ2iX4KF-vgL5V77ygaiVd9Hger-zbT4leWeXasL70tWivrdWXE7BrPM5b1PXRhH0AY$ [flickr[.]com]>

Any comments are always welcome.

Take care,
Bryan

Bryan E. Reynolds
Photographer/Writer/Consultant/Speaker
My nature and wildlife photography portfolio<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.flickr.com/photos/bryanereynolds/albums/72157648698477036__;!!GNU8KkXDZlD12Q!-cQMsf2BXM-4clFfIybAPL7JyHxNaJ2iX4KF-vgL5V77ygaiVd9Hger-zbT4leWeXasL70tWivrdWXE7BrPM5b1PEq3SzMI$ [flickr[.]com]>

Back to top
Date: 7/4/24 3:06 pm
From: drhal2 Yocum <drhal2...>
Subject: Re: Hummingbirds feeding on Mimosa blossoms

Back to top
Date: 7/4/24 10:43 am
From: Jerry Davis <jwdavis...>
Often feeding on flower sources that are poor nectar sources, they are looking for small insects that make up more of their diet than nectar.

Jerry Wayne Davis
Hot Springs, AR

Date: 7/4/24 10:36 am
From: drhal2 Yocum <drhal2...>

Back to top
Date: 7/4/24 10:19 am
From: Mark and Mary Peterson <markandmarypeterson...>
I have seen this many times in my back yard and in the mimosa trees
along the Pathfinder Parkway in Bartlesville. The
Pathfinder Parkway is now completely open from the high school to Silver
Lake Road. Birding should be interesting, especially where there was
significant tornado damage.

On Wed, Jul 3, 2024, 8:57 PM drhal2 Yocum <drhal2...> wrote:

> I saw a Ruby throated hummer feeding on the Mimosa blossoms in my back
> yard tree. That is the first time I have noticed that happening. It does
> make sense if there is nectar there. My yard is a hummer paradise with many
> choices of flowers that we have put there for the birds.
> Mimosa trees are rather thick with leaves and likely I have just not
> noticed. It is sorta open and only 10-12 feet high with the flowers on top
> for the most part. If windy it is always moving and that makes the small
> hummers more difficult to see.
> Have others seen this? Real common just missed? Comments.
> Hal Yocum, Edmond
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 7/3/24 7:38 pm
From: <arbour...> <arbour...>
Subject: Red Slough Bird Survey - July 3

Shaney Gulick (TX), Laura Spurlock (TX), and I surveyed birds today at Red Slough and found 68 species. The weather was partly cloudy and hot with a light wind. I did not catch the morning flight out of the heronry like I usually do but decided to start first looking for woodland Passerines along the north part of Red Slough road. Not much singing going on anymore and I missed numerous warbler species that I know were there. Best highlights today were 3 American Bitterns and one adult Tricolored Heron. The American Bitterns I'm sure are probably nesting. I have been seeing them regularly in several places. The whole area is covered in recently fledged herons, egrets, Anhingas, and Neotropic Cormorants. Broods of gallinules (both species) are everywhere you look. Here is my list for today:

Black-bellied Whistling Duck - 7

Wood Duck - 11

Pied-billed Grebe – 4

Neotropic Cormorant - 22

Anhinga - 155

American Bittern - 3

Great-blue Heron - 10

Great Egret - 41

Snowy Egret - 181

Little-blue Heron - 71

Tricolored Heron - 1

Cattle Egret - 800

Green Heron - 15

Black-crowned Night-Heron - 1

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron - 11

White Ibis - 52

Black Vulture - 12

Turkey Vulture – 8

Mississippi Kite - 6

Red-shouldered Hawk - 6

Purple Gallinule - 82 adults

Common Gallinule - 58 adults and adult sized young.

