NEBirds
Received From Subject
3/26/24 11:27 am Gordon Warrick via groups.io <prubinus...> [NEBirds] hooded mergs near Valentine
3/26/24 8:46 am Jan Johnson <janbirder...> [NEBirds] Yard birds
3/26/24 8:41 am Paul Hubert <paulhubert123...> [NEBirds] 100s of gulls
3/26/24 8:14 am Jan Johnson <janbirder...> [NEBirds] Meeting Registrations
3/25/24 11:23 am David Cunningham <gopacgodc...> [NEBirds] Rain Crow weather conditions app
3/25/24 11:04 am Neva via groups.io <nevalcp...> Re: [NEBirds] Question for Wachiska Audubon members
3/24/24 8:28 am Robin Harding <pine2siskin4...> [NEBirds] Brewer's in Seward
3/22/24 2:27 pm Ross Silcock <silcock...> Re: [NEBirds] ID Request Please
3/22/24 1:31 pm Joe F. via groups.io <jfreeborn58...> Re: [NEBirds] ID Request Please
3/22/24 12:34 pm Jorgensen, Joel <Joel.Jorgensen...> Re: [NEBirds] ID Request Please
3/22/24 12:26 pm Carolyn J. Hall <c.j.hall...> Re: [NEBirds] ID Request Please
3/22/24 10:16 am Tobin Brown <tobinjbrown...> Re: [NEBirds] ID Request Please
3/22/24 10:11 am William Huser <billfhuser...> [NEBirds] Dakota County birds
3/22/24 10:09 am Joe Freeborn <jfreeborn58...> [NEBirds] ID Request Please
3/20/24 9:14 pm William Huser <billfhuser...> [NEBirds] Dixon County Birds
3/19/24 7:00 pm Edward Allen via groups.io <Sprallen...> Re: [NEBirds] Question for Wachiska Audubon members
3/19/24 6:20 pm Gubanyi,Joe <Joe.Gubanyi...> [NEBirds] tundra swans at Twin Lakes Seward Co
3/19/24 2:26 pm Joe F. via groups.io <jfreeborn58...> Re: [NEBirds] Question for Wachiska Audubon members
3/18/24 3:52 pm Tim Houghton <timhoughton...> Re: [NEBirds] Question for Wachiska Audubon members
3/18/24 2:20 pm Tana Clemens <tanaclem...> Re: [NEBirds] Question for Wachiska Audubon members
3/18/24 1:08 pm birder770 <bcrieke...> Re: [NEBirds] Question for Wachiska Audubon members
3/18/24 12:15 pm Barb via groups.io <rtlady1...> Re: [NEBirds] Question for Wachiska Audubon members
3/18/24 11:41 am Tim Houghton <timhoughton...> [NEBirds] Question for Wachiska Audubon members
3/17/24 12:35 pm Vicky Havelka via groups.io <vlhave...> Re: [NEBirds] Wachiska Audubon Woodcock trip at Pioneers Park
3/16/24 1:01 pm Paul Hubert <paulhubert123...> [NEBirds] Belted Kingfishers at B. Chute.
3/16/24 12:09 pm Paul Hubert <paulhubert123...> [NEBirds] Boyer Chute birds
3/15/24 7:46 pm Tim Houghton <timhoughton...> [NEBirds] Wachiska Audubon Woodcock trip at Pioneers Park
3/13/24 12:57 pm Don & Janis Paseka <paseka76...> [NEBirds] Annual Nebraska Bird Review Color Photo Issue
3/13/24 10:22 am Theresa Pella via groups.io <pella_t...> Re: [NEBirds] woodcocks Lincoln area?
3/13/24 9:26 am flyingcarlini via groups.io <flyingcarlini...> Re: [NEBirds] woodcocks Lincoln area?
3/12/24 2:14 pm Benjamin Gray <benjamincgray...> Re: [NEBirds] Sounds
3/12/24 2:13 pm Benjamin Gray <benjamincgray...> Re: [NEBirds] Sounds
3/12/24 12:16 pm Jorgensen, Joel <Joel.Jorgensen...> [NEBirds] NOU t-shirt offer
3/12/24 11:28 am Tobin Brown <tobinjbrown...> Re: [NEBirds] Sounds
3/12/24 10:36 am Paul Hubert <paulhubert123...> Re: [NEBirds] Sounds
3/12/24 10:11 am Art Check via groups.io <artsbirdbrain...> Re: [NEBirds] Sounds
3/12/24 7:29 am <bsiebler...> [NEBirds] Sounds
3/12/24 7:23 am Tobin Brown <tobinjbrown...> Re: [NEBirds] woodcocks Lincoln area?
3/10/24 1:28 pm Paul Hubert <paulhubert123...> [NEBirds] Sandhill cranes Washington Co.
3/10/24 12:34 am William Flack via groups.io <sparvophile...> [NEBirds] Barred Owl(s) in Frontier County
3/9/24 9:41 am Jan Johnson <janbirder...> [NEBirds] Swans
3/8/24 9:58 am DuaneS <djschw...> [NEBirds] Purple Finches
3/7/24 5:06 pm Tim Houghton <timhoughton...> [NEBirds] woodcocks Lincoln area?
3/6/24 6:14 am Gordon Warrick via groups.io <prubinus...> Re: [NEBirds] 12 mile camp?
3/6/24 4:41 am 't via groups.io <wmollhoff...> Re: [NEBirds] 12 mile camp?
3/5/24 8:05 pm Don and Shirley Maas <snowbirds2012...> [NEBirds] Tuesday Bird Walk – Tubac Golf Resort, Nature Center, Anza Trail - Tubac - 5-Mar-24; Journal – February Hawk Watch
3/5/24 6:08 pm Robin Harding <pine2siskin4...> [NEBirds] 12 mile camp?
3/5/24 6:13 am William Huser <billfhuser...> [NEBirds] Marsh Madness - waterfowl and others
3/4/24 7:19 am Badura, Laurel via groups.io <laurel_badura...> [NEBirds] Yellow-rumped warblers
3/3/24 6:01 pm Benjamin Gray <benjamincgray...> Re: [NEBirds] Woodcocks
3/3/24 5:58 pm Tim Houghton <timhoughton...> [NEBirds] Woodcocks
3/3/24 2:22 pm Robin Harding <pine2siskin4...> [NEBirds] Dawson Co. birds

