WV-BIRD
Received From Subject
7/16/19 6:39 pm James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Fwd: eBird Report - Bertha Campground, Bluestone WMA, Jul 16, 2019
7/16/19 2:31 pm Katie Fallon <katie...> Young Birders Walk on July 27
7/16/19 1:31 pm jerry Kruth <00000005ead0dac6-dmarc-request...> Re: Wild Cherry Time
7/16/19 12:42 pm Bruni Haydl <bruni...> Wild Cherry Time
7/16/19 5:50 am James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Fwd: eBird Report - Knob Ridge Road, Pipestem, WV, Jul 15, 2019
7/15/19 7:33 pm Richard Gregg <greggra...> Bird of Note: Peregrine Falcon
7/15/19 6:29 am Casey Rucker <autoblock...> Fledgling Pine Warblers and interesting yellowthroat behavior (Tucker)
7/14/19 8:15 am Mimi Kibler <mialk12...> Orchard Oriole Family
7/11/19 5:03 pm James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> warblers on the move
7/10/19 9:00 pm Steven Wilson <scwilso35...> Hix BBS
7/10/19 7:12 pm Steven Wilson <scwilso35...> Ghent BBS
7/10/19 7:10 pm Joshua Holland <jhollandua...> Trumpeter Swan @ Milton WTP (Cabell)
7/10/19 5:09 pm Steven Wilson <scwilso35...> Clear Creek BBS
7/10/19 3:51 pm Kyle Aldinger <kaldinge...> Sandhill Cranes - Kitchen's Farm Market, Berkeley County, WV
7/10/19 12:14 pm Richard Gregg <greggra...> F.O.Y.: Little Blue Heron
7/10/19 8:07 am Deb Hale <debhale72...> Blue Ridge Center walk, abrupt end to a beautiful morning
7/10/19 5:47 am James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Fwd: eBird Report - Lake View Trail to Knob Ridge Rd. gate, PipestemState Park, Jul 9, 2019
7/9/19 3:19 pm Richard Kazmierski <richardkazmierski...> Little Blue Heron
7/8/19 10:30 am Rankin, Gary <rankin...> Spotted sandpiper and Savanna Sparrows
7/8/19 10:28 am Joshua Holland <jhollandua...> Summertime Coot @ Gallipolis Ferry Sandpit
7/8/19 7:50 am Fred Atwood <fatwood...> Little blue heron Grant County
7/8/19 6:42 am paulmck57 <paulmck57...> eBird -- McKay Farm,Wheeling, West Virginia, US (40.142, -80.612) -- Jul 08, 2019
7/6/19 10:12 am James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> swallow-tailed kite - no
7/5/19 12:44 pm Cynthia Burkhart <000000990b36e23b-dmarc-request...> Independence Day for Barn Swallows
7/5/19 11:28 am James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Swallow-tailed Kite in Monroe County, WV today
7/5/19 10:11 am 'Nam Vet <namvet45...> Green Heron
7/5/19 9:50 am jerry Kruth <00000005ead0dac6-dmarc-request...> Re: Great 4th of July
7/5/19 9:06 am Bruni Haydl <bruni...> Great 4th of July
7/5/19 6:24 am James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Orchard Oriole
7/3/19 3:17 pm Herb and Sarah Myers <hesemyers...> Fwd: eBird Report - Thomas City Park Trails, Jul 3, 2019
7/2/19 9:08 pm Cynthia Burkhart <000000990b36e23b-dmarc-request...> Late June postings
7/1/19 11:36 am Rankin, Gary <rankin...> Purple Martin Flight School
7/1/19 8:45 am Rankin, Gary <rankin...> American Woodcock, Herons and Killdeer
7/1/19 6:46 am James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> common mergansers
6/29/19 10:35 am Bruni Haydl <bruni...> New Yard bird
6/28/19 5:07 pm Herb and Sarah Myers <hesemyers...> Holly River
6/26/19 5:30 pm Randy Bodkins <randybodkins...> Golden-winged Warbler/Randolph County
6/26/19 10:45 am Terry Bronson <tbronsonbirds...> Byrd Dam Least Bittern update
6/25/19 12:15 pm Mike Griffith <birdonawire47...> Osprey Nestlings
6/25/19 4:27 am Bruni Haydl <bruni...> New fledglings
6/23/19 5:46 pm Herb and Sarah Myers <hesemyers...> Herons and Thrushes
6/23/19 11:59 am Casey Rucker <autoblock...> Baby birds (Tucker) plus query re Tufted Duck
6/22/19 7:48 am Herb and Sarah Myers <hesemyers...> Warbler
6/22/19 6:42 am James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Fwd: eBird Report - Mercer County Landfill, Jun 21, 2019
6/21/19 4:51 pm Joshua Holland <jhollandua...> Re: Nesting Least Bitterns (Mason)
6/21/19 1:05 pm Randy Bodkins <randybodkins...> Bobwhite/Grant County
6/21/19 6:22 am Joshua Holland <jhollandua...> Nesting Least Bitterns (Mason)
6/20/19 9:10 pm Cynthia Burkhart <000000990b36e23b-dmarc-request...> Nesting Killdeer
6/19/19 5:02 pm Donna Mitchell <dmitchellbirding...> barn owl
6/19/19 3:54 pm James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Ospreys & young turkey vulture
6/19/19 5:59 am Randy Bodkins <randybodkins...> Ruffed Grouse Brood/Tucker County
6/18/19 4:33 pm Ms Diane Holsinger <0000002c027a27a0-dmarc-request...> Osprey
6/18/19 9:45 am Mike Griffith <birdonawire47...> Common Loon
6/18/19 6:25 am Ryan Tomazin <wvwarblers...> Randolph County - Cowbird parasitism of a Black-and-white Warbler nest
6/17/19 10:11 pm Ron Kingston <kingston...> Announcing the 25th Annual Purple Martin Field Day

Back to top
Date: 7/16/19 6:39 pm
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - Bertha Campground, Bluestone WMA, Jul 16, 2019
Date: 7/16/19 2:31 pm
From: Katie Fallon <katie...>
Subject: Young Birders Walk on July 27
Greetings,

I'm writing to let everyone know about an upcoming Young Birders Walk at
the West Virginia Botanic Garden (near Cheat Lake / Morgantown in
Monongalia County) on Saturday, July 27, at 10am. The walk is free and open
to young birders of all ages (and their supporting adults); the garden asks
that you register in advance via their website (www.wvbg.org) so they know
how many people to expect. The walk will be led by me and a few other folks
from the Morgantown birding community.

