WV-BIRD
Received From Subject
10/21/24 4:35 pm C <empidonaxdvg...> RFI - Red Crossbill feeding observations
10/21/24 1:55 pm Bruni Haydl <bruni...> More new arrivals
10/21/24 3:48 am James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Meteors & an owl
10/18/24 10:08 am Mike Griffith <birdonawire47...> Nelson's Sparrow
10/17/24 2:40 pm 'Nam Vet <namvet45...> Re: New arrival
10/17/24 12:35 pm Bruni <bruni...> New arrival
10/16/24 2:35 pm Derek Courtney <derek.dana.courtney...> Re: Yell
10/16/24 2:08 pm Terry Bronson <birdsbybronson...> Re: Yell
10/16/24 12:47 pm Richard Gregg <greggra...> Yell
10/14/24 3:55 pm James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Fwd: eBird Report - East River Mountain Overlook, Mercer County, WV, Oct 14, 2024
10/14/24 6:51 am MFowler <monty...> Bluebirds and a hawk
10/13/24 3:04 pm James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Fwd: eBird Report - East River Mountain Overlook, Mercer County, WV, Oct 13, 2024
10/13/24 1:45 pm James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Kinglets
10/13/24 11:06 am Mindy Waldron <wvwaldron...> Big Sit results for Bibbee Nature Club
10/13/24 8:08 am Derek Courtney <derek.dana.courtney...> Morgantown Christmas Bird Count
10/13/24 4:14 am Bruni <bruni...> New arrival
10/10/24 4:14 pm James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Fwd: eBird Report - East River Mountain Overlook, Mercer County, WV, Oct 10, 2024
10/10/24 7:40 am James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Fwd: eBird Report - East River Mountain Overlook, Mercer County, WV, Oct 9, 2024
10/9/24 10:11 am jerry Kruth <00000005ead0dac6-dmarc-request...> Re: Woodpecker Day
10/8/24 5:00 am Hannah Clipp <hlclipp...> Re: Mountaineer Audubon Program on October 8 --- "Avian Conservation Efforts on a Local Natural Gas Pipeline"
10/7/24 4:54 pm Wilma Jarrell <wjar...> great horned owl
10/7/24 6:47 am James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Woodpecker Day
10/7/24 6:42 am James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Fwd: eBird Report - New River Gorge NP--Madams Creek to Sandstone Falls (Summers Co.), Oct 6, 2024
10/6/24 12:41 pm Casey Rucker <autoblock...> Osprey (Tucker)
10/6/24 6:58 am James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Re: eBird Taxonomy update
10/6/24 6:21 am Derek Courtney <derek.dana.courtney...> eBird Taxonomy update
10/5/24 6:20 pm Andy Weaks <awboat...> Re: Ohio county great horned owl
10/5/24 3:55 pm Paul Mckay <paulmck57...> Ohio county great horned owl
10/5/24 7:30 am James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Fwd: eBird Report - East River Mountain Overlook, Mercer County, WV, Oct 4, 2024
10/4/24 5:48 am James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Fwd: eBird Report - East River Mountain Overlook, Mercer County, WV, Oct 3, 2024
10/3/24 11:59 am Bruni <bruni...> Not so fast
10/2/24 4:50 pm James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Fwd: eBird Report - East River Mountain Overlook, Mercer County, WV, Oct 2, 2024
10/1/24 5:03 pm Wilma Jarrell <wjar...> FOS yellow-bellied sapsucker
10/1/24 6:03 am James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Fwd: eBird Report - East River Mountain Overlook, Mercer County, WV, Sep 30, 2024
10/1/24 3:34 am Jack OConnell <jack...> Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks - Greenbrier Co.
9/30/24 6:39 pm Wilma Jarrell <wjar...> Fwd: eBird Report - Proctor, Sep 30, 2024
9/30/24 6:38 pm Wilma Jarrell <wjar...> Fwd: eBird Report - Hannibal Dam/Howard Jeffers Park, Sep 30, 2024
9/30/24 4:06 am Bruni Haydl <bruni...> Hummer Fun
9/29/24 4:40 pm James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Helene remnants in southern WV
9/29/24 4:23 pm James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Hummingbirds
9/29/24 12:45 pm Nancy Moran <nancym...> Late Hummingbirds
9/29/24 10:19 am Andy Weaks <awboat...> Late Hummingbird
9/28/24 5:00 pm Wilma Jarrell <wjar...> Fwd: eBird Report - Fairview Ridge, Sep 28, 2024
9/28/24 4:36 pm James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Fwd: eBird Report - East River Mountain Overlook, Mercer County, WV, Sep 28, 2024
9/27/24 7:09 am Hannah Clipp <hlclipp...> Mountaineer Audubon Program on October 8 --- "Avian Conservation Efforts on a Local Natural Gas Pipeline"
9/27/24 5:22 am James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Grebes on the move
9/26/24 6:48 pm Wilma Jarrell <wjar...> a few migrating birds
9/24/24 7:20 pm Richard Gregg <greggra...> Re: Monarchs?
9/24/24 4:35 pm James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Fwd: eBird Report - East River Mountain Overlook, Mercer County, WV, Sep 24, 2024
9/24/24 6:47 am Paul Mckay <paulmck57...> Ohio County chimney swifts
9/23/24 10:38 am KATHY BILTON <kathy...> Eastern Screech Owl - and Monarchs...
9/23/24 9:15 am Jack OConnell <jack...> Backyard Mini-Fallout (Greenbrier Co.)
9/22/24 3:16 pm James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> East River Mt hawkwatch
9/22/24 6:57 am Paul Mckay <paulmck57...> Ohio county birds
9/22/24 3:22 am Bruni <bruni...> More good birds

