WV-BIRD
Received From Subject
11/30/23 5:41 am James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Fwd: eBird Report - East River Mountain Overlook, Mercer County, WV, Nov 29, 2023
11/29/23 12:44 pm Bruni <bruni...> Yard birds
11/27/23 4:12 am James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Fwd: eBird Report - East River Mountain Overlook, Mercer County, WV, Nov 26, 2023
11/26/23 8:18 am Richard Gregg <greggra...> Bird of Note: Common Loon
11/26/23 4:11 am James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Owls 1 - Meteors 0
11/25/23 6:33 pm Nathan Rees <ncrphotography...> Short-eared Owls
11/25/23 5:47 pm James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Golden eagle
11/25/23 12:12 pm laura ceperley <ceperleylau...> Tundras in Canaan
11/25/23 5:01 am Bruni <bruni...> Cooking and birding
11/23/23 2:07 pm Herb and Sarah Myers <hesemyers...> WV Birds
11/22/23 5:37 pm Mike Griffith <birdonawire47...> Scoter and Dunlins
11/22/23 5:50 am David Patick <patick...> christmas count
11/22/23 4:14 am David Patick <patick...> Christmas Count
11/21/23 12:25 pm James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Fwd: eBird Report - Bellepoint Park, Hinton, Nov 21, 2023
11/21/23 12:24 pm James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Fwd: eBird Report - Bluestone SP--Mouth of the Bluestone, Nov 21, 2023
11/21/23 10:27 am Casey Rucker <autoblock...> Canaan Christmas Bird Count December 17
11/20/23 2:46 pm James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Hairy with an ice pick
11/20/23 12:47 pm Ross Brittain <rossalanbrittain...> Tygart Lake CBC 12/27/23
11/19/23 6:32 am MFowler <monty...> Bird feeder magic
11/19/23 6:11 am James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Waterbirds & such
11/18/23 5:57 pm Derek Courtney <derek.dana.courtney...> Limpkin --- Mercer Co.
11/18/23 5:45 pm Derek Courtney <derek.dana.courtney...> Cheat Lake Waterbird Report --- Mon. Co.
11/17/23 9:41 am Rennie Talbert <renniett...> Limpkin was also a lifer for me.
11/17/23 5:32 am Rachel <rachel...> Dec 16, WVOH CBC - call for participants
11/16/23 1:23 pm Richard Gregg <greggra...> Life bird: Limpkin
11/16/23 10:12 am Bruni Haydl <bruni...> Good Birds
11/15/23 6:39 pm Hubbard, John <hubbard...> Re: Pelicans and other Waterbirds
11/15/23 4:42 pm Donna Mitchell <dmitchellbirding...> Barbour county
11/14/23 2:51 pm C <empidonaxdvg...> RFI - red crossbill feeding observations
11/14/23 6:57 am James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Fwd: eBird Report - Bluestone S.P., Meador Campground, Nov 13, 2023
11/13/23 10:40 am laura ceperley <ceperleylau...> Almost in WV….
11/12/23 8:29 pm Wilma <wjar...> orchard oriole
11/12/23 3:52 pm James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Fwd: eBird Report - East River Mountain Overlook, Mercer County, WV, Nov 12, 2023
11/12/23 2:17 pm Derek Courtney <derek.dana.courtney...> Pacific Loon - Preston Co.
11/12/23 1:43 pm Derek Courtney <derek.dana.courtney...> Upcoming bird walk --- Cheat Lake, Mon. Co.
11/12/23 8:18 am James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Fwd: eBird Report - 24712 Athens, WV, Nov 11, 2023
11/11/23 12:49 pm Rich Bailey <wvbirds...> Rough-legged hawk
11/10/23 6:04 pm Mike Griffith <birdonawire47...> Pelicans and other Waterbirds
11/10/23 4:11 am James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Fwd: eBird Report - East River Mountain Overlook, Mercer County, WV, Nov 9, 2023
11/9/23 5:18 pm laura ceperley <ceperleylau...> Bird walk, Saturday, Nov 11, 9 am CVR&SP
11/9/23 6:52 am Lynne Wiseman <0000001f1aa07fb9-dmarc-request...> Gray-Cheeked Thrush
11/9/23 4:27 am Bill <johnson-w-r...> Merlins at Pines CC - Morgantown
11/9/23 4:11 am James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> First of season
11/7/23 1:39 pm Rich Bailey <wvbirds...> Re: Wokeism Comes to Birding
11/7/23 1:10 pm Richard Gregg <greggra...> Bird of Note: Ross's Goose
11/7/23 11:09 am Hannah Clipp <hlclipp...> Fwd: Mountaineer Audubon November 14 Meeting
11/6/23 1:21 pm Bruni Haydl <bruni...> Special Birds
11/6/23 8:36 am Ross Brittain <rossalanbrittain...> Cedar Waxwing fest
11/4/23 5:49 pm Wilma <wjar...> purple finch
11/4/23 3:23 pm James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Fwd: eBird Report - Moncove Lake SP, Nov 4, 2023
11/4/23 3:23 pm James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Fwd: eBird Report - East River Mountain Overlook, Mercer County, WV, Nov 3, 2023
11/3/23 1:36 pm Mike Griffith <birdonawire47...> Late Shorebirds
11/3/23 1:07 pm 'Nam Vet <namvet45...> Wokeism Comes to Birding
11/2/23 2:21 pm Richard Gregg <greggra...> Fwd: eBird Report - KV Technical College Pond (restricted access), Nov 2, 2023
11/2/23 2:57 am Roy Boyle <royboyle...> Saw-whet Owl Banding Demo in Berkeley County Nov. 4th.
11/1/23 5:59 pm Wendy Perrone <wendy...> American White Pelicans between Richwood and Craigsville (Nicholas county)
11/1/23 4:07 pm Terry Bronson <birdsbybronson...> Many birds with persons' names to be renamed
11/1/23 2:38 pm James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Fwd: eBird Report - East River Mountain Overlook, Mercer County, WV, Nov 1, 2023
11/1/23 2:23 pm laura ceperley <ceperleylau...> Eagles over Dry Fork, Randolph County
11/1/23 1:32 pm Bruni Haydl <bruni...> New Arrivals
10/31/23 5:19 pm laura ceperley <ceperleylau...> Try 2: Bird walks in Canaan
10/31/23 5:08 pm laura ceperley <ceperleylau...> Bird walks in Canaan
10/31/23 11:51 am Mike Griffith <birdonawire47...> Mostly Waterbirds

