WV-BIRD
Received From Subject
3/27/24 7:21 pm Andy Weaks <awboat...> chewink
3/27/24 9:05 am cynthia burkhart <000000990b36e23b-dmarc-request...> Tree swallows and nesting goose
3/26/24 8:01 pm Bruni <bruni...> Bully bird
3/20/24 4:53 am James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> FOS purple martin
3/19/24 12:07 pm Bruni Haydl <bruni...> Spring arrivals
3/19/24 3:32 am Jack OConnell <jack...> Purple Finches - Greenbrier Co.
3/18/24 8:41 am James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Fwd: eBird Report - Lowell, Mar 17, 2024
3/17/24 2:46 pm Casey Rucker <autoblock...> Signs of spring (Tucker)
3/17/24 8:03 am Derek Courtney <derek.dana.courtney...> eBird Server Maintenance
3/17/24 7:11 am James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Fwd: eBird Report - Bluestone S.P., Meador Campground, Mar 16, 2024
3/16/24 2:37 pm Derek Courtney <derek.dana.courtney...> Cheat Lake Waterbird Report
3/16/24 11:35 am Donna Mitchell <dmitchellbirding...> snipe, mergansers
3/16/24 8:10 am Paul Mckay <paulmck57...> Fwd: eBird -- mckay farm -- Mar 16, 2024
3/16/24 8:03 am Paul Mckay <paulmck57...> eBird -- mckay farm -- Mar 16, 2024
3/15/24 4:16 pm Herb and Sarah Myers <hesemyers...> Ducks
3/15/24 10:25 am LeJay Graffious <lejaygraffious...> eBird -- Old Hemlock -- Mar 15, 2024
3/14/24 6:17 pm James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> What an afternoon!
3/14/24 12:30 pm James Speicher <0000011f2d18fdda-dmarc-request...> Re: Pi Birding
3/14/24 11:31 am James Speicher <0000011f2d18fdda-dmarc-request...> Pi Birding
3/13/24 5:17 pm Wade Snyder <dry_fly_fisherman1...> White-breasted Nuthatch nest building
3/13/24 3:58 pm Bruni <bruni...> Eaglets!
3/13/24 2:39 pm laura ceperley <ceperleylau...> Bird walk in Canaan Valley, 8 am, Saturday March 16, CV National Wildlife Refuge
3/13/24 9:05 am James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> FOS Osprey
3/12/24 12:18 pm Jim Triplett <jtrippy...> Ring-necked Duck
3/12/24 6:58 am James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Fwd: eBird Report - Glenwood Sewage Lagoons, Mar 11, 2024
3/10/24 4:16 pm James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Fwd: eBird Report - New River Gorge NP--Madams Creek to Sandstone Falls (Summers Co.), Mar 10, 2024
3/10/24 4:16 pm James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Fwd: eBird Report - Bellepoint Park, Hinton, Mar 10, 2024
3/10/24 9:42 am MFowler <monty...> Woodpecker bonanza
3/10/24 7:38 am cynthia burkhart <000000990b36e23b-dmarc-request...> Pine warbler
3/8/24 3:07 pm Derek Courtney <derek.dana.courtney...> Cheat Lake Waterfowl trip --- 3/16/24
3/8/24 1:15 pm James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Finch & warbler
3/6/24 6:16 am James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Spring happenings
3/6/24 5:35 am Casey Rucker <autoblock...> Common Mergansers (Tucker)
3/5/24 7:57 am Hannah Clipp <hlclipp...> Fwd: Zoom Link for Mountaineer Audubon Meeting on March 12
3/5/24 3:55 am Jack OConnell <jack...> Turkey Vulture Golf
3/4/24 3:51 pm James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Woodcock
3/4/24 9:20 am Bruni <bruni...> Tree Swallows
3/4/24 7:15 am Paul Mckay <paulmck57...> Ohio County
3/4/24 7:10 am James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Fwd: eBird Report - New River Gorge NP--Madams Creek to Sandstone Falls (Summers Co.), Mar 3, 2024
3/4/24 7:09 am James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Fwd: eBird Report - Bluestone S.P., Meador Campground, Mar 3, 2024
3/4/24 6:32 am Andy Weaks <awboat...> Red-winged Blackbird
3/4/24 2:02 am Sarah Anderson <0000004de8cd7385-dmarc-request...> Canaan Valley Tucker Co American Woodcock
3/3/24 5:31 am emeraldjo <00000187ab264c07-dmarc-request...> Sandhill cranes Barbour Co
3/3/24 5:13 am Bruni <bruni...> Good timing
3/1/24 10:31 am Bruni Haydl <bruni...> Hawk day
3/1/24 9:46 am James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Fwd: eBird Report - Glenwood Park, Feb 29, 2024
3/1/24 9:46 am James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Fwd: eBird Report - Glenwood Sewage Lagoons, Feb 29, 2024
2/29/24 8:26 pm James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Broad-winged hawks
2/29/24 1:45 pm laura ceperley <ceperleylau...> March birding in Canaan Valley
2/29/24 11:19 am Hannah Clipp <hlclipp...> Fwd: Mountaineer Audubon Program on Tuesday, Mar 12 - "Science in the Scope" with WVU Graduate Students!
2/29/24 4:27 am James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> First birds this morning
2/28/24 4:39 pm laura ceperley <ceperleylau...> March bird walks in Canaan Valley
2/28/24 1:10 pm James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Fwd: eBird Report - Bluestone S.P., Meador Campground, Feb 28, 2024
2/28/24 1:08 pm James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Fwd: eBird Report - Bluestone SP--Mouth of the Bluestone, Feb 28, 2024
2/28/24 1:06 pm James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Fwd: eBird Report - Bellepoint Park, Hinton, Feb 28, 2024
2/28/24 1:02 pm James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Fwd: eBird Report - New River Gorge NP--Madams Creek to Sandstone Falls (Summers Co.), Feb 28, 2024
2/28/24 12:59 pm James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Fwd: eBird Report - Mountain Valley Lake, Feb 28, 2024
2/27/24 5:59 am Paul Mckay <paulmck57...> Fist Red Winged Blackbird
2/27/24 5:27 am Wilbur Hershberger <00000112844fb3c8-dmarc-request...> FOY Eastern Phoebe
2/27/24 5:23 am Jack OConnell <jack...> Purple Finch - Greenbrier Co.