American Coot – 2

Killdeer - 2

Greater Yellowlegs - 1

Lesser Yellowlegs - 2

Least Sandpiper - 2

Mourning Dove - 11

Yellow-billed Cuckoo - 6

Barred Owl - 1

Ruby-throated Hummingbird - 1

Red-bellied Woodpecker - 3

Downy Woodpecker - 2

Eastern Wood-Pewee - 1

Acadian Flycatcher - 1

Eastern Phoebe - 1

Great-crested Flycatcher - 1

Eastern Kingbird - 1

White-eyed Vireo - 9

Yellow-throated Vireo - 1

Red-eyed Vireo - 2

Blue Jay - 1

American Crow – 8

Fish Crow - 3

Purple Martin - 3

Tree Swallow - 5

Cliff Swallow - 1

Barn Swallow - 11

Carolina Chickadee – 3

Tufted Titmouse - 3

Carolina Wren – 7

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - 2

Yellow-throated Warbler - 1

Pine Warbler - 1

Prothonotary Warbler - 5

Common Yellowthroat - 4

Yellow-breasted Chat - 4

Summer Tanager - 2

Northern Cardinal – 12

Blue Grosbeak - 1

Indigo Bunting - 7

Painted Bunting - 4

Dickcissel - 2

Red-winged Blackbird – 18

Common Grackle - 3

Brown-headed Cowbird - 2

Orchard Oriole - 2

House Finch - 3

Odonates:

Lilypad Forktail

Cyrano Darner

Mocha Emerald

Prince Baskettail

Royal River Cruiser

Four-spotted Pennant

Halloween Pennant

Slaty Skimmer

Painted Skimmer

Eastern Pondhawk

Blue Dasher

Wandering Glider

"red" Saddlebags species

Black Saddlebags

Herps:

American Alligator

Stinkpot

Spiny Softshell Turtle

Red-eared Slider

Green Treefrog

Green Frog

Bullfrog

Good birding!

David Arbour

De Queen, AR

Check out the Red Slough Photo Gallery: [ https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://pbase.com/red_slough_wma__;!!GNU8KkXDZlD12Q!7iB682q741BF1SJWd_bS_q6P_j8UpKSgZwHFl9V9_M9DgeqFXD0unAViPGf8fCsCdcYKgGYaHf7z8SbpdKnjuA$ [pbase[.]com] | https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://pbase.com/red_slough_wma__;!!GNU8KkXDZlD12Q!7iB682q741BF1SJWd_bS_q6P_j8UpKSgZwHFl9V9_M9DgeqFXD0unAViPGf8fCsCdcYKgGYaHf7z8SbpdKnjuA$ [pbase[.]com] ]

Birders Guide to the Red Slough WMA: [ https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/ouachita/landmanagement/resourcemanagement/?cid=fseprd1043423__;!!GNU8KkXDZlD12Q!7iB682q741BF1SJWd_bS_q6P_j8UpKSgZwHFl9V9_M9DgeqFXD0unAViPGf8fCsCdcYKgGYaHf7z8SYOtqjqhg$ [fs[.]usda[.]gov] | https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/ouachita/landmanagement/resourcemanagement/?cid=fseprd1043423__;!!GNU8KkXDZlD12Q!7iB682q741BF1SJWd_bS_q6P_j8UpKSgZwHFl9V9_M9DgeqFXD0unAViPGf8fCsCdcYKgGYaHf7z8SYOtqjqhg$ [fs[.]usda[.]gov] ]

Back to top

Date: 7/1/24 10:05 am
From: Patricia Velte <pvelte...>
Subject: July Migration Report

DearOK Birders,

Thelists for Arrivals and Departures are below.

Hereare ARRIVALS

Rufous Hummingbird

July 22 - PAN, SW

American Avocet

July 14 - C, SC, NE, SE

Semipalmated Plover

July 12 - ALL

Piping Plover

July 19 - NW, SW, C, SC, NE

Snowy Plover

July 19 - C, SC, NE

Long-billed Curlew

July 4 - NW, SW, C, SC

Marbled Godwit

July 1 - PAN, NW, SW, C, SC, NE

Ruddy Turnstone

July 26 - NW, SW, C, SC, NE, SE: West to Alfalfa, Major and Blaine cos. Only in NW; and west to Washita, Kiowa and Tillman cos. Only in SW