Back to top
Date: 3/26/24 11:27 am
From: Gordon Warrick via groups.io <prubinus...>
Subject: [NEBirds] hooded mergs near Valentine
This morning a pair of hooded mergansers were on the edge of the Niobrara River next to Cornell Bridge (Fort Niobrara NWR).  Not sure how unusual this is, but I don't think I have seen any up this way in my time here.  Two pair of g.w. teal were also there.
Tardy report: A single male brown-headed cowbird at a bird feeder just south of Blair (Washington County) on February 24, 2024.  I think they arrived around Blair in early May when I was a kid (60s).

Back to top
Date: 3/26/24 8:46 am
From: Jan Johnson <janbirder...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Yard birds
I’ve had both a male Yellow-shafted and male Red-shafted No. Flicker in the yard all winter. This morning I was able to capture both in a single photo. I also had a lovely Fox Sparrow this morning.

Jan Johnson
Wakefield

Back to top
Date: 3/26/24 8:41 am
From: Paul Hubert <paulhubert123...>
Subject: [NEBirds] 100s of gulls
Flying over my workplace here in Omaha. Equidistant to Lake Cunningham and Walmart-it’d be interesting to know which one they pick.
Chip Hubert
Omaha

Back to top
Date: 3/26/24 8:14 am
From: Jan Johnson <janbirder...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Meeting Registrations
Just a reminder. If you plan to register for the spring meeting in Lincoln, PLEASE double check to make sure you’ve selected the meals you want before sending it thru to PayPal. I cannot correct errors at the meeting. Thank you!

Jan Johnson
NOU Treasurer

Back to top
Date: 3/25/24 11:23 am
From: David Cunningham <gopacgodc...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Rain Crow weather conditions app
Rain Crow is a good way to include weather condtions into the comments of
checklists during or post submittal. It is built specifically for an ebird
checklist. There are no advertisements. Users are limited in the number of
requests per day. The link below works in any browser. It can be used to go
back to previous dates.
https://raincrow.app/

PS. I have no relationship with this app.

V/R
Dave

Back to top
Date: 3/25/24 11:04 am
From: Neva via groups.io <nevalcp...>
Subject: Re: [NEBirds] Question for Wachiska Audubon members
Extra eMail notifications are fine. I can respond or ignore as needed.
Neva Pruess

Back to top
Date: 3/24/24 8:28 am
From: Robin Harding <pine2siskin4...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Brewer's in Seward
Nebraska birders,

On Saturday, March 23, Bill Flack and I birded in counties to the east of
Kearney. We enjoyed sunny and calm weather early in the morning. By
mid-morning the weather was breezy and partly cloudy. Late in the morning,
a little snow blew through but by the evening, the sky was clear again.
The wind, however, made it feel very chilly.

Our first stop was in Hamilton County and the Phillips sewage lagoon. This
time of the year and in this part of the State, there are Sandhill Cranes
everywhere so we saw many flying over. There were a few ducks on the
lagoon including a couple Northern Pintails, a couple scaup, some Mallards,
and a Green-winged Teal. We also heard a Killdeer. The road to the north
of the lagoon is passable but beyond that, it is deeply rutted. We saw a
couple Mourning Doves and the usual sparrows and juncos. We heard and saw
a couple Eastern Meadowlarks. Very close by, we heard and saw a Western
Meadowlark. It was fun comparing the two species so close together.

We moved on to Pioneer Trails near Aurora and found a Northern Shoveler, a
couple Mallards, a few Blue-winged Teal, some American Wigeon, Gadwalls and
Green-winged Teal. The mixed flocks of black birds are increasing in size.

In York County, at Recharge Lake, we saw a couple of Ring-necked Ducks and
a few shovelers, Mallards, Green-winged Teal, pintails, wigeon, and
Gadwalls.