Back to top
Date: 11/30/23 5:41 am
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - East River Mountain Overlook, Mercer County, WV, Nov 29, 2023
An immature golden eagle was seen near the Mercer County Landfill on our
way to the overlook. The Monroe Watchman had a front page photo of a pair
of bald eagles.
Date: 11/29/23 12:44 pm
From: Bruni <bruni...>
Subject: Yard birds
The berries on the eastern red cedar branches are still popu Bluebirds really love them.  So did the three Cedar Waxwings that landed on the tray.  Gorgeous!  I've seen Yellow-rumps and an occasional Purple Finch as well.

You never know what special birds will show up from year to year.  I'm happy to have Yellow-rumps here every day.  The birdbath seems to be the big draw.  Yesterday afternoon I went out with a gallon of water and there was the Hermit thrush, waiting for me.  He let me get within 10 ft.   I  was thrilled to see him again.

In order to keep the deer from emptying the heated birdbath I ran some fencing around it.  The birds don't mind a bit.  Just an extra perch for them.

Bruni Haydl
Charles Town

⁣Get BlueMail for Android ​

Back to top
Date: 11/27/23 4:12 am
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - East River Mountain Overlook, Mercer County, WV, Nov 26, 2023
East River Mountain Overlook, Mercer County, WV, Mercer, West Virginia, US
Nov 26, 2023 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Checklist Comments: unofficial hawk watch - 43 degrees, 60-75% cloud
cover and NW wind 3-6 mph
23 vehicles
6 species

Turkey Vulture 10
Cooper's Hawk 1
Red-tailed Hawk 3
American Crow 6
Common Raven 2
Dark-eyed Junco 1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S155302637

Back to top
Date: 11/26/23 8:18 am
From: Richard Gregg <greggra...>
Subject: Bird of Note: Common Loon
I wasn’t the only lunatic in Kanawha Co. yesterday. Four Common Loons made their appearance behind the house as I was having some coffee.
Nice!

Rick Gregg
Kan. County

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: <do-not-reply...>
> Subject: eBird Report - 131 W. Riverview, Belle, Nov 25, 2023
> Date: November 26, 2023 at 9:54:53 AM EST
> To: <greggra...>
>
> 131 W. Riverview, Belle, Kanawha, West Virginia, US
> Nov 25, 2023 7:20 AM - 7:30 AM
> Protocol: Stationary
> Checklist Comments: With Jeannette G.
> 2 species
>
> Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) 34
> Common Loon (Gavia immer) 4
>
> View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S155240798
>
> This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)

Back to top
Date: 11/26/23 4:11 am
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Owls 1 - Meteors 0
Early this morning I stepped out to look for meteors. The part of the sky
that wasn't cloudy was full of bright moonlight. No meteors but I did hear
a great horned owl and saw an opossum.
Jim Phillips
Summers County
Pipestem, WV

Back to top
Date: 11/25/23 6:33 pm
From: Nathan Rees <ncrphotography...>
Subject: Short-eared Owls
The Short-eared owls have returned to their wintering grounds in Mason County at the John McCausland Memorial Farm. I had 8 individual birds flying around at once this evening along with 2 female harriers and one male grey ghost! Great evening to be watching the fields!

-Nate Rees

Back to top
Date: 11/25/23 5:47 pm
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Golden eagle
This afternoon, we saw an adult golden eagle on Indian Ridge, Pipestem.
Having a couple of purple finches at the feeder.
Jim & Judy Phillips
Summers County
Pipestem, WV

Back to top
Date: 11/25/23 12:12 pm
From: laura ceperley <ceperleylau...>
Subject: Tundras in Canaan
Yesterday at Blackwater Falls State Park after the folks on my “no-bird” walk departed, an adult Bald Eagle cruised by while a kingfisher rattled in the distance, along with a nuthatch or two…. Sigh, where were they while our group was working hard to find some birds? Then today on the Canaan Valley National Wildlife Refuge, we were almost back at the cars from another “almost no birds” walk, we heard a distinct honking sound across the valley. 30 minutes later we’re watching about 15 tundra swans, along with a few buffleheads, a couple gadwalls, a ruddy (maybe he was the “murder duck” of M’town) and a hoodie. But wait, there’s more….. look up and another 40 swans are coming in, looking like parachutes dropping out of the sky onto the water. What a beautiful sight, especially for Thanksgiving weekend. The lesson is — stay after the walk for the best birds (although the few chickadees, nuthatches and titmouses that allowed us to watch them this morning were pretty special too). Laura Ceperley, Tucker County with help from Amy Hill and Herb Myer.

Back to top
Date: 11/25/23 5:01 am
From: Bruni <bruni...>
Subject: Cooking and birding
Thanksgiving was a sunny and mild day.  Looking at the activity in the birdbaths you would have thought it was the 4th of July.  So much fun to watch.  The Pileated sailing across the yard to the suet was a gorgeous bit of color in the leafless landscape.

