WYOBIRDS
Received From Subject
4/25/18 7:17 am Leslie Colin Tribble <lctribble...> Birding in Laramie this weekend
4/24/18 4:28 pm dt <000000605737ba0c-dmarc-request...> Loons and others
4/24/18 1:15 pm Chuck Seniawski <000000156665bc53-dmarc-request...> Cheyenne Back Yard - correction
4/24/18 5:37 am Hustace Scott <hustace...>
4/23/18 10:01 am Ellis Hein <woodturnedart...> House wren
4/22/18 12:40 pm birder1 <birder1...> Re: Cheyenne Back Yard
4/22/18 11:02 am Donald Jones <dwilbertjones...> Dunlins - Hutton Lake NWR
4/22/18 9:50 am Chuck Seniawski <000000156665bc53-dmarc-request...> Cheyenne Back Yard
4/22/18 7:48 am Ellis Hein <woodturnedart...> various
4/21/18 9:17 am Chuck Seniawski <000000156665bc53-dmarc-request...> Cheyenne Back Yard
4/20/18 9:59 pm Chuck Seniawski <000000156665bc53-dmarc-request...> Cheyenne Back Yard
4/20/18 5:10 pm Ellis Hein <woodturnedart...> kinglet
4/20/18 7:21 am Todd Jensen <gyrfalcon...> Birding Gillette
4/20/18 5:20 am Hustace Scott <hustace...>
4/19/18 7:38 pm Jason Beason <aeronautes.saxatalis...> Goldeneye (or Burlington) Res 19-Apr
4/19/18 6:25 pm Zachariah Hutchinson <zachsbirdnerds...> Surprise! It’s an Email about Birds
4/17/18 3:50 pm Hustace Scott <hustace...>
4/17/18 9:22 am Chuck Seniawski <000000156665bc53-dmarc-request...> Cheyenne Back Yard
4/15/18 7:13 pm Hustace Scott <hustace...>
4/15/18 6:39 pm Cody Porter <empidonaxdvg...> Laramie area birds
4/15/18 3:24 pm Leslie Colin Tribble <lctribble...> Legend Rock State Park
4/14/18 6:57 pm Zachariah Hutchinson <zachsbirdnerds...> Birds and Stuff
4/14/18 6:42 pm Rich Weaver <popeyeweaver...> FOY birds
4/14/18 5:51 pm Ann Hines <annhines12...> spring
4/14/18 4:44 pm Ellis Hein <woodturnedart...> bluebirds
4/14/18 10:38 am Bob & Suzanne Hargis <bhargis...> Fwd: eBird Report - 5077 Riverview Rd. Riverton,,WY, Apr 14, 2018
4/12/18 8:01 pm Bob & Suzanne Hargis <bhargis...> Fwd: eBird Report - 5077 Riverview Rd. Riverton,,WY, Apr 12, 2018
4/12/18 4:07 pm Cody Porter <empidonaxdvg...> Anna’s Hummingbirds in Colorado
4/12/18 11:25 am Ellis Hein <woodturnedart...> spotted towhee
4/12/18 6:43 am Bruce Walgren <piranga...> Birding event in Nebraska
4/12/18 6:03 am Jan Hoar <hoarwest...> Birding in Cody
4/11/18 6:08 am Elizabeth Boehm <eboehmphoto...> Addendum
4/11/18 5:53 am Elizabeth Boehm <eboehmphoto...> Fontenelle
4/11/18 5:27 am Ellis Hein <woodturnedart...> Re: Cheyenne Back Yard
4/10/18 6:31 pm dt <000000605737ba0c-dmarc-request...> Green River Area
4/10/18 4:55 pm Chuck Seniawski <000000156665bc53-dmarc-request...> Cheyenne Back Yard
4/10/18 4:53 pm Chuck Seniawski <000000156665bc53-dmarc-request...> Wyoming Hereford Ranch
4/9/18 7:33 am Deibert, Pat <pat_deibert...> sage-grouse lek cam
4/8/18 9:56 pm Tom Axthelm <taxthelm...> Cooper's Hawks
4/8/18 5:16 pm Rich Weaver <popeyeweaver...> FOY Double Crested Cormurant
4/8/18 5:00 pm Gary & Judi Ogle <wypafl...> Re: Spring fever
4/8/18 7:55 am Chuck Seniawski <000000156665bc53-dmarc-request...> More signs of Spring
4/8/18 6:48 am Hustace Scott <hustace...>
4/8/18 6:19 am Jan Hoar <hoarwest...> Re: WYOBIRDS Digest - 6 Apr 2018 to 7 Apr 2018 (#2018-50)
4/8/18 6:14 am Susan Parkins <subob16...> Re: WYOBIRDS Digest - 6 Apr 2018 to 7 Apr 2018 (#2018-50)
4/8/18 5:34 am Leslie Colin Tribble <lctribble...> Re: WYOBIRDS Digest - 6 Apr 2018 to 7 Apr 2018 (#2018-50)
4/7/18 1:58 pm Ann Hines <annhines12...> Re: Feeder Birds Sundance
4/7/18 1:11 pm Ethel Adams <jgwindsong...> Feeder Birds Sundance
4/7/18 6:11 am Gary & Judi Ogle <wypafl...> Re: sandhill cranes
4/6/18 11:12 am Donald Jones <dwilbertjones...> McCown's Longspurs - Laramie County
4/5/18 10:05 am Cody Porter <empidonaxdvg...> Black phoebe greenbelt
4/5/18 9:54 am Cody Porter <empidonaxdvg...> Sagebrush Sparrow — Old Laramie River Rd.
4/4/18 10:14 pm Chuck Seniawski <000000156665bc53-dmarc-request...> FE Warren AFB
4/3/18 9:57 am Barb GORGES <bgorges4...> Noah Strycker, author of "Birding Without Borders," in Cheyenne May 14-15
4/3/18 9:07 am Barb GORGES <bgorges4...> Cheyenne Audubon April & May events
4/2/18 7:24 pm Ann Hines <annhines12...> TV
4/1/18 2:58 pm CJ Grimes <cjgrimes...> No foolin' around Ten Sleep
3/31/18 11:46 am Donald Jones <dwilbertjones...> Great-tailed Grackles in Laramie
3/31/18 10:36 am Bob & Suzanne Hargis <bhargis...> Fwd: eBird Report - 5077 Riverview Rd. Riverton,,WY, Mar 28, 2018
3/31/18 10:24 am Ann Hines <annhines12...> ekw
3/28/18 9:00 am Peter G. Arnold <pgapar...> Re: Boreal Owl — Snowy Range
3/28/18 7:49 am Donald Jones <dwilbertjones...> Re: Boreal Owl — Snowy Range
3/27/18 3:00 pm Ann Hines <annhines12...> Re: FOY Western Sandpiper!
3/27/18 1:12 pm Rich Weaver <popeyeweaver...> FOY Western Sandpiper!
3/27/18 11:44 am claylenef <claylenef...> Torrington yard
3/27/18 9:05 am Ann Hines <annhines12...> ekw

Back to top
Date: 4/25/18 7:17 am
From: Leslie Colin Tribble <lctribble...>
Subject: Birding in Laramie this weekend
I'm going to be in Laramie this weekend. Any suggestions on where to bird and what to look for? Are there any recent sightings of the Boreal Owl in the Snowies?
Thanks,Leslie Tribble

Back to top
Date: 4/24/18 4:28 pm
From: dt <000000605737ba0c-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Loons and others
 Hi all,This morning along the northern part of Flaming Gorge on the south edge of Buckboard Wash, I found 2 common loons in breeding plumage, as well as a number of other waterfowl species, a willet, various passerines, and a pair of prairie falcons.  List can be seen at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44908980
Good birding to all!
Diane T in Laramie

Back to top
Date: 4/24/18 1:15 pm
From: Chuck Seniawski <000000156665bc53-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Cheyenne Back Yard - correction
I reported a Swainson's Thrush last Saturday. After re-examining my photo, I determined the bird to be a Hermit Thrush instead. So... no Swainson's Thrush yet this Spring for me.