In Seward County, at North Lake Basin, we found a large number of waterfowl
including a Redhead and a Snow Goose. We also saw pintails, Blue-winged
Teal, wigeon, scaup, Ring-necked Ducks, and Gadwalls. There were at least
a hundred Mallards and a couple hundred Green-winged Teal. Also one Bald
Eagle and a Killdeer. On the north side of the basin, we saw a large flock
of black birds including a few Yellow-headed Blackbirds.

We moved on to Tamora WPA and found a couple Wilson’s Snipe very close to
the road. At Straight Water WMA and found a couple kestrels, a red-tail
and a harrier. Just south of the WMA, along Superior Road, Bill spotted a
Brewer’s Blackbird in a corn field. It was an adult male in breeding
plumage. We were able to watch it for a couple minutes so we could be
certain that it was not a Rusty. It is a new Seward County bird for both
of us.

Our ultimate goal on this day was to look for Tundra Swans at Twin Lakes
WMA. We did not find the swans but we did find a couple Blue-winged Teal,
Ring-necked Ducks, Gadwalls, Buffleheads, a few Green-winged Teal, and
Gadwalls. We also saw several Ruddy Ducks and shovelers. There were also
four Cedar Waxwings.

At the Milford sewage lagoon, we watched an adult Bald Eagle harassing a
smaller raptor. We couldn’t positively identify the raptor that the eagle
was chasing. Usually, it’s the other way around, the smaller bird
harassing the larger raptor. On the edge of Milford, we saw another large
flock of black birds with one Yellow-headed Blackbird. At a small lake a
couple miles west of Milford, we saw a few shovelers, wigeons and
Blue-winged Teal.

At the Beaver Crossing sewage lagoon, we saw a couple shovelers and scaup.
There was also one Greater White-fronted Goose in a small flock of
Canadas. Back in York County, at Henderson’s sewage lagoon, we saw some
scaup, Gadwalls, Ring-necked Ducks and pintails. There were almost fifty
Mallards and wigeon. There were also nine Snow Geese in the field just
north of the lagoon.

Back in Hall County, we drove Shoemaker Road between link 40C and highway
11 looking for Short-eared Owls. We didn’t find an owl but we did see
seven Greater Prairie-Chickens flying over a corn field.

The weather could have been better but what can you expect in March? All
of these sightings are in ebird.

Robin Harding
Kearney County

Back to top
Date: 3/22/24 2:27 pm
From: Ross Silcock <silcock...>
Subject: Re: [NEBirds] ID Request Please
Carolyn, just so I’m not missing something, I’m curious your two locations for breeding Sandhill Cranes? I’m aware of the pair at Hutton Sanctuary but am not sure of others, except possibly one on (another) private property west of Hutton.

Maybe best to reply off list at my email address below.

Thanks,
Ross

<silcock...><mailto:<silcock...>

Ross Silcock
Seasonal Reports Compiler
Nebraska Bird Review

Co-Author Birds of Nebraska- Online
https://birds.outdoornebraska.gov/

Date: 3/22/24 1:31 pm
From: Joe F. via groups.io <jfreeborn58...>
Thank you! It’s just the one bird I took the photos of. I think I ended up double posting on this if the mod would like to delete one. I didn’t think this post went thru right. Not too good at posting to the group. I usually just read everyone else’s cool stuff. 🤓

Joe

Back to top
Date: 3/22/24 12:34 pm
From: Jorgensen, Joel <Joel.Jorgensen...>
Sandhill Cranes have been observed at the upper end of Lake Wanahoo for a few years now and there is a breeding record here. An excerpt from the Sandhill Crane species account on the Birds of Nebraska – Online reads: https://birds.outdoornebraska.gov/sandhill-crane/

In Saunders Co, reports of adults from a wetland one mile north of Lake Wanahoo in 2017 were suggestive of breeding there; one was there 1 Jul and three on 25 Jul, followed by several reports of three through 12 Nov. Two brown adults were in the same area 21 Jun 2018, two were there 6 Aug 2019, and two were seen sporadically 31 Jul-1 Oct 2020. Two were seen in the wetlands to the north 25-28 Mar 2021 (Paula Hoppe, pers. comm.), but only one was seen through 8 May, suggesting a nesting attempt; breeding was finally confirmed with sighting of adults with a colt 13 Jun-19 Jul (Weldon and Paula Hoppe, eBird.org). Two were in the area 5 Jul-1 Aug 2022 and three 18 Aug-24 Sep 2023.

This is likely the same pair returning for another year. Hopefully they will nest again this year, if conditions are favorable. Nesting Sandhill Cranes can be surprisingly elusive.

