WYOBIRDS
Received From Subject
4/25/17 12:53 pm Jason Beason <aeronautes.saxatalis...> EKW & JTL Gravel Ponds - Apr 25
4/25/17 7:20 am Barb GORGES <bgorges4...> Raptor program Apr. 27, 7 p.m. Cottonwood Room, Laramie County Library, 2200 Pioneer, Cheyenne
4/24/17 8:49 pm Rich Weaver <popeyeweaver...> FOY birds and birding highlights
4/24/17 2:57 pm Chris Michelson <0000001af3511208-dmarc-request...> migrants
4/24/17 1:39 pm Ann Hines <annhines12...> sap
4/24/17 7:42 am Deibert, Pat <pat_deibert...> more pennies
4/23/17 9:39 am Jan Hoar <hoarwest...> East of Cody
4/23/17 9:26 am CJ Grimes <cjgrimes...> More early dates?
4/22/17 6:50 am Gary & Judi Ogle <wypafl...> killdeer
4/21/17 8:04 pm Jennifer Adams <ravenssong18...> Keyhole birding
4/21/17 3:09 pm Hustace Scott <hustace...>
4/21/17 1:20 pm CJ Grimes <cjgrimes...> This week around the Bighorns
4/21/17 8:06 am debbie wagner <dwagner...> Birding between the rains
4/20/17 11:02 pm Chuck Seniawski <000000156665bc53-dmarc-request...> Curt Gowdy State Park
4/20/17 9:24 pm Bill Vetter <Wm_vetter...> Fishing Lake - Gillette
4/20/17 12:21 pm Kendra David <000004ea7a81524d-dmarc-request...> Burlington Lake, Apr 20, 2017
4/19/17 12:20 pm Zachariah Hutchinson <zachsbirdnerds...> Lesser Black-backed Gull
4/19/17 8:31 am Jason Beason <aeronautes.saxatalis...> Edness Kimball Wilkins SP, Natrona Co. - Apr 19
4/18/17 1:05 pm Rich Weaver <popeyeweaver...> FOY white faced Ibis
4/18/17 9:04 am Rosemarie Hughes <ospreywatch26...> Unsubscribe
4/18/17 7:40 am Gary & Judi Ogle <wypafl...> Spring signs
4/18/17 5:59 am George Jones <jonesgp...> Laramie: Lincoln's sparrow, Swainson's hawks
4/17/17 6:36 pm Ann Hines <annhines12...> trip
4/17/17 3:24 pm Harry <harry...> EKW this morning
4/17/17 6:19 am Zachariah Hutchinson <zachsbirdnerds...> The Wyoming Bird Trail
4/16/17 7:25 pm Hustace Scott <hustace...>
4/16/17 12:32 pm Nathaniel Behl <behlx008...> Big day on the plains
4/15/17 7:38 am Chuck Seniawski <000000156665bc53-dmarc-request...> Cheyenne Back Yard
4/15/17 7:25 am Chuck Seniawski <000000156665bc53-dmarc-request...> Wyoming Hereford Ranch
4/15/17 7:21 am Chuck Seniawski <000000156665bc53-dmarc-request...> Wyoming Hereford Ranch - Reservoir 1
4/14/17 8:49 pm Cody Porter <empidonaxdvg...> Laramie area stuff
4/12/17 2:41 pm Bob & Suzanne Hargis <bhargis...> Fwd: eBird Report - Ocean Lake north Pavillion, Apr 12, 2017
4/12/17 9:16 am Chris Michelson <0000001af3511208-dmarc-request...> yellow-rumped warbler
4/12/17 8:23 am Zachariah Hutchinson <zachsbirdnerds...> Common Poorwill
4/12/17 7:21 am Deibert, Pat <pat_deibert...> in for a penny....
4/12/17 4:19 am Hustace Scott <hustace...>
4/11/17 8:31 pm Sarah Dominic <000004e044780be3-dmarc-request...> Goldeneye Reservoir April 11, 2017 (Natrona County)
4/9/17 11:05 am Chuck Seniawski <000000156665bc53-dmarc-request...> Wyoming Hereford Ranch
4/9/17 11:02 am Chuck Seniawski <000000156665bc53-dmarc-request...> Wyoming Hereford Ranch - Reservoir 1
4/9/17 6:53 am Elizabeth Boehm <eboehmphoto...> Ospreys
4/8/17 7:13 pm Hustace Scott <hustace...>
4/8/17 6:15 pm Dee Oudin <wdoudin...> Osprey
4/8/17 5:35 pm <jgwindsong...> Sundance and Keyhole
4/8/17 3:49 pm Jennifer Adams <ravenssong18...> Cranes
4/8/17 11:06 am Chris Michelson <0000001af3511208-dmarc-request...> unusual migrant
4/4/17 8:14 am Barb GORGES <bgorges4...> Apologies from Cheyenne Audubon
4/4/17 7:42 am Cheyenne - High Plains Audubon Society <bgorges4...> Cheyenne Audubon Apr. 27 special free raptor program
4/4/17 7:26 am Cheyenne - High Plains Audubon Society <bgorges4...> Cheyenne Audubon Apr. 22 field trip: Sharp-tailed Grouse lek viewing
4/4/17 7:17 am Cheyenne - High Plains Audubon Society <bgorges4...> Cheyenne Audubon Apr. 18 lecture: Crow Creek restoration
4/2/17 4:08 pm Hustace Scott <hustace...>
4/1/17 4:24 pm Kendra David <000004ea7a81524d-dmarc-request...> Burlington Lake, Apr 1, 2017
3/31/17 1:25 pm Chuck Seniawski <000000156665bc53-dmarc-request...> Cheyenne Country Club
3/31/17 12:57 pm Eva Crane <evacrane...> Tree swallow in lander
3/31/17 12:34 pm Grant Frost <frostgrant2...> Yellow-headed blackbird*
3/31/17 10:57 am Donald Jones <dwilbertjones...> Hutton Lake NWR
3/30/17 1:11 pm Rosemarie Hughes <ospreywatch26...> Turkey Vultures in Cody
3/30/17 11:12 am Rich Weaver <popeyeweaver...> FOY - JTL
3/29/17 11:44 am claylenef <claylenef...> Torrington backyard
3/28/17 9:44 am Deibert, Pat <pat_deibert...> Lek cam!!!!
3/28/17 9:35 am claylenef <claylenef...> Torrington
3/27/17 7:48 pm Matt Fraker <0000022256054407-dmarc-request...> Re: New early date?
3/27/17 4:15 pm CJ Grimes <cjgrimes...> New early date?
3/27/17 8:20 am Douglas Eddy <douglitas...> Early Ruby-crowned Kinglet
3/27/17 7:45 am Rosemarie Hughes <ospreywatch26...> Black-capped chickadee
3/27/17 6:19 am Hustace Scott <hustace...>

Back to top
Date: 4/25/17 12:53 pm
From: Jason Beason <aeronautes.saxatalis...>
Subject: EKW & JTL Gravel Ponds - Apr 25
EKW State Park wasn't as birdy as I was hoping. A handful of Yellow-rumped
Warblers, one Orange-crowned Warbler, 2 Great Horned Owls, and one
White-crowned Sparrow were highlights.

At JTL ponds there were 2 Common Loons, one Willet, 4 Caspian Terns, 2
Violet-green Swallows, and 7 Western Grebes. Sarah Baird stopped and
introduced herself!