My kitchen window faces the backyard, perfect for combining cooking, baking  and handwashing dishes with bird watching.  The feeder tray outside the window is always full of birds.  Yesterday, on two occasions, when I  walked into the kitchen a Pileated flew away from it.  I'm still amazed they would get that close.

I'd put some small, berry-laden juniper branches on another feeder tray.  The Bluebirds and other birds were all over them.  Looked like a living Christmas card.

Odd to see two bucks crossing the yard within sight of each other.  Safety in numbers?

Bruni Haydl
Charles Town, WV

⁣Get BlueMail for Android ​

Back to top
Date: 11/23/23 2:07 pm
From: Herb and Sarah Myers <hesemyers...>
Subject: WV Birds
We traveled from VA to Canaan Valley today. At Seneca Rocks, we saw an
adult Bald Eagle circling overhead.

As we entered Canaan Valley, there was a lone Pied-billed Grebe diving on
the state park pond along Route 32.

It is good to be back in the mountains of West Virginia. There was even a
bit of white stuff along the road. Herb Myers, Keezletown, VA

Back to top
Date: 11/22/23 5:37 pm
From: Mike Griffith <birdonawire47...>
Subject: Scoter and Dunlins
Near the mouth of Crab Creek (Mason Co.), Janet Keating and I found 8 Dunlins. This is one of the latest records we have in our area for this species.
Nearby, on the Ohio River, we found 1 White-winged Scoter and 4 Common Loons.

Mike Griffith
Huntington

Back to top
Date: 11/22/23 5:50 am
From: David Patick <patick...>
Subject: christmas count
Correction:
The Huntington count will be on 12-23, not on 12-30.The Ona will still be on 12-16.

David Patick
Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 11/22/23 4:14 am
From: David Patick <patick...>
The Ona count will be held on December 16th , while the Huntington count will be on December 30th.
Feel free to text email or call me.

David Patick compiler
<patick...>
cell 304-633-4450
Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 11/21/23 12:25 pm
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - Bellepoint Park, Hinton, Nov 21, 2023
Date: 11/21/23 12:24 pm
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - Bluestone SP--Mouth of the Bluestone, Nov 21, 2023
Date: 11/21/23 10:27 am
From: Casey Rucker <autoblock...>
Subject: Canaan Christmas Bird Count December 17
Hi, all,

It's that time once again, and our Canaan CBC will be held on Sunday,
December 17. If you would like to participate, please email me at
<autoblock...> <mailto:<autoblock...> and let me
know if you have a preference as to territory.

Also, since we seem to be in a post-Covid world, please let me know if you
would like to gather at Hellbender in Davis at daylight's end to meet and
compile results.

Many thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Casey

Casey Rucker

Dry Fork, WV

Back to top
Date: 11/20/23 2:46 pm
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Hairy with an ice pick
28 degrees the other morning.
Went out to put warm water in the bird bath and discovered a male hairy
woodpecker standing on the ice in the bowl. He was pecking like crazy and
ice chips were flying. After several minutes he flew off.
I had never seen this behavior before. I guess if the ice has been thinner,
he may have made it through to the water.
Jim Phillips
Summers County
Pipestem, WV

Back to top
Date: 11/20/23 12:47 pm
From: Ross Brittain <rossalanbrittain...>
Subject: Tygart Lake CBC 12/27/23
Hello All,
Matt McKinney and I have decided the 3rd Annual Tygart Lake CBC will occur
on Wednesday, December 27th this year. Last year we had 68 confirmed
species, including a Northern Shrike, a Snow Goose and a Pine Warbler. We
also had unconfirmed species of swans and blackbirds. A deep freeze right
before the count made finding passerines generally difficult and we hope
for more mild weather this year. The count circle includes Tygart Lake
State Park, Pleasant Creek WMA, Pruntytown WMA, Valley Falls State Park and
the city of Grafton. Feeder watches in this area are also welcome and
encouraged!

If you would like to help us out, there are opportunities for volunteers in
4 quadrants. Please contact myself (<rossalanbrittain...>) and/or Matt
McKinney (<ecologuy.ne...>) to sign up. We will figure out the best
way possible to distribute folks into equitable habitats and assignments
for those who want to roam.

Looking forward to another year of fun bird counting. Thanks ahead of time
for any help you can provide.

Happy Birding!
Ross Brittain
Bridgeport, WV

Back to top
Date: 11/19/23 6:32 am
From: MFowler <monty...>
Subject: Bird feeder magic
It seems like no matter how long we're out of town, within 10 minutes after
I refill the bird feeder when we return, the Chickadees are again swarming
around it. They must take turns staking it out every day or something. I
have not noticed any variation in this routine.

Monty Fowler

Beverly Hills area

Huntington

Back to top
Date: 11/19/23 6:11 am
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Waterbirds & such
We checked the water from Pipestem to Brooks Falls on New River yesterday.
Lots of Canada geese & mallards
Hooded & common mergansers, gadwall, Am wigeon, pied-billed grebes &
ring-necked ducks.
10 great blue herons
Immature golden eagle at Bluestone Dam and Merlin just upstream of Brooks
Falls.
Still hearing pair of great horned owls around our house.
Jim & Judy Phillips
Summers County
Pipestem, WV

Back to top
Date: 11/18/23 5:57 pm
From: Derek Courtney <derek.dana.courtney...>
Subject: Limpkin --- Mercer Co.
Hi all,

Passing along the info that a Limpkin was reported to iNaturalist, and then
shared on Facebook, from Greasy Ridge Road in Princeton. Local birders may
want to check it out.