Back to top
Date: 3/27/24 7:21 pm
From: Andy Weaks <awboat...>
Subject: chewink
said the first towhee of the year today.

Northern Marion Co.

Back to top
Date: 3/27/24 9:05 am
From: cynthia burkhart <000000990b36e23b-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Tree swallows and nesting goose
The first of the year’s tree swallows arrived this morning. I’ve counted six so far, hanging around the nest boxes they use every year in the pasture.
Meanwhile, a pair of Canada geese has, for several weeks, been spending their days at the small pond in our front yard, as they have for the past several springs. About 6 days ago, I was only seeing one there most of the time; very rarely the pair. One day I decided to see if the other goose was over at the big pond. When I left the yard, the solitary goose was still in the front yard pond, but he must have been watching where I was headed, because when I got to the big pond, there were both geese placidly paddling around. So today I went over to the big pond again to look for the “missing” goose…and there she was, sitting on a nest by the water’s edge. Both geese are very calm, even when I get within 10’.(I did not get that close to the nesting goose!) This will be our first goose nest here; hoping it will be successful.
While I was walking out to the big pond, a great blue heron flew over in the distance, and a pileated woodpecker was busy drumming. The phoebe was hanging out in his usual dogwood tree, occasionally flying over to the tractor shed, where a pair regularly nests.
OH! And the sun was shining!
Ain’t spring wonderful!?
Cynthia Burkhart
Ritchie County
Sent from my iPad

Back to top
Date: 3/26/24 8:01 pm
From: Bruni <bruni...>
Subject: Bully bird
The eaglets are growing but still covered in down.  A few days ago I  watched one of the adults feed them.  Today the older of the two kept pecking the younger one, actually pulling at his skin and wing.  I was hoping the parent would intervene but she seemed unconcerned. Hopefully it was normal sibling rivalry but I found it upsetting to watch and decided to come home.

On Sunday I was surprised to see a Pine Siskin among the Goldfinches on the food tray.  Couldn't see any yellow but the bill and strong coloring looked right.  Just then a female Housefinch landed next to him, confirming my ID.

Bruni Haydl
Charles Town, WV

⁣Get BlueMail for Android ​

Back to top
Date: 3/20/24 4:53 am
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: FOS purple martin
We saw at least one purple martin at Bluestone Dam yesterday. It was in
with a group of tree swallows.
Also, watched 2 ospreys chasing an immature bald eagle from the area where
the ospreys have nested for a few years.
Jim & Judy Phillips
Summers County
Pipestem, WV
"It's spring fever. That is what the name of it is. And when you've got it,
you want - oh, you don't quite know what it is you do want, but it just
fairly makes your heart ache, you want it so!"
- Mark Twain

Back to top
Date: 3/19/24 12:07 pm
From: Bruni Haydl <bruni...>
Subject: Spring arrivals
This sunny but cold and windy day brought the first Chipping Sparrow to
the feeder tray.  He was joined by a male Purple Finch, something I
hadn't seen for a while.  Goldfinches were here in good numbers,
gobbling up the sunflower chips on the feeder trays.

Yesterday morning was brisk and windy but when we got to the cul-de-sac
next door I counted 26 Cedar Waxwings huddled in the neighbors budding
Kwanzan cherry tree. That is the first time I've seen them in that
particular tree.  Quite a surprise.  We also saw three Black vultures
flying fairly low.  Their chalky white legs were very visible.  They
really are beautiful against the blue morning sky.

When I got home I hung out the cube shaped suet basket filled with dog
fur.  Barely got back in the house when a Titmouse was yanking some fur
out already.

I had a small vase of forsythia on the kitchen window sill and when I
walked in I saw the Pileated on the feeder tray.  What a combination!
If I had gotten a photo It would have looked photo shopped.  These big
guys know where I keep the good stuff, the peanut suet dough.