The West Virginia Young Birders Club is an outreach project of the Avian
Conservation Center of Appalachia. So far, most of our activities have been
bird walks locally, but we have plans to expand in the future. Visit
www.wvybc.org or find us on Facebook (@wvybc).

So far, our Young Birders Walks at the botanic garden have been popular; we
usually break into two or three groups, and we've had kids as young as a
few months all the way up to teenagers. My kids (almost 7, 5, and 1) will
be there. We often end up looking at non-bird things too -- snakes,
insects, flowers, etc. We have fun!

Late July is not a great time to see birds, but some should still be
active. I walked in the garden the last two days with my oldest and
youngest daughters. Our eBird lists are below.

If you're interested in helping us grow the club, or if you'd like to be
added to our contact list, please let me know.

Thanks,
Katie Fallon

WV Botanic Gardens
Jul 15, 2019
10:55 AM
Traveling
1.61 miles
95 Minutes
All birds reported? Yes
Comments: Submitted from eBird for iOS, version 1.9.1 Build 11

1 Eastern Wood-Pewee
3 Acadian Flycatcher
1 Blue-headed Vireo
4 Red-eyed Vireo
2 Carolina Chickadee
2 Tufted Titmouse
3 House Wren
1 Carolina Wren
1 Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
1 Eastern Bluebird
3 Wood Thrush
3 American Robin
1 Gray Catbird
4 Cedar Waxwing
3 American Goldfinch
1 Field Sparrow
1 Song Sparrow
3 Eastern Towhee
7 Red-winged Blackbird
3 American Redstart -- Female and two recently fledged young - right off
the main loop. Laurel got to see them at eye level without binoculars.
1 Scarlet Tanager
2 Northern Cardinal
2 Indigo Bunting

Number of Taxa: 23

WV Botanic Gardens
Jul 16, 2019
12:07 PM
Traveling
0.28 miles
32 Minutes
All birds reported? Yes
Comments: Submitted from eBird for iOS, version 1.9.1 Build 11

2 Ruby-throated Hummingbird
1 Eastern Wood-Pewee
2 Acadian Flycatcher
1 Eastern Phoebe
2 Red-eyed Vireo
3 Barn Swallow
1 Carolina Chickadee
2 House Wren
1 Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
1 American Robin
2 Cedar Waxwing
4 American Goldfinch
1 Field Sparrow
2 Song Sparrow
1 Eastern Towhee
1 Red-winged Blackbird
1 Northern Cardinal
1 Indigo Bunting

Number of Taxa: 18

--
Katie Fallon

Chair & Co-founder, *Avian Conservation Center of Appalachia*
President, *Mountaineer Chapter of the National Audubon Society*

286 Fairchance Road
Morgantown, WV 26508
(304) 906-5438
http://www.accawv.org
http://www.mountaineeraudubon.org
http://www.katiefallon.com

*Check out the WV Young Birders' Club, an outreach project of the ACCA:
http://www.wvybc.org <http://www.wvybc.org>*

Back to top
Date: 7/16/19 1:31 pm
From: jerry Kruth <00000005ead0dac6-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: Wild Cherry Time
Bruni, thanks for the always entertaining posts.
I again want to compliment you on your NESTBOXES, and encourage everyone that this one direct way anyone can positively influence nature.  It's easy and so rewarding.

Jerry KruthPgh now in Costa Rica

Date: 7/16/19 5:50 am
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - Knob Ridge Road, Pipestem, WV, Jul 15, 2019
Date: 7/15/19 7:33 pm
From: Richard Gregg <greggra...>
Subject: Bird of Note: Peregrine Falcon
Bird of Note:
08:28 A.M., Monday, July 15, 2019.
Marmet Locks and Dam, Belle, WV.
Belle side.
Peregrine Falcon (1).
It made a stoop on a Dove but it went below the Lock wall. I don’t think it was successful because some while later it, (assuming the same one), went straight up. It looked like a jet fighter doing a victory roll but it was after a Barn Swallow. The swallow was a dot in the bino’s but headed towards me where I could make it out. Just a few minutes after that 19 Barn Swallows sat on the fence right next to me for 10-minutes or so. Almost like, “Get near the two-leg human and we’ll be safe!” I’m not saying that’s what happened but I never had 19-Barn Swallows, 1-Tree Swallow and a couple of Mourning Doves set next to me before. I was standing outside the vehicle about 15-feet from the chain link fence.

No photos of the falcon but took some of the Barn Swallows and a couple other species. There were 32 species on the observation
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58216122 <https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58216122>

Rick Gregg
Kanawha Co., WV

Back to top
Date: 7/15/19 6:29 am
From: Casey Rucker <autoblock...>
Subject: Fledgling Pine Warblers and interesting yellowthroat behavior (Tucker)
Hi, all,

Our bird walk Saturday at Canaan Valley National Wildlife Refuge brought us
the first Pine Warbler fledglings I have seen in the county, near the
visitor center construction zone. At Freeland boardwalk we saw a family of
three Green Herons including a juvenile, and watched a Common Yellowthroat
male spitting into the open mouth of a fledgling. The Cornell Birds of North
America species account says that regurgitative feeding has not been
documented, so we may have seen a very little-known phenomenon.

In the yard and neighborhood Wood Thrushes are singing as if it's early June
- maybe second broods? Barred Owls have been vocal lately, and on Saturday
afternoon a Black-billed Cuckoo was calling in the yard.

Here are the birds from Saturday's walk:

Canada Goose

Mourning Dove

Green Heron

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Northern Flicker

Alder Flycatcher

Willow Flycatcher

Eastern Kingbird

American Crow

Tree Swallow

Barn Swallow

Black-capped Chickadee

Red-breasted Nuthatch

White-breasted Nuthatch

House Wren

American Robin

Gray Catbird

Cedar Waxwing

Purple Finch

American Goldfinch

Chipping Sparrow

Field Sparrow

Song Sparrow

Swamp Sparrow

Eastern Towhee

Red-winged Blackbird

Eastern Meadowlark

Common Yellowthroat

Pine Warbler.