--
Jason Beason
Avian Field Technician

^ ^

(OvO)

( )

" "

~~~~

Back to top
Date: 4/25/17 7:20 am
From: Barb GORGES <bgorges4...>
Subject: Raptor program Apr. 27, 7 p.m. Cottonwood Room, Laramie County Library, 2200 Pioneer, Cheyenne
Wyobirds subscribers and friends are welcome to attend this free program!

Contact: Barb Gorges, 307-287-4952
Cheyenne - High Plains Audubon Society

Cheyenne Audubon sponsoring free Buffalo Bill raptor program Apr. 27
The Cheyenne - High Plains Audubon Society is sponsoring a visit of the Buffalo Bill Center of the West's Draper Museum Raptor Experience free and open to the public Apr. 27 at 7 p.m. in the Cottonwood Room of the Laramie County Public Library, 2200 Pioneer Ave. The educational program features four live hawks and owls. See https://cheyenneaudubon.wordpress.com<https://cheyenneaudubon.wordpress.com/> for more information or call Mark, 307-287-4953.
The chapter and Laramie County School District #1 are sponsoring the program for nine visits to schools the same day and the following day.
Being a wild animal isn't easy, even if you are one of the top predators in North America. How can birds like hawks, falcons, and owls survive in an ever-changing world? Join the folks of the Draper Museum Raptor Experience and learn the phenomenal adaptations of these incredible animals including amazing eyesight, hovering capabilities, and camouflage, just to name a few. Four live birds will accompany the program, bringing with them a greater appreciation for their species and their abilities.
The Draper Museum Raptor Experience is an educational outreach program of the Draper Natural History Museum at the Buffalo Bill Center of the West in Cody, Wyoming. The Raptor Experience uses permanently non-releasable birds of prey to teach audiences throughout the state and beyond about the importance of these majestic animals to the ecosystem.
xxx

Back to top
Date: 4/24/17 8:49 pm
From: Rich Weaver <popeyeweaver...>
Subject: FOY birds and birding highlights
Hello birders, yesterday on Sunday I went to Steamboat Lake where I saw 50
+ American avocets for First of the Year sighting. Steamboat Lake is
located south of Alcova Reservoir on the highway near the Pathfinder
Ranch. I also saw cinnamon teal for first of the year at GoldenEye
Reservoir. Moving on to County Road one two three I saw 16 white-faced
ibis on the north side of the road. on the Southside I saw great blue heron
for first of the year.

I went back to GoldenEye this afternoon on Monday. I saw yellow-headed
black birds for First of the Year there as well as white crowned Sparrows.
I also saw a female red-winged blackbird for the first time at GoldenEye
Reservoir .

With the sheer number of American avocet on Steamboat Lake I wonder if
these birds go to this Lake first during migration. If Punctuation is
incorrect in this message it is because I am speaking into my cell phone.
it's easier then typing it out on the cell phone. hahaha best birding
wishes during this migration time. Godspeed Richard

Back to top
Date: 4/24/17 2:57 pm
From: Chris Michelson <0000001af3511208-dmarc-request...>
Subject: migrants
Greetings birders
There were a number of migrants in the Casper area today despite the
weather or perhaps because of it. I noted several species of sparrow, lark
sparrow in several locations, a Lincoln's sparrow in EKW and a white-crowned
sparrow at the pond by the Elkhorn rehab hospital. There were both western
grebe and Clark's grebe at the JTL pond in Evansville, WY. Also present at
this location were an Avocet and a Caspian tern. I hate to report this
but at the marsh on county road 123 I had a bird that appeared to be a glossy
ibis. The blue facial skin was present along with dark feathering all the
way to the bill. No red facial skin or white around the bill were
observed. Since I am no expert on the hybrids between these two species I will
say only that I found nothing not expected for glossy ibis. Present on the
south side of the road at this same location were two great-tailed grackles
and one black-necked stilt. At goldeneye reservoir there was a Forster's
tern which was about all I saw before the deluge. Good birding to all.
Chris Michelson
Casper, WY

Back to top
Date: 4/24/17 1:39 pm
From: Ann Hines <annhines12...>
Subject: sap
I'm sooooo excited that I HAD to share. We had a Red-naped Sapsucker in our
yard this morning. A new yard bird!!!!!!!!!!! I saw him flying down to our
pond and thought, "I've never seen the Downy doing this." It flew to a
nearby tree then back down on the side of the pond where I got a good luck
of him. White Crown was back today also.

Ann

In Casper

Back to top
Date: 4/24/17 7:42 am
From: Deibert, Pat <pat_deibert...>
Subject: more pennies
I read with envy Stacey's post about hearing hummingbirds and have had
visions of spring ever since - even with the foot of snow we got Thursday
and Friday last week. While working in my home office yesterday I thought
I heard a familiar trill so retrieved two hummingbird feeders, cleaned and
filled them. Walla!!! Instant hummingbird! Then another! Suddenly I was
seeing them everywhere - perched in the pine trees, at my feeders, diving
at my dogs. Probably only 2 or 3 of them total, but seemed like many more
(yes, I want spring). It is a full week earlier than I have recorded in
the past and I can honestly say I've never had a foot of snow on the ground
when the hummingbirds arrived! A hummer "greeted" me this morning as I
left my house just before sunrise - if only all Monday's could start that
way!

So I'm off to the store today to start my investment in sugar. Also gotta
figure out where I stashed my hard hats..... The dogs have scouted out
their escape cover. We are ready - bring it on!!!

Happy birding!

Pat, in the burbs of Buford
--

Back to top
Date: 4/23/17 9:39 am
From: Jan Hoar <hoarwest...>
Subject: East of Cody
This report is a week late, but nonetheless it was exciting!

On Easter morning (4/16/2017) just east of Cody:

1 Burrowing Owl

1 Immature Golden Eagle

2 Long Billed Curlews

Sage Grouse displaying (they were quite spread out so it was hard to tell
how many)

Jan Hoar

Back to top
Date: 4/23/17 9:26 am
From: CJ Grimes <cjgrimes...>
Subject: More early dates?
On my last post I forgot to mention the Osprey and Spotted Towhee on Tuesday 4/18. Yesterday (4/22) was a new early date for Blue-gray Gnatcatcher in my yard. Peregrine Falcons were vocalizing all afternoon.

And today (4/23) I heard my first Black-throated Gray Warbler of the spring, which beats last year's by a week.

CJ Grimes
Ten Sleep

Back to top
Date: 4/22/17 6:50 am
From: Gary & Judi Ogle <wypafl...>
Subject: killdeer
I am enjoying my rock wrens hopping around the yard and yesterday I saw my first killdeer. I had heard them a few weeks ago, maybe passing through? But I finally saw a couple yesterday. Still waiting on those lark buntings!

Judi Ogle
N of Burns

Back to top
Date: 4/21/17 8:04 pm
From: Jennifer Adams <ravenssong18...>
Subject: Keyhole birding
Yesterday was a perfect day for birding Keyhole state park. Calm winds
allowed for some great sighting on the reservoir. We had 42 species.

Common Loon- 2 full breeding plumage
Pied-billed Grebe
Horned Grebe
American White Pelican
Double Crested Commorant
Great Blue Heron
Canada Goose
Green-winged Teal
Mallard