Chuck Seniawski

Back to top
Date: 4/24/18 5:37 am
From: Hustace Scott <hustace...>
Subject:
I had a Say's Phoebe yesterday afternoon very close to where I had the dark
backed Phoebe on April 19. I have been looking for the bird I saw on April
19 several times a day since April 19. This one looked like a Say's, and I
am now sure that April 19 Phoebe was not a Say's. The back of the Say's is
the light gray that I remember, and not the color of a Slate-colored
Junco. It is also almost impossible to not see the warm colors on the
belly of the Say's, even from a straight behind view. I think that I made
a bad error in not trying to get a slightly different view of the April 19
bird. I wish I had noticed if the bird was flicking its tail like a
Phoebe, but I was concentrated on the color of the head and back. When I
try to think of another bird that has the uniform Slate-colored Junco
color, I think the Black Phoebe is the only choice. A Robin might fit, but
there usually is a darker head and a slightly lighter back, not to mention
the different shape. Also, with the view I had the white around the eye
would have been visible.

In conclusion, I think I probably had a Black Phoebe on April 19, but I
just didn't see enough field marks to be absolutely positive.

Stacey Scott
SW of Casper

Back to top
Date: 4/23/18 10:01 am
From: Ellis Hein <woodturnedart...>
Subject: House wren
This morning, about 8:00 a.m. I had a house wren sitting in the
chokecherries singing. The first I have seen or heard this spring. When
the sun went behind the clouds, the wren disappeared also.

Ellis Hein 13 miles s.w. Casper

Back to top
Date: 4/22/18 12:40 pm
From: birder1 <birder1...>
Subject: Re: Cheyenne Back Yard
Mourning doves at Camplex east of Gillette

Sent from RT's phone.
-------- Original message --------From: Chuck Seniawski <000000156665bc53-dmarc-request...> Date: 4/22/18 10:49 AM (GMT-07:00) To: <WYOBIRDS...> Subject: Cheyenne Back Yard
Today's first-of-the-season was a pair of Mourning Doves.

Chuck Seniawski
Cheyenne

Back to top
Date: 4/22/18 11:02 am
From: Donald Jones <dwilbertjones...>
Subject: Dunlins - Hutton Lake NWR
Hi all,

Libby Megna, Paul Dougherty, and I birded Hutton Lake NWR near Laramie on
this absolutely gorgeous spring morning. We had 48 species in just over two
hours of birding, with the highlight being three breeding-plumage Dunlins
on the shoreline of Hutton Lake proper - my first in Wyoming! Other
shorebirds included Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, American Avocet,
Wilson's Snipe, Least Sandpiper, Killdeer, and a silent flyover flock of
Short-billed/Long-billed Dowitchers. We saw and photographed one intriguing
ibis that appeared to have features intermediate between White-faced and
Glossy, and enjoyed other personal first-of-year species including Brewer's
Blackbird, Vesper Sparrow, Marsh Wren, and Sage Thrasher. Best of all, the
sun was shining bright and there was no wind... truly a luxury on the
Laramie Plains! Photos of most of the above-mentioned species can be viewed
on our eBird checklist at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44828045.

FYI, there was an eBird also an report yesterday of two Dunlin outside of
Powell up in the Big Horn Basin, so it might be a good day to get out and
check your local shorebird spots!

Good birding,
Don Jones
Laramie, WY

Back to top

Date: 4/22/18 7:48 am
From: Ellis Hein <woodturnedart...>
Subject: various
Yesterday I had a mourning dove sitting up in the cottonwood trees, the
first I have seen this year. This morning I went looking to see if I
could find the kinglet I had seen the other day, but it was not to be
seen. I saw a white breasted nuthatch carrying food and at least two
others working around in the cottonwoods. The starlings are very busy,
robins were flying around and a pair of flickers were flying all over
the place, one chasing the other in a never ending circuit of the grove
of trees. All in all, a busy day for the birds.

Date: 4/21/18 9:17 am
From: Chuck Seniawski <000000156665bc53-dmarc-request...>
Just now, a Swainson's Thrush -- first of season.

Chuck Seniawski
Cheyenne

Back to top
Date: 4/20/18 9:59 pm
From: Chuck Seniawski <000000156665bc53-dmarc-request...>
An all-too-brief visit today by a first of season MacGillivray's Warbler.

Chuck Seniawski
Cheyenne

Back to top
Date: 4/20/18 5:10 pm
From: Ellis Hein <woodturnedart...>
Subject: kinglet
Today I saw a kinglet working in a willow tree. It was quite active
pursuing insects. Until I can get a better look at it, I am saying ruby
crowned. I could not see any stripe through the eye. I went to get my
binoculars, but by the time I got back, the kinglet was gone.

Date: 4/20/18 7:21 am
From: Todd Jensen <gyrfalcon...>
Subject: Birding Gillette
Nothing rare last two days birded cam-plex park in Gillette at have had broad winged hawk for these last 2 days

Back to top
Date: 4/20/18 5:20 am
From: Hustace Scott <hustace...>
Subject:
Yesterday was a good day for new birds. I had a Loggerhead Shrike and a
Swainson's Hawk in my fields. I had a good enough view of the shrike to
say it was a Loggerhead. On Shinn Rd, about 1/4 mile east of 12 mile I had
a Phoebe, probably a Say's. Unfortunately, I was already late for dinner
and in a hurry. The only view I got was from the back, and it was the
blackest Phoebe I have ever seen. It's back was the color of a
Slate-colored Junco, with the tail pure black.

Stacey Scott
SW of Casper

Back to top
Date: 4/19/18 7:38 pm
From: Jason Beason <aeronautes.saxatalis...>
Subject: Goldeneye (or Burlington) Res 19-Apr
Stopped at the reservoir this morning on way to Casper.

Here's my list:

Canada Goose 31
Northern Shoveler 46
Gadwall 55
American Wigeon 8
Redhead 2
Greater Scaup 3
Lesser Scaup 3
Greater/Lesser Scaup 13
Bufflehead 9
Common Merganser 4
Red-breasted Merganser 1
Ruddy Duck 2
Common Loon 2
Horned Grebe 4
Eared Grebe 24
Western Grebe 1
Double-crested Cormorant 1
American White Pelican 5
American Coot 985
Sandhill Crane 2
Killdeer 1
shorebird sp. 1
Ring-billed Gull 2
California Gull 6
gull sp. 5
Common Raven 3
Horned Lark 4
Western Meadowlark 5
Red-winged Blackbird 5
Brewer's Blackbird 1
Great-tailed Grackle 1

Good number of birds that were in the heat waves along shore looking east.
Wish I was better at identifying shorebirds vocalizations because the one
that flew over when I was there sounded interesting!