Good birding,
Derek

Back to top
Date: 11/18/23 5:45 pm
From: Derek Courtney <derek.dana.courtney...>
Subject: Cheat Lake Waterbird Report --- Mon. Co.
Hi all,

Luck was with the 20 birders who joined me on Mountaineer Audubon's field
trip to Cheat Lake this morning. After a string of warm days and south
winds, a cold front moved through and the birds came with it. Buffleheads
particularly seemed eager to head south as there were thousands on Cheat
Lake today. Variety was great too, with several dabbling and diving species
tallied. Participants were even treated to a bird release as well, with
Katie Fallon of the Avian Conservation Center of Appalachia releasing a
rehabilitated Ruddy Duck and Mallard. Special thanks to super birders LeJay
Graffious and Hannah Clipp for helping spot birds and getting the
participants on all the species in the scope. Also, rock star young birder
Zealon Wight-Maier not only did an outstanding job spotting and identifying
birds, but he kept the eBird lists as well, which was not easy on a day
like this.

If anyone out there wants to have more winter birding fun like this, the
Morgantown Christmas Bird Count will be held on Saturday, December 16th.
Please contact me if you want to participate and we'll get you signed up!

Waterbird totals below, full species lists submitted to eBird. If you would
like these lists shared with you, please drop me an email. Best wishes to
you all! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving week!

Cheat Lake --- Uplake Marinas
Canada Goose 211
Wood Duck 14
Gadwall 19
American Wigeon 11
Mallard 28
American Black Duck 2
Ring-necked Duck 219
Greater Scaup 8
Lesser Scaup 126
Bufflehead 1633!!!
Common Goldeneye 3
Hooded Merganser 140
Common Merganser 2
Red-breasted Merganser 2
Ruddy Duck 1
Pied-billed Grebe 1
American Coot 21
Ring-billed Gull 9
Bald Eagle 1

Cheat Lake --- I-68 Bridge
Canada Goose 30
Wood Duck 3
Gadwall 47
American Wigeon 8
Mallard 50
American Black Duck 3
Ring-necked Duck 40
Greater/Lesser Scaup 750 (just too distant and clustered to really
separate)
Bufflehead 750
Hooded Merganser 47
Red-breasted Merganser 14
Horned Grebe 1

Cheat Lake --- Sunset Harbor
Mallard 1 ACCA release
Bufflehead 187
Hooded Merganser 4
Ruddy Duck 1 ACCA release
Pied-billed Grebe 2
Great Blue Heron 1
Belted Kingfisher 1

Cheat Lake --- Cheat Lake Park
Canada Goose 69
Gadwall 5
American Wigeon 2
Ring-necked Duck 20
Greater Scaup 9
Lesser Scaup 53
Bufflehead 368
Hooded Merganser 37
Ruddy Duck 1
Pied-billed Grebe 3
Belted Kingfisher 1

Good birding,
Derek

Back to top
Date: 11/17/23 9:41 am
From: Rennie Talbert <renniett...>
Subject: Limpkin was also a lifer for me.
I got to see the Teays Valley limpkin Thursday morning. I got a few good pictures, and it also picked up a pile of leaves and got a snail from between them.

Rennie Talbert
Birding Putnam Co.

Back to top
Date: 11/17/23 5:32 am
From: Rachel <rachel...>
Subject: Dec 16, WVOH CBC - call for participants
Seeking participants for the greater Oak Hill area, Fayette County, WV, National Audubon Christmas Bird Count,
Saturday, December 16. To get started, interested participants need only send their name, email address, and phone number to me.
Sign up is simple. Routes are discussed. Spend any amount of time on December 16th identifying and counting birds on an assigned route/area. Complete and return data collection forms. Participants are invited to warm soup and drinks, from 4 to 6PM, in Mount Hope - an opportunity to meet other participants, share stories from the day, and start the tally! Location is shared to participants.
If it's your first time considering participation... it's good fun with a scientific purpose! Find the WVOH CBC map and more information at birding-wv.com/christmas-bird-count<https://birding-wv.com/who-we-support/christmas-bird-count>, as well as a link to all CBC circles to find one near you.
I look forward to hearing from you!
Rachel Davis
304-880-8059
<rachel...><mailto:<rachel...>

Back to top
Date: 11/16/23 1:23 pm
From: Richard Gregg <greggra...>
Subject: Life bird: Limpkin
Rare bird:
Limpkin (1).
A life bird for me!
See checklist for photos and location.
Seen by many before me.

Here's to Brittany C. for encouraging me to make a try! Thanks!

Rick Gregg
Kanawha Co.

Date: 11/16/23 10:12 am
From: Bruni Haydl <bruni...>
Subject: Good Birds
Yesterday morning started out with a Pileated on the suet.  It was a
male but did not have the noticeable red mustache so I'm guessing it was
a juvenile.   Another Pileated came in and then a third.  What a show of
color!  A male Yellow-bellied sapsucker also was checking out a spindly
cherry tree.  The Hairy decided to come to the feeder tray right outside
the kitchen window.  Such a handsome bird.  It is a treat to see them up
close.   The Brown Creeper I'd seen several days ago also moved up the
walnut tree.  Had two regulars last winter.  Hope that's the case again
this year.

The birdbaths are busy with the regulars including Bluebirds, Flickers,
Gold and Housefinches, Yellow-rumped warblers, etc.    I was thrilled to
see the Hermit Thrush again.  It started out on the ground but then got
into the pedestal bath.  I did not expect that. I managed to get a
picture of it and a Yellow-rump together.  After a lot of splashing he
hopped up on the sycamore branch I "planted" in the flowerbed nearby and
preened and shook his tail feathers. This was definitely a first for me.

