NEBirds
Received From Subject
12/17/18 5:40 pm 'Gubanyi,Joe' <Joseph.Gubanyi...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...> [NEBirds] Seward-BOL CBC preliminary results
12/17/18 4:05 pm Ross Silcock <silcock...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...> RE: [NEBirds] Flickers
12/17/18 3:19 pm <rcdicker...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...> [NEBirds] Flickers
12/17/18 3:02 pm Ross Silcock <silcock...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...> [NEBirds] Test
12/17/18 1:33 pm renosmom <renosmom...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...> RE: [NEBirds] Panhandle Christmas Bird Counts
12/17/18 1:17 pm 'Jorgensen, Joel' <Joel.Jorgensen...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...> [NEBirds] Harlan Co. CBC - preliminary results
12/17/18 12:30 pm <esaterojarvi...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...> [NEBirds] Christmas shopping?
12/11/18 5:19 am <jfreeborn58...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...> [NEBirds] Re: Lake Wanahoo Trumpeter Swan
12/10/18 8:29 am 'Gubanyi,Joe' <Joseph.Gubanyi...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...> [NEBirds] recent BOL sightings and Seward-BOL CBC
12/10/18 6:45 am Allen <allenreyer...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...> [NEBirds] Bellevue area
12/10/18 4:34 am <jfreeborn58...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...> [NEBirds] Lake Wanahoo Trumpeter Swan
12/8/18 9:52 pm Justin Rink <spindalis79...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...> [NEBirds] Prairie Falcon Over Midtown- 12/08
12/8/18 3:15 pm Steve Morris <mstev4...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...> [NEBirds] varied thrush
12/7/18 6:10 am Mark Brogie <mabrogie...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...> [NEBirds] ANOTHER #300 IN 2018 - JOEL JORGENSEN
12/6/18 3:55 pm 'Elliott Bedows' <ebedows...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...> [NEBirds] Fontenelle Forest
12/5/18 5:16 pm 'Elliott Bedows' <ebedows...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...> [NEBirds] Fonteneele Forest, Sarpy Co.
12/5/18 2:08 pm Allen <allenreyer...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...> [NEBirds] Sarpy County yard birds
12/4/18 10:05 pm Clem Klaphake <ckavian...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...> [NEBirds] Fwd: eBird Report - Base Lake, Dec 4, 2018
12/4/18 12:08 pm 'leamarart' <leamarart...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...> Re: [NEBirds] Pileated Woodpecker
12/4/18 11:49 am <katcr...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...> [NEBirds] Pileated Woodpecker
12/4/18 7:19 am 'Dinsmore, Stephen J [NREM]' <cootjr...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...> [NEBirds] Lake McConaughy CBC.
12/3/18 2:51 pm Jan Johnson <janbirder...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...> [NEBirds] Rusty Blackbirds
12/2/18 12:32 pm Jan Johnson <janbirder...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...> [NEBirds] Red-breasted Nuthatch experience
12/1/18 4:58 pm 'Lanny and Robin' <snowbunting...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...> [NEBirds] Saline Co
11/29/18 8:26 pm Paul Roisen <roisenp1950...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...> Re: [NEBirds] Re: eBird alerts (rare bird) and NEbird postings--not a sighting
11/29/18 7:47 pm <sparvophile...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...> [NEBirds] Re: eBird alerts (rare bird) and NEbird postings--not a sighting
11/29/18 2:32 pm Paul Roisen <roisenp1950...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...> [NEBirds] eBird alerts (rare bird) and NEbird postings--not a sighting
11/27/18 9:48 pm Justin Rink <spindalis79...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...> [NEBirds] Odd Goldeneye/ Belated C-c Sparrow, etc.
11/27/18 9:31 pm rjensen <rjensen...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...> Re: [NEBirds] Bird ID help
11/27/18 3:53 pm 'Elliott Bedows' <ebedows...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...> [NEBirds] Sarpy Co.
11/27/18 10:33 am rjensen <rjensen...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...> [NEBirds] Bird ID help
11/25/18 9:59 pm Loren Padelford <lpdlfrd...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...> [NEBirds] Bellevue Birds
11/24/18 8:20 pm Loren Padelford <lpdlfrd...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...> [NEBirds] Offutt Lake, Bellevue
11/24/18 8:14 pm <sammanning19...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...> [NEBirds] Long-tailed Duck - Cunningham Lake 11/24
11/23/18 9:43 am 'Elliott Bedows' <ebedows...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...> RE: [NEBirds] Offutt Base Lake, Bellevue
11/23/18 8:44 am 'Greg Stoiber' <gregst7...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...> RE: [NEBirds] Offutt Base Lake, Bellevue
11/23/18 7:46 am Loren Padelford <lpdlfrd...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...> Re: [NEBirds] Offutt Base Lake, Bellevue
11/22/18 9:22 pm 'Greg Stoiber' <gregst7...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...> RE: [NEBirds] Offutt Base Lake, Bellevue
11/22/18 6:20 pm Loren Padelford <lpdlfrd...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...> [NEBirds] Offutt Base Lake, Bellevue
11/20/18 9:20 pm Loren Padelford <lpdlfrd...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...> [NEBirds] Offutt Lake, Bellevue
11/20/18 12:19 pm Justin Rink <spindalis79...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...> [NEBirds] Base Lake Black Scoters
11/19/18 3:53 pm Loren Padelford <lpdlfrd...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...> [NEBirds] Offutt Lake, Bellevue
11/19/18 3:04 pm Jerry Gieseking <jg3097...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...> [NEBirds] Black Scoters
11/19/18 11:35 am Justin Rink <spindalis79...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...> Re: [NEBirds] Fwd: eBird Report - Base Lake, Nov 18, 2018
11/19/18 8:07 am Michael Bradley <m_scottbradley...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...> Re: [NEBirds] Kramper Lake Scoters