Good birding,

Casey Rucker

Dry Fork, WV

Back to top
Date: 7/14/19 8:15 am
From: Mimi Kibler <mialk12...>
Subject: Orchard Oriole Family
At the USFS nursery bottom facility in Parsons this morning, I watched an adult pair and at least three young Orchard Orioles foraging in tall weeds at the edge of the fields.

Back to top
Date: 7/11/19 5:03 pm
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: warblers on the move
We haven't seen or heard any warblers on our place since May. Yesterday, we
had a worm-eating warbler come through the yard and today we had a
black-throated green warbler and an ovenbird.
Jim & Judy Phillips
Summers County
Pipestem, WV

Back to top
Date: 7/10/19 9:00 pm
From: Steven Wilson <scwilso35...>
Subject: Hix BBS
Below are results from my Hix BBS route. The route begins in Hix, Summers County and ends in Red Sulphur Springs, Monroe County. I was forced to do this route late in the season, as June turned out to be a very busy month for us, but still completed this route within the required dates. Unfortunately, I did not pick up the Swallow-tailed Kite that was found by Jim Phillips just a couple hours after I completed this route, but a few highlights include Great Blue Heron, Wood Duck, Purple Martin (all at the same stop), and Black Vulture.

Wild Turkey
Mourning Dove
Chimney Swift
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Turkey Vulture
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
(Yellow-shafted Flicker) Northern Flicker
Pileated Woodpecker
Great Crested Flycatcher
Eastern Wood-Pewee
Acadian Flycatcher
Eastern Phoebe
Yellow-throated Vireo
Blue-headed Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Blue Jay
American Crow
Common Raven
Tree Swallow
Barn Swallow
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
House Wren
Carolina Wren
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Eastern Bluebird
Wood Thrush
American Robin
Gray Catbird
Brown Thrasher
Northern Mockingbird
European Starling
Cedar Waxwing
House Sparrow
House Finch
American Goldfinch
Eastern Towhee
Chipping Sparrow
Field Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Eastern Meadowlark
Baltimore Oriole
Red-winged Blackbird
Brown-headed Cowbird
Common Grackle
Ovenbird
Worm-eating Warbler
Black-and-white Warbler
Hooded Warbler
Northern Parula
Yellow Warbler
Yellow-throated Warbler
Prairie Warbler
Scarlet Tanager
Northern Cardinal
Indigo Bunting
Canada Goose
Wood Duck
Great Blue Heron
Black Vulture
Red-tailed Hawk
Purple Martin
Total Species : 64 Total ind. : 780

Steven Wilson
Beckley, WV

Back to top
Date: 7/10/19 7:12 pm
From: Steven Wilson <scwilso35...>
Subject: Ghent BBS
Below are my results from my Ghent BBS route. This route begins at the Ghent Post Office, Raleigh County and ends a couple miles south of Basin, Wyoming County. Highlights include Barred Owl, Great Blue Heron, Belted Kingfisher, Louisiana Waterthrush, and a Ruffed Grouse crossing the road on my route after I completed the survey.

Mourning Dove
Chimney Swift
Ruby-throated Hummingbir
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Pileated Woodpecker
Eastern Wood-Pewee
Acadian Flycatcher
Eastern Phoebe
Yellow-throated Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Blue Jay
American Crow
Tree Swallow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Barn Swallow
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
House Wren
Carolina Wren
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Wood Thrush
American Robin
Gray Catbird
Brown Thrasher
European Starling
Cedar Waxwing
House Sparrow
American Goldfinch
Eastern Towhee
Chipping Sparrow
Field Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Yellow-breasted Chat
Red-winged Blackbird
Brown-headed Cowbird
Common Grackle
Ovenbird
Worm-eating Warbler
Black-and-white Warbler
Swainson's Warbler
Kentucky Warbler
Hooded Warbler
American Redstart
Northern Parula
Yellow-throated Warbler
Black-throated Green Warbler
Scarlet Tanager
Northern Cardinal
Indigo Bunting
Great Blue Heron
Turkey Vulture
Red-tailed Hawk
Barred Owl
Belted Kingfisher
Louisiana Waterthrush
Total Species : 57 Total ind. : 573

Steven Wilson
Beckley, WV

Back to top
Date: 7/10/19 7:10 pm
From: Joshua Holland <jhollandua...>
Subject: Trumpeter Swan @ Milton WTP (Cabell)
(Warning: possibly an escaped bird)

I found a Trumpeter Swan this evening at the Milton WTP ponds near Blenko
Glass. I'm hesitant to post this due to the low probability of it being a
wild bird, but figured what the hell. With all of the storms we've had
recently, I suppose it's entirely possible it could be from the Ohio or
Virginia populations.

I've not birded this spot since early spring so I have no idea when it
arrived. In the past there have always been domestic geese and ducks with
the Canada geese that frequent the four ponds in the vicinity. None of the
domestic birds were seen this evening with the geese.

I will attempt to get some more info from the Blenko and Pumpkin Park folks
before posting to ebird, but wanted to share with the listserv in case
anyone wanted to cover their bases on a potential rarity and new state bird.

Josh Holland
Huntington, WV

Back to top
Date: 7/10/19 5:09 pm
From: Steven Wilson <scwilso35...>
Subject: Clear Creek BBS
Below are my results from my Clear Creek BBS route this year. The route begins on Harper Road in Beckley and ends in Dorothy. Personal highlights include Purple Martin, Yellow-breasted Chat, Baltimore Oriole, and Rose-breasted Grosbeak. Unfortunately, no Swainson's Warblers this year. I believe I usually get at least one on this route.

