Maine-birds
Received From Subject
6/22/24 12:55 pm <chrwsu...> Re: [Maine-birds] wood thrush question/Gorham
6/22/24 11:56 am 'Derek and Jeannette Lovitch' via Maine birds <maine-birds...> [Maine-birds] Recent Highlights, 6/13-22
6/22/24 10:23 am Lois and Tom Hasbrouck <thasbroucks...> [Maine-birds] wood thrush question/Gorham
6/12/24 12:05 pm 'Derek and Jeannette Lovitch' via Maine birds <maine-birds...> [Maine-birds] Recent Highlights, 6/2-6/12
5/25/24 5:26 am Denise Johnson <dpj113...> [Maine-birds] FOY Eastern Wood Peewee

Back to top
Date: 6/22/24 12:55 pm
From: <chrwsu...>
Subject: Re: [Maine-birds] wood thrush question/Gorham

I have not noticed any change in the Wood Thrush population along my road (near Skowhegan).  I have the impression that there are more of them this year than in the past (maybe I stole yours?  Sorry! 😁 ).  Hermit Thrushes have been about normal.  I even discovered a nest in my woods, and the eggs hatched.  I'm not sure if the young survived, or not, but they looked pretty chipper the last time I saw them before the nest was empty.  Hopefully they escaped any predators.

I'd be happy to trade you a pair of Wood Thrushes for a Carolina Wren.

Wally S.

On Sat, 22 Jun 2024 13:23:11 -0400, Lois and Tom Hasbrouck <thasbroucks...> wrote:

We have noticed this year the absence of wood thrushes in our area and are wondering about this. I looked back over our observations (dating back to 2001 for our own yard/woods) and every year since 2006 we have noted seeing or hearing wood thrushes by May. This year we have neither seen nor heard them. I only started hearing a veery a week ago and have also not yet heard a hermit thrush. The wood thrushes have always been notably around and vocal so I am/we are curious about this.

I know there are changes over time with bird population and movement…we now have bluebirds year-round which were not here in former years, and another more recent neighor is the Carolina wren family…hard to miss with those LOUD vocalizations. :) Wood thrushes just seem to be an odd one to have moved away.

Thanks in advance for any insight anyone might have~

Lois Hasbrouck

Back to top
Date: 6/22/24 11:56 am
From: 'Derek and Jeannette Lovitch' via Maine birds <maine-birds...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Recent Highlights, 6/13-22
Hi all,My observations of note over the past ten days included the following. Most unexpected of them was witnessing and documenting a rudimentary breeding attempt by Red-necked Grebes!
https://mebirdingfieldnotes.blog/2024/06/22/recent-highlights-6-13-6-22/

-Derek

 Derek and Jeannette Lovitch

 Freeport Wild Bird Supply