WV-BIRD
Received From Subject
7/19/24 1:37 pm James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Fwd: eBird Report - Durr's Pond, Princeton, WV, Jul 19, 2024
7/19/24 8:04 am Terry Bronson <birdsbybronson...> Harrison County Little Blue Heron
7/18/24 4:46 pm jerry Kruth <00000005ead0dac6-dmarc-request...> Re: Beating the Heat
7/18/24 1:37 pm James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Fwd: eBird Report - Bluestone SP--Mouth of the Bluestone, Jul 18, 2024
7/18/24 1:36 pm James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Fwd: eBird Report - Bellepoint Park, Jul 18, 2024
7/18/24 11:42 am emeraldjo <00000187ab264c07-dmarc-request...> Little Blue Heron Harrison Co
7/16/24 6:41 pm James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Fwd: eBird Report - Big Spruce Overlook, Monongahela N.F., Jul 16, 2024
7/15/24 9:42 am Bruni Haydl <bruni...> Beating the Heat
7/14/24 3:38 am MFowler <monty...> Hummers are back
7/8/24 1:04 pm cynthia burkhart <000000990b36e23b-dmarc-request...> Problem with Ebird Yard
7/8/24 7:32 am Paul Mckay <paulmck57...> Mimics in Ohio county
7/7/24 5:59 am Bruni <bruni...> Fwd: Yard birds
7/7/24 5:55 am Shannon Burner <shannonann66...> Bird Baths
7/7/24 5:11 am Bruni <bruni...> Yard birds
7/6/24 5:40 pm Mike Griffith <birdonawire47...> Least Sandpipers
7/6/24 11:06 am James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Fwd: eBird Report - Bertha Campground, Bluestone WMA, Jul 6, 2024
7/4/24 2:10 pm Mike Griffith <birdonawire47...> Migrant Shorebirds
7/3/24 5:35 pm Bruni <bruni...> Bathing beauties
7/3/24 1:57 pm laura ceperley <ceperleylau...> July bird outings in Canaan
7/2/24 4:18 pm Alex <000000123b41a47c-dmarc-request...> Dowitcher
7/2/24 9:50 am Terry Bronson <birdsbybronson...> Male Blue Grosbeak in Wood County
7/1/24 5:15 pm LeJay Graffious <lejaygraffious...> Osprey-Bald Eagle sighting
7/1/24 5:03 pm Casey Rucker <autoblock...> First baby grosbeak of the season (Tucker)
6/25/24 9:31 am James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...> Fwd: eBird Report - Brush Creek Falls SP, Jun 25, 2024
6/21/24 2:47 pm Bruni <bruni...> How cool was that?

Back to top
Date: 7/19/24 1:37 pm
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - Durr's Pond, Princeton, WV, Jul 19, 2024
Also had a green heron along Brush Creek in Princeton.
Date: 7/19/24 8:04 am
From: Terry Bronson <birdsbybronson...>
Subject: Harrison County Little Blue Heron
Immature bird continues at Deegan Lake in Bridgeport in small pond next to
playground.

Terry Bronson
Marietta, OH

Back to top
Date: 7/18/24 4:46 pm
From: jerry Kruth <00000005ead0dac6-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: Beating the Heat
Very compassionate and interesting piece Bruni.  I always enjoy your posts.
A thought on chimneys -- I never capped my chimney for exactly the same reason -- I would be happy to offer a nesting place.  I've never had anything fall down into the fireplace, but I've heard of it happening..
Maybe for you -- have a piece of hardware cloth stretched across the top of your chimney, about a foot or so down from where the remnants of the past nests are.  This way, ash and smoke can escape when the fireplace is used, but it would prevent nestlings from falling out and away from Mum.
Just a thought with my best wishes.
Jerry Kruth
Pittsburgh

On Tuesday, July 16, 2024 at 12:26:23 AM EDT, Bruni Haydl <bruni...> wrote:

The best way to make this extended heat and drought tolerable is to
watch the birds trying to keep cool using the birdbaths.  Yesterday
afternoon the Robins were the dominant species, often six and seven at a
time.  They are a mix of adults and youngsters in their spotted
plumage.  Sitting on a branch, one of them spit up two hackberry pits.
It surprised me because they usually leave them in the birdbath.  This
morning the Robins were getting water from the rim of the deer bucket as
well.