Good birdin',

--
Jason Beason
Casper, Wyoming

Back to top
Date: 4/19/18 6:25 pm
From: Zachariah Hutchinson <zachsbirdnerds...>
Subject: Surprise! It’s an Email about Birds
I’ve been taking groups out on lek tours all week, and have had some new
arrivals. They probably aren’t interesting, but it’s as exciting as we
could hope for here! (Minus Black Phoebe)

Tue: Horned Grebe at Alcova (and continuing 40+ loons)
Wed: Vesper Sparrows & Sage Thrasher
Thu: Least Sandpiper, Swainson’s Hawk, Yellow-headed Blackbird

Things are heating up! (Figuratively)

Zach
--
Zach Hutchinson, Master Bander
Flockingaround.com

Murie Audubon Society, President
Murieaudubon.org

Audubon Rockies, Community Naturalist
Rockies.audubon.org

Back to top
Date: 4/17/18 3:50 pm
From: Hustace Scott <hustace...>
Subject:
Before the snow, I had a Mourning Dove in my fields. Also, Zach showed me
a White-crowned Sparrow in my yard this morning. I still have most of my
winter birds at the feeder, and even added a pair of Mountain Bluebirds
that acted like they were trying to figure out what all the excitement was
about. It sure adds color to the yard when you have 5 1/2 inches of snow,
Mountain Bluebirds, Goldfinches, Red Cross-bills, Downy Woodpecker, House
Finches, Juncos, and Red-winged Blackbirds.

Stacey Scott
SW of Casper

Back to top
Date: 4/17/18 9:22 am
From: Chuck Seniawski <000000156665bc53-dmarc-request...>
The backyard has been pretty quiet lately, with winter residents still hanging around. Yesterday, a nice male Cassin's Finch showed up for a few hours. And, this year, for the first time ever, we've had birds actually come in just for suet. We've had suet out in past years and it has been largely ignored. This year, in addition to the ever present squirrels, we've had Hairy Woodpecker, Downy Woodpecker, Northern Flicker, and even Dark-eyed Juncos and House Sparrows feeding on the suet cakes.

Other current visitors to the back yard include Townsend's Solitaire, American Robin, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Mountain Chickadee, Brown Creeper, House Finches, Eurasian Collared Doves and crows. I've heard Blue Jays in the neighborhood the past couple days, but they've not come around but once since last fall, when they were regular visitors. Even hawks (Sharp-shinned and Cooper's) have been scarce.

Looking forward to migrants showing up soon here at the house.

Chuck Seniawski
Cheyenne

Back to top
Date: 4/15/18 7:13 pm
From: Hustace Scott <hustace...>
Subject:
Yesterday, 4/14, I had a couple of Franklin's Gulls following me in a field
in Bessemer Bend. I was corrugating, and the gulls were eating grubs and
worms that I was exposing. Today, Rich Weaver and I went to Alcova to look
for the Bohemian Waxwings that Ann Hines reported. We found about 20, and
had excellent views. That is a bird I had given up on seeing this year.
Thank you Ann. We looked for the birds that Zach reported, but missed all
of them except for the Loons that both Zach and Ann reported.

While I was talking to my sons in my yard, we spotted our first Grackle of
the year, and a couple of Rough-winged swallows. Getting a better view of
the swallows, I had a nice male Hairy Woodpecker, which was a new bird for
my yard.

We are now getting into the fun part of the year. You just don't know
which new bird you will see. I had a really good week-end.

Stacey Scott
SW of Casper

Back to top
Date: 4/15/18 6:39 pm
From: Cody Porter <empidonaxdvg...>
Subject: Laramie area birds
All,

I just went on a short walk at the Greenbelt and had my first Yellow-rumped Warblers (Myrtle) of the year.

This morning I went hiking in the open Ponderosa Pine forest along Blair Wallis Rd. near Middle Crow Creek. Lots of paired up Mountain Bluebirds, a flock of Evening Grosbeaks, a Cassin’s Finch, and a Wilson’s Snipe were highlights up in the Laramie Range.

Last night I led a Laramie Audubon Society owling trip in the Snowies. Despite pretty miserable conditions, we were rewarded with incredible looks at a singing Boreal Owl. A handful of us heard another bird singing in the distance.

Good birding,
Cody Porter

Back to top
Date: 4/15/18 3:24 pm
From: Leslie Colin Tribble <lctribble...>
Subject: Legend Rock State Park
Drove down to Legend Rock this morning, 4/15 hoping to pick up something interesting. Just as I was walking out I saw a pair of Say's Phoebe on top of a couple tall sagebrush. Also heard Marsh Wrens in the cattails along Cottonwood Creek but never saw them. Flushed up a disgruntled great-horned owl as well. A lovely day!
Leslie Colin TribbleCody

Back to top
Date: 4/14/18 6:57 pm
From: Zachariah Hutchinson <zachsbirdnerds...>
Subject: Birds and Stuff
Okay, this is just birds. No stuff.

At Alcova Dam this afternoon, I stopped to stretch my legs as I returned
from Lander.

Highlights:

19 White-throated Swifts
2 Barn Swallows
2 Northern Rough-winged Swallows
10 Violet-green Swallows
1 Northern Mockingbird
7 Pinyon Jays
8 Pied-billed Grebes

At Black Beach I found the large groups of Common Loons that I have come to
expect every year. I counted 69 Common Loons. You can expect to see about
100 if you bird the whole reservoir. They are usually gone by 4/22.

--
Zach Hutchinson, Master Bander
flockingaround.com
Twitter: @flockingaround
IG: @flocking.around

Audubon Rockies
Community Naturalist
rockies.audubon.org

Murie Audubon, President
murieaudubon.org

Back to top
Date: 4/14/18 6:42 pm
From: Rich Weaver <popeyeweaver...>
Subject: FOY birds
Greetings fellow birders,

New for the year on the East JTL Pond in Evansville was a Eared Grebe.

Initially, I had a yellowlegs spotted and took photos of it. Through a
further examination of the photos, it was determined with the longer bill
length that it was a Greater Yellowlegs and not a Lesser Yellowlegs.
Irregardless of whether that's a first for the area or not, it's been good
birding when I can get it in.

Best Birding Wishes,

Rich

Back to top
Date: 4/14/18 5:51 pm
From: Ann Hines <annhines12...>
Subject: spring
Nice birding day in our backyard
House Sparrow
House Finch
Blue Jay
Black capped Chickadee
Eurasian Collard Dove
Robin
Red-breasted NH
N. Flicker
Downy
White-crown Sparrow Ten days earlier that last year
Lincoln sparrow 11 days earlier than last year.

