WYOBIRDS
Received From Subject
11/21/17 2:00 pm Donald Jones <dwilbertjones...> Pacific Loon, Lesser Black-backed Gull - Lake Hattie, 11/21
11/21/17 10:04 am Dave Mead <0000035082ac4fbf-dmarc-request...> Green River Blue Jays
11/20/17 12:51 pm Kendra David <000004ea7a81524d-dmarc-request...> CSU Field Ornithologist Club Fundraiser
11/20/17 10:05 am Todd Jensen <gyrfalcon...> Lesser black back gull
11/18/17 2:22 pm Donald Jones <dwilbertjones...> White-throated Sparrow and Lapland Longspurs - Laramie
11/15/17 8:03 pm debbie wagner <dwagner...> Late posting
11/15/17 11:23 am Donald Jones <dwilbertjones...> Hutton Lake NWR: White-winged Scoters, Long-tailed Duck, other goodies
11/14/17 7:18 am Harry <harry...> Northern Flicker
11/13/17 2:26 pm Barb GORGES <bgorges4...> Submit comments about Wyoming Greater Sage-Grouse conservation plan by Nov. 27
11/13/17 1:49 pm Bob & Suzanne Hargis <bhargis...> Fwd: eBird Report - 5077 Riverview Rd. Riverton,,WY, Nov 12, 2017
11/13/17 10:50 am Cody Porter <empidonaxdvg...> White-winged Crossbill-- Laramie
11/12/17 11:43 am Donald Jones <dwilbertjones...> Re: Laramie—Black Scoter
11/11/17 8:39 pm Todd Jensen <gyrfalcon...> Keyhole reservoir
11/11/17 9:23 am Libby Megna <lcmegna...> Laramie—Black Scoter
11/11/17 8:45 am Bob & Suzanne Hargis <bhargis...> Fwd: eBird Report - 5077 Riverview Rd. Riverton,,WY, Nov 10, 2017
11/11/17 8:44 am Zachariah Hutchinson <zachsbirdnerds...> Scorer Sweep!
11/11/17 7:57 am Libby Megna <lcmegna...> Laramie—Long-tailed Duck
11/10/17 2:35 pm Zachariah Hutchinson <zachsbirdnerds...> Sweet Birding in Natrona County
11/9/17 10:12 am Zachariah Hutchinson <zachsbirdnerds...> Birds in Natrona County
11/7/17 8:11 am Donald Jones <dwilbertjones...> Bohemian Waxwing and Common Grackle in Laramie
11/6/17 8:51 am Ann Hines <annhines12...> scoter
11/6/17 7:47 am Elizabeth Boehm <eboehmphoto...> Bohemian Waxwings
11/5/17 7:27 pm Todd Jensen <gyrfalcon...> Keyhole reservoir and south along US 85
11/5/17 10:26 am Chris Michelson <0000001af3511208-dmarc-request...> migrant waterfowl
11/5/17 6:51 am dt <000000605737ba0c-dmarc-request...> Snow geese and yard birds in Laramie
11/4/17 4:57 pm Todd Jensen <gyrfalcon...> lake desmet
11/3/17 3:28 pm Barb GORGES <bgorges4...> Cheyenne Audubon Nov. 18 field trip: Colorado Front Range Lakes
11/3/17 3:26 pm Barb GORGES <bgorges4...> Cheyenne Audubon Nov. 21 program: Sage-Grouse conservation plan update
11/3/17 1:04 pm Chuck Seniawski <000000156665bc53-dmarc-request...> Cheyenne Back Yard
11/2/17 6:26 pm Jason Beason <aeronautes.saxatalis...> Bonaparte's Gulls and Horned Grebe @ JTL Gravel Ponds today
11/1/17 6:58 am Cindy Thompson <weltonbrown...> Jay
10/30/17 2:44 pm Nathaniel Behl <behlx008...> Loons, scoters, and swans oh my!
10/27/17 1:18 pm Chuck Seniawski <000000156665bc53-dmarc-request...> Cheyenne Country Club
10/26/17 4:45 pm dt <000000605737ba0c-dmarc-request...> Weather Changes in Laramie
10/26/17 10:30 am Shay Howlin <wolfhowlin...> Clark's nutcrackers
10/24/17 6:47 pm Chris Michelson <0000001af3511208-dmarc-request...> sparrows
10/23/17 7:19 pm Ellis Hein <woodturnedart...> Re: yard
10/23/17 6:08 pm Ann Hines <annhines12...> yard

Back to top
Date: 11/21/17 2:00 pm
From: Donald Jones <dwilbertjones...>
Subject: Pacific Loon, Lesser Black-backed Gull - Lake Hattie, 11/21
Hi all,

I birded the Plains Lakes west of Laramie this morning. Things were fairly
slow until I got to Lake Hattie, where the wind was calm and the water
glassy for the first time I can ever remember. I was able to find a Pacific
Loon loafing in the middle of the lake, along with an extremely distant
adult Lesser Black-backed Gull on the far shore. There were several hundred
other gulls scattered along the far shore as well, almost all too far away
to identify, so it will be worth while to make a return trip in search of
other rarities when the lake starts to ice over and the birds are
(hopefully) forced closer to the south shore.

Also nice were two flyover Common Redpolls, my first of the winter.

A super crappy digiscoped picture of the LBBG, along with field notes, is
in my eBird checklist at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40645265.