Among the special birds these last few days were the Blue-gray
gnatcatcher, female Scarlet Tanager, Red-eyed Vireo, Brown thrasher,
Bluejay, Bluebirds, Indigo Bunting, and Baltimore Oriole.  It is
particularly striking to see the B Oriole share the bath with the Indigo
Bunting.  For the second time I got to see a Flicker get absolutely
saturated in the bath.  Almost hard to recognize at that stage.

The other morning two Hummingbirds were drinking and dipping their face
in the pedestal bath. What a difference seing them vs the Flicker.

Due to the birds splashing some of the water out, the grass around the
base of the pedestal is green.  Interestingly some of the birds like to
bathe in this wet grass.  Yesterday it was a female Baltimore Oriole.
Fun to watch.

One of the male Cardinals is almost bald with just a few sprouts of red
feathers.  No doubt a case of mites.  A female Cardinal also has issues
but in her case it is just the top of the head missing feathers.  This
makes them easy to recognize when they visit. They both look healthy.
I'm also seeing a good number of immature Cardinals.  The males are a
bright terra cotta with a few red feathers coming in.  Really pretty.

Friday late afternoon, while trying to finish a book, I heard what
sounded like static.  Then I remembered my previous experience with
Chimney Swifts.  I opened the glass door to the fireplace and pulled the
damper open.  A few minutes later there were three youngsters pressed
against the glass, making a racket.  After securing my pets I took them
outside.  Unfortunately they did not fly out of my hand because they
were not quite ready.  They flapped and hopped on the ground.  I was
hoping the parents would tend to them during the night.  When I went out
in the morning I was relieved not to see them.  That was short lived.
Two of them were clinging to one of the plants and looking at with their
beady little eyes.  Never did see the third one.  I decided to pack them
up and take them to the Blueridge Wildlife Center in Berryville, VA.  At
least they would be in good hands and have a chance.  I guess capping my
chimney would prevent this from happening again but I like the idea that
they are using the chimney for roosting and nesting.

Bruni Haydl
Charles Town, WV

Back to top
Date: 7/18/24 1:37 pm
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - Bluestone SP--Mouth of the Bluestone, Jul 18, 2024
Date: 7/18/24 1:36 pm
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - Bellepoint Park, Jul 18, 2024
Date: 7/18/24 11:42 am
From: emeraldjo <00000187ab264c07-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Little Blue Heron Harrison Co
2nd appearance of a little blue heron.2 were spotted on the 13th.1 spotted on the 17th...today's bird probably continuing from last night.Deegan Lake, Bridgeport

Yahoo Mail: Search, Organize, Conquer

Back to top
Date: 7/16/24 6:41 pm
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - Big Spruce Overlook, Monongahela N.F., Jul 16, 2024
Our way to beat the July heat!
91-95 degrees in Hinton, Alderson, Lewisburg and Marlinton!!
A visit to the Big Spruce Overlook on the Scenic Highway and 77 degrees. 8>)

Date: 7/14/24 3:38 am
From: MFowler <monty...>
Subject: Hummers are back
After an absence during the worst of the heat over the last two weeks, both
male and female Rubythroated humming birds have returned to our feeder. Yay!

Monty Fowler

Beverly Hills area

Huntington

Back to top
Date: 7/8/24 1:04 pm
From: cynthia burkhart <000000990b36e23b-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Problem with Ebird Yard
For some reason, Ebird is not recognizing my checklists in Yard. It has worked fine for me for several years, but suddenly the last checklist that Yard has is June 2. I have tried asking questions on the Ebird site, but am getting nowhere.
Wondering if anyone else has this problem, and/ or knows how to resolve it?
Cynthia Burkhart
Ritchie County
Sent from my iPad

Back to top
Date: 7/8/24 7:32 am
From: Paul Mckay <paulmck57...>
Subject: Mimics in Ohio county
We have within a three acre area of our farm nesting mockingbirds, brown
thrashers, catbirds and yellow breasted chats. The Mockingbird goes through
a litany of songs, in order, then starts over. Merlin often gets confused
but points out which bird is being mimicked until it grasps that this is a
Mockingbird and then counts only that. Since baby birds learn from their
parents and surroundings I am fascinated as to what interesting songs all
these mimics living together will produce.
Paul McKay
Ohio County