We made a trip the Alcova to check on the Loons. We had 14. Still a few
Bohemian Waxwings around. LOTS of fishermen on the river everywhere. New
for the year for us was Eared Grebe. We had three Ospreys on the way out.
We came by Bessermer Bend and had two more on the platform by the bridge
mating. NOTHING on the river there.
Ann in Casper

Back to top
Date: 4/14/18 4:44 pm
From: Ellis Hein <woodturnedart...>
Subject: bluebirds
I had a nice view of a pair of mountain bluebirds this afternoon. Nice
to see them again.

Date: 4/14/18 10:38 am
From: Bob & Suzanne Hargis <bhargis...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - 5077 Riverview Rd. Riverton,,WY, Apr 14, 2018
Hello Birders
Below is an ebird report from around the house this am west of
Riverton on the Big Wind River
a few new ones.. swallows late here?
Bob and Suzanne Hargis

Back to top
Date: 4/12/18 8:01 pm
From: Bob & Suzanne Hargis <bhargis...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - 5077 Riverview Rd. Riverton,,WY, Apr 12, 2018
Fox Sparrow (Red) (Passerella iliaca iliaca/zaboria) 1
Dark-eyed Junco (Junco hyemalis) 15
White-crowned Sparrow (Zonotrichia leucophrys) 2
Lincoln's Sparrow (Melospiza lincolnii) 1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44495648

Back to top
Date: 4/12/18 4:07 pm
From: Cody Porter <empidonaxdvg...>
Subject: Anna’s Hummingbirds in Colorado
All,

Just a quick note to say that two Anna’s Hummingbirds showed up at feeders along the Colorado Front Range today (one in Boulder count and one in Larimer county). Maybe there’s some kind of weird movement of that species that we could get in on here in WY.

So put out those hummingbird feeders! Broad-taileds aren’t *too* far away anyway!

Good birding,
Cody Porter

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 4/12/18 11:25 am
From: Ellis Hein <woodturnedart...>
Subject: spotted towhee
I first caught a glimpse of a bird I was sure was a spotted towhee 3 or
4 days ago. Today, Becky got a good look at the bird, enough to say,
"Yes, that is what it is!" So I can now say they are back (or maybe
moving through)

Date: 4/12/18 6:43 am
From: Bruce Walgren <piranga...>
Subject: Birding event in Nebraska
Dear Birding Friends,

Our birding friends to the east, the Nebraska Ornithological Union (NOU),
have invited birders in Wyoming to join them at their spring event in
northwestern Nebraska at Fort Robinson State Park near Crawford, Nebraska.
You need not be a member of NOU to participate. Here is a link to the
registration form: http://www.noubirds.org/Meetings/Registration/116.pdf

Below is a description of the week-end activities:

NOU's May birding event in northwestern Nebraska is fast approaching. Friday
evening, May 18, we will gather at Fort Robinson State Park to meet up with
old and new friends, share stories and make plans for the weekend. Amber
Schiltz and Amanda Siliti with Bird Conservancy of the Rockies will be our
evening speakers. They will be talking to us about the bird banding project
at Chadron State Park.

On Saturday, we will have birding field trips to area hot spots such as
Sowbelly Canyon, Gilbert-Baker Wildlife Management Area, East Ash Creek
Canyon, Chadron State Park, and Toadstool Park. Our trip leaders are making
plans to show you some of the best birding spots, with hopes of finding some
exciting species. As you know, the weather can have big impact on roads and
birds, so some last minute adjustments may be needed. Saturday evening, we
will get together to share our sightings, have supper and talk about Sunday
field trips. Rick Wright will be our featured speaker, and his presentation
is titled Brown is Beautiful: Discovering the American Sparrows and their
Discoverers. It will be a fascinating presentation!

The gathering will take place in the Buffalo Barracks on the main campus of
Ft. Robinson State Park, which is located just off of Highway 20 west of
Crawford. The Buffalo Barracks are an "L" shaped building just up the
street from the main lodge. Many people are staying at Ft. Robinson, but
motels are also available 4 miles away in Crawford (Hilltop Motel,
308-665-1144), 23 miles away in Harrison (Sage Motel, 308-665-5300), and 28
miles away in Chadron (various options). Cabins also remain available at
Chadron State Park, but be advised it is a 40 minute drive between the two
parks. See you at Ft. Rob!

Back to top
Date: 4/12/18 6:03 am
From: Jan Hoar <hoarwest...>
Subject: Birding in Cody
A stroll through Beck Lake Park in Cody yesterday afternoon revealed:

Common Loon

Red Breasted Merganser

Cedar Waxwing (many)

Bohemian Waxwing

Pie Billed Grebes

Canada Geese

American Robins

Osprey on nest

Seagulls (white head, black wing tips-I'm not that good at Gull id's!)

Nearby on Buchanan Pond:

Northern Shovelers

Mallards

Jan Smith Hoar

Cody, WY 82414-9606

"Everything in creation-be it a star or a flower-is a sign, that if
followed, leads to God."~Christopher West

Back to top
Date: 4/11/18 6:08 am
From: Elizabeth Boehm <eboehmphoto...>
Subject: Addendum
I forgot one of the more notable species.

A small group of Red-breasted Mergansers, 4M, 3F.

Back to top
Date: 4/11/18 5:53 am
From: Elizabeth Boehm <eboehmphoto...>
Subject: Fontenelle
Left Pinedale with a flock of 10 Long-Billed Curlew flying over and calling. A good sign!

Spent the afternoon just below the Fontenelle Reservoir. Overcast skies, warm temps. (60 degrees high) breezy but not windy. It was good to have firm, dry ground under my feet. The reservoir is drawn low but ice and snow are completely gone. Lots of fisherman thus waterfowl were not plentiful and quite skittish; many raptors noted. Species seen:

Osprey
Prairie Falcon
American Kestrel
Cooper's Hawk
Bald Eagle
Golden Eagle
Red-tailed Hawk
Great Horned Owl
Canada Goose
American Widgeon
Gadwall
Common Goldeneye
Common Merganser (numerous)
Mallard
American White Pelican
Great Blue Heron
Sandhill Crane (audible)
Killdeer
Wilson's Snipe
Ring-billed Gull
Northern Flicker
Mountain Bluebird
Western Meadowlark
Tree Swallow
Sage Thrasher
Horned Lark
Black-billed Magpie
Common Raven
American Robin
Dark-eyed Junco
Black-capped Chickadee
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Red-winged Blackbird
European Starling

Back to top
Date: 4/11/18 5:27 am
From: Ellis Hein <woodturnedart...>
How many vultures do I need to see flying around before I call them a
kettle? I saw four today, is it appropriate to term that a kettle?

Thanks for the information.