Best,
Don Jones
Laramie, WY

Back to top
Date: 11/21/17 10:04 am
From: Dave Mead <0000035082ac4fbf-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Green River Blue Jays
My wife and I had two Blue Jay sightings in Green River, WY, yesterday (11/20/17). Although the observations were across town from each other, it could have been the same bird. Either way, it's the first time that we've seen a Blue Jay here, so we're happy!

Dave MeadGreen River, WY

Back to top
Date: 11/20/17 12:51 pm
From: Kendra David <000004ea7a81524d-dmarc-request...>
Subject: CSU Field Ornithologist Club Fundraiser
Hello WyobirdersI am a Wyoming resident, currently attending Colorado State University (CSU) as a graduate student. I am a birder and a member of the CSU Field Ornithologists. We are raising funds to send members of our group to Trinidad for spring break birding. If you choose to donate there are goodies to be had, such as stickers, t-shirts and audio recordings.
Best,Kendra David
https://www.gofundme.com/CSUFOTrinidad

$25BronzeReceive a free CSUFO Sticker!$50Silver LevelReceive a free CSUFO Sticker and a free CSUFO T-Shirt designed by our very own Megan Miller!$100Gold LevelReceive a free CSUFO Sticker, a free CSUFO T-shirt, and a free copy of an Audio CD or MP3 file with nature recordings by Listening Lab Director Dr. Jacob Job!$150Platinum LevelReceive all of the gifts of the other donation levels PLUS an exclusive CD of nature recordings by Dr. Jacob Job while in Trinidad!
More than a dozen intrepid students and staff from Colorado State University have banded together for an expedition of biological discovery to the tropical island of Trinidad in mid-March of 2018, and we are asking for your help to make this possible.

Founded by undergraduates as CSU's premiere birding and avian ecology student organization in January of 2015, CSU Field Ornithologists offers undergraduates, graduate students, staff, and faculty numerous opportunities to connect with other bird enthusiasts and learn about ornithology through local and inter-state birding trips, expert seminars on recent research and conservation efforts, workshops, citizen science volunteering, and more. We have fostered a passion for birds in numerous new birders and built links between CSU and the northern Colorado birding community.
And now for the first time we are offering members of the CSU Community an incredible opportunity to experience tropical ecosystems unlike any place in Northern Colorado. Our group includes students from multiple disciplines, from freshmen to seniors, and individuals who have never had the opportunity to leave the United States. This experience will change particiants' lives, providing unique opportunities to see fabled tropical landscapes from rain-forests to savannas to Caribbean estuaries, experience Caribbean food and culture, and witness the anthropogenic influences that impact some of the most bio-diverse places on our planet.

Our initial Trinidad planning meeting--Trip Coordinator Brandon Nooner explains the proposed itinerary.

Your donation will benefit the holistic education of CSUFO's participants and facilitate the most ambitious project of one of the most passionate, earnest, and active student organizations at our university. Our expenses include approximately $700/person for round trip airfare, $1360 for lodging at Hamgel Field Station, $1600 for a week of food for all participants, and between $1000 and $2000 for transportation around the island.  This is a total cost of $1054 for each of 14 participants, or $14,760 for the whole group.

Participants will contribute significantly, however the trip is only feasible with the generous donations of friends, family, and supporters of CSU Field Ornithologists' efforts to build a new generation of young Colorado birders. If each of our 14 participants found ten good friends or family members who donated $50, we could meet our $7000 goal and fund 50% of everyone's costs!

Donation Levels:
$25 -- Bronze Level: Receive a free CSUFO Sticker!
$50 -- Silver Level: Receive a free CSUFO Sticker and T-Shirt!
$100 -- Gold Level: Receive the CSUFO Sticker, T-Shirt, and a a free copy of CSU Listening Lab Director Jacob Job's Audio CD of Serene Soundscapes from across the Western US and a CSUFO Sticker!
$150 -- Platinum Level: Receive all of the above gifts, plus a specially prepared Audio CD of recordings by Jacob Job while in Trinidad!
https://www.gofundme.com/CSUFOTrinidad
Look to the bottom of this page for an in-depth description of the soundscapes audio files offered by Dr. Jacob Job!

Dr. Jacob Job, director of CSU's Listening Lab. See below for a description of the audio files he is offerring as a gift for Gold and Platinum Level Donors!

We are working hard to fundraise in other ways as well:
1. We are working as parking management at CSU football homegames. We have already invested 101 total hours, earning $1010.
2. We are working for Ramride, a CSU service that provides students safe rides home from late nights out. We will gain at least $500 from this effort.

Further Information about this fundraiser and this group:

Colorado State University Field Ornithologists is a registered student organization through the Registered Student Organization Office of Student Leadership, Involvement, and Community Engagement (SLiCE) at Colorado State University. We are entirely student run and directed, and all funds from this fundraising effort go into a secure club bank account.

We are working with our advisor, Dr. Cameron Ghalambor, to ensure the highest quality and most educationally enriching experience for participants. We are working with CSU's Office of International Programs to ensure participants are safe and medically insured during the entire trip.

Our student organization strives to provide a unique public service to members of the CSU community. Each semester we host up to three guest speakers on campus. Guest speakers are experts from the fields of ornithology, conservation, and ecology. Seminars provide CSU students irreplaceable opportunities to meet and learn from the leaders in avian ecology and conservation. Past speakers have included Brad Andres (National Coordinator of the US Shorebird Conservation Plan), Scott Rashid(Directer and Founder of Colorado Avian Research and Rehabilitation Institute CARRI), Eva Mathews (Program Manager at Hog Island, National Audubon Society's Seabird Restoration Program), Christian Hagenlocher (2016 ABA Big Year Record-Breaking Birder), Scientists at Bird Conservancy of the Rockies such as Luke Georgeand Jenny Berven, local community experts such as Dave Leatherman, Ted Floyd and Bill Schmocker, and faculty and researchers at CSU such as Cameron Ghalambor, Liba Pejchar, Chris Kozakiewicz, Maybelline Gamboa, and Andrew Bankert.