Joel

Joel Jorgensen
Wildlife Division Assistant Administrator – Research (Interim – until 8 April)
Nongame Bird Program Manager
Nebraska Game and Parks Commission
2200 N. 33rd 68503 | 402-471-5440
<joel.jorgensen...>

________________________________

Date: 3/22/24 12:26 pm
From: Carolyn J. Hall <c.j.hall...>

Date: 3/22/24 10:16 am
From: Tobin Brown <tobinjbrown...>

On Fri, Mar 22, 2024 at 12:09 PM Joe Freeborn <jfreeborn58...> wrote:

> Could I get an ID on this one please? I took these around 1100 today at
> Lake Wanahoo.
>
> Sorry the photos aren’t the best. It was a ways from me as it flew by and
> it set down near the north end of the lake but I couldn’t see it.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Joe Freeborn
> Wahoo, NE

Back to top
Date: 3/22/24 10:11 am
From: William Huser <billfhuser...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Dakota County birds
*Wednesday, March 20, 2024*
Crystal Cove Park, South Sioux City, NE

Red-breasted Merganser, 2 females, FOY Left after 5 minutes.

*Thursday, March 21, 2024*
Kramper Lake

Turkey Vulture, 1 FOY see photos showing colorful facial skin
Red-tailed Hawk (calurus/abieticola), 1 see splotchy breast band and
spotted wing linings

*Friday, March 22, 2024*
Crystal Cove Park

Great Blue Heron, 1 FOY

Bill Huser
South Sioux City

Back to top

Date: 3/20/24 9:14 pm
From: William Huser <billfhuser...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Dixon County Birds
*Sunday, Mar 17, 2024*
*Buckskin Hills vicinity*

Greater Prairie Chicken, 6

*Monday, Mar 18, 2024*
*8845 Road and 586 Ave pond*

8 species of ducks including
American Wigeon, 53
One of which was a *'Storm Wigeon,'* a male with extensive white on its
head, both on the crown and on the cheek. This condition is thought to be a
genetic variant and is not due to leucism, a pigment disorder. Estimates of
the occurrence of this rare variant are 1 in every 500-1000 male American
Wigeons. Note in one of the attached photos it is next to a slow to molt
American Wigeon with hardly *any* white on its head.

Bill Huser
South Sioux City, NE

Back to top
Date: 3/19/24 7:00 pm
From: Edward Allen via groups.io <Sprallen...>
I would be delighted to get notices of birding trips, even if they are on short notice. I am now retired and can order my time as I wish.

Edward <Allensprallen...> County
On Monday, March 18, 2024 at 01:41:16 PM CDT, Tim Houghton <timhoughton...> wrote:

This is my only way to reach Wachiska members, so I hope it's ok to use this list. Won't happen often.   Would you mind receiving an (extra) email from Wachiska if it meant that you would be informed about a trip that might be short notice? Or an email about a change to an upcoming trip that had been previously advertised in the Bulletin? Would this kind of essential trip information for interested Wachiska birders outweigh the burden of hitting "delete" for those who aren't interested in receiving timely trip information?   Perhaps "reply all" is the way to go. Thanks for your help.   Tim

Back to top
Date: 3/19/24 6:20 pm
From: Gubanyi,Joe <Joe.Gubanyi...>
Subject: [NEBirds] tundra swans at Twin Lakes Seward Co
Stopped by Twin Lakes on my way to Seward this morning and saw the following waterfowl. I drove in on the north end off of Adams Rd.

tundra swan - 5
Canada geese - 2
mallard - 2
American wigeon -5
ring-necked duck -2
also had two lesser scaup on the small pond just east of the entrance along Adams
Joe Gubanyi

Back to top
Date: 3/19/24 2:26 pm
From: Joe F. via groups.io <jfreeborn58...>
I’d be happy to get messages about field trips. I’m really hoping to get back into birding more often now. Thanks!

Joe Freeborn
Wahoo

Back to top
Date: 3/18/24 3:52 pm
From: Tim Houghton <timhoughton...>
Hi Tana, tomorrow night should be good for woodcock, pleasant and not too
windy. Familiarize yourself w the initial "peent" sound and other
feather sounds. Pioneers 500 feet or so north of visitors center on
trail near low line of trees should work. Or Pawnee Rd at bridge a bit
north of Lake Cunningham might also still be active. Remember to check
sunset time. They start 10-30 minutes after sunset. Good luck. Tim

On 03/18/2024 4:19 PM CDT Tana Clemens <tanaclem...> wrote:
Hi i would love it. Im not a member of W. but am Sad to have
missed the woodcock outing. It would be a lifer for me. Appreciate
you all Thank you Tana/ Douglas county Ne.

_._,_._,_

[<lists...>]
_._,_._,_

Back to top

Date: 3/18/24 1:08 pm
From: birder770 <bcrieke...>
I would be glad to get an email about field trips.

On Mon, Mar 18, 2024 at 1:41 PM Tim Houghton <timhoughton...>
wrote:

> This is my only way to reach Wachiska members, so I hope it's ok to use
> this list. Won't happen often.
>
> Would you mind receiving an (extra) email from Wachiska if it meant that
> you would be informed about a trip that might be short notice? Or an email
> about a change to an upcoming trip that had been previously advertised in
> the Bulletin? Would this kind of essential trip information for interested
> Wachiska birders outweigh the burden of hitting "delete" for those who
> aren't interested in receiving timely trip information?
>
> Perhaps "reply all" is the way to go. Thanks for your help.
>
> Tim

Back to top
Date: 3/18/24 12:15 pm
From: Barb via groups.io <rtlady1...>
I don't mind getting an extra email.