Mourning Dove
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
Chimney Swift
Red-tailed Hawk
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Pileated Woodpecker
Great Crested Flycatcher
Eastern Kingbird
Eastern Wood-Pewee
Acadian Flycatcher
Eastern Phoebe
White-eyed Vireo
[...]
Blue-winged Warbler
Black-and-white Warbler
Kentucky Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
Hooded Warbler
American Redstart
Cerulean Warbler
Northern Parula
Yellow Warbler
Yellow-throated Warbler
Scarlet Tanager
Northern Cardinal
Indigo Bunting
Canada Goose
Purple Martin
Field Sparrow
Yellow-breasted Chat
Baltimore Oriole
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Total Species : 63 Total ind. : 630

Steven Wilson
Beckley, WV

Back to top
Date: 7/10/19 3:51 pm
From: Kyle Aldinger <kaldinge...>
Subject: Sandhill Cranes - Kitchen's Farm Market, Berkeley County, WV
I saw three Sandhill Cranes today behind Kitchen's Farm Market in Falling
Waters, Berkeley County, WV. From the parking lot in front of the store,
they were behind the store to the West-Northwest along a row of a few
trees. Before I left, they flew in a large arc and eventually disappeared
to the northwest. One individual had very slightly different plumage, which
was evident in flight by lighter color down the middle of the back, but it
was nowhere near juvenile plumage. All three birds had well-defined red on
the head and were approximately the same size and flew with ease, so I
don't think it was a breeding pair with a juvenile hatched this year.
Perhaps a breeding pair with last year's young?

I got some really low quality documentation photos on my phone through my
binoculars:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58077445

Kyle Aldinger

Back to top
Date: 7/10/19 12:14 pm
From: Richard Gregg <greggra...>
Subject: F.O.Y.: Little Blue Heron
First Of Year sighting, Bird of note:

10:14 a.m., Wednesday, July 10, 2019.
Marmet Locks and Dam.
Little Blue Heron, 1-juvenile, all white.
Belle side at the Low-water Bridge.

Photos are on the eBird checklist:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58079239 <https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58079239>

The base of the bill seems to have some pink like a Reddish Egret but the legs are definitely greenish-yellow.

Rick Gregg
Kanawha Co.

Back to top
Date: 7/10/19 8:07 am
From: Deb Hale <debhale72...>
Subject: Blue Ridge Center walk, abrupt end to a beautiful morning
Disaster struck about 2/3 of the way through the PVAS bird walk this
morning at Blue Ridge Center (just across the river in Loudoun County, VA).
Several of our group were stung by yellow jackets, their nest having been
inadvertently disturbed as we wandered through their territory looking for
Kentucky warblers. As a couple of the women were allergic to bee stings,
things broke up abruptly. But up until then, it had been a beautiful
morning!

If you live locally and have not been to this place, make plans to do so.
It's the kind of place where you see and hear wonderful birds right from
the parking lot, as we did this morning: yellow-breasted chat,
yellow-billed cuckoo, eastern meadowlark, common yellowthroat.

We got great looks at chats and yellowthroats; others like the Cerulean and
Kentucky warblers, we could only hear. There were a couple of juvenile
black vultures hanging near their probable nest in an old barn structure,
sitting on a window ledge waiting for their parents to return.

We found three otters swimming in the small pond, looking like logs, all
brown and covered in mossy water.

And I just pulled off a dog tick crawling up my back - it's one of those
places, alas - you have to take the good with the bad.

Thank to all 11 participants for showing up this morning and suffering
through!

Deb Hale
Harpers Ferry/Bolivar

Blue Ridge Center for Environmental Stewardship, Loudoun, Virginia, US
Jul 10, 2019 7:00 AM - 10:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
46 species

Yellow-billed Cuckoo 5
Great Egret 2 flying over
Green Heron 1
Black Vulture 3 one soaring at end of walk, 2 juveniles poking heads
out old barn window along wooded trail
Turkey Vulture 6
Red-shouldered Hawk X heard; much vocalization during first half of
walk, including while we were in the woods.
Red-bellied Woodpecker 4
Downy Woodpecker 3
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Pileated Woodpecker 1
Eastern Wood-Pewee 9
Acadian Flycatcher 12
Eastern Phoebe 2
Great Crested Flycatcher 1
White-eyed Vireo 1
Yellow-throated Vireo 1
Red-eyed Vireo 10
American Crow 6
Fish Crow 6
Tree Swallow 10
Barn Swallow 1
Carolina Chickadee 2
Tufted Titmouse 4
White-breasted Nuthatch 3
House Wren 1
Carolina Wren 5
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 4
Eastern Bluebird 3 incl. one juvenile
Wood Thrush 1
Brown Thrasher 1
Cedar Waxwing 2
American Goldfinch 6
Chipping Sparrow 1
Field Sparrow 4
Eastern Towhee 2
Yellow-breasted Chat 5
Eastern Meadowlark 1
Baltimore Oriole 3
Louisiana Waterthrush 1
Kentucky Warbler 4
Common Yellowthroat 6
Cerulean Warbler 1
Northern Parula 2
Scarlet Tanager 1
Northern Cardinal 6
Indigo Bunting 11

Back to top
Date: 7/10/19 5:47 am
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - Lake View Trail to Knob Ridge Rd. gate, PipestemState Park, Jul 9, 2019
Date: 7/9/19 3:19 pm
From: Richard Kazmierski <richardkazmierski...>
Subject: Little Blue Heron
One Little Blue Heron, this morning, at the Fish Hatchery by the Byrd Locks and Dam

Kim Kazmierski

Back to top
Date: 7/8/19 10:30 am
From: Rankin, Gary <rankin...>
Subject: Spotted sandpiper and Savanna Sparrows
Mike Griffith, Janet Keating and I birdied along Rte 2 from Green Bottom WMA to Gallipolis Ferry yesterday morning. The most notable sightings were a Spotted Sandpiper and a pair of Savanna Sparrows at Robert C. Byrd Locks and Dam. One of the Savanna Sparrows was singing continuously. A male Blue Grosbeak was also singing at RCBL&D.

Gary Rankin
Lavalette, WV

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 7/8/19 10:28 am
From: Joshua Holland <jhollandua...>
Subject: Summertime Coot @ Gallipolis Ferry Sandpit
One American Coot swimming on west bank of sandpit in Gallipolis Ferry
(Mason). Was thinking it was kind of early for them and when checking in to
ebird it was flagged as rare for this time of year. On ebird there appears
to only be a handful of summer records.

