OKbirds
Received From Subject
8/11/22 4:52 pm Harold Yocum <drhal2...> Re: Lake Hefner sandpipers
8/11/22 1:37 pm Jake Kirkland <kirklandj...> Re: Lake Hefner sandpipers
8/11/22 1:08 pm Jim Arterburn <jimarterburn...> Re: Lake Hefner
8/11/22 12:43 pm Matthew Jung <mpjung5125...> Lake Hefner sandpipers
8/11/22 12:16 pm Matthew Jung <mpjung5125...> Re: Lake Hefner
8/10/22 9:12 pm Jim Arterburn <jimarterburn...> Re: Lake Hefner
8/10/22 8:56 pm Matthew Jung <mpjung5125...> Lake Hefner
8/10/22 6:28 pm Mary Peterson <m_mpeterson...> Copan Lake and Wildlife Area on 8-10-2022
8/9/22 8:49 pm David Arbour <arbour...> Red Slough Bird Survey - August 9
8/9/22 4:26 pm shenthorn205 <shenthorn205...> Odd collection today
8/7/22 8:57 am David Arbour <arbour...> Red Slough Birding Convention
8/6/22 8:27 pm David Arbour <arbour...> A Birder's Guide to the Red Slough Wildlife Management Area
8/5/22 6:00 pm Steve Stone <steve.stone...> Re: Caspian teens at Hefner
8/5/22 6:00 pm Susanne Lutze <eztuls46...> Re: House Finches & purslane plants
8/5/22 5:54 pm Bob And Nancy <blnllaval...> Re: House Finches & purslane plants
8/5/22 4:41 pm Cindy Cloyd <cindy...> House Finches & purslane plants
8/5/22 3:36 pm Jake Kirkland <kirklandj...> Re: Caspian teens at Hefner
8/5/22 2:51 pm Harold Yocum <drhal2...> Caspian teens at Hefner
8/5/22 10:12 am Harold Yocum <drhal2...> Re: Piping Plover Lake Yahola Tulsa
8/5/22 9:56 am Zach Poland <zachapoland...> Piping Plover Lake Yahola Tulsa
8/2/22 5:45 pm David Arbour <arbour...> Red Slough Bird Survey - Aug. 2
8/1/22 4:44 pm Patricia Velte <pvelte...> August Migration Report
7/30/22 4:23 pm Melinda Droege <oklagranny26...> Re: Payne County - Cinnamon Teal, Yellow-bellied Flycatcher and other fall migrants
7/30/22 1:45 pm Scott Loss <scottrloss...> Payne County - Cinnamon Teal, Yellow-bellied Flycatcher and other fall migrants
7/28/22 8:07 pm Matthew Jung <mpjung5125...> Lake Herfner this morning.
7/28/22 8:36 am Scott Loss <scottrloss...> Snowy Plover - Lake Carl Blackwell
7/28/22 6:57 am Joe Grzybowski <j_grzybowski...> Laughing Gull at lake thunderbird
7/27/22 4:57 pm David Arbour <arbour...> Red Slough Bird Survey - July 27
7/26/22 10:16 am HAROLD YOCUM <drhal2...> Re: South Jenkins
7/26/22 9:39 am Richrd Gunn <richardgunn1940...> South Jenkins
7/26/22 8:16 am Deb Hirt <000000e8365c51d0-dmarc-request...> Re: Birders Live in A Word Of Wounds
7/25/22 6:07 pm Harold Yocum <drhal2...> Lake Hefner
7/25/22 1:44 pm Jake Kirkland <kirklandj...> Re: Lake Hefner
7/25/22 12:01 pm Matthew Jung <mpjung5125...> Lake Hefner
7/24/22 4:26 pm <dball2812...> <000001a90802ba6e-dmarc-request...> Painted Bunting
7/23/22 12:17 pm laura hulbert <lhulbert1123...> Community Outreach for Ornithology
7/23/22 8:21 am JOS GRZYBOWSKI <j_grzybowski...> Short-billed Dowitcher at L. Thunderbird
7/21/22 8:11 am Harold Yocum <drhal2...> Re: Nice collection. Was surprised to witness two green herons, little blue heron and two brown thrashers.eBird -- Northeast/Zoo Lake Park -- Jul 21, 2022
7/21/22 7:24 am shenthorn205 <shenthorn205...> Nice collection. Was surprised to witness two green herons, little blue heron and two brown thrashers.eBird -- Northeast/Zoo Lake Park -- Jul 21, 2022
7/20/22 6:38 am Harold Yocum <drhal2...> Re: Birds in the mist
7/19/22 8:50 pm Kurt Meisenzahl <meisenzk...> Birds in the mist
7/19/22 8:18 pm David Arbour <arbour...> Red Slough Bird Survey - July 19
7/16/22 12:58 pm Sandy Berger <sndbrgr...> Limpkin
7/16/22 6:25 am Ribitzki <lribitzki...> Re: Limpkins?
7/16/22 4:37 am Sandy Berger <sndbrgr...> Re: Limpkins?
7/16/22 4:06 am janis blanton <janis.blanton...> Re: Limpkins?
7/16/22 3:48 am Sandy Berger <sndbrgr...> Limpkins?

Back to top
Date: 8/11/22 4:52 pm
From: Harold Yocum <drhal2...>
Subject: Re: Lake Hefner sandpipers
In case you did not get an answer about the bridge and road south at Lake Hefner.
Road and bridge still closed. However you can exit to the west on the road along the canal. It goes to MacArthur. If you go 1 street south on MacArthur that street it goes back over to the park and one can go on east around the lake.
Hal Yocum

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 11, 2022, at 3:37 PM, Jake Kirkland <kirklandj...> wrote:
>

> HI Matt,
>
> Is the road back open over the bridge going south from PDP?
>
> -JK
>
>> On Thu, Aug 11, 2022 at 2:43 PM Matthew Jung <mpjung5125...> wrote:
>> Driving east from Prairie Dog Point, where the road turns south, I found Spotted, Bairds and Least Sandpipers along with Sanderlings and the usual suspects of terns, egrets and herons.
>>
>> Matt Jung, OKC

Back to top
Date: 8/11/22 1:37 pm
From: Jake Kirkland <kirklandj...>
HI Matt,

Is the road back open over the bridge going south from PDP?