Date: 3/17/24 12:35 pm
From: Vicky Havelka via groups.io <vlhave...>
Subject: Re: [NEBirds] Wachiska Audubon Woodcock trip at Pioneers Park
I was there Tim!  Thank you so much for your help and it was a blast!
Vicky Havelka

Back to top
Date: 3/16/24 1:01 pm
From: Paul Hubert <paulhubert123...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Belted Kingfishers at B. Chute.
I knew I was forgetting something...
I saw several groups of Belted kingfishers up and down the chute. I
couldn't tell if there were two or three or four birds in each group, but
they appeared to be fighting over territory, flying fast at each other and
chattering loudly. It could have been the same group of birds I saw at
different locations. Its not unusual to see one or two kingfishers at the
chute in the Winter, but this was a definite uptick in their numbers and
noise.
They became a lot less evident about mid-morning when more people showed up.
Chip Hubert
Omaha

Back to top
Date: 3/16/24 12:09 pm
From: Paul Hubert <paulhubert123...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Boyer Chute birds
Saturday March 16,
Fellow birders,
I was at Boyer Chute last weekend. It's located along the banks of the
Missouri river in Washington county, East of Fort Calhoun. I went again
today and I saw several new species, to wit:
Several Phoebes were singing and posing near the pedestrian bridge, and a
couple or three more at the defunct fishing pier.
White-crowned sparrows, also near the pedestrian bridge. They were on the
sunny side of dense brushpiles in the early morning chill, copping some
solar love.
(Some American Tree sparrows are still around.)
A handful of Eastern Bluebirds were singing up and down the dry chute bed
(the Army Corps of Engineers is raising the water level in the Mizzou this
week, so I expect the chute to have water in it next week.)
Several Killdeer were in the chute bed and a handfull flew over, all before
about 9:00 am. Didn't see any after that.
Last week the banks of the chute were densely populated with Red-wing
blackbirds, evenly spaced along the bank, presumably staking out their
territory. They were still staked out today, but there were also several
groups of about a dozen Red-wings in trees, and I saw several large flocks
of blackbirds in the morning. So I'm guessing a second wave is passing
through.
Chip Hubert
Omaha.

Back to top
Date: 3/15/24 7:46 pm
From: Tim Houghton <timhoughton...>
We started out with 3 people (doing general birding) then up to around 10 at sunset to watch and hear Woodcocks north of the Visitors Center.

It was a great show. At least 4 woodcocks. Wonderful views of flight displays and great sounds. Very cool in the clear evening to get binos on a bird and watch its long flight up and around. For some people the bird was a lifer. Also, several times one bird would land on the path 50 feet away, and this afforded many excellent photo opportunities. A real blast.

Tim Houghton

Back to top
Date: 3/13/24 12:57 pm
From: Don & Janis Paseka <paseka76...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Annual Nebraska Bird Review Color Photo Issue
NEBirders,

It's time for the 17th annual color issue of the Nebraska Bird Review, the
quarterly journal of the Nebraska Ornithologists' Union. We are requesting
good quality bird photos to be published in an upcoming issue.

This is not a photo contest, but there are rules:

1. Images must be of wild, free-flying birds and must have been taken in
Nebraska. Photos taken in previous years are allowed.

2. Images must be of good quality: sharp focus and high enough resolution
to look good when printed. *Please send a high-resolution version, not a
thumbnail*.

3. The subjects don't need to be rare birds, but images that document
something interesting about a species (behavior, date, nesting, etc.) are
more likely to be selected.

****As you may have heard, the American Ornithological Society has decided
to replace the common names of all bird species which are named after
people with names that are descriptive of the birds' appearance, voice,
behavior, habitat, food, or geographic range. *

*We make no editorial comment on this decision, but our special request
this year is for photos of birds whose common names include names of peop*
le.

4. *A maximum of 5 images per photographer may be submitted.* Please do
not expect us to look through dozens of photos you have posted on a website.

5. The following information must be provided with each image:

* SPECIES DATE PHOTO WAS TAKEN SPECIFIC LOCATION COUNTY*

6. The final selection of images to be published is solely the decision of
the NBR editors (see #3).

Please email your images to me at

<paseka76...>

or send me a URL for images posted on a website. If you have a number of
photos posted, please direct me to the specific 5 images you are suggesting
for publication.

Contributors will be credited in the photo captions.

DEADLINE: JULY 15, 2024.

Thanks,

Janis Paseka
Ames NE
Editor, The Nebraska Bird Review

Back to top
Date: 3/13/24 10:22 am
From: Theresa Pella via groups.io <pella_t...>
Subject: Re: [NEBirds] woodcocks Lincoln area?
I’ve been told Bobcat Prairie near Martell has some Woodcocks. There’s an open space between prairie and wooded area they display in.

