WYOBIRDS
Received From Subject
2/21/18 4:40 pm Alice Flyr <aflyr...> Hungry Rosy-Finches, Park County, WY
2/21/18 1:43 pm Alice Flyr <aflyr...> Rosy-Finches, Park County, WY
2/21/18 10:03 am Jeanene Esterholt <ridinginthewinds...>
2/21/18 8:45 am Hustace Scott <hustace...>
2/18/18 5:40 am Hustace Scott <hustace...>
2/17/18 4:32 pm Raymond M. Soff Jr. <clarksnutcracker...> thank you for answering question - Old Laramie River Road - from October 2017
2/12/18 6:39 am Donald Jones <dwilbertjones...> Central Platte Valley, 2/12/17 - Waterfowl, Eastern Bluebird, Hybrid Chickadee
2/8/18 9:25 am Gary Lefko <000003881d93609c-dmarc-request...> Next Raptor Alley Trip
2/3/18 5:16 pm Ethel Adams <jgwindsong...> Snowy Owl, Sundance, wy..
2/2/18 8:46 am Janet Anderson-Ray <janders03m...> Greater White Fronted Geese
2/1/18 3:40 pm Barb GORGES <bgorges4...> Cheyenne Audubon Feb. 20 raptor program and Feb. 24 Wyo. Hereford Ranch field trip
1/27/18 3:21 pm Cody Porter <empidonaxdvg...> Northern Goshawk — Pole Mountain, Albany Co.
1/26/18 1:55 pm Donald Jones <dwilbertjones...> Bohemian Waxwings at Pole Mountain, Albany Co

Back to top
Date: 2/21/18 4:40 pm
From: Alice Flyr <aflyr...>
Subject: Hungry Rosy-Finches, Park County, WY
Correction on that amount of sunflower seed in my previous email. Those are
40 lb. bags my husband has been buying, not 20 lb. So that's around 250
lbs. this winter that the Rosies have gone through. I think I have them
trained.

Alice Flyr

15 miles SW of Cody

Back to top
Date: 2/21/18 1:43 pm
From: Alice Flyr <aflyr...>
Subject: Rosy-Finches, Park County, WY
I also have a flock of 200-300 Rosy-Finches which show up faithfully with
every snowstorm. They are mostly Black Rosy-Finches, with maybe 10% of them
Gray-Crowned. There must be some hybrids in there too but they are such
active birds it's hard to tell. They've gone through over 100 pounds of
sunflower seeds this winter.

Alice Flyr

15 miles SW of Cody

Back to top
Date: 2/21/18 10:03 am
From: Jeanene Esterholt <ridinginthewinds...>
Subject:
They are all at my house. I have approx. 2 to 300 Gray-crowned Rosy
Finches for the past two days. They come and eat, then the deer come and
clean up the left overs, the birds fly then come back to start the cycle
all over.

Jeanene Esterholt
Pinedale, Wy

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 9:45 AM, Hustace Scott <hustace...> wrote:

> I just saw one Gray-crowned Rosy Finch at my feeder. I counted my feeder
> for the Great Backyard Bird Count, and looked for one very carefully
> without any success.
>
> Stacey Scott
> SW of Casper

Back to top

Date: 2/18/18 5:40 am
From: Hustace Scott <hustace...>
Subject:
I had planned a bird trip to Jackson Canyon to see the eagles on Monday,
Feb 19. They are predicting snow, a high of +3 and north winds of 10-20
mph. That does not sound like fun, so I am going to postpone the trip to
Saturday, Feb 24. We will meet at the turnout on Wyo 220 that is just
opposite the turnoff for Goose Egg Road at 3:30 PM. The walk up to the
roost is about 2 miles and gains 500 feet in elevation. so bring lots of
layers. We should come down in the dark, so bring a light. Any questions,
please call me at 262-0055 or email me.

Stacey Scott
SW of Casper

Back to top
Date: 2/17/18 4:32 pm
From: Raymond M. Soff Jr. <clarksnutcracker...>
Subject: thank you for answering question - Old Laramie River Road - from October 2017
Hi,

Thank you to all who answered a question I had about Old Laramie River Road in October 2017 - about the road conditions during the second week of April.