Bruni Haydl
Charles Town, WV

Back to top
Date: 3/19/24 3:32 am
From: Jack OConnell <jack...>
Subject: Purple Finches - Greenbrier Co.
I have been getting 2 to 3 Purple Finches at my feeders for about a month. They stay for just a minute or two and then they are gone. (I wonder where they go?) Yesterday I had SEVEN purple finches, four male and three female! Unlike the previous encounters, they stayed around the feeders all day. Bird behavior is so interesting! Jack

Back to top
Date: 3/18/24 8:41 am
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - Lowell, Mar 17, 2024
Date: 3/17/24 2:46 pm
From: Casey Rucker <autoblock...>
Subject: Signs of spring (Tucker)
Hi, all,

An Eastern Phoebe was singing in the yard today, and a Golden-crowned
Kinglet was singing territorially in Blackwater Falls State Park, where I
also saw my first Mourning Cloak of the year. All the year-rounders have
started proclaiming their territories in the yard, including the Carolina
Wren that seems to have wintered here successfully. A Fox Sparrow paid a
long-awaited visit last week. Spring peepers are vocal.

At the Davis settling ponds this afternoon there were 7 Ring-necked Ducks
and a Bufflehead couple along with two pairs of Canada Geese.

Good birding,

Back to top
Date: 3/17/24 8:03 am
From: Derek Courtney <derek.dana.courtney...>
Subject: eBird Server Maintenance
Hi all!

This is a reminder/alert for those that use eBird. eBird services will be
largely down from March 19-21 for server maintenance. You will not be able
to access eBird, Birds of the World, or the Macaulay Library. Some Merlin
app features will not function either during this time. For those who use
the eBird app, you may still use the mobile app to record your bird
sightings and download them when eBird is back online. The rarity and needs
alerts will also not be available during that time. For more information
see the website posting: https://ebird.org/news/server-migration-2024

Good birding,
Derek

Back to top
Date: 3/17/24 7:11 am
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - Bluestone S.P., Meador Campground, Mar 16, 2024
Date: 3/16/24 2:37 pm
From: Derek Courtney <derek.dana.courtney...>
Subject: Cheat Lake Waterbird Report
Hi, all!

This morning 17 people joined me for a tour around Cheat Lake on
Mountaineer Audubon's field trip in search of migrating waterfowl. I think
we were just a day late for good numbers/diversity. For our spring trips we
really like those southerly, warm winds; overnight precipitation is even
better. But we did our best and had a pleasant morning. Good comparison of
both Greater and Lesser Scaup was nice, as was a fine male Red-breasted
Merganser. Full lists submitted to eBird. Waterbird totals as follows. The
waterfowl walk usually kicks off the Spring Season for Mountaineer Audubon
field trips. Woodcock walks are coming up soon. Lots more to follow as we
get into April and May. Please check the Mountaineer Audubon website and
Facebook page for more information.

Cheat Lake --- Uplake Marinas
Canada Goose 17
Mallard 4
Greater Scaup 3
Lesser Scaup 9
Bufflehead 7
Ring-billed Gull 7

Cheat Lake --- I-68 Bridge
Canada Goose 4
Scaup sp. 5
Bufflehead 2

Cheat Lake --- Sunset Harbor
Canada Goose 26
Pied-billed Grebe 1
Great Blue Heron 1
Belted Kingfisher 1

Cheat Lake --- Cheat Lake Park
Canada Goose 8
Mallard 2
Bufflehead 8
Red-breasted Merganser 1
Belted Kingfisher 2

Thanks to everyone who came out today! Hope to see you all again in the
field soon. Best wishes!

Good birding,
Derek

Back to top
Date: 3/16/24 11:35 am
From: Donna Mitchell <dmitchellbirding...>
Subject: snipe, mergansers
Barbour County: March 16th

2 snipe in wetland around a neighbors farm pond
1 male common merganser- Audra State Park

Back to top
Date: 3/16/24 8:10 am
From: Paul Mckay <paulmck57...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird -- mckay farm -- Mar 16, 2024
Forgot to put Ohio County WV

Date: 3/16/24 8:03 am
From: Paul Mckay <paulmck57...>

Date: 3/15/24 4:16 pm
From: Herb and Sarah Myers <hesemyers...>
Subject: Ducks
We enjoyed a day in Canaan Valley. The ducks seemed to be as well. Someone
came into the visitor center and said there were ducks on the Timberline
lakes. When we finished at the visitor center, we checked out the state
park ponds.

On the ponds along Route 32, there was a pair of Canada Geese and a lone,
female Greater Scaup (photo at this checklist
https://ebird.org/checklist/S164944093) On the settling ponds below the
lodge there was a lone, male Ring-necked Duck and four Wood Ducks split
into two pairs. On the large beaver pond on the right as you are entering
the park, there were five Mallards, six Wood Ducks and a lone, female
Hooded Merganser. Four of the Wood Ducks were perched in a small tree in
the pond.

For a cloudy, rainy, and windy day, the ducks seemed appropriate. Herb
Myers, Keezletown, VA from Tucker County

Back to top
Date: 3/15/24 10:25 am
From: LeJay Graffious <lejaygraffious...>
Subject: eBird -- Old Hemlock -- Mar 15, 2024
A quick turn with the pups between showers.