Theresa Pella
Lincoln NE

Back to top
Date: 3/13/24 9:26 am
From: flyingcarlini via groups.io <flyingcarlini...>
Thanks Tobin for the heads up!  Your audio recording of that timberdoodle is outstanding, had never before heard that little "whoop" (inhale?) that precedes the peent.  Super cool pics too, thanks for sharing.  Last night there were 2 peenting across the road from the nature center building in the fenced area to the south, and a couple birders that were in the area of your encounter to the north said they possibly heard 2 there so maybe as many as 4 displaying males at that location?  Just goes to show how even a modest-sized patch of unmowed tallgrass prairie can provide essential habitat for some really special scarce species.
-Shari Schwartz & John Carlini, Lincoln
On Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 9:23:26 AM CDT, Tobin Brown <tobinjbrown...> wrote:

They've been seen at Pioneers park near the nature center for the past few days! I only saw one individual last night, but it was doing the full display and peenting. Others have seen 2 or 3.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S164477676

Tobin Brown
Lincoln, NE

On Thu, Mar 7, 2024 at 7:06 PM Tim Houghton <timhoughton...> wrote:

Anyone with woodcocks peenting/performing in the area of the city of Lincoln?   Tim Houghton

Back to top
Date: 3/12/24 2:14 pm
From: Benjamin Gray <benjamincgray...>
Subject: Re: [NEBirds] Sounds

Back to top
Date: 3/12/24 2:13 pm
From: Benjamin Gray <benjamincgray...>

Back to top
Date: 3/12/24 12:16 pm
From: Jorgensen, Joel <Joel.Jorgensen...>
Subject: [NEBirds] NOU t-shirt offer
The Nebraska Ornithologists' Union is celebrating its 125th Anniversary in 2024. The spring meeting will be held 3-5 May 2024 in Lincoln and registration details will be announced very soon. As part of the meeting, we are teaming up with the Nebraska Birding Bowl (https://birdtrail.outdoornebraska.gov/birdingbowl/) to have a kickoff weekend for that monthlong competition. In addition, the NOU is offering a special t-shirt design created by NOU member Emily Brhel. Details on how to pre-order t-shirts are available in the previous addition of the NOU newsletter found here: https://noubirds.org/NOU/Newsletter.aspx Those details are also included in the attached PDF. You do not need to be a member of the NOU to pre-order a t-shirt or attend the spring meeting, but payment must be received prior to or at the time of delivery of the t-shirt. More details will be shared for those that pre-order. Again, more details about the spring meeting should be available very soon. Thank you.

Joel

Joel Jorgensen
NOU President
Lincoln, NE

Back to top
Date: 3/12/24 11:28 am
From: Tobin Brown <tobinjbrown...>
I like using Merlin around starlings. I've heard them mimic Killdeer,
Red-tailed Hawks, Bluejays, Waxwings, and others, helping to demonstrate
why Merlin IDs should be taken with a grain of salt.

If you're still unsure of the ID, you can upload the audio to iNaturalist
<https://www.inaturalist.org/> and community reviewers can take a stab at
identifying it.

Tobin Brown
Lincoln, NE

On Tue, Mar 12, 2024 at 12:36 PM Paul Hubert <paulhubert123...>
wrote:

> The Merlin app has been good to me. It mistakes our local Summer Tanagers
> for orioles, but all the other songs I’ve fed it have been correctly
> identified.
> Chip Hubert
> Omaha
>

> On Mar 12, 2024, at 12:11 PM, Art Check via groups.io <artsbirdbrain=
> <yahoo.com...> wrote:
>
> Cornell lab of ornithology has a ton of recordings
> Of you have any idea of the type of bird it was pull that species up and
> play their recordings of it
> Art Check
> Nevada
> Or you can use Merlin bird app which can be a great adjunct but wouldn’t
> use it as the soul resource as it can make mistakes
>
> On Mar 12, 2024, at 9:29 AM, <bsiebler...> wrote:
>
> How to identify a bird if I have a recording of the bird’s sound?

Back to top
Date: 3/12/24 10:36 am
From: Paul Hubert <paulhubert123...>

Back to top
Date: 3/12/24 10:11 am
From: Art Check via groups.io <artsbirdbrain...>

Back to top
Date: 3/12/24 7:29 am
From: <bsiebler...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Sounds

Date: 3/12/24 7:23 am
From: Tobin Brown <tobinjbrown...>
They've been seen at Pioneers park near the nature center for the past few
days! I only saw one individual last night, but it was doing the full
display and peenting. Others have seen 2 or 3.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S164477676

Tobin Brown
Lincoln, NE

On Thu, Mar 7, 2024 at 7:06 PM Tim Houghton <timhoughton...> wrote:

> Anyone with woodcocks peenting/performing in the area of the city of
> Lincoln?
>
> Tim Houghton

Back to top
Date: 3/10/24 1:28 pm
From: Paul Hubert <paulhubert123...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Sandhill cranes Washington Co.
Nebraska Bird Watchers,
Four Sandhill cranes flew over me at Boyer Chute this morning (Washington
county, East of Blair, right on the mizzou.)
A poor quality video should be on Nebraska Birds facebook group.
Chip Hubert
Omaha.

Back to top
Date: 3/10/24 12:34 am
From: William Flack via groups.io <sparvophile...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Barred Owl(s) in Frontier County
Fellow birders—

Pleased to report an encounter with 1-2 Barred Owls yesterday afternoon (March 9) along Trail 16 at Medicine Creek Reservoir northwest of Cambridge.

