WYOBIRDS
Received From Subject
7/20/17 1:17 pm Deibert, Pat <pat_deibert...> Frontier Day's carnival arrival!
7/19/17 5:17 pm Susan Patla <susan_patla...> Canyon Wren in Pinedale
7/19/17 11:28 am Tom Axthelm <taxthelm...> Water Birds
7/18/17 8:41 am Ann Hines <annhines12...> Baird's
7/17/17 1:26 am Rich Weaver <popeyeweaver...> Re: Fremont County birding July 15
7/16/17 5:36 pm Chuck Seniawski <000000156665bc53-dmarc-request...> Wyoming Hereford Ranch and Reservoir 1
7/16/17 2:50 pm David McDonald <DBMcD...> Purple Martin Sierra Madres
7/16/17 8:30 am Alice Flyr <aflyr...> Fremont County birding July 15
7/15/17 9:16 pm Chuck Seniawski <000000156665bc53-dmarc-request...> King Ranch, Cheyenne
7/14/17 6:54 pm Ann Hines <annhines12...> ekw
7/14/17 6:38 pm Jennifer Hammett <jenham227...> Hummingbirds
7/13/17 2:10 pm Bob & Suzanne Hargis <bhargis...> Dickcissel and Blue Grosbeaks
7/12/17 6:39 pm rtcox <birder1...> Re: Baltimore Oriole,
7/12/17 2:50 pm David McDonald <DBMcD...> Baird's Sparrows (nr Laramie)
7/12/17 1:32 pm Ann Hines <annhines12...> Re: Baltimore Oriole,
7/12/17 8:59 am <jgwindsong...> Baltimore Oriole,
7/10/17 4:29 pm CJ Grimes <cjgrimes...> Ash-throated Flycatchers, Hot Springs County
7/10/17 2:19 pm Rich Weaver <popeyeweaver...> Beer
7/10/17 11:08 am David McDonald <DBMcD...> Flammulated Owls and Powder Rim SW species
7/9/17 9:28 pm Chuck Seniawski <000000156665bc53-dmarc-request...> Wyoming Hereford Ranch and Reservoir 1
7/9/17 5:03 pm Bruce Walgren <piranga...> Nowood BBS
7/8/17 5:43 pm Jacqueline M Hauptman <jhauptma...> Hwy 34 seasonal pond
7/8/17 2:00 pm Cody Porter <empidonaxdvg...> Laramie Range birds
7/6/17 9:19 am Cody Porter <empidonaxdvg...> Baird's Sparrows -- Laramie
7/3/17 8:24 am Pat Deibert <pat_deibert...> Take cover!!!!!!
7/2/17 11:28 am <mgorges...> <mgorges...> Hereford Reservoir #1
7/2/17 10:12 am <mgorges...> <mgorges...> Dickcissels
7/2/17 5:27 am Hustace Scott <hustace...>
6/26/17 8:57 am Cody Porter <empidonaxdvg...> Baird's Sparrow -- north of Laramie
6/26/17 3:51 am Bruce Walgren <piranga...> Bird surveys
6/21/17 5:11 pm Chuck Seniawski <000000156665bc53-dmarc-request...> Pine Bluffs Breeding Bird Survey
6/21/17 5:04 pm Chuck Seniawski <000000156665bc53-dmarc-request...> Cheyenne Breeding Bird Survey

Back to top
Date: 7/20/17 1:17 pm
From: Deibert, Pat <pat_deibert...>
Subject: Frontier Day's carnival arrival!
Hello all!

Yesterday I had an early carnival arrival - a male calliope hummingbird!
He stood his ground amongst those little red devils called rufous and even
came back for more today. This is about 2 weeks earlier than I have
previously recorded this species on its fall migration.

Red devil numbers seem to be lower this year in my unofficial unscientific
assessment. YOY Rufous have begun to show up so I expect numbers to
increase. Broad-tailed hummers are still everywhere. The ever optimistic
males are courting females, most of whom don't seem to care (probably
cursing them after pulling off one clutch). A few seem intrigued but I
think I saw one of them chuckling..

happy birding!

Pat, in the burbs of buford!