Old Hemlock
Mar 15, 2024
11:47 AM
Traveling
0.61 miles
25 minutes
All birds reported? Yes
Comments: FISP First of the year. Two kestrels have been consistent near
the box. Fingers crossed that use it.

2 Killdeer
1 Red-headed Woodpecker -- Continuing location for four years. Two nests
found in 2023.
2 Red-bellied Woodpecker
1 Downy Woodpecker
2 American Kestrel
1 Blue Jay
1 American Crow
1 Common Raven
3 Black-capped Chickadee
2 Tufted Titmouse
1 Brown Creeper
2 American Robin
8 House Finch
15 American Goldfinch
2 Field Sparrow -- First of the year
7 Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored)
5 Song Sparrow
1 Eastern Meadowlark
1 Red-winged Blackbird
9 Northern Cardinal

Number of Taxa: 20

Back to top
Date: 3/14/24 6:17 pm
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: What an afternoon!
As we returned home today, we saw an adult bald eagle over Athens, Mercer
County.
When we were about to enter our house, Judy looked up and pointed out an
osprey circling over the house. While I attempted to line it up with my
phone for a photo, Judy looked over at our screech owl nest box and asked
if something was in the hole.
I said it was probably a squirrel but went for the binoculars anyway. To my
surprise, a gray screech owl was perched in the opening. We watch d it for
nearly 30 minutes from our kitchen window.
We looked away and when we looked again it was gone. So, we lined up two
chairs, in the shade where we could watch the box. We discussed whether it
flew or was still in the box. Then the chickadees, titmice & nuthatches
gathered around the box fussing, we decided it was in the box. They gave
up and went on their way after several minutes. While we we sitting there,
a sharp-shinned hawk landed a few feet away from us but didn't stay long.
We went on about our business but checked the box several times over the
next couple of hours. The owl returned to the hole around 6pm. We moved to
the end porch where we could peek around the corner and see the box.
During the next hour, the bird was in the hole. On two occasions, we could
only see it's rear end visible in the hole. We didn't see it leave, but as
it got dark there was no bird in the hole.
Pretty exciting stuff.
Jim & Judy Phillips
Summers County
Pipestem, WV

Back to top
Date: 3/14/24 12:30 pm
From: James Speicher <0000011f2d18fdda-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: Pi Birding
https://ebird.org/checklist/S164824977
Jim Speicher

Yahoo Mail: Search, Organize, Conquer

On Thu, Mar 14, 2024 at 2:31 PM, James Speicher<jugornought...> wrote: Brainstorming (?) on a theme suggested in another listserv, maybe we should all report the first bird seen/heard today @3:14 (1514 on a 24 hour scale)?
...0314 (on a 24 hour scale) is not possible for 2024, but next year...
Jim SpeicherFredCo MD
**************On Thu, Mar 14, 2024, 1:26 PM Pat wrote (edited):Pi Day makes me happy, but seeing our first Osprey of the year made this silly day even better.
PatCrisfield MD

Back to top

Date: 3/13/24 5:17 pm
From: Wade Snyder <dry_fly_fisherman1...>
Subject: White-breasted Nuthatch nest building
Hello all,

For the past couple of weeks, I have been watching WB Nuthatches taking interest in one of my backyard boxes. This evening, I was entertained as I watched the male diligently bringing material to the female. She then would take the material (which best I can tell is fur) and enter the box, only to return back to the top of the box and wait for more materials. They worked in tandem, and it was quite comical to watch. Photos of the pair are attached to the checklist.

Great Spring Birding!

Wade Snyder
Berkeley County

https://ebird.org/checklist/S164744767

Back to top
Date: 3/13/24 3:58 pm
From: Bruni <bruni...>
Subject: Eaglets!
I was thrilled to get a peek at a tiny eaglet in the nest yesterday.  Last year they raised only one youngster.  Today I saw that there were two eaglets.  So cute to see those little ones.  Granted, they are not as visible yet as the ones you see on eagle cams but it is still exciting to be able to observe them.

Bird activity at the feeders has slowed.  The Mockingbird has crowned himself the king of the cedar berry tray.  He will run off other birds but House sparrows and others still manage to sneak in.  A Cedar waxwing was a nice surprise.  The Yellow-rumped also visits.

While adjusting a baffle under a nest box I discovered a complete Bluebird nest but no eggs yet.

The warm temps these last two days have brought out the lovely Spring Azures.

Bruni Haydl
Charles Town, WV

⁣Get BlueMail for Android ​

Back to top
Date: 3/13/24 2:39 pm
From: laura ceperley <ceperleylau...>
Subject: Bird walk in Canaan Valley, 8 am, Saturday March 16, CV National Wildlife Refuge
Spring is here in Canaan - coltsfoots (or is that coltsfeet?), meadowlarks, and wood frogs! Join JJ and me to look and listen for early spring migrants 8 am, this Saturday, March 16, Beall Parking lot on the CV National Wildlife Refuge, up from Cortland Road. Dress for the weather, grab your binoculars (we’ll also have some to borrow), and bring water and snacks to meander 1-2 miles on trails and pavement as we look at birds and other amazing things in our world.