I decided not to take the trip in April, mainly because I travel by myself, which is a little daunting.

My first and last time, there, was in July 2011, with a friend, on a cross-country trip. At one point, we saw two large birds in the grassland, about 50 feet from the road, as we drove toward a large area of wetland. One bird was white, and they quickly flew from the ground, my friend quickly opened the car door. My friend said that the white bird was an albino Prairie Falcon, but I sometimes wonder if it could have been a Gyrfalcon, if we got a better look. Maybe I was being too unrealistic.

My other two visits to Laramie and the Snowy Mountains was by myself in August 2003, and with a friend in July 2007. Even though I don't live in the West, I hope the habitat does not disappear to development. The sagebrush (with various species of sagebrush) at that elevation, along with high elevation prairie, and the Snowy Mountains nearby are so unique (along with the McCown's Longspur, Chestnut-sided Longspur, and Mountain Plover).

Thank you, again.

Sincerely,

Ray Soff

Saddle Brook, NJ

Back to top
Date: 2/12/18 6:39 am
From: Donald Jones <dwilbertjones...>
Subject: Central Platte Valley, 2/12/17 - Waterfowl, Eastern Bluebird, Hybrid Chickadee
Hi all,

Yesterday, Libby Megna, Paul Dougherty, and I spent a long day birding and
exploring generally along the Platte River from Alcova Dam in Natrona
County downstream to Douglas in Converse County. Although we dipped on all
three of my "target species" (Snow Bunting, Common Redpoll, Snowy Owl) we
did manage very good diversity and numbers of waterfowl along the river,
along with a few nice surprises elsewhere.

On the river below Alcova, we had a high count of 9 Pied-billed Grebes,
along with two Western Grebes and several species of waterfowl including
Hooded Mergansers and Green-winged Teal. Although the Pinyon Jays were not
at their usual feeder outside the Alcova School, we did hear a couple of
Blue Jays. eBird checklist is at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S42698921
.

Just downstream on Grayreef Reservoir, there were almost 500 (!)
Ring-necked Ducks on the limited open water, along with more than a dozen
Ruddy Ducks, a handful of Northern Pintail and Redhead, and a single sharp
drake Canvasback. eBird checklist at
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S42698926.

Next it was on in to Bessemer Bend, where we had the continuing but
apparently unreliable Eastern Bluebirds - two males and one female. We were
also lucky enough to run into Stacey Scott, who stopped his tractor and
introduced himself when he saw our binoculars. Always a pleasure to meet a
fellow Wyobirder in the field! Checklist for this area at
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S42698930.

From there, we headed east to check the Glenrock Cemetery, where we had
good looks at an apparent hybrid Mountain X Black-capped Chickadee and were
treated to a low flyover by a gorgeous adult Ferruginous Hawk. Photos of
the chickadee in our eBird checklist at
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S42698937. We tried the Mormon Canyon
Road, but were rebuffed by a deep snow drift and had to come back down to
Glenrock.

Finally, we cruised Tank Farm Road east to Orpha and then took a swing out
east of Douglas on gravel roads, hoping for a Snowy Owl. Alas, no such
luck, although we sure did enjoy the beautiful evening light on the Hat
Creek Breaks and the wide open skies. All in all, it was a really enjoyable
day of winter birding in Wyoming!

Best,
Don Jones
Laramie, WY

Back to top
Date: 2/8/18 9:25 am
From: Gary Lefko <000003881d93609c-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Next Raptor Alley Trip
Hi all

This just over border in Nunn, Colorado ... Sat. Feb 17th details here - http://coloradobirder.club/m/events/view/Raptor-Alley-Driving-Tour