Back to top
Date: 12/17/18 5:40 pm
From: 'Gubanyi,Joe' <Joseph.Gubanyi...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Seward-BOL CBC preliminary results
The 25th Seward-BOL CBC was held Saturday, December 15. Most of the observers have sent me their counts, so I have an estimate of the species count. Currently we are at 66 species which is below the 69 species ?average over the 25 years we have been doing the count. In spite of the beautiful weather on the day of the count, the extended cold spell prior to the count resulted in little open water on lakes which reduced the number of water associated birds. Most observers commented when we met at midday, that there passerines were not out in big numbers although we did all right in passerine species count.

Notable finds include the following:

red-shouldered hawk - 2nd time (1st was last year)

eastern meadowlark - was heard singing; if accepted, will be the first record for the count

trumpeter swan - 2nd record (1st was two years ago)

Notable misses:

ring-necked pheasant - 1st time missed (was reported during count week)

eastern screech owl - 3rd time missed

Other misses:

common goldeneye

long-eared owl

yellow-bellied sapsucker

merlin

Out of curiosity, I checked ebird and 9 additional species (included 8 waterfowl and a glaucous gull) were seen within 9 days of the count. In addition, we had 3 count week species. Had the lakes not frozen over prior to the count, we could have easily had over 75 species well above out average. While not approaching Lake McConaughy or Harlan Reservoir, we have tallied over 80 three times with a record tally of 88 in 1998. I will share a final count after all the tallies are turned in (still waiting on feeder watchers).

Joe Gubanyi

Concordia University

Back to top
Date: 12/17/18 4:05 pm
From: Ross Silcock <silcock...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: RE: [NEBirds] Flickers
Hi Cheryl,

There is a summary of “Red-shafted Flicker” occurrence in Nebraska in “Birds of Nebraska- Online”. Link is in my signature block below.

This form of Northern Flicker is expected in winter in Nebraska, with numbers fewest eastward.

Ross

Ross Silcock
Seasonal Reports Compiler
Nebraska Bird Review
Co-Author “Birds of Nebraska- Online”
https://birds.outdoornebraska.gov/
Tabor, IA 51653
402-618-4933

Date: 12/17/18 3:02 pm
From: Ross Silcock <silcock...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Test

Ross Silcock
Seasonal Reports Compiler
Nebraska Bird Review
Co-Author "Birds of Nebraska- Online"
https://www.birdsofnebraska.org
Tabor, IA 51653
402-618-4933

------------------------------------
Posted by: Ross Silcock <silcock...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
<NEBirds-digest...>
<NEBirds-fullfeatured...>

<NEBirds-unsubscribe...>

Back to top
Date: 12/17/18 1:33 pm
From: renosmom <renosmom...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: RE: [NEBirds] Panhandle Christmas Bird Counts
Elliot, were you considering helping with the Scottsbluff CBC?
Kathy

-------- Original message --------From: "'Elliott Bedows' <ebedows...> [NEBirds]" <NEBirds...> Date: 10/18/17 3:34 PM (GMT-07:00) To: <NEBirds...> Subject: RE: [NEBirds] Panhandle Christmas Bird Counts

Hi Kathy (and others),

For years I have been trying to convince people to coordinate CBC’s
so that more western counts could be done with a single trip so I am totally in
favor of this idea.  Weather permitting (always a major factor with
CBC’s) I would love to participate in at least 2-3 of the proposed counts and
perhaps all of them.  Still need to hear about No. Platte count plans though.

Elliott Bedows

Bellevue, Sarpy Co.

Date: 12/17/18 1:17 pm
From: 'Jorgensen, Joel' <Joel.Jorgensen...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Harlan Co. CBC - preliminary results
The 11th Harlan County Christmas Bird Count occurred on 14 December 2018 with excellent weather. Fourteen observers recorded 94 species (total could change as I have not received final tallies from a couple of parties). This is only the third time the HC-CBC has achieved 90 or more species and all of those have occurred in the last three years. The 94 species is the second best total ever with only last year's total of 96 being better. Highlights of the CBC include Long-tailed Duck, Golden Eagle, Red-shouldered Hawk, Glaucous Gull, Bohemian Waxwing and Gray Catbird. Big misses included Merlin, Lesser Black-backed Gull (had 4 last year) and Brown Creeper (ugh!). I may provide a more complete summary once I have final tallies from all parties. Thanks to the participants that came down and helped with the CBC.

Since I was helping T.J. Walker with the North Platte CBC on Sunday and I did not want to drive home to Lincoln only to turn around to head to North Platte I decided to do a "pilot" CBC around Swanson Reservoir in Hithcock Co.. on Saturday. I had a circle of the appropriate size, great weather, but I was the lone observer. I tallied 52 species at and around Swanson Res. Highlights were Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Field Sparrow (2) and Spotted Towhee (3). Surprising misses were gallinaceous birds, owls, accipiters and Townsend's Solitaire. A full rundown can be found here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50690826. It was an interesting experiment.