-JK

On Thu, Aug 11, 2022 at 2:43 PM Matthew Jung <mpjung5125...> wrote:

> Driving east from Prairie Dog Point, where the road turns south, I found
> Spotted, Bairds and Least Sandpipers along with Sanderlings and the usual
> suspects of terns, egrets and herons.
>
> Matt Jung, OKC

Back to top
Date: 8/11/22 1:08 pm
From: Jim Arterburn <jimarterburn...>
Subject: Re: Lake Hefner
Thanks

> On Aug 11, 2022, at 2:18 PM, Matthew Jung <mpjung5125...> wrote:
>

> Hi Jim;
>
> Lake Hefner has a huge shore line; it looks 4' low!
>
> Today I had Spotted Sandpiper, Sanderlings, Least and Bairds Sandpipers along with the usual suspects.
>
> Matt
>
>> On Wed, Aug 10, 2022 at 11:02 PM Jim Arterburn <jimarterburn...> wrote:
>> Nice selection of birds. Not a lot around here that you can get close t enough to photograph. Is Hefner getting a shoreline around parts of the lake? That always made for a great fall for photographing birds.
>>
>> Jim

>>> I just looked at photos taken August 7, 2022, at Lake Hefner. I found 2 Caspian Terns, 2 Neotropic Cormorants, 1 LeastTern, 1 Lesser Black-backed Gull among the numerous Forster's Terns, a few Black Terns, DC Cormorants and Ring-billed Gulls. The area is the sand bar east of the Inlet.
>>>
>>> At Prairie Dog Point was an adult and a current hatch year Little Blue Heron. I've NOT seen this species since 2019!
>>>
>>> Matt Jung, OKC

Back to top

Date: 8/11/22 12:16 pm
From: Matthew Jung <mpjung5125...>
Hi Jim;

Lake Hefner has a huge shore line; it looks 4' low!

Today I had Spotted Sandpiper, Sanderlings, Least and Bairds
Sandpipers along with the usual suspects.

Matt

On Wed, Aug 10, 2022 at 11:02 PM Jim Arterburn <jimarterburn...> wrote:

> Nice selection of birds. Not a lot around here that you can get close t
> enough to photograph. Is Hefner getting a shoreline around parts of the
> lake? That always made for a great fall for photographing birds.
>
> Jim
>
> On Aug 10, 2022, at 10:58 PM, Matthew Jung <mpjung5125...> wrote:
>

> I just looked at photos taken August 7, 2022, at Lake Hefner. I found 2
> Caspian Terns, 2 Neotropic Cormorants, 1 LeastTern, 1 Lesser Black-backed
> Gull among the numerous Forster's Terns, a few Black Terns, DC Cormorants
> and Ring-billed Gulls. The area is the sand bar east of the Inlet.
>
> At Prairie Dog Point was an adult and a current hatch year Little Blue
> Heron. I've NOT seen this species since 2019!
>
> Matt Jung, OKC

Back to top
Date: 8/10/22 9:12 pm
From: Jim Arterburn <jimarterburn...>
Nice selection of birds. Not a lot around here that you can get close t enough to photograph. Is Hefner getting a shoreline around parts of the lake? That always made for a great fall for photographing birds.

Jim

> On Aug 10, 2022, at 10:58 PM, Matthew Jung <mpjung5125...> wrote:
>

> I just looked at photos taken August 7, 2022, at Lake Hefner. I found 2 Caspian Terns, 2 Neotropic Cormorants, 1 LeastTern, 1 Lesser Black-backed Gull among the numerous Forster's Terns, a few Black Terns, DC Cormorants and Ring-billed Gulls. The area is the sand bar east of the Inlet.
>
> At Prairie Dog Point was an adult and a current hatch year Little Blue Heron. I've NOT seen this species since 2019!
>
> Matt Jung, OKC

Back to top

Date: 8/10/22 6:28 pm
From: Mary Peterson <m_mpeterson...>
Subject: Copan Lake and Wildlife Area on 8-10-2022
Hello All,
I went up to Copan Lake and Copan Wildlife Area this morning. There is a large mudflat at the Tallgrass Wetlands north of Copan Lake. I also went to Washington Cove. Highlights included:

Green-winged Teal-2
American White Pelican-500+
Double-crested Cormorant-30+
Neotropic Cormorant-1 on stump with double-crests out from Washington Cove
Great Egret-200+
Killdeer-20
Lesser Yellowlegs-2
Solitary Sandpiper-10
Spotted Sandpiper-2
Upland Sandpiper-2
Semipalmated Sandpiper-2
Least Sandpiper-4
Pectoral Sandpiper-20
Stilt Sandpiper-2
Short-billed Dowitcher-1 Juvenile
Bell's Vireo-10+

Mark Peterson
Bartlesville

Back to top
Date: 8/9/22 8:49 pm
From: David Arbour <arbour...>
Subject: Red Slough Bird Survey - August 9
It was overcast, mild (70's), and a little windy with a shower on the bird
survey today. 59 species were found. Best highlights today were three of
the continuing Limpkins and a juvenile Merlin. This is only the 2nd Merlin
I have found in the Summer at Red Slough in 23 years of surveying. Here is
my list for today:

Black-bellied Whistling Duck - 19

Canada Goose - 12

Wood Duck - 34

Pied-billed Grebe - 4

Neotropic Cormorant - 12

Anhinga - 48 (adults & fledglings )

Least Bittern - 1

Great-blue Heron - 4

Great Egret - 79 (Numbers increasing)

Snowy Egret - 28 (Low count; difficult to get an accurate count in the near
darkness as they leave the heronry as they blend in with the other egrets.)