Back to top
Date: 10/21/24 4:35 pm
From: C <empidonaxdvg...>
Subject: RFI - Red Crossbill feeding observations
Hi all,

I’m writing to follow up on my previous requests for observations of
eastern red crossbills feeding on conifers.

This is an especially interesting year and time of year for crossbill
feeding behavior. Last year there was a massive white pine cone crop in the
Northeast that lots of type 12, type 2, type 4, and type 1 crossbills fed
on until rather late in the spring. There does not seem to be such a
massive cone crop this fall and most of the types 2 and 4 have returned to
the western US. As such, I’m interested in seeing what the diets of the
type 12 and 1 birds look like in a more “normal” year.

As a reminder, I’m looking for audio recordings of crossbill calls from the
eastern US/Great Lakes with information on the conifers the birds are
feeding on. The recordings do not have to be made with any advanced
equipment – many phone recordings are sufficient. Pictures of the conifer
cones are most helpful. However, if you are comfortable with conifer
identification, notes on which conifers crossbills are feeding on are also
valuable.

Based on contributions from over 100 folks across the eastern US, I’ve
accumulated nearly 1,000 (!) records of eastern red crossbills and the
conifers they’re feeding on. If you’re interested, I’ve posted a little
blurb on my website (
https://ckporter.weebly.com/eastern-red-crossbill-ecology.html)
illustrating and describing the preliminary data for type 12, the crossbill
I have the most data for and am most interested in for this project.

Although there are some intriguing patterns in the data so far, describing
the feeding ecology of type 12 and other eastern call types will require
*much* more data across many seasons and years. So, if you have crossbills
in your area, please consider uploading recordings and conifer information
to eBird. I’ve also created an iNaturalist project (link below) where
observations can be uploaded. If you don’t use eBird or iNaturalist, please
feel free to send me any observations directly.

Thanks a ton for considering my request. Please feel free to reach out with
any questions. Also, please pass this onto anyone you think might be
interested in participating.

Good birding,

Dr. Cody Porter

Hope College

Holland, MI

*iNaturalist project link: *
https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/feeding-ecology-of-eastern-red-crossbills

*Project description link:* https://www.ckporterlab.com/community-science

Back to top
Date: 10/21/24 1:55 pm
From: Bruni Haydl <bruni...>
Subject: More new arrivals
Two days ago, I saw a Brown Creeper moving up the walnut trunk.  Hadn't seen one since late winter.

Yesterday, male and female Purple Finches arrived.  They were back again today eating sunflower chips.
I still have Yellow-rumps in high numbers.  They love the birdbaths, sharing them with Chipping Sparrows, Bluebirds, etc.  A couple of Song sparrows are here too as are the White-throated sparrows.  Heard one singing while walking my dog this morning.

My one legged Starling buddy still stops by every few days.  Not my favorite  species, but I can't help admire it for the way it is dealing with its disability.

Bruni Haydl
Jefferson Co.

⁣Get BlueMail for Android ​

Back to top
Date: 10/21/24 3:48 am
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Meteors & an owl
I watched the sky from 5:57 to 6:27 this morning. Saw 4 meteors and heard a
great horned owl.
When I went out, there was a skunk in the yard. It high-tailed it around
the house and didn't come back. Actually, it wasn't the hightail a skunk
might do but the hightail cattle rustlers would do in an old cowboy movie.
Jim Phillips
Summers County
Pipestem, WV

Back to top
Date: 10/18/24 10:08 am
From: Mike Griffith <birdonawire47...>
Subject: Nelson's Sparrow
I found a Nelson's Sparrow at R.C. Byrd Locks today. About half an hour later, David Johnston and I refound the bird. We had extremely good looks at the bird for several minutes.

Mike Griffith
Huntington

Back to top
Date: 10/17/24 2:40 pm
From: 'Nam Vet <namvet45...>
Subject: Re: New arrival
Juncos? Stand by for snow!