Good birding!

-Joel

Joel Jorgensen | Nongame Bird Program Manager
Nebraska Game and Parks Commission
2200 N. 33rd 68503 | 402.471.5440
<joel.jorgensen...><mailto:<joel.jorgensen...>

Visit the Birds of Nebraska - Online <http://www.birdsofnebraska.org/> | www.birdsofnebraska.org

Back to top
Date: 12/17/18 12:30 pm
From: <esaterojarvi...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Christmas shopping?
I seem to be a difficult person to shop for other than clothing and such everyday items. I have hinted at some books I might need on previous holidays. But I found nothing much this time around. The "regular" on line store suggests items for me, and this popped up:
Peterson Reference Guide to Sparrows of North America (Peterson Reference Guides) Hardcover – March 19, 2019 Rick Wright.

I will certainly get it in March, as there is only one good sparrows book in print. But won't work for Christmas unless you just print a picture of the cover and order now for march for your family birder.
Several books on hawks appeared this year, look through them at the local bookstore. The one worth mentioning is Wheeler "Birds of Prey West." Be sure to get the West, as raptors are divided by the Mississippi, so we are West. I keep telling the bookstore they have the wrong one on the shelf. It has somewhat chunky looking pictures, illustrations, rather than the photos of the previous Wheeler authored book.
I have the Crossley guide to raptors with the large pages and the multiple images of the birds "flying" on the page (actually photoshopped into one picture). I find that it did not add that much to the more broad Crossley guide to all the birds of N America. Which I do recommend, but is bulky to carry.
For bird songs, I find the phone apps work best. If you are out there and hear birds singing, there are devices to carry in your pocket to record the birds song. If the bird is loud enough, I've used the phone or camera to record the song. Not going to explain the devices, but look for ones that are simple to use and just make an mp3 sound recording that you can copy to your computer, then upload to eBird as you edit your list at home.
Desperate for the birder out of town and still no gift? Send a bird calendar from the bookstore or "online store for everything." We also have a Nebraska Master Naturalist calendar that you can get at Pioneers park for example.
Esa Jarvi, Lincoln

Back to top
Date: 12/11/18 5:19 am
From: <jfreeborn58...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Re: Lake Wanahoo Trumpeter Swan
Forgot to mention the eagle pair were perched near their nest across the road north of the lake as well. Hadn’t seen them for awhile.

------------------------------------
Posted by: <jfreeborn58...>

Date: 12/10/18 8:29 am
From: 'Gubanyi,Joe' <Joseph.Gubanyi...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] recent BOL sightings and Seward-BOL CBC
There have been a number of good sightings at BOL in December including red-shouldered hawk, glaucous gull, Iceland gull, double-crested cormorant, American white pelican, and a mountain bluebird most recently to mention a few. The Seward-BOL CBC is this Saturday and all of BOL is in the circle. We divide BOL into three blocks because there is so much to cover and even doing that, it takes a lot of time covering the blocks. You can see a map of the circle on the NOU website http://noubirds.org/Activities/CBC.aspx. All three blocks have people working them who have worked the area before. The problem is that it is difficult to chase the rare sightings because there is so much area to cover. I am sending this email out to see if someone who is not currently assigned a block would like to spend a couple of hours at BOL on Saturday helping find some of the recent rarities posted on ebird. If you are interested, please email me back or text me. I will give you details about the count including who is covering the blocks at BOL. I would have you coordinate with the person(s) who are assigned blocks at BOL so that we don't double count species. Mountain bluebird would be a new species for the count and the last time we had a glaucous gull was 1994.

Joe Gubanyi

Denton

402-641-4642

Back to top
Date: 12/10/18 6:45 am
From: Allen <allenreyer...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Bellevue area
Took a Sunday drive to check area lakes. Lake Manawa and the base lake are both completely frozen over, with nothing on them. Of course, the river is open. Saw 4 Common Mergansers on the river, as well as one Bald Eagle. Out by the base lake, had a Northern Harrier and a half dozen Meadowlark sp.

Just now, I had a juvi. White-crowned Sparrow at my feeder. First one I have seen this winter.

Not in ebird, except for the WCSP.

Al Reyer
Bellevue, NE

Sent from my iPad

------------------------------------
Posted by: Allen <allenreyer...>

Date: 12/10/18 4:34 am
From: <jfreeborn58...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Lake Wanahoo Trumpeter Swan
Hi - Not sure if it is late in the season for it, but yesterday (12-9) at 1245 my wife and I were observing a lone Trumpeter Swan in with a small group of ducks, coots, and 1 white snow goose. Easily visible from the southern, west side of the lake. Out near the trees in the lake that follow the old flooded creek line. I was also surprised to see how much of the lake has frozen over in just the last couple days. People were out ice fishing already. A report was submitted to eBird with a couple so-so photos.