Northern Pintail
Northern Shoveler
Gadwall
American Widgeon
Lesser Scaup
Common Merganser
Ruddy Duck
Turkey Vulture
Osprey
Bald Eagle- Lots Some adults and some immatures
Golden Eagle
American Kestrel
American coot
Sandhill Crane- 2
Killdeer
American Avocet
Lesser Yellowlegs
Marbled Godwit
Bonaparte's Gull
Ring-billed Gull
California Gull
Belted Kingfisher
Northern Flickers all over
Black-billed Magpie
American Crow
Mountain Bluebird
Townsend Solitare
American Robin
Yellow-rumped Warbler-Audubon
Red-winged Blackbird
Western Meadowlark
Yellow-headed Blackbird
Common Grackle

--
Jennifer Adams

Back to top
Date: 4/21/17 3:09 pm
From: Hustace Scott <hustace...>
Subject:
Burrowing Owls are back. On Thursday, I had one in my irrigated field that
I am renewing. Until the alfalfa sprouts, the field is largely barren and
good Burrowing Owl habitat. I would have missed it, but some magpies
attacked it. I really don't want it to set up house keeping in my
irrigated field. There are lots of prairie dogs that aren't in the middle
of my fields.

On Wednesday, I also heard a Rock Wren across the road from my house. I
haven't spent any time in Rock Wren habitat lately, so I don't know when
they showed up.

Stacey Scott
SW of Casper

Back to top
Date: 4/21/17 1:20 pm
From: CJ Grimes <cjgrimes...>
Subject: This week around the Bighorns
Mostly around Ten Sleep actually, but first let me tell you about a chip note I heard in Sheridan on Wednesday right after the storm passed: I was in the vicinity of Thurmond and Heald streets on my bike when I heard a chip note repeated 4-5 times, so I stopped to have a look. I never did see the bird but I heard the call again several times over about 10 minutes. It was coming from down low in a dense row of hedges which were partially leafed out, and behind a fence on private property so I couldn't follow the bird as it got farther from the sidewalk. The call itself was similar to but slightly more harsh than the "sweet" of a Yellow Warbler, but less so than the "tink" of a White-crowned Sparrow. My very first thought was SWAMP SPARROW. I have not been able to persuade myself that it could have been anything else, but I am open to any suggestions you may have!

OK now on to the more expected species: On Friday 4/14 several new arrivals around Ten Sleep including: Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Rock Wren, Loggerhead Shrike, Mourning Dove, and Sagebrush Sparrow. I also heard a Canyon Wren on a fairly small sandstone outcrop in the badlands, which isn't entirely unexpected but I have not seen that species much away from the foothill canyons.
On Saturday a Chipping Sparrow was quietly foraging in my backyard, refueling from his long flight. Sunday morning he was up and singing away, and has been all week. The rain seems to have tapered off for now, time to get back out to see what's new.

CJ Grimes
Ten Sleep

Back to top
Date: 4/21/17 8:06 am
From: debbie wagner <dwagner...>
Subject: Birding between the rains
Hello Birders!
Yesterday Bob Hargis, Wanda Major, Sharon Orange and I went birding on Burma Rd, Alaska Rd, Paradise Valley, Missouri Valley, Bushwacker Rd, and Bass Lake. We tried to stay on the pavement but eventually we hit the dirt roads. Some were pretty muddy. Bob's truck got the brunt of the mudballs.
We saw:
Robins
Starlings
Eurasian Collared doves
Grackles
Meadowlarks
Snipes (winnowing)
Red winged blackbirds
Mourning doves
Red tailed hawks
House finches
Swainson's hawks (copulating)
Turkey Vultures
House sparrows
Savanna sparrow (sat and let Bob take pictures)
Horned larks
Ravens
California gulls and Ring billed gulls in field
Canada goose
Golden eagles
Coots (flotilla as usual on Bass Lake)
Redheads
Ring necked ducks
Common Loon
Red breasted mergansers
Yellow headed blackbirds
Lesser Scaups
Western grebes
Clarks grebes
Pheasant
Barn swallows
Kestrel

Good birding to all!
Bob Hargis, Wanda Major, Sharon Orange, and Debbie Wagner
Riverton

Back to top
Date: 4/20/17 11:02 pm
From: Chuck Seniawski <000000156665bc53-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Curt Gowdy State Park
A dreary day overall, brightened by the presence of 13 species. 57 degrees and decreasing as heavy cloud cover started producing rain. (First real rain we've had in quite a while.)

Canada Goose 20
Northern Shoveler 1 "Hanging out" for a while with 9 Western Grebes on open water
Common Merganser 27
Western Grebe 12
Turkey Vulture 3
Belted Kingfisher 1
Northern Flicker (Red-shafted) 5
Black-billed Magpie 9 7 in field with crows at Middle Kingdom
American Crow 15 12 of these with the magpies on Middle Kingdom hayfield
Common Raven 1
Mountain Bluebird 6
American Robin 7
Red-winged Blackbird 1

Chuck Seniawski
Cheyenne

Back to top
Date: 4/20/17 9:24 pm
From: Bill Vetter <Wm_vetter...>
Subject: Fishing Lake - Gillette
Had three great-tailed grackles near the southwest entrance to the Fishing Lake this evening (4/20).

Back to top
Date: 4/20/17 12:21 pm
From: Kendra David <000004ea7a81524d-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Burlington Lake, Apr 20, 2017

Burlington Lake, Natrona, Wyoming, US
Apr 20, 2017 7:58 AM - 9:22 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.6 mile(s)
28 species (+1 other taxa)

Snow Goose  2    White goose with black patch on wings
Canada Goose  5
Gadwall  75
Mallard  2
Cinnamon Teal  3
Northern Shoveler  27
Redhead  5
Lesser Scaup  5
Bufflehead  4
Common Merganser  4
duck sp.  200
Common Loon  1
Pied-billed Grebe  1
Double-crested Cormorant  12
American White Pelican  3
Northern Harrier  2
American Coot  160
American Avocet  11    Observed large group of 9
Killdeer  1
Greater Yellowlegs  1
Willet  1
Franklin's Gull  35
American Crow  2
Horned Lark  7
Vesper Sparrow  2
Savannah Sparrow  2
Red-winged Blackbird  2
Western Meadowlark  4
Yellow-headed Blackbird  4

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S36118283

Back to top
Date: 4/19/17 12:20 pm
From: Zachariah Hutchinson <zachsbirdnerds...>
Subject: Lesser Black-backed Gull
Good afternoon Birders!

I had a definitive plumage LBBG this morning around 7 at the pivot fields
between Casper and Alcova.

Zach
Casper
--
Zach Hutchinson
President

Back to top
Date: 4/19/17 8:31 am
From: Jason Beason <aeronautes.saxatalis...>
Subject: Edness Kimball Wilkins SP, Natrona Co. - Apr 19
Lots of migrants present this morning along the North Platte including two
species flagged rare by eBird (House Wren and Orange-crowned Warbler).

Casper--Edness Kimball Wilkins SP, Natrona, Wyoming, US
Apr 19, 2017 6:43 AM - 8:11 AM
28 species (+2 other taxa)

Canada Goose 8
Wood Duck 13
Mallard 7
Common Merganser 1
Great Blue Heron 1
Osprey 1
Killdeer 4
Franklin's Gull 24
Eurasian Collared-Dove 1
Mourning Dove 4
Downy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 9
American Kestrel 1
Tree Swallow X
Barn Swallow 1
Black-capped Chickadee 7
House Wren 2
American Robin 17
European Starling 23
American Pipit 1
Orange-crowned Warbler 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle) 9
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Audubon's) 3
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle x Audubon's) 1
White-crowned Sparrow 1
Vesper Sparrow 1
Song Sparrow 2
Red-winged Blackbird 11
Western Meadowlark 21
Common Grackle 24

--
Jason Beason
Avian Field Technician

^ ^

(OvO)

( )

" "