I was walking the trail at about 4:30 p.m. CST when I heard a total of eight well-formed "who cooks for you; who cooks for you-all" calls coming from the woods to the south.  Six of the calls were moderately loud; the other two were fainter and seemed a bit higher-pitched.  I suspect that these were two different birds, but there was no overlap in the calls, and, as best I could tell, they were coming from the same direction; so it may have been a single bird, varying its call or just sounding fainter when its head was turned away from me.

I've heard Barred Owl before at this same location, on May 5, 2018.  At that time, there were definitely two birds.  I think this is the farthest upstream in the Republican drainage that the bird's been reported.

My eBird report's at https://ebird.org/checklist/S164281334

William Flack
Kearney

Back to top
Date: 3/9/24 9:41 am
From: Jan Johnson <janbirder...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Swans
Did a bit of pond checking this morning in northern Dixon County. Lots of Mallards and Gadwalls and Ring-necked Ducks on some of the ponds. The best find was 16 Trumpeter Swans on a pond one mile south of Hwy. 12 on 584 Ave. there was a group of 8 with 8 more scattered farther back. I tried but couldn’t find a Tundra amongst them. A lone Snow Goose, a single Hooded Merganser and six Common Merganser were also on the pond.

Jan Johnson
Wakefield

No eBird

Back to top
Date: 3/8/24 9:58 am
From: DuaneS <djschw...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Purple Finches
We have waited all winter to see purple finches and finally this morning, there were three at our feeders. (The feeder has repairs after some mischief by the squirrels.)
Kathy and Duane Schwery
Buccaneer Bay
Cass County

Back to top
Date: 3/7/24 5:06 pm
From: Tim Houghton <timhoughton...>
Subject: [NEBirds] woodcocks Lincoln area?

Date: 3/6/24 6:14 am
From: Gordon Warrick via groups.io <prubinus...>
Subject: Re: [NEBirds] 12 mile camp?
12 mile camp eventually became Smith Falls State Park.  It is 12 miles from Cornell Dam which was/is a common put-in point for canoers.  Dryland Aquatics had the lease for the site in the 80s, and named it such.  It was their primary get-out point for canoers.
On Wednesday, March 6, 2024, 06:41:29 AM CST, 't via groups.io <wmollhoff...> wrote:

Hi Robin
There is a place on my map about that distance from Valentine called the Bryan Bridge Senic Overlook on the Niobrara that might be it. Just a WAG (Wild Ankled Guess).BestWayne

On Tuesday, March 5, 2024 at 08:08:14 PM CST, Robin Harding <pine2siskin4...> wrote:

Nebraska birders,
I've been entering some of my old bird lists from 1992 into ebird.  I made a few bird lists at a place in Cherry County called 12 mile camp.  I can't remember where this place is located but it was somewhere along the Niobrara River.  It must have been between Valentine and the eastern border of Cherry County.  Lanny and I birded there in June of that year.  Have any of you heard of this place?
Robin HardingMinden, Nebraska

Back to top

Date: 3/5/24 8:05 pm
From: Don and Shirley Maas <snowbirds2012...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Tuesday Bird Walk – Tubac Golf Resort, Nature Center, Anza Trail - Tubac - 5-Mar-24; Journal – February Hawk Watch

Begin forwarded message:

> [...]
>

> Tubac Nature Center - 5-Mar-24 - 08:00 AM - 1.61 mile(s) - 1 hour(s), 57 minute(s) - Mikey
>
> 1 Inca Dove
> 2 White-winged Dove
> 4 Mourning Dove
> 1 Anna's Hummingbird
> 3 American White Pelican - White with black wingtip. Flying low along treeline, heading south
> 1 Cooper's Hawk
> 11 Gila Woodpecker
> 4 Ladder-backed Woodpecker
> 1 Black Phoebe
> 2 Say's Phoebe
> 3 Vermilion Flycatcher
> 3 Common Raven
> 3 Bridled Titmouse
> 1 Verdin
> 7 White-breasted Nuthatch
> 4 Bewick's Wren
> 2 Phainopepla
> 7 House Finch
> 4 Lesser Goldfinch
> 2 Song Sparrow
> 4 Abert's Towhee
> 1 Orange-crowned Warbler
> 7 Yellow-rumped Warbler
> 1 Wilson's Warbler
> 4 Northern Cardinal
>
> Number of Taxa: 25
>

> Membership in the Tubac Nature Center is on a calendar year basis.
> We are always looking to expand our activities and we ask you to join the
> Tubac Nature Center by going to our MEMBERSHIP PAGE (https://tubacnaturecenter.us20.list-manage.com/track/click?u=cbdf8ce4a70290f6e3cc780bc&id=f55b403e26&e=67bafa43a4).
> Your support is greatly appreciated.