Joe Freeborn, Wahoo

Sent from my iPad

------------------------------------

Date: 12/8/18 9:52 pm
From: Justin Rink <spindalis79...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Prairie Falcon Over Midtown- 12/08
  Today at Indian Creek Nursery while tying a tree on a customer's SUV, I happened to be looking skyward and noticed a fairly large-bodied pale falcon heading southward.
  The bird was overall pale grayish with dull-edged primaries and a rather nondescript whitish tail.  What really stood out on this bird was the dark axillaries against the otherwise pale underwing.   The light at around 4:30 pm was perfect for a ventral viewing of the PRAIRIE FALCON as it soared over the property.
  You may (or may not) recollect that last year a bird I hypothesized could have been a Prairie Falcon also flew over Indian Creek Nursery around this same time of year.  However this bird was very backlit, and rather quick for me to obtain a conclusive ID.
  Speaking of falcons, the Indian Creek Nursery AM. KESTREL that spends the winter around the vicinity was first spotted on 12/06.
  On 11/30 an intriguing female GOLDENEYE with a yellow bill was observed and photographed at Lakeside Pond (171st and W. Center).  However upon discussing the ID with Joel, we came to the conclusion that this is nothing but a yellow-billed COMMON GOLDENEYE as there was nothing unusual about the head or bill shape of this bird.  Joel also informed me that yellow-billed female Common Goldeneye comprise as much as 1-2% of the wintering population.
Good birding.
Justin RinkMidtown Omaha, Douglas Co., <NEspindalis79...>

Back to top
Date: 12/8/18 3:15 pm
From: Steve Morris <mstev4...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] varied thrush
I went on the nature hike at Bader park this morning.We didn't see a lot but there were 2 swans on the platte river.  Bill Whitney told me about a Varied thrush  at a neighbors house. Orvin Bontrager at 1717 N st told me he hadn't seen it for a few days but I could look. It was under the next door neighbors feeder. He doesn't mind people looking for it and you can watch from 18th st behind his house by the alley.   Steve Morris  Grand Island

Back to top
Date: 12/7/18 6:10 am
From: Mark Brogie <mabrogie...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] ANOTHER #300 IN 2018 - JOEL JORGENSEN
Congratulations go out to JOEL JORGENSEN for attaining #300 for 2018 in Nebraska.

ICELAND GULL AT BRANCHED OAK - LANCASTER CO. - 12.05.18

Mark A. Brogie
Creighton, NE

Back to top
Date: 12/6/18 3:55 pm
From: 'Elliott Bedows' <ebedows...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Fontenelle Forest
Hi everyone,

I took another beautiful walk in the Forest today and like yesterday's
stroll, the winter wonderland-like beatuty of the Forest overshadowed the
birds that I saw. Nonetheless, I did see a few noteworthy species. Today,
while hiking north lowland trails {and on the ice-free Missouri River}I saw:

Red-headed Woodpeckers [4]; Pileated Woodpecker [1]; Barred Owl [2]; Com.
Mergansers [10]; Com. Goldeneye [2], and both Wht-cheecked Geese and
Mallards. Also took a quick look along So. Stream Tr. where the Sparrow
flock I saw yesterday (containing Song & Swamp Sparrows) was still present,
though I failed to see any Kingfishers today.

Elliott Bedows

Bellevue, Sarpy Co.

Back to top
Date: 12/5/18 5:16 pm
From: 'Elliott Bedows' <ebedows...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Fonteneele Forest, Sarpy Co.
Hi Everyone,

This afternoon I took a delightful walk thru Fontenelle Forest hiking trails
south of Gifford Rd. The Hidden Lk - Redbud loop was awesome,
scenery-wise, but aweful, birding-wise as nary a bird was seen, although
several of the usual suspects were heard. Not much along Marsh Tr. either.
But along So. Stream Tr. where the moving, open water served as a mini-oasis
I saw the following:

Ea. Bluebird [2]; Amer. Tree sparrow [20]; Song Sparrow [3] and Swamp
Sparrow [2]. The Belted Kingfisher pair that I saw last Tues. was still
active near Gifford Rd. but I failed to see any Red-headed Woodpeckers's
today.

Elliott Bedows

Bellevue, Sarpy Co.

Back to top
Date: 12/5/18 2:08 pm
From: Allen <allenreyer...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Sarpy County yard birds
Cindy just spotted a Pileated WP feeding in the trees behind the house. So far, he hasn't come to my feeders. I do have a pair of Carolina Wrens that I saw yesterday and today, as well as Tufted Titmouse and RB Nuthatch. On Sunday, at 5 pm, a Barred Owl landed on my back deck and then flew down to the birdbath. It stayed for 1 1/2 hours, watching under my feeders. Hope it got all of the mice. Yesterday afternoon, a Cooper's had lunch behind my neighbors. Couldn't tell what he was eating.

Not in ebird.

Al Reyer
Bellevue, NE

Sent from my iPad

------------------------------------

Date: 12/4/18 10:05 pm
From: Clem Klaphake <ckavian...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Fwd: eBird Report - Base Lake, Dec 4, 2018
Always interesting how different lakes or bodies of water freeze over or
don't. I stopped at the Base Lake today ( Sarpy County)
and found it completely open or unfrozen or iced. Whenever unfrozen
this lake has oodles of Common Goldeneye and Lesser
Scaup. Well over 100 COGO today.