Back to top
Date: 7/7/24 5:59 am
From: Bruni <bruni...>
Subject: Fwd: Yard birds
⁣Get BlueMail for Android ​

On Jul 7, 2024, 8:12 AM, at 8:12 AM, Bruni <bruni...> wrote:
>The first birds I saw this morning was the Great-crested Flycatcher and
>a male hummingbird.  The hummer was drinking from the edge of the
>pedestal bath.  He'd alternate between that and sitting on the g
>
>⁣Get BlueMail for Android ​

Back to top
Date: 7/7/24 5:55 am
From: Shannon Burner <shannonann66...>
Subject: Bird Baths
Good morning, all,

On Wednesday we finally got a rain shower. It has been a very hot, dry, 2
1/2 weeks with no rain. Things have begun to get brown and suffer from lack
of moisture. When the rain began, it came down hard. Normally, any birds at
the feeders scatter and take cover until the rain passes. During this
shower just the opposite happened. The birds stayed out, even coming to the
ends of branches and the tops of shrubs. Many began to bathe in the wet
leaves, some just sat still and let the rain soak into their feathers. The
garden was alive with featherd bathers, catching every drop they could on
backs, heads and wings.

The best bather award goes to a male cardinal who chose to perch on a
garden trellis. He raised both wings and alternately leaned side to side
letting the rain soak his "wing pits"!

It was a magical thing to see and ended all too quickly. A communal moment
between usual rivals for food and feeder space.

Shannon Burner
New Creek, Mineral County

Back to top
Date: 7/7/24 5:11 am
From: Bruni <bruni...>
Subject: Yard birds

Date: 7/6/24 5:40 pm
From: Mike Griffith <birdonawire47...>
Subject: Least Sandpipers
Janet Keating and I found 12 Least Sandpipers at R.C. Byrd Locks (Mason Co.).

Mike Griffith
Huntington

Back to top
Date: 7/6/24 11:06 am
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - Bertha Campground, Bluestone WMA, Jul 6, 2024
Date: 7/4/24 2:10 pm
From: Mike Griffith <birdonawire47...>
Subject: Migrant Shorebirds
In Mason Co. today, Janet Keating and I found a Least Sandpiper (Byrd Locks) and 2 Short-billed Dowitchers (Crab Creek). Most likely these were very early south-bound migrants.

Mike Griffith

Back to top
Date: 7/3/24 5:35 pm
From: Bruni <bruni...>
Subject: Bathing beauties
Watching the birds makes this awful heat somewhat tolerable.  The special treat yesterday was a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher.  He'd showed up briefly last week too.  Such a crisp little bird.  On the way home from our walk last night we saw two Kingbirds on my neighbor's tree.  When they flew to another tree they hovered in the air, reminiscent of Kestrels.  Guess that helps catching bugs.

The dark spot in the road up ahead tonight  turned out to be the turkey who wanders the neighborhood.

The coolest thing this afternoon was seeing two young Hairy woodpeckers getting some seed from the tray.  Until now I've only seen adults.  Such perfect little replicas of their parents only smaller.  The Downeys are always fun to watch, especially as they try to get the hang of the hummingbird feeder.  They are ashen looking compared to the adults.

Bruni Haydl
Jefferson Co

⁣Get BlueMail for Android ​

Back to top
Date: 7/3/24 1:57 pm
From: laura ceperley <ceperleylau...>
Subject: July bird outings in Canaan
Happy July! Have a safe holiday and come to Canaan — All are welcome on the upcoming bird outings in Tucker County starting this Saturday morning at Blackwater Falls SP: Laura Ceperley

At Blackwater Falls State Park (Visit the BWF State Park Foundation’s page at WVSPF.org for more activities from spiders to trees to bears to…)
July 6 (Saturday), 8 -10 AM, from the “overflow” parking lot near the Falls. Bird walk: An 1-2 mile stroll on pavement and packed trails. This walk will be held on “first Saturdays” this summer (July 6, Aug 3, Sept 7).