Our organization's birding trips are advertised widely to the campus community, and new birders are encouraged and mentored. We offer trips from local half-day outings around Fort Collins and the northern Front Range to multi-day inter-state journeys at bargain prices so all students can participate regardless of their financial situation. Through our organization, numerous freshmen and international students have gained novel perspectives on the landscape outside of Fort Collins, allowing them to better appreciate the natural heritage of their new home. The benefit of providing free wheels to those without their own vehicles cannot be understated.

Our organization is highly adept at organizing large trips. We led a group to the Central Valley of Nebraska to see Sandhill Cranes and Greater Prairie Chickens. We led a group to Bosque del Apache NWR and Bandelier National Monument in New Mexico. We led a group to numerous national parks between California and Utah on an eight day camping excursion. We worked hard to fund-raise so all these trips could be offered at under $100 for each participant. We have held bake sales, run birdathon competitions, and sold immense quantities of used furniture to make these things happen.

Our group collaborates with organizations from around Northern Colorado to enhance the connection between CSU and the local community. We have collaborated with Colorado Birders' Gary Lefko on multiple educational Raptor Identification Trips, Bird Conservancy's Meredith McBurney on multiple educational trips to learn about bird banding research, and curators Garth Spellman and Jeff Stephenson at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science on two educational tours of the museum ornithology collections and specimen preparation facilities. For two years in a row we brought CSU students together with birders from Denver Field Ornithologists to search for Boreal Owls on Cameron Pass.  We have collaborated with faculty in the CSU Art Department to organize a very popular bird sketching workshop for dozens of CSU students. We are currently working on establishing collaboration with Fort Collins Audubon on community bird education projects. For two years we have been running a student-powered survey of window-strike killed birds around CSU's campus, which may soon inform a new policy in Associated Students of CSU (elected student government) to reduce bird strikes at especially dangerous windows on campus.

Beginning in January of 2017, CSUFO began organizing volunteers for citizen science projects in the community. We have facilitated several students, faculty, and Fort Collins community members to become involved in Raptor Monitoring at Lory State Park for Colorado Parks and Wildlife. We organized ten students to volunteer for Bird Conservancy of the Rockies' Eastern Screech Owl Monitoring along the Poudre River. We also organized volunteers to help with the Bird Conservancy's Christmas Bird Count for Kids at Barr Lake in 2017! In total, CSUFO volunteers have contributed more than 250 hours to these efforts.

Audio CD Offerred by Dr. Jacob Job for Gold Level Donations and Above:

1.     Howling Wolves in Winter—Yellowstone National Park, WY

2.     Wetland Evening Chorus in Spring—Cape Disappointment State Park, WA

3.     Snow Melt Run-off—Rocky Mountain National Park, CO

4.     Afternoon Thunderstorm in the Mountains—Rocky Mountain National Park, CO

5.     Songbirds at Dawn along the Front Range—Coyote Ridge Natural Area, Fort Collins, CO

6.     Summer Evening Campfire and Wildlife Chorus—Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, MN

7.     Howling Coyotes and Dawn Chorus—Mesa Verde National Park, CO

8.     Fall Elk Rut and Coyote—Rocky Mountain National Park, CO

Sounds of nature are relaxing and enjoyable to most everyone. Hearing the howl of a wolf, the steady flow of a mountain stream, or a chorus of birds as the world awakens can bring back memories of fond experiences and make us long for our next great adventure. However, we are not always able to escape outside as often as we like. Fortunately, this digital album of nature sounds from around the country can acoustically place you in wilderness just by slipping on a pair of headphones and hitting the ‘play’ button.

This series of nature recordings will take you on a year-long acoustical adventure around the country through some of the United States’ most treasured protected lands. You’ll start by listening to howling wolves in Yellowstone National Park in January before moving up to the Pacific Northwest in April, where you’ll get to hear the sounds of eagles, owls, frogs, and songbirds come together to form an evening chorus like you’ve never experienced! Next you’ll travel to Rocky Mountain National Park in June to listen to the sound of fresh snow melt running through a mountain stream, as well as a slowly moving thunderstorm echoing through the mountains. As summer gets into full swing, you’ll wake up with songbirds along the Front Range of Colorado and go to sleep with the sounds of a campfire accompanied by a chorus of insects, frogs, owls, loons, beavers, and a different group of songbirds from the Boundary Water Canoe Area Wilderness of northern Minnesota. Finally, you’ll move to Mesa Verde National Park in late summer, listening to a pair of coyotes howl through the night and into the morning where they are joined by a chorus of songbirds, before traveling back to and ending in Rocky Mountain National Park during the fall, listening to the sounds of the elk rut going full force right near the microphones, with bulls chasing cows, bugling, and fighting with each other, all the while joined by a calling coyote!

This series of recordings will be accompanied by a short write up for each track, including information about the time of year, location, species present, and a short description of the area and event. Audio can delivered via a digital download, a series of CDs, or both. As with all nature recordings, these are best enjoyed by wearing headphones or by sitting within a stereo arrangement of speakers.

https://www.gofundme.com/CSUFOTrinidad

Links in the message (1)

| | |
Click here to support CSUFO Journey to ...