Clem Klaphake
Bellevue, NE

Date: 12/4/18 12:08 pm
From: 'leamarart' <leamarart...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: Re: [NEBirds] Pileated Woodpecker
How excitig!!! You should call Marsha Nyfeller and tell here, and she
would put it on Ebirds.

This noon we had a Pileated Woodpecker visit the suet feeder on our deck.

Kathleen Crawford-Rose

Bellevue

Sarpy Cnty

No ebirds

Back to top

Date: 12/4/18 7:19 am
From: 'Dinsmore, Stephen J [NREM]' <cootjr...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Lake McConaughy CBC.
Hi everyone-

The annual Lake McConaughy CBC will be held on Saturday, 29 December 2018. We'll meet on Friday, 28 December, at 6 p.m. at Valentino's Pizza in Ogallala to make area assignments. Please let me know beforehand if you plan to attend so I can finalize some local arrangements. This is a great way to end your 2018 Nebraska bird list and it is always an exciting count.

Steve
**********
Stephen J. Dinsmore
Department of Natural Resource Ecology & Management
Iowa State University
209 Science II
Ames, IA 50011
Phone: 515-294-1348
E-mail: <cootjr...><mailto:<cootjr...>
Web: http://www.public.iastate.edu/~cootjr/

Back to top
Date: 12/3/18 2:51 pm
From: Jan Johnson <janbirder...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Rusty Blackbirds
I had a pair of Red-winged Blackbirds and a pair of Rusty Blackbirds in the yard today. This is the fourth time this fall I’ve had Rustys. Also had nine Western Meadowlarks on the south edge of the yard and we still have four Harris’s Sparrows daily.

A total of sixteen species today but no Red-breasted Nuthatch like yesterday. And it was pointed out to me I need to do a better job of proof-reading and catch the ‘corrections’ the self-check makes for me. It should have read he flew and landed on my gloved hand and not 10” from my face!

No ebird

Jan Johnson
Rural Wakefield, Dixon County
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bird-brained-quilter/

Back to top
Date: 12/2/18 12:32 pm
From: Jan Johnson <janbirder...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Red-breasted Nuthatch experience
I just had the coolest experience ever! I was outside chipping ice and snow from two feeders I’d forgotten this morning when a Red-breasted Nuthatch, which I didn’t even know I had around, landed on top of the feeder I was cleaning. I held perfectly still and a second later he flew over and landed on my glasses bed hand totally unafraid! After a few seconds he flew back to the top of the feeder and then to the niger feeder. WOW is all I can say!

Jan Johnson
Wakefield, Dixon County
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bird-brained-quilter/

------------------------------------
Posted by: Jan Johnson <janbirder...>

Date: 12/1/18 4:58 pm
From: 'Lanny and Robin' <snowbunting...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Saline Co
Hello Nebraska birders,

submitted to ebird

Friday November 23 and Saturday November 24 Robin and I looked around
Saline County for birds. I will show you a list of highlights
followed by the details of what we saw.

Bald Eagle (2)
Black-capped Chickadee (1)
Red-breasted Nuthatch (1)
Eastern Bluebird (5)
Cedar Waxwings (2)
Purple Finch (1)
Rusty Blackbird (1)
Brewer’s Blackbird (2)

Friday morning we drove to Saline County, after lunch we saw and heard
a Red-breasted Nuthatch in the Friend Cemetery. We saw two Cedar
Waxwings and a female Purple Finch at Willard L. Meyer Recreation
Area. Saturday we saw five Eastern Bluebirds at Tuxedo Park in
Crete. We saw two adult Bald Eagles fly over both Tuxedo Park and the
Crete Cemetery which touch each other. In the Crete Cemetery we saw a
Rusty Blackbird. After lunch we saw and Robin heard a Black-capped
Chickadee at the north edge of Schwisow WPA. At willard Meyer SRA we
saw two Brewer’s Blackbirds. The two blackbirds were all black with
yellow eyes, they were too small to be grackles. They’re heads were
too small and round to be grackles and they’re bills were too small
to be grackles.

Robin added two birds to her Saline County list, for a new total of
131. I also added two birds to my Saline County list, for a new total
of 130. The two birds that both of us added were the two blackbird
species.

May your birds be lifers and your troubles temporary.

good birding and goodbye,

Lanny

Lanny Randolph
2028 34th Rd.
Minden Nebraska
south central Nebraska
north central Kearney County
snowbunting(at)rcom-ne.com
308-216-0427

__._,_.___

Posted by: "Lanny and Robin" <snowbunting...>

__,_._,___

Back to top
Date: 11/29/18 8:26 pm
From: Paul Roisen <roisenp1950...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: Re: [NEBirds] Re: eBird alerts (rare bird) and NEbird postings--not a sighting
Thanks for that clarification, William. Stay safe and warm this weekend.
Looks like a doozy.

God Bless,

*Paul O. Roisen*
*Woodbury County, IA*
*Mobile 712-301-2817*

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 9:48 PM <sparvophile...> [NEBirds] <
<NEBirds...> wrote:

> I'll add a note concerning Paul's third paragraph, in which he suggests
> that we include specific location information in the general comments on an
> eBird post.
>
> In eBird, comments added to the entry for an individual species are always
> visible to the general public. However, users have the option of
> concealing their checklist comments or making them available to the public;
> and, at least at one time, the default was to conceal them.
>
> To make sure your checklist comments are visible to everyone, go into "My
> eBird Preferences", and, under the heading "Data Privacy", uncheck the box
> "Hide my checklist comments".
>
> William Flack
> Kearney

Back to top

Date: 11/29/18 2:32 pm
From: Paul Roisen <roisenp1950...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Posting whether to NEBirds for to eBirds are always exciting to receive and
in particular if it is a bird I do not have in the state or county or a
rare bird of anykind.