--
*Thank You and Have a Great Day!*

*Caroline and John Snyder*

*Shady Grove Farm, 1602 Nile Rd, Summersville, WV 26651 304-872-4212*

*FIND us on EBAY for Ayam Cemani (Goth Chicken), and Mosaic Chicken Eggs
for Hatching!*
*https://www.ebay.com/sch/shadygrovefarmwv/m.html
<https://www.ebay.com/sch/shadygrovefarmwv/m.html>*

*FIND us on ETSY for **GMO and Soy-Free Chicken and Heritage Duck
Eggs, **Organic
Soaps, Organic Golden Turmeric Paste and home-made Jams and Jellies*
*https://www.etsy.com/shop/ShadyGroveFarmWV
<https://www.etsy.com/shop/ShadyGroveFarmWV>*

*FIND us on Facebook at Shady Grove Farm and the English Baker for stories
and videos of life on our little farm *
*https://www.facebook.com/ShadyGroveDuckEggs/

Date: 10/16/24 2:35 pm
From: Derek Courtney <derek.dana.courtney...>
Subject: Re: Yell
Hi all,

I am going to disagree slightly with Terry on this. The color cast in
Rick's photo is strong, but easily dealt with in Photoshop. The throat
is indeed in yellow and bordered by paler off-white at the cheek.
Terry's point about the facial pattern is correct, eliminating a pure
Audubon's. But I'd say the throat color, facial pattern, and streaking
all add up to a solid intergrade Audubon x Myrtle.

Good birding,
Derek

Back to top
Date: 10/16/24 2:08 pm
From: Terry Bronson <birdsbybronson...>
I think it's just a trick of reflected underlighting. All the underparts
appear yellowish, except for a couple of dark flank streaks. The throat
really doesn't look much darker than the rest of the underparts. Also note
the light area of the throat curling back under the eyes, which is typical
of the Myrtle race, but not the Audubon's. Unless you had a different view
that showed a yellow throat noticeably different than the breast, I'd just
leave it as a Yellow-rumped and edit the species note to indicate that the
lighting appeared to show a yellowish throat.

Terry Bronson
Marietta, OH

On Wed, Oct 16, 2024 at 3:51 PM Richard Gregg <greggra...>
wrote:

> The attached checklist for the Marmet Locks and Dam has a photo of what I
> have labeled as a Yellow-rump Warbler. However, it has a yellow throat
> instead of a white one. The black line at the undertail coverts can
> indicate several species. The yellow wash in the vent area can be a trick
> of lighting but the throat definitely appears yellow to me.
>
> https://ebird.org/checklist/S199146983
>
> Genetic mutation? Or could the recent weather events have shoved/sucked an
> Audubon’s Warbler over to West Virginia?
>
> My best,
> Rick Gregg
> Kanawha Co.

Back to top

Date: 10/14/24 3:55 pm
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - East River Mountain Overlook, Mercer County, WV, Oct 14, 2024
Date: 10/14/24 6:51 am
From: MFowler <monty...>
Subject: Bluebirds and a hawk
We were walking in Woodmere Cemetery on Sunday and saw first a male and then
a female Bluebird, so it seems that there is at least one nesting pair
somewhere in that area.

At breakfast there was a kerfluffle on our covered back deck when a hawk
swooped in, briefly looked at a small white cardboard box, and then whooshed
away. I think it was a Sharp-shinned but it was took quick and startling to
be sure. Never seen that behavior before.

Monty Fowler

Beverly Hills area

Huntington

Back to top
Date: 10/13/24 3:04 pm
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - East River Mountain Overlook, Mercer County, WV, Oct 13, 2024
Date: 10/13/24 1:45 pm
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Kinglets
We grow our peppers in boxes on the bannister of our end porch. That way
they get lots of sun, they are too high for deer to reach and we can sit on
the porch and enjoy shade from the pepper plants.
Insect eating birds patrol the plants, especially Carolina wrens &
chickadees.
This morning, 2 ruby-crowned kinglets attacked each other in the peppers.
After a brief scuffle, one left. The other one sat on a nearby shepherds
crook with his crown exposed. He then returned to exploring the plants just
a few feet from us.
Jim & Judy Phillips
Summers County
Pipestem, WV