~~~~

Back to top
Date: 4/18/17 1:05 pm
From: Rich Weaver <popeyeweaver...>
Subject: FOY white faced Ibis
Hi Birders,

Yesterday, April 17 on County Road 122 in Natrona County, I had a FOY white
faced Ibis. I took photos of it and will post in Wyobirds Facebook page.

Best Birding Wishes,

Rich

Back to top
Date: 4/18/17 9:04 am
From: Rosemarie Hughes <ospreywatch26...>
Please take my email off your list. Thank you!

Rosemarie

Back to top
Date: 4/18/17 7:40 am
From: Gary & Judi Ogle <wypafl...>
Subject: Spring signs
Spring is surely here as I am sitting here listening to a Say’s phoebe, watching a rock wren dart around my patio and I saw my first white crowned sparrow yesterday morning. Driving to and from Cheyenne I am seeing more and more Swainson’s hawks. Now to just see a lark bunting and I know I can feel safer about no more snow!

Judi Ogle
N of Burns

Back to top
Date: 4/18/17 5:59 am
From: George Jones <jonesgp...>
Subject: Laramie: Lincoln's sparrow, Swainson's hawks
A sparse flower bed at our home attracts Lincoln’s sparrows every year and on Sunday I saw a single one foraging in the leaf litter. I watched it for several minutes, mostly through binoculars, from a distance of < 10 meters.

Last Friday or Saturday I noticed two Swainson’s hawks weaving pretty high in the air above the south side of Washington Park, along Sheridan Ave. In many years, a pair nests in tall Engelmann spruce on the south side of the park, around the 1900 block of Sheridan. On Sunday I saw a single Swainson’s hawk in the same area.

George Jones

Back to top
Date: 4/17/17 6:36 pm
From: Ann Hines <annhines12...>
Subject: trip
We started out early and made a loop.

First stop: Lusby's

Only interesting bird..........Mourning Dove

Nothing on the river.

Next stop........Grey Reef

Few ducks

Rock Wren

TV

Several Say's Phoebe

Only fishermen in the river

Next stop Below the dam at Alcova

Osprey

Common Merganser

Coot

Next stop

6 Common Loons

Ring-bill Gull

California Gull

Robin

Mt. Blue bird

Hooded Merganser

Canada Goose

Last stop........Bessemer Bend

Osprey

NOTHING ON THE RIVER. HIGH WATER?

Still no Pheasant. My nemesis.

Ann and Wilmer in Casper

.

Back to top
Date: 4/17/17 3:24 pm
From: Harry <harry...>
Subject: EKW this morning
Spotted 30 Pelicans in a tight-V formation heading up river and shortly
after, another 50 working a thermal in a giant swarming ball.

2 Killdeer, countless Robins, Grackles, a glimpse of a falcon and
Chickadees.

--
Harry
Casper, WY

Back to top
Date: 4/17/17 6:19 am
From: Zachariah Hutchinson <zachsbirdnerds...>
Subject: The Wyoming Bird Trail
Greetings WyoBirders,

For the past few years, I have been working on developing a bird trail for
our state. Utilizing all the resources available, Audubon Rockies has
rolled out the first step of this, a mobile app. Currently there are about
100 stops on the trail, within the app. I have about 100 more to add, and
will be doing so over time. There are some areas of the state that are
lacking on stops, and I will be working to get those included next. We are
looking for partners willing to help support the app. If you have a
suggestion, feel free to email me!

Here are the mobile links:

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=hr.apps.n207202318
iPhone:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wyoming-bird-trail/id1222906766?ls=1&mt=8

Enjoy!

Zach

Date: 4/16/17 7:25 pm
From: Hustace Scott <hustace...>
Subject:
I had 4 new birds for the year today. I started with singing White-crowned
Sparrows around the house, then a calling Spotted Towhee. The
White-crowned is at least a week early, and the Towhee is early for here.
My wife thought she heard the Towhee yesterday. Then I caught up with
Grackles in Casper and Bessemer Bend, and some Franklin's Gulls in my
fields. Yesterday, I had a Vesper Sparrow in my fields.

The earliest bird was a Broad-tailed Hummingbird that my wife heard this
evening. I thought I heard one in the distance earlier today, but knew
that wasn't possible so I thought my ears had played a trick on me.

At the Two-Bar, my brother Charlie had 4 Long-billed Curlew and a couple of
Ibis on his fields. They were in his irrigating water, but you will have
to call him to find out where they have been seen most recently. His
number is 473-2512.

Stacey Scott
SW of Casper

Back to top
Date: 4/16/17 12:32 pm
From: Nathaniel Behl <behlx008...>
Subject: Big day on the plains
I'll start of by mentioning that I had absolutely no intention of spending
all day birding yesterday, but there was so much good stuff around I just
couldn't help myself... Before I knew it I was driving back home at sunset
having done just that.

I started off the morning being still somewhat frustrated by the Harris's
Sparrow that Cody and I heard at the Greenbelt in Laramie the night before
and decided to head out there again in the morning to see if he was still
hanging around. Apparently every other resident bird nerd in the ZooPhys
graduate department had the same idea because all four of us (Doug Eddy,
Cody Porter, and Libby Megna) coincidentally met up out there. While we
weren't able to find the Harris's again it was nice to see more
yellow-rumps around and some Barn Swallows mixed in with the Trees that
were flying along the river. Things really picked up though when Doug,
Cody, and I decided to head up to the north end of the Greenbelt where we
proceeded to pick up all three accipiter species within a 10-minute period
(including a very confused juvie Goshawk that must have moved down from the
mountains), as well as a number of other goodies including a late pair of
Sandhill Cranes that flew over, trumpeting away and first of the season
(for me anyways..) Great Blue Heron.

I was planning on calling it quits for the day after that, but upon hearing
word that Libby had managed to find a Black-necked Stilt out at Blake's
Pond after leaving the Greenbelt, I decided to head that way after lunch.
The stilt was still hanging out at Blake's by the time I arrived (though
there wasn't much else of interest), and I managed to find a Western Grebe
at Meeboer (diddo for not much else of interest), but Gelatt was clearly
the place to be. Upon arriving at Gelatt I discovered a large flock of
gulls hanging out right in front of the parking lot. While picking through
them (all three main white-headed gulls were there), I also had a large
flock of ~50 Franklin's fly directly overhead. It was long after, that I
noticed a flock of White-faced Ibis move briefly from one patch of cattails
to another. Being the first ibis I've seen this year I raced over to try
and get as close as I could for some pics and managed to kick up a
Blue-wing Teal and Savannah Sparrow. My luck at Gelatt continued because
while trying to get pictures of those three species I had a Great Egret fly
over and land on the opposite side of the lake!.

After success like that I felt I had to keep going and headed down to
Hutton to see what was hanging out down there and was immediately greeted
by a gorgeous Lesser Black-backed Gull that cruised over the Hutton parking
lot at a nice slow speed about 20 yards away. Once I finally made it out to
the water at Hutton I found a few more Ibis and Western Grebe's hanging
around, as well as a few other notable birds including a pair of American
Pipits, a couple of Semipalmated Plovers, several Hooded Mergansers, a
Horned Grebe, a FEMALE Red-winged Blackbird (certainly the first one I've
seen this year), several Tree Swallows that looked very, very, wrong and
turned out to be some early arriving Bank Swallows, and (finally!!!!!!) a
Sage Thrasher.

All told I managed to log 74 species over the day including ~10 that I
hadn't seen at all this year. Not a bad of birding for the high plains!

Links to ebird checklists from 4/15/17:

Good birding all!