Back to top
Date: 11/20/17 10:05 am
From: Todd Jensen <gyrfalcon...>
Subject: Lesser black back gull
The 1st year lesser black-backed gull was stillat lake desmet Sunday.

Back to top
Date: 11/18/17 2:22 pm
From: Donald Jones <dwilbertjones...>
Subject: White-throated Sparrow and Lapland Longspurs - Laramie
Hi all,

Along with a skiff of fresh snow at my parents house in Laramie this
morning, we had a brief visit from a White-throated Sparrow - a first for
the yard. Photo in my eBird checklist at
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40571799. Later in the morning, my
sister and I tried to bird Hutton Lake but were repelled by the 45mph wind
and accompanying ground blizzard. A flock of 9 Lapland Longspurs along the
Sand Creek Road were a nice consolation prize, though.

Best,
Don Jones
Laramie, WY

Back to top
Date: 11/15/17 8:03 pm
From: debbie wagner <dwagner...>
Subject: Late posting
Dear Birders,
Sorry for the late posting. Bob Hargis, Wanda Major, Sharon Orange and I went birding yesterday at the Goose Ponds on the Reservation, to Ocean Lake and at Bob's house.We got to see a duck we didn't expect to see. It was a nice surprise. Bob got some good pictures of it. We saw:

Canada geese
Common goldeneye
Coots
Canvasback
Red tailed hawk
Kestrel
Ravens
Starlings (doing their flock flying)
Rough legged hawk (at least 10 or more)
Horned lark
Pied billed grebe
Northern harrier
Green winged teal
American wigeion
Mallards
Tundra Swans ( about 38)
Trumpeter swans (about 8)
Lesser scaup
Gadwall
Long tailed duck (one we didin"t expect to see. Bob got good pictures of him)
Cinnamon teal
Ring necked duck
Ruddy duck
Bufflehead
Pigeons
Golden eagle
Crows
Ring billed gull
Horned grebe
Red breasted merganser
Flicker
Eurasian collared dove
Red winged blackbird (female)
Magpie
Blue jay
Northern shrike (trying to get some sparrows)
House sparrow
House finch
Black capped chickadee
Hairy woodpecker
And one questionable duck. It looked like a cross between a shoveler and a cinnamon teal

Good birding to all
Bob Hargis, Wanda Major, Sharon Orange, and Debbie Wagner
Riverton

Back to top
Date: 11/15/17 11:23 am
From: Donald Jones <dwilbertjones...>
Subject: Hutton Lake NWR: White-winged Scoters, Long-tailed Duck, other goodies
Hi all,

I spent several enjoyable hours this unseasonably warm, calm November
morning birding Hutton Lake NWR southwest of Laramie. The entrance gate is
closed and locked (I assume for the winter?), so one has to walk a couple
of miles to thoroughly cover the refuge, but there are good birds out there
if you don't mind the exercise!

I had a single Long-tailed Duck and two White-winged Scoters on Hutton Lake
proper, along with a flock of 19 Tundra Swans consisting of six immatures
and 13 adults. Perhaps even more surprising than the unusual waterfowl,
however, was a single Black-bellied Plover apparently finding something to
feed on along the shoreline! After consulting *Birds of Wyoming *and eBird,
this looks like the latest record for the state by almost a week.

Also encouraging to see were several flyover flocks of "ground birds,"
including a Lapland Longspur, several Snow Buntings, and a couple dozen
Gray-crowned Rosy Finches.

I will attach photos to my eBird checklist when media functionality is
restored following eBird's recent outage:
https://ebird.org/admin/viewFilter.htm?checklistID=CL28228.

Best,
Don Jones
Laramie, WY

Back to top
Date: 11/14/17 7:18 am
From: Harry <harry...>
Subject: Northern Flicker
Awoke to a Northern Flicker patrolling around my house this morning.
Right next to the windows for a excellent close-up view.