Back to top
Date: 7/19/17 5:17 pm
From: Susan Patla <susan_patla...>
Subject: Canyon Wren in Pinedale
Greetings,

I heard a Canyon Wren at the upper end of Fremont Lake today outside of Pinedale. This is a species that I rarely encounter in this area so greatly enjoyed hearing its song.

Best, Susan

Back to top
Date: 7/19/17 11:28 am
From: Tom Axthelm <taxthelm...>
Subject: Water Birds
Yesterday evening I took my sailing canoe around a group of four small
islands in Cottonwood Bay on Boysen Lake. The wind didn't cooperate so I
mostly drifted and did a little paddling. The high water in the lake this
year flooded some of the willows and cottonwood trees on the islands, which
may have improved the habitat for some of the bird species. There were
about a thousand gulls in the area, and I assumed that they nested on the
islands. There were also a lot of cormorants. I landed on one of the
islands and saw about a dozen dead gulls. The mosquitoes quickly chased me
off the island.

I saw a snowy egret sitting in a cottonwood tree, and when I paddled for a
closer look about eight or ten more of them flushed from behind some
flooded willows. Several landed in cottonwood trees. Judging by their weak
flight I think that many of them were juveniles. According to Faulkner's
book the high count in Wyoming is nine, so this was an unusually high
number.

A group of three birds about the size and shape of bitterns flew away but I
am not sure what they were. A couple of blue herons landed in the trees for
the night, and after sundown a group of eight ibis flew by. It was a
beautiful calm evening, but the mosquitoes made me pay for it when I loaded
the canoe.

Tom Axthelm

Riverton

Back to top
Date: 7/18/17 8:41 am
From: Ann Hines <annhines12...>
Subject: Baird's
We had a stellar performance of a Baird's singing on the top of the sage
brush at EKW this morning.
Ann in Casper

Back to top
Date: 7/17/17 1:26 am
From: Rich Weaver <popeyeweaver...>
Subject: Re: Fremont County birding July 15
Can we drink beer?

On Jul 16, 2017 9:30 AM, "Alice Flyr" <aflyr...> wrote:

> 4 of us from Cody made the trip to Hudson to get the Dickcissel and Blue
> Grosbeak. Life birds for all of us. Thank you Bob Hargis for your
> assistance in making this a memorable day. With Bob's recommendation we
> continued to Ocean Lake. Upon approaching the WMA we saw about 50 Sandhill
> Cranes. We were delighted when 8 juvenile Soras crossed the road. We saw
> the first one at a distance and they continued to pop out one at a time as
> we approached in the car for a closer look. They came from the deep grass
> at
> the edge of Long Point Road with irrigated fields on the sides, then ran
> nervously across and skidded to a stop at the other side before
> disappearing
> into the cattails and tall grass under a Russian Olive tree.
>
> Upon approaching the tree I could hear soft comforting sounds. Could only
> imagine they were saying "Whew, we made it". Other highlights were hearing
> the Virginia Rail and Marsh Wren. Plenty of other songs we don't know yet!
>
> Alice Flyr
>
> Cody

Back to top
Date: 7/16/17 5:36 pm
From: Chuck Seniawski <000000156665bc53-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Wyoming Hereford Ranch and Reservoir 1
Got an early start today and it paid off -- a nice Blue Grosbeak pair just as I got underway. Birds were still plentiful on WHR reservoir #1 and I found three Dickcissels still hanging around the recently-hayed fields. A new bird for me, at this location, was a Blue Jay. I have several in our neighborhood in the city, but cannot remember seeing any at WHR in the past.

47 species for the day.

On the road between the reservoir and Campstool Road (19 species):

Swainson's Hawk 2; Mourning Dove 8; American Kestrel 1; Western Kingbird 2; Northern Rough-winged Swallow 2; Tree Swallow 1; Barn Swallow 2; Cliff Swallow 17; American Robin 11; Grasshopper Sparrow 1; Lark Sparrow 3; Vesper Sparrow 7; Spotted Towhee 2; Blue Grosbeak 3 [Pair plus one male]; Dickcissel 3; Red-winged Blackbird 12; Western Meadowlark 13; Brown-headed Cowbird 2; American Goldfinch 1.