Josh Holland
Huntington, WV

Back to top
Date: 7/8/19 7:50 am
From: Fred Atwood <fatwood...>
Subject: Little blue heron Grant County
This AM an immature at South Mill Creek Lake park. I believe it is a state lifer for me.
Fred Atwood
Cabins Grant Co

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 7/8/19 6:42 am
From: paulmck57 <paulmck57...>
Subject: eBird -- McKay Farm,Wheeling, West Virginia, US (40.142, -80.612) -- Jul 08, 2019
McKay Farm,Wheeling, West Virginia, US (40.142, -80.612)Jul 08, 20197:59 AMTraveling1.67 miles95 minutesAll birds reported? YesComments:I started the day having coffee and watching 2 huge snapping turtles mating in the pond outside our kitchen. Then walked on the farm and saw 2 ravens sitting on a dead tree. Notably absent were yellow warblers.1 Mourning Dove 1 Yellow-billed Cuckoo 1 Chimney Swift 2 Turkey Vulture 3 Red-bellied Woodpecker 4 White-eyed Vireo 2 Red-eyed Vireo 5 Blue Jay 14 American Crow 2 Common Raven 1 Carolina Chickadee 1 Tufted Titmouse 2 Carolina Wren 9 Wood Thrush 5 American Robin 11 Gray Catbird 9 American Goldfinch 8 Field Sparrow 11 Song Sparrow 4 Eastern Towhee 2 Orchard Oriole 11 Red-winged Blackbird 9 Common Yellowthroat 3 Northern Cardinal 4 Indigo Bunting 2 House Sparrow Number of Taxa: 26Paul McKayOhio CountySent via the Samsung Galaxy S7 active, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

Back to top
Date: 7/6/19 10:12 am
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: swallow-tailed kite - no
We looked for the Monroe County kite for about an hour and a half today
but didn't find it.
Jim & Judy Phillips
Summers County
Pipestem, WV

Back to top
Date: 7/5/19 12:44 pm
From: Cynthia Burkhart <000000990b36e23b-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Independence Day for Barn Swallows
On July 4th, the barn swallow babies fledged from the second nest. At 10 am, just one was sitting outside of nest. In photo, the other three can be seen still in the nest.
When I checked at 2:30 pm, three were out of the nest, and the parents were flying in and out of the barn, sometimes perching nearby. No sighting of the 4 th one...hoping it had already made its way outside.
This morning, all were outside flying over the barn yard and field.
Ebird reports attached with, yes, still more photos.
Cynthia Burkhart
Ritchie
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S57948748
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S57949210
Sent from my iPad

Back to top
Date: 7/5/19 11:28 am
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Swallow-tailed Kite in Monroe County, WV today
We watched a swallow-tailed kite from 1-130 this afternoon. The bird was
flying over fields edged with woods along Rt. 12 between Red Sulphur
Springs, Monroe County and Forest Hill, Summer County, WV. The best looks
we had were from where the Imagination Farm Rd. joins(not making that up)
Rt. 12 and just to the north of that. Be sure to have a good pull-off to
get you out of the road.
Probably one of the easiest raptors to identify. I saw the one south of
Huntington a few years ago and it was a life bird for Judy.
We alerted the nearest birders we knew by cell phone. We will probably go
back tomorrow to look for it.
Jim & Judy Phillips
Summers County
Pipestem, WV

Back to top
Date: 7/5/19 10:11 am
From: 'Nam Vet <namvet45...>
Subject: Green Heron
First time in several years, sitting on the phone wire above our upper pond.

John Snyder
Shady Grove Farm
Nicholas County

Back to top
Date: 7/5/19 9:50 am
From: jerry Kruth <00000005ead0dac6-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: Great 4th of July
Lovely post Bruni. Thanks.  Looks like you had your own show for the Fourth!

It shows what wonderful things you can have in your own yard, if you garden for wildlife and have a water feature; just something as simple as a BIRDBATH.
best,
Jerry KruthPgh and Costa Rica

Date: 7/5/19 6:24 am
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Orchard Oriole
We have had about 20 species represented with fledglings around our place
this summer. Our tree swallows left the box July 4.
We have had a pair of Baltimore orioles raise a brood but this morning
while we were having our tea on the porch we spotted a pair of orchard
orioles on the graveyard fence.
Jim & Judy Phillips
Summers County
Pipestem, WV

Back to top
Date: 7/3/19 3:17 pm
From: Herb and Sarah Myers <hesemyers...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - Thomas City Park Trails, Jul 3, 2019
Our Wednesday birding group had a fun time birding the Thomas City Park
trails this morning. I had to justify to eBird the seven Yellow-bellied
Sapsuckers that we saw. We heard them both doing their irregular hammering
and calling. We saw at least one that appeared to be a juvenile. We saw one
tree with sapsucker wells. There were a lot of dead trees and snags along
the trail which made for interesting resonances to their drummings - good
offbeat music to our ears.

In addition to the birds, the Round-leaved Orchis or Hooker's Orchis that
Sarah and I found along the trail over a month ago was in bloom today. Herb
Myers, Harman, from Tucker County

Date: 7/2/19 9:08 pm
From: Cynthia Burkhart <000000990b36e23b-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Late June postings
Such a busy time of year! I just managed to get my last of June info posted on ebird tonight. Attached are a 3 of them with some photos. There are Barn Swallow nestling pics, taken only 4 days apart...amazing how quickly they grow! Also pics of a male Red- bellied woodpecker with his large youngster. And a pair of Goldfinches.
Cynthia Burkhart
Ritchie
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S57873609
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S57878782
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S57874094
Sent from my iPad

Back to top
Date: 7/1/19 11:36 am
From: Rankin, Gary <rankin...>
Subject: Purple Martin Flight School
About this time every year, the Purple Martins bring their young to our neighborhood for a couple of weeks. Anywhere from 10-20 martins can be seen at one time as they fly around, calling frequently. The closest martin houses are about a mile away from our neighborhood at Sugarwood Golf Course, and we suspect that these martins are coming from the golf course boxes. When we returned from vacation last week, I immediately heard the martins calling and saw them flying around and landing on the wires and crossbar supports for the power lines heading to the mines in Southern WV. The adults work with the young birds and teach them to catch insects, as adults and younger birds glide around the neighborhood. We call this activity "flight school" and we always enjoy having the martins around. After about two weeks or so, they will leave to join other groups of Purple Martins before beginning the migration south in large groups that can number 30-40 thousand birds. I also noticed a similar flight school in progress at Beech Fork Lake in the marina area, and without doubt, they will join with our group and others before too long.