Earlier in the week I checked on my neighbor's eagles and for the first
time I saw the pair of them sitting in the sycamore along the shore of
the Shenandoah.  My last few sightings up until now have always been of
just one of them sitting in the same tree.  Hoping that they will nest
again this year.  When I walked under the giant yew in the neighbor's
back yard I could hear chatter even from a distance.  Yep, it was loaded
with White-throated sparrows.  That must be a good roosting place.

Bruni Haydl
Charles Town, WV

Back to top
Date: 11/15/23 6:39 pm
From: Hubbard, John <hubbard...>
Subject: Re: Pelicans and other Waterbirds
There is a report on Facebook of a limpkin in Teays Valley. Do you know about this? We are in Huntington and might like to find it.

John & Jeanne

________________________________
Date: 11/15/23 4:42 pm
From: Donna Mitchell <dmitchellbirding...>
Subject: Barbour county
1 male northern harrier soaring over a neighboring pasture.

A juvenile red-headed woodpecker is just getting its red head feathers in. There is at least one adult with it. Another local territory has 2 birds. I didnt expect them to hang around this long.

Teter Creek Lake this morning:

6 buffleheads
3 pied billed grebes

Donna Mitchell
Barbour County, WV

Back to top
Date: 11/14/23 2:51 pm
From: C <empidonaxdvg...>
Subject: RFI - red crossbill feeding observations
Hi all,

I’m writing to follow up on my previous requests for observations of
eastern red crossbills feeding on conifers. Given that Christmas Bird Count
season is rapidly approaching, I figured now would be a good time to remind
folks about the types of observations I’m collating as a part of a
multi-year project on crossbill feeding ecology. This is also an
interesting time of year from a crossbill foraging perspective, as this is
when crossbills begin shifting to feeding on conifers other than those they
were feeding on throughout the late summer and early fall.

I’m looking for audio recordings of crossbill calls from the eastern
US/Great Lakes with information on the conifers the birds are feeding on.
The recordings do not have to be made with any advanced equipment – most
phone recordings are sufficient. Pictures of the conifer cones are most
helpful. However, if you are comfortable with conifer identification, notes
on which conifers birds are feeding on are also valuable.

Based on contributions from several folks across the eastern US, I’ve
accumulated over 600 (!) records of eastern red crossbills and the conifers
they’re feeding on. If you’re interested, I’ve posted a little blurb on my
website (https://ckporter.weebly.com/eastern-red-crossbill-ecology.html)
illustrating and describing the preliminary data for type 12, the crossbill
I have the most data for and am most interested in for this project.

Although there are some intriguing patterns in the data so far, describing
the feeding ecology of type 12 and other eastern call types will require
*much* more data across many seasons and years. So, if you have crossbills
in your area, please consider uploading recordings and conifer information
to eBird. I’ve also created an iNaturalist project (link below) where
observations can be uploaded. If you don’t use eBird or iNaturalist, please
feel free to send me any observations directly.

Thanks a ton for considering my request. Please feel free to reach out with
any questions! Also, please pass this onto anyone you think might be
interested in participating.

Good birding,

Dr. Cody Porter

Ames, Iowa

*iNaturalist project link: *
https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/feeding-ecology-of-eastern-red-crossbills

*Project description link:*

Date: 11/14/23 6:57 am
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - Bluestone S.P., Meador Campground, Nov 13, 2023
A nice afternoon of birding Bluestone S.P
These species were added in other areas in the pak - 10 Killdeer, 10 Cedar
Waxwings, 1 N. Flicker and 1 Cooper's Hawk.
Date: 11/13/23 10:40 am
From: laura ceperley <ceperleylau...>
Subject: Almost in WV….
About 10 American Pipits flew into the field next to the exit of Lowes in Oakland MD….not quite in WV but so close. Very beautiful shimmering in the sun. A good lesson to always have bins in the car!

Meanwhile in Canaan Valley (Tucker County) the last week - lots of kinglets, several Northern Harriers , and 10-12 Green Wing Teals (among mallards and c.geese on the settling ponds at CV State Park).
LauraCeperley

Back to top
Date: 11/12/23 8:29 pm
From: Wilma <wjar...>
Subject: orchard oriole
This morning looked out at feeder saw a bird that didn't look like feeder birds. Grabbed bins got fairly good look before it flew on. A female orchard oriole. Was not able to relocate it. Really late for here. Hope this sends Internet was out all day.

Wilma Jarrell
Wileyville
Wetzel County

Sent from my iPod

Back to top
Date: 11/12/23 3:52 pm
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - East River Mountain Overlook, Mercer County, WV, Nov 12, 2023
East River Mountain Overlook, Mercer County, WV, Mercer, West Virginia, US
Nov 12, 2023 1:30 PM - 2:30 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Checklist Comments: unofficial hawk watch - 51 degrees, 0% cloud cover
and 2-7 mph NW wind
35 vehicles
3 species

Turkey Vulture 7
Red-tailed Hawk 2
Common Raven 2

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S154342074

Back to top
Date: 11/12/23 2:17 pm
From: Derek Courtney <derek.dana.courtney...>
Subject: Pacific Loon - Preston Co.
Hi all,

Pacific Loon reported to eBird from Alpine Lake, Preston County this
afternoon. Reported to eBird with photos.

Derek

Back to top
Date: 11/12/23 1:43 pm
From: Derek Courtney <derek.dana.courtney...>
Subject: Upcoming bird walk --- Cheat Lake, Mon. Co.
Hi all!

