Maine-birds
Received From Subject
1/18/21 6:12 pm Craig Kesselheim <ckesselheim...> Re: [Maine-birds] Birders' fashion choices in these odd times:
1/18/21 10:43 am Nancy W. Dickinson <nwd1...> [Maine-birds] Pine Grosbeaks
1/13/21 12:48 pm Pat Ledlie <ledlie...> [Maine-birds] Finches and other winter birds are missing from the foothills?
1/12/21 3:25 pm Bob Duchesne <duchesne...> [Maine-birds] Allagash atlas stuff
1/11/21 2:07 pm Joanne Stevens <joshawk...> [Maine-birds] 2 SNOW Gorham
1/9/21 12:11 pm Joanne Stevens <joshawk...> [Maine-birds] AMKE and RLHA Scarborough
1/9/21 11:59 am David Gulick <dvdgu741...> Re: [Maine-birds] Harrier
1/9/21 9:33 am Nancy W. Dickinson <nwd1...> [Maine-birds] Re: Harrier
1/9/21 9:14 am Nancy W. Dickinson <nwd1...> [Maine-birds] Harrier
1/8/21 1:34 pm Bob Knight <bob...> [Maine-birds] Eastern Bluebird in Brooksville
1/2/21 2:45 pm 'Derek Lovitch' via Maine birds <maine-birds...> Re: [Maine-birds] eagles
1/2/21 2:20 pm Dave Tucker <dhtucker...> [Maine-birds] eagles
1/2/21 5:54 am Richard J. Duddy <rjduddy...> [Maine-birds] Cliff House Visiting Policy Please
12/28/20 9:30 am Jeff Wells <jeffwells...> [Maine-birds] CBC results
12/28/20 8:42 am William Otto <william.otto...> [Maine-birds] Machias Highlights
12/27/20 2:31 pm Denise Johnson <dpj113...> [Maine-birds] Re: Another Snowy Owl
12/27/20 2:19 pm Denise Johnson <dpj113...> [Maine-birds] Female Goldeneye
12/27/20 8:26 am J. Michael <gepetto...> [Maine-birds] Another Snowy Owl
12/25/20 9:11 am Denise Johnson <dpj113...> [Maine-birds] Carolina wren persists

Back to top
Date: 1/18/21 6:12 pm
From: Craig Kesselheim <ckesselheim...>
Subject: Re: [Maine-birds] Birders' fashion choices in these odd times:
I'm not sure this argument is worth pursuing any further in this forum. I
don't see any progress being made.

But I would like to say this to everyone: Sean doesn't speak for me. Based
on my encounters with Maine birders for over 25 years, I also don't believe
his views are representative of the listserv or of the birding community
in Maine.

I look forward to meeting up in the field.

Good birding,
Craig

Back to top
Date: 1/18/21 10:43 am
From: Nancy W. Dickinson <nwd1...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Pine Grosbeaks
Again this morning at 8:30 I found the reliable flock of Pine Grosbeaks in the large crabapple tree at Damariscotta Veterinary Clinic on Main Street, near the Whaleback Midden. Seven birds were feeding in the tree and on the ground, calling brightly, and didn’t spook when I walked past with my dog. But if you take the first parking space you can see them from your car, if you’re lucky.
Nancy Dickinson

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 1/13/21 12:48 pm
From: Pat Ledlie <ledlie...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Finches and other winter birds are missing from the foothills?
I'm in Buckfield in the foothills of the Western Mountains. We had many
Purple Finches and Goldfinches at our feeder early on, but for the last
two months or so it's been Blue Jays, Tufted Titmice, Black Capped
Chickadees , and for a couple of weeks 2 lone Tree Sparrows. Must be
something to do with weather patterns? Any ideas?

Back to top
Date: 1/12/21 3:25 pm
From: Bob Duchesne <duchesne...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Allagash atlas stuff
I spent two days around Chamberlain Bridge in the Allagash Wilderness
Waterway, doing some surveys for the Winter Bird Atlas. (See: Maine Bird
Atlas: Maine Dept of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife
<https://www.maine.gov/ifw/fish-wildlife/maine-bird-atlas/index.html> .)

Highlights:

A male black-backed woodpecker about a mile north of Chamberlain Bridge.

A female black-backed woodpecker about a mile west of Chamberlain Bridge

A northern shrike about a quarter mile south of Chamberlain Bridge.

Humorously, I had more black-backed woodpeckers than hairy or pileated.

Lowlights:
The finches have deserted the area. I had three pine grosbeaks, and two
flyover red crossbills, but no other finches. Last year was so LOUD! Now,
it's pretty dead - maybe the quietest I've ever seen it. Even the routine
birds were pretty subdued.

Still, conditions were ideal and I can't complain. Will return soon to knock
off some more blocks.

Bob Duchesne

Back to top
Date: 1/11/21 2:07 pm
From: Joanne Stevens <joshawk...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] 2 SNOW Gorham
Late this afternoon there were two Snowy Owls at the Shaw Cherry Hill
Farm, Rt. 25 Gorham, which is near Mosher Rd. (Rt.237).  One was lightly
marked, the other more heavily marked.  They didn't seem to be bothered
by the loud construction vehicles, people walking their dogs and others
skating on the ice rink.

The dark phase Rough-legged Hawk was present at 2:00 pm near Smiling
Hill Farm along Rt. 22.  It seems to like to perch on the telephone
poles near the west end of the fields.

Joanne Stevens

Back to top
Date: 1/9/21 12:11 pm
From: Joanne Stevens <joshawk...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] AMKE and RLHA Scarborough
Continuing American Kestrel at Flaherty's Farm, Payne Rd. and dark phase
Rough-legged Hawk, Smiling Hill Farm, Rt. 22 early afternoon today.