Little-blue Heron - 29 (Numbers are dropping as birds are dispersing; Also
juveniles are being missed as they are difficult to separate from the other
egrets in the near darkness of the morning flight from the heronry, so my
count on them is low.)

Cattle Egret - ~20,000

Green Heron - 5

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron - 3

White Ibis - 144

Black Vulture - 7

Turkey Vulture - 6

Mississippi Kite - 1

Red-shouldered Hawk - 1

Merlin - 1 juv.

King Rail - 1

Purple Gallinule - 117 (adults & older young. Also, numerous broods of
smaller young.)

Common Gallinule - 95 (adults & older young. Also, numerous broods of
smaller young.)

American Coot - 3

Limpkin - 3

Killdeer - 1

Solitary Sandpiper - 3

Greater Yellowlegs - 1

Upland Sandpiper - 2

Least Sandpiper - 2

Mourning Dove - 1

Owl species (large) - 1

Yellow-billed Cuckoo - 5

Ruby-throated Hummingbird - 8

Red-bellied Woodpecker - 1

Downy Woodpecker - 1

Pileated Woodpecker - 1

Alder Flycatcher - 2 (feeding on Roughleaf Dogwood berries.)

Willow Flycatcher - 2 (feeding on Roughleaf Dogwood berries.)

Least Flycatcher - 1 (feeding on Roughleaf Dogwood berries.)

Eastern Phoebe - 1 (feeding on Roughleaf Dogwood berries.)

Great-crested Flycatcher - 2 (feeding on Roughleaf Dogwood berries.)

Eastern Kingbird - 2

White-eyed Vireo - 5

American Crow - 2

Fish Crow - 2

Northern Rough-winged Swallow - 2

Barn Swallow - 7

Carolina Chickadee - 2

Tufted Titmouse - 1

Carolina Wren - 5

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - 3

Prothonotary Warbler - 1

Common Yellowthroat - 4

Summer Tanager - 2 (One feeding on Roughleaf Dogwood berries.)

Northern Cardinal - 4

Indigo Bunting - 8

Red-winged Blackbird - 157

Common Grackle - 150

Odonates:

Four-spotted Pennant

Halloween Pennant

Slaty Skimmer

Eastern Pondhawk

Blue Dasher

Spot-winged Glider

Wandering Glider

Herps:

Blanchard's Cricket Frog

Green Treefrog

Coastal Plain Leopard Frog

Green Frog

Good birding!

David Arbour

De Queen, AR

Back to top
Date: 8/9/22 4:26 pm
From: shenthorn205 <shenthorn205...>
Subject: Odd collection today
I just peered outside my window.  There are seven white winged doves at the sunflower oil feeder. I have never seen more than two.Also at Zoo Lake today I had FOS pied billed grebe and belted kingfisher as well as little blue heron and goldfinches.

Back to top
Date: 8/7/22 8:57 am
From: David Arbour <arbour...>
Subject: Red Slough Birding Convention
There's been some interest and talk about getting the Red Slough Birding
Convention back up and going if there is enough interest. If there is
interest out there let us know. Send me a reply at <arbour...> .

David

Back to top
Date: 8/6/22 8:27 pm
From: David Arbour <arbour...>
Subject: A Birder's Guide to the Red Slough Wildlife Management Area
A Birder's Guide to the Red Slough Wildlife Management Area is now available
for viewing and printing at the following link:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/ouachita/landmanagement/resourcemanagement/?c
id=fseprd1043423
<https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/ouachita/landmanagement/resourcemanagement/?
cid=fseprd1043423&fbclid=IwAR0t3m6gj1OEUE1dW1Ean2tktNgQDsrRSZnJ8Mi0K8KXGQ3Gr
xDbrpsXI5s>

Date: 8/5/22 6:00 pm
From: Steve Stone <steve.stone...>
Subject: Re: Caspian teens at Hefner
Nice

Steve Stone
Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 5, 2022, at 5:36 PM, Jake Kirkland <kirklandj...> wrote:
>

> I had 6 CASPIAN TERNS at Prairie Dog Point Lake Hefner this morning. Also 2 LEAST TERNS, 6 FORSTER'S TERNS, and ~28 BLACK TERNS a four tern species day.
>
> The AMERICAN AVOCET (11) were present with a single WILLET and a single SANDERLING. (2) LAUGHING GULLS (my 199th Oklahoma bird). A single SOLITARY SANDPIPER was my 200th bird for Oklahoma in a little over a year here.
>
> I did not see any stilts, curlew or godwit this morning but things might have been hunkered down a bit in the rain.
>
> Complete list here: https://ebird.org/checklist/S116374355
>
> -Jake Kirkland
> OKC
>
>> On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 4:56 PM Harold Yocum <drhal2...> wrote:
>> There are 2 large Caspian teens on the sandbar at Hefner now- far north end of it.
>> Hal Yocum
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 8/5/22 6:00 pm
From: Susanne Lutze <eztuls46...>
Subject: Re: House Finches & purslane plants
I interesting comment about purslane. It is growing wild in my gardens this
year! Never had it before. But no blooms on it.