Thanks Gary Lefko, Nunn
http://coloradobirder.club/

Back to top
Date: 2/3/18 5:16 pm
From: Ethel Adams <jgwindsong...>
Subject: Snowy Owl, Sundance, wy..
We found the Snowy Owl on Hwy. 116 the U[ton rd. 4 miles South of
Sundance. It was on a pole to the East just past the Mason Rd on the West
side of the Hwy. It was a little distance in from the Hwy, but clearly
visual. The Sundance Times paper has a really nice picture of the bird on
a pole next to the Hwy.. We had a great sighting and watched it preening
for a while. Time was 11 to 12 in the morning. Jean, Sundance

Back to top
Date: 2/2/18 8:46 am
From: Janet Anderson-Ray <janders03m...>
Subject: Greater White Fronted Geese
A group of four greater white fronted geese was seen in among the many Canada Geese in the small area of open water on Sloan's Lake in Lion's Park this morning.

Janet Anderson

Cheyenne

Back to top
Date: 2/1/18 3:40 pm
From: Barb GORGES <bgorges4...>
Subject: Cheyenne Audubon Feb. 20 raptor program and Feb. 24 Wyo. Hereford Ranch field trip
Dear Wyobirders,
You are invited to join us in Cheyenne for both our Feb. 20 program on nesting raptors and Feb. 24 field trip to the Wyoming Hereford Ranch. See below for details.
Thanks,
Barb Gorges, Cheyenne - High Plains Audubon Society

Cheyenne Audubon's Feb. 20 free program features nesting peregrine falcon and ferruginous hawk research
Cheyenne - High Plains Audubon Society members invite the public for a talk on stressors on nesting raptors and what they mean in Wyoming. The talk is Feb. 20 at 7 p.m. in the Cottonwood Room of the Laramie County Library, 2200 Pioneer Ave. It's free and open to the public.
Speaker Cameron Nordell, University of Wyoming, studied ferruginous hawks breeding on the Canadian prairies and peregrine falcons in sub-arctic Canada. He looked at how anthropogenic (manmade) and environmental stressors affected nesting raptors.
See the chapter's February newsletter posted at https://cheyenneaudubon.wordpress.com<https://cheyenneaudubon.wordpress.com/> for details or contact Mark, 307-634-0463, <mgorges...><mailto:<mgorges...>.
xxx
Cheyenne Audubon plans birdwatching field trip Feb. 24 to Wyoming Hereford Ranch
Cheyenne - High Plains Audubon Society members plan a birdwatching field trip Feb. 24 to the Wyoming Hereford Ranch on the east side of Cheyenne. The ranch is a state Important Bird Area. The group will walk the trails looking for winter birds and early migrants.
People with all levels of birding expertise are welcome. The trip is free and the public is invited.
Participants will leave from the Lions Park Children's Village parking lot at 8 a.m. Carpooling may be available. Expect to return about 10 a.m., or anytime if you provide your own transportation.
Please contact George Cardon for more information, 307-634-5269, and to be on the list of participants to be notified of any change in plans due to weather.

Date: 1/27/18 3:21 pm
From: Cody Porter <empidonaxdvg...>
Subject: Northern Goshawk — Pole Mountain, Albany Co.
All,

Jimena Golcher-Benavides, Paul Dougherty, and I followed up on Don’s post from yesterday in hopes of stumbling across a waxwing flock. No luck there, but we were treated to a stunning adult Northern Goshawk barreling through lodgepole pine forest near the intersection of the Hooch Trail and Old Happy Jack Rd.

Good birding,
Cody Porter

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 1/26/18 1:55 pm
From: Donald Jones <dwilbertjones...>
Subject: Bohemian Waxwings at Pole Mountain, Albany Co
Hi all,

I spent several hours skiing and hiking around the northeast end of the
Pole Mountain area off of Highway 210 between Laramie and Cheyenne this
morning. Although I was unsuccessful in locating my target species,
Northern Pygmy-Owl, which was discovered in this area two years ago, a
large flyover flock of ~120 Bohemian Waxwings was a nice consolation prize.
I had one BOWA with a small flock of Cedars here in town back in early
winter, but since then they have been scarce in this part of the state.

My eBird checklist from the morning is at
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S42252485.

Don Jones
Laramie, WY

Join us on Facebook!