Back to top
Date: 10/13/24 11:06 am
From: Mindy Waldron <wvwaldron...>
Subject: Big Sit results for Bibbee Nature Club
Everyone,
There were 3 of us participating in the Big Sit yesterday. We were at our
traditional location at Mountain Valley Lake in Summers County, Jumping
Branch WV. It turned out to be an absolutely beautiful day. You can't
complain when the weather cooperates and you're on the edge of a beautiful
lake, and birdwatching.Temperature started mid 40's and when we left had
risen to 72. There was very little wind for most of our time. We arrived at
8:20 am and left at 1:20 pm.
The waterfowl was basically non-existent.
Here is our list of 35 species.
Canada goose
Gadwall
Wild turkey
Pied-billed grebe
Great blue heron
Black vulture, only 7. This in years past has been a roost for black
vulture. I wondered if something happened to them.
Turkey vulture
Osprey, one kept diving at the water, but never had any luck
Bald eagle, immature it chased after the osprey
Red-tailed hawk
Red-bellied, Downy, Pileated woodpeckers
N. flicker
E. Phoebe
Blue-headed vireo
Blue jay
A. crow
Common raven
Carolina chickadee
Tufted titmouse
White-breasted nuthatch
Carolina wren
Golden-crowned kinglet
A. Robin
Gray catbird
N. mockingbird
E. starling
Cedar waxwing
Yellow-rumped warbler, lots of them flitting around the trees. They kept us
looking, in case it wasn't a yellow-rumped.
E. towhee
Song sparrow
White-throated sparrow
N. cardinal
Red-winged blackbird

Thanks to Alma Lowry and Ann McRae for sharing their time with me yesterday.
Mindy Waldron
Surveyor WV

Back to top
Date: 10/13/24 8:08 am
From: Derek Courtney <derek.dana.courtney...>
Subject: Morgantown Christmas Bird Count
Hi, all!

The Morgantown CBC will be held on Saturday, December 14, 2024. Can we
break 100 species? Can we get more than 100 participants? We were
really close last year which is amazing for WV!

If you are interested in participating this year, let me know. Our
website will be up and running soon with lots of good information:
https://www.mountaineeraudubon.org/cbc-2024.

Feel free to share with friends, family, or anyone else who might be
interested.

You can participate either by joining a group in the field, or
watching birds at your feeders if you live in the count circle. Or
both!

If you have any questions on participating or the CBC in general,
please feel free to contact me. Hope you can join in on the fun!

Good birding,
Derek

Back to top
Date: 10/13/24 4:14 am
From: Bruni <bruni...>
I was thrilled to see the first White-throated sparrows in my flower bed yesterday morning.  Still had a hummingbird two days earlier.  Maybe the light frost Thursday night was responsible.

The bird activity at the birdbath included the White-throated sparrows,
a Field sparrow and some Yellow-rumps in  addition to the regulars such as Cardinals and Bluebirds.

Most of the Cardinals have their adult plumage.  There is one little female that still has a brown bill.  She looks like a little terra cotta fifigurine.  So cute.  One of the Bluebirds coming for live mealworms still has some dapples about the head.

Walking my dog in the morning I saw three turkeys in the neighbor's yard. Pretty sure they were part of the seven seen a few days ago.
A Pileated was here in the morning and again late afternoon.

Bruni Haydl
Jefferson Co

⁣Get BlueMail for Android ​

Back to top
Date: 10/10/24 4:14 pm
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - East River Mountain Overlook, Mercer County, WV, Oct 10, 2024
Date: 10/10/24 7:40 am
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - East River Mountain Overlook, Mercer County, WV, Oct 9, 2024
East River Mountain Overlook, Mercer County, WV, Mercer, West Virginia, US
Oct 9, 2024 12:30 PM - 1:30 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Checklist Comments: unofficial hawk watch - 0-9 mph N wind, 58 degrees
and 0 cloud cover
10 species

Turkey Vulture 13
Broad-winged Hawk 1
Red-tailed Hawk 1 probably a resident
Red-headed Woodpecker 1
Blue Jay 3
American Crow 1
Common Raven 1
Carolina Wren 1
Cedar Waxwing 2
American Goldfinch 1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S198216509

Back to top
Date: 10/9/24 10:11 am
From: jerry Kruth <00000005ead0dac6-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: Woodpecker Day
All seven!!!!  Quite a day Jim!  Kudos!
Jerry Kruth
Pgh

On Monday, October 7, 2024 at 09:47:36 AM EDT, James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> wrote:

In our yard, yesterday, we had red-bellied, downy, hairy and pileated
woodpeckers, northern flicker and our first of the season yellow-bellied
sapsucker. On the way to Athens in Mercer County we saw a red-headed
woodpecker.
Jim & Judy Phillips
Summers County
Pipestem, WV

Back to top
Date: 10/8/24 5:00 am
From: Hannah Clipp <hlclipp...>
Subject: Re: Mountaineer Audubon Program on October 8 --- "Avian Conservation Efforts on a Local Natural Gas Pipeline"
Hi all,

Today's the day! I hope that you can join me and attend the virtual
Mountaineer Audubon program *tonight (Tuesday, October 8) at 7 pm*. The
guest speaker, Andrew MacKenzie, is a recent graduate from the West
Virginia University Division of Natural Resources and the Environment, and
he will be presenting about “Avian Conservation Efforts on a Local Natural
Gas Pipeline”.

*Program Description:*

Andrew will discuss avian conservation efforts on a local natural gas
pipeline. He will briefly discuss the history of avian conservation, the
conservation practices used on a local natural gas pipeline, and the
effectiveness of these efforts.