On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 7:54 PM Bob And Nancy <blnllaval...>
wrote:

> We have had trouble with house finches eating broccoli leaves also.
> Bob LaVal
> Heavener
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Aug 5, 2022, at 6:41 PM, Cindy Cloyd <cindy...> wrote:
>

> I’ve grown purslane for many years in various pots & planters around the
> place because it’s such a good hot-weather plant. The house finches are
> really feasting on them this year & just within the last month. Hardly a
> bud comes up that a finch doesn’t get. They’re eating the leaves too but
> doesn’t seem to be enough to hurt the plant. There’s just no blooms left
> anymore. I don’t recall them ever making this much of an impact before.
> Could this be due to the extremely hot weather we’ve been having? They’re
> also feeding on blackoil seeds & are regulars at the birdbath.
>

> Cindy Cloyd
>
> Muskogee, OK
>

> --
"Carry a heart that never hates, a smile that never fades, and a touch that
never hurts."

Back to top
Date: 8/5/22 5:54 pm
From: Bob And Nancy <blnllaval...>
We have had trouble with house finches eating broccoli leaves also.
Bob LaVal
Heavener

Sent from my iPad

> On Aug 5, 2022, at 6:41 PM, Cindy Cloyd <cindy...> wrote:
>

> I’ve grown purslane for many years in various pots & planters around the place because it’s such a good hot-weather plant. The house finches are really feasting on them this year & just within the last month. Hardly a bud comes up that a finch doesn’t get. They’re eating the leaves too but doesn’t seem to be enough to hurt the plant. There’s just no blooms left anymore. I don’t recall them ever making this much of an impact before. Could this be due to the extremely hot weather we’ve been having? They’re also feeding on blackoil seeds & are regulars at the birdbath.
>
> Cindy Cloyd
> Muskogee, OK

Back to top

Date: 8/5/22 3:36 pm
From: Jake Kirkland <kirklandj...>
I had 6 CASPIAN TERNS at Prairie Dog Point Lake Hefner this morning. Also 2
LEAST TERNS, 6 FORSTER'S TERNS, and ~28 BLACK TERNS a four tern species day.

The AMERICAN AVOCET (11) were present with a single WILLET and a single
SANDERLING. (2) LAUGHING GULLS (my 199th Oklahoma bird). A single SOLITARY
SANDPIPER was my 200th bird for Oklahoma in a little over a year here.

I did not see any stilts, curlew or godwit this morning but things might
have been hunkered down a bit in the rain.

Complete list here: https://ebird.org/checklist/S116374355

-Jake Kirkland
OKC

On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 4:56 PM Harold Yocum <drhal2...> wrote:

> There are 2 large Caspian teens on the sandbar at Hefner now- far north
> end of it.
> Hal Yocum
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Back to top

Date: 8/5/22 10:12 am
From: Harold Yocum <drhal2...>
Subject: Re: Piping Plover Lake Yahola Tulsa
Zac, if I come up there this afternoon do you think likely still around?
Hal

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 5, 2022, at 11:57 AM, Zach Poland <zachapoland...> wrote:
>
> Good close looks at Piping Plover from Monument Point.
>
> ZAP

Back to top
Date: 8/5/22 9:56 am
From: Zach Poland <zachapoland...>
Subject: Piping Plover Lake Yahola Tulsa

Date: 8/2/22 5:45 pm
From: David Arbour <arbour...>
Subject: Red Slough Bird Survey - Aug. 2
It was partly cloudy and hot with a little wind on the bird survey today.
49 species were found. Best highlights today were a pair of Limpkins and a
White Ibis' nest with young. Lots of gallinule broods and fledgling
Anhingas, Neotropical Cormorants, and herons/egrets. Here is my list for
today:

Black-bellied Whistling Duck - 44

Wood Duck - 22

Pied-billed Grebe - 11 (also one had tiny young.)

Neotropic Cormorant - 15 (Adults & fledglings; also there were 2 nests that
still had young in them.)

Anhinga - 71 (adults & fledglings)

Great-blue Heron - 8

Great Egret - 8

Snowy Egret - 9

Little-blue Heron - 186

Cattle Egret - ~25,000 (numbers increasing weekly.)

Green Heron - 6

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron - 1

White Ibis - 149 (also found a nest with 2 near fledging young.)

Black Vulture - 13

Turkey Vulture - 35

Mississippi Kite - 2

King Rail - 1

Purple Gallinule - 83 (adults & older young. Also, numerous broods of
smaller young.)

Common Gallinule - 108 (adults & older young. Also, numerous broods of
smaller young.)

American Coot - 1

Limpkin - 2 (pair together)

Spotted Sandpiper - 1

Solitary Sandpiper - 3

Mourning Dove - 1

Yellow-billed Cuckoo - 3

Ruby-throated Hummingbird - 2

Red-bellied Woodpecker - 1

Pileated Woodpecker - 1

Alder Flycatcher - 1

Eastern Phoebe - 1

Eastern Kingbird - 2

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher - 5

White-eyed Vireo - 5

American Crow - 6

Fish Crow - 7

Purple Martin - 1

Northern Rough-winged Swallow - 2

Barn Swallow - 2

Tufted Titmouse - 1

Carolina Wren - 4

Prothonotary Warbler - 3

Common Yellowthroat - 4

Summer Tanager - 1

Northern Cardinal - 4

Indigo Bunting - 3

Red-winged Blackbird - 73

Common Grackle - ~700

Brown-headed Cowbird - 1

Orchard Oriole - 1

Odonates:

Common Green Darner

Prince Baskettail

Halloween Pennant

Slaty Skimmer

Eastern Pondhawk

Blue Dasher

Wandering Glider

Black Saddlebags

Herps:

American Alligator

Musk Turtle

Red-eared Slider

Blanchard's Cricket Frog

Green Treefrog

Green Frog

Good birding!

David Arbour

De Queen, AR

Back to top
Date: 8/1/22 4:44 pm
From: Patricia Velte <pvelte...>
Subject: August Migration Report
Greetings OKBirders,

Below are the Arrival and Departure lists for August.