Gary O. Rankin
Lavalette, WV
Wayne Co.

Back to top
Date: 7/1/19 8:45 am
From: Rankin, Gary <rankin...>
Subject: American Woodcock, Herons and Killdeer
Mike Griffith, Janet Keating and I spent time yesterday morning birding along Rte 2 from Green Bottom WMA to Gallipolis Ferry. The surprise of the morning was an adult Am. Woodcock that flushed along the path separating the two Goose Ponds at Robert C. Byrd Locks & Dam. The Least Bitterns nor their young were evident at either of the Goose ponds. However, lots of Great Blue Herons and Killdeer were evident at various sites. A partial List of birds seen are shown below:

GBWMA
Wood Duck 18
Great Blue Heron 11
Green Heron 6
Tree Swallows 50+
Willow Flycatcher 1
Eastern Kingbird 2
Belted Kingfisher 1
Yellow Warbler 2
Common Yellowthroat 3
Orchard Oriole 3

Ashton Ponds
Green Heron 1
Killdeer 4
Warbling Vireo 1
Orchard Oriole 1

RCBL&D
Wood Duck 8
Great Blue Heron 2
Green Heron 2
Killdeer 8
American Woodcock 1
Osprey 5
Herring Gull 2
Tree, Cliff and Barn Swallows
Eastern Meadowlark 2
Baltimore Oriole 1
Orchard Oriole 2

Gallipolis Ferry
Osprey 2
Killdeer 30
Purple Martin 6
Bank Swallow 4

Gary O. Rankin
Lavalette, WV
Wayne Co.

Back to top
Date: 7/1/19 6:46 am
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: common mergansers
Yesterday, we saw a common merganser hen with 6 babies on New River at
Sandstone Falls. Are merganser young called ducklings? Or do they have
their own name?
Jim Phillips
Summers County
Pipestem, WV

Back to top
Date: 6/29/19 10:35 am
From: Bruni Haydl <bruni...>
Subject: New Yard bird
Despite having seen few of them over the years I immediately recognized
the Blue Grosbeak in my ground birdbath.  That was certainly
unexpected.  Managed to get a short video, enough to record his presence.

The Blue-gray Gnatcatcher was here again yesterday, in the front and
back yard.  I saw him at the hummingbird feeder.  He appeared to be
picking tiny insects that had stuck to the droplets of nectar on the base.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the Towhee siblings who have been here every
day.  They are always together but have expanded their range to the
backyard and the rock garden.  In the past I might have gotten an
occasional glimpse of a young one, but that was it.

Bruni Haydl

Charles Town, WV

Back to top
Date: 6/28/19 5:07 pm
From: Herb and Sarah Myers <hesemyers...>
Subject: Holly River
We spent Tuesday through Thursday camping at the beautiful, secluded Holly
River State Park. During the two days, we heard Wood Thrushes almost
everywhere we went. They were the first bird I heard when awakening in the
morning and almost the last in the evening. They seemed to sing most of the
day. Veeries were also present down at the campground as were Acadian
Flycatchers and both Blue-headed and Red-eyed Vireos.

Wednesday evening when sitting at our campsite, I saw something large fly
down to the Laurel Fork which runs through the campground before emptying
into the Holly River. I thought it was likely a heron until it flew up and
perched on a log over the stream. It was a Barred Owl. It sat there for at
least 10 minutes looking around and down at the water. Finally, it flew
down to the stream again. I walked over but could not locate it. I assume
it flew off. It really seemed like it was hunting and/or fishing but never
caught anything that I could see.

We saw another Barred Owl Tuesday evening when we went up to the Upper
Falls of Fall Run. We were alerted to its presence by American Robins
scolding high up in a tree by the parking lot. It soon flew off being
harassed.

It was good to be in a place where I heard Cerulean Warblers in a number of
locations. The other warblers included Ovenbirds, Louisiana Waterthrush,
Northern Parula, American Redstart, Hooded and Black-throated Green
Warblers. The chickadees there seemed to be Black-capped though I expected
Carolina. Their songs were typical of Black-capped songs though I know that
alone is not a reliable criterion.

It was a good two days with very few people around. We were the only ones
in our campground section. It made it better for the birds and me. Herb
Myers, Harman, Randolph County from Webster County

Back to top
Date: 6/26/19 5:30 pm
From: Randy Bodkins <randybodkins...>
Subject: Golden-winged Warbler/Randolph County
I heard a GWWA at Coberly Sods-South today (6/26/19)...First one I've heard at this location in several years !! AND I check every year.

Randy Bodkins
Norton, WV

Back to top
Date: 6/26/19 10:45 am
From: Terry Bronson <tbronsonbirds...>
Subject: Byrd Dam Least Bittern update
At this Mason County location, I was able to hear 1 bird several times
giving what the Sibley app calls the Florida chuckle call. This was in the
north end of the pond closest to the parking area between the 2 entrances
to the trails. Unfortunately, this pond is 95% surrounded by head-high
cattails, so seeing a bird there would be next to impossible. Also the
trails were maybe a third flooded-- ankle deep at the deepest point.

Also of note there:

Herring Gull--3
Osprey--7. 2 young in each of the 2 nests.
Peregrine Falcon--1 immature
Willow Flycatcher--4
Cliff Swallow--about 30 feeding and flying back and forth to nests on the
dam.
Blue Grosbeak--1 singing male at entrance to parking lot.