Nate

Back to top
Date: 4/15/17 7:38 am
From: Chuck Seniawski <000000156665bc53-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Cheyenne Back Yard
Throughout the winter, we have had a single Townsend's Solitaire come by to get a drink from our heated birdbath about once a week. Suddenly, this past week, we have had multiple daily visits by up to four solitaires at a time. What a treat!

Chuck Seniawski
Cheyenne

Back to top
Date: 4/15/17 7:25 am
From: Chuck Seniawski <000000156665bc53-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Wyoming Hereford Ranch
As at the reservoir, the grackles are back. Noteworthy was a First-of-Year single Northern Rough-winged Swallow. Western Meadowlarks have also increased in the countryside since my previous counts.

15 species

Canada Goose 2
Gadwall 3
Mallard 7
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Eurasian Collared-Dove 3
Mourning Dove 4
Belted Kingfisher 1
Northern Rough-winged Swallow 1
American Robin 14
European Starling 9
Red-winged Blackbird 37
Western Meadowlark 4
Common Grackle 47
House Finch 6
House Sparrow 6

Chuck Seniawski
Cheyenne

Back to top
Date: 4/15/17 7:21 am
From: Chuck Seniawski <000000156665bc53-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Wyoming Hereford Ranch - Reservoir 1
Lots of Ruddy Ducks and Blue-winged Teal and First-of-Year Western Grebes. Common Grackles seem to have arrived in numbers.
19 species

Gadwall 2
Mallard 6
Blue-winged Teal 30
Lesser Scaup 21
Ruddy Duck 71
Eared Grebe 3
Western Grebe 9
Double-crested Cormorant 1
Red-tailed Hawk 1
American Coot 6
Lesser Yellowlegs 1
Ring-billed Gull 22
Northern Flicker (Red-shafted) 1
American Robin 1
European Starling 1
Red-winged Blackbird 12
Western Meadowlark 2
Yellow-headed Blackbird 9
Common Grackle 19

Chuck Seniawski
Cheyenne

Back to top
Date: 4/14/17 8:49 pm
From: Cody Porter <empidonaxdvg...>
Subject: Laramie area stuff
All,

This afternoon Nate Behl and I did some birding north of town, mostly along Old Laramie River Rd. McCown's Longspurs were bouncing around in large flocks and we picked up at least 2 Chestnut-collareds as well. Swainson's Hawks have also arrived in large numbers. Shorebirds and waterfowl numbers were not what we expected, probably due in part to the lack of precipitation lately. A particularly delightful sight were hundreds of Painted Lady butterflies flying across the plains, probably having been pushed up by the strong winds recently.

We also made a quick stop along the Greenbelt where we had ~15 Yellow-rumped Warblers (both subspecies and 1 intergrade) foraging and singing in the tops of cottonwoods south of Optimist Park. A frustrating end to the day was a Harris's Sparrow heard singing briefly but never seen.

Good birding,
Cody Porter

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 4/12/17 2:41 pm
From: Bob & Suzanne Hargis <bhargis...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - Ocean Lake north Pavillion, Apr 12, 2017
Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) 25
Gadwall (Anas strepera) 4
American Wigeon (Anas americana) 6
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) 10
Northern Shoveler (Anas clypeata) 30 The duck of the day it seemed.. all over Long point bay and north side of Ocean Lake
Northern Pintail (Anas acuta) 2
Common Merganser (Mergus merganser) 2 Pair in ditch north of Kinnear
Ring-necked Pheasant (Phasianus colchicus) 20 All over fields in region
Eared Grebe (Podiceps nigricollis) 1
Western Grebe (Aechmophorus occidentalis) 5 see above
Clark's Grebe (Aechmophorus clarkii) 2 first of year.. scoped from Ocean Lake north boat ramp off MIdvale Rd.
Double-crested Cormorant (Phalacrocorax auritus) 1 Ocean Lake fly by
Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias) 1
Golden Eagle (Aquila chrysaetos) 1 On a nest on rocks north of East Pavillion Rd near the Ocean View off road south to Ocean Lake
Northern Harrier (Circus cyaneus) 1
Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis) 4
Rough-legged Hawk (Buteo lagopus) 1 Nice last of the migration very bright white head and dark belly.. seems like the migrants seen are from far south of their range and display this plumage more commonly than variations seen of winter birds here.. just a comment
Ferruginous Hawk (Buteo regalis) 1 Field on west side of Ocean Lake off Sandy lane
American Coot (Fulica americana) 40 around Ocean Lake Long Point and Boat Landing north
Sandhill Crane (Antigone canadensis) 75 At least this many seen Along stubblefields of Riverview rd west of riverton, Kinnear, Ocean Lake and environs and fields north of Ocean Lake
Killdeer (Charadrius vociferus) 7
Greater/Lesser Yellowlegs (Tringa melanoleuca/flavipes) 3 Flyby at Hargis House on Big WInd River. not calling and moving fast for ID
Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis) 40
California Gull (Larus californicus) 16 Rocky island viewed via scope from the Dickenson point on east side of Ocean Lake
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) (Columba livia (Feral Pigeon)) 6
Eurasian Collared-Dove (Streptopelia decaocto) 4
Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura) 5 Around Hargis house, Ocean Lake Long point woodland
Belted Kingfisher (Megaceryle alcyon) 1 Ocean Lake
Downy Woodpecker (Picoides pubescens) 2
Hairy Woodpecker (Picoides villosus) 2
Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus) 2
American Kestrel (Falco sparverius) 2
Say's Phoebe (Sayornis saya) 1
Black-billed Magpie (Pica hudsonia) 2
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos) 3
Common Raven (Corvus corax) 6
Horned Lark (Eremophila alpestris) 5
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica) 1 first of year over ditch just north of Kinnear.. normal nesting spot but about a week and a half early. Please revise this observation date and location..
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus) 3 Hargis house
Marsh Wren (Cistothorus palustris) 5 Singing at Ocean Lake north boat ramp cattails,
Mountain Bluebird (Sialia currucoides) 1 NOrth of Ocean lake onEast Pavillion Rd just before reaching Ocean View Rd
American Robin (Turdus migratorius) 25
Sage Thrasher (Oreoscoptes montanus) 2 West of Ocean lake and on Long Point singing
European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris) 50
Dark-eyed Junco (Junco hyemalis) 3
White-crowned Sparrow (Zonotrichia leucophrys) 2 Hargis house feeders before departure
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia) 6
Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus) 25
Western Meadowlark (Sturnella neglecta) 50 A high count I know but all along Riverview Rd to Kinnear, Ocean Lake west and around Pavillion north
Yellow-headed Blackbird (Xanthocephalus xanthocephalus) 2 Kinnear lake east of Kinnear in Cat tail marsh on west side of lake
House Finch (Haemorhous mexicanus) 3 Ocean Lake long point woods
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis) 2
House Sparrow (Passer domesticus) 5

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S35905336

Back to top
Date: 4/12/17 9:16 am
From: Chris Michelson <0000001af3511208-dmarc-request...>
Subject: yellow-rumped warbler
Greetings birders
I guess spring may have arrived. I found a myrtle form yellow-rumped
warbler in Reshaw Park in Evansville, WY this morning. I think this is the
earliest date I have had this species here in central Wyoming. Good
birding to all.
Chris Michelson

Back to top
Date: 4/12/17 8:23 am
From: Zachariah Hutchinson <zachsbirdnerds...>
Subject: Common Poorwill
Good Morning WyoBirders!

This morning in the dark, I flushed a common poorwill off the road. Also, I
heard the winnows of a Wilson's Snipe in the distance while waiting for the
sunrise. Both of these observations were on a county road north of
pathfinder in Natrona County.

Go birding!