At Canaan Valley National Wildlife Refuge - (Visit the CVNWR facebook page for updates and more activities.)
July 6 (Saturday), 10 am, meet at CVNWR Visitor Center. What’s blooming? An easy walk looking for flowers and other things. This is repeated on “1st Saturdays” this summer (July 6, Aug 3, Sept 7).
July 13 (Saturday), 8-10 AM, Beall parking lot off Cortland Road. Bird walk: An easy 2-3 mile stroll on packed trails. This walk is repeated on “2nd Saturdays” this summer (July 13, Aug 10, and Sept 14)

Back to top
Date: 7/2/24 4:18 pm
From: Alex <000000123b41a47c-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Dowitcher
There was a Long-billed Dowitcher at Stauffer's Marsh in Berkeley County this afternoon.  Some poor photos here:  https://ebird.org/checklist/S184998576
Many thanks again to Stauffer Miller for his kind donation of this property.  It is a gift that keeps on giving!
- Alex TsiatsosBerkeley County

Back to top
Date: 7/2/24 9:50 am
From: Terry Bronson <birdsbybronson...>
Subject: Male Blue Grosbeak in Wood County
At 11:00 am at entrance to Belleville Locks and Dam, between railroad
crossing and small white shed a couple of hundred feet past Dam access road.

No mobile access at Belleville, so just now back in range to send alert.

Terry Bronson
Marietta, OH

Back to top
Date: 7/1/24 5:15 pm
From: LeJay Graffious <lejaygraffious...>
Subject: Osprey-Bald Eagle sighting
Amy Hill and I had an encounter today that may be common on the Chesapeake
Bay, but not over Old Hemlock. While we were on the trails in a two old
wildlife cut marking the invasive Tree of Heaven for eradication, we had an
unusual encounter. According to the WVDNR webpage, this tree is a top
invasive species of concern: "Tree-of-heaven (Ailanthus altissima) ranks as
one of the most significant threats to timberland in the state, already
invading thousands of acres of forestland. Once established, it forms
impenetrable thickets and prevents native trees from growing back."

As we were finishing up the survey, we heard an osprey call. This is a
very unusual bird for Old Hemlock with no ponds. The osprey lifted and
flew directly overhead. It was close enough that I could identify a large
sunfish in its talons. Within seconds we heard a bald eagle scream and
witnessed it trying to steal the "Catch of the Day" from the osprey.

Just another example of the joys of being aware of the natural world
around us.

LeJay Graffious
Bruceton Mills
Preston County

--
LeJay Graffious
Administrator

Back to top
Date: 7/1/24 5:03 pm
From: Casey Rucker <autoblock...>
Subject: First baby grosbeak of the season (Tucker)
Hi, all,

Right on schedule, I watched a dad feed his fledgling Rose-breasted Grosbeak
at the feeders today. Many babies in the yard as well as raptors:
Sharp-shinned Hawk quietly flew through today and a Barred Owl is calling
right now.

Good birding,

Casey Rucker

Dry Fork, WV

Back to top
Date: 6/25/24 9:31 am
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: Fwd: eBird Report - Brush Creek Falls SP, Jun 25, 2024
Date: 6/21/24 2:47 pm
From: Bruni <bruni...>
Subject: How cool was that?
No pun intended.  A flicker showed up for a drink of water and, next thing you know, he's taking a full-fledged bath.  Soaked to the skin.  I can't remember seeing one ever do that before.  He was followed by a male and female Baltimore oriole, male Indigo Bunting, cardinals, as well as two grackles.  My gray catbirds must be the cleanest ones in the neighborhood.  They are constantly bathing.  So cute to see them feed their offspring too.

Last week a Blue Grosbeak paid a visit.  He was on the rim of the pedestal bath with his back to me.  No mistaking that size, purplish blue color and brown wings.  I've also seen a female Indigo bunting at the groundbath.  Their different shade of brown and the two-tone bill makes them easy to identify.  Last night the pair of Towhees also showed up.

Finally saw a young cardinal.  Just now a Great Crested swooped in. Love that puffy head.  I'm sitting in front of my bedroom window watching the bird show only 15 ft away.

The new yard bird was another visit from the Red-eyed Vireo.

Bruni Haydl
Charles Town

Baltimore

⁣Get BlueMail for Android ​