Ellis Hein 13 miles s.w. Casper

On
Tue, 10 Apr 2018 19:54:48 -0400 Chuck Seniawski
<000000156665bc53-dmarc-request...> wrote:

> Also, yesterday another 35 Turkey Vultures kettling over our house in
> North Cheyenne. They're definitely on the move.
>
> Chuck Seniawski

Back to top
Date: 4/10/18 6:31 pm
From: dt <000000605737ba0c-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Green River Area
 Hi all,Stellar day today in the Green River area.  Started with grouse on a lek standing as frozen as statues.  After approx. 5+ minutes of not a twitch, a golden eagle flushed from the ground in the midst and just downhill (out of my sight) from them, scattering all 3 males and a female, but not nabbing any of them.  This eagle also was harassing the birds on the lek last week when I visited it.  Sage thrashers, horned larks, and sagebrush sparrows were singing up a storm, so to speak, but the weather was a balmy 29 degrees and calm--for now.  At around 8 am, I headed over to Seedskadee and birded from the headquarters, on the Flicker Trail, and then drove the "Auto Tour" route.  There, I tallied 46 species, a nice spring menagerie.  Lists on eBird, but species of note are described further in this email.
There were seven trumpeter swans--one pair in one location and two pairs and a singleton in another location.  The males in the group of five got into a bit of a tussle, wing flapping and charging across the water at each other, then laying the wings out on the water surface as if mantling, then forward rapid flapping of the wings and arching of the back to "stand" on the water using their feet and tails.  A great show!
Common mergansers were out in force, with over 100 seen, as were many of the other commonly seen duck species and a single eared grebe.  Three black-necked stilts foraged on a sand spit where lots of ring-billed and California gulls also congregated.
Raptors included bald and golden eagles, American kestrel, prairie falcon, several northern harrier pairs (with males performing the rollercoaster/undulating flight display), and several red-tailed hawks at nests and/or incubating.  One of the bald eagles--a first year subadult--stood precariously atop a flimsy heron nest in a small rookery, where approximately 5 feet below, an adult great blue heron perched on a nest, probably wishing himself invisible, and not moving a muscle.  A female rough-legged hawk was a bit of a surprise at this late date.  Also surprising (to me), no owls were seen.
Sandhill cranes were calling--one pair was dancing, a number were out in the fields, and four were circling very high.  Greater yellowlegs and snipe also were seen in the wetlands.
A large hatch of some kind was in the air, with clouds of insects moving in the air, so I was glad to see violet-green and tree swallows had something to eat.
Of the passerines to be expected this time of year, the most numerous in the wetlands were marsh wrens and song sparrows, which seemed to be singing everywhere.  In the uplands, sagebrush sparrows and horned larks and magpies prevailed.  Red-winged blackbirds were ubiquitous as well, and four yellow-headed blackbirds flew over the headquarters.  And all this while being serenaded by western meadowlarks.  Grab spring while you can...there's a front coming in!Diane

Back to top
Date: 4/10/18 4:55 pm
From: Chuck Seniawski <000000156665bc53-dmarc-request...>

Date: 4/10/18 4:53 pm
From: Chuck Seniawski <000000156665bc53-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Wyoming Hereford Ranch
A quiet day at the reservoir this afternoon, with only Buffleheads, Lesser Scaup, and Ruddy Ducks in small numbers; a Great Blue Heron and an American Robin.

At the ranch, first of year birds for me included Say's Phoebe and Yellow-rumped Warbler (Audubon's). Western Meadowlarks were much more plentiful than when I was last out. There was one Rough-legged Hawk which has apparently decided to stay south a little longer. The full list:

Canada Goose 2
Blue-winged Teal 5
Gadwall 4
Mallard 11
Great Blue Heron 3
Sharp-shinned Hawk 1 Trying to intercept one bird out of a flock of robins -- unsuccessful.
Rough-legged Hawk 1
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Eurasian Collared-Dove 1
Belted Kingfisher 2
Northern Flicker 2
Say's Phoebe 3
American Crow 3
American Robin 88 Scattered small groups plus a migrating flock of about 70.
European Starling 15
Yellow-rumped Warbler 1 male Audubon's
Dark-eyed Junco 7
Song Sparrow 1
Western Meadowlark 12
Red-winged Blackbird 3

Good birding to all!

Chuck Seniawski
Cheyenne

Back to top
Date: 4/9/18 7:33 am
From: Deibert, Pat <pat_deibert...>
Subject: sage-grouse lek cam
Hello sage-grouse fans!!!!

Once again there is a lek cam to view sage-grouse every morning from the
comfort (and warmth) of your home! Hosted by the Nature Conservancy and
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and the very good graces of a private
landowner, the lek cam is up and running 24/7 until early May. There is a
"driver" from 6 to 10 a.m. mountain time just to keep the camera on the
action. Sometimes you can tune in at dusk and see the males wandering
around as well. For those who viewed the lek cam before the camera has
been replaced and the images are much improved. It is infrared before
sunrise so you can see the birds in the dark as well.

You can find the cam by googling Nature Conservancy lek cam. You will be
directed to a page with a great photo of a grouse - hit the arrow to make
the camera go live!

Some tidbits:
1. best viewing starts around 7 mountain time - just before sunrise at the
camera location. It feels very decadent to get up "late", fix coffee or
tea, casually stroll to the computer and bird watch in sweats or robe while
out of the wind..... After all our early birding mornings, why not?

2. The camera is actually on a lek in OR. You will notice a fence and an
area closest to the camera that is full of cow "deposits". This is all
private land and the area in the foreground is used to stage cattle prior
to loading into trucks. The grouse seem to "like" how open it is. While
the fence is not optimal, it is well marked and the birds seem to negotiate
it well. The landowner is being very gracious by allowing the camera to be
on her land - the camera is secure and she likes showing off her birds!

3. Camera drivers are volunteers and often live very far away from the
actual lek (in one case greater than 3,000 miles). So sometimes the camera
doesn't respond instantly....

4. Enjoy the other birding!!! Today a mountain bluebird provided an
emphatic background soliloquy, later joined by meadowlarks and horned
larks. Coyotes are not to be outdone - they provided a short chorus just
before dawn. Pronghorn often wander through and the cows are not to be
ignored!

5. Share with friend who might not have the privilege we have of actually
going to a lek in person! Great way to give them a glimpse of our special
world and maybe inspire a new birder (ok, done with the pep talk now).

Happy grousing!!!
Pat, in the burb's of Buford, and a lek in OR.....

Back to top
Date: 4/8/18 9:56 pm
From: Tom Axthelm <taxthelm...>
Subject: Cooper's Hawks
Yesterday there were a pair of Cooper' Hawks sitting in the top of a tree at
the intersection of Main Street and College View Drive in Riverton (Peck's
property). My first thought was that they would be Sharp-shinned hawks but
after much looking at them and checking a half dozen field guides I am quite
sure that they were Coopers. They were very close to street and all the
traffic didn't bother them. This was the first time I have ever seen two of
them sitting together and I wonder if they will nest here or are just
passing through.

Tom Axthelm

Riverton

Back to top
Date: 4/8/18 5:16 pm
From: Rich Weaver <popeyeweaver...>
Subject: FOY Double Crested Cormurant
Good Evening Fellow Bird Enthusiasts,

This morning a drive through the East Pond of the JTL ponds in Evansville
Wyoming produced a first of the year Double Crested Cormurant.

(Matt Fraker, in the event you are reading this, I did get a photograph of
it. Chances are good that I didn't beat a record by one day knowing my
luck!!! Ha ha ha!)