*About the Speaker:*

Andrew MacKenzie graduated from West Virginia University with his
Bachelor’s of Science in Wildlife and Fisheries Resources in 2021 and a
Masters of Agriculture and Natural Resources in 2024. He has had several
jobs from training alligators, restoring wetlands, and most recently
protecting birds and their nests. Andrew is currently working as an
“Environmental Specialist” with Williams Forestry and Associates.

*Attend the Virtual Meeting:*

This program is free and open to the public -- everyone is welcome! Below
is the Zoom invitation link. Please note that we request that you not share
this link publicly (e.g., Facebook or other social media sites) or with
anyone whom you do not know.

*Cheyenne Carter (Mountaineer Audubon President) is inviting you to a
scheduled Zoom meeting.Topic: Mountaineer Audubon October ProgramTime: Oct
8, 2024 07:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)Join Zoom
Meetinghttps://us06web.zoom.us/j/81651253511
<https://us06web.zoom.us/j/81651253511>Meeting ID: 816 5125 3511*

Good birding,
Hannah
Mountaineer Audubon board member

/* Hannah L. Clipp, PhD *(she/her)
USDA Forest Service Resource Assistant
Associate Wildlife Biologist® | 2017 NSF Graduate Research Fellow

Date: 10/7/24 4:54 pm
From: Wilma Jarrell <wjar...>
Subject: great horned owl

   Heard great horned calling again tonight.

Wilma Jarrell
Wileyville
Wetzel County

Back to top

Date: 10/7/24 6:42 am
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - New River Gorge NP--Madams Creek to Sandstone Falls (Summers Co.), Oct 6, 2024
Date: 10/6/24 12:41 pm
From: Casey Rucker <autoblock...>
Subject: Osprey (Tucker)
Hi, all,

For the first time in weeks our rivers have been flowing, so it was
appropriate for me to see an Osprey and a Belted Kingfisher in Canaan Valley
National Wildlife Refuge on Thursday, where I also jumped a Ruffed Grouse.

Purple Finches have started appearing at the feeders, and migrants have been
enjoying the berries on the Virginia Creeper vines. Dozens of Swainson's
Thrushes, at least a couple of dozen Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers, plus
Northern Flickers and American Robins, have all been feasting. Also
Blue-headed and Red-eyed vireos and Tennessee and Black-throated Green
warblers. The Sharp-shinned Hawk has been showing up too.

Butterflies that are immigrants from the south have been appearing too - in
the last couple of weeks I've seen lots of Sachems, plus Fiery Skipper,
Sleepy Orange, and Cloudless Sulphurs.

Good birding,

Casey Rucker

Dry Fork, WV

Back to top
Date: 10/6/24 6:58 am
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Re: eBird Taxonomy update
Thanks
Will do.
Jim

On Sun, Oct 6, 2024, 9:21 AM Derek Courtney <derek.dana.courtney...>
wrote:

> Hi, all!
>
> This is a reminder that eBird is undergoing its yearly taxonomy
> update. For the most part, nothing will change for WV aside from name
> changes stemming from species splits, or lumps (goodbye, Common
> Redpoll). Those will be done automatically and require no actions.
> But, if you have eBird mobile checklists that are not submitted,
> please do so at your earliest convenience. That way changes can be
> made to all of your checklists. The very last date to do so would be
> October 21. For more information see:
> https://ebird.org/news/2024-taxonomy-update. Thanks!
>
> Good birding,
> Derek

Back to top

Date: 10/5/24 6:20 pm
From: Andy Weaks <awboat...>
Subject: Re: Ohio county great horned owl
2 mornings ago we had a pair of Great Horned Owls dueting. It lasted at
least 20 minutes as I was waking up slowly with it in the background. It
was our first for a while.

Crazier was the night before when a female Barred Owl did the Who Cooks for
you for several minutes, and a male answered from across the holler. Badly
doing Who cooks etc, but then he flew to her and they made all kinds of
crazy sounds. Probably the craziest sounds I have ever heard. It was
awesome. And, a screech owl was calling too.

They, she, he, or some other couple have nested in the white pines next to
the house for several years. Nice to hear them.