At WHR Res #1 (23 species):

Canada Goose 87; Mallard 48 [14 adults, 34 ducklings]; Western Grebe 6; Double-crested Cormorant 28; American White Pelican 11; Great Blue Heron 1; Black-crowned Night-Heron 2; Swainson's Hawk 1; American Avocet 2; Killdeer 12; Western Sandpiper 3; Wilson's Phalarope 2; Spotted Sandpiper 2; Franklin's Gull 4; Ring-billed Gull 16; Western Kingbird 5; Eastern Kingbird 1; Northern Rough-winged Swallow 100 [Birds were swarming over the reservoir and an adjacent ridge - 100 is a low estimate. Of the ones clearly seen, there were a few bank swallows, and the rest were northern rough-winged swallows. No cliff or barn swallows noted.] Bank Swallow 6; European Starling 20; Red-winged Blackbird 7; Common Grackle 3; Brown-headed Cowbird 1; American Goldfinch 1.

At WHR (25 species):

Great Blue Heron 1; Swainson's Hawk 2; Red-tailed Hawk 3; Eurasian Collared-Dove 4; Mourning Dove 11; Belted Kingfisher 1; Northern Flicker (Red-shafted) 4; Western Wood-Pewee 2; Willow Flycatcher 3; Western Kingbird 6 [Four were observed harassing two red-tailed hawks]; Eastern Kingbird 1; Blue Jay 1; Northern Rough-winged Swallow 6; Barn Swallow 29; Cliff Swallow 5; swallow sp. 60 [A mix of Barn, Cliff and Rough-winged swallows, difficult to sort them out. Many immature birds.]; House Wren 10; American Robin 18; European Starling 30; Yellow Warbler 5; Song Sparrow 1; Red-winged Blackbird 3; Common Grackle 2; House Finch 2; American Goldfinch 8; House Sparrow 11.

Chuck Seniawski
Cheyenne

Back to top
Date: 7/16/17 2:50 pm
From: David McDonald <DBMcD...>
Subject: Purple Martin Sierra Madres
WyoBirders

Beth and I just returned from camping in the Sierra Madres (W of Saratoga/Encampment). We were hoping to see the Flammulated Owls that son Will and I saw about 10 days ago. No luck.

But … on an evening walk while waiting for it to get dark I watched a male Purple Martin in with a mix of swallows for at least 10 minutes at close range. For some reason (emergence of ant alates?) the swallows and the martin were landing on the rocky slope above the road, so I had very close, static looks at it as well as the size comparison as it flew amongst the swallows. This was at the Battle Creek Campground, about halfway between the “campground” (very neglected) and the bridge.

The RMBO crews found Purple Martins near Savery (W end of the Sierra Madres, closer to Baggs) some years back, but I am not aware of reports from the Battle Creek valley. I think I saw one driving south from Laramie on 287 years ago, but did not feel comfortable calling it a sighting. This one was satisfyingly close.

During our owl quest, we did have a black bear cross the road in front of us, in the (unusual for WY) oak zone between the belts of aspens where the Flamms often occur. Aspen alley was very quiet – no sign of owls. But the stars were perhaps that either of us has ever seen.

We also heard Sandhill Cranes during the night. Several Northern Three-toed Woodpeckers when we hiked north on the Continental Divide trail this morning.

Happy trails, Dave McDonald

David B. McDonald <dbmcd...>
Dept. Zoology & Physiology, Dept. 3166
1000 E. University Ave.
Laramie, WY 82071

cell (307)-760-9360
Office: BioSci 415; Lab. BioSci 441
http://www.uwyo.edu/dbmcd/mcd.html

Back to top

Date: 7/15/17 9:16 pm
From: Chuck Seniawski <000000156665bc53-dmarc-request...>
Subject: King Ranch, Cheyenne
While on an historic ranches tour today with a group at the King Ranch, I saw 16 species.

Canada Goose 12; Turkey Vulture 1; Swainson's Hawk 1; Mourning Dove 1; Western Wood-Pewee 1; Western Kingbird 1;
Horned Lark 2; Barn Swallow 12; American Robin 3; Chestnut-collared Longspur 1; McCown's Longspur 1; Lark Bunting 2;
Brewer's Blackbird 1; Common Grackle 1; House Finch 2; American Goldfinch 1.