Best Birding Wishes to all,

Rich Weaver

Back to top
Date: 4/8/18 5:00 pm
From: Gary & Judi Ogle <wypafl...>
Subject: Re: Spring fever
Spring is definitely descending, whether the weather agrees or not! I had a
FOS song sparrow in my yard Sat along with some starlings. The red winged
blackbirds are constantly in my mother in law's trees and the house finches
have descended on her feeder. There are numerous killdeer around and we
have had a Cooper's hawk stalking our yard.

Must say I am now being seen with binoculars in hand and in car!

Judi Ogle
Burns

Back to top
Date: 4/8/18 7:55 am
From: Chuck Seniawski <000000156665bc53-dmarc-request...>
Subject: More signs of Spring
We had a mixed flock of about 50 American Robins and four Common Grackles in the neighborhood yesterday. Common Grackles are my own indicator of Spring, since some robins winter here in the city. Also saw the kettle of Turkey Vultures previously reported in North Cheyenne.

Chuck Seniawski
Cheyenne

Back to top
Date: 4/8/18 6:48 am
From: Hustace Scott <hustace...>
Subject:
Rich Weaver and I went to Goldeneye and Rd 123 yesterday. We had an Osprey
on the nesting platform at the Bessemer Bend bridge, and a Kestrel in
Bessemer Bend. We saw 3 Kestrels before we got to hwy 20/26. At
Goldeneye, there were lots of fishermen in boats and lots of coots. Most
of the ducks were way too far away to identify. I had my knee replaced 3
1/2 weeks ago, and cannot walk very far, so I didn't get far from the
parking lot. We found one Common Loon, and I saw an interesting merganser
about a 1/4 mile beyond what my scope could see well enough to identify.
We did see Common and Hooded Mergansers. At Rd 123 we didn't see anything
new, but had a great view of a Sandhill Crane.

At my feeder, I still have most of the winter birds. Yesterday, I saw my
first Cassin's Finch of the spring. I had a female for 2 days in February,
and usually get good numbers in late February and March. I keep looking
for Gray-headed Juncos, but haven't seen any this year. I have lots
Pink-sided, Oregon and Slate-colored, just no Gray-headed. This spring, I
have Red Cross-bills (about 20 if they all show up), Red-breasted and
White-breasted Nuthatches and Steller's Jays none of which I have had at my
feeder before this year. I love to see the Goldfinches this time of year
because their molt seems to be rather random. I have birds from almost
good summer plumage to birds with just a few bright feathers, and
everything in-between. I also have Black-capped Chickadees (the Mountain
were last seen in mid March), House Finches, a pair of Downy Woodpeckers, a
Red-wing, a pair of Song Sparrows, doves, Starlings, and House Sparrows.
And there are singing Meadowlarks in the front pasture.

Stacey Scott

Back to top
Date: 4/8/18 6:19 am
From: Jan Hoar <hoarwest...>
Subject: Re: WYOBIRDS Digest - 6 Apr 2018 to 7 Apr 2018 (#2018-50)
I had to look this up: A group of vultures is called a committee, venue or
volt. In flight, a flock of vultures is a kettle, and when the birds are
feeding together at a carcass, the group is called a wake.

I feel smarter. Thanks!

Jan
"Failure is a part of progress, not a final outcome."~ Matthew Kelly

Date: 4/8/18 6:14 am
From: Susan Parkins <subob16...>

Date:    Sat, 7 Apr 2018 14:58:29 -0600
From:    Ann Hines <annhines12...>
Subject: Re: Feeder Birds Sundance

------------------------------

Date: 4/7/18 1:58 pm
From: Ann Hines <annhines12...>
Glad to see your post.
Ann in Casper

On Sat, Apr 7, 2018 at 2:11 PM, Ethel Adams <jgwindsong...> wrote:

> With all the winter weather my feeders have been a busy place with the
> following birds:
>
> Blue Jay
> Am. Crow
> Black-capped Chickadee
> Red-breasted Nuthatch
> Am. Robin
> Am. Tree Sparrow
> Dark-eyed Junco
> Purple Finch
> Cassin's Finch
> House Finch
> Common Redpoll
> Hoary Redpoll
> Pine Siskin
> Am. Gold Finch
> House Sparrow.
>
> Good Birding to all
>
> Jean Adams
> Sundance, Wy

Back to top

Date: 4/6/18 11:12 am
From: Donald Jones <dwilbertjones...>
Subject: McCown's Longspurs - Laramie County
Hi all,

On my way down to the airport in Denver this morning, I toured through the
grasslands around Burns (north of I-80, east of Cheyenne) in search of
Sharp-tailed Grouse. As I was squinting through the blowing snow at a few
grouse dancing on a lek, I was pleasantly surprised when a small flock of
McCown's Longspurs flew directly overhead.

Despite the wintry weather, spring is on the way!

Best,
Don Jones
Laramie, WY

Back to top
Date: 4/5/18 10:05 am
From: Cody Porter <empidonaxdvg...>
Subject: Black phoebe greenbelt
All,

Laurel Armstrong just sent a picture of a black phoebe she had at the Greenbelt this morning. On my way to find it.

Best,
Cody
Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 4/5/18 9:54 am
From: Cody Porter <empidonaxdvg...>
Subject: Sagebrush Sparrow — Old Laramie River Rd.
All,

Doug Eddy, Ashleigh Rhea, and I are on a sagebrush sparrow on Old Laramie River Rd. right near the trees on the west side of the road where Swainson’s Hawks usually nest (before the bridge coming from the south).

-cody

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 4/4/18 10:14 pm
From: Chuck Seniawski <000000156665bc53-dmarc-request...>
Subject: FE Warren AFB
First Osprey of the Spring this afternoon at FE Warren Air Force Base.

Chuck Seniawski
Cheyenne

Back to top
Date: 4/3/18 9:57 am
From: Barb GORGES <bgorges4...>
Subject: Noah Strycker, author of "Birding Without Borders," in Cheyenne May 14-15
Dear Wyobirders,
We hope you can help us give Noah Strycker a warm welcome to Wyoming May 14-15-he's never been in the state before! Here's the feature story I wrote for the Wyoming Tribune Eagle and www.wyomingnetworknews.com<http://www.wyomingnetworknews.com>.
Feel free to share this. You can also share the link which has the text and photos: https://cheyennebirdbanter.wordpress.com/2018/04/02/world-birder-noah-strycker-to-visit-cheyenne/. You are welcome to use any of the photos and text to promote the talk and field trip.
Thanks,
Barb Gorges
Cheyenne - High Plains Audubon Society
307-287-4952