Harry
Bates Creek at 220/487
Casper, WY

Back to top
Date: 11/13/17 2:26 pm
From: Barb GORGES <bgorges4...>
Subject: Submit comments about Wyoming Greater Sage-Grouse conservation plan by Nov. 27
Dear Wyobirders,
My latest Bird Banter column, published Nov. 12 in the Wyoming Tribune Eagle, is about the threat to the Wyoming Greater Sage-Grouse Conservation Plan. It covers some of the details, resources for more information, and exactly how you can submit a comment to BLM. Comments are due by Nov. 27. Feel free to forward this information to everyone who cares about sage-grouse.
Thanks,
Barb Gorges
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Published Nov. 12, 2017, in the Wyoming Tribune Eagle:
"Wyoming's Greater Sage-Grouse conservation plan is in jeopardy"
By Barb Gorges
Wyoming successfully addressed the sage-grouse issue through a collaboration of state and local government, sportsmen, conservationists, the oil and gas industry, and agricultural interests.
Over six years, the state was able to draw up a plan to establish protected core areas of habitat. Good habitat is the best protection for this species, which has declined 30 percent across the west since 1985.
The plan leaves a large majority of Wyoming open to oil and gas and other development.
In 2015, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service said state plans across the west were good enough that it wouldn't start proceedings to list the sage-grouse as threatened or endangered.
Here in Wyoming, the Sage-Grouse Implementation Team, headed by Bob Budd, is working hard. The team represents all the previous collaborators.
However, the new federal administration is intent on dismantling anything that happened under the previous president. It tasked new U.S. Department of Interior secretary Ryan Zinke with reviewing all state sage-grouse plans to either toss them or amend them.
None of the collaborators on Wyoming's plan are happy with this-including the oil and gas people who desire certainty for their business plans. Wyoming Governor Matt Mead is not happy either.
I went to the Bureau of Land Management's public meeting Nov. 6 in Cheyenne to find out more about the proposed amendments to Wyoming's plan.
I heard these criticisms:
--Switching to using sage-grouse population numbers to determine an oil and gas producer's ability to drill and plan for mitigation (more sage-grouse, more leniency) would leave companies with a lot of unwanted uncertainty. Sage-grouse numbers vary enormously from year to year due to weather and other natural effects.
--Basing conservation plans on sage-grouse population numbers rather than habitat would discount the 350-plus other species that depend on the sagebrush ecosystem, including 22 "species of conservation concern."
--Messing around with the plan could cause U.S. Fish and Wildlife to decide the sage-grouse warrants listing after all. That would close much more land to oil and gas drilling, as well as coal mining and other mineral extraction.
--The current Republican administration thinks states should have more say in issues like this, and the six years of collaboration Wyoming went through is a perfect example of how it can happen. Ironically, it's the Republicans in Washington who now decree they know what is best for us.
--Wyoming's conservation plan has been in effect for only two years-not enough time to gauge success. Instituting major changes now would cost a lot of taxpayer money that could be better spent in the field.
BLM invites us to comment during their scoping process. They want to know if we think they should amend the management plans that were developed by the states to protect sage-grouse.
They don't make it easy, says my husband, a retired BLM wildlife biologist.
Go to http://bit.ly/GRSGplanning (case-sensitive). Click on "Documents and Reports." This will give you a list of documents. Only "GRSG Notice of Intent" is available for commenting. "GRSG" is ornithological shorthand using initial letters of the parts of the bird's common name.
After you read the document, click on "Comment on Document." You'll have to fill in the title of the document you are commenting on: "GRSG Notice of Intent." And then you have 60 minutes to finish the procedure or everything you've written disappears. You may want to compose your comments elsewhere and then paste them in.
The deadline for comments is either Nov. 27 or Nov. 30-there's a discrepancy in BLM's handouts from the public meeting. Go with the earlier date if you can.
To educate yourself before commenting, you can visit the Wyoming State BLM office in Cheyenne, 5353 Yellowstone Road, or contact Erica Husse, 307-775-6318, <ehusse...><mailto:<ehusse...>, or Emmet Pruss, 307-775-6266, <epruss...><mailto:<epruss...>.
But if you are most interested in what is best for sage-grouse, it may be easier to jump to the analysis provided by conservation groups like the National Audubon Society, www.audubon.org/sage-grouse<https://nam03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flonetree.us8.list-manage.com%2Ftrack%2Fclick%3Fu%3Dbadc6a2cbafa66e1bf1a64290%26id%3D295658f04e%26e%3D1edffabe9c&data=02%7C01%<7Cbgorges4...>%7Caf1fbf471de24460d82b08d5245de002%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636454907957130423&sdata=1CA02qYINJns7LzJVn5pURP6WOtQMfFJcJdFMoH4JHc%3D&reserved=0>. The former Audubon Wyoming executive director Brian Rutledge was instrumental in the Wyoming collaboration and is still involved as NAS's director of the Sagebrush Ecosystem Initiative.
Two other interested groups are Wyoming Wildlife Federation, http://wyomingwildlife.org/, and the Wyoming Outdoor Council, https://wyomingoutdoorcouncil.org/.
All three organizations offer simple digital form letters that can be personalized, and they will send them to BLM. However, BLM says it gives more credence to comments sent via their own online form.
I hope you can take a few minutes to put in a good word for the bird that maybe should be our state mascot.
Next month I'll look at what the Wyoming State Legislature did last session that may also negatively affect sage-grouse.

xxx

Back to top
Date: 11/13/17 1:49 pm
From: Bob & Suzanne Hargis <bhargis...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - 5077 Riverview Rd. Riverton,,WY, Nov 12, 2017
Trifectas seem to be rife of late... here we have our first Steller's jay join our visiting Pinyon jay and 4 Blue jays at black oil sunflower seeds
Bob and Suzanne Hargis
West of Riverton on Wind River

Back to top
Date: 11/13/17 10:50 am
From: Cody Porter <empidonaxdvg...>
Subject: White-winged Crossbill-- Laramie
All,

After enjoying some delicious Costa Rican turnovers (available at the UW student union until 1:00 pm today) I was treated to a brief sighting of a White-winged Crossbill calling from a spruce outside the Engineering Building.

Good birding,
Cody Porter

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 11/12/17 11:43 am
From: Donald Jones <dwilbertjones...>
Subject: Re: Laramie—Black Scoter
Hi all,

The single Black Scoter and three White-winged Scoters continued on Lake
Hattie this morning. George and I had fairly close looks at both from the
main parking lot and the dam at the east end of the reservoir. No sign of
the Long-tailed Duck on Twin Buttes Reservoir, although it was quite windy
by the time we got there and we didn't go out to the western parking lot to
scan from there. A big thank you to Cody and Libby for finding these birds
and reporting them for others to see!

Best,
Don Jones
Laramie, WY

On Sat, Nov 11, 2017 at 10:22 AM, Libby Megna <lcmegna...> wrote:

> Sorry this got bounced because I tried to attach a photo. BLACK SCOTER and
> white-winged scoter at Lake Hattie earlier this morning.
>
> Libby
>

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> > From: Libby Megna <lcmegna...>
> > Date: November 11, 2017 at 09:17:55 MST
> > To: <WYOBIRDS...>
> > Subject: Laramie—Black Scoter
> >
> > There is a Black Scoter and White-winged Scoters at the east end of Lake
> Hattie. Also found by Cody Porter. Photo attached.
> >

> > Libby
> > Laramie, Albany Co.