This coming Saturday, Mountaineer Audubon is sponsoring a bird walk
focusing on migrant waterfowl. We will meet at 0800 at Ruby and Ketchy's
restaurant in Cheat Lake to start. I will be there at 0700 for breakfast if
anyone wants to fuel up before the walk. Walking will be minimal and mostly
flat aside from Cheat Lake Park which might entail a walk of 1 mile or more
if there are interesting birds to see. That would be on a very well
maintained, flat trail around the lake. All ages and expertise levels are
welcome, and as usual there is no charge to attend. We will go rain or
shine as long as the roads are safe. If anyone has any questions, please
feel free to contact me. Hope to see you all there. Best wishes.

Good birding,
Derek

Back to top
Date: 11/12/23 8:18 am
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - 24712 Athens, WV, Nov 11, 2023
We did our regular Veterans Day bird walk to put flags on the Dr. P.C.
Bibbee(WWI) and J. Fred Cook(WWII) graves. The Bibbee Nature Club is named
for P.C. and Fred Cook was active in the Mercer County Historical
Society and the Bibbee Nature Club. Both were educators.
Date: 11/11/23 12:49 pm
From: Rich Bailey <wvbirds...>
Subject: Rough-legged hawk
Saw a southbound light morph rough-legged hawk fly over the Bickle Knob
fire tower, Randolph County, this afternoon...

Rich Bailey, Elkins

Back to top

Date: 11/10/23 4:11 am
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - East River Mountain Overlook, Mercer County, WV, Nov 9, 2023
Date: 11/9/23 5:18 pm
From: laura ceperley <ceperleylau...>
Subject: Bird walk, Saturday, Nov 11, 9 am CVR&SP
Join me for about 2 hours looking for our hardy late-fall resident birds this coming Saturday, 11/11 at Canaan Valley Resort and State Park. Meet at 9 am in the lobby at the lodge. As always, check the weather before heading out (it’s cold out there!), and dress appropriately. Bring water, snacks and binoculars, and be prepared to walk 1-3 miles on pavement, gravel and/or packed trails. All are welcomed. Laura Ceperley

Other upcoming Thanksgiving weekend walks-
9 am, Friday, Nov 24. Lobby at the lodge, Blackwater Falls State Park

8 am , Saturday, Nov 25. Beall parking area, Canaan Valley National Wildlife Refuge. Beall tract off up Beall Lane (also Coffman’s Lane) from Cortland Road in Canaan Valley. And yes, i did mean 8 am!

Back to top
Date: 11/9/23 6:52 am
From: Lynne Wiseman <0000001f1aa07fb9-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Gray-Cheeked Thrush
I was sitting at my kitchen counter and heard a window strike. When I looked up it flew up onto a nearby oak. I was able to see it well but too far away for a photo. I figured it was a Hermit Thrush but no rufous at all, bright pink legs, uniform color grayish brown color and grayish around cheek. No visible eye ring but beautiful dark eyes. It moved around in the trees then flew off. Many years ago we had a fatal strike of a Gray-Cheeked at our front door identified by Bob Dean at our annual banding event. Glad this one got away. I think it was as a sideways strike.

Previous to that I was surprised to see a Sapsucker on the deck railing near the birdbath which had a Bluebird and Junco drinking.

Happy Birding,
Lynne Wiseman
Jefferson County

Sent from my iPhone

Back to top
Date: 11/9/23 4:27 am
From: Bill <johnson-w-r...>
Subject: Merlins at Pines CC - Morgantown
Yesterday morning I observed a pair of Merlins flying and calling around the 14th hole at the Pines Country Club. I’ve been seeing individuals in that area for the past several weeks, but it seems that a pair has taken up residence.

A couple of Fish Crows continue to be resident around the clubhouse. This is the only location where I have seen them in the Morgantown area.

Bill Johnson
Morgantown

Sent from my iPad

Back to top
Date: 11/9/23 4:11 am
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: First of season
We had a couple of purple finches at our feeders yesterday and a winter
wren along the stream.
This morning, a fox sparrow was singing with the song & white-throated
sparrows.
Jim & Judy Phillips
Summers County
Pipestem, WV

Back to top
Date: 11/7/23 1:39 pm
From: Rich Bailey <wvbirds...>
Subject: Re: Wokeism Comes to Birding
Please refrain from discussing politics in this forum. Thank you.

Date: 11/7/23 1:10 pm
From: Richard Gregg <greggra...>
Subject: Bird of Note: Ross's Goose
Bird of Note:
Tues., Nov. 07, 2023.
Ridenour Memorial Park, Nitro, Kan. Co., WV.

Ross’s Goose (1). (See checklist for photos).
Continuing sighting of bird first observed yesterday, (11-06-23), by Joe Jarrell and Sue Westfall
https://ebird.org/checklist/S153973513 <https://ebird.org/checklist/S153973513>

Rick Gregg
Kanawha Co.

Back to top
Date: 11/7/23 11:09 am
From: Hannah Clipp <hlclipp...>
Subject: Fwd: Mountaineer Audubon November 14 Meeting
Hi all,

Please join us for Mountaineer Audubon's November meeting and hear from Dr.
Kyle Horton, one of the scientists responsible for BirdCast (
https://birdcast.info/), a fantastic bird migration resource. See the email
below from Chris Rota (Mountaineer Audubon Vice President) for details.

Good birding,
Hannah
Mountaineer Audubon board member

Date: 11/6/23 1:21 pm
From: Bruni Haydl <bruni...>
Subject: Special Birds
Taking advantage of the mellow afternoon I invited my neighbor and
fellow birder from the subdivision to go down to the Shenandoah.  On the
way down we saw an adult eagle soaring but there was nobody on the
nest.  The river yielded quite a few Common mergansers hat were perched
on the long rock ledge.  A Great Blue also did a circle and landed on
shore.  I spotted a Kingfisher on the washed up debris and logs
downriver.  This was a distance down river, near the falls. Sure helps
to know to look where you have seen them before.  The sun really made
those Mergansers shine.