Beautiful day to be out in this oasis on the prairie, and some pretty good activity for just 1 1/2 hours of watching while I was learning about the ranch's history and operations. Not seen during this visit, but plentiful this year, I was told, is Western Meadowlark.

Chuck Seniawski
Cheyenne

Back to top
Date: 7/14/17 6:54 pm
From: Ann Hines <annhines12...>
Subject: ekw
It was a quiet morning at EKW. ]
Usual and not many of any species
Redwing Blackbird
Robin
Downy Woodpecker
N Flicker
Yellow Warbler
House Wren
Tree Swallow
Cliff Swallow
Warbling Vireo
Grackle (LOTS)
Song Sparrow
Killdeer
W. Meadowlark
Common nighthawk
Black-capped Chickadee
Western Kingbirtd
BUT THEN:
We heard the Yellow-billed Cuckoo. Had not seen or heard one in the park
in 23 years.
What a thrill
Ann in Casper

Back to top
Date: 7/14/17 6:38 pm
From: Jennifer Hammett <jenham227...>
Subject: Hummingbirds
I am from out of town and will e in Casper tomorrow. Is there anywhere to see hummingbirds? Thank you.

Jennifer Hammett
Shawnee, Kansas

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 7/13/17 2:10 pm
From: Bob & Suzanne Hargis <bhargis...>
Subject: Dickcissel and Blue Grosbeaks
Hello Birders
Sorry for the snafu with the mail server. hope this goes out ok
Yesterday I got a call from Birding Buddy, Del Nelson about a singing Dickcissel and Blue grosbeak seen near Hudson in Fremont.
Went out quickly and found the birds with his fine directions described here:
Beginning in Hudson take the road northeast toward Riverton on 789. Take Rendezvous road also known as Hwy. 138 toward Arapaho and St. Stephens. Go .3 mile northeast and on the left you will see a fallen, but still alive, cottonwood tree. Wait and watch here for a singing Dickcissel to show up.. have fine fotos if you would like to see this guy. 100 meters beyond on the left there is a Russian Olive tree... there was a singing male blue grosbeak that flew off to the northwest toward the Little Wind river joining a female BLGB in some tall brush there..
This is my first Dickcissel in my 20 years in Fremont county and the first for me this far west in the state. This sighting is notable for the fact that this bird joins a large number of Bobolinks reported near Lander area this year... wet in the west has made this area look more like Nebraska and the Dakotas it seems
Good birding to all
Bob Hargis
Riverton

PS thanks again Del for this fine tip!

Back to top
Date: 7/12/17 6:39 pm
From: rtcox <birder1...>
Subject: Re: Baltimore Oriole,
I have a pair of male Baltimore Orioles here. Unusual 2 note calls and other activities got my attention. One has been chasing a female but I have not had good looks at her.

SW Gillette; lots of trees

RT Cox
Gillette Wyoming
307.299.2814
<birder1...>
https://500px.com/RTCox/galleries

Date: 7/12/17 2:50 pm
From: David McDonald <DBMcD...>
Subject: Baird's Sparrows (nr Laramie)
WyoBirders

Following parasitically in the competent and careful footsteps of Cody Porter and Nate Behl, I went incompetently and carelessly up Rt 51 (the dirt D-loop from 8 miles N of Laramie, W of 287, to lovely downtown Bosler).

Even I was able to find singing Baird’s Sparrows (which I had seen previously only in ND, though I heard one with Vicky Herron and some others once, east of Cheyenne) …

If you want to try, proceed N on 51 (Old Laramie Rd) past the Git-Along Trail sign until a fence starts on your right. From there to the cattle guard fence is the Baird’s area (and Chestnut-collared Longspurs). Also had Swainson’s, Ferruginous and Red-tailed Hawks, both longspurs and a den of red foxes (recent swift foxes along the road to Centennial). I also heard some more Baird’s up near the river, a couple of miles (?) north of that, though they were fairly faint and far away.