Back to top
Date: 11/11/17 8:39 pm
From: Todd Jensen <gyrfalcon...>
Subject: Keyhole reservoir
Birdied keyhole reservoir today. West end is beginning to freeze over. On east side observe a common and a pacific loon present. Bonaparte gulls and ring-billed gulls observes. Waterfowl numbers way Dow.

Back to top
Date: 11/11/17 9:23 am
From: Libby Megna <lcmegna...>
Subject: Laramie—Black Scoter
Sorry this got bounced because I tried to attach a photo. BLACK SCOTER and white-winged scoter at Lake Hattie earlier this morning.

Libby

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Libby Megna <lcmegna...>
> Date: November 11, 2017 at 09:17:55 MST
> To: <WYOBIRDS...>
> Subject: Laramie—Black Scoter
>
> There is a Black Scoter and White-winged Scoters at the east end of Lake Hattie. Also found by Cody Porter. Photo attached.
>

> Libby
> Laramie, Albany Co.

Back to top
Date: 11/11/17 8:45 am
From: Bob & Suzanne Hargis <bhargis...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - 5077 Riverview Rd. Riverton,,WY, Nov 10, 2017

Back to top
Date: 11/11/17 8:44 am
From: Zachariah Hutchinson <zachsbirdnerds...>
Subject: Scorer Sweep!
All three scoters are currently at Grey Reef in Natrona County. Pictures
will be available on eBird.

It’s a full scoter schooner!

--
Zach Hutchinson, Master Bander
Flockingaround.com

Murie Audubon Society, President
Murieaudubon.org

Audubon Rockies, Community Naturalist
Rockies.audubon.org

Back to top
Date: 11/11/17 7:57 am
From: Libby Megna <lcmegna...>
Subject: Laramie—Long-tailed Duck
Hello all,

There is a Long-tailed Duck in Twin Buttes Lake, visible from the eastern parking lot. Found by Cody Porter during Laramie Audubon field trip. Photos to come in eBird list later.

Libby
Laramie, Albany Co.

Back to top
Date: 11/10/17 2:35 pm
From: Zachariah Hutchinson <zachsbirdnerds...>
Subject: Sweet Birding in Natrona County
Hey Everyone, I’ve gone almost two months without picking up my ‘nocs...
until this week. It was a good decision.

This morning at Goldeneye several great birds were bringing me great joy:

Iceland Gull (recently Thayer’s Gull was lumped into Iceland... boooo)
Ross’s Goose - 2
Snow Goose
Red-breasted Merganser - 6

Then, after the birding hotline went crazy, a group of birders showed up at
Grey Reef. I will let someone else report on the two interesting ducks
there, but I will provide a MEGA for Wyoming as I had a GLAUCOUS-WINGED
GULL flyover before the hunters began tearing up the silence above the dam.

I got two state birds today, and I will always smile big on days like that.

Date: 11/9/17 10:12 am
From: Zachariah Hutchinson <zachsbirdnerds...>
Subject: Birds in Natrona County
I haven’t been Birding in quite awhile, but yesterday Ann Hines and I had
~200-300 Cackling Geese and 35 Tundra Swans on Goldeneye. We also had a
single Red-breasted Merganser.

This morning I had 12 Red-breasted Merganser on JTL Ponds. I also had 1
Lesser Black-backed Gull.

Zach

Date: 11/7/17 8:11 am
From: Donald Jones <dwilbertjones...>
Subject: Bohemian Waxwing and Common Grackle in Laramie
Hi all,

Two birds of note this morning following the night's snow in Laramie, one
slightly late and the other just a bit early. First, there was a Common
Grackle sitting in the top of one of the big cottonwoods above the house
this morning, although it flew off without stopping for sunflower seeds at
the feeder. Then, I spotted a small flock of ten Cedar Waxwings accompanied
by a single Bohemian Waxwing. They were feeding on crabapples from the
fruit-laden tree on the corner of 22nd St. and Thornburgh Ave. Photos of
the waxwing are in my eBird checklist at
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40359557.

Happy November,
Don Jones
Laramie

Back to top
Date: 11/6/17 8:51 am
From: Ann Hines <annhines12...>
Subject: scoter
Thanks to Betty Rickman
Sarah, Tel Baird and I had 7 White-wing Scoters at Goldeneye yesterday.
There were LOTS of Coots. Also the Tundra Swans that Chris reported along
with a wide variety of ducks.
Ann in Casper

Back to top
Date: 11/6/17 7:47 am
From: Elizabeth Boehm <eboehmphoto...>
Subject: Bohemian Waxwings
I was just out walking my dog at the Fremont Lake Campground in Pinedale and had several flocks (probably around 200 birds)
of Bohemian Waxwings. Also had a small flock of Snow Geese fly over earlier in the week and noticed a flock of ap. 50 Rosy Finches.

Back to top
Date: 11/5/17 7:27 pm
From: Todd Jensen <gyrfalcon...>
Subject: Keyhole reservoir and south along US 85
Border keyhole reservoir today some large flocks of waterfowl. out on west side as well as some hunter . East side water fowl present now as numerous.
5000 snow geese between on reservoir and migrating flocks. As well as 2 Ross’s geese. Common loon present , horned grebe, canvasback, 77 hooded mergansers, red-breasted merganser, Bonaparte gulls, and a herring gull. To name a few on keyhole. Along us 85 between Newcastle and mule junction on a reservoir large number of waterfowl had stopped over, for its size. Notable were 37 hooded mergansers, 5 cackling geese, 2 northern pintails and 15 greater white fronted geese.