In addition, all are welcome to a presentation about WV’s Wild Yards Program at the CVNWR office, at 6 pm, Saturday, March 16.

As always, this event may be rescheduled or cancelled in the event of inclement weather. Updates for the walks on the CV National Wildlife Refuge will be posted on their Facebook page or their website.

Back to top
Date: 3/13/24 9:05 am
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: FOS Osprey
We saw our first Osprey of the season in Pipestem this morning.
Jim & Judy Phillips
Summers County
Pipestem, WV

Back to top
Date: 3/12/24 12:18 pm
From: Jim Triplett <jtrippy...>
Subject: Ring-necked Duck
12 Ring-necked Duck. Lake on Summer Rd before Rt 92.
Jim Triplett
Canaan Valley, WV

Back to top
Date: 3/12/24 6:58 am
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - Glenwood Sewage Lagoons, Mar 11, 2024
Started the day today(3/12/2024) with a barred owl & a great horned owl.
Date: 3/10/24 4:16 pm
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - New River Gorge NP--Madams Creek to Sandstone Falls (Summers Co.), Mar 10, 2024
Date: 3/10/24 4:16 pm
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - Bellepoint Park, Hinton, Mar 10, 2024
Date: 3/10/24 9:42 am
From: MFowler <monty...>
Subject: Woodpecker bonanza
It's not something you really LIKE to see on your maple trees, because that
means they're not healthy, but we had a mini-bonanza of woodpeckers this
morning going over our sugar maples - Downy, Hairy and Flickers,

Monty Fowler

Beverly Hills area

Huntington

Back to top
Date: 3/10/24 7:38 am
From: cynthia burkhart <000000990b36e23b-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Pine warbler
Had my FOY Pine warbler in the front yard this morning, along with a pair of copulating Canada geese and 45 Common grackles.
Cynthia Burkhart
Ritchie County
Sent from my iPad

Back to top
Date: 3/8/24 3:07 pm
From: Derek Courtney <derek.dana.courtney...>
Subject: Cheat Lake Waterfowl trip --- 3/16/24
Hi, all!

Next Saturday, March 16th, Mountaineer Audubon is sponsoring an outing to
Cheat Lake in search of migrating waterfowl. We will meet at Ruby and
Ketchy's restaurant at 08:00am. If you would like breakfast beforehand, I
will be there at 07:00; feel free to stop in, socialize, and fuel up. As
always, there is no fee to attend, and pre-registration is not required.
There will not be much walking aside from the stop at Cheat Lake Park where
we might hike a little on a flat, well-maintained trail if there are
distant birds on the lake. This trip will plan on going rain or shine as
long as roads are safe to drive. If you have any questions, please feel
free to ask. Hope to see you all there kicking off the St. Patrick's Day
weekend! Wear green for luck :) Best wishes!

Good birding,
Derek

Back to top
Date: 3/8/24 1:15 pm
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Finch & warbler
We just had a pine warbler and a male purple finch at our bird feeder.
Jim & Judy Phillips
Summers County
Pipestem, WV

Back to top
Date: 3/6/24 6:16 am
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Spring happenings
The number of American robins & red-winged blackbirds has increased as has
their vocals.
Towhees & field sparrows started singing on Monday.
While we were listening to a woodcock the other evening we could still hear
a few American toads in with the spring peeper chorus.
Yesterday, we saw our first of the season coltsfoot blooming along the
roadsides and a walk on Pipestem S.P. produced 2 mourning cloak butterflies.
Jim & Judy Phillips
Summers County
Pipestem, WV

Back to top
Date: 3/6/24 5:35 am
From: Casey Rucker <autoblock...>
Subject: Common Mergansers (Tucker)
Hi, all,

Yesterday evening for my first time ever I saw a pair of Common Mergansers
on the Blackwater River, in Canaan Valley State park. Red-winged Blackbird
and Common Grackle have been paying solo visits to my feeders, and last
night a Barred Owl was calling outside my house.

Good birding,

Casey Rucker

Dry Fork, WV

Back to top
Date: 3/5/24 7:57 am
From: Hannah Clipp <hlclipp...>
Subject: Fwd: Zoom Link for Mountaineer Audubon Meeting on March 12
If you are interested in attending the upcoming March Mountaineer Audubon
meeting, which will feature WVU graduate students talking about their
research, please see the below email for the Zoom invitation link.

/* Hannah L. Clipp, PhD *(she/her)

Date: 3/5/24 3:55 am
From: Jack OConnell <jack...>
Subject: Turkey Vulture Golf
Yesterday morning I was scanning some large pastures with my spotting scope when I noticed something odd. A turkey vulture several hundred yards distant was rolling around what at first appeared to be an egg. I zoomed in to get a better look and realized that the "egg" was actually a golf ball! I watched for about 30 minutes as the vulture repeatedly rolled the ball around and defended his "prize" from another vulture. It even picked the ball up a couple of times. The number of vultures grew to five before all of them decided leave the scene. Not something that you see every day... Jack

Back to top
Date: 3/4/24 3:51 pm
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Woodcock
We heard a timberdoodle at 640 this evening.
Jim & Judy Phillips
Summers County
Pipestem, WV

Back to top
Date: 3/4/24 9:20 am
From: Bruni <bruni...>
Subject: Tree Swallows
I was just hanging laundry on the line when I heard the cheerful chatter of Tree swallows.  Already?  Looked up and, sure enough it was about six of them zipping around the two nest boxes they have used in the past.  If they don't lift your spirit, nothing will.  Welcome back.