> (https://tubacnaturecenter.us20.list-manage.com/track/click?u=cbdf8ce4a70290f6e3cc780bc&id=665889533d&e=67bafa43a4)

> (https://tubacnaturecenter.us20.list-manage.com/track/click?u=cbdf8ce4a70290f6e3cc780bc&id=78437f1d25&e=67bafa43a4)

> (https://tubacnaturecenter.us20.list-manage.com/track/click?u=cbdf8ce4a70290f6e3cc780bc&id=8430e77725&e=67bafa43a4)

> (https://tubacnaturecenter.us20.list-manage.com/track/click?u=cbdf8ce4a70290f6e3cc780bc&id=f7ee757941&e=67bafa43a4)

> Copyright © 2024 Tubac Nature Center, All rights reserved.
> You are receiving this email because you opted in via our website.
>
> https://tubacnaturecenter.com/
>
> Our mailing address is:
>
> Tubac Nature Center
>
> 50 Bridge Road
>
> PO Box 5123
> Tubac, Az 85646
>
> Add us to your address book (https://tubacnaturecenter.us20.list-manage.com/vcard?u=cbdf8ce4a70290f6e3cc780bc&id=8566eba162)
>
> Forward to a Friend by clicking the link below:
> https://us20.forward-to-friend.com/forward?u=cbdf8ce4a70290f6e3cc780bc&id=6e44aed8de&e=67bafa43a4
>
> Want to change how you receive these emails?
> You can update your preferences (https://tubacnaturecenter.us20.list-manage.com/profile?u=cbdf8ce4a70290f6e3cc780bc&id=8566eba162&e=67bafa43a4&c=6e44aed8de) or unsubscribe from this list (https://tubacnaturecenter.us20.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=cbdf8ce4a70290f6e3cc780bc&id=8566eba162&t=b&e=67bafa43a4&c=6e44aed8de).

Back to top

Date: 3/5/24 6:13 am
From: William Huser <billfhuser...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Marsh Madness - waterfowl and others
*Saturday, M**arch 2, 2024*
*Ponca State Park, north unit on the Missouri River:*
Greater White-fronted Goose, estimated 6000
Snow Goose, estimated 1000
Canada, Cackling and Ross's Geese in smaller numbers
13 species of ducks

*Sunday, March 3, 2024*
*Buckskin Hills WMA* (SW of Newcastle, NE)
Golden Eagle, 2
Greater Prairie Chicken, 4 displaying males
(11 reported on the lek earlier in the week)

Ed Brogie, Wayne, NE

Date: 3/4/24 7:19 am
From: Badura, Laurel via groups.io <laurel_badura...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Yellow-rumped warblers
I was running along the trail just south and east of Walmart on South locust (Grand Island, NE) and found yellow-rumped warblers that were freshly killed. Looked like raptor predation.

Laurel
Hall County

Laurel Badura
Partners for Fish and Wildlife Biologist
US Fish and Wildlife Service

9325 South Alda Road
Wood River, NE 68883

Cell: 308-440-1388

Back to top
Date: 3/3/24 6:01 pm
From: Benjamin Gray <benjamincgray...>
Subject: Re: [NEBirds] Woodcocks

Back to top
Date: 3/3/24 5:58 pm
From: Tim Houghton <timhoughton...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Woodcocks
Real nice flight displays 6:40-7 this evening at Pawnee Rd. at bridge, north side of Glenn Cunningham Lake.

Tim Houghton

Back to top
Date: 3/3/24 2:22 pm
From: Robin Harding <pine2siskin4...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Dawson Co. birds
Nebraska birders,

Bill Flack and I enjoyed a very pleasant day of birding in Dawson County on
Saturday, March 02. We started at the Overton sewage lagoons. Neither of
us had been there before. It was a bit challenging to find but it was
worth the effort. There was one Killdeer, many Green-winged Teal, several
American Wigeon, some Gadwalls, a few Mallards, a female Common Goldeneye
and one Northern Pintail.

We went to Dogwood WMA, a few miles west of the Overton I-80 exit. We
walked south to the Platte River. We saw at least ten immature Bald
Eagles, a few Sandhill Cranes, five Common Mergansers and a large flock of
gulls that we couldn’t get close enough to identify.

We checked-in at the Tyson sewage lagoons near Lexington. We saw a Common
Goldeneye, a Canvasback, a pair of Buffleheads, three Ruddy Ducks and one
Franklin’s Gull.

We were trying to go to the Greenwood Cemetery next but found St. Ann’s
Cemetery instead. There are a number of evergreen trees, so we decided to
walk around. I thought that I saw a Yellow-headed Blackbird among a flock
of Red-wings but it was not. In the process, however, I heard crossbills
fly over. We saw two birds land in one of the pines so we investigated.
It took some time and patience, but we did see two males and a female Red
Crossbill. New county bird for both of us!

We went to Gallager WMA, arriving just before sunset. We were hoping to
find owls. We did see a pair of Belted Kingfishers. A little after
sundown, I played Eastern Screech-Owl on my phone. After a while, one came
out to see us. It studied us for a minute then flew off in the direction
of a second screech-owl that we could hear in the distance. What a treat
to actually see one! It is a new county bird for me, however, Bill had
already heard one in the county.

All is on ebird.

Robin Harding
Kearney County