Most Nebraska birders do a really good job of posting sighting in a timely
manner and with some details about where the bird was seen. If the
details are confusing to the reader they can always contact the sender for
additional info via email

NOT SO for eBird. There is no way to contact the person who posted unless
you already know them and have contact information. It kind of goes
without saying that there will be people may possible wish to take the
opportunity to see something that has been posted on eBird. Since contact
with the the person who post is usually not possible it becomes crucial to
give good location information. This can be done specifically for the
bird you saw by including this info in the eBird posting (either under
"comments" in the heading of the post or by adding details for the species
(this means you could include location for each species that may be of
interested to others..

There have been several reports on the Glaucous Gull at Branched Oaks SRA
over the last several days and reports of Red-shouldered Hawks in two
separate locations. I would like to commend Tom Gannon for the details he
posted this AM detailing locations for the Glaucous Gull and the RS Hawk.
I have highlighted the details what will likely be helpful for anyone else
looking for these two birds (see below in *yellow*)

Glaucous Gull (Larus hyperboreus) (1)
- Reported Nov 29, 2018 07:39 by Tom Gannon
- Branched Oak SRA, Lancaster, Nebraska
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=40.9704362,-96.8676911&ll=40.9704362,-96.8676911
- Comments: "--FOY #301; imm.: huge near-all-light (whitish beige) gull w/
bicolored (beige w/ black-tipped) bill & pink legs; scoped, near mouth of
Area 11 bay; preview reported by others"

Red-shouldered Hawk (Buteo lineatus) (1)
- Reported Nov 29, 2018 07:39 by Tom Gannon
- Branched Oak SRA, Lancaster, Nebraska
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=40.9704362,-96.8676911&ll=40.9704362,-96.8676911
- Comments: "--Area 1, in tree near shore, by picnic shelter; immediately
flew , for good look at back/wings; continuing bird"

It would be nice to post the information to NEBirds as well since there a
quite a few birders who do not yet us eBird and thus do not receive rare
bird alerts from eBird. This would not be to difficult as the poster could
simple include his/her Checklist LINK into their NEBirds post. (Example:
- Checklist: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50296376) from Tom's post
above. *Anyone* can click on the link and they will be taken to Tom's
ebird checklist to get more information.

Seriously the following is NOT a criticism just an example to help all of
us in the future. RS Hawk a Fremont Lakes SRA Hotspot coordinates.
Photos showing a RS Hawk. However relocating it again in such large area
without little more specifics is pretty daunting. I will try for it if I
miss the one a Branched Oak but would have little faith in relocating it.
Fremont has Lake numbers and a few road names both of which would be
helpful.

It to me awhile, with guidance from experienced birders, to realize how
import good location directions are--especially for unusual birds--that
others will certainly wish to see as well.

Maybe I will be so blessed as to run into some of you tomorrow on my
chase. Strange as it may sound I have a list of 353 in Nebraska but I have
neither on those birds on my list.

God Bless,

*Paul O. Roisen*
*Woodbury County, IA*
*Mobile 712-301-2817*

Back to top
Date: 11/27/18 9:48 pm
From: Justin Rink <spindalis79...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Odd Goldeneye/ Belated C-c Sparrow, etc.
  Today I did a trip southward in Douglas Co. hitting the 168th St. lakes along the way. These included Bennington, Prairie View, Flanagan, and Ed Zorinsky.
  My last stop of the day was Lakeside Pond at 171st and West Center.  Here I found a rather intriguing appearing female GOLDENEYE spp.  The bird was more petite and stubbier billed than the surrounding female Common Goldeneye.  The bill itself was a pale grayish hue indicating a hatch-year bird.  The head also appeared more rounded, but due to consistent diving, the forehead shape was tough to judge.
  Some rather poorly digiscoped photos of the bird can be seen here...
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50264569

On Thanksgiving 11/22 I paid a visit to Wehrspann Lake.  At the Cornhusker Road access I did not detect anything unusual waterfowl-wise.  However, up the hill a bit from a fishing platform I ran into a group of WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS joining some other species to dine on some dogwood(?) berries.  Within the edge of this flock was a rather tardy CLAY-COLORED SPARROW.  The buffy face, ear coverts, and pale median stripe were quite evident, separating this individual from other Spizella species.
Photos of the bird can be seen here...
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50135362
I then made tracks to Lake Zorinsky where I found a rather odd looking gull..  This smudgy-necked and smudge eyed adult gull seemed just a bit larger than the Ring-billed Gulls surrounding it.  The mantle also appeared a smidgeon darker.  It also possessed a bright golden eye and a rather more slender paler bill.  Consensus is the bird was just a rather petite, slightly darker mantled female HERRING GULL.
    I had noticed on eBird that the juvenile BLACK-CROWNED-NIGHT-HERON that I had previously found on 11/07 and again on 11/14 was last observed and photographed as late as 11/21.  Attempts to relocate the Carter Lake straggler proved unsuccessful today.