Coming back I invited her in to see if we could find some Yellow-rumped
Warblers around the birdbaths.  What a show that turned out to be!  Lots
of Yellow-rumps, White-crowned Sparrows, Bluebirds, Titmice, Chickadees,
Robins etc.  The special treat was a Ruby-crowned Kinglet.  It bopped
all around the pedestal bath, ground bath and garden wire fence.  So
great to see all these birds from only 12 ft away.  The really big
surprise was when a Hermit Thrush showed up!  I tend to think of them as
a solitary bird but this one appeared to be just one of the gang with
all the other birds.  So amazing.  My friend got some nice photos of it.

I've never had this many Yellow-rumps.  Of course their colors are
softer than their breeding plumage but I did notice that their rump
patch was a strong yellow on all of them the color shade on the side
patch varied.

My neighbor has birdbaths as well but the area around them is neat. She
doesn't get the activity I do and has come to the conclusion that it is
because the area behind the baths in my yard is somewhat messy, i.e
spent flowers and grasses.  I totally agree.  The birds are in and out
collecting seeds from asters and other plants.  Every time I'm tempted
to weed or do other yard work I think better of it.  It is easy to
overlook an unattractive plant when you see Chickadees, Goldfinches and
even Golden-crowned Kinglet dangle from the dried flowers.

Just checked the birdbath activity and there, lo and behold, is the
Hermit Thrush again.   A female Flicker was hacking at the moist soil
looking for grubs about two feet away.  Five Yellow-rumps were getting
water.

On this morning's dogwalk I saw a couple of Golden-crowned Kinglets in
the crown of the cottonwood.  Tons of Robins too.  Nice to have another
birder nearby that you can exchange sightings with.

Bruni Haydl
Charles Town, WV

Back to top
Date: 11/6/23 8:36 am
From: Ross Brittain <rossalanbrittain...>
Subject: Cedar Waxwing fest
Hi All,
Not a particularly unusual species but I currently have over 125 Cedar
Waxwings hitting wild grapes in my backyard. Never seen that many in the
past. Joining them in the tree that had the grape vines was an adult
Red-shouldered Hawk sitting below the waxwings... undoubtedly getting
pooped on.

Quite the spectacle for my suburban yard.
Happy Birding,
Ross Brittain
Bridgeport, WV

Back to top
Date: 11/4/23 5:49 pm
From: Wilma <wjar...>
Subject: purple finch
Watched 5 purple finch feeding on ash tree seeds this morning.

Wilma Jarrell
Wileyville
Wetzel County

Sent from my iPod

Back to top
Date: 11/4/23 3:23 pm
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - Moncove Lake SP, Nov 4, 2023
Date: 11/4/23 3:23 pm
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - East River Mountain Overlook, Mercer County, WV, Nov 3, 2023
East River Mountain Overlook, Mercer County, WV, Mercer, West Virginia, US
Nov 3, 2023 12:20 PM - 2:20 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Checklist Comments: unofficial hawk watch - 48 degrees, no cloud cover
& NW wind 0-8 mph
2 monarch butterflies
25 vehicles
7 species

Turkey Vulture 18
Red-tailed Hawk 4
Blue Jay 4
American Crow 3
Common Raven 1
American Robin 4
Dark-eyed Junco 4

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S153754455

Back to top
Date: 11/3/23 1:36 pm
From: Mike Griffith <birdonawire47...>
Subject: Late Shorebirds
R.C. Byrd Locks (Mason Co.) :

Greater Yellowlegs - 3
Dunlin - 14
Pectoral Sandpiper - 1

Mike Griffith
Huntington

Back to top

Date: 11/2/23 2:21 pm
From: Richard Gregg <greggra...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - KV Technical College Pond (restricted access), Nov 2, 2023
Chuck Wirts and Martha Hopper led a Handlan Chapter bird walk at the KV Tech. College Pond, (restricted access), today. There were a lot of nice waterfowl that had moved in. A rarity for this time of year was a Canvasback.
See checklist for poor quality photo.

Rick Gregg
Kanawha Co.

Date: 11/2/23 2:57 am
From: Roy Boyle <royboyle...>
Subject: Saw-whet Owl Banding Demo in Berkeley County Nov. 4th.
Greetings,
Bob Dean will be banding owls this Saturday and has opened it up for a
public program 4:45pm to 8:00pm. . This is a great opportunity to see a
really amazing part of the birding experience. Pre-registration is required
as we will be meeting at the Martins grocery store near Hedgesville, WV
then driving to the site. Potomac Valley Audubon has the registration.
https://www.potomacaudubon.org/event/saw-whet-owl-banding-demonstration/

Roy Boyle
Mineral County

Back to top
Date: 11/1/23 5:59 pm
From: Wendy Perrone <wendy...>
Subject: American White Pelicans between Richwood and Craigsville (Nicholas county)
Hi everyone,
We have just received word from WV DNR Natural Resources Police Sargent
Duffield that there are between 14 and 15 American White Pelicans at the
Cherry River between Richwood and Craigsville, near where the Cherry and
Gauley Rivers join.  An approximate location is 38.2718530, -80.6260960,
near the Department of Highways compound.  Several of them were in the
compound today and were photographed by a WV DOH person.  One of the
group collided with a fence resulting in such serious injury that he had
to be euthanized immediately.  We are very concerned about the flock
with these freezing temperatures.  The pouch below the bill is
susceptible to freezing anytime it drops below freezing as are their
feet.   We would appreciate any updates on the flock you are willing to
share.  Photos are great, you can send them via my email or cell phone
(listed below).  Thank you!  Good birding to you!