ARRIVALS

Green-winged Teal

August 26 - ALL

Sora

August 15 - ALL

Black-bellied Plover

August 2 - ALL

American Golden-Plover

August 28 - NW, SW, C, SC, NE, SE

Wilson's Snipe

August 21 - ALL

Red-necked Phalarope

August 28 - ALL

California Gull

August 11 - PAN, NW, C, SC, NE

Common Tern

August 18 - NW, C, SC, NE

American Bittern

August 25 - ALL

Osprey

August 15 - ALL

Northern Harrier

August 24 - SW, C, SC, SE

Olive-sided Flycatcher

August 18 - ALL

Western Wood-Pewee

August 16 - PAN Cimarron Co only

Alder Flycatcher

August 4 - C, SC, NE, SE

Hammond's Flycatcher

August 28 - PAN Rare in Cimarron Co only

Dusky Flycatcher

August 27 - Rare in Cimarron Co only

Cassin's Vireo

August 25 - PAN *rare in Cimarron Co only

Tree Swallow

August 1 - SW, C

White-breasted Nuthatch

August 30 - rare in Cimarron county only

Clay-colored Sparrow

August 18 - PAN

Brewer's Sparrow

August 25 - PAN *Cimarron co only

Brewer's Blackbird

August 27 - PAN

American Redstart

August 21 - ALL

Black-headed Grosbeak

August 21 - PAN

Black-throated Green Warbler

August 13 - ALL

Canada Warbler

August 28 - C, SC, NE, SE

Lazuli Bunting

August 18 -PAN

MacGillivray's Warbler

August 20 - PAN

Mourning Warbler

August 25 - C, SC, NE, SE

Northern Waterthrush

August 25 - AL

Virginia's Warbler

August 15 - PAN

DEPARTURES

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck

August 26 - NW, SW, C, SC

Western Kingbird

August 23 - NW, SW, C, SC, NE, SE - All counties except Delaware, Cherokee
and Adair in NE, and east to Pittsburg, Atoka and western Choctaw cos. In SE

Wood Thrush

August 28 - SW, C, SC, NE, SE * rare in Caddo and Comanche cos only in SW

Bachman's Sparrow

August 31 - NE, SE *rare in Osage, Creek, Okmulgee and Delaware cos only in
NE; rare in Atoka, Pushmataha and McCurtain cos only in SE

Louisiana Waterthrush

August 23 - NW, SW, C, SC, NE, SE *Major, Dewey and Blaine cos only in NW;
and Caddo and Comanche cos only in SW

Blue-winged Warbler

August 8 - NE

Prairie Warbler

August 20 - NE, SE

Scarlet Tanager

August 6 - NE, SE

Worm-eating Warbler

August 25 - NE, SE

The Date Guide divides Oklahoma into 7 geographic regions, and lists the
normal dates of occurrence for each Oklahoma bird species within each
region. Observers are urged to report unusual species, or birds out of date
or out of normal range in Oklahoma, based on the information given in this
publication.

The Oklahoma Ornithological Society and Oklahoma Bird Records Committee web
site, http://www.okbirds.org/
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?<u...>&d=DwMF
Ag&c=qKdtBuuu6dQK9MsRUVJ2DPXW6oayO8fu4TfEHS8sGNk&r=WtcHdIgfPcd5duugjo56RvrWK
XWbcpxsIgrqUhahxv0&m=SXP5X1rcGOTe-8BLcgBgfrQIffBnP0CwWFH-xk9Jzcs&s=Ou4jdCTr0
lwevtBN_Ud9l_b9MMORF9n9FuyumXmcXyc&e=> , includes ordering information for
the Date Guide to the Occurrences of Birds in Oklahoma, information on
documenting significant records, documentation forms, instructions, and a
searchable database for Oklahoma bird migration information. Birders are
cordially invited to join the Oklahoma Ornithological Society.

Happy birding!

Pat Velte

<pvelte...> <mailto:<pvelte...>

Oklahoma City, OK

Back to top
Date: 7/30/22 4:23 pm
From: Melinda Droege <oklagranny26...>
Subject: Re: Payne County - Cinnamon Teal, Yellow-bellied Flycatcher and other fall migrants
Scott,

Thanks for your update...you got lots of good ones! I noticed that the
Cinnamon Teal is in a restricted area, so not available to all? In any
case I appreciate you noted restricted area in eBird as in the past I have
gone places that I didn't have access to.
Thanks again for the Mexican Violetear!

Melinda Droege
Bville

On Sat, Jul 30, 2022 at 3:45 PM Scott Loss <scottrloss...> wrote:

> I took advantage of the cool weather today and birded all around the
> Stillwater area in Payne County.
>
> There were lots of early migrants out there including some rarities - my
> best sightings were a Yellow-bellied Flycatcher along the Cimarron River at
> Hackelman Rd, and a Cinnamon Teal (male nonbreeding plumage) at the Cushing
> Water Treatment Plant. The teal sighting seems especially notable as there
> appear to be very few Oklahoma records east of I-35 outside of spring.
>
> Also uncommon for Payne County in July were a Hooded Merganser at Cushing,
> a singing Alder Flycatcher at the OSU botanical garden, and a Swainson's
> Hawk along 68th st just west of the Cimmaron River.
>
> Photos of the Yellow-bellied Flycatcher can be found in this eBird
> checklist: https://ebird.org/checklist/S116019131
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ebird.org/checklist/S116019131__;!!GNU8KkXDZlD12Q!9lOMEK-CuLF2-aS4KCnNnJZluCXrOo-my7YgUhTD2L2kkoAiUkAbLPWpDQKlmQhZu2l9lWC3mUWEb0tBwJ7r4g$>
>
> And a photo of the Cinnamon Teal can be found at:
> https://ebird.org/checklist/S116027331
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ebird.org/checklist/S116027331__;!!GNU8KkXDZlD12Q!9lOMEK-CuLF2-aS4KCnNnJZluCXrOo-my7YgUhTD2L2kkoAiUkAbLPWpDQKlmQhZu2l9lWC3mUWEb0vSPIRj6w$>
>
> Scott Loss
> Stillwater

Back to top

Date: 7/28/22 8:07 pm
From: Matthew Jung <mpjung5125...>
Subject: Lake Herfner this morning.
Again I checked the sandbar at the Inlet, it has grown! The Black and
Forster's Tern are still hanging around, the Caspian is gone and so were
the Ibis.