At Apple Grove Fish Hatchery:

Bald Eagle--1 adult soaring over the river.
Killdeer--7. No other shorebirds--too early yet.
Cliff Swallow--possibly 100 birds, most fledglings either perched on
utility wires or the beds of a couple of the empty ponds.
Eastern Meadowlark--7

In adjacent Cabell County at Greenbottom Wildlife Management area, the road
to the observation deck is NOT flooded. Highlights included:

Wood Duck--7 small ducklings in a single brood. 4 adult females.
Great Blue Heron--3
Green Heron--4 including 1 juvenile
Willow Flycatcher--2
Great Crested Flycatcher--2
Blue-winged Warbler--1
Common Yellowthroat--5

At Hoeft Marsh:

Canada Goose--107. All juveniles appear to be completely molted to adult
plumage.
Great Blue Heron--2
Belted Kingfisher--2
Tree Swallow--15. Most were juveniles.
Yellow-breasted Chat--1

Terry Bronson
Marietta, OH

Back to top
Date: 6/25/19 12:15 pm
From: Mike Griffith <birdonawire47...>
Subject: Osprey Nestlings
R.C. Byrd Locks (Mason Co.)

There are 2 active Osprey nests here and each nest has 2 nestlings. The young at the nest site that has been there longer are 1 to 2 weeks older than the ones at the newer nest site.

Mike Griffith
Huntington

Back to top
Date: 6/25/19 4:27 am
From: Bruni Haydl <bruni...>
Subject: New fledglings
This afternoon I saw two young Eastern Towhees in the same spot where
their parents always feed,,,,underneath the black oil feeder.    I have
a perfect view of that spot when I'm on the computer.  Neat to see them
flash the white in the outer tail feathers when they take off.  The
bodies are still somewhat mottled.  They are out there again now and
look so pretty on the green grass..

A few days ago two of the Brown Thrasher offspring were taking a dust
bath at the edge of the driveway in a disintegrated spot. They were
having a blast.  I finally decided to take a video of them.

A surprise bird near the birdbath yesterday afternoon was a Blue-gray
Gnatcatcher.  It has been a while since I've seen one of those.

Bruni Haydl

Charles Town

Back to top
Date: 6/23/19 5:46 pm
From: Herb and Sarah Myers <hesemyers...>
Subject: Herons and Thrushes
On our way through Canaan Valley this morning, we stopped to drop off some
recycling. At the pond beside Big John's Restaurant, there was a pair of
Green Herons feeding along the edge. I hope they nest in the vicinity.

Then we hiked the HooDoo/Moon Rocks trail on the Yellow Creek Preserve.
That is a property that the WV Land Trust is raising money to purchase.
When I submitted my bird count for the 4.5-mile loop to eBird, they
questioned my count of 16 Hermit Thrushes. I assured them that we were
rarely out of hearing of a Hermit Thrush. I suspect I may have even
undercounted them. Maybe I should have broken the loop down into two
sections?

Eastern Towhees nudged out the thrushes for first place with 17. Ovenbirds
were a close third with 15. The predominant warblers otherwise were Common
Yellowthroat, Black-throated Green, Chestnut-sided, Canada and
Black-throated Blue in that order.

One last thing from Casey's good walk yesterday at the refuge boardwalk was
a pair of Cedar Waxings that were nest building. One of them may have been
sitting on the nest. It seems early for them to be nesting. Herb Myers,
Harman from Tucker County again

Back to top
Date: 6/23/19 11:59 am
From: Casey Rucker <autoblock...>
Subject: Baby birds (Tucker) plus query re Tufted Duck
Hi, all,

On Friday I saw my first juvenile Rose-breasted Grosbeak being fed by dad at
my feeders. Yesterday in our bird walk at the Freeland boardwalk we watched
a male Yellow Warbler feeding his young, and in my yard a just-fledged
Eastern Phoebe made an appearance. Other baby birds lately have included
Hairy and Downy woodpeckers, Common Grackle, and Northern Cardinal.

On another subject altogether, I received a report from Hullet Good that he
saw a juvenile Tufted Duck at Coonskin Park in Kanawha County on March 1.
Has anyone spoken to Hullet about this sighting, or received word of it? It
would be the first state record, and I'm sure the Bird Records Committee
would be interested!

Thanks for any help!

Good birding,

Casey Rucker

Dry Fork, WV

Back to top
Date: 6/22/19 7:48 am
From: Herb and Sarah Myers <hesemyers...>
Subject: Warbler
While waiting at the Canaan Valley National Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center
for Casey's bird walk this morning, we heard and then saw a Pine Warbler in
the conifers around the parking lot. We were excited as they are seldom
seen here in the valley. Herb Myers, Harman from Tucker County

Back to top
Date: 6/22/19 6:42 am
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - Mercer County Landfill, Jun 21, 2019
Date: 6/21/19 4:51 pm
From: Joshua Holland <jhollandua...>
Subject: Re: Nesting Least Bitterns (Mason)
I found one fledgling this evening in the same spot the adult male flew to
yesterday evening. The young bird was pretty good sized already. Maybe 1/2
to 3/4 the size of a fully grown bird. I watched it stumble along the
cattails for a couple of minutes before it ducked down into cover. An adult
was heard calling intermittently near the southern dead end path but no
visual.

Will post some back of camera pics to the Mountain State Birders facebook
page.

Josh Holland
Huntington, WV

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019, 9:22 AM Joshua Holland <jhollandua...> wrote:

> I have periodically checked the nature trail ponds at Robert C Byrd Locks
> for the past couple of weeks since we first discovered a potential nesting
> pair of Least Bitterns. The birds were first seen together on 6/6 and last
> seen by David Patick on 6/11.
>
> After two weeks of misses, yesterday evening I heard the male calling from
> dense cover on the south end of the pond. I listened for close to 20
> minutes before the bird flew to a more difficult to access stand of
> cattails on the southeast side of the pond. I watched the area a bit longer
> and saw the male bird come out and perch in the open, but the heavy winds
> quickly pushed him back into cover. No sign of the female this time as I
> suspect she is tucked away on the nest.
>
> Based on the nesting pattern information I have been able to find, I
> expect to potentially see some young birds over the next couple of weeks.
> My gut feeling is that the adult birds have been busy on the nest and thus
> more difficult to locate. That I heard the male calling yesterday is a good
> sign that their initial nesting duties may be finished and we could see
> fledglings any day now.
>
> If anyone has a resource for info about the nesting habits of these birds
> I would love to read more into it.
>
> Josh Holland
> Huntington, WV

Back to top
Date: 6/21/19 1:05 pm
From: Randy Bodkins <randybodkins...>
Subject: Bobwhite/Grant County
I found the Bobwhite again this year !! 11:30 am, (6/21/19) It was within 25 yards of the Limousine Way/Hougeland Road intersection. I pulled into the intersection with both windows down. Sat there for about 5 minutes; hearing just Prairie Warblers & Field Sparrows..I didn't like the way I was sitting so I turned the truck around facing the intersection and parked in the grass.