On our afternoon dogwalk I spotted a lone Cedar waxwing.  Saw it four times, the last time with the late sun highlighting its yellow breast.  Stunning!   It is unusual to see them without companions.

The activity around the bird feeders has slowed down a bit.  I suspect they are looking for a mate and potential housing.  Haven't seen the sapsucker at the suet for a while, but the Hairy and the little Brown creeper are still daily visitors.

Yesterday and today the Song sparrow was singing.  Signs of Spring all around.

Bruni Haydl
Charles Town, WV

⁣Get BlueMail for Android ​

Back to top
Date: 3/4/24 7:15 am
From: Paul Mckay <paulmck57...>
Subject: Ohio County
Today the farm was filled with red winged blackbirds, the first large
group. We have had wood ducks for a week, along with our mallards. On a
more amphibious note, our pond is filled with wood frogs, they sound like
angry ducks, and red spotted newts eating the frog eggs.
Paul McKay
Ohio County near West Lib

Back to top
Date: 3/4/24 7:10 am
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - New River Gorge NP--Madams Creek to Sandstone Falls (Summers Co.), Mar 3, 2024
New River Gorge NP--Madams Creek to Sandstone Falls (Summers Co.), Summers,
West Virginia, US
Mar 3, 2024 2:15 PM - 3:10 PM
Protocol: Traveling
8.0 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: 66 degrees, sunny
1 trout lily in bloom
several spring beauties in bloom
red bat flying around Brooks Falls
22 species

Canada Goose 33
Common Merganser 6
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 7
Mourning Dove 6
Turkey Vulture 8
Bald Eagle 1 adult
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Eastern Phoebe 3
Blue Jay 2
American Crow 12
Carolina Chickadee 2
Tufted Titmouse 3
Tree Swallow 1
White-breasted Nuthatch 1
Carolina Wren 3
Eastern Bluebird 1
American Robin 5
Song Sparrow 3
Red-winged Blackbird 9
Common Grackle 4
Northern Cardinal 4

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S163686001

Back to top
Date: 3/4/24 7:09 am
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - Bluestone S.P., Meador Campground, Mar 3, 2024
Bluestone S.P., Meador Campground, Summers, West Virginia, US
Mar 3, 2024 12:55 PM - 2:07 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.5 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: 66 degrees, sunny
wood frogs & spring peepers calling
1 trout lilly in bloom
28 species

Canada Goose 14
Mallard 18
Ring-necked Duck 1
Hooded Merganser 2
Common Merganser 7
Mourning Dove 4
Turkey Vulture 2
Bald Eagle 2 adults
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Barred Owl 1
Belted Kingfisher 2
Red-bellied Woodpecker 2
Pileated Woodpecker 2
Eastern Phoebe 1
Blue Jay 3
American Crow 7
Carolina Chickadee 2
Tufted Titmouse 1
Tree Swallow 1
White-breasted Nuthatch 1
Carolina Wren 4
Northern Mockingbird 1
Eastern Bluebird 1
Hermit Thrush 1
American Robin 11
White-throated Sparrow 2
Song Sparrow 3
Northern Cardinal 4

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S163685347

Back to top
Date: 3/4/24 6:32 am
From: Andy Weaks <awboat...>
Subject: Red-winged Blackbird
Scared one up at the feeder and then heard it singing.

Had my first Phoebe on the 1st.

North central Marion Co.
Andy

Back to top
Date: 3/4/24 2:02 am
From: Sarah Anderson <0000004de8cd7385-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Canaan Valley Tucker Co American Woodcock
At 4:45am I had to take my dog outside. While I was standing on our deck waiting for him I heard two American Woodcock penting on the CVNWR land at the bottom of the hill below us!

Sarah Anderson
Canaan Valley

Back to top
Date: 3/3/24 5:31 am
From: emeraldjo <00000187ab264c07-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Sandhill cranes Barbour Co
Initially found yesterday in the Pleasant Creek WMA. Today located on a farm beyond the wma, walking the foggy engulfed ridgeline.
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Back to top
Date: 3/3/24 5:13 am
From: Bruni <bruni...>
Subject: Good timing
Despite the light rain I decided to stop and get some berry-laden red cedar branches for my feathered friends.  The Yellow-rumped Warbler was appreciative.

Almost home I spotted something white disappearing from viewing in the field on my right.  Circled back to get a better look and saw a very wet and bedraggled looking adult Bald eagle on a deer carcass, with four crows waiting their turn.