Baltimore Orioles …. Perhaps I should parasitize Jean’s efforts in the NE once again.

Happy trails, Dave McD

Date: 7/12/17 1:32 pm
From: Ann Hines <annhines12...>
YOU LUCKY, GAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ann

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 8:58 AM, <jgwindsong...> wrote:

> Good morning birders, This morning I had a Baltimore Oriole at my
> feeders. I thought I had one about 2 weeks ago, but never got a good look
> at him. Today he has been in and out several times. He came on my deck
> feeder for a really good look. He mostly likes my suet feeder. I have an
> orange with jelly out but have yet to see him go for this. I had a
> strange call 2 note call in a tree a couple of days ago. I looked it up
> but could not find it on my bird pro. This morning I found it under Juv.
> Baltimore Oriel calls. The adult
> male at my feeders has the complete black hood with too white wing bars.
> Jean, Sundance, Wy.

Back to top

Date: 7/10/17 4:29 pm
From: CJ Grimes <cjgrimes...>
Subject: Ash-throated Flycatchers, Hot Springs County
Saturday morning a group from the Washakie/Hot Springs WPLI committee took a field trip to the Cedar Mountain Wilderness Study Area (contact me directly if you have interest in the public lands initiative process)

At the WSA boundary, coming from the south, there is a fairly large stand of mature Utah juniper with some limber pine mixed in. There were 2 different Ash-throated Flycatchers calling in this area. I didn't have time to chase after them and try for photos, but the call is unmistakable as well as familiar - they were yard birds for us when we lived in NM. They are less than a mile from Washakie County. Other birds in the area were Black-throated Gray Warblers (juveniles) Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Gray Flycatcher, Rock Wren and Mourning Dove.

CJ Grimes
Ten Sleep

Back to top
Date: 7/10/17 2:19 pm
From: Rich Weaver <popeyeweaver...>
Subject: Beer
Let's have a beer. Cheers, Rich

Back to top
Date: 7/10/17 11:08 am
From: David McDonald <DBMcD...>
Subject: Flammulated Owls and Powder Rim SW species
WyoBirders

My son Will and I went birding in the Sierra Madres (W of Encampment) and on the Powder Rim (W of Baggs) Wed to Fr, 5 to 7 July.

Highlight at the Battle Ck campground (no water) in the Sierra Madres was a calling Flammulated Owl at one of the bends above the Battle Creek campground (about Mile 33 on the road from Encampment to Baggs). Also had calling Poorwills – one landed on the road near us.

*** We then went to “Aspen Alley” (Deep Creek Road) which goes off to the north, at about Mile 32 (well marked). This is the famous row of aspens that has, for example, been on the cover of the WY highway map. Flamms there too! [Am not aware of anyone reporting them from that spot, and though they were further away than ones I have seen at Battle Creek, they were more visible because the habitat is more open]. We spent a LONG time chasing them around (probably less than 150 m from the north end of the alley). Finally saw a silent bird (female that emerged from a nest cavity?) and a calling male, and could hear another calling male.

We then went on to the Powder Rim. Not so easy to find any more (with many new oil & gas roads). Using Oliver Scott’s WY bird-finding book, we started at Sand Creek Road, 7 miles north of Baggs, went in 10 miles to where the road forks (take the left or S fork) and another 7 miles to the bridge (repaired since Scott’s time). [Nice birds along here included Sagebrush Sparrows and Loggerhead Shrikes]. Then the tricky part (diverging from Scott’s directions). 5 miles beyond the bridge, the “main” road goes straight (or perhaps slightly to the right) but the road up to the Rim goes to the left. [We followed the right, on the new or improved oil road; that led to an abortive attempt to take my beater Subaru Forester up a track that … though we saw Gray and Ash-throated Flycatchers again, and a Plumbeous Vireo, because of it, so not all bad]. In another 2 miles [this is the 7 miles in the Scott book] there is yet another (3-way) fork. Do not drop down to the south (left), nor on to the grassy (right) fork. Stay on the middle “road” that goes uphill toward the rim. The road is not good in places after this. We went on to Powder Mountain and camped there. A hummer (likely Black-chinned) buzzed by, but highlights we saw well included Gray and Ash-throated Flycatchers, great look at calling Poorwill on a snag, Bewick’s and Rock Wrens and glimpses of kangaroo rats.