Date: 11/27/18 9:31 pm
From: rjensen <rjensen...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: Re: [NEBirds] Bird ID help
It looks as though the picture didn’t attach. Sorry. I might try again
later if I have time.

Rita Jensen
Hooper NE

On 2018-11-27 12:33, rjensen <rjensen...> [NEBirds] wrote:
> Hi, I had a bird at my feeder a few days ago and was pretty sure it
> was
> a White-crowned Sparrow, but not positive so I compared it to a
> White-throated Sparrow. My photo shows a pinkish beak and no yellow
> markings on the face. Today I saw a bird in a bush that had very
> similar
> striping patterns but it had a yellow patch by it's eye making me
> believe today's bird is a White-throated Sparrow. Can you confirm from
>
> my picture that I had indeed seen a White-crowned Sparrow several days
>
> ago? This would mean that both species may be in the area. Any help is
>
> appreciated as I will be submitting my information to Project
> Feederwatch and want to be accurate.
>
> Rita Jensen
> Hooper, NE

> Links:
> ------
> [1]
> https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/NEBirds/conversations/messages/37251;_ylc=X3oDMTJxM3NhbGd1BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI5MDcwNDkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDY1Nzg3BG1zZ0lkAzM3MjUxBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3JwbHkEc3RpbWUDMTU0MzM0MzYwMw--?act=reply&messageNum=37251
> [2]
> https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/NEBirds/conversations/newtopic;_ylc=X3oDMTJlZTdnZmdjBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI5MDcwNDkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDY1Nzg3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA250cGMEc3RpbWUDMTU0MzM0MzYwMw--
> [3]
> https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/NEBirds/conversations/topics/37251;_ylc=X3oDMTM2Z3U3c2x1BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI5MDcwNDkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDY1Nzg3BG1zZ0lkAzM3MjUxBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTU0MzM0MzYwMwR0cGNJZAMzNzI1MQ--
> [4] https://yho.com/1wwmgg
> [5]
> https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/NEBirds/info;_ylc=X3oDMTJldDgwNDJyBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI5MDcwNDkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDY1Nzg3BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZnaHAEc3RpbWUDMTU0MzM0MzYwMw--
> [6]
> https://groups.yahoo.com/neo;_ylc=X3oDMTJkaWkzdThuBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI5MDcwNDkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDY1Nzg3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2dmcARzdGltZQMxNTQzMzQzNjAz
> [7] https://info.yahoo.com/privacy/us/yahoo/groups/details.html
> [8] https://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/terms/

------------------------------------
Posted by: rjensen <rjensen...>

Date: 11/27/18 3:53 pm
From: 'Elliott Bedows' <ebedows...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Sarpy Co.
Hi everyone,

I took a mid-day hike in Fontenelle Forest lowlands. Bird-wise, the few
notable bird sighting today were: Red-headed Woodpeckers [5], and that's in
addition to the three [3] that I saw along the Riverview Boardwalk on
Sunday; a pair of Kingfishers along Stream Tr.; a Towhee sp. along No.
Hidden Lk Tr.; several Song Sparrows and a Robin.

On thanksgiving day we had a Red-breasted Nuthatch at the suet and sunflower
seed feeders and our occational Carolina Wrens have reappeared following the
recent snow. Otherwise, it's just been the usual stuff...

Elliott Bedows

Bellevue, Sarpy Co.

Back to top

Date: 11/25/18 9:59 pm
From: Loren Padelford <lpdlfrd...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Bellevue Birds
We ventured out this afternoon to lakes around Bellevue.

Offutt Lake -
Black Scoter - 2
Common Goldeneye - approx. 250
Bald Eagle - 2 adults

Haworth Park -
Killdeer -1

Babs and Loren Padelford
Bellevue, NE
<lpdlfrd...>

Back to top
Date: 11/24/18 8:20 pm
From: Loren Padelford <lpdlfrd...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Offutt Lake, Bellevue

Late this afternoon the 2 Black Scoters and 3 Common Loons were still at the Base Lake. Also about 130 Common Goldeneye.

Babs and Loren Padelford
Bellevue, NE
<lpdlfrd...>

Back to top
Date: 11/24/18 8:14 pm
From: <sammanning19...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Long-tailed Duck - Cunningham Lake 11/24
This evening, I found a female Long-tailed Duck at Cunningham Lake in Omaha. She was swimming and foraging off the western shore of the lake, immediately off jetty at the north end of the access area, and I believe this is the Entrance 2 area. Other normal waterfowl were present as well as a single American White Pelican. The lake was also down 10-15 feet due to the lake being drained.

Sightings in eBird.

Sam Manning
Omaha, Douglas County, NE

Back to top
Date: 11/23/18 9:43 am
From: 'Elliott Bedows' <ebedows...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: RE: [NEBirds] Offutt Base Lake, Bellevue
Greg, if you see two ducks that look like female winter-plumaged Ruddy Ducks, look again - the Scoters look like Ruddy’s at first glance. Also, be patient. When I saw them they were mostly down feeding (at least out of sight) for a good while (15 min.) before I was able to on them; nearly as bad as the Loons that day.

Elliott Bedows

Bellevue

Date: 11/23/18 8:44 am
From: 'Greg Stoiber' <gregst7...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Thanks.