I found a single Avocet and several peeps, my best 'guess' is Baird's.
Killdeers were calling, 4 Pelicans were still presentI, 4 Cormorants
were high up on a dead snag.

The shore line going east was occupied by at least 28 Great Egrets and
another 9 Snowy Egrets. A handful of Great Blue Herons were also around.

Matt Jung, OKC

Back to top
Date: 7/28/22 8:36 am
From: Scott Loss <scottrloss...>
Subject: Snowy Plover - Lake Carl Blackwell
With the rain and approaching mid-summer cold front in northern Oklahoma
this morning, I headed out to Lake Carl Blackwell near Stillwater in hopes
of catching some early waterbird migrants. I was not disappointed, as there
were quite a few interesting-for-July birds at the lake. The best bird by
far was a Snowy Plover that flew in front of me and then briefly landed at
Ski Point before continuing on. Although this species nests only an hour
and a half northwest at the Salt Plains, it is very rare locally, and this
appears to be the first Payne County record.

Other interesting sightings included several Black Terns foraging over the
lake, and several other shorebirds including Least, Semipalmated, Upland,
Solitary, and Spotted Sandpipers.

Although we tend to think of July as the mid-summer doldrums birding-wise,
I'd encourage everyone to get out as much as possible, especially when
these summer cold fronts come through. Along with known early migrants like
shorebirds and terns, there are a lot of other interesting post-breeding
dispersal and early fall migration movements at this time of year!

Scott Loss
Stillwater

Back to top
Date: 7/28/22 6:57 am
From: Joe Grzybowski <j_grzybowski...>
Subject: Laughing Gull at lake thunderbird
Laughing Gulk. Immature seen from East Sentinel on Lake Thunderbird.

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 7/27/22 4:57 pm
From: David Arbour <arbour...>
Subject: Red Slough Bird Survey - July 27
Mike Dillon (TX) and I surveyed birds today at Red Slough and found 47
species. It was partly cloudy and hot with a light wind. Almost nothing
was singing. Oh note, we had one of the continuing Limpkins and
Black-bellied Whistling Ducks were apparently staging early as I had a large
flock of 30+ birds plus several smaller groups. The heronry is now full of
fledgling birds and gallinule young are everywhere you look. Here is our
list for today:

Black-bellied Whistling Duck - 43

Wood Duck - 17

Pied-billed Grebe - 10

Neotropic Cormorant - 10

Anhinga - 52

Great-blue Heron - 10

Great Egret - 17

Snowy Egret - 48

Little-blue Heron - 114

Cattle Egret - ~20,000

Green Heron - 17

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron - 5

White Ibis - 211

Black Vulture - 6

Turkey Vulture - 23

Mississippi Kite - 3

Purple Gallinule - 86 (adults & older young. Also, numerous broods of
smaller young.)

Common Gallinule - 75 (adults & older young. Also, numerous broods of
smaller young.)

American Coot - 1

Limpkin - 1

Spotted Sandpiper - 1

Solitary Sandpiper - 5

Greater Yellowlegs - 1

Yellow-billed Cuckoo - 1

Ruby-throated Hummingbird - 4

Red-bellied Woodpecker - 2

Downy Woodpecker - 1

Eastern Kingbird - 1

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher - 1

White-eyed Vireo - 4

American Crow - 4

Fish Crow - 1

Tree Swallow - 3

Northern Rough-winged Swallow - 2

Cliff Swallow - 26

Barn Swallow - 13

Carolina Chickadee - 3

Tufted Titmouse - 1

Carolina Wren - 2

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - 2

Common Yellowthroat - 4

Eastern Towhee - 1

Northern Cardinal - 8

Indigo Bunting - 9

Painted Bunting - 2

Red-winged Blackbird - ~400

Common Grackle - ~400

Odonates:

Prince Baskettail

Halloween Pennant

Slaty Skimmer

Eastern Pondhawk

Blue Dasher

Spot-winged Glider

Wandering Glider

Black Saddlebags

Herps:

American Alligator

Blanchard's Cricket Frog

Coastal Plain Leopard Frog

Good birding!

David Arbour

De Queen, AR

Back to top
Date: 7/26/22 10:16 am
From: HAROLD YOCUM <drhal2...>
Subject: Re: South Jenkins
Dick, that is happening all over. The small creek in Mitch Park is flowing at a trickle. Lake Hefner is way down now. It does leave or produce some mud flats and yesterday we had some nice arrivals there- dark ibis, black , Forsters and a Caspian terns.

Hal Yocum, Edmond

> On July 26, 2022 at 12:38 PM Richrd Gunn <richardgunn1940...> wrote:
>
> Nothing but same old summer birds...but for the first time I can recall Bishop creek, the one running parallel to Jenkins on the east, has virtually dried up a few pools but no longer flowing...it had been getting smaller and smaller since the last rains but now it is just sand and drying moss...

Back to top

Date: 7/26/22 8:16 am
From: Deb Hirt <000000e8365c51d0-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: Birders Live in A Word Of Wounds
Fabulous work, Jerry.  I knew that you would come up with something over the top.  Thanks for caring and keep up with the great work, as you are an outstanding advocate.
Deb Hirt

Date: 7/25/22 6:07 pm
From: Harold Yocum <drhal2...>
Thanks for the tips today about some new arrivals out at lake Hefner. I went out there about 4:50 and located all the same birds as others have reported on the sandbar just SE of the inflow canal.
Several year birds for me.
Hal Yocum, Edmond

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 7/25/22 1:44 pm
From: Jake Kirkland <kirklandj...>
Thanks to Matt's tip, I jumped up to Lake Hefner quickly for a late lunch.
Of note, construction has changed since my last visit. The inlet is no
longer accessible from the south, and you have to come in from the
northeast side via Britton and Prairie Dog point. There is a lot more
shoreline on the lake right now. We need some rain.