World-record-setting birder and author to visit Cheyenne-and Wyoming-for the first time
By Barb Gorges
World-record birder Noah Strycker is coming to speak in Cheyenne May 14, sponsored by the Cheyenne - High Plains Audubon Society and the Laramie County Library (7 p.m., 2200 Pioneer Ave., Cottonwood Room, free admission, open to the public).
Strycker is the author of the book Birding Without Borders, An Obsession, A Quest, and the Biggest Year in the World. His talk, humorous and inspiring, will reflect the subject of his book.
Imagine travelling non-stop for a year, the year you are turning 30, taking only a backpack that qualifies as carry-on luggage. At least in this digital age, the maps Strycker needed and the six-foot stack of bird field guide books covering the world could be reduced to fit in his laptop.
Also, it was a year of couch surfing as local birders in many countries offered him places to stay as well as help in locating birds. There were knowledgeable bird nerds everywhere that wanted him to set the world record. First, he used https://eBird.org to figure out where the birds would be and then he looked up http://birdingpal.org/ to find the birders.
Strycker planned to see 5,000 species of birds, nearly half the 10,365 identified as of 2015, to break the old record of 4,000-some. But he hit that goal Oct. 26 in the Philippines with the Flame-crowned Flowerpecker and decided to keep going, totaling 6,042 species.
Strycker is looking forward to visiting Wyoming for the first time. The day after his talk, on Tuesday, May 15, his goal is to see 100 species of birds in our state. This is not an impossible feat at the height of spring migration.
He'll have help from Wyoming's best-known birders, Jane and Robert Dorn, who wrote the book, Wyoming Birds.
Robert has already plotted a route for an Audubon field trip that will start in Cheyenne at the Wyoming Hereford Ranch at 6 a.m. and move onto Lions Park by 8:30 a.m. Soon after we'll head for Hutton Lake National Wildlife Refuge west of Laramie and some of the Laramie Plains lakes before heading through Sybille Canyon to Wheatland, to visit Grayrocks and Guernsey reservoirs.
There's no telling what time we'll make the 100-species goal, but we expect to be able to relax and have dinner, maybe in Torrington. Anyone who would like to join us is welcome for all or part of the day. Birding expertise is not required, however, brownbag lunch, water, appropriate clothing and plenty of stamina is. And bring binoculars. To sign up, send your name and cell phone number to <mgorges...><mailto:<mgorges...>. See also https://cheyenneaudubon.wordpress.com/ for more information.
I don't know if Strycker is going for a new goal of 100 species in every state, but it will be as fun for us to help him as it was for the birders in those 40 other countries. I just hope we don't find ourselves stuck on a muddy road as he was sometimes.
Anyone, serious birder or not, can enjoy Strycker's Birding Without Borders, either the talk or the book. The book is not a blow by blow description of all the birds he saw, but a selection of the most interesting stories about birds, birders and their habitat told with delightful optimism. But I don't think his only goal was a number. I think it was also international insight. Although he's done ornithological field work on six continents, traveling provides the big picture.
Strycker is associate editor of Birding magazine, published by the American Birding Association. He's written two previous books about his birding experiences, Among Penguins and The Thing with Feathers.
You can find Strycker's Birding Without Borders book at Barnes and Noble and online, possibly at the talk. He will be happy to autograph copies.
His latest writing is the text for National Geographic's "The Birds of the Photo Ark." It features 300 of Joel Sartore's exquisite portraits of birds from around the world, part of Sartore's quest to photograph as many of the world's animals as possible. The book came out this spring.
xxx

Back to top
Date: 4/3/18 9:07 am
From: Barb GORGES <bgorges4...>
Subject: Cheyenne Audubon April & May events
Dear Wyobirders,
Down here the Cheyenne - High Plains Audubon Society has a variety of events with partners this spring and all of you are invited. Please feel free to share these news releases with your birding friends and organizations, especially for the Noah Strycker events.
Thanks,
Barb Gorges
Cheyenne
307-287-4952
April 17 - CHPAS meeting - How to eBird: record observations, plan vacations and more (Barb and Mark Gorges), Cheyenne
April 21 - Bird Conservancy of the Rockies 30th Anniversary and Kite Festival, Barr Lake State Park, Brighton, Colorado
April 28 - CHPAS and The Nature Conservancy - Sharp-tailed Grouse lek tour, southeastern Laramie County
May 14 - CHPAS/Laramie County Library talk: Author and world birder Noah Strycker, "Birding Without Borders, An Epic World Big Year," Cheyenne
May 15 - CHPAS field trip - Finding 100 bird species with Noah Strycker, southeastern Wyoming
May 19 - CHPAS field trip - Cheyenne Big Day Bird Count, Cheyenne area, more info soon.
-------------------
Cheyenne Audubon presents free talk on how to "eBird" April 17
Long-time members of the Cheyenne - High Plains Audubon Society, Barb and Mark Gorges, will explain how to use the eBird app April 17 in the Sunflower Room (3rd floor) at the Laramie County Library, 2200 Pioneer Ave. at 7 p.m.
eBird can be used to record and share bird sightings, plan birding vacations and find out more about birds all over the world.
This talk is free and open to the public. For more information about this and other Audubon events, see https://cheyenneaudubon.wordpress.com/habitat-hero/ or contact Mark, 307-287-4953, <mgorges...><mailto:<mgorges...>.
--------------------
Public invited to Bird Conservancy of the Rockies' 30th Anniversary Celebration and Kite Festival April 21
The Bird Conservancy of the Rockies invites the public to join them in their 30th Anniversary and Kite Festival April 21 at Barr Lake State Park Nature Center, 13401 Picadilly Rd., Brighton, Colorado.
The Earth Day weekend event begins at 8 a.m. with guided bird walks and bird banding, continues at 9:30 a.m. with live bird presentations, the Kite Festival and bird education booths at 10 a.m., anniversary presentations at 11:30 a.m. and lunch at noon.
The $5 per vehicle registration fee covers lunch, birthday cake and park entrance fee. Register at https://www.facebook.com/pg/birdconservancy/events/. More information is at https<https://birdconservancy.org/>://birdconservancy.org/</birdconservancy.org/>.
---------------------
Cheyenne Audubon and The Nature Conservancy offer Sharp-tailed Grouse Lek tour April 28
The Cheyenne - High Plains Audubon Society and The Nature Conservancy are offering a 3-hour Sharp-tailed Grouse lek tour April 28 at 5:30 a.m. in eastern Laramie County.
The trip will be led by Brent Lathrop from The Nature Conservancy. To register and get details, please call Mark Gorges, 307-287-4953.
--------------------------
Author and world birder Noah Strycker talks about "Birding Without Borders" May 14-free and open to public
[A 700-word feature story and photos are available for publication at https://cheyennebirdbanter.wordpress.com/2018/04/02/world-birder-noah-strycker-to-visit-cheyenne/. ]
The Cheyenne - High Plains Audubon Society and the Laramie County Library present author and birder Noah Strycker, "Birding Without Borders-An Epic World Big Year," May 14, 7 p.m. Cottonwood Room, Laramie County Library, 2200 Pioneer Ave., Cheyenne.
In 2015, Strycker broke the record for number of bird species seen in one year. Traveling through 41 countries, he saw 6,042, more than half the world's bird species. Anything could have happened, and a lot did. He was scourged by blood-sucking leeches, suffered fevers and sleep deprivation, survived airline snafus and car breakdowns and mudslides and torrential floods, skirted war zones, and had the time of his life. Birding on seven continents and carrying only a pack on his back, Strycker enlisted the enthusiastic support of local birders. This humorous and inspiring presentation about Strycker's epic World Big Year will leave you with a new appreciation for the birds and birders of the world.
Strycker will autograph his book, "Birding Without Borders." His website is www.noahstrycker.com<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.noahstrycker.com&data=02%7C01%7C%7C0ebd77986cfd458af89d08d552426231%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636505367848217299&sdata=Y9aPc9ZA6BRrBDmQoULXJP%2Fojg%2BdmuKGxSryCGojpzc%3D&reserved=0>. See also https://cheyenneaudubon.wordpress.com/ for more information.
---------------------------
Author and world birder Noah Strycker invites birdwatchers' help May 15 finding 100 species in southeastern Wyoming-free and open to the public
[A 700-word feature story and photos are available for publication at https://cheyennebirdbanter.wordpress.com/2018/04/02/world-birder-noah-strycker-to-visit-cheyenne/. ]
The Cheyenne - High Plains Audubon Society and author and world birder Noah Strycker invite birdwatchers to help Strycker find 100 bird species in southeastern Wyoming May 15.
The field trip will begin at 6 a.m. at the Wyoming Hereford Ranch and will include Hutton Lake National Wildlife Refuge, Laramie Plains lakes, Sybille Canyon and Gray Rocks and Guernsey reservoirs. Participants may join for all or part of the day.
The trip is free and open to the public. Please register by sending your name and cell phone number to <mgorges...><mailto:<mgorges...>. See also https://cheyenneaudubon.wordpress.com/ for more information.