Zach
Casper

Date: 4/12/17 7:21 am
From: Deibert, Pat <pat_deibert...>
Subject: in for a penny....
Hello all!

Following up on Stacy's post I have also seen Swainson's hawks, only my
observations are from birds cruising the 1-25 corridor near Cheyenne.
Yesterday there was one perched on the Missile Drive exit sign, today 5
were dribbled along the stretch from College Drive to Central Ave. I also
saw my FOY turkey vulture last week - one pretending to be a harrier,
swooping down low to the ground and coursing back and forth. The next day
there were 20. Last week I saw my FOY osprey eyeing the waters of the
Cheyenne golf course, this week there were 3. One FOY killdeer at the
Frontier Days park and ride lot last Friday; earlier this week there were
4. I like to think that the FOYs were scouts conveying back to the rest
that WY is a really cool place to be, but the more mundane, and likely
accurate answer is its spring and the weather is good.... Only kestrels and
robins have not committed to put in for a pound - yet - as they are present
but not abundant. All are all welcome additions to my commute!

Last week I observed a Canada goose building a nest on the peak of an
abandoned garage roof along Happy Jack Road about 5 miles west of
Cheyenne. It stood proudly above the smattering of sticks collected
announcing its achievements to all who would listen. I briefly wondered if
there were Darwin awards for birds as this proud specimen might be an
excellent candidate. Two days later the sticks, and goose, were gone, its
dreams apparently abandoned.

This morning I flushed a mountain bluebird from under the eave of my barn
when I went out to feed my chickens. It scolded me incessantly before
losing its nerve and darting for the trees in the draw to the south.
Great-horned owls call consistently out my window at night, but fortunately
not 7 nights in a row..... Feeders are yielding many mottled American
goldfinches not yet ready to display their breeding finery, Cassin's
finches, downy and hairy woodpeckers, pygmy and white-breasted nuthatches,
mountain and black-capped chickadees, a smattering of juncos and the few
remaining red-winged blackbirds who have not accepted the fact they are
supposed to be associated with water and therefore have not joined their 2
million or so brethren at the stream over the rise. ok, maybe just a few
hundred.....

For those of you who have not yet had the opportunity I encourage you to
check out the lek cam. After some initial technical difficulties it is up
and running beautifully, secretly sharing stories of a small lek in
Oregon. Not only are the grouse spectacular in all their strutting finery,
but there are also regular sightings of kangaroo rats, coyotes and cows.
The former cavort frantically in our IR light, the latter two delight in
flushing the birds from the lek (but they always return). Any of you who
may have been watching last Friday may have thought it was an "udder" cam.
Best time to view is before 8 a.m.as activity typically drops off after
that - buit not always. Associated songbirds (as "seen" by song) have been
scarce so far this year, but spring has not been as kind to OR as it has
been to WY.

Lets keep that part about WY being a really cool place to ourselves shall
we?

Good birding to all!

pat in the burb's of Buford

Back to top
Date: 4/12/17 4:19 am
From: Hustace Scott <hustace...>
Subject:
Yesterday, I had a Swainson's Hawk and a Say's Phoebe in my fields. The
Swainson's is a few day's earlier than in past years. The Phoebe is about
the same as past years. I also had few Sandhill Cranes, 2 Ospreys and a
Bald Eagle.

Stacey Scott
SW of Casper

Back to top
Date: 4/11/17 8:31 pm
From: Sarah Dominic <000004e044780be3-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Goldeneye Reservoir April 11, 2017 (Natrona County)
> From: Sarah Baird <sbaird75...>
> Date: April 11, 2017 at 7:31:55 PM MDT
> To: "<WYOBIRDS...>" <WYOBIRDS...>
> Subject: Goldeneye Reservoir April 11, 2017 (Natrona County)
>
> A trip out to Goldeneye Reservoir (Natrona, County) produced a number of waterfowl species including:
>
> Northern Pintail-30
> Green winged teal-25
> Cinnamon teal-2
> Blue winged teal-2
> Scaup species
> Coot-too many to count
> Gadwall-100
> Common Merganser-8
>
> Canada geese-10
>
> Franklin's or Bonaparte's gulls-8
> Ringbilled gull-3
>
> White-faced ibis -7
>
> American avocet-1
> Greater yellowlegs-1
> Lesser yellowlegs-2
> Killdeer-4
>
> American Pipit-1
>
> Savannah sparrow-1
>

> Birds of prey included:
> Golden Eagles-2
>
> Swainson's Hawk-- near the Casper Airport

Back to top
Date: 4/9/17 11:05 am
From: Chuck Seniawski <000000156665bc53-dmarc-request...>
Also on Saturday, a relatively quiet time insofar as birds were concerned.

21 species

Canada Goose 4
Gadwall 2 pair
Mallard 10
Blue-winged Teal 1
Green-winged Teal 2
Great Blue Heron 5
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Killdeer 1
Eurasian Collared-Dove 8
Mourning Dove 1
Belted Kingfisher 1
Northern Flicker 1
American Robin 9
European Starling 4
Dark-eyed Junco 5
White-crowned Sparrow 2
Red-winged Blackbird 26
Western Meadowlark 3
Common Grackle 10
House Finch 4
House Sparrow 8

Chuck Seniawski
Cheyenne

Back to top
Date: 4/9/17 11:02 am
From: Chuck Seniawski <000000156665bc53-dmarc-request...>
Still a nice assortment of waterfowl and other migrants when I visited on Saturday.

24 species

Canada Goose 12
Gadwall 21
Mallard 15
Blue-winged Teal 6.
Cinnamon Teal 5
Northern Shoveler 6
Northern Pintail 6
Green-winged Teal 3
Canvasback 4
Lesser Scaup 17
Common Merganser 10
Ruddy Duck 27
Horned Grebe 1
Eared Grebe 5
American Coot 18
Killdeer 1
Ring-billed Gull 11
Northern Flicker (Red-shafted) 2
American Robin 8
European Starling 1
Red-winged Blackbird 8
Western Meadowlark 4
Yellow-headed Blackbird 24
Common Grackle 1

Chuck Seniawski
Cheyenne

Back to top
Date: 4/9/17 6:53 am
From: Elizabeth Boehm <eboehmphoto...>
Subject: Ospreys
I also saw my FOY Ospreys in Sublette County yesterday; a pair on a platform nest.

Back to top
Date: 4/8/17 7:13 pm
From: Hustace Scott <hustace...>
Subject:
I, too, had an Osprey today. It was sitting on its nest platform at the
Bessemer Bend bridge. Yesterday, I had Turkey Vultures fly over the
house. April 7 is about a week late for here. On Thursday, I had Cinnamon
Teal in Laramie. and on Wednesday I had a Great-taliled Grackle fly over
Wyoming 220 and Robertson Road. I love April. Every day there is a chance
of seeing a new bird for the year.

Stacey Scott
SW of Casper

Back to top
Date: 4/8/17 6:15 pm
From: Dee Oudin <wdoudin...>
Subject: Osprey
Just minutes ago an Osprey flew overhead then landed on the neighborhood
nest platform.

Dee Oudin
northeast of Cody

Back to top
Date: 4/8/17 5:35 pm
From: <jgwindsong...>
Subject: Sundance and Keyhole
As well as the Cranes flying over head we had 33 Turkey Vultures flying
over head later. I think they roosted on Sundance Mt.
Yesterday at Keyhole I saw Green Winged Teal, lots of Mallards, Gadwall,
and lots of Canada Geese. Also White Pelicans, Ring-billed Gulls,W.
Meadowlarks,Horn Larks,Mt. Bluebirds, Bl. billed Magpies 5 Kestrels, 1
Golden Eagle and 1 Red-tailed Hawk.