The scoters are about the same size as the Goldeneyes. Usually they are near the goldeneyes, but not always. When we’ve seen them, the 2 scoters have always been together. Yesterday they were with the Goldeneyes when we first spotted them and then they separated from the Goldeneyes but always stayed together.

Good luck!

Babs and Loren Padelford

Bellevue, NE

<lpdlfrd...> <mailto:<lpdlfrd...>

Date: 11/23/18 7:46 am
From: Loren Padelford <lpdlfrd...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Greg,

The scoters are about the same size as the Goldeneyes. Usually they are near the goldeneyes, but not always. When we’ve seen them, the 2 scoters have always been together. Yesterday they were with the Goldeneyes when we first spotted them and then they separated from the Goldeneyes but always stayed together.

Good luck!

Babs and Loren Padelford
Bellevue, NE
<lpdlfrd...>

> On Nov 22, 2018, at 11:22 PM, 'Greg Stoiber' <gregst7...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...> wrote:
>

> I’ve search for the Black Scoters over the past few days and miss them. Are they grouped with the Goldeneyes or swim separately. How is there size compared to the Goldeneyes?
>

> I’ve seen the Loons and Mergansers.
>

> Greg

Back to top

Date: 11/20/18 9:20 pm
From: Loren Padelford <lpdlfrd...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
This morning at 11:30 at the Base lake we saw:

Black Scoter - 2
Common Goldeneye - approx. 90
Bufflehead - 1
Common Loon - 3
Killdeer - 1
Golden-crowned Kinglet - l

Babs and Loren Padelford
Bellevue, NE
<lpdlfrd...>

Back to top
Date: 11/20/18 12:19 pm
From: Justin Rink <spindalis79...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Base Lake Black Scoters
The two aforementioned female-type BLACK SCOTERS are still present at
Base Lake in Sarpy Co.
Three basic plumaged COMMON LOONS are also occupying the basin.
Good birding.
Justin RinkMidtown OmahaDouglas Co., <NEspindalis79...>

__._,_.___

Posted by: Justin Rink <spindalis79...>

__,_._,___

Back to top
Date: 11/19/18 3:53 pm
From: Loren Padelford <lpdlfrd...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Just before noon we saw the two Black Scoters again at the Base Lake.

Other birds seen were:

Green-winged Teal - 6
Shoveler- 30
Common Goldeneye - approx. 80
Scaup sp. - 5
Common Loon - 3
Pied-billed Grebe - 4
Double-crested Cormorant - 1

Babs and Loren Padelford
Bellevue, NE
<lpdlfrd...>

Back to top
Date: 11/19/18 3:04 pm
From: Jerry Gieseking <jg3097...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Black Scoters
Thanks to the Paddleford’s for the heads-up on the Black Scoters. Lifer for me,better that it was checked off in Nebraska. Loon circled the lake several times which made for a really good morning. Pics included are iPhone /spotting scope hy-brids.

Back to top
Date: 11/19/18 11:35 am
From: Justin Rink <spindalis79...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: Re: [NEBirds] Fwd: eBird Report - Base Lake, Nov 18, 2018
Since I review the eBird reports for this county, I feel I am
qualified to respond to this.
A flagged species in eBird does not necessarily reflect a bird being
tardy. In the case of the Black Scoters, the duck is flagged because
most years it is uncommon statewide. (However in recent years BLSC has
become more expected). A flagged species such as this usually requires
extensive field notes, or better a photo or two. Since this bird is
sometimes confused with Ruddy Duck, photo documentation is the best
course of action.
Regarding the swans at Carter Lake, they usually do not start making
evening appearances until at least December.
Good birding.
Justin RinkMidtown OmahaDouglas Co., <NEspindalis79...>
On Nov 18, 2018 8:05 PM, "Clem Klaphake <ckavian...> [NEBirds]"
<NEBirds...> wrote:

Best birds were the 2 Black Scoters and Common Loons.  There
also were ducks coming and going while
I was at the lake.  Even the train's road crossing whistle
spooked some.   Best seen with a scope.

e-bird suggested it is late for Black Scoters - I have seen them
in mid-November in Sarpy and Cass Counties
quite often. They have been seen in several places in Iowa this
week as well.
Clem Klaphake
Bellevue, NE

Date: 11/19/18 8:07 am
From: Michael Bradley <m_scottbradley...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: Re: [NEBirds] Kramper Lake Scoters
Bill gave me too much credit...I had a Hooded Merg in my scope at the time. Big shout out to Bill for putting me directly on the Long-tailed Duck and the Black Scoter, which was a life bird! Thanks Bill, so glad you were there and willing to help!

M. Scott Bradley
Omaha, NE

> On November 17, 2018 at 6:24 PM "William Huser <billfhuser...> [NEBirds]" <NEBirds...> wrote:
>

> Sat. Nov. 17, Kramper Lake, 330-400pm:
> Black Scoter, 2 f/im.
> Long-tailed Duck, 1 juv.
> plus more than 1 dozen more common species.
>
> Also present, Scott Bradley, Omaha, was watching one scoter while I found a second across the lake. Both could be seen at the same time from the eastern shore. Long tailed Duck was with other divers in the northeastern part of the lake.
>
> Bill Huser
> South Sioux City

Join us on Facebook!