If you want remote (take water!), Powder Rim is great. Must admit, though, that everything one sees there is likely much easier at Little Firehole Road near Flaming Gorge (and some of the species there do not seem to occur on the Powder Rim).

Good birding to y’all (southern WY variation of Chris M’s classic greeting).

Commercial plug: contact me if you might be interested in a “civilian” trip to Ecuador in October or November. I will be running one (on sabbatical there Sep 2017 to June 2018) in a new area in the north. Cushier accommodations and some really great places (7,000 to 8,000 feet elevation in the dry north-central valley, about 2 hrs N of Quito). Will also run a UW student trip in Jan 2018, which might have some openings for civilians. That one will be at my usual spot at Milpe (2 hrs W of Quito). Research highlights there include high speed video of manakin displays that are too rapid for the human eye, and conservation of Black-and-chestnut Eagle, including attempt to establish first-ever webcams at nests.

Date: 7/9/17 9:28 pm
From: Chuck Seniawski <000000156665bc53-dmarc-request...>
Visited both on Saturday morning. Much more activity than I expected at the reservoir, with a few shorebirds present. I did get to see dickcissels on the county road between Burlington Trail Road and Campstool Road. Haying is in progress in the fields and along the road margins, though, so I am not sure how long they will stay. Persistence was the watchword. I drove slowly from west to east on the road and saw none. It was when I retraced my route, driving from east to west, that I was able to spot the birds.

Chuck Seniawski
Cheyenne

Wyoming Hereford Ranch--Reservoir Number 1, Laramie, Wyoming, US
Jul 8, 2017 9:15 AM - 10:15 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Comments: 75 degrees, partly cloudy, light breeze. From west and east observation points and below dam.
36 species (+2 other taxa)

Canada Goose 165
Gadwall 2
Mallard 141 Including one hen which had 18 ducklings swimming with her. No other hens in sight, out on the water.
Blue-winged/Cinnamon Teal 1
Northern Shoveler 2
Northern Pintail 6
Redhead 8
Western Grebe 9
Western/Clark's Grebe 1 Clark's Grebe -- Eye clearly surrounded by white. Orange-ish bill.
Double-crested Cormorant 31
American White Pelican 25
Great Blue Heron 5
American Coot 2
American Avocet 32
Killdeer 3
Western Sandpiper 4
Wilson's Phalarope 2
Spotted Sandpiper 2
Solitary Sandpiper 1
Franklin's Gull 6
Ring-billed Gull 9
Mourning Dove 1
Western Wood-Pewee 1
Western Kingbird 1
Eastern Kingbird 1
Northern Rough-winged Swallow 30
Bank Swallow 2
Barn Swallow 1
Cliff Swallow 1
American Robin 1
European Starling 44
Yellow Warbler 1
Red-winged Blackbird 3
Western Meadowlark 2
Brown-headed Cowbird 1
Bullock's Oriole 1
House Finch 2
American Goldfinch 1

Burlington Trail Road at WHR to Campstool Rd, Laramie, Wyoming, US
Jul 8, 2017 10:15 AM - 11:20 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Comments: High 70s, partly cloudy. Haying in progress. Much of the north side acreage had already been cut. Margins along the north side of the road were being cut as I left.
13 species

Swainson's Hawk 2
Wilson's Snipe 4
Mourning Dove 4
Western Kingbird 3
Eastern Kingbird 1
Cliff Swallow 1
American Robin 2
Grasshopper Sparrow 2
Lark Sparrow 3
Vesper Sparrow 2
Dickcissel 3
Red-winged Blackbird 5
Western Meadowlark 2

Back to top
Date: 7/9/17 5:03 pm
From: Bruce Walgren <piranga...>
Subject: Nowood BBS
Dear Birders,

Donna and I did the Nowood BBS on July 7. We had excellent weather and road
conditions. A dead cottonwood near our starting point had 8 turkeys and
young roosting in it, but the Common Poorwill that we heard earlier, refused
to call after our start time. The turkeys were new for this route even
though the Nowood River valley is right close and they surely have been
there, we just haven't been in the right place at the right time. Near the
end of the route we found 3 Turkey Vultures, another new species for the
route. At one point we had a family of Sage Thrashers, the young were as
big as the adults and it was fun to watch them. This route is in a remote
location (between Ten Sleep and Lysite) and we have done the route without
seeing any vehicles, we did have a few this time, but they were not a
factor. I have not input the data yet, but it seemed that the sparrow
numbers are down. The habitat ranges from riparian (with just a few trees),
heavy sage steppe, dry grasslands, and a few small reservoirs.