--
Wendy Perrone, Executive Director
Three Rivers Avian Center

Caring for West Virginia's wild birds since 1990
Donations are gratefully accepted on our websitewww.tracwv.org Thank you!

Back to top
Date: 11/1/23 4:07 pm
From: Terry Bronson <birdsbybronson...>
Subject: Many birds with persons' names to be renamed
News of interest to all birders today. This likely will happen in the next
year or two.

Dozens of birds, including ones named after white supremacists, are being
renamed (msn.com)
<https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/dozens-of-birds-including-ones-named-after-white-supremacists-are-being-renamed/ar-AA1jd8MX?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=EDGEDB&cvid=7d246f0d49ad48edb526c41ef4bb6ed9&ei=13>

Terry Bronson
Marietta, OH

Back to top
Date: 11/1/23 2:38 pm
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - East River Mountain Overlook, Mercer County, WV, Nov 1, 2023
Date: 11/1/23 2:23 pm
From: laura ceperley <ceperleylau...>
Subject: Eagles over Dry Fork, Randolph County
Brrr! We had our “shake-down” snow this morning in Canaan Valley - 29 degrees and about 1/2 inch of snow. Time to get out the long-underwear and extra socks. We birded along Dry Fork near Harmon, hoping it would be a tad warmer. First birds were two crows, soon followed by two adult Bald Eagles flying in tandem, softly chatting to each other in their “library” voices. One even did a couple rolls. Absolutely beautiful. Such huge birds and yet very graceful, especially soaring through the fog of snow. And a kingfisher zip by blasting away at top volume, making sure even the hard-of-hearing could hear. Other hardy birds - phoebe, yellow rumped, song and white-throat sparrows, towhees, juncos, white breasted nuthatch, waxwings and one lonely brown creeper. The good news is the almost all the leaves are down. The bad news is it taste forever to focus binoculars with frozen fingers. Laura C with Mimi K, Randolph County.

Back to top
Date: 11/1/23 1:32 pm
From: Bruni Haydl <bruni...>
Subject: New Arrivals
Just had my first Purple Finch arrive.  It came to the kitchen window
tray twice.   Two days ago coming back from my morning dog walk I
noticed some activity around some locust tree trunks.  Went to get my
binoculars and was treated to three Yellow-crowned kinglets chasing each
other.  They were slightly higher than eye level so I could really see
the yellow stripe.  One of them displayed the red crest.  A day earlier
I had seen a Ruby-crowned kinglet.  They seem to be a bit more common.

Yesterday morning there were nine Cedar waxwings on top of the the
leafless walnut tree.  They were facing the sun which made that yellow
breast very visible.  An unexpected surprise.  In the afternoon I saw my
first Sapsucker of the season.  Judging by the colors it was a first
year male.  Another one was with it but flew off before I could get an
ID.  May have been a female.

The lovely Hairy woodpeckers have also come back.  A male and female
were on he suet cake.  Yesterday one landed on the tray outside the
window while my neighbor was here.  She was thrilled to see and
recognize it immediately.  Seeing them often and up close really helps
you identifying them.

It is a brisk and breezy day with frost in the forecast but the birds
are having a grand time in the birdbaths.  Just saw two pretty
Yellow-rumps splashing with abandon.  Juncos, Bluebirds, and
White-throats were waiting their turn.  The Chickadees must have had a
banner breeding season.  They have been mobbing the feeder tray the last
few weeks.  I've only had one pair nesting in a box so there must be
plenty of natural cavities in the area.

Bruni Haydl
Charles Town, WV

Back to top
Date: 10/31/23 5:19 pm
From: laura ceperley <ceperleylau...>
Subject: Try 2: Bird walks in Canaan
Opps, ignore my earlier note with incomplete information. Sorry, Laura
————

Join me for about 2 hours looking for our hardy late-fall resident birds this coming Saturday, 11/4 at the sled run in Blackwater Falls State Park. As always, check the weather before heading out (it’s cold out there!), and dress appropriately. Bring water, snacks and binoculars, and be prepared to walk 1-3 miles on pavement, gravel and/or packed trails. All are welcomed. Laura Ceperley

Other upcoming walks
9 am, Saturday, Nov 11. Lobby at the lodge, Canaan Valley State Park

Date: 10/31/23 5:08 pm
From: laura ceperley <ceperleylau...>
Subject: Bird walks in Canaan
Join me on 2 hour stroll looking for hardy winter resident birds, including this coming saturay, 11/3 at Blackwater Falls State Park. As always, check the weather before heading out (it’s cold out there), and dress appropriately. Bring water, snacks and binoculars, and be prepared to walk 1-2 miles on pavement, gravel and/or packed trails. All are welcomed. Laura Ceperley
9 am, Saturday Nov x, sled run at Blackwater Falls State Palk
9 am, Saturday, Nov x, lobby at the lodge, Canaan Valley State Park
9 am, Friday, Nov x, Lobby at Blackwater Falls State Park
8 am , Saturday, Nov x, Beall tract parking area, Canaan Valley National Wildlife Refuge. Beall tract off up Beall Lane (also Coffman’s road) fromCortland Road/. And us, thats 8 am!

Back to top
Date: 10/31/23 11:51 am
From: Mike Griffith <birdonawire47...>
Subject: Mostly Waterbirds
I found the following scattered along the Ohio R. in Mason Co.

R.C. Byrd Locks :
American Wigeon - about 35
Ring-necked Duck - about 60
Lesser Scaup - 9