Back to top
Date: 11/5/17 10:26 am
From: Chris Michelson <0000001af3511208-dmarc-request...>
Subject: migrant waterfowl
Greetings birders
The weather did bring in some migrant waterfowl. At Goldeneye reservoir
there was a small group of tundra swans at the far east end.
At the two JTL ponds there were all three species of merganser, one
common loon, one common goldeneye, northern shovelers, lesser scaup, ruddy
ducks, bufflehead, reheads, ring-necked ducks and eared, horned and western
grebes. The gull flock included a couple of herring gulls. Good birding to
all.
Chris Michelson
Casper, WY

Back to top
Date: 11/5/17 6:51 am
From: dt <000000605737ba0c-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Snow geese and yard birds in Laramie
Good morning all,Had a skein of over 300 snow geese fly over my house in Laramie this morning at 6.  Also still have the two white-breasted nuthatches at my feeders, as well as red-breasted nuthatches, lots of pine siskins, house finches, mountain chickadees, American goldfinches, dark-eyed juncos, and a northern flicker.  Also, of course, the ubiquitous house sparrows and Eurasian collared doves.  A small flock of American robins moved through the yard this morning as well, noisily searching for the few ash and Russian hawthorne berries left on the trees, and I heard a small flock of cedar waxwings fly over.
Good birding to all,Diane T in Laramie

Back to top
Date: 11/4/17 4:57 pm
From: Todd Jensen <gyrfalcon...>
Subject: lake desmet
Stop by Lake DESmet briefly, snowing there. Observed Surf Scoter, common loon and 2 pacific loons.

Back to top
Date: 11/3/17 3:28 pm
From: Barb GORGES <bgorges4...>
Subject: Cheyenne Audubon Nov. 18 field trip: Colorado Front Range Lakes
Contact: Barb Gorges, 307-634-0463
Cheyenne - High Plains Audubon Society

For immediate release, Nov. 3, 2017

Cheyenne Audubon plans birdwatching field trip Nov. 18 to Colorado Front Range lakes
Cheyenne - High Plains Audubon Society members plan a birdwatching field trip Nov. 18 to Colorado's Front Range lakes, from Wellington to Windsor, to look for waterfowl. People with all levels of birding expertise are welcome. The trip is free and the public is invited.
Participants will leave from the Lions Park Children's Village parking lot at 8 a.m. Carpooling may be available. Expect to return to Cheyenne about 1 p.m.
Please contact Mark for more information, 307-287-4953, and to be on the list of participants to be notified of any change in plans due to weather.
See the chapter's November newsletter posted at https://cheyenneaudubon.wordpress.com<https://cheyenneaudubon.wordpress.com/>.
xxx

Back to top
Date: 11/3/17 3:26 pm
From: Barb GORGES <bgorges4...>
Subject: Cheyenne Audubon Nov. 21 program: Sage-Grouse conservation plan update
Dear Wyobirders,
If you are like me, every conservation group you belong to has sent you pleas to speak up for the Greater Sage-Grouse conservation plan. After years of collaboration, conservationists, ranchers, agencies and the oil and gas industry came up with a plan that keeps the birds from being listed, yet allows for those other land uses. But the current Federal administration wants to take it all apart. Wyoming Governor Mead and the plan's collaborators are against that.
Below are important dates, sources of background information and how you can speak up on behalf of sage-grouse.
Thanks,
Barb Gorges
Cheyenne
Dates:
Nov. 6, 4-7 p.m. - BLM public meeting at Little America, Cheyenne. This may be a drop-in-anytime type meeting, or it may not. Come at 4 p.m. if you can. To be most effective, contact Daly Edmunds, director of policy and outreach for Audubon Rockies, <dedmunds...><mailto:<dedmunds...>, for more information, or the sage-grouse person at your favorite conservation organization.
Nov. 21, 7 p.m. - Cheyenne Audubon program: Sage-Grouse update with Daly Edmunds, Cottonwood Room, Laramie County Library, 2200 Pioneer Ave., Cheyenne.
Nov. 27 - Deadline for submitting written or online comments on the Administration's proposed changes to the Sage-Grouse plan. Audubon has a convenient Action Alert form that you can add comments to or edit the form letter (I hope the Wyobirds software doesn't double the address this time!): https://act.audubon.org/onlineactions/NnQlMtf6ok2gj0ouSjv1gw2?ms=policy-adv-web-website_na s-topmenubar-<https://lonetree.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=badc6a2cbafa66e1bf1a64290&id=13967310ca&e=5ea919d50c>20171018_sagegrouse_alert<https://lonetree.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=badc6a2cbafa66e1bf1a64290&id=13967310ca&e=5ea919d50c> .
Resources Daly recommends:
National Audubon Society has updated its sage-grouse WEB page; please check it out and feel free to reference it as needed: www.audubon.org/sage-grouse<https://lonetree.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=badc6a2cbafa66e1bf1a64290&id=39ef718f71&e=5ea919d50c>.
We have a short (<1.5 min) VIDEO that talks about the sagebrush ecosystem. We partnered with Cornell Lab of Ornithology, using a lot of their amazing footage from The Sagebrush Sea (can see the full nature documentary http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/sagebrush-sea-full-episode/12341/<https://lonetree.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=badc6a2cbafa66e1bf1a64290&id=6879d96aea&e=5ea919d50c>) to help illustrate why this is an American Treasure to wildlife & people. Please feel free to share this short video far and wide!!! You can access it here and download it (and make it part of your website or social media!): https://nationalaudubon.box.com/s/90no2xmi9kucid611zgzg317vokcvpxy<https://lonetree.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=badc6a2cbafa66e1bf1a64290&id=2761c648b6&e=5ea919d50c>.