Andy

NC Marion Co, WV

On Sat, Oct 5, 2024 at 6:55 PM Paul Mckay <paulmck57...> wrote:

> Night before last I awoke at 3:30 and heard a great horned owl singing.
> This is the first I have heard in a while, probably ten years. Hopefully
> they have worked through an immunity to west nile virus.
> Paul McKay
> Ohio County

Back to top

Date: 10/5/24 7:30 am
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - East River Mountain Overlook, Mercer County, WV, Oct 4, 2024
East River Mountain Overlook, Mercer County, WV, Mercer, West Virginia, US
Oct 4, 2024 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Checklist Comments: unofficial hawk watch - Wind NW 0-4 mph, 80-70%
cloud cover and 63-67 degrees
15 species

Turkey Vulture 14
Sharp-shinned Hawk 3
Bald Eagle 1 immatur
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Broad-winged Hawk 14
Red-tailed Hawk 4 3 probably residents
Red-headed Woodpecker 1
Pileated Woodpecker 1
Blue Jay 11
American Crow 6
Common Raven 1
Carolina Chickadee 1
Tree Swallow 8
White-breasted Nuthatch 1
Rose-breasted Grosbeak 3

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S197601351

Back to top
Date: 10/4/24 5:48 am
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - East River Mountain Overlook, Mercer County, WV, Oct 3, 2024
Date: 10/3/24 11:59 am
From: Bruni <bruni...>
Subject: Not so fast
After more than a week of rainy and dreary weather, I decided it was time to put away my three hummingbird feeders.  I had just finished cleaning them when a hummingbird appears at one of the feeder locations.  Drat!  OK, one more batch of nectar coming up.  It came back to nectar and was there early this morning.  Of course they can nectar on my flowers as well.

An Ashville warbler paid a visit, hunting for bugs among the asters.  Cute little bird.  Chickadees and Titmice are harvesting the tithonia seeds.  The one legged Starling was back and taking a bath.   That gray head and spotted body combination is interesting.

Bruni Haydl
Jefferson County

⁣Get BlueMail for Android ​

Back to top
Date: 10/2/24 4:50 pm
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - East River Mountain Overlook, Mercer County, WV, Oct 2, 2024
Date: 10/1/24 5:03 pm
From: Wilma Jarrell <wjar...>
Subject: FOS yellow-bellied sapsucker

      Going to pick okra in garden flushed sapsucker out of apple tree.  It landed on dead branch where we got good looks. It was a juvenile.

Wilma Jarrell
Wileyville
Wetzel County

Back to top
Date: 10/1/24 6:03 am
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - East River Mountain Overlook, Mercer County, WV, Sep 30, 2024
Date: 10/1/24 3:34 am
From: Jack OConnell <jack...>
Subject: Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks - Greenbrier Co.
For about a week I have been hearing Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks around my property, but they had not appeared at my feeders until a few days ago. Yesterday I had three at the feeder, one female and two immature males. It is fun to see these occasional feeder birds in migration. Maybe I'll see them again in the Spring! Jack

Back to top
Date: 9/30/24 6:39 pm
From: Wilma Jarrell <wjar...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - Proctor, Sep 30, 2024
Wilma Jarrell
Wileyville
Wetzel County

Date: 9/30/24 6:38 pm
From: Wilma Jarrell <wjar...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - Hannibal Dam/Howard Jeffers Park, Sep 30, 2024
Wilma Jarrell
Wileyville
Wetzel County

Date: 9/30/24 4:06 am
From: Bruni Haydl <bruni...>
Subject: Hummer Fun
This has been a great summer for hummingbirds.  Two of them have still
been her daily for the last week.  So much fun to watch their
interaction with the other birds.  A small warbler was sitting on the
garden wire by the birdbath.  All of a sudden a hummingbird does the U
shaped maneuver in front of him.  It was a more shallow U than the one
they do the female.  The warbler was following, turning his head from
left to right as if he were watching a tennis match.  This was a new
behavior for me.    They also seem to be quite territorial.  Their
favorite and most used perch is a dried sassafras branch I brought home
and put in front of the quince shrub.  Yesterday two chickadees were
sitting on it when a hummingbird started buzzing them and made them
move.  Then he took his usual spot.

My neighbor and birding buddy has had an immature male and a female
Red-breasted Grosbeak for a few days.  They are in her dogwood feasting
on the berries.

I forgot to post the Ovenbird In my ground bath last week. Those stripes
on the head reminded me of chipmunk markings.

Bruni Haydl
Jefferson Co

Back to top
Date: 9/29/24 4:40 pm
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Helene remnants in southern WV
We had high winds & at least 6" of rain late last week from the hurricane.
Today, we decided to start checking area bald eagle nests for damage from
the storm. A Raleigh County nest along New River was in good shape with 2
adult eagles in the area. A Summers County nest on the Greenbrier River was
in good shape but no eagles were seen. A Monroe County nest on Indian Creek
was in good shape and there was an adult nearby.
New River was very high & Greenbrier River was high. Indian Creek appeared
normal.
The road into Bluestone S.P. was closed as well as the road to the mouth of
the Bluestone River.
Birds, other than eagles observed included a peregrine falcon, 3
double-crested cormorants, turkey vultures and scores of chimney swifts &
tree swallows.
We plan to check more eagle nests when the water recedes and areas become
accessible.
Jim & Judy Phillips
Summers County
Pipestem, WV

Back to top
Date: 9/29/24 4:23 pm
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Hummingbirds
We still have 4 hummingbirds coming to our feeders.
Jim & Judy Phillips
Summers County
Pipestem, WV

Back to top
Date: 9/29/24 12:45 pm
From: Nancy Moran <nancym...>
Subject: Late Hummingbirds
Twice this morning and once this afternoon I observed a female hummingbird on the feeder. In 2019 I saw one on September 30.