Joanne Stevens

Back to top
Date: 1/9/21 11:59 am
From: David Gulick <dvdgu741...>
Subject: Re: [Maine-birds] Harrier
And there was one earlier this afternoon patrolling the Portland Jetport!

Sent from my iphone with auto incorrect activated :-)

> On Jan 9, 2021, at 12:14 PM, Nancy W. Dickinson <nwd1...> wrote:
>
> I was surprised to see a handsome Northern Harrier hunting over our field an hour ago. Shouldn’t he be further south in January?
>
> Nancy Dickinson
> Pemaquid
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> --

Back to top
Date: 1/9/21 9:33 am
From: Nancy W. Dickinson <nwd1...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Re: Harrier
I see in Birds of Maine that the bird is unusual in January but not unheard of.
Nancy

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 9, 2021, at 12:14 PM, Nancy W. Dickinson <nwd1...> wrote:
>
> I was surprised to see a handsome Northern Harrier hunting over our field an hour ago. Shouldn’t he be further south in January?
>
> Nancy Dickinson
> Pemaquid
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Back to top

Date: 1/8/21 1:34 pm
From: Bob Knight <bob...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Eastern Bluebird in Brooksville
Wow--this morning I watched a pair of Eastern Bluebirds exploring my
somewhat expired freeze dried meal worms in my Bluebird feeder! As soon as
they moved away I rushed out and took it in and cleaned it and put out new
mealworms. I am sure this is the couple that raised a brood in our
Bluebird house this summer. They looked fat and healthy hopping around on
the snow.

I know they were seen in the count in southern Maine--but we are in Hancock
county.

Back to top
Date: 1/2/21 2:45 pm
From: 'Derek Lovitch' via Maine birds <maine-birds...>
Subject: Re: [Maine-birds] eagles
It has not.
-Derek

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 2, 2021, at 5:20 PM, Dave Tucker <dhtucker...> wrote:
>

> Wondering if the Hatch Landfill has been reopened for eagle observation? If someone in the know could please respond it would be much appreciated. Thanks, Dave Tucker, Kittery Point
> --

Back to top

Date: 1/2/21 5:54 am
From: Richard J. Duddy <rjduddy...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Cliff House Visiting Policy Please
Could someone please clarify the policies for visiting the Cliff House &
in particular seeing the Western Tanager?

Andy Aldrich posted the new visiting hours.

Some birders that went to see the tanager yesterday said we have to get
permission from the home owner where the tanager is being seen.

One birder said we need to get permission from the Cliff House.

Thanks,

Turk

Back to top
Date: 12/28/20 9:30 am
From: Jeff Wells <jeffwells...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] CBC results
Just wondering if any other CBCs besides the Augusta CBC had a lot of new high counts for common species and high counts for Pine Grosbeak?

Jeff Wells

Back to top
Date: 12/28/20 8:42 am
From: William Otto <william.otto...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Machias Highlights
I have tried to get outside more this winter, but have really enjoyed
watching our feeders in Machias with my elderly mother-in-law. Of note we
have had a pine warbler coming to our feeders for the last 5 weeks. Over
the last couple of weeks it seems to be loosely associated with a flock of
American Goldfinches. While it comes to the suet feeders, it is also going
after hulled sunflowers. We have also had a Ruby- crowned Kinglet regularly
coming to the feeder. Over the last two weeks we have stopped seeing the
Evening Grosbeaks, but we have now have a juvenile Red Crossbill (first
time at my feeders), American Tree Sparrows (9), and White-throated
Sparrows (5). This past week we have seen an increasing number of Common
Redpolls (now about 7 come to the feeders).

Yesterday we had 20 species at our feeders, and the cool experience of a
new feeder bird. A Sharp-shinned Hawk showed up scattering the birds. It
settled in the bushes and about 30 minutes later when one of the two flocks
of goldfinches settled into feeding the Sharpie went into action. The
pandemonium as the flock of about 60 birds went every which way. It was
weird seeing two goldfinches run into each other, two others lightly struck
my window and another one hit the side of the house. Don't know if the
Sharpie was successful, but we did not see it the rest of the day.

Looks like it is time to refill the seed feeders.

Happy Birding everyone!
William
--
William Otto
Professor of Chemistry

Back to top
Date: 12/27/20 2:31 pm
From: Denise Johnson <dpj113...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Re: Another Snowy Owl
Saw one atop a house chimney off Milestretch just past Bridge Street,
12/26/20 at 4:pm. A couple in a red SUV pulled into a driveway way closer
to the owl than I was, moved the car three times, then [image: DSC00278
(3).JPG]got out of the car and walked right up to the house where it was,
when it of course flew away. Burned me up.

On Sunday, December 27, 2020 at 11:26:33 AM UTC-5 J. Michael wrote:

> 12/24 Biddeford Pool along the edge of the Pool itself along Mile Stretch
> at low tide.
> Looking at the posts on ebird there are 2 there a couple of days after my
> photo was taken.
>
> Larger Image <https://pbase.com/nidoba/image/171295965>
>
> [image: SnowyOwl_MG_9136_Small.jpg]

Back to top
Date: 12/27/20 2:19 pm
From: Denise Johnson <dpj113...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Female Goldeneye
Phillips Cove Pond Cape Neddick, off Shore Road, 12-27-20, 4:pm.

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top

Date: 12/25/20 9:11 am
From: Denise Johnson <dpj113...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Carolina wren persists
On Christmas Day in the morning 🎶. Cape Neddick, West.

Sent from my iPhone