Back to top
Date: 11/3/17 1:04 pm
From: Chuck Seniawski <000000156665bc53-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Cheyenne Back Yard
Just a few minutes ago, 9 Evening Grosbeaks in the yard. Have never had this many at once, and it's been quite a while since the last one.

For those who may not know, we are in the area just ne of Uncle Charlie's.

Chuck Seniawski
Cheyenne

Back to top
Date: 11/2/17 6:26 pm
From: Jason Beason <aeronautes.saxatalis...>
Subject: Bonaparte's Gulls and Horned Grebe @ JTL Gravel Ponds today
Jason Beason
Casper - Natrona Co.

Back to top
Date: 11/1/17 6:58 am
From: Cindy Thompson <weltonbrown...>
Subject: Jay
I have a beautiful Steller’s Jay in my yard for the second day.
Cindy Thompson
Wheatland

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Back to top
Date: 10/30/17 2:44 pm
From: Nathaniel Behl <behlx008...>
Subject: Loons, scoters, and swans oh my!
Hi Everyone,
Cody Porter and I just finished a trip out to Twin Buttes and Lake Hattie
outside Laramie and among the usual assortment of diving ducks, we found 2
surf scoters, 1 white-winged scoter, and 4 Tundra Swans on Twin Butttes.
With that run of luck we headed over to Hattie where we picked out 3
Pacific Loons from the (many) commons as well! Rounding all of that out,
there were Bonaparte's gulls at both lakes and the Rough-legs have finally
shown up again - we spotted several while driving out there and back.
Things may be cooling down but at least there's still a few good birds
moving through!

Nate

Back to top
Date: 10/27/17 1:18 pm
From: Chuck Seniawski <000000156665bc53-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Cheyenne Country Club
Pretty much a routine (cold) day today, until almost the end, when a mixed flock of about 18 small birds flew across our path, landed in some pine trees next to the path and entertained us for several minutes as they foraged in the trees and on the ground -- mostly Pygmy Nuthatches, but also a couple Mountain Chickadees and Red-breasted Nuthatches. (Pygmy Nuthatches are not all that common around here, and certainly not in these numbers, so this was a wonderful treat.)

Comments: 27 degrees, light breeze.
Canada Goose 1
Cooper's Hawk 1
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 3
Northern Flicker (Red-shafted) 3
Black-billed Magpie 4
American Crow 10
Mountain Chickadee 2
Red-breasted Nuthatch 3
Pygmy Nuthatch 14
Townsend's Solitaire 1
Red-winged Blackbird 10
House Finch 4

Chuck Seniawski
Cheyenne

Back to top
Date: 10/26/17 4:45 pm
From: dt <000000605737ba0c-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Weather Changes in Laramie
 Hi all,After going from windy but pleasant days earlier this week to a chilly drizzly freeze with snow showers and smoky air from the massive landfill fire this morning, a few species indicative of the unsettled weather showed up in town, including a small black bear in an aspen tree in a yard in west Laramie, and, in my yard,  a morose-looking hunched-up common grackle, a number of dark-eyed juncos (they have been coming for several weeks now), mountain chickadees (regulars at my feeders), and a white-breasted nuthatch.  The nuthatch is the first since in 16 years at this house.  I have often had red-breasteds in the past 6 years or so, but never white-breasted.  So a nice surprise.  Of course the house finches, house sparrows, Eurasian collared doves, and crows also are out in force, looking for feeder tidbits.
Good birding to all,
Diane T in Laramie

Back to top
Date: 10/26/17 10:30 am
From: Shay Howlin <wolfhowlin...>
Subject: Clark's nutcrackers
Howdy Birders,

There's a flock of about 20 Clark's nutcrackers along 30th Street between
the soccer fields and the golf course in Laramie. First time I've seen more
than 1 it 2 in town.

Shay Howlin
Laramie, WY

Back to top
Date: 10/24/17 6:47 pm
From: Chris Michelson <0000001af3511208-dmarc-request...>
Subject: sparrows
Greetings birders
A visit to Reshaw Park in Evansville, WY this morning produced a rather
large flock of sparrows. The majority were white-crowned sparrows and
American tree sparrows. There was one Harris's sparrow and more unusual here
in central Wyoming was one fox sparrow. Check those sparrow flocks
carefully this time of year. Good birding to all.
Chris Michelson
Casper, WY

Back to top
Date: 10/23/17 7:19 pm
From: Ellis Hein <woodturnedart...>
Subject: Re: yard
Ann, our Grey Catbirds have all left some time ago. I have been seeing a Mountain Chickadee mixed in with the Black-capped Chickadees. Saturday, while working on a neighbor's roof, we saw several Vs of Sandhill Cranes flying over.

Ellis Hein, west of Casper

On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 18:08:16 -0700
from Ann Hines

--
Ellis Hein <woodturnedart...>

Back to top
Date: 10/23/17 6:08 pm
From: Ann Hines <annhines12...>
Subject: yard
We had an unbelievable late afternoon for us.

Grey Catbird
Red-breasted NH
Downy
Crow
Black-capped Chickadee
Robin
House Sparrow
House Finch
Eurasian Collared Dove
White-crown Sparrow

I don't think we have ever had a Catbird this late in the fall.
Ann in Casper

Join us on Facebook!