Red Knot

July 28 - NW, C, NE: Rare in Alfalfa Co. Only

Stilt Sandpiper

July 12 - ALL

Sanderling

July 28 - ALL

Baird's Sandpiper

July 7 - ALL

Least Sandpiper

July 1 - PAN

Buff-breasted Sandpiper

July 26 - NW, SW, C, SC, NE, SE: West to Woods, Woodward, Dewey and Custer cos Only in NW; and west to Washita Kiowa and Tillman cos. Only in SW

Pectoral Sandpiper

July 9 - ALL

Semipalmated Sandpiper

July 6 - ALL

Western Sandpiper

July 6 - ALL

Short-billed Dowitcher

July 1 - NW, SW, C, SC, NE, SE

Long-billed Dowitcher

July 10 - ALL

Spotted Sandpiper

July 4 - NW, SW, C, SC, NE, SE

Solitary Sandpiper

July 1 - ALL

Willet

July 1 - ALL

Wilson's Phalarope

July 20 - SW, C, SC, NE, SE

Caspian Tern

July 11 - ALL

Forster's Tern

July 10 - PAN, NW, SW, NE

White-faced Ibis

July 26 - SW, C, SC, NE, SE East to Washington, Tulsa and Muskogee cos Only

Swainson's Hawk

July 14 - SE

Peregrine Falcon

July 28 - ALL

Willow Flycatcher

July 30 - ALL

Least Flycatcher

July 15 - ALL

Bank Swallow

July 22 - ALL

Sedge Wren

July 25 - NE, SE

Yellow Warbler

July 20 - SW and July 25 - SE

Yellow-headed Blackbird

July 4 - PAN, NW, SW, C, SC, NE

DEPARTURE

Glossy Ibis

July 28 - NW, SW, C, SE Rare in Alfalfa and Major cos Only in NW; Rare in Tillman Co Only in SW; and Rare in southern McCurtain Co Only in SE

The Date Guide divides Oklahoma into 7 geographic regions,and lists the normal dates of occurrence for each Oklahoma bird species withineach region. Observers are urged to report unusual species, or birds out ofdate or out of normal range in Oklahoma, based on the information given in thispublication.

The Oklahoma Ornithological Society and Oklahoma BirdRecords Committee web site, https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.okbirds.org/,includes__;!!GNU8KkXDZlD12Q!5GtzJ6gfSZgOBMD-fwH-u6HY3ridm7uc5x1wv6mAwh0XFNDhldXl4XeuextDo7X8f7HZzmvhX6QNdrLI$ [okbirds[.]org] ordering information for the Date Guide to the Occurrences of Birds inOklahoma, information on documenting significant records, documentation forms,instructions, and a searchable database for Oklahoma bird migrationinformation. Birders are cordially invited to join the Oklahoma OrnithologicalSociety.

Happy birding!

Pat Velte

<pvelte...>

Oklahoma City, OK

Back to top
Date: 6/27/24 11:33 am
From: drhal2 Yocum <drhal2...>
Subject: Re: Trends on Jenkins
Far fewer hummingbirds also!
Hal Yocum
Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 27, 2024, at 1:05 PM, Richrd Gunn <richardgunn1940...> wrote:
>

> The year to year differences in bird species has always fascinated me. The following are not very scientific and very casual observations.
>
> This year for instance, fewer kingbirds and scissortails. Fewer swallow. We used to count on all 3 usual species. Now rough wings and an occasional barn. There have only been a couple Bells vireos, not many yellowthorated warblers, fewer fish crows and red shouldered hawks. No little blue herons and only a couple of yellow crowned night herons. Fewer great and cattle egrets. No nesting wood ducks.
> But lots of white eyed and red eyed and warbling vireos. Northern parulas, yes. Plenty of both buntings and blue grosbeaks. Bewicks and carolina wrens, yes. Unusual have been the consistent presence of Eastern wood pewees and yellow breasted chats.
>
> What is it? Weather? Global warming? Normal variation, changes in habitat or habitat loss? Land use? Farming practices? Traffic patterns? Aging eyes and ears?
> Damifino, but it's different this year...
> D.

Back to top
Date: 6/27/24 11:05 am
From: Richrd Gunn <richardgunn1940...>
[...]