Bruni Haydl
Charles Town, WV
⁣Get BlueMail for Android ​

Back to top
Date: 3/1/24 10:31 am
From: Bruni Haydl <bruni...>
Subject: Hawk day
As I was leaving the house yesterday morning I heard a hawk calling.  It
was the neighborhood Red-shouldered in one of my trees.  Driving along
Marlow Rd I saw a hawk in sitting in my lane. Since there was no car
behind me I stopped to watch him.  Turned out he had a squirrel, no
doubt roadkill.  When a car appeared behind me I slowly started to move
forward.  The beautiful Red-tailed hawk grabbed the squirrel and
clambered up the embankment.  Not an easy feat while carrying a
squirrel.  He flared that rusty tail and seemed to use his wings to move
forward.  I was glad to see that the person behind me stopped to have
good look. Nice to be able to share these little nature episodes.

Later on in the afternoon on the way to Winchester, VA and back I saw
two more Red-tailed hawks and two Kestrels.

Since we had some strong winds Wednesday evening I worried about the
eagles next door.  Took a quick ride down to my neighbor's place and was
relieved to see the nest with a white head in it.

My red cedar branches on the tray are still getting customers, such as
Bluebirds, Mockingbird, Robin, House finches.  Special visitor partaking
of the berries yesterday was a Yellow-rumped warbler. Its colors are
soft except for the bright yellow rump.

A male Cardinal was feeding its mate.  Hadn't seen that for a while.

Bruni Haydl
Charles Town, WV

Back to top
Date: 3/1/24 9:46 am
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - Glenwood Park, Feb 29, 2024
Date: 3/1/24 9:46 am
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - Glenwood Sewage Lagoons, Feb 29, 2024
We didn't do as well as the previous day in Summers County.
Glenwood Sewage Lagoons, Mercer, West Virginia, US
Feb 29, 2024 10:15 AM - 10:25 AM
Protocol: Stationary
Checklist Comments: 30 degrees
9 species

Canada Goose 9
Mallard 12
American Black Duck 1
Ring-necked Duck 35
Killdeer 6
American Crow 1
Northern Mockingbird 1
American Robin 3
Song Sparrow 1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S163335531

Back to top
Date: 2/29/24 8:26 pm
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Broad-winged hawks
We saw our first of the season broadwing today at Falls Mills, Tazewell
County VA & near Athens, Mercer County, WV.
Our earliest date was 3/8/2001.
Jim & Judy Phillips
Summers County
Pipestem, WV

Back to top
Date: 2/29/24 1:45 pm
From: laura ceperley <ceperleylau...>
Subject: March birding in Canaan Valley
Opps - 2 corrections from yesterday’s notice -

Saturday, March 16 (not 19), is the Wild Yards presentation.
AND
Registration is required for the Woodcock Walk (3/29) as space is limited. Folks are welcome to email JJ at <william_yarley...> or call/leave a message at (681) 481-2317.
————
March is a great time to bird in Canaan when early spring migrants set their territories or take a break their way north. Not to mention more daylight and less frigid temperatures for humans. Please join us for one of the walks around the valley. Dress for the weather, grab your binoculars (we’ll also have some to borrow), and bring water and snacks. We’ll meander 1-2 miles on trails and pavement looking at birds and other amazing things in our world.

As always, these events may be rescheduled or cancelled in the event of inclement weather. Updates for the walks on the CV National Wildlife Refuge will be posted on their Facebook page or their website.
—————
Saturday, March 2, 10-noon. Meet Laura at the Nature Center, Blackwater Falls State Park.
Monday, March 4, 11-noon. Program on raptors of WV, Nature Center, BWF State Park.
Saturday, March 9, 9-11 am. Meet Mimi at the Beall Tract parking area, CVNW Refuge.
Saturday, March 16, 6-7pm. Presentation on Wild Yards, Refuge Office, CVNW Refuge.
Sunday, March 24, 8-9 am. Meet Jim at the Freeland boardwalk, CVNW Refuge.
Friday, March 29, 7 PM-8.30. Meet LeJay at the ADA fishing pier, Timberline Road, CVNW Refuge. Registration is required as space is limited. Folks are welcome to email JJ at <william_yarley...> or call/leave a message at (681) 481-2317.
Laura

Back to top
Date: 2/29/24 11:19 am
From: Hannah Clipp <hlclipp...>
Subject: Fwd: Mountaineer Audubon Program on Tuesday, Mar 12 - "Science in the Scope" with WVU Graduate Students!
Just a heads up about the upcoming March program of Mountaineer Audubon ---
mark your calendars to hear about the bird-related research being done by
WVU graduate students!

/* Hannah L. Clipp, PhD *(she/her)

Please mark your calendars for the Mountaineer Audubon March 2024 meeting,
[...]

This program is free and open to the public -- everyone is welcome! Keep an
eye out in the next week or so for the Zoom invitation link, which will be
sent out in a follow-up email.

Good birding,

Hannah

Date: 2/29/24 4:27 am
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: First birds this morning
As Judy stepped out on one porch, this morning 2 Canada geese flew over the
house. At the same time, I stepped out on another porch and an American
woodcock flew out of the yard.
Not a bad start to the day.
Jim & Judy Phillips
Summers County
Pipestem, WV

Back to top
Date: 2/28/24 4:39 pm
From: laura ceperley <ceperleylau...>
Subject: March bird walks in Canaan Valley
March is a great time to bird in Canaan when early spring migrants set their territories or take a break their way north. Not to mention more daylight and less frigid temperatures for humans. Please join us for one of the walks around the valley. Dress for the weather, grab your binoculars (we’ll also have some to borrow), and bring water and snacks to meander 1-2 miles on trails and pavement as we look at birds and other amazing things in our world.