Nancy Moran
Raleigh County

Sent from Mail for Windows

Back to top
Date: 9/29/24 10:19 am
From: Andy Weaks <awboat...>
Subject: Late Hummingbird
I was perambulating around the yard with the dog this morning making sure
there were no night time incursions and I almost stepped on a hummingbird.
Not sure if it was window strike, or just cold and tired. It flew away.

A few minutes ago I saw a ratty looking hummer (same one) at my feeder. It
flew up into the cherry but looked rather weak. It preened a little bit and
flew off.

It was the second hummer that I have ever found on the ground, the other
was probably ten years ago and I luckily got it out of the dog's mouth
quick enough to save it. It was cold and wet/slobbered, I held it in my
hands for about 20 minutes and it flew off.

This is by 5 days the latest I have ever had one here. Not sure if it's
gonna make it. But its got fresh sugar water.

Andy
northern Marion Co.

Back to top
Date: 9/28/24 5:00 pm
From: Wilma Jarrell <wjar...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - Fairview Ridge, Sep 28, 2024

Wilma Jarrell
Wileyville
Wetzel County

Date: 9/28/24 4:36 pm
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - East River Mountain Overlook, Mercer County, WV, Sep 28, 2024
East River Mountain Overlook, Mercer County, WV, Mercer, West Virginia, US
Sep 28, 2024 12:30 PM - 3:45 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Checklist Comments: unofficial hawk watch - S winds 8-14 mph, 68
degrees and 75% cloud cover
17 species

Chimney Swift 1
Turkey Vulture 7
Bald Eagle 1 adult
Broad-winged Hawk 19
Red-tailed Hawk 3 probably residents
Red-headed Woodpecker 1
American Kestrel 1
Eastern Phoebe 1
Blue Jay 3
American Crow 38
Common Raven 2
Carolina Wren 1
Field Sparrow 2
Dark-eyed Junco 1
Eastern Towhee 1
Tennessee Warbler 2
Cape May Warbler 3

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S196816784

Back to top

Date: 9/27/24 5:22 am
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Grebes on the move
Yesterday, was too rainy for a hawk watch so we checked the area ponds for
water birds.
We found 12 pied-billed grebes on the water at Glenwood Park and 9
killdeers at the Glenwood Sewage Lagoons, Mercer County and 13 pied-billed
grebes & an adult bald eagle on Falls Mill Lake, Tazewell County.
We had 4" of rain in the last 24 hours and today is forecasted for high
winds.
Jim & Judy Phillips
Summers County
Pipestem, WV

Back to top
Date: 9/26/24 6:48 pm
From: Wilma Jarrell <wjar...>
Subject: a few migrating birds
   Yesterday I saw palm warbler, black-throated  green warbler and Am. redstart.
Today saw a Magnolia warbler and an ovenbird.   Several Swainson's thrush and 2 wood thrush. White-eyed and red-eyed vireo.
Scarlet tanagers and cedar waxwings.

Wilma Jarrell
Wileyville
Wetzel County

Back to top
Date: 9/24/24 7:20 pm
From: Richard Gregg <greggra...>
Subject: Re: Monarchs?
This is the same at almost all the places I visit in Kanawha Co. Not only for Monarchs, but for ALL pollinators. Large fields of flowers have only a few native bees, honeybees or anything else.
What happened? Herbicides working their way through the food change??

Rick Gregg
Kanawha Co.

> On Sep 22, 2024, at 5:11 PM, jerry Kruth <00000005ead0dac6-dmarc-request...> wrote:
>
> I wanted to followup on Andy's remark on Monarchs. Although we are in PA, (and sometimes NJ), this year has been the fewest observations of monarchs I've ever seen.
> Jerry KruthPgh
>

> On Monday, September 16, 2024 at 09:46:51 AM EDT, Andy Weaks <awboat...> wrote:
>
> I wish we had honey bees around. I have only seen a few this year. We do
> have a huge issue with yellowjackets so I don't really care if they get
> trapped. I've had 4 nests just in the yard and one in the walls of our
> house.
>
> I have only seen 2 Monarchs and we've had the best milkweed production
> ever.
>
> All of our deer have died too from Hemorrhagic Disease. There may be a fawn
> or two left but I haven't seen one in the last 3 days.
>
> It has not been a good year around here.
>
> Andy
> North central Marion Co.
>
> On Mon, Sep 16, 2024 at 8:17 AM MFowler <monty...> wrote:
>
>> I use the plastic bee guard grids on our hummingbird feeder, even though
>> they are difficult to clean ever week. Yesterday I noticed a huge swarm of
>> bees around the feeder and on investigating, found that one of the bee
>> guard
>> grids had fallen off - and honeybees had crawled INSIDE the glass feeder
>> bottle. A LOT of bees. So I gingerly took the feeder down, opened it up on
>> the driveway and rinsed off the writhing mass. All but one or two
>> eventually
>> flew off, thankfully. Moral of the story: Use the bee guards.
>>