The 11 Ibis continued. I also had a little blue heron, DCCO, and a couple
more AW pelicans. The heat waves were distorting at the moderate distance
out and 103F temps, so getting white-faced over glossy for every bird was a
bit tough for me. Of course, white-faced is much likelier, and Matt knows
what he is talking about, so I am not doubting WFIB.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S115749918

Jake Kirkland
OKC

On Mon, Jul 25, 2022 at 2:01 PM Matthew Jung <mpjung5125...> wrote:

> At the Inlet a sand bar has developed and it held a nice assortment of
> Birds:
>
> White-faced Ibis, I counted 11
> One Caspian Tern
> small flock of Least Sandpipers
> about 15 Black Terns
> about 20 Forster's Terns
> one Franklin's Gull
> one Ring-billed Gull
> two American White Pelicans
> 3 Great Blue Herons
> Great Egrets, lots of them
> two Snowy Egrets
>
> Matt Jung, OKC

Back to top

Date: 7/24/22 4:26 pm
From: <dball2812...> <000001a90802ba6e-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Painted Bunting
Near Bixby Oklahoma. We just had a very beautiful Painted Bunting in our bird bath.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Back to top
Date: 7/23/22 12:17 pm
From: laura hulbert <lhulbert1123...>
Subject: Community Outreach for Ornithology
Good afternoon! I hope this type of message is allowed, if not I apologize.

I wanted to reach out to some established birders who might know of someone
in Tahlequah who would be interested in some casual birding. I've put
together a FB group to help coordinate guided bird trips throughout
Tahlequah. This group is open to everyone regardless of their current
birding ability and bird knowledge.

All birding trips will be LGBTQ+ inclusive and mobility aid accessible. It
is my intention to grow the birding community by catering to the backyard
birders, and those who enjoy nature but either don't want to or are unable
to go on extensive hikes and excursions.

If you or anyone you know is interested in learning more about the native
birds of Oklahoma, please consider joining and spreading the word.

Let's go birding together!

Northeastern Oklahoma Birding Collective
<https://www.facebook.com/groups/324062643180031>

Laura Hulbet
she/her

Back to top
Date: 7/23/22 8:21 am
From: JOS GRZYBOWSKI <j_grzybowski...>
Subject: Short-billed Dowitcher at L. Thunderbird
Howdy,   Some shorebirds gathering on mud spit between Sentinel parking lots (east and north) at Lake Thunderbird.  Viewed from East Sentinel this morning.   Pulled out a short-billed Short-billed Dowitcher.  One maybe two Long-billeds present also.   And 12-15 Stilt Sandpipers and a few Least and Semis.
   FYI.  Need a scope and the heat waves build up in the afternoon.  Birds were restless. Lot of jostling.
CHEERS,                                     JOE Grzybowski

Back to top
Date: 7/21/22 8:11 am
From: Harold Yocum <drhal2...>
Subject: Re: Nice collection. Was surprised to witness two green herons, little blue heron and two brown thrashers.eBird -- Northeast/Zoo Lake Park -- Jul 21, 2022
A good list for sure!

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 21, 2022, at 9:24 AM, shenthorn205 <shenthorn205...> wrote:
>

> Northeast/Zoo Lake Park
> Jul 21, 2022
> 7:25 AM
> Traveling
> 0.60 miles
> 65 minutes
> All birds reported? Yes
> Comments:
> 80, calm, partly sunny
>
> 8 Canada Goose
> 3 Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon)
> 5 Chimney Swift
> 1 Great Blue Heron
> 1 Great Egret
> 1 Snowy Egret
> 1 Little Blue Heron
> 2 Green Heron
> 3 Red-bellied Woodpecker
> 1 Eastern Kingbird
> 1 Scissor-tailed Flycatcher
> 5 Blue Jay
> 3 American Crow
> 6 Barn Swallow
> 12 Cliff Swallow
> 1 Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
> 4 Carolina Wren
> 2 Brown Thrasher
> 8 American Robin
> 5 Northern Cardinal
>
> Number of Taxa: 0

Back to top
Date: 7/21/22 7:24 am
From: shenthorn205 <shenthorn205...>
Northeast/Zoo Lake ParkJul 21, 20227:25 AMTraveling0.60 miles65 minutesAll birds reported? YesComments:80, calm, partly sunny8 Canada Goose 3 Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 5 Chimney Swift 1 Great Blue Heron 1 Great Egret 1 Snowy Egret 1 Little Blue Heron 2 Green Heron 3 Red-bellied Woodpecker 1 Eastern Kingbird 1 Scissor-tailed Flycatcher 5 Blue Jay 3 American Crow 6 Barn Swallow 12 Cliff Swallow 1 Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 4 Carolina Wren 2 Brown Thrasher 8 American Robin 5 Northern Cardinal Number of Taxa: 0

Back to top
Date: 7/20/22 6:38 am
From: Harold Yocum <drhal2...>
Subject: Re: Birds in the mist
Nice yard full of birds. We still water the yard with a hose and sprinkler, both front and back. Where ever it is spraying we usually get our hummers to come and enjoy. Few others as well- bluebirds, young and adult robins,etc.
Hal Yocum