As always, these events may be rescheduled or cancelled in the event of inclement weather. Updates for the walks on the CV National Wildlife Refuge will be posted on their Facebook page or their website.
—————
Saturday, March 2, 10-noon. Meet Laura at the Nature Center, Blackwater Falls State Park.
Monday, March 4, 11-noon. Program on raptors of WV, Nature Center, BWF State Park.
Saturday, March 9, 9-11 am. Meet Mimi at the Beall Tract parking area, CVNW Refuge.
Saturday, March 19, 6-7pm. Presentation on Wild Yards, Refuge Office, CVNW Refuge.

Date: 2/28/24 1:10 pm
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - Bluestone S.P., Meador Campground, Feb 28, 2024
Boy. Are we glad the weather didn't keep us inside working on taxes.
Spring peepers were in chorus at Mt. Valley Lake & Pipestem.
Enjoy the spring!
Bluestone S.P., Meador Campground, Summers, West Virginia, US
Feb 28, 2024 2:40 PM - 2:55 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.25 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: 55 degrees, rain
7 species

Great Blue Heron 1
Bald Eagle 1 adult
Northern Flicker 1
American Robin 18
American Goldfinch 7
Red-winged Blackbird 5
Common Grackle 15

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S163207199

Back to top
Date: 2/28/24 1:08 pm
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - Bluestone SP--Mouth of the Bluestone, Feb 28, 2024
Couldn't resist a stop at Bluestone State Par(see below & next post).
Date: 2/28/24 1:06 pm
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - Bellepoint Park, Hinton, Feb 28, 2024
Next, we came back around on the Rt. 20 side of the river to check a bald
eagle nest. Adult was firmly in place on the eggs. As we returned to
Hinton, we spotted over 100 ring-billed gulls on the football field at
Summers County High School. So, that caused us to check on the Great Blue
Heron rookery at Hinton.
Bellepoint Park, Hinton, Summers, West Virginia, US
Feb 28, 2024 1:25 PM - 1:45 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: rain, 56 degrees
13 species

Mallard 2
Common Merganser 4
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 145
Mourning Dove 1
Ring-billed Gull 4
Great Blue Heron 5
Bald Eagle 1 adult
Belted Kingfisher 1
American Robin 16
Fox Sparrow 1
Song Sparrow 4
Red-winged Blackbird 7
Common Grackle 14

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S163206730

Back to top
Date: 2/28/24 1:02 pm
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - New River Gorge NP--Madams Creek to Sandstone Falls (Summers Co.), Feb 28, 2024
When we reached Hinton, we decided to check from Madams Creek to Brooks
Falls in New River Gorge National Park. That's when the gulls appeared(see
below).
New River Gorge NP--Madams Creek to Sandstone Falls (Summers Co.), Summers,
West Virginia, US
Feb 28, 2024 12:00 PM - 12:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
4.0 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: 56 degrees, rain
10 species

Canada Goose 4
Common Merganser 3
Ring-billed Gull 85
Herring Gull 6
American Crow 5
American Robin 2
Song Sparrow 2
Red-winged Blackbird 3
Common Grackle 1
Northern Cardinal 2

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S163206046

Back to top
Date: 2/28/24 12:59 pm
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - Mountain Valley Lake, Feb 28, 2024
Weather forecast provides a waterfowl & gullapaloosa day!
When the rain let up we checked a private lake near our house and found 10
gadwalls, 2 hooded mergansers, 2 mallards and 18 ring-necked ducks. Next,
we headed to Mt. Valley Lake at Nimitz(see below).
As we left the lake the monsoons moved in with a fury.
Date: 2/27/24 5:59 am
From: Paul Mckay <paulmck57...>
Subject: Fist Red Winged Blackbird
Today was the first red winged Blackbird on our farm. One lonely bird
flying over. Usually they arrive around March 5, so this is early but not
the easiest for me here.
Paul McKay
Ohio County near West Liberty

Back to top
Date: 2/27/24 5:27 am
From: Wilbur Hershberger <00000112844fb3c8-dmarc-request...>
Subject: FOY Eastern Phoebe
I had my FOY male Eastern Phoebe singing in the woods near the house this morning. He only sang a few songs before moving on.
Lots of American Robins were singing and chasing around the woods as well.

Wil Hershberger
Hedgesville, WV

Back to top
Date: 2/27/24 5:23 am
From: Jack OConnell <jack...>
Subject: Purple Finch - Greenbrier Co.
I have been getting a single male Purple Finch at my feeder for about a week. That guy gives me only a fleeting look as he never stays at the feeder for more than a minute or two. I hope that he will bring some friends along in the coming weeks.

I also have about 30 Goldfinches at my feeder at any given time. As hard as I look, I cannot find a Siskin among them. I'll keep looking.

Jack

Join us on Facebook!