Bruce & Donna Walgren

Casper, WY

Back to top
Date: 7/8/17 5:43 pm
From: Jacqueline M Hauptman <jhauptma...>
Subject: Hwy 34 seasonal pond
Dear Birders,

I know many of you visit the seasonal pond just east of the intersection on Hwy 30 and Hwy 34, just shy of the town of Bosler in Albany Co.

There are some cattle maybe 1/2 mile E of that pond. If anyone knows who they belong to, please pass on that there is a momma cow with a red calf, I think, who has a bum front foot. Any good cow man would want to save a good momma cow. I just do not know the land owner and thought that maybe someone had accessed some of those back roads through there.

Thank you, Jackie
J. M. Hauptman
University of Wyoming
Anthropology Dept. 3431
1000 E. University Ave.
Laramie WY 82071

307-766-6920

Date: 7/6/17 9:19 am
From: Cody Porter <empidonaxdvg...>
Subject: Baird's Sparrows -- Laramie
All,

Nate Behl and I carefully birded along Old Laramie River Rd. (the ~1/2 mile north of Git Along Trail) and had 8 singing Baird's Sparrows. It is possible that we heard 1-2 more. A nice treat was seeing so many Chestnut-collared Longspurs (we counted 18).

Good birding,
Cody Porter

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 7/3/17 8:24 am
From: Pat Deibert <pat_deibert...>
Subject: Take cover!!!!!!
They're here - rufous hummingbirds are back! Hovered menacingly in
front of my face while I was enjoying coffee on my deck this morning-
the dogs dove for cover. About 1 to 2 weeks earlier than previous
years. Somehow they knew I was buying sugar in 25 pound bags.

I was already filling 4 to 6 quart feeders daily for the broad-tails
- better see what other feeders I can find in the garage. Yesterday
morning I counted 17 broad-tails at just one of my 11 feeders. Was
going to give a feeder to a new neighbor- but want to make them feel
welcome not terrorized.....

Pat, in the burbs of Buford

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 7/2/17 11:28 am
From: <mgorges...> <mgorges...>
Subject: Hereford Reservoir #1
Take your spotting scope; extensive mud flats, shore birds, ducklings. Mark, in Cheyenne

Affordable Wireless Plans
Set up is easy. Get online in minutes.
Starting at only $14.95 per month!
www.netzero.net?refcd=nzmem0216

Back to top
Date: 7/2/17 10:12 am
From: <mgorges...> <mgorges...>
Subject: Dickcissels
This morning Barb and I had at least 4 Dickcissels on the road between Wyoming Hereford Reservoir #1 and Campstool Road. Photos on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/mark.gorges
Police Urge Americans to Carry This With Them at All Times
The Observer
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5959296954722296947d3st01duc

Back to top
Date: 7/2/17 5:27 am
From: Hustace Scott <hustace...>
Subject:
I had a singing Blue Grosbeak at my house yesterday and on Friday. This is
the first I have heard it hear, so I don't know if it will stay around. It
was just west of my house, between the house and my shop.

Seeing the Grasshopper Sparrow sing at the Bioblitz was really good for my
ears. I am now hearing them all over my fields. Tony Martin is working
for me this summer, and has pointed out several that I cannot hear. We
also still have Dickcissels everywhere.

Stacey Scott
SW of Casper

Back to top
Date: 6/26/17 8:57 am
From: Cody Porter <empidonaxdvg...>
Subject: Baird's Sparrow -- north of Laramie
All,

I am watching/listening to a Baird's Sparrow singing along Old Laramie River Rd. The bird is right at the Git Along Trail where one was last year.