Back to top
Date: 4/8/17 3:49 pm
From: Jennifer Adams <ravenssong18...>
Subject: Cranes
About 250 Sandhill Cranes flew over Sundance today.

Jennifer Adams

Back to top
Date: 4/8/17 11:06 am
From: Chris Michelson <0000001af3511208-dmarc-request...>
Subject: unusual migrant
Greetings birders
While visiting the marsh on county road 123 west of the Natrona County
International Airport I found an adult black-throated sparrow perched up on
a fence post on the south side of the road. I assume this is a result of
the southwest winds we have been having recently. This is an unusual
migrant in this part of the state. Good birding to all and who knows what might
be found.
Chris Michelson
Casper, WY

Back to top
Date: 4/4/17 8:14 am
From: Barb GORGES <bgorges4...>
Subject: Apologies from Cheyenne Audubon
Dear Wyobirders,
I apologize for the awful-looking news releases I just sent out for the Cheyenne - High Plains Audubon Society. I recently started using MailChimp to send news releases because my list was too long for my personal email company not to start identifying me as a spammer.
It appears that MailChimp and the Wyobird software are not very compatible. I will in the future revert to sending Wyobirds a regular email that is hopefully more legible. I really have no idea why our chapter website address came out so complicated.
Meanwhile, I hope you will visit our chapter website, which is easily remembered: https://cheyenneaudubon.wordpress.com/.
There you will find our webmaster Lorie Chesnut has organized all sorts of information:

1. Habitat Hero resources.
2. Our new grant program for education and conservation projects in Laramie, Goshen and Platte counties.
3. Birding resources, including the Cheyenne area bird checklist.
4. Our monthly newsletters.
And we hope you can join us for our three events this month:
April 18, 7 p.m., Willow Room, Laramie County Public Library: "Something to Crow About - The Laramie County Conservation District's Efforts to Restore Crow Creek and Its Tributaries."
April 22, 5 a.m., Sharp-tailed Grouse Lek Viewing (see the April newsletter at our website for details: https://cheyenneaudubon.wordpress.com/newsletters/).
April 27, 7 p.m., Cottonwood Room, Laramie County Public Library: "The Buffalo Bill Center of the West Draper Museum Raptor Experience."
All of these events are free and open to the public.
Thanks for your patience,
Barb Gorges, publicity person for CHPAS
307-287-4952

Back to top
Date: 4/4/17 7:42 am
From: Cheyenne - High Plains Audubon Society <bgorges4...>
Subject: Cheyenne Audubon Apr. 27 special free raptor program
Contact: Barb Gorges, 307-634-0463
Cheyenne – High Plains Audubon Society

For immediate release, Apr. 4, 2017

Cheyenne Audubon sponsoring free Buffalo Bill raptor program Apr. 27
The Cheyenne – High Plains Audubon Society is sponsoring a visit of the Buffalo Bill Center of the West's Draper Museum Raptor Experience free and open to the public Apr. 27 at 7 p.m. in the Cottonwood Room of the Laramie County Public Library, 2200 Pioneer Ave. The educational program features four live hawks and owls. See http://lonetree.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=badc6a2cbafa66e1bf1a64290&id=25d27f25a8&e=b1348bdd7a (http://lonetree.us8.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=badc6a2cbafa66e1bf1a64290&id=2c040ca8e7&e=b1348bdd7a) for more information or call Mark, 307-287-4953.
[...]

Copyright © 2017 Cheyenne - High Plains Audubon Society, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you are interested in helping promote activities of the Cheyenne - High Plains Audubon Society.

Our mailing address is:
Cheyenne - High Plains Audubon Society
PO Box 2502
Cheyenne, WY 82003
USA
You can ** update your preferences (http://lonetree.us8.list-manage.com/profile?u=badc6a2cbafa66e1bf1a64290&id=341b734fca&e=b1348bdd7a)
Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp
http://www.mailchimp.com/monkey-rewards/?utm_source=freemium_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=monkey_rewards&aid=badc6a2cbafa66e1bf1a64290&afl=1

Back to top
Date: 4/4/17 7:26 am
From: Cheyenne - High Plains Audubon Society <bgorges4...>
Subject: Cheyenne Audubon Apr. 22 field trip: Sharp-tailed Grouse lek viewing
Contact: Barb Gorges, 307-634-0463
Cheyenne – High Plains Audubon Society

For immediate release, Apr. 4, 2017

Cheyenne Audubon field trip Apr. 22: Sharp-tailed Grouse lek viewing
Cheyenne - High Plains Audubon Society invites the public on a free field trip to view Sharp-tailed Grouse leks Apr. 22.
Participants will leave at 5 a.m. from the Pilot Travel Center at the Campstool Road exit on I-80. It will be important to carpool from there to the leks in eastern Laramie County. The group expects to return to Cheyenne by 9 a.m.
For more information and to register, contact Mark Gorges, 287-4953, or <mgorges...> (mailto:<mgorges...>) , Also see www.CheyenneAudubon.wordpress.com.

Date: 4/4/17 7:17 am
From: Cheyenne - High Plains Audubon Society <bgorges4...>
Subject: Cheyenne Audubon Apr. 18 lecture: Crow Creek restoration
Contact: Barb Gorges, 307-634-0463
Cheyenne – High Plains Audubon Society

For immediate release, Apr. 4, 2017

Cheyenne Audubon lecture Apr. 18 to feature Crow Creek restoration plans
The April 18 Cheyenne – High Plains Audubon Society lecture, "Something to Crow About," will feature restoration plans for Crow Creek in Cheyenne. Guest speaker Jeff Geyer is the water specialist for the Laramie County Conservation District.
The lecture is at 7 p.m., April 18, in the Willow Room of the Laramie County Public Library, 2200 Pioneer Ave. See http://lonetree.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=badc6a2cbafa66e1bf1a64290&id=3abe5cb9e7&e=b1348bdd7a (http://lonetree.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=badc6a2cbafa66e1bf1a64290&id=be5588ba61&e=b1348bdd7a) for more information or call Mark, 307-287-4953.
Crow Creek has been impacted by transportation systems, irrigation and municipal diversions, grazing, and urbanization for over a century. Though the very reason for the location of Cheyenne, Crow Creek's functionality as an aquatic system is something less than desirable.
The Conservation District has already initiated steps to restore Crow Creek and a portion of its tributary, Dry Creek, by addressing these influences within Laramie County. Come see what the District's visions are for perhaps this most underrated, yet most valuable resource in the southeastern Wyoming plains.

You can ** update your preferences (http://lonetree.us8.list-manage2.com/profile?u=badc6a2cbafa66e1bf1a64290&id=341b734fca&e=b1348bdd7a)

Date: 4/2/17 4:08 pm
From: Hustace Scott <hustace...>
Subject:
Yesterday, I finally saw some Killdeer. I had heard them earlier, but
every time all I could see were these small, dark birds with very short
tails.

I also had an immature Herring Gull fly over the house with a bunch of
California Gulls.