Date: 4/2/18 7:24 pm
From: Ann Hines <annhines12...>
Subject: TV
We had a kettle of about 30 TVs flying near our house as we were eating
dinner. FOY
Ann in Casper

Back to top
Date: 4/1/18 2:58 pm
From: CJ Grimes <cjgrimes...>
Subject: No foolin' around Ten Sleep
My apologies for lack of posting for a while... March was a slow transition from winter to spring in real time, but looking back it happened fast! The first week of the month I saw what ended up being the last of Northern Shrike, Common Redpoll and Rough-legged Hawk (although I did see a large flock of redpolls heading north just a few days ago). By the second week we began to see Mountain Bluebirds, Red-winged Blackbirds and American Robins, plus some noisy Sandhill Cranes returning to their territory. The third and fourth weeks brought Song Sparrow, Western Meadowlark Belted Kingfisher and Red-tailed Hawk (the last two species are around most winters, but were not this year).

And here on the first day of April we have already heard Chipping Sparrow and White-throated Swift to kick off the new month. I look forward to hitting the badlands this week for some grouse lek counts and to see what else April has in store.

CJ Grimes
Ten Sleep

Back to top
Date: 3/31/18 11:46 am
From: Donald Jones <dwilbertjones...>
Subject: Great-tailed Grackles in Laramie
Hi all,

This morning I followed up on a recent eBird report of a Great-tailed
Grackle where I've seen them before, behind the Pilot travel store along
I-80 at the Curtis Street exit. I found 3 females and one male, which was
making some pretty interesting songs and courtship displays, in the cattail
ditch and along the roadside lawn next to Curtis Street. Seeing them in a
garbage-filled ditch isn't the classiest experience of a species that is
still somewhat of a novelty here in Wyoming, but it is a handy spot for
anyone traveling along Interstate 80!

Photos are embedded in my eBird checklist at
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44122635.

Best,
Don Jones
Laramie, WY

Back to top
Date: 3/31/18 10:36 am
From: Bob & Suzanne Hargis <bhargis...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - 5077 Riverview Rd. Riverton,,WY, Mar 28, 2018
Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) 2
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) 2
Common Merganser (Mergus merganser) 6 5 of 6 birds
Ring-necked Pheasant (Phasianus colchicus) 5 2 males 3 hens
Sandhill Crane (Antigone canadensis) 2 This photo taken Monday AM in blizzard below house on river.. present today but not photoed
Killdeer (Charadrius vociferus) 1 first in a while on river
Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis) 1
Eurasian Collared-Dove (Streptopelia decaocto) 3
Great Horned Owl (Bubo virginianus) 1
Downy Woodpecker (Picoides pubescens) 2
Hairy Woodpecker (Picoides villosus) 1
Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus) 1
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata) 3 Around from time to time here west of Riverton but very late record for us here
Black-billed Magpie (Pica hudsonia) 3
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos) 1
Common Raven (Corvus corax) 1
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus) 2
White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis) 1
American Robin (Turdus migratorius) 2
European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris) 4
Dark-eyed Junco (Junco hyemalis) 5
Western Meadowlark (Sturnella neglecta) 1 across river singing
Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus) 20
Common Grackle (Quiscalus quiscula) 1
Cassin's Finch (Haemorhous cassinii) 1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44033094

Back to top
Date: 3/31/18 10:24 am
From: Ann Hines <annhines12...>
Subject: ekw
Cool March morning at EKW 24 degrees.
Red wing blackbird
Meadowlark
Northern Flicker
Mallard
Green wing teal
Great Blue Heron
Canada Geese
Ann in Casper

Back to top
Date: 3/28/18 9:00 am
From: Peter G. Arnold <pgapar...>
Subject: Re: Boreal Owl — Snowy Range
Congrats to both Don and Cody. They both also tell a great story. Although
I am envious as a birder, as a photographer, I am just as glad to stay in
front of the stove on those cold nights!

Pete

--
Pete Arnold
1709 Moriah Lane

Back to top
Date: 3/28/18 7:49 am
From: Donald Jones <dwilbertjones...>

wrote:

> All,
>
> Doug Eddy, Jimena Golcher-Benavides, and I just got incredible looks at a
> Boreal Owl in the Snowies. We heard the bird singing several times right
> where Snowy Range road stops being maintained. After a very chilly hour or
> so of trying to catch up with the bird, we finally spotted it at the edge
> of a tall spruce right above our heads.
>
> Despite having heard 2 Boreal Owls before, including one last spring at
> Brooklyn Lake, this was my first time laying eyes on one. This is possibly
> the North American bird I’ve most wanted to see since I started birding, so
> tonight was a real treat.
>
> Good birding,
> Cody Porter
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 3/27/18 3:00 pm
From: Ann Hines <annhines12...>
Subject: Re: FOY Western Sandpiper!
We sure missed that one. We were there shortly before nine and didn't see
it. We did have a Great Blue at EKW.
Ann

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 2:12 PM, Rich Weaver <popeyeweaver...> wrote:

> Hi birders,
>
> This morning at 8:05 am I had a western sandpiper (FOY) on the west end of
> Reshaw Park located on the north shore of the N. Platte River. The thick
> base of the bill as well as its slight curvature downward and the
> approximate size, shape, and coloration has led me to that conclusion.
> Unless, of course, I become debunked by a more experienced birder, which
> has happened in the past, and I will be open minded to that possibility.
>
> There was also a Green Winged Teal. Great Birding to all and to all a good
> day!
>
> Cheerio!
>
> Rich

Back to top

Date: 3/27/18 11:44 am
From: claylenef <claylenef...>
Subject: Torrington yard

Today, in my yard,  I have FOY, Common Grackle.I suppose they'll take over my bird feeders again!
Also have numerous American Goldfinches along with House Finches, Robins, House Sparrows, 1 White crowned sparrow, 3 Eurasian Collard Doves, 1 Northern Flicker, Pine Siskins.
Happy Birding!

Back to top
Date: 3/27/18 9:05 am
From: Ann Hines <annhines12...>