Good birding,
Cody Porter

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 6/26/17 3:51 am
From: Bruce Walgren <piranga...>
Subject: Bird surveys
Greetings Birders,

Donna and I have recently completed three bird surveys.

On Friday, we did the Leo BBS, this route starts on Shirley Mountain Road
and ends on the Hanna\Leo Draw Road. We've been doing this route since 1994
and we only had one Rock Wren (Average of 9 thru 2013) this year. I have not
input the data for the route yet, so I don't have actual numbers, but my
general feeling is that our numbers are low - it was very quiet and we had
several stops with only one bird - weather (specifically wind) was not a
factor on this day.

Saturday, we did the North Platte River riparian survey (Crossroads Park in
Casper). Again it was pretty quiet with only 22 species. This time of year
we usually have 30+ species. We did find an Eastern Screech Owl near one of
the stops on the way back to the car.

Sunday we did the Brookhurst BBS near Casper (starts on Geary Dome Rd and
ends on Hat Six Rd). The first part of the route is usually not as "birdy"
as later stops and until we cross I-25 there is a lot of traffic and
associated noise. As the result of above normal springtime moisture, there
is a lot of tall grass in the pastures along this route. There was an
abundance of Lark Buntings and was great to see and hear their display
behavior. We also had three Grasshopper Sparrows-we've had them before when
the conditions were right. The most interesting species that we found (at
just one stop) was a Dickcissel. I checked, and there has not been a
Dickcissel reported on the route before. We also had a Virginia's Warbler.
It was a good day for the route - nice weather and light traffic.

Hope you all are getting out there!

Bruce & Donna Walgren

Casper, WY

Back to top
Date: 6/21/17 5:11 pm
From: Chuck Seniawski <000000156665bc53-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Pine Bluffs Breeding Bird Survey
This route starts a little north of Pine, goes through town, then heads south and west until it terminates about 1/2 mile north of the Wyoming/Colorado border and features mostly dryland farming and grassland.

Completed this route a week ago and found 24 species: Mallard, Rock Pigeon, Eurasian Collared Dove, Mourning Dove, Common Nighthawk, Killdeer, Swainson’s Hawk, Prairie Falcon, Western Kingbird, Blue Jay, Horned Lark, Cliff Swallow, Barn Swallow, American Robin, European Starling, House Sparrow, Vesper Sparrow, Lark Sparrow, Lark Bunting, Dickcissel, Red-winged Blackbird, Western Meadowlark, Brewer’s Blackbird, Common Grackle.

Chuck Seniawski
Cheyenne

Back to top
Date: 6/21/17 5:04 pm
From: Chuck Seniawski <000000156665bc53-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Cheyenne Breeding Bird Survey
The clear highlight of yesterday's breeding bird survey on gravel roads north and east of Cheyenne was a Golden Eagle, sitting on a fence post alongside the road as I drove by. This was the closest I've been to one outside of a zoo. And he sat tight even though I stopped just down the road.

Birds observed during the survey, which starts on Telephone Road and eventually ends on Indian Hill Road: 24 species. Mourning Dove, Common Nighthawk, Killdeer, Golden Eagle, Swainson’s Hawk, Red-tailed Hawk, American Kestrel, Say’s Phoebe, Horned Lark, Barn Swallow, Mountain Bluebird, American Robin, European Starling, House Sparrow, Chestnut-collared Longspur, McCown’s Longspur, Vesper Sparrow, Lark Bunting, Savannah Sparrow, Grasshopper Sparrow, Red-winged Blackbird, Western Meadowlark, Brewer’s Blackbird, Brown-headed Cowbird.

I also spent an half hour at the Indian Hill Road crossing of Horse Creek and observed... Lark Bunting (6), Western Meadowlark, Common Nighthawk (trio + 1 on fence), Red-winged Blackbird (5), Common Grackle (2), Mourning Dove (2), Cliff Swallow (about 50), Yellow Warbler, Eastern Kingbird, Western Wood Pewee, Bullock’s Oriole (female), Song Sparrow, Western Kingbird.

Overall a very pleasant morning.

Chuck Seniawski
Cheyenne

Join us on Facebook!