Stacey Scott
SW of Casper

Back to top
Date: 4/1/17 4:24 pm
From: Kendra David <000004ea7a81524d-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Burlington Lake, Apr 1, 2017
blockquote, div.yahoo_quoted { margin-left: 0 !important; border-left:1px #715FFA solid !important; padding-left:1ex !important; background-color:white !important; }

Burlington Lake, Natrona, Wyoming, US
Apr 1, 2017 9:08 AM - 10:40 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.75 mile(s)
17 species (+2 other taxa)

Canada Goose  2
Gadwall  4
American Wigeon  15
Mallard  30
Northern Shoveler  22
Northern Pintail  10
Green-winged Teal  16
Common Merganser  1
duck sp.  500
American Coot  350
Killdeer  6
Wilson's Snipe  2
gull sp.  6
Common Raven  2
Horned Lark  24
Dark-eyed Junco  2
Song Sparrow  1
Red-winged Blackbird  2
Western Meadowlark  12

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S35609952

Back to top
Date: 3/31/17 1:25 pm
From: Chuck Seniawski <000000156665bc53-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Cheyenne Country Club
The snow just started here in north Cheyenne a few minutes ago. Earlier, while it was only wet cold (rather than frozen cold), we held the monthly count at the Country Club.

Cheyenne Country Club, Laramie, Wyoming, US
Mar 31, 2017 8:00 AM - 9:30 AM
Comments: 38 degrees at start, fog, breezy. 34 degrees at finish.
14 species (+2 other taxa)

Gadwall 4
American Wigeon 2 pair
Mallard 9
teal sp. 2
Ring-necked Duck 7
Lesser Scaup 14
Bufflehead 3
duck sp. 18
Red-tailed Hawk 2
American Coot 2
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker (Red-shafted) 3
Black-billed Magpie 2
American Crow 12
American Robin 2
Red-winged Blackbird 3

The teal and duck "species" were in a flock of 20 birds that flew quickly overhead and never returned. Gray skies precluded positive identification.

Chuck Seniawski
Cheyenne

Back to top
Date: 3/31/17 12:57 pm
From: Eva Crane <evacrane...>
Subject: Tree swallow in lander
Two days ago on March 29th, a single tree swallow sat not far from a nest box attached to my house. Usually they appear in Lander about 2 weeks later. Since then I haven’t seen any others, and now it is snowing in Lander. Hope the bird found a better place to hunt for insects.

eva crane
Lander

Back to top
Date: 3/31/17 12:34 pm
From: Grant Frost <frostgrant2...>
Subject: Yellow-headed blackbird*
FOY at the Cheyenne Game and Fish habitat area. *or, as I like to call
them, Black-bodied yellowbirds

Back to top
Date: 3/31/17 10:57 am
From: Donald Jones <dwilbertjones...>
Subject: Hutton Lake NWR
Hi all,

I headed out to Hutton Lake this morning where, despite the intermittent
drizzle and strong wind, there were huge numbers of a nice variety of
birds. Personal FOY species for me included 2 Eared Grebes, 3 Bonaparte's
Gulls, and a couple of Greater Yellowlegs. I spotted one Sage Thrasher
hunkered down in the greasewood, and had a close flyby from an American
Kestrel fighting the breeze. All of the expected waterfowl were present in
good numbers, including thousands of Redhead and smaller numbers of
Ring-necked Ducks, Canvasback, and Lesser Scaup. The eBird checklist from
my visit is here: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S35560406.

On the way back into town, a gorgeous Ferruginous Hawk sitting on a
fencepost along the Sand Creek Road was a great way to end the morning.

Don Jones
Laramie, WY / Middlebury, VT

Back to top
Date: 3/30/17 1:11 pm
From: Rosemarie Hughes <ospreywatch26...>
Subject: Turkey Vultures in Cody
They are a bit early this year, usually early April, but, yay, they are
here. First spotted them March 27. Spring is officially here!!

Rosemarie

Back to top
Date: 3/30/17 11:12 am
From: Rich Weaver <popeyeweaver...>
Subject: FOY - JTL
Good afternoon birders,

On the far East pond of the JTL ponds in Casper, I had and took photos of a
pair of double crested cormurants at 11:42 am for a First of the Year.

It's been sometime since I have posted here. I will do what I can to do
more often provided there is some sort of relevancy.

Best Birding Wishes,

Rich Weaver, Casper

Back to top
Date: 3/29/17 11:44 am
From: claylenef <claylenef...>
Subject: Torrington backyard
Hello Birders.I just had a Lesser Golfinch eating from the sunflower seed feeder.

Back to top
Date: 3/28/17 9:44 am
From: Deibert, Pat <pat_deibert...>
Subject: Lek cam!!!!
Hello all!

We finally got all the kinks worked out and we go live tomorrow! I did a
"test" drive today and the lek was very active (and lets just say that
Oregon will have some new chicks in about 5 weeks). Its not a huge lek,
but still fun to watch.

Here is the link: Feel free to share!!!

http://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives/regions/northamerica/unitedstates/
oregon/our-priorities/sage-grouse-lek-cam.xml

It runs everyday, including weekends, from 6 to 10 mountain, although the
driver reserves the right to shut it down early if there is no activity on
the lek. The camera is operational until mid-May so many many chances to
take a peek.

as a FYI - as the camera is remote it often takes up to 30 seconds to
respond to commands to move so be patient - the driver will catch up. I'm
not slow, really....

Other birds? (are there other birds?) Oh yeah - on a short walk with the
dogs and child yesterday I stumbled into a meadow that was alive with song
sparrows. They were so loud and frequent my daughter lamented that she
couldn't hear the red-tailed hawk that was calling above. what a gift!

Pat, in the burbs of Buford, and a lek in Oregon (sorta)....

Back to top
Date: 3/28/17 9:35 am
From: claylenef <claylenef...>
Subject: Torrington
Hello Birders. This morning I have my first of the year , Red Winged Blackbird, Mourning Doves, Common Crackles. Still have plenty of Goldfinches, and a few House Finches along with EC Doves and Robins.

Back to top
Date: 3/27/17 7:48 pm
From: Matt Fraker <0000022256054407-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: New early date?
Spring 0f 2012 had a group of 20 birds at Guernsey S.P. in Platte Co on 30 March which WAS the previous new earliest date.

You get it now, C.J.!!

Matt Fraker
Not in Wyoming and not happy about it...

Sunny and 60 today, and nice to spend the afternoon outdoors. I was surprised to hear a few White-throated Swifts twittering overhead. A full week ahead of the early date of 4/4 in Wyoming Birds.

Winter feeder birds were mostly American Goldfinch and junco, with a few chickadees and House Finches. Must have been a good food supply on the mountain, with good numbers of Red Crossbill, Cassin's Finch, Pine Siskin, Red-breasted Nuthatch and even Pine Grosbeak in the forest around Meadowlark Lake and ski area.

CJ Grimes
Ten Sleep

Back to top

Date: 3/27/17 8:20 am
From: Douglas Eddy <douglitas...>
Subject: Early Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Hi all,

Birding the University of Wyoming campus this morning, I found what turns
out to be a very early Ruby-crowned Kinglet. No March records for this
species exist for Wyoming on eBird, and Faulkner's Birds of Wyoming lists
the earliest arrival date as 26 March. Looks like maybe some of the shorter
distance migrants may be cueing in on the warm temperatures and moving
early this year.

Good birding,
Doug Eddy, Laramie

--
Doug Eddy
MS student, Carling Lab

Back to top
Date: 3/27/17 7:45 am
From: Rosemarie Hughes <ospreywatch26...>
Subject: Black-capped chickadee
Morning! The Black-capped Chickadee’s are at my home this morning.

Rosemarie

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Back to top
Date: 3/27/17 6:19 am
From: Hustace Scott <hustace...>
Subject:
I had Wood Ducks on our reservoir yesterday. My son had one on March 19,
which seems early to me. This morning I saw 7 fly toward the river.

Stacey Scott
SW of Casper.

Join us on Facebook!