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 19, 2022, at 10:50 PM, Kurt Meisenzahl <meisenzk...> wrote:
>
> This afternoon, between 4:02 and 4:20 we saw the following birds visiting the mist in our yard.
>
> 1 White-winged Dove
> 1 Yellow-billed Cuckoo
> 3 Hummingbirds
> 1 Eastern Phoebe
> 1 Western Kingbird
> 5 Carolina Chickadees
> 1 Tufted Titmouse
> 4 Robins
> 1 House Sparrow
> 1 House Finch
> 2 Bullock’s Orioles
> 3 Cardinals
> 3 Indigo Buntings
> 1 Painted Bunting
>
> Kurt & Sharon Meisenzahl
> Lawton, OK
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Back to top

Date: 7/19/22 8:18 pm
From: David Arbour <arbour...>
Subject: Red Slough Bird Survey - July 19
Chris Lynch (OK) and I surveyed birds today and found 44 species. It was
partly cloudy and hot, with a light wind. Very little singing today. Rock
trucks were running in and out of the reservoirs re-rocking the graveled
levee road which affected my survey some. Best highlight were the
continuing Limpkins of which we found 3 today. A few shorebirds are
starting to show up. Here is our list for today:

Black-bellied Whistling Duck - 13

Wood Duck - 7

Pied-billed Grebe - 5

Neotropic Cormorant - 8

Anhinga - 60

Great-blue Heron - 4

Great Egret - 15

Snowy Egret - 34

Little-blue Heron - 71

Cattle Egret - ~10,000

Green Heron - 11

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron - 11

White Ibis - 629

Black Vulture - 48

Turkey Vulture - 16

Purple Gallinule - 60

Common Gallinule - 36

American Coot - 1

Limpkin - 3

Killdeer - 2

Solitary Sandpiper - 1

Least Sandpiper - 6

Pectoral Sandpiper - 1

Mourning Dove - 2

Yellow-billed Cuckoo - 2

Great-horned Owl - 1

Ruby-throated Hummingbird - 1

Eastern Kingbird - 2

White-eyed Vireo - 3

American Crow - 2

Tree Swallow - 3

Northern Rough-winged Swallow - 1

Cliff Swallow - 12

Barn Swallow - 10

Carolina Wren - 5

Northern Mockingbird - 1

Common Yellowthroat - 5

Eastern Towhee - 1

Northern Cardinal - 4

Indigo Bunting - 11

Painted Bunting - 4

Dickcissel - 2

Red-winged Blackbird - 100

Common Grackle - 23

Odonates:

Blue-fronted Dancer

Common Green Darner

Royal River Cruiser

Slaty Skimmer

Eastern Pondhawk

Common Whitetail

Blue Dasher

Wandering Glider

Herps:

Red-eared Slider

Broad-banded Watersnake

Blanchard's Cricket Frog

Good birding!

David Arbour

De Queen, AR

Back to top
Date: 7/16/22 12:58 pm
From: Sandy Berger <sndbrgr...>
Subject: Limpkin
Thanks to everyone for the help. Both those on okbirds and on the trail. I
got my life Limpkin. Birders are great.

Sandy B
At Oxley in Tulsa

Back to top
Date: 7/16/22 6:25 am
From: Ribitzki <lribitzki...>
Subject: Re: Limpkins?
Sandy,Lake Sherry is the Recreation Lake.Sent from my Galaxy
-------- Original message --------From: Sandy Berger <sndbrgr...> Date: 7/16/22 6:39 AM (GMT-06:00) To: <OKBIRDS...> Subject: Re: Limpkins? Thank you. Is Lake Sherry the small lake near the center? Can’t find that name on the map. Only recreation lake. On Sat, Jul 16, 2022 at 6:06 AM janis blanton <janis.blanton...> wrote:
There are two limpkins there but they are generally seen separately.  Best places to spot them are along coal creek (near the two blinds) or by the observation tower.They are hanging out in lake sherry.  Be sure to look up in the trees as they are sometimes resting up there.  I’ve also seen them standing in the grass or working the grass along the stream I have had one come within a few feet of me So my word of advice is look along the bank beside the observation tower or near the two bird blinds where coal creek feeds into lake sherry.Sent from AT&T Yahoo Mail for iPhoneOn Saturday, July 16, 2022, 5:48 AM, Sandy Berger <sndbrgr...> wrote:Finally trying to see Tulsa limpkin. Has it been on recreation lake or the small pond at Oxley? And what trail is best to take? Thank you. Sandy B.

Back to top
Date: 7/16/22 4:37 am
From: Sandy Berger <sndbrgr...>

wrote:

> There are two limpkins there but they are generally seen separately.
>
> Best places to spot them are along coal creek (near the two blinds) or by
> the observation tower.
>
> They are hanging out in lake sherry. Be sure to look up in the trees as
> they are sometimes resting up there. I’ve also seen them standing in the
> grass or working the grass along the stream
>
> I have had one come within a few feet of me
>
> So my word of advice is look along the bank beside the observation tower
> or near the two bird blinds where coal creek feeds into lake sherry.
>

> Sent from AT&T Yahoo Mail for iPhone
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://more.att.com/currently/imap__;!!GNU8KkXDZlD12Q!_VCmqvE_KW7hVpEgGkXmYTKVpnlqkupkCDCyhJPYVBEc4fkc6q3WwDs0zCdhT1Z14AdUCFD8Vu-PdCzklDl6FMiKXB_X8w$>
>

> On Saturday, July 16, 2022, 5:48 AM, Sandy Berger <sndbrgr...>
> wrote:
>
> Finally trying to see Tulsa limpkin. Has it been on recreation lake or the
> small pond at Oxley? And what trail is best to take? Thank you.
>
> Sandy B.

Back to top

Date: 7/16/22 3:48 am
From: Sandy Berger <sndbrgr...>
Subject: Limpkins?
Finally trying to see Tulsa limpkin. Has it been on recreation lake or the
small pond at Oxley? And what trail is best to take? Thank you.

Sandy B.

Join us on Facebook!