>> Monty Fowler
>>
>> Beverly Hills area
>>
>> Huntington

Back to top
Date: 9/24/24 4:35 pm
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - East River Mountain Overlook, Mercer County, WV, Sep 24, 2024
Date: 9/24/24 6:47 am
From: Paul Mckay <paulmck57...>
Subject: Ohio County chimney swifts
While feeding my horse about a dozen chimney swifts flew over. I have not
seen any for a while, so these I am sure are migrants and may be the last I
see for the year. Always like to notice the first and last of this species
since they are dependant upon warm weather and announce to me the beginning
and end of it.
Paul McKay
Ohio County

Back to top
Date: 9/23/24 10:38 am
From: KATHY BILTON <kathy...>
Subject: Eastern Screech Owl - and Monarchs...
Going out for a late walk the night of the 18th, I heard a sort of
whinnying sound that was not familiar to me. I pulled out Merlin which
quickly identified what I was hearing as an Eastern Screech Owl. I don't
remember ever hearing one before, and the only time I ever saw one was
about 3 years ago at a little place called Mt. Briar Wetlands, a small
park area a few miles from Sharpsburg.
https://www.washco-md.net/parks-facilities/county-park/parks-mt-briar/
FYI: Here's a survey from 1987 which includes a bird list:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jvarGXNHzkVb_RGloG8so-Gdqbw4vdGU/view?usp=sharing

I wasn't seeing a lot of monarchs early, but a few days ago, I saw 7
caterpillars in a small (accidental) stand of common milkweed by my house.
(I say accidental because several years ago, one milkweed plant showed up;
the next year, 5 and so forth...) I also saw a couple of cats a few weeks
ago on some Butterflyweed as well as on some Swamp.)

--Kathy
A couple of miles into Maryland across the Rumsey Bridge by Shepherdstown

Back to top
Date: 9/23/24 9:15 am
From: Jack OConnell <jack...>
Subject: Backyard Mini-Fallout (Greenbrier Co.)
Yesterday morning in my large (20' X 100') wildflower garden I saw a remarkable sight. Roughly two dozen Tennessee Warblers descended upon my garden and stayed for about 10 minutes before disappearing as fast as they arrived. I have never seen such a large group of warblers of a single species. This morning about a dozen came back but for just a minute or two. Still cool! Jack

Back to top
Date: 9/22/24 3:16 pm
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: East River Mt hawkwatch
https://ebird.org/checklist/S196122683

Back to top
Date: 9/22/24 6:57 am
From: Paul Mckay <paulmck57...>
Subject: Ohio county birds
Today, as always, I ran the merlin app while standing at the pasture gate
in the morning sunshine feeding our horse. Surprisingly the app showed a
white throated sparrow 4 times over 5 minutes. My experience is that the
app "self corrects" so a wrong ID is only shown once, or on a rare occasion
with me, twice. As examples, in winter b.c. Chickadee pops up first one
time then consistently Carolina. Once Summer Tanager popped up twice then
Orchard Oriole (the songs are so close the Oriole attacked the tanager
song).
But today I could barely hear the call even when I replayed it.The fact
that over time it popped up again and again is usually a correct song. Not
enough for an ID but interesting, maybe early migrant of a very interesting
species, maybe a miscall by the app.
Paul McKay
Ohio County by West Lib

Back to top
Date: 9/22/24 3:22 am
From: Bruni <bruni...>
Subject: More good birds
Late afternoon I sat by the bedroom window to watch the birdbath activity.  It did not disappoint.  What a thrill to see what I believe was the male Scarlet Tanager.  The scapulars were much darker than those of the bird I'd seen earlier in the day.

There were two gorgeous Black-throated Greens in the ground bath. A group of Robins were also waiting their turn.  Several Bluebirds, two youngsters among them.  They are slowly losing their spotted plumage.  Male Goldfinches too are starting to look splotchy, loosing their bright yellow feathers.  The purple and pink asters behind the birdbath made for a colorful background.  A Common Yellowthroat was moving through the flowers, looking for insects.  Nice to be able to watch this from only 15 ft away.

A Phoebe, Mockingbird and Chipping Sparrow were also here.  The Cardinals seem to have had a productive summer.   It is great to see them in such good numbers.  Watching the youngsters begging and getting fed never gets old.

Bruni Haydl
Jefferson Co

⁣Get BlueMail for Android ​

Join us on Facebook!