After about 2 or 3 minutes, he started making one note calls and was close..A tractor went by and everything was quiet for about 3-4 more minutes and he started doing the real Bobwhite call..He did it 6 times then shut up for good. It was getting pretty windy by then. There is a tall, large fat cedar tree there with a short fat one right beside it. He was just beyond those 2 trees.

I did not find any Dickcissel or Blue Grosbeaks

Randy Bodkins
Norton, WV

Back to top

Date: 6/20/19 9:10 pm
From: Cynthia Burkhart <000000990b36e23b-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Nesting Killdeer
While a group of us ladies were in the parking lot of the Ellenboro VFD this afternoon, waiting for the truck bringing our co-op order, we were entertained by a male Killdeer repeatedly performing his distraction display. I finally realized we were standing about 8 feet from a female on her gravel nest.
I was lucky enough to have my camera in the car, and got some shots of both birds. Ebird report attached.
Cynthia Burkhart
Ritchie

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S57549883
Sent from my iPad

Back to top
Date: 6/19/19 5:02 pm
From: Donna Mitchell <dmitchellbirding...>
Subject: barn owl
My neighbor just came over to tell us that they found owls on the floor of an abandoned silo next to their house. She showed me a photo she just took of 5 baby barn owls. She didnt know if theyve been there in the past.
Also new for us is a great blue heron nest on a different neighbors property but we can see it from our porch.

Donna Mitchell
Barbour County

Back to top
Date: 6/19/19 3:54 pm
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Ospreys & young turkey vulture
We saw 2 ospreys on Bluestone Lake in Bluestone S.P. today. One was
carrying a fish.

We usually keep a running species total for fledglings seen from our acre.
We have about a dozen species so far for 2019.
The big surprise just happened. We have a young turkey vulture perched on a
pine stump just outside our kitchen window. It seems to be watching the
songbirds at the feeders.
Maybe, I should go look for some roadkill for the feeder area.
Jim Phillips
Summers County
Pipestem, WV

Back to top
Date: 6/19/19 5:59 am
From: Randy Bodkins <randybodkins...>
Subject: Ruffed Grouse Brood/Tucker County
I saw my first grouse brood yesterday (6/18/19) afternoon on Backbone Mountain..They were big enough to fly up into chest high spicebushes..I only actually saw 4 young but, there were several more calling in the nettles..Managed to blow a couple of nice photos, too !!

Randy Bodkins
Norton, WV

Back to top
Date: 6/18/19 4:33 pm
From: Ms Diane Holsinger <0000002c027a27a0-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Osprey
On my way over to bird with Kathy & Jane

I saw an Osprey at Baker

Diane Holsinger

Back to top
Date: 6/18/19 9:45 am
From: Mike Griffith <birdonawire47...>
Subject: Common Loon
Gallipolis Ferry (Mason Co.)

On Sunday, June 16, Gary Rankin, Janet Keating, David Patick, and I observed a nice breeding plumage Common Loon. The bird was still present today.

Mike Griffith
Huntington

Back to top
Date: 6/18/19 6:25 am
From: Ryan Tomazin <wvwarblers...>
Subject: Randolph County - Cowbird parasitism of a Black-and-white Warbler nest
Hello All,

During the Brooks Bird Club Foray last week, my wife and I found a Black-and-white Warbler nest that I got some reasonable video of. When we played the video on the projector back at camp, I noticed the baby Brown-headed Cowbird in the nest.

If you'd like the link to the YouTube video, let me know. I don't know if it'll post correctly here, and I don't use Facebook. It is rare to see baby BAWWs as it is, and they are adorable enough to start.

I plan on posting a "highlights of the Foray" post sometime soon, as there were lots of good birds in Randolph County.

Cheers,

Ryan Tomazin - Bridgeville, PA

Back to top
Date: 6/17/19 10:11 pm
From: Ron Kingston <kingston...>
Subject: Announcing the 25th Annual Purple Martin Field Day

Announcing the 25th Annual Purple Martin Field Day

This Saturday, June 22, 2019

Time: 11:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.

Location: Central Virginia (Louisa County) (40 miles west of Richmond)

The 25th Annual Purple Martin Field Day See
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.purplemartinfieldday.org&sa=D&
sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNHUTZ03YDKxFQ8_hHKkJXV93jEjSw> www.purplemartinfieldday.org

This year, we are scheduling a full program! Plan to arrive before 11:00
a.m. so you won't miss the Door Prize give-away (including free GOURDS!) and
the beginning of the presentations.

Lance Wood and several other speakers will teach you how to get martins,
get more martins, and manage them properly so you won't lose them.

Which martin housing is the safest?-gourds or houses? Do martins like
gourds or houses better?

COME AND FIND OUT!!!

You will learn how to protect martins from snakes, hawks, owls, raccoons,
House Sparrows, Starlings, wind damage, and lightning, as well as how to
grow gourds and turn them into martin homes. You'll receive free equipment
catalogs and literature about martin attraction and management. Bring a bag
lunch to eat while you listen to the presentations and watch the martins
feeding their nestlings! Then visit with other martin-lovers!-including
landlords who post on the PMCA Forum and Facebook page!

See
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.purplemartinfieldday.org&sa=D&
sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNHUTZ03YDKxFQ8_hHKkJXV93jEjSw> www.purplemartinfieldday.org
for directions, photos, and to find out what to bring (and NOT to bring!)

Questions? Call Kathy at (434) 222-1831 (You must leave a voicemail; She'll
call